PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Bears Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15

bearsfan_51
02-02-2007, 08:33 PM
Franchise tag Briggs, no question, absolutely no question. Do we put in an offer for Scott or let him walk?
Depends on what we do with Tank IMO.As head coach, I say we keep him. Very talented player, at a position we are relatively thin at. I say we send in an offer for Scott and let Boone walk.
There are a few things with that though.
#1) Tank's contract is up next year. Do we give a longterm extension to an unreliable guy with a criminal record that has shown little to no remorse for his actions? I very highly doubt it.

#2)Dvorack was a 3rd round pick and is MUCH better suited to play the NT spot. I believe he was drafted primarily as a replacement for Ian, who doesn't fit the scheme, and in case Tank continued to be a headcase (thank god we did too).

I would actually prefer to keep Boone as he can play the UT, something that really only Idonije can do in our scheme (Alex Brown just doesn't work there).

Hurricane Ditka
02-02-2007, 08:54 PM
Franchise tag Briggs, no question, absolutely no question. Do we put in an offer for Scott or let him walk?
Depends on what we do with Tank IMO.As head coach, I say we keep him. Very talented player, at a position we are relatively thin at. I say we send in an offer for Scott and let Boone walk.
There are a few things with that though.
#1) Tank's contract is up next year. Do we give a longterm extension to an unreliable guy with a criminal record that has shown little to no remorse for his actions? I very highly doubt it.

#2)Dvorack was a 3rd round pick and is MUCH better suited to play the NT spot. I believe he was drafted primarily as a replacement for Ian, who doesn't fit the scheme, and in case Tank continued to be a headcase (thank god we did too).

I would actually prefer to keep Boone as he can play the UT, something that really only Idonije can do in our scheme (Alex Brown just doesn't work there).

1. I don't give him a long term deal, I let him play through next year and see if he can get and keep his act together. He's been a valuable asset as far as his play on the field is concerned, and it prevents defensive tackle from being a need.

2. I like Dusty as much as the next guy, and sure he's got mountains of talent, but I don't think we can go into the season with him penciled in as the starter, with no game or pre-season experience. I agree that Tank is out of position at the nose, especially after his house arrest weight loss. He's an asset as he and Tommie both excel at rushing the passer. Once Tommie went down our pass rush suffered, and we can't afford to lose our second best pass rushing tackle.

Tommie will be back next year, and he is everything we need at UT. Boone is versatile, but if I had to chose, I'd resign Scott over Boone. Scott can compete for the starting nose tackle job with Dusty. On the subject of Alex Brown, I think Anderson is going to play himself into Brown's spot, but he needs to improve on stopping the run first. Our ends are very inconsistent, and I honestly wouldn't be opposed to a guy in the third or fourth if somebody fell. The inconsistency of our ends is why our defense struggled so much after Tommie went down. Neither Ogunleye or Brown has lived up to their large contracts.

sweetness34
02-02-2007, 08:54 PM
We are gonna win.
Lovie Smith is blacker than Tony Dungy

Dude you can't flip flop your predictions now. You picked us to lose the first two games, so don't stop now. :?

Hurricane Ditka
02-02-2007, 09:20 PM
My Preliminary Analysis on the Offensive Line

Positional Breakdown

Guard: We're fairly set here, although with Ruben's possible retirement there are issues that we'll have to deal with. My initial solution to the Ruben problem is to sign him to a 1 year deal, and ease his replacement into the lineup. I like Terry Metcalf, but I think we can do better, he isn't athletic enough to take on the same role that Ruben had, we would have to alter our schemes and use less pulling. Keeping Terry in a reverse role, with a possible competition with Garza at right guard. Which pulls a lot less, most our traps and powers run to the strong side so the left guard is pulling. I wouldn't advocate spending a first round pick on a guard though, as this is more an area where we need more depth, and more competition.

Tackle: Time is of the essence concerning our tackles. Miller has shown his age with the Bears, and it's questionable how much longer he'll be able to hold up. Tait has been serviceable at left tackle, but is much better suited to play right tackle. This is why building an offensive line through free agency has it's flaws; it will require another retooling in a short amount of time. A young left tackle prospect is what this position needs, to be groomed and eased into the position as a backup, and eventually take over in 1 to 2 seasons. Depending on the talent pool available, I'd like to say that a left tackle is one of our first 3 picks.

Center: We are as set as we can be here. We have the best center in league, and he'll be in Chicago until he wants to leave. We don't have much depth as far the area is concerned, especially if Metcalf and Garza are our starting guards. If we chose to address the depth at center it'd be ideal to acquire a player that can can play both positions. I think the transition from center to guard and vice versa is easier than guard to tackle.

Windy
02-02-2007, 10:05 PM
remember this is a forum mock and people will overpay. there really isnt much elite talent on the FA market for Defensive Tackles and I could see a guy like Ian Scott getting a few big offers from other teams.

bearfan
02-02-2007, 10:34 PM
We are gonna win.
Lovie Smith is blacker than Tony Dungy

Dude you can't flip flop your predictions now. You picked us to lose the first two games, so don't stop now. :?

you know my attitude, expect the worst. That way if we do, I am not that dissapointed :D

SFbear
02-03-2007, 01:04 AM
Our draft position is going to be interesting because were in close proximity to Indianapolis, Detroit and Tampa Bay (early next round and Colts 2nd round). All these teams will be looking for elite Tampa 2 prospects and I could definitely see teams trading up to try and out do the other.

I would hate to see Tampa Bay snatch up Rufus Alexander one pick ahead of us if we were targetting him. Also I like the idea of trading down for more picks like last year but I can't think of anyone who would trade up if the right prospect falls. Maybe Atlanta might for Michael Griffin since Detroit is probably looking for a safety, but we would probably just draft him if he fell.

VoteLynnSwan
02-03-2007, 05:34 AM
My Preliminary Analysis on the Offensive Line

Positional Breakdown

Guard: We're fairly set here, although with Ruben's possible retirement there are issues that we'll have to deal with. My initial solution to the Ruben problem is to sign him to a 1 year deal, and ease his replacement into the lineup. I like Terry Metcalf, but I think we can do better, he isn't athletic enough to take on the same role that Ruben had, we would have to alter our schemes and use less pulling. Keeping Terry in a reverse role, with a possible competition with Garza at right guard. Which pulls a lot less, most our traps and powers run to the strong side so the left guard is pulling. I wouldn't advocate spending a first round pick on a guard though, as this is more an area where we need more depth, and more competition.

Tackle: Time is of the essence concerning our tackles. Miller has shown his age with the Bears, and it's questionable how much longer he'll be able to hold up. Tait has been serviceable at left tackle, but is much better suited to play right tackle. This is why building an offensive line through free agency has it's flaws; it will require another retooling in a short amount of time. A young left tackle prospect is what this position needs, to be groomed and eased into the position as a backup, and eventually take over in 1 to 2 seasons. Depending on the talent pool available, I'd like to say that a left tackle is one of our first 3 picks.

Center: We are as set as we can be here. We have the best center in league, and he'll be in Chicago until he wants to leave. We don't have much depth as far the area is concerned, especially if Metcalf and Garza are our starting guards. If we chose to address the depth at center it'd be ideal to acquire a player that can can play both positions. I think the transition from center to guard and vice versa is easier than guard to tackle.

if anything happened with Olin, Garza would likely fill the roll as Center as he's played the position before... that being said, a guy like Kyle Young in the 3rd round would be a great pickup.

Smokey Joe
02-03-2007, 08:30 AM
Our draft position is going to be interesting because were in close proximity to Indianapolis, Detroit and Tampa Bay (early next round and Colts 2nd round). All these teams will be looking for elite Tampa 2 prospects and I could definitely see teams trading up to try and out do the other.

I would hate to see Tampa Bay snatch up Rufus Alexander one pick ahead of us if we were targetting him. Also I like the idea of trading down for more picks like last year but I can't think of anyone who would trade up if the right prospect falls. Maybe Atlanta might for Michael Griffin since Detroit is probably looking for a safety, but we would probably just draft him if he fell.
Rufus isn't exactly first round talent, IMO. Jon Beason might be though. Plus, Atlanta will probably draft Griffin in the first.

If we did a sign and trade thing with Briggs, I could see us actually doing it with the colts.

Hurricane Ditka
02-03-2007, 09:32 AM

Rufus isn't exactly first round talent, IMO. Jon Beason might be though. Plus, Atlanta will probably draft Griffin in the first.

If we did a sign and trade thing with Briggs, I could see us actually doing it with the colts.Atlanta won't draft Griffin in the first, they pick 9th, where both Landry and Nelson will be available. Neither Rufus or Beason are really worth a first round pick.

bigbluedefense
02-03-2007, 01:01 PM
GO BEARS!!!

I just put 600 junior bacon cheeseburgers on the Bears to cover. Make me proud Cover 2!!!!

bearsfan_51
02-03-2007, 02:44 PM
Just for the record, Brown doesn't have a large contract. The one he signed him 2004 was actually very reasonable.

Smokey Joe
02-03-2007, 04:09 PM

If we did a sign and trade thing with Briggs, I could see us actually doing it with the colts.Atlanta won't draft Griffin in the first, they pick 9th, where both Landry and Nelson will be available. Neither Rufus or Beason are really worth a first round pick.
My bad, I thought they picked around 17 for some reason. Actually, they might need a SS til later, like Aaroun Rouse in the 3rd.

Beason might be worth first round pick. IMO, Rufus is more of a early-3rd round pick.

IBleedNavyandOrange
02-03-2007, 04:09 PM
I'm a bit pessimistic when it comes to the fuure of the current O-line.

I think this year (and last, for the most part) was a very lucky year for injuries.

Garza is missing an ACL. I think the guy is great, and he is a true warrior, but in my mind that knee is a ticking time bomb.

Miller is not mobile enough to protect Rex from speed rushers. There's a reason why the Bears' strength is running up the gut and not off-tackle.

I think O-line is a huge need. Steinbach might not be a glaring improvement this coming year (if Brown stays another year), but he might be a smart signing now instead of finding someone else later. I think OT is a bigger need, because Miller is really the weak link on the line at this moment.

As far as the D-Line goes... I dunno what to think about Tank vs. Ian/Boone. I need to see Dusty and Garay play a bit more before I get a good grip on the situation.

SFbear
02-03-2007, 04:10 PM

If we did a sign and trade thing with Briggs, I could see us actually doing it with the colts.

I was actually thinking Rufus in the second where if we win the Superbowl Tampa will be picking one slot ahead of us with Indy's second. I should have been more clear.

sweetness34
02-03-2007, 10:54 PM
BEAR DOWN, CHICAGO BEARS!!!

It's one hour before actual game day fellas, whooot whooot!!!!

Smokey Joe
02-03-2007, 11:29 PM

You made that post at 10:54 PM Central Time. If you add one hour to that, you get 11:54 PM Central Time, which would still be Saturday. Learn math you fool!

sweetness34
02-04-2007, 07:28 AM

You made that post at 10:54 PM Central Time. If you add one hour to that, you get 11:54 PM Central Time, which would still be Saturday. Learn math you fool!

At my house it was 11:00pm Smokey, so shut the **** up. :lol:

GAME DAY BOYS, LET'S GIT R DUN!

locseti
02-04-2007, 08:04 AM
Lucky Burr fans. Im goin with da burrs, Rex is going to have a ring before Peyton, how messed up is that?

sweetness34
02-04-2007, 08:35 AM
Lucky Burr fans. Im goin with da burrs, Rex is going to have a ring before Peyton, how messed up is that?

Manning doesn't deserve ****. I'm tired of everyone saying he DESERVES a ring. Well ok then, Kruetz, Urlacher, Moose, etc all deserve rings too then because of the careers they've had so far. Manning needs to earn the ring, he doesn't deserve anything.

We beat them in 2 out of the 3 phases of the game. If we can limit them to field goals on the offensive possessions, we win. I could care less if they move the ball on us, there is no way we can stop that, they're just too good. But keeping them out of the endzone will help emmensely. Here are my keys.

1) Pass rush on Peyton

2) At least 2 turnovers

3) No big plays

4) Run the ball, stop the run

5) Rex plays mistake free football

6) Our ST's make something happen

If we do those things, we win IMO. I think 51 has mentioned this many times before, but we're the underdogs in this game, 7 point underdogs, so we're supposed to lose. But I just hope we come out fired up and pissed off, much like the Saints game. My pregame speech to the beloved will come later on in the day, possibly an hour before game time.

bearfan
02-04-2007, 08:39 AM
I have a feeling about Hester today

Bearsfan123
02-04-2007, 10:09 AM

what type of feeling? good or bad?

bearfan
02-04-2007, 10:16 AM

what type of feeling? good or bad?

Good. I am so excited to see him with the ball today, I just have a feeling he is gonna do something

nyjetsguy27
02-04-2007, 10:48 AM
good luck bears... everyone in the nation is pulling for you guys to beat redneck peyton

sweetness34
02-04-2007, 11:58 AM
good luck bears... everyone in the nation is pulling for you guys to beat redneck peyton

Not really. Considering on ESPN the poll showed them at about 67% and us at 33%. The nation is not pulling for us. We're the underdogs in this game without question.

Ravens1991
02-04-2007, 12:03 PM
Lets go Bear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sweetness34
02-04-2007, 12:06 PM

Da, da, dadada. Let's Go Bears!!!!!!!!!!! Da, da, dadada. :lol:

Btw, sweetness is planning his pregame speech right now. Tune in at 4:00pm to see what I have to say to our boys before they take the field in Super Bowl 41! :D (and yes I referred to myself in the 3rd person, I'm raw like that). :lol:

Hurricane Ditka
02-04-2007, 12:45 PM
SUPER BOWL SUNDAY!!!!!!!!

sweetness34
02-04-2007, 12:52 PM
SUPER BOWL SUNDAY!!!!!!!!

