PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Steelers Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

terribletowel39
03-08-2007, 12:41 PM
so apparently we are bring in this guy Alex Bannister from baltimore for an interview. he is 6-5 208lbs i believe. and it says that he ran a 4.48 at the combine. maybe that is going to be our big target??

DeathbyStat
03-08-2007, 02:02 PM
I'm really liking this can you dude catch, I would assume not.

terribletowel39
03-08-2007, 02:04 PM
I'm really liking this can you dude catch, I would assume not.

repeat that again. not quite sure as to what is going on in your post.

DeathbyStat
03-08-2007, 02:17 PM
repeat that again. not quite sure as to what is going on in your post.

It seems like a good idea but can the guy catch? I would assume he can't.

terribletowel39
03-08-2007, 02:29 PM
It seems like a good idea but can the guy catch? I would assume he can't.

ok yea i wouldn't know, never even heard of him but looked up some stuff. can't youtube just yet but i will when work is out. see if there is any video of this kid on-line somewhere. all his measurables look good though. i'm sure hines and our WR coach could make him catch better. and at 6-5 he wouldn't have to battle too many ppl for the jump ball.

DeathbyStat
03-08-2007, 03:09 PM
Dude has like no NFL stats...one TD

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235018

terribletowel39
03-08-2007, 03:39 PM
atleast all his catches in the 03 season were for first downs. woo hoo. nothing to go on for this guy but can't do anything but trust in that awesomely awesome front office.

Hines
03-08-2007, 03:42 PM
bannister is a special team ace ala kreiwaldt and morey. but hes better than both of them because hes been to the pro bowl

but i guess that the steelers would cut morey and wilson and get bannister and anotehr reciever in the draft

DeathbyStat
03-08-2007, 04:40 PM
thanks for the info Hines, we need all the special teams aces we can sign.

skarocksoi
03-08-2007, 04:53 PM
yeah, I miss chidi. Is he still with us or is he a free agent.

terribletowel39
03-08-2007, 05:37 PM

haha the way i read it, it sounded like he might have died. :D<--chuckling but seriously i think he is still with i think i remember reading something this past season about signing him back, it was either signing him back or releasing him. haha i know that prolly doesn't help.

mikehop05
03-08-2007, 05:38 PM

i thought we released him, i could be wrong though...

skarocksoi
03-08-2007, 05:41 PM
We released him early in the year to make room for someone, but got him back towards the end of the year. As soon as we got him back though, he got hurt and went on injured reserve. He did a great job on special teams and we really suffered without him.

brat316
03-08-2007, 06:47 PM
i just dont remeber him that much

Mr. Stiller
03-08-2007, 07:22 PM
bannister is a special team ace ala kreiwaldt and morey. but hes better than both of them because hes been to the pro bowl

but i guess that the steelers would cut morey and wilson and get bannister and anotehr reciever in the draft

6'5, very fast and a monster Gunner. They feel he's the best ST Player in the NFL and they think adding him will instantly upgrade the ST.

Worst case scenario... he ends up not only being a special teams monster, but a solid #4 WR.

terribletowel39
03-08-2007, 07:37 PM
am i correct saying we lost the battle to sign andy lee??

terribletowel39
03-08-2007, 07:38 PM
yea ok i thought i had seen it.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07067/767905-100.stm

Man_Of_Steel
03-08-2007, 10:24 PM
The search for a punter continues, what action, what drama, good thing im sitting down.

brat316
03-08-2007, 11:25 PM
adam podlesh how about that guy as a punter nice draft pick he would be

Mr. Stiller
03-09-2007, 12:10 AM
I still like Sep better lol, but supposedly we're thinking about trading for Lee.

terribletowel39
03-09-2007, 12:39 AM
I still like Sep better lol, but supposedly we're thinking about trading for Lee.

what?? he better be one hell of a punter if we are pursing him this badly. i like sep too. for this simple fact from what man of steel (i think) said. i want to see him run over a return man.

brat316
03-09-2007, 12:40 AM
wow if they werent going to give up on him and get a 6th round choice what could we possible give them, 5th or a player they do need D line and cb help still, or even WR with that said lets give wilson back to them for there punter that seems like equal value trade Ced Wilson for Andy Lee

Oh one thing Podlesh has on Sep is that he cando 325 clean and runs 4.50 or less in college he ran a 4.4, like the texans punter remeber him in the pro bowl when he was in a race against hall, Lito sheperad, he almost won

mikehop05
03-09-2007, 01:06 AM
give em ced wilson back

brat316
03-09-2007, 01:09 AM
Here here to taht give em back

mikehop05
03-09-2007, 01:19 AM
man this board really comes alive from like 12 - 3 every night hahah

buncha night owls here

brat316
03-09-2007, 01:53 AM
well its only for right now for me spring break it ends Sunday though

terribletowel39
03-09-2007, 01:38 PM
well its only for right now for me spring break it ends Sunday though

are you irish or something?? "for me spring break" that would be awesome. just curious. uhh....go steelers!!

brat316
03-09-2007, 01:57 PM
Wat!? im not irish im in college,

Man_Of_Steel
03-09-2007, 05:22 PM
My mock is up on the thread page, check it out.

terribletowel39
03-09-2007, 05:34 PM
Wat!? im not irish im in college,

no the way you said you were on spring break sounds irish. for me spring break. haha nm. be cool stay in school.

brat316
03-09-2007, 06:33 PM
i see wat u mean,
yeah be cool stay away from school and dont touch drugs, though wheeee aint drugs, we all learned that in How High

terribletowel39
03-09-2007, 06:44 PM
i see wat u mean,
yeah be cool stay away from school and dont touch drugs, though wheeee aint drugs, we all learned that in How High

amen........

steel man
03-09-2007, 09:28 PM
as far as the punter goes, what about the kid we had in camp last year from NFLE, i think it was Matt Bar(not sure on the spelling)or couid we not draft a good punter in maybe the 6th or 7th rd or get one through FA or UDFA.

Mr. Stiller
03-09-2007, 11:28 PM
as far as the punter goes, what about the kid we had in camp last year from NFLE, i think it was Matt Bar(not sure on the spelling)or couid we not draft a good punter in maybe the 6th or 7th rd or get one through FA or UDFA.

Mike Barr and he'll likely be around with a Rookie as well.

Man_Of_Steel
03-10-2007, 01:44 PM
Why not give Barr a shot

mikehop05
03-10-2007, 03:06 PM
Why not give Barr a shot

... we are, and we have before

brat316
03-12-2007, 11:42 PM
i see no one is talking about taking Moss anymore good i never liked us picking him, We should just go with a DE/DT guy Harrison looks pretty capable of playing OLB if we do draft Moss it should be in the 2nd and to play in the 4-3 and certain pass situations in 3-4

richdg
03-13-2007, 12:32 PM
This off season is getting worse and worse. First, one year removed from the SB we go out and hirte a nobody for a HC. The new HC then goes out and hires a bunch of assistants that have had little if any success as coaches. In fact, most have been coachs on really bad teams. Then we release Porter (we should have kept him for 1 more year) with no one on the roster that is able to replace him. Harrison is a good player, but he couldn't beat Porter out for the starters job, is always hurt, and is to small to play 3-4 OLB. Now, with the money freed up by cutting Porter, we sign a bad backup from a bad team. Mahan is terrible. To small, to slow, to weak. 20+ million $ for a backup? This makes more sense than resigning Faneca? A guy that goes to the Probowl every year! Faneca is only 2 years older by the way. All in all, this off season has been 1 big steaming pile of crap. I am getting very scared about the draft. Not to mention the upcoming season.

Man_Of_Steel
03-13-2007, 01:15 PM
This off season is getting worse and worse. First, one year removed from the SB we go out and hirte a nobody for a HC. The new HC then goes out and hires a bunch of assistants that have had little if any success as coaches. In fact, most have been coachs on really bad teams. Then we release Porter (we should have kept him for 1 more year) with no one on the roster that is able to replace him. Harrison is a good player, but he couldn't beat Porter out for the starters job, is always hurt, and is to small to play 3-4 OLB. Now, with the money freed up by cutting Porter, we sign a bad backup from a bad team. Mahan is terrible. To small, to slow, to weak. 20+ million $ for a backup? This makes more sense than resigning Faneca? A guy that goes to the Probowl every year! Faneca is only 2 years older by the way. All in all, this off season has been 1 big steaming pile of crap. I am getting very scared about the draft. Not to mention the upcoming season.

I agree that cutting Porter and giving the money to Mahan is horrible. I wouldnt even take Mahan on my team for sandlot foootball. However I have hope and faith that the Steelers redeem themselves in the draft. Were one of the best drafting teams in the league.

richdg
03-13-2007, 01:56 PM
The Steelers USED TO BE one of the best drafting teams. When Cowher/Colbert ran the draft. We have Tomlin/Colbert running the draft now. We have no idea how they will do. When looking at FA's, the only real dud while Cowher was there, was Staley. First thing out of the gate with Tomlin/Colbert is Mahan. I am not impressed. In fact, I am starting to think about who the next coach will be. Come 2009, who is going to be hired to replace Tomlin after he is fired. I see 2 really bad years coming up.

Man_Of_Steel
03-13-2007, 01:59 PM
Im likin Tomlin so far but there really not too much material to grade him off of right now.

richdg
03-13-2007, 02:15 PM
I don't know how Tomlin will turn out. I always hope for the best. But I don't like any of his choices for the assistant coaching positions, the new ones that is. All have long records of being on really bad teams. No history of success. Not a good group. Ariens did a terrible job with Couch, now he is going to teach Ben? This is just not looking good.

NFLBOY
03-13-2007, 03:06 PM
Agreed. I love our Steelers, but am depressed with how things are shaping up. The first move of hiring Tomlin is what scared the crap out of me. I also hope for the best, but am also looking at the next couple of years not being so great.

skarocksoi
03-13-2007, 03:24 PM
Looks like we got ourselves some negative nellies here. Here's a question. Did everybody complain this much about Ryan Clark getting signed this past year? I never heard of the guy before we picked him up in FA, and I'm betting its the same with a lot of other people here. Was everybody here worried and complaining about him too?

On the flip side, what about Staley? I remember being pretty excited about him and thinking that would be a great move, and look where that went. He had one good year and then spent the rest of his time riding the pine.

My point is we dont know whats gonna happen until it does. Everybody is just scared cause theres some big changes happenning and everybody is scared were gonna suck. There was an article exactly about this on foxsports when we first hired Tomlin saying how the city of Pittsburgh is gonna panic with all of this change. Then you have writers like Bouchette who act like their favorite teacher is gone and they can't stand the new guy so they act as depressed as possible, forever lamenting the "good ol days".

We should all be excited to see what happens. If 2 years from now we suck, then we suck and everybody can be negative all they want then. Would you rather we hired Norv Turner, or Grimm, the guy that apparently not even a team like the Raiders or the Cardinals were really that interested in? Just relax. Things will work out.

Also, don't blame all the personel decisions on Tomlin. The majority of those decisions is left up to the GM Colbert, not Tomlin. I'm betting he's got about 50% input or less on the moves that we make. Colbert has done a great job so far, so theres no need to go Chicken Little about everything this year.

Man_Of_Steel
03-13-2007, 04:09 PM
Clark wasnt signed for this much $ and he signed to be a starter. Aside from the Mahan signing which was terrible both $ and Talent wise the offseason hasnt been too bad. I love Tomlin as the head coach, though i wanted Whiz Tomlin was my second choice. I freally think the Steelers can be contenders. Im excited about what Anthony Smith will bring to the table this year.

Hines
03-13-2007, 06:17 PM
take this how u want

houston?
anderson?

6-6/284-pound Arkansas DE Jamaal Anderson ran a 4.75 and a 4.8 in the forty-yard dash at his college Pro Day on Tuesday.

Rising corner Chris Houston stood on his numbers. 100 pro personnel were on hand for this workout, including Rams coach Scott Linehan and Mike Tomlin of the Steelers. Anderson didn't work out at the Combine.
Source: nfl.com

Mr. Stiller
03-13-2007, 07:38 PM
I don't know how Tomlin will turn out. I always hope for the best. But I don't like any of his choices for the assistant coaching positions, the new ones that is. All have long records of being on really bad teams. No history of success. Not a good group. Ariens did a terrible job with Couch, now he is going to teach Ben? This is just not looking good.

