PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Steelers Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

richdg
01-21-2007, 08:14 PM
Ok, this is getting very confusing. Grimm or Tomlin, Tomlin or Grimm? I really don't care which one gets the job, I just wish they would announce it already. Rumors are like a#@holes, everyone has one. Name the coach, and lets move on.

diabsoule
01-21-2007, 08:20 PM
I heard it was Tomlin

mikehop05
01-21-2007, 08:25 PM
Ok, this is getting very confusing. Grimm or Tomlin, Tomlin or Grimm? I really don't care which one gets the job, I just wish they would announce it already. Rumors are like a#@holes, everyone has one. Name the coach, and lets move on.

hahaha yeah but now pretty much all sources are saying tomlin

Smooth Criminal
01-21-2007, 09:32 PM
FSN just said that they don't have any sources telling them anything about the coaching search.

At this point we can't believe anything other than what the Rooney's choose to tell us.

Hines
01-21-2007, 10:12 PM
a player i want now since readin his article in espn magazine is patrick willis. he went threw alot to get where he is at and he is one hell of a player. and he got all the physical requirements to play for this team. if he is there at 15 get him steelers please. he deserves it

mikehop05
01-21-2007, 10:17 PM
a player i want now since readin his article in espn magazine is patrick willis. he went threw alot to get where he is at and he is one hell of a player. and he got all the physical requirements to play for this team. if he is there at 15 get him steelers please. he deserves it

i like him a lot too, and he can add depth to really any of the 4 spots, assuming we dont go 4-3

also, ESPN.com just updated their Tomlin article at 1045:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2732197

Jonathan_VIlma
01-21-2007, 10:21 PM
Do you think we will start drafting guys on defense to fit a Tampa 2 now, or wait until after LeBeau is gone? That could really change what we do in this draft compared to before.

I think we'll start drafting people now. We need to reload our front 7 anyways so it is actually a great time to be switching systems. Smith, Haggans and Porter will all probably be let go of next year simply because they don't fit they system.

I'm actually interested to see who Tomlin will use the players he has and the system he is used to to come up with a creative defense. I think if he and LeBeau work together on something it could be awesome.
I don't think it's a good idea to mix two systems together at all. We had a similar problem, only it was the opposite system. We went from a 4-3 Cover 2, to a 3-4 attacking defense, and I too was against the changing immediatley. I wanted Mangini to diffuse the system in gradually, but it makes the most sense to just come right in and establish the way things are being done so there's no confusion.

By using the gradual change method, you're giving your players two different playbooks to think about which will confuse them. It also will leave players confused as to if they are going to be on the team for a while or not. If they don't fit the future system, you owe it to the player to let him know.

Jonathan_VIlma
01-21-2007, 10:22 PM
Do you think we will start drafting guys on defense to fit a Tampa 2 now, or wait until after LeBeau is gone? That could really change what we do in this draft compared to before.

I think we'll start drafting people now. We need to reload our front 7 anyways so it is actually a great time to be switching systems. Smith, Haggans and Porter will all probably be let go of next year simply because they don't fit they system.

I'm actually interested to see who Tomlin will use the players he has and the system he is used to to come up with a creative defense. I think if he and LeBeau work together on something it could be awesome.
I don't think it's a good idea to mix two systems together at all. We had a similar problem, only it was the opposite system. We went from a 4-3 Cover 2, to a 3-4 attacking defense, and I too was against the changing immediatley. I wanted Mangini to diffuse the system in gradually, but it makes the most sense to just come right in and establish the way things are being done so there's no confusion. Then when it's time to really compete, you aren't still going through a transitional period in years two and three.

By using the gradual change method, you're giving your players two different playbooks to think about which will confuse them. It also will leave players confused as to if they are going to be on the team for a while or not. If they don't fit the future system, you owe it to the player to let him know.

skarocksoi
01-21-2007, 11:04 PM
Here's a question for everyone. Does anyone know/remember what kind of defense Cowher ran when he was D-coordinator of the Cheifs? I ask because I see Tomlin as a similar kind of guy to Cowher who is more about player relations than strategies and that he might not switch over to a new defense just because its what he ran somewhere else. Thats probably just my unwillingness to see the team switch defenses talking though. I do love me the 3-4.

mikehop05
01-21-2007, 11:08 PM
Here's a question for everyone. Does anyone know/remember what kind of defense Cowher ran when he was D-coordinator of the Cheifs? I ask because I see Tomlin as a similar kind of guy to Cowher who is more about player relations than strategies and that he might not switch over to a new defense just because its what he ran somewhere else. Thats probably just my unwillingness to see the team switch defenses talking though. I do love me the 3-4.

yeah good question, unfortunatly i do not know the anwser

but, i can tell u that he is reportedly signing a deal for 4 years with an option of a fifth, and for 2.5 mil / year

slingblade
01-22-2007, 02:43 AM
Pittsburgh news has confirmed it. Expect the announcement today. Here is the article from the local paper.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07022/755830-66.stm

The Steelers Coaching Search: It's Tomlin
Vikings defensive coordinator to be announced today to take over the team from Cowher

Monday, January 22, 2007
By Ed Bouchette and Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Jerry Holt, Star Tribune
The Steelers chose Mike Tomlin, defensive coordinator for the Minnesota Vikings, as their new coach.
Click photo for larger image.

The Steelers have selected Mike Tomlin as their head coach and will announce his hiring at a news conference today.

Mr. Tomlin, 34, is the defensive coordinator for the Minnesota Vikings. His agent and the Steelers were working out contract details last night that would cover a term of four years and an option year. Mr. Tomlin succeeds Bill Cowher, who also was 34 when the Steelers hired him 15 years ago.

The Steelers chose Mr. Tomlin as head coach yesterday after vacillating between him and Russ Grimm, the team's assistant head coach and offensive line coach. The Steelers decided not to wait for Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, the third finalist for the job, because he would not be available to be hired for another two weeks.

Mr. Tomlin and Mr. Grimm, 47, had second interviews for the job last week. Mr. Rivera was interviewed once.

The hiring of Mr. Tomlin will represent a radical change in at least the way the Steelers play defense. Mr. Tomlin has coached a 4-3 defense in Minnesota and is a proponent of the Cover-2 or Tampa-2 style. The Steelers played a 3-4 during Mr. Cowher's 15-year tenure using the zone blitz.

While all Steelers assistant coaches are under contract, many of them likely will not be retained by Mr. Tomlin. Wide receivers coach Bruce Arians could be the one exception. He could become offensive coordinator under Mr. Tomlin.

For sure, Mr. Grimm will leave. The Steelers likely will allow him out of his contract under the circumstances.

Dick LeBeau, in his second tenure as the Steelers' defensive coordinator, is unlikely to remain in that capacity under a head coach who believes in the 4-3 defense.

Mr. Tomlin is expected to visit the current Steelers coaching staff this week in Mobile, Ala., where the coaches are scouting the Senior Bowl practices.

MIKE TOMLIN
AT A GLANCE

Pro coaching experience: Vikings defensive coordinator, 2006; Buccaneers defensive backs coach, 2001-05.

College coaching experience: Cincinnati defensive backs coach, 1999-2000; Arkansas State defensive backs coach, 1998; Arkansas State wide receivers coach, 1997; Memphis graduate assistant coach, 1996; Virginia Military Institute wide receivers coach, 1995.

Playing experience:
Three-year starter at wide receiver for William and Mary, 1990-94. Finished career with 101 receptions for 2,046 yards and 20 touchdown catches.

The numbers: His defense in Minnesota ranked 8th in the NFL in total defense for 2006 and led the league in run defense. ... In a Dec. 10 game against the Lions, the Vikings held Detroit to minus-3 yards rushing, the lowest total by an NFL team in the past 45 years. ... He helped Tampa Bay's pass defense rank No. 1 in the NFL in two of his five seasons as secondary coach.

Personal info: Born in Hampton, Va. He and wife, Kiya, have two sons, Dino and Mason.

One defensive coach who could join Mr. Tomlin's staff is Brett Maxie, who coached the Atlanta Falcons' defensive backs under head coach Jim Mora, who was fired after the season. Also, Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler coached with Mr. Tomlin in college at Memphis and Arkansas State.

Mr. Tomlin, who was born in Hampton, Va., and played wide receiver at William and Mary, began his coaching career at Virginia Military Institute in 1995. He coached at Memphis, Arkansas State and Cincinnati before joining the pro ranks in 2001 with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers under Tony Dungy and then Jon Gruden. He left the Buccaneers as their secondary coach last year to become the defensive coordinator of the Vikings under new coach Brad Childress.

His first defense in Minnesota ranked eighth overall -- No. 1 in the league against the run but tied for last against the pass as the Vikings went 6-10.

"I think regardless of who they hire to be head coach they expect him to lead, and part of leading is being prepared to do things that you feel strongly about," Mr. Tomlin said after his second interview with the Steelers Tuesday at the team's training facility on the South Side. "I'm no different than anyone else in that regard."

Mr. Tomlin was considered a long shot for the job when he was first named as a candidate shortly after Mr. Cowher resigned Jan. 5. In part because the Steelers won the Super Bowl in February, the two candidates on their staff were considered the front-runners -- Mr. Grimm and offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt.

Mr. Whisenhunt, though, accepted the head coaching job with the Arizona Cardinals last week after the Steelers gave him no guarantee he would get the job here. Mr. Grimm, who also was interviewed by the Cardinals, then was considered the front-runner for the Steelers' job.

But Mr. Tomlin thoroughly impressed the Steelers' three-man search committee -- president Art Rooney, chairman Dan Rooney and football operations director Kevin Colbert -- in his first interview, and he immediately became a serious candidate.

Mr. Tomlin becomes the first black coach of the Steelers, and only the franchise's third head coach in the past 38 years. Head coaches Lovie Smith of Chicago, which gained entry into the Super Bowl yesterday, and Kansas City's Herm Edwards also coached under Mr. Dungy. Mr. Tomlin replaced Mr. Edwards as the secondary coach in Tampa in 2001 when Mr. Edwards left to become head coach of the Jets.

Chuck Noll, hired in 1969 when he was 37, won four Super Bowls before he retired after the 1991 season. Mr. Cowher's teams made the playoffs in 10 of his 15 seasons and competed in six AFC championship games, two Super Bowls and won it all in February.

The Steelers would expect no less success from Mr. Tomlin, a vibrant and outgoing young coach whose reputation as a future head coach in the league skyrocketed the past couple of years. His defensive scheme may be different than what the Steelers have used recently, but his philosophy is pure Pittsburgh.

"I think football is a tough-man's game, it's an attrition game," Mr. Tomlin said on Tuesday. "You win by stopping the run and being able to run the ball effectively -- and doing the things winners do -- being a detailed-oriented football team, playing with great passion and executing."

DeathbyStat
01-22-2007, 08:16 AM
Is Dick really going to be gone...this sucks.

Jughead10
01-22-2007, 08:22 AM
This just doesn't like it's going to be a smooth transition. The transition from a 3-4 to Tampa 2 will be long. It won't be like switching from a traditional 4-3 to a Tampa 2 scheme. I would think the transition will start happening faster than you would think as well. At 34 years of age, Tomlin doesn't seem like he has much experience in anything besides the Tampa 2.

richdg
01-22-2007, 08:39 AM
Ok, it looks offical now. Finally. There is a press conference for this afternoon. About time.
I hope Tomlin is a great coach. I ahve the utmost confidence in the Rooneys, not that they listen to me anyway. This is a risk. He only has 6 seasons of coaching experience in the NFL, only 1 at the DC level. Huge risk/reward story here. I am interested to see what he says at teh conference about the assit. coaches. Which ones he is planning on keeping and which ones are gone. Does he plan to stay with a 3-4 and add more Cover 2 to it, or switch to a 4-3, or what? What is his plans on O? How will the players react? They all wanted either Whiz or Grimm? Could be a interesting off season.

BigRob
01-22-2007, 10:04 AM
Tomlin doesn't run a pure Tampa 2 defense. Ask the vikings fans and news. He runs a lot of 3 deep zones and uses alot of zone blitzes.

Jughead10
01-22-2007, 10:13 AM
Tomlin doesn't run a pure Tampa 2 defense. Ask the vikings fans and news. He runs a lot of 3 deep zones and uses alot of zone blitzes.

Is that because of choice or because he was forced to with the Vikings personnel? Perhaps he will adapt to the Steelers roster then.

DeathbyStat
01-22-2007, 11:06 AM
I'd give my first born child to keep Dick Lebeau in the fold.

Will he leave?

NFLBOY
01-22-2007, 11:23 AM
Grimm and Lebeau are both going to be gone from the Steelers. I really don't like this move at all. I think we are a takeing a team apart. We have a good team and I believe we are now going in the wrong direction. It's to bad, I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see the Steelers doing the right thing.

skarocksoi
01-22-2007, 11:42 AM
I think everyone is kind of overreacting to this hiring, and it seems funny to me because I'm betting it parallels the exact same situation of when Cowher was hired. If you look at the two's coaching history, they are rather similar. I mean, did Cowher run the 3-4 in Kansas City when he was D-Coordinator? Was there a mass exodus of guys leaving the organization and did the team completely restructure after he became coach? Granted, these are two seperate individuals who have their own beliefs and ways of doing things, but if Tomlin has a decent brain in his head (which I'm assuming he does considering he beat out everyone we thought would get the job) he would realize that he has a very good staff and a good team in place that is only one year removed from the superbowl and could easily go back again in the next couple years. Why come in and wreck something thats working well and try to rebuild? If I were him, I'd love to keep going the way things are going and try to be the youngest coach to make it to the superbowl rather than a guy who tears down a good team just to try and reform it in the image he wants. The former will look a lot better on a resume and get him a much bigger paycheck then the latter. He's got some good coordinators and guys who know what they are doing here, so why go and change it all for no real reason? Maybe its just the optimist in me, but I dont think things are going to change and radically as people are starting to believe.

Besides, we have no idea what Tomlin wants to do, because he isn't even officially the head coach yet. He might have a big plan to change things or not. We have to wait and see.

Im hoping he adresses some of these things in his press conference today, but unfortunately for me, I have to be in class at that time. If anybody is planning on watching it, do you think you could fill the rest of us in on what happens. That would be most appreciated.

DeathbyStat
01-22-2007, 12:14 PM
I think everyone is kind of overreacting to this hiring, and it seems funny to me because I'm betting it parallels the exact same situation of when Cowher was hired. If you look at the two's coaching history, they are rather similar. I mean, did Cowher run the 3-4 in Kansas City when he was D-Coordinator? Was there a mass exodus of guys leaving the organization and did the team completely restructure after he became coach? Granted, these are two seperate individuals who have their own beliefs and ways of doing things, but if Tomlin has a decent brain in his head (which I'm assuming he does considering he beat out everyone we thought would get the job) he would realize that he has a very good staff and a good team in place that is only one year removed from the superbowl and could easily go back again in the next couple years. Why come in and wreck something thats working well and try to rebuild? If I were him, I'd love to keep going the way things are going and try to be the youngest coach to make it to the superbowl rather than a guy who tears down a good team just to try and reform it in the image he wants. The former will look a lot better on a resume and get him a much bigger paycheck then the latter. He's got some good coordinators and guys who know what they are doing here, so why go and change it all for no real reason? Maybe its just the optimist in me, but I dont think things are going to change and radically as people are starting to believe.

Besides, we have no idea what Tomlin wants to do, because he isn't even officially the head coach yet. He might have a big plan to change things or not. We have to wait and see.

Im hoping he adresses some of these things in his press conference today, but unfortunately for me, I have to be in class at that time. If anybody is planning on watching it, do you think you could fill the rest of us in on what happens. That would be most appreciated.

Are you saying that losing Dick Lebeau isn't a huge loss. I really have feelings on losing Grimm it doesn't bother me at all I don't he was deserving of a head coaching spot.

bsaza2358
01-22-2007, 12:30 PM
Is it a done deal that LeBeau and Grimm are both gone? This is more curiosity than anything. Personally, I think it would be a tragic loss for the franchise to lose both men.

BuffaloBills1976
01-22-2007, 02:39 PM
Is it a done deal that LeBeau and Grimm are both gone? This is more curiosity than anything. Personally, I think it would be a tragic loss for the franchise to lose both men.

Check it...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2738834

Dick is staying. That's a bit of a relief.

BigRob
01-22-2007, 03:09 PM
Tomlin's press conference was impressive. Carried himself well, answered the questions he should and avoided the ones he shouldn't. I am happy with this hire, especially that I know Lebeau is on staff for at least one more year.

slingblade
01-22-2007, 03:33 PM
I agree. I think he made a good first impression with the press conference. The next couple of weeks will be telling to see what type of staff he puts together. I also like the idea of blending his philosophy with LeBeau's, which could provide a spark for what was a mediocre Steelers defense at times this year. Regardless, as long as they come out and play smash mouth Stillers football come September, I will be happy.

EDIT

I also think that the "Tampa 2" has deep seeded roots in the infamous Steel Curtain defense the Steelers had in the 1970s. That is where Dungy gave credit for developing the scheme.

skarocksoi
01-22-2007, 04:11 PM

Are you saying that losing Dick Lebeau isn't a huge loss. I really have feelings on losing Grimm it doesn't bother me at all I don't he was deserving of a head coaching spot.

Im not saying losing LeBeau isn't a big loss, because it would be. I'm just saying wait and see what he wants to do before we all cry that the sky is falling. The fact that LeBeau is staying sortof reinforces my thoughts that he may not change the scheme to something other than the 3-4.

NFLBOY
01-22-2007, 04:19 PM
Sure am glad to hear Lebeau is staying. Now it will be curious to see what Tomlin does to get this team back on the winning track. I'm pretty skeptical right now, but we'll see.

