PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Steelers Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17]

Hines
05-25-2008, 08:20 PM
Madison IMO is only a fringe STer. He lacks the size to be a every down corner. He is a FA at the end of the season and it wouldnt be a suprise if the Steelers dont resign him.

mikehop05
05-25-2008, 09:14 PM
William G*y practiced at FS for us during OTA's a couple times

Hines
05-25-2008, 09:16 PM
People in our organization do compare him to Deshea so I would hope that they play him there. I like G*y a lot.

Strongside
05-25-2008, 09:23 PM
Who do you guys think will start at FS if it's between Clark and Smith?

Hines
05-25-2008, 09:27 PM
Untill Smith learns to be less agressive, it will be Clark. He is like Hope, and that is the type of FS we need to complement Poly. I love Smith and I love his potential, but he needs learn to tame his aggressiveness to be a sure fire stud in the league.

SCSteeler
05-26-2008, 01:53 AM
Why do you guys think we didn't go after a corner in the draft or FA?
this has been buggin me for awhile!

Hines
05-26-2008, 10:40 AM
I guess Tomlin is really sold on our group. He brought in one during UDFA and from reading on him and looking at his stats, he was good. I like the three of BMac-Ike-Deshea and I think *** is a solid number 4. If BMac stays healthy and does great this camp, he will start and be a solid starter. I really like BMac and hope he does well.

Santonio10
05-27-2008, 08:58 PM
I guess Tomlin is really sold on our group. He brought in one during UDFA and from reading on him and looking at his stats, he was good. I like the three of BMac-Ike-Deshea and I think *** is a solid number 4. If BMac stays healthy and does great this camp, he will start and be a solid starter. I really like BMac and hope he does well.

Yeah for as much as I like smith, I like Mcfadden just as much. He's got a ton of potential and i really hope he starts to put it to use. As for ***, he's a bery solid back up. I think he would be a good FS because he doesn't exactly have blazing speed but i think he'll develope into a solid nickel guy for us in the future.

Hines
05-27-2008, 09:59 PM
I read a little tid bit on scout about the OTA. It was about Anthony Smith and how he is still showing immaturity. IMO, if he doesnt grow up, I say have Clark start, cut Smith in the offseason, and draft either Taylor Mays or William Moore in the first round. We can not sit there and play games with Smith. I love the kid, and love his potential, but he has to show consistancy and maturity to be a star. A lot of you will disagree with me, but honestly, I dont care. I dont have the premium package for scout so I cant give you all the details.

Unbiased
05-28-2008, 02:41 AM
Just a little mock I threw together because I can't go to sleep. Biggest thing to look for here are the positions, not necessarily the players picked, as it is very early.

1. George Robinson, OG, Oklahoma
My take is to resign Smith before the season, let Starks go after the season, keep Willie at RT, and move Trai to RT as his backup. Duke challenges and eventually takes over for Simmons in 2009.
2. Vince Oghobaase, DE, Duke
I was disappointed at first that DE wasn't addressed in the 2008 draft, but there wasn't really room for a DE after resigning Kirschke and Eason. Let Kirschke go after the season and draft Oghobaase, who is a great run-stuffer and will take Kiesel's job in a year.
3. Antoine Caldwell, C, Alabama
I'm glad Mahan is done as our starting center. Hartwig is a good signing, but isn't great, and there isn't much depth behind him anyway. Caldwell is a tad underrated playing on the same line as Andre Smith, and he could earn the starting job a few years down the road.
4. Londen Fryar, CB, Western Michigan
Obviously, DeShea is getting older. He probably only has a couple years left in the NFL, and maybe only one for the Steelers. Anthony Madison probably shouldn't be in the NFL and is easily expendable. Fryar would start out as a dime back and give us a solid core with Ike, McFadden, and ***. DeAndre Wright is another guy I like, but as of now, he'd probably be gone by this pick.
5. Reshard Langford, SS, Vanderbilt
Mundy is best suited at FS along with Clark and Smith. Tyrone Carter has a nasty demeanor but the ability just isn't there. Langford becomes Troy's backup immediately.
6. Chris Pressley, FB, Wisconsin
I don't like Carey Davis as the starter and feel he can fairly easily be upgraded and I don't see Latsko making this year's cut. In 2008, I liked Carl Stewart as a prospect and this year, I like Pressley. He was a huge reason for Wisconsin's great running game. P.J. Hill is a good back, but he also made Lance Smith and Zach Brown look like All Big 10 running backs.
7. Orion Martin, OLB, Virginia Tech
Tough to pin a legitimate need this late, but with Timmons moving inside, I don't like Frazier and Arnold as backups. Martin will probably be underdrafted due to his size, but would be a nice backup down the road, probably nothing more.

SCSteeler
05-28-2008, 03:10 AM
Stewart Shweigert or Anthony Smith?

Santonio10
05-28-2008, 10:41 AM
I read a little tid bit on scout about the OTA. It was about Anthony Smith and how he is still showing immaturity. IMO, if he doesnt grow up, I say have Clark start, cut Smith in the offseason, and draft either Taylor Mays or William Moore in the first round. We can not sit there and play games with Smith. I love the kid, and love his potential, but he has to show consistancy and maturity to be a star. A lot of you will disagree with me, but honestly, I dont care. I dont have the premium package for scout so I cant give you all the details.

I don't think that's actually too bad of an idea. Mays and Moore are both beasts. I think Mays would probably be a top 10 or 15 pick based upon his size and measurables. Same thing goes with Moore, but i would love to have either of those guys. If Smith doesn't start to show some of that potential this year then I think we should cut him and do what you suggested Hines.

mikehop05
05-28-2008, 12:27 PM
What happened with Smith is that he picked off a pass during a two minute drill, and afterwards he proceeded to hurl the ball into the fence on the sideline.

Immaturity? Probably. Pumped that he made a good play after struggling a bit? That's my best guess.

Hines
05-28-2008, 12:37 PM
If we were to keep Smith, I would put him behind Poly as the SS. He is not a FS in our system. He has potential to be a stud FS, but he is too much of a strong hitter for our good to be our FS. What Chris Hope and Ryan Clark are and were, were centerfield type of FS. Thats what we need in order to let Poly roam. Thats why Poly was so effective in our Super Bowl season, because Hope would be able to play centerfield effectivly. Thats were Moore would be the best option to be drafted for us.

As for the mock, I like it. I like Robinson and Caldwell. I like Stanfords corner a lot and think he could be a good pick up. Duke doesnt produce a lot of good players, but I can see that guy being good.

We can get a good defensive lineman in free agency next offseason if hes there. He is Jordan Babinuex(sp) from Atlanta.

Hines
05-29-2008, 11:17 AM
I have read some nice things around OTAs:

- Kevin Marion, UDFA that took Dorien Bryants spot, has been playing well showing great hands and routes. Hopefully he comes in and impresses returning kicks. He did well at Wake Forest returning them.

-Limas Sweed is going to block punts. He is on the punt block team coming off the edge. I think he could block some.

-Anthony Smith picked off a ball, ran about five yards then threw it into a fence. That was the immaturity I was talking about. He makes a great play, then messes it up. He needs to grow up. Its only practice kid, dont show boat then.

mikehop05
05-29-2008, 02:23 PM
-Anthony Smith picked off a ball, ran about five yards then threw it into a fence. That was the immaturity I was talking about. He makes a great play, then messes it up. He needs to grow up. Its only practice kid, dont show boat then.

I wish i woulda said this 2 posts ago

Unbiased
06-01-2008, 11:08 AM
Roethlisberger is a 95 in Madden. Dixon is a 72.

Hines
06-01-2008, 11:11 AM
Roethlisberger is a 95 in Madden. Dixon is a 72.

With a ******** 60 speed.

Unbiased
06-01-2008, 12:30 PM
With a ******** 60 speed.

Yeah, they better give him a decent injury rating then. Although it should be the other way around, you can't say he's slow AND injury-prone.

Strongside
06-01-2008, 12:38 PM
http://www.pastapadre.com/wordpress/wp-content/gallery/madden-09-player-ratings/steelerso.jpg

http://www.pastapadre.com/wordpress/wp-content/gallery/madden-09-player-ratings/steelersd.jpg

The rest of the Steelers ratings. Woodley didn't even break 80

Unbiased
06-01-2008, 12:41 PM
Tyrone Carter > Anthony Smith?

Hines
06-01-2008, 12:42 PM
There will be other players on the roster, but thats just the few back ups. Nice.

skarocksoi
06-01-2008, 01:24 PM
Why dont I see Timmons on that list?

Hines
06-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Why dont I see Timmons on that list?

