PDA

View Full Version : Crazy interpretation of the draft

AdrianWilson12
05-07-2007, 05:11 PM
http://sport.guardian.co.uk/columnists/story/0,,2074009,00.html

Here is a English journalists first time interpretation of the draft. A lot of controversial and opinionated stuff in here, but funny all the same.

bigbluedefense
05-07-2007, 05:32 PM
I dont think he understands enough about the sport to comment on it that way.

And in particular, if he did understand the sport, he wouldnt make that ridiculous slave trade analogy. Football has a good mix of races, theres not really any racial inuendo in analyzing players, or the # of players being a certain race. Thats not an accurate statement. Maybe for quarterback, but not any other position.

duckseason
05-07-2007, 05:33 PM
Fitting thread title. That dude is crazy as ****.

Moses
05-07-2007, 05:48 PM
I just scrolled to the bottom where he was making fun of people's names. What an idiot.

Xonraider
05-07-2007, 05:54 PM

And in particular, if he did understand the sport, he wouldnt make that ridiculous slave trade analogy. Football has a good mix of races, theres not really any racial inuendo in analyzing players, or the # of players being a certain race. Thats not an accurate statement. Maybe for quarterback, but not any other position.

And the running backs too. I don't know if there is any White RB in the NFL.

HoopsDemon12
05-07-2007, 05:57 PM
what a ***dam fool.... like seriously

soybean
05-07-2007, 06:16 PM

by mix of races do you just mean black and white?

Nightmares Win 6-0
05-07-2007, 06:18 PM

...and tony gonzalez...

Don Vito
05-07-2007, 06:25 PM
People will do anything to cause controversy, and you can really see his desperation in that article.

bigbluedefense
05-07-2007, 06:36 PM

We have blacks, whites, mixed races, africans, native hawaiians, and latinos. I don't think that its a very segregated sport. Of course it could use some more Asians, and desis, hopefully one day it will get there.

I also thought the guy was a jerk for making fun of names. What a jerk. What makes his name anymore "normal" than someone elses? I hate that.

duckseason
05-07-2007, 06:37 PM
On the subject of race- I think it's sad to see people thinking they're doing good by demanding that every profession be equally populated by each race. That is racism in itself. They don't realize that all they're doing is emboldening any lines that already exist. You don't fight blatant racism with blind racism. Shoot, shouldn't we all have figured out by now that we all belong to the same race? Many of us have more mix in us than a bloody mary anyway. The collective mindset on this subject is misguided and ignorant.

bigbluedefense
05-07-2007, 06:42 PM
And the running backs too. I don't know if there is any White RB in the NFL.

I don't think however that a RB would be knocked on in any way for being white however. You see it being done to black quarterbacks (not anymore necessarily, but in the 80s there was a little bit of it).

Take Brian Leonard for example. He could be a white RB per se. I don't think he would ever get criticism (or acclaim for that matter) for being a white RB if it works out that way however.

But we've seen examples of quarterbacks being scrutinized by the color of their skin. McNabb being a recent example. I know its uncommon, and often scoffed at, but its still technically happening, so we cant disclude it from the conversation.

Let's not make race a big deal though. I think it may have been an issue perhaps 20 years ago, but not anymore. I really don't think that its an issue when analyzing players anymore.

The Unseen
05-07-2007, 06:45 PM
All that the British are good for are their accents, coming in handy for a quick joke or for old-time villans in movies.

That, and that whole being-the-mother-country/forefathers thing.

Ravens1991
05-07-2007, 07:15 PM
I don't think however that a RB would be knocked on in any way for being white however. You see it being done to black quarterbacks (not anymore necessarily, but in the 80s there was a little bit of it).

Take Brian Leonard for example. He could be a white RB per se. I don't think he would ever get criticism (or acclaim for that matter) for being a white RB if it works out that way however.

But we've seen examples of quarterbacks being scrutinized by the color of their skin. McNabb being a recent example. I know its uncommon, and often scoffed at, but its still technically happening, so we cant disclude it from the conversation.

Let's not make race a big deal though. I think it may have been an issue perhaps 20 years ago, but not anymore. I really don't think that its an issue when analyzing players anymore.

I agree, A girl did a report in english class and she said that 99.9% of white people skin and black people skin are the same, it isn't a big deal at all.