Um duh, where have you been? :roll: :lol:

GO BEARS!

locseti
02-04-2007, 01:12 PM

Not saying he deserves it at all. But it seems so weird to me that Rex Grossman will have a ring before Peyton Manning.

But to also add to your list of things that the Bears must do - I think that they have to get a few big plays themselves (which they always seem to do, every game.)

Do you think the Colts will try to be bold and kick to Hester?

sweetness34
02-04-2007, 01:20 PM

Not saying he deserves it at all. But it seems so weird to me that Rex Grossman will have a ring before Peyton Manning.

But to also add to your list of things that the Bears must do - I think that they have to get a few big plays themselves (which they always seem to do, every game.)

Do you think the Colts will try to be bold and kick to Hester?

Oh sorry man, I never said you said he deserved it. I went off on a tangent about how the media is saying he deserves it. Which he doesn't. He has to earn it, just like Rex and the rest of the Bears.

Oh we'll make some big plays. They have a chip on their shoulder from the media gushing over the Colts, or well at least ESPN anyway. I think we'll come out just like we did against the Saints. Fired up and ready to knock some heads off. We're the underdogs in this game. We don't have as much pressure as the Colts. And I like being the underdog.

Eh, maybe. Our offense can drive on them so kicking it out of bounds and giving it to us at the 40 won't help. I say they'll pooch it on the kickoff really short, giving Devin less space to find holes. Idk, I just have a hunch he's gonna have a big night. Primetime football, in Miami, etc...It could be an exciting night for our ST's, or well at least I hope so. I worry though that he'll muff one. He tends to do that sometimes.

NickBam
02-04-2007, 01:42 PM
Happy Super Bowl Sunday

Smokey Joe
02-04-2007, 02:04 PM

Da, da, dadada. Let's Go Bears!!!!!!!!!!! Da, da, dadada. :lol:

Btw, sweetness is planning his pregame speech right now. Tune in at 4:00pm to see what I have to say to our boys before they take the field in Super Bowl 41! :D (and yes I referred to myself in the 3rd person, I'm raw like that). :lol:
:lol: I hate you.

RexGrossmans-cheesecake
02-04-2007, 02:05 PM
I was watching an interview with Moose the other day, and the reporter asked him if they had something up their sleeve, and he said doesn't everyone??? So I'm hoping for a reverse to Hester or something.

indyfan1985
02-04-2007, 02:22 PM

Shut the hell up man. Its hard to believe that everyone is against the Colts. Plenty of people want to see Dungy and the Colts to win because of the many hardships they have encountered these past years. If any team is destined to win, it's the Colts.

indyfan1985
02-04-2007, 02:24 PM
Not to mention that the Colts defeated their tormentor in New England when they were down 21-3 which by the way the Bears could never do. They dont have a QB to make a great comeback win like the Colts have.

Philliez01
02-04-2007, 02:53 PM
I don't care about destiny, it's whoever plays the best.

Good luck guys, whatever the outcome, it should be a good game.

VoteLynnSwan
02-04-2007, 03:05 PM

Shut the hell up man. Its hard to believe that everyone is against the Colts. Plenty of people want to see Dungy and the Colts to win because of the many hardships they have encountered these past years. If any team is destined to win, it's the Colts.

how are the colts destined to win? Because Peyton finally won a big game? If anyteam was "destined" to win, it would've been the Saints... and we saw what the bears did to them...

Plus i don't believe in fate or destiny... so yea...

and actually the nation thinks the colts are gonna win, so you're wrong on both counts.

sweetness34
02-04-2007, 03:27 PM

Dude just stop. Niether team is "destined" to win. Good god. Enough is enough. Ugh. :roll:

I could care less about comeback wins to be honest. And actually Rex did bring us back against Seattle.

We defeated our demon of getting knocked out in the 2nd Round after the bye. And about everyone being against the Colts. Um yea...Not really. Check out ESPN my friend, the poll is lopsided. Both teams deserve to be here and both teams hopefully will play well to deserve to win.

We've been doubted all year long, so to even be here is an honor. But oh how sweet it would be to knock off the Colts and the MIGHT AFC Conference. Which I think we've got a great shot to do.

Smokey Joe
02-04-2007, 03:45 PM

I am also destined to have a three-some with Jessica Alba and Jessica Simpson...

sweetness34
02-04-2007, 03:48 PM
Dear Bears,

You've sent us on a memorable ride this season. Desert comebacks, 8 blowouts, winning the division, overtime playoff victories, and an NFC Championship. And we as die hard Bear fans can't thank you enough for that. It's been an awesome year and we got to where we wanted to be at the start of the season, and that was in Miami at Superbowl 41.

So here we are. February 4th in Miami, two hours away from the biggest sporting event in the world. The spotlight is on you guys. You've been doubted all year long by the media; and you're being doubted again this time.

It's been 21 long years since our last glory run. And oh how sweet it was. But it would be sweeter to write a new chapter for 2007 and bring the Lombardi Trophy home to the Windy City. You've gotten this far, and we're proud of you for that, but winning is the only goal. No one remembers the loser. So when the historians look back on Superbowl 41, let them see that it was the Bears, and not the Colts who had glory on that fateful Sunday Night.

So give it all you have for 60 minutes. Play each play like it's your last. And don't let the guy next to you down. Let him know at the end of the day that you gave it everything you had. That there wasn't one more play you could've made. Because this may be the only shot you have at a SB. So make it count and let's celebrate tonight!!

Love,

51, sweetness, HD, BUST, toonsterwu, SFbear, IBNO, 123, 54, Smokey, BigHead, NYmoney, VLS, NickBam, and the rest of the Bear faithful.

BEAR DOWN...CHICAGO BEARS!!

Smokey Joe
02-04-2007, 03:53 PM
Dear Bears,

You've sent us on a memorable ride this season. Desert comebacks, 8 blowouts, winning the division, overtime playoff victories, and an NFC Championship. And we as die hard Bear fans can't thank you enough for that. It's been an awesome year and we got to where we wanted to be at the start of the season, and that was in Miami at Superbowl 41.

So here we are. February 4th in Miami, two hours away from the biggest sporting event in the world. The spotlight is on you guys. You've been doubted all year long by the media; and you're being doubted again this time.

It's been 21 long years since our last glory run. And oh how sweet it was. But it would be sweeter to write a new chapter for 2007 and bring the Lombardi Trophy home to the Windy City. You've gotten this far, and we're proud of you for that, but winning is the only goal. No one remembers the loser. So when the historians look back on Superbowl 41, let them see that it was the Bears, and not the Colts who had glory on that fateful Sunday Night.

So give it all you have for 60 minutes. Play each play like it's your last. And don't let the guy next to you down. Let him know at the end of the day that you gave it everything you had. That there wasn't one more play you could've made. Because this may be the only shot you have at a SB. So make it count and let's celebrate tonight!!

Love,

51, sweetness, HD, BUST, toonsterwu, SFbear, IBNO, 123, 54, Smokey, BigHead, NYmoney, VLS, NickBam, and the rest of the Bear faithful.

BEAR DOWN...CHICAGO BEARS!!
*claps, tear rolling down left eye*

bearfan
02-04-2007, 03:56 PM
ENCORE

bearsfan_51
02-04-2007, 03:57 PM
Not to mention that the Colts defeated their tormentor in New England when they were down 21-3 which by the way the Bears could never do. They dont have a QB to make a great comeback win like the Colts have.
Yeah the Bears could never come back down by 3 touchdowns....

Oh wait......

SimonRath
02-04-2007, 05:32 PM
WHAT A RETURN BY DEVIN HESTER!!!!!!

detknowitall
02-04-2007, 06:53 PM
Thats the Grossman that I know.

detknowitall
02-04-2007, 08:33 PM
you guys interested in the #2 pick to get a new QB??

comahan
02-04-2007, 09:03 PM
Congrats on a good season bears fans. I was rooting for you.

Number 10
02-04-2007, 09:03 PM

You know its bad when the highlight of your season is watching another team's QB struggle....in the Super Bowl nonetheless. Get a life.

bearsfan_51
02-04-2007, 09:05 PM
Maybe if you squint real hard some of the Colts players will look like Lions, cause that's as close they'll ever get to playing in an important game.

Number 10
02-04-2007, 09:06 PM
No reason to be bitter about the game, the Colts were just a better team. There are 30 teams that could only wish they could have played tonight. Great season, great great great season that I never thought would happen (my preseason prediction was 8- 8 ). You were hot for the entire season pretty much, something that rarely ever happens.

I look forward to our rematch in Chicago next season more than any other game on our schedule outside on the division.

(Don't let the thugs from other teams bring you down to their level)

sweetness34
02-04-2007, 09:06 PM

You know its bad when the highlight of your season is watching another team's QB struggle....in the Super Bowl nonetheless. Get a life.

Thank you.

Rex didn't play that bad. A couple of bad bounces with a wet all and terrible weather conditions had a lot to do with the 2 picks. That and he was hounded all day with a pass rush.

BuckNaked
02-04-2007, 09:08 PM
Congrats guys, you had a good season. This is hard for me to say.

detknowitall
02-04-2007, 09:08 PM

Thank you.

Rex didn't play that bad. A couple of bad bounces with a wet all and terrible weather conditions had a lot to do with the 2 picks. That and he was hounded all day with a pass rush.

did you watch the same game as the rest of the country???

Philliez01
02-04-2007, 09:10 PM
Your team has nothing to be ashamed of nor do the fans. You guys outperformed and were by far the best team in the NFC. You guys dominated with your defense for such a long stretch and the offense was clicking early on. You guys had a great season and I'd like to thank you guys for upholding the classy respect that the Bears organization/staff brings.

Good Luck in the future.

Don't listen to the Grossman haters, their team didn't make it to the SB :wink:

sweetness34
02-04-2007, 09:13 PM

Thank you.

Shut the **** up dude, seriously. Rex had no help in this game. His OL was piss poor, he had some dropped balls, and he was forced to make big plays in bad weather.

But hey, I guess if all you can do is bash a SB teams QB while you sit at home as a fan of a 2-14 team, then that's your business. But I wouldn't even think of coming into another teams thread and talk **** to them, especially when they just got to the SB.

I'm just sick and tired of the immaturity, the classlessness, and the **** that people are talking on this board when their teams are still sitting at home and bashing the Bears.

Smokey Joe
02-04-2007, 09:15 PM
Rex's numbers don't look to bad, but his decision making and preformance was terrible. He had what, one pass more then 15 yards? And when he did go deep, he threw it to the other team.

I think it is fair to say he did choke tonight as he did not lead the offense and his inability to lead the offense led to the defense never getting off the field. Rex should take the majority of blame for this game.

Smokey Joe
02-04-2007, 09:16 PM

Thank you.

Shut the *********** up dude, seriously. Rex had no help in this game. His OL was piss poor, he had some dropped balls, and he was forced to make big plays in bad weather.

But hey, I guess if all you can do is bash a SB teams QB while you sit at home as a fan of a 2-14 team, then that's your business. But I wouldn't even think of coming into another teams thread and talk *********** to them, especially when they just got to the SB.

I'm just sick and tired of the immaturity, the classlessness, and the *********** that people are talking on this board when their teams are still sitting at home and bashing the Bears.
The OL wasn't that bad but could have been better. But don't use that weather crap, it was the same for Manning and he did fine.

bearsfan_51
02-04-2007, 09:18 PM
Sweetness....seriously...calm down. If the board is making you that angry just go do something else. You're gonna get suspended.

BuckNaked
02-04-2007, 09:19 PM
Congratulations on making it as far as you did and being the best team in the NFC. But Sweetness, do you really believe Rex Grossman didn't have a bad game?

bearsfan_51
Rex's numbers don't look to bad, but his decision making and preformance was terrible. He had what, one pass more then 15 yards? And when he did go deep, he threw it to the other team.

I think it is fair to say he did choke tonight as he did not lead the offense and his inability to lead the offense led to the defense never getting off the field. Rex should take the majority of blame for this game.
I can't see this enough...you cannot choke if nobody expects anything of you. It's an oxymoron. If anything Lovie and Co choked. Our coaching staff got completely outplayed tonight. I always said the Colts would win, cause they are a better team, but we certainly could have schemed better. It wasn't terrible, but we were trying to hard not to lose.

aic4ever
muaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

Philliez01
02-04-2007, 09:20 PM

Where's your team?

aic4ever
02-04-2007, 09:22 PM

Where's your team? celebrating the bears defensive coaching staff choking like they were peyton manning against the patriots from two years ago...and laughing at grossman fumbling two SNAPS in one game like it was pop warner football :lol:

bearsfan_51
02-04-2007, 09:23 PM

Where's your team?
Oh it's fine. He's a Packers fan, they actually are a real rival unlike the Lions/Titans/whoever else.

Philliez01
02-04-2007, 09:23 PM

Where's your team? celebrating the bears defensive coaching staff choking like they were peyton manning against the patriots from two years ago...and laughing at grossman fumbling two SNAPS in one game like it was pop warner football :lol:

They won the SB right?

At least the Bears essentially have all the pieces to keep making runs to the SB. They are set on defense and hell, if Grossman can just be a caretaker they should be good.

sweetness34
02-04-2007, 09:24 PM
Sweetness....seriously...calm down. If the board is making you that angry just go do something else. You're gonna get suspended.

It's people who have the nerve to come in here and say stuff like that. I'm really not that angry, although I did cuss, but just frustrated.:lol:

And Smokey, Peyton Manning threw one deep ball the entire game, and that was to Wayne. The rest was him just dumping the ball down underneath; he couldn't throw deep either. He didn't really do much, he just took what we gave him and managed it. Which was very smart. He did play a good game, but not a great one.

