PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Steelers Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

mikehop05
01-09-2007, 12:06 PM
I agree, this is a nice mock draft. But, I think i am going to give examples, on how to trade down, it makes it more realistic/fun. For example, the Jets have 2 seconds (theires and WAS.), and they need a running back, so I can see them trading up with us to grab Lynch. Our pick is worth 1050 points, their picks are worth about 740, and 340, if they are picking at 24 in the draft.

Now, we have the 24th, the 47th, and the 56th.
I can definetly see Rice going here, then Moss, then Hunt.

Another possibility, would be to trade the Bucs our first, (1050 points) for both of their seconds (540) and (300)-(depends on when colts finish), along with their third (250)

That gives us the 36th(bucs), 47th(ours), 60th(bucs from colts), 68th (bucs) and our 79th. In such a deep class, this may not be such a bad idea.

I like this idea, and this would be my mock.

Charles Johnson / Quention Moses at the 36th - With such a deep class at DE/OLB tweeners, these guys are first round talent that could slip to the early 2nd round. Moses maybe not, but definetly Johnson. Depedning on the Combine Moss could jump up to here as well.

Dwayne Bowe / Robert Meachem with the 47th - Both tall and physical guys that can go up for the jump ball. Again, possible first round talent, but given such a deep class (assuming Ginn and Jarrett come out), these guys could be a steal here.

Tony Hunt with the 60th. (2nd rd.) Power back, we all know why.

Desmond Bishop with the 68th(3rd rd.) - Jumping on this bandwagon that Stiller started. Athletic guy who can hit.

Tony Ugoh / Aaron Searrs with our 79th. Probably won't fall this far, but I think Gaither will decalre, using up the one or two big *potential* spots in the first 2 rounds. Both are athletic, and can probably play both tackles and possibly a guard spot.

With our 4th, Prescott Burgess - A good OLB who reminds me a lot of Harrison. Can contribute right away on special teams, and can take over for Harrison after a couple of years.

Nathan Bennet with our other 4th - Stiller already gave the rundown.

Heyer, Patrick, and Podlesh look good to me to round it out.

DeathbyStat
01-09-2007, 02:57 PM
Hey stiller, what about Lawerence Timmons? Are you jumping off of that ship?

skarocksoi
01-09-2007, 03:05 PM
Hey what about Lawerence Timmons? Are you jumping off of that ship?

Speaking of Timmons, what position does he project to? Is he more of a pass rusher or run stopper? I know he played some 3-4 in college, but he's still a Junior and doesn't have a lot of experience. Will he be able to make an impact right away? I'm really interested in this guy and whether or not he would be a good pick for us. With more and more juniors declaring, this draft is getting a lot more interesting in terms of talent.

skarocksoi
01-09-2007, 09:14 PM
Is it me or does Ken Wisenhunt sortof resemble Woody Harrelson?

Mr. Stiller
01-09-2007, 09:28 PM
Is it me or does Ken Wisenhunt sortof resemble Woody Harrelson?

I always thought that.

Mr. Stiller
01-09-2007, 09:46 PM
Hey stiller, what about Lawerence Timmons? Are you jumping off of that ship?

I was never on it. I thought Timmons would be a viable option, but I was enamored with Moss all season.. the prospect of him leaving is much greater now with a NC Win. An athletic 6'6 260lb guy.

You see Jason Taylor won DPOY... What moss could be ....

Rice is just perfect for giving us a Big WR option.

mikehop05:

I agree you could do that and I apologize, i'm not exact becuase at that point I don't think it matters.. if that possibility arises... i'm not concerned with what team.

However.. I like Moses, but i like moss much much more. Also, Johnson is likely a strict 4-3 DE.. he's 6'2 280lbs. If he could drop in coverage he'd be a mack truck.'

I thought of Bowe, but He's not Elite and I don't think he could be a #1 in 3 years.. he'd be a great #2 but, we already have that in Holmes.

Meachem is my backup plan For Sidney Rice, if he's not there the only other guy I want day 1 is Meachem (I'm not fond of Jarrett and I don't see CJ falling to 15 even if he only had one leg.)..

I like Hunt, Obviously. Only guy that may suit if he's not there is Wynn day 2.. he was pretty good... not amazing last night, but his oline is built on pass blocking... not run blocking, but he is certainly a workhorse.

I like Ugoh but I hear his Work ethic is a joke. Sears is likley a Pro gaurd. I look at Heyer as a possible LT prospect.. just very raw, he's played LT for 3 years at Maryland now. 1 at RT. so he has the experience. Start him like we did Marvel.. a few years at RT and move him over. He's had a power and speed back behind him and is athletic for his size. Gaither is a guy I've oft-thought about in round 1 if he declares... but I don't think i put a 1st rounder on a project (albeit talented) prospect like him..

I'm not impressed with Burgess. I think we could find certainly much better OLB Prospect if we were going for a pure OLB. Especially as early as round 4. A few guys include:

Dallas Sartz, Justin Durant, Michael McFadden, Juwan Simpson, Stephen Nicholas, and Boo McLee. However. We've had too many misses with Pure LB prospects. We need 2 guys proven to get after the QB.. hence why I went with Hickman.. He's a proven DE with Speed and ability to get in the backfield... 3 sacks against 2nd/3rd round prospect Ryan Harris. I think dropping him at OLB and letting him have Keisel/Hampton/Smith in front of him will let him fly into the backfield.

Now like I said. He'll likely be a ST guy and possible career backup, but since we run a 4-1 Dime package... he'd be a great situational pass rusher. Play DE in the 4-1 Package and Have Moss on the other side. Until next year when we grab tommy Blake.

I agree on Bennett, I think of Him as a guy to be Raw and then be the next Alan Faneca.

This draft sets me up for the next 2.

2008:

Trade up for an additional 1st rounder.. I know this is heavily anticipating.. but i figure..

If these guys all make the roster.

then in 2008 ..

1a) Tommy Blake -> DE/OLB TCU
1b) Chris Long -> 3/4 DE Extraodinaire.

then we can draft a guy in round 2/3 (Depending on what we have left) at CB.. to aid in losing DeShea Townsend.

2009 ... Michael Oher, Miss State, LT. Regarded as a great great LT prospect in the making. By that time if Heyer is comfortable at RT.. and Colon at RG.. let Oher stay behind marvel a year or 2 and we have a Pro-bowl line again.

However htis is speculation and highly unnecsesary. I like these guys alot and would die to have them on the steelers.

DeathbyStat
01-10-2007, 09:28 AM
A couple comments if......Porter holds out this year we should Deion Branch his ass. I know we won't get a first rounder out of it but we could at least get something. I think Harrsion could be a stop gap for one year while we get a young guy ready.

Stiller I agree with you Jarvis Moss is a beast.

Stiller your mock draft seem good I was just wondering what you projected the steelers doing last year.....I was really shocked by what they did and wasn't all that happy this is what I thought would be done.

Round 1
Lendale White

Chad Jackson

Ko Simpson

Daniel Manning

The Chad Jackson pick in the second is hind sight but the rest is legit.

mikehop05
01-10-2007, 11:00 AM
I know the steelers were not impressed with Lendale white the person... not necessarily the player, and character usually seems to matter a lot with the steelers organization

And Stiller i agree with most of your comments and your mock, i was just adding an alternative with loading up on seconds and thirds with such a deep draft

And i do not like sidney rice really... i dont know what it is about him but he just has bust written all over him

And i disagree about bowe, i think he is very hines ward-esque, he is physical, not overly fast but gains separation, and he can run any route, but he also adds the demention of the jump ball at 6'3

Sgt Pepper
01-10-2007, 12:32 PM
A couple comments if......Porter holds out this year we should Deion Branch his ass. I know we won't get a first rounder out of it but we could at least get something. I think Harrsion could be a stop gap for one year while we get a young guy ready.

Stiller I agree with you Jarvis Moss is a beast.

Stiller your mock draft seem good I was just wondering what you projected the steelers doing last year.....I was really shocked by what they did and wasn't all that happy this is what I thought would be done.

Round 1
Lendale White

Chad Jackson

Ko Simpson

Daniel Manning

The Chad Jackson pick in the second is hind sight but the rest is legit.

I would rather take what we got in the draft than those 4 mentioned. Santonio Holmes is a better reciever than Chad Jackson. Holmes had a very good season for a rookie reciever but it was overlooked because of the rediculous season Colston had.

I'd rather have Anthony Smith than Ko Simpson. Smith plays with good position, hits hard, and is a decent ballhawk.

After the season Willie Parker just had how can you say Lendale White, who wasn't at all impressive, would have been a good pick. A complementary back is not worth a first round pick.

Had those players been selected instead of the ones we got, the Steelers would not be any better off.

DeathbyStat
01-10-2007, 01:04 PM
Yeah your right, but if given the opportunity Jackson could have produced equally or better than Santonio did...Anthony Smith is an absolute steal.

Smooth Criminal
01-10-2007, 02:52 PM
Yeah your right, but if given the opportunity Jackson could have produced equally or better than Santonio did...Anthony Smith is an absolute steal.

Chad Jackson was given a chance. He was put onto a team that had no starting recievers. If he was at all impressive in camp and the preseason he could have come into the season as a starter.

skarocksoi
01-10-2007, 02:59 PM
Chad Jackson had hamstring issues for some of training camp and the beginning of the season and didnt get a good deal of playing time because of it. Plus, the Patriots don't seem like the type of team who just throws rookies into the mix right away.

skarocksoi
01-10-2007, 04:05 PM
Here's an interesting article I found online that basically outlines Grimm's coaching style, and I have to say it made me really support the guy as our next head coach.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_487842.html

Grimm, the Steelers' offensive line/assistant head coach, interviewed for the Arizona Cardinals' head coaching job Tuesday. He met with the media and told reporters there that if he became a head coach, he would employ an attacking defense.

Grimm also said he is a proponent of a balanced offense and indicated he would not be a hands-off coach with any aspect of his team, including his assistants.

My kind of guy.

richdg
01-10-2007, 08:24 PM
I am hoping we have our coach in place this weekend. That with the 15th being the final day for underclassmen to declare, comes together nicely. We will know who the coach is, and what players we will need to do his thing. I still want Grimm. great name, great history, from the Pitt area, just seems to fit.

NFLBOY
01-10-2007, 08:43 PM
I really like Grimm also. Big decision for the Steelers. I am leaning to whiz for head coach. I like what he has done with the offense and he is one of the best play callers in the NFL. Either way we should be headed in a good direction. Seems to me that Grimm might have more of a killer instinct than whiz or Cowher have had, and that could be a big plus also.

mikehop05
01-10-2007, 09:40 PM
I still like Tomlin,

we can keep both whiz and grimm as well, it doesnt look like they will be getting any HC jobs.

But i'll be happy with any of the 3 as it seems like Rivera isnt an option anymore.

skarocksoi
01-10-2007, 10:37 PM
I think later on in the article is says that there is a good possibility that depending on who is hired, the other coach could stay. So if Grimm is hired, Whisenhunt could stay and visa versa. They can only leave if they get a head coaching job somewhere else. Whisenhunt might get one with another team, but I dont think Grimm will.

mikehop05
01-11-2007, 12:35 AM
Yeah well if none of them get hired elsewhere, they pretty much have to stay.

It could be kinda crappy not to give the HC job to one of them, though.

I just really like Tomlin for some reason, I think he will be a great coach.

Bababooey
01-11-2007, 02:55 AM
I think it'll be Grimm, because he's a 'Pittsburgh guy'.

:roll:

If I had to choose with he or Whisenhunt, i'll take Whisenhunt who would have a better development on Ben. I can't wait until Bruce Arians is our OC.

If I had to choose, i'd take Tomlin. Very young, very smart and seems to know football. Hiring from inside the house makes the team complacent, and furthers the chance of Joey Porter staying on, with awful play.

As for the Draft, I would be thrilled with Quentin Moses, Marcus McCauley or even Lawrence Timmons.

I wouldn't mind Mason Crosby in the 3rd either, Jeff Reed was awful this year. And his kickoffs? Lets not get started.

skarocksoi
01-11-2007, 10:08 AM
I would never, ever take a kicker in the third round regardless of how bad the current kicker is. You shouldn't even think about a kicker until at least the second day. The earliest you should take a kicker is probably the fifth, and even then the guy better be able to kick it the length of the field consistantly.

Anyways, I didn't think Jeff Reed did that horrible this year, but I've heard a lot of people complain about the kicking game (punting and kicking) and I'm not sure why. Was it really that bad? I missed the last couple games, but for the most part I thought it was ok. Hell, Gardocki's punts were the only reason we kept the score so low against Jacksonville.

mikehop05
01-11-2007, 12:10 PM
I would never, ever take a kicker in the third round regardless of how bad the current kicker is. You shouldn't even think about a kicker until at least the second day. The earliest you should take a kicker is probably the fifth, and even then the guy better be able to kick it the length of the field consistantly.

Anyways, I didn't think Jeff Reed did that horrible this year, but I've heard a lot of people complain about the kicking game (punting and kicking) and I'm not sure why. Was it really that bad? I missed the last couple games, but for the most part I thought it was ok. Hell, Gardocki's punts were the only reason we kept the score so low against Jacksonville.

i agree, i wouldnt ever take a kicker in the first 5 rounds.

and yes, the punting game was terrible, gardocki was kicking low 40 yarders it seemed for most of the season

jeff reed was fine, he missed a few long ones @ pitt. but then again no one can hit a long fieldgoal there

skarocksoi
01-11-2007, 02:29 PM
Yeah, the open end of Heinz Field is probably one of the hardest places to kick a field goal in the NFL, if not the hardest. Plus, Reed is pretty good in clutch situations so I have no problem with him. I don't care about Gardocki staying or going, and getting rid of him with a younger rookie or free agent would save us some cash. I think they even brought in a guy in training camp (Barr?) to challenge him, but he kept his spot.

On a somewhat humorous side note, my brother is a punter for his school and loves gardocki for some reason. He even went as far as gettng a Gardocki jersey this past year. It be kind of funny if we did get rid of him now. Almost as funny as people with Duce Staley jerseys.

mikehop05
01-11-2007, 02:59 PM
Yeah, the open end of Heinz Field is probably one of the hardest places to kick a field goal in the NFL, if not the hardest. Plus, Reed is pretty good in clutch situations so I have no problem with him. I don't care about Gardocki staying or going, and getting rid of him with a younger rookie or free agent would save us some cash. I think they even brought in a guy in training camp (Barr?) to challenge him, but he kept his spot.

On a somewhat humorous side note, my brother is a punter for his school and loves gardocki for some reason. He even went as far as gettng a Gardocki jersey this past year. It be kind of funny if we did get rid of him now. Almost as funny as people with Duce Staley jerseys.

haha yeah that is pretty funny,

i have a ben anda hines jersey and i hopppppe they dont leave us soon :D

mikehop05
01-11-2007, 03:06 PM
http://www.nba.com/suns/news/report_070109.html

id fold like a schoolgirl too if i saw ben

skarocksoi
01-11-2007, 03:09 PM
Sorry for posting a lot, but I'm still on break between semesters and I'm bored out of my skull, so I've been doing some thinking. My gut feeling right now about the coaching situation is that Grimm will be hired as our head coach and Whisenhunt will get a job with either Arizona or Miami. From all the articles I've read, that seems the direction that the organization is leaning. Feel free to rub this in my face when I'm wrong.

Also, this is one of the best years to get a WR in the draft, and I think we should try and pick one up in the first few rounds. We have the possibility of picking up a guy like Sydney Rice at the end of round one or Robert Meachem in the second. Just my thoughts.

mikehop05
01-11-2007, 03:15 PM
hahaha im the same way, and ill be home till the 22nd so im sure everyone will get sick of me posting

i really dont know who itll be,

if grimm and whiz wernt such loyal steeler type guys, i would say it would be tomlin.

for some reason i really like bowe and meachem over rice, they are both very physical and bowe reminds me of ward, just in how physical he is..

skarocksoi
01-11-2007, 08:10 PM
I like Bowe and Meachem too. I'd have to agree that Bowe is a Hines Ward type while Meachem is more of a deep threat. My only concern about Meachem isAnother guy I've heard likened to Ward is Anthony Gonzales of Ohio State, who convieniently just declared for the draft. This draft is just full of WR talent, and we need to pick up on some of it.

