PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo Bills Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

art vandelay
01-28-2007, 05:32 PM
With that off season we have 21 players who need to be cut or put on the practice squad. I think you might want to do some pruning.

You don't cut people in a Forum Mock Draft :?

DollarBill3181
01-28-2007, 05:59 PM
MICHAEL TURNER NO LONGER AN OPTION...

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/01/21/end_to_monkey_business/?page=5

(it will cost a team a 1st rounder most likely)

Space Ghost
01-28-2007, 07:09 PM
With that off season we have 21 players who need to be cut or put on the practice squad. I think you might want to do some pruning.

Still, why would you make a 74 man roster?

art vandelay
01-28-2007, 07:16 PM

Still, why would you make a 74 man roster?

Because that is everyone on our team right now...

Leon Sandcastle
01-28-2007, 11:47 PM
If it comes clear during the offseason that we decide to move Crowell to MLB(say we make a play for Briggs in FA, which I think we will and Marv will push hard to get him, if we fail:), I'd love to see Jon Beason in round 2. I think he would excell in a Cover 2 scheme.

Ditto.

fischbowl
01-29-2007, 01:36 PM
Foster and Turner????

Rob S
01-29-2007, 01:41 PM
Foster and Turner????

better than A-Train. And getting foster for trading down from round 4 to round 5 is a major steal imo.

katnip
01-29-2007, 01:52 PM
Personally I'm glad to see that Turner has been tendered at such a high level because I am getting tired of hearing how he could be the Bills Savior at RB. I mean if we could have picked him up in FA thats one thing but he isn't anything that special to make half the Bills population herald him to what they do.

Bills2083
01-29-2007, 02:11 PM
Here's what Rob and I did in the Forum Mock for the Bills. I posted this in the Forum Mock Discussion thread as well...

OFFENSE:
Backfield
QB JP Losman > Kelly Holcomb > Craig Nall
RB Michael Turner > DeShaun Foster > Anthony Thomas > Shaud Williams > Fred Jackson
FB Daimon Shelton
WR1 Lee Evans > Jason Hill > Roscoe Parrish > Andre Davis > George Wilson > Troy Bergeron
WR2 Peerless Price > Josh Reed > Sam Aiken > Chris Denney > Daunta Peterson
TE Robert Royal > Greg Olsen > Brad Cieslak > Kevin Everett > Ryan Neufeld > Matt Murphy

Offensive Line
LT Jason Peters > Walter Stith
LG Jake Scott > Mike Gandy > Tutan Reyes
C Melvin Fowler > Aaron Merz
RG Ben Grubbs > Duke Preston > Chris Villarrial
RT Terrance Pennington > Brad Butler > Randy Hand

DEFENSE:
Defensive Line
RE Chris Kelsay > Ryan Denney > Ryan Neil
NT Kyle Williams > Tim Anderson
UT Larry Tripplett > John McCargo > Jason Jefferson
LE Aaron Schobel > Anthony Hargrove > Eric Powell

Linebackers
SLB Patrick Willis > Mario Haggan > Roy Manning > Josh Stamer > Kevin Harrison
MLB London Fletcher > John DiGorgio
WLB Angelo Crowell > Keith Ellison > Coy Wire

Secondary
LCB Nate Clements > Nick Harper > Kiwaukee Thomas > Jabari Greer
RCB Terrence McGee > Ashton Youboty > Eric Bassey
FS Ko Simpson > Jim Leonhard
SS Donte Whitner > Matt Bowen

SPECIAL TEAMS:
K Rian Lindell
P Brian Moorman > Josh Brazen
LS Mike Scheck
KR Terrence McGee > Roscoe Parrish
PR Roscoe Parrish > Terrence McGee

Red - Indicates acquisition

BOTTOM LINE

I feel that Rob S and I have had a very successful offseason. At first glance, one might say that we lost two big "names" in Willis McGahee and Takeo Spikes. However, this is not the case. McGahee had fathered 3 children from 3 different women and suggested that the Bills move to Canada, so he obviously did not the exhibit high character that Marv Levy demands. Also, Ralph Wilson publically declared the ground game as a "dissapointment" after the season ended so we felt that we needed to upgrade the running back position. We feel that Michael Turner's combination of power and speed is a big upgrade over Willis McGahee and DeShaun Foster's quickness and agility provide a nice change of pace back.

Michael Turner--How do you know he isn't another Lamont Jordan RB, Oakland Raiders, he's done nothing to prove he can be an every down RB in the NFL. Also how did you acquire him???

Takeo Spikes came into last year off an achilles injury and was very disappointing. He was a liability in coverage at the Tampa-2 WLB and was actually replaced by 6th round draft pick Keith Ellison on 3rd downs. Shifting Angelo Crowell to WLB and drafting Patrick Willis to play SLB in our opinion is an upgrade over Spikes.

The scouting report on Willis is that he is a 2 down LBer who has problems in coverage. Can he play SLB in a cover 2??? He may turnout to be an upgrade in about 2-3 years but he's not a Spikes just yet.

Greg Olsen, Jason Hill, Ben Grubbs, Jake Scott and Nick Harper are all guys that we really like as well and are thrilled to add. In Grubbs and Scott we have added 2 new starting guards and in Olsen we have added a TE which we can utilize in 2 TE sets as a reciever to Robert Royal's blocking. Hill is a guy that we are very high on and feel that he is our 2nd WR of the future and slot guy of the present. He is the sure-handed over-the-middle WR we wanted to compliment Lee Evans' speed. Finally, Nick Harper is a CB who we like because of his experience and success in the Tampa-2 and we feel that he is an excellent nickel corner who came in for great value as well.

Your not going to get Greg Olsen in round 3, he a 2nd rounder at his worst. Jason Hill is nothing special, what makes you think he can be an NFL starter????
How did you acquire Scott and Harper from Indy???

Scott was a 6th, Harper a 5th, Jason Hill is a good pick in Rd.3 as I was contacted by 2 teams who wanted him after our selection. Patrick Willis is a very versatile LBer, and will move back to the middle when Fletcher moves on. And imo, a RB tandem of Turner/Foster is much better than Willis/Thomas. We gave a 2nd for Turner, but got a higher one back for Willis.

The Bills traded their 5th for Hargrove

Rob S
01-29-2007, 02:24 PM
Here's what Rob and I did in the Forum Mock for the Bills. I posted this in the Forum Mock Discussion thread as well...

OFFENSE:
Backfield
QB JP Losman > Kelly Holcomb > Craig Nall
RB Michael Turner > DeShaun Foster > Anthony Thomas > Shaud Williams > Fred Jackson
FB Daimon Shelton
WR1 Lee Evans > Jason Hill > Roscoe Parrish > Andre Davis > George Wilson > Troy Bergeron
WR2 Peerless Price > Josh Reed > Sam Aiken > Chris Denney > Daunta Peterson
TE Robert Royal > Greg Olsen > Brad Cieslak > Kevin Everett > Ryan Neufeld > Matt Murphy

Offensive Line
LT Jason Peters > Walter Stith
LG Jake Scott > Mike Gandy > Tutan Reyes
C Melvin Fowler > Aaron Merz
RG Ben Grubbs > Duke Preston > Chris Villarrial
RT Terrance Pennington > Brad Butler > Randy Hand

DEFENSE:
Defensive Line
RE Chris Kelsay > Ryan Denney > Ryan Neil
NT Kyle Williams > Tim Anderson
UT Larry Tripplett > John McCargo > Jason Jefferson
LE Aaron Schobel > Anthony Hargrove > Eric Powell

Linebackers
SLB Patrick Willis > Mario Haggan > Roy Manning > Josh Stamer > Kevin Harrison
MLB London Fletcher > John DiGorgio
WLB Angelo Crowell > Keith Ellison > Coy Wire

Secondary
LCB Nate Clements > Nick Harper > Kiwaukee Thomas > Jabari Greer
RCB Terrence McGee > Ashton Youboty > Eric Bassey
FS Ko Simpson > Jim Leonhard
SS Donte Whitner > Matt Bowen

SPECIAL TEAMS:
K Rian Lindell
P Brian Moorman > Josh Brazen
LS Mike Scheck
KR Terrence McGee > Roscoe Parrish
PR Roscoe Parrish > Terrence McGee

Red - Indicates acquisition

BOTTOM LINE

I feel that Rob S and I have had a very successful offseason. At first glance, one might say that we lost two big "names" in Willis McGahee and Takeo Spikes. However, this is not the case. McGahee had fathered 3 children from 3 different women and suggested that the Bills move to Canada, so he obviously did not the exhibit high character that Marv Levy demands. Also, Ralph Wilson publically declared the ground game as a "dissapointment" after the season ended so we felt that we needed to upgrade the running back position. We feel that Michael Turner's combination of power and speed is a big upgrade over Willis McGahee and DeShaun Foster's quickness and agility provide a nice change of pace back.

Michael Turner--How do you know he isn't another Lamont Jordan RB, Oakland Raiders, he's done nothing to prove he can be an every down RB in the NFL. Also how did you acquire him???

Takeo Spikes came into last year off an achilles injury and was very disappointing. He was a liability in coverage at the Tampa-2 WLB and was actually replaced by 6th round draft pick Keith Ellison on 3rd downs. Shifting Angelo Crowell to WLB and drafting Patrick Willis to play SLB in our opinion is an upgrade over Spikes.

The scouting report on Willis is that he is a 2 down LBer who has problems in coverage. Can he play SLB in a cover 2??? He may turnout to be an upgrade in about 2-3 years but he's not a Spikes just yet.

Greg Olsen, Jason Hill, Ben Grubbs, Jake Scott and Nick Harper are all guys that we really like as well and are thrilled to add. In Grubbs and Scott we have added 2 new starting guards and in Olsen we have added a TE which we can utilize in 2 TE sets as a reciever to Robert Royal's blocking. Hill is a guy that we are very high on and feel that he is our 2nd WR of the future and slot guy of the present. He is the sure-handed over-the-middle WR we wanted to compliment Lee Evans' speed. Finally, Nick Harper is a CB who we like because of his experience and success in the Tampa-2 and we feel that he is an excellent nickel corner who came in for great value as well.

Your not going to get Greg Olsen in round 3, he a 2nd rounder at his worst. Jason Hill is nothing special, what makes you think he can be an NFL starter????
How did you acquire Scott and Harper from Indy???

Scott was a 6th, Harper a 5th, Jason Hill is a good pick in Rd.3 as I was contacted by 2 teams who wanted him after our selection. Patrick Willis is a very versatile LBer, and will move back to the middle when Fletcher moves on. And imo, a RB tandem of Turner/Foster is much better than Willis/Thomas. We gave a 2nd for Turner, but got a higher one back for Willis.

The Bills traded their 5th for Hargrove

we traded down from the 4th and pick up foster.

Space Ghost
01-30-2007, 02:33 PM
Weeeelll... I'm bored and the thread is at the bottom of the page, so here are the people I want in the draft in order, I don't really care if they will be off the board, but here it is, top 20.

1. Calvin Johnson
2. Alan Branch
3. Gaines Adams
4. Jamaal Anderson
5. Adrian Peterson
6. Amobi Okoye
7. Patrick Willis
8. Lawrence Timmons
9. Paul Posluszny
10. Marshawn Lynch
11. Jon Beason
12. Victor Abiamiri
13. Charles Johnson
14. Quentin Moses
15. Leon Hall
16. Dwayne Jarrett
17. Daymeion Hughes
18. Ben Grubbs
19. Dwayne Bowe
20. Aaron Sears

katnip
01-30-2007, 06:09 PM
1. Calvin Johnson
2. Adrian Peterson
3. Alan Branch
4. Amobi Okoye
5. Gaines Adams
6. Patrick Willis
7. Lawrence Timmons
8. Jamaal Anderson
9. Paul Posluszny
10. Dwayne Jarrett

Off the top of my head my preferred Top 10.

SuperMcGee
01-30-2007, 07:04 PM
1. Calvin Johnson
2. Adrian Peterson
3. Alan Branch
4. Amobi Okoye
5. Gaines Adams
6. Patrick Willis
7. Lawrence Timmons
8. Jamaal Anderson
9. Paul Posluszny
10. Dwayne Jarrett

Off the top of my head my preferred Top 10.

I like that list. I might jumble that bunch of DE and LB, but I like it

Leon Sandcastle
01-30-2007, 07:05 PM
What are your guys thoughts on Brandon Jackson out of Nebraska?

fischbowl
01-30-2007, 07:42 PM
Since the McGahee allegations are true id go for someone better but JAckson is a good backup.

KJ4140
01-30-2007, 10:39 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing management make a play for AD if he falls down to around 6 or 7, before the Texans pick. Try and unload McGahee with the first rounder for a higher first rounder (as it has been suggested before on here) and get AD. Other than him, I'm not really high on any of the other running backs in the class. Maybe Lynch I guess.

My big board would have to be:
1. Adrian Peterson
2. Calvin Johnson
3. ALan Branch
4. Joe Thomas
5. Gaines Adams
6. Patrick Willis
7. Amobi Okoye
8. Jamaal Anderson
9. Marshawn Lynch
10. Dwayne Bowe
11. Leon Hall
12. Ben Grubbs
13. Chris Houston
14. Ryan Kalil
15. Dwayne Jarrett

SuperMcGee
01-30-2007, 11:06 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing management make a play for AD if he falls down to around 6 or 7, before the Texans pick. Try and unload McGahee with the first rounder for a higher first rounder (as it has been suggested before on here) and get AD. Other than him, I'm not really high on any of the other running backs in the class. Maybe Lynch I guess.

My big board would have to be:
1. Adrian Peterson
2. Calvin Johnson
3. ALan Branch
4. Joe Thomas
5. Gaines Adams
6. Patrick Willis
7. Amobi Okoye
8. Jamaal Anderson
9. Marshawn Lynch
10. Dwayne Bowe
11. Leon Hall
12. Ben Grubbs
13. Chris Houston
14. Ryan Kalil
15. Dwayne Jarrett

Willis #6 but then no mention at all of a guy like Timmons or Posluszny or Beason? Willis is the best yeah, but if not him then I wouldn't be upset at one of those other LB. I'd have all 3 ahead of guys like Houston and Kalil

essential
01-30-2007, 11:31 PM

someone on the bills boards thought we could get a first for mcgahee and a sixth, but i agree with you KJ, willis and our first could get us peterson, here was my response, and i don't think it's too far fetched:

mcgahee will NOT get us a first rounder unless it's with our first rounder to trade up. mcgahee with a second day pick will not get us a first, at best maybe mcgahee and a second rouder could get us a late first rounder. if we make a trade for a running back, we should wait to see if adrian peterson falls past the browns at three, if he does he'll last till eight, barring a trade up. in that case, i would give mcgahee and our first, for the number eight, to get peterson.

also, the texans might not take peterson, because kubiak is from that denver zone system, and RBs are not supposed to be as important, so he may opt to go somewhere else. with no trade ups, it's not likely, but it's not impossible for peterson to fall to twelve, but i think if he makes it past eight, teams like green bay or the giants will try and trade up for him.

what do you guys think?

Bills2083
01-31-2007, 02:35 PM
Bills get new jumbotron...

http://buffalonews.com/editorial/20070131/1059086.asp

[/url]

glazeduck
01-31-2007, 03:11 PM
I think we would really benefit by trading down into the 20s and picking up another 2nd and 3rd or 4th rounder.

The list of realistic players that we might be looking at in these first few rounds involves...

OGs - most likely Blalock, Brown (?), Grubbs, Beekman, Ramirez, maybe Datish
LBs- Willis, maybe Davis and about 4 OLBs
WRs- Big possession types, Jarrett, Bowe, Rice, Meachem (meh)
CBs- McCaulley, Houston, Hughes...long long list
RBs- Unless Lynch just blows us away, no one is really worth taking in the first, would love to have Bush w/ a late 2nd or early 3rd.
DT- no real NT talent worthy of an early pick in this draft.

Peripheral needs... TE? FB? NT? DE? ATH.

Point is, it's doubtful that many, if any of these guys get taken before the 20s. OG, CB can be addressed later in the draft due to decent depth.

From 12, we could trade into the 23ish area and pick up (according to the draft pick value chart) an extra 2nd AND 3rd rd pick.

1. BEST AVAILABLE WR - Jarrett, Bowe, Rice...at least one will be there
2a. Jon Beason - 10th pick in the 2nd round...hopefully he's there, he could be great
2b. Chris Houston - he and Hughes are my 1a and 1b choices for cb. I see houston being a great corner for a long time.
3a. Mike Bush...Just have a feeling his injury and other players performance will drop him into the 3rd. Big steal if he does.
3b. Beekman/Ramirez (BEST AVAILABLE OG)
4. options at 4 include...
-BEST AVAILABLE PASS RUSH END- draft is actually looking pretty deep w/ pressure-speed ends, good spot to pick one up and groom.
-Biggest NT available
-TE
-Le'Ron McClain

OTcoach
01-31-2007, 04:18 PM
Does anyone know the status of Villarrial?

I know we havent' gotten much out of him with injuries and such is he gone for good?

katnip
01-31-2007, 04:38 PM
At this point I don't really think you can expect him to play all season. He has the old man injury syndrome and unfortunately its about time to find his replacement, which is why I love Grubbs/Beekman/Blaylock in the 2nd Round at RG while keeping Gandy at LG if we don't go for a LG in FA if possible (Steinbach anyone?).

Rob S
01-31-2007, 04:56 PM
Does anyone know the status of Villarrial?