Rex didn't have a bad game. He didn't have a good one, but he didn't have a "bad one." He had a mediocre game. He had Berrian deep and I think the wind just knocked it down. Hell Peyton Manning threw some terrible balls that he was lucky to not have intercepted.

I think we should've kept running the ball because TJ had a 7.2 average on them. Pound the rock man. Especially in that weather.

BuckNaked
02-04-2007, 09:25 PM
Is anybody else extremely annoyed by all of the Jaguars and Colts fans bitching because the Colts won?

sweetness34
02-04-2007, 09:26 PM

No comment. I think the rest of this board knows what I'd like to say but I'll refrain.

But I will say this...At least we were there my friend, at least we were there.

aic4ever
02-04-2007, 09:27 PM
seriously though...congrats on a good run...nothin to be ashamed of losing to a clearly superior team and coaching staff...frustrating as hell but nothing to be ashamed of...i was there in 97

Smokey Joe
02-04-2007, 09:27 PM

I can't see this enough...you cannot choke if nobody expects anything of you. It's an oxymoron. If anything Lovie and Co choked. Our coaching staff got completely outplayed tonight. I always said the Colts would win, cause they are a better team, but we certainly could have schemed better. It wasn't terrible, but we were trying to hard not to lose.
I was expecting something better then this tonight.

sweetness34
02-04-2007, 09:29 PM

So was I. I didn't think the Colts played that great. We had opportunities and we didn't cash in. We didn't execute whatever the hell gameplan we had and the Colts did.

Actually I'm not as pissed off as I thought I'd be. Great season. Someone's gotta lose and unfortunately it was us. :cry:

Smokey Joe
02-04-2007, 09:29 PM
Also... Run Turner is a ******* idiot.

Hurricane Ditka
02-04-2007, 09:30 PM
Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting. Ship Lovie's ass off to Dallas for 2 firsts, and call it a day. Ron Turner needs to get axed as well, some of those play calls were terrible. And Rex doesn't even need to get on the plane back to Chicago.

Hurricane Ditka
02-04-2007, 09:31 PM
seriously though...congrats on a good run...nothin to be ashamed of losing to a clearly superior team and coaching staff...frustrating as hell but nothing to be ashamed of...i was there in 97The Colts weren't clearly the superior, the Bears played a terrible game and still only trailed by 5 into the 4th, then the shithit the fan.

bearsfan_51
02-04-2007, 09:33 PM
Well, on the plus side resigning Grossman and Lovie should come a lot cheaper. :lol:

And I think it's time for Rivera to go. If Dallas wants to give him big money to be their DC I would be fine with that. He needs to get out of Lovie's shadow if he wants to get a HC job anyway.

And the Colts were a much better team than us. They smoked their way through the AFC. There's no way in hell we could have done that.

Smokey Joe
02-04-2007, 09:34 PM

So was I. I didn't think the Colts played that great. We had opportunities and we didn't cash in. We didn't execute whatever the hell gameplan we had and the Colts did.

Actually I'm not as pissed off as I thought I'd be. Great season. Someone's gotta lose and unfortunately it was us. :cry:
Unlike the Colts, we still have a chance to compete for the Superbowl for a couple more years. The Colts window was closing. Our window has just begun to open.

And we had plenty of chances, but gave it right back to them. Especially holding the Colts to three field goals was huge and kept them in the game, but the O couldn't do didily. We got three turnovers, but gave it back to them 4 times. We got unlimited chances and the game was for our taking, but we didn't. I am gonna be pissed about this one for a while though.

TitleTown088
02-04-2007, 09:35 PM
Is anybody else extremely annoyed by all of the Jaguars and Colts fans bitching because the Colts won?

There is no poon located on NFLDC. so why are you here then you big stud you?

sweetness34
02-04-2007, 09:35 PM
Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting. Ship Lovie's ass off to Dallas for 2 firsts, and call it a day. Ron Turner needs to get axed as well, some of those play calls were terrible. And Rex doesn't even need to get on the plane back to Chicago.

:lol:

You can't put this all on Rex. No one besides Hester and Gould showed up today, oh and Moose too. The defense was terrible, the pass blocking was bad, etc...

This was a team loss without question. But like HD said, we played terrible tonight and that's about as nice as I can put it. The blame goes all around with this one.

yodabear
02-04-2007, 09:36 PM

Can u send him back to St. Louis instead?

Smokey Joe
02-04-2007, 09:38 PM

yoda, I love you. Giving me a little chuckle when I'm pissed as ****.

SFbear
seriously though...congrats on a good run...nothin to be ashamed of losing to a clearly superior team and coaching staff...frustrating as hell but nothing to be ashamed of...i was there in 97The Colts weren't clearly the superior, the Bears played a terrible game and still only trailed by 5 into the 4th, then the shithit the fan.

I would actually credit our D for keeping Peyton to field goals despite the offense failing to sustain drives and get them some rest. They kept things from getting out of hand but couldnt do it by themselves. Colts also executed very well on D. Congrats to them being the superior team.

bearsfan_51
The defense wasn't terrible. They held them to 22 points and caused 3 turnovers. We just couldn't sustain any drives to keep them off the field.

Smokey Joe
02-04-2007, 09:39 PM

You can't put this all on Rex. No one besides Hester and Gould showed up today, oh and Moose too. The defense was terrible, the pass blocking was bad, etc...

This was a team loss without question. But like HD said, we played terrible tonight and that's about as nice as I can put it. The blame goes all around with this one.
I can't blame the defense that much as it is understandable how they could get tired for being on the field for 40 some minutes and 70 some plays in the game. I pin this game Grossman and Turner.

yodabear
02-04-2007, 09:41 PM

yoda, I love you. Giving me a little chuckle when I'm pissed as ***********.

U guys have nothing to be ashamed of. The Bears had a great season and u guys made it further than 30 other teams. And as Dungy said, Lovie's time will come. (and that will have to come without Ron Turner.)

Primetime21
02-04-2007, 09:42 PM
I have respect for this year's bears team. They won some games that they shouldn't. They dominated a weak conference. But all you Bear fans, stop crying that people are excited because you lost. I'll admit that I am not a Bear fan, but I've heard it all year from my Bear fan friends. Especially in games they shouldn't have won, how this team is a team of destiny. What's a rivalry without some hate??? Shrug off the haters, kidz. I'm too competitive to just sit here and say be happy with just being there, but if that's what you need to do to get over the criticizem, then do it. The crying is ridiciulous tho. Life goes on. And draft day is only 82 days away.

As for you Sweetness, Grossman played horrible. I don't know what game you were watching. Granted the play calling stunk, but you have to admit, even when he had time to throw, his decision making was terrible and so were a lot of those passes. The fumbles were unacceptable. And the weather wasn't an excuse. He played college ball in florida. The colts play in a dome. If anything the conditions should have favored the bears. Get the blinders off kid. Grossman was bad tonight. Real bad.

One last thing, anyone else think it's comical how people come on here and thank a certain fan base for a good season??? Give me a break...

Smokey Joe
02-04-2007, 09:45 PM

U guys have nothing to be ashamed of. The Bears had a great season and u guys made it further than 30 other teams. And as Dungy said, Lovie's time will come. (and that will have to come without Ron Turner.)
You guys can have Turner instead of Lovie...

HD, Lovie wasn't that bad...

bearfan
02-04-2007, 09:49 PM
Ok, I have absolutley no faith in Grossman anymore. He lost us this game with his 2 late INTs, that was the dagger.

bearsfan_51
02-04-2007, 09:51 PM
I have respect for this year's bears team. They won some games that they shouldn't. They dominated a weak conference. But all you Bear fans, stop crying that people are excited because you lost. I'll admit that I am not a Bear fan, but I've heard it all year from my Bear fan friends. Especially in games they shouldn't have won, how this team is a team of destiny. What's a rivalry without some hate??? Shrug off the haters, kidz. I'm too competitive to just sit here and say be happy with just being there, but if that's what you need to do to get over the criticizem, then do it. The crying is ridiciulous tho. Life goes on. And draft day is only 82 days away.

As for you Sweetness, Grossman played horrible. I don't know what game you were watching. Granted the play calling stunk, but you have to admit, even when he had time to throw, his decision making was terrible and so were a lot of those passes. The fumbles were unacceptable. And the weather wasn't an excuse. He played college ball in florida. The colts play in a dome. If anything the conditions should have favored the bears. Get the blinders off kid. Grossman was bad tonight. Real bad.

One last thing, anyone else think it's comical how people come on here and thank a certain fan base for a good season??? Give me a break...
Very good post.

sweetness34
02-04-2007, 09:51 PM

Grossman was mediocre. The fumbles, eh, Peyton Manning even had a hard time holding on to the ball. The INT's. The Moose pass was just flat out bad. The Berrian pass, he had him but I really think he got it up in the wind and it died. It was a good read, just fell short.

That and he had a lot of pressure in his face throughout the game. He was put in a position where he had to go deep and make a play. Hell even the great Peyton Manning threw some very bad balls.

Also, on his second fumble, I couldn't tell but it looked like it hit the top of his hand. But who knows. Rex didn't lose us this game though. It was a team loss without question.

etk
02-04-2007, 09:52 PM
Rex Grossman is the worst Super Bowl QB ever. As a Bucs fan, it pissed me off to see Lovie stick with Rex all throughout with Griese waiting on the bench. He was never even given a chance and he would've at least made the game close. Grossman's gotta go sorry guys. Playcalling sucked too but I blame Lovie Smith for not starting Brian Griese.

Hurricane Ditka
02-04-2007, 09:53 PM

HD, Lovie wasn't that bad...He was out-coached. He couldn't stop Joseph Addai or Domique Rhodes, or Peyton Manning. Their offensive game plan sucked as well. And with Benson's injury what happens to the future of Jones? The Bears won't be back next year, this game sent this organization back to the stone age. Brian Brohm sweepstakes here we come.

sweetness34
02-04-2007, 09:55 PM

I can't blame the defense that much as it is understandable how they could get tired for being on the field for 40 some minutes and 70 some plays in the game. I pin this game Grossman and Turner.

THIS WAS A TEAM LOSS!!! YOU CANNOT PUT THIS ON A SINGLE PLAYER!!!!

Defensively we couldn't tackle and we couldn't stop the run. Our secondary had a huge break down in coverage. Our OL had a lot of trouble pass blocking. Cedric Benson fumbled on our half of the field. Gabe Reid fumbled on the kickoff. Our gameplan wasn't executed...Brad Maynard I thought could've had a better game, but with the conditions I'll give him a break. Our ST tackling was very bad.

Fine, say Rex had a bad game. But he wasn't the only one.

bearsfan_51
02-04-2007, 09:55 PM

HD, Lovie wasn't that bad...He was out-coached. He couldn't stop Joseph Addai or Domique Rhodes, or Peyton Manning. Their offensive game plan sucked as well. And with Benson's injury what happens to the future of Jones? The Bears won't be back next year, this game sent this organization back to the stone age. Brian Brohm sweepstakes here we come.
You're ridiculous sometimes.

Bearsfan123
02-04-2007, 09:56 PM
The offense sucked but i give Indy props, they attacked us in the best way possible, underneath. They just kept hitting our soft underbelly and nickel and dimed us til our D was puddin. Tackling was bad, offense sucked, play calling sucked. As was said, this was a team loss.

Also Grossman is under way too much scrutiny, ppl should be happy a first year starter got them to the SB but ppl want him to best Peyton Manning and thats just plain unfair. This is what Peytons fifth time in the playoffs? Grossmans SECOND! Jesus friggin Christ give the guy some leniency, all f*ckin year everyone was either on his jock or callin for his head. No levelheadness at all for him. It was either hes God or hes crap. Yeah, I dont even really like him, but im still willing to see this for what it is. He was pressured and the game turned out bad, he fumbled, threw picks, and looked utterly bad, oh yeah he was also on the worlds biggest stage, was constantly being told how bad he was, and didnt have the supporting cast his opposite did, Oh and the defense gave him what? Four chances a goddamn half!? So i dont think anyone can say sh*t about getting rid of Grossman. Period.

(Tho im not opposed to bringing in competition for the starting gig)

yodabear

HD, Lovie wasn't that bad...

I DON'T WANT HIM!

49ersfan_87

The bears will be good for a while. Young, very good defense. Mostly young offense for the most part (except OL)

The thing that will hold you back, if anything will hold you back, is the QB. I dont know if grossman can be dependable for a 16 game season. The bears found ways to win without their QB, but it cant be like that forever.

Primetime21
02-04-2007, 10:00 PM
Where was Urlacher? It seemed like the colts were content running right at him. I know a lot of guys missed tackles, but for all the media hype, where was B.U.?

Hurricane Ditka
02-04-2007, 10:01 PM

You're ridiculous sometimes.What does this team have going for it? A terrible offensive coordinator, a quarterback that couldn't make the right decision between ice cream and asbestos, a running back that just suffered his second knee injury in two years and a running back that wants to get the hell out of Chicago. An offensive line that's about to qualify for AARP cards, a defensive that stops playing good football after thanksgiving, and no offensive or defensive identity.

Smokey Joe
02-04-2007, 10:03 PM
Where was Urlacher? It seemed like the colts were content running right at him. I know a lot of guys missed tackles, but for all the media hype, where was B.U.?
He was all over the place. And so was D. Manning.

If there was one bright spot, it would be Manning finally playing good.

sweetness34

Brian played solid tonight. He wasn't challanged in the passing game but he was solid against the run. He didn't play great tonight but he was one of the guys who actually had a solid game IMO.

And HD, please take a day leave from this board and then come back ok buddy, wow and I thought I was pissed off. This game set us back to the stoneage? :lol: You realize how bad the North and the NFC is right? We're still one of the top teams in the NFC, and this game doesn't change that.

