PDA

View Full Version : Denver Broncos Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13

jCut
03-10-2012, 03:51 AM
* Green going gives us an open TE slot to bring in Dallas Clark... ;)

Oh god no.

Diehard
03-10-2012, 10:17 AM
Oh god no.

*If* Manning signs with us you know a bunch of his cronies are going to end up on the roster. We're actually in a good position to absorb them, because we don't have a veteran WR, veteran C or a receiving TE.

Clark looked like ass last year, but with Peyton it could be a different story. If you want to make this deal, you take the good with the bad.

Jimmy
03-10-2012, 10:24 AM
The following story is a great read and will cut the Manning monotony on this board in half. Repost from a different thread.

As you all know, Turbin is my #1 guy. I had no clue about this story, though and after reading it, I now think even higher of him. I will say that many prospects go similar tough upbringings, and many still see their problems persist. What separates this kid from many of those guys is that he is well spoken, incredibly mature, and has legendary work ethic.

We knock on guys like Janoris Jenkins for having 4 kids for all the right reasons. We look at prospects at RB and say, "Wow, he'd fit great, I wonder if he has the work ethic to be great?" This guy does, unequivocally. Enjoy the read if you have 5 minutes.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/03/08/SPKC1NI3BS.DTL

He will have the second best career of any back in this year's draft. This kid is the 2nd strongest RB in this class, one of the biggest, has the 3rd biggest hands, one of the best pairs of hands, one of the fastest, the most mature, and one of the most powerful.

Diehard
03-10-2012, 11:47 AM
My take:

He will have the second best career of any back in this year's draft. This kid is the 2nd strongest RB in this class, one of the biggest, has the 3rd biggest hands, one of the best pairs of hands, one of the fastest, the most mature, and one of the most powerful.

His injury history will keep him from going as high as his physical talent and production warrant. Also, he's not quite the threat in the open field that his timed speed would suggest.

If I was looking for someone to run between the tackles, I'd aim for Richardson (1st round), Doug Martin (2nd round), Turbin (3rd round) or Vick Ballard (4th round). I think all of these guys will be able to pound the rock inside in the NFL.

Jimmy
03-11-2012, 11:31 AM
if i was you, i'd remove the picture of the story and just link to it. that there would've been deleted on any other board.

advice taken.

apparently Manning has narrowed down his choices to Denver and Arizona. I had a feeling the entire time he was gonna end up a Bronco. I think we are the favorites at this point.

:party:

Diehard
03-11-2012, 01:30 PM
apparently Manning has narrowed down his choices to Denver and Arizona. I had a feeling the entire time he was gonna end up a Bronco. I think we are the favorites at this point.

Dmac at 104.3 seems to agree - as of 20 minutes ago he said he still thinks there's a 90% chance Peyton ends up in Denver. Reporters tend to hedge their bets on things like that, so that would suggest he knows something we don't.

Anyway, we'll all know soon enough... and no matter which way the decision goes, I think the offseason will continue to be very interesting for the Broncos.

Diehard
03-11-2012, 01:40 PM
Another interesting point - according to Mike Klis, the only guy we are trying to get signed before FA starts is Bunkley:

http://twitter.com/#!/MikeKlis/status/178588392450310144

That gives us a lot of room to maneuver in FA, which I'm sure Peyton would find appealing.

jCut
03-11-2012, 03:29 PM
If you want to make this deal, you take the good with the bad.

Very good point, but I honestly don't think Clark has anything left. Reggie Wayne makes more sense.

jCut
03-11-2012, 03:32 PM
Dmac at 104.3 seems to agree - as of 20 minutes ago he said he still thinks there's a 90% chance Peyton ends up in Denver. Reporters tend to hedge their bets on things like that, so that would suggest he knows something we don't.

Dmac doesn't know anything. He tends to get emotional about these things, so I'd take his opinion with a very large grain of salt.

Arizona makes a whole lot of sense with Larry Fitzgerald in place, and I think that alone makes them the favorites.

Diehard
03-11-2012, 04:16 PM
Arizona makes a whole lot of sense with Larry Fitzgerald in place, and I think that alone makes them the favorites.

Their OL situation is pretty poor, though. That's kind of a big deal considering where Peyton is in his career and his injury situation.

The other thing is that we won our division and a playoff game without Peyton. The Cardinals didn't go anywhere and there are two teams in their own division (49ers and Seattle) that are better positioned to make a run as it stands.

Much depends on the sales pitch. Hope our guys did a good job.

Diehard
03-11-2012, 07:54 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20152563/peyton-manning-nearing-decision-is-impressed-broncos-sources

Peyton Manning nearing decision, is impressed with Broncos, sources say

Well, it sure sounds like the Broncos' brass made an impression. It's hard to believe we are in this when just a week ago I thought Denver wasn't even on the radar for the Manning sweepstakes.

Jimmy
03-12-2012, 06:51 AM

Also, Arizona is 12 Million OVER the cap, and that figure is assuming Arizona cuts Kolb and saves whatever million the number is.

Diehard
03-12-2012, 11:46 PM
Cecil Lammey on Manning and FA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXwKqnRNVP4&feature=youtu.be

At the end, he's asked to name the guys the Broncos will go after in FA. His response:

* FB Mike Tolbert (Chargers)
* MLB Jameel McClain (Ravens)
* DE Matt Roth (Jaguars)
* various defensive backs

McClain over Dan Connor (who would seem to be an obvious target) is interesting. Tolbert would be a very nice weapon and the fit is good.

Jimmy
03-13-2012, 05:13 PM
Sad to see Eddie Royal go...

Diehard
03-13-2012, 06:10 PM
Sad to see Eddie Royal go...

He needs to go elsewhere to turn things around. He hasn't been a reliable receiver for a while now. I'll miss his ability to return kicks and continue to wonder why we didn't use him more in that capacity.

Jimmy
03-14-2012, 05:43 PM
He needs to go elsewhere to turn things around. He hasn't been a reliable receiver for a while now. I'll miss his ability to return kicks and continue to wonder why we didn't use him more in that capacity.

One of the biggest "what could have been" Broncos stories of my lifetime. I hope that he tears it up with Washington. Didn't Shanahan have him in the doghouse his second and third years, though?

Anyway, I'd rather see him turn into a 2-3 time pro-bowler than see him bust. Don't care if he isn't a Bronco, he's a great guy.

Diehard
03-14-2012, 06:14 PM
*mcdaniels, and yes in his 2nd year. then he just failed to use him properly.

To be fair, Royal is limited as a WR. Physically, he'd be nice as a slot receiver but his ability to read coverages on option routes just isn't there.

Shanahan had it right - keep things simple and play to his strengths. He looked pretty good grabbing those intermediate/deep passes off the bootleg back when Cutler was throwing the ball.

Diehard
03-15-2012, 05:01 PM
Denver signs S Mike Adams

http://twitter.com/#!/VicLombardi/status/180411469429608449

Mike Adams is great locker room guy. Great fit for Broncos. Just getting started.

Diehard
03-15-2012, 08:49 PM
trufant in friday... i'd have rather had one of the guys who've already signed (marshall's contract wasn't bad), but he's still a step up from goodman.

Jameel McClain (LB from Ravens) and John Abraham (Falcons) also look to be coming in to visit. All defense so far... other than the Manning situation.

It would seem we are a dead lock to take a RB in the draft.

jCut
03-15-2012, 09:31 PM
Love the addition of Adams. Shows a complete lack of confidence in Rahim Moore, though.

Diehard
03-15-2012, 09:53 PM
Love the addition of Adams. Shows a complete lack of confidence in Rahim Moore, though.

Or that Dawkins is done for sure. Or both.

Honestly, we couldn't afford to go into next season with Moore, Carter, Bruton and Bush as our safeties - that's just too much youth and too many question marks. Adams is a steady vet and we need that.

Diehard
03-16-2012, 04:59 PM
Geno Hayes (LB, Tampa) is also apparently coming in for a visit.

http://denver.sbnation.com/denver-broncos/2012/3/16/2877965/2012-nfl-free-agency-lb-geno-hayes-to-meet-with-denver-broncos

Fast, athletic guy who can cover - kinda fits Fox's mould. He got benched at least once for poor tackling, though.

Vic Lombardi tweeted something about there being more FA signings when EFX get back to Denver tonight. McClain and Trufant, or someone else?

Jimmy
03-18-2012, 06:07 PM
Thank God We Resigned Joe Mays

Timbathia
03-18-2012, 08:39 PM
Thank God We Resigned Joe Mays

I sure hope it is only to play special teams. He is our weakest link on defense and that makes us a bad defense.

Diehard
03-18-2012, 11:49 PM
That windbag Mike Lombardi was on NFLN earlier saying the Broncos have told the free agents they've been in contact with that everything is on hold until Manning makes his decision.

Good old front office paralysis. Well, Peyton, get the **** on with it so our execs can actually improve our ******* ****** roster.

Diehard
03-18-2012, 11:52 PM
I sure hope it is only to play special teams. He is our weakest link on defense and that makes us a bad defense.

QFT - he's an unguided missile in the run game and lost in coverage.

I keep hearing the FO is high on Irving but given that he's done nothing on the field so far that's a pretty dicey plan to run with. Bringing in someone else to compete for the starting MLB spot would ease my mind considerably.

Jimmy
03-19-2012, 11:45 AM
:banana: :banana: :banana: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :frog: :evil_laugh: :evil_laugh: :evil_laugh: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Punisher
03-19-2012, 12:05 PM
Hallelujah!!!

Now who do we sign to compliment Manning? A TE,RB, WR?

Jimmy
03-19-2012, 01:00 PM
Hallelujah!!!

Now who do we sign to compliment Manning? A TE,RB, WR?

we are about 1 move away from being legitimate superbowl contenders. it would cost us our 1st rounder.

http://i.usatoday.net/sports/gallery/2009/NFL/weeklygallery/week17/s100103_steelerswallacepg-vertical.jpg

Jimmy
03-19-2012, 01:05 PM
meh.

on a sidenote, i'd humbly request that we not start acting like douchebags all over the forum. not that we have, but it would be nice to stay fairly classy.

this. before we go out proclaiming ourselves 2012 afc west champs, lets realize that although we are now vegas favorites to win the division, manning is one poorly placed hit away from setting us back almost as far as Tim was setting us back.

but still. this is a huge day, njx.

1. we got rid of tebow, likely. how can you not be pumped about that?
2. when we get rid of him, we're going to draft young talent
3. we are instantly improved
4. we finally have an offense
5. it's going to attract other free agents
6. it cost us upwards of 100 million, but we still have tons of cap room to work

btw weeden is no longer an option, IMO. he'd be in line to start at the age of 32 or 33... he's more of a play-now guy.

Punisher
03-19-2012, 01:13 PM
meh.

on a sidenote, i'd humbly request that we not start acting like douchebags all over the forum. not that we have, but it would be nice to stay fairly classy.

Yes, I agree.

Anyone else annoyed by these bitter Chiefs fans now?

Cunningham
03-19-2012, 01:30 PM
**** YES!!!!! great day to be a broncos fan!!

well done, elway, well done

Timbathia
03-19-2012, 03:35 PM
It sure aint boring being a broncos fan these days. Every year something happens to top the drama from the previous year.

I am looking forward to seeing how we top this next offseason.

Diehard
03-19-2012, 03:40 PM

No problem. I'm happy to take the high road and just enjoy the moment.

Anyone else annoyed by these bitter Chiefs fans now?

I've noticed some of them are taking it rather hard. I guess the fact that Manning wouldn't give their team the time of day is a big part of it.

yup. i'm still of the trade down, get a young guy to groom next year mindset, but i dunno if that would piss peyton off. all i know is we better have a competent back-up.

I think they will take a flyer on someone later on. Having the opportunity to learn under Manning is a pretty good situation for a new QB. Cecil Lammey mentioned B.J. Coleman as a possibility.

OSUGiants17
03-19-2012, 03:44 PM
Here's your new desktop wallpaper
http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/7764670/1024/Swaps/DEN-wallpaper-by-pasar3-d2xv324.png

Asshats!

