PDA

View Full Version : AP Article on Troy Smith

BigDawg819
05-04-2007, 05:16 PM
OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- On his first day as a professional football player, Troy Smith was merely one of 29 rookies trying to land a job with the Baltimore Ravens.

"I'm at the bottom of the totem pole right now," he said. "I have that understanding."

His Heisman Trophy, the 54 touchdown passes he threw at Ohio State and even the No. 10 he wore as the nation's finest college football player were only a memory Friday at the team's rookie camp.

Smith, the last player drafted in the fifth round of the NFL draft, informally launched his NFL career on a beautiful spring morning wearing a purple jersey with the No. 11 on it. Most of his passes were on target; some were not.

"We've got to try to have him be able to do a few more things with the ball," Ravens offensive coordinator Rick Neuheisel said. "He's got a fastball. Now we have to work on some other pitches."

Smith led the Buckeyes to two Big Ten titles and a berth in the national championship game last season. His accomplishments are well documented, but won't mean a thing in the camp that runs through Saturday.

"I think what stands out the most to everybody in the United States is he's the Heisman Trophy winner," Neuheisel said. "I think internally he just wants to learn. He's not coming in here as though he's proven something. He's coming in here wanting to prove something."

Smith concurred. Asked to describe his mind set, he replied, "A humble one."

But Smith wore a big smile after his first practice. He loved playing college football, but was delighted to be taking his career to the next level.

"I think it went pretty good," he said. "I'm just excited about being here. A new offense is always going to bring up some challenges, and that's what they did today. They challenged us."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

Well I may not like him but at least he seems to have the right attitude so far.

Yung Flippa
05-04-2007, 05:36 PM
hopefully he makes the roster

BigDawg819
05-04-2007, 05:38 PM
hopefully he makes the roster

But if he gets beat out by Drew Olsen I'm not going to shed any tears.

dcarey20
05-04-2007, 10:23 PM
Troy Smith aka the future of the Ravens

Yung Flippa
05-04-2007, 10:32 PM
But if he gets beat out by Drew Olsen I'm not going to shed any tears.

We can probably develop Troy Smith into a eventual starter. He could spend like 1 or 2 years learning under Steve and then take over after Steve retires.

BigDawg819
05-05-2007, 01:15 AM
Troy Smith aka the future of the Ravens

That is not a promising future then.

EdReedUnstoppable
05-05-2007, 05:07 AM
That is not a promising future then.

Its a more promising future then Drew Olson gives us.

BigDawg819
05-05-2007, 12:13 PM
Its a more promising future then Drew Olson gives us.

How can you honestly say that when neither one of them have stepped on the field yet? You can't, we're all just speculating here but I know one thing Drew can do that Troy can't, and that's see over the line to pass a ball.

ChefMike
05-05-2007, 12:30 PM
I think with Kyle in a contract year and having Olsen and Smith behind him on the roster and depth chart that we will carry all 4 on the Roster. If by mid season Ozzie doesnt feel we are going to resign Kyle below the market value I would bet you see Troy or Drew getting some of the mop up duty to see how they perform.

EdReedUnstoppable
05-05-2007, 12:33 PM
How can you honestly say that when neither one of them have stepped on the field yet? You can't, we're all just speculating here but I know one thing Drew can do that Troy can't, and that's see over the line to pass a ball.

Troy has a stronger arm and can be a threat with his legs also which Olson cannot. I guess Drew Brees can't see over his offensive line?

BigDawg819
05-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Troy has a stronger arm and can be a threat with his legs also which Olson cannot. I guess Drew Brees can't see over his offensive line?

Comparing Troy Smith to Drew Brees is an insult to Brees and you should be ashamed of yourself.

EdReedUnstoppable
05-05-2007, 12:35 PM
Comparing Troy Smith to Drew Brees is an insult to Brees and you should be ashamed of yourself.

How do you know its an insult if Troy has never stepped on the field yet? Troy could go on to become a great QB, and then its not bad to compare Tory and Drew.

BigDawg819
05-05-2007, 12:37 PM
How do you know its an insult if Troy has never stepped on the field yet? Troy could go on to become a great QB, and then its not bad to compare Tory and Drew.

Until proven otherwise its an insult.

EdReedUnstoppable
05-05-2007, 12:39 PM
Until proven otherwise its an insult.

Troy hasnt played badly yet, so its not an insult.

Basically here is what that meant, to say Troy is gonna suck because he is only 6 feet tall is not a valid reason, and Drew Brees is my argument to prove me right.

BigDawg819
05-05-2007, 12:41 PM
Troy hasnt played badly yet, so its not an insult.

Basically here is what that meant, to say Troy is gonna suck because he is only 6 feet tall is not a valid reason, and Drew Brees is my argument to prove me right.