I wouldn't blame Couch on Arians. However, Lets not forget that Arians did coach Manning, and that turned out pretty well.

richdg
03-13-2007, 08:05 PM
Yes, Manning turned out well. Was it Arians or the highly respected Tom Moore that did that? My point is, most of the new hires have all had long track records of losing. None of them has any history of success. Same with Tomlin. 1 year as a DC for a team that was great at stopping the run, but couldn't stop the pass.
If the posts are still there, I was not a big fan of signing Clark, and I never liked the idea of signing Staley. Everyone in the world knew he couldn't play a full season. He was hurt his last couple of years in Philly.
The real problem I have is we are overthinking what we do. Because we were able to strike gold twice, with Noll and Cowher, we are taking the risk again. WE ARE A SB TEAM!!!!! There is no reason why we should take such a risk. When we go after a FA, we spend all our time and money looking for hidden gems. Mean while our rivals go get guys like McGahee. In the last 2 years we have committed about 7 million a year to Clark and Mahan. Is there anyone that wouldn't rather have Hutchinson or McGahee? Or how about making sure Faneca, Troy, and Ben are all locked up long term? We have to be smarter. In this day and age, you can't have guys making 2-5 million on the bench or being part time depth players.

mikehop05
03-13-2007, 08:19 PM
I wouldn't want Mcgahee, hes not a need for us...

hutch maybe, but i really want to lock up troy ben and faneca like you said,

but i dont know, i liked the tomlin hiring, i called him from the beginning, i just want to see how the rest of it plays out before i say anything

brat316
03-13-2007, 08:36 PM
yeah, i agree if your giong to pay so called diamond in the roughs like started money, why not just go after a starter, Clark and Mahan shouldn't be paid that much, unless they are starting and u know they are going to do amazing,
Its good to think u have a player that might play great, but why not seem him play for ur team at like depth player salary, and if they start doing good and u see that potenial in him then pay him starter money and contract

yeah we should lock up the players we have for long term instead of going after other players,

No McGahee but yes to Hutchinson,

richdg
03-13-2007, 08:44 PM
I wasn't saying I wanted McGahee, just using him as the type of player we should be going after. Or big signings over the past couple of years: Mahan, Clark, Wilson, Staley, and Farrior. Out of this group, only Farrior was a proven reliable player when we brought him in. Everyone else was unknown, below average, or injury prone. Mean while the Ravens go get: McNair, Mason, McGahee, Rolle, etc.... Which group of players would you rather have? Why are we picking up other peoples rejects?

brat316
03-13-2007, 08:48 PM
yeah i see your point yeah i guess we should go after proven players, but i would go with a mix some proven and some with question marks on them, becuase u might get a pick like Farrior, and some of those proven picks dont always work out like Perliess Price

richdg
03-13-2007, 09:03 PM
True, there are no sure things. But your chances are much better with proven players. Of the players I mentioned, how many of ours have panned out? 1. VS. most of the players that the Ravens have picked up have panned out.

Mr. Stiller
03-13-2007, 10:17 PM
yeah i see your point yeah i guess we should go after proven players, but i would go with a mix some proven and some with question marks on them, becuase u might get a pick like Farrior, and some of those proven picks dont always work out like Perliess Price

Look at what we used Clark for.

we signed a Mediocre guy because we were going to draft someone. Clark was just a bandaid, while Smith is the Cure. Now we have a solid Backup that has experience at FS/SS for cheap, and he's already shown he can be solid.

We aren't big spenders. How much did Hutch help Minnesota? How much McGahee does for baltimore (I'm goign to say less yardage than Lewis) but we'll see.

Paying for Free agents isn't always worth it. Would I like Hutch? Yea, But We don't need Hutch, we have Faneca. And We'll likely lock them up after the draft and we wrap up FA. Because then we'll have a clear view of our cap situation and what the future looks like.

We signed a guy like Mahan because he can play Center, Has experience, came fairly cheap (considering other contracts for mid-tier players) and he's athletic.

I wasn't saying I wanted McGahee, just using him as the type of player we should be going after. Or big signings over the past couple of years: Mahan, Clark, Wilson, Staley, and Farrior. Out of this group, only Farrior was a proven reliable player when we brought him in. Everyone else was unknown, below average, or injury prone. Mean while the Ravens go get: McNair, Mason, McGahee, Rolle, etc.... Which group of players would you rather have? Why are we picking up other peoples rejects?

Mahan we're not sure yet. Wilson played a solid role in that superbowl season as the Reliable #3, Staley was a bad pickup I'll agree. Clark did what he was paid to do, start over Smith until Ant was ready.

Ravens Got McNair, good bit of Change, and it improved their record, but still no big win. Mason, was a solid pickup, lets take him as Ravens Farrior. McGahee, injury prone and below average. He's more hype than action. Samari Rolle is a big complaint of fans and looking to be replaced.

Isn't that what Free Agency is? Picking up other peoples rejects? If it weren't picking up other peoples rejects, everyone would just re-sign with their team. McNair was rejected. Heck Other than McGahee it looks like Baltimore is the Titan retirement home... As NE is for Steelers.

Thats the idea of free Agency. You look around for guys that can help. You don't build your team in FA. Look at the Redskins, perennial Winners of FA, constant losers of NFL.

Same with Cleveland.

The CBA opened up a Pandora's Box of evils that no one saw until this offseason. The overpaying of Mediocre talent.

Lastly, I was brought up watching the steelers year round. We never were big players in FA. We bring in a solid Player and draft a dynasty. It's worked this far, why chance it?

And who should we have Hired? Grimm? Whis? We like defensive Minded Coaches. Grimm really hasn't developed Oline talent frankly. I liked the guy, but seriously. Simmons should be better for a first rounder, not outplayed by a 6th round rookie.... and our 3rd round SB RT shouldn't have been outplayed by a 4th round Rookie.

Only other 3-4 Defensive Coach on the market would've been one of the Ryans. They like Young motivated energetic defensive Coaches. Tomlin fit that. Frankly I don't like this offseason, but because Cowher left. I don't care who the coach was, Porter was likely gone.

richdg
03-14-2007, 08:15 AM
Mr. Stiller. You couldn't be more wrong. Let's go back 10 years. Look at teh players that the Steelers were picking up: Kevin Greene Pro Bowler with the Rams, Bettis Pro Bowler with the Rams, Hartings Pro Bowler with the Lions, Farrior Pro Bowler with the Jets, Wolford Pro Bowler with the Bills, etc...... The problem is not that we dont go after players, it is one of spending money on crapy players, so there is no money left to spend on good players. As for Hutchinson, he is a great C as well as a great G, both positions we need help at. Simmons sucks because he has diabetes. He can't maintain his strength/weight. This is a problem that can not be fixed. Simmons, Okabi, Phillip, and Mahan are going to cost us about 10 million this year. Not one of them is capable of being a good starter. To that 10 million let's add the 2 million for Wilson (nothing more than a #4 WR) the 2 million for Clark (#3 S at best) the 2 million for Townsend (our #4 CB) the money from the retirment of Hartings and Bettis, and we could have had over 20 million to spend. That is more than enough to lock up Troy, Smith, and Faneca to long term contracts and sign 2 big time FA's. So, once again the front office is pissing money away on junk, instead of getting 1 or 2 great players to add to a good team.

mikehop05
03-14-2007, 10:07 AM
Mr. Stiller. You couldn't be more wrong. Let's go back 10 years. Look at teh players that the Steelers were picking up: Kevin Greene Pro Bowler with the Rams, Bettis Pro Bowler with the Rams, Hartings Pro Bowler with the Lions, Farrior Pro Bowler with the Jets, Wolford Pro Bowler with the Bills, etc...... The problem is not that we dont go after players, it is one of spending money on crapy players, so there is no money left to spend on good players. As for Hutchinson, he is a great C as well as a great G, both positions we need help at. Simmons sucks because he has diabetes. He can't maintain his strength/weight. This is a problem that can not be fixed. Simmons, Okabi, Phillip, and Mahan are going to cost us about 10 million this year. Not one of them is capable of being a good starter. To that 10 million let's add the 2 million for Wilson (nothing more than a #4 WR) the 2 million for Clark (#3 S at best) the 2 million for Townsend (our #4 CB) the money from the retirment of Hartings and Bettis, and we could have had over 20 million to spend. That is more than enough to lock up Troy, Smith, and Faneca to long term contracts and sign 2 big time FA's. So, once again the front office is pissing money away on junk, instead of getting 1 or 2 great players to add to a good team.

well junk or no junk, we do need depth, injuries happen..

brat316
03-14-2007, 02:34 PM
so would u rather shake ur fist at anger at colbert, and the HC, or would u get want to get a new GM

terribletowel39
03-14-2007, 02:43 PM

when we picked up clark he was the 2nd best safety we had on our roster due to Ant being a rookie. and townsend has been our most consistent corner the past couple of yrs, we keep bringing in this new meat but he keeps batting them down regardless that he is 6-8 yrs older than them. i do agree with you that simmons isn't a capable starter but we haven't seen much from okobi and phillip from the starting standpoint. and i like wilson for the very reason in which you use. everyone takes him for granted so when he is open, he is wide open and he does come down with the catch. he made the marvin harrison catch in the end zone against champ bailey none the less in the afc championship game. and didn't we aquire some of those guys in trades so they weren't free agent pick ups?? i am 99% sure bettis was a trade. b/c of course it came back and kicked them in anoose. we have never been a big FA team anyway, i don't know why everyone is making a big deal out of this. is it because we are not making a big splash in the FA market with a new coach?? i think it is too much for some of you. this is nothing new to the organization. we will still draft like monsters, like we always do and we will be okay. i don't believe one bit that we are going downhill and i can almost guarantee a playoff spot this yr. and look out when that happens. we have been there before so we know how to play. we are going to be fine. tomlin will be a great coach.

brat316
03-14-2007, 02:50 PM
Matt Turk i saw that the steelers were intresting in the Punter what do u guys think about him

mikehop05
03-14-2007, 02:50 PM
when we picked up clark he was the 2nd best safety we had on our roster due to Ant being a rookie. and townsend has been our most consistent corner the past couple of yrs, we keep bringing in this new meat but he keeps batting them down regardless that he is 6-8 yrs older than them. i do agree with you that simmons isn't a capable starter but we haven't seen much from okobi and phillip from the starting standpoint. and i like wilson for the very reason in which you use. everyone takes him for granted so when he is open, he is wide open and he does come down with the catch. he made the marvin harrison catch in the end zone against champ bailey none the less in the afc championship game. and didn't we aquire some of those guys in trades so they weren't free agent pick ups?? i am 99% sure bettis was a trade. b/c of course it came back and kicked them in anoose. we have never been a big FA team anyway, i don't know why everyone is making a big deal out of this. is it because we are not making a big splash in the FA market with a new coach?? i think it is too much for some of you. this is nothing new to the organization. we will still draft like monsters, like we always do and we will be okay. i don't believe one bit that we are going downhill and i can almost guarantee a playoff spot this yr. and look out when that happens. we have been there before so we know how to play. we are going to be fine. tomlin will be a great coach.

i whole heartedly concur

though i do see the argument in wanting to save money to be able to pay ben alan and troy...

however, i dont think any of us know exactly how the CBA, salary structures for each player and the team as a whole etc., so really i think this should be an argument, if needed, to be made in a year or so from now when we see what happens

terribletowel39
03-14-2007, 02:53 PM
Matt Turk i saw that the steelers were intresting in the Punter what do u guys think about him

don't know who that is (he's a punter) but i still say i don't want him. i want us to pick up one of the two top punters in the draft. i don't want to start another debate on which punter to take so i'll just leave it at that. one of the top two.

terribletowel39
03-14-2007, 02:56 PM
i whole heartedly concur

though i do see the argument in wanting to save money to be able to pay ben alan and troy...

however, i dont think any of us know exactly how the CBA, salary structures for each player and the team as a whole etc., so really i think this should be an argument, if needed, to be made in a year or so from now when we see what happens

yea but next yr the cap goes up again, doesn't it?? if i am right i don't see any need to worry, it is going up again and so there will be plenty of money next yr to over pay everybody.

mikehop05
03-14-2007, 02:56 PM

i reallly hope we dont go out and sign another older guy with a so-so leg that really is past his prime

id rather grab a guy in the draft or an UDFA that can really boot the ball and can be a legit special teams safety valve - last hope - decent athlete

richdg
03-14-2007, 03:31 PM
Yes, Bettis was a trade. The rest that I mentioned were FA's. By the way, the cap goes up every year. Everyone talks about depth, which is fine, but what good is depth at one position, when you have bad players at another. Again, Mahan, Okabi, Phillip, and Simmons are all competing for the C job, what do we have? We don't have a legit starter. We have a ton of money tied up, and no starter. All 4 are backup caliber players at best. Yet they take up 10 million in cap space. All of that money for 1 position!
As for management it is a 3 person show. The Rooney's run the team, Colbert gets the players, and Tomlin does the coaching. No one else is involved.