HEISMANHERSCHEL
03-19-2012, 04:17 PM
I am sure you guys are stoked. I can't remember the last time a team replaced their starting QB that won a Playoff game the year before and actually upgraded it. Well done and congrats! Just about every team in the league is a little jealous now, but they won't admit it.

OSUGiants17
03-19-2012, 05:40 PM
O and BK made a Peyton sig in the sig request thread.

jCut
03-19-2012, 08:09 PM

I wouldn't worry about that. I feel like we are a smart, classy group of fans.

One thing I'm dreading is the mass admittance of washed-up former Colts. Ugh.

Jimmy
03-19-2012, 08:58 PM
Debbie Ramirez ‏ @Mizprincesss Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
@VicLombardi Just curious why is the Denver media not reporting how MOST Broncos fans are disappointed with Manning in Denver? BIAS MUCH?
Retweeted by Vic Lombardi

tebownation is ******* hilarious right now.

:lynched: :frog:

only thing i'd rather not read at this point- jemele hill column on the peyton manning signing being racist, cites tebow being black as proof

she's almost like the "aliens guy meme," except with racism. i think i have a meme idea...

Jimmy
03-19-2012, 09:47 PM
On another note, Wesley Woodyard just resigned for 2 years.

One of my favorite guys on the team. Glad to have him around some more.

Timbathia
03-19-2012, 10:56 PM
did Mclain sign anywhere yet? better than the idiot cannonball.

Rcee
03-19-2012, 11:23 PM
stephen tulloch is the best of 'em, but probably the most expensive. psure lofton is going to command a hefty contract as well.

i'd prefer to go with irving, but then again i was a big fan of his coming out and have no idea how the coaching staff feels about him.

and also not looking forward to stokley/tamme/clark signings that seem almost inevitable. i can put up with saturday though seeing as walton is pmuch awful.

the decider13
03-20-2012, 12:25 AM
So since Tebow is done (most likely), who do you think EFX gets in the draft to sit on the bench?

I have a gut feeling on Kirk Cousins for no particular reason. I think he has the tools but he isn't ready to start right away. I'd rather have him than Foles or Ossweiller anyways, and he can probably be had somewhere in the 2-4 round range.

Who do you think we end up with?

did Mclain sign anywhere yet? better than the idiot cannonball.

Not that I know of. Last I heard, he was meeting with the Broncos a few days ago. I haven't heard of him linked to any other teams.

stlouisfan37
03-20-2012, 12:06 PM
if peyton's 100% healthy, and he drops to the third, i think osweiler would be the guy i'd want, in spite of everything i've said about him. that's about where i'd value him, and having 2-3 years to sit behind peyton would do wonders for his lack of ability to do everything but throw hard. i think foles is mediocre. and cousins doesn't strike me as any more than a career back-up.

i also still want lamichael, even though he's no longer a perfect fit for the offense. i'll have to go back and pay attention to his receiving ability, since that's suddenly relevant.

LaMichael James is an excellent receiver out of the backfield. He almost certainly would have improved his stats in this area over 2010 had it not been for the emergence of DeAnthony Thomas. He is very fluid in catching the ball and turning upfield, and is at his best running in the open field on screens.

Jimmy
03-20-2012, 02:07 PM
broncos letting tracy porter in for a visit

:banana: :banana:

Diehard
03-20-2012, 09:07 PM
broncos letting tracy porter in for a visit

Xanders was on the radio saying there were 5 guys coming in tomorrow. Didn't say who, though Porter is clearly one of them. I hope Bunkley is another.

Jimmy
03-20-2012, 09:37 PM
Xanders was on the radio saying there were 5 guys coming in tomorrow. Didn't say who, though Porter is clearly one of them. I hope Bunkley is another.

atogwe, mcclain?

Diehard
03-20-2012, 10:21 PM
atogwe, mcclain?

Maybe. One of them is Jacob Tamme (TE, Colts):

http://twitter.com/#!/JasonLaCanfora/status/182289324602171392

Timbathia
03-21-2012, 04:16 AM
Heard we are close with Bunkley. Hope true.

jCut
03-21-2012, 11:19 AM
Porter would be a great addition. And pretty sure our interest in LBs has fizzled after the Mays / Woodyard re-signings.

Diehard
03-21-2012, 11:58 AM
And pretty sure our interest in LBs has fizzled after the Mays / Woodyard re-signings.

Either Elway or Xanders ( can't remember which) mentioned this on the radio. Apparently the looming suspension to DJ was a concern, which is why they were quick to resign Mays and WW.

Punisher
03-21-2012, 12:03 PM
4th rounder for Tebow...sweet :)

Diehard
03-21-2012, 12:34 PM

Flipping our 7th for a 6th was nice too.

I'm a little unclear on what picks we have now. I looks like:

1, 2, 3, 4 (Jets), 4, 5 (Rams), 5, 6

However, I believe we owe Cleveland a pick. Can it be the 6th we just acquired? It has a higher draft position than our original 6th.

Jimmy
03-21-2012, 12:36 PM

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :drunkfall: :drunkfall: :drunkfall: :drunkfall: :drunkfall: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :ange: :ange: :ange: :boulay: :boulay: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :lol: :party: :party: :party: :party: :meuh: :meuh: :yipi: :yipi: :yipi: :he: :he: :he: :yes: :yes: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :loco: :loco: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :smugdog: :frog: :frog:

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m18jmbLosc1rs9xdeo1_500.gif

Diehard
03-21-2012, 01:06 PM
Heard we are close with Bunkley. Hope true.

Unfortunately, no. He's a Saint.

Punisher
03-21-2012, 01:11 PM

Good luck with no head coach Bunk :/

Jimmy
03-21-2012, 03:42 PM
http://rockrivertimes.com/wpapp/wp-content/uploads/Caleb_Hanie1.jpg

a bronco. :lynched:

Timbathia
03-21-2012, 03:42 PM

Bad loss. Not good.

Diehard
03-21-2012, 04:21 PM
More FA action:

QB Caleb Hanie signed - new backup
DE/LB Cyril Obiozor signed - pass rusher for practice squad
CB Tracy Porter *not* signed - due to Saints mess w/ possible suspension
WR Andre Caldwell visiting today - potential #3
C Jeff Saturday - visiting tomorrow - starter
TE Mathew Mulligan visiting - blocker

jCut
03-21-2012, 08:43 PM
More FA action:

QB Caleb Hanie signed - new backup

Have not heard this.. You sure? I hope not.

Andre Caldwell has been signed.

jCut
03-21-2012, 09:10 PM
meh, hanie > quinn. it might be a small improvement, but it's an improvement.

I respectfully disagree. Hanie has shown he is not even capable of being a backup in this league. We never saw enough of Quinn to say the same.

jCut
03-21-2012, 09:37 PM
that's not even remotely true, unless you didn't see him in cleveland or in the preseason. think whatever you want about hanie, brady quinn was the worst nfl quarterback i have ever seen in my life.

I saw him in the preseason and in Cleveland, but I never saw him take a regular season snap here. I saw plenty of Hanie last year, and he let the entire Bears organization down when they needed him most. Remember, he got replaced by Josh McCown, who was out of the league.

Diehard
03-21-2012, 09:56 PM
Have not heard this.. You sure? I hope not.

He was added to our roster on NFL.com when I checked earlier... but now they've taken him out again. Something fishy is going on here - false report by NFLN?

Diehard
03-21-2012, 09:56 PM
that's not even remotely true, unless you didn't see him in cleveland or in the preseason. think whatever you want about hanie, brady quinn was the worst nfl quarterback i have ever seen in my life.

Poor accuracy and panicking under pressure is a bad combination.

jCut
03-21-2012, 10:42 PM
i have no idea what that would've changed. he has no accuracy, he's terrified to play the position, he can't make a read. he can't even routinely complete dump offs and hitches. he's ******* terrible. there isn't actually a single thing he does well..

My exact thoughts on Hanie, actually. I was just giving Brady the benefit of the doubt.

Either way, we still need another legitimate QB to backup Manning. Hanie doesn't fit the bill.

Diehard
03-21-2012, 11:34 PM
Either way, we still need another legitimate QB to backup Manning. Hanie doesn't fit the bill.

I remember seeing something about Volek coming in for a visit. The double double of Josh Johnson and Dennis Dixon were also rumored to be of interest.

I'm pretty much convinced we'll draft someone to develop behind Manning. Throw in Weber and someone should be able to separate themselves from the pack in TC.

Diehard
03-21-2012, 11:37 PM
Andre Caldwell has been signed.

I hope we use him on the outside and shift Decker into the slot - that would seem to be the best configuration. He's also a decent blocker, which seems to be something the team values highly... so even with Manning, expect a heavy dose of the run game.

the decider13
03-22-2012, 10:21 PM
Tracy porter signed on a one year, 4 million dollar deal. I was hoping for a longer deal, but I guess this gives him a chance to show he can stay healthy.

https://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter/status/182996705233477632

Diehard
03-22-2012, 10:46 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/03/22/broncos-face-competition-for-mannings-former-teammates/?module=HP11_headline_stack

The Broncos have met with two of Peyton Manning‘s former teammates, TE Jacob Tamme and C Jeff Saturday, and have interest in signing both, league sources said. But other clubs are pursuing them hard as well.

The Seahawks are very intent on trying to land Tamme (the Seahawks appear in position to spend, having been unable to get a visit with RB Michael Bush, a player they had strong interest in, before he signed with Chicago on Thursday). Saturday had good visits with the Packers and the Titans — teams that are in need of a starting center — and is mulling all three options as of now, according to a league source.

I doubt we get into much of a bidding war.

Jimmy
03-23-2012, 09:01 AM
Terrified at the prospect of drafting Zach Brown at 25. Dude fits the Fox LB mold spot on.

Closest thing to Thomas Davis since... Thomas Davis.

As I said on the 'Mane, he's basically everything Joe Mays isn't (and vice-versa), but he still fits the "Idiot Cannonball" moniker quite well. Be afraid, especially with DJ's suspension and Fox's recurring nightmares of not being able to handle Gronkowski.

Jimmy
03-23-2012, 09:49 AM
Just signed Joel Dreessen. **** yeah. Eliminated another draft need. Eliminated the possibility of taking the washed up Dallas Clark.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_JKD5BZC4VY8/TL4-jWMjD4I/AAAAAAAAMhY/7h6emqUO-Tg/s1600/blog+103.jpg

Diehard
03-23-2012, 10:01 AM
Just signed Joel Dreessen. **** yeah. Eliminated another draft need. Eliminated the possibility of taking the washed up Dallas Clark.

I'm not sure it eliminates Clark or Tamme... those guys are primary receivers while Dreessen has a more balanced game. Much will depend on how the Broncos feel about Julius Thomas.

ugh, i'd be upset. after watching his tape, i have absolutely no idea why zach brown is a possibility in the first 3 rounds (i mean, technically, yeah, i get the numbers and speed argument, but he's horrifically unsound as a football player). he was dj williams at MLB but somehow worse at diagnosing plays.

There are other fast, smaller LB's in the draft. Adding Mychal Kendricks or Lavonte David would provide more bang for the draft pick buck.

Jimmy
03-23-2012, 10:02 AM
god. *******. dammit.

i hope we cut him on his birthday and he cries about it.

njx no likey? why? he's also a long snapper so we can save $1 million and cut paxton

crossroads
03-23-2012, 10:07 AM
Terrified at the prospect of drafting Zach Brown at 25. Dude fits the Fox LB mold spot on.

Closest thing to Thomas Davis since... Thomas Davis.

As I said on the 'Mane, he's basically everything Joe Mays isn't (and vice-versa), but he still fits the "Idiot Cannonball" moniker quite well. Be afraid, especially with DJ's suspension and Fox's recurring nightmares of not being able to handle Gronkowski.

I'll be pretty surprised if they don't take a DT in the first round. Between Fox and Del Rio you have two guys who had their greatest success as coaches with guys like Kris Jenkins, Brentson Buckner, John Henderson and Marcus Stroud. These guys know the importance of D-lineman, and right now there's as close to nothing at defensive tackle on the Broncos roster as possible.

Jimmy
03-23-2012, 10:09 AM
he's a piece of **** scumbag, just like the rest of fort morgan circa 1999/2000.

