PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Bears Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15

Hurricane Ditka
03-07-2007, 04:10 PM
Well do you guys want me to ax it? I like having a general topic, and don't want topics about every little move the Bears make. I can either delete this topic or sticky it.

Smokey Joe
03-07-2007, 05:49 PM
Well do you guys want me to ax it? I like having a general topic, and don't want topics about every little move the Bears make. I can either delete this topic or sticky it.

I want you to die! :)...

;)

Hurricane Ditka
03-07-2007, 07:43 PM
I want you to die! :)...

;)Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.

KBear
03-07-2007, 09:22 PM
I'm for keeping this, but getting rid of some of the others.

Hurricane Ditka
03-09-2007, 03:34 PM
Larry: In two recent mock drafts I’ve read, the Bears are projected to pick Miami tight end Greg Olsen and Penn State linebacker Paul Posluszny with the 31st overall pick. Who do you feel the Bears will select with their first-round pick?
Kevin M.
Westfield, Massachusetts
Kevin: I’m not trying to avoid the question, but given the fact that the Bears don’t pick until No. 31, it’s almost impossible to forecast who will be on the board that late in the first round. I’m pretty sure that Greg Olsen will be long gone by that point, but I do think that Olsen and Paul Posluszny are among several players that could interest the Bears in the first round. Having acquired the 37th pick from the New York Jets in the Thomas Jones trade, the Bears seemingly now have enough ammunition to move up in the first round via a trade if that’s what they want to do.

Even though it's not likely could Larry Mayer know something? I think trading up is a definite possibility, especially since Jerry and Lovie have job security, taking a risk like that might be likely than we thought. With Brady Quinn's stock in question, I'd love to see us package 31 or 37 and Lance Briggs to move up. I wouldn't want to give both of our early picks up. But a team like Buffalo at 12, or Washington (who always seems to do something stupid) at 6 and nab the Quinnster, both of whom could use defensive help couldn't they? The Rams are also a possibility, if Quinn or Landry fall that far.

bearsfan_51
03-09-2007, 03:44 PM
The problem is that we need to simply replace bodies. As it looks if we resign none of our guys (which is a possibility) we'll need to replace 8 guys minimum that were on the active roster last year. That's not even taking into account injuries and the fact that 7th round guys often don't even make the active roster.

Our biggest concern right now, IMO, is depth, not acquiring a blue chip talent. We've got enough stars to build around more or less, we need to make sure we have the infrastructure to compliment them.

Hurricane Ditka
03-09-2007, 04:09 PM
That's true. It depends o what approach they want to take. I think we've got another 1st or very early second round pick coming from the Briggs situation. So we have the ammunition, and arguably the incentive to move up for a blue-chip quarterback. If we can't resign Brown, we'll need to go offensive line early. A guy with versatility is ideal. Either someone who can play tackle and guard like Joe Staley, or someone that can play guard and center like Ryan Kalil, or Justin Blalock.

SFbear
03-09-2007, 05:34 PM
That's true. It depends o what approach they want to take. I think we've got another 1st or very early second round pick coming from the Briggs situation. So we have the ammunition, and arguably the incentive to move up for a blue-chip quarterback. If we can't resign Brown, we'll need to go offensive line early. A guy with versatility is ideal. Either someone who can play tackle and guard like Joe Staley, or someone that can play guard and center like Ryan Kalil, or Justin Blalock.

I really think Metcalf will replace Brown, and then Tyler Reed will be OG depth. I don't think we will go OG early unless the value is exceptional.

Hurricane Ditka
03-09-2007, 05:55 PM
I don't think Reed, or Metcalf are really good long term solutions. Metcalf isn't athletic enough to effectively pull, I watched his ass fall into the whole when he pulled all last season. If Metcalf and Garza are our starters, we've got no depth at center. If Kruetz goes down do you really want Anthony Oakley or whoever starting? Kalil, Blalock, Sears, Grubbs, could all step in and start at guard from Day 1 next season. And a guy like Staley could step in and start at guard, while preparing to move outside to tackle. Ruben Brown was a very very good guard, and replacing a player of his caliber with Terrance Metcalf would be a serious blow to our offensive line.

Smokey Joe
03-09-2007, 06:23 PM
I am very confident that Brown will return, and if he does so, there won't be any need for OG first day. The earliest would be a G/C tweener to replace Oakley.

Hurricane Ditka
03-09-2007, 06:46 PM
Tackle is still a definite need. I don't think waiting till 2008 is a good idea, because we want someone that will be ready to start in 2008. Miller is close to running out of gas, and Tait has problems with speed rushers.

Smokey Joe
03-09-2007, 08:39 PM
The thing is there is no good value in the draft for a future LT. I'd rather wait a year and get a really good prospect then reaching early in this years draft for just a decent prospect. And next years draft class is so much better at OT. It just isn't worth it this year.

Smokey Joe
03-09-2007, 08:41 PM
I read an article from a week ago how JA said how he was questioning himself by not drafting a TE last year... This WR class is stacked more then last years TE class was. And Justin Gage is likely to sign with the Titans. I really have a feeling that JA will take advantage of this years WR class...

Also, Cameron Worrell was signed by the Dolphins to a two year contract...

Hurricane Ditka
03-09-2007, 09:21 PM
Have our DT's signed anywhere yet?

As for WR vs TE. I think Sidney Rice will get loads of consideration at 31 and 37. He's got the size to create some match-up problems, that our other wide receivers can't do. Although Miller seems like a very Angelo like pick. Solid overall player, high floor, but high ceiling as well. If Angelo really wants to make up for not taking a TE last year, he's got the chance to do it at pick 37. Either with a possession receiver, or a guy like Zach Miller.

Another thought I just had is what if Angelo did both? He's added skill positions in the first and second round back to back before. With Cedric Benson and Mark Bradley. If we can get another pick from moving Briggs, I wouldn't really have a problem with 2 out of 3 of those picks being offensive skill positions. Although it's unlikely and the cards would have to fall just right for there to be no better options.

Windy
03-10-2007, 10:46 PM
in case you havent already heard, the packers will win the division and most likely win the nfc championship.

p.s. brett favre will win the mvp.

[/sarcasm]

pellepelle_10
03-10-2007, 10:56 PM

As for WR vs TE. I think Sidney Rice will get loads of consideration at 31 and 37. He's got the size to create some match-up problems, that our other wide receivers can't do. Although Miller seems like a very Angelo like pick. Solid overall player, high floor, but high ceiling as well. If Angelo really wants to make up for not taking a TE last year, he's got the chance to do it at pick 37. Either with a possession receiver, or a guy like Zach Miller.

Another thought I just had is what if Angelo did both? He's added skill positions in the first and second round back to back before. With Cedric Benson and Mark Bradley. If we can get another pick from moving Briggs, I wouldn't really have a problem with 2 out of 3 of those picks being offensive skill positions. Although it's unlikely and the cards would have to fall just right for there to be no better options.

No thanks on Sidney Rice. We don't need a poor mans Bernard Berrian. We need a guy who can consistently catch balls a la Steve Smith and Jason Hill. A solid route runner who can catch balls would be ideal. Not a so-called reject speedster who hasn't been consistent catching balls.

pellepelle_10
03-10-2007, 10:59 PM
Even though it's not likely could Larry Mayer know something? I think trading up is a definite possibility, especially since Jerry and Lovie have job security, taking a risk like that might be likely than we thought. With Brady Quinn's stock in question, I'd love to see us package 31 or 37 and Lance Briggs to move up. I wouldn't want to give both of our early picks up. But a team like Buffalo at 12, or Washington (who always seems to do something stupid) at 6 and nab the Quinnster, both of whom could use defensive help couldn't they? The Rams are also a possibility, if Quinn or Landry fall that far.

Personally I think Quinn is overrated. Who knows. Maybe I'm wrong. I just don't think he's as great as people make him out to be. I think we're better suited addressing Safety and OLB personally. I'd really like us to make a run at getting Willis if we traded up. That would be sweet.

RexGrossmans-cheesecake
03-11-2007, 10:08 PM
Personally I think Quinn is overrated. Who knows. Maybe I'm wrong. I just don't think he's as great as people make him out to be. I think we're better suited addressing Safety and OLB personally. I'd really like us to make a run at getting Willis if we traded up. That would be sweet.

Why would we need Quinn? Yeah sure, Grossman sucks, but by the time Quinn reaches his full potential Brian Urlacher and Kreutz would be....well.....old.

KBear
03-12-2007, 02:53 AM
I dont see Angelo trading up again, and I really dont see a QB in the first round for the Bears anyway. Maybe next year if Grossman does not get better and the Bears dont resign him.

Smokey Joe
03-12-2007, 07:20 PM

God, I hate you.

Damix
03-12-2007, 08:00 PM
Lance Briggs says he's prepared to sit out the 2007 season.
"I've played my last snap for them," he told FOXSports.com's Jay Glazer. "I'll never play another down for Chicago again. There are things I can do to make sure I'm fine financially." Briggs says he's looking for Brian Urlacher money. Trade rumors are likely to heat up as the draft nears.

Ouch........................

Hurricane Ditka
03-12-2007, 08:14 PM
God, I hate you.
Some sand stuck in your vag Smokey?

Vikes99ej
03-12-2007, 08:16 PM
Can anyone tell me anything positive about Ian Scott? I hear my Vikies are looking at him.

Hurricane Ditka
03-12-2007, 08:18 PM
Can anyone tell me anything positive about Ian Scott? I hear my Vikies are looking at him.
Solid, although unspectacular, he'll do what he has to do. A blue collar, lunch pail type guy, he'll do his job.

bearsfan_51
03-12-2007, 08:19 PM

He's a giant clog. He works hard. Seems like a good teamate and positive character guy. He's also worked with your D-line coach Karl Dunbar before.

He also kinda looks like Shreck, if that counts for anything.

I read the same article, and I'd be a little suprised if he went somewhere to be a permanent backup. Unless Fat Pat plans on retiring soon.

Vikes99ej
03-12-2007, 08:39 PM
I have heard that Pat Williams is in the last year of his contract, but I'm not sure... Just wondering.

regoob2
03-12-2007, 10:24 PM
Ouch........................

**** him, i hate briggs, I hope we can still get a 2nd, we have to trade him we cant let him sit out

Bearsfan123
03-12-2007, 11:14 PM
**** him, i hate briggs, I hope we can still get a 2nd, we have to trade him we cant let him sit out

frankly i no longer care. He sits, fine. Let him rot. He ll get good money next year by some team but no where near what hes looking for. Hes a pansy and not worth the time of day.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-12-2007, 11:22 PM
I will laugh if he sits out the year.

JA will just tag him again.

The little bit of increase would be no big deal since we didn't pay him for the season he sat out. :)

bearsfan_51
03-13-2007, 12:15 AM
I agree. **** 'em. I understand his situation. But I also don't ******* care.

KBear
03-13-2007, 07:42 AM
The only problem with putting the frachise tag on him again next offseason is that it would be a little harder to resign any combination of Berrian/Grossman/Tillman/Vasher not to mention trying to resign Harris. Because Bears would need to allocate $8+ mil of their cap space to briggs.

bearsfan_51
03-13-2007, 09:00 AM
The only problem with putting the frachise tag on him again next offseason is that it would be a little harder to resign any combination of Berrian/Grossman/Tillman/Vasher not to mention trying to resign Harris. Because Bears would need to allocate $8+ mil of their cap space to briggs.

That's only if he signs it. I'm sure it won't come to that anyway.

KBear
03-14-2007, 03:04 AM
If Grossman has a better year in 2007, he might be a bit hard to sign himself. Does anyone think that this will be his last year as a Bear?

BroadwayJoe10
03-22-2007, 08:44 PM
jets fan here, just wondering what you guys think of Michael Haynes...i know he was a former first rounder and then was released and the saints picked him up..whats your guys feelings on him?

bearsfan_51
03-22-2007, 08:47 PM
Depends on his health. He didn't play last year due to injuries. I think he could be a good role player if healthy. Are there rumors of the Jets sniffing around him or something?

Hurricane Ditka
03-22-2007, 08:55 PM
If Grossman has a better year in 2007, he might be a bit hard to sign himself. Does anyone think that this will be his last year as a Bear?
I don't think he's going anywhere.

Smokey Joe
03-22-2007, 08:57 PM

The only way he doesn't play with the Bears in 2008 is if he blows/gets injured in 07.

BroadwayJoe10
03-22-2007, 09:23 PM
Depends on his health. He didn't play last year due to injuries. I think he could be a good role player if healthy. Are there rumors of the Jets sniffing around him or something?

rotoworld.com just had the following "Jets signed DE Michael Haynes.
The former Bears first-round pick has the size to play end in a 3-4, but bounced around the league last season. He'll battle to make the team."

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-22-2007, 10:55 PM
What's the best possible scenario in your opinion for the Briggs situation?

Mine would be: He shuts his mouth this year and plays hard, next year JA tags him again, but agree's to trade him for a late first or even an early 2nd and everyone moves on.

I absolutely hate this years LB core.. I don't see any of the guys in this draft being a difference maker like Briggs is.. I would like to hold off for a year and maybe next year the LB group will be better..

Next years LB core has to be better than this years right?

Hurricane Ditka
03-22-2007, 11:44 PM
I like Scott's newest mock update. It addresses the offensive line (their haven't even been hints of Ruben returning for weeks, and he's old as dirt, add the fact that if Metcalf and Garza both start, niether of whom are very good, we'd have no depth at center or guard, all of this makes Grubbs a very good pick.), adds a pass catcher, so what if Miller ran a slow forty, he's still arguably the best TE on the field in this years draft. Harris is an alright pick, not terrible, but not great.

pellepelle_10
03-23-2007, 03:04 PM
I like Scott's newest mock update. It addresses the offensive line (their haven't even been hints of Ruben returning for weeks, and he's old as dirt, add the fact that if Metcalf and Garza both start, niether of whom are very good, we'd have no depth at center or guard, all of this makes Grubbs a very good pick.), adds a pass catcher, so what if Miller ran a slow forty, he's still arguably the best TE on the field in this years draft. Harris is an alright pick, not terrible, but not great.

Woohoo! we have the same draft selection as we did BEFORE the TJ trade!!! The TJ trade goes for nothing boys!! If this trade goes down we've received...yes...nothing for Thomas Jones. I would thank the Bears for selecting Miller who we could have slided all the way to the late 2nd (wasn't that our pick before trading TJ?) and selected in the first place. Again..we trade Thomas Jones for nothing if this goes down. If this is the case..the Bears blew it. We could have at least gained another 3rd round pick for him.

Hurricane Ditka
03-23-2007, 03:09 PM
Woohoo! we have the same draft selection as we did BEFORE the TJ trade!!! The TJ trade goes for nothing boys!! If this trade goes down we've received...yes...nothing for Thomas Jones. I would thank the Bears for selecting Miller who we could have slided all the way to the late 2nd (wasn't that our pick before trading TJ?) and selected in the first place. Again..we trade Thomas Jones for nothing if this goes down. If this is the case..the Bears blew it. We could have at least gained another 3rd round pick for him. Who do you suggest we pick there. Another safety? A DT who won't have any more experience or talent than what we already have? Come up with something better.

pellepelle_10
03-23-2007, 03:16 PM
Who do you suggest we pick there. Another safety? A DT who won't have any more experience or talent than what we already have? Come up with something better.