I wasn't using his height as a valid reason I was using it as a cheap shot.

EdReedUnstoppable
05-05-2007, 01:27 PM
I wasn't using his height as a valid reason I was using it as a cheap shot.

Well I can't allow cheap shots to Troy!! Just like I won't tolerate them for Kyle........however feel free to take cheap shots at McNair and McGahee all you want!!!!

BigDawg819
05-05-2007, 01:42 PM
Well I can't allow cheap shots to Troy!! Just like I won't tolerate them for Kyle........however feel free to take cheap shots at McNair and McGahee all you want!!!!

Don't worry now that Troy is a Raven and seems to be doing what he needs to be doing that was my only cheap shot, well that and his rookie contract. :D

RavensFan
05-07-2007, 11:01 PM
yea i suppose drew brees not being as tall as say...kyle boller makes kyle the better QB..ummm no Smith has some talent and doesnt trip over himself so i hope he makes the team

BigDawg819
05-07-2007, 11:03 PM
yea i suppose drew brees not being as tall as say...kyle boller makes kyle the better QB..ummm no Smith has some talent and doesnt trip over himself so i hope he makes the team

Way to jump in an exchange 3 days after its over. :rolleyes:

Shere Khan
05-13-2007, 01:48 PM
I had a bad feeling in the pit of my gut when the Ravens drafted Troy Smith.
The same feeling I had when I was in school at Ohio U. and the Steelers picked Roethlisberger.

Something tells me he's gonna be PRETTY jacked-up to face the Browns and Bengals twice a year in the future.

BigDawg819
05-13-2007, 05:00 PM
I had a bad feeling in the pit of my gut when the Ravens drafted Troy Smith.
The same feeling I had when I was in school at Ohio U. and the Steelers picked Roethlisberger.

Something tells me he's gonna be PRETTY jacked-up to face the Browns and Bengals twice a year in the future.

Yeah that "jacked-up" feeling will serve him greatly as he's buried on the depth chart and not dressing for games....... :rolleyes:

Shere Khan
05-13-2007, 05:05 PM
Yeah that "jacked-up" feeling will serve him greatly as he's buried on the depth chart and not dressing for games....... :rolleyes:

Not away, no.

I mean, 2 or 3 years down the road I could see him possibly being a starter.

BigDawg819
05-13-2007, 05:11 PM
Not away, no.

I mean, 2 or 3 years down the road I could see him possibly being a starter.

I agree, in 2 or 3 years I could see him starting in the Arena League.

EdReedUnstoppable
05-13-2007, 05:50 PM

He'll be dressed for all 16 games actually, he'll be holding a clip board but he'll be on the active roster and suited up, which is more than anyone can say for Drew Olson.

Shere Khan
05-13-2007, 07:28 PM
I agree, in 2 or 3 years I could see him starting in the Arena League.

lol

so dude, who at QB do the Ravens really have?
Kyle Boller?

ROFL

McNair?
yeah, but how long are you going to rely on him?

You scoff at Troy Smith like your team has MUCH better options or something.

BigDawg819
05-13-2007, 07:56 PM
lol

so dude, who at QB do the Ravens really have?
Kyle Boller?

ROFL

McNair?
yeah, but how long are you going to rely on him?

You scoff at Troy Smith like your team has MUCH better options or something.

Yeah because the Bengals are so great at QB? One solid hit to Palmer's knee and you have a top 10 pick in 2008 draft. Each season is just that one season so the long term QB spot is always up for grabs.

Shere Khan
05-13-2007, 10:16 PM
Only Ravens and Steelers fans would even think of something like that.

I bet Terrell Suggs is licking his chops.

BigDawg819
05-14-2007, 07:54 AM
Only Ravens and Steelers fans would even think of something like that.

I bet Terrell Suggs is licking his chops.

I'll bet every team is doing the same because if that knee fails so do the Bengals. Oh wait no you can just wait for their defense to fail cause that will fail quicker.

dcarey20
05-14-2007, 05:09 PM
Troy Smith is the man

KdNZ
05-29-2007, 07:05 PM
Height is a non factor.

KdNZ
05-29-2007, 07:06 PM
BigDawg is an idiot. Troy right now is very raw, however the Ravens couldn't have been more of a perfect fit for him. McNair will be a great mentor for him and in 2 years Troy will be starting at QB. I heard the same crap from morons like BigDawg about Brees few years back, blah blah blah, need new qb, hes to short, hes horrible. Idiots like this should do us all a favor and keep their opinions to theirselves when it doesn't do anything but creat negativity. Brees right now is making everyone in San Diego eat crow. O yea, I know that Philip Rivers had a good season, but hes not proven, when he can be consistent for 2-3 years then the Chargers will forget about Brees. As for now, im happy that Baltimore took Smith. Kid has alot to prove and hes shown in the past when theres a challange the kid has the heart to step up to it.

