PDA

View Full Version : Justin Gatlin Getting a Tryout!

Caddy
05-04-2007, 07:45 PM
http://buccaneers.com/news/newsdetail.aspx?newsid=5781

I think this could be something really exciting too look out for in rookie camp. If the guy can play who wouldn't want his literal world class speed on the team.

JoeSixPac
05-04-2007, 08:03 PM
I think he would really suffer because of the jam.

etk
05-04-2007, 08:12 PM
I think he would really suffer because of the jam.

He wouldn't play a down of offense, Jeez! He would be a kick returner exclusively. You think he can catch a football let alone evade the jam.

Anthony Wollschlager......w00t!

Caddy
05-04-2007, 08:13 PM
He is definitely a long-shot but if he can get too training camp he could be a dark horse to make the roster.

Philliez01
05-04-2007, 08:17 PM
It's good to see Gatlin at least get a shot from the Buccaneers. You don't lose anything and it could (could) end up paying dividends for you guys in the future.

The good thing about Gatlin, other than his speed, is that being an Olympic track stud; you are going to get someone who can be in tip-top shape and probably will excel in work ethic.

If by some stretch, he makes the roster, it'll be fun to watch him but can he make cuts on the field or change direction without losing a step; ala Devin Hester?

Also, if he does succeed, think of the windows that can be opened. Some track runners start to decline in their latter-20s and can make an NFL roster if Gatlin can do this.

-black
05-04-2007, 08:49 PM
excuse me while i try to stay awake

locseti
05-04-2007, 08:55 PM
He had a tryout with the Texans last yr and couldn't make their squad, he's just broke after getting banned from T&F

simms2clayton
05-04-2007, 09:28 PM
He has a .1% chance of making this team. I think Gruden is doing this to motivate our young WRs particulary Clayton and get them to think he is desperate at the WR position even though he isn't. just my 2 cents

Caddy
05-04-2007, 09:39 PM
He hasn't even been given a contract yet so obviously the Buccaneers want to see what he can offer. If they like what they see we could be in for a show come TC.

sweetness34
05-04-2007, 09:41 PM
It's good to see Gatlin at least get a shot from the Buccaneers. You don't lose anything and it could (could) end up paying dividends for you guys in the future.

The good thing about Gatlin, other than his speed, is that being an Olympic track stud; you are going to get someone who can be in tip-top shape and probably will excel in work ethic.

If by some stretch, he makes the roster, it'll be fun to watch him but can he make cuts on the field or change direction without losing a step; ala Devin Hester?

Also, if he does succeed, think of the windows that can be opened. Some track runners start to decline in their latter-20s and can make an NFL roster if Gatlin can do this.

Please don't ever associate Gatlin with Hester again Phillez. :D

Gatlin has more straight line speed, but he doesn't touch Devin's vision or cutting ability. I liken him to more of a Teddy Ginn type player, incredile straight line speed but not a lot of lateral quickness.

Philliez01
05-04-2007, 09:44 PM
Please don't ever associate Gatlin with Hester again Phillez. :D

Gatlin has more straight line speed, but he doesn't touch Devin's vision or cutting ability. I liken him to more of a Teddy Ginn type player, incredile straight line speed but not a lot of lateral quickness.

LOL, I knew someone would mention that! :)

I think Gatlin probably has more straight line speed than anyone in the NFL (if he were to hypothetically make it) but I have not seen him run a juke, or even a cut in my life so that is his biggest obstacle.

And that whole "haven't played football in ages" thing.

Caddy
05-04-2007, 11:51 PM
LOL, I knew someone would mention that! :)

I think Gatlin probably has more straight line speed than anyone in the NFL (if he were to hypothetically make it) but I have not seen him run a juke, or even a cut in my life so that is his biggest obstacle.

And that whole "haven't played football in ages" thing.

It wouldn't have been a Buc fan. We would love to have the next Devin Hester on our team. :)

Merlin
05-05-2007, 07:02 AM
Wasn't he representing your country when he was found to be a drug cheat?

Dwayne "drug cheat" Chambers is playing in the Europa league!