We got outplayed and outcoached. It happens. But this game isn't indicative of how good a team we are.

bearfan
How bad is Bensons injury?
And anyone looking at Drew STanton now?

yodabear
02-04-2007, 10:04 PM

You're ridiculous sometimes.What does this team have going for it? A terrible offensive coordinator, a quarterback that couldn't make the right decision between ice cream and asbestos, a running back that just suffered his second knee injury in two years and a running back that wants to get the hell out of Chicago. An offensive line that's about to qualify for AARP cards, a defensive that stops playing good football after thanksgiving, and no offensive or defensive identity.

Rex will get better. This was his first full year of starting, he will get better with time, and hopefully with a different offensive coordinator.

Smokey Joe
02-04-2007, 10:05 PM

Brian played solid tonight. He wasn't challanged in the passing game but he was solid against the run. He didn't play great tonight but he was one of the guys who actually had a solid game IMO.

And HD, please take a day leave from this board and then come back ok buddy, wow and I thought I was pissed off. This game set us back to the stoneage? :lol: You realize how bad the North and the NFC is right? We're still one of the top teams in the NFC, and this game doesn't change that.

We got outplayed and outcoached. It happens. But this game isn't indicative of how good a team we are.
The Bears should have still won as they had multiple oppurtunities.

bearsfan_51
02-04-2007, 10:05 PM

I'm not going to debate with you. You overreact with everything, be it good or bad. We've got a great core to build around. As the other poster said, it comes down to either

A)Grossman's development
B)Finding someone to replace Rex

Part of this is because we were almost victim's of coming out of a weak NFC. There isn't a single NFC team that wouldn't have gotten smoked tonight. Hell, the Colts dominated the Ravens.

Smokey Joe
02-04-2007, 10:06 PM
no need for a crappier version of Grossman.

Hurricane Ditka
02-04-2007, 10:07 PM

I'm not going to debate with you. You overreact with everything, be it good or bad. We've got a great core to build around. As the other poster said, it comes down to either

A)Grossman's development
B)Finding someone to replace Rex

Part of this is because we were almost victim's of coming out of a weak NFC. There isn't a single NFC team that wouldn't have gotten smoked tonight. Hell, the Colts dominated the Ravens.I'm going to be very mad for a very long time. I know what I said were overreactions, but fudge it, after that game, I'm allowed to overreact.

bearsfan_51
02-04-2007, 10:07 PM
They really aren't very similar at all. But drafting another young QB is not the answer. A real QB competition next year would be a good idea though.

sweetness34
02-04-2007, 10:08 PM

The Bears should have still won as they had multiple oppurtunities.

And that's the sad part. We got outgained by 200 yards, they doubled us in TOP, we had 2 more turnovers, they had like 15 more first downs, etc...And we stil had a shot to win this game.

We're a darn good ball club, and to even be in this game at the end with how bad we played is indicative of that.

Smokey Joe
02-04-2007, 10:09 PM
They really aren't very similar at all. But drafting another young QB is not the answer. A real QB competition next year would be a good idea though.
They both make horrible decisions.

Smokey Joe
02-04-2007, 10:11 PM
It was Chris Harris who blew that wide open TD pass to Wayne, right? If so, why was Harris on the right side of the field(his right).

Hurricane Ditka
02-04-2007, 10:12 PM
It was Chris Harris who blew that wide open TD pass to Wayne, right? If so, why was Harris on the right side of the field(his right).It was a combination of Tillman and Manning wasn't it?

bearsfan_51
02-04-2007, 10:13 PM
It was Chris Harris who blew that wide open TD pass to Wayne, right? If so, why was Harris on the right side of the field(his right).It was a combination of Tillman and Manning wasn't it?
I'm almost positive it was simply Harris biting down instead of backing up. He just let Wayne blow right by him.

The lack of confidence that the coaching staff had in our safties was clearly evident tonight. They were 20 yards off the ball on every play.

Smokey Joe
02-04-2007, 10:14 PM
Tillman didn't do anythign wrong as he was supposed to have help from the safety. It was whoever playing safety on that plays fault as he went up to stop the short pass instead of staying up top.

Yes, I remember now, it was Harris.

Bearsfan123
02-04-2007, 10:17 PM
The offense sucked but i give Indy props, they attacked us in the best way possible, underneath. They just kept hitting our soft underbelly and nickel and dimed us til our D was puddin. Tackling was bad, offense sucked, play calling sucked. As was said, this was a team loss.

Also Grossman is under way too much scrutiny, ppl should be happy a first year starter got them to the SB but ppl want him to best Peyton Manning and thats just plain unfair. This is what Peytons fifth time in the playoffs? Grossmans SECOND! Jesus friggin Christ give the guy some leniency, all f*ckin year everyone was either on his jock or callin for his head. No levelheadness at all for him. It was either hes God or hes crap. Yeah, I dont even really like him, but im still willing to see this for what it is. He was pressured and the game turned out bad, he fumbled, threw picks, and looked utterly bad, oh yeah he was also on the worlds biggest stage, was constantly being told how bad he was, and didnt have the supporting cast his opposite did, Oh and the defense gave him what? Four chances a goddamn half!? So i dont think anyone can say sh*t about getting rid of Grossman. Period.

(Tho im not opposed to bringing in competition for the starting gig)

Bring in David Carr for competition i say! (I like him alot)

sweetness34
02-04-2007, 10:18 PM
I'm almost positive it was simply Harris biting down instead of backing up. He just let Wayne blow right by him.

The lack of confidence that the coaching staff had in our safties was clearly evident tonight. They were 20 yards off the ball on every play.

It was Manning, not Harris. He bit on the underneath route and Tillman let Wayne go deep. Chris actually stayed deep.

Go back and TIVO it, Manning was the guilty party.

Smokey Joe
02-04-2007, 10:21 PM

It was Manning, not Harris. He bit on the underneath route and Tillman let Wayne go deep. Chris actually stayed deep.

No, I am fairly certain it was Harris. Maybe you should go back and tivo it, as I didn't record the game. We will just have wait and see the replay.

yodabear
02-04-2007, 10:22 PM
Yoda will be your shoulder to cry on. Its all good u all.

sweetness34
02-04-2007, 10:23 PM

No, I am fairly certain it was Harris. Maybe you should go back and tivo it, as I didn't record the game. We will just have wait and see the replay.

Dude it was Danieal Manning. It was number 38 in Blue, that's Manning. Even Simms and Nance said it was Manning.

Hurricane Ditka
02-04-2007, 10:23 PM
Our offensive line showed it's age today, and I still think that'll should be our number 1 priority this off-season. After signing Lovie to a slightly less expensive deal.

yodabear
02-04-2007, 10:24 PM
And the I hate Adam Vinatieri club meetings are held every Tuesday night in Minnesota. I am the President of that club, new members are always welcome.

Smokey Joe
02-04-2007, 10:25 PM

Dude it was Danieal Manning. It was number 38 in Blue, that's Manning. Even Simms and Nance said it was Manning.
No, Simms and Nance said it was Harris, as I remember them even saying Lovie right away called Harris over to talk to him.

bearsfan_51
02-04-2007, 10:25 PM

Did you rewatch it? I could have swore both guys said it was Harris and that Lovie was talking to him on the sideline.

DHVF
02-04-2007, 10:27 PM
Congrats on a great season Bear fans. Your team looks to have a very bright future and I wouldn't be shocked at all if ya'll have another shot at the title in no time.

Smokey Joe
02-04-2007, 10:31 PM
Just an FYI. Grossman, Giese, and most likely Orton will be our QB's next season. Where we will be picking there would be no QB worth taking and it won't be worth giving up an arm and a leg for either trading up to the top 5 or for Matt Schuab.

bearsfan_51
02-04-2007, 10:31 PM
Congrats on a great season Bear fans. Your team looks to have a very bright future and I wouldn't be shocked at all if ya'll have another shot at the title in no time.
I hope so. It's so hard to get back. The last losing team to come back and win a Superbowl was the Patriots, and that was 5 years later with a different head coach and quarterback.

Vince Lombardi
02-04-2007, 10:33 PM
They both make horrible decisions.

Stanton is more like a young version of Jake Plummer, but regardless.....

Good season, you guys got plenty to look forward to (though hopefully there is atleast a couple of competitive teams in the NFC next year). I can't say I'm not happy that the Bears lost, but I'm not gonna rub it in because I remember how bad it sucks watching your team lose the big one (damn you Elway!!! :evil:). My advice is to just drink till you pass out tonight and can't remember anything tomorrow, always works for me! :P 8)

Number 10
02-04-2007, 10:34 PM
I hope so. It's so hard to get back. The last losing team to come back and win a Superbowl was the Patriots, and that was 5 years later with a different head coach and quarterback.

You guys will be in a better position than the other losers for the most part? Why? Because you are young and deep in key spots as a result of building through the draft.

DHVF
02-04-2007, 10:37 PM
I hope so. It's so hard to get back. The last losing team to come back and win a Superbowl was the Patriots, and that was 5 years later with a different head coach and quarterback.Yeah, but the past doesn't define the future and I believe the Bear's future to be bright. They're young at many core positions and were missing one of the best defensive players in the NFL in Harris. While there certainly are questions for the future, but every team has those and I believe the Bears to be the type of team to successfully answer those. It'll be interesting to see who emerges in place of Briggs and to see how he does. I personally don't think he'll be that big of a loss and believe him to be overrated in terms of his value to your defense. It'll definitely be interesting and I look forward to seeing how everything turns out.

bearsfan_51
02-04-2007, 10:39 PM
Briggs will be franchised. I'll be very suprised if he isn't.

Smokey Joe
02-04-2007, 10:40 PM
Briggs will be franchised. I'll be very suprised if he isn't.
I don't see how you possibly couldn't. That would be beyond ******** if we just let him walk.

sweetness34
02-04-2007, 10:41 PM

Did you rewatch it? I could have swore both guys said it was Harris and that Lovie was talking to him on the sideline.

I'll bet anything it was Manning. The guy had a 3 on his jersey. That and it was on Manning's side if I remember correctly. That and it's a play that Manning would've given up too. :lol:

Man this day sucks. I'm happy for a great season but I'm frustrated and pissed off that we played like we did. I don't mind losing if we play well, but not going down like we did.

sweetness34
02-04-2007, 10:44 PM
Ok so if we franchise Briggs and he doesn't sign somewhere else, do we get him for one more year? Is that how it works?

51, help me out here buddy...

Smokey Joe
02-04-2007, 10:45 PM

I'll bet anything it was Manning. The guy had a 3 on his jersey. That and it was on Manning's side if I remember correctly. That and it's a play that Manning would've given up too. :lol:

Man this day sucks. I'm happy for a great season but I'm frustrated and pissed off that we played like we did. I don't mind losing if we play well, but not going down like we did.
Are you sure your not thinking of Tillman as he was chasing him at the end of the play. Plus I just saw the replay on NBC and the view didn't show Harris but the sports-caster said it was Harris. Now why would Simms and the NBC guy both say it was Harris?

GB12
02-04-2007, 10:46 PM
Ok so if we franchise Briggs and he doesn't sign somewhere else, do we get him for one more year? Is that how it works?

Yeah, you get him for one year while paying him the average of the top 5(?) highest paid at his position.

Smokey Joe
02-04-2007, 10:46 PM

Yes.

bearsfan_51
02-04-2007, 10:48 PM
The cost for next year will be 7.2 million. Which is a lot. They offered him a deal in the offseason which was around 5.5 million per year. On the plus side, however, one year doesn't put us on the line for a signing bonus or anything of that nature.

Smart money says we franchise him.

hcbrad08
02-04-2007, 10:59 PM
with the 63rd pick in the 2007 NFL Draft the Chigao Bears select Drew Stanton QB from Mich St.

Grossman's performace this year was decent at best...
He racked up his small amount of good stats against bad D's and he needs competition or to be replaced...

morknolle
02-04-2007, 11:04 PM
Hey guys, first of all congratulations on a hell of a season. For the longest time I thought the AFC divisional round and championship would be a better game than the Super Bowl but although it was sloppy it was a very entertaining game. You guys should be proud of your team.

That said, I'm trying to put together some offseason ideas and have a couple questions about your team. I have seen in several mocks where they have you guys taking Zach Miller in the 1st round. Is TE that big of a need for you guys that you'd be looking to do that? Your defense is definitely the strength of your team so offense should be more of your focus this offseason, but everyone thought that last year too. Although Desmond Clark is getting a little old I was under the impression he was still a pretty solid TE, do you guys feel otherwise and if so to the extent that you'd look at TE in the 1st round?

What about your OLine? I read thru several pages on this forum and it seems like you could maybe look for some OLinemen, specifically your OTs since they are a little old as well. Do you think that is a position that you could be looking at in the first couple rounds of the draft? Joe Thomas will obviously gone by your pick and Levi Brown should be as well, leaving Joe Staley and Tony Ugoh as the next best OTs, any chance your team might look at one of them with the 31st pick?

Outside of those positions, I think your offense is pretty set unless you do decide to look for another QB, but I personally don't think that is a huge need other than maybe looking for a better backup, not sure how you guys like Grossman and Griese. Grossman obviously has some talent but has been inconsistent at best thru most of the season. Any chance you guys would look at RB if you lose Thomas Jones this offseason or maybe look at WR?

On defense, you could obviously use a LB if you end up losing Lance Briggs. Outside of that, are there any other positions of particular need? Tommie Harris is obviously an elite DT, but what about your other guys there? It sounds like a decent amount of you don't expect Tank Johnson to be back and aren't thrilled with the rest of them. Any other needs at DE, LB, or CB/S? It seems like overall your team is pretty set and at least in the 1st round might just take whoever they feel is the best player available.

