PDA

View Full Version : Carolina Panthers Discussion

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

JustJoe2k5
01-20-2007, 11:37 AM
Don't know what to say about the Tim Lewis move, don't know much about the guy. He'll have some talent to work with though, Ken Lucas and Richard Marshall are solid and perhaps he can work some type of magic with Chris Gamble to return him to his Pro Bowl-caliber form. The most important move is to find some talented cornerback depth, either through free agency or the draft.

JPF
01-20-2007, 03:02 PM
Safety is a more pressing need since it's starters we need at those positions.

JustJoe2k5
01-22-2007, 05:52 PM
Scott Wright reported that our scout at the Senior Bowl talked with Brady Quinn for about fifteen minutes.

My guess is if Brady Quinn experiences a Matt Leinart-like fall if the Detroit Lions don't take him, the Panthers may trade up one or two spots to draft him. I doubt they attempt to trade all the way up to #1 or #2 before the draft.

ShutDwn
01-22-2007, 07:22 PM
Scott Wright reported that our scout at the Senior Bowl talked with Brady Quinn for about fifteen minutes.

My guess is if Brady Quinn experiences a Matt Leinart-like fall if the Detroit Lions don't take him, the Panthers may trade up one or two spots to draft him. I doubt they attempt to trade all the way up to #1 or #2 before the draft.

Very interesting. Perhaps the Weis influence is enough to push Fox and take Quinn?

JustJoe2k5
01-22-2007, 07:58 PM

Very interesting. Perhaps the Weis influence is enough to push Fox and take Quinn?

I wouldn't be surprised. From what I hear, the two communicate nearly every week and Weis probably brought up Brady Quinn's NFL potential. Fox probably dismissed it until Jake Delhomme was injured and Chris Weinke showed his worth. After that, I think Fox and the front office became much more receptive to Weis' pitches. I still don't believe we'll make some blockbuster deal to move to #1, but if he is around at #8 perhaps we could work a deal with Houston to move ahead of Miami who would be the only real threat to draft Quinn before #14. Who knows, Quinn may fall to #14 naturally which would really work in our favor.

JustJoe2k5
01-22-2007, 09:09 PM
Scott says the Panthers also talked to Joe Staley and Michael Griffin. Two prospects I really like at two positions of need. In my opinion, Griffin would be a perfect fit for our team.

ShutDwn
01-22-2007, 09:29 PM
Scott says the Panthers also talked to Joe Staley and Michael Griffin. Two prospects I really like at two positions of need. In my opinion, Griffin would be a perfect fit for our team.

Griffin could be available in the second, that would be such an amazing pick.

ShutDwn
01-22-2007, 09:34 PM
Gattis is an interesting guy. He could also be a steal, if he is as good as an athlete as thought.

JustJoe2k5
01-22-2007, 11:05 PM

Griffin could be available in the second, that would be such an amazing pick.

If we were able to draft Griffin in the second round, it would probably be a bigger steal than Richard Marshall was last year.

JPF
01-23-2007, 06:36 PM
Looks like Davidson is the new OC.

JustJoe2k5
01-23-2007, 07:19 PM
I like this move. Hopefully, he can repeat what he was able to do with the offensive line and tight ends in New England. Perhaps Daniel Graham becomes an option in free agency now? And Brady Quinn becomes a bigger option in the draft with Davidson's connections to Charlie Weis.

ShutDwn
01-23-2007, 09:42 PM
I like this move. Hopefully, he can repeat what he was able to do with the offensive line and tight ends in New England. Perhaps Daniel Graham becomes an option in free agency now? And Brady Quinn becomes a bigger option in the draft with Davidson's connections to Charlie Weis.

Yep. I really want to know what type of style he will bring.

fondoffilm
01-23-2007, 10:08 PM
Jeff Davidson? Whazzupwitdat?

JPF
01-23-2007, 10:40 PM

I had wondered about that myself.

Also heard that with Magazu moving over to coach the o-line that leaves an opening at TE coach, which it appears Davidson may try to push for Ben Coates to get.

pantherzfan28
01-24-2007, 06:49 PM
ok im sure u guys are tired of hearing my qb idea but troy smith came at 6'0 and anyone think carolina will take stanton

ShutDwn
01-24-2007, 07:06 PM
I don't like Stanton. No consistancy, spread offense, makes mistakes that Delhomme does.

JustJoe2k5
01-24-2007, 11:04 PM
Scouts talked to Tyler Palko today, which means we have been connected to a quarterback on all three days of Senior Bowl practice: Brady Quinn on Monday, Drew Stanton on Tuesday, and Palko today. Definitely is a sign that will we look to address quarterback as early as possible in the draft.

Quinn is the safest option, but also the least likely.

Stanton would likely be a second-round option, but I agree with ShutDwn that he has the mental toughness of a twelve-year-old. People point to the comeback against Northwestern, but you can't ignore his absolute collapse against Notre Dame. Always seemed lost under pressure, which isn't the kind of mentality I want in our quarterback of the future.

ShutDwn
01-25-2007, 02:07 PM
http://www.gastongazette.com/sections/sports/panthers/

Interview with Davidson. I love his answers, and also that he doesn't seem like he will accept so-so execution.

JustJoe2k5
01-25-2007, 04:52 PM
http://www.gastongazette.com/sections/sports/panthers/

Interview with Davidson. I love his answers, and also that he doesn't seem like he will accept so-so execution.

Great interview. I can't wait to see what this guy does with our offense. Sounds like the possible loss of Keyshawn Johnson may not be as much of a deal as I thought it would. Davidson seems to want to make the tight end the second option in our offense.

BlindSite
01-25-2007, 07:43 PM
Weiss is John Fox's friend. Quinn is Weiss golden boy. Davidson was weiss's disciple, Quinn would be with someone remotely familiar in coaching style.

Just musing but...

Quinn
Merriweather
Beason

4pAc
01-25-2007, 08:19 PM
Forum Mock results:
Lawrence Timmons
John Wendling
Dan Bazuin
Aundrae Allison
Kevin Kolb

Acquired:
Eric Johnson
Antonio Bryant
Greg "The Tank" Jones

Traded away:
DeShaun Foster
Drew Carter
Ma'ake Keomeatu

The only thing I would think about changing is probably Griffin in the 1st and Davis in the second

Thoughts?

JustJoe2k5
01-25-2007, 08:37 PM
Forum Mock results:
Lawrence Timmons
John Wendling
Dan Bazuin
Aundrae Allison
Kevin Kolb

Acquired:
Eric Johnson
Antonio Bryant
Greg "The Tank" Jones

Traded away:
DeShaun Foster
Drew Carter
Ma'ake Keomeatu

The only thing I would think about changing is probably Griffin in the 1st and Davis in the second

Thoughts?

I think we put together a solid forum mock draft.

Even though we made the trade prior to the real-life signing of the new offensive coordinator, Eric Johnson would be a great realistic addition since Davidson seems to want to incorporate the tight end more in the offense. Kevin Kolb is a solid addition that late in the draft and can definitely develop into our quarterback of the future.

Obviously, the trades weren't realistic due to cap hits and whatnot but the point of a forum mock draft is to have fun and address the needs of your team. I think we did that.

JustJoe2k5
01-25-2007, 08:43 PM
Weiss is John Fox's friend. Quinn is Weiss golden boy. Davidson was weiss's disciple, Quinn would be with someone remotely familiar in coaching style.

Just musing but...

Quinn
Merriweather
Beason

I like Brady Quinn in the first round for the obvious reason that he is Brady Quinn.

I like Jon Beason in the third round, although he likely will be chosen alot earlier that that. Earl Everett out of Florida is another possible option.

Wouldn't touch Meriweather though. Alot of talent, but too many character questions. Unless he saves a bus full of handicapped children between now and the draft, I don't think we'll take a chance on him.

@$#
01-26-2007, 08:50 PM
how about Rouse instead of Merriweather in the second?

JustJoe2k5
01-26-2007, 09:11 PM
Only if Rouse can prove that he can play safety at the next level. We shouldn't skip over a proven safety to take someone that could project to either safety or linebacker in the NFL. He'll also have to learn to control his emotions. I've seen this guy quite a few times in the ACC talk crap after plays and get in other guy's faces.

@$#
01-27-2007, 07:12 PM
judging by scotts sneior bowl reports he is good in coverage but i spose we will have to wait until the combine interviews to see if he is smart enough.

and i think our D could use some emotion

ShutDwn
01-27-2007, 07:50 PM
judging by scotts sneior bowl reports he is good in coverage but i spose we will have to wait until the combine interviews to see if he is smart enough.

and i think our D could use some emotion

We don't need another tweener. We need someone who is a gamer at the safety position. Laron Landry would be awesome, he has a lot of spunk.

JustJoe2k5
01-27-2007, 07:59 PM
If we don't make a move to draft Brady Quinn, we should probably look to address safety in the first round.

Linebacker is a pretty deep position this year, so we have a much better chance of finding a better player in the second round than we do at safety.

LaRon Landry is probably the best all-around safety in the draft, Reggie Nelson is probably the best hitter, and Michael Griffin is probably the best against the run.

JustJoe2k5
01-27-2007, 08:05 PM

Just musing but...

Quinn
Merriweather
Beason

I may re-think my initial statement on Meriweather. Sounds like he has impressed everyone at the Senior Bowl. Hopefully, he can impress our coaches at the combine. If the guy can prove he finally has his head on straight, I would love to see him in a Panthers' uniform.

BlindSite
01-27-2007, 11:50 PM
If we don't make a move to draft Brady Quinn, we should probably look to address safety in the first round.

Linebacker is a pretty deep position this year, so we have a much better chance of finding a better player in the second round than we do at safety.

LaRon Landry is probably the best all-around safety in the draft, Reggie Nelson is probably the best hitter, and Michael Griffin is probably the best against the run.

I gotta disagree, I think we can't get as good value in the second at linebacker than we can at safety. Weddle, Merriweather will be available where we pick. The best we could get in the second is buster davis or beason who aren't the same value as the aforementioned safeties.

ShutDwn
01-28-2007, 09:57 AM

I gotta disagree, I think we can't get as good value in the second at linebacker than we can at safety. Weddle, Merriweather will be available where we pick. The best we could get in the second is buster davis or beason who aren't the same value as the aforementioned safeties.

The so called "top" linebackers this year aren't that far from the pack, and aren't as impressive as the top Safteys.

Draft is fine if we have to go to him, thats not true for the Safety position.

David Harris would be an outstanding pick for us. We need someone who can stop the run and make plays. If we need, he can leave the field on passing downs and we will leave TD and hopefully James Anderson in.

David Harris will be the next Jeremiah Trotter.

01-29-2007, 10:58 AM
Would you guys be willing to trade your 1st RD draft pick along with your 2nd RD, and 4rth RD, for the Browns #3 overall pick and draft Brady Quinn?

Using the NFL draft value chart
Panthers are recieving 2,200 points.
Browns are recieving only 1614, so we might need a 3rd rounder enstead of the 4rth, but not sure if youll do that.

JustJoe2k5
01-29-2007, 12:57 PM
Would you guys be willing to trade your 1st RD draft pick along with your 2nd RD, and 4rth RD, for the Browns #3 overall pick and draft Brady Quinn?

Browns are recieving only 1614, so we might need a 3rd rounder enstead of the 4rth, but not sure if youll do that.

I don't think we would make that deal.

We would need our second-round pick to address either safety or linebacker. I think it is much more likely that we'll wait and see if Quinn drops to Miami at #9. There we could possibly package our first-round draft pick, third-round draft pick, and a second-day draft pick to move up a couple of spots and draft Quinn. We draft our quarterback of the future and still have our second-round pick to address the defense.

01-29-2007, 01:45 PM
Moving up 5 spots in the first round, unfortunatly will cost you more than a mid 3rd round pick and a late pick in this weak draft. And Quinn will not last until the 9th pick. Someone will trade up in the top 5 to pick him if they want him.

But at the same time, if I was the Panthers I probably wouldnt do this trade either, and as I Browns fan i really dont want to loose the 3rd pick. I just thought it was a possibility after the Panthers shown intrest in Quinn.

thanks guys

ShutDwn
01-29-2007, 02:10 PM
Moving up 5 spots in the first round, unfortunatly will cost you more than a mid 3rd round pick and a late pick in this weak draft. And Quinn will not last until the 9th pick. Someone will trade up in the top 5 to pick him if they want him.

But at the same time, if I was the Panthers I probably wouldnt do this trade either, and as I Browns fan i really dont want to loose the 3rd pick. I just thought it was a possibility after the Panthers shown intrest in Quinn.

thanks guys

Kind of like how Lienart wouldn't last till ten? Aaron Rodgers was in the fight for the number one pick too.

JustJoe2k5
01-29-2007, 02:56 PM

thanks guys

Kind of like how Lienart wouldn't last till ten? Aaron Rodgers was in the fight for the number one pick too.

Yeah, if the Browns pass on Brady Quinn. I could easily see him fall quite a bit down the board. I think our front office realized this as well, and likely wanted to talk to Quinn just in case that scenario were to happen. If he is available at #9, I really wouldn't be shocked to see some type of trade occur.