On a different note. Why not make a run at Briggs? Oh yeah, we don't have the cap space, but he would be a great fit. Could be a ILB in a 3-4 or a OLB in a 4-3.

terribletowel39
03-14-2007, 03:41 PM
Yes, Bettis was a trade. The rest that I mentioned were FA's. By the way, the cap goes up every year. Everyone talks about depth, which is fine, but what good is depth at one position, when you have bad players at another. Again, Mahan, Okabi, Phillip, and Simmons are all competing for the C job, what do we have? We don't have a legit starter. We have a ton of money tied up, and no starter. All 4 are backup caliber players at best. Yet they take up 10 million in cap space. All of that money for 1 position!
As for management it is a 3 person show. The Rooney's run the team, Colbert gets the players, and Tomlin does the coaching. No one else is involved.

On a different note. Why not make a run at Briggs? Oh yeah, we don't have the cap space, but he would be a great fit. Could be a ILB in a 3-4 or a OLB in a 4-3.

of the four competing for the C job 3 of them can also play one or both of the guards and the only reason i think they are competing is because none of them have started at C for our team. Maha has started for the Bucs, Simmons sucked anal juice playing RG last yr so they are letting him try and be the puller. and okobi and phillips have been sitting behind hartings for the past 6-7 and 1 yr respectively.

on the briggs topic, even if we had the cap room which i believe we do, i still wouldn't want him. we have better starters right now at ILB in our 34. and he is complaining right now about making 7.2 mil. if we were going to throw more than that at briggs i would be outraged because that means we let go of porter for no reason. granted i love briggs and i think he is vastly underrated even with all the respect that he gets but i still don't want him.

richdg
03-14-2007, 08:26 PM
Briggs is mad about the 1 year part of the offer. I would bet that 5 years and 28-30 million would make him very happy. As for the need, farrior is 32 or 33, Porter is gone, and Haggans is in the final year. It would be a great pick up for us. On top of that, he is used to playing in a 4-3, which I believe we will be changing to next year. Plus, he offers up depth, sense that is so important?????????

skarocksoi
03-14-2007, 09:53 PM
Briggs is mad about the 1 year part of the offer. I would bet that 5 years and 28-30 million would make him very happy. As for the need, farrior is 32 or 33, Porter is gone, and Haggans is in the final year. It would be a great pick up for us. On top of that, he is used to playing in a 4-3, which I believe we will be changing to next year. Plus, he offers up depth, sense that is so important?????????

Well Im sure that the Bears offered him a contract extention, he just didn't like the money he would have gotten, and thats why they had to tag him. Theres no way we would have been able to pay him the money he wanted. And to weigh in on the debate of FA, I'd prefer that we stay out of the competition to sign guys because it just leads to overpaying for mediocre talent. Mahan's contract seems so bad because he is a mediocre talent that is getting paid a lot of money this year due the salary cap increase and teams throwing money to sign guys because of it. I'm not really sure who you want to go after, cause there wasn't a ton of star talent this year.

Also, there has been no definative statement that we will be switching to a 4-3 next year, only speculation. Tomlin seems to have stated that he will run the schemes that his players fit, not get the players that fit the scheme.

Man_Of_Steel
03-14-2007, 11:59 PM
Well Im sure that the Bears offered him a contract extention, he just didn't like the money he would have gotten, and thats why they had to tag him. Theres no way we would have been able to pay him the money he wanted. And to weigh in on the debate of FA, I'd prefer that we stay out of the competition to sign guys because it just leads to overpaying for mediocre talent. Mahan's contract seems so bad because he is a mediocre talent that is getting paid a lot of money this year due the salary cap increase and teams throwing money to sign guys because of it. I'm not really sure who you want to go after, cause there wasn't a ton of star talent this year.

Also, there has been no definative statement that we will be switching to a 4-3 next year, only speculation. Tomlin seems to have stated that he will run the schemes that his players fit, not get the players that fit the scheme.

I agreev with alot of what you said and i dont want to get him either.
However the Bears never offered him a contract extension, thats the problem. The reason he is so mad with the franchise tag is that he thinks the team isnt including him in their future. Briggs has said repeatedly that is the Bears offered him an extension he would have signed. Bottom line is that this whole mess started when the Bears refused to give him an extension and slapped him with the tag.

Mr. Stiller
03-15-2007, 05:34 AM

It's possible that you are very correct, or that we both are.

We signed Pro-Bowl Caliber Kevin Greene, Jerome Bettis, Will Woolford. Very True.

However not one of those signings necessarily won us the superbowl. Yes we had good seasons and we made it in 96. But Greene didn't win us a superbowl, Woolford didnt, Bettis nearly cost us the one, during the Indy game.

Is it Ironic or are all the big time UFA's we bring in, (Other than Bettis) really not do much? Bettis had how many pro-bowls and 1000 yard seasons, but it took us Ben roethlisberger, Willie Parker, Hines Ward...

But who's the only non-steeler to sign and make the team the FA period before the superbowl run.... Cedrick Wilson?

It's crazy, sign all the probowlers you want, but FA is highly overrated. Get some solid Players which is, contrary to your belief, True. Sure we signed Kevin Greene, We Signed Bettis, We Signed Woolford. Guys like that don't come around often.. If there's a great guy around, we'll sign him, fine. But There isn't a wealth of talent I'm interested in overpaying this offseason.

then again, we are talking in theoreticals at this point. We don't really know who will be on the final roster, where at, are they worth the cost, yadda-yadda. Who knows your disappointed about Porter, maybe in Miami he puts up 3 sacks and 1 Int or gets injured. How good would it have been for us to give him an exorbent amount of money.

Lets see how well he does the length of his contract to determine if he is worth it.

Lets see how well Mahan does.

And I'm sure, if they want to keep Alan Faneca around, they'll find a way to pay him. If not, I'm not so certain they really are concerned about retaining him.

As for Hutch, He didn't exactly put Minnesota over the top.

Not signing Wilson would likely result in the clincher TD in Cincy, the One against Bailey as stated. We'll find a way to pay Troy and Ben, I'm not even sure they'll like to keep Alan Around.

Mr. Stiller
03-15-2007, 05:36 AM
I agreev with alot of what you said and i dont want to get him either.
However the Bears never offered him a contract extension, thats the problem. The reason he is so mad with the franchise tag is that he thinks the team isnt including him in their future. Briggs has said repeatedly that is the Bears offered him an extension he would have signed. Bottom line is that this whole mess started when the Bears refused to give him an extension and slapped him with the tag.

Because he wanted a long tenure contract to be making more than any other LB in the league. He said he would sign an extension, but did you see the money he wants. I don't care if he had better #'s than Urlacher, he's on the best defense in the league and I can't see paying him more than we would've paid Porter.

richdg
03-15-2007, 08:08 AM
Now you are just being silly. We shouldn't go after good players because we never won a SB with Greene, Woolford, Bettis fianl year etc........ That is like saying we should cut all our first round draft picks becasue we didn't win the SB. You and I both know it takes a team. 22 starters, 10-15 backups, good coaching, and luck to win a sb. My point is WE DON"T HAVE 22 STARTERS! At least 22 guys that should start. It was just a couple of months ago that everyone was excited about signing Okabi to a long term deal, so he can take over for Hartings. I said it was a stupid move and Okabi can't play. Now we go out and sign another player Mahan, who's best position is C. Between the 2 of them they make 7+ million a year, and neither one of them can play. They both suck! This is my point. Stop pissing money away on crapy players. Spend it on good players. Stop trying to defend this action by saying "we never go after big time FA's" That is a lie to cover up bad moves.

Mr. Stiller
03-15-2007, 09:02 AM
Now you are just being silly. We shouldn't go after good players because we never won a SB with Greene, Woolford, Bettis fianl year etc........ That is like saying we should cut all our first round draft picks becasue we didn't win the SB. You and I both know it takes a team. 22 starters, 10-15 backups, good coaching, and luck to win a sb. My point is WE DON"T HAVE 22 STARTERS! At least 22 guys that should start. It was just a couple of months ago that everyone was excited about signing Okabi to a long term deal, so he can take over for Hartings. I said it was a stupid move and Okabi can't play. Now we go out and sign another player Mahan, who's best position is C. Between the 2 of them they make 7+ million a year, and neither one of them can play. They both suck! This is my point. Stop pissing money away on crapy players. Spend it on good players. Stop trying to defend this action by saying "we never go after big time FA's" That is a lie to cover up bad moves.

Well if it helps you sleep at night we didn't ask Okobi to restructure his deal.. Likely meaning he's cut.

And It's not just as silly saying that we shouldn't sign the non-all pros because they suck?

Theres a 53 man roster and 22 starters.. there's 21 guys that don't start but are just as important to that team.

Sure Ced makes a good bit of money for a #3/#4, but he also was a good reason we did so well in the post season.

I'm just pointing out the opposite end of the spectrum.

we should sign good guys every now and then, don't get me wrong, but sometimes the small guys make it just as good.

PittPete
03-15-2007, 09:52 AM
both Stiller and richdg are making valid points. The Steelers have traditionall been built through the draft which means we 'learn em good' about how to play their positions the steeler way, and after apprenticing a few years they are accomplished as starters; see Larry foote for example. Many of these players are midround draftpicks that pan out. The last few drafts have been disappointing in this regard. Last year we were all drooling over people like Orien Harris and Omar Jacobs, neither of whom even made the team. therefore we have to rely on the free agent market to pick up stopgap players. i totally agree with richdg that $10 million is a little steep for four mediocre players and only hope that our GM sees something in Mahan that we dont. Cutting both Okobi and Simmons, if neither starts, would seem to be in the making. Colon and Essex both have promise as lineman but Starks and Simmons have both disappointed me.

Mr. Stiller
03-15-2007, 10:07 AM
both Stiller and richdg are making valid points. The Steelers have traditionall been built through the draft which means we 'learn em good' about how to play their positions the steeler way, and after apprenticing a few years they are accomplished as starters; see Larry foote for example. Many of these players are midround draftpicks that pan out. The last few drafts have been disappointing in this regard. Last year we were all drooling over people like Orien Harris and Omar Jacobs, neither of whom even made the team. therefore we have to rely on the free agent market to pick up stopgap players. i totally agree with richdg that $10 million is a little steep for four mediocre players and only hope that our GM sees something in Mahan that we dont. Cutting both Okobi and Simmons, if neither starts, would seem to be in the making. Colon and Essex both have promise as lineman but Starks and Simmons have both disappointed me.

I think for Harris/Jacobs, we really didn't give them time to develop. As for 4 players for $10 million. Was better 4 solid mediocre players for $10,000,000 or 1 good to great player? If this was baseball, it would be easy. Simmons is on the last season of his contract and Okobi is likely gone.

Colon has shown he's a more tenacious RT than starks and if that doesn't Piss him off I hope we trade him. I like Essex as he can play anything but Center. Although I'm a bit confused why he didn't play over Colon last year.

Lastly I think we're all disappointed in Simmons/Starks. But you could put a positive spin on it. I think we're disappointed that they are underachieving not because they're necessarily bad. It's almost as if they took last offseason off. Lets see what happens when there's a lot of money on the line, and when the new coach isn't going to accept your horrible play.

brat316
03-15-2007, 03:29 PM
From the new draft that Scott has would u rather pick Moss or Bowe, i would rather have Bowe then Moss

There other DE/OLB tweeners out there, but not many WR that go over the middle and are like WARD, but that can be argue

DeathbyStat
03-15-2007, 03:38 PM
I'm not huge fan of Bowe plus the depth at WR is great in this draft

I know everyones feelings on Spencer and Moss have been mixed lately but I have a bad feeling that if we don't draft either of these guy Baltimore will draft one of them and they will rape us for years to come.

darnik44two
03-15-2007, 04:03 PM

It doesn't sound like you understand all the circumstances on why Porter was cut. In an interview by Porter, he made it quite clear he would not play with one year remaining on his contract. In other words he was prepared to hold out. Remember he nearly held out last year with 2 years remaining. The Steelers reason's for not resigning Porter is that they want to give extentions to Roethlisberger, Polamalu, and Faneca. They are in the works on those 3 extentions right now. Porter signed a $30+ million dollar contract with $20 million in guarantees. If the Steelers would have given Porter that they would be unable to keep all 3 of the previously mentioned group. As far as the Mahan signing, I don't know much about him and doubt any of you do either. I know he's a versatile OL and that fits the Steelers style. If the guy couldn't play he would already be out of the league and I think the Steelers do a pretty good job of evaluating talent. Also I think you are putting way too much emphasis on Tomlin's role in the draft. Kevin Colbert is the guy with the final say there, it was like that when Cowher was here so it's certainly that way now. As far as James Harrison goes, he's a great player. Just look at what he's done when given the chance. You said he was too small to play 3-4 OLB. Technically his size doesn't fit the criteria, but he sure didn't play that way. Besides, I'm quite certain the 3-4 will be quickly phased out. If Tomlin planned on running the 3-4 exclusively he would just come out and say it. He danced around and avoided that question countless times since he was hired.

darnik44two
03-15-2007, 04:13 PM

Kevin Greene, Jeff Hartings, and James Farrior were not Pro Bowler prior to coming to Pittsburgh. The Steelers approach to not going after high dollar free agents has allowed them year after year to have alot of depth and be contenders. Teams who go on spending sprees have roller coaster types of success. These same teams in a few years unload massive amounts of players to get under the cap and are left with no core. The Steelers approach to drafting and developing player is the way to go in my book. Look at the big majority of Steelers greats over the last 10 years. Mid round draft picks who watch for a couple seasons then become stars. Porter, Gildon, Kirkland, Perry, Lake, Aaron Smith, Foote, Towndsend, the list could go on and on.

