PDA

View Full Version : Carolina Panthers Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

ShutDwn
12-31-2011, 01:44 PM
We won't have a lot of cap room to do anything in free agency if we don't rework some contracts. According to reports we're already over what next years cap projects to be and that's with some guys we'd probably like to re-sign (Anderson, Shockey, etc.).

Coples I'm not impressed with (and I'm a UNC fan). He had a solid year last year but this year his numbers dipped. Hell, two games (Duke & James Madison) account for over half his sack total this year. He'll get drafted almost purely on athleticism.

Well you know Thomas Davis will have to restructure.

JPF
01-01-2012, 09:45 PM
We project to be around 4 mill over the cap, considering we'll have a top 10 pick we'll need to cut around 7 mill just to sign our first round pick.

ShutDwn
01-04-2012, 01:36 PM
We project to be around 4 mill over the cap, considering we'll have a top 10 pick we'll need to cut around 7 mill just to sign our first round pick.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/29946/nfc-south-cap-figures-for-2012

How much does cutting Sherrod Martin and Mare clear up? I don't need to see Sherrod take any more bad angles or regress any further.

The thing about loyalty towards players and paying them big money is that they work with the front office more and help make room for improvements. Hopefully...

They'll make it and probably make it with enough room to sign some decent free agent. Too bad we can't go after Landry, we need another playmaker badly.

ShutDwn
01-05-2012, 02:08 PM
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/01/04/2899436/richardson-happy-with-direction.html#storylink=cpy#storylink=cpy

welcome to the doghouse Sherrod. A young safety could be on the board, but I kind of think Rivera would rather get a decent vet in there. Safeties aren't worth top picks.

It looks like the team likes Gettis and Lafell a lot, but if hell froze over and Blackmon was available I think we still take him. He would be the BPA by far and I'd like the looks of our new generation of receivers a lot.

JPF
01-06-2012, 05:24 PM
Cutting Mare saves about 200K, so not even enough to replace him.

Cutting Martin saves around 575K.

Smash28Dash34
01-06-2012, 06:00 PM
Lol holy crap talk about throwing a guy under the bus. Seems to me he will definitely be cut. I would love a guy like Laron Landry here.

ShutDwn
01-13-2012, 08:08 PM
iCkm-xBWToc

ShutDwn
01-14-2012, 02:50 PM
What do you guys think about Brockers declaring? I think he easily becomes the best defensive lineman available and his versatility combined with his talent.

DT version of CJ.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-16-2012, 08:16 PM
My big board is basically

Brockers, Blackmon, Trade

SchizophrenicBatman
01-16-2012, 08:51 PM
Also, something to consider:

Michael Floyd
Alshon Jeffery
Kendall Wright
Reuben Randle
Dwight Jones

One of those guys are going to be there at our 2nd round pick. I'm a big believer in Gettis and Lafell also really picked it up last year but don't you basically have to take whichever of those guys falls? All of them bring something to the table that I don't think our offense currently offers, with the possible exception of Randle who I just really like.

Obviously, we need help - a lot of help - on defense. But our offense is close to being something special and I think we'd be missing out not to take advantage of this crop of WRs. We just need one more playmaker to be there until Smitty hangs 'em up IMO - whether it's at TE, RB (a Sproles type) or WR doesn't matter - and I don't see the right fit at the other spots this year. I'd be fine and even endorse taking defense with all our other picks but now that I think about I really want one of those guys

Of course, if Blackmon drops to us at 8 I think it's a no brainer. I had to come around on the guy a bit - he's no AJ Green/Julio Jones imo - but there aren't many sure things after the first couple picks in this draft and I'm pretty confident he's one of them.

Smash28Dash34
01-16-2012, 09:40 PM
Why would we take a DT in the top 10 when we spent 2 3rds on the position last year and Ron Edwards will be coming back who we gave a considerable amount of money to?

SchizophrenicBatman
01-17-2012, 03:12 PM
Why would we take a QB #1 overall when we just took one in the 2nd round the year before?

I'm not confident in either of Fua/McClain developing into more than rotation players and even if they do, Ron Edwards is getting up there in age and coming off an injury. There's always room for good players. Look at the Giants and the DE position

ShutDwn
01-17-2012, 06:56 PM
Why would we take a QB #1 overall when we just took one in the 2nd round the year before?

I'm not confident in either of Fua/McClain developing into more than rotation players and even if they do, Ron Edwards is getting up there in age and coming off an injury. There's always room for good players. Look at the Giants and the DE position

The giants are a good example of how to stockpile defensive line talent. Teams who can't win the line don't often win championships (unless they have a HOF QB to bail them out for seasons on end).

I have no problem drafting Brockers even though we drafted two DT last year because he has some huge potential. When someone mentions Richard Seymour when describing a player, I'm all ears. We'll see how he does during the eval process.

As for receiver, I think Wright could be out there in the second but the league does love speedsters. I have seen Rueben Randle make a good amount of plays this year though I haven't looked at him as a prospect, I think he was highly touted though.

I'll break something if we draft Jeffery. I've been a fan of big college receivers before. The same argument is used in their favor but it doesn't work in the NFL if they don't have the speed. I'm not really sure bout the work ethic in learning routes, he'll need to be fantastic to be effective.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-18-2012, 09:26 AM
Jeffrey has a lot of red flags but this time last year he was considered as good a prospect as Blackmon. Compare him to Jon Baldwin, a similar but worse player, who went late first last year and if we can get him at 40/41 I would take that any day. also, he has played with some straight GARBAGE qb's in college and produced

If you had to throw a jump ball to one of our WR's right now who would you pick? I'd take Smith, and that's all you need to know in that respect. He gives us an element we don't have, and I think a monstrous WR like him would fit well on our playground offense with Cam and Steve, plus tall guys like Lafell, Olsen and Gettis streaking down the field

We have enough weapons to cover up his flaws and only play him situationally. This isn't the John Fox days where we have a 1 1/2 WRs and nothing else

Plaxico did pretty well for himself as a slow, big guy with no separation and a limited route tree his entire career

...Don't get me wrong, if Alshon runs a 4.7 I want no part of him. But if he can get under or around 4.6 I think that's enough

ShutDwn
01-18-2012, 11:04 AM
Jeffrey has a lot of red flags but this time last year he was considered as good a prospect as Blackmon. Compare him to Jon Baldwin, a similar but worse player, who went late first last year and if we can get him at 40/41 I would take that any day. also, he has played with some straight GARBAGE qb's in college and produced

If you had to throw a jump ball to one of our WR's right now who would you pick? I'd take Smith, and that's all you need to know in that respect. He gives us an element we don't have, and I think a monstrous WR like him would fit well on our playground offense with Cam and Steve, plus tall guys like Lafell, Olsen and Gettis streaking down the field

We have enough weapons to cover up his flaws and only play him situationally. This isn't the John Fox days where we have a 1 1/2 WRs and nothing else

Plaxico did pretty well for himself as a slow, big guy with no separation and a limited route tree his entire career

...Don't get me wrong, if Alshon runs a 4.7 I want no part of him. But if he can get under or around 4.6 I think that's enough

Ehh if it's really just jump ball ability that he brings I would look at the board of receivers and identify a guy who has size and decent enough speed to take a chance and develop.

I'll be in favor if Cam calls him up and makes him work with him up till camp. I'll be in favor of any player who will work like Cam has shown he does.

ShutDwn
01-23-2012, 10:42 AM
Cam Newton's last few years of football:

2009: JUCO college champion
2010: NCAA CF Champion
2011: First pick in NFL draft
Rookie of the Year (Breaks a bajillion records)
Pro Bowl
2012: ???

Stafford should have been going, but people can't take their eyes off killa Cam.

He should enjoy it, I doubt he goes again.

Cigaro
01-23-2012, 10:06 PM
I'd love for us to get Jeffery in the second round. He's obviously got great hands and great jump ball ability, but his on the speed field is more than sufficient. Just watch the long catch and run he had in the Outback Bowl(not the equally worthy Hail Mary); he does ultimately get caught and tackled by Dennard, but he easily bursts past him, showing that what he may lack in top end speed he makes up with quick burst.

There are obviously some issues with him. He's not the most polished receiver, but not horribly unpolished either. Also, although I think conditioning issues for him are overrated, I can't absolutely guarantee this.

Saying all that, I think using a second round pick on a guy with top ten potential(remember, many had him pegged above Blackmon last year) is worth it.

As for the first round, please not Coples. I just don't see anything making him worth the risk. Assuming Claiborne or Blackmon aren't available, I'd want one of either Kirkpatrick, Poe or Brockers. I think Brockers with his potential would get my pick.

ShutDwn
01-24-2012, 01:03 PM
http://www.tmz.com/2012/01/24/cam-newton-carolina-panthers-common-young-jeezy-party-atlanta/#.Tx7_aGNWo7c

Cam was out drinking (water) with some rappers! RED FLAGS!!!!!

Ravens1991
01-25-2012, 10:40 PM
How has your oline looked this season when you got Matsko as your OL coach

ShutDwn
01-26-2012, 10:16 PM
How has your oline looked this season when you got Matsko as your OL coach

Ahhh it's okay. I guess they held it together for the most part while going through injuries across it. They were very strong early when they were healthy. The pass protection wasn't as good as the run blocking.

On another note, the bucs just found a hc. Can we breath easy on Chud yet???

Cam is catching 50 yard passes at pro bowl practice, btw

ShutDwn
01-30-2012, 10:20 AM
New Logo came out:

http://menterests.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Carolina-Panthers-Logo.png

NOLAFan
01-30-2012, 02:26 PM
i like the old one better. this new one looks like its giving the wtf face.

ShutDwn
01-30-2012, 06:02 PM
i like the old one better. this new one looks like its giving the wtf face.

That's pretty much everyone's reaction initially, mine too. But the more I look at the new one next to the old one I think it is an improvement.

The old one is flat. The eyes and ears don't make sense and the jaw is just a rectangle. The new one has depth because the blue isn't just randomly slapped in there. It's just a lot more three dimensional now.

New uniforms could also be on the way.

ShutDwn
03-24-2012, 09:22 PM
I saw this from a press release

New Orleans Saints Defensive Coordinator Gregg Williams

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Are you familiar with the troubles that the Saints have had with Steve Smith?

“Yeah I am, and I’ve had the same issues too. It’s not like this is the first time I’ve gone against those guys. He’s an unbelievable football player. I wanted to draft him when I was the head coach of the Bills but obviously he came off the board before I had a chance to do that. In fact, his receiver coach in college was my receiver coach at the Buffalo Bills. I knew him inside and out but we couldn’t convince our personnel people to move him up the list to take him sooner. Our receiver coach up there and I wanted him a lot sooner than he was taken by anybody in the league, but he had a couple of health issues coming out. But he’s an unbelievable football player. He does things that obviously you can’t coach. He’s in a system where they’re going to do two or three things that we haven’t even seen on film where they’re going to try to scheme a big play to him. They try to walk down the path with them. Last week they did it; last week they threw one of those plays where they acted like they were going to run it and then they threw it to him on a short hitch, he nods and he goes right on by them. They do a lot of things like that. He’s so explosive. The thing that I think he does is the best is that for a little guy, when the ball goes up in the air, he plays like a 6-10 center; he goes and gets it. What you have to do is to turn his little body over so that when he does get it, he lands on his head and he doesn’t come back in for a while.”

ShutDwn
03-27-2012, 01:38 PM
Here is some random stuff to help get us panther fans through the offseason. I recently posted about Cam being back at work, here is some more stuff to get you excited for his second year:

zUCRh_cN_6E

The quote about the wrist band is the best part. I noticed he didn't wear one and I love that Chud wouldn't let him. For a guy who was supposed to be brought along slowly they really didn't attempt to dumb things down.