Like I said, that is just a blue print. Timmons will be on there along with other players.

Mr. Stiller
06-02-2008, 11:10 AM
Sup Guys. I did my Pre-2009 Mock Last night:

1) Jeff Owens, NT, Georgia
2) Eugene Monroe, LT/RT, Virginia
3) DeMonte' Bolden, DE, Tennessee
3c) Jamaal Westerman, LOLB, Rutgers
4) Morgan Trent, CB, Michigan
5) Jason Chapman, DE, Wisconsin
6) Tyrell Sales, OLB/ILB, Penn State
7) Eric Vandenheuvel, OT/OG, Wisconsin

Hines
06-02-2008, 02:02 PM
I really like Peria Jerry from Ole Miss, and I would chose him over Bolden at this point. I like Jeff Owens a lot, along with Monroe. I am not a fan of Trent at all. I like the 7th pick, but I can see him moving up in the boards.

Hines
06-02-2008, 02:24 PM
I just read that Lebeau is going to have Harrison and Keisel move around a lot this season to confuse the offense. I think it will be a good idea since they are two of our best pass rushers.

My theory is to play a 3-5-3 defense sometimes and have Woodley, Timmons, Farrior, Harrison, and Davis on the field the same time and blitz three of them, while having Poly playing centerfield. It might be really effective if executed right. That would make me seriously have nice dreams at night. If that dont work, have Keisel stand up with them and run a 2-6-2. I have high hopes for this pass rush group this season.

Mr. Stiller
06-02-2008, 02:58 PM
I really like Peria Jerry from Ole Miss, and I would chose him over Bolden at this point. I like Jeff Owens a lot, along with Monroe. I am not a fan of Trent at all. I like the 7th pick, but I can see him moving up in the boards.

You would rather draft a NT over a 3-4 DE?

DeMonte Bolden if he gets his head on straight is Albert Haynesworth 2.0. 6'6 298lbs 4.90 speed. very good penetrator.

Peria Jerry is 6'1 315lbs he would play NT.

I think McBean, Bolden and Chapman would give us a solid trio of DE's that will really bolster the position.

Especially with Owens at NT.

I'm not a huge fan of Trent right now but the talent at CB is minimal especially at the 4-5th round range.

Trent has the size, strength and speed to be molded into an efficient CB. Especially considering his experience in a 3-4 Zone team.

The guy that I would be most ecstatic to land is Jamaal Westerman.

6'3 255lbs 4.72 speed.

Can beat you off the edge with Technique, strength or speed. He gave EVERYONE fits.

8 Sacks, 11 Hurries, 35.5 Tackles, 14 TFL's,

Hines
06-02-2008, 03:00 PM
You would rather draft a NT over a 3-4 DE?

DeMonte Bolden if he gets his head on straight is Albert Haynesworth 2.0. 6'6 298lbs 4.90 speed. very good penetrator.

Peria Jerry is 6'1 315lbs he would play NT.

I think McBean, Bolden and Chapman would give us a solid trio of DE's that will really bolster the position.

Especially with Owens at NT.

I'm not a huge fan of Trent right now but the talent at CB is minimal especially at the 4-5th round range.

Trent has the size, strength and speed to be molded into an efficient CB. Especially considering his experience in a 3-4 Zone team.

Isnt Owens like 295?

Mr. Stiller
06-02-2008, 03:13 PM
Isnt Owens like 295?

Yeah, but he won't be starting immediately. Over a years time he can add 15 good lbs. Give it 2 years and he could be up to 320.

Owens is probably the Top NT prospect in my book.

Hines
06-02-2008, 04:55 PM
I read that Shaun Cody might be released from the Lions. I would like him on the Steelers. He played in a **** hole in Detroit. Would cost a pretty penny, but is young and will provide great depth. Not saying we will and should sign him, but he could be pretty good for us. Could play both end and NT.

About Owens, I would like to keep him as a pass rushing end in our system.

Unbiased
06-03-2008, 12:43 AM
Sup Guys. I did my Pre-2009 Mock Last night:

1) Jeff Owens, NT, Georgia
2) Eugene Monroe, LT/RT, Virginia
3) DeMonte' Bolden, DE, Tennessee
3c) Jamaal Westerman, LOLB, Rutgers
4) Morgan Trent, CB, Michigan
5) Jason Chapman, DE, Wisconsin
6) Tyrell Sales, OLB/ILB, Penn State
7) Eric Vandenheuvel, OT/OG, Wisconsin

So I'm assuming you want to move Willie inside to take over for Simmons? O-line in a year:

LT: Marvel Smith, Tony Hills
LG: Chris Kemoeatu, Kendall Simmons
C: Justin Hartwig, Darnell Stapleton
RG: Willie Colon, Sean Mahan
RT: Eugene Monroe, Trai Essex

Something like that?

Hines
06-03-2008, 01:17 AM
I really like that offensive line.

Mr. Stiller
06-03-2008, 07:20 PM
I read that Shaun Cody might be released from the Lions. I would like him on the Steelers. He played in a **** hole in Detroit. Would cost a pretty penny, but is young and will provide great depth. Not saying we will and should sign him, but he could be pretty good for us. Could play both end and NT.

About Owens, I would like to keep him as a pass rushing end in our system.

Why would you keep a 2-gap run plugging NT as a pass rushing End in a 3-4?

Owens is Nothing of a passrusher, He's a squat physical force that can and only could play NT in a 3-4.

He doesn't have the passrushing skills or elite speed ot be a passrusher. He does possess the strength and technique to play NT.

Shaun Cody is a 3-4 DE only he couldn't handle NT.

Mr. Stiller
06-03-2008, 07:22 PM
So I'm assuming you want to move Willie inside to take over for Simmons? O-line in a year:

LT: Marvel Smith, Tony Hills
LG: Chris Kemoeatu, Kendall Simmons
C: Justin Hartwig, Darnell Stapleton
RG: Willie Colon, Sean Mahan
RT: Eugene Monroe, Trai Essex

Something like that?

Either or. after this season I'm assuming this:

LT: Marvel Smith -> Tony Hills
LG: Chris Kemoeatu -> Kendall Simmons(Cut after the following season)
C: Justin Hartwig -> Darnell Stapleton
RG: Eugene Monroe/Willie Colon -> Doug Legursky/Matt Lentz
RT: Eugene Monroe/Willie Colon -> Eric VandenHeuvel

Unbiased
06-04-2008, 12:18 AM
Why would you keep a 2-gap run plugging NT as a pass rushing End in a 3-4?

Owens is Nothing of a passrusher, He's a squat physical force that can and only could play NT in a 3-4.

He doesn't have the passrushing skills or elite speed ot be a passrusher. He does possess the strength and technique to play NT.

Shaun Cody is a 3-4 DE only he couldn't handle NT.

If that's the case, do you really want to spend a 1st rounder on a backup NT?

Unbiased
06-04-2008, 12:20 AM
Are you guys comfortable with Stapleton as the backup center? If not, maybe we should draft a mid round center like Antoine Caldwell.

CDub
06-04-2008, 06:06 PM
Just a thought:

I'm not sure what his contract situation is, or what Philly is expecting to get for him, but, what would you guys think of offering a 2nd rd pick for Lito Sheppard. I know CB is not a major concern for us this yr but he is only 26, a proven all-pro, and we do have some questions regarding next yr's CB's as far as contract/age issues. I'm thinkin Ike, Lito, Bryant, and Willie would be a nice set of CB's

Hines
06-04-2008, 06:09 PM
I would like that, but I doubt it happens. We dont have the cap room to sign him.

Anyways, there was a fight today in practice. Willie Colon got pissed that Lawrence Timmons put him on his ass and they fought a little bit. Also, Arnold Harrison and Trai Essex got in a little scruffle as well.

CDub
06-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Also, in response to unbiased:

With all of the positive feedback we keep getting from the coaching staff regarding Stapleton, I am very intrigued to see him this summer and get a better feel for what he can do after a yr of coaching at this level. If he is what they say he is, then I think that he'll be ready to take over for Hartwig next yr and could be another in our long storied history of great centers. But like I said, I'll have to see it to believe it first.

Mr. Stiller
06-05-2008, 12:55 AM
If that's the case, do you really want to spend a 1st rounder on a backup NT?

Yes because look at the NFL. 4 Great NT's. Only 1 wasn't a 1st rounder, Jamal Williams because he was a Supp Draft pick.

Ngata, Hampton and Wilfork.

Owens is a rare NT. He's a guy that could get to 320lbs and still be a threat to get after the QB. He's not much of a passrusher, but his power and motor would be killer.