Smooth Criminal
01-11-2007, 09:16 PM
I still like Tomlin,

we can keep both whiz and grimm as well, it doesnt look like they will be getting any HC jobs.

But i'll be happy with any of the 3 as it seems like Rivera isnt an option anymore.

Whisenhunt is scheduled to go back for a 2nd interview in Arizona sometime next week.

Smooth Criminal
01-11-2007, 09:19 PM
Gailey to become fifth Steelers candidate

NFL.com wire reports

PITTSBURGH (Jan. 11, 2007) -- Georgia Tech coach Chan Gailey will be interviewed for the Pittsburgh Steelers' coaching job, the fifth coach to meet with the team since Bill Cowher resigned last week.

Team owner Dan Rooney and president Art Rooney II plan to meet with Gailey on Jan. 13, and may hold a second round of interviews with the finalists next week. The Steelers also followed that procedure before hiring Cowher from among four finalists in 1992.

The Steelers appeared to be winding down their search after meeting previously with Steelers assistants Russ Grimm and Ken Whisenhunt, Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin and Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera. They have not asked for permission to interview any other NFL assistant coaches, but decided to also interview Gailey.

Grimm and Whisenhunt have been considered the favorites since the start of the search.

Whisenhunt, the Steelers' offensive coordinator, also interviewed with the Miami Dolphins, Atlanta Falcons and Arizona Cardinals and will have a second interview with Arizona. Grimm also interviewed with the Cardinals.

Gailey was a Steelers assistant under Cowher from 1994-97, spending his final two seasons as the offensive coordinator, before becoming Dallas Cowboys coach. He had an 18-16 record in two seasons there, including a 10-6 regular-season mark and a division championship in 1998.

At Georgia Tech, Gailey has a 37-27 record with four bowl game appearances in as many seasons.

Up to 5 candidates now.

diabsoule
01-11-2007, 09:35 PM
I hope it's between Rivera or Tomlin. I like them the best out of all the candidates.

Smooth Criminal
01-11-2007, 09:37 PM
I hope it's between Rivera or Tomlin. I like them the best out of all the candidates.

Everything I've read says its between Whis and Grimm and these other people being interviewed are just them going through the motions.

diabsoule
01-11-2007, 09:46 PM

Everything I've read says its between Whis and Grimm and these other people being interviewed are just them going through the motions.

That's what I've heard as well.

Mr. Stiller
01-12-2007, 01:49 AM
I want Grimm.

Whis is a crafty guy and should be in a place like Zona with their offensive talent . We need a guy because we're more of a fiery determined team. Grimm is that guy.

We can hire a great OC to call plays, but the HC needs to be a hardass. Cowher was too lax this year and had a soft spot for "His" guys.. I'd like to see how Grimm is .... Not coughlin, everyone hates the coach.. but respectful. I'd like to see our drafts..

I can't even begin to think of the guys that the Other people were asking for like Hoak asking for Michael Turner round 5...

That kid is now getting 1st round pick consideration. I'm glad we didn't and Willie Came through because I love Willie, but Imagine having both... we'd get another 1st, instead? Nathanial Adibi..

I love cowher, great coach, but he wasn't a good evaluator of day 2 talent.

richdg
01-12-2007, 07:59 AM
Stiller, did you really just say that Cowher didn't evaluate day 2 talent very well? I have to say you are wrong. Taylor, Foote, Keisel, A. Smith, Ward, and Kemo are just some of the day 2 finds that we have had over the last 15 years. In fact, it is day 1 that we have our problems. Players such as Stephans, Staat, Sheilds, Jackson, Worley, etc..... day 2 is a day till fill out your roster. Anytime you can come up with a starter, you have done well. When you can come up with a Pro Bowl player, youhave done great. We have done great on day 2.

mikehop05
01-12-2007, 10:38 AM
i thought taylor and ward were first day

skarocksoi
01-12-2007, 10:42 AM
Taylor was the 4th round and I'm pretty sure Ward was second day. I think 5th or 6th.

mikehop05
01-12-2007, 10:51 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hines_Ward

ward was a third rounder

mikehop05
01-12-2007, 10:57 AM
and we didnt draft kimo, the bengals did

steel man
01-12-2007, 11:07 AM
do you guys think that we might would draft Jeff Samardzija, WR, Notre Dame if he falls to the 2nd round or if we trae down in the 1st. a lot of people have us drafting a WR in the 1st or 2nd anyway, or is he not what we are looking for. i think he would be great, he is a hard worker plus he has good hands and our WR's did drop a lot of passes and he is a tall WR and would be a good in the red zone. Jeff Samardzija, Hines Ward, and Heath Miller in a goal line package that would be nice and then on the 3 WR packages have Holmes(thats when Randel El done his best) as our deep guy and/or any of them in the slot would be nice.

just an ideal

steel man
01-12-2007, 11:14 AM
also is there anyway we would trade up to get Calvin Johnson WR, GT, i know it would cost a lot but could it happen. if so what would it take

EX. our 1st rd, our 2nd rd in 2008, joey porter, & max starks (this is just an EX.)

mikehop05
01-12-2007, 11:29 AM
i dont think jeff is a real steeler type of guy mentally, physically - he is all there and would be great for us, but i dont see us using a second on him when we dont even know if he'll play football when there are guys like bowe and meachem out there

i would love to grab calvin johnson, but we have so many depth issues and in such a deep draft i think it would be foolish for us to give up so much for one player, although great, WR is not a primary concern for us

BigRob
01-12-2007, 11:30 AM
also is there anyway we would trade up to get Calvin Johnson WR, GT, i know it would cost a lot but could it happen. if so what would it take

EX. our 1st rd, our 2nd rd in 2008, joey porter, & max starks (this is just an EX.)

Dude, it would take way more than that even if you could find a team that wants Joey Porter and Max Starks. CJ is going to be a top 5 pick. Trading up into the Top 5 is notoriously expensive.

mikehop05
01-12-2007, 11:35 AM
we have 1050 points with our first pick, 430 points with our 2nd round pick, and 195 with our 3rd rounder

all of those combined = 1675 which would be rougly a # 5 pick.

I bet Calvin is gone by then.

It would just take too much

NFLBOY
01-12-2007, 11:42 AM

Dude, it would take way more than that even if you could find a team that wants Joey Porter and Max Starks. CJ is going to be a top 5 pick. Trading up into the Top 5 is notoriously expensive. There are plenty of teams that would want Joey Porter. I can't believe the stupidity on this site about porter. The guy is our vocal leader and is the one who gets the defense going. He has been double teamed this year and was still our best linebacker. Hard to believe how people love holmes who can't hang on to a ball and runs wrong routes better than a guy who didn't have one of his normal years but is still considered the best outside linebacker in the game.

mikehop05
01-12-2007, 11:52 AM
[/quote]
Dude, it would take way more than that even if you could find a team that wants Joey Porter and Max Starks. CJ is going to be a top 5 pick. Trading up into the Top 5 is notoriously expensive.[/quote] There are plenty of teams that would want Joey Porter. I can't believe the stupidity on this site about porter. The guy is our vocal leader and is the one who gets the defense going. He has been double teamed this year and was still our best linebacker. Hard to believe how people love holmes who can't hang on to a ball and runs wrong routes better than a guy who didn't have one of his normal years but is still considered the best outside linebacker in the game.[/quote]

Couldn't disagree more.

Porter was not double teamed much at all this year because he couldn't beat his blockers one on one, so why would they have to double team him?

True, he is a vocal leader, but that is not saying much - if he leaves someone will assume that position. And, honestly you do not need a vocal leader all of the time. Lead by example, ala Jason Taylor or Brian Urlacher.

He is NOT the best OLB in the game, as evidence - see the pro bowl roster for those who are some of the best.

He is just getting past his prime is all, nothing bad, it happens to all players. But, he makes a lot of stupid mistakes and personal fouls - and that is not really acceptable.

He might have been our best linebacker... but i would have to disagree and go with Foote.

Don't get me wrong, Porter is a good player, but he is not great. And, if we can trade him for a second rounder - I wouldn't hesitate to say cya. But, if we can't get a second (and i doubt we could) then we should hang on to him as he is still a decent player.

skarocksoi
01-12-2007, 12:07 PM
porter is really overrated. I think saying "vocal leader" is an overstatement too; he's just vocal. Plus it would be hard to give him away because he is getting older. I'm sure some team out there would take him, but we would never get what you guys would want for him.

steel man
01-12-2007, 12:15 PM
i love proter. i think he is a really good player and he can fire a team up better than anyone plus he strikes fear in the other team, but having said that now that cowher is gone(cowher is porters boy and porter is cowhers boy) i am just thinking porter has 1 more year left and then i think he might leave and/or if cowher comes back and coaches another team then porter will leave to play for cowher again, so why not get something for him. i never wanted to trade porter before, until cowher left. thats all i was thinking

mikehop05
01-12-2007, 12:16 PM
porter is really overrated. I think saying "vocal leader" is an overstatement too; he's just vocal. Plus it would be hard to give him away because he is getting older. I'm sure some team out there would take him, but we would never get what you guys would want for him.

/agreed

mikehop05
01-12-2007, 12:24 PM
what do we make of the Steelers interviewing a 5th candidate?

does this mean they were not 100% sold on any one of the first four candidates?

Or, are they just 'going through the motions' and maybe appeasing one of their former coaches?

steel man
01-12-2007, 12:24 PM
i dont think jeff is a real steeler type of guy mentally, physically - he is all there and would be great for us, but i dont see us using a second on him when we dont even know if he'll play football when there are guys like bowe and meachem out there

IMO he is what made Brady Quinn and i was thinking we need someone who will hold on to the ball. good point on the baseball fact but i thought he said he was going to play football.

i really like Meachem. i think he could end up being a #1 WR, but i am not sold on Bowe as a #1 or even a #2. he has made some good catches but i still not sold on him. i do however think he also made JaMarcus Russell better.

steel man
01-12-2007, 12:26 PM
i have read that Bill Cowher told them to interview Chan Gailey so it might just be because he told them to.

mikehop05
01-12-2007, 12:34 PM

IMO he is what made Brady Quinn and i was thinking we need someone who will hold on to the ball. good point on the baseball fact but i thought he said he was going to play football.

i really like Meachem. i think he could end up being a #1 WR, but i am not sold on Bowe as a #1 or even a #2. he has made some good catches but i still not sold on him. i do however think he also made JaMarcus Russell better.

he said he wants to try and play both football and baseball

dont get me wrong i think he is an excellent football player, but honestly he just doesn't seem like a steeler - it might be cuz he needs a hair cut - the mofo is goofy looking, but i dont know

skarocksoi
01-12-2007, 12:39 PM
I'd pretty much cry if we picked "Shark". I think he's incredibly overrated and we dont even know if he is comitted to football or baseball. To succeed in the NFL you need to give a 100% in season and offseason, and believe me, he is no Bo Jackson. Plus in just about every ND game I watched this year, he was very inconsistant and dropped a lot of passes. I'd take Meachem and Bowe and almost any other WR over Samardja any day of the week.

Vince Lombardi
01-12-2007, 02:15 PM
I heard on the radio today that Fassel interviewed for the Steelers HC job and that the Rooneys are in love with him.

I don't know if there's any truth to this so take it for what it's worth....

azazaz7
01-12-2007, 02:23 PM
what do we make of the Steelers interviewing a 5th candidate?

does this mean they were not 100% sold on any one of the first four candidates?

Or, are they just 'going through the motions' and maybe appeasing one of their former coaches?
I think they're trying to buy some time. There could be some more candidates available after this weekend so the Steelers are just prolonging the process.

I like Gailey more as an OC than as HC.

D-Unit
01-12-2007, 02:30 PM
What's happening with the HC search? Is Wisenhunt or Grimm gonna be the man? If so, what's taking so long?

mikehop05
01-12-2007, 02:55 PM
What's happening with the HC search? Is Wisenhunt or Grimm gonna be the man? If so, what's taking so long?

i have noo idea, and as far as the fossil question goes, he interviewed with the raiders i believe

Smooth Criminal
01-12-2007, 04:01 PM

I don't think its taking long at all Cowher only resigned earlier this week. They've interviewed 5 people and I've heard a decision could be made by the end of the weekend.

But everything I've read has said it will either be Whis or Grimm.

mikehop05
01-12-2007, 04:07 PM

I don't think its taking long at all Cowher only resigned earlier this week. They've interviewed 5 people and I've heard a decision could be made by the end of the weekend.

But everything I've read has said it will either be Whis or Grimm.

yeah most stuff out of the post-gazzette is pointing to whis / grimm

diabsoule
01-12-2007, 05:51 PM
The Cardinals are bringing Whisenhunt back for another interview. I think this might mean that they are going to hire him.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2728282

I hope we hire Rivera. I'm crossing my fingers.

Smooth Criminal
01-12-2007, 05:59 PM
The Cardinals are bringing Whisenhunt back for another interview. I think this might mean that they are going to hire him.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2728282

I hope we hire Rivera. I'm crossing my fingers.

Most people thought they were going to give to job to Sherman when he got his 2nd interview but he asked for to much money. Whis will probably be offered the job. I'd be suprised if he took it while our job is still open though.

NFLBOY
01-12-2007, 06:11 PM
Dude, it would take way more than that even if you could find a team that wants Joey Porter and Max Starks. CJ is going to be a top 5 pick. Trading up into the Top 5 is notoriously expensive.[/quote] There are plenty of teams that would want Joey Porter. I can't believe the stupidity on this site about porter. The guy is our vocal leader and is the one who gets the defense going. He has been double teamed this year and was still our best linebacker. Hard to believe how people love holmes who can't hang on to a ball and runs wrong routes better than a guy who didn't have one of his normal years but is still considered the best outside linebacker in the game.[/quote]

Couldn't disagree more.

Porter was not double teamed much at all this year because he couldn't beat his blockers one on one, so why would they have to double team him?

True, he is a vocal leader, but that is not saying much - if he leaves someone will assume that position. And, honestly you do not need a vocal leader all of the time. Lead by example, ala Jason Taylor or Brian Urlacher.

He is NOT the best OLB in the game, as evidence - see the pro bowl roster for those who are some of the best.

He is just getting past his prime is all, nothing bad, it happens to all players. But, he makes a lot of stupid mistakes and personal fouls - and that is not really acceptable.

He might have been our best linebacker... but i would have to disagree and go with Foote.

Don't get me wrong, Porter is a good player, but he is not great. And, if we can trade him for a second rounder - I wouldn't hesitate to say cya. But, if we can't get a second (and i doubt we could) then we should hang on to him as he is still a decent player.[/quote] You need to look at Porters stats over his career. This year he had the same numbers he usually puts up. I'm just curious why people would not like a player one year after they have thought he has been so great for other years. Apparently people don't watch him all the time, cause the guy is a huge force on our defense. Without him we would really hurt.

skarocksoi
01-12-2007, 06:24 PM
Well, I thought I'd try my hand at a mock draft, so here goes. In this I've traded down with the Jets and recieved a 2nd rounder at pick number 50. I'm going to say they are trading up to grab Marshawn Lynch at 15 before Green Bay, but I also did a first round mock (well, part of one) where Alan Branch fell to 15. I didnt include any commentary, so if you have a question just ask away. Anyways, here it is. Tell me what you think

Steelers Mock
w/Trade

Rd 1 Anthony Spencer, DE/OLB Purdue

Rd 2 Dwayne Bowe, WR LSU

Rd 2 (trade w/Jets) Tony Hunt, RB Penn State

Rd 3 Desmond Bishop, MLB Cal

Rd 4a Nathan Bennett, OG Clemson

Rd 4b Dan Mozes, C WVU

Rd 5a Ikalia Alama-Francis, DE Hawaii

Rd 5b Ben Patrick, TE Delaware

Rd 6 Isaiah Stanback, QB Washington

Rd 7 Adam Podlesh, P Maryland

THav916
01-12-2007, 10:09 PM
I also disagree with the guy that thinks Joey Porter is amazing. Especially just strictly from a trade value perspective. That's where this stemmed from, right? Someone putting Porter and Starks in a trade with our 1st and 3rd rounder. People need to realize NFL trades are different than other sports. Porter is getting older and his play is far from dominating. I even think last year he had a stretch of good games, but a lot of his sacks come from great blitzes when he's matched up on nobody or a running back. So, I'm not someone that thought he was amazing last year and no good this year. The one thing I love what Porter brings is intensity, passion and identity. I think Porter is very expendable. But I'd actually rather get rid of Haggans, whom I feel does less than Porter and doesn't provide the intangibles. I'd keep Porter for one more year and see what happens. I certainly don't think he has huge trade value, or is a top 10 linebacker in the game, though.