I know we havent' gotten much out of him with injuries and such is he gone for good?

He can't be counted on.........officially a FA bust.

DollarBill3181
01-31-2007, 06:15 PM
Looking more and more like we can trade down for a good LB, or OL (or CB if we dont resign Nate) and pick up a 2nd or at least a 3rd rounder (possibly making Willis expendable).

Of the positions we need (in no order, and depending on resignins & free agency) - LB, OG, CB, WR look to be what we'd take in rd.1 and the only player that has value at #12 is D.Jarrett.

I'm not even saying to take him there...
if he's there cool take him...
if hes not trade down...
if hes there and we dont want to get a WR too high (tho i think id be a mistake passing on DJ) fine, trade down.

*DT a need to an extent, but I cant see us drafting DT rd/1 after getting McCargo rd1 and signing Tripplett, we still need one but idk bout rd1.

I'm really thinking we can get teh guys us Bills fans have oin our BigBoards lower in the first round, not even too low at teh end, maybe trade with some1 who needs a RB so they can pick up Lynch, or give em Willis - or a team that needs a QB or someone they've been eying.

I'm really thinking trade down is the best option (even more than DJ, and thats sayin alot for me lol) cause we can getta decent #2 somewhere in FA or later in the draft and picking up extra picks higher in day 1 would REALLY help.

OTcoach
01-31-2007, 09:24 PM
It looks like Carolina may be trying to trade Kris Jenkins. What if McGahee and McCargo were packaged for Jenkins, Foster and a 2nd or 3rd rd pick.

He'd help us with our run D and we could bring in K. Williams on passing downs.

katnip
01-31-2007, 09:34 PM
It looks like Carolina may be trying to trade Kris Jenkins. What if McGahee and McCargo were packaged for Jenkins, Foster and a 2nd or 3rd rd pick.

He'd help us with our run D and we could bring in K. Williams on passing downs.LOL

Sorry no way in hell do we get such a trade looking like

McGahee - Won't want to deal with him in a contract year.
McCargo - Unproven and Considered a Reach at the time.

for

Kris Jenkins - One of the best DTs in the league, albeit marred by injuries lately.
Foster - Essentially McGahee's value really.
2nd/3rd Round Pick

Hell we couldn't even get Jenkins for McGahee and McCargo let alone pick up Foster and a Day one Draft Pick!

Iamcanadian
02-01-2007, 04:56 AM

He'd help us with our run D and we could bring in K. Williams on passing downs.LOL

Sorry no way in hell do we get such a trade looking like

McGahee - Won't want to deal with him in a contract year.
McCargo - Unproven and Considered a Reach at the time.

for

Kris Jenkins - One of the best DTs in the league, albeit marred by injuries lately.
Foster - Essentially McGahee's value really.
2nd/3rd Round Pick

Hell we couldn't even get Jenkins for McGahee and McCargo let alone pick up Foster and a Day one Draft Pick!

Carolina would be overjoyed to trade 2 guys who are injured every year and whose careers are close to over for McGahee and McCargo. They do that trade in a minute and we'd have another long run in the celler with Jenkins and Foster on IR every year.

OTcoach
02-01-2007, 07:29 AM
I feel Buffalo must trade one of their DT's. Williams is a steal with his $$, Triplett has to be retained to show "good faith" for other free agents. Therefore McCargo should be moved.

Carolina has Maake Kemoeatu who just turned 28 weighs 350 and had a decent year. No sacks but he stuffs the run. and...he's cheap. D. Lewis is still productive and offers a pass rush from inside. Jenkins is overpaid for what they've gotten out of him recently but I think if we used him right he could be a 2 down player and bring some much needed bulk.

From what I saw in Carolina this yr Foster just isn't the type of back to succeed in their system. McGahee would be excellent as he runs more like Davis than anyone they have. He would be a risk, but why not? They have D.Williams waiting in the wings if he decides to bolt next yr. (which I don't think he'd do if he was successful). And McCargo (who is going to be good) to groom on the inside.

Rob S
02-01-2007, 10:07 AM
None of the 3 big DT will be moved, it doesnt make business sense. Kyle Williams is being paid practically zip, so he is staying. McCargo was just a 1st rounder last year. If you pick someone in the 1st round you dont dump them after one year. It's just not going to happen. Tripplett is the best possibility, but even that has almost no chance of happening. He has a pretty hefty contract and cutting your best FA signing from LAST year is an awful move. Who is going to come to Buffalo now? Most players hate the city as it is, if they think they may be treated unfairly (in their opinion), why should they come). One thing is for sure, Timmy A will be gone.

Space Ghost
02-01-2007, 11:43 AM
What do you guys think about drafting a tight end early. If Zach Miller or Greg Olsen are available at the 44th overall pick do you think we would pick one of them up? Which one would you guys prefer and why? I was just wondering if you guys would pick either of them up if they were available in the second round.

glazeduck
02-01-2007, 02:14 PM
first of all, we have the 42nd pick in the 2nd, not 44th...semantics.

secondly, I'd have to say that alot of it depends on what we do in free agency. I look at TE as a peripheral need, ie. not a glaring one, but if we're able to patch up the rest of the holes I'm ok with it. I'd prefer a guy like Sidney Rice, because i see wr as a greater need (especially a big one), I see him as being more talented than Miller and Olsen, and because I feel the draft depth at TE is pretty deep. The fact that a guy like Joe Newton, Scott Chandler, Ben Patrick or Matt Spaeth could slip to day 2 would suggest that we could get better value for a TE (which again is not a huge need) later in the draft.

That said, as I said earlier, if we do enough in free agency and in the 1st round that TE is a viable option, then I'm definitely good w/ taking the best available...Just don't see it happening. I'd rather have a Chris Houston or a Sidney Rice.

Space Ghost
02-01-2007, 02:31 PM
first of all, we have the 42nd pick in the 2nd, not 44th...semantics.

secondly, I'd have to say that alot of it depends on what we do in free agency. I look at TE as a peripheral need, ie. not a glaring one, but if we're able to patch up the rest of the holes I'm ok with it. I'd prefer a guy like Sidney Rice, because i see wr as a greater need (especially a big one), I see him as being more talented than Miller and Olsen, and because I feel the draft depth at TE is pretty deep. The fact that a guy like Joe Newton, Scott Chandler, Ben Patrick or Matt Spaeth could slip to day 2 would suggest that we could get better value for a TE (which again is not a huge need) later in the draft.

That said, as I said earlier, if we do enough in free agency and in the 1st round that TE is a viable option, then I'm definitely good w/ taking the best available...Just don't see it happening. I'd rather have a Chris Houston or a Sidney Rice.

Ooo... 42nd overall, even nicer :D

Anyways, I don't disagree with you necessarily, but I don't think that this is the right time to go for a receiver. Receiver is our deepest position and while we lack a true number two receiver, sometimes I prefer having a plethora of average receivers and our home run threat in Lee Evans. I would much rather have a better check down at tight-end, and both Miller and Olsen have a higher floor than any receiver we are going to get in the second round and I love me some floor a lot more than ceiling in the earlier rounds, especially when with these two guys they actually have a really high ceiling as well.

I am probably the biggest Sidney Rice fan on this message board, but I do know that he is probably the biggest risk at wide receiver in this draft after Ted Ginn and maybe Paul Williams depending on where he ends up being drafted. Then there is the two ends, one of whom broke many receiving records by one of the leagues better tight ends, Todd Heap and the other comes from a system that produces pro bowl tight ends every few years but didn't have a fantastic season because of brutal quarterback play. Sidney Rice however, even though I love the guy, comes from a system that has produced so many early busts at receiver it is ugly. I don't think that will happen to Rice, but I would rather go with the two ends in this situation. After all, who is a worse starter, Robert Royal or a combo of Josh Reed and Peerless Price? I would take Reed and Price over Royal all day.

SuperMcGee
02-01-2007, 02:37 PM
We actually have the 43rd

SuperMcGee
02-01-2007, 02:41 PM
I feel Buffalo must trade one of their DT's. Williams is a steal with his $$, Triplett has to be retained to show "good faith" for other free agents. Therefore McCargo should be moved.

Carolina has Maake Kemoeatu who just turned 28 weighs 350 and had a decent year. No sacks but he stuffs the run. and...he's cheap. D. Lewis is still productive and offers a pass rush from inside. Jenkins is overpaid for what they've gotten out of him recently but I think if we used him right he could be a 2 down player and bring some much needed bulk.

From what I saw in Carolina this yr Foster just isn't the type of back to succeed in their system. McGahee would be excellent as he runs more like Davis than anyone they have. He would be a risk, but why not? They have D.Williams waiting in the wings if he decides to bolt next yr. (which I don't think he'd do if he was successful). And McCargo (who is going to be good) to groom on the inside.

I fail to see the logic here. Why exactly must we trade McCargo? And why would Carolina want a RB when they have Deangelo??

Space Ghost
02-01-2007, 02:41 PM

Jesus Christ, this is incredible. So is it like this or something:

10. Atlanta
11. San Francisco
12. Buffalo

42. San Francisco
43. Buffalo
44. Atlanta

74. Buffalo
75. Atlanta
76. San Francisco

Then it just cycles through again I am guessing?

Space Ghost
02-01-2007, 02:44 PM

I fail to see the logic here. Why exactly must we trade McCargo? And why would Carolina want a RB when they have Deangelo??

I was wondering the same thing when I read that but just didn't bother saying anything because I wasn't as bored as I am now. Your trade and ideas make pretty much no sense. Plus, I think the Front Office has let it been known that we are going to build this team through the draft, and trading away first round rookies generally isn't doing that... I agree that we need a biggish defensive tackle to clog the running lanes, but I can't see us doing it this year before we know what we have with the guys that are currently on the roster.

fischbowl
02-01-2007, 02:45 PM

10. Atlanta
11. San Francisco
12. Buffalo

42. San Francisco
43. Buffalo
44. Atlanta

74. Buffalo
75. Atlanta
76. San Francisco

That's god damn sexy right there.

Space Ghost
02-01-2007, 02:47 PM

10. Atlanta
11. San Francisco
12. Buffalo

42. San Francisco
43. Buffalo
44. Atlanta

74. Buffalo
75. Atlanta
76. San Francisco

That's god damn sexy right there.

I like that system a lot.

SuperMcGee
02-01-2007, 03:10 PM

10. Atlanta
11. San Francisco
12. Buffalo

42. San Francisco
43. Buffalo
44. Atlanta

74. Buffalo
75. Atlanta
76. San Francisco

yep, thats how it's done

the disease
02-01-2007, 04:21 PM
This is my first post ever so cut me some slack here if its not up to par.
If Okoye is available at #12 do you think the Bills should give him a serious look?

Space Ghost
02-01-2007, 04:38 PM
This is my first post ever so cut me some slack here if its not up to par.
If Okoye is available at #12 do you think the Bills should give him a serious look?

I would give him a look, but only if Timmons and Willis are off the board and we have no trading partners. I think it is too early to invest another first round pick in that position, especially because he plays the same position as McCargo, we need a NT, not another UT. If Okoye bulks up to around 300 and can be like Booger McFarland, then I say sure, but he is the same position as McCargo and Tripplett pretty much.

the disease
02-01-2007, 04:44 PM
i can see them taking willis with that pick, but they have bigger needs than linebacker. Unless they think Spikes is done within the next year or so i dont think they will go timmons. Crowell and Spikes are both capable for holding sown that position, but a MLB would be great because i dont think personally flecther will resign. I know its high but even considering trading down a bit and going for blaylock or Brown. There just seems to be too many pressing needs at other positions to take another OLB.

Space Ghost
02-01-2007, 04:54 PM
Pretty much there are a few scenarios for our linebacker situation that will impact our draft a lot here are a few of them:

Resign all Fletcher, keep Spikes, we keep what we had last year with:
Crowell - Fletcher - Spikes

Part ways with Fletcher, cut Spikes, draft Timmons:
Ellison - Crowell - Ellison

Part ways with Fletcher, cut Spikes, draft Willis:
Crowell - Willis - Ellison

Resign Fletcher, cut Spikes, draft Timmons:
Crowell - Fletcher - Timmons

Resign Fletcher, cut spikes, don't draft a linebacker to replace him:
Crowell - Fletcher - Ellison

Part ways with Fletcher, retain Spikes, draft Willis:
Crowell - Willis - Spikes

Part ways with Fletcher retain Spikes, draft Timmons:
Ellison - Crowell - Spikes

Pretty much we can guarantee that either Spikes or Fletcher leave, and the draft pick that sets us up for the least amount of change is Patrick Willis who keeps the middle locked down and keeps Crowell outside and if Spikes is gone as well we already have Ellison who can step in. It is pretty much the pick that ensures the least amount of change for us no matter what happens with Fletcher or Spikes. The only possibility to stop this would be to resign Fletcher and release Spikes, which would be ******** because we would put so much cash to waste it would be rediculous. I can honestly say I really really really want a linebacker core of Crowell - Willis - Spikes next year.

the disease
02-01-2007, 05:00 PM
Wow i gotta say that would be one amazing linebacking core. And if we get some consitent defensive tackle play next season, they could really spend alot of time in the oppenents backfeild. I think Willis is the most NFL ready linebacker in the draft.

Space Ghost
02-01-2007, 05:08 PM
Most think that about Willis. I hope Dick and Marv do to ;)

DBeebe82
02-01-2007, 06:27 PM
What do you guys think about drafting a tight end early. If Zach Miller or Greg Olsen are available at the 44th overall pick do you think we would pick one of them up? Which one would you guys prefer and why? I was just wondering if you guys would pick either of them up if they were available in the second round.

As far as the Tightend position goes i would rather look towards free agency then use a potential second round pick on a player like Olsen or Miller as imo we can pick a player of better value. In regards for the need at TE i would look at maybe the 3rd round or early second day as imo this draft has no superstars at the position though it has extreme depth.

I would much rather try and sign Daniel Graham from the Pats as they will probably put up no fight to resign him at all as they already have Ben Watson. We can then use royal as our blocking te, which he is more suited for, and then graham as our designated receiving TE. I would love to see the bills use graham on those TE screens the patriots have been killing us on for the last few years.

Just my two cents...

DWhitner20
02-01-2007, 08:15 PM
I'd like to pickup Graham or go TE in round 4 like Ben Patrick or Harline.

As for LB, I think it's def going to be addressed first day and if Okoye is there at 12 I think we take him then go for Beason or Siler round 2.

essential
02-01-2007, 08:54 PM
for tight end, i think we should go olsen in the second, if he's there, depending on how FA went and who else left in the second, but i'd rather have eric johnson from SF in FA than graham.

DBeebe82
02-01-2007, 10:12 PM
I like Eric Johnson as a receiving threat but he is terribly injury-prone.

the disease
02-01-2007, 10:28 PM
I think olsen in the second round would be a great choice...although i dont liek the attitude teh U of M guys bring out..and i dont wanan see him riding a motorcycle :lol:

OTcoach
02-01-2007, 11:06 PM
I think we're fine at TE. Everett's ACL will be that much better next yr and Royal will continue to gel with JP.

You guys don't like my Jenkins trade but I do think you'll see Marv go looking for a NT in a trade this off-season as there is no Ngata type in the draft this yr. Indy gave up a 2nd rd for Booger, he's obviously helped them get to were they are. Jenkins might be to rich but there has to be someone out there that'll help our run D.

katnip
02-02-2007, 07:49 AM
We won't make such a trade, that trade was ridiculous lopsided for us and Carolina wasn't getting anything in return really.

We have an unproven in McCargo so I don't see why you are trying to get rid of him. Hell he hasn't proven anything I know but you're trying to ship him off already.

And guess what - we didn't take Ngata because a Ngata-Type doesn't fit our system! Hence we won't do it this season.

morknolle
02-02-2007, 10:32 AM
Hey guys, I was trying to put together some free agency and draft ideas. I keep hearing on our message boards that you guys are looking at someone like Levi Brown, any truth to that? I don't think OLine is a particularly big need of yours although Brown would be a decent fit for what you guys do.

I'd also heard a couple people speculate that you might be looking at a WR like Dwayne Jarrett if he's available to complement Lee Evans. Any ideas on that?

I think Patrick Willis or even Lawrence Timmons would be a good look for you guys, both definitely fit your defense, although at the same time I think there are a lot of decent LBs like that in this draft that you could find someone like Beason, Everett, Rufus, etc. in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

I noticed in Scott Wright's mock that he has you taking Darrelle Revis. Any credence to that? Your pass defense was relatively solid this year and you spent 3 of your top 4 picks last year in the secondary, granted two were on FS/SS but still, so any possibility of taking a CB like Revis or Hall in the 1st?

What about like an Alan Branch in the unlikely event that he falls to you guys? You got McCargo last year but he's not the NT, runstuffing type of DT like Branch is. While he's likely a top 5-10 talent I'm not sure a lot of the teams in front of you guys are looking for his type of a DT. Amobi Okoye would be another option that may be more likely to fall to you guys, but he's much more similar to McCargo as was pointed out in an earlier post on here.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Leon Sandcastle
02-02-2007, 12:09 PM
Don't know about you guys but I'm liking Leon Hall more and more.

essential
02-02-2007, 02:25 PM

i think he's a bit over rated in a weak CB class. i'd rather trade down and grab revis/houston than take hall at 12.

