View Full Version : Pittsburgh Steelers Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

mikehop05
02-20-2007, 12:32 AM
i just dont like jamal

i wouldnt give a cent for him

glennjamen3
02-20-2007, 01:26 AM
yeah i wouldn't ever expect that the rooney's would put jamal on their team, but i dont know exactly what the question was asking.

has anybody seen the mock drafts with us getting a cb in the first day?... why? i don't get it. we have 3 starting-quality cb's already, i know deshea is getting older but we don't need to adress that this year. i just don't understand why we would go for a cb in a round where we could get a guy who is going to actually play. to me we seem loaded with taylor, mcfadden, and townsend. i would rather get some linebackers or an o-lineman instead. can anybody explain it to me?

CDub
02-20-2007, 03:40 AM
did you guys hear that the Bears WILL NOT renew Rivera's contract why dont we sign him as an assnt. to Dick L. and that way when he retires and if we are going to go to the "cover 2" then who else would be better than him, plus we would have 2 of the 3 coaches we wanted for HC + Dick L..... i can dream Right ?

I doubt if he goes from potential HC/D coord to assistant. I'm sure some team will offer him a better title than that.

How 'bout that sh!t, he goes from interviewing with 6 different teams for their HC jobs, to being the LB coach for the Chargers. Obviously there's something he's lacking when it comes to taking on the full HC duties, just like Russ Grimm.

steel man
02-20-2007, 07:23 AM
did you guys hear that the Bears WILL NOT renew Rivera's contract why dont we sign him as an assnt. to Dick L. and that way when he retires and if we are going to go to the "cover 2" then who else would be better than him, plus we would have 2 of the 3 coaches we wanted for HC + Dick L..... i can dream Right ?

I doubt if he goes from potential HC/D coord to assistant. I'm sure some team will offer him a better title than that.

maybe from now on, when i say something you guys will not think i am to crazy, Right! lol

why could we not have pull this deal off, like i said if we are going to the "4-3 cover2" who better then Rivera to help. with the 2 top "4-3 cover 2" guys(Tomlin and Rivera) on one team and the master of the "3-4 Blitzburgh"(Dick L.) we could have been right with the "Steel Curtain" as the best D ever

tom
02-20-2007, 07:26 AM
Who do you think the steelers are going to take in the first round? I mean, we have no real needs, so who should we pick?

We could use some depth at WR, CB, O-line, LB, a Power RB to complement Willie Parker, a top Safety to line up across of Troy Polomalu, but none of these guys seem worthy of a top 15 pick.

mikehop05
02-20-2007, 10:28 AM
Who do you think the steelers are going to take in the first round? I mean, we have no real needs, so who should we pick?

We could use some depth at WR, CB, O-line, LB, a Power RB to complement Willie Parker, a top Safety to line up across of Troy Polomalu, but none of these guys seem worthy of a top 15 pick.

everything but safety, anthony smith has got that

theres an article on pittsburgh post - gazette about how they really are looking at everyone minus QB and S

skarocksoi
02-20-2007, 10:43 AM
Looking at our needs as of now and who is available in the draft, the positions I would say we look at in the first are LB, DE/DT, O-line, and WR. I dont see a runningback I would want in the first, especially because we have a starting talent like Willie, and a guy to split a couple of carries with him should be more of a mid round pick. No first round TE or QB is needed on offense, but again, maybe later in the draft. I think we have safety locked down for this next year, and if/when troy gets an extention, we will be set for several years. CB isnt a first round need either, unless someone is really impressive at the combine. We need some depth, but not a first day starter. You don't take a guy in the first round to play nickle or dime back. I think a guy with some potential who has underachieved a bit would be a good late round pick that Tomlin could coach up into a starter.

neko4
02-20-2007, 11:06 AM

everything but safety, anthony smith has got that

theres an article on pittsburgh post - gazette about how they really are looking at everyone minus QB and S

aight now don't get me wrong i am in love with anthony smith, but if landry fell and we picked him up, I wouldn't be upset. that being said we do have more pressing needs than S, i say we either pick up a LB or DE meaning Moss or Carriker, and then if something ridiculous happens and someone huge falls. like Adams, Branch and your obvious one being CJ.

DeathbyStat
02-20-2007, 11:18 AM
There are so many ways the steelers could go in the first and I wouldn't be angry. Unlike last year when I had my heart set on a running back in the first first. Here is a list of guys I wouldn't mind us taking in the first.

First Round Picks i'd be happy With.
Dwayne Jarret
Levi Brown
Adam Carriker
Jarvis Moss
Charles Johnson
Alan Branch
Omobi Okoye
Lawrence Timmons
Patrick Willis

Not going to happen but would be sweet.
Jamal Anderson
Gaines Adams
Calvin Johnson
Adrian Peterson

Pick I don't like but could live with.
Leon Hall
Paul Posluszny
Darrel Revis
Marshawn Lynch

skarocksoi
02-20-2007, 11:24 AM
There are so many ways the steelers could go in the first and I wouldn't be angry. Unlike last year when I had my heart set on a running back in the first first. Here is a list of guys I wouldn't mind us taking in the first.

Dwayne Jarret
Levi Brown
Adam Carriker
Jarvis Moss
Charles Johnson
Alan Branch
Omobi Okoye
Lawrence Timmons
Patrick Willis

Jamal Anderson
Gaines Adams
Calvin Johnson
Adrian Peterson

Leon Hall
Paul Posluszny
Darrel Revis
Marshawn Lynch

I'd agree with that list pretty much except for Peterson, Hall, and Lynch. I think getting a runningback in the first isn't a good idea because we would be paying first round money to a guy to split carries with Willie. Hall just seems like he could a be a huge bust to me, and again, no corners in the first, except maybe Revis if he performs well at the combine. Otherwise I agree whole heartedly.

DeathbyStat
02-20-2007, 12:24 PM
Your right I really don't want a corner or a RB in the first round. But if AD dropped you need to take him Hall might be solid and nothing more, same with Revis.

neko4
02-20-2007, 12:29 PM

Dwayne Jarret
Levi Brown
Adam Carriker
Jarvis Moss
Charles Johnson
Alan Branch
Omobi Okoye
Lawrence Timmons
Patrick Willis

Jamal Anderson
Gaines Adams
Calvin Johnson
Adrian Peterson

Leon Hall
Paul Posluszny
Darrel Revis
Marshawn Lynch

i like the list and agree with it. i agree with Death, that you have to AD if he falls all the way to us, no matter if he is splitting carries. i don't like Hall either, he seems like he could barely keep up with Ward and Ward isn't fast. and while speed isn't everything you do need it to be a corner.

mikehop05
02-20-2007, 12:50 PM
im really starting to jump off the moss bandwagon,

i just am skepticle on someone who was a nobody practically for most of the year, then had a real good game, then all of a sudden is suppose to be great

dont get me wrong im not saying he isnt good or anything, just at this point i dont see him as a #15 pick

after the comebine, that may change...

but i think we can get equal production out of a guy in the 2nd or third round as we can moss in the first

DeathbyStat
02-20-2007, 12:57 PM
I feel that at pick 15 I think its worth taking a risk on Moss, at pick 15 if the pick is a failure it will not cripple the franchise. It isn't as if we are taking a QB with a top 3 pick. All picks are a risk. No matter how big of a bust moss could be he won't set back the franchise for years.

neko4
02-20-2007, 01:00 PM

i just am skepticle on someone who was a nobody practically for most of the year, then had a real good game, then all of a sudden is suppose to be great

dont get me wrong im not saying he isnt good or anything, just at this point i dont see him as a #15 pick

but i think we can get equal production out of a guy in the 2nd or third round as we can moss in the first

i agree with there, this is just such a hard draft to even remotely predict where the steelers go with this pick. it is kinda frustrating, it's like no one comes to mind that you know there is a chance for them to take them.....if that makes sense.

mikehop05
02-20-2007, 01:30 PM

i agree with there, this is just such a hard draft to even remotely predict where the steelers go with this pick. it is kinda frustrating, it's like no one comes to mind that you know there is a chance for them to take them.....if that makes sense.

yeah ur right there is really not a set pick the steelers need, it is pretty frusrating to try and predict what they'll do, though its kinda cool cuz we have so many options

DeathbyStat
02-20-2007, 02:30 PM
http://stillers.com/articles/1937.aspx

Decent article, i disagree with the Willie Parker thing I want to spend a day one pick but not a first round on a running back(namely Tony Hunt.)

I had not idea Nate Washington was that productive. that is crazy.

NFLBOY
02-20-2007, 03:05 PM
I've said it all year about Nate. I'd put him as the number 2, but that is just me and I don't trust Holmes.

Smooth Criminal
02-20-2007, 04:04 PM
Holmes is a way more talented player than Washington. He really came on at the end of the season and probably captured the #2 role for next year.

Thats one of the reasons we don't need a first round reciever. You don't want to pay a guy first round money to be a #4 reciever.

NFLBOY
02-20-2007, 04:25 PM
Holmes may have come on strong at the end, but he has alot to prove. I just don't trust him at all. Don't know if it is because of all his fumbles on the returns or his drops. I hope he does great being a Steelers player, I am just not a big fan of his.

mikehop05
02-20-2007, 04:53 PM
Holmes may have come on strong at the end, but he has alot to prove. I just don't trust him at all. Don't know if it is because of all his fumbles on the returns or his drops. I hope he does great being a Steelers player, I am just not a big fan of his.

he has proven more than washington has

Hines
02-20-2007, 05:47 PM
from wat i read holmes didnt drop ne thing and his hands were excellent and especially in trafic

nate was the one with the dropsies

mikehop05
02-20-2007, 05:56 PM
from wat i read holmes didnt drop ne thing and his hands were excellent and especially in trafic

nate was the one with the dropsies

they both wern't great but i would give the edge to holmes on catching the ball

mikehop05
02-20-2007, 08:14 PM
a lot of mocks i have seen have us taking chaz johnson with the 15th pick

personally i really like this pick depending on his combine speed now that i think about it more

i cant wait til lthe combineeee

GDawg239
02-20-2007, 09:58 PM
when is the combine, and anyone know how to watch it off teh nfl network if you dont have the channel like i mean off the internet

mikehop05
02-20-2007, 10:14 PM
when is the combine, and anyone know how to watch it off teh nfl network if you dont have the channel like i mean off the internet

tomm

u can find the schedule at nfl.com

andi dont know, hopefully someone will host it online

Mr. Stiller
02-21-2007, 06:04 AM

tomm

u can find the schedule at nfl.com

andi dont know, hopefully someone will host it online

If I can get a cheap video card and piss around with my new DVR (WOOT!) I'll try to rip it, provided there's no DRM on the box.

I have it being recorded, so I'll try to capture it and rip it, but I make no promises.

with that Said...

MOCK TIME.. here's an interesting Twist..

I really thought long and hard about making a "Blockbuster deal". I did this with us going immediately in the 4-3.

How would Steelers fans like this?

Draft Day Blockbuster Trade:

Jets:
Joey Porter
James Farrior
#15 overall

Steelers:
Jonathan Vilma
#25 overall
#57 overall

Also: Starks is gone for a 2nd Rounder.

Draft:

#25) Charles Johnson, DE, Georgia

Solid DE with great potential, Gives us a solid Pass Rush from the 4-3 DE spot.

#47) Dwayne Bowe, WR, LSU

Arians and Tomlin will work on his hands, but his physicallity is unmatched. Great prospect to be mentored by Hines Ward, the suicide reciever.

#57) Jon Beason, WLB, Miami(FL)

Speed and great potential. Gives us a WLB that has a ton of range, solid speed and tackling. Put him on the weakside of Vilma, and we'll be set for a LONG time. At that point the oldest player on defense will be DeShea Townsend, Aaron Smith or perhaps Casey Hampton.. Giving us a young and incredibly talented Defense.

2Comp) Tony Hunt, RB, Penn State

Solid North South runner. Could handle the load if need be. Hard to tackle and gives us a very big/talented Short yardage RB.

#79) Manuel Ramirez, OG, Texas Tech

With Kendall Simmons Likely moving to OC, RG is a question Mark. Colon showed great Potential at RT. We did see that the C/RG position have been having tremendous difficulty with guys like: Jamal Williams, Ted Washington, Sam Adams, Kelly Gregg, Marcus Stroud & John Henderson. Seeing them a lot, We could start getting more stout and powerful Gaurds. Ramirez is the biggest, strongest Gaurd in the draft. Keomeatu is a bull in his own right, but we'll add depth, Talent and another guy that could start. Have the loser of the battle train behind Faneca, and when he leaves/retires we'll have the strongest, most powerful Duo of Gaurds. It will allow Simmons to use his best skill, athleticism. He can pull and block letting Ramirez/Keomeatu stonewall the big NT's of the league.

#111) Brandon Frye, OT, Virginia Tech

With Starks leaving in this mock, adding depth here is a great idea. Kemo/Ramirez battle for gaurd, allowing Frye/Colon to battle for the RT spot. Frye is strong and Athletic. Vastly underrated. I think he'll develop into a possible future LT behind Smith. Essex, Colon and Frye will gives us young talented depth. Allowing us to keep injecting youth into an aging team.

4Comp) Prescott Burgess, SLB, Michigan

A very strong, Athletic, big Linebacker. Played on a solid team and got overshadowed by Other members of the front 7. 6'3 250 lbs. He's fast enough for the cover 2. Has long enough arms to be able to keep opposing blockers away from his body. Anyone excited about Vilma and Beason/Burgess?

4Comp) Travarous Bain, CB, Hampton

A corner that didn't get much publicity playing for a small non Division 1-A school. He has prototypical size at 6'0 and 180 lbs. Runs around 4.4 speed. A great young CB that gives us a solid Special Teamer until he's ready to take the field.

#143) Daniel Sepulveda, P, Baylor

We've been hurting severely in the special teams game. Gardocki is too ineffective and too expensive. Adding a Young punter with a great leg and accuracy, Our defense will have more Green to defend. Sorry 30 yard punts don't really appease me.

#175) Jay Alford, DT, Penn State

Here's a player I'll love. Alford has a never quit motor. We've added a premier pass rushing DE, letting Aaron Smith take the UT position (which i'm excited). I think Alford has solid size, decent speed, and will let Aaron Smith take a breather every now again.. Giving us some 3-4 and 4-3 Depth.

#207) Marquis Gunn, DE, Auburn

I really think Gunn is an underrated prospect. He doesn't have elite speed, or production, only notching 4 sacks, but he did rack up 45 Tackles. He's got great size, at 6'4 255lbs. He needs a bit of weight, but he could end up being a draft steal. I have to admit we have a great DL and LB coach, I hope we do get him. I thought about Jacob Ford here. But I think Gunn could actually be a better prospect.

I think this draft gives us a base 4-3 like:

DE: Charles Johnson -> Clark Haggans
NT: Casey Hampton -> Chris Hoke
UT: Aaron Smith -> Jay Alford
DE: Brett Keisel -> Marquis Gunn

WLB: Jon Beason -> James Harrison
MLB: Jon Vilma -> Goo Wallace
SLB: Prescott Burgess -> Larry Foote

CB: Ike Taylor -> Travarous Bain -> Anthony Madison
CB: Bryant McFadden -> DeShea Townsend -> Ricardo Colclough
FS: Anthony Smith -> Ryan Clark
SS: Troy Polamalu -> Tyrone Carter

...DAMN! I'm in love!!!!!

I love it... adding Vilma, Beason and Burgess give us a great LB core to build around. Beason could be Ham, Vilma could be Lambert, Burgess would be a hell of an SLB as well.

I think Vilma is an elite player and is suffering in a 3-4. While Farrior and Porter give the Jets 2 solid players that are built and have experience in the 3-4. Let them start for 3 years and allow Mangini to build behind them. Vilma comes to Pittsburgh giving us a menacing and Punishing MLB for the Tomlin2. Rebuilding the Steel Curtain. Vilma and Beasons speed. Along with Vilma and Burgess' strength. Will give us certainly an elite LB core. That would rival Ravens/Chargers/and easily beat out Chicago... if they start to reach potential.

Aaron Smith might only play in Pittsburgh 1 more season, so he'll train Jay Alford (Could go Chris Hoke if Need be). Hampton and Smith give us a powerful duo of DT's and I think combined could collapse the pocket pretty easily (considering how well they did it with only 3 men on the line). Add Johnson and Keisels pass rushing and we'll be pretty fearsome

With that said. (I'm not going to go through all of it as it's pretty explanatory)

I think with that draft what we should look towards in the 08 draft is this:

Free Agents of the following year:

Pos Player Name FA Status Previous Team Current Team
RB Verron Haynes UFA Pittsburgh Steelers
FB Dan Kreider UFA Pittsburgh Steelers
OG Alan Faneca UFA Pittsburgh Steelers
OG Chris Kemoeatu RFA Pittsburgh Steelers
OT Trai Essex RFA Pittsburgh Steelers
DL Chris Hoke UFA Pittsburgh Steelers
SS Troy Polamalu UFA Pittsburgh Steelers

I'll figure that we sign back the ones in Bold.

