PDA

View Full Version : Can Nick Saban Turn the Crimson Tide Around?

VY10
05-05-2007, 12:56 PM
92,000 at their spring game and the #10 recruiting class would sound like a good start for almost any college football program. But, 'Bama is in the SEC which, IMO, is the toughest college football conference there is by a long shot. Do you guys think Nick Saban can truly bring 'Bama back?

VY10
05-05-2007, 12:57 PM
Sorry, Rivals has them as the #10 recruiting class.

TigerBait45
05-05-2007, 06:58 PM
He can, but they may not give him enough time. I've always kinda thought he was pretty overrated as a coach.

Hes a great recruiter and a great defensive guy but he only had one 10+ win season at LSU. His teams sometimes came unprepared to play. He can stock the cuppard like he did for Les Miles but I don't see him around long enough to win a title in Alabama..either by his choice or the AD's.

SouthernPride396
05-05-2007, 09:21 PM
AD Mal Moore isn't going to fire Saban. Ever. He's been through (I believe) 4 coaching changes and doesn't want to be involved in another. He hung on to Mike Shula as hard as he could, giving him pay raise and extension after pay raise and extension. I can't fathom him firing Saban.

Second, Alabama fans have been moiled in mediocrity for about 8-10 years now. Nobody is expecting to to win an SEC title in 1, 2, 3 or even 4 years. I'd say expectations are that bama is ranked in the top 25 in two years, and regularly in the top 15 in 4.

The only way Saban leaves is by choice, or by failing harder than Mike Shula for 3 years. He's got the highest salary of any NCAA coach, the atmosphere him and his family is looking to live in, an dthe control he wants over his program. To be honest, if he left alabama, where would he go?

As for how he'll do, it really depends on the defense. The players have really bought into his system. The offense returns with only one question at RB. There's holes at NT and OLB, as well as the secondary. Fortunately, defense is Saban's forte.

Schedule:
Western Carolina: Win

Vanderbilt: An improving program, but still a win.

Arkansas: If they had a decent coach, an offensive coordinator, or a quarterback, they'd be nasty: Win

Georgia: Down last year, but I expect them to rebound with better QB play and offensive production: Loss

Florida State: hard to call. FSU has great potential, but also a bust factor next year.

Houston Win

Ole Miss Ed Orgeron's team continues to fail. Win

Tennessee: Solidly talented team with a dynamo OC. Loss

LSU: Possibly biggest game of the year, but Bama doesn't have the talent. Loss

Mississippi State: The tailgating will be good as always, but Win

LA Monroe: Win

Auburn: I really think that this will be auburn's off year despite their heralded tailback talent due to QB and reciever issues. Close, but Win.

Worst Case: 7-5
Best Case: 9-3

princefielder28
05-05-2007, 09:28 PM
Saban will struggle a bit in his first season, but as he incorporates his system and gets the recruits he will continually progress until they're a national power again in 4 to 5 years. To expect conference championships in the next few years is a reach but give it time and it'll come

sweetness34
05-05-2007, 09:43 PM
I think he can, but that's if he actually stays there for some time. I have a feeling he'll jump ship if a big college program fires their coach (hmmmm Michigan maybe?)

Ace
05-05-2007, 10:12 PM
**** Nick Saban.

-black
05-06-2007, 01:04 PM
give him some time and he will have Bama at the very least rivaling Auburn.

he is a fantastic recruiter, but I do feel he is a bit overated as a coach. I mean aside from his NC year, none of his seasons truly were great (@ LSU or Michigan State).

OhioState
05-06-2007, 01:19 PM
I think he can, but that's if he actually stays there for some time. I have a feeling he'll jump ship if a big college program fires their coach (hmmmm Michigan maybe?)

i'm thinking he will want to stay in the SEC but i could see him taking as huge a job as that, nothing less though

VY10
05-06-2007, 01:26 PM
Well the Alabama job is pretty big. He's getting an absolute ton of money to try and bring back the tide to the prestigious program they were in the past.

