PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Bears Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15

Smokey Joe
02-05-2007, 10:09 PM
Ok so how about Mike Brown? What do we do here? It's really too bad that he's had bad luck with injuries and I'd love him to come back, but what do you guys think?

Honestly ... I would open the competition up. And I think the competition will be more open than in recent past. We'll have to see how things work out, but early indications point to Brown being back.
Is there any chance he could be resigned to a more cap friendly contract?

Smokey Joe
02-05-2007, 10:12 PM
If Turner gets the Dallas job, I think Rivera will be gone. He will get paid a ton and will also get the position of Assistant Head Coach to go along with DC. And I wouldn't blame him for leaving for Dallas, that would be an incredible offer. Plus, he could probably turn Dallas D into a top 5 within a year or two.

VoteLynnSwan
02-05-2007, 10:12 PM
And VLS, I don't think we'll be taking Kyle Young anytime before the 6th or 7th, he didn't even get a combine invitation.

hmmm, that really strange... that's a momentus drop, especially for an offensive lineman... and yea i know how you feel about it seeming like no one reads your posts...

toonsterwu
02-05-2007, 10:15 PM
Ok so how about Mike Brown? What do we do here? It's really too bad that he's had bad luck with injuries and I'd love him to come back, but what do you guys think?

Honestly ... I would open the competition up. And I think the competition will be more open than in recent past. We'll have to see how things work out, but early indications point to Brown being back.

Well ... I think for him to be back, he has to be willing to restructure a bit. He can earn the money back on incentives, but for him to be back, I'm almost certain that he'll have to restructure a bit. If Brown is back ... I can't see us going safety early. Maybe someone like Maine's Daren Stone in day 2.

toonsterwu
02-05-2007, 10:18 PM
If Turner gets the Dallas job, I think Rivera will be gone. He will get paid a ton and will also get the position of Assistant Head Coach to go along with DC. And I wouldn't blame him for leaving for Dallas, that would be an incredible offer. Plus, he could probably turn Dallas D into a top 5 within a year or two.

I really wonder if Ron Rivera sticks with the cover 2 in Dallas. One, that wasn't his background, as he's usualyl a more aggressive type, which was seen somewhat this year. Two, the personnel isn't an ideal match.

But I think it's the right career move for Rivera. He'll never get the credit here.

Smokey Joe
02-05-2007, 10:19 PM

Well ... I think for him to be back, he has to be willing to restructure a bit. He can earn the money back on incentives, but for him to be back, I'm almost certain that he'll have to restructure a bit. If Brown is back ... I can't see us going safety early. Maybe someone like Maine's Daren Stone in day 2.
I think you have to go safety early no matter what. Mike Brown hasn't shown that he can stay healthy, and who knows how well he can preform now with all of these injuries. There needs to be a safety net, and Chris Harris and Todd Johnson aren't that great of options.

sweetness34
02-05-2007, 10:19 PM

I really wonder if Ron Rivera sticks with the cover 2 in Dallas. One, that wasn't his background, as he's usualyl a more aggressive type, which was seen somewhat this year. Two, the personnel isn't an ideal match.

But I think it's the right career move for Rivera. He'll never get the credit here.

I'd actually like a more agressive style of the Cover 2. When we blitzed Manning he didn't do well, but when we sat back he ate us up underneath.

toonsterwu
02-05-2007, 10:21 PM
I think that'll depend on who stays and who goes. If Briggs goes, adding a LB trumps adding a safety as a need. OL should be ahead of safety.

toonsterwu
02-05-2007, 10:21 PM
Just to be clear, I'm not defending Rivera either. Wasn't a big fan of the gameplan, offensively and defensively.

bearsfan_51
02-05-2007, 10:22 PM
I still think we shouldn't sleep on DT as a first day possibility.

We have to remember who we're dealing with here, Angelo is not a complicated person once you study and learn his tendancies.

toonsterwu
02-05-2007, 10:48 PM
I agree. If Demarcus Tyler is there at 31 ... I think he could be a consideration, and current indications point to him being there.

Windy
02-05-2007, 11:57 PM
i'm the raiders co-gm folks.

fondoffilm
02-06-2007, 12:54 AM
Question for 51. What makes you say that Babich would be a "lifetime coordinator?"
Some of it is a feeling. Part of it is the fact that he turned down offers from Buffalo last year to be their DC and Vikings this year to interview for the DC spot (in fact to go so far as to say that he "didn't give a damn about the Vikings"). He's a bit older, and like Monte and Jim Johnson, his aspirations to be a head coach aren't that high anymore (he was the HC at N.Dakota St for a few years I believe). Usually you don't turn down promotions and piss off other NFL teams if you're trying to climb the coaching ladder in the NFL.

Ron Rivera, in contrast, was talking during Superbowl week about different aspects of the Cowboys personel and what a great opportunity that would be. I really like Ron a lot, I think he'll be a great coach, but I'd rather have a coordinator that isn't constantly looking to leave.

Thank you kindly.

As a Vikings fan, it's hard to stomach Babich's comment, but hey, I can see where he's coming from.

bearsfan_51
02-06-2007, 01:29 AM
I agree. If Demarcus Tyler is there at 31 ... I think he could be a consideration, and current indications point to him being there.
I like Tyler at 31 a lot.

Tribune reports that the discussions between the Bears and Toub are all but dead and that it looks more than likely that Lovie won't work out a deal before next season starts.

Who knows how accurate the later is, but the former pisses me off. If we're a team that supposedly takes special teams so seriously we need to pay our special teams coach accordingly. I don't like the cheap attitude that the Bears have towards the coaching staff. The Bears are one of the top 10 most profitable franchises. I realize the McCaskey family doesn't have the backup revenue that an Arthur Blank does, but I'm sure they can at least pay market value.

TitleTown088
02-06-2007, 01:35 AM
BF51, could you please stop calling us packer homers because micheal Irvin just picked us as his surprise superbowl team next year. If the almighty Irv says it will happen, it will. So just lay off ok? thank you.

bearsfan_51
02-06-2007, 01:36 AM
BF51, could you please stop calling us packer homers because micheal Irvin just picked us as his surprise superbowl team next year. If the almighty Irv says it will happen, it will. So just lay off ok? thank you.
It was for suprise playoff teams.

He even said, and I quote "they could make the playoffs", as in, it's possibly. Nobody, not even Michael Irvin, is stoopid enough to say the Packers can win the Superbowl.

toonsterwu
02-06-2007, 01:41 AM
Random mock assuming no trades (that is, it's not what I'm currently mocking), but I could see something like

1. Demarcus Tyler
2. John Wendling
3. Doug Free
4. Juwan Simpson
5. Jeff Rowe
6. Jacob Ford
7. Justin Vincent

Obviously, numerous iterations could be done.

toonsterwu
02-06-2007, 01:44 AM
I'm not completely sold that Babich is a career coordinator type, but it does seem less likely that he'll be the more aggressive type in moving up. He's not that old yet ... what, mid-late 40's. If he latches on and we do great things in the next few years, he could fall into the Romeo Crennel category of getting late career consideration for a head gig.

bearsfan_51
02-06-2007, 01:45 AM
I'm not completely sold that Babich is a career coordinator type, but it does seem less likely that he'll be the more aggressive type in moving up. He's not that old yet ... what, mid-late 40's. If he latches on and we do great things in the next few years, he could fall into the Romeo Crennel category of getting late career consideration for a head gig.
Maybe he just looks older cause he's so ugly. :lol:

toonsterwu
02-06-2007, 01:50 AM
Hmm ... odd I tried to look real quickly to find his age, using the usual simple sources (Bears site and wikipedia), and there's nothing specific, unless I skipped through it. Does say he finished college in the early 80's, so probably, say, somewhere from 45-47.

pellepelle_10
02-06-2007, 03:48 AM

I think he's definatelly worth bringing back but I'm still very skeptical about the rest of our safety core. Even with Brown back I'd like to see another addition to the group. Todd Johnson can move on. Daniel Manning needs to hold the clipboard and learn a little more while Harris isn't bad (I'd feel a little more confident with a Griffin, Landry, or Nelson).

pellepelle_10
02-06-2007, 03:57 AM
I think that at this point we need to just keep building around Grossman. On the offensive line and the skill positions. The pieces are in place to make another run next year, with a returning and determined Tommie Harris, a healthy Mike Brown, the addition of Dvorchek and Williams to the defensive depth charts, with a maturing Rex Grossman, a new offensive lineman or two, another pass catching threat (TE or WR), and a full season of the two headed running attack, I'll admit that over the past day or so I drastically overreacted.

Good points, all. I know hope springs eternal, but let's face it: the Bears show every sign of being better next year. It'll be a harder schedule, so I think 13-3 / 12-4 is likely.With the right pick ups in the draft and free agency, I think 11-5 is attainable, it all comes down to resiliency, Rex has shown it this season, and the team showed it for last year's loss to the Panthers with the season they had this year. The only Super Bowl loser to even make the playoffs the next year were the Seahawks. There are things going for the Bears and things going against them.

This offseason is key, this team is a few pieces away from putting together another Super Bowl, but making the Super Bowl once is hard, doing it again is nigh impossible. I think the key to our success next year is the offensive line. They've played well as unit for the most part of this season, but they're old, and it shows. I think you give Ruben a 1 year deal, at a good price and draft an offensive lineman Day 1 that has the athleticism to play left tackle, and the frame to slide inside at guard. Joe Staley anyone?

Another area of concern has to be the offensive skill positions. Assuming we're set at Quarterback and Tail Back that leaves us with receiver and tight end. Moose has lived up to his billing, Bradley has shown flashes but can never stay healthy, Davis is streaky but made some important catches this season, on the brighter side, if Berrian works with Rusty Jones and puts on some muscle he can be a really good receiver. A guy like Robert Meachem or Sidney Rice could do wonders for this group. The only pass-catching threat in our tight end and fullback core is Des Clark, with McKie occasionly catching a couple out of the flat. I gues you could say I've jumped on the Ben Patrick bandwagon here, but I think another pass-cather out of this group would help Rex out.

I couldn't agree more. I think Meachem is going to be a gem if he drops which would be crazy. To me there are some good WR's to get out of this draft and we don't necessarilly have to draft one in the first round. I think the addition of a TE and WR would greatly improve our offense. Steve Smith would be a good addition in the 2nd or 3rd round as would Myles from West Virginia or even Robert Meachem who Scott Wright considered one of the top route runners in the draft. I think if anything we're in need of a good possession receiver. We have our number of burners on the team (Berrian and Bradley if he can stay healthy).

For anyone that has watched Free Agency...mr Bobby Engram is dubbed a FA this year. I would love to have him back at an affordable price to catch balls for us in the slot.

(on another note does anybody know if TE- John Carlson from Notre Dame is coming out this year? ...I've heard ZERO reports on the guy and he can flat out play. If so he could be a solid pick for day 2).

pellepelle_10
02-06-2007, 03:59 AM
Again I'll be back when Chicago doesn't draft an O-Lineman with the first pick. I just don't see it happening. With the 2nd or 3rd pick I can see but I think it is just not happening with the 1st.Stick around pele. We could always use more soccer legends around here.

haha..I always keep an eye on the boards. I'm a faithful member to another board so I try my best to multitask. I will say you guys keep the board alive and well. :)

pellepelle_10
02-06-2007, 04:07 AM
Question for 51. What makes you say that Babich would be a "lifetime coordinator?"
Some of it is a feeling. Part of it is the fact that he turned down offers from Buffalo last year to be their DC and Vikings this year to interview for the DC spot (in fact to go so far as to say that he "didn't give a damn about the Vikings"). He's a bit older, and like Monte and Jim Johnson, his aspirations to be a head coach aren't that high anymore (he was the HC at N.Dakota St for a few years I believe). Usually you don't turn down promotions and piss off other NFL teams if you're trying to climb the coaching ladder in the NFL.

Ron Rivera, in contrast, was talking during Superbowl week about different aspects of the Cowboys personel and what a great opportunity that would be. I really like Ron a lot, I think he'll be a great coach, but I'd rather have a coordinator that isn't constantly looking to leave.

Just an inside note for you bearsfan_51. A longtime board member and friend I know went to the coaching camp in Chicago this off-season learned a lot from our staff. One thing he mentioned is the fire Babich had towards the players and teaching where Rivera seemed to be the arrogant prick. Not to disrespect Rivera but the way he's failed to change things defensively (last year when we got roasted by Steve Smith, and this game where he failed to adjust to Peyton dink/dunking us to death *similar to what the Pats did to us also* these characteristics are coming to the light). I hate to be the devils advocate on this board but from all the news I've heard from individuals that had the opportunity to watch both of these guys coach in person Babich seemed to be the most passionate. This is just what I've heard so take what you want from it.

Remember this is the guy who in the middle of playoffs was spending time interviewing with other teams (Arizona, Atlanta, and Miami) when he could have been diverting his attention towards breaking down offenses and assisting players. He could have waited until the end of the season similar to what Romeo Crennel did with NE the year he got selected for the Browns job. Instead he spends valuable playoff time interviewing with teams for a HC job. Way to prioritize Rivera.

pellepelle_10
02-06-2007, 04:15 AM

I think you have to go safety early no matter what. Mike Brown hasn't shown that he can stay healthy, and who knows how well he can preform now with all of these injuries. There needs to be a safety net, and Chris Harris and Todd Johnson aren't that great of options.

