PDA

View Full Version : PMD's Way Too Early 2008 Mock Draft

Paranoidmoonduck
05-05-2007, 08:09 PM
I figured I join in on the fun and put up a preemptive and totally inaccurate mock draft. This is more a prediction of what I see player stocks doing as opposed to what they are currently at.

Comments are always appreciated, but please, don't take this too seriously.

1. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Andre Woodson, QB, Kentucky
If Tampa is picking here that means QB has to be a huge need, and I think Woodson is on the fast track to a top 5 selection.
2. Houston Texans – Sam Baker, OT, Southern California
Finally, a good offensive lineman falls into Kubiak’s lap.
3. Kansas City Chiefs – Darren McFadden, HB, Arkansas
Larry Johnson is likely going to be let into free agency, and the Chiefs pick up a very capable replacement.
4. Dallas Cowboys (from Cleveland) – Kenny Philips, S, Miami
Is probably the most perfect safety to cover Roy Williams’ behind.
5. Tennessee Titans – DeSean Jackson, WR, California
Titans pick up a much needed weapon for Vince Young who can also make an impact in the return game.
6. Detroit Lions – Tyson Jackson, DE, Louisiana State
Why Jackson over Campbell? He’s more of a speed rusher, and would be a force to reckon with in that defense.
7. Washington Redskins – Calais Campbell, DE, Miami
Redskins address huge issues on the defensive line with this monster.
8. Jacksonville Jaguars – Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville
The Jags decide that Leftwhich isn’t getting it done and go for the kid from Louisville.
9. Miami Dolphins – Chris Long, DE, Virginia
Miami picks up a very nice player who’ll fit like a glove on that defense.
10. Arizona Cardinals – Glenn Dorsey, DT, Louisiana State
Even if the Cardinals offensive line shapes up, the defensive line needs some help, and Dorsey is an impact inside rusher.
11. Green Bay Packers – Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas
Woodson and Harris aren’t exactly young and the lack of depth behind them is inexcusable.
12. New York Giants – Jake Long, OT, Michigan
Giants pick up a big bruising right tackle to lead their rushing attack.
13. Oakland Raiders – Zack Bowman, CB, Nebraska
With Asomugha probably due huge money come the 2008 offseason, would Al let him go in favor of the amazing Bowman?
14. Buffalo Bills – Barry Richardson, OT, Clemson
Bills did a lot less fortifying of their offensive line than the money they spent there would suggest.
15. Minnesota Vikings – Keith Rivers, OLB, Southern California
A linebacker seems kinda redundant, but Cover 2 linebackers like Rivers aren’t that common.
16. Atlanta Falcons – Jonathan Stewart, HB, Oregon
Atlanta picks up the power back to control the ball in Petrino’s offense.
17. Dallas Cowboys – Limas Sweed, WR, Texas
After fortifying their secondary, Dallas picks up the local receiver to put some more playmakers on the offense.
18. Denver Broncos – Xavier Adibi, OLB, Virgina Tech
Denver goes for yet another shockingly athletic linebacker.
19. Pittsburgh Steelers – Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida
Moving to from the 3-4 to the 4-3 means you need one thing: defensive ends.
20. St. Louis Rams – Justin King, CB, Penn State
Despite adding Tye Hill in 2006, the secondary can still use a lot of help.
21. Philadelphia Eagles – Jared Gaither, OT, Maryland
Philly adds an absolute giant of a right tackle, a classic Andy Reid move.
22. Seattle Seahawks – DeMario Pressley, DT, North Carolina State
The Seahawks pick up a great inside athlete in Pressley to help control the flow of running attacks.
23. New York Jets – Vernon Gholston, OLB/DE, Ohio State
The Jets need an impact rush linebacker in their defensive scheme, and Gholston fits the bill perfectlu.
24. Cincinnati Bengals – Lawrence Jackson, DE, Southern California
Defensive ends all around! Jackson is a tenacious rusher who’ll give Marv Lewis a lot of options.
25. New England Patriots (from San Francisco) – Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona
The Pats decide to add a cornerback with fantastic ball skills.
26. New Orleans Saints – Dan Conner, LB, Penn State
The Saints add that defensive leader they’ve been looking for.
27. New England Patriots – John Carlson, TE, Notre Dame
Because, hey, you can never have too many tight ends right? Right?
28. Chicago Bears – Colt Brennan, QB, Hawaii
Yeah yeah, I know, Rex Grossman. But if the Bears falter again in the playoffs, as this pick spot suggests, can they pass up adding a promising future starter?
29. San Diego Chargers – James Davis, HB, Clemson
Tenacious inside runner who’s versatile and would take pressure off of Tomlinson? With Turner likely gone I wouldn’t rule it out.
30. San Francisco 49ers (from Indianapolis) – Adarius Bowman, WR, Oklahoma State
Niners are estatic to pick up Bowman, who would fall due to injury, and then hold a candlelight vigil praying that he doesn’t end up like Rashaun Woods.
31. Carolina Panthers – Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson
A big and versatile player, Merling would add some youth to a defensive line that is starting to look like it could use a little.
32. Baltimore Ravens - Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College
Superbowl champs go for a solid pick and get the tackle from Boston College.