I know NT's are hard to find. I don't mind Spending a 1st round pick because looking at the prospects he's definitely a BPA and he's a rare guy for NT. His Athleticism, strength and motor are off the charts. Sure it may be disappointing that he's not a starter his first year, but 2 things with that.

1) We get a 4-3 NT for Nickel/Dimes and ONE HELL OF A WEDGEBUSTER.
2) We get a kid that could potentially move Hoke to DE.
3) We get a future 10-12 year starter at NT.

Hampton has been letting his weight get the best of him and it's not looking good. He's still a tough player, but he tires out so fast. It's been reported that the last 2 TC's he came in at around 335-340. His best weight is 315-325. He hasn't been that weight since 2005. If Hampton continues to eat his way out of a position we need a NT sooner than Later. Owens is a perfect guy to groom.

Mr. Stiller
06-05-2008, 01:00 AM
Are you guys comfortable with Stapleton as the backup center? If not, maybe we should draft a mid round center like Antoine Caldwell.

I'm more than comfortable. This guy played 2 Preseason games and 2 weeks of practice before tearing his meniscus and was kept on the active roster so we wouldn't lose him. Since OTA's have started he's the 1st team RG, 2nd team C. The coaches obviously have a lot of faith in him, that they're starting him in place of the injured Simmons.

I don't think they take another Center. Don't overlook Darkhorse Doug Legursky. He could potentially be the C/RG of the future depending on Stapleton.

If we need a C/G next year there's only 1 guy I want Jeremy perry of Oregon. He reminds me so much of Dermontti Dawson coming out of UK. Same height, similar build great puller, was a G in college. With our current setup he could play RG/LG (Move Kemo to RG) or Play C. Outside of Perry and maybe Urbik at G the G class is fairly unexciting.

Hines
06-05-2008, 01:07 AM
An EARLY mock draft in which it is a blueprint:

1) Terrance Taylor DT Michigan/ Al Woods DT LSU
2) Eugune Monroe OT Virginia
3) Ziggy Hood DE Missouri
4) Tyronne Green G Auburn
5) Glove Quin CB UNLV

Just a little five round mock to start out. When the season comes, we will find out our needs more.

Mr. Stiller
06-05-2008, 01:15 AM
Just a little mock I threw together because I can't go to sleep. Biggest thing to look for here are the positions, not necessarily the players picked, as it is very early.

1. George Robinson, OG, Oklahoma
My take is to resign Smith before the season, let Starks go after the season, keep Willie at RT, and move Trai to RT as his backup. Duke challenges and eventually takes over for Simmons in 2009.

I think we have too much talent in the interior to go for an OG this early. I'll forgive Duke Robinson because frankly he has yet to do anything to show he's a 1st round OG. He doesn't have the consistent drive and dominance that he is capable of and has shown on rare occasion. If he gets in the zone, he's literally unmoveable. He doesn't seem to care. I think the DL is more of a concern considering the Age discrepency (Kirschke, Keisel, Hampton, Hoke and Keisel are all over 30). If your going Need, DL trumps OL. I also think OT is more of an issue.

Marvel, Trai, Willie Colonand Max have no contracts after 2008 season.
We have only Chris Kemoeatu not under contract after the 08 season... even then we have more than enough depth to make this a non issue for the most part.

2. Vince Oghobaase, DE, Duke
I was disappointed at first that DE wasn't addressed in the 2008 draft, but there wasn't really room for a DE after resigning Kirschke and Eason. Let Kirschke go after the season and draft Oghobaase, who is a great run-stuffer and will take Kiesel's job in a year.

I like DE here if not in round 1. I like Vince, but I have a feeling that he will be the DT That jumps because of his versatility and athleticism. Then again Oghobaase is only a Junior no indication he'll come out. Outside of that not a bad pick. Pannel Egboh from Stanford might be a guy to look at.

3. Antoine Caldwell, C, Alabama
I'm glad Mahan is done as our starting center. Hartwig is a good signing, but isn't great, and there isn't much depth behind him anyway. Caldwell is a tad underrated playing on the same line as Andre Smith, and he could earn the starting job a few years down the road.

Eh, Stapleton and Legursky are much better technicians than Caldwell. I'm not a fan of Caldwell. I don't think C will be a problem. I think Hartwig or Staplton will surprise.

4. Londen Fryar, CB, Western Michigan
Obviously, DeShea is getting older. He probably only has a couple years left in the NFL, and maybe only one for the Steelers. Anthony Madison probably shouldn't be in the NFL and is easily expendable. Fryar would start out as a dime back and give us a solid core with Ike, McFadden, and ***. DeAndre Wright is another guy I like, but as of now, he'd probably be gone by this pick.

I like Fryar but I think he's a top 100 player and won't be here. Morgan trent or Wopamo Osaisai are 2 guys that should depending on the seaosn (Love Osaisai).

5. Reshard Langford, SS, Vanderbilt
Mundy is best suited at FS along with Clark and Smith. Tyrone Carter has a nasty demeanor but the ability just isn't there. Langford becomes Troy's backup immediately.

Eh, I think a backup SS is a waste of a pick. Right now we have Smith, Mundy and Carter. I have a feeling Mundy makes the backup FS positino and Smith becomes the backup SS. even if Smith grabs the Starting FS position, Ryan Clark was a SS in Washington. I don't think this is a position we'll address. I don't see Carter making the roster THIS season let alone needing to be replaced next.

6. Chris Pressley, FB, Wisconsin
I don't like Carey Davis as the starter and feel he can fairly easily be upgraded and I don't see Latsko making this year's cut. In 2008, I liked Carl Stewart as a prospect and this year, I like Pressley. He was a huge reason for Wisconsin's great running game. P.J. Hill is a good back, but he also made Lance Smith and Zach Brown look like All Big 10 running backs.

If we take a FB I'd rather get a completely versatile guy like Brannan Southerland of Georgia. Arians wants a versatile Hback style FB. Pressley is an offshoot of Dan Kreider. Southerland is a receiver, runner and very very solid blocker who has been blocking for Moreno, Lumpkin and Brown. Though unless we trade down (which I'm never opposed to) I'd pick some other position. I'd rather get Fui Vakapuna of BYU or Rich Belton after the draft than pass up a player here like Tyrell Sales or a DE/NT depending on how the draft fell

7. Orion Martin, OLB, Virginia Tech
Tough to pin a legitimate need this late, but with Timmons moving inside, I don't like Frazier and Arnold as backups. Martin will probably be underdrafted due to his size, but would be a nice backup down the road, probably nothing more.

I like Martin, but I don't like VT as a 3-4 Front 7 prospects. Maybe their DT's. I think a guy to consider this late as a 3-4 OLB (though I thought it was a pretty high need to get 4 guys that can rush the passer pretty well) guys like Will Davis (Illinois), Aaron Lewis of Texas or Barry Turner of Nebraska.

blah blah 10

Mr. Stiller
06-05-2008, 01:19 AM
Just a thought:

I'm not sure what his contract situation is, or what Philly is expecting to get for him, but, what would you guys think of offering a 2nd rd pick for Lito Sheppard. I know CB is not a major concern for us this yr but he is only 26, a proven all-pro, and we do have some questions regarding next yr's CB's as far as contract/age issues. I'm thinkin Ike, Lito, Bryant, and Willie would be a nice set of CB's

I'd do it. An all-pro ready to step in his prime? The Pheagles might let us give a 2009 3rd and 2010 4th conditional 3rd or something since he's going out of the division.

as for the money, all it would take is a cut of Najeh Davenport and maybe 1 other mediocre player (Eason?) or 1-2 restructures.

Sheldon Brown is a solid corner, my concern is where does he fit in a zone offense. It's my understanding that the Philly defense is a blitz happy Man defense, which is why a lot of people felt that Asante Samuel may not be a great fit.

If LeBeau would actually run some man2man I'd definitely be willing to part with a 2nd or 3rd/3rd for Brown.

brat316
06-05-2008, 12:12 PM
I'd do it. An all-pro ready to step in his prime? The Pheagles might let us give a 2009 3rd and 2010 4th conditional 3rd or something since he's going out of the division.

as for the money, all it would take is a cut of Najeh Davenport and maybe 1 other mediocre player (Eason?) or 1-2 restructures.

Sheldon Brown is a solid corner, my concern is where does he fit in a zone offense. It's my understanding that the Philly defense is a blitz happy Man defense, which is why a lot of people felt that Asante Samuel may not be a great fit.

If LeBeau would actually run some man2man I'd definitely be willing to part with a 2nd or 3rd/3rd for Brown.