Again..its value..you don't trade a player you could have received another pick for to move up and select the SAME PEOPLE you could have had in the first place. How stupid does that sound? What was the trade worth then? Teams don't trade to not get a benefit. Our management is smarter than that and if you think they're going to do something this crazy I'm laughing at you. Seriously. This draft sucks bigtime as Smokey also said. There are many depth concerned positions. TE to me isn't a MAJOR one. Unless we sign a FA or get Ian Scott back DT is a concern, OLB is definatelly a concern, Safety is a concern if Manning moves. CB could be a concern if Manning doesn't move. There are top end WR's we can get in the 1st day that could help. TE to me is back on this list. The key in drafting a player is getting him in a spot that benefits your team most. Not selecting him higher than he's supposed to go screwing yourself out of getting additional talent. This is what that draft says to me. Select 2 guys that we could have selected if we never even traded TJ. Do you REALLY think Chicago is going to do this? I beg to differ on that one my friend. Especially when they could have taken a 3rd round pick and actually gained another player. This is ass backwards.

pellepelle_10
03-23-2007, 03:31 PM
Who do you suggest we pick there. Another safety? A DT who won't have any more experience or talent than what we already have? Come up with something better.

We're 1 DB from being screwed. You saw it last year when offenses ripped Ricky Manning to shreds..I'm sorry..he's not 1 or 2 capable.

Aaron Ross, Marcus McCauley, Tanard Jackson, Eric Wright, Daymieon Hughes

We're 1 OLB from being hosed. Briggs is demanding to sit out and we need depth here anyways. If Briggs doesn't leave this year he's good as gone next season. Bank on it. Hunter Hillenmeyer is a bandaid on this defense. He always has. Jamar Williams is coming of a season ending injury and I can't even name the next linebacker Ayanbedejo? *lol*

Paul Poz, Jon Beason, Lawrence Timmons, Rufus Alexander, Justin Durant

With Manning very likely to move to DB we've just lost another safety. BACK TO SQUARE ONE. Arculeta is a decent reserve and could end up being a solid starter (depending) but the question remains does Brown stay healthy. With a safety core that is possibly one of the strongest in the 1st 2nd round it would make much sense to draft here.

Michael Griffin, Brandon Merriweather, Eric Weddle

At DT we're hurting, Ian Scott..gone, Aaron Boone gone, Tank Johnson jail-time, Tommie Harris ..season ending injury..Dusty Dvoracek who hasn't even played an NFL Down yet..injured for the year...there's our 5 DT's right there. Need I say anymore? 2 are gone, 2 had season ending injuries and the other is in jail. This isn't a need? LMAO!! C'mon man..

Justin Harrell, Demarcus Tyler, Quin Pitcock

If you need more examples please feel free to ask...

Hurricane Ditka
03-23-2007, 03:49 PM
The solution to fixing area of inexperience and injury isn't to throw more money and inexperience at them. It's funny that you complaining how Dusty hasn't played an NFL down, but you want to throw another rookie, who'll have had less adjustment to the NFL, and our system. We're one offensive lineman from being screwed in the run game and the pass game. Theres a reason Ricky Manning Jr is our nickel corner. We lost in the Super Bowl because of our poor offense, not our defense. Jerry Angelo spent almost our of draft picks on the defense last year, he won't do it again.

There was a good chance we wouldn't be taking a DB before we traded for Adam Archuleta, and it looks like things are shaking up for him to start. There aren't room for that many DB's, and Lb's on the roster. Hillenmeyer does exactly what he's asked to do, and Briggs was a third rounder himself.

bearsfan_51
03-23-2007, 03:51 PM
You have no idea where these players will go and neither do I.

I'm not saying I like the draft, I don't like it much at all, but the Miller very well could go high 2nd. These things are much more fluid than you are giving them credit for.

Hurricane Ditka
03-23-2007, 03:56 PM
Boone and Scott were second day talents, no need to waste a first day pick on our fourth or fifth DT. Any DB we'd take would be behind Harris, Manning, Archuletta, Brown and even Brandon McGowan, so that's our 6th safety, or sixth corner Tillman, Vasher, Manning Jr, Hester, Wesley. We need to address the offensive line, Ruben hasn't been resigned, and Metcalf isn't an adequate starter. Aside for Kruetz and Tait this group is mediocre at best.

bearsfan_51
03-23-2007, 04:41 PM
Boone and Scott were second day talents, no need to waste a first day pick on our fourth or fifth DT. Any DB we'd take would be behind Harris, Manning, Archuletta, Brown and even Brandon McGowan, so that's our 6th safety, or sixth corner Tillman, Vasher, Manning Jr, Hester, Wesley. We need to address the offensive line, Ruben hasn't been resigned, and Metcalf isn't an adequate starter. Aside for Kruetz and Tait this group is mediocre at best.
So Dusty Dvorack, who hasn't played a down of football in the NFL, is a better potential starter than Metcalf, who actually has started a full season, is at guard? Umm...no.

Your continued delusions that Tank Johnson isn't one and done with this team amuses me. I honestly wouldn't be suprised if he isn't cut during camp if they find enough adequate talent to replace him. Regardless, his contract is up after this year and he will not be resigned. Sure there is a chance that he could turn around his act for one year, but once you're a thug you're always a thug, and you don't give starter money to guys that are one probation violation from being locked up for a full year.

I would rank our draft needs, assuming that neither Brown nor Scott are resigned, as...

1)O-Tackle
2)High talent pass catching option
3)Defensive Tackle
4)Guard
5)Outside linebacker
6)Utility runningback
7)Late round pass catching option

Hurricane Ditka
03-23-2007, 05:26 PM
Tank is signed through 2008, and I think he'll be here at least that long.

pellepelle_10
03-23-2007, 10:32 PM
The solution to fixing area of inexperience and injury isn't to throw more money and inexperience at them. It's funny that you complaining how Dusty hasn't played an NFL down, but you want to throw another rookie, who'll have had less adjustment to the NFL, and our system. We're one offensive lineman from being screwed in the run game and the pass game. Theres a reason Ricky Manning Jr is our nickel corner. We lost in the Super Bowl because of our poor offense, not our defense. Jerry Angelo spent almost our of draft picks on the defense last year, he won't do it again.

There was a good chance we wouldn't be taking a DB before we traded for Adam Archuleta, and it looks like things are shaking up for him to start. There aren't room for that many DB's, and Lb's on the roster. Hillenmeyer does exactly what he's asked to do, and Briggs was a third rounder himself.

So do you expect us to do nothing and just let it become more of a problem as season starts?!? This is what the draft is for. Addressing needs and upgrading positions. No different than the offensive line. There are age concerns and depth concerns. Draft an o-lineman who brings youth and adds depth. How is this different from any of the other positions. It's obvious if all guys are playing at each position we're just fine so why not bring in youth to add depth? FA acquisitions would be fine also but JA loves getting players (THAT AREN'T ON THE O-LINE) from the draft. Drafting players are a heck of a lot cheaper than grabbing them in FA. You're suffering from tunnel vision..speaking about the o-line as if that is the ONLY spot where we go down a player and we're hurting bigtime. Have you not listened to what I've said already? Apparently not. If we're minus a player in MANY positions we're hurting. This isn't new... O-line isn't suffering yet until someone goes down. Nobody is coming back from major injury. Nobody is holding out due to contract issues. Nobody on the o-line is doing jailtime. Look at the defense..you have STARTERS..from several positions that are. Lance Briggs, Tommie Harris, Tank Johnson, Mike Brown. These are several STARTERS.

pellepelle_10
03-23-2007, 10:49 PM

Thanks for the input ..since you seem to know how talented these rookies will be compared to our starters whose going to win the Superbowl this upcoming season? You seem to be good at predicting future outcomes of rookies performance while they haven't set foot on an NFL practice field. By the way how did Marques Colston become a starter for New Orleans coming out of the 7th round again? Rookies place on a team aren't pre-determined. When will you realize this. There is a reason for training camp and offseason to see who plays well and who earns spots on a team. If a rookie is outperforming a starter chances are there position may get taken. With your rationale this would never happen. They'd automatically go behind Harris, Manning, Archuletta, Brown, and McGowan no matter if they're playing like Ronnie Lott or Ed Reed in the offseason. How stupid does this sound??? You need to listen to yourself. I'm sure people on the board are cracking up at this nonsense talk of yours. LMAOO!!!

Hurricane Ditka
03-23-2007, 11:03 PM
Jesus Christ your annoying. And you contradict the hell out of yourself. You sight how Jerry hasn't used the draft to take offensive lineman, but ignore the fact that he's never taken a defensive back, or linebacker in the first round. He's also had success drafting defensive players in the later rounds. Also Senor Contradiction, if Colston can make an impact as a 7th round pick, why can't we address some of defensive concerns on the second day? Where Angelo has had succes.

Hurricane Ditka
03-23-2007, 11:13 PM
Jerry Angelo's draft history with the Chicago Bears:

1 29 Marc Colombo T Boston College
3 72 Roosevelt Williams CB Tuskegee
3 93 Terrence Metcalf G Mississippi
4 104 Alex Brown DE Florida
5 140 Bobby Gray SS Louisiana Tech
5 165 Bryan Knight OLB Pittsburgh
6 199 Adrian Peterson RB Georgia Southern
6 203 Jamin Elliott WR Delaware
6 210 Bryan Fletcher FB UCLA

1 14 Michael Haynes DE Penn State
1 22 Rex Grossman QB Florida
2 35 Charles Tillman CB Louisiana-Lafayette
3 68 Lance Briggs OLB Arizona
4 100 Todd Johnson SS Florida
4 116 Ian Scott DT Florida
5 139 Bobby Wade WR Arizona
5 143 Justin Gage WR Missouri
5 171Tron LaFavor DTFlorida
6 191J oe Odom OLB Purdue
6 206 Brock Forsey RB Boise State
7 261 Bryan Anderson G Pittsburgh

1 14Tommie Harris DTOklahoma
2 47Tank Johnson DT Washington
3 78 Bernard Berrian WR Fresno State
4 110 Nathan VasherCBTexas
4 112 Leon Joe OLB Maryland
5 147 Claude Harriott DE Pittsburgh
5 148 Craig Krenzel QB Ohio State
7 215 Alfonso Marshall DB Miami

1 4 Cedric Benson RBTexas
2 39 Mark Bradley WR Oklahoma
4 106 Kyle Orton QB Purdue
5 140 Airese Currie WR Clemson
6 181 Chris Harris FS Louisiana-Monroe
7 220 Rod Wilson LB South Carolina

2 42 Danieal Manning FS Abilene Christian
2 57 Devin Hester CB Miami
3 73 Dusty Dvoracek DT Oklahoma
4 120 Jamar Williams MLB Arizona State
5 159 Mark Anderson DE Alabama
6 195J .D. Runnels FB Oklahoma
6 200Tyler Reed G Penn State

Now find me a trend that says he'll take a linebacker or defensive back, in the first round. Since he hasn't taken a linebacker earlier than the third. The only trend is Florida and Oklahoma players. He also has a tendency to guess what, select defensive lineman on the second day.

Smokey Joe
03-23-2007, 11:47 PM
Jerry Angelo's draft history with the Chicago Bears:

1 29 Marc Colombo T Boston College
3 72 Roosevelt Williams CB Tuskegee
3 93 Terrence Metcalf G Mississippi
5 140 Bobby Gray SS Louisiana Tech
5 165 Bryan Knight OLB Pittsburgh
6 199 Adrian Peterson RB Georgia Southern
6 203 Jamin Elliott WR Delaware
6 210 Bryan Fletcher FB UCLA

1 22 Rex Grossman QB Florida
2 35 Charles Tillman CB Louisiana-Lafayette
3 68 Lance Briggs OLB Arizona
4 100 Todd Johnson SS Florida
5 139 Bobby Wade WR Arizona
5 143 Justin Gage WR Missouri
6 191J oe Odom OLB Purdue
6 206 Brock Forsey RB Boise State
7 261 Bryan Anderson G Pittsburgh

3 78 Bernard Berrian WR Fresno State
4 110 Nathan VasherCBTexas
4 112 Leon Joe OLB Maryland
5 148 Craig Krenzel QB Ohio State
7 215 Alfonso Marshall DB Miami

1 4 Cedric Benson RBTexas
2 39 Mark Bradley WR Oklahoma
4 106 Kyle Orton QB Purdue
5 140 Airese Currie WR Clemson
6 181 Chris Harris FS Louisiana-Monroe
7 220 Rod Wilson LB South Carolina

2 42 Danieal Manning FS Abilene Christian
2 57 Devin Hester CB Miami
4 120 Jamar Williams MLB Arizona State
6 195J .D. Runnels FB Oklahoma
6 200Tyler Reed G Penn State

Now find me a trend that says he'll take a linebacker or defensive back, in the first round. Since he hasn't taken a linebacker earlier than the third. The only trend is Florida and Oklahoma players. He also has a tendency to guess what, select defensive lineman on the second day.
thats hardly a trend to me...

2nd Day DL: (5)

1st Day DL: (4)

Practically even.

And on draft day, you can throw all trends out the window. It varies from year to year. Just because JA hasn't drafted whatever early in past years doesn't mean he wont do it this year.

Hurricane Ditka
03-23-2007, 11:58 PM
thats hardly a trend to me...

2nd Day DL: (5)

1st Day DL: (4)

Practically even.

And on draft day, you can throw all trends out the window. It varies from year to year. Just because JA hasn't drafted whatever early in past years doesn't mean he wont do it this year.Exactly...

Smokey Joe
03-24-2007, 12:32 AM
Exactly...

JA is like the meaning of life... no one knows an answer.

bearsfan_51
03-24-2007, 12:36 AM
True.

It's also worth noting that Jauron had a lot of personal power untill Ed McCaskey died and ownership shifted even more power to Phillips/Angelo. You can tell the difference between the drafts.

It's also funny that 2003 is often considered Jerry's best draft and yet by years end we could potentially only have one or two of those whopping thriteen players drafted still on the team.

Just goes to show what a short shelf-life the majority of NFL players have and why I could give a crap less about following prospects that are likely to drop past round 5.

pellepelle_10
03-24-2007, 02:16 AM
Jesus Christ your annoying. And you contradict the hell out of yourself. You sight how Jerry hasn't used the draft to take offensive lineman, but ignore the fact that he's never taken a defensive back, or linebacker in the first round. He's also had success drafting defensive players in the later rounds. Also Senor Contradiction, if Colston can make an impact as a 7th round pick, why can't we address some of defensive concerns on the second day? Where Angelo has had succes.

Since when did I say that if Angelo drafts a 6th, 7th round defensive player they won't be good? Since when did I say that if Angelo drafted any player in the 4th 7th round they wouldn't be good? If you can't find anything on me saying that they where are you getting this garbage from? Don't make up stuff. Put it out there. Jerry Angelo traded down for a defensive player to get more picks and select, YES a defensive back while gaining additional picks. I wonder why he did this instead of just selecting Manning in the first round? Maybe because it made NO DAMN SENSE drafting him higher than it was needed...similar to how I feel about Chicago drafting Zach Miller in the upper 2nd round.

You run off at the mouth about linebacker but you fail to realise what other needs the team had during those times. Hmmm..lets seee

In 2003 when Colvin left Chicago already had Holdman and Urlacher (2 top end linebackers at the time) we had far greater needs. We were in dire need of a top end quarterback as well as a defensive pass rusher. We had the opportunity to get Terrell Suggs, Byron Leftwich along with a few other players but Angelo saw the need to get a pass rusher (which we had lost in Colvin and never had at the D-Line) and a quarterback (which we were in great need of). Apparently getting a 3rd linebacker over these positions would have been out of the question. Don't you think?