Incase you didn't know heres a list of other "horrible" 6'0 - 6'1 who were said to be to short to play.....moron

Fran Tarkenton
Joe Theismann
Sonny Jurgensen
Otto Graham
Bobby Layne
Bart Starr
Bob Griese
Doug Floutie
Jeff Blake
Mark Brunell
Rex Grossman
Jeff Garcia
Drew Brees

Thats just to name a few.

EdReedUnstoppable
05-29-2007, 09:28 PM
BigDawg is an idiot. Troy right now is very raw, however the Ravens couldn't have been more of a perfect fit for him. McNair will be a great mentor for him and in 2 years Troy will be starting at QB. I heard the same crap from morons like BigDawg about Brees few years back, blah blah blah, need new qb, hes to short, hes horrible. Idiots like this should do us all a favor and keep their opinions to theirselves when it doesn't do anything but creat negativity. Brees right now is making everyone in San Diego eat crow. O yea, I know that Philip Rivers had a good season, but hes not proven, when he can be consistent for 2-3 years then the Chargers will forget about Brees. As for now, im happy that Baltimore took Smith. Kid has alot to prove and hes shown in the past when theres a challange the kid has the heart to step up to it.

Incase you didn't know heres a list of other "horrible" 6'0 - 6'1 who were said to be to short to play.....moron

Fran Tarkenton
Joe Theismann
Sonny Jurgensen
Otto Graham
Bobby Layne
Bart Starr
Bob Griese
Doug Floutie
Jeff Blake
Mark Brunell
Rex Grossman
Jeff Garcia
Drew Brees

I've tuned you out, I don't care what your point is, insults are unnecessary.

Ravens1991
05-29-2007, 09:38 PM
I agree ERU, I agree with his point of the post, but there is no need for name calling.

BigDawg819
05-30-2007, 07:29 AM
I've tuned you out, I don't care what your point is, insults are unnecessary.

Thanks for having my back bro, first round at the O's game in August is on me! :D

EdReedUnstoppable
05-30-2007, 09:50 AM
Thanks for having my back bro, first round at the O's game in August is on me! :D

Hell yeah dude, I aint lettin nobody talk smack.

BigDawg819
05-30-2007, 09:52 AM
Hell yeah dude, I aint lettin nobody talk smack.

Well if they call down the thunder, they're gonna get it. And hell's coming with ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jkpigskin
05-30-2007, 10:03 AM
i went to an O's game last week for the 1st time in about 2 years and i love it. the atmosphere of the ballpark is so peaceful, especially when their are open seats galore :p
since the games are soo cheap i will probably go more often

BigDawg819
05-30-2007, 10:07 AM
i went to an O's game last week for the 1st time in about 2 years and i love it. the atmosphere of the ballpark is so peaceful, especially when their are open seats galore :p
since the games are soo cheap i will probably go more often

Yes I agree the atmosphere is quite refreshing and I have been to 3 games this year and wouldn't you know it all wins.

jkpigskin
05-30-2007, 10:09 AM
Yes I agree the atmosphere is quite refreshing and I have been to 3 games this year and wouldn't you know it all wins.

yea, i went last week on the 5-2 win for the O's... it was acaully a really boring game, there were about 15 singles, no hrs, about only 2 strike outs...

and i was playing the homerun game where you pass the money, and nobody won... the next day there are 3 hrs.... grrrrrr

BigDawg819
05-30-2007, 10:11 AM
yea, i went last week on the 5-2 win for the O's... it was acaully a really boring game, there were about 15 singles, no hrs, about only 2 strike outs...

and i was playing the homerun game where you pass the money, and nobody won... the next day there are 3 hrs.... grrrrrr

Yeah Sunday's game against the A's, I was there and I was all hungover from 2 straight days of drinking. Does this mean I won the bet? :D

ChefMike
05-30-2007, 10:43 AM

Fran Tarkenton
Joe Theismann
Sonny Jurgensen
Otto Graham
Bobby Layne
Bart Starr
Bob Griese
Doug Floutie
Jeff Blake
Mark Brunell
Rex Grossman
Jeff Garcia
Drew Brees

This is a very intelligent post.. I must add that Joe Montana was also in that group of "SHORT" QB's I am glad that someone else does some research before making wild accusations. Troy Smith is not my favorite QB but I think he will be a solid QB for us in the future...

BigDawg819
05-30-2007, 10:55 AM
This is a very intelligent post.. I must add that Joe Montana was also in that group of "SHORT" QB's I am glad that someone else does some research before making wild accusations. Troy Smith is not my favorite QB but I think he will be a solid QB for us in the future...