Here is Trent Dilfer speaking at some event. He talks about himself for a while so skip to the five minute mark or so. Basically he says he wasted his ability because he didn't understand the work he needed along with it.

KE1DQxGSc3I

He's already gone through all this throws and is still working out. We need to make sure he never leaves.

ShutDwn
08-27-2012, 01:54 PM
Mediocre performance but I'm not that worried. Running the ball better on first and second down will help cure those 3rd & 8s.

Tutu starting will never happen again. He can't play. Murphy is a good receiver and will be the third wideout.

Kuechly is a beast. 10 tackles, 2 solo. He was the first to the ball and the defense helped. His reaction time is fantastic. Gang tackling is the best way to play the run.

Disappointed in CJ, that was pathetic. I don't know if the pass rush will improve much.

So, with the cuts coming up, here is the 2010 draft:

Jimmy Clausen
Brandon LaFell
Armanti Edwards
Eric Norwood
Greg Hardy
David Gettis
Jordan Pugh
Tony Pike
R.J. Stanford
Robert McClain

If you ever wondered why the Panthers lack depth...

JPF
08-28-2012, 10:43 AM
Let's see, of that list...

Jimmy Clausen- likely makes the roster due for cap reasons
Brandon LaFell- #2 receiver
Armanti Edwards- likely gone
Eric Norwood- already gone
Greg Hardy- starting DE but would really be better as a back up
David Gettis- PUP, starting to wonder if he's coming back
Jordan Pugh- may or may not make it
Tony Pike- was gone a while ago
R.J. Stanford- probably will be gone
Robert McClain- gone for a while

Hurney does pretty well in the first round but after that his picks are iffy at best.

Don Vito
08-28-2012, 11:15 AM
Greg hardy #1

He was lining up inside a lot against the jets on passing downs. On a third down he lined up on mangolds nose and drove him back completely. If you don't want hardy then you don't deserve him!

ShutDwn
08-28-2012, 03:09 PM
Greg hardy #1

He was lining up inside a lot against the jets on passing downs. On a third down he lined up on mangolds nose and drove him back completely. If you don't want hardy then you don't deserve him!

He does get moved around a lot. I didn't get to really analyze anything from the Jets game and I was also watching it on a box television I could barely read numbers. I hope his stamina is increased along with his weight. Frank Alexander should help out too.

Oh, and I hate box televisions.Every throw was suspenseful because receivers were twenty yards offscreen.

JPF
08-30-2012, 12:57 PM
Greg hardy #1

The knock on Hardy is his stamina. He gets ridiculously worn down as the game (and the season) goes on. Maybe he fixed it this offseason, maybe not. But if he hasn't, he should be a rotational player and not a starter.

JPF
09-02-2012, 01:14 PM
And speaking of wasted picks...we just cut last years 3rd rounder Terrell McClain.

ShutDwn
09-02-2012, 09:02 PM
And speaking of wasted picks...we just cut last years 3rd rounder Terrell McClain.

It's a sunk cost at this point. This current draft is shaping up much better than last.

Besides, we cut him because we instantly upgraded his position. We signed Dwan Edwards who was cut due to a crowded depth chart in Buffalo. He played with the Ravens as well. I'm on board with adding another veteran to the defense and he is versatile. I don't think the front four is going to generate pressure so I hope he can occupy lineman on blitzes ala 3-4 ends and tackles.

I'm not mad when they offer a solution like this. He's an immediate starter.

“Dwan was a beast this year in camp,” center Eric Wood wrote. “I wish him well. Great teammate and a great guy.”
Linebacker Nick Barnett wrote that he was “Absolutely disappointed,” and added, “Can not have enough guys on your team like him!!”
Edwards did end up signing with the Carolina Panthers on Sunday.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/panthers-sign-free-agent-dt-dwan-edwards-release-former-third-round-pick-dt-terrell-mcclain/2012/09/02/68e9dbae-f518-11e1-863c-fe85c95ce4ed_story.html

I think we will be equipped, on paper, to stop the run. As for the pass, I think pass defense will go as our three defensive rookies go, Alexander, Kuechly and Norman.

JPF
09-02-2012, 10:27 PM
The "sunk cost" is one of those wasted draft picks you yourself was saying was one of the reasons we lack depth. Just because you like the player he was cut for doesn't change the fact it was a wasted pick.

ShutDwn
09-03-2012, 11:31 AM
The "sunk cost" is one of those wasted draft picks you yourself was saying was one of the reasons we lack depth. Just because you like the player he was cut for doesn't change the fact it was a wasted pick.

Getting upset over it doesn't do any good. When McClain was picked makes no difference in Hurney's decision.

I understand the frustration but it's not as if there's no hope.

Keuchly - probably the best LB on the team already
Amini - starting and doing well
Alexander - good preseason, could push Hardy for more time
Adams - returning punts, could improve dysmal ST, crowded offense though
Norman - currently running outside corner in nickel, should be starting soon

So while we cut a 3rd rounder, we have three guys in this current draft who were picked after the third round and are expected to contribute.

JPF
09-03-2012, 09:51 PM
He was cut after being on the 53 man roster for not even a full calendar year. A wasted pick is a wasted pick. And still supports your argument of why the team lacks depth.

I really don't understand why you're arguing me supporting your point.

Cigaro
09-04-2012, 01:28 AM
I am happy about signing Dwan Edwards. I don't expect the world from him, but he may be a pretty decent player overall. Not really happy about cutting McClain after only a year, but I will just have to trust the coaches with that one. Its not like he was exactly looking like a stud.

As for Joe Adams, I have zero expectations for him offensively. That being said, he will be worth the roster spot if he lives up to the flashes of returning prowess he has shown.

JPF
09-04-2012, 06:28 AM
I agree, Adams is definitely worth the spot as a returner. Hard to see him getting any reps on offense barring some injuries.

Alexander I'd like to be excited but he's another player we traded a future pick to get and Hurney's track record in those moves suck (Otah, Everette Brown, Armanti, ugh).

Norman is probably the player I'm the most excited about other than Luke & Amini. If he can beat out Captain for the starting job I just might name my next kid after him.

JPF
09-10-2012, 12:41 AM
My thoughts on today's game....

* O-line looked horrible. Hangartner should not be a starter at this point in his career. Bell was beaten so often I stopped keeping track. Amini is a rookie making the jump from the small college level so an adjustment period is expected. I'll never understand not upgrading RT in free agency or the draft.

* I said it last year and I'll say it again, DeAngelo is not effective without a lead blocker.

* Nakamura easily got looked off by Freeman at least twice that I saw. Once on the touchdown, the other on a pass to Vincent Jackson. Both were completions to where I believe he was suppose to be.

* Nortman needs to punt a little faster. Did anyone not know we were going to get one blocked after the first punt of the day almost was?

* Like what I saw of Dwan Edwards today, not that impressed by Ron Edwards.

* Thomas Keiser was inactive why exactly? He's done more than Applewhite EVER has.

* Cam rebounded pretty well from the INT's I thought.

* Munnerlyn usually is really good on Special Teams, but damn. Talk about a stupid penalty.

One game, things can change. Not going to write off this season, and a lot of the things I noted were things that can be fixed as the team gels....but the O-line is something that was an issue last year and I don't understand why they didn't make more of an effort to fix this past offseason.

ShutDwn
09-10-2012, 10:01 AM
[QUOTE=ShutDwn;3112170]Hunches are always stronger in hindsight, but I never had a good feeling about this game going into it. I hate playing divisional opponents that we clobbered the year before. It's just so much easier for a coach to motivate players to go beat the "bully." Good teams know how to deal with that and this was the first time in that position.

I give credit to the defense, I thought they weathered that initial storm and locked things down for the most part. After the Bucs first two drives they didn't do much. Their back finished with 4 YPC but he was around 3 most of the game. I thought our linebackers looked fast and strong against the run. Thomas Davis' hit on the goalline was amazing.

But the offense... Wow. When has a team ever rushed for 10 yards, turned the ball over twice, let up a punt block and won? I didn't see and ounce of physical play from the offense. This type of game is awful for DeAngelo.

The offensive line was the biggest loser in the game. The offense is explosive but they seemed like they were incapable of just taking the consistent gains and marching. They have to get the run game if this offense will work.

Good job Rivera, way to have your team ready to play

D-Unit
09-10-2012, 02:05 PM
So what's up with DeAngelo? Is this what the rest of the season will be like for him? Or is he a good buy low candidate?

ShutDwn
09-11-2012, 03:55 PM
Read this: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/09/11/panthers-buccaneers-week-1/

WTF Chud? Get your **** together.

So what's up with DeAngelo? Is this what the rest of the season will be like for him? Or is he a good buy low candidate?

Well, our OC had his head up his ass as you can see by the link above. Some people don't like his game that much but DeAngelo really had zero opportunity. His guards were destroyed and we ran him out of passing sets.

He's really never been a fast starter for the season.

JPF
09-12-2012, 07:51 AM
DeAngelo has always warmed up as the season went on, but he's a back that needs a lead blocker and better O-line play than the team had this past week.

ShutDwn
09-12-2012, 05:08 PM
finally, a gif of this where I can see what the hell is going on:

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1184047/panthers1_medium.gif

Yeah... Compare that to the PI call on Norman against Vincent Jackson. That pass wasn't even catchable.

You can see the ref watching from our exact angle too. This type of play is going to happen all year I think. Hope we come out on the better end more than not.

Legacy
09-13-2012, 02:31 PM
Pass interference or not (and I'll admit that I was surprised they didn't throw the flag), Newton never should have made that throw.

ShutDwn
09-13-2012, 03:30 PM
Pass interference or not (and I'll admit that I was surprised they didn't throw the flag), Newton never should have made that throw.

It looks like a perfect throw to me. LaFell is coming down with that 10/10 times. That's his biscuits and gravy. Cam said he wasn't upset about his choice to throw that ball and he knows it's because the refs jobbed him.

The other INT is the one he shouldn't have thrown.

Legacy
09-13-2012, 03:38 PM
He threw that into triple coverage. Even if Talib hadn't broken it up, the defender who cleaned up LaFell would have knocked that ball loose.

Cigaro
09-13-2012, 07:14 PM
He threw that into triple coverage. Even if Talib hadn't broken it up, the defender who cleaned up LaFell would have knocked that ball loose.

Into triple coverage, but literally right at the receivers hands. Foolish throw if you screw up the accuracy, true, but he was clearly accurate.

ShutDwn
09-16-2012, 05:31 PM
There's that offense we came to love. Cam had another efficient game completing 70% but no turnovers.

Offense:
Brandon LaFell is really emerging. The pass protection was pretty good today and Newton looked great moving in the pocket. DeAngelo and Stewart got cranking and made the biggest difference from last week. Olsen didn't show up at all and I don't know if Murphy was on the field much at all. Shout out to Kalil for wrecking Harper on that run by LaFell.

Defense:
Statistically it doesn't look good at all but I thought they played well enough against Drew Brees who was in air it out mode through the last half of the game. I'd like more pressure but I like the line 10x more than last year. I have to think Martin being gone has something to do with that. Norman also played well. I hardly saw Brees throw against him. Gamble had a TD saving deflection. It's great to see Beason and TD out there making plays. Kuechly has been quiet but I can't complain when it's because those vets are making plays. Godfrey is having a good year so far. If the defense starts wrapping up better they'll drastically improve.

JPF
09-16-2012, 11:10 PM
160+ rush yards, not happy with the run d right now.

ShutDwn
09-17-2012, 01:25 PM
160+ rush yards, not happy with the run d right now.

But did they give up those yards the same way they did last year? If they can improve their tackling they'll put up much better statistics. They're in position, just not making the play (except that 48 yarder).