Man_Of_Steel
03-15-2007, 06:26 PM
I'm not huge fan of Bowe plus the depth at WR is great in this draft

I know everyones feelings on Spencer and Moss have been mixed lately but I have a bad feeling that if we don't draft either of these guy Baltimore will draft one of them and they will rape us for years to come.

I totally agree. Moss is still a very good pick for us.

skarocksoi
03-15-2007, 06:29 PM
I don't really get why everyone is clamoring about FA now, seeing as how we have never really delved that far into it in the past. Like darnik said before, most of the guys we picked up in FA weren't stars when we got them, but we developed them. Thats our reputation. We develop talent very well.

As to our failed draft picks from last year, you also have to remember that we had most of the team returning and were pretty much guaranteed their spots before training camp even started. The only place we really could have put them was on the practice squad where they could be taken away by some other team. It's a shame too, I would have like to see Orien play for compete for a spot during this offseason.

D-Unit
03-15-2007, 08:15 PM
With the dismantling of the 3-4, are there any rumors about Casey Hampton being traded at all? If I'm Jerry Jones, I'm offering Jason Ferguson and our 2nd Round or 3rd Round pick. Would that be enticing?

skarocksoi
03-15-2007, 08:39 PM
No one ever said we were getting rid of the 3-4, everybody just assumes it. Tomlin has said that the great players defy scheme and he's not set on running a particular scheme. That being said, Hampton is one of our best players and would do fine in both a 3-4 or 4-3, so I doubt we would trade him. I can't guarantee that after this season, depending on contracts and whatnot, but I doubt we would deal one of the best NT's in the league.

NFLBOY
03-15-2007, 08:43 PM
Kevin Greene, Jeff Hartings, and James Farrior were not Pro Bowler prior to coming to Pittsburgh. The Steelers approach to not going after high dollar free agents has allowed them year after year to have alot of depth and be contenders. Teams who go on spending sprees have roller coaster types of success. These same teams in a few years unload massive amounts of players to get under the cap and are left with no core. The Steelers approach to drafting and developing player is the way to go in my book. Look at the big majority of Steelers greats over the last 10 years. Mid round draft picks who watch for a couple seasons then become stars. Porter, Gildon, Kirkland, Perry, Lake, Aaron Smith, Foote, Towndsend, the list could go on and on. They were pro bowlers before coming to Pitt. Maybe not Bettis, but Hartings and Greene were.

richdg
03-15-2007, 08:48 PM
No, Hampton is not going to be traded or cut. In Tomlin's words "Hampton and Troy are players that defy scheme".

Just to clear up an earlier point. Wolford, Greene, and Hartings were all Probowlers before they came to the Steelers. In Fact they all were multiple time PB players.

I want everyone to think about this for a few minutes. Over the last 14 months we won a SB, had a crapy 8-8 season, lost a HoF coach, hired a no name coach (yes he could turn out to be good), hired a bunch of assistant coaches that have long track records of coaching on bad teams, cut the team leader on D, overpaid for a career backup on the OL. If that is not a downward trend, then I don't know what one is. On top of that there is a lack of clarity on certin things. Why did Cowher resign? Was money an issue? Why were so few coaches looked at? What scheme are we going to run on D? I don't care if it is a 3-4 or a 4-3. Both work. But rying to run both at the same time, is going to be difficult. Kind of like having 2 starting QB's. Usually means you don't have one.

For those of us that remember when Cowher was hired, he came in and clearly stated what he was going to do. Made it very clear what he expected. Told the veteran players this is the way it is going to be, like it or leave. Now, every coach is different, but most do the same type of things. They quickly make their plans known. They put their stamp on things. I have not heard much of that lately. Other than the original press conference.
I hope all is going to be ok. But I have seen this before. I live in Michigan, and get to hear about how not to run a football team everyday ( the Lions). I don't ever want the Steelers to ever be able to be compared with that team.
To win championships it take championship caliber players and coaches. We seam to be a little light on both.

DeathbyStat
03-15-2007, 09:12 PM
No, Hampton is not going to be traded or cut. In Tomlin's words "Hampton and Troy are players that defy scheme".

Just to clear up an earlier point. Wolford, Greene, and Hartings were all Probowlers before they came to the Steelers. In Fact they all were multiple time PB players.

I want everyone to think about this for a few minutes. Over the last 14 months we won a SB, had a crapy 8-8 season, lost a HoF coach, hired a no name coach (yes he could turn out to be good), hired a bunch of assistant coaches that have long track records of coaching on bad teams, cut the team leader on D, overpaid for a career backup on the OL. If that is not a downward trend, then I don't know what one is. On top of that there is a lack of clarity on certin things. Why did Cowher resign? Was money an issue? Why were so few coaches looked at? What scheme are we going to run on D? I don't care if it is a 3-4 or a 4-3. Both work. But rying to run both at the same time, is going to be difficult. Kind of like having 2 starting QB's. Usually means you don't have one.

For those of us that remember when Cowher was hired, he came in and clearly stated what he was going to do. Made it very clear what he expected. Told the veteran players this is the way it is going to be, like it or leave. Now, every coach is different, but most do the same type of things. They quickly make their plans known. They put their stamp on things. I have not heard much of that lately. Other than the original press conference.
I hope all is going to be ok. But I have seen this before. I live in Michigan, and get to hear about how not to run a football team everyday ( the Lions). I don't ever want the Steelers to ever be able to be compared with that team.
To win championships it take championship caliber players and coaches. We seam to be a little light on both.

Amen to that

neko4
03-16-2007, 04:50 AM
dude to be honest, and some of you will not agree. but i would go as high as the 4-5 rounds and grab him, the way he was used in Hawaii, is the exact way that we use our 3rd down backs and he was a demon. meaning screens and draws and what not. look at his stats and he was a beast reciever. i think if we picked him up then he would beat out najeh and verron for the 2nd spot. and i would absolutely love it. him and desmond bishop for some reason are two guys that i want desperately.

When did I come over here?

slurve
03-16-2007, 07:04 AM
Jeff Hartings only two Pro Bowls(2005, 2006) were with the Steelers, he was alternate selection with the Lions(as well as with the Steelers).

terribletowel39
03-16-2007, 09:34 AM
When did I come over here?

whenever we switched over, for some reason everytime that i posted it was it was you. stopped after a couple of hours but yea. all my old post say they were by you.

PittPete
03-16-2007, 09:43 AM
What has me most worried about this year is the new coaching regime. Cowhers best strength was probably his motivational skills, both with players and his coaches. Look how highly all the steeler assistant coaches were rated; given opportunities elsewhere and flopped. It seems cowher was able to get his coaches to overachieve. Now I'm going to give Tomlin full respect and hope for the best but he seems to have surrounded himself with largely unsuccessful newcomers that have to put up in a hurry. Luckily we still have Lebeau, probably the best defensive coordinator ever. I just hope this isn't a transition year for the coaches to find their way as our personnel talent is fully loaded.

glennjamen3
03-16-2007, 09:44 AM
well the Arizona Steelers signed Morey... you know, at first I thought it would be pretty cool to see what all Whis could do in Arizona, but this cute stuff is getting out of hand. our organization was basically split in half, one half went to arizona and the other half stayed. best of luck to ya ken but you gotta stop taking players out from under us.

terribletowel39
03-16-2007, 10:05 AM
well the Arizona Steelers signed Morey... you know, at first I thought it would be pretty cool to see what all Whis could do in Arizona, but this cute stuff is getting out of hand. our organization was basically split in half, one half went to arizona and the other half stayed. best of luck to ya ken but you gotta stop taking players out from under us.

yea i just read that. no beuno. i like that Arizona Steelers. rep points for that.

skarocksoi
03-16-2007, 02:03 PM
That is pretty true, but when the front office hires the outside guy they think will work instead of the guy in the organization the players like, you will probably see some divided feelings from people. Hell, you can see it on these boards. It's going to be interesting what happens in the next few years out in Arizona.

As for the downward slide comment, it's not as bad as you are making it sound. I'm not saying we are going back to the superbowl next year, but we arent going to be the raiders in the next few years or anything like that. You have to face the fact that our team was getting very old, and guys were starting simply because they had before. We were stagnating. The only reason why we made our superbowl run the year before was because we had a team that was hungry for it. Many of those guys were old and hadn't won the big one in their careers and they wanted it desperately. After we won, they lost that drive, and you saw the result of that with our 8-8 season. We needed to reinvent ourselves and give our team a shot in the arm. A young inspirational coach who is able to command the respect of everyone around him, despite his age and inexperience seems like a good start. Cutting some dead weight to get the room to resign our important players and be able to sign younger guys and give the chance for some real competition in training camp is also starting off right. I see it as moving forward instead of wallowing in the success we had a few years ago.

Guess what, things change. The NFL is constantly changing, and you have to do something to keep up with it or you will get left behind. Look at the Raiders. Al Davis can't even admit that the team needs to rebuild and is stuck back in his glory days. Its pathetic.

At least our organization is trying to take the steps to make themselves better. Plus, we have had pretty consistant success ever since the rooneys took over the organization, so I think everyone is blowing things way out of proportion. I really wish I had the link to an article that talked about how all the steelers fans were going to freak out like some of us are now.

Mr. Stiller
03-16-2007, 02:57 PM
That is pretty true, but when the front office hires the outside guy they think will work instead of the guy in the organization the players like, you will probably see some divided feelings from people. Hell, you can see it on these boards. It's going to be interesting what happens in the next few years out in Arizona.

As for the downward slide comment, it's not as bad as you are making it sound. I'm not saying we are going back to the superbowl next year, but we arent going to be the raiders in the next few years or anything like that. You have to face the fact that our team was getting very old, and guys were starting simply because they had before. We were stagnating. The only reason why we made our superbowl run the year before was because we had a team that was hungry for it. Many of those guys were old and hadn't won the big one in their careers and they wanted it desperately. After we won, they lost that drive, and you saw the result of that with our 8-8 season. We needed to reinvent ourselves and give our team a shot in the arm. A young inspirational coach who is able to command the respect of everyone around him, despite his age and inexperience seems like a good start. Cutting some dead weight to get the room to resign our important players and be able to sign younger guys and give the chance for some real competition in training camp is also starting off right. I see it as moving forward instead of wallowing in the success we had a few years ago.

Guess what, things change. The NFL is constantly changing, and you have to do something to keep up with it or you will get left behind. Look at the Raiders. Al Davis can't even admit that the team needs to rebuild and is stuck back in his glory days. Its pathetic.

At least our organization is trying to take the steps to make themselves better. Plus, we have had pretty consistant success ever since the rooneys took over the organization, so I think everyone is blowing things way out of proportion. I really wish I had the link to an article that talked about how all the steelers fans were going to freak out like some of us are now.

That and there was a few Key points I noticed last year.

How many blocks does Kendall Simmons and Max Starks have to miss before they either get yelled at or Kemo/Colon got put in? They only did during injuries... the line play improved... then we took them back out. Why? Because they weren't Cowher Boys.

How many Punt Returns did we drop on the ground? 9-13? Somewhere in there? Colclough couldn't hold on to the ball, neither could Holmes.. Why didn't we put anyone else in.

Baltimore. 5 sacks in the first half. What did we do? Nothing, got 4 more in half 2. No half time adjustments, no nothing. the answer was simple, when passing run some more 2 back sets. Put Najeh and Kreider or whomever else it took back there to block for him. Nope.

I mean, I liked Cowher and his tenacity was inspiring to watch his mouth and just wait for the "TOO HOT FOR TV" bubble to cover... but thats all Bill was.. a young motivational guy.

