PDA

View Full Version : Denver Broncos Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13

vidae
11-26-2012, 01:19 PM
Speaking of god awful - your sig is a revolting eyesore. Tell me you aren't going to be sporting that for long...

That is what happens when he bets against me. And that sig is a masterpiece.

yeah, it's hideous. it makes me happy i have to keep sigs turned off for work anyways.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: <3 :)

Diehard
11-27-2012, 05:04 PM
That is what happens when he bets against me. And that sig is a masterpiece.

Definitely calls for sigs to be turned off, except the damage has already been done... that which has been seen cannot be unseen.

Diehard
12-02-2012, 04:31 PM
We really need help at RB. The lack of any kind of reliable play at that position is dragging down the offense. The inside running is the key - we've had our most success when we can pound the rock between the tackles and spread the D out with our receivers.

Timbathia
12-02-2012, 08:06 PM
this is really appalling.

At least it got better.

Timbathia
12-03-2012, 07:23 PM
It will be interesting to see if we start to use Hester. Surely a fullback will be useful enough in our offense. When Peyton checks into a run - hit the hole as hard as you can and keep your legs moving til a knee hits the ground. Much better than tip toe to the line of scrimmage, pause behind a o-lineman and then cautiously step out from behind him into the waiting arms of a defender.

What the **** is going on with Prater? While generally we are playing well, there are so many small things that are far from ideal, and he is one of them at the moment.

Diehard
12-04-2012, 11:32 AM
It will be interesting to see if we start to use Hester. Surely a fullback will be useful enough in our offense.

In the absence of McGahee, we need someone who can run between the tackles in short yardage situations. If Hester shows he can do that, then we'd might as well see how effective he'd be on the various stretch runs we've been using. I think a big, strong back is the best complement to what we do in the passing game.

What the **** is going on with Prater? While generally we are playing well, there are so many small things that are far from ideal, and he is one of them at the moment.

Prater is definitely struggling. He's always been an odd case where he's good at long range but misses more intermediate range kicks, but the last few weeks have been ugly. He needs to get his head screwed on right... an erratic kicker is exactly what we don't need going into the playoffs.

brat316
12-04-2012, 11:56 AM
Lets go Donkeys, superbowl bound with your horse face GM!!!

Diehard
12-07-2012, 02:37 PM
Well, another win... that's the good news.

The bad news is that we should've *buried* the Raiders. It sure seemed like the Broncos took their collective foot off the pedal after grabbing an early lead. I know that Fox is ultra-conservative, but it seemed that was taking it a little too far.

Diehard
12-07-2012, 09:25 PM
didn't see the game, but it looked like a pretty 'meh' effort, from the play-by-play and box score. at least we haven't lost yet to a team we should've beat. that's a massive step up from... well... most of the last two decades.

They demonstrated some killer instinct on the first drive and I was really hoping that would set the tone for the game. Instead, they kinda went into coast mode after the first two scores. Most of the second half was about grinding the clock down.

Ramierez was in again - Kuper was a late scratch... and that wasn't a good development. I think OG should be on our wish list come draft day.

Diehard
12-16-2012, 05:02 PM
Nice to finally beat the Ravens in their house - it seems that game is on our schedule far too often.

Running game + playaction was what made the offense tick today. The Ravens didn't really have an answer once we started pounding the ball off guard.

The defense again locked things down for most of the game. Once we were in clock-grinding mode (which was pretty much all of Q4) we gave up some easy TD's... unfortunate but predictable at this point.

jCut
12-16-2012, 07:45 PM
Don't want to get ahead of myself, but we should end the season on an 11 game win streak. That's impressive.

cmarq83
12-16-2012, 07:51 PM
Seriously Brady what was that?

Diehard
12-16-2012, 11:14 PM
Don't want to get ahead of myself, but we should end the season on an 11 game win streak. That's impressive.

We need to pull it off. The thing I am most concerned about is having an away game at the Patriots.... which now can be avoided.

Diehard
12-24-2012, 12:01 PM
yes, exactly! their loss tonight was so huge for us. get the bye and get a game, at least, at home. they're still a terrifying team in the playoffs, but far less so away from gillette.

Things are looking favorable. We'll see what happens with the Texans & Colts... if the Texans lose then we'll be playing KC with the #1 seed on the line.

Diehard
12-26-2012, 12:07 AM
the team looks so different (i don't just mean peyton) from the last, say, decade. i don't know if it's coaching, or personnel, or what, but they look like they... care, i guess. some of those teams that folded in december never looked like they really cared if they got into the playoffs or not.

It all starts at QB. Manning brings a lot of things, including leadership and accountability. Cutler? Orton? Not so much.

Fox & Co have also brought an intensity to the defense that I haven't seen in a long, long time. Maybe not Romo style out-of-your-mind-craziness... more like the kind of on-field ferocity that Wilson and Lynch brought to the table.

Diehard
12-30-2012, 05:51 PM
Things are looking favorable. We'll see what happens with the Texans & Colts... if the Texans lose then we'll be playing KC with the #1 seed on the line.

That worked out pretty well...

DBNYDP
12-30-2012, 09:28 PM
Its weird coming back and starting to see happy njx posts.
Personally I'm incredibly nervous, we have a good shot this year and that worries me. I mean last year it seemed so ridiculous what we were doing so it was fine to go with it but now that we're doing so well...

Cunningham
12-31-2012, 12:00 AM
What a crazy season this has been. There's been so many different things that, as a Denver fan, you have to be absolutely thrilled with. For starters, the development of the second year players is simply striking. Von has certainly become one of the premier players in the league, building on an already impressive rookie season. Franklin, though benefiting from Manning's wherewithal inside the pocket, has become a more than solid all around player at a position that I thought he would never have the ability to play at the NFL level. Rahim has had a complete turnaround from his rookie season. Even Chris Harris, a pleasant surprise last year as an undrafted rookie, seems to have become as good of a nickel cornerback as there is in the league (as long as he's not defending Welker).

Elway and Fox have completely transformed the franchise, making the final years of Shanahan and the entire McDaniels regime distant memories. Manning has been everything as advertised, and then some. Here's to hoping that Brock is actually able to pick up a few things from having Manning around. If Brock can get the mental side of the game down, as well as the preparation and dedication that all franchise QBs possess, he could have a long and successful career here in Denver.

Diehard
12-31-2012, 01:05 AM
all i want is to not play new england if we make it to the afccg. i think we can beat any other team we'd play. i don't think i'd give us better than coin flip odds against the patriots, though at least they wouldn't have two weeks to prepare new ways to screw up peyton.

* We won't see the Texans if they win... they'll be off to Foxboro to get mauled again.

* We beat both the Ravens and Bengals on the road - getting either one at home should be a very winnable game

* The Colts are a question mark as they has some intangibles... but their poor run defense doesn't bode well for playoff success

None of these teams should beat NE at home. It sure seems like a Broncos-Pat showdown is looming...

elway=goat
01-01-2013, 10:47 PM
I have no doubt we steamroll anyone outside of New England, as far as the AFC goes. Our offense is clicking, our defense is solid. I am very confident we will be playing New England at Mile High, come the AFC championship game.

The question is, will things be different than the last time we faced them? We were still having some issues running the no huddle, and were working out kinks in the offense. Those issues appear to be over. DT and Decker are a very difficult matchup, for anyone. Big physical WR like that, with Manning at the QB are very difficult to cover, especially with everyone on the same page. It has also helped open up the running game.

On the flip side, New England now has Gronk back. This is the first time both TE's are healthy since like week 2. Gronk unlike last year, and fresh, healthy legs. Which could be a problem, and I believe they would of won the SB with a healthy Gronk. I like our defense, they are solid. But this is going to be extremely difficult. Champ, and Miller are 2 of the best in the league, Woodyard has played great, I like Wolfe. We're solid, but still have some holes that will be addressed in the draft. That doesnt help us now.

That's why I am a little nervous about that game. Also, we haven't played a good offense in awhile. So I will be curious how our D handles that test. Pats scare me, if they some how get knocked off, I will be extatic because it will be a cake walk to the SB. When I look at these teams.. I can't help but think what a weak group of teams are in it from the AFC. There are really only 2 teams capable of winning the super bowl, us and the Pats.

But let's assume we make it to the SB. I only see 2 contenders. Packers, and 9ers one of them will knock off the Falcons. How do we match up against those teams? The Packers are a down graded version of the Pats imo. The 49ers are kind a wild card here. They basically have a rookie QB. But have a great coach, and are stacked and experienced everywhere else.

I think we can beat either. But might have a tough time if the 9ers are clicking. Particularly the defense. I believe we beat either of them. Any time you have 1 game to win for a championship.. It's always a crap shoot. But looking on paper, the only team that scares me are the Pats.

Diehard
01-02-2013, 01:10 PM
The question is, will things be different than the last time we faced them?

We can't afford early turnovers and need to be able to weather their initial offensive gameplan. When they get a quick lead due to one or both of those things working in their favor, it is very difficult to come back and beat them.

DBNYDP
01-04-2013, 12:33 AM
I'm keying in Dumervil and Moreno as the key players for a run. Von Miller has been great all year at rushing the passer so I'm not too worried about him, but Dumervil has had periods where he has straight up struggled. I think how he plays is going to be a big reason our defense stops or submits to a top QB. Moreno just needs to run well especially if conditions are bad, if he does so it'll help our offensive balance and our defense out too. For some reason I just feel a big postseason from Moreno, reminiscent of TD times.

Diehard
01-04-2013, 12:33 PM
anyone have odds on how soon after the season del rio goes someplace? i can't imagine going through two straight seasons with the same dc.

I think he's staying a Bronco.