neko4
05-05-2007, 08:12 PM
Lets just remeber that GReen Bay still lacks a pass-catching TE and good RB. Things could change, but right now those two needs must be dealt w/

Paranoidmoonduck
05-05-2007, 08:13 PM
Lets just remeber that GReen Bay still lacks a pass-catching TE and good RB. Things could change, but right now those two needs must be dealt w/

I almost gave them Stewart, but I like Brandon Jackson and think that he'll surprise some people this year. And with no tight end being much of an option where I had them picking, I felt Talib was the best choice.

cardsalltheway
05-05-2007, 08:16 PM
I love Glenn Dorsey as a prospect but I don't think the Cardinals would take him there. They already have Dockett, Clancy, Watson and Branch at the DT spot, I don't see the need to use a first rounder. He's great value though.

princefielder28
05-05-2007, 09:19 PM
Never too early to be mocking it back up again.

doingthisinsteadofwork
05-05-2007, 09:35 PM
i just hope Al keeps Aso around.

T-RICH49
05-05-2007, 09:46 PM
If LJ leace I would LOVE to nab McFadden

PalmerToCJ
05-05-2007, 11:06 PM
I'm not sure about the chances of the Bengals taking a DE, seems iffy at this point.

Justin Smith I think is gone but the coaching staff/players are high on Frostee Rucker who has yet to play in a regular season game. There is also potential for Pollack to move back to DE instead of SLB which would make DE an actual position of strength.

IMO the leader at this point for us is a WLB or DT although I doubt Marvin will take a DT early.

Jensen
05-06-2007, 12:52 AM
The Cardinals now have NO need whatsoever for a DT. We already have Branch, Watson, Dockett, and Clancy. Why draft a 5th DT that could start?

Paranoidmoonduck
05-06-2007, 01:09 AM
The Cardinals now have NO need whatsoever for a DT. We already have Branch, Watson, Dockett, and Clancy. Why draft a 5th DT that could start?

Well, a few reasons. Watson and Branch are nosetackles, Dockett was far from stellar last year, and Clancy is pretty mediocre. Also, the Cardinals absolutely love the idea of getting good value, and I'd say that at this point, getting Dorsey at #10 is pretty good value.

Phrost
05-06-2007, 01:20 AM
It would surely make things interesting if the Bucs had the #1 pick.

G-Men88
05-06-2007, 07:29 AM
Giants don't need a right tackle. We don't really need a LT either but that would be the better selection

Eaglez.Fan
05-06-2007, 09:05 AM
Solid eagles pick, that line would be insanely huge.

LitoSheppard
05-06-2007, 09:10 AM
How is it solid Eagles pick? We don't need OT that much especially not in the first round. I would much much rather take a Wide Reciever as of now..
Btw Eagles picking to high..
And I'll defend the Cowboys..17 is way to high
They have a superbowl caliber Defense but their offense may be lacking..I'd go 23-28

Go_Eagles77
05-06-2007, 10:17 AM
I agree with Lito, We won't have to draft OL in the 1st for quite a while. If LJ Smith is gone, I would like Carlson there.

Crickett
05-06-2007, 10:17 AM

Ken Hamlin says hi.

Even if the Cardinals offensive line shapes up, the defensive line needs some help, and Dorsey is an impact inside rusher.