There's clearly an anecdote behind this.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmon9iMOYA1qafrh6.jpg

Jimmy
03-23-2012, 10:24 AM
i hated their qb more, but i envision him as the guy in napoleon dynamite, so whatever.

Uncle Rico? :evil_laugh:

7b8uE1kza-0

Diehard
03-23-2012, 11:51 AM
Saturday went to Green Bay.

The Broncos seem to be focused on adding some veteran depth to stabilize positions where they have a lot of youth (WR, TE, secondary). I suspect the thinking was the same for C. The problem with losing out on Saturday is that there really aren't any appealing options left at this point, which leaves the draft. Konz at 25? Or just muddle through with Walton?

Jimmy
03-23-2012, 12:02 PM
Saturday went to Green Bay.

The Broncos seem to be focused on adding some veteran depth to stabilize positions where they have a lot of youth (WR, TE, secondary). I suspect the thinking was the same for C. The problem with losing out on Saturday is that there really aren't any appealing options left at this point, which leaves the draft. Konz at 25? Or just muddle through with Walton?

Walton isn't the one that's going to hold us back from going deep in the playoffs. It's going to be our inability to stop the run, if anything. Still think that's why we go DT/LB early on.

Diehard
03-23-2012, 02:22 PM
Tamme just signed, so we are solid at TE. One less thing to worry about in the draft.

Jimmy
03-23-2012, 02:56 PM
Tamme just signed, so we are solid at TE. One less thing to worry about in the draft.

3 million a year is about 666,000 more than i had wanted, per year, but i can't complain.

Diehard
03-24-2012, 02:16 AM
Position by position assessment:

QB - need a backup for Manning and someone to develop
RB - the #2 spot is open
WR - ok
TE - ok
OL - an upgrade for either Beadles or Walton would be nice

DE - need a backup for Dumervil (working on a deal with Hunter now)
DT - both a starter and depth are needed (!)
LB - an upgrade here would help, especially if DJ is going to miss time
CB - ok
S - ok

KR/PR - loss of Royal leaves a big hole here
K - ok
P - ok

Diehard
03-24-2012, 12:58 PM
Continuing the hunt for a backup, Dennis Dixon is visiting today. He's got potential and actually has some balls (unlike Quinn).

Rcee
03-24-2012, 01:18 PM
i agree with everything except that we're ok a WR. i think andre caldwell shouldn't be anything more than a 4th and willis shouldn't see the field anywhere outside of special teams. adding a guy like ty hilton, joe adams, jarius wright would be nice, depending on where they drop to.

we have bigger holes to fill but i'd like to see it addressed.

Diehard
03-24-2012, 10:06 PM
"ok" was basically saying we can get by with what we have. The QB thing is a little different as I always think you should always have a development guy on the back burner given the time it can take to transition to the NFL. If they feel good about Weber then adding a body isn't necessary... but I don't think that is the case.

WR - Thomas, Decker, Caldwell, Jason Hill, Willis, Dell, Goodwin

We should be able to pull a functional 4-deep from that group. If we add another receiver, it should be a KR/PR guy. Joe Adams would be a very nice choice

CB - Champ, Porter, Goodman, Harris, Syd, Vaughn, T. Carter, other camp bodies

We've got 3 young guys who have each flashed a little. I don't think any of them are necessarily a lockdown #2, though. The problem is the future - what happens when Champ starts to show his age. From a succession planning perspective, yes, I think this is an important position to address in the draft.

I'd like to see a few more FA moves to close most of the immediate holes left in the roster. That would then let us go BPA in the draft. Unfortunately, that isn't going to happen at DT, which probably means our first selection will be used at that position.

jCut
03-25-2012, 12:33 PM
Joe Adams would be a very nice choice

Love Joe Adams. He would be a nice fit here.

pocketaces
03-26-2012, 05:55 PM
Hey guys, in our mock draft Im drafting for you. Still on the board

Upshaw (DE/OLB), Hill (WR), Jenkins (CB), Hightower (LB), Wright (WR), Perry (OLB). Wilson (RB)

All the OL is gone, first round grades anyway. DL is gone too. Any of these guys interest you?

Timbathia
03-26-2012, 06:15 PM
Hey guys, in our mock draft Im drafting for you. Still on the board

Upshaw (DE/OLB), Hill (WR), Jenkins (CB), Hightower (LB), Wright (WR), Perry (OLB). Wilson (RB)

All the OL is gone, first round grades anyway. DL is gone too. Any of these guys interest you?

Can we trade back?

pocketaces
03-26-2012, 06:35 PM
Can we trade back?

no, seems everybody wants to do that lol

pocketaces
03-26-2012, 07:27 PM
Never mind. I drafted you Luke Kuechly instead. Didnt think he would be there but he was. You like?

Timbathia
03-26-2012, 09:17 PM
Never mind. I drafted you Luke Kuechly instead. Didnt think he would be there but he was. You like?

What a waste of a pick - we just resigned Joe Mays so are set at that position for the forseeable future. LBs are the strength of this team.

jCut
03-27-2012, 12:21 AM
What a waste of a pick - we just resigned Joe Mays so are set at that position for the forseeable future. LBs are the strength of this team.

... Sarcasm?

Timbathia
03-27-2012, 12:46 AM
... Sarcasm?

yes it sure is.

Diehard
03-27-2012, 10:54 AM
yes. very much.

Actually get a real MLB? That would be a revelation...

Core defense is key. Little wonder we've been gashed by the run in recent years when the team has tried to get by on the cheap at DT and MLB. Last year they finally took a few steps to improve the situation, but that still isn't enough and we're pretty much going to be forced to address this problem with our first pick this time around.

Anyway, I'm not sure what went on with this mock but there is a 0% chance Luke Kuechly falls to us on draft day.

Timbathia
03-27-2012, 03:44 PM
While i agree he is probably gone, mlb's that have been taken early recently have disappointed and they do generally fall more than most positions.

Diehard
03-27-2012, 04:38 PM
While i agree he is probably gone, mlb's that have been taken early recently have disappointed and they do generally fall more than most positions.

No question, LBs who aren't pass rushers tend to slide.

However, after his combine I think the combination of production, intangibles and athletic ability makes him a dead lock to go early. To get to us, he's got to run a gauntlet of teams from about the 10 spot on who could use help at that position. I don't think he gets past the Seahawks.

Jimmy
04-02-2012, 04:24 PM
Broncos getting new helmets? You tell me.

Looks to me that the stripe will come to the front of the helmet now.

http://images.footballfanatics.com/FFImage/thumb.aspx?i=%2fproductImages%2f_800000%2fff_80060 3_xl.jpg&w=400

Diehard
04-03-2012, 11:37 PM
Broncos getting new helmets? You tell me.

Looks to me that the stripe will come to the front of the helmet now.

http://images.footballfanatics.com/FFImage/thumb.aspx?i=%2fproductImages%2f_800000%2fff_80060 3_xl.jpg&w=400

After seeing the Nike stuff, I guess the artist who did the shirt just exercised some creative license. You'd think an assignment like "draw this ******* helmet properly" would be pretty hard to screw up.

Diehard
04-09-2012, 09:05 PM
i have no idea why, but i think i'm now about 95% sure we won't draft a DT before round 3. i'm just hoping that, if i'm right, it's not so that we can drastically overdraft lamar miller or some crappy wr.

My guess is that they'll stick to their rankings / board. If 3-4 DT's get grabbed before we pick, I think you can count on them drafting some other position where a top ranked prospect is still available.

Diehard
04-10-2012, 11:18 AM
In an interesting coincidence, Cecil Lammey had a lot to say about the Broncos draft yesterday.

https://twitter.com/#!/cecillammey

Synopsis of his comments:

RB - Broncos don't like the 2nd round options (James, Polk) and are looking at Miller at #25 (over Martin and Wilson) - want someone who fits the outside zone play

DT - the team likes some of the 2nd and 3rd round options

WR - the value is in the mid rounds, unlikely earlier than that

CB - if Kirkpatrick falls to #25, he's the pick over any RB / DT

QB - none in first 2 rounds - likely someone in the 4th-6th range.

Of course, a lot of this likely smoke given that we're still two weeks away from draft day. Still, it's eerily similar to njx's comments above.

One thing to keep in mind is that we are in "win now" mode. What picks will be able to contribute right off the bat? RB, LB and KR are the obvious plug-and-play positions and we could use help at all three spots.

EDIT - Miller highlight reel below - I'm not sold on his value at #25 but I'd sure like a back with that kind of burst on the team...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7dxPzUBoi4

Chris
04-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Nice post, Diehard. Was going to bring that over here since someone on the Mane spilled the beans. I like Miller, but not at #25. I think there will be better DT value there than the end of the second round. If we end up taking Mike Martin or some 3rd-4th round pick at the end of the second because we screwed the pooch not getting one early, I'll be PISSED.

Diehard
04-10-2012, 02:35 PM
Nice post, Diehard. Was going to bring that over here since someone on the Mane spilled the beans. I like Miller, but not at #25. I think there will be better DT value there than the end of the second round. If we end up taking Mike Martin or some 3rd-4th round pick at the end of the second because we screwed the pooch not getting one early, I'll be PISSED.

Apparently Del Rio & Co were taking a close look at Kirkpatrick and Josh Chapman at Alabama's pro day. There have been rumors that Del Rio wants to bring more of a 2-gap approach and Chapman would fit the bill. In that case, guys like Ta'amu and Brandon Thompson might also be on their radar. Brockers would be a very nice 2-gap fit, but the assumption is probably that he's gone well before the Broncos get a sniff at him. So that leaves guys in the 2nd and 3rd range as the targets, which would explain some of the buzz we're hearing.

Anyway, it's all conjecture at this point. We've got another two weeks before the real info starts leaking out.

Chris
04-10-2012, 02:57 PM
Apparently Del Rio & Co were taking a close look at Kirkpatrick and Josh Chapman at Alabama's pro day. There have been rumors that Del Rio wants to bring more of a 2-gap approach and Chapman would fit the bill. In that case, guys like Ta'amu and Brandon Thompson might also be on their radar. Brockers would be a very nice 2-gap fit, but the assumption is probably that he's gone well before the Broncos get a sniff at him. So that leaves guys in the 2nd and 3rd range as the targets, which would explain some of the buzz we're hearing.

Anyway, it's all conjecture at this point. We've got another two weeks before the real info starts leaking out.

I would not be okay with Chapman because of his ACL injury. Was he able to even perform anything at his Pro Day? I read his medical flags were off the charts at the combine and a variety of teams were concerned with his ability to actually play for more than half the season.

Thanks for the info, though. I'm just surprised they aren't considering Worthy @ the 3 Tech for us in round one. They must really like Vickerson or feel Thomas may come back. It would just baffle me if they didn't draft one in the first round. I really think that they will miss out on Thompson in the second, and Ta'amu is a 50/50 pick to be there. I could see the Steelers nabbing him right before us then if they don't address that need in round one.

Diehard
04-10-2012, 03:24 PM
It would just baffle me if they didn't draft one in the first round. I really think that they will miss out on Thompson in the second, and Ta'amu is a 50/50 pick to be there. I could see the Steelers nabbing him right before us then if they don't address that need in round one.

I'm not certain we'll end up picking at #25 when all is said and done:

* Pittsburgh is ahead of us, so any defensive prospect who slides down will likely go before we pick

* Houston is behind us, making #25 a desirable spot for someone to trade into to grab a receiver

The Vikings, Browns, Jaguars and Bills could all be looking to grab a WR, giving us a pick early in round 2 and another 3rd (or 4th + change) to play with.

Diehard
04-10-2012, 05:59 PM
Looking at this list is depressing:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/29/2012-draft-visits-and-workout-tracker/

Osweiler is the only guy we've brought in? Seems a little fishy... like the local media and the team are in cahoots to keep things quiet. After some of the stuff that happened during the Manning sweepstakes (like Vic Lombardi getting muzzled even though he was right) it wouldn't surprise me.

Jimmy
04-11-2012, 10:37 PM
Turbin is being brought in for a visit. Happy camper.:banana: :banana: :frog: :frog:

Diehard
04-12-2012, 12:15 AM
Turbin is being brought in for a visit. Happy camper.

