PDA

View Full Version : Carolina Panthers Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

ShutDwn
07-28-2010, 02:50 PM
http://media.charlotteobserver.com/smedia/2010/07/28/11/PANTHERS0729_01.standalone.prod_affiliate.138.jpg

so lovable

J-Mike88
08-12-2010, 05:22 PM
Wow, 2 weeks since a post in Panther Country?
No hope, or no members from the Carolina area?

I like Matt Moore, and there's no better 1-2 punch at RB than DeAngelo-Stewart.

If your defense plays well, you can knock off the Saints and the Falcons.

SchizophrenicBatman
08-12-2010, 09:40 PM
overreactions based on 1 preseason game:

- hardy is a beast
- secondary is questionable
- kalil needs to be extended asap. bernadeu sucks
- special teams still blows
- eric moore is making the team
- clausen will be good. sitting a year won't hurt him either. he wouldnt fall apart if he started as a rookie but he needs more time than some people think. needs to work on throwing a tighter spiral
- cantwell is a scrub. moore/clausen/pike will be the three
- WRs still blow
- josh vaughn or whoever is camp fodder. d-will/stew/sutton is a lock as the rotation. goodson needs to show something to make the team
- duke robinson won't ever be a starting o-lineman for us
- both kasay and baker shouldn't be as secure with their jobs as they are. hopefully John walks away during the lockout year because he's starting to deteriorate and I'd rather see him go out while he still has it than hang on
- whoever the rhys lloyd replacement is shouldnt make the team. id cut him after tonight and try to find someone else
- armanti edwards was a horrible pick. he better be a baller ass wildcat QB because he looks lost on ST

ShutDwn
08-15-2010, 02:55 PM
I didn't get to see the game when the interesting players were in which sucked. Clausen had a decent debut I'd say, Moore is still the starter and it is funny people think otherwise.

Greg Hardy looked good, back to back sacks is definitely a good way to get attention and get playing time.

I'm going to support Edwards but he has a ton to learn about receiving.

needs more Brandon Lafell

I don't really see much else to say about the game, the second and third games are the ones to watch if any

JPF
08-17-2010, 12:59 AM
A few thoughts...

* Edwards needs time before anyone really gets on him too much. He's returning punts for the first time since high school (if he even did it then) and playing WR for the first time since high school. I wasn't a huge fan of the pick but "it is what it is".

* Hardy looks like a monster, but I'd like to see him against some first teamers before I declare him the saving grace of our D-line.

* Clausen had a pretty good debut, but it's still Moore's job.

* Cantwell has absolutely no pocket awareness. Like, less than none actually. I wouldn't be surprised if Fox & Hurney scour the waiver wire once cuts begin for another QB. I'm hard-pressed to imagine them going into the season with 2 QB's that are rookies on the deep chart. I could see Pike being an IR stash.

* Rosario continues to look like he could be a superb TE, if he would remain consistent and if they would keep him in the lineup.

* Gamble is very underrated by our fan base. Marshall is far from consistent in his play, and Munnerlyn though loved by a portion of our fan base just does not impress me.

* Kasay and Baker both need to go after this year. Kasay especially, he is deteriorating at an alarming rate.

* I'm not liking the current LB group as they're using them. I just don't understand the logic of moving Beason from MLB, where he's proven to be a stud, to WLB, where Anderson played well last year, so that they can put Connor in at MLB and Anderson at SLB.

Don Vito
08-17-2010, 09:38 AM
http://www.fantasycollegeblitz.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Greg-Hardy1.bmp

The future.

ShutDwn
08-17-2010, 08:43 PM
* Gamble is very underrated by our fan base. Marshall is far from consistent in his play, and Munnerlyn though loved by a portion of our fan base just does not impress me.

* I'm not liking the current LB group as they're using them. I just don't understand the logic of moving Beason from MLB, where he's proven to be a stud, to WLB, where Anderson played well last year, so that they can put Connor in at MLB and Anderson at SLB.

Well fans love Munnerlyn because he was 7th round pick and he won the nickle position in his first season. Of course it also depends on level of competition for the spot, but there weren't many 7th round picks getting any playing time. He got beat for a TD in the preseason game but I don't expect him to be a black hole for our defense.

Side note: I've read good things about CJ Wilson this year. Sure would be nice to have a good dime package with the saints spreading us out.

And I agree about the linebackers

JPF
08-18-2010, 12:48 AM
Actually I was referring to the number of Gamecock fans that were talking about him from the second he was drafted like he was the second coming of Deion Sanders. The Panthers board I post the most on nowadays seems to be overran with Gamecock-Panther fans.

ShutDwn
08-18-2010, 12:16 PM
Actually I was referring to the number of Gamecock fans that were talking about him from the second he was drafted like he was the second coming of Deion Sanders. The Panthers board I post the most on nowadays seems to be overran with Gamecock-Panther fans.

Aww I see. Which forum?

JPF
08-19-2010, 09:57 AM
Pantherfanz

SchizophrenicBatman
08-21-2010, 10:58 PM
Munnerlyn isn't good. He's useful, and def WAY overrated by our fan base but he'd be better off 4th on the depth chart than wherever he is

I didn't get to see the game today but I heard from a friend that Fox looked pissed about Edwards during it. I wonder if he didn't sign off on that pick. Trying to turn a DivIAA QB into a PR/WR doesn't really sound like his MO in the first place, nevermind that he's having to do it with his 1 year contract. Richardson went to a SoCon school and I wouldn't be surprised if we had some AppState grads in the front office, so it makes you think...

ShutDwn
08-22-2010, 08:36 PM
Munnerlyn isn't good. He's useful, and def WAY overrated by our fan base but he'd be better off 4th on the depth chart than wherever he is

I didn't get to see the game today but I heard from a friend that Fox looked pissed about Edwards during it. I wonder if he didn't sign off on that pick. Trying to turn a DivIAA QB into a PR/WR doesn't really sound like his MO in the first place, nevermind that he's having to do it with his 1 year contract. Richardson went to a SoCon school and I wouldn't be surprised if we had some AppState grads in the front office, so it makes you think...

Interesting... Edwards gets hyped so much for not having any skills for the position. He is a project player and the third round isn't where you start projects at WR. Mike Goodson was basically the Edwards of last year and now you hear nothing about him. Just think about how good we would be if all the training camp sensations actually came through. (or for any team I guess)

Anyway, I didn't see any of the game cause I was at work but looking at the stats it looks like I didn't miss much at all.

JPF
08-22-2010, 11:21 PM
You didn't miss much. The kick & punt returns were horrid, our offense was horrid. The defense was pretty solid. If what we saw last night continues into the season, Jason Bakers leg will fall off from punting too much by the bye week.

SchizophrenicBatman
08-28-2010, 10:39 PM
so in summation, our defense is holy **** balls good

the special teams still blow, though goodson did beast the **** out of tennessee on one play

at least theyre not going to force edwards into a role he obviously cant handle. here's hoping one of those season ending "knee sprains" or whatever show up in practice next week

the offense is still awful. the qbs arent good enough, the wrs arent good enough, the line isnt, hell even the rbs (sans goodson) didnt look up to snuff today

and captain munnerlyn still sucks

ShutDwn
09-07-2010, 07:10 PM
yoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyo

who's ready for this season??????????

I say its a borderline winning year but lots of promise.

Bring it on Giants

JPF
09-08-2010, 09:17 AM
Honestly, 5-11 wouldn't surprise me but neither would 10-6. Too many questions to really have a feel for how this year is going to go.

JPF
09-13-2010, 07:31 AM
Not exactly a great start to the season...

ShutDwn
09-13-2010, 10:43 AM
Not exactly a great start to the season...

Charles ******* Godfrey...

I give credit to the Giants, but I felt like we made it easy for them and I mostly mean for their receivers.

The Linebackers were decent, the team dropped like 10 interceptions though.

I didn't see play calling that would help the offense get in a rythm. I am forever puzzled when it comes to teams and the hurry up offense. Matt Moore puts together a decent drive to end the half and then we never come back to it while we were in the game despite it being the only thing that worked.

I thought we were looking decent until the second quarter and then the Giants just took off and the Panthers did nothing.

SchizophrenicBatman
09-13-2010, 05:09 PM
7-9

At this point I'm hoping Fox walks at the end of the year, Jerry is wrong and we play 2011, end up hiring some reject college coach in a panic and pull a 1-15 out of our ass so we start 2012 with this man...

http://www.docsports.com/images/lib/large/andrew-luck-2.jpg

ShutDwn
09-19-2010, 02:08 PM
This team is awful.

JPF
09-19-2010, 11:46 PM
This team is awful.

Awful seems like an understatement.

Miaoww
09-20-2010, 04:01 AM
Clausen for president.

SchizophrenicBatman
09-20-2010, 01:54 PM
its time for the change. just hope it isnt too early for clausen. wouldve preferred him to sit all year and let that toe heal. it's been 3 years for stewart and he's still got a busted foot

NY+Giants=NYG
09-20-2010, 02:03 PM
This team is awful.

You guys have a bunch of no namers on your team.. Steve Smith is good, and your two Rbs. After that it's a mess of people, especially on defense. Gross is a good OL men, but that defense is terrible outside of Beason. O'connor I root for, but the rest are ok. Bunch of no namers and you're trying to win in this league with that.

I am not surprised you guys lost again. On top of that, now enough film is out on Matt Moore, so I expect him to come down to reality statistically.

SchizophrenicBatman
09-20-2010, 03:25 PM
gross is riding on past success. he's the new mike wahle.

ShutDwn
09-20-2010, 06:16 PM
You guys have a bunch of no namers on your team.. Steve Smith is good, and your two Rbs. After that it's a mess of people, especially on defense. Gross is a good OL men, but that defense is terrible outside of Beason. O'connor I root for, but the rest are ok. Bunch of no namers and you're trying to win in this league with that.

I am not surprised you guys lost again. On top of that, now enough film is out on Matt Moore, so I expect him to come down to reality statistically.

Its more than that though, somehow Richard Marshall hasn't gotten better since he began with us he has steadily gotten worse and Godfrey sucks. I really only tolerate Martin and Gamble right now.

Our linebackers are good enough, Dan Connor is playing with force in the middle but our line is the no name part. Right now I would say Greg Hardy will be our best lineman before the end of the season.

On offense, our line has been pushed around like children. DeAngelo routinely makes men miss in the backfield just to gain two yards.

Moore is doing what every QB does and thats throw it to Smith because I just don't see a lot of cohesive routes being run. I see the routes that don't play off each other at all, they don't set one receiver up. Instead one guy runs a post in the slot, the other runs a hitch on the other side and then someone else runs a dig.

I swear I could dig up posts from 3 years ago and the problems would be similar. Lack of intensity, offensive playcalling and inability to identify and draft talent.

SchizophrenicBatman
09-21-2010, 12:29 AM
honestly half the reason the team is no namers is because we play in the second most invisible market in the nfl after jacksonville. if dante rosario played in san diego people would talk about him like he's this huge weapon for philip rivers and the chargers are lucky to have another TE after gates and blahblahblah (rosario isnt great or anything but he's flashy and would get talked up, guaranteed)

but yea, here are our "names"

Steve Smith
Jordan Gross
Jimmy Clausen
Jon Beason
DeAngelo/Stewart

and here are our good players
SS
Beason
The RBs
Ryan Kalil
Jeff Otah (injured)
Connor (for two downs)
Chris Gamble (good, nothing more)

that's not a ton of talent, but there are teams with worse top players than that. the main problem is that our best player (or even one of the top 25) isnt a QB and like shutdwn said, we have a lot of turds

players who wouldnt start on other teams
charles godfrey
richard marshall (would probably be in top3 rotation i guess, im sure some zone teams would cut him because he's too dumb to learn a playbook though)
james anderson
anyone on the dline
the QB
ANY of our non-Smith WRs. I'm not even sure they'd make a team.

Don Vito
09-21-2010, 12:40 AM
Greg Hardyz?

ShutDwn
09-21-2010, 09:29 AM
Greg Hardyz?

He's our only hope.

SchizophrenicBatman
09-21-2010, 12:17 PM
hardy is a rookie with a lot of talent and promise but I don't think I can put him in the good area just yet. he blew a read in the tampa game that let them score their first TD

if this team were run like an actual NFL franchise and not a UFL team just throwing cheap crap on the field and hoping some of it works out he'd be coming in situationally only, get maybe 6-7 sacks this year to go with ST highlights. instead he's already pushing for the starting job playing like 50% of snaps combined between DT and DE

ShutDwn
09-21-2010, 06:12 PM
hardy is a rookie with a lot of talent and promise but I don't think I can put him in the good area just yet. he blew a read in the tampa game that let them score their first TD

if this team were run like an actual NFL franchise and not a UFL team just throwing cheap crap on the field and hoping some of it works out he'd be coming in situationally only, get maybe 6-7 sacks this year to go with ST highlights. instead he's already pushing for the starting job playing like 50% of snaps combined between DT and DE

I'd rather him get playing time to work through the good area and then into the awesome by the end of the season.

Unless Clausen truly is the chosen one I don't see anything saving Fox's job. Oh, and thank god he traded away all our picks for those impact players.

Phew

NY+Giants=NYG
09-21-2010, 06:41 PM
What's the starting defense look like? Beason and Connor I know. The other people I have no clue. I remember some on the DL, but don't know where they came from. I'd would say most of the known people are on offense.

JPF
09-22-2010, 07:37 AM
Most of our known quantities are on offense (Williams & Stewart, Steve Smith, Gross and Otah even though Gross is playing like crap and Otah hasn't played a snap yet, Clausen but he's known from his college days, and Kalil).

Our starting defense is...

