PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Bears Discussion

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Smokey Joe
11-22-2006, 09:14 PM
Draft Irons in the first round and he'll expect feature back carries.
I don't think so, especially when you were drafted late 1st. Is Benson getting feature back carries? Look at Reggie Bush. He is getting 10 carries a game. And he was drafted 2nd overall.

bearsfan_51
11-22-2006, 10:46 PM
The odds of Jones getting traded is probably at or around 15-20%. Some of you highly overestimate the value of our own players on the market. Why would a team give up a first day pick for a runningback nearing 30 that has one year left on his contract? It makes no sense.

sweetness34
11-22-2006, 11:27 PM
The thing is Cedric has looked good when he's gotten chances. I've liked what I've seen from him so far this season and I want to see him get more touches. If TJ fumbles again this week Ced should get more carries. He had 10 carries for what 54 yards on Sunday.

Everytime we say TJ should be benched he comes up with a 100 yard game. But I think if he slips up again Cedric will get his shot.
Cedric has not looked good. He is not a dynamic back. He runs straight into the pile and falls down. Hell, he has a 3.3 ypc average. He has looked very very very very average. Give that added to his *********** attitude and there's no reason, other than his contract, that he should be starting.

Considering Ced has gotten spot carries all season, um yea I'd say he's done pretty darn well. When given his shot, he won't disappoint.

If TJ fumbles again this week or has a bad game; I want to see what he can do. At least then we can rule out if he is our future RB or not.
How do you know?

And TJ didn't fumble. His knee was down.After the ball came out.
The official record shall state that he did not fumble. That's all that matters. Jones rushed for over 5 ypc and has lit it up the last few weeks and you guys are still calling for Benson. Unbelievable. I could care less what 07 brings. Let's worry about what makes us the best football team to win the Superbowl in 06.

TJ has put the ball on the ground twice in two weeks, that's why I'm kinda of calling for Benson.

TJ has had about 5 good games and 5 ok/decnt games this season. Didn't do jack against Green Bay, Detroit, or Minnesota. Kicked it up against Seattle and Buffalo, did ok against Arizona, did good against San Fran, didn't do well against Miami, did well against NY and did well against the other NY.

He needs to do this game in and game out. If he doesn't give us anything on Sunday I want to see more Benson, period.

thats laughable. You blame him for bad games when for the first couple games this year, we were focused on the pass and the guy was coming back to the first squad from injury. Thats dumb imo, he held us up last year, and is getting his groove this year, and you wanna pull him out if he has a decent game or a fumble? (which by the way EVERYONE has one now and then)

Please stop worrying about the "future of the franchise" and look at the now. Has Benson looked good? At times. But Jones has looked good too. I say we continue the amount of carries of 20-25 Jones 5-15 Benson and play the season out. In the offseason we can worry about the rb position.

TJ cannot put the ball on the ground, period. Our team cannot afford to turn the ball over. And if TJ puts it on the ground again I'll call for Benson.

That and TJ has missed more than his share of pass blocking assignments this season, something that he's very good at doing (although Ced needs so work in that area as well).

bearsfan_51
11-23-2006, 01:13 AM
The thing is Cedric has looked good when he's gotten chances. I've liked what I've seen from him so far this season and I want to see him get more touches. If TJ fumbles again this week Ced should get more carries. He had 10 carries for what 54 yards on Sunday.

Everytime we say TJ should be benched he comes up with a 100 yard game. But I think if he slips up again Cedric will get his shot.
Cedric has not looked good. He is not a dynamic back. He runs straight into the pile and falls down. Hell, he has a 3.3 ypc average. He has looked very very very very average. Give that added to his *********** attitude and there's no reason, other than his contract, that he should be starting.

Considering Ced has gotten spot carries all season, um yea I'd say he's done pretty darn well. When given his shot, he won't disappoint.

If TJ fumbles again this week or has a bad game; I want to see what he can do. At least then we can rule out if he is our future RB or not.
How do you know?

And TJ didn't fumble. His knee was down.After the ball came out.
The official record shall state that he did not fumble. That's all that matters. Jones rushed for over 5 ypc and has lit it up the last few weeks and you guys are still calling for Benson. Unbelievable. I could care less what 07 brings. Let's worry about what makes us the best football team to win the Superbowl in 06.

TJ has put the ball on the ground twice in two weeks, that's why I'm kinda of calling for Benson.

TJ has had about 5 good games and 5 ok/decnt games this season. Didn't do jack against Green Bay, Detroit, or Minnesota. Kicked it up against Seattle and Buffalo, did ok against Arizona, did good against San Fran, didn't do well against Miami, did well against NY and did well against the other NY.

He needs to do this game in and game out. If he doesn't give us anything on Sunday I want to see more Benson, period.

thats laughable. You blame him for bad games when for the first couple games this year, we were focused on the pass and the guy was coming back to the first squad from injury. Thats dumb imo, he held us up last year, and is getting his groove this year, and you wanna pull him out if he has a decent game or a fumble? (which by the way EVERYONE has one now and then)

Please stop worrying about the "future of the franchise" and look at the now. Has Benson looked good? At times. But Jones has looked good too. I say we continue the amount of carries of 20-25 Jones 5-15 Benson and play the season out. In the offseason we can worry about the rb position.

TJ cannot put the ball on the ground, period. Our team cannot afford to turn the ball over. And if TJ puts it on the ground again I'll call for Benson.

That and TJ has missed more than his share of pass blocking assignments this season, something that he's very good at doing (although Ced needs so work in that area as well).
And nobody will care, Jones will still start, and Benson will continue to go through his menstal cycle on the sidelines.

Windy
11-23-2006, 03:01 AM
OLAF KOLZIG AND THE SEX MAFIA

Hurricane Ditka
11-23-2006, 10:25 AM
The odds of Jones getting traded is probably at or around 15-20%. Some of you highly overestimate the value of our own players on the market. Why would a team give up a first day pick for a runningback nearing 30 that has one year left on his contract? It makes no sense.He's not getting a new contract on the Bears. Period. THe Bears can not afford to give him the money he'll want, and re-sign some vital players on our defense. Do you want Jones or Tommie Harris?

Smokey Joe
11-23-2006, 11:11 AM
The odds of Jones getting traded is probably at or around 15-20%. Some of you highly overestimate the value of our own players on the market. Why would a team give up a first day pick for a runningback nearing 30 that has one year left on his contract? It makes no sense.He's not getting a new contract on the Bears. Period. THe Bears can not afford to give him the money he'll want, and re-sign some vital players on our defense. Do you want Jones or Tommie Harris?
Appearently Jones because he is a bonifide Benson hater.

bearsfan_51
11-23-2006, 07:27 PM
:lol:

Seriously. Think about that for a second. How much money do you actually think Thomas Jones is going to get? If you say anything more than 3 million per year, you're wrong.

Furthermore, I didn't say he was going to get resigned. I said we won't get a first day pick for him when he's nearing the mendoza line for runningbacks and teams know they could just sign him one year later. I think we could get, at best a 4th rounder, and that is only if we dupe some really desperate team like the Niners did to the Jets this offseason.

bearsfan_51
11-23-2006, 07:29 PM
I don't hate Benson. I hope he turns out to be a really good player, but he's not a better runningback for our team to win games right now. Maybe when it starts to get more snowy and we need a pounder I could see the logic in giving him more carries. But as of now TJ gives us the better chance to win.

sweetness34
11-23-2006, 08:18 PM
Well Manning Jr is out for Sunday's game with a suspension and there's all this talk about how Lovie should have let him appeal this game so he could have him because it's a "statement game." :roll:

I'm on Lovie's side on this one. They don't condone that type of behavior, especially to a guy who was on probation before. That and this game is not as big as people are making it. I'm more worried about our conference games then the friggin non conference. Especially because it'll be our 3rd straight road game. I want Ricky for the playoffs; and who knows how long the appeal process could take. So get it over with now and we'll have him back next week. Plus you never know what could happen with injuries to our CB's.

Sure I want to win but I'm not as worried as a lot of people are about this game.

Hurricane Ditka
11-23-2006, 08:52 PM
Smokey Joe put something in prospective. John Abraham and Deion Branch were able to get first rounders, and neither of them is more talented than Briggs. Franchising Briggs makes the much more sense than letting him go for free.

Smokey Joe
11-23-2006, 08:57 PM
Smokey Joe put something in prospective. John Abraham and Deion Branch were able to get first rounders, and neither of them is more talented than Briggs. Franchising Briggs makes the much more sense than letting him go for free.
Not to forget that Briggs is most likely to be comming off of back-to-back pro bowl seasons.

Bearsfan123
11-23-2006, 09:06 PM
Not to forget that Briggs is most likely to be comming off of back-to-back pro bowl seasons.

Damn, i didnt even think of that. I understand Abraham cuz pass rushers are a premium in this league, but Branch definately is less talented (in his position) than Briggs is as a backer. Hmm...interesting.

Smokey Joe
11-23-2006, 09:45 PM
I don't hate Benson. I hope he turns out to be a really good player, but he's not a better runningback for our team to win games right now. Maybe when it starts to get more snowy and we need a pounder I could see the logic in giving him more carries. But as of now TJ gives us the better chance to win.
True, I am not argueing that. But in the offseason Thomas Jones will be looking for a contract extension, and could possibly even hold out. And he alone won't get a 3rd rounder, but paired with a 6th or 5th round pick could.

sweetness34
11-23-2006, 11:16 PM
Smokey I heard through the grapevine that you're cheating on me again....With HD! :evil:

We're done, that's it. And take your damn dog out of the house, he gives me nightmares. :lol:

So what do we do against Brady on Sunday? Blitz him or drop into coverage?

I think a lot of it depends on our front 4 rush. If we can generate a constant pass rush with our front 4 and drop 7 into coverage, that'd be the best possibility but I don't know if we'll be able to do that. Our DL hasn't been getting the constant pressure I want to see the past couple games.

Your thoughts?

Smokey Joe
11-24-2006, 12:36 AM
Smokey I heard through the grapevine that you're cheating on me again....With HD! :evil:

We're done, that's it. And take your damn dog out of the house, he gives me nightmares. :lol:

So what do we do against Brady on Sunday? Blitz him or drop into coverage?

I think a lot of it depends on our front 4 rush. If we can generate a constant pass rush with our front 4 and drop 7 into coverage, that'd be the best possibility but I don't know if we'll be able to do that. Our DL hasn't been getting the constant pressure I want to see the past couple games.

Your thoughts?
That is pretty much what we did all last year, and the beginning of this year. But then like you said, the front four hasn't been getting a lot of pressure lately. Lets hope Tommie and Wale step it up Sunday.

Bearsfan123
11-24-2006, 09:32 AM
Our front four HAS to step up if we wanna win this game. Pressure is a must. But hey, we are getting toasted by Baltimore in pages of posts! How can we let this happen!?

bearfan
11-24-2006, 09:38 AM
Our front four HAS to step up if we wanna win this game. Pressure is a must. But hey, we are getting toasted by Baltimore in pages of posts! How can we let this happen!?

Well at Rover we have been changing a lot, and a lot has been goin on, so I have been over there lately. so there goes this threads best poster right there :wink:

Smokey Joe
11-24-2006, 10:42 AM

Well at Rover we have been changing a lot, and a lot has been goin on, so I have been over there lately. so there goes this threads best poster right there :wink:
die.

Hurricane Ditka
11-24-2006, 03:50 PM

Well at Rover we have been changing a lot, and a lot has been goin on, so I have been over there lately. so there goes this threads best poster right there :wink:I wasn't aware that Sweetness, 51 or myself had been over there. Maybe that's what happened to Toonster.

Smokey Joe
11-24-2006, 04:08 PM

Well at Rover we have been changing a lot, and a lot has been goin on, so I have been over there lately. so there goes this threads best poster right there :wink:I wasn't aware that Smokey Joe had been over there. Maybe that's what happened to Toonster.

Hurricane Ditka
11-24-2006, 04:19 PM

Well at Rover we have been changing a lot, and a lot has been goin on, so I have been over there lately. so there goes this threads best poster right there :wink:I wasn't aware that Smokey Joe was such a homosexual over there. Maybe that's what happened to Toonster.

bearsfan_51
11-24-2006, 04:27 PM
Enough cat fighting ladies.