In 2004 Chicago now having Briggs who broke out in 2003 (losing Warrick Holdman) to have a good rookie season and showing much promise the Bears are still lacking a Defensive Lineman with pass rush potential. Again do we address a 3rd starting LB in the 1st round or solidify a D-Lineman which we greatly needed to address pass rushing? We select 2 Defensive lineman with the first 2 picks to address this. I wonder why...hmmmm..On the offensive end we are hurting badly at O-Line. Angelo goes FA FOR OFFENSIVE LINEMAN AND SELECTS ZERO OFFENSIVE LINEMAN IN THE DRAFT!!!

In 2005 Chicago now having Briggs with another solid year in 2004 and now Hillenmeyer posting decent numbers as a 3rd OLB we have concerns with Thomas Jones who has a lackluster season while getting mangled by having a crappy offensive line that can't manage to get their stuff together. Angelo AGAIN goes FA INSTEAD OF THE DRAFT!!!!!! In addition the loss of Marty Booker and problem of David Terrell has been felt so we acquire a big FA in Muhsin Muhammad to help the team out offensively. After firing the old O-Coord and going away from his St. Louis style offense Turner wants to have another A-Train esque runningback who can pound the rock. Again do we address a 3rd-4th OLB or 1st string RB and possibly more help at other needed positions?

Linebacker has never been a 1st round selection because the need for OLB didn't superceed any other position at that time. Its not because Angelo was scared to pull the trigger or Angelo felt that going later was better. It simply wasn't a great need. Look at the statements. It was apparent that other positions were of greater need. Why would we draft an OLB if the team is minus a starting quarterback? Why would we draft an OLB if we don't even have one d-lineman with over 5 sacks? Why would we draft an OLB if we have 3 in 2005 who at the time played very well and we had a runningback who didn't fit the new O-Coords system? You can answer your own questions. Nobody is contradicting themselves. Whenever Offensive-Line was a major need and we all know it has over the past 5+ seasons where did Angelo go? I'll let you answer that question Dionne Warrick. Since when has OLB been a major need like it has this year with HH stinking up the joint and Urlacher being the only other clear cut star? We haven't been in this situation before. We've always had at least 2 solid LB's on this team.

When Colvin left we still had Holdman. When Holdman left Briggs had just flourished. When Briggs was in his next season Hillenmeyer came out. Where was the need for a 1st round OLB? There wasn't...do you think that was why Angelo didn't draft this position? We now have HH who is soso..Briggs might as well be gone..next we have Urlacher and a bunch of other unknowns. YOu dont think this is a problem saying we just went to the SuperBowl? Our starting roster at this point is not complete at LB. There is Urlacher, Hillenmeyer (if you really want to name him as a decent 3rd/backup) and Briggs (who already said he's doesn't want to be apart of this team). To me if Briggs is gone this is easily the worst LB core we've had in almost a decade. I guess you're not worried about that.

pellepelle_10
03-24-2007, 03:06 AM

Don't run away from my question. How do you just assume that if a DB is selected they will automatically be behind Harris, Manning, Archuletta, Brown and even Brandon McGowan as if Michael Griffen, Brandon Merriweather or even the latest of picks Angelo has been known for selecting are incapable of surpassing them??!?! Again..are their positions pre-determined?? If we select Michael Griffen, Joe Blow they are automatically behind even Brandon McGowan??? How do you figure? What leads you to believe this and please share with all of us how you concluded this. Its some powerful knowledge if you already know where a safety we've drafted with end up beginning next year. Please dig yourself out of this grave as you accuse me of contradicting. I'll be awaiting your answer if this hilarious conclusion.....take all the time you need in responding..I have all day for this answer. LMAOOO!!!

If you've read my posts even before this I gave you CLEAR EXAMPLES of several safeties that flourish in their FIRST seasons. Safeties can easily become instant impacts in the NFL. We've had 2 of them. Here I'll name them since you seem to have issues understanding my posts. Mike Brown and Tony Parrish in their rookie seasons both played very well. You're making yourself look reeaaaaaalll bad.

The solution to fixing area of inexperience and injury isn't to throw more money and inexperience at them. It's funny that you complaining how Dusty hasn't played an NFL down, but you want to throw another rookie, who'll have had less adjustment to the NFL, and our system.

Whose to say that a rookie doesn't pick up and surpass Dusty who hasn't even touched the field on a regular season game? What kind of rationale is this? Are you kidding me? You don't think a rookie can come into training camp, surpass and destroy Dusty's performance when the guy has only practiced and gone through preseason drills? What kind of players do you think we draft? You want to talk about me ...listen to yourself..you're basically saying Angelo who is KNOWN for drafting late round studs can't even select a player in the 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, or 1st round to surpass Dusty. You've seen him do this with our 5th round pick of 2006 in Mark Anderson. While he doesn't have 4+ yrs of experience he sure made one heck of an impact over those who do. (Adawale Ogunleye, and Alex Brown..I do believe Michael Haynes was cut because he was better..Haynes had more experience though..LMAOO!!!)Again listen to yourself. This commentary of yours is truly laughable. Keep digging your hole. I don't mind exposing it. It's fun..really.

We're one offensive lineman from being screwed in the run game and the pass game.

WE ARE ALREADY SCREWED AT LINEBACKER..how about that. Briggs..a Pro-Bowler, AND STARTER..has a high chance he won't play this season. I guess this isn't a problem. I guess the fact that we don't have any depth at all doesn't make this even worse? So 1 Pro-Bowler sits out..no depth..1 legitimate star in Urlacher and a backup caliber lb in HH is all we have. Oh yeah..we have Jamar Williams coming off of injury. LOL Who is after HH? Leon Joe??? Dwayne Slay?? give me a break man.

Theres a reason Ricky Manning Jr is our nickel corner.

DING DING DING DING!!!!!!!!!! HOLY CRAP!!!YOUR RIGHT!!!!! HE'S NOT STARTING CAPABLE AS WE'VE WITNESSED THIS SEASON!!! Well isn't that lovely. Hopefully now you'll realize that he is our 3rd cornerback. That means..when Vasher or Tillman go down he's the lucky one to step into that starting role. Now doesnt' that make you feel warm and fuzzy? It sure as heck doesn't make me feel good. You've just exposed yet another problem position. So do we have 3 now? O-Line, OLB, and CB..

We lost in the Super Bowl because of our poor offense, not our defense.

So I guess when Peyton Manning throws TD's because DB's miss assignments this counts for nothing right? or if a D-Coord fails to adjust to a qb who sees our db's aren't covering the short routes this isn't a problem either. I guess when the runningbacks are going crazy on our BACKUP DT's that are now gone (I wonder who their replacements are?....Harris is coming back from season ending injury..he's a lock..Tank is in jail..whose next????) this isn't a problem either. You're speaking as if the same Chicago Bear's that played in the SuperBowl is the same team we currently have. Guess again wise one. Congrads..you're just unlocked another prize..YES!!! its yet another depth concern. Harris will be back but Tank is no lock! Boone and Scott who were getting run over in the SB are gone..so now we have ..................umm...who do we have? LMAOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats all and well but you're forgetting the fact that Briggs wasn't selected when LB was as great a need as it is now that we have 1 stud and 1 fill-in. We cant' count on Briggs so just stop it. If he walks we're f'd. Its a great need. Period. Archuleta filled a big need at Safety all while Manning is now being considered to move to CB. So basically we gain a player to lose one. We haven't gained a position. Don't you get it? Safety will be at the same number as it started. Safety needs depth.

Hurricane Ditka
03-24-2007, 06:39 AM
Don't run away from my question. How do you just assume that if a DB is selected they will automatically be behind Harris, Manning, Archuletta, Brown and even Brandon McGowan as if Michael Griffen, Brandon Merriweather or even the latest of picks Angelo has been known for selecting are incapable of surpassing them??!?! Again..are their positions pre-determined?? If we select Michael Griffen, Joe Blow they are automatically behind even Brandon McGowan??? How do you figure? What leads you to believe this and please share with all of us how you concluded this. Its some powerful knowledge if you already know where a safety we've drafted with end up beginning next year. Please dig yourself out of this grave as you accuse me of contradicting. I'll be awaiting your answer if this hilarious conclusion.....take all the time you need in responding..I have all day for this answer. LMAOOO!!!Rookies start at the bottom of the ladder in the NFL, it's been like that for almost a hundred years of NFL history, if they show enough to move up during training camp and the preseason that's a different story.

If you've read my posts even before this I gave you CLEAR EXAMPLES of several safeties that flourish in their FIRST seasons. Safeties can easily become instant impacts in the NFL. We've had 2 of them. Here I'll name them since you seem to have issues understanding my posts. Mike Brown and Tony Parrish in their rookie seasons both played very well. You're making yourself look reeaaaaaalll bad.
I never said rookies don't make an impact, now you're putting words in my mouth

Whose to say that a rookie doesn't pick up and surpass Dusty who hasn't even touched the field on a regular season game? What kind of rationale is this? Are you kidding me? You don't think a rookie can come into training camp, surpass and destroy Dusty's performance when the guy has only practiced and gone through preseason drills? What kind of players do you think we draft? You want to talk about me ...listen to yourself..you're basically saying Angelo who is KNOWN for drafting late round studs can't even select a player in the 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, or 1st round to surpass Dusty. You've seen him do this with our 5th round pick of 2006 in Mark Anderson. While he doesn't have 4+ yrs of experience he sure made one heck of an impact over those who do. (Adawale Ogunleye, and Alex Brown..I do believe Michael Haynes was cut because he was better..Haynes had more experience though..LMAOO!!!)Again listen to yourself. This commentary of yours is truly laughable. Keep digging your hole. I don't mind exposing it. It's fun..really.The rookie we draft would have less experience than Dusty, explain that. You complain about Dusty's lack of playing time, but want to replace with someone who'll be less adjusted to our system and the NFL. You want to tell me that experience in the NFL doesn't make players better? ********. We are going to be relying on our veteran players, we aren't going to completely rebuild the team with a new starter at every defensive position. The strength of the team is the defense, you don't improve a strength by replacing your veterans.
[/quote]

WE ARE ALREADY SCREWED AT LINEBACKER..how about that. Briggs..a Pro-Bowler, AND STARTER..has a high chance he won't play this season. I guess this isn't a problem. I guess the fact that we don't have any depth at all doesn't make this even worse? So 1 Pro-Bowler sits out..no depth..1 legitimate star in Urlacher and a backup caliber lb in HH is all we have. Oh yeah..we have Jamar Williams coming off of injury. LOL Who is after HH? Leon Joe??? Dwayne Slay?? give me a break man.I'd like to know how you can be screwed at linebacker when you've got the best player at the position playing for you, and in the easiest system for linebackers to play develop in. Hunter Hillenmeyer does exactly what he's asked to do. If the Bears move it's a different story, we'll have another high pick to deal with. But he's on the team and the organization doesn't look to be backing down. It's easy to so you'll say in March, let's see what he says in September.

DING DING DING DING!!!!!!!!!! HOLY CRAP!!!YOUR RIGHT!!!!! HE'S NOT STARTING CAPABLE AS WE'VE WITNESSED THIS SEASON!!! Well isn't that lovely. Hopefully now you'll realize that he is our 3rd cornerback. That means..when Vasher or Tillman go down he's the lucky one to step into that starting role. Now doesnt' that make you feel warm and fuzzy? It sure as heck doesn't make me feel good. You've just exposed yet another problem position. So do we have 3 now? O-Line, OLB, and CB..Did you miss the part where I said he's our NICKEL corner. DING DING ******* DING!!! That means he doesn't start dipshit. You don't draft your fourth string player that early in the draft, especially when according to you we've got more holes to fill than the Raiders.

So I guess when Peyton Manning throws TD's because DB's miss assignments this counts for nothing right? or if a D-Coord fails to adjust to a qb who sees our db's aren't covering the short routes this isn't a problem either. I guess when the runningbacks are going crazy on our BACKUP DT's that are now gone (I wonder who their replacements are?....Harris is coming back from season ending injury..he's a lock..Tank is in jail..whose next????) this isn't a problem either. You're speaking as if the same Chicago Bear's that played in the SuperBowl is the same team we currently have. Guess again wise one. Congrads..you're just unlocked another prize..YES!!! its yet another depth concern. Harris will be back but Tank is no lock! Boone and Scott who were getting run over in the SB are gone..so now we have ..................umm...who do we have? LMAOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I guess it's Ian Scott that we couldn't run or pass block, or is it Alfonso Boone's, or Ron Riveras. Take your pick.[/quote]

Thats all and well but you're forgetting the fact that Briggs wasn't selected when LB was as great a need as it is now that we have 1 stud and 1 fill-in. We cant' count on Briggs so just stop it. If he walks we're f'd. Its a great need. Period. Archuleta filled a big need at Safety all while Manning is now being considered to move to CB. So basically we gain a player to lose one. We haven't gained a position. Don't you get it? Safety will be at the same number as it started. Safety needs depth.When we lost Holdman, and Colvin LINEBACKER WAS A BIG NEED, when did Angelo address it, the third round.

KBear
03-24-2007, 11:09 AM
In the 2005 draft, none of us Bears fans on here really wanted to go RB in the first round, we did not see it as a first round need becuase we all felt that Jones was our #1 RB, which in looking back at that season he was.

We did want an OLB, however what we need was a strong side LB, and there was no prospect worthy of the #4 pick. So we opted for RB, which was, as I recall, our third option behind OLB and WR. Then again, it could have been the 4th, with OT being a bigger need then RB.

KBear
03-24-2007, 11:10 AM
Trivia question. Name the last three LBs the Bears have picked in the first round of the draft. If you have to look it up say so.

bearsfan_51
03-24-2007, 12:33 PM
Trivia question. Name the last three LBs the Bears have picked in the first round of the draft. If you have to look it up say so.

Urlacher

John Thiery (sp) who I believe we tried to convert to DE.

Wilbur Marshell.

Where's my cookie?

KBear
03-24-2007, 12:47 PM
Urlacher

John Thiery (sp) who I believe we tried to convert to DE.

Wilbur Marshell.

Where's my cookie?

I really was not counting Thierry, but you are correct he was a LB in college.

So here is your cookie

http://www.obscure.org/~pain/cookie.gif

I was going for Urlacher, Marshall, and Otis Wilson. But Thierry works.

bearsfan_51
03-24-2007, 12:49 PM
That's a fine looking cookie.

pellepelle_10
03-25-2007, 10:18 PM
In the 2005 draft, none of us Bears fans on here really wanted to go RB in the first round,

In all respect kbear I'm not joining the gang. TJ didn't fit Turners scheme. He's not looking for an all-purpose back. He wants a pounder which is why he drafted Benson. Also TJ failed to do anything his 2nd season (as Anthony Thomas did due to a very bad offensive line). I don't know why they figured it was the runningbacks to blame but it was seriously the offensive line, quarterback, and offensive coordinator, and wide receiver positions hindering the offense from any positive gains.

we did not see it as a first round need becuase we all felt that Jones was our #1 RB, which in looking back at that season he was.

again this is your personal opinion. If this is how you feel then fine. On my board I predicted the Bears drafting Benson 8 months before the draft even started due to the fact he was running around in circles instead of gaining any yards (all that changed when Benson lit some fire under his butt).