Smooth Criminal
01-22-2007, 04:54 PM
Tomlin's interview was impressive today. I think with him keeping Lebeau around this team could be right on track for next season.

skarocksoi
01-22-2007, 06:58 PM
So now that everything is set and official, when will Tomlin head down to the senior bowl, and is Colbert already down there scouting?

mikehop05
01-22-2007, 08:23 PM
So now that everything is set and official, when will Tomlin head down to the senior bowl, and is Colbert already down there scouting?

yea we sent people down there to evaluate, though im not sure if Tomlin will go down, i am sure he has other things to take care of

mikehop05
01-22-2007, 08:30 PM
Tomlin, who will head to Mobile, Alabama for the Senior Bowl this week, did not have any comment on any of the other Steelers assistant coaches.

i guess im wrong, first time for everything :wink: , thats off the pittsburgh post gazzete online

Smooth Criminal
01-22-2007, 09:55 PM
Tomlin should get to spend some time with all of the assistants at the senior bowl. Hopefully we'll get some names for every other coaching position soon.

glennjamen3
01-22-2007, 10:20 PM
during the press conference Tomlin said he'd be going to mobile tomorrow and that he'll make coaching staff decisions over the next couple of days. I'm pretty happy with what he's shown so far. He seems to have his mind in the right place and anybody smart enough to realize what Lebeau is smart enough for me.

mikehop05
01-23-2007, 12:55 AM
during the press conference Tomlin said he'd be going to mobile tomorrow and that he'll make coaching staff decisions over the next couple of days. I'm pretty happy with what he's shown so far. He seems to have his mind in the right place and anybody smart enough to realize what Lebeau is smart enough for me.

yessa, ask anyone on the\is specific thread and they'll tell you ive loved tomlin form the beginning, i hope my good feeling about him proves to be right

mikehop05
01-23-2007, 11:47 AM
bruce arians is the new offensive coordinator

DeathbyStat
01-23-2007, 12:55 PM
Link?

SuperMcGee
01-23-2007, 01:10 PM
Steelers | Arians promoted to offensive coordinator
Tue, 23 Jan 2007 09:31:08 -0800

Updating a previous item, Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports Pittsburgh Steelers wide receivers coach Bruce Arians has been promoted to offensive coordinator under new head coach Mike Tomlin.

mikehop05
01-23-2007, 01:11 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07023/755980-66.stm

greta article, keeping both lebeau and arians, talks about the 3 - 4 also

DeathbyStat
01-23-2007, 01:28 PM
Is Bruce a good pick for OC. I know coached Cleveland for a few years(HA! HA! HA! point and laugh!)

But didn't he have one really great year with the Browns when the made the playoffs with Kelly Holcomb at QB and Maddox beat them in the playoffs.(HA!)

mikehop05
01-23-2007, 03:12 PM
Is Bruce a good pick for OC. I know coached Cleveland for a few years(HA! HA! HA! point and laugh!)

But didn't he have one really great year with the Browns when the made the playoffs with Kelly Holcomb at QB and Maddox beat them in the playoffs.(HA!)

well hes learned under whiz, im sure he will do fine, and he actually did a lot with a little with the browns

mikehop05
01-23-2007, 03:31 PM
grimm's gone:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2740378

Smooth Criminal
01-23-2007, 03:37 PM
Not suprising at all. I think we all knew he'd be gone.

mikehop05
01-23-2007, 03:48 PM

yeah, so we need a new line coach, wide recievers coach, running backs coach, anything else?

glennjamen3
01-23-2007, 03:55 PM
...special teams coach

man this sucks... arizona better kick ass now

mikehop05
01-23-2007, 04:16 PM
...special teams coach

man this sucks... arizona better kick ass now

i hope they do well, just not as well as us :D

skarocksoi
01-23-2007, 05:01 PM
I find it interesting that despite there being 6 head coaching jobs available, including one where he was the front-runner for the most part, Grimm still ends up in Arizona with the same position he had here. Not even a promotion to O-Coordinator. I'm wondering if a lot of people didn't think he was Head Coach worthy and we made the better choice by taking Tomlin. I think his last chance is with Dallas, and if he doesn't get that, we might have dodged a bullet in missing a bad coach.

skarocksoi
01-23-2007, 06:16 PM
I think LaMarr Woodley is now a very strong possibility in the draft now that we might play a defense that switches between 3-4 and the 4-3. If he is able to drop back reasonably well, I think he has the pass-rush ability to be the guy who can play stand up or drop down to a 3 point stance when needed. If not him maybe Quinten Moses or Spencer, although I'm a bit scared of Moses because he doesn't have that non-stop motor.

mikehop05
01-23-2007, 08:28 PM
based on scotts reports, quentin moses would be a great pick for us, we just have to see him aginst the run

i like woodley, too, but we may be able to grab him in the 2nd if we wanted him, i wanna see who the steelers have been looking at

also, ska, i like your point on grimm -- if he was such a good candidate, why arnt other teams wanting him?

skarocksoi
01-23-2007, 08:41 PM
Another guy might be Brian Smith. He was a sack master before he got hurt, and we could easily grab him in the 3rd or 4th.

Smooth Criminal
01-23-2007, 08:59 PM

yeah, so we need a new line coach, wide recievers coach, running backs coach, anything else?

Whipple could still get fired. Bouchet said the DBs coach was likely to get fired aswell.

Linebackers anmd D-line coach are supposed to stay.

mikehop05
01-23-2007, 09:06 PM
damn, scott didnt see steelers talkin to anyone

Smooth Criminal
01-23-2007, 09:21 PM
Heres an interesting read.

DID STEELERS YANK RUG FROM GRIMM?

As the media continues to try to understand the process that resulted in conflicting reports regarding whether the Steelers would hire Mike Tomlin or Russ Grimm to be the team's next head coach, the hot rumor at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Alabama (where various league types currently are gathered) is that Grimm was indeed offered the job before it went to Tomlin.

As the story goes, the Steelers called Grimm on Saturday and told him not to believe what the media was reporting about Tomlin. Then, the Steelers and Grimm negotiated a contract, and Grimm was told that he could tell his family that he was the guy, which he did.

But then, as the story goes, Commissioner Roger Goodell got involved and suggested to Steelers chairman Dan Rooney that it would be nice if the Steeler would hire one of the minority candidates, given that the Rooney Rule was named after him. Rooney relented.

On Sunday morning, Rooney met with Art II and Kevin Colbert and told them about the decision. Both initially disagreed because a deal had been done with Grimm. But the contract hadn't been signed, and Art II and Colbert deferred to Dan.

Grimm was then told about the decision, and he was obviously pissed. But, to date, he has been discreet regarding his displeasure, presumably because he plans to continue working in the industry that has only 32 job locations. Tomlin was then called on Sunday afternoon, and he was informed that he was the guy.

One source told us that he has been hearing this rumor "all day" in Alabama. Though we're not saying that any of this actually happened, the mere fact that this story is making the rounds at the Senior Bowl is newsworthy, in our opinion.

PFT

skarocksoi
01-23-2007, 10:02 PM
I dont believe that at all. We are going to hire whomever is best for the team regardless of what race they are. Everyone is caught up in the "black coach mystique" that it makes an interesting story to claim we were persuaded to pick a black coach. I see it as nothing more that a desperate attempt to gain readers. I think the news of Tomlin got out before they could let Grimm know he wasn't the guy.

mikehop05
01-23-2007, 10:23 PM
yeah thats ********, the owners would not change their mind because they didnt hire a minority

sounds like some grimm supporters are stooping to new lows

mikehop05
01-23-2007, 11:21 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07024/756276-66.stm

explains the grimm situation a little bit

JayA55
01-24-2007, 12:28 AM
what this pretty much says is that the Rooneys talked numbers with both Tomlin and Grimm. It sounds like Grimm took contract POSSIBILITY talk the wrong way and jumped the gun. Doesn't seem like the Rooneys renigged on Grimm at all.

Plus, let's remember who we're even talking about here, the ROONEY'S. They don't pull low moves, we all know this.

No foul play here. I feel bad for Tomlin though having to hear all of these rumors when it should be a joyous time for him and his family. All of this will be forgotten about though once he starts winning this year.

richdg
01-24-2007, 08:54 AM
There are a hole bunch of rumors flying. Most of which I don't care about. In the end, I think Grimm and Tomlin were tied in the minds of the Rooneys. I think that since they were tied, they went with Tomlin, to put their money where their mouth is. They are the ones who pushed for the Rooney Rule, so they had to walk the walk.
To be honest, I think far to many, are why to relaxed about this hire. Yes, Tomlin can become a great HC. But we have very little to go on. We were/are a SB team. So we go out and hire a guy with ONLY 6 years of NFL coaching experience, only 1 of which was at the DC level. Yes, Tomlin looks and sound like a good coach. But this is still a huge risk. You would think that last eyars SB Champs. would/could/should have had a list of more experienced coaches to pick from.

neko4
01-24-2007, 09:27 AM
whats up guys?? steelers fan from dallas joining in.

mikehop05
01-24-2007, 11:05 AM

whats up man, glad to get another steeler person on these forums

steel man
01-24-2007, 11:14 AM

whats up! welcome

mikehop05
01-24-2007, 11:15 AM
There are a hole bunch of rumors flying. Most of which I don't care about. In the end, I think Grimm and Tomlin were tied in the minds of the Rooneys. I think that since they were tied, they went with Tomlin, to put their money where their mouth is. They are the ones who pushed for the Rooney Rule, so they had to walk the walk.
To be honest, I think far to many, are why to relaxed about this hire. Yes, Tomlin can become a great HC. But we have very little to go on. We were/are a SB team. So we go out and hire a guy with ONLY 6 years of NFL coaching experience, only 1 of which was at the DC level. Yes, Tomlin looks and sound like a good coach. But this is still a huge risk. You would think that last eyars SB Champs. would/could/should have had a list of more experienced coaches to pick from.

well anyone was a risk once you think about it, the only non-risk would be for cowher to stay...

grimm has just as much HC experience as tomlin did, and he was never a coordinator...

people said this when they hired knoll and cowher..

knoll had no HC or coordinator experience

cowher has a couple years in KC as the DC

So really, Tomlin is no different than anyone else, in fact, you could say he is the 2nd most experienced HC hired by the Steelers since knoll, having it go:

Cowher (3 years as DC)
Tomlin (1 year as DC)
Grimm (0 years as any Coordinator, but more time in leauge)
Knoll ( 0 years as any Coordinator, least experienced)

steel man
01-24-2007, 11:20 AM
i am going to ask you guys something and i do not want to get killed for asking so be ready (lol)

do you guys think that we should have went after Ahmad Brooks LB,UVA more, now knowing our need for LBer's plus knowing that we prob. are going to the 4-3 in a year or two.

BigRob
01-24-2007, 11:43 AM
i am going to ask you guys something and i do not want to get killed for asking so be ready (lol)

do you guys think that we should have went after Ahmad Brooks LB,UVA more, now knowing our need for LBer's plus knowing that we prob. are going to the 4-3 in a year or two.

Brooks played in a 3-4 in college, why would we have drafted him knowing now that we are going to 4-3 in a few years. Not to mention all of the character issues.

skarocksoi
01-24-2007, 11:47 AM
Well we didn't know we might go to a 4-3 then, and as they say, hindsight is 20/20. He seems to be a pretty good player, but the character issues did scare me. Plus we would have had to give up a 3rd rounder for him, and I think we can pick up a decent linebacker in this draft in the 3rd, so no real loss in my opinion.

Side note: Kordell Stewart is now on the show Pros Vs Joes.

mikehop05
01-24-2007, 12:11 PM
yeah i mean brooks' character issues concern me

and yeah i saw kordell on cold pizza lol cant wait to see the pros vs joes show

neko4
01-24-2007, 12:12 PM

I don't know much about him. it looks like he has good size, but considering the Bengals picked him up, he probably has a bad attitude and will be arrested in the near future if he already hasn't.

mikehop05
01-24-2007, 12:31 PM

I don't know much about him. it looks like he has good size, but considering the Bengals picked him up, he probably has a bad attitude and will be arrested in the near future if he already hasn't.

haha true that, he got kicked off the UVA team, which is why he went to the supplmental draft and not the reg. draft

neko4
01-24-2007, 12:40 PM
yea there is so much talent at LB (inside and out) in this draft that, i'm glad we didn't pick him up because we can prolly pickup someone better than him in the later rounds (3-4) without the attitude.

mikehop05
01-24-2007, 01:02 PM
yea there is so much talent at LB (inside and out) in this draft that, i'm glad we didn't pick him up because we can prolly pickup someone better than him in the later rounds (3-4) without the attitude.

yeah this is a great 2nd tier LB draft, and a good top tier OLB/DE draft

NFLBOY
01-24-2007, 01:16 PM
To be honest, I think far to many, are why to relaxed about this hire. Yes, Tomlin can become a great HC. But we have very little to go on. We were/are a SB team. So we go out and hire a guy with ONLY 6 years of NFL coaching experience, only 1 of which was at the DC level. Yes, Tomlin looks and sound like a good coach. But this is still a huge risk. You would think that last eyars SB Champs. would/could/should have had a list of more experienced coaches to pick from. Got to agree with every thing you said. I don't like this hire and I believe it will bite us in the butt. This has put a bad taste in my mouth. I wasn't very impressed by his press conference either. Didn't seem to have the fire or passion I was looking for. Maybe other Steelers fans are trying to believe they were impressed with it. I just don't think he has the Steelers mentality.

mikehop05
01-24-2007, 01:40 PM
To be honest, I think far to many, are why to relaxed about this hire. Yes, Tomlin can become a great HC. But we have very little to go on. We were/are a SB team. So we go out and hire a guy with ONLY 6 years of NFL coaching experience, only 1 of which was at the DC level. Yes, Tomlin looks and sound like a good coach. But this is still a huge risk. You would think that last eyars SB Champs. would/could/should have had a list of more experienced coaches to pick from. Got to agree with every thing you said. I don't like this hire and I believe it will bite us in the butt. This has put a bad taste in my mouth. I wasn't very impressed by his press conference either. Didn't seem to have the fire or passion I was looking for. Maybe other Steelers fans are trying to believe they were impressed with it. I just don't think he has the Steelers mentality.

i disagree with everything you said, you may be the only person unimpressed with this guy, and his mentality IS that of the steelers, playing tough football... this guy just seems to energize the room and i can see him energizing the players

BigRob
01-24-2007, 06:45 PM
Looks like Ken Anderson is Ben's new QB coach and Darren Perry has tendered his resignation as Secondary coach.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07024/756585-66.stm

richdg
01-24-2007, 08:33 PM
I'll explain some of the differences. When Noll was hired the Steelers were terrible. We were lucky to win more than 3 games a year. Nobody wanted to be the Steelers coach, so Art had to take a big risk. It worked. When Cowher was hired we were average. In 88 we were 5-11, 89 we were 9-7, 90 we were 9-7, and 91 we were 7-9. Now we are one of the best. 15-1. 11-5 with a SB win, then a down year at 8-8. So why didn't we get some big name coaches? Let me compare. Many on this forum are PSU fans. How would you feel after JoePa retires if PSU hired a D2 coach? I am a Michigan fan, when Carr retires, I will be pissed if they don't hire someone with a proven track record. Yes, DC and OC have a track record. How is it that Alabama can go out and get one of the top rated coaches, and we can't?
I hope Tomlin is a great coach. But we are hoping that lightning strikes 3 times. We are a very good team, yes we need some work, but this may be a step back. Most of the coaches are going to leave over the next 2 years. We are not the Lions, nor do we want to become them. Changing coaches every couple of years is something we don't want to do.
As for Grimm, it is very possible he is a victim of being the right place at the wrong time. Look at Johnson and Kiffin. 2 of the best DC's around, and never had the chance to be the head man.

mikehop05
01-24-2007, 08:42 PM
I'll explain some of the differences. When Noll was hired the Steelers were terrible. We were lucky to win more than 3 games a year. Nobody wanted to be the Steelers coach, so Art had to take a big risk. It worked. When Cowher was hired we were average. In 88 we were 5-11, 89 we were 9-7, 90 we were 9-7, and 91 we were 7-9. Now we are one of the best. 15-1. 11-5 with a SB win, then a down year at 8-8. So why didn't we get some big name coaches? Let me compare. Many on this forum are PSU fans. How would you feel after JoePa retires if PSU hired a D2 coach? I am a Michigan fan, when Carr retires, I will be pissed if they don't hire someone with a proven track record. Yes, DC and OC have a track record. How is it that Alabama can go out and get one of the top rated coaches, and we can't?
I hope Tomlin is a great coach. But we are hoping that lightning strikes 3 times. We are a very good team, yes we need some work, but this may be a step back. Most of the coaches are going to leave over the next 2 years. We are not the Lions, nor do we want to become them. Changing coaches every couple of years is something we don't want to do.
As for Grimm, it is very possible he is a victim of being the right place at the wrong time. Look at Johnson and Kiffin. 2 of the best DC's around, and never had the chance to be the head man.

yea you bring up some very good points, but i mean we can argue about this all day but still, we really wont know untill the season

skarocksoi
01-24-2007, 08:53 PM
Why is Grimm any better? He hasn't been an Offensive Coordinator or a Head Coach anywhere else in this league. He's had the same position in this league for the past 14 years and he still has that position to this day. That concerns me more than a young guy who is spoken of highly by everyone who has ever met the man and his risen in the ranks of the NFL and a lightning pace. I'm really starting to believe that Grimm will never be more than what he is now because he might not be cut out for anything else. He didn't even get the job as the O coordinator in Arizona. Other than AZ, where did he even interview? Those seem like much bigger red flags.