The Cardinals just got a steal in Alan Branch to go along with Darnell Dockett. Gabe Watson and Kendrick Clancy are in the mix as well.

The Giants could use help on the offensive line whether they realize it or not. But with Kareem Mckenzie in the roster, they don't much need a right tackle.

With Asomugha probably due huge money come the 2008 offseason, would Al let him go in favor of the amazing Bowman?

What about the Raiders 2005 second round draft pick Stanford Routt?

The Steelers drafted Lamaar Woodley this past draft.

The Seahawks pick up a great inside athlete in Pressley to help control the flow of running attacks.[/b]

Sounds an awful lot like something I heard a while back.

23. Seattle Seahawks - Marcus Tubbs, DT, Texas

Tenacious inside runner who’s versatile and would take pressure off of Tomlinson? With Turner likely gone I wouldn’t rule it out.

Drafting a backup running back in the first round? Michael Turner hasn't been that vital to the Chargers.

draftguru151
05-06-2007, 10:27 AM

Ken Hamlin says hi.

His one year contract says hi as well.

I like Long, especially in the 3-4, but unless Matt Roth sucks bad this year I don't see that pick happening. I think Long would be much more realistic.

JPF
05-06-2007, 10:28 AM
Another very reasonable Panthers pick.

Jensen
05-06-2007, 10:37 AM
Well, a few reasons. Watson and Branch are nosetackles, Dockett was far from stellar last year, and Clancy is pretty mediocre. Also, the Cardinals absolutely love the idea of getting good value, and I'd say that at this point, getting Dorsey at #10 is pretty good value.

Good value doesn't matter if you already have 4 DT's under contract that could all step in and start. Clancy is a back-up, and one of Branch or Watson. I'm going to guess that Branch and Dockett will be the starters, and Dockett is a very underrated DT. This will only be Dockett's third season I believe, and its hard to have a stellar season when you're on one of the worst defenses in the league. We have many more positions of need than DT; FS, CB, OLB, DE, OT, and probably even MLB.

aNYtitan
05-06-2007, 11:22 AM
Damn the Titans in the top 5 :( Its possibl but I'm not sure they will recess that badly just by losing Henry, Bennett and Pacman. But if it happens, damn good pick, a dynamic playmaker in every sense of the world

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
05-06-2007, 11:23 AM
25. New England Patriots (from San Francisco) – Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona
The Pats decide to add a cornerback with fantastic ball skills.

27. New England Patriots – John Carlson, TE, Notre Dame
Because, hey, you can never have too many tight ends right? Right?

28. Chicago Bears – Colt Brennan, QB, Hawaii
Yeah yeah, I know, Rex Grossman. But if the Bears falter again in the playoffs, as this pick spot suggests, can they pass up adding a promising future starter?

I love the Pats first pick, but I am not so big on taking John Carlson. The Pats still have Ben Watson and David Thomas, who are very good tight ends, and I believe that Garrett Mills is still on the roster, although I am not sure that he is either a FB or TE. I think that LB may be a bigger need than Carlson.

I like the Colt Brennan pick for the Bears, In my opinion Brennan will have the shot to be a very good quarterback in the NFL. If they give him some time to learn he may turn out to be a good steal for the Chicago Bears.

NIN1984
05-06-2007, 11:25 AM
I would be so mad if we draft another DB in the first round, plus Al Davis will not let Asomugha get away just look how long he held on to Woodson.

Al loves he's DBs

Raiders will go O-line or D-line in 08

Vikes99ej
05-06-2007, 12:34 PM
I like the Vikings pick. This is probably the most realistic 2008 Draft I have seen yet.

AS11toFG21
05-06-2007, 01:09 PM
How does Bowman compare to Woods?

VY10
05-06-2007, 01:12 PM
You know, I could actually see the Texans passing up on a great running back like McFadden again...

thebow305
05-06-2007, 01:19 PM
Jackson is more of a speed rusher than Calais Campbell? So you are implying that he is faster and more explosive off the edge than Calais? Uhhh.. no. I'm gonna pretend you were joking about that. Calais is a freak, he's much more explosive than Tyson Jackson.

OhioState
05-06-2007, 01:29 PM
Malcolm King CB PSU
Justin King is the good CB for Penn State and Malcolm Jenkins is the good CB for Ohio State

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
05-06-2007, 01:33 PM
Malcolm King CB PSU
Justin King is the good CB for Penn State and Malcolm Jenkins is the good CB for Ohio State

Well that combo would be on hell of a CB then!