We did want an OLB, however what we need was a strong side LB, and there was no prospect worthy of the #4 pick.

For any team if they feel STARTING runningback is a problem and needs to be addressed there is no way in HELL they would draft a 3rd linebacker unless the talent is just so high you'd be a moron to pass them up. Again YOU felt it wasn't a need. RON TURNER felt TJ didn't fit his system..no different than the last o-coord felt A-Train wasn't versitile enough to fit his.

So we opted for RB, which was, as I recall, our third option behind OLB and WR. Then again, it could have been the 4th, with OT being a bigger need then RB.

Our must mean YOUR because it sure as hell didn't mean the Bears. There is no way in hell they'd put a 3rd linebacker as priority over the 1 starting runningback. What kind of sense does this make? Now if it were a backup runningback vs a starting linebacker then I'd agree but they felt the STARTING RUNNINGBACK needed to be addressed. TJ wasn't the type of back he felt would fit his system hence they selected Cedric Benson as a viable replacement. TJ took that as a challenge and finally showed them up. By then it was too late. Its jacked that he had to leave but its business.

pellepelle_10
03-25-2007, 10:52 PM
Rookies start at the bottom of the ladder in the NFL, it's been like that for almost a hundred years of NFL history, if they show enough to move up during training camp and the preseason that's a different story.

Really? So whats your explanation for Peyton Manning? Last time I checked he was an immediate starter. How about Troy Polamalu..that guy was an immediate starter...Dwight Freeney..he was an immediate starter. Tommie Harris ...he was an immediate starter. Every player has to battle in offseason. No $ht. What does having less experience supposed to mean? It doesn't mean less of an impact so what does it matter? Your reasoning makes absolutely no sense. Who cares if they have less experience. They earn it with time. If they can make an immediate impact the experience will come.

Michael Haynes..has 4 years experience
Mark Anderson..has 1 year experience

Michael Haynes the guy with experience was cut while Mark Anderson the guy who could produce the most impact was kept. This is exactly what I'm getting at and again..players positions aren't pre-determined. You know damn well a top draft pick isn't going to be last on the depth chart for long if they're as talented as they figured. Get real. Nobody cares about a players position on the depth chart day 1 after the draft. We care about their position day 1 of the NFL season when it counts.

The rookie we draft would have less experience than Dusty, explain that. You complain about Dusty's lack of playing time, but want to replace with someone who'll be less adjusted to our system and the NFL.

If that rookie shows potential to be much better than Dusty then hell yes. Especially if your team is in need of additional players and the guy sitting there in the draft has the ability to help your team a great deal. (as Tommie Harris was regarded in the draft). Any person with common sense would say the same thing.

You want to tell me that experience in the NFL doesn't make players better? ********. We are going to be relying on our veteran players, we aren't going to completely rebuild the team with a new starter at every defensive position. The strength of the team is the defense, you don't improve a strength by replacing your veterans.

Experience makes anyone better but just because you have experience doesn't mean you're better than the rookie.

Michael Haynes is better than Mark Anderson..I think not and again..Chicago took the rookie and kicked the 3yr veteran to the curb so what does that tell you they thought about experience..apparently it didn't mean ____ for Michael Haynes did it? I rest my case.

I'd like to know how you can be screwed at linebacker when you've got the best player at the position playing for you, and in the easiest system for linebackers to play develop in.

Maybe its because Brian Urlacher isn't SLB, WLB, and MLB ...we need 3 players to complete this. If not why do we have these other positions..we can just call Urlacher the LB and use 2 other players for bonus spots..LMAO!!

Hunter Hillenmeyer does exactly what he's asked to do.

Maybe you feel he does. I think he's nothing more than a band aid.

Did you miss the part where I said he's our NICKEL corner. DING DING ******* DING!!! That means he doesn't start dipshit. You don't draft your fourth string player that early in the draft, especially when according to you we've got more holes to fill than the Raiders.

Apparently you don't mind Manning filling in if Vasher or Tillman go down. Apparently you're ok with this. If so then I feel sorry for you. Apparently you didn't watch enough of the games to see how he became every wr's btch.

I guess it's Ian Scott that we couldn't run or pass block, or is it Alfonso Boone's, or Ron Riveras. Take your pick.

You can say it was a combination but when it all came down to it they didn't get the job done. They're gone now with LESSER players behind them..so if they were apparently good enough to play in this game then its obvious they were the best we had to plug in the game. So if they're both gone now and we're in the same position we're do we go? I guess we just hope those guy who were behind them decide to play. Hopefully this new signing of Adams takes the pressure off a little. I still think we're 1 DT away from breathing a sigh of relief. If we can somehow get Scott back DT won't be a need anylonger. If not I'll feel ok going later in the draft now that at least 1 DT can be counted on now.

When we lost Holdman, and Colvin LINEBACKER WAS A BIG NEED, when did Angelo address it, the third round.

Maybe it was a need but you're not going to sit here and tell me Drafting a third linebacker was a greater need than a pass rushing Defensive End, or a Quarterback..two positions that we hadn't seen since Richard Dent and Erik Kramer (the year he had a 99+ rating under Ron Turner). you're crazy if you think a 3rd linebacker is more important than that..lay off the drugs.

All of those seasons we had at least 2 quality OLB's and if you're saying it was a big need then you're losing your marbles if you think now is better. LMAO!! You must be including Briggs as if he's going to play. If thats the case then I'll cut you slack. If Briggs doesn't play we're not better off.

When Colvin left we had Urlacher and Holdman still.
When Holdman left we had Urlacher and Briggs who just had a solid season the year before.
The next year we had Urlacher, Briggs, and Hillenmeyer

In the meantime we addressed QB, DE, 2 DT's, a RB, WR, and DB help which were all major needs.

QB was an obvious need..you don't build teams around OLB's.you build them around QB's especially when you already have Urlacher.

DE was a need..we hadn't had a bigtime DE since Richard Dent..how long was that??

The next year DE still hadn't panned...we were still in need of a D-Lineman that could create pressure. Tommie Harris and Tank were introduced...again..we hadn't had a bigtime D-Lineman since Dent..

the next year we address RB since TJ hasn't panned like Turner wanted..he wants a smashmouth RB who can surpass the 1000yd mark..something TJ didn't do at the time. TJ finally shows up the next year when its too late..his ending is already written on the wall. It's only a matter of time. Also WR is still hurting and they are plagued by injuries. Mushin Muhammad is brought in to help. While Bradley is also drafted for WR help. The WR position till this day hasn't seen a 1000yd performance since Marty Booker in 2002??!?!OLB was not a need over these positions especially when we had Briggs, and Urlacher as top end LB's...they're NOT going to select a 3rd LB over this..stop dreaming.

VoteLynnSwan
03-26-2007, 12:48 AM
you know pelle... even if you were to be making the best possible agrument, no one would appreciate it. The way in which you deliver the argument makes you sound like a condescending asshole. Now some of your points are most likely right, don't get me wrong, but if you want to be taken seriously, then you should probably change that up... and if you don't care what people think, then why are you posting here?

pellepelle_10
03-26-2007, 05:44 PM
you know pelle... even if you were to be making the best possible agrument, no one would appreciate it. The way in which you deliver the argument makes you sound like a condescending asshole. Now some of your points are most likely right, don't get me wrong, but if you want to be taken seriously, then you should probably change that up... and if you don't care what people think, then why are you posting here?

If I sound like a condescending asshole then so be it. Take it for what its worth. I'm not trying to make like I'm a know-all. I will however voice my opinion if its something I believe is different than how I feel to give my side of the story. This is what posting is about. How else do people understand. This is a Bear board so there will be many varying opinions..mine aren't always going to be right. (I even said that if the Bears draft O-Line with the first pick I'll be the first to have my serving of crow). I'll admit my wrongs. Everybody has a difference in opinions. Smokey, Bearfan_51, and Kbear should know there is no ill will towards them. Even Ditka should. I'm not here to create enemies. I'm here to voice my opinion. If you don't like it then don't listen to it. Its apparent that many of these guys have been here awhile as they may share a lot of the same opinions. I'm a newb on this board with my own formulated opinions. I'm not going to agree with everybodies opinions on things and I'm sure there are many they'll disagree with me on. In many other discussions there have been a ton of disagreements. I can agree to disagree..for all that matters they can never agree with my opinion. Similar to bearfan thinking that I'm crazy to belive Marty Booker is better than Muhsin Muhammad. We're all entitled to opinions and I respect everybodies even if I think they may not be how I see things. Again if you don't care about my commentary then thats fine. You're not breaking my heart. It is what it is.

iowatreat54
03-26-2007, 06:36 PM
In all respect kbear I'm not joining the gang. TJ didn't fit Turners scheme. He's not looking for an all-purpose back. He wants a pounder which is why he drafted Benson. Also TJ failed to do anything his 2nd season (as Anthony Thomas did due to a very bad offensive line). I don't know why they figured it was the runningbacks to blame but it was seriously the offensive line, quarterback, and offensive coordinator, and wide receiver positions hindering the offense from any positive gains.

are you talking 2nd season in the NFL or on the bears? because as I remember TJ had 1300 yrd and 9 td's in his 2nd year on the bears which was the best season of his career and hardly nothing, and was also the center of our offense because as we all have chosen to forget, the great Orton was our starter...however his 2nd NFL year he had 300 and 5, so I hope that's the year your talking about...

pellepelle_10
03-27-2007, 01:20 AM
are you talking 2nd season in the NFL or on the bears? because as I remember TJ had 1300 yrd and 9 td's in his 2nd year on the bears which was the best season of his career and hardly nothing, and was also the center of our offense because as we all have chosen to forget, the great Orton was our starter...however his 2nd NFL year he had 300 and 5, so I hope that's the year your talking about...

I meant his second season for the Bears and I was wrong. My apologies. I meant to say his first season with chicago when A-Train was riding the pine behind him. Youre right abotu him having the 1300 in yr 2 with chitown.

KBear
03-27-2007, 03:37 AM

again this is your personal opinion. If this is how you feel then fine. On my board I predicted the Bears drafting Benson 8 months before the draft even started due to the fact he was running around in circles instead of gaining any yards (all that changed when Benson lit some fire under his butt).

For any team if they feel STARTING runningback is a problem and needs to be addressed there is no way in HELL they would draft a 3rd linebacker unless the talent is just so high you'd be a moron to pass them up. Again YOU felt it wasn't a need. RON TURNER felt TJ didn't fit his system..no different than the last o-coord felt A-Train wasn't versitile enough to fit his.

Our must mean YOUR because it sure as hell didn't mean the Bears. There is no way in hell they'd put a 3rd linebacker as priority over the 1 starting runningback. What kind of sense does this make? Now if it were a backup runningback vs a starting linebacker then I'd agree but they felt the STARTING RUNNINGBACK needed to be addressed. TJ wasn't the type of back he felt would fit his system hence they selected Cedric Benson as a viable replacement. TJ took that as a challenge and finally showed them up. By then it was too late. Its jacked that he had to leave but its business.

Jones still had 1300+ all purpose yards in 2004, in an offence where he had no QB help, no WR help, and no OL help. How is that failing to do anything? He would have had over 1000 yards rushing if he not missed for what turned out to be practically 3 games due to injury. I still say it was not a first round need, and considering that Benson could not beat out Jones the last two years that I was indeed right.

Bears could have traded down with the Redskins that year, and still have drafted Benson, who by the way played his worst in the big games and racked up most of his yards agaisnt lesser teams. It still bugs me that they did not pull the trigger on that trade. If the Bears had not drafted Benson when they did, he most likely would have taken a big fall in that draft.

So if you predicted that the Bears would draft Benson 8 months before they did, which Benson where you watching in college, and what Bears team did you actually watch?

And your right that no team should draft a 3rd LB over a starting RB, but the Bears already had their starting RB, all they need was a back up.

Your argument is based on Jones not performing well in 2004 (but he did) and that Jones did not fit into the new system, which it turned out that he did in no surprise for most of us. But you failed to mention that the WRs, QBs, most of the OL also did not fit into the new system, and all three where bigger needs. Of course the Bears where still counting on Grossman to be their QB of the future, but he had injury concerns then.

It was a bad football move then, and it still looks bad now.

KBear
03-27-2007, 10:00 AM
Bears start the season agaisnt the Chargers. This should be a fun game to watch.

bearsfan_51
03-27-2007, 11:21 AM
Bears start the season agaisnt the Chargers. This should be a fun game to watch.
I'd rather start the season off with the Lions and play a team like the Chargers when we have more momentum.

That being said, to get the west coast trip out of the way when the guys are still fresh and eager might be to our benefit. Not to mention that the sooner we can get to a new coaching staff likely the better.

pellepelle_10
03-27-2007, 11:09 PM
Jones still had 1300+ all purpose yards in 2004, in an offence where he had no QB help, no WR help, and no OL help. How is that failing to do anything? He would have had over 1000 yards rushing if he not missed for what turned out to be practically 3 games due to injury. I still say it was not a first round need, and considering that Benson could not beat out Jones the last two years that I was indeed right.

Bears could have traded down with the Redskins that year, and still have drafted Benson, who by the way played his worst in the big games and racked up most of his yards agaisnt lesser teams. It still bugs me that they did not pull the trigger on that trade. If the Bears had not drafted Benson when they did, he most likely would have taken a big fall in that draft.

So if you predicted that the Bears would draft Benson 8 months before they did, which Benson where you watching in college, and what Bears team did you actually watch?

And your right that no team should draft a 3rd LB over a starting RB, but the Bears already had their starting RB, all they need was a back up.

Your argument is based on Jones not performing well in 2004 (but he did) and that Jones did not fit into the new system, which it turned out that he did in no surprise for most of us. But you failed to mention that the WRs, QBs, most of the OL also did not fit into the new system, and all three where bigger needs. Of course the Bears where still counting on Grossman to be their QB of the future, but he had injury concerns then.

It was a bad football move then, and it still looks bad now.

Great points KBear.

Here's what I thought.

TJ had a lot of all purpose yards. I will give you that. He did a good overall job for the team however as a runningback he was lackluster. In games where he couldn't perform well they put in A-Train and he ripped it up. Call me out for this if you like but those games where A-Train replaced TJ he moved the ball (the Giants game was one of them). TJ was good in catching balls out of the backfield but as a runningback he struggled mightily. He also suffered at breaking runs which a slower runningback A-Train showed no problem doing. It was way too obvious that he wasn't going forward when he could have. Instead he was dancing around in the backfield trying to do way too much and getting stopped (The Cowboys game on Thanksgiving was a great example). When A-Train was put in the ball was moved. It wasn't until 2005 where TJ's bouncing around actually went for positive yardage. In 2005 he ran like he was on a mission. I will agree that the Offensive-Line, Quarterback, Wide-Receiver positions were "all" question marks but for a guy who came off the bench (A-Train) to rack up solid performances showed that there was something TJ had lacked. It wasn't until the next season that he showed his abilities and the rest has been history. (TJ being a very good runningback). Now I can only say good things about TJ. I just didn't feel that as a runningback he got the job done (especially when it seemed as though A-Train made more of an impact than he did even though he sat over half the year behind him).

