PDA

View Full Version : NFL considering moving 1st round of draft to Friday night

therock6000
05-04-2007, 10:45 AM
anybody opposed to this?

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/nfl?page=2

bored of education
05-04-2007, 11:04 AM
If it started at 7 PM i could see that. How long did the 1st round last htis year, one of the longest ones in a while. If it lasts under 5 hours, I'd be for it.

next day 10 minutes between picks starting 11 am EST go until 10 PM. 11 hours? Could that finish it?

-black
05-04-2007, 11:43 AM
I would be opposed

FloridaFootball
05-04-2007, 11:48 AM
I like the idea, especially for the fact that it gives teams to review what players are off the board, and get a night in between round 1 and then round 2

NIN1984
05-04-2007, 12:12 PM
I don't really like the idea, I love the firday night before the draft all the hype and hours counting down.

dabears10
05-04-2007, 12:37 PM
Wouldn't it just become Friday day everyone anticipating, make for good work banter.

crazyisme
05-04-2007, 12:44 PM
i have to watch the draft and i wouldnt be able to go out and drink myself to stupidity if it were on Friday night....

villagewarrior
05-04-2007, 12:54 PM
Yeah, I go out Fridays alot, and hardly ever on Saturdays, so I would be opposed.

High Roller
05-04-2007, 01:24 PM
I wouldn't mind much but I'd prefer it to be on Saturday. I make a day's event out of it almost and just chill that weekend.

NIN1984
05-04-2007, 01:38 PM
Yeah, I go out Fridays alot, and hardly ever on Saturdays, so I would be opposed.

Exactly (10 blah)

Moses
05-04-2007, 01:41 PM
I would like it. Having the draft a bit more spread out is a good thing in my opinion. They really need to shorten it up though. 5 hours for the first round is beyond excessive.

Non_Sequitur
05-04-2007, 02:23 PM
That'd be cool with me, but only the first round.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-04-2007, 02:26 PM
I don't like that.

derza222
05-04-2007, 02:29 PM
The first round was what, six hours and change this year? Starting it Friday night would not really make sense unless the amount of time teams have to choose is changed. If you think about it, if the draft starts at 7, six hours later its 1 in the morning. Doesn't seem to make much sense to me. Maybe late afternoon, but unless they make it earlier Saturday just works out so much better. And if they do, people might not get home from work in time to see the first few picks because its a weeknight, its just too messy. Or maybe someone doesn't anticipate something coming up and they have to work late. Saturday and Sunday works too well for this to make sense. If its not broken, don't fix it. Although I do think it would make sense for the amount of time teams have to decrease a little bit.

On a personal level, like the guy said above I go out on Fridays and not as much on Saturdays, so I'd prefer it to stick to Saturday anyway.

WMD
05-04-2007, 02:52 PM
Terrible idea. Just keep it how it is.

jackalope
05-04-2007, 04:30 PM
I would much rather keep it the way it is.

I couldn't find the article in the link.

GB12
05-04-2007, 04:43 PM
I want them to leave it alone. It's hard enough to clear 2 days, 3 would be near impossible.

Non_Sequitur
05-04-2007, 05:25 PM
I want them to leave it alone. It's hard enough to clear 2 days, 3 would be near impossible.

The typical adult male viewer has the weekend off and doesn't work nights. I realize a lot of children and young adults have weekend jobs and such, as I used to have one myself; however you have to think about the target demographic. The NFL wants the successful (IE frivolous money spending) young male. If the NFL can dominate not only his weekend, but also his friday night, they increase the number of ads they can show, thus increasing income.

GB12
05-04-2007, 05:44 PM
The typical adult male viewer has the weekend off and doesn't work nights. I realize a lot of children and young adults have weekend jobs and such, as I used to have one myself; however you have to think about the target demographic. The NFL wants the successful (IE frivolous money spending) young male. If the NFL can dominate not only his weekend, but also his friday night, they increase the number of ads they can show, thus increasing income.

I didn't say a thing about jobs, just life in general.

RaiderNation
05-04-2007, 05:45 PM
should just keep it as it is

etk
05-04-2007, 05:49 PM
Guys like Rich McKay have been trying for years to shorten the length of the First Round to 12 minutes or less. That should be the #1 concern and I think Goodell is fed up with the draft length as well. There's no way that teams in the 20-32 range need 15 minutes for every 'effin pick.

Non_Sequitur
05-04-2007, 05:50 PM
I didn't say a thing about jobs, just life in general.

I was trying to represent the economical point of view of the choice. I don't care one way or the other. I get 51 other Friday nights, and it's not like I spend them all going out anyhow.

Non_Sequitur
05-04-2007, 05:51 PM
Guys like Rich McKay have been trying for years to shorten the length of the First Round to 12 minutes or less. That should be the #1 concern and I think Goodell is fed up with the draft length as well. There's no way that teams in the 20-32 range need 15 minutes for every 'effin pick.