KCJ58
05-06-2007, 03:42 PM
Andre Woodson thats a joke right?

Paranoidmoonduck
05-06-2007, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone, this is going to be a very long post.

Malcolm King CB PSU

Woops, thanks for the heads up.

Ken Hamlin says hi.

You know, you're right, I can just make out his waving from the trainers table. Also, that whole one year contract deal.

The Cardinals just got a steal in Alan Branch to go along with Darnell Dockett. Gabe Watson and Kendrick Clancy are in the mix as well.

Already explained that one.

The Giants could use help on the offensive line whether they realize it or not. But with Kareem Mckenzie in the roster, they don't much need a right tackle.

Then they draft Long as a LT if they want, I'm stating what position I think the mauler is.

What about the Raiders 2005 second round draft pick Stanford Routt?

What about him? He hasn't gone anything since coming into the league except run fast.

The Steelers drafted Lamaar Woodley this past draft.

"Hey guys, it's all cool, we have Lamaar Woodley, he definitely solves all our problems"

He's a rotational defensive end at best, they need more.

The Seahawks pick up a great inside athlete in Pressley to help control the flow of running attacks.[/b]

Sounds an awful lot like something I heard a while back.

23. Seattle Seahawks - Marcus Tubbs, DT, Texas

I suppose that would indicate that they could use an inside presence then, wouldn't it?

Drafting a backup running back in the first round? Michael Turner hasn't been that vital to the Chargers.

A backup becomes more and more vital the older Tomlinson gets, and it isn't as if the Chargers have that many positions of need to draft for.

Jackson is more of a speed rusher than Calais Campbell? So you are implying that he is faster and more explosive off the edge than Calais? Uhhh.. no. I'm gonna pretend you were joking about that. Calais is a freak, he's much more explosive than Tyson Jackson.

No, I'm implying that Campbell wouldn't be as great a fit in a system that requires a lot of outside running and not so much gap control.

Good value doesn't matter if you already have 4 DT's under contract that could all step in and start. Clancy is a back-up, and one of Branch or Watson. I'm going to guess that Branch and Dockett will be the starters, and Dockett is a very underrated DT. This will only be Dockett's third season I believe, and its hard to have a stellar season when you're on one of the worst defenses in the league. We have many more positions of need than DT; FS, CB, OLB, DE, OT, and probably even MLB.

A good part of the pick was my unwillingness to see Dorsey fall any further (if I was really feeling cruel, I could have given him to Green Bay). You cannot deny that the Cardinals have a tendency to look at Mel Kiper's big board and take whoever is the best value left. At that point I think Dorsey would represent the best value.

sdpads24
05-06-2007, 06:52 PM

I take it that you don't watch the chargers too much if you think Turner isn't a huge part of our offense. Granted, 1st round is a bit early to be drafting backups, but keeping LT as healthy as possible as he gets older is vital to our team. I would rather draft a S in this position because our S our gonna suck this year and we will probably need to fill in the other starting safety spot alongside eric weddle.

Crickett
05-06-2007, 07:21 PM
You know, you're right, I can just make out his waving from the trainers table. Also, that whole one year contract deal.

In four years, Hamlin's missed 10 games. He may have some health concerns, but Freddie Taylor he's not.

Then they draft Long as a LT if they want, I'm stating what position I think the mauler is.

And I'm responding with "If Long projects as a RT in the NFL, he doesn't make much sense to be drafted by the Giants".

What about him? He hasn't gone anything since coming into the league except run fast.

He's been in the league for 2 years. Two years where he's been stuck behind Scrabble and Washington.

"Hey guys, it's all cool, we have Lamaar Woodley, he definitely solves all our problems"

Well, generally when teams address a position early in the draft, they're less inclined to draft the same position early in the draft next year.

"I suppose that would indicate that they could use an inside presence then, wouldn't it?

Actually, it seems to me like they already got someone to do that.

A backup becomes more and more vital the older Tomlinson gets, and it isn't as if the Chargers have that many positions of need to draft for.