And the trade I proposed with Miami does come out roughly even on the value chart. 1,350 / 1,335. Perhaps we could throw in Keary Colbert since Miami needs some depth at wide receiver. If we were to make any kind of trade on draft day, it won't be a blockbuster into the top three picks.

If Brady Quinn is selected by the Cleveland Browns, we'll just draft a safety or linebacker at #14 and target Drew Stanton later in the draft. I would actually like to see what an offensive coordinator who was around Tom Brady throughout his maturation into a NFL quarterback can do with someone like Stanton.

HawkeyeFan
01-29-2007, 10:24 PM
Rumor is that the Panthers may try and trade Kris Jenkins for Cap Reasons. Is he a Big NT run stuffer? And what would you get/want for him?

JustJoe2k5
01-30-2007, 09:52 AM
Rumor is that the Panthers may try and trade Kris Jenkins for Cap Reasons. Is he a Big NT run stuffer? And what would you get/want for him?

Hadn't heard that rumor, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen.

Kris Jenkins is a fantastic all-around defensive tackle when motivated. Even when he isn't motivated, he is still a load in the middle of the defensive line.

With his durability questions, his value is likely a second or early third round draft pick. Which would be a steal for the team that acquires him if he returns to form.

d-dave
02-02-2007, 08:43 AM

What is the deal with this rumor? This is completely unfounded and probably something someone wrote to make some noise for their website.

Kris Jenkins will remain a Carolina Panther for 2007. He came back and finished a full season after two season ending injuries. He will continue to get healthy this off season and hopefully keep his weight under control. He got a pro bowl invite pretty much off name alone. There's no way we trade him. I believe that his contract is pretty decent right now as well. There is absolutely zero reason the Panthers would part with Jenkins when he's on his way to getting healthy again.

morknolle
02-02-2007, 11:21 AM

We would need our second-round pick to address either safety or linebacker. I think it is much more likely that we'll wait and see if Quinn drops to Miami at #9. There we could possibly package our first-round draft pick, third-round draft pick, and a second-day draft pick to move up a couple of spots and draft Quinn. We draft our quarterback of the future and still have our second-round pick to address the defense.

Out of curiosity, are you guys as high on JaMarcus Russell as you are on Quinn, i.e. if he manages to fall to the Dolphins rather than Quinn would you still be looking to make that deal. A lot of people are really high on Russell right now but I have a feeling that outside of the Raiders and maybe Vikings that any team in front of you would take Quinn over Russell, so if those two teams look elsewhere (at this point I think they will) then it could be Russell that falls instead of Quinn.

Outside of QB and Landry/Nelson, are there any other players that you're looking at? If Patrick Willis manages to fall past the 49ers, Bills, and Rams would you look to grab him? Any thoughts on Lawrence Timmons? What about Amobi Okoye if he falls to you guys, would you look at him as a replacement for the oft-injured Kris Jenkins? Any thoughts of looking at anything else on offense? Obviously TE is not a consideration this high in the draft, maybe a WR to eventually replace Keyshawn if someone like Jarrett is available, maybe look at OLine somewhere in the 1st day?

Just tossing out some thoughts, so any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

JustJoe2k5
02-02-2007, 11:47 AM

Out of curiosity, are you guys as high on JaMarcus Russell as you are on Quinn, i.e. if he manages to fall to the Dolphins rather than Quinn would you still be looking to make that deal. A lot of people are really high on Russell right now but I have a feeling that outside of the Raiders and maybe Vikings that any team in front of you would take Quinn over Russell, so if those two teams look elsewhere (at this point I think they will) then it could be Russell that falls instead of Quinn.

Outside of QB and Landry/Nelson, are there any other players that you're looking at? If Patrick Willis manages to fall past the 49ers, Bills, and Rams would you look to grab him? Any thoughts on Lawrence Timmons? What about Amobi Okoye if he falls to you guys, would you look at him as a replacement for the oft-injured Kris Jenkins? Any thoughts of looking at anything else on offense? Obviously TE is not a consideration this high in the draft, maybe a WR to eventually replace Keyshawn if someone like Jarrett is available, maybe look at OLine somewhere in the 1st day?

Just tossing out some thoughts, so any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm not sure how interested our front office is in JaMarcus Russell. I'm sure they would consider it if he was somehow available at our pick, but the only guy I could possibly see them moving up to draft would be Quinn.

Both Patrick Willis and Lawrence Timmons would receive strong consideration if Quinn or one of the top safeties isn't available. Personally, I feel we can address depth at middle linebacker later in the draft. We likely won't re-sign Na'il Diggs which will leave a hole at outside linebacker, so Timmons would be a prime target to take his place immediately.

I don't think we'll address defensive tackle at all in the draft. Behind Jenkins, we still have Maake Kemoeatu, Damione Lewis, Jordan Carstens, and Kindal Moorehead. All four have shown solid ability to start if necessary.

We may look at a tight end alot earlier than most people think this season, perhaps Greg Olsen if he is available at our second-round pick. I get the vibe from Jeff Davidson that he wants the tight end to become an important piece of our offense. The increased role of the tight end will decrease the pressure on whoever our #2 wide receiver is, which could allow Drew Carter to move into that position if Keyshawn Johnson were to retire.

Isn't really much value on the offensive line at #14. But, if all our other targets are somehow off the board we could possibly draft Levi Brown as our left tackle for the present and future.

UtepMiner
02-02-2007, 12:03 PM
Can someone enlighten me on the Panthers Linebacking situation?

From my understand Dan Morgan is going to come back next year at MLB... I know a lot Panthers fans really like Thomas Davis, does he play on the weakside or strongside? I heard you also said you probably won't re-sign Na'il Diggs.

So would Lawrence Timmons be a good pick for you guys, if both of the top safeties are gone? and do you think he would play WLB, or SLB?

BIG Country
02-02-2007, 02:11 PM
Thomas Davis plays SLB. Really in this defense they are interchangeable though. The reason most want Patrick Willis is that Morgan has never been healthy for an entire season. Even during the SB loss season he missed several games due to injury. It's not a question of IF but WHEN will Morgan be hurt again.

JustJoe2k5
02-02-2007, 02:43 PM
Thomas Davis plays SLB. Really in this defense they are interchangeable though. The reason most want Patrick Willis is that Morgan has never been healthy for an entire season. Even during the SB loss season he missed several games due to injury. It's not a question of IF but WHEN will Morgan be hurt again.

Problem I have with Patrick Willis in the first-round is that Dan Morgan could possibly have another season like '05 where he DOES avoid major injury and plays throughout most of the season. I would hate to have another first-round draft pick ride the bench the majority of his rookie season. Perhaps the one position on our roster where we need immediate help is safety. That is why I feel we should address that position in the first-round no matter what. LaRon Landry or Reggie Nelson would be great, but I feel Michael Griffin would be just as worthy of that #14 pick as either of them. Griffin has been lost in all of the hype around Landry and Nelson and he would be a perfect fit for what we need in a safety.

I suppose once the draft is here, our draft strategy will be somewhat like this:

-If Brady Quinn falls to the Miami Dolphins, attempt to work out a deal to move up and draft him. Perhaps we could unload Keary Colbert in this deal. Give him an opportunity to salvage his career in Miami.

-Stay at #14. LaRon Landry #1 option / Reggie Nelson #2 option / Michael Griffin #3 option.

-Stay at #14. If we decide to address the safety position in free agency. Lawrence Timmons #1 option / Patrick Willis #2 option.

-If there isn't a prospect of value that would fill a need, trade down.

BIG Country
02-02-2007, 04:16 PM
The thing with Willis is that he can play outside as well (Just like Morgan did his rookie year). IF Morgan stays healthy we upgraded our OLB position. If he take Timmons and Morgan gets hurt, we have to rely on Draft. In either case, Willis provides more value than Timmons. Personally I would rather grab Landry in the first and Anthony Waters in the third. Waters could fill in for Morgan WHEN he gets hurt. James Anderson also showed that he is coming along and could be the starter at WLB. He has been compared to Witherspoon.

BlindSite
02-04-2007, 12:33 AM
If the panthers take Pouz, Willis or even Timmons we could put them on the weakside, and slide them to the middle in the case of injury and simply plug in Anderson from last year, or Chris Draft.

We could take Merriweather in the second and be very comfortable with the defense we've got and then take Ben Patrick in the third and get a TE for Davidson to use and as a secondary receiving option if Keyshawn does do the bolt and we have to play revolving door at Number 2 Wideout.

JustJoe2k5
02-04-2007, 10:24 AM
Sounds like we may give Brett Basanez an opportunity to be our quarterback of the future.

Technically speaking, he's not even under contract to the team. That hasn't stopped second-year quarterback Brett Basanez from being a fixture at the stadium for workouts this offseason. He's an exclusive-rights free agent (meaning he can only negotiate with the Panthers), and hasn't signed yet. But according to a number of players and team employees, he's constantly around the facility.

Since it's far from certain that backup quarterback Chris Weinke will return, Basanez has a good chance to create a niche for himself here. If they cut Weinke, they'd likely go get another veteran to back up Jake Delhomme, but Basanez impressed the organization during his year on the practice squad and late-season call-up, and he seems very much part of the team's plans...

SchizophrenicBatman
02-04-2007, 04:24 PM
Basanez is the definition of a film study guy. I wish someone would put up the spotlight ESPN did on him at Northwestern on Youtube. It was the most bizarre thing I've ever seen, he had all these lights and **** flashing to help him read defenses. I highly doubt he's seen as our future QB, but I wouldnt mind him sticking around as a backup. Then again, maybe Davidson's offense will play to his strengths more

Willis' stock seems to have fallen to late round 1 (it never was really that high to begin with) so I wouldnt mind us trading out of 14. If that means jumping up for Quinn if he falls, so be it, but I'd rather move down and get another #2 out of it. I like Timmons as a player, but he's raw to begin with at OLB. I dont think he'd be able to play MLB anytime soon, if ever. Though, he's probably going to be the only LB who wont be viewed as a reach at 14. Poz is an option also, I guess. I still havent warmed up to taking a non-once in-a-lifetime safety that early, especially with Fox's attitude of picking up random scrubs to fill the void the last few years, but it bit him the ass in 06 so who knows. I liked Whitner a ton last year, but even though he had a solid year no one seems to think he was a major impact player

Meriweather is the best safety in this draft in my opinion, but I highly doubt we take him given his problems (whether they be overstated or not). I'm higher on some of the top safeties more than others, but I dont have major problems with any of them (even Rouse). Just no more Nate Salley's please

If Jamaal Anderson falls (doubtful) he'd be my surprise pick. Otherwise, I like what we have with McClover and the smaller DTs to take over for Rucker. Actually, I like Rucker staying and McClover playing pass downs, but meh

JustJoe2k5
02-05-2007, 03:48 PM
Don't forget Al Wallace as well. He could hold down the defensive end position until Rucker is healthy or, if Rucker doesn't return, until McClover is ready to take over.

I think we are set on the defensive line for the immediate future. Linebacker, depth at cornerback, and safety are larger needs, in my opinion, on that side of the ball.

SchizophrenicBatman
02-05-2007, 06:18 PM
Yea, like I said, DE is the surprise pick. Giants took Kiwanuka last year with Strahan, Osi and Justin Tuck and he actually ended up playing a lot due to injuries so anything could happen. And Wallace's window is closing fast. He's never been more than decent against the run and he's older than Rucker. He's not going anywhere because he only costs like $1 mil but the years where he could have been a solid starter elsewhere are probably over by now

JPF
02-06-2007, 07:49 AM
You guys trip me out, talking about Morgan staying healthy. He's played in only 58% of the games since he's been here. So he's healthy slightly more than half the time.

JustJoe2k5
02-06-2007, 11:20 AM
You guys trip me out, talking about Morgan staying healthy. He's played in only 58% of the games since he's been here. So he's healthy slightly more than half the time.

That number is dragged down a bit by two really bad seasons, this past season and '02. His other four years here he played 73% of the games. Just one season ago he played in a career high 13 games, so who are we to say he can't do it again?

BIG Country
02-06-2007, 02:51 PM
A Career 13 games says it all. The fact that he missed all of two seasons and parts of others doesn't change the fact that he's missed just over half the games in his career. This guy has never played a complete season. I wish I could work half the year and get paid my full salary. Sure must be nice.

ShutDwn
02-06-2007, 05:03 PM
Carolina is trying to make one final run before it's core players get past their window. It's almost closed. Drafting a QB early would set this team back instead of helping them. Now Jake has to play scared (similiar to Jake Plummer) where if he makes a mistake then the rookie is coming in. Jake went to the Pro Bowl last season. He still has it. The OL lost it's LT and C week 1. Our starting RT was CUT by ARIZONA. Give him a healthy OL who can protect him and you see a completely different player.

Yeah, um...

Jake making probowl in the weakest NFC in years and arguably could have been replaced by Brunell.

Our RT, Bridges, played very well, and was not a weak point on this team.

The window is still wide open, and they can keep it open even longer by getting a good young QB. The core players, Lucas, Peppers, DeAngelo, Steve, Davis, they are all here and young.

JustJoe2k5
02-06-2007, 05:40 PM
Yeah, Jeremy Bridges certainly proved that HE wasn't the problem in Arizona.

I just wonder where everyone will fit on our offensive line. Jordan Gross won't be benched, but do you really want to sit Bridges after his performance down the stretch and the recent contract extension?