If the Raiders struggle again next year, does he replace Dennis Allen there? That would be ultra-wierd and give the TV talking heads all sorts of ammo... yet JDR to the Raiders does seem like a good fit.

elway=goat
01-08-2013, 09:42 AM
anyone have odds on how soon after the season del rio goes someplace? i can't imagine going through two straight seasons with the same dc.

I think it depends on how far we go. More than likely, by the end of next season, both coordinators are gone is my guess.

DBNYDP
01-12-2013, 08:17 PM
...well ****

jCut
01-12-2013, 08:53 PM
Devastating loss. Wow. Too much blame to go around, but a lot of credit goes to the Ravens. Their offense played very well and their defense made timely plays.

TitanHope
01-12-2013, 09:00 PM
You guys were the only playoff team I was rooting for. Sorry guys.

thetedginnshow
01-12-2013, 09:07 PM
If you want Tebow back, we'll give you Tebow back.

elway=goat
01-13-2013, 02:46 AM
I am absolutely digusted. Every aspect of the team, outside of maybe special teams was a complete failure. 3 straight penalties on that first Raven drive coming out of halftime? 4 total of the drive? Doom and Von getting fooled by Flacco? They looked completely undisciplined.

It finally may be time for Champ to move to free saftey. All great corners seem to make that transition in the twilight of their careers, looks like his time is now. He looked like a complete fool all game. Probably one of the worst games I have seen him play. Possibly only the Bengals and Eagles games in 04 were worse.

Let's move onto Peyton Manning... I have been scanning over different blogs, and message boards post game. Patriot fans are absolutely loving this. One called in "The sweetest irony".. Peyton Manning is now tied for the lead, for most playoff loses by a QB in NFL history. Brady has the chance to become sole posseser of most playoff wins by a QB.

This loss also extended Manning alltime lead in playoff one and dones, to 8. His 3 turnovers turned into 17 points. Including the game winning field goal. I believe he is now either 0-4 or 0-5, in games where it is 40 degrees or under. That is a serious problem gentlemen. How can anyone ever again be confident going into a playoff game with him as the QB. We have seen a almost 20 year track record with him, dating back to college! The same exact thing, almost everytime he takes the field for a playoff game.

It is absolutely mind blowing to me, that he has had 8 one and dones in the playoffs. Atleast 2 of those, he has led teams that have been the number 1 seed. I just am at a loss for words. This offseason, and the draft.. I am not even sure where to go. Where to start.

The Alex
01-13-2013, 03:21 AM
Let's move onto Peyton Manning... I have been scanning over different blogs, and message boards post game. Patriot fans are absolutely loving this. One called in "The sweetest irony".. Peyton Manning is now tied for the lead, for most playoff loses by a QB in NFL history. Brady has the chance to become sole posseser of most playoff wins by a QB.

This loss also extended Manning alltime lead in playoff one and dones, to 8. His 3 turnovers turned into 17 points. Including the game winning field goal. I believe he is now either 0-4 or 0-5, in games where it is 40 degrees or under. That is a serious problem gentlemen. How can anyone ever again be confident going into a playoff game with him as the QB. We have seen a almost 20 year track record with him, dating back to college! The same exact thing, almost everytime he takes the field for a playoff game.

It is absolutely mind blowing to me, that he has had 8 one and dones in the playoffs. Atleast 2 of those, he has led teams that have been the number 1 seed. I just am at a loss for words. This offseason, and the draft.. I am not even sure where to go. Where to start.

Brady and Manning have virtually identical postseason passing numbers. The only thing that is different are the wins. If two players provide identical production, but their records are different, do you really think one is significantly better or worse than the other? I know I don't. Why are their records different? Because there is more to football than just the quarterback.

elway=goat
01-13-2013, 05:11 AM
Brady and Manning have virtually identical postseason passing numbers. The only thing that is different are the wins. If two players provide identical production, but their records are different, do you really think one is significantly better or worse than the other? I know I don't. Why are their records different? Because there is more to football than just the quarterback.

I can care less about numbers. Going by your logic, Matt schaub is a top 10 qb of all time. Manning gets all the credit, and called the GOAT when Manning led teams finish with the best record, best offense, and year after year a top super bowl contender. But whenever Manning led team chokes, its the team.

Just an absolute ridiculous contridiction. His numbers were inflated with 3-4 insane, Manning regular season type performances. More often than not, they are most consistent to what we saw last night.

You can not possibly tell me its just a coincidence or chance that Manning led teams happen to fail miserably in playoffs/bowl games. Even in the superbowl he was carried. If not for a bears defensive breakdown, that left wayne wide open they would of won by field goals and rex grossman.

Manning has had a knack for turning the ball over in critical moments of games. I don't believe its coincidence that manning led teams have a 66% chance to be bounced in the first game. Be it number 1 seed or not. I dont believe its coincidence that Manning led teams are 0-5 in 40 degrees or below games. You have one game to win, regardless of numbers (which mannings are inflated anyways from playing in the dome), would anyone really take Manning over Brady at this point? After 20 years of this?

I mean, I admit. . Brady's play has dropped off since his first 4 or so trips. But even in the SB's vs the Giants he drove down the field when they needed it the most. But they left too much time of the clock. But, even so.. I never get the feeling watching Brady, especially in the playoffs and especially late in a playoff game, that Brady is going to do something that will cost him and his team the game. With Manning, at this point I just kinda expect it. With virtually the same team as last year, Peyton Manning took this team as far as Tim Tebow did. Its a fact. Im just so disappointed. I feel sick.

The Alex
01-13-2013, 05:20 AM
I can care less about numbers.

Stopped reading there.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvflivni4w1qktgrzo1_400.jpg

elway=goat
01-13-2013, 05:35 AM
Stopped reading there.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvflivni4w1qktgrzo1_400.jpg

Meh.. fine. Your entitled to your opinion, but when statistics say that Tony Romo is a better QB than Montana, Marino, Elway, on par with Manning and a notch below Brady.. Fine. I cant that serious. If thats what you use to tell players apart I feel bad for you. I guess we can agree to disagree on the topic.

elway=goat
01-13-2013, 05:51 AM

I can care less about numbers. Going by your logic, Matt schaub is a top 10 qb of all time. Manning gets all the credit, and called the GOAT when Manning led teams finish with the best record, best offense, and year after year a top super bowl contender. But whenever Manning led team chokes, its the team.

Just an absolute ridiculous contridiction. His numbers were inflated with 3-4 insane, Manning regular season type performances. More often than not, they are most consistent to what we saw last night.

You can not possibly tell me its just a coincidence or chance that Manning led teams happen to fail miserably in playoffs/bowl games. Even in the superbowl he was carried. If not for a bears defensive breakdown, that left wayne wide open they would of won by field goals and rex grossman.

Manning has had a knack for turning the ball over in critical moments of games. I don't believe its coincidence that manning led teams have a 66% chance to be bounced in the first round. Be it number 1 seed or not. I dont believe its coincidence that Manning led teams are 0-5 in 40 degrees or below games. You have one game to win, regardless of numbers (which mannings are inflated anyways from playing in the dome), would anyone really take Manning over Brady at this point? After 20 years of this?

I mean, I admit. . Brady's play has dropped off since his first 4 or so trips. But even in the SB's vs the Giants he drove down the field when they needed it the most. But they left too much time of the clock. But, even so.. I never get the feeling watching Brady, especially in the playoffs and especially late in a playoff game, that Brady is going to do something that will cost him and his team the game. With Manning, at this point I just kinda expect it. With virtually the same team as last year, Peyton Manning took this team as far as Tim Tebow did. Its a fact. Im just so disappointed. I feel sick.

burkorama
01-13-2013, 07:49 AM

Manning has had a knack for turning the ball over in critical moments of games. I don't believe its coincidence that manning led teams have a 66% chance to be bounced in the first round. Be it number 1 seed or not. I dont believe its coincidence that Manning led teams are 0-5 in 40 degrees or below games. You have one game to win, regardless of numbers (which mannings are inflated anyways from playing in the dome), would anyone really take Manning over Brady at this point? After 20 years of this?

All things being equal, I can agree that Manning's playoff track record leaves a little bit to be desired, but you're being a self-righteous moron. He's had his fair share of great performances in the playoffs, even if he's had some key turnovers and hasn't been himself sometimes. The point is that he can't be labeled an incompetent choker. As for last night, with the exception of that last throw, he didn't make any grievous mistakes. Clearly, though you're too bitter and sanctimonious to acknowledge it, the first interception was not his fault. The throw was fine, if a little saucy, but Decker was interfered with and he could have made the catch anyway. And what about those two absolutely brilliant touchdown passes in the first half? Take away the pick that wasn't his fault and his rating is right at 100, yet you complain about his statistical performance? Perhaps you would have preferred Tebow frolicking about in the pocket instead, completing fewer than 50% of his passes and sputtering the offense? The Broncos are lucky to have Manning, he's more or less solely responsible for the 5 win jump from last year, and they'll be big-time contenders until he decides to hang it up. Relax. GG.

DBNYDP
01-13-2013, 08:53 AM
Lets be honest, while the Broncos offense has their share of blame this rests on the defense. Our famed pass rush was...well not there. Bailey got beat. And Rahim Moore made the worst play of the year.

jCut
01-13-2013, 11:43 AM
And Rahim Moore made the worst play of the year.

This. The single most frustrating moment of the game. I almost pulled all of my hair out.

J-Mike88
01-13-2013, 02:31 PM
Lets be honest, while the Broncos offense has their share of blame this rests on the defense. Our famed pass rush was...well not there. Bailey got beat. And Rahim Moore made the worst play of the year.
Nobody can relate to what you guys feel more than we cheeseheads feel.
Not only last night's defensive flop making Kaepernick look like a 2002 Michael Vick/1984 Dan Marino hybrid, but last year when we rolled to the #1 seed, then flopped out at home in our first playoff game.

I was going to ask who the hell #26 is because he, not Manning, is the one who blew that game.