I'd rather have Pierre Thomas be the Saint that had the big game than Jimmy Graham or Sproles.

Also:
http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z325/jcbouche/Kalil2.gif

JPF
09-17-2012, 06:21 PM
Tackling and not staying with their assignments is why they gave up so many yards.

Sproles made plenty of plays, to the tune of 128 yards receiving mostly on screens.

ShutDwn
09-20-2012, 05:28 PM
Tackling and not staying with their assignments is why they gave up so many yards.

Sproles made plenty of plays, to the tune of 128 yards receiving mostly on screens.

Ok, man. I just think your chances of being happy in today's NFL are going to be slim if you hate giving yards up to last year's top offense.The defense isn't at the point where it's going to hold opponents in place like the 49ers. It's all about tightening up in the redzone and eliminating big plays right now.

Game night tonight, I don't know what to expect from the team. Will they shine in the spotlight or will it be to big? Get Cam going in the run game. He's looked fine in the pocket but I think he feels more comfortable when he isn't playing delicately.

I'm excited to see the defense again. Manning on a short week is tough but they have injuries so it's hard to guess how that'll go.

Cigaro
09-20-2012, 10:19 PM
Defense looked like ****. Offense looked decent on a few drives in the second half, but most of that was cut short by bad throws by Newton. I am kind of desensitized to the pathetic state of our defense, but for all the money we have tied up in it, we have to expect a lot more from the offense.

Cigaro
09-20-2012, 10:32 PM
To elaborate a little;

The offense in general has to improve. Like I said, we simply have too much money tied up in that eleven to score seven total points. Cam Newton has got to smarten up his throws.

Joe Adams has to hold onto the ball. He has a lot of promise as a returner, but that is mute if he keeps fumbling/muffing it.

To repeat, the defense is ****. Defensive line was completely inept, couldn't pressure the quarterback or stop the run. The secondary looked useless. Obviously Norman is just a rookie, but we are going to need him to improve nonetheless. Linebackers looked alright, but they are useless when the guys in front and behind them can't do anything right.

All that being said, its not the end of the world. The Giants are a very good team, they won the Superbowl for a reason. We have to rebound like we did after the Tampa game. At the same time, Atlanta is looking really good and they aren't going to make improving easy for us.

ShutDwn
09-21-2012, 10:55 AM
To elaborate a little;

The offense in general has to improve. Like I said, we simply have too much money tied up in that eleven to score seven total points. Cam Newton has got to smarten up his throws.

Joe Adams has to hold onto the ball. He has a lot of promise as a returner, but that is mute if he keeps fumbling/muffing it.

To repeat, the defense is ****. Defensive line was completely inept, couldn't pressure the quarterback or stop the run. The secondary looked useless. Obviously Norman is just a rookie, but we are going to need him to improve nonetheless. Linebackers looked alright, but they are useless when the guys in front and behind them can't do anything right.

All that being said, its not the end of the world. The Giants are a very good team, they won the Superbowl for a reason. We have to rebound like we did after the Tampa game. At the same time, Atlanta is looking really good and they aren't going to make improving easy for us.

He's got to smarten up when we're down. I don't know what's going on playcalling wise, but if we're really throwing deep into prevent zones, I can't see a different outcome. Cam hasn't developed the patience to take what the defense gives him, throw 8 yard darts down the field and wait till the defense slips. Stewart is clearly a huge part of this offense. DeAngelo simply can't deal with DEs like the Giants have.

That game was truly awful. I didn't like the thought of this team going in on four days rest/preparation against the SB champs. I don't care if the Giants were injured, the team wasn't ready. No secondary could've done well last night with the time Manning had to throw. I didn't know the Giants Oline would make the Saints oline look like a JV team. Rivera would have been better off strategically placing piles of **** all over the field to deter the Giants. Oh, wait...

Grantland wrote an article about Hurney in response to this horrific game that actually looks at how the Panthers have arrived at this point:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8406098/the-roster-moves-made-panthers-gm-incompetent-best

I really hope we don't perform "average enough" for Hurney to keep his job. I'm also not sure about Rivera. Seems like Singletary to me.

SuperMcGee
09-21-2012, 11:54 AM
Just saw that Dwan Edwards has 3.5 sacks for you guys, already. Knew he'd be an immediate pickup after falling victim to our numbers/money situation, but didn't quite expect this kind of production. How has he been on the whole?

JPF
09-21-2012, 03:02 PM
Grantland wrote an article about Hurney in response to this horrific game that actually looks at how the Panthers have arrived at this point:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8406098/the-roster-moves-made-panthers-gm-incompetent-best

I really hope we don't perform "average enough" for Hurney to keep his job. I'm also not sure about Rivera. Seems like Singletary to me.

Saw that, agreed with every word. With the Rivera comparison...he reminds me of Seifert as far as how they act on the sidelines during the games. Stoic, standing there with no emotion and their arms crossed.

Ok, man. I just think your chances of being happy in today's NFL are going to be slim if you hate giving yards up to last year's top offense.The defense isn't at the point where it's going to hold opponents in place like the 49ers. It's all about tightening up in the redzone and eliminating big plays right now.

Since we're 27th in Red Zone defense and have giving up the 6th most 20+ yard pass plays, and tied for the most 20+ yard run plays, I'd say we're not doing either.

My point about the screen plays was that for a team that ran screens quite a bit last year, and quite effectively, our defense sure can't recognize them for crap.

Just saw that Dwan Edwards has 3.5 sacks for you guys, already. Knew he'd be an immediate pickup after falling victim to our numbers/money situation, but didn't quite expect this kind of production. How has he been on the whole?

He has 70% of our teams sacks so far. He's not doing quite as well in run defense but he's by far our most productive D-linemen.

Smash28Dash34
09-21-2012, 08:38 PM
Sup guys haven't been on here in a while. Last night was depressing to say the least. Not because of how bad we lost, but how we lost. Where's the heart in this team? What happened to keep pounding? I know this team has major holes on defense, but 36-7? They looked like zombies out there in the 2nd half. The only guy that shows any fight for 60 mins is #89.

NY+Giants=NYG
09-22-2012, 10:47 AM
Maybe it had to do with the short week. If you have a young team, perhaps the short week had something to do with the result of the game. Also, who knows maybe the team read about the hype about this game. Everywhere I looked everyone was picking the Panthers to win, which included the Thurs. NFL network people. So maybe they thought they'd come out and beat us because of the injuries we had. Also, Cam Newton was hyped up a lot as the guy we would have trouble with. A young team might get a sense of just showing up and expecting to win. Maybe that played a part in it? Short week and the expectation of going through the motions, on a nationally televised game and winning.

ShutDwn
09-22-2012, 12:09 PM
Maybe it had to do with the short week. If you have a young team, perhaps the short week had something to do with the result of the game. Also, who knows maybe the team read about the hype about this game. Everywhere I looked everyone was picking the Panthers to win, which included the Thurs. NFL network people. So maybe they thought they'd come out and beat us because of the injuries we had. Also, Cam Newton was hyped up a lot as the guy we would have trouble with. A young team might get a sense of just showing up and expecting to win. Maybe that played a part in it? Short week and the expectation of going through the motions, on a nationally televised game and winning.

I think it was the four days that hurt a lot, I think they were also a bit too excited about finally beating the Saints. After seeing the Pack/Bears and Panthers/Giants I am going to bet on the veteran team on Thursday night football every time.

I didn't think the Panthers were mentally prepared at all. I guess they thought they'd just double Cruz and nothing else would be a threat? That was until Manning had enough time to have a picnic every snap. The defense played well the week before by getting pressure on Brees, but without pressure they're toast.

Cam's getting heat (again) for the poutiness. Oh well, people will pry and act like psychologists. I don't think Cam is a spoiled kid who can't lose, I think he's expected to carry a team whether they show up or not. He's said it before, he doesn't like looking around and seeing teammates saying "we'll get it right next time", to me that's fair.

Who wouldn't get a little annoyed that your teammates can't hold Andre Brown and Bardin to 200 yards in a half? God forbid they don't allow an opening drive for a TD this year. He is at his worst when he plays like a QB that can't trust his defense and punting is essentially a potential game losing play. I really don't want that to become engrained in him. Eli Manning stayed patient and trusted his defense all the way to a superbowl championships and MVPs. Cam's trying to do all the heavy lifting right now and it's not going to work long term.

He needs to get better at handling it, and he will with experience. I think it'll really go away once they actually functions as a team consistently, like they did vs New Orleans.

NY+Giants=NYG
09-22-2012, 12:30 PM
I think it was the four days that hurt a lot, I think they were also a bit too excited about finally beating the Saints. After seeing the Pack/Bears and Panthers/Giants I am going to bet on the veteran team on Thursday night football every time.

I didn't think the Panthers were mentally prepared at all. I guess they thought they'd just double Cruz and nothing else would be a threat? That was until Manning had enough time to have a picnic every snap. The defense played well the week before by getting pressure on Brees, but without pressure they're toast.

Cam's getting heat (again) for the poutiness. Oh well, people will pry and act like psychologists. I don't think Cam is a spoiled kid who can't lose, I think he's expected to carry a team whether they show up or not. He's said it before, he doesn't like looking around and seeing teammates saying "we'll get it right next time", to me that's fair.

Who wouldn't get a little annoyed that your teammates can't hold Andre Brown and Bardin to 200 yards in a half? God forbid they don't allow an opening drive for a TD this year. He is at his worst when he plays like a QB that can't trust his defense and punting is essentially a potential game losing play. I really don't want that to become engrained in him. Eli Manning stayed patient and trusted his defense all the way to a superbowl championships and MVPs. Cam's trying to do all the heavy lifting right now and it's not going to work long term.

He needs to get better at handling it, and he will with experience. I think it'll really go away once they actually functions as a team consistently, like they did vs New Orleans.

That sounds fair. I do think that Newton needs to grow up though. He brings it on himself I think. This is pre draft.

"I see myself not only as a football player, but an entertainer and icon,” Newton said as noted by Sports Illustrated's Peter King during a phone call he had with the quarterback.

I think he wants to be considered a brand name. But maturity issues is something he needs to work on. He knows this and even addressed it and vowed to be better at it.

That's the troubling thing. You don't hear, or I may not have heard too many franchise QBs saying that. Doing that celebration after being down so much was nonsense and immaturity. You can't do that! That's especially after vowing, before the season, that you would mature into a leader.

So Newton’s assessment of himself as a “bad teammate,” in an interview with Yahoo Sports’ Jason Cole, seems at odds with his performance on the field.

“I was very immature,” Newton said when asked about his sometimes moody reaction as losses piled up. “I’ll be the first one to tell you, the pouting and the moping, I kind of overdid it. I know that. I was a bad teammate. I shut off to some people who gave unbelievable effort. … That’s where I have to mature.”

So I don't think he is a spoiled kid, but he needs to mature. Sitting there with a towel on your head pouting is not what leaders do. It reminded me of LT in the AFC Championship game against the Pats pouting with his helmet on.

I am glad Smith said something to him. Now he has all the chances to do well and mature, and I hope he does mature. However, seeing that on a nationally televised game isn't going to help him.

SchizophrenicBatman
09-30-2012, 04:41 PM
Richardson is the new Al Davis

Team continues to be built in the same dying fashion in a changing NFL under a senile owner. Davis always wanted the big arm Coryell QB who could go deep when the NFL was being taken over by the WCO.

Richardson wants to spend $100m on a backfield and run the ball while every other team that has sustained success does it with the passing game.

He keeps the clearly incompetent Hurney around because he's familiar and "loyal" to him and Rivera is just the first in a line of clowns similar to the Raiders with Shell/Kiffin/Cable/etc because no one worthwhile will touch this franchise as long as Richardson is in charge.

