PDA

View Full Version : 2008's Top Prospects (Lets get started)

d34ng3l021
05-07-2007, 06:57 PM
SI's Top 25:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0704/gallery.nfl.2008.draft.candids/content.1.html

So for top 5 needs, I have something like this:

1. LT
2. DT
3. SS
4. RG
5. RB

Prospects I would love to have:

http://nationalchamps.net/2006/preview/pics/small/maryland_jared_gaither_sm.jpg
1. Jared Gaither. Because he is raw and unpolished, I could see him slipping to our pick, but because of his potential he could easily go top5. He is what, 6'9" and 350 lbs and runs a 4.9? He hasnt allowed a single sack in his Maryland career... He fits well with Petrino's scheme, but could be too tall for Vick.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/media/photo/2006-10/25787759.jpg
2. Kenny Phillips. I want an elite safety so badly. Safeties are changing defenses and its just not a scrub position anymore. Jimmy Williams can definetly fill that mold, but what about Lawyer Milloy? He has a year or two left in his tank and we need to find a replacement. Kenny Phillips seems to be coming in from a line of great Miami safeties. Though I think he is over-exaggerating, one of his coaches has said something along the lines of Phillips having the football IQ of Reed, and the athleticism of Sean Taylor. He is a 6' 200 lb ballhawk who would fit well as a FS. Jimmy Williams could move to SS if necessary.

http://nationalchamps.net/2006/preview/pics/small/southerncalifornia_sam_baker_sm.jpg
3. Sam Baker. LT is a massive need, and this guy seems perfect. Extremely good pass protecting who did alot of pass protecting for some great college QBs (Palmer (i think), Leinart, John David Booty). Very polished.

Wildcard: If Vick gets in deep doo doo, I see the Falcons unloading him. He has already had off field issues in the past, and with this, it could push the FO over the top. And if the story about the dog fighting is true, then quite frankly I wouldnt care. If Vick IS gone, QB is our immediate need. Seeing the Petrino connection, I can see us getting Brohm, and I would love it. Though he doesnt have the arm strength of the past elite QBs, his accuracy and decision making ability is EXCELLENT. The fact that he already knows Petrino's system makes the transition to the NFL alot easier. He could easily come in and contribute to our offense.

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/writers/stewart_mandel/04/21/inside.cfb/t1_brohm.jpg

Pictures make things so much better...

Shiver
05-07-2007, 07:21 PM
Even if Vick doesn't get into any more trouble. If he just doesn't improve, I still think Brohm would be in play. Petrino has set lofty goals for Michael Vick, that will be hard to reach. Obviously it is hard to predict who we will take because I think this team's range is between 5-11 and 10-6. That's pretty vague.

Fortunately, next year's draft class is stacked. It seems as if the draft goes through a natural ebb and flow.

2004 - Great
2005 - Bad
2006 - Great
2007 - Mediocre

The team has a 1st round pick, two 2nd round picks. Not to mention, likely another 3rd round pick for Patrick Kerney via compensation. That's a lot of ammo to either continue to stock up on talent. Either that, or ammo to trade up for whomever the team desires.

d34ng3l021
05-07-2007, 07:28 PM
Even if Vick doesn't get into any more trouble. If he just doesn't improve, I still think Brohm would be in play. Petrino has set lofty goals for Michael Vick, that will be hard to reach. Obviously it is hard to predict who we will take because I think this team's range is between 5-11 and 10-6. That's pretty vague.

Fortunately, next year's draft class is stacked. The team has a 1st round pick, two 2nd round picks, two 3rd round picks. That's a lot of ammo to either continue to stock up on talent. Either that, or ammo to trade up for one of the elite players.

Is the 2nd 3rd rounder you are talking about the one we will get for Kerney?

Shiver
05-07-2007, 07:29 PM
You caught me, I just made an edit.

Shiver
05-07-2007, 07:31 PM
All I know is I am going to pay more attention to the college ranks this year. I'm well versed in regards to the NFL, and how collegiate prospects translate. But my depth of knowledge was lacking last year.

d34ng3l021
05-07-2007, 07:45 PM
I CAUGHT A MISTAKE OF SHIVER'S. REP POINTS REP POINTS REP POINTS!!!

Same. I am okay with the top 3 rounds of draft prospects but after that I know like nothing. I figure I might as well get a head start on learning about the prospects.

J-Dub
05-07-2007, 08:26 PM
i want kenny phillips so bad. he will be a stud

thefalconer
05-07-2007, 09:09 PM
yeah holy crap.

Houston
J-Will
Phillips
Hall

*drool*

iloxygenil
05-07-2007, 10:41 PM
Myron Rolle I'm calling it now, and I know he's only going to be a true Soph, but whenever he declares I want him in ATL.

d34ng3l021
05-07-2007, 11:12 PM
Myron Rolle I'm calling it now, and I know he's only going to be a true Soph, but whenever he declares I want him in ATL.

**** man. When Rolle goes out, its me and you convincing every godamn Atlanta fan to trade up for him. And if we pass on him on the draft, we shoot ourselves.

Agreed?

iloxygenil
05-07-2007, 11:18 PM
I'm with ya on that...

Shiver
05-08-2007, 12:21 AM
I personally want any of the elite Left Tackles. Create a massive left side, with Blalock, and whichever among Long, Baker, Gaither.

DraftMichaelHuff
05-08-2007, 01:30 AM
Gaither Phillips and Adibi are my favourite 08 prospects, 2 of the 3 would be great 1st round picks for us

iloxygenil
05-08-2007, 01:46 AM
All 3 would be. Adibi is a FREAK OLB and will dominate in the NFL imo.

d34ng3l021
05-08-2007, 02:50 AM
I gotta stop liking safety prospects. I started to like Huff during the combine, he raises his stock, goes before us.

I started to love Landry, he raises his stock, goes before us.

Watch the same thing happen with Phillips and then Rolle. :(

DraftMichaelHuff
05-08-2007, 07:55 AM
I gotta stop liking safety prospects. I started to like Huff during the combine, he raises his stock, goes before us.

I started to love Landry, he raises his stock, goes before us.

Watch the same thing happen with Phillips and then Rolle. :(

lol you and me both *points to username*, i wasnt keen on landry but loved nelson and merriweather and Huff but Sean Taylor was my fav all time prospect.

I also loved the unique concept of a bigger corner and loved #1 Cromartie and #2 Williams because of that, i never classed Williams as a safety so dispite the fact that he is gonna be ours for the next 10 years i have never got the thrill of thinkin "wow we just drafted a head hunting safety"

Oh and i know Adibi will be a freak but i was talking realistically and it seems that our LT SS situations far outweigh the situations of those teams allowed to pick BPA so unless Adibi does a michael bush im not optimistic about gettin him.

Ps Adibi, along with Sean Taylor is also the coolest looking guy in football gear ive ever seen, the guy is flat out ripped with a wicked visor and goes full on with the white sweatbands and stuff and Vtech white jerseys are awesome. He looks how he plays

iloxygenil
05-08-2007, 12:32 PM
I know we need a LT, but we'll find one here soon I'm sure of it. Petrino wants his OL to be mammoth.

Shiver
05-08-2007, 12:35 PM
Jared Gaither and Jake Long definitely fit the bill then. If we can get either of those guys, our left side will be set for a decade.

d34ng3l021
05-08-2007, 03:00 PM
Jared Gaither and Jake Long definitely fit the bill then. If we can get either of those guys, our left side will be set for a decade.

Jake Long is a top5 pick right now...Id be hard to get him.

And with our LB situation, who knows we might need him. We have 2 unproven guys (Beck and Nicholas) for depth, a stud who will most likely leave through FA (Williams), and an old stud at MLB (Brooking). The only solid guy who I think will be great and with us for a long time is Boley. I would have no problem with losing Demorrio Williams and gaining Xavier Adibi. Xavier is a badass.

D-Rod
05-08-2007, 03:14 PM
You know, one reason why the team might be reluctant to put Beck in at MLB could be an inability to properly diagnose plays and organise the defense. If the staff don't view him as the longterm replacement at MLB, then it's possible that they could be eyeing him up as a future SS, which doesn't have as much responsibility as Mike. He has the physical tools and athleticism, and would be an absolute headhunter. Not saying it's likely, but it's something to bear in mind...