Any post that starts out with a personal attack is therefore null and void of any intelligence. You reply says alot about you sir.......

America
05-30-2007, 11:17 AM
BigDawg..you do realize you have insulted people on numerous occasions for the same reason this guy did, disagreeing with what you said.

One thing with the height though. If you watch Smith, when he throws he gets up on his toes. Some QBs take a big step, which in turn makes their delivery point lower than would be expected for their height. Smith's is higher.

BigDawg819
05-30-2007, 11:27 AM
BigDawg..you do realize you have insulted people on numerous occasions for the same reason this guy did, disagreeing with what you said.

One thing with the height though. If you watch Smith, when he throws he gets up on his toes. Some QBs take a big step, which in turn makes their delivery point lower than would be expected for their height. Smith's is higher.

No I merely pointed out the error their thought process and never for once blatantly called anyone an idiot. Check your facts their sir and post again. :D

America
05-31-2007, 11:13 AM
No I merely pointed out the error their thought process and never for once blatantly called anyone an idiot. Check your facts their sir and post again. :D

Ok, I have checked my facts. Miami-FSU thread. You called someguy an ASSCLOWN because he thought that FSU had better linebackers, and was backing up his argument. I've already written a much larger post in the past about your ethics on the board.

Wow we are so glad that you are an authority figure to straighten all of us out about the Ravens. :rolleyes: Shut it ass clown, your opinions are meaningless and worthless and for you to start nitpicking everyone's posts like you actually have an intelligent thought is ridiculous. Go back to lurking and keep your opinions to your self cause no one else cares!

Bring on the offensive linemen and hybrid defensive players... :D

That didn't take very long to find it. Just went straight to your last pages of posts and it was right there. Don't tell me to check my facts, especially in that smug way. I can't stand it.

I have a vivid picture in my mind of you saying, "you sir are an idiot." It even has your trademark "sir" in it. No, I'm not trying to start a fight or whatever, I just had to prove my point. Although I will say in your favor you have decreased the number of insults directed at board members. Just recognize that you have blatantly called people idiots.

ccB
05-31-2007, 02:03 PM
Wow.... BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRN!

draftguru151
05-31-2007, 02:56 PM
Anyone care to look up all the players that are 6-0 that did not make it into the league? Have a feeling it's a looooooooooot longer.

Ravens1991
05-31-2007, 03:28 PM
But look at the players that are 6'4 and have failed. Some short QB do well and some tall QB do also, but short and tall QB fail to.

EdReedUnstoppable
05-31-2007, 03:35 PM
Troy Smith will be fine, he wins a heisman every is saying late 1st pick, then 1 game where his teammates injure the most dominant weapon on their team, don't block for him, don't catch for him and all of a sudden he can't play anymore. He has been so disrespected that I think he'll turn all this into motivation and when he gets on the field every team is gonna pay for passing on him.

kalbears13
06-07-2007, 10:41 PM

Fran Tarkenton
Joe Theismann
Sonny Jurgensen
Otto Graham
Bobby Layne
Bart Starr
Bob Griese
Doug Floutie
Jeff Blake
Mark Brunell
Rex Grossman
Jeff Garcia
Drew Brees

When you look back at the old QB's of the 60's and 70's or whenever most of those guys played, the majority of the players weren't as tall as they are now. 6'0 or 6'1 half of a century ago is probably the same thing as 6'3-6'4 now. The recent QB's you mentioned also aren't the franchise quarterback someone looks for. Rex Grossman is still a question mark, Jeff Garcia had a few good years in SF and a pretty good year with the Eagles for a year but not really a franchise type of QB. Drew Brees I think is the only exception. It's possible that Troy Smith will be good but if you're trying to prove that there are a lot of franchise short quarterbacks, these comparisons won't help much.

BigDawg819
06-07-2007, 11:04 PM
Ok, I have checked my facts. Miami-FSU thread. You called someguy an ASSCLOWN because he thought that FSU had better linebackers, and was backing up his argument. I've already written a much larger post in the past about your ethics on the board.

That didn't take very long to find it. Just went straight to your last pages of posts and it was right there. Don't tell me to check my facts, especially in that smug way. I can't stand it.

I have a vivid picture in my mind of you saying, "you sir are an idiot." It even has your trademark "sir" in it. No, I'm not trying to start a fight or whatever, I just had to prove my point. Although I will say in your favor you have decreased the number of insults directed at board members. Just recognize that you have blatantly called people idiots.

Wow way to go to one post to make a point instead of reading the whole debate considering that was a long one and -black was insulting peeps before I called him an ASSCLOWN. Like I said check your facts SIR!