Tomlinson is going to be 29 this year (meaning he still has several years remaining) and frankly, a lot of the great runs I saw Michael Turner have were "icing on the cake nail in the coffin" situations (such as against Tennessee). IMO, Turner is a very good running back, but like Jesse Chatham before him, by no means vital to the San Diego offense.

Nightmares Win 6-0
05-06-2007, 08:25 PM
houston would take mcfadden over baker...

23trufant
05-06-2007, 09:05 PM
James Davis is amazing good call on him.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-06-2007, 09:47 PM
In four years, Hamlin's missed 10 games. He may have some health concerns, but Freddie Taylor he's not.

I count 13 games, but I got your point. I really doubt Hamlin is the guy who's going to shore up that secondary though, he's not quite enough of a cover guy to give the protection Roy Williams need in the long term.

And I'm responding with "If Long projects as a RT in the NFL, he doesn't make much sense to be drafted by the Giants".

I don't think that teams are going to put Long at RT unless someone gets really hung up on his short arms. Some offensive line coach is going to think he can turn this kid into a monster left tackle. I suppose I should have just called Long a OT.

He's been in the league for 2 years. Two years where he's been stuck behind Scrabble and Washington.

And I've watched practically every game he's played. He's gotten plenty of time at nickel corner, more than enough to know that he's been average at best. I'm not convinced that Routt is a total loss, like some Raider fans, but I would in no way consider him as a lock to be a solid #2 should Asomugha leave.

Well, generally when teams address a position early in the draft, they're less inclined to draft the same position early in the draft next year.

The Steelers situation isn't typical. The move they are making will likely be most drastic next offseason, and their lack of quality 4-3 defensive ends is going to be troubling. Harvey is a fantastic fit for Tomlin's defense.

Actually, it seems to me like they already got someone to do that.

The guy who played a whopping 5 games last year.

Tomlinson is going to be 29 this year (meaning he still has several years remaining) and frankly, a lot of the great runs I saw Michael Turner have were "icing on the cake nail in the coffin" situations (such as against Tennessee). IMO, Turner is a very good running back, but like Jesse Chatham before him, by no means vital to the San Diego offense.

Like I said before, a solid backup is going to become more and more important the older Tomlinson gets older and it's likely Turner is on his way out after this season.

go_ravens94
05-07-2007, 08:55 AM
Super Bowl champs! Thanks. Anyway, good, solid pick.

gang_green03
05-07-2007, 02:40 PM
Great pick and explaination for the Jets.

YAYareaRB
05-08-2007, 12:17 AM
Can't see us taking ANY players from Oklahoma state let alone a WR

fenikz
05-08-2007, 03:32 AM
there is no way we take a DT in the 1st, we have 4 guys who can star and 2 quality back ups, we dont need more DTs

give us a CB, S, RB, OLB, MLB, OT, OG, DE before another DT

Caddy
05-08-2007, 07:34 AM
Tampa may not be great next year. But they will not have the worst record in the league.

If they did, do you really think Woodson is and ideal fit for their offense? Or do you think a new coaching regime will be brought in thus resulting in a changed offense.

draftguru151
05-08-2007, 08:16 AM
Tampa may not be great next year. But they will not have the worst record in the league.

If they did, do you really think Woodson is and ideal fit for their offense? Or do you think a new coaching regime will be brought in thus resulting in a changed offense.

If you guys are picking #1 Gruden will be gone.

Jensen
05-08-2007, 08:38 AM
A good part of the pick was my unwillingness to see Dorsey fall any further (if I was really feeling cruel, I could have given him to Green Bay). You cannot deny that the Cardinals have a tendency to look at Mel Kiper's big board and take whoever is the best value left. At that point I think Dorsey would represent the best value.

We take top rated players on the board later in the draft, but not in the first round. This year, Levi Brown. Position of need, not the top rated player left. Last year, Matt Leinart. Position of need, and he's now our franchise QB. 2 years ago, Antrel Rolle. Position of need. 3 years ago, Larry Fitzgerald. WR was not a dying need, but now we have one of the top WR duos in the league. 4 years ago, Bryant Johnson. Position of need.

HoopsDemon12
05-14-2007, 12:47 PM
good mock... love the saints pick... not to high on the bills pick.... and after all the DT's arizona has drafted lately i doubt they will take another one.. of course those guys have to prove they have teh drive to succeed in the nfl.