Unless Omiyale or Ojinnaka step up, we absolutely must use a 1st rounder on a LT (not necessarily our first 1st rounder, but possibly a trade up with our two 2nds). There are at least five or six guys who should be first round caliber next year. My preseason ranking (for us, with emphasis on brute power) is:

Seniors - Jake Long; Sam Baker; Gosder Cherilous; Barry Richardson.
Juniors - Jared Gaither; Ryan Clady; Michael Oher.

That's a HELL of a lot of quality OT talent. We need some of it. In fact, even if one of the O's does develop, I'd be tempted to take whichever of the tackles falls to Houston's 2nd rounder.

D-Rod
05-08-2007, 03:33 PM
2008 mock draft (obviously ridiculously early). Based on current needs, and with Beck moving to SS (just my pet possibility at the moment...):

1st round: Jared Gaither LT (or any of the others, really)
2A: Frank Okam DT (i think he'll slip, just like Branch this year - we may have to hop up to get him)
2B: Alley Broussard RB (if he can recover fully from his injured knee, could be the power back we need; unless Snelling gets the job done...)
3: Jasper Brinkley MLB (Georgia boy, MLBs tend to fall)

That would certainly get the job done...

Shiver
05-08-2007, 04:57 PM
Jake Long is a top5 pick right now...Id be hard to get him.

Well we can't rule out that we will be picking in the top-5, can we? There are a lot of wild-cards on this team. Defensive tackle without Coleman potentially, relying on so many rookies, durability at the RB position, Michael Vick taking to the new offense, etcetera. This team has as much of a chance to go 5-11 as it does 11-5.

I willing to take a down year, then add another stacked day-1 in '08, this team will eventually rise to the top.

ATLDirtyBirds
05-08-2007, 04:58 PM
I'm incredibly high on Gaither. He would be a beast for us at LT

J-Dub
05-12-2007, 01:21 AM
i really think we should target kenny phillips rather than a oline men in the first because i think its harder to find a stud saftey than a stud o-line men.

DraftMichaelHuff
05-12-2007, 01:24 AM
... but a 6"9 guy with all world potential at LT is not easy to find. It might all prove irrelevant if Gaither plays near his potential this year as you may well end up looking at the "CJ" of Offensive lineman next year and a top 5 pick

d34ng3l021
05-12-2007, 10:16 AM
As much as I love Kenny Phillips, we have to go OL in the first with Gaither, Long, or Baker. If those 3 are gone, then I am down with Phillips.

D-Rod
05-12-2007, 10:23 AM
Chances of us seeing Kenny Phillips are very limited. If Landry is a top-6 pick, then so is Phillips. Not considering position, Phillips may be the most talented player in the draft.

That said, if we do get a shot at him, I'd so in a heartbeat. Could you imagine the secondary of Hall-Williams-Phillips-Houston. Holy crap.

We could then trade back into the 1st with a 2nd and 3rd to pick up one of the MANY high quality Left Tackles in the 2008 draft.

ksfalconsfan
05-13-2007, 11:24 AM
I'd rather see us go after a tackle in next years draft. Lawyer Milloy might still be good for two more years, then Crocker could step in at SS. He did a good job of supporting the run last year, so he would be a good fit at SS. Wayne Gandy, however, is done after this year, we need a replacement next year for sure unless someone already on the roster steps up into the spot.

Shiver
05-13-2007, 11:28 PM
Left Tackle and franchise Quarterback are the two hardest positions to fill in the NFL. I would take either ahead of a Safety, any day.

d34ng3l021
05-14-2007, 12:07 AM
Left Tackle and franchise Quarterback are the two hardest positions to fill in the NFL. I would take either ahead of a Safety, any day.

Yes definetly, but I think safeties are underrated. Not as much as they used to be, but I think they still are. Some people just pass them off as an unecessary part of a defense, but if I were building a defense, I would take a safety after taking a DE, MLB, and CB.

iloxygenil
05-14-2007, 09:09 AM
Safetys are crucial to a great defense...look what Bob Sanders did for Indy when he came back. They went from pitiful to really good.

d34ng3l021
05-14-2007, 10:10 AM
What do you guys think of DeSean Jackson? I live in the bay so he is pretty much a local product. He is as dangerous as Ginn in the return game, but is a much more polished reciever. You think theres ANY chance we go after him?

iloxygenil
05-14-2007, 10:22 AM
I think that all depends on what our current WRs do. DeSean is going to be a top pick anyway, so I hope we don't have a chance at him. But if our WRs do well this year, I don't expect a turnover at the position. If they struggle, I expect Roddy to be gone and that would leave room for a draft pick. Jenkins if he struggles may be gone too...not that I want him to leave, but it's just possible.

d34ng3l021
05-15-2007, 05:48 PM
So I really like Brian Brohm as a prospect. I like him alot more than the QBs in this draft and maybe even the 06 draft. I like his decision making skills and his football knowledge.

If Vick does get suspended, I am down with trading him (I dont want him on my team) and then trading to get Brohm.

iloxygenil
05-15-2007, 08:58 PM
Oh yeah, for sure. Me too d34

Shiver
05-15-2007, 09:07 PM
I want Brian Brohm, period. Even if Vick isn't suspended. Unless he dramatically improves as a QB, that is.

d34ng3l021
05-16-2007, 12:44 AM
I want Brian Brohm, period. Even if Vick isn't suspended. Unless he dramatically improves as a QB, that is.

Really? You want him because Vick's image or Vick's success as a QB? I think Vick might do really well in this scheme and supporting cast.

DraftMichaelHuff
05-16-2007, 01:27 AM
Id rather have success with Vick than success with any other QB to be honest.

In other news i read "-black"'s report on next years draft class and he lists one of our favourite prospects Xavier Adibi at 6"2 220 and says he has great hands and quickness and could be a great pure SS at the next level. Due to the exp at LB i can see him beig a punishing tackler and has reported 4.4 speed similiar to what most safetys ran this year. IMO that would fit us quite well if we pick low in the 1st. The secondary of Deangello Hall Jimmy Williams Xavier Adibi Chris Houston would be amazing. Variant on Daren Stones progress of course

Shiver
05-16-2007, 07:37 AM
Really? You want him because Vick's image or Vick's success as a QB? I think Vick might do really well in this scheme and supporting cast.

Both actually. It would be easy to overlook his problems if he were playing at an MVP level, like Arthur Blank is paying him. Unfortunately all we ever hear is the same positive off-season banter about how this will finally be the year, followed by the same mediocre results. As I said, I want Brohm because either:

1. - Vick gets in trouble with the law, and will be suspended. Once that happens it's like opening Pandora's Box, there is no going back.
2. - Michael Vick continues to play below his talent, as well as his contract level. The team will finish mediocre, just like the past two seasons, because of that. If he doesn't show improvement then this team will never make it to a high level.

iloxygenil
05-16-2007, 10:01 AM
Xavier Adibi is a WLB. I doubt he moves out to SS...I mean he might, but he's a force at LB.

Chris30277
05-18-2007, 07:06 PM
Jared Gaither is at the top of my board, but I also would love Adibi, or Okam.

D-Rod
05-19-2007, 03:37 AM

How can you WANT Brohm? If we were in the position where we needed to take Brohm, that would be a huge setback to the franchise. We'd have to take a huge salary hit from Vick, get a top 3 pick, and spend a ton more cash on a rookie QB (and there is always a bust risk, though I accept that Brohm's risk is low).

In no way is that a good thing.

Now, I accept that IF Vick continues to mess up, on or off the field, and we are effectively forced to take a new QB, then Brohm would be the top of my list. But I certainly don't want to see that happen.

Ciao Bella
05-19-2007, 11:35 AM
I love Kenny Philips and would love for him to be in a Falcons uniform. But that said, S is not that big of a need anymore. Actually our secondary is not a big need anymore (Im assuming that Jimmy Williams plays the way he can at S). we really need a OT and i woudl rathe rget one next year if one doesn't step up on our team

BamaFalcon59
05-25-2007, 10:20 PM
Some guys I really like outside of the guys ya'll listed...

I'll post Black's breakdowns...