You mean Lito

Sheldon Brown would be pretty good for zone and man, his one of the more physical corners and can help play the run

I also think they would allow it for a condintonal 3 to 2nd round pick and another pick that same year. Not for a 3rd and then a conditional 4th in 2010 the year of no Cap.

They really want to get something good they are not afraid of keeping him. If he sits out thats good for them they get his pay back and fines.

Hines
06-05-2008, 12:15 PM
I just read that Kyle Clement is really impressing, but they would like to see what happens when hitting starts.

Hines
06-05-2008, 12:16 PM
Also, if we ever did get either Sheldon Brown or Lito Sheppard, I would be estactic, but it is very, very unlikely.

Jakey
06-05-2008, 01:31 PM
Where you getting these rook updates from Hines? Thanks my man.

Hines
06-05-2008, 01:35 PM
Doug Lolleys blog.

Mr. Stiller
06-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Doug Lolleys blog.

Dale Lolley....

Hines
06-05-2008, 04:56 PM
Doug, Dale, same thing pretty much.

terribletowel39
06-05-2008, 05:00 PM
Can someone PM a link?? When I google his name, it hasn't been updated since July 29th 2007.

Got any suggestions??

Mr. Stiller
06-05-2008, 11:12 PM
Can someone PM a link?? When I google his name, it hasn't been updated since July 29th 2007.

Got any suggestions??

He writes for SCI.

Unbiased
06-06-2008, 03:31 AM
blah blah 10

Going with my draft, that gives our line this:

LT-Marvel Smith, Tony Hills
LG-Chris Kemoeatu, Sean Mahan
C-Justin Hartwig, Darnell Stapleton, Antoine Caldwell
RG-Kendall Simmons, Duke Robinson
RT-Willie Colon, Trai Essex

If Stapleton is as good as they're saying, then Caldwell is a bad pick. Monroe would be a good O-line pick instead of Robinson,if you want to move Willie inside.

In about 3 years, it looks like this:

LT-Marvel Smith
LG-Chris Kemoeatu
C-Darnell Stapleton
RG-Duke Robinson
RT-Willie Colon

It would be a good idea to draft a 1st round LT in the next couple years. But that would be a great line.

brat316
06-06-2008, 08:09 AM
Going with my draft, that gives our line this:

LT-Marvel Smith, Tony Hills
LG-Chris Kemoeatu, Sean Mahan
C-Justin Hartwig, Darnell Stapleton, Antoine Caldwell
RG-Kendall Simmons, Duke Robinson
RT-Willie Colon, Trai Essex

If Stapleton is as good as they're saying, then Caldwell is a bad pick. Monroe would be a good O-line pick instead of Robinson,if you want to move Willie inside.

In about 3 years, it looks like this:

LT-Marvel Smith
LG-Chris Kemoeatu
C-Darnell Stapleton
RG-Duke Robinson
RT-Willie Colon

It would be a good idea to draft a 1st round LT in the next couple years. But that would be a great line.

How long do you expect Smith to be playing for the Steelers. I think he turns 30 this Augs. And if he were to play for three more years at 33 I don't think he stays. Just becuase of the surgery on his back.

SCSteeler
06-06-2008, 10:31 PM
yeah! no way Smith is playin in 3 years. Tony Hills is supposed to be good; and i still think we need to go either DL or CB with our 1st picks next year.

Unbiased
06-06-2008, 11:25 PM
How long do you expect Smith to be playing for the Steelers. I think he turns 30 this Augs. And if he were to play for three more years at 33 I don't think he stays. Just becuase of the surgery on his back.

If his back holds up, it's entirely possible.

Mr. Stiller
06-08-2008, 01:37 AM
If his back holds up, it's entirely possible.

Yeah, don't write off Marvel.

He was only drafted 8 years ago. Ogden - 96, Pace 98...

I don't even want to look up the years for Wayne Gandy and such.

Unbiased
06-08-2008, 04:19 PM
yeah! no way Smith is playin in 3 years. Tony Hills is supposed to be good; and i still think we need to go either DL or CB with our 1st picks next year.

I actually don't think CB is that big of a need. In 2008, the CB situation will look like this:

RCB: Ike Taylor
LCB: Deshea Townsend
Nickel: Bryant McFadden
Dime: William ***
5th CB: Anthony Madison

In 2009, it might look something like this:

LCB: Bryant McFadden
Nickel: Deshea Townsend

So, even in 2009, Townsend can still be a big part of the secondary. I'm fine with Taylor and McFadden as the starters and *** as the dime back. Yes, we will have to get a replacement for Townsend, but not until the 2010 draft, in my opinion, when we draft our nickle back in the 1st or 2nd round.

Unbiased
06-08-2008, 05:52 PM
Updated mock

1. Ciron Black, RT, 6'5" 312 lbs, LSU
2. Pannel Egboh, DE, 6'6" 280 lbs, Stanford
3. B.J. Raji, NT, 6'1" 325 lbs, Boston College
4. Will Davis, OLB, 6'3" 252 lbs, Illinois
5. Ramon Foster, OG, 6'6" 325 lbs, Tennessee
6. Conredge Collins, FB, 6'0" 233 lbs, Pittsburgh
7. Ell Ash, DE, 6'5" 293 lbs, Houston

Updated mock

2009 depth chart:

QB: Ben Roethlisberger ~ Charlie Batch ~ Dennis Dixon
RB: Willie Parker ~ Rashard Mendenhall ~ Mewelde Moore ~ Gary Russell
FB: Carey Davis ~ Conredge Collins
WR: Santonio Holmes ~ Hines Ward ~ Limas Sweed ~ Nate Washington ~ Dallas Baker
TE: Heath Miller ~ Matt Spaeth ~ Cody Boyd
LT: Marvel Smith ~ Trai Essex
LG: Chris Kemoeatu ~ Ramon Foster
C: Justin Hartwig ~ Darnell Stapleton
RG: Willie Colon ~ Kendall Simmons
RT: Ciron Black ~ Tony Hills

DE: Aaron Smith ~ Nick Eason
DE: Brett Kiesel ~ Pannel Egboh
NT: Casey Hampton ~ Chris Hoke ~ B.J. Raji
LOLB: LaMarr Woodley ~ Bruce Davis
ILB: James Farrior ~ Mike Humpal
ILB: Lawrence Timmons ~ Larry Foote
ROLB: James Harrison ~ Will Davis
CB: Ike Taylor ~ Bryant McFadden ~ Deshea Townsend ~ William *** ~ Anthony Madison
FS: Ryan Clark ~ Ryan Mundy
SS: Troy Polamalu ~ Anthony Smith

K: Jeff Reed
P: Daniel Sepulveda
KR: Mewelde Moore
PR: Mewelde Moore

Mr. Stiller
06-09-2008, 04:06 AM
Updated mock

Updated mock

2009 depth chart:

QB: Ben Roethlisberger ~ Charlie Batch ~ Dennis Dixon
RB: Willie Parker ~ Rashard Mendenhall ~ Mewelde Moore ~ Gary Russell
FB: Carey Davis ~ Conredge Collins
WR: Santonio Holmes ~ Hines Ward ~ Limas Sweed ~ Nate Washington ~ Dallas Baker
TE: Heath Miller ~ Matt Spaeth ~ Cody Boyd
LT: Marvel Smith ~ Trai Essex
LG: Chris Kemoeatu ~ Ramon Foster
C: Justin Hartwig ~ Darnell Stapleton
RG: Willie Colon ~ Kendall Simmons
RT: Ciron Black ~ Tony Hills

DE: Aaron Smith ~ Nick Eason
DE: Brett Kiesel ~ Pannel Egboh
NT: Casey Hampton ~ Chris Hoke ~ B.J. Raji
LOLB: LaMarr Woodley ~ Bruce Davis
ILB: James Farrior ~ Mike Humpal
ILB: Lawrence Timmons ~ Larry Foote
ROLB: James Harrison ~ Will Davis
CB: Ike Taylor ~ Bryant McFadden ~ Deshea Townsend ~ William *** ~ Anthony Madison
FS: Ryan Clark ~ Ryan Mundy
SS: Troy Polamalu ~ Anthony Smith

K: Jeff Reed
P: Daniel Sepulveda
KR: Mewelde Moore
PR: Mewelde Moore

Not a bad draft. I'd change some names. Ciron is a LT. He's not a mauling RT, he'd probably be a minor upgrade over Colon at RT.

He's a pure LT.