Naked Jehuty
04-19-2007, 05:56 PM
Bear Fans, I was wondering who do you think the Bears will be targeting if the deal with Washington goes through? My guess is maybe Willis to replace Briggs or maybe Branch or Okoyle because after Harris went down, so did your run D. Harris and Branch will probably be the 2nd best DT tandem in the NFL (the 1st bein Stroud and Henderson at JAX)

awfullyquiet
04-19-2007, 07:14 PM
3rd Best. Williamses of Minnesota were statistically ranked better than everyone with a 1.4 yd/run attempt average.

Bears would probably trade down. With the added depth (i'm still banking on them signing Ian Scott), and not picking up Branch or Okoye. Okoye would replace Harris, and in reality we could use a more solid over-tackle.

I'm really not sure what the consequences would be of two 3-techs of that caliber... i mean, if okoye is will be as good as he seems, and harris is as good as he is. I don't know if they'll counter-act each other or cause tremendous penetration.

Don't look for the bears to stay at the 6th, the bears will trade till they find something they want from someone.

Naked Jehuty
04-19-2007, 07:27 PM
But Branch is a massive one tech. Even if he's there at 6 you think a trade down will be the decision?

Hurricane Ditka
04-19-2007, 07:28 PM
But Branch is a massive one tech. Even if he's there at 6 you think a trade down will be the decision?
Branch doesn't really have the quickness needed in Lovie Smith's defense.

awfullyquiet
04-19-2007, 08:44 PM

Massive 1-techs aren't part of the system, an instrumental one-tech in the lovie-2 is someone who has size and penetration ability to allow good linebacker play and although Tank was a decent option, Branch doesn't have the penetration speed, we're talking a man weighing in around 320, with a 4.9 speed and great at shedding blocks and hell of a first step. Branch has the power but not the speed to make it in the backfield. An upgrade over tank would be a plus, dusty dvorachk hasn't been proven for anything and has had issues shedding blocks which is the biggest thing in the Lovie-2 system for a DT.

Geo
04-19-2007, 08:48 PM
LOL @ "Lovie-2"

awfullyquiet
04-20-2007, 12:19 AM
LOL @ "Lovie-2"

... i think we need to admit that it's true.

they got a funky scheme that works sometimes.
and playmakers that don't work sometimes.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-20-2007, 06:02 PM
Branch is a fat piece of garbage.

He's going to be a bust.

KBear
04-21-2007, 12:43 PM
Its been a while since I read this thread, so sorry if this reply is a little late.

TJ had a lot of all purpose yards. I will give you that. He did a good overall job for the team however as a runningback he was lackluster. In games where he couldn't perform well they put in A-Train and he ripped it up. Call me out for this if you like but those games where A-Train replaced TJ he moved the ball (the Giants game was one of them). TJ was good in catching balls out of the backfield but as a runningback he struggled mightily. He also suffered at breaking runs which a slower runningback A-Train showed no problem doing.

You asked to be called out so I will. 2 of those three games A-Train did play well in, that I will give you, but that point would just help my point that the Bears really did not need a RB in the first round. Oh those two games where agaisnt a 2-14 49ers team, and a 6-10 Giants team. 49ers where allowing almost 125 rushing yards per game and allwing 4.0 ypc. A-Train had 98 rushing yards with a 3.9 ypc. The Gaints allowed 135 rushing yards a game with 4.3 ypc, A-Train had 110 yards with 3.9 ypc. Now those where not bad games for A-Train, but its was more or less average compared what other RBs did agaisnt those teams. The third team was the Titans (5-11 that year), and A-Train played sub par, 25 carries for 72 yards, 2.5 ypc. Titans where giving up 120 rushing yards a game and allowing RB to average 4.5 ypc. The only other game A-Train had 10 or carries was the Viking (8-8 that year) game that year. Where he went for 55 yards on 15 carries. Jones had 49 yards on 15 carries that game. That was the game where Chad Hutchinson started, it was also the last win of the year. Looking back on it, the Bears where real lucky to win that game. So to say that A-Train "ripped it up" when he replaced Jones is not quite true. And its not like he faced quality teams either.

To say Jones had problems breaking runs was true, though his best games came when they actually allowed him to run the ball 20+ times. However, A-Train had the same problems. Neither one of them broke that many 20+ yard runs that year, Jones, I beleive, had more 10+ yard runs then Thomas did. So Thomas did have problems with breaking long runs, not sure where you are getting he had no problems with that.

It was way too obvious that he wasn't going forward when he could have. Instead he was dancing around in the backfield trying to do way too much and getting stopped (The Cowboys game on Thanksgiving was a great example).
You really want to bring up that game? Jones did have a sub par rushing game, that much is true, but he had 6 catches for 48 yards. So in a game where the Bears only had a 140 total net yards, Jones had 94 of them. so he was 2/3 of our offense in the game, and here the Bears are wanting to replace him with a first round pick. A-Train had 3 carries for 0 yards, 2 receptions for 20 yards.

The Cowboys game was very typical of how the year went for the Bears, cant move the ball that well, and when they can it was with mostly with Jones.

When A-Train was put in the ball was moved. It wasn't until 2005 where TJ's bouncing around actually went for positive yardage. In 2005 he ran like he was on a mission. I will agree that the Offensive-Line, Quarterback, Wide-Receiver positions were "all" question marks but for a guy who came off the bench (A-Train) to rack up solid performances showed that there was something TJ had lacked. It wasn't until the next season that he showed his abilities and the rest has been history. (TJ being a very good runningback). Now I can only say good things about TJ. I just didn't feel that as a runningback he got the job done (especially when it seemed as though A-Train made more of an impact than he did even though he sat over half the year behind him).

Yes TJ ran better in 2005 then he did in 2004, but he also had a better OLine, WRs, and a better QB, though with QBs Orton vs. Krenzel/Quinn/Hutchinson is comparing subpar/bad to just plain horrible.

And to say that Thomas had more of an impact than Jones is not completely off the mark, but I'm not sure where its coming from. He had 4 games with 15+ carries (all against teams in the bottom half of the league in defence), and he played well in 2 of those games.

I'm not going to say that the Bears could not have upgraded their running game from 2004, but to pick Jones (who ended up being 32% of the Bears total offence in 2004 even while missing practically 3 games, and 38% of the total offence for the 13 games that he did play in which I think was only 2nd to tiki Barber for highest % of teams yards) replacement with the #4 pick in the draft was a bad call IMO. Granted they did sign Fred Miller and Mushin Muhammed before the draft, and the QBs in the draft that year where less then stellar. However, I still dont think drafting Benson at the 4th pick was a wise move, esp considering they could have traded down with the Redskins and still have taken Benson with the 9th pick, while still having the 25th pick to use on Jason Campbell, Roddy White (though I think they where higher on Reggie Brown) or Heath Miller. All the while saving money. But no, Benson was their man and they would not risk losing him, which they probably wouldn't have if they traded down.

pellepelle_10
04-22-2007, 03:11 AM
Its been a while since I read this thread, so sorry if this reply is a little late.

You asked to be called out so I will. 2 of those three games A-Train did play well in, that I will give you, but that point would just help my point that the Bears really did not need a RB in the first round. Oh those two games where agaisnt a 2-14 49ers team, and a 6-10 Giants team. 49ers where allowing almost 125 rushing yards per game and allwing 4.0 ypc. A-Train had 98 rushing yards with a 3.9 ypc. The Gaints allowed 135 rushing yards a game with 4.3 ypc, A-Train had 110 yards with 3.9 ypc. Now those where not bad games for A-Train, but its was more or less average compared what other RBs did agaisnt those teams. The third team was the Titans (5-11 that year), and A-Train played sub par, 25 carries for 72 yards, 2.5 ypc. Titans where giving up 120 rushing yards a game and allowing RB to average 4.5 ypc. The only other game A-Train had 10 or carries was the Viking (8-8 that year) game that year. Where he went for 55 yards on 15 carries. Jones had 49 yards on 15 carries that game. That was the game where Chad Hutchinson started, it was also the last win of the year. Looking back on it, the Bears where real lucky to win that game. So to say that A-Train "ripped it up" when he replaced Jones is not quite true. And its not like he faced quality teams either.

To say Jones had problems breaking runs was true, though his best games came when they actually allowed him to run the ball 20+ times. However, A-Train had the same problems. Neither one of them broke that many 20+ yard runs that year, Jones, I beleive, had more 10+ yard runs then Thomas did. So Thomas did have problems with breaking long runs, not sure where you are getting he had no problems with that.

You really want to bring up that game? Jones did have a sub par rushing game, that much is true, but he had 6 catches for 48 yards. So in a game where the Bears only had a 140 total net yards, Jones had 94 of them. so he was 2/3 of our offense in the game, and here the Bears are wanting to replace him with a first round pick. A-Train had 3 carries for 0 yards, 2 receptions for 20 yards.

The Cowboys game was very typical of how the year went for the Bears, cant move the ball that well, and when they can it was with mostly with Jones.

Yes TJ ran better in 2005 then he did in 2004, but he also had a better OLine, WRs, and a better QB, though with QBs Orton vs. Krenzel/Quinn/Hutchinson is comparing subpar/bad to just plain horrible.

And to say that Thomas had more of an impact than Jones is not completely off the mark, but I'm not sure where its coming from. He had 4 games with 15+ carries (all against teams in the bottom half of the league in defence), and he played well in 2 of those games.

I'm not going to say that the Bears could not have upgraded their running game from 2004, but to pick Jones (who ended up being 32% of the Bears total offence in 2004 even while missing practically 3 games, and 38% of the total offence for the 13 games that he did play in which I think was only 2nd to tiki Barber for highest % of teams yards) replacement with the #4 pick in the draft was a bad call IMO. Granted they did sign Fred Miller and Mushin Muhammed before the draft, and the QBs in the draft that year where less then stellar. However, I still dont think drafting Benson at the 4th pick was a wise move, esp considering they could have traded down with the Redskins and still have taken Benson with the 9th pick, while still having the 25th pick to use on Jason Campbell, Roddy White (though I think they where higher on Reggie Brown) or Heath Miller. All the while saving money. But no, Benson was their man and they would not risk losing him, which they probably wouldn't have if they traded down.

LMAOO!!! KBear...man you coming out the woodworks on this man. When did I post this again?!? lol

You totally caught me off guard on this man. lol

KBear
04-22-2007, 09:16 PM
LMAOO!!! KBear...man you coming out the woodworks on this man. When did I post this again?!? lol

You totally caught me off guard on this man. lol

I just never checked this thread, because it didn't say there was any new post in it.

pellepelle_10
04-23-2007, 01:42 AM
I just never checked this thread, because it didn't say there was any new post in it.

Cool..I'll get you a respose back. I'm going to be a little tied up so I'll hook you up with my response tomorrow.

swiftizm
04-23-2007, 05:38 AM
As far as the Briggs trade, I say "Yes", do it now. Briggs is a great player, i really like him, but I think he's more of a system guy, and Jamar Williams may be able to play the spot very well, plus we would get the #6 pick in the draft, a spot where you take "Franchise" players, i really dont think Briggs is a franchise player, and even if he is, we lose him after the season and he will hurt the locker room, so why not trade him and get a franchise player that isnt going to disrupt the chemistry or leave after the season??

Anyway, if we stay at 6, i see a couple of possibilities.
DT Omobi Okeye. Whoever said he would take Tommie Harris' spot, your an idiot. He would line up next to Tommie and form THE #1 DT Tandem in the league. Are you kidding? Okoye is 19, Tommie is 22, we would have the BEST and YOUNGEST DT in the league, and they would anchor our Defense and make it amazing, i think it would be too hard to pass him at that spot, just because of his talent and potential. If we dont take a DT at #6, DONT TAKE ONE. We dont need a DT unless its an absolute STUD. Adding another guy like Ian Scott, Tank or Dusty is just pointless.

Levi Brown OT - I love the thought of having him as our LT for the next 10-15 years, he could be great.

Patrick Willis LB - Hm, if we moved him outside, would we miss Briggs??? good question. :)

Joe Thomas or Calvin Johnson is they somehow fell. No brainer.

LaRon Landry has been mentioned, but I dont really agree with that, i like Danieal Manning, he started for a super bowl team as a rookie and should improve.

Brady Quinn QB - No, im not a Rex hater...but I really think Brady Quinn is the best player in the draft, and WILL be the QB that some people think Rex 'might someday be'. Brady Quinn could be our Peyton Manning and face of the franchise for a looong time. I like Rex Grossman and personally wnat him to be our QB for 12 more years, but if Quinn is there, "I" would not pass him up.

We could trade down, and still target, Patrick Willis, Levi Brown, Greg Olson, Paul Posluzny. I personally would like to add an additional 2nd rounder and trade down into the 12-20th spot and take Greg Olson.
Then take Dwayne Bowe and Benn Grubbs and add Rufus Alexander or Quincy Black in round 3.

Hurricane Ditka
04-23-2007, 03:06 PM
A pick that I'm starting to warm up to is USC's Steve Smith at 31, or 37. He seems to fit the arch-type that Jerry has looked for in a wide receiver the past few years, and although he's not that big, he could make an impact in the slot. I'd have say I'd pick pick him after Bowe and Jarret, but before Rice and Gonzalez. Supposedly the Bears are high on Grubbs and Steve Smith, so I wouldn't be surprised to see us go Grubbs, Smith or vice versa in Rounds 1 and 2.

sweetness34
04-23-2007, 08:44 PM
What's the buzz on the Briggs deal, anything?

Hurricane Ditka
04-23-2007, 09:20 PM
What's the buzz on the Briggs deal, anything?All signs point to dead.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-23-2007, 10:20 PM
All signs point to dead.

Yeah.. I guess the Redskins pulled the deal and now are focused on moving up to get Calvin.. Which is very unlikely..

I was watching a sports talk show and Hub Akrush(sp?) was a guest and said the offer is off the table, but could very well be back on the table come friday/saturday. He also said he thinks theres a fairly decent chance at a draft day trade.

Also, he said that the Bears insisted on #37 in the Jones deal to move up in the draft for Landry, before his stock soared.. He then said he thinks JA will draft a defensive player at #31.

Hub is from PFW and supposed to be one of the best inside guys.

Smokey Joe
04-23-2007, 10:33 PM
What I wrote about Scott's update...
I dont think the Bears could pass on Timmons at 31. He could realistically play all three LB spots in the cover 2, and with Briggs possibly not playing for at least 10 games, some help would be needed.

Also, to add to this, for round 2, if we get Timmons, I'd like think that if either Dwayne is there, that they would be the pick.

Hurricane Ditka
04-24-2007, 06:59 AM
Yeah.. I guess the Redskins pulled the deal and now are focused on moving up to get Calvin.. Which is very unlikely..

I was watching a sports talk show and Hub Akrush(sp?) was a guest and said the offer is off the table, but could very well be back on the table come friday/saturday. He also said he thinks theres a fairly decent chance at a draft day trade.

Also, he said that the Bears insisted on #37 in the Jones deal to move up in the draft for Landry, before his stock soared.. He then said he thinks JA will draft a defensive player at #31.

Hub is from PFW and supposed to be one of the best inside guys.After the Bears canned him as their color guy two years ago he hasn't been very good at guessing where they were going.

OhioState
04-24-2007, 11:27 AM
i really want to see a playmaking wide reciever, ie gonzalez bowe or jarret, at 31 and either blaylock or grubbs at 37. that would be the perfect draft.

sweetness34
04-24-2007, 11:34 AM
i really want to see a playmaking wide reciever, ie gonzalez bowe or jarret, at 31 and either blaylock or grubbs at 37. that would be the perfect draft.