6. Andre Brown NC. State*
2006 statistics 658 5.3 4 TD
measurables 6'0 240

-I projected many QB’s and here is my first projection for a running back. Brown has been a solid back in the ACC, but not great. I believe this year that will change. Big time recruit out of HS rushing for over 3,000 yards as a senior and being one of the most highly sought after recruits in the country. Good measurables all across the board, but has not been the kind of work horse that you would expect. Seems as if he only performs well against Florida State and then after that tails off. Is not a great receiver or blocker. Was outperformed by Toney Baker in Spring football. So far has been more of a Chris Henry instead of a Jamal Lewis. Tom O’Brien knows how to get the most out of talented running backs, and I see this as the year Brown becomes a force in the ACC (and not just FSU)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MQz4EJoY0aU

1. Malcolm Kelly Oklahoma*
2006 statistics 62 receptions 993 yards 10 TD
measurables 6'4 218

-Kelly still has not received the hype of a top 10 pick in the draft but I think that changes after this season. He has the size the scouts are looking for, and has a very strong makeup. Outstanding hands and can also gain yardage after the catch. Has Roy Williams type potential (but not quite as fast) and should be more consistent this season. Struggled against the secondary of Texas and disappeared at times in a few games Great blocker down field and reportedly had fantastic work ethic. These qualities show a determination to improve which gives me reason to put him as my top WR going into the season.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=T9W7nTi4JFQ

3. Earl Bennett Vanderbilt*
2006 statistics 82 receptions 1,146 6 TD
measurables 6'0 200

-A sensation ever since he stepped unto the Vanderbilt football field he is one of those under the radar prospects capable of becoming a household name. Although he does not have elite timed speed, he is a strong route runner with great hands. Rewrote the Vanderbilt record books the past two season and will only continue to get better. Was not a big time recruit out of high school and is not overly big, but plays with a physical nature. Solid run blocker with good hand-eye coordination. Struggled at times last season with consistency but most of it can be traced back to the QB. Against John Wade and Fred Bennett was held to 32 yards receiving on 8 catches. Could add a few more pounds. Could get the Sidney Rice treatment if he doesn’t have a tremendous junior season (although it would be unfair)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2-2yd_EPqB8

4. Limas Sweed Texas
2006 statistics 46 receptions 801 yards 12 TD
measurables 6'4 215

-Sweed seemingly has been the “next big thing” at Texas for a long time. Although he became a big time redzone threat and Colt McCoy’s favorite target he still needs to polish his game. He does not have elite speed which may end up hurting him a lot come draft time. If Dwayne Jarrett fell to the 2nd round with head over heels better production than Sweed I can only imagine the criticism Sweed will garner. Big tall target, with long arms and the ability to stretch out for an overthrown ball. Good body control and does a solid job of catching the ball at its highest point. Still is inconsistent and not as good as his hype would suggest. Where was he in losses to Texas A&M and Ohio State? Good possession receiver, that will go over the middle and catch the ball in traffic.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=C0Fln9FU4C0

7. D.J. Hall Alabama
2006 statistics 62 receptions 1,056 5 TD
measurables 6'4 195

-Hall is quickly becoming one of the best receivers in Alabama history and is looking like a top prospect. Had seven 100 yard games in 2006 including games against Tennessee, LSU, Arkansas, and Florida. Santana Moss once said” big time players make big time plays in big times games”, and if that’s not big time, then I don’t know what is. The talent from Florida has the height you like in today’s type of receiver but he is a bit on the lanky side. He struggled against press and double coverage against Auburn in the Iron Bowl and was held to one catch. Needs to get stronger and learn to beat the jam at the line. Not a strong blocker and has missed some time due to injury. Good, but not great timed speed. Runs solid routes and has good hands. Still improving which means he has a tremendous amount of upside. In my opinion he is a better prospect than Sidney Rice was last year.

9. Adarius Bowan Oklahoma State
2006 statistics 60 receptions 1,181 12 TD
measurables 6'4 215

-Its almost an injustice for me to have Bowman rated this low. He is a 1st round potential prospect with the measurables you look for as far as size and that breakout year he needed to have. Same size as Sweed but looks to be a tad bit faster on tape. Who can forget his 13 catch 300 yard performance along with 4 touchdowns against Kansas. Was a two time Mr. Football performer in High School and transferred to Oklahoma State after originally signing and playing for North Carolina as one of the top recruits in the country. Needs to perfect his route running and continue to play at a high level and dominate week in and week out.

18. Mario Urrutia Louisville
2006 statistics 58 receptions 978 6 TD
measurables 6'6 220

Is it normal to have this many 6'6 receivers in a class? Like Monk and Hardy, Urrutia is a big target capable of catching jump balls and going deep. I like Urrutia as a better deep threat than Hardy and Monk but he still plays too finesse at times. Has to realize that he is not a speed demon and learn to become more physical like a Keyshawn Johnson type. Has decent speed and good hands. Made the right decision by returning to school as he still has much to improve.

4. Lawrence Jackson USC
2006 statistics 43 tackles 4 sacks
measurables 6'5 270

-Had a slump for his junior season but returns with a chip on his shoulder. All Pac 10 performer with 10 sacks as a sophomore and has the ability to be a top 10 pick. Three year starter with good moves. Surrounded by a lot of talent, but ended up being the guy every team wanted to stop. Has room to grow but must do so without losing his quickness. More potential than former Trojan 1st round pick Keneechi Udeze. Needs to have a good bounce back season and prove he is not in the form of Quentin Moses.

5. Louis Holmes Arizona
2006 statistics 36 tackles 4 sacks
measurables 6'6 270
-Came to Arizona as the most touted JUCO transfer in the country. Was originally slated to be a pass rushing DT in the form of a Warren Sapp but instead become a DE. Did not dominant like he was expected to in his first season but if spring is any indication he is ready to break out. Great size, long wingspan and very strong. Has tremendous speed and could run in the 4.6 range at the combine if he maintains his current size. Stoops really believes Holmes will develop into one of the Pac 10's most ferocious pass rushers. Could be the Reggie Nelson of the defensive line as he can now focus more on football after struggling to get accustomed to the classroom. Does not have many pass rush moves yet but is really good against the run. Arizona’s defense has the potential to really shine with Holmes being the star.

8. Vernon Gholston Ohio State*
2006 statistics 49 tackles 8.5 sacks 15 TFL
measurables 6'4 260

-Fast rising prospect that may be most famous for his chizled shirtless picture that has been circulating around the internet. Strong upper body strength and can drive a bigger OT backwards. Stout against the run and improving as a pass rusher. Came to Columbus as a Linebacker but has quickly blossomed into a team leader on the line. Suffered a season ending injury in 2005 but bounced back. Not as dominant every down as many people think, but was a big time surprise last season and has the mind set to improve.

2. DeMario Pressley N.C. State
2006 statistics 34 tackles 2 sacks
measurables 6'4 295

-I love Pressley, and in my opinion he has the chance to be better than any of the N.C. State lineman that have come out the past few years. Excellent quickness and burst. Came get into the backfield in a hurry and knows how to track down the ball carrier. Former five star blue-chip recruit that has been a solid contributor in the rotation, but has never been the main guy. That will change this season, as he will become the leader in the middle. Great size and the ability to become a top pass rusher. Versatile enough to play defensive end in a 34 scheme, where he often plays with the Pack.

4. Sedrick Ellis USC
2006 statistics 34 tackles 4.5 sacks
measurables 6'1 295

-Ellis quietly had a very productive season, but should make a lot more noise for his senior year. Can rush the passer effectively and should be one of the best runners for a DT at the combine. Two year starter that was the best defensive lineman on a talented front last season. A bit on the short side, but plays bigger than he is listed. Was a force against the Michigan offensive line in the Rose Bowl.

7. Red Bryant Texas A&M
2006 statistics 19 tackles 1 Sack
measurables 6'6 330

-Talk about upside, Bryant is the kind of tackle that have NFL scouts drooling. A man amongst boys physically, Red combines good movements on a tremendously strong frame. Now he has to learn to use that big body in his favor. Did not play vs Texas or Oklahoma and struggled with a few injuries all through the season. Did not have a big impact on the team. Regressed greatly from his sophomore season and did not have the year many envisioned. Has the tools you look for, but if he cant stay healthy then he will be a wasted talent. As of now he is still pretty boom or bust an could go anywhere from the top 10 to a late 2nd day pick depending on how he plays his senior season.