Any thoughts on what you guys will be looking at in the draft? I appreciate any comments you have. Thanks, and congrats again on a nice season. You guys should easily be in a position to repeat as NFC champs next year.

bearfan
02-04-2007, 11:12 PM
I want a QB

Smokey Joe
02-04-2007, 11:14 PM
with the 63rd pick in the 2007 NFL Draft the Chigao Bears select Drew Stanton QB from Mich St.

He racked up his small amount of good stats against bad D's and he needs competition or to be replaced...
You are way off... With the 63rd pick in the 2007 NFL draft, thie Chicago Bears select John Wendling, S from Wyoming

bearfan
02-04-2007, 11:17 PM

You are way off... With the 63rd pick in the 2007 NFL draft, thie Chicago Bears select John Wendling, S from Wyoming

I could live w/ Stanton in the 2nd, and a S in the 1st. Free or Harris or w/e T/G can be taken in the 3rd and 4th

Smokey Joe
02-04-2007, 11:18 PM

I could live w/ Stanton in the 2nd, and a S in the 1st. Free or Harris or w/e T/G can be taken in the 3rd and 4th
Joe Staley is our first round pick :twisted:

bearfan
02-04-2007, 11:22 PM

Joe Staley is our first round pick :twisted:

I hear he had quite a Senior Bowl game :roll:
Griffen or Merriweather in the 1st
or if Bowe falls to us

Stanton in the 2nd

OL 3rd and 4th

VoteLynnSwan
02-05-2007, 01:14 AM
drafting a QB would be beyond stupid. There's no point in drafting a QB who would take minimum 3 years to develop when you have a team that is in position to be a constant contender as is the case now with the Bears. Grossman is essentially a rookie QB, and with time i think he can develop into, at the very least, a serviceable NFL QB. Let us not forget that Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson have both won Superbowls.

SFbear
02-05-2007, 01:26 AM
drafting a QB would be beyond stupid. There's no point in drafting a QB who would take minimum 3 years to develop when you have a team that is in position to be a constant contender as is the case now with the Bears. Grossman is essentially a rookie QB, and with time i think he can develop into, at the very least, a serviceable NFL QB. Let us not forget that Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson have both won Superbowls.

We will probably stick with Grossman for next year, but I don't see us signing him to an extension any time soon. If Orton hasn't shown any progress in his development in practice we might want to bring in a later round QB to develop at third string.

bearsfan_51
02-05-2007, 07:42 AM

We will probably stick with Grossman for next year, but I don't see us signing him to an extension any time soon. If Orton hasn't shown any progress in his development in practice we might want to bring in a later round QB to develop at third string.
We should absolutely sign him to an extension. There's no better time to do it. They've got an entire offseason to convince him how low his value is.

Geo
02-05-2007, 07:54 AM
The Bears have their franchise QB in the promising but young Grossman, the focus now should be consistency in terms of coaching and production. Give Grossman the benefit of having Lovie Smith and Ron Turner as his coaches for the next half-dozen or so years, and watch him flourish as his Super Bowl opponent Manning has with Tony Dungy and Tom Moore for 5 and 9 years respectively.

The Bears have done an excellent job in acquiring and developing talent in the last few years, that's key. Berrian is a young, promising player as well, for example.

Bearsfan123
02-05-2007, 08:09 AM
Hey guys, first of all congratulations on a hell of a season. For the longest time I thought the AFC divisional round and championship would be a better game than the Super Bowl but although it was sloppy it was a very entertaining game. You guys should be proud of your team.

That said, I'm trying to put together some offseason ideas and have a couple questions about your team. I have seen in several mocks where they have you guys taking Zach Miller in the 1st round. Is TE that big of a need for you guys that you'd be looking to do that? Your defense is definitely the strength of your team so offense should be more of your focus this offseason, but everyone thought that last year too. Although Desmond Clark is getting a little old I was under the impression he was still a pretty solid TE, do you guys feel otherwise and if so to the extent that you'd look at TE in the 1st round?

What about your OLine? I read thru several pages on this forum and it seems like you could maybe look for some OLinemen, specifically your OTs since they are a little old as well. Do you think that is a position that you could be looking at in the first couple rounds of the draft? Joe Thomas will obviously gone by your pick and Levi Brown should be as well, leaving Joe Staley and Tony Ugoh as the next best OTs, any chance your team might look at one of them with the 31st pick?

Outside of those positions, I think your offense is pretty set unless you do decide to look for another QB, but I personally don't think that is a huge need other than maybe looking for a better backup, not sure how you guys like Grossman and Griese. Grossman obviously has some talent but has been inconsistent at best thru most of the season. Any chance you guys would look at RB if you lose Thomas Jones this offseason or maybe look at WR?

On defense, you could obviously use a LB if you end up losing Lance Briggs. Outside of that, are there any other positions of particular need? Tommie Harris is obviously an elite DT, but what about your other guys there? It sounds like a decent amount of you don't expect Tank Johnson to be back and aren't thrilled with the rest of them. Any other needs at DE, LB, or CB/S? It seems like overall your team is pretty set and at least in the 1st round might just take whoever they feel is the best player available.

Any thoughts on what you guys will be looking at in the draft? I appreciate any comments you have. Thanks, and congrats again on a nice season. You guys should easily be in a position to repeat as NFC champs next year.

TE is a 3rd rder at earliest need. Dez clark is solid for at least another year. DT we can get later (a guy im thinkin of is Marcus Thomas in the 4th or 6th)

I think we draft something like this:
1st-OT
2nd-S
3rd-TE
Then from then on its just a throw up to see where we go, but as a definate S and OT have to be addressed.

bearsfan_51
02-05-2007, 08:25 AM
The Bears have their franchise QB in the promising but young Grossman, the focus now should be consistency in terms of coaching and production. Give Grossman the benefit of having Lovie Smith and Ron Turner as his coaches for the next half-dozen or so years, and watch him flourish as his Super Bowl opponent Manning has with Tony Dungy and Tom Moore for 5 and 9 years respectively.

The Bears have done an excellent job in acquiring and developing talent in the last few years, that's key. Berrian is a young, promising player as well, for example.
Exactely. A lot of people are overreacting because apparently they forgot what it's like to lose an important game. It happens. We played a ****** game but that doesn't make us a ****** team. There is a lot of longterm potential here.

bigbluedefense
02-05-2007, 08:51 AM
Tough break guys, sometimes the ball just doesn't bounce your way. I was rooting for the Bears, (I lost 600 :cry: ) but they just didn't make enough plays.

I think the turning point of the game was the INT for a TD. The bears seriously had them right where they wanted them. They limited them to majority of field goals. They got turnovers. They kept it close. A lack of commitment to the run game and that INT was the difference of the game. No one could throw it deep, not Peyton either. The weather definately helped the Bears cause, but they just couldn't punch it in.

Good effort none the less, and the Bears were clearly the class of the NFC. Don't kill Rex, he'll get better with time, and we all knew if he was forced into a must score situation it would get a little ugly, so we can't kill him for it. Over 200 rushing yards by the Colts didn't exactly help him either.

A couple of questions concerning the offseason.

What to do with Thomas Jones? He was great throughout the playoffs, and is gonna be hard to let go with his performances.

Depth at SS is clearly needed, how will the Bears address this?

Will the Bears address offense early? Will it be olinemen or skill position players?

And one final note. Mark Andersen is gonna be a beast. What a steal. He's gonna be a real good player. Do you think he cracks the starting lineup next year?

bearsfan_51
02-05-2007, 10:07 AM
I'll try to answer each of your questions.

-I think Jones stays. He's said in recent weeks that he thinks sharing carries with Benson will help his longterm career, that he loves playing for Lovie Smith, and that he wants to stay a Bear. While Benson has shown potential, he still has yet to show that he can be a franchise back. I don't think Jones will hold out (he's set to make 2.5 million next year) and he'll have another year to audition himself for the free agent market and could possibly even re-up with the Bears and continue the situation he has with Benson. I think a lot of the press is much to do about nothing.

-I've been saying safety is a first day need with or without Mike Brown back. I simply do not like Danieal Manning at all. Chris Harris is a good backup, so I don't think it's a question of depth per se, I just think he need more reliable players. Harris can come in and play a game or two and be ok, but if Mike Brown keeps going on IR by week 6 we cannot rely on him or Todd Johnson as a full-time insurance policy. Especially with D.Manning playing so poorly.

-One would assume offense is a focus, but I wouldn't be shocked to see us go heavy on defensive depth. The O-line obviously is getting older, but if Rueben is resigned there are only so many spots left open for draft picks. I would expect a high draft pick for offensive tackle depth and that's about it. We recently signed St.Clair longterm so you never know. There are some on here that seem convinced the Bears will go heavy O-line, but I believe that is more what they want the Bears to do, and not based on any precedence or analysis.

-The coaching staff has already stated that Anderson will compete with Alex Brown for the starting LDE spot next year. In all honesty I don't think it matters who starts either way, Anderson plays about 40-50% of the defensive snaps as is.

IBleedNavyandOrange
02-05-2007, 10:10 AM
All I wanted was for the Bears to play well--win or lose--so the envious jerks could just shut the hell up about the team "deserving" to be in the Superbowl.

And for a quarter and a half, I got that.

Here's the breakdowns, as far as I saw:

1) Offensive game plan: very bad. Complete lack of a vertical passing game, and a return of the Shoop-esque play calling (3rd and long and the play is a swing pass to the RB?). The footing looked solid, and though Rex didn't have a lot of time to throw, the Colts' secondary was beat up and by not throwing downfield early, they stacked against the run and short pass. Result: 3-and-out, over and over, defense on the field waaaay too long.

Side note to this one: Turner bears the blame for this one, and other crappy game plans. From the outset this game seemed doomed offensively... sloppy conditions and a soft run defense? Why wasn't Benson in there early pounding the crap out of Indy like he did in the Saints game?

2) Offensive line: the lack of mobility at OT showed again here... Rex was not able to set up, and both his INTs (and one that should have been an INT) were hurried from collapsing pockets.

Side note: the aging offensive line must be addressed in the off-season. This game was lost on the lines, and the O-line bears as much blame as Rex for the poor showing.

3) Offensive Rex: he had a bad game. Not a horrible game. Not a "throw the bum out" game. Yes, the pick-six was the nail in the coffin, but let's face it: the Bears were in the coffin at that point. Rex didn't lose this game for the Bears--the whole team lost it. But Rex did not do anything to help the Bears win it, either. Yes, two fumbled snaps is horrible, despite the rain. But Benson and Gilmore put the ball on the ground, too. Their fumbles were just as costly as Rex's.

Side note to this one: people advocating shipping Rex out of town need to pop a ****** or two. This guy is the best QB the Bears have had in a while, and dumping him just to pick up some new rookie (or someone's used condom of a QB) is not progress--it's regress. There's a reason why the Bears sucked so hard over the past 12 years--20+ (or whatever the real number is) QB changes. Rex needs to improve--this is a "duh" comment--but the fact is that when he's good, he's good. And considering Rex didn't show much of this "Bad Rex" crap in college, there's plenty to suggest that a real QB coach and a better offensive coordinator (sorry Ron... I was a big fan in the Kramer days, but you've lost your mojo now) can stabilize Rex.

4) Defensive line had no push: 1st sack didn't come until the 4th quarter. Bears were blitzing like fools for a while. Tommie Harris cannot be the team's only bonafide rusher in the middle. Yes, the Colts have a good O-line, but they had a rookie at RT for most of the game and you'd never have known it.

Side note: Bye-bye, Tank. It's becoming obvious to me that the reason why you looked good earlier this year and in previous years is because you had someone else taking on double-teams. I like you (minus the guns, dope, and dogs) and wish you well, but unless you get better on and off the field, you shouldn't be starting. And the Bears cannot afford the headache of your off-field problems if you aren't starting. I feel a bit hypocritical about this stance, but I'll explain it in depth at a later date.

5) Safety play continued to stink: Danieal Manning takes horrid angles and doesn't break down to tackle. He needs Mike Brown back there to help him out. Harris bit on the underneath route, letting Wayne get behind him on that first TD, violating the Ultimate Commandment of the Safety: Thou dost let no man get behind thee! Tillman and Vasher played tremendously well, but the safety play made the secondary look weak.

6) Kickoffs were bad: Gould didn't get much length, and coverage was poor. 'Nuff said.

7) Defense didn't adjust: I stopped counting how many times Indy came out in that same slot formation (with Clark in the slot), and half the time it looked like no one was covering the slot. Sure, Hillenmeyer would cheat over, and Clark did relatively little in the grand scheme, but it appeared to me that the defense, while relatively solid considering the potency of Indy's attack, was playing a cautious game the entire time... which would've been fine if the offense was doing anything. But late in the game, when the chips were down and the Bears needed a spark, they got nothin' from the defense. I shouldn't expect a spark, but dammit, they've done it so many times this season I felt like they should've done it again.

I have more, but it's mainly nit-picking after this point. I can't believe they didn't get the ball in Berrian's hands more. I can't believe how the lines were utterly dominated by Indy. I can't believe Peyton got the MVP for having just a so-so game. I think the right thing would've been to let Rhodes and Addai split it--they won the game for Indy--but apparently we want to give the QB all the glory, even when he didn't really distinguish himself. Hell, Vinatieri and Indy's D each did as well (or better) than Peyton in the scoring department.

Oh, and to all the people who want to dogpile on the Bears... suck it. The only team that did better than the Bears this year was the Colts. So all you Detroit (or Minnesota, or Oakland, or whatever garbage-hole) fans can just bite me. 15-4 and second-best in the league is better than the single-digit victories (and double-digit years since your last playoff win) you posted this year.

bigbluedefense
02-05-2007, 10:13 AM

-I think Jones stays. He's said in recent weeks that he thinks sharing carries with Benson will help his longterm career, that he loves playing for Lovie Smith, and that he wants to stay a Bear. While Benson has shown potential, he still has yet to show that he can be a franchise back. I don't think Jones will hold out (he's set to make 2.5 million next year) and he'll have another year to audition himself for the free agent market and could possibly even re-up with the Bears and continue the situation he has with Benson. I think a lot of the press is much to do about nothing.