Gonzalez at 31, are you kidding me? Take off the homer glasses bud. We don't need a playmaking WR, we need a big physical WR if we go thtat route.

awfullyquiet
04-24-2007, 05:38 PM
Gonzalez at 31, are you kidding me? Take off the homer glasses bud. We don't need a playmaking WR, we need a big physical WR if we go thtat route.

and everyone talks about steve smith who's not huge.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-24-2007, 06:28 PM
I will be on suicide watch if Gonzalez is drafted with the 31st overall pick.

sweetness34
04-24-2007, 10:06 PM
and everyone talks about steve smith who's not huge.

If we take Smith at #31 I'm going to shoot someone, ok I won't do that but I won't be too happy. Steve is a good slot option but we can pick that up later.

KBear
04-25-2007, 12:14 PM
I will be on suicide watch if Gonzalez is drafted with the 31st overall pick.

We all would be, ditto if they go Steve Smith in the first round. Both are good players, but I dont want the Bears to draft either of them with their first two picks. Neither seem like the typical 2nd round pick for Angelo and neither are really first round material, so I dont think its going to happen anyway.

awfullyquiet
04-25-2007, 04:24 PM
We all would be, ditto if they go Steve Smith in the first round. Both are good players, but I dont want the Bears to draft either of them with their first two picks. Neither seem like the typical 2nd round pick for Angelo and neither are really first round material, so I dont think its going to happen anyway.

total reach at 31 anyhow.

maybe its just me, but i'm the only one who thinks bradley can be a decent threat if he stays healthy, davis plays clutch lately... (which may or may not continue...) we need a big physical fourth wr i think, slot isn't even really our problem, we have two guys in each situation, and would fill it out with a big slot/4th wr to have a nice little situational slot receiver for third downs... i really think that's going to be lovie's goal this year. flexibility while still maintaining core abilities. ergo, the notion that they'll be looking for a speed back in the draft to compliment the othertwo. i agree that a nice big WR would be good. but the top half of the WR's aren't that. maybe paul williams... two fresno state kids playing WR. what a hoot. maybe with the fourth round? but that's about it.

SFbear
04-25-2007, 04:32 PM
http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=3339

It seems like the Bears are waiting until after the draft to give an offer to Ian Scott. He hasn't gotten the FA interest that he was expecting. I would think the Bears would at least give him a lowball offer considering the Tank situation. This makes me think we are targetting someone first day who would be an upgrade over Scott Like Justin Harrell or Brandon Mebane and if we don't get them we'll settle for Scott.

Hurricane Ditka
05-01-2007, 03:38 PM
Keyshawn Johnson got released today. I'd love to see us pick him up.

bearsfan_51
05-01-2007, 04:13 PM
Keyshawn Johnson got released today. I'd love to see us pick him up.

He's just a lesser version of Moose. I like Keyshawn ok but he's not going to want to come for a vet minimum and I don't think would really add anything new to our offense. Plus he wouldnt' start, and with his ego he would not be ok with that.

Bearsfan123
05-01-2007, 08:18 PM
He's just a lesser version of Moose. I like Keyshawn ok but he's not going to want to come for a vet minimum and I don't think would really add anything new to our offense. Plus he wouldnt' start, and with his ego he would not be ok with that.

co-sign 100%

dabears10
06-04-2007, 02:35 PM
So Tank got 8 games.

What effect does it have on what the team does if any, it seems they prepared well for it, and who do you want to see have the most playing time?

Does anyone else think that banning guys from practicing seems counter-productive? The guys play for sunday they aren't there for Monday-Friday. It would seem better to keep them busy.

NYmoney
06-04-2007, 04:07 PM
What's crap about the decision is that Tank can't practice with the team. I think he should just practice with the team the whole time, as opposed to just being suspended 6 games.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
06-04-2007, 04:23 PM
Would have liked to see 4.. Hopefully it's only 6.

I also hate the fact that he can't practice.

bearsfan_51
06-04-2007, 04:23 PM
Not a big blow. If anything he'll come back rested by week 7.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
06-04-2007, 05:47 PM
This could be a blessing in disguise after thinking about it for a little bit.

Tank usually starts the season off very well and then kinda fades off as the season goes on IMO. Has anyone else noticed this?

Maybe this way he stays fresh all year and is very disruptive for the full year.

regoob2
06-04-2007, 06:13 PM
exactly, its not like were not gonna make the playoffs cause of no tank. were playing for the super bowl win this year.

NYmoney
06-05-2007, 12:13 PM
this will also give DD the chance to get some PT.

Splat
06-14-2007, 01:37 PM
Chris Brown: Bears Interested? (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=rotowire-hrisrownearsntereste&prov=rotowire&type=fantasy)

NYmoney
06-14-2007, 02:02 PM
i like the potential signing. while i think AP is a good backup, brown could be an even better "steady" backup.

Hurricane Ditka
06-14-2007, 02:07 PM
Not liking what they see out of Garrett Wolfe?

Smokey Joe
06-14-2007, 02:47 PM
Not liking what they see out of Garrett Wolfe?

I don't know. From what I have heard before the draft and at rookie camp, the Bears loved Wolfe. And I can't see AP getting dumped/traded as Lovie and co. love him and rightfully so. What a waste of a 3rd round pick if Wolfe isn't cutting it.

awfullyquiet
06-14-2007, 06:56 PM
I don't know. From what I have heard before the draft and at rookie camp, the Bears loved Wolfe. And I can't see AP getting dumped/traded as Lovie and co. love him and rightfully so. What a waste of a 3rd round pick if Wolfe isn't cutting it.

somehow based on everything i've heard.
wolfe is doing fine, which is why, when i read this, i was suprised.
and AP... who knows?

sweetness34
06-14-2007, 09:42 PM

Huh? Wolfe is doing fine, he's really impressed so far.

Smokey Joe
06-14-2007, 09:59 PM
Huh? Wolfe is doing fine, he's really impressed so far.

Did I say otherwise? Lovie loves AP, no question about it. And from what I have heard they love Wolfe as well. The thing I don't get is why would we bring in Chris Brown when he won't be cheap as dirt and the odds of him making the team aren't likely?

sweetness34
06-15-2007, 03:30 PM
Did I say otherwise? Lovie loves AP, no question about it. And from what I have heard they love Wolfe as well. The thing I don't get is why would we bring in Chris Brown when he won't be cheap as dirt and the odds of him making the team aren't likely?

Maybe they want to save AP for ST duty, I don't know. Or maybe they want to create more competition.

SFbear
06-15-2007, 06:17 PM
This Chris Brown thing confuses me greatly. I guess there's the possibility the organization's confidence in Benson holding up all year is less than advertised.

Bears_Fan
06-17-2007, 10:28 AM
I guess there's the possibility the organization's confidence in Benson holding up all year is less than advertised.

I have been worried about this since TJ skipped practiced last year. However, Chris Brown is not the definition of durability. Could we be moving Wolfe into a slot receiver type of role? Although, I am not sure Wolfe has the size to be a situational WR.

DaBears9654
06-19-2007, 10:36 AM
Chris Brown: Bears Interested? (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=rotowire-hrisrownearsntereste&prov=rotowire&type=fantasy)
I wasn't surprised to see him re-sign with Tennessee if that and coming to the Bears were the options. It would have made no sense to draft someone in the 3rd round, filling up the 3 tailback spots, convert Hester to a WR/RB, and then, on top of those 2 moves, sign somebody else.

TitleTown088
06-22-2007, 07:07 PM
Tank.......? It dosen't sount too bad, but if he was drunk he's an idiot.
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-070622-bears,1,7203424.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Smokey Joe
06-22-2007, 09:41 PM
he needs to be cut. It seems like he was just talk.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
06-23-2007, 01:19 AM
Tank should be snipped quickly.

**** him. The guy was all bs about changing his life around. Ship him back to Cook County.

Dusty - you better step your game up.

VoteLynnSwan
06-24-2007, 12:53 AM
that's ridiculous that the cops said it would take 2 weeks for results for that blood-alchohol level... i work in a hospital lab, and that test takes 30 minutes tops.

sweetness34
06-24-2007, 09:31 PM
that's ridiculous that the cops said it would take 2 weeks for results for that blood-alchohol level... i work in a hospital lab, and that test takes 30 minutes tops.

More time to fabricate it...?

NYmoney
06-25-2007, 09:07 AM

I believe the wait is due to the que of tests. That is the only reasonable excuse.

NYmoney
06-25-2007, 09:08 AM
Tank should be snipped quickly.

**** him. The guy was all bs about changing his life around. Ship him back to Cook County.

Dusty - you better step your game up.

Duke Lax anyone? The guy has yet to be convicted of anything. Let the legal course tell us what really is the truth.

Bearsfan123
06-25-2007, 09:59 AM
Duke Lax anyone? The guy has yet to be convicted of anything. Let the legal course tell us what really is the truth.

Thats Pacmans excuse too. Its a pathetic response.

Tanks suspension is on for 8 games then.

Smokey Joe
06-25-2007, 02:31 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2916083

he gone.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
06-25-2007, 02:36 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2916083

he gone.

Good.

Now we can move on.

TitleTown088
06-25-2007, 04:14 PM
This is only the beginning of the end of the Ursus arctos.

Smokey Joe
06-25-2007, 04:16 PM
Vasher was signed to a 5 year extension!

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=3550

Smokey Joe
06-25-2007, 04:42 PM
deal is reportedly worth 28 million with a 14 million dollar signing bonus.

Now there are reports that the Bears are in discussions for an extension with Peanut.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
06-25-2007, 05:34 PM
deal is reportedly worth 28 million with a 14 million dollar signing bonus.

Now there are reports that the Bears are in discussions for an extension with Peanut.

Great news..

Am I the only one who thought for sure he was walking? I always figured Peanut would get resigned and Vasher would walk. I'm glad Vasher got locked up, hopefully Peanut can as well.

SFbear
06-25-2007, 06:39 PM
Anybody know where we can find some DT depth?

awfullyquiet
06-25-2007, 06:42 PM
yeah. two young corners who still got some time to grow.
fancy stuff y'know?

Smokey Joe
06-25-2007, 11:21 PM
Great news..

Am I the only one who thought for sure he was walking? I always figured Peanut would get resigned and Vasher would walk. I'm glad Vasher got locked up, hopefully Peanut can as well.
I thought the same thing as well.

Smokey Joe
06-25-2007, 11:22 PM
Anybody know where we can find some DT depth?

Tommie Harris, Dusty D, Anthony Adams, Isrial Idonije, and Anthony Garay... Tank is a good player and all, but I personally don't think he will be that big of a lose like some think he will be.

TitleTown088
06-26-2007, 01:02 AM
Tommie Harris, Dusty D, Anthony Adams, Isrial Idonije, and Anthony Garay... Tank is a good player and all, but I personally don't think he will be that big of a lose like some think he will be.

Whatever helps you sleep and night burly bear.

Smokey Joe
06-26-2007, 02:11 PM
Whatever helps you sleep and night burly bear.
yep, the Packers have sooooooo much good depth at DT:rolleyes:

TitleTown088
07-08-2007, 04:09 PM
Whats going on with Urlacher's baby momma?

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/11411

bearsfan_51
07-09-2007, 03:14 PM
Urlacher has made a series of bad personal choices, there's no doubt about that. Personally the Sun-Times article made me cringe a bit, for his terrible grammar if nothing else. I guess New Mexico doesn't have the best English program.

Btw, on the note of DT depth I think we're fine but if anyone gets injured for an extended period of time we're pretty ******. We REALLY need Tommie to stay healthy.

bearsfan_51
07-09-2007, 03:16 PM
I'm not in love with the Vasher extension to be honest. Moneywise it's a good deal but I have a feeling that Peanut will be significantly more and that we'll either have to let him walk next year or tie up too much money in the cornerback position (Ricky Manning Jr was given a rather hefty contract last year as well). It's just suprising that we'd offer Vasher more money per year than we did Briggs. There's no question in my mind that Briggs is the much better and valuable player.

iowatreat54
07-09-2007, 09:40 PM
Urlacher has made a series of bad personal choices, there's no doubt about that. Personally the Sun-Times article made me cringe a bit, for his terrible grammar if nothing else. I guess New Mexico doesn't have the best English program.

Btw, on the note of DT depth I think we're fine but if anyone gets injured for an extended period of time we're pretty ******. We REALLY need Tommie to stay healthy.

Do you honestly think it's that big of a deal? I mean he called his son's mom bad names and used bad words...all it is is the media blowing it outta proportion...who gives a crap

TitleTown088
07-10-2007, 12:21 AM

I agree 100%. I always thought of Urlacher as a stand up guy, but that kind of soured me towards him. This stuff I have been seeing makes him come off as sort of trashy and shallow. Maybe the barbwire tattoo is starting to show it's true representation? Meh, who knows, maybe he just needs to lay off the vitamin water for awhile.

bearsfan_51
07-10-2007, 12:50 AM
Do you honestly think it's that big of a deal? I mean he called his son's mom bad names and used bad words...all it is is the media blowing it outta proportion...who gives a crap

Read what I wrote. I could care less what he tells his baby's momma, I'm just dissapointed he comes off as so uneducated and white trash.

Smokey Joe
07-10-2007, 01:31 AM

Well, the Mother doesn't sound like much of an angel either...

Smokey Joe
07-10-2007, 01:33 AM
also, I heard a couple days ago that after the Olsen signing, the Bears have re-opened contract talks with Briggs. If we sign Briggs, I think that guarantees Tillman's departure at the end of the season. Also, if Briggs returns, we will have roughly 7,000 WILL linebackers.

bearsfan_51
07-10-2007, 02:12 AM
Well, the Mother doesn't sound like much of an angel either...
Well I didn't shell out a bunch of money on her jersey either.

SFbear
07-10-2007, 11:44 AM
Read what I wrote. I could care less what he tells his baby's momma, I'm just dissapointed he comes off as so uneducated and white trash.

Well theyre angry text messages so I think grammar usually goes out the window. I agree that he sounds trashy but I think all of us have resorted to less than eloquent speech when a woman has pressed our buttons. Add into the mix a kid who she never lets you see.

Either way they don't make them like Walter Payton anymore.

Smokey Joe
07-10-2007, 01:26 PM
I don't even see why people care. IT IS HIS LIFE you know. It's not like he is Elijah Dukes who is fathering 27 illegitimate children and then threatening to kill the mothers.

As long as it doesn't effect his on the field play, I hardly see a reason why anyone else but Urlacher, that striper, their friends and family should care.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
07-10-2007, 02:13 PM
Both Urlacher & the mother need to grow up..

I feel bad for the child..

(Wait no I don't .. his father is Urlacher .. He will get so much ass later in life just because of that!)

BUSTKUNTLAWL
07-10-2007, 02:14 PM
Is it confirmed that she was indeed a stripper? I didn't follow the whole child custody thing, becasue I simply didn't care.

TitleTown088
07-10-2007, 10:03 PM
Damn, I just found out that I have to drive to Chicago next week to get my student Visa. You guys better pray at leased part Soldier field survives the suicide attack.

dabears10
07-16-2007, 03:12 PM
Drew Rosenhaus was just on NFL Live, and it seems very unlikely that Briggs will sit out. I think he just doesn't like JA and still loves his team.

iowatreat54
07-16-2007, 03:24 PM
well, if Briggs does play he has to play for the franchise tag price of $7 million or whatever because he failed to sign before 3 pm today...