Add to that a new offensive line coach and an offensive coordinator whose specialty is the offensive line and we'll likely see a few shifts across the line as the offseason progresses.

Number 10
02-06-2007, 10:39 PM
Isn't Na'il Diggs a FA?

JustJoe2k5
02-07-2007, 06:12 AM
Yeah and the early talk is he won't be brought back.

JPF
02-08-2007, 02:01 PM

That number is dragged down a bit by two really bad seasons, this past season and '02. His other four years here he played 73% of the games. Just one season ago he played in a career high 13 games, so who are we to say he can't do it again?

So your argument is basically "he's missed less than 25% of the season once in his 6 year career"? :roll:

Carolina is trying to make one final run before it's core players get past their window. It's almost closed. Drafting a QB early would set this team back instead of helping them. Now Jake has to play scared (similiar to Jake Plummer) where if he makes a mistake then the rookie is coming in. Jake went to the Pro Bowl last season. He still has it. The OL lost it's LT and C week 1. Our starting RT was CUT by ARIZONA. Give him a healthy OL who can protect him and you see a completely different player.

Wow, might be time to take off those Bojangles tinted sunglasses if you think Jake isn't part of the problem.

nicksm
02-09-2007, 10:26 AM
I think from what I have heard and what I think the Panthers should do I think they should go this route in the draft

1st Round-S or LB
I think if LaRon Landry or Reggie Nelson are available then one of them would be great choices cause Shaun Williams is not that good, Landry is probably a safer pick than Nelson but Nelson has loads of upside and is a big hitter. Patrick Willis would be a great addition to the team because he is a soild player on and off the field and a good man in the locker room

2nd Round-S or LB (depending where they go 1st round)
If they go LB than I think Brandon Meriweather would be a good choice or if they go S than Buster Davis or H.B. Blades would be solid LB's that could play right away

3rd Round-TE or a Big Brusing RB
I love Scott Chandler and we need a TE, sure he is not the greatest blocker but I think at 6-7 he could be a great TE in the NFL and I am from Big Ten country and have seen him play many times, also we need a big brusing RB like they had in S.Davis, get rid of Foster and give DW the starting job with a big RB to spell him

4th and 5th-Big RB and QB
need a backup that can play better than Wienke if Delhomme goes down again

Scott Wright
02-09-2007, 04:23 PM
Come on, no Panthers fans on these boards?

I am running Carolina in the fantasy offseason ( http://nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=18 ) and am open to suggestions. You can either post them here or PM me. No guranteeing I will act on them but I will listen.

UtepMiner
02-09-2007, 05:35 PM
Yeah, Jeremy Bridges certainly proved that HE wasn't the problem in Arizona.

I just wonder where everyone will fit on our offensive line. Jordan Gross won't be benched, but do you really want to sit Bridges after his performance down the stretch and the recent contract extension?

Add to that a new offensive line coach and an offensive coordinator whose specialty is the offensive line and we'll likely see a few shifts across the line as the offseason progresses.
Why not move Bridges inside to a starting Guard spot? It's great thing to have O-line depth, now you know if someone at T goes down again Bridges could slide back out.

JustJoe2k5
02-09-2007, 09:35 PM
Come on, no Panthers fans on these boards?

I am running Carolina in the fantasy offseason ( http://nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=18 ) and am open to suggestions. You can either post them here or PM me. No guranteeing I will act on them but I will listen.

What are you plans as far as free agency?

Realistically, Daniel Graham is one guy I definitely could see the Panthers targeting. Davidson wants the tight end to have an increased role in the offense, Davidson worked with Graham throughout his time in New England.

As far as the draft, defense should be the main focus of atleast the first two rounds. Safety in the first, linebacker in the second, or the other way around wherever there is value. Middle linebacker as been noted as a weakness, but many neglect to realize that Na'il Diggs likely won't be back and that will open up a spot beside Dan Morgan and Thomas Davis if we are unable to re-sign Chris Draft.

Third round should probably be where you look to address quarterback. Fourth round is a toss-up, although we certainly could use some more talent at cornerback in case injuries strike again.

JPF
02-09-2007, 11:54 PM
OLB is an overrated need. Everyone seems to forget we drafted one on day one last year. I'm not saying we won't draft one, but it would probably have to be just outrageous value.

JustJoe2k5
02-10-2007, 06:55 AM
OLB is an overrated need. Everyone seems to forget we drafted one on day one last year. I'm not saying we won't draft one, but it would probably have to be just outrageous value.

I like James Anderson, but I don't know if he'll be ready to start next season. Best case scenario would be that we re-sign Chris Draft and move him to outside linebacker, if we are unable to re-sign Draft we will need to address outside linebacker sooner rather than later.

JPF
02-10-2007, 11:47 AM
If we lose Draft, we lose our only viable back-up at MLB. So it would make MLB a pressing need, not OLB. As much as you're trying to see the "silver lining" in Dan Morgan, we just can not go into another season without someone to groom as his long term replacement.

Diggs was never going to be brought back unless he just had an outstanding year, and then we wouldn't have had the caproom to resign him. So really, he was never coming back. He was a one year quick fix while we groomed someone to take over the position longterm IMHO.

BlindSite
02-11-2007, 02:25 AM
Sign Daniel Graham, Draft Willis, Then the best safety available. Alternatively sign the best FA MLB/WLB or Safety and draft the other two position of needs.

JustJoe2k5
02-12-2007, 04:23 PM
Mel Kiper thinks we'll take Dwayne Bowe in the first round.

That would be a waste of a first-round pick, even if Keyshawn were to retire.

JustJoe2k5
02-12-2007, 04:27 PM
Sign Daniel Graham, Draft Willis, Then the best safety available. Alternatively sign the best FA MLB/WLB or Safety and draft the other two position of needs.

If either Landry or Nelson is available at #14, I think they would need to be the pick. Our secondary was much worse than our linebackers were throughout the year. Atleast Dan Morgan has the potential to be a difference-maker when he is on the field. Mike Minter and Shaun Williams, at this point in their careers, are a step slower than every wide receiver they face.

BlindSite
02-13-2007, 02:42 AM
I'd agree with Landry, not Nelson. I don't think he'd be such a good fit for our scheme. I think Landry could be great.

BIG Country
02-16-2007, 11:16 AM
Dan Morgan has restructured to the league minimum and Carolina no longer owes him the $2 mil roster bonus.

Morgan to return to Panthers for league minimum in ’07
by Steve Reed
Gazette Sports Reporter

CHARLOTTE — Concussion-plagued Carolina Panthers middle linebacker Dan Morgan will likely return for another season with the team after agreeing to a restructured contract that includes playing for the NFL veteran minimum base salary this season.

According to NFL Players Association documents, Morgan’s base salary for 2007 is currently listed as $750,000, the minimum salary for a player with six years of NFL experience.

It’s unclear if the deal includes some type of playing time or performance incentives.

Morgan’s agent Drew Rosenhaus refused to comment on the restructured contract, which actually adds a year to Morgan’s current deal by a year, running through the 2010 season. That move is merely designed to spread out the salary cap hit from the signing bonus Morgan received in 2005. Carolina general manager Marty Hurney did not return phone calls, but the team’s policy has always been to not comment on restructured contracts.

The new deal protects the Panthers financially in the event Morgan suffers a sixth career concussion.

After sustaining a head injury last year in the preseason, Morgan returned for the season opener and only to suffer his fifth known concussion in six NFL seasons in a loss to the Atlanta Falcons on opening day. A few weeks later, concussion specialists in Pennsylvania recommended he sit out the season, allowing his head to heal.

Morgan was placed on injured reserve, but was cleared last month to play in 2007.

Morgan might have been waived by the Panthers this offseason. But the new deal likely means he will be back with the team this season, providing he can make it through training camp and the preseason without suffering another concussion.

However, if he’s injured or is cut this summer, the Panthers would not lose any additional money.

Regardless of Morgan’s future status, the team is still on the hook for $3.6 million in signing bonus money — the remaining portion of the signing bonus he received after inking a five-year, $25 million contract extension before the start of the 2005 season.

It’s almost a certainty the Panthers will protect themselves by adding at least one middle linebacker in free agency or in the NFL draft this offseason. Chris Draft, who started 13 games at middle linebacker last year, is an unrestricted free agent.

The restructured deal is also good for Morgan because it affords him an opportunity to prove to the Panthers, as well as the rest of the league, that he has recovered from the series of head injuries and can still play at a high level.

Although he will not receive the $2 million signing bonus he was due to make this April — there was no chance the team was going to give him that money given his history of concussions — Morgan stands a chance to earn significantly more money over the next four seasons if he can stay healthy.

According to the NFLPA, his base salary will jump to $2.85 million in 2008, $4.25 million in 2009 and to $5.38 million in 2010. The move will save Carolina more than $2 million toward next season's salary cap.

“I’m not (hesitant) at all,” Morgan told reporters Jan. 1, the day after the Panthers season ended. “I feel fine. From the outside people are always going to draw their own conclusions about how I feel and what happened. But I feel great. I’ve had a lot of time to heal up. I feel ready to play and I’m excited to come back next season.”

A first-round draft pick out of Miami in 2001, Morgan is an extremely talented player with outstanding speed and ability to run from sideline to sideline.

In Carolina’s Super Bowl XXXVIII loss to the New England Patriots, Morgan had 25 tackles.

Morgan’s problem has never been his skill, but his injury problems. Since coming to the Panthers, he’s never played in a full 16-game season. Last season, Morgan even invested in a $20,000 hyper baric chamber and brought it to training camp, but the experiment failed to prevent another concussion.

JustJoe2k5
02-16-2007, 12:24 PM
Great move. When you look at other Miami players in the NFL, it looks like we may have actually found one without an ego.

heavyduty
02-16-2007, 03:26 PM
so how do you guys feel about our new O-Coordinator? Think we will see more pass, and less run? Or a pretty balanced offense? I will admit, I wasnt a big Dan Henning fan, I understand he got us to a super bowl and all, but some of his play calls this year were ridiculous.... Putting Deangelo in the backfield without a QB was pretty funny, and it seemed to work, but it just got old after a while, and you begin to wonder what henning was thinking...

Dillen
02-16-2007, 03:32 PM
Mel Kiper thinks we'll take Dwayne Bowe in the first round.

That would be a waste of a first-round pick, even if Keyshawn were to retire.
He had the Eagles taking Tim Crowder in the first. He's abysmal at best with mock drafts.

JustJoe2k5
02-16-2007, 03:37 PM
I'll wait and see. In his interview on Panthers.com, Davidson said he thinks alot like John Fox in that he wants to establish the run. However, he also said that he wouldn't be stubborn and continue to run the ball if it isn't effective, which is a problem we had this season. He wants to add some dimensions to the passing game and make it more than just Steve Smith. Early comments make it seem like he wants to greatly increase the role of the tight end in our offense, which is why I believe Daniel Graham will be our key target in free agency. I am definitely excited to see what he can do and think it was a much better choice than anyone from within the organization who would essentially have the same philosophy as Henning.

UtepMiner
02-17-2007, 01:42 AM
Thoughts on my Panthers first day mock?

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/8665/panthersmockuz7.png

JustJoe2k5
02-17-2007, 10:20 AM
I like it. I really like the thought of Greg Olsen in a Panthers' jersey.

BIG Country
02-17-2007, 10:43 AM
It's now coming out that the writer of that article was a little overzealous and that Morgan DID NOT restructure. If you look at his contract after the extension, he was scheduled to make $750,000 this season which is the vet minimum. That means the team is still on hook for the $2 mil roster bonus in March.

fondoffilm
02-18-2007, 01:04 AM
What's the status on Eric Shelton?

BigDawg819
02-18-2007, 03:44 PM
Thoughts on my Panthers first day mock?

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/8665/panthersmockuz7.png

Getting Olsen at 47 would be a huge steal! I've been watching him and he truly is a stud coming out, definitely a safety valve that would benefit Jake and take some pressure off of Steve Smith.

BlindSite
02-19-2007, 12:13 AM

Unlucky. As far as I'm concerned he's a misused talent. Good hands, good size/speed combo and he runs well. I don't know why he's never been given more of a chance than he has to be honest. I think he pissed in Dan Henning's cornflakes or something. Hopefully Davidson uses him more often.

SchizophrenicBatman
02-19-2007, 03:49 PM
So...we released Al Wallace

I guess this means Rucker is staying or we're taking a DE early. I mean, I like McClover, but he's not ready to start next year

ShutDwn
02-19-2007, 06:32 PM

Unlucky. As far as I'm concerned he's a misused talent. Good hands, good size/speed combo and he runs well. I don't know why he's never been given more of a chance than he has to be honest. I think he pissed in Dan Henning's cornflakes or something. Hopefully Davidson uses him more often.

Well, he gets a new shot because the offense is going to be re-evaluated, and he could get a fair shot.

JustJoe2k5
02-19-2007, 07:41 PM
So...we released Al Wallace

I guess this means Rucker is staying or we're taking a DE early. I mean, I like McClover, but he's not ready to start next year

Don't understand that move. He was solid and could've started until Rucker was completely healthy. Now, we'll surely need to find someone early in the draft.