I would think that most GM's would, if anything, want MORE time. A lot of teams work the phones for 14 minutes and 45 seconds before giving up and turning in a pick. Less time equals less trades.

etk
05-04-2007, 05:55 PM
I would think that most GM's would, if anything, want MORE time. A lot of teams work the phones for 14 minutes and 45 seconds before giving up and turning in a pick. Less time equals less trades.

You are forgetting how GMs usually only make 1 pick per round, and it can be agonizing to sit in the draft room for hours between picks (Redskins). It doesn't take the full 15 minutes to make a trade, teams just use (abuse IMO) the privilege because they can.

cardsalltheway
05-04-2007, 06:01 PM

Why should teams picking later get less time? If anything, they should get more since they know a lot less about which players will be available at their pick than the teams with higher picks do.

Non_Sequitur
05-04-2007, 06:02 PM
You are forgetting how GMs usually only make 1 pick per round, and it can be agonizing to sit in the draft room for hours between picks (Redskins). It doesn't take the full 15 minutes to make a trade, teams just use (abuse IMO) the privilege because they can.

As Phil Savage (Browns GM) said on Dan Patrick "It's like we sit back and just wait for our next pick. We are happy for a couple minutes, then we put it out of our minds and start analyzing what's going on with other teams and how it will effect our next pick. Should we trade up for this guy, if so when's the best spot, how far is he likely to fall, who else might try and trade up for him. You are working the entire time."

(Paraphrased and not an exact quote, my memory isn't THAT good).

simms2clayton
05-04-2007, 09:33 PM
Why don't they just shorten the time alloted to each time from 15 minutes to 12 mintues that way it can possibly get done 1:30 faster.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-04-2007, 10:10 PM
They'd have to start it earlier than they're talking about, but I'd totally support this. The 1st day of the draft is insanely long, and breaking it up by a night of sleep (although I doubt team personnel would get much shuteye) could do wonders.

Also, I wouldn't have to wake up so early here on the west coast.

SchizophrenicBatman
05-05-2007, 01:38 AM
This would be awful. The media already gives the 1st round (specifically, the first 10 picks) 99% of their draft coverage already, if this happened it would be like rest of the draft doesn't even exist

MP123
05-05-2007, 02:10 AM
I'd be asleep before the first round was over.

jefepowhnzer
05-05-2007, 03:44 AM
My friend and I were discussing the length of the first round and neither of us thought it really needed to change. Now if future first rounds continue to stagger beyond 5 or 5 1/2 hours regularly then the time has to be cut to 10 or 12 minutes per pick in the first round. Also, in terms of the first overall pick, I don't know if it's just tradition or if the first 15 minutes really matter to the team with the overall #1. IMO the first overall pick should be announced at the beginning of the draft after the commissioners opening statement. The team that owns that pick has had 4+ months to decide on a pick, and in most cases has had weeks of contract discussions with their agent.It's hard to think that after months of preparation and study that the GM really needs an extra 15 minutes to make the pick or complete a trade.

OzTitan
05-05-2007, 04:51 AM
I'd like it because that would be day time Saturday here instead of 2am Sunday morning :D

Caddy
05-05-2007, 05:43 AM
I'd like it because that would be day time Saturday here instead of 2am Sunday morning :D

That makes it a lot easier for us. :)

The Unseen
05-05-2007, 06:22 AM
Eh, I don't think I like it. I like it the way it is. The draaama is great.

Now shortening the minutes is an idea I like.

Addict
05-05-2007, 06:26 AM
If they move the draft to fridaynight, that'd mean I'd have to pull an all-nighter because of the damn 6 hour time difference.

yangjay
05-05-2007, 09:14 AM
Doesn't matter what day they show the draft. They need more insight into each player being selected (e.g. interview of college coaches, game tapes, etc.) I don't freaking want to watch countless hours of "professional analysts" talking about how one player fell. I wanted to watch the draft because I wanted some analysis of players I don't know much about. Yet, they talk about those players for like ten seconds and boom off another half hour of Brady Quinn and the Browns. Another thing that bugged me was the freaking commercials...Why couldn't the draft be commercial free?

Now if they must shorten it, then the first round should be like 12 minutes and rest of day one should be like 8 minutes. That should be plenty of time...Look at me last year during my live Fantasy draft at ESPN...I only had 2 minutes to decide between Chad Johnson or Steve Smith (now that's difficult).

princefielder28
05-05-2007, 09:15 AM
Bad idea! Just leave it as it is currently, don't ruin a good thing

Empire
05-05-2007, 09:13 PM
A better idea would be to shorten the time teams are given to make their selection. Even 2-3 minutes per team would make for a much shorter amount of time for the first round. I'd propose a cut down from 15 minutes to 12 minutes allocated in the first round.

DallCowby1
05-06-2007, 06:28 AM
Leave it as is. If they want more time, but don't want to change the (15min, 10min, 5min) time allotted for each pick.

Then just start the draft earlier. I'm for a 9am or 10am start to the draft.

Jimmy
05-06-2007, 09:13 AM
i actually though about it and it would make me happy since i go to the draft.. there would less phony draft fans and more real diehards there, and i wouldnt have to get in an argument with some bull headed 17 year old kid about why mel kiper is one of the reasons the draft is where it is today...