THav916
01-12-2007, 10:17 PM
Some draft talk

JARVIS MOSS FIRST ROUND (if he declares)

I think Samardzija would be a great pick if he was just going to play football. But the whole baseball thing scares me too.

I think Jamaal Anderson entering the draft COULD mean Gaines Adams falls. If he starts falling, I'd like to entertain a trade up.

I will wait to see the combine results of Adams, Moss, Moses, Timmons, Smith (If he works out), Poz, Woodley, and Spencer though. I'm excited for that.

With those guys at OLB and Willis, Harris, Bishop, Warren, etc Inside, we really have a lot of candidates at the linebacker position on the first day.

Right now...
1. Jarvis Moss
2. Joe Staley (trade up if need be)
3. Tony Hunt
4-7. ILB, OLB, OG, QB, DE, CB

skarocksoi
01-12-2007, 11:31 PM
This was on the Steelers website. Looks like we have someone to compete for the return job and some depth at CB, so we probably wont be drafting anything along those lines.

http://news.steelers.com/article/73491/

TerribleEd
01-12-2007, 11:57 PM
I just don't see it....

With the disapointing play of the Steelers OLB's in 2006......

With Porter and Haggans entering into the final years of their contracts......

I just don't see a 3-4 OLB worthy of the Steelers first rounder.

Jarvis Moss? He's 6 ft 6. That's a little too tall to play OLB, in my opinion.

Lawrence Timmons? Looks more like a 4-3 SAM.

Anthony Spencer? Definitely a 3-4 type OLB, but not worthy of the #1, even with a trade down. He'd be a great second rounder, though.

LaMarr Woodley? Perhaps, but I think he's better suited as a 4-3 DE too.

Paul Poz? I like him, but I'm not sure he'll be around, and his knee does worry me.

Even though the Steelers are extremely exposed at this crucial 3-4 position, I do not want to see them reach for a first rounder who may wind up a disappointment.

mikehop05
01-13-2007, 12:39 AM
I just don't see it....

Anthony Spencer? Definitely a 3-4 type OLB, but not worthy of the #1, even with a trade down. He'd be a great second rounder, though.

Paul Poz? I like him, but I'm not sure he'll be around, and his knee does worry me.

Even though the Steelers are extremely exposed at this crucial 3-4 position, I do not want to see them reach for a first rounder who may wind up a disappointment.

its hard to say before the combine who is going to look good in black and gold on the outside and who just wont cut it

i agree with you though, it seems like we aree too high for the middle talent and too low for the high talent

damn 15 pick

skarocksoi
01-13-2007, 01:01 AM
Yeah, I sortof agree with you on that one. I put Spencer as my first round pick because I've heard word that he might put up some sick numbers at the combine. Otherwise, looking back on our old drafts, we don't really take linebackers in the first round. We have a good GM who can find those diamonds in the rough in later rounds.

Here's a mock that has no trade.

Steelers Mock

Rd 1 Levi Brown, OT Penn State

Rd 2 Dwayne Bowe, WR LSU

Rd 3 Brian Smith, DE/OLB Missouri

Rd 4a Anthony Waters, MLB Clemson

Rd 4b Nathan Bennett, OG Clemson

Rd 6 Antwan Applewhite, DE/OLB San Diego St.

mikehop05
01-13-2007, 01:04 AM
im loving 2 - 7

i am penn state fan (second to UMD) but i am not quite sold on levi...

i want to see him at the combine, see how athletic he is, etc.

a guy i like is joe staley, but i dont know if he will merrit a 15 pick.

THav916
01-13-2007, 11:28 AM
I just don't see it....

its hard to say before the combine who is going to look good in black and gold on the outside and who just wont cut it

i agree with you though, it seems like we aree too high for the middle talent and too low for the high talent

damn 15 pick

I agree with this. The combine and workouts will really show. I'm hoping after it's all said and done there are 3 legitimate 3-4 OLB candidates in Adams, Moss and Moses. I am just predicting Moss ends up being a bigtime candidate. I don't see why the 6'6 part would prohibit him from OLB. Manny Lawson last year was 6'5-6'6. Shawne Merriman at 6'4 270 is "too big" to play OLB but is a freak. My point is that size and speed has become bigger and faster than ever. I'm hoping Moss tests out and becomes a candidate for us. First and foremost from our OLB i want pressure. I think any of the top 3 would provide pressure as their strongpoint. 12-15 sacks would be possible. I think they are athletic enough to learn the OLB position. If we got a stud on one side, within the next year or two we could target a guy that played more like Poz on the other side to cover, and do it all, and maybe get 5-10 sacks.

THav916
01-13-2007, 11:36 AM
Yeah, I sortof agree with you on that one. I put Spencer as my first round pick because I've heard word that he might put up some sick numbers at the combine. Otherwise, looking back on our old drafts, we don't really take linebackers in the first round. We have a good GM who can find those diamonds in the rough in later rounds.

While this could be true, I think the 3-4 defense has become as big as ever and 3-4 OLB's are more in vogue than ever. You have a lot of teams lookin for them. I think finding diamonds in the rough, while maybe still possible, is not as easy as it was 5-10 years ago. You can't just assume we'll keep finding studs on the 2nd day of the draft. That's one reason i disagree with people saying we never take an OLB in the 1st round so we won't now. It's really just a personal theory but i think i'm kinda on to something. lol. Now I certainly don't want to take an OLB in the 1st just to take one, but as my previous post stated, I'm hoping/thinking that after the combine, we will have legit candidates to choose from.

The "en vogueness" of the 3-4 is also another reason that if Alama-Francis ends up being as legit as he looks, i'd find it hard to believe that he'd fall to the 5th round or below. There are a ton of teams that would love a bigtime DE in the 3-4. He'll have to have some difficiencies to fall to the 2nd day, which he very well might.

skarocksoi
01-13-2007, 04:47 PM
Yeah, Alama-Francis will probably be a 4th rounder by draft day I'm betting. I agree with the fact that a lot of teams are using the 3-4 nowadays, but I think 3-4 linebackers are more prevalent than you think. At least, decent linebackers. Maybe not superstar game changers like Merriman or Demarcus Ware or the Porter of old, but decent guys who are serviceable. I think D Lineman are much harder to find, especially NT's. Of the teams that run the 3-4, the Chargers, the Pats, and us are the only teams with good a good NT. This draft is really weak for 3-4 D lineman and I think teams like the Jets and the 49ers will go there early. So while a guy like Alama-Francis might be in higher demand, linebackers should be available. Plus, there seem to be a lot of smaller DE's that could possibly be converted in this draft.

Mr. Stiller
01-13-2007, 09:49 PM
Well, I thought I'd try my hand at a mock draft, so here goes. In this I've traded down with the Jets and recieved a 2nd rounder at pick number 50. I'm going to say they are trading up to grab Marshawn Lynch at 15 before Green Bay, but I also did a first round mock (well, part of one) where Alan Branch fell to 15. I didnt include any commentary, so if you have a question just ask away. Anyways, here it is. Tell me what you think

Steelers Mock
w/Trade

Rd 1 Anthony Spencer, DE/OLB Purdue

Rd 2 Dwayne Bowe, WR LSU

Rd 2 (trade w/Jets) Tony Hunt, RB Penn State

Rd 3 Desmond Bishop, MLB Cal

Rd 4a Nathan Bennett, OG Clemson

Rd 4b Dan Mozes, C WVU

Rd 6 Isaiah Stanback, QB Washington

I like it but i'd rather Rice/Meachem over Bowe.

And I like Mozes but i don't think Mozes is a need.

However I agree with the rest, except Stanback is slated at UDFA... after his injury... And spencer is horrible. I wsas on the spencer bandwagon. But he was getting blocked 1 on 1 by the TE of Maryland. Jarvis Moss declared and he's a much better pass rushing prospect than Anthony Spencer.

Sgt Pepper
01-13-2007, 11:46 PM
Jarvis Moss may actually be worth the pick at 15 after workouts. He reminds me a lot of Manny Lawson who wasn't supposed to go as high as he did until after he timed good.

Moss ran a 4.48 at the nike camp in HS and could possibly run better now.

Sgt Pepper
01-13-2007, 11:49 PM
Moss also doesn't appear to be real solid. He's kinda lanky and may need to get stronger at the next level.

Mr. Stiller
01-14-2007, 12:16 AM
Moss also doesn't appear to be real solid. He's kinda lanky and may need to get stronger at the next level.

Jason Taylor is 6'6 230lbs and is the DPOY at OLB/DE... Moss is 6'6 260lbs.

Mr. Stiller
01-14-2007, 12:19 AM
Latest mock...

we trade down with the Jets for their 1st, 2nd(Washington) and their 4th.

1) Sidney Rice, WR, South Carolina

One of the best Pure WR prospects. We really had hoped Plaxico would have developed into a game changer and dominant WR. Well Rice can be that guy. He has a good work ethic, is a solid WR, can spread the field. He's got a bit of a lanky build, however, he's still quick enough to be more than effective. He's good for Jump balls, has the best body control of a WR that I've seen since Larry Fitzgerald. Reliable Hands and not only makes circus catches, but can makes the ordinary catches as well. Gives us a solid #3 option. Lets Ced Wilson be a #4 which is where he's best. Also Nate Washington and Willie Reid can battle for the #4/#5 spots. Then by the time Ward Retires... He'll be primed to take over #1... Washington/Reid will be ready and developed for the #3 and #4 roles.

2a) Brian Leonard, H-Back, Rutgers

Brian Leonard is a monstrous Athlete. An amazing athlete, I wouldn't doubt him to put down a 4.39 to 4.49. He's also an amazing reciever, he's powerful enough to be a FB/Short Yardage back, Elite speed. Najeh Davenport is oft injured. Haynes should be cut. Leonard gives us depth behind Dan Kreider. A short yardage back. Also will be fast enough to line up at SE. Won't be blazing at WR, but will give us another recieving threat.

2b) Quentin Groves, OLB, Auburn

6'3 254lbs. Managed 10 Sacks in 13 games this season. 37 tackles ofwhich, 14 were for loss. He's got the speed, athleticism and he's a good attitude kid. He comes out too early for him and we get a steal. Next year he's at the top with Tommy Blake and Keith Rivers for 3-4 OLBs. so we get him a year early and start training him behind Porter. He's too small to be effective against the run right now, but give him a year or two of training and he'll be a monstrous OLB.

3) Desmond Bishop, ILB, California

I know everyone wants David Harris. I think Harris is a solid Run Plugger. But I think Bishop is better in every other aspect. Faster, better in coverage, bigger hitter, and smarter. A year or two behind Farrior and he'll be amazing.

4a) John Beck, QB, BYU

A tough leader. Has solid arm strength and the overall will to win. Learns behind Batch, removes St. Pierre and gives us 2 reliable backups. Also a future backup when Batch Retires.

4b) Nathan Bennett, OG, Clemson

Paved way for CJ Spiller and James Davis. a Potent SEC thunder and lightning attack. Very athletic and could develop into a great player. gives great depth, and a future starter.

4c) Ikaika Alama-Francis, DE, Hawaii

Broke Kipers top 25 but so did Hank Baskett. Francis is a 3-4 DE and bolsters solid size at 6'6 290lbs. He's agile and is a solid runstopper. 2 years experience in a 3-4 will also make him a great candidate for Pittsburgh. Our Token Samoan Steal?

5a) Stephon Heyer, OT, Maryland

I see us resigning Starks for a year. If not I see us giving him a 3rd round tender. Regardless. Willie has shown he's more than capable of locking down the RT position. He shut down the Ravens and Bengals. Heyer is a solid OT Prospect and athletic for his size. he's 6'6 321lbs and has seen plenty of good passrushers. Give us depth when Starks leaves. Or if Colon moves to RG. He played solidly against Mario Williams,MannyLawson, Gaines Adams. Just to name a few and has gaurded Sam Hollenbachs blind side for 2 years.

5B) Ben Patrick, TE, Delaware

A 6'4 270 TE that could play Tackle. Gives us a solid Blocker to move Jerame Tuman into retirement.

6) Antwaan Applewhite, OLB, San Diego State

A Junior that at 6'4 245 lbs. Declared a year early for himself, but could be a solid ST Player and gives us another depth player a la James Harrison. He has the size/stature to play OLB, and if need be, could give depth inside. Strong at the point of attack, strong enough against the run. Might not amount to much, but this kid has the ability, just needs coached and bulked up a bit.

7) Adam Podlesh, P, Maryland

Solid #'s, but the thing that sticks out to me is 0... Punts blocked in his career. Who better to replace the failing Gardocki? He also runs a 4.4 40' and he's certainly a monstrous Punter.

As for Coaching...

Seems we're telling Whis' Agent, to hold up for us to decide if he coaches somewhere... we're supposedly enamored for Rivera and working our ass off to sign him. If we don't get him Whis is our backup plan.

I hope if we get him he doesn't run a Tampa 2... i don't care if he runs the 3-4 with a tampa 2 Defensive Secondary.. which Anthony Smith is built for...

TerribleEd
01-14-2007, 12:57 AM
You can't run a 3-4 with a Cover-2 defensive secondary. It doesn't quite work that way.

Timing Could Not Be Better to Swith to a 4-3 Defense
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Consider these factors:

1. Coaching change
2. Successful organizations (and people, for that matter), continually reinvent themselves and evolve
3. We are on the verge of a nearly wholesale change at our LB positions, and right now the change would not be too difficult
4. Too many teams now running the 3-4
5. This years draft class is chock full of day one 4-3 talent, and so is the free agent market

Let me elaborate on each point:

1. Coaching change

Whoever gets hired as the Steelers next coach needs this to become his team, and mirror his personal identity. This should not be a situation where someone steps into a turn-key operation. This process shouldn't resemble a new small business entrepreneur purchasing a Papa John's franchise with all of the processes already in place.

From what I've heard, Mike Tomlin approached his interview as a young and flexible candidate who is willing to adopt defensive ideas that are new to him, because the incumbant defensive coordinator, who has so many more years of experience than himself, already has (what has been) a successful defensive scheme in place. In my opinion, Tomlin should be approaching this opportunity more aggressively. He should be pointing out the benefits of implementing the cover-2 scheme which he knows so well. He should persuasively sell the Steelers brass on the reasons the team should consider this change now, and remind the Rooney's that the cover-2 is basically the same defensive strategy that was utilized by the 1970's Steelers dynasty. (Someone please forward this message to Mr. Tomlin)

2.) Successful organizations continually reinvent themselves and evolve.

The 3-4 defense has served the Steelers well. For more than a decade, the Steelers have put on a clinic on how to run it.

However, intra-division (and conference) teams who play the Steelers regularly, have learned and are continuing to learn the 3-4's liabilities. When a good team (especially those who play the Steelers often), thoroughly understands the 3-4's strength's and weaknesses, then the effect of confusion (which the 3-4 is designed to create) is diminshed, while the opportunities to exploit it's weaknesses increase.

It's time to throw our opponents a curve ball when it comes to both game planning and execution against the Steelers defense.

3. We are on the verge of a nearly wholesale change at our LB positions, and right now the change would not be too difficult

Porter and Haggans are entering the final year of their current contracts. They, as well as Farrior, are getting old in football years.

Porter is capable of playing 4-3 DE, at least for one season (which is probably his last). Smallish for the position, yes, but he'll be no more or no less effective as a DE than he is as an OLB.

Larry Foote is capable of playing one of the 4-3 linebacking positions, at least as well as he plays one in the 3-4 (you make your own mind up on that one).

Farrior is capable of playing the middle for the short remainder of his Steeler career.

Fat Casey is capable of playing the 4-3 DT position.

Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel can not play in the 4-3, but both would be readily trade-able. Keisel, being young, is good for a late day one draft choice, especially when considering how many other teams are now running the 3-4. Aaron Smith, with one year left on his contract and still considered one of the best 3-4 DE's in the business, could readily be traded to a team that has just transitioned into the 3-4 (like the Jets or 49ers) in return for one of their 4-3 leftovers (Could be a DE or a DT).

The defensive backs would have no problem with the transition. In fact, the defensive backs may become a stronger unit in 4-3, especially the cover-2. The 3-4 is a demanding defense for corners, and is also demanding on the Steeler's free safety, who currently must play overly conservative while Polamalu does his thing all over the field (this may still be the case after the switch, but not in the cover-2).