(I know it's kind of stupid doing an 08, but i'm bored, having fun and This is an extension of my dream scenario)

Day 1 of 2008 (to fix up what we have now)

1) Andre Fluellen, DT, Florida State

6'4 290 lbs. Very fluent and quick for his stature. We "drafted" Jay Alford last year, but this kid is a pure UT. Fast enough and can penetrate the line to put pressure on the run and pass game. We lose Aaron Smith to FA and add Fluellen to take over the UT spot next to Charles Johnson. The "Mean" Joe Green of the Tomlin2.

2) Gosder Cherilous, OT, Boston College

Right now his stock is around 2nd/3rd round, could very well become a first rounder. He's a very nice kid (I've talked with him). Very big. 6-7 320 lbs. He has all the tools just needs some coaching up to put it on the field.

3) Darrell Strong, Te, Pittsburgh

The other Darrell. This kid is a brute with solid hands. I think he'll make a great #2 TE for those Dual TE sets or if he needs to step in.

4(Only because I think this is obvious) Owen Schmidt, FB, West Virginia

We don't take a fullback in 07, but Schmidt is top tier in 08. With plenty of Blocking and running experience at WVU, he'll pick up the offense early and provide us with both rushing and blocking capabilties. The bigger more powerful version of Brian Leonard.

2)

GDawg239
02-21-2007, 08:13 AM
Yeah J. Vilma is not very good for the 3-4, he was amazing playing in the 4-3 but i wouldnt give up a vocal leader like porter on the D, sure Troy is a leader on the D but not a very vocal guy,

Great Linebaker picks, Burgess i love that pick, i dont think beason will make it to 57, but another lb that i do like is Waters, he could be a possible third late 2 pick depending on his combine

IF tony Hunt is going to turn out to be like Larry Johnson another Penn State big back that would be amazing to compliment Parker, even though PS is not known for RB, but for LB

I think Colcough could be a decent nickle back if he was given more time to play,

P is def and need for the Steelers, if we dont get one in the draft i think Dirk Johnson is out there

neko4
02-21-2007, 09:55 AM
this is to you Stiller.

1. I hope you get that video card because it would be great to be able to watch all the forty's and all the other exercise's.

2. i don't know about that trade. while he underachieved joey porter is still a face of the steelers and james farrior is one of our best defenders, i would probably be wary about the trade at first until i get to see how the 3 NEW linebackers were to perform. you don't think beason and burgess should learn a year behind harrison and foote?? we are not really known for starting rookies hardly ever the first year. atleast not the first half of the rookie year. if we went straight to 4-3 then i could understand the trade and would prolly like it better but, i highly doubt we go 4-3 only. vilma is a beastly man and i agree has disappeared in the 3-4, so it might not be to far off for them to trade. all in all, it is just big of a move for me to swallow right now. can't comprehend porter and farrior gone, vilma being with us and us running a 4-3. :|

Mr. Stiller
02-21-2007, 11:13 AM
Yeah J. Vilma is not very good for the 3-4, he was amazing playing in the 4-3 but i wouldnt give up a vocal leader like porter on the D, sure Troy is a leader on the D but not a very vocal guy,

Great Linebaker picks, Burgess i love that pick, i dont think beason will make it to 57, but another lb that i do like is Waters, he could be a possible third late 2 pick depending on his combine

IF tony Hunt is going to turn out to be like Larry Johnson another Penn State big back that would be amazing to compliment Parker, even though PS is not known for RB, but for LB

I think Colcough could be a decent nickle back if he was given more time to play,

P is def and need for the Steelers, if we dont get one in the draft i think Dirk Johnson is out there

Not directed just to you, but why does everyone keep saying add on guys like Water, Blades and Bishop. We have Goo Wallace who hasn't ever gotten a chance, and Foote. If we go to the 4-3, how many MLB's do we need? I like Waters as well, but he plays MLB, which if this trade were to happen, we'd have 3 MLB's with youth... Foote, Vilma and Wallace, why draft another MLB?

Joey Porters Age and talent is going down, while he's a vocal leader, this was if we were to institute the 4-3 immediately. How good would Porter be in a 4-3? I think it would be more important to get Vilma than keep Porter. I love the intensity Porter brings but I think Bang for the Buck and there's a lot of Bucks with very few Bang.

i don't know about that trade. while he underachieved joey porter is still a face of the steelers and james farrior is one of our best defenders, i would probably be wary about the trade at first until i get to see how the 3 NEW linebackers were to perform. you don't think beason and burgess should learn a year behind harrison and foote?? we are not really known for starting rookies hardly ever the first year. atleast not the first half of the rookie year. if we went straight to 4-3 then i could understand the trade and would prolly like it better but, i highly doubt we go 4-3 only. vilma is a beastly man and i agree has disappeared in the 3-4, so it might not be to far off for them to trade. all in all, it is just big of a move for me to swallow right now. can't comprehend porter and farrior gone, vilma being with us and us running a 4-3. Neutral

Joey Porter Was the face of the Steelers.. Do you think Noll would've put up with his mouth? How about Tomlin? Farrior is one of our best defenders but he wasn't good enough MLB in the 4-3 hence why NYJ let him walk. Now that they're going to a 3-4 and we're going 4-3 (Speculation) it would be a solid Deal. As for Beason and Burgess, I like the idea of them learning, but who knows, some guys are just good enough to pick up and play as a rookie. We aren't known for starting Rookies, but again, We have a completely new Coaching staff. With only 4 Guys remaining. Even if he ran the wrong routes, don't you agree that Holmes should have been starting over Ced Wilson last year? Atleast he caught the ball.

That was a thing that always bugged me. I'm not one for rushing someone on the field when they're not ready, but if they're outplaying a person higher on the depth chart.. Why not. I think Anthony Smith could have been Rookie of the year if he had started and certainly would've outplayed Dawan Landry. Holmes outplayed Ced Wilson and out received him considering Holmes didn't start at #2 until game #11. not too shabby.

It's hard to tell what they'll do and I'm not stating I know best, because as much of it I'm a fan, I'm not a coach nor do I have coaching experience. But from a playing point of view. I want the best 11 guys on the field. If they're not, then quit playing.. Plain and simple. Ike is certainly better than DeShea, why was he benched? DeShea played just as bad if not worse and he was on the field. Joey Porter made minimal impact in certain games.. why not try James Harrison a few times.

And if Porter starts going off at the mouth, do we know how Tomlin will react? Nope, he may tell Porter to shut the hell up and then what? Some things in the locker room might change now that there's no "Cowhers Boys" which, imo, is great news.

DeathbyStat
02-21-2007, 11:27 AM

Not directed just to you, but why does everyone keep saying add on guys like Water, Blades and Bishop. We have Goo Wallace who hasn't ever gotten a chance, and Foote. If we go to the 4-3, how many MLB's do we need? I like Waters as well, but he plays MLB, which if this trade were to happen, we'd have 3 MLB's with youth... Foote, Vilma and Wallace, why draft another MLB?

Joey Porters Age and talent is going down, while he's a vocal leader, this was if we were to institute the 4-3 immediately. How good would Porter be in a 4-3? I think it would be more important to get Vilma than keep Porter. I love the intensity Porter brings but I think Bang for the Buck and there's a lot of Bucks with very few Bang.

i don't know about that trade. while he underachieved joey porter is still a face of the steelers and james farrior is one of our best defenders, i would probably be wary about the trade at first until i get to see how the 3 NEW linebackers were to perform. you don't think beason and burgess should learn a year behind harrison and foote?? we are not really known for starting rookies hardly ever the first year. atleast not the first half of the rookie year. if we went straight to 4-3 then i could understand the trade and would prolly like it better but, i highly doubt we go 4-3 only. vilma is a beastly man and i agree has disappeared in the 3-4, so it might not be to far off for them to trade. all in all, it is just big of a move for me to swallow right now. can't comprehend porter and farrior gone, vilma being with us and us running a 4-3. Neutral

Joey Porter Was the face of the Steelers.. Do you think Noll would've put up with his mouth? How about Tomlin? Farrior is one of our best defenders but he wasn't good enough MLB in the 4-3 hence why NYJ let him walk. Now that they're going to a 3-4 and we're going 4-3 (Speculation) it would be a solid Deal. As for Beason and Burgess, I like the idea of them learning, but who knows, some guys are just good enough to pick up and play as a rookie. We aren't known for starting Rookies, but again, We have a completely new Coaching staff. With only 4 Guys remaining. Even if he ran the wrong routes, don't you agree that Holmes should have been starting over Ced Wilson last year? Atleast he caught the ball.

That was a thing that always bugged me. I'm not one for rushing someone on the field when they're not ready, but if they're outplaying a person higher on the depth chart.. Why not. I think Anthony Smith could have been Rookie of the year if he had started and certainly would've outplayed Dawan Landry. Holmes outplayed Ced Wilson and out received him considering Holmes didn't start at #2 until game #11. not too shabby.

It's hard to tell what they'll do and I'm not stating I know best, because as much of it I'm a fan, I'm not a coach nor do I have coaching experience. But from a playing point of view. I want the best 11 guys on the field. If they're not, then quit playing.. Plain and simple. Ike is certainly better than DeShea, why was he benched? DeShea played just as bad if not worse and he was on the field. Joey Porter made minimal impact in certain games.. why not try James Harrison a few times.

And if Porter starts going off at the mouth, do we know how Tomlin will react? Nope, he may tell Porter to shut the hell up and then what? Some things in the locker room might change now that there's no "Cowhers Boys" which, imo, is great news.

Totally agree if Anthony Smith and Santonio Holmes don't start over Wilson and Clark there is no justice.

This is a mock that I did recently that was talked about on the lastest epsiode of theOne For the Thumb podcast.....good stuff....here is the link.

http://mysportsradio.com/?cat=50

Just wanted to see what you guys thought.

Round 1 Jarvis Moss DE/OLB Florida

Round 2 Ryan Kalil C USC

Round 3 Tony Hunt RB Penn State

Round 4 Paul Williams WR Fresno State
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOyYVnN4bTs

Round 5 Desmond Bishop MLB Cal

Round 6 Travourous Bain CB Hampton

Round 7 Nate Ilaoa RB Hawaii

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JMq0FLpb9I

I really didn't want to take an o lineman on the first day but Ryan Kalil
has really impressed me.

Man_Of_Steel
02-21-2007, 02:35 PM
I might be the only one but i just cant see the Jets making that trade at all.

neko4
02-21-2007, 03:12 PM

no i don't even think stiller thinks it will actually happen just ideas i think.

Yo Death and Stiller, i was laughing when all three of us trashed him for talking about porter.

skarocksoi
02-21-2007, 03:52 PM

Depends on what they want. A 1st and 2nd for our 1st works out perfectly value-wise and the jets have 2 2nd rounders, so they would only lose an extra pick to move up to a decent position. Plus, they need a stud at running back and Lynch should be available at that time, plus the Packers, who also need a full time running back, are after us at 16. In my mind, its probably the most likely trade to go down out of any in the draft. It just seems to work on almost every level. Theres still an incredibly slim chance of it happening, but it seems like the most logical trade to me.

EDIT:
And going back and looking at previous posts I now realize what trade you are talking about and humbly acknowledge that fact that im talking about the completely wrong trade. However, us trading down to them does make a lot of sense.

neko4
02-21-2007, 03:59 PM

Depends on what they want. A 1st and 2nd for our 1st works out perfectly value-wise and the jets have 2 2nd rounders, so they would only lose an extra pick to move up to a decent position. Plus, they need a stud at running back and Lynch should be available at that time, plus the Packers, who also need a full time running back, are after us at 16. In my mind, its probably the most likely trade to go down out of any in the draft. It just seems to work on almost every level. Theres still an incredibly slim chance of it happening, but it seems like the most logical trade to me.

EDIT:
And going back and looking at previous posts I now realize what trade you are talking about and humbly acknowledge that fact that im talking about the completely wrong trade. However, us trading down to them does make a lot of sense.

haha yea as i was reading, i was thinking, "he doesn't know what trade we are talking about" yours that you were talking about does make a whole lot of sense though. :lol:

excanuck
02-21-2007, 05:24 PM
anyone see us taking a QB in the late rounds like last year?

neko4
02-21-2007, 05:30 PM
anyone see us taking a QB in the late rounds like last year?

it could happen but i don't see any reason for it. and if we do pick one up then i would want it to be in the 6th or 7th round. all he would do is replace st. pierre's sorry ass.

DeathbyStat
02-21-2007, 07:41 PM

no i don't even think stiller thinks it will actually happen just ideas i think.

Yo Death and Stiller, i was laughing when all three of us trashed him for talking about porter.

That was pretty dam awesome for, Porter was right Winslow is a ***.

neko4
02-21-2007, 07:56 PM

That was pretty dam awesome for, Porter was right Winslow is a ***********.

yea i was reading another thread once and he was talking smack about the steelers mainly joey porter again and i wanted to say something then, but i was too scared being a newb, i had to say something this time, cuz i mean seriously, if you are a browns fan, do you really have room to talk trash to anybody?? even cardinal fans can talk **** to browns fans.

EDIT: it actually beeps you out, thats odd

mikehop05
02-21-2007, 08:03 PM
i love joey porter, even if his production is slipping, just cuz when he runs his mouth he backs it up

if nothing else he is entertaining

neko4
02-21-2007, 08:10 PM
i love joey porter, even if his production is slipping, just cuz when he runs his mouth he backs it up

i think we just had a little male love confession go down in the steelers thread. :lol:

no i hear you, if he says he is going to hit you, he hits you, and he is entertaining, i love him as well. :oops:

mikehop05
02-21-2007, 09:21 PM

i think we just had a little male love confession go down in the steelers thread. :lol:

no i hear you, if he says he is going to hit you, he hits you, and he is entertaining, i love him as well. :oops:

i meant love in the most no-**** way possible

quick, do something manly

Man_Of_Steel
02-21-2007, 10:05 PM
I vote Yes on Joey Porter
I like Joey Porter

http://media3.steelers.com/MediaContent/2005/01/31/07/04_NE2_Porter01_50435.jpg

skarocksoi
02-21-2007, 10:27 PM
I don't care about him either way to be honest, but if you watch the Steelers DVD from last year he has a great quote in the locker room after the colts game. My friends and I were watching and we laughed so hard my sides hurt.

"They shot me in Denver!! I'm angry!"

mikehop05
02-21-2007, 10:36 PM
I like Joey Porter

i made a tee shirt outa this picture actually

it looks sweet

GDawg239
02-21-2007, 11:31 PM
that was the quote

They shot me in Denver I'm angry

when did he get shot at when he player for colorado

neko4
02-22-2007, 12:59 AM
I don't care about him either way to be honest, but if you watch the Steelers DVD from last year he has a great quote in the locker room after the colts game. My friends and I were watching and we laughed so hard my sides hurt.

"They shot me in Denver!! I'm angry!"

:lol: :lol: haha wow, i hadn't heard that. that is hilarious, now i am more in love with him (rips out chest hair).

steel man
02-22-2007, 02:24 AM
that was the quote

a few years ago he got shot in a drive by at a club if i remember right. he got shot in the a$$. if there is ever a time that you can get shot and think it's funny that would be one.

DeathbyStat
02-22-2007, 08:25 AM
I like Joey Porter

it looks sweet

How did you make it I've been trying to make one through photo bucket.com and the dam thing keeps telling me the resolution of the photo is not high enough. I want to make one with this photo and put.......

Destroy All Mannings on the back.

http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2006/01/31/PH2006013101527.jpg

DeathbyStat
02-22-2007, 11:51 AM
Kevan Barlow was released by the Jets could he be a good fit in Pittsburgh?

skarocksoi
02-22-2007, 12:09 PM

eh, if he can't make it in San Fran or with the Jets, who are severely lacking a good runningback, I doubt he would be good for us. It makes the trade down between us an the first look more and more possible. The Jets definitely need a starting runningback, and I don't know of anybody in free agency who can be the centerpiece for a franchise, so they are definitely going to have to adress it in the draft.

GDawg239
02-22-2007, 12:50 PM

eh, if he can't make it in San Fran or with the Jets, who are severely lacking a good runningback, I doubt he would be good for us. It makes the trade down between us an the first look more and more possible. The Jets definitely need a starting runningback, and I don't know of anybody in free agency who can be the centerpiece for a franchise, so they are definitely going to have to adress it in the draft.

i dont really see the jets getting a 1st round rb becuase Mangini said he like the rotation, and Leon Washington although small has a good season with Houston

so i dont see the trade happening, unless the rb falls to them in the 1st then they proabably will, or they could try for Green, although he has been steadly declining

mikehop05
02-22-2007, 01:36 PM
I like Joey Porter

it looks sweet

How did you make it I've been trying to make one through photo bucket.com and the dam thing keeps telling me the resolution of the photo is not high enough. I want to make one with this photo and put.......

