PDA

View Full Version : Fighting depression

Phrost
05-04-2007, 01:44 AM
I have been debating in my mind if I am suffering from depression or just "the blues", it has been going on for a while now, telling my parents isn't really an option, I attempted it and they refused to accept it. I am thinking it was inherited.
My grandfather, who I never met, suffered from clinical depression that disabled him for days at a time, which I think affected my dad heavily which is why he tries to get my acceptance that he never really experienced. My dad also suffered from very minor depression.
I being a very conscience believer in not taking prescriptions for such things leaves me with out an answer.
Anywhoo, What do you guys think I should do?

tEk
05-04-2007, 01:47 AM
seek professional help man... internet forums are not for this type of thing. try http://www.webmd.com (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/www.webmd.com)

Phrost
05-04-2007, 01:48 AM
seek professional help man... internet forums are not for this type of thing. try www.webmd.com (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/www.webmd.com)

I don't think talking to someone that charges me $150 + an hour for help would treat this.
Thanks for the great info.
:rolleyes:

Caddy
05-04-2007, 01:48 AM
Why would you ask people in an online football forum about a serious medical condition?

Paranoidmoonduck
05-04-2007, 01:49 AM
Well, I'd talk to a doctor. If you're really against taking medicine for this, I suppose it's your prerogative, but if it is clinical depression then the only way to correct that imbalance is with medication.

snuff
05-04-2007, 01:49 AM
I probably have depression. I don't see how you couldn't after living in this world and being on this forum.

BigDawg819
05-04-2007, 01:50 AM
Why would you ask people in an online football forum about a serious medical condition?

To invite ridicule, scorn, and negative rep?

tEk
05-04-2007, 01:51 AM
I don't think talking to someone that charges me $150 + an hour for help would treat this.
Thanks for the great info.
:rolleyes:if your parents have medical insurance for you. i'm sure they do. insurance should pay for the majority of your bills. plus there are psychologist/therapists who charged substantially less than that. or if you are so worried about cash admit yourself to the local psyc clinic.

Caddy
05-04-2007, 01:51 AM
To invite ridicule, scorn, and negative rep?

Ah, touche'.

Phrost
05-04-2007, 01:54 AM
I was on here searching the off topic forum, pulling an all nighter, and starting getting that feeling. Nothing better to do but ask.

Guess I know where not to go when seeking a couple of answers.

P.S. Not suicidal lol.

duckseason
05-04-2007, 01:55 AM
I have been debating in my mind if I am suffering from depression or just "the blues", it has been going on for a while now, telling my parents isn't really an option, I attempted it and they refused to accept it. I am thinking it was inherited.
My grandfather, who I never met, suffered from clinical depression that disabled him for days at a time, which I think affected my dad heavily which is why he tries to get my acceptance that he never really experienced. My dad also suffered from very minor depression.
I being a very conscience believer in not taking prescriptions for such things leaves me with out an answer.
IMHO, if you aren't feeling depression at least part of the time, then you are an ignorant person. It's nearly impossible to avoid it in today's world. Especially for people with accurate awareness. Just try your best to realize that it's just the f'd up world we live in, and nothing to do with you. People like to give names and prescriptions for "disorders," that are actually just natural human characteristics. You're probably just a sensitive person. Nothing wrong with that. I too, try my best to avoid prescription drugs whenever possible. One suggestion I have would be to go out and sweat. Work out, play basketball, walk a few miles....Something that will release endorphins. It really helps to relieve stress and generally make you feel your best. Try to find the things you enjoy most in life, and try to focus the bulk of your energy on those things. Oh yeah, and make sure you are eating healthy, and sleeping properly. If you have trouble with insomnia, I have a few suggestions for that as well.

BigDawg819
05-04-2007, 01:55 AM
I was on here searching the off topic forum, pulling an all nighter, and starting getting that feeling. Nothing better to do but ask.

P.S. Not suicidal lol.

This post doesn't even deserve the pleasure of my sarcasm. Grow up and get over it.

Phrost
05-04-2007, 01:57 AM
IMHO, if you aren't feeling depression at least part of the time, then you are an ignorant person. It's nearly impossible to avoid it in today's world. Especially for people with accurate awareness. Just try your best to realize that it's just the f'd up world we live in, and nothing to do with you. People like to give names and prescriptions for "disorders," that are actually just natural human characteristics. You're probably just a sensitive person. Nothing wrong with that. I too, try my best to avoid prescription drugs whenever possible. One suggestion I have would be to go out and sweat. Work out, play basketball, walk a few miles....Something that will release endorphins. It really helps to relieve stress and generally make you feel your best. Try to find the things you enjoy most in life, and try to focus the bulk of your energy on those things. Oh yeah, and make sure you are eating healthy, and sleeping properly. If you have trouble with insomnia, I have a few suggestions for that as well.

Thanks for the suggestions, they had a point and weren't malicious.

Phrost
05-04-2007, 01:59 AM
This post doesn't even deserve the pleasure of my sarcasm. Grow up and get over it.

Ok douche bag, your sarcasm isn't wanted and is poorly delivered so take it somewhere else.

BigDawg819
05-04-2007, 02:05 AM
Ok douche bag, your sarcasm isn't wanted and is poorly delivered so take it somewhere else.