Another draft website has us taking Levi Brown at #32.

Griffin, Alexander, and Everett were all gone.

I like the pick, I like us picking at #32.

Hurricane Ditka
11-24-2006, 11:54 PM

I like the pick, I like us picking at #32.I like the pick and position. Not sure if Levi will be around at pick 32 though. Levi would be a great addition to the Bears. He can fill in spot duty for Miller and Tait if they get injured and than not too long down the line he can start. We can OLB in round 2 or 3 with a guy like Juwan Simpson or David Harris. Although I don't think they'll be there in round 2. My darkhorse (and personal favorite) first rounder is Tom Zbikowski. I think he'd be perfect at SS, and could platoon with Mike Brown until Zibi can take the reigns. I also like Doug Free in a later round.

bearsfan_51
11-25-2006, 12:42 AM

I like the pick, I like us picking at #32.I like the pick and position. Not sure if Levi will be around at pick 32 though. Levi would be a great addition to the Bears. He can fill in spot duty for Miller and Tait if they get injured and than not too long down the line he can start. We can OLB in round 2 or 3 with a guy like Juwan Simpson or David Harris. Although I don't think they'll be there in round 2. My darkhorse (and personal favorite) first rounder is Tom Zbikowski. I think he'd be perfect at SS, and could platoon with Mike Brown until Zibi can take the reigns. I also like Doug Free in a later round.
I personally love Zbikowski, but he wouldn't work as a first rounder. He can't cover for piss, and in the cover 2, the safety's primary responsibility is to cover a large area.

Smokey Joe
11-25-2006, 09:36 AM
Hehehehe, Scott answered my question!

Hey Scott, this is a two-part question. I am a huge Bears fan and I am wondering your thoughts are about the Lance Briggs situation in the offseason. Will the Bears sign him long term? Or if they can't, do you think they could franchise tag and trade him? And if they do trade him, what type of draft pick do you think he can fetch?

My second question is if Thomas Jones is traded in the offseason, which he probably will be, how do you think Benson would handle the workload? And who would be some good change-of-pace backs that would be available in the middle rounds?

Matt (Smokey Joe)

From everything I've heard it looks like Briggs will be moving on as a free agent this offseason, although that could change. The Bears supposedly just don't have the cap room to give him the type of contract he'd get on the open market and some have said the team feels he might be a little overrated. I doubt they will franchise and/or trade him though so I wouldn't expect to get any compensation for him should he leave.

As for Thomas Jones, I agree with you that he probably should and will be traded in the offseason, especially considering that he's struggling a but this year and they have Cedric Benson waiting in the wings. For those who have followed this site in the past you know how big of a fan of Benson's I was and I really think he's going to break out when he finally gets a chance to carry the load. In fact, his situation reminds me a lot of Larry Johnson's in that he was a talented player who had to wait his turn and also had some problems with the team and coaching staff off the field. I'm not saying that Benson will set the league on fire like Johnson has but in my opinion he has that type of potential considering the system he plays in. As for a change-of-pace back in the middle rounds to compliment him, how about Lorenzo Booker of Florida St. or Garrett Wolfe of Northern Illinois?

bearsfan_51
11-25-2006, 10:02 AM
Agree on Briggs. Not sure on Jones. I just have a hard time believing that if the coaching staff thinks that Benson is the guy that he wouldn't get more carries.

Plus I have an extremely hard time believing that we could get more than a 4th or 5th rounder.

As for Briggs, while I still hope we franchise him, I tend to believe that we won't either. Franchised linebackers make about 8 million per. Not to mention that Angelo has gone on record numerous times that he doesn't want to keep players here if they don't want to and that he doesn't like the franchise marker. I think that would appeal to players looking at us as a potential FA destination.

bearsfan_51
11-25-2006, 10:04 AM
Plus I would keep in mind that Scott is a draft junkie, but that he doesn't really know the in's and out's of specific NFL teams (except the Vikings). I wouldn't venture that most of us know more about the Bears situation than he does. Especially if he gives us another TE in the first round.

Hurricane Ditka
11-25-2006, 10:33 AM
I also wouldn't mind at all if we traded down a few spots again, but that probably won't happen. But since we don't have that many holes I absolutely wouldn't mind shelling out a third or fourth to move up a few spots to draft a guy like Rufus Alexander or Michael Griffin.

IBleedNavyandOrange
11-25-2006, 10:43 AM
I personally love Zbikowski, but he wouldn't work as a first rounder. He can't cover for piss, and in the cover 2, the safety's primary responsibility is to cover a large area.

Zbikowski strikes me just as a bigger, slightly faster version of Todd Johnson. I agree that his cover skills are lacking and that he doesn't play well in space. He takes poor angles to receivers (when he's switching-on or moving into flex-coverage) and doesn't have the speed to make up for those bad angles (for an example of someone who at times takes poor angles and can totally make up for those poor angles we need look no farther than our own Mr. Urlacher--though those poor angles are often him jumping a route he doesn't really have responsibility for, and making a ridiculously good play on).

I've got to admit some ignorance regarding the franchise tag. Why not franchise Briggs? Because even the franchise tag cost would be too high? Or because then he wouldn't be trade-able?

I think Briggs is a good player--not in the same circles as Urlacher or Harris or even (a healthy) Mike Brown--but would it be so bad to overpay him for a few years (the market will go up and he'll end up being a bargain similar to how Urlacher is presently) during the prime of his career? It's not like the Bears haven't overpaid players in the past (Qasim Mitchell, anyone?), and if there's cap room to franchise him, why not? It's not like the team is going to get a super-high 1st-round pick, and there aren't too many other contracts coming up very soon--and let's face it, the Bears will not be able to keep Vasher, Tillman, and Manning (Jr.) whether or not Briggs is re-signed.

What it comes back to for me is thinking back to the Colvin-Urlacher-Holdman days, when the Bears had one of the top-two linebacker squads in the NFL. Immediately after that fell apart, so did the defense and the team for a couple years until the LB corps could be re-built. I think they're a Hillenmeyer replacement away from being one of the best squads in recent memory, and losing Briggs is not going to help, especially when we're looking at trying to repeat as NFL (or at least NFC) champions next year.

Smokey Joe
11-25-2006, 01:26 PM
I was thinking about something, the Bears only have one starting O-lineman who was drafted by the Bears, and he wasn't even drafted by Angelo, and that's Kreutz. Metcalf was drafted by Angelo (right?) and he will most likely be taking over for Brown next year. But Garza, Tait, Brown, and Miller were all brought to chicago through free agency. Maybe drafting O-Line early isn't much of a need then we thought. Heck, after Miller most likely leaves after 07-08, I wouldn't be surprised if the Bears just decide to sign the best available RT in free agency. Thoughts?

Bearsfan123
11-25-2006, 04:06 PM
I was thinking about something, the Bears only have one starting O-lineman who was drafted by the Bears, and he wasn't even drafted by Angelo, and that's Kreutz. Metcalf was drafted by Angelo (right?) and he will most likely be taking over for Brown next year. But Garza, Tait, Brown, and Miller were all brought to chicago through free agency. Maybe drafting O-Line early isn't much of a need then we thought. Heck, after Miller most likely leaves after 07-08, I wouldn't be surprised if the Bears just decide to sign the best available RT in free agency. Thoughts?

thats what i was thinking. I think Angelo doesnt wanna draft any more 1st rd o-lineman because he can just build through FA. Plus they can bust while you pretty much know what you're getting from a vet.

Smokey Joe
11-25-2006, 04:35 PM

thats what i was thinking. I think Angelo doesnt wanna draft any more 1st rd o-lineman because he can just build through FA. Plus they can bust while you pretty much know what you're getting from a vet.
Yeah, O-Line isn't a place you like to mess around with. You want players that you know will keep your QB healthy and help your RB rack up a ton of yards.

Smokey Joe
11-25-2006, 07:34 PM
Hell, why don't the Bears just dump Miller and sign Leonard Davis :!: :twisted:

bearsfan_51
11-25-2006, 08:38 PM
Hell, why don't the Bears just dump Miller and sign Leonard Davis :!: :twisted:
Cause this isn't Madden.

And I've been saying that about picking up lineman through FA for over a year now. The problem is continually finding good veterans like Rueben Brown, Tait, and Miller in FA. We've been pretty saavy in that regard.

bearsfan_51
11-25-2006, 08:43 PM
I've got to admit some ignorance regarding the franchise tag. Why not franchise Briggs? Because even the franchise tag cost would be too high? Or because then he wouldn't be trade-able?
A little of both. If you figure that Jerry offered Briggs a 5 year contract worth 30 million (or something like that). Keeping him for a year at the cost of 8-9 million dollars might seem a little high.

I think another is just franchise policy. Players hate to be franchised, and I think Angelo feels that he would rather let players leave and test the market rather than keep them here against their will. Most players in the league have a positive opinion of the way the Bears do business and that, along with the fact that we reward our own, is part of the reason why.

I'm still not sold on the thought that Angelo won't franchise him, I just don't think it will be to trade him. While Abraham and Branch both got late 1st picks, linebacker usually isn't a position that has great value, but you never know so if we could get a first day pick for him, all the better. I do think, however, that it would be foolish for Angelo to come out and say at this point what they plan on doing, which is why they aren't.

Windy
11-25-2006, 08:43 PM
Why is everyone so low on Jones. I know most want to see Benson play a lot more but If it aint broke dont fix it. I dont understand why so many people are saying Jones is having a terrible year

bearsfan_51
11-25-2006, 08:44 PM
Oh and what's wrong with Hillenmeyer? He's having a tremendous season. He's exactely what you need from the SLB position. He's disciplined, smart, and a good tackler. Not every player has to have off the chart intangibles.

bearsfan_51
Why is everyone so low on Jones. I know most want to see Benson play a lot more but If it aint broke dont fix it. I dont understand why so many people are saying Jones is having a terrible year
He shoots he scores.

Smokey Joe
Who's saying that?

Smokey Joe
11-25-2006, 08:46 PM
Oh and what's wrong with Hillenmeyer? He's having a tremendous season. He's exactely what you need from the SLB position. He's disciplined, smart, and a good tackler. Not every player has to have off the chart intangibles.
I love Hilly. He is my favorite linebacker not named Brian Urlacher. He is one of the most underrated LB's in the NFL. And what makes it all better is that the Packers lost out on him.

Bears_Fan
11-25-2006, 08:48 PM
New to the site. Thought I would add my two-cents...

I think we should go OLB regardless of what happens with Briggs*. I am always in favor of trading down; however, there should be some pretty good OLBs late in Rd 1, and it looks like some pretty good OL players will be available in Rd 2.

If we don't draft OL (Smokey Joe), where should we go? Scott thinks TE in RD 1, which might be right in Rd 2, but maybe we should go SS.

*LB depth leaves something to be desired, IMO.

bearsfan_51
11-25-2006, 08:49 PM

I think we should go OLB regardless of what happens with Briggs. I am always in favor of trading down; however, there should be some pretty good OLBs late in Rd 1, and it looks like some pretty good OL players will be available in Rd 2.

If we don't draft OL (Smokey Joe), where should we go? Scott thinks TE in RD 1, which might be right in Rd 2, but maybe we should go SS.
Welcome. Just what we needed, another user with "bears fan" in their name. :lol:

Smokey Joe
11-25-2006, 08:51 PM

I think we should go OLB regardless of what happens with Briggs. I am always in favor of trading down; however, there should be some pretty good OLBs late in Rd 1, and it looks like some pretty good OL players will be available in Rd 2.

I think we could find a good backup tackle in the 3rd or 4th round. I also don't think TE is a first day need either. Dez Clark is having a great season, and it would be okay to take a project TE in the second day.

Bears_Fan
11-25-2006, 08:57 PM
Just what we needed, another user with "bears fan" in their name. :lol:

Thanks.

I didn't think it was available, but it should help hide my rookie mistakes.