Destroy All Mannings on the back.

http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2006/01/31/PH2006013101527.jpg

i just got the picture and put it into a word document, and then aligned it and printed it on iron on paper, then i ironed it on

its cheap and it looks good

GDawg239
02-22-2007, 04:27 PM
calias Campbell all i have to say about this guy is WOW this guy 6-8 DE at 265 this guy would be a amazing de/olb type of player He is a great pass rusher

He was first in the ACC for tackles for loss, Timmons and Gaines Adams are behind him

He was 10.5 sacks while Adams had 12.5

Campbell is going to be a junior come next season

His 40 is 4.65

Mr. Stiller
02-22-2007, 04:29 PM
calias Campbell all i have to say about this guy is WOW this guy 6-8 DE at 265 this guy would be a amazing de/olb type of player He is a great pass rusher

He was first in the ACC for tackles for loss, Timmons and Gaines Adams are behind him

He was 10.5 sacks while Adams had 12.5

Campbell is going to be a junior come next season

His 40 is 4.65

Tommy Blake from TCU

mikehop05
02-22-2007, 04:36 PM
i really like erin henderson outa UMD, middle linebacker

5x as atheltic as his brother and pops like none other

he came in asa qb but played both in highschool, i know we scrimmaged them and they ran a triple option, and i hada play corner...

6'4" 225 guy vs 5'10" 175 white corner = me purposefly getting blocked by a reciever and stayin there

but seriously he has played amazing for umd as his first year asa starter and right now reminds me of a vilma

GDawg239
02-22-2007, 04:57 PM
Henderson the WR for Saints brother, wow so mlb that runs like a reciever and hits that is impressive

Yo that is beastly for a HS player 6-4 225

mikehop05
02-22-2007, 05:03 PM
Henderson the WR for Saints brother, wow so mlb that runs like a reciever and hits that is impressive

Yo that is beastly for a HS player 6-4 225

his brother is EJ henderson, the linebacker for the vikings

but yeah it doesnt take anything away from his ability tho

CDub
02-23-2007, 06:17 AM
that was the quote

a few years ago he got shot in a drive by at a club if i remember right. he got shot in the a$$. if there is ever a time that you can get shot and think it's funny that would be one.

The bullet struck him in the left butt cheek, went through his pelvis and ended up lodged deep in his right thigh.

I've raised this issue before and still believe it to be true, however unfortunate. Porter was shot when he was 27 (I believe) just as he was reaching his prime. It took him a year and a half to fully recover from that and he has since had two knee problems. It's unfortunate as I said, but I don't believe he will ever return to being a dominate player.

neko4
02-23-2007, 04:04 PM
aight so all you folks with NFL Network. all the folks we have been salivating over for the past couple of months, lets hear some things about them. any suprises out there?? i know they have just measured most everybody and some lifts happened, but still i am curious.

steel man
02-23-2007, 06:00 PM
they just said on FSN Pittsburgh that we prob. will try to trade Porter or let him go and go after Adalius Thomas and LaVar Arrington(if he passes his medical exam). they also said that we will look at a few LBer's in the draft and also at a RB early.

Smooth Criminal
02-23-2007, 06:17 PM
they just said on FSN Pittsburgh that we prob. will try to trade Porter or let him go and go after Adalius Thomas and LaVar Arrington(if he passes his medical exam). they also said that we will look at a few LBer's in the draft and also at a RB early.

That is the most crap I've ever heard. These people should know by now the Steelers just don't make moves like this. They'll likely let Porter play out his contract and then let him leave.

Though I'd love to see Thomas as a Steeler.

mikehop05
02-23-2007, 06:45 PM

That is the most crap I've ever heard. These people should know by now the Steelers just don't make moves like this. They'll likely let Porter play out his contract and then let him leave.

itd be hard to swallow at first... ravens player comming over to the right side

but hes a classy guy, ive never had any problems with him and hes a helluva player

steel man
02-23-2007, 08:45 PM

hey... i am just telling you what a network station interviewing Ed Bouchette reported....this is not my wish or my optiion this is what they talked about during the interview.

Hines
02-23-2007, 10:20 PM
if somehow gaines adams fell to us
and so did okeyo (sp)
who would you take
moss
adams
or the louisville guy

mikehop05
02-24-2007, 12:03 AM
and so did okeyo (sp)
who would you take
moss
adams
or the louisville guy

adams

neko4
02-24-2007, 02:10 AM
and so did okeyo (sp)
who would you take
moss
adams
or the louisville guy

adams

yes most def adams, he would be such a hausly OLB in 34 and DE in 43. adams all the way.

and whats up i know some of you watched the combine today. give us poor folk some scoop.

skarocksoi
02-24-2007, 10:58 AM
and so did okeyo (sp)
who would you take
moss
adams
or the louisville guy

adams

yes most def adams, he would be such a hausly OLB in 34 and DE in 43. adams all the way.

and whats up i know some of you watched the combine today. give us poor folk some scoop.

They really havent done a lot yet. It's all been weigh-ins and interviews. Nothing spectacular. The workouts dont start until tomorrow I believe.

Hines
02-24-2007, 11:11 AM
today is the olineman
i had to turn it off so i dont know really whats goin on

mikehop05
02-24-2007, 11:20 AM
i hope stiller rips it for us

instead im stuck watching espn/this site for the updates which is no fun

CDub
02-24-2007, 11:23 AM
So far, including last nite, it's only been OL, TE, and K/P's going thru drills. Yesterday was the bench press and Blalock set the bar at 40 reps. That may not disprove his rep as an underacheiver, but 40 reps is still impressive.

Dan Mozes moves better than I thought.

Can't help but laugh at Joe Thomas just cause when he runs his elbows stick out to the side real far and it looks goofy, but, the key is it works and he moves pretty well.

Tony Ugoh pulled his quad running one of the drills.

A guy who's stood out to me is Drew Mormino, C out of Central Mich. Didn't hear anything about him leading up to the combine but he has moved well and could be a solid value pick in the mid rounds.

Both Mansfield Wrotto and Samson Satele have looked good in the pulling drills.

Now they're moving on to the "kick-slide drill" which is a pass protection drill and the TEs are getting ready to run 40s so I'll update after that.

mikehop05
02-24-2007, 11:54 AM
just lettign u all know im the assisstant gm for the steelers in this off season mock going on right now

if anyone is following it in the fantasy section of the board and has any input lemme know!!

TerribleEd
02-24-2007, 12:44 PM
Gaines Adams, without hesitation, although he will never drop that far.

Mr. Stiller
02-24-2007, 07:34 PM
The Combine wasn't anything amazing..

Highlights.

Tony Ugoh with a tweaked Quad, busted a 9 ft, 9in broad jump.

Zach Miller ran as slow as the fastest olineman (Giving up 62 lbs)

Greg Olsen ran a 4.45 and didn't drop a ball in practice.

Manuel Ramirez and Justin Blalock busted 40 Reps.

developments as they happen.

Tight Ends

Michael Allan Whitworth 6-6/255
**Ran well...Caught the ball well...Blue collar type player...Ran a 4.69...Did 19 reps of 225**

Kevin Boss Western Oregon 6-6/252
**Did not bench due to a left shoulder injury...Very impressive...Ran well...Great athlete...soft hands...Adjust well for the ball...Ran a 4.81**

Scott Chandler Iowa 6-7/270
**Great size...Ran well...Great upside...Weak on the bench...Ran a 4.87...Did 16 reps of 225**

Daniel Coats BYU 6-2/257
**Undersized...Akward when catching the ball...Ran a 4.96...Did 34 reps of 225**

Jonny Harline BYU 6-3/248
**Not very physical or strong...Ran a 4.88...Did 15 reps of 225**

Clark Harris Rutgers 6-5/261
**Not very strong at the point of attack...Didn't look very natural catching the ball...Ran a 4.85...Did 21 reps of 225**

Zach Miller Arizona State 6-4/256
**Did not bench due to wrist injury...Did not run well...Ran a 4.89**

Martrez Milner Georgia 6-3/252
**Didn't run real well...Inconsistent at times catching the ball...Ran a 4.79...Did 19 reps of 225**

Joe Newton Oregon State 6-7/257
**Caught the ball well...Ran slow...Ran a 4.91...Did 20 reps of 225**

Greg Olsen Miami 6-5/254
**Special player...Caught the ball well...Can really get up the seam...Naturally strong...May have moved up to the middle of the first round...Ran a 4.45...Did 23 reps of 225**

Ben Patrick Delaware 6-3/252
**Shoulder strain did not lift...Ran a 4.77**

Anthony Pudewell Nevada-Reno 6-4/250
**Great blocker...A little slow, but a great short yardage blocker...Ran a 5.04...Did 15 reps of 225**

Gijon Robinson Missouri Western State 6-0/255
**Undersized for a TE, will likely be a FB...Ran a 4.79...Did 21 reps of 225**

Dante Rosario Oregon 6-3/244
**Excellent receiver...Good route runner...Natural pass catcher...Ran a 4.83...Did 20 reps of 225**

Derek Schouman Boise State 6-2/247
**Another TE who will likely end up as a FB...Ran a 4.69...Did 27 reps of 225**

Matt Spaeth Minnesota 6-7/270
**Did not participate in workouts**

Chad Upshaw Buffalo 6-4/252
**Ran a 4.92...Did 16 reps of 225**

Offensive Linemen Group Two

Ben Grubbs Auburn 6-2/311
**Smooth athlete...Very quick...Great knee bend...Very good balance...Very good feet...Ran a 5.20...Did 29 reps of 225**

Gabe Hall Texas 6-3/317
**Great athlete...Showed excellent change of direction...Ran a 4.88...Did 22 reps of 225**

Leroy Harris North Carolina State 6-2/302
**Good balance...Short area player...Ran a 5.37...Did 29 reps of 225**

Ryan Harris Notre Dame 6-4/305
**Ran well...Great balance...Very good feet...Ran a 5.10...Did 22 reps of 225**

Mario Henderson Florida State 6-6/302
**Ran better than expected...Small legs...Weak base...Ran a 5.13...Did 20 reps of 225**

Stephon Heyer Maryland 6-6/334
**Thin legs...Ran poorly...Strong player...Ran a 5.67...Did 30 reps of 225**

Corey Hilliard Oklahoma State 6-5/308
**Stiff in lower body...Ran a 5.42...Did 28 reps of 225**

Chase Johnson Wyoming 6-8/330
**Huge frame...Ran slow...No quickness...Waist bender...Ran a 5.49...Did not bench**

Mike Jones Iowa 6-5/309
**Average type of a player...Ran a 5.43...Did 28 reps of 225**

Ryan Kalil USC 6-2/299
**Very athletic...Showed great quickness...Great short area player...Really raised his stock...Ran a 4.97...Did 34 reps of 225**

Adam Koets Oregon State 6-5/298
**Big body...Ran well...Ran a 5.04...Did 20 reps of 225**

Enoka Lucas Oregon 6-2/303
**Good feet...Short area player...Seemed to really tire out as the workout went on...Ran a 5.49...Did 34 reps of 225**

Palauni Ma Sun Oregon 6-5/319
**Not a real good athlete...Ran slow, seemed to be knock kneed...Ran a 5.85...Did 22 reps of 225**

James Marten Boston College 6-7/309
**Great size...Very athletic...Showed great feet...Really raised his value...Ran a 5.00...Did not Bench will bench at his Pro Day**

Drew Mormino Central Michigan 6-3/299
**Ran OK, but with his head down...Ran a 5.38...Did 27 reps of 225**

Dan Mozes West Virginia 6-2.5/293
**Undersized...Good player, but plays small not real powerful...Ran a 5.36...Did 28 reps of 225**

Uche Nwaneri Purdue 6-3/325
**Ran a 5.38, but tweaked his hamstring...Did 24 reps of 225**

Mike Otto Purdue 6-5/308
**Ran well, had an ok workout...Ran a 5.25...Did 20 reps on the bench**

Manuel Ramirez Texas Tech 6-3/326
**Did not do any drills, recovering from knee surgery...Did 40 reps of 225**

Dan Santucci Notre Dame 6-3/301
**Ran well...Overachiever...Not real strong...Ran a 5.13...Did 23 reps of 225**

Samson Satele Hawaii 6-2/300
**Good bend...Had a solid workout...Ran a 5.25...Did 25 reps of 225**

Aaron Sears Tennessee 6-3/319
**Did not work out hyper extended his knee at the Senior Bowl....Did 21 reps of 225**

Kendrick Shackleford Georgia 6-4/322
**Big man...Stiff...Ran a 5.35...Did 28 reps of 225**

Joe Staley Central Michigan 6-5/307
**Did not work out, recovering from a hamstring injury...Did 27 reps of 225**

Cameron Stephenson Rutgers 6-3/306
**Thick build...Strong, but slow...Ran a 5.42...Did 34 reps of 225**

Scott Stephenson Iowa State 6-3/297
**Not real strong...Tough kid, but stiff...Ran a 5.20...Did 21 reps of 225**

Kasey Studdard Texas 6-2/303
**Short arms...Ran a 5.21...Did 32 reps of 225**

Herbert Taylor TCU 6-3/296
**Decent size...Ran well...good build...Has great range...Ran a 5.24...Did 26 reps of 225**

Joe Thomas Wisconsin 6-6/311
**Stud, he is the total package...Great build...Technician...Great athlete...Outstanding change of direction...Ran a 5.00...Did 28 reps of 225**

Tony Ugoh Arkansas 6-5/301
**Suffered a quad strain during his workout...Real athletic...Ran well...Converted basketball player, didn't seem physical...Ran a 5.05...Did 32 reps of 225**

Dane Uperasa Hawaii 6-4/309
**Ran one forty, but pulled up short with a hamstring injury...Did not bench due to a pectoral strain**

Elliott Vallejo Cal-Davis 6-7/327
**Slow and stiff...Soft in the middle...Ran a 5.34...Did 24 reps of 225**

Julius Wilson UAB 6-4/327
**Good power...Good feet...Did not really run well...Ran a 5.44...Did not bench, shoulder injury**

Mansfield Wrotto Georgia Tech 6-3/317
**Great upside...Good feet...Great balance...Ran a 5.37...Did 27 reps of 225**

Marshal Yanda Iowa 6-3/307
**MCL Strain did not work out**

Offensive Linemen Group One Notes:

Andy Alleman Akron 6-4/305

**Ran well, good pull and lead blocker...Really raising his value with a solid early workout...Ran a 5.07...Did 27 reps of 225**

Allen Barbre Missouri Southern 6-4/300

**Ran very well and looked very athletic...Ran a 4.89...Did 28 reps of 225**

Joshua Beekman Boston College 6-1.5/313

**Short stepper...Good short area player...Showed good quickness...Ran a 5.39...Did 24 reps of 225**

Nathan Bennett Clemson 6-4/316

**Waist bender...Looked stiff at times...Ran a 5.70...Did 34 reps of 225**

Stephen Berg Arizona State 6-4/330

**Not working out recovering from an injured ACL...Did 19 reps of 225**

Justin Blalock Texas 6-3/320

**Lacked explosion during drills...Ran well and looked athletic...Ran a 5.23...Did 40 reps of 225**

Levi Brown Penn State 6-5/323

**Looked much more natural as a left tackle than he did on the right side...Ran a 5.39...Did 31 reps of 225**

Andrew Carnahan Arizona State 6-7/306

**Recovering from an injured ACL...Did 22 reps of 225**

Doug Datish Ohio State 6-4/302

**Ran very well...Really raised his stock after the early morning workout...Good pull and lead skills...Ran a 5.18...Did 31 reps of 225**

Chris Denman Fresno State 6-6/315

**Looked good in pass pro...Did not look real powerful...Ran a 5.5...Did 21 reps of 225**

Tim Duckworth Auburn 6-3/306

**Good kick step...Limited area player...Ran a 5.42...Did 20 reps of 225**

Tala Esera Hawaii 6-3/312

**Recovering from a sprained MCL suffered at the Senior Bowl and now has contracted the Flu**

Mark Fenton Colorado 6-3/312

**Right Calf Putt, did not participate in drills**

Doug Free Northern Illinois 6-6/324

**Ran well for a big man...Forward leaner, not a real strong base...Ran a 5.22...Did 22 reps of 225**

Dustin Fry Clemson 6-2.5/314

**Pulled Quad while running...Did 34 reps of 225**

Brandon Frye Virginia Tech 6-4/301

**Nice athlete...Covers a lot of ground in a hurry...Raised his stock...Ran a 5.11...Did 34 reps of 225**

Long Snappers:

Nick Leeson Virginia Tech 6-1/255

**Ran a 4.87**

Jared Retkofsky TCU 6-4/265

**Ran a 4.93**

Mr. Stiller
02-24-2007, 07:35 PM
With that said:

MOCK TIME!!!