Go cry in your basement until you get the courage to find the emo trend. Poorly delivered, have you actually read the garbage you post?

Phrost
05-04-2007, 02:09 AM
Go cry in your basement until you get the courage to find the emo trend. Poorly delivered, have you actually read the garbage you post?

No, I don't think I will go emo mainly because I am not trendy and I do not want to be a bisexual piece of **** looking for attention by inflicting injury on myself. Thats the jyst of it though. I would like to think that I read the trash I post. :rolleyes:

BigDawg819
05-04-2007, 02:09 AM

Quit crying and do some pushups!

Paranoidmoonduck
05-04-2007, 02:11 AM
http://sithoughts.mu.nu/archives/trainwreck.jpg

frogstomp
05-04-2007, 02:17 AM

It depends. Depression can indeed run in the family. A depression is considered "the blues" that last over a couple weeks. Are you easily put into a good mood again, or do things that normally would cheer you up make you happy for a second or two, but then you feel depressed again? Also, do you have any reason for feeling depressed?

Anyways, if it continues, it's quite likely a chemical imbalance in your brain, which could very likely be treated with medicine. Also, where do you live? You may just be suffering from a bit of seasonal affective disorder, which should clear up now that winter is over.

But yeah, seeing a psychologist isn't a huge recommendation, as they only actually help around 1/3 of patients... but if your depression continues, and it is indeed a chemical imbalance, then they would be a good route into getting some medication which would more than likely help you (I won't lie, depending on the medication or problem you have, there may be side effects... anything that messes with the chemicals in your brain produce side effects. However, for most people the positive outweighs the negative).

TitleTown088
05-04-2007, 02:23 AM
Star hanging out with Jim Beam and Johnny Walker.

BTW Frogstomp I thought you " retired"? Flip flopper.

ChewyRaven318
05-04-2007, 02:25 AM
lol..at this entire thread.

Xiomera
05-04-2007, 08:36 AM
This thread is depressing . . .

diabsoule
05-04-2007, 09:11 AM
I think you don't need to air out your such personal matters on a sports forum on the internet. Go talk to a school counselor or someone who would know more about diagnosing what is wrong with you other than some people, even if they are interested, on an internet forum.

ricky bobby
05-04-2007, 09:18 AM
Doing physical activities helps depression. My suggestion is to get off the internet and go play some hoops, take a jog, or workout. If you don't feel like going out, go out. I split wood as a physical activity, that really helps.

drowe
05-04-2007, 09:21 AM
i'm a believer that "depression" comes from being bored and stuck in a routine. my advice is change something in your life. try something new or make a new friend, bang a new chick.

bored of education
05-04-2007, 09:21 AM
heres some + rep to get you on or feet phrost, hope that helps

ccB
05-04-2007, 09:27 AM
Does it have anything to do with your poor reputation?

ricky bobby
05-04-2007, 09:29 AM
Does it have anything to do with your poor reputation?
Internet posters can be so cruel sometimes. Mommmmyyyyy.

Splat
05-04-2007, 09:31 AM
Go to church.

LitoSheppard
05-04-2007, 09:46 AM

I do not know how to talk like a civilized human being therefor my opinion does not matter. Sorry for being ignorant.

ElectricEye
05-04-2007, 10:20 AM

P.S. Not suicidal lol.

Wow. I'm not touching this one. I think we have a pretty clear cut case of emo disease here.

BigDawg819
05-04-2007, 12:33 PM
I do not know how to talk like a civilized human being therefor my opinion does not matter. Sorry for being ignorant.

This right here is a case of someone thinking they have an intelligent comeback but frankly its just a poor and futile attempt. Congrats on the infraction! ;)

LitoSheppard
05-04-2007, 01:18 PM
This right here is a case of someone thinking they have an intelligent comeback but frankly its just a poor and futile attempt. Congrats on the infraction! ;)

Yep, i got internet pwned!:rolleyes:

-black
05-04-2007, 02:23 PM
seriously

listen to this song, helped when I was dealing with depression

flame - 10 wars of the mind feat. j.r..mp3 - 6.91MB (http://www.zshare.net/audio/flame-10-wars-of-the-mind-feat-j-r-mp3-730.html)

Phrost
05-04-2007, 02:23 PM
Wow. I'm not touching this one. I think we have a pretty clear cut case of emo disease here.

No emo here.

yourfavestoner
05-04-2007, 03:44 PM

Or take some thizzles. That'll get the endorphins going.

BigDawg819
05-04-2007, 04:47 PM

I'm pretty sure you're pwned in life and your internet posts are a reflection of that.

soybean
05-04-2007, 05:01 PM

why are you trying to act so tough, dude?

BigDawg819
05-04-2007, 05:01 PM

I'm pretty sure you're pwned in life and your internet posts are a reflection of that.

someone447
05-04-2007, 07:05 PM
Look, to all you ******* who told him to just grow up and get over it. **** YOU!!! If you havent been depressed you don't know how bad it actually is. Depression is hell, just letting anyone know, even if you don't know them helps. It is much harder to talk to friends, family, or someone you know about it. It makes you feel weak, like you can't deal with your problems on your own.

