PDA

View Full Version : Car Insurance

villagewarrior
05-04-2007, 12:50 PM
Yeah, so I finally bought a car yesterday, pretty sweet ride, 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix, and I was pretty stoked. Then today I have to go buy insurance on my own for the first time, and the stokedness is no more. Yikes! So all you old timers out there, I finally understand why you are always so grumpy...

Nitschke-Hawk
05-04-2007, 12:54 PM
Insurance is a biyatch.

drowe
05-04-2007, 01:03 PM
So all you old timers out there, I finally understand why you are always so grumpy...

hah, not quite...you should see how much cheaper it gets when you hit 25.

4 years without an ticket doesn't hurt either.

757Dawg
05-04-2007, 01:03 PM
How old are you?

I take it you're pretty young, so brace yourself for a ridiculous $$$ amount. I know I wanted to burn down a daycare after my agent gave me the reality slap.

bsaza2358
05-04-2007, 01:15 PM
Yeah, you had no insurance before, you're buying your first car, and it's a pretty sporty sedan or coupe. You're also a male. Depending on your deductible and limits, you could get hit pretty damn hard. Keep your traffic tickets down and shop around, and you could find yourself in a decent situation. Shop around to see what you can get. Liberty Mutual, GEICO, State Farm, Nationwide, etc. Look at all of them and compare.

Jughead10
05-04-2007, 01:16 PM
NJ has the highest car insurance the US. Paying it is not fun. Although I think I have the cheapest I can get for the state.

bsaza2358
05-04-2007, 01:25 PM
NJ has the highest auto rates in the country because the drivers are incredibly aggressive, there is a ton of traffic, people drive long distances to work, and there is a lot of through-traffic on the major highways. To top it off, there are a lot of lawyers and ambulance chasers out there to make sure that there are lots of settlements on minor auto claims.

JCutlery
05-04-2007, 01:37 PM
I pay $30 a week for car insurance, so it doesn't bother me too much. My car, on the other hand, does bother me. It's a piece of junk.

slightlyaraiderfan
05-04-2007, 01:39 PM
I pay $30 a week for car insurance, so it doesn't bother me too much. My car, on the other hand, does bother me. It's a piece of junk.
Didn't you post pictures of it once? I remember that "thing"

And villagewarrior, Move to New Hampshire(I think it's NH) and you don't have to buy car insurance, problem solved.

bsaza2358
05-04-2007, 01:42 PM
Just because you don't have to buy car insurance doesn't mean it's a useless expense. With the courts the way they are today, it's important to carry something to cover your own liability.

Jughead10
05-04-2007, 01:42 PM
NJ has the highest auto rates in the country because the drivers are incredibly aggressive, there is a ton of traffic, people drive long distances to work, and there is a lot of through-traffic on the major highways. To top it off, there are a lot of lawyers and ambulance chasers out there to make sure that there are lots of settlements on minor auto claims.

Oh I know why it is so high. Its still the highest and I have to pay, which sucks for me. My insurance should go down really soon, I'll be 24 in August and have never had one accident or ticket. (Knock on wood). I'll probably get a ticket now on the way home from work for speeding.

duckseason
05-04-2007, 02:16 PM
Yeah, so I finally bought a car yesterday, pretty sweet ride, 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix, and I was pretty stoked. Then today I have to go buy insurance on my own for the first time, and the stokedness is no more. Yikes! So all you old timers out there, I finally understand why you are always so grumpy...

