PDA

View Full Version : Carolina Panthers Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

BlindSite
08-26-2008, 06:20 PM
The advantage we have on one side of the field is experience, Muhumad should be able to outwit Cromartie and Jarrett has been playing well.

I'm not saying they'll blow up but I think that if Delhomme is on the money the receivers can get open.

The chargers loss of Merriman is a blessing at this point.

ShutDwn
08-26-2008, 07:41 PM
The advantage we have on one side of the field is experience, Muhumad should be able to outwit Cromartie and Jarrett has been playing well.

I'm not saying they'll blow up but I think that if Delhomme is on the money the receivers can get open.

The chargers loss of Merriman is a blessing at this point.

I think that Rosario will be a big player. The other teams may know about him, but the other players don't respect him yet. If we get the play action going, look for him to be big. Jake also throws best across the middle in my opinion.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
08-28-2008, 06:12 PM
I know i touched on him before, but i have him in some advanced fantasy football league, and i was wondering what your projections of Beason's numbers will look like, for things regarding Tackles, INTs, sacks, FF, and passes deflected.

As someone who gets to see maybe 6 Panther games a year, i'm interested to see what your take on this is. What will help/hinder him this year, and what are your expectations on a whole, not just fantasy production related.

I'm not just interested in the fantasy side of this, so any defensive scheme type information and such would also interest me.

Thanks in advance.

ShutDwn
08-29-2008, 11:08 AM
I know i touched on him before, but i have him in some advanced fantasy football league, and i was wondering what your projections of Beason's numbers will look like, for things regarding Tackles, INTs, sacks, FF, and passes deflected.

As someone who gets to see maybe 6 Panther games a year, i'm interested to see what your take on this is. What will help/hinder him this year, and what are your expectations on a whole, not just fantasy production related.

I'm not just interested in the fantasy side of this, so any defensive scheme type information and such would also interest me.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know if he will get as many tackles, but I think he could have a stat line like this:

130 total tackles, 3 INT, 6-8 passes defended, 3 FF, 2 sacks

He is under rated in just about every part of his game right now because of our market, he is very good in coverage.

SchizophrenicBatman
08-29-2008, 03:48 PM
Beason has about as good an all-around game as you'll see in a MLB. Potential to fill up the stat line across the board. Doubt he piles up as many tackles this year however, since our offense doesnt look to be as bad as last year

ShutDwn
09-01-2008, 08:04 PM
We signed Mark Jones to return kicks, he is at least consistent. I am just waiting for Ryne to get back, he was doing very well at the end of the year, most people have forgotten though.

Also, we cut McClover. Looks like the team like's Taylor better in pass rush situations and also on special teams. As long as Taylor can come close to the QB I am happy. I don't much care about the weight right now because it doesn't matter in this decision because McClover runs himself out of every play even on runs.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
09-03-2008, 06:21 PM
Good read

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview08/columns/story?columnist=yasinskas_pat&id=3549248

ShutDwn
09-03-2008, 10:18 PM
Beason will still fly under the radar, Willis will be more publicized for a while. West coast bias at its finest. ha

JustJoe2k5
09-06-2008, 10:06 AM
Josh McCown has been signed to back-up Delhomme while Moore's leg heals up. I have to admit, I like that we have someone with a little NFL experience behind Delhomme. As much as I like both Basanez and Moore for the future, I don't think either is really ready to carry the load if called upon. While McCown isn't the best back-up in the land, I think the offense is simple enough that he could step in for a few games if called upon.

leroyisgod
09-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Awesome victory guys!!!

ShutDwn
09-07-2008, 06:42 PM
Awesome victory guys!!!

ROSARIOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I am so happy we pulled through on this game, it would have been terrible to lose after we had dominated for so long.

Our run game looked good, we tore them up the first half. I hope that Otah is okay, and also Wharton. They protected Jake so well. Our receivers played well except one bad fumble. I give Jarrett a pass but it would have been so sweet for him to hold on to that, I think he will in the future. We used our guys so well today. Rosario, who I predicted on another forum would have the most yards, did not disappoint. He is no longer a secret, even if people refer to him as Rosario Dawson for a little while.

I loved our defense, we got off the field when we were supposed to. Other than one bad play, and one drive I thought they were fantastic and will only get better. They do need to finish on sacks though, they missed at least three. It was so amazing to see some BIG hits from the defense, I hadn't seen one in a long time. They are going to become more and more confident and get a lot better.

Jake is also a god, I can't believe what he and Moose pulled at the end worked, that play can't go overlooked.

This defense can't dumb it down next week against the Bears though, that will be the test of whether or not they really are different. Previous defenses would play down, I hope they don't.

Oh, and I called this.

Vikes99ej
09-07-2008, 10:30 PM
Is Rosario a good FF pickup, or is this just a one time thing?

SchizophrenicBatman
09-08-2008, 01:37 AM
eh, depends on how useful the guy youre dropping him for is. His ability is legit, most Panther fans could easily see that last year, but it remains to be seen how much he'll be targeted when Smith comes back

ShutDwn
09-08-2008, 09:32 AM
Is Rosario a good FF pickup, or is this just a one time thing?

Jake is spreading the ball around a lot right now, I think he will continue once Smith gets back but it is hard to tell. The play calls seem to be for certain guys, so I think it will continue.

We have much more capable receivers other than Smith now, and I think Davidson is going to do a good job with it.

JustJoe2k5
09-09-2008, 08:27 AM
I think Delhomme will reward Rosario for his reliability this past weekend and will continue to look his way as the season continues. I wouldn't be surprised to see Rosario become the #2 option behind Smith in Delhomme's eyes.

I just hope Rosario is alright as KFFL.com stated that he hurt his ankle at some point against the Chargers. My guess would be it was either on that touchdown catch or in the celebration afterwards.

JustJoe2k5
09-09-2008, 08:31 AM
Anyone catch DeAngelo Hall last night? It was a performance similar to what ended his time in Atlanta, two consecutive plays with two consecutive late hits. It's clear that he still hasn't gotten Steve Smith out of his head from last season.

ShutDwn
09-09-2008, 09:11 AM
I think Delhomme will reward Rosario for his reliability this past weekend and will continue to look his way as the season continues. I wouldn't be surprised to see Rosario become the #2 option behind Smith in Delhomme's eyes.

I just hope Rosario is alright as KFFL.com stated that he hurt his ankle at some point against the Chargers. My guess would be it was either on that touchdown catch or in the celebration afterwards.

I don't think it is anything serious. All of our injuries are day-to-day, and both Wharton and Otah are pretty optimistic about their's not being bad.

Jake like throwing in the middle, and he is going to get someone who can threaten the seam big time. People kind of know his name now, but they don't yet respect him. I think Jarrett is going to bust out pretty soon also, he got hit pretty good on what should have been a touchdown, but made nice plays otherwise.

Chris Harris is the man, just saying, don't have a particular reason. He should have made the probowl last year, but I guess forced fumbles don't show up on the main stat sheet on NFL.com. At least he got credit from Baldinger, who called him the best at stripping the ball. What Harris does is amazing, usually the league leader is a passrusher who hits the QB. Harris has really perfected the intentional strip.

Also, I read that the team dedicated the game to Smith, before the game. I have also heard it was Lucas' idea?

This team has done a 180 from last year. Before, we had guys like Jenkins and Whale calling people out, or calling players only meetings. Those guys weren't really respected, so it just annoyed others. These guys like each other, and you can tell.

ShutDwn
09-14-2008, 04:21 PM
So... My power went out right after we recovered the first fumble. Missed the entire game, and apparently a huge comeback.

I like to think if I had been watching the comeback never would have happened. So, you're welcome haha

JustJoe2k5
09-14-2008, 04:39 PM
After that first half, I was ready to proclaim the return of the Panthers we all knew and hated. I don't know what John Fox said at halftime, apparently not much from what some of the players said, but the Panthers from last week came out prepared to play after halftime. The defense played like one of the best in the NFL and Delhomme finally found his consistency and settled down after a VERY rocky start. Doesn't hurt that Stewart ran folks over everytime he touched the ball and players like Hoover and King stepped up when called upon. I can't say enough about how fantastic our defense played in the second half, and they actually kept the pressure on after we had the lead. With Steve Smith set to return next week, I really like this team's chances to make some noise this season.

ShutDwn
09-14-2008, 05:25 PM
After that first half, I was ready to proclaim the return of the Panthers we all knew and hated. I don't know what John Fox said at halftime, apparently not much from what some of the players said, but the Panthers from last week came out prepared to play after halftime. The defense played like one of the best in the NFL and Delhomme finally found his consistency and settled down after a VERY rocky start. Doesn't hurt that Stewart ran folks over everytime he touched the ball and players like Hoover and King stepped up when called upon. I can't say enough about how fantastic our defense played in the second half, and they actually kept the pressure on after we had the lead. With Steve Smith set to return next week, I really like this team's chances to make some noise this season.

I heard that "a sleeping giant was woken up" after the late hit on Jake that wasn't called? I didn't see the game so I don't know.

We have lots to work on, but the biggest thing is penalties. After that we need to get more pressure on the QB. I like our coverage, and I think the pass rush will come.

JustJoe2k5
09-14-2008, 06:47 PM
It was a close play, similar to the one that led to his concussion a couple of years ago against the Lions. He had started to slide at almost the exact same time that the Bears' defender dived towards him. Personally, I didn't think it was late but Jake definitely was fired up after it happened.

Chris Harris really stepped up and the announcers harped on the fact that he wanted to be at his best against the Bears. He forced yet another fumble and that was really THE play that turned the tide of the game.

JustJoe2k5
09-14-2008, 06:52 PM
I would also agree with the impact of the penalties. Delhomme had two of his best passes called back due to penalties, one was a 20-yard completion to Hackett and another was a 20 or 30-yard touchdown pass to Muhammad. They still don't seem to be comfortable on their home turf. I don't know what it is, but they still just seem like a completely different team when they're in BoA Stadium instead of on other fields around the NFL.

ShutDwn
09-14-2008, 07:05 PM
I would also agree with the impact of the penalties. Delhomme had two of his best passes called back due to penalties, one was a 20-yard completion to Hackett and another was a 20 or 30-yard touchdown pass to Muhammad. They still don't seem to be comfortable on their home turf. I don't know what it is, but they still just seem like a completely different team when they're in BoA Stadium instead of on other fields around the NFL.

I really believe that for some teams it is much easier to get behind the idea that " we are going to go into this team's house and beat them". It is a lot different for teams that are just really good, or teams that are driven by a bigger sense of pride i.e. Philly, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Green Bay etc...

SchizophrenicBatman
09-15-2008, 12:25 AM
We have negative home field advantage so that plays into it as well. Anyway I'm really happy to be 2-0 at this juncture but you have to remember that we could very easily be 0-2 as well. Not that it matters now, those games are over with, but I just don't want to get ahead of myself with this team. They're much improved from last year for sure...but how much I wonder?

Anyway, it'll be nice to move on now that this whole Smith thing is over. Nice to have Delhomme back. His flaws (not looking great all game) to go with his perks (pulling 4th quarter drives out of his ass after looking terrible all day). Either of you guys remember hearing somewhere that Charlie Casserly said he told Fox that every game his team suspended someone they won? Interesting how that's played out for us too...

BlindSite
09-15-2008, 01:03 AM
The best thing is, the best case scenario I could've envisioned for this team was 10-6 with 2 out of 3 games being losses in the first three weeks. If Smith is angry and Davidson uses him early and often we'll be 3 and 0 facing an easier turn of schedule.

JustJoe2k5
09-15-2008, 08:09 AM
I was surprised to see the statistic that Delhomme, in the last few years, is either tied with or right behind Tom Brady for the NFL-lead in fourth-quarter touchdown passes. Especially when you consider the year that Brady had last year and the fact that Delhomme missed the majority of the season.

JustJoe2k5
09-15-2008, 08:12 AM
The best thing is, the best case scenario I could've envisioned for this team was 10-6 with 2 out of 3 games being losses in the first three weeks. If Smith is angry and Davidson uses him early and often we'll be 3 and 0 facing an easier turn of schedule.

I don't think Smith even needs to catch a pass to significantly improve this offense. He'll take pressure off of Muhammad, Hackett, Williams, Stewart, the tight ends, and everyone else who has stepped up thus far this season to make this team 2-0. I just hope that Delhomme will continue to spread the ball around to all of his weapons and not have tunnel-vision for Smith.

ShutDwn
09-15-2008, 08:59 AM
I don't think Smith even needs to catch a pass to significantly improve this offense. He'll take pressure off of Muhammad, Hackett, Williams, Stewart, the tight ends, and everyone else who has stepped up thus far this season to make this team 2-0. I just hope that Delhomme will continue to spread the ball around to all of his weapons and not have tunnel-vision for Smith.

I agree, we can't just revert to a Henning style offense. As good as Smith is, a balanced attack is better.

ShutDwn
09-15-2008, 05:31 PM
Who has thrown more 4th quarter TDs since 2003?

Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Brett Favre — they are all close but no one has thrown more TD passes (33) than Jake Delhomme in the fourth quarter since 2003, and that’s factoring in that Delhomme missed 13 games last season. When the game is on the line, there might not be a better quarterback, and it’s no accident that he led the Panthers to two come-from-behind fourth-quarter victories against the Chargers and Bears the first two weeks of the season.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW.../eye091508.htm

ShutDwn
09-16-2008, 10:31 PM
Moving on to the Vikings now...

I want the team to really play a complete game this time. Against the Chargers, we didn't finish in the redzone and had some penalties. We also let up on defense on two drives. Against the Bears, we showed up in the redzone finally, I am happy that the line was able to get such good push down there. But we had even more penalties. The defense played very well the entire game I would say, though they did give up a TD, it was a 23 yard drive.

Hopefully Steve's return bring a even better balance of pass and run. I am also worried about Allen against Gross.

JustJoe2k5
09-17-2008, 10:42 AM
I would expect to see Smith back with a vengeance. He always seems to perform better inside on artificial turf. I don't expect this week to be any different. The responsbility will fall on the shoulders of Davidson and Delhomme to utilize what Smith can do with the ball in his hands as well as when the ball is out of his hands. Don't be afraid to turn to Muhammad, Hackett, Jarrett, Rosario, King, Hoover, Stewart, or Williams if Smith is double or triple-covered. Delhomme has the best arsenal of weapons around him he has ever had, he needs to continue to use them to their fullest extent even with Smith back on the field.

ShutDwn
09-17-2008, 12:46 PM
I would expect to see Smith back with a vengeance. He always seems to perform better inside on artificial turf. I don't expect this week to be any different. The responsbility will fall on the shoulders of Davidson and Delhomme to utilize what Smith can do with the ball in his hands as well as when the ball is out of his hands. Don't be afraid to turn to Muhammad, Hackett, Jarrett, Rosario, King, Hoover, Stewart, or Williams if Smith is double or triple-covered. Delhomme has the best arsenal of weapons around him he has ever had, he needs to continue to use them to their fullest extent even with Smith back on the field.

Jake was spreading it around as much as he could last year before the injury, so I think he will be able to pick up where he left off, but do even better because Moose and Hackett are so much better than Carter and Colbert. Even Jarrett would probably do more than Colbert.