-I've been saying safety is a first day need with or without Mike Brown back. I simply do not like Danieal Manning at all. Chris Harris is a good backup, so I don't think it's a question of depth per se, I just think he need more reliable players. Harris can come in and play a game or two and be ok, but if Mike Brown keeps going on IR by week 6 we cannot rely on him or Todd Johnson as a full-time insurance policy. Especially with D.Manning playing so poorly.

-One would assume offense is a focus, but I wouldn't be shocked to see us go heavy on defensive depth. The O-line obviously is getting older, but if Rueben is resigned there are only so many spots left open for draft picks. I would expect a high draft pick for offensive tackle depth and that's about it. We recently signed St.Clair longterm so you never know. There are some on here that seem convinced the Bears will go heavy O-line, but I believe that is more what they want the Bears to do, and not based on any precedence or analysis.

-The coaching staff has already stated that Anderson will compete with Alex Brown for the starting LDE spot next year. In all honesty I don't think it matters who starts either way, Anderson plays about 40-50% of the defensive snaps as is.

I know youre big on Michael Griffin and want him at SS. Do you think he projects well at SS just in the Cover 2, or is he more suited for that position in every scheme? Would he work at FS? Just curious to hear your thoughts on that, Im starting to grow interest in him myself.

bearsfan_51
02-05-2007, 10:34 AM
Those are all good questions, but not ones in which I feel suited to answer. :lol:

I only saw a handful of Texas games and wasn't always watching safety play. (Little known fact: I don't like college football)

I just like Griffen's intangibles and how he fits in the SS position in a cover 2 (especially our cover 2) that and considering Angelo-Lovie's propensity to take Texas/Oklahoma players (Benson, Vasher, Harris, Bradley) in the last two years he seems like a good fit.

But at this point I would take any safety. I'm very high on Weddle too.

bearsfan_51
02-05-2007, 11:22 AM
Posted this in the Cowboys forum:

I actually would be glad if Rivera left. I like him as a DC but a change would be nice and Bob Babich is very deserving of a promotion, not to mention that he'll be a lifetime coordinator in the mold of Jim Johnson/Monte Kiffen and not be the distraction that Rivera is every year looking for a head coaching job.

Dave Toub, on the other hand, I hope they give as much money as he wants to stay away from Philly.

Hurricane Ditka
02-05-2007, 11:37 AM
I like Griffin, but I think offensive tackle is a bigger need than safety. On almost every throw Rex had John Tait or Fred Miller in his face.

Hurricane Ditka
02-05-2007, 11:42 AM
Alright forum mock off season preliminary discussion, since it's likely we won't be in a position to draft Griffin, assuming we franchise Briggs would anyone be opposed to packaging Briggs and our second to move up.

NYmoney
02-05-2007, 11:47 AM
Only one more year on Rex's contract!!!! Whippeeee

bearsfan_51
02-05-2007, 11:51 AM
Alright forum mock off season preliminary discussion, since it's likely we won't be in a position to draft Griffin, assuming we franchise Briggs would anyone be opposed to packaging Briggs and our second to move up.
Not necessarily. Just depends on the offers. I don't want to speculate too much of hypotheticals and I certainly don't want to offer Briggs. If other teams want him they should make an offer, there's no need for us to try and sell.

SFbear
02-05-2007, 11:59 AM

I think Jones will be a team player but I think Benson is going to get cranky if he doesn't get a majority of the load.

We also have McGowan who has been on IR all year. He's shown great potential despite his inability to stay healthy last two seasons. Im on the SS first or second round bandwagon.

bearsfan_51
02-05-2007, 12:03 PM
-Benson really has no room to talk. He hasn't lived up to his own hype yet, and I think he realizes that.

-I poop on McGowan. He's just a name that a lot of fans got excited about but really doesn't have much longterm appeal. He might make the roster next year, but only as a special teams player.

Hurricane Ditka
02-05-2007, 12:09 PM
Benson really hasn't been given the opportunity to live up to his to hype. And with his second knee injury at this point it's likely he never will. It's almost time to chalk him onto the list with the likes of Enis and Salaam. And I like Benson, I've been his biggest supporter this year but he has start producing next year, assuming he isn't intentionally injured again this year. I think the best situation for Jones and Benson is too keep them working together, a similar platooning system to what we had this year, but with the majority of carries going to the better runner whoever that may be.

The difference between our needs on the offensive line and in the secondary, is the secondary has young talent that has shown flashes of talent, we don't have any young depth on the offensive line, and I don't think John St Clair can be an effective backup for a long period of time.

bearsfan_51
02-05-2007, 12:12 PM
Benson really hasn't been given the opportunity to live up to his to hype. And with his second knee injury at this point it's likely he never will. It's almost time to chalk him onto the list with the likes of Enis and Salaam.
:roll:

We don't even know the severity of the injury yet. Stop overreacting to every single breeze that comes along.

Geo
02-05-2007, 12:12 PM
The Chicago Sun-Times delivers some preliminary word on the post-SB XLI Bears: Pro Bowl LB Lance Briggs looks to have a franchise tag in his future, Cedric Benson believes he has a sprained MCL. (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/243104,CST-SPT-bearnt05.article)

Smokey Joe
02-05-2007, 12:16 PM
1. Joe Staley
2. John Wendling
3. BPA - WR, CB, DT, TE, LB

Smokey Joe
02-05-2007, 12:17 PM
Benson really hasn't been given the opportunity to live up to his to hype. And with his second knee injury at this point it's likely he never will. It's almost time to chalk him onto the list with the likes of Enis and Salaam.

We don't even know the severity of the injury yet. Stop overreacting to every single breeze that comes along.
Geo just posted a link where Benson thinks he has a sprained MCL...

That isn't serious, right?

Smokey Joe
02-05-2007, 12:21 PM
Benson really hasn't been given the opportunity to live up to his to hype. And with his second knee injury at this point it's likely he never will. It's almost time to chalk him onto the list with the likes of Enis and Salaam. And I like Benson, I've been his biggest supporter this year but he has start producing next year, assuming he isn't intentionally injured again this year. I think the best situation for Jones and Benson is too keep them working together, a similar platooning system to what we had this year, but with the majority of carries going to the better runner whoever that may be.

The difference between our needs on the offensive line and in the secondary, is the secondary has young talent that has shown flashes of talent, we don't have any young depth on the offensive line, and I don't think John St Clair can be an effective backup for a long period of time.
St. Clair is nothing more then a backup, and was signed long term because you need depth on the OL. Same with Metcalf, IMO. He wasn't signed for a starting role but to compete for a job and provide depth. Joe Staley in the first would be a great move as he can learn behind Tait for a year and when Miller leaves Tait can go back to RT and Staley can take over at LT. OG is more a free agency need, IMO. Whether it be either Ruben Brown or Eric Steinbach.

I agree about keeping TJ. I would have it began as Benson being the starter and Jones being the 3rd down back. About 60% Benson, 40% Jones. But that could all change on how the season unfolds, either it being Benson ermerging or turning into a bust.

bearsfan_51
02-05-2007, 12:22 PM

Geo just posted a link where Benson thinks he has a sprained MCL...

That isn't serious, right?
Yeah I read the same article earlier. I don't think they usually are. He walked off under his own power too, you can't underestimate that.

bearsfan_51
02-05-2007, 12:23 PM
It's usually much smarter (and cheaper) to draft guards than sign them in free agency. We only signed Garza and Brown because both came very cheap.

Smokey Joe
02-05-2007, 12:40 PM
Not necessarily. Just depends on the offers. I don't want to speculate too much of hypotheticals and I certainly don't want to offer Briggs. If other teams want him they should make an offer, there's no need for us to try and sell.
I say we only listen to trade offers that involve first round picks for Briggs.

NYmoney
02-05-2007, 12:45 PM

we won't be hearing anything then. only team that should trade away their first rounder for briggs would be the colts. Count with me kiddies: 364 days left in the Rex Grossman Era!!!

bearsfan_51
02-05-2007, 12:48 PM

we won't be hearing anything then. only team that should trade away their first rounder for briggs would be the colts. Count with me kiddies: 364 days left in the Rex Grossman Era!!!
He's getting signed to an extension.

NYmoney
02-05-2007, 12:54 PM

LOL. LOL. wow. that's great. yea, i'm sure he will. he really proved his worthiness during the last 10 games of the bears' season.

bearsfan_51
02-05-2007, 12:59 PM

LOL. LOL. wow. that's great. yea, i'm sure he will. he really proved his worthiness during the last 10 games of the bears' season.
I really hope you're still here when that happens. I can't count how many times somebody told me that something would or would not happen and then were proven dead wrong. Do some research on the team you're supposedly a fan of.

Hurricane Ditka
02-05-2007, 01:00 PM

He's getting signed to an extension.However unfortunate that may be. Grossman needs to improve his decision making, he guesses too much, he needs to learn which reads to make, and to go through his progression. Grossman has what ~23 starts under his belt, he's farther along than most quarterbacks at this point in their career, now he's stayed healthy, and he just needs to mature. I think Turner and Grossman need to fine tune this offense, configure more to the strengths of this team, and Grossman's personal strengths.

I think we need to add more playmakers to this offense, Ben Patrick from Delaware would be a good option, as he'd be more of a pass catching threat than Gilmore, and could take on an H-back/Chris Cooley type role if need be. If we franchise Briggs (which is all but a formality at this point) I think we can wait and see what we have at linebacker in Jamar Williams, before burning a first round pick on a backup.

In real life or the forum offseason I think trading down is a good idea again.

bearsfan_51
02-05-2007, 01:01 PM
I want to wait and see who is there before trading down this time. Last year the deal was fine because we needed the extra pick after losing it for Ricky Manning. This time around I want to know who is there before trading it.

Hurricane Ditka
02-05-2007, 01:04 PM
I want to wait and see who is there before trading down this time. Last year the deal was fine because we needed the extra pick after losing it for Ricky Manning. This time around I want to know who is there before trading it.If say, Griffin is there I wouldn't trade down, unless someone wants to give multiple day one picks to trade up and get him. I think we need another pass catcher on offensive, and at least one offensive lineman, and at least a safety on defense, maybe a linebacker or defensive lineman (maybe).

Smokey Joe
02-05-2007, 01:16 PM
The more I think about it, the better of an idea it is to get a game changing TE, either Miller or Olsen. Davis is good and all, but he isn't a game changer. Olsen or Miller could be.

Hurricane Ditka
02-05-2007, 01:18 PM
I think Patrick in the 2nd or 32rd presents better value than Olsen or Miller in the first. What about Sidney Rice or Robert Meachem if one of them is still available in the first?

Smokey Joe
02-05-2007, 01:25 PM
I think Patrick in the 2nd or 32rd presents better value than Olsen or Miller in the first. What about Sidney Rice or Robert Meachem if one of them is still available in the first?
TE isn't that big of a need for most teams in the draft and I could see either Olsen or Miller being there at 63 overall.

Meachem, Rice, or Bowe are interesting options in the 1st, but I'm not sold on any of them. I would prefer to wait a year to see how the recievers play next year.

VoteLynnSwan
02-05-2007, 01:30 PM
TE isn't that big of a need for most teams in the draft and I could see either Olsen or Miller being there at 63 overall.

Meachem, Rice, or Bowe are interesting options in the 1st, but I'm not sold on any of them. I would prefer to wait a year to see how the recievers play next year.

if Olsen or Miller is there in the 2nd round, it would be hard to pass up... Ben Patrick would be a great pick in the 3rd round, but i bet people (in the forum mock) will reach on him given the publicity he's gotten from Scott...

NYmoney
02-05-2007, 01:30 PM

I really hope you're still here when that happens. I can't count how many times somebody told me that something would or would not happen and then were proven dead wrong. Do some research on the team you're supposedly a fan of.

Screw you for implying I'm not a fan of the Bears. I'm pretty sure that anyone who has ever seen me watching Lovie and the boys play would have to disagree. get out of here with that "if you don't agree with me, you're not a fan" crap

VoteLynnSwan
02-05-2007, 01:31 PM
also... another TE option in the 3rd or 4th round would be Martrez Milner... he's got all the tools and could take a couple years to develop as the 2nd TE behind Desmond... come in on passing downs because he'd likely need work on his blocking.

Hurricane Ditka
02-05-2007, 01:33 PM

Meachem, Rice, or Bowe are interesting options in the 1st, but I'm not sold on any of them. I would prefer to wait a year to see how the recievers play next year.I like Meachem and Rice. Rice is an interesting prospect, I think he's got the chance to something none of our current receivers are.

Smokey Joe
02-05-2007, 01:34 PM
I personally like Joe Newton in the 3rd or 4th as he is similar to Dez Clark but he is a great redzone target and will be/is a better reciver then Clark.

NYmoney
02-05-2007, 01:35 PM

Meachem, Rice, or Bowe are interesting options in the 1st, but I'm not sold on any of them. I would prefer to wait a year to see how the recievers play next year.I like Meachem and Rice. Rice is an interesting prospect, I think he's got the chance to something none of our current receivers are.

Meachem looked wonderful in the college skills challenge.

Freddy G
02-05-2007, 01:37 PM
I don't know if you guys have been over this or not, but has an outside Bears fan i would just like to share my perspective.