When up 7, 35 seconds left, and the team 65 yards away, you should win that game, 99% of the time.

They had that safety in perfect position, and the ***** idiot misplayed a pop up. He should have either had an Int, or just knocked it away.
But he glued his feet down and was a foot too short. WTF? He's the guy I blame more than Manning.

I'm 7/8 in my playoff pool, but the one miss was your game, and I had you guys beating SF in the Super Bowl, so now my brackets are all busted because of that.

It is true, Manning has been Favre-like in the playoffs, with Ints at the worst possible moments.
But that game was wrapped up until that guy did that... kind of like us allowing a Hail Mary TD to Eli Manning as the first half expired last year in the playoffs.
***** these stupid safeties.

America
01-13-2013, 02:34 PM
Peyton is still the greatest player there ever was and ever will be.

Timbathia
01-13-2013, 07:42 PM
This. The single most frustrating moment of the game. I almost pulled all of my hair out.

I can forgive everything else that went wrong in the game, from Champ getting burnt, the dline not getting enough pressure, to the offense struggling - but any college safety in the country coulda made that play. It will be a while before I can hear his name again without wanting to break something.

jCut
01-14-2013, 09:34 AM
I can forgive everything else that went wrong in the game, from Champ getting burnt, the dline not getting enough pressure, to the offense struggling - but any college safety in the country coulda made that play. It will be a while before I can hear his name again without wanting to break something.

:facepalm:

Rahim Moore is our Bill Buckner.

broncosfan
01-14-2013, 09:52 AM

Me too, the most desperate toss up in the history of the playoffs, Raheem perfectly placed to make a play, finish the game and go on.... and he misses the football.

The worst part of it is that we have to hear about Ray Lewis and his story for one more week.

Timbathia
01-14-2013, 02:38 PM

Rahim Moore is our Bill Buckner.

I feel sorry for Buckner. He was a really good player that made a bad play, and will never be remembered for anything else. He never called himself the Dream and then screwed up before actually becoming any good.

Diehard
01-14-2013, 05:23 PM
I couldn't even bring myself to talk about the game until now.

A few points:

* The refs were terrible. I lost it early (see gameday thread) and had a hard time getting past it.

* Hearing Dan Dierdorf slobbering all over the Raven's collective dicks didn't improve my viewing experience either. I am very tired of the rah rah **** for Ray Lewis - nice to know that involvement in a murder can be conveniently swept under the carpet when it suits the powers-that-be.

* Having to go with our 3rd string RB for most of the game was a killer. WTF is going on with running backs in Denver? Seems for years we are the walking wounded at that position.

* Rahim Moore needs to be let go. One of the most foolish, selfish plays I've ever seen. Many would consider that a knee-jerk move, but his # will always be attached to that stupidity. Given that Mike Adam also got picked on during the game, I think it is safe to say we'll be looking for a centerfielder in the draft.

* Along the same lines, the game was too big for some of our players, especially in the secondary. They weren't able to control their play.

* Champ looked old when they took him downfield. Maybe it was the weather, I dunno, but the evaluation of whether he should move to safety should definitely on the books this offseason.

* I have the terrible feeling that this was our window to do something and the team just flushed it down the ******* toilet. Many young teams have gone through this process - gaudy regular season that ends prematurely in the postseason because they aren't ready. The problem is, the guy behind center isn't young and I'm totally unsold that we will get another season like that out of him.

Anyway, I'm done with football for the year. Maybe draft time will help spark my interest again.

Jimmy
01-21-2013, 07:43 PM
aaaaaaand Zane Beadles made the pro bowl as an alternate.

http://gifs.gifbin.com/1238512492_the-happening-wahlberg.gif

Diehard
01-21-2013, 10:34 PM
aaaaaaand Zane Beadles made the pro bowl as an alternate.

As a pulling guard, he's great. That power-O run that's the complement to the inside zone is our best play on the ground and Beadles is a big part of that. As a straight-up blocker, meh.

Chris
02-15-2013, 10:19 AM
Sup guys? You ready to draft the next Jarvis Moss?

Diehard
02-21-2013, 06:21 PM
Sup guys? You ready to draft the next Jarvis Moss?

My interest in the draft is currently hovering just above zero. I'd like to see them trade all their draft picks for more/better picks next year when I might actually give two shits about who we draft.

CT Bronco Fan
03-03-2013, 12:36 AM
i just want a DB. that's it.

Revis? (ten)

Jimmy
03-11-2013, 08:53 AM
Broncos are the rumored favorites to land Reggie Bush, according to Omar Kelly of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

Source: https://twitter.com/OmarKelly/status/311104996190085120

Punisher
03-11-2013, 01:28 PM
Broncos are the rumored favorites to land Reggie Bush, according to Omar Kelly of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

Source: https://twitter.com/OmarKelly/status/311104996190085120

No, he already destroyed my collegiate team don't let him do it to my NFL team...

Jokes aside, if he is at the right price he may be pretty good receiving option for Manning.

CT Bronco Fan
03-12-2013, 04:57 PM
Denver Post Sports ‏@DenverSportNews
Ex-#Chargers guard Louis Vasquez and the #Broncos reach agreement on four-year deal http://dpo.st/WllC9g by @MikeKlis

jCut
03-12-2013, 06:59 PM
We still need some depth along the o-line, but Vasquez brings some much needed stability to the RG position.

dunagan15
03-14-2013, 07:46 PM
Whats the word in Dumervil for you guys?

jCut
03-14-2013, 11:32 PM
Whats the word in Dumervil for you guys?

12 million is fully guaranteed this Saturday, so expect a decision sometime tomorrow. Either take a pay-cut or get cut. The market has been set for DEs (around 7 million annually), so I expect him to accept reality and stay here under a new deal. If he refuses, he will be cut, and the added cap room will be spent on his replacement(s) (Osi, Freeney, Abraham). It's a win-win situation for the Broncos, in my opinion.

jCut
03-14-2013, 11:34 PM
i'm pretty ok with our moves so far, other than the welker signing. hopefully del rio et al can get through to DRC. so much talent there if he can figure it out.

What exactly do you not like about the Welker signing?

dunagan15
03-15-2013, 06:10 AM
he adds nothing to this offense. he's a quicker stokley who drops passes in key moments. waste of $6m a year.

While I've always been a Welker fan I have to agree with you on this. $6 mil for a slot guy seems a little far fetched and IMO his best days behind him regardless if Peyton is there or not.

I mean for instance I'd love to have Tavon Austin way more than Welker for several reasons. Speed, Athleticism, Age, money. I do value Austin very high but regardless I feel you can find a good slot guy as they dont have to be these excellent route runners, simply just need to be quick and have good open field awareness and quickness.

I think your offense will obviously be good but these will take alot of touches away from Demarius and Decker as well.

My biggest concern for you guys here would be the deal you gave him. I still like Welker though.

dunagan15
03-15-2013, 06:12 AM
12 million is fully guaranteed this Saturday, so expect a decision sometime tomorrow. Either take a pay-cut or get cut. The market has been set for DEs (around 7 million annually), so I expect him to accept reality and stay here under a new deal. If he refuses, he will be cut, and the added cap room will be spent on his replacement(s) (Osi, Freeney, Abraham). It's a win-win situation for the Broncos, in my opinion.

From the games I watched of you guys, I'm pretty sure you were in the 3-4 the majority of the time. What role did Dumervil play? And what can one expect of him going forward? Do you see him being superior to the guys you could replace him with? (Don't take money into consideration)

jCut
03-15-2013, 09:50 AM
he adds nothing to this offense. he's a quicker stokley who drops passes in key moments. waste of $6m a year.

You would have rather allocated those funds to a RB or S, I'm guessing? If so, it's a fair point, and I would agree to an extent. I just feel he adds another weapon to an already dangerous offense. And $6m is a substantial pay-cut from the $9.5m he made last year.

jCut
03-15-2013, 10:22 AM
From the games I watched of you guys, I'm pretty sure you were in the 3-4 the majority of the time. What role did Dumervil play? And what can one expect of him going forward? Do you see him being superior to the guys you could replace him with? (Don't take money into consideration)

We actually run a 4-2-5 most of the time, but our base defense is a 4-3. We may use a few 3-4 looks here and there. Dumervil, in my opinion, has evolved into a bit of a one-trick pony. He gets to the quarterback, but he really only has one pass rush move and gets washed out of the run game far too often. I would prefer Osi / Abraham / Freeney, to be honest.

Diehard
03-15-2013, 02:04 PM
I liked the Welker move. We were really only 3 deep at WR last year - Manning had zero confidence in Willis/Caldwell and it really showed when they were in the game. If we can bring Stokely back at low cost, I think we'll be in great shape. The price tag was also pretty reasonable.

Other other moves (DRC, Knighton, Vasquez) were all solid. I really like what I'm seeing from the FO. The draft looks like RB-LB-S, which are all relatively low-value positions so we have a chance of getting a decent player or two despite picking late.

jCut
03-15-2013, 04:59 PM
Well. The Dumervil situation was botched. But who was the culprit? His agent, our front office or Dumervil himself?

Diehard
03-16-2013, 01:02 AM
mand we can add DE to that list. i still think we need a ton of DT depth, as well.

Between Ayers, Malik Jackson and Jeremy Beal I think the Broncos will find a starting DE w/o having to go fishing. If someone drops into their lap, great, otherwise I'm not too concerned.

I'd agree on the DT depth, tho. More big bodies who can get some push inside would be very useful.

Diehard
03-16-2013, 01:02 AM
Well. The Dumervil situation was botched. But who was the culprit? His agent, our front office or Dumervil himself?

Shenanigans on Doom & his agent. FO has little to gain by playing around on this one.