Also, I heard that Ferrotte is starting. We will see how much this team has changed, typically we would make him look like a superstar.

ShutDwn
09-21-2008, 06:53 PM
Also, I heard that Ferrotte is starting. We will see how much this team has changed, typically we would make him look like a superstar.

Well, the Vikings run game basically owned us.

Recipe to beat the Panthers:

Start your backup.

iloxygenil
09-21-2008, 07:24 PM
Well...I'm stoked to see how the Falcons can play against you guys this week. I don't anticipate a win by any means, because you don't just walk into Carolina and EXPECT to win. I'm thinking that we can give you a good run though, and after watching how a stout run game can do against you guys that makes me happy. But I just know we don't have NEAR the defensive line you faced this week. You didn't have a pass rusher on Abe's level, but we don't have a DT worth 1/2 of what theirs are. I know that they made a big FA pickup in Allen, but he's not the pass rusher Abe is, no one in the league is *right now*

But this game is going to be exciting, if the Falcons can STEAL one, and it would be just that, a theft, because we're not as good as you guys are yet, then that would shake up a lot of things in terms of who's going to end up being the class of the NFC South, because I believe it's the Panthers...if the Falcons can knock them off early and on the road, then I think that'd be a huge boost to the Falcons' confidence. Which is beyond measurable on when it comes to looking at teams on paper.

All that being said, Here's to a good hard fought game without injury.

You guys know how to beat the Falcons...have us forget about pounding the run...and get in Ryan's head early...because he's going to settle in, but if you shake him up early like the Bucs you can easily win. You have an offense that's going to match up well against our defense, your bruising runners will take a toll on our defense. If you throw the ball you're going to lose, but I'm sure you guys'll come out and pound the rock.

I'm hoping to see the offense show up for the Falcons and at least keep us close in the game.

ShutDwn
09-22-2008, 04:23 PM
Well...I'm stoked to see how the Falcons can play against you guys this week. I don't anticipate a win by any means, because you don't just walk into Carolina and EXPECT to win. I'm thinking that we can give you a good run though, and after watching how a stout run game can do against you guys that makes me happy. But I just know we don't have NEAR the defensive line you faced this week. You didn't have a pass rusher on Abe's level, but we don't have a DT worth 1/2 of what theirs are. I know that they made a big FA pickup in Allen, but he's not the pass rusher Abe is, no one in the league is *right now*

But this game is going to be exciting, if the Falcons can STEAL one, and it would be just that, a theft, because we're not as good as you guys are yet, then that would shake up a lot of things in terms of who's going to end up being the class of the NFC South, because I believe it's the Panthers...if the Falcons can knock them off early and on the road, then I think that'd be a huge boost to the Falcons' confidence. Which is beyond measurable on when it comes to looking at teams on paper.

All that being said, Here's to a good hard fought game without injury.

You guys know how to beat the Falcons...have us forget about pounding the run...and get in Ryan's head early...because he's going to settle in, but if you shake him up early like the Bucs you can easily win. You have an offense that's going to match up well against our defense, your bruising runners will take a toll on our defense. If you throw the ball you're going to lose, but I'm sure you guys'll come out and pound the rock.

I'm hoping to see the offense show up for the Falcons and at least keep us close in the game.

Unless you guys have a run defense as good as the Vikings, and Wharton is out once again, I don't think you will hold Williams and Stewart to 40 yards. Gross will probably give up two sacks, and will get lots of help from Jeff King.

Should be an interesting game.

d34ng3l021
09-23-2008, 03:17 PM
I hope Grady Jackson and Jonathan Babineaux bring their top game. We are going to need everything from them and Curtis Lofton to stop that running game. Hopefully Abraham continues his dominant play because the only way we might stop Steve Smith is if Abraham harasses Delhomne (which he has done in the past). Once the Falcons have the ball, I expect us to establish a run game that should net us about 100-150 yards. The offense however will be on Ryan's shoulders. The Panthers defense may not be as good as the Bucs, but it is considerably better than the Chiefs and Lions. Ryan needs to show that he can handle the pressure and perform against good competition, but most of all, he needs to limit his mistakes and turnovers. If he can do that, we have a real chance at this game. Its most likely that he won't though, seeing as how he is a rookie.

iloxygenil
09-23-2008, 08:22 PM
Unless you guys have a run defense as good as the Vikings, and Wharton is out once again, I don't think you will hold Williams and Stewart to 40 yards. Gross will probably give up two sacks, and will get lots of help from Jeff King.

Should be an interesting game.

I hope Wharton plays, and I hope he gets lined up against Abe, we all remember what happened last time he tried to man him up...lmao.

As far as our run D, it's not going to happen like the Vikes, look at their DL it's hell for a RB, but with Grady in the game, we have one serious run plug up the middle, especially with Lofton behind him (who has done very very well at this stage, and will not allow runs up the middle) that's going to be the biggest thing for our run defense (or anyone against the likes of Jonathan Stewart) If we can force your backs from inside to outside, keeping them from getting their shoulders square, then it's a much easier game, but if we can't, then it's going to be a long day. The Falcons have tackled extremely well, and will continue to do that, but Stewart will wear them out for sure. Could make for a very long day.

If I were Carolina I'd try that crap you guys pulled when you only threw the ball what, 3 times? I mean shoot, just let Williams be the QB again with Stewart back there with him, that'd be your scariest formation.

ShutDwn
09-23-2008, 10:52 PM
I hope Wharton plays, and I hope he gets lined up against Abe, we all remember what happened last time he tried to man him up...lmao.

As far as our run D, it's not going to happen like the Vikes, look at their DL it's hell for a RB, but with Grady in the game, we have one serious run plug up the middle, especially with Lofton behind him (who has done very very well at this stage, and will not allow runs up the middle) that's going to be the biggest thing for our run defense (or anyone against the likes of Jonathan Stewart) If we can force your backs from inside to outside, keeping them from getting their shoulders square, then it's a much easier game, but if we can't, then it's going to be a long day. The Falcons have tackled extremely well, and will continue to do that, but Stewart will wear them out for sure. Could make for a very long day.

If I were Carolina I'd try that crap you guys pulled when you only threw the ball what, 3 times? I mean shoot, just let Williams be the QB again with Stewart back there with him, that'd be your scariest formation.

Wharton is at guard now, where he is a lot better. Him coming back boosts are run game quite a bit, he has been out since the first game.

If our line holds up though, I think our receivers match up very well against anyone Atlanta has in the secondary, especially Smith.

d34ng3l021
09-26-2008, 05:22 PM
Sam Baker might not play. If he doesnt, our chances just got helluva lot lower.

But with John Abraham lining up at either RE or LE excited me. Otah is huge and no way will he be able to handle Abraham's speed. He beat Albert for a sack and FF and I expect Abe to tear it up against Gross and especially Otah. I am thinking he gets 1-2 sacks. 3 sacks if we win.

I am so excited to see Ryan go up against a legit D. I need more evidence to back him up in arguments.

ShutDwn
09-28-2008, 03:28 PM
Well, it really wasn't very close, but it should have been even more dominant. So many penalties, we are pathetic with the false starts.

I was happy with our offense otherwise, Moose and Smith tore it up. Stewart and Williams didn't have much room, but they were decent at times. We also contained Abraham extremely well, even without Gross.

The defense gave up one big run, but otherwise was completely dominating only giving up six points and should have put up seven but that was a totally bogus call, this is football and that wasn't a bad hit at all.

Anyway, we need to get healthy on our line, or our run game takes a massive hit. I am glad the Chiefs won because I hope that tells them they can't look them over.

bored of education
09-29-2008, 01:05 PM
Watch out for my Chiefs! J Stew is a beast. He was my favorite RB in this years draft. I can't wait to see how the Chiefs' young D does in response to their solid showing this week against Denver.

ShutDwn
09-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Watch out for my Chiefs! J Stew is a beast. He was my favorite RB in this years draft. I can't wait to see how the Chiefs' young D does in response to their solid showing this week against Denver.

Indeed, seems your defense came alive and so did Jake this past week.

ShutDwn
09-30-2008, 02:41 PM
The Pass rush needs to step up so that we can stat getting more turnovers. Chris Harris is fantastic, but I don't want to rely on him completely for a turnover.

Splat
10-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Gross out for Panthers Sunday; Otah doubtful (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-panthers-injuries&prov=ap&type=lgns)

diabsoule
10-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Do you guys think you'll re-sign Jordan Gross at the end of the year since he's a FA?

JPF
10-05-2008, 12:43 AM
Do you guys think you'll re-sign Jordan Gross at the end of the year since he's a FA?

I'd say it's up in the air. I know that sounds like a non-answer, but there's a lot of decisions the Panthers have to make this off-season...

* Peppers contract expires
* Gambles contract expires
* Gross hits free agency if they don't work out a deal or franchise him again
* Is Ken Lucas retained
* Thomas Davis & Richard Marshall both will be heading into the last year of their contracts
* John Kasay's contract expires...do they want to keep him while having to use a roster spot for a kickoff specialist or do they look for a kicker that can do both

It's probably the biggest off-season the team has ever had in terms of important decisions about which way to go with the teams roster and legitimately you could argue 10 different scenarios that are the "correct" way to proceed.

ShutDwn
10-05-2008, 03:04 PM
Wow guys, we score more points and look the best when both our starting tackles were out.

Other than the interception, Jake was fantastic.

DeAngelo finally broke loose, I knew he would have his day. The defense played amazing from the first snap.

JustJoe2k5
10-05-2008, 05:25 PM
It's nice to finally see the team dominate when they should, after years of playing down to the competition. Glad to see the shutout was kept in tact, you could tell that the players and the fans really wanted that to happen. Also glad to see Williams finally step up and show people why he still shares carries with Stewart. Delhomme looked as comfortable in the pocket as I've ever seen him and I think they should let Gross and Otah take their time to recover and see if the player of the offensive line carries into next week.

ShutDwn
10-05-2008, 07:15 PM
It's nice to finally see the team dominate when they should, after years of playing down to the competition. Glad to see the shutout was kept in tact, you could tell that the players and the fans really wanted that to happen. Also glad to see Williams finally step up and show people why he still shares carries with Stewart. Delhomme looked as comfortable in the pocket as I've ever seen him and I think they should let Gross and Otah take their time to recover and see if the player of the offensive line carries into next week.

Next week is the Bucs though, they won't let us get away with starting those guys.

Moose coming back has meant so much to this offense it is ridiculous. I did not expect him to be this good, he is opening up the outside edge for the runners, and Smitty is getting open down field a LOT more now.

I agree with Williams, I never lost faith in him, but I was annoyed how quickly other people just wrote him off. Like I said before, DeAngelo and Stewart are going to have great performances. I like to judge them as a duo though, not as individuals, they almost broke 200 yards.

The defense was awesome, I loved Beason's pick. TD had at least two tackles for loss on LJ, which isn't easy. Gamble was all over Bowe. Ken looks like he has lost a few steps, but I was really happy he got the interception.

Also, always under the radar is Godfrey, who really impacts the game by letting Chris Harris do his thing.

JustJoe2k5
10-05-2008, 08:52 PM
Delhomme and Muhammad certainly seem to be a pair made for each other and I think the comments made by Muhammad, that he should have never left Carolina in the first place, were completely sincere as he is a totally different wide receiver with Delhomme on the field. I feared that Smith's return would limit Delhomme's ability to spread the ball around, while it has to a certain point, this team can win with only Muhammad and Smith there to catch passes. What's REALLY nice to know is that if either of those two are off, Hackett will be there to fill the void.

Next week will be a real test to see exactly where the Panthers stand. With a decisive victory, there will be little doubt that this team belongs among the upper-echelon of teams in the NFL.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
10-06-2008, 04:29 PM
I'm loving watching the Panthers this year guys, seen all but one so far. I was repping the Beason jersey i told you i got this offseason on Sunday(this was the Jets bye week). Love the pound the ball and play rock solid D philosophy. I really was worried that Fox may be let go if they team did poor, so this makes me very happy. Moose has been a huge addition that goes beyond just the impressive stats he's putting up.

I'm rooting for this team to come out of the NFC, and will be on the boards here more pumpin up the team.

ShutDwn
10-06-2008, 08:18 PM
I'm loving watching the Panthers this year guys, seen all but one so far. I was repping the Beason jersey i told you i got this offseason on Sunday(this was the Jets bye week). Love the pound the ball and play rock solid D philosophy. I really was worried that Fox may be let go if they team did poor, so this makes me very happy. Moose has been a huge addition that goes beyond just the impressive stats he's putting up.

I'm rooting for this team to come out of the NFC, and will be on the boards here more pumpin up the team.

Nice with the Beason jersey, I am in need of a new Panthers jersey myself. I was happy he got a pick, he plays awesome coverage but our defense doesn't blitz enough to get monster turnover numbers.

Our defense has quietly been amazing, and I like it that way.

ShutDwn
10-10-2008, 02:02 AM
http://haccess.googlepages.com/week5stevesmith.gif

ChezPower4
10-11-2008, 04:32 AM
He's a bad mother F*****!!

ShutDwn
10-12-2008, 03:00 PM
Momma said there would be days like this

I feel bad for our defense, they play so hard, but the offense just has these games that are just terrible. I give credit to the bucs, but Jake would have been terrible against any defense, he has these games, every tipped ball went their way.

Sometimes it really seems like the offense and special teams let up more points then the defense. They continually turnover the ball in our own territory and set the offense up with at least a touchdown.

We will get another shot at the bucs, and I feel pretty good about it. Jake tends to play very well when he gets a second chance at a team. I also expect our defense to be pumped up.

Next week the saints come to town, I hope the team takes this loss personally and goes out and rights the ship

I'm sure that most Panthers fans think the sky is falling at this point, but please don't be one of them. Last week we were the greatest, this week we are the same old team and we don't belong in the playoffs. Won't they don't realize is that the Bucs are a good team and they came off a tough loss, they aren't going to give up two losses in a row, especially at home. Our offense goes as our QB goes, and he is going to do this at least a few times a year.

Caddy
10-12-2008, 09:06 PM
Momma said there would be days like this

I feel bad for our defense, they play so hard, but the offense just has these games that are just terrible. I give credit to the bucs, but Jake would have been terrible against any defense, he has these games, every tipped ball went their way.

Sometimes it really seems like the offense and special teams let up more points then the defense. They continually turnover the ball in our own territory and set the offense up with at least a touchdown.

We will get another shot at the bucs, and I feel pretty good about it. Jake tends to play very well when he gets a second chance at a team. I also expect our defense to be pumped up.

Next week the saints come to town, I hope the team takes this loss personally and goes out and rights the ship

I'm sure that most Panthers fans think the sky is falling at this point, but please don't be one of them. Last week we were the greatest, this week we are the same old team and we don't belong in the playoffs. Won't they don't realize is that the Bucs are a good team and they came off a tough loss, they aren't going to give up two losses in a row, especially at home. Our offense goes as our QB goes, and he is going to do this at least a few times a year.

Yeah it was the Chiefs.

But seriously, the Panthers have the players to turn this form around. They just need to regroup and get ready for their next game.

ShutDwn
10-12-2008, 10:23 PM
Yeah it was the Chiefs.

But seriously, the Panthers have the players to turn this form around. They just need to regroup and get ready for their next game.