9. Dre Moore Maryland
2006 statistics 47 Tackles 7.5 TFL 3.5 Sacks
measurables 6'4 315

-Moore looks like the best DT prospect out of Maryland since Kris Jenkings and a better than Randy Starks. His stock is on the rise and the staff firmly believes he is special Has excellent size and range and is a good pass rusher from the NT spot. Has not been as dominating as you would want or expect from someone with his talents, but that could change for his senior season. Could be the strongest player on the team, and reportedly ran in the 4.8 range during the off-season. Could be another prospect in the list of Terripin freaks to enter the draft (Merriman/Vernon Davis).

D-Rod
05-26-2007, 06:52 AM
I'd love to pick up either Red Bryant or Dre Moore with our highest 2nd rounder. One is likely to slip.

Elite LT with our first, then NT and RB in the 2nd, and SS in the 3rd. That'll do nicely.

BamaFalcon59
05-26-2007, 09:54 AM
I'd love to pick up either Red Bryant or Dre Moore with our highest 2nd rounder. One is likely to slip.

Elite LT with our first, then NT and RB in the 2nd, and SS in the 3rd. That'll do nicely.

We need to get another 2nd round pick IMO. We need the listed positions, but I really want a MLB too. If Ray M. and Laurinaitis don't declare then maybe we can hold off, but if they declare next year will be amazing for MLBs.

Sr.
Dan Conor, Penn. State
Jasper Brinkly, South Carolina
Vince Hall, Virginia Tech.
Jonathan Goff, Vandy

Jr.
James Laurinatis Ohio State
Rey Maualuga USC

Then there are some others who could play MLB in Zimmer's fast defense. Like Brian Cushing (USC), Shawn Crable (Michigan), and Erin Henderson (Jr., Maryland).

D-Rod
05-26-2007, 03:15 PM
I still have some faith in Jordan Beck. And even if he doesn't make it at MLB, I think he might have a chance as a SS. He's got the athleticism, but I don't know about the coverage skills.

Also, I think that McKay will continue to look for LBs in the 3rd / 4th rounds. He's done pretty well so far.

But you're right, it's a peachy draft for MLB. So if a 1st round grader slpis to the 2nd, he would be an option. I like Brinkley, personally.

supermario86
05-26-2007, 04:07 PM
Micheal Oher would be great!

thefalconer
05-26-2007, 09:10 PM
laurinatis or crable would be great!

d34ng3l021
05-29-2007, 07:58 PM
So what do you guys think are going to be our biggest needs in this draft?

Heres my list.

1. LT
2. SS
3. NT

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
05-30-2007, 09:26 AM
I want an LT first, if there's still a top-flight prospect where we pick, if not, then Ray Maulauga if he's available. This guy's a stud, and will be one in the NFL from day 1.

iloxygenil
05-30-2007, 10:29 AM
I'm a big fan of us getting a guy like Sam Baker. That'd prolly be pretty amazing with him next to Blalock Datish Forney and Weiner (for now) I would LOVE to have a solid OL like that.

d34ng3l021
07-09-2007, 09:42 PM
I love Baker as well. But who knows now...if we do invest in Gaither, we might not spend a 1st round pick on an OT.

d34ng3l021
09-02-2007, 02:36 AM
My sig is pretty rockin.

d34ng3l021
09-10-2007, 01:37 AM
I like Dan Connor in the 2nd.

iloxygenil
09-10-2007, 09:50 AM
Dan Connor won't be there in the 2nd round. He's thought of much higher than Poz.

d34ng3l021
09-10-2007, 01:53 PM
Dude. Poz was one of the top LB around this time of the year too. Connor is bound to drop. Trust me.

iloxygenil
09-11-2007, 01:06 AM
Connor won't drop...

d34ng3l021
09-11-2007, 01:44 AM
He will drop.

iloxygenil
09-11-2007, 10:35 AM
Okay...we'll see in like 200 something days.

d34ng3l021
09-11-2007, 04:14 PM
Here are my top5 prospects (revisited) that I want on the Falcons.

1. Brian Brohm
http://www.thesportstruth.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/brian-brohm.jpg

See my Brian Brohm thread.

2. Sam Baker
http://www.dailycal.org/images/art/11.20.football.PORTERFIELD.jpg

Wayne Gandy is way too old. His pass blocking is terrible. Theres no way we can have a successful QB or offense unless we upgrade at the LT position. Sam Baker is a 2 time All American and has played in a pass happy offense in the Pac 10. He comes in here and will be an immediate upgrade over Gandy. He could come in and be our best pass blocker for ages and will protect Harrington's or our future QB's blindside for a long time.

3. Andre Woodson
http://images.rollbamaroll.com/images/admin/woodson.jpg

Though I believe Harrington will do okay this season, we need a topflight QB. Woodson can be this years Russell and might climb draft boards like crazy come draft time. He has the size (6'5") to see over the top of lineman and have good vision. He has a great arm and good accuracy as well. His mobility isnt too shabby either. He plays in the toughest conference in football (SEC) and put up terrific stats last year. 3500 yards, 31 TDs, 7 ints. Many of those stats outdid Russell. His upside looks very good.

4. Jake Long
http://static.flickr.com/144/322325017_342081acda_o.jpg

See a pattern here? We need to address LT or QB in the draft, if we are picking top5, top10. These are by far our weakest positions. Jake Long fits the bill of what we need very well. He is a big tough guy who will dominate in the run game and excel in pass coverage as well. Many have him ahead of Sam Baker in positional rankings, and he would fit this Petrino schemed offense very well.

5. Rey Maualuga
http://www.ocregister.com/newsimages/sports/2006/09/21_usc_lrg.jpg

This is so far, the only defensive player I want in the first round (Kenny Phillips would be nice...but a luxury. We have bigger needs) (This is assuming we are picking top15). Rey is a fierce MLB who has the insticts and talent to succeed at the next level. Our MLB is slowing down, almost exponentially. Brooking is no longer who he used to be. He is slow and racks up most his tackles 8-10 yards downfield. Rey would come here and slowly ease himself into the starting line up and be a contender for DROTY honors. Our defense could be dominant with him, Jamaal Anderson, DeAngelo Hall, Chris Houston, and Jimmy Williams living up to their potential.

I also hella want DeSean Jackson, and wouldnt mind if we got him.

Shiver
09-11-2007, 04:33 PM
My top-5 as of now:

http://www.thesportstruth.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/brian_brohm.jpg

Brian Brohm would be the absolute perfect selection. He has everything you could want from a QB, big arm, smart, leader, accurate, already knows Petrino's terminology, etc.

http://www.asuwebdevil.com/images/issues/psports-football1-web102439.jpg

Sam Baker would make a monster left side of the line if we put him with Justin Blalock. I like him more than the two top-5 lineman from last year's draft.

http://espn-ak.starwave.com/photo/2007/0101/ncf_w_dorsey_195.jpg

The best DT prospect I've ever seen with my own eyes. He is a force and DT is clearly a large need.

http://www.razorbacklegacy.com/hog_archive/albums/yearly_photos/2005/auburn/normal_2005_auburn_darren_mcfadden.jpg

Just like McKay would have taken Peterson had he fallen to us, McKay would jump all over McFadden if he were the best player available.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/lou/galleries/fb_090405/uk3-lg.jpg

Woodson actually had better production than Russell last year against common opponents. He has talent to be sure and Petrino should be familiar with him, not to the degree with Brohm, but still fairly well.

d34ng3l021
09-11-2007, 04:47 PM
My top-5 as of now:

http://www.thesportstruth.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/brian_brohm.jpg

Brian Brohm would be the absolute perfect selection. He has everything you could want from a QB, big arm, smart, leader, accurate, already knows Petrino's terminology, etc.

http://www.asuwebdevil.com/images/issues/psports-football1-web102439.jpg

Sam Baker would make a monster left side of the line if we put him with Justin Blalock. I like him more than the two top-5 lineman from last year's draft.

http://espn-ak.starwave.com/photo/2007/0101/ncf_w_dorsey_195.jpg

The best DT prospect I've ever seen with my own eyes. He is a force and DT is clearly a large need.

http://www.razorbacklegacy.com/hog_archive/albums/yearly_photos/2005/auburn/normal_2005_auburn_darren_mcfadden.jpg

Just like McKay would have taken Peterson had he fallen to us, McKay would jump all over McFadden if he were the best player available.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/lou/galleries/fb_090405/uk3-lg.jpg

Woodson actually had better production than Russell last year against common opponents. He has talent to be sure and Petrino should be familiar with him, not to the degree with Brohm, but still fairly well.