SuperMcGee
02-02-2007, 04:36 PM
Hey guys, I was trying to put together some free agency and draft ideas. I keep hearing on our message boards that you guys are looking at someone like Levi Brown, any truth to that? I don't think OLine is a particularly big need of yours although Brown would be a decent fit for what you guys do.

I'd also heard a couple people speculate that you might be looking at a WR like Dwayne Jarrett if he's available to complement Lee Evans. Any ideas on that?

I think Patrick Willis or even Lawrence Timmons would be a good look for you guys, both definitely fit your defense, although at the same time I think there are a lot of decent LBs like that in this draft that you could find someone like Beason, Everett, Rufus, etc. in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

I noticed in Scott Wright's mock that he has you taking Darrelle Revis. Any credence to that? Your pass defense was relatively solid this year and you spent 3 of your top 4 picks last year in the secondary, granted two were on FS/SS but still, so any possibility of taking a CB like Revis or Hall in the 1st?

What about like an Alan Branch in the unlikely event that he falls to you guys? You got McCargo last year but he's not the NT, runstuffing type of DT like Branch is. While he's likely a top 5-10 talent I'm not sure a lot of the teams in front of you guys are looking for his type of a DT. Amobi Okoye would be another option that may be more likely to fall to you guys, but he's much more similar to McCargo as was pointed out in an earlier post on here.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'll try to get to all of your points

- Most Bills fans that I know don't want Brown or any OL in the 1st (save a Joe Thomas miracle drop)

- I'd like to get a guy like Jarrett but I don't think it will happen as much. Could be a possibility though. Possibly Dwayne Bowe even

- Many Bills fans look at LB as the biggest need. And while I'm sure we'd all agree on your point of the depth at the position, I am a huge fan of Patrick Willis and really really like the 1st round LB in this draft (Willis, Posluszny, and to a lesser extent Timmons)

- CB is considered a big need due to the impending departure of Clements. McGee is no #1 and Youboty hasn't proven much and is not seen well in the eyes of many, though he is seen as a great potential starter by others

- I don't like our DTs that much. Didn't like the McCargo (even though I was all about improving our DT last year, I just wasn't a huge fan of his). That said, I'm not sure if we go after nohter DT so soon after having 3 new guys this year top our depth chart. But I would LOVE Alan Branch

SuperMcGee
02-02-2007, 04:38 PM

It would be a pretty good pick (all things assumed with Clements). He'd be a fine player for us, but I see him a bit overrated and don't want a CB in the first round as much. I like Daymeion Hughes and Aaron Ross if they could be there in the 2nd round

art vandelay
02-03-2007, 01:04 PM
My Top 21/22 Big Board:

1. Calvin Johnson
2. Adrian Peterson
3. Alan Branch
4. Jamaal Anderson
5. Gaines Adams
6. Lawrence Timmons
7. Amobi Okoye
8. Marshawn Lynch
9. Chris Houston
10. Robert Meachem
11. Patrick Willis
12. Dwayne Bowe
13. Leon Hall
14. Ben Grubbs
15. Jon Beason
16. Aaron Ross
17. Josh Wilson
18. Jon Beason
19. Victor Abiamiri
20. Daymeion Hughes
21. Zach Miller/Greg Olsen

DollarBill3181
02-03-2007, 01:20 PM
Bills will struggle alot on offense if they dont sign one of the top FA WRs (Stallworth, Bennett, etc) orrr draft a WR rd1 or 2.

art vandelay
02-03-2007, 01:32 PM
Bills will struggle alot on offense if they dont sign one of the top FA WRs (Stallworth, Bennett, etc) orrr draft a WR rd1 or 2.

I definitely disagree with this. Stallworth is another speed guy which we don't need and Bennett did not play well at all last year for the Titans.

Drafting a WR in the first two rounds is not necessary either. We need a bigger, more physical WR than we currently have. Obviously, we don't have to draft this type of WR in the first 2 rounds.

Also, hate to burst your bubble but I truly believe we would take Bowe over Jarrett, especially since Marv and company recently witnessed his domination in Mobile. Jarrett has had some character and speed issues, is flashy and doesn't seem like a Marv player.

I don't understand why you say we would struggle "alot" on offense when we won't be losing any of our offensive weapons from last year (except maybe McGahee, which IMO will only helo us) and we didn't really struggle on offense last year.

While I don't think we will go offense in Round 1, the only possible pick that I see is either Adrian Peterson (would require trading up) or Dwayne Bowe at #12. As of right now, if the draft was tomorrow, I think that the Marv braintrust would select Amobi Okoye at #12.

SuperMcGee
02-03-2007, 02:09 PM

I definitely disagree with this. Stallworth is another speed guy which we don't need and Bennett did not play well at all last year for the Titans.

Drafting a WR in the first two rounds is not necessary either. We need a bigger, more physical WR than we currently have. Obviously, we don't have to draft this type of WR in the first 2 rounds.

Also, hate to burst your bubble but I truly believe we would take Bowe over Jarrett, especially since Marv and company recently witnessed his domination in Mobile. Jarrett has had some character and speed issues, is flashy and doesn't seem like a Marv player.

I don't understand why you say we would struggle "alot" on offense when we won't be losing any of our offensive weapons from last year (except maybe McGahee, which IMO will only helo us) and we didn't really struggle on offense last year.

While I don't think we will go offense in Round 1, the only possible pick that I see is either Adrian Peterson (would require trading up) or Dwayne Bowe at #12. As of right now, if the draft was tomorrow, I think that the Marv braintrust would select Amobi Okoye at #12.

I agree that I don't really want to sign any of the FA out there
Although I'd rather have Jarrett (its close), I agree Bowe would be more likely.
And there is no one that we could feasibly bring in right now that would be better than McGahee in the short run, barring him holding out.
I don't see us struggling in the sense, but a big WR is still something I really want and believe would help us plenty

art vandelay
02-03-2007, 02:33 PM

Although I'd rather have Jarrett (its close), I agree Bowe would be more likely.
And there is no one that we could feasibly bring in right now that would be better than McGahee in the short run, barring him holding out.
I don't see us struggling in the sense, but a big WR is still something I really want and believe would help us plenty

Definitely agree with that.

Geo
02-03-2007, 03:33 PM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/writers/peter_king/06/05/mmqb/p1_thomas_stewart.jpg

Thurman Thomas, member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2007 (http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.jsp?PLAYER_ID=253)

Fantastic news for Thurman Thomas, his family, and the Buffalo Bills franchise. Thomas is one of my favorite Bills players ever, so I'm glad to see him inducted.

KJ4140
02-03-2007, 03:46 PM
Congrats Thurman!

art vandelay
02-03-2007, 03:48 PM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/writers/peter_king/06/05/mmqb/p1_thomas_stewart.jpg

Thurman Thomas, member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2007 (http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.jsp?PLAYER_ID=253)

Fantastic news for Thurman Thomas, his family, and the Buffalo Bills franchise. Thomas is one of my favorite Bills players ever, so I'm glad to see him inducted.

Cheaaa boiii...congrats to Thurman!!

fischbowl
02-03-2007, 04:34 PM
Congrats to the greatest Bills Runningback of all time! (YOU HEAR THAT OJ!)

He should of gotten in last year so it's about ******* time.

Bills2083
02-03-2007, 05:17 PM

If Robert Meachem is there in the 2nd when we pick, should we draft him?

Leon Sandcastle
02-03-2007, 06:43 PM
Thurman Thomas was always one of my favorite players growing up. And it's so on point when people say he was ahead of his time. Guys like Reggie Bush, Brian Westbrook, Marshall Faulk all have and had a little bit of Thurman Thomas in them.

Speaking of Thomas he's the type of RB that we need to draft come April. An all purpose threat that can gain yards on the ground as well as in the air.

Darius Walker is no Thurman Thomas but he'd be a good pickup in the draft.

When I think of those great Bills teams I'm set aback at the type of talent we had.

Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, James Lofton and Marv Levy are all in the HOF already.

Then you think of guys like Andre Reed, Steve Tasker, Bruce Smith, Bill Polian, Ralph Wilson who could all get in if the breaks go thier way.

I was spoiled growing up watching those teams. Spoiled rotten.

Leon Sandcastle
02-03-2007, 06:44 PM

If Robert Meachem is there in the 2nd when we pick, should we draft him?

I would. He has all the measurables and would give Losman a big target in the red zone.

Space Ghost
02-03-2007, 07:18 PM
The receiver I want the most for the Bills in the draft is Robert Meachem. He gives us the best fit for our offense being a very athletic receiver, but he is also a big guy, not necessarily a long guy, but he seems a lot like Anquan Boldin to me in that he isn't the guy who will burn you with speed, but he will make the catches and take the hits and get you the first downs. I would take him in the second round no doubt, he is the only second round receiver I would take aside from one of the top two junior tight-ends and I would grab him before those two.

The only other receiver I would want us to draft would be Jacoby Jones in the fourth or fifth round. He is a bigger target and has great speed, I really want to see what happens with him after the combine because he could shoot up into the late day one-early day two talk with a great combine, I think. Both of these guys should run under a 4.45.

Of course I wouldn't mind Calvin Johnson falling to us in the first round or Bowe in the second round, but I really can't see that happening at all. I would probably say something like this in terms of drafting a receiver in the first two rounds:

Round 1: Calvin Johnson
Round 2: Dwayne Bowe, Robert Meachem, Zach Miller, Greg Olsen

I can't see us taking Ginn or Rice at all because they are way too raw and need a lot of coaching and would take a while to get used to the pro style of play and I can't see Ginn lasting until round two at all and I just don't think Rice is what our staff is looking for in a receiver. Jarrett I could see being a Bill if he were there in the second or if we traded up into the early second if he falls because of his timed speed, but he isn't worth taking at 12th overall and won't be there at 43rd.

OTcoach
02-03-2007, 07:47 PM
We won't make such a trade, that trade was ridiculous lopsided for us and Carolina wasn't getting anything in return really.

We have an unproven in McCargo so I don't see why you are trying to get rid of him. Hell he hasn't proven anything I know but you're trying to ship him off already.

And guess what - we didn't take Ngata because a Ngata-Type doesn't fit our system! Hence we won't do it this season.

There are 2 teams playing this weekend each who play exactly the same type of defense we are playing now. Each has a man on the line who clogs up running lanes and allows the other three to get up field an put pressure on the QB. Currently we don't have one of those guys in Buffalo. We have 3 DT's who are light and active but not run stuffers. To my knowledge there isn't anyone in the draft that can address this need. I believe this is our biggest need to be addressed in the off-season. Our LB's are small our safeties are small. When teams ran on us this year we were in trouble. I didn't like McCargo last year and I don't think he Tripplett, Williams or Okoye will improve that. We need a big strong DT!

DBeebe82
02-03-2007, 08:13 PM
There are 2 teams playing this weekend each who play exactly the same type of defense we are playing now. Each has a man on the line who clogs up running lanes and allows the other three to get up field an put pressure on the QB. Currently we don't have one of those guys in Buffalo. We have 3 DT's who are light and active but not run stuffers. To my knowledge there isn't anyone in the draft that can address this need. I believe this is our biggest need to be addressed in the off-season. Our LB's are small our safeties are small. When teams ran on us this year we were in trouble. I didn't like McCargo last year and I don't think he Tripplett, Williams or Okoye will improve that. We need a big strong DT!

Alan Branch, though he will almost certainly be gone by 12

essential
02-04-2007, 12:01 AM
many think demarcus tyler will be a very good NT in the nfl, but people are talking about his character issues now, which i never heard before. what character issues does he have?

people say tyler is falling too, with character issues we might not touch him, but he might be a steal in the third if he lasts like some people think he will.

i also highly doubt dwayne bowe or robert meachem are there in the second, but i'd be all for taking them if they lasted.

OTcoach
02-04-2007, 12:25 AM
Scott didn't seem to have a bad impression of Tyler after the Sr Bwl week. It sounded like he was a big slow at the start but he definately has the size at 323 and it sounded like he got better as the week went on.

I personally think we're okay at WR. Yes we're missing a big possession type guy but with the JP's ability to scramble and his strong arm. I think we'll survive with Price, Parrish and Reed complimenting Evans for another year. I sure wouldn't spend a first day pick on a WR.

From what I saw of David Harris this year I think he's got the attitude and the on-field smarts to be very successful in the NFL. He doesn't necessarily have the measureables in the weight room but I think he'd be a great fit in Buffalo. Tony Hunt is another guy who seems to fit in the same mold. I'd love to see these two guys on our team next Sept.

art vandelay
02-04-2007, 10:18 AM
Scott didn't seem to have a bad impression of Tyler after the Sr Bwl week. It sounded like he was a big slow at the start but he definately has the size at 323 and it sounded like he got better as the week went on.

I personally think we're okay at WR. Yes we're missing a big possession type guy but with the JP's ability to scramble and his strong arm. I think we'll survive with Price, Parrish and Reed complimenting Evans for another year. I sure wouldn't spend a first day pick on a WR.

From what I saw of David Harris this year I think he's got the attitude and the on-field smarts to be very successful in the NFL. He doesn't necessarily have the measureables in the weight room but I think he'd be a great fit in Buffalo. Tony Hunt is another guy who seems to fit in the same mold. I'd love to see these two guys on our team next Sept.

Harris is a bad fit for our D. He's a run stopper, limited in space and not much more. We need athletic guys who can drop back in coverage and "fly to the ball."

Hunt is a guy that I just don't like. He's a good college back who won't be able to cut it in the NFL due to his lack of quickness and speed. He's very similar to McGahee right now I think because he's a frickin horse.

Rob S
02-04-2007, 11:26 AM
Wow, I have missed quite a bit over the last day or 2:

- We do need a big possession WR to help Losman and this offense take the next step. That said, we have a lot of holes, and if Clements and Fletch leave, WR suddenly doesnt become that big of a deal imo. It would be nice to have, but I think other needs supersede it. And, the last thing we need is another fast, burner type WR, we have way too many as it is.... Dwayne Bowe is a great fit, but at 12? His stock was late first round for a reason, dont let one week influence you that much. If we could get down to around 20, I would not be unhappy with the pick. Meachem would be fantastic late 1st.

- Tank Tyler would be an OK choice if he fell to the 2nd, but I dont like him before the mid twenties for any team, let alone the Bills.

- I think my philosophy is well known about DT, we need a run stuffer. So what if he isn't a perfect fit for the system, we were gashed by the run all last year and that need to stop. You win by running and stopping the run, thats why we are picking 12 instead of celebrating a playoff berth. Contrary to some people's beliefs after the senior bowl, I still see Okoye as that kind of guy.

- Congrats to Thurman. I may make the trip to see him enshrined!

eagleseye
02-04-2007, 11:53 AM
While I may be a Packers fan, I live in Rochester and have watched pretty much every Bills game with my dad growing up. Just wanted to come into this thread and give an unbiased look on the offseason while being an intelligent Bills follower:

-Don't trade McGahee. A lot of people bring up valid points when bringing up his stats and his comments, but if you cant see all of the things you look for in a RB when he touches the ball then you must be blind. Vision, strength, speed, moves, etc. I think this situation can be smoothed out and the Bills can find a way to sign him to an extension.

-Keep Clements. Yes he's going to want top CB $, but he's earned it. Buffalo normally stays away from big contracts, but from what I understand Levy is pushing Wilson to spend a little more. And throwing a lot of money his way would be well spent.

-Let Fletcher walk. Fletcher is one of my favorite players as he always seems to be in the area of where a tackle is made, but he never meets players at the line. The Bills are looking for somebody who can shut down the run, and Fletcher is best suited for a team that runs a bend but dont break defense.

-The O-Line does need to be adressed. I know they played better down the stretch, but I still don't trust anybody outside of Peters. I've heard the Bills plan on going after some interior lineman in the offseason which is good, but I still think Pennington is a liability in spite of all the love he's getting. Yes he didnt allow a lot of sacks, but I saw a lot of pressure coming in on the right side and I don't recall him being much of a run blocker.

-DT should be adressed, and yes I know McCargo still needs a chance to prove himself. But if Branch or Okoye are somehow available, I would be very tempted to take them as they would most likely provide an immediate impact and become key pieces of the franchise for years to come.

-WR is an area of concern. The Bills have some bodies in Price, Reed, Parrish, but none of them are true #2 WR's in my opinion. They need a big posession reciever to go a long with the deep threat Evans.

That being said, the Bills should go hard after Eric Steinbach in FA, which I believe has already been rumored. And the list of players of players the Bills should be looking at in the 1st round should be (in no particular order and assuming everything I said about the Bills FA happens):

Patrick Willis, Alan Branch, Amobi Okoye, Levi Brown, and Dwayne Jarrett.

SuperMcGee
02-04-2007, 01:00 PM
Good Post. I agree with everything except the McGahee situation

DollarBill3181
02-04-2007, 01:53 PM
Great Post ^^^

except for the dont trade mcgahee part

im 100% for him going

and 33% interested in knowingly watching this team NOT make the playoffs if he stays

SuperMcGee
02-04-2007, 01:56 PM
Oh yeah, forgot about that part. McGahee is not that great. He's our best running option for this season barring a holdout, but thats about it. His future doesn't look bright here and I'm just fine with that

DollarBill3181
02-04-2007, 01:58 PM

Definitely agree with that.

see, i coudlnt disagree more, your sayign keep mcgahee and dont get a #2 wr, see thats the kind of thinking that got us to 8-8 and not in the playoffs, and yes we finished well but our offense needs a bit of tweeking.
that tweeking is getting rid of someone who doesnt wanna be here and using that pick or trade to get someone who does - there are MANY MANY options at RB in FA and rd 2.