RDE- Tyler Brayton
RDT- Louis Leonard
LDT- Ed Johnson
LDE- Charles Johnson
SLB- James Anderson
MLB- Dan Connor
WLB- Jon Beason
CB- Chris Gamble
CB- Richard Marshall
FS- Sherrod Martin
SS- Charles Godfrey

Beason & Connor are the standouts. Gamble is decent, but the rest kind of leave a lot to be desired.

NY+Giants=NYG
09-22-2010, 12:51 PM
RDE- Tyler Brayton
RDT- Louis Leonard
LDT- Ed Johnson
LDE- Charles Johnson
SLB- James Anderson

That right there.. When I saw that opening day, I asked myself who the heck are those guys? Where did you get them from the NFL discount store? I don't know if you guys can win games with no namers like that, unless your scheme is very, very good. That was my initial impression. We won that game, so I was interested to see if you guys could beat the Bucs. But a loss to them, and I am pretty sure you guys need to spend some money in free agency.

Martin? Godfrey? Who the hell are these guys on defense? I know your two Cbs, and of course Beason and Connor. The rest I look at and wonder how many games can you win with these guys.

SchizophrenicBatman
09-22-2010, 01:17 PM
brayton is a solid average nfl vet de. we actually got him from FA through the raiders a few years back. i think he might be the oldest field player on the team after smith. charles johnson was a draft pick and probably will have his spot taken by everette brown or greg hardy by the end of the year. the DTs really are bargain bin trash. ed johnson was on the colts D for a while I remember, but I think he'd be out of the league if we didnt pick him up. leonard idk where he got him? the rams?

james anderson is another guy like charles johnson who we drafted in the mid rounds a few years ago. we usually get away with 1 guy like this filling in a spot on the defense every year (i would compare brayton to kemoeatu who we had at DT for a while, except without a ton of idiots trying to defend him for being painfully average), but now they're like half of our D and it's a big problem, yea

martin and godfrey are both young and could be good in time. personally i think godfrey sucks and is a lost cause but martin has potential and hasn't played terribly for us.

bigbluedefense
09-22-2010, 01:35 PM
That right there.. When I saw that opening day, I asked myself who the heck are those guys? Where did you get them from the NFL discount store? I don't know if you guys can win games with no namers like that, unless your scheme is very, very good. That was my initial impression. We won that game, so I was interested to see if you guys could beat the Bucs. But a loss to them, and I am pretty sure you guys need to spend some money in free agency.

Martin? Godfrey? Who the hell are these guys on defense? I know your two Cbs, and of course Beason and Connor. The rest I look at and wonder how many games can you win with these guys.

They're not that bad on defense Shock.

They have 2 underrated CBs in Gamble and Marshall. They have 2 good LBs in Connor and Beason, and another one in Thomas Davis who unfortunately landed on IR.

Everrette Brown and Greg Hardy could potentially become a nice DE duo in the future.

Godfrey isn't a bad FS, i know he didn't show it against us, but for the most part he's solid but not spectacular.

Theres talent on that defense, they're just not quite there yet. And I personally think Ron Meeks is a joke of a DC.

NY+Giants=NYG
09-22-2010, 01:38 PM
brayton is a solid average nfl vet de. we actually got him from FA through the raiders a few years back. i think he might be the oldest field player on the team after smith. charles johnson was a draft pick and probably will have his spot taken by everette brown or greg hardy by the end of the year. the DTs really are bargain bin trash. ed johnson was on the colts D for a while I remember, but I think he'd be out of the league if we didnt pick him up. leonard idk where he got him? the rams?

james anderson is another guy like charles johnson who we drafted in the mid rounds a few years ago. we usually get away with 1 guy like this filling in a spot on the defense every year (i would compare brayton to kemoeatu who we had at DT for a while, except without a ton of idiots trying to defend him for being painfully average), but now they're like half of our D and it's a big problem, yea

martin and godfrey are both young and could be good in time. personally i think godfrey sucks and is a lost cause but martin has potential and hasn't played terribly for us.

Yeah he is their first round pick or former first rounder. I recognized the name. Ahh yeah Ed Johnson was on the Colts. Now I realize that name sounds familiar. Still though was he even good or was he in the discount isle?

It's good you wrote about the rest. However, I can't see you guys winning a lot of games with that defense. I do like Beason and DC, but the rest I don't think will cut it against other teams.

I expect the Bengals offense to do well against you guys. They can put up points, and I am not sure your defense has the goods to stop them.

NY+Giants=NYG
09-22-2010, 01:41 PM
They're not that bad on defense Shock.

They have 2 underrated CBs in Gamble and Marshall. They have 2 good LBs in Connor and Beason, and another one in Thomas Davis who unfortunately landed on IR.

Everrette Brown and Greg Hardy could potentially become a nice DE duo in the future.

Godfrey isn't a bad FS, i know he didn't show it against us, but for the most part he's solid but not spectacular.

Theres talent on that defense, they're just not quite there yet. And I personally think Ron Meeks is a joke of a DC.

I don't know man.. I am very skeptical. Do you think this defense can compete against the Bengals, who can put up points? I don't think so. I expect them to do well against this defense. This defense used to be loaded with talent. I remember looking at them and feeling like having an upset stomach when we faced them. Now it went from the big time guys to a bunch of avg joes. I don't know BBD. I don't expect them to be good on defense. And they have talent on offense, but if their QB stinks, then this team won't stay afloat.

bigbluedefense
09-22-2010, 01:43 PM
I don't know man.. I am very skeptical. Do you think this defense can compete against the Bengals, who can put up points? I don't think so. I expect them to do well against this defense. This defense used to be loaded with talent. I remember looking at them and feeling like having an upset stomach when we faced them. Now it went from the big time guys to a bunch of avg joes. I don't know BBD. I don't expect them to be good on defense. And they have talent on offense, but if their QB stinks, then this team won't stay afloat.

I'm talking more about the future of the franchise, not this year. They gotta fire Meeks, he's terrible.

They need DTs. But their secondary isn't really that bad, and they have good LBs and promising DEs moving forward. Give em a year or 2, and they'll bounce back.

Meeks system doesn't fit the personnel either. And they are playing Beason out of position which hurts them.

SchizophrenicBatman
09-22-2010, 04:14 PM
the scheme isn't the problem with beason, it's connor. he simply can't play anywhere else in a 4-3. he's a 2 down MLB or on the bench. maybe you could shoehorn him into SLB, but it'd be just as odd a fit as moving Beason

i dont agree with marshall being underrated either. underexposed because he plays in carolina? maybe. but he basically is what he is. a solid 2nd CB. he's shown hardly any improvement since his rookie year and is completely lost in zone. same with godfrey who has the measureables but constantly blows coverage

the DTs were the biggest worry coming in, though surprisingly the Dline has been fine this year. I don't know if this is just because you guys didnt run on us much and that the corpse of Cadillac Williams needs to be benched, but theyve done ok so far. Not the kind of pressure the Colts got on you guys, for sure, but they've held down the run

JPF
09-24-2010, 03:13 PM
So at this point how many wins do you expect?

At this point I'm saying 4 tops.

SchizophrenicBatman
09-26-2010, 08:40 PM
id still go over

the season is already over but never count fox out at pulling down some meaningless wins in weeks 10+

clausen showed signs of life (though he really wasnt very good, basically a moore-esque performance with a prettier ball and less of a boner for throwing to 89) so maybe he hits a groove late in the year and we win 4 straight or something like that

ShutDwn
09-27-2010, 04:53 PM
id still go over

the season is already over but never count fox out at pulling down some meaningless wins in weeks 10+

clausen showed signs of life (though he really wasnt very good, basically a moore-esque performance with a prettier ball and less of a boner for throwing to 89) so maybe he hits a groove late in the year and we win 4 straight or something like that

Ya, we win meaningless games to worsen our draft position, suck at drafting, and then carry no momentum to the next year.

bam bam
09-28-2010, 11:18 PM
How do you all think Clausen is going to do Sunday? Do you think he is going to be able to connect with Steve Smith at all?

JPF
09-29-2010, 07:47 AM
Louis Leonard was released. So the starting job is now totally belongs to Landri. (Landri has been starting because of nagging injuries to Leonard, but Leonard was still listed as the starter on the Panthers depth charts).

JPF
09-30-2010, 09:52 AM
Panthers used the roster spot opened by letting Leonard go to sign OL Chris Morris (formerly of the Raiders).

ShutDwn
10-03-2010, 11:57 AM
Panthers used the roster spot opened by letting Leonard go to sign OL Chris Morris (formerly of the Raiders).

No impact signing.

We're playing the Saints, I expect Brees to treat Godfrey like the revolving door that he is.

A blitzing defense will also wreck whoever is starting because they'll be ready when they force it to Smith.

ShutDwn
10-03-2010, 03:06 PM
Wow... Just wow.

We needed like six yards for Kasay and that is what we came up with?

SchizophrenicBatman
10-03-2010, 05:38 PM
^^ that C might come in handy if Kalil goes down. Remember how awful Bernadeu looked with snaps in preseason? Plus he obviously sucks at RG too

Anyway I thought that was another solid, if unspectacular game out of Clausen. His only real impact play was on a blown coverage, but hey, at least he was able to recognize it and get the ball there. Poorly run 2 minute drill and other play clock issues, but that's why he's getting experience now

Get that top 5 draft pick and worry about the rest later. Gettis looks like he might be a keeper

JPF
10-05-2010, 01:11 PM
Dwayne Jarrett was arrested this morning for his 2nd DUI.

SchizophrenicBatman
10-05-2010, 04:49 PM
why is he still on the team?

im sure there are hundreds of 6'5 WRs who run 4.8s and have okay hands

JPF
10-06-2010, 06:40 AM
Jarrett was cut and they replaced him on the roster with David Clowney.

ShutDwn
10-06-2010, 11:45 AM
Dwayne Jarrett was arrested this morning for his 2nd DUI.

OH NO!

How will we ever win without him on the team???

Pete Carrol is gonna be picking him up soon I bet.

JPF
10-07-2010, 02:55 PM
I was actually hoping that they'd try to trade Jarrett to the Seahawks for a 7th rounder, a 7th rounder would likely give us more production than he has.

JPF
10-08-2010, 02:31 PM
Smitty and Martin have been ruled out for the Bears game according to the Charlotte Observer.

SchizophrenicBatman
10-10-2010, 03:23 PM
this team sucks

JPF
10-10-2010, 03:49 PM
Sucks just doesn't seem like a strong enough term...

10-10-2010, 07:48 PM
Worst team in the league. Atleast the Bills can score touchdowns.

JPF
10-11-2010, 05:51 PM
Panthers cut Tim Duckworth and signed Devin Thomas today.

ShutDwn
10-11-2010, 08:09 PM
Our best offensive players don't get the ball.
DeAngelo's attempts in order (16,17,10,13,12)

Stewart's attempts in order (5,8,8,7,8)

DeAngelo should have at least 25 touches but they get behind the downs so badly and they can't ever run it.

I heard a rumor the Patriots were asking about Steve Smith, what do you guys think about that?

This sucks to ask because Steve Smith is my favorite Panther but I have to wonder if he wants to be traded to a real team. I wouldn't really blame him, he is starting to get older and I think he really wants to win. I guess I would like him for to actually be relevant in the NFL, because I know he can tear it up but not on this team currently.

RaiderNation
10-13-2010, 02:27 PM
Whos the "#1" RB for you guys now? Is it still a 50/50 split or would you guys say Williams is still the starter?

JPF
10-13-2010, 08:02 PM
Williams is still the starter. It's never really been a 50-50 split if you go back and look at their actual number of carries. Even last year when they both passed 1100 yards, Williams was getting around 65-70% of the carries before he got hurt.

SchizophrenicBatman
10-14-2010, 05:25 PM
According to http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2010/10/12/re-focused-week-5-bears-at-panthers/ Clausen didn't complete a single pass to the left side of the field this week. Great, we have Chris Weinke 2.0

And I thought it was bad when Moore could only complete passes when he rolled out to one side or the other essentially cutting the field in half...

Oh yea, they hate LaFell too. I don't which WR pick in that round was worse, him or Armanti

JPF
10-14-2010, 06:11 PM
I'd say LaFell at the moment, we passed on Jordan Shipley to get him.

Armanti we knew was a project player, though I'll never understand why a regime that knows it's in its' last year waste the time drafting one.

SchizophrenicBatman
10-14-2010, 06:34 PM
Jordan Shipley is going to seem like small potatoes come the 2011 draft when you see the names that go from #33-40 that we could have instead of Armanti

JPF
10-15-2010, 06:44 AM
Jordan Shipley is going to seem like small potatoes come the 2011 draft when you see the names that go from #33-40 that we could have instead of Armanti

No doubt. I was looking at that yesterday actually. Quite possible we could have gotten an immediate starter at RG (the weak spot on our o-line) with that pick.

They both look like pretty bad moves at the moment and will likely only look worse as time goes by.

Don Vito
10-15-2010, 06:53 AM
I still can't understand why you traded this year's second for Edwards, I'm not bashing and he could turn out to be a good player I just never understood the logic behind that.

At least you have the future...

http://thematadorsports.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Greg-Hardy.bmp

Steal of the draft.

JPF
10-15-2010, 04:49 PM
I'm convinced it was the GM trying to look like he was making a 'big move'. Personally I think it was a dumb move. I like Armanti and he might turn out to be something for us (likely a Brad Smith type player but probably not as good), but that trade really just does not make sense. It was a reach to take him where they did to begin with.

D-Unit
10-16-2010, 12:01 PM
PM me if interested in being the GM of your team in our forum mock!

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43261

JPF
10-17-2010, 08:41 PM
Hot damn!

Panthers didn't lose today!

Of course, it was because they didn't play...but still!