SCSteeler
06-10-2008, 03:02 AM
I actually don't think CB is that big of a need. In 2008, the CB situation will look like this:

LCB: Deshea Townsend
Nickel: Bryant McFadden

In 2009, it might look something like this:

LCB: Bryant McFadden
Nickel: Deshea Townsend

So, even in 2009, Townsend can still be a big part of the secondary. I'm fine with Taylor and McFadden as the starters and *** as the dime back. Yes, we will have to get a replacement for Townsend, but not until the 2010 draft, in my opinion, when we draft our nickle back in the 1st or 2nd round.

Well put! that does make me feel better! i just get scared cause Ike seems to be inconsistent at times, and Macfadden is still unproven as a starter?
I do love Deshea, though and I think you're right; he could stay on the depth chart for a few more years! I miss Carnell Lake.

brat316
06-10-2008, 01:45 PM
We will draft a corner next year if McFadden doesn't sign or shows that he is not worth it. Being a contract year he could end up playing really good and then go back to being average/good what he is right now.

DeShea will be turning 33 this year and for a 32 year old corner he is doing pretty good. But sooner or later his age will catch up to him next year if he is still hear he'll be 34, then again Ty Law played untill 34(He turned 34 in Feb).

steelernation77
06-11-2008, 11:39 AM
A few articles I found interesting:

Timmons seems poised to oust Foote at inside LB

"My time might be winding down at that position. It's just a matter of when the coaches throw him in there." -- Larry Foote"

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08163/888894-66.stm

Dizzying week doesn't deter Steelers QB Dixon

"Dixon throws the ball good. He's poised in the backfield. He's just got to work on that quarterback-center exchange. He was probably in the shotgun all the time, so it's kind of tough for him," safety Tyrone Carter said of Dixon's early ball-handling mishaps with the Steelers. "But he's got a good arm; his confidence is up there. He isn't rushing, no happy feet. I think we got a steal with him. I love the way he throws the ball."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_571850.html

Strongside
06-11-2008, 02:48 PM
That's great news about Timmons. I hoped he would beat out Foote but I didn't think he would.

terribletowel39
06-11-2008, 02:56 PM
That's great news about Timmons. I hoped he would beat out Foote but I didn't think he would.
He won't. Don't worry.

brat316
06-11-2008, 03:02 PM
He won't. Don't worry.

Yeah I don't think Timmons beats out Foote, though I expect him to be getting more in game reps at Mack, and then eventually move over to Buck. Only reason I think he is not getting the Buck position is because of the play calling. Like the article said he might be better suited for Buck. And Farrior is about going into his last year. I think they want Timmons out there to learn the system and stuff and when Farrior leaves Timmons bumps over and Foote it out there with him.

Or

They just want to athletic inside Linebackers. Either way Foote keeps the job untill the end of the season or and injury occurs.

Mr. Stiller
06-11-2008, 11:27 PM
He won't. Don't worry.

I would be completely surprised if Timmons isn't the starting Mack come season start.

Unbiased
06-12-2008, 10:21 AM
A few articles I found interesting:

Timmons seems poised to oust Foote at inside LB

"My time might be winding down at that position. It's just a matter of when the coaches throw him in there." -- Larry Foote"

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08163/888894-66.stm

Dizzying week doesn't deter Steelers QB Dixon

"Dixon throws the ball good. He's poised in the backfield. He's just got to work on that quarterback-center exchange. He was probably in the shotgun all the time, so it's kind of tough for him," safety Tyrone Carter said of Dixon's early ball-handling mishaps with the Steelers. "But he's got a good arm; his confidence is up there. He isn't rushing, no happy feet. I think we got a steal with him. I love the way he throws the ball."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_571850.html

Good first article, but Mendenhall will probably end that streak.

terribletowel39
06-12-2008, 10:55 AM
I would be completely surprised if Timmons isn't the starting Mack come season start.
Prepare to be mesmerized then. He WILL hold him off.

Hines
06-12-2008, 11:38 AM
Prepare to be mesmerized then. He WILL hold him off.

But not for long.

terribletowel39
06-12-2008, 12:57 PM
But not for long.
Yea you are probably right. Although it will be unwarranted. I'd also be willing to bet it will be another year before he is even as good or better than Foote is currently. OMG he is fast though!!!! Well unless he takes Farriors spot on 3rd downs then he won't even be on the field to take advantage of his speed.

steelernation77
06-12-2008, 03:10 PM
I especially liked this news about Kyle Clement in Lolley's blog today

"I mentioned last week that defensive lineman Kyle Clement, an undrafted rookie from Northwood, has been working with the second unit. Wednesday, Clement was getting extra attention from Aaron Smith after practice, as Smith worked with the 6-3, 315-pounder on his hand placement and coming out of his stance.

Clement is definitely somebody to keep an eye on at camp."

Sounds like we could've gotten a steal.

terribletowel39
06-12-2008, 03:30 PM
Dammit, guys. I only check this site at work. And yall keep teasing me with the Lolley's blog thingy. I can't get to the website at work. It blocks it. Someone help me out.

Mr. Stiller
06-12-2008, 07:30 PM
Yea you are probably right. Although it will be unwarranted. I'd also be willing to bet it will be another year before he is even as good or better than Foote is currently. OMG he is fast though!!!! Well unless he takes Farriors spot on 3rd downs then he won't even be on the field to take advantage of his speed.

Foote is a 2 down player. They're utilizing plays to have Farrior and Timmons as the Nickel LB's.

I don't think that. I think Timmons is a more explosive force than Foote ever was. Foote was a reliable SLB at Michigan. Timmons was an explosive WLB.

When Timmons takes the spot it won't be unwarranted, it'll be because he brings more to the table.

Hines
06-13-2008, 12:16 AM
Holmes will return punts this season and Mendenhall might get a lot of carries plus return kicks. Nice.

brat316
06-13-2008, 12:26 AM
Holmes will return punts this season and Mendenhall might get a lot of carries plus return kicks. Nice.

What the hell Mendenhall return kicks...????

Holmes did punts his rookie year, I guess they are at that point where they just kind of have to put him in there. You do risk though him getting injured.

terribletowel39
06-13-2008, 10:16 AM
Foote is a 2 down player. They're utilizing plays to have Farrior and Timmons as the Nickel LB's.

I don't think that. I think Timmons is a more explosive force than Foote ever was. Foote was a reliable SLB at Michigan. Timmons was an explosive WLB.

When Timmons takes the spot it won't be unwarranted, it'll be because he brings more to the table.Who cares if he is explosive?? Foote does his job very well and hardly ever makes mistakes. Would you take Chris Johnson over Marion Barber just because CJ is more explosive?? FOOTE IS THE MAN!!!! He's my man crush. It will be unwarranted.
What the hell Mendenhall return kicks...????

Holmes did punts his rookie year, I guess they are at that point where they just kind of have to put him in there. You do risk though him getting injured.
And don't think I like the sound of Holmes returning punts. Does everyone remember the insane amount of muffs and fumbles he had?? Granted it could have been nerves but still, thats not comforting.

steelernation77
06-13-2008, 11:45 AM

Where are you getting this information from? I read the article in the trib about Holmes wanting to return punts but I don't see it happening. He's too important to our offense to risk getting injured. We signed Mewelde Moore in the offseason with the expectation that he'd return punts. He's a solid punt returner and isn't as big of a loss if he goes down to injury. I expect Moore to be returning punts this year, no matter what Holmes says.

As for the Mendenhall stuff, I hadn't heard about it but I don't especially hate it. I think that if Mendenhall establishes himself as a good back, it'd be cool to see if Parker could return some kicks, although I don't see it happening.

Hines
06-13-2008, 12:19 PM
Where are you getting this information from? I read the article in the trib about Holmes wanting to return punts but I don't see it happening. He's too important to our offense to risk getting injured. We signed Mewelde Moore in the offseason with the expectation that he'd return punts. He's a solid punt returner and isn't as big of a loss if he goes down to injury. I expect Moore to be returning punts this year, no matter what Holmes says.

As for the Mendenhall stuff, I hadn't heard about it but I don't especially hate it. I think that if Mendenhall establishes himself as a good back, it'd be cool to see if Parker could return some kicks, although I don't see it happening.

I got it from the Trib and the Gazette.

Smooth Criminal
06-13-2008, 08:56 PM
Foote is an average player in our defense. He does his job pretty well and thats about it. Timmons gives us a weapon in the middle of our defense. He has the ability to make huge plays, something Foote simply doesn't. Timmons has the physical tools to be a dominant linebacker and when he's ready to play, which should be week 1, he'll be the starter next to Farrior.

Mr. Stiller
06-16-2008, 02:25 AM
Who cares if he is explosive?? Foote does his job very well and hardly ever makes mistakes. Would you take Chris Johnson over Marion Barber just because CJ is more explosive?? FOOTE IS THE MAN!!!! He's my man crush. It will be unwarranted.