Unfortunately, I don't see a 4-3 position for Haggans, and doubt he carries much, if any, trade value (too expensive for what you get). However, his contract is done after 2007.

4. Too many teams now running the 3-4

Gone are the days when the Steelers could sit back and wait to take an undersized DE or DT in Rd 3 or beyond (i.e. Joey Porter, Clark Haggans, Jason Gildon, Aaron Smith, and even Mike Vrabel).

In fact, it's now just the opposite. With more teams running the 3-4 undersized DE's and DT's who look the part are actually being drafted earlier than they would otherwise. This causes 3-4 teams to sometime reach for a prospect (i.e. Alonzo Jackson).

This, in itself, is a huge reason to transition now.

5. This years draft class is chock full of day one 4-3 talent, and so is the free agent market

Let's look at this 4-3 DE and LB draft class:

Linebackers: Paul Posluszny, Buster Davis, HB Blades, Rufus Alexander, Lawrence Timmons, and Earl Everett are all prototypical 4-3 LB prospects.

Defensive Ends: Gaines Adams, Charles Johnson, Jamaal Anderson, Victor Abiamiri, Jarvis Moss, and LaMarr Woodley are all prototypical 4-3 DE prospects. (I have seen some of these guys considered as 3-4 OLB candidates, but every one of them are better suited for the 4-3 DE position, IMO).

Free Agents: While the Steelers are obviously not known for making big moves in free agency, there are 4-3 DE's and DT's available, including Dwight Freeney, Jared Allen, Vonnie Holliday, Justin Smith, and Terdell Sands, to name some.

There you have it. Can you argue against my reasoning?

skarocksoi
01-14-2007, 11:32 AM
I think switching defensive schemes is a bad idea for several reasons.

1) We don't have the right guys to run another scheme as effectively as we run the 3-4. We could theoretically switch to something else and have guys that can sortof play the position, but why would we? You would be switching from a scheme that is proven to work to one that might work with the guys we have.

2)Our defense is good. Sure, we had a bad year this year, but its not like every team out there has unlocked the mysteries of the 3-4 and we are doomed to failure. Our biggest problem on defense this year a lack of pressure on opposing QB's and we were still ranked 11 in total sacks at the end of the year. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

3)Troy Polamalu. The man is the key to our defense and everything we like to do, and frankly, I dont think he would have the same effect in another scheme than he does in the 3-4. You never know what he's doing and whether or not he is blitzing or going into coverage which confuses QBs. Why switch defenses to one that would limit one of your franchise players?

I know you can't just do the same thing forever and hope it works, and I like the idea of bringing in fresh new ideas, but you need to find the right time to do it. I really dont think this is the right time to do it, and I think adjusting our scheme and throwing in some new twists is a better idea than completely overhauling it.

Sgt Pepper
01-14-2007, 11:51 AM
Just read on pft that Whisenhunt was hired by arizona. Don't know how true this is.

mikehop05
01-14-2007, 12:17 PM
you can run a cov. 2 out of the 3 - 4 actually, its really not that different than how you run it with the 4 - 3 only one player ruses from the linebacker spot instead of off the line

i wouldnt mind us doing what the dolphins do and running some 3 - 4 and some 4 - 3... switch it up a bit

mikehop05
01-14-2007, 12:21 PM
yeah whis is gone

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2731184

lets go tomlin!

steel man
01-14-2007, 12:23 PM
on ESPN's NFL CD they had Ben on there and Boomer just asked Ben what he thought about Whis going to ARZ and if he will miss him so Whis is gone too bad. We must be looking for another hard a@@ like Cowher was, which is fine with me. i just hate losing Whis because he made our O really good. the only good thing is he went to the NFC, just hope we dont meet in the SB one of these years. the same goes for Cowher, if or when he comes back and IF he goes to a different team then i hope it is a NFC team and we don't meet in the SB.

steel man
01-14-2007, 12:28 PM
maybe the reason Whis is gone is because we want a short tearm deal and everyone knows that we are waiting for Cowher to come back and take his place back on top. if Cowher stays out of football untill his girl goes to college then that will be 2 years so maybe we are trying to find someone to sign a 2 year deal and then Cowher can have his place back.

do you guys think that could maybe happen.

mikehop05
01-14-2007, 12:30 PM
Cowher apparently advised the rooneys not to hire either of his assistants, sayying they really were not cut out for the job

As long as the steelers keep whipple on as their QB coach and keep Bruce Arians on to maybe be the OC our offense shouldnt miss a beat

Riveria or Tomlin

I still think Tomlin, but I will be happy with both

mikehop05
01-14-2007, 01:37 PM
some highlight reels for some possible picks for us...

Sidney Rice -
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vyTyCnw7AH8&mode=related&search=

Dwayne Jarrrett -
http://youtube.com/watch?v=z_5bjf0x9to&mode=related&search=

Patrick Willis -
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_bM4sEmaFLQ :shock:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=sVaa8NWqync

Jarvis Moss -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALgXNf-5c5c
not much for him, but you can get an idea of his ups here, (he blocked the kick)

Ikaika Alama Francis -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCdifezdSQY&mode=related&search=
not much but if you have never seen him you can get a glimpse, you can also tell his dedication in this short interview

skarocksoi
01-14-2007, 02:09 PM
Cowher apparently advised the rooneys not to hire either of his assistants, sayying they really were not cut out for the job

As long as the steelers keep whipple on as their QB coach and keep Bruce Arians on to maybe be the OC our offense shouldnt miss a beat

Riveria or Tomlin

I still think Tomlin, but I will be happy with both

Where did you hear about Cowher saying that? I'm curious because if thats true, it could really change the coaching search. I'm also wondering why he said that as well.

mikehop05
01-14-2007, 02:40 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07014/753766-66.stm

"He did not recommend his two assistants, Russ Grimm and Ken Whisenhunt, as his successor. Not only that, he practically advised the Steelers to look elsewhere for their next head coach."

richdg
01-14-2007, 03:31 PM
That was this writers opinion. Nothing more. I think on Monday either Grimm or Gailey will be named coach. My bet is on Grimm, it always has been.

mikehop05
01-14-2007, 03:36 PM
That was this writers opinion. Nothing more. I think on Monday either Grimm or Gailey will be named coach. My bet is on Grimm, it always has been.

"He did not recommend his two assistants, Russ Grimm and Ken Whisenhunt, as his successor. Not only that, he practically advised the Steelers to look elsewhere for their next head coach."

how can that be an opinion?

i wouldnt like gailey... grimm maybe but i want tomlin or rivera

AdrianWilson12
01-14-2007, 03:38 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07014/753766-66.stm

Well that doesn't bode well for us, given the Cardinals have just hired Whisenhunt.

I was wondering if you guys could give me some infomation on Whisenhunt, strengths, weaknesses, personality, schemes, ect. Do you think he will work out well as a head coach? (Or at least better than the O coordinator who went to Buffalo)

mikehop05
01-14-2007, 03:41 PM
i started to on ur page :)

NFLBOY
01-14-2007, 03:43 PM
Gailey might be a very good pick. He was our O-cordinator in the 90's when we had good teams and lebeau was our D-cordinator. This could be a very good move.

mikehop05
01-14-2007, 03:50 PM
Gailey was okay in dallas, 8 - 8 and then 10 - 6, but wasn't that impressive at Ga. Tech.

He is too old for me for the HC, wouldnt mind him as the OC but that prolly wont happen...

i want a young gun like tomlin or rivera

AdrianWilson12
01-14-2007, 05:20 PM
i started to on ur page :)

Yeah kind of realised I invaded your thread afterwards. Thanks for the post on our section, it was a good help.

I'll add a Pittsburge based question to balance it out.

Hows Bryant Mcfadden coming along? Does he look like long term starter material?

mikehop05
01-14-2007, 05:24 PM
i dont know.. he showed a lot of promise at the end of last year, but hasn't really built off of that...

he had an up and down season this year but i think he will pull it together and grab a starting spot next year

Smooth Criminal
01-14-2007, 05:26 PM

I think if they wanted to sign Grimm he would have been signed already. They either havn't found who they want or they are waiting for Rivera. I find it hard to believe that they havn't already decided who they want because they havn't held anywhere near as many interviews as the other teams.

I really think they're waiting for Chicago to lose so they can negotiate with Rivera.

richdg
01-14-2007, 06:50 PM
How can it be opinion? Well, who is the source? Cowher never said anything like that at any press conference. It was also widely reported that Cowher was leaving because he wanted more money. Never heard him say anything like that either.
Over the past couple of years Cowher has given both Whiz and Grimm endorsements to other teams. He strongly recommended Grimm to the Bears. Then to keep Grimm he made him an Assistant Head Coach. The "statement" and the actions don't match. 15 years ago, the Steelers interveiwed just about everyone to become the new head coach. This time, they had their list. They also happen to be very loyal. This is why Gailey was added. I really don't care who they hire. Don't forget the Rooney Rule about minority hirings. Also, with the Bears winning today, I don't think Riveria will get the job. I don't see tehm waiting another 1-3 weeks till they hire the new coach. Monday or Tuesday they will name the new coach.

NFLBOY
01-14-2007, 08:03 PM
Maybe they are going to talk to cam now that the chargers are done. Also, maybe Marty ball could be in Pittsburgh. There are alot of ifs in this situation. I think I would rather see Grimm. This way the O is not having to learn a new playbook. Also like I said in an earlier post, I think Grimm would bring a killer instinct that whiz wouldn't and what Cowher didn't have. I love Cowher, but he didn't actually have the killer instinct at times.

Hines
01-14-2007, 08:13 PM
i made a mock draft. tell me how yall like it.

rd 1: jarvis moss olb flordia
rd 2: tony ugoh ot arkansas
rd 3: desmond bishop ilb california
rd 4: dallas baker wr flordia
rd 5: jeff rowe qb nevada
rd 6: deshawn wynn rb flordia
rd 7: larry brown dt/de oklahoma state

DeathbyStat
01-15-2007, 09:46 AM
This sucks I wanted Whisenhunt as I thought they would certainly stay inside the organization.

I wanted the steelers to go outside the organization, I think Rivera is the best overall candidate....he has to concede the D to Dick.

If Rivera can't do this I want Cam Cameron OC of San Diego

mikehop05
01-15-2007, 10:34 AM
i made a mock draft. tell me how yall like it.

rd 1: jarvis moss olb flordia

I have jumped on the Moss band wagon also as of late, I can't wait to see his combine #'s.

rd 2: tony ugoh ot arkansas

I think Ugoh is alright, but I feel if we were to go linemen here we should really look at Joe Staley

rd 3: desmond bishop ilb california

Hadn't really heard about him till Stiller said something, I saw him in the bowl game and is pretty impressive

rd 4: dallas baker wr flordia

Eh... I don't see him developing much at the next level.. but a big frame to throw to none the less

rd 5: jeff rowe qb nevada

May make a suitable back up... and that is pretty much all I see him being

rd 6: deshawn wynn rb flordia

I don't feel like we really need another running back of this stature... we have enough capable third down backs as it is...

rd 7: larry brown dt/de oklahoma state

Don't have much to say about this guy, don't really know him

mikehop05
01-15-2007, 10:40 AM
I think it is interesting to note that the Steelers have not taken a linebacker in the first round for at least the last 15 years, I don't know if this is their trend or just coincidence.

Also, they picked WR's in the first round two years in a row with Troy Edwards and then Plaxico...

skarocksoi
01-15-2007, 11:06 AM
Looking at past draft history is kinda stupid in my opinion because no draft is ever the same so you cant assume a team will do the same thing as they have in the past. Also, I don't really know about Cowher advising against his assistants. First off, why would he tell someone not to hire the guys that he had under him? If he didn't think they could coach, they wouldn't be coaching under him. Plus, I don't think Cowher would give a negative endorsement about his own guys. I dont think he's that kind of guy. I also think that Ed Bouchette, while he may have some connections to the organization, is a rather negative and pessimistic guy and twists things to make them seem bad. He had a whole article that made it seemed like Cowher hated the Rooneys and thats why he left. He just wants to write a story that people will read so he keeps his job. Cowher probably said something like "There are a lot of good coaches out there" and Bouchette twisted it around or something. Thats my thoughts anyways.

mikehop05
01-15-2007, 11:14 AM
Looking at past draft history is kinda stupid in my opinion because no draft is ever the same so you cant assume a team will do the same thing as they have in the past. Also, I don't really know about Cowher advising against his assistants. First off, why would he tell someone not to hire the guys that he had under him? If he didn't think they could coach, they wouldn't be coaching under him. Plus, I don't think Cowher would give a negative endorsement about his own guys. I dont think he's that kind of guy. I also think that Ed Bouchette, while he may have some connections to the organization, is a rather negative and pessimistic guy and twists things to make them seem bad. He had a whole article that made it seemed like Cowher hated the Rooneys and thats why he left. He just wants to write a story that people will read so he keeps his job. Cowher probably said something like "There are a lot of good coaches out there" and Bouchette twisted it around or something. Thats my thoughts anyways.

yeah that makes sense, journalists are afterall... journalists, they get paid to write / create stories that people will read

but honestly assistants don't always make great Head Coaches, although they are good assistant coaches, and maybe thats what bill was after, who knows... but you are right, ed prolly did twist his words around to create a story

yeah looking at past drafts isnt necissarily an indicator, but i felt it was pretty interesting

skarocksoi
01-15-2007, 12:14 PM
I was looking at our past draft history at nfl.com and saw that too, and I'd have to say its a testiment to our ability to draft extremely well and Colberts ability to scout guys and pick the ones that fit the best for us. I'm always pretty confident that we'll come away from a draft with a couple guys that can eventually be good football players. I think we are going to have to try to get linebackers as early as anyone else due to more teams switching over to the 3-4 and guys like Porter who used to slip into later rounds are now getting picked up a lot earlier. But again, I'm confident we'll pick up someone who will be able to make an impact on our team next year.

On a side note, does anyone know whos in the front running to be our next coach, and who has been asked back for a second interview.

mikehop05
01-15-2007, 12:20 PM
i have no idea,

latest i heard the steelers placed a call to mike sherman so who knows

logic would point to grimm but i just dont think he will get the job

richdg
01-15-2007, 12:49 PM
The Steelers had [ermission to talk to Sherman, but decided to not bring him in. Everything I have read leans toward Grimm being named this week sometime. I wish they would name however it is already.
Because we don't know the coach it is hard to do a mock or even judge one. We don't know the systems to be used. We all talk about needing help at LB, but if we switch to a 4-3, we need more help at DL. We only have 1 NFL quality DT on the team-Hampton. Then the issues at LB largely disappear. Same with the OL. If we go to the large road grader types, we have some already. So, till we know the coach, it is all a crap shoot.

mikehop05
01-15-2007, 01:10 PM
The Steelers had [ermission to talk to Sherman, but decided to not bring him in. Everything I have read leans toward Grimm being named this week sometime. I wish they would name however it is already.
Because we don't know the coach it is hard to do a mock or even judge one. We don't know the systems to be used. We all talk about needing help at LB, but if we switch to a 4-3, we need more help at DL. We only have 1 NFL quality DT on the team-Hampton. Then the issues at LB largely disappear. Same with the OL. If we go to the large road grader types, we have some already. So, till we know the coach, it is all a crap shoot.

yeah thats true, and to be honest our ends are prototypical 4 - 3 ends, porter may be able to play end and smith would be decent but we would have very little depth on the whole line

even hampton can't play more than 4 downs without a breather :lol:

i dont see us going to the 4 - 3 though, not this season at least... we are not in a rebuilding year so it wouldnt make sense to switch it up on everyone and make them uncomfortable

diabsoule
01-15-2007, 02:58 PM
For those of you who don't have Steelers avatars, here are some I'm hosting:

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/8810/gparker275rx6.jpg
(Willie Parker)

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/2776/troypolamaluec7.jpg
(Troy Polamalu)

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/1600/pittsburghsteelersxo9.jpg
(Steelers Logo)

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/8657/jeromebettis240x200mz0.jpg
(Jerome Bettis)

If you have an image you want me to make into an avatar please let me know.

mikehop05
01-15-2007, 03:13 PM
can i use the ben one?

ill take it off if it isnt

THav916
01-15-2007, 03:19 PM
If the Steelers are making a coaching decision hoping to get a guy for 10 years plus (we are after all, the Steelers), do you guys really think we should base the decision on what personnel is better right now? I was hesitant on the switch at first, but the more I think about it, the most I just want the best candidate, no matter what system he runs. If we have to take 1 step backwards to go 5 forwards, I'm fine with that. Of our candidates I personally like Grimm, Rivera, and Tomlin.

mikehop05
01-15-2007, 03:32 PM
I really like Tomlin and Rivera, Grimm being my second if those two are not picked.