Ravens1991
10-18-2010, 04:09 PM
I saw you guys got Eron RIley, is he on your 53 man roster? I was real high on him when he was at Baltimore, He is a freak. His workout # are comparable to DHB, and he was 2nd team all-acc when DHB was HM.

JPF
10-18-2010, 09:39 PM
He was on our practice squad. He was released 4 days after he was signed.

ShutDwn
10-19-2010, 02:37 PM
http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/10/18/panthers-going-nowhere-fast

literally read it and weep.

JPF
10-20-2010, 09:16 AM
So Matt Moore is the starter again. Yay!

/sarcasm

ShutDwn
10-20-2010, 03:09 PM
Nobody is going to be doing anything special with our receivers and the oline forgetting how to run block.

Fox already has a foot out the door.

JPF
10-20-2010, 03:41 PM
I think that last sentence you said is the key. It wouldn't surprise me if he's already started packing his office up...

JPF
10-24-2010, 04:30 PM
Holy crap...a win AND Gettis further emerges as the front runner for the #2 WR spot (assuming we believe Smitty holds up much longer as the #1).

Still see issues with the play calling, the talent on the d-line, and the hole that is RG (though Schwartz did do better today than Bernadeau). Be interesting to see how we do against the Rams next week and if the momentum continues.

SchizophrenicBatman
10-24-2010, 07:05 PM
the OLine is really a disaster. Garry Williams was 3rd string for a reason and Schwartz a back up for a reason. I still don't think Gross is earning his paychecks and Jeff King was trash today (his poor blocking lead to 2 turnovers from what I could tell)

but hey, we won! no 0-16!

Now put Jimmy Checkdown back in so we don't ruin our top 5 pick

JPF
10-24-2010, 10:48 PM
Schwartz did better than Bernadeau has sad to say.

ShutDwn
10-25-2010, 11:22 AM
Matt Moore was ok, that INT would have been death for us had we been playing a good team.

But I really only care about Mr. Gettis and even Lafell made some plays!

I'm not expecting that out of them every day but seriously, when was the last time you've seen someone other than Smith go 100+ and two TDs? I know he dropped one but he has enough understanding to run a double move as a rookie and that has me excited for him.

I hope DeAngelo is alright as well.

scpanther22
10-28-2010, 08:51 PM
Matt Moore was ok, that INT would have been death for us had we been playing a good team.

But I really only care about Mr. Gettis and even Lafell made some plays!

I'm not expecting that out of them every day but seriously, when was the last time you've seen someone other than Smith go 100+ and two TDs? I know he dropped one but he has enough understanding to run a double move as a rookie and that has me excited for him.

I hope DeAngelo is alright as well.

Agree..the best part of the game was seeing some young talent at the WR spot.

I hope we get to see Devin thomas and Armanti edwards some time this season

SchizophrenicBatman
10-31-2010, 03:05 PM
the more I watch this team suck the more I have to think that Richardson's cheap ass will see that we need a REAL qb on the team next year and that hurney and his idiot Everette Brown/Armanti Edwards drafting ass has to get fired

right? right???

Morton
10-31-2010, 04:30 PM
the more I watch this team suck the more I have to think that Richardson's cheap ass will see that we need a REAL qb on the team next year and that hurney and his idiot Everette Brown/Armanti Edwards drafting ass has to get fired

right? right???

Why can't Clausen develop into an solid QB? I mean, he's only a rookie - give him at least another year to learn the system.

Miaoww
10-31-2010, 09:21 PM

right? right???

Wrong. Wrong.

SchizophrenicBatman
10-31-2010, 09:33 PM
If Clausen can be the guy, great

Dont give a **** who it is, because this organization has never had one.

Not sure what sitting on the bench learning John Fox's stupid ass offensive "scheme" does for him, though. If I were the owner, I would tell him right the F now who the next coach is, and have him get a playbook

JPF
11-01-2010, 05:30 PM
I think Jerry will want whomever he hires as the next head coach to give Clausen a year, that being said if Andrew Luck is there I'd have a hard time not throwing something through my tv if the team passed on him.

Right now I see the team taking AJ Green. Smitty won't last much longer as a #1 receiver and none of the rookies have shown anything that makes me think any of them project any better in the future than a #2.

Auron
11-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Might be a bit early in the Week but oh well might as well get some discussion started; Saints are going to travel to your place this week. A lot of our fans are going to predict this as a slam dunk win for us, but honestly I don't think so. Coming off an emotional win, on the road against a Divisional opponent it will most likely be a very tough game.

John Fox always seems to get his team to play very tough against Saints and I don't think that changes this week. I mean we did manage to lose to the Cardinals, and Browns this season...and even our first game between us came down to the final drive. What are the thoughts going into this week?

JPF
11-02-2010, 06:14 AM
Jam our young receivers (they haven't shown the ability to get off them) and you should have no problem winning.

Auron
11-02-2010, 07:23 PM
Jam our young receivers (they haven't shown the ability to get off them) and you should have no problem winning.

Problem is we'll need healthy Corners to do that, and we just don't at this point. During the Pittsburgh game we were down to our 5th string Cornerback, and a Safety playing Cornerback.

JPF
11-08-2010, 06:25 AM
Well, that was a butt whooping.

JPF
11-08-2010, 12:15 PM
Moore, Connor, and T Davis placed on IR.

The hits just keep on coming...

Auron
11-08-2010, 07:25 PM
Well, that was a butt whooping.

Yeah I didn't think it would be that bad, it seemed like all of your guys were dropping like flies and outside the Sharper hit on Stewart none of the hits seemed to be that vicious... also we suffered quite a bit of injuries as well. However not as serious.

In your minds does Fox already have 1 foot out the door?

JPF
11-08-2010, 10:16 PM
Fox has had one foot out the door since last off-season when the team reportedly told him they'd let him take the Buffalo job if he wanted it.

ShutDwn
11-09-2010, 05:35 PM
Fox has had one foot out the door since last off-season when the team reportedly told him they'd let him take the Buffalo job if he wanted it.

Or he will go to Dallas depending on if Garrett stays.

NotRickJames
11-09-2010, 09:58 PM
Who do you think will get the start Sunday, Clausen or Pike?

I'd stick with Clausen at the start, but have him on a very short leash. See how he can do with a week's preparation. If he throws an interception early on, yank him (unless he's made some plays before the pick). If he's ineffective in the first half, move to Pike for the second half.

JPF
11-09-2010, 10:20 PM
And now Otah has been placed on the IR.

bullg8rdaddy
11-10-2010, 03:08 AM
Damn! That sucks.

SchizophrenicBatman
11-10-2010, 08:20 PM
Who do you think will get the start Sunday, Clausen or Pike?

I'd stick with Clausen at the start, but have him on a very short leash. See how he can do with a week's preparation. If he throws an interception early on, yank him (unless he's made some plays before the pick). If he's ineffective in the first half, move to Pike for the second half.

Clausen should be the guy for the next few games. Pike should not be an option for a real NFL team at this point. Unfortuantely, the Panthers are barely an NFL team and Fox seems to like Clausen even less than he liked Moore (which was not much) so who knows.

JPF
11-15-2010, 01:31 PM
Apparently Clausen sustained a concussion yesterday and his status for next Sunday is questionable at best. The Tony Pike Era seems to have began.

11-18-2010, 03:33 PM
Looks more like the Brian St. Pierre era now. Awesome.

JPF
11-19-2010, 07:43 AM
A QB that's been on the team less than a week is getting the start. Guess they don't want to put another rookie behind that O-line.

ShutDwn
12-06-2010, 11:23 AM
Well, there goes another game. I didn't get to see any of it but I was keeping track of the score.

This season is already over in my eyes and we need to get the number one draft pick.

1) Do you pick Andrew Luck after picking Clausen?
2) Who is your new head football coach? Cowher?

I think John Fox could make history and be the first coach to inherit a 1-15 team and also be fired from a 1-15 team.

bigbuc
12-06-2010, 02:19 PM
I say you guys need Nick Fairley or Da'Quan Bowers also a new Head Coach.

A Bowers/Hardy DE combo would be nasty for years to come.

12-06-2010, 05:56 PM
I don't see how they can draft anyone other than Luck.

Hands down the worst offense in the league and I still see people out there saying things like "DT is the biggest need"? What?

It's early and all but Clausen is looking a lot like an even worse version of Brady Quinn. Maybe Charlie Weis' pro-style offense wasn't so pro-style after all. And it's not like he's some big first round investment who's making a ton of money. Even if Clausen does pan out, awesome. Then you can trade him or Luck for a pick, like Matt Schaub or something.

SchizophrenicBatman
12-06-2010, 06:16 PM
I don't even think Luck is a debate at this point

The question to ask is if he stays in school do you take Cam Newton #1 overall?

ShutDwn
12-13-2010, 06:13 PM
I don't even think Luck is a debate at this point

The question to ask is if he stays in school do you take Cam Newton #1 overall?

That is a scary decision, Newton has high bust potential especially with such little playing experience.

I still think the NFL is a pocket passing league so I'd take Luck, but that is with my little knowledge of both players skill repertoire and potential.

Morton
12-21-2010, 02:06 PM
What's wrong with Jimmy Clausen as the future franchise QB?

He's been steadily improving lately, hasn't he?

SchizophrenicBatman
12-21-2010, 02:15 PM
This is a snippet of an email I sent to a guy about Clausen. It basically sums up the problems with him. I ripped the "U" thing from a guy on another board because it's a good way to visualize the problems with his play style

Without rehashing your arguments too much, I will say that the best way I have heard someone describe Clausen's play is if you imagine a giant U shape reach from the quarterback towards the sidelines and extend all the way to the end zone. Clausen only attempts passes within this U shape because they are safe and he is terrified of throwing interceptions. Amazingly this is not an exaggeration - he will never throw a pass this is not either within 5 yards of him, or on his first read down the sidelines. The only pass he attempts down field is a fade route where he can put a lot of air on the ball. Everything else is vertical and short. He won't throw out routes, or other such passes that are make or break throws for NFL quarterbacks. The only time he ventures outside of this U shape and throws over the middle of the field is when his first read is "covered" (being covered can include being open on a route he won't throw or being Steve Smith) and he immediately check downs to an RB. Other issues you highlighted such as his long developing side arm delivery and height have been heavily apparent with a large percentage of his passes being knocked down at the line.

On the subject of his size, I think you suspected this when you said he doesn't "look" 6'3 despite seeming to be around that height (ultimately I believe he measured out at 6'2 and change) but a big problem of his is how small he plays. I would say he is like the opposite of a Ben Roethlisberger or Josh Freeman in that he panics under any pressure and if a guy so much breathes on him, he goes down. I'm not going to defend the poor play of the Carolina OLine this year (Jordan Gross is particular is looking to be washed up) but he doesn't do them any favors with his complete lack of pocket presence. He seems incapable of stepping up in the pocket, instead preferring to roll to his right and drift backwards towards the sideline before throwing the ball away - even in circumstances that don't necessitate bailing out of the pocket.

He's thrown 2 touchdown passes all season and on both plays the guy was completely wide open (I'm talking no one within 20 yards of the receiver) and he didn't even hit either of them in stride

12-23-2010, 10:10 AM
He's been steadily improving lately, hasn't he?

Sadly enough, he really hasn't improved at all. The only thing I can think of is that he doesn't fumble the snaps as often as he was at the beginning of the season.

People see the Arizona game and think he's playing better, but stats lie.

scpanther22
12-23-2010, 10:26 AM
This is a snippet of an email I sent to a guy about Clausen. It basically sums up the problems with him. I ripped the "U" thing from a guy on another board because it's a good way to visualize the problems with his play style

He's thrown 2 touchdown passes all season and on both plays the guy was completely wide open (I'm talking no one within 20 yards of the receiver) and he didn't even hit either of them in stride

or maybe he only attempts those passes because thats the game plan?

I get what your saying and I agree to a point but I think people forget that Fox loves to play it safe even with a vet QB so with a rookie he would be even more conservative in his game plan..and it cant be overstated how bad our Oline is this year.

CJSchneider
12-23-2010, 01:55 PM
You guys have to do me a favor. If we beat Atlanta this week, you have to beat them the week after.

detroit4life
12-23-2010, 09:54 PM
im a UofM and i'm curious if you guys are thinking that Jim Harbough is a serious candidate for your HC... i think Michigan will go hard at him as well so I'm curious if they'll have to bid versus an NFL team

SchizophrenicBatman
12-24-2010, 12:42 AM
or maybe he only attempts those passes because thats the game plan?

I get what your saying and I agree to a point but I think people forget that Fox loves to play it safe even with a vet QB so with a rookie he would be even more conservative in his game plan..and it cant be overstated how bad our Oline is this year.

highly unlikely since our entire offense is based on high risk plays down field off of play action. I seem to recall the early excuse for Clausen being that he had to play in an offense not really suited for his skills or those of a rookie with a bad OLine because he had to read and wait for deep routes to develop unlike Sam Bradford who threw a lot of short passes

Now that they've adjusted the playcalling some upon realizing what a turd he is yes he is executing the game plan to some extent by passing short (although he still sucks at it) but that's like saying a coaching staff is limiting the ability of an RB who always busts runs outside and dances a lot by not running him on short yardage and at the goal line

SchizophrenicBatman
12-24-2010, 12:48 AM
as for Harbaugh I think he will be a candidate here but ultimately doubt that he is hired. The whole deal with Luck as his QB complicates the factor more than helps it in my opinion. I do think he's going to get a chance in the NFL, if not this year, then in the near future if he wants it and I really don't see him going to Michigan. It just doesn't make sense to me. It would take him longer than expected to turn that program around IMO because RichRod personnel is like the antithesis of Harbaugh personnel. For a guy with NFL aspirations it just seems like a backwards move to me when he could just stay at Stanford for another year or two or even get an assistant job in the league if no one wants him at HC

If he goes to Michigan I think it would have to be his dream job and, in his mind, a destination. From everything I've heard in the past I just dont think that's case even with it being his alma mater

dannyz
12-24-2010, 01:23 AM
So are we all in agreement? Luck the 1ST Overall Pick?

davlar87
12-24-2010, 07:30 AM
So are we all in agreement? Luck the 1ST Overall Pick?