I couldn't agree more Smokey which is why I have Safety as a priority in this draft. I'd put it over OLB with the talent of this position this year. I'd have to put WR in that same category ONLY if a Bowe, or Meachem drop.

Hutch13
02-06-2007, 05:20 AM
Hey Guys, I'm a fan of another team. Sorry about the SB loss, but if you get the QB thing fixed and get Brown and Harris healthy you'll be back in the playoffs again next year(your divisional opponents still have some catching up to do). One question I've been wanting to ask. How do you grade Cedric Benson so far? I think he is a disappiontment so far maybe a C+ for a #4 overall pick. I'm not saying he is terrible, but he just played in the SB and noone was worried about him before the game. (I know he got hurt early) What do you guys think of Peterson?

Smokey Joe
02-06-2007, 06:19 AM
i'm the raiders co-gm folks.
bailing out on us so quick?

toonsterwu
02-06-2007, 08:37 AM
Can't believe that I am coming somewhat to Rivera's defense, as I'm not a fan of his at all. But he did make some adjustments last year, dropping into 3 deep looks in an attempt to neutralize Steve Smith as the game went on. PLayers just didn't make plays, but Rivera did make gameplan adjustments. Now, that said, wasn't a big fan of how he played it in the Colts game ... but it did seem like he did make the half time adjustments. Fire or no fire, I do give credit to Rivera for that. He doesn't sit on his feet most of the time ... and does make in game adjustments. At the end of the day, players still have to make plays.

DOn't get me wrong, this isn't a defense of Ron Rivera, as I'm not that big a fan. Keep in mind that, this past season, as the season progressed, he did mix in different looks. I do wonder, if he moves to Dallas as most anticipate, if we'll see a different Ron Rivera. That said, I'm totally fine to see Bob Babich as DC next year.

toonsterwu
02-06-2007, 08:39 AM
Hey Guys, I'm a fan of another team. Sorry about the SB loss, but if you get the QB thing fixed and get Brown and Harris healthy you'll be back in the playoffs again next year(your divisional opponents still have some catching up to do). One question I've been wanting to ask. How do you grade Cedric Benson so far? I think he is a disappiontment so far maybe a C+ for a #4 overall pick. I'm not saying he is terrible, but he just played in the SB and noone was worried about him before the game. (I know he got hurt early) What do you guys think of Peterson?

As for Benson, I was never a big fan of his so I haven't been disappointed persay.

In general, yes, I think he's been a disappointment to most. That said, to be fair, there were flashes down the stretch run of this year, when Thomas was getting rested, where it seemed like Cedric was close to perhaps being a solid lead back.

toonsterwu
02-06-2007, 08:42 AM

I couldn't agree more Smokey which is why I have Safety as a priority in this draft. I'd put it over OLB with the talent of this position this year. I'd have to put WR in that same category ONLY if a Bowe, or Meachem drop.

Here's my only problem with going safety early. We aren't getting Nelson/Landry ... and I'm not as sold on the rest of the safety class being as impactful as it seems to get suggested. I am not sold on Griffin being

a) of value at 31
b) the impact type of player that we need

To put it in short, I'm not sure Griffin is all that much better than Chris Harris, if at all. The guy best suited for our needs might be John Wendling, but it's also quesitonable if he's of value at the end of round 2.

I can't see us taking a WR early. With Berrian/Bradley, I just can't see it. Not that I particularly love either one (I do like Berrian, but I don't think he gets utilized correctly under Ron Turner). That said, I doubt Bowe/Meachem get near 31 either.

toonsterwu
02-06-2007, 08:44 AM
Btw, critiquing Ron Rivera for interviewing isn't really fair. That's how the system has worked in recent years, and plenty of playoff coordinators have done as such. Last year, Grimm/Whisenhunt were both interviewing, I'm fairly certain. I don't think the couple of interview several weeks ago impacted his gameplan for the SB, especially since there was the 2 week window.

bigbluedefense
02-06-2007, 09:02 AM
Toonster, who's better Landry or Nelson?

And what about Merriweather or Griffin?

What about Rouse? Would he be a good fit for Chicago? I think he has the muscle to hold up, and would be a good runstuffer. I question his coverage, but hey, if Lynch worked, why not Rouse?

NYmoney
02-06-2007, 11:21 AM
John Clayton said today on Mike and Mike that he would be shocked if the Bears sign Rex Grossman to a contract extension during this off-season.

sweetness34
02-06-2007, 12:06 PM
John Clayton said today on Mike and Mike that he would be shocked if the Bears sign Rex Grossman to a contract extension during this off-season.

And I can understand that. Before we give him an extension I think management wants to see if he is the answer next season. Meaning it's bascially you play well, you're the QB, but if you don't, we're looking elsewhere.

Rex is my favorite player so I want him to stay. But he needs more consistency next season. And if he doesn't do that, he's gone IMO. He's got the tools, but his mental game needs some work.

John Clayton is God in a suit when it comes to football so I'll believe him. I mean he did pick all three of our playoffs games right. Chicago, Chicago, and Indy.

TitleTown088
02-06-2007, 01:39 PM

He even said, and I quote "they could make the playoffs", as in, it's possibly. Nobody, not even Michael Irvin, is stoopid enough to say the Packers can win the Superbowl.

You underestimate micheal Irvin.

NYmoney
02-06-2007, 02:37 PM

Ha. I don't take much consideration from a man whose best friend is a crackpipe.

pellepelle_10
02-06-2007, 03:08 PM

This is the same guy who got into a debate with Mike Ditka that the Dallas Cowboys would go all the way over Chicago.

Hurricane Ditka
02-06-2007, 03:41 PM
Alright, in the Forum Off Season, Free Agent Decisions I say that we put in an offer for Brown, 1 year sort of thing.

Hurricane Ditka
02-06-2007, 04:03 PM
Is RMJ really an UFA? I thought we inked him to a 3 year 21 mil deal?

bearfan
02-06-2007, 04:11 PM

we hvae him.

And talking about saftey, what about this JD Nelson out of Oregon?

Hurricane Ditka
02-06-2007, 04:13 PM

we hvae him.

And talking about saftey, what about this JD Nelson out of Oregon?I like Sabby Piscatelli.

pellepelle_10
02-06-2007, 04:48 PM

And I can understand that. Before we give him an extension I think management wants to see if he is the answer next season. Meaning it's bascially you play well, you're the QB, but if you don't, we're looking elsewhere.

Rex is my favorite player so I want him to stay. But he needs more consistency next season. And if he doesn't do that, he's gone IMO. He's got the tools, but his mental game needs some work.

John Clayton is God in a suit when it comes to football so I'll believe him. I mean he did pick all three of our playoffs games right. Chicago, Chicago, and Indy.

I think this is a GREAT idea. Let him prove his worth. If he does well then pay him accordingly..if he does the same as this season then don't give him ****.

pellepelle_10
02-06-2007, 04:50 PM
Here's some news for you guys.

Bears | Want To Re-Sign R. Brown
Tue, 6 Feb 2007 06:17:43 -0800

John Mullin, of the Chicago Tribune, reports the Chicago Bears would like to re-sign OG Ruben Brown, who is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this year. Brown has repeatedly expressed his desire to return to the club next season.

Bears | Expected To Target Steinbach
Tue, 6 Feb 2007 06:16:56 -0800

Updating a previous report, John Mullin, of the Chicago Tribune, reports the Chicago Bears are expected to make a run at free agent OG Eric Steinbach (Bengals) once the free-agent market opens in early March.

Hurricane Ditka
02-06-2007, 05:47 PM

John Mullin, of the Chicago Tribune, reports the Chicago Bears would like to re-sign OG Ruben Brown, who is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this year. Brown has repeatedly expressed his desire to return to the club next season.

Updating a previous report, John Mullin, of the Chicago Tribune, reports the Chicago Bears are expected to make a run at free agent OG Eric Steinbach (Bengals) once the free-agent market opens in early March.If Brown is resigned I doubt we end up being serious contenders for Steinbach, even with Brown resigned we're still pretty old, and it doesn't make John Tait and Fred Miller any younger, it also doesn't make Tait a better at left tackle. I think tackle is a definite area of need, and the value at 31 should be there with Sears, Staley and Ugoh.

Smokey Joe
02-06-2007, 06:51 PM

Updating a previous report, John Mullin, of the Chicago Tribune, reports the Chicago Bears are expected to make a run at free agent OG Eric Steinbach (Bengals) once the free-agent market opens in early March.If Brown is resigned I doubt we end up being serious contenders for Steinbach, even with Brown resigned we're still pretty old, and it doesn't make John Tait and Fred Miller any younger, it also doesn't make Tait a better at left tackle. I think tackle is a definite area of need, and the value at 31 should be there with Sears, Staley and Ugoh.
I think the Bears will give Steinbach a pretty good sized contract offer, but he will probably thurn that one down for a bigger one some other team offered him.

That'd be sick though, with Steinbach and Brown as the starting guards. That would also open up trade possibilities involving Metcalf.

Smokey Joe
02-06-2007, 06:52 PM

we hvae him.

And talking about saftey, what about this JD Nelson out of Oregon?I like Sabby Piscatelli.
John Wendling > Sabby Piscatelli

Smokey Joe
02-06-2007, 06:56 PM
Is this how it goes? ...

Head GM: bearsfan51
Assistant GM: sweetness34
Head Coach: Hurricane Ditka
Head Scout: Smokey Joe
Scout: VoteLynnSwann

???

Hurricane Ditka
02-06-2007, 06:58 PM

I think the Bears will give Steinbach a pretty good sized contract offer, but he will probably thurn that one down for a bigger one some other team offered him.

That'd be sick though, with Steinbach and Brown as the starting guards. That would also open up trade possibilities involving Metcalf.Metcalf isn't going to be traded, he and Garza just inked pretty fat multi-year contracts last year. Steinbach is going to be over-paid do to the stagflation of the free agent market, and I'd rather the Bears put that money into the guys on the team that deserve extensions.

Hurricane Ditka
02-06-2007, 06:59 PM
Is this how it goes? ...

Head GM: bearsfan51
Assistant GM: sweetness34
Head Coach: Hurricane Ditka
Head Scout: Smokey Joe
Scout: VoteLynnSwann

???Losing the Windster is a huge blow, you can be the offensive scout, with VLS being the defensive scout.

Man_Of_Steel
02-06-2007, 07:02 PM
I too am interested as to what you guys think about Benson so far. His attitude isnt the best and he really has never had a breakout game.

pellepelle_10
02-06-2007, 07:13 PM

That'd be sick though, with Steinbach and Brown as the starting guards. That would also open up trade possibilities involving Metcalf.

There are 2 types of players..players who want to pad their pockets and players that want to win rings. If Steinbach is smart he'll take a solid salary and come to Chicago for his change to start as soon as our Lineman are long gone or somebodies performance falls off during training camp next season. It's not always about who pays most. Some players look at the bigger picture.

pellepelle_10
02-06-2007, 07:13 PM

I agree Smokey. It would be sweet.

Ditka..I understand your concern for resiging players but if we can acquire him for a reasonable price I see no reason why we don't do this. Face it..this team hasn't been successful with draftees turning out. Many people don't want to face it but it is what it is. People say things change and I agree. I just don't see the dire need in blowing the 1st round pick on a player that's just going to ride the pine and learn until next year. To me there are more important positions that could pose more immediate impacts for our team. Hunter Hillenmeyer needs to know his role as backup. I've been saying this guy is a bandaid all along. His performance in the Superbowl is just more proof of it. While our db's are solid in Vasher and Tillman..we still don't have legit depth along with Safety. Brown has consistently gone down and we've hurt at Safety everytime he went down. We need someone to step up here and Daniel Manning has a ton to learn. As talented as our receiving core is nobody has stepped up as a consistent threat or a main target. There is a lot of talent in this draft and if we could get our hands on a gem I say pull the trigger.

O-Line can wait until the 3rd round. We can plug young guys in Free Agency. Angelo has done very well at this and I see no reason why we don't get experienced lineman instead of young rookies.

toonsterwu
02-06-2007, 07:35 PM
The only reason I would suggest OL early is simple. We need LT potential, and if there is one of value (for example, Joe Staley) it has to be considered. THe OL was lauded this year, for some odd reason. It was a solid unit, but it could certainly use an upgrade in pass protection, as Tait received mroe than enough help to cover for his flaws/deficiencies.

Now, granted, Tait/Miller are likely to remain. But if there's LT potential at our pick, I think it has to be considered. Miller's likely gone after next year, and in the near future, Tait will probably move back to RT. The beneift of adding someone like Joe Staley would be to allow them to start at guard next year if they are ready and eventually move them out.

That said, we could certainly wait to find LT potential. But, assuming we do good again next year, we are likely to not be in a position to find the top LT potential type.

In the end, it'll come down to how the team grades it, but if there's someone they believe has LT potential, I think it absolutely has to be considered.

sweetness34
02-06-2007, 07:47 PM
Urlacher, Briggs, Brown, Harris, Johnson, Vasher, Tillman, Manning, Kruetz, Benson, Berrian, Grossman, McKie, and Bradley were all drafted by the Bears. Thats 14 of 22 starters my friend. I'd say the drafts have been very good for us.