JustJoe2k5
02-19-2007, 07:45 PM

Well, he gets a new shot because the offense is going to be re-evaluated, and he could get a fair shot.

Hopefully, he'll be able to catch on. If he can be the player our scouts thought he was, Williams / Shelton could be quite the duo. If we enter this season with DeShaun Foster as our starter, I'll be pissed.

BlindSite
02-20-2007, 06:27 AM
Foster should be cut, it would save us over 2 mill.

ShutDwn
02-20-2007, 02:26 PM
Foster should be cut, it would save us over 2 mill.

Yeah, it will be interesting. Al Wallace got cut btw

nicksm
02-21-2007, 02:19 PM
if we could get out of the first day with landry/r.nelson/p.wills in round 1, b.davis/h.b. blades/b.merriweather round 2, and scott chandler round 3 i would be very pleased. idk how much other nfl teams would value foster (I think he still has great potential but we really don't need him) but with michael bush falling quite a bit we could trade foster for a pick or something that involves foster to get Michael Bush who some say could fall to late 2nd/early 3rd. DeAngelo and M.Bush would be a great combo. I think Eric Shelton is done for although it seemed like he was going to be a good back. Bush could be that north/south back that we need+bush has some quickness to go with his power

ShutDwn
02-21-2007, 03:10 PM
if we could get out of the first day with landry/r.nelson/p.wills in round 1, b.davis/h.b. blades/b.merriweather round 2, and scott chandler round 3 i would be very pleased. idk how much other nfl teams would value foster (I think he still has great potential but we really don't need him) but with michael bush falling quite a bit we could trade foster for a pick or something that involves foster to get Michael Bush who some say could fall to late 2nd/early 3rd. DeAngelo and M.Bush would be a great combo. I think Eric Shelton is done for although it seemed like he was going to be a good back. Bush could be that north/south back that we need+bush has some quickness to go with his power

Bring in Bush would just be bringing in another Shelton, a big man who doesn't run like a big man.

JustJoe2k5
02-21-2007, 08:32 PM

Bring in Bush would just be bringing in another Shelton, a big man who doesn't run like a big man.

Agreed. Best power runningback in the draft is Tony Hunt, who I would really consider if he is available at our third-round pick.

Perhaps we could shop Foster to a team like Denver or Houston, where they have a scheme that any runningback could succeed in. Foster still has some tools, but he isn't a compliment to DeAngelo Williams and Williams is our present and future at the position.

ShutDwn
02-21-2007, 09:28 PM
Brian Lenard could be better, but he could also be gone the same time hunt is.

nicksm
02-22-2007, 01:59 PM
yeah I agree that Tony Hunt would be a good pick as well

BlindSite
02-23-2007, 04:04 AM
I think we'd be ok with Goings, Shelton, Williams as long as we could get the passing offense clicking how it needs to be.

SchizophrenicBatman
02-23-2007, 03:09 PM
Goings Shelton Williams + a flyer on someone like Nate Ilaoa who can maybe try out kick returns too in the 6/7th/UDFA is how I'd handle it but I'd say its highly likely Foster will be back next season

Also wouldnt be surprised if Shelton is gone and we bring in a real power guy like Hunt or Dwayne Wright. I like Wright (and Hunt) for that matter, so wouldnt be too disappointed if this happened

02-24-2007, 07:33 PM
Honestly I think that Reggie Nelson is overrated and his fundamentals are poor he is a flashy tackler but he missed some very easy tackles this year at UF which were overshadowed by his huge hits. If the Panthers want a safety they should take someone solid like the guy from UT or Landry. Personally the biggest need is the Panthers are one tackle short from having a good o-line. If we can get a good enough or servicable LT we can put Gross at his more natural RT position and put Wharton as a G. As far as center, Hartenger was not very good but apparently the coaches are high on Montgomery anchoring the O-line at C if Hartwig can not recover. As far as offense, I think that Fox is against drafting QBs and he likes to pick up solid vets in FA. Every time the Panthers are projected to pick a TE they dont so I doubt they will pick one in the draft esp day one, but with the new OC's history of being a TE guru this would be the year. Lastly i think the greatest need on the Panthers is a solid return man because an extra 15 20 yards every drive would really make it easier on Jake and let us settle down more. It is clear that when the Panthers are backed up in their endzone they do not preform well on offense.

JustJoe2k5
02-25-2007, 09:28 AM
I wouldn't mind a franchise left tackle that could add some much-needed stability to our offensive line, but I don't know if I would want to push Jeremy Bridges to the bench. When he was added to the lineup last year, he added some stability to the lineup and the offensive line performed the best they had all year. I wouldn't be shocked if we entered next year with the same offensive line, except that we may add some experienced depth through free agency.

If Houston will take a third-round draft pick for David Carr, I would look to make that deal. Give him the preseason to see if a new environment helps him, sit him behind Jake Delhomme for one season, then let Carr take over for the foreseeable future.

At tight end, Greg Olsen could be dynamic but I don't think we'll have a shot at him. #14 would be too high and he'll be picked before our second-round pick.

As for special teams, Josh Wilson out of Maryland would be a solid third or fourth-round pick. Adds depth at cornerback, which we need, and is an explosive kick and punt returner.

BlindSite
02-26-2007, 02:42 AM
Honestly I think that Reggie Nelson is overrated and his fundamentals are poor he is a flashy tackler but he missed some very easy tackles this year at UF which were overshadowed by his huge hits. If the Panthers want a safety they should take someone solid like the guy from UT or Landry. Personally the biggest need is the Panthers are one tackle short from having a good o-line. If we can get a good enough or servicable LT we can put Gross at his more natural RT position and put Wharton as a G. As far as center, Hartenger was not very good but apparently the coaches are high on Montgomery anchoring the O-line at C if Hartwig can not recover. As far as offense, I think that Fox is against drafting QBs and he likes to pick up solid vets in FA. Every time the Panthers are projected to pick a TE they dont so I doubt they will pick one in the draft esp day one, but with the new OC's history of being a TE guru this would be the year. Lastly i think the greatest need on the Panthers is a solid return man because an extra 15 20 yards every drive would really make it easier on Jake and let us settle down more. It is clear that when the Panthers are backed up in their endzone they do not preform well on offense.

To be honest I don't like Nelson in recovery.

BIG Country
03-01-2007, 06:01 PM
Delhomme, Rucker, and Morgan restructured. Karl Hankton released.

JustJoe2k5
03-01-2007, 06:41 PM
Any word on how much cap space was made available? As for Hankton, it's about darn time.

BehrenMan007
03-01-2007, 08:39 PM
would it be understandable if carolina took greg olsen in the 1st rd?

JustJoe2k5
03-02-2007, 06:14 AM
Unless we address linebacker and safety in free agency, I think those two needs should be addressed before we draft a tight end. I still think we'll make a run at Daniel Graham in free agency.

JustJoe2k5
03-02-2007, 12:55 PM
The fact that we couldn't re-sign Chris Draft before free agency leads me to believe that he thinks he can be a starter and find more money elsewhere. He probably will, so I doubt he is a Panther next year.

Anyone think someone will take a chance on Drew Carter? He is a restricted free agent, his contract can't be that expensive, and it would only cost a team a fifth-round draft pick to acquire him.

MURPHMAN
03-02-2007, 01:27 PM
The fact that we couldn't re-sign Chris Draft before free agency leads me to believe that he thinks he can be a starter and find more money elsewhere. He probably will, so I doubt he is a Panther next year.

Anyone think someone will take a chance on Drew Carter? He is a restricted free agent, his contract can't be that expensive, and it would only cost a team a fifth-round draft pick to acquire him.

Carter received a higher tender meaning whoever signs him will have to give up a second round pick. With this year's strong WR draft class, I doubt anyone will bite on that.

Hermstheman83
03-03-2007, 02:29 PM
So my question: Who will the panthers draft in the first round? Hopefully not Pat Willis(I thought NFLDC had him going there), because KC needs a MLB(plus alot of other things) Just wanted to know your guys' thoughts on it.

FirstAndGoal
03-03-2007, 04:09 PM
"McMichael on the block
<Mar. 3> According to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, the Dolphins are looking to deal McMichael, who is the franchise's all-time leader in catches (283) and receiving yards (3,096) for a tight end. McMichael is set to collect a $3 million roster bonus along with his $1 million base salary for 2007.

"They have not said anything to me about it nor have any teams contacted me about it," agent Drew Rosenhaus said. "I've got no comment on it because it's the first I've heard of it." " - ESPN.com

Any chance the Panthers might deal for him? I would love it, he is better than Graham and a year younger.

JustJoe2k5
03-03-2007, 05:07 PM
So my question: Who will the panthers draft in the first round? Hopefully not Pat Willis(I thought NFLDC had him going there), because KC needs a MLB(plus alot of other things) Just wanted to know your guys' thoughts on it.

We re-signed and retained our starters at linebacker and allowed our starter at safety to hit the free agent market. Which means safety will likely be the first position we look to address in the draft.

JustJoe2k5
03-03-2007, 05:08 PM
"McMichael on the block
<Mar. 3> According to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, the Dolphins are looking to deal McMichael, who is the franchise's all-time leader in catches (283) and receiving yards (3,096) for a tight end. McMichael is set to collect a $3 million roster bonus along with his $1 million base salary for 2007.

"They have not said anything to me about it nor have any teams contacted me about it," agent Drew Rosenhaus said. "I've got no comment on it because it's the first I've heard of it." " - ESPN.com

Any chance the Panthers might deal for him? I would love it, he is better than Graham and a year younger.

I wouldn't mind the move, it just depends on what it would cost to acquire him. If we could possibly send Miami Keary Colbert and a late-round draft pick, since they need wide receivers, I'd do the deal.

BlindSite
03-03-2007, 07:11 PM
I wouldn't mind the move, it just depends on what it would cost to acquire him. If we could possibly send Miami Keary Colbert and a late-round draft pick, since they need wide receivers, I'd do the deal.

They need more youth on their defense so we could trade something like Chris Gamble to them for their second round pick AND McMichael. We'd still have two good corners, we'd get a good tight end and we'd be able to get some more depth at linebacker and probably safety while we acquire a true nickel back like David Irons in the second.

JustJoe2k5
03-03-2007, 07:43 PM
They need more youth on their defense so we could trade something like Chris Gamble to them for their second round pick AND McMichael. We'd still have two good corners, we'd get a good tight end and we'd be able to get some more depth at linebacker and probably safety while we acquire a true nickel back like David Irons in the second.

That would be a nice deal. We would likely need to throw in a pick to even the deal out though.

ShutDwn
03-03-2007, 10:55 PM
So, about MLB, what do you think the team thinks about Adam Seward, they were so high on him last year.

BlindSite
03-03-2007, 11:16 PM
So, about MLB, what do you think the team thinks about Adam Seward, they were so high on him last year.

I think they've still got a lot of man love, but imo we need at least one more viable starter. Buster Davis or Odell Thurman would be perfect. They could start on the weakside (or compete with Anderson) and then move to the middle if Morgan got injured.

ShutDwn
03-04-2007, 09:53 AM
I think they've still got a lot of man love, but imo we need at least one more viable starter. Buster Davis or Odell Thurman would be perfect. They could start on the weakside (or compete with Anderson) and then move to the middle if Morgan got injured.

Don't leave out David Harris, he was impressive at the combine and is a real thumper.

JustJoe2k5
03-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Just a thought:

If LaRon Landry is available at #14, should we attempt to make a deal with New England? New England trades their two first-round draft picks to move up and draft Rodney Harrison's eventual or perhaps immediate replacement.

We sit at #24 and #28 and draft Greg Olsen and Michael Griffin, two guys that would be immediate starters and immediate impact players at positions of need.

FirstAndGoal
03-04-2007, 05:37 PM
Just a thought:

If LaRon Landry is available at #14, should we attempt to make a deal with New England? New England trades their two first-round draft picks to move up and draft Rodney Harrison's eventual or perhaps immediate replacement.

We sit at #24 and #28 and draft Greg Olsen and Michael Griffin, two guys that would be immediate starters and immediate impact players at positions of need.

I think that would be a really good trade, if the Pats would do it. I like Landry better than Griffin, but only by a little bit and adding Olsen in addition would be great. It fills two holes for us, not one.

BIG Country
03-04-2007, 09:48 PM
The team signed for Clemson WR Kevin Youngblood

BlindSite
03-05-2007, 02:50 AM
Just a thought:

I'd rather we draft Pouz and then Griffin and wait in the second to take Miller.

JustJoe2k5
03-05-2007, 05:48 PM
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/141/story/40909.html

That's a very bad Hankton.

BIG Country
03-06-2007, 05:03 PM
Chris Weinke was cut today. Marques Tuiasosopo is suppossed to be visiting later in the week.

JustJoe2k5
03-06-2007, 05:07 PM
There's a name out of nowhere. Don't know exactly what they feel he would bring to the table. I'd consider Joey Harrington.

BlindSite
03-07-2007, 04:37 PM
I'm hearing tuisiasupo's name a lot.

JustJoe2k5
03-07-2007, 08:10 PM
http://www.charlotte.com/141/story/43059.html

We've also looked into Patrick Ramsey and he may make his decision by tonight or tomorrow.