No doubt, but we may not have it. It depends if Atlanta beats New Orleans or not. If they do, we'll face their second string in Week 17. Even so, I'm not confident we could even beat their second string with how poor our offense has been.

SchizophrenicBatman
12-24-2010, 04:47 PM
Chris Redman is a better QB than anyone on our roster

ShutDwn
12-27-2010, 07:17 PM
Now that we have the top pick we have to hope that Luck comes out.

Who do you think we will hire as coach?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/551653-carolina-panthers-top-10-candidates-to-replace-john-fox

No. 10: Mike Heimerdinger - OC Titans
No. 9: Chip Kelly - HC Oregon
No. 8: Jon Gruden - Former HC Tampa Bay
No. 7: Ron Meeks - Current DC
No. 6: Sean McDermott - DC Eagles
No. 5: Russ Grimm - Assist. HC Cardinals
No. 4: Jim Harbaugh - HC Stanford
No. 3: Bill Cowher - Former HC Steelers
No. 2: Ron Rivera - DC Chargers
No. 1 Brian Schottenheimer - OC Jets

I wouldn't be too happy with Brian Schottenheimer because of the current ineptitude of his offense. He has so much offensive talent and his young QB isn't doing so hot lately, I'll pass.

The only coach that would I would like to see would probably be Harbaugh.

CJSchneider
12-27-2010, 11:00 PM
You guys have to do me a favor. If we beat Atlanta this week, you have to beat them the week after.

OK, you guys know what to do, right?

ShutDwn
12-28-2010, 11:50 AM
OK, you guys know what to do, right?

Don't worry, I'm confident our defense will pitch a shutout and we will win on a last second Kasay FG and then Fox rides off into the sunset.

SchizophrenicBatman
12-28-2010, 11:46 PM
we can always run the direct snap offense again

12-29-2010, 04:07 PM
WHY is Brian Schottenheimer still talked of as a head coach candidate? Not just for us, but anywhere. HE'S NOT EVEN A GOOD COORDINATOR.

SchizophrenicBatman
12-29-2010, 10:55 PM
his last name

it's not like he's any worse than russ grimm

dannyz
01-03-2011, 12:57 AM
http://www.catscratchreader.com/2011/1/3/1910376/a-sign-that-things-are-different#comments Could something Big Happen?

SchizophrenicBatman
01-15-2011, 01:45 AM
in general he is very conservative. "a punt is not a bad play" is an actual quote of his. he was also a big user of "it is what it is" well before it became the go to cliche of every football player/coach today

on offense he likes to pound the ball and throw mainly off play action. he always looks for WRs that are good blockers. don't expect much from the TE position - they are inline blockers first and foremost but he doesn't really get maulers to do that. mainly just mediocre players that can block and sit in a zone and catch a pass for a first down but pick up no YAC. i wouldn't call it a "ball control" offense like so many mediocre pass offenses are, though. he goes for big plays on the play actions. kind of a lull you to sleep then hit you with the big bomb strategy. any OC you get will be handcuffed and tied to Fox's preferences, which isn't necessarily a bad thing since he has a tendency to associate himself with awful OCs (and if your OC is going to be mccoy i wouldnt expect much different)

don't look for many trick plays on offense or on ST. the rare times he'll pull one out typically end in disaster anyway

defense is his specialty and he's a pretty strong 4-3 guy. when we got ron meeks a couple years ago we switched to cover2 but before that he was more of a base 4-3 guy, the type of which are getting more and more rare in today's NFL. he's not much of a blitzer, as he prefers having a talented DLine that can bring pressure with 4. he has an eye for finding and developing talented linebackers. early in his career he would fill the safety position with literally any random guy off the street but the last couple years we started some young players drafted in the mid rounds. most years I would expect him to deliver a top 10 ranked defense but I don't think he can get you to Steelers/Ravens territory unless you stockpile a ton of talent

all in all, he's a solid coach but not a great one. i suppose after firing a clown like mcdaniels i can understand why the broncos would be attracted to fox. he's pretty much the exact opposite personality. his players love him, he avoids the media like it's the plague and his focus is on tough, hard nosed defense

the one thing to watch out for is how he falls in love with players and continually plays them over more talented guys behind them on the depth chart. he's an "old school" guy in every sense of the term. it some ways that can be a good thing, but in others it just makes him a relic. i wish him well with the broncos. it was time for us to go in different directions - i think he was growing complacent here - but i do think he can succeed the first few years with a new team and a new challenge. i would not be surprised if he turns around the broncos quickly. what i'd be worried about is year 3 or 4 after he's gone on a run and made the playoffs. does he get bored again? is he going to stick with orton over tebow? etc

ShutDwn
01-18-2011, 03:06 PM
We hired Sean McDermott from Philly after he was let go... I hope he finds more success after leaving Johnson's huge shadow. I'm skeptical, but Rivera has a good track record and I'll expect him to make our defense our strong point.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/01/17/1988343/panthers-hire-ex-eagles-assistant.html

We also hired Chudzinkski as our offensive coordinator. He was in San Diego as a tight ends coach. Rivera is probably pretty comfortable with the guy because of their time together. He has developed some tight ends but I'm not holding my breath that our offense looks anything like what they say. Then again I'm still thinking about the Panthers as if Fox is the HC where nothing changes.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/01/17/1988471/panthers-to-hand-offense-to-chudzinski.html

D-Unit
01-18-2011, 08:00 PM
So is Fairley a lock?

ShutDwn
01-19-2011, 11:50 PM
So is Fairley a lock?

As long as he is in shape at the combine I don't care about anyone else. He has the ability to be so disruptive up the middle and his play elevates others better as well. Also Rivera is a defensive coach.

jdb1972
01-20-2011, 05:10 PM
So is Fairley a lock?
No, but I'd say picking somewhere on the DL is.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-21-2011, 05:17 PM
yea i would guess its down to fairley and bowers

long shots are aj green or their top rated qb

Umoro
01-28-2011, 06:22 PM
It's going to be Colin Coepernick with the #1 pick. Watch.

Mr. Goosemahn
02-12-2011, 10:25 PM
Hey guys, what can you tell me about Chris Gamble? How good is he? Is he a fast guy, is he very technically sound or does he rely too much on his athleticism, does he Gamble much (hahaha, I know)? Is he better in man or zone? Much appreciated.

Don Vito
02-20-2011, 12:11 PM
I want you guys to take Fairley so badly. He is going to be a stud, but he will also have that Suh effect and make your whole DL instantaneously better. Greg Hardy would ball out so hard with Fairley inside, if you take Bowers I am going to cry.

touchdownmaker
03-28-2011, 02:08 PM
Hi all.

I'm a Giants fan, and had a Panthers specific question. I was trying to figure out how my Giants could improve their situation at the SAM position. I thought that Greenway would be the perfect solution, but he re-signed with the Vikings. James Anderson was the second most productive SAM last year. I wanted to know what you guys thought of him. He had a breakout year last year, but it seems a little suspect. Is he for real, and could a team like the Giants lure him away?

Smash28Dash34
04-15-2011, 11:39 PM
@touchdownmaker, yea he had more tackles last season (98), compared to his previous 4 (65). I think he would be an improvement over sintim/boley, but at the same time he could just be a product of our system. From the giant's perspective I would go after him as long as they don't overpay for him and expect too much out of him.

SchizophrenicBatman
04-25-2011, 01:44 AM
i think i'll throw in a team mock here

using scott's rankings (ie if we're picking 20th and he has X player ranked 17th i cant pick him but i can take Y player ranked 23rd). going to try my best not to look ahead with the picks (drafting with knowledge i wouldnt have on draft day)

1. DT Marcel Dareus - just dont have the balls to go all in on Newton. If I thought he had the all-world potential some of his fans do I'd be down for Russian Roulette but honestly I think his upside is Vince Young with a brain and his downside is what people thought Tebow would be. Taking Dareus because none of the other guys in the top 5 mix do it for me. PP7 isnt a shutdown corner imo. His upside is Charles Woodson but if he's a screw up he's basically DeAngelo Hall. No thanks on that at 1 especially if he doesnt want to return kicks. BTW, if I had an equal talent pass-rushing DT (ie Fairley/Suh model) going up against a Dareus type I'm taking the pass rusher every day and twice on Sundays. Pocket disruption >>>>>>> plugging the run. But apparently Fairley is such a huge screw up that he's worked his way out of the picture and in reality I always knew Dareus was the same talent level, just like I know Julio is around AJ's level despite what every analyst is being fed

65. WTF did Scott really only rank the top 32 this year? He is getting crazy lazy. Ok well I'll use the mock and just wing it in rounds 4+. The pick is QB Ricky Stanzi. A reach here but I can't risk him falling to end of the round when he's the only guy I believe in. Questions worth asking - the guy reminds me of Delhomme, do we really want that again? I dunno, but this is MY team now and we're taking MY guy. Why another QB if you're not taking one at #1? Clausen isn't on the team next year. If he cant be traded he's cut. Pike is likely on the outside looking is as well. Planned depth chart is Moore, some random FA vet, Stanzi, Pike. If Pike blows it up in TC then Moore or the vet will be cut. Otherwise he's back on PS or out of the organization. Best man starts
97. DT Jerrell Powe - Whatever, we need basically an entire new depth chart of DTs. Landri is the only guy worth a **** on the roster and he isn't worth much. If I had a magic ball I couldve taken Stanzi here and picked Drake Nevis at 65 but I don't, sucks for us.
98. TE/whatever DJ Williams - This goes against everything I stand for because I feel like these TE/FB hybrid guys NEVER work out but I've seen this guy a good amount and he's a baller. Put him on the field and let him catch the ball. Cut Rosario and dont re-sign King to fit him on the roster with Shockey
132. DT Sione Fua - I wasn't joking about how dire our DT spot is. Plus, I actually like this guy. I was just meh on Powe. Don't know if he'll actually be available here, dont care enough to make sure
166. OL Jah Reid - Just shooting blind at this point. This guy is big and fat. Maybe him or Otah can force that POS Gross out soon. Or he'll sub in for Otah when he decides to take a year off again
203. WR Andre Holmes - Whatever, he's 6'4 and runs a 4.53 and I feel like we never take non-D1 guys so it'd be nice to mix it up for once.
293. RB Johnny White - This guy is probably getting cut anyway so who cares. If DeAngelo bolts maybe he sneaks onto the roster. As a State fan White showed me more than any of the other 10 RBs B!tch Davis had ahead him on the depth chart so maybe he's the next Willie Parker. Probably not

man that really doesnt do much to make our team not suck next year

maybe we'd be better off just taking the plunge with cam then pop nevis at 65

villagewarrior
05-04-2011, 02:47 AM
I have mixed feelings regarding the Panthers draft. I like Newton as a prospect, but I don't think he's number 1 overall caliber. Dareus would have been my selection. I really like the McClain-Fua picks to bookend the 3rd round, and finishing out with the offensive linemen is always a good move. Don't know much about the Hawaii receiver, neither do I like the Hogan pick, kid has talent but is trouble off the field. Wilson is good value late and good depth. I'd give it a slightly above average draft, which is probably not a good rating holding the 1st overall pick.

dj825
05-05-2011, 06:38 PM
If Hogan matures more and Newton doesnt flame out and the receiver from Hawaii turns out to be as good as i think he could be, than a slightly above average draft could turn into one of the top drafts this year. They went more for potential this year rather than the safe best available philosophy that John Fox used every year. He would take a need round 1 to start (and sometimes round 2) then best available at a spot that needed depth from there on out. Thats why we have 4 LBs who could possibly start for other teams and almost nothing on the D Line.

JPF
07-11-2011, 10:15 AM
A very boom or bust draft for us. If the draft busts, Hurney will be gone (which I don't think is necessarily a bad thing).

fenikz
07-30-2011, 12:58 PM
figured I'd drop by to see your thoughts on Richard Marshall & Jeff king

dj825
07-30-2011, 03:06 PM
figured I'd drop by to see your thoughts on Richard Marshall & Jeff king

Jeff King is offers pretty much nothing as a pass catcher but hes a solid enough blocker, decent pick up there.

Richard Marshall has an ego that makes you think hes as good as Darrel Revis which hes not even half that good. He is very good and has alot of upside and in your defense he would prolly be a starter so you more than likely wont see that ego come out but just sayin. Hes a great tackler but he does have lapses in coverage sometimes. Overall great pickup, may not be as good as DRC but he has the upside to be better.

JPF
07-30-2011, 04:25 PM
King can catch the ball, he just isn't going to get you many yards...and damn sure don't expect any yard at all after the catch.

Marshall is good but has an ego as already mentioned. His biggest problem is he's over-aggressive at times. If your coaching staff can teach him when to be aggressive and when to stick to coverage, he could be a steal.

SchizophrenicBatman
07-31-2011, 03:43 PM
king sucks. he's an average blocker and a non-threat in the passing game. all his catches are like 6 yard gains (no YAC - ever) on 3rd and 10. he'd be good value as a 3rd string TE. maybe about league average as a 2nd stringer. if he's your starter you're f'd

marshall was a very good player as a rookie. the problem is he never got any better and if anything regressed. he was awful last year but thats probably because he just quit since our owner decided to tank the season. there's potential there but it's going to take a hell of a coaching staff to get it out of him.

ShutDwn
08-01-2011, 06:59 PM
We signed Derrick Anderson, I don't think any details are out yet. I don't think he is anything more than a body we throw out there if Cam isn't ready.