Our 1st for New York Jets 1st and 2nd
Our 2nd for Denvers 2nd and 3rd.

As for where I see them Standard Position(Secondary position)
Defense: 4-3 Position (3-4 Position)

1) Joe Staley, OT, Central Michigan

Joe Staley
Height: 6-5 | Weight: 300 | 40-Time: 4.75

Official Bio

Strengths:
Is an amazing athlete for the position with feet that are second to none...Timed speed, agility and quickness are outstanding...Moves well in open space and can get to the second level...Shows the ability to change direction and adjust on the fly...Good intangibles with a motor that is always running...Smart player who picks things up quickly and has shown consistent improvement...Still has lots of upside.

Weaknesses:
Is still new to the position and pretty raw...Has done a good job of bulking up but could still stand to pack on some additional pounds...Is not overly powerful at the point of attack...Has to develop more of a mean streak and a killer instinct...Needs to keep hitting those weights and continue to get stronger...Level of competition.

Notes:
Began his college career as a 220 lb. freshman tight end...Really put himself on the map when he reportedly ran a 4.70 forty at the Chippewa's Pro Day workout as a junior...Is a much better prospect than his former teammates Eric Ghiaciuc and Adam Kieft were...Could legitimately play left tackle in the NFL...Is a workout warrior with phenomenal measurables who has not yet reached his full potential.

2a) Michael Bush, RB, Louisville

Michael Bush
Height: 6-3 | Weight: 247 | 40-Time: 4.50

Official Bio

Strengths:
Has terrific size...Very good timed speed for a guy with his dimensions and has a burst...A phenomenal athlete...Natural runner with great vision and instincts...A smart, patient runner with great power who can move a pile...Excellent balance and agility...Has superb hands and runs good routes...Was productive both as a receiver out of the backfield as well as splitting out wide...Has fantastic feet and is very nimble...Was very productive at every level and just seems to have a nose for the endzone...Adequate blocker...Can run inside and outside...A team leader.

Weaknesses:
Coming off a relatively major injury...Will get overweight at times...Is not quite as physical of a runner as you'd think he would be considering his size...Too upright and needs to run with a lower pad level...Lacks breakaway speed and won't run away from people in the pros...Not overly nifty or elusive...Has never carried the load in college and always split carries with the likes of Eric Shelton, Lionel Gates and even Kolby Smith...Was he a product of the system...Has durability concerns.

Notes:
Suffered a broken leg in the first game of his senior campaign and he missed the rest of the '06 season but there should not be any long-term effects...He had the option of redshirting and playing one more year at Louisville but chose to go pro instead...Top recruit who also played some quarterback and safety as a freshman for the Cardinals...Legitimate 1st round talent whose stock has dipped due to the injury...How high he ultimately goes will depend on how healthy he is prior to the draft...A versatile prospect with starting potential in the mold of Jamal Lewis who may wind up being a steal for someone if he falls to the latter portion of Day One.
Career Statistics
Year GP Att Yds Avg TD Rec Yds TD
2003 13 81 503 6.2 6 17 240 1
2004 12 132 734 5.6 7 11 155 0
2005 10 205 1,143 5.6 23 21 253 1
2006 1 17 128 7.5 3 1 3 0
Totals 36 435 2,508 5.8 39 50 651 2

2B)Tim Crowder, DE(OLB), Texas
Tim Crowder
Height: 6-4 | Weight: 270 | 40-Time: 4.80

Official Bio

Strengths:
Has decent size and bulk for the position...Good strength...Does a nice job versus the run and is stout at the point...Uses his hands well...Athletic with good range and can drop into coverage...Technically and fundamentally sound...Is very smart and a hard worker with a great motor and excellent intangibles...Very tough and has been durable...Productive...Has a ton of experience against top competition.

Weaknesses:
Does not have great speed or a burst...Is not really a sack artist...His agility and quickness are just average...Will struggle to disengage from blocks...Is somewhat inconsistent...Overaggressive at times...Probably doesn't have very much upside.

Notes:
Four-year starter for the Longhorns...Had the best season of his career by far as a senior...Was also a good baseball player in high school...A jack-of-all-trades but master of none who's solid but doesn't really stand out in any one area...He will never be an elite pass rusher but he can be a good all-around player in the pros.
Career Statistics
Year GP TKL TFL SACK
2003 13 35 3.0 1.0
2004 12 47 10.0 4.5
2005 13 50 9.0 3.0
2006 13 59 18.0 10.5
Totals 51 191 40.0 19.0

3a)Rory Johnson, WLB(ILB), Ole' Miss
No Profile Available

3b) Jonathan Wade, CB, Tennessee

Jonathan Wade
Height: 6-0 | Weight: 195 | 40-Time: 4.45

Official Bio

Strengths:
Has good size and a solid build...A smooth athlete with fluid hips...Excellent speed with great quickness and a burst...Is able to recover from mistakes...Physical and aggressive...Gives good effort as a tackler...Had a nice senior campaign...Still has lots of upside and may flourish now that he is completely focused on the gridiron.

Weaknesses:
Inconsistent and doesn't always play up to his physical tools...Doesn't have great instincts or awareness...Has some health and durability concerns...His ball skills are not what you'd expect from a former wideout...Still raw and needs some work when it comes to technique...Is he just a track guy playing football or vise versa?

Notes:
Started his college career as a wide receiver and didn't move to defense full time until 2004...Was a member of two of the three fastest 4x100M relay teams in Vols history...Redshirted in 2003 after having surgery for a shoulder injury...Could get drafted earlier than expected based on his immense potential...He has everything you look for from a physical standpoint and really just needs to put it all together.
Career Statistics
Year GP TKL PBU INT YDS
2002 12 2 0 0 0
2003 2 0 0 0 0
2004 13 24 1 0 0
2005 11 32 7 2 53
2006 13 52 13 4 59
Totals 51 110 21 6 112

4a) Manuel Ramirez, OG, Texas Tech
Manuel Ramirez
Height: 6-4 | Weight: 335 | 40-Time: 5.20

Official Bio

Strengths:
Massive with a huge frame...Incredibly strong and powerful...Stout at the point of attack and holds his ground...Once he locks on the battle is over...Is quick for his size...Tough and extremely physical...He can be a dominant run blocker...Durable with a lot of experience...Hard worker and team leader with excellent intangibles.

Weaknesses:
Is not overly athletic...Not very mobile or agile in space...Is only an average pass blocker despite a lot of reps...Short arms...Stamina is an issue late in games...Will have to adjust to a pro offense after playing in such a unique system in college.

Notes:
Strongest member of the team with a bench press of 550 lbs...Quite the physical specimen...He is not flashy but you know what you are getting...Will be limited to playing inside at the next level and his best fit will be with a run orientated team.

4b) Daniel Sepulveda, P, Baylor
Daniel Sepulveda
Height: 6-3 | Weight: 230 | 40-Time: 4.75

Official Bio

Strengths:
Has an extremely strong leg...Handles the ball well...Shows good placement and can pin opponents...Very good athlete for the position...Has a big frame and solid build...Physical and can tackle...Very smart and a hard worker...Also a PAT holder.

Weaknesses:
Has had some trouble with out-kicking his coverage...Accuracy can get spotty at times and he needs to be more consistent...Tore his ACL while playing basketball in the spring prior to his senior season so health and durability are big concerns.

Notes:
Two-time winner of the Ray Guy Award as the nation's top punter ('04 & '06)...A three-time All-American...Brother, Stephen, played linebacker for Baylor...Actually began his college career as a walk-on linebacker...Has a history of knee problems with his right (non-kicking) leg...A prolific collegiate punter and excellent physical specimen who has all the tools needed to compete for a starting job in the pros.
Career Statistics
Year GP Punts Yds Avg Lg IN20 BLK
2002 DNP - - - - - -
2003 12 87 3,750 43.1 62 23 4
2004 11 62 2,850 46.0 69 26 0
2005 11 62 2,863 46.2 78 13 0
2006 12 66 3,068 46.5 78 26 0
Totals 46 277 12,531 45.2 78 88 4

4c) Steve Smith, WR, USC
Steve Smith
Height: 6-0 | Weight: 195 | 40-Time: 4.55

Official Bio

Strengths:
A smooth natural athlete with good quickness...Runs excellent routes and knows how to get open...Has reliable hands...Elusive after the catch...An above average blocker...Good body control...Tough and will work across the middle...Productive, got better every year and had some big games as a senior...A lot of experience.

Weaknesses:
Doesn't have the speed or burst that you look for and is not very explosive...Size, strength and bulk are average...Struggles to separate, won't stretch the field and is not a vertical threat...Has some character concerns...Was never really the main focus of opposing defenses...Durability is a question...Doesn't have much upside.

Notes:
Was born in Alaska...Brother, Malcolm, is a top prep recruit who will be playing DI football in 2007...Overshadowed by Mike Williams and Dwayne Jarrett...Broke his roommate's (Dominique Byrd) jaw in '05...Similar in many ways to another former Trojan, Keary Colbert...A classic possession receiver who will never be a true #1 target but he can be a very nice #2, #3 or slot and thrive in a complimentary role.
Career Statistics
Year GP Rec Yds YPC TD
2003 12 17 319 18.8 2
2004 8 42 660 15.7 6
2005 13 60 957 15.9 5
2006 13 71 1,083 15.3 9
Totals 46 190 3,019 15.9 22

5) Anthony Waters, MLB(MLB), Clemson
Anthony Waters
Height: 6-3 | Weight: 235 | 40-Time: 4.65

Official Bio

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

Notes:

COMING SOON! Career Statistics Year GP TKL TFL SACK PBU INT 2002 DNP - - - - - 2003 13 35 0.0 0.0 0 0 2004 11 70 9.0 2.0 1 0 2005 11 109 13.5 1.5 7 0 2006 1 3 0.0 0.0 0 0 Totals 36 217 22.5 3.5 8 0
6) Antonio Johnson, DT(DE), Mississippi State
Antonio Johnson
Height: 6-3 | Weight: 300 | 40-Time: 4.95

Official Bio

Strengths:
Has great size and the frame to get a little bigger yet...Very athletic with excellent quickness...Timed speed is very good...Is strong and powerful...Mobile with good range...Sheds blocks and disengages well...Makes plays in the backfield...Displays flashes of brilliance and can be almost dominant at times...Still has lots of upside.

Weaknesses:
Was not very productive and is not a great pass rusher...Instincts and awareness are questionable...Has only two years of Division I experience and only started for one...Plays too high at times...He's not stout at the point of attack and can be run at...Might only be a wave player in the pros...Still raw and needs technique work.

Notes:
Did not play during his senior high school campaign and then played his first two years at Mississippi Delta Community College...Has just about everything you look for physically...Some team will likely take a flyer on him earlier than his play would dictate based on his measurables and immense potential...A developmental guy.
Career Statistics
Year GP TKL TFL SACK
2003 JUCO - - -
2004 JUCO - - -
2005 11 15 3.0 2.5
2006 12 21 4.0 0.0
Totals 23 36 7.0 2.5

7) Brian Smith, DE/SLB(OLB), Missouri (Could play DE if bulked up, but could be a monstrous SLB, with Speed..)
Brian Smith
Height: 6-4 | Weight: 230 | 40-Time: 4.80

Official Bio

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

Notes:

COMING SOON! Career Statistics Year GP TKL TFL SACK PBU INT 2002 DNP - - - - - 2003 13 41 8.0 8.0 0 0 2004 11 22 8.0 7.0 2 0 2005 12 66 17.0 9.0 5 1 2006 8 30 9.5 7.5 5 0 Totals 44 159 42.5 31.5 12 1

GDawg239
02-24-2007, 10:27 PM
Nice draft, i doubt that Waters will be there in the 5th right now yeah, but after combine i doubt either 4th or late/mid third

And u think crowder is going to be there that late, if he is thats great, i also like the DE from Hawaii Ilaika Alama-Francis

another think Miami again produces another amazing looking TE

skarocksoi
02-24-2007, 10:41 PM
From what I saw, Kalil and Thomas looked the best out of all the O-lineman in group 2. Didn't get to see group 1, but from some of the clips I saw, Levi Brown looked really good too. My favorite guy was Samson Satele who showed some nastiness during a 1 on 1 kinda drill. I think he played center for Hawaii, but I think he would make one nasty guard. If we go shopping for a center, Kalil is the guy, and I wouldn't be suprised to get him in the second. Also, Nathan Bennet from Clemson did 34 reps, and Blalock did 40. I think Bennet could be a good project guy.

I didnt really watch the tight ends too much cause we dont need any real big name, and they dont do too much blocking stuff.

mikehop05
02-25-2007, 12:40 AM
as assit. GM we picked Timmons in round 1 and Kalil in round 2 if the fantasy mock

no one was willing to give enough to trade with us so swe could go down...

i think we made some solid picks though,

our head GM traded our 3rd for dre bky though

which is what it is

w/e main

im drunk nihtet

neko4
02-25-2007, 03:16 PM
this is odd, what does everyone think of the new look??

GDawg239
02-25-2007, 03:29 PM
Yeha not feeling the new look

Man_Of_Steel
02-25-2007, 06:18 PM
kinda wierd

mikehop05
02-25-2007, 06:46 PM
its different...

Hines
02-25-2007, 06:46 PM
eh i really dont liek it but i read that the steelers r interested in alan branch. i think that would be huge if we landed him. but theres no way we would get him unless we trade up

neko4
02-25-2007, 06:53 PM
eh i really dont liek it but i read that the steelers r interested in alan branch. i think that would be huge if we landed him. but theres no way we would get him unless we trade up

that would be pretty sweet. where did you hear that??

Hines
02-25-2007, 07:13 PM
i read it on the steeler website and they said they found it on profootballtalk.com i think it was. go to the website and look for the thread alan branch and there it is

Man_Of_Steel
02-25-2007, 08:19 PM
Amobi Okoye to me isnt that far off from Branch. If we do decide to go DT we could get Okoye with much less damage.

Hines
02-25-2007, 08:20 PM
i read that the steelers could have interest in these three linebackers

kawika mitchell
demorrio williams
ej henderson

outta those three who woulld u liek to see the most
id personally liek to see williams
then henderson
then mitchell but thats just me

also add kelly washington

and add a tony hunt
and moss in teh draft
and there we go

Man_Of_Steel
02-25-2007, 08:29 PM
How bout Jarrett, how far is his draft stock falling right now?
Not running the 40 and the rumours of him being the slowest wr, tying the fastest lineman.
I realy think he'll be there at our pick, would you take him?

I wouldnt and i havent liked the idea for a while. I think for the steelers to take a first round wr would be a waste. Also i think Jarrett is one of the most overated players in the draft by far. I believe steve smith had more catches and yards. Anyway i just dont see him gettting separation in the NFL and think hes gonna be a bust.

Your thoughts?

Smooth Criminal
02-25-2007, 08:41 PM
Not really a need for this particular thread anymore now that we have our own board for the Steelers. I guess it'll help keep things more organized but I kinda liked just having the thread.

neko4
02-25-2007, 09:06 PM
Not really a need for this particular thread anymore now that we have our own board for the Steelers. I guess it'll help keep things more organized but I kinda liked just having the thread.

i guess it for non-steeler fans to ask the opinion of steeler fans.

neko4
02-25-2007, 09:09 PM
How bout Jarrett, how far is his draft stock falling right now?
Not running the 40 and the rumours of him being the slowest wr, tying the fastest lineman.
I realy think he'll be there at our pick, would you take him?

I wouldnt and i havent liked the idea for a while. I think for the steelers to take a first round wr would be a waste. Also i think Jarrett is one of the most overated players in the draft by far. I believe steve smith had more catches and yards. Anyway i just dont see him gettting separation in the NFL and think hes gonna be a bust.

Your thoughts?

wouldn't take him if he fell to us in the 2nd. maybe the 3rd but not even the second. i think it will be true about his speed....being so slow and all. and like you said i would take steve smith over him.

mikehop05
02-25-2007, 09:24 PM
i dunno i like jarrett...

i love the big bodied guys who can go up and get the ball, i'd take him ina heartbeast in the 2nd

skarocksoi
02-25-2007, 10:01 PM
I'd take him in the second, but I think that Rice will be there too, and I'd rather have him. My top pick would be Bowe, but I'd take either of the two.

As for the new board, visually it looks pretty bad, but hopefully it functions alright.

neko4
02-25-2007, 10:01 PM
i dunno i like jarrett...

i love the big bodied guys who can go up and get the ball, i'd take him ina heartbeast in the 2nd

no come on man. jarrett is no good and we can find someone else in the draft that is better than him to go up and get the ball when big ben throws a bad pass, which hardly ever happens anyway.