Oh McFadden. Forgot about it. I would put him at number 4 in my list.

And about Dorsey, he would be playing UT?

thefalconer
09-11-2007, 05:08 PM
@woodson - he played better than jamarcus against the same opponents and with obviously less talented team.

Shiver
09-11-2007, 05:17 PM
Yeah he would be. Rod Coleman's clearly on his last legs and Dorsey would be an instant impact player.

ATLDirtyBirds
09-11-2007, 07:24 PM
1. Andre Woodson
1a. Brian Brohm
2. Darren McFadden
3. DeSean Jackson
4. Glenn Dorsey
5. Sam Baker

iloxygenil
09-11-2007, 08:33 PM
1.) Sam Baker (top 5)
2.) Darren McFadden (top 5)
3.) Brian Brohm (top 10)
4.) DeSean Jackson (top 10)
5.) Rey Maluga (top 10)
5a.) Kenny Phillips (top 15)
5b.) Jake Long (only if we're picking around 15)

Other players I like for us are...
Tashard Choice
Mike Hart (HUGE fan of his, he's so strong and has incredible intensity)
Sleeper at RB:
Stewart from Oregon...wow. (not a 'sleeper' per say, but someone I would LOVE to see running the ball for us)

Shiver
09-14-2007, 03:33 AM
1. Andre Woodson
1a. Brian Brohm
2. Darren McFadden
3. DeSean Jackson
4. Glenn Dorsey
5. Sam Baker

If we had any other coach I would actually prefer Woodson. I think he's faced tougher competition and offers tremendous physical upside. It's just too perfect a fit if Brohm is available though. I hope Woodson ends up passing Brohm and goes #1 and then Brohm falls to Atlanta.

ATLDirtyBirds
09-14-2007, 05:00 AM
If we had any other coach I would actually prefer Woodson. I think he's faced tougher competition and offers tremendous physical upside. It's just too perfect a fit if Brohm is available though. I hope Woodson ends up passing Brohm and goes #1 and then Brohm falls to Atlanta.

I see what you are saying, and agree with it somewhat. I think that the upside of Woodson is too much to pass up though.

iloxygenil
09-14-2007, 10:27 AM
I really at this point haven't made any final judgments on which QB I favor. I'm still liking Colt Brennan's deep ball, I also like John David Booty's ability to make plays. I'm just not sure which QB is going to emerge as my #1 favorite until I see more games of all of them.

D-Rod
09-14-2007, 11:23 AM
I see what you are saying, and agree with it somewhat. I think that the upside of Woodson is too much to pass up though.

Woodson's upside is greater than Brohm, no doubt, but we've seen enough "upside busts" for me to be scared. What most assures QB success in the NFL is accuracy and smarts. Brohm has proven more consistently than Woodson that he throws an accurate ball at various distances, and doesn't make stupid mistakes. That's what I want.

Brohm may never be a top 5 QB in the league - though there's nothing to suggest that he won't, criticism of his arm strength is overrated - but what I've seen suggests that he'll be CONSISTENTLY top 10. That's plenty good enough for me, without the risk inherent in selecting someone like Woodson who hasn't shown such consistency.

That said, I take it all back if Woodson has another consistent year...

iloxygenil
09-14-2007, 01:30 PM
Yeah, from my QB I don't want a boom / bust pick, I want a good pick. I want my QB to manage the game, put us in position to win, but letting the playmakers make the plays instead of being the playmaker. That's where Vick's problem was for me, he was the only playmaker on our offense. So he had to rely on self more often times than not. So to me that's why I think Joey is good ENOUGH.

Shiver
09-14-2007, 02:39 PM
The thing about Woodson is he doesn't look like a boom/bust pick. He's going to finish with three years of tremendous success in the SEC and brings all the physical tools you could want. He actually had a more productive year than Jamarcus Russell did as a Junior and he should only improve on last year. I know I'm going to pay a lot of attention to the Louisville/Kentucky game this weekend.

iloxygenil
09-14-2007, 04:21 PM
Yeah, no doubt.

BamaFalcon59
09-15-2007, 12:49 AM
If I take a QB top 5, I expect him to be elite. A good QB can be found for this system in round 2 I believe, so if we really like Brohm I would hope he turns out elite. Because, IMO, McFadden will be a dominant back in the NFL. Glenn Dorsey is almost assured to be a top defensive tackle. Dito for DeSean Jackson (at everything rather than a super-productive WR), Jake Long, Sam Baker, Kenny Phillips, etc..

D-Rod
09-15-2007, 10:12 AM
The thing about Woodson is he doesn't look like a boom/bust pick. He's going to finish with three years of tremendous success in the SEC and brings all the physical tools you could want. He actually had a more productive year than Jamarcus Russell did as a Junior and he should only improve on last year. I know I'm going to pay a lot of attention to the Louisville/Kentucky game this weekend.

He's only had one year of success, though it was admittedly a very good year. In 2005 he had a 57% comp rate, and 6 INTs to his 6 TDs.

If his 2007 is as good as his 2006, then fine, he'll have the consistent production to match his upside. I've certainly got no problem with Woodson as a potential QB for us. But if I had to choose today, I'd take Brohm, just because he has proven more consistent. (Luckily, we have another 7 months - not that I get to decide anyway!!)

By the way, how good does this look, and it's not exactly unrealistic:

1: Brohm/Woodson
2a: Jon Stewart
2b: Richardson/Hills/Cherilus
3: Red Bryant

That's pretty much our top 4 immediate needs dealt with.

iloxygenil
09-15-2007, 10:41 AM
Stewart in round 2 would be SPECTACULAR. I am a HUGE fan of this kid now. We need a runner who can put his head down and pickup the extra yards after contact, and if he's there in the 2nd I think he'd be a steal...really. I just don't know if he can last that long, but if Stewart isn't there maybe Tashard Choice would be a good option for us there. I'm really sold that we need to fix our LT situation and I don't see any FA pickups that we'll be able to get.

And depending on how this Vick bonus case plays out, we could have enough $$$ to swing a big stick in free agency. So Michael Turner is an option for us at that point. I'm not so sure he's going to be the answer, but I like his physical running style. Barber III is also someone we could look at. So I think we'll have to make a couple big FA pickups, I think offense has to be our big focus. We're really young on defense now, and there are only a couple spots are are going to need to address there. Strong Safety (which I think Stone could play just fine) and then MLB Brooking is getting older, we need someone who is going to be legit in the middle...is Taylor that guy? I don't know, but I do know that if Rey comes out I feel a lot better about him being back there, if not then if Vince Hall slips down in the draft he'd be a good developmental pick.

ATLDirtyBirds
09-15-2007, 06:38 PM

Not to mention, LSU is surrounding JRussell with alot more talent than Kentucky.

ATLDirtyBirds
09-15-2007, 10:03 PM
Screw this. Give me McFadden/Dixon

BuckNaked
09-15-2007, 10:10 PM
So, you guys should want Woodson now. He had a Brady esque performance, you know without the cheating and all that.

Shiver
09-15-2007, 10:13 PM
So, you guys should want Woodson now. He had a Brady esque performance, you know without the cheating and all that.

Right now I think it's too early. It's based on the assumption that Brohm's status as a top flight QB prospect holds and that is by no means secure. The only reason I would want Brohm is the connection to Petrino. He would be almost a sure thing, playing in an offense that he already has played in and had tremendous success.

That being said I like Andre Woodson more as an overall prospect, and maybe even Matt Ryan. People thought Petrino would take Amobi Okoye and Michael Bush because they played for him and were players at positions of need and he passed on not one but both of them. So that shows that Petrino isn't just going to go the Nick Saban route and add a bunch of Big East/Louisville guys.

DraftMichaelHuff
09-16-2007, 08:17 AM
aww...Just as i start to like Brohm as much i do Woodson that happens. Say hello once again to Mr ProWoodson. I have a feeling we are all going to go back and fourth on the two of em all year long

09-16-2007, 09:12 AM
aww...Just as i start to like Brohm as much i do Woodson that happens. Say hello once again to Mr ProWoodson. I have a feeling we are all going to go back and fourth on the two of em all year long

ive changed my mind on andre woodson. he deserves to be called a franchise QB.