And you could also probably add Hillenmeyer in their too because we took him early in his career from Green Bay.

Hurricane Ditka
02-06-2007, 07:54 PM

I agree Smokey. It would be sweet.

Ditka..I understand your concern for resiging players but if we can acquire him for a reasonable price I see no reason why we don't do this. Face it..this team hasn't been successful with draftees turning out. Many people don't want to face it but it is what it is. People say things change and I agree. I just don't see the dire need in blowing the 1st round pick on a player that's just going to ride the pine and learn until next year. To me there are more important positions that could pose more immediate impacts for our team. Hunter Hillenmeyer needs to know his role as backup. I've been saying this guy is a bandaid all along. His performance in the Superbowl is just more proof of it. While our db's are solid in Vasher and Tillman..we still don't have legit depth along with Safety. Brown has consistently gone down and we've hurt at Safety everytime he went down. We need someone to step up here and Daniel Manning has a ton to learn. As talented as our receiving core is nobody has stepped up as a consistent threat or a main target. There is a lot of talent in this draft and if we could get our hands on a gem I say pull the trigger.

O-Line can wait until the 3rd round. We can plug young guys in Free Agency. Angelo has done very well at this and I see no reason why we don't get experienced lineman instead of young rookies.The bold is where I disagree, I think you're just flat out wrong. It's not blowing the pick, it's building for the future. Almost all of this team was built through the draft, to say we can't draft players because of past mistakes is asinine. And Hillenmeyer is a solid SAM linebacker. On a team that is in place to make another run at the play-offs, you aren't necessarily looking for immediate impacts. You'll pay through the roof to get good veteran offensive lineman, the only way to build a long term offensive line is through the draft.

pellepelle_10
02-06-2007, 07:54 PM
The only reason I would suggest OL early is simple. We need LT potential, and if there is one of value (for example, Joe Staley) it has to be considered. THe OL was lauded this year, for some odd reason. It was a solid unit, but it could certainly use an upgrade in pass protection, as Tait received mroe than enough help to cover for his flaws/deficiencies.

Now, granted, Tait/Miller are likely to remain. But if there's LT potential at our pick, I think it has to be considered. Miller's likely gone after next year, and in the near future, Tait will probably move back to RT. The beneift of adding someone like Joe Staley would be to allow them to start at guard next year if they are ready and eventually move them out.

That said, we could certainly wait to find LT potential. But, assuming we do good again next year, we are likely to not be in a position to find the top LT potential type.

In the end, it'll come down to how the team grades it, but if there's someone they believe has LT potential, I think it absolutely has to be considered.

This is my point. Age is an issue with our team. Lineman go into Free Agency yearly. I don't see any reason why we "gamble" on a draft pick that Angelo has shown zero success with in the 1st round we he can draft another position that he's shown better success with. Take this season for example. As of right now we know Steinbach is a possibility. The guy has played both Guard and Tackle. Whose to say he couldn't emerge as a solid Tackle? I'm sure more players will unfold as Free Agency nears and cap cuts begin. Again I understand the concern with age at the Offensive Line but the trend scares me and I for one don't think Angelo will take that gamble with other positions of need that can be addressed in the draft as well.

pellepelle_10
02-06-2007, 07:57 PM
Urlacher, Briggs, Brown, Harris, Johnson, Vasher, Tillman, Manning, Kruetz, Benson, Berrian, Grossman, McKie, and Bradley were all drafted by the Bears. Thats 14 of 22 starters my friend. I'd say the drafts have been very good for us.

And you could also probably add Hillenmeyer in their too because we took him early in his career from Green Bay.

You're right. Now name a successful lineman that was drafted by Angelo's group. You can erase Kruetz from that (he wasn't drafted by Angelo). What do you have left? 4 starters that came via Free Agency. Brown - Bills, Miller - Titans, Tait - Chiefs, and Garza - Falcons, and St. Claire - Rams. Need I say more?

Hurricane Ditka
02-06-2007, 07:58 PM
The draft itself is a gamble, every player every pick, it's ignorant to say just because one offensive tackle didn't pan out 5 years ago it's going to completely alter a general manager's draft strategy.

Hurricane Ditka
02-06-2007, 08:00 PM

You're right. Now name a successful lineman that was drafted by Angelo's group. You can erase Kruetz from that (he wasn't drafted by Angelo). What do you have left? 4 starters that came via Free Agency. Brown - Bills, Miller - Titans, Tait - Chiefs, and Garza - Falcons, and St. Claire - Rams. Need I say more?Look at the results. It's staring you right in the face, have to rebuild the offensive line again, just 3 years after it was rebuilt.

pellepelle_10
02-06-2007, 08:07 PM
The draft itself is a gamble, every player every pick, it's ignorant to say just because one offensive tackle didn't pan out 5 years ago it's going to completely alter a general manager's draft strategy.

It may not..but take in the fact that they've had a huge success acquiring players out of free agency. Combine that with the lack of success they've had in the draft and you have your recipe. It's not a guarantee he won't go OL in the draft. I just think its highly unlikely he'll venture that way. It's just my opinion though.

I will say it sure pointed that way with Angelo when needing to take a quarterback in the draft that Leftwich was clearly a candidate for. He didn't want to pull the trigger at qb that high because other teams had success out of the later rounds and most 1st round qb's didn't pan in the NFL. Call it a smoke screen or whatever..that was straight from the horses mouth and yes...he decided to trade down instead of pulling that trigger. No Boller, No Leftwich, and No Suggs(a pass rusher we didn't have at the time either).

pellepelle_10
02-06-2007, 08:11 PM

You're right. Now name a successful lineman that was drafted by Angelo's group. You can erase Kruetz from that (he wasn't drafted by Angelo). What do you have left? 4 starters that came via Free Agency. Brown - Bills, Miller - Titans, Tait - Chiefs, and Garza - Falcons, and St. Claire - Rams. Need I say more?Look at the results. It's staring you right in the face, have to rebuild the offensive line again, just 3 years after it was rebuilt.

These guys weren't necessarilly young though either and most good Lineman stay in the league until their early mid 30's. Steinbach is 27. Garza will be around for awhile. Kruetz still has a few years in him. Miller isn't old but he's not necessarilly the greatest either which is why he needs to be replaced. Who knows whats up with Tait but he's gone from good to just unbearable..it could be age..who knows.

Hurricane Ditka
02-06-2007, 08:12 PM

It may not..but take in the fact that they've had a huge success acquiring players out of free agency. Combine that with the lack of success they've had in the draft and you have your recipe. It's not a guarantee he won't go OL in the draft. I just think its highly unlikely he'll venture that way. It's just my opinion though.

I will say it sure pointed that way with Angelo when needing to take a quarterback in the draft that Leftwich was clearly a candidate for. He didn't want to pull the trigger at qb that high because other teams had success out of the later rounds and most 1st round qb's didn't pan in the NFL. Call it a smoke screen or whatever..that was straight from the horses mouth and yes...he decided to trade down instead of pulling that trigger. No Boller, No Leftwich, and No Suggs(a pass rusher we didn't have at the time either).That trade netted the Bears alot more than just Micheal Haynes and Rex Grossman, Angelo traded down because he need to rebuild the team from scratch.

pellepelle_10
02-06-2007, 08:16 PM

I will say it sure pointed that way with Angelo when needing to take a quarterback in the draft that Leftwich was clearly a candidate for. He didn't want to pull the trigger at qb that high because other teams had success out of the later rounds and most 1st round qb's didn't pan in the NFL. Call it a smoke screen or whatever..that was straight from the horses mouth and yes...he decided to trade down instead of pulling that trigger. No Boller, No Leftwich, and No Suggs(a pass rusher we didn't have at the time either).That trade netted the Bears alot more than just Micheal Haynes and Rex Grossman, Angelo traded down because he need to rebuild the team from scratch.

and what is possibly the most important position you buid a team around?

quarterback

which is why you shouldn't miss an opportunity to get a higher caliber player ESPECIALLY at such a crucial position.

diabsoule
02-06-2007, 08:26 PM
What do you guys think of Ian Scott? Also, what do you think are his chances of being signed by someone else?

pellepelle_10
02-06-2007, 08:34 PM
What do you guys think of Ian Scott? Also, what do you think are his chances of being signed by someone else?

Out of him and Boone I would like him to stay but he could also start on another team. I'm not sure if the Bears will be able to keep him but he is a solid player. Not a spectacular guy for pass rushing but he's very good at run stuffing.

VoteLynnSwan
02-06-2007, 08:36 PM

quarterback

which is why you shouldn't miss an opportunity to get a higher caliber player ESPECIALLY at such a crucial position.

are you trying to make it seem as if Byron Leftwich would be light years better than Rex Grossman? Because he really hasn't been, the only difference is that he's been on the field more...

pellepelle_10
02-06-2007, 08:43 PM

quarterback

are you trying to make it seem as if Byron Leftwich would be light years better than Rex Grossman? Because he really hasn't been, the only difference is that he's been on the field more...

Lets face it. Jacksonvilles offense is and has been arse. Reggie Williams has been a bust and Matt Jones. Ernest Wilford?!? and where has Marcedes Lewis been? Their offense has been in shambles and you can't blame him for having subpar stats with a bunch of nobodies to throw to. This is like people who ripped Donovan McNabb for not being great and when they finally gave him a top end WR he tore up the place (T.O.) Give him our receivers and I bet he'd tear up the joint.

Hurricane Ditka
02-06-2007, 08:57 PM
Lewis has been doing what most rookie should, and that is learning the game and riding the bench.

Smokey Joe
02-06-2007, 10:04 PM
Hey pellepelle, do you want to join the Bears Forum Mock team? We lost one guy, and we could use someone with your type of intelligence on the Bears?

pellepelle_10
02-06-2007, 10:11 PM
Hey pellepelle, do you want to join the Bears Forum Mock team? We lost one guy, and we could use someone with your type of intelligence on the Bears?

No prob Smokey. When are they? (meaning the mocks)

Smokey Joe
02-06-2007, 11:29 PM

Well, it is a forum mock & offseason. So it will take place for a while. If you do join you'd probably be the defensive scout - you look up players on defense that would be good fits for the bears on defense and you report to the HC (Hurricane Ditka) about the players. It is an all-bear fan team, and if you joined it would look something like this...

GM: BF51
Assistant GM: Sweetness
HC: Hurricane Ditka
Head Scout: Me
D Scout: pellepelle (you)
O Scout: VLS

pellepelle_10
02-07-2007, 12:21 AM

Well, it is a forum mock & offseason. So it will take place for a while. If you do join you'd probably be the defensive scout - you look up players on defense that would be good fits for the bears on defense and you report to the HC (Hurricane Ditka) about the players. It is an all-bear fan team, and if you joined it would look something like this...

GM: BF51
Assistant GM: Sweetness
HC: Hurricane Ditka
Head Scout: Me
D Scout: pellepelle (you)
O Scout: VLS

good deal..I already have names in mind

on another note..does anybody know if John Carlson TE - Notre Dame is going Pro? I've heard nothing about the guy coming out this year and he's a better catching TE than Fasano. He ended up taking Fasano's spot and didn't miss a beat. Even while injured 2 games this year he posted better numbers than Fasano's best season. He's a 6-6 250lb TE with a good upside. Played bball for Notre Dame his freshman year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=150292

@$#
02-07-2007, 02:07 AM
why did the crowd boo mussin mohammed at the coin toss? i thought he was a very likeable guy

VoteLynnSwan
02-07-2007, 02:09 AM
why did the crowd boo mussin mohammed at the coin toss? i thought he was a very likeable guy

it's remarkable how the words boo and moose sound so similar when in a scenario like that...

but seriously, they were chearing MOOSE...

sweetness34
02-07-2007, 08:23 AM

it's remarkable how the words boo and moose sound so similar when in a scenario like that...

but seriously, they were chearing MOOSE...

Haha my mom said the same thing..."Why are they booing him?" Well they aren't, they're chanting MOOOOSSSSEEEEE... :lol:

NYmoney
02-07-2007, 10:45 AM
Looks like Rivera is rightfully so interested in the Dallas job. At least we get to keep Lovie.

Geo
02-07-2007, 11:17 AM
A little copy/paste job from another thread . . .

If I'm the Chicago Bears, I don't consider trading Thomas Jones. He's a Top 10 RB in the NFC with a heck of a lot left in his body and legs specifically, he's multi-faceted in what he can offer the offense, he's a legit team leader who has endeared himself to his teammates, and has shown the willingness and commitment to team to share carries with Cedric Benson. I'm big on Adrian Peterson who unfortunately isn't get much game action as he sits third on the depth chart and performs admirably on special teams, buy why screw with a good thing? Especially when the team currently assembled has a good chance at the Super Bowl every year for some time.

If I'm the Bears I gladly pay Jones the remainder of his current contract for 2007, and when the 29 year-old free agent hits the open market next Spring - when Michael Turner is available in the open market, when the 5-star sophomore RB class has declared for the draft as eligible juniors, and the Gaints, Ravens, and Packers have already acquired necessary additions to the RB cores - he'll hopefully stay with the team after I offer a 3 or 4-year deal (around 3 mil a year). Having a tandem of Jones and Benson in the playoffs is just punishing to other teams, especially if Chicago is hosting, a proven method for success.