JT Jag
05-06-2007, 03:27 PM
The expectation is to be the best program in the state within 2 or 3 years, best in the West within 4 years, and to win a conference championship some short period of time after that. The faithful aren't extremely patient, and they have high hopes, as shown from the record turnout at the Spring Game.

Right now, I'm thinking 9-3 next year, 10-2 the year after that (but shaky, with a lot of close games), and 10-2 once again after that--- with much more decisive wins, including a few big wins against top-25 teams. It's going to take a few years of recruiting for Saban to fully implement his 3-4 defense, which will be the backbone of the team when developed.

This is coming from an Alabama student, FYI.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
05-06-2007, 05:10 PM
He will..

In 2-3 years they will be a dominant program.

doingthisinsteadofwork
05-06-2007, 05:17 PM
I'll say he does.

504 to ATL
05-06-2007, 07:13 PM
You have to remember how loaded programs like UGA, LSU, UF, AU, and Tenn are right now.

Alabama might be able to move past teams like AU, and Tenn shortly but UGA, LSU, and UF from top to bottom have 10x more talent than Alabama has.

Unless Alabama can win recruiting wars between UGA, LSU, and UF soon it will take a number of years for them to move ahead of those schools. Which I dont see happening soon because UF if I remember correctly is dominating college sports and will most likely only get richer in recruiting in the comming years.

UGA's last class was stocked and this years is no different. LSU has arguablly the most talent in the nation maybe only behind USC, and LSU will contine to go to BCS bowls so recruiting will not die down for them either.

In other words Alabama will not win an SEC title anytime soon nor go to a BCS bowl. Maybe 5 or more years from now but that is another story.

SouthernPride396
05-06-2007, 08:21 PM
You have to remember how loaded programs like UGA, LSU, UF, AU, and Tenn are right now.

Alabama might be able to move past teams like AU, and Tenn shortly but UGA, LSU, and UF from top to bottom have 10x more talent than Alabama has.

Unless Alabama can win recruiting wars between UGA, LSU, and UF soon it will take a number of years for them to move ahead of those schools. Which I dont see happening soon because UF if I remember correctly is dominating college sports and will most likely only get richer in recruiting in the comming years.

UGA's last class was stocked and this years is no different. LSU has arguablly the most talent in the nation maybe only behind USC, and LSU will contine to go to BCS bowls so recruiting will not die down for them either.

In other words Alabama will not win an SEC title anytime soon nor go to a BCS bowl. Maybe 5 or more years from now but that is another story.

From Rivals:

2007 Recruiting
1. UF
2. USC
3. UT
4. LSU
5. Texas
6. South Carloina
7. Auburn
8. ND
9. UGA
10 Alabama

2006 Recruiting
1. USC
2. UF
3. FSU
4. UGA
5. Texas
6. PSU
7. LSU
8. ND
9. Oklahoma
10. Auburn
10. Alabama

It's not as if Bama's recruiting is really all that far behind, and you have to expect it to get better.

Also, you act as if Bama hasn't ever been in SEC title contention in recent years. You forget 2 years ago when Bama was one game short of taking the West.

Yes, Bama has some ground to cover to catch up to other SEC programs, but it's a gross exaggeration to say other teams have "10x" as much talent. Also, i expect the Tide to be second in the West in a few years, effectively putting them a misstep by LSU away from the title game.

-black
05-06-2007, 08:31 PM

if Bama moves past Ten and Auburn then they will be in the SEC championship game every other year (just like Ten and Aub).

your post implies that UF, Geogria, and LSU is 10x's more talented than Auburn and Ten

btw, Auburn beat Florida and Ten destroyed Georgia......

neither Florida nor LSU has went undefeated....its something Auburn accomplishded a few years ago.....Auburn has been more consistent than Florida

VY10
05-06-2007, 10:12 PM
If you look at their record last year there were only 2 losses by which Bama lost by more than 8 and that was Florida at Florida and LSU at LSU. Both won BCS bowls including UF's national championship.