JustJoe2k5
03-07-2007, 08:17 PM
Daniel Graham and Eric Johnson off the market. Looks like it'll be Greg Olsen or bust.

ShutDwn
03-07-2007, 08:57 PM
Daniel Graham and Eric Johnson off the market. Looks like it'll be Greg Olsen or bust.

I can't put our obvious need at Safety over what would be a luxury at TE. We have tools on Offense, we don't have a starting/young/durable/talented safety.

Reggie Nelson or Laron Landry to me are on another level instinctually.

JustJoe2k5
03-08-2007, 03:00 PM
ESPN has Cato June and Ken Hamlin as two players who could potentially end up in Carolina. I would support both moves. If we address our two biggest needs in free agency, we suddenly have alot of freedom with how we use our draft picks.

Hamlin will likely demand quite a bit of money, but I think June could be signed fairly cheap when you compare it to other deals that have been made this offseason.

BlindSite
03-08-2007, 03:37 PM
I'd like to see us sign both, but if I had to choose our signings I'd go with Harrington and June, then the BPA safety at 14 and then Miller in the second.

SchizophrenicBatman
03-08-2007, 09:36 PM
I think Jeff King will break out under Davidson so Im not too concerned about TEs

I've been a big Hamlin fan but his play went down a notch after he got smacked in the head with a pipe so I dont think that risk would be worth it if we had to outbid other teams. June is awful and Id rather pay Draft starter money to compete for an OLB slot/back up Morgan than pay June anything

pantherfreak
03-11-2007, 07:20 PM
Just a thought:

I'd definitely make that move. And if Griffin is unavailable, take Willis. That trade would make a lot of sense, JustJoe2k5.

JustJoe2k5
03-17-2007, 08:19 PM
Signed some depth at defensive tackle and linebacker.

The Carolina Panthers have signed free agent linebacker Terrence Melton and free agent defensive tackle Stephen Williams, the team announced Friday.

In three NFL seasons with Atlanta and New Orleans, Melton, 30, has played in 34 games with two starts and has posted 26 tackles, one pass defensed and 27 special teams stops. He appeared in 16 games, primarily on special teams, for the Saints in 2006 and tied for the team lead with 16 special teams tackles in addition to contributing five tackles on defense.

Following two seasons in the Arena Football League and two years in the Canadian Football League, Melton (6-1, 235 pounds) signed as a free agent with Atlanta in 2004. He spent time on the Falcons active roster and practice squad before being signed by New Orleans late in the campaign. In 2005, Melton appeared in 15 games with two starts for the Saints and produced 21 tackles.

Melton became a free agent when he was not tendered a qualifying offer, which would have made him a restricted free agent, from New Orleans. He played defensive end in college at Rice University, where he collected 94 tackles and eight sacks.

Williams, 25, split the 2006 season between Kansas City's active roster and practice squad after being signed as an undrafted rookie free agent from Northwest Missouri State. He saw action in 11 games and notched seven tackles and one fumble recovery. Williams (6-2, 306 pounds) was waived by the Chiefs in February.

Sounds like Melton will be our replacement for Vinny Ciurciu on special teams and Williams could find time in our defensive tackle rotation.

SchizophrenicBatman
03-17-2007, 08:42 PM
Yas's blog notes there's a rumor we're looking at WR @ 14. Wouldn't be the brightest move to me, but I can understand it. Drew Carter is poised to "break out" every year yet still hasn't, plus he's a FA next year. And with Key possibly retiring soon, we're thinner at WR than some would think

Thin enough to take a 1st round WR? Not in my opinion. If we do go that path, I want Meachem though I'm guessing the Panthers are looking to kill two birds with one stone and pick up Ginn

JustJoe2k5
03-17-2007, 09:56 PM
I would make a move for Brandon Stokely. He and Jake Delhomme played together in college and were a very productive duo their two years there. If any wide receiver will succeed on our team, they'll need to have some sort of chemistry with Delhomme.

neko4
03-18-2007, 12:21 AM
Hey Panther fans new "fantasy offseason-type" game starting up
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4174

BlindSite
03-19-2007, 07:13 AM
Yas's blog notes there's a rumor we're looking at WR @ 14. Wouldn't be the brightest move to me, but I can understand it. Drew Carter is poised to "break out" every year yet still hasn't, plus he's a FA next year. And with Key possibly retiring soon, we're thinner at WR than some would think

Thin enough to take a 1st round WR? Not in my opinion. If we do go that path, I want Meachem though I'm guessing the Panthers are looking to kill two birds with one stone and pick up Ginn

I wouldn't mind us taking someone in the second like Sidney Rice, if he took a tumble, but with our first rounder. I'd be physically ill.

Hines
03-19-2007, 11:52 AM
hey join the draft game
we only need like 6 more teams and we need the panthers

JustJoe2k5
03-19-2007, 08:06 PM
Chris Draft signed with the Rams, so linebacker may have just become a first-round need again.

ShutDwn
03-19-2007, 09:03 PM
Chris Draft signed with the Rams, so linebacker may have just become a first-round need again.

Not really, the team expected him to sign somewhere else.

We did sign someone, probably a back up. We still have Seward

JustJoe2k5
03-24-2007, 07:23 AM
Funny stuff on News 14 Carolina.

"Today the Carolina Panthers agreed to terms with restricted free agent defensive end Dave Ball. For those wondering who Ball is...so are we."

I suppose that has been the feeling about most of our free agent signings thus far.

BlindSite
03-24-2007, 07:23 PM
All Special Teamers imo. They're all "highly motivated" athletes.

JustJoe2k5
03-27-2007, 07:20 AM
Hooray for more back-ups!

safety Deke Cooper
defensive end Dave Ball
cornerback Curtis Deloatch
defensive tackle Chad Lavalais

JustJoe2k5
03-27-2007, 03:32 PM
Seems like everyone on ESPN has jumped off the Panthers' bandwagon, which likely means we'll have a 11-5 or 12-4 season. Our front office is probably pretty happy that we're finally underdogs again.

ShutDwn
03-27-2007, 03:36 PM
Seems like everyone on ESPN has jumped off the Panthers' bandwagon, which likely means we'll have a 11-5 or 12-4 season. Our front office is probably pretty happy that we're finally underdogs again.

Which if true is pathetic, because motivating teams that lose is easier than getting a team to go out if they are used to winning.

BlindSite
03-28-2007, 08:09 AM
Which if true is pathetic, because motivating teams that lose is easier than getting a team to go out if they are used to winning.

Like Rocky Marceno once said, its harder to run three miles in the snow at 5am wearing silk boxers than it is to do it hungry.

Severe Punishment
03-30-2007, 03:38 PM
Fox says the Panthers are switching to the ZBS...AND Harrington and Carr have visits scheduled.

Not sure if they're currently being discussed...thought ya'll might enjoy some "new" news if not.

SchizophrenicBatman
03-31-2007, 02:57 PM
I hear we're looking at Eric Moulds and Louis Lipps...

Not that exciting, though Moulds used to be a name. Honestly, Id rather talk Proehl out of retirement if we go that route, though I guess they cut ties after last year :(

JustJoe2k5
03-31-2007, 03:28 PM
I'd support the switch to the ZBS.

I think DeShaun Foster could excel in the ZBS.

DeAngelo Williams could be productive behind an offensive line made up of high school cheerleaders, so the ZBS can only help him.

JustJoe2k5
03-31-2007, 03:29 PM
I hear we're looking at Eric Moulds and Louis Lipps...

Not that exciting, though Moulds used to be a name. Honestly, Id rather talk Proehl out of retirement if we go that route, though I guess they cut ties after last year :(

Eric Moulds? I suppose he would be on speed-dial in case Keyshawn suddenly decided to retire. I don't think we need another wide receiver if Keyshawn does return, they were the least of our worries last season.

JustJoe2k5
04-05-2007, 06:05 PM
ESPN predicts Greg Olsen. Normally it would be tough for fans to get excited about a tight end, but I can't help but get excited everytime I see highlights of Olsen.

BIG Country
04-06-2007, 09:37 AM
Now that David Carr has signed, that eliminates the need for a backup in the draft. More chances to grab a couple safeties, MLB, TE, DE, RET

SchizophrenicBatman
04-08-2007, 04:32 PM
Gantt article that brings some reason to the activity latetly. I like the idea, especially with Landry and Willis seemingly out of reach at 14 now. We could end up with three of Griffin, Weddle, Meriweather, Harris, Siler, Bishop instead of just Nelson/Griffin and a LB later. Then in the third take Spaeth, Zach Miller, or wait another round for Johnny Harline. Overall, not a bad plan. Question I have is, if we ditch Jenkins...what goes on at the other DT spot next to Maake? If Okoye falls I wouldnt be opposed to taking him. Carstens/Lewis would be a good rotation but both have their limitations

More draft picks sought
By Darin Gantt The Herald - Updated 04/07/07 - 11:18 PM
CHARLOTTE -- All offseason, the Carolina Panthers have talked about how this offseason was going to be slow -- and it's because future ones won't. That's why they're spending carefully when at all on free agents, and considering other moves to add cheaper labor to maintain a delicate roster balance in years to come.
With defensive end Julius Peppers, wide receiver Steve Smith and tackles Jordan Gross and Travelle Wharton poised to cash in on new deals, the Panthers need to counter by adding to the lower ends of the salary scale as well. That means they need multiple draft picks to be contributors the next few years, since rookie contracts are significantly cheaper than what free agents are raking in.

Gross and Wharton will be free agents at the end of the 2007 season, while Peppers is under contract through 2008 and Smith through 2009. But Smith and Peppers are the priorities to keep, and there are no indications the team plans to do anything but pay them.

But for every pile of cash they have to throw at one of the current players, they need to add someone at a more reasonable rate.

Put simply, the goal is to add draft picks. They have seven total this year (one in each round), and are said to be looking for extra seconds and thirds in particular, since several scouts around the league have indicated there's abundant value in that range this year.

And since second-round wages top out around $1.25 million per year for four years and quickly get below $1 million a year as you get deeper in the round, that's the kind of price-control the Panthers need.

There has been talk around the league that if a specific few players aren't there when they're on the clock with the 14th overall pick, the Panthers would consider bailing out for more picks later in the draft.

That also dovetails with reports the team's shopping defensive tackle Kris Jenkins, who can be a force when properly motivated, but frustrates the team with his inconsistency and concerns them with his injury history.

Jenkins is under contract through 2009 as well, but according to several personnel sources through the league could be had for a first-day draft pick.

With Maake Kemoeatu and Damione Lewis, the Panthers would have a perfectly fine set of interior starters, though they'd need to add depth. They currently have Jordan Carstens, Chad Lavalais and Steve Williams under contract, and they could still bring back free agent Kindal Moorehead.

MORE CAP ROOM: The Panthers recently restructured the contract of running back DeShaun Foster, taking his base salary from $4.25 million to $750,000.

The move gives them around $1.75 million in addition cap room this year, room they can use to absorb a trade of Jenkins or make additional moves.

The Panthers are excited about their depth at running back this year, and think some changes to the offensive scheme will benefit Foster and DeAngelo Williams greatly.

Both have excellent cut-back ability, and with a new zone blocking scheme in place, there should be more potential for big plays for the two of them.

MAKING HISTORY: With last week's addition of backup quarterback David Carr, the Panthers became the first team in eight years to own the first and second overall picks from a draft at the same time.

The last time a team had the top two was from 1997-99, when the Raiders had defensive tackle Russell Maryland and safety Eric Turner, who were the first choices in the 1991 draft.

Prior to that, there were two cases of a team owning the top two picks at the time of that year's selections.

Indianapolis held the first two in 1992 after swindling the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. On July 31, 1990, the Bucs traded a future first-rounder to the Colts for quarterback Chris Chandler (who was 0-6 as a starter there) and was gone before the 1992 draft commenced.

Of course, the Colts didn't exactly capitalize, taking the forgettable Steve Emtman and Quentin Coryatt with the top two picks. (The Los Angeles Rams chose Sean Gilbert with the third overall pick, and it would be six years before he'd become the Panthers' albatross.)

Prior to that, the last time a team employed the top two was in 1958. The Chicago Cardinals had the first two picks in the draft that year, their own plus a "lottery bonus pick" with which they selected Rice quarterback King Hill. Then they used the "first" pick in the draft on Texas A&M back John David Crow.

JustJoe2k5
04-09-2007, 09:07 AM
I'd try and deal back with New England.

Use one of the additional first-round picks to trade back and acquire extra second-round and third-round picks.

BlindSite
04-10-2007, 06:54 PM
Yeah, but for New England to get our 14th overall they'd need to give us both their first rounders.

JustJoe2k5
04-10-2007, 09:01 PM
Yeah, but for New England to get our 14th overall they'd need to give us both their first rounders.

That was the idea. Keep one first-round pick and use the other to trade back and acquire more picks. I'd love for it to happen and if LaRon Landry is available at #14 it becomes alot more likely to happen.

JPF
04-10-2007, 09:15 PM
If you buy into those trade value charts, the Pats 1st 1st rounder (#24) and their 2nd rounder would be close to equal value for our #14. Though, I don't place much value on those things any more.

JPF
04-12-2007, 03:38 PM
Scott updated the mock, if our draft goes like that I'd probably throw my TV out the window.