D-Rod
09-16-2007, 11:27 AM
And Matt Ryan looked good too... a good year, and he could start getting proper top 15 consideration.

BamaFalcon59
09-16-2007, 11:49 AM
I was impressed by Woodson, Brohm, and McFadden. But McFadden, IMO, is the best prospect of the 3. There are a ton of talented QBs in this draft, whereas the RB class could be very shallow to very good.

But McFadden is just an absolute stud. Right now this looks good to me...

R1: Darren McFadden, RB Arkansas
R2A: Sam Keller, QB Nebraska
R2B: Sedrick Ellis, DT Southern California/ Heath Benedict, OT Newberry
R3: Chris Williams, OT Vanderbuilt/ Ben Moffitt, MLB South Florida

I looked for a DT in round 3, but didn't really like any of them. Ellis is likely gone before our early round 2 pick as well.

BamaFalcon59
09-16-2007, 11:56 AM
Oh, and I really like Harry Douglas after finally paying attention to him (you had to with his night). Looked great. Fast, good hands, looked like a good route runner, and not short (5'11). He is light in the pants but looks like a very good WR.

If we grab a WR other than DeSean Jackson I like Douglas.

Shiver
09-17-2007, 01:38 AM
And Matt Ryan looked good too... a good year, and he could start getting proper top 15 consideration.

His production and physical tools are just gaudy. I am calling that by April Ryan will have passed Brohm as the #2.

Oh, and I really like Harry Douglas after finally paying attention to him (you had to with his night). Looked great. Fast, good hands, looked like a good route runner, and not short (5'11). He is light in the pants but looks like a very good WR.

If we grab a WR other than DeSean Jackson I like Douglas.

Is it just me or is he a lot like Lee Evans?

Shiver
09-17-2007, 01:44 AM
I was impressed by Woodson, Brohm, and McFadden. But McFadden, IMO, is the best prospect of the 3. There are a ton of talented QBs in this draft, whereas the RB class could be very shallow to very good.

But McFadden is just an absolute stud. Right now this looks good to me...

R1: Darren McFadden, RB Arkansas
R2A: Sam Keller, QB Nebraska
R2B: Sedrick Ellis, DT Southern California/ Heath Benedict, OT Newberry
R3: Chris Williams, OT Vanderbuilt/ Ben Moffitt, MLB South Florida

I looked for a DT in round 3, but didn't really like any of them. Ellis is likely gone before our early round 2 pick as well.

Sedrick Ellis looked like a top-15 pick against Nebraska. He blew me away while I watched that game. The only DT that's impressed me more is Dorsey.

As for McFadden. I love him as a prospect. I just have a hard time justifying taking a RB when O-Line and QB are such pressing issues with the team. RB is the kind of position that can be filled by a 2nd/3rd round pick, or a veteran FA. What top-10 RBs have lived up to the draft position lately? LaDainian Tomlinson and Adrian Peterson are alone in my books. There are too many very good starters that weren't high draft picks.

If it were up to me I would go:

QB
LT
DT
RB

In whichever order that came down to B.P.A. on day-1.

d34ng3l021
09-17-2007, 01:53 PM
Damn. Whats the deal with this Matt Ryan? He seems to be pretty high on alot of draft boards...

Shiver
09-17-2007, 02:40 PM
Damn. Whats the deal with this Matt Ryan? He seems to be pretty high on alot of draft boards...

He's highly productive and has great physical tools. He also plays in a pro-style offense, which is something Brohm and Brennan cannot say. His only problem is he is a 'gunslinger.'

iloxygenil
09-17-2007, 04:26 PM
Round 1: Sam Baker
Round 2: Jonathan Stewart
Round 2: Matt Ryan

Sounds pretty sexy to me...

DraftMichaelHuff
09-17-2007, 07:00 PM
If we assume Matt Ryan is there in the 2nd (which i highley doubt he will be) id have to say
1. Darren McFadden
2. Matt Ryan
2 (b) Barry Richardson
3. Red Bryant

Now Ryan and Richardson might both go higher, but here we have got tremendous value. We have a QB with as much upside as any, a LT who has the potential to be an all pro, a Nose Tackle built like John Henderson and we have done all this without having to use the 1st rounder. With that first rounder we are able to take the best back to ever come out of college. Jerious Norwood can be his Felix Jones for the Next 10 years. ATM he shares carries so it wouldnt be to much of a problem for him

QB Matt Ryan
RB McFadden Norwood
FB Ovie
WR White Robinson Jenkins
TE Crump
LT Richardson
LG Blaylock
C Datish
RG Forney
RT Weiner (soon to be Renardo Forster)

Now thats an dangerous offence for the next decade. The thought of McFadden in the same backfeild as Norwood and Matt Ryan is amazing. Just stop for a second and look at that offence, play makers at every position and 2 at running back. This what it would be like to have Norwood spell Steven Jackson, that's what our running game would be like with McFadden.

As for McFadden. I love him as a prospect. I just have a hard time justifying taking a RB when O-Line and QB are such pressing issues with the team. RB is the kind of position that can be filled by a 2nd/3rd round pick, or a veteran FA. What top-10 RBs have lived up to the draft position lately? LaDainian Tomlinson and Adrian Peterson are alone in my books. There are too many very good starters that weren't high draft picks.

I agree but i think most of the RB you speak of are manufactured top 10 RBs, by that i mean their physical tools enamour scouts to the extent where they believe they will overcome a) not carrying the full load in college ie Ronnie Brown or b) Not performing one aspect of the RB position to the ability of whats required in the NFL ie running between the tackles, and consequently these backs are taken higher than they warrent selection .

Now, McFadden is a pure runner, he has no question marks, he is like Adrian Peterson just a little bigger a little younger and with no injury concerns. I think McFadden, AD and Steven Jackson will be the top 3 backs in the league in 2 years

BamaFalcon59
09-17-2007, 09:29 PM
Round 1: Sam Baker
Round 2: Jonathan Stewart
Round 2: Matt Ryan

Sounds pretty sexy to me...

Although things can change, I doubt Ryan or Stewart go in round 2. Stewart might finally become productive this year and his combine will be stellar. Ryan has looked lights out.

BamaFalcon59
09-17-2007, 09:36 PM
Sedrick Ellis looked like a top-15 pick against Nebraska. He blew me away while I watched that game. The only DT that's impressed me more is Dorsey.

If it were up to me I would go:

QB
LT
DT
RB

In whichever order that came down to B.P.A. on day-1.

I see, at the moment, McFadden as the top prospect in the draft. He has that combination of potential, production, and all around game that is hard to find in a runningback. He's just so dominant. Maybe it's because I wanted Peterson last year, I don't know.

I like Dorsey and Ellis a lot, but I have some faith in Babineux and doubt Petrino's 'big man' philosophy would allow two undersized defensive tackles fit for the 3-technique. Dorsey has size but I would still say he is best suited as a 3-technique. Great prospect though.

On the offensive line tackle looks pretty deep at the top this year. I really like Barry Richardson but think he ends up in the top half of round 1 as the third offensive tackle chosen.

QB is also deep, although the depth may be gone by the time round 2 rolls around. I do, however, expect Sam Keller, Chad Henne, and maybe one of the other top guys to be around.

As for top 10 runningbacks not dominating, I don't consider many of them on McFadden's level. Since I have followed the draft (2005; got real into it in '06) Ronnie Brown, Cedric Benson, Cadillac Williams, Reggie Bush, and Adrian Peterson have went top 10. Only Peterson would I consider over McFadden, and that's close. Bush I'm not a fan of, but he should be something in this league one day. McFadden is clearly, IMO, a better prospect than any of the 2004 RBs.

D-Rod
09-18-2007, 10:08 AM
I agree that McFadden is far and away the best of the RBs this year, and also the best overall prospect this year. However, I just don't feel that he is the guy to get this team back on track. Simply, a great RB cannot have nearly the same long-term impact as a great QB or great O-line.