Tomlin is motivational and has the ability for the X's/O's. Yea we read about how bad their pass defense was(Minnesota). But read more into it. They had one of their 2 DE's go down, their other one is looking like a first round bust. Their 1st round pick at OLB goes down with a season ending injury. They were doomed to have a bad season just as much as we are. Not to mention the fact they had no offense, but their defense kept them in games.

I for one, think it's a great hiring, but I'm holding my total judgement till this seasons starts playing out. How do the players respond, how are his half-time adjustments. We can't tell now.

All I know is from everything I've read and seen about Tomlin, is that:

1) He looks somewhat like Omar Epps.
2) He's very intelligent and motivated.
3) He seems to know exactly how to respond to the media.
4) He knows how to coach.
5) He gets respect from Veterans. Ask Ronde Barber and John Lynch.

If he's 1/10th the coach he comes off as in the interview room, he's going to be gold.

As for the Hush, Hush. It's nerve racking, but I think there's a plan. If he wants to go 4-3, don't tell everyone cause they can see your draft strategy. Same thing with the 3-4.

and if Keisel can pull of the Adalius Role.. we'll have a monster Hybrid with minor additions and adjustments.

Borat
03-16-2007, 03:34 PM
If it's true that you guys are switching to a 4-3, is there any way the Niners can pry Casey Hampton from you? Just wondering what his 4-3 value would be. I think he's a stud in the 3-4.

Mr. Stiller
03-16-2007, 03:53 PM
If it's true that you guys are switching to a 4-3, is there any way the Niners can pry Casey Hampton from you? Just wondering what his 4-3 value would be. I think he's a stud in the 3-4.

No one ever said we were getting rid of the 3-4, everybody just assumes it. Tomlin has said that the great players defy scheme and he's not set on running a particular scheme. That being said, Hampton is one of our best players and would do fine in both a 3-4 or 4-3, so I doubt we would trade him. I can't guarantee that after this season, depending on contracts and whatnot, but I doubt we would deal one of the best NT's in the league.

We're not going to the 4-3. If we did, I don't understand why anyone thinks Hampton can't play 4-3NT. He's a great NT, he'd do the same thing in the 4-3 as he would in the 3-4....

terribletowel39
03-16-2007, 03:57 PM

he is a stud in any defense. there is no chance of you taking him away from the steelers. he will die and be buried in a steelers uniform.

brat316
03-16-2007, 04:23 PM
yo i saw that movie 300 in IMAX it was amazing it bit over exagerated not as realistic but i like it

skarocksoi
03-16-2007, 04:36 PM
All I know is from everything I've read and seen about Tomlin, is that:

1) He looks somewhat like Omar Epps.
2) He's very intelligent and motivated.
3) He seems to know exactly how to respond to the media.
4) He knows how to coach.
5) He gets respect from Veterans. Ask Ronde Barber and John Lynch.

Haha, thats the first thing I said when I saw a picture of him. "The new head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers will be Omar Epps from the TV show House. No wait, Mike Tomlin. Who the hell is Mike Tomlin?"

That had me laughing for a while.

terribletowel39
03-16-2007, 05:24 PM
yo i saw that movie 300 in IMAX it was amazing it bit over exagerated not as realistic but i like it

greatest movie. it was directed to be like the graphic novel, not like the actual incident to explain the over exaggeration. and yes it is friggin' bad ass.

brat316
03-17-2007, 02:06 AM
yo but IMAX made it amazing if u get a chance watch it in IMAX

Hines
03-18-2007, 04:06 PM
hey im in that draft game and im wonderin if you would trade
a third rounder and larry foote for demorrio williams

terribletowel39
03-18-2007, 04:14 PM
hey im in that draft game and im wonderin if you would trade
a third rounder and larry foote for demorrio williams

hells no. you can't name the last time that larry foote made a bad play. he is our youngest and most consistent LB, no way i was trade him for demorrio who? williams.

Mr. Stiller
03-18-2007, 04:59 PM
hells no. you can't name the last time that larry foote made a bad play. he is our youngest and most consistent LB, no way i was trade him for demorrio who? williams.

Frankly I don't think we can take anymore hits to our LB core... I think Foote is seriously our most consistent LB... he was the first 5 games last season.

Hines
03-18-2007, 05:16 PM
so far i did this

traded a sixth to san fran for roderick green

and got a 4th rounder from oakland for kendall simmons

and im tryin to get a thrid from arizona for max

am i doin a good job so far

im also bringin in matt lehr, kawika mitchell, marques tuiasasopo (sp), and shantee orr, and kevan barlow for free agents

CDub
03-19-2007, 01:39 PM
I'm not sure if anyone has posted this in one of the 47 freakin threads and I'm not about to read through them all to find out, but I do think this is a very good article and is a very good summary of many of the little squables that have been going on about the differences between the 3-4 and the 4-3 and some prospects who are available for the 3-4.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/10066679

mikehop05
03-19-2007, 11:11 PM
I'm not sure if anyone has posted this in one of the 47 freakin threads and I'm not about to read through them all to find out, but I do think this is a very good article and is a very good summary of many of the little squables that have been going on about the differences between the 3-4 and the 4-3 and some prospects who are available for the 3-4.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/10066679

yeah thats a pretty good article, though its hard to group the 3 - 4 schemes into two different groups, each team really runs their own variation

but good stuff regardless

mikehop05
03-19-2007, 11:19 PM
http://www.newerascouting.com/index.php?c=33&a=103

article on who we are looking at, take it for what its worth since this isnt offical at all but i think its pretty interesting nonetheless..and it seems pretty legit

especially interesting since we havnt been talking to any ILB's so far

D-Unit
03-21-2007, 01:15 PM
For mere discussion purposes...

Dallas first rounder (22) and DT Jason Ferguson for Casey Hampton. Deal or No deal?

terribletowel39
03-21-2007, 02:45 PM
For mere discussion purposes...

Dallas first rounder (22) and DT Jason Ferguson for Casey Hampton. Deal or No deal?

i still wouldn't do it. atleast 2 first rounders and ferguson or Ware and a 2nd.

mikehop05
03-21-2007, 02:47 PM
yeah i wouldnt do it, unless we go to a 4 - 3, then id think about it if they threw in a 2nd also

mikehop05
03-21-2007, 02:48 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07080/771179-66.stm

good article there on Ben

mikehop05
03-22-2007, 01:54 PM
somehting interesting about this article is that they changed the protection calls last year to the line, ben said he never knew where the protection would be, etc.

this year hes calling it all, which is a good thing and will hopefully eliminate all the sacks

terribletowel39
03-22-2007, 03:14 PM
somehting interesting about this article is that they changed the protection calls last year to the line, ben said he never knew where the protection would be, etc.

this year hes calling it all, which is a good thing and will hopefully eliminate all the sacks

mr. optimistic are we?? but yea i noticed that and thought that was odd. granted i trust faneca and hartings enough for them to call it but for him not to know which side to avoid or something like that. no bueno. i like this call.

mikehop05
03-22-2007, 04:52 PM
shoot i didnt mean all the sacks hahah

but yeah honestly its hard for the linemen to call protection when defensives are bringing linebackers, etc. on the blitz, its a lot easier for the quarterback to recognize it and change it up

mikehop05
03-23-2007, 12:08 PM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/analysis/individual_workouts

penn states workout #'s, lebeau was in attendance

shaw,alford, and pus all seemed to do pretty well

i think shaw may be a legit 3rd rounder, possibly 2nd, i kinda like him now as a 3 - 4 olb, seeming as thats pretty much what he did at psu

Mr. Stiller
03-23-2007, 12:15 PM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/analysis/individual_workouts

penn states workout #'s, lebeau was in attendance

shaw,alford, and pus all seemed to do pretty well

i think shaw may be a legit 3rd rounder, possibly 2nd, i kinda like him now as a 3 - 4 olb, seeming as thats pretty much what he did at psu

I want shaw as well.

TheGunShow
03-23-2007, 12:23 PM
Yeah, 4.46 forty for a 6-1 1/4 233lbs guy is crazy! I wouldn't mind him in the second and Robison in the third.

DeathbyStat
03-23-2007, 12:27 PM
i think we all want shaw but what round would be appropraite to get him in

mikehop05
03-23-2007, 12:35 PM
right now im thinking 2nd, his versatility and athletiscm just continues to impress

honestly i wouldnt be upset if we got all psu players in the first 4 rounds

pos
shaw
hunt
alford

not saying this is ideal at all or my mock but honestly, it wouldnt be terrible

DeathbyStat
03-23-2007, 12:51 PM
right now im thinking 2nd, his versatility and athletiscm just continues to impress

pos
shaw
hunt
alford

As a penn state season ticket holder I second all of those except for Pos.

DeathbyStat
03-23-2007, 12:53 PM
Should I trade the #15 overall to the Ravens for Bart Scott and the 29 overall pick

skarocksoi
03-23-2007, 02:06 PM

pos
shaw
hunt
alford

It looks like you went to the wrong school there. I'd probably have a stroke if that is what our draft day looked like.

mikehop05
03-23-2007, 02:13 PM
i wish i coulda went to psu, too expensive outa state though

skarocksoi
03-23-2007, 02:17 PM
Yeah. I don't know how some of the people from New York and New Jersey can afford the tuition. Probably discounted tuition because their parents are alums or something.

terribletowel39
03-23-2007, 02:19 PM
i hear ya. i had to hit up LA Tech cuz out of state is too damn expensive. but then again any school is a school if you are there to harty pard.

skarocksoi
03-23-2007, 02:28 PM
Heres something I heard the other day. A friend of a friend said that Troy was asking for a new contract that is 1 dollar more than the highest paid safety, just so he could be the highest paid safety. Now I call BS on that, because they seems completely out of character from everything that I have heard about the man. I remember reading an article about how he wears sweats and drives a KIA because money isnt that important to him.

In fact, I have a pretty nice story about how generous the man is. A friend of a friend (again) was eating at a very expensive restaurant and Troy was also there with his wife. Everybody let him eat in peace, so when they had finished their meal, Troy stood up and thanked everybody for being so nice and then paid for everyone's meal.

Not something a guy worried about money does.

Mr. Stiller
03-23-2007, 02:30 PM
Heres something I heard the other day. A friend of a friend said that Troy was asking for a new contract that is 1 dollar more than the highest paid safety, just so he could be the highest paid safety. Now I call BS on that, because they seems completely out of character from everything that I have heard about the man. I remember reading an article about how he wears sweats and drives a KIA because money isnt that important to him.

In fact, I have a pretty nice story about how generous the man is. A friend of a friend (again) was eating at a very expensive restaurant and Troy was also there with his wife. Everybody let him eat in peace, so when they had finished their meal, Troy stood up and thanked everybody for being so nice and then paid for everyone's meal.

Not something a guy worried about money does.

Troy's not the one asking for $1 more, his agent is.

skarocksoi
03-23-2007, 02:44 PM
Yeah, but still. He could tell his agent to just get a fair deal and be paid in the top 10, or even top 5 safeties, not the highest paid. Is this really true though, or is it a rumor. I know agents want to get those blockbuster deals so they can toot their own horns, but are they actually looking for this kind of money.

mikehop05
03-23-2007, 02:50 PM
oh yeah and i mean i love it at UMD but my dad went to PSU so i grew up rooting for them

but i mean i can root for them still and not pay almost 40grand a year

mikehop05
03-23-2007, 02:57 PM
yeah i dont see troy asking for all that $$

i love that story about how he paid for everyone though, thats class

brat316
03-23-2007, 03:52 PM
yo that is the oddest thing i heard get paid a dollar more 1 dollar, why not just get payed like 5 dollars less then u can be #2 and say look im not that greedy i setteled for number 2

terribletowel39
03-23-2007, 04:20 PM
yea i don't think at all that it was actually troy saying hey i want $1 dollar more. it has to be his agent.

glennjamen3
03-23-2007, 10:50 PM
there was an article in the trib a couple weeks ago saying that his agent was asking for a dollar more than Ed Reed's contract.

"The scuttlebutt traveling among player agents is that Marvin Demoff, Polamalu's high-powered representative, wants a dollar more than Baltimore safety Ed Reed's six-year, $45 million deal that includes a $15 million signing bonus."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_497027.html

Hines
03-24-2007, 01:44 AM
i really hope troy stays

PittPete
03-24-2007, 09:46 AM
OK; we are all hoping Troy stays a steeler for life, I still haven''t gotten over losing Rod Woodson. But why fool around? Pay him like he's the best safety in football because he is. Orrrrrr, we can keep paying mediocre backups starter money, move to Cleveland and become the browns2.

skarocksoi
03-24-2007, 10:28 AM
Thats a little dissapointing to hear that his agent is asking for that much. I think he deserves it, but the Steelers aren't known for paying tons of money to guys. If they do make this contract, I wouldn't be suprised to see a lot of it in incentives and backloaded guaranteed money and all those tricky accounting things they do that make the contract look big, but its really not. I'm sure once negotiations are done, this contract will be much different, but I really hope it gets done. We would be big time losers this offseason if we let Troy go.