Jimmy
03-22-2013, 02:06 PM
http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/9085228/dj-williams-signs-chicago-bears-source

I think we all have some respect for DJ because of how many times he changed positions in his tenure here, but this situation is the epitome of addition by subtraction.

CT Bronco Fan
03-24-2013, 04:38 PM
Dumervil's Agent screwing us out of cap space, and now we lost Dumervil to the Ravens.

I really think the NFL should look into compensating the Broncos with that cap hit coming off the books, ridiculous that an agent was able to swindle this.

jth1331
03-24-2013, 05:14 PM
meh, whatever. i liked doom, he was easily one of my favorite draft picks we've made recently. but he's not worth $8m a year, and he definitely wasn't worth $12m a year. wish him luck in baltimore, but i think we actually have a decent DE rotation right now with wolfe and ayers for first and second down. if the draft falls like scott has it, damontre would be a fantastic pick as a third down pass rusher. i don't think we'd lose anything.

BOOM, I agree with this. We have a decent rotation of guys, and adding a vet like Freeney or Abraham could help as well as drafting someone. Broncos SHOULD be able to get Dumervil's production for a fraction of the cost, which is a win for them.

Diehard
03-25-2013, 02:03 PM
Doom never played the run well unless he was in pursuit. Ayers is much stronger in that area. Go back to the Panthers game last year when Doom was out and watch Ayers' film... I think that is partly why the team was willing to be tougher on the $$$ side of things with Doom.

Anyway, that's two bad contracts (Doom, DJ) off the books. This FO has certainly made some strides in cap management over the disasters of the previous regimes.

ZoneMaster67
03-31-2013, 03:07 PM
I feel Denver is really in a position to draft BPA and not need, there is a good group of RB's so they don't need to go after one they can just wait and see who's there. If someone like Moore from TA&M were to drop to them I think they'll take him just to push those other DE's that are on the roster.

Chris
04-02-2013, 01:41 PM

If you really believe this, you obviously don't understand the schematics of football.

Diehard
04-03-2013, 02:54 PM
or i've watched every patriots game for the last three years. but whatever works. i sincerely hope i'm wrong and that the offense is super-powered next year. *shrug*

It will be interesting to see how Welker's play integrates with our offense. The Pats TEs create some really tough matchups that no doubt have helped Welker. At the same time, the Pats don't have guys like DT or Decker taking the top off the defense downfield.

K Train
04-03-2013, 06:05 PM
Doing a 2 round mock...have the broncos taking arthur brown and carradine...any thoughts? They are a ***** to pick for

7DnBrnc53
04-08-2013, 04:29 PM
Doing a 2 round mock...have the broncos taking arthur brown and carradine...any thoughts? They are a ***** to pick for

You have Carradine in Round 1, right?

And, can Arthur Brown play MLB in a 4-3?

Chris
04-12-2013, 02:56 PM
or i've watched every patriots game for the last three years. but whatever works. i sincerely hope i'm wrong and that the offense is super-powered next year. *shrug*

Welker was a dimension we didn't have on the team. Stokley was good at what he did, but having three Pro-Bowl caliber wide outs to send out, especially guys who understand route concepts and can do the full tree is going to pay dividends for the offense. Having Tamme/Dreesen as a #4 option makes mismatches all over the field. How many teams have secondaries that can account for the players we have on offense?

I hope the Broncos get another receiver in the draft too. Adding a guy like Markus Wheaton would make us a mortal lock for the Lombardi. Get a power runner as well and this offense is absolutely set. Weapons for now, weapons for the future.

Our defense needs upgrades on all three levels as well. I hope we can get more of an impact from this years coming class than we did with ours last year.

UTPATS
04-16-2013, 02:36 PM
I have the Broncos in the current Forum Mock.. Picks below:
(Note: Signed Dwight Freeney to start opposite Wolfe in Mock FA)
1.28) Menelik Watson, OT, FSU (Unsure what will happen with Clady in future)
2.58) David Amerson, CB, NCST (Like him opposite DRC in 2014)
4.106) Montori Hughes, DT, Tenn-Martin (Project but lots of ability)
4.110) Aaron Dobson, WR, Marshall (Provides option with Thomas/Decker FA in future)
5.141) Stepfan Taylor, RB, Stanford (Solid, smart player Manning could use year one)

Need some direction on next two picks... Thoughts???

Diehard
04-17-2013, 05:16 PM
i don't get the menelik pick at all and i can't imagine clady doesn't finish his career here. trade him (menelik) for some 6th and 7th round picks or a groundskeeper or something, and you'll be adding better value to the team.

from where you are, DE is a necessity. MLB is a MASSIVE priority, as is a CB who can actually play CB in the NFL.

edit: i'm going to take that back. from the 6th on, it's utterly irrelevant. just take the BPA regardless of position.

Yeah, we really needed to get a better slate of guys in rounds 1-5 than that. Better picks in round 6+ is just lipstick on a pig.

I cannot see us getting past the third without adding a back. It's not that I don't like Taylor, it's just they aren't going to wait that long when a power back is THE missing piece in the offensive puzzle. I think they'll also take a long look at the guys who can play C as we don't have any proven long-term solution at that position.

On defense, gotta do something about MLB. Mind you, the whole approach of looking for team leader type LB's who come from smaller programs later in the draft hasn't actually worked out too badly. Like C, S is a position where we have a whole lot of questions and maybes... probably needs to get some attention in the draft as well.

I think DL will be about an impact guy... if that opportunity arises, they'll grab it. If not, I'd guess they'll take some big DT's later in the draft to provide depth.

Diehard
04-17-2013, 06:24 PM
i just don't see an S, unless they think he's an instant starter. there's so much stuff backed up there that just adding more bodies doesn't seem like a winning strategy.

Guys they've met with / worked out:

Freddy Young, New Mexico
John Boyett, Oregon
Keelan Johnson, Arizona State
Philip Thomas, Frenso State
Shawn Williams, Georgia
T.J. McDonald, USC

That's a fair amount interest... but then again, it could very well be kicking the tires just to be sure they don't miss out on a potential starter. They've looked at quite a few OTs as well, when we are pretty solid at that spot, so due diligence may be the name of the game.

Jimmy
04-21-2013, 10:32 AM
ok, i'm bored.

which running back do y'all want?

I am a big Christine Michael/Spencer Ware fan.

Ware is an absolute ANIMAL. HE would be such a good goal line back from day one and I really think he could be dangerous a few years down the line.

Jimmy
04-22-2013, 01:30 AM
hadn't actually looked at either... michael is really interesting. how bad are his personal issues?

ware was intriguing, but his lack of any top end speed at all rubs me the wrong way. i did like his blocking/receiving.

Michael's character problems are the reason he isn't a sure-fire early 2nd rounder. Overslept at the combine but had an interesting excuse, I suppose. I don't know and can't pretend to know the rest of his problems.

He was an absolute stud coming out of HS. Lattimore level talent. Poor headband placement.
http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Christine-Michael-63777

Jimmy
04-23-2013, 09:36 AM
Draft is obviously in two days. This thread will receive a significant spike in traffic.

Now's a great chance for me to catch up with you all, see how you are all doing. I'm mostly wondering what life occurrences have driven us all to not post as much, as a collective group.

I for one am still in college up here in Boston. It's been a crazy few weeks here. I live about 5 minutes walking from the bombing site and work 3 minutes away. Pretty much sums up how my year has gone. When I'm not busy with school, something else is drawing my attention away from the draft. This will be the first time in nearly a decade that I am not attending the draft in person for any of the two (now three) days.

Diehard
04-23-2013, 01:09 PM
Now's a great chance for me to catch up with you all, see how you are all doing. I'm mostly wondering what life occurrences have driven us all to not post as much, as a collective group.

Pain from how last year ended was a significant factor in my reduced interest in the draft. Work and personal life are both a little crazy, but both are my own doing so can't complain too much.

On the draft side of things, Elway's presser re: draft can be found here:

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Broncos-Draft-Strategy-Best-Player-Available/d6e93fa4-77e6-4b99-85f7-2744fe1d3cc9

Denver Post article on the presser:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23080962/john-elway-broncos-28-nfl-draft-2013

What I took away:

1. BPA is the way
2. Mixed messages on DL - say they like what they have, but DE at #28 was specifically mentioned
3. They only have 20+ guys with first round grades
4. Definitely looking for RB help in the draft
5. Deep draft for secondary - like what they see there
6. Still taking a look at QBs... seeing if someone is there late who they can develop
7. Want to get a few instant starters out of the draft (RB? MLB? DE? S?)
8. Lots about smoke about Irving or Johnson as starter at MLB... hard to buy that tho considering the lack of onfield production

Rcee
04-24-2013, 11:35 AM
I agree, de seems most likely. I'm a fan of carradine, personally, but i wouldn't be upset with either werner or possibly moore either. If we go bpa, I could also see us grabbing a corner too and have really taken a liking to dj hayden.

As far as rb is concerned, I wouldn't really want anyone that is likely to go in the first two days. If pressed, I'd probably go with bell though

Jimmy
04-25-2013, 10:29 AM
Put your picks in, boys. Who are we gonna select?
My money is on Xavier Rhodes.

jCut
04-25-2013, 06:23 PM
Bjoern Werner

Diehard
04-25-2013, 11:12 PM
Things worked out pretty favorably... I imagine the team was pretty happy to see a big bull for the interior DL slide down to them.

ZoneMaster67
04-25-2013, 11:44 PM
I think they should have gone with a DE or CB, but I do like Williams and he will finally be the inside passrush needed. There are still plenty of DE's left and Elway said they're happy with their end situation already so they may wait until later. RB or CB will most likely be the second round pick, all the RB's are still in play so they may be able to wait until the third for that.

Namy
04-25-2013, 11:46 PM
Sylvester Williams is a great pick at our position. Feels like we've longing for a DT in the 1st round for a decade, and we finally nabbed one.