It is conventional wisdom, and I agree, that you cannot pass on a franchise QB unless you already have one. We don't have one, and the way this season has started, we are likely to have our choice of the QBs this year. At the very least, we are likely to have a shot at either Woodson or Brohm (and Ryan is putting himself in that same bracket).

I agree that there is good depth to the QBs this year, but there will be good reasons for a QB falling to the second round: whether it is inconsistency, system concerns, or character (I can't see us selecting Brennan, regardless of the apparent turnaround).

Simply put, you don't mess around when choosing a franchise QB. You take the best one you can get your hands on.

It is true that a good run game takes pressure off the QB, but also you can't have a good run game without a good O-line (and a QB good enough to stop the 8-in-the-box), however good the RB. Since we already have a good RB, albeit not as great as DMC, I think it is much more important to address QB and LT before worrying about RB.

Shiver
09-18-2007, 11:47 AM
I have never been in favor of taking RB in the top-10. The position just doesn't warrant it and a lot of the 'backs who go there do not live up to it, unless you are LaDainian Tomlinson and evidently Adrian Peterson. There will always be quality at RB in late day-1 and even into day-2. I love Darren McFadden, but if the team takes him over a franchise QB like Woodson or a franchise LT like Baker then I will be mad.

d34ng3l021
09-18-2007, 06:01 PM
Yeah. And I dont know why we need to studs at RB. We have Norwood...All we need to do is add a powerback, and use our first on a LT or QB.

iloxygenil
09-18-2007, 08:21 PM
I like the Chargers model...get LT which the closest thing to him ever is McFadden, then take a QB in round 2, the QB took a couple years but it worked out for them, then have a high draft pick take over for him later...and they were then able to go with offensive linemen. I would be very happy with McFadden as our primary RB.

ATLDirtyBirds
09-18-2007, 08:25 PM
I have never been in favor of taking RB in the top-10. The position just doesn't warrant it and a lot of the 'backs who go there do not live up to it, unless you are LaDainian Tomlinson and evidently Adrian Peterson. There will always be quality at RB in late day-1 and even into day-2. I love Darren McFadden, but if the team takes him over a franchise QB like Woodson or a franchise LT like Baker then I will be mad.

I could live with it. McFadden strikes me as a dominating type of back.

Shiver
09-19-2007, 12:18 AM
I think it's one of those things that I would be uneasy about prior to the draft but if they took him I would warm up to it really fast. I had the same love/hate feeling about drafting Adrian Peterson this year.

ATLDirtyBirds
09-19-2007, 05:00 AM
I think it's one of those things that I would be uneasy about prior to the draft but if they took him I would warm up to it really fast. I had the same love/hate feeling about drafting Adrian Peterson this year.

I hear you. I feel somewhat similarly. Woodson is probably what this team needs most, but I couldn't possibily be upset with draft McFadden, who is just so amazing.

D-Rod
09-19-2007, 05:12 AM
Likewise. I'd be pissed for at least a week if we took McFadden over a franchise QB or LT, but after watching a few DMC highlights, I'd probably persuade myself that it would work out.

iloxygenil
09-19-2007, 09:11 AM
I'm on the McFadden train that's for sure. He's got the size to make it in the NFL and take the hits he's going to take. He's got the potential to be really nasty, and it'd be a big help to have that all world type back who can pound the ball but still get outside as well. Sure we have Norwood who I think is going to be a STUD if we'd get over wanting to use Warrick all the time, but sometimes you just have to deal with crap like that, I will be really mad if Warrick costs another RB his career though, and that's what happened with Duckett, that guy could have been a monster for us.

D-Rod
09-24-2007, 05:14 AM
After watching the last game, the biggest problem with our team is not the offense, but the middle of our defense. The defense is pretty good against the pass, but we simply have to be able to stop the run. Brooking hasn't made a single impact play against the run all season.

I really hope that either Harrington or Leftwich can make a play for a long-term spot, because we need to address weaknesses other than QB.

We need a DT, whether it be Dorsey in the 1st, Okam in the 2nd (big guys tend to fall, blame it on gravity), or Bryant in the 3rd. We also need to address MLB. Brooking is not getting it done. He may be a team leader, but we need production too. Likewise with Milloy. Hopefully, over the course of the season, some other guys (like Boley, Abraham, Hall) step up as leaders, and enable us to upgrade those who have simply gotten too old.

A fix based purely on last night's game (obviously everything may change over the season, but...):

Invite Brooking and Milloy to retire gracefully. If we get some money from Vick, we could use it to bring in Karlos Dansby to be an impact Mike - hopefully that would turn out better than the Hartwell experiment. Crocker moves to SS and JW starts at FS.

Draft Jake Long with our first pick, then hope for Frank Okam with our 2nd pick (this may seem strange right now, but I can't help but think he'll suffer the Branch treatment). Then with the other 2nd rounder, we can either take a QB or RB. If we don't get a MLB in FA, then someone like Brinkley might be an option.

DraftMichaelHuff
09-24-2007, 05:44 AM
Invite Brooking and Milloy to retire gracefully. If we get some money from Vick, we could use it to bring in Karlos Dansby to be an impact Mike - hopefully that would turn out better than the Hartwell experiment. Crocker moves to SS and JW starts at FS.

Draft Jake Long with our first pick, then hope for Frank Okam with our 2nd pick (this may seem strange right now, but I can't help but think he'll suffer the Branch treatment). Then with the other 2nd rounder, we can either take a QB or RB. If we don't get a MLB in FA, then someone like Brinkley might be an option.

Karlos Dansby is one of my favourite players in the league. I have been waiting, biding my time for the Free Agency threads to start so i can try to instigate a Dansby bandwagon. The dude is 6"4 250lbs runs a 4.45 and is a beast on the feild. He wont be like Hartwell, the guy is a 4/3 backer all the way. He played OLB in college and thats where id play him for Falcons and id release the 28 year old Demmorio Williams who i love but who continues to take bad angles to the ball, this team needs to be more physical, id stick with Brooking for 1 more year then this is my plan. picture this (if the qbs look being ok for the future....

1st Jake Long
2nd HB
2nd Frank Okam/Red Bryant

1st Rey Maualuga

LBers
LOLB Karlos Dansby MLB Rey Maualuge ROLB Michael Boley
WOW

Also OT Max Starks is a FA this year, all 6"7 340+ of him, the same one who blocks for Willie Parker to hit 130yards week in week out. I might be inclined to feel better about a Vet at LT than a rookie seeing as he is next to Blaylock.

D-Rod
09-24-2007, 06:27 AM
I'm happy with Nicholas taking over at WLB. Personally, I think that Dansby would be better at Mike. He can play any of the three roles, but he's definitely got the size (and experience) to play Mike. He's only playing Will at Arizona because they've moved mostly to 3-4.

Of course, Arizona would be nuts to let him go, but you never know, they're known for being one of the cheaper ownerships in the league. The next problem: we'd have to persuade Dansby to choose us over many other suitors.

However, I really don't think that Brooking has another year in him. He can't get off blockers, and has lost the speed to go from sideline-to-sideline and to cover RBs - hence the Foster receiving TD. You never know, we might be lucky: Maualuga might (wrongly, in my mind) decide to come out this year, and either fall to the 2nd because of inexperience concerns, or push down someone like Brinkley.

If Laurinatis, and Maua both come out, then in addition to OLBs Connor, Rivers and Wheeler, I can't see Brinkley making the first round.

If Harrington or Leftwich show that they can at least muster a couple of competent years, then this might work:

1: Dorsey
2a: Richardson
2b: Brinkley
3: Keller

For running back, I think we can either pick up a bruiser in FA (Turner, if we really flash the cash), or get someone like Green-Ellis or Boyd on the second day.

If Harrington reverts to old form, and Leftwich fails to convince, then QB has to be the 1st pick, and it will take longer to become competitive. Let's hope they show up.

falconsrule
09-24-2007, 09:02 AM
*Even though Harrington had a great day yesterday im ready to see what Leftwich can do, Leftwich deep ball hooking up with Roddy White would be nice.

*The coaching staff have done a great job at getting Roddy White confidence up.Now he is playing like the 1st round pick that we thought he could play like.

*We are a lock for a top 5 pick in next year draft which leads me to this.When your picking in the top 5 you should always go with the "sure pick".Here are a couple of my "sure picks" in next year draft.