There were also two really close losses - One to Arkansas by 1 in OT and one to Tennessee by 3.

With the new top 10 recruiting classes and Saban coming in I can only see things improving drastically in about 2-3 years if not immediatley.

simms2clayton
05-07-2007, 02:46 AM
Not this season...but in 2 years they will challenge for the SEC West and win 9-10 games.

constant cough
05-07-2007, 10:00 AM
He'll have to go through LSU and Auburn first, so the answer to your question is NO.

TigerBait45
05-07-2007, 12:44 PM
THe thing thats really gonna hurt him is having another powerhouse in the same state.

At LSU he could get every big time player in the state if only because theres no other top tier school in the state. Louisiana has tons of high school talent so if you can keep it in state you'll build a monster.

At Alabama he'll have to outrecruit Auburn, which is by no means easy, and it seems to me that the state has much less high school talent in a given year than his last job.

I think a lot of people at Alabama are expecting a quick turn-around..but thats most likely not going to be the case. Hes a great recuiter but its going to take some time to build up that program again.

SouthernPride396
05-07-2007, 09:42 PM
THe thing thats really gonna hurt him is having another powerhouse in the same state.

At LSU he could get every big time player in the state if only because theres no other top tier school in the state. Louisiana has tons of high school talent so if you can keep it in state you'll build a monster.

At Alabama he'll have to outrecruit Auburn, which is by no means easy, and it seems to me that the state has much less high school talent in a given year than his last job.

I think a lot of people at Alabama are expecting a quick turn-around..but thats most likely not going to be the case. Hes a great recuiter but its going to take some time to build up that program again.

One reason for auburn's rise in recruiting in recent years was saban's departure from LSU. He owned south Alabama (Dothan Mobile etc.) and had considerable influence in the deep south.

Word is, he's already put his roots back in down in South Alabama. Living in Hoover, alabama, I know that most of the guys around here were looking to play for Auburn until saban walked in.

Mike Shula was a solid recruiter (a la Zook) but, he didn't have the ties and influence Saban has. I'd look for Auburn to suffer in in-state recruiting at Bama's expense in the near future.

constant cough
05-08-2007, 08:17 AM
One reason for auburn's rise in recruiting in recent years was saban's departure from LSU. He owned south Alabama (Dothan Mobile etc.) and had considerable influence in the deep south.

I don't know about that LSU's still been pulling talent out of Mobile even without Saban, got two guys from Mobile in last Feb's signing class.

xUFxGATORxUFx
05-08-2007, 08:24 AM
I think they have a good chance of winning the SEC West

LionSmack
05-08-2007, 08:43 AM
I don't follow the SEC but it seems to me like there's enough talent in Florida and other southern states to go around. After all, players from down there are highly recruited by schools throughout the country and become playmakers at many schools besides those in the SEC.

Between the three Florida universities, Auburn, and LSU, they can still only take a certain number of guys. Even if Bama doesn't start getting the guys at the very top, they will still get many great prospects.

I think Saban's a jerk but he will have Bama back at a competitive level in two years. If he really does stay there, he'll have them contending in the SEC in 4 at the most.

PalmerToCJ
05-08-2007, 10:12 AM
Yes. A well known coach at a university like Alabama with the tradition and fan support... It will be extremely hard for him to not turn them around.

TigerBait45
05-08-2007, 02:37 PM

Word is, he's already put his roots back in down in South Alabama. Living in Hoover, alabama, I know that most of the guys around here were looking to play for Auburn until saban walked in.

Mike Shula was a solid recruiter (a la Zook) but, he didn't have the ties and influence Saban has. I'd look for Auburn to suffer in in-state recruiting at Bama's expense in the near future.

I suppose thats true. I've always seen him as an incredible recruiter, but talent alone doesn't win. Some of his teams at LSU had a tendency to not show up prepared. They put it together for one season, and even then they lost a game they should've won.

We'll have to wait and see how it turns out, I guess. I think that the coach who comes in after him will probably have more success than Saban did on the field, but I could be wrong about that.