NYmoney
02-07-2007, 11:37 AM

If I'm the Chicago Bears, I don't consider trading Thomas Jones. He's a Top 10 RB in the NFC with a heck of a lot left in his body and legs specifically, he's multi-faceted in what he can offer the offense, he's a legit team leader who has endeared himself to his teammates, and has shown the willingness and commitment to team to share carries with Cedric Benson. I'm big on Adrian Peterson who unfortunately isn't get much game action as he sits third on the depth chart and performs admirably on special teams, buy why screw with a good thing? Especially when the team currently assembled has a good chance at the Super Bowl every year for some time.

If I'm the Bears I gladly pay Jones the remainder of his current contract for 2007, and when the 29 year-old free agent hits the open market next Spring - when Michael Turner is available in the open market, when the 5-star sophomore RB class has declared for the draft as eligible juniors, and the Gaints, Ravens, and Packers have already acquired necessary additions to the RB cores - he'll hopefully stay with the team after I offer a 3 or 4-year deal (around 3 mil a year). Having a tandem of Jones and Benson in the playoffs is just punishing to other teams, especially if Chicago is hosting, a proven method for success.

no way the bears pay Jones 3 mil + a year when he's 29 and benson is in his prime.

bearsfan_51
02-07-2007, 11:39 AM

no way the bears pay Jones 3 mil + a year when he's 29 and benson is in his prime.
I have problem with the money. I wouldn't go more than 3 years though. 3 mil isn't much at all in today's market.

Hurricane Ditka
02-07-2007, 12:25 PM
Alright, whose going to take care of the ticker reports for Briggs? I can do it a little later.

Smokey Joe
02-07-2007, 02:22 PM
Alright, whose going to take care of the ticker reports for Briggs? I can do it a little later.
I won't be home until about 6. If no one does it by then, I will do it.

sweetness34
02-07-2007, 04:14 PM
I won't be home until about 6. If no one does it by then, I will do it.

sweetness has a hot date tonight. :P (with HD's mom)...OH SCHNAPS!! :lol:

Nah seriously I'm goin to a hockey game with someone so I won't be home till like 10 or so. I say Smokey does it.

*and yes I'm cheating on both of you*

:oops:

Primetime21
02-07-2007, 05:38 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2757758

Did ya'll read that? Now that's a true fan...

Smokey Joe
02-07-2007, 05:45 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2757758

Did ya'll read that? Now that's a true fan...
No... that is a true idiot.

Smokey Joe
02-07-2007, 06:10 PM
Okay, I did the News thingie about Briggs...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.ideamill.com/postpic/nflnet.jpg

http://images.nfl.com/images/nflnetwork/eisen_rich.jpgRich Eisen: Hello and welcome back to NFL Total Access on NFL Network! I have just gotten word that Adam Schefter has some news concerning one of the league's top free agents in this offseason.

http://images.nfl.com/images/author/8830.jpgAdam Schefter: Hey Rich. League sorces have told me that the Chicago Bears are going to place the franchise tag on their All-Pro Linebacker, Lance Briggs. Since franchised players get paid the average of what the top 5 players at their position in the league get, Lance Briggs would get 7.2 million. That is a heafty price to pay, but it includes no signing bonus and frees up cap in the long term. My sources also told me that the Bears are willing to listen to offers concerning Briggs, but he won't be easy to get. If a trade does happen, it would be very similar to the John Abraham trade last year, as he was in the same situation as Briggs.

http://images.nfl.com/images/nflnetwork/eisen_rich.jpgRich Eisen: Thanks for the breaking news Adam, but it was pretty obvious the Bears would franchise Briggs, right?

http://images.nfl.com/images/author/8830.jpgAdam Schefter: You are right. I was not surprised, and when I spoke to league officials, they told me they would have been shocked if Briggs wasn't at least franchised.

http://images.nfl.com/images/nflnetwork/eisen_rich.jpgRich Eisen: Okay. Thanks again Adam.

http://images.nfl.com/images/author/8830.jpgAdam Schefter: Thank you.

http://q90fm.com/Q-images/clapboard.jpgDirector: Cut to commercial!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you all think? And if you don't like it, to bad. I already posted it.

Smokey Joe
02-07-2007, 06:13 PM
Also, I agree with HD, we need to get a war room going. My AIM is mpb220.

Also, I am thinking about doing a "ticker" involving Ruben Brown and Eric Steinbach... Any objections?

Hurricane Ditka
02-07-2007, 06:21 PM

Also, I am thinking about doing a "ticker" involving Ruben Brown and Eric Steinbach... Any objections?Brown yes, Steinbach eh. AIM=Tenacious Dim

Hurricane Ditka
02-07-2007, 06:24 PM
I'll post our roster in a little while. Did anyone else forget that Dwayne Slay is still on our practice squad? I hope he makes the team, he hits like a monster.

Smokey Joe
02-07-2007, 06:32 PM

Also, I am thinking about doing a "ticker" involving Ruben Brown and Eric Steinbach... Any objections?Brown yes, Steinbach eh. AIM=Tenacious Dim
I would say something like "The Bears are also interested in Steinbach, but it is a longshot that they get him."

Smokey Joe
02-07-2007, 06:33 PM
I'll post our roster in a little while. Did anyone else forget that Dwayne Slay is still on our practice squad? I hope he makes the team, he hits like a monster.
I like Slay, but I like Mike Hass better. He will replace Gage next season...

Smokey Joe
02-07-2007, 06:36 PM
Oh yeah, 3 guys I wouldn't mind seeing in different uniforms next year... Justin Gage, Dante Wesley, Camerson Worrell.

Smokey Joe
02-07-2007, 06:44 PM
Bears Free Agents: (and my thoughts on them)

Justin Gage, UFA - Good Bye
Gabe Reid, UFA - Good Bye
Ruben Brown, UFA - Would Gladly Welcome Back
Alfonso Boone, UFA - Could stay or go
Tank Johnson, RFA - If some team makes an offer for him and we get the draft pick out of it... good by Tank! But that is doubtful with his legal status.
Ian Scott, UFA - Would Gladly Welcome Back
Lance Briggs, UFA - Franchise? Would gladly welcome back
Rod Wilson, ERFA - What is a ERFA? I don't care if he comes back or leaves
Todd Johnson, RFA - Wouldn't mind having him back
Cameron Worrell, RFA - Good bye

Hurricane Ditka
02-07-2007, 07:24 PM
Justin Gage, UFA
Gabe Reid, UFA
Ruben Brown, UFA
Alfonso Boone, UFA
Tank Johnson, RFA
Ian Scott, UFA
Lance Briggs, UFA
Rod Wilson, ERFA
Todd Johnson, RFA
Cameron Worrell, RFA

Who'd I keep is in bold.

Hurricane Ditka
02-07-2007, 07:27 PM
I like Slay, but I like Mike Hass better. He will replace Gage next season...I'd rather replace him with someone good. Should we cut Airese Currie? He's been nothing but false promises and dead weight since we drafted him, but he's shown enough promise to stick around this long theres got to something about him.

bearsfan_51
02-07-2007, 08:04 PM
A few thoughts.

1)That's a great replica Smokey. You actually encapsulated quite nicely Schefter's verbal structure. I would suggest us exploring trades that equal to a high 2nd value however. I can all but promise that with the fun of simply picking someone in the first round most people won't be willing to give that pick up. That or just not offer him at all.

2)My AIM is TonySteedman.

3)Gabe Reid is a RFA, for what it's worth. Tank Johnson is not a RFA, his contract is up next season. I would definately want to trade him though quite frankly, and would go as low as a 5th rounder for him.

4)After some consideration I've decided that I don't want to be in charge of this. I'm 24 years old and am trying to write a MA thesis while still having a life and visiting PhD programs. I need to weed myself off the addiction that is online chatting. I'm more than willing to serve on the board in the same capacity or whatever, but if you three (Smokey, HD, Sweetness) want to make decisions in my stead that's quite alright with me.

Smokey Joe
02-07-2007, 08:09 PM
How are we gonna do this now? Should we just do a co-gm thing?

HD, Sweetness, and Me - Co-GM's
PellePelle, VLS, 51 - Assistant GM's/Scouts

???

Smokey Joe
02-07-2007, 08:11 PM
A few thoughts.

1)That's a great replica Smokey. You actually encapsulated quite nicely Schefter's verbal structure. I would suggest us exploring trades that equal to a high 2nd value however. I can all but promise that with the fun of simply picking someone in the first round most people won't be willing to give that pick up. That or just not offer him at all.

Truth is... I am Adam Scheftler.

Hurricane Ditka
02-07-2007, 08:19 PM

???How down is Sweetness with the whole thing? The only people that here constantly are Smokey and Myself. Testicles, that is all.

Smokey Joe
02-07-2007, 08:27 PM

???How down is Sweetness with the whole thing? The only people that here constantly are Smokey and Myself. Testicles, that is all.
You and me should be co-gms, as we are lifeless losers right now who are always here. We'll ask Sweetness, but it looks like it will be mainly you and me with some help from the assistants (pp, VLS, 51, and sweetness?)

Hurricane Ditka
02-07-2007, 08:33 PM
Tank Johnson is not a RFA, his contract is up next season. I would definately want to trade him though quite frankly, and would go as low as a 5th rounder for him.
And you say that I'm ridiculous. Assuming we don't re-sign Scott, you'd be willing to trade the only legitimate healthy starter we have a defensive tackle? Ludacris! (The speed not the rapper) It would be two-faced of the organization to turn their back on him now, especially after committing themselves to his rehabilitation. Tank is a good player, he might not be a great person but trading him away for peanuts is a bad idea. It makes defensive tackle a bigger need than it really is, (which if you ask me isn't as big as some of us though).

Smokey Joe
02-07-2007, 08:40 PM
Hey 51, you were wrong about Reid, I think. He has been in the league for 4 years now (but didn't play in the first 2 seasons). That makes him a UFA, right?

VoteLynnSwan
02-07-2007, 10:26 PM
Justin Gage, UFA
Gabe Reid, UFA
Ruben Brown, UFA
Alfonso Boone, UFA
Tank Johnson, RFA
Ian Scott, UFA
Lance Briggs, UFA
Rod Wilson, ERFA
Todd Johnson, RFA
Cameron Worrell, RFA

Who'd I keep is in bold.

i'd agree with this list, the one exception being Boone, i don't think he's necessary if we keep Johnson, get Dvoracek and Harris back healthy and have Idonije who can slide over if need be...

bearsfan_51
02-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Well for those of you who wanted Ron Rivera to stay I'd say that the Cowboys hiring of Wade Phillips greatly increases the chances of that happening.

And in response to a few earlier post.

HD- I'd say the chances of us resinging Tank after next year are about 10-15%. I'd much rather have a mid-round pick than a fellon, who is overrated as a player anyway, that we're only going to have for one more year.

Smokey- On the Bears website section of chat with Larry Mayer, he says that Gabe Reid is a RFA. That's news to me as well, and certainly could be wrong, but they usually don't speak on things they aren't sure of on the official site.

bearsfan_51
02-08-2007, 11:24 AM
Oh and Mel Kiper Jr's new mock. Which is actually really good considering how poor they often are this early in the process, has us also taking Aaron Sears at #31. I don't dislike the pick as he's a versitile player and can provide us young depth at numerous positions.

NYmoney
02-08-2007, 11:27 AM
Tank Johnson is not a RFA, his contract is up next season. I would definately want to trade him though quite frankly, and would go as low as a 5th rounder for him.
And you say that I'm ridiculous. Assuming we don't re-sign Scott, you'd be willing to trade the only legitimate healthy starter we have a defensive tackle? Ludacris! (The speed not the rapper) It would be two-faced of the organization to turn their back on him now, especially after committing themselves to his rehabilitation. Tank is a good player, he might not be a great person but trading him away for peanuts is a bad idea. It makes defensive tackle a bigger need than it really is, (which if you ask me isn't as big as some of us though).

we have DD too.

sweetness34
02-08-2007, 12:13 PM

You and me should be co-gms, as we are lifeless losers right now who are always here. We'll ask Sweetness, but it looks like it will be mainly you and me with some help from the assistants (pp, VLS, 51, and sweetness?)

You boys can Co-GM this thing and I'll be an assistant scout. I just don't have the time, college and work (plus other stuff :P ) I won't be on here as much as I used to be.

Btw, Seattle is interested in trying to get Vasher, and they want picks. I told him 2nd or a 3rd. :D

pellepelle_10
02-08-2007, 01:39 PM
More news boys

Bears | O'Sullivan added
Thu, 8 Feb 2007 08:14:45 -0800

Adam Schefter, of NFL.com, reports the Chicago Bears have signed free agent QB J.T. O'Sullivan (Panthers). Terms of the deal were undisclosed.

On top of this Garcia has been speaking highly of an opportunity to play with the Chicago Bears.

pellepelle_10
02-08-2007, 01:41 PM

You boys can Co-GM this thing and I'll be an assistant scout. I just don't have the time, college and work (plus other stuff :P ) I won't be on here as much as I used to be.

