PDA

View Full Version : Rey Maualuga

MP123
05-07-2007, 08:31 PM
I haven't wathed him play much. Is he more of a 4-3 or 3-4 linebacker?

Paranoidmoonduck
05-07-2007, 08:39 PM
He's enough of an athlete to play either, although it seems he would have a little more opportunity to show of his range and versatility in a 4-3 scheme.

Don Vito
05-07-2007, 09:11 PM
As PMD said, I believe he could succeed in both. As a Pats fan, I would love to see him play ILB in our 3-4 scheme. His size and athleticism make him great fits for either scheme. If he could end up with a team that puts a good, space eating DL in front of him (see Ray Lewis during the Ravens superbowl year), he could really do some great things.

Scotty D
05-07-2007, 09:16 PM
Cover 2 capable?

Don Vito
05-07-2007, 09:19 PM
He weighs like 250 and he isn't that great in coverage, you don't see too many cover 2 ILBs that big. But than again he has some very good athleticism, I think he would be best as a 3-4 ILB or a 4-3 MLB.

aNYtitan
05-07-2007, 09:46 PM
How well does he compare to Dan Connor? Connor is ranked as the best LB in this upcoming draft. How good is Connor as a run stopper and in coverage, I havent seen many Penn St. games so i really don't know much about him

Solomon
05-07-2007, 09:47 PM
He weighs like 250 and he isn't that great in coverage, you don't see too many cover 2 ILBs that big. But than again he has some very good athleticism, I think he would be best as a 3-4 ILB or a 4-3 MLB.

I agree. He is a great thumper and takes on blocks well so a 3-4 might be his best fit. Next Levon Kirkland maybe? When he comes out for the draft he will be a top prospect but will probably still have questions about his coverage ability and his timed speed (even though his game speed is unquestionable).

YAYareaRB
05-07-2007, 10:21 PM
We will draft him.. Willis and Maualuga in the middle would be BEASTLY!!!

Solomon
05-07-2007, 10:49 PM
How well does he compare to Dan Connor? Connor is ranked as the best LB in this upcoming draft. How good is Connor as a run stopper and in coverage, I havent seen many Penn St. games so i really don't know much about him

I think Connor is a better fit as an OLB or as a MLB in a cover 2. He's faster, better in coverage and blitzes pretty well also. He's an every down player.

Rey is bigger, stronger, better at the point and is a harder hitter. Personally I think Rey is the better prospect because linebackers with his size, athleticism and range come along so rarely but Connor certainly has the edge in some key categories.

MP123
05-07-2007, 10:49 PM
We will draft him.. Willis and Maualuga in the middle would be BEASTLY!!!

That would be amazing!!! Willis would be the cover guy and Maualuga would be the run stuffer. Just what you need out of your 3-4 ILB's.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-07-2007, 11:02 PM
Maualuga needs to really become more disciplined if he wants to be an elite middle linebacker prospect in any scheme, but I'm holding off judgment for now until I see the leap he makes this year without Oscar Lua to battle with.

Im_a_Romosexual
05-07-2007, 11:58 PM
He hits like a truck- ask the UCLA QB

YAYareaRB
05-08-2007, 12:13 AM
Maualuga needs to really become more disciplined if he wants to be an elite middle linebacker prospect in any scheme, but I'm holding off judgment for now until I see the leap he makes this year without Oscar Lua to battle with.

I personally thought Maualuga was ALWAYS the better MLB out of the two.

pierce2walker
05-08-2007, 12:20 AM
He hits like a truck- ask the UCLA QB

Haha I was actually at that game and that hit was definitely big, but what you dont see in the highlight was that Cowan was the FIRST player up out of that pile...he popped right up and ran towards his sideline yelling to pump up his team...Cowan played like a MAN that game...anyways on Maualuga Ive seen him play a lot of games and like many said hes huge and great against the run and takes on blockers well...his fault really is in coverage, not so much because he isnt a good enough athlete, but really its because he plays such an aggressive style and attacks the line of scrimmage HARD...if the play action is on, hes usually burned...on the other hand this is why hes so good against the run...so its a give and take I suppose

Paranoidmoonduck
05-08-2007, 12:22 AM
I personally thought Maualuga was ALWAYS the better MLB out of the two.

Well, that's another debate for another day. Maualuga has more ability, but Lua was drastically harder to fool and stayed home much better than Rey did.

Rey has talent, but it is unfocused destructive talent at this point, and you want more than that from an elite middle linebacker.

moc182
05-08-2007, 02:37 AM
Has as much natural ability as pretty much any linebacker I've seen, could be a top 5 pick.

tEk
05-08-2007, 02:39 AM
maualuga could play anywhere. hes is effin LUGS!