Better late than never.

elway=goat
04-26-2013, 04:40 AM
Loved this pick.. I had been hoping for the last 5 years, and this guy is going to be ridiculous stuffing the line. I was hoping he would fall, but DT's of his caliber or less have gone much higher. When I saw he droppped extatic.

Question on him, in college he was able to penetrate and put pressure on the qb at times. Now I have been reading that scouts don't who if he will be able to put pressure on the QB, he would be more of a run stuffer. But I have seen some say be is a nice pashrusher.

What do you guys think? What type of player will he be?

Now that that severe need is out of the way, where do we go from here? They just going to take best player available? Or draft by need? I think our next to picks will be defense. Unless one of the RB's fall to us. We do have holes in the secondary and at the ends. Could use possibly, another ILB.

Elway, Fox and the rest of management have been absolutely fantastic with their drafts so far.

Jimmy
04-26-2013, 09:30 AM
What do you guys think? What type of player will [Sly] be?

My initial reaction to the pick was "meh." Of course, I had never even heard of Sylvester Williams due to my atrocious lack of research this year. Once I watched a few of Ward's highlight films, it became evident that the pick was justified. I think that if he pans out the way we intend, he will things a million times easier for Von.

Punisher
04-26-2013, 12:13 PM
Damontre Moore DE would be ideal for our 2nd round pick IMO.

Also, Johnathon Franklin in the 3rd would make me all kinds of happy.

Rcee
04-26-2013, 12:34 PM
I think my favorite pick in the second would be lemonier. Not sure I want a rb today, but would be surprised if we didn't grab one.

Really like sly too, outside of carradine, was my favorite player left on the board.

the decider13
04-26-2013, 07:02 PM
Lemonier/Moore/Taylor/Poyer/Swearinger

Lots of good guys to grab here at 58. Jonathan Franklin wouldn't upset me, but I think they can wait until tomorrow to grab a running back.

Damn, I wish the Dolphins hadn't taken Jamar Taylor.

Edit: Montee Ball. Interesting. Not a bad pick.

elway=goat
04-26-2013, 07:37 PM
Thoughts on Montee Ball? I think he is a 1st round value, didn't he have concussions or something? I know he was the one who was out into the hospital, after being jumped..

Concussions concern me. My dad says they said on ESPN he had like 8k yards rushing in highschool? Seems like durability issue possibly? Dunno..

Would rather have went defense, but if I like the way he runs. Should give us an option to clear the clutter off our rb position.

Punisher
04-26-2013, 09:07 PM
Who the hell is Webster?

Diehard
04-27-2013, 12:32 AM
Ball's durability is not in question - he's been a workhorse for the Badgers. He's also extremely sure-handed, which is nice after some of the fumble-itis we've endured at the RB position. The guy has great vision, knows how to use his blockers and makes good cuts - that's a good fit for all the stretch and zone plays we run. He's a guy I wanted to see in a Broncos uniform, so I'm pretty happy with this pick.

As for Webster, I gotta admit I know very little about him. Looking back, his stock seemed to be all over the place prior to the draft. Obviously they like his speed... hopefully his measurables translate onto the field.

From a position perspective, hitting DT - RB - CB in the first three rounds seems about right. What's next? WR and LB seem very likely. Do they grab Barrett Jones if he keeps sliding (we're not exactly solid at C)? A late round flyer on a QB wouldn't come as a surprise either.

Rcee
04-27-2013, 01:17 AM
Not a fan of ball but it's not a surprising pick. I like webster but don't know if the value was three. He's a physical duder and solid tackler.

I still think the pass rush needs to be addressed. Gut wrenching to see lemonier go to the 9ers 2 picks before us st 90. I'm crossing my fingers for one of brandon jenkins, devin taylor, quenterrus smith or trevardo williams.

jCut
04-27-2013, 12:15 PM
Is Webster really any better than Omar Bolden? I fail to see how that selection improved the team at all. And I like Ball, but I'd rather have Franklin or Lacy. Kind of disappointing.

Jimmy
04-27-2013, 12:40 PM
after spending an evening thinking about it, i outright hate our second day, and think it would've been really difficult to do much worse. ball is garbage. he won't beat out moreno. webster could've been had 5 rounds later. just awful drafting.

I'm just curious as to why you hate Montee Ball. I don't even think it's possible to analyze the kid because every hole he ran through was 8 feet wide.

Rcee
04-27-2013, 05:29 PM
I love quenterus smith, really like sylvester, but everything else feels pretty "meh"

jCut
04-27-2013, 08:21 PM
he gives me the exact same feeling i got from moreno when he came out.

Bingo. At least we didn't use a 1st rounder on Ball.

Diehard
04-28-2013, 11:39 AM
Bingo. At least we didn't use a 1st rounder on Ball.

I heard on Sirus that the Packers were hoping to take Ball at #61, but we grabbed him first.

There is a ton of game tape to evaluate Ball. Even with the Badgers' excellent run blocking, teams should have a very solid assessment of what this guy is capable of. Of all the Broncos' picks, this should be the lowest risk one. I will be very surprised if he doesn't produce for us.

jCut
04-28-2013, 12:22 PM
Decent 3rd day, however. I'm intrigued by Quanterus Smith's upside. The Shaun Phillips signing is another smart move at DE. Less expensive than Freeney and more productive. A few missteps here and there, but overall, there is no doubt in my mind that we are a better team in 2013.

villagewarrior
04-29-2013, 07:09 AM
I think Tavarres King is probably the Donks best pick. I've always thought people underrated him. Not a fan of Williams. North Carolina DLs always seem to be super athletic, but never show up on film and don't show up in the league (Peppers excepted). Quanterus Smith has an awesome name and I fear I may be hearing too much of it in future Chiefs matchups. Dysert was a guy I wanted the Chiefs to pick, so I'm disappointed that he follows Peyton and Osweiler to Denver.

D.

Chris
04-29-2013, 12:33 PM
Williams was a great selection. Ball could be lethal in this offense. We wrecked Day 3 of the draft (in a good way) and King is a terrific route runner and is the speed/vertical dimension that this offense is missing. Mentally he gets it, and is a great insurance selection in case someone goes down and hopefully means Caldwell or Willis (who are making over a million) are off the team. I don't know how fully recovered Smith is, but it is fine for him to rehab redshirt and get stronger in the weight room. Getting Shaun Phillips in that regard makes it a smart move.

It was obvious the Broncos were going to get a QB and I had mentioned on MHR and various other places (since I write there) that he was likely the guy. A great value selection for us and means that we can have a legit guy to groom down the road. It could very well be possible that he supplants Osweiler as the QBOTF. Just my feelings.

On Kayvon Webster, which was an absolute waste of a pick, I offer this. (It will also discuss how bad Elway and Co. have been with their 3 and 4th round guys getting playing time).

The Broncos made it well known that they were interested in upgrading the CB position. After they picked in round two, ~ 10 CBs went and the run happened. They got rolled. There is no logical argument that can be made that Webster was their BPA on their board at the time. It simply isn't true. You can tell by the way Fox and Elway answered their question(s) regarding him at the presser that it was indeed a reach and they felt the need to get one.

They missed out on Rhodes, who was their top priority at #28 and panicked when the corners kept going on the board. They should have realized this and made a move up to get the prospect they really wanted (I have heard numerous reports on McFadden and Wreh-Wilson because of their man skills) instead of taking Webster. I am surprised they didn't take B.W. Webb over him and would have actually LIKED that selection at that point in time.

I am not generalizing, but the kid sounds dumb as bricks and sounded generally surprised that he even went that high. He also played zone coverage and has very little, if any ball skills. He has all-world athleticism and good size, but he plays flat footed and has cement feet on the field. I said this numerous times when people talked about his combine. There is no doubt this guy is only going to register on special teams this year because the learning curve he has mentally to adjust to the pro game and a new scheme (being used differently than he ever has) is going to take several years. I think his traits will work better in man coverage, but why the heck would the Broncos take a guy that early knowing full well that he is MORE THAN A PROJECT. Simple: They panicked.

Those are the reasons why the pick sucks, especially when there were dozens of quality players who could have seen the field this way in more ways than special teams on this squad. Anyone who is arguing otherwise hasn't ever seen Webster play or is blindly trusting the front office. Bottom line, a ran happen, the Broncos sat idle and they made a significant reach (at least a round) for a guy who isn't going to see much time on the field. It is really unacceptable. Everyone who is against this picks HOPES to be proven wrong, but I am willing to bet it doesn't happen.

This is what is frustrating about the Broncos. Outside of Von Miller, Rahim Moore (who needs to step it up), Orlando Franklin and Derek Wolfe, none of their picks taken (11 -- seven being in rounds two and three) under Elway's tenure have made a significant impact on the field. Three of those guys have been fantastic players early in their careers, and I am hopeful Moore can make it four. Then again, when you are picking those guys in the Top 50 -- you should be diligent enough in your scouting to not mess up. So there aren't going to be many "atta boys" for getting the job done when it is self-evident that it needs to.

Obviously Hillman, Osweiler and a few others are at least in the cards, and Quinton Carter gets the benefit of the doubt because of microfracture surgery, but when you have 11 picks in the top 110 overall in two years, you expect more than a handful of them to start games. To use the excuse that this roster doesn't have the "room" for rookies to see playing time is hogwash.

This year Williams and Ball as top two picks will have the ability to make impacts immediately. I also feel that King (who I loved), Smith and the rest of our Day 3 selections offer something to the team down the road. It is just very, very difficult as a fan to see the team mortgaging value the past two years in rounds three and four when they were absolutely loaded. It will take a few years to see how things pan out, but there are a lot of other teams who have performed well with their selections in those rounds and are having contributions early.

Denver needs more than a one or two guys from their rookie classes to start games. It's nice to see some guys in the later rounds making special teams and sub-package contributions, but it hurts to see middle round guys not performing. Here is hoping they do.