And don't think I like the sound of Holmes returning punts. Does everyone remember the insane amount of muffs and fumbles he had?? Granted it could have been nerves but still, thats not comforting.

And should I sit Randy Moss because Hines Ward is "very good and hardly ever makes mistakes"?

If Timmons is the better player I play him. From what I hear, he is. More versatile, dynamic, explosive and instinctive.

skarocksoi
06-17-2008, 11:33 AM
It's ok TT, I understand your man crush on Foote. But sometimes, you just have to let go and embrace something new. If you are lucky, maybe you will be able to bid on Foote to come to your house like Greg Lloyd.

DeathbyStat
06-25-2008, 06:39 PM
Cool video about troy's training

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d808feae0

mikehop05
06-26-2008, 12:50 PM
that is some really interesting stuff

a lot of the workouts look so unorthodox that it looks like you have a easier chance getting injured doing the workout than anywhere else though lol

Strongside
06-26-2008, 12:59 PM
That looks really cool, I'd like to try that work out. But I would fail miserably and fall all over the place...

Whenever Polamalu speaks it surprises me how soft his voice is.

Strongside
06-27-2008, 03:40 PM
Steelers are trying to unload Davenport

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80909e83&template=without-video&confirm=true

This is a good sign because it looks like Mendenhall and Russell are looking good. Think we could get anything for him?

Hines
06-27-2008, 04:00 PM

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80909e83&template=without-video&confirm=true

This is a good sign because it looks like Mendenhall and Russell are looking good. Think we could get anything for him?

A team with a questionable running back situation would be greatly appreciative for Davenport. While he is not bad, he wont start or take that many carries away. I could see Chicago look at him for a 3rd down back. Possibly could get a 4th or 5th round draft pick.

Strongside
06-27-2008, 04:16 PM
A team with a questionable running back situation would be greatly appreciative for Davenport. While he is not bad, he wont start or take that many carries away. I could see Chicago look at him for a 3rd down back. Possibly could get a 4th or 5th round draft pick.

That sounds about right. I think Chicago, Houston and Detroit could all benefit him. He might even start in Detroit.

Hines
06-27-2008, 04:26 PM
That sounds about right. I think Chicago, Houston and Detroit could all benefit him. He might even start in Detroit.

I think Houston is content with their running backs. They are very high on Chris Taylor, and they have Steve Slaton who is perfect for the scheme they will be running. Lions could pick him up and share caries with Smith, but I doubt it.

Hines
06-27-2008, 05:16 PM
Well forget about trading him, we released him. I like the move, he didnt belong.

mikehop05
06-27-2008, 06:12 PM
i think everyone saw this move coming

cya dookie

SCSteeler
06-27-2008, 09:17 PM
I think this is a great move! I do like Davenport, but releasing him means the coaches must see something in the guys we have! cause Davenport was a good rb.

Hines
06-28-2008, 08:08 AM
IMO, I think this could open up some cap room to go after LeCharles Bentley. He wants to play guard and it wouldnt hurt to have him as an insurance policy if Kemo doesnt live up to expectations. He wont get big bucks, but I think he could come here. It will all be on his physical though.

DeathbyStat
06-28-2008, 12:34 PM

This is great news

steelernation77
06-29-2008, 11:43 AM
Davenport, Lorello, Retkofsky, and Legursky all released.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08181/893489-66.stm

I like this part

"There is another reason Davenport was released: The Steelers did not want to part with Gary Russell, a second-year free agent whom the coaches think can develop into a top-notch NFL running back."

DeathbyStat
06-29-2008, 12:23 PM
I read in the tribune review today...sorry I don't have a link....but the steelers were at one of Kevin Jones's workouts in Michigan.

DeathbyStat
06-29-2008, 01:29 PM
I read in the tribune review today...sorry I don't have a link....but the steelers were at one of Kevin Jones's workouts in Michigan.

Wait I found a link http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3465537

I still can't see us picking him up though

Unbiased
06-29-2008, 02:42 PM
Me either. I think we're set with Parker, Mendenhall, Russell, and Moore.

Hines
06-29-2008, 03:56 PM
Maybe we arent sold on Davis and we are eliminating the fullback completely. I would sign him if it was for cheap, very cheap and have him healthy. I would also sign Bentley for cheap too.

terribletowel39
07-08-2008, 10:01 AM
Not sure if this is big, how this will effect the orginization, really anything but I figured it was worth letting everyone know.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/25575916

SCSteeler
07-08-2008, 10:20 PM
it's not that big of a deal. a lot of papers are calling it, " an ownership in TURMOIL!". for the shock value. but the Rooneys are smart people, and whatever they decide, i'm cool with!

is Drunkenmiller Irish?

Hines
07-08-2008, 11:58 PM
We signed Bruce Davis according to Scout.

Hines
07-10-2008, 10:36 PM
A part of me wants to sign Kevin Jones and release Carey Davis.

Santonio10
07-11-2008, 02:03 PM
I don't think we'll get Kevin Jones bc were already pretty set at RB as of now unless someone gets hurt for the year. Parker, Mendenhall, Moore and Russell sounds good to me. Plus Jones would be asking for a lot of money and he's not a need so I don't see us signing him.

mikehop05
07-11-2008, 11:17 PM
A part of me wants to sign Kevin Jones and release Carey Davis.

that would be the stupid part, right?

Hines
07-12-2008, 10:59 AM

that would be the stupid part, right?

How exactly is it stupid? I read the Steelers might think Willie isnt 100%. If he isnt, Jones would be a good pick up as an expierenced runner on our team. We dont use Davis anyways, so there is no point in him being on the team.

steelernation77
07-12-2008, 02:32 PM
How exactly is it stupid? I read the Steelers might think Willie isnt 100%. If he isnt, Jones would be a good pick up as an expierenced runner on our team. We dont use Davis anyways, so there is no point in him being on the team.

Even without Medenhall, Moore is a competent backup. Plus the coaching staff is high on Russell, who supposedly is having a good offseason. It'd be pointless to add yet another HB when we already have 4 quality ones. It'd be even worse to get rid of the only FB with playing experience on the roster.

Hines
07-12-2008, 07:29 PM
Even without Medenhall, Moore is a competent backup. Plus the coaching staff is high on Russell, who supposedly is having a good offseason. It'd be pointless to add yet another HB when we already have 4 quality ones. It'd be even worse to get rid of the only FB with playing experience on the roster.

But will any of those be able to carry the load? I am not saying break the bank and sign the guy, but a little part of me wants us to sign this guy. Not saying its going to happen, but I wouldnt cry or ***** if it does happen. Davis isnt exactly a fullback, but we hardly use him anyways. At third and short or the goaline, we can always move Heath or Spaeth in and block for the running back.

steelernation77
07-12-2008, 09:43 PM
But will any of those be able to carry the load? I am not saying break the bank and sign the guy, but a little part of me wants us to sign this guy. Not saying its going to happen, but I wouldnt cry or ***** if it does happen. Davis isnt exactly a fullback, but we hardly use him anyways. At third and short or the goaline, we can always move Heath or Spaeth in and block for the running back.

Davis is a fullback, and you can't assume that a TE would be able to lead block as well as a FB, not to mention that Spaeth and Miller are supposed to be red zone targets.

I think Mendenhall should be able to carry the load, especially if he's getting breathers from Moore.

Smooth Criminal
07-13-2008, 03:40 PM
I have more faith in all 4 our our backs than I would in Kevin Jones. Willie, Mendenhall, Moore, and Russell are all more than capable and more talented than Jones.

Hines
07-13-2008, 03:51 PM
Like I said, I am happy with either us signing him, or with us not signing him. I kind of want us too, but if we dont, I am whatever. The board has been dead for a while, TC is almost here, I am excited.

Unbiased
07-13-2008, 04:07 PM
I have more faith in all 4 our our backs than I would in Kevin Jones. Willie, Mendenhall, Moore, and Russell are all more than capable and more talented than Jones.

I agree with your main point, however I assure you, sir, that talent is certainly not the issue with Kevin Jones. He is more talented than Mendenhall, Moore, and Russell, and possibly Parker. However signing him under the circumstances would make no sense what so ever.

Hines
07-14-2008, 10:18 AM
After reading this, I hope Donovan Woods makes the team.

http://pit.scout.com/2/769099.html

I would rather have Woods then Arnold Harrison and Andre Frazier.

DeathbyStat
07-14-2008, 11:07 AM
After reading this, I hope Donovan Woods makes the team.

http://pit.scout.com/2/769099.html

I would rather have Woods then Arnold Harrison and Andre Frazier.