GDawg239
02-25-2007, 10:16 PM
I think if we pick a reciver i want someone like Ward that will go over the middle, and hold on to it, ohh

LSU reciver Dawnye Bowie he could be a Ward type player, i think he can be had in the third round, fourth if we get lucky

GDawg239
02-25-2007, 10:17 PM
Also this is off topic but anyone know how to make the sigs work i know stupid question but i have tride so hard cant figure out how to make it work

mikehop05
02-25-2007, 10:23 PM
I think if we pick a reciver i want someone like Ward that will go over the middle, and hold on to it, ohh

LSU reciver Dawnye Bowie he could be a Ward type player, i think he can be had in the third round, fourth if we get lucky

lol are u serious?

bowe wont make it out of the first round bud

mikehop05
02-25-2007, 10:27 PM
no come on man. jarrett is no good and we can find someone else in the draft that is better than him to go up and get the ball when big ben throws a bad pass, which hardly ever happens anyway.

haha true, but i just like him... hes a classy guy and a big guy

im a sucker for the big guys that can get up there!

neko4
02-25-2007, 10:34 PM

yea doode i seriously hope that was sarcasm. bowe should be the second reciever taken in the entire draft in my opinion(and yes i spelled it out)

steel man
02-25-2007, 10:44 PM
i would like to see us get Ben a good handed WR(sometime in the draft 1st-7th) but i really hope that we spend most of our pick on the "D". i want a mean, nasty, scary,hard hitting "D", the most feared in the NFL. we have a great "D" now but i hope to get it even better.

steel man
02-25-2007, 10:47 PM
on a side note did you guys notice that our post count went down. not that it really matters, but wonder why?

mikehop05
02-25-2007, 10:53 PM
i would like to see us get Ben a good handed WR(sometime in the draft 1st-7th) but i really hope that we spend most of our pick on the "D". i want a mean, nasty, scary,hard hitting "D", the most feared in the NFL. we have a great "D" now but i hope to get it even better.

yeah i agree

mikehop05
02-25-2007, 10:55 PM
on a side note did you guys notice that our post count went down. not that it really matters, but wonder why?

yeah im pissed i had 500+ lol

now ima rookie again damnit

neko4
02-25-2007, 11:48 PM
hey does anyone know the results of Nate Ilaoa from the combine?? like what he ran and what not?? just curious.

steel man
02-26-2007, 12:28 AM
i hope he does "terrible" then the "terrible towels" can pick him up with a 7th rd. pick or even as an UDFA. as long as he does not do so bad that even Pittsburgh does not want him.

neko4
02-26-2007, 12:33 AM
i hope he does "terrible" then the "terrible towels" can pick him up with a 7th rd. pick or even as an UDFA. as long as he does not do so bad that even Pittsburgh does not want him.

dude to be honest, and some of you will not agree. but i would go as high as the 4-5 rounds and grab him, the way he was used in Hawaii, is the exact way that we use our 3rd down backs and he was a demon. meaning screens and draws and what not. look at his stats and he was a beast reciever. i think if we picked him up then he would beat out najeh and verron for the 2nd spot. and i would absolutely love it. him and desmond bishop for some reason are two guys that i want desperately.

terribletowel39
02-26-2007, 09:25 AM
does anyone know why my post are coming up as neko4??

EDIT: and why i have the **** quote at the bottom of my post???

Smooth Criminal
02-26-2007, 10:11 AM
The post count went back up.

Man_Of_Steel
02-26-2007, 10:15 AM
so everyone is at their right post amount?

terribletowel39
02-26-2007, 10:36 AM
so everyone is at their right post amount?

looks like it, did yall see what happened to all my old post?? neko4??

skarocksoi
02-26-2007, 10:40 AM
Hey I'm thinking about starting a seperate thread in our new section to talk about some guys at the combine, so if you have anyone you are looking at or want some info, come on over.

brat316
02-26-2007, 11:08 AM
Was that video of the nfl combine ever put up

Mr. Stiller
02-26-2007, 11:33 AM
Was that video of the nfl combine ever put up

Still trying to rip it but the DRM is being a pain in the ass so unless new software comes out you guys are SOL.. Sorry.

I made a Thread for my mocks. Let me know what you guys think

terribletowel39
02-26-2007, 12:22 PM
is anyone else in absolutely lust and love with the User CP??? so easy to hop back and forth from where you are posting. that is a big bonus for this new system.

mikehop05
02-26-2007, 12:23 PM
is anyone else in absolutely lust and love with the User CP??? so easy to hop back and forth from where you are posting. that is a big bonus for this new system.

yeah and i like the new team forums

Man_Of_Steel
02-26-2007, 12:36 PM
i dont like the new team forums, i liked it much better when all steeler stuff was in one thread, not broken into topics.

terribletowel39
02-26-2007, 12:47 PM
i dont like the new team forums, i liked it much better when all steeler stuff was in one thread, not broken into topics.

ya i am kinda half and half on that part of it, cuz while it is convenient, i don't know i guess it is a mental thing, that a steeler topic is not in the Steelers Team Forum.

skarocksoi
02-26-2007, 12:50 PM
Its actually a little more convenient because you dont have to search through 3 pages of stuff to get an idea of what everyone is talking about. It breaks things down and makes it a little easier to follow

Man_Of_Steel
02-26-2007, 01:52 PM
Way back when Mr. Stiller you and I argued when you said Patrick willis was slow, and on top of that Harris and Jon Beason were faster.
Well guess what, the results are in and omg i was right. Big surprise (cough, cough).

Willis- 4.49
Harris- 4.53
Beason- 4.64

Awww Yeaaaa

steel man
02-26-2007, 02:48 PM
dude to be honest, and some of you will not agree. but i would go as high as the 4-5 rounds and grab him, the way he was used in Hawaii, is the exact way that we use our 3rd down backs and he was a demon. meaning screens and draws and what not. look at his stats and he was a beast reciever. i think if we picked him up then he would beat out najeh and verron for the 2nd spot. and i would absolutely love it. him and desmond bishop for some reason are two guys that i want desperately.

i would not mind to go higher, all i was getting at was if he does not do to good then we could use a higher pick on someone else and still get him in a later rd. all i know is i really like him and i hope the Steelers know about him and have been watching him. i hope we take a chance on him.

Man_Of_Steel
02-26-2007, 04:21 PM
the 6th round is the highest id take him

Mr. Stiller
02-26-2007, 04:52 PM
Way back when Mr. Stiller you and I argued when you said Patrick willis was slow, and on top of that Harris and Jon Beason were faster.
Well guess what, the results are in and omg i was right. Big surprise (cough, cough).

Willis- 4.49
Harris- 4.53
Beason- 4.64

Awww Yeaaaa

You got me there, I'm still not impressed with Willis.

I'd rather have Rory Johnson.

I watched alot of P. willis' Games and he doesn't impress me.. period. I've watched Anthony Waters, Desmond Bishop and David Harris... I've settled on Anthony Waters.

skarocksoi
02-26-2007, 05:07 PM
The only thing with Waters is that he's coming off an ACL tear or something like that, so a pretty serious injury. If he's back to where he was before that, then I'm betting he'd be a steal in the 4th. I think I'd like Harris or Bishop, with Bishop possibly being a better value in the 3rd if he runs below a 4.8

Man_Of_Steel
02-26-2007, 05:14 PM
I would love Waters in the forth

mikehop05
02-26-2007, 06:15 PM
I would love Waters in the forth

yeah same id love that

brat316
02-26-2007, 06:53 PM
Did he run at the combine

Would Timmons be a good fit for us

yeah that was a stupid comment about Dawanye Bowe being in the third, though he should be the second reciver taken, i think its not going to happen becuase of Mecheasem, i see him falling out of the first but not the second unless the chargers take him in the first,

terribletowel39
02-26-2007, 06:53 PM
when does the combine end??

Man_Of_Steel
02-26-2007, 07:14 PM
Timmons is great, although I dont think any of us have really looked at him seriously with all the trade down talk.

Man_Of_Steel
02-26-2007, 07:15 PM
I believe the combine ends Tuesday

TerribleEd
02-26-2007, 10:39 PM
There's another linebacker worth paying close attention:

Zak DeOssie of Brown University. He did extremely well at the Combine competing with, and sometimes outdoing, some of the highly-touted LB prospects. Ran about a 4.6. Put up 26 reps. Was highly competitive in the cone drills. His father played LB for the Giants and Patriots.

He played the last 3 seasons at ILB for Brown, but at 6'4", 250lbs, he has the flexibility to play inside or outside, including as a 3-4 rush backer.

terribletowel39
02-26-2007, 11:54 PM
There's another linebacker worth paying close attention:

Zak DeOssie of Brown University. He did extremely well at the Combine competing with, and sometimes outdoing, some of the highly-touted LB prospects. Ran about a 4.6. Put up 26 reps. Was highly competitive in the cone drills. His father played LB for the Giants and Patriots.

He played the last 3 seasons at ILB for Brown, but at 6'4", 250lbs, he has the flexibility to play inside or outside, including as a 3-4 rush backer.

sounds like a man beast. Brown?? isn't that in Rhode Island?? not sure. and hey is your name Ed or (and i hope not) your fav player Ed Reed??

brat316
02-27-2007, 12:53 AM
a small time linbacker putting up big numbers look at Antwan Barnes from Florida Int bench 225 31 reps, 40 time 4.40 how about taht he is 6'1 240 now that is impressive

steel man
02-27-2007, 08:55 AM
i talked about this guy awhile back. now that people has had more time to research players i am going to ask what you guys think of him once again and that player is Matt Trannon - WR - MSU he is 6'6" 216 ran a 4.54. his time is not 4.3 but .2 seconds in a game will not come into play. in a game you never run 40 yards as hard as you can like they do at the combine, so game speed is another type of speed. he could be picked up with a later round pick and still gives us a tall WR, plus until Ward retires 4-5 years from now we do not need a no. 1 WR, but in time i think he could be a no. 1. what do you guys think about him.

Hines
02-27-2007, 09:00 AM
im startin to like quincy black alot
id think he could make a good olb in our system and rush the passer
i mean the dude can run
and i also like antwaan barnes
and that jacob ford kid

jarvis moss is slidin down which we might be able to get a good value in the second if he slips down that far

i really think that the steelers will get a linebacker who had a great combine
hopefully 2

i really want
desmond bishop
and quincy black

brat316
02-27-2007, 10:30 AM
If the Reciever can go over the middle, take the hit and come down with the ball then he will be fine, sure he didnt run a great 40 he is 6'6 can he jump and is he strong

terribletowel39
02-27-2007, 10:52 AM
damn anybody watching all the DB's throw down some sick 40 times?? while i know we don't need any DBs anytime in day one, but it is still sick. my boy Landry threw down a 4.35 and Gil Brandt reported him at 4.32!! :D:D:D:D

CDub
02-27-2007, 11:58 AM
damn anybody watching all the DB's throw down some sick 40 times?? while i know we don't need any DBs anytime in day one, but it is still sick. my boy Landry threw down a 4.35 and Gil Brandt reported him at 4.32!! :D:D:D:D

Yea, as the official times come out there are 16 sub 4.4 times!!! That's amazing.

PittPete
02-27-2007, 12:07 PM
After the draft last year, I bemoaned the fact that we had a chance to get Winston Justice and passed; instead taking Holmes, who I do love. I empasized that our O-line was good but not great and we didn't have a franchise tackle, which I projected Justice to be(still think he will be). After watching the two ravens games and Ben running for his life on every play, I wish to address the situation again. We need to rebuild the friggin line!!!! Marvel Smith is fine against ordinary ends but cant handle speed rushers at all and is not a premier left tackle(there are only a few in the nfl). I would actually prefer Trai Essex there; at least give him a shot, he handled Freeney with ease. Colon looks like the real thing at right tackle; just the tough guy we need. Starks is good at run blocking and sucks at pass blocking; I would go back to using him on goal line situations. Inside, Faneca is our best guard in Steeler history, but I thought he got beat more last year; he'll rebound. Please, nobody even mention Kendall Simmons as a starter at either guard or center, he has been our soft spot since his ok rookie year. It's time to let Chuckie put up at center or else give Phillip a chance. Kemo seems to be the option at rt guard predraft. So who do I want in the draft? I love Blalock, especially if we can get him 2nd round, or drop late first round. I really want another premier o-lineman at the top of this draft. Before you spray your saliva all over the keyboards, watch those Ravens games from last year and remember we have to adjust, and some more 0-line muscle would be in order.

terribletowel39
02-27-2007, 12:33 PM
i agree with you Pete, but i think ramirez in the 3rd COULD be just as good as a pick up as blalock in the first. he is an offly beasty man, and would have no problem not letting SD Williams from pushing him around which is the game the needs to be viewed the most. simmons just got man handled in so many different ways in that game. i think we could bear to wait until the 3rd to pick up ramirez and would be set. other than that, i agree with your line completely. Essex Faneca Okobi Ramirez and Colon i THINK would be a great o-line.

terribletowel39
02-27-2007, 05:44 PM
hey what do you guys think?? is porter going to be a steeler next year??

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07057/765050-66.stm

i.want.troys.hair
02-27-2007, 06:41 PM

I think that he probably won't stay in Pittsburgh. It is a shame, he has certainly been a freak for us throughout the years. I remember when he first got here and tore it up, and everyone was like, "Who the heck is Joey Porter?" Anyways, it doesn't seem promising that he will stay. Tomlin and the Steelers do seem pretty cold to him, and I think that Tomlin might just be objective enough to cut him for the good of advancing the team. The plus side though is that it will free up $4 mil in cap room, and we wouldn't have to pay him that bonus, which could be very beneficial.

They resigned Aaron Smith for 5 years, which I am pretty excited about.

Anybody else that you all think might be saying goodbye to Pittsburgh?

mikehop05
02-27-2007, 07:20 PM

i just dont know if we have the personel to back him up right now...

i would love that extra cap $$ but honestly, haggans and harrison have been injured off and on and haggans had the same amount of sacks last year as porter

if we get rid of porter we better get 2 - 3 guys that can play olb in this off season / draft

terribletowel39
02-27-2007, 08:02 PM
agree with both of you. i don't know how i feel about it. i love joey porter and he is one of the faces of the steelers right now, but i honestly don't see him getting any better or back to his old 2-4 years ago self. this offseason is soo confusing.

mikehop05
02-27-2007, 08:09 PM
agree with both of you. i don't know how i feel about it. i love joey porter and he is one of the faces of the steelers right now, but i honestly don't see him getting any better or back to his old 2-4 years ago self. this offseason is soo confusing.

haha yeah its ridiculously confusing, thats why im here on the computer and they are out there making the decisions

Man_Of_Steel
02-27-2007, 08:32 PM
Great article.
Ive actually done a complete 360 on the formation situation, Im actually pretty excited and eager for a change to the 4-3.
Also, much different than my last mock. I still like the trade down, only this time taking Poz and in round two Spencer.

Man_Of_Steel
02-27-2007, 08:32 PM
Though dammit
I still love either Aaron Ross or Michael Bush in the second.

skarocksoi
02-27-2007, 09:45 PM
I see this as people who are paid to talk talking. I take my news from the horses mouth, and that horse is Mike Tomlin. He's said that he doesn't care about scheme and that the great players defy scheme. In my mind, he's saying we're going to play whatever our players fit best in, and thats probably how we will draft. Not who fits our system, but who is the best player to take, and we will make him fit. I feel like Tomlin will re-evaluate everything every year and decide what to do from there, so I'm betting we will be doing 3-4/4-3 hybrid looks for the next few years.

terribletowel39
02-27-2007, 11:01 PM
I see this as people who are paid to talk talking. I take my news from the horses mouth, and that horse is Mike Tomlin. He's said that he doesn't care about scheme and that the great players defy scheme. In my mind, he's saying we're going to play whatever our players fit best in, and thats probably how we will draft. Not who fits our system, but who is the best player to take, and we will make him fit. I feel like Tomlin will re-evaluate everything every year and decide what to do from there, so I'm betting we will be doing 3-4/4-3 hybrid looks for the next few years.

yea i don't doubt that we are going to do a 34/43 hybrid look. i don't think the "new" coach would be dumb enough to start lying already. ;) i just posted that in reference to joey porter, i didn't really pay much attention to his take on us going 43.

brat316
02-27-2007, 11:27 PM
as much as i dont want to see it happen i think that joey might get cut to save 4 mill and the steelers need all the money they can get

or

Joey Resigns a deal/redoes his contract and gets extened for 2 maybe 3 years i think porter is a player that can play olb in 3-4 or lb in pass rushing situations/ run plays in 4-3

mikehop05
02-27-2007, 11:51 PM
as much as i dont want to see it happen i think that joey might get cut to save 4 mill and the steelers need all the money they can get

or

Joey Resigns a deal/redoes his contract and gets extened for 2 maybe 3 years i think porter is a player that can play olb in 3-4 or lb in pass rushing situations/ run plays in 4-3

yeah if he restrucutres im all for him staying

terribletowel39
02-27-2007, 11:53 PM
yeah if he restrucutres im all for him staying

mike you are the devil.(your post count) and yes i agree the best thing to happen would be to pull a peyton manning and restruct his deal for the good of team.

skarocksoi
02-28-2007, 09:06 AM
Im thinking they are just going to let him ride out the last year of his contract then let him go. If he is smart, he would restructure his contract to recieve significantly less money. His production has dropped and hes only getting older, so we aren't going to give him a blockbuster contract, and I doubt anyone else would do the same in free agency. He'd have to develop some humility, but he'd have to take a serious paycut to stay with us.

