PDA

View Full Version : Raiders Might Hire Mike Mayock

Number 10
05-03-2007, 11:31 PM
Raiders | Team to hire Mayock?
Thu, 3 May 2007 19:58:48 -0700

Jerry McDonald, of ANG Newspapers, reports the NFL Network's Mike Mayock could be a serious candidate to become a personnel executive with the Oakland Raiders. Mayock could replace Mike Lombardi, who was involved in a rift with former head coach Art Shell in 2006

Do you guys think he could get the job done? Should he wait until another offer comes from a team with an owner not named Al Davis?

sweetness34
05-03-2007, 11:33 PM
Mayock is a great evaluator of talent IMO. Love his work and yes I do think he'd succeed with the Raiders. Although I'll be pissed if he leaves the NFL Network.

RaiderNation
05-03-2007, 11:33 PM
i hope we get him

PalmerToCJ
05-03-2007, 11:36 PM
I don't see him making that much more in terms of cash in Oakland than over at NFLN.

Xonraider
05-03-2007, 11:36 PM
Al, make this happen.

JT Jag
05-03-2007, 11:39 PM
This is why Mayock is better then Mel "I use WAY too much hair gel" Kiper.

Kiper doesn't get NFL job offers.

If he gets a job as director of college scouting for the team--- effectively putting him in charge of gathering all information the team would use for the draft, which is what he does now anyway--- all power to him.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-03-2007, 11:46 PM

Well, to be fair, Mayock is a football guy. He was a college player, he was drafted into the NFL, etc.

Kiper was a teenager who mailed a bunch of draft rankings to all the teams and get a name that way. Also, he has been allegedly offered jobs, he just turned them down.

Number 10
05-03-2007, 11:57 PM
Kiper has more job security, and makes more money than any GM out there.

Why would he want to leave?

I could see Mayock going because he has been involved with the actual game before.

DChess
05-04-2007, 12:56 AM

If he gets a job as director of college scouting for the team--- effectively putting him in charge of gathering all information the team would use for the draft, which is what he does now anyway--- all power to him.

how do you know he hadn't got any offers. i doubt teams even try anymore, he has a great job and gets paid millions. ill bet he had been offered some type of job before

Shiver
05-04-2007, 04:28 AM
Mayock is a son of a coach, and played in the NFL. Not to mention he's nailed quite a few predictions in a brief stint as a TV draft analyst.

neko4
05-04-2007, 04:41 AM
Did Mike Mayock report this himself?

Splat
05-04-2007, 08:14 AM
Did Mike Mayock report this himself?

That would be kinda funny I have breaking news about myself so stay tuned.

liquidswords
05-04-2007, 08:21 AM
I think Rod Woodson should join their front office.

bsaza2358
05-04-2007, 08:59 AM
I like Mayock's TV work, but I'm not sure if his analyst work on NFLN will directly translate out to doing personnel work on an NFL team. I liked what he did during the combine, and he seemed to know his stuff. If the Raiders think he can do the job, he might as well take it.

myinnerself
05-04-2007, 09:05 AM
Kiper has more job security, and makes more money than any GM out there.

Why would he want to leave?

I could see Mayock going because he has been involved with the actual game before.

If you are a talent evaluator your dream is to work for an NFL organization, period. Also, I'm really not sure he makes more money than any GM out there. And about Mel's job security, it looks to me like they are involving this Mcshay guy more to phase out Mel.

Vince Lombardi
05-04-2007, 09:18 AM
If you are a talent evaluator your dream is to work for an NFL organization, period. Also, I'm really not sure he makes more money than any GM out there. And about Mel's job security, it looks to me like they are involving this Mcshay guy more to phase out Mel.

Yea, rumor has it that this was Kiper's last draft for ESPN. ESPN almost let him walk at their last contract negotiations with him, and (I'm not positive) but I think his contract is up this year again. It seems that they're grooming McShay to take over as their draft guru, which would leave Kiper free to go to NFLN if he so chooses, especially if Mayock leaves for the Raiders.

bigbluedefense
05-04-2007, 09:38 AM
Is Mike Mayock really that good?

DI
05-04-2007, 09:45 AM
Mayock knows his stuff. I think he does a great job come draft time on his evaluations.

Larry
05-04-2007, 12:05 PM
This would be a great Hire for the Raiders.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
05-04-2007, 12:09 PM
This indeed would be a great hire.

Mayock definitely knows his stuff and would do very well.

I'd hate it though, because I like him on NFLN.

portermvp84
05-04-2007, 04:18 PM
Al open the check book.

Boston
05-04-2007, 04:37 PM
Yea, rumor has it that this was Kiper's last draft for ESPN. ESPN almost let him walk at their last contract negotiations with him, and (I'm not positive) but I think his contract is up this year again. It seems that they're grooming McShay to take over as their draft guru, which would leave Kiper free to go to NFLN if he so chooses, especially if Mayock leaves for the Raiders.

Oh god. Mcshay has absolutely no idea what he's talking about.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
05-04-2007, 04:40 PM

Yep, It's embarassing he gets so much air time.

BigDawg819
05-04-2007, 05:09 PM
I love watching NFL Live when they have the split screen with Kiper and McShay. You known Mel just wants to rip him a new one.

Vince Lombardi
05-04-2007, 10:55 PM

Yea, it would pretty much make NFLN the only way to go for draft coverage.

The Unseen
05-05-2007, 06:38 AM
Well, to be fair, Mayock is a football guy. He was a college player, he was drafted into the NFL, etc.

Kiper was a teenager who mailed a bunch of draft rankings to all the teams and get a name that way. Also, he has been allegedly offered jobs, he just turned them down.

Interesting. Wikipedia says that he's never played high school football...of course, that is followed by "citation needed."

Geo
05-05-2007, 11:49 AM
If Matt Millen can get a job as he did, then so can Mayock imo.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-05-2007, 03:19 PM
Interesting. Wikipedia says that he's never played high school football...of course, that is followed by "citation needed."

Who...Kiper? I don't think he ever played any organized football. Mayock was draft by the Steelers in 1981 in the 10th round or something like that.

portermvp84
05-05-2007, 08:03 PM
It's good that he actually has some expierence.