JT Jag
05-08-2007, 02:44 PM
I don't know about that LSU's still been pulling talent out of Mobile even without Saban, got two guys from Mobile in last Feb's signing class.That's because Saban established a pipeline there for them.

His first objective will be to cut off that pipeline, and slow down the flow of recruits Auburn gets from what he considers to be "his" recruiting property--- through you can't cut Auburn out entirely out of any part of Alabama.

Then, Saban will work to re-establish the numerous connections he established in Baton Rouge and the surrounding areas.

After all, turnabout is fair play.

TigerBait45
05-08-2007, 08:38 PM
He didn't make any friends in Louisiana this recruiting season.. I think he'll have a pretty rough go of things in trying to re-establish his connections in the state for a little while.

It also doesn't hurt that LSU is having monumental success right now and that Les Miles is showing a pretty good recruiters touch. He's showing that he can keep the best players in state just like Saban did.

The SEC's coaches are brutal right now.

constant cough
05-09-2007, 10:48 AM
Yeah I agree I don't see Saban making any inroads in Louisiana, he isn't exactally well liked down here anymore. You should hear what Rayville or West Monroe's coaches have to say about him. They basically said they will steer all their recruits over to LSU.

Saban may or may not cut off LSU's pipeline to Mobile but that doesn't change the fact that since he left LSU has still been able to recruit Moblie and neither Auburn nor Saban has stopped that, yet. We'll see.

Saban is more of a threat to Auburn recruiting than to LSU. LSU recruits Louisiana,Texas, Mississippi and some Alabama and Flroida. If Saban starts beating LSU I can see it affecting Alabama recruiting but Saban will never have any affect on LSU's ablity to recruit Louisiana or Texas. I don't even see it affecting LSU's Mississippi recruiting, LSU has always recruiting Miss well even during the bad years.

Alabama and LSU's recruiting territory doesn't overlap enough for Saban to make a difference to LSU's recruiting even if he does start winning. In short, I'm not worried about Saban I'm much more concerned about Auburn and Florida.

saintsfan912
05-13-2007, 07:08 PM
Not to mention Louisiana's talent is far superior to Alabama's. He can shut off the state all he wants but he wont come in and get any of LAs studs.

reese
05-15-2007, 04:02 PM
i hope not...the last thing we need is another consistant team in the SEC

miketomczak
05-16-2007, 02:19 PM
The SEC is crazy good. I would always get mad when i would hear people say the ACC was so great and blah blah blah when their only good team was FSU. I grew up near Pittsburgh and I'm a Big East (unfortunately) and Big Ten fan. So i feel i'm unbiased when i say the SEC is the best right now, and its not that close. I was shocked when the ball coach went to SC. what was he thinking? trying to build SC when its hard enough to rebuild a team like Alabama. although Spurrier seems to be doing pretty well. anyway, this is my first post...and i have a stupid question...do you pay money for people to make the sigs, or do they just do it for fun? Go Pitt!

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
05-16-2007, 02:25 PM
Saban will lead Alabama to a winning season and a modest Bowl Game in 2007. In 2008, he will lead the Dallas Cowboys to the playoffs.

TigerBait45
05-17-2007, 01:42 AM
You think he'll leave that fast? I'm not so sure about that..I think NFL teams may not think about him because of his track record.

reese
05-17-2007, 01:46 AM
im a miami fan and unlike most of our fans i think he was on the right track in the nfl...he made a couple mistakes but who wouldnt at first...but i def dont think he is leavin to go back after 1 year....

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
05-17-2007, 09:33 AM
You think he'll leave that fast? I'm not so sure about that..I think NFL teams may not think about him because of his track record.

I was joking... but nothing would shock me with Saban.

I do think that if the Cowboys miss the playoffs in 2007, Jerry Jones is going to fire Wade Phillips and bring in a big name coach. I'd predict he'd make a run at someone like a Bill Cowher, Marty Schottenheimer, Pete Carroll, or possibly, depending on how quick things turn around at Alabama, Nick Saban. What I'd really like to see is Jerry admitting the biggest mistake he's ever made and luring Jimmy Johnson back to Big D.