Btw, Seattle is interested in trying to get Vasher, and they want picks. I told him 2nd or a 3rd. :D

Vasher is untouchable and a 2nd or 3rd round pick will NOT get us a guy of the same caliber. I'd turn that down in a heartbeat.

pellepelle_10
02-08-2007, 01:46 PM

we have DD too.

People are getting this attitude that Tank is a bad guy. Lets get it straight...I went to school with the guy and have friends who played with him. After speaking with a fellow football player even he told me Tank was your average smart kid outta a pretty nice neighborhood from Arizona. The guy even received scholarships to play division I-A volleyball for crying out loud. Even during his early years in college he was outta trouble. The guy pretty much just got caught up with the wrong people during the tail end. Living in Chicago doesn't help things out either. If any of you read the story about his friend he didn't start getting into serious trouble until he moved from Arizona to take care of his sick sister who was on her death bed. It wasn't until he went to Chicago that he got caught up with the wrong crowd. Same with Tank.

sweetness34
02-08-2007, 02:12 PM

Vasher is untouchable and a 2nd or 3rd round pick will NOT get us a guy of the same caliber. I'd turn that down in a heartbeat.

So if Oakland came up with the #1 pick in the NFL draft and offered us that for Vasher, you wouldn't do it? :shock:

I wasn't going to trade him either but it'd take at least a 2nd Round pick for me to even think about getting rid of Vash.

pellepelle_10
02-08-2007, 02:20 PM

So if Oakland came up with the #1 pick in the NFL draft and offered us that for Vasher, you wouldn't do it? :shock:

I wasn't going to trade him either but it'd take at least a 2nd Round pick for me to even think about getting rid of Vash.

If Oakland gave the #1 pick that would be a no-brainer..I'm just saying that the pick would have to be justifiable. Taking a later 2nd round pick wouldn't get us anyone of the same value. Could we pull a rabbit out the hat with a later rnd pick like Angelo has excelled at? Yes but why? If we're going to make a trade of that caliber we should do it when there are players who we think we could get better than what we have. Vasher was a Pro-Bowler in his 2nd season and he's just completed his third. He's young and hasn't hit his peak yet. If we are to get a trade make it something of interest. A second rounder would make me yawn as a GM. wether or not Vasher had a soso season we've seen what he's capable of and he did a good job shutting down one of the 2 most prolific WR's in the Superbowl. That should say something.

NYmoney
02-08-2007, 03:01 PM

we have DD too.

People are getting this attitude that Tank is a bad guy. Lets get it straight...I went to school with the guy and have friends who played with him. After speaking with a fellow football player even he told me Tank was your average smart kid outta a pretty nice neighborhood from Arizona. The guy even received scholarships to play division I-A volleyball for crying out loud. Even during his early years in college he was outta trouble. The guy pretty much just got caught up with the wrong people during the tail end. Living in Chicago doesn't help things out either. If any of you read the story about his friend he didn't start getting into serious trouble until he moved from Arizona to take care of his sick sister who was on her death bed. It wasn't until he went to Chicago that he got caught up with the wrong crowd. Same with Tank.

regardless, he's in trouble now. he is a troubled man. he blamed the media's attention on him being a big african american with tattoos. that's blame shifting in its finest.

pellepelle_10
02-08-2007, 03:40 PM

we have DD too.

regardless, he's in trouble now. he is a troubled man. he blamed the media's attention on him being a big african american with tattoos. that's blame shifting in its finest.

The guy had guns..oh whooptie doo...I know peoples grand parents who'd tripple, quadruple him in the amount of rounds he was found with. Who cares. He's not shooting anybody and he's not failing drug tests. He's not beating his wife or driving under the influence. Life goes on. He's a player and until he messes up again its not going to be an issue. THE END. Lets stop kicking the dead horse.

I'm not turning this into a racial debate but we already know about what the media is capable of doing and has been for decades. (hurricane katrina's depiction of looters) Now I'm hearing about people ripping Prince for his show playing his guitar??!? The media has always been a joke. I'll just end it there. :)

Smokey Joe
02-08-2007, 06:06 PM
More news boys

Bears | O'Sullivan added
Thu, 8 Feb 2007 08:14:45 -0800

Adam Schefter, of NFL.com, reports the Chicago Bears have signed free agent QB J.T. O'Sullivan (Panthers). Terms of the deal were undisclosed.

On top of this Garcia has been speaking highly of an opportunity to play with the Chicago Bears.
QB problems fixed! :roll:

Didn't we bring in O'Sullivan a year or so ago for training camp or something? ANd there would be absolutely no need for Jeff Garcia.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
02-08-2007, 07:59 PM
If Jeff Garcia gets signed to be the starting QB I will kill my self.

I promise you.

Hurricane Ditka
02-08-2007, 09:21 PM
Alright so what exactly are the positions on the forum offseason now.

Hurricane Ditka
02-08-2007, 09:27 PM
What other Bears fans like pancakes. I sure do.

Smokey Joe
02-08-2007, 09:27 PM
Co-GM's: Hurricane Ditka and Smokey Joe
Assistants: bearsfan_51, sweetness34, VoteLynnSwan, and pellepelle_10

I am going to make up and post a Brad Biggs article about how the Bears officially franchised Briggs, and tendered Gabe Reid and Todd Johnson. Should I also include Rod Wilson with that list?

Hurricane Ditka
02-08-2007, 09:28 PM
Co-GM's: Hurricane Ditka and Smokey Joe
Assistants: bearsfan_51, sweetness34, VoteLynnSwan, and pellepelle_10

I am going to make up and post a Brad Biggs article about how the Bears officially franchised Briggs, and tendered Gabe Reid and Todd Johnson. Should I also include Rod Wilson with that list?Sure, depth and special teams can't hurt.

Smokey Joe
02-08-2007, 10:33 PM
***----for the forum mock----***

Bears | Free Agent News
Thu, 8 Feb 2007 10:09

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun Times, reports that the Bears have officially placed the franchise tag on Lance Briggs. He will earn 7.2 million if he stays with the Bears, but teams can still make him offers, and if he signs somewhere else, that team would owe the Bears compensation. Also, the Bears have offered low tenders to both Todd Johnson (RFA) and Gabe Reid (RFA). If another team signs either of them, they would have to give up a 4th round pick as compensation for Todd Johnson as that is where he got drafted, but since Gabe Reid was not drafted by the Bears no compensation would be required. Rod Wilson was also signed to the minimum as he was a ERFA.

bearsfan_51
02-09-2007, 01:00 AM
I prefer waffles. Better texture.

NYmoney
02-09-2007, 09:18 AM

we have DD too.

The guy had guns..oh whooptie doo...I know peoples grand parents who'd tripple, quadruple him in the amount of rounds he was found with. Who cares. He's not shooting anybody and he's not failing drug tests. He's not beating his wife or driving under the influence. Life goes on. He's a player and until he messes up again its not going to be an issue. THE END. Lets stop kicking the dead horse.

I'm not turning this into a racial debate but we already know about what the media is capable of doing and has been for decades. (hurricane katrina's depiction of looters) Now I'm hearing about people ripping Prince for his show playing his guitar??!? The media has always been a joke. I'll just end it there. :)

Are you really playing the Tank race card? And as for the most disasterous natural disaster in recent memory, the media was more than fair. they showed pictures of troops not entering the city, of police looting, and people carrying FLAT SCREEN TV's saying "we gotta get this stuff to stay alive." that exact quote was on ABC Nightly News. and the police rioting was on CNN. Also, the media includes all the news show hosts that TORE President Bush apart.

Thus, the purpose of what I am saying is that the media does not have these racial biases you are implying. In fact, there are many members of the media that are from minority groups. So to imply that the media is making a big deal out of Tank's actions because he is black is ignoring the facts.

Btw, is the media full of hypocrites because they are tearing apart a white male from America's Midwest: the Rex Grossman???

Owned.

bearsfan_51
02-09-2007, 10:21 AM
Please don't say owned. It diminishes all of us.

bigbluedefense
02-09-2007, 10:30 AM
I don't get it. Why do Bears fans hate Jerry CoAngelo so much? I think he does a great job. Granted he's not the best 1st round drafter, he more than makes up for it in later rounds. He's one of the better later round drafters in the league.

He got Mark Andersen, Daniel Manning, Devin Hester in this draft, which was an excellent draft. Benson will be fine. Whats with all the hate? I don't get it. Im not saying you guys hate him, but alot of regular joe bears fans hate him. Why?

bearsfan_51
02-09-2007, 10:38 AM
I don't get it. Why do Bears fans hate Jerry CoAngelo so much? I think he does a great job. Granted he's not the best 1st round drafter, he more than makes up for it in later rounds. He's one of the better later round drafters in the league.

He got Mark Andersen, Daniel Manning, Devin Hester in this draft, which was an excellent draft. Benson will be fine. Whats with all the hate? I don't get it. Im not saying you guys hate him, but alot of regular joe bears fans hate him. Why?
Who hates him? I think he's jesus in a suit. I've been on his bandwaggon since 2001. The man could sell an amishman an electric car.

Oh I missed the part about "regular joes". I would attribute that to the fact that most Bears fans are idiots. But I'm still not sure I agree with the premise that most people hate him.

There is firejerryangelo.com, but you'll notice that once they started winning they stopped updated their site. The only guy on here I can remember not liking Angelo is DaFan, and he just had a totem poll up his ass anyway.

bigbluedefense
02-09-2007, 10:53 AM

Who hates him? I think he's jesus in a suit. I've been on his bandwaggon since 2001. The man could sell an amishman an electric car.

Oh I missed the part about "regular joes". I would attribute that to the fact that most Bears fans are idiots. But I'm still not sure I agree with the premise that most people hate him.

There is firejerryangelo.com, but you'll notice that once they started winning they stopped updated their site. The only guy on here I can remember not liking Angelo is DaFan, and he just had a totem poll up his ass anyway.

Its died down this year, but its still there. A buddy of mine is a Bears fan and HATES CoAngelo. He's pretty dumb though.

...Well...ok, he's an absolute moron. He's like the guys from "Da Bears" skits SNL used to do. He's still trying to convince me that Rex Grossman is a top 5 qb in the league, and Cedric Benson is better than Larry Johnson.

NYmoney
02-09-2007, 11:19 AM
Please don't say owned. It diminishes all of us.

C'est la vie.

NYmoney
02-09-2007, 11:22 AM

Its died down this year, but its still there. A buddy of mine is a Bears fan and HATES CoAngelo. He's pretty dumb though.

...Well...ok, he's an absolute moron. He's like the guys from "Da Bears" skits SNL used to do. He's still trying to convince me that Rex Grossman is a top 5 qb in the league, and Cedric Benson is better than Larry Johnson.

often the average fan is only aware of the first round pick. therefore, when your first rounders aren't pro bowlers, people begin to think their GM is bad. that's all. ignorance is bliss.

bearsfan_51
02-09-2007, 11:46 AM
Also, it's Jerry Angelo. Coangelo is the GM from the Phoenix Suns.

bigbluedefense
02-09-2007, 12:11 PM

Whoops. :oops:

You think Brian Leonard would be a nice fit in Chicago?

bearsfan_51
02-09-2007, 12:13 PM

Don't see the need. I'd take Greg Schiano as my head coach any day of the week though. He was a former assistant in Chicago and I think is the next Charlie Weis.

NYmoney
02-09-2007, 12:13 PM

raptors now.

bearsfan_51
02-09-2007, 12:20 PM

raptors now.
His son Brian is GM of the Raptors.

bigbluedefense
02-09-2007, 12:31 PM

Don't see the need. I'd take Greg Schiano as my head coach any day of the week though. He was a former assistant in Chicago and I think is the next Charlie Weis.

You can't have him!!!!

He's from Jersey and will be a future Giant HC. I called dibs on that last year.

sweetness34
02-09-2007, 01:42 PM

raptors now.
His son Brian is GM of the Raptors.

Jerry is still with the Suns. 51's right here.

sweetness34
02-09-2007, 01:44 PM

Haha I remember DaFan, he cried about how the draft ws this year and never came back. :lol:

Hurricane Ditka
02-09-2007, 03:27 PM
I prefer waffles. Better texture.Waffles are like pancakes with syrup pockets.

TitleTown088
02-09-2007, 03:31 PM
Rexyback http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTcmoDbj3aM&NR

bearsfan_51
02-09-2007, 03:44 PM
Which is bad because......?

And pancakes are too fluffy. I don't like my food fluffy.

Hurricane Ditka
02-09-2007, 03:48 PM
Which is bad because......?

And pancakes are too fluffy. I don't like my food fluffy.I like both. I just mentioned parakes first.

VoteLynnSwan
02-09-2007, 04:06 PM

i'd love to have him on our team, but yea we have no need for him. If we didn't have Cedric then he could be usefull... but the problem still remains that Ron Turner probably wouldn't be able to utilize him effectively.

Hurricane Ditka
02-09-2007, 04:15 PM

i'd love to have him on our team, but yea we have no need for him. If we didn't have Cedric then he could be usefull... but the problem still remains that Ron Turner probably wouldn't be able to utilize him effectively.Turner needs to go. Next year is his and Rex's last chance, if they don't get their **** together, show them the door.