Also, the Steelers never go out and get the big name guy, whether its players or coaches, and frankly I prefer it that way. They look past the big name and see what the man can bring to the table. Thats the way it should be done. Neither Grimm or Tomlin were any better in terms of experience they had running an organization, so there has to be some other reason you don't like Tomlin. He's expressed the attitude that the steelers love of hard, blue collar football and I think he's gonna give us the best shot of winning in the future. What happens remains to be seen, but right now he's our coach.

richdg
01-24-2007, 09:09 PM
Like I said. I hope Tomlin turns into a great coach. I am just wondering aloud why we didn't have more proven coaches apply. Is there really a problem with the amount of money that the Rooney's are willing to pay? There was the story out there that Cowher was leaving because the Rooney's were not willing to pay his price. Now, I never heard him say naything about it, but could it be a issue? Yes timing has something to do with it. But, when Dallas needed a new coach they went and got Parcells, when SD needed a coach they got Schotty, KC went and got Edwards, etc....
My point is, we are one of the top fanchises in the NFL. The best we can do is a couple of assitants! With the new guy only having 6 years of experience!
Going into this I ranked the coaches we were interveiwing: 1. Whiz/Grimm, 2. Riveria, 3. Gailey, and 4. Tomlin.

mikehop05
01-24-2007, 09:12 PM
Like I said. I hope Tomlin turns into a great coach. I am just wondering aloud why we didn't have more proven coaches apply. Is there really a problem with the amount of money that the Rooney's are willing to pay? There was the story out there that Cowher was leaving because the Rooney's were not willing to pay his price. Now, I never heard him say naything about it, but could it be a issue? Yes timing has something to do with it. But, when Dallas needed a new coach they went and got Parcells, when SD needed a coach they got Schotty, KC went and got Edwards, etc....
My point is, we are one of the top fanchises in the NFL. The best we can do is a couple of assitants! With the new guy only having 6 years of experience!
Going into this I ranked the coaches we were interveiwing: 1. Whiz/Grimm, 2. Riveria, 3. Gailey, and 4. Tomlin.

i went
1. tomlin 2. whiz 3. rivera 4.grimm 5. gailey

BigRob
01-24-2007, 09:20 PM

What more proven coaches were there to apply? Why do you want re-treads? You are always going to take a chance with a coach.

What did Grimm do that made him more qualified than Tomlin? Whiz and Rivera was the only more qualified candidates and Whiz jumped for Arizona apparently pretty quickly.

By all accounts Tomlin is very well respected and was going to be a head coach in the league before very long at all.

excanuck
01-24-2007, 09:22 PM

If cowher was leaving cause the money wouldn't he get a job somewhere else?

mikehop05
01-24-2007, 09:45 PM

If cowher was leaving cause the money wouldn't he get a job somewhere else?

he didnt say that was the reason cowher left

richdg
01-24-2007, 09:50 PM
He could, but another team would have to "pay" us for him. Like TB did with Gruden a couple years ago.
Let's talk about other coaches that were/are available. Smith DC for Jacksonville. He has had that position for 5 years. Year after year jack. has one of the best and toughest D's around. He is 47. Capers DC for Miami. Again every year his D's are great. For Steelers DC, has HC experience. Did a great job in Carl. and a bad one in Houston. Trgovec DC for the Panthers. 6 years as DC, alwasy has one of the top units, is 46 I believe. Solari OC for KC. Has been on their staff for 10 years. Has over 20 years of NFL experience, was the Steelers Line coach in the 80's. Ran KC's O this past year and was their OL coach for 9 years before that. year after year KC has had on of the best O's and one of the best OLs. Williams DC for the Redskins. Again has HC experience, runs a great D for Washington and did the same for the Giants. Cameron, now the HC for Miami. Ran SD's O for the past 5 years. Developed 2 great young QB's in Brees and Rivers, and had one of the best O's around. Used Gates and LT to their max. Could have done the same with Miller, Parker and Ben.
So there are 6 coaches, all with far more experience than Tomlin, all with longer track records, all should/will get their chance. All use a physical styles of play. Some even have HC experience. All would be around/available for at least 10 years.
When these names are added to Whiz, Grimm and Riveria, who did we end up with Tomlin? This is looking very risky to me. But Tomlin is the coach, GO STEELERS!

JayA55
01-24-2007, 10:02 PM

Wow, I have no idea what makes you feel that way, as far as him not having that Steelers mentality.
As it has probably already been mentioned Tomlin is all about running the ball and stopping the run. That's not just BS talk from him either to collect a check from the Steelers, the Vikes only gave up 2.8 per on the ground, so I think he's very much about what he says. Now that's an impressive run defense with the likes of the Vikings, just imagine how much he could do with a better front 7 like ours.

More importantly though Mike Tomlin seems like a class act, he's very confident in himself, and it seems like he has easily earned the respect of the players that he has coached.

If that's not a Steelers' type of coach I don't know what is.

mikehop05
01-24-2007, 10:06 PM
richdg said it best, after all we are still steeler fans

GO STEELERS!

JayA55
01-24-2007, 10:13 PM
Having the potential to become a great head coach is A LOT more than simply being a hot D/O coord.

I see a lot of you guys throwing names out there on the lone basis of them running a good D, that's obviously a plus but you have to have more of a basis for wanting them than just that, there's so much more to the job.

skarocksoi
01-24-2007, 10:38 PM
richdg said it best, after all we are still steeler fans

GO STEELERS!

It's true. Let's spread the love and wave dem terrible towels!

skarocksoi
01-24-2007, 10:42 PM
For everyone's veiwing pleasure, heres a pretty funny website that is basically Pittsburgh's version of the onion.

http://carbolicsmokeblog.blogspot.com/

mikehop05
01-24-2007, 11:10 PM
For everyone's veiwing pleasure, heres a pretty funny website that is basically Pittsburgh's version of the onion.

http://carbolicsmokeblog.blogspot.com/

lol good stuff

mikehop05
01-24-2007, 11:22 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07025/756684-66.stm

good article on tomlin and the steelers

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07025/756692-66.stm

another on the structural organization

Mr. Stiller
01-25-2007, 01:41 AM
Guys:

1) Tomlin is keeping the 3-4.

2) Tomlin won the job, because of his organization, enthusiasm, and motivation.

3) He's a Run heavy coach.

4) Just because he's laid back at the press conferences doesn't mean ****. Look at Cowher, He always had a Christmas Sweater and very soft spoken at Press Conferences, then on the Field.. F*ck this F*ck that.

5) I look at it this way. Tomlin may be a great Pick. Where do the steelers tend to have Busts? ... DB/LB/WR... What is Tomlins area of Expertise?

Frankly I was skeptical at first. Also, if he has a rough year, it shouldn't be a big deal, it's hard for every coach to win their first season, don't get caught up in the Mangini/Payton Idealology where every first year coach goes to the playoffs. But he's keeping the 3-4, and if he can implement a cover 2 Secondary on our 3-4. We'll be pretty sick. Ike is built for it. He's better jamming guys at the line. Mcfadden is solid enough to Jam and Anthony Smith is perfect for it. Only Thing I'm really curious about, Is what could he do with Troy Polamalu. He may Take a guy Like Reggie Nelson as well. Run a modified 3-3-5 at times.. Nelson at FS because he's faster, An Smith at SS Because he's a tad slower, but a bigger hitter, and let Troy Play Rover. Also, he was pretty good in his own right for Defensive Schemes, imagine what He and LeBeau could cook up? He was strong in the secondary. LeBeau is weak, he's great at disguising the front 7, but he can't do good coverages.

Before we get upset, Do realize like what a few posted before. Tomlin is no more proven than Cowher or Noll were when they were hired. Obviously he has something going for him or they wouldn't have hired him.

With that Said, Here is my latest mock.

Trade down from #15 to #25 & #38(Washington Originally)

1) Jarvis Moss, OLB, Florida
http://www.gatorzone.com/football/images/sun29/1127606939.jpg
With the Lack of 3-4 Talent at OLB, Jarvis is the best athletically suited to be picked this high. He can back up Joey Porter or Clark Haggans and learn a few things before taking over the reigns soon.

2a) Tony Hunt, RB, PSU
http://www.cumberlink.com/PSUfootball/04/game01/images/0906_tony_hunt.jpg
Quickly climbing because of a terrific Senior Bowl, will be our Powerback and the trio of Najeh, Willie and Tony Hunt give us a solid and unstoppable running game.

2b) Desmond Bishop, ILB, California
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/cal/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/297663.jpeg
The Guy is pure intensity. David Harris is a better gap plugger, but he's not as athletic, quick reacting, and solid in coverage as Bishop. I like both, but Bishop is the better of the 2 and He's a big hitter and a solid open field tackler. Good at reading the ball. Gives us a future behind Farrior

3) Paul Williams, WR, Fresno State
http://www.maxwaugh.com/images/fresno04/pwilliams.jpg
ABit of a showboat, but he's very talented, very fast, and veryphysical. Gives us a respectable slot guy and can take over #1 whenHines Leaves.

4a) Nathan Bennett, OG, Clemson
http://cache.viewimages.com/xt/72742902.jpg?v=1&g=editorial_na&s=1
Solid Gaurd. Athletic and can block for Power/Speed Rushing.

4b) Brian Smith, OLB, Missouri
http://www.showmenews.com/2005/Sep/0903slideFOOTBALL/06.jpg
He falls, I'll tell you why. Scouts haven't forgotten him, but they haven't invited him to the combine. He'll have a pro day. Smith could have been a round 1 guy if not for the broken hip. Adding him and Moss gives us 2 very talented, strong and fast De to OLB converts to attack the QB's in the future. One of them should be able to start in a year or 2. If we start to go to a 4-3. These are 2 great DE's that aren't undersized and will get pressure on the QB.

4c) Jay Alford, DT(DE), PSU
http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2006/04/04-21-06cm/04-21-06dsports-04b.jpg
Alford Gives us a solid DE to backup Aaron Smith. And on Pass rushing downs, He and Hampton/Hoke can share the middle and we could have Brian Smith, Clark Haggans, Jarvis Moss, Brian Smith, Joey Porter ... any one of them drop their Hand.

5) Ben Patrick, TE, Delaware
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/duke/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/38096.jpeg
6'4 270 lbs. Solid reciever but is a great blocker. He'll slowly allow us to get rid of Tuman. Another Weapon for Ben, but also a strong blocker. Add with Tony Hunt, we're getting more powerful blockers to protect Ben.

6)Stephon Heyer, OT, Maryland.
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/md/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/214220.jpeg
Whether Starks stays or goes, I don't know. But This kid is underrated. He has been the LT for quite some time, and he's seen his share of top tier talent. Gaines Adams, Manny Lawson, Mario Williams.. He's also had success against them. Gives us depth at worst and a possible future RT, if Colon moves to Gaurd.

7) Adam Podlesh, P, Maryland
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/md/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/a-podlesh-a1-c03.jpg
Guy has never had a punt blocked. Runs a sub 4.5 40' and he can really sky high a punt. Good tackler in the open field as well, I watched quite a few Maryland games and he's had to make plays in the return game and normally does.

skarocksoi
01-25-2007, 08:31 AM
Havent seen you around in a while Stiller, and it's nice to see a new mock from you too. I like what you have, but there's one guy who stands out to me as a guy I want, and thats Dwayne Bowe. He's ripping things up at the Senior Bowl, and I'm wondering if we might pick him up if he's around late first early second. How good is Williams in comparison?

richdg
01-25-2007, 08:31 AM
Cowher took the team to the playoffs his first year as well. Tomlin will get 1 year to reorganize the team. After that he better be in the playoffs. If not, the press and fans will be all over him.

neko4
01-25-2007, 09:49 AM
Havent seen you around in a while Stiller, and it's nice to see a new mock from you too. I like what you have, but there's one guy who stands out to me as a guy I want, and thats Dwayne Bowe. He's ripping things up at the Senior Bowl, and I'm wondering if we might pick him up if he's around late first early second. How good is Williams in comparison?

Growing up in Louisiana and being an LSU fan, I get to watch all the games and I can tell you Bowe is a beast. a man beast at that. I would not be opposed to pick him up at all.

Smooth Criminal
01-25-2007, 09:52 AM
Everyone is making a big deal out of Tomlin's lack of experience but at the same time Cowher only had 7 years in the league before we hired him.

richdg
01-25-2007, 10:19 AM
Again 3 years of being a DC vs 1, and we were not 1 year removed from the SB. We were an average team when Cowher took over. We are a contender now. BIG difference.

NFLBOY
01-25-2007, 11:40 AM

If cowher was leaving cause the money wouldn't he get a job somewhere else? Cowher was offered 6 million a year last season, or at least before the season started, and then they stopped contract talks because of the season starting. Also Cowher couldn't get a job somewhere else, because he was signed with us through 07.

BuffaloBills1976
01-25-2007, 12:14 PM
With that Said, Here is my latest mock.

Trade down from #15 to #25 & #38(Washington Originally)...

Can I just say that I love this mock. I really think that the Steelers need to trade down from where they are at. Picking up a few extra guys who are still very high quality I think will be better for us right now than a stud of some sort. Very nice idea. Tony Hunt would be perfect for the Steelers.

Does anyone have any thoughts on any FA pickups?

DeathbyStat
01-25-2007, 01:11 PM
As I've been watching the senoir bowl practices,Anthony Spencer as well as Brandon Myles have really impressed. With that being said I think we could this way in the draft.

1.Dwayne Jarrett

2.Anthony Spencer

3.Tony Hunt

OR

1.Patrick Willis

2.Anthony Spencer

3.Brandon Miles

BigRob
01-25-2007, 01:28 PM
Again 3 years of being a DC vs 1, and we were not 1 year removed from the SB. We were an average team when Cowher took over. We are a contender now. BIG difference.

In this league of parity, going 8-8 does not mean you are going to be a contender next year. At the same time, going 6-10 does not mean that you can't go 15-1 the next year.

The point being that the players would be complacent with Grimm or Whisenhunt as the head coach. The team would be getting the same message Cowher has been giving them for years. Tomlin will be more energetic and a different kind of motivator. They know there jobs are truly on the line.

JayA55
01-25-2007, 02:03 PM
Paul Williams would be amazing value in the 3rd, I think he can move up to a late 2nd rounder if he continues to impress at the Senior Bowl though.
Personally I'm not sold on a Jarrett pick, the guy seems far too arrogant, plus we already have two WRs with #1 talent, at best Jarrett would be a slot WR for us.

I'm still toying with the idea of going with Amobi Okoye round one, here's why.

Amobi Okoye would open up the possibility of having a solid 4-3 subpackage to utilize. Play Hampton and Okoye on the inside and any between tackle running is stuffed.

Then you allow him to mature, bulk up, and eventually become Hamptons replacement at 3-4 NT, or you start building around him for a full move to the 4-3.

Amobi is young enough with enough potential to allow for a slow and steady transition to a 4-3 or fully replace Hampton within 3-4 years, whichever route we decide to go he would really provide us with a lot of versatility to do so.

Further, within that 4-3 package with those two holding the inside I actually think Joey Porter would be best suited as the Mike. Hampton and Amobi would still allow Porter to roam pretty free against the run, because frankly at this point I'm not convinced if Porter can have an impact season if he's forced to play in traffic shedding a lot of blocks, he needs to be free IMO. So, he'll still be good against the run using his speed, and more importantly he's the best suited LB we have to cover the deep middle and play man to man with WRs, something you have to do in the cover2. Porter already proved he can man up with WRs this year so he'll be good in a cover2. Then I would either put Farrior or Foote strong side, and our fastest LB behind Porter weakside.

Killer D IMO

Then go offensive line via FA, RB 2nd round, CB or LB 3rd.

Mr. Stiller
01-25-2007, 02:39 PM
I'll try an answer everything:

Bowe has a problem with the Dropsies, While he's a good physical reciever, he'll likely go higher than we can worry ourselves with a WR. Williams is slotted to have 4.3 Speed, is physical and a beast. Want Proof?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LOyYVnN4bTs

He's as hard to tackle as a TE. He's a long strider and runs crisp routes. He's a bit of a showboat, but we can handle that. We could use a fiery guy on Offense.

Cowher took the team to the playoffs his first year as well. Tomlin will get 1 year to reorganize the team. After that he better be in the playoffs. If not, the press and fans will be all over him.

I know thats likely the case and shouldn't be. Tomlin is not Cowher, and we should respect what he's going to do with this team.

Growing up in Louisiana and being an LSU fan, I get to watch all the games and I can tell you Bowe is a beast. a man beast at that. I would not be opposed to pick him up at all.

I wouldn't either, however his vision is still an issue and he has dropsies. He's the best Blocking WR in this draft, but I think he'll go too early for us.

Can I just say that I love this mock. I really think that the Steelers need to trade down from where they are at. Picking up a few extra guys who are still very high quality I think will be better for us right now than a stud of some sort. Very nice idea. Tony Hunt would be perfect for the Steelers.

Does anyone have any thoughts on any FA pickups?

I agree Tony Hunt would be perfect. As much as Tomlin may have input I'm almost certain we won't make any big FA pickups. At most another Journeyman like Clark.

As I've been watching the senoir bowl practices,Anthony Spencer as well as Brandon Myles have really impressed. With that being said I think we could this way in the draft.

1.Dwayne Jarrett

2.Anthony Spencer

3.Tony Hunt

OR

1.Patrick Willis

2.Anthony Spencer

3.Brandon Miles

I've been watching as well.. I don't get Mayocks obsession with Spencer. He's getting beat, in the Maryland game he got beat 1on1 with the TE. I was a huge advocate for spencer, but the more i've seen of him, the less impressed I am.

I like Myles, but he's still dropping the easys and he's really frail to be a pittsburgh WR.

In this league of parity, going 8-8 does not mean you are going to be a contender next year. At the same time, going 6-10 does not mean that you can't go 15-1 the next year.

The point being that the players would be complacent with Grimm or Whisenhunt as the head coach. The team would be getting the same message Cowher has been giving them for years. Tomlin will be more energetic and a different kind of motivator. They know there jobs are truly on the line.

Well put sir. I only ever had 2 gripes with Cowher. 1 being that he's too loyal. In a game where you need to have your best 11 on the field at all times, he wouldn't keep someone young to contend with "his guy". Now I'm glad he knew how to work with Porter and all, but frankly, loyalty is only necesary to the organization. Your job is to put the best team on the field, and Frankly I think this season he clearly did not do that (Among others).

My 2nd Gripe, is his drafts. Cowher has been a horrible grader of talent for the steelers. He didn't take much input. Always took different guys. Well Lets see if Tomlin, LeBeau, Arians and Colbert can do better. I'm tired of only getting 3 guys per draft. Why can New Orleans get a Marques Colston. We normally end up cutting all of our day 2 guys.. Why?
Can't we develop raw talent? This has to stop.

Paul Williams would be amazing value in the 3rd, I think he can move up to a late 2nd rounder if he continues to impress at the Senior Bowl though.
Personally I'm not sold on a Jarrett pick, the guy seems far too arrogant, plus we already have two WRs with #1 talent, at best Jarrett would be a slot WR for us.

I'm still toying with the idea of going with Amobi Okoye round one, here's why.