And to all the people who wanted us to make big time FA signings, maybe this is the reason why we didn't. So we could pay all the good players we have now.

mikehop05
03-24-2007, 11:46 AM
exactly, we have $$ to spend on our own guys now, i bet we let faneca go (or trade him) and then pay troy

we will also give ben an extension i think
who else will be needing their contracts redone / new contract?

da-lunatics
03-24-2007, 03:24 PM
Stiller fans be on the lookout this season for John Kuhn.......John is 250+ and is a running back besides being a blocking back.......He Ran fo over 4500 yard in colleg and had over a 5.1 yard average..........He will give the offense more depth and making defenses take some focus off Willie......He also can roll hard.........

mikehop05
03-24-2007, 03:28 PM
i hope kuhn can contribute this year, he'd be a great addition and change of pace to willie

PittPete
03-24-2007, 03:57 PM
I also think Kuhn was averaging 18 yards a carry for a while there!

mikehop05
03-24-2007, 04:06 PM
look at jackie battles pro day #'s

Battle (6-2, 235 pounds) ran his 40s in 4.42 and 4.43. He also had a 41-inch vertical jump, 10-foot-11 long jump, 4.11 short shuttle, 6.51 three-cone drill and 19 bench presses.

anyone see him play? his #'s are pretty impressive

skarocksoi
03-24-2007, 04:30 PM
what position is he?

mikehop05
03-24-2007, 05:03 PM
running back

steel man
03-26-2007, 01:04 PM
at least we have the best back up QB

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2812769

mikehop05
03-26-2007, 02:03 PM
shoulda told cowher that when he let ben start vs jacksonville

terribletowel39
03-26-2007, 02:11 PM
shoulda told cowher that when he let ben start vs jacksonville

hey hey no need to dwell on the past with the future so bright. :) and cowher hunts down those that speak ill of him and spits on them.

mikehop05
03-26-2007, 02:24 PM
hahah who knows what kinda power he would have on his spit with that jaw

terribletowel39
03-26-2007, 02:25 PM
hahah who knows what kinda power he would have on his spit with that jaw

powerful, i once made a momma joke.......it was no good.

glennjamen3
03-28-2007, 06:48 PM
good article from tomlin... sounds like we wont be taking a cb first round after all. http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07087/772998-66.stm

steel man
03-30-2007, 01:02 PM
i know i posted this in the mock thread also, but i wanted to make sure to get everyones ideals on it. i did not know where would be the best place to put it.

do you guys think 4 LBer's would be too many to draft and do you think it might be a chance that we really would draft 4. if it is to many what about 3 , if that is still to many how many do you guys think we will draft

steel man
03-30-2007, 01:26 PM
also if you guys do not mind please rank these outside LBer's in order from the best to worse with the round that you think they will be drafted in.

Paul Posluszny - PSU
Jon Beason - The U
Lawrence Timmons - FSU
Justin Durant - Hampton
Rufus Alexander - OU
Tim Shaw - PSU
Prescott Burgess - Mich
Brian Smith - Missouri
Quincy Black - NM
Earl Everett - UF

steel man
03-30-2007, 01:29 PM
also if you guys do not mind please rank these inside LBer's in order from the best to worse with the round that you think they will be drafted in.

Pat Willis - Old Miss
David Harris - Mich
Anthony Waters - Clem
H.B. Blades - Pitt
Desmond Bishop - Cal
Nate Harris - UL
Brandon Siler - UF
Buster Davis - FSU

terribletowel39
03-30-2007, 01:51 PM
i know i posted this in the mock thread also, but i wanted to make sure to get everyones ideals on it. i did not know where would be the best place to put it.

do you guys think 4 LBer's would be too many to draft and do you think it might be a chance that we really would draft 4. if it is to many what about 3 , if that is still to many how many do you guys think we will draft

4 is too many in my opinion, but 3 i could handle as long as one of them comes in the 6th or 7th.

DeathbyStat
04-03-2007, 11:36 AM
also if you guys do not mind please rank these outside LBer's in order from the best to worse with the round that you think they will be drafted in.

Paul Posluszny - PSU
Jon Beason - The U
Lawrence Timmons - FSU
Justin Durant - Hampton
Rufus Alexander - OU
Tim Shaw - PSU
Prescott Burgess - Mich
Brian Smith - Missouri
Quincy Black - NM
Earl Everett - UF

1.Paul Posluszny-Depends what system he ends up in...i don't think he is a good fit for the 3-4....unless he plays on the inside. I think he will be good in the cover 2 is an OLB if he has a good and large d-line to protect him from blocks.
Late to Mid Round 1

2.Lawrence Timmons-his production wasn't the greatest plus he isn't the freakish athlete that florida football normally produces. His tackles for loss are impressive.
mid first round

3.Jon Beason- the same goes for Beason as timmons......his production wasn't the greatest plus he isn't the freakish athlete that florida football normally produces.
mid to late first round

4.Rufus Alexander-simply a playmaker. could make Demeco Ryans like impact
early 2nd round

5.Tim Shaw-searching for a postion but could be Adaluis Thomas 2.0
Mid second early third

6.Justin Durant-perfect for cover 2 strong sleeper
3rd round

7.Earl Everett
3rd

8.Prescott Burgess
4th round

9.Brian Smith
4th-6th depends on health

10.Quincy Black-great cover 2 project
4th

I'm not really a huge fan of any of these guys.... they can be solid but not spectacular.

DeathbyStat
04-03-2007, 11:40 AM
also if you guys do not mind please rank these inside LBer's in order from the best to worse with the round that you think they will be drafted in.

Pat Willis - Old Miss
David Harris - Mich
Anthony Waters - Clem
H.B. Blades - Pitt
Desmond Bishop - Cal
Nate Harris - UL
Brandon Siler - UF
Buster Davis - FSU

1.Pat Willis -1st round

2.David Harris -Early 2nd

3.Anthony Waters -3rd

4.Buster Davis - FSU-3rd

5.H.B. Blades -3rd

6.Desmond Bishop - Cal-4th

7.Nate Harris - UL-4th

8.Brandon Siler - UF-4th

terribletowel39
04-09-2007, 09:16 PM
is anybody apart of the steelers message board off of steeler.com??

TerribleEd
04-09-2007, 10:08 PM
The Steelers are going to take Chris Houston at #15.

Man_Of_Steel
04-09-2007, 11:25 PM
The Steelers are going to take Chris Houston at #15.

Both Revis and Hall are better corners.

I actually have Houston ranked 5th behind Ross and McCauley.

mikehop05
04-09-2007, 11:41 PM
i say revis ross hall then houston

i like revis' and ross' height and their ball skills and their physicality over hall

but hall just seems like a solid guy, only thing i dislike about him is how he was beat 3 or 4 times for bigplays that i saw in 4 michigan games this year

PittPete
04-10-2007, 10:13 AM
Hall can totally dominate the average college wideout but gets scorched against anyone really good; wait til he gets to the nfl. I like Revis a lot but not at 15 and dont think he'll be there in rd 2. Neither will Ross but Houston might; he wasn't regarded so highly until he lit up the combine.

leoobeid32
04-10-2007, 10:18 AM
Did anyone see NFL.com's mock draft??? Leon Hall going 18 to Cincy.. but STEELERS TAKE HOUSTON AT 15!?!?!?! weirdddd.. well Steelers should definitly consider JArvis Moss. He can play the 3-4 in the interim... and next year be the rush DE your looking for, and then you have Jason Taylor JR.:cool:

terribletowel39
04-10-2007, 10:20 AM
thats exactly why houston will be gone. he lit up when most scouts had there eyes on him. they all four will be gone. if anyone has read mike mayocks new rankings on nfl.com he breaks down over the past 6 yrs the average number of a position taken in the first round, and there are 6 DB taken in the first on average every yr. so you can almost count hall, revis, houston, ross, and probably 2 safeties and we know landry will be gone befoer 10 or so. so it is realistic they will all be gone, and of my choice, i would choose ross, he is the most physical. reminds me a lot of huff, just not as ball hawkish, but that can be taught. he will be good one. in all actualities, i don't want a corner in the first, Tomlin obvious thinks Taylor has the potential to be a big time shut down corner. only person i like that i like at 15 is mr. bowe or someone that falls, even though i can't see anyone falling. maybe okoye or carriker??

terribletowel39
04-10-2007, 10:25 AM
Did anyone see NFL.com's mock draft??? Leon Hall going 18 to Cincy.. but STEELERS TAKE HOUSTON AT 15!?!?!?! weirdddd.. well Steelers should definitly consider JArvis Moss. He can play the 3-4 in the interim... and next year be the rush DE your looking for, and then you have Jason Taylor JR.:cool:

i like Houston over Hall anyway so it's not that weird. jarvis moss is too scrawny.for being 6'6 he should be pushing 260-270 for proper usage of his height. he is like the ted ginn of DE, frail looking. he only had one game and it just happened to be the BCS game that way everyone and there mother was watching. moss is the equivelant of suck. anyways i thought like 10 folks told you to please leave for your last comment?? you should make another name and try to come back, i don't think you will ever be taken seriously now.

mikehop05
04-10-2007, 12:09 PM
i dont think we make the change to the 4 - 3 next year, and if we do itll be a 3 - 4, 4- 3, hybrid... but after this draft i think we will be able to get a better feel for it

eh houston to me just seems like a workout wonder, he cant hit or catch but he can run fast and jump high...

id rather take ross or revis who can pop, is over 6 feet, and can help in the return game while also doing as good of a job in coverage as the other guys

TerribleEd
04-10-2007, 07:14 PM
I think Houston looks like the cream of the crop.

He has the tools: 4.32 forty and 27 reps!

He covered big-time recievers admirably: Man-to-man on Bowe, Rice, Jarrett, and Meachem.

How did Hall do with exceptional recievers like Ginn and Jarrett? Not so well.

Man_Of_Steel
04-10-2007, 07:42 PM
thats exactly why houston will be gone. he lit up when most scouts had there eyes on him. they all four will be gone. if anyone has read mike mayocks new rankings on nfl.com he breaks down over the past 6 yrs the average number of a position taken in the first round, and there are 6 DB taken in the first on average every yr. so you can almost count hall, revis, houston, ross, and probably 2 safeties and we know landry will be gone befoer 10 or so. so it is realistic they will all be gone, and of my choice, i would choose ross, he is the most physical. reminds me a lot of huff, just not as ball hawkish, but that can be taught. he will be good one. in all actualities, i don't want a corner in the first, Tomlin obvious thinks Taylor has the potential to be a big time shut down corner. only person i like that i like at 15 is mr. bowe or someone that falls, even though i can't see anyone falling. maybe okoye or carriker??

What have you heard that makes you say Tomlin obviously believes Taylor is a shutdown corner?

steel man
04-10-2007, 07:44 PM
how good is Houston's hands. i do not know if you guys remember Ike and how many Int's that he drops which could have been game changers. if Houston has good hands then his speed and his reps which is more than some OL and DL he might be a good pick up.

Man_Of_Steel
04-10-2007, 07:45 PM
i like Houston over Hall anyway so it's not that weird. jarvis moss is too scrawny.for being 6'6 he should be pushing 260-270 for proper usage of his height. he is like the ted ginn of DE, frail looking. he only had one game and it just happened to be the BCS game that way everyone and there mother was watching. moss is the equivelant of suck. anyways i thought like 10 folks told you to please leave for your last comment?? you should make another name and try to come back, i don't think you will ever be taken seriously now.

Maybe you saw him really for the first time in the bcs but he was a monster all season blocking game winning field goals and being a priemer rusher. Hes gonna be one of the best players to come out of this draft. Moss has disengaged hs block and actually chased rbs and wrs down 20 yards while they are dancing and got them from behind. Hes a stud.

mikehop05
04-10-2007, 08:02 PM
Maybe you saw him really for the first time in the bcs but he was a monster all season blocking game winning field goals and being a priemer rusher. Hes gonna be one of the best players to come out of this draft. Moss has disengaged hs block and actually chased rbs and wrs down 20 yards while they are dancing and got them from behind. Hes a stud.

he can rush the passer yes and he can run down guys yes but what he lacks is the ability to stop the run consistently, and be tough at the point of attack which is crucial for 3 - 4olb, though it looks like he has the frame to add strength and weight, hopefully that wont take away his best asset which is his quickness

mikehop05
04-10-2007, 08:05 PM
I think Houston looks like the cream of the crop.