Bearsfan123
07-20-2007, 11:51 AM
For the Wide Receivers we are most likely going to carry 5. We already have 4 locks in with Moose, Berrian, Hester, Bradley, and then there is Rashied Davis (the most likely), David Ball, Drisan James, Mike Hass, Brandon Rideau, and Timon Marshall for the fifth spot.

So whos gonna be the fifth? and any of these other guys bring anything special to the team?

bearsfan_51
07-20-2007, 12:50 PM
Rashied Davis isn't even a question. He's going to make the team.

The only question is if we keep 6 WR's, and from everything I've read and have been hearing that is a very good chance of happening. Larry Mayer basically said as much in one of his more recent columns. It's between Hass, Rideau, Ball, and James. Probably in that order. See my depth chart thread for any positional ranking questions.

Bears_Fan
07-24-2007, 11:17 PM
We agreed to an extension with Tillman through 2013. This is awesome.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=3610

awfullyquiet
07-25-2007, 02:54 AM
Indeed.
Very good thing.
Strongest DB's in the league now for even more years to come.
In time we're going to have some serious capable talent on our hnds. but we have solid talent now. I hope in a few years will have some quality CB's fighting for #1.

dabears10
07-25-2007, 09:53 AM
story on espn says the bears are close to signing briggs to a one year deal. Nice that he is thinking instead of rosenhaus. Hopefully we get him to camp on time.

bearsfan_51
07-25-2007, 11:08 AM
story on espn says the bears are close to signing briggs to a one year deal. Nice that he is thinking instead of rosenhaus. Hopefully we get him to camp on time.
This move was to be expected. What suprises me was that he was willing to do it before training camp, rather than skipping everything and still getting paid the exact same amount by week 1. It's pretty clear that Briggs is going to show up at some point, but he needs a way to save face. This is the way to do it.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
07-25-2007, 02:19 PM
Briggs obviously loves his teammates.

I think he realizes this team should win the Super Bowl next year, and he wants to be part of it.

Hopefully he gets into camp on time.

And is there any doubt that the Bears are one of if not the best run franchise in football right now? JA locking up everyone & not being afraid to stick to his guns and trade Briggs for the #6. Brilliant. Freaking Brilliant.

Bearsfan123
07-25-2007, 04:01 PM
Bazuin signed. http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=3612

yes!

SFbear
07-25-2007, 04:27 PM
Briggs obviously loves his teammates.

I think he realizes this team should win the Super Bowl next year, and he wants to be part of it.

Hopefully he gets into camp on time.

And is there any doubt that the Bears are one of if not the best run franchise in football right now? JA locking up everyone & not being afraid to stick to his guns and trade Briggs for the #6. Brilliant. Freaking Brilliant.

www.firejerryangelo.com

BUSTKUNTLAWL
07-25-2007, 04:39 PM
www.firejerryangelo.com

"End the reign of incompetence now!"

LMAO!

"Cedric Benson Cash Count
$147,679.32 per yard"

Funny stuff.

sweetness34
07-25-2007, 07:52 PM
Tillman signs, Briggs signs, and Bazuin signs. Well that pretty much shuts up all the drama of the offseason. Tank is gone so we don't have to deal with his ass anymore, the Briggs drama fest is over, and we signed all of our draft picks already to go along with resigning our two CB's.

DaBears9654
07-25-2007, 10:56 PM
I'm glad Briggs re-signed. 2008, though, he'll be somewhere else. I just hope he doesn't commit football treason and head for Green Bay.

Hurricane Ditka
07-25-2007, 10:57 PM
Now we just need Tommie and Berrian locked up long term and we're good to go.

TitleTown088
07-25-2007, 11:17 PM
I'm glad Briggs re-signed. 2008, though, he'll be somewhere else. I just hope he doesn't commit football treason and head for Green Bay. Yeah, I mean it's not like the Packers used up a 5th overall pick for their Will one year ago...

I think he realizes this team should win the Super Bowl next year

Ha,Really? I'll be waiting for that..

bearsfan_51
07-25-2007, 11:17 PM
Tillman signs, Briggs signs, and Bazuin signs. Well that pretty much shuts up all the drama of the offseason. Tank is gone so we don't have to deal with his ass anymore, the Briggs drama fest is over, and we signed all of our draft picks already to go along with resigning our two CB's.

http://indiana.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/griese_grossman_mar_2006_5.jpg

bearsfan_51
07-25-2007, 11:18 PM
Yeah, I mean it's not like the Packers used up a 5th overall pick for their Will one year ago...

Well either way we'll beat the monkey piss out of the Packers again.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
07-25-2007, 11:22 PM
Yeah, I mean it's not like the Packers used up a 5th overall pick for their Will one year ago...

I hope so.. I wouldn't want you to be waiting for the Packers to be going to the Super Bowl seeing that is never going to happen in the distant future.

TitleTown088
07-25-2007, 11:32 PM
I hope so.. I wouldn't want you to be waiting for the Packers to be going to the Super Bowl seeing that is never going to happen in the distant future.

Hey, I'm not the one saying my team is the clear cut super bowl favorite on July 25th.

DaBears9654
07-25-2007, 11:37 PM
There's a thread on ChicagoBears.com asking if fans will boo Briggs and the most likely answer is some yes, some no. I'm in the latter group. Why? B/c, as I said (I'll try not to make this a dead horse comment), imo, Briggs was Rosenhaus' puppet. 2ndly, there's absolutely no reason to jeer a (deserving) 2-time Pro Bowl linebacker.

bearsfan_51
07-25-2007, 11:47 PM
Why would they boo him? For what? For missing the optional team workouts. The dude didn't miss a day of camp, honestly that pisses me off they would even put that question on the official website.

TitleTown088
07-25-2007, 11:58 PM
Why would they boo him? For what? For missing the optional team workouts. The dude didn't miss a day of camp, honestly that pisses me off they would even put that question on the official website.
That's because you have a man crush on Briggs. Trust me, I know the symptoms.

Smokey Joe
07-26-2007, 01:19 AM
Buzz signs, 4 year deal. All 9 picks have now signed...

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=3612

DaBears9654
07-26-2007, 10:38 AM
Buzz signs, 4 year deal. All 9 picks have now signed...

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=3612
Yay! No holdouts!

DaBears9654
07-26-2007, 11:27 AM
True, but Briggs played the Sam as a rookie.

TitleTown088
07-26-2007, 09:14 PM
True, but Briggs played the Sam as a rookie.

That would be one expensive Sam for the Packers.

ShutDwn
08-02-2007, 02:08 PM
Apparently you guys traded us Chris Harris for draft pick?

We needed a guy like him, someone with some starting experience. Not sure if he will start or anything. Deffinatley be given the chance to compete though.

awfullyquiet
08-02-2007, 04:51 PM
Apparently you guys traded us Chris Harris for draft pick?

We needed a guy like him, someone with some starting experience. Not sure if he will start or anything. Deffinatley be given the chance to compete though.

With mike minter dying. yeah. Chris Harris was probably a great pickup.

Bearsfan123
08-02-2007, 10:57 PM
im sad to see him go. Although I am very high on Brandon McGowan im not sure he can stay on the field and Chris Harris is a solid hard hitting safety.

TitleTown088
08-04-2007, 12:28 AM
http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/resources/2007/03/urlboob.jpg

Is this new?

bearsfan_51
08-04-2007, 01:30 AM
http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/resources/2007/03/urlboob.jpg

Is this new?
I believe that is older, the guy on the left is Jerry Azumah and he retired a few years ago. Either way, I applaud anyone trying to restore the Bears reputation in picking up hot women after Kyle Orton did so much to destroy it. Grossman's wife is pretty hot too.

TitleTown088
08-04-2007, 02:01 AM
I believe that is older, the guy on the left is Jerry Azumah and he retired a few years ago. Either way, I applaud anyone trying to restore the Bears reputation in picking up hot women after Kyle Orton did so much to destroy it. Grossman's wife is pretty hot too.

Meh, that woman is technically way out of my" league", but I honestly find boobs like that unattractive... to big and fake looking. She's a good looking girl, she didn't need to do that. Not that is would stop me from getting the deed done...

BTW You come close to 35W lately?

BUSTKUNTLAWL
08-04-2007, 12:13 PM
Azumah parties a lot in the city lol.

He is a player, no doubt.

bearsfan_51
08-04-2007, 01:38 PM
BTW You come close to 35W lately?
Nope. I was in town last weekend but I don't actually move for real for two more weeks.

TitleTown088
08-04-2007, 01:48 PM
Nope. I was in town last weekend but I don't actually move for real for two more weeks.
Want to go to a Twins game? I'll let you sit on my lap.

Smokey Joe
08-05-2007, 10:44 PM
Dante Wesley was told not to show up for family night, or whatever it is called, tonight, and has been told he will be either traded or released.

This comes as no surprise, because Dante Wesley was signed as a special teams player and he was terrible at that.

I, Smokey Joe, smell like farts.

Bearsfan123
08-06-2007, 10:46 AM
Dante Wesley was told not to show up for family night, or whatever it is called, tonight, and has been told he will be either traded or released.

This comes as no surprise, because Dante Wesley was signed as a special teams player and he was terrible at that.

im not surprised. You're right he was terrible on STs.

bearsfan_51
08-06-2007, 11:21 AM
If I were the Packers (which, thank god I'm not) I'd sign Wesley up, or even offer a 7th rounder to make sure nobody else did. Their cornerback depth is absolutely terrible.

And yes, you do smell like farts.

Smokey Joe
08-06-2007, 01:24 PM
you've been hanging outside my house again? cracking open my bedroom window so you can get a whiff?

bearsfan_51
08-07-2007, 05:56 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/cs-070807bears,1,2239949.story?coll=cs-bears-headlines

Dante Wesley traded to the Pats for an undisclosed. Probably 6th or 7th round pick. See ya later.

Smokey Joe
08-07-2007, 09:21 PM
i'll take it any day of the week.

TitleTown088
08-07-2007, 09:45 PM
If I were the Packers (which, thank god I'm not) I'd sign Wesley up, or even offer a 7th rounder to make sure nobody else did. Their cornerback depth is absolutely terrible.

Actually BF, the young guys like Bush and Blackmon are looking perdy day gon good thus far. Oh yeah and don't forget about the boy wonder Patrick Dendy.

SeanTaylorRIP
08-11-2007, 10:24 PM
Fontel Mines had no idea he was with you guys and I hear he's a TE, that's great although he was a bad WR at Virginia I always thought physically he was perfect to be an H-Back.

bearsfan_51
08-11-2007, 11:03 PM
Fontel Mines had no idea he was with you guys and I hear he's a TE, that's great although he was a bad WR at Virginia I always thought physically he was perfect to be an H-Back.
Barring a major injury he'll make the practice squad if anything. Our tightends are set.

bearfan
08-11-2007, 11:45 PM
Not to impressed tonight. I know it was just preseason, and the 1st game for that matter, but I expected more out of the backups. Garrett Wolfe looked pretty good to me even though it was just against backups. All the QBs looked great for the 1st preseason game, nice tight spirals, and fit them into some tight squeezes. WRs looked good IMO too. I wish we saw more of hester on offense.

bearsfan_51
08-11-2007, 11:46 PM
A few quick thoughts from watching the game.

-1st team defense looked good, but you can obviously tell the difference without Tommie and Urlacher in there. Darren Walker had a few plays where he got moved but Dusty looked real nice.
-Mark Anderson made a few nice plays catching runners on stretch plays from behind. Although he'll never be beastly against the run, being able to catch runningbacks from behind is a big asset. The guy has a hell of a motor too.
-Benson hits the whole like a mo-fucka, but you can't help but think the guy looks stiff comparing him to Jones.
-Didn't ask Grossman to do much, but he looked to have improved pocket presence. Griese and Orton looked good too other than that terrible Grossman-esque INT by Griese.
-Greg Olsen was a good pick. A very very good pick.
-Dan Bazuin and Garrett Wolfe may not have been. Wolfe looks to have some versatility, but I'd still feel more comfortable if we had Antonio Pittman backing up Benson instead.
-Special teams coverage needs a lot of work, but they are trying lots of guys out so not much concern there.

Doesn't look like anyone got hurt, and it's always nice to win, even if it's in garbage time. The Texans are one of the worst teams in the league so it's hard to gauge much, but I like the way we came out and played hard.

bearsfan_51
08-11-2007, 11:53 PM
By the way, I don't remember which paper it was but they were talking about Israel Idonije's good coverage which couldn't be further from the truth. In both plays the Texans broke loose it was his inability to close in on the runner that allowed them to go free.

bearfan
08-12-2007, 12:05 AM
Yeah, goodpoint on Benson 51. I thought he looked kind slow out of the start at times, and just didnt look like he was going as hard as he could. Also him trying to juke made me want to hurl. God gave you power...use it

awfullyquiet
08-12-2007, 12:58 AM
It was interesting. i'm watching it... again. The passing was decent, the WR's looked crisp, I again remember why I hate watching preseason football on NBC, the camera work is ultra-shoddy.

Positive news.
Beekman = Heads Up Player.
Ball, Rideau, Mines, Hass = the one time i might say we have too much of a good thing.
One Sack.
Robbie Gould is still Robbie Gould.
Benson catching
Briggs in a bears Uni.
Orton looked comfortable, for maybe the first time ever. He's also so god damn cute, i'm glad he shaved his beard.
Alex Brown still played.
Red Zone Defense was destructive. Took ron dayne and gado out of the house.

Bad Things
John St. Clair... but we knew that.
Benson running. i think he hit the off tackle with some pop, and some play near the end he got his shoulder down and really did some NFL quality drop the shoulder and cause some pain. other than that, lackluster!
Field Position, returns, punting, special teams coverage unit.
Non-starting O-Line...
Non-Starting D-Line... nothing made me jump out of my seat and say, yeah, so they're in the rotation, but they didn't create sacks, albiet there was some pressure, it wasn't big.

NOW ON THE OTHER HAND, as far as coaching goes.

6-2? 4-4? What was going on on defense. I was so confused. Offense was understandable, but defense? I didn't know if they were dropping LB's down, corners, safeties, had 5 linemen. It was confusing because i couldn't see. Anyone have any analysis on what babich and lovie gameplaned?

bearsfan_51
08-12-2007, 10:29 AM
6-2? 4-4? What was going on on defense. I was so confused. Offense was understandable, but defense? I didn't know if they were dropping LB's down, corners, safeties, had 5 linemen. It was confusing because i couldn't see. Anyone have any analysis on what babich and lovie gameplaned?
They are playing Archuleta VERY close to the line. I noticed that too. That's probably why it looked more like a 4-4.

As for the reserve D-Line, I actually thought they did a pretty nice job. Although they were playing the Texans 2nd string O-line so take that with a giant grain of salt.

DaBears9654
08-12-2007, 07:10 PM
It seems that one of those lame (after he's come up with about a bazillion of them) Chris Berman nicknames truly does fit our place kicker: Robbie "Good As" Gould.

Smokey Joe
08-12-2007, 07:27 PM
Brandon McGowan looked real good... now all he needs to do is stay healthy.

And I loved what I saw from Dusty D. He showed good energy and emotion, good penetration, and was always around the ball carrier it seemed.

Kyle Orton was making some impressive throws as well.

The 2nd OL looked pretty brutal though.

Smokey Joe
08-12-2007, 07:31 PM
Oh yeah, it is gonna be interesting to see who gets the final spot. Right now it seems like it is between carring a 5th/6th receiver or a 10th DB. Well, unless someone goes on the IR who doesn't really need replacing (Metcalf or Beekman for example)

bearfan
08-12-2007, 09:10 PM
Brandon McGowan looked real good... now all he needs to do is stay healthy.