BlindSite
04-12-2007, 07:06 PM
I'd fly from Brisbane Australia to new york, to **** in my hands and throw it at our draft table.

JustJoe2k5
04-13-2007, 09:49 PM
I'd fly from Brisbane Australia to new york, to **** in my hands and throw it at our draft table.

I think a mean-spirited e-mail would be enough.

JPF
04-15-2007, 12:54 PM
I am so sick of seeing peoples mock have us taking Olsen (not the part I mind) and the reason being "they've ignored this need long enough".

Do they not realize TE was NOT a need until we had an OC that will actually use them as receivers more than 5 plays a game?

JustJoe2k5
04-19-2007, 02:57 PM
Recent news:

Keyshawn Johnson announced on the Best Damn Sports Show Period that he would return.

NFL Network reported that Drew Carter signed his one-year tender offer.

Todd McShay's Recent Seven-Round Mock Draft for the Panthers:
1. Greg Olsen - TE
2. Brandon Meriweather - S
3. Buster Davis - ILB
4. Kevin Kolb - QB
5. Jacob Ford, DE, Central Arkansas
6. Steve Breaston, WR/RS, Michigan
7. Herbert Taylor, OT, TCU

-Like Meriweather's talent, don't like his character.
-Kolb isn't needed since we signed Carr.
-Other than that, I like it. Especially the Steve Breaston pick, we need ANYONE that knows how to run forward once they field a kick or punt.

xooberon
04-19-2007, 03:29 PM
i definately like that mock, except the kolb pick. not sure if merriweather will be there but weddle probably will be and he looks like he's gonna be good. if the kolb pick was swapped with piscitelli that would be a dream draft imo :cool:

JustJoe2k5
04-22-2007, 10:02 PM
Re-signed Michael Gaines to a one-year $1.3 million contract.

JustJoe2k5
04-25-2007, 02:29 PM
Updated Todd McShay mock draft.

14. Carolina: Greg Olsen, TE, Miami
45. Carolina: David Harris, ILB, Michigan
83. Carolina: Sabby Piscitelli, S, Oregon State
118. Carolina: Jay Moore, DE, Nebraska
155. Carolina: Adam Koets, OT, Oregon State
191. Carolina: Steve Breaston, WR/RS, Michigan
226. Carolina: Zach Diles, ILB, Kansas State

Not as good as his earlier mock draft, but the Diles pick is interesting.

JustJoe2k5
04-25-2007, 02:30 PM
"I think there are definitely some areas that we need some depth and potentially immediate help in, Fox said at the teams annual pre-draft press conference at Bank of America Stadium. Id say safety, linebacker, defensive end, wide receiver, tight end, some o-line. I think those are all areas that wed like to see (improved). Return specialist, whether it be a combo-guy or even just a punt returner. Those are areas of need.... As far as any particular order, its hard to predict because youve got 13 people picking in front of you.

FirstAndGoal
04-25-2007, 04:01 PM
Al Wilson, broncos MLB, was relaesed today. I don't really know what his problems were, but would the panthers consider him? He had 102 tackles last year and played 15 games, and adding him would fill a need that we wouldnt necessarily need to address early come draft day.

JPF
04-25-2007, 08:38 PM
The reason he was released is that he couldn't pass a physical to be traded.

simmy1989
04-26-2007, 01:53 PM
I really think Al Wilson would be a great fit with the Panthers. We need to pounce all over him he is a pro bowl MLB who make big plays when they are needed.

JustJoe2k5
04-26-2007, 07:35 PM
The more I see of Michael Griffin, the more I think he is EXACTLY what we need on this team. Also, the more I see of other tight ends available in the draft the more I think we could draft someone like Zach Miller in the second or third round instead of Greg Olsen in the first.

The effect the ZBS will have on the running game should take as much pressure off Jake Delhomme as any tight end would. When Jake Delhomme has a consistent running game he can be productive, just look at the second half of the '04 season.

FirstAndGoal
04-26-2007, 09:33 PM
My feelings are exactly the same. I feel like the only value at 14 that fits our need is Olsen, and I'm not a big fan. I believe we should trade up to get Landry or Willis or down to get a safety like Griffin. The eagles are looking at Griffin for their pick at 26, so if we trade back it would probably have to be to somewhere before that pick. The Pats, with two first round picks, may be looking ot move up, and their first pick at 24 would be a good place to move down to, although this is pure speculation. Adding an extra day one pick or two would be nice.

JustJoe2k5
04-27-2007, 07:07 AM
If I were the front office:

-Get on the phone with the New York Jets. Attempt to trade down to #25 and acquire one of their second-round picks.
-Get on the phone with the St. Louis Rams. Doesn't matter whether it is Kris Jenkins for a second-round pick or a third-round pick and Jerametrius Butler, I'd take the deal.

The Jet's first-round pick puts us right in front of Philadelphia, so we still have a shot at safety Michael Griffin.

With our second-round pick, select tight end Zach Miller.

With St. Louis' second-round pick, select either defensive end Charles Johnson or defensive end Quentin Moses.

With New York's second-round pick, select outside linebacker Justin Durant.

With our third-round pick, select safety Josh Gattis.

After that, Yamon Figurs is someone I would target in the fourth-round as our return specialist. He's alot like the last return specialist we drafted, and you all know who that was.

ericcartman
04-27-2007, 10:57 AM
Jamaal Anderson would be worth it, if he is available at 14

JPF
04-27-2007, 03:29 PM
I really think Al Wilson would be a great fit with the Panthers. We need to pounce all over him he is a pro bowl MLB who make big plays when they are needed.

He also was cut because he couldn't pass a physical to be traded.

JustJoe2k5
04-28-2007, 08:09 AM
Looks like we won't trade Kris Jenkins, which is a mistake in my opinion. I feel just as comfortable with Damione Lewis and Maake Kemoeatu as our starters as I would with Kris Jenkins and Maake Kemoeatu. Whatever pick we would acquire for Jenkins could actually be used to shore up a weakness.

JustJoe2k5
04-28-2007, 08:26 AM
Brandon Sharp, John Wendling, and Marvin White are three sleeper safeties that I plan to keep my eye on in this draft. I'd love to pick up one or maybe even two of them in the draft.

SchizophrenicBatman
04-28-2007, 11:13 AM
I figure most of you guys know your way around the Panthers message boards and normally I wouldnt post a rumor like this but a lot of the names on it have been linked to the Panthers leading up to the draft so I think it might be legit

Supposedly our draft board:

http://wp28panthersoffseason.blogspot.com/2007/04/big-list.html

My biggest disappointments are overrating Booker, leaving Marvin White off and having Joe Staley that high

JustJoe2k5
04-28-2007, 12:14 PM
I suppose this might mean Michael Griffin at #14?

They must feel Lorenzo Booker would be able to contribute immediately on special teams.

Don't really have a problem with Joe Staley, we need all the help we can get on the offensive line.

JustJoe2k5
04-28-2007, 12:23 PM
I would honestly rather make the slight reach for Michael Griffin at #14 than take anyone else. Every time I see this guy, I just see the perfect Carolina Panther.

SchizophrenicBatman
04-28-2007, 12:38 PM
I'm gunna brag in here before Vicklanta ruins my mock

http://games.espn.go.com/draftforecast/leaderboard

ctrl + f FaithNoMore

wooo I might win a Hummer!!

SchizophrenicBatman
04-28-2007, 12:39 PM
BOOOOOO!

Anderson destroys my mock :(

No hummer lol

JustJoe2k5
04-28-2007, 01:03 PM
Hurney should get on every phone available and shop that #14 pick to anyone that remotely needs a quarterback.

FirstAndGoal
04-28-2007, 01:46 PM
thats what we need!

FirstAndGoal
04-28-2007, 01:48 PM
so who do we look to get at 25? I think definately Nelson and Griffin, two very different safeties. I like them both, and their value at 25 is good, but I give the edge to Nelson.

ericcartman
04-28-2007, 01:52 PM
Nice move, I love it.

SchizophrenicBatman
04-28-2007, 01:58 PM
I loved that trade. A second and more for moving down to a place where we'll take some we'd have taken at 14 anyway. I would have preferred taking Quinn and holding him hostage but at this rate it doesnt look like anyone wants him LOL

Revis is my favorite corner in this draft so I can see why the Jets made that trade, but still, AWESOME

Michael Griffin @ 25 is what I want

JustJoe2k5
04-28-2007, 02:08 PM
I liked the trade as well. Puts us ahead of Philadelphia, so we still have a realistic shot at Michael Griffin. Two second-round picks that could be used on players who can contribute immediately. I'd still love to see the Kris Jenkins deal completed.

FirstAndGoal
04-28-2007, 02:21 PM
Haha if Jenkins is traded for a 2nd round pick, we would have five picks in the first three rounds. That would be awesome because we could fill all of our immediate needs.

ericcartman
04-28-2007, 02:23 PM
Well, Adam Schefter (NFL Network) reported that it is highly likely that Kris will still be a Panther after the draft.

FirstAndGoal
04-28-2007, 02:40 PM
I figured it would be hard to get a trade together, but I still hope for one.

FirstAndGoal
04-28-2007, 02:49 PM
Griffin's now gone, maybe we'll focus on Nelson or possibly even a WR

ericcartman
04-28-2007, 02:50 PM
Is the LB from penn state, a possibility?

FirstAndGoal
04-28-2007, 02:59 PM
He's more of an OLB while we need more of a MLB. One name I haven't heard of much is the MLB from Michigan, David Harris. Any chance the panthers take him? And also, don't rule out Greg Olsen. The Panthers could really go a bunch of different ways with this pick.

FirstAndGoal
04-28-2007, 03:05 PM
Now Nelson is gone, leaving Merriweather and his character problems. I think the panthers go elsewhere in the first round and look to pick up a second or third round safety.

FirstAndGoal
04-28-2007, 03:28 PM
i would have liked the panthers to make the trade the cowboys made. we would have gotten their 2nd this year and thier 1st next year, which probably will be pretty high. Thats a great move for the cowboys, and you can't fault the browns either.

ericcartman
04-28-2007, 03:57 PM
I can live with that. Infact, I kinda like it.

ShutDwn
04-28-2007, 04:03 PM
I don't like it much. We needed an inside LB...

JustJoe2k5
04-28-2007, 04:04 PM
Not the sexiest pick, but it fills a need. I really didn't want Greg Olsen there, so we really didn't have anywhere else to go. I'd look for safety with our next pick.

SchizophrenicBatman
04-28-2007, 04:06 PM
It was a very "meh" pick but after the Pats took Meriweather I really don't know who else we should have taken

If anything we should have tried to trade down again with Dallas

ShutDwn
04-28-2007, 04:14 PM
They better be drafting him to be an ILB

hopefully he will make me feel better during training camp.

JustJoe2k5
04-28-2007, 04:27 PM
If what Michael Smith said is true, we would have drafted Jon Beason at #14. So we get the guy we wanted and acquire an additional second-round draft pick.

JustJoe2k5
04-28-2007, 04:34 PM
Scott Wright's positives about Beason:

Terrific athlete...Short but not necessarily small...Very good speed and quickness with a burst...Outstanding instincts and awareness...Is strong, physical and plays much bigger than he is...Solid tackler and a violent hitter...Has sideline-to-sideline range...Solid in coverage...Always seems to be around the action...Versatile with experience at all three (SAM, MIKE, WILL) linebacker positions...Has a motor that never stops...Fantastic leader with excellent intangibles...A great special teamer.

Sounds like a solid guy who could fill in at any linebacker position we need him to, if not start alongside Dan Morgan and Thomas Davis.

ShutDwn
04-28-2007, 04:45 PM
OK, lets get something straight, Morgan is done. He will get injured and we won't have a MLB.

I thought James Anderson was going to be a WLB??

I have a feeling we are going to blow our next pick on something stupid.

SchizophrenicBatman
04-28-2007, 05:04 PM
After reading up some on Beason he sounds like a decent pick who lost a chance to build some draft hype but getting injured his senior year. Typical Panther guy, "team leader" "good character" etc

I think his future is at MLB, if you read nfl.com's profile of him it explains why pretty well. Basically, he's what I was hoping Willis could be for us, except Willis was out of reach. He'll fill in at WLB until Morgan goes down, then take over. I'm fine with this, since I don't think Anderson is ready. I like James as a situational pass rusher, but not as a full-time player yet

Only problem is, we're replacing an injury prone Miami LB...with an injury prone Miami LB?

As for the next pick, I fear the worst also. If you check out the wp28 blog, Beason was the highest guy left when we took him at 25, and actually we had him graded as 25th. Here's the problem, the guys I see at our next pick that we have high grades on are...Ray McDonald and Tanard Jackson

I like McDonald but not on our team. Jackson I hope we have graded as a CB and not a possible move to safety because using a 2nd round pick on a Dime corner is so stupid even our front office wouldn't do it. Theyre dying for safeties though...ugh

Other guys to look for: Abiamiri, Zach Miller, Weddle, Ben Patrick

I'm ok with any of those four, but would love Weddle or Patrick

JustJoe2k5
04-28-2007, 05:32 PM
I'd love Eric Weddle with our first second-round pick and Justin Durant with our second second-round pick. I also still think Yamon Figurs will be a Panther, simply for his speed.