Hurricane Ditka
11-25-2006, 11:14 PM
Oh and what's wrong with Hillenmeyer? He's having a tremendous season. He's exactely what you need from the SLB position. He's disciplined, smart, and a good tackler. Not every player has to have off the chart intangibles.There is absolutely nothing wrong with Double H. Especially since he inked a big 5 year? deal last year. WLB would need to bed upgraded if Briggs leaves, Rufus, Everette, Maybe Blades or Davis. I think with our organizations tendency to pick guys from Oklahoma Rufus makes the most sense if available. I don't agree with building the offensive line through free agency year after year, because year after year you'll be signing new guys as your current players get older. If we can get 2 quality O linemen this year we're in good shape. I don't see us going TE, we ignored it last and Clark has proven himself. SS is a need, since we can't put all of our eggs in the Mike Brown basket. I can see adding another WR early like Boye or Baker so we've got some more size at the position.

Bears_Fan
11-25-2006, 11:20 PM
I am going to the game tomorrow, and I can't wait - my first Bears game, eventhough I have been a fan since '84. However, the local media keeps going on and on about how the Patriots should win this game - I don't see it.

I agree that it will be a tough game, but the local tv show (which I normally don't bother watching) was talking about how the Bears are overconfident and playing a weak schedule. What I find confounding is that the Patriots are playing a lot of the same teams. They are in the AFC East, which has been questionable at best, and they are playing the NFC North teams. Do you guys agree that the local media just has the blinders on?

Hurricane Ditka
11-25-2006, 11:24 PM
Truth be told this game is more about the Fans' confidence and the media's respect than it is about anything else. We don't need to win this game, but that doesn't mean most of us don't want to.

bearsfan_51
11-25-2006, 11:27 PM
I am going to the game tomorrow, and I can't wait - my first Bears game, eventhough I have been a fan since '84. However, the local media keeps going on and on about how the Patriots should win this game - I don't see it.

I agree that it will be a tough game, but the local tv show (which I normally don't bother watching) was talking about how the Bears are overconfident and playing a weak schedule. What I find confounding is that the Patriots are playing a lot of the same teams. They are in the AFC East, which has been questionable at best, and they are playing the NFC North teams. Do you guys agree that the local media just has the blinders on?
The media likes to pretend that the Pats of now are the same as the Pats of 2 or 3 years ago. Put them in the AFC West and they don't even make the playoffs.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, tommorow means nothing. It'll be real nice to win, but if we don't, the focus should be and is on winning our in-conference games, getting HFA, resting some guys, and gearing towards the playoffs.

bearsfan_51
11-25-2006, 11:30 PM
By the way, wanna guess how many wins the Patriots have against winning teams?

If you guessed zero, you are correct.

The only impressive win they've had all year has been against Cincy about a month ago.

That's why this game means a lot to them, they haven't beaten anyone yet.

Bears_Fan
11-25-2006, 11:38 PM
The only impressive win they've had all year has been against Cincy about a month ago.
That's why this game means a lot to them, they haven't beaten anyone yet.

That is a great point. I am going to enjoy the game either way, but I would love to walk into work without having to make any point like that to my boss.

Bears_Fan
11-25-2006, 11:59 PM
[quote="Hurricane Ditka"]I can see adding another WR early like Boye or Baker so we've got some more size at the position.

Do we need to add another player like this? I think the team turned towards a quicker approach for the offense. Although, Paul Williams is big and fast.

sweetness34
11-26-2006, 09:50 AM

The media likes to pretend that the Pats of now are the same as the Pats of 2 or 3 years ago. Put them in the AFC West and they don't even make the playoffs.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, tommorow means nothing. It'll be real nice to win, but if we don't, the focus should be and is on winning our in-conference games, getting HFA, resting some guys, and gearing towards the playoffs.

Exactly, and it's about time other people see that. Sure I want to win, but I'm not going to be pissed off if we lose (well if we play bad and lose I will be a little). I'm more concerned with the NFC games we'll be playing coming up and HFA. We'll still hold a 2 game advantage on Dallas (and whichever 6-4 team wins today), and possibly a 3-4 game lead if we win.

Everyone says this is a "statement game." ********. The Seahawks and Giants games were statement games because they were vital for the #1 spot in the NFC. We've proven we can beat the best of the best in the NFC this season. We don't need to prove anything. This is our 3rd straight road game out east, and I wouldn't be surprised to see our guys a little worn out from traveling every damn game for 3 straight weeks. But if we lose, you know the media is going to have a huge headling, "ARE THE BEARS SLIPPING?":roll: :lol:

And for those now saying Dallas is the team to beat with Romo. Hah. We'll see about that. I'm waiting to see him face the Giants at the Meadowlands. :D

Bearsfan123
11-26-2006, 10:05 AM
Oh and what's wrong with Hillenmeyer? He's having a tremendous season. He's exactely what you need from the SLB position. He's disciplined, smart, and a good tackler. Not every player has to have off the chart intangibles.There is absolutely nothing wrong with Double H. Especially since he inked a big 5 year? deal last year. WLB would need to bed upgraded if Briggs leaves, Rufus, Everette, Maybe Blades or Davis. I think with our organizations tendency to pick guys from Oklahoma Rufus makes the most sense if available. I don't agree with building the offensive line through free agency year after year, because year after year you'll be signing new guys as your current players get older. If we can get 2 quality O linemen this year we're in good shape. I don't see us going TE, we ignored it last and Clark has proven himself. SS is a need, since we can't put all of our eggs in the Mike Brown basket. I can see adding another WR early like Boye or Baker so we've got some more size at the position.

I like Rufus, but I think TE is a want. I think if we can get Miller and Rufus is gone why not? Dez Clark has been around awhile and its not like we dont use our backup TEs. For WR I think we should try to grab Samardiza in the early second. I think he will fall due to baseball. So I think we pull a Patriots and trade up and grab him in the early second. I would like to see the Bears get Mike Otto or another good tackle in the third or fourth. (No ryan harris I watched him yesterday and he looked terrible)

Hurricane Ditka
11-26-2006, 10:45 AM
Personally I'm not a fan of Ryan Harris. I'd like Doug Free, Levi Brown, Sam Baker, Joe Staley or Jake Long, but there's a good chance most of them won't be there when we pick. If Angelo neglected to upgrade TE last year, I don't see why he would choose to this year.

sweetness34
11-26-2006, 11:39 AM
TE is more of a want than a need. OT is a definite need, as is SS, and OLB IMO. Clark has a couple more good years left so I think we can hold off on the TE right now.

bearsfan_51
11-26-2006, 11:54 AM
I don't think OT is a "need" per se. Tait has 4-5 years left in him and Miller has 2-3 I think, barring injury. Offensive Tackles can play well into their mid-30's if they take care of themselves.

bearsfan_51
11-26-2006, 11:56 AM
Personally I'm not a fan of Ryan Harris. I'd like Doug Free, Levi Brown, Sam Baker, Joe Staley or Jake Long, but there's a good chance most of them won't be there when we pick. If Angelo neglected to upgrade TE last year, I don't see why he would choose to this year.
Well I think he wanted to, he was just wise enough to not reach. He made it clear that the secondary was the biggest need, and he upgraded that with Manning and Manning Jr. Once he traded down, Marcedes Lewis (the best TE not named Vernon Davis) was gone.

Angelo was smart enough to realize, just like another wise man on this board *ahem*, that Leonard Pope was highly overated, particularly by a certain draft expert. They said they wanted to take Owen Daniels in the 4th round by the Texans got to him first. I really liked Daniels and he's having a real nice rookie season.

I think the bigger suprise to me was that we picked up both Tim Day and Cooper Wallace and neither are even on the practice squad anymore.

bearsfan_51
11-26-2006, 11:58 AM
Do you realize how little drafting Jeff S makes sense in the second round? Unless he's a first round pick he would be an idiot to not play baseball where he's promised a multi-million dollar signing bonus. It would be a completely wasted pick.

bearsfan_51
11-26-2006, 11:59 AM

Exactly, and it's about time other people see that. Sure I want to win, but I'm not going to be pissed off if we lose (well if we play bad and lose I will be a little). I'm more concerned with the NFC games we'll be playing coming up and HFA. We'll still hold a 2 game advantage on Dallas (and whichever 6-4 team wins today), and possibly a 3-4 game lead if we win.
I could have swore you were the one disagreeing with me.

sweetness34
11-26-2006, 12:04 PM

I could have swore you were the one disagreeing with me.

Um nope. Go back and check my posts. :D

Edit: Go to page 11 and look in the middle of the page at one of my longer posts. I was agreeing with you and have been.

Hurricane Ditka
11-26-2006, 01:46 PM
I'd rather have Dallas Baker or Dwayne Boye than Smarzidja, but those are wants not needs. I don't think Miller has as much left in the tank as you do. He's been a little inconsistent during his tenure in Chicago, and I don't want to see John St Clair starting multiple games in a row. I don't see us drafting TE early unless somebody falls. I'd like to see us trade up for once. This team has very few holes, and I'd like to see the front office take the initative to get one of those "special" players. I'd trade up for Griffin or Alexander if we didn't have to give up and arm and a leg. Really I think Briggs should be franchised and traded, franchised players don't count against the cap, and I don't think we should let him go for free. I think if Angelo can whip up the right deal we could jump into the middle of the first round by giving up Briggs and say our second rounder or so. Giving us the oppurtunity to draft say Sam Baker and Alexander or Everrete (Both of whom are from programs that we tend to draft from). But that's just a pipe dream at this point.

Donno
11-26-2006, 03:29 PM
That pick by Tillman in the first quarter made my day, that was sick.

sweetness34
11-26-2006, 04:03 PM
Us beating ourselves again is what's making me sick. Ugh. :lol:

Hurricane Ditka
11-26-2006, 04:50 PM
Cedric Benson is having a good day, if we can start out the second half, running it down their throats and setting up the Play Action we'll be in good shape.

sweetness34
11-26-2006, 04:53 PM
Cedric Benson is having a good day, if we can start out the second half, running it down their throats and setting up the Play Action we'll be in good shape.

Cedric should've been in there more. I'm sorry but TJ had one decent run and was swallowed up after that. Benson was trucking guys over on the Pats.

And yea, run the darn ball more. Also, get a pass rush on Brady. He can camp out back there for about 10 seconds picking his way through the secondary.

Overall, good first half. Shoulda, woulda, coulda had more points but it's a whole new ball game now, and lets pull it out.

Bearsfan123
11-26-2006, 04:54 PM

Cedric should've been in there more. I'm sorry but TJ had one decent run and was swallowed up after that. Benson was trucking guys over on the Pats.

And yea, run the darn ball more. Also, get a pass rush on Brady. He can camp out back there for about 10 seconds picking his way through the secondary.

Overall, good first half. Shoulda, woulda, coulda had more points but it's a whole new ball game now, and lets pull it out.

agreed, and for once I think Benson should be getting carries.

Hurricane Ditka
11-26-2006, 04:58 PM
I think Benson should start out the second half. This isn't about politics now, it's about who gives us a better chance to win, and right now Benson gives us a better chance to win than Jones does. They have the same number of carries but Benson has 24 more yards. Keep running the ball until they prove they can stop it on a consistent basis. Also Bradley needs to get involved he needs to get a TD.

Bearsfan123
11-26-2006, 06:24 PM
Rex just ended the game for us...

bearfan
11-26-2006, 06:24 PM
GROSSMAN :evil:
Ron Turner lost this game for us, that and Grossmans bad play.

diabsoule
11-26-2006, 06:26 PM
I can't believe ya'll lost that game. I've really been questioning Grossman as a QB for a Super Bowl contender like you guys are.

Bearsfan123
Ron Turner had nothing to do with that, that ones squarely on Grossman. He fd up, all there is too it. Now we are all gonna have to deal with everyone saying the NFC's best isnt even able to beat the most mediocre of AFC's playoff teams....

Hurricane Ditka
That was Davis's fault, he didn't even try to make a play on the ball.

Smokey Joe
How did Turner blow this game? Was it he who botched a snap at their 5 yard line? Was it he who threw 3 or 4 balls directly at patriot defenders?

Smokey Joe
11-26-2006, 06:27 PM
That was Davis's fault, he didn't even try to make a play on the ball.
Are you kidding me? It was well over his head. Not even Shaq could get a hand on that.

Smokey Joe
11-26-2006, 06:28 PM
I am pretty sure Grossman now has the worst 4th quarter passer rating in the whole NFL. Scarey.

bearfan
11-26-2006, 06:30 PM
How did Turner blow this game? Was it he who botched a snap at their 5 yard line? Was it he who threw 3 or 4 balls directly at patriot defenders?

