PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Improvement

Yung Flippa
05-05-2007, 02:49 PM
Which team do you think will have the biggest improvment from last year?

sweetness34
05-05-2007, 02:53 PM
I think Atlanta has a shot, but I really don't know.

UKfan
05-05-2007, 02:59 PM
Raiders IMO, they had a decent draft, the line SHOULD be better, they aren't going to make huge strides, but they are heading the right way.

awfullyquiet
05-05-2007, 03:00 PM
zona finally SHOULD start getting around better.
whether or not it's because the cards will perpetually get stuck in mediocrity

detroit might actually gain four wins this year over last year. i mean, it's not horrible, just very young, minus the kitna-nator. SF will make 8-8 this year for sure, if not be a serious contender for a play off spot.

AdrianWilson12
05-05-2007, 03:00 PM
San Francisco seem to be the trendy choice. The can certainly win their division. Nolan has transformed that team from near talentless, to good on paper in just 3 years. I really like their depth and think as a young team they'll really progress this year.

I also think Atlanta and Cleveland will be a fair bit better, although that might not reflect in their record. They are both in very tough divisions IMO. I think Petrino will do excellent for Atlanta, especially offensively.

I think Houston might be quite improved, although that is just a hunch. I could see their defense being dominant this year, against the run for sure. Their offense is lacking in talent though, minus Johnson.

JCshutEmDown
05-05-2007, 03:22 PM
Browns and Bucs

Shiver
05-05-2007, 03:27 PM
I think Detroit will surprise people. I am a Rod Marinelli believer.

Philliez01
05-05-2007, 03:30 PM
I like Detroit as well, but my pick is going to be the Arizona Cardinals. The Niners are the talk of the town in that division, and much deserved, but I really think Leinart and the addition of Grimm, Whiz and Brown; I really think this is the team that can challenge Seattle.

Also, there DL could be something to watch providing Berry comes back healthy (for once) and the combo of Watson / Branch could be devastating.

HawkeyeFan
05-05-2007, 04:09 PM
49ers, Rams, Browns, Bucs, Panthers

Ewing
05-05-2007, 04:19 PM
Either the Browns or the Bucs.

Achilles33
05-05-2007, 04:27 PM
The Browns are the Arizona of this year. They will get all this pre-season hype, and then suck, just like Arizona last year.

RaiderNation
05-05-2007, 04:28 PM
Raiders. Offence will improve alot and the defence will still be top 5-10. i think 7-9 or 8-8 is a big possibility

49erfaithful
05-05-2007, 04:29 PM
SF, we have made great improvments on our D, espically in our secondary, and our WR's are solid and reliable

bearsfan_51
05-05-2007, 04:40 PM
If you're just talking about in terms of wins and losses (since that's all that counts) then I'll say Raiders or Lions. The Raiders could win 7 games, or the Lions could win 8 games next year and make a 5 game improvement. If you're looking at a team like the Niners, they would have to go 12-4 or the Panthers would have to go 13-3 to do the same.

Basically what I'm saying is that the team that makes the biggest improvement will be a team that won 6 games or less last year. The less games you've won, the easier it is to improve your record.

Phrost
05-05-2007, 04:43 PM
The Bucs will have another inflated Win amount and possibly make playoffs, because of a WCO veteran QB.

Caddy
05-05-2007, 06:03 PM
The Bucs will have another inflated Win amount and possibly make playoffs, because of a WCO veteran QB.

I really don't think Garcia will be able to inflate the Buccaneer's win/loss ratio on his own. If the Buccaneers have more wins this season it will be due to a combination of increased offensive line play, more yards from Caddy, stopping the run on defense and making plays in the backfield.

Hines
05-05-2007, 06:39 PM
the steelers will be better than last year =)

Addict
05-05-2007, 06:46 PM
Bucs should be better... Raiders can't be worse, so they'll improve... I think Detroit (homer!!!) will be better, not great, maybe not even very good, but better. Maybe if Arizona gets it's act together on O-Line they'll improve.

Vikes should be better, Carolina should definately get back to the playoffs.

Splat
05-05-2007, 06:51 PM
I would say the Cards but I said them the last few years and then they let me done that being said NE is tough on paper.

duckseason
05-05-2007, 06:56 PM
I agree with the 49er pick. I've been high on them ever since they hired Nolan. It's only a matter of time before they make a deep run into the playoffs. Every move they've made recently I've found myself nodding my head and thinking to myself how much I love what they're doing. I see them and the Cardinals replacing the Seahawks and Rams as the two teams who will duke it out for the division title each year. Although nothing lasts for very long in this league anymore. But you guys get what I mean. There is a power shift occurring right now out west. imo.

