PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Maryland Prospects?

WMD
05-03-2007, 09:51 PM
They seem to churn out a Quick-Rising Freak every once in a while.. Vernon Davis and Shawne Merriman for example.. Are they going to have one this year?

Is Jared Gaither it, or do they have a player or two ready to jump up draft boards with their freakish skills?

ERU, I'm looking at you.....

Smokey Joe
05-03-2007, 09:52 PM
Dre Moore.

draftguru151
05-03-2007, 09:58 PM
Like mentioned Dre Moore, 6-4 310, 4.8 40.

Derrius Heyward-Bey is freakishly fast. Erin Henderson is very athletic, not sure if he is freakish though.

bored of education
05-03-2007, 09:59 PM
DHB is crazy sick

P-L
05-03-2007, 10:03 PM
Joey Haynos has some good measurables. He's a guy to look out for.

WMD
05-03-2007, 10:04 PM
I'm waiting for ERU to come in and school us all on some Terp knowledge.

BLACKnGOLD
05-03-2007, 10:12 PM
Haynos is awesome. Moore is a freak. Gaither is the biggest underacheiver on the squad.

ElectricEye
05-03-2007, 10:16 PM
Yeah, I would like some perspective from a Maryland guy on some of their prospects.
Darrius Heyward-Bey looks great. Watched him tear up Miami last year. Beat them by himself basically.

-black
05-03-2007, 10:27 PM
what exactly happened with Wes Jefferson?

bored of education
05-03-2007, 10:52 PM
ERU is on the juice. Hence his posting performance.

nobodyinparticular
05-04-2007, 01:08 AM
ERU is on the juice. Hence his posting performance.

ERU's got nothing on me.

<3 you ERU ;-)

BLACKnGOLD
05-04-2007, 01:23 AM
what exactly happened with Wes Jefferson?

He graduated and quit football to become a state cop.

mikehop05
05-04-2007, 02:42 AM
cmon now, i goto umd... i think i know more than ERU

along with dre moore, gaither, henderson (great athelete, not a freak though), and the fast darrius heyward bey,

also TE jason goode, fastest, strongest TE and had a 37" VJ in 06, only 6'3" but watch out for him

Solomon
05-04-2007, 10:46 AM
Christian Varner might not get much pub but he is a good safety prospect in what is expected to be a weak class. While not a physical freak he should put up some good combine numbers, probably a 38 inch vert and a 40 time in the mid to high 4.4 range. He's instinctive, physical, smart and a guy to keep an eye out for.

bored of education
05-04-2007, 10:52 AM
cmon now, i goto umd... i think i know more than ERU

along with dre moore, gaither, henderson (great athelete, not a freak though), and the fast darrius heyward bey,

also TE jason goode, fastest, strongest TE and had a 37" VJ in 06, only 6'3" but watch out for him

Ohhh PAHHHLEASE!! ERU will bite off your head and you know the rest.

ccB
05-04-2007, 11:05 AM
Heyward- Bey, Dre Moore, Gathier, and Erin Henderson (better version of his brother) will be the ones to watch this year. Wait until next year when Antwine Perez (safety transfer from USC) comes in and starts laying out people. The dude is a stud and is heavily compared to Ronnie Lott. Also when Josh Portis gets his shot to start at QB (probably year after next) he will be very fun to watch. The terps have alot of promise for next year. I think if Heyward-Bey has a Robert Meachem type season he can move into the 1st round and its very possible because the dude is a burner and hes still got size at 6'3. I wouldnt be suprised if he ran a sub 4.4 40. Heyward-Beys draft stock is gonna rely on Jordan Steffey our QB who will be our new starting QB.