JustJoe2k5
04-28-2007, 05:57 PM
Chargers got our guy, perhaps they could ship Marlon McCree back to us.

JustJoe2k5
04-28-2007, 06:47 PM
Pretty surprised with the Dwayne Jarrett pick, but I won't complain. Keyshawn Johnson's clone gets to learn from Keyshawn Johnson himself. I suppose this move marks the end of Keary Colbert's time in Carolina.

ericcartman
04-28-2007, 06:56 PM
I can't complain.

What's with the talk that Dwayne and Keyshawn are at odds and not talking?

JustJoe2k5
04-28-2007, 07:04 PM
Who said that?

Dwayne Jarrett just looked insanely shy when the two conversed. As an aside, Keyshawn Johnson has been fantastic today. He definitely has a future in broadcasting.

ShutDwn
04-28-2007, 07:04 PM
Wow, so Keyshawn will be able to mentor him?

ericcartman
04-28-2007, 07:10 PM
Who said that?

Dwayne Jarrett just looked insanely shy when the two conversed. As an aside, Keyshawn Johnson has been fantastic today. He definitely has a future in broadcasting.

An "expert" named Jeremy Green said that on espn.com in the live chat.

JustJoe2k5
04-28-2007, 07:45 PM
From their little one-on-one, Keyshawn seemed excited about the opportunity to work with Dwayne Jarrett. Keyshawn said Jarrett should've stayed in school, but said that he was glad he would be able to help him adjust to the NFL in Carolina. Keyshawn WANTS to prepare Jarrett to take his place, very unselfish move. Keyshawn also hinted that this year may not be his last, he could come back for a third year in Carolina.

As for our next pick, I hope for Marcus McCauley.

ShutDwn
04-28-2007, 08:01 PM
wow... a center

ericcartman
04-28-2007, 08:02 PM
wow, a center? I wonder what that means?

ShutDwn
04-28-2007, 08:08 PM
sigh...I was hoping for more of an impact player. Why did we get a center in FA last year?

ericcartman
04-28-2007, 08:09 PM
wow, how close our reactions were!!!

JustJoe2k5
04-28-2007, 08:10 PM
Ryan Kalil? That's a surprise, especially since he is a player most think could start immediately and we have quite a bit of money invested in Justin Hartwig.

JustJoe2k5
04-28-2007, 08:12 PM
Mel Kiper said he could play guard or center, so his future here may be at guard. Can't argue with the value at the point in the draft. Could we possibly trade Justin Hartwig?

ericcartman
04-28-2007, 08:20 PM
somebody is moving to Guard

JustJoe2k5
04-28-2007, 08:31 PM
They way this draft has played out, there are still a number of talented safeties on the board.

Aaron Rouse
John Wendling
Josh Gattis
Michael Johnson
Marvin White

All still available, all could make an impact in their first or second year in the league. I'm not too worried, we could still grab atleast two of the above guys between the third round and fifth round.

JustJoe2k5
04-28-2007, 08:36 PM
ESPN seems to like our draft. They said the move down to acquire an additional second-round pick and still pick Jon Beason was one of the best moves in the first-round and they just said that Ryan Kalil was one of the best picks of the second-round.

ericcartman
04-28-2007, 09:34 PM
Pretty decent pick. It must be a solid pick.

We again stick to the philosophy of not picking safeties early in the draft.

JustJoe2k5
04-28-2007, 09:37 PM
What a first day, atleast in terms of value. #25, #27, #33, and #57 overall players as ranked by Scott Wright. Four potential starters and quite a few talented safeties still on the board for tomorrow. Day started kind of slow, but I can't argue with the result.

SchizophrenicBatman
04-28-2007, 09:38 PM
Judging this draft from an outsider's perspective, it looks amazing. All four guys we've taken were talked about in the first round at some point this year.

Judging it from a Panthers fan point of view, LOL SAFETIES

I guess Fox really doesnt give a damn who he throws out there. At this point, I dont even care. It's just a funny part of our team

JustJoe2k5
04-28-2007, 09:54 PM
Judging this draft from an outsider's perspective, it looks amazing. All four guys we've taken were talked about in the first round at some point this year.

Judging it from a Panthers fan point of view, LOL SAFETIES

I guess Fox really doesnt give a damn who he throws out there. At this point, I dont even care. It's just a funny part of our team

I'm not too worried. There are quality safeties left on the board. If you look back at that leaked draft board, five of the nine safeties on the list are still available.

ericcartman
04-28-2007, 10:20 PM
"leaked draft board"??? Can you throw more light on that please?

ShutDwn
04-28-2007, 10:38 PM
If we don't take a Safety, we could be ****** next year. We basically have half a starter at S

FirstAndGoal
04-28-2007, 11:27 PM
half a starter? you're generous. but seriously, I dont really fault them for not taking a safety. the first round safeties were all gone by our pick, and the same for the second and third rounds, and in the second and third rounds we took players projected to go higher than they actually did.

Do you think Beason can switch to MLB? WHat about Kalil to guard? I like those picks, but they will have to switch positions most likely to have an immediate impact on the team.

SchizophrenicBatman
04-28-2007, 11:33 PM
Repost of the supposed draft board: http://wp28panthersoffseason.blogspot.com/2007/04/big-list.html

They didnt really adhere to it that well but maybe they werent expecting anyone besides Beason to be there for them. I highly doubt it though, I'm guessing some dude with too much time on his hands just threw together some names the Panthers had been linked to

I'd like to see us trade one of our 5ths to move up in the 4th and snag Ben Patrick. Gives us 5 solid guys who could start by the start of the '08 season. That really leaves us gimped at safety though, so who knows? Is Gattis still out there? If so, either him, White or Wendling is satisfactory. It'll be just like scrub FA + Minter essentially so still not optimal. I think White could grow into a good player for us, not sure if he'd be above the Colin Branch line in his first year though. Still leaves a future need there but that's fine since it seems we've closed off possible future problems elsewhere.

Any CBs out there that can return kicks? We desperately need a 4th corner and getting a PR/KR out of him would be damn nice.

SchizophrenicBatman
04-28-2007, 11:38 PM
Beason is a MLB in the pros but can fill in as a OLB until Morgan goes into a coma

Kalil isnt the one getting his ass kicked out of the center spot IMO

princefielder28
04-29-2007, 12:09 AM
As a Packers fan and having seen what they did on a day we are suppose to celebrate, I would like to commend the Carolina Panthers on a terrific draft and I could only have hoped that the Packers were anywhere near the solid draft makers that the Panthers management showed today.

ShutDwn
04-29-2007, 12:23 AM
half a starter? you're generous. but seriously, I dont really fault them for not taking a safety. the first round safeties were all gone by our pick, and the same for the second and third rounds, and in the second and third rounds we took players projected to go higher than they actually did.

Do you think Beason can switch to MLB? WHat about Kalil to guard? I like those picks, but they will have to switch positions most likely to have an immediate impact on the team.

Yeah, I better see them picking one up early tomorrow. I don't want training camp fader.

Idk, none of those players were on my hotlist, so I am obviously not going to be ecstatic.

Seems like a ton of people love our draft. Hopefully Jarret pans out, Kalil seems like a immediate starter.

I hope Beason ends up at MLB, it is encouraging to hear he could be the next signature Miami LB.

angelsdontkill
04-29-2007, 12:33 AM
Any CBs out there that can return kicks? We desperately need a 4th corner and getting a PR/KR out of him would be damn nice.

I'm thinking they should draft Steve Breaston, but he's a WR, not a CB.

ShutDwn
04-29-2007, 12:35 AM
I'm thinking they should draft Steve Breaston, but he's a WR, not a CB.

yeah, but I don't know if Breaston has the speed to go with the mentality.

edit

nvm, Breaston ran a 4.4, he better be a Carolina Panther. making our WR draft chart:

Stevey
Key
Dwayne
Carter
Breaston

Leaving out colbert and Hankton.

BlindSite
04-29-2007, 01:01 AM
I want in this order:

Wendling
Breaston
Troy Smith

DraftMasterG
04-29-2007, 01:36 AM
nice draft guys it was sexy

SchizophrenicBatman
04-29-2007, 02:16 AM
Only reason I specified cb is cuz I know Fox doesnt like carrying 5 WR. Might be different w/ Davidson here though. Hankton is already gone so a Breaston type might happen. Doubt its Breaston though, seems too obvious.

needs

S #1
TE
S #2
PR/KR
4th CB
OT depth?

we've got four picks to fill five needs not counting OT. Maybe one of the safeties is a tweener who can fill in at CB too. Then onto UDFAs

AmbarishRaja
04-29-2007, 02:24 AM
Jon Beason - stocky and strong linebacker with great side to side speed it seems from watching some film on him. looks like another in the line of amazing run stopping tackle machines from the U. Add on the utility of getting Beason and an additional 2nd round pick.

Jarrett - Very smooth route runner who is a huge target in the red zone and is obviously going to be groomed to be KJ's replacement. Will have some favorable matchups going against smaller nickel corners in 3 and 4 WR sets. Also a huge value pick as many had him going mid to late first round. Before the world became obsessed with combine numbers, there were many that made valid arguments saying he near or even above Calvin Johnson's level.

Kalil - Another phenomenal value pick, as we draft a starter towards the end of the second round with the extra pick we got from NYJ. Kalil is a very fluid blocker who is versatile enough to play C or G. Most Panthers fans will argue that we spent too much money on Hartwig to have spent this pick on Kalil, but clearly one or the other will be moved to G and being solid opposite Wahle. I think Kalil will prob end up being the C as he is used to the zone run blocking scheme that we are going to incorporate this year. The C is responsible for making all the line calls so he'd probably have an easier time picking up the jargon and the ideas behind zone blocking.

Johnson - Seems like a broken record, but yet again another phenomenal value pick. Good size at almost 6'3 270, and some youth at DE should be welcomed with open arms with Wallace no longer being here and Ruck coming off of major reconstructive knee surgery. Most tv sports personalities had him being mid second round, so late third round is most definitely a great pick up. I remember hearing someone on ESPN's coverage saying that had he stayed his sr year that he could have easily been a first round pick in the 08 draft.

I love what we've done so far though it's definitely not what I had expected to do coming into today. I watched the whole draft today...all 12 hours or so and I was upset at first when we didn't pick up Willis or one of the 4 top tier safeties, however, our picks have been excellent so far imo. We have 4 guys that could be getting significant playing time by early to mid season. None of our picks have been reaches, even Beason. Pittsburgh admitted to wavering back and forth between Timmons and Beason, and you gotta admit, they do a pretty quality job of judging linebacker talent. Hope to see more solid picks tomorrow. Seems like we have Tanard Jackson rated pretty high on that "leaked" draft board and Scott Wright had us taking him in the third in one of his most recent mocks. We might try to draft him and try to experiment with moving him to safety possibly. Who knows? I'm ready for another day full of NFL Draft though. I live for this!

Ambarish | Future Panthers Head Coach ;)

PS - I've been reading this forum for a few months now and this is my first post so hopefully it'll be the start of a long career. I could debate about the Panthers all day everyday!

D-Rod
04-29-2007, 06:17 AM
You guys probably had the best first day of anyone. Four very safe, good value picks.

But all four NFC south teams had good drafts - I'd rank them Panthers-Falcons-Bucs-Saints thus far - so the next couple of years should be interesting.

Smith and Jarrett vs Hall and Houston/Williams should be particularly fascinating.

sdotcarter33
04-29-2007, 06:29 AM
NE Pats fan here. Just wanna say congrats on you draft so far, i think you guys were the day 1 winners. great job!

JustJoe2k5
04-29-2007, 06:57 AM
Thanks for all the compliments and welcome to the boards AmbarishRaja. Draft certainly didn't play out like most Panthers' fan expected it, but you can't argue with the potential results.

Charlotte Observer columnist said that this draft needed to yield four starters, which is alot to ask, but I think we might have done it. Jon Beason could start as an outside linebacker or back-up Dan Morgan at middle linebacker (which is basically another starter). Dwayne Jarrett will be our #3 wide receiver and should become an instant red-zone weapon. Ryan Kalil could replace either Justin Hartwig at center or Evan Mathis at guard, every scout says he is the type of player that can start immediately and play at a high level immediately. Charles Johnson should see steady time in a rotation with Mike Rucker, and he'll likely take over for Rucker season after next.

I want to see atleast one safety today, possibly two. Steve Breaston may be the return specialist we target.

JustJoe2k5
04-29-2007, 07:22 AM
Q&As with the newest Carolina Panthers:

JON BEASON:
On how he feels about being drafted by the Panthers:
-It's funny, I was just talking to my agent about it and I told him that ever since I declared that I was coming out early that I wanted to be a Carolina Panther.

On why he said that:
-I just felt it was a great fit for me, to come in and play with and learn from Dan (Morgan), a guy I trust. We're both Hurricanes. I know he's going to look out for me. I think it's a great place to live. I know it's on the rise as far as real estate goes. The uniforms. I love everything. It's a great place

On how he knows Panthers linebacker Dan Morgan:
-All of the former (Miami players) come back and work out. I sat down and talked to him a little bit. I saw his work ethic. It's things like that in my opinion that put The U players over the hump.