Cam gave us hope but it was false hope. He can't carry this team by himself and he has his own issues he needs to improve on. But you compare the mess he stepped into with the babying now successful QBs like Ryan, Flacco and Big Ben had when they entered the league...it's no coincidence.

ShutDwn
09-30-2012, 04:44 PM
God dammit. I hate Rivera. This will be his legacy. Being close and playing not to lose.

Nakamura is awful. I can't stand him being on this defense. He's useless against the run and the pass. He's simply a prop to be posterized. Good job, Hurney. You replaced Martin with a smaller less athletic version of himself.

Cam needs to hold onto the ball an they'll win, but that wasn't where they lost it.

Here's how you solve the Panther's problems:

1. Learn how to tackle. This means getting Beason off the field.
2. Stop running the option and just hand the ball off.

Richardson is the new Al Davis

Team continues to be built in the same dying fashion in a changing NFL under a senile owner. Davis always wanted the big arm Coryell QB who could go deep when the NFL was being taken over by the WCO.

Richardson wants to spend $100m on a backfield and run the ball while every other team that has sustained success does it with the passing game.

He keeps the clearly incompetent Hurney around because he's familiar and "loyal" to him and Rivera is just the first in a line of clowns similar to the Raiders with Shell/Kiffin/Cable/etc because no one worthwhile will touch this franchise as long as Richardson is in charge.

Cam gave us hope but it was false hope. He can't carry this team by himself and he has his own issues he needs to improve on. But you compare the mess he stepped into with the babying now successful QBs like Ryan, Flacco and Big Ben had when they entered the league...it's no coincidence.

100M on a backfield that will only rush from the option, even if they're trying to kill the clock. I bet Cam wish he had another target to throw too with some of that money.

Cowher obviously didn't want any part of this rebuild. I think my only hope is for Rivera to be the placeholder for a real NFL coach.

This team needs so much more talent.

SchizophrenicBatman
09-30-2012, 04:56 PM
I lost faith in Rivera mid-season last year. That's never happened so quickly with a sports team I follow. And I'm a Mets fan who went to school while THIS GUY was my basketball team's coach http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidney_Lowe

He needs to be fired and we need to purge the roster of as many bad contracts as possible. That means Beason, Davis and sadly even DeAngelo all have to go.

Unfortunately Hurney has left us so devoid of talent that we're starting 5th and 7th round CBs their rookie years we can't burn it all to the ground. Martin is a good example of this. He isn't good but how do you watch Godfrey and Marshall continually get lost the last couple of years in coverage and identify HIM as the problem??? He's going to have to play while we fix more important areas. Godfrey fits that also - he still isn't good and is overpaid but he's gotten better and is going to have to play because this roster needs an overhaul and we can't waste first round picks on safeties after we've burned so many on RBs and LBs

ShutDwn
09-30-2012, 06:20 PM
I lost faith in Rivera mid-season last year. That's never happened so quickly with a sports team I follow. And I'm a Mets fan who went to school while THIS GUY was my basketball team's coach http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidney_Lowe

He needs to be fired and we need to purge the roster of as many bad contracts as possible. That means Beason, Davis and sadly even DeAngelo all have to go.

Unfortunately Hurney has left us so devoid of talent that we're starting 5th and 7th round CBs their rookie years we can't burn it all to the ground. Martin is a good example of this. He isn't good but how do you watch Godfrey and Marshall continually get lost the last couple of years in coverage and identify HIM as the problem??? He's going to have to play while we fix more important areas. Godfrey fits that also - he still isn't good and is overpaid but he's gotten better and is going to have to play because this roster needs an overhaul and we can't waste first round picks on safeties after we've burned so many on RBs and LBs

TD's on the vet minimum isn't he? I'd keep him for that, at least for another year.

Beason needs to take a big pay cut to stay. He's a shell of himself so far. I don't know if this is a situation where he'll be back to himself next year. Honestly, I'm just tired of the injured linebacker story line it's been going on since I've been a conscious fan of this team. It's endless.

I don't think any real changes will happen. We won't have cap space for a decent FA move, like a FS. But we'll probably give a nice contract extension to who ever is injured or a player at a position that has already been solidified.

This team needs Cam to become so good he wins despite his team and coach ala Peyton Manning and Tony Dungy. Too bad this isn't the AFC South circa 2000-2010.

It doesn't matter how close the team was and how they lost. It'll be a completely different blunder next week. They're still due to miss a game winning FG, give up a ST return and get wrecked by penalties.

Joe Adams was benched for fumbling twice against NY. Those fumbles, in the grand scheme of things were relatively harmless. Nakamura gets beaten and targeted for big plays all game and he'll still start next week. Martin can't be that much worse.

ShutDwn
10-07-2012, 08:12 PM
Yup, like I thought, they came up with a brand new way to come up short.

Supporting this team seems more difficult than ever right now. They just suck at basic football. I think it's worse than the 2-14 season because I don't see a real change coming.

I don't know if I should hope for a turn around or for them to tank causing Rivera and Hurney to GTFO. I'm leaning toward the latter. Hurney will just use a top ten pick on a runningback.

Stewart + Williams = 10 carries 22 yards

GOOD THING WE LOCKED THEM UP. They're going to earn more money per run than they are yards per run at this point.

notacarolinafan
10-08-2012, 12:17 AM
So frustrating right now.

JPF
10-09-2012, 11:08 AM
It may be time to clear out the front office. I've never understood how Hurney had a job the begin with.

ShutDwn
10-10-2012, 01:42 PM
Kalil is gone for the year.

Fantastic. They are going to have a top five draft pick.

Cigaro
10-10-2012, 11:56 PM
It may be time to clear out the front office. I've never understood how Hurney had a job the begin with.

Friends in the right places.

ShutDwn
10-13-2012, 12:35 PM
Hey guys, David Gettis is coming back to save the season.

lol yea right

ShutDwn
10-17-2012, 12:16 PM
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra-points/2012/carolinas-absurd-offensive-splits

Carolina Offensive DVOA by Down, 2012

Down-- Yards-- Rk
1--- 7.28--- 1
2--- 4.95--- 24
3--- 4.71--- 23

This is not because of two or three fluky plays. The Panthers have three plays over 35 yards (66, 51, and 40) but they also have two losses of -12 yards and -9 yards. They have made 45 percent of needed yardage on 48 percent of first downs, which is third in the NFL behind San Francisco and New England. Cam Newton is completing 71 percent of his passes on first down, 56 percent on second down, and 41 percent on third or fourth down.
Perhaps part of the problem is that the Panthers have forgotten that they employ running backs on third down. Panthers running backs have only three carries on third down all season -- two on third-and-1, and one on third-and-2. They have thrown only four passes to running backs on third down (NFL average is seven, and that includes the six teams with one fewer game played.)

This offense needs to focus on getting one first down at a time. Work the underneath routes, dump it to the checkdown, run a normal handoff and keep moving forward. This boom or bust offense has been mostly bust and it shows.

They have a 34% 3rd down conversion rate and yet they have the highest 1st down average. They have to start getting more players involved on offense. Cam can do a lot but he'll never be able to do it all.

ShutDwn
10-18-2012, 04:14 PM
Beason and Gamble missed Thursday's practice and are questionable for Sunday. Rivera wouldn't rule out IR.

Both players haven't played since the Falcons game, 21 days ago.

Good to know this team can't even win during a bye week. ******* great.

This better not save Hurney and Rivera's jobs.

This team was literally built to fail.

They've picked either a RB or a LB in 5 of the last 7 first rounds. Cam and Otah being the two exceptions. Just think about that. They've spent premium picks on two positions that transfer the easiest from college to the NFL. There are plenty of LBs drafted in the second round that are outperforming all three of the Panthers' first rounders. I don't even expect TD and Beason to be around in two years. Hopefully Kuechly makes up for them both but he'll have his work cut out for him when Hurney refuses to pick a DT to keep blockers off him.

This FO doesn't pick the positions it needs and when it tries, it fails to pick the right players.

Why have they avoided investing a quality pick on a corner or a WR for years? The last time they picked a corner early was Marshall in 2006, unless you count picking a (still) injured Brandon Hogan in the third. The last time they picked a WR high it was Jarrett in the second in 2007 unless you count Brandon LaFell in the 3rd.

Seriously, a tank full of manatees randomly selecting players could do a better job building a team tan Hurney.

ShutDwn
10-21-2012, 06:57 PM
This team is the opposite of the 2003 Cardiac Cats. Week in and week out, they manage to lose games by one score. It's remarkable.

I don't know. Is it better that they just tank and get Hurney and Rivera fired? I don't really want to do well enough that we keep them...

JPF
10-22-2012, 08:11 AM
NVM- min ugh

JPF
10-22-2012, 08:57 AM
Marty Hurney has been fired!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/22/panthers-fire-g-m-marty-hurney/

Cigaro
10-22-2012, 11:26 AM
Marty Hurney has been fired!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/22/panthers-fire-g-m-marty-hurney/

http://i.imgur.com/d7TBk.gif

http://i.imgur.com/gu8UW.gif

http://i.imgur.com/2NGTo.gif

http://i.imgur.com/i9fPA.gif

http://i.imgur.com/YneTj.gif

http://i.imgur.com/d0l2c.gif

http://i.imgur.com/Aouil.gif

JPF
10-22-2012, 09:15 PM
New GM will have his work cut out for him. We're sitting at around 12 mill worth of contracts over next years projected cap.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/1-5-start-panthers-fire-gm-marty-hurney-154631708--nfl.html

ShutDwn
10-24-2012, 12:15 PM
Beason hits IR.

Gamble, Kalil and Beason are all gone. At least Kuechly has been good in the middle. It looks like he was really just out of position in the first games. He's wrapping up well and it's shown against the run. Both Cowboys runningbacks didn't even average three yards. He's always around the ball, as evidenced by his interception and the fumble recovery.

Plenty of blame for other players, but the one single "what if" play is when James Anderson dropped a pick. That's a game changing play.

ShutDwn
10-28-2012, 03:28 PM
UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I'm pretty sure I've gone over everything I would say about this game for the past month

1. 8 yard punt
2. Smith slipped on that pick 6
3. easiest 2 minute drill I've ever seen

It's always something different, but the outcomes is the same.

ShutDwn
10-29-2012, 12:27 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/29/panthers-stayed-in-same-coverage-bears-drove-for-game-winner/

Godfrey and Captain have tattled on Rivera. They ran cover 4 the entire way and let the Bears run slants, the entire way. When had the Bears gotten deep? Not only had Norman covered well, but I don't think the Bears line could've stopped the rush for that long.

Rivera doesn't admit mistake though, here are some brilliant quotes:

“It’s one of those things where if you jump [the route] and they double-move you, now all of a sudden it’s a touchdown or the ball is in field goal range,” Rivera said. “We were trying to make them systematically beat us.”

@joeperson: Rivera said he would have liked to have seen corners,safeties play tighter on Bears' game-winning drive, when Panthers stayed in soft zone.

Isn't that what's he's paid to make happen?

This team must hate him by now. I can't see how they respect a guy who is 1-10 in games decided by a TD or less.

ShutDwn
11-05-2012, 03:05 PM
We finally broke through!

We survived another Nortman shank, some drops, penalties and bad route running. The offense did enough to win and Newton overcame that bloody thumb. There was also this:

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1685965/returnofthereplacements.gif

I was impressed most by the defense. I don't want to make proclamations when Peyton Manning is headed to town but every level seems to be playing really well.

Greg Hardy has officially turned into a bonafide starter. He's surpassed last year's sack total in two games. He and CJ are taking the defense to a new level. Dwan has also put up his best sack totals in his career playing in our 4-3. It's awesome that Frank Alexander is looking good as well.

The secondary did well enough against a play action, option, dink and dunk offense. Josh Thomas specifically made a great play on the 4th and goal to string that play out.