The safest bet for a freak athlete in the 1st round is Gathier though, the man is a monster. I think the true workout warrior will be Dre Moore though, look for him to light the combine up like Merriman and Davis did.

bored of education
05-04-2007, 11:11 AM
Heyward-Bey is very solid. I think he is more like a Bowe size wise and might be a touch bigger. If he gets about 1200 receiving yards, 8 tds I'd label him late 1st rounder for sure.

mikehop05
05-04-2007, 01:00 PM
yeah DHB is really the total package, he has the speed and size to become a first round WR

if he stays til his senior year i wouldnt be surprised to see him as a top 16 pick

BroadwayJoe10
05-04-2007, 01:04 PM
Heyward- Bey, Dre Moore, Gathier, and Erin Henderson (better version of his brother) will be the ones to watch this year. Wait until next year when Antwine Perez (safety transfer from USC) comes in and starts laying out people. The dude is a stud and is heavily compared to Ronnie Lott. Also when Josh Portis gets his shot to start at QB (probably year after next) he will be very fun to watch. The terps have alot of promise for next year. I think if Heyward-Bey has a Robert Meachem type season he can move into the 1st round and its very possible because the dude is a burner and hes still got size at 6'3. I wouldnt be suprised if he ran a sub 4.4 40. Heyward-Beys draft stock is gonna rely on Jordan Steffey our QB who will be our new starting QB.

The safest bet for a freak athlete in the 1st round is Gathier though, the man is a monster. I think the true workout warrior will be Dre Moore though, look for him to light the combine up like Merriman and Davis did.

Exactly. I saw a bunch of the maryland games last year and actually got to go down on the field cause my buddy is an AT there. I saw Gathier walk by me, and the mans a freakin mountain. It's like Shaq threw on football pads. I also remember seeing the dlineman run and saying to my buddy that these guys weigh almost twice what i do, and are almost as fast. He then points to Moore and says, "he is faster." Crab cakes and football, apparantly its what maryland does to ya.

mikehop05
05-04-2007, 01:08 PM
Crab cakes and football, apparantly its what maryland does to ya.

ya damn right!

now just throw some old bay on everything

Moses
05-04-2007, 01:36 PM
Roid U (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqZsg8EJQb4) ;)

I'm higher on Gaither than most. I think he'll end up being a sure-fire 1st rounder, probably in the top half. I could easily see him competing with Baker and Long to be the first OT selected.

ElectricEye
05-04-2007, 01:46 PM
Roid U (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqZsg8EJQb4) ;)

I'm higher on Gaither than most. I think he'll end up being a sure-fire 1st rounder, probably in the top half. I could easily see him competing with Baker and Long to be the first OT selected.

Yeah, I'm with you on Gaither. Probably the most talented offensive linemen in college right now. The guys truly massive.

mikehop05
05-04-2007, 02:16 PM
hopefully gaither even plays next year

hes "been excused from spring practice to focus on his academics"

aka right now he is ineligible for next year

SeanTaylorRIP
05-04-2007, 02:20 PM
Heyward-Bey is very solid. I think he is more like a Bowe size wise and might be a touch bigger. If he gets about 1200 receiving yards, 8 tds I'd label him late 1st rounder for sure.

You are right about him having potential to be Bowe's size but he is arguably the fastest Receiver in college football, ran a 4.3 coming in will probably test under 4.3 at the combine, not often a 6-2/6-3" player runs a sub 4.3

ccB
05-04-2007, 02:32 PM
Crab cakes and football, apparantly its what maryland does to ya.

Its only fitting that I am having Crab Cakes for dinner tonight!