What makes Tomlin and Rivera so appealing besides just shaking things up a bit is that they are so young, Tomlin especially. He is the same age Cowher was when he was hired. Grimm is not that old, but he is not young either.

Sgt Pepper
01-15-2007, 03:41 PM
I really think that the Steelers target is Rivera.

If the Steelers had really wanted one of the in house guys they would have signed them earlier. They're not just going to sign Grimm because Whisenhunt is out of the picture. If they wanted Whisenhunt they would have had him locked up before Arizona. If they really wanted Grimm it would have been done already. They're not just going to take Grimm by default.

I feel the same way about Tomlin, they could have had a deal with him if that's who they wanted.

The Steelers are either waiting for Rivera, or they actually don't know who they want.

mikehop05
01-15-2007, 03:53 PM
Yeah, who knows what the hold up is...

It does make sense that they are waiting for Rivera.

I just have a good feeling about Tomlin, I can see him energizing Porter, Starks, all those bums who sucked this year.

Smooth Criminal
01-15-2007, 04:21 PM
It was just on the news that the Steelers have cut it down to Rivera, Tomlin and Grimm.

I read on another site that Grimm has been inside the Steelers offices all day and that it is likely he's negotiating a deal.

My pick would be Rivera but we might have to wait 3 weeks to get him. I'd definately take Grimm over Tomlin.

mikehop05
01-15-2007, 04:27 PM
Don't they know they have to make a decision soon so I can make a mock draft for them, based on the coaches preference of players and such?

Jeez.

Smooth Criminal
01-15-2007, 04:33 PM
Steelers name three finalists for coach

Monday, January 15, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers announced today that they have narrowed their search for a head coach to three -- Russ Grimm, Mike Tomlin and Ron Rivera.

Grimm is their assistant head coach and line coach. Tomlin is defensive coordinator of the Vikings and Rivera defensive coordinator of the Bears.
Tomlin will have his second interview with the Steelers tomorrow. Grimm will be interviewed Wednesday. The Steelers cannot interview Rivera again until after the Bears either lose in the NFC championship game Sunday or until after the Feb. 4 Super Bowl.
__________________________________________________ ___________

Looks like we'll be waiting to interview Rivera again. If the coaching search goes on after Grimm and Tomlin both get a 2nd interview, Rivera would have to be the leading candidate. Theres no way they'd wait 3 extra weeks to interview Rivera if Grimm or Tomlin is the guy they want.

mikehop05
01-15-2007, 04:56 PM
good find,

glad to hear they are at least making progress... and making 2nd interviews

skarocksoi
01-15-2007, 05:44 PM
Yeah, I'm glad they are giving us infor as this goes along so we aren't stuck in the dark the whole time.

I know everybody thinks that Rivera might be our target since this is taking awhile, but I'm gonna play devil's advocate and throw out some things. First, you dont want to rush into getting a coach, especially with the history of coaches we've had here. If we pick up a guy who ends up getting fired after 2 or 3 bad years it will look like a colossal failure by the management. Secondly, it doesn't seem like any of these three guys are really being sought after by a lot of teams. Maybe Rivera, but no one can really talk to him until the Bears are done. So why rush when you can pick who you want in the time frame you want. I don't think they really wanted to get Whiz, otherwise they would have made a better effort to get him once other teams showed there interest. I have no real info, I just wanted to throw a wrench in the works and keep people on their toes.

Anyways, all three coaches are pretty interesting and could bring in a new attitude to this team. Tomlin is really interesting to me, but I'm afraid he just doesn't have the experience in the NFL to be completely effective as a coach. We'll see though.

Smooth Criminal
01-15-2007, 05:58 PM
I think Tomlin has interviewed for every job open except the Raiders. But Atlanta and Arizona are out, Miami is supposedly looking at Gailey and Brian Schottenheimer as the favorites. Tomlin seems to be off of everyones radar except ours.

I think its possible that they arn't even thta impressed with Tomlin but they are just keeping him around as a finalist because of how hard they pushed for the minority rules. Having 2 out of our 3 finalists being minorities looks good for Rooney, even if we don't hire one of them.

diabsoule
01-15-2007, 07:53 PM
I think the list, in order, is Rivera, Tomlin, Grimm. They want a young guy, someone that will be the with franchise for a while and Rivera and Tomlin give them that guy. Grimm is too old for the job, in my opinion.

mikehop05
01-15-2007, 08:08 PM
I really do not know what to think...

Part of me thinks they are giving second interviews to Tomlin and Grimm because they have to kill some time for Rivera to see if he loses...

Also, part of me thinks they are keeping Grimm around out of respect to him.

Who knows.

Smooth Criminal
01-15-2007, 08:10 PM
I think we'll have a better guess by this weekend. If the Bears win we'd have to wait 2 more weeks to interview Rivera. I can't see them waiting the 2 weeks if they've been overly impressed with Tomlin or Grimm. If they drag this ou into next week I think it will point to Rivera being the target.

Both Tomlin and Rivera would want to install a 4-3 defense. I really don't think it would be that hard to do with what we have now.

The front 4 would be Aaron Smith, Casey Hamtpon, Chris Hoke and our first rounder. Porter and Haggans would be to small to play on the end all the time and Kiesel to slow. A guy like Jamall Anderson could fall to us at 15.

Linebackers would be Farrior-Foote-Haggans. One of our current starters has to lose his job and I think it would be Porter. He is probably going to hold out and he isn't nearly as valueable to us in a 4-3 as he was in a 3-4. If he holds out he'll be traded for some draft picks. Farrios played OLB in NY before he signed with us and moved to the inside so he has some experience there.

skarocksoi
01-15-2007, 08:24 PM
I think people go a little crazy with Grimms age. He's only 48. Your average coach is only around for a few years, and with our history I'm sure we'd like it longer, but he could easily give us 6 or so good years before even thinking abut retiring. Hell, he could do 10-15 if he still has the drive. Dick Vermeil coached into his late 60's.

mikehop05
01-15-2007, 08:37 PM
Lets review and grade the Steelers '06 Draft... Then maybe we can post it on the thread now about teams draft grades, or not, doesn't matter.

1. Santonio Holmes (B-) - He recieved decent playing time throughout the year, especially as a rookie. Though inconsistent in the return game in holding onto the ball, he was a decent reciever for us and I think he will become the #2 for us next year.

3 a. Anthony Smith (B-) - At first I was shocked we didn't go with Ko Simpson or Pat Watkins, or another safety of the type, however, the Steelers did a great job in scouting as Anthony proved to be pretty good in the second half of the year when he got some PT. Blew a few coverages, though it seemed to be due to mis-communication and not that he was beat. Really a hard hitter who needs to wrap up more, but seems to be a reliable tackler.

3 b. Willie Reid (N/A) - IR

4 a. Willie Colon (B) - Really was pretty good for a rookie, or for anyone in his two starts. Obviously has much to learn as a rookie, but seemed to grasp the game quickly. A bruiser who probably will compete with Starks for the RT job next year. Could turn out to be a steal.

4 b. Orien Harris (F) - Got a lot of us excited over the potential, but was cut and now is with the Browns.

5 a. Omar Jacobs (F) - Not a pro-caliber QB. Cut by us, signed by the Eagles, and then cut again.

5 b. Charles Davis (F) - Cut and is now with the Giants I believe. Lost out in his chance at a spot to a UDFA, Dekker.

6. Marvin Phillip (C) - Made the team, I do not believe he got any PT, but will probably compete with Okobi if Hartings retires.

7. Cedric Humes (N/A) - on the IR also.

Overall, I would say we did about a B-/C+ on the draft. Holmes will most likely start next year and so could Smith and Colon. Three starters after a year is not bad, and Willie Reid will hopefully get healthy and will be able to return kicks / punts for us, thus making Holmes look not as bad anymore. But, we struck out in the 4th / 5th, which is understandable it happens a lot. A solid draft, not spectacular but by no means bad.

Smooth Criminal
01-15-2007, 08:48 PM
I think Smith and Holmes deserve high grades than Colon. Colon only started 2 games.

Holmes had a great year when you consider the fact that he was our #4 reciever most of the year. His stats are very good for a guy who played #2 all year. He had more catches, yards and TDs than Randle El did his last year with us. I'd give him a B when you consider how he performed on special teams.

Smith deserves atleast a B+ maybe A-. You have to remember he was a 3rd rounder and he started the last 4 games of the year for us and will msot likely come into next year as a starter.

Anyone who comes in and takes over a starting spot in their rookie year deserves atleast a B+ IMO.

mikehop05
01-15-2007, 08:59 PM
Well Holmes' had his fair share of ups and downs, but maybe i was being a little too hard on him. But, a B- isnt bad. And yeah you are right i acutally ment to put a - next to Colon.

Smith took over because of injury to Clark, and though he kept it and played well he did have some blown coverages and honestly I did not see all of the Bengals game.. so I graded him on his performence of the Tampa game (he came in the 2nd half) then the Panthers where he did well, and the Ravens, where he blew a few coverages. A B- is pretty good though.

DeathbyStat
01-16-2007, 07:29 AM
Adam Carriker in scott's newest mock. I'm not digging it.

Godsend
01-16-2007, 09:02 AM
Do you guys think that if we go with Rivera as new HC will switch from the 3-4 to the Cover 2 scheme?
Personally, I would not like it very much...

slingblade
01-16-2007, 10:24 AM
What makes me nervous about a possible switch to a cover 2 is that this type of defense is known for a weakness in passing over the middle of the field. There is room there for the receivers to move and when we are playing a team like the Bengals that could be a problem. Also not a fan of Tomlin. Yes his defense is in the top five against the run, but it is also in the worst five against the pass. The Steelers' passing defense is pretty mediocre as it is and doesn't need to be weakened anymore. If it was up to me (which it obvisously isn't) I would go with Grimm or Rivera. I personally think they are waiting on Rivera, especially since the departure of Whisenhunt.

Also what is everyone's thoughts on the Steelers possibly drafting another receiver in the first round with Dwayne Jarrett? I agree that the Steelers need a large Plaxico type receiver down the field, but I don't think that is Jarrett's style of play. I could be wrong. Maybe if someone who is more familiar with his play could help me out, it would be much appreciated. I would like to see them go with Paul Pus. in the first.

skarocksoi
01-16-2007, 11:23 AM
Adam Carriker in scott's newest mock. I'm not digging it.

Me either. A lot. I thought Blalock was bad, but at least it made sense. This is just even worse. If anything was pretty consistant this year, it was our front 3 guys so I dont know why we would take a guy in that position in the first round. Especially a guy who had a mediocre senior season and is projected by most to be a second rounder. I think it shows what kind of position we are in, as no one can really pin down what we might do in the first round. As the draft moves closer, I'm thinking more and more that we are going to trade down, possibly to the jets and pick up their second rounder to move down in the first round and take a guy like Joe Staley or some tweener DE/OLB. Im thinking they would like to pick up a guy like Lynch, who's been likened to a poor man's LaDanian Tomlinson. But who really knows what will happen. I think the Steelers are going to suprise a lot of people with what they do in the first.

mikehop05
01-16-2007, 12:38 PM
i dont like the carriker pick either, i just made a big post on the line - draft thread about it, lots of stats and reasons why, hopefully scott will reconsider come next mock draft

richdg
01-16-2007, 02:57 PM
I like Carriker, just not in the first. If he is our second round pick, that would be fine. This becomes more important if we switch the a 4-3. But on most boards, Carriker is somewhere between 40 and 50 in terms of value. So for him to go at 15, makes no sense. As for the player himself, he is a carbon copy of A. Smith. A player I wish we had more of. So as a player, Carriker is fine. Not a good 1st round pick though.
Again, utill we have our new coach, it is impossible to do a mock that really makes sense. All we know is our weaknesses from last year. Those could be changed by the schemes we run.

richdg
01-16-2007, 03:12 PM
Took a look at the top 100 as ranked by Scott. If we take the players at 15, 47, and 79-our picks in the first 3 rounds, we would end up with: Jarrett WR, Woodley OLB, and Blades ILB. Not a bad draft all in all.

Smooth Criminal
01-16-2007, 04:12 PM
If we stay in a 3-4 next year I think this is a good pick. Aaron Smith is getting old and there really isn't anyone for the future behind him. Carriker is very much like Aaron Smith and I think Smith is a very underrated player. With not great linebacker prospect at this point, Carriker might just be the best pick.

Of course Jarrett would be better.

mikehop05
01-16-2007, 04:45 PM
If we stay in a 3-4 next year I think this is a good pick. Aaron Smith is getting old and there really isn't anyone for the future behind him. Carriker is very much like Aaron Smith and I think Smith is a very underrated player. With not great linebacker prospect at this point, Carriker might just be the best pick.

Of course Jarrett would be better.

we dont pick 3 - 4 ends in the first round - there is no point

all of our ends that played for us over the past couple years have all been 2nd day picks, and they have all turned out very well, so why change it?

and yeah richdg, you are right, those would be money picks for us.

skarocksoi
01-16-2007, 07:02 PM
I think I would only be happy right now with a trade down or Jarrett in the first round. Otherwise, I don't think we could get the value for a guy we would pick. I don't mind picking a guy a little early if he's a good player, but a whole round early is crazy. If you look at Scott's top 100 prospects, there are some good prospects in the 20's I wouldn't mind picking up, so a trade down wouldn't be horrible. I just hope the Jets fall in love with Lynch at the combine and try to trade up with us to get him.

Smooth Criminal
01-16-2007, 09:39 PM
Looks like theres a couple of very good 4-3 DEs in this draft. I'd love to land a guy like Anderson if we do end up going to a 4-3.

On another note, PFT says that Grimm will be given the job sometime this week.

BigRob
01-16-2007, 10:15 PM
Grimm shouldn't count his chickens before they hatch just yet. I know the John Clayton and the rest of the Media believes Grimm is the leading candidate due to Whisenhunt being hired by Arizona, but www.kdka.com is reporting that Tomlin had a five hour second interview with the Rooney's and Colbert today. I don't know about you, but Cowher wasn't exactly the logical choice 15 years ago either. There is a very real possibility that the Rooney's go with Tomlin.

On a side note, in speaking to the media after the interview Tomlin briefly addressed the 3-4 or 4-3 defensive scheme. He said that he strongly believes in his "Cover-2" scheme, but also understands that you have to play to the strength of your defensive players and if that strength was a 3-4 instead of a 4-3 then you scheme around that.

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/940815.html

DeathbyStat
01-17-2007, 07:52 AM
I think Rivera is smart enough to realize that our team just won a super bowl using the 3-4. He would keep it for the time being and slowly tranform the team into a cover 2 team in the window of 3-4 years.(I'm assuming that if he gets the job it will be a 6 year deal...and its seems the Rooneys would honor it useless the team completely tanks but at that rate he would get atleast 3 years.) This really all for not as I fully expect for better or worse that Russ Grim will be the head coach.

If I was the Steelers I'd be going after Cam Camerion OC of the Chargers.

Lastly wasn't the Steel Curtain a Cover 2 defense.

DeathbyStat
01-17-2007, 08:24 AM
That cool that Tomlin is flexable.......

I think the bottom line for next years draft is we need a tall physical red zone target of a wide reciever.

A power back to compliment Parker.

A player that create pass rush.

Some would say that o-line and CB are our biggest concern but I think we need more depth at the postion more than anything else....but we do have youth at both positions we may want to sign cheap veteran or two at those positions.

The only other thing I think we need from the draft is a replacement for Farrior(I still think he has some years left but rookie wouldn't play the first year anyway) but farriors replacement is secondary to the needs up above.

I'm sure what the round these needs need to be addressed but I want want them to be addressed in the first four rounds. I don't know that combinations of round need and player will actually be.