I got over my depression in a way that was not the best idea. I used illegal drugs, and they opened my brain to different ways of thinking. They helped me realize i was depressed for absolutely no reason, and that I could control my own emotions. I know what i did wasn't the best way, it was probably very dangerous, but I knew full well what I was getting into.

Depression isn't a sometime thing. It is an all the time thing. Feeling "depressed" for a couple days because something happened is normal. Feeling like life isn't worth living isn't normal. I was never suicidal, but I did think how much easier it would be to be dead.

Get help for it, it will make you feel much better. It will make you feel again.

Matthew Jones
05-04-2007, 08:19 PM
No, I don't think I will go emo mainly because I am not trendy and I do not want to be a bisexual piece of **** looking for attention by inflicting injury on myself. Thats the jyst of it though. I would like to think that I read the trash I post. :rolleyes:

Wow, at first I sympathized with your initial post, but after reading that, I have lost all respect for you.

ny10804
05-04-2007, 08:25 PM
Remember when everyone thought Chris had committed suicide? Good times.

etk
05-04-2007, 08:26 PM
If you are unsure of your condition, you may want to search the symptoms on the internet and compare them to your situation. One of the earliest and most tell-tale signs of depression is poor sleep habits. If you have trouble falling asleep at night and more trouble waking up in the morning you are probably depressed to an extent.

There are plenty of lovely sugar pills on the market to make you feel better about yourself if you truly are depressed.

Phrost
05-04-2007, 09:06 PM
If you are unsure of your condition, you may want to search the symptoms on the internet and compare them to your situation. One of the earliest and most tell-tale signs of depression is poor sleep habits. If you have trouble falling asleep at night and more trouble waking up in the morning you are probably depressed to an extent.

There are plenty of lovely sugar pills on the market to make you feel better about yourself if you truly are depressed.

Well, I am currently going through that. When I posted this thread last night, I haven't slept yet.

Going on 3 days now...

Phrost
05-04-2007, 09:07 PM
Look, to all you ******* who told him to just grow up and get over it. **** YOU!!! If you havent been depressed you don't know how bad it actually is. Depression is hell, just letting anyone know, even if you don't know them helps. It is much harder to talk to friends, family, or someone you know about it. It makes you feel weak, like you can't deal with your problems on your own.

I got over my depression in a way that was not the best idea. I used illegal drugs, and they opened my brain to different ways of thinking. They helped me realize i was depressed for absolutely no reason, and that I could control my own emotions. I know what i did wasn't the best way, it was probably very dangerous, but I knew full well what I was getting into.

Depression isn't a sometime thing. It is an all the time thing. Feeling "depressed" for a couple days because something happened is normal. Feeling like life isn't worth living isn't normal. I was never suicidal, but I did think how much easier it would be to be dead.

Get help for it, it will make you feel much better. It will make you feel again.

Thanks much appreciated.

McBain
05-04-2007, 09:35 PM
Well, I am currently going through that. When I posted this thread last night, I haven't slept yet.

Going on 3 days now...

I'm calling ********. As a person who stays up for days on end do to my job i can say that's pretty difficult to do, especially if you are sitting down and posting on an internet forum. Smoke some weed.

someone447
05-04-2007, 10:08 PM
I'm calling ********. As a person who stays up for days on end do to my job i can say that's pretty difficult to do, especially if you are sitting down and posting on an internet forum. Smoke some weed.

You havent been depressed then. It does one of two things to you. Either you always sleep, or you cant sleep.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-04-2007, 10:12 PM
If he's really been up 72 straight hours, he wouldn't be typing nearly as well as he is. Staying up that long, small amounts of psychosis would be starting to manifest, no matter who you are.

doingthisinsteadofwork
05-04-2007, 10:36 PM
Are you still in HS?dont they have a school counselor for that or something.

someone447
05-04-2007, 10:51 PM
Are you still in HS?dont they have a school counselor for that or something.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, high school counselors are absolutely worthless, they are no more qualified to help with depression that I am. Not to mention, you don't want to talk to someone about it, it makes you feel like you are too weak to take care of yourself.

I am also sure that he exaggerated a little on the sleeping. He may have slept no more than an hour or two at a time.

Giantsrutgersfan
05-04-2007, 10:58 PM
someone447 turned his life around. He used to be depressed and miserable. Now he's miserable and depressed.

Don Vito
05-04-2007, 11:08 PM

http://medjeti.com/img/wahmbulance.jpg

Boston
05-04-2007, 11:09 PM
Now he makes jokes in pictures? And I thought it couldn't get any better.

BigDawg819
05-05-2007, 01:14 AM
someone447 turned his life around. He used to be depressed and miserable. Now he's miserable and depressed.

What happened to GRF!?

doingthisinsteadofwork
05-05-2007, 01:18 AM
Its Snuff.

BigDawg819
05-05-2007, 01:20 AM
Its Snuff.

Oh thank God, for a moment I thought the forum would be without garbage posts to bash and ridicule.

GiantRutgersFan
05-05-2007, 01:40 AM
yo dude whos that clown trying to pretend he's me????

As for this topic at hand, why not just be happy.... I mean live life to the fullest. I mean, its not even close to bad if you just put some effort in. I mean if your some fat lazy slob out there with nothing going on, then work out, go to college, put in the effort at work and do what it takes to get ahead.