I guess none of these guys including woods has really done anything in the league.

I sure Harrison and Frazier have some type of value on special teams

Mr. Goosemahn
07-15-2008, 02:53 PM
Bears have signed RB Kevin Jones.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8094fb92&template=with-video&confirm=true

mikehop05
07-15-2008, 07:26 PM
Bears have signed RB Kevin Jones.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8094fb92&template=with-video&confirm=true

glad it wasnt us

Hines
07-15-2008, 10:18 PM
It was the ideal situation for him, glad he took advantage of it.

Strongside
07-16-2008, 12:53 AM
The fact that we were interested in him kind of worries me... I hope Parker really is 100%.

That's an awesome sig Hines

Hines
07-16-2008, 10:00 AM
The fact that we were interested in him kind of worries me... I hope Parker really is 100%.

I wouldnt really read much into it, as Tomlin and Willie said he will be ready for TC. With the less work load, I can see him not getting many touches during practice and pre season.

Thanks =)

Unbiased
07-16-2008, 09:45 PM

The Steelers weren't interested in him. Our scout who saw him was just in the area and decided to watch.

Hines
07-17-2008, 12:00 AM
If we are interested in any players, it should be LeCharles Bentley.

Smooth Criminal
07-18-2008, 03:12 PM
Another guy we should be looking at is Melvin Oliver. DE that just got let go from San Fran. If we claimed him on waivers he wouldn't effect the cap because his salary would be so low. I think its worth a look seeing as he has started in San Fran and could easily compete with Eason and Kirschke for a roster spot.

Hines
07-18-2008, 04:08 PM
Expect Limas to be signed by Monday or Tuesday according to a source. He wants to be in camp by day 1 to become the 3rd reciever. Also I read that coaches are really high on Stapleton and he has a chance to become the starting center, and that the team is really high on Kemoeatu as he as impressed. Also, the coaches are high on Kyle Clement and I also read they were impressed with UDFA CB/RS Travis Williams.

Smooth Criminal
07-19-2008, 09:26 AM
They have been saying good things about Stapleton since the day he became a Steeler. Itd be nice to see him get the start. Hartwig would be good depth and Mahan would be gone. Sounds like a great scenario.

Now If we can start Starks at RT and move Colon to start at guard with Kemo and get Simmons out of the starting lineup.

Hines
07-19-2008, 09:59 AM
They have been saying good things about Stapleton since the day he became a Steeler. Itd be nice to see him get the start. Hartwig would be good depth and Mahan would be gone. Sounds like a great scenario.

Now If we can start Starks at RT and move Colon to start at guard with Kemo and get Simmons out of the starting lineup.

I would keep Mahan and have him back up both guard spots. Mostly LG, but if Simmons goes down, I would move Colon to RG and have Starks play RT.

SCSteeler
07-19-2008, 12:00 PM
I still think our OL is not that much of a concern. We have a lot of capable players fight'n for a spot.
The areas that scare me are our DL and CB's.
Kyle Clement sounds like he might take some worry away, but after Ike and Deshea our CB's are unproven!

Hines
07-19-2008, 12:26 PM
I think Clement and McBean will be fine. Also, we have B Mac and *** as our 3rd and 4th recievers. Could use another sure fire dlineman and a stud, shutdown corner, but we are fine for now.

Smooth Criminal
07-19-2008, 05:12 PM
McFadden and *** are more than capable as 3rd and 4th corners. Townsend and Ike are above average starters. Its next year when we let go of McFadden and Townsend gets another year older that I'm worried about. I cant see Townsend starting another 2 years for us and keeping his game up.

Right now I would love to see a first round CB, DE, or LT added in the draft. Though we all know that could change.

Hines
07-21-2008, 04:34 PM
Word is that talks between BMac and the Steelers have begun, along with Marvel, who has been offered a 3 year extension. I could see them being signed before the start of training camp/season. I hope we sign BMac to a 3-5 year contract as I believe he could be a great starter in this league. Rumors surrounding Limas is that he will sign in the next day or so, and Mendy will be signed by the start of camp. I like this a lot. The next set of business is to sign Max long term, but not with the 7 million he is making, reconstruct it and have him make around 3 million IMO.

Smooth Criminal
07-21-2008, 05:01 PM
I'd like to see Marvel, McFadden, and Farrior all get new deals before the season starts.

I think we should try to get a deal done with Max aswell but the negotiations start at 7million. Thats what he has guarenteed now so hes not gonna sign a deal that has him getting less than 7 guarenteed.

DeathbyStat
07-22-2008, 04:34 PM
I'd like to see Marvel, McFadden, and Farrior all get new deals before the season starts.

I think we should try to get a deal done with Max aswell but the negotiations start at 7million. Thats what he has guarenteed now so hes not gonna sign a deal that has him getting less than 7 guarenteed.

I don't know, I really don't think Farrior will get a new deal.

I think Harrison and Timmons will eventually move to the inside and Woodley and perhaps Bruce Davis will play the outside spots....or a player that we pick up in next years draft.

Mr. Goosemahn
07-23-2008, 06:15 PM
Anybody think Archuleta could be a good pickup for a low salary? In case we still struggle with safeties?

Hines
07-23-2008, 07:27 PM
Ew, I would rather have Tyrone " I cant tackle a slow quarterback and get juked on a ****** ass juke" Carter then have Archuleta.

DeathbyStat
07-24-2008, 09:33 AM
Anybody think Archuleta could be a good pickup for a low salary? In case we still struggle with safeties?

Can't cover and is old...no thanks...unless he is willing to play special teams which i doubt he would,

Mr. Goosemahn
07-24-2008, 11:19 PM
Matt Trannon was released. Bummer, I thought he would've been good depth, but then again we're loaded at WR.

http://news.steelers.com/article/91996/

Unbiased
07-24-2008, 11:28 PM
Releasing Trannon is a smart move and no surprise.

Hines
07-25-2008, 02:10 PM
Steelers have approached both McFadden and Marvel on contract extentions. I hope we get them done, along with Farrior. I think Farrior would be a beast backup linebacker and could help out Timmons a whole bunch.

terribletowel39
07-25-2008, 02:12 PM
Don't know if any of you have seen but there is a thread up. Both Sweed and Mendenhall got signed today.

Hines
07-25-2008, 02:13 PM
Hell, anyone here like to have Kennan McCardell for a reciever? I know he is old and we are loaded, but if Baker isnt ready yet, McCardell could be a solid pickup. I am not saying sign him, but something to think about as he could get a ring here.

Smooth Criminal
07-25-2008, 10:30 PM
Not a chance. Baker is going to be our #5 receiver. No need to sign a vet for that. Our receiving core is as strong as its been in a long time. No need to spend money to add an aging guy that I dont think would even have a shot at making the team. Just

Hines
07-25-2008, 11:37 PM
In a silent move, Ike Taylor restructured his contract. His base salary now is 3 million per year apposed to the 4.1 he originally signed. I hope this opens up cap room to sign Smith or BMac long term or to sign the rookies. I applaud Mr. Taylor for this move.

SCSteeler
07-26-2008, 01:13 AM
In a silent move, Ike Taylor restructured his contract. His base salary now is 3 million per year apposed to the 4.1 he originally signed. I hope this opens up cap room to sign Smith or BMac long term or to sign the rookies. I applaud Mr. Taylor for this move.

Where did you get this from? That's sick if it's true! Ike sounds like a real STEELER making that deal! He must love playing for Tomlin, over Cowher?

...and who says where gonna sign McFadden? Please let it be true! With out him, we'd be in trouble. Plus...we don't need a pissed off player this year(ala Feneca!), especially in the secondary! If we can lock down McFadden, I'd feel better about our CB's!

...AND... some reports I've been reading(SN) say that Limas Sweed couldn't catch SQUAT before he hurt his wrist, and SOME(Lindy's) say he could catch anything!

Who's right? As usual, I'm turning to you guys, The Gurus, for the right answer? Can Limas Sweed catch, or not?

SCSteeler
07-26-2008, 01:48 AM
I still don't know how to add a SIG!
I've got the clip of Lavar Arrington leapin over the OL and crushing the RB, and I want it as my SIG, but I don't know how to put it up?
I know I don't have 500 posts, but someone please help me! I need to compete with the Ric Flairs' out there!

Hines
07-26-2008, 01:54 AM
Where did you get this from? That's sick if it's true! Ike sounds like a real STEELER making that deal! He must love playing for Tomlin, over Cowher?