Kurve
05-05-2007, 07:02 PM
Raiders will as long as the offense plays better.....because i truely beleive last year if there offense was medicore at best we could of won 7 or 8 games because the defense kept us in many games we should of been blown out in.

kalbears13
05-05-2007, 07:24 PM
I hope the Cardinals do well and I think they will do well because they haven't been to a Super Bowl before. I, as a Browns fan, feel their pain. They've definitely are on their way to the playoffs very soon. As will the 49ers.

drmoyer421
05-05-2007, 07:47 PM
Bills -

I know most have written them off because of getting rid of thier veterans. But Levy did that last year and with the release of Milloy, Moulds, Posey, Adams, and Vincent.. and everyone had them pegged for the first pick of this years draft and they ended up in the playoff hunt till the last game.

They have the SAME offensive system, with Losman who has been improving and finally with the same coaching staff as stability. They increased thier offensive line with the aquisistion of Dockery. And replaced the loss of McGahee with the tandum of Lynch, Atrain, and Dwayne Wright.

Spikes was never really a factor in last years games, and Ellison stepped in and played extremely well in his place when he was injured finishing with close to 70 tackles in only starting 6 games and playing in 14.

Crowell is a 100+ tackler when healthy and is VERY underrated having to play behind Spikes and Posey when he was young.

And Poslusney will come in and make an immediate impact at MLB.

The only weakness is with the loss of Clements, but with the Cover 2 you can hide your CBs with a strong Dline rush and excellent saftey help. Schobel and Kelsay continue to improve and excell in this system at the defensive end posistion. McCargo will come off of his year injury and help, and they aquired Darwin Walker from the Eagles who had 6 sacks last year at DT.

portermvp84
05-05-2007, 07:49 PM
The Raiders and the 49ers. Both the teams had a good offseason, the 49ers dominated free agency. The Raiders dominated the draft. I think that the 49ers could have a chance to win their divison and make it into the playoffs. The Raiders I could easily see going 8-8 or 7-9. It just all depends how their line does.

JT Jag
05-05-2007, 07:59 PM
Though it likely won't be the biggest improvement, I could easially see the Jaguars going 12-4.

Draft King
05-05-2007, 09:10 PM
To avoid being a homer I'm going with the Bills. Although they lost a franchise corner in Clements, and a solid runner in Willis, they rebounded with a great draft and Lynch will do more than just fit McGahee's shoes. Some believe that the loss of Takeo Spikes will also hurt this team, but the truth is, Spikes hasn't made much of an impact since the '04 seasons and has had constant problems with injuries. In trading Spikes they shored up their D-Line with Darwin Walker and the return of injured former 1st rounder John McCargo, who has a ton of potential. They also made vast improvements to a relatively weak O-Line, and a years more experience for the connection of Losmon to Evans, which will prove to be deadly this season.

princefielder28
05-05-2007, 09:13 PM
San Francisco; they've made some big additions to the squad and Mike Nolan has the team headed in the right direction. I think this team could contend for a playoff spot if Alex Smith can develop a solid passing game with Vernon Davis, Ashlie Lelie, and Jason Hill

rainbeaukid2
05-05-2007, 09:47 PM
the niners

they had a great draft/offseason and have had fairly productive ones the last couple of years

YAYareaRB
05-05-2007, 09:56 PM
The 49ers.

Solid Offseason and Draft. Alex Smith keeps improving and Frank Gore came up BIG last season. The Offense's progress will depend on whether the O-Line can come together and protect Alex Smith and block for Gore. On a side note, it would help if Alex Smith could get the ball to DJack, Lelie, Battle, and JHill.

Our defense will really be tested but our defensive backfield is pretty impressive. Michael Lewis is coming off of a down year but will be looking to rebound back with the 49ers. Nate Clements/Walt Harris/Shawntae Spencer will be holding it down. Our D Line will be tested this year with an aging Bryant Young and Marques Douglas. Aubrayo Franklin should help us out A LOT. Our LB corps improved from last year, Willis will come in and start right away and Brandon Moore is coming off a big year. Manny Lawson is slated to play strong side.

I could see us winning the division.

crazyisme
05-05-2007, 09:57 PM
jsut a question as to why people think the Bucs will be so much better. They dont have a QB their best WR is what, 40? they really dont have that good of an oline, their RB is football's version of Mark Prior, add into the fact that they'll probably cut lose rice, and their defense is getting old as hell.