Pass Rush

Round 1

1.Gaines Adams(These three probly arent going to happen)

2.Alan Branch

3.Jamal Anderson

Lawrence Timmons

Jarvis Moss

Round 2

Adam Carriker

Lamar Woodley

Quiton Moses

Charles Johnson

Anthony Spencer

Power Back
Round 2
Mike Bush

Round Three
Tony Hunt
Brian Leonard
Deshawn Wynn

Tall red zone Target
Round 1
Dwayne Jarrett
Sydney Rice

Round 2
Dwayne Bowe
Robert Mechum

Round 3-6
Dallas Baker
Matt Trannon
Jordan Kent
Fontel Mines

Farrior Replacment
Round 1
Pat Willis
Paul Poslouszny

round 2-4
Dave Harris
Anthony Waters
Desmond Bishop

richdg
01-17-2007, 09:20 AM
OK, a little coaching lesson. Cover 2 has nothing to do with the front 7. A cover 2 means nothing more than 2 deep S's. A Tampa Cover 2 adds a MLB to the deep drop. Both can and are used with a 3-4 D as well as a 4-3 D. Everyone gets to caught up in the names. A true cover 2 has 2 deep S's, each covering half the feild. It is a good D to stop a down the feild passing game. It is open in the middle of the feild. Thus, when attacking a cover 2, you need a good TE. So, to counter this, Dungy started to have the MLB drop deep into coverage as well. A Tampa Cover 2, really is a cover 3 D. It has 3 men deep. Each guy takes a third of the feild.
It doesn't matter which front you use, you can cover 2 or cover 3 with either one. In our 3-4, all we would have to do is drop Foote back deep, with the 2 S's. No real change to our D personnel. In fact, we can still zone blitz with a cover 2.

mikehop05
01-17-2007, 09:43 AM
OK, a little coaching lesson. Cover 2 has nothing to do with the front 7. A cover 2 means nothing more than 2 deep S's. A Tampa Cover 2 adds a MLB to the deep drop. Both can and are used with a 3-4 D as well as a 4-3 D. Everyone gets to caught up in the names. A true cover 2 has 2 deep S's, each covering half the feild. It is a good D to stop a down the feild passing game. It is open in the middle of the feild. Thus, when attacking a cover 2, you need a good TE. So, to counter this, Dungy started to have the MLB drop deep into coverage as well. A Tampa Cover 2, really is a cover 3 D. It has 3 men deep. Each guy takes a third of the feild.
It doesn't matter which front you use, you can cover 2 or cover 3 with either one. In our 3-4, all we would have to do is drop Foote back deep, with the 2 S's. No real change to our D personnel. In fact, we can still zone blitz with a cover 2.

yup, and we actually have ran cov. 2 a few times this season to change up our defensive look

mikehop05
01-17-2007, 09:58 AM
"I'm a fundamentalist as opposed to scheme. I think football is a tough-man's game, it's an attrition game. You win by stopping the run and being able to run the ball effectively-- and doing the things winners do, being a detailed-oriented football team, playing with great passion and executing.

- Mike Tomlin

Tell me that is not Steeler football right there.

richdg
01-17-2007, 11:14 AM
Anyone can say the right things. It is never about x's and o's, it is always about ecacution and motivation. That is the question I have with Tomlin. Will he be able to get the players prepared and motivated to play. it is hard to get a good read on a guy that young, that only has 1 year of experience as a DC.
Like I have said before, I really don't care who the new coach is. As long as they can do the job. Results are what matter. Not age, race, experience etc....

mikehop05
01-17-2007, 11:29 AM
Anyone can say the right things. It is never about x's and o's, it is always about ecacution and motivation. That is the question I have with Tomlin. Will he be able to get the players prepared and motivated to play. it is hard to get a good read on a guy that young, that only has 1 year of experience as a DC.
Like I have said before, I really don't care who the new coach is. As long as they can do the job. Results are what matter. Not age, race, experience etc....

i agree, but i think tomlin will be able to give us the best results, for a long time

Smooth Criminal
01-17-2007, 09:41 PM
I think were gonna see them go with one of the minorities. There doesn't seem to be a guy that has overly impressed them so with the candidates about even they go with affermative action and give the job to a minority.

I've seen a few of Tomlin's interviews and he has sounded good in what he has been saying. Rivera hasn't been talked about much because theres not much to talk about with him since he can't be interviewed.

Smooth Criminal
01-17-2007, 09:46 PM
TOMLIN TO TAKE GRIMM'S GIG?

At a time when pretty much everyone in the league and the media believe that the Steelers will promote offensive line coach Russ Grimm to the position vacated by Coach Chin, don't rule out Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin.

Though some in the organization also believe that Grimm will be the guy, the reality is that the decision will be made, in the end, by Steelers chairman Dan Rooney and team president Art Rooney II, who are being very tight-lipped (we're told) about their plans.

Tomlin is regarded by the organization as a great candidate, but his lack of experience is a concern. Due to the Buccaneers' standard refusal to allow assistant coaches under contract to leave for bigger jobs other than head coach, Tomlin was stuck in Tampa until his deal expired, and he has worked as a defensive coordinator for only one year.

The Steelers conducted a second interview of Tomlin on Tuesday, meeting with him for several hours before taking him to a Penguins game at Mellon Arena.

And unless Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette was merely looking for filler for his Wednesday item, the fact that he spent a full article getting the locals ready for the changes that would come if Tomlin gets the job could be a strong hint that Grimm might not be the guy who gets the gig.

We've said it before and we'll say it again -- we'd hire Tomlin. In a heartbeat. He instantly energized a Vikings defense that had played soft and loose and weak for most of the past decade. Sure, he's young; so were Bill Cowher and Chuck Noll.

And there's something to be said for learning on the job. Tomlin will improve, and the team that is employing him when he peaks will be a team that is annually in the conversation for the playoffs and the Super Bowl.

From PFT

EdReedUnstoppable
01-17-2007, 09:48 PM
Watch out Steelers fans, Ill be at Heinz Field for the Ravens @ Steelers in 07!!!!

skarocksoi
01-17-2007, 10:05 PM
My only problem with running the cover 2 is that it would limit Polamalu in what he does best, which is be all over the field to confuse offenses. If he is always dropping back into coverage, he won't really be as effective, and its never a good idea to limit one of your best defensive players. Now I'm not completely opposed to running a cover 2 occationally on obvious passing downs, and maybe to mix things up a bit, but not all the time.

mikehop05
01-17-2007, 10:05 PM
Watch out Steelers fans, Ill be at Heinz Field for the Ravens @ Steelers in 07!!!!

wearing black and gold, right?

mikehop05
01-17-2007, 10:07 PM
My only problem with running the cover 2 is that it would limit Polamalu in what he does best, which is be all over the field to confuse offenses. If he is always dropping back into coverage, he won't really be as effective, and its never a good idea to limit one of your best defensive players. Now I'm not completely opposed to running a cover 2 occationally on obvious passing downs, and maybe to mix things up a bit, but not all the time.

hes said it before and il lsay it not, he wont necessarily run the cov. 2. he will play to our strengths, and obviously he will use troy poly. honestly i dont think its as big ofa deal as people are making it out to be

mikehop05
01-17-2007, 10:11 PM
And about Tomlin, I have been saying it since the beginning...

He is the guy I want, and that was a great statement from the article Smooth Posted about energizing the vikings defense... it is very true

only bad thing about the defense was they were bad in the passing game but they really dont have much to work with in terms of secondary and pass rushers... but then again neither do we so, we'll see how that goes (if he gets the job)

they were pretty good in take aways though, which we were not really

EdReedUnstoppable
01-17-2007, 10:11 PM

Ill be wearing black but it will have #40 and Lynch (as in Marshawn Lynch) on the back with purple around the arms.

mikehop05
01-17-2007, 10:15 PM

Ill be wearing black but it will have #40 and Lynch (as in Marshawn Lynch) on the back with purple around the arms.

hahah well i hope not, i dont want to be playing against that guy for the next 8 - 10 years

steelersfan43
01-18-2007, 12:19 AM

hahah well i hope not, i dont want to be playing against that guy for the next 8 - 10 years

*runs and hides*

steel man
01-18-2007, 01:26 AM
guys! tell me what you think of my mock draft plus how i done it, i am not all done yet. if you like it i am going to try to do one for the whole draft for every team by the draft.

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/6905/draftji9.gif

(trade with jets for their 1st and 2nd for our 1st), plus everyone keeps giving us only 2 comp. picks (Randel El(a 4th or 5th), Chris Hope(a 4th or 5th), we should get a late pick for Kimo von Oelhoffen(a 6th)

1) Pat Willis
2) Brian Leonard
2A) Robert Mecachem
3) Desmond Bishop
4) Anthony Waters
4A) Nathan Bennett
5) Dan Mozes
5A) Ikaika Alama-Francis
6) ohn Beck
6A) Brandon Myles
7) Nate Ilaoa

this would give us 3 great LB's,a great FB/RB, 2 good handed, tall WR's, 2 good OL, a pass rushing, but strong run stuffing DE, a good young back up at QB, and a great short yardage, goal line, power back.

diabsoule
01-18-2007, 01:58 AM
Willis would be a tremendous fit for the Steelers because he can play in either position. ILB, OLB, 3-4, 4-3, whichever.

Smooth Criminal
01-18-2007, 09:45 AM
Scotts new mock sucks for us. Lynch in the first round is a joke.

Smooth Criminal
01-18-2007, 10:15 AM

Just because your base defense is a cover 2 doesn't mean you run it on every play. All cover 2 means is that you have 2 deep men that cover half of the field. Those 2 men don't have to be the safties. We could have coverages where we drop a FS and a CB, SS and a CB or both CBs even. With all of the zone coverages they ran last year you could still create some suprising blitzs by dropping different people back into coverage.

The cover 2 gives leaves you more versatility than you may think. I think a cover 2 would work well for us because we have 2 ball hawking safties in Anthony Smith and Troy Polamalu. Look at the Viking pass defense. Even though it was rated poorly and gave up alot of yards they had alot of INTs rom their 2 safties.

mikehop05
01-18-2007, 10:31 AM
Scotts new mock sucks for us. Lynch in the first round is a joke.

yeah that is a horrible pick, we do not need a willie parker clone

also, i dont like spencer in the second

:(

richdg
01-18-2007, 10:35 AM
A few random thoughts.
1. Everyone got excited about Tomlin meeting for 3.5 hours. Now Grimm has meet for 6 hours. I still think grimm is the man. But who knows. I will stick by the idea that we will know by the end of this week.
2. Lynch in the first isn't a bad idea. Sure we have needs, but when KC took LJ when they had Holmes is the perfect reason why it makes sense. Many compare Lynch to LT. Who wouldn't want that?

mikehop05
01-18-2007, 10:54 AM
A few random thoughts.
1. Everyone got excited about Tomlin meeting for 3.5 hours. Now Grimm has meet for 6 hours. I still think grimm is the man. But who knows. I will stick by the idea that we will know by the end of this week.
2. Lynch in the first isn't a bad idea. Sure we have needs, but when KC took LJ when they had Holmes is the perfect reason why it makes sense. Many compare Lynch to LT. Who wouldn't want that?

i dont know, it just seems to me that we have greater needs right now, and for an immediate impact i think jarrett is better than lynch

scott even has jarrett higher on his board, but in his reasoning on lynch he states "best player available"

i like michael bush more than i do marshan lynch

mikehop05
01-18-2007, 11:06 AM
The Pittsburgh media is lining up to lay some lips on the butt of Mike Tomlin.

-PFT

The reason for that:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07018/754788-66.stm

DeathbyStat
01-18-2007, 11:24 AM
If scotts mock plays out this way I would rather have Jarrett in the first and Bush in the second.

Does Lynch run with enough power? We need a banger that can get 2 yards on the third and 2.

mikehop05
01-18-2007, 11:27 AM
If scotts mock plays out this way I would rather have Jarrett in the first and Bush in the second.

Does Lynch run with enough power? We need a banger that can get 2 yards on the third and 2.

exactly, im going to youtube some clips of him now to get a looksie

anyone have any insight? i only saw him a handful of times this year playing

DeathbyStat
01-18-2007, 11:30 AM
Hell I'd rather have Tony Hunt in the third.

1st Round
Jarrett

2nd Round
Anthony Spencer

3rd Round
Tony Hunt

I wouldn't mind Pat Willis in the first round......why does Scott having him dropping to the end of the first. I'm a big PSU fan but I would take Willis over Paul but I mght rather have Paul than Timmons it would depend on what system I ran.

skarocksoi
01-18-2007, 11:33 AM
I don't like Lynch to us in the first, but you know who might like Lynch? The Jets! Maybe. If they do want to pick up first round talent at RB, Lynch is a good pick and we could easily trade down our first for the Jets 1st and 2nd.

I don't mind Spencer in the second if he puts up decent numbers at the combine. He had a good season this year against pretty good competition in the Big 10 on the bad defense of Purdue. Plus Purdue has a history of putting out some pretty good DE's, so I think he would work out alright. But there are a lot of decent picks that might be available late in the first if we can trade down.

mikehop05
01-18-2007, 11:33 AM
Hell I'd rather have Tony Hunt in the third.

me too, lynch is impressive though :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agiNBv_cl5o

DeathbyStat
01-18-2007, 11:44 AM
Looks dam good but I still don't know this is against PAC defense and this is a highlight tape....I want see this guy play in a game and grab some tough yardage against better teams.

I'm penn state season ticket holder and watching Hunt grind it out behind a make shift oline was impressive.

mikehop05
01-18-2007, 11:50 AM
oh yeah i love hunt too, my dad went there and i live on the MD/PA border (in md though) and we actually get a lot of penn state games, PSU is my 2nd fav. team to UMD (i go there), so i try to watch both as much as possible and ive loved watching hunt play, he is my type of football player - grind it out for 4 quarters, and he seems to never get tired, while the defense does

mikehop05
01-18-2007, 11:53 AM
I don't like Lynch to us in the first, but you know who might like Lynch? The Jets! Maybe. If they do want to pick up first round talent at RB, Lynch is a good pick and we could easily trade down our first for the Jets 1st and 2nd.

I don't mind Spencer in the second if he puts up decent numbers at the combine. He had a good season this year against pretty good competition in the Big 10 on the bad defense of Purdue. Plus Purdue has a history of putting out some pretty good DE's, so I think he would work out alright. But there are a lot of decent picks that might be available late in the first if we can trade down.

yeah that is a good call, and one that is VERY possible

i still do not like spencer over someone like woodley or alama francis in the second

DeathbyStat
01-18-2007, 11:53 AM
oh yeah i love hunt too, my dad went there and i live on the MD/PA border (in md though) and we actually get a lot of penn state games, PSU is my 2nd fav. team to UMD (i go there), so i try to watch both as much as possible and ive loved watching hunt play, he is my type of football player - grind it out for 4 quarters, and he seems to never get tired, while the defense does

More importantly he is "Steeler type of football player."

mikehop05
01-18-2007, 11:54 AM

More importantly he is "Steeler type of football player."

exactly! hard nosed, tough, no non-sense, and hes got that swagger, you gotta love him

DeathbyStat
01-18-2007, 12:03 PM
I think were in the good spot and I really like this draft as long we address the three needs.

Power Runner

Big Red Zone target

Pass Rusher

....and in a lesser vein a replacement for Farrior.

As far as first round I want Jarret...but I can live with Willis, Lynch or Jarret....or sleeper/work out warrior like Jarvis Moss, anyone else is unacceptable.

mikehop05
01-18-2007, 12:31 PM
im still not sure how i feel about lynch to us in the first, especially when there are guys like hunt we can pick up later

DeathbyStat
01-18-2007, 12:45 PM
your right at least I would't be really angry with the pick like I was with the Holmes pick last year.

mikehop05
01-18-2007, 01:31 PM
your right at least I would't be really angry with the pick like I was with the Holmes pick last year.

true, but holmes actually turned out to be a decent pick for us, though we prolly didnt have to trade up

DeathbyStat
01-18-2007, 02:30 PM
I keep watching Lynch on you tube and we don't want this guy he tend he shy away for contact....except when he is playing BYU...HA!

mikehop05
01-18-2007, 02:32 PM
I keep watching Lynch on you tube and we don't want this guy he tend he shy away for contact....except when he is playing BYU...HA!

yeah he played against some weak defnesive talent too, unlike hunt who put up pretty constant #'s agasint a lot of good teams

BigRob
01-18-2007, 04:26 PM
Why would you spend a first or second round pick on RB when Willie Parker just ran for nearly 1500 yards this season? Its not like it is a fluke. He ran for 1200 last year. Thats right at 2700 yards in two seasons. Willie Parker is a feature back. If Hunt is available in the 3rd, you take a shot at him. Otherwise focus on LB, DL, and OL assuming we keep the same system with Grimm as the head coach.

mikehop05
01-18-2007, 05:03 PM
Why would you spend a first or second round pick on RB when Willie Parker just ran for nearly 1500 yards this season? Its not like it is a fluke. He ran for 1200 last year. Thats right at 2700 yards in two seasons. Willie Parker is a feature back. If Hunt is available in the 3rd, you take a shot at him. Otherwise focus on LB, DL, and OL assuming we keep the same system with Grimm as the head coach.

we never said we would?

and we need a back like hunt who can get those power yards, willie is great, yes, but he doesnt have the power to be a goalline / tough 2yard back

skarocksoi
01-18-2007, 05:21 PM
I think its pretty safe to say that I have one of the biggest man-crushes on Tony Hunt on these boards and I would absolutely love to have him on the Steelers. I think the kid was made for this team and would fit in without a hitch and produce from day one. He runs with so much power its impressive and he will not go down with the first hit. And like someone said before, he just seems to get more powerful as the game goes on and hits harder in the 4th quarter.