...and who says where gonna sign McFadden? Please let it be true! With out him, we'd be in trouble. Plus...we don't need a pissed off player this year(ala Feneca!), especially in the secondary! If we can lock down McFadden, I'd feel better about our CB's!

...AND... some reports I've been reading(SN) say that Limas Sweed couldn't catch SQUAT before he hurt his wrist, and SOME(Lindy's) say he could catch anything!

Who's right? As usual, I'm turning to you guys, The Gurus, for the right answer? Can Limas Sweed catch, or not?

1) The trib says he redid his contract.

2) A blog said that they are approaching BMac and Marvel for contracts.

3) Just watch the highlights on youtube, he can flat out play and catch. Will be like Plex hopefully and take over games. I am excited to see him in action this season.

Strongside
07-26-2008, 02:03 AM
I still don't know how to add a SIG!
I've got the clip of Lavar Arrington leapin over the OL and crushing the RB, and I want it as my SIG, but I don't know how to put it up?
I know I don't have 500 posts, but someone please help me! I need to compete with the Ric Flairs' out there!

Upload the image to imageshack.us or something similiar and copy the direct link. Go to User CP, click edit Sig, and put the link in

Smooth Criminal
07-26-2008, 12:04 PM
Ike restructuring means that they will have another move to make by camp. With all the rookies deals done theres no other reason to restructure at this point cause theres no one left to sign.

Hopefully this points to an extension for Bmac, Smith, or Farrior. Not typical Steelers to resign Farrior but I really want them too.

Unbiased
07-28-2008, 01:40 PM
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2008/07/initial-thoughts.html

Upon hearing this, the move to cut loose Anthony Smith is gaining momentum.

CDub
07-28-2008, 03:16 PM
I thought that Ike restructured his deal in order to create enuff room to sign Mendenhall and Sweed - pretty sure I heard that on whatever the ESPN radio afternoon show is.

skarocksoi
07-28-2008, 05:29 PM
Alright, I'm back and ready to rock now that training camp is under way. I'm pumped for football season to start. I can't wait to see how this offense does and how the new guys on D manage.

All I gotta say is

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Anyways, is anybody going to training camp this year, and if so, please give us all the juicy details. I don't have NFL network anymore so I don't get the all access info that I used to.

CDub
07-28-2008, 05:33 PM
I really like the article that Dale Lolley just put up on his blog about Lamarr Woodley.

mikehop05
07-28-2008, 09:49 PM
i cant wait to have that harrison woodley combo

makes me giddy

Mr. Stiller
08-01-2008, 12:38 AM
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2008/07/initial-thoughts.html

Upon hearing this, the move to cut loose Anthony Smith is gaining momentum.

Eh.

Last Year I heard our defense lost it's emotion and Swagger. Smith is basically the Joey Porter of FS's and he almost guarantee's 2 wins against the bengals every year.

No reason to cut him.

Though.. Until he proves he can beat out Ryan Clark...

FS: Ryan Clark -> Ryan Mundy
SS: Troy P. -> Anthony Smith
3rd S: AnSmith.

SCSteeler
08-01-2008, 10:28 PM
Eh.

Last Year I heard our defense lost it's emotion and Swagger. Smith is basically the Joey Porter of FS's and he almost guarantee's 2 wins against the bengals every year.

No reason to cut him.

I agree; I keep hearing good things about Mundy, and he's a hometown kid!

Unbiased
08-02-2008, 12:08 AM
Eh.

No reason to cut him.

Joey Porter could play his position.

duckseason
08-05-2008, 06:58 PM
An article on Dixon for those who haven't see it yet. (http://pit.scout.com/2/775618.html)

Mr. Stiller
08-06-2008, 01:57 AM
Joey Porter could play his position.

Rewatch the Jaguars game and Tell Me Smith didn't put us in a position to win (Reg season).

Smith got a bunch of **** for the "Guarantee"

Rewatch the play, Ike Taylor quit covering Moss. Smith was playing a short zone. He then read the play. Almost broke it up too.

Smith got a lot of undo **** last year.

Which irritates me. His performance (Supposedly) Dropped about the same time Clark Haggans disappeared, Aaron Smith Got Injured, etc.

Smith was just the scapegoat. Like Ike taylor was in 06.

Joey Porter couldn't play 3-4 OLB. Joey Porter could play 4-3 SLB. Joey Porter couldn't rush the passer. Joey Porter COULD talk **** and blitz, coming unscathed.

Double Standards

Unbiased
08-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Rewatch the Jaguars game and Tell Me Smith didn't put us in a position to win (Reg season).

Smith got a bunch of **** for the "Guarantee"

Rewatch the play, Ike Taylor quit covering Moss. Smith was playing a short zone. He then read the play. Almost broke it up too.

Smith got a lot of undo **** last year.

Which irritates me. His performance (Supposedly) Dropped about the same time Clark Haggans disappeared, Aaron Smith Got Injured, etc.

Smith was just the scapegoat. Like Ike taylor was in 06.

Joey Porter couldn't play 3-4 OLB. Joey Porter could play 4-3 SLB. Joey Porter couldn't rush the passer. Joey Porter COULD talk **** and blitz, coming unscathed.

Double Standards

It wasn't even a guarantee in my opinion, at which I assume you were hinting. I don't fault him at that. We obviously all know his passion for the game is unquestionable.

To claim Porter couldn't rush the passer is questionable at best. He averaged over 8 sacks per season while with the Steelers this decade, as the starting LB every one of those years.

Smith is talking trash when he was thrown into the lineup due to injuries, as if he had earned that spot. He made some noise with his mouth, failed to produce adequately on the field, and is now back to being a backup.

I am completely fine with keeping Smith to backup Polamalu. However, Clark's health issues still linger, and it would be wise to upgrade at the FS position.

Unless of course Ryan Mundy turns out to be a 6th round steal.

Mr. Stiller
08-06-2008, 12:40 PM
It wasn't even a guarantee in my opinion, at which I assume you were hinting. I don't fault him at that. We obviously all know his passion for the game is unquestionable.

To claim Porter couldn't rush the passer is questionable at best. He averaged over 8 sacks per season while with the Steelers this decade, as the starting LB every one of those years.

Smith is talking trash when he was thrown into the lineup due to injuries, as if he had earned that spot. He made some noise with his mouth, failed to produce adequately on the field, and is now back to being a backup.

I am completely fine with keeping Smith to backup Polamalu. However, Clark's health issues still linger, and it would be wise to upgrade at the FS position.

Unless of course Ryan Mundy turns out to be a 6th round steal.

Anthony Smith was also thrust into the limelight as a second year player.

Didn't Porter have 3-4 Years before he was a starter?

Mr. Stiller
08-06-2008, 12:42 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0808/nfl.steelers.camp/images/076390190.jpg

Harrison is a BAD BAD MAN

http://media3.steelers.com/MediaContent/2008/08/05/08/0804_TCdh_parker_timmons_92786.jpg

Timmons can cover the fastest guy on the team.. almost.

skarocksoi
08-06-2008, 02:07 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0808/nfl.steelers.camp/images/076390190.jpg

Harrison is a BAD BAD MAN

http://media3.steelers.com/MediaContent/2008/08/05/08/0804_TCdh_parker_timmons_92786.jpg

Timmons can cover the fastest guy on the team.. almost.

That photo of Harrison almost made me piss my pants in fear. He is just flat out scary.

That being said, I think he won't have as good a year this year as he did last from a stats perspective, simply because opposing teams will take him into account in their game plans. Hopefully that frees up other guys to step up, like Woodley.

steelernation77
08-06-2008, 05:05 PM
That photo of Harrison almost made me piss my pants in fear. He is just flat out scary.

That being said, I think he won't have as good a year this year as he did last from a stats perspective, simply because opposing teams will take him into account in their game plans. Hopefully that frees up other guys to step up, like Woodley.

I think that a 2nd year of starting plus the addition of Woodley will only help Harrison this year. Haggans didn't provide much pressure last year, teams will be forced to respect Woodley once he displays his ability and Harrison will get better match-ups.

Unbiased
08-06-2008, 11:20 PM
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2008/08/smith-still-doesnt-get-it.html

brat316
08-06-2008, 11:36 PM
so Bloom is going to be the return man for the game against the Eagles

Smooth Criminal
08-07-2008, 08:24 AM
Anthony Smith was also thrust into the limelight as a second year player.

Didn't Porter have 3-4 Years before he was a starter?

I think Porter started his 2nd season.

mikehop05
08-07-2008, 12:44 PM
yeah im 95% sure he started his second year at pitt

Unbiased
08-07-2008, 04:14 PM
I think Porter started his 2nd season.

Started all 16 games.