Lastly the linebackers are looking a lot better than earlier this year. Thomas Davis' hit on RG3 was insane but probably not smart. Kuechly looked good but has room to improve. They contained RG3 for most of the game.

Most pivotal point in the game: goal line stand and then 98 yards for the TD to Smith. That was huge for this team.

Cigaro
11-06-2012, 01:47 AM
Ignore anything and everything I say.

ShutDwn
11-11-2012, 07:09 PM
It would require more energy than it's worth to talk about the offense. Totally pathetic.

I give the defense some credit for hanging around. They forced 3 fumbles while their offense went 3&Out seven straight times and 0/12 on third down the entire game. Keuchly is a beast as well. Ridiculous closing speed. Hardy also had a great FF on a hustle play.

Please bring in a coach that will give this offense some ******* balls.

Cigaro
11-12-2012, 11:30 AM
Does anyone think that perhaps the Panthers should consider drafting an offensive tackle in the first, as opposed to defensive tackle? Lotulelei looks like a beast, but dear God we are horrible on the offensive line, and we need to assist Cam if we're ever going to be competitive in today's high-flying league.

ShutDwn
11-12-2012, 11:52 AM
Does anyone think that perhaps the Panthers should consider drafting an offensive tackle in the first, as opposed to defensive tackle? Lotulelei looks like a beast, but dear God we are horrible on the offensive line, and we need to assist Cam if we're ever going to be competitive in today's high-flying league.

It's possible. But would more time really help the receivers get open?

DT, OL, WR and FS are the biggest needs.

Good thing we have all those runningbacks to help take the pressure off Cam! Man, I just love having three guys that can't even be effective at the same time!

Cigaro
11-12-2012, 12:10 PM
A primary concern is the depth at the positions in the draft. Defensive tackle is certainly deeper thus perhaps better to wait for. Kawann Short, John Jenkins, Jesse Williams, Sharriff Floyd, Sheldon Richardson could all easily be in play for the second round, whereas the offensive tackles still remaining in the second are likely locks for the right side. Of course we need a right tackle, but I'd prefer someone who could start off on the right but be bred as Gross's successor as well.

Of course addressing safety and wide receiver are key concerns as well, but I'm just not sure how we could go about that.

Cigaro
11-12-2012, 04:16 PM
CHARLOTTE – Richard Rodgers, added to the Panthers coaching staff last offseason to assist Brian Murphy with special teams, has relieved Murphy as special teams coordinator, head coach Ron Rivera announced Monday.

"I have replaced Brian Murphy as the special teams coach with Richard Rodgers, the reason being philosophical differences and productivity," Rivera said. "Special teams is important, and we've got to find a way to be better at it."

Rivera informed Murphy of the decision at 7 a.m. Monday, then told the rest of his staff at an 8 a.m. meeting – a staff that is under the microscope with the Panthers falling to 2-7 and a new general manager on the way.

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Special-teams-coordinator-Murphy-dismissed-Rodgers-promoted/75b8663c-f8df-46f5-8dbb-5d7b306823d1

Another head rolls.

ShutDwn
11-12-2012, 05:15 PM
A primary concern is the depth at the positions in the draft. Defensive tackle is certainly deeper thus perhaps better to wait for. Kawann Short, John Jenkins, Jesse Williams, Sharriff Floyd, Sheldon Richardson could all easily be in play for the second round, whereas the offensive tackles still remaining in the second are likely locks for the right side. Of course we need a right tackle, but I'd prefer someone who could start off on the right but be bred as Gross's successor as well.

Of course addressing safety and wide receiver are key concerns as well, but I'm just not sure how we could go about that.

I don't think there is a premier WR like Green or Johnson so I doubt they pick one in the top 5. It's probably going to be a lineman, either DT or OL.

Depending on how high we are picking I'm sure the new GM will entertain the idea of trading down with a QB-needy team. Trading back a bit and drafting OT, WR/TE and DT in the first two rounds would be my preference.

Free agency and who is let go from this team will tell us a lot. They really need to move away from this stable of RBs. It doesn't help Cam at all.

Cigaro
11-19-2012, 05:56 PM
Rivera had a meeting with Richardson, where he was told he would be coaching the rest of the season.

Which means he almost assuredly won't be kept for next year.

http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2012/11/rivera-expects-to-coach-rest-of-season.html

ShutDwn
11-27-2012, 04:22 PM
Philly sucks but a wins a win. At least we got to see some of that old Cam. I think they allowed him to audible more. Definitely helped out. This offense has the tools but it has no offensive line. I'm in favor of drafting an OT first round... and then Ron Edwards went down and we're about to see what this defense would look like without another good DT.

If we could, I'd trade back and pick up another first, then draft OT, TE and DT in some order. I think another TE is better right now versus drafting a WR. A TE helps in the run game as well, which the new coach has to commit to. It just makes everyone better.

Smash28Dash34
12-04-2012, 07:39 AM
If there was any debate on what side of the ball is more in need of a first round pick it ended in that Chiefs game. I know the offensive line needs a complete upgrade but we made Brady Quinn look like Joe Montana out there. Please get Star in here Asap.

ShutDwn
12-06-2012, 12:30 PM
If there was any debate on what side of the ball is more in need of a first round pick it ended in that Chiefs game. I know the offensive line needs a complete upgrade but we made Brady Quinn look like Joe Montana out there. Please get Star in here Asap.

Ron Edwards was a bigger part of the defense than we knew. Fua is such trash. They probably flipped a coin to decide between him and MClain. Looks like they lost that toss as well...

In other news, Pete Prisco is being a dipshit about Cam again. He wrote about the pro bowl and how Cam apparently disrespected players there. If you watched the game you saw the AFC clearly ramp up their effort when Cam came in. Prisco cites unnamed sources that say he was cocky and aloof. Seemingly contradictory ways to act. Also, he dissed Ray Lewis apparently although Lewis wouldn't comment.

So there you have it. Cam goes for 7 TDs in two games, looks more involved in to the game and this is the news story that gets written about him. A story from the damn PRO BOWL. I'm pretty sure they just didn't like him running around on them. Everyone treated the game like a joke and then Cam took off a few times and they got pissy.

How can players talk about his attitude and **** on his reputation yet they won't put their names next to it? They sound like a bunch of sorority sisters talking **** about the new pretty girl at the formal.

ShutDwn
12-09-2012, 08:11 PM
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTU3NzA5MjI0Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTEwNzMzMQ@@._ V1._SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg

Anyone else convinced Cam is the real deal? First player with 250 passing, 100 rushing, with 1 rushing and 1 passing TD.

He's leading the league in YPA and he doesn't even have a supporting run game or offensive line! He had 85% of the offenses production. Yea, the completion percentage could be higher but he doesn't make terrible decisions on a regular basis either. When he gets time to throw, I expect good plays. His timely runs are changing the offense but he's a pocket passer through and through. Get the man an offensive line and a committed run game so we don't need those 3rd & 11 heroics.

Oh, Keuchly had 16 tackles. I guess that's pretty good. Give him a stud DT to play behind and he'll be a perennial pro bowler. Seeing TD get the pick was great too.

Oh, and Greg Hardy is the most improved player on the team. DE, DT and punt coverage? He's mentally nuts, but his motor is the craziest thing about him.

Cigaro
12-09-2012, 08:21 PM
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTU3NzA5MjI0Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTEwNzMzMQ@@._ V1._SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg

Anyone else convinced Cam is the real deal? First player with 250 passing, 100 rushing, with 1 rushing and 1 passing TD.

He's leading the league in YPA and he doesn't even have a supporting run game or offensive line! He had 85% of the offenses production. Yea, the completion percentage could be higher but he doesn't make terrible decisions on a regular basis either. When he gets time to throw, I expect good plays. His timely runs are changing the offense but he's a pocket passer through and through. Get the man an offensive line and a committed run game so we don't need those 3rd & 11 heroics.

Oh, Keuchly had 16 tackles. I guess that's pretty good. Give him a stud DT to play behind and he'll be a perennial pro bowler. Seeing TD get the pick was great too.

Oh, and Greg Hardy is the most improved player on the team. DE, DT and punt coverage? He's mentally nuts, but his motor is the craziest thing about him.

He's slumped this season, but my confidence in him has yet to diminish. He has a generally bad supporting cast. He's used to successfully carrying a team on his back, and he still tries, but there is simply too much talent in the NFL for that to consistently work. As last year showed, he doesn't need a studly offensive cast to be successful, just enough to where he has some help.

ShutDwn
12-16-2012, 10:36 AM
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/A99OIORCIAE9t_M.jpg

I hope he's channeling some of the 2003 Jake and not so much the 2009 Jake.

bigbluedefense
12-16-2012, 10:46 AM
Greg Hardy! I had the biggest hard on for Greg when he was at Ole Miss. I'm so glad to see him doing well. I can't believe he fell so far in the draft, I wish the Giants stole him.

It's taken him longer than I expected to break out but he's been great this year. So happy to see that.

ShutDwn
12-16-2012, 05:02 PM
Good game overall with some help from the Chargers.

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/5120721/tolbertswag_medium.0_standard_500.0.gif

Cam took a beating and made good decisions overall. The defense played decently well with a lead only surrendered points off a turnover. CJ and Hardy with two sacks each. That makes them the first 10+ duo since Peppers and Rucker. Kudos to them. They're getting it done without an interior help.

Greg Hardy! I had the biggest hard on for Greg when he was at Ole Miss. I'm so glad to see him doing well. I can't believe he fell so far in the draft, I wish the Giants stole him.

It's taken him longer than I expected to break out but he's been great this year. So happy to see that.

Yeah man, you've been a steadfast supporter of him since we drafted him.

He's rounding into a unique player who is certifiably crazy. He's improved against the run and the pass. He plays DE and now he's mixed into DT a lot more than his normal situational looks because of injuries. He also sprints down the field and makes tackles on punt returns.

If you haven't seen the video of him after the Falcons game, you should go look for it. It's hilarious.

ShutDwn
12-18-2012, 10:59 AM
Beef up the interior line and add more secondary talent and this defense is going to be beastly.

Kraken is getting some high praise:

If you asked the average football fan which defensive line has two of the top four 4-3 defensive ends in terms of pass rushing productivity, it might take them a while to come up with the correct answer. Even if you gave them that it was the Panthers it would probably take them even longer to come up with both players’ names. Charles Johnson and Greg Hardy rank second and fourth in pass rushing productivity despite little to none of the fanfare that surrounds the likes of Julius Peppers and Mario Williams. If you read PFF you already know how good Johnson is, but what Hardy is doing is starting to rival his line mate. On Sunday he rushed from an end position 19 times and a tackle position 19 times to total three sacks, four stops and a hurry. Hardy’s versatility and ability to rush the passer as well as stop the run from any of the four down-lineman spots is amazing. He made multiple highlight reel plays on the day, and he really seems to be putting everything together in his third year as a pro.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/12/18/refo-panthers-chargers-week-15/

Cigaro
12-21-2012, 05:40 PM
Beef up the interior line and add more secondary talent and this defense is going to be beastly.

Kraken is getting some high praise:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/12/18/refo-panthers-chargers-week-15/

I absolutely hate when I look at mocks and they have us taking a defensive end in the first round.

ShutDwn
12-21-2012, 11:50 PM
I absolutely hate when I look at mocks and they have us taking a defensive end in the first round.

No need at all. I think Frank Alexander is going to develop just as CJ and Hardy have, probably with more sacks from playing in a decent defense. I think they could be the best three man rush in the league next season if they keep it up. The weakness of the line is stopping the run. The defense has looked a lot better the last two weeks because Cam and the offense put up points quickly and control the ball. I can't forget the yards given up in Philly and KC.