I've been following a few twitter feeds of people at camp. Sounds like Cam is at least completing some passes although he is said to be checking down a bit much. He has been picked a few times and also busted a few runs.

The long road begins for Newton as a passer

SchizophrenicBatman
08-01-2011, 08:11 PM
im pretty sure armanti is the 2nd best qb on the roster

if anyone but cam plays this year im not watching

ShutDwn
08-07-2011, 12:22 AM
Newton threw deep passes with ease, often hitting receivers perfectly in stride or threading the needle right into their arms. Then he’d scramble for a first down, or throw a perfect fade into the end zone for a touchdown. It all seems so effortless to him.

http://sportsclt.com/2011/08/06/newton-impressive-on-and-off-the-field/

I'm trying to stay realistic, I keep telling myself it's only fan fest. And I know we are missing like half the defense... But this article made me more excited for the Panthers than I have been since 2008.

This time of the year is always interesting to hear about the training camp stars but we've never had a stud like this and I can't wait to see him next Saturday.

Here is a another article written (strangely) about it.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/08/06/2509965/suddenly-its-cam-fest.html

Our offense has great pieces to be so dynamic. I love the Olsen pickup so much and if Gettis can progress we will have a nice deep threat.

Armanti Edwards is this years wide receiver sensation. All the previous have failed, I hear he could catch punts with his eyes closed so I bet he makes the team at least as a returner.

I want a 2nd corner still

dj825
08-07-2011, 11:32 PM
Im really excited too, this made me wonder how good Cam can actually be this early, i mean i figured hed be good eventually but this makes me think he might be good as a rookie because he seems to be progressing so fast.

Gettis hopefully will get better and if he doesnt ive always like Naane (spelling?) and think he could step in, hes also still young and could end up being great.

Im super excited dude, cant wait to see Carolina running a west coast offense and not just running.

ShutDwn
08-13-2011, 03:24 PM
It's gameday boys!

JC gets the start over Cam but I think we may get to see a lot of Cam too though because Pike hasn't practiced at all and Anderson isn't up to speed either.

Gettis got hurt, that really sucks because I was hopping for a receiver to develop on the team but I guess Legadu will have to suffice. Smith is out for the game with an injured finger so looks like Cam and JC get to throw to the scrubs. Armanti better show up big in receiving and return game, I'm tired of hearing so much and seeing so little.

Ron Edwards is probably the worst injury to occur, luckily we have the two rookies McClain and Fua playing well at DT because I can't stand Nick Hayden.

Honestly, I don't think this game will tell us much other than the fact we need our starters back.

dj825
08-13-2011, 03:47 PM
well Corvey Irvin apparently has started playing well and is starting so id like to see what he does. im pretty excited to see Shockey and Olsen out there too.

As for Armanti...agreed he better show something, last year was horrible since he didnt even really get on the field and this year all of a sudden he is the #3 receiver it seems...

The only thing this game can possibly teach us is if Cam plays alot and does well with our backups, but even then idk how much it could really teach us so you are prolly right on the money there with that.

ShutDwn
08-13-2011, 10:35 PM
So, that pick six erased any confidence anyone should have been giving to Clausen. I know Cam will have some plays that are terrible, but the guy has so much big play ability it is ridiculous. If the coaching staff can put him in a position to be a threat running and throwing he will have a much better time passing. We have three backs, Olsen and pretty good back up TEs and Steve Smith. Give us one more capable receiver and I think we are giving him plenty to be good with, even in his first year.

Armanti did well returning it seems, I need replays though

ShutDwn
08-17-2011, 01:47 PM
So I saw the game from the second quarter, here are my thoughts:

Cam looked tall in the pocket and knows how to throw the ball vertically but he gets in trouble with his throws off his back foot. It was really interesting that he didn't take off and run at all, I like his mentallity to be a passer.

The tight ends were ballin' tonight. Olsen's TD was a great play by him on a poorly thrown ball.

Armanti's returns were really nice and he almost brought in a TD if Cam had thrown with more touch and led him more.

Defensively I thought we were good. More gang tackling than I can remember. Senn, McClain and Stanford did well I thought. This defense is much more aggressive than ever.

I really liked Pilares' touchdown, he looks interesting for a rookie. He is stout and fast.

The sacks on Cam were way to easy, he had no chance with three Giants in the backfield instantly. That can't happen.

I have heard Cam is starting the next game on Friday, I can't wait to see more. Beason, Otah, Schwartz and Hardy are all out. Hardy is supposed to come back soon, I can't wait to see him rushing on the edge again.

ShutDwn
08-19-2011, 07:52 PM
The offensive and defensive lines will dictate the teams performance this season. We are getting worked on both lines against the Dolphins and we've basically gone three and out every possession and then the Dolphins go on a time consuming drive full of wide open receivers and running lanes.

Cam is throwing off his back foot and really doesn't have much time. At least the playcalling is testing him out and not how a real game would be called.

Chad Henne gashes us for a big run, our back up defensive end couldn't keep up. Wow.

JPF
08-20-2011, 01:09 PM
Our lines look bad. Gross looked bad against the Giants (I believe he gave up both sacks JPP had, I know he gave up one of them and looked horrible doing so) and the right side of the line looks horrible. I realize Otah is out but they knew his injury history and decided to not bring in a reliable back-up so that's on them. Bernadeau looks horrible at RG (like he has every time they've put him out there at RG) and I will never understand what they see in Garry Williams because I sure don't see anything there.

Our D-line, wow. Where to even begin. The ends aren't getting any type of pressure and aren't holding up for crap against the run. The tackles constantly got manhandled by a rookie center (who struggled at center in college last year) 1 on 1.

Our corners looked like crap. Stanford and McClain probably shouldn't even be on NFL rosters. Munnerlyn, man, he looked better in run support than he did in coverage and that's a statement if you're saying about one of your starting corners you have issues.

ShutDwn
08-21-2011, 12:20 PM
How I see our biggest weaknesses (and areas of need in the draft):

Wide Receiver

Its disappointing that Gettis went down. I really hate that Naanee is our #2 receiver now. Our QBs need guys who get separation, not another Jarrett. Would have preferred seeing Cotchery in the mix, but we missed that opportunity.

Cornerback

We are starting Captain Munnerlyn. We all saw what happens when a star like Marshall gets to go against the Captain. Martin and Godfrey will probably look terrible this year because of such erratic cornerback play. I would have liked Carlos Rogers to start opposite Gamble.

Defensive End

Brown is a bust and Norwood is situational. At least we have a potentially good player we can fill this weakness with right now in Hardy. He has to be an impact player for Johnson to make an impact. Otherwise we are going to be paying Johnson to get double teamed.

SchizophrenicBatman
08-21-2011, 10:51 PM
DT is still a huge need. Fua (who I was a fan of before the draft) got pushed around like a ragdoll yesterday and Corvey Irvin would be working at McDonalds if we actually had legitimate NFL players at the position

CB is a huge issue. OL can develop into a problem. Gross is only getting worse and Otah is a lazy ****

QB is very weak as well. We're obviously locked into Cam but that doesn't prevent it from being a weakness

I have to think we'll finish with another top 10 pick and take the best defensive lineman on the board. Either OT or WR in the 2nd round

ShutDwn
08-21-2011, 11:48 PM
DT is still a huge need. Fua (who I was a fan of before the draft) got pushed around like a ragdoll yesterday and Corvey Irvin would be working at McDonalds if we actually had legitimate NFL players at the position

CB is a huge issue. OL can develop into a problem. Gross is only getting worse and Otah is a lazy ****

QB is very weak as well. We're obviously locked into Cam but that doesn't prevent it from being a weakness

I have to think we'll finish with another top 10 pick and take the best defensive lineman on the board. Either OT or WR in the 2nd round

I'm talking weaknesses we will draft next year.

JPF
08-22-2011, 11:14 AM
My thoughts on what we need and how to fill it...

WR- need a future #1, none of the guys we currently have project to better than #2's (if that). Likely a 1st round pick but man we have other needs so this may have to wait a year. We also need a proven #2, I had hopes for Gettis turning into that this year but with the injury it's a lost year for him and we may need to bring one in through free agency.

OT- It doesn't appear that Otah will ever be healthy again, Gross looks like he's starting to decline (could probably do well at RT but I question if he's a legitimate LT at this point). Depth also needs to be upgraded here, Garry Williams probably doesn't even belong on an NFL roster and Lee Ziemba looks like a long term project. At the least a mid round pick should be spent on depth and maybe making a run at Bryant McKinnie (if he gets his fat butt down to under 360) in free agency this year.

OG- Wharton is fine at LG but no one has stepped up to take the starting job at RG. Apparently Schwartz was looking good in camp before hurting his hip but after seeing our DT's in the pre-season games I have to question how much was him and how much was our DT's being crap. Too many needs to draft one, maybe the team can find one that a team is willing to part with in trade for another player.

DE- Charles Johnson is solid, but outside of him we have no one that has proven they are a capable starter. It'd be hard to pass on Quinton Coples if he was there when we pick in the first but I don't know that I feel DE is our biggest need, but the free agent DE class next year isn't very good at all.

DT- Umm, apparently Rivera and Hurney's plan at DT revolved around Ron Edwards. Another rookie isn't the answer at an already young position, probably a vet signing is what is needed here.

CB- Munnerlyn has shown he can't get it done and with teams like the Packers out there with tons of talent at receiver, an upgrade is badly needed. Corners in free agency are expensive so I'd expect this to be a draftable need.

ShutDwn
08-25-2011, 12:12 PM
Game tonight, get ready for Cam to play 3 quarters. Hopefully we see some receivers getting in on the action. The dolphins were to strong for our young offense and we put all the burden on Newton and the passing game.

Hopefully we see improvement on both sides of the line.

ShutDwn
08-27-2011, 10:54 AM
Cam needs more time. Both to develop accuracy and to throw. Our receivers need to get more separation too.

Defensive line and corners are terrible. Our linebackers can be amazing but it doesn't matter at all with the way these teams run. I never want to see Brown defend the run again.

Gamble came back and got burned by a rookie. Charles Johnson has yet to show me why we paid him like a probowler.

abie006
09-01-2011, 08:40 AM
I also don't like Brown's performance..

cvv84
09-04-2011, 11:30 AM
I also don't like Brown's performance..

Neither did the Panthers. Released today.

abie006
09-04-2011, 11:52 AM
Neither did the Panthers. Released today.

well, good for the panthers.. :)

ShutDwn
09-11-2011, 06:37 PM
Cam Newton... WOW!

I haven't seen a performance by a Panther QB like that in a long time. I hate that we lost, but I am still so pumped. Our defense showed up but lost it on two plays, I was really surprised by Johnson and Hardy. The run game needs to show up more, I would have put Stewart in more, he is a better runner vs the Cardinals.

Overall I like the debut of the new coaches too.

dj825
09-12-2011, 12:43 AM
This is probably the best our passing game has ever looked. Now if we can get the running game working the way it did a few years ago we are set on offense.

ShutDwn
09-13-2011, 03:10 PM
It really sucks that Beason is done for the year, that Achilies just wasn't ready. Connor has big shoes to fill. It's too bad because Beason is so great at directing the defense.

http://www.beason52.com/2011/09/13/14887-the-response

He has a write up about it, I'm pretty impressed by the thought he put into it all. I don't agree he should have played though.

Who steps up on defense now? Connor is in the middle to replace but I don't see him as the leader Beason is emotionally or play calling wise. I am looking at Thomas Davis to be the leader now as well as Charles Godfrey who is actually a captain now.

The Packers are coming to Charlotte soon, I won't be able to watch the game but I'm going to be checking my phone non stop for updates. Our offensive line is going to get slaughtered in my opinion and our receivers are going against some really tough corners so Cam really has it cut out for him.

JPF
09-15-2011, 03:06 PM
Let me preface this by saying I'm not a Cam hater, just someone trying to not get his hopes up since things seem to always somehow fall apart for this team but...

How much of Cam's success this past week was because of facing two very young starting corners (a rookie & a second year player) and because of the Cards having sold out early to stop the run game?

Like I said, not hating on Cam, just trying not to let one game get my hopes up too high given our past history.

SolidGold
09-15-2011, 07:31 PM
Has Steve Smith been criticized at all for not playing 100% last year? This year he actually is trying. I know the Panthers were not good last year and seemed set up to fail but the dude still got paid and seemed to have a downtrodden whiny attitude last year. Whatever happened to doing your job 100% no matter the circumstances?

JPF
09-16-2011, 01:22 PM
Combine the way defenses played the team last year (double/triple teaming Smitty while focusing everyone else on stopping the run with no other receiver they even had to worry about) with the fact none of the QBs would even take a legit shot down the field (Smitty's strength) and you end up with a pissy star WR.

dj825
09-16-2011, 04:47 PM
yeah idk that it was him not trying so much and more as JPF said getting double and triple teamed. Yeah he prolly didnt try 100% of the time but even if he did idk how affective he can be with the kind of coverage they would play on him and the QBs we had. Arizona doubled him several times but Cam was still able to hit him Cam also spread the ball around so they couldnt just key in on Smitty and were forced to not double him all game, and the result were his two TDs and several big catches. Last year we didnt have a QB who could spread the ball around. That was the main problem and thats why Smitty didnt wanna even really try all the time. Still not much of an excuse but either way...

ShutDwn
09-19-2011, 01:59 PM
My takeaways from the game:

I don't care about Andrew Luck at all anymore. Cam made mistakes, but he still carried us and we were in the game. That 62 yarder to Smith was insane.

Our defense actually held up well for the most part. Pugh is the biggest weakpoint. I was really impressed with Gamble and Captain.

Our offensive line can pass block but can't run block. The Packers are really good against the run but wow, DeAngelo hasn't done a thing. Stewart is a beast in the passing game.