Play calling down the stretch, he took some good shots, but some bad ones too. I think that that INT at the end was an unecessary pass that he tried for. IDK why he had to try to go for the home run on 1st w/ almost 2 minutes left in the game

Bearsfan123
11-26-2006, 06:31 PM
Lets face it Bears fans, Grossman has regressed. At the beginning of the year he took 4 leaps forward now hes taken 4 leaps back.

Smokey Joe
Grossman's comments (most likely): "I thought we played well. I felt good. I think I did really good. I was hitting all my targets in the chest. I felt really good, and the defense played great, but we couldn't execute."

Lovie's comments (most likely): "Rex is our QB. End of discussion."

GSOT
You guys would be leathal with a good QB.

Smokey Joe
11-26-2006, 06:32 PM

Play calling down the stretch, he took some good shots, but some bad ones too. I think that that INT at the end was an unecessary pass that he tried for. IDK why he had to try to go for the home run on 1st w/ almost 2 minutes left in the game
You do know that Davis isn't only Grossman's target, right? I bet Grossman threw it to Davis, because we all know how Grossman always tries to make something out of nothing.

Smokey Joe
11-26-2006, 06:33 PM
You guys would be leathal with a good QB.
No kidding :oops:

bearfan
11-26-2006, 06:36 PM

You do know that Davis isn't only Grossman's target, right? I bet Grossman threw it to Davis, because we all know how Grossman always tries to make something out of nothing.

I do know that, but I still think it was a terrible play/play call. I wouldnt doubt if turner called a shot downfield, its not like he hasnt done it before.

Smokey Joe
11-26-2006, 06:37 PM

I do know that, but I still think it was a terrible play/play call. I wouldnt doubt if turner called a shot downfield, its not like he hasnt done it before.
Grossman had 3 or 4 targets. He didn't even look at anyone else. He went directly for the man on the fly route, and that was Davis. He overthrew Davis completely, and turned the ball over. And Grossman has shown a tendecy, especially under pressure, to air the ball out.

sweetness34
11-26-2006, 06:39 PM
I can't believe ya'll lost that game. I've really been questioning Grossman as a QB for a Super Bowl contender like you guys are.

It was on a lot more then Grossman. Our pass blocking was pathetic today and bad play calling attributed to the loss. Plus the fact that our DL was non-existent.

I don't know if it's just growing pains with him or if he's never going to learn. Every week I'm on the other side of the fence with the kid.

Hurricane Ditka
11-26-2006, 06:39 PM
Davis stayed on the ground and watched as the corner jumped up and went for the ball. He needed to make a play for the ball and he just watched as the game went down the tubes.

Hurricane Ditka
11-26-2006, 06:40 PM
The Pats offense also racked up yards and points against our defense. The defense couldn't stop them on 3rd down to save their lives.

bearsfan_51
11-26-2006, 06:40 PM
I think Benson should start out the second half. This isn't about politics now, it's about who gives us a better chance to win, and right now Benson gives us a better chance to win than Jones does. They have the same number of carries but Benson has 24 more yards. Keep running the ball until they prove they can stop it on a consistent basis. Also Bradley needs to get involved he needs to get a TD.
That was almost a good point untill T.Jones went out and absolutely ripped their D apart.

By the way, I'm not a big fan of going deep so much either, but you guys are aware that is the only way that we can get them from stacking the box and blitzing us on every play right? It's not the playcalling so much as it is Rex's wreckless regard with the football. Our three biggest plays all came from the deep bomb to Berrian.

GSOT
11-26-2006, 06:41 PM
As a Rams fan :oops: ....i watched todays game with eager eyes on Briggs, and man he can flat out play, i REALLY hope we go after him...what do you guys think of him?

bearsfan_51
11-26-2006, 06:42 PM

It was on a lot more then Grossman. Our pass blocking was pathetic today and bad play calling attributed to the loss. Plus the fact that our DL was non-existent.

I don't know if it's just growing pains with him or if he's never going to learn. Every week I'm on the other side of the fence with the kid.
Our pass blocking was pathetic? Are you ******* kidding me? Every week you ***** about the pass blocking, it was fine this week. If they are blitzing every single play he's bound to get hit. Did he even get sacked once? The pass blocking was fine.

bearsfan_51
11-26-2006, 06:43 PM
As a Rams fan :oops: ....i watched todays game with eager eyes on Briggs, and man he can flat out play, i REALLY hope we go after him...what do you guys think of him?
I think he sucks. Is this a trick question?

GSOT
11-26-2006, 06:46 PM
No, i was just asking, as living in England, i dont ever get to see him play, just wanted an opinion from people who have seen him play and not just read about him, thats all.

sweetness34
11-26-2006, 06:48 PM

Our pass blocking was pathetic? Are you *********** kidding me? Every week you *********** about the pass blocking, it was fine this week. If they are blitzing every single play he's bound to get hit. Did he even get sacked once? The pass blocking was fine.

Rex was sacked twice actually, or at least once. I'm not making excuses for Rex at all, it was on him but did you see the amount of hurries, hits, and sacks he had? If they blitz our offense needs to adjust with quick patterns and that didn't happen. It's mostly on Rex, but it's also on the OL and the coaching as well.

For once I'm actually bashing Rex and you come after me. And on the flip side you're kind of protecting him. I never said it wasn't on Rex, I said at times the pass blocking was very shotty.

sweetness34
11-26-2006, 06:49 PM
The Pats offense also racked up yards and points against our defense. The defense couldn't stop them on 3rd down to save their lives.

5 turnovers is what I have to say to that. Our D was fine.

bearsfan_51
11-26-2006, 06:49 PM
No, i was just asking, as living in England, i dont ever get to see him play, just wanted an opinion from people who have seen him play and not just read about him, thats all.
He's going to get massively overpaid, but such is the nature of free agency.

Didn't mean to sound snippy.

Hurricane Ditka
11-26-2006, 06:51 PM
Let's be honest 2-1 on that 3 game stretch isn't too bad. We'll be fine, we've got some winnable games at home and on the road coming up. We can win the division next week (assuming GB loses). We need to use next week games as a confidence builder back for Rex. We know what Rex is capable of. I'm not ready to bury him just yet. The team has to play better as whole.

Smokey Joe
I am calling for Mark Anderson to start, or at least get more playing time. No one on the line is getting pressure. Tommie Harris is getting nothing but doubled teamed on every play, and still, no could even sniff Brady, except Mark Anderson.

sweetness34
Wow Howie and the rest of the Fox gang still bitching about the PI calls against New England. :lol:

Guess they had the blinders on in the first half.

Hurricane Ditka

5 turnovers is what I have to say to that. Our D was fine.300 yards, 2 touchdowns, spotty tackling, terrible on third down.

GSOT
He's going to get massively overpaid, but such is the nature of free agency.

Didn't mean to sound snippy.
Thats ok, your team just lost, i totally understand, we just won for the first time in 6 weeks.... :lol: ....anyways, thanks for your opinion, they always do seem to get serious money. And alot of teams have alot of money so i am sure he will get paid big time.

bearsfan_51
11-26-2006, 06:52 PM

Our pass blocking was pathetic? Are you *********** kidding me? Every week you *********** about the pass blocking, it was fine this week. If they are blitzing every single play he's bound to get hit. Did he even get sacked once? The pass blocking was fine.

Rex was sacked twice actually, or at least once. I'm not making excuses for Rex at all, it was on him but did you see the amount of hurries, hits, and sacks he had? If they blitz our offense needs to adjust with quick patterns and that didn't happen. It's mostly on Rex, but it's also on the OL and the coaching as well.

For once I'm actually bashing Rex and you come after me. And on the flip side you're kind of protecting him. I never said it wasn't on Rex, I said at times the pass blocking was very shotty.
We can't switch this year. Our horse is hitched to Grossman and we'll win or lose with him. I'm not happy about it at all, but that's the way it is.

This game is still MUCH better than the outings he put up against Arizona and Miami.

I don't think Grossman is absolutely terrible, he just isn't very good. You're usually hot or cold with everyone. I came after you before because you highly overated Grossman in general, which is being played out now.

bearsfan_51
11-26-2006, 06:54 PM
I am calling for Mark Anderson to start, or at least get more playing time. No one on the line is getting pressure. Tommie Harris is getting nothing but doubled teamed on every play, and still, no could even sniff Brady, except Mark Anderson.
I actually agree with this.

The Pats were holding Wale like a mo'fucka all game though. I couldn't tell if we were equally holding because with the 3-4 it's hard to tell who's coming from where.

The problem with Anderson starting though, is that he's not the best against the run. He's still better on 3rd down and what not.

sweetness34
11-26-2006, 06:55 PM
[quote=diabsoule]I can't believe ya'll lost that game. I've really been questioning Grossman as a QB for a Super Bowl contender like you guys are.

We can't switch this year. Our horse is hitched to Grossman and we'll win or lose with him. I'm not happy about it at all, but that's the way it is.

This game is still MUCH better than the outings he put up against Arizona and Miami.

I don't think Grossman is absolutely terrible, he just isn't very good. You're usually hot or cold with everyone. I came after you before because you highly overated Grossman in general, which is being played out now.[/quote

And I supported Rex through his thick and thin crap. I got bashed for supporting him in the Arizona game and now that I retract my statements, it's like "you're a flip flopper." Rex is still my favorite QB but something has to be done to teach him that he just can't do what he's doing. If he passes for about 200 a game with 0 TO's we're most likely going to win games.

So now if TJ starts struggeling you can't come in here and start calling for Benson 51. :lol:

bearsfan_51
11-26-2006, 06:58 PM
Thomas Jones is playing lights out right now.

I will say that Benson had the best game of his pro career though. That's not saying a whole hell of a lot but still. He ran with more power than Jones. It's just that Jones is still better at doing basically everything else.

Hurricane Ditka
11-26-2006, 06:59 PM

I will say that Benson had the best game of his pro career though. That's not saying a whole hell of a lot but still. He ran with more power than Jones. It's just that Jones is still better at doing basically everything else.If they had given Benson the carries in the second half he would have done just as well.

Smokey Joe
11-26-2006, 06:59 PM
Hey, it could be worse, we could be the Giants :wink:

sweetness34
11-26-2006, 07:05 PM
Something I realized about Rex. He throws to a spot when he passes, and expects the reciever to be there. And I guess Davis was in the wrong spot on the pass or something.

Not giving Rexy a break but why the hell is Davis running that route instead of Moose, Berrian, Bradley, or hell even Gage. Bad play design (player wise) IMO.

It just goes to show though how good we can be. We don't play our best game and yet we've still got a chance to win it at the end, on the road, and against a good team.

But again, they have 5 TO's today and win.

I don't know. I know this game wasn't a "must win game" but it still hurts to lose it because we were right there. And hopefully this shuts a lot of people up who said we can't play with good AFC teams, because we were neck and neck with them for 4 quarters.

Oh well, it's still good to be 9-2 this season. 8)

sweetness34
11-26-2006, 07:08 PM
Guys look at the bright side here. We lost to a darn good team; and we maybe coulda, shoulda, woulda won the game if things went different. But we were in it to the very end and that's what I wanted to happen.

2 out of 3 ain't bad. And I'd rather lose to the Pats then the friggin Jets.

Smokey Joe
11-26-2006, 07:10 PM
Guys look at the bright side here. We lost to a darn good team; and we maybe coulda, shoulda, woulda won the game if things went different. But we were in it to the very end and that's what I wanted to happen.

It would be a lot easier to handle if the Pats were the better team today. But they weren't. Grossman gave the game away.

sweetness34
11-26-2006, 07:13 PM

It would be a lot easier to handle if the Pats were the better team today. But they weren't. Grossman gave the game away.

Actually they were the better team. You have to give credit here the credit is due. They made the plays to win the game. Sure I'm a little upset but life goes on and we're at home against he Vikes next week with the ability to lock up the North with a win I believe.

bearsfan_51
11-26-2006, 07:20 PM

I will say that Benson had the best game of his pro career though. That's not saying a whole hell of a lot but still. He ran with more power than Jones. It's just that Jones is still better at doing basically everything else.If they had given Benson the carries in the second half he would have done just as well.
Clearly, since you can see the future and 7 carriers is a good barometer of future success.

bearsfan_51
11-26-2006, 07:21 PM
This game really came down to two field goals, the one that Robbie Gould made before the false start, and the one that their kicker missed right after Lovie called a timeout.