WR - i know, i agree with SuperMcgee that Bowe seems more liekly than JArrett yet Jarrett is better - but idk HOW MUCH Bowe is more likely, what cause hes a "Marv guy?" - Jarrett doesnt have major character issues, he celebrates a bit, overall hes rather quiet in general

Buffalo WILL NOT make the playoffs if they dont get a better #2 WR AND trade W.McGahee, no question.

DollarBill3181
02-04-2007, 01:59 PM
Oh yeah, forgot about that part. McGahee is not that great. He's our best running option for this season barring a holdout, but thats about it. His future doesn't look bright here and I'm just fine with that

good call

DBeebe82
02-04-2007, 02:21 PM
see, i coudlnt disagree more, your sayign keep mcgahee and dont get a #2 wr, see thats the kind of thinking that got us to 8-8 and not in the playoffs, and yes we finished well but our offense needs a bit of tweeking.

Thats signs of a true Buffalo Bills fan right there lol, we finished 7-9 big guy.

DWhitner20
02-04-2007, 03:08 PM
If we were to go after a LB in round 2 who would you prefer out of:

Jon Beason, Brandon Siler, or Earl Everett?

I like Beason and Siler alot, although I like Everetts versatility. All three imo, would be a very good fit in our scheme. But which of them would you guys prefer?

art vandelay
02-04-2007, 04:00 PM

I like Beason and Siler alot, although I like Everetts versatility. All three imo, would be a very good fit in our scheme. But which of them would you guys prefer?

Beason.

DWhitner20
02-04-2007, 04:30 PM
1. Amobi Okoye, DT - Louisville
This kid is going to be a stud DT and will be too hard for us to pass on here. If we need him to bulk up he will but he is a dominant force on the interior of a dline who can bring the pressure and stuff the run. He is exactly what we need.

2. Jon Beason, LB - Miami, FL
I think Crowell moves inside as Fletcher walks. Jon Beason comes in to play WLB and help out our run d even more. While I like Keith Ellison, I don't see him as a full time guy because he's just too small to be that and isn't a big force against the run. If Beason is gone, Brandon Siler here.

3. Jason Hill, WR - Washington St.
Jason Hill may be an underrated WR, he's got great hands and produces. I think he'll become an excellent number 2 guy as a pro and he happens to be exactlly the type of possesion WR who can do more than that which we lack.

4. Dwayne Wright, RB - Fresno St.
I love this pick because Wright may be a very underrated back who can become a starter in the NFL, he missed about 2 years to injury and came back and rushed for 1,400 yards. I think he's a big time sleeper. We don't move McGahee this offseason and he starts the upcoming season but we don't extend him, hopefully Wright shows enough to take over and be a true steal.

5. -Traded to Stl. for Anthony Hargrove-

6. Mike Jones, OG - Iowa
A Late round offensive lineman who we can work with.

7. Le'Ron McClain, FB - Alabama
We need a FB, as Shelton is done. McClain may go higher than this and is a very good blocking FB.

Leon Sandcastle
02-04-2007, 04:59 PM

I like Everett more and I've been pimping him up over on the Bills official site.

1. We should trade down and acquire more picks
2. We need to get rid of McGahee and early 2nd might do it.
3. Either stockpile talent with the picks we get from these two trades or move up into the late 1st.

I'd prefer the former where we can address most of our needs.

Leon Hall-CB Michigan(1st)
Zach Miller-TE Arizona St.(2nd)
Earl Everett-OLB Flordia(2nd)
Darius Walker-RB Notre Dame(3rd)
Jason Hill-WR Washington St.(3rd)
Manuel Ramirez-RG Texas Tech(4th)
LeRon McClain-FB Alabama(5th)
Corey Hilliard-RT Oklahoma St.(7th)

katnip
02-04-2007, 05:22 PM
Each has a man on the line who clogs up running lanes and allows the other three to get up field an put pressure on the QB.You're making it sound like thats all they do. Each Team has its DTs that are capable of doing that and still making athletic plays and run down guys, something Jenkins isn't known to do.

DWhitner20
02-04-2007, 10:37 PM
Well we're undefeated again!

DollarBill3181
02-04-2007, 10:51 PM

Thats signs of a true Buffalo Bills fan right there lol, we finished 7-9 big guy.

im sorrry, i must be missing something, what signs?
i made a (one game) mistake of our record, but infact 7-9 is worse than 8-8 but still didnt make the playoffs....dont see your point

Rob S
02-04-2007, 10:59 PM
1. Amobi Okoye, DT - Louisville
This kid is going to be a stud DT and will be too hard for us to pass on here. If we need him to bulk up he will but he is a dominant force on the interior of a dline who can bring the pressure and stuff the run. He is exactly what we need.

2. Jon Beason, LB - Miami, FL
I think Crowell moves inside as Fletcher walks. Jon Beason comes in to play WLB and help out our run d even more. While I like Keith Ellison, I don't see him as a full time guy because he's just too small to be that and isn't a big force against the run. If Beason is gone, Brandon Siler here.

3. Jason Hill, WR - Washington St.
Jason Hill may be an underrated WR, he's got great hands and produces. I think he'll become an excellent number 2 guy as a pro and he happens to be exactlly the type of possesion WR who can do more than that which we lack.

4. Dwayne Wright, RB - Fresno St.
I love this pick because Wright may be a very underrated back who can become a starter in the NFL, he missed about 2 years to injury and came back and rushed for 1,400 yards. I think he's a big time sleeper. We don't move McGahee this offseason and he starts the upcoming season but we don't extend him, hopefully Wright shows enough to take over and be a true steal.

5. -Traded to Stl. for Anthony Hargrove-

6. Mike Jones, OG - Iowa
A Late round offensive lineman who we can work with.

7. Le'Ron McClain, FB - Alabama
We need a FB, as Shelton is done. McClain may go higher than this and is a very good blocking FB.

Best mock I have seen, altho I dont see McCain being there at all. Love all the picks and they are feasible for the most part. I assume, you are thinking we will pursue an OG in FA.

DWhitner20
02-05-2007, 12:13 PM
Best mock I have seen, altho I dont see McCain being there at all. Love all the picks and they are feasible for the most part. I assume, you are thinking we will pursue an OG in FA.

I really think Marv knows how important it is to bring in one of Steinbach or Dielman and I really think it's going to happen. I would love it if we can manage to get two 2nd round picks and go Grubbs early then Everett with the latter one, that imo, is an ideal situation.

glazeduck
02-05-2007, 12:23 PM
I hate to burst your guys' bubble, but Jason Hill is a slightly larger version of Josh Reed (w/out the blocking ability). Got to see a lot of him here in the pac 10, and, while he'd be a great pick in the 5th or 6th round, isn't worth a 3rd round pick. What we really need is a wr with a big frame and that isn't Hill. Really, if we don't take Jarrett, Rice, CJ (by some miraculous happenings), or Bowe, we'd be better off filling other holes in the early rounds and taking a guy like Paul Thompson or Stanback in the later rounds.

DWhitner20
02-05-2007, 12:31 PM
I hate to burst your guys' bubble, but Jason Hill is a slightly larger version of Josh Reed (w/out the blocking ability). Got to see a lot of him here in the pac 10, and, while he'd be a great pick in the 5th or 6th round, isn't worth a 3rd round pick. What we really need is a wr with a big frame and that isn't Hill. Really, if we don't take Jarrett, Rice, CJ (by some miraculous happenings), or Bowe, we'd be better off filling other holes in the early rounds and taking a guy like Paul Thompson or Stanback in the later rounds.

I think you're really underrating him. While he's not spectacular I think he has what it takes to be a consistent Number 2 target on the pro level.

Xiomera
02-05-2007, 12:42 PM
Bigger need for Buffalo? Offensive Tackle or Middle Linebacker?

Just curious . . .

DWhitner20
02-05-2007, 01:03 PM

Just curious . . .

Offensive Tackle isn't a need period, our guard positions need improving. Middle Linebacker might not be either depending on if we move Crowell inside which is a strong possibility.

NEWS:

Coy Wire re-signs: http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4600

Also, theres a interview on WGR's site, people said Ralph says he's willing to spend up to the cap limit and going after Briggs is mentioned in the interview... If anyone is able to listen and share that would be wonderful.

glazeduck
02-05-2007, 01:20 PM
people said Josh Reed had what it takes to be a good #2 also. I don't think Hill is bad, I just don't think he fits what we need. He doesn't have the big frame to box out for first downs and win jumpballs in the endzone like we need. A guy I'd rather have if we're determined to take a wr in the 3rdish round is Paul Williams, as i feel he'll be faster and a legite 6'2, whereas I see Hill being more like 6'0 1/2" and slower, with relatively equal hands. Williams reminds me of Jimmy Smith and, like i said, Hill reminds me of Josh Reed...don't think thats an insult, I just don't think its a compliment...or what we need

Xiomera
02-05-2007, 01:23 PM

Just curious . . .

Offensive Tackle isn't a need period, our guard positions need improving. Middle Linebacker might not be either depending on if we move Crowell inside which is a strong possibility.

I find this questionable. Jason Peters might be good enough to start, but Terrance Pennington is not someone I'd want to rely upon. Not really much quality depth either . . . whatever, that is your opinion.

DWhitner20
02-05-2007, 01:33 PM

Just curious . . .

I find this questionable. Jason Peters might be good enough to start, but Terrance Pennington is not someone I'd want to rely upon. Not really much quality depth either . . . whatever, that is your opinion.

You're right, we could probably bring someone in to push Pennington but he performed very well and wasn't horrible, he was actually good and he was a 7th round pick - very suprising and I think he's earned the right and shown enough to start next year. Someone could be brought in to push him so me saying not a need period was probably rash but there should be more concern in upgrading the Guard positions than adding a tackle.

glazeduck
02-05-2007, 02:08 PM
as far as severity of needs go, tackle is about even with TE.

If we can fill our interior needs on both sides of the line, LB, CB, WR, answer our long term runningback issues then upgrading TP is a possibility, I don't see it as neccessary or likely however, and even in that wonderful event that this happens, would still like to see TE upgraded first.

Pennington is big, strong, and athletic, we should be very encouraged by his play as a rookie and expect bigger and better things over the offseason and in the future from him.

katnip
02-05-2007, 02:08 PM
-Let Fletcher walk. Fletcher is one of my favorite players as he always seems to be in the area of where a tackle is made, but he never meets players at the line. The Bills are looking for somebody who can shut down the run, and Fletcher is best suited for a team that runs a bend but dont break defense.That is the Defense we run - a bend but don't break (Cover 2), allow the "chip-shot" kind of plays but not the big ones.

However I do agree we have to let him walk.

SuperMcGee
02-05-2007, 02:44 PM

Just curious . . .

Peters is phenomenal, and Pennington has earned probably the right to start the season but someone to push him would be good to have

DollarBill3181
02-05-2007, 03:13 PM
Just a thought but guys are sometiems knocked down a notch on ppl's big boards or rankings of FAs because they arent a "Marv guy"

I remember a couple ppl discussing exactly what really is a "Marv guy" when debating over a player or two, and i kinda agree that thats just a half-backed, last-resort reason when comparing tow players.

Obviously the Bills need an OG, and Eric Steinbach and Kris Dielman are the top tow talked about arond here, namely Steinbach.

But is he a "Marv guy?"

"Eric Steinbach was arrested and charged with boating under the influence on the Ohio River".....
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2542913

I think the "Marv guy" stuff is overused and just nonsensical so dont get me wrong, I WANT STEINBACH, lol, this is just for the "Marv guys" out there.

Space Ghost
02-05-2007, 03:18 PM
NEWS:

Coy Wire re-signs: http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4600

Best special teamer in the NFL. Coy is the man, glad to have him with us still.

fischbowl
02-05-2007, 03:33 PM
DWhitner I love the mock although I also don't see McClain there.

Steinbach's situation with the drunken boating got way out of hand.

essential
02-05-2007, 04:06 PM
one of the topics on the bills message boards struck me, the topic is:

"Denver Post says Tampa looking to trade down! C. Johnson?"
http://boards.buffalobills.com/forums/thread/1484639.aspx

then the thread talks about how tampa might be looking to trade down to grab amobi okoye, in scotts latest "ask nfldc" he even says,

I continue to hear that the Buccaneers were very impressed with Amobi Okoye. Is it realistic to see them trade back and draft him and if not what direction do you believe they will go?

njati2d

The way Jon Gruden spoke about Amobi Okoye at the Senior Bowl was eerily reminiscent of his fondness for Cadillac Williams a few years ago so take that for what it's worth. I definitely don't think Okoye is an option for Tampa Bay if they stay put in round one but if they were to trade down I think it's highly likely that he could be their target.

normally i would be opposed to trading up, esp into the top 5, but WR is a need, and CJ fits exactly what we need. CJ is prob the only player i would consider. i know we have a lot of needs, but we have cap room. if we get a LG in FA, and a LB like Briggs, our immediate needs would allows us to trade away some picks for a player like CJ.

would any of you be for this? now, i really don't see it coming true, but the possibility excits me. i would be okay with trade up into the top 5 for CJ, but only for CJ, he is too rare of a prospect to pass on if we have any shot.

DWhitner20
02-05-2007, 04:17 PM
As much as I like CJ I don't want to move up for him, I'd rather stay put or trade down. Lee Evans is a legit number one target and while CJ would be nice we could add a good Number 2 Guy next to Evans and fill a few other needs rather than trading up for CJ. A team like us should stockpile picks or stick with what we've got.

katnip
02-05-2007, 04:22 PM
Exactly as said above, stockpile picks.

We already are down to 6 picks. Trading up would require probably 2 of this years pick and either another this year or next.

That isn't worth it for a team like us that needs a few people to come on in and make a difference and dramatically change our team.

Rob S
02-05-2007, 04:32 PM
OT is a need, just not as big as we thought. Pennington looked average at best last year, his stats just happened to be good.

glazeduck
02-05-2007, 04:42 PM
no question. whatsoever. if we get a shot at calvin johnson w/out having to completely mortgage the farm (ie trading for the 5th pick) you absolutely HAVE to do it. Its said that a good running game opens up the passing game, but 2 elite wrs would certainly open up the running game. With a dangerous rb in Willis, a strong armed and mobile qb in JP and a burner on one side in Evans, CJ would immediately make our offense dangerous...very dangerous. resign Gandy, sign Dielman or Steinbach and that offense would be amazing.

I don't really see this as a likely possibility, but if if it was you can't possibly turn it down, Calvin Johnson is a once in a generation type of player.

Oh yeah, and he's a nice guy...aka, a marv guy.

Rob S
02-05-2007, 04:51 PM
Lee Evans may go to the pro bowl if Harrison pulls out.

DWhitner20
02-05-2007, 05:20 PM
Lee Evans may go to the pro bowl if Harrison pulls out.

He really deserves it.

katnip
02-05-2007, 06:14 PM
He deserved to be a starter though, but still notice altogether is nice indeed.

mancl
02-05-2007, 06:57 PM
Hello,

My Packers are looking for help at running back and some have suggested they might be interested in McGahee. I've read some of your posts about him in the past and let me see if I have this straight.

He's a FA after 07 but is disgruntled in Buffalo and has made some comments to encourage the Bills to trade him this offseason. Why is he unhappy? What do you think the organization would want in return? Any other insights would be appreciated- thanks

DWhitner20
02-05-2007, 08:49 PM
It's not a situation in which he's disgruntled. He wants an extension, he's going to be a FA after next year but we don't think Buffalo has any intention of extending him. He's made controversial comments that have riled up a few people. I think the main idea of the whole situation is he's just another RB, he's not great - he's ok, he's going to be a FA, we're probably not going to retain him when that situation arises, he could possibly hold out if we don't give him an extension. I think what a lot of people are thinking is just - save ourselves a big headache and get the guy out of here.

drmoyer421
02-05-2007, 08:55 PM
Hello,

My Packers are looking for help at running back and some have suggested they might be interested in McGahee. I've read some of your posts about him in the past and let me see if I have this straight.

He's a FA after 07 but is disgruntled in Buffalo and has made some comments to encourage the Bills to trade him this offseason. Why is he unhappy? What do you think the organization would want in return? Any other insights would be appreciated- thanks
First.. his contract is up after this coming season. Like every player Drew Rosenhaus has, they threaten hold out if they dont get an extension for thier final year.

Second.. he was a Tom Donahoe draft pick, and Levy has gone with "character" over total ability. Meaning the new management scheme would prefer a player of lesser talent with great work ethic and character traits over someone with great ability and poor character traits.

Third.. Those non-"Levy"ness issues have come to the limelight. When in an interview he ran his mouth. Told the magazine that "there is nothing to do in Buffalo" and that a better idea is to move the Bills to Toronto.. causing much friction between McGahee and the fanbase here in Western NY

art vandelay
02-05-2007, 08:59 PM
Here's my Mock as of now.

1) OLB Lawrence Timmons
2) OG Ben Grubbs
3) WR Jason Hill
4) RB Ahmad Bradshaw
5) Traded for Hargrove
6) DT Walter Thomas
7) FB Le'Ron McClain/Cory Anderson (Although I think that McClain is going to be at least a 5th rounder by the time the draft rolls around)

DWhitner20
02-05-2007, 09:13 PM
Here's my Mock as of now.