I mean, IDK. how can someone be depressed like that? find a pretty girlfriend or somethning... Like tongith I had an awesome night and I cant see why people just cant enjoy life. Cause it rox

BigDawg819
05-05-2007, 01:42 AM

As for this topic at hand, why not just be happy.... I mean live life to the fullest. I mean, its not even close to bad if you just put some effort in. I mean if your some fat lazy slob out there with nothing going on, then work out, go to college, put in the effort at work and do what it takes to get ahead.

I mean, IDK. how can someone be depressed like that? find a pretty girlfriend or somethning... Like tongith I had an awesome night and I cant see why people just cant enjoy life. Cause it rox

Indeed how can someone be depressed? I mean at least your not GRF so at least have that going for you......

duckseason
05-05-2007, 02:10 AM

Sounds great in theory, but in reality if you become too absorbed in conscious thought you will inevitably become depressed to some degree. Happiness truly does require one to ignore much of what's going on around them. You really have to make a conscious effort to focus your energy on positive things, and some people just have a harder time than others finding those things. Truly meaningful experiences can be quite rare for some. Often times, people honestly wish they had never been brought into this mess. In fact, as much as I would love to have a kid someday, I think I've decided that it would be a cruel and selfish act to bring another person into this world. Life is slow death. Do any of you ever sit and wonder what that last moment will be like? Sure you do. We all do. What that last conscious thought will be? Will you be surprised? Will you even be aware that you're about to die? Will you s*** your pants? Will the lights just shut off? Will it be a gunshot wound? Disease? Slow death? Instant? I mean, how does it feel to know for a fact that you will die sooner than later? How do you cope with the fact that everything is meaningless? And that's just one of many subjects that can lead to deep depression. Something as small as a social exchange can send somebody into a deep funk. Watching the history or discovery channel can provoke depression. Looking out your damn window can set you off. I mean, it really does take a ton of effort to accept reality and make-believe like everything is ok. It's not a joke. Depression can be debilitating. And it's often extremely tough to talk about it if you're feeling it. It's not some strange disease. It's just a natural by-product of living in this f'd up world, and being astute enough to realize what's going on around you. Some s*** is just difficult to ignore.

BigDawg819
05-05-2007, 02:12 AM
Sounds great in theory, but in reality if you become too absorbed in conscious thought you will inevitably become depressed to some degree. Happiness truly does require one to ignore much of what's going on around them. You really have to make a conscious effort to focus your energy on positive things, and some people just have a harder time than others finding those things. Truly meaningful experiences can be quite rare for some. Often times, people honestly wish they had never been brought into this mess. In fact, as much as I would love to have a kid someday, I think I've decided that it would be a cruel and selfish act to bring another person into this world. Life is slow death. Do any of you ever sit and wonder what that last moment will be like? Sure you do. We all do. What that last conscious thought will be? Will you be surprised? Will you even be aware that you're about to die? Will you s*** your pants? Will the lights just shut off? Will it be a gunshot wound? Disease? Slow death? Instant? I mean, how does it feel to know for a fact that you will die sooner than later? How do you cope with the fact that everything is meaningless? And that's just one of many subjects that can lead to deep depression. Something as small as a social exchange can send somebody into a deep funk. Watching the history or discovery channel can provoke depression. Looking out your damn window can set you off. I mean, it really does take a ton of effort to accept reality and make-believe like everything is ok. It's not a joke. Depression can be debilitating. And it's often extremely tough to talk about it if you're feeling it. It's not some strange disease. It's just a natural by-product of living in this f'd up world, and being astute enough to realize what's going on around you. Some s*** is just difficult to ignore.

Is it wrong that this post cheered me up?

GiantRutgersFan
05-05-2007, 02:24 AM

uh what? serious dude.... dont be like that guy Cho or nothing....

BigDawg819
05-05-2007, 02:25 AM
uh what? serious dude.... dont be like that guy Cho or nothing....

He was serious dude, he stated the truth something I'm sure you are unfamiliar with since you still have a dream draft in your sig eventhough the draft was a week ago....

duckseason
05-05-2007, 02:29 AM
Is it wrong that this post cheered me up?
haha. Not at all my friend. Not at all. I'm sittin here enjoying some great brew, just got some head a little while ago, trying my best to do the things I love. Glad to cheer you up. I mean, you get what I'm saying though. For people who are enjoying life, it seems crazy that others could be experiencing such difficulty. For those deep in depression, they sometimes can't understand how folks can walk around with a smile on their face, oblivious to what's really going on. They feel like smacking their fat f'ing faces. It's all a matter of perspective. Some people are acutely aware, some are ignorant, and some have the ability to choose what they want to see. There are definite gray areas in there too, but those are the basic groups. I would assume that most of us fall into one or the other at different points in our lives. I know I have.

GiantRutgersFan
05-05-2007, 02:30 AM
He was serious dude, he stated the truth something I'm sure you are unfamiliar with since you still have a dream draft in your sig eventhough the draft was a week ago....

well you know what dude? its probably cause your so negative and trying to be witty and put others down.... I mean no offense, but unless your a real ass, someone is gonna be your friend so i dont see why you could not like that

BigDawg819
05-05-2007, 02:31 AM
well you know what dude? its probably cause your so negative and trying to be witty and put others down.... I mean no offense, but unless your a real ass, someone is gonna be your friend so i dont see why you could not like that

Your narrow minded and idiotic views in life will get you far in life I'm sure.