And I loved what I saw from Dusty D. He showed good energy and emotion, good penetration, and was always around the ball carrier it seemed.

Kyle Orton was making some impressive throws as well.

The 2nd OL looked pretty brutal though.

Yeah, I was real excited to see Orton because of all the hype he has been getting, and IMO he lived up to it *even though it was just against backups*. He had some tough throws to make because as you said the 2nd OL was brutal.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
08-12-2007, 10:12 PM
The 3rd n 1 inside the 1 that Briggs blew up was absolutely sick. He's in mid season form already.. Good to see.

sweetness34
08-13-2007, 11:18 AM
No Urlacher, no Harris in the 1st Game, no big deal. We played like crap last year too in preseason and look what happened. And Carolina was dominant. Doesn't mean s***.

awfullyquiet
08-14-2007, 04:19 PM
No Urlacher, no Harris in the 1st Game, no big deal. We played like crap last year too in preseason and look what happened. And Carolina was dominant. Doesn't mean s***.

So was oakland.

The only thing that really matters about preseason is in broad generalizations...

SFbear
08-14-2007, 05:16 PM
http://assets.chicagobears.com/UserFiles/Image/story_photos/Dvoracek_inside081407.jpg

Dusty Dvoracek will eat your soul.

DaBears9654
08-14-2007, 06:46 PM
The article on ChicagoBears.com makes me wonder if we could have an all-OU starting DT pair with Harris & Dvoracek.

bearsfan_51
08-14-2007, 06:54 PM
If we don't start Walker then immediately giving him a 5 year 25 million deal was the dumbest move Angelo has made as of yet (with the exception of maybe drafting Michael Haynes)

SFbear
08-14-2007, 07:05 PM
If we don't start Walker then immediately giving him a 5 year 25 million deal was the dumbest move Angelo has made as of yet (with the exception of maybe drafting Michael Haynes)

Unless were not resigning Tommie...

Hurricane Ditka
08-14-2007, 07:11 PM
Unless were not resigning Tommie...If Jerry Angelo has any sense that's not likely.

awfullyquiet
08-15-2007, 04:58 AM

Yeah.
I was leery of it before he signed, because i was like, we have some good depth here. and then we kept signing DT players.

dusty now is the odd man out. either he becomes better than walker and we suck some cash for backup (but didn't we do that with griese too?)

somehow as much as i love angelo, the money he spends makes no sense.

DaBears9654
08-15-2007, 12:21 PM
Unless were not resigning Tommie...
If Tommie Harris walks, Angelo should be immediately fired.

bearsfan_51
08-15-2007, 12:42 PM
If Tommie Harris walks, Angelo should be immediately fired.
Yeah since Angelo didn't draft him and hire the coach that has helped him grow.

Obviously I would like to resign Tommie, and I'm sure we will, but it's getting to the point where people are really starting to overate him. He's a tremendous talent sure but unless he can stay healthy for a full season what good does it do us. His first two seasons were good, but nothing spectacular to put him up there with Sapp in his prime. I am actually glad they are waiting to resign Tommie. To give a guy coming off a season ending injury a massive signing bonus doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Not to mention he's still got two full years left on his contract.

Either way, Jerry Angelo is more responsible for turning this team around than anyone, the only one that could even remotely challenge that is Lovie Smith.

DaBears9654
08-15-2007, 09:30 PM
Yeah since Angelo didn't draft him and hire the coach that has helped him grow.
Drafting a great player doesn't mean jack if he signs elsewhere.

Anyway, what I came on here to say is that I'm watching the current re-broadcast of the pre-season game vs. Houston and Payne looked mad at himself for not making that INT in the 4th quarter.

bearsfan_51
08-15-2007, 10:32 PM
Drafting a great player doesn't mean jack if he signs elsewhere.
Yeah...those first five years you get the player are meaningless. Good point. We never should have drafted Briggs in the first place. After all he was just going to leave after five years.

DaBears9654
08-16-2007, 11:30 AM
Whatever. My point obviously won't come across.

KBear
08-16-2007, 01:41 PM
With the signing of Clinton Solomon (Iowa guy) and the release of Aaron Brant (iowa state guy) this makes me very happy.

awfullyquiet
08-17-2007, 03:22 AM
Yeah...those first five years you get the player are meaningless. Good point. We never should have drafted Briggs in the first place. After all he was just going to leave after five years.

we can't work a deal with briggs either next year. shame. i woulda liked it, but either okwe or williams will really have to step up and save us some cash.

i was looking at the salary cap, and it's going to be TOUGH even with the 7 mil increase next year. that seven mill will probably be spent on harris, and if briggs leaves, the money that would be designated to him, around 7 mil or so a year as well, would be used to pay grossman and berrian for a few years...

but it will be close. damn close. and then urlacher will be looking for money too.
walker was really expensive. 5mil a year. the DT's will consume 1/10th of the total cap.
it's making my head hurt.

Bearsfan123
08-17-2007, 10:53 AM
ouch that sucks....

Number 10
08-18-2007, 06:34 PM
How has Benson looked thus far?

bearfan
08-19-2007, 11:49 PM
haha, was just reading some of the stuff at the Bears message board, and saw this. I thought this was pretty comical

Yes, I said "EL Ced" as he was known here in Midland, Tx. (That's how he signed a football for me to give to my dying brother). My brother was his biggest fan before he passed away. And would be today, were he here.

Now that Cedric is finally getting the chance to show his stuff, all the inbred idiots and children posting all the crap about him over the last 3 seasons are about to be force-fed every drop of it right back down your 'no-talent percieving' mouths!

It all started when Ced held out for the going pay for a fourth pick, instead of settling for the lowball offers he was getting. The reason why? It was obvious when your "all world" center decided he would 'butt-cheek' block a noseguard that drove him right back into the backfield where he met Cedric almost as soon as he got the ball. Thus laying him over with his ankle touching his hip. (lets see one of you clowns come back from that-and just walk- much less run like Ced does!) Had that crippled him, all he would've had was "OOOoohh! I played one pre-season for the Bears and all I got was this reconstructive surgery and an Olin Kruetz "ooops" signed picture." No- he held out for the money to protect him and his family if he hadn't turned out to be as tough & talented as he is!!

Then- everybody's got to act like he personally insulted their mother for not being happy to be stuck behind an inferior back like T. Jones! All you clowns who put Ced down for not taking the starting job are just blowing smoke up your own arses. When you get 1/4 the carries- when the Def. knows you are getting the ball is not a fair chance to show what you got. Were the situation reversed, Ced would've doubled what 'two-step' twinkletoes Thomas did!

Mark my words, What he has, hasn't even been given a chance yet!! This man is 'the real deal' wheather you like it or not. I've already noticed the bandwagon weasels who've jumped on the wagon, yet wrote trash about him for a long tome now! Not to mention "Omlettpants"? What the heck is that? it sure ain't someone who knows about players!! Sounds more like 'Spongebobs' *** lover!!

Anyways, all I'm sayin' is watch this man now. You've derided and insulted his talent and intelligence, you've called him 'egocentic', 'greedy', 'whiner' and every other insult you could think of- and now he will sacrafice all he has to show you what he's got - And It's GOOD!!!

In my opinion, after the fans abuse, his own teammates injuring him, I hope he turns out to be the premier back in the League - then finds a team that appreciates him. And leaves you crying about your Ennis's and nutt-hugging Jones lovers!

So Go For It Cedric!!! Do what you've done ever since you've been strappin' 'em on!! Break their Bones, Break their Records, Then Break their Hearts!! Then maybe they'll learn how to treat an honest man Decent!!

'NUFF CED!!!

TitleTown088
08-21-2007, 12:27 AM
Sweetness, I mean no disrespect with this question.... But how in the world can Rex Grossman be your favorite player?

SFbear
08-21-2007, 06:48 PM
Everybody has been quiet since the Colts game so I'll put a few thoughts out there

Positives

-Devin Hester/D. Manning returns
-Impressive goal line stand
-Dusty demanding double teams
-Coverage unit looks improved since last game, nice strip by R.Manning Jr.
-Rex's throw to Berrian when he was flushed out of the pocket was a marked improvement mechanically from last year
-Griese looked pretty smooth against the Colts 2nd string D
-Jamar Williams, McGowan, Kevin Payne, and Corey Graham looked impressive
-Archuletta did not seem like a liability in coverage as far as I could tell

Negatives
-Rex's snap problems, this is pee wee football stuff and absolutely infuriating. I realize its probably nerves but that doesn't make it any less of a concern, even Pep looked dumbfounded
-Vasher was getting killed in man to man
-O-line was dissapointing
-Benson was unimpressive, couldve had a TD if he followed Ruben on the screen properly
-Didn't see much from Darwin Walker as far as pass rush
-I might have been watching the wrong player, but did Bazuin look incredibly slow out there

awfullyquiet
08-21-2007, 07:52 PM
Everybody has been quiet since the Colts game so I'll put a few thoughts out there

Positives

-Devin Hester/D. Manning returns
-Impressive goal line stand
-Dusty demanding double teams
-Coverage unit looks improved since last game, nice strip by R.Manning Jr.
-Rex's throw to Berrian when he was flushed out of the pocket was a marked improvement mechanically from last year
-Griese looked pretty smooth against the Colts 2nd string D
-Jamar Williams, McGowan, Kevin Payne, and Corey Graham looked impressive
-Archuletta did not seem like a liability in coverage as far as I could tell

Negatives
-Rex's snap problems, this is pee wee football stuff and absolutely infuriating. I realize its probably nerves but that doesn't make it any less of a concern, even Pep looked dumbfounded
-Vasher was getting killed in man to man
-O-line was dissapointing
-Benson was unimpressive, couldve had a TD if he followed Ruben on the screen properly
-Didn't see much from Darwin Walker as far as pass rush
-I might have been watching the wrong player, but did Bazuin look incredibly slow out there

I agree with most everything.

but obviously the snap problem is something completely ridiculuous because. A he's beind an elite center who know what he's doing. He has to follow his timing of his footwork pulling out. I bet you kreutz will have the exact same timing from down to blocking every time. grossman just needs to really step it up. Yes, his footwork was better. He squared his hips. He was accurate (9-11, 58yds? And sure, given the course of a game, if he woulda thrown a touchdown, all the papers wouldn't have been boohooing him for only having a 'dismal' 57 passer rating...) Both of the running backs all pre-season haven't really wowed me.

I was actually really shocked when they put vasher man on wayne, didn't draw briggs or hunter to the sides to really crunch them on the sidelines and leave the middle open (much akin to what we did in the superbowl, but this time it woulda made sense because they weren't throwing any crossing routes)...

Dusty was good. Dusty was really good. He showed the motor and better hands than he did this time last year (and even last week)... Tony Ugoh got ran over, the pocket collapsed around manning, and it looked good against one of the most cohesive O-lines in the league.

thefalconer
08-29-2007, 07:11 PM
how is muhsin muhammad gonna be this season? should i have him on my fantasy team or s. holmes from pittsburgh?

SFbear
08-29-2007, 07:37 PM
how is muhsin muhammad gonna be this season? should i have him on my fantasy team or s. holmes from pittsburgh?

I think he is going to get beat by Berrian for the number one reciever spot, but Berrian demanding more attention could result in more oppurtunities for Moose. My instincts say Holmes.

thefalconer
08-30-2007, 03:43 PM
gracias!!!

awfullyquiet
08-30-2007, 06:29 PM
gracias!!!

i agree

moose is good for at least 800 and a half dozen TD's.
so is berrian...

holmes is opposite hines ward. but afc north corners aren't all that spectacular. really is a coinflip based on matchups.

neko4
08-31-2007, 06:11 PM
Hows Garrett Wolfe done?

bearfan
08-31-2007, 06:15 PM
Hows Garrett Wolfe done?

Apparently he did real well in the finale. All throughout, I thought he looked good. I mean, he isnt going to over power anyone, but he is small, and had seriously went under some guys arms. I think his stats wont show the job he did because at least 2 times a game, the defenders were in the backfield before he got the ball

SuperKevin
09-10-2007, 04:35 AM
Your new DC Bob Babich has the Bears defense looking even scarier than last year. He's blitzing from all over and keeping QBs on their toes. Ron Rivera never would have sent Vasher in on so many blitzes

bearsfan_51
09-10-2007, 10:12 AM
Your new DC Bob Babich has the Bears defense looking even scarier than last year. He's blitzing from all over and keeping QBs on their toes. Ron Rivera never would have sent Vasher in on so many blitzes

Yeah that's one definite silver lining in the loss, I was absolutely in love with what Babich was doing sending guys all over the place. They prepared very very well for the Chargers and it showed.

I'm already resigned myself to the fact that Mike Brown will likely never play for the Bears (and probably anyone else for that matter) ever again. I never bought into him as fully back anyway, and it's time to see what Danieal Manning can do.

My much bigger concern is the health of Dvorack. If we lose him that would be a big blow both football-wise and emotionally wise. He's a real young kid that already missed last season. I'd hate to see his career end before it even begins.

Vince Lombardi
09-10-2007, 04:31 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3013189

Man, even as a Packers fan I feel bad for Mike Brown. He's always seemed like a nice enough guy but I've never seen somebody so injury prone.

Sounds like Dvoracek is done for the season too, tough break.....

bearfan
09-10-2007, 04:39 PM
Jerry Angelo game plans like no other. Its a tough break for both Dusty and Mike, but you have to hand it to Angelo:
-trade for Archuletta
-trade for Darwin Walker
-Draft Daniel Manning, Dusty Dvorchek 2006

He ammased such depth, I hope he stays for a long long time

SuperKevin
09-10-2007, 10:44 PM
Wow another missed season for Mike Brown and Dusty Dvoracek. That really sucks for them

bearfan
09-11-2007, 05:13 PM
This is annoying. We lose to a top team, where we grind it out. He contain LT, and thats not brought up in the media. Foxsports were saying that Grossman is in trouble cause LT had more tD passes than him, but he had more than Rivers too. Media is ********. Watch the freakin game, and then say that sort of crap

joercky
09-13-2007, 07:14 AM
Bears fans I come in peace but check out the SI power rankings and see what Ron Rivera told Matt Wilhelm about GROSS-Man. Your old DC called him a "mental midget" who basically can't handle trash talking. Just another reason to switch to Brian Griese.

bearsfan_51
09-13-2007, 08:30 AM
Becuase of what Ron Rivera said? What does Rivera know about our quarterbacks? See my sig.

TitleTown088
09-13-2007, 09:02 AM
Becuase of what Ron Rivera said? What does Rivera know about our quarterbacks? See my sig.
That Benson quote is stupid... what did he run for agianst SD ? 40 yards with a 2 yard per carry average? Yeah, hes running people over left and right on the chargers defense.

bearsfan_51
09-13-2007, 09:24 AM
That Benson quote is stupid... what did he run for agianst SD ? 40 yards with a 2 yard per carry average? Yeah, hes running people over left and right on the chargers defense.

What did LT run for? Guess he's terrible too. Watching the game I don't remember Phillips doing anything in run defense, he's a glorified speed rusher that isn't a very good tackler, same with Merriman. I'm not saying both aren't tremendous assets, but for Phillips to come out and talk about how he wore Benson down is ridiculous. Stick to rushing the passer.