1) OLB Lawrence Timmons
2) OG Ben Grubbs
3) WR Jason Hill
4) RB Ahmad Bradshaw
5) Traded for Hargrove
6) DT Walter Thomas
7) FB Le'Ron McClain/Cory Anderson (Although I think that McClain is going to be at least a 5th rounder by the time the draft rolls around)

I can dig it. 8)

art vandelay
02-05-2007, 09:25 PM
What does everyone think of signing Tommy Kelly of Oakland? He is an RFA but he won't require any compensation unless Oakland gives him a high tender (which is a 1st rounder) because he was originally undrafted and a general tender would not require an interested team any compensation.

For your reference:
1) General Tender: Requires a draft pick in the following years' draft in the round that the player was originally drafted in. If the player was undrafted, he requires no compensation. Ex: Israel Idonjie last year.

2) High Tender: Requires a 1st round draft pick in the following years' draft.

3) Highest Tender: Requires a 1st and 3rd round draft pick in the following years' draft.

Also, keep in mind that the base salary for these three tenders are different, so don't expect the Raiders to give Kelly a high tender so no team will sign him because they will have to pay him significantly more money to do so.

I am not sure if we can offer Kelly more money than just the base salary for a general tender though. If we cannot, then there is absolutely no way that we will be able to get him, because the Raiders will match the salary for sure.

DWhitner20
02-05-2007, 09:29 PM
I like what I've seen/heard about Kelly but I don't know much about him. Could he play NT?

Just looked him up, 6'6 300lbs and had 68 tackles along with 3.5 sacks. He could be a very interesting pickup...

art vandelay
02-05-2007, 09:33 PM
I like what I've seen/heard about Kelly but I don't know much about him. Could he play NT?

Definitely...he was basically the NT which allowed UT Warren Sapp to notch 10 sacks this season. Plus, Kelly is athletic as hell. He has played DE in a 3-4 and can get to the QB. I think he'd thrive in our D.

art vandelay
02-05-2007, 09:40 PM
Just found some bad news, apparently this year there is a new 2nd round tender being added. This is likely to be placed on Kelly, IMO.

The new tender amounts:
Low tender - $850,000
2nd Round tender - $1.3 million
1st Round tender - $1.85 million
1st and 3rd Round tender - $2.35 million

However, if a low tender is placed on Kelly, I also found out that we CAN offer him more than $850,000. If we offer him a salary which the Raiders do not want to match, then he is ours. Nevertheless, unfortunatley, as I mentioned, Kelly will probably get the 2nd Round tender.

Leon Sandcastle
02-06-2007, 12:22 PM
Who the hell is Kelly? Do you guys mean Terdell Sands?

Leon Sandcastle
02-06-2007, 12:24 PM
Scott has us taking Leon Hall with the 12th pick and Zach Miller with the 44th.

I'd like to move down a little to grab Hall but I'm pretty happy with those first two picks.

Zach Miller would make Losman a better QB. People always say that the TE is a QB's best friend. And in Miller you got a pretty good friend.

DollarBill3181
02-06-2007, 01:00 PM

I'd like to move down a little to grab Hall but I'm pretty happy with those first two picks.

Zach Miller would make Losman a better QB. People always say that the TE is a QB's best friend. And in Miller you got a pretty good friend.

Do you think we coudl get Hall later than 12th?
Miller would be exactly what we need, my reason for drafting Jarrett is the exact reason id want Miller too.

If Clements leaves i'd want Hall over Jarrett and a good WR or TE in rd.2 as well.

SuperMcGee
02-06-2007, 01:35 PM

Hall is not going to last that long, and him at 12 will probably end up as a good value. Miller is a pretty good pick, I've been looking at TE more in depth lately, I have a longer post in his mock thread

DBeebe82
02-06-2007, 02:35 PM
To regards to Scott's mock i have no complaints. With the increased possibility of Clements leaving i would love to bring in a cornerback of Leon Hall's caliber and getting the so called best corner with the 12th pick in the draft imo is quite a skill.

It is true he may not have the overall ability of a Champ Bailey, or even a more recent Antrel Rolle but not having to reach into the top ten to grab the best corner i believe ends up being of good value.

I also like the Zach Miller pick as i believe in the first day of the draft we must at least pick one offensive weapon being a more physical wideout or a tightend with the ability to catch the ball. I prefer Greg Olsen slightly over Miller as he is a physical freak. I watched him in a competition on ESPN last weekend, and i know how they mean absolutly nothing, i was amazed at how he beat runningbacks kenny irons and darius walker in an obstacle course.

im sorrry, i must be missing something, what signs?
i made a (one game) mistake of our record, but infact 7-9 is worse than 8-8 but still didnt make the playoffs....dont see your point

sorry to confuse you buddie, was just poking fun at you mistaking our regular season record

fischbowl
02-06-2007, 04:42 PM

No It's definitely Kelly. He was a decnt DT prospect a few years back but went undrafted (people questioned his work ethic) and has done nothing but star in Oakland ever since.

2 other RFAs that come to mind are Ben Utecht and Ernest Wilford. I see Utecht as more of a H-B type like the COlts made him out to be but I think he can also be a good starting TE in a normal, H-B less, system. Wilford is 6'5'' and has proven himself to be a good #3 reciever.

art vandelay
02-06-2007, 07:05 PM

Tommy Kelly:
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/494520

bills_red
02-07-2007, 01:56 PM
Trades I did on the Bills Board.

BUF-Mike Williams-WR
DET--George Wilson-WR, #204

BUF-#24, #28
NE-#12

What do you think. I know the Mike Williams trade will most likley never happen.

Rob S
02-07-2007, 01:57 PM

BUF-Mike Williams-WR

BUF-#24, #28, #60
NE-#12, #43

What do you think. I know the Mike Williams trade will most likley never happen.

like the williams trade, but marv would never get him. The other trade depends on who is there etc.

bills_red
02-07-2007, 02:00 PM

BUF-Mike Williams-WR

BUF-#24, #28
NE-#12

like the williams trade, but marv would never get him. The other trade depends on who is there etc.

http://boards.buffalobills.com/forums/thread/1475321.aspx

DWhitner20
02-07-2007, 03:19 PM
BuffaloBills.com says that the Bills are looking for a "A true all-purpose back that can handle the load full-time," this off-season.
The implication, of course, is that Willis McGahee isn't one. A few weeks back, the team's website said there was a possibility McGahee would get dealt this off-season. We're starting to think it's likely.

http://rotoworld.com/content/Headlines.aspx?sport=NFL

DBeebe82
02-07-2007, 05:10 PM
BuffaloBills.com says that the Bills are looking for a "A true all-purpose back that can handle the load full-time," this off-season.
The implication, of course, is that Willis McGahee isn't one. A few weeks back, the team's website said there was a possibility McGahee would get dealt this off-season. We're starting to think it's likely.

http://rotoworld.com/content/Headlines.aspx?sport=NFL

Two words: All Day 8)

Leon Sandcastle
02-07-2007, 06:00 PM
Darius Walker here we come.

art vandelay
02-07-2007, 08:54 PM
Darius Walker here we come.

Ewww. So overrated.

glazeduck
02-07-2007, 09:58 PM
overrated and he fights the ball with his hands when trying to catch it...

i don't think i've ever seen a skill position have such bad looking hands as Walker. He's clearly not the guy for us.

tylerb929
02-08-2007, 08:02 AM
Kenny Irons

glazeduck
02-08-2007, 10:57 AM
I wonder what it would take to get Greg Jones?

I've been a big fan of this kid since college, he's a battering ram and before his injury was having one heck of a season last year... it's an idea I haven't seen mentioned and w/ Jacksonville having 3 rbs it would seem that he may be the odd man out. He's still young...

I like this idea...give him a seminole buddy w/ Booker in the 4th, thats one heck of a thunder/lightning package right there.

The other vet. RB that catches my eye is Marion Barber III, with a rookie O Coordinator Dallas may want to avoid a controversy at RB. Just another thought.

BamaFalcon59
02-08-2007, 12:57 PM
I would be interested in Germaine Race. If he is built like they say, he could be punishing. Seeing that the Bills running game was average last year, you are not losing much in total yardage, and he will probably go lower in the draft. There are to many holes to fill in one year, so you need to make due with some positions and really improve on others. They should franchise tag Fletcher, if possible. So you do not need to deal with a LB this year. McCargo should play and he is suppose to be good against the run. Let Ashton play CB. There will be 3 other proven players back there, so it is not as desperate as people think. You need to give JP some other weapons. A trade for Randy Moss may be unthinkable but it would sell tickets and help Lee Evans. A TE that can get open is another thing. They can trade down to the 20-24th spot and still get a player that will contribute and with the Willis trade you can stock pile some picks in the secound round to fix the O line. Without an O line a running game, passing attack, or a good quarterback will not materialize.

fischbowl
02-08-2007, 04:46 PM
I would love to get Greg Jones

the disease
02-08-2007, 05:29 PM
I agree i really like Greg Jones....Everytime i hear his name i picture him runnign over that north carolina DB in college...WOW

DWhitner20
02-08-2007, 07:05 PM
Greg Jones is a freakin Tank and would be a nice addition but I don't think he's a feature back and his durabilty is a huge concern.

I like to think theres a chance we draft Marshawn because to me, he seems like the exact back they describe we need, he's an explosive home run hitter and he's got speed and elusivness and he's also a great recieving threat who gets good yards after the catch.

DollarBill3181
02-08-2007, 09:08 PM
If Brady Quinn falls to the #12 pick we have to try and abuse that.
There are teams looking for a QB that would lvoe him, namely CAR 2 picks back, plus a few others, maybe CHI, idk, but i know thers other besides OAK.

If he's there we gott move down a bit and try and get something for him.

In a different route...
Would it hurt to have him as a #2 like Rivers with SD. Not even as a "motivator" for JP (like SD actually did) - im content with him. But an insurace policy for the JP situation, which is....

-With 1 year left we sign him long term and he doesnt work out, but then we have Quinn.
-With 1 year left he does well and a team sees a young QB that went through alot and overcame it that brokeout, and gives him money we cant, but we have Quinn.
-There is the VERY REALISTIC possibility we sign him to an extension and he does well, but a "backup" plan is enver too bad cause idk bout Nall and Holocomb is not good, tehn we have Quinn and can trade him like SD almsot did with River a year after he never played or two years after he never played (but Brees departed).
Just a thought.

KJ4140
02-08-2007, 09:19 PM
You can't draft for the bench in the first round. No team should be able to do that. If Quinn is still there, just let him go, just like every other team before did. Always take the best player available, but only if he fills a need. I'd understand if JP was not playing that well, like Brees, but hes done good.

DollarBill3181
02-08-2007, 09:23 PM
You can't draft for the bench in the first round. No team should be able to do that. If Quinn is still there, just let him go, just like every other team before did. Always take the best player available, but only if he fills a need. I'd understand if JP was not playing that well, like Brees, but hes done good.

ya, true true - just couldnt hurt to bring ti up, wondered what people might have thought.

Thats totally right about a 7-9 team drafting for the bench, that is lofty.

But trading it to some1 who'd want him isnt too bad of an idea i think.

DBeebe82
02-08-2007, 09:33 PM
I see your reasoning for trading down if somehow brady quinn falls to us at twelve but the san diego example is totally wrong. Brees was playing horrible and the intention was for phillip rivers to be drafted and come in and play from day one but that never materialized due to rivers holding out and basically costing him being put in the starting lineup week 1. The decision was then put in a raw first round draft pick who has been studying the playbook for two weeks or a proven veteran who understands it fully. Bress goes to the pro bowl and you know the rest of the story.

Overall the only way a team justifies drafting a backup quarterback in round one is if the team has very few needs and they have an all star soon to be retired gunslinger (example would be brett favre and the packers drafting aaron rodgers a few years back)

As for our runningback situation if we indeed look towards the draft in order to fill the position i would of course love AD, kenny irons, or lorenzo booker in the later rounds who would also require a bigger more physical back to accompany him (burner turner?)...

bills_red
02-08-2007, 09:36 PM
WHAT SHOULD I DO?????
What do I go for I wanted Bowe/Ginn/Carriker/Brown but they are gone.
Thanks for the help.

Round 1:

001. OAK- JaMarcus Russell-QB-LSU

002. DET- Joe Thomas-OT-Wisconsin

003. CLE- Adrian Peterson-RB-Oklahoma

004. TB- Calvin Johnson from-WR-Georgia Tech

005. ARZ- Jamaal Anderson-DE-Arkansas

006. JAC (f/WAS)- Brady Quinn-QB-Norte Dame

007. MIN- Dwayne Jarrett-WR-USC

008. HOU- LaRon Landry-S-LSU

009. CIN (f/MIA)- Alan Branch-DT-Michigan

010. ATL- Gaines Adams-DE-Clemson

011. SF- Reggie Nelson-S-Florida

012. NE (f/BUF)- Leon Hall-CB-Michigan

013. STL- Lawrence Timmons-OLB-Florida State

014. CAR- Patrick Willis-ILB-Mississippi

015. PIT- Amobi Okoye-DT-Louisville

016. GB- Marshawn Lynch-RB-California

017. WAS (f/JAC)- Adam Carriker-DE-Nebraska

018. MIA (f/CIN)- Levi Brown-OT-Penn State

019. TEN- Tedd Ginn JR-WR-Ohio State

020. CAR (f/NYG)- Michael Griffin-S-Texas

021. DEN- Charles Johnson-DE-Georgia

022. DAL- Dwayne Bowe-WR-LSU

023. KC-

024. BUF (f/NE(f/SEA)-

025. NYJ-

026. PHI-

027. NO-

028. BUF (f/NE)-

029. BAL-

030. SD-

031. CHI-

032. SF (f/IND)-

Cheesus
02-08-2007, 10:46 PM
Haha don't pick the guy I am targeting with the Jets right now.

bills_red
02-08-2007, 11:04 PM
Haha don't pick the guy I am targeting with the Jets right now.
If you give me 5 bucks....

essential
02-10-2007, 02:49 AM
call me crazy guys, but i just have this feeling our pick at #12 will be charles johnson.

unless someone like adrian peterson/alan branch falls to 12, i really just have a feeling johnson will be the pick.

art vandelay
02-10-2007, 09:25 AM
call me crazy guys, but i just have this feeling our pick at #12 will be charles johnson.

unless someone like adrian peterson/alan branch falls to 12, i really just have a feeling johnson will be the pick.

You are definitely crazy.

DWhitner20
02-10-2007, 09:43 AM
Yeah, crazy.

BamaFalcon59
02-10-2007, 10:24 AM
in big need of medication.

Geo
02-10-2007, 11:16 AM
Charles Johnson wouldn't surprise me, really. It's hard to go wrong acquiring a 1st round talent at DE (of all positions) who is a perfect fit for the scheme. Unless he's taken by Bills or around that area, I've got a feeling Johnson is one of the talents who we're going to look back on in a few years and wonder why he wasn't taken earlier in the draft.

People keep thinking the Bills will only take a CB or MLB, but quite frankly, I don't see a prospect at either of those positions who grades as high as the 12th overall pick.

If I'm the Bills, my aim is to make out like bandits with either CB Aaron Ross of Texas or CB Daymeion Hughes of California Berkeley with my 2nd round pick - even if that means trading up some spots. It surprises me how under the radar both are flying at currently, I think a great deal of both (loved watching Hughes in Cal games). They are perfect for the team, and the difference in talent from say Darrelle Revis to them isn't near the difference between Johnson and whatever top-rated lineman is available there.

DWhitner20
02-10-2007, 11:35 AM
Charles Johnson wouldn't surprise me, really. It's hard to go wrong acquiring a 1st round talent at DE (of all positions) who is a perfect fit for the scheme. Unless he's taken by Bills or around that area, I've got a feeling Johnson is one of the talents who we're going to look back on a few years and wonder why he wasn't taken earlier in the draft.

People keep thinking the Bills will only take a CB or MLB, but quite frankly, I don't see a prospect at either of those positions who grades as high as the 12th overall pick.

If I'm the Bills, my aim is to make out like bandits with either CB Aaron Ross of Texas or CB Daymeion Hughes of California Berkeley with my 2nd round pick - even if that means trading up some spots. It surprises me how under the rader both are flying at under the moment, I think a great deal of both (loved watching Hughes in Cal games). They are perfect for the team, and the difference in talent from say Darrelle Revis to them isn't near the difference between Johnson and whatever top-rated lineman is available there.

Don't get it twisted, I like Johnson.. to see him at 12 would shock me though, especially since I like Abiamiri more. I think they'll both be very good pro ends.

As for taking a CB, I'm really against this... I think we'll offer Nate a deal, if he takes it great if he dosent I think we'll pursue Nick Harper or Rod Hood in FA, maybe both, but land one.

essential
02-10-2007, 12:42 PM
that's why i said call me crazy about feeling johnson might be the pick. we don't really need him with schobel on one side and denney/hargrove on the other.

everyone thought freeney was taken way too high at the time, look at him now. i think if we don't take charles johnson, he doesn't make it past the broncos at #21.

like i said, it doesn't really make sense, i can't explain it, i just have a feeling johnson could be a bill at #12.

NIN1984
02-10-2007, 12:50 PM
IMO I think Aaron Ross is the best CB in the draft and would be a perfect fit for the Bills if not they really should be looking at Jarrett, Losman needs a big target...

but if Levi Brown was to fall to the Bills, how could they pass on him? Peters and Brown they would be set a tackle for many years to come.

art vandelay
02-10-2007, 02:02 PM
IMO I think Aaron Ross is the best CB in the draft and would be a perfect fit for the Bills if not they really should be looking at Jarrett, Losman needs a big target...

but if Levi Brown was to fall to the Bills, how could they pass on him? Peters and Brown they would be set a tackle for many years to come.