BigDawg819
05-05-2007, 02:33 AM
haha. Not at all my friend. Not at all. I'm sittin here enjoying some great brew, just got some head a little while ago, trying my best to do the things I love. Glad to cheer you up. I mean, you get what I'm saying though. For people who are enjoying life, it seems crazy that others could be experiencing such difficulty. For those deep in depression, they sometimes can't understand how folks can walk around with a smile on their face, oblivious to what's really going on. They feel like smacking their fat f'ing faces. It's all a matter of perspective. Some people are acutely aware, some are ignorant, and some have the ability to choose what they want to see. There are definite gray areas in there too, but those are the basic groups. I would assume that most of us fall into one or the other at different points in our lives. I know I have.

I hear you on all accounts and you speak the truth on many things people usually just avoid. Personally I would rather be depressed as opposed to something much worse in the form of apathy, for which regrettably I am in the midst of.

Windy
05-05-2007, 02:36 AM
GRF, wow. How do you come up with the stuff you post?

duckseason
05-05-2007, 02:37 AM
You're missing the point. People who feel this way from time to time are no different than you. Many have tons of friends, and others have no friends. That can have nothing to do with it, or everything to do with it. A lack of social life is only one of many causes of depression. Those things in life that you have found to be so great can be completely worthless to others. Not everybody values the same things. Just like not everybody is affected negatively by the same things. You and bigdawg could both experience the exact same event and come away with completely opposite impressions. And that is actually quite likely. So....

duckseason
05-05-2007, 02:42 AM
I hear you on all accounts and you speak the truth on many things people usually just avoid. Personally I would rather be depressed as opposed to something much worse in the form of apathy, for which regrettably I am in the midst of.
Yeah. I have a tough time with that. I feel a deep desire to "keep it real," but if I were to really, you know, really do that......you know what I mean. So apathy is often a necessary evil.

BigDawg819
05-05-2007, 02:44 AM
Yeah. I have a tough time with that. I feel a deep desire to "keep it real," but if I were to really, you know, really do that......you know what I mean. So apathy is often a necessary evil.

Actually I feel apathy is the worse because its better to care then not to care at all. And my apathy is due to some very trying times for myself and its to the point where I just don't care what happens anymore. For me that is worse the being depressed, at least when your depressed you try to fix things. With apathy I just don't care........

duckseason
05-05-2007, 02:51 AM
Actually I feel apathy is the worse because its better to care then not to care at all. And my apathy is due to some very trying times for myself and its to the point where I just don't care what happens anymore. For me that is worse the being depressed, at least when your depressed you try to fix things. With apathy I just don't care........
Yeah. I hear you. And I agree. It's a tough balance though. At least for me. I know for a fact that if I were to just go out and do everything that I though was right, that I would suffer extreme consequences. So it usually comes down to the whole "pick your battles wisely" thing. Sometimes I just have to "not care"......even though I do. This is a vast subject, so perhaps we are speaking on slightly different levels here. Generally, I agree with you. It's nearly impossible to avoid being justifiably apathetic from time to time though. Like I said, I think it's a necessary evil. (depending on your motivation I guess)

BigDawg819
05-05-2007, 02:54 AM
While I agree that apathy is a part of life, if it then becomes your way of life then that is a problem. Sadly that is the case but hey tomorrow/today is a new day with new hopes and promises I guess.

McBain
05-05-2007, 03:19 AM
All the real emo kids are dead.

BigDawg819
05-05-2007, 03:20 AM
All the real emo kids are dead.

Hooray!!! :D

nvot9
05-05-2007, 07:59 AM
Wow, some of you guys are a bunch of ******* assholes. This dude opens up to you all saying he's got a life threatening, emotional sickness called depression and all you guys do is call him a ***** or make fun of him...that will really help his problem.

I know a few people have said it already, but posting this on an NFL forum is really not the answer, no one here can give you good advice, except to go to a professional and get good advice. You need to stop hiding this from your parents, and don't say that it's not an option to tell them, because that's ridiculous. The only way you're going to beat this is by getting professional help and talking it out with someone, regardless of what YOUR personal perception of that is, there is no subsitute for it.

someone447
05-05-2007, 10:20 AM
duckseason, just because this is a cruel world doesn't mean that you have to be depressed. It doesn't mean you have to be ignorant to be happy either. In fact, I would make the argument I was more ignorant when I was depressed. Of course life is a slow death. Attack life, it is going to kill you anyway. It isn't the years in your life, its the life in your years. Another is a plaque my grandpa had, which after he died, I got to keep.
There was a cautio;us man
who never romped or played
he never smoked, he never drank
nor even kissed a maid.
But on the day he died
his insurance was denied.
For since he never lived,
they claimed he never died.

Once you stop living for other people, and begin just living for yourself, consequences be damned, it won't seem so horrible anymore. Personally, I would rather die young doing things I enjoy, rather than dying of old age because I never did anything fun. Like Redd Foxx said, health nuts are going to feel stupid laying in the hospital dying of nothing.