ElectricEye
05-04-2007, 02:40 PM
hopefully gaither even plays next year

hes "been excused from spring practice to focus on his academics"

aka right now he is ineligible for next year

Didn't know that. I was wondering why he wasn't listed on their roster.

mikehop05
05-04-2007, 02:51 PM
yeah he was never the smartest cookie

he hada goto hargrave military academy i believe... dont quote me on that though

skinzzfan25
05-04-2007, 04:12 PM
Josh Portis in two years, maybe this year will emerge :)

CPs cousin I believe :P

Edit: He's a QB

mikehop05
05-04-2007, 06:39 PM
JP is struggling right now in training camp getting down the offense...

as of now it looks like steffy has the job

Jonny
05-04-2007, 10:22 PM
For all the talent Maryland has, it's strange how they can't really put it together. Probably because of the QB. I hope they don't find one before they come to Piscataway.

draftguru151
05-04-2007, 10:39 PM

With Moore and Pressley next year people are going to flip when two 300 pounders run in the 4.8s. Gaither too. Wow.

mikehop05
05-05-2007, 03:04 AM
For all the talent Maryland has, it's strange how they can't really put it together. Probably because of the QB. I hope they don't find one before they come to Piscataway.

yea our QB always brings us down

ccB
05-05-2007, 11:08 AM
yea our QB always brings us down

Hopefully Steffey can step up big time. I dont think Portis is ready to be a starter yet but when he gets his chance he will be nothing short of exciting.

mikehop05
05-05-2007, 01:45 PM
Hopefully Steffey can step up big time. I dont think Portis is ready to be a starter yet but when he gets his chance he will be nothing short of exciting.

yeah i think steffy gets the start this year... depending on how he does / we do portis may come in half way through... but honestly i think we do pretty well this year, and steffy keeps his job and has a decent year

ChefMike
05-06-2007, 09:13 AM
You are right about him having potential to be Bowe's size but he is arguably the fastest Receiver in college football, ran a 4.3 coming in will probably test under 4.3 at the combine, not often a 6-2/6-3" player runs a sub 4.3

DHB is going to be a workout Freak... only problem he will have is that he needs to goto a Team that can continue his coaching if he went to a Team like St. Louis or Indy where he can learn from great veterans like Holt, Bruce, Harrison and learn to utilize his freakish speed he will be a Pro Bowler... but he could end up like a Troy Williamson or an Ashley Lelie.
One thing is for sure he showed up to UMD as a super athlete and Ralph Friedgen is turning him into a 1st round prospect !

I just hope no NFL Team ever finds a home for Friedgen except maybe the Ravens !!! He has an eye for Talent and developing great athletes into Football players..

marks01234
05-07-2007, 10:28 PM
With Moore and Pressley next year people are going to flip when two 300 pounders run in the 4.8s. Gaither too. Wow.

Gaither isn't a 4.8 guy. He's a massive man who is a good athlete but nothing earth-shaking. His Hargrave combine numbers were greatly inflated.

UMD does have a fanastic strenght and conditioning program.

neko4
05-07-2007, 11:29 PM
Josh Wilson: 4.3
Vernon Davis: 4.39
Gerrick McPherson: 4.2 (speaking of him where is he now CFL, AFL?)
Maryland's got all the speedy athletes.

YAYareaRB
05-07-2007, 11:33 PM
Darius Heyward Bey is BEASTLY!

EdReedUnstoppable
05-09-2007, 02:20 AM
I went to High School with Jason Goode for his couple years at Archbishop Curley before he transferred I was a year ahead of him, and I believe he has always been talented but always disappears on game days so unless he can change that dont look for him to be the next UMD freak.

Derrius Heyward-Bey is a Top 15 pick if he continues to progress, he has everything size, blazing speed, great hands, needs to work on route running a bit.

Jeremy Navarre could be a very good tweener DE/OLB I would love to see him in Ravens purple in a few years cause he fits our defense very well.

Keon Lattimore If Ralph would ever let him be the #1 RB would be amazing, he has great speed, great hands, awesome in the open field, and can pound it in between the tackles.

EdReedUnstoppable
05-09-2007, 02:23 AM

Portis will get a shot after Steffy fails miserably, and I think Portis will be like Vince Young where he'll take games over because of his speed and ability to make big pays with both his arm and legs. And they'll dumby down the playbook until he learns it.

go_ravens94
05-09-2007, 08:30 AM
Awesome analysis, ERU. Crab cakes forever!