I'd put the Buc's as one of the worst teams in the league in 2007

stl9erfan
05-05-2007, 11:25 PM
In terms of wins and losses, I'd say Tampa. I have to believe that Caddy will be better in 07, and either Garcia or Simms should solidify the QB situation. I also really like what they've been doing with their OL, and I think the defensive draft they just had will pump a lot of fresh blood into their cover 2 D. IMO Piscitelli, Adams, Quincy Black, and Tanard Jackson could all start at some point this year. I think they're a solid sleeper pick for a playoff spot in the NFC this year.

In terms of overall talent, I'd say the 9ers will be the most improved. They could very well start the season with six new starters on defense (Clements, M. Lewis, Franklin, Banta-Cain, Willis, and McDonald) and three on offense (D-Jack, Lelie/Hill, and Staley), talent-wise the team will have improved by leaps and bounds. But after a 7-9 season in '06, I think 10-6 is a reasonable expectation in '07. A three win improvement is good, but I would expect some other team to do better.

SuperMcGee
05-06-2007, 12:13 AM
To avoid being a homer I'm going with the Bills. Although they lost a franchise corner in Clements, and a solid runner in Willis, they rebounded with a great draft and Lynch will do more than just fit McGahee's shoes. Some believe that the loss of Takeo Spikes will also hurt this team, but the truth is, Spikes hasn't made much of an impact since the '04 seasons and has had constant problems with injuries. In trading Spikes they shored up their D-Line with Darwin Walker and the return of injured former 1st rounder John McCargo, who has a ton of potential. They also made vast improvements to a relatively weak O-Line, and a years more experience for the connection of Losmon to Evans, which will prove to be deadly this season.

Our offense can be good this year, depending on how the receivers not named Evans perform. Right side of the line needs to perform well despite what I see as a whole lot of not much. I like our RB. Big year for Losman as I see our offense as what we might actually need to be our strong point.
Defense, there are a lot of questions. Outside of Schobel, Crowell, and now Whitner, there's just some uneasiness. Our LE's may be fine, but DT is still a weak point until someone finally steps up (you mentioned the two guys we've seen the least of, so there's definitely a chance of impovement). LBs are inexperienced (Ellison has shown he deserves to start but has never technically had a full starting gig, and has to earn his keep and also perform above his size if he starts at SLB). As we've seen though, this might not be a problem. Simpson still has a lot of improvement ahead of him, and neither of our starting corners, even in our scheme, may be up to their tasks. But nobody knows really what to expect from Youboty, and McGee did look really good the later half of least season, hopefully he can handle some tougher matchups. And somebody get Kiwaukee some stickum.

Nitschke-Hawk
05-06-2007, 12:47 AM
Cardinals, even though I disagree with their "most popular name left on the board" draft philosophy.

Jensen
05-06-2007, 12:50 AM
Probably the 49ers. They improved vastly over the offseason, and have a good shot at winning the division. They improved their defense with Clements from free agency, and Willis from the draft.

The Cardinals should do better than last year. Improved O-Line, Leinart with some experience, and a new coaching staff. Hopefully the defense can step up this year, although the secondary is still iffy.

wogitalia
05-06-2007, 10:21 AM
Raiders and Lions stick out. Raiders werent as bad as their record last year but it will depend on the OL and QB play. Both are a complete random factor going in.

Lions have a lot of young guys but they look alright on paper in a cupcake division. Will be random also though, could just as easily be worse.

Cleveland will improve considerably as the season progresses and probably win 3 more games.

Arizona should improve significantly if Whisenhunt can get his system installed and running with the talent they have.

Atlanta though are the obvious choice. If the coaching change works they have the talent to be a 10-12 win team(I dont know their schedule) but they have as many "ifs" as any team in the league.

Vikings are the final team, if they can get anything from the right side of their line and the passing game, they have a pretty good defense in place. Still, they look the weakest team in quite possibly the weakest division in football but you never know what can happen. AD may change it all with his homerun ability.

JCutlery
05-06-2007, 10:59 AM
It's the Raiders. They have nowhere to go, but up.

Plus, I like what they're doing in Oakland. They have a good, young offense set in place, especially now that Randy is gone.