Exactly. Fans on other boards, not this one, have so much trouble keeping things in perspective. We win and we are the best they have seen, we lose and we are on our way to a top ten draft pick.

It is annoying as hell.

ShutDwn
10-17-2008, 12:15 PM
Crap, Otah and Kalil are out again.

These critical injuries are getting really annoying. They always come at this point of the season. Jake last year, lineman this year.

ShutDwn
10-19-2008, 03:06 PM
Perfect example of why you don't overreact in week six.

Like I said bout the bucs, it is hard to go and beat a good team that just lost, especially at home. It is also true for the Panthers.

Don't overreact to this win either though.

dunagan15
10-19-2008, 05:29 PM
impressive win today guys. Looks to be a 3 team race now for the division. Just maybe, w/ Dallas and Washington not looking too great, we might be able to get all 3 of us in the playoffs.

ShutDwn
10-19-2008, 06:13 PM
impressive win today guys. Looks to be a 3 team race now for the division. Just maybe, w/ Dallas and Washington not looking too great, we might be able to get all 3 of us in the playoffs.

The NFC Souths stock has risen quite a bit in my mind, the NFC East has lost a little bit of the hype it had about four weeks ago.

dunagan15
10-19-2008, 06:36 PM
The NFC Souths stock has risen quite a bit in my mind, the NFC East has lost a little bit of the hype it had about four weeks ago.

Indeed, I think it was NFL.com that had an article saying that the NFC south was the most competetive division. Ill look for it.

dunagan15
10-19-2008, 06:39 PM
here it is...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80b9d1da&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

ShutDwn
10-19-2008, 07:39 PM
here it is...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80b9d1da&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Nice. It is cool that it is so competitive, but sometimes I wish it weren't hehe

dunagan15
10-19-2008, 08:09 PM
Nice. It is cool that it is so competitive, but sometimes I wish it weren't hehe

haha ya don't we all, of course in different perspectives. Will be a good one in the dome.

rockio42
10-19-2008, 09:35 PM
ESPN has a story up in a blog that Julius Peppers (who I admit I have a mac crush on) is starting to look good again

Can someone confirm or deny this?

ShutDwn
10-19-2008, 11:11 PM
ESPN has a story up in a blog that Julius Peppers (who I admit I have a mac crush on) is starting to look good again

Can someone confirm or deny this?

I think last week really sparked him. He was criticized of taking the game off on the radio.

I have seen him play well (not for like two years though), but he was pretty remarkable today. His forced fumble was just awesome, he beats the tackle, then runs all the way across the field and just tomahawks Shockey. He had good pressure most of the day, and almost always when they let him go one on one.

But what stood out most was how emotional he was. He was pissed on the sidelines after the Saints TD, then he was fired up after his forced fumble, and then on both 4th down measurements he was right by the ball and sprinted off when they came up short, he was not like the normal passive Peppers.

Hopefully it continues because if he plays like that he make Johnson, Brayton and Taylor that much better.

The biggest difference this year with the defense is how much they like each other. They love to play together and I think Peppers is really enjoying himself again. So far either Beason or Gamble have been the best, but if Pep continues he will be hard to deny.

He has been good to decent all year but he was great today, he is a streaky player so hopefully it continues.

ShutDwn
10-27-2008, 05:32 PM
Great win, the team showed a lot of character and capitilized on mistakes made by the Cardinals.

Our defense got a little torn up through the pass, but honestly I don't know if Warner could have played better, he was getting hit pretty consistently, normally I think we would have raddled him.

They are a good team and were probably playing to avenge last years loss.

Got to give it up for DeAngelo Williams and Steve Smith, Charles Godfrey with the honorable mention. DeAngelo simply wanted this game, you could tell.

Defense also made some big plays as well, though they let too many third down conversions. However, I will say that there was a tremendous amount of holding going down, especially on Peppers, one of the times, the commentators called it "super holding". Our secondary doesn't get picked nearly as much apart if they aren't held.

Dwayne Jarrett also showed up with a big catch. Any ideas that he is in the dog house should be erased. You aren't going to be thrown to, let alone be in the game if you are in the dog house. He took a big hit and held on, he earned a lot of respect from the team.

Also, quick note, I have noticed Moose getting a little fancy after the catch and also careless with the ball, we were lucky that went out of bounds, I have seen many times through the past four games where he is holding it very far from his body in high traffic areas.

BlindSite
10-28-2008, 07:32 PM
Great win, the team showed a lot of character and capitilized on mistakes made by the Cardinals.

Our defense got a little torn up through the pass, but honestly I don't know if Warner could have played better, he was getting hit pretty consistently, normally I think we would have raddled him.

They are a good team and were probably playing to avenge last years loss.

Got to give it up for DeAngelo Williams and Steve Smith, Charles Godfrey with the honorable mention. DeAngelo simply wanted this game, you could tell.

Defense also made some big plays as well, though they let too many third down conversions. However, I will say that there was a tremendous amount of holding going down, especially on Peppers, one of the times, the commentators called it "super holding". Our secondary doesn't get picked nearly as much apart if they aren't held.

Dwayne Jarrett also showed up with a big catch. Any ideas that he is in the dog house should be erased. You aren't going to be thrown to, let alone be in the game if you are in the dog house. He took a big hit and held on, he earned a lot of respect from the team.

Also, quick note, I have noticed Moose getting a little fancy after the catch and also careless with the ball, we were lucky that went out of bounds, I have seen many times through the past four games where he is holding it very far from his body in high traffic areas.

Next year imo we'll see Jarrett and Smith with Moose as our third WR.

dunagan15
11-09-2008, 04:47 PM
Gah the Raiders are awful. Enjoy your dominating win, I did last week. Its always nice to have to not worry about a game.

ShutDwn
11-09-2008, 06:28 PM
Gah the Raiders are awful. Enjoy your dominating win, I did last week. Its always nice to have to not worry about a game.

Gypsy.

You meant to do that. Jake was terrible, I mean the Raiders played well on defense, but he was sooooo badddd, overthrowing everyone.

Oh well, I know the team will be mad about this, I am just happy they are mad after a win and not a loss.

SchizophrenicBatman
11-16-2008, 03:17 PM
Two ugly wins in a row...but in the NFL all that matters is that they're wins. 8-2 looks nice even though it won't last.

Hopefully Delhomme has gotten all the suck out of his system

And Davidson needs to be fired. It's not going to happen after this season but he needs to go

ShutDwn
11-16-2008, 07:28 PM
Two ugly wins in a row...but in the NFL all that matters is that they're wins. 8-2 looks nice even though it won't last.

Hopefully Delhomme has gotten all the suck out of his system

And Davidson needs to be fired. It's not going to happen after this season but he needs to go

I think he is young. He does things that just don't make sense, he doesn't seem to want to stay with what is working. I think Fox is clamping down on him though, he came here with promises of using the backs more, and screen plays, but those are the plays we use the least.

I am also upset about Rosario. I know he made mistakes earlier, and interceptions have happened, but honestly he has not been thrown an accurate pass in a long time.

I hope that these last two games served as enough of an eye opener for these guys and that they will motivate like a loss would, but I don't know if that will happen.

Jake is abysmal right now, I hate watching him.

Peppers and DeAngelo these last few games have really carried us.

d34ng3l021
11-16-2008, 07:51 PM
Huge huge huge game for the Falcons. The Falcons are going to need an amazing effort to win this upcoming game. The Panthers might need to pick up some slack too, but somehow, that doesnt worry me as much.

ShutDwn
11-16-2008, 11:49 PM
Huge huge huge game for the Falcons. The Falcons are going to need an amazing effort to win this upcoming game. The Panthers might need to pick up some slack too, but somehow, that doesnt worry me as much.

Why is that? Our QB has been terrible the last few weeks, I wouldn't be surprised if he continues. I though the Raiders game might fire him up, but no such luck.

d34ng3l021
11-17-2008, 12:29 AM
Why is that? Our QB has been terrible the last few weeks, I wouldn't be surprised if he continues. I though the Raiders game might fire him up, but no such luck.

You could have a poor performance from Delhomme, but Stewart and Williams can tear through this defense, along with Peppers abusing Weiner to win the game.

JPF
11-17-2008, 09:45 AM
Is it just me or is anyone else wondering if Jake isn't having issues with his arm that he's just not talking about?

thenewfeature06
11-18-2008, 08:37 AM
what are the panthers biggest draft needs?

ShutDwn
11-18-2008, 10:03 AM
Is it just me or is anyone else wondering if Jake isn't having issues with his arm that he's just not talking about?

I don't know, he doesn't seem to be looking at it or anything that would tip us off. I think he is just bad right now, if he could just be accurate these last few games would be blowouts.

thenewfeature06
11-18-2008, 10:08 AM
what are the panthers biggest draft needs

FirstAndGoal
11-21-2008, 07:39 PM
i would say the biggest need is DT. It also depends on who we keep or don't keep in free agency. if we let go any one of the big three up for new contracts- peppers, gamble, and gross- that position would become a need. DE might be a need, although I'm hoping charles johnson can step it up and become the starter there.

dunagan15
11-24-2008, 08:07 PM
Just wanted to say great game Sunday. I was at the game and I can say your fans represented you guys well. Very nice people and really enjoyed cheering back and forth w/ them. Great sports.

ShutDwn
11-25-2008, 10:09 AM
Just wanted to say great game Sunday. I was at the game and I can say your fans represented you guys well. Very nice people and really enjoyed cheering back and forth w/ them. Great sports.

Yeah, we can't keep playing three quarters and try to win. I expected a loss soon though. Of course our bandwagon emptied quite a bit, because that is the logic I guess, rankings are simply who looked the best in week "x". What happened last week is a distant memory for them.

I am not panicking or freaking out until the next game.

SchizophrenicBatman
11-26-2008, 11:57 AM
I was honestly a little happy with our performance Sunday. I expected a L unless Atlanta played like explosive diarrhea. Instead they came out and played about as good a game as you could want...and the Panthers didn't completely fold. Ok, they did in the first half but at least showed up in the 3rd quarter. Gave me hope that the body snatchers didn't visit the team during the bye. Regardless, props to the Falcons. Ryan is legit and I was completely wrong about him. That's all the credit I'm giving them though, since this tied the season series at 1-1 and both games were blowouts of similar margins

However, I do think this sets up Atlanta to take the division. There's nothing that can be done to stop it now with the Last->First karma. NO will beat Tampa next week making it even easier to see. And while I know our schedule looks scary, even at 8-3, I'm not that worried about the playoffs. I'll be a little worried if we lose to Green Bay, but even then we have plenty of time to get back in it. The big game is the second Tampa showdown...there's no way the South is getting both WC's with the Saints screwing things up so I figure that's where we play for the playoff spot

diabsoule
11-28-2008, 02:25 PM
It's being reported on Fox Sports that Carolina and Chris Gamble have agreed to a contract extension.

ShutDwn
11-28-2008, 03:28 PM
I don't really mind the money, seeing as I doubt we are even using the same deal in a few years.

Going into next year with Lucas, Marshall and probably a rookie playing would have been a disaster. Lucas is declining, and neither can stick with the leagues best.

ShutDwn
11-30-2008, 03:22 PM
This team is so frustrating. I was getting pretty pissed that they were letting that game slip, but Steve Smith showed up when we need him most.

Defense needs to get better against these spread offenses, but it is so hard when the receivers are so good. We need more pressure straight up the middle and players getting their hands up. I wish we could put Hilee Taylor in and Johnson but those two I think need a little more development against the run.

Mark Jones, Steve Smith, DeAngelo Williams and Travelle freaking Wharton were heroes today.

SchizophrenicBatman
11-30-2008, 04:06 PM
Yea, Taylor honestly isnt much better than McClover was at containing. He actually gets pressure in non-garbage time though, so that was a good decision to keep him

I'm pretty happy with Johnson. He came in really raw and still kinda is, but he's getting pressure solely by overpowering RTs now. Give him a couple years, maybe get Rucker to come back in as a coach and give him some of those combat lessons he learned over the years and he could be a monster

ShutDwn
11-30-2008, 06:31 PM
Yea, Taylor honestly isnt much better than McClover was at containing. He actually gets pressure in non-garbage time though, so that was a good decision to keep him

I'm pretty happy with Johnson. He came in really raw and still kinda is, but he's getting pressure solely by overpowering RTs now. Give him a couple years, maybe get Rucker to come back in as a coach and give him some of those combat lessons he learned over the years and he could be a monster

Hilee Taylor is so much better than McClover in my eyes, he doesn't rush the passer like he is 20 yards in the backfield.

Give those two a few years, along with a few draft picks, we will have a good rotation. I think Taylor is more of a liability against the run just because of size differential, he will learn how to better combat the bigger lineman, however he won't be able to really take them straight on.

GB12
11-30-2008, 07:42 PM
Your're welcome.

FirstAndGoal
11-30-2008, 09:11 PM
well that was an interesting win. we really need to shore up the pass d. it cost us last week and almost cost us against arizona and green bay. but i'm pretty pleased with the other aspects of the game. delhomme still doesnt seem to be quite in rhythm but he wasnt bad. if he had just hit muhammad in stride on the first play it would have been a td. but the offense overall was good, the run d was okay, and the special teams were great (thanks, mark jones). so lets just work on the pass d. but we did win, and i feel better knowing that it was in snowy lambeau. but i'm afraid to see what cutler, garcia, manning, and brees are going to do against our secondary the rest of the way.

ShutDwn
11-30-2008, 10:14 PM
well that was an interesting win. we really need to shore up the pass d. it cost us last week and almost cost us against arizona and green bay. but i'm pretty pleased with the other aspects of the game. delhomme still doesnt seem to be quite in rhythm but he wasnt bad. if he had just hit muhammad in stride on the first play it would have been a td. but the offense overall was good, the run d was okay, and the special teams were great (thanks, mark jones). so lets just work on the pass d. but we did win, and i feel better knowing that it was in snowy lambeau. but i'm afraid to see what cutler, garcia, manning, and brees are going to do against our secondary the rest of the way.

Our pass defense is normally good, it is these offenses that spread us out and throw so quickly.

Jake needs to get his deep ball together, he overthrew a few guys. The run game was good though.

12-01-2008, 04:50 PM
The problem with our pass defense is Trgovac. Our corners are always 50 yards away from the receivers and it really hinders their abilities. Atleast I think so.

ShutDwn
12-02-2008, 09:20 AM
Too much is made of playing that far off. If they play up close like people want them too, they will get beaten deep a lot more often, a great example was the Packers against the Saints. Gamble can get up and challenge guys, but he doesn't have the experienced safety to back him up yet. Harris is good, but he is not a centerfielder. Cortland Finnegan gets away with it because he has Hope behind him.

Lucas and Marshall can't really get physical like Gamble can.

Pressure up the middle is the only way to stop quick throws like that, also the defensive line getting their hands up.

SchizophrenicBatman
12-02-2008, 04:40 PM
Our corners have to play off this season because the coaches did what all the fans wanted and drafted a rookie safety

ShutDwn
12-03-2008, 08:35 AM
Our corners have to play off this season because the coaches did what all the fans wanted and drafted a rookie safety

Which, will honestly pay off in the long run. He has had issues, but he hasn't been any worse than whats his name starting for us last year.