Byron Bell, undrafted rookie, was plugged in at RT and performed well actually.

I want more Olsen and less Naane. Seriously, Armanti Edwards has to offer more than that.

Steve, hold the ball like you've played the game before.

oh, and Thomas Davis has retorn his ACL. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Our defense has lost it's top two leaders now. We've been really unlucky with these injuries so far.

dj825
09-20-2011, 02:43 AM
yeah it sucks about Davis...as much as i hate to say it im pretty sure he needs to just cal it a career before he completely screw over his knee more than it already has to be...at the beginning of the season i think LB was our strongest point on defense, at this rate it might become more of a liability if we keep losing players like this.

i agree about Naane, Olsen is the one that needs to be getting those catches/minutes.

ShutDwn
09-20-2011, 09:57 AM
yeah it sucks about Davis...as much as i hate to say it im pretty sure he needs to just cal it a career before he completely screw over his knee more than it already has to be...at the beginning of the season i think LB was our strongest point on defense, at this rate it might become more of a liability if we keep losing players like this.

i agree about Naane, Olsen is the one that needs to be getting those catches/minutes.

Olsen has pretty good numbers compared to our previous tightends but they could be better. The offensive line needs a little help in order for our receivers to get downfield so we are keeping tightends in to block more.

ShutDwn
09-20-2011, 02:04 PM
Little stat I found in the NFL.com power rankings talking about Dom Capers defense getting owned against Cam:

rookie passers didn't even average a 50 passer rating against Capers' defenses over his career

But, I'm sure there is some excuse as to why this happened and only other fans can enlighten us on. It's barely even mentioned that our RT last week was an undrafted rookie.

3jTx7KjrT28

These quotes from analysts are a big part of why Cam has been so shocking. Besides, you know, making history two weeks in a row.

ShutDwn
09-24-2011, 02:28 PM
Adam Shefter with a good radio clip about Cam, talks about visiting Charlotte in June and talking with players.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=7008548

I'm really worried about our secondary with Godfrey out. The guy has had ups and downs but I like how he has developed and the flexibility he brings when he moves to the slot I think that we matched up well with the Packers better than I thought we would because our secondary is exactly what it needs to be skillset-wise to hang with the passing attacks flooding the NFL. Strong safeties aren't as effective anymore, two free safeties is the way to go now. Thank god we are playing a rookie QB with no receivers.

Our linebackers are depleted too and we are going to get a long look at our backups.

So far this years draft class has looked like the best in a long time. Both our rookie DTs are playing well and I have high hopes for Pilares to turn into a dynamic slot player. Hogan needs to get healthy so we can even know what he looks like on the field.

dj825
09-25-2011, 12:40 PM
so this is the 3rd time in as many games that ive noticed Smitty seemingly not even trying to get his feet in bounds on a catch that it seems fairly easy to do so...wtf is up with that?

dj825
09-25-2011, 01:40 PM
and what was that replay call? im sure his elbow was down but it was pretty impossible to see and since you cant see it it didnt happen basically, that was just simply the ref going off of what he thought happened not what he saw.

ShutDwn
09-25-2011, 05:53 PM
Cam was off all day, I know Jacksonville got close to some INTs but he looked shaky today. I gotta give him credit for sticking tough and leading that last drive. I don't understand why the hell we went for two. If we hadn't gotten it and Jax scored, a FG would only tie, if we kick the extra point we can win with a FG... The same exact scenario that happened when we converted the two points. C'mon coaches, do the math.

Gameball belongs to Stewart for sure, he has been great.

2 penalties made this game far closer than it should have been.

1- our offsides when they were punting led to three points
2- Charles Johnson jumps offsides on a fumbled snap and two plays later they've got seven. I think we actually had recovered the ball? Too lazy to look though.

Our D plays strong but then it breaks too fast. Poor tackling is a huge problem. Gotta give Munnerlyn some credit, he made some good plays on the ball and was on the punt returners instantly. Johnson and Hardy are beasts, I love those two on the ends. I think our defensive line is shaping up for the future nicely.

I want to see a different receiver in there other than Naane. He is such balls. I miss David Gettis every time I look at Naane.

dj825
09-25-2011, 07:24 PM
yeah Munnerlyn has recovered very nicely from his poor ish play in week 1. I was really hoping the running game would come back a it today but it didnt, Stewart was amazing but he only got 10 touches, which i found kinda weird.

yes we did recover that fumble that was overturned because of the offsides, i was pretty annoyed but he made a mistake and he as you pointed out has been wrecking havoc on QBs all year along side Hardy. the DTs are still getting burned by the run but theyre doing good pushing the pocket and are getting better against the run, im pretty pleased at their development.

ShutDwn
09-26-2011, 12:20 PM
yeah Munnerlyn has recovered very nicely from his poor ish play in week 1. I was really hoping the running game would come back a it today but it didnt, Stewart was amazing but he only got 10 touches, which i found kinda weird.

yes we did recover that fumble that was overturned because of the offsides, i was pretty annoyed but he made a mistake and he as you pointed out has been wrecking havoc on QBs all year along side Hardy. the DTs are still getting burned by the run but theyre doing good pushing the pocket and are getting better against the run, im pretty pleased at their development.

Fua and McCain could use more experience versus the run, I think depth would also help. I don't think they'll ever be fantastic run stuffers but they are all around good players and when another team is busting big runs everyone on defense is responsible.

When it started pouring I got pretty worried that we would make some really bad mistakes due to the conditions. We let up that last touchdown at the half but I don't attribute that to the conditions.

Cam will learn how to throw the ball away eventually, especially after that one stupid play he made to Shockey for negative yardage. I love that he avoided a sack, but throw it AWAY

dj825
09-26-2011, 03:52 PM
yeah...idk what was with him throwing it so high yesterday since he has usually been money on those passes but inconsistency is bound to happen like that since he is a rookie. i was mostly upset by it cuz i started him in my fantasy football league expecting him to really beat down the Jags secondary.

I like how Cam was able to get it together a bit late in the game and lead us on that drive for the TD, was very impressed.

ShutDwn
09-26-2011, 08:39 PM
I bet I'm not the only one who didn't think that they really had conclusive evidence that Stewart was down. Should have let it go for the sake of how awesome that was. (see signature)

We brought in Avery for a workout, wonder who they're trying to replace? Hopefully Naane.

dj825
09-27-2011, 03:25 PM
yeah i really dont think they had conclusive evidence, im sure he was but srsly you have to have conclusive evidence. im pretty sure that was just the ref basing that off of his opinion which theyre not supposed to do

MidwayMonster31
10-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Your team is a feisty bunch. If Beason was there, the Panthers could have won this one. Just clean up the clock management, special teams and secondary, the Panthers could be in the playoffs before you know it.

ShutDwn
10-02-2011, 05:22 PM
Your team is a feisty bunch. If Beason was there, the Panthers could have won this one. Just clean up the clock management, special teams and secondary, the Panthers could be in the playoffs before you know it.

Heh, I didn't get to see the game because I was on the road but I was keeping up through the radio and the gamecenter online. The combination of rookie DTs and Beason and Davis being out is killer and we will suck against the run for the rest of the season.

I won't comment more other than I heard we went to Legadu Naane on 4th and goal. I'm almost glad I didn't get to see that. Naane doesn't belong on the field let alone being thrown to on the final play.

Caddy
10-03-2011, 04:17 AM
I honestly can't wait till we get to play you guys. Will be an exciting matchup.

ShutDwn
10-03-2011, 03:24 PM
I honestly can't wait till we get to play you guys. Will be an exciting matchup.

It should be interesting to see some division play. The NFC south is stacked at QB, and 3/4 are young.

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/editorial_image/da/daed425c1a0701678f95900da80dd045/photo_putting_cam_newtons_size_in_perspective.jpg

We gave up a freak and went and found a new one. Personally I like our new one far better, he has as much talent and far more tenacity than Peppers ever showed.

dj825
10-03-2011, 08:10 PM
It should be interesting to see some division play. The NFC south is stacked at QB, and 3/4 are young.

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/editorial_image/da/daed425c1a0701678f95900da80dd045/photo_putting_cam_newtons_size_in_perspective.jpg

We gave up a freak and went and found a new one. Personally I like our new one far better, he has as much talent and far more tenacity than Peppers ever showed.

id still like to have both, but i do agree i kinda like Cam better

ShutDwn
10-05-2011, 12:07 PM
http://scottfowlerobs.blogspot.com/2011/10/why-lafell-should-start-over-naanee-for.html

Proof of what I thought.

and this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/football/ffl/story?page=trendspotting111005

abie006
10-06-2011, 07:42 AM
http://scottfowlerobs.blogspot.com/2011/10/why-lafell-should-start-over-naanee-for.html

Proof of what I thought.

and this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/football/ffl/story?page=trendspotting111005

wow, it says: Cam Newton poised for greatness!

ShutDwn
10-08-2011, 10:31 PM
So I was watching all of Cam's throws in the previous game and I think that his stats are good but they don't even reflect how good he was in the game.

1. LaFell stumbles hard and can't make it to the ball
2. Steve Smith diving in the endzone, difficult catch but he usually makes that play.
3. Obviously the Shockey touchdown. The refs really impacted the game most here.

Obviously Cam could probably have done something better in each play as well, maybe be more accurate on the first two but you have to make those plays to be a really good on offense.

The way it's going, Cam is going to be making these plays a lot easier for the receivers. Shockey is a lot better than I thought, and gives us three quality receivers along with Olsen and Smith. They've got tons of energy, they are all rough receivers. Smith was taking big hits and staying up all game, Merriweather laid some licks which he got fined for. I think LaFell has actually been decent, I would like to see him do more I think he is gaining confidence which is what he needs along with being more in the game mentally.

I just want Pilares to bust on to the scene and run the slot, we haven't had a late draft rounders break through in forever. I guess I'd also settle for DeAngelo to get his **** together and play like he should. Think about it, he hasn't made his mark in this offense at all. Obvious lack of carries is a part of it, but he hasn't been good when he gets the chance.

Stewart is the runningback that has made a mark, especially with his great receiving ability. Mike Goodson isn't even needed, but it would be amazing to see Goodson fix the fumblitis, he could line up at receiver and beat most corners on simple routes.

Fox wasn't able to get them to take it to the next level as players, that's one thing Rivera has to do to have success soon. There is a lot of room to improve the offense without even bringing in different pieces. They seem to gel and that makes it way easier to take on them to the next level individually.

And then there's the defense...

dj825
10-09-2011, 03:58 AM
yeah....the defense....

Williams looked pretty good last sunday its just again he didnt get but 10 carries despite averaging over 8 yards per carry. but i do agree generally he hasnt looked good really and even last sunday didnt look amazing. he really does need to pick it up for the Panthers sake and for my Fantasy Football teams sake

Auron
10-09-2011, 05:32 PM
Good game, you guys almost had us.

Not really looking forward to Defending Cam Newton in the future, his running ability really broke things open.

ShutDwn
10-10-2011, 12:42 PM
Good game, you guys almost had us.

Not really looking forward to Defending Cam Newton in the future, his running ability really broke things open.

Yea, bit of a "same old story" feeling for Panther fans but I'm not really down at all. This team is fighting to the end in every game and ultimately they are responsible for their losses which shows how young they are. I think a lot of learning is going on right now and these losses are going to beneficial in the long run. We will have a higher draft pick and hopefully a weaker schedule (though that didn't work this year after going 2-14).

The first interception was a total miscommunication and the timeout before the half was huge. Some say we would have had a 12 man on the field penalty and the Saints would've kicked it either way. I say why the hell even put in the field goal unit? The saints needed a miracle to get the play off and Rivera gave it to them.

Cam showed a lot of progress throughout the game learning how to handle the Saints defense. DeAngelo was also nice to see making a play, he definitely earned the extra 30 yards.

I'm really intrigued who Rivera will make his 2nd number one, this pick will most likely be in the top 12. I'm thinking he goes defense, he probably wants to have a stud he can call "his guy".

ShutDwn
10-11-2011, 12:53 PM
http://www8.pic-upload.de/10.10.11/m88ijwc92chl.gif

so sick.

ShutDwn
10-13-2011, 09:58 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7095292/new-orleans-saints-roman-harper-fined-15k-late-hit-steve-smith-carolina-panthers

Harper got fined for the late hit in the endzone. I didn't really expect a fine, but it was a dumb move by him. The saints were hardly penalized though because, with the new kickoff rules, the penalty had zero effect.

I did find this quote amusing though:

"If you're going to score, go score, but a guy is not going to try and just walk it in on us like that," Harper said. "You're going to have to pay for it as you get past the goal line."

It's like the NFL saw this and said "no, Roman. you are the one paying"

These types of plays happen all the time where players coast in. Harper of all people should be used to that by now. I also liked Graham's flop on the last second field goal. Haha, the guy was breaking tackles all game and Gamble bumps him and he goes straight to the ground.

I think we have a great chance against Atlanta if we can hold up against Turner. I'm pretty sure the Falcons will try to control the clock and not let Cam have the ball.

ShutDwn
10-13-2011, 10:37 PM
So, I've been kind of annoyed by something through the first six weeks.

You see, I've noticed that all we ever wear is white and I've forgotten what we look like in our Blacks jerseys. This year we wear white eleven out of the sixteen games.

I like the black jerseys a lot more, the white is boring. We are wearing white again vs the Falcons and then finally blue vs the Redskins in two weeks.

dj825
10-13-2011, 11:31 PM
i like the Blue jerseys best but i agree i like the Black much more than the White. it makes sense early in the year when its hot, it makes the away team wear their darker colors and in theory put them at a disadvantage. but at this point we should black, its not been that hot most of the time around here so i dont see much of a point.