Amobi Okoye would open up the possibility of having a solid 4-3 subpackage to utilize. Play Hampton and Okoye on the inside and any between tackle running is stuffed.

Then you allow him to mature, bulk up, and eventually become Hamptons replacement at 3-4 NT, or you start building around him for a full move to the 4-3.

Amobi is young enough with enough potential to allow for a slow and steady transition to a 4-3 or fully replace Hampton within 3-4 years, whichever route we decide to go he would really provide us with a lot of versatility to do so.

Further, within that 4-3 package with those two holding the inside I actually think Joey Porter would be best suited as the Mike. Hampton and Amobi would still allow Porter to roam pretty free against the run, because frankly at this point I'm not convinced if Porter can have an impact season if he's forced to play in traffic shedding a lot of blocks, he needs to be free IMO. So, he'll still be good against the run using his speed, and more importantly he's the best suited LB we have to cover the deep middle and play man to man with WRs, something you have to do in the cover2. Porter already proved he can man up with WRs this year so he'll be good in a cover2. Then I would either put Farrior or Foote strong side, and our fastest LB behind Porter weakside.

Killer D IMO

Then go offensive line via FA, RB 2nd round, CB or LB 3rd.

For WR: I would love Paul Williams. He's a bit cocky, but training under Tomlin and Arians will cut it down, even if not, it's Not Terell Owens cocky, it's confidence expressed outward. We could use a guy like him to fire up our offense. Even if he's only our #3 WR. He's a guy that ben can finally trust to just go up and get the ball. He's only 6'1/6'2, but he's a terrific jumper, and he's a fighter. He gets his ball.

As for Okobi. I put thought into it. And I didn't go with him for a few reasons in my mock.

1) I figured he'd be gone before 15
2) I don't think he'd be ready to play UT yet. He'd take a year or two and we need something a little sooner than that.

With my mock...

1) Jarvis Moss, DE, Florida (OLB)
Good Measureables/Size, Could bulk up to play 3-4 DE, but is a solid pass rusher with good speed and strength. Gives us a Jason Taylor type player. Able to play 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB.

2a) Tony Hunt, RB, PSU
Solid Bruiser we need to give Willie a few less Carries.

2b) Desmond Bishop, MLB, California
James Farrior V2.0. He's a solid Tackling machine with Great instincts and solid coverage ability.

Big play physical WR that can play slot and give us a big play option. 4.4/4.3 fast, falls because of bad senior season, but no doubt this kid could be our future #1.

Solid Speed/Power run blocker, somewhat raw but will learn behind the best.

4b) Brian Smith, DE, Missouri(OLB)
Falls because almost eveyrone forgot about him. Was almost the big XII career sack record holder. Broke his hip and now, not even a combine invite. This guy could have had a DeMarcus Ware like rise because of his intangibles and ability to even play OLB in a 4-3 Scheme at times at Missouri. Solid pickup that just needs some time to grow behind vets.

4c) Jay Alford, DT, PSU (DE)
Felcher picked him and I thought about it. Seeing every PSU game I liked Alford but didn't give him much thought. He's perfect for my 3-4/4-3 Hybrid.

6'4 270lbs of OT playing TE with solid speed and good hands, basically our version of Ben Graham.

6) Stephon Heyer, OT, Maryland
Solid LT who's faced some of the best DE's in college. Mario Williams, Gaines Adams and Manny Lawson. Fairly Raw, but athletic. Could give depth or possibly end up a day 2 steal if he can learn to play LT.

Solid punter, very athletic, likely won't last this long, but who knows, the draft is really unpredictable.

UDFA guys:
Tim Castille,FB
LeRon McClain is getting drafted, but his backup is a solid FB in his own right

Nate Ilaoa, FB
A year or two on the PS with a strength regiment and he could be the FB to Marice Jones-Drews RB. A solid bowling ball that is fast enough and powerful enough to get under the tackles of would be defenders.

Sawyer Smith/Brett Ratliff/Isaiah Stanback/Drew Tate/Sam Hollenbach/Stephen Moffett, QB -
I didn't address QB in the draft and would like the Steelers to sign a guy like Smith or Ratliff in UDFA (Among some other guys if they fall.) or a guy like Patrick Ramsey just to get St. Pierre off the roster.

Quinton Echols (If Possible),
NT from KSU, big reason to their success. If he's in UDFA he's definitely a guy I want to sign.

We get 2 OLB DE converts. Brian Smith and Jarvis Moss. That will allow us to do a number of things.

3-4 Base setup:

LDE: Aaron Smith -> Jay Alford -> Shaun Nua
NT: Casey Hampton -> Chris Hoke -> Quinton Echols
RDE: Brett Keisel -> Rodney Bailey -> Travis Kirschke

LOLB: Joey Porter -> Jarvis Moss -> Arnold Harrison
LILB: Larry Foote -> Goo Wallace -> Clint Kreidwaldt
RILB: James Farrior -> Desmond Bishop
ROLB: Clark Haggans -> James Harrison -> Brian Smith

CB: Ike Taylor -> Anthony Madison -> Chidi Iwuoma
CB: Bryant McFadden -> DeShea Townsend -> Ricardo Colclough
FS: Anthony Smith -> Ryan Clark
SS: Troy Polamalu -> Tyrone Carter

4-3 Base Setup:

LDE: Clark Haggans -> Jarvis Moss -> Brian Smith -> Rodney Bailey
NT: Casey Hampton -> Chris Hoke -> Quinton Echols
UT: Aaron Smith -> Jay Alford
RDE: Brett Keisel -> Brian Smith -> Rodney Bailey

LOLB: Joey Porter -> Brian Smith
MLB: James Farrior -> Desmond Bishop
ROLB: James Harrison/Larry Foote -> Brian Smith

CB: Ike Taylor -> Anthony Madison -> Chidi Iwuoma
CB: Bryant McFadden -> DeShea Townsend -> Ricardo Colclough

And if you don't think Aaron Smith could pull of UT, use Jay Alford.

neko4
01-25-2007, 03:45 PM
Good Measureables/Size, Could bulk up to play 3-4 DE, but is a solid pass rusher with good speed and strength. Gives us a Jason Taylor type player. Able to play 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB.

2a) Tony Hunt, RB, PSU

James Farrior V2.0. He's a solid Tackling machine with Great instincts and solid coverage ability.

Big play physical WR that can play slot and give us a big play option. 4.4/4.3 fast, falls because of bad senior season, but no doubt this kid could be our future #1.

Falls because almost eveyrone forgot about him. Was almost the big XII career sack record holder. Broke his hip and now, not even a combine invite. This guy could have had a DeMarcus Ware like rise because of his intangibles and ability to even play OLB in a 4-3 Scheme at times at Missouri. Solid pickup that just needs some time to grow behind vets.

Felcher picked him and I thought about it. Seeing every PSU game I liked Alford but didn't give him much thought. He's perfect for my 3-4/4-3 Hybrid.

6'4 270lbs of OT playing TE with solid speed and good hands, basically our version of Ben Graham.

Solid LT who's faced some of the best DE's in college. Mario Williams, Gaines Adams and Manny Lawson. Fairly Raw, but athletic. Could give depth or possibly end up a day 2 steal if he can learn to play LT.

Solid punter, very athletic, likely won't last this long, but who knows, the draft is really unpredictable think

i could pull an "O" face over that mock. and no doubt that aaron smith could play DT, i like the way your broke down 3-4 and 4-3. looks great either way.

mikehop05
01-25-2007, 04:42 PM
where are all of these new commers comming from?

anyways, good to see you around again stiller,

if we stay at 15... what do you propose we do?

i think BPA, wheter it be Jarrett or Willis... or even Adams (who hurt his stock not playing in the senior bowl)

Smooth Criminal
01-25-2007, 04:56 PM

Then you look at it and say two guys, Eric Mangini and Sean Payton, took much worse teams than ours and took them into the playoffs in their first year. I don't think either of them had much experience either, only thing I know is that Mangini only had 1 year as a OC.

I think being a coordinator over a postions coach is overrated when looking at HCs. Grimm was our runner up and he has never been a coordinator.

neko4
01-25-2007, 05:11 PM

we lurk long enough you decide to join in on the conversations being had.

i think BPA, wheter it be Jarrett or Willis... or even Adams (who hurt his stock not playing in the senior bowl)

and i say we go Willis if we are looking at BPA because he is the best linebacker in this draft and we could pick up someone like Williams or Rice later on in the draft.

mikehop05
01-25-2007, 06:14 PM

and i say we go Willis if we are looking at BPA because he is the best linebacker in this draft and we could pick up someone like Williams or Rice later on in the draft.

true, but then again Jarrett is exactly what we need reciever wise, (big target)

who knows though, i am looking forward to the senior bowl game and then the combine / work out days

JayA55
01-25-2007, 07:45 PM
first round pick on a WR that will be 3rd on the depth chart? What are we Millen fans all of a sudden? lol

Jarret is great but I think our WRs are pretty good.

neko4
01-25-2007, 07:48 PM
true, but then again Jarrett is exactly what we need reciever wise, (big target)

i understand what you mean but Rice is 6'4 and Williams is 6'2 and it is said that he has great leaping ability, i don't know either way i would probably be happy. but i am def looking forward to saturday and the combine just to get a better picture.

Mr. Stiller
01-25-2007, 08:49 PM

2a) Tony Hunt, RB, PSU

Solid punter, very athletic, likely won't last this long, but who knows, the draft is really unpredictable think

i could pull an "O" face over that mock. and no doubt that aaron smith could play DT, i like the way your broke down 3-4 and 4-3. looks great either way.

anyways, good to see you around again stiller,

Honestly? I really don't know. Maybe a Guy Like Quentin Moses. However, As much as I want a WR, It can be taken care of later. I love Rice, Jarrett, not so much. I want Williams because he's a tank. He's by far the hardest WR i've ever seen someone have to take down. Willis seems too slow, he's in the HB Blades category to me. Desmond Bishop or David Harris are my MLB choices, with Justin Warren recieving an outside vote. Bishop is my #1 choice. If I have to take someone at 15?

Jaamal Anderson, Reggie Nelson, Darrelle Revis, Levi Brown. However I hope we trade down.

You saw my draft, and it's obvious where i stand.

Then you look at it and say two guys, Eric Mangini and Sean Payton, took much worse teams than ours and took them into the playoffs in their first year. I don't think either of them had much experience either, only thing I know is that Mangini only had 1 year as a OC.

I think being a coordinator over a postions coach is overrated when looking at HCs. Grimm was our runner up and he has never been a coordinator.

Exactly. I think Tomlin and New Coaching staff is what we need. We have a fresh young team. I mean, Porter/Haggans/Hartings/Farrior and Ward are really the only Vets (Forgot DeShea)... Aged Vets I mean. So, Bring in a younger guy that will grow with this team. From all the reports I've read of Tomlin, I think He's a players coach, but he's not exactly going to sit back and take **** like Marvin Lewis. He's a blue Collar guy and the Defense in Minnesota loved playing for him. I think with that mentality and perserverence, I think he'll lead us to the big one. Could even be relatively soon. Took Cowher 15 years to win 1 superbowl with only 4 losing seasons. Noll had 4 in 23 years. Lets see what this kid can do.

I've watched Willis a bit because I was heavily advocating him in the pre-season, and I'm unimpressed, I'd rather get Bishop/Harris/Rory Johnson to play ILB. He's solid, but I think there's better.

who knows though, i am looking forward to the senior bowl game and then the combine / work out days

I think we need to look past the Big WR stigma. I love Sidney Rice cause he's supposed to be what Plaxico was supposed to be. However, Here's an interesting fact. Think of the last bunch of Superbowls. How many of those teams had a 6'4+ WR? We won with no recievers over 6'1.

I'm all for a guy that can win Jump balls. But with the Tomlin/Pittsburgh Mentality, we need a physical WR. Paul Williams is that guy. He's every bit of 4.4 speed, and he's very "springy" for lack of a better term. He's got good jumping ability and he's next to impossible to bring down. He's a bit cocky, but with coaching, he can tame it. Then again, maybe we need a fiery guy with his intensity on offense. Not to run his mouth, but to jump around and fire people up. We don't have one. Ben is about the most animated guy on offense, we need someone with more fire.

first round pick on a WR that will be 3rd on the depth chart? What are we Millen fans all of a sudden? lol

Jarret is great but I think our WRs are pretty good.

Average rule of thumb is it takes 2-4 years to get a WR to full Potential. Hines will be 35 at that time. Will he still be able to put his body on the line? Suicide catches in front of Ray Lewis? I mean, Jerome could barely walk during the season. So Paul Williams or whomever, comes in to play slot for 3 years. Then he takes over #1. I love me some Santonio Holmes, but he's likely a career #2, which is fine with me, because he fills the role perfectly.

i understand what you mean but Rice is 6'4 and Williams is 6'2 and it is said that he has great leaping ability, i don't know either way i would probably be happy. but i am def looking forward to saturday and the combine just to get a better picture.

I like Rice, I do, The more I think of him the more I worry. He's very raw, although he can make big plays, he really didn't. He had trouble distinguishing himself at South Carolina. I chalk some of it up to Syvelle Newton, but He's 10x the Quarterback that Reggie Ball is. So. Even though Paul Williams had a bad Senior Season. I really like Him to be our Fiery #3 that gives Ben a guy that he can occasionally make a bad throw to without retrobution.

Paul Williams:

mikehop05
01-25-2007, 09:14 PM
ill jump on the paul williams bandwagon, if we can get him inthe 3rd or later

neko4
01-25-2007, 10:28 PM
at first i was loving what he was doing but was kinda skeptical because it was against really crappy teams, but there at the end he showed me alot that was darnell bing he dragged 4-5 yards broke alot of tackels so yea he's got heart and i know that is something we look for. i really like the guy.

neko4
01-25-2007, 10:37 PM
Oh and stiller i have been reading this forum for a good while now but one of the reasons that i decided to actually give my 2 cents is because i wanted to tell you i love the avatar thing with harrison body slamming CJ. by far the best one.

mikehop05
01-25-2007, 10:51 PM
Oh and stiller i have been reading this forum for a good while now but one of the reasons that i decided to actually give my 2 cents is because i wanted to tell you i love the avatar thing with harrison body slamming CJ. by far the best one.

hahaha stiller, glad to see you are an inspiration to the youngin's

neko4
01-25-2007, 11:05 PM
terribletowel39 wrote:

i prefer newb. youngin' makes me feel like i am a teenager again. and i will graciously accept the newb name for a while. :D

mikehop05
01-25-2007, 11:08 PM
terribletowel39 wrote:

i prefer newb. youngin' makes me feel like i am a teenager again. and i will graciously accept the newb name for a while. :D

hahah alright alright

Mr. Stiller
01-25-2007, 11:31 PM
ill jump on the paul williams bandwagon, if we can get him inthe 3rd or later

You won't, the Shrine game, got him an invite to the senior bowl.. at worst before then he was looked at as a 4th rounder, He's going to fly up the charts at the combine/Senior bowl.

You'll see my new mock ;)

at first i was loving what he was doing but was kinda skeptical because it was against really crappy teams, but there at the end he showed me alot that was darnell bing he dragged 4-5 yards broke alot of tackels so yea he's got heart and i know that is something we look for. i really like the guy.

That was mostly because during that individual USC game he still had senior Quarterback Paul Pinegar. This year they had such a horrid QB situation that it forced their Center to quit going to class (When I say forced, I mean he was so disgusted he just stop going). Their RB and top WR gone, the Bulldogs have a lot of rebuilding to do.. they need another David Carr.

When you look at SJSU, they have #28(Who Williams Abused heavily). Dwight Lowery (#28 of SJSU) is a possible first round pick next year. He led the NCAA with Interceptions and he's a solid open field tackler. The fact that he plays for SJSU is decieving. Toledo I'll give you. Unfortunately, If Fresno had a better QB, Paul Williams would be 1st round material.. this year.

Haha I saw it on another forums and stole it. That was Harrisons second superplex... everyone claims the Dawkins-plex was better, but Harrison has 2 to his name, and giving Chad Johnson a good old Greyback-Plex was more than suitable for the mugging of Santonio Holmes at the beginning of that game.

with that stated:

NEW MOCK TIME!

Mr. Stiller
01-25-2007, 11:35 PM
Trade down from #15 to #25 & #57 & #89

1) Jarvis Moss, OLB, Florida
http://www.gatorzone.com/football/images/sun29/1127606939.jpg
With the Lack of 3-4 Talent at OLB, Jarvis is the best athletically suited to be picked this high. He can back up Joey Porter or Clark Haggans and learn a few things before taking over the reigns soon.

2) Paul Williams, WR, Fresno State
A Bit of a showboat, but he's very talented, very fast, and very physical. Gives us a respectable slot guy and can take over #1 when Hines Leaves.

3a) Tanard Jackson, CB/FS, Syracuse
http://www.suathletics.com/images/Football/2005/11/23/JacksonTanardFSU05809web.jpg
Tanard Has excellent ball skills and is a big hitter. He also gets reunited with former free safety Anthony Smith. Now, I think here's a solid coverage hiding player. You now have 3 guys that can play safety (Starters). You can shift Tanard to FS, An Smith to SS, Troy To Rover/Corner, or keep safety rotation the same and you have a solid corner. I see this kid as being the next Rashaun Mathis. He's got the skills and he'll be only better getting coached up from Mike Tomlin.

3b) Desmond Bishop, ILB, California
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/cal/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/297663.jpeg
The Guy is pure intensity. David Harris is a better gap plugger, but he's not as athletic, quick reacting, and solid in coverage as Bishop. I like both, but Bishop is the better of the 2 and He's a big hitter and a solid open field tackler. Good at reading the ball. Gives us a future behind Farrior

http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/911/82836.JPG

4b) Brian Smith, OLB, Missouri
http://www.showmenews.com/2005/Sep/0903slideFOOTBALL/06.jpg
He falls, I'll tell you why. Scouts haven't forgotten him, but they haven't invited him to the combine. He'll have a pro day. Smith could have been a round 1 guy if not for the broken hip. Adding him and Moss gives us 2 very talented, strong and fast De to OLB converts to attack the QB's in the future. One of them should be able to start in a year or 2. If we start to go to a 4-3. These are 2 great DE's that aren't undersized and will get pressure on the QB.