Smokey Joe
02-09-2007, 05:15 PM
Pancakes > Waffles

Someone really should combine the both. Like a fluffy pancake with syrup pockets would be awesome.

Hurricane Ditka
02-09-2007, 05:20 PM
Pancakes > Waffles

Someone really should combine the both. Like a fluffy pancake with syrup pockets would be awesome.A flat crispy waffle wouldn't be bad.

VoteLynnSwan
02-09-2007, 05:55 PM
Pancakes > Waffles

Someone really should combine the both. Like a fluffy pancake with syrup pockets would be awesome.

the way in which you would cook something like that would make it impossible to be fluffy... it would have to have a crispy skin.

VoteLynnSwan
02-09-2007, 05:55 PM
Pancakes > Waffles

Someone really should combine the both. Like a fluffy pancake with syrup pockets would be awesome.A flat crispy waffle wouldn't be bad.

i think you mean a flat crispy pancake... this would be possible... but what's the advantage of making it flat?

sweetness34
02-09-2007, 07:02 PM
I'm a waffle guy myself. I live hotcakes but waffles are the shiznit.

sweetness34
02-09-2007, 07:03 PM
I'm a waffle guy myself. I live hotcakes but waffles are the shiznit.

VoteLynnSwan
02-10-2007, 01:59 AM
yea i would say i prefer waffles... but pancakes are definitely good nonetheless...

Smokey Joe
02-10-2007, 02:39 AM
***Forum Mock***

http://deadlinethemovie.com/about_the_film/img/Chicago%20Sun-Times.jpg
Bears | Guards?
Sat, 10 Feb 2007 2:30 a.m.

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports that the Bears have plans for OG through free agency. They are very interested in resigning Ruben Brown, and are also interested in bringing in Eric Steinbach. Also, it is no secret that Steinbach has shown interest in coming back to Chicago. He was born and raised in New Lenox, IL, and was a 4-time state champ with Providence Catholic High School and part of their 50 game winning streak.

Ruben Brown has expressed interest in returning as well. The Bears saved his career, and he loves it in Chicago. He is a veteran leader on the team and is respected by all. Brown is contemplating retirement also. Regardless if Brown is retained or not, the Bears will still probably try and get Steinbach. However, they seem like long-shots to be able to land him. Steinbach would add very important part to the OL though, which is youth and versitility.

http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/20070125/Ruben_brown_49784.jpghttp://bengals.enquirer.com/2003/12/03/steinbach.jpg
Ruben Brown Returning, Steinbach Coming?

Smokey Joe
02-10-2007, 02:57 AM
http://www.ideamill.com/postpic/nflnet.jpg

http://images.nfl.com/images/nflnetwork/eisen_rich.jpgRich Eisen: Hello and welcome back to NFL Total Access on NFL Network! I’m your host Rich Eisen and we will be talking a little about the NFC Champions, the Chicago Bears, with Adam Schefter.

http://images.nfl.com/images/author/8830.jpgAdam Schefter: Hey Rich. The Bears have officially placed the franchise tag on Briggs, and seem like locks to get either Ruben Brown back or sign Steinbach, or both. But a big concern right now is DT. At the beginning of the season DT looked like the least of Chicago’s worries, but with the recent legal troubles of Terry “Tank” Johnson and Tommie Harris getting injured, the Bears will have to resign either Ian Scott or Alfonso Boone, or draft someone. They drafted Dusty Dvoracek in the third round of the draft last year, but he spent the year on IR and is a question mark at this moment.

http://images.nfl.com/images/nflnetwork/eisen_rich.jpgRich Eisen: The Bears do have roughly 26 million in cap though. It’s not like the cap will be much of a problem for them.

http://images.nfl.com/images/author/8830.jpgAdam Schefter: You are correct. Don’t expect the Bears to go crazy, but that have enough cap to make some big moves, but the Bears have always been a good team without overspending and paying too much. Plus, that extra cap will come in handy when Nathan Vasher, Charles Tillman, and Rex Grossman contracts expire after 07, and Tommie Harris's after 08.

http://images.nfl.com/images/nflnetwork/eisen_rich.jpgRich Eisen: Okay. Thanks for the very informative news.

http://images.nfl.com/images/author/8830.jpgAdam Schefter: Thank you.

NFL Total Access – 2/10/07 2:53 a.m.

evershot
02-10-2007, 07:13 AM
Pancakes > Waffles

i think you mean a flat crispy pancake... this would be possible... but what's the advantage of making it flat?

You mean "really thin pancakes" they are what the french people call "Crepe`" ...but screw that there still just "really thin pancakes"

VoteLynnSwan
02-10-2007, 03:26 PM
Pancakes > Waffles

You mean "really thin pancakes" they are what the french people call "Crepe`" ...but screw that there still just "really thin pancakes"

yea but the difference is with crepes you role them and fill them...

bearfan
02-10-2007, 09:52 PM
Swedish Pancakes and Baked Pancakes own all

sweetness34
02-11-2007, 12:28 PM
BUMP!!

http://images.techtree.com/ttimages/story/78088_matter.jpg

sweetness still doesn't know how to upload images on here. :cry:

BUSTKUNTLAWL
02-11-2007, 02:35 PM
Kiper saying Jarrett could be the 5th WR taken.. :shock:

That would most likely mean 25-32..

Another possibility.. Remember JA's man crush on Mike Williams .. Thank god that didn't happen.

I think Jarrett will be a good pro though.. Just throwing it out there.

Smokey Joe
02-11-2007, 02:56 PM
BUMP!!

sweetness still doesn't know how to upload images on here. :cry:

Smokey Joe
02-11-2007, 02:56 PM

Another possibility.. Remember JA's man crush on Mike Williams .. Thank god that didn't happen.

I'd galdly take Jarrett at 31.

VoteLynnSwan
02-11-2007, 03:01 PM

yea, Dwayne Jarrett could easily be a fantastic replacement for Mushin...

Smokey Joe
02-11-2007, 03:47 PM

yea, Dwayne Jarrett could easily be a fantastic replacement for Mushin...
would also be a great replacement for Gage...

Berrian & Jarrett would make a pretty nice future WR set with Bradley in slot.

sweetness34
02-11-2007, 04:58 PM

**** yea! :D

bearsfan_51
02-11-2007, 05:52 PM

You're misinformed. Angelo said that he thought Williams was the 3rd best WR in the draft and that he had no interest at him at #4.

lionsfan81
02-11-2007, 06:32 PM
My Bears Offseason

1) Give Grossman time, hes young he needs better mechanics and mroe field time - no pursuit of new QB

2) No extension for jones, Trade em if we can, Rbs can be found on the streets

3) Franchise Briggs, hes good but not worht he money, worst case scenario we have him for another year, best case is we have more picks to potentially move up or draft his replacement

4) Pursue Steinbach, need OL youth, could be versatile enough to play guard or tackle

5) Pursue Daniel Graham good blocking TE will let us use more 2 TE sets

6) I would like to get rid of Rivera, Hes prly a great coach, but really he cant adjust and isnt creative. I have nothing to back this up and could be a huge mistake losing him

Day one needs

OL: need youth hopefully a LT prospect so we can kick Miller out and move tait to RT

S: Mike Brown injury prone, impact safetys can change games

TE: someone well rounded, will help running and passing game

LB: depending what is going on with Briggs

Day 2

RB: someone to compliment Benson

TE: need a well rounded prospect

DL: always should be trying to imrpove

CB: added depth, doesnt seem RMJ can step in and take vashers or tillman's spot

I dont feel we need to address WR, I think we have 4 solid guys 3 of which havent hit their ceiling

I really would like a well rounded TE so we can run more 2 TE sets

I dont watch enough college football to talk about individual prospects, get all my information on players from websites

Thanks for listening guys Ive been coming here since Jan 05 i finally decided to register so i can post my ideas

Hurricane Ditka
02-11-2007, 09:21 PM
I'm conflicted, I don't want to type out a big response to that guys post, since I disagree with a lot of it, but I want to bump this thread.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
02-11-2007, 10:06 PM

You're misinformed. Angelo said that he thought Williams was the 3rd best WR in the draft and that he had no interest at him at #4.

I've heard conflicting reports on this..

I have heard he wasn't interested taking him at #4, but was seriously considering trading down and taking him lower.

Not a big deal now though.

Williams is absolutely terrible.

Hurricane Ditka
02-11-2007, 10:08 PM

I have heard he wasn't interested taking him at #4, but was seriously considering trading down and taking him lower.

Williams is absolutely terrible.I really need to ask, What the hell does your username mean?

lionsfan81
02-11-2007, 11:17 PM
I'm conflicted, I don't want to type out a big response to that guys post, since I disagree with a lot of it, but I want to bump this thread.

Do tell, I wanna know whats wrong with it

Bearsfan123
02-12-2007, 08:44 AM
My Bears Offseason

1) Give Grossman time, hes young he needs better mechanics and mroe field time - no pursuit of new QB- Agreed

2) No extension for jones, Trade em if we can, Rbs can be found on the streets-I agree with the trading, but only because I think Jones can still be a starter

3) Franchise Briggs, hes good but not worht he money, worst case scenario we have him for another year, best case is we have more picks to potentially move up or draft his replacement-Agreed

4) Pursue Steinbach, need OL youth, could be versatile enough to play guard or tackle-No too much money

5) Pursue Daniel Graham good blocking TE will let us use more 2 TE sets-Im unsure on this one. Grahams no spring chicken.

6) I would like to get rid of Rivera, Hes prly a great coach, but really he cant adjust and isnt creative. I have nothing to back this up and could be a huge mistake losing him-I actually agree

Day one needs

OL: need youth hopefully a LT prospect so we can kick Miller out and move tait to RT-Yes but no kicking Miller out (A guy like Ugoh, Staley, or Sears)

S: Mike Brown injury prone, impact safetys can change games-Yes (Mike Griffin, Wendling, Johnson, Weddle)

TE: someone well rounded, will help running and passing game-Agreed (Patrick, Chandler, Miller)

LB: depending what is going on with Briggs-Either way (Simpson, Durant, Alexander, Siler, Everett)

Day 2

RB: someone to compliment Benson- (Walker, Booker)

TE: need a well rounded prospect

DL: always should be trying to imrpove-Yeah, only slightly (Thomas maybe very late)

CB: added depth, doesnt seem RMJ can step in and take vashers or tillman's spot-Naa not this draft

I dont feel we need to address WR, I think we have 4 solid guys 3 of which havent hit their ceiling-I think we can get a guy like Laurent Robinson late and then we could get rid of Gage.

I really would like a well rounded TE so we can run more 2 TE sets-I like it

I dont watch enough college football to talk about individual prospects, get all my information on players from websites

Thanks for listening guys Ive been coming here since Jan 05 i finally decided to register so i can post my ideas

Bearsfan123
02-12-2007, 11:10 AM
i just read this article in SI and im now furious. Rex Grossman should drop the pansy attitude go to the podium before next season and say something like this

"Yeah im tired of hearing how bad I am, no matter what I do, so listen up. Im going after all the passing records this year, im going to lead this team to 19-0 and win the Super Bowl. Im going after the MVP award, the Super Bowl MVP and any passing records that are there. Just so at the Super Bowl press conference I can take out all the articles you wrote about me last year, and throw them at your feet and ask you what you ll say now? Thats all."

NYmoney
02-12-2007, 12:29 PM
i just read this article in SI and im now furious. Rex Grossman should drop the pansy attitude go to the podium before next season and say something like this

"Yeah im tired of hearing how bad I am, no matter what I do, so listen up. Im going after all the passing records this year, im going to lead this team to 19-0 and win the Super Bowl. Im going after the MVP award, the Super Bowl MVP and any passing records that are there. Just so at the Super Bowl press conference I can take out all the articles you wrote about me last year, and throw them at your feet and ask you what you ll say now? Thats all."

sure. dream on. rex doesn't want more heat by saying something like that. it's worse enough that he called the media ignorant before playing like crap on the biggest stage in the US sporting field.

aic4ever
02-12-2007, 12:46 PM
That would be Rex's very own personal Matt Hasselbeck moment. "We want the ball and we're gonna win!" :lol:

NYmoney
02-12-2007, 12:47 PM
That would be Rex's very own personal Matt Hasselbeck moment. "We want the ball and we're gonna win!" :lol:

LOL. that was great. :lol:

evershot
02-12-2007, 01:16 PM
I've just been asked a very interesting question by a co worker. So I'll ask you the question as well.

If Troy Smith is available in the 4th round when the Bears draft do you draft him?

VoteLynnSwan
02-12-2007, 01:25 PM
I've just been asked a very interesting question by a co worker. So I'll ask you the question as well.

If Troy Smith is available in the 4th round when the Bears draft do you draft him?

i don't think there's any chance he's available in the 4th round... and at that point he'd likely be the BPA... so yes.

aic4ever
02-12-2007, 01:34 PM

i don't think there's any chance he's available in the 4th round... and at that point he'd likely be the BPA... so yes.
You would have to imagine he'd be just as good, if not better than the last OSU quarterback you guys had. Maybe Smith could even go 3-0 as a starter sometime too! :roll:

VoteLynnSwan
02-12-2007, 02:30 PM

You would have to imagine he'd be just as good, if not better than the last OSU quarterback you guys had. Maybe Smith could even go 3-0 as a starter sometime too! :roll:

i really don't understand your point here... you wouldn't take Smith in the 4th round?

bearsfan_51
02-12-2007, 04:10 PM

Williams is absolutely terrible.
Well I do know that in an offseason interview he did with chicagobears.com he specifically said that he thought Mike Williams was the 3rd best reciever in the draft (one would assume behind Edwards and Williamson) so I doubt we were very high on him, if at all.