He has the tools: 4.32 forty and 27 reps!

He covered big-time recievers admirably: Man-to-man on Bowe, Rice, Jarrett, and Meachem.

How did Hall do with exceptional recievers like Ginn and Jarrett? Not so well.

no thats the thing houston has great tools which makes him look so good...

he can run well in man coverage but he is terrible in zone and he doesnt tackle well, he doesnt shed blocks well... i dont mind him because of his upside but not in round one

Man_Of_Steel
04-10-2007, 08:08 PM
he can rush the passer yes and he can run down guys yes but what he lacks is the ability to stop the run consistently, and be tough at the point of attack which is crucial for 3 - 4olb, though it looks like he has the frame to add strength and weight, hopefully that wont take away his best asset which is his quickness

Hed play olb for us in the 3-4 and if we switch then hed be a 4-3.

mikehop05
04-10-2007, 08:12 PM
Hed play olb for us in the 3-4 and if we switch then hed be a 4-3.

yeah but im saying he needs to get stronger if he wants to play 3 downs in the 3 - 4, right now he is just a pass rushing specialist

Man_Of_Steel
04-10-2007, 08:14 PM
yeah but im saying he needs to get stronger if he wants to play 3 downs in the 3 - 4, right now he is just a pass rushing specialist

He already is a 3 down backer in the NFL, hes ready.

I thnk he only benched 15 times but dont let that fool you, he has really long arms and uses so much momentum to make his tackles.

mikehop05
04-10-2007, 08:18 PM
He already is a 3 down backer in the NFL, hes ready.

I thnk he only benched 15 times but dont let that fool you, he has really long arms and uses so much momentum to make his tackles.

its not the #'s i remember watching some games, he doesnt do great against the run... he doesnt use his long arms that well to shed blockers,

but thats the problem he needs momentum to make his tackles, hes no joey porter fighting off blocks and stalemating linemen...

in my opinion he just isnt 3down ready, too weak right now

Man_Of_Steel
04-10-2007, 08:22 PM
its not the #'s i remember watching some games, he doesnt do great against the run... he doesnt use his long arms that well to shed blockers,

but thats the problem he needs momentum to make his tackles, hes no joey porter fighting off blocks and stalemating linemen...

in my opinion he just isnt 3down ready, too weak right now

I gotta diagree, i think weve hit a stalemate.

mikehop05
04-10-2007, 08:26 PM
I gotta diagree, i think weve hit a stalemate.

yeah, well theres no doubt he has the upside and that nasty p word (potential)

what do you think of brian robinson outa texas... his combine #'s are almost the same as porters comming outa college, we can grab him in round 3/4,

ill look for their combine #'s to compare... i havnt seen many texas games though, so im not sure how well he plays in game

Man_Of_Steel
04-10-2007, 08:39 PM
Brian Robinson i like. Hes pretty much Rudy with great speed. He gives 100% and simular to Urlacher and Peppers wants to make a play wherever he is, he isnt as effective as those guys obviosly but he will run sideline to sideline to make a tackle. Not all that gifted but hes the kind of player you want on your team to spell players and has great moral. I might be the only one but i wouldnt be all that shocked if in 5 years he was a solid starter.

mikehop05
04-10-2007, 08:39 PM
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/nflcombineprofile.php?pyid=8812

^brain robinson (couldnt copy and paste)

cant find porters at the moment

terribletowel39
04-10-2007, 09:13 PM
What have you heard that makes you say Tomlin obviously believes Taylor is a shutdown corner?

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_501528.html

skarocksoi
04-10-2007, 09:50 PM
I hope Taylor makes a strong comeback this year. I tell all of my friends that he is really good and could be a great shutdown corner, but then he had a crappy year last year and made me look foolish. Come back, Ike. You my boy!

Man_Of_Steel
04-10-2007, 10:19 PM
Thats a good read but still i think we need a corner in one of the first two rounds to sure up our secondary.

Taylor, draft pick, McFadden, Townsend.

mikehop05
04-10-2007, 11:44 PM
Thats a good read but still i think we need a corner in one of the first two rounds to sure up our secondary.

Taylor, draft pick, McFadden, Townsend.

dont forget about coclough, he'll be healthy this year

terribletowel39
04-11-2007, 03:40 AM
dont forget about coclough, he'll be healthy this year

yea and carter usually plays dime and even nickel sometimes. to Steel now, if you honestly think we need a CB in the first two rounds then i would make it the first, because while there is good corners in the 2nd there aren't good LB prospects, well that i like in round one. so just to humor you i will say revis or ross in the first and harris in the 2nd, even though i kinda like leonard in the 2nd. so damn confusing. i don't know what i want really.

Mr. Stiller
04-11-2007, 08:03 AM
yea and carter usually plays dime and even nickel sometimes. to Steel now, if you honestly think we need a CB in the first two rounds then i would make it the first, because while there is good corners in the 2nd there aren't good LB prospects, well that i like in round one. so just to humor you i will say revis or ross in the first and harris in the 2nd, even though i kinda like leonard in the 2nd. so damn confusing. i don't know what i want really.

For me to take a first round CB...

1) No trade down option...
2) No DE/LT/OG option vs. value.

CB we have top talent (Don't forget who all ike Taylor "Shut Down" during the SB Run..) McFadden was solid against more physical receivers... DeShea was still not able to be knocked from #2. Colclough showed promise before the Punt Returns.

But right now, I'd take Anderson, Carriker(Even though a first round backup doesn't excite me), Staley, Grubbs or possibly even Spencer over a CB.

Mr. Stiller
04-11-2007, 08:05 AM
Oops double post.

PittPete
04-11-2007, 10:29 AM
I'm having a heart attack here! Two different positive responses for Colclough!! This guy is flatout the biggest bust since troy edwards. Colclough and Scott Shields both come from the school of great athlete/ cant tackle or cover. He never gets within 5 yards of any wideout and misses the tackle after the catch, not to mention his hairbrained return skills. To think we wasted two high draft picks on this dud(which I supported at the time,ugh) is a mistake that shouldn't be compounded by keeping a roster spot for him.

terribletowel39
04-11-2007, 11:02 AM
For me to take a first round CB...

1) No trade down option...
2) No DE/LT/OG option vs. value.

CB we have top talent (Don't forget who all ike Taylor "Shut Down" during the SB Run..) McFadden was solid against more physical receivers... DeShea was still not able to be knocked from #2. Colclough showed promise before the Punt Returns.

But right now, I'd take Anderson, Carriker(Even though a first round backup doesn't excite me), Staley, Grubbs or possibly even Spencer over a CB.

oh i agree you with you, i was just doing the humoring thing and saying if the steelers did take a CB in round one or two. i like all your picks except maybe Grubbs and Spencer. don't know if i would take those over a CB. but who knows. by the way welcome back, its been a while since you've posted.

mikehop05
04-11-2007, 11:58 AM
I'm having a heart attack here! Two different positive responses for Colclough!! This guy is flatout the biggest bust since troy edwards. Colclough and Scott Shields both come from the school of great athlete/ cant tackle or cover. He never gets within 5 yards of any wideout and misses the tackle after the catch, not to mention his hairbrained return skills. To think we wasted two high draft picks on this dud(which I supported at the time,ugh) is a mistake that shouldn't be compounded by keeping a roster spot for him.

he was out all of last year which is usually the time young corners get a good grasp of things

i say we give him one more year, one more chance before we write him off

terribletowel39
04-11-2007, 12:01 PM
he was out all of last year which is usually the time young corners get a good grasp of things

i say we give him one more year, one more chance before we write him off

and i remember him playing well in our 15-1 yr as our nickel back, i believe. maybe the reason i like him is because he was the one with that acrobatic athletic as hell INT against brady wasn't it?? when we played them in 04. anybody remember that??

mikehop05
04-11-2007, 12:03 PM
and i remember him playing well in our 15-1 yr as our nickel back, i believe. maybe the reason i like him is because he was the one with that acrobatic athletic as hell INT against brady wasn't it?? when we played them in 04. anybody remember that??

was it when we beat the pats on our own field on halloween?

terribletowel39
04-11-2007, 12:07 PM
was it when we beat the pats on our own field on halloween?

ya when we beat them and broke there like 21 or 22 game winning streak.

mikehop05
04-11-2007, 12:45 PM
yeah i remember that, we beat them and philly (i think) that year to end their winning streaks

terribletowel39
04-11-2007, 12:49 PM
yeah i remember that, we beat them and philly (i think) that year to end their winning streaks

no it was them and then the next weekend the colts who were 9-0 we beat them. or maybe the other way around but either way it was the colts and pats.

mikehop05
04-11-2007, 01:33 PM
ooo yeah, we were monsters back then

p.s. apparently ginn ran in the mid 4.4's today...

another reason why i wouldnt touch him untill the second

terribletowel39
04-11-2007, 01:35 PM
ooo yeah, we were monsters back then

p.s. apparently ginn ran in the mid 4.4's today...

another reason why i wouldnt touch him untill the second

yea i read that. it said that one guy timed him at 4.51 while i don't believe he is that slow timed, and also know that he is blazing fast on the field and that his foot was probably still hurting him. but agree still wouldn't want him.

mikehop05
04-11-2007, 01:38 PM
well if he played in the SEC i wonder how gamefast he'd be

terribletowel39
04-11-2007, 01:41 PM
well if he played in the SEC i wonder how gamefast he'd be

aww now you are a hitting a soft spot. such a wonderful conference. ted ginn is about as fast as my mother when racing xavier carter. ex-LSU WR and Bennie Brazzell ex-LSU WR both going to be in the olympics next time the olympics take place. i think Brazzell already was in them.

mikehop05
04-11-2007, 01:44 PM
im just saying yeah ginn is faster than the big 10... but thats really not saying much

im an ACC guy myself, gotta love my terps but in the past 5 years as far as speed goes SEC > all other confrences

brat316
04-11-2007, 02:57 PM
Carter wasnt really a football player, he never saw time, and just cause he is a track star doesnt mean that he is going to be great in pads.

Ginn is fast but hes like Dontae Hall when it comes to being a WR average, give him the ball on the reverse he might take it all the way for punts and kicks all the way as a WR he is a good candadiate for the speed slot guy.

ACC yeah go U

terribletowel39
04-11-2007, 04:16 PM
Carter wasnt really a football player, he never saw time, and just cause he is a track star doesnt mean that he is going to be great in pads.

Ginn is fast but hes like Dontae Hall when it comes to being a WR average, give him the ball on the reverse he might take it all the way for punts and kicks all the way as a WR he is a good candadiate for the speed slot guy.

ACC yeah go U

yea no i know carter wasn't a football player. i was just bringing up a guy that was faster than him, well two guys that played ball even though sometimes i wish they would have atleast coached him up on like holding onto the ball and maybe tackling technique, can you image him as a gunner?? haha. and i totally agree with the Dante Hall WR comparison. he will only be an average WR and be used for screens and quick ins and things of that nature. something to get him the ball quick and let him do something with it.

Mr. Stiller
04-11-2007, 09:20 PM

Yea. We beat NE 40-21 I believe then next week slapped the TO Eagles 27-7.

Unfortunately those were the superbowl teams.

Mr. Stiller
04-11-2007, 09:24 PM
yea no i know carter wasn't a football player. i was just bringing up a guy that was faster than him, well two guys that played ball even though sometimes i wish they would have atleast coached him up on like holding onto the ball and maybe tackling technique, can you image him as a gunner?? haha. and i totally agree with the Dante Hall WR comparison. he will only be an average WR and be used for screens and quick ins and things of that nature. something to get him the ball quick and let him do something with it.

Ginn wasn't completely healed. He was timed in the 4.38 to 4.42 in 3 different runs.

It was noticeable when he was running routes that his foot gave out on short and medium routes.

Teams are wondering when he'll be 100%... sucks for us, too bad he wouldn't push down a better player.

mikehop05
04-11-2007, 09:41 PM
Ginn wasn't completely healed. He was timed in the 4.38 to 4.42 in 3 different runs.

It was noticeable when he was running routes that his foot gave out on short and medium routes.

Teams are wondering when he'll be 100%... sucks for us, too bad he wouldn't push down a better player.

true, but i heard his 40's were between 4.42 and 4.49

Mr. Stiller
04-11-2007, 09:52 PM
true, but i heard his 40's were between 4.42 and 4.49

nope confirmed between 4,38 and 4.42

mikehop05
04-11-2007, 10:00 PM
where?? link?

Mr. Stiller
04-11-2007, 10:06 PM
where?? link?