4c) Stephon Heyer, OT, Maryland
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/md/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/214220.jpeg
Whether Starks stays or goes, I don't know. But This kid is underrated. He has been the LT for quite some time, and he's seen his share of top tier talent. Gaines Adams, Manny Lawson, Mario Williams.. He's also had success against them. Gives us depth at worst and a possible future LT.

5a) Jay Alford, DT(DE), PSU
I saw Felch make this pick and I thought about it. It was a great pick. Alford Gives us a solid DE to backup Aaron Smith. And on Pass rushing downs, He and Hampton/Hoke can share the middle and we could have Brian Smith, Clark Haggans, Jarvis Moss, Brian Smith, Joey Porter ... any one of them drop their Hand.

5b) Ben Patrick, TE, Delaware
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/duke/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/38096.jpeg
6'4 270 lbs. Solid reciever but is a great blocker. He'll slowly allow us to get rid of Tuman. Another Weapon for Ben, but also a strong blocker. Add with Tony Hunt, we're getting more powerful blockers to protect Ben.

6) DeShawn Wynn, RB, Florida (Nate Ilaoa, FB/RB, Hawaii OR Ronnie McGill, RB, North Carolina)
http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper305/stills/39961a8i.jpghttp://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/dailypix/2006/May/27/FPI605270333AR_b.jpghttp://media.scout.com/Media/College_Football/30920_mcgill111503.JPG
DeShawn Wynn ran behind a passing oline. He's a solid North south runner that can learn behind Najeh and Willie and give us another guy.

(Nate Ilaoa is a combination of Fu and Maurice Jones Drew.. Could be a day 2 steal for us. Seriously, just look at the kids legs....

A solid powerback. We hit a homerun with our last RB from NC. McGill may only be a be a short yardage back for his career, but he'll be a good one. )

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/md/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/a-podlesh-a1-c03.jpg
Guy has never had a punt blocked. Runs a sub 4.5 40' and he can really sky high a punt. Good tackler in the open field as well, I watched quite a few Maryland games and he's had to make plays in the return game and normally does.

JayA55
01-26-2007, 12:52 AM
Average rule of thumb is it takes 2-4 years to get a WR to full Potential. Hines will be 35 at that time. Will he still be able to put his body on the line? Suicide catches in front of Ray Lewis? I mean, Jerome could barely walk during the season. So Paul Williams or whomever, comes in to play slot for 3 years. Then he takes over #1. I love me some Santonio Holmes, but he's likely a career #2, which is fine with me, because he fills the role perfectly.

I like Rice, I do, The more I think of him the more I worry. He's very raw, although he can make big plays, he really didn't. He had trouble distinguishing himself at South Carolina. I chalk some of it up to Syvelle Newton, but He's 10x the Quarterback that Reggie Ball is. So. Even though Paul Williams had a bad Senior Season. I really like Him to be our Fiery #3 that gives Ben a guy that he can occasionally make a bad throw to without retrobution.

Paul Williams:

I'm all for Paul Williams or another solid WR, just not one in the first round though.

01-26-2007, 09:54 AM
Any chance Cower comes back to coach again next year? maybe to a team willing to pay him what he wants?

Whats the odds he goes to Cleveland now that you have a new coach?

Smooth Criminal
01-26-2007, 09:56 AM
He will not come back this year. His wife made him quit not the money.

01-26-2007, 09:57 AM
The dude from the NFL netword said he could come back next year and would have stayed this year if Rooney (sp?) was willing to pay him. Also stated he is taking a year off and its not for good that he stays out of coaching.

mikehop05
01-26-2007, 10:07 AM
The dude from the NFL netword said he could come back next year and would have stayed this year if Rooney (sp?) was willing to pay him. Also stated he is taking a year off and its not for good that he stays out of coaching.

well the dude on the nfl network is certanily entitled to his opinion, though he is wrong, the rooney's were offering about 6 mil for a year, i really do not think it was about money since cowher had been contemplating retiring for a couple of years...

he may come back in a year or two, who knows? but it is certainly not a bad thing to take a couple of years off and come back fresh... its not like joe gibbs where he will be out for a long time and then try to come back

skarocksoi
01-26-2007, 01:15 PM

I find that to be a rather pointless comment people always make. Of course he would have stayed if we payed him more. Everyone has a price. If we gave the man 10 mil a year, he would probably stay until he was 90, but theres no way we are going to pay him that much and he wanted to take a break. It was just time. I bet after two years he wont be able to stay away from the game any longer and will come back, but to who I do not know.

neko4
01-26-2007, 01:30 PM
I find that to be a rather pointless comment people always make. Of course he would have stayed if we payed him more. Everyone has a price. If we gave the man 10 mil a year, he would probably stay until he was 90, but theres no way we are going to pay him that much and he wanted to take a break. It was just time. I bet after two years he wont be able to stay away from the game any longer and will come back, but to who I do not know.

true but i do hope it isn't for the browns. seeing him on the other side of the field twice a year would make me cry. and plus they might actually get good then, and we can't have that, AFC North is already challenging enough.

Mr. Stiller
01-26-2007, 01:59 PM
I could see him coming back to coach the Chargers. Marty Schottenheimer can't win the big one, and they already run a Pittsburgh style offense/defense.

mikehop05
01-26-2007, 02:03 PM
I could see him coming back to coach the Chargers. Marty Schottenheimer can't win the big one, and they already run a Pittsburgh style offense/defense.

true but itd be so far away from his new raleigh home

neko4
01-26-2007, 02:08 PM

so if john fox and his panthers have another season or two like this last one can anyone see him going for that job?? they are pretty defensive minded.

mikehop05
01-26-2007, 02:13 PM

so if john fox and his panthers have another season or two like this last one can anyone see him going for that job?? they are pretty defensive minded.

yeah i could see him headin up the panthers, i wish he'd go this year though so we can get another first rounder! haha

neko4
01-26-2007, 02:20 PM
yeah i could see him headin up the panthers, i wish he'd go this year though so we can get another first rounder! haha

haha if he has to leave all of us he should atleast hook the organization up with a few extra first rounders.

does anyone know what we would actually get if he did start to coach somewhere else?? and yes i realize this is a stupid question because he isn't going to coach somewhere else this year. but i'm just curious.

mikehop05
01-26-2007, 02:22 PM

haha if he has to leave all of us he should atleast hook the organization up with a few extra first rounders.

does anyone know what we would actually get if he did start to coach somewhere else?? and yes i realize this is a stupid question because he isn't going to coach somewhere else this year. but i'm just curious.

a first rounder, tampa bay spent a first rounder to get gruden... i believe

neko4
01-26-2007, 02:27 PM

i thought tampa sent like a first and two seconds to oakland for him. i'm prolly wrong though but thats what i thought. one first rounder would still be BA.

mikehop05
01-26-2007, 02:55 PM
yeah i thought it was at least a first.. you may be right though

Man_Of_Steel
01-26-2007, 03:26 PM
I gotta say that im not all that impressed with Bowe. On the NFL N i was watching senior bowl practice and he was dropping alot of balls.

I would also like to officially jump on the Paul Williams bandwagon while theres room.

Mr. Stiller
01-26-2007, 03:38 PM

i thought tampa sent like a first and two seconds to oakland for him. i'm prolly wrong though but thats what i thought. one first rounder would still be BA.

Tampa Sent:

2002 1st round pick and 2nd round pick
&
2003 1st round pick and 2nd round pick

to the raiders for rights to John Gruden.

Imagine what Cowher is worth... 4 1sts, 6 2nds and a couple of 3rds.

JayA55
01-26-2007, 03:52 PM
Any chance Cower comes back to coach again next year? maybe to a team willing to pay him what he wants?

Whats the odds he goes to Cleveland now that you have a new coach?

He'll be back once his youngest daughter graduates HS which is in 2 years.

neko4
01-26-2007, 03:58 PM
Tampa Sent:

2002 1st round pick and 2nd round pick
&
2003 1st round pick and 2nd round pick

to the raiders for rights to John Gruden.

Imagine what Cowher is worth... 4 1sts, 6 2nds and a couple of 3rds.

i thought they sent something ridiculous. and no i can not imagine what Cowher would get us. it would be something sick like that.

mikehop05
01-26-2007, 05:09 PM
yeah lol i almost want him to leave this year

neko4
01-26-2007, 05:13 PM
we could almost have a whole team on just the picks that cowher would get us. haha

is cowhers daughter going to be a senior this august coming up?? so wouldn't that make him available for not this coming season but next??

mikehop05
01-26-2007, 05:27 PM
i thought she was a soph. now

Mr. Stiller
01-26-2007, 08:23 PM

She is, Technically speaking though, whenever (If ever) Cowher returns to Football, supposedly his last contract was written up that he can't coach for anyone else until he fulfills his contract to us, so, If that be the case (Which the Rooneys have told reporters a while ago that technically he is still under contract terms with them) Unless he fulfills his contract, or his contract is bought out.

Hopefully Jerry Jones Buys out the contract, just seeing how he spent 25M on TO.. think what he'd spend to get Bill Cowher... Or reverse roles on the Chargers behalf. We get a ton of there picks and get a bunch of Pro-Bowlers.

mikehop05
01-26-2007, 08:25 PM

She is, Technically speaking though, whenever (If ever) Cowher returns to Football, supposedly his last contract was written up that he can't coach for anyone else until he fulfills his contract to us, so, If that be the case (Which the Rooneys have told reporters a while ago that technically he is still under contract terms with them) Unless he fulfills his contract, or his contract is bought out.

Hopefully Jerry Jones Buys out the contract, just seeing how he spent 25M on TO.. think what he'd spend to get Bill Cowher... Or reverse roles on the Chargers behalf. We get a ton of there picks and get a bunch of Pro-Bowlers.

yeah since he thinks their team is playoff ready

Mr. Stiller
01-26-2007, 08:36 PM

yeah since he thinks their team is playoff ready

Cowher wouldn't take TO's crap either though.

richdg
01-26-2007, 09:30 PM
Now that would be fun. Watching the chin punch out the punk! I would pay to see that.

HawkeyeFan
01-26-2007, 10:52 PM
Rams fire special teams coach, hired by Pittsburgh. Wow, I'm sorry guys but this is a terrible hiring. He is a terrible ST Coord. Next year prepared to watch the KR get tackled on the 10 - 15 yardline because of the wedge not blocking. And also prepare to watch about 3 - 4 KR/PR's for TDs against you.

JayA55
01-26-2007, 11:04 PM
I read somewhere else that he is actually highly regarded within the coaching ranks.

HawkeyeFan
01-26-2007, 11:05 PM
I read somewhere else that he is actually highly regarded within the coaching ranks.
Ligashesky? No way, he's terrible. He worked UNDER Peter Rodgriguez the Jags Special Teams Coach who is arguebly the best in the business, but was fired and hopefully will be hired by St. Louis.

Mr. Stiller
01-26-2007, 11:47 PM
Ligashesky? No way, he's terrible. He worked UNDER Peter Rodgriguez the Jags Special Teams Coach who is arguebly the best in the business, but was fired and hopefully will be hired by St. Louis.

I reserve Judgement until I see his on the field production.

"One persons garbage is another mans treasure."

SuperMcGee
01-27-2007, 12:47 AM
Rams fire special teams coach, hired by Pittsburgh. Wow, I'm sorry guys but this is a terrible hiring. He is a terrible ST Coord. Next year prepared to watch the KR get tackled on the 10 - 15 yardline because of the wedge not blocking. And also prepare to watch about 3 - 4 KR/PR's for TDs against you.

You never should've let Bobby April go :D

mikehop05
01-27-2007, 11:32 AM
our kickoff return team was terrible last year anyways

HawkeyeFan
01-27-2007, 12:15 PM
our kickoff return team was terrible last year anywaysIts going to be worse this year.

mikehop05
01-27-2007, 12:27 PM
our kickoff return team was terrible last year anywaysIts going to be worse this year.

not sure that is possible though lol

Mr. Stiller
01-27-2007, 01:03 PM

Not necesarily true. Some coaches, like players, sometimes need a change of scenery to really shine. Once again I'll say, I reserve judgement until I see his on the field production.

Hines
01-27-2007, 04:02 PM
im watchin the senior bowl and three players i like.

kolby smith
michael cole (even though he got beat for a td)
david clowny or aundrae allison

mikehop05
01-27-2007, 04:06 PM
im watchin the senior bowl and three players i like.

kolby smith
michael cole (even though he got beat for a td)
david clowny or aundrae allison

damn i wish i had nfl network

Hines
01-27-2007, 04:15 PM
i also liek johnathon wade

neko4
01-27-2007, 05:27 PM
damn i wish i had nfl network
you and me both.

anybody else in the game worth mentioning??

mikehop05
01-27-2007, 05:34 PM
hows tony hunt / brian leonard / patrick willis / joe staley / quienten moses look????

JayA55
01-27-2007, 08:16 PM
hows tony hunt / brian leonard / patrick willis / joe staley / quienten moses look????

Brian Leonard looked very good, caught the ball well, has good speed/feet for a bigger guy. Absoluletly leveled Patrick Willis on a 4and2 dive to gain the first.
Tony Hunt was also good running the ball, showed decent power and good second effort on just about all of his runs, didn't put up huge stats, though no one did really, but he was efficient with his carries and earned offensive MVP I believe.

I think either of those guys would be an excellent #2 back.

I didn't keep a good eye on the defense yet, I'll have to take another look at those guys later. But, one guy that easily stood out on D, Amobi Okoye, amazing speed for a big DT.

Fickdog
01-27-2007, 08:22 PM

Good/Good/Very Good/Very Bad/Very Bad and disinterested respectively

mikehop05
01-27-2007, 11:13 PM
damn thats too bad i liked stlaey and moses too

DeathbyStat
01-28-2007, 01:10 AM
First 3 quarters of the senior bowl.....fourth should be up tomorrow.

http://www.putfile.com/bonstonker/media

neko4
01-28-2007, 01:13 AM
alright stilleri think we all expect a new mock in the next couple of days if anything has changed because of the senior bowl. :lol:

skarocksoi
01-28-2007, 09:45 AM
I feel like such a horrible person. I have NFL Network at school, but I didn't watch the entire game and went to see a movie after the first half. Please forgive me football gods.

Hunt and Leonard looked good, although I think Tony has played harder in games in the past than yesterday, but this is more for fun anyways. Leonard looked good, he converted a 4th and short and caught a pass and made a few guys miss to pick up the extra yardage.

The best plays from each were;
1. Hunt looked dead to rights about 2-3 yards behind the line and a sweep to the sideline, yet he makes the defenders miss, turns the corner and busts a run for some good yardage. Showed he is shifter than people give him credit for.

2. Leonard caught a quick pass from Troy Smith, turned and showed he is very shifty and has some great acceleration as he burst upfield to tear off a good chunk of yardage. He had a 4th and short run, but it didn't really impress me in terms of power running because the line got such a great push. He did fall forward after contact and was able to hit the hole fast and pretty hard. I still can't judge whether or not he can get those really tough yards.

Willis had a good game but got completely bowled over on one play by either Hunt or Leonard, I can't remember. Other than that he played well. I think he needs to add some weight at the next level.

Poz was around the action for the most part, but didn't make any huge plays. He actually looked pretty good in coverage and stuck his hands in the face of a reciever to keep him from catching it, then turned and trucked the guy. After that, I think they took most of the starting defense out.

Levi had a good week and a good game. Didn't notice anything spectacular, just solid play.

Okoye is a star and made a ton of money in that game. He just dominated along with the whole North line and I saw him sack Leak once.

Those are the guys I remember and you guys might want to hear about.

P.S. Smokin Aces is one of the coolest movies I have seen in a while. It's like a Tarintino'ed version of Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrells. You laugh as people are getting shot up in a rediculous fashion. Plus theres a cool scene with a chainsaw.

mikehop05
01-28-2007, 11:05 AM
i was so pissed our school had a free sneak peek showing of smokin aces but i dint get there early enough and i missed out by about 15 people

diabsoule
01-28-2007, 01:17 PM
i was so pissed our school had a free sneak peek showing of smokin aces but i dint get there early enough and i missed out by about 15 people

I saw it last night and it was baaaaaadaaaaaassss. I really recommend it.

mikehop05
01-28-2007, 01:24 PM

I saw it last night and it was baaaaaadaaaaaassss. I really recommend it.

yeah i want to, but ill prolly end up waiting for it to come out on video

DeathbyStat
01-28-2007, 02:39 PM
Senior Bowl
Joe Staley looked awfull he lost alot of money.

The entire North D-line was great Carriker, Okoye Spencer, I would have no problems with the steelers drafting anyone of these guys

Jay Moore OLB from the Nebraska looked good as an OLB a good 3-4 prospect he had three sacks.

At receiver Aundrae Allison East Carolina and Jason Hill had good days.

Tony Hunt and Brian Leonard both had solid days.

neko4
01-28-2007, 03:57 PM
P.S. Smokin Aces is one of the coolest movies I have seen in a while. It's like a Tarintino'ed version of Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrells. You laugh as people are getting shot up in a rediculous fashion. Plus theres a cool scene with a chainsaw.

totally agree with you on that. by far one of the coolest movies. everyone go see it. now on a football note. since both Hunt and Leonard looked so dang good, shall everyone debate again on which one we should choose??

NFLBOY
01-28-2007, 04:00 PM
Any movie with Ben Afleck is gonna blow. No way I can drag myself to waste money on something that has that idiot in there.

neko4
01-28-2007, 04:07 PM
Any movie with Ben Afleck is gonna blow. No way I can drag myself to waste money on something that has that idiot in there.

very small part in the movie, you need to go see it. i am telling you it is awesome.

mikehop05
01-28-2007, 04:15 PM

totally agree with you on that. by far one of the coolest movies. everyone go see it. now on a football note. since both Hunt and Leonard looked so dang good, shall everyone debate again on which one we should choose??

no need to debate, we all know hunt is the better value for the pick :wink:

neko4
01-28-2007, 04:20 PM
no need to debate, we all know hunt is the better value for the pick Wink
he did really suprise me with how much he weighed in the weigh in. and leonard didn't weigh as much as everyone was saying. i give hunt the thumbs up for now, we still have the combine. are both of them invited??