1.Darren McFadden(Imagine if teams had to deal with Norwood and McFadden..wow)
2.Glenn Dorsey(We have two ageing DT in Coleman and Grady we need some fresh legs at that spot)
3.Kenny Phillips(Could play either FS or SS two questionable spots of our defense)
4.A young LT to take over for Wanye Grady(Really dont know if Jake Long or Sam Baker are worth taking in the top 5)
5.Andre Woodson.( I really like his pocket presence)

iloxygenil
09-24-2007, 10:32 AM
1.) McFadden
2.) Baker
3.) Woodson / Brohm
4.) Woodson / Brohm
5.) Rey Maualuga

Long doesn't crack my top 5 at all. He's big and strong...but I just don't like his footwork from watching him this season. Baker is the LT that I like.

d34ng3l021
09-30-2007, 02:30 AM
Godamn. I cant pick between Woodson, Brohm, and McFadden. Right now I am at McFadden.

D-Rod
09-30-2007, 10:19 AM
Incidentally, we might need to start looking at CB prospects with one of our 2nd round picks... will depend on whether Petrino and Hall can kiss and make up.

Any one of Thomas, Jenkins, Bowman, or Ikegwuonu could potentially be there at the top of the 2nd.

iloxygenil
09-30-2007, 10:34 AM
We can't afford to give up Hall...we just simply can't. He's too good. We need to get his attitude right, but he's gotta be on this squad.

oldLibid21
09-30-2007, 11:15 AM
So far, my mock draft is...
1) Brohm
2a) Richardson
6a) Art Camody K - Louisville

D-Rod
09-30-2007, 11:58 AM
It'll be a massive loss, but such is life. It's not a done deal yet, but basically Petrino has 13 weeks to win Hall around to his way of thinking. Otherwise it'll be clear that he'll be leaving in FA anyway, so we may as well get something for him.

The year just keeps getting better, doesn't it?

iloxygenil
09-30-2007, 12:05 PM
We're not getting rid of him, they asked McKay about it, he said "we want to get better not worse" Hall's not going anywhere.

D-Rod
09-30-2007, 12:47 PM
He's not going to SAY that's an option. That would totally destroy his poker hand.

It'll totally depend on what happens with Hall over the rest of the season.

d34ng3l021
09-30-2007, 03:37 PM
Harrington and Leftwich are fine. We are taking McFadden

BamaFalcon59
09-30-2007, 04:00 PM
Like I said, lots of QBs can work in this system. We need a RB.

D-Rod
09-30-2007, 04:16 PM
I'm a firm believer that a RB is made by his O-line. We already have a playmaker at RB; yes, we need a bigger guy too, but I think we have bigger problems.

Sure, if McFadden somehow falls to us a little, great; likewise if Jon Stewart lasts til the 2nd. But we can afford to be picky.

I would prioritise our needs thus:

1. OT
2. DT

3. RB
4. MLB
5. QB
6. SS
7. (possibly CB, depending on Hall growing up)

In short, I want a LT and DT with our first two picks, in any order, and after that we can mix and match.

falconsrule
09-30-2007, 10:01 PM
Tell that to LJ who had a pretty good day on the ground behind a really bad OL. I really doubt if there is a LT who is worth a top 10 pick this year.Some people say Long but he looks more like a RT on the next level. I say go with Darren McFadden with our 1st pick because I hate when a team draft off of needs rather than taking the BPA much like we did last year ex.Patrick Willis. If we dont have a shot at McFadden hopefully Dorsey or Phillips is still on the board.

d34ng3l021
10-03-2007, 01:35 PM
What your guyses big board?

1. McFadden
2. Woodson
3. Brohm
4. Baker
5. Dorsey
6. Long
7. Phillips

DraftMichaelHuff
10-03-2007, 06:08 PM
Is dorsey a fit though, arent we after a NT? I'm confussed about that cause you could technically end up with a healthy Coleman a healthy Babineaux and a healthy Trey Lewis (with exp.) all of which would be very good players and all of which are at their best at the UT. The coaches belive Trey is a lil wasted at NT due to his athletism so maybe a pure NT is more the focus.

Or is this whole NT/UT thing rubbish and all you do is try to get the 2 best DT's as possible out there and rely on the fact that Dorsey and Colemen, both less tht 300lbs will be stout at the POA if on the feild together?

Following up that line of thought things get interesting. When i look at the 1st round OT's Jake Long looks good but he also reminds me of Robert Gallery and might be more a RT, Sam Barker is good like Dbrick, but im not sure if he has the raw power to hold up starting as a rookie which is what we need, most franchise LT are 315+lbs. So where does that leave us

Well IMO the best fits at our biggest need positions would be NT's Frank Okam (2nd round) & Red Bryant (3rd round) and OT's Barry Richardson (2nd round) hmm notice something? Our 2008 1st rounder reeks of BPA. Now with Joey playing well, as long as we can get the aformentioned guys in the 2nd, any of Phillips, Mcfadden, rey Maualuga would be great in the 1st. And then you would take a flyer on a QB at the remaining day 1 spot, either the 3rd with the Okam pic or the 2nd if we took Bryant.

Now wouldnt it be nice if we knew what would happen draft day during Free Agency, for example, if we are picking high and we sign Turner and Dmac falls you would kind of wish you had spent money elsewhere, similiarly if we sign a guy like Dansby and Rey maualuga is the only guy at a need on the board when we pick you would kinda wish we had brought in Turner. Obiviously having both Maualuga and Dmac is out of the picture, as is the possibility of Turner and Dansby. So we need to hope for Dansby & Dmac or Turner & Mualaga. Both combinations would be amazing.

F/A HB Michael Turner (to split carries with Norwood 50-50 two of the most contrasting runners in the NFL, would be an amazing two headed beast, Petrino would also have them both in together like the saints do )
Round 1) MLB Rey Maualuga (jr)
Round 2) NT Frank Okam
Round 2) LT Barry Richardson
Round 3) QB Sam Keller

F/A MLB Karlos Dansby
Round 1) HB Darren McFadden (jr)
Round 2) NT Frank Okam
Round 2) LT Barry Richardson
Round 3) QB Sam Keller

How awesome are these?

Rey Maualuga is an all out animal, he wants to inflict pain on anyone he plays, he is an intense crazy human being with great physical tools. He also has cool hair and has one of the coolest names for a LBer Prediction : will be my favourite prospect come draft day.

Also, a guy i am overlooking is Ryan Clady. To me he is the only ideal 1st round OT, i just didnt include him as he is a junior, He has more power and size than Barker, but is more agile and has better footwork that Jake Long. If we pick at #15 i say we grab him. He, like Richardson is a specimen than has all world potential.

BamaFalcon59
10-07-2007, 03:03 AM
Why do people keep calling Sam Baker Sam Barker? Am I missing something?

d34ng3l021
10-16-2007, 04:30 PM
New list.

1. Darren McFadden
2. Jake Long
3. Andre Woodson
4. Brian Brohm
5. Trade down for Matt Ryan

Shiver
10-16-2007, 06:32 PM
It depends a lot on how the front office addresses the free agency period. Right now here is your top targets in each of the three major need positions:

QB

Derek Anderson
Josh McCown
These are two guys that I like as stop-gaps. I think they can be brought in and are good enough to push QB from a 1st round necessity to a 2nd round QB to sit on the bench in the present.

RB

Michael Turner
Julius JonesMichael Turner would be ideal. He is a well rounded RB; combining size, speed, pass catching ability. Julius Jones may not be a great RB, but he is definitely solid. Both of these guys would be great in tandem with Jerious Norwood, who will hopefully be worked into the offense more.

OT

Max StarksHe is the only one that stood out to me. He is massive, only 25 years old, and is a downright road grader. Todd Weiner is decent, although he can certainly be upgraded upon.

I think the team should make a move for one of these players at the least. If they do, that makes the draft much easier. The priority in my mind is QB. If they don't add a solid QB in free agency then you have to take a franchise QB. I don't care how great Darren McFadden is, and I think he is, the fastest way to become a winning franchise is having a great QB. The Falcons will likely have their choice of Ryan, Brohm, or Woodson.

d34ng3l021
04-18-2008, 01:47 PM
This topic rocks.

d34ng3l021
04-26-2008, 10:19 PM
Looks like we got Baker AND Ryan. :)