Caddy
05-05-2007, 07:44 AM

He might be a drug cheat, but boy can he run.

etk
05-05-2007, 09:19 AM

Just win baby!

ks_perfection
05-05-2007, 10:58 AM
I wonder what his forty time would be

DHVF
05-05-2007, 11:01 AM

Pipe dreams are nice eh? Also, what in the world makes you believe that being "in shape" to run 100 M in track is the same kind of "in shape" needed to withstand the yearlong beating that football players take?

Philliez01
05-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Pipe dreams are nice eh? Also, what in the world makes you believe that being "in shape" to run 100 M in track is the same kind of "in shape" needed to withstand the yearlong beating that football players take?

I believe that like Jeremy Bloom coming from skiing, that in terms of work ethic; Olympic athletes must be pretty good when it comes to work ethic. Obviously the transition from running 100 M, without pads, without 200+ pound athletic freaks coming at you, without a ball, etc to all of he latter would be a hard transition.

I just made the assumption that Olympic athletes should have a great work ethic which would make them be able to withstand the hardships. Obviously I was probably a bit too "open" with the definition.

Three Step Drop
05-05-2007, 01:24 PM
http://buccaneers.com/news/newsdetail.aspx?newsid=5781

I think this could be something really exciting too look out for in rookie camp. If the guy can play who wouldn't want his literal world class speed on the team.

But how much of the World Class speed was "assisted" ? I thought character was important to the Bucs at the moment, not sure i'm too happy with giving Gatlin a chance...

Merlin
05-05-2007, 02:17 PM
Just win baby!
Aren't you even concerned of the shame he brought onto your country, and how it reflects on your nation in general?

A cheat is a cheat! and I'd rather not have one representing the Bucs.

Gatlin Gun....Gatlin Bum!

etk
05-05-2007, 02:18 PM
But how much of the World Class speed was "assisted" ? I thought character was important to the Bucs at the moment, not sure i'm too happy with giving Gatlin a chance...

What gives you that idea? Gruden has proven for years that he loves to take chances on veterans with character problems or question marks. Darrell Russell, Chris Hovan, MeShawn, etc. Rich McKay is the guy that gave character too much weight and he clashed with Gruden a lot.

etk
05-05-2007, 02:20 PM
Aren't you even concerned of the shame he brought onto your country, and how it reflects on your nation in general?

A cheat is a cheat! and I'd rather not have one representing the Bucs.

Gatlin Gun....Gatlin Bum!

My country? Since when do I give half a **** about American Track & Field. All sprinters cheat & 'roid up, it doesn't matter to us if he can be the guy who finally returns some kicks for TDs.

Merlin
05-05-2007, 02:24 PM
My country? Since when do I give half a **** about American Track & Field. All sprinters cheat & 'roid up, it doesn't matter to us if he can be the guy who finally returns some kicks for TDs.

Well, I'm assuming your American? and why you obviously care little about track and field, how about the American Flag he draped around himself, the one he was representing?

As for "us"....it matters to me!

someone447
05-05-2007, 02:27 PM
Well, I'm assuming your American? and why you obviously care little about track and field, how about the American Flag he draped around himself, the one he was representing?

Just about every Olympic champion cheats, he was just dumb enough to get caught...

Merlin
05-05-2007, 02:34 PM
Just about every Olympic champion cheats, he was just dumb enough to get caught...Phew...thats all right then eh!?!

etk
05-05-2007, 02:35 PM

I'm not American, instead of assuming you can look at my profile.....

You seem to care a lot about "embarassing our franchise" by signing a "cheater", but what's truly embarassing is how every time I watch a Bucs game the commentators mention this fact: The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have never returned a Kickoff for a touchdown in their NFL existence!
Get your priorities straight......

Merlin
05-05-2007, 02:37 PM
I'm not American, instead of assuming you can look at my profile.....

You seem to care a lot about "embarassing our franchise" by signing a "cheater", but what's truly embarassing is how every time I watch a Bucs game the commentators mention this fact: The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have never returned a Kickoff for a touchdown in their NFL existence!
Get your prioritites straight......Oh boy.............

Profile didn't even occur to me...soz.

someone447
05-05-2007, 02:52 PM
Phew...thats all right then eh!?!

No, but it is a fact of life. Cheaters are the ones who make it to the top.

Merlin
05-06-2007, 04:28 AM
No, but it is a fact of life. Cheaters are the ones who make it to the top.So let me get this right then.....your saying EVERYBODY at the top of their sport, cheats....!?!