The staff is really high on Pennington.

Lynn Daniel
02-10-2007, 03:03 PM
I know the staff likes Pennington, but as long as the pick is on either line I will be happy. I like Pennington too, but have no problem with Levy taking Brown there.

DWhitner20
02-10-2007, 03:05 PM
that's why i said call me crazy about feeling johnson might be the pick. we don't really need him with schobel on one side and denney/hargrove on the other.

everyone thought freeney was taken way too high at the time, look at him now. i think if we don't take charles johnson, he doesn't make it past the broncos at #21.

like i said, it doesn't really make sense, i can't explain it, i just have a feeling johnson could be a bill at #12.

12 and 21 is a BIG difference.

And as for Freeney, thats because we was undersized.

DWhitner20
02-10-2007, 03:06 PM
I know the staff likes Pennington, but as long as the pick is on either line I will be happy. I like Pennington too, but have no problem with Levy taking Brown there.

I do, theres no point in taking an unproven player who will be a RT for us at 12 and paying him LT money.

DollarBill3181
02-10-2007, 03:14 PM

I do, theres no point in taking an unproven player who will be a RT for us at 12 and paying him LT money.

exactly, maybe rd3 at highest, cause even in rd2 we need to look at CB, LB, OG, WR (which ever of thsoe 4 arent filled in FA and rd1)

SeanTaylorRIP
02-10-2007, 07:48 PM
Brian Moorman meat Sean Taylor, lol. Moorman didn't look that fast on that play. :D

SuperMcGee
02-10-2007, 09:03 PM
Brian Moorman meat Sean Taylor, lol. Moorman didn't look that fast on that play. :D

It's all just Belichick trying to injure our best player. Moorman's heart was out of the game when they snubbed him for the obstacle course.

SeanTaylorRIP
02-10-2007, 09:12 PM

It's all just Belichick trying to injure our best player. Moorman's heart was out of the game when they snubbed him for the obstacle course.

Moorman's one hell of a punter as well as a tough guy and great sport. Some very questionable calls, Schobel looked nice.

SuperMcGee
02-10-2007, 10:20 PM

Moorman's one hell of a punter as well as a tough guy and great sport. Some very questionable calls, Schobel looked nice.

I didn't really watch the game (Sabres were on). But I saw Schobel's sack. Just make sure your boy takes it a little easier in the next exhibition game, at least on those that weigh 175

Lynn Daniel
02-11-2007, 10:21 AM

exactly, maybe rd3 at highest, cause even in rd2 we need to look at CB, LB, OG, WR (which ever of thsoe 4 arent filled in FA and rd1)

All draft picks are unproven. Draft pick salaries are slotted mostly by the order selected in the draft and not so much the position played. From what I can find it looks like whoever we pick will be looking at a 5 year deal in the $14 Million range no matter what position we pick. (The 49ers made Vernon Davis the highest paid TE in the NFL last year just because that is where he slotted as the 6th pick.) I prefer that we pick Okoye from Louisville if he is there, but would not be disappointed in a 6' 5", 325 pound tackle prospect to compete with Pennington or either guard spot.

DollarBill3181
02-11-2007, 10:31 AM

All draft picks are unproven. Draft pick salaries are slotted mostly by the order selected in the draft and not so much the position played. From what I can find it looks like whoever we pick will be looking at a 5 year deal in the $14 Million range no matter what position we pick. (The 49ers made Vernon Davis the highest paid TE in the NFL last year just because that is where he slotted as the 6th pick.) I prefer that we pick Okoye from Louisville if he is there, but would not be disappointed in a 6' 5", 325 pound tackle prospect to compete with Pennington or either guard spot.

exactly, so if all are unproven, why pay so much in rd.1 for a guy we'd use at RT. Okoye woudl be ncie, but i hate the idea of drafting a DT rd.1 after doing it last year AND him getting hurt - thats like saying if Quinn is there take him.
We just got McCargo, lets see what he can do, not be too hasty before making a rash move in rd.1 - theres too many other more important needs (LB, OG, WR...and CB possib now)

Lynn Daniel
02-11-2007, 10:35 AM

It was a great hit and Moorman took it well. Did anyone catch the replay in Japanese? Funny how that hit sounds the same in any language.

DWhitner20
02-11-2007, 12:09 PM
thats like saying if Quinn is there take him.

No, it's really not. That's drastic.

Anyone have opinions on a possible suprise pick we could make at 12? I have something in the back of my mind telling me it could very well be Jarvis Moss. Just a kooky idea.

fischbowl
02-11-2007, 12:26 PM
Moss?!?!?

Did Perry Fewell die and a 3-4 switch was made??

DWhitner20
02-11-2007, 12:29 PM
Moss?!?!?

Did Perry Fewell die and a 3-4 switch was made??

You don't think he could be a freak at 4-3 DE?

Iamcanadian
02-11-2007, 12:33 PM

I agree on one thing, Johnson's draft status is a huge unknown at this point. The combine or personal workout will clearly either move him up dramatically or see his ranking go south. When it comes to juniors, especially linemen, the scouts really don't have a good reading on his overall skills until his workout.
One thing is certain, he's the perfect type for a cover 2 defense if he's got good speed. If he times out in the 4.6's, he going to be drafted a lot higher than people now think, but if he doesn't, he won't see the top 20 and maybe not even round 1.
The draft starts to get quite fuzzy around the 12th pick and unless somebody steps forward during their workouts, there are quite a few prospects who could be drafted there.

KILLERSANTA
02-11-2007, 01:46 PM
What do you guys think of Nate Clements?

DWhitner20
02-11-2007, 02:14 PM

He's an awesome Cornerback, definetly one of the best in the leauge. I really hope he'll be back, but it's not likley. I met him over Christmas break too, nice guy.

--------

Read on KFFL, John Clayton says Kelly Holcomb is likley to be cut this offseason. Maybe we can move him for a Late round pick instead.

This was also interesting:

John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports Cleveland Browns CB Gary Baxter will likely get cut this offseason.

Baxter is a good corner, he could be a good pickup.

Leon Sandcastle
02-11-2007, 02:52 PM
Just so you know guys I'm fully on the Lawrence Timmons bandwagon and I'm not going to get off.

DWhitner20
02-11-2007, 03:08 PM
Just so you know guys I'm fully on the Lawrence Timmons bandwagon and I'm not going to get off.

Definetly wouldn't be a bad thing but I really hope we can pull Briggs or June in to eliminate the LB need predraft.

essential
02-11-2007, 06:17 PM

He's an awesome Cornerback, definetly one of the best in the leauge. I really hope he'll be back, but it's not likley. I met him over Christmas break too, nice guy.

--------

Read on KFFL, John Clayton says Kelly Holcomb is likley to be cut this offseason. Maybe we can move him for a Late round pick instead.

This was also interesting:

John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports Cleveland Browns CB Gary Baxter will likely get cut this offseason.

Baxter is a good corner, he could be a good pickup.

i don't really want to see holcomb go, i think he is a very good backup.

also, baxter was a good corner, but he has two very bad knee injuries. he will never be the player he was before, and i don't even know if he could be ready for the beginning of the season.

anyone else know anything more about how healthy he is now?

edit:
found this on baxter:
http://www.gbax24.com/commerce/inthenews/inthenews.asp?reqdate=12/23/2006&id_passed=62

art vandelay
02-11-2007, 06:57 PM

I've been on it forever.

samhoar
02-11-2007, 07:31 PM
1) Dwayne Jarrett-WR-USC. If Jarrett runs a decent 40 time, dont be suprised to hear his name called by the Buffalo Bills in April. He's a huge target at 6-5 210lbs with great hands. He would give JP a huge target over the middle and in the redzone, two areas that have been lacking recently. JP's accuracy has improved vastly over the past year and with a target like Jarrett it would go up even higher.

2) Victor Abiamiri-DE-Notre Dame. Awesome physical athlete with good size and speed (6-4 270, 4.7). Was very productive vs the run and pass. Played well vs good competition (dominated Winston Justice two seasons ago) and has a non stop motor. Would give the athleticism needed opposite Schobel to take away some of the double teams he sees.

3) Earl Everett-OLB-Florida. Amazing athlete that needs to be in a system that allows him to run and make plays. Would replace Crowell at the weakside allowing him to move to the MLB and give the LBer position much needed depth and athleticism. Rufus Alexander from Oklahoma is also a good pick here.

4) Lorenzo Booker-RB-FSU. Great athlete that really was under used at Florida St. due to the lack of a quality offensive line. Great pass catcher and is an immediate upgrade on third downs. Could be an eventual replacement to McGahee if coaches feel he can handle 25 carries a game.

6) Jon Abbate-ILB-Wake Forest. Great character guy, overcame death of brother to be a productive MLB in the ACC. Is a bit smallish (5-11 245) but production and impact on the field are hard to overlook. Also may want to look at Anthony Waters from Clemson here if he falls due to injury senior year.

7) Michael Allan-TE-Whitworth (Div. III). Amazing production (118 rec, 2,202yds and 29tds) in his career for a TE. Has great size in 6-7 264 lbs and decent speed (4.8). Could be a great project.

KJ4140
02-11-2007, 07:49 PM
I'm warming up to the idea of Jarrett at #12, maybe after that Sportscenter clip on him preparing for the draft with Brady Quinn. I don't know if he's my favorite choice, even at WR (out of everyone other than CJ of course), but he just needs a solid combine and good IQ tests/interviews and he's a good choice.

We really need to get a #2 WR and I think it needs to be one of the following:
-Calvin Johnson (obviously, would probably make Lee the #2)
-Dwayne Jarrett
-Dwayne Bowe (like him a lot after senior bowl week)
-Sidney Rice (great potential, good size)
-Robert Meachem (nice prospect with size and hands)

-NO Ted Ginn Jr. (small and fast, what the Bills aren't looking for)

DollarBill3181
02-11-2007, 07:54 PM
thats like saying if Quinn is there take him.

No, it's really not. That's drastic.

Anyone have opinions on a possible suprise pick we could make at 12? I have something in the back of my mind telling me it could very well be Jarvis Moss. Just a kooky idea.

its the same, it DRASTIC to take a DT rd.1 when you did the year b4 in rd.1 - esp. after he was hurt all year and you didnt give him a fighting chance.

DWhitner20
02-11-2007, 08:16 PM
1) Dwayne Jarrett-WR-USC. If Jarrett runs a decent 40 time, dont be suprised to hear his name called by the Buffalo Bills in April. He's a huge target at 6-5 210lbs with great hands. He would give JP a huge target over the middle and in the redzone, two areas that have been lacking recently. JP's accuracy has improved vastly over the past year and with a target like Jarrett it would go up even higher.

2) Victor Abiamiri-DE-Notre Dame. Awesome physical athlete with good size and speed (6-4 270, 4.7). Was very productive vs the run and pass. Played well vs good competition (dominated Winston Justice two seasons ago) and has a non stop motor. Would give the athleticism needed opposite Schobel to take away some of the double teams he sees.

3) Earl Everett-OLB-Florida. Amazing athlete that needs to be in a system that allows him to run and make plays. Would replace Crowell at the weakside allowing him to move to the MLB and give the LBer position much needed depth and athleticism. Rufus Alexander from Oklahoma is also a good pick here.

4) Lorenzo Booker-RB-FSU. Great athlete that really was under used at Florida St. due to the lack of a quality offensive line. Great pass catcher and is an immediate upgrade on third downs. Could be an eventual replacement to McGahee if coaches feel he can handle 25 carries a game.

6) Jon Abbate-ILB-Wake Forest. Great character guy, overcame death of brother to be a productive MLB in the ACC. Is a bit smallish (5-11 245) but production and impact on the field are hard to overlook. Also may want to look at Anthony Waters from Clemson here if he falls due to injury senior year.

7) Michael Allan-TE-Whitworth (Div. III). Amazing production (118 rec, 2,202yds and 29tds) in his career for a TE. Has great size in 6-7 264 lbs and decent speed (4.8). Could be a great project.

Shaunta you need to post here more! Pretty good mock, I don't know about Jarrett though and I don't think Everetts there in the 3rd.

Leon Sandcastle
02-12-2007, 09:33 AM

Definetly wouldn't be a bad thing but I really hope we can pull Briggs or June in to eliminate the LB need predraft.

Even if we sign Lance Briggs in Free Agency I still think we could upgrade our LB corps.

Let's face it Takeo Spikes really doesn't fit this system and he's on his last legs.

Keith Ellison suprised everyone this year but I like him coming off the bench as a great hustle player.

Angelo Crowell and Lance Briggs would be a great foundation but we still could use a playmaker.

I agree though if we do get Briggs in FA we probably don't have to go LB in the 1st but guys like Beason and Everett could be there in the 2nd and they would significantly improve our LB corps.

Leon Sandcastle
02-12-2007, 09:34 AM
I've never heard of the Michael Allan kid. Anyone know anything about him?

And what do you guys think about Brandon Jackson?

DWhitner20
02-12-2007, 01:05 PM

I take it back, it might not be all that crazy.

DollarBill3181
02-12-2007, 08:12 PM
In the news today Marty fired from SD, kinda interesting, but more importantly NYG released 3 ppl, 2 LBs, Emmons whos ok, but Arrington who has some quaility obv. - worth getting?
the third is Luke Petigout (sp?), worth interest or naw?

fischbowl
02-12-2007, 08:27 PM
Petitgout is most definitely worth some interest.

I was truly surprised to see they released him.

Bills2083
02-13-2007, 03:33 PM
How much do you think Petigout would want?

DollarBill3181
02-13-2007, 06:37 PM
(in no specific order)

OG - A starter at RG and LG is needed (Gandy currently a FA, but if he's resigned then only one). This can be filled through FA witha decent veteran.

DE - Kelsay will be a FA, so resigning him is the simple way of doing this, if not then a different FA, because going high for DE when we have more pressign needs, esp. with having Kelsay there to resign, wouldnt make sense.

CB - Nate Clements will not return, he will take the bigger money that a different team offers him, so any debate of him being worthy to return or not is a moot point, cause it wont happen...for sure. This can be filled with FA veteran who can give us a balaned 3 CBs to start/rotate in Youbouty/McGee/FreeAgent. A rd.2 pick could also solve this.

LB - Fletcher-Baker will not return as well. This doesnt leave a hole as Spikes/Crowell/Ellison would be a capable starting 3, with Wire (nice return back to OLB), Haggan, and Stamer decent depth, but one more would be useful in FA or rd.3 and beyond. If we were to get a starter to replace Ellison, then than could be found in FA, rd.1, or rd.2.

WR - We still lack a split end to compliment Evans, as Parrish and Reed are nice in the slot, and Price will be a good spit end backup. But that need is evident and would greatly help Losman. This can be filled decently in Fa or rd.2, but even better in rd.1 (maximizing potential and balancing of options) in taking Dwayne Jarrett.

FB - Shelton is a FA. Resigning him is fine, but getting a different FA would be alright too, waiting on Leonard isnt teh best option in case hes taken before our rd.2 pick.

TE - While Royal and Everett are alright a rd.3 or beyond draftee would be nice, but theres no need for a FA pickup.

DT - While we get McCargo (who we havent seen totally yet) back, and him teaming up with Tripplett and Kyle Williams will be okay, another BIG body would be nice. This can easily be filled with a decently average FA or a rd.3 or beyond pick.

MY SUGGESTED SCENARIO:
OG - veteran FA, give big money there (resign Gandy too).
DE - resign Kelsay
CB - veteran FA to rotate/compliment Youbouty and McGee.
LB - rd.2 (J.Beason, B.Siler, E.Everett, D.Harris, H.Blades) or FA (decent quality/money)
WR - rd.1 (Dwayne Jarrett)
FB - resign Shelton or get a similar-type FA, or rd.4 (LeRon McClain)
TE - rd.3 (Matt Spaeth)
DT - average FA, or rd.4 (Paul Soliai)

Leon Sandcastle
02-14-2007, 10:40 AM
Raiders-JaMarcus Russell
Lions-Gaines Adams
Bucs-Calvin Johnson
Browns-Brady Quinn
Cardinals-Joe Thomas
Redskins-Jamaal Anderson
Vikings-Dwayne Jarrett
Texans-Adrian Peterson
Dolphins-Darelle Revis/Leon Hall/Amobi Okoye
Falcons-Laron Landry/Reggie Nelson/Amobi Okoye
Niners-Ted Ginn Jr/Darrelle Revis/Amobi Okoye/Alan Branch/Leon Hall
Bills-Alan Branch/Amobi Okoye/Leon Hall/Darrelle Revis

If the Lions take Gaines Adams or pass up on Joe Thomas we could have a shot at Alan Branch at 12.

Space Ghost
02-14-2007, 11:47 AM
Raiders-JaMarcus Russell
Lions-Gaines Adams
Bucs-Calvin Johnson
Browns-Brady Quinn
Cardinals-Joe Thomas
Redskins-Jamaal Anderson
Vikings-Dwayne Jarrett
Texans-Adrian Peterson
Dolphins-Darelle Revis/Leon Hall/Amobi Okoye
Falcons-Laron Landry/Reggie Nelson/Amobi Okoye
Niners-Ted Ginn Jr/Darrelle Revis/Amobi Okoye/Alan Branch/Leon Hall
Bills-Alan Branch/Amobi Okoye/Leon Hall/Darrelle Revis

If the Lions take Gaines Adams or pass up on Joe Thomas we could have a shot at Alan Branch at 12.