Diehard
04-29-2013, 12:42 PM
The thing I like about the King and Smith picks is that you can see how they might be able to contribute immediately as role players (deep threat, situational pass rusher) while they develop the other parts of their game. That's pretty good for guys picked in the 5th round.

Dysert was solid value in the 7th and comes into a pretty good situation where there's limited pressure on him and lots of opportunity to learn from one of the greats.

Chris
04-29-2013, 01:01 PM
The thing I like about the King and Smith picks is that you can see how they might be able to contribute immediately as role players (deep threat, situational pass rusher) while they develop the other parts of their game. That's pretty good for guys picked in the 5th round.

Dysert was solid value in the 7th and comes into a pretty good situation where there's limited pressure on him and lots of opportunity to learn from one of the greats.

Absolutely. I honestly think that Denver might keep looking at QBs late every year until Peyton hangs it up. Obviously Osweiler and Dysert will be our guys now, but it didn't stop us from getting the kid from SD State (Katz?) to get some reps too.

Diehard
04-29-2013, 03:38 PM
Absolutely. I honestly think that Denver might keep looking at QBs late every year until Peyton hangs it up. Obviously Osweiler and Dysert will be our guys now, but it didn't stop us from getting the kid from SD State (Katz?) to get some reps too.

I agree, they will keep looking. In some ways, it's a no-brainer. Burning a late pick and/or a UDFA spot on a QB is a cheap gamble that could pay off big. The downside comes when you have a situation where your starting guy feels threatened by those moves... but that's not an issue with Manning.

Punisher
04-30-2013, 10:34 PM
Speaking of UDFA's on of my favorite rookie pickups regardless of drafted or not is Quincy McDuffie Slot WR and Returner out of UCF

Quincy McDuffie, WR, UCF
McDuffie was a return specialist at UCF, finishing his career as the school’s all-time in kickoff returns (90), kickoff return yards (2,501) and kickoff return touchdowns (six). He was a Sports Illustrated first-team All-American as a kick returner.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_6ZKOrefe8

Diehard
05-01-2013, 11:42 AM
i still don't get a good feeling from the ball pick, but it's done, and i'll reserve judgement until he plays. i really liked the dysert pick, and only partially because i think osweiler is garbage.

Elway & Co seem like they'd have no problem promoting a late-rounder/UDFA over Osweiler based on performance. If so, then the Dysert pick is very solid. The guy is effective under pressure (his OL ******* sucked at Miami), can move around in the pocket and make plays downfield. He's a gunslinger, though, and the coaches will need to work on his reads/decision-making.

Jimmy
05-08-2013, 03:51 PM
I'll be in Colorado for the first time in over ten years a week from today. A few buds and I will be spending the night in the Breckenridge area, recharging our batteries, and heading out on a 14 day road trip.

Just wondering if you guys know of a good place to grab a bite and a beer in that area. We're willing to explore a bit and head out of that area.

Jimmy
05-08-2013, 09:00 PM
probably a couple of others i can think of, if you'll actually be in breck itself.

Gonna be in Breck itself overnight so we may have to check out the brewery... if that's the place to go for solid beer selection. Curious to hear of other places you might recommend.

Jimmy
05-09-2013, 01:38 PM
they have pretty good beer and a decent scene, though it's shoulder season, so things are going to be pretty dead all around. quandary's at the base of peak 9, not sure if it's open, but it's a more standard bar. eric's is more divey and local.

generally breck brewery has it's own stuff, which is pretty solid. any other bar will have the standard smattering of CO microbrews, but no one up there is likely to have much special until summer season starts up.

where are you headed on the road trip?

http://goo.gl/maps/JWunx

Highlights include Vegas, Santa Monica, Vancouver, the Grand Canyon & Sasquatch Music festival. It's gonna be a good time...

Jimmy
05-12-2013, 01:47 PM
what the heck is in quincy, wa?

This bad-boy.

http://www.sasquatchfestival.com/

Punisher
05-12-2013, 02:04 PM
This bad-boy.

http://www.sasquatchfestival.com/

That line up =O

I wish I could've got a lineup like that when I went to Coachella this year.

Diehard
06-17-2013, 11:44 AM
when did we sign quentin jammer? i can't possibly imagine he makes the roster...

Any chance of him making the roster requires a successful transition to safety. He's pretty much done as a corner. Apparently he's running with the 1st team defense in OTAs:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23465547/bruton-among-biggest-surprises-o-8800-season

Now, given that the incumbents were Mike Adams and Rahim Moore, that might not be saying much. I do find it a little troubling that the central core of the defense (DT-ILB-SS) continues to have multiple question marks.

b_rent87
07-28-2013, 02:20 AM
Excited to see what Q Smith does for us he is reportedly looking good so far, will help cushion the blow of losing Von for four games.

Diehard
08-09-2013, 12:39 PM
i really like cj anderson. i really don't like our o-line depth.

CJ getting the tough yards. Something we've been lacking. Though I give all the backs a bit of a pass on this one, because the run blocking was terrible. However, I think Lance Ball may be in trouble because CJ has been explosive in practice as well.

Young guys on defense were making some plays. Duke Ihenacho appears to be competing for a starting spot. Irving with the FF playing the strongside. Malik Jackson looks like he'll be able to contribute at both DE and DT. Kayvon Webster with the pick. Depth on defense, other than safety, looks to be good.

Julius Thomas flashed some real potential. He's not much in the run game, but if he pans out as a receiver we will have a ridiculous set of weapons for Manning.

Shaun Phillips is an ancient douchebag, but he came to play. We've got the young legs at DL to spell him regularly - I'd say put him in Doom's old spot and see how it plays out. The other ex-Bolt, Jammer, looks like he's done.

Diehard
08-09-2013, 02:30 PM
i wasn't real impressed with anyone in the secondary, but whatever. it was the first game. they'll have time to gel a bit. i'm still just really disenchanted with our safeties.

Duke contending for a starting spot is telling about the quality at safety. Not to discount his play, but the bar is unfortunately pretty low. Our problems on the OL come from injuries (both C's, Kuper, Clady, etc)... but the FO has to wear a fair amount of the blame for the unsettled situation at S.

jCut
08-18-2013, 09:36 AM
What's with all the Osweiler hype from the FO and the media? I wasn't impressed after the first preseason game, and he was just awful yesterday.

jCut
08-18-2013, 04:56 PM
did dysert play at all? klis makes it sound like we'll actually carry 3 qbs.

Dysert wasn't listed on the box score, and I never saw him at any point. I'm skeptical.

Diehard
08-28-2013, 10:44 PM
Dysert wasn't listed on the box score, and I never saw him at any point. I'm skeptical.

Looks more like they're happy with what they've seen and would like to stash him on the PS w/o drawing any further attention to him. If they were serious about having him active as the #3, why not get him a few more reps?

Diehard
08-29-2013, 10:17 PM
... which they did tonight and Dysert has made the most of the opportunity. Sure looks like we'll be carrying 3 QBs now.

CT Bronco Fan
08-31-2013, 05:35 PM
Our final 53 was announced today, here's how the roster looks.

Rookie
New Player
Starter

QB ( 3 ) - Peyton Manning, Brock Osweiler, Zac Dysert
RB ( 5 ) - Ronnie Hillman, Montee Ball, Knowshon Moreno, C.J. Anderson, Jacob Hester
WR ( 5 ) - Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker, Wes Welker, Andre Caldwell, Trindon Holliday
TE ( 4 ) - Julius Thomas, Joe Dreessen, Jacob Tamme, Virgil Green
OL ( 9 ) - Ryan Clady, Zane Beadles, Manny Ramirez, Louis Vasquez, Orlando Franklin, Chris Kuper, Chris Clark, Steve Vallos, John Moffitt

DL - ( 7 ) - Derek Wolfe, Kevin Vickerson, Terrance Knighton, Robert Ayers, Slyvester Williams, Malik Jackson, Mitch Unrein
LB - ( 6 ) - Wesley Woodyard, Nate Irving, Danny Trevathan, Shaun Phillips, Paris Lenon, Steven Johnson
CB - ( 6 ) - Champ Bailey, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Chris Harris, Tony Carter, Quentin Jammer, Kayvon Webster
S - ( 5 ) - Rahim Moore, Duke Ihenacho, Mike Adams, David Bruton, Omar Bolden

ST ( 3 ) - Matt Prater Britton Colquitt, Aaron Brewer

Reserved
Suspended - LB Von Miller ( 6 games )
PUP - C J.D. Walton ( may return after 6 games )
Injury - WR Greg Orton
Injury - G Justin Boren
Injury - C Dan Koppen
Injury - DE Quanterus Smith
Injury - LB Stewart Bradley
Injury - LB Lerentee McCray
Injury - S Quinton Carter

Notable cuts

RB Lance Ball
RB Jeremiah Johnson
G Ryan Lilja
DE Jeremy Beal
C Philip Blake
DT Ben Garland
WR Tavarres King

CT Bronco Fan
09-03-2013, 12:39 AM
Couple transitions

Released RB Jacob Hester
Signed LB Adrian Robinson to Active Roster

Practice Squad
HB Edwin Barker
WR Tavarres King
WR Gerell Robinson
G Ben Garland
T Vinston Painter
T Paul Cornick
DE John Youboty
LB Brandon Marshall

HEISMANHERSCHEL
09-06-2013, 12:27 AM
Wow. You guys looked awesome in the first game of the season. Welker looked like Manning's best friend.

Diehard
09-06-2013, 12:44 AM
Well now, that was pretty interesting. A few comments:

* The team still makes too many bonehead mistakes. Trevathan's TD-that-wasn't, Welker on the PR, Decker pretty much all night long.

* Even with Decker ******** the bed, the passing game is lethal. So many weapons, so many ways for Manning to attack the defense.