Hines
02-28-2007, 09:21 AM
y dont we do the same thing that we did with aaron smith to joey. i mean honestly

steel man
02-28-2007, 09:43 AM
here is something good to read. it has a little bit of everything that we have been talking about .

http://steelers.aolsportsblog.com/category/steelers/

brat316
02-28-2007, 08:25 PM
Yeah i seriously doubt that the steelers would be using roids or doping, if they are man Rooney is well out of luck, he is one of those old guys that has influnece and to find that his team is doing something like that daman

glennjamen3
02-28-2007, 09:31 PM
does anybody know when joey porters roster bonus is due? i forget if it was march 1 or like the 3rd or something

glennjamen3
02-28-2007, 09:38 PM
ok nevermind, its due on march 6th... well it will be interesting to see if he's on the roster in a couple days

skarocksoi
03-01-2007, 10:24 AM
Hey everyone,
I started an official mock thread for us, so everyone who wants to make a mock can post it there for everyone to critque and discuss. I figured it would simplify things and prevent having 100 different mock threads in our section.

Mr. Stiller
03-01-2007, 10:35 AM
ok nevermind, its due on march 6th... well it will be interesting to see if he's on the roster in a couple days

Supposedly they're not even talking. He's due a $1 Million roster bonus and they don't want to pay him it because they're fairly certain he'll sit out of camp. They don't want to cause a problem between the new coach and old veterans.

I have a new draft out, with some offseason moves.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2067

Man_Of_Steel
03-01-2007, 02:59 PM
Youre kiddin me,

Why get rid of Morey, have you ever ever ever watched a Steelers game, hes the most consistant special teamer we have, why on earth would you get rid of what he bings to the table.

If we did draft Rice we wouldnt work him into #3 slowly! He would start there.

How is Figures a safety pick? If anything hes a real dangerous pick, a forth rounder on a guy no one heard of till he ran fast. I mean c'mon.

A punter in the 4th. Brutal

Why cut Haynes whos reliable. On top of that why pick up both Brown and Morris. Why pay more for less quality.

brat316
03-01-2007, 03:17 PM
THIS just IN PORTER IS CUT

Mr. Stiller
03-01-2007, 03:30 PM
THIS just IN PORTER IS CUT

Yep, bring on Anthony Spencer and Antwan Peek.

Mr. Stiller
03-01-2007, 03:34 PM
Youre kiddin me,

Why get rid of Morey, have you ever ever ever watched a Steelers game, hes the most consistent special teamer we have, why on earth would you get rid of what he brings to the table.

If we did draft Rice we wouldn't work him into #3 slowly! He would start there.

How is Figures a safety pick? If anything hes a real dangerous pick, a forth rounder on a guy no one heard of till he ran fast. I mean c'mon.

A punter in the 4th. Brutal

Why cut Haynes whos reliable. On top of that why pick up both Brown and Morris. Why pay more for less quality.

I'll answer this in here, as I did in the other thread.

Here we go.

1) I am a huge fan of Morey, but frankly he costs too much to be a ST player. I know he is very good at what he does. However he doesn't do anything else. Last year they did a cost vs. production and his cost was 36k per tackle.. highest on the team. Now, I love Morey, I really do. But this is also a business. Also, When you really think about it, I would say Chidi was the most consistent special teamer. We had Morey all season, but our ST coverage really revived itself when we brought Chidi back.

2) Yes we would. We'd likely start Heath Miller there and Work Rice into the #3 role. It's not always good to throw a young player in there. We did that this year and we had both Nate Washington and Santonio Holmes running the wrong routes. Use Heath Miller, and Washington, then as the season progresses (Unless Rice shows a mental capacity of being reliable early) then after the first couple of Games start him in more. Not every WR can just jump into the starting rotation. Doing that can harm the WR and other players in more than 1 way. I look long term. He'll grow better as a player being worked into the position.

3) Just because you didn't hear of Figurs till the combine is not my fault. I've been following him since the 2nd half of the season. Anyone who read my older stuff knew I was a big fan of Quinton Echols and Thomas Clayton of Kansas State, thats where I saw Figurs. I knew he had speed, but he brings a whole lot more. Still with me? He has the speed and strength to be a terrific gunner. 3 Forced fumbles on Punts that he was a gunner show that. Of course he has to add about 10-15 lbs, but still he's a good speed/power combo. 2) He's a solid KR/PR. The injury sustained to Reid was real close to that Lisenfranc ligament. Teddy Lehman and Kevin Jones can tell you how hard it is to come back from it. If Reid can't come back, then at least we have a safety net. He gives us a ST presence immediately. His upside is he could be a #4 Deep Threat. Which in all reality wouldn't be too shabby. Ward and Rice the Possession guys at #1/#3 and #2/#4 Holmes/Figurs the vertical recievers.

4) Yes a Punter in the 4th.. You know whats more brutal? Our track record on second day picks. We basically throw them away. At least with this pick, we'll have a starter for likely 10-15 years. Here's some background. Sepulveda was a walk-on LB for the Baylor squad. Moving to Punter he never had a kick blocked. In the off-season he worked with an Aussie Rules football player (Rugby). Now, in Australian Rugby, you don't just punt the ball, you have different techniques of kicking so you can manipulate the balls bounce. Sepulveda has learned those techniques. Think of it like golf. With the slices/Backspin/forespin. He learned how to make the ball bounce as he likes. Therefore, during a kick to pin the opposing team in the 20, he can make it bounce away from the goal and let the coverage team get it at the 5/10/15. Brilliant work, I'm not sure why other kickers haven't trained more in that style of Rugby.

Think How many Picks made it from last years Day 2. Jacobs, Harris, Humes,Davis. He'll make the team, instantly improve our ST, as he can kick off as well. And another thing.... He'll be cheaper.

5) I like Haynes, but he has an Injury history and Sammy Morris brings as much as Haynes, along with veteran leadership, and is less injury prone. Not to mention, Chris Brown could come cheap enough to be a solid #2, with Power ability and more speed than Tony Hunt. You're not paying more for less, your paying more for more. A powerback and veteran do-it-all back for Minimum veteran cost.

Man_Of_Steel
03-01-2007, 04:01 PM
I'll answer this in here, as I did in the other thread.

Here we go.

1) I am a huge fan of Morey, but frankly he costs too much to be a ST player. I know he is very good at what he does. However he doesn't do anything else. Last year they did a cost vs. production and his cost was 36k per tackle.. highest on the team. Now, I love Morey, I really do. But this is also a business. Also, When you really think about it, I would say Chidi was the most consistent special teamer. We had Morey all season, but our ST coverage really revived itself when we brought Chidi back.

2) Yes we would. We'd likely start Heath Miller there and Work Rice into the #3 role. It's not always good to throw a young player in there. We did that this year and we had both Nate Washington and Santonio Holmes running the wrong routes. Use Heath Miller, and Washington, then as the season progresses (Unless Rice shows a mental capacity of being reliable early) then after the first couple of Games start him in more. Not every WR can just jump into the starting rotation. Doing that can harm the WR and other players in more than 1 way. I look long term. He'll grow better as a player being worked into the position.

3) Just because you didn't hear of Figurs till the combine is not my fault. I've been following him since the 2nd half of the season. Anyone who read my older stuff knew I was a big fan of Quinton Echols and Thomas Clayton of Kansas State, thats where I saw Figurs. I knew he had speed, but he brings a whole lot more. Still with me? He has the speed and strength to be a terrific gunner. 3 Forced fumbles on Punts that he was a gunner show that. Of course he has to add about 10-15 lbs, but still he's a good speed/power combo. 2) He's a solid KR/PR. The injury sustained to Reid was real close to that Lisenfranc ligament. Teddy Lehman and Kevin Jones can tell you how hard it is to come back from it. If Reid can't come back, then at least we have a safety net. He gives us a ST presence immediately. His upside is he could be a #4 Deep Threat. Which in all reality wouldn't be too shabby. Ward and Rice the Possession guys at #1/#3 and #2/#4 Holmes/Figurs the vertical recievers.

4) Yes a Punter in the 4th.. You know whats more brutal? Our track record on second day picks. We basically throw them away. At least with this pick, we'll have a starter for likely 10-15 years. Here's some background. Sepulveda was a walk-on LB for the Baylor squad. Moving to Punter he never had a kick blocked. In the off-season he worked with an Aussie Rules football player (Rugby). Now, in Australian Rugby, you don't just punt the ball, you have different techniques of kicking so you can manipulate the balls bounce. Sepulveda has learned those techniques. Think of it like golf. With the slices/Backspin/forespin. He learned how to make the ball bounce as he likes. Therefore, during a kick to pin the opposing team in the 20, he can make it bounce away from the goal and let the coverage team get it at the 5/10/15. Brilliant work, I'm not sure why other kickers haven't trained more in that style of Rugby.

Think How many Picks made it from last years Day 2. Jacobs, Harris, Humes,Davis. He'll make the team, instantly improve our ST, as he can kick off as well. And another thing.... He'll be cheaper.

5) I like Haynes, but he has an Injury history and Sammy Morris brings as much as Haynes, along with veteran leadership, and is less injury prone. Not to mention, Chris Brown could come cheap enough to be a solid #2, with Power ability and more speed than Tony Hunt. You're not paying more for less, your paying more for more. A powerback and veteran do-it-all back for Minimum veteran cost.

2) In what way would that be harmful if he started as a 3rd. How on earth is that detremental to him.

5) I would much rather have Haynes than those 2.

No need to get chirpy dude, chill.

Mr. Stiller
03-01-2007, 04:10 PM
2) In what way would that be harmful if he started as a 3rd. How on earth is that detremental to him.

5) I would much rather have Haynes than those 2.

No need to get chirpy dude, chill.

I wasn't getting chirpy. You questioned my moves and I backed them up with valid points and evidence. No chirping, just a relation of details from one member to another :).

1) Could pose detrimental to Rice. If he starts at #3, then screws up a bunch and rides the pine, there goes his confidence. Slowly working him into the starting lineup is a much safer approach. Don't worry, I'm not saying don't play him in the first games, just don't relegate him the position immediately. I figure by the 3rd/4th game of the season he'll be in full time.

2) Haynes has been cut. I'm not going to say I told you so, I just wish people didn't question me so much. I know you'd rather have haynes. Morris has better production, plus he's a solid special teams contributor. One season after he's on Pittsburgh you'd be singing a different tune, trust me.

Smooth Criminal
03-01-2007, 04:11 PM
I'm going neither. PFT says Najeh will be signed back shortly.

Mr. Stiller
03-01-2007, 04:14 PM
I'm going neither. PFT says Najeh will be signed back shortly.

We still need another Rb. As much as I'd like Hunt, PFT isn't exactly the staple of reliability, but I think Sammy Morris brings more than Najeh as well. Morris is a much better team contributor and not nearly as injury prone.

Antwan Peek... Former Cincy DE, comes back with one of his former coaches.

Smooth Criminal
03-01-2007, 04:17 PM
I like Morris alot actually. I'm not a huge Najeh fan either. I'd like to see us get Duckett aswell because I like him as our #2.

mikehop05
03-01-2007, 04:40 PM
nah man

forget najeh, morris, duckett

lets give john kuhn some more carries!!!!

;)

i.want.troys.hair
03-01-2007, 04:42 PM
Do you all think that anybody will pick up Starks? It would be pretty great to pick up an extra first round for him, especially since I feel that his play has really been lacking.

Mr. Stiller
03-01-2007, 04:43 PM
I like Morris alot actually. I'm not a huge Najeh fan either. I'd like to see us get Duckett aswell because I like him as our #2.

Actually Najeh runs with more power than Duckett.

I'd like Morris and Najeh. Makes drafting a Runningback a non-issue, then we can get Jon Stewart next year.

Mr. Stiller
03-01-2007, 04:45 PM
Do you all think that anybody will pick up Starks? It would be pretty great to pick up an extra first round for him, especially since I feel that his play has really been lacking.

Eh, I don't see it unless someone is desperate, however, this way we can negotiate him to another team on our terms. They can't sidetrack us and sign him. You could end up seeing a Starks to Zona for a guy Like Karlos Dansby. Who knows.

terribletowel39
03-01-2007, 04:47 PM
Eh, I don't see it unless someone is desperate, however, this way we can negotiate him to another team on our terms. They can't sidetrack us and sign him. You could end up seeing a Starks to Zona for a guy Like Karlos Dansby. Who knows.

i was just about to say zona especially with Grimm there. that would def work out in our favor.

Mr. Stiller
03-01-2007, 04:59 PM
i was just about to say zona especially with Grimm there. that would def work out in our favor.

I would take Zona's 2nd.

We could do a world of things then. Because frankly.. Anthony Spencer, Jarvis Moss or Charles Johnson would likely fall there (One of the 3). Meaning we don't have to trade from 1.15, hence going BPA.

This is the nice thing about this draft. at DL/LB, we can draft purely by BPA and see what we have going. Then afterwards decide if we'll do the Tomlin2 or Lebeau 34.

With Zona...

1) Alan Branch(Joe Green?), Gaines Adams, Jamaal Anderson..

Hell with that extra firepower we could even trade up.

Man_Of_Steel
03-01-2007, 05:01 PM
How great would it be to get Dansby, hes so underated.

Mr. Stiller
03-01-2007, 05:08 PM
How great would it be to get Dansby, hes so underated.

Exactly ;)

brat316
03-01-2007, 05:21 PM
yeah that is probably why they are not going to trade him for starks, i think maybe third is possible, if tender we could get a third is possible also

terribletowel39
03-01-2007, 05:26 PM
i don't know what we can get for him, he is a reliable starter and started on a superbowl team so somebody is going to want him, whether it be zona or another team. i like the odds of getting a 2nd for him though.

by the way stiller....congrats on breaking 2000 post.

Mr. Stiller
03-01-2007, 05:51 PM
i don't know what we can get for him, he is a reliable starter and started on a superbowl team so somebody is going to want him, whether it be zona or another team. i like the odds of getting a 2nd for him though.

by the way stiller....congrats on breaking 2000 post.

WTF... Holy crap, why thank you. I didn't realize.

I wouldn't doubt we could very well get a 2nd rounder for Starks.

Superbowl experience, massive size, with the lack Of FA options (Starks is likely the #2/#3 overall OT in FA) and the lack of Top Tier Draft options, who knows a late 1st-mid 2nd isn't out of the question.. unlikely, but possible.

mikehop05
03-01-2007, 06:00 PM
didnt we tender starks for a first rounder??

skarocksoi
03-01-2007, 06:07 PM
It says on the Steelers website we offered tender to St. Pierre!?! Why on earth did we do that. We could pick up just about anybody better than him I would think.

Now that Porter is gone, does everyone think that its a foregone conclusion that we will be drafting a pass rusher in one of the first couple rounds? I'm on board the Anthony Spencer bandwagon now, but what are others opinions? Do we go draft, FA, or just use what we have and pick up some depth. If we dont get someone in the first few rounds, I hope we go after Brian Smith later on. I just have a feeling about that guy.

Mr. Stiller
03-01-2007, 06:15 PM
It says on the Steelers website we offered tender to St. Pierre!?! Why on earth did we do that. We could pick up just about anybody better than him I would think.

Now that Porter is gone, does everyone think that its a foregone conclusion that we will be drafting a pass rusher in one of the first couple rounds? I'm on board the Anthony Spencer bandwagon now, but what are others opinions? Do we go draft, FA, or just use what we have and pick up some depth. If we dont get someone in the first few rounds, I hope we go after Brian Smith later on. I just have a feeling about that guy.

I have a feeling we add a Cheap OLB FA... Banta-Cain/Peek. Both 3-4 OLB experience. Both should come cheap.

I think along with that we'll certainly add depth.

I like Spencer obviously.. adding Jacob Ford in the 7th and Go gung ho after Brian Smith in UDFA. I agree about him. I just think why use a pick on him when we can get him in UDFA.

Mr. Stiller
03-01-2007, 06:15 PM
didnt we tender starks for a first rounder??