Dolphins and Niners wouldn't pass on him, sorry.

Space Ghost
02-14-2007, 02:16 PM
Here is my realistic offseason for us, I didn't add in all the players we would have to cut after the preseason btw, the depth chart is just speculative.

1. Free Agency.

Players re-signed.
(+) Anthony Thomas
(+) Mike Gandy
(+) Jabari Greer
(+) Chris Kelsay
(+) Anthony Hargrove
(+) Daimon Shelton

Players traded.
(-) Willis McGahee (traded for 2nd & 5th round picks)

Free Agents lost.
(-) Nate Clements
(-) London Fletcher
(-) Kiwaukee Thomas
(-) Shaud Williams
(-) Andre Davis
(-) Tim Anderson

Free Agents added.
(+) Eric Johnson
(+) Jake Scott
(+) Justin Rascati
(+) Justin Vincent
(+) Larry Anam
(+) Joe Anoai
(+) Some cheap backups

2. 2007 NFL Draft.

1. Patrick Willis LB Mississippi
2. Aaron Sears OL Tennessee
2. Jason Hill WR Washington State
3. Dwayne Wright RB Fresno State
4. DeAndre Jackson CB Iowa State
5. Justin Hickman DE U.C.L.A.
6. Ryan Moore WR Miami(Fl)
7. Quinton Echols DT Kansas State

3. 2007 Buffalo Bills Pre-Season Roster.

Aiken, Sam
Anam, Larry
Bassey, Eric
Bergeron, Troy
Bowen, Matt
Brazen, Josh
Butler, Brad
Chambers, Kirk
Cieslak, Brad
Crowell, Angelo
Denney, Chris
Denney, Ryan
DiGiorgio, John
Echols, Quinitn
Ellison, Keith
Evans, Lee
Everett, Kevin
Fowler, Melvin
Gandy, Mike
Greer, Jabari
Haggan, Mario
Hand, Randy
Hargrove, Anthony
Harrison, Kevin
Hickman, Justin
Hill, Jason
Holcomb, Kelly
Jackson, DeAndre
Jackson, Fred
Jefferson, Jason
Johnson, Eric
Kelsay, Chris
Leonhard, Jim
Lindell, Rian
Losman, J.P.
Manning, Roy
McCargo, John
McGahee, Willis
McGee, Terrence
Merz, Aaron
Moore, Ryan
Moorman, Brian
Murphy, Matt
Nall, Craig
Neill, Ryan
Neufeld, Ryan
Parrish, Roscoe
Pennington, Terrance
Peters, Jason
Peterson, Daunta
Powell, Eric
Preston, Duke
Price, Peerless
Rascati, Justin
Reed, Josh
Reyes, Tutan
Royal, Robert
Schneck, Mike
Schobel, Aaron
Scott, Jake
Sears, Arron
Shelton, Daimon
Simpson, Ko
Spikes, Takeo
Stamer, Josh
Stith, Walter
Thomas, Anthony
Tripplett, Larry
Villarrial, Chris
Vincent, Justin
Whitner, Donte
Williams, Kyle
Willis, Patrick
Wilson, George
Wire, Coy
Wright, Dwayne
Youboty, Ashton

4. Trimming & 2007 Buffalo Bills Depth Chart

QB: JP Losman, Craig Nall, Justin Rascati
RB: Dwayne Wright, Anthony Thomas, Justin Vincent
FB: Daimon Shelton
WR: Lee Evans, Jason Hill, Roscoe Parrish, Peerless Price, Josh Reed, Sam Aiken
TE: Eric Johnson, Robert Royal, Earl Everett

LT: Jason Peters, Mike Gandy
LG: Jake Scott, Aaron Merz
C: Melvin Fowler, Mike Schneck
RG: Aaron Sears, Duke Preston
RT: Terrance Pennington, Brad Butler

RE: Aaron Schobel, Anthony Hargrove, Justin Hickman
RDT: Kyle Williams, Quintin Echols
LDT: John McCargo, Larry Tripplett
LE: Chris Kelsay, Ryan Denney

WILL: Angelo Crowell, Keith Ellison, Coy Wire
MIKE: Patrick Willis, John Digiorgio
SAM: Takeo Spikes, Roy Manning, Josh Stamer

RCB: Terrence McGee, DeAndre Jackson, Eric Bassey
FS: Ko Simspon, Jim Leonhard
SS: Donte Whitner, Matt Bowen
LCB: Ashtony Youboty, Jabari Greer

K: Rian Lindell
P: Brian Moorman
KR: Terrence McGee, Roscoe Parrish, Jim Leonhard
PR: Roscoe Parrish, Jim Leonhard, Terrence McGee
LS: Mike Schneck, Duke Preston
H: Brian Moorman
PK: Rian Lindell

PS: Chris Denney, Ryan Moore, Larry Anam, Josh Brazen, Daunta Peterson, Joe Anoai, Ryan Neill

DBeebe82
02-14-2007, 02:47 PM
If we traded Mcgahee regardless of re-signing Anthony Thomas we would have to make runningback one of our top priorities. I just dont think waiting until late first day would be logical (Dwayne Wright in the 3rd). Other than AD somehow slipping to us in the first i would much rather grab either kenny irons from aubrun or michael bush from l-ville rather than wright.

Other than the willis situation dont mind the free agent or draft selections. Seems very realistic.

Good Post

DollarBill3181
02-14-2007, 04:08 PM
ya i like it too, tho no Hargrove, he's a nusance in the locker room (thats why STL n CHI didnt want him), but its not liek he costs alot anyway.
Eric Johnson is fairly inj-pron tho, hence why they took Vernon Davis.

KJ4140
02-14-2007, 04:16 PM
Trade McGahee and move up for AD!! How sweet it would be...

And yes, keep Hargrove. He's a good energy player, he's young, cheap, and a good pass rusher. No reason to cut him.

Leon Sandcastle
02-14-2007, 06:05 PM
Chris Brown had an excellent article on RFA's and he made some great points on Anthony Hargrove.

Bills2083
02-14-2007, 07:25 PM
ya i like it too, tho no Hargrove, he's a nusance in the locker room (thats why STL n CHI didnt want him), but its not liek he costs alot anyway.

Can you please post a link that says he's a cancer in the Bills' locker room? http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061231/SPORTS03/612310332/1021 <----- Here's an interview with Hargrove. He seems like a high character guy. If you've ever seen him at a game, he is the most enthusiastic player out there. He stands on the bench waving the towels around. He jumps all over place too. From what I've seen, he doesn't seem like a cancer.

essential
02-14-2007, 07:26 PM
if AD slips past the browns at #3, he can slip to us at #12. i've been saying it's possible for a while now, all depending on what the texans do. i always thought with the zone blocking scene and kubiaks thinking any RB can get 1000 yards in it, why would he invest a first in a RB. now with all the talk of trading carr, they could very well go with brady quinn if he is there.

a lot can happen, but AD could fall to us barring a trade up, in which case i think we have to take him.

Space Ghost
02-14-2007, 07:29 PM

Can you please post a link that says he's a cancer in the Bills' locker room? http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061231/SPORTS03/612310332/1021 <----- Here's an interview with Hargrove. He seems like a high character guy. If you've ever seen him at a game, he is the most enthusiastic player out there. He stands on the bench waving the towels around. He jumps all over place too. From what I've seen, he doesn't seem like a cancer.

Hargrove was traded from the Rams for being a bit of a problem for the team, but he definitely wasn't a cancer, he has been great for us and I really liked him coming out of GT and think that he can give us something nice off the bench, I am pretty sure the coaching staff does to because if they didn't they wouldn't have dropped a draft pick on him.

DollarBill3181
02-14-2007, 08:10 PM

Hargrove was traded from the Rams for being a bit of a problem for the team, but he definitely wasn't a cancer, he has been great for us and I really liked him coming out of GT and think that he can give us something nice off the bench, I am pretty sure the coaching staff does to because if they didn't they wouldn't have dropped a draft pick on him.

the guy after me posted that we shouldnt cut him - he's gonna be a FA, i never said cut him, i just dont think its a priority to resign him.
nusance was the wrong word, as the guy before me posted that it was more minimal, not a sever cancer. you cant be that disruptive if you arent that important of a player (hence why TO is a cancer, the attention he gets).

but ya, while like i said, i wouldnt classify him as a cancer (or even nusance), i wouldnt say hes really a character guy (i also did see him at games very enthusiastic - i was at MIN, NE, SD, MIA, TEN) but what i heard it was, was cockyness in teh locker-room - and not some lameo normal amount, but to teh point where he alienated teammates or forced them to alienate him.

DollarBill3181
02-14-2007, 08:10 PM
Dre Bly supposedly up for grabs from DET, he worth trading for (them needing a RB maybe, something involving McGahee and picks from both sides maybe).

DWhitner20
02-14-2007, 08:15 PM

Are you serious? Get it straight bro, He was never with Chicago in the first place.

but what i heard it was, was cockyness in teh locker-room - and not some lameo normal amount, but to teh point where he alienated teammates or forced them to alienate him.

Do not make stuff up. He was enthusiastic on the sidelines, embracing the atmosphere and cheering on and celebrating with his teammates. Chris Brown also pointed out a few times about how we was a very postive and upbeat fun guy in his blogs.

And PLEASE tell me how re-signing him isn't necesarry, he'll be a 4th year pro and only 23/24 years old with a ton of upside and he could even be starting for us next year in Kelsays place!

DBeebe82
02-14-2007, 08:23 PM
Dre Bly supposedly up for grabs from DET, he worth trading for (them needing a RB maybe, something involving McGahee and picks from both sides maybe).

He is being put on the trading block because the lions implemented a cover 2 system last year and bly had trouble fitting into the zone and therefore his cover skills diminished rapidly. No way we trade for a player that has problems succeeding in the cover 2 when we run the exact same system (unless it is somewhat different nonetheless it is still a cover 2). They are just looking to unload his 8million dollar cap space because corners with exceptional cover skills are not needed in the cover 2.

Plus his contract ends after next season so they are just hoping to get something for him while they can. Dont see any reason why we should after him.

SuperMcGee
02-14-2007, 08:34 PM
With Kelsay's situation, resigning Hargrove is definitely something I want to get done. He was a fine player for us in his role, none of the conductual problems that weren't big enough to detract us before have been evident, and like someone said he still has some good upside. Definitely someone I want to keep around

DollarBill3181
02-14-2007, 10:39 PM

Are you serious? Get it straight bro, He was never with Chicago in the first place.

but what i heard it was, was cockyness in teh locker-room - and not some lameo normal amount, but to teh point where he alienated teammates or forced them to alienate him.

Do not make stuff up. He was enthusiastic on the sidelines, embracing the atmosphere and cheering on and celebrating with his teammates. Chris Brown also pointed out a few times about how we was a very postive and upbeat fun guy in his blogs.

And PLEASE tell me how re-signing him isn't necesarry, he'll be a 4th year pro and only 23/24 years old with a ton of upside and he could even be starting for us next year in Kelsays place!

Chill out man, i confused the CHI with someone else.
I have better things to do than make stuff up, I was told by someone reliable that he wasn't thought of too fondly in STL among players (didnt hear anything about BUF, of either way good or bad) just sayin.

art vandelay
02-15-2007, 06:31 AM
Keep Hargrove, let Kelsay go, then maybe sign Hargrove to an extension, because he can only get a 1 year tender as an RFA.

DBeebe82
02-15-2007, 09:54 AM
I dont know about you guys but i absolutly love Scott's new mock. Though i understand our new defensive scheme does not warrant elite cover skill corners it definetly wont hurt to bring in a top 10 talent in leon hall. I could be biase because i am a wolverines fan but i see leon hall going above and beyond his modest expectations. I see a little Ty Law in him as he is knocked down for not having exceptional speed, dont get me wrong it would be an absolute reach to compare him to Ty Law in his prime. Overall i believe he will be a solid corner and a great pick at 12 considering he in the eyes of almost all scouts is the best corner in this draft class.

Also love the pick changed from Zach Miller to Greg Olsen as he is plain out a physical freak. Plus cant help the fact that the U throws a tightend into the draft w/ first round talent basically every other year. A month or so ago i was on the dwayne jarrett bandwagon and while i still wouldnt mind to see him picked at 12 grabbing a LB or CB in round one then grabbing either Miller or Olsen in round two may be the better scenario. Afterall, the TE is a quarterbacks best friend...

Leon Sandcastle
02-15-2007, 12:21 PM
Chris Kelsay has improved every year and along with Denney, Hargrove and Schobel he gives a very good DE rotation.

To me DE is something we don't need to address in FA or the Draft that's unless Anderson drops to 12 which is a pipe dream.

Did anybody see the article on BuffaloBills.com today? Brad Butler could challenge for the RT spot with Pennington or we could move him inside at G.

If Adrian Peterson drops to 12 we have to take him right?

DollarBill3181
02-15-2007, 02:16 PM
like the new mock
P.Willis, D.Jarrett, A.Okoye (A.Branch if possible obv.), or L.Hall woudl all be nice at 12.
If none are there for some reason, trade down.
Its looking like Willis will DEF be there, where we coudl bump down with a CAR type who might need Quinn if he was still there and CLE didnt take him.
Rd.2 obv. a good pick, a MiaFL TE for the 2nd time but this one actually works, lol.

...and ya as for HArgrove/Kelsay, what I might have failed to mention bout Hargrove is i DEF do think his physical skills are amazing n what he can do out there as far as potential, but it might be hard to keep him and Kelsay, idk, hopefully someone can answer that, cause im not sure really.

Turbeauxdog
02-15-2007, 03:11 PM
I would not take Peterson, because I want a RB that can stay healthy. If Peterson can't make it through a year in college, he has no chance in the NFL.

Kelsay left a bad impression on me on the play where Vince Young ran for the TD. Kelsay basically ran away from the play. I don't know what the market for Kelsay is but if he left I wouldn't care so much.

DWhitner20
02-15-2007, 09:15 PM
Bored...
Kind of a scenario mock

Target in FA:
OG - Hopefully land one of: Steinbach, Deilman, Dockery, or Scott
OLB - Lance Briggs or Cato June would be ideal
DT - Hopefully sign RFA Tommy Kelly away from Oakland to play the NT position

Draft
1. Leon Hall, CB - Michigan/Lawrence Timmons, OLB FSU
Hall:not my ideal pick but it makes sense, im warming up to it.
If we go timmmons we get ourselves a playmaking OLB who has a ton of upside.
2. Jon Beason,Brandon Siler,Earl Everett OLB/Ben Grubbs,Aaron Sears OG/Zach Miller,Greg Olsen TE
strongly feel Crowell is going inside, if we get June or Briggs in FA or Timmons rd1 we could get Grubbs, Sears, or one of the TE's here(Olsen/Miller).
3. Ben Patrick, TE Delaware/Tony Hunt, RB PSU
well rounded TE who can block and recieve, If we get Olsen or Miller rd2, Tony Hunt would be a nice pickup.
4. Le'Ron McClain, FB - Alabama
Good blocking FB who can recieve as well, we need a replacment for Shelton and this guy is it.
5. Traded
6. Quincy Black, OLB - New Mexico
7. Marquay Love, DT - Houston

KJ4140
02-16-2007, 03:35 PM
Anybody catch the Levy press conference today? Sounds like the team is really gonna be shaken up if you ask me. Interesting read.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4622

SuperMcGee
02-16-2007, 04:24 PM
Anybody catch the Levy press conference today? Sounds like the team is really gonna be shaken up if you ask me. Interesting read.

Just saw that. Sounds like he's really not looknig at o-line help through the draft. Combine that with the Butler article and previous comments about pursuing a guard in free agency.
One specific line that can stir some interest:

"There will be another running back here yes. I'm sure there will whether it's the draft orÂ… the free agent possibilities are slim. I won't close the door on that, but (free agency) is not likely."

Also mentions some things about the draft and our FA approach. I'm sure most of you go to BB.com already, but definitely something worth reading

KJ4140
02-16-2007, 04:32 PM
That was one of the lines that jumped at me too. I'm just wondering what Marv's feeling on how high we're gonna get a RB in the draft. I really want AD, but since thats highly unlikely, I'd rather wait until about 4th round see who's left out guys like Wright, Walker, Jackson, and Booker. It'd be nice if a guy like Hunt, Bush, Pittman, or Irons dropped a bit in the third too.

gookieman
02-16-2007, 05:02 PM
whad up all, this is my first post ever here so ya...anyways i was thinking and i thought of a way we could realisticly upgrade our o-line tremendously over the offseason. As we all know Leonard Davis has now gotten the OK from the cards to look into the freeagent market. I say we pick him up and put him back to the position he was playing a few years ago that he excelled at, which is offensive guard which is obviously a need for us. I kno he didn't make a great transition to offensive tackle but i personally think the cards were idiots moving him in the first place, and then never putting him back there. Now that we have a solid guard we draft Levi Brown out of PennState with our 12th overall pick to give us an instant upgrade at one of the tackle positions to play opposite of Peterson. Levi Brown is shouting up everybody's draft boards and had himself a great Senior Bowl week. Some may say he is a stretch at number 12 but i think he is worth it and will complete our offensive line. And then with our 2nd round pick we grab either one of the TE's Olsen or Miller, or we grab one of the remaining top CB's?(assuming we loose Nate which i really hope we do not) and i'd like to see us go WR in the 3rd hopefully. As long as we do not draft Leon Hall!