Yeah, your boy is coming in. So now we have 2 visits... out of what, 30?

Diehard
04-12-2012, 11:40 AM
I was watching NFLN last night and they had an interview with Jerel Worthy where he said he was going to visit the Broncos.

At least we're looking at DT's this time...

Diehard
04-14-2012, 01:22 AM
Some mid-late round OL prospects coming in:

Levy Adcock, OT, Oklahoma State
Austin Wuebbels, OG, Missouri

Both are road grader types well suited to a power running game.

Scouting these kinds of players suggests that even with the addition of Manning, we'll still see a very Fox-style pounding ground game. The dead giveaway would be if they brought in a true blocking FB like Bradie Ewing (Wisconsin) or Chad Diehl (Clemson) for a visit.

Diehard
04-15-2012, 11:55 PM
More prospect workouts:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20403566/broncos-bringing-qb-prospects-nfl-draft-including-cousins

The Broncos are bringing in quarterback draft prospects Kirk Cousins of Michigan State and San Diego State's Ryan Lindley for visits this week. A Broncos contingent also flew down to Arizona State last week to give a private workout of Brock Osweiler.

Visiting the Broncos' facility last week was Connecticut defensive tackle Kendall Reyes. Utah State running back Robert Turbin will visit today and Tuesday. Reyes is a projected late-first or second-round pick. Turbin could go anywhere from the second to fourth round.

We also had reps at B.J. Coleman's pro day, so once again the team is putting emphasis on evaluating the QB position.

Timbathia
04-16-2012, 05:59 PM
Stokely seemingly brought in to help teach the receivers what to do. Seems like a smart move even if we dont get much production out of him. I guess guys like Gaffney have proven that in the right offense there is a place for experienced guys that know where to run.

Jimmy
04-17-2012, 09:19 PM
Looking at our schedule, we have our work cut out for us. I think we'll go 4-2 in our division and finish up at 8-8 on the year. We have a seriously tough schedule. Even if we go 5-1 in our division, we still have to play

Pitt
Atlanta
New England
Houston
Cincy (on the rise)
Carolina (on the rise)
Baltimore

We win 5 of those max, more like 3-4. Best case scenario we'd go 5-1 in the AFC West and just see losses to NE and Baltimore (13-3 season)

Worst case, we go 3-3 in the division and win 2 out of those 7 games above, finish at like 7-9.

Diehard
04-19-2012, 11:42 AM
Yes, the schedule is tough but we can do better than 8-8.

I would like to see a dominant performance at home through the combination of no huddle + altitude. This is another reason why I see the run being a more important piece than it was in Indy - keep the pace up, ram the ball down the opponents' throats and then kill them with play action.

I think the draft could have a lot of bearing on our success. Will the team put emphasis on more plug-n-play players/positions (RB, LB, OG, KR) rather than high potential, slow developing prospects?

DT is an interesting problem - it is generally a slow developing position and hard to evaluate. Do they take a guy who they feel can make an immediate, but limited, impact (e.g. situational inside pass rusher) rather than go for the big potential down the road?

Diehard
04-22-2012, 10:54 AM
Interesting read on the offense they are putting together:

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_20452378/woody-paige-manning-getting-tune-be-conductor-not

He has been sequestered in a darkened room at Dove Valley, with pad and pen, studying "cutouts" (specific plays, not full game tapes) used by McCoy and coach John Fox when they were together in Carolina, "tapes of what the Packers and the Saints have done well recently," the rushing plays designed for Willis McGahee last year, pass plays the Broncos had before Tebow and, of course, a variety of Manning plays with the Colts.

The Fox-McCoy emphasis, historically, on the run "excites" Manning. "People think I'm all about the pass, but if I throw five passes in a game, it means we're running the football well. You play to your strength."

Interesting stuff. It's along the lines of what I expected, as McCoy was quick to comment on his strong feelings about the run game after Manning came on board.

Cunningham
04-22-2012, 12:07 PM
i'd be thrilled if we can grab either miller, wilson, or martin at some point in the draft. unfortunately, their value seems to fall somewhere between our first and second picks, meaning we'd have to get creative to put ourselves in a position to draft one. i fully understand that running back is not a premium position, but i think that the drop off after the aforementioned trio of backs is pretty severe.

also, if carolina would accept a third for stewart, i'd do it in a heartbeat.

Cunningham
04-22-2012, 11:35 PM
since we're on the topic of running backs, here's a good write up...

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/draftcaps23-vn4vq6p-148455325.html

Cunningham
04-23-2012, 12:21 AM
they also listed the wrong schools for turbin and pierce...

regardless, there's some interesting tidbits there. i didn't realize that miller's shoulder issues are that severe, that's definitely something that could scare teams off. i'm not buying that ryan williams was a better prospect than david wilson. by and large, though, i agree with a lot of the stuff in there.

Jimmy
04-23-2012, 10:01 AM
There are rumors circulating that we made phone calls to see if we could trade up in the teens range for Stephon Gimore.

If this is a smokescreen, I'm not sure what good it does. I hope it's just a false report or that we don't pull the trigger. Gilmore's great and all, but we really need that second round pick. With Dawkins retiring today, we now need to look into a safety next year if Moore/Carter flops this year. We also still have issues at linebacker, interior OL, and the obvious.

I hope we either sit where we are and take a guy who falls to us, or we trade down to the early second.

Diehard
04-23-2012, 03:59 PM
If this is a smokescreen, I'm not sure what good it does.

I think it gives them a sense of how fall Kirkpatrick can fall. If Gilmore goes early, there's no way DreK makes it through the gauntlet of picks 17-24.

Jimmy
04-23-2012, 07:02 PM
I think it gives them a sense of how fall Kirkpatrick can fall. If Gilmore goes early, there's no way DreK makes it through the gauntlet of picks 17-24.

I'm not sure how personally inquiring about Gilmore accomplishes that, though. All it does is get teams thinking that if they want a corner, they'll have to get one by pick 20, since Gilmore, like you said, will be gone early according to this rumor.

If Denver really wants to gauge Dre's stock to see if they can get him, a move like this would hurt their chances of landing him.

Diehard
04-23-2012, 09:20 PM
If Denver really wants to gauge Dre's stock to see if they can get him, a move like this would hurt their chances of landing him.

Everyone knows we want/need a corner. Champ is old, Porter is a 1 year rental.

Anyway, I would be very surprised to see us trade up to address a need. That's pretty much the opposite of the BPA approach they've been preaching. Hell, Elway was talking up our DT group at the press conference, which seemed like some proactive expectation management to prevent a fanbase rebellion when they go for a LB or offensive player at 25.

Jimmy
04-24-2012, 07:18 AM
My final list of who I am ok with round 1, who I am neutral on round 1, and who I hate round 1

OK
Andrew Luck

Trent Richardson

Robert Griffin

Mark Barron

Matt Kalil

Morris Claiborne

Fletcher Cox

Courtney Upshaw

David Decastro

Cordy Glenn

Devon Still

Melvin Ingram

Stephon Gilmore

Justin Blackmon

Quinton Coples

Donta Hightower

Dre Kirkpatrick

Trade down

NEUTRAL

Janoris Jenkins

Peter Konz

Kevin Zeitler

Michael Brockers

Jerel Worthy

NOT OK

Trade up

Chandler Jones

Dontari Poe

Jimmy
04-24-2012, 09:17 AM
i really don't like worthy. i don't know how he went from a 3rd round guy during the season, to a first round guy in the post season. i really want nothing to do with him or still based on what i saw on the field all year.

the only reason i'm neutral on him and brockers is because they fill needs. i don't think they're remotely the BPA in any part of round 1. Especially Brockers and Poe, who are entirely developmental to me. We need a guy who is fundamentally solid from day 1.

Cunningham
04-24-2012, 09:58 AM
the only reason i'm neutral on him and brockers is because they fill needs. i don't think they're remotely the BPA in any part of round 1. Especially Brockers and Poe, who are entirely developmental to me. We need a guy who is fundamentally solid from day 1.
disagree with brockers being considered a developmental pick. he's a guy who should be able to play right away and be an asset against the run while doing so, something that you can't really say about any of the other top defensive tackles. his pass rush, on the other hand, is the part of his game that has yet to be developed.

Jimmy
04-24-2012, 10:45 AM
disagree with brockers being considered a developmental pick. he's a guy who should be able to play right away and be an asset against the run while doing so, something that you can't really say about any of the other top defensive tackles. his pass rush, on the other hand, is the part of his game that has yet to be developed.

From what I've read, he'll supposedly be a beast once he gets some coaching. But to me, he doesn't seem like a guy that's ready to come in and make an immediate impact. I also don't think Brockers makes for a very good 3 technique DT in a 4-3 compared to a 5 technique DE in a 3-4. Although, you will have people who say the opposite.

"His technique still needs some work; he still plays a little high at times. He also doesn't change direction that well, which is a concern moving forward. When Brockers gets coached up, however, look out. With his talent and skill set, he'll probably go higher in the draft than his production warrants, but that's because someone will roll the dice and that it'll all come together for him and he'll reach that Pro Bowl potential that his talent indicates is possible."

This is just once source, but I think everyone is saying the same thing. Needs coaching... but what prospect doesn't? The difference is, Brockers sounds like he needs more that most. To me that's developmental. I do agree that Brockers is a potential run stuffer, but I think everyone has discounted Devon Still, who I think has less technical concerns and more production, despite being a relative one year wonder.

Either way, I'd rather go MIKE or WILL round 1. I'd like to see us nab a linebacker who can make a play behind the line of scrimmage for once (aside from Von). I have confidence that Warren and Vickerson can hold their own and free up our guys.

Diehard
04-24-2012, 05:27 PM
Elway:

“We’re talking about now,” Elway said Monday. “Impact doesn’t necessarily mean a starter, but one that can come in and help us win. I think that’s kind of where we are right now.

“As I said last year, you have a lot more misses in my mind when you draft to need,” Elway said. “We’re going to try to find the best players in positions of need, but also find the best players to come in and help us right away.”

That seems like a reasonably sensible set of criteria for making a decision. When it's time to pick, take the top graded prospects, drop the ones who don't fit need and then figure out which of the remaining guys will be able to make significant contributions right off the bat.

Diehard
04-24-2012, 05:38 PM
i think devon still is an utter bust in the first round. but i *hate* one year defensive linemen, almost as a rule.

I've found the 1-year-wonder rule to be very useful for screening out DL. Still has other question marks - I think he'll get pounded in the NFL unless he learns to keep his pads low and play consistently.

barring no weird, unexpected drops, i really have no idea who i'd take at our pick right now. i just don't like anything that will likely be available.

There might be decent OL options there, especially if there turns out to be a run on pass rushers in the 10-20 range.

If we are willing to roll with the punches, I think we'll get someone good with our first pick. Otherwise, trade down to the mid-thirties and go more for need.

Jimmy
04-24-2012, 06:26 PM
im hoping we can turn our first this year into a first next year... more than anything... at least, after my top 15 players.

jCut
04-25-2012, 01:22 PM
i really don't like worthy. i don't know how he went from a 3rd round guy during the season, to a first round guy in the post season. i really want nothing to do with him or still based on what i saw on the field all year.

I was hearing he would be a top-15 pick all year, and it seems like he fell considerably due to work-ethic issues. I think Worthy is the best interior pass-rusher (besides Cox) in the draft, IF he plays up to his abilities. And that is a big if.

jCut
04-25-2012, 08:29 PM
I am so utterly clueless as to what I think we are going to do in the draft. Every time I come up with a scenario I think of 3 more that are equally plausible. I am going to have an open mind this year. BPA All The Way.

Diehard
04-25-2012, 08:39 PM
I am so utterly clueless as to what I think we are going to do in the draft. Every time I come up with a scenario I think of 3 more that are equally plausible. I am going to have an open mind this year. BPA All The Way.

It seems the team has been a lot more secretive this time around. We barely heard squat about team visits. My inner paranoid thinks this indicates some sort of big move in the draft, but I'm not buying the rumor about us moving up to grab Gilmore.

