PDA

View Full Version : The future of the Lions' DLine...

TacticaLion
05-04-2007, 01:07 PM
Redding wants money (or another team) and all the coaches talk about when referring to Alama-Francis is his "versatility" in that he can play DE or DT. Obviously he fits our defense better as a DT... and we really don't need Rogers, Redding, Alama-Francis AND Cody.

So, my question is: why don't we trade him off and try to grab a pure pass-rushing DE in his place? Hell, Denver drafted Dumervil last year and Crowder and Moss this year... and they've got some depth at the position (but could use a talent like Redding at DT). Why not look to make a deal?

Yes, Redding is a drafted Lion, but it can't make Marinelli happy that he's set to make $6+ mil next year and is STILL sitting out for a bigger/better contract.

I think it would be a good move.

LionSmack
05-04-2007, 01:13 PM
Better yet, call the Jets. Redding would make a pretty decent 3-4 DE and I hear they have a linebacker who doesnt exactly fit the 3-4...

WMD
05-04-2007, 02:42 PM
I'd trade him for a Round 2 pick...

Notredameleo
05-04-2007, 04:09 PM
How about we trade him to Denver for Dumerville and a 3rd or 4th??

TacticaLion
05-04-2007, 04:43 PM
How about we trade him to Denver for Dumerville and a 3rd or 4th??

I don't think they'd give up Dumervil AND a pick... because I don't think they really want to trade Dumervil.

Redding to the Jets would be a great trade... Redding and a 3rd or 4th for Vilma. Would benefit both teams.

I also think his stock is at it's peak right now... unless Alama-Francis stays and DE and Cody remains average.

detroit4life
05-04-2007, 09:17 PM
it all depends on how they see Alma Francis fitting they may want to have him as back up for a year but redding is a very good DT and they were able to work it out with Rogers so they could try again with Redding remember winning solves a lot and if the lions show improvement Redding will be happier here

TheMadLionsFan
05-05-2007, 10:56 AM
Did Vilma have a great year last season?

dreadedluck
05-05-2007, 07:25 PM
The problem is Alma-Francis is a backup. He is not close to being a play by play difference maker. He's only played four years of football. Marinelli has called him a project player, as did Kiper. So while they are all hyped on him, at this time no one feels he is ready to start.

Teams ran all over us last year, we had a weakside linebacker lead theteam with 125 tackles and we are going to start another weaksider in the middle(Lenon or Lehman) So to get rid of Redding would create an even bigger run gap up the middle. Lets not forget about Roger's injuries. He last played a full season in 2004.

If we drafted differently, then maybe we could afford to dump him, but in taking CJ, instead of trading back, we are stuck in this position. Stanton also screwed us big time. We missed out on MLB, and DT in the draft, and all for another reciever, that better catch more then 98 balls and have 1000+ recieving yards and lets add 6 td's to that. (Furreys numbers)

Redding will get a longterm deal I THINK and his one above average season (last year) will get him over paid. Just like Backus did.

Redding traded I would have loved to see, but just not able to without a draft redo, or a free agent miracle (which we would pass on).

Detroit Lions rebuilding since 1957!

asmitty45
05-05-2007, 11:08 PM
Isnt ike francis a DE?

Addict
05-06-2007, 06:49 AM
Did Vilma have a great year last season?

nope, but that's because of the system, and his value is still enormous for the Jets.

dreadedluck
05-06-2007, 04:06 PM
He played DE at Hawaii, never played High School ball. With his 280 frame with plenty of growth, Marinelli wants to move him to the middle. His football awareness, is suspect as of now, says Kiper and Marinelli, but he has a huge upside.

Mythos
05-07-2007, 10:04 PM
He played DE at Hawaii, never played High School ball. With his 280 frame with plenty of growth, Marinelli wants to move him to the middle. His football awareness, is suspect as of now, says Kiper and Marinelli, but he has a huge upside.

^ DE in a 3-4 which is basically the opposite type of player from a cover-2 end.

supermario86
05-08-2007, 02:31 PM
are we 4-3? I know im stupid but i picked up football a couple months ago as muched as i have learned i don't know everything

jbombul
05-08-2007, 03:30 PM
yea we are 4-3 4 down linemen 3 linebackers

asmitty45
05-09-2007, 12:07 PM
So why move him if he's going to play DE? Our DLine is solid we just have to worry about locking up Redding long term.

Addict
05-09-2007, 01:04 PM
So why move him if he's going to play DE? Our DLine is solid we just have to worry about locking up Redding long term.

Locking up Redding is the problem.

Scotty D
05-09-2007, 03:03 PM
I don't want to lock up Redding. I'd rather have him play on that 1 year deal which would keep him motivated becuase if he doesn't perform he won't get paid next year.

Addict
05-09-2007, 03:05 PM
I don't want to lock up Redding. I'd rather have him play on that 1 year deal which would keep him motivated becuase if he doesn't perform he won't get paid next year.

I agree, but we'll have to sign him at some point.

Iamcanadian
05-09-2007, 04:51 PM
Redding will get a longterm deal I THINK and his one above average season (last year) will get him over paid. Just like Backus did.

Detroit Lions rebuilding since 1957!

At least another fan who sees the reality. Millen can only keep his star players by overpaying them. Does anybody really think these guys who had to be franchised wouldn't prefer to be on a franchise that has some hope of winning. The fans may continue to believe but the players know the reality of their situation as do their agents. they know that they can squeeze money out of Millen who doesn't have the luxury to accept defeat. If he traded Redding, the 3 wins from last year would look good and I doubt even Millen can survive another absolutely rotten season.
Redding will be way overpaid, get used to it, that's the way it is under Millen.