We will need him a lot behind Lucas next year.

ShutDwn
12-07-2008, 11:32 PM
This is a must win guys. We have to make our mark on this season.

ShutDwn
12-08-2008, 11:24 PM
Great game.
I feel like we definitely have enough to fix for the next game in order to stay on our game.

The next game is as much a test as this one, this was pretty emotional.

SchizophrenicBatman
12-09-2008, 12:58 AM
i could easily, easily see a letdown vs Denver

But we can afford it because we won the last two weeks. This game was huge in particular

I'm so glad we locked up Gamble btw. Lucas might be gone after this year and Marshall hasn't improved much since he came into the league

ShutDwn
12-09-2008, 01:06 AM
i could easily, easily see a letdown vs Denver

But we can afford it because we won the last two weeks. This game was huge in particular

I'm so glad we locked up Gamble btw. Lucas might be gone after this year and Marshall hasn't improved much since he came into the league

I think his bandwagon is getting a little lighter. This game was kind of what it our defense would have looked like on a consistent basis, getting shredded by Antonio Bryant.

Marshall needs to step it up, he has the skill, just needs focus. He is still very young, about as good as Gamble was at this stage I think.

Caddy
12-09-2008, 02:25 AM
Congrats guys. We got smoked by a far better team tonight. For the Bucs sake I hope the rest of the NFL can do what the Bucs did in the first CAR/TB game and hold Williams and J-Stew to under 50 yards.

ShutDwn
12-09-2008, 10:01 AM
Congrats guys. We got smoked by a far better team tonight. For the Bucs sake I hope the rest of the NFL can do what the Bucs did in the first CAR/TB game and hold Williams and J-Stew to under 50 yards.

Wouldn't you want them to destroy the rest of the league to make you guys look better? If the rest of the nfl stuff them, it makes the bucs look worse?

SchizophrenicBatman
12-09-2008, 02:54 PM
The Bucs will be fine. You guys embarrassed us at your house, we just returned the favor. Same deal with Atlanta. All three teams could make noise in the playoffs, though I'd worry about Tampa's lack of explosion on offense

And yea, Marshall's flaws are coming out. He's been exposed a bit. He's still one of my favorite players regardless. The effort on-field is there, he just needs to study the playbook a little more imo. Really need him to step up because most of his mistakes are stupid ones while Lucas is just getting beat straight up

ShutDwn
12-09-2008, 05:48 PM
The Bucs will be fine. You guys embarrassed us at your house, we just returned the favor. Same deal with Atlanta. All three teams could make noise in the playoffs, though I'd worry about Tampa's lack of explosion on offense

And yea, Marshall's flaws are coming out. He's been exposed a bit. He's still one of my favorite players regardless. The effort on-field is there, he just needs to study the playbook a little more imo. Really need him to step up because most of his mistakes are stupid ones while Lucas is just getting beat straight up

I love Lucas, but he just doesn't have it anymore. Marshall I think, is experiencing what a lot of DB's go through in these years. He will connect the dots soon enough. I think he just needs to learn how offenses work more, and know what the opponent is doing. Then will he be able to start shutting guys down.

ShutDwn
12-12-2008, 12:02 AM
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm86/javeirj1/smittybomb.gif

Smitty was doin some blocking that night. He had some other good blocks as well.

vidae
12-13-2008, 12:49 PM
I love Steve Smith. He does it all.

ShutDwn
12-16-2008, 01:38 PM
Kemo had a boot on and was on crutches from what I read yesterday.

I don't see us winning without him, we need his big body in there against the run.

SchizophrenicBatman
12-16-2008, 04:17 PM
I'm more concerned about losing Keydrick Vincent than Kemo

ShutDwn
12-16-2008, 07:28 PM
I'm more concerned about losing Keydrick Vincent than Kemo

I just heard about him. I also heard that Kemo is mostly precautionary and standard procedure.

Hopefully we see them both on the field.

FirstAndGoal
12-17-2008, 08:42 AM
Normally I would be more worried about losing Kemo but going up against the Giant's pass rush I want our best five o-linemen out there.

ShutDwn
12-17-2008, 11:02 AM
Normally I would be more worried about losing Kemo but going up against the Giant's pass rush I want our best five o-linemen out there.

Kemo is playing from what I have heard, nothing on Vincent. Kind of makes me think he his just fine?

FirstAndGoal
12-18-2008, 03:43 PM
I'm not so sure about Kemo playing. He was in a boot yesterday and Fox talked about how we would be okay if we have to play without him. Either way, I won't be surprised.
And I haven't heard about Vincent except that he didn't practice yesterday. Hopefully we will be fine. We have some more than capable backups, but I still want Vincent out there to hopefully slow down the Giants' pass rush.

ShutDwn
12-20-2008, 01:41 PM
Kemo is still questionable I think, Vincent is out... for the season.

Nobody is talking about these two injuries, AT ALL in the media.

FirstAndGoal
12-20-2008, 04:05 PM
No one in the media is really talking about our whole team. They acknowledge the stakes for this game, but when it comes down to who will go to the super bowl, we are never in the discussion. But that's okay with Fox and the rest of the team. They do better when they don't have such high expectations. What we do in the playoffs will be obviously more important than what people think we will do in the playoffs, but it would still be nice to get some recognition. As for the injuries, you're right. Especially the Vincent injury, which it seems like no one cares about, even in the Carolinas. All the talk is about McKenzie and Jacobs even though both have been practicing this week.

FirstAndGoal
12-20-2008, 04:07 PM
As for Kemo, my guess is he will play but will be limited. That's okay with me. Put him in on obvious rushing downs, then put in some other people on the passing downs when he is less effective. We just need him to clog up the middle when they run.

JustJoe2k5
12-21-2008, 11:22 AM
I just look at last week and how Romo was knocked around by the Giants defensive line, yet the Cowboys were able to defeat the Giants 20-8. If Williams and Stewart do what they do best and Delhomme is economical with the football, this should be another Tampa Bay-type of game for the Panthers.

ShutDwn
12-22-2008, 12:10 AM
Well, good game. Few things didn't go our way and I think that its safe to say if they did that we would have won. Playcalling got conservative in the second half, maybe because of the wind, but don't we switch sides every quarter?

We needed more pressure, I can't fault the DB's too much when the defensive line doesn't do anything. Also, I am not surprised they rushed so well without Kemo and then even without Lewis.

We need to take care of business against the Saints, they should have the motivation to do so.

All this means is that we know we can beat them should we get a rematch, and I really don't care where it is.

dunagan15
12-22-2008, 12:32 AM
Lets hope the NFC south division home record stays in tact for 1 more week...

JustJoe2k5
12-22-2008, 08:24 AM
DeAngelo really should be headed to his first Pro Bowl this year, it's a shame he wasn't voted in.

FirstAndGoal
12-22-2008, 12:01 PM
That game reminds me a lot of a late regular season game last year between the Giants and the Pats. Everyone thought the Pats would win, the Giants gave them a run for their money, showed they could stay with them, but still lost in the end. Then, when they met in the playoffs, the Giants won. Hopefully the Panthers can do the same.
What annoys me the most is that there were so many ways we could have won the game. Kasay's kick, the near-int in OT (Gamble would have easily had it if Godfrey hadn't tipped it), the lucky bounce on the muffed punt. You have to give the Giants credit because their running game completely ate us up, but they really were lucky to win that game. If we meet again hopefully some of those plays will go our way.

ShutDwn
12-22-2008, 11:54 PM
That game reminds me a lot of a late regular season game last year between the Giants and the Pats. Everyone thought the Pats would win, the Giants gave them a run for their money, showed they could stay with them, but still lost in the end. Then, when they met in the playoffs, the Giants won. Hopefully the Panthers can do the same.
What annoys me the most is that there were so many ways we could have won the game. Kasay's kick, the near-int in OT (Gamble would have easily had it if Godfrey hadn't tipped it), the lucky bounce on the muffed punt. You have to give the Giants credit because their running game completely ate us up, but they really were lucky to win that game. If we meet again hopefully some of those plays will go our way.

Normally I would give credit, but they gained 150 of their total rushing yards in the fourth and OT quarters against Gary Gibson, Nick Hayden, and Charles Johnson. I know guys still should have made tackles, but come on, we were decimated at the position.

The game just seemed like we were not supposed to win. That kick was ridiculous, and I think we all know what happens if that wind is just a bit weaker.

This isn't a set back though, this should only motivate us for the next game where we need to stomp the Saints.

Number 10
12-23-2008, 11:37 AM
Just noticed something on the missed FG attempt by Kasay. He started his progression before the ball was snapped, forcing him to misstep right before he kicked. I think that was the difference on that kick because if he timed it well, it would have been a more full progression and he would have started it to his right a bit more.

ShutDwn
12-23-2008, 12:05 PM
Just noticed something on the missed FG attempt by Kasay. He started his progression before the ball was snapped, forcing him to misstep right before he kicked. I think that was the difference on that kick because if he timed it well, it would have been a more full progression and he would have started it to his right a bit more.

Right, I noticed as well. It would have still made it had it been normal winds, but perhaps a normal timing and he angles it more to the right.

ShutDwn
12-24-2008, 11:41 PM
So, I'm just looking at what I think we should do in the draft.. avoiding the whole situations of Peppers and Gross, I am just listing what I think we will do regardless of them.

I really think we need to spend the majority of this draft on defense.

Defensive tackle is a must for us, we need depth and we need better rotation. I am fine with Kemo and Lewis being the starters for now, I just want a guy who has a great motor and can get some pressure, sacks aren't all that necessary.

CB, I don't know what kind of defense Fox wishes he could run, would he play his corners more aggressive if he had the pass rush? I have no idea, I think all three of our current players are a lot better when they can really play in someone's face. To me, corners all start to look the same. I really just want a player who can run a 4.4, has decent size, around six foot but is the fiestiest SOB that plays.

This entire draft I would be looking at guys who are just tenacious. I want my defense to be non stop focus and determination.

I would fill my first three picks with DT, OG and CB, and all of them have to be the scrappiest guys. They still have to have good talent but I'm talking about bringing up the level of intensity on this team.

Then, the rest of the draft, the next 3 picks or so, I might pick DT or CB again just to have competition and see if someone can surprise me.

FirstAndGoal
12-29-2008, 11:28 AM
Whew. Luckily Kasay atoned for his earlier miss (and miss in the Giants game). There's a huge difference between the 2 seed and the 5 seed.

Observations from the game:
How the heck did the ref see indisputable evidence that Colston didn't have possession of the football? I probably would have overturned it if they had called it an incomplete pass on the field.

Granted we were playing Drew Brees, but our secondary gives up too many yards. I'm hoping that missing our starting DTs had something to do with that, but thats a stretch.

If Delhomme and DeAngelo and Smitty continue to play like that there's really no stopping our offense. Really the only thing we could have done better was score more TDs instead of settling for field goals.

Overall, I like our chances in the playoffs. We will host Minnesota, Atlanta, or Arizona in two weeks and I think we can beat all of them (though I am hoping we play Arizona). Then if we match up against the Giants, we will have our DTs back hopefully so I don't think theres any way they run the ball as well as they did in the first game. So I'm feeling good about where the Panthers are right now. If our D can get back to the way it was playing earlier in the season we will be really hard to stop.

ShutDwn
12-29-2008, 07:22 PM
Missed the whole game, I was in NY with family, but saw the last kick. Watching the scores on the little scroll and seeing them give up a 13 point lead in like two minutes was terrible

I finally saw highlights just now, I noticed we brought more people on blitzes. I think those plays will work better with our DTs back, hopefully we aren't idiotic enough to believe that them being back bolsters our pass rush enough not to bring more guys.

I can't say much about the game, but I can say that we have two amazing players in DeAngelo and Smith. Deangelo has been so fantastic it is rediculous, and Smith is always there for the clutch play.

Once Stewart gets more comfortable, it will be so incredible, I don't even know how to phrase it.

JustJoe2k5
12-29-2008, 10:07 PM
Are the problems in the secondary due to talent or the coaches? They've looked pitiful more times than not this season and their play was key to New Orleans' near comeback. They just seem so disorganized on every snap.

FirstAndGoal
12-29-2008, 11:36 PM
I think Drew Brees was a big part of the problem for our secondary, but I still think there are problems within our secondary. If you look at some of the passes Brees completed you just have to give him credit because a lot of the time he put the ball in the precise location it needed to be in. But that was not the case on every throw. Our secondary plays so far back from the receivers that we give up relatively few big plays but a lot of shorter receptions. Brees almost got the record, but didn't even complete a pass longer than 26 yards. While I understand the bend-but-don't-break philosophy, I still think we need to get the corners and safeties a bit closer to the receivers. I didn't notice it as much against the Saints but a lot of the time when it's 3rd and short, the corners will still play way off the receivers and the receivers will run a short pattern and get the first down. In situations like that we need to realize that the receivers are most likely running short routes to get the first down. Then we need to play up on them. If we just play two or three yards closer to the receivers, we might give up one long pass but we will prevent a lot of the shorter passes that have been killing us all season and it will help our defense.

wicket
12-30-2008, 02:12 PM
congrats on a great regular season and with your first round bye, you lot deserved with playing the game right (now we just have to find a way to win close games)

ShutDwn
12-31-2008, 09:13 AM
I think Drew Brees was a big part of the problem for our secondary, but I still think there are problems within our secondary. If you look at some of the passes Brees completed you just have to give him credit because a lot of the time he put the ball in the precise location it needed to be in. But that was not the case on every throw. Our secondary plays so far back from the receivers that we give up relatively few big plays but a lot of shorter receptions. Brees almost got the record, but didn't even complete a pass longer than 26 yards. While I understand the bend-but-don't-break philosophy, I still think we need to get the corners and safeties a bit closer to the receivers. I didn't notice it as much against the Saints but a lot of the time when it's 3rd and short, the corners will still play way off the receivers and the receivers will run a short pattern and get the first down. In situations like that we need to realize that the receivers are most likely running short routes to get the first down. Then we need to play up on them. If we just play two or three yards closer to the receivers, we might give up one long pass but we will prevent a lot of the shorter passes that have been killing us all season and it will help our defense.

If those blitzes start to work, I saw a lot on the highlights, Marshall was a lot, and some linebackers, we will see the corners get tighter.

The pressure was decent in the highlights, Brees just held it together very well.

ShutDwn
12-31-2008, 12:34 PM
The whole smash and dash thing is over

http://www.nameswecanbelievein.com/

I think it is pretty sweet that they are good friends. They should still be judges as a duo, and a fantastic duo at that. I remember at the beginning of the year how when the top duos were discussed, they were never given much mention. I admit I didn't see it coming either though, DeAngelo exploded.

Jonathon Stewart is such a good thing for DeAngelo, not in threatening his job but they play for each other it seems. Always supporting each other.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80dc0085

I like what Smith said. Good stuff.

woodnick
01-03-2009, 09:58 AM
Hey guys, theres a forum mock thats being set up if anybody is interested. There are still something like 12 GM spots available if people are interested.

For people that haven't participated in a forum mock in the past they should check it out, they are tons of fun.

Sign-up deadline is tonight, so try to hurry.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...t=28445&page=3

ShutDwn
01-03-2009, 02:54 PM
I wish I could but I am pretty busy nowadays, just enough time to post and watch games.