Needs and how I'd address them:

DT - Draft
OT- Draft
TE - Draft (Jared Cook is interesting)
WR - FA (Dwayne Bowe would be perfect)
CB - FA (Quentin Jammer? If Rivera stays, I'd say likely)
FS - FA (Jarius Byrd???)
K - Draft

Obviously we can't sign all of them, but I think I'd put a premium on signing a veteran WR and a CB/S. Draft down the line and get a damn kicker.

If DeAngelo is gone, we have to pick up a scat back. We'll need another speedster to step up. I have no idea what Joe Adams can do. Armanti Edwards has been on the field and done nothing.

ShutDwn
12-23-2012, 06:11 PM
That was ugly. 160 penalty yards combined and tons of bad calls.

Cam was getting mauled, again. The Chargers did it last week and the Raiders did it again. The offensive line allows instant pressure far too often and didn't open holes for runners. Amini dislocated his wrist so the interior of the line went from bad to worse.

Thomas Davis and Keuchly were the players of the game.

Cigaro
12-23-2012, 07:16 PM
At this point, unless the new GM hates him, I think Rivera will get another year. I love winning, but since we're out of the playoff chase moving down the draft order kind of sucks. We're likely out of range for Lotulelei, but Hankins may be available, as well as Matthews or Lewan on the offensive side.

ShutDwn
12-24-2012, 09:42 AM
http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1357197/carsonhit.gif

That doesn't look like spearing. They call it leading with the helmet, but most tackles technically lead with the helmet. Hardy made a pretty good form tackle, imo. He gets him with the shoulder. Palmer was an idiot. The play had already been going on forever. Who the hell thinks they have time to stop, plant and throw with practically every player right behind them?

Oh well. I'm glad this defense didn't stop hitting though. They're definitely hitting harder than I've seen in years. TD and Keuchly let up zero yards after reaching the ball carrier. McFadden couldn't turn the corner on Keuchly or TD which was impressive.

The Raiders admitted (stupidly) to going after Cam because of this play. Cam was lucky he had offsetting penalties (the kick and bump) but I'm sure he can tell when lineman are trying to get a little extra out of each hit.

Cigaro
12-24-2012, 04:57 PM
Yeah that's a fair hit in my book. Hate that this kind of stuff gets called nowadays.

ShutDwn
12-26-2012, 03:13 PM
So we're looking at a draft pick that's probably in the 8-14 range.

What are people's thoughts on prospects or what position we need?

I've heard the trenches are where the talent is so that makes me think we should go that way. I don't think teams will want to trade up. Milliner is an interesting prospect. Watching this years defense it's clear that ability to play bump and run is essential to this defense. Seeing what they did with the pedigree of corners this year makes me think they can wait to address it.

I want to add picks that make our best players better.

I don't want to wait on giving Cam a real offensive line. Cam's been doing pretty well with the receivers they've got. What they need is a run game. Same goes for giving Keuchly a DT that frees him up to make plays. Hardy and CJ would also benefit.

Cigaro
12-26-2012, 09:15 PM
I'd much rather take a defensive tackle than a cornerback. Both are needs, but it is much easier for a defensive line to mask problems in the secondary than it is for the secondary to mask problems on the defensive line. We already have two good pass rushers, if we were to take a defensive tackle they would only look that much better, while also improving the run defense more than a cornerback would.

Offensive tackle is a big need as well, luckily for us there is a good amount of depth there. Right now we're in a position for either Lewan or Matthews if we want them. I actually really like Lewan, and I think he could eventually slide over to replace Gross. Matthews has proven his quality as a right tackle, and some think he could play the left side as well if need be.

Not really sure which way I want to go between those two positions. It'll probably come down to if we add anyone at those spots in free agency, and then who's on the board at our pick come draft day. I do think there is somewhat more depth at offensive tackle than defensive tackle in this draft, so that perhaps may need to dictate who we take with the first pick. But unless we add someone in free agency or there is a very talented player who's slipped down the board that we could use, I hope regardless of which one we pick first we use our first two picks on both tackle needs. I'm leaning more towards defensive tackle at this point, but I could honestly go either way.

Cigaro
12-30-2012, 05:41 PM
Posted this in the coaching change thread, looks like Rivera is staying, and rumors have Beane being the full-time GM. Maybe Beane is some genius and we just don't know it yet, but to fire Hurney midseason, conduct this big search, and then hire Hurney's right-hand man who has no experience with evaluating players or coaches, instead of a candidate with a quality resume like Marc Ross, may be one of the worst moves this franchise could make.

ShutDwn
12-30-2012, 06:02 PM
Posted this in the coaching change thread, looks like Rivera is staying, and rumors have Beane being the full-time GM. Maybe Beane is some genius and we just don't know it yet, but to fire Hurney midseason, conduct this big search, and then hire Hurney's right-hand man who has no experience with evaluating players or coaches, instead of a candidate with a quality resume like Marc Ross, may be one of the worst moves this franchise could make.

All Bean knows is what Hurney has done. Don't want. Bring in Ross.

Rivera will stay after improving by one game. On paper, the defense improved despite being destroyed by injuries. They've been #4 in defense since Keek moved inside. The offense wasn't as productive but I think this year's Newton was much improved and stayed alive behind that offensive line.

Draft down the lines this coming year and then we can go bonkers on skill positions for the next few years.

Cigaro
01-01-2013, 06:26 PM
As I said in the coaching change thread, the Panthers have requested interviews for the Giants' Ross and Gettleman.

ShutDwn
01-07-2013, 02:39 PM
Rivera stays and it's without the new GM's input... Solid decision by JR, again...

After watching RGIII go down I keep thinking about what could've been on that Saints hit, which was actually pretty unnecessary.

Cam was actually hit on a higher percentage of this plays than anyone in the league. It's great that he is built to last, but he can't top that stat again. That offensive line probably would've broken sack records if Newton couldn't scramble.

1. Build an offensive line that can protect
2. Hand off to your stable of runningbacks

Somehow, the second part seems like it's going to be the most difficult for this team.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-09-2013, 04:26 PM
Was Accorsi helping you guys in this GM search?

JPF
01-09-2013, 08:39 PM
Was Accorsi helping you guys in this GM search?

He pretty much ran it

ShutDwn
01-11-2013, 12:38 PM
He pretty much ran it

I just wish we had a GM to help decide whether to keep Ronald.

How do we replace Chud? I'm not sure how hard it will be. On one hand, I won't miss his inability to hand it off normally. On the other, he did come up with really inventive plays that came in handy. He's a double edge sword.

Cigaro
02-05-2013, 11:28 AM
I think I should give up looking into the mock draft section. It seems absolutely no one is aware that needing a defensive tackle does not equate to needing just any defensive tackle. I'm guessing they do the minimum of research, see people mocking us a defensive tackle, and then just give us their highest rated prospect at the position, without actually considering what type of defensive tackle we need, i.e. a nose tackle.

That being said, not entirely closed off to going another direction in the first. Warmack or Patterson are guys I would accept.

ShutDwn
02-05-2013, 02:53 PM
I think I should give up looking into the mock draft section. It seems absolutely no one is aware that needing a defensive tackle does not equate to needing just any defensive tackle. I'm guessing they do the minimum of research, see people mocking us a defensive tackle, and then just give us their highest rated prospect at the position, without actually considering what type of defensive tackle we need, i.e. a nose tackle.

That being said, not entirely closed off to going another direction in the first. Warmack or Patterson are guys I would accept.

Not even going to bother with mocks for a while. So much will change in the rankings. As long as it's a lineman I'm happy. I really wish we could add a WR/TE/CB/S but I think we gotta wait on that.

http://i.minus.com/is9wVyJkS9Adi.gif

Also, congrats to uncle Luke for the award.

Cigaro
02-10-2013, 11:53 AM
I'm beginning to really lean towards taking either Patterson or Warmack, and if they're gone, then trading back. I just think those two players are of an elite caliber, and would help Cam out greatly. Take one of them, and then take someone like Brandon Williams in the second.

If they're gone, trade back. I think we can go back into the early 20s and still get a nose tackle, while also picking up hopefully what would be a second second round pick.

Also, sources are indicating that Gamble is expected to be let go.

Iamcanadian
02-13-2013, 04:01 PM
I'm beginning to really lean towards taking either Patterson or Warmack, and if they're gone, then trading back. I just think those two players are of an elite caliber, and would help Cam out greatly. Take one of them, and then take someone like Brandon Williams in the second.

If they're gone, trade back. I think we can go back into the early 20s and still get a nose tackle, while also picking up hopefully what would be a second second round pick.

Also, sources are indicating that Gamble is expected to be let go.

Patterson carries a lot of risk with him, he is a body catcher on almost every play and few of these types usually succeed at the next level. He has every thing else you look for in a receiver but he will need a lot of work on catching the ball with his hands.

Cigaro
02-16-2013, 01:11 AM
Patterson carries a lot of risk with him, he is a body catcher on almost every play and few of these types usually succeed at the next level. He has every thing else you look for in a receiver but he will need a lot of work on catching the ball with his hands.

Admittedly yes, he does body catch a lot. But I've also seen him extend and grab some pretty good catches. Cam Newton is better suited with big receivers, Patterson gives us that, plus the athleticism.

ShutDwn
02-20-2013, 02:46 PM
I don't know anything about Patterson beyond highlights. The talent is there but this FO has to continue to focus on work ethic and character that can help maximize talent/potential.

Having a receiver with that kind of YAC ability is amazing though. Just look at what he did with 25 carries (200 yards, 3 TDs).

Seems like he is raw in terms of craftsmanship like route running and using his hands. I think those types of risks are lesser when you have more leadership to build those qualities. I'd like the combination of Smith-LaFell-Patterson so long as we can protect Newton.

Cigaro
03-14-2013, 09:42 AM
The Panthers worked out QB Ryan Nassib...

ShutDwn
03-14-2013, 09:18 PM
Gamble was cut and then retired.

Barnidge went to the Browns.

They cut James Anderson despite saving very little money and losing depth while Beason and TD are still question marks. Jason Phillips left too.

They signed Drayton Florence... Yeah, not impressive.

Offered Dwan Edwards a 1 year contract... He's probably insulted now.

Re-signed Anderson so we know we have a backup still... YOURE ON FIRE GETTLEMAN!

But this is honestly the fault of Hurney and Richardson. Can't really blame him for our cap issues.

Possible bargains but I'm doubting everything:

Michael Huff
Antoine Winfield - would've been better than Florence
Darrius Heyward-bey - we already got Murphy so why not

The draft is our only hope. Fingers crossed we have a third straight ROY.

ShutDwn
03-19-2013, 02:15 PM
Panther boards are blowing up about Tavon Austin...

please. god. no...

We can't afford to blow a pick on some video game receiver. Every comparison is "Percy Harvin & *insert mid-round small WR* "

Sorry, I don't buy even the Harvin comparison. Harvin is bigger and more physical. Austin can't break arm tackles in college. He won't run around people in the NFL. Wide-side of the field is gone.

He doesn't even average 12 ypc in a wide open conference.

Oh, but he's a threat to run the ball!!!! Uhuh, because we didn't have enough of those.

Can we just get a WR that isn't half a foot smaller than our QB? Jeez. You'd think all those overthrows would make us want someone who could go up and save some.

I'd only take him in the second like T.Y. Hilton. I'll take my chances and see how Joe Adams progresses.

stlouisfan37
03-21-2013, 01:09 PM
Panther boards are blowing up about Tavon Austin...

please. god. no...

We can't afford to blow a pick on some video game receiver. Every comparison is "Percy Harvin & *insert mid-round small WR* "

Sorry, I don't buy even the Harvin comparison. Harvin is bigger and more physical. Austin can't break arm tackles in college. He won't run around people in the NFL. Wide-side of the field is gone.