Close game, **** happens, no big deal.

Bearsfan123
11-26-2006, 07:22 PM
Right, Bears can still get homefield advantage in the NFC...

then we ll bitchslap our opponents in the playoffs. :evil:

sweetness34
11-26-2006, 07:23 PM

Clearly, since you can see the future and 7 carriers is a good barometer of future success.

I do think that Benson should have gotten carries when he entered the game on the 2nd drive of the 2nd half (we basically brought him in and didn't run the ball). But good job by TJ tonight.

bearfan
11-26-2006, 07:27 PM
If Grossman keeps playing inconsistant like he does, do you guys think that JA will give him that contract extension?

AND, if he does continue to play bad, maybe even regress, does anyone have a problem w/ drafting a QB in the 1st day?

Bearsfan123
11-26-2006, 07:30 PM
If Grossman keeps playing inconsistant like he does, do you guys think that JA will give him that contract extension?

AND, if he does continue to play bad, maybe even regress, does anyone have a problem w/ drafting a QB in the 1st day?

i dunno anymore.... Early on, it looked like Grossman had finally matured, and quarterback was a need of the past. Now....well ill reserve judgement until the end of the season.

Smokey Joe
11-26-2006, 07:33 PM

Matt Schuab :twisted:

Hurricane Ditka
11-26-2006, 08:33 PM
We benched Kyle Orton because he wasn't producing why shouldn't we do the same for Grossman.

bearsfan_51
11-26-2006, 08:38 PM
We benched Kyle Orton because he wasn't producing why shouldn't we do the same for Grossman.
Do you remember last season? If Orton threw for over 150 yards it was considered a miracle. Grossman, despite his flaws, is night and day compared to Orton.

Grossman can still be a good QB in the NFL. Orton will be lucky to sit on a bench and collect a paycheck for the next 5-6 years.

Hurricane Ditka
11-26-2006, 08:42 PM
Do you remember last season? If Orton threw for over 150 yards it was considered a miracle. Grossman, despite his flaws, is night and day compared to Orton.

Grossman can still be a good QB in the NFL. Orton will be lucky to sit on a bench and collect a paycheck for the next 5-6 years.We won 9 games with Orton. Just like we've won 9 games with Grossman. Greise deserves to be put in as much as Grossman did last year. We need to get Rex back on track, I'll give him next week, but after that I'll be full-force for the switch.

bearsfan_51
11-26-2006, 08:48 PM

Grossman can still be a good QB in the NFL. Orton will be lucky to sit on a bench and collect a paycheck for the next 5-6 years.We won 9 games with Orton. Just like we've won 9 games with Grossman. Greise deserves to be put in as much as Grossman did last year. We need to get Rex back on track, I'll give him next week, but after that I'll be full-force for the switch.
Of course you will.

To compare Grossman to Orton is just absurd. Orton didn't win ****. The defense was also much better last year, and we lost 4 games (would have been 5 had Grossman not bailed us out against Atlanta) with Orton as well. Orton is absolute garbage. I don't even want to get into this ridiculous debate again.

Hurricane Ditka
11-26-2006, 08:52 PM

Of course you will.

To compare Grossman to Orton is just absurd. Orton didn't win ***********. The defense was also much better last year, and we lost 4 games (would have been 5 had Grossman not bailed us out against Atlanta) with Orton as well. Orton is absolute garbage. I don't even want to get into this ridiculous debate again.Orton was actually ahead 6-3 in the Atl game last year when he was pulled. I think we need to re-establish the pass, we need need to rebuild Grossman's confidence. He has been on a tailspin since the Cardinals game. We all want the Bears to win the Super Bowl, do we have a better chance with Greise or with Grossman.

bearsfan_51
11-26-2006, 09:30 PM
At this point I would actually lean towards Grossman. He has a deep ball potential that Griese doesn't have.

Griese is more efficient in the short game, but if you think he'd turn the ball over less you're probably wrong. His career Int/Attempt % is close to Grossman's, and in his last season with the Bucs it was the same as Grossman's this season. If Grossman completely tanks another game or two I would say go for it, but I don't think this game was terrible for Grossman all things considered.

Hurricane Ditka
11-26-2006, 09:41 PM
I was actually alright with Grossman's performance until the interception at the end. Although if Grossman continues to tank, and Griese is put in, what becomes of Grossman? Does he join the other Chicago Qb's that have never amounted to anything? Do we still give him a contract extension? Do we look for his replacement in the draft? Do we trade for Schaub? What happens once we bench him? That might be a good enough reason not to bench him.

bearsfan_51
11-26-2006, 09:44 PM
I was actually alright with Grossman's performance until the interception at the end. Although if Grossman continues to tank, and Griese is put in, what becomes of Grossman? Does he join the other Chicago Qb's that have never amounted to anything? Do we still give him a contract extension? Do we look for his replacement in the draft? Do we trade for Schaub? What happens once we bench him? That might be a good enough reason not to bench him.
Yeah that's part of it too. I love Griese as a #2 option, but as your franchise QB, especially at 31, he leaves a lot to be desired. If Grossman isn't the guy, we'll have to find someone else, and at this point I'd rather stick with the guy we have and see if additional experience will help him out.

Hurricane Ditka
11-26-2006, 09:57 PM
Against the Vikings we need to give Rex time to right the ship. Don't whip out the Kyle Orton play book, let him go out there and play. Go back to the things he was doing well, down field to Berrian, Clark in the middle. As the season progresses Rex seems to be throwing to Clark less and less, we need to get Clark involved early, and pound the rock with Jones and Benson (who until halftime was running with authority, so when I made it my point was valid).

bearsfan_51
11-26-2006, 10:04 PM
I disagree on this game. Remember the last game? The only reason why it was even close was because Grossman was pick-sixed.

The Vikings have hands down the best run D in the NFL. The Cards didn't even try to run on them. I think we need to air it out on occasion, but allow our defense to win, as the Vikings offense is awful, especially outside of the Homerdome.

TiTaNsFAN 1014
11-26-2006, 10:20 PM
first off, I hate Alfonso Boone
second, Rex should still start unless he COMPLETLY blows the next few games.
Third, i didnt read a whole lot of this thread, but did i catch someone comparing Orton to Grossman?? You have to be kiddin me. Grossman is ten times better than orton. The bears were one of the worst offenses in the league for a reason last year, and they rank among the better this year for a reason. idk, Maybe i just think Grossman is better than he really is cuz im used to seeing the likes of Krenzel, Cade, Chad Hutchenson, chris chandler, shane matthews and dare i say Henry Burris. But i still have faith in rex for now.
Fourthly, every sunday i watch the bears and i notice that Briggs, for as good as he is, is a really bad open field tackler. Does anyone else notice this?

Hurricane Ditka
11-26-2006, 10:22 PM
Well as we enter the home stretch and the playoffs get closer and closer the team needs to be rhythm and the offense needs to be clicking on some level. We needs 3 wins to clinch home field, our defense needs to play better. They got the turnovers but the Patriots killed us on third down. Right now we need to focus on succeeding in the playoffs, we won't win if Rex turns the ball over too much, but we also wont' win if Grossman is too handcuffed to have a shot at making a play downfield.

sweetness34
11-26-2006, 10:23 PM
I think I was so frustrated with that last pick that I blamed too much on Rex. I've been re-watching the game and he's making the right reads, he really is. All 3 of his INT's were single coverage where he just missed his target (and/or the WR ran the wrong route). The first one the NE guy jumped the route, it happens. The second one he had Clark open and just threw it behind him and was about half a second too late on his throw. And the third he had single coverage deep; and I think it was a combo of Davis running the wrong route and Rex missing his target. But he had confidence that his WR could go up and get it, too bad it didn't happen. Although Davis going deep was a mistake IMO.

He's not making the bad decisions so much anymore, just the bad throws. And that's what's puzzling because he's normally good with accuracy (sure he's a little shaky at times but overall he's got pretty good accuracy). IMO he really didn't make a really bad decision today, and that's a good sign. Accuracy just has to improve. Sure a couple throws were questionable but every QB is going to have bad decisions each game, even the great Peyton Manning and Tom Brady make bad decisions.

Rex is a good kid so I'm really pulling for him. He's a great teammate, a great leader, and a class act. And I know he has to be frustrated with his play in the 3 games that he's really faltered. But I look at Peyton and he's making the same throws and they're getting through (a couple of Peyton's passes tonight could have and should have been picked). Not comparing Rex at all to Peyton whatsoever. But it's just a matter of half a second where if Rex gets rid of the ball earlier or later, he's got a completion opportunity.

But I think all of us see his ability to move the ball. Man when he's got time he's deadly and he makes some great throws, especially great deep balls. I'd really like to see more out of the shotgun. He used it in college a ton under Spurrier and it really wouldn't hurt to experiement with it some more times. Gives him more time, allows him to see the field, his eyes are looking down field, and he's already set to throw.

I am in no way though making excuses for Rex at all. It's all on him and the play has to improve but he has shown signs of his potential for IMO more than often this season.

9-2 though ain't to shabby. Oh and btw I find it funny that the highlight of Green Bay's weekend is seeing us lose. :lol:

bearsfan_51
11-26-2006, 10:27 PM
Sweetness I didn't read all that, but it's nice to see that your love for Grossman is true again. :lol:

rainbeaukid2
11-26-2006, 10:28 PM
godamn, grossman was my fantasy qb for this week :evil:

bearsfan_51
11-26-2006, 10:36 PM
I just saw on ESPN that the last play there was a WR on the other side of the field that was wide open. Grossman just stared Davis down.

I don't get that at all....

sweetness34
11-26-2006, 10:36 PM
Sweetness I didn't read all that, but it's nice to see that your love for Grossman is true again. :lol:

Nope I'm still pissed at Grossman and it'll take some more time for him to get on my good side again, but I still support him as our QB. Eh don't listen to what I say when I'm pissed off. I still love Rexy and he's my favorite player. Just pisses me off sometimes, well ok a lot of the time.

As many of you know I kinda get emotional during the games, yes I really do. :D I still want Rex as our QB. I don't know what the hell I was saying back there about starting Griese.

Hurricane Ditka
11-26-2006, 10:54 PM
So if Rex continues to struggle this year do we move some of our eggs to a new basket? Do we look for another rookie do learn from Griese? Trade for a guy with promise like Schaub? Watching the other games throughout the NFL gives me the urge to get a QB that will consistently go out and just play lights out and make good decisions. Like the Cowboys and the Romosexual, who can some out of nowhere and play some kick ass football.

sweetness34
11-26-2006, 11:03 PM
So if Rex continues to struggle this year do we move some of our eggs to a new basket? Do we look for another rookie do learn from Griese? Trade for a guy with promise like Schaub? Watching the other games throughout the NFL gives me the urge to get a QB that will consistently go out and just play lights out and make good decisions. Like the Cowboys and the Romosexual, who can some out of nowhere and play some kick ass football.

It all depends on what Rex does in the playoffs. I do know that if he continues to play like he has been in the bad games that there should be a open competition for starting QB, winner take all. Make him earn it instead of just giving it to him like we have the past 3 seasons, but that's if he continues to play like he has.

sweetness34
11-26-2006, 11:16 PM
Why did we lose today? Because IBNO didn't post his prediction on here. Damn you IBNO. He's done it twice this season I believe and both times we've played like crap (Arizona and Miami game).

Booo IBNO, I hate you! :evil: :lol:

Hurricane Ditka
11-27-2006, 03:37 PM
Why did we lose today? Because IBNO didn't post his prediction on here. Damn you IBNO. He's done it twice this season I believe and both times we've played like crap (Arizona and Miami game).

Booo IBNO, I hate you! :evil: :lol:The offensive's inability to capitalize, hold on to the ball, or put the ball in the endzone. and The defense's inability to be perfect.

Donno
11-27-2006, 08:26 PM
I think if he gets 2 more 3 interception games its time to go to Griese to finish the season and to see what he does. Im never going to forget what happen in the playoffs last year with Grossman. When do you guys think Orton will start or whenever start?