On what he likes to do outside of football:
-That's a tough question because football is so demanding. It takes up so much of your time. Even in the offseason you have film study and summer workouts. I just like to relax when I'm not playing. Maybe catch some DVDs or take a nap. That's just the life of a football player.

On his ability to play all three linebacker positions:
-You guys run a 4-3 scheme, which I know like the back of my hand. I'm not sure where they want to play me but I can play all three.

On his speed at the Combine:
-I wasn't 100 percent healthy at the Combine. I decided to run anyway because I had already committed to it. I told the different teams that I planned on working out and I ended up tweaking a previous ACL injury. I wasn't feeling great, but I went out and ran anyway.

On if he sees Morgan as competition now:
-I'm just going to go in there and say, "Dan, just tell me what I have to do." If he tells me to run through a brick wall, I'm going to do it. I'm sure he's going to put me on his schedule in terms of how he got it done and became so successful. Is he my competition? I look up to him. I'm going to work extremely hard and try to earn a starting job, but he's a guy that I know Carolina has a lot of respect for, and I do, too.

On if he will be ready if Morgan can't play:
-Physically, yes. The hard part about being a rookie is coming in and learning the schemes and terminology. Obviously I expect there to be a big difference in terms of speed and physical demands at the next level, but it's not something I'm worried about. I'm going to fight every down to get the job done. If they put that pressure on me, that's what we (players) are made out of. That pressure is what drives you and motivates you and you should live up to it.

On if he prefers outside or inside linebacker:
-It's funny, I came out of high school as a safety. I've only been playing linebacker for three years. I feel like I have a tremendous upside, and being so new to the position, I don't have any habits I can't change. I think that's a plus for me because whatever Coach asks me to do, I can just do it. I'm not stuck on doing it my way. At Miami we do a great job of cross training. All the linebackers have to know everything on the field so that if someone goes down we can rotate guys in and not miss a beat.

On when he first got the sense the Panthers were interested:
-We have Pro Day at the University of Miami, and their coach came in and wanted to do a quick interview, and it ended up being a 45-minute interview. We were talking football. They told me that they're big on character, and they just want great people. That was the sense I got and that's why I developed a dream of playing for Carolina.

DWAYNE JARRETT:
On how he feels to be drafted by the Panthers:
-I'm excited just to be on the team and help you guys get back to the Super Bowl.

On what he knows about the Panthers:
-I definitely watch them, especially with Keyshawn (Johnson) and Steve Smith being there. That's two outstanding receivers. The offense you run is definitely balanced. I just can't wait to get out there.

On the Southern California reunion at wide receiver in Carolina:
-It's going to be one with Keyshawn and Keary (Colbert) and myself out there. The USC receivers united together. It's going to be a great thing.

On Keyshawn's reaction to the Panthers selecting him:
-He actually called me and told me to keep my head up and he was pushing for me and things were going to work out.

On talking to his future teammate/draft analyst right after being picked:
-He's a mentor. I look up to him. He's been in the League since '96. We have history in going to the same school together. I think it's going to be a good thing.

On Keyshawn's initial advice to not come out this year:
-Everybody has their own opinions. I just did what was best for me and my family and stuck with it.

On if he talked to Keyshawn about his initial advice:
-I never had the chance to talk to him. I just read his comments in the paper. He and I have a good relationship, though. We've never had any problems or anything like that. He's like a big brother.

On Keyshawn saying he will take him under his wing:
-That's great. I'm a rookie coming in and he's a veteran. Why not learn from the best?

On what he knows about Jake Delhomme:
-He's been there for a while. He's a great quarterback. He just needed the opportunity to be surrounded by great players.

On if he was surprised he wasn't drafted sooner:
-I was, but there's not much you can do about it in these situations. You just roll with the punches. I'm excited. I know where I'm going and I can't wait to get there.

On if it will be an adjustment seeing the field a little less:
-No, not at all. I'm going to work my way to get on it. You have to start somewhere. As soon as I get there I'm going to learn from those guys and try to contribute as much as I can.

On if he talked to John Fox before the draft:
-I spoke to him a couple of times. We have spoken on and off. When he gave me the call, I definitely was excited.

On what Fox told him:
-He just asked me if I was ready to be a Panther. I told him yes. He said he's excited about me coming in and thinks I'll be a great fit.

On his knack for scoring touchdowns (41 in college):
-I just do what I can do to help out the team. By doing that, I ended up with 41 touchdowns. I thank God for getting me to this point and I just roll with it.

On having bragging rights over Keyshawn and Keary Colbert in some statistics at USC:
-It's all love. We're all family. I'm pretty sure we're all going to help each other out. We all want to win. We come from a winning program.

On if he has any concerns about playing in the NFL:
-No, not at all. I've been working hard to get to this point. I'll keep working hard to continue my success at the next level.

RYAN KALIL:
On being drafted by the Panthers:
-It's a surreal feeling. I'm so happy for the honor to play for Carolina. I have a lot of people at a party here who are excited about that and I am as well. I can't wait to come in and help get the team to the Super Bowl.

On falling into the second round:
-I knew watching the draft last year that it might be something like that this year. There were so many guys who they labeled first round and they didn't go in the first round. I didn't listen to the hype because you just don't know. Seeing all of the mock drafts this year, the real draft wasn't close to any of them. It's kind of funny how it works out. I trust that God will put me in the right situation, and obviously I'm on the right team with the right kind of guys. Dwayne and I dropped down to this team and we're both so fortunate and excited to be together. I told Coach Fox if dropping to the second round is the worst thing that ever happened in my life, I think I'll be all right.

On his strengths:
-I think one of the high values people placed on me entering the draft is that I'm a versatile player. I'm a true center, but I can go in and play the guard spot.

On if he has played guard:
-I have. Not in games, though. I did at the Senior Bowl and I did well. I feel real comfortable at the position. Whatever position they put me in it's not going to matter to me.

On what he was told when he got the call that he was being picked:
-They told me they never imagined I would drop that far. They were really happy when their pick came and I was still there. I was just really excited to find out where the next part of my life was going to be, and I couldn't be happier that I'm going to Charlotte.

On if the coaches told him he might play guard:
-The conversation didn't extend too far. I just know I'll be flying in for mini-camp and we'll see what happens.

On his father playing offensive line in the USFL:
-The one thing I love about my dad is that he never pushed football on me. When the time came, and I started to really have a desire to play football, I went to my dad. The only position he knew was offensive line. I took a lot of pride in trying to pick his brain. It all worked out for the best. I love him to death. He's one of the biggest reasons why I'm here today, and we're all so excited right now.

On if he dreamed of playing another position first:
-We tried throwing the ball around, but when the ball kept hitting the ground, those dreams were over with.

On if he has talked to Dwayne Jarrett:
-I haven't yet. Everyone else has been calling, so I haven't had that phone call yet, but I'm sure I will.

CHARLES JOHNSON:
On getting drafted by the Panthers:
-It was a relief because I was waiting for such a long time. As soon as I saw it was the Panthers, it was like a feeling that you never feel before.

On coming from a program like Georgia that has put so many defensive players into the NFL:
-There are a lot of good defensive linemen coming from Georgia. It really helps you watching film of them and trying to do the things they do. It will help you out in the long run.

On if he talked to former Georgia teammates now in the NFL:
-Yes. I talked to Leonard Pope. He's one of my good friends. I talked to David Pollock when we had a charity event last week. I talked to them a lot. They had a lot of good things to say. They said try to stay focused and stay humble.

On what he knows about the Panthers:
-I know a couple of things because of Thomas Davis and I have a couple of teammates at Georgia who are from Charlotte.

On what the Panthers told him his role will be:
-They really didn't tell me anything. I just talked to Coach Fox just a little bit.

On working with Julius Peppers:
-I can't wait to play with him and hopefully I can learn as much as I can.

JustJoe2k5
04-29-2007, 08:22 AM
Repost of the supposed draft board: http://wp28panthersoffseason.blogspot.com/2007/04/big-list.html

They didnt really adhere to it that well but maybe they werent expecting anyone besides Beason to be there for them. I highly doubt it though, I'm guessing some dude with too much time on his hands just threw together some names the Panthers had been linked to

I'd like to see us trade one of our 5ths to move up in the 4th and snag Ben Patrick. Gives us 5 solid guys who could start by the start of the '08 season. That really leaves us gimped at safety though, so who knows? Is Gattis still out there? If so, either him, White or Wendling is satisfactory. It'll be just like scrub FA + Minter essentially so still not optimal. I think White could grow into a good player for us, not sure if he'd be above the Colin Branch line in his first year though. Still leaves a future need there but that's fine since it seems we've closed off possible future problems elsewhere.

I actually think that was our draft board, they just never thought guys like Dwayne Jarrett and Ryan Kalil would fall to them which is why they weren't on the board. I think they'll start to follow the board a little more today, as there aren't too many more major value picks left and we should focus more on need.

ShutDwn
04-29-2007, 11:21 AM
Some player comparisons:

Kalil Compares To: Tom Nalen of the Denver Broncos Outside of Nalen, few centers get their jerseys as dirty as Kalil does Kalil is a tough-as-nails blocker who compensates for size limitations with very good hand placement, a strong punch and quickness off the snap He gets movement with his ability to take angles and shows good alertness on pulls and traps He keeps his hands active to handle multiple defenders and his body control, balance and vision lets him consistently neutralize second-level defenders He is susceptible to a strong bull rush from a nose guard, causing him to walk back in the pocket, but he has an array of moves and is a solid enough technician to make the game a long afternoon for his opponent.

Beason Compares To: Mike Peterson, Jacksonville Like Peterson, Beason has a good flow to the ball He realizes that his size issues mean that he needs to avoid blockers rather than engaging them working in-line, but he has enough functional strength to make it difficult to contain him in one-on-one confrontations Beason, like Peterson, might be better suited to play inside in a Cover-2 defense, so he will not be exposed or gobbled up by the bigger blockers With his ability to flow from sideline to sideline, he will be better served playing in a scheme that will let him make plays in space rather than step up and try to fill.

Johnson Compares To: Derrick Burgess, Oakland Like Burgess, Johnson compensates for a lack of height and bulk with a quick first step off the ball He is better playing off the edge, as he has the burst to close and pressure the pocket in the short area He works well down the line, but needs to open his hips up quicker in attempts to redirect He plays with good urgency, but does get frustrated when his initial move fails and needs to develop a nastier streak Even with his foot speed, he might not be a fit for linebacker in a 3-4 alignment, as he lacks the loose hips and backpedal agility to cover receivers in the intermediate or deep zones.

And Dwayne I think we all know compares to Keyshawn.

All those comparisons are awesome. We need someone like a Burgess who will be speed rusher. Mike Peterson is one of my favorite MLB, so hopefully thats where he fits.

FirstAndGoal
04-29-2007, 11:22 AM
we maybe reached a bit for ryne robinson, but hes a good return man, so it doesn't really surprise me. he's small and his forty time isn't that great, but he's quick and elusive. i definately see him as our return man, but I doubt he'll see much time at WR.

ShutDwn
04-29-2007, 11:31 AM
The nation's active career leader in both punt-return yardage (1,677) and punt-return touchdowns (seven)

He looks like a good pick to me. Fills an immediate need.

ShutDwn
04-29-2007, 11:36 AM
His 40 is actually pretty good btw

JustJoe2k5
04-29-2007, 12:05 PM
I like the Ryne Robinson pick. Yamon Figurs would've been our first choice, but the prospect with the second-highest total punt return yards in NCAA history is a nice back-up plan. Seems like the front office felt the offense was much more of a need area than the defense. I would have to assume we'll pick a safety somewhere?

JustJoe2k5
04-29-2007, 12:08 PM
Compares To: Roscoe Parrish, Buffalo (Miami, Fla.) -- Like Parrish, Robinson is not going to scare any defender as a blocker and will struggle vs. strong press coverage. But if given room to operate, he has the loose hips, explosion and change-of-direction agility to be a dangerous open-field runner … He is one of the finest punt returners in the history of college football and he could make a very nice living on special teams at the next level … He is not as fast as Chicago's Devin Hester … Like Parrish, Robinson needs to be accounted for each time he touches the ball, as he has proven to be effective on reverses, deep routes and also displays a strong arm when asked to throw.

JustJoe2k5
04-29-2007, 12:10 PM
The front office has given Jeff Davidson plenty of toys to tinker with, there should be no excuse for offensive struggles this season.

FirstAndGoal
04-29-2007, 12:41 PM
I'm a bit surprised we chose Ryne Robinson over Steve Breaston.

ShutDwn
04-29-2007, 12:53 PM
So, we are going to go into the season with one Safety?

FirstAndGoal
04-29-2007, 01:04 PM
I bet we would have taken Josh Gattis if he hadnt been picked 5 picks earlier. So do we want Rosario to play TE or FB?

JustJoe2k5
04-29-2007, 01:08 PM
NFL.com has Rosario listed as a tight end, so I suppose that's where he'll play here. His past as a fullback likely means he is atleast a solid blocker, which is likely why he was the choice.

I also have to wonder what our plan is at safety.

SchizophrenicBatman
04-29-2007, 01:13 PM
Dante Rosario is going to fill the Mike Seidman role of waterboy. First pick I don't like. He has a cool name, though

JustJoe2k5
04-29-2007, 01:14 PM
Really like the Tim Shaw pick.