Depression is some ****** up disease. It is just as bad as cancer, or anything else. It is not a byproduct of living in this world any more than cancer is. You are not supposed to be depressed.

BigDawg819
05-05-2007, 11:36 AM
duckseason, just because this is a cruel world doesn't mean that you have to be depressed. It doesn't mean you have to be ignorant to be happy either. In fact, I would make the argument I was more ignorant when I was depressed. Of course life is a slow death. Attack life, it is going to kill you anyway. It isn't the years in your life, its the life in your years. Another is a plaque my grandpa had, which after he died, I got to keep.
There was a cautio;us man
who never romped or played
he never smoked, he never drank
nor even kissed a maid.
But on the day he died
his insurance was denied.
For since he never lived,
they claimed he never died.

Once you stop living for other people, and begin just living for yourself, consequences be damned, it won't seem so horrible anymore. Personally, I would rather die young doing things I enjoy, rather than dying of old age because I never did anything fun. Like Redd Foxx said, health nuts are going to feel stupid laying in the hospital dying of nothing.

Depression is some ****** up disease. It is just as bad as cancer, or anything else. It is not a byproduct of living in this world any more than cancer is. You are not supposed to be depressed.

That is one of the most ridiculous statements ever posted on this forum. Your are obviously young and naive so continue posting this nonsense if that makes you happy, but adults understand that life isn't a big party so live it up. Besides with that attitude your desire to die young you may not be around long enough to actually learn the ways of the world.

Boston
05-05-2007, 12:09 PM
GRF, wow. How do you come up with the stuff you post?

In other words: Don't you smell what's coming out of your ass?

TitleTown088
05-05-2007, 12:31 PM
I wish I could insert a sound clip of Van Halen- Jump in here.

Staubach12
05-05-2007, 01:47 PM

I think a lot of depression is made up. We are too diagnosis happy. I think half the people they say are depressed aren't. They just have boring lives or they're looking for attention. Clinical depression is serious though. I have it, as do several members of my family. If you're sad for no reason at all, and you tend to overreact to bad things while almost ignoring good things, you might be depressed. It comes and goes with me, so you might be the same way. In that case, I might seek help if it's really bad or if you're thinking about hurting someone (including yourself), otherwise I'd let it pass. I'm not a big fan of meds. However, if you're constantly depressed, and it's really bad then I would definately seek help.

Phrost
05-05-2007, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the advice(duck, nvot, and someone23423423...). Last night I got into an argument with my older brother about religion and politics, and I realized that those are two things that no matter how badly you can outwit someone in you can never change their minds. I am becoming a little too analytical I think. When people cannot see the truth or evidence in your statement or see the common sense I become belligerent and frustrated, this might be contributing to my problems.

someone447
05-05-2007, 02:00 PM
That is one of the most ridiculous statements ever posted on this forum. Your are obviously young and naive so continue posting this nonsense if that makes you happy, but adults understand that life isn't a big party so live it up. Besides with that attitude your desire to die young you may not be around long enough to actually learn the ways of the world.

Yes, living life for yourself rather than someone else is naive. Granted, I am only 20 years old. Nowhere did I say abandon your responsibilities. My entire point was to do what makes YOU happy. If that is naivety, then sign me up. Did I ever say life was one big party? No, thanks for putting words in my mouth though. It is possible to live your life in a way that isn't the expected way.

My desire to die young? So not wanting to live life being scared of what COULD happen means I want to die young? No, I said I would rather die young living the way that I want to live, then the way I am expected of. I guess Abraham Lincoln doesn't give very good advice though. Since the quote about life in your years was his. The greatest president in our history must have been naive... You will never enjoy life if you are too afraid to take risks. No one remembers the people who live life according to everyone else's rules. The people that are remembered are the ones who live life to the fullest, and take advantage of every situation. The people who don't live their insignificant lives, while going to a job that they can't stand.

I would make the argument that your post was the most ignorant and naive post ever posted on this forum. Living life for yourself is the one thing that can keep you from being completely miserable. If you enjoy misery, go ahead and try to please everyone else. I'd rather please myself than anyone else.

This thread was about depression, something that I overcame within this past year. I went from not being able to get out of bed, thinking how easy death must be, thinking every little bad thing was the end of the world, and when good things actually happened, I found a way to make them seem not good. I haven't had a day when I've been depressed in 8 months. I quit trying to keep everyone else happy, and instead focused on keeping myself happy. That is how I am always going to live my life. I am going to do what I want, consequences be damned. As long as I don't hurt another person, why does it ******* matter?

I will take big risks in every area of my life. And that is why I am going to be successful, while you sit around going to your cubicle hating every minute of it. Who seems naive now?

BigDawg819
05-05-2007, 02:10 PM
Yes, living life for yourself rather than someone else is naive. Granted, I am only 20 years old. Nowhere did I say abandon your responsibilities. My entire point was to do what makes YOU happy. If that is naivety, then sign me up. Did I ever say life was one big party? No, thanks for putting words in my mouth though. It is possible to live your life in a way that isn't the expected way.