JCutlery
05-06-2007, 11:04 AM
Our offense can be good this year, depending on how the receivers not named Evans perform. Right side of the line needs to perform well despite what I see as a whole lot of not much. I like our RB. Big year for Losman as I see our offense as what we might actually need to be our strong point.
Defense, there are a lot of questions. Outside of Schobel, Crowell, and now Whitner, there's just some uneasiness. Our LE's may be fine, but DT is still a weak point until someone finally steps up (you mentioned the two guys we've seen the least of, so there's definitely a chance of impovement). LBs are inexperienced (Ellison has shown he deserves to start but has never technically had a full starting gig, and has to earn his keep and also perform above his size if he starts at SLB). As we've seen though, this might not be a problem. Simpson still has a lot of improvement ahead of him, and neither of our starting corners, even in our scheme, may be up to their tasks. But nobody knows really what to expect from Youboty, and McGee did look really good the later half of least season, hopefully he can handle some tougher matchups. And somebody get Kiwaukee some stickum.

I think your defense will definitely be your strong-point. Youboty should be able to come in and take a job. Crowell will play SLB, so Ellison will play the WILL. Ko and Donte will be a formidable safety tandem for years to come. The only thing I worry about, is whether McCargo will show any flashes this year. Otherwise, Kyle Williams will start, but that's not necessarily bad thing.

T-RICH49
05-06-2007, 11:27 AM
I expect the 49ers to be a playoff caliber team this year

doingthisinsteadofwork
05-06-2007, 11:34 AM
Raiders.(10)

SuperMcGee
05-06-2007, 11:41 AM
I think your defense will definitely be your strong-point. Youboty should be able to come in and take a job. Crowell will play SLB, so Ellison will play the WILL. Ko and Donte will be a formidable safety tandem for years to come. The only thing I worry about, is whether McCargo will show any flashes this year. Otherwise, Kyle Williams will start, but that's not necessarily bad thing.

With the coaching, it's definitely a possibility. I just mentioned that a lot of guys are in new roles, so I'll hope for the best but not everything might go ideally. We saw very little of Youboty and McCargo last year. McGee looked good late last year but people have their doubts about him as a #1 CB. Williams was alright last year but didn't do anything to put himself above the other mediocre guys last year. Guys like him and Ellison were kind of there and somewhat effective, but they need to make more plays this year and be a force, mostly in Ellison's case since he is actually a starter. Poz can surely step in right away, but I don't like to get overconfident in a rookie. McCargo surely has the best chance, but somebody needs to break out at DT. McCargo, Tripps, Williams, Walker, I doubt it's Tim Anderson as we've been shopping him and he could end up getting cut. Something to look out for might even be Anthony Hargrove getting some plays at DT if our guys still struggle there. Probably wouldn't be an answer to our problems but he's great for a small change at tackle or end. When I say Ko-J needs improvement, he's good to start now. He showed it last year and is getting better. He just has areas in his game that can easily be improved upon and that can provide for a very good safety tandem this year which will definitely help out our defense. I can see our LB and Safeties clicking, as well as our ends which have not changed. But the run stopping still is a huge question and will it be much improved? When I think about the defense it mostly comes back to hinging on McCargo and the corners, which I hate to say with what Fewell can do, but I'm uneasy about them. Maybe I should have more confidence. McGee is my namesake and looked good last year against guys like Reggie Wayne, so why not? Youboty has the talent and looks good for the cover-2, so why not? McCargo I didn't like too much as prospect and didn't think he looked as impressive as others do in his time last season. He'll certainly be my most critiqued player, and I'm just going to hope for the best with him.

awfullyquiet
05-06-2007, 02:44 PM
Lions have a lot of young guys but they look alright on paper in a cupcake division. Will be random also though, could just as easily be worse.

Vikings are the final team, if they can get anything from the right side of their line and the passing game, they have a pretty good defense in place. Still, they look the weakest team in quite possibly the weakest division in football but you never know what can happen. AD may change it all with his homerun ability.

okay. something doesn't make sense.

vikings might be on the ups. chicago is the de facto NFCN powerhouse. the lions might do well (as you say, and i agree seeing as they'll probably go 6-10, which i don't qualify as the biggest improvement). and the packers have seemed to make a last minute favre-surge during the final . someone's gonna be the big loser in this division. and it doesn't look like the bears or the pack.

the vikings have nil. nil as far as the passing game goes. to tell me jackson and rice will have a stellar year is far-fetched. not impossible. but rather far fetched. unless something preposterous happens, i imagine the purps in the basement with the bucs. just based on the fact that the other three teams will either improve or stay on the level that they were at?

TheChampIsHere
05-06-2007, 03:00 PM
Its hard to imagine the Raiders NOT getting a lot better.

fenikz
05-06-2007, 03:53 PM
the cardinals, they underachieved last year & lost a lot of close games, with Leinart under center they should keep improving offensively & that D-Line is dominate when healthy, with a young and improving secondary and lb core the defense is only going to get better