Walter Payton, Jerry Rice...etc, etc.

etk
05-06-2007, 09:21 AM
So let me get this right then.....your saying EVERYBODY at the top of their sport, cheats....!?!

Walter Payton, Jerry Rice...etc, etc.

Shawne Merriman cheats and he made the Pro Bowl and almost won DMVP. C'mon Merlin, I know you're not that naive. You think 250+ lb football players can run a 4.4 without taking some form of performance-enhancing drug?

You seem to be very concerned about our team image and things of that nature, but I think you are underrating the #1 goal of football: WIN A SUPER BOWL. Even Bill Belichick is bringing in guys like Meriweather, Moss & Thomas (definitely cheats). What do you think matters more to the Glazers: winning or looking clean? Being a good person won't help you get in the endzone.

Three Step Drop
05-06-2007, 12:51 PM
What gives you that idea? Gruden has proven for years that he loves to take chances on veterans with character problems or question marks. Darrell Russell, Chris Hovan, MeShawn, etc. Rich McKay is the guy that gave character too much weight and he clashed with Gruden a lot.

But over the last few drafts the overriding theme was the character of whoever was drafted. For me there wasn't character issues with Hovan just a motivation, i think the combination of Russell and MeShawn has made Gruden think about taking risky picks.

Merlin
05-06-2007, 12:51 PM
Shawne Merriman cheats and he made the Pro Bowl and almost won DMVP. C'mon Merlin, I know you're not that naive. You think 250+ lb football players can run a 4.4 without taking some form of performance-enhancing drug?

You seem to be very concerned about our team image and things of that nature, but I think you are underrating the #1 goal of football: WIN A SUPER BOWL. Even Bill Belichick is bringing in guys like Meriweather, Moss & Thomas (definitely cheats). What do you think matters more to the Glazers: winning or looking clean? Being a good person won't help you get in the endzone.I think I'm worried about sport in general, and those teams/players that represent me/country (as a fan) in the process.

It bugs the **** out of me that drug users (cheats) find their rewards (at least financialy) by playing everyone else as blind fools, and it bugs the **** out of me even more, that their seems to be a number of people prepared to except their role in it?

How many true atheletes haven't rec'd their dues because "we" (and I use that term loosly) are prepared to except that their are those who are prepared to "stack the deck" in their favour.

It cheapens the true atheletes of their place in history........or even on the team!?!

"Being a good person won't help you get in the endzone".......it didn't seem to stop the afore mentioned players, Payton and Rice.

etk
05-06-2007, 01:39 PM
"Being a good person won't help you get in the endzone".......it didn't seem to stop the afore mentioned players, Payton and Rice.

It takes talent more than anything else, and if the NFL doesn't stiffen up on cheaters it will be even harder for good/clean people to succeed. The Derrick Brooks' and Cadillac Williams' are rare exceptions. There's no way of knowing for sure, but I'd bet there's a ton of cheaters in the NFL that we don't know about. Way more than anyone can imagine. Calvin Johnson is 6'5 239 and an unbelievable athlete. I find it hard to believe that he can put up those numbers with natural athleticism and without steroids. Barry Bonds and Vernon Davis are other examples. Fortunately as Bucs fans we can be pretty confident that our best players (Brooks, Rice, etc.) are clean and make up for the "disadvantage" by hard work and late-night windsprints.

-black
05-06-2007, 06:48 PM
do we fight in every thread?

Chucky
05-06-2007, 07:24 PM
Just etk..

etk
05-06-2007, 09:09 PM
Just etk..

and -black

Ignorance is bliss for some, pwning ignorant n00bz is bliss for others.....

Caddy
05-06-2007, 10:24 PM
I enjoy my share of arguments too. But just because people are 'n00bz' doesn't mean they still couldn't 'pwn' you in an argument.

etk
05-06-2007, 11:08 PM
I enjoy my share of arguments too. But just because people are 'n00bz' doesn't mean they still couldn't 'pwn' you in an argument.

n00bz are n00bs because they can't pwn for ****. You don't have to be "n00" to be a n00b either. There are lots of intelligent new posters and ******** post legends.

Perfect example of "ignorance=bliss": 24cadillac24 complains about the Bucs draft and is very disappointed. 24cadillac24 decides to ignore the poor decisions and missteps of the Bucs' draft day after letting it sit in for a while. 24cadillac is happy and blissful because the Bucs' draft was 'competent' as he ignores his previous knowledge of 'missed prospects' to focus on the mediocre ones we drafted.