My desire to die young? So not wanting to live life being scared of what COULD happen means I want to die young? No, I said I would rather die young living the way that I want to live, then the way I am expected of. I guess Abraham Lincoln doesn't give very good advice though. Since the quote about life in your years was his. The greatest president in our history must have been naive... You will never enjoy life if you are too afraid to take risks. No one remembers the people who live life according to everyone else's rules. The people that are remembered are the ones who live life to the fullest, and take advantage of every situation. The people who don't live their insignificant lives, while going to a job that they can't stand.

I would make the argument that your post was the most ignorant and naive post ever posted on this forum. Living life for yourself is the one thing that can keep you from being completely miserable. If you enjoy misery, go ahead and try to please everyone else. I'd rather please myself than anyone else.

This thread was about depression, something that I overcame within this past year. I went from not being able to get out of bed, thinking how easy death must be, thinking every little bad thing was the end of the world, and when good things actually happened, I found a way to make them seem not good. I haven't had a day when I've been depressed in 8 months. I quit trying to keep everyone else happy, and instead focused on keeping myself happy. That is how I am always going to live my life. I am going to do what I want, consequences be damned. As long as I don't hurt another person, why does it ******* matter?

I will take big risks in every area of my life. And that is why I am going to be successful, while you sit around going to your cubicle hating every minute of it. Who seems naive now?

Your 20 years old so its pointless to argue with you since you have no clue to how the real world is yet. Your whole rant there is about living for yourself alone and that is why there are so many problems in the world. Your view is selfish and will likely change as you get older so once again its pointless to argue with you.

someone447
05-05-2007, 02:20 PM
Your 20 years old so its pointless to argue with you since you have no clue to how the real world is yet. Your whole rant there is about living for yourself alone and that is why there are so many problems in the world. Your view is selfish and will likely change as you get older so once again its pointless to argue with you.

Of course it is selfish... The extent that it will change is going from living for only me, to living for me and my children. Just because you don't think life works like that, doesn't mean it actually doesn't. People are in general selfish. True altruism is a myth. Everyone does what they need to get ahead. I fully expect my friends to use me to get ahead in a career, and I wouldn't take it personally. That is just the way the world works, I would be disappointed if they didn't, because that would mean they weren't trying to be successful, and I want to surround myself with successful people.

Give it a shot, I am always open to others viewpoints. I am very self-analytical(especially for a 20 year old) so who knows, maybe you can bring up an argument I have never thought of before.

Believing that people will do good when given the chance seems awfully naive.

duckseason
05-05-2007, 02:42 PM
447- I agree with a lot of what you're saying in your posts. Although I personally have chosen to ease back a bit on the whole living life to the fullest thing- in order to avoid being returned to prison. Life is a great balancing act, and sometimes it's all you can do to just keep from falling. So anyway, I don't have the time to address everything I wanted to in this thread. I just wanted to respond to what I quoted above.

Depression is in fact a by-product of living in this world. So is cancer. Nobody signs up for either. Most people become depressed from things that naturally occur in their life. It doesn't have to be a chemical imbalance or anything. I think most people likely have an "imbalance" anyway. Which is depressing in itself. I mean, for me, just walking down the damn street and encountering people is depressing. The level of stupidity I witness on a daily basis is something that saddens me if I choose to give it any thought. So it takes effort at all times to maintain a certain level of happiness. Like I said before, pretty much anything can provoke depression. Really all it takes is an accurate and honest viewpoint of the world we live in. A freaking lack of sunlight has been proven to cause depression. So I'm not sure what you mean when you say that your natural feelings are not a natural by-product of your environment. Everything affects us. Most people have not yet (or never will) figured out how to direct their own personal emotional traffic. So they inevitably suffer car wrecks on a regular basis. I refuse to label natural human characteristics as "diseases."

someone447
05-05-2007, 02:50 PM
Ok, I guess I misunderstood what you meant by a byproduct. I thought you meant it will eventually happen to everyone.

yourfavestoner
05-05-2007, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the advice(duck, nvot, and someone23423423...). Last night I got into an argument with my older brother about religion and politics, and I realized that those are two things that no matter how badly you can outwit someone in you can never change their minds. I am becoming a little too analytical I think. When people cannot see the truth or evidence in your statement or see the common sense I become belligerent and frustrated, this might be contributing to my problems.

The thing is that that's not something you're going to be able to just turn on and off. There's a reason why idiots like GRF are happy. Because ignorance is bliss.

The best advice that I can give you is to not argue with people about **** like that. When it comes to political, religious, or theoretical beliefs most peoples' minds are already made up. You can sit there and argue with them till they're blue in the face, but you're not going to change anything. You'll just frustrate yourself.

Create your own happiness man. Try not to worry about other people, and what they're doing wrong, because you aren't going to change it. Find people who share similar thoughts and interests with you.

If all else fails, grab a juice, pop two, and call me in the morning. You'll be one happy ************, I guarantee it.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-05-2007, 03:26 PM
I refuse to label natural human characteristics as "diseases."

Without delving too deep into semantics, I'd say that diseases are natural human characteristics. Mutations are events of nature, so is cancer, so is leukemia, so is basically everything.

Is depression due to lack of sunlight any more or any less natural than depression due to a chemical imbalance? Is a natural case of serotonin syndrome not a disease?