Personally, i think Rex should at least get another year. You guys went to the super bowl with him, and people focus to much on the bad and not the good. After all, he has only started one full year. Most of difficulties are correctable, and the core players around him are relativaly young, meaning you have time for him to develope a little. I think the offense will only be more efficient with Benson and another weapon outside. The defense will be back next year, so in essance, over the next 2 years or so, everything will be in place for him to succeed.

I am just saying he at least deserves the chance.

NYmoney
02-05-2007, 01:58 PM
I don't know if you guys have been over this or not, but has an outside Bears fan i would just like to share my perspective.

Personally, i think Rex should at least get another year. You guys went to the super bowl with him, and people focus to much on the bad and not the good. After all, he has only started one full year. Most of difficulties are correctable, and the core players around him are relativaly young, meaning you have time for him to develope a little. I think the offense will only be more efficient with Benson and another weapon outside. The defense will be back next year, so in essance, over the next 2 years or so, everything will be in place for him to succeed.

I am just saying he at least deserves the chance.

In order for Rex to remain a starting QB in the league, he HAS to refine his decision making skills. Also, I will give him this laud: I believe he won us the Seattle game.

edgrenade
02-05-2007, 02:10 PM
What do you guys think about getting Stanton in the 2nd?

Hurricane Ditka
02-05-2007, 02:16 PM
What do you guys think about getting Stanton in the 2nd?I'd like it just about as much as I'd like getting shat on for Christmas.

Hurricane Ditka
02-05-2007, 02:27 PM
Cursed? Because Walter Payton never got into the end-zone in Super Bowl XX, we were cursed to watch Peyton Manning crush our hopes and dreams in Super Bowl XLI.

NYmoney
02-05-2007, 02:29 PM
Cursed? Because Walter Payton never got into the end-zone in Super Bowl XX, we were cursed to watch Peyton Manning crush our hopes and dreams in Super Bowl XLI.

That would make Pe(a)yton cursed, not the Bears. Payton won. so did Peyton. no cursing here.

How much do you think Mike Brown and Tommie Harris missed being out there?

Geo
02-05-2007, 03:22 PM
I think that will be difficult to enact, in that a team would have to give up a 1st round pick and then additionally pony up a big contract to lock Briggs up long-term. Seems a lot to ask, although you never know.

Maybe a 2nd round pick is more likely, although I personally wouldn't pull the trigger on that if I'm the Bears. I'd franchise tag Briggs for 07, which would cost a pretty penny but I have the absolute assurance of a Pro Bowl-caliber year from Briggs - not just in production, but veteran leadership also, and that's important as the Bears continue to seriously contend for a Super Bowl Championship. And when Briggs leaves in free agency afterwards, I'll not only have had an additional year to find/groom his successor but I'll likely be awarded a 3rd/4th round compensatory pick as well. That's probably what I would do, at least (and that's with an unverified assumption that the Bears have a moderate amount of cap space available for next year).

Of course if the Bears and Briggs can come to terms on a long-term extension that both parties find acceptable, all the more power to them. But I have a sneaking suspicion that Briggs could find a deal on the open market that the Bears might not be willing to match.

Edit: Checking now, the 07 franchise tag for the LB position is currently estimated at 7.2 mil. Ouch. That's more than I anticipated it being.

VoteLynnSwan
02-05-2007, 03:52 PM

That would make Pe(a)yton cursed, not the Bears. Payton won. so did Peyton. no cursing here.

How much do you think Mike Brown and Tommie Harris missed being out there?

probably not as much as the rest of the team missed them being out there...

Smokey Joe
02-05-2007, 04:13 PM
I think that will be difficult to enact, in that a team would have to give up a 1st round pick and then additionally pony up a big contract to lock Briggs up long-term. Seems a lot to ask, although you never know.

Maybe a 2nd round pick is more likely, although I personally wouldn't pull the trigger on that if I'm the Bears. I'd franchise tag Briggs for 07, which would cost a pretty penny but I have the absolute assurance of a Pro Bowl-caliber year from Briggs - not just in production, but veteran leadership also, and that's important as the Bears continue to seriously contend for a Super Bowl Championship. And when Briggs leaves in free agency afterwards, I'll not only have had an additional year to find/groom his successor but I'll likely be awarded a 3rd/4th round compensatory pick as well. That's probably what I would do, at least (and that's with an unverified assumption that the Bears have a moderate amount of cap space available for next year).

Of course if the Bears and Briggs can come to terms on a long-term extension that both parties find acceptable, all the more power to them. But I have a sneaking suspicion that Briggs could find a deal on the open market that the Bears might not be willing to match.

Edit: Checking now, the 07 franchise tag for the LB position is currently estimated at 7.2 mil. Ouch. That's more than I anticipated it being.
If John Abraham and Deion Branch (his situation was a bit different though) could get a 1st round pick, I think Briggs might be able to get a 1st rounder also.

But I agree with your idea though. Franchise Briggs and that would give you another year to groom his successor (Jamar Williams), and when he leaves via free agency we will get the future compensation-3rd rounder most likely.

Windy
02-05-2007, 04:19 PM
Look at this guy. Moving up on Scott's board. OLB.

http://golobos.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/black_quincy00.html

Smokey Joe
02-05-2007, 04:28 PM
Look at this guy. Moving up on Scott's board. OLB.

http://golobos.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/black_quincy00.html
Hmmm. interesting. If he was available in the 4th, I wouldn't be opposed to it. He would probably add some good depth at MLB/SLB, plus he could play SS if really needed to. Damn, a 42 vertical? He is a physical beast as well.

Plus, he's from Chicago. A poor man's version of Brian Urlacher maybe? We could call him Black Urlacher.

detknowitall
02-05-2007, 04:32 PM

Thank you.

Shut the *********** up dude, seriously. Rex had no help in this game. His OL was piss poor, he had some dropped balls, and he was forced to make big plays in bad weather.

But hey, I guess if all you can do is bash a SB teams QB while you sit at home as a fan of a 2-14 team, then that's your business. But I wouldn't even think of coming into another teams thread and talk *********** to them, especially when they just got to the SB.

I'm just sick and tired of the immaturity, the classlessness, and the *********** that people are talking on this board when their teams are still sitting at home and bashing the Bears.

Look.... say all you want, I didnt make any insults against the Bears. I asked a legit question. Are the Bears at all interested in trading up to the #2 spot for a QB to replace Grossman???

Grossman did play bad. 2 INT's that he had no business throwing, and a fumbled snap from center, and another fumble that he recovered on 3rd down forcing a punt. 3-10 on 3rd down. 0-7 passing on 3rd down conversion. Grossman was bad. He's been inconsistent all year long.

I'm not bashing the Bears I'm bashing Grossman. The Bears I believe would be much better off with another QB.

Indy stacked the line for the run. If they were going to be beat Grossman was going to have to do it. And he doesnt have that ability in my opinion.

bearsfan_51
02-05-2007, 04:45 PM

Screw you for implying I'm not a fan of the Bears. I'm pretty sure that anyone who has ever seen me watching Lovie and the boys play would have to disagree. get out of here with that "if you don't agree with me, you're not a fan" crap
You're rooting for Grossman to have a bad year next year. You're not a fan.

bearsfan_51
02-05-2007, 04:46 PM

Thank you.

Look.... say all you want, I didnt make any insults against the Bears. I asked a legit question. Are the Bears at all interested in trading up to the #2 spot for a QB to replace Grossman???
If you actually think that's a legit question you don't know much about football. How in the hell could we trade up to #2?

It was a sarcastic jab and you know it. And a pretty pathetic one coming from a Lions fan.

Smokey Joe
02-05-2007, 04:51 PM

I actually would be glad if Rivera left. I like him as a DC but a change would be nice and Bob Babich is very deserving of a promotion, not to mention that he'll be a lifetime coordinator in the mold of Jim Johnson/Monte Kiffen and not be the distraction that Rivera is every year looking for a head coaching job.

Dave Toub, on the other hand, I hope they give as much money as he wants to stay away from Philly.
If Rivera did get signed by the Cowboys, would we get any type of compensation?

bearsfan_51
02-05-2007, 04:52 PM

No. Rivera as of now isn't even under contract with us anymore.

Smokey Joe
02-05-2007, 04:54 PM

No. Rivera as of now isn't even under contract with us anymore.
Wait, I don't understand. Is Rivera's contract up, or is that how Coordinators contracts work?

bearsfan_51
02-05-2007, 04:58 PM
His contract is up, but even if it wasn't we would be owned no compensation.

Smokey Joe
02-05-2007, 05:04 PM
His contract is up, but even if it wasn't we would be owned no compensation.
I see you always think about owning other posters.

NYmoney
02-05-2007, 05:13 PM
I hope Ronny boy stays.

Hurricane Ditka
02-05-2007, 05:24 PM
I hope Ronny boy stays. I think it's time for both Rons to go. Rivera's hype has built itself beyond his current station, he'll probably get Dallas's job. Our schedule next year looks pretty tough, this team will have to show it can bounce back, and prove it's worth. Lovie's merit as a head coach is how he'll be able to manage losing the Super Bowl and taking this team through a pretty difficult schedule.

NYmoney
02-05-2007, 05:25 PM
I hope Ronny boy stays. I think it's time for both Rons to go. Rivera's hype has built itself beyond his current station, he'll probably get Dallas's job. Our schedule next year looks pretty tough, this team will have to show it can bounce back, and prove it's worth. Lovie's merit as a head coach is how he'll be able to manage losing the Super Bowl and taking this team through a pretty difficult schedule.

good idea. let's throw the baby out with the bathwater. brilliant.

bearsfan_51
02-05-2007, 05:28 PM
No way we should change coordinators again if we plan on sticking with Rex. He's been through enough change as it is.

Windy
02-05-2007, 05:30 PM
Maybe if he has a bad year at NC State, John Shoop could come in and do some stuff. :)

Hurricane Ditka
02-05-2007, 05:31 PM

good idea. let's throw the baby out with the bathwater. brilliant.A. Throwing out perfectly good babies is ridiciolous, they make great sandwhichs and B. Rivera is no longer under contract with the Bears, meaning at this point it's more likely that some other team will overpay to have him be their head coach, cough Dallas cough and last but not least C. I've never been a fan of Ron Turner, I think he doesn't know how to establish an offensive identity, or how to properly execute a game-plan.

bearsfan_51
02-05-2007, 05:31 PM
Maybe if he has a bad year at NC State, John Shoop could come in and do some stuff. :)
It's actually North Carolina, and of course he's going to have a bad year.

He and Butch Davis might make the worst coaching duo in the history of football.

Windy
02-05-2007, 05:33 PM

He and Butch Davis might make the worst coaching duo in the history of football.

yea they actually live together on campus.

Hurricane Ditka
02-05-2007, 05:33 PM
No way we should change coordinators again if we plan on sticking with Rex. He's been through enough change as it is.Maybe it's time to look for an improvement over Wade Wilson, he hasn't been able to get through to our Qbs. A better Qb coach might be able to get through to Rex.

Hurricane Ditka
02-05-2007, 05:34 PM

yea they actually live together on campus.Do the Dolphins have a head coach yet?

Windy
02-05-2007, 05:37 PM

yea they actually live together on campus.Do the Dolphins have a head coach yet?

Cameron Cameron

Vince Lombardi
02-05-2007, 06:02 PM
I just saw a piece on the news where they were saying that all of the gear Reebok made that says "Bears: 2007 Super Bowl Champions" is given out for free in Africa. Just thought I'd throw that out there for any of ya'll who are interested in escaping reality. :P :wink:

Geo
02-05-2007, 06:05 PM
That's an excellent move by Reebok.

Hurricane Ditka
02-05-2007, 06:06 PM
That's an excellent move by Reebok.They do that every year.

bearsfan_51
02-05-2007, 06:07 PM
I just saw a piece on the news where they were saying that all of the gear Reebok made that says "Bears: 2007 Super Bowl Champions" is given out for free in Africa. Just thought I'd throw that out there for any of ya'll who are interested in escaping reality. :P :wink:
Don't be jealous cause we're the Superbowl champions of Africa.

We conquered a whole continent *****.

Smokey Joe
02-05-2007, 06:14 PM
I made this real quick...

Trade 1st for a 2rd and 3rd.

2a. Zach Miller, TE
Playmaking TE who will add another dimension to the team. Could be a situational TE while learning under Dez Clark. Could also play a H-Back type roll.

2b. John Wendling, S
Mike Brown's future replacement. Has incredible measureables and is a playmaker. Plus is very good versus the run.

3a. Doug Free, OT
Underrated OT who is some-what a local product (not from IL, but went to college here). Would learn behind Tait and Miller for a year or two.

3b. Quincy Black, LB
Added depth the LB crew.

4. Dallas Baker/Jacoby Jones, WR
WR for depth.

5. LeRoy Harris, OG/C
Backup for Kreutz, could also possibly play G.

6-7b. BPA
Self explanatory. Could also be used in trade(s)

Hurricane Ditka
02-05-2007, 06:31 PM
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/blog/wrightstuff.html

Everyone here should read that. I think that at this point we need to just keep building around Grossman. On the offensive line and the skill positions. The pieces are in place to make another run next year, with a returning and determined Tommie Harris, a healthy Mike Brown, the addition of Dvorchek and Williams to the defensive depth charts, with a maturing Rex Grossman, a new offensive lineman or two, another pass catching threat (TE or WR), and a full season of the two headed running attack, I'll admit that over the past day or so I drastically overreacted.

If Ruben Brown wishes not to return, I'm not comfortable with Terrance Metcalf at left guard. Our he's not athletic enough to pull as much as Ruben Brown did, and again we'd both of legitimate back-up centers playing guard.