* The DL played tough against the run. That's a pretty big deal when you know a lot of teams are going to want to grind the clock to keep our offense out of play.

elway=goat
09-06-2013, 12:46 AM
why was welker returning a punt? was holliday hurt?

Not sure, but I don't like it.. its dumb.

elway=goat
09-06-2013, 12:50 AM
Well now, that was pretty interesting. A few comments:

* The team still makes too many bonehead mistakes. Trevathan's TD-that-wasn't, Welker on the PR, Decker pretty much all night long.

* Even with Decker ******** the bed, the passing game is lethal. So many weapons, so many ways for Manning to attack the defense.

* The DL played tough against the run. That's a pretty big deal when you know a lot of teams are going to want to grind the clock to keep our offense out of play.

Our lack of a running game is still concerning as well.

Diehard
09-06-2013, 12:51 AM
Not sure, but I don't like it.. its dumb.

I don't think they trust Holliday on punts where you are going to end up fielding the ball close to your own goal line.

Diehard
09-06-2013, 09:33 AM
Our lack of a running game is still concerning as well.

Where it looked worst was when we went with the "Foxball" approach to eat up time on the clock. That just isn't the identity of this offense. Let Gase & Manning do their thing and move the ball downfield... that's probably the most effective way for us to finish off opponents.

Diehard
09-06-2013, 01:33 PM
how'd irving do? trevathan, minus the idiotic play? did williams play at all? was ngata at NT, and if so, did whoever we gave the start to at C play ok?

Irving played pretty well. Had at least one nice stop behind the LOS. Ditto for Trevathan. LB coverage overall was pretty solid. They definitely benefited from the play of the DL, especially Knighton and Vickerson who shut down the Ravens' inside OL. The DL rotated a lot... I saw Williams out there but I can't remember anything particularly notable (either good or bad).

Ramirez played C and did pretty well all things considered... and yes, by "all things" I mean Ngata. Manny did get pushed around a bit in obvious running situations. Vasquez also matched up with Ngata at times and our new OG is quite a force - keep your eye out for the replay where he manhandles Ngata in pass protect.

how'd DRC look?

Really good. He pretty much locked down his guy, which was more-often-than-not Torrey Smith, all game. Collinsworth was raving about his play... for what that's worth, since Collinsworth is a bit of a douchebag and couldn't even manage to do basic math during the broadcast.

elway=goat
09-07-2013, 12:42 AM
Irving played pretty well. Had at least one nice stop behind the LOS. Ditto for Trevathan. LB coverage overall was pretty solid. They definitely benefited from the play of the DL, especially Knighton and Vickerson who shut down the Ravens' inside OL. The DL rotated a lot... I saw Williams out there but I can't remember anything particularly notable (either good or bad).

Ramirez played C and did pretty well all things considered... and yes, by "all things" I mean Ngata. Manny did get pushed around a bit in obvious running situations. Vasquez also matched up with Ngata at times and our new OG is quite a force - keep your eye out for the replay where he manhandles Ngata in pass protect.

Really good. He pretty much locked down his guy, which was more-often-than-not Torrey Smith, all game. Collinsworth was raving about his play... for what that's worth, since Collinsworth is a bit of a douchebag and couldn't even manage to do basic math during the broadcast.

To add to that, I thought the secondary as a whole looked good. Especially considering Champ was not in the lineup, especially considering what that same offense torched the secondary so bad last year.

Diehard
09-16-2013, 11:08 AM
bit nervous about sunday. no idea why. interested to see if we can cover cruz, nicks and randle all game.

I think we did okay on this front. Some of those PI calls were dubious... though Carter in particular needs to do a better job of having his eyes on the ball. The quality of refereeing in general is going to bring out the conspiracy theorists in our fan base... it would be a stretch to consider that a fairly called game.

Punisher
09-18-2013, 11:54 AM
Ryan Clady ******

:(

J-Mike88
09-18-2013, 06:06 PM
i really hope it's just season ending. that's rough. sorry, peyton.
Manning is the best QB in dealing with OL breakdowns.

If Rodgers can survive & thrive missing both his 1st Rd pick OTs, Peyton will be fine.

I just selfishly hope this doesn't really hurt my fantasy steal of my draft Julius Thomas. Dammit. I wonder if I should deal him now...... somebody might have to help stay in and chip along the left side.

CT Bronco Fan
09-19-2013, 02:52 AM
Lets send our 1st round pick to Cleveland for Joe Thomas!!

Punisher
09-23-2013, 05:00 PM
Lets send our 1st round pick to Cleveland for Joe Thomas!!

and then throw in Josh Gordon in there.

Josh Gordon and Bey Bey on the outside with Decker and Welker in the slot.....WITH Julius Thomas. *bored at work fantasies*

Diehard
09-24-2013, 12:19 AM
The outcome was really never much in doubt... I'd feel sorry for the Raiders if I didn't despise them. Peyton is unreal in command of this offense.

The defense played well pretty much across the board. Props to Ayers who was giving their OT hell. The combination of size/strength on the DL and the speed of the LBs is really working for us right now.

The run game was effective. Ball ran well, but the fumble will ensure he rides the pine some more. Too bad because he looks like he can get the tough yards inside.

Next up, the Eagles in a duel of fast-paced offenses. Should be interesting.

CT Bronco Fan
09-24-2013, 04:43 PM
i wasn't a big fan of the way the raiders just moved down the field in the second half, but i suspect we were playing a lot of really loose defenses. which is idiotic for other reasons, but makes the wide open guys understandable.

big test for DRC, as i suspect he'll be on desean all game. same for the linebackers, trying to keep mccoy contained. i couldn't be less concerned about vick.

and peyton. just... yeah. that pass deep on the first drive to thomas (i think, might have been decker) that couldn't have been more perfectly placed... unreal. if elway never does another thing, convincing peyton to finish his career here was fantastic.

Peyton Manning went 32/37.

The Broncos had 5 dropped passes.

100% of his throws were on target....

Punisher
09-26-2013, 05:20 PM
Just imagine how different this team would look under Jake Plummer.

Timbathia
10-13-2013, 10:52 PM
so i don't really know how it looked on tv, but champ is done. he looked beyond lost out there.

it looked on tv like he is done.

i think we should just let him run with the TEs in passing situations, or play man cb if the opposition has a glacier-slow wr (like Boldin or someone). DRC, Harris and Webster are all better on quicker wrs than Champ. He still knows what to do, just not capable of getting to the right spots.

hopefully we are wrong and his foot is still not quite right.

CT Bronco Fan
10-15-2013, 03:29 PM
Roster moves today.

Green Bay made an offer to fifth round pick and current practice squad WR Tavarres King to join their 53 man roster.

The Broncos have cut LB Adrian Robinson to make room for King on the active roster.

The current active roster has 54 people with Von Miller coming back this week from suspension. Teams are given a 1 week roster exemption for players coming off suspensions.

CT Bronco Fan
10-20-2013, 03:20 AM
Maybe there is no longer a one week exemption, or maybe they wanted to try to sneak King back onto the PS, but Tavarres King was cut to make room for Von Miller on the 53 man roster.

Jimmy
10-20-2013, 10:58 PM
Yes. Let's give ronnie ******* HILLMAN the ball with 3 minutes left at the two yard line while we're down by 10. WHAT HE HELL.

Diehard
10-20-2013, 11:32 PM
Yes. Let's give ronnie ******* HILLMAN the ball with 3 minutes left at the two yard line while we're down by 10. WHAT HE HELL.

Yes, it wasn't exactly wisdom in action... especially when he looked to have a poor handle on the ball on an earlier run as well.

Manning's head wasn't in the game and his arm looked off as well. That miserable old **** Irsay probably deserves some credit for that. Holliday was in self-destruct mode again... but we've known for a while he was a double-edge sword. Throw in a patchwork OL and injuries of defense and there's plenty of blame to go around.

We'll see how they respond.

jth1331
10-21-2013, 12:44 AM
manning was atrocious early. we can't dig a hole that deep and expect to climb out in the 4th quarter, hillman being garbage or not.

champ needs to just be done. he's detrimental every time he's in the game.

did von play today? i must've missed him doing anything of value.

all that said, i'm not even mad about losing. i'd be terrified of this team if they'd run the regular season table.

Von made some nice plays in the run game, but was fairly silent in the pass rushing game.

Early, we just didn't execute at all on offense. Manning missed D.Thomas on three separate occasions, it was rough. The 3rd and 1 run stuffs. Ugh.
Also, the 4th and like inch early, heck I'd go for it. If you can't get an inch, then just give them a field goal anyways.
I also think Fox maybe should've looked at challenging the potential Decker incomplete/TD, maybe he would've gotten lucky on that.

The injuries on the OL are really starting to hurt now, and honestly, why even run Hillman in that situation. Moreno barely got in from the 1, and you expect Hillman to get in from the 2?

Timbathia
10-21-2013, 01:01 AM
I actually think most of this is on the oline. They were garbage all night. Any QB that is feeling pressure constantly (from the edges and up the middle) is going to miss throws, adding in not getting the third and 1s is mostly on them and the sack fumble. Losing two starting tackles is probably a bit too much to expect to easily overcome.

Clearly matters werent helped by Holliday's fumble that led to a TD and Hillman (he should be left on the sideline until next season or straight up cut).

Sure the def is not very good (Woodyard will help), but I actually think the def played well enough tonight (the off just kept putting them in the sh*t).

jth1331
10-22-2013, 10:46 PM
I actually think most of this is on the oline. They were garbage all night. Any QB that is feeling pressure constantly (from the edges and up the middle) is going to miss throws, adding in not getting the third and 1s is mostly on them and the sack fumble. Losing two starting tackles is probably a bit too much to expect to easily overcome.