It is preety sad for this guy to make a whole article about a custom that nobody gives a hoot about in england, it is like a writer dissing a european league soccer draft because he thinks it is stupid that people get so pumped up for soccer in england and europe.

ricky bobby
05-07-2007, 07:24 PM
All that the British are good for are their accents, coming in handy for a quick joke or for old-time villans in movies.

That, and that whole being-the-mother-country/forefathers thing.
Their dentistry is impeccable.

snobdmat
05-07-2007, 07:29 PM
you crazy english guy.....CRAZY!!!!!

Paranoidmoonduck
05-07-2007, 07:32 PM
I don't particularly think I could write a much better article about cricket, much less the offseason events of the cricket season. He's British and trying to understand the NFL, it's little wonder that his mind turns to slavery.

jkpigskin
05-07-2007, 07:43 PM
interesting....
at least the writer has the same initials as mel kiper

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
05-07-2007, 07:43 PM
I thought it was pretty good. In England, it seems like the race-split is even, or maybe even more whites. So just like some people here might see that and wonder, they see a league where every position except interior offensive line and quarterback is 75% black or more. I don't think he was really being racist in any way. And for the name thing, they don't have a lot of Jamarcus Russells or Amobi Okoyes there. In England they have names like Steve Adams, David Bechham, Dean Ashton and Jimmy Armfield. It's just a difference in cultures, North America is way more diverse than England.

Freddy G
05-07-2007, 07:57 PM
In regards to the part about Jamarcus Russell's physical prowess, i have said this before.

If we could get the Manny Lawson's, Randy Moss's, Matt Jone's, Brian Urlacher's, Jevon Kerse's, Vernon Davis', Julius Pepper's, Lebron James' the list goes on forever, etc... of this country on the soccer field, we would dominate world soccer.

It may (probably is) just be my perspective, but it doesn't seem that any other countries has the physical specimans (or performance enhancers) we have. They have big guys and really fast guys, but not the combination of size and speed we see over here.

Of course there are a lot of other factors to a great soccer player, just pointing out what i notice.

etk
05-07-2007, 08:00 PM
Ben Wallace would be a nasty Keeper IMO.

05-07-2007, 08:00 PM
In regards to the part about Jamarcus Russell's physical prowess, i have said this before.

If we could get the Manny Lawson's, Randy Moss's, Matt Jone's, Brian Urlacher's, Jevon Kerse's, Vernon Davis', Julius Pepper's, Lebron James' the list goes on forever, etc... of this country on the soccer field, we would dominate world soccer.

It may (probably is) just be my perspective, but it doesn't seem that any other countries has the physical specimans (or performance enhancers) we have. They have big guys and really fast guys, but not the combination of size and speed we see over here.

Of course there are a lot of other factors to a great soccer player, just pointing out what i notice.

I wouldn't say "dominate", but definitely do as well as 300 million people should. If you look at it, I think a similar % of every country is a fantastic athlete. So obviously the USA should be up there in soccer. Except soccer is 5th on the top athlete food chain after Football, baseball, basketball and hockey. If they did focus, obviously they'd be pretty good at it, as long as their fundamentals weren't shot to hell(Token shot at the NBA).

soybean
05-07-2007, 08:35 PM
what's funny about the name brandon merriweather?

neko4
05-07-2007, 09:44 PM
We have blacks, whites, mixed races, africans, native hawaiians, and latinos. I don't think that its a very segregated sport. Of course it could use some more Asians, and desis, hopefully one day it will get there.

I also thought the guy was a jerk for making fun of names. What a jerk. What makes his name anymore "normal" than someone elses? I hate that.

TIMMY CHANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.athlonsports.com/images/articles/Chang_Hawaii250.jpg
he's part asian, not whole

soybean
05-07-2007, 10:24 PM
last time i checked, timmy chang wasn't in the nfl... :D

bethemooseman3
05-07-2007, 10:30 PM
I thought it was pretty funny. I think everyone is taking it the wrong way. He's just making a thin comparison to the two because the slave trade and the NFL combine have similar features. Like a bunch of half naked men prancing around while a bunch of bigwigs analyze their physical prowess and their ability to make their bosses job easier. He wasn't saying the draft is a bad thing. Just drawing a very mild comparison of the two while cracking some jokes. Lighten up

diabsoule
05-08-2007, 02:54 AM
Funny if he would know absolutely anything about football.

Hurricane Ditka
05-08-2007, 08:04 AM
Did anyone else pretend like he had a Brittish accent as you read it?