See if you can get one of your parents to add you to their insurance. Should be a lot cheaper that way. (depending on who your parents are)

Nitschke-Hawk
05-04-2007, 02:31 PM
i got a 99 jeep grand cherokee last summer with the a payment of 280 a month which isn't that bad considering it only had 90,000 miles on a 99, little did I know the insurance would be $200 a month. :(

Nitschke-Hawk
05-04-2007, 02:42 PM
See if you can get one of your parents to add you to their insurance. Should be a lot cheaper that way. (depending on who your parents are)
So there's no legal ramifications if I drive a car insured by somebody else? My mom's the co-signer for my car so if she had the insurance under her name instead of mine it would be cheaper but still a legal form of insurance? We were always thinking we couldn't do it that way.

bsaza2358
05-04-2007, 02:46 PM
If you live with your parents, you can put the car on their insurance, and you would be listed as a secondary driver on the car. It's a tougher sell for them, but if you're living with older people, the insurance companies feel better about it.

bsaza2358
05-04-2007, 02:48 PM
The mileage on the car doesn't matter a whole lot. The insurance companies look at where the car is residing, the accident rates in the area, your age, your grades, your accident/speeding history, your parents' accident/speeding history, if you have a job, who the primary driver of the car is, and the type of car you drive. It's all plugged into a program that spits out a number. Depending on other factors (military, type of job, education, amount of time you spend in the car), they get the rate.

duckseason
05-04-2007, 02:49 PM
So there's no legal ramifications if I drive a car insured by somebody else? My mom's the co-signer for my car so if she had the insurance under her name instead of mine it would be cheaper but still a legal form of insurance? We were always thinking we couldn't do it that way.

Yeah, when I bought my first car, my step-dad offered to put me on his insurance. He did it for my 3 brothers too. It depends on how much confidence your parents have in you. Maybe you could work out a deal where you agree to pay the rate increase if you do something dumb.

Nitschke-Hawk
05-04-2007, 04:18 PM
When I was talking about the mileage I was referring to the actual price of the car. The payment is around 280 for the car. I mentioned that because the insurance is 200, doesn't make sense for it to be that much. But anyway, thanks guys.

snuff
05-04-2007, 04:25 PM
280 a month for a 99 Grand Cherokee with 90k miles? Seems pretty high... I hope its like a 2 year loan with nothing down.

drowe
05-04-2007, 05:01 PM
yeah, when i started driving, my parents said i could be on their insurance until i got my first ticket. made it until i was 18. then the most expensive drive home from work ever.

ironman4579
05-04-2007, 05:18 PM
How in the hell are you guys paying so much for insurance? When I first got my Tahoe, I was under 25, and still only payed $105 dollars a month. But that was in North Carolina. Then when I hit 25 and was living back in Michigan again, my new rate was $87. Anything over $200 a month is crazy to me, even if you are under 25.

duckseason
05-04-2007, 05:21 PM
Yeah, there is no way in hell I would ever pay 200 a month. I would rather use that money to buy another car and just let it sit. The bus doesn't sound too bad when insurance gets up over $100.

Nitschke-Hawk
05-04-2007, 08:21 PM
280 a month for a 99 Grand Cherokee with 90k miles? Seems pretty high... I hope its like a 2 year loan with nothing down.

I should say jeep grand cherokee limited, it's got the cool stuff. I don't think the payment is bad at all, it's really nice, it's the insurance that I don't like.

awfullyquiet
05-05-2007, 04:58 AM

god. reminds me why i hate nj. that and the fact that every time i'd drive down the turnpike or parkway i'd get pulled over for some reason or another... having NY plates in NJ blows. seriously. and everyone drives like ****. people on the island drive better. and that's saying something. not saying anything about the idiots from westchester. but. whatever.

i think i probably have most of you beat on car insurance! :-p

that's why I'm never grumpy.
i think i pay 480 every six months. and i live in the city (chicago proper). then again, i do have a 2000 honda prelude. if i didn't have a racy-thingy-car id probably pay like 50 bucks a month.

bernbabybern820
05-05-2007, 12:13 PM
At least NJ has cheap gas compared to other states...

awfullyquiet
05-05-2007, 02:03 PM
At least NJ has cheap gas compared to other states...

i know. i think you pay a whole dollar less than i do.
it's ridiculous. my friend from philly came out and said he was paying 2,50 for gas in jersey.

meaning i'm paying 3,50 for gas in chicago.