Also, good fact here, DeAngelo has lost one fumble his entire career, and has a total of two.

JustJoe2k5
01-03-2009, 06:14 PM
I'm excited about this team's playoff prospects with a roster that is, in my opinion, vastly more talented than the last two playoff teams the Panthers have fielded. With a steady dose of Stewart and Williams, commitment by the coaches to the running game, and solid game management by Delhomme; I think the sky really is the limit for what this team is able to do in the next few weeks.

FirstAndGoal
01-05-2009, 03:28 PM
I'm feeling good about this week. People are saying that this game might be a really close game and are using the Cardinals win this weekend and the earlier matchup as evidence. Well I don't think either are good forecasts for this week's game. As for the Cardinals' win on Saturday, the reason they won is because they played at home. There is a huge difference between the home Cardinals and the road Cardinals. They went 6-2 at home in the regular season and 3-5 on the road, beating only the other lousy members of their own division. And the same can be said about the Falcons. A lot has been made about the Cardinals' ability to stop the run against the Falcons, but Turner only averaged 3.9 per carry on the road this year. Now they have to face DeAngelo Williams, who averaged 6.2 per carry at home. They won't be able to bottle him up like they did to Turner. The Cardinals are 0-4 on the East Coast, another stat that helps us. Also, it is supposed to be pretty cold on Saturday, which could be trouble for the team from Arizona. As for the game earlier in the season between these teams, you can't really count that either. The Panthers are a much better offensive team now than they were in the beginning of the season. The Panthers' D had some trouble against those 5 WR sets the Cards ran, but if I remember correctly, the Cards were missing multiple TEs so they used more WRs than they had all season. Chris Harris said the Panthers had not practiced against or scouted their 5 WR sets because the Cardinals had not used them at all before that game. We will be prepared for them this time. And the Panthers even won that game. I predict this one will not be that close.

ShutDwn
01-06-2009, 04:29 PM
Right, we have every inclination to believe that they haven't changed their inconsistencies on the road. They have generally looked pretty good at home other than the Vikings, but on the road is another story.

I don't think we take them lightly, but they haven't proven that they can go on the road.

ShutDwn
01-10-2009, 10:45 PM
I know a lot of people are to blame, but no one can possibly trump Jake Delhomme. He effected the game in so many negative ways. Turning the ball over is always bad, then you add that the defense had no time to even get their helmets off, see what the hell was happening and just got destroyed because of it.

Not getting the ball to Smith is inexcusable. He is one of the most effective receivers anywhere on the field, yet we never once tried to get him the ball in an unconventional way.

Going to a hurry up offense before being down 20 would have at least shown me that they were trying to get a rhythm.

Things I'd like to see next season:
1. Open try outs at QB
Jake was not even solid this year, 15 TDs, 12 INTS, 3 lost fumbles. to expect him to get better would imply that he would (a) learn from a mistake, which he doesn't do and (b) not already be on the back end of his career.

2. Get rid of Trgo
things need to be shaken up, bring in someone with some damn enthusiasm, we need Jack Del Rio again haha. Anyone who can call a blitz that isn't obvious would work.

I don't know what will happen with Peppers and Gross, neither were impressive tonight at all.

Next season is going to be brutal.

dj825
01-10-2009, 11:23 PM
Briging Peppers back would be a good idea considering he had a career high for sacks this season, Gross might not be as needed as once thought though and with him gone it would free up some cap room for big playmaking DT like Albert Haynseworth or Tommie Harris if they dont get resigned by their respective teams...Open tryouts at QB or drafting a QB like Rhett Bomar or Chase Daniel with their first pick(second round) seems to be the best solution atm because we need someone who will get Smith the ball and not throw 5 INTs in one game against Arizonas secondary and their isnt really anyone to get excited about in free agency this year at QB except maybe Kyle Orton who wil most assuredly be back in Chicago...i also agree with getting rid of Trgovac, hes seemingly made Carolina's defense worse since hes been here even though the talent level has raised...sadly enough it feels almost like Carolina is in a rebuilding period despite having so much talent due to the situation at QB that has festered for years and has now gotten completely out of hand

ShutDwn
01-11-2009, 10:13 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=ArIDE17WXIiKpI_7lwnzkeQ5nYcB?slug=dw-cardswin011009&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

“They don’t really change their schemes. … That’s John Fox’s motto,” Fitzgerald said.

How does that make you guys feel? Makes me feel like he just wants to keep his job. Not adapting is wrong on so many levels.

It doesn't work in the playoffs, it doesn't work against teams you play twice, it doesn't keep players excited, it doesn't win championships.

Shottenheimer was fired after a 14-2 season wasn't it? I wouldn't be against it, but it won't happen.

dj825
01-11-2009, 11:39 PM
be nice to hire Schottenheimer or even Brian Billick but yeah wont happen chances are Fox will be staying till Delhomme throws the season away next year then theyll finally get wise and get rid of them both

ShutDwn
01-12-2009, 07:24 AM
No, I definitely do not want either of those, I was just saying that Schottenheimer was fired after a great season but disappointing playoff.

Billick and Schottenheimer are not upgrades at all.

xooberon
01-12-2009, 09:07 AM
fire fox, hire spags. he'd sort out our D.

ShutDwn
01-12-2009, 09:20 AM
fire fox, hire spags. he'd sort out our D.

I wish.

When nothing changes in the gameplan, players get lazy, uninterested, unmotivated. If you excite them though, they will play harder, play FOR you, and you will win.

I think that is a fair assesment to say that one of the reasons our defense doesn't hit as hard as any of the others in the playoffs, doesn't have the enthusiasm (outside Harris, Beason and Godfrey and sometimes Davis) is because they play the same old game plan every week.

We did well the first half the schedule because we played teams that were mostly vanilla offenses, sure they had great backs, but our problem wasn't run stuffing. Once the Saints came in and we had to really play the pass, teams knew how we played. Then we started seeing the passing teams like GB, Denver, Arizona and usually they had good success.

FirstAndGoal
01-13-2009, 02:57 PM
Firing Fox would be the wrong move. We played a bad game, he didn't prepare his team well for it, but he led the Panthers to a 12-4 record and a playoff bye. Getting rid of Jake also would only hurt the team. He killed our chances against Arizona, but he won a lot of games for us earlier in the year, and he also did so well the season we went to the Super Bowl. What I would like to see in the passing game is more usage of the TEs, running backs, and backup WRs. Our passing game is virtually limited to Smith and Moose, and Jake seems to pick one pre-snap and throw to him whether he is guarded or not. If we open up the passing game a bit more he will do better.
Defense is the problem for this team. Trgo needs to go. Our D hass not played up to its potential since del Rio left. This team has talent on D- Peppers, Beason, Gamble, etc. so there is no excuse for how terribly they played at the end of the season. The secondary just backs off into a loose zone and the opposing QB seemns to always be able to find an open receciver. That was our gameplan against Fitz in the first half and it obviously did not work. In the second half we put Gamble on him man-to-man and he was held to less than 15 yards receiving. What I'd like to see is a new D-Coordinator who can get the CBs to pressure the WRs and draft some D linemen who can pressure the QB. I'd also like to see Thomas Davis blitz more. The best defensive teams blitz their linebackers all the time, and Davis has some talent at blitzing, but the coaches do not let him use it often. Another corner would also be nice.
Overall, I think we should keep the core about the same. Try to resign Gross and Peppers and don't go after any big free agents. Get some quality young defensive players in the draft (Don't go QB early- thats saying that we are looking a couple years in the future and not at the coming year). If we can get a new Defensive scheme I think the team will not need a whole lot to be playing long into January next year.

ShutDwn
01-13-2009, 03:57 PM
Firing Fox would be the wrong move. We played a bad game, he didn't prepare his team well for it, but he led the Panthers to a 12-4 record and a playoff bye. Getting rid of Jake also would only hurt the team. He killed our chances against Arizona, but he won a lot of games for us earlier in the year, and he also did so well the season we went to the Super Bowl.

He didn't prepare them at all. When the opposing player says that we didn't do anything differently, and that is John Fox's motto, something is wrong.

Leading us to 12-4? Last time I checked Fox was a defensive coach, and last time I checked, our defense got bent over the last half of the season. They were abysmal, nothing to be happy about. The defense held against crappy offenses the first half of the year, holding down the Saints and then falling apart.

We were 12-4 because of offense, because DeAngelo was amazing, and Smith made clutch catches to bail the defense out.

Cardinals- Smith's tight rope, DeAngelo turns it on, saves game. Defense didn't stop anyone other than a tipped pass

Saints- Saints came back, in like two minutes, who saves us? Steve Smith catches a prayer.

Green Bay- Green Bay moves the ball with ease, nothing stops them. Who saves the day? Steve Smith again.

We had to score at least 30 to win at the end of the season.

Defense is the problem for this team. Trgo needs to go. Our D hass not played up to its potential since del Rio left. This team has talent on D- Peppers, Beason, Gamble, etc. so there is no excuse for how terribly they played at the end of the season. The secondary just backs off into a loose zone and the opposing QB seemns to always be able to find an open receciver. That was our gameplan against Fitz in the first half and it obviously did not work. In the second half we put Gamble on him man-to-man and he was held to less than 15 yards receiving. What I'd like to see is a new D-Coordinator who can get the CBs to pressure the WRs and draft some D linemen who can pressure the QB. I'd also like to see Thomas Davis blitz more. The best defensive teams blitz their linebackers all the time, and Davis has some talent at blitzing, but the coaches do not let him use it often. Another corner would also be nice.

Fox should stay, but Trgovac should leave? Fox is the one who chooses the way to go for a game plan. Nothing Trgo does is approved without Fox seeing it.

Corners playing off? That's Fox.
No blitzes? That's Fox.
Same gameplan? That's Fox.

Bringing in a new coordinator is pointless, when the Head coach has a specialty, they have the say in how the team plays.

If you want a new aggressive defense, a new HC will have to be hired.

I doubt anything happens.

FirstAndGoal
01-13-2009, 05:04 PM
Bringing in a new coordinator is pointless, when the Head coach has a specialty, they have the say in how the team plays.

If you want a new aggressive defense, a new HC will have to be hired.

I doubt anything happens.

Thats what people said about the offense before we got rid of Henning. After we switched coordinators our offense went from being not very good to one of the best in the league. Also, theres a reason our D went from being 2nd in the league under Fox and del Rio to awful under Fox and Trgovac.

And there is no use in firing a coach who has proven he can win and hiring an unproven coordinator. Let the smoke clear and remember that that in all other playoff games under Fox (with maybe the exception of the Seahawks game) the team has come in extremely prepared. Fox is 5-3 in the playoffs, and in the Super Bowl loss he prepared the team as well as he could have. If we fire Fox, it would be based on one game. No one would have fired him before the Arizona game. This team has most of the pieces to do very well next year. We don't need a massive overhaul, and that includes head coach.

ShutDwn
01-13-2009, 06:38 PM
Thats what people said about the offense before we got rid of Henning. After we switched coordinators our offense went from being not very good to one of the best in the league. Also, theres a reason our D went from being 2nd in the league under Fox and del Rio to awful under Fox and Trgovac.

And there is no use in firing a coach who has proven he can win and hiring an unproven coordinator. Let the smoke clear and remember that that in all other playoff games under Fox (with maybe the exception of the Seahawks game) the team has come in extremely prepared. Fox is 5-3 in the playoffs, and in the Super Bowl loss he prepared the team as well as he could have. If we fire Fox, it would be based on one game. No one would have fired him before the Arizona game. This team has most of the pieces to do very well next year. We don't need a massive overhaul, and that includes head coach.

You are missing the point. Hiring a coordinator who matches the coaches specialty makes no sense.

If Mike Martz were head coach, would he hire someone who wanted to play conservative offense and just run the ball? No, of course not. He would have a type of defense he would want to run too, but because it isn't his specialty, the defensive coordinator would have more freedom than the offensive assistant.

The Henning argument doesn't work, because look at what Henning has done since in Miami. He has created a very diverse offense that has only one real star in Ronnie Brown and decent players at every skill position. Three receivers had 50 catches, another three had thirty. Henning's terrible offense in my opinion was because of Fox's desires.

The run game got better, and because of it the pass game got a little better, but it is still a long shot from how good it should be. We

Firing Fox would be based on inconsistency. He had a winning season this year, but I bet you that we don't make the playoffs next year. When has Fox ever made the playoffs when we were predicted to? The answer is never. We don't even do well in individual games when we are predicted to win.

If Fox is kept around, the pressure must still be on to produce, he should have no job security for the next few years. Pressure should be put on him to be more aggressive on defense like it was to be better on offense, find a QB because we didn't get where we were because of Delhomme, he was just along for the ride.

We still have guys like Rosario, Jarrett, and DeAngelo who can be used in the passing game significantly more. Adding more components only gives the defense more to worry about, which opens everything else up.

d-dave
01-14-2009, 06:32 AM
You fire Fox, you lose a lot of the team. The fact is they played a good year, and picked the worst possible time to have a bad game. I think the team has shown they can make adjustments during games, but there hasn't been enough execution on the field early on.

Some tough choices in the line up have to be made so we can get the guys out there to execute the game plan properly. Lucas? Peppers? Someone to pressure from the DT position? If we could pick up some help in one of those areas, we're looking at a defensive team that can make the run like in 2003.

On offense, you can't just dump the best QB to play for your team, ever. He had a bad game, so did everyone else. Bring in some youth and competition for next year to push Jake to get back into the form he started the 2007 season.

Also, lets put this in perspective, at the end of the 2007 season, we didn't even know if we'd have a QB in August, muchless be in the playoffs. Weren't we all clamouring for Jake in december of 2007? So lets bring in some youth and open up the competition for starter just to get Jake's mojo running. I think he tends to play his best when he's got something to prove.

Though I do agree lets open things up a little bit. I'd love to see some more 4 WR sets with Williams back there and run a little run and shoot on opposing defenses. I'd also like to see us run the 2 minute drill more often because that seems to be a time when we are very effective.

ShutDwn
01-14-2009, 09:51 AM
You fire Fox, you lose a lot of the team. The fact is they played a good year, and picked the worst possible time to have a bad game. I think the team has shown they can make adjustments during games, but there hasn't been enough execution on the field early on.

Some tough choices in the line up have to be made so we can get the guys out there to execute the game plan properly. Lucas? Peppers? Someone to pressure from the DT position? If we could pick up some help in one of those areas, we're looking at a defensive team that can make the run like in 2003.

On offense, you can't just dump the best QB to play for your team, ever. He had a bad game, so did everyone else. Bring in some youth and competition for next year to push Jake to get back into the form he started the 2007 season.

Also, lets put this in perspective, at the end of the 2007 season, we didn't even know if we'd have a QB in August, muchless be in the playoffs. Weren't we all clamouring for Jake in december of 2007? So lets bring in some youth and open up the competition for starter just to get Jake's mojo running. I think he tends to play his best when he's got something to prove.

Though I do agree lets open things up a little bit. I'd love to see some more 4 WR sets with Williams back there and run a little run and shoot on opposing defenses. I'd also like to see us run the 2 minute drill more often because that seems to be a time when we are very effective.