Smokey Joe
02-05-2007, 07:04 PM

Everyone here should read that. I think that at this point we need to just keep building around Grossman. On the offensive line and the skill positions. The pieces are in place to make another run next year, with a returning and determined Tommie Harris, a healthy Mike Brown, the addition of Dvorchek and Williams to the defensive depth charts, with a maturing Rex Grossman, a new offensive lineman or two, another pass catching threat (TE or WR), and a full season of the two headed running attack, I'll admit that over the past day or so I drastically overreacted.

If Ruben Brown wishes not to return, I'm not comfortable with Terrance Metcalf at left guard. Our he's not athletic enough to pull as much as Ruben Brown did, and again we'd both of legitimate back-up centers playing guard.
Eric Steinbach will be a Bear. Bank on it.

VoteLynnSwan
02-05-2007, 07:06 PM
I made this real quick...

Trade 1st for a 2rd and 3rd.

2a. Zach Miller, TE
Playmaking TE who will add another dimension to the team. Could be a situational TE while learning under Dez Clark. Could also play a H-Back type roll.

2b. John Wendling, S
Mike Brown's future replacement. Has incredible measureables and is a playmaker. Plus is very good versus the run.

3a. Doug Free, OT
Underrated OT who is some-what a local product (not from IL, but went to college here). Would learn behind Tait and Miller for a year or two.

3b. Quincy Black, LB
Added depth the LB crew.

4. Dallas Baker/Jacoby Jones, WR
WR for depth.

5. LeRoy Harris, OG/C
Backup for Kreutz, could also possibly play G.

6-7b. BPA
Self explanatory. Could also be used in trade(s)

i like this draft... although i would look at a guy like Kyle Young in the 3rd or 4th and maybe Black in the 4th, WR in the 5th etc...

lets not forget that Kyle Young was widely considered one of the best seniors around prior to this season... i think with a little time and good coaching he can get back to that level of play.

RexGrossmans-cheesecake
02-05-2007, 07:18 PM

Maybe Sidney Rice??????

Side note: My friend who went to the superbowl saw some guy selling out Bears Superbowl Championship stuff and bought it...... After the game

Hurricane Ditka
02-05-2007, 07:29 PM

Eric Steinbach will be a Bear. Bank on it.Not happening, the Bears will have to overpay through the roof, if Steinbach wants to come cheap I'll welcome him, but I still think the best solution is to build a younger offensive line through the draft.

pellepelle_10
02-05-2007, 07:34 PM

Eric Steinbach will be a Bear. Bank on it.

We can only hope...but not at the expense of Ruben hopefully.

I'm crossing fingers for Meachem but as this draft comes closer the reality of us getting him is like getting Vernon Davis last season. (nobody really thought he'd be a top 5 until more people heard about his insane workouts and he blew up in the combine).

pellepelle_10
02-05-2007, 07:34 PM
Again I'll be back when Chicago doesn't draft an O-Lineman with the first pick. I just don't see it happening. With the 2nd or 3rd pick I can see but I think it is just not happening with the 1st.

toonsterwu
02-05-2007, 07:36 PM
There's no way I would pay the money for an Eric Steinbach. Too costly, when we could get a very good guard in the 2nd round. With Miller/Tait set for OT barring a surprise, getting someone with left tackle potential and starting them at guard is the ideal scenario.

I do think that, depending on what happens and how the board shakes out, that James Marten is the type of guy that might interest Angelo.
On a side note, I wouldn't mind seeing us pursue a DE mid-day 2. Depends on the board, obviously, but if Mark Anderson has another good year, it'll be hard to see Alex Brown and Adewale finishing out their contracts. Getting someone in to groom ... if the value is good ... in day 2 ... wouldn't be bad.

pellepelle_10
02-05-2007, 07:42 PM
There's no way I would pay the money for an Eric Steinbach. Too costly, when we could get a very good guard in the 2nd round. With Miller/Tait set for OT barring a surprise, getting someone with left tackle potential and starting them at guard is the ideal scenario.

I do think that, depending on what happens and how the board shakes out, that James Marten is the type of guy that might interest Angelo.
On a side note, I wouldn't mind seeing us pursue a DE mid-day 2. Depends on the board, obviously, but if Mark Anderson has another good year, it'll be hard to see Alex Brown and Adewale finishing out their contracts. Getting someone in to groom ... if the value is good ... in day 2 ... wouldn't be bad.

Chicago rarely put in Idonije since Anderson became such a threat. I'd like to see us take care of the LB depth. Willis would be ideal but I honestly don't see him slipping that far at all. He's probably going to be a top 15 player. I'm still not impressed with Daniel Mannings performance this year but he's a rookie. I'd like to see Brown play a full season but we all know its a huge gamble. I'd honestly like to see Griffin, or Merriweather come aboard to shore up the secondary.

There are some quality later round receivers so it may not be necessary to make a splash in the 1st unless a Meachem or Bowe by some miracle drop to us.

toonsterwu
02-05-2007, 07:58 PM
I wouldn't take LB in round 1, unless it is far and away the best value. 3 main reasons:

1. From a relative perspective, the weakside linebacker spot isn't that difficult to pick up.

2. I was a huge fan of Jamar WIlliams last year.

3. The value differentiation between a LB In the 1st and 2nd isn't by much.

If we bring back Brown, I'm just not sure I see us going safety as a first round consideration.

fondoffilm
02-05-2007, 08:15 PM
Question for 51. What makes you say that Babich would be a "lifetime coordinator?"

detknowitall
02-05-2007, 08:26 PM

Thank you.

If you actually think that's a legit question you don't know much about football. How in the hell could we trade up to #2?

It was a sarcastic jab and you know it. And a pretty pathetic one coming from a Lions fan.

Its a serious question. Think about it this way, from what I understand Briggs is about to hit FA. So franchise Briggs. Detroit needs a LB. If Rex isnt the answer then Chi-town needs a QB. Trade your first third and Briggs for the #2 overall pick. I'd say you'd get what you need and the Lions get what they need. Its a legit question. I'm just trying to get a feel for the value of Rex and if the Bears would look to acquire a QB in the draft on day one.

VoteLynnSwan
02-05-2007, 08:40 PM

Thank you.

Its a serious question. Think about it this way, from what I understand Briggs is about to hit FA. So franchise Briggs. Detroit needs a LB. If Rex isnt the answer then Chi-town needs a QB. Trade your first third and Briggs for the #2 overall pick. I'd say you'd get what you need and the Lions get what they need. Its a legit question. I'm just trying to get a feel for the value of Rex and if the Bears would look to acquire a QB in the draft on day one.

that trade is beyond ridiculous. We would likely have to package Briggs... our first rounder, and either a first or 2nd rounder next year for that deal to even come close to making sense for the Lions. Plus we don't need to develop a QB with a team that has a chance again next year to make some noise.

sweetness34
02-05-2007, 08:51 PM
Ok so how about Mike Brown? What do we do here? It's really too bad that he's had bad luck with injuries and I'd love him to come back, but what do you guys think?

Primetime21
02-05-2007, 08:54 PM
I think you draft someone, but you have to keep him around. He's too valuable to let go. And what would you get in return anyway? If he's healthy he adds a lot to the team. So why not? Maybe i'm wrong, but that's my opinion.

evershot
02-05-2007, 08:58 PM

Thank you.

No offense but dealing with a division rival just doesn't sound like a good idea. Besides if the bears were desperate enough to trade a first and third for a QB why not just go after Matt Shaub of the Falcons who is a restricted FA? If they did that they could still keep Briggs.

Bearsfan123
02-05-2007, 09:01 PM
I think you draft someone, but you have to keep him around. He's too valuable to let go. And what would you get in return anyway? If he's healthy he adds a lot to the team. So why not? Maybe i'm wrong, but that's my opinion.
i agree, we draft someone for him to groom. Michael Griffin if he falls, or John Wendling, Michael Johnson, Eric Weddle.

IBleedNavyandOrange
02-05-2007, 09:19 PM
I think that at this point we need to just keep building around Grossman. On the offensive line and the skill positions. The pieces are in place to make another run next year, with a returning and determined Tommie Harris, a healthy Mike Brown, the addition of Dvorchek and Williams to the defensive depth charts, with a maturing Rex Grossman, a new offensive lineman or two, another pass catching threat (TE or WR), and a full season of the two headed running attack, I'll admit that over the past day or so I drastically overreacted.

Good points, all. I know hope springs eternal, but let's face it: the Bears show every sign of being better next year. It'll be a harder schedule, so I think 13-3 / 12-4 is likely.

Oh, and if I had picked the Colts in the ChicagoSports.com pool, I would've won $2200.

But if the Bears had won (and I stayed with my Bears pick), I wouldn't have won anything.

I'm so conflicted.

Hurricane Ditka
02-05-2007, 09:36 PM
I think that at this point we need to just keep building around Grossman. On the offensive line and the skill positions. The pieces are in place to make another run next year, with a returning and determined Tommie Harris, a healthy Mike Brown, the addition of Dvorchek and Williams to the defensive depth charts, with a maturing Rex Grossman, a new offensive lineman or two, another pass catching threat (TE or WR), and a full season of the two headed running attack, I'll admit that over the past day or so I drastically overreacted.

Good points, all. I know hope springs eternal, but let's face it: the Bears show every sign of being better next year. It'll be a harder schedule, so I think 13-3 / 12-4 is likely.With the right pick ups in the draft and free agency, I think 11-5 is attainable, it all comes down to resiliency, Rex has shown it this season, and the team showed it for last year's loss to the Panthers with the season they had this year. The only Super Bowl loser to even make the playoffs the next year were the Seahawks. There are things going for the Bears and things going against them.

This offseason is key, this team is a few pieces away from putting together another Super Bowl, but making the Super Bowl once is hard, doing it again is nigh impossible. I think the key to our success next year is the offensive line. They've played well as unit for the most part of this season, but they're old, and it shows. I think you give Ruben a 1 year deal, at a good price and draft an offensive lineman Day 1 that has the athleticism to play left tackle, and the frame to slide inside at guard. Joe Staley anyone?

Another area of concern has to be the offensive skill positions. Assuming we're set at Quarterback and Tail Back that leaves us with receiver and tight end. Moose has lived up to his billing, Bradley has shown flashes but can never stay healthy, Davis is streaky but made some important catches this season, on the brighter side, if Berrian works with Rusty Jones and puts on some muscle he can be a really good receiver. A guy like Robert Meachem or Sidney Rice could do wonders for this group. The only pass-catching threat in our tight end and fullback core is Des Clark, with McKie occasionly catching a couple out of the flat. I gues you could say I've jumped on the Ben Patrick bandwagon here, but I think another pass-cather out of this group would help Rex out.

bearsfan_51
02-05-2007, 09:49 PM
Again I'll be back when Chicago doesn't draft an O-Lineman with the first pick. I just don't see it happening. With the 2nd or 3rd pick I can see but I think it is just not happening with the 1st.Stick around pele. We could always use more soccer legends around here.

sweetness34
02-05-2007, 09:53 PM
Again I'll be back when Chicago doesn't draft an O-Lineman with the first pick. I just don't see it happening. With the 2nd or 3rd pick I can see but I think it is just not happening with the 1st.Stick around pele. We could always use more soccer legends around here.

I'm a soccer legend in my own right, 4 years of varsity baby! :P :D

And I'll hopefully be playing next season for Heartland Community College. Yea I'm kind of a big deal. :lol: :wink:

bearsfan_51
02-05-2007, 09:53 PM
Question for 51. What makes you say that Babich would be a "lifetime coordinator?"
Some of it is a feeling. Part of it is the fact that he turned down offers from Buffalo last year to be their DC and Vikings this year to interview for the DC spot (in fact to go so far as to say that he "didn't give a damn about the Vikings"). He's a bit older, and like Monte and Jim Johnson, his aspirations to be a head coach aren't that high anymore (he was the HC at N.Dakota St for a few years I believe). Usually you don't turn down promotions and piss off other NFL teams if you're trying to climb the coaching ladder in the NFL.

Ron Rivera, in contrast, was talking during Superbowl week about different aspects of the Cowboys personel and what a great opportunity that would be. I really like Ron a lot, I think he'll be a great coach, but I'd rather have a coordinator that isn't constantly looking to leave.

Hurricane Ditka
02-05-2007, 09:54 PM
And VLS, I don't think we'll be taking Kyle Young anytime before the 6th or 7th, he didn't even get a combine invitation.

bearsfan_51
02-05-2007, 09:58 PM

Alex Brown's contract really is quite palatable. Even as a backup it's very reasonable.

O-Gun on the other hand.....

It's interesting (I guess) that Lovie specifically said that Brown's position would be up for grabs.

Hurricane Ditka
02-05-2007, 09:59 PM
Sometimes I feel like people have just stopped reading my posts all together.

sweetness34
02-05-2007, 10:00 PM

Alex Brown's contract really is quite palatable. Even as a backup it's very reasonable.

O-Gun on the other hand.....

It's interesting (I guess) that Lovie specifically said that Brown's position would be up for grabs.

Good. I like AB but I want to see some competition. Although I do think that Wale' position should be up for grabs over AB's, but that's me.

Mark Anderson turned some heads this season, and I think he somewhat deserves a chance to show what he can do in competition for a starting spot.

Smokey Joe
02-05-2007, 10:06 PM
Ogun sucked this year, well after his injury anyway. He had a good game vs. NO and that was all. And he is getting paid a lot. And Brown didn't do that good all together this season either. Brown just disappears a ton, but then again that is why he isn't getting paid like an all-pro. Right now if I had to choice, I would keep Brown over Ogun just by their contract sizes.

toonsterwu
02-05-2007, 10:08 PM
Ok so how about Mike Brown? What do we do here? It's really too bad that he's had bad luck with injuries and I'd love him to come back, but what do you guys think?

Honestly ... I would open the competition up. And I think the competition will be more open than in recent past. We'll have to see how things work out, but early indications point to Brown being back.