Yes we did.

steel man
03-01-2007, 09:16 PM
Fred Smoot was released today, do you guys think that Mike Tomlin will try to bring him to Pittsburgh. if so will that sure up our secondary?

Mr. Stiller
03-01-2007, 09:17 PM
Fred Smoot was released today, do you guys think that Mike Tomlin will try to bring him to Pittsburgh. if so will that sure up our secondary?

Nah, Tomlin is a blue Collar guy. With the resignation of Perry, I'm thinking Tomlin is blaming Coaching more than talent level for the downplay of the secondary. Frankly I don't think Smoot would be anymore than a Nickel.

Although I wouldn't be upset with Napoleon Harris coming over.. cheap.

Here Is a priceless picture if I ever saw one...

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/ww/news/2007/03/01/peterson-full.jpg

brat316
03-01-2007, 10:13 PM
There are quite a few taclkes actually Zona's T, Cincy's and one more team all three of those guys are pretty good expensive but good, i guess if we tender off starks for a 2nd it would make sence not a 1st

Yeah we could get a better back up then St. P

Lb that i like is Lawernce Timmons in the second, he does not have great timed speed, but in the game tape and in games he looks like he is flying, in the first i still think we should not trade down if carikker falls to us, he would be a perfect fit for a hybrid D, plays end in both formations and DT in 4-3

I guess we'll see how good James Harrison really is

Mr. Stiller
03-01-2007, 10:36 PM
There are quite a few taclkes actually Zona's T, Cincy's and one more team all three of those guys are pretty good expensive but good, i guess if we tender off starks for a 2nd it would make sence not a 1st

Yeah we could get a better back up then St. P

Lb that i like is Lawernce Timmons in the second, he does not have great timed speed, but in the game tape and in games he looks like he is flying, in the first i still think we should not trade down if carikker falls to us, he would be a perfect fit for a hybrid D, plays end in both formations and DT in 4-3

I guess we'll see how good James Harrison really is

You're right in Carriker could play end in both formations and DT in a 4-3. But so could smith. Smith is a good player, why not just draft a penetrating DT or a pass rushing DE/OLB. Carriker would rarely see the field. he's not a good pass rusher so we'd basically only have Keisel as a passrushing presence on the Dline.

We're better off going for a trade down or if Gaines Adams falls, or BPA on offense because Carriker isn't going to help us. Especially since we signed Smith to a 5 year deal. Carriker would never see the field.

Smooth Criminal
03-01-2007, 10:50 PM
Nah, Tomlin is a blue Collar guy. With the resignation of Perry, I'm thinking Tomlin is blaming Coaching more than talent level for the downplay of the secondary. Frankly I don't think Smoot would be anymore than a Nickel.

Although I wouldn't be upset with Napoleon Harris coming over.. cheap.

Here Is a priceless picture if I ever saw one...

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/ww/news/2007/03/01/peterson-full.jpg

Harris is in talks with KC.

EJ Henderson is rumored to be a target though.

CDub
03-02-2007, 01:07 AM
Normaly I hate Ron Cook, but I think he got this one right:

http://pittsburghpost-gazette.com/pg/07061/766257-87.stm

slurve
03-02-2007, 09:27 AM
EJ Henderson is not a free agent, he was extended back in December for soemthign like 5yr/25 mill.

terribletowel39
03-02-2007, 09:37 AM
Normaly I hate Ron Cook, but I think he got this one right:

http://pittsburghpost-gazette.com/pg/07061/766257-87.stm

great read. i got chills when i was reading the part about him holding back teammates. touching stuff. (sob sob)

skarocksoi
03-02-2007, 10:24 AM
I agree with the move of cutting porter as it was something that needed to be done to help the team. I do have a soft spot for Porter though and I always enjoyed his antics off the field. Ill miss him. If he had performed better this past year maybe we would have given him the contract. Oh well. My worry is about the emotional inspiration he provided to the defense. We're going to need someone to step up and take over in that aspect.

terribletowel39
03-02-2007, 10:34 AM
I agree with the move of cutting porter as it was something that needed to be done to help the team. I do have a soft spot for Porter though and I always enjoyed his antics off the field. Ill miss him. If he had performed better this past year maybe we would have given him the contract. Oh well. My worry is about the emotional inspiration he provided to the defense. We're going to need someone to step up and take over in that aspect.

can not be more true. the energy he brought to our team and even the other team was/is better than anybody else in the NFL right now. i'll miss him like crazy. one of my buddies even went as far to say he is not buying madden 2008 b/c he doesn't want to line up the steelers D with porter not being there. haha i won't go that far, but it will be a sad day when i first see him in another camp or in another uniform and not in ours. but it had to be done and i try not to ever argue with anything the front office decides. they rarely make a bad decision.

EDIT: PS. check out how cool this is. the last m1nute is the good part.
http://www.clipstr.com/videos/BeerLaunchingFridge/

terribletowel39
03-02-2007, 11:39 AM
also here is a tribute to j-peezy. for all of you steeler fans that do like him and will miss him.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07061/766338-66.stm

mikehop05
03-02-2007, 12:38 PM
also here is a tribute to j-peezy. for all of you steeler fans that do like him and will miss him.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07061/766338-66.stm

yea i saw this, it kinda just makes you go... *sighhhh*

terribletowel39
03-02-2007, 12:41 PM
yea i saw this, it kinda just makes you go... *sighhhh*

def dude i almost turned off the commentary cuz i wanted to start crying and i am up here at work. haha

*rips out chest hair*

mikehop05
03-02-2007, 01:27 PM
def dude i almost turned off the commentary cuz i wanted to start crying and i am up here at work. haha

*rips out chest hair*

hahah he will def be missed

Mr. Stiller
03-02-2007, 03:03 PM
can not be more true. the energy he brought to our team and even the other team was/is better than anybody else in the NFL right now. i'll miss him like crazy. one of my buddies even went as far to say he is not buying madden 2008 b/c he doesn't want to line up the steelers D with porter not being there. haha i won't go that far, but it will be a sad day when i first see him in another camp or in another uniform and not in ours. but it had to be done and i try not to ever argue with anything the front office decides. they rarely make a bad decision.

EDIT: PS. check out how cool this is. the last m1nute is the good part.
http://www.clipstr.com/videos/BeerLaunchingFridge/

Do you guys Remember Jason Gildon? We hung on to his lack of production so long that when we finally cut him... He couldn't even pass a physical for the Buffalo Bills.. A team that was weak at OLB .. I mean It hurts sometimes, but it has to be done. This will allow us to sign a solid OLB, Sign Troy/Faneca. I mean, It was a tough choice, but it needed to be made.

I am disappointed we didn't get anything for him.

CDub
03-02-2007, 03:14 PM
Do you guys Remember Jason Gildon? We hung on to his lack of production so long that when we finally cut him... He couldn't even pass a physical for the Buffalo Bills.. A team that was weak at OLB .. I mean It hurts sometimes, but it has to be done. This will allow us to sign a solid OLB, Sign Troy/Faneca. I mean, It was a tough choice, but it needed to be made.

I am disappointed we didn't get anything for him.

I read somewhere that the team officials were quoted as saying that they wanted to let Joey decide on where he would play next instead of sending him somewhere, but that was after they shopped him around for a trade so read want you want into that.

I know I've said it a hundred times before, but, I still fell bad that the guy got shot just as he was reaching the peak of his career.

He will be missed but the team made the right move.

mikehop05
03-03-2007, 02:57 PM
sammy morris signed with the pats

sorry stiller your boy wont be in black and gold

brat316
03-03-2007, 08:33 PM
Najah Is back 2 years 2 million, so i think we are going to look in the draft for somone, maybe a rb/fb type i dont think Dan Krider out current Fb is going to be resigned

When are we going to resign Troy P.? hopefully we keep him, though he was drafted to fit our 3-4 system, I think he could play any system

mikehop05
03-04-2007, 03:56 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/dailycourier/socialcolumn/s_496042.html

good article on ben here

terribletowel39
03-04-2007, 05:52 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/dailycourier/socialcolumn/s_496042.html

good article on ben here

good read my friend. hope he comes out firing this season. i know i'm excited.

skarocksoi
03-04-2007, 06:26 PM
I'm excited to see what Ben can do with Arians as the OC and Holmes getting worked into the mix. Hopefully we can have a good passing game to take the pressure off the running game.

I saw something on cold pizza a while ago and they were talking about how Arians is going to use Miller more, much to my delight. He's a great recieving tight end and I wish we would have used him a lot more last year to take some of the pressure off our recievers and give Ben some quick checkdowns to make when he was feeling pressure. You would have thought Whis would have used him better seeing as how he was the former TE coach.

mikehop05
03-04-2007, 06:45 PM
I'm excited to see what Ben can do with Arians as the OC and Holmes getting worked into the mix. Hopefully we can have a good passing game to take the pressure off the running game.

I saw something on cold pizza a while ago and they were talking about how Arians is going to use Miller more, much to my delight. He's a great recieving tight end and I wish we would have used him a lot more last year to take some of the pressure off our recievers and give Ben some quick checkdowns to make when he was feeling pressure. You would have thought Whis would have used him better seeing as how he was the former TE coach.

yeah i know i was disapointed that we didnt use him effectively...

after the miami game i thought for sure he was gonna have a big year but he kinda faded away

steel man
03-05-2007, 12:54 AM
here is the early odds that i found on a web page.

Serious students of Steelers football already know the team will stick with its 3-4 base defense, so our odds reflect that interest. Here are our first-round odds as we begin our 2007 draft series:

* At 25-1, Auburn guard Ben Grubbs.

* At 20-1, Cal running back Marshawn Lynch.

* At 15-1, LSU receiver, Dwayne Bowe.

* At 12-1, cornerbacks Leon Hall and Darrelle Revis.

* At 10-1, linebackers Lawrence Timmons and Patrick Willis.

Now, the 3-4 defenders:

* Aaron Smith clone Adam Carriker is 6-1.

* Florida pass-rusher Jarvis Moss is 5-1.

* And Purdue tweener Anthony Spencer is our early morning favorite at 4-1.

mikehop05
03-05-2007, 01:37 AM
thats kinda cool that they have that

i wanna take a flyer on an outside pick like gaines adams or levi brown or something, in case we trade up

or back and grab kalil or joe staley

brat316
03-05-2007, 01:51 AM
i think we can get Timmions in the second his stock fell because of his bad 40 but its games speed, and he flys in the games

steel man
03-05-2007, 11:18 AM
would Auburn guard - Ben Grubbs be a good pick in the 2nd rd or would USC Center - Kalil be a better pick. i like Kalil a lot but WVU's C - Dan Mozes i like just as good and we could get him in a later round.

Man_Of_Steel
03-05-2007, 08:01 PM
Immlovin that Timmons is fallen to round 2

terribletowel39
03-05-2007, 08:06 PM
yea how nice it would be but timmons still hasn't dropped to the second and if he does you can fly down to texas and whip my ass. and screw seperate threads, i don't feel like getting out of this one to see if there is a topic for it. where do yall think porter will end up??

Man_Of_Steel
03-05-2007, 10:12 PM
yea how nice it would be but timmons still hasn't dropped to the second and if he does you can fly down to texas and whip my ass. and screw seperate threads, i don't feel like getting out of this one to see if there is a topic for it. where do yall think porter will end up??

I agree with you 100% on the threads.

I know SF is the front runner but i can really see him staying in the afc north with either Cin or Cle. Zona perhaps. But i have a funny feelin bout Cin or Cle.

Mr. Stiller
03-06-2007, 12:40 AM

I bet $100 Whis would've loved to have Heath as a pass catcher. But some tackle named Starks really prevented that. Heath had to play Extra RT during games for the most part because Starks couldn't block anyone. Did you notice the last two games of the season (Well mostly the last one) Heath was out in formation running routes more? Shows they were confident in Colon's ability to block.

Arians is basically going to the Indy Offense. He was Mannings QB Coach. 3-4 Wide Base Set with more rushing plays and 2-TE 3rd down passing Plays (Which is why I wouldn't be surprised for a trade down and a Greg Olsen or Zach Miller pickup. Imagine Miller and one of those 2).

3-4 WR Set on first down, but not shotgun style like 3rd down. He'll actually run out of that formation. I love the idea, and I'm kind of disappointed that Whis/Cowher wouldn't implement it. Spreading the defense out and Letting Parker run allowing him more opportunities to not just break the play outside but to make a play on the thin defensive interior.

Now, Tomlin is a "We Run and Stop the Run" Coach. Fine, but the fact he's letting Arians Go to the Indy style offense tells me he's putting our best players in the best situation to succeed. And thats something Cowher wouldn't do.

With Tomlin and LeBeau, We could run any variation of any defense. But the first thing Tomlin says is "Elite players defy Scheme". He's saying he'll run whatever scheme is effective and most suited for the players we have.

Lets See:

Cowhers Theory:

We'll draft players that fit our scheme and try to work them in.

Ok, draft Player X and stuff him into your defense, hoping he fits as proposed.

Tomlins Theory:

We'll draft players and design the scheme to take advantage of their abilities.

OK, draft Player X, look at the team as a Whole and design schemes, coverages and what not taking advantage of said players Pros and trying to effectively negate their Cons.

Anyone else see why this guy is excited about our teams future?

Mr. Stiller
03-06-2007, 12:44 AM

Timmons is looked upon as a fringe 1st, more likely 2nd rounder.

He's very raw, but he was supposed to be drafted on his athletic ability alone. When there's guys 50lbs heavier running 1/100th of a second slower, and guys 20-30lbs heavier running 3-5/100th of a seconds faster, what exactly are you going to tell scouts is the reason to draft you? I'm very athletic. Eh, there's better athletes.. We need a solid player.. Well I'm Raw... NEXT!.

Not to mention Timmons has the Dark Cloud of FSU OLB Failures hanging over his head.

Porters frontrunner is Cincinatti. A team decimated by off field incidents and injuries. Plus reunited with Marv Lewis (Who is looking at a player from Florida rd 1... I can't say who, I promised a scout.).

SF and NYJ are behind cincy.

But don't count out pittsburgh yet, I don't doubt they're checking on the status of Ex-star LB.

mikehop05
03-06-2007, 12:51 AM
I bet $100 Whis would've loved to have Heath as a pass catcher. But some tackle named Starks really prevented that. Heath had to play Extra RT during games for the most part because Starks couldn't block anyone. Did you notice the last two games of the season (Well mostly the last one) Heath was out in formation running routes more? Shows they were confident in Colon's ability to block.

Arians is basically going to the Indy Offense. He was Mannings QB Coach. 3-4 Wide Base Set with more rushing plays and 2-TE 3rd down passing Plays (Which is why I wouldn't be surprised for a trade down and a Greg Olsen or Zach Miller pickup. Imagine Miller and one of those 2).

3-4 WR Set on first down, but not shotgun style like 3rd down. He'll actually run out of that formation. I love the idea, and I'm kind of disappointed that Whis/Cowher wouldn't implement it. Spreading the defense out and Letting Parker run allowing him more opportunities to not just break the play outside but to make a play on the thin defensive interior.

Now, Tomlin is a "We Run and Stop the Run" Coach. Fine, but the fact he's letting Arians Go to the Indy style offense tells me he's putting our best players in the best situation to succeed. And thats something Cowher wouldn't do.

With Tomlin and LeBeau, We could run any variation of any defense. But the first thing Tomlin says is "Elite players defy Scheme". He's saying he'll run whatever scheme is effective and most suited for the players we have.

Lets See:

Cowhers Theory:

We'll draft players that fit our scheme and try to work them in.

Ok, draft Player X and stuff him into your defense, hoping he fits as proposed.

Tomlins Theory:

We'll draft players and design the scheme to take advantage of their abilities.

OK, draft Player X, look at the team as a Whole and design schemes, coverages and what not taking advantage of said players Pros and trying to effectively negate their Cons.

Anyone else see why this guy is excited about our teams future?

it sounds great on paper and honestly i love the idea of the offense spreading out some and the defense being dictated by the players ability, but until i see it working i wont get my hopes up -- not saying it cant becuase i really think it will, but a lot of things have to fall into place

Mr. Stiller
03-06-2007, 12:54 AM
would Auburn guard - Ben Grubbs be a good pick in the 2nd rd or would USC Center - Kalil be a better pick. i like Kalil a lot but WVU's C - Dan Mozes i like just as good and we could get him in a later round.

Preferably? Neither. I see Grubbs as a slower Kendall Simmons. Pass... Kalil is going to get pushed around more than Hartings was by the AFC NT's.

Lets try the Centers we have first. We can always make it a priority next year. He'll the only 2 games Okobi played in there was barely any pressure from the middle of the line.

I'd like to mention with Okobi, we lost to Denver and Won against NO.

Willie Parker also had a 5.0 YPC average against Denver (Which we foolishly stopped using him) and 9.7 against NO. And from remembering the NO Game....he was getting the majority of Yards on one of common plays.