JayA55
01-28-2007, 04:32 PM
no need to debate, we all know hunt is the better value for the pick Wink
he did really suprise me with how much he weighed in the weigh in. and leonard didn't weigh as much as everyone was saying. i give hunt the thumbs up for now, we still have the combine. are both of them invited??

Leonard dropped weight on purpose he wants to be considered a HB over a FB. Yes, they're both invited to the combine.

Hines
01-28-2007, 04:38 PM
i want now in the first round either adam carricker, jarvis moss, or patrick willis
maybe lenord or hunt in the second or beekman or grubbs
aundrae allison in the third
and whoever else
maybe jonathon wade or michael coe in the fourth

neko4
01-28-2007, 04:53 PM
i want now in the first round either adam carricker, jarvis moss, or patrick willis
and whoever else

i would choose either moss or willis in the first(carricker is just a young aaron smith and dline was the most solid part of our whole year.

hunt in the second(because i liked that he buffed up and didn't like that leonard lost weight even if it was to be a HB

williams over allison in the third(still on the bandwagon on that guy)

and unless Tomlin is better at picks than cowher is at picks on 2nd day it doesn't matter past this because we hardly ever keep anyone past the 3rd round.

Hines
01-28-2007, 04:58 PM
and whoever else

i would choose either moss or willis in the first(carricker is just a young aaron smith and dline was the most solid part of our whole year.

hunt in the second(because i liked that he buffed up and didn't like that leonard lost weight even if it was to be a HB

williams over allison in the third(still on the bandwagon on that guy)

and unless Tomlin is better at picks than cowher is at picks on 2nd day it doesn't matter past this because we hardly ever keep anyone past the 3rd round.

id liek to disagree
id like allison over williams because from wat ive seen allison has better hands and is more thick
williams looks skinny and yes he is tall and fast but he does not live up to the hype and potential he has
maybe instead of those two we can get jacoby lane
i liked him

neko4
01-28-2007, 05:11 PM
i'll have to look up something on jacoby, don't know anything about him.

Hines
01-28-2007, 05:14 PM
my bad its jacoby jones
and he is 6-4 and fast
so red zone threat

Fickdog
01-28-2007, 05:18 PM
His name is Jacoby Jones, and he played at Lane College. He received a lot of hype at the Shrine game week. He dropped as many as he caught in the game, and will most likely be over-drafted in the 'search for the next Colston'.

mikehop05
01-28-2007, 05:33 PM
i think hunt is just the bruiser we are looking for

im going to do a mock, but itll be different then a lot of mocks of pitt...

you'll see :P

skarocksoi
01-28-2007, 07:16 PM

Actually if you dont like Affleck then you will like the movie. Believe me, you will like it. My friends and I were joking about it afterwards.

I've always liked Hunt and he is the best all around back in his draft in my opinion. I think Leonard can offer more offensive firepower, as he can run and catch well, but he's your Jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none kind of guy. I think he's like a lesser version of Reggie Bush in the fact that he would be used as more of a distraction. I think a powerback would benifit our style more, which makes Hunt the guy for me. I think he would really fit in with what Tomlin seems to want out of the offense.

And Mayock and Vermeil were talking about Leonard and how he will need to put on some weight to really be effective in the NFL. Hunt is pretty much ready now to go in and get the tough yards, and by the end of the season he could probably be a good 3rd down back.

BuffaloBills1976
01-28-2007, 07:29 PM
Do you think that Hunt's stock has gone up enough that we won't be able to snatch him even in the 2nd? I hope this isn't true, but I am a bit concerned.

Hines
01-28-2007, 07:56 PM
i think he will be available in the second
maybe we dont need him
maybe well keep najeh or sign tj duckett

Smooth Criminal
01-28-2007, 08:16 PM
We don't need him. Sure it'd be nice but we have much bigger needs in the defensive front 7 and the OL. Taking Hunt in the 2nd round would be a horrible move. Willie is the guy and Hunt would probably only get 3-5 carries a game. Not worth a 2nd rounder when we have other holes to deal with.

skarocksoi
01-28-2007, 08:46 PM
We don't need him. Sure it'd be nice but we have much bigger needs in the defensive front 7 and the OL. Taking Hunt in the 2nd round would be a horrible move. Willie is the guy and Hunt would probably only get 3-5 carries a game. Not worth a 2nd rounder when we have other holes to deal with.

Yeah but in those game where willie can't get it done, Hunt can come in and get those tough yards. With the two of them in the backfield splitting carries would be a pretty formidable duo. Plus I think that he would take over the role the bus had and get more like 10-15 carries a game. You might be right about taking him in the second, but picking up a good powerback at some point would be a good move.

Smooth Criminal
01-28-2007, 09:07 PM
I just don't think we need Hunt. Willie had two very good years in a row. You say we need a guy to get tough yards in games Willie can't run in. The way I look at it, our O-line play in some of those games was so bad no one could have ran the ball.

Plus drafting a RB in the 2nd round would be a horrible move. Willie will continue to get better. Najeh did a pretty good job as the #2 guy, 3rd down back and KR. I don't see any reason why we would have to spend a 2nd rounder on a runningback when Parker and Davenport is a pretty good duo.

We have an aging front 7 and OL. We need to look at those areas before we start trying to find a backup to a 25 year old RB with a 4 year deal.

JayA55
01-28-2007, 09:30 PM
True our offensive line didn't help Willie out too often, but he still suffers from poor vision and isn't going to simply stick his nose in there too often and get the tough 3 yard gains against the bigger/stout defenses. Let's say that he can get the job done without help, you still don't want him carrying the ball 30+ times throughout the season like he has in a few games this year. You really put your back at a high risk for injury and will really wear him out come playoff time (ex. Curtis Martin & Larry Johnson).
So, regardless if Willie is the guy or not we must have a good 2nd option at RB, because I do believe that our pound the rock mentality will not change, obviously Haynes isn't the guy and Davenport isn't going to cut it either.

You can't downplay the importance of those 10-15 carries a game from a tough, physical back that can earn the hard yards and keep the chains moving. Even wearing down the D for Willie.

2 back systems have been very successful this year in general; Jax, New England, Colts, Bears, Saints, Cowboys, etc.

mikehop05
01-28-2007, 10:17 PM
I just don't think we need Hunt. Willie had two very good years in a row. You say we need a guy to get tough yards in games Willie can't run in. The way I look at it, our O-line play in some of those games was so bad no one could have ran the ball.

Plus drafting a RB in the 2nd round would be a horrible move. Willie will continue to get better. Najeh did a pretty good job as the #2 guy, 3rd down back and KR. I don't see any reason why we would have to spend a 2nd rounder on a runningback when Parker and Davenport is a pretty good duo.

We have an aging front 7 and OL. We need to look at those areas before we start trying to find a backup to a 25 year old RB with a 4 year deal.

alright, few things...

i agree with what you are saying, but something against that is the fact that a dual RB system really works well in the NFL, and the fact of the matter is Willie just doesnt get those tough yards... he is also 27 not 25... which isnt old but still..

also, our o-line is relatively young...
Smith - 28
Faneca - 30
Hartings - 34 (old)
Simmons - 27
Starks - 24

and their backups (in corresponding position)
Essex - 24
No real backup for Faneca, but ill list Okobi- 28
Phillip - 24
Kemoeatu - 23
Colon - 23

We have some potential starters there in Okobi, Kemo, and Colon...

Essex possibly and i havnt seen much of Phillip..

But, you are right, we could use possibly another guard/center prospect this year...

our defense is getting up there though, we do need to make that a #1 priority in my opinion...

but overall picking up hunt wouldnt hurt us i think... it would be more beneficial then picking up a linemen in the 2nd, just to have him sit there and wait a year or two, meanwhile hunt would be playing and helping contribute right away, and seeming as we are still a damn good team we could use players than can contribute right away

DeathbyStat
01-29-2007, 09:11 AM
Is Jarvis Moss worth a first round pick?

It is really too early to tell, his combine work out will be really telling.

neko4
01-29-2007, 09:49 AM
Is Jarvis Moss worth a first round pick?

It is really too early to tell, his combine work out will be really telling.

i don't know it was too hard to focus on one guy in the national championship game because everyone played so good on the defense side of the ball. but yes combine is the ultimate showing.

DeathbyStat
01-29-2007, 09:51 AM
Let roll with a mock.

1.Jarvis Moss

2.Tony Hunt

3.David Harris

4.Jacoby Jones

mikehop05
01-29-2007, 10:09 AM
i was gonna do my mock last night until i realized i had am 8am class today...

after a nap ill hit mine up

DeathbyStat
01-29-2007, 12:29 PM
Man I want this guy...........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JMq0FLpb9I

bad ass

neko4
01-29-2007, 12:42 PM

bad ass

who is it?? i am locked down at work. haha can't youtube anything.

neko4
01-29-2007, 12:55 PM
and does anyone know when the actual schedules come out?? i can't remember. me and my friends are going to plan to head up to pittsburgh for a game this next season. i am as excited as a 12 yr old school girl getting her first "real" kiss.

JayA55
01-29-2007, 01:27 PM

bad ass

looks like Chris Fu'

mikehop05
01-29-2007, 02:12 PM
and does anyone know when the actual schedules come out?? i can't remember. me and my friends are going to plan to head up to pittsburgh for a game this next season. i am as excited as a 12 yr old school girl getting her first "real" kiss.

yea its on steelers.com im pretty sure...

JayA55
01-29-2007, 02:19 PM
I don't think any dates are set till the offseason though.

neko4
01-29-2007, 02:22 PM
ok since i haven't the slightest as to who chris fu' is. someone fill me in. yea steelers.com doesn't have the dates it just has the teams we will be playing, which isn't too hard of a schedule, might i add. where is that mock mike??

glennjamen3
01-29-2007, 02:33 PM
chris fu is chris fuamatama'afala, he was a backup running back for the steelers a couple years ago along with famous amos. last i heard he was in jacksonville. BIIGGGGGG running back though, he was huge. think bettis but not as talented

mikehop05
01-29-2007, 04:35 PM
Another possibility we might want to consider is would be to trade the Bucs our first, (1050 points) for both of their seconds (540) and (270)-(depends on when colts finish), along with their third (250)

That gives us the 36th(bucs), 47th(ours), 63rd(bucs from colts), 68th (bucs) and our 79th. In such a deep class, this may not be such a bad idea.

That is 3 seconds and two thirds, not to mention the 2 fourths and fifth we will most likely get from compensatory picks.

Again, this is just something different, so bare with me.

Here we go:

2nd round - 4th pick - 36th overall - Paul Posluszny LB, PSU
http://www.maxwellfootballclub.org/content/awards/bednarik/2005/Posluszny_1.jpg

Pos. is obvious first round talent, but he will get passed up in favor of more "flashy" players, such as Willis, Timmons, and possibly even Jon Beason and Earl Everett. Paul will play ILB for us, and if we ever move to the 4-3, we can really play any of the positions, but most likely MLB or WLB. Really will be a great pickup for us, and I really think he can fall to the early 2nd round in favor of the "more athletic" linebackers,

2nd round - 15th pick - 47th overall - Quentin Moses OLB Georgia
http://publish.netitor.com/photos/schools/geo/galleries/football/2003-2004/freshman_allamerican/Moses_%20Quentin.jpg

Moses was an amazing player as a Junior, but his rise to stardom killed his stats his senior year, as teams would double team, and dhip block him, often leaving his teamate, Johnson, single teamed (hence his rise in stats). At this point it looks like Moss is going to jump up in the first, and honestly I don't think he is quite the player Moses is. People question his strength, bulk, etc. but he is really the same size as Haggans, and the same weight as Porter, but a little more than an inch taller. He has the frame the put on 15, 20lbs, while backing up Porter this last year. I was torn between him and Victor Abiamiri, but his athletic ability really sold me, and though he didn't put up great stats, like i said earlier, he was a lot of the reason Charles Johnson was so dominant.

2nd round - 31st - 63rd overall - Tony Hunt - RB PSU
http://www.nabilmark.com/ezpublish/var/nabilmark/storage/images/penn_state_football_2004/tony_hunt_touchdown/1530-1-eng-US/tony_hunt_touchdown.jpg

Some people disagree with picking a back this early, however, I really feel a 2 back system will benefit us greatly, especially near the goal line where Willie and Najeh both struggeled at times. Tony can get us tough yards, get 7 - 10 carries a game, while Willie still gets his 20 touches. Hunt had a great Senior Bowl, so some don't think he will be here at the end of the second, but I feel he will slip a little come combine time where he will run around a high 4.5, low 4.6.

3rd round - 4th pick - 68th overall - Ikaiaka Alama Francis - DE/OLB Hawii
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/dailypix/2006/Aug/08/FPI608080336AR_b.jpg

Right now this is a good spot for Francis, he may or may not shoot up during combine time, but early 3rd is a good fit for him, and us. Reminds me of a mix bewteen Merriman, and Porter (who we got in the 3rd), a big guy who can either play DE or OLB, depending on what we want him to do with his weight (he added about 30lbs for his senior season). A good backup for Smith, or a potential replacement for Haggans / Harrison. Also, can play DE in the 4 - 3.

3rd round - 15th pick - 79th overall - Tanard Jackson CB Syracuse
http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper522/stills/tx0im7q8.jpg

A great cover guy, though he had some character concerns earlier in his career, he seems to be over it, and a reunion with fellow Orangeman Anthony Smith will provide him some comfort in the 'burgh. He really reads the QB well, better than both of our corners potentially, I think he could play some Free, alowing Smith to play SS, and Troy to roam in 3rd down situations.

4th round - 15th pick - 111th overall - Nathan Bennett OG Clemson
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/clem/sports/m-footbl/auto_headshot/231547.jpeg

Solid guard who started 25 games for the Tigers. Could allow us to move Okobi back to ceneter, allowing him and Kemo to potentially take over one of the guard positions.

4th round - Compensatory pick - Ben Patrick TE Deleware

Atheltic guy, who in my mind can be the big target we need in the redzone. Very athletic, great hands, may not be there as a blocker right away, but a great pick none the less. I think he will run faster than the 4.85 Scott has him posted as, thus having him rise in the draft a round or two.

5th round - 15th pick - 143rd overall - Conrad Bolston DT UMD
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/md/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/463354.jpeg

As a UMD guy, i've seen this person a lot, he is a big mamma jamma, and come draft time I see him moving up into the 5th round with his strength and the way he carries his large frame. Can play NT, or DT if we go to a 4-3. Won't get much PT at first, but will be a great backup for Hampton.

6th round - 15th pick - 175th overall - Adam Podlesh P, UMD
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/md/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/52215.jpeg

Best punter there is right now, will hopefully be there at this point, if we get a 5th round comp. pick we should nab him there.

7th round - 15th pick - 207 overall - Bret Smith - WR/QB Tenn.
http://web.knoxnews.com/slideshows/2005fla/ut2.jpg

Came in as a WR, a very shifty / quick guy who can potentially come in and be a Antwaan Randel El type, providing us with some trick - play ability. Great athlete who was dejected after losing the QB spot to Ainge. But never really amounted to his potential.

Well there it is. No first round picks, but more picks over all. This is also really based on what I think will happen come combine time. We really sure up our defensive front 7, and we get a power back as well as some other quality depth.

JayA55
01-29-2007, 05:31 PM
That's an interesting mock Mike, I like it, only thing is I'm not a big Paul P. fan personally, I would swap him for David Harris instead. Other than that, that's a very solid draft, the depth we would get would be awesome.

Will Moses fall to #47 though?

I think I'll give a stab at a mock pretty soon as well.

mikehop05
01-29-2007, 05:42 PM
i really think moses has a good chance of falling, with a lot of other DE's making big jumps such as moss, victor abrimi, carriker, johnson, and spencer

JayA55
01-29-2007, 06:38 PM
Here's my first quickie, I'm sure it'll change a lot between now and the draft of course.

My Mock Draft:

Round 1:
Amobi Okoye DT
http://media.scout.com/media/image/35/356614.jpg

Can easily bulk up and play NT, but even better he opens up the possibility to run the 4-3 along with the 3-4. He'll also help our pass rush which wasn't up to par last year, more on this guy later.

Round 2:
Tony Hunt RB
http://www.nabilmark.com/ezpublish/var/nabilmark/storage/images/penn_state_football_2004/tony_hunt_touchdown/1530-1-eng-US/tony_hunt_touchdown.jpg

Excellent change of pace runner for Willie Parker. Tony Hunt is a tough runner that's fundamentally sound, give him 10-15 totes a game and we'll have a nice duo at RB again. Davenport nor Haynes are going to cut it.

Round 3:
Manuel Ramirez OG
http://media.scout.com/media/image/34/346650.jpg

Good in pass protection, but even better at run blocking. A strong slobber knocker type of lineman, perfect fit for the Steelers.

Round 4
Jon Abbate ILB
http://media.scout.com/media/image/36/360915.jpg

I simply love his attitude and the passion he brings to the field. His height might hurt him a bit, but he's strong, incredibly physical and has a good football IQ, diagnoses plays pretty fast.

Round 5:
Prescott Burgess OLB
http://www.super8bit.com/bhpics/burgess.jpg

Depending on how he performs at the combine, if we see a decent 40 speed I think he'll add excellent depth at OLB. I already know this guy is physical and good vs the run, all that remains to be seen is if he has the speed to play 3-4 OLB. Overall he might not be a guy that can step in right away, but I think he has a good amount of potential to him and can develop into a stud within a couple of years.

Round 6
David Clowney WR
http://www.hokiesports.com/SIPhotos/fb2004/images/gt/d.Clowney.TD.jpg

This guy is exactly what we need in the slot, pure speed and reliable hands. He should be able to help open things up for Holmes and Ward, keeping the defense very honest.

Round 7
Dustin Fry C
http://media.scout.com/media/image/23/232619.jpg

---

Why Okoye?

Simple, pure flexibility. Okoye would allow us to both run a 3-4 or a 4-3 effectively and interchange between the two. I would love for us to have these two defensive packages in our arsenal, I realize that our pass rush was not up to par this past season mainly due to our OLBs, so if this problem presents itself again we could go 4-3 cover2 and rush 4.