He doesn't even average 12 ypc in a wide open conference.

Oh, but he's a threat to run the ball!!!! Uhuh, because we didn't have enough of those.

Can we just get a WR that isn't half a foot smaller than our QB? Jeez. You'd think all those overthrows would make us want someone who could go up and save some.

I'd only take him in the second like T.Y. Hilton. I'll take my chances and see how Joe Adams progresses.

I hope you are right...because I will be ecstatic to see Austin Fall to the Rams at #16. He is the most explosive, game-ready receiver in this draft. He will make an immediate impact wherever he goes. He has great hands, runs excellent routes, and his speed and quickness will demand respect from defenses. This will open things up for receivers on the outside. He is also a dynamic returner who will give his team an immediate boost in the field position game. There are few players that can score at any given time from anywhere on the field, and he is one of them.

ShutDwn
03-21-2013, 03:04 PM
I hope you are right...because I will be ecstatic to see Austin Fall to the Rams at #16. He is the most explosive, game-ready receiver in this draft. He will make an immediate impact wherever he goes. He has great hands, runs excellent routes, and his speed and quickness will demand respect from defenses. This will open things up for receivers on the outside. He is also a dynamic returner who will give his team an immediate boost in the field position game. There are few players that can score at any given time from anywhere on the field, and he is one of them.

That's all nice but he isn't worth a top 20 pick. Too many drawbacks people want to ignore. Size is what makes WRs impossible to cover, not just speed. Speed also doesn't help at all in the redzone. Flacco didn't win a superbowl throwing high passes to tiny receivers.

The Panthers need size and speed not finess players who can't break arm tackles. Watch his highlights, none of the players ever touch him. Makes you wonder what happens when they do.

How come Percy Harvin is the only player people compare him to that was drafted in the first round? Because you can find players like him later on and it's a better risk-reward strategy.

Darren Sproles was nuts in college and he was picked in the 4th. Also, it's crazy that Sproles is 15 lbs heavier than Austin and only 2" shorter.

gpngc
03-21-2013, 03:05 PM
That's all nice but he isn't worth a top 20 pick. Too many drawbacks people want to ignore. Size is what makes WRs impossible to cover, not just speed. Speed also doesn't help at all in the redzone. Flacco didn't win a superbowl throwing high passes to tiny receivers.

The Panthers need size and speed not finess players who can't break arm tackles. Watch his highlights, none of the players ever touch him. Makes you wonder what happens when they do.

How come Percy Harvin is the only player people compare him to that was drafted in the first round? Because you can find players like him later on and it's a better risk-reward strategy.

Darren Sproles was nuts in college and he was picked in the 4th. Also, it's crazy that Sproles is 15 lbs heavier than Austin and only 2" shorter.

.................................................. ..................

stlouisfan37
03-21-2013, 03:29 PM
I do appreciate what you are saying, and he definitely isn't for everyone. But just because he isn't the type of receiver you are looking for doesn't mean he won't be productive or have a successful career.

I just watched a 9 minute video of his 2012 highlights. For starters, the fact that you can compile such a lengthy highlight video of him says a lot. More than that, he is extremely difficult to get a hold of. He shakes loose like very few players I have ever seen. So the fact that he goes down from arm tackles doen't carry nearly as much weight as it would with a running back who would be asked to run between the tackles regularly, in my opinion.

Cigaro
03-21-2013, 03:37 PM
I would take Austin. He's not my first choice, I'd prefer someone of the following first: Star Lotulelei(slight chance he still falls), Chance Warmack, Sheldon Richardson(if Dwan isn't resigned), Xavier Rhodes, Cordarrelle Patterson. But if those guys are gone, taking Austin is something I could deal with. I'd probably prefer even then to trade back, but I do think Austin has a future in the NFL.

My main problem with Austin would be his fit with Cam Newton. He's quite short, and Cam is prone to highballs. With a big receiver like Hopkins it wouldn't be a big deal, but now sure how it would fare for Austin.

Cigaro
03-21-2013, 05:09 PM
I like the Ted Ginn signing. Presumably brought in for his returning ability, where he should provide an immediate upgrade. Armanti Edwards, Pilares and probably Joe Adams have been made redundant by this move, although Adams is unlikely to get cut so soon.

It will be interesting to see him in the offense. I know he was basically frozen out in San Fran, but I think there's still some promise for him. I don't expect much from him beyond a #3 guy, but at that I like his chances. His explosiveness may make Cam Newton pretty happy.

SchizophrenicBatman
03-21-2013, 10:52 PM
The Ted Ginn family!

Cigaro
03-22-2013, 09:15 PM
Dwan is back. Judging from their reported contracts, I already like what I see when it comes to Gettleman and his approach to resigning players. I'd hate to imagine the money Hurney would have tried to dish out to keep them here.

ShutDwn
03-23-2013, 12:26 PM
My last comment on Austin -- My point about people not touching him is that, that will not happen in the NFL like it does college. Nobody who relies completely on making people miss is going to have a consistent career. As a preemtive counter argument let me say that Steve Smith doesn't not do this. Smith's physical style doesn't compare at all.

It's not that Austin isn't a good player, it's that he isn't worth the 14th pick. Every player that compares to Austin is proof of that.

We've resigned Captain and Dwan to one year contracts that have to be pretty favorable to the Panthers. This probably never happens if Hurney is still here. I love that they're both coming back. I'm actually OK with our secondary as it is and we can still draft a CB/FS.

Picking up Ginn is interesting. I don't know what he'll bring at WR but we know he's consistent and the safe player Rivera has been hoping for at PR. He's a combo replacement for Armanti and Gettis. I think we'll have Smith, Lafell, Ginn, a rookie, Adams and Pilares.

Cigaro
04-19-2013, 12:33 PM
Well, by pre-season SOS, we have the hardest schedule next year.

JPF
04-23-2013, 09:27 AM
So sick of mocks with us taking Sheldon Richardson.

Cigaro
04-25-2013, 10:24 AM
So sick of mocks with us taking Sheldon Richardson.

The epitome of mock draft laziness. I'm almost certain those who give him to use have nothing more than see that DT is listed as a major need, and thus given us their highest rated DT, regardless of scheme needs. I'm actually a big fan of Richardson, if Dwan didn't resign I'd be more than fine with taking him, but we have other needs as is. But luckily today we'll hopefully get to see how ignorant everyone was when drafting him for us.

Overall, unlike past years, I don't really have any idea of who we'll go after in the first. I think Austin would be atop our realistic board, but looks like he may be gone before us. If Star falls, I think he's the automatic pick. Even though Sharrif isn't a NT, I could also see him being selected as well. Vaccaro also been heavily rumored to be on our radar.

Cigaro
04-25-2013, 08:59 PM
http://i.imgur.com/nmLZDXR.gif

kBuc5
04-25-2013, 09:36 PM
Nice first round, didn't see Star falling that far.

Cigaro
04-25-2013, 10:06 PM
The fact that we now actually have the key pieces for an elite defensive line (although Dwan will admittedly still need replacing soon) is just so...strange.

ShutDwn
04-26-2013, 10:02 AM
The fact that we now actually have the key pieces for an elite defensive line (although Dwan will admittedly still need replacing soon) is just so...strange.

Well, Hardy stepped up, we found Dwan in a stock heap and caught a falling Star (zing!!!)

Can't wait to see the LBs behind this line. So long, Fua!!!

I wonder what we do in the 2nd. I highly doubt Cyprien is there. I think it's WR/CB/S

Don Vito
04-26-2013, 10:03 AM
Star was such a great pickup for you guys. Can't wait to see Hardy dominate this year, your front 7 is going to be so damn stacked.

Cigaro
04-26-2013, 11:15 AM
Well, Hardy stepped up, we found Dwan in a stock heap and caught a falling Star (zing!!!)

Can't wait to see the LBs behind this line. So long, Fua!!!

I wonder what we do in the 2nd. I highly doubt Cyprien is there. I think it's WR/CB/S

The 2nd is stacked perfectly for us. Warford, Allen, Hunter, Woods, Patton, Jamar Taylor, Poyer, Cyprien, Swearinger are all potential plays. Not going to get to watch the draft tonight, but my preference would be one of Allen, Hunter or Cyprien, with Allen being the most likely pick IMO.

Cigaro
04-27-2013, 03:55 PM
I have no idea what the **** we are doing.

villagewarrior
04-29-2013, 06:48 AM
I love what the Panthers did. Star and Short give them an A in my book right off the bat. Not many picks, but Klein and Barner are steals that late and Kugbila is real intriguing. I'd be very excited if I were a Panthers fan.

A.

ShutDwn
04-29-2013, 10:54 AM
I love what the Panthers did. Star and Short give them an A in my book right off the bat. Not many picks, but Klein and Barner are steals that late and Kugbila is real intriguing. I'd be very excited if I were a Panthers fan.

A.

I thought overall it was good for the future of the team.

The fans have a problem with it because they didn't address WR/CB/S. In reality the only chance they had to do that was in the second round. Star was as much of a steal as you could get in the first round. I didn't think the CB/S class was good in the second I like Short.

We had Dwan Edwards on a 1-year deal at DT and NOBODY else. Even after drafting Star, we would have another hole at DT next year. I'll have to see them, but Star/Short seem to be good compliments. They've established a beastly interior of the defense set for the next four years. Frank Alexander is essentially our 3rd rounder this year and if he plays well he could make it easier if Hardy demands too much.

I can't act like I know anything about the OG but I'll trust Gettleman on this one. I really liked the Barner pick. I doubt Pilares sticks around and Armanti is gone.

Sorry Panther fans, it's gonna be another year till we draft a WR/CB/S high. Even then, I bet we go OT. LOL

JPF
04-29-2013, 11:55 AM
Nitpicking here but Dwan's deal was a two year deal, not a one year deal. But the point remains valid that we needed more DT's than just Star in the first.

Honestly looking at what we have right now, and considering that Bell is a RFA next off-season and that Gross can void the final three years of his contract next off-season, I fully expect an OT early next year.

As for this draft, the Guard kind of jumps out but I can't say I really know a lot of him. But taking him while Barrett Jones was still on the board has me interested in watching to see what they saw in him to make them pick him over Jones.

Barner, well, I expected an RB at some point in the draft honestly. DeAngelo or Stewart one won't be in Charlotte next season given the cap situation. I'd imagine it would be DeAngelo that's let go.

ETA- It also feels damn good just to come out of a draft still owning all our picks in the next years draft (except our 7th rounder)!

Don Vito
06-11-2013, 01:13 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9366363/greg-hardy-carolina-panthers-sets-lofty-goal-50-sacks

You lucky SOB's

Cigaro
07-26-2013, 10:16 PM
So Jon Beason took a $4.25M pay cut, bringing us to almost $13M under the cap for this year. The remaining years of his contract are so far untouched, but that's a remarkably unselfish move. Got to respect the guy for that.

ShutDwn
08-23-2013, 08:24 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/3096273/kuechlydestroyerofworlds_medium.gif

O-M-G

I'm so sad I missed this performance.

Each of the front 7 players are good by themselves but wow. Seeing Star's effect on Keek is insane.

PLEASE GET THE SAME HELP FOR CAM NEWTON. It's year three and they've ignored the entire offense since he got here.

Cigaro
08-23-2013, 08:44 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/3096273/kuechlydestroyerofworlds_medium.gif

O-M-G

I'm so sad I missed this performance.

Each of the front 7 players are good by themselves but wow. Seeing Star's effect on Keek is insane.

PLEASE GET THE SAME HELP FOR CAM NEWTON. It's year three and they've ignored the entire offense since he got here.