We didn't know if we had a QB, and now for sure that it isn't Delhomme. Gunslingers fade the fastest. Jake has not looked good at all this year, the only game I can say he looked good in was the Chargers game. The Chiefs are terrible, don't bring them up.

Let's hear some of the examples of these adjustments that you have seen? Would it be the adjustment to being absolutely horrible after the Saints game?

Jake finished the year with more turnovers than touchdowns, no QB keeps his job with an offense around him like ours. He should be at least +10 in the TD to turnover ratio. Look at David Garrard last year, he has half the skill at receiver, and our running game was better, yet he was extremely efficient. He is an aging QB, the chances of him getting his mojo back are slim, he isn't like Kerry Collins who played within the offense, I don't know if Jake has the capability to throw to anyone else other than Smith and Muhammad.

Keeping Jake at QB just because he is the best QB we have had is stupid. We don't win games based on what happened 6 years ago, in other words, what has he done for us lately?

Mary Schottenheimer was just as much a player's coach as Fox is. The players would have to put their big boy pants on because this is a business.

If Fox isn't fired, pressure needs to be put on him to get more aggressive on defense. Fox's tactics for getting better has always been sign free agents to fix everything, that doesn't work. You can't cut corners like that to cover up bad drafting and lackluster gameplans. Talent is important, but putting the talent in the right position to make plays is more important.

The Baltimore Ravens are in the championship game with Samari Rolle, Fabian Washington, Corey Ivy, and Frank Walker. The Cardinals are nothing to brag about either. Our guys could be just as good as those guys, if not significantly better. The scheme is the problem, Marshall and Lucas are still good players but they are forced to be something they're not.

Tim Lewis also seems to be a problem, since coming here Lucas and Marshall have fallen off the face of the earth, one of Fox's decisions. Since Lewis left the Giants, Webster, who was looking like a bust, has since become their best corner and an anchor outside.

Maybe I'm wrong, I am just wondering why we payed Gamble all that money to shut down Steve Breaston.

FirstAndGoal
01-14-2009, 06:32 PM
We have this argument every year. When Jake is healthy, no one likes him, but when he is injured, everyone realizes how much he means to the team. It gets old. To change starting QBs in one of the best offenses would only be a step back.
As for Fox, he inherited a one-win team and led them to an average of 9 wins in the next 7 years. Every year that he has not had a winning record there has been a huge injury to an important player. Last year we won 7 games with Michael Jackson and a half-corpse at QB. The year before we won 8 with Nick Goings as our leading rusher, thats how banged up our RB corps was. Two years before that we won 7 games without Smitty. The only year Fox has had that he didn't have an injured star and still did not win at least 11 games was his first year, when he took the one-win team to a 7 win team with Rodney Peete at QB. Every other year he has won 11 or 12 games. The point is, he wins. Even when his best players are injured, he still wins at least 7 games. His seven years of good coaching trump the one game he did not coach well.

The reason so many people want to see changes is because the loss was not even a week ago. But once the anger from the loss goes away, you'll see that the people we have right now can win and it would be stupid to change that.

ShutDwn
01-14-2009, 06:38 PM
We have this argument every year. When Jake is healthy, no one likes him, but when he is injured, everyone realizes how much he means to the team. It gets old. To change starting QBs in one of the best offenses would only be a step back.
As for Fox, he inherited a one-win team and led them to an average of 9 wins in the next 7 years. Every year that he has not had a winning record there has been a huge injury to an important player. Last year we won 7 games with Michael Jackson and a half-corpse at QB. The year before we won 8 with Nick Goings as our leading rusher, thats how banged up our RB corps was. Two years before that we won 7 games without Smitty. The only year Fox has had that he didn't have an injured star and still did not win at least 11 games was his first year, when he took the one-win team to a 7 win team with Rodney Peete at QB. Every other year he has won 11 or 12 games. The point is, he wins. Even when his best players are injured, he still wins at least 7 games. His seven years of good coaching trump the one game he did not coach well.

The reason so many people want to see changes is because the loss was not even a week ago. But once the anger from the loss goes away, you'll see that the people we have right now can win and it would be stupid to change that.

We wanted him back because Fox and Hurney did an amazing job at having a backup prepared.

The offense will regress regardless, because we are playing much tougher teams next year.

Explain what exactly Jake did that made the rest of our offense so great, he had 16 TDs and 17 INTs through 17 games. Lets also remember that he was never really on target, he underthrew Smith many times, over threw other guys and doesn't seem to have any understanding of ball placement.

fenikz
02-05-2009, 01:19 PM
I got the Panthers for the forum mock :( so I will have to ask you guys some questions

1st of all, anyone who will be cut to save cap space?

ShutDwn
02-05-2009, 01:46 PM
I got the Panthers for the forum mock :( so I will have to ask you guys some questions

1st of all, anyone who will be cut to save cap space?

Landon Johnson, DJ Hackett off the top of my head.

SchizophrenicBatman
02-07-2009, 05:16 PM
ken lucas

delhomme will restructure

JustJoe2k5
02-08-2009, 11:18 AM
Saw on ESPN that numerous players have tried to persuade Anquan Boldin to join their respective teams, and Steve Smith was the one player they chose to highlight. Boldin/Smith would be quite the tandem, but I don't know if we have the quarterback to utilize that duo to it's fullest extent. That doesn't even take into account the salary this team would need to shed to even begin to consider the addition of Boldin.

ShutDwn
02-08-2009, 11:28 PM
Saw on ESPN that numerous players have tried to persuade Anquan Boldin to join their respective teams, and Steve Smith was the one player they chose to highlight. Boldin/Smith would be quite the tandem, but I don't know if we have the quarterback to utilize that duo to it's fullest extent. That doesn't even take into account the salary this team would need to shed to even begin to consider the addition of Boldin.

Yeah, NFL Live reported that I heard a few days ago. It would be interesting, he would fit great with his YAC ability and our run game.

Sniper
02-10-2009, 08:37 AM
Is Jordan Gross going to get the franchise tag?

ShutDwn
02-10-2009, 01:36 PM
Is Jordan Gross going to get the franchise tag?

Not sure, I have no idea and get a headache from speculating. Peppers doesn't want to stay, I don't know how, but I want something for him.

Gross, we need him to stay, but I don't like to pay him big time money. He is at least consistently healthy and solid at left tackle.

This about sums it up though:

Solution: The bottom line here is you might as well keep the guy who wants to be with you. Pay Gross his money before the start of free agency. Franchise Peppers and unload him for whatever you can get.

Secondary concern: No matter what happens with Peppers, the Panthers need to juice up their defensive line. A few years back, it was supposedly the best in the league when Peppers played with Mike Rucker, Kris Jenkins and Brentson Buckner. Those three are long gone and Peppers is about to join them.

The Panthers have some nice role players in guys like Maake Kemoeatu, Damione Lewis and Charles Johnson. But they don't have any cornerstones.

Solution: The Panthers need to get a first-round pick for Peppers and use it on a defensive end. The other option would be signing a high-priced free agent, but there's not a lot out there and the Panthers aren't flush with cap space. They've got to be aggressive in pursuing some mid-level defensive tackles in free agency.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcsouth/0-8-49/Hot-Button--NFC-South.html

chapo123
02-12-2009, 06:58 PM
its time to make some calls and find takers for both jake d and peppers

Brown Leader
02-15-2009, 01:06 PM
Panther fans picture this-Derek Anderson and an 010' 1st or 2nd or 09' 2nd for Peppers looks doable. Panthers OC Davidson has coached DA and Derek knows Davidson's offense. DA could have success with a run heavy offense and Carolina is going NOWHERE with Delhome. DA wouldn't necessarily have to put up Pro Bowl numbers in the Panther offense. OLB is Browns #1 need and might pay a steep price to get an elite player. Have no idea about the cost/money analysis but......thoughts?

thenewfeature06
02-15-2009, 01:14 PM
I thought the browns would b good this year with the pick -up stallworth and rogers didnt turn out but peppers can be a leader of a young browns Defense

ShutDwn
02-15-2009, 03:06 PM
Panther fans picture this-Derek Anderson and an 010' 1st or 2nd or 09' 2nd for Peppers looks doable. Panthers OC Davidson has coached DA and Derek knows Davidson's offense. DA could have success with a run heavy offense and Carolina is going NOWHERE with Delhome. DA wouldn't necessarily have to put up Pro Bowl numbers in the Panther offense. OLB is Browns #1 need and might pay a steep price to get an elite player. Have no idea about the cost/money analysis but......thoughts?

I care most about picks, but Anderson is possible. We will see though, because Fox is very loyal and bringing in Anderson would be a strange move for him.

SchizophrenicBatman
02-15-2009, 03:18 PM
Derek Anderson is a taller Delhomme. Trading for him gets us nowhere

Cigaro
02-15-2009, 03:22 PM
Yeah me no want Anderson. I think Delhomme can get us through one more year, and give Moore some time to see if he's built of the end of 2007, because if he has, he could be at least a serviceable quarterback.

chapo123
02-16-2009, 08:54 PM
how about this scenario;
sign and trade peppers to houston, who will be looking @ de and safety and get past indy.

now draft picks as followed:
1. aaron maybin - de
2. evandar hood - dt
3. jamon meredith - ot
4. louis murphy - wr
5. hunter cantwell - qb
6. maurice miller - g
7. tripp chandler - te

Cigaro
02-16-2009, 09:09 PM
Boo Aaron Maybin. Give me Michael Johnson at #15.

Brown Leader
02-16-2009, 09:54 PM
Derek Anderson is a taller Delhomme. Trading for him gets us nowhere

You did win 12 last season.(I forget-I keep thinking of that playoff game) And Jake's 34. Derek's 25.

Sorry I think I must be stuck on this.

dj825
02-17-2009, 03:21 PM
We didnt win those 12 games because of Delhomme though...in most cases he actually made the situation worse

SchizophrenicBatman
02-18-2009, 02:12 PM
Delhomme is artificially worth more to us than any other team in the NFL due to the team believing in him (for no reason whatsoever) along with his rapport with Smith and Muhammad. If we swapped him for another player of his exact talent level, even if he's 10 years younger, it hurts us. And Delhomme isn't ideal as is

The 12 win season was a bit of mirage anyway, similar to the year the Browns made the playoffs. We got lucky in a few games, and our schedule next year is about twice as hard as it was this year. Bring back the exact same team next year (that means including Peppers happy and playing for a contract) and we're probably looking at 9-10 wins

I wouldn't mind a trade with Cleveland (in fact it's about as good a spot to move Peppers as I can think of), but I'd probably be more interested in something like your 2nd rounder and a marginal player. Or the 2nd and a 4th/5th

ShutDwn
02-20-2009, 02:19 PM
Steve Smith and DeAngelo Williams made like 10 plays this year that were the difference between 12-4 and 7-9.

Delhomme didn't have a ton to do with us winning everything, he wasn't terrible but he was only good for about two games against the Falcons and the Chiefs.

I want at least one first rounder and another a second rounder for Peppers. Though I think you could get more if you really tried.

ShutDwn
03-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Ken Lucas was released per-NFL.com

chapo123
03-14-2009, 05:50 PM
my mock
2. pat white - qb
3. matt shaunessy - de
4. travis beckhum - te
5. chris baker - dt
6. demetrius bryd - wr
7. juan garcia - c

JPF
03-25-2009, 03:15 PM
my mock
2. pat white - qb
3. matt shaunessy - de
4. travis beckhum - te
5. chris baker - dt
6. demetrius bryd - wr
7. juan garcia - c

No thank you.

The Panthers biggest needs are along the D-line.

Pat White I just don't see, I think that in Fox's eyes we have our future starter in either McCown or Moore.

LizardState
04-07-2009, 06:38 PM
Howdy, Panthers fans. It's just my 1st day posting here so I thought I would impart this about filling the DE spot soon to be vacated by Peppers.

I wrote an article covering the San Jose St. Pro Day since I live here in SJ & interviewed their DE Jarron Gilbert who's been climbing up draft charts like crazy. He was hands-on extensively worked out in positional drills with Rex Ryan of the Jets & other teams clearly spent a lot of time with Gilbert, who has BTW NFL bloodlines, his father played for the Saints. Gilbert said he wants to play a 5-technique with his hand on the ground & is versatile enough to play in either a 3-4 or a 4-3 defense.

The largest contingent there from any NFL team was the Panthers, with HC Fox + 3 assts. I believe they were there for Gilbert b/c they've known for awhile they're going to lose Peppers & they have no 1st rd. pick. And by the time they pick in the 2nd rd.Tyson Jackson & Everette Brown will both be gone, maybe Maybin &/or Ayers too. Gilbert looks like the best fit for them, & he's ranked as high as the 4th or 5th DE after the Pro Day workout. PFW has him miscast as a DT b/c that's what he played at SJ St. for about half his career there, but he's a pure 5-technique DE.

D-Unit
04-16-2009, 05:47 PM
Howdy, Panthers fans. It's just my 1st day posting here so I thought I would impart this about filling the DE spot soon to be vacated by Peppers.

I wrote an article covering the San Jose St. Pro Day since I live here in SJ & interviewed their DE Jarron Gilbert who's been climbing up draft charts like crazy. He was hands-on extensively worked out in positional drills with Rex Ryan of the Jets & other teams clearly spent a lot of time with Gilbert, who has BTW NFL bloodlines, his father played for the Saints. Gilbert said he wants to play a 5-technique with his hand on the ground & is versatile enough to play in either a 3-4 or a 4-3 defense.

The largest contingent there from any NFL team was the Panthers, with HC Fox + 3 assts. I believe they were there for Gilbert b/c they've known for awhile they're going to lose Peppers & they have no 1st rd. pick. And by the time they pick in the 2nd rd.Tyson Jackson & Everette Brown will both be gone, maybe Maybin &/or Ayers too. Gilbert looks like the best fit for them, & he's ranked as high as the 4th or 5th DE after the Pro Day workout. PFW has him miscast as a DT b/c that's what he played at SJ St. for about half his career there, but he's a pure 5-technique DE.
That's great insight! I'm not a Panthers fan, but I am a huge Gilbert fan. I hope Dallas is the lucky winner of his services on draft day. Happy to know that the Cowboys pick ahead of the Panthers in Round 2.

ShutDwn
09-08-2009, 08:33 PM
Kickoff less than a week away lets get this back up

What're we thinking is going to happen verse the eagles? I'm thinking a close game, and I kind of am thinking we will lose. I just don't see our defense stopping them, and they have the kind of defense and corners to really hurt us and Jake.

d34ng3l021
09-08-2009, 08:38 PM
**** the Panthers

ShutDwn
09-08-2009, 08:45 PM
**** the Panthers

Thanks bro, we love the falcons too.

ShutDwn
09-13-2009, 11:12 AM
GAMEDAYYYYYYYYY

But I've got a bad feeling, I think that its mostly this teams unique ability to follow up a good season with a crappy one. In recent history, we have always lost the opener after a playoff season.

ShutDwn
09-13-2009, 01:21 PM
People were saying its a new year, everyone gets a fresh start, so Jake gets a chance at redemption. But this game has been an exact replica of the last game we played. Scored first, then Jake took over.

ShutDwn
09-13-2009, 01:52 PM
People were saying its a new year, everyone gets a fresh start, so Jake gets a chance at redemption. But this game has been an exact replica of the last game we played. Scored first, then Jake took over.