The Unseen
02-12-2007, 08:38 PM
Marty fired...Ron Rivera isn't out of the woods, yet.

Smokey Joe
02-12-2007, 09:10 PM
Bears should do everything in their power to get Marty as their OC... :twisted:

Hurricane Ditka
02-12-2007, 09:25 PM
Bears should do everything in their power to get Marty as their OC... :twisted:Marty didn't actually do any offensive coaching last year.

Smokey Joe
02-12-2007, 09:36 PM
Bears should do everything in their power to get Marty as their OC... :twisted:Marty didn't actually do any offensive coaching last year.
he'd still be better then Turner.

Hurricane Ditka
02-12-2007, 09:48 PM
he'd still be better then Turner.Not really.

Hurricane Ditka
02-12-2007, 09:49 PM
We need to put together a draft board, we can wait till after free agency, we also need to see what we could fetch for Briggs, or Jones.

bearsfan_51
02-13-2007, 11:46 AM
Marty fired...Ron Rivera isn't out of the woods, yet.
Who cares? I hope he leaves.

Bearsfan123
02-13-2007, 01:17 PM
We need to put together a draft board, we can wait till after free agency, we also need to see what we could fetch for Briggs, or Jones.

I agree. Jones-prob a 4th at tops but most likely a fifth.
Briggs-2nd highest, but 3rd is more likely

Draft Board:1 Levi Brown OT
2 Michael Griffin SS
3 Arron Sears OT
4 Joe Staley OT
5John Wendling SS
6 Rufus Alexander OLB

Snaznits
02-13-2007, 02:05 PM
I know Grossman is our QB but can we please get a better backupQB than Griese! I just want a QB that we can but in the Game when or if grossman gets hurt ya now just in case! I say we should go for Drew Stanton! It's probably a bad idea but for the most part I just Want a TE, DT, Safety, OT, and maybe a WR!

bearsfan_51
02-13-2007, 02:25 PM
I know Grossman is our QB but can we please get a better backupQB than Griese! I just want a QB that we can but in the Game when or if grossman gets hurt ya now just in case! I say we should go for Drew Stanton! It's probably a bad idea but for the most part I just Want a TE, DT, Safety, OT, and maybe a WR!
Brian Griese is one of the best backup QBs in the NFL and is better than anyone else available.

bearsfan_51
02-13-2007, 02:26 PM

Just keep Jones and Briggs.

Hurricane Ditka
02-13-2007, 03:20 PM

2 Michael Griffin SS
3 Arron Sears OT
4 Joe Staley OT
5John Wendling SS
6 Rufus Alexander OLBWendling and Alexander aren't first round prospects.

Hurricane Ditka
02-13-2007, 03:44 PM
We got Steinbach in the forum mock. So that's cool. I'm not giving up my stance that we should draft a potential left tackle early. No decision on Ruben Brown though, we lost Scott and Boone, so DT bumps up a tiny bit for me.

Smokey Joe
02-13-2007, 05:40 PM
We got Steinbach in the forum mock. So that's cool. I'm not giving up my stance that we should draft a potential left tackle early. No decision on Ruben Brown though, we lost Scott and Boone, so DT bumps up a tiny bit for me.
Well, I'm not surprised we lost Scott. He was a sought after free agent, there weren't much articles if any supporting our case, and we do have decent depth at DT. I'm not surprised we got Steinbach either. I gave WARD a hell of a reason and there were many links supporting my case.

I will be shocked as hell if we don't get Brown either. I found plenty articles about how he loves Chicago and how we want him to stay, etc... If we don't get him, I'll kill myself.

sweetness34
02-13-2007, 09:50 PM
We franchised Briggs right?

Edit: In the forum mock...

Bearsfan123
02-13-2007, 10:51 PM

2 Michael Griffin SS
3 Arron Sears OT
4 Joe Staley OT
5John Wendling SS
6 Rufus Alexander OLBWendling and Alexander aren't first round prospects.

I wasnt saying they were. They were just guys in order I think they should go after. (Note: I never finished, it was just a beginning)

Smokey Joe
02-13-2007, 11:21 PM
for the forum mock... pretty damn good eh 8)
--------------------------------------------------------------
http://media.suntimes.com/images/cds/cst_logo_353_2.gif
One Gained, One Lost, and One Pending

BY BRAD BIGGS Staff Reporter

The Bears have signed their main target this offseason, Eric Steinbach. Steinbach, a former graduate of Providence Catholic High School in New Leonox, IL, was signed by the Bears today. The terms of the deal are still undisclosed, but it is reportedly for 6 years.

Eric Steinbach is from around Chicago and has always been a Bear fan. Drafted by the Bengals in the 2nd round of 2003 Draft out of Iowa, Steinbach quiclky become one of the best OG's in all of football. Things did not go well with Cincinnati concerning his contract, and he made it a priority to at least meet with the Bears. We called Steinbach ealier, and this is what he had to say.

"I am very excited to come back and play for my home town!" Steinbach said sounding extremely excited. "I spoke with my friends and family, and they're all very excited. We all were big Bears fans. I had a great talk with Lovie Smith and Jerry Angelo, and they assured me that this is the place I wanted to be. It was a no brainer really. I am excited to be able to play for a team as good as the Bears are. I am thankful for everything the Bengals have done for me and they will always be a part of me, but this is the place I want to be."

Steinbach's number with the Bengals was 65, the reverse from the 56 he wore in College, but he has agreed to wear the number 70. We asked him why.

"Well, team veteran Pat Mannelly had that number, and he has been with the Bears for a long time now and is a captain" Steinbach said, "I wouldn't feal right taking his number."
http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/2889/steinbachxs1.jpg
If you recall, Alfonso Boone used to have the number 70, but he was signed by the Saints earlier today. The Bears were interested in bringing him back, but decided to go younger and either attempt to resign Ian Scott or draft someone. But it looks like they will be drafting someone as Ian Scott turned down the Bears offer for more playing time and signed with the Rams.

"I loved Chicago," Scott said. "But I felt I wouldn't get much playing time there. With Tank, Tommie, and Dusty, they're all really talented players. Chicago will always hold a special place in my heart, but St. Louis is where I feel I can prove myself as a top DT and get the playing time I deserve."

The Bears are also waiting to here from Ruben Brown. Reportedly, the Bears have made a contract offer to Ruben Brown. Brown has been a leader on the Bears OL the past two seasons and is comming off a probowl year, his 9th ever. It is likely he will either re-sign with the Bear or retire, but early reports indicate he wants to give it another go for the championship. If he is re-signed, the Bears will have several options on what to do with the OL.

bbiggs@suntimes.com

sweetness34
02-13-2007, 11:35 PM
Dude I actually thought that was serious until I read the top. Well done sir.

Smokey Joe
02-13-2007, 11:45 PM
Dude I actually thought that was serious until I read the top. Well done sir.
what can I say? I rock, plain and simple :D

Snaznits
02-14-2007, 05:04 AM
Brian Griese is one of the best backup QBs in the NFL and is better than anyone else available.Fine if you say so :| But not playin for a year can make a difference but whatever I just hope people stop callin him sexy rexy and that he becomes invincible!

NYmoney
02-14-2007, 09:55 AM
Brian Griese is one of the best backup QBs in the NFL and is better than anyone else available.Fine if you say so :| But not playin for a year can make a difference but whatever I just hope people stop callin him sexy rexy and that he becomes invincible!

Griese the best backup??? NOPE. not even close to Schaub. wrong. wrong. wrong.

sweetness34
02-14-2007, 10:11 AM

Schaub is the most overrated player in the NFL. Griese is a proven QB in this league. Schaub has proven nothing more than to be a bunch of hype.

So I'd say you're wrong.

Snaznits
02-14-2007, 12:37 PM

Schaub is the most overrated player in the NFL. Griese is a proven QB in this league. Schaub has proven nothing more than to be a bunch of hype.

So I'd say you're wrong.Isn't the best Back up Garcia now? He manage the eagles well this year! :? Griese played like when, against the packers and sucked but that wasn't a much needed game. Other than that I think I saw him in preseason!

bearsfan_51
02-14-2007, 12:51 PM

I'm really getting tired of your inability to read. I said one of the best. This means that there are multiple options, with him not necessarily being the best.

This is not even close to the first time this has happened. You like to make definitive statements about how everyone is wrong but you don't even take the 5 seconds and 2 brain cells to actually read a post and think about it. I have no problem with other people having opinions but at least try to not be such a recklass tard. It's quite annoying and part of the reason nobody likes you.

NYmoney
02-14-2007, 03:12 PM

I'm really getting tired of your inability to read. I said one of the best. This means that there are multiple options, with him not necessarily being the best.

This is not even close to the first time this has happened. You like to make definitive statements about how everyone is wrong but you don't even take the 5 seconds and 2 brain cells to actually read a post and think about it. I have no problem with other people having opinions but at least try to not be such a recklass tard. It's quite annoying and part of the reason nobody likes you.

First and foremost, learn to spell, or let Webster's know that recklass is a new addition to the English language. Secondly, I don't give a **** if any of you like me. Couldn't care less. So stop letting me know what you think; i don't care.

As for Griese, there must be a reason why we didn't see more of him. There must be a reason why Lovie said Rex was "clearly the better qb in practice," and I'm not surprised that quote didn't include any specific comment on Griese's play.

In summary, 1. piss off with your examination of people liking other people. I'm not here to have a friend. 2. I'd rather communicate with intelligent people that don't waste hours a day on this site.

NYmoney
02-14-2007, 03:13 PM
Furthermore, Schaub will be a top 10 qb in the 2007 season. Griese isn't a top 20 qb, and he never has been.

Smokey Joe
02-14-2007, 04:14 PM
we lost out in Ruben Brown... :(

bearfan
02-14-2007, 04:28 PM
Furthermore, Schaub will be a top 10 qb in the 2007 season. Griese isn't a top 20 qb, and he never has been.

I wouldnt trade a 1st rounder for Shaub

NYmoney
02-14-2007, 04:33 PM

depends which 1st rounder i am trading away. low first round, and my team is detroit (yes, i understand the inherent paradox). I would trade away pick 25 or so.

Snaznits
02-14-2007, 04:33 PM
we lost out in Ruben Brown... :(Damn So Steinbach!

Snaznits
02-14-2007, 04:37 PM

First and foremost, learn to spell, or let Webster's know that recklass is a new addition to the English language. Secondly, I don't give a *********** if any of you like me. Couldn't care less. So stop letting me know what you think; i don't care.

As for Griese, there must be a reason why we didn't see more of him. There must be a reason why Lovie said Rex was "clearly the better qb in practice," and I'm not surprised that quote didn't include any specific comment on Griese's play.

In summary, 1. piss off with your examination of people liking other people. I'm not here to have a friend. 2. I'd rather communicate with intelligent people that don't waste hours a day on this site.Um, I think lovie wanted to keep Grossman in so he can get some good Reps and learn the game and get up to speed so Rex can reach his potential!

Snaznits
02-14-2007, 04:39 PM

depends which 1st rounder i am trading away. low first round, and my team is detroit (yes, i understand the inherent paradox). I would trade away pick 25 or so.Why Would Schaub Ever be Traded for A 1st rounder! He good but he's no Drew brees!

NYmoney
02-14-2007, 04:48 PM

depends which 1st rounder i am trading away. low first round, and my team is detroit (yes, i understand the inherent paradox). I would trade away pick 25 or so.Why Would Schaub Ever be Traded for A 1st rounder! He good but he's no Drew brees!

Look how good Schaub is already, and he has so little experience that it's laughable. He will be a great QB this year.

Snaznits
02-14-2007, 04:59 PM

Look how good Schaub is already, and he has so little experience that it's laughable. He will be a great QB this year.I say good but not Great he Started one game and had 4 tds in that game but I don't remember who it was but I think It was the Bucs and they sucked this year!

VoteLynnSwan
02-14-2007, 06:43 PM

we lost Ruben in the forum mock... not in reality.

bearsfan_51
02-14-2007, 08:45 PM
:lol:

I probably have more degrees than you have letters in your name. But yeah...intelligent..good one.

If you'd rather do that then do so. I don't think anyone wants you posting here anyway.

Hurricane Ditka
02-14-2007, 08:54 PM

I probably have more degrees than you have letters in your name. But yeah...intelligent..good one.

If you'd rather do that then do so. I don't think anyone wants you posting here anyway.I have 30 letters in my name. I win.

pellepelle_10
02-14-2007, 09:31 PM

Look how good Schaub is already, and he has so little experience that it's laughable. He will be a great QB this year.