It will probably end up being a trade down then we'll have to wait until Friday to finally see a pick...

jCut
04-25-2012, 08:43 PM
It will probably end up being a trade down then we'll have to wait until Friday to finally see a pick...

Totally agree.

Jimmy
04-26-2012, 09:28 AM
I was in line from about 5 PM, planning on waiting till midnight for my wristband.

When some lady came around and told me that I could get my wristband NOW if I spent $35 at the NFL pop up store a few blocks away, I hesitated but eventually jumped at the chance.

I buy a draft cap every year anyway.

TL;DR - I spent an extra $6 to avoid sitting in line with a bunch of drunk, cheap-skate new york sleazeballs for 5 hours.

Diehard
04-26-2012, 11:49 AM
TL;DR - I spent an extra $6 to avoid sitting in line with a bunch of drunk, cheap-skate new york sleazeballs for 5 hours.

Money well spent.

Diehard
04-26-2012, 12:23 PM
All-too-vague thoughts:

1. We will not be picking at 25
2. Our first selection will be a CB if there is a legit prospect available
3. We will take a RB before we take a DT
4. We will draft a QB in round 4
5. One or more of our new additions will be from Boise State

Cunningham
04-26-2012, 04:43 PM
All-too-vague thoughts:

1. We will not be picking at 25
2. Our first selection will be a CB if there is a legit prospect available
3. We will take a RB before we take a DT
4. We will draft a QB in round 4
5. One or more of our new additions will be from Boise State
i could see each one of those playing out.

from everything that i've gathered, i'd be surprised if we don't trade out of the 25th spot, unless kirkpatrick falls to us.

Diehard
04-26-2012, 05:04 PM
i can buy most of that. i hate mayock for putting out a mock that had poe falling to us. now i'm all hopeful.

The Eagles really like him and need the help on the inside. I'm sure there are others as well (e.g. KC). He's gone by the mid-first.

Diehard
04-26-2012, 05:18 PM
Prediction #1 is looking pretty good:

http://twitter.com/#!/1023ESPN/status/195627518991147008

Our @1023ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter says the #Broncos have received multiple calls and will look to trade down out of #25

Someone looking for get ahead of Houston to take Fleener or a WR? Or maybe wanting to grab an OLB pass rusher before the 26-31 run wipes out that pool of prospects?

elway=goat
04-26-2012, 05:25 PM
Typically I don't like trading down. But in this case, the Broncos best bet is to do so. I really don't like any of the players that are available at 25.

Diehard
04-26-2012, 05:33 PM
Typically I don't like trading down. But in this case, the Broncos best bet is to do so. I really don't like any of the players that are available at 25.

Pretty much. At the positions we have needs, 25 isn't much better than 35.

I really hope it's the Rams wanting to come back in to grab a receiver.

Jimmy
04-26-2012, 08:51 PM
we need to sit and see if we can grab decastro, upshaw, Hightower or cordy.

sent live from radio city

Jimmy
04-26-2012, 09:13 PM
this is panning out brilliantly.

Jimmy
04-26-2012, 09:17 PM
we just swapped with new england

jCut
04-26-2012, 11:00 PM
Damn. We were so close to getting DeCastro.

Jimmy
04-26-2012, 11:09 PM
best draft ever so far. no crappy dts. no crappy rb in the first round. no ******* osweiler. i'm a happy man.

possibly the fastest first day i've ever attended. i was really hoping we'd grab one of the guys i had mentioned, but im ok with trading back, although we didn't receive anything of value.

CT Bronco Fan
04-26-2012, 11:18 PM
So we basically turned pick 25 into pick 36/101. We got murdered a little there according to the trade chart, the final trade with Tampa we shouldn't of swapped 4ths.

I guess EFX really didn't like anyone enough to draft them in the first, considering that we lost significant value in the trade downs.

Diehard
04-26-2012, 11:59 PM
the trade chart's are out the window with the rookie scale in play. they're utterly meaningless at this point. look at the jags/bucs trade, or the browns/vikings trade.

Yep.

The guys we liked at #25 were gone and EFX felt confident the guys we wanted to take would be available at the top of the second. So we traded down.

3 teams pick ahead of us tomorrow. There are more than three prospects who were commonly mocked to us at #25 still available (e.g. Worthy, Still, Miller, Konz) and quite a few other options (Glenn, Martin, Adams, Upshaw, Fleener, etc). I'm wondering if we'll see a later pick burned to move up from #57 to take advantage of the situation.

I'd like to see us pick up Lamar Miller and Brandon Thompson in round 2. I still think CB is going to work its way in there, though.

Jimmy
04-27-2012, 09:43 AM
my dog posey passed away last night after a short battle with cancer. she was a 9 year old Bernese mountain dog who loved leftovers and was essentially an oversized goldfish when it came to retaining info.
po, you'll be missed and will live vicariously through devier posey.

jCut
04-27-2012, 10:00 AM
I want Cordy Glenn and Alameda Ta'amu.

Diehard
04-27-2012, 11:50 AM
I want Cordy Glenn and Alameda Ta'amu.

A fine combination. Beef up both lines.

Diehard
04-27-2012, 12:09 PM
For a team that wants to draft "BPA at a position of need", last night gives some insight into what those needs are...

Clearly we hung around at #25 to see what was going to happen with DeCastro and Reiff. So OL is definitely on the wish list. Going into round 2, we see these prospects still available that could've found their way into round 1:

Cordy Glenn, OT, Georgia
Amini Silatolu, OG, Midwestern St.
Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin
Bobby Massie, OT, Ole Miss
Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford

I particularly like the first two - big maulers who could add some push to our run game.

Obviously the team didn't like any DT or CB available at #25 and the picks made between #25 and #32 seem to confirm their thinking. The late run on RB's probably made them a little nervous, as I think we all know they like Miller in the 2nd.

I wonder if the team is currently working on a deal to get another 2nd rounder, as the value is there right now at the positions we need. We've certainly got the ammo to move up.

jCut
04-27-2012, 05:26 PM
i really don't see value in glenn, unless we're 100% sure he can play inside. i think franklin was just fine at RT and should only get better. i really like konz, but i really think walton is a below-average nfl center.

I actually think Glenn is better suited as a guard. He can also play RT if we want to move Franklin inside.

CT Bronco Fan
04-27-2012, 07:53 PM
Osweiler =/

Cunningham
04-27-2012, 07:55 PM
i am beside myself. wow.

Jimmy
Merry christmas NJX! fffff*******

Wootylicous
I want a njx rant.

jCut
04-27-2012, 07:56 PM
Osweiler sucks.

Punisher
04-27-2012, 08:30 PM
Like the Hillman pick

Diehard
04-27-2012, 09:05 PM
He runs better inside than his size would indicate. Definitely a fit for a zone scheme (and we ran a *lot* of inside zone last year).

Burning a second on Osweiler is souring me too much to be objective. The other guys weren't big hype prospects but they could very well be the right choices. Wolfe brings the inside pass rush and Hillman the breakaway threat on the ground.

Cunningham
04-27-2012, 10:21 PM
i like wolfe, very productive player who has underrated athleticism and strength. much more comfortable with taking him than i would've been with taking any of the other tackles that were available. i also like hillman quite a bit. similar to wolfe, hillman fits a big area of need and should be able to be an immediate contributor, despite being only twenty years old. miller's reoccurring shoulder issues must be the reason as to why he fell to the third day. it'll be interesting to see where he's taken tomorrow.

i've never been a fan of osweiler. poor mechanics and limited experience are huge red flags for him, among other things. however, there's two things that give me some hope for him: tools, i.e., arm strength, size and underrated athleticism, and the situation in which he was drafted into. i still don't like his chances for becoming a legitimate franchise quarterback down the road, but having the opportunity to sit for 2+ seasons should be extremely beneficial.

we have two early picks to start the day off tomorrow, and i wouldn't be shocked if we look to pick up a receiver who projects well to the slot, but really, who the hell knows.

Timbathia
04-27-2012, 10:30 PM
Still a couple of good corners available too. Not that drafting cop punchers seems like a brilliant idea.

Diehard
04-27-2012, 11:09 PM
we have two early picks to start the day off tomorrow, and i wouldn't be shocked if we look to pick up a receiver who projects well to the slot, but really, who the hell knows.

If we wanted a receiver, we had plenty of opportunity to get value at that position already. At this point we're looking at a bunch of bigger possession guys with good hands (Jones, McNutt, Toon).

Anyway, my gut feeling is that Decker and Tamme will spend a lot of time lined up in the slot, so I wouldn't spend any more resources on that particular position.

Still a couple of good corners available too. Not that drafting cop punchers seems like a brilliant idea.

Yes, I think CB is possible with Brandon Boykin and Josh Norman still available. The problem I have is that I'm not sure either of these guys can beat out the young legs we have in Harris, Thompson and Vaughn.

If we want to talk about "contributors", then I'd say DT is still in the mix (Ta'amu, Wynn, Chapman, Crick, etc) as is C if they think a guy like Jones or Molk could challenge Walton.

The easy way to make an impact is returner. That brings me back to Boykin who is definitely a threat as a KR.

EDIT: An outside possibility would be some "thunder" to go with Hillman's "lightning". Polk, Turbin, Ballard... picking up a guy like that would allow us to dump some of the role players we have at RB. I guess this would very much depend on how the FO feels about Ball, JJ and Fannin.

Jimmy
04-28-2012, 12:48 AM
Heh. I was just surfing around the mane and former broncos thread poster Chris lost a $2500 laptop tonight. poor guy.

on another note... let's kick day 3's ass.

Jimmy
04-28-2012, 09:02 AM
To extrapolate on the above post, I say we go out and nab either Brandon Boykin or Josh Norman in round 4. I'm happy with Harris as our nickel or maybe even #2 for the next 5 years, but I'd like to see someone challenge him.

Jimmy
04-28-2012, 11:39 AM
yes! another Baylor center!!! and older than Walton! and another Canadian from Ontario! (bolden)

the decider13
04-28-2012, 12:08 PM
I'm hating this draft too. I really hope it turns well, but I'm not feeling it right now. I went in to the 4th hoping they would grab Josh Norman then Ta'amu/Crick. Instead, we go after a a CB coming off a torn ACL and a 27 year old center from Baylor. Hard to get excited about this.

Diehard
04-28-2012, 02:36 PM
I went in to the 4th hoping they would grab Josh Norman then Ta'amu/Crick. Instead, we go after a a CB coming off a torn ACL and a 27 year old center from Baylor. Hard to get excited about this.

Bolden hurt his knee last April, so he should already be back to full strength. He's a potential starter caliber guy, which is hard to come by in round 4. Assuming he checked out medically, this is a solid value pick.

Blake was an OG who slid over to C when Walton left. He's strong at the point of attack - Ganaway got a lot of his yards following this guy up the middle. Good size and base for a C - doesn't get pushed back much. Yes, he's older (26) but OL can have long careers and we can't sign him for more than 4 years anyway. I am very happy they brought in someone to compete against Walton / Beadles and I think he'll end up taking one of the starting jobs.

the decider13
04-28-2012, 05:39 PM
Bolden hurt his knee last April, so he should already be back to full strength. He's a potential starter caliber guy, which is hard to come by in round 4. Assuming he checked out medically, this is a solid value pick.

Blake was an OG who slid over to C when Walton left. He's strong at the point of attack - Ganaway got a lot of his yards following this guy up the middle. Good size and base for a C - doesn't get pushed back much. Yes, he's older (26) but OL can have long careers and we can't sign him for more than 4 years anyway. I am very happy they brought in someone to compete against Walton / Beadles and I think he'll end up taking one of the starting jobs.

I think Bolden could end up pretty good. I guess I just had my heart set on Josh Norman. If Bolden comes back completely healthy, it could end up an amazing pick.

It'll take a few days to talk myself into liking all of our picks. I've already talked myself in to Wolfe. Starting to warm up to the idea of Osweiler. I don't love Hillman yet, but I could definitely warm up to the idea. I really don't know how to feel about Blake yet, but it is hard to get excited about a 27 year old who replaced our currently underwhelming center.

jCut
04-28-2012, 06:31 PM
Overall, it sure doesn't feel like we improved our team much. I don't think it's the worst draft in the world, but nothing to get excited about.