ShutDwn
09-21-2009, 09:34 AM
That was the defense I was expecting this year. We were too easy to be picked apart, Ryan is good but we made it so easy for him.

Jake didn't ruin the game, but defenses aren't scared of him and they can live with him making a few plays.

Smoke14
09-22-2009, 08:52 AM
You need DTs badly right now. We need a legit CB badly. Richard Marshall is going to be a free agent anyway how about we cut a deal before the deadline and you can have Corey Williams and Brandon McDonald for Richard Marshall. You have Sharrod Martin plus Bmac has NFL starting experience and you get a 43 DT who doesn't fit our 34, and then we get a legit corner option to help us in the long run.

JPF
09-23-2009, 08:15 AM
No thanks.

Richard Marshall isn't an issue if next year is uncapped like it's looking it will be. In that case he'll be a RFA since the years needed for unrestricted goes from 4 to 6 in an uncapped year.

We have issues at DT, but a larger portion of our issues are coaching related.

JPF
09-28-2009, 10:16 AM
So if we lose tonight, is it still too early to talk about head coach candidates?

ShutDwn
09-28-2009, 06:54 PM
So if we lose tonight, is it still too early to talk about head coach candidates?

Probably because the Panthers are too loyal. I believe he is on the hot seat, I thought that before the year started. He didn't save his job with last year, it only set up this year in my opinion.

This was the season he would win the job, last year was a prerequisite.

ShutDwn
09-29-2009, 09:41 AM
We hung in longer than I thought we would. Our defense seemed to get so tired and from being on the field for the third quarter and having bad field position.

The offense is so one dimensional right now to me, I feel like the reason we can't run is because of Jake. No one is respecting him enough to consistently have the fear of getting beat deep.

The last INT was on Smith, but I didn't think he played particularly well other than that one drive. Muhammad played well, I wish he would have fought for the first INT more and the pass interference was one I thought he could have still caught and scored without having to do that.

The defense was surprising when they brought pressure, and even then I was most surprised at the pressure with the front four. Though we go destroyed by small passes to the runningback.

DiG
09-29-2009, 09:47 AM
how long till you guys think matt moore gets his shot? i figure the panthers have to at some point see what hes got. from what ive read he didnt look bad in preseason. he wasnt amazing but he wasnt bad either.

you have a couple winnable games after the bye week with the skins, bucs, and bills but after that the schedule gets really tough.

Miaoww
09-29-2009, 11:26 AM
Moore isn't going to get a shot. If Delhomme gets injured they'll hand the reins over to Feely.

JPF
09-29-2009, 12:33 PM
We hung in longer than I thought we would. Our defense seemed to get so tired and from being on the field for the third quarter and having bad field position.

The offense is so one dimensional right now to me, I feel like the reason we can't run is because of Jake. No one is respecting him enough to consistently have the fear of getting beat deep.

We hung in longer because during the first half we were blitzing effectively and playing man coverage. We started giving up yards in the second half because we stopped blitzing and went to a soft zone coverage. Though they were on the field quite a bit in the second half and did end up the victims of bad field position, but that's because of the offense.

The offense really wasn't that one dimensional. D-Will was averaging 5.8 ypc but only got 11 carries. That isn't being one dimensional, it's the offensive playcaller getting away from what is working.

ShutDwn
09-29-2009, 03:01 PM
We hung in longer because during the first half we were blitzing effectively and playing man coverage. We started giving up yards in the second half because we stopped blitzing and went to a soft zone coverage. Though they were on the field quite a bit in the second half and did end up the victims of bad field position, but that's because of the offense.

The offense really wasn't that one dimensional. D-Will was averaging 5.8 ypc but only got 11 carries. That isn't being one dimensional, it's the offensive playcaller getting away from what is working.

He had about three caries that are the bulk of those yards. He had rushes of 14,17, and 12, that really boosted the average, otherwise he is averaging 2.6 with those other eight carries. I didn't see the run game as effective at all, factor in Stewarts total of -1 yard on four attempts and its even worse. Averages should mean consistant production, but in this game they don't tell the truth.

DeAngelo was one of the few backs last year who I thought actually was consistant with his average per touch, whereas Adrian Peterson goes 2 yards 4 plays in a row and then busts a 22 yard gain and now he averages 6 ypc? That isn't accurate at all.

We were completely one dimensional in the second half, if we had any dimensions at all actually.

JPF
09-29-2009, 03:47 PM
Average means just that, the average.

You talk about DeAngelo's average last year being accurate at showing his "consistent production", but have you looked at what that average would be if you took out all his runs of 20+ yards? The Kansas City game alone shows you wrong. He had 123 yards on 20 carries, but take out his 20 yard run and his 32 yard run and he's down to 71 yards on 18 carries. His "average" for that game drops from 6.1 ypc to 3.9 ypc.

So by the standards you're using to base last nights game on, I guess his "average" last year wasn't as accurate at showing his "consistent production" as you claim.

SchizophrenicBatman
09-29-2009, 07:34 PM
it's kind of hard to get a consistent vibe going on when you only get 11 carries

ShutDwn
09-29-2009, 11:19 PM
Average means just that, the average.

You talk about DeAngelo's average last year being accurate at showing his "consistent production", but have you looked at what that average would be if you took out all his runs of 20+ yards? The Kansas City game alone shows you wrong. He had 123 yards on 20 carries, but take out his 20 yard run and his 32 yard run and he's down to 71 yards on 18 carries. His "average" for that game drops from 6.1 ypc to 3.9 ypc.

So by the standards you're using to base last nights game on, I guess his "average" last year wasn't as accurate at showing his "consistent production" as you claim.

Yeah, so he is just below 4, which is probably much more accurate per typical run when you actually watch the game. Do you believe Deangelo is really going to get 5 yards every carry he takes? Please tell me you don't.

Player A:
1st run- 2 yards
2nd run- 3 yards
3rd run- 1 yard
4th run- 1 yard
5th run- 3 yards
6th run- 26 yards

5.0 ypc

Player B:
1st run- 5 yards
2nd run- 4 yards
3rd run- 4 yards
4th run- 5 yards
5th run- 6 yards
6th run- 6 yards

5.0ypc

I am well aware of what an average is, but I am also well aware that out of these two examples above, one of the players has an average that is actually accurate and the other isn't at all.

It is rare that a players average actually reflects what you could expect from them per touch.

it's kind of hard to get a consistent vibe going on when you only get 11 carries

Well not according to JPF

The more accurate way to analyze a runners carries is a box plot that shows the outliers and then the median and the quartiles.

JPF
09-30-2009, 08:28 AM
Hold on....who was the one that said "if you take out his longest three runs Monday night then his average drops to 2.6 ypc"?

Oh yea, that was you.

But when I use that same logic to counter your comment about DeAngelo's average equaling his consistent production you act like I'm the one expecting him to get 5 yards every carry?

Player A:
1st run- 2 yards
2nd run- 3 yards
3rd run- 1 yard
4th run- 1 yard
5th run- 3 yards
6th run- 26 yards

5.0 ypc

BTW- Your math is wrong on this one, that's a 6.0 ypc average.

JPF
09-30-2009, 09:20 AM
Anyway, enough of the nonsense. We're both going to stick to our guns I'd imagine. So let's talk about something productive...

How can things be fixed this year, or can they?

SchizophrenicBatman
10-05-2009, 12:59 PM
Player B:
1st run- 5 yards
2nd run- 4 yards
3rd run- 4 yards
4th run- 5 yards
5th run- 6 yards
6th run- 6 yards

5.0ypc

there is no RB in the NFL capable of doing this on a consistent basis. Hell, most of them are at 4.0 ypc doing 1 yd 2 yd -2 yd 0 yd 20 yd. There are guys with better success rates than DeAngelo, but its typically not the guys you'd expect, and it's more of the 3yd, 3yd, 4yd variety

Even last year when DeAngelo was abursdly good I think it broke down more like 5yd 1yd 4yd 24yd 0yd 8yd etc

notacarolinafan
10-08-2009, 02:51 PM
Can we beat the Redskins?

notacarolinafan
10-11-2009, 03:09 PM
Jake drags DeAngelo Hall for a few extra yards and the game clinching 1st down! 20-17, Panthers win!! That guy from Kiss 95.1 FM can finally come off of the roof!

ShutDwn
10-14-2009, 09:10 AM
Jake drags DeAngelo Hall for a few extra yards and the game clinching 1st down! 20-17, Panthers win!! That guy from Kiss 95.1 FM can finally come off of the roof!

I think that the game looked like the run Jake had, if not a little uglier. I'll take the win but it really doesn't fix anything.

JPF
10-14-2009, 10:37 AM
I think that the game looked like the run Jake had, if not a little uglier. I'll take the win but it really doesn't fix anything.

I agree, and I'll feel the same even if we win our next two games because we should win those games.

notacarolinafan
10-18-2009, 08:56 PM
2 in a row!:cool:

Caddy
10-19-2009, 08:25 PM
How bad was our Run D? Next time we play I wouldn't be surprised if Delhomme attempts less than 10 passes.

T-RICH49
10-19-2009, 08:29 PM
rumor I hear is you guys acquired Tank Tyler for an undisclosed 2010 pick

Splat
10-19-2009, 08:51 PM

Its true I like the move for you guys I'm a little let down the Chiefs dealt him.

JPF
10-19-2009, 09:48 PM

Yup, Charlotte newspapers are reporting it's a 5th rounder.

So now we don't have a first or a fifth, and one other pick (an undisclosed late rounder that was traded to Cleveland for Louis Leonard that is either a 6th or 7th), but we have an extra 6th from Oakland from a draft day trade last year.

CaliPanthers420
10-19-2009, 11:13 PM
I like the trade, gives us very good depth at the DT position for the future. Also makes drafting a DT, not as much of a need.

I dont know what this means for Maake Kemoeatu, I bet it depends on if he can come back to full strength.

Kemo
D. Lewis
Tank Tyler
Louis Leonard
Corey Irvin
Nick Hayden
Terrance Taylor (Practice Squad, very solid NT prospect)

Cut Kemo,

NT: Tyler / Leonard / Taylor
UT: Lewis / Irvin / Hayden
(Very solid unit in my opinion and pretty young)

Hollis Thomas is probably a stop gap for this year.

JPF
10-20-2009, 09:19 PM
I'd say it's more likely that Lewis is cut than Kemo. I also have a hard time imagining us keeping 6 DT's on the roster.

And uh, Terrence Taylor was cut from the PS.

BuffaloBillsFan
10-20-2009, 11:10 PM
What are your thoughts on the Bills? We play each other this weekend, I think Carolina should be able to handle us pretty easily, but our defense is quietly very solid.

I think Carolina wins it 21-17

JPF
10-20-2009, 11:25 PM
I'd imagine the Panthers will be favored but I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see the Bills win. Until Jake stops throwing so many to the wrong jerseys it's hard for me to expect us to actually win a game.

Though if you guys don't find a way to shut down Williams & Stewart it might be a very moot point.

ShutDwn
10-25-2009, 07:23 PM
I'd imagine the Panthers will be favored but I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see the Bills win. Until Jake stops throwing so many to the wrong jerseys it's hard for me to expect us to actually win a game.

Though if you guys don't find a way to shut down Williams & Stewart it might be a very moot point.

Well, I think all Panther fans know what to expect when we play a bad team with a backup QB starting for them.

Quick question, has there ever been a starting QB with a stat line like this:

4 TDs
12 INTs
2 Fumbles

I really doubt there has even been a QB that was starter for 6 games with that kind of production.

JPF
10-25-2009, 10:26 PM
Jake has 13 ints.

ShutDwn
10-25-2009, 10:49 PM
Jake has 13 ints.

Oh, I didn't know he added another to the bills game. I didn't get to watch, I'm kind of glad I guess.

There isn't a player in the league that would still start if they had turned the ball over at least once every game and usually more.

It is just hypocritical for John Fox to preach the football style he does and then stick with Jake.

JPF
10-26-2009, 06:29 AM
Yup, he had 3 INT's in the game to bring his total for the year to 13. It was very hard to watch.

I agree with ya man. If Fox sticks with Jake next week I may lose my mind.

ShutDwn
11-03-2009, 10:58 AM
Crazy game for us. DeAngelo went wild and Stewart looked good too. Peppers was beastly on defense, too bad he can't do that regularly.

Sherrod Martin was interesting, I don't know how much I want to credit him, but it is definitely something that caught my attention.

Also, Charles Johnson was playing decently I thought.

Who was covering Fitzgerald for the majority? Either way they did a fantastic job.

Auron
11-05-2009, 09:44 PM
So what do you guys think about playing the Saints? The past few seasons the Panthers have given the Saints a lot of problems... Sean Payton is only 1-5 against John Fox's team as a Head Coach; and the Panthers have won 7 Straight games in the state of Louisiana when facing the Saints.

this is probably the best we've been in a while but we will likely be missing 2 of our best run Defenders.. Fujita, and Ellis will be likely out.. and the Panthers really look like they are starting to get hot running the ball with the DeAngelo Williams, Stewart tandem. Which could be a problem for us considering we've struggled a bit stopping the run the past few weeks. How do you guys see this game playing out?

ShutDwn
11-06-2009, 02:41 PM
So what do you guys think about playing the Saints? The past few seasons the Panthers have given the Saints a lot of problems... Sean Payton is only 1-5 against John Fox's team as a Head Coach; and the Panthers have won 7 Straight games in the state of Louisiana when facing the Saints.

this is probably the best we've been in a while but we will likely be missing 2 of our best run Defenders.. Fujita, and Ellis will be likely out.. and the Panthers really look like they are starting to get hot running the ball with the DeAngelo Williams, Stewart tandem. Which could be a problem for us considering we've struggled a bit stopping the run the past few weeks. How do you guys see this game playing out?

I wouldn't worry about your team. To keep up with the Saints we would need at least 300 yards from DeAngelo and Stewart and probably 3-4 TDs and a pretty good 2 TD performance from Jake. It is sad that the latter is less likely than the first.

ShutDwn
11-16-2009, 02:12 AM
Woops, forgot to post after the saints game. Oh well, I'm so busy with school right now I just forgot. I didn't even get to watch it much.

I saw parts of the Falcons game, I'm still swamped but I like seeing DeAngelo and Stewart finally getting out there and making plays. They weren't even getting a chance early in the season.

Jordan Gross is done for the year, we have lost two of our best players back to back weeks, this is really awful for us. Thomas Davis was playing amazing before going down, he was coming into his own and playing lights out this season.

Jake is doing a little better, but its like a house of cards, its just a matter of time till it collapses.

Sherrod Martin playing is still working it seems, he has been the beneficiary of some really poor throws, but he seems to be doing well. I wonder what happens to Godfrey.

I feel like we can already see a bit of a difference in the coverage under Meeks' coaching. Maybe I'm deceiving myself but I feel like they are tightening those windows. Playing Warner, Brees and Ryan were all good tests, we beat two of them so I guess its okay.

We were lucky Turner went out though, but we did lose Gross so I feel like that is a moot point.

Hope Smith's okay, back injuries can be the worst.

I feel like our record is accurate of who we are as a team currently, not great but I feel like they could get on a role. Oh wait, we have the toughest schedule...****.