On a side note, does anyone know how to put a sig into your profile or whatever. I made one of Tony but I dont know how to stick it in there.

steel man
01-19-2007, 07:28 AM
On a side note, does anyone know how to put a sig into your profile or whatever. I made one of Tony but I dont know how to stick it in there.

1) sign in
2) go to "profile" at the top of the screen and click on it
3) go down to "signature" and paste your link in there, make sure you have the "" in front of it and "" at the end of the link

p.s. you have to upload your image onto a web page that will host it for you examples: imageshack or photobucket are a couple

if you need any more help feel free to ask or pm me or anyone on here will be more than happy to help out. i have found everyone on here to be the most helpful and really nice to me, so all of us will be glad to help you. if you need anything elae or you can not get this to work let us know and we will help you. good luck

Smooth Criminal
01-19-2007, 09:51 AM

I don't think we would have gotten Holmes at 32. He was the #1 rated reciever in the draft. Most people that made mocks had him predicited to go between 15-20. Someone would have traded up over us to get him if we just waited at 32.

Plus they still got the other 2 guys they wanted in the first day with Willie Reid and Anthony Smith.

mikehop05
01-19-2007, 10:02 AM

I don't think we would have gotten Holmes at 32. He was the #1 rated reciever in the draft. Most people that made mocks had him predicited to go between 15-20. Someone would have traded up over us to get him if we just waited at 32.

Plus they still got the other 2 guys they wanted in the first day with Willie Reid and Anthony Smith.

yeah thats true, i hope he doesnt tail off with his play like troy edwards did after his first year

steel man
01-19-2007, 11:46 AM
i think one factor that hurt us during those years of drafting WR's high and then they dont pan out was our QB's play. now that we have a great, young, strong arm, accurate, smart QB in Big Ben, any WR we get should be good. but some are still going to be better than others, but when you have a good QB it makes up the difference between the 2(ex. look at Tom Brady and his WR's), also look at us with Washington. i think holmes will be ok, you can tell the Steelers and Hines is rubbing off on him, because he is starting to get an attitude when he blocks(in a good way) and he started to play really hard at the end of the season. i am also glad not to see him get in anymore trouble, so if he keeps it up and come into next year strong i think he will help out a lot.

steel man
01-19-2007, 11:51 AM
who do you guys like better Sidney Rice or Robert Meachem?

mikehop05
01-19-2007, 12:32 PM

meachem

actually, bowe, but he wasnt an option

diabsoule
01-19-2007, 12:48 PM

Meachem.

BigRob
01-19-2007, 02:12 PM
Grimm is reportedly headed to the Senior Bowl with Steeler scouts. I think this gives us another indication or clue as to who the next coach is going to be.

Why send him or let him go if you know that he is not going to be the next coach?

mikehop05
01-19-2007, 02:14 PM
Grimm is reportedly headed to the Senior Bowl with Steeler scouts. I think this gives us another indication or clue as to who the next coach is going to be.

Why send him or let him go if you know that he is not going to be the next coach?

he is still a coach on the team, regardless of whether he is the HC or not...

now if Tomlin was invited to go... that may be a signal

TerribleEd
01-19-2007, 02:17 PM
Just for fun, let's say Tomlin or Rivera gets the job and announces a gradual transition to the 4-3 Defense. I'm bored at work and just having some fun.

Steelers resign Max Starks to a one-year contract.

Steelers trade #15 in first plus 4th rounder to NY Jets for #25 in first and #38 in second round.

Rd 1) Paul Posluszny, WSLB

http://www.nabilmark.com/ezpublish/var/nabilmark/storage/images/penn_state_football_2004/paul_posluszny_tackle/1536-2-eng-US/paul_posluszny_tackle.jpg

Rd 2a) Charles Johnson, DE

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/31/312579.jpg

Rd 2b) Buster Davis, MLB

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/16/161128.jpg

Rd3) Brian Leonard, RB/FB

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper168/stills/9dw2o9r4.jpg

Rd 4) traded

Rd 4 comp) Mansfield Wrotto, OG/OT

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/geot/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/166876.jpeg

Rd 5) Paul Soliai, DT

http://deseretnews.com/photos/2367803.jpg

Rd 5 comp) Ben Patrick, TE

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/duke/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/38096.jpeg

Rd 6) Luke Getsy, QB

http://www.covers.com/images/2006/180x180/getsy_luke060813b.jpg

Rd 7) Brandon Fields, P

http://www.nationalchamps.net/2005/sub/pics/small/michiganstate_brandon_fields_sm.jpg

mikehop05
01-19-2007, 02:33 PM
some pretty sexy picks, but i dont see leonard falling to the 3rd round and we prolyl wouldnt have to give up our 4th rounder, though i would love for us to grab a big reciever

steel man
01-19-2007, 08:04 PM
here is my mock once again. i did not get any comments the last time i posted it or any comments on my sig(does anyone like the mock draft sig ideal).

trade our #15 1st round ppick for Jets #25 1st round pick and the Jets #38 2nd round pick, plus our 3 comp picks(Hope,Randel El, and Kimo)

1) Pat Willis
2) Brian Leonard
2A) Robert Mecachem
3) Desmond Bishop
4) Anthony Waters
4A) Nathan Bennett
5) Dan Mozes
5A) Ikaika Alama-Francis
6) John Beck
6A) Brandon Myles
7) Nate Ilaoa

i am torn between Deamond Bishop and Brad Smith? which one do you guys like better? i ahvent heard anyone talk much about Smith recent, any reason?

i was also torn between Robert Mecachem and Sindney Rice thats why i asked, and as for Bowe i just really dont like him and dont think he will end up being a good WR(Avg but not Great like Rice and Mecachem).

mikehop05
01-19-2007, 08:39 PM
here is my mock once again. i did not get any comments the last time i posted it or any comments on my sig(does anyone like the mock draft sig ideal).

trade our #15 1st round ppick for Jets #25 1st round pick and the Jets #38 2nd round pick, plus our 3 comp picks(Hope,Randel El, and Kimo)

1) Pat Willis
2) Brian Leonard
2A) Robert Mecachem
3) Desmond Bishop
4) Anthony Waters
4A) Nathan Bennett
5) Dan Mozes
5A) Ikaika Alama-Francis
6) John Beck
6A) Brandon Myles
7) Nate Ilaoa

i am torn between Deamond Bishop and Brad Smith? which one do you guys like better? i ahvent heard anyone talk much about Smith recent, any reason?

i was also torn between Robert Mecachem and Sindney Rice thats why i asked, and as for Bowe i just really dont like him and dont think he will end up being a good WR(Avg but not Great like Rice and Mecachem).

yeah your sig is pretty cool, the mock draft idea is great,

and the draft looks good too, all your picks are guys that i would love for the steelers to have, however, i do not see francis, myles and ilaoa, falling that far... each guy will prolyl go a round or 2 up imo.

also, you have us drafting 3 MLB's, farrior will need replaced in a year or 2, but foote is solid, instead of bishop / waters, maybe look at guys such as Jay Moore, DE NEB. to add some possible depth behind aaron smith / kiesel in a year or two.

meachem looks solid, i dont know why i like bowe... maybe just his physicalness (if thats a word even), but also cuz ive seen him play more than all the other guys, so i may be a bit biased. But, i think i can develop a likeing towards meachem.

you may have to shake up your bottom of the mock, but the needs you addressed and the players you selected are good,

something that just hit me... anthony gonzolez = hines ward?

both underrated possesion guys who wark very hard and have to run good routes to get open, both also are built alike and look the same.. well they both have a shaved head.

also, we dont automatically get comp picks for those guys, we prolly wont get one for hope because we picked up ryan clark, but im not sure on all that

but overall, like i said, good stuff

richdg
01-19-2007, 08:46 PM
We will only have 2 comp. picks. Yes we lost 3, but we signed 1. So we will have the difference. On that note, comp. picks are based on the size of the contracts. I doubt that we will get anything higher than a 5th. Either we will have a 5 and 6 or a 6 and 7.

TerribleEd
01-20-2007, 07:55 AM

1) Pat Willis
2) Brian Leonard
2A) Robert Mecachem
3) Desmond Bishop
4) Anthony Waters
4A) Nathan Bennett
5) Dan Mozes
5A) Ikaika Alama-Francis
6) John Beck
6A) Brandon Myles
7) Nate Ilaoa

Wow, the linebacker talent! I love all of those LB's, but isnt 4 LB's in a draft a little much? I have to think you have Willis and Alama-Francis planned for OLB and Waters and Bishop planned for ILB, right? Or you could have Willis and Waters in the middle, with Bishop and Alama-Francis outside, also.

I hope you dont have Alama-Francis planned for 3-4 DE, because he is clearly a 3-4 OLB at 250 or so lbs. I dont think he needs to add any more weight. I dont see him lasting 'til day two. I have seen him going as high as second round in some mocks.

I do think Leoard will fall to Rd 3. I love him as a Steeler pick, but I think there are better picks to be made in the second rounder.

Sgt Pepper
01-20-2007, 09:45 AM
i think one factor that hurt us during those years of drafting WR's high and then they dont pan out was our QB's play. now that we have a great, young, strong arm, accurate, smart QB in Big Ben, any WR we get should be good. but some are still going to be better than others, but when you have a good QB it makes up the difference between the 2(ex. look at Tom Brady and his WR's), also look at us with Washington. i think holmes will be ok, you can tell the Steelers and Hines is rubbing off on him, because he is starting to get an attitude when he blocks(in a good way) and he started to play really hard at the end of the season. i am also glad not to see him get in anymore trouble, so if he keeps it up and come into next year strong i think he will help out a lot.

I don't think you will see Holmes getting in much more trouble. He was a leader at Ohio State and typically stayed out of trouble.

I think Holmes will turn out to be a good reciever for us. He had a productive season for a rookie WR, especially for only starting towards the end of the year.

That said I still think WR is a position that needs to be adressed early. Hines will probably be gone in a couple years and another wideout will need to step in.

On the coaching situation, I think the Steelers are waiting for Ron Rivera. If it was between Tomlin or Grimm a decision could have easily been made by now. The Rooney's are either waiting for Rivera or they are actually confused.

skarocksoi
01-20-2007, 11:39 AM
I'd like to pick up a good WR to eventually replace Hines when he retires, and the guy I would like is Bowe. He's a big guy with a very physical style of play and a great blocker. Sorta makes you think of Hines, huh? Plus I think Meachem will be taken sometime late first/early second because of his speed and won't be available to us in the second.

THav916
01-20-2007, 01:19 PM
Mike Tomlin. Cmon u guys are slow. Wow

Smooth Criminal
01-20-2007, 01:55 PM
Tomlin hired as HC.

Big question for our draft now is whether or not he wants to install the 4-3 this year. We need to get a 4-3 DE or DT early in the draft or FA.

mikehop05
01-20-2007, 02:07 PM
YES!!!!!!!!

ive been calling tomlin from the beginning!

i say he sticks with the 3 - 4, and he may slowly implement the 4 -3 after a year or two

richdg
01-20-2007, 02:41 PM
I think it came down to be safe with grimm or take a risk with Tomlin. The Rooneys took the risk. They have been dead on with coaching hires, so I'm going say good job. But, this hire does raise some questions. All of our assistant coaches are under contract for next year. So, does he clean house, or keep them? Does Grimm move up to OC? Does LeBaeu stay one more year/then we change, or do we change now? Maybe we neve change the D. The next 48-72 hours will be very interesting.

mikehop05
01-20-2007, 02:42 PM
I think it came down to be safe with grimm or take a risk with Tomlin. The Rooneys took the risk. They have been dead on with coaching hires, so I'm going say good job. But, this hire does raise some questions. All of our assistant coaches are under contract for next year. So, does he clean house, or keep them? Does Grimm move up to OC? Does LeBaeu stay one more year/then we change, or do we change now? Maybe we neve change the D. The next 48-72 hours will be very interesting.

you're telling me, minnesota has all of their assistants under contract too, so he wont be able to bring a lot over most likely

richdg
01-20-2007, 02:48 PM
Tomlin and the Steelers are now denying the report. Just reported on ESPN News. No one has been hired, nor is any annoucement going to happen this weekend.

Smooth Criminal
01-20-2007, 02:53 PM
So the new is untrue for now. I think it will end up being Tomlin somewhere down the line anyway.

mikehop05
01-20-2007, 02:56 PM
yea what the hell, got me all excited...

skarocksoi
01-20-2007, 03:06 PM
False alarm. You guys had me going for a minute.

Smooth Criminal
01-20-2007, 03:23 PM
Steelers signed 4 players today. Only one with a shot at making the team is Mike Barr. Hopefully he'll take over for Gardocki this year.

skarocksoi
01-20-2007, 03:32 PM
Yeah that would definitely save us some money. Didn't Barr look better than Gardocki for most of the preseason anyways? I wonder why they didn't switch.

Smooth Criminal
01-20-2007, 04:08 PM
They didn't switch because Gardocki used to be a good punter and they had faith in him. After the horrible season he had this year they'll give Barr a more serious look this year.

Smooth Criminal
01-20-2007, 05:52 PM
Article 1
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_489264.html

LAKE FOREST, Ill. - To understand how far Ron Rivera has progressed in the 10 years since he broke into coaching, consider that he used to run out for coffee and lunch for his colleagues.

And he did so willingly because Rivera is the son of a military man who still values and appreciates the concept of rank and order.

Rivera soon could be asked to fetch something a little more significant than Sanka and sandwiches -- specifically, victories and championships for a team that is accustomed to getting both.

Rivera is one of three finalists for the Steelers' head coach position. Before practice Thursday at Halas Hall, the Chicago Bears' 45-year-old defensive coordinator talked to the Tribune-Review about why he would be the right man to succeed Bill Cowher in Pittsburgh and what he would do if he becomes the team's next coach.

Rivera has been preparing for the NFC Championship Game between the Bears and visiting New Orleans Saints, but that is only part of the reason why he, unlike Russ Grimm and Mike Tomlin, has not interviewed with the Steelers a second time.

NFL rules prohibit Rivera from talking to the Steelers again -- he met Jan. 7 with team chairman Dan Rooney, president Art Rooney II and director of football operations Kevin Colbert in Chicago -- until the Bears season is over.

It will end either Sunday or Feb. 4, when the Super Bowl is played.

When asked if he thinks the Steelers are seriously considering hiring him despite the apparent impediment of the no-contact rule, Rivera said, "I would like to think so because they haven't made a decision yet, and everything I've read in the papers has been very positive in terms of (the Steelers) looking for the right person."

Rivera is aware the Steelers may not be willing to wait until they talk to him again before making a hire. He understands he may not get a chance to make a final pitch for the job.

"They've got to do what they have to do," Rivera said of the Steelers. "I'm just going to be patient and the focus right now is beating New Orleans."

Those close to Rivera have no doubt he is the right man for the job -- or at least ready to be a head coach in the NFL.

"I thought he was ready last year," Bears All-Pro linebacker Brian Urlacher said. "Look at the way he carries himself at meetings, the way he prepares us for games, the way he speaks to us. I'd hate to lose him, but I think he needs to be a head coach."