BigDawg819
05-08-2007, 09:54 AM
I rather enjoyed the analysis from his perspective and its a classic example of how the British can indeed do comedy. If an American writer would have used that slave analogy, Al Sharpton and his stooges would have been up in arms screaming racism, yet a British writer uses it and its seen in its actual nature: funny.

drowe
05-08-2007, 10:05 AM
interesting read. kind of ironic that a guy from britain (where they watch darts and cricket for hours....and, don't even get me started on soccer) questions why anybody would watch the NFL draft.

AdrianWilson12
05-08-2007, 10:14 AM
It's just a difference in cultures, North America is way more diverse than England.

I'm not sure I agree with that. While there isn't as many people of African decent, proportionally, there are a lot of immigrants from eastern europe and India. Most of the european powers have an increasing amount of migrants, desperate for work and opportunities, its not just in the US.

I think the difference is in sports. While soccer is quite well represented by afro-caribbeans, both cricket and rugby are essentially white only. This obviously contrasts with Basketball and Football.

I think the worse thing about it is that it was about the only newpaper coverage I've seen on the draft. The paper that it was published in, The Guardian, has quite intelligent readers, but most of them wouldn't know anything whatsoever about the draft. Reading the article would be their sole opinion on it. I'm not sure if negative publicity is better than no publicity.

AdrianWilson12
05-08-2007, 10:18 AM
interesting read. kind of ironic that a guy from britain (where they watch darts and cricket for hours....and, don't even get me started on soccer) questions why anybody would watch the NFL draft.

Fair enough, but keep in mind that this was his first ever experience of the draft and he knew nothing about it before hand. To an outsider, Kelner raised an interesting point about it getting more viewers than than basketball and hockey playoffs. Just as darts and cricket may grow on you, the draft may grow on him (although both are unlikely).

05-08-2007, 10:40 AM
I'm not sure I agree with that. While there isn't as many people of African decent, proportionally, there are a lot of immigrants from eastern europe and India. Most of the european powers have an increasing amount of migrants, desperate for work and opportunities, its not just in the US.

I think the difference is in sports. While soccer is quite well represented by afro-caribbeans, both cricket and rugby are essentially white only. This obviously contrasts with Basketball and Football.

I think the worse thing about it is that it was about the only newpaper coverage I've seen on the draft. The paper that it was published in, The Guardian, has quite intelligent readers, but most of them wouldn't know anything whatsoever about the draft. Reading the article would be their sole opinion on it. I'm not sure if negative publicity is better than no publicity.

Oh, I see. I was just taking a stab based off of observations of what I've seen(which is admittedly very little). And yeah, when you consider that in soccer, it's basically just teams rushing to sign the players(I think, again correct me if I'm wrong) the draft where teams get to choose, in order, which players they take is a very foreign concept, I'm sure. And as for the combine, I'm guessing, in Europe, most soccer scouting is based on seeing what they can do with the ball, tackling ability, visible speed, things like that. not lining them up shirtless, measuring their height to the eighth, making them bench press, run several drills, etc. I think what makes it funny is that he knows very little about the NFL.

AdrianWilson12
05-08-2007, 11:27 AM
Oh, I see. I was just taking a stab based off of observations of what I've seen(which is admittedly very little). And yeah, when you consider that in soccer, it's basically just teams rushing to sign the players(I think, again correct me if I'm wrong) the draft where teams get to choose, in order, which players they take is a very foreign concept, I'm sure. And as for the combine, I'm guessing, in Europe, most soccer scouting is based on seeing what they can do with the ball, tackling ability, visible speed, things like that. not lining them up shirtless, measuring their height to the eighth, making them bench press, run several drills, etc. I think what makes it funny is that he knows very little about the NFL.

You've pretty much got it right there. The concept of a draft is alien to most here as its just such a different system compared with the major sports here.

In terms of soccer, I'm not entirely sure about the things scouts look for when they are looking for youngsters, but I'm certain it isn't anywhere near such a rigorous scouting process. The focus isn't on physical attributes, as much as technical ability. Most good clubs have expensive academies and youth teams, where they expect some players to progress to the first team. Players are signed to academies a lot younger though (mostly between 13-16) and usually youngesters go to teams near where they live.

adschofield
05-08-2007, 10:01 PM
I sensed a bit of satire in that article...

soybean
05-09-2007, 05:02 PM

apparently, when i said this, steelersfan43 thought i was being racist. I was just pointing out the fact that the NFL isn't as diverse as we think. Sure there are mixed races and hawaiians etc., but the number is a small minority compared to the actual number of active players.