Caddy
05-06-2007, 11:25 PM
n00bz are n00bs because they can't pwn for ****. You don't have to be "n00" to be a n00b either. There are lots of intelligent new posters and ******** post legends.

Perfect example of "ignorance=bliss": 24cadillac24 complains about the Bucs draft and is very disappointed. 24cadillac24 decides to ignore the poor decisions and missteps of the Bucs' draft day after letting it sit in for a while. 24cadillac is happy and blissful because the Bucs' draft was 'competent' as he ignores his previous knowledge of 'missed prospects' to focus on the mediocre ones we drafted.

Provide the quote that says I was dissapointed with the Buc draft please etk before you accuse me of being ignorant. It is you who is ignorant for making false claims and not being able to back them up with cold hard facts.

I was not dissapointed with the Buc draft at all. Did I question it? Sure. But to say I was "very dissapointed" is an extremely good example of ignorance on you behalf.

Merlin
05-07-2007, 12:49 AM
It takes talent more than anything else, and if the NFL doesn't stiffen up on cheaters it will be even harder for good/clean people to succeed. The Derrick Brooks' and Cadillac Williams' are rare exceptions. There's no way of knowing for sure, but I'd bet there's a ton of cheaters in the NFL that we don't know about. Way more than anyone can imagine. Calvin Johnson is 6'5 239 and an unbelievable athlete. I find it hard to believe that he can put up those numbers with natural athleticism and without steroids. Barry Bonds and Vernon Davis are other examples. Fortunately as Bucs fans we can be pretty confident that our best players (Brooks, Rice, etc.) are clean and make up for the "disadvantage" by hard work and late-night windsprints.Does this count as a Flip-Flop?

Caddy
05-07-2007, 05:29 AM
I just marked your application for the Mock Draft Competition. I'm less than impressed.

etk
05-07-2007, 06:52 PM
I just marked your application for the Mock Draft Competition. I'm less than impressed.

lol I thought I told you how bad mine was. The only nice pick I got was Tim Crowder to Denver, but I never would've expected them to take him if they got Moss in the first

etk
05-07-2007, 06:54 PM
Provide the quote that says I was dissapointed with the Buc draft please etk before you accuse me of being ignorant. It is you who is ignorant for making false claims and not being able to back them up with cold hard facts.

I was not dissapointed with the Buc draft at all. Did I question it? Sure. But to say I was "very dissapointed" is an extremely good example of ignorance on you behalf.

On draft day you sounded pretty pissed, especially after the Sears pick (on AIM). I guess that was just my interpretation. In your words I was "stirring the pot", lol!

Caddy
05-07-2007, 08:52 PM
On draft day you sounded pretty pissed, especially after the Sears pick (on AIM). I guess that was just my interpretation. In your words I was "stirring the pot", lol!

Well you were wrong, or "ignorant" for better choice of word.

jkpigskin
05-07-2007, 09:02 PM
how dare does someone accuse adalius thomas of cheating!

senormysterioso
05-07-2007, 09:07 PM
Just about every Olympic champion cheats, he was just dumb enough to get caught...

that is the most assinine statement I've ever laid eyes on. the olympics have the most rigorous drug testing standards in competion at any level. They know what their athletes had for diner 14 years ago. Nobody gets tested like olympic athletes.

-black
05-07-2007, 09:27 PM
I made a mock draft in march and got like 9 right :)

etk
05-07-2007, 09:37 PM
Well you were wrong, or "ignorant" for better choice of word.

If AIM had message histories I could show you, but after Sears was picked you were very disappointed. That was only 1 pick 10 but you can't tell me you were happy when we took him.

Wrong was the right choice of word, ignorant wouldn't make sense in that context.

Chucky
05-07-2007, 09:56 PM
LEts look at the bigger issue here, he would be sick in madden, if hester got 100 speed , he would have to get 150

etk
05-07-2007, 10:00 PM
He would probably get 99. Don't get caught up in the 100 speed thing for Hester, it's purely a marketing ploy and a damn good one if you ask me.