4-3 DL:

Brett Kiesel - Amobi Okoye - Casey Hampton - Aaron Smith

Potentially the best defensive line in the NFL, by far Okoye and Hampton would make for two of the best DTs in the league. Rushing those 4 would certainly add a breath of fresh air to our pass rush, and our run D should be just as good if not better.

LB could look something like this

WLB: Clark Haggans MLB: Joey Porter SLB: James Farrior

Clark Haggans at weakside because of his speed and ability to move sideline to sideline, exactly what you would want out of a Will. He'll face the least amount of attention which should revitalize his stat sheet.

Porter at Mike, because in the cover2 he'll be responsible for covering the deep middle of the field and going 1on1 with WRs, Porter is by far our best LB in coverage.

Farrior at strong side because he's probably our most physical LB and sheds blocks and sifts through traffic very well, he finished this past season with 128 tackles.

Using a 4-3 and 3-4 would keep opposing offenses on their toes, Okoye could also spell Hampton in the 3-4. On top of that Hampton isn't getting any younger, by the time he should be ready to retire Okoye will still be young and would be ready to become the main guy by then, allowing us to not miss a step with our 3-4 or allow us for an easy transition to a 4-3 base defense. Most importantly drafting Okoye would alleviate a lot of pressure off of our LBs to create a consistent rush. The LBs we have are still good and under contract anyway, so why not keep them and put them in a better position to succeed by maximizing what they do best?

GDawg239
01-29-2007, 10:44 PM
Only one problem with trading with bucs and getting all those pics,
we dont have enough money, i think we have like 3.2 mill becuase of some rookie having the greatest rookie season ever, the only way to clear that up is loosing some guys, one or 2 good players and a few not so good, not to mention restruting of contracts,

I like Lynch for the first pick, a two rb system is usually wat works best, i think a safety in the secondary would be good Merriweathor, and the someone to help the line, in the third or maybe a linebacker

Mr. Stiller
01-30-2007, 02:01 AM
Only one problem with trading with bucs and getting all those pics,
we dont have enough money, i think we have like 3.2 mill becuase of some rookie having the greatest rookie season ever, the only way to clear that up is loosing some guys, one or 2 good players and a few not so good, not to mention restruting of contracts,

I like Lynch for the first pick, a two rb system is usually wat works best, i think a safety in the secondary would be good Merriweathor, and the someone to help the line, in the third or maybe a linebacker

WOAH!. I'm all for a day 1 RB, but no way we buy Lynch. He's:

1) Going to want to be "The Guy"
2) A lot of Money tied up in two RB's. We rarely use a 2 back set and if we do, it's usually Najeh and Kreider.
3) Even a WR at #15 makes more sense.

My mock will be up either tonight or tomorrow.

Mr. Stiller
01-30-2007, 03:10 AM
MOCK!

Trade down with New York Jets 1st, 2nd and 4th. ( 2 comp picks, 1 4th (ARE), 1 5th (Hope/Kimo combined. Hope would've brought more except we picked up Clark and we get a comp 3rd for Starks).

1) Lawrence Timmons, OLB, FSU
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/fsu/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/495059.jpeg
At 6'3, 230 lbs. He's at Relative size to Joey Porter. Joey Porter was a dominant OLB in our system for how many years?? (almost 10). Get this kid. He's extremely raw, but scouts think he's either the best OLB or top 3. He only had 1 season as starter. Which drops him to us. He's got incredible athletic ability and can rush the passer. Managed 5 sacks at OLB, but he did so against James Marten, and Stephon Heyer. (Along with Miami(FL), Rice and Virginia. He'll learn behind porter and he'll give us a great pass rusher who's strong enough against the run. He's only slightly slower than Ernie Sims, and he'll be perfect to implement a cover 2 defense, if we so pursue it down the line.

2a) David Harris, MLB, Michigan
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/31/312054.jpg
I was skeptical. I really thought David Harris was a 1 trick pony. After watching the Senior bowl, I'm very impressed. He'll push for PT on ST and behind Farrior. Solid size at 6'2 240 lbs. Plays behind Farrior a season or 2 and he'll take the position by storm. Will also make a solid Cover 2 MLB, if we so pursue that scheme.

2b) Joe Staley, OT, Central Michigan
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/cmu/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/229200.jpeg
Joe Falls. He's incredibly athletic, just had a rough senior bowl. He has the footwork and mechanics in place, just needs some time behind Marvel Smith to learn the position and bulk up. Good mechanics, once he learns the playbook and gets some time with Marvel, he'd solidify the left end for years. Very athletic and would look great next to Faneca or our future LG.

3a) Paul Williams, WR, Fresno State
Some people question his ability. He's young, fast and strong. Nearly impossible to take down. He only falls here because of a rough senior season where the QB position is still a question mark. Solid size, good leaping ability. Very Fiery. Could use his fieriness for our offense. Makes our WR lineup look more dangerous than Cincy's.

3b)LeRon McClain, FB, Alabama
http://www.decaturdaily.com/decaturdaily/sports/060103/cotton.jpg
Gives a youthful backup to Kreider. Is much more polished as a Reciever. Can put in 5-10 Quality runs a game if needed. Will give us a good blocker if we use a 2 RB set as well.

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/17/171269m.jpg

4b) Jonathan Wade, CB, Tennessee
http://web.knoxnews.com/slideshows/gvxky2004/utky8as.jpg
Wade has 4.3 Athleticism, and started to show he's more polished. Tomlin looks to be a great DB coach and if anyone can teach him the rest of the game, it could be Tomlin. Shows intelligence and a no quit attitude. Solid Special Teamer that will work his way from gunner to the lineup.

4c) Jay Alford, DT(DE), Penn State
http://gallery.phillyburbs.com/photos/317/2.aspx
Jay Alford is perfect for us. I think we'll use some Hybrid looks this year. Alford is basically the reason we can. He can play DE for us in the 3-4 (Behind Aaron Smith) or 4-3 UT. 6'3 285lbs and a never quit motor. Perfect Steeler guy.

5a) Brian Smith, DE (OLB), Missouri
http://www.showmenews.com/2005/Oct/10110512bSack.jpg
If not for an unfortunate broken hip, Smith is likely a day 1 or top 50 pick. Showed a nose for the ball early in the season and almost eclipsed the career Big XII Record for sacks. At 6'4 230 lbs, he can add another 15-20 lbs and still maintain his pass rushing speed. gives ability to play 3-4 OLB or Pass rusher in a 4-3.

5b) Ben Patrick, TE, Delaware
6'4 270 lbs. Solid reciever but is a great blocker. He'll slowly allow us to get rid of Tuman. Another Weapon for Ben, but also a strong blocker. Add with LeRon McClain, we're getting more powerful blockers to protect Ben.

6) Nate Ilaoa, RB, Hawaii
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/dailypix/2006/May/27/FPI605270333AR_b.jpg I Liked Ilaoa for a long time now. He's a solid reciever, very good runner. I Loved Fu', but he wasn't good enough to keep on. We wanted Mo' Drew last year. Well Ilaoa is no Mo' Drew, but he's 5'9, 240 lbs, and has a nasty demeanor. Nearly impossible to tackle, and loves contact. Injury problems and lack of use at Hawaii drop him here, but he could give us a solid 3rd RB and power back option as well as McClain. Not fast, but very quick, very agile for his size, but low center of gravity and is very difficult to bring down.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3JMq0FLpb9I

7) Antonio Johnson, DT, Mississippi State
http://www.genespage.com/images/01practices/football/2006/june05/10-calvinwilson.jpg
Gives us a powerful NT that has a non-quit motor. He can play behind Casey Hampton, and work either at 3-4 DE/NT or 4-3 NT. Infusion of youth on our aging Defense. He has issues getting off down blocks, but hey, we have one of the best Defensive line coaches in the game.

New Lineup:

QB: Ben Roethlisberger -> Charlie Batch -> Brian St. Pierre/UDFA
RB: Willie Parker -> Najeh Davenport -> Nate Ilaoa
FB: Dan Kreider -> LeRon McClain
WR: Hines Ward -> Paul Williams -> Nate Washington
WR: Santonio Holmes -> Cedrick Wilson -> Sean Morey/Walter Young
TE: Heath Miller -> Jerame Tuman -> Ben Patrick
LT: Marvel Smith -> Joe Staley
LG: Alan Faneca -> Nathan Bennett
OC: Chukky Okobi -> Marvin Phillip
RG: Kendall Simmons -> Chris Keomeatu
RT: Willie Colon -> Trai Essex

Defense:

3-4 Base:

LDE: Aaron Smith -> Jay Alford -> Shaun Nua
NT: Casey Hampton -> Chris Hoke -> Antonio Johnson
RDE: Brett Keisel -> Travis Kirschke
LOLB: Joey Porter -> Lawrence Timmons -> Arnold Harrison
LILB: Larry Foote -> Goo Wallace -> Clint Kreidwaldt
RILB: James Farrior -> David Harris
ROLB: Clark Haggans -> James Harrison -> Brian Smith
CB: Ike Taylor -> Jonathan Wade -> Anthony Madison
CB: Bryant McFadden -> DeShea Townsend -> Ricardo Colclough -> Chidi Iwuoma

4-3 Base:

LDE: Clark Haggans -> Brian Smith
NT: Casey Hampton -> Chris Hoke -> Antonio Johnson
UT: Aaron Smith -> Jay Alford
RDE: Brett Kiesel -> Travis Kirschke

WLB: James Harrison -> Lawrence Timmons
MLB: Joey Porter -> David Harris
SLB: James Farrior -> Larry Foote

Secondary would be the same.

DeathbyStat
01-30-2007, 10:33 AM
Dude stiller your on the Timmons wagon again what happened to Moss?

I mostly agree with your mocks but you change too rapidly.....I know it is in flux and the combine will only do more to more to change the rankings opinions.

I really think we should trade down but at this point it impossible to figure what trades will be presented to us.

neko4
01-30-2007, 10:59 AM
the jets trade seems like the most likely of all that have come up and i like the mock. what happen to bishop, he seemed to appear in every mock for the past like 2 months and now no bishop, just a little odd not seeing him on a stiller mock. i love the brian smith pick, for some reason i love the guy. i also would like to pick up Alama Francis over McClain, something tells me our LB coach can make him a beast. i also love the guy from Bama Antonio Johnson. he seems like one haus of a man. overall i am loving the mocks from everyone.

Man_Of_Steel
01-30-2007, 12:05 PM
Steelers Mock Draft

The Steelers will trade their first rounder (15th overall) to the Jets for their first rounder (25th overall) and the latter of their two seconds (57th overall). The Jets start to sweat with Marshawn Lynch still on the board and the Packers picking next. Therefore the Steelers trade down.

Pittsburgh gives, 1. (15)- 1,050
New York gives, 1. (25)- 720 & 2. (57)- 330
The deal works out to be 1,050 traded for 1,050 according to the value chart.

First Round 25th Overall
Patrick Willis, ILB, Ole Miss

Great pickup here as we get a guy we may have reached for at 15. We all know the state of our linebacker core and Willis would be a shot of adrenaline and youth.

http://www.mckenziebanner.com/2005/2005photos/feature_Willis_Patrick_Jers.jpg

Second Round 47th Overall
Aaron Ross, CB, Texas

A steal here, Ross has shown first round potential and with no clear cut top corner in the draft Ross will slide.

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper410/stills/25b940b2.jpg

Second Round 57th Overall
Michael Bush, RB, Louisville

Bush is a huge 6’3 250 pound back who has great speed and has been highly productive in his career. Has great football intelligence (Used to be a QB) and is one hell of an athlete. If not for a broken leg in his first game this season he would be a first rounder. Has been criticized for his upright running style. Adrian Peterson runs upright and he’s going top 10. Damn I love this pick.

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/26/268529.jpg

Third Round 79th Overall
H.B Blades, ILB, Pittsburgh

Another linebacker, I know we aren’t that bad at linebacker right? Right. Although with Porter and Haggans probably leaving within 2 years and with Farrior aging it’s a great time to get these guys and mold them before they take over. With no glaring needs in this draft the Steelers add two playmakers for the future.

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/36/361471.jpg

Fourth Round
Anthony Waters, LB, Clemson

This pick may be excessive for linebackers but he is a nightmare for quarterbacks. Reminds me of Joey Porters on field presence, not off-field.

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/25/252772.jpg

Fourth Round B
Fred Bennett, CB, South Carolina

Great size at 6'1 200 pounds and good speed. High ceiling, low floor type of guy. Definatley worth the risk.

http://www.tsxdata.com/NFL/mugs/9251.jpg

Fifth Round
Marshal Yanda, OG, Iowa

Finally pickup a lineman and one with great upside.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/iowa/sports/m-footbl/auto_headshot/204576.jpeg

Fifth Round B
Jay Moore, DE, Nebraska

Will most likley move up into day one before the draft but as of now this is his place.

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/25/252060.jpg

Sixth Round
Steve Breaston, WR, Michigan

A playmaker flat out, only 178 pounds but the kid can play. A threat at Michigan, I can see him making the team as a returner.

http://redsox.collider.com/uploads/imageGallery/Steve_Breaston/steve_breaston.jpg

Seventh Round
Ryne Robinson, WR, Miami(OH)

Very much the same type of player as Breaston both size and style like. May be a battle for a roster spot between these two undersized electrifying players.

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/sioncampus/09/20/ryne.robinson.dj/dj_robinson2.jpg

[/img]

DeathbyStat
01-30-2007, 12:38 PM
Is thier no love for anthony Spencer?

One thing I look like to ask was what did people have for mocks last year?

DeathbyStat
01-30-2007, 01:08 PM
Basically just a composite of other peoples work,but this how I see it.

I hope we can trade down in the first

1.Jarvis Moss

2.Tony Hunt

3.Paul Williams

4.Anthony Waters

5.Traverous Bain

6.Nathan Bennet

7.Nate Ilaoa

GDawg239
01-30-2007, 03:37 PM
bush, as a rb not good, a receiver excellent, rbs that are like 6,3 or even 6,0 are not very good, becuase they are big targets to hit, and not good at getting low, a if we was 5 10 and 250 he and still that fast he would be amazing but a 6 3 rb not good idea,

mikehop05
01-30-2007, 04:27 PM
bush, as a rb not good, a receiver excellent, rbs that are like 6,3 or even 6,0 are not very good, becuase they are big targets to hit, and not good at getting low, a if we was 5 10 and 250 he and still that fast he would be amazing but a 6 3 rb not good idea,

i dont know what you are talking about really, i understand what you mean by concept, but in actuality if you are a good back you are a good back, whether you are 5'9" or 6'4"

for example:

Steven Jackson - 6'2"
Larry Johnson - 6'1"
Ronnie Brown - 6'0"
Brandon Jacobs - 6'4"
Eddie George - (though he no longer plays) 6'4"
Alstott - 6'1"
Deuce Mcallister - 6'1"

all these guys are big time backs, they all are 6 foot or over, so really it doesnt matter that much between a 5'10" guy anda 6'4" guy granted all of the other variables are the same

Man_Of_Steel
01-30-2007, 05:05 PM
Thats right.

Remember in sandlot football, you take the biggest and the fastest.

Hines
01-30-2007, 05:52 PM
how do u guys like the two top vandy guys
goff and bennett
these would be for next year if bennett decides to come out
they both r really good players that would be good for r team
i really like goff though cuz he is big

diabsoule
01-30-2007, 10:52 PM
Steelers | Fichtner named wide receivers coach
Tue, 30 Jan 2007 08:50:51 -0800

Gerry Dulac, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers have named Randy Fichtner wide receivers coach.

Steelers | A. Jones hired as assistant special teams coach
Mon, 29 Jan 2007 21:01:59 -0800

Steelers.com reports the Pittsburgh Steelers have hired Amos Jones as an assistant special teams coach.

Steelers | K. Wilson hired to coach running backs
Mon, 29 Jan 2007 21:00:02 -0800

Steelers.com reports the Pittsburgh Steelers have hired Kirby Wilson to coach the team's running backs.

Steelers | Zierlein hired to coach offensive line
Mon, 29 Jan 2007 20:31:56 -0800

Chris Brown, of BuffaloBills.com, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers have hired Larry Zierlein to coach their offensive line.

skarocksoi
01-30-2007, 10:59 PM
Steelers | Fichtner named wide receivers coach
Tue, 30 Jan 2007 08:50:51 -0800

Gerry Dulac, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers have named Randy Fichtner wide receivers coach.

Steelers | A. Jones hired as assistant special teams coach
Mon, 29 Jan 2007 21:01:59 -0800

Steelers.com reports the Pittsburgh Steelers have hired Amos Jones as an assistant special teams coach.

Steelers | K. Wilson hired to coach running backs
Mon, 29 Jan 2007 21:00:02 -0800

Steelers.com reports the Pittsburgh Steelers have hired Kirby Wilson to coach the team's running backs.

Steelers | Zierlein hired to coach offensive line
Mon, 29 Jan 2007 20:31:56 -0800

Chris Brown, of BuffaloBills.com, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers have hired Larry Zierlein to coach their offensive line.

Anybody know about any of these guys?

mikehop05
01-30-2007, 11:25 PM
www.post-gazette.com has a decent write up on the new assistants

Mr. Stiller
01-31-2007, 11:11 AM
Steelers Mock Draft

The Steelers will trade their first rounder (15th overall) to the Jets for their first rounder (25th overall) and the latter of their two seconds (57th overall). The Jets start to sweat with Marshawn Lynch still on the board and the Packers picking next. Therefore the Steelers trade down.

Pittsburgh gives, 1. (15)- 1,050
New York gives, 1. (25)- 720 & 2. (57)- 330
The deal works out to be 1,050 traded for 1,050 according to the value chart.

First Round 25th Overall
Patrick Willis, ILB, Ole Miss

Great pickup here as we get a guy we may have reached for at 15. We all know the state of our linebacker core and Willis would be a shot of adrenaline and youth.

http://www.mckenziebanner.com/2005/2005photos/feature_Willis_Patrick_Jers.jpg

Second Round 47th Overall
Aaron Ross, CB, Texas

A steal here, Ross has shown first round potential and with no clear cut top corner in the draft Ross will slide.