I think the words "natural" and "unnatural" are used way too liberally.

duckseason
05-05-2007, 04:16 PM
Without delving too deep into semantics, I'd say that diseases are natural human characteristics. Mutations are events of nature, so is cancer, so is leukemia, so is basically everything.

Is depression due to lack of sunlight any more or any less natural than depression due to a chemical imbalance? Is a natural case of serotonin syndrome not a disease?

I think the words "natural" and "unnatural" are used way to liberally.

Yeah, this is an interesting subject. I agree with you. Allow me to elaborate. When I was a kid, I had a lot of troubles in school. I used to cuss a lot and let the staff know just how I felt. I hated school, and didn't try to hide it. So anyway, I ended up being kicked out of 2 different elementary schools, and in order to remain in the district, I was required to follow an IEP (individual education) plan. I was required to spend the second half of each day in the special education class. So I would show up there everyday and draw on the blackboard or play Oregon Trail on the computer. They tried to give me a label, so the first thing they thought of was tourrette's syndrome. lmao. they even had my mom believing that I needed medicine and counseling and all that. They didn't realize that I just didn't like being in school, and I hated the way teachers acted. I felt that it was a ridiculous waste of time, and I have since learned that my instincts were dead-on. Anyway, so none of this helped me at all, and in fact caused even more problems for me. What I'm saying is that we don't need to label people who are affected by seasonal changes as suffering from SAD. We don't need to label people who are a tad bit hyper as ADHD. I mean hell, we have a damn disorder label for pretty much anybody that isn't sitting in a chair with their hands folded in their lap. Define normal you punk ass doctors. Who's to say that people with ADD aren't the normal ones and everybody else needs some drugs to "correct" their brain chemicals? That's what I mean by natural human characteristics. Why can't we just see people for who they are, and stop trying to "correct" everything? Oh yeah, because in this society, we are all expected to walk that same path. Those same ruts that everybody walked before us. If you stray too far from that trail, then you need to be put back in line. So anyway, that's what I mean. Nothing wrong with having words to describe certain characteristics, but I have a problem when they start throwing that "disorder" word around. Pretty soon we'll start labeling people with no apparent abnormalities at all, as suffering from "TND" (too normal disorder.)

Paranoidmoonduck
05-05-2007, 04:39 PM
I have a whole theory on the ADHD craze, but that's a discussion for another day I suppose. I do agree that over-diagnosis is a huge problem, and far too many kids are given medication and are told they're somehow defective (behind ADHD, Asperger's is probably the most diagnosed).

Either way, the effort to help people gain a certain amount of control over their brain chemistry is understandable. Some people genuinely needs it. Doctors are just being overzealous.

duckseason
05-05-2007, 04:42 PM
I have a whole theory on the ADHD craze, but that's a discussion for another day I suppose. I do agree that over-diagnosis is a huge problem, and far too many kids are given medication and are told they're somehow defective (behind ADHD, Asperger's is probably the most diagnosed).

Either way, the effort to help people gain a certain amount of control over their brain chemistry is understandable. Some people genuinely needs it. Doctors are just being overzealous.

I agree completely. This is indeed a difficult topic to discuss, especially over the internet. You get my point though, and I get yours. I think we're in agreement here.

someone447
05-05-2007, 05:01 PM
Yeah, this is an interesting subject. I agree with you. Allow me to elaborate. When I was a kid, I had a lot of troubles in school. I used to cuss a lot and let the staff know just how I felt. I hated school, and didn't try to hide it. So anyway, I ended up being kicked out of 2 different elementary schools, and in order to remain in the district, I was required to follow an IEP (individual education) plan. I was required to spend the second half of each day in the special education class. So I would show up there everyday and draw on the blackboard or play Oregon Trail on the computer. They tried to give me a label, so the first thing they thought of was tourrette's syndrome. lmao. they even had my mom believing that I needed medicine and counseling and all that. They didn't realize that I just didn't like being in school, and I hated the way teachers acted. I felt that it was a ridiculous waste of time, and I have since learned that my instincts were dead-on. Anyway, so none of this helped me at all, and in fact caused even more problems for me. What I'm saying is that we don't need to label people who are affected by seasonal changes as suffering from SAD. We don't need to label people who are a tad bit hyper as ADHD. I mean hell, we have a damn disorder label for pretty much anybody that isn't sitting in a chair with their hands folded in their lap. Define normal you punk ass doctors. Who's to say that people with ADD aren't the normal ones and everybody else needs some drugs to "correct" their brain chemicals? That's what I mean by natural human characteristics. Why can't we just see people for who they are, and stop trying to "correct" everything? Oh yeah, because in this society, we are all expected to walk that same path. Those same ruts that everybody walked before us. If you stray too far from that trail, then you need to be put back in line. So anyway, that's what I mean. Nothing wrong with having words to describe certain characteristics, but I have a problem when they start throwing that "disorder" word around. Pretty soon we'll start labeling people with no apparent abnormalities at all, as suffering from "TND" (too normal disorder.)

Exactly right, in terms of most things. I think depression is underdiagnosed, and that even with about a third of the population suffering(i think that is the number, not exactly sure) that sure as hell isn't "normal"

The straying too far from the trail thing is what I have been saying about living your own life. People won't like you for it, but at least you are doing what you want, and not what someone else expects of you.