It's posted on the IN section of Steelers.scout.com

mikehop05
04-11-2007, 10:09 PM
oh well aight then, ima hit the bar, ill post later when im good and drunk

terribletowel39
04-12-2007, 11:14 AM
oh well aight then, ima hit the bar, ill post later when im good and drunk

still not good and drunk??

brat316
04-12-2007, 11:17 AM
Anyone think if Starks plays well this year we might end up keeping him give him like a 4 or 5 yr deal

terribletowel39
04-12-2007, 12:01 PM
Anyone think if Starks plays well this year we might end up keeping him give him like a 4 or 5 yr deal

oh yea. if he plays up to par we will keep him. he is young and was expected to be a goodun. depending on who we draft or whatever, i say he stays, but if we draft say Staley, then i think he moves to RT and lets staley hop on LT.

mikehop05
04-12-2007, 12:47 PM
still not good and drunk??

last night was a **** show, i could barely find my bed muchless type anything

steel man
04-12-2007, 02:30 PM
no it was them and then the next weekend the colts who were 9-0 we beat them. or maybe the other way around but either way it was the colts and pats.
it was the Pats then Philly, because thats the year that we went to the AFC championship game against the Pats and the Pats and Philly both played in the SB and we beat both and they were undefeated at the time

mikehop05
04-12-2007, 11:12 PM
it was the Pats then Philly, because thats the year that we went to the AFC championship game against the Pats and the Pats and Philly both played in the SB and we beat both and they were undefeated at the time

hah! knew it!

Mr. Stiller
04-13-2007, 12:33 AM
oh yea. if he plays up to par we will keep him. he is young and was expected to be a goodun. depending on who we draft or whatever, i say he stays, but if we draft say Staley, then i think he moves to RT and lets staley hop on LT.

2 Guys to look in as 6th rounders to UDFA as LT's.

Jason Capizzi, LT, IUP
Chase Johnson, LT, Wyoming.

Both are 6'8/6'9 320+lbs, and are just walls.

Both are developemental prospects. But Capizzi, at that size, runs a 5.2 40' and has scouts raving about his footwork. I take a rd 6 flier on him as worst case scenario he could play RT. If he shows ability to play LT in 2 years, don't need an LT next year. If he's a RT through and Through make LT a priority next year.

terribletowel39
04-13-2007, 12:26 PM

hah! knew it!

bah humbug. way to prove me wrong steel man, i thought i was right and so did mike. dammit.

steel man
04-20-2007, 12:22 AM
just thought you guys might like to see the next 2 years
http://steelers.scout.com/3/fschedule.html

steel man
04-20-2007, 12:28 AM
i wanted to put my 500th post on the Steelers board

500 baby!

steel man
04-20-2007, 12:29 AM
i am a rookie no more!

terribletowel39
04-20-2007, 06:43 PM
congrats.

did anyone hear that faneca is not going to this minicamp either?? why is he being such a little female dog?? just because he doesn't like the choice of the coach?? he plays for the steelers and came from LSU, i love me some faneca usually, but his ass is being such a little girl.

mikehop05
04-20-2007, 06:47 PM
congrats.

did anyone hear that faneca is not going to this minicamp either?? why is he being such a little female dog?? just because he doesn't like the choice of the coach?? he plays for the steelers and came from LSU, i love me some faneca usually, but his ass is being such a little girl.

yeah that and his contract, which he has 1 more year of, he is pissin me off though, i wonder if he'll come to the mandatory camps

terribletowel39
04-20-2007, 06:55 PM
yeah that and his contract, which he has 1 more year of, he is pissin me off though, i wonder if he'll come to the mandatory camps
yea is generally upsetting me as well. and i hope he goes the mandatory ones. may 11th right??

mikehop05
04-20-2007, 07:00 PM
yea is generally upsetting me as well. and i hope he goes the mandatory ones. may 11th right??

yezzir i believe so

JayA55
04-20-2007, 11:06 PM
"It will definitely be different because Coach (Bill) Cowher was here before I got here," explained Roethlisberger. "Our relationship wasn't great because he was here before I got here and I was just a young kid. Coach Tomlin and I are rookies together in a sense so I think we will have a better relationship."

I don't want to read too much into that, but it doesn't seem like Bill and Ben were exactly best of friends.

mikehop05
04-21-2007, 12:09 AM
"It will definitely be different because Coach (Bill) Cowher was here before I got here," explained Roethlisberger. "Our relationship wasn't great because he was here before I got here and I was just a young kid. Coach Tomlin and I are rookies together in a sense so I think we will have a better relationship."

I don't want to read too much into that, but it doesn't seem like Bill and Ben were exactly best of friends.

yeah, though its weird that cowher wanted to play ben so badly so early against jacksonville, etc., when he shouldnt have played

glennjamen3
04-21-2007, 06:15 PM
does anybody else think this ben/cowher thing is just ridiculously blown out of proportion?

DeathbyStat
04-21-2007, 06:39 PM
Indeed all he said was he that he wasn't there when Cowher got there so they didn't have the best personal relation......i don't think the relationship was bad he just wasn't buddy..buddy with him.

Maybe Ben didn't feel like he was one of Cowher's guys...like Joey Porter

Mr. Stiller
04-21-2007, 11:38 PM
does anybody else think this ben/cowher thing is just ridiculously blown out of proportion?

Like the Alan Faneca thing?

steel man
04-22-2007, 12:44 AM
Indeed all he said was he that he wasn't there when Cowher got there so they didn't have the best personal relation......i don't think the relationship was bad he just wasn't buddy..buddy with him.

Maybe Ben didn't feel like he was one of Cowher's guys...like Joey Porter

thats what i think also, if Cowher had stayed and Ben cont. to play and be tough like he has shown then he would have been a Cowher guy and they would have been buddy buddy, but you have to build those kind of relationships.

brat316
04-27-2007, 09:34 PM
Hopefully Ben wont suck this comming season, and we keep running hard, i hope we dont run out of like 3 and 4 WR sets

Mr. Stiller
04-28-2007, 12:11 AM
Hopefully Ben wont suck this comming season, and we keep running hard, i hope we dont run out of like 3 and 4 WR sets

It's going to happen. You have to play to your players strengths..

Not try to put square pegs in round holes.

brat316
04-28-2007, 02:50 AM
yo we were good running out of the base formation and 2 TE sets if we move to mulitple WR set then we really dont have a need at FB, you can then make FB/TE one position

Mr. Stiller
04-28-2007, 10:24 AM
yo we were good running out of the base formation and 2 TE sets if we move to mulitple WR set then we really dont have a need at FB, you can then make FB/TE one position

You could use an H-Back in that situation... Which is essentially what Leonard is.

However, we'll still use the Power I... just you'll see more ZBS, and 3-4WR sets.

JayA55
04-28-2007, 11:33 PM
looks like they're leaning to a lot of 3 TE sets now.

mikehop05
04-29-2007, 12:16 AM
yeah bruce said he likes 3 te's

i am intrigued as to what we do

CDub
05-04-2007, 03:31 AM
I see a lot of 2 TE/single back sets with Spaeth staying in to block and Heath running routs down the middle with Hines and Holmes running out and crossing routes and then running out of the same formation with eaither TE sliding from one side to the other pre-snap. A lot of versatility from this formation.

hcbrad08
05-04-2007, 05:01 AM
Hey guys, I'm a Jets fan and I was just wondering if anyone who lives Pittsburgh can give me some insight on Darrelle Revis. I've seen him play on TV and I know he's a good corner, but usually people who may have seen players play in person have a better understanding of why they are good/bad what their strengths/weaknesses are. I dunno I just thought I'd throw that out there for the steel city to answer if you've ever been to any panthers games, thanks for any input.

Mr. Stiller
05-06-2007, 12:47 PM
Hey guys, I'm a Jets fan and I was just wondering if anyone who lives Pittsburgh can give me some insight on Darrelle Revis. I've seen him play on TV and I know he's a good corner, but usually people who may have seen players play in person have a better understanding of why they are good/bad what their strengths/weaknesses are. I dunno I just thought I'd throw that out there for the steel city to answer if you've ever been to any panthers games, thanks for any input.

He's a lock down corner, great hands, great returner.. isn't afraid to attack Running backs. If he reaches his potential.. there is a very good chance you could make an argument between Champ and Revis.

brat316
05-10-2007, 02:37 PM
How is the LB battles going to work who is likely to start where

terribletowel39
05-10-2007, 02:40 PM
i think just going on our usual self that no rookies will start. it will be Harrison Farrior Foote Haggans

Mr. Stiller
05-10-2007, 06:59 PM
I agree.. at first we'll see

ROLB: Harrison -> Timmons
RILB: Foote -> Kriedwaldt
LILB: Farrior -> Wallace
LOLB: Haggans -> Woodley

I think we'll see Timmons and Woodley however as Passrushers earlier in the season than we normally see rookies..

But hell.. Kendrell Bell won a spot in Rookie camp.. it's too early to call.

brat316
05-11-2007, 11:34 PM
I miss Bell he was good playing with us, then he got injured and then injured again then we didnt sign him, the KC sign him and now he blows

I like Harrison starting give him a shot after being with us for 4 years.
Foote and Haggans are still in their prime and capable of playing 6 and 8 yrs in the league
Farrior might want to look over his shoulder, can Timmons play inside if he can better watch out 11 yrs in the league old man

mikehop05
05-12-2007, 06:26 AM
I miss Bell he was good playing with us, then he got injured and then injured again then we didnt sign him, the KC sign him and now he blows

I like Harrison starting give him a shot after being with us for 4 years.
Foote and Haggans are still in their prime and capable of playing 6 and 8 yrs in the league
Farrior might want to look over his shoulder, can Timmons play inside if he can better watch out 11 yrs in the league old man

yeah timmons can and will play inside imo,

next year he will fight farrior for PT

Mr. Stiller
05-12-2007, 01:21 PM
yeah timmons can and will play inside imo,

next year he will fight farrior for PT

wait until you see the draft i have set thus far in mocks for 08.. our LB core is absolutely ridiculous.

mikehop05
05-13-2007, 12:08 AM
wait until you see the draft i have set thus far in mocks for 08.. our LB core is absolutely ridiculous.

lol im sure you're wetting yourself with the mocks of 2 #1's

keep dreaming though ;)

brat316
05-13-2007, 12:12 AM
how about fanaca bizoching out and saying hes not going to play next year, yes part or most of it is the steelers fault. I guess i would act like that also if a team did that

Mr. Stiller
05-13-2007, 10:18 PM
how about fanaca bizoching out and saying hes not going to play next year, yes part or most of it is the steelers fault. I guess i would act like that also if a team did that

I think something happened.. I've heard some news and promised that I won't release it ( I know that doesn't help the credibility)... but the Rooneys aren't all they're cracked up to be.

As for Timmons pushing Farrior.. Nah.

If Timmons moves inside, it'll be to Mack and Foote will slide over to Buck.

Mr. Stiller
05-13-2007, 10:31 PM

Here's my issue.

Sure he wants a contract, but 98% of NFL Players don't get re-signed until either the eve of their contract being up, or post contract... Faneca has a season left and he's throwing a fit. I agree that he's done a lot for the franchise, but think of it this way...

If the NFL were like Baseball, sure we could pay Faneca all he wants for his past achievements, however there is a cap, and we can only pay Alan for what he'll do in the future, not because of what he did in the past.

Now I know thats harsh and I hate it, but there's not a whole lot We can do as fans, and I like the cap because it keeps things competitive, and it sucks to see your franchise like this, but frankly, the Rooneys are one of the best at paying guys that do their jobs.. I mean, think about it, we could have upgraded Tuman, Haggans, Kreidwaldt, Kirschke in FA, but we paid them and kept them around...

But I think we knew it was going to happen, and Something happened between the Rooneys and Faneca that frankly, no one is aware of.

brat316
05-14-2007, 05:13 PM
Nah i really love the cap that way things dont get out of control, though NFL and NFLPA need to decide when to bring the cap back down or stop it from growing like crazy every year, and then pretty soon like backups will be getting big contracts.

If the NFL decided to leave a permenant cap of where it wouldnt grow say for the next 5 yrs then there would be a major shake up players getting cut, contract not into crazy dollar amounts.

Like Clements 7yrs 80 million

CDub
05-14-2007, 05:34 PM
The problem is that the NFLPA would never go for something like that and the reason is that during the period of time, however long it is, that the cap would not grow the NFL's revenue would could continue to grow and thusly the percentage that the players recieve would drop. After working to get their percentage up to where it is now, the players would never go for something that gives them less, and so, as the NFL's revenue continues to go up, so will the salary cap.

brat316
05-14-2007, 06:54 PM
yeah then soon its going to meaning less to have a cap