Star's first two games were much more hit or miss, but he really showed what he's possible. With a little experience under their belt, him and Short have locked down the middle for years to come, and like you said, that's going to make Kuechly only that much better. I was also impressed with Colin Cole, could provide good depth.

Our offensive line though...

Cigaro
09-15-2013, 09:30 PM
http://i.imgur.com/OorOqAg.gif

Rivera has to go.

Cigaro
10-06-2013, 06:45 PM
Obviously there's nothing official, but reports say that we've begin searching for our next coach. Please, please, please don't **** this up.

ShutDwn
10-14-2013, 09:00 AM
Guys, Cam Newton is the biggest problem on this team. He's holding us back. They've built an incredibly talented offense around him. Used all those draft pics on stud offensive lineman and a big receiver to match his skill set. let's bench him.

Seriously though, at least we can smash terrible teams?

I'm loving Ginn, especially considering how great Tavon Austin has been..

Best blocking from our WRs in years:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/br-cdn/temp_images/2013/10/13/BrandonLafell79TD.gif

That defense though...

gpngc
11-09-2013, 07:16 PM
A little help tomorrow?

Matthew Jones
12-01-2013, 01:41 PM
Cam Newton sig for anyone who wants one:

http://gyazo.com/82e223cd7547baae271b0da526025011.png

Cigaro
12-01-2013, 10:20 PM
Cam Newton sig for anyone who wants one:

http://gyazo.com/82e223cd7547baae271b0da526025011.png

I'll take it.

ShutDwn
12-03-2013, 11:16 AM
http://i.minus.com/isl82xuSLFAIr.gif

Ted Ginn has a good amount of the top plays this year and definitely the play of the year so far. He's still leaving some on the field but damn, he was a sensational pick up. He just works with Cam. Just like Mike Mitchell.

On defense you've got rookies like Star, Short, Klein and White making plays and at least holding their own. It says a lot when you lose your best DE and still hold a team to 6 points.

On offense, we have a scrappy offensive line that might not be great at paving the way but at least they can protect some.

The most telling statistic of Cam as a passer is the breakdown of his receivers receptions, yards and TDs.

Well, we've got a hell of a game coming up. The Saints are going to be even more fired up for this after MNF.

Cam's got to keep cool like he has been and keep us in the game till the end.

Cigaro
12-22-2013, 03:37 PM
http://images.rapgenius.com/ejeb80d93iq1p2e0yxwzj1ksi.500x281x14.gif

JustJoe2k5
12-26-2013, 07:57 PM
It's nice to look at an 11-4 record and still see room for improvement.

I'll go ahead and say the Panthers' front seven on defense is the best in the NFL, and no one can convince me otherwise. That secondary, however, might as well not even be on the field. I'd like to see an overhaul back there in the offseason, both through the draft and free agency.

On the offensive side, I still wouldn't mind a change at OC. I look at the names on offense (Newton, Williams, Stewart, Tolbert, Olsen, Smith, LaFell and Ginn) and there isn't any reason this team shouldn't be just as dynamic as a team like the Eagles. The team currently sits at 19th in terms of points-scored, nestled between the Titans and the Rams. I think they can do MUCH better than that.

In looking towards the draft, is this finally the year the Panthers grab that first-round WR people have projected they would draft since Muhammad left the first time?

Cigaro
12-28-2013, 07:07 PM
It's nice to look at an 11-4 record and still see room for improvement.

I'll go ahead and say the Panthers' front seven on defense is the best in the NFL, and no one can convince me otherwise. That secondary, however, might as well not even be on the field. I'd like to see an overhaul back there in the offseason, both through the draft and free agency.

On the offensive side, I still wouldn't mind a change at OC. I look at the names on offense (Newton, Williams, Stewart, Tolbert, Olsen, Smith, LaFell and Ginn) and there isn't any reason this team shouldn't be just as dynamic as a team like the Eagles. The team currently sits at 19th in terms of points-scored, nestled between the Titans and the Rams. I think they can do MUCH better than that.

In looking towards the draft, is this finally the year the Panthers grab that first-round WR people have projected they would draft since Muhammad left the first time?

While I do agree that the offense could improve, I do think Shula's done a good job at understanding the offense's role within our team; keep the ball safe and the clock moving, and let our defense do its job. While it wouldn't hurt, we really don't need to be a high-flying offense with the defense that we have.

Regarding our draft pick, I do think this is the year. I think we are finally seeing age catching up to Smitty, and while I like LaFell as a number two, he can't be the long-term option as our primary receiver. The dominance of the front seven helps mask deficiencies in the rear, and our patchwork line has played relatively well, plus we'll getting a couple of players there back (Silatolu, Kugbila), so receiver should be our number one need heading into the off-season.

JustJoe2k5
01-23-2014, 07:47 PM
Looking ahead to the draft, who are some of the WRs that have caught your eye?

Both Allen Robinson and Brandin Cooks have supplanted Kelvin Benjamin as my personal favorites. A lot to like about the size and catching ability of Robinson, as well as the speed and elusiveness of Cooks. I've seen Robinson compared to Boldin, and Cooks compared to our very own Smitty. Can't go wrong by adding either one, in my opinion.

A few later-round prospects that got my attention are Donte Moncrief, Josh Huff, Robert Herron, Jalen Saunders, Josh Stewart and Tevin Reese. Moncrief may be my favorite of this pack, due to the size and speed combination. The rest are smaller, speed guys once again in the mold of Smith. I'll be interested to see their 40-times coming out of the Combine as I believe that will have a drastic impact on where they are expected to go.

With Gross' future a question mark and the questionable secondary being exploited in the playoffs, I also wouldn't be shocked to see the Panthers wait on WR and address OT and CB in the first round or two. I think this is a solid enough class that if one of the top OTs or CBs drops, you can afford to nab him and pick up a quality WR in the second.

Either way, I'm as pumped for this offseason as I have ever been. Really looking forward to what Gettleman does to shape this roster. Both in free agency and definitely through the draft. Should be a fun couple of months.

ShutDwn
02-06-2014, 08:17 AM
Definitely a great year regardless of going one and done in the playoffs.

The offensive line and secondary need major improvements and we won't go any further without them.

I don't know much about the prospects this year, other than Sammy Watkins has insane acceleration and won't come to us.

I'd really like to address OL and WR and CB in the first few rounds. Possibly TE, though I know BPA is the best route.

SchizophrenicBatman
03-10-2014, 12:21 AM
Took Cooks at 28 in a fan mock. Also considered Verrett, Kareem Martin (trying to hock Hardy off for more picks) and Odell Beckham. Benjamin was gone before my pick but I don't have any interest in him. His only skill is being tall.

I like Cooks a lot...he's not Smith, nobody is, but he is an extremely dynamic player that can actually play WR, unlike many of the smallish "weapons" of late (Tavon, DeAnthony Thomas, etc). However, I don't think this is ultimately the path Gettleman will go as the WR position is very deep into rounds 2 and 3.

We need 2 new OTs with Gross gone but I don't like anyone who is going to be available barring a massive fall. Would rather see who is there in R2 and 3.

I don't actually want to trade Hardy but I don't see much choice at this point. Hurney's contracts are coming back to haunt us and if we don't bite the bullet here, it means we'll be cutting Smith or have to start getting creative with Cam and Luke...no thanks. I actually think we have some good depth at the second DE spot with Mario Addison and Wes Horton. I have more confidence in Rivera getting something out of those guys on D than us getting Marvin McNutt and Tavarres King to play well on offense.

Best thing we could do this offseason is fire Shula. He's awful. If we go into next season with him as our OC I'm already writing off the season. Can't see this team making it back to the playoffs with the 1st place schedule if we're purposely handicapping our offense.

Ravens1991
03-14-2014, 04:22 PM
How much does Steve smith have left in the tank? Can he be a number 3 slot WR or a full time #2

JustJoe2k5
03-15-2014, 05:23 PM
He certainly has enough left in the tank to be a solid #2 or #3 option, at least for this year. By year three, that may be a question mark. He really came on towards the end of the year and came up big in critical situations in close games. He'll drop an easy one every once in a while, and the burst to make the big play isn't there anymore. For the role he signed to play in Baltimore, you guys should be satisfied.

JustJoe2k5
03-15-2014, 05:25 PM
Happy with the Roman Harper signing. Solid, veteran presence who is familiar with the division and should be able to adapt quickly. That front seven won't make it too hard on him anyway.

Duke
03-16-2014, 10:53 AM
how does the carolina fans perceive their lack of moves and maybe there draft strategies? I can't remember the last time I have seen a team let go there top 4 wrs and lose value at other positions and not really make one fa signing to booster their depleted position. Your coach is definitely considered one of the better around the league. I'm just dumbfounded. Maybe their faith in this wr class is high but how many can they fill these holes with. It takes about two to three years to become a productive nfl receiver so wtf is going on in Carolina!! someone help me understand?

OSUGiants17
03-16-2014, 11:00 AM
So you guys are definitely trading up for Evans or Watkins now, right? Smith, LaFell and Ginn Jr all gone in one offseason leaves Cam with no weapons

JustJoe2k5
03-16-2014, 05:40 PM
A trade up for Watkins would be great, but I don't think it's absolutely necessary. If there was ever a year to need WRs at the draft, this is the year as they could still find solid contributors as late as the fourth or fifth round. I think Gettleman takes a shot at signing Jones and Cotchery, then looks to add two or three through the draft.

Last year, he didn't sign a single free agent until the second week of free agency and that group turned out to be a pretty solid addition to the team. I'm not as worried as some Panthers' fans may be. After the draft, could be a different story, but I'm satisfied to wait and see at this point. The turn around Gettleman was able to orchestrate last offseason has earned him the benefit of the doubt this offseason.

Cigaro
03-16-2014, 06:09 PM
how does the carolina fans perceive their lack of moves and maybe there draft strategies? I can't remember the last time I have seen a team let go there top 4 wrs and lose value at other positions and not really make one fa signing to booster their depleted position. Your coach is definitely considered one of the better around the league. I'm just dumbfounded. Maybe their faith in this wr class is high but how many can they fill these holes with. It takes about two to three years to become a productive nfl receiver so wtf is going on in Carolina!! someone help me understand?

Most are in panic mode, but while I am worried, I still think there's a chance for a decent offseason. The fact is while Smith can play, he's not the player he used to be. LaFell is decent, but that's it. Ginn was a nice deep threat and may actually be the most difficult to replace. If we go out and sign players like James Jones and Jerrico Cotchery and draft a couple of receivers, out corps won't be great, but it won't be worse either.

Duke
03-16-2014, 07:52 PM
Most are in panic mode, but while I am worried, I still think there's a chance for a decent offseason. The fact is while Smith can play, he's not the player he used to be. LaFell is decent, but that's it. Ginn was a nice deep threat and may actually be the most difficult to replace. If we go out and sign players like James Jones and Jerrico Cotchery and draft a couple of receivers, out corps won't be great, but it won't be worse either.

I'm a newton fan and also football analysis. It's has been interesting to see the lack of moves and the amount of loss at that wr position I agree but Jones and Cotchery might be a short bandaid they are no more than situational wrs they will not command double coverage or beat many corners in man coverage. I hope they really can draft some quality guys or move up and get the likes of Evans or even something crazy like Watkins but I'm getting tired of waiting :waiting:

SchizophrenicBatman
03-17-2014, 08:39 PM
We cant trade up like the Falcons did for Julio Jones because we have too many holes

JustJoe2k5
03-21-2014, 03:04 PM
As expected, Gettleman has slowly started to make some very solid moves. Cotchery, Underwood and Cason effectively replace LaFell, Ginn and Munnerlyn. He's also allowed himself a little more freedom at the draft, as WR isn't as much of a first-round need if a top OT or CB falls.

Don Vito
05-13-2014, 01:35 PM
God damn it Greg