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper410/stills/25b940b2.jpg

Second Round 57th Overall
Michael Bush, RB, Louisville

Bush is a huge 6’3 250 pound back who has great speed and has been highly productive in his career. Has great football intelligence (Used to be a QB) and is one hell of an athlete. If not for a broken leg in his first game this season he would be a first rounder. Has been criticized for his upright running style. Adrian Peterson runs upright and he’s going top 10. Damn I love this pick.

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/26/268529.jpg

Third Round 79th Overall
H.B Blades, ILB, Pittsburgh

Another linebacker, I know we aren’t that bad at linebacker right? Right. Although with Porter and Haggans probably leaving within 2 years and with Farrior aging it’s a great time to get these guys and mold them before they take over. With no glaring needs in this draft the Steelers add two playmakers for the future.

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/36/361471.jpg

Fourth Round
Anthony Waters, LB, Clemson

This pick may be excessive for linebackers but he is a nightmare for quarterbacks. Reminds me of Joey Porters on field presence, not off-field.

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/25/252772.jpg

Fourth Round B
Fred Bennett, CB, South Carolina

Great size at 6'1 200 pounds and good speed. High ceiling, low floor type of guy. Definatley worth the risk.

http://www.tsxdata.com/NFL/mugs/9251.jpg

Fifth Round
Marshal Yanda, OG, Iowa

Finally pickup a lineman and one with great upside.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/iowa/sports/m-footbl/auto_headshot/204576.jpeg

Fifth Round B
Jay Moore, DE, Nebraska

Will most likley move up into day one before the draft but as of now this is his place.

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/25/252060.jpg

Sixth Round
Steve Breaston, WR, Michigan

A playmaker flat out, only 178 pounds but the kid can play. A threat at Michigan, I can see him making the team as a returner.

http://redsox.collider.com/uploads/imageGallery/Steve_Breaston/steve_breaston.jpg

Seventh Round
Ryne Robinson, WR, Miami(OH)

Very much the same type of player as Breaston both size and style like. May be a battle for a roster spot between these two undersized electrifying players.

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/sioncampus/09/20/ryne.robinson.dj/dj_robinson2.jpg

[/img]

My problems with this mock:

1) Patrick Willis has been told by scouts he'd be a perfect MLB for a tampa 2.

2) Michael Bush is the second coming of Ron Dayne. A RB that runs too upright and soft for his size.

3) HB Blades is way too slow to play in our LB System

4) Anthony Waters is a MLB and more like London Fletcher. Why do we need 3 MLBs, only 1 of which would likely succeed in our system?

5) Fred Bennett is a round 1/2 kind of guy. We don't need 2 CB's. We have youth and talent there, the emergence of Tomlin will help coach that youthful secondary up.

6) I Like Yanda and Moore, I Also like Ryne Robinson. But why take Breaston and Robinson? Robinson would be an amazing day 2 pickup. He would be a day 1 pick with a good QB. But Breaston? I don't even think he's the caliber of Manningham or the last couple of Michigan WR's like Avant. Also why use a 3rd rounder on a KR specialist to draft 2 this year?

I'm going to edit my mock as this has given me some ideas.

skarocksoi
01-31-2007, 11:52 AM
Yeah Breaston has stone hands and is really only good in the return game. Really not worth the pick. We got 2 WR last year, one of whom specializes in the return game. No need for it again.

GDawg239
01-31-2007, 03:17 PM
The one thing i think the steelers might do is draft less player maybe and move up in the second or third round, becuase i hear the steelres dont have that much cap space, to sign drafts, to create space i think somone who is pretty decent might be released or traded to move up in the draft

skarocksoi
01-31-2007, 04:11 PM
Who was the runningback from Louisville in the Senior Bowl? I seem to remember watching him a little and thinking he could be a decent power back. Am I thinking of the right guy, and do others agree? If it's true, he could be a late round possibilty for a decent powerback.

GDawg239
01-31-2007, 04:31 PM
What is up with all these coordinator being fired and hired, like the qb coach, i mean he wasnt doing a bad job with ben for the first 2 seasons, he had one bad one he gets fired and Anderson a okay one who coached Leftwich, who right now is not faring that well, He Tomlin went out and hired a offensive Coordinator it would have been better than promoting a receiver coach

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/rss/s_491024.html

just look at that article

mikehop05
01-31-2007, 04:59 PM
Who was the runningback from Louisville in the Senior Bowl? I seem to remember watching him a little and thinking he could be a decent power back. Am I thinking of the right guy, and do others agree? If it's true, he could be a late round possibilty for a decent powerback.

kolby smith i believe, and yeah, hes a bruiser

mikehop05
01-31-2007, 05:02 PM
What is up with all these coordinator being fired and hired, like the qb coach, i mean he wasnt doing a bad job with ben for the first 2 seasons, he had one bad one he gets fired and Anderson a okay one who coached Leftwich, who right now is not faring that well, He Tomlin went out and hired a offensive Coordinator it would have been better than promoting a receiver coach

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/rss/s_491024.html

just look at that article

when you get a new coach you get new assistants, its that simple, also its hard to follow what you are saying because, well, your grammar sucks...

but bruce arians was an OC before, and he is knowledgable in our offensive system, thats why he was a good fit...

ken anderson isnt a bad QB coach either, we will just have to wait and see

neko4
01-31-2007, 05:18 PM
when you get a new coach you get new assistants, its that simple, also its hard to follow what you are saying because, well, your grammar sucks...

but bruce arians was an OC before, and he is knowledgable in our offensive system, thats why he was a good fit...

ken anderson isnt a bad QB coach either, we will just have to wait and see

i can agree with you on everything, i think anderson will be great, i mean didn't he help manning when he first got into the league, and manning is one of the greatest of all time. only time will tell. is it just me or do we look to have an extremely easy schedule?? only real threats seem to be New England, Baltimore and going on how they played us this season, the Jags.

mikehop05
01-31-2007, 05:55 PM
yeah our schedule does seem pretty easy, however, it seems like there are surpise teams every year who get good all of a sudden

neko4
01-31-2007, 09:12 PM
what is everyone's opinion about the Arizona game, in Arizona?? i'm glad we are playing them, the networks can't afford to pass it up, so i will get to watch it. :lol:

Smooth Criminal
01-31-2007, 09:26 PM
what is everyone's opinion about the Arizona game, in Arizona?? i'm glad we are playing them, the networks can't afford to pass it up, so i will get to watch it. :lol:

I'm planning on getting tickets and flying down to 'Zona for the game. I really want to see the new stadium.

Hines
01-31-2007, 09:32 PM
i live right down the street from the stadium and my school is across the street from there
ive been there only once and that was to watch the high school champ games
but i will be there watchin
and i will be there on the super bowl when the steelers play there

TerribleEd
01-31-2007, 10:38 PM
Offseason Events:
Steelers cut Joey Porter

Steelers tender offer to Max Starks, but he is signed elsewhere in exchange for a third rounder

Draft Day Trade
I see the Steelers trading down, because they covet multiple players valued as second rounders.

Steelers pull the trigger on a trade with the New York Jets, who want Marshawn Lynch. Thank goodness the charges were dropped. The Steelers give up a fourth rounder along with their first in exchange for Ny's first and early second rounders.

Rd 1) Levi Brown, OT, PSU

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2006/04/04-21-06tdc/04-21-06dsports-05b.jpg

Once Max Starks was signed away, the OT position became an even bigger priority. Levi Brown has a real opportunity to fall this far, especially if teams don't view him as a definite LT.

Rd 2a) Paul Posluszny, OLB, PSU

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i69/PSUFan11/PaulPos.jpg

I am not a Penn State fan.

All signs point to Posluszny falling out of round one. Good thing for the Steelers who can select him at the top of Rd 2, thanks to their trade with the NY Jets. Critics can say what they want, this is a football player who will be an asset to an NFL defense. He is also versatile enough to handle OLB in the 3-4 and WLB in the 4-3 (which is coming I tell ya)

Rd 2b) Josh Beekman, C, BC

http://espn-att.starwave.com/photo/2006/0706/ncf_bc_beekman_275.jpg

The offensive line is complete with the addition of their future starting Center. This squad now has more talent and depth than any other on the team.

Rd 3a) Ikaika Alama-Francis, DE, Hawaii

[/img]http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/dailypix/2006/Jun/25/FPI606250368V2_b.jpg

Can play DE in both the 3-4 and 4-3

Rd 3b) Fred Bennett, CB, South Carolina

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/scar/galleries/troy_usc05/Brown2.jpg

He's a faller not so much because of what he's done wrong this post-season, but because of what some of the other prospects have done right in such venues as the senior bowl. In any event, he's a value in Rd 3.

Rd 4 comp) Ben Patrick, TE

This guys stock is on the rise, and the Steelers use their remaining 4th rounder to get him. He is a good fit as the Steelers second TE.

Rd 5) Le'Ron McClain, FB, Alabama

http://media.scout.com/Media/College_Football/1735_102003McClain.JPG

Expect Fast Willie to rush for even more yards than last year with all the beef that the Steelers FO have put in front of him during the 2007 draft.

Rd 5 comp) Nate Ilaoa, RB, Hawaii

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/dailypix/2006/May/27/FPI605270333AR.jpg

Whoever brought the YouTube highlights of this guy, thank you. Those highlights totally sold me. This guy is a great second day addition, which makes sense since the Steelers already have Fast Willie and could do more good for the running game by adding young offensive linemen on day one.

Rd 6) Paul Soliai, DT, Utah

http://deseretnews.com/photos/2389116.jpg[img]

This move leaves little doubt that the Steelers plan to slowly incorporate the 4-3.

Rd 7) Best Punter Available

Mr. Stiller
02-01-2007, 02:02 AM
I and everyone keeps thinking of a trade down, well hell, why not do one for a trade up? We need an elite pass rusher, why not get the best one in the draft?

Lose starks tendered for a 3rd rounder.

Trade our 1st and 3rd to Washington for their #6 overall.

Draft:

1) Jamaal Anderson, DE/OLB, Arkansas
http://www.nwanews.com/images/photosoftheday/20051122whs.jpg
Brett Keisel, Casey Hampton, Aaron Smith, then you have this guy breathing down your neck. Pittsburghs own version of Shawne Merriman. Gives us a beastly pass rusher at OLB in 3-4 looks and at DE in 4-3 looks.

2) David Harris, MLB, Michigan
http://www.mikedesimone.com/m04/iowa/um16.jpg
Gives us a solid MLB that can play high level in both formations

3) Quentin Moses, DE/OLB, Georgia
http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/Player/photo/QMOSESA3.JPG
I know its hard to believe I have him here. Some scouts think he fell this far. Now you can debate this with me all you want, but if indeed he falls here, we can't really consider not taking him. He was the top DE in the draft pre-season to fall to the 3rd round. What does that say to me? Potential. Now, we haven't done good sometimes with Potential. But adding Anderson, Harris and Moses, That gives us a shot in the arm of our LB core of Youth. Also, it gives us two young, pass rushing DE's to build around if we switch to a 4-3 full time. Add in David Harris to play MLB, and Foote can secure one OLB spot. We're basically 1 OLB away from a 4-3. Porter can play outside as well in a 4-3.

4a) Andy Alleman, OG, Akron
http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/Player/photo/ANDY_ALLEMAN3_150.JPG
Athletic, Smart and talented, this kid is raw but I have faith in our new staff to make him a monster pass and rush blocker.

4b) Jonathan Wade, CB, Tennessee
http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/photoGalleries/sec_game/images/05secjb5.jpg
Wade has 4.3 Athleticism, and started to show he's more polished.Tomlin looks to be a great DB coach and if anyone can teach him therest of the game, it could be Tomlin. Shows intelligence and a no quitattitude. Solid Special Teamer that will work his way from gunner tothe lineup.

5a) Stephon Heyer, OT, Maryland
Heyer is another raw prospect and he could potentially fill out the position at LT. With the right coaching he's a tree at 6'6 and 320lbs. Moves well and could potentially play LT for us down the line. He'll atleast give us depth at RT and possibly push Essex to get in shape.

5b) Jay Alford, DT(DE), PSU
Jay Alford is perfect for us. I think we'll use some Hybrid looks this year. Alford is basically the reason we can. He can play DE for us in the 3-4 (Behind Aaron Smith) or 4-3 UT. 6'3 285 lbs and a never quit motor. Perfect Steeler guy.

6) Nate Ilaoa, FB/RB, Hawaii
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/fres/galleries/m_footbl_102905/fres1-lg.jpg
I Liked Ilaoa for a long time now. He's a solid reciever, very good runner. I Loved Fu', but he wasn't good enough to keep on. We wanted Mo' Drew last year. Well Ilaoa is no Mo' Drew, but he's 5'9, 240 lbs,and has a nasty demeanor. Nearly impossible to tackle, and loves contact. Injury problems and lack of use at Hawaii drop him here, but he could give us a solid 3rd RB and power back option as well asMcClain. Not fast, but very quick, very agile for his size, but low center of gravity and is very difficult to bring down.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3JMq0FLpb9I

7) Brent Celek, TE, Cincinnatti
http://media.scout.com/media/image/31/310314.jpg
I really like Ben Patrick, but we can do without him. Celek is a solid Recieving and blocking TE. He's a perfect replacement for Tuman. He has good size, good hands and was a large reason that Rutgers lost to cincy. He was taking the DE 1on1 and stoning him.

neko4
02-01-2007, 11:49 AM
hey does anybody know if you can actually post the videos directly on to the forum?? if so can someone post the Ilaoa video onto the forum. I am trying to show it to one of my guys at work and i can not find it on the internet, and youtube is out of the question.

Mr. Stiller
02-01-2007, 01:26 PM
hey does anybody know if you can actually post the videos directly on to the forum?? if so can someone post the Ilaoa video onto the forum. I am trying to show it to one of my guys at work and i can not find it on the internet, and youtube is out of the question.

Terrible, I'll rip it later today and put it on my server.

neko4
02-01-2007, 01:52 PM
Terrible, I'll rip it later today and put it on my server.

thanks.

skarocksoi
02-01-2007, 01:55 PM
My opinions on the two mocks:
1st Mock - Levi is a good pick at 15, especially if starks is gone. Paul won't slip out of the first round. Both the saints and the bears would be crazy to let a talent like paul slip out of the first round, and no way would he slip to the 15th pick of the second round. I imagine he'll be the one of the first 3 linebackers off the board, if not the first. Other than that, the rest looks good, although I'd like to maybe see a WR in there, but thats not a huge deal.

2nd Mock- Stiller, I like the mock as always, and if we are going to trade up for anyone, I would want it to be Anderson. No doubt in my mind there. I think its imperative in this draft that we pick up a guy who can drop back effectively as a linebacker or drop to a 3 point stance and rush the passer. If we want to run a hybrid look, we need someone like a Terrell Suggs of the Ravens. I think I'd prefer Bishop over Harris, but that will really depend on their combine numbers and what they are able to do. I see Jay Alford in a similar vein as Keisel; a 3-4 DE who can get penetration and rush the passer. The Celek pick in 7 is also good. I watched the Cincy-Rutgers game where he had an 80 some yard TD and looked pretty good as a blocker as well.

DeathbyStat
02-01-2007, 02:42 PM
If we trade up the pick must be Gaines Adams. Like most I feel trading down is the best option. And getting Jarvis Moss later in the first. Can some one make a make with out trades though?

mikehop05
02-01-2007, 04:30 PM
i dont think anderson can be effective asa OLB, not like he can asa 4-3 end anyways, i really dont see him going to us at all to tell u the truth

who can we cut to get rid of some cap room? right now we don't have much, but who are some guys that will free up sapce for us??

neko4
02-01-2007, 05:29 PM
heinz field was voted by the players the worst playing surface in the league. you think the rooney's will look to fix that this offseason??
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07032/758734-100.stm

Hines
02-01-2007, 05:43 PM
does anyone know where i can find the video or the joey porter- william green fight and put it on youtube
please

neko4
02-01-2007, 05:46 PM
last time i saw it was on youtube. try google video if not youtube.

PoopSandwich
02-01-2007, 05:47 PM
No, but I found this for you :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4cdb8i64zQ

http://www.dailymotion.com/marcuspowerade/video/xrrnl_winslow-punks-porter

Just dropped in to say hi, I was at the Browns/Steelers game and had a headache for a few days after, anyways just having fun with some of you Steelers fans :P

mikehop05
02-01-2007, 05:49 PM
heinz field was voted by the players the worst playing surface in the league. you think the rooney's will look to fix that this offseason??
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07032/758734-100.stm

yeah i saw that too, they should do something

Mr. Stiller
02-01-2007, 05:51 PM
I'll be posting up 2 mocks here in a few.

One without a trade, one with a trade.

neko4
02-01-2007, 05:54 PM
hey stiller, i know you said you were going to rip that video and put it in your server does that mean you are going to post it, or do i have to something specific to look at it still?? you will have to excuse my computer skills, or lack there of.

Mr. Stiller
02-01-2007, 05:59 PM
hey stiller, i know you said you were going to rip that video and put it in your server does that mean you are going to post it, or do i have to something specific to look at it still?? you will have to excuse my computer skills, or lack there of.

I'm ripping it now, I have to run it through a converter and I'll put the link up later :-)

Hines
02-01-2007, 06:14 PM
last time i saw it was on youtube. try google video if not youtube.

ive looked everyone and still no find
it bugs me cuz i loved watchin joey take on three of the browns
as jerome helped

Mr. Stiller
02-01-2007, 06:43 PM
Nates Video

Click Here! (http://www.gizmobytes.com/2minutedrill/Video/Nate.avi)

neko4
02-01-2007, 07:02 PM
quick questions, are you a mac user by any chance?? what does the .avi mean?? do i need a certain player because windows media player only played the music and thats it?? that should do it. thanks

Mr. Stiller
02-01-2007, 07:51 PM
quick questions, are you a mac user by any chance?? what does the .avi mean?? do i need a certain player because windows media player only played the music and thats it?? that should do it. thanks

Terrible,

You probably need a codec.

download the K-Lite media Codec pack here.

Click Me (http://www.free-codecs.com/download_soft.php?d=2887&s=95)

I'm not a mac user.

neko4
02-01-2007, 08:11 PM
aight that worked. thanks.