Diehard
04-28-2012, 08:52 PM
UFA signings:

* Steven Johnson, LB, Kansas

Very productive (led Big 12 in tackles), agile, athletic

* Austin Wuebbels, OG, Missouri

Mauler. I like this guy.

* Jamie Blatnick, DE, Oklahoma State

One year wonder but did some good damage in the backfield

* Coryell Judie, CB, Texas A&M

Wasn't drafted due to injury history. Talent is definitely there.

* Duke Ihenacho, S, San Jose State

Don't know much about him - great name, though

* Elliot Coffey, LB, Baylor

Another smaller, productive LB

* Mike Remmers, OT, Oregon State

Don't know much about him

* Gerell Robinson, WR, ASU

Big guy who had good production as a target for Osweiler at ASU

* Anthony Miller, TE, Cal

Don't know much about him

EDIT:

* Jerry Franklin, LB, Arkansas

Another productive ILB

* Wayne Tribue, OG, Temple

Powerful inline blocker... just the way Fox likes 'em

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/04/28/broncos-agree-sign-10-undrafted-rookies/13246/

Jimmy
04-28-2012, 10:41 PM
i think this was an abysmal draft and i think no one we drafted will be on the team in 4 years.

that said, i'm going to have a little faith in EFX and try to give these guys a little bit of time to make me eat crow.

I honestly think, while it isn't the sexiest draft of all, we have to cope. Gotta have confidence in the guys. I do think we have room to be excited about Hillman. I did no research on the kid and I'm pleasantly surprised with what I've now seen and read.

All the Charger fans who really know and watch the kid are pretty upset that we nabbed him.

As difficult as it is to swallow the fact that we didn't land LaMichael, Martin or Turbin, or any of the guys we wanted for that matter, Hillman looks really good. We haven't had a back with this level of quickness and elusivity since Clinton Portis. If his family isn't broke, he likely goes back to San Diego State, puts up another 1,500 yards in a weak conference, and is selected right around the time LaMichael was taken this year. Also, guys only 20. He could pull an Okoye, suck for 4 years, and on his second contract, still be a really good 3rd down back for another team - and still be younger than some rookies.

I think Wolfe is going to be a pretty solid UT. I haven't watched enough film of his, but I trust the judgement of EFX on his one. Everyone had the kid in their top 5-7 DT's, and EFX saw something they liked. They watch way more all-22 than all of us (which can be argued for any draft pick, including Bruce Irvin, I guess)

The rest of the picks are very meh except for Bolden. Odds are, most 4th rounders don't end up starting anyway. I think Bolden has better odds of not getting injured on a regular basis than a typical 4th rounder has of starting one day. I also think that a healthy Bolden is nickel caliber guy a few years down the road, at the very least. It's a calculated risk, to me.

Jimmy
04-28-2012, 11:03 PM
like i said, i'll give elway, et al a bit of time to prove they're either idiots or smarter than me.

but i just don't like a single one of our picks compared to guys who were available. and granted, where i would've taken ta'amu where we took wolfe, ta'amu fell another 3 rounds. so maybe i really missed something. and maybe lamar miller's injury is really that bad. bleh. i just feel liek i'm mentally having to make a lot of excuses for the players we took instead of the guys who were available.

those guys are two perfect examples. i trust the judgement of 32 organizations over a bunch of draftniks, despite how well versed we are for people with literally zero sources. same with turbin. I saw a guy who I believed should have gone at the end of round 2. didn't go till round 4. people see different things, but ultimately people slip for a reason.

With the Wolfe pick, there wasn't another DT taken until a half round later and there wasn't another DT picked after that guy till pick 82. To sum it up, all 32 teams believed there were only 3 total round two worthy DT candidates, and we got one of the two that don't suck. And we got some extra picks.

Once again, all 32 teams believed there were only 2 total round 3 worthy RB prospects, as only 2 were taken in round 3. Those backs were Hillman and Pierce, who was taken half a round later. I'd rather have Hillman by a small margin.

In round 4, only Miller and Turbin went. Those guys slipped for a reason, like you said. Both have injury concerns. All 32 teams valued them 4th round picks at the highest.

Also, feel good about the Bolden pick. There wasn't a single cornerback taken until a half a round later.

Diehard
04-29-2012, 12:39 PM
i should note i'm only really against the bolden pick because i think boykins would've offered us a return guy. outside of that i don't hate that pick. and to be honest, i don't know if bolden also offers us a return guy, so that may be an unfounded criticism.

At the presser, I think Fox mentioned that Hillman might contribute on returns. However, I don't count on that being any kind of permanent solution, as I think when he starts getting a decent chunk of carries and showing what he can do, they won't want to risk him on returns.

Diehard
04-29-2012, 01:10 PM
Well, we just signed a 13th UDFA - WR Eric Page from Toledo. There's our kick returner.

With him and Hillman on the roster, maybe we'll actually see some screen plays installed. That would be a refreshing change.

Jimmy
04-29-2012, 07:14 PM
MbSeGoaNilE

starting at 6:10... you can see the speed this kid has. the play after the long touchdown catch is absurd. this kid looks like he could turn out alright.

Jimmy
05-09-2012, 08:01 AM
Xanders is gone.
http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2012/0507/20120507__broncos-brian-xanders~p1_300.jpg

jCut
05-10-2012, 06:19 PM
If Elway felt he himself was ready to be the full-time GM, why even keep Xanders around for the draft? Did they stick a dunce cap on his head and tell him to sit in the corner for the last few months? Doesn't make much sense to me.

Rcee
05-10-2012, 06:53 PM
Drayton florence signs for two years. Remember him as the dude that caught a deflected jake plummer fade in a rainy game back in 06 and being pretty average for the most part. Dont really like the signing but I can see the reasoning.

With all tje depth at corner now, what about moving Chris Harris to safety? He played great in the slot last year, but I dont see porter/florence playing as the dime/4th corner. Still optimistic about moore, but he really needs to improve a lot.

Jimmy
05-10-2012, 09:07 PM
Drayton florence signs for two years. Remember him as the dude that caught a deflected jake plummer fade in a rainy game back in 06 and being pretty average for the most part. Dont really like the signing but I can see the reasoning.

With all tje depth at corner now, what about moving Chris Harris to safety? He played great in the slot last year, but I dont see porter/florence playing as the dime/4th corner.
Dis I like.

Rcee
05-10-2012, 09:42 PM
gooby plz...

Diehard
05-16-2012, 12:57 PM
If Elway felt he himself was ready to be the full-time GM, why even keep Xanders around for the draft? Did they stick a dunce cap on his head and tell him to sit in the corner for the last few months? Doesn't make much sense to me.

Consider John's perspective - who else was gonna order the pizza and get the take out from that all-night Chinese food joint?

Teams often make these moves post-draft. You really don't want to throw out a guy who has been involved in the evaluation process (both pro and college) for that year ahead of the draft - you'd lose the informed perspective he could provide and run the risk of your draft plans ending up in the hands of another organization.

Diehard
05-16-2012, 01:12 PM

It's a fairly solid move by the organization. It's much like the Mike Adams pickup - get some veteran depth to go with the youth. I think between Harris, Bolden, Thompson and Vaughn someone will emerge as a solid starter, but better to let them develop than to feel forced to throw them into the fire.

As for Harris at safety, I think a lot depends on your evaluation of Moore. Adams starting at FS gives Moore some time to develop. If you have Harris and Moore compete in TC, what happens if Harris is the clear winner? Cut Moore? I'm not sure if the team has the stomach to part with a 2nd rounder so soon.

Diehard
05-23-2012, 06:14 PM
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/broncos-trade-for-chris-gronkowski/

Not much of a surprise considering the number of CB's we had on the roster. Vaughn had his chance last year and I guess he didn't show enough.

Picking up a run-blocking FB is an interesting turn of events - certainly shows that Fox and McCoy intend to stick with some of their offensive principles. I honestly think that's a good thing. McGahee looked good running out of the I/offset-I last year and play action off those looks was effective even with Tebow throwing the ball.

Diehard
05-23-2012, 06:25 PM
how many ******* gronkowski's are there?

As many as Momma Gronkowski is willing to churn out of her womb...

Jimmy
06-09-2012, 09:06 AM
Man, DJ williams is ****** stupid.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20818370/broncos-dj-williams-makes-play-public-twitter

Jimmy
07-17-2012, 12:36 PM
credit goes to josh mcdaniels for taking a guy who could only run 3 routes over a wr who beats his mother in the 2009 draft. it paid off.

Diehard
08-14-2012, 02:17 PM
Interesting game. It's on again tonight on NFLN for anyone who missed it.

Thoughts:

* Oz is the second best QB on the team... though with Weber and Hanie as competition that's not a huge accomplishment. He's also got the best arm. The question is whether his brain is up to the challenge.

* Manning still needs to shake off a little rust, but even then we haven't had that kind of field general on the team in a long, long time.

* Manning to Decker is going to be a deadly combo - if you are playing fantasy, I like Decker over DT by a fair margin.

* Speaking of WRs, there's a pretty fierce competition for #4 and below. Hill, Willis and Robinson all played well. I'll be watching this closely over the next few games.

* I wonder if Cornelius Ingram can finally stay healthy? He certainly shows his talent out there. He's the #3 TE if his knee holds up...

* The RB competition is interesting. Guys like JJ and Omon buried at the bottom of the depth chart made solid cases for themselves. The problem is that Lance Ball can do a bit of everything, and that kind of utility is hard to beat out when it comes to the lower roster spots.

* We don't have much depth on the OL. The number 2 group looks really bad.

* The approach of going after productive, team leader types at LB in the draft / UDFA seems to be paying off. Irving, Trevathan, Johnson and Mohamed all chipped in against the Bears. Depth + youth is a nice combination.

* I'm not sure if we have a real DL or if the Bears' OL is really that bad. Maybe both. Apart from Dumervil's boneheaded penalties, pretty much everyone who put their hand down on the line made a contribution.

Anyway, it was a pretty good start to the preseason... though that may not mean much in the scheme of things. Next stop, the Seahawks.

Diehard
08-14-2012, 05:34 PM
Hanie came in after Manning, so theoretically he's the #2. But both his reads and accuracy left something to be desired. He did improve as the game went on, though, and seemed to be victimized by some of our worst OL play.

Osweiler showed off not only his arm strength, but also a degree of poise I wasn't expecting.

OSUGiants17
08-14-2012, 08:05 PM
Anyone want this Peton sig? Just give me credit if you use it

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o600/osugiants5/33780b35.jpg

v2
http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o600/osugiants5/3ed07f7d.jpg

Diehard
08-15-2012, 10:50 AM
Anyone want this Peton sig? Just give me credit if you use it

Nice work, bro.

Diehard
08-15-2012, 11:20 AM
heh, that sounds unsurprising. though i can't imagine his accuracy was worse than brady quinn's.

Oh no question, he's better than Quinn. Maybe it was just jitters from being in front of the obviously hostile crowd. Too many overthrows on open receivers. He did settle down a bit and threw some decent passes. Other than Manning, he was the one Broncos the homer announcers really talked about... mainly how he always looks decent in preseason but then sucked when it matter last year.

meh. i know i hated the guy, but it's so hard to get excited about a guy showing off against the third team. maybe after saturday's game i'll put away the sour grapes.

I didn't like the selection either - it was very much a luxury pick. So I'm going to hold him to a high standard given his draft position. He *should* beat Hanie out for that #2 spot and from what I've seen/heard so far in the offseason it seems like he's making a decent case. Whether the team will feel comfortable having a rookie backing up Manning is another story, though.

OSUGiants17
08-15-2012, 06:35 PM
Nice work, bro.

Thanks man. You can wear it if you'd like since you don't currently have a sig

Jimmy
08-19-2012, 10:35 PM
joel dreesen should be cut.

Jacob Tamme should be cut

Diehard
08-20-2012, 10:12 AM
Tamme's drop on that TD was inexcusable. I hope Manning ripped him a new one after that botch...