!?!?!?!?!?!

bearsfan_51
02-14-2007, 10:01 PM

If you'd rather do that then do so. I don't think anyone wants you posting here anyway.I have 30 letters in my name. I win.
Are you Polish or Slavic? In which case, history shows that you never win. :wink:

Snaznits
02-14-2007, 10:15 PM

Are you Polish or Slavic? In which case, history shows that you never win. :wink:Burn!!!!!! :D

Snaznits
02-14-2007, 10:15 PM

we lost Ruben in the forum mock... not in reality.Yay! :D

Hurricane Ditka
02-14-2007, 10:18 PM

Are you Polish or Slavic? In which case, history shows that you never win. :wink:Greek, and history shows we invented everything important.

VoteLynnSwan
02-14-2007, 10:37 PM

Are you Polish or Slavic? In which case, history shows that you never win. :wink:Greek, and history shows we invented everything important.

you've been watching too much of My Big Fat Greek Wedding...

Hurricane Ditka
02-15-2007, 06:54 AM

you've been watching too much of My Big Fat Greek Wedding...Democracy, astronomy, trignometry, geometry etc etc

NYmoney
02-15-2007, 08:30 AM

you've been watching too much of My Big Fat Greek Wedding...Democracy, astronomy, trignometry, geometry etc etc

We invented everything...except for the internet. That was Al Gore.

NYmoney
02-15-2007, 08:31 AM

If you'd rather do that then do so. I don't think anyone wants you posting here anyway.

Reminder: I couldn't care less what you think. I'm not here to make friends with you or anyone else.

bearsfan_51
02-15-2007, 08:48 AM

Reminder: I couldn't care less what you think. I'm not here to make friends with you or anyone else.
Right, and that's fine. I could care less why you're here. Just learn to ******* read before you critisize everyone and everything and things will be kosher. That was my whole point in the first place till you got into a flame fest cause I put an a where I should have put an e. If not, that's fine too, but you'll continue to come off like a jackass (and trust me you do). I'm sure you don't care about that either as that's likely become a charming aspect of your personality. Maybe you don't care about daily hygiene or any other aspects of common courtesy either.

Bearsfan123
02-15-2007, 09:23 AM

Look how good Schaub is already, and he has so little experience that it's laughable. He will be a great QB this year.I say good but not Great he Started one game and had 4 tds in that game but I don't remember who it was but I think It was the Bucs and they sucked this year!

My problem is how many games has he won?

And if I remember correctly a guy by the name of Craig Krenzel came in and threw for 3 tds. Dear God he must be the best backup QB in the league!!! :roll: So that point is completely bunk.

NYmoney
02-15-2007, 10:16 AM

Right, and that's fine. I could care less why you're here. Just learn to *********** read before you critisize everyone and everything and things will be kosher. That was my whole point in the first place till you got into a flame fest cause I put an a where I should have put an e. If not, that's fine too, but you'll continue to come off like a jackass (and trust me you do). I'm sure you don't care about that either as that's likely become a charming aspect of your personality. Maybe you don't care about daily hygiene or any other aspects of common courtesy either.

Critisize?? Way to prove a point by once again misspelling a crucial "wurd." I'm glad those degrees are paying off for you. I'm more than happy with my two, and looks like you should have done better than a C in English 101.

All is kosher as long as you stick to sports. Outside of that, I don't care what you think. Seriously.

NYmoney
02-15-2007, 10:20 AM

My problem is how many games has he won?

And if I remember correctly a guy by the name of Craig Krenzel came in and threw for 3 tds. Dear God he must be the best backup QB in the league!!! :roll: So that point is completely bunk.

First of all, an anomolous situation should not be the lynchpin for this comparison. Secondly, Krenzel was a 6th round pick, Schaub was not. Thirdly, Krenzel was never mentioned as a potential franchise QB. Krenzel said after the draft that he had to contact his med school to delay his acceptance. Fourth, if we want to talk about flashes in the pan, then that's fine: Fitzpatrick, Henson, etc. However, people have been big on Schaub for quite some time. Therefore, he should not be classified in with those losers.

bearsfan_51
02-15-2007, 11:14 AM
People are big on Schaub because he's an unknown and he's behind a QB that everyone likes to rag on. People were really high on David Garrard too untill he actually played more than one or two games at a time.

Craig Krenzel was a 5th round pick by the way, and Schaub was a 3rd rounder, so it's not like either guy was all that highly thought of. Either way, that's a rather mute point.

It's all pointless anyway. It's not going to happen and you should know that. Our QB's next year will be Grossman/Griese. Anything else is just wishful thinking on your part.

NYmoney
02-15-2007, 11:37 AM
People are big on Schaub because he's an unknown and he's behind a QB that everyone likes to rag on. People were really high on David Garrard too untill he actually played more than one or two games at a time.

Craig Krenzel was a 5th round pick by the way, and Schaub was a 3rd rounder, so it's not like either guy was all that highly thought of. Either way, that's a rather mute point.

It's all pointless anyway. It's not going to happen and you should know that. Our QB's next year will be Grossman/Griese. Anything else is just wishful thinking on your part.

I never wrote that Schaub would be the next Bears' QB. What did you write about learning to read other posters comments before commenting? Pot...kettle...black.

Snaznits
02-15-2007, 11:40 AM

It's all pointless anyway. It's not going to happen and you should know that. Our QB's next year will be Grossman/Griese. Anything else is just wishful thinking on your part.Nice Rebuttal! I Applaud you for that sir! It's apparent that Bearfan51 is smarter than NY and I would now like this debate to end and think about a realistic situation in which Da bears can obtain a good player fitting for them in the Draft or free agency that isn't a quarterback because we all know they aren't going to get one!

bearsfan_51
02-15-2007, 11:55 AM

I never wrote that Schaub would be the next Bears' QB. What did you write about learning to read other posters comments before commenting? Pot...kettle...black.
I never said you did. I said it's a pointless conversation because there is no chance it's going to happen.

Snaznits
02-15-2007, 11:59 AM

I never said you did. I said it's a pointless conversation because there is no chance it's going to happen.Key word!

sweetness34
02-15-2007, 12:15 PM

So I'd say you're wrong.Isn't the best Back up Garcia now? He manage the eagles well this year! :? Griese played like when, against the packers and sucked but that wasn't a much needed game. Other than that I think I saw him in preseason!

When did I say which QB was the best? Please show me. I was comparing Schaub to Griese and how Brian is a proven QB in this league. Sure he's not great but he's solid. No one knows how good Schaub is, so therefore Griese is the better QB RIGHT NOW.

You can't call someone a great backup if they've never taken the field. It'd be just like me saying Aaron Rodgers is one of the best backups in the NFL because he's got talent.

And 51 is right, Brian is one of the best backups in the league. I mean just look at our division alone. Minny has Bollinger, Green Bay has Rodgers, and Detroit has McCown. Griese is hands down the best backup in our division and he's one of the best in the NFL.

NYmoney
02-15-2007, 12:41 PM

When did I say which QB was the best? Please show me. I was comparing Schaub to Griese and how Brian is a proven QB in this league. Sure he's not great but he's solid. No one knows how good Schaub is, so therefore Griese is the better QB RIGHT NOW.

You can't call someone a great backup if they've never taken the field. It'd be just like me saying Aaron Rodgers is one of the best backups in the NFL because he's got talent.

And 51 is right, Brian is one of the best backups in the league. I mean just look at our division alone. Minny has Bollinger, Green Bay has Rodgers, and Detroit has McCown. Griese is hands down the best backup in our division and he's one of the best in the NFL.

Schuab did take the field. so he is relatively proven. He's only 3 years in the league, so his room to grow is evident. i think you all will be proven wrong in due time.

sweetness34
02-15-2007, 12:48 PM

Schuab did take the field. so he is relatively proven. He's only 3 years in the league, so his room to grow is evident. i think you all will be proven wrong in due time.

What in 3 games? I'm talking about consistent playing time my friend. Not spot starts.

sweetness34
02-15-2007, 12:52 PM
....And also, how can we be proven wrong here? You're saying Schaub is one of the best backup QB's in the league, we're saying he hasn't proven anything to get that praise. I'm not saying he won't be a good QB, because yes, he has talent but in 3 starts you cannot call him a good QB.

I never said Schaub was a bad player or that he didn't have any talent. What I did say however is that he's unproven. 3 starts doesn't mean ****. I want to see him play a full NFL season before I pass a grade on him.

And because of this you can't say he's better than Griese. He may have more talent than Griese but he's not a better QB. Because Brian has started many games in the NFL in his tenure and he's proven himself to be a more than capable Quarterback.

NYmoney
02-15-2007, 01:10 PM
....And also, how can we be proven wrong here? You're saying Schaub is one of the best backup QB's in the league, we're saying he hasn't proven anything to get that praise. I'm not saying he won't be a good QB, because yes, he has talent but in 3 starts you cannot call him a good QB.

I never said Schaub was a bad player or that he didn't have any talent. What I did say however is that he's unproven. 3 starts doesn't mean ***********. I want to see him play a full NFL season before I pass a grade on him.

And because of this you can't say he's better than Griese. He may have more talent than Griese but he's not a better QB. Because Brian has started many games in the NFL in his tenure and he's proven himself to be a more than capable Quarterback.

sweetness, these are good points, but for the reasons I have outlined earlier, I believe otherwise.

Anyway, let's move this thread along. What is everyone thinking about Rivera to SD?

Snaznits
02-15-2007, 01:30 PM

And 51 is right, Brian is one of the best backups in the league. I mean just look at our division alone. Minny has Bollinger, Green Bay has Rodgers, and Detroit has McCown. Griese is hands down the best backup in our division and he's one of the best in the NFL.They all suck! Of course Griese is better! That's a Given!

sweetness34
02-15-2007, 01:32 PM

And 51 is right, Brian is one of the best backups in the league. I mean just look at our division alone. Minny has Bollinger, Green Bay has Rodgers, and Detroit has McCown. Griese is hands down the best backup in our division and he's one of the best in the NFL.They all suck! Of course Griese is better! That's a Given!

This arugment is pointless then. Griese is one of the better backups in the league, and if you can't see that, then I don't know what to say.

Snaznits
02-15-2007, 01:34 PM

I never said Schaub was a bad player or that he didn't have any talent. What I did say however is that he's unproven. 3 starts doesn't mean ***********. I want to see him play a full NFL season before I pass a grade on him.

sweetness, these are good points, but for the reasons I have outlined earlier, I believe otherwise.

Anyway, let's move this thread along. What is everyone thinking about Rivera to SD?I Don't care if he goes or not I just want a Good DT and a Good saftey!

NYmoney
02-15-2007, 01:34 PM

of course they suck. that's why they're all backups on bad teams. to pick and choose only underlines the fundamental purpose of a backup.

sweetness34
02-15-2007, 01:51 PM

Anyway, let's move this thread along. What is everyone thinking about Rivera to SD?I Don't care if he goes or not I just want a Good DT and a Good saftey!

I'd rather have a good safety and a good OL myself. We have to wait on Tank to see what happens and we've got DD coming back along with Garay I believe. OLB is more important than DT RIGHT NOW.

IMO our two most pressing needs are SS and OL.

NYmoney
02-15-2007, 01:54 PM

I'd rather have a good safety and a good OL myself. We have to wait on Tank to see what happens and we've got DD coming back along with Garay I believe. OLB is more important than DT RIGHT NOW.

SS=#1. I would love to see us trade up to get Mikeeeyyyy Griffffff

sweetness34
02-15-2007, 01:58 PM

SS=#1. I would love to see us trade up to get Mikeeeyyyy Griffffff

I think it depends on value personally. I'd take Griff in a heartbeat, although I have my doubts that he'll be there. I'd also take Staley or Sears and smile with glee.

Either one in the first would work for me. Or draft BPA if a guy falls (cough Jarrett cough). :D

NYmoney
02-15-2007, 02:06 PM
what would you trade away, with the first rounder, to get a mid round 1st and griffff in that spot.

bearsfan_51
02-15-2007, 02:29 PM
At this point we may not have to trade much, or if we do it will be similar to how the Steelers traded up to #25 to take Santonio Holmes last year. I think they gave up a 3rd rounder to make the move.

NYmoney
02-15-2007, 02:39 PM
I don't think I would trade away Jones and my first rounder for say 16-20. He's still got this year left in his legs, and after this year, we would get some sort of compensation draft pick.

Hurricane Ditka
02-15-2007, 03:14 PM
I don't think I would trade away Jones and my first rounder for say 16-20. He's still got this year left in his legs, and after this year, we would get some sort of compensation draft pick.You only get compensation when players leave via free agency. If we let Briggs walk we'll probably get the 97th or 98th pick as compensation depending on what happens with Adalius Thomas.

evershot
02-15-2007, 03:34 PM
what would you trade away, with the first rounder, to get a mid round 1st and griffff in that spot.

Why is everybody so worried that Griffin wouldn't be there at 31? Only once in NFL history were three safeties ever drafted in round 1.

That was in 2002 the three safeties were Roy Williams, Ed Reed and Mike Rumph.

Chances are that with Griffin being the third rated Safety he'll be there at 31.

NYmoney
02-15-2007, 03:49 PM

Why is everybody so worried that Griffin wouldn't be there at 31? Only once in NFL history were three safeties ever drafted in round 1.

That was in 2002 the three safeties were Roy Williams, Ed Reed and Mike Rumph.

Chances are that with Griffin being the third rated Safety he'll be there at 31.

Scouts say he could be a CB. That's why. His versatility.