Caddy
05-07-2007, 10:31 PM
If AIM had message histories I could show you, but after Sears was picked you were very disappointed. That was only 1 pick 10 but you can't tell me you were happy when we took him.

Wrong was the right choice of word, ignorant wouldn't make sense in that context.

To say I was disappointed is stretching the truth. I questioned the move and I still question the move however in a fundamental sense, upgrading the offensive line is a good move.

The word ignorant was fine in that context.

Caddy
05-07-2007, 10:33 PM
When talking realism, the Madden franchise is probably not the best indicator. The game will never virtually recreate the NFL. The only reason the game is produced is too make money, which is something etk kind of alluded to.

supermario86
05-08-2007, 02:48 PM
This guy has a 3.9 40 time do any of you guys understand how great that is? I think that is the fastest 40 time ever! He is the ultimate deep threat. Not a single corner would be able to catch up to him. He is like a young Joey Galloway. This guy is gonna be freakin great but you guys don't realize it. At worst he could be like Jerome Mathis at kick returner.

supermario86
05-08-2007, 03:22 PM
He is a abeast

Caddy
05-08-2007, 04:18 PM
Speed means nothing if he hasn't got the vision to match.

ks_perfection
05-09-2007, 10:53 AM
Speed means nothing if he hasn't got the vision to match.

And the agility to make cuts and turns.

Merlin
05-09-2007, 11:51 AM
This guy has a 3.9 40 time do any of you guys understand how great that is? I think that is the fastest 40 time ever! He is the ultimate deep threat. Not a single corner would be able to catch up to him. He is like a young Joey Galloway. This guy is gonna be freakin great but you guys don't realize it. At worst he could be like Jerome Mathis at kick returner.Yeah....he's so good the Texans (I think it was?) cut him loose last year........

-black
05-09-2007, 12:01 PM
I remember it was a glitch in Gameday 2000 where the ratings would keep going up. Like in Franchise Mode after 3-4 years Sapp's overall rating went up to like 107 i was like OH SNap! but as his ratings keep getting redicolously high (his speed was like 80 wtf) his cap kept getting high and soon it was like 40 million dollars a year and I couldnt resign him. That happened to like 3 of my players (I believe it was Sapp, Brooks, and Lynch)

someone447
05-09-2007, 12:54 PM
that is the most assinine statement I've ever laid eyes on. the olympics have the most rigorous drug testing standards in competion at any level. They know what their athletes had for diner 14 years ago. Nobody gets tested like olympic athletes.

Continue to believe that, there are performance enhancers that are untestable. I can almost guarantee there are performance enhancers the general public doesn't know about yet. Unfortunately the Olympic world goes by the mantra, if you aint cheatin' you aint tryin'.

Caddy
05-09-2007, 04:23 PM
Continue to believe that, there are performance enhancers that are untestable. I can almost guarantee there are performance enhancers the general public doesn't know about yet. Unfortunately the Olympic world goes by the mantra, if you aint cheatin' you aint tryin'.

It is a shame that the world is spending more money researching performance enhancing drugs and how to cover them up than they are on a cure for cancer.

Gatlin has had his try out and didn't get a contract so we may have heard the last of him in Tampa.

Phrost
05-09-2007, 04:58 PM
LEts look at the bigger issue here, he would be sick in madden, if hester got 100 speed , he would have to get 150

Funny I thought he same thing.

Also I had another thought, young players get better or worse in Madden Franchises right? Then can other players get 100 speed due to an increase in talent or no?

etk
05-09-2007, 08:11 PM
Funny I thought he same thing.

Also I had another thought, young players get better or worse in Madden Franchises right? Then can other players get 100 speed due to an increase in talent or no?

Speed never increases....NEVER.

supermario86
05-15-2007, 07:16 PM
Yeah....he's so good the Texans (I think it was?) cut him loose last year........

Jerome Mathis

Merlin
05-16-2007, 04:36 AM
Jerome MathisErr.....what?

Watchman
05-16-2007, 10:54 AM

I would say that the Bucs don't have a higher frequency of questionable character players than any other NFL franchise. I don't know of any character problems Hovan really had other than being an underachiever in MIN. Russell's problems were well documented, but he was also immediately cut loose from the Bucs when he slipped. Rich McKay who, "gave character to much weight," is the one who traded 2 first round picks for Keyshawn, while Gruden was the HC for the Oakland Raiders.