SFbear
11-27-2006, 09:45 PM
My faith in the ability of the Chicago Bears to make it to the NFC championship game is waning. :( Its not just Grossman. The D looks porous.

bearsfan_51
11-27-2006, 10:14 PM
I think if he gets 2 more 3 interception games its time to go to Griese to finish the season and to see what he does. Im never going to forget what happen in the playoffs last year with Grossman. When do you guys think Orton will start or whenever start?
A) We lost the playoff game cause of our pass defense, not Grossman.
B) Orton ******* sucks.

bearsfan_51
11-27-2006, 10:15 PM
My faith in the ability of the Chicago Bears to make it to the NFC championship game is waning. :( Its not just Grossman. The D looks porous.
We shut down their run pretty well. We gave them pretty good field position a lot of the game. The only problem on D is the pass rush right now. Everything else looks good.

Bears_Fan
11-27-2006, 10:38 PM
[quote="bearsfan_51"]I just saw on ESPN that the last play there was a WR on the other side of the field that was wide open. Grossman just stared Davis down.

I glimpsed the same thing last night on ESPN, but I have not come to grips with watching the game again yet. My faith in Grossman is starting to falter. We need the deep ball to open things up, but the Bears should be running the ball a lot more. This is what the Bears do. Why throw from the NE29 on 1 and 10?

The game was awesome, aside from the annoyingly pathetic Patriots fans. I was very happy to see a large representation of Bears fans. Eventhough we lost, I kept on wondering if the Patriots still think the Bears cannot be tough and physical.

What do you guys think about tagging Briggs and trading him for Schaub? Would either side need to include a conditional draft pick? I am thinking that the Falcons would have to include a conditional pick for a Pro Bowler.

bearsfan_51
11-27-2006, 10:58 PM
I personally think that Schaub is just a sexy name that everyone likes to throw around. I think when he gets to be a fulltime starter he'll be a lot more Jon Kitna than John Elway.

TiTaNsFAN 1014
11-27-2006, 11:02 PM
The pass rush was pathetic yesterday. Ogunleye and Brown were basically not even there which is dissappointing.

Bearsfan123
11-27-2006, 11:18 PM
The pass rush was pathetic yesterday. Ogunleye and Brown were basically not even there which is dissappointing.

Yup, and dont let Harris off the hook either. What happened to them?

Smokey Joe
11-28-2006, 03:39 PM

Yup, and dont let Harris off the hook either. What happened to them?
What happened to Harris is that he is getting double-teamed. But that should only make Tank, Brown and Ogun better because then they only have one man to beat. I really think Mark Anderson should go in on all obvious passing plays for Ogun. Brown still gets pressure once in a while, but Ogun has had only one sack since from comming off of injury.

Smokey Joe
11-28-2006, 03:46 PM
The D? 5 turnovers and holding the Pats to only 17 points ain't bad. Like 51 sad, the pass rush has been the D's only downfall lately.

Smokey Joe
11-28-2006, 04:16 PM
Okay, here are some draft possibilities I came up with.

IF Briggs is re-signed:
I could very easily see the Bears taking a saftey in the first round if LB wasn't a need anymore. Maybe even trading up for Michael Griffin. Also, if Briggs is signed, that could mean that Mike Brown was cut to make cap room.

IF Briggs does not re-sign:
I think it would be quite simple, WLB for the cover 2 D. Rufus would probably be the best bet considering how much the Bears org. likes players from Oklahoma. Or even trading up for Paul Pauzlny is a possibility. Or maybe if someone who fits the position well like Jon Beason if he comes out.

QB, IF Rex continues to play the way he has the past 6 games:
If Rex continues to stink, he could be cut. Brian Brohm maybe in late 1st round, would probably have to trade up though. Or if Briggs can't be re-signed, Kevin Kolb, Trent Edwards, or even Drew Stanton in the 2nd?

Thoughts?

bearsfan_51
11-28-2006, 04:53 PM
Why would we cut Grossman?

Hurricane Ditka
11-28-2006, 04:56 PM
That's an interesting point. Although it would be incredibly disloyal to Mike Brown, is losing a player that hasn't been healthy in 3 years, but the heart and soul of your defense equal to keeping a player that is arguably having the best season of his career, and about to peek in his career.

Smokey Joe
11-28-2006, 05:24 PM
If Grossman continues to do nothing but turn the ball over, he can be cut, and the Bears might look in a different direction for the future QB. With that being said, I really hope he starts to play like he did in the first couple of games.

bearfan
11-28-2006, 05:50 PM
If Grossman continues to do nothing but turn the ball over, he can be cut, and the Bears might look in a different direction for the future QB. With that being said, I really hope he starts to play like he did in the first couple of games.

Troy Smith!
-as tall or taller
-more mobile
- I dont watch much college football, but Smith has looked good IMO.

And i dont care if it says Grossman is 6'0 or 6'1, when I go to training camp in the summer he is maybe 5'10.

Smokey Joe
11-28-2006, 06:43 PM

Troy Smith!
-as tall or taller
-more mobile

And i dont care if it says Grossman is 6'0 or 6'1, when I go to training camp in the summer he is maybe 5'10.
Well I was thinking more of trading up and taking Brian Brohm. :twisted:

Windy
11-28-2006, 07:24 PM
JaMarcus Russell

Hurricane Ditka
11-28-2006, 07:42 PM

Troy Smith!
-as tall or taller
-more mobile

And i dont care if it says Grossman is 6'0 or 6'1, when I go to training camp in the summer he is maybe 5'10.Combine measurements are as accurate as they come.

Hurricane Ditka
11-28-2006, 07:43 PM

Troy Smith!
-as tall or taller
-more mobile

And i dont care if it says Grossman is 6'0 or 6'1, when I go to training camp in the summer he is maybe 5'10.Combine measurements are as accurate as they come.

Hurricane Ditka
11-28-2006, 08:07 PM
You know what everybody. I've warmed up to the idea of a TE early again. There were several instances where our receivers haven't done a good job getting open. Clark was doing great in the beginning of the year, but hasn't been as productive since. Miller might do for us what Heath Miller did for the Steelers.

Smokey Joe
11-28-2006, 08:13 PM
You know what everybody. I've warmed up to the idea of a TE early again. There were several instances where our receivers haven't done a good job getting open. Clark was doing great in the beginning of the year, but hasn't been as productive since. Miller might do for us what Heath Miller did for the Steelers.
I think Zach Miller would fall to our second round pick. Not as many teams need TE's early in the draft except maybe Seattle and Cincinnati.

Smokey Joe
11-28-2006, 08:45 PM
Sad news all, the Dog is on a temperary vacation... :cry:

sweetness34
11-29-2006, 10:42 AM
Man, I really wish we had Mike Brown back. Todd and Chris have done a nice job stepping in but Mike was the heart and soul of our D, and it's sad to see that he just can't stay healthy (his two injuries were crappy freak injuries which could've happened to anyone).

I want to believe that he'll still be our SS next year, but I just don't know and I don't think we can take that chance.

Anyway, man it's good to be 9-2. We play kinda crappy against NE and we still almost won the game. At least that's encouraging. :lol:

bearfan
11-29-2006, 03:22 PM
Ok, my new 5 second mock

31: trade down

2nd round: Troy Smith or Brian Brohm
2nd B: Brandon Merriweather

:twisted: :twisted:

Smokey Joe
11-29-2006, 04:07 PM
Ok, my new 5 second mock

:twisted: :twisted:
I would slap you if I could... 8)

Hurricane Ditka
11-29-2006, 04:26 PM
Ok, my new 5 second mock

:twisted: :twisted:Troy Smith will have some of the same problems as Rex, he won't be able to see over the line. I'd rather pull a Broncos and trade up for Jamarcus Russel.

Smokey Joe
11-29-2006, 04:35 PM
Ok, my new 5 second mock

:twisted: :twisted:Troy Smith will have some of the same problems as Rex, he won't be able to see over the line. I'd rather pull a Broncos and trade up for Jamarcus Russel.
I think Brohm would be the better decision then Russel considering that Brohm has much better accuracy and decision making at this point. Russel does have a beastly canon though, and could probably scramble if needed to.

bearsfan_51
11-29-2006, 09:18 PM
It's not going to happen anyway. You're wasting your breath.

Smokey Joe
11-29-2006, 09:26 PM
:?: I'm not talking. I am typing. Shows how much you know.

sweetness34
11-29-2006, 09:45 PM

Oh shiznit, 51 just got pwned. :P :D

Smokey Joe
11-29-2006, 09:47 PM

Oh shiznit, 51 just got pwned. :P :D
I aim to please. :)

Bearsfan123
11-29-2006, 10:13 PM
My grandpa and me were talking today and he said hed give Rex a game and a half to turn it around and that if he didnt he would want Lovie to put in Greise. I disagree with him, we will sink or swim with Grossman, Griese can probably be decent-good but he wont be the big game winner. And I think Grossman could be great, hell we saw it earlier in the year...

sweetness34
11-29-2006, 10:23 PM
My grandpa and me were talking today and he said hed give Rex a game and a half to turn it around and that if he didnt he would want Lovie to put in Greise. I disagree with him, we will sink or swim with Grossman, Griese can probably be decent-good but he wont be the big game winner. And I think Grossman could be great, hell we saw it earlier in the year...

Agreed, you sink or swim with your young QB. I know I called for Griese but that was out of frustration. :lol:

Did Cincy give up on Palmer, or how about the Eagles with McNabb. You just can't do it. I mean look at Eli, a guy 3 years into the league that has regressed. QB's need time, and Rexy is on different.

Do I think he'll ever be in the level of Manning, Brady, or Palmer? Nope I don't. But I can see him in maybe Bulger level. A good starting QB, not a great one but a good one.

Smokey Joe
11-29-2006, 10:30 PM

Agreed, you sink or swim with your young QB. I know I called for Griese but that was out of frustration. :lol:

Did Cincy give up on Palmer, or how about the Eagles with McNabb. You just can't do it. I mean look at Eli, a guy 3 years into the league that has regressed. QB's need time, and Rexy is on different.

Do I think he'll ever be in the level of Manning, Brady, or Palmer? Nope I don't. But I can see him in maybe Bulger level. A good starting QB, not a great one but a good one.
I agree with the Grandpa. If GROSSman continues to suck it up, and he could blow homefield advandtage or even the superbowl for us, a change would be needed to be made.

SFbear
11-29-2006, 11:46 PM
Man, I really wish we had Mike Brown back. Todd and Chris have done a nice job stepping in but Mike was the heart and soul of our D, and it's sad to see that he just can't stay healthy (his two injuries were crappy freak injuries which could've happened to anyone).

I want to believe that he'll still be our SS next year, but I just don't know and I don't think we can take that chance.

Anyway, man it's good to be 9-2. We play kinda crappy against NE and we still almost won the game. At least that's encouraging. :lol:

Does anybody think we could eventually move Daniel Manning to strong safety since that was his natural position in college? I think he's the only one right now who has the speed to play FS in our cover one formations but in the future with some more speedy acquisitions to the secondary since he has pretty good size to go along with his speed.

sweetness34
11-30-2006, 09:42 AM

Does anybody think we could eventually move Daniel Manning to strong safety since that was his natural position in college? I think he's the only one right now who has the speed to play FS in our cover one formations but in the future with some more speedy acquisitions to the secondary since he has pretty good size to go along with his speed.

Eventually, maybe. But I still like Manning's speed at FS. He hasn't let up one big play so far (well if you count the one where Watson jumped over him then ok he's let up one big play). I'd more like to see SS addressed in the draft or F/A and keep Manning at FS, but that's me.

Twiddler
11-30-2006, 09:54 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/11/29/bc.fbn.bears.grossman.sharper.ap/index.html

Basically it's an article about how a certain Viking is almost distraught at how Rex Grossman was trash-talking when you guys beat them last time. And being a Packer fan, I didn't even have to read the article to know it was Darren Sharper.... :lol: Personally I thought it was sort of amusing of how he was offended at his trash talking when he never shuts up at times either. Enjoy.

sweetness34
11-30-2006, 10:07 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/11/29/bc.fbn.bears.grossman.sharper.ap/index.html

Basically it's an article about how a certain Viking is almost distraught at how Rex Grossman was trash-talking when you guys beat them last time. And being a Packer fan, I didn't even have to read the article to know it was Darren Sharper.... :lol: Personally I thought it was sort of amusing of how he was offended at his trash talking when he never shuts up at times either. Enjoy.