Even with 3 turnovers and the bad drops, our starters outplayed Seattle. It was when the backups came in for the 2nd half that things got ugly. It all begins with the backup OL, which is apparently total dogshit. That puts a pretty hard cap on how effective the backup offense can be. It doesn't help that we have Lance Ball as the backup RB either, whose main selling feature seems to be the fact that he's good on special teams. Oz didn't look great either - just too slow with his decision-making. It was a chance for him to lock up the #2 spot, but he whiffed on it.

I feel better about our depth on defense. Miller and Doom had early nights after seemingly being held for most of the first quarter, but the defense still held up pretty well without them (Irving and Ayers taking those spots for the 2nd quarter). We've got at least 6 solid DBs for the first time in forever. The DL rotation is pretty good as well except Bannon, who was very weak against the run. The LB play is inconsistent, but that's partly because of the amount of youth in that unit. Mays doesn't help either - yes, he hits hard when he connects but he still whiffs or guesses wrong too often - and I think he will eventually be replaced by one of our young guys. In fact, I can easily see a situation where our starting LB's have less that 3 years of NFL experience *combined*... which is a scary thought.

Jimmy
08-24-2012, 09:28 PM
I'm going to absolutely toot my own horn here for a second. We should have ******* drafted Robert Turbin. Hillman has nothing on him so far. Which just makes me even more bitter. We pass on an "injury prone" guy, and land Ronnie. How ironic. Obviously not giving up on Ronnie yet, but ****. The film didn't lie.

Timbathia
08-27-2012, 12:52 AM
We should be pretty competitive this season.

Jimmy
08-27-2012, 07:17 AM
We should be pretty competitive this season.

It's just scary to think where we'd be without a certain player.

Matthew Jones
08-27-2012, 07:50 AM
Does anyone have any predictions regarding whether or not Knowshon Moreno will make the final roster? Is there any chance McDaniels would be receptive to considering bringing Moreno to New England?

jCut
08-28-2012, 01:01 AM
Osweiler still sucks. And Rahim Moore is still a bust.

Diehard
08-29-2012, 12:36 PM
our depth is pathetic. absolutely pathetic. if anyone in the front 7 on defense goes down, we'll give up 4.5 million rushing yards per game. and from what i've seen so far of our starters, we're not drastically better with them all healthy. i sincerely hope it's just preseason scheme.

The depth I'm worried about is the OL - we cannot afford a single injury on the line. Our 2nd and 3rd team offenses are a disaster because of the **** OL play. Unless they pick their play up, this final preseason game is going to be a horror show to watch.

I was quite mesmerized by all the drops by the backup receivers against the 49ers. The 4th and 5th spots are wide open at this point, but you'd never know it based on their performance. Caldwell, Willis, Hill, Orton, etc... someone needs to step up bigtime in the next game.

I think the DL has a decent rotation. LB is a bigger problem because of all the youth and DJ's suspension. At the same time, there's potential to go with the youth - Steve Johnson from Kansas had a nice game which is encouraging considering we are sorely lacking at MLB.

Moreno seems like strictly a 3rd down back - catch passes and block. He's decent at those things, but is that enough to keep him on the roster? I would say no. McGahee, Hillman and Ball seem like locks. JJ is a better runner and more explosive. If we keep a FB (which I think we will), then we might only keep 3 other RB's anyway. If Moreno could be traded for a low pick or a veteran LB, I think that would be the best solution.

All that being said, our starters looked good against the 49ers. I guess we just have to pray the team stays healthy.

Diehard
08-30-2012, 11:38 PM
A few halftime observations:

* Moreno saved his roster spot with his performance tonight

* Danny Trevathan (#59) and Malik Jackson (#70) are rookies who are making strong bids for not only roster spots, but significant playing time come the regular season. Pretty good return on a 5th and a 6th.

* Caleb Hanie is terrible. No pocket presence and slow decision-making. Either Oz or Weber needs to show something... anything... god dammit.

* It's a shame Virgil Green (#85) has a 4 game suspension to start the season, as he's really stepped up his game as both a receiver and blocker. The other TE taken ahead of him in the same draft, Julius Thomas, looks like he wants his sorry ass cut tomorrow.

* The backup OL is ugly to watch. We need help here. Badly.

CT Bronco Fan
08-31-2012, 08:00 PM
Final roster is out, here is our 53

QB (3): Peyton Manning, Caleb Hanie, Brock Osweiler
RB (4): Willis McGahee, Ronnie Hillman, Lance Ball, Knowshon Moreno
FB (1): Chris Gronkowski
WR (5): Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker, Andre Caldwell, Brandon Stokley, Matthew Willis
TE (3): Joel Dressen, Jacon Tamme, Julius Thomas
OT (3): Ryan Clady, Orlando Franklin, Chris Clark
OG (4): Chris Kuper, Zane Beadles, Manny Ramirez, C.J. Davis
C (2): J.D. Walton, Philip Blake

DE (4): Elvis Dumervil, Derek Wolfe, Robert Ayers, Malik Jackson
DT (4): Ty Warren, Justin Bannan, Kevin Vickerson Mitch Unrein
LB (7): Von Miller, Joe Mays, Wesley Woodyard, Keith Brooking, Steven Johnson, Danny Trevathan, Nate Irving
CB (5): Champ Bailey, Tracy Porty, Chris Harris, Omar Bolden, Tony Carter
S (5): Quinton Carter, Mike Adams, Rahim Moore, Davis Bruton, Jim Leonhard

ST (3): Matt Prater, Briton Colquitt, Aaron Brewer

Suspended Reserve: D.J. Williams, Virgil Green

CT Bronco Fan
08-31-2012, 08:08 PM
Kinda shocked we kept 3 QB, even more shocked it was Haine over Weber.

Rcee
09-01-2012, 02:28 AM
Wolfe has been playing end in our base and kicking inside for nickle/dime packages.

Love keeping carter over squid/florence. I also like that we held onto steve johnson and trevathon.

Unfortunately we still have hanie, knowshon and old man brooking. Caleb hanie is garbo, jerimiah johnson was my least favorite cut, compound that with holding onto slowshon makes it that much worse. Keith brooking is ancient and pmuch useless at this point. Didn't like signing andre caldwell, then seeing him drop like five very catchable balls in the preseason further reinforced my disdain for him. Julius thomas has shown nothing, once green gets back from suspension I expect he'll take his spot (at least I hope)on the roster.

Just one dudes opinion.

Jimmy
09-09-2012, 10:46 PM
sooooo uhhhhh......

wow?

Timbathia
09-09-2012, 11:31 PM
If we can figure out how to gt the defense off the field on third and long, we may be onto something.

Diehard
09-10-2012, 02:12 AM
Great win to start the season.

* The offense moved the ball pretty much at will. Manning was in full field general mode and made good use of his weapons. It's hard to be critical of anything on this side of the ball.

* Joe Mays either lights it up or looks like a fool. He doesn't seem to have any middle ground. Unfortunately, there was too much "fool" tonight.

* The defense could've easily had 4 picks if they held on to the ball. More focus, please. Giving Big Ben second chances is asking for trouble.

* The Porter/Champ combination looks very good... too bad the safeties aren't anywhere close to that level.

Diehard
09-10-2012, 10:42 AM
it would be great if we'd stop using linebackers to cover people they can't keep up with. i "can't wait" to watch joe mays try to cover gronkowski or jimmy graham.

This seems like it's been a problem since forever. DJ is fast, but can't cover worth ****. Woodyard is a little better, but he got schooled last night by the Steelers. Mays is a disaster. Miller has some potential, but it's almost a victory for the other team to have him in coverage instead of disrupting the play.

I will say this, though, Woodyard was a force in pursuit when he wasn't getting beaten in coverage. That's what you want from your WLB. DJ may have superior athletic ability, but instincts and football smarts count for a lot at LB.

Diehard
09-10-2012, 05:47 PM
but yeah, if mays is still on the field, we have a serious and severe talent deficiency at LB. i love the guy, but he's just not very good. we really need one of the young guys to be able to run with a TE, or we need to quit putting linebackers on the field on third down.

I believe they put Adams on Heath Miller later in the game and it worked out better... the old big nickle. It would help if we had a better group of safeties, though.

jCut
09-18-2012, 08:09 AM
This lack of a consistent pass rush is completely unacceptable with all of the talent on the d-line. It's mind-boggling. And I hope that's the final nail in Moreno's coffin.

Diehard
09-18-2012, 10:20 AM
how bad must hillman be if he's inactive while garbage like moreno and ball are actually getting into games? just awesome.

Hillman's hammy + lack of experience in pass protect means they are going to be cautious about putting him on the field.

and yes - the refs were ****.

They were.... I actually lost my mind watching the early part of the game and had to take a timeout. Not only did they fail to make the calls, but they proved unequal to the task of managing the game as a whole.

they still didn't force peyton to throw those passes. they didn't force moreno to be the worst player of all time. and they didn't force del rio to shift into a zone with 15 yards of underneath padding on a crucial 3rd and 4.

And yet with all of that, we came back and made it interesting. I think that is the positive to take away from the game. There were times in the past when a few bad breaks early pretty much caused the team to give up (e.g. that debacle against the Raiders at home a few years back).

Rcee
09-20-2012, 12:38 AM
Agree with everything except there being no pass rush. We were getting consistent pressure against pitt week 1 but ben was ben. Monday was more atl calling a lot of quick pass plays, often with matty ice throwing with someone in his face.

Some things worth noting; walton and beadles have looked so much better thus far this season. Still not sold on either, but it's nice to see.

DT looks like hes peytons go to guy, despite nearly everyone thinking it'd be decker. I hope he can stay healthy the whole year.

Our dt rotation has looked great. Unrein has been a big surprise. Foster/tate are the real test though.

Rahim moore seems to be playing much more instinctive, it'd be nice to see him actually hang onto the ball for the pick just once though.

Rcee
09-24-2012, 12:31 PM
Manny looked terrible yesterday. If course he was goin up against probably the hottest defensive player in the league atm.

Mike adams had a bad day.

Rcee
09-25-2012, 11:31 PM
rahim moore has been really solid so far this year. mike mostly up and down.

Timbathia
10-01-2012, 09:44 PM
Yeah, the dream makes me extremely nervous. Has some promise though.

Rcee
10-02-2012, 01:53 AM
mike adams looked really good sunday against the raiders. then again, pmuch everyone wearing orange did. rahim hasn't made a lot of splash plays, but he no longer looks autistic out there.

i'm scared to see dan koppen against wilfork this week though.

Diehard
10-02-2012, 03:36 PM
i'm more scared to see gronkowski vs. our linebackers. and welker/edelman on short crossing routes.

peyton better be prepared to score 60.

This. The Patriots are a tough matchup for any back 7 and we lack the kind of interior pass rush needed to really get in Brady's grill. If all the pressure is coming from the outside, he'll step up and work the middle of the field all day long.

I wonder if we'll see Brooking start over Mays again, even with Mays now done his suspension. Against the Pats, I'd take brains and experience over the human cannonball act.

Rcee
10-03-2012, 12:15 AM
i'd expect woodyard to be the primary coverage guy on gronk with safety help over the top. thank god hernandez is likely out (i think?).

i'd much rather see ayers start at DE with wolfe primarily playing UT, but del rio has been pretty god damn stubborn apparently.

Matthew Jones
10-06-2012, 05:05 AM
My Broncos/Patriots preview is up on NEPatriotsDraft:

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2012/10/denver-broncos-at-new-england-patriots-ten-keys-to-week-five.html#more-20745

I'm pretty nervous about this game, mostly because of New England's lack of healthy receivers.

Nalej
10-06-2012, 02:34 PM
My Broncos/Patriots preview is up on NEPatriotsDraft:

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2012/10/denver-broncos-at-new-england-patriots-ten-keys-to-week-five.html#more-20745

I'm pretty nervous about this game, mostly because of New England's lack of healthy receivers.

and healthy TEs and S's.

AntoinCD
10-06-2012, 03:20 PM
we can't cover anyone you decide to play at TE, i wouldn't worry about it. and we probably can't stop ridley.

so as long as the entire playbook doesn't consist of 'get woodhead the ball, whatever it takes' again, you'll probably be fine.