ShutDwn
10-15-2011, 05:01 PM
Random rant:

So Brandon Hogan could be back on the team in a few weeks and I was watching some of his highlights and I really like what he could bring. He is a big hitter, he does go for the big hits but he also makes plenty of impressive tackles for his size. I love his playmaking ability.

If, (and this is a big if) Hogan can be a rookie that makes an impact I actually think our corners are pretty good. Gamble has been great this year, last year we saw a lot of him, now I don't see him in replays much anymore because he shuts guys down. Captain has been surprising, I see him holding his own against larger receivers. Butler has actually been decent for us and he could still get better.

That's pretty good in my opinion. Martin and Godfrey have grown on me a bit as well.

If we improve the defensive line I think we have a really solid defense. A good secondary is made so much better with a strong front. Our defense has been a lot more fun to watch than Fox's boring crap. I love watching Charles Johnson, I didn't like the signing much at the time but I think he is proving he wasn't a flash in the pan. Greg Hardy is the man, I love his motor and how we got him in the sixth round.

But our interior, our rookies are getting beaten badly right now. It's tough for them to be but I think that they are getting a ton of experience and they'll figure out how to win more plays. Our linebackers aren't good enough to be dealing with lineman as much as they do. Thomas Davis was such a huge loss again, but it be time to find someone else. Beason is more important, but Thomas Davis' injury could mean his career is sapped.

I watched Vontaze Burfict and wow I want to see him in the NFL. He is one of the ruffest players I've seen in a while. My only question is, how smart is he? Running and hitting is fun, but how much a freelancer is he? Can he follow a game plan?

I would rather go for a dominant defensive tackle or receiver. I don't want any party of Alshon, he's another Jarrett.

It's funny though, the Panthers are 1-4 but you wouldn't be able to tell based on my atitude about the team. I think the potential of this team over the next 5 years is huge. It's crazy how much Cam has changed the fan's attitudes about the team.

tl;dnr

1. I think Brandon Hogan could be a baller
2. Our secondary is good, our interior is too weak
3. Charles Johnson = Boss
4. Greg Hardy = Boss
5. Vontaze Burfict? Is he real?
6. We are 1-4 and yet I'm excited every time I watch them. That change in attitude occurred after the opener when Cam busted out.
7. Cam = Boss

dj825
10-16-2011, 03:02 PM
still cant finish games...soon as we get to the 4th quarter both the Offense and Defense just shut down it seems most of the time. i dont understand how that happens week in and week out, its so frustrating...

ShutDwn
10-16-2011, 07:44 PM
Yea, Cam had a great game going until about that point. Usually the offense keeps up but not this time. I don't think anything is going to change for our defense right now, they just seem small to me.

Honestly though, I don't get as frustrated because while they have been competitive they aren't a playoff team. I think a growth season like this plus a good draft puts them into playoff contention. If we go 5-11 and get a nice pick I won't be thinking about how we could have been 8-8.

If you had told me we would play these QBs:

Kevin Kolb
Aaron Rodgers
Jay Cutler
Drew Brees
Matt Ryan

and we were competitive into the fourth, I'd be surprised. It's crazy how much Cam has elevated fan expectations for the entire team. Nobody would have picked us to be competitive against those guys last season.

ShutDwn
10-17-2011, 03:05 PM
McDermott mentions a possible usage of a 3-4 defense and Panther nation erupts. How many times have we had this discussion about the 3-4? The switch would take forever to make and we have no personel for it. We have one linebacker above 240, no NT and it would waste our defensive ends.

I prefer the 3-4 defense to the 4-3, but this move should have been made before the season and prior to the draft even. I don't really think this is more than them searching for something to work, I don't see a permanent change.

JPF
10-17-2011, 10:30 PM
Not to mention the DT's we drafted last year in the 3rd round aren't big enough to be NT's and don't have the skillset to translate to DE's in a 3-4.

McDermott is an idiot!

ShutDwn
10-18-2011, 11:37 AM
Not to mention the DT's we drafted last year in the 3rd round aren't big enough to be NT's and don't have the skillset to translate to DE's in a 3-4.

McDermott is an idiot!

Yea, well the fanbase took it as "holy **** we are making the switch" when it was really meant to mean they are running personel packages with three down lineman, CJ and Applewhite coming off the edge.

Applewhite was a quiet acquisition but I liked what I saw of him. I keep blaming our defensive tackles for the running problems but if I had to split the blame I'd give more to the linebackers. More rotation for the defensive tackles would be amazing in terms of keeping them fresh, things go to hell in the fourth for a reason.

JPF
10-18-2011, 10:51 PM
Oh I agree about the actual intent of what he said. I just cringe at the mention of 3-4 because the Panthers board I post on we have this discussion five to six times every year because people just don't understand 1- the scheme itself, and 2- that we don't have the personnel to run it.

Also, I'm not a fan of McDermott. I thought he did a poor job in Philly as DC.

Don't get me wrong, I'm fascinated with the 3-4 (always have been). I just think if you thought there was any chance about making the switch permanent (which I don't think was what McDermott meant) you should have handled this entire past off-season (draft & free agency) totally different.

Also, our position coaches don't have experience coaching in a 3-4 scheme. That seems like an issue to me as well.

Like I said though, I think you're right. Most of our fanbase took this comment out of context.

ShutDwn
10-24-2011, 02:33 PM
Anyone else think that was Cam's best game? He didn't even break 300 yards but he completed near 80% and averaged 14 yards doing it. **** is unreal, that's a great game for anyone.

He even wowed the Redskins, DeAngelo Hall compared him to a "pretty ferrari" and Laron Landry added: "They control their own destiny with a guy like that. He's a great quarterback. He's phenomenal. You just have to keep building around him."

Hopefully he brings that type of game against the Vikings. Peterson is going to tear the defense a new one.

dj825
10-24-2011, 03:01 PM
yeah, definitely Cams best. dont think anyone forsaw him completing nearly 80% of his passes coming out, specially his rookie year and especially not against a defense as good as the skins.

I think even if we did have a good defensive line we would still allow Peterson to run wild since thats just what he does, but yeah its gonna be especially bad i think. hopefully Ponder has trouble against our secondary and turns it over a bunch, otherwise we might be in for a high scoring game.

JPF
10-25-2011, 01:27 PM
If the Vikings have a brain they'll line Jared Allen up against Byron Bell every play and let him go to town...hopefully they don't have a brain.

Anyone else hoping for Justin Blackmon in the draft? Other than really not wanting to be picking have enough to get him.

ShutDwn
10-25-2011, 01:36 PM
If the Vikings have a brain they'll line Jared Allen up against Byron Bell every play and let him go to town...hopefully they don't have a brain.

Anyone else hoping for Justin Blackmon in the draft? Other than really not wanting to be picking have enough to get him.

Yeah. I want to see what Hogan does and if he shows potential I think receiver or linebacker is the pick to make. It would be a bit strange that our defensive head coach goes offense in his first two picks though but Cam is clearly what is pulling this team. I just don't think Davis can be relied on anymore, it's sad but true.

If we picked Blackmon and Gettis gets back on track our receivers could be great. I've actually come around to Naane a little bit more but I'd rather him be a three or four receiver.

ShutDwn
10-25-2011, 06:15 PM
Part of Cam's first run that you probably didn't see:

http://s1-05.twitpicproxy.com/photos/full/431418500.gif

Those types of plays obviously didn't happen last year and neither did blocks like that.

dj825
10-25-2011, 07:53 PM
Part of Cam's first run that you probably didn't see:

http://s1-05.twitpicproxy.com/photos/full/431418500.gif

Those types of plays obviously didn't happen last year and neither did blocks like that.

is that LaFell? nice to see a receiver laying down a hit like that. reminds me of Moose. cant tell which number it is

ShutDwn
10-25-2011, 09:21 PM
is that LaFell? nice to see a receiver laying down a hit like that. reminds me of Moose. cant tell which number it is

Yup, that's him layin' out fellow LSU alumni Laron Landry. I think Landry would've had a great shot at Newton without that block. I remembered seeing that block during the game but forgot about it.

JPF
10-27-2011, 07:56 AM
Yeah. I want to see what Hogan does and if he shows potential I think receiver or linebacker is the pick to make. It would be a bit strange that our defensive head coach goes offense in his first two picks though but Cam is clearly what is pulling this team. I just don't think Davis can be relied on anymore, it's sad but true.

If we picked Blackmon and Gettis gets back on track our receivers could be great. I've actually come around to Naane a little bit more but I'd rather him be a three or four receiver.

Agree on Davis. I didn't understand them giving him a new contract before they had to.

I wouldn't mind an LB. A trio of Beason, Anderson, and Burflict would be damn nice.

ShutDwn
10-27-2011, 12:14 PM
Agree on Davis. I didn't understand them giving him a new contract before they had to.

I wouldn't mind an LB. A trio of Beason, Anderson, and Burflict would be damn nice.

I watched some videos of Burfict and he definitely wows you with his tackles. But I'm not sure what to think of him since I've never seen him actually play. My initial reaction is that he probably isn't that good in coverage and bites hard on fakes. I couldn't see him doing anything effectively other than blitzing in a 3-4. Seems like a Ray Lewis without the field intelligence.

dj825
10-27-2011, 04:25 PM
yeah i think Davis needs to just retire. i hate saying that cuz hes one of my favorite players but for his own sake he needs to.

our WRs have kinda impressed me lately, and i no longer feel thats the biggest need, instead i think DT is. Dontari Poe is huge and could go early enough for us to pick him. he would seemingly help out against the run a lot which would be nice.

i dont think LB is a huge need but i wouldnt mind seeing us take one. i think Connor has done well as the Mike but idk what hed do outside and honestly dont expect a lot from him at that spot. we could technically move Beason outside but id much rather keep him in the middle and draft someone outside.

ShutDwn
10-27-2011, 10:22 PM
yeah i think Davis needs to just retire. i hate saying that cuz hes one of my favorite players but for his own sake he needs to.

our WRs have kinda impressed me lately, and i no longer feel thats the biggest need, instead i think DT is. Dontari Poe is huge and could go early enough for us to pick him. he would seemingly help out against the run a lot which would be nice.

i dont think LB is a huge need but i wouldnt mind seeing us take one. i think Connor has done well as the Mike but idk what hed do outside and honestly dont expect a lot from him at that spot. we could technically move Beason outside but id much rather keep him in the middle and draft someone outside.

We have nice backups, but that's what they are, they aren't starters. One major reason why we can't stop the run is our linebackers don't get to the corner fast enough. Teams love the stretch play. I think the only linebacker that is worth starting is Anderson. He's a good player but he isn't meant to be our best linebacker.

The defensive tackle position is so weak in the draft and I think it could be a bit of an overreaction to the rookie seasons of McClain and Fua. Give them the rest of the year, add some weight in the offseason and add some more talent to rotate in. I'd love a dominant defensive tackle but a great rotation is the next best thing. Remember, we lost Edwards really early too, not just Beason and Davis.

dj825
10-27-2011, 10:44 PM
true, i was never too high on either of the DTs though which i guess is why im so quick to say we should replace them. i completely forgot about Edwards as well, although i dont think he would really be the answer. as i said i agree on LB though, and wouldnt be overly dissapointed if we drafted one over a DT. we were pretty bad against the run even before we lost Beason and Davis so i think we do need some beef up from to help take some pressure off of them so they wont have to stop the run as much and focus more on attacking the QB or dropping in coverage or something other than being forced to clean up what the DTs are leaving behind every single play. i understand they would still have to occasionally but not every down.

JPF
10-28-2011, 09:12 PM
McClain is getting better IMHO, Fua to me just shouldn't be starting, he's not ready...and he wouldn't be if Edwards hadn't gotten injured as already mentioned.

I could see us going so many different ways right now in the first two rounds that I think it's easier to list what we won't draft (QB, RB, TE, K, P, S). And I'd even include DT in that, I don't think the answer to fixing our run defense is more young DT's.

ShutDwn
10-30-2011, 03:20 PM
What a choke job that was. The biggest weakness of this team: not being able to put their foot on the throat of the other team.

It's been a problem all season. The offense never does anything when the defense gets a turnover or a stop.

The fumbles hurt a lot, Cam needs to figure that out, but I'm not calling them rookie mistakes. This is the way our season will go though, with a rookie QB and a defense that doesn't get turnovers.

Oh, and **** Mare, that was a gimme.

marshallb
10-30-2011, 04:02 PM
That was a hell of a game guys. I thought you guys were gonna win it in regulation after the LaFell catch and run, but we were able to hold you to a field goal attempt that Mare inexplicably missed.

Good luck in the future, which looks very bright for you guys if you can add a weapon for Cam and work on the interior of your defense, which is gonna be helped immensely just by getting Davis and Beason back next year. I gotta admit, I was one of, if not, the biggest haters of Cam coming into the draft(I had him at #6 on my QB rankings behind Mallett, Gabbert, Locker, Ponder, and Dalton), but he's been making me look bad.

dj825
10-30-2011, 04:12 PM
Yeah mare definitely needs to make that kick. at the same time though it happens to pretty much every kicker at least once in their career including Kasay. does that make it ok for him to miss a chip shot in that situation? no. but it happened and now we gotta move on.

Overall it was the turnovers that killed us, 14 of their 24 points came off of those. i dont think you can fault the defense a whole lot in those situations.

ShutDwn
10-30-2011, 07:07 PM
Yeah mare definitely needs to make that kick. at the same time though it happens to pretty much every kicker at least once in their career including Kasay. does that make it ok for him to miss a chip shot in that situation? no. but it happened and now we gotta move on.

Overall it was the turnovers that killed us, 14 of their 24 points came off of those. i dont think you can fault the defense a whole lot in those situations.