Yea he has no room to talk. He was blasting Rex before the game saying they were going to shut him out and how he wasn't a good QB. I applaud Rex for sticking it right in his face at the RollerDome.

I just can't imagine though Rex being a talker. Just from his dimeanor off the field I don't see him doing it on a constant basis.

I did find this funny though:

"I regret a lot of the things I said that game." :lol: What the hell did he say?

Windy
11-30-2006, 01:50 PM
I cant believe that crap. This is football and of course people talk **** all the time. Unless he said some racial slurs then he shouldnt be whining to the media

bearsfan_51
11-30-2006, 02:26 PM
See my sig.

Twiddler
11-30-2006, 05:21 PM
See my sig.

Haha, ooooo take that Darren Sharper.... :lol:

BUSTKUNTLAWL
11-30-2006, 05:47 PM
:lol:

bearsfan_51
11-30-2006, 06:16 PM
Pat Williams was downgraded to doubtful. Gotta like that.

Smokey Joe
11-30-2006, 06:19 PM
Pat Williams was downgraded to doubtful. Gotta like that.
Is he the one who Kreutz picks on?

bearsfan_51
11-30-2006, 06:19 PM
Plus Bear weather. Although the Vikings actually have a worse offense than us, so that might be to our detriment.

Hurricane Ditka
11-30-2006, 07:09 PM
Plus Bear weather. Although the Vikings actually have a worse offense than us, so that might be to our detriment.Their pass defense is also terrible.

bearsfan_51
11-30-2006, 07:21 PM
Plus Bear weather. Although the Vikings actually have a worse offense than us, so that might be to our detriment.Their pass defense is also terrible.
Right. And their run defense is amazing. They are 1st in the NFL and it's not even close. I think I saw that they've allowed less than 200 yards total in the last 5 games. The more that I think about it, the Vikes are actually more built for "Bear weather" than the Bears are.

bearsfan_51
11-30-2006, 07:23 PM
This is also why Pat Williams missing would be big, as he is a large part (literally) of their run defense.

Hurricane Ditka
11-30-2006, 07:27 PM
Right. And their run defense is amazing. They are 1st in the NFL and it's not even close. I think I saw that they've allowed less than 200 yards total in the last 5 games. The more that I think about it, the Vikes are actually more built for "Bear weather" than the Bears are.Well, it's about to blizzard in Chi-Town (Hoping and Praying for a snow day). I don't think any team can really be built for that. Especially an indoor team. And with Fat Pat out the Vikes will have their hands full with the Bears,

Smokey Joe
11-30-2006, 07:49 PM
It is supposed to be something like 20 degrees this sunday, and probably a little snowy. Man, this is my favorite part of the season!

Smokey Joe
11-30-2006, 08:11 PM
Here is my first round big board...

1. Rufus Alexander (if Briggs leaves)
3. Levi Brown
4. Michael Griffin
5. Zach Miller

bearsfan_51
11-30-2006, 08:20 PM

2. Brian Brohm (I hope not, but this all depends on how Grossman finishes the season, wheter he sinks or strives in the final games)
3. Levi Brown
4. Michael Griffin
5. Zach Miller
We're not going to draft a QB in the first round. Please stop kidding yourself.

Smokey Joe
11-30-2006, 08:25 PM

2. Brian Brohm (I hope not, but this all depends on how Grossman finishes the season, wheter he sinks or strives in the final games)
3. Levi Brown
4. Michael Griffin
5. Zach Miller
We're not going to draft a QB in the first round. Please stop kidding yourself.
I hope not, but this all depends on how Grossman finishes the season, wheter he sinks or strives in the final games

It depends, just like LB depends if Briggs leaves.

bearsfan_51
11-30-2006, 08:28 PM
No it doesn't. Rex could poop on Lovie's face and we won't draft a QB in the first round. We won't.

Smokey Joe
11-30-2006, 08:32 PM
No it doesn't. Rex could poop on Lovie's face and we won't draft a QB in the first round. We won't.
If Grossman lays an egg the rest of the season, or whatever, I would consider dumping him and bringing in a "QB of the Future." With that being said, I really hope that doesn't happen, because I want to see Rex and the team succeed.

BTW, it is MY "big board." Not Lovie Smith's, not Jerry Angelo's, but MINE.

bearsfan_51
11-30-2006, 08:35 PM
And I said it wasn't going to happen, which you took umbrage with. You can think or want whatever you want, but it's still not going to happen. Rex has barely started a full season. They aren't going to dump him and invest another 1st round pick in a QB.

Smokey Joe
11-30-2006, 08:38 PM
And I said it wasn't going to happen, which you took umbrage with. You can think or want whatever you want, but it's still not going to happen. Rex has barely started a full season. They aren't going to dump him and invest another 1st round pick in a QB.
Is that so Mr. Angelo?

No one knows what is going to happen in the offseason. And I am stating MY opinion.

bearsfan_51
11-30-2006, 08:42 PM
Is that so Mr. Angelo?
Yes.

Fist of all it goes against everything the organization has done and said up to this point.

Second of all, it makes absolutely no sense at all. It would just be a really bad football move. They aren't going to flat out cut Rex. I would bet you anything you want to be that it's not going to happen. And if they aren't going to cut him, they won't keep Griese (who is making about 5 million per), and two first round picks. It would show an incredible lack of patience and football knowledge to bail out on an investment the team has made and ignore other needs that we clearly have. It might make sense to a high school kid, but it's not going to happen. I really like you as a poster but I think sometimes you think this is Madden (previous post about possibly cutting Griese). Good franchises don't make drastic moves like that. And I forget more about the Bears everyday than you know. So if you really want to argue organizational philosophy and team history, be my guest.

Smokey Joe
11-30-2006, 08:47 PM
Damn, the elder has me beat again :( I am still learning, I am young. I didn't get into football really until about 6th grade, So I have only about really 5-6 years of real football knowledge in my head.

bearsfan_51
11-30-2006, 08:48 PM
Also, the problem with Rex currently is his decision making skills, not his ability.

The concern is Rex's ability to play for the current and in the playoffs, not for the playoffs. How is a rookie going to help us win the Superbowl anymore?

bearsfan_51
11-30-2006, 08:49 PM
Damn, the elder has me beat again :( I am still learning, I am young. I didn't get into football really until about 6th grade, So I have only about really 5-6 years of real football knowledge in my head.
If we cut Rex and draft a first rounder I'll be the first to come back, say I was wrong, and apologize. I just can't see it happening barring a MAJOR injury to Rex.

Smokey Joe
11-30-2006, 08:50 PM
If we cut Rex and draft a first rounder I'll be the first to come back, say I was wrong, and apologize. I just can't see it happening barring a MAJOR injury to Rex.
haha, you jinxed him you fool! :lol:

bearsfan_51
11-30-2006, 08:57 PM
I do think, however, that two vets that should be under at least some degree of scrutiny are Mike Brown and Wale Ogunleye.

Both guys are making good money and underproducing due to both health and other factors.

Wale is my favorite personality on the Bears, but he's been having a bad season. He's been with the team for 2 1/2 seasons and has 18 1/2 sacks. For a guy that's getting paid to get double digit sacks per year, that's unnacceptable. I don't think he'll get cut mind you, as he's a vet leader and a good player, but I'm sure there are whispers inside the organization, particularly with the emergence of Mark Anderson.

Alex Brown will never be a big sack guy, but he's a cheaper alternative and has a great motor.

Smokey Joe
11-30-2006, 09:02 PM
I do think, however, that two vets that should be under at least some degree of scrutiny are Mike Brown and Wale Ogunleye.

Both guys are making good money and underproducing due to both health and other factors.

Wale is my favorite personality on the Bears, but he's been having a bad season. He's been with the team for 2 1/2 seasons and has 18 1/2 sacks. For a guy that's getting paid to get double digit sacks per year, that's unnacceptable. I don't think he'll get cut mind you, as he's a vet leader and a good player, but I'm sure there are whispers inside the organization, particularly with the emergence of Mark Anderson.

Alex Brown will never be a big sack guy, but he's a cheaper alternative and has a great motor.
I agree. Wale has not been the same since had that injury early in the season. He returned after missing I think 2 games, got a sack right away, and then just disappeared. And I agree with you, I don't think he will be cut.

But, I could see Mike Brown being cut, to make room for possibly resigning Briggs. I love Mike Brown, but 3 years in a row now he has been injured. But if Brown is cut, that makes a hole at SS. Do you draft someone like Michael Griffin, and basically have him battle for the SS vs. Chris Harris, Todd Johnson, Brandon McGowin, etc. or what?

Smokey Joe
11-30-2006, 09:05 PM
I think I see a little snow falling here in chicago!

Bearsfan123
12-01-2006, 09:36 AM

a little!? Where are you watching from? Its like 6 inches! Its BEAR WEATHER!!!!

Smokey Joe
12-01-2006, 10:08 AM

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:05 pm

Bearsfan123
12-01-2006, 04:29 PM

oops my bad. :oops:

Bensons comments piss me off. I think we should move him. Hes definately not getting along with everyone, and Jones is doing fine for us. So trade him, then move up in a year or two for a good back. Or if Lynch falls far enough trade up for him.

Hurricane Ditka
12-01-2006, 04:37 PM

Bensons comments piss me off. I think we should move him. Hes definately not getting along with everyone, and Jones is doing fine for us. So trade him, then move up in a year or two for a good back. Or if Lynch falls far enough trade up for him.Benson didn't say anything outrageous. Benson can play if we give him the chance.

Bearsfan123
12-01-2006, 04:39 PM

Bensons comments piss me off. I think we should move him. Hes definately not getting along with everyone, and Jones is doing fine for us. So trade him, then move up in a year or two for a good back. Or if Lynch falls far enough trade up for him.Benson didn't say anything outrageous. Benson can play if we give him the chance.

id rather have a team that respects each other and will play hard for one another than a team with a star runningback that isnt respected or played hard for.

sweetness34
12-01-2006, 05:00 PM

id rather have a team that respects each other and will play hard for one another than a team with a star runningback that isnt respected or played hard for.

He lost his job due to injury in TC. And in the NE game he should have gotten more carries in the 2nd Half. They brought him in and didn't give him the ball in the 2nd half.

Hurricane Ditka
12-01-2006, 06:20 PM
I don't think you can honestly judge Cedric Benson's talent by the number of carries he's gotten this year. He hasn't been given his shot. His situation is similar to Larry Johnson's, (Although Cedric is no LJ, and Thomas Jones is certainly no Priest Holmes.) but Benson can't keep his mouth shut and the Team won't get behind him. Thomas Jones only runs hard when he knows his job is on the line. Early in the season, he ran a little girl, when his job was on the line he ran with a little authority, in the New England game he didn't run hard until after Cedric Benson startied having a good game.

SFbear
12-01-2006, 08:24 PM
Thomas Jones = Aging veteran leader
Cedric Benson = Arrogant hot shot rookie who doesnt mesh with the team

I was supporting Cedric earlier this year because I thought he fit our offensive scheme much better and be better at converting third and short than Jones. Now the more he talks, the more Im glad Lovie is keeping his dumbass on the bench.

One fits our scheme better, but the other fits our team better. I could care less if Benson goes somewhere else and shines. He has no desire to earn the respect of this coaching staff or other players. If that means Lovie is playing team "politics" than good for him.

If the kid shuts his mouth and just goes out and plays, Ill support him. But I dont blame Lovie one bit for starting Jones.

Hurricane Ditka
12-01-2006, 10:23 PM
The coaching staff hasn't given him the chance to go out and play. That's part of the problem. If a team spends the fourth pick of the draft on you, you want your chance to carry the rock. Ced hasn't been given the chance. He's done admirable in spot duty, but there have been times Thomas Jones hasn't met expectations this year. Cedric didn't say anything out of line, that's the problem here. The media is blowing it out of proportion. What happens when Thomas Jones goes down? It's bound to happen sometime between now and the playoffs. One thing Lovie and co have to do is when we lock up HFA, is sit Thomas Jones, and see what Cedric can do getting 25 carries a game.

bearsfan_51
12-01-2006, 10:43 PM
Even if he is right (which he's not) that isn't even the point.

Just shut the **** up. Just shut up. Don't you get it? You aren't playing because everyone on the team thinks you're a *****. And everyone on the team thinks you're a *****....because you're a massive *****.

