PDA

View Full Version : Grubbs or Blalock

J-Dub
05-07-2007, 08:37 PM
who is better

dcarey20
05-07-2007, 08:38 PM
I've been saying Grubbs over Blalock for the past few months. He was easily the better draft prospect and I think he will be a much better pro.

Solomon
05-07-2007, 08:44 PM
Personally I think it is Blalock. Grubbs is more mobile and can get out and block downfield and on the move better. But Blalock is stronger, more physical, plays with better base and is more versatile (can shift out to tackle in a pinch). I think Blalock was hurt (in the eyes of many draft observers) by the old player comparison models which kept comparing him to past very large guards (Elton Brown, Max Jean-Gilles) who dropped due to lack of quickness, work ethic and conditioning. Blalock despite the comparisons has a good work ethic, showed up to the combine in great shape, ran a very impressive 40 and isn't nearly as soft as the other guys mentioned.

Shiver
05-07-2007, 09:23 PM
Well I know Atlanta was planning to jump to #28 to take Blalock, and not Grubbs. Fortunately things fell perfectly so the Falcons got him anyway.

Ravens1991
05-07-2007, 09:28 PM
I like Grubbs better, I have said this before the draft, that I liked Grubbs athletisicm over Blaylock

jkpigskin
05-07-2007, 09:30 PM
i think blaylock was the better college player and guard right now, but wat grubbs struggles with is form and technique... that can be fixed and in the long run, grubbs looks like the better guard

JCshutEmDown
05-07-2007, 09:31 PM
Too bad Arron Sears is better than both

Shiver
05-07-2007, 09:33 PM
Too bad Arron Sears is better than both

When did you come to that conclusion? Before or after the Bucs took him? I have a suspicion that it was the latter.

Acreboy
05-07-2007, 09:58 PM
who is betterDepends on the system you run.

JoeMontainya
05-07-2007, 09:58 PM
Currently Blaylock is better. Grubbs hasnt played the position very long and had great potential to go along with his allready above average skills. When there done I think Grubbs will pass him.

I see Blaylock in the mold of Andrews the OG from the Eagles.
Grubbs reminds me of Davin Joseph. For some reason I allways assumed Grubbs would make a better LG and Blaylock was only a RG. Just an opinion tho.

JoeMontainya
05-07-2007, 10:01 PM
Personally I think it is Blalock. Grubbs is more mobile and can get out and block downfield and on the move better. But Blalock is stronger, more physical, plays with better base and is more versatile (can shift out to tackle in a pinch). I think Blalock was hurt (in the eyes of many draft observers) by the old player comparison models which kept comparing him to past very large guards (Elton Brown, Max Jean-Gilles) who dropped due to lack of quickness, work ethic and conditioning. Blalock despite the comparisons has a good work ethic, showed up to the combine in great shape, ran a very impressive 40 and isn't nearly as soft as the other guys mentioned.

I havent seen to many OG's for awhile that have a base that Blaylock has. In his highlight video, his base, technique and strength didnt allow anyone to even push him back.

i wanted Blaylock so bad in the draft. I was begging the Browns to take him early in RD2 but we traded the pic.

Kinda weird, but last week this would have been an nfldraft discussion, now it can almost go in the NFL threads.

Yung Flippa
05-07-2007, 10:23 PM
ben grubbs

RavensFan
05-07-2007, 10:47 PM
i like grubbs more and i wanted him when we picked.. i also like blaylock but i think the athleticism of grubbs and his potential make him a better pick

iloxygenil
05-07-2007, 11:26 PM
Blalock is a tackle...he was trained as a tackle and played it until there were injuries on the Texas offensive line and he moved over for the betterment of the team because the backup tackle was farther along than the backup guard so he moved over. As far as between the two I like Blalock for our system, his power is incredible and technique is already impeccable. The fact that he hasn't allowed a sack in 27 straight games is incredible...that's over 2 years folks...part of Sophomore, all of Junior and all of Senior...that's amazing. I know Grubbs is a great athlete for the position, but I like the package that Blalock brings to the table.

Shiver
05-08-2007, 12:18 AM
Overall, it is schematically driven decision. However, I thought Grubbs was a better prospect. Either way I think both will be excellent players.

iKNOW
05-08-2007, 12:59 AM
blalock can play tackle but is not a tackle. he doesnt have the ideal size or mobility. tremendous strength. i like blalock due to his ability to play either but will excel at guard. i dont think either really deserved to get picked in the first due to the position that they play.

blalock looks soft around the middle. i've seen him in person many times and has never been otherwise despite reports saying he is in the best shape etc etc.

Caddy
05-08-2007, 01:09 AM
When did you come to that conclusion? Before or after the Bucs took him? I have a suspicion that it was the latter.

He is a dirty homer. I've seen a dozen or so of his posts completely lopsided to a perspective that benefits the Buc's.

I honestly don't know who is better but I think Sears does at least deserve a mention with Blalock and Grubbs.

Shiver
05-08-2007, 01:12 AM
Oh, I agree that Sears is in the ballpark. I just like calling people out.

iloxygenil
05-08-2007, 01:49 AM
For me I wasn't a fan of Arron Sears as a guard prospect. I really didn't mind him as a Tackle prospect though. But as a guard I was not a big fan of his for some reason. That hasn't changed at all, except now I think his mobility limits him to a Guard prospect, but he has great strength so he could work out for Tampa.

draftguru151
05-08-2007, 07:59 AM
Oh, I agree that Sears is in the ballpark. I just like calling people out.

You're slowly developing into njx.

go_ravens94
05-08-2007, 08:48 AM
Grubbs WAY OVER Blalock.

He plays with more fundamentals.

ChefMike
05-08-2007, 09:30 AM
Well being a Ravens fan I am glad we took Grubbs. He is not just a good player, but a good character as well. Grubbs has the body to put on another 10-15lbs and not lose his athleticism and is not just a road grader type he has good technique as well.
I think Blaylock will be a good player but I think that Grubbs will be better in the long run.

leoobeid32
05-08-2007, 09:37 AM
Obviously Grubbs. but blalock is good too

Shiver
05-08-2007, 09:58 AM
You're slowly developing into njx.

Funny you should say that, I mentioned in another thread that I am becoming jaded just like him.

Bengals1690
05-08-2007, 10:05 AM
Blalcok, a veristal raodgrader who can play RT or Guard

JCshutEmDown
05-08-2007, 12:45 PM
He is a dirty homer. I've seen a dozen or so of his posts completely lopsided to a perspective that benefits the Buc's.

I honestly don't know who is better but I think Sears does at least deserve a mention with Blalock and Grubbs.

No I'm not a "dirty homer". I didn't like the Gaines Adams pick and didn't like the Cato June and Kevin Carter signings.

As for Sears, he's better than both. That's just the way it is.

Shiver
05-08-2007, 12:58 PM
No I'm not a "dirty homer". I didn't like the Gaines Adams pick and didn't like the Cato June and Kevin Carter signings.

As for Sears, he's better than both. That's just the way it is.

Thanks for the analysis...

draftguru151
05-08-2007, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the analysis...

He sold me. I'm surprised he wasn't a top 10 pick. I guess the pro GMs never heard his argument.

Addict
05-08-2007, 03:15 PM
He sold me. I'm surprised he wasn't a top 10 pick. I guess the pro GMs never heard his argument.

Well it is a very compelling argument. I'm amazed Sears didn't say to the Browns 'Joe who?! I'm the best, that's just the way it is'

I would've taken him if his reasoning was that full-proof.