I don't think the turnovers killed them as much as the three and outs in the second half. Sure they gave up points but they had chances to put the Vikings away with decent drives.

http://s1-02.twitpicproxy.com/photos/large/437449646.jpg

Cam says it well

JPF
10-31-2011, 10:24 AM
Our defense wasn't that bad today. They actually surprised me. But it's still obvious our most glaring needs are on that side of the ball.

JPF
11-03-2011, 08:37 PM
6th round pick whose currently on the practice squad Lawrence Wilson was stopped for speeding and busted for possession of marijuana...

ShutDwn
11-08-2011, 12:38 PM
Shockey says he wants to stay here for a while. It's pretty cool to see a player echo some of the excitement that us fans have for this team, it lets you know that they feel it too. People talk about defenses figuring the Panthers offense out and they forget that the these guys haven't even been together that long. They can still grow together so much more.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/08/jeremy-shockey-wants-long-term-deal-to-stay-with-special-team/

I definitely want him on the team for a few more years. I think he has still got a lot barring injury. I love the attitude and toughness he has injected into this offense. I think it really helps to have the edge he and Smith have when you are a passing offense. Keeps us from becoming finess.

I never would have believed how much I like having Jeremy Shockey on the team.

ShutDwn
11-12-2011, 03:10 PM
Another very winnable game tomorrow, but I expect it to come down to the be the very end.

I know that Peterson and the offensive line of the Vikings were basically why we lost in the end, but the defense did a great job against him for a long time and faltered most because the offense didn't give them a breather in the second half.

Hopefully they keep it up against CJ2k, I'd be mad if he gets on track against us but I'm not even sure if we will have a starter playing at linebacker because Anderson rolled his ankle.

I hope that Hardy and Johnson get going fast against Hasselbeck. They should have plenty of motivation after Hasselbeck said he only knows their numbers.

JPF
11-14-2011, 09:19 AM
We got the wheels beat off us.

I'm really starting to question whether or not Rivera was the right guy for the job.

JPF
11-14-2011, 10:06 AM
Alright guys, let's look at team needs....

* OT- Otah, ugh, he's played in less than 50% of the Panthers games since he was drafted. Great player or not, you have to be on the field.

* DT- McClain is getting better, Fua looks lost, Edwards should come back healthy next year but something has to give here. I'd prefer a vet, I just don't see that big time difference making DT in this draft class so I don't think another young player is the answer.

* CB- Munnerlyn sucks, Hogan is an unknown commodity, Butler has flashes, Stanford doesn't belong on an NFL roster IMO.

* S- Sherrod Martin looks lost when it comes to coverage, Pugh is maybe the worst player in the secondary yet they keep putting him on the field.

* LB- Davis can not be counted on anymore, Connor is a FA, Gaither is slow as crap, the other back-ups stink.

ShutDwn
11-14-2011, 06:37 PM
Not even going to go into what went wrong against the Titans. It does look like teams are figuring out that fast pressure is the way to stop Cam. Both the Titans and the Vikings were spanking the offensive line.

I'm going to watch the rest of the season before thinking about the draft anymore. All I'll say is that I'd go heavy on defense.

ShutDwn
11-20-2011, 06:29 PM
Go to half time up by 11

Give up 21

Tie the game

Lose by 14

That's just hard to accept.

Cam Newton is a huge improvement but asking a rookie QB to outscore teams when they get to play against our defense is impossible. Something about the second halves of games just owns the defense. They can play pretty well until halftime, and then the wheels fall off and it only gets worse. The offense also has a similar problem in the second half.

The defense has to improve. I look at the corners and I think that they can be a fine unit with a strong front four. I say that, because if I had to choose between a strong front or a strong secondary (the opposite being average), I would always choose the front. The secondary is almost totally dependent on the performance of the front seven. Drafting a top corner doesn't help us win the battle at the line of scrimmage and he probably won't be good enough to make a full impact for at least a year or two. Drafting a top corner is something I see as something established defenses do, not terrible defenses.

With no obvious dominant defensive tackles out there in the draft, I think we have to add a young playmaker in the linebacking unit. Thomas Davis is all but done and honestly I'm tired of waiting for linebackers to come back from injury. I'm not convinced there is anyone at the position to take at our top five pick so I think trading back is the best route, we really need talent at a lot of positions.

JPF
11-21-2011, 07:50 AM
The other team adjust to our defense while our defensive coaches don't understand how to make adjustments on the fly. Mystery solved.

ShutDwn
11-21-2011, 01:23 PM
The other team adjust to our defense while our defensive coaches don't understand how to make adjustments on the fly. Mystery solved.

I'd say it's more of an endurance thing than an adjustment thing. It's too easy for fans to say "we don't make the adjustments!!" because we don't have any idea what adjustments should be made, or what adjustments are even possible. All we know is that suddenly the other team is playing better.

I'm still not really a believer in our defensive coordinator, but I think he should have the opportunity to work with a fully equipped defense.

Our front has one player with a full year of starting experience: Charles Johnson. Fua and McClain are rookies and Hardy is a first year starter. Our most experienced starter only has one year of experience.

Our linebackers are decimated. I don't even need to talk about how slow and small they are. They can't set the corner for ****. This is the level we needed to be the strongest in order to overcome the inexperience in the front four, but it hardly seems like we have a healthy guy in this unit.

Our corners have probably played the best out of anyone this year. It's always deep in the game when the front gets tired and the other offense starts imposing their will that the secondary starts to give up too much.

Cam is definitely hitting some growing pains, but it's accelerated by how much he has to do. Improving the defense is the best thing we can do to help the offense. It's really annoying to watch them blow games like this right now, hopefully they gain a lot of experience right now. Also, these are mostly still Fox's players, that's probably why they are really frustrating.

I'm just dying for Brandon Hogan to make a mark. It's probably not going to happen this year, but he looks like a potential playmaker that we sorely need on defense and has return abilities as well. I'm done with Edwards.

JPF
11-21-2011, 04:54 PM
I don't see the endurance argument. Every team wears down in the second half. If our guys are wearing down that much, then they should be embarrassed.

I didn't like McDermott when he was in Philly so I definitely don't like him as our DC. I also am not big on our position coaches on defense. We hired a LB coach from Vanderbilt without any NFL experience I believe. It's not just the players that are inexperienced, it's the coaches as well.

Our D-line, that's on Hurney. Only a fool goes into the season with that inexperienced a D-line.

The LB's, injuries have killed us there. Yet I remember people talking before the season about how good our depth was there with Connor and Gaither...yea, they both suck.

I half agree on the corner thing. Gamble is playing well but Munnerlyn sucks in coverage. I don't understand why they aren't letting Butler at least start a game or two to see what he can do.

And I won't even start on our safeties.

Cam, I can't even honestly put that on the defense. Only an idiot expects a rookie to throw the ball 40 times a game when you have two 1000 yard backs on your roster. Eating up clock and yardage not only would help our rookie QB, it would help some of the defensive problems...especially if it's a conditioning thing as you think.

I hate to say it, but they blew it this past off-season. They overpaid Charles Johnson (most guaranteed money of any free agent) based on one good year. They never should have did what they did with Davis when he was still under contract (though if extending him saved us money this year and the contract really is done in a manner where there's no hit to the team for him getting hurt again my stance on that changes). And the D-Will signing, wtf! We paid him that kind of money to carry the ball 10 times a game? In this system we don't need two RB's like him and Stewart.

JPF
11-25-2011, 06:56 PM
So the team let FB- Jerome Felton go and signed WR- Darvin Adams from the practice squad.

dj825
11-26-2011, 04:03 PM
i love using first round picks on players who do great but dont see the ball ever. i also love paying RBs huge contracts so that they can have 10 carries a game. prolly two of my favorite things to do and see others do :D

JPF
11-27-2011, 04:50 PM
Maybe the worst win in franchise history?

ShutDwn
11-28-2011, 01:26 PM
Maybe the worst win in franchise history?

haha, I was at the game and it wasn't too pretty. This game really displayed how completely, disgustingly bad this defense is.

I hate watching Martin play safety. The guy is a highlight reel of bad angles and embarrassing tackle attempts. On the second bomb to Wayne, I looked at the defense and said out loud "Why is #25 on Wayne??", they hike the ball and Painter doesn't look anywhere other than at Wayne. I have no clue what the coaches were thinking with the matchups in this game. Of course Munnerlyn is going to look like **** when he tries to cover a number one receiver. Butler should have been on Garcon and Gamble on Wayne. Captain matches up better with Collie anyway.

Our linebackers look the same size as our defensive backs and they're slow as fudge. The Colts ran the ball so damn well, their backs hit the edge and NOBODY was within ten yards. That tells me that the defense is slow in recognition, and footspeed. On top of that, they ******* suck at tackling. We are only behind the bucs and the eagles in missed tackles this year.

JPF
11-28-2011, 03:26 PM
RJ Stanford covering Wayne on that one is something I'll never understand. As soon as the camera followed the ball and I saw 25 & 87 in the picture I knew it going to be bad for us.

shylo3716
11-29-2011, 02:29 PM
Do you guys take Claiborne in the Top 5 if you still pick in that spot?

ShutDwn
11-29-2011, 03:02 PM
Do you guys take Claiborne in the Top 5 if you still pick in that spot?

I don't really think he is a top five prospect, but I don't know that much about his measurables. For mocks, I would say he or Blackmon is the way to go. In reality, I would rather trade back and get some more picks to use in the 2nd or third round.

Depending on how his stock goes, I would rather pick defense in the first and then draft Mohamed Sanu in the second or so. I don't know if he is going to make to the second though once everyone realizes Alshon sucks.

JPF
11-29-2011, 05:15 PM
I disagree on WR at any point. We already have 5 young receivers (1st or 2nd year) on the roster (6 if you include Gettis who is on IR), the only way we take a receiver is if it's Blackmon. He's the only one that projects to be a future #1, but even then with as horrid as our defense is that's a luxury pick.

I'd prefer to trade down to pick up additional picks and smartly draft some defensive players that will help.

ShutDwn
12-01-2011, 02:45 PM
So Freeman could miss the game after his gun incident, he hasn't been throwing at all in practice. Also, it is possible for the entire starting defensive line to miss the game.

This will be an interesting game. We haven't had a blow out win yet and I don't expect one, we play to our competition for the most part.

Poz51
12-02-2011, 10:08 AM
I don't really think he is a top five prospect, but I don't know that much about his measurables.

Been watching Claiborne his whole career, this year this is what I see; Not as physical as Patrick Peterson, but better technique (he is either in the WR's hip pocket, or in better position than the WR to make a play on the ball), ball skills and instincts, not as athletic, but its like comparing option 1a with option 1b. If his measurables are anything near Peterson's he's top 5 hands down, teams dont throw his way, and when they get cocky and do (Tyler Wilson, you listening?) he picks it off or makes the play on the ball. He has some of the most fluid hips I have ever seen, and transitions out of his back pedal instantaniously. I think he is the most over-looked prospect right now, mainly because of Mathieu and the rest of the D are playing at such a high level.
Was just researching for my mock and read this, no disrespect intended, but I have him as the #1 prospect for Carolina right now.

ShutDwn
12-02-2011, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the info. I should say that I really like him, I just look at it as 'is he the best value for the pick we have?'

I'm sure he'll measure fine, but the best thing I notice is he looks so natural out there. He is so smooth when he plays. If he returns punts, Armanti is done.

ShutDwn
12-06-2011, 02:09 PM
Both McClain and Fua are out for the year now. Holy **** are we decimated. Not that they were really stopping anyone but wow, that's a lot of players to lose.

On the flipside, Grimes is out and Turner has a nagging injury as well. I hope to see a better team out there in the rematch against the Falcons.

JPF
12-09-2011, 09:42 AM
I don't think it's a coincidence that the best our run defense looked at year was the game Fua missed.

ShutDwn
12-10-2011, 10:27 AM
I don't think it's a coincidence that the best our run defense looked at year was the game Fua missed.

It's definitely hard to tell because we got a big lead, but I think it could be true. McClain is the bigger loss for sure.

ShutDwn
12-24-2011, 10:33 PM
That game was amazing. Granted the Bucs suck, still, I think the team is finally learning how to put teams down for good.

I love LaFell's catch. If he works on his routes more and builds with Cam he could be something good in the number two or the slot when Gettis comes back.

Got to give some credit to the defense, they played well too, and they have been for a while. They're finally playing the Robin to the offense's Batman and keeping teams from running with them.

Anyone else feeling better about the defensive tackle position a bit? I know none of them are great by themselves, but as a unit, I think we have a good enough rotation to win with for now. I would add a stud, but there is no need to reach. I'd rather see a defensive end drafted than a defensive tackle. We have Keiser, Applewhite, Hardy and CJ but I think we need more pass rush. QBs habe too much time to abuse our secondary.

Smash28Dash34
12-25-2011, 01:50 PM
That's why I think Coples is an intriguing prospect. He might not be a speed rusher, but put him opposite CJ and we just might have one of the best young tandems in the league.

ShutDwn
12-27-2011, 11:50 AM
That's why I think Coples is an intriguing prospect. He might not be a speed rusher, but put him opposite CJ and we just might have one of the best young tandems in the league.

Problem with that is I've never seen him play and his numbers were lackluster. More information will come out but he seems to be being drafted on size and ability rather than production. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes not.

A lot of our speculation will be narrowed down by what we do in free agency. I could see some decent mid level signings along with retaining some guys they like.

JPF
12-27-2011, 10:00 PM
We won't have a lot of cap room to do anything in free agency if we don't rework some contracts. According to reports we're already over what next years cap projects to be and that's with some guys we'd probably like to re-sign (Anderson, Shockey, etc.).

Coples I'm not impressed with (and I'm a UNC fan). He had a solid year last year but this year his numbers dipped. Hell, two games (Duke & James Madison) account for over half his sack total this year. He'll get drafted almost purely on athleticism.