Sorry, didn't mean to get that much off topic...

constant cough
05-17-2007, 10:06 AM
Saban has never stayed any place longer than 5 years.

TigerBait45
05-17-2007, 03:53 PM
Ah, its kinda hard to pick up sarcasm over the internet, haha.

LonghornsLegend
05-17-2007, 05:05 PM
some of you guys act like the tide never changes, as if the same schools who are winning now will stay that way...

if thats the case explain why FSU is a bottom tier team in their conference with the same head coach, and exceptional recruiting dating back since 1999? programs get better, and Alabama was never a "bad" one to begin with...they have plenty of talent, alot of time its just they need a coach to implement things together and bring that swagger along with them...you dont think he will have his guys ready to play LSU every time they step on the field together?

just like spurrier has SC ready to play UF, and that game is usually a toss up down to the final minutes of the 4th...yes UF has alot more talent then SC, and normally would consider that game an easy win before spurrier took over, now every year its a toss up....

so id expect this year to be pretty good for Saban, but after he gets 2 solid years of recruits under his belt i see no reason why 'bama shouldnt be contending for the SEC title

VY10
05-17-2007, 08:01 PM
Very true. Busts, injuries, and upsets can really turn a program backwards. No one can stay on top forever, just some longer than others.

-black
05-17-2007, 08:30 PM
some of you guys act like the tide never changes, as if the same schools who are winning now will stay that way...

if thats the case explain why FSU is a bottom tier team in their conference with the same head coach, and exceptional recruiting dating back since 1999? programs get better, and Alabama was never a "bad" one to begin with...they have plenty of talent, alot of time its just they need a coach to implement things together and bring that swagger along with them...you dont think he will have his guys ready to play LSU every time they step on the field together?

just like spurrier has SC ready to play UF, and that game is usually a toss up down to the final minutes of the 4th...yes UF has alot more talent then SC, and normally would consider that game an easy win before spurrier took over, now every year its a toss up....

so id expect this year to be pretty good for Saban, but after he gets 2 solid years of recruits under his belt i see no reason why 'bama shouldnt be contending for the SEC title

:(.............................

Acreboy
05-17-2007, 09:48 PM
Saban as a Coach=Awesome

Saban as a recruiter=Very, very bad

He'll need some good recruiters.

He can turn them into a contender but just for the SEC, thats it. Nothing for the NC.

TigerBait45
05-17-2007, 10:14 PM
Thats totally opposite of what I see him as. He recruited the living hell out of the south when he was at LSU but those teams still regularly underpreformed and lost games they should've won (Alabama-Birmingham for instance).

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
05-18-2007, 08:30 AM
Saban as a Coach=Awesome

He can turn them into a contender but just for the SEC, thats it. Nothing for the NC.

Kidding?

JaMarcus Russell
LaRon Landry
Dwayne Bowe
Craig Davis
Glenn Dorsey
Early Doucet
Claude Wroten
Tyson Jackson
Matt Flynn
Marcus Spears
Michael Clayton

...all recruited by Saban.

VY10
05-18-2007, 11:32 AM
Saban as a Coach=Awesome

Go to rivals and check out his recruiting classes while he was at LSU. They were stacked.

-black
05-18-2007, 11:44 AM
Kidding?

JaMarcus Russell
LaRon Landry
Dwayne Bowe
Craig Davis
Glenn Dorsey
Early Doucet
Claude Wroten
Tyson Jackson
Matt Flynn
Marcus Spears
Michael Clayton

...all recruited by Saban.

not entirely true.......while yes he was the coach there, not all of them were recruited by Saban personally. I know for a fact Bowe was recruited by Jimbo Fisher...

I expect him to get some great defensive recruits, but not because of his actual recruiting skills, but because of Kevin Steele

Finsfan79
05-18-2007, 12:25 PM
He will be gone in a few years anyways