SchizophrenicBatman
11-17-2009, 08:40 AM
this season looks destined for 7-9

really, its funny because the team is better than that but they were undermined by Jake's awful start. That loss to Buffalo is going to look ugly at the end of the year

ShutDwn
11-17-2009, 05:24 PM
this season looks destined for 7-9

really, its funny because the team is better than that but they were undermined by Jake's awful start. That loss to Buffalo is going to look ugly at the end of the year

Or the Dallas game.

I would easily buy an argument that if we had a consistent QB we could be 7-2, or 6-3

bigbluedefense
12-15-2009, 12:55 PM
There is potential that if John Fox gets fired, he may become our DC once again. Just speculation on my part, but I remember the Giants absolutely LOVING John Fox, so it wouldn't surprise me to see us bring him back in that capacity.

I don't really remember much of his schemes when he was our DC though. So I ask you guys, what style of D did Fox coach?

I know Meeks is the DC this year, so forget about this year. Im talking about years past, when Fox was running the show.

Was it mainly man coverage or zone? Did he blitz alot? What kind of blitzes? Did he run a lot of Cover 2? Mostly 4 man rushes? Did he do any line stunting? Did he use various formations or mainly generic fronts? Press coverage or off coverage?

What style of dline and LB did he prefer?

I know I asked a bunch, but Id appreciate your input. Thanks.

wicket
12-21-2009, 03:11 AM
cheers guys

Rjspartan
12-21-2009, 07:49 AM
Matt Moore is my hero <3

ShutDwn
12-27-2009, 06:53 PM
Where did this team come from? The offense is alive, the defense is playing very well and they even look inspired.

I didn't get to watch the game today but I saw the game against the Vikings and they looked pretty good. Matt Moore has proven that without Delhomme turning the ball over all the time we can at least be competitive.

Back to back three touchdown games is something we haven't seen in a long time. Steve Smith is actually getting the ball down field.

Also, Stewart is a monster. Our biggest problem with the run game is getting the ball to both DeAngelo and Stewart.

Rjspartan
12-27-2009, 07:06 PM
Now here is the question. Is Moore the QB of the future or do we need to get another QB to get this team back to the top of the NFC. I personally believe that Moore has what it takes to be a good QB in the NFL, now I'm not saying that he is an elite QB, but i do believe that he could be a notch below that. I think a good comparison is Eli Manning or Matt Schaub. All he needs to do is not make mistakes and he is doing more than that he is making big plays. With Moore we can go back to where we were last year without the mistakes of Delhomme.

ShutDwn
12-27-2009, 11:14 PM
Now here is the question. Is Moore the QB of the future or do we need to get another QB to get this team back to the top of the NFC. I personally believe that Moore has what it takes to be a good QB in the NFL, now I'm not saying that he is an elite QB, but i do believe that he could be a notch below that. I think a good comparison is Eli Manning or Matt Schaub. All he needs to do is not make mistakes and he is doing more than that he is making big plays. With Moore we can go back to where we were last year without the mistakes of Delhomme.

Right, which is a big question going into next year and still has yet to be answered. Its so hard to tell because success in the NFL is about staying ahead of the league. Once he has played enough to let teams really know his tendencies is when we will really see if he has the capability to be a quality QB.

He has shown the last two games that he can be very efficient as a compliment to the run game. I'd like to see him against really tough competition. Thats another reason why we should've gone to him much earlier regardless of Jake's injury, we need to know what he's got.

He has given us a something to hope for and he distributes the ball better than Jake does I feel like and most importantly he got the ball to Steve Smith.

Also, it sucks that Smith is done, he was so close to 1,000 yards.

bigbluedefense
12-28-2009, 01:21 PM
There is potential that if John Fox gets fired, he may become our DC once again. Just speculation on my part, but I remember the Giants absolutely LOVING John Fox, so it wouldn't surprise me to see us bring him back in that capacity.

I don't really remember much of his schemes when he was our DC though. So I ask you guys, what style of D did Fox coach?

I know Meeks is the DC this year, so forget about this year. Im talking about years past, when Fox was running the show.

Was it mainly man coverage or zone? Did he blitz alot? What kind of blitzes? Did he run a lot of Cover 2? Mostly 4 man rushes? Did he do any line stunting? Did he use various formations or mainly generic fronts? Press coverage or off coverage?

What style of dline and LB did he prefer?

I know I asked a bunch, but Id appreciate your input. Thanks.

oh hai guyz.

Auron
12-30-2009, 07:00 PM
oh hai guyz.

Panther fans just don't like you BBD. :(

Flyboy
12-31-2009, 12:57 PM
Panther fans just don't like you BBD. :(

Everyone should like BBD.

bigbluedefense
12-31-2009, 02:32 PM
Oh well, I tried :(

It doesn't matter now anyway, but still :(

SchizophrenicBatman
01-04-2010, 01:22 AM
Fox likes the base 4-3. Light on the blitz, though I don't know how much that had to do with the 4 man front being so devastating for the early part of his stint. He didn't really change (a common chord of his coaching) once Rucker fell off and Peppers went on sabbatical so I wouldnt expect anything different elsewhere.

He favors zone by a fair amount but uses man as well. IIRC Cover-3 was the main scheme before the switch with Meeks.

As for flavor and little wrinkles - not a whole lot. You see stunts and big DEs lined up at DT from time to time but it's rare. Nothing like the amount you saw Tuck inside the year the Giants won the SB or the weird **** the Ravens do. We do move Peppers around a little bit, but again, not as much as you'd expect. And as you may recall, one of his complaints was that we'd drop him into coverage a lot. Didn't see that as much last year

From a personnel standpoint:
He likes to have a decent rotation on the DLine. Even when we had Peppers and Rucker we would usually have a pretty solid pass rush specialist (Al Wallace for a couple years, then some other guy I forgot) behind the two of them to come in for a few plays. DT has been much more fluid. Over the last couple years it's become evident that he likes to have at least one Nose to eat space, with some guys who get penetration in the rotation

LB has been odd. We've had great MLB play basically Fox's entire tenure so I'm not sure if it's a position he values or if we've just gotten lucky. Even the years Morgan was out all season Chris Draft filled in adequately. For some idiotic reason Thomas Davis played strongside the first two years after they gave up on the safety experiment but he was switched to weakside this year and had really blown up before getting injured. If you recall, Will Witherspoon showed well weakside in the Fox 4-3 before signing with the Rams. The 3rd guy has typically been a cheap vet who doesnt make many mistakes or many plays

The secondary hasn't changed much. Other than the SB year where they took advantage of the press coverage Bill Polian got outlawed, it's been the same basic thought process. Get three starter level cover corners, a strong safety who can blow people up and some random dude to hopefully not mess up too bad at free.

ahhh what else? Before the DC switch, we used to get gashed by tights ends and running QBs on the regular. I suppose in theory this makes sense given we ran c3. Trgovac got ran out of town for being too passive and leaning on zone a bit much his last two years. Fox would "step in" from time to time to help him out when the D was struggling and typically they'd improve modestly as a result.

Overall, as long as the talent is there he's made pretty good use of it. And from what I can remember he does an adequate job covering up holes when they do exist. The main problem with his tenure here has been loyalty to bad players and inconsistency on offense. I feel he'd excel if he went back to coordinator, unless he mailed it in thinking the job is under him now. Provided he doesn't, I wouldn't expect him to be around long. Most of the fanbase will even admit they wouldn't be surprised if he wins as a HC elsewhere. He's just gotten too comfortable here and may need to go somewhere else that's down in the dumps to get the hunger back. If I was a Cleveland or a Buffalo I'd be looking to hire him away this offseason as the head guy

bigbluedefense
01-04-2010, 10:05 AM
Fox likes the base 4-3. Light on the blitz, though I don't know how much that had to do with the 4 man front being so devastating for the early part of his stint. He didn't really change (a common chord of his coaching) once Rucker fell off and Peppers went on sabbatical so I wouldnt expect anything different elsewhere.

He favors zone by a fair amount but uses man as well. IIRC Cover-3 was the main scheme before the switch with Meeks.

As for flavor and little wrinkles - not a whole lot. You see stunts and big DEs lined up at DT from time to time but it's rare. Nothing like the amount you saw Tuck inside the year the Giants won the SB or the weird **** the Ravens do. We do move Peppers around a little bit, but again, not as much as you'd expect. And as you may recall, one of his complaints was that we'd drop him into coverage a lot. Didn't see that as much last year

From a personnel standpoint:
He likes to have a decent rotation on the DLine. Even when we had Peppers and Rucker we would usually have a pretty solid pass rush specialist (Al Wallace for a couple years, then some other guy I forgot) behind the two of them to come in for a few plays. DT has been much more fluid. Over the last couple years it's become evident that he likes to have at least one Nose to eat space, with some guys who get penetration in the rotation

LB has been odd. We've had great MLB play basically Fox's entire tenure so I'm not sure if it's a position he values or if we've just gotten lucky. Even the years Morgan was out all season Chris Draft filled in adequately. For some idiotic reason Thomas Davis played strongside the first two years after they gave up on the safety experiment but he was switched to weakside this year and had really blown up before getting injured. If you recall, Will Witherspoon showed well weakside in the Fox 4-3 before signing with the Rams. The 3rd guy has typically been a cheap vet who doesnt make many mistakes or many plays

The secondary hasn't changed much. Other than the SB year where they took advantage of the press coverage Bill Polian got outlawed, it's been the same basic thought process. Get three starter level cover corners, a strong safety who can blow people up and some random dude to hopefully not mess up too bad at free.

ahhh what else? Before the DC switch, we used to get gashed by tights ends and running QBs on the regular. I suppose in theory this makes sense given we ran c3. Trgovac got ran out of town for being too passive and leaning on zone a bit much his last two years. Fox would "step in" from time to time to help him out when the D was struggling and typically they'd improve modestly as a result.

Overall, as long as the talent is there he's made pretty good use of it. And from what I can remember he does an adequate job covering up holes when they do exist. The main problem with his tenure here has been loyalty to bad players and inconsistency on offense. I feel he'd excel if he went back to coordinator, unless he mailed it in thinking the job is under him now. Provided he doesn't, I wouldn't expect him to be around long. Most of the fanbase will even admit they wouldn't be surprised if he wins as a HC elsewhere. He's just gotten too comfortable here and may need to go somewhere else that's down in the dumps to get the hunger back. If I was a Cleveland or a Buffalo I'd be looking to hire him away this offseason as the head guy

thanks man. thats all i needed to know. i appreciate it.

chapo123
01-07-2010, 09:52 AM
my mock

2. jordan shipley - wr
3. brandon ghee - cb
4. sean canfield - qb
5. jimmy graham - te
6. chet teofilo - g
7. matt asiata - rb

SchizophrenicBatman
01-18-2010, 05:08 PM
is that the caste football mock? i mean i know graham is technically black but...

Cigaro
01-18-2010, 05:12 PM
is that the caste football mock? i mean i know graham is technically black but...

?

http://media2.newsobserver.com/smedia/2009/10/02/21/ncsufbcap-1003.ART_GU8QS64T.1+17%20brandon%20ghee.embedded.p rod_affiliate.156.jpg

http://s.wsj.net/public/resources/images/OB-EP239_FOOTBA_E_20091004151032.jpg

https://secure.deseretnews.com/photos/midres/5838436.jpg

I'm pretty sure that is not the mock of a white supremacist.

wicket
02-23-2010, 03:22 PM
still need a Panthers GM for a forum mock thing:

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38839

post here to join

ShutDwn
04-27-2010, 03:25 PM
THE PANTHER THREAD LIVESSSSS

breaking news: Chris Harris has been traded back to the Bears

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/news/story?id=5139992

Sad to see him go. I hope Godfrey is ready to put his big boy pants on and play like a pro. I feel decent about Martin.

Our linebackers just got a lot more interesting.

scpanther22
04-27-2010, 06:18 PM
THE PANTHER THREAD LIVESSSSS

breaking news: Chris Harris has been traded back to the Bears

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/news/story?id=5139992

Sad to see him go. I hope Godfrey is ready to put his big boy pants on and play like a pro. I feel decent about Martin.

Our linebackers just got a lot more interesting.

Agree...I think Sherod Martin can step up and play well

ShutDwn
04-29-2010, 02:11 PM
Basically our entire season rests upon on defensive line in my opinion. If they can't do anything our offense must play keep away in basically every game because even if our DBs are good they won't last in coverage.

dj825
04-30-2010, 09:25 AM
so its good to see our young players getting to start but am i the only one who thinks Carolina could have gotten more than a backup LB for Harris? i heard he struggled some last year and i didnt get to see how much since i moved to TN but surely he didnt struggle that much did he? maybe this LB is alot better than i think but idk it just seems like we maybe could have gotten more.

scpanther22
04-30-2010, 06:27 PM
Basically our entire season rests upon on defensive line in my opinion. If they can't do anything our offense must play keep away in basically every game because even if our DBs are good they won't last in coverage.

agree..it will be interesting to see how this Dline looks

ShutDwn
05-01-2010, 07:13 PM
so its good to see our young players getting to start but am i the only one who thinks Carolina could have gotten more than a backup LB for Harris? i heard he struggled some last year and i didnt get to see how much since i moved to TN but surely he didnt struggle that much did he? maybe this LB is alot better than i think but idk it just seems like we maybe could have gotten more.

Jon Beason, Thomas Davis, Diggs, Anderson, Connor, Jamar Williams

Plus the rookie coming in on special teams, Diggs could be at risk to not make the team, Anderson played well replacing Davis.

scpanther22
05-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Jon Beason, Thomas Davis, Diggs, Anderson, Connor, Jamar Williams

Plus the rookie coming in on special teams, Diggs could be at risk to not make the team, Anderson played well replacing Davis.

Diggs plays for St.louis now

ShutDwn
05-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Diggs plays for St.louis now

Yeah, I thought he may have been gone but I was feeling a bit lazy to look. Anderson or Connor would have beaten him out this year I think anyway.

scpanther22
05-06-2010, 07:39 PM
Yeah, I thought he may have been gone but I was feeling a bit lazy to look. Anderson or Connor would have beaten him out this year I think anyway.

Agree..I think Connor will get the job.

ShutDwn
05-08-2010, 01:46 PM
http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2010/05/weighing-in-on-smith-clausen.html

People seem to try and smear Clausen's name a lot...

dj825
05-09-2010, 12:22 AM
i didnt like the pick and still dont just because of Moore but now that we have him i want him to play up to all the hype so im glad to hear Clausen did well and isnt being a d bag so far, hopefully itll stick.

ShutDwn
05-09-2010, 06:45 PM
We'd have been stupid to pass on Clausen because of Moore. I am a Matt Moore supporter but he hasn't started a full season, teams don't have much tape on him and he isn't a "first to arrive last to leave" kind of guy which to me is so important to being a leader and a QB capable of winning at a high level.

dj825
05-13-2010, 02:24 PM
yeah i agree since he was there it was definitely the right pick, he was to me the best QB in the draft and although i didnt think we should have taken a QB that early you cant pass on a top 5 talent like that in the second round especially when you do have someone like Moore who hasnt started a full season.

scpanther22
07-19-2010, 01:32 PM
TC is soon

cant wait.