SuperMcGee
02-16-2007, 05:06 PM
That was one of the lines that jumped at me too. I'm just wondering what Marv's feeling on how high we're gonna get a RB in the draft. I really want AD, but since thats highly unlikely, I'd rather wait until about 4th round see who's left out guys like Wright, Walker, Jackson, and Booker. It'd be nice if a guy like Hunt, Bush, Pittman, or Irons dropped a bit in the third too.

Booker and Wright I expect to be gone by then. 3rd round could have some interesting possibilities. This Ahmad Bradshaw fellow aint too bad either

Space Ghost
02-16-2007, 05:55 PM
whad up all, this is my first post ever here so ya...anyways i was thinking and i thought of a way we could realisticly upgrade our o-line tremendously over the offseason. As we all know Leonard Davis has now gotten the OK from the cards to look into the freeagent market. I say we pick him up and put him back to the position he was playing a few years ago that he excelled at, which is offensive guard which is obviously a need for us. I kno he didn't make a great transition to offensive tackle but i personally think the cards were idiots moving him in the first place, and then never putting him back there. Now that we have a solid guard we draft Levi Brown out of PennState with our 12th overall pick to give us an instant upgrade at one of the tackle positions to play opposite of Peterson. Levi Brown is shouting up everybody's draft boards and had himself a great Senior Bowl week. Some may say he is a stretch at number 12 but i think he is worth it and will complete our offensive line. And then with our 2nd round pick we grab either one of the TE's Olsen or Miller, or we grab one of the remaining top CB's?(assuming we loose Nate which i really hope we do not) and i'd like to see us go WR in the 3rd hopefully. As long as we do not draft Leon Hall!

Well, I can agree with Hall, Davis and the third round receiver, but not the second round tight-end or first round levi brown. I think it would be a complete waste to draft a right tackle 12th overall when we are a team with more needs that right tackle, especially because it isn't our biggest concern right now. After some thinking, I don't think we will go tight-end in the draft. We have Celsiak and Royal who did well in the end of the season, and Everett was primarily a 6th offensive lineman this year when he was on the field. I think we stick with our guys this year and find out what is up with our right tackle and wether or not we are going to have to use a blocking tight end or if we have the ability to use a more athletic receiving tight end, if we need a 6th blocker most of the time, so be it, we will just have to wait for a better right tackle. If Pennington puts it all together next season and can hold his own, then I think next year would be the best year in a while to draft a tight-ends on the first day. Even in the first round depending on what happens for us next season. Next years tight-ends are incredible, headlined by Fred Davis and Martellus Bennett. Then there is Craig Stevens, Martin Rucker, John Carlson and Kory Sperry and probably a couple other guys who will either break out or that I am forgetting.

DBeebe82
02-16-2007, 05:56 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2768650

Looks like Lance Briggs wont be coming to Buffalo. He was designated as the Bears franchise player today :(

essential
02-16-2007, 06:43 PM

yea, after the press conference, a couple things are more clear about the draft:

1) no first day offensive linemen
2) no TE's
3) a first day RB

bills51tuff
02-16-2007, 08:54 PM

yea, after the press conference, a couple things are more clear about the draft:

2) no TE's
3) a first day RB

Maybe Lynch?

DWhitner20
02-16-2007, 09:03 PM

2) no TE's
3) a first day RB

Maybe Lynch?

If we pull a guy like Cato June in FA, I think Lynch could be a even bigger possibility. I like the idea of having Marshawn Lynch in our backfield.

Eaglez.Fan
02-17-2007, 09:15 AM
POSTED 8:15 a.m. EST, February 16, 2007

RUMORS FLY OF BILLS TO TORONTO

There's a rumor gathering steam in Western New York that Bills owner Ralph Wilson plans to sell the team to interests in Toronto, and that the team would move there.

As the rumor goes, Buffalo would retain the name "Bills" and the franchise's records, etc., and an expansion team would be placed there within five years. The deal would be similar if not identical to the agreement reached when the Browns moved to Baltimore in 1996.

The rumor could have its roots in the recent comments of running back Willis McGahee to Penthouse magazine, wherein Willis said that the team should be moved to Toronto. And there's an e-mail that was posted earlier this week on a Buffalo-area political web site that speaks of the transaction as a done deal.

But we don't buy it. Why move the Bills to Toronto and then backfill Buffalo with an expansion team when an expansion team can be simply plopped into Toronto? The owners likely would be able to charge a much higher entry fee to Toronto interests than in Buffalo, where local billionaire Tom Golisano is pretty much the only guy who would be in position to plunk down the cash.

And with the two cities less than 100 miles apart, we can't envision the league having two teams in that same vicinity, especially since the Bills are already having trouble filling a stadium on a regular basis.

Finally, we think that the league realizes its current eight-division, 32-team format works well, and an expansion team would screw that up -- unless a second expansion team (Los Angeles) were added at the same time.

I don't think I could resist not being a Bills fan if this happened

sweetd20
02-17-2007, 10:23 AM
I've lived in the Rochester and Syracuse areas nearly my entire life and eventhough I'm not a Bills fan but if anything they should move closer to Rochester. So much of their fan base comes from the Central NY area that it would just be a better move to sell out more games. By moving towards Rochester they would get more fans from the Syracuse area as well as the Finger Lakes area.

Iamcanadian
02-17-2007, 12:51 PM

Sounds like the same old Bills, a team whose owner refuses to spend money needed to keep this franchise competitive. This is pretty depressive considering how close we came to the playoffs. Looking more and more like another decade of penny pinching with 1 step forward and 2 steps backwards. :evil:

DBeebe82
02-17-2007, 02:05 PM
KJ4140 wrote:

2) no TE's
3) a first day RB

I skimmed a small part of the article but where does Levy state he is not looking for a TE within the NFL draft?

I would love to bring in a runningback through the draft but if we use a first round pick i believe our only option should be AD. Im just not a huge fan of Lynch at all, i see him as a solid back but not as a potential superstar. Instead of Lynch i would rather grab kenny irons in the second or bush in the third if he continues to slip. Bush is a big bruising back while imo irons would open up the offense and allow fairchild to setup screens and the runningback coming out of the backfield due to iron's great hands.

DWhitner20
02-17-2007, 08:15 PM
What do you guys think about Tony Taylor and Justin Durant?

Space Ghost
02-17-2007, 11:28 PM

Don't need em. They both would be WILL backers and we are stacked there with depth. The only linebackers I take first four rounds are Patrick Willis or Lawrence Timmons because we aren't getting any use of our depth by picking anyone else. We are stacked at WILL, but have no depth at MIKE or SAM to speak of. If Crowell moves inside, draft Timmons, if he stays outside, draft Willis, pretty simple if it comes down to us having to address linebacker due to all other worthy selections being off the board.

SuperMcGee
02-17-2007, 11:33 PM

Don't need em. They both would be WILL backers and we are stacked there with depth. The only linebackers I take first four rounds are Patrick Willis or Lawrence Timmons because we aren't getting any use of our depth by picking anyone else. We are stacked at WILL, but have no depth at MIKE or SAM to speak of. If Crowell moves inside, draft Timmons, if he stays outside, draft Willis, pretty simple if it comes down to us having to address linebacker due to all other worthy selections being off the board.

First four rounds?
And a lot of people trust Ellison's chances at SLB, regardless of his size.

Space Ghost
02-18-2007, 11:42 AM

First four rounds?

I don't like this years crop of linebackers for our situation. Majority of the top tier inside linebackers are all thumpers who won't last in a cover-2. All the early linebackers are WILL backers aside from Stewart Bradley who is too heavy probably unless he can run with that size and Lawrence Timmons who is the only SAM backer who can player the cover-2 that is worth drafting in the first 4 rounds. The only linebackers I would want in the first 4 rounds aside from Timmons and Willis are Brandon Siler, Anthony Waters and Buster Davis or Stewart Bradley if he can put in a nice 40 at the combine and prove that he has the speed to play in our defense.

SuperMcGee
02-18-2007, 01:27 PM

First four rounds?

I don't like this years crop of linebackers for our situation. Majority of the top tier inside linebackers are all thumpers who won't last in a cover-2. All the early linebackers are WILL backers aside from Stewart Bradley who is too heavy probably unless he can run with that size and Lawrence Timmons who is the only SAM backer who can player the cover-2 that is worth drafting in the first 4 rounds. The only linebackers I would want in the first 4 rounds aside from Timmons and Willis are Brandon Siler, Anthony Waters and Buster Davis or Stewart Bradley if he can put in a nice 40 at the combine and prove that he has the speed to play in our defense.

Anthony Waters would be someone I wouldn't mind waiting on.

KJ4140
02-18-2007, 07:08 PM
I would take Brandon Siler in the second round

art vandelay
02-18-2007, 09:43 PM
Ahmad Bradshaw in Round 3!

essential
02-19-2007, 01:20 AM
KJ4140 wrote:

2) no TE's
3) a first day RB

I skimmed a small part of the article but where does Levy state he is not looking for a TE within the NFL draft?

I would love to bring in a runningback through the draft but if we use a first round pick i believe our only option should be AD. Im just not a huge fan of Lynch at all, i see him as a solid back but not as a potential superstar. Instead of Lynch i would rather grab kenny irons in the second or bush in the third if he continues to slip. Bush is a big bruising back while imo irons would open up the offense and allow fairchild to setup screens and the runningback coming out of the backfield due to iron's great hands.

He talks about wanting to get the TE's more involved, and that the staff feels Robert Royal has the talent to be a receiving threat, but since the o-line was so bad he had to be kept in to block to much. Maybe they'd go with a second day guy, but I think they feel Royal is their pass catching TE threat, and they won't go after a Olsen or Miller in the second, Marv just didn't sound like he thought it was much of a need, and that Royal was their guy. I can't see them drafting a late round TE either with Marv saying Everett will have to show something this year, meaning he'll still be on the roster, and the staff still loving Cielask. I can't see going into the season with 4 TE's.

that being said, i still wouldn't mind olsen in the second, heh.

KJ4140
02-19-2007, 09:40 AM
It seems as though the first day of the draft won't see any OL or TE's going to the Bills (barring a large fall for a top prospect i.e. Olsen or Grubbs in the 3rd). So I'm thinking the Bills are going to get a LB, CB, and RB on the first day, since Marv said they were likely going to draft a RB. A WR is also a possibility if someone drops to the second- Rice, Bowe, Jarrett, or Meachem.

I think it'll turn out something like this...
1. Patrick Willis- MLB- perfect fit for our system and a great leader and athlete.
2. Top CB/WR- CB would be best- it's a bigger need, we'd need someone like Houston, Hughes, McCauley, or Ross to fall to us. But it would be very tempting to take one of the WR's I listed before (most likely Meachem or Rice) if they fell and only say McCauley was left.
3. RB- Irons, Bush, Bradshaw, Walker, whoever the top RB left is. We might have to go with a CB here though if we take a Rice or Meachem in the second round.

I think ideally we could get Willis, Hughes, and Irons. Of course... everything would change if AD slid a little.

gookieman
02-19-2007, 10:39 AM
i do not understand why everybody wants us to draft Patrick Willis? He is a very talented linebaker and i like him alot but i think there are much bigger concerns on our team then a Linebaker, especially for a 1st round pick. I personally think that we should resign Fletcher on a small contract like 2 seasons, 3 tops, and then draft someone like a Buster Davis in the 3rd if he falls that far or even like a Jon Abbate from Wake Forest on the 2nd day and eventually groom him to replace London. Abbate could be a very nice sleeper pick and we would not have to use any first day picks on a LB. I personally think we draft Levi Brown to improve our o-line. Whether that means trading down a bit to get him or even taking him at #12 i think it is the right pick for the bills and would improve our biggest need on the team which is obviously o-line. As for CB i think we let it stay the way it is for a season maybe grab a late rounder for some depth and see how McGee and Youboty do together.

gookieman
02-19-2007, 10:41 AM
and if we do end up trading McGahee (which i hope we don't) i'd like to see us draft Marshawn Lynch at #12 and then selecting Grubbs or another good o-lineman in the 2nd round.

Space Ghost
02-19-2007, 10:56 AM
heavyduty, did you read what Marv said about the offensive line in relation to the draft?

KJ4140
02-19-2007, 10:57 AM
We're not drafting a RT at #12 or even on the first day.

gookieman
02-19-2007, 10:59 AM
ya i kno he said they will not be adressing it, but i'm just stating my personal opinion and if we don't draft anybody for our o-line then we damn well better be spending some cash on some FA o-lineman cuz we need some help there.

Space Ghost
02-19-2007, 11:04 AM
if we don't draft anybody for our o-line then we damn well better be spending some cash on some FA o-lineman cuz we need some help there.

And that is what Marv said we would do...

DWhitner20
02-19-2007, 11:06 AM
I just saw Boss Bailey was a FA, he's a pretty good SLB and if Takeo is cut like some speculate we'll need to address that position as well as WLB or MLB depending if Crowell goes inside or not. What do you guys think of Boss?

KJ4140
02-19-2007, 11:07 AM
They're planning on going after some FA guards, unrestricted and restricted I think. Guys like UFA Steinbach and RFA's Jake Scott and Ryan Lilja of the Colts. We could have a line like Peters-Steinbach-Fowler-Scott-Pennington. That would be a huge upgrade w/o using up all our top draft picks. We'd just have to give Indy something like a fifth rounder.

DWhitner20
02-19-2007, 11:09 AM
I heard Scott's comp is a 5th rounder, if we go after him and get him, we don't have a 5th... what happens?

Space Ghost
02-19-2007, 11:16 AM
I just saw Boss Bailey was a FA, he's a pretty good SLB and if Takeo is cut like some speculate we'll need to address that position as well as WLB or MLB depending if Crowell goes inside or not. What do you guys think of Boss?

Well, there is a strong possibility he comes, and vice-versa as well, it really depends on what Jauron thought of him in his time spent in Detroit and if they liked each other enough, I think he could be a lock to join us if Jauron liked him in Detroit.

essential
02-19-2007, 11:47 AM
After Marv's (the Bills GM) press conference, I can say the bills will not draft a first round corner, they will draft a first day RB, no TE's, and no offensive line (at least not with the intention to start right away, Marv specifically said he doesn't think rookie O-Linemen can help).

I'm pretty sure they are going to go LB or DE in the first round, either Poz, Willis, or Charles Johnson.

Only way we go DT is if Branch somehow falls, I can't see them taking Okoye as we already have two young 3-Tech DT's, we need a NT, and unless they think Okoye can play NT, he won't be taken. Okoye would be wasting his talent as a NT anyway, he is a pure 3-Tech DT.

I'd agree on most points. I get really iffy when it comes to DE. What makes you believe there is no chance of a first round corner. It seems logical to me, but I'm just wondering where you've heard this because I might've missed it. Same thing with TE.

i'm posting this reply here because the thread in the main forum pretty much belongs here now anyway.

anyway ... i believe there is no chance of a first round corner because when the press ask Marv about resigning Clements and the hole it leaves, he goes right into talking about how the staff likes Youbouty and they think he's a smart kid. if anything, i think we go FA for a CB and sign a lesser CB like Hood from the Eagles or something while our younger CBs develop. maybe they take a first day CB somewhere, but it just came off to me that CB wasn't a high priority to Marv.

as for TE, some of this was posted above in a response i had, but here it is:

He talks about wanting to get the TE's more involved, and that the staff feels Robert Royal has the talent to be a receiving threat, but since the o-line was so bad he had to be kept in to block to much. Maybe they'd go with a second day guy, but I think they feel Royal is their pass catching TE threat, and they won't go after a Olsen or Miller in the second, Marv just didn't sound like he thought it was much of a need, and that Royal was their guy. I can't see them drafting a late round TE either with Marv saying Everett will have to show something this year, meaning he'll still be on the roster, and the staff still loving Cielask. I can't see going into the season with 4 TE's.

losabio
02-19-2007, 01:14 PM
i dont think the Bills even draft a CB first day. Bringing in Harper or a seasoned vet at CB would be a great help. I see them looking at RB, since Willis just aint the answer at that position. We could go for a LB also at #12, i could see it. There is alot of talent at RB this year and they could get a decent back later on. Tony Hunt and michael bush will be availabe later on day 1 and could be valuable picks. John Cornish is also an option.

KJ4140
02-19-2007, 01:37 PM
Now that I think about it, CB really might not be addressed on the first day. You could be right. I mean, CB is not supposed to be a huge need in the Tampa 2 so a guy like Ashton Youboty can probably step in and replace Nate this year without too many problems. Really a CB corps of McGee, Youboty, Greer, Thomas(?), and someone like Nick Harper or Jason David could turn out fine. I still wouldn't really mind adding someone in the second round- say Hughes or Ross fell. But we might be ok with CBs.

I think we should look to draft Patrick Willis in the first round for sure, along with a RB and one of the following: CB, WR, and DE- first day.

losabio
02-19-2007, 02:43 PM
I wouldnt even think of CB on the first day (this is going on the basis that the Bills will sign a CB in FA) possibly not even at all. LB in the first round, but I would also want to see Adam Carriker come on. I think he would be great in Buffalo, adding that spark that they need. He could go inside and help free the LB's, or he could play end. Either way i could see it. I see the 2nd round going with a WR, there should be many good ones left, and I know Marv is happy with the TE, but I still think they could draft one soon times. I also think that they could go with a RB either in the 2nd or 3rd round no doubt.