You get paid about 7-8 million dollars a year to have a 3.5 ypc average. You are the luckiest son of a ***** in the world.

Shut.

Up.

Smokey Joe
12-01-2006, 10:56 PM
Did I miss something, what did Benson say?

bearsfan_51
12-01-2006, 11:03 PM
- "They" exaggerate the difference in blocking between him and Jones as an excuse for why he isn't on the field more.

-That he and Thomas Jones are not friends and never have been.

-That politics is the reason why he isn't getting more playing time and that he's a better player than Jones.

-A bunch of other stupid ****.

Smokey Joe
12-01-2006, 11:22 PM
Benson didn't say anything really out of line. This is a lot like the L.J. thing from a few years back.

Also, 51, why do you hate Orton so much? Or why do you think he is a horrible QB? Not many 4th round QB's can come into an offense with practiaclly no weapons except the run game, and get a 9-4 record, or something like that. Kyle Orton has potential to be a decent starter, good back-up in this league.

bearsfan_51
12-01-2006, 11:25 PM
I hate him because he's a white trash douche bag.

I think he's a bad QB cause he's terrible. He didn't do anything that 95% of the QB's in the league couldn't have done.

This year is showing that we actually do have some weapons, but nobody could tell because ever ball Orton threw was 10 feet over their head. The only reason why he wasn't picked more was because he was too irratic to even hit the other team with the ball.

bearsfan_51
12-01-2006, 11:27 PM
Benson didn't say anything really out of line. This is a lot like the L.J. thing from a few years back.
I think LJ needs to shut up from time to time too. He just came out in the media and said that when Vermeil was coach he never studied the playbook or listened when the coaches talked to him. If I was a Chiefs fan I would like him as a player but I still think he's a dumbass too.

Smokey Joe
12-01-2006, 11:28 PM

I think he's a bad QB cause he's terrible. He didn't do anything that 95% of the QB's in the league couldn't have done.

This year is showing that we actually do have some weapons, but nobody could tell because ever ball Orton threw was 10 feet over their head. The only reason why he wasn't picked more was because he was too irratic to even hit the other team with the ball.
Look at who Orton as his targets last year. A slower, fatter Muhammed who couldn't catch a cold; Justin Gage, do I need to say anymore?; and a slower, fatter Dez Clark. Yeah, Orton had the best recievers in the league :roll:

Last year Bradley was Orton's favorite target, and they showed good potential in the Lion's game, until Bradley got hurt.

Hurricane Ditka
12-01-2006, 11:30 PM
- "They" exaggerate the difference in blocking between him and Jones as an excuse for why he isn't on the field more.
Really, there is no blocking difference. I've made it a point to watch Jones' pass blocking, almost all season, and Jones' isn't the spectactular pass blocker you paint him out to be.

-That he and Thomas Jones are not friends and never have been.
They aren't, that's his choice and Thomas', Jones said for day one that him and Benson would have a business relationship.

-That politics is the reason why he isn't getting more playing time and that he's a better player than Jones.
He could be, but we don't that. There has to be some politics behind it

-A bunch of other stupid ***********. And why are we arguing like some 2-9 Lions fans? Our team is 9-2, and what 2 wins away from HFA throughout? And Kyle Orton can be a good starter if he's given time and his only receiver doesn't start a smear campaign against him in the locker room and the media. I'd like too see some other fourth round QB go from comfortable third string back-up to starter in 2 weeks and lead the team to a 10-4 record. Matt Leniart was the 10th overall pick and has only managed to win 2 games this year.

bearsfan_51
12-01-2006, 11:31 PM

Look at who Orton as his targets last year. A slower, fatter Muhammed who couldn't catch a cold; Justin Gage, do I need to say anymore?; and a slower, fatter Dez Clark. Yeah, Orton had the best recievers in the league :roll:
You really think a little weight loss is that big of a difference? Come on....

I don't even like Grossman but he's leaps and bounds beyond Orton.

GB12
12-01-2006, 11:33 PM

Last year Bradley was Orton's favorite target, and they should good potential in the Lion's game, until Bradley got hurt.

He never said that Orton had good recievers at all. Just face it Orton isn't good at all. Take away the Defense and you'd be in big trouble. Why are you making such a big deal about a third string QB anyway?

Smokey Joe
12-01-2006, 11:33 PM

A little weight loss? Muhammed lost 15 pounds this past offseason, and Clark lost 10, I think. Have you not noticed how much more quicker Muhammed and Clark are? Come on 51, do you not know how stupid that sounds? Yeah, losing fat, gaining muscle, and getting faster makes hardly no difference :roll:

Hurricane Ditka
12-01-2006, 11:34 PM
Last year Kyle had a broken handed 20 lbs heavier Moose, a 20 lbs heavier Desmond Clark, Justin Gage (I don't need to elaborate), Him and Mark Bradley were doing well until he tore his ACL. Bernard Berrian didn't play until Rex got back. Our Oline was still adjusting to each other, Tait had just moved to left tackle, Brown was constantly injured, Metcalf and Miller couldn't help but jump offsides at crucial times.

bearsfan_51
12-01-2006, 11:35 PM

A little weight loss? Muhammed lost 15 pounds this past offseason, and Clark lost 10, I think. Have you not noticed how much more quicker Muhammed and Clark are? Come on 51, do you not know how stupid that sounds? Yeah, losing fat, gaining muscle, and getting faster makes hardly no difference :roll:
Losing weight has nothing to do with Orton throwing the ball 10 yards over every recievers head. He can't complete a ball past 15 yards and has no pocket prescence. He was absolutely terrible last year, I don't see how this is even debatable.

Smokey Joe
12-01-2006, 11:36 PM
Last year Kyle had a broken handed 20 lbs heavier Moose, a 20 lbs heavier Desmond Clark, Justin Gage (I don't need to elaborate), Him and Mark Bradley were doing well until he tore his ACL. Bernard Berrian didn't play until Rex got back. Our Oline was still adjusting to each other, Tait had just moved to left tackle, Brown was constantly injured, Metcalf and Miller couldn't help but jump offsides at crucial times.
To summerize what you just said...

Orton was never put into a situation here he could succeed. But, he still led the team to a 10-4 record.

bearsfan_51
12-01-2006, 11:36 PM
Right. My bad. Every other player on the offense was the reason Orton has absolutely no accuracy on his passes.

Clearly Fred Miller is the reason Kyle Orton sucks.

Hurricane Ditka
12-01-2006, 11:37 PM
Orton had two choices, throw it over their heads, or have the ball intercepted because they can't get open.

Smokey Joe
12-01-2006, 11:37 PM

Losing weight has nothing to do with Orton throwing the ball 10 yards over every recievers head. He can't complete a ball past 15 yards and has no pocket prescence. He was absolutely terrible last year, I don't see how this is even debatable.
My goodness, not all 4th round QB's thrown into a weak offense play like top QB's. HE HAS POTENTIAL!

GB12
12-01-2006, 11:38 PM

Orton was never put into a situation here he could succeed. But, he still led the team to a 10-4 record.

What are you talking about. He was put in a great position to succeed. He got great feild position from the defence and had a good run game.

bearsfan_51
12-01-2006, 11:38 PM

Orton didn't "lead" us to ****. The rest of the team carried his dead ass untill Grossman got healthy. Why do you think we gave Griese 20 million dollars to come be our backup? So we never have to see Orton take the field again.

bearsfan_51
12-01-2006, 11:39 PM
Orton had two choices, throw it over their heads, or have the ball intercepted because they can't get open.
You're so delusional. Put Orton in this offense today and he's still the same ****** quarterback.

Hurricane Ditka
12-01-2006, 11:39 PM
Right. My bad. Every other player on the offense was the reason Orton has absolutely no accuracy on his passes.

Clearly Fred Miller is the reason Kyle Orton sucks.Fred Miller is the reason we didn't get Braylon Edwards

Smokey Joe
12-01-2006, 11:41 PM
Hey 51, what do most 2nd day, even 1st day QB's do their first season, or at least the first few games? They stand on the sideling with a clipboard and learn. How long did Orton have to learn? A week, maybe 2? And then he got thrown into the starting spot, and did the best he could, considering who his targets were, and how very inexpierenced he was.

Hurricane Ditka
12-01-2006, 11:41 PM
Want an example of the recievers hindering Orton? Carolina game, after the 2nd Vasher int. Orton hits Moose right in the hands, and drops it. Our receivers had the highest drop % in the league last year.

Smokey Joe
12-01-2006, 11:42 PM

Orton didn't "lead" us to ***********. The rest of the team carried his dead ass untill Grossman got healthy. Why do you think we gave Griese 20 million dollars to come be our backup? So we never have to see Orton take the field again.
Say whatever you want. Say that Thomas Jones and the Defense led the team. But who was the guy under center every play? Who was the one who controlled the ball so the team could still win?

bearsfan_51
12-01-2006, 11:44 PM
I'm tired of this argument. Orton will never start on this team ever again so who cares? I'm glad he's gone and hopefully I'll never have to speak his name again. It's sad that a Packers fan has to point that out to you. In closing, here's a picture that summarizes my feelings on the matter.

http://www.mariomonsters.com/t/tubbablubba/koenvb_tubbablubba.gif

Hurricane Ditka
12-01-2006, 11:45 PM
I like how once anyone has a valid point, you decide to stop the arguement and post a picture of some Mario character.

bearsfan_51
12-01-2006, 11:48 PM
I like how once anyone has a valid point, you decide to stop the arguement and post a picture of some Mario character.
Our recievers dropped passes cause Orton can't throw a catchable ball. I couldn't tell you how many times Moose had to jump up ten feet, the ball would tip off his hands, and they counted that as a drop.

You don't think it's odd that every player on offense is magically having a better season now that Orton isn't the QB? There's no sense in arguing it because you're so dead set convinced that Orton is worth a ****. Which is fine, but thankfully the Bears FO and coaching staff don't share your opinion or I'll never have to watch his sorry ass again.

Smokey Joe
12-01-2006, 11:50 PM

What are you talking about. He was put in a great position to succeed. He got great feild position from the defence and had a good run game.
but not one recieving target.

Hurricane Ditka
12-01-2006, 11:52 PM
Our recievers dropped passes cause Orton can't throw a catchable ball. I couldn't tell you how many times Moose had to jump up ten feet, the ball would tip off his hands, and they counted that as a drop.

You don't think it's odd that every player on offense is magically having a better season now that Orton isn't the QB? There's no sense in arguing it because you're so dead set convinced that Orton is worth a ***********. Which is fine, but thankfully the Bears FO and coaching staff don't share your opinion or I'll never have to watch his sorry ass again.The only constant at wide receiver is Mohammad and Clark and they are only doing marginally better than last year, other than that Berrian, and Bradley missed significant playing time, and Davis wasn't even playing the position.

And don't you hate Grossman anyway?

GB12
12-01-2006, 11:55 PM

Mohammed was still there. Don't say that losing a couple pounds made him that much better. I;m sure it helped a little but come on. It didn;t make his hands any better either.

Smokey Joe
12-01-2006, 11:56 PM

Mohammed was still there. Don't say that losing a couple pounds made him that much better. I;m sure it helped a little but come on. It didn;t make his hands any better either.
He had a broken hand.

Hurricane Ditka
12-01-2006, 11:57 PM
He lost 15 pounds, and had hand fractures last year. Not exactly comparable situations.

Smokey Joe
12-01-2006, 11:58 PM
I'm tired of this argument.

http://www.themushroomkingdom.net/images/sms/sms_mario_run-goo.jpg

GB12
12-01-2006, 11:58 PM

He had a broken hand.

:oops: got me there. I forgot about that.

Smokey Joe
12-02-2006, 12:02 AM

He had a broken hand.

:oops: got me there. I forgot about that.
forgot or just didn't know :twisted:

Hurricane Ditka
12-02-2006, 12:03 AM
I have lost interest due to revealing evidence against my cause.
http://www.cf-network.com/cfan/IMG/jpg/wario.jpg

GB12
12-02-2006, 12:05 AM
Why do you guys want to prove so badly that you're 3rd string QB is so great.

Smokey Joe
12-02-2006, 12:06 AM
Why do you guys want to prove so badly that you're 3rd string QB is so great.
Because I hate it when people just automatically acuse someone of sucking. I think Orton has potential to be decent.