Rivera, who also interviewed with the Arizona Cardinals and Miami Dolphins, is hoping to fill the void that exists with the Steelers. He said the organization would be a good fit for him because of the parallels between the Bears, for whom he also played linebacker from 1984-92, and the Steelers.

Both are family-owned franchises that have embraced, if not branded, a similar style of play.

"I grew up playing rough, tough, physical football," said Rivera, a former linebacker who got his coaching start with the Bears as a low-level defensive assistant in 1997. "You beat up your opponent, you got after them. (The Steelers') characteristic is they love running the football. I believe in running the football. As a defensive coach, I want to attack. Those are some of the characteristics that I believe the Rooneys are looking for.

"It just sounds like, to a degree, I fit their description, and maybe that's what it's about. That's why I feel good about it. Maybe I've got as good an opportunity as anybody and the only ones who really know are the Rooneys."

One reason why Rivera might not be a good fit for the Steelers is his defensive scheme.
He has used a 4-3 alignment with the Bears since taking over as the team's defensive coordinator in 2004. The Steelers, meanwhile, have long employed a 3-4 look and constructed their roster to fit the needs of such a defense.

"Would I come in and blow everything up just for the sake of doing it because this is my initial plan? No, you can't do that," Rivera said. "You can't ask the player personnel department to all of the sudden scrap all of the players you have and try and find everything to fit automatically. In Pittsburgh, you look at the players they have and it would almost be like trying to put a round peg in a square hole. You just can't do that."

Article #2
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_489269.html

Rivera felt first Steelers interview was 'very positive'

Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, one of three finalists for the Steelers' head coaching job, talked Thursday with the Tribune-Review. Here are some excerpts of what he said.

On getting the chance to become a head coach in the NFL:
"Maybe last year I should have got a shot, but I didn't. I know the Rooneys have a specific idea of what they're looking for, and my first interview I thought was very positive. I got a feel of what they were looking for, and I really loved what I heard from them in terms of the direction they believe they're headed, the support they're going to give the coach."

On the appeal of working for the Rooney family:
"Coach (Bill) Cowher was there for 15 years and probably could have been another 15 if he wanted. Chuck Noll was there forever, and I think that speaks very well for whoever the next head coach is because you know you're going to have the opportunity to be there awhile and win awhile."

On not getting a chance to interview with the Steelers a second time until the Bears' season is over:
"I would love to be able to (interview with the Steelers again) but also in the same respect I've got a great job here in Chicago with a great organization, a family-oriented organization. Coach (Lovie) Smith has been tremendous for me and my career, and the players are unbelievable. I bet a lot of it is like the chemistry Pittsburgh had last year. Am I being penalized? It depends on how you look at it. I think right now my priority is winning, beating New Orleans, getting to the Super Bowl and winning. If the opportunity is still there in a week or two? Great. If not, I understand completely."

On how much he would change the Steelers if he got the job
"To go in and expect to change everything in one year and expect to be as successful as I think they can be next year would be wrong. You've got to look at and evaluate the talent you have."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Making a difference

The Bears' defense made considerable improvement after Ron Rivera's first season as Chicago's defensive coordinator in 2004. Here is a look at how the Bears have fared statistically and where they ranked in the NFL in each of Rivera's first three seasons (regular season only).

Year
Scoring
Total (yards)
Rush
Pass

NFL Rank

NFL Rank

NFL Rank

*Average per game for all categories

- Scott Brown

__________________________________________________ ___________

A good read about Rivera who continues to be my favorite for the job. I really hope Chicago loses tommorow so we can interview him next week.

bigbluedefense
01-20-2007, 05:55 PM
didn't Tomlin already get the job?

I like Rivera better than Tomlin. I think he'll be a better replacement.

diabsoule
01-20-2007, 06:02 PM
After reading that interview I want Rivera even more. I think he is the right go for the job.

mikehop05
01-20-2007, 06:07 PM
After reading that interview I want Rivera even more. I think he is the right go for the job.

im still sold on tomlin

mikehop05
01-20-2007, 07:00 PM
Tomlin still the man??

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/01/20/steelers.coach/index.html

notice the update time, wich is after 6, after the initial denial came out...

also it is front page at si.com

Fickdog
01-20-2007, 07:42 PM
[I hope you dont have Alama-Francis planned for 3-4 DE, because he is clearly a 3-4 OLB at 250 or so lbs. I dont think he needs to add any more weight. I dont see him lasting 'til day two. I have seen him going as high as second round in some mocks.
[/quote]

Just an FYI, Alama Francis is up to about 285+ and most likely to be playing DE.

S4L
01-20-2007, 08:10 PM
All of this he said, she said Tomlin business is going to drive me crazy.

bigbluedefense
01-20-2007, 08:21 PM
espn news is reporting that Tomlin is the new head coach. So take it for what its worth I guess. Im personally confuzzled. I hear espn say he's coach, then I read these threads and hear that theres no official word.

But as of right now, 921 pm Eastern time, Espn is reporting Tomlin got the job.

S4L
01-20-2007, 08:41 PM
That's the thing. The ESPN2 bottom line was saying that Tomlin was the new coach, yet the headline on ESPN.com was Tomlin denying that he was offered it.

skarocksoi
01-20-2007, 09:01 PM
ESPN says sources are ready to name Tomlin the head coach as early as tomorrow. This isn't confirmed, it's basically just rumors I believe.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2732197

I think that management is going to wait until Sunday to see if the Bears lose or not. If they do lose, I'm betting things get delayed as we interview Rivera, and if they win Tomlin is the guy. If Grimm was going to get it, it would have happened by now in my opinion. I'm having a discussion with my roommate who is a big Grimm supporter and I feel like Tomlin is almost like another Cowher. A young upstart coordinator who is a real players coach and maybe not a big strategic kind of guy.

Grizzlegom
01-20-2007, 09:11 PM
ESPN says sources are ready to name Tomlin the head coach as early as tomorrow. This isn't confirmed, it's basically just rumors I believe.

I think that management is going to wait until Sunday to see if the Bears lose or not. If they do lose, I'm betting things get delayed as we interview Rivera, and if they win Tomlin is the guy. If Grimm was going to get it, it would have happened by now in my opinion. I'm having a discussion with my roommate who is a big Grimm supporter and I feel like Tomlin is almost like another Cowher. A young upstart coordinator who is a real players coach and maybe not a big strategic kind of guy.

im a big advocate of grimm and im actually very disappointed that he doesnt appear to be getting the job. i actually wanted him for the dolphins but we didnt even interview him.

but in all honesty, not to be racist, but i think the rooneys might be criticized if they didnt hire a minority coach.

S4L
01-20-2007, 10:08 PM

im a big advocate of grimm and im actually very disappointed that he doesnt appear to be getting the job. i actually wanted him for the dolphins but we didnt even interview him.

but in all honesty, not to be racist, but i think the rooneys might be criticized if they didnt hire a minority coach.

Maybe by the NAACP, but not by any member of the football media. Teams pass on black coaches all the time.

NFLBOY
01-20-2007, 10:08 PM

but in all honesty, not to be racist, but i think the rooneys might be criticized if they didnt hire a minority coach.That's what I'm afraid of. I just don't want Tomlinson, I think Grimm would be better.

S4L
01-20-2007, 10:09 PM

Maybe by the NAACP, but not by any member of the football media. Teams pass on black coaches all the time.

bigbluedefense
01-20-2007, 10:10 PM
I was thinking about it, and I think they felt that they would have to overhaul this defense within 2 years anyway?

Foot and Farrior are getting out of their prime. Porter is getting up there. So is Haggans. Nothing to wow about at DE to lose sleep over. Outside of Polumalu, the same can be said of the secondary.

So the only big loss would be Hampton personnell wise. But Im sure Tomlin can make it work considering what he did in Minny. So when you think about it, the overhaul would be necessary in a few years anyway. They probably felt it would be better to be proactive about it rather than reactive.

The only 2 long term players on this defense can still work in it. Polumalu and Hampton both will be fine in it. So I can see why they made this move.

I personally like Rivera better than Tomlin, but hey, whatever.

Worst case scenario is Hampton being wasted in this scheme. If that happens, Im sure you can get a 1st for him. Heck, if I were the Giants GM, id give you a 1st for Hampton today without thinking twice.

Smooth Criminal
01-20-2007, 10:11 PM
I didn't figure they'd have waited this long if they want Grimm.

I don't know what to think between the two coaches. Whichever the Steelers choose to go with is fine by me after they picked Noll and Cowher for their last two coaches. Hopefully they get another good one to carry on a legacy.

swagger
01-20-2007, 10:52 PM
Do you guys think Grimm will stay on Tomlin's staff, or is he as good as gone?

skarocksoi
01-20-2007, 11:02 PM
He's here for the year, after that, who knows. He could get a coaching job easily next year when something opens up. Otherwise, it depends on whether the new coach likes him or not.

steel man
01-20-2007, 11:16 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6379790
even Tomlin says he DOES NOT have the job yet.
he is 3rd on my list, but i will trust the Steelers in making the right call. they always do with the coaches and players.

thebow305
01-21-2007, 12:59 AM
Do you guys think Grimm will stay on Tomlin's staff, or is he as good as gone?

I hope he stays.... And Tomlin better not change to the Cover 2, I don't think LeBeau would change anyway.

Hey, Your quote... I remember them saying that, but really, he is nothing like sean taylor. Sean taylor is my favorite player and I'm a huge U fan, I watch every game and I see no traits of Phillips even similar to Taylor. Kenny Phillips is what, 210 pounds soaking wet. Sean Taylor is a solid 230 playing Safety. Plus, taylor is much more of a headhunter. Phillips is a lot smaller so I don't see where they say he has the same body... doesn't make sense, I like phillips, but he is NO sean taylor!

DeathbyStat
01-21-2007, 07:16 AM
Tomlin or not he need to keep Dick in the fold at all costs.

Do you think we can keep him?

slingblade
01-21-2007, 09:18 AM
http://pittsburghlive.com:8000/x/pittsburghtrib/preview/s_489602.html

Steelers pick Grimm, source says

Subscribe
By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, January 21, 2007

Russ Grimm has been offered and has accepted the Steelers' head coaching position, a source in Pittsburgh confirmed late Saturday.

Grimm, 47, succeeds Bill Cowher, who coached the Steelers for 15 seasons before resigning Jan. 5. The hiring of Grimm will be announced Monday at a news conference.

ESPN and SI.com, Sports Illustrated's Web site, reported yesterday that Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin had been chosen to replace Cowher.

An NFL source confirmed yesterday that Tomlin had not heard from the Steelers and no contract negotiations had taken place.

Grimm, a native of Scottdale, Westmoreland County, and a Pitt product, has been the Steelers' offensive line coach since 2001 and the team's assistant head coach since 2004. He played 11 seasons as a guard and center for the Washington Redskins from 1981-91 and is among 17 finalists for the Pro Football Hall of Fame's class of 2007.

Grimm began his coaching career as the Redskins' tight ends coach. He switched to offensive line coach for Washington in 1997.

Grimm was one of three finalists to replace Cowher, along with Tomlin and Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera. Tomlin and Grimm had second interviews with the Steelers last week.

The Steelers would have had to wait until the Bears' season is completed to interview Rivera a second time. Chicago hosts New Orleans today in the NFC Championship Game.

Ken Whisenhunt, the Steelers' offensive coordinator last season, and Georgia Tech coach Chan Gailey, a former Steelers assistant, also interviewed for the position.

Whisenhunt since has become the head coach of the Arizona Cardinals.

The elevation of Grimm to his first head-coaching job figures to be welcomed by the Steelers' players.

Even before Cowher officially stepped down, a consensus had formed among the players that they preferred the Steelers stay in-house when the team hired its next head coach.

Grimm's ties to the area extend far beyond the six years he has been with the Steelers.

He starred at Southmoreland High School and then developed into an All-American center while at Pitt.

A third-round pick of the Redskins in 1981, Grimm became a member of the vaunted "Hogs" offensive line that proved to be a driving force behind a team that won three Super Bowls and played in four of them during his playing career.

Grimm, who retired after the 1991 season, played in four consecutive Pro Bowls (1983-86). He got into coaching after retiring and has worked under one Hall of Fame Coach (Joe Gibbs in Washington) and another (Cowher) who will likely be enshrined in Canton one day.

Grimm inherits a team that is less than a year removed from winning the Super Bowl but faltered last season.

The Steelers lost six of their first eight games and finished 8-8. They were physically dominated in a pair of losses to AFC North archrival Baltimore and did not get a chance to defend their Super Bowl title.

In addition to Cowher and Whisenhunt, the Steelers have lost running backs coach Dick Hoak (retired) and special teams coach Kevin Spencer (special teams, Arizona) from last year's staff.

Wide receivers coach Bruce Arians has said he believed his chances of becoming Steelers offensive coordinator were very good in the event Grimm became the head coach.

Grizzlegom
01-21-2007, 09:32 AM
i was just gonna post that.

they really need to announce something officially, all these sources are confusing everyone.

slingblade
01-21-2007, 10:37 AM
http://news.steelers.com/article/73525/

Statement from Steelers Spokesperson Dave Lockett

At this point and time, the Steelers have not concluded a contract agreement with a new head coach, nor do we expect to do so today. There will be no other announcements from this office today.

Enjoy Championship Sunday!

That was from the Pittsburgh Steelers website. I honestly think they are waiting on Rivera. The Steelers are always very thorough and I just don't see them picking a coach without giving their third finalist, Ron Rivera, a chance for a second interview. Also think going the "no comment" route, although frustrating for us, is the best way to go because of the way the media is, whatever is said will get twisted around in whatever would make a good story. I think this simple statement is more that sufficient.

Smooth Criminal
01-21-2007, 11:11 AM
I hope they get a deal done soon with any of the 3. At this point I just want the job filled.

mikehop05
01-21-2007, 02:06 PM
well this is just frustrating

skarocksoi
01-21-2007, 03:26 PM
Yeah, really. I'm getting pretty antsy about this and I just want to know who it's gonna be. So, to occupy my mind in the meantime, I'll ask for some opinions. If Tomlin or Rivera are hired as head coach, do you think that we will switch over to a Tampa 2/cover 2 scheme?

mikehop05
01-21-2007, 03:47 PM
Yeah, really. I'm getting pretty antsy about this and I just want to know who it's gonna be. So, to occupy my mind in the meantime, I'll ask for some opinions. If Tomlin or Rivera are hired as head coach, do you think that we will switch over to a Tampa 2/cover 2 scheme?

not immediately

Smooth Criminal
01-21-2007, 04:40 PM
Both of them have said that they wouldn't want to come in and change everything up immmediately. i think a gradual change would definately occur probably completely switching over when LeBeau retires.

skarocksoi
01-21-2007, 04:57 PM
Do you think we will start drafting guys on defense to fit a Tampa 2 now, or wait until after LeBeau is gone? That could really change what we do in this draft compared to before.

steelernation77
01-21-2007, 05:23 PM
FOXsports.com and the St. Paul Pioneer Press are reporting that Mike Tomlin has indeed been offerred the job. He is flying to Pittsburgh tomorrow morning.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6391772?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/16514456.htm

mikehop05
01-21-2007, 05:27 PM
FOXsports.com and the St. Paul Pioneer Press are reporting that Mike Tomlin has indeed been offerred the job. He is flying to Pittsburgh tomorrow morning.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6391772?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/16514456.htm

damn i was just about to post this, i am excited!

Smooth Criminal
01-21-2007, 05:41 PM
Do you think we will start drafting guys on defense to fit a Tampa 2 now, or wait until after LeBeau is gone? That could really change what we do in this draft compared to before.

I think we'll start drafting people now. We need to reload our front 7 anyways so it is actually a great time to be switching systems. Smith, Haggans and Porter will all probably be let go of next year simply because they don't fit they system.

I'm actually interested to see who Tomlin will use the players he has and the system he is used to to come up with a creative defense. I think if he and LeBeau work together on something it could be awesome.

Smooth Criminal
01-21-2007, 05:57 PM
Supposedly its a 4 year deal. Nothing on how much its worth yet.

mikehop05
01-21-2007, 06:48 PM
my guess on all the confusion was that someone found out before they[the rooneys] wanted to announce it, and also before they had a chance to tell grimm that he was not going to get it -- to be professional and respectful to grimm

Smooth Criminal
01-21-2007, 07:26 PM
Or they may not have offered the job until we knew Rivera couldn't be interviewed for 2 more weeks. Why name him a finalist and wait this long to give the job to someone the day before you can interview him.