Center Pulls, Gaurd downblocks and center clears the path between RG and RT... Parker rode that play for a 76 yard rush and a 52 yarder i believe. Managed 213 yards...

Ironic the only major change between the Denver game, NO game and the rest of the season where Parker got nearly no blocking... was Okobi..Coincidence? Lets find out.

And for what it's worth.. Willie only had over 5.0 ypc average in 3 other games (Other than Denver & NO)... against Cleveland when he set the record for most yards by a Steeler RB... Against KC when we blew them out 45-7 and against North Carolina(The game that Max Starks miraculously managed to stop Julius Peppers by himself.).

So.. Lets see what we have. I think a guy like James Marten should be a 2nd round choice. Played OG/OT for a school that's renown for offensive lineman.

mikehop05
03-06-2007, 12:58 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07065/767144-66.stm

we are looking at TBC and Andy Lee (p, SF)

Mr. Stiller
03-06-2007, 01:03 AM
it sounds great on paper and honestly i love the idea of the offense spreading out some and the defense being dictated by the players ability, but until i see it working i wont get my hopes up -- not saying it cant becuase i really think it will, but a lot of things have to fall into place

I agree, Test the theory before coming to conclusions.

But I will say this.

Hines and Ben have been working during the offseason. Arians got Ben a rough draft of the Playbook. Arians/Ben talk an hour a day on the plays.

Tomlin, Arians, Hines gave Ben a kick in the ass, but also said, Be yourself, you don't have to win the games yourself, thats why there's 10 other guys.

I think with a Player like Willie Parker, running him in a Power Rushing Offense (our old scheme) is just wasting his talents. You need to let him get the ball and have space. He's a Shifty fast guy thats getting stronger every season(I still remember him running over Zach Thomas and Running Through Willie McGinnest.. .Classic).

I think we could be worse off at WR, I'll admit I don't liek Wilson, but it's because he's making a ridiculous amount to be nothing but a 3rd Wr. Now he's shown he can do the Randel El plays (By nearly Impaling I believe it was Ward). And Washington/Reid/Rookie can fight for the 4th WR spot.

Some things will have to fall in place, but if it works. We could very well be pushing for a playoff spot.

We're trying something different on offense. Our defense, Baltimores defense are geared towards stopping the run and pass rushing. Well what if we keep them off gaurd? Adalius Left the division, and Cleveland is the same... Cincy will likely be signing scab players because their cap only covers so much bail money.

We have a great possession WR, a Threat WR (Not necesarily a deep threat. Holmes is fast, but not elite deep threat fast. He's also a great route runner who really came on at the end of the season. What I mean by Threat receiver. Is any pass could be a touchdown to him. Throw him the ball and he's great at making plays). Wilson starts holding on to the ball (Although 1 great play he made catching the ball was reversed by a bonehead ref(OAKland)...) so Those 3 show up. Along with Ben playing relaxed Big Ben football, and Willie getting some opportunities of running at spread out defenses. Could give us an edge.

I'm not going to say what I think about this season because I can't know. But Don't be surprised it Ben starts his campaign at being a Top 3 QB before the next 2 seasons is over.

I think he can be better than Palmer, I think he's head and shoulders above Rivers/Eli. I mean, How can you have LT, Gates, and the Chargers Defense and realistically not win the superbowl?

Bens going to be really good real soon.

Mr. Stiller
03-06-2007, 01:05 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07065/767144-66.stm

we are looking at TBC and Andy Lee (p, SF)

I don't mind TBC as a short term depth fix (Give us a 3-4 OLB with starter experience). But I do Mind the Andy Lee idea.

Instead of using a 6th on a punter from SF.. Why not just draft the best Punter in this draft. Sepulveda is way above Lee and he's got more exciting abilities.

His Rugby techniques. Mixed with his speed and Linebacker frame/background.. I just don't get it.

mikehop05
03-06-2007, 01:13 AM
I agree, Test the theory before coming to conclusions.

But I will say this.

Hines and Ben have been working during the offseason. Arians got Ben a rough draft of the Playbook. Arians/Ben talk an hour a day on the plays.

Tomlin, Arians, Hines gave Ben a kick in the ass, but also said, Be yourself, you don't have to win the games yourself, thats why there's 10 other guys.

I think with a Player like Willie Parker, running him in a Power Rushing Offense (our old scheme) is just wasting his talents. You need to let him get the ball and have space. He's a Shifty fast guy thats getting stronger every season(I still remember him running over Zach Thomas and Running Through Willie McGinnest.. .Classic).

I think we could be worse off at WR, I'll admit I don't liek Wilson, but it's because he's making a ridiculous amount to be nothing but a 3rd Wr. Now he's shown he can do the Randel El plays (By nearly Impaling I believe it was Ward). And Washington/Reid/Rookie can fight for the 4th WR spot.

Some things will have to fall in place, but if it works. We could very well be pushing for a playoff spot.

We're trying something different on offense. Our defense, Baltimores defense are geared towards stopping the run and pass rushing. Well what if we keep them off gaurd? Adalius Left the division, and Cleveland is the same... Cincy will likely be signing scab players because their cap only covers so much bail money.

We have a great possession WR, a Threat WR (Not necesarily a deep threat. Holmes is fast, but not elite deep threat fast. He's also a great route runner who really came on at the end of the season. What I mean by Threat receiver. Is any pass could be a touchdown to him. Throw him the ball and he's great at making plays). Wilson starts holding on to the ball (Although 1 great play he made catching the ball was reversed by a bonehead ref(OAKland)...) so Those 3 show up. Along with Ben playing relaxed Big Ben football, and Willie getting some opportunities of running at spread out defenses. Could give us an edge.

I'm not going to say what I think about this season because I can't know. But Don't be surprised it Ben starts his campaign at being a Top 3 QB before the next 2 seasons is over.

I think he can be better than Palmer, I think he's head and shoulders above Rivers/Eli. I mean, How can you have LT, Gates, and the Chargers Defense and realistically not win the superbowl?

Bens going to be really good real soon.

yeah we definetly have the pieces of the puzzle

we just have to make sure they come together...

i too have heard ben has been doing a lot this off season... i posted an article from either PPG or PTR about ben starting his workouts earlier this year and talking with arians on the play book, so yeah i am really hopeing he returns to form

honestly sucking so bad last year may have been a blessing for him, may be just what he needed to get remotivated

diabsoule
03-06-2007, 01:34 AM
Steelers | Banta-Cain will visit team Tuesday
Mon, 5 Mar 2007 20:36:01 -0800

Mike Reiss, of the Boston Globe, reports free agent LB Tully Banta-Cain (Patriots) will visit with the Pittsburgh Steelers Tuesday, March 6.

Mr. Stiller
03-06-2007, 02:19 AM
yeah we definetly have the pieces of the puzzle

we just have to make sure they come together...

i too have heard ben has been doing a lot this off season... i posted an article from either PPG or PTR about ben starting his workouts earlier this year and talking with arians on the play book, so yeah i am really hopeing he returns to form

honestly sucking so bad last year may have been a blessing for him, may be just what he needed to get remotivated

Well it's just like with Kids.. Spoil them all their lives and they'll expect everything handed to them.. until you boot them in the ass and real life comes.

I think what Put the "!" On ben being motivated this offseason was the Ravens game. I blame the coaches for not picking up the blitzes, but thats what this season may have been about. They pushed ben to get his ass whupped and look like **** and say "See, if you make smarter decisions, work harder and be yourself, you could go back to seasons 1/2"

2 Problems i have about Steelers QBs:

1) Game Manager. Ben gets Criticized, Peyton wins the SB and he gets a slap on the back saying "Peyton not only learned not to try and win the game on his own, but be an effective Game Manager"... WTF? NO, IT"S A BAD THING.. Oh wait, thats only for PITT QB's.

2) Mental capability - A Pittsburgh QB has a bad season, he's dumb. Starting back from the Bradshaw days. Everyones mentality of Pittsburgh Qb's are.. They're dumb. If they win, their Awesome, but lose, they're dumb. Looks like in 2-3 years we'll have to sign Ryan Fitzpatrick so that way we can say "Pitt QB's aren't dumb, we have a guy from Harvard!"

It's stupid really.

Mr. Stiller
03-06-2007, 02:20 AM

Mike Reiss, of the Boston Globe, reports free agent LB Tully Banta-Cain (Patriots) will visit with the Pittsburgh Steelers Tuesday, March 6.

$15/Game... take it or leave.

skarocksoi
03-06-2007, 08:42 AM

I wouldnt be suprised to see him walk away with a contract in hand.

steel man
03-06-2007, 09:47 AM
on ESPN just now they said Porter will sign with Miami 5 years/ $32 mil, $20 mil gar. at least it will not be in the AFC North where we would have faced him 2 times every year.

steel man
03-06-2007, 09:50 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2789401&name=FPT-2789401-030611&srvc=sz

he is a link.

Mr. Stiller
03-06-2007, 12:11 PM
I wouldnt be suprised to see him walk away with a contract in hand.

I don't know. I don't think he's going to even be the starter if he comes here.

terribletowel39
03-06-2007, 12:37 PM
i don't think he will be the starter if he gets picked up. i think for this season we still have a great linebacking corp. play wise i don't think we lost much if any from switching from porter to harrison. from what little harrison has played, he has made the most of it and seems like he is going to be a beast. and we still have the rest of our starters. i am happy that we haven't made any moved in the FA, when usually don't and so that shows me that we are sticking with old philosophies. build a team through the draft. i fully expect us to sign somebody and maybe it will be BC, just because we always sign onFA so i am not concerned, i am just pumped for this season to get here. gosh. oh yea is anyone pumped for the burgh/fins game?? does anyone think he will talk trash to us?? he might be a little disgruntled by the FO but not his former players. he is just a steelers player in a dolphins uniform anyway, should be fun to watch what happens if he gets big ben on the ground. :D

mikehop05
03-06-2007, 01:13 PM
i don't think he will be the starter if he gets picked up. i think for this season we still have a great linebacking corp. play wise i don't think we lost much if any from switching from porter to harrison. from what little harrison has played, he has made the most of it and seems like he is going to be a beast. and we still have the rest of our starters. i am happy that we haven't made any moved in the FA, when usually don't and so that shows me that we are sticking with old philosophies. build a team through the draft. i fully expect us to sign somebody and maybe it will be BC, just because we always sign onFA so i am not concerned, i am just pumped for this season to get here. gosh. oh yea is anyone pumped for the burgh/fins game?? does anyone think he will talk trash to us?? he might be a little disgruntled by the FO but not his former players. he is just a steelers player in a dolphins uniform anyway, should be fun to watch what happens if he gets big ben on the ground. :D

i wanna see us toss left and see hines ward come crackback on joey and knock his ass on the ground

Man_Of_Steel
03-06-2007, 02:13 PM
Im really not likin the interest in Tbc. Hes not even a short term fix.

Man_Of_Steel
03-06-2007, 02:23 PM
nvm, he signed with the niners

Man_Of_Steel
03-06-2007, 02:24 PM
Theres been talk of McGahee getting traded to Baltimore, any thoughts on facing him twice a year.

terribletowel39
03-06-2007, 02:30 PM
Theres been talk of McGahee getting traded to Baltimore, any thoughts on facing him twice a year.

easy smeasy. we haven't allowed an 100 yrd rusher in almost 2 yrs now. and we have faced the likes of LT alexander LJ and more. he is nothing compared to those backs. not worried at all if he does go. the only thing i am worried about is if the browns take CJ. let them take AD, we can handle him, its CJ i am worried about. we will not be able to stop him. just my thoughts though.

Man_Of_Steel
03-06-2007, 03:33 PM
Yea, Im really hopin Tomlin has some better schemes to stop not just 85 but the trio they through out there.

terribletowel39
03-06-2007, 03:43 PM
Yea, Im really hopin Tomlin has some better schemes to stop not just 85 but the trio they through out there.

well hopefully just duo, cuz as a steeler fan and just a normal guy, i believe that chris henry shouldn't be in the league anymore and if that doesn't happen i hope lewis is smart enough to drop him from the team. the guy just is a Grade A F up. gets paid millions to do what he is believed to love to do and does stupid **** like that. so that would be good for steeler fans if he is gone.

P.S. did you hear they are making a sitcom based on those GEICO commercials??

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117960384.html?categoryid=14&cs=1&nid=2562

Man_Of_Steel
03-06-2007, 03:49 PM
well hopefully just duo, cuz as a steeler fan and just a normal guy, i believe that chris henry shouldn't be in the league anymore and if that doesn't happen i hope lewis is smart enough to drop him from the team. the guy just is a Grade A F up. gets paid millions to do what he is believed to love to do and does stupid **** like that. so that would be good for steeler fans if he is gone.

P.S. did you hear they are making a sitcom based on those GEICO commercials??

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117960384.html?categoryid=14&cs=1&nid=2562

HAHA yes, I love those commercials, nice find, rep to you for that.

terribletowel39
03-06-2007, 03:51 PM
HAHA yes, I love those commercials, nice find, rep to you for that.

thank you sir.

Man_Of_Steel
03-06-2007, 04:25 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07065/767285-100.stm
The niners have 7 days to match the offer or they get a sixth rounder. Is this our future punter.
Andy Lee

terribletowel39
03-06-2007, 04:35 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07065/767285-100.stm
The niners have 7 days to match the offer or they get a sixth rounder. Is this our future punter.
Andy Lee

oh jesus i hope not. that is barely better than gardocki. i will sob.

brat316
03-06-2007, 04:43 PM
oh man no i would rather have Dirk Johnson from the eagles i think they are going to let him go and becuase they have some guy name rocca

mikehop05
03-06-2007, 06:37 PM
he is the 6th best punter in the leauge, average / kick

brat316
03-06-2007, 08:47 PM
who Andy Lee or Johnson

Mr. Stiller
03-07-2007, 12:44 AM

I think he will. He's a solid DB Coach if Tampa was any indication. And adding his ability is perfect.

LeBeau's weakness was the secondary. We constantly had high picks used for the secondary hoping to score someone that wouldn't be weak in LeBeau's Zone Blitzing Scheme. Well Ike can shut Down 85. He's not who i'm worried about. He hasn't done anything against us in a while.. It's Henry and Housh that hurt. So I think With Coke, McFadden, Ike and Tomlin's coaching.. we could have a very very solid secondary.

mikehop05
03-07-2007, 12:51 AM
who Andy Lee or Johnson

lee

heres 10 characters

terribletowel39
03-07-2007, 09:42 AM
I think he will. He's a solid DB Coach if Tampa was any indication. And adding his ability is perfect.

LeBeau's weakness was the secondary. We constantly had high picks used for the secondary hoping to score someone that wouldn't be weak in LeBeau's Zone Blitzing Scheme. Well Ike can shut Down 85. He's not who i'm worried about. He hasn't done anything against us in a while.. It's Henry and Housh that hurt. So I think With Coke, McFadden, Ike and Tomlin's coaching.. we could have a very very solid secondary.

i sure hope you are right. for our sake. i can't stand it when we give up a big play through the air. even though i would much rather it, then a long run.

mikehop05
03-07-2007, 01:51 PM
i sure hope you are right. for our sake. i can't stand it when we give up a big play through the air. even though i would much rather it, then a long run.

true.

i believe though, a lot of our pass defense has to do with the lack of a pass rush with 4 or 5 people, we shouldnt have to send 7 guys to get pressure...

if we can pressure the qb with our front 4( 4 man line in passing situations) and possibly 1 more then we will be 20x better

terribletowel39
03-07-2007, 02:14 PM
true.

i believe though, a lot of our pass defense has to do with the lack of a pass rush with 4 or 5 people, we shouldnt have to send 7 guys to get pressure...

if we can pressure the qb with our front 4( 4 man line in passing situations) and possibly 1 more then we will be 20x better

true.

we didn't have any pass rush this past yr and i honestly could not tell you why that is. i know our team did not digress that much in one season and i fully expect that problem to be fixed this next season. LeBeau is going to have to come up with some more beautiful zone blitzes. :D

mikehop05
03-07-2007, 02:54 PM
true.

we didn't have any pass rush this past yr and i honestly could not tell you why that is. i know our team did not digress that much in one season and i fully expect that problem to be fixed this next season. LeBeau is going to have to come up with some more beautiful zone blitzes. :D

that and our players have to get their heads out of their asses and play some football!

terribletowel39
03-07-2007, 04:00 PM
that and our players have to get their heads out of their asses and play some football!

yea that would probably help. heads in asses is never.....ever.....ever a good thing. :D

mikehop05
03-07-2007, 04:03 PM
yea that would probably help. heads in asses is never.....ever.....ever a good thing. :D

yeah and usually it happens after a super bowl, players knowing their coach will retire, and did i mention winning the super bowl??

hopefully an 8 - 8 season turned em around