Come on, particulrly as a Broncos fan you should never under estimate the lunacy of Josh McDaniels

bigbluedefense
10-06-2012, 04:00 PM
Whatever happened to Nate Irving? I was a big fan of his coming out. But I haven't heard much from him at all so far in his NFL career.

bigbluedefense
10-09-2012, 09:42 AM
also, i really want te'o. our linebackers are pathetic.

So I guess this indirectly answers my inquiry on Nate Irving...

I thought he was gonna be good too. Sucks. I was rooting for him.

bigbluedefense
10-09-2012, 11:39 AM
oops, sorry, i missed your post. apparently he's just not very good? i dunno. i haven't seen him play a down. which means, if he can't even beat out crap like mays he's probably not worth much.

It's tough to say with Fox. His biggest flaw is he's waaaaaay too loyal to his veterans.

Diehard
10-09-2012, 11:55 AM
Mays is at the top in terms of % of defensive snaps played. My read is that the team sees something in him that they are hoping will translate to the field... but it just ain't happening. He whiffs or guesses wrong way too often, and is a total liability on 3rd down. Brooking at MLB makes a lot more sense to me.

It's tough to say with Fox. His biggest flaw is he's waaaaaay too loyal to his veterans.

Nate Irving is officially the backup to Von Miller at SLB. He actually flashed some stuff in preseason, but he's behind our most dynamic player on D - unless Von is totally gassed/hurt, Irving isn't going to see the field.

bigbluedefense
10-09-2012, 12:00 PM
Mays is at the top in terms of % of defensive snaps played. My read is that the team sees something in him that they are hoping will translate to the field... but it just ain't happening. He whiffs or guesses wrong way too often, and is a total liability on 3rd down. Brooking at MLB makes a lot more sense to me.

Nate Irving is officially the backup to Von Miller at SLB. He actually flashed some stuff in preseason, but he's behind our most dynamic player on D - unless Von is totally gassed/hurt, Irving isn't going to see the field.

You guys need to go back to a 3-4 defense. You have the pieces for it, but the coaching staff isn't a 3-4 staff.

Play Von at SOLB, Dooms at WOLB, Irving at SILB in a role similar to Lawrence Timmons, and a speed WILB in an attacking 1 gap 34 front. The DT you guys drafted, I forgot his name, but he can easily play LE in a 1 gap 34.

You just need a 5 tech and NT. DJ can play WILB.

And some DBs.

I'm sure Jack uses a lot of over formations that are basically 34 looks anyway, but get Nate out there. I want to see what he can do in a thumper/attacking role inside next to Von.

Cunningham
10-15-2012, 09:16 PM
well, looks like we covered all of our bases in the first half. peyton pick six facing san diego, check. two fumbles lost on special teams, check. obligatory two touchdowns given up to gates, check. a receiver doing something inconceivable after the catch, check.

can't wait to see the second half.

Cunningham
10-15-2012, 10:41 PM
******* right! absolutely insane game. epitome of "tale of two halves".

Rosebud
10-15-2012, 10:57 PM
what the ******* **** is with this team.

You have a Manning now.

Rosebud
10-15-2012, 11:10 PM
he's like... 'dudes, you all need to fail at all times in the first half. i need more comeback victories.'

Peyton's been studying Eli, he now knows that if you don't make it hard on yourself in the regular season, you won't have clutchnezzz n rezilienze in the playoffs.

Diehard
10-15-2012, 11:34 PM
******* right! absolutely insane game. epitome of "tale of two halves".

The fact the team didn't fold after those early errors was remarkable... but it was the Chargers folding in the end that really put the smile on my face.

Diehard
10-16-2012, 10:39 AM
yup. though i wish i could say we actually won the game, rather than just saying the chargers lost it.

Momentum and morale are elusive things. On the drive that gave us the lead, our offense wasn't going to be denied. You could just feel it. That has to have a huge effect on a defense.

Now the Charger offense was a different story. They just folded.

Timbathia
10-16-2012, 08:02 PM
If we could somehow stop the absurd errors (dropping footballs when catching or running, tripping over grass blades, running completely wrong routes, etc.), then we are actually a pretty good team.

Diehard
10-19-2012, 05:15 PM
there are just so many weaknesses on this defense. i dunno. i can't tell if the team that gets us back into every game, or the team that can't stop a 3rd down conversion is the real broncos.

It sure seems like the halftime adjustments make a big difference.

The best thing for the defense would be for the offense and return game to stop misfiring early. The defense will look good playing with a lead.

Diehard
10-29-2012, 12:25 AM
i really like holliday when he doesn't fumble the ball.

He's great at making the first guy miss and he read his blocks well. Hopefully he can keep it up.

Solid game all around tonight. The early fumble was a ugly moment... and unfortunately typical for the team this year. However it was smooth sailing after that.

The offense is really starting to click. Manning is making excellent use of the weapons he has available. The one back formation with either a TE or WR in the slot is a tough one for other teams... so much Manning can do from that one. We've got lots of weapons too - hell, with Virgil Green making some plays tonight that gives us six decent receivers (3 TE's, 3 WR's). Not bad. The McGahee + Hillman combo looks to be a good one as well.

Credit the defense for keeping the Saints under control. The young guys are playing well and having Brooking there as the steady, veteran hand seems to be working out. I'm not buying in to all the hype/hyperbole that the announcers were getting into tonight, but as long as this side of the ball plays moderately well we'll have a great chance to win some more games.

Diehard
10-30-2012, 06:10 PM
i still don't like: our safeties, our linebackers, and the complete lack of push from our DTs. it would be awesome if wolfe were an nfl caliber DT, but he just isn't. he's not a bad player at DE, but i don't see him ever being a great DT without adding a ton of bulk.

Wolfe is a power DE who can slide to DT on passing downs. We've seen more stunts recently and I suspect that's to advantage of his energy (and play down his lack of bulk). I think he'll end up being very productive for us.

The LB situation is pretty fluid - I think we'll eventually settle on a smaller, faster corps like Fox had in Carolina. DJ's foolishness and Mays' injury have certainly helped speed up that process. There are definitely going to be growing pains (see Trevathan getting beaten like a rented mule by Sproles) but there have also been some nice flashes of potential.

It was interesting to see we promoted a safety after Mays went down. We've seen a fair amount of big nickle the last few games with the extra S on the TE. I suspect that trend will continue.

Diehard
11-02-2012, 05:55 PM
i'm not saying wolfe sucks, but we still need 2 down DT's to plug gaps. i don't believe wolfe can do that.

Agreed. Maybe he'll put on weight as he matures, maybe not. Either way, we need to grab another DT in the draft.

Diehard
11-03-2012, 11:53 AM
regarding the draft, i would literally kill someone to move up and take te'o.

That may very well happen. MLB is our biggest need by far. We've also got a lot of young players on the team already, so there's not the pressure that comes with trying to overhaul an aging roster.

If Walton and Carter can come back at full strength, we'll have a fair amount of flexibility on draft day. MLB and DT seem like they will be locks... maybe a power RB as well. After that, we're looking at what? Depth for the secondary, receiver and OL? Sounds like a good position to be in to consider a potential trade-up.

Diehard
11-04-2012, 01:42 PM
105 yard KR by Holliday to rip things open...

jCut
11-04-2012, 11:08 PM
105 yard KR by Holliday to rip things open...

A GREAT pickup. Brings an element to our special teams that we haven't had in a while.

A solid road win today, though the loss of Chris Kuper really stings. Manny Ramirez is a massive downgrade.

Diehard
11-11-2012, 04:17 PM
If we have an Achilles' heel, it's fumbles. We put the ball on the ground *way* too often.

Other than that, things are looking pretty good. The offense can move the ball, the defense is firing on all cylinders and we've got some playmakers on special teams.

Finally, a shout out to Robert Ayers... he played pretty well against Cincy and today he was wreaking havoc out there. I'm hoping the light has finally turned on for him.

Timbathia
11-11-2012, 06:44 PM
Shame Doom is hurt, but hopefully we can get by without him for the short term.

Also nice that we can do so many things wrong in one game and still win easily.

Von Miller is sick.

jCut
11-11-2012, 11:29 PM
Del Rio is bringing out the best in everybody on defense.

Diehard
11-18-2012, 08:40 PM
We had the opportunity to really take control of the AFC West and we capitalized. That's encouraging.

The disappointing thing was the lack of execution by the offense. We should've scored gobs of points while the Chargers were getting snuffed by the D - instead it was a mixed bag of overthrows, drops and miscues. McGahee getting injured certainly didn't help the consistency on offense... the lack of second power back really hurt. That's something the team definitely needs to address in the offseason.

Timbathia
11-18-2012, 11:30 PM
Hillman looks a lot better when he is coming in to spell McGahee. He looks awful when he is there for an obvious run situation.

Am I the only one who is EXTREMELY nervous every time the ball is kicked to Holliday? Obviously once the ball is in his hands and he has started running he looks great, but he looks so suspect judging and catching the ball. I am worried he will cost us an important game at the end of the season.

Decker has disappeared the past two weeks. Is he playing hurt?

gpngc
11-18-2012, 11:47 PM
Watched the whole game.

Decker is not hurt he's just not getting many looks. No big reason. He's still blocking like a beast on crackbacks.

Why do you think Holliday got cut? lol he's a huge risk-reward back there.

The WR screen was the reason for the Stokley TD and I think another fake screen was a big play but I may be misremembering.

This team, to me, is the favorite for the Super Bowl. Good HC, GOAT QB, pass rushers. I'd be shocked if they didn't make it to AT LEAST the AFCCG.

I wonder what McGahee's injury is.

Diehard
11-19-2012, 10:06 AM
he doesn't even look that good then, unless the hole is 12 feet wide. i think his vision is suspect, and he apparently can't make the first guy miss. i know he's a rookie, but nothing he's done has been impressive so far.

Right now, he's just a speed guy. He tries to bounce everything to the outside... which is usually a sign that he's not really reading his blocks. He's young and a rookie - he'll put on some weight over the next few years and the game will slow down for him. Then we'll see.

Atm, though, the Ball/Hillman combination pushes us too much toward the passing game. Our bread-n-butter run plays are inside the tackles - whether zone blocking, having a pulling OG lead or multiple double teams on the DL... that's where McGahee really earned his yards. Ball is okay in the zone scheme but still doesn't pick his way through the interior trash enough to be a reliable option.

Diehard
11-19-2012, 12:20 PM
We need another power back with vision. I honestly can't understand why that is so difficult to evaluate - those things should be apparent from the game tape. The trick is, you've got to avoid being dazzled by the plays where a back takes a quick pitch and races for an 80-yard TD... or the OL is so dominant that the holes are big enough for a truck to drive through.

As for Ball vs Hillman, obviously Ball gives you more options at this point even if he lacks any real impact ability. Neither is really a great option, though. I'm thinking we'll see your favorite sauced HB activated this week...

Diehard
11-19-2012, 02:13 PM
McGahee - torn MCL and leg fracture. Out 6-8 weeks. Pretty much sticks a fork in his season.

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora

Looks like we're going to be working out some RB's... I guess the FO doesn't like our depth much either.

Diehard
11-25-2012, 05:50 PM
The positives:

* We won

* Moreno ran pretty well subbing for McGahee

* The defense handled the Chiefs' meager passing game easily

The negatives:

* Kuper should not have been playing. He got pushed around bigtime. I know Manny Rameriez (sp?) is a poor substitute, but better to play him than have Kuper underperform and risk further injury.

* Manning didn't have his best day. The pick was a terrible decision and he held the ball far too long on multiple occasions.

* Drops by the receivers. It's just painful to watch.

* Run defense. We knew they were going to run to protect Quinn... why the **** were we playing so many nickle looks and light fronts?

* Prater... seriously WTF? Two missed FG's and a knuckleball kickoff. I hope Fox read him the riot act.

Diehard
11-26-2012, 01:11 PM
what a god awful game.

Speaking of god awful - your sig is a revolting eyesore. Tell me you aren't going to be sporting that for long...

Despite all the tough talk about playing a division opponent, the Arrowhead challenge, and other blahblah - the Broncos came out flat and lacked focus. It's pretty clear they were looking past this one. Stupid? Yes. Entirely predictable? Yes. I'm sure Fox is frustrated - getting these guys motivated to bring their A game every week is apparently a very tough task.