Clearly matters werent helped by Holliday's fumble that led to a TD and Hillman (he should be left on the sideline until next season or straight up cut).

Sure the def is not very good (Woodyard will help), but I actually think the def played well enough tonight (the off just kept putting them in the sh*t).

The points look ugly, but they stood up well against the Colts honestly. Dealt with piss poor field position, I mean they only let 1 TD in the second half despite Indy having great field position most of the time. Plus the fumble that was definitely needed.
Oddly enough, I gotta put the blame on the offense. They didn't execute, it hurt the defense, hurt field position, and cost the game. That, and the penalties.

CT Bronco Fan
11-05-2013, 05:43 PM
JD Walton activated today to the active 53 man roster. Interesting to see what might happen with him now. Ramirez has been playing pretty solidly at center.

To make room for Walton, John Moffitt has been placed on Reserved / Left Squad list.

Moffitt unofficially announced his retirement from football via Twitter.

Diehard
11-11-2013, 01:23 AM
they should've cut hillman and ball instead. i'm only mostly joking.

Ball looked okay today in limited action. Hillman was inactive... seems like he's well entrenched in the doghouse (and with good reason).

Another guy who needs a bit of a "come to Jesus" talk is Decker. He plays too soft for a guy his size and has too many drops. Seems like his favorite part of the game is whining about calls. He has the potential to be a great receiver but he's got to become more consistent and physical.

villagewarrior
11-12-2013, 01:17 AM
Even though I feel the Chiefs will likely lose, I must say this is the most excited I've been about Chiefs-Broncos in some time. Julius Thomas is a stud, he versus Derrick Johnson or Eric Berry is intriguing. Brandon Flowers has been playing nickel with the emergence of Marcus Cooper, so Welker-Flowers should be important. Peyton Manning versus the Chiefs pass rush will be key.

Then of course, we've got the Chiefs bad offense versus the Broncos bad defense. Which one will be most productive? Sunday night should be fun, I'm hoping for a good game.

vidae
11-12-2013, 09:23 AM
No homer here, I think the Chiefs take this one.

It's one of those games where literally no one expects the Chiefs to win so it will probably happen. Get ready njx!

Diehard
11-12-2013, 10:43 AM
No homer here, I think the Chiefs take this one.

It's one of those games where literally no one expects the Chiefs to win so it will probably happen. Get ready njx!

Look at you, all bright-eyed and enthusiastic about your team. And not without reason - much seems to be going your way. I must say, when Peyton went down at the end of the Chargers game I was seriously wondering if some higher power was taking steps to ensure the Chiefs continue their streak against backup QBs...

I don't think either team is taking this game lightly. The Broncos want to take the lead in the division, the Chiefs want to show they are a real SB contender. I think the keys are pretty simple:

1. The Broncos need to avoid the unforced/sloppy turnovers - the Chiefs have feasted on that stuff all year

2. The Chiefs need to avoid getting down early - they don't have the offense to be playing catch-up on the road

If both teams can avoid those issues, I think it will be a great game.

vidae
11-12-2013, 01:43 PM
I'm playing with house money right now. I wasn't sure we'd get to 9 wins ALL SEASON, so to be 9-0 and looking like a lock for the playoffs? I'm just enjoying the ride.

Diehard
11-12-2013, 03:38 PM
I'm playing with house money right now. I wasn't sure we'd get to 9 wins ALL SEASON, so to be 9-0 and looking like a lock for the playoffs? I'm just enjoying the ride.

That's an excellent perspective. And yes, you're a lock to make the playoffs... too many 4-5 teams right now in the AFC, none of which really look poised to run the table in the second half. Tiebreakers in hand over Cleveland and Tennessee don't hurt either.

vidae
11-17-2013, 11:30 PM
Great game you guys. Continued health and good luck the rest of the way.

See you in Arrowhead in two weeks.

vidae
11-17-2013, 11:41 PM
i'm not looking forward to it, y'all have a hell of a team. in spite of whatever i think of your qb elsewhere.

No worries. You guys were the better team today. I'm looking forward to getting revenge in two weeks though!

Diehard
11-17-2013, 11:43 PM
Great game you guys. Continued health and good luck the rest of the way.

Thanks bro. Your defense is legit, but they needed more help from the offense. Reid is a good coach but he showed some of his warts at the end. I'm not sure it really mattered anyway. Really, considering all the good he's done for the team it's a small price to pay.

villagewarrior
11-17-2013, 11:57 PM
Good game, can't wait for the rematch.

Diehard
11-19-2013, 12:38 PM
My take home from last night - if it comes down to a late game penalty call, expect us to get the short end of the stick.

The Patriots showed some pretty nice run & playaction stuff last night. The Broncos D needs to stay disciplined. Knowing Brady isn't much of a threat to run helps a bit. Covering RBs coming out of the backfield will be really important - I hope Trevathan and Woodyard are up to the challenge.

The Patriots look banged up in the secondary. If there was ever a time for our outside receivers to step up their physical play, this is it.

Diehard
11-20-2013, 09:41 AM
is it just me not noticing him making plays, or has von been really, really average since coming back?

He's getting doubled a lot, but you are right, he's not making the kind of impact you'd expect. I guess this shouldn't be much of a surprise... that kind of layoff had to impact his game shape, regardless of how much time he spent in a gym.

Timbathia
11-21-2013, 06:18 PM
Yeah, this is why I get annoyed when people (on here or MSM) keep saying our def has improved because of von's return. I dont think much of it has to do with him at all. The rotation on the d-line has been mostly getting a good push all year, and certainly arent getting more impact plays since Von has come back. Von's return coincided with Woodyard getting back, and that is waaaay more important.

It is funny that Webster was the main reason we got an average/low draft grade from all the "expert" draftniks, yet so far he is easily our best haul from the draft.

Diehard
11-24-2013, 11:29 PM
Holliday - we don't trust him, and subbing in an unprepared Welker clearly isn't a solution

Carter - dude lost his DB spot and now killed a game with his **** play on special teams

RBs - anyone not named "Moreno"

Timbathia
11-25-2013, 05:36 PM
Our wide receivers really are so over-rated.

Agree on Decker. Other than knowing the playbook, he adds nothing to this team at all.

Demaryius is extremely valuable, but he should never be talked about as an elite wr. Awesome after the catch, but he never ever seems to win 50-50 contested balls that Peyton just chucks down the sideline. He had a horrible drop yesterday on crossing route too. I just dont think his hands are really that good at all.

Welker drops too many balls, period.

Diehard
11-25-2013, 06:50 PM
i don't want to overreact to last night too much, and i don't think i'm objective enough to talk about bey or welker. but this has been the last 8 weeks for decker. it's too bad, he has the talent to make plays, he just doesn't want to anymore.

He wants to when it is easy or glamorous. He just doesn't want to work for it. He's as soft as they come.

None of our receivers, other than Tamme, seemed to be able to handle the game conditions. I do hope they understand that dealing with adversity is a requirement to have any kind of success in the playoffs.

Timbathia
12-01-2013, 07:29 PM
I am glad that Decker reads this forum and understood our disgust. Good catches today, though we mostly knew he could run go routes and catch the ball when Peyton put it on his hands.

Someone on the d line will need to step up with big Vick out. We got pushed around today.

Our cb depth is getting sorely tested atm, and it is failing

vidae
12-01-2013, 07:37 PM
Good game today. Good luck the rest of the way and I hope we get to see you guys again in January.

Diehard
12-01-2013, 11:18 PM
Good game today. Good luck the rest of the way and I hope we get to see you guys again in January.

Thanks bro. The near implosion by our defense had me on the edge of my seat at the end there.

D-Unit
12-06-2013, 03:41 PM
Your team needs a GM in the Forum Mock! PM if interested.

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57875

Diehard
12-08-2013, 07:44 PM
Once again, we gave up a bunch of easy points early. Then again, we also scored a ridiculous number of points. If the receivers could keep their heads in the game and make the tough catches, we probably would've put up 60.

Diehard
12-09-2013, 10:46 AM
i was just getting ready to rip into von for being worthless this year, and then he has to go out and make a couple of big plays.

Yeah, Von looked pretty good in spots, though that helmet-to-helmet shot on Fitzpatrick was a pretty stupid move. Overall, I'd say the front seven are playing pretty well... it's the secondary that is looking shaky atm. Even with injuries aside, we need a starter at safety and another reliable CB.

Punisher
12-09-2013, 11:03 AM
Before this game started I joked with a buddy and said all I wanted for Christmas was a Denver pass rush to develop. I find it very hard to believe we can make it to the big game with our secondary like it is and injuries on D without having a pass rush pulse. Hopefully this last game is a sign of momentum going forward we'll keep up.

Diehard
12-09-2013, 06:15 PM
I think Webster is just hitting the rookie wall - he's played well in spots but it's a much more grueling season in the pros and he's probably feeling it now. Keep DRC-Harris-Webster and clean out the rest... sorry Champ, we can't be paying you 10 mil to keep the inactive list warm. Bring in a decent FA and a rookie and we should be okay.

On the topic of pass rush - if we want sacks, we need to get a little more pressure up front *and* tighten up the coverage downfield.

Diehard
12-12-2013, 12:53 AM
it doesn't help that the defensive play-calling has been, at times, positively putrid. JDR really, really likes wide open zones with lots of uncovered seams for some unknown reason.

The 3-man rush with the zones isn't working, but it's the conservative natures of Fox and JDR that makes them want to play the percentages. There have been a bunch of times when the CB switched the receiver to the deep zone, but the S (usually Nacho or Bolden) got distracted and was off picking his ass leaving the receiver to run free. That's basic stuff that has to be done right... especially if you aren't going to send a bunch of guys at the QB. The whole point of the playcall is to *not* give up the big play - when give it up anyway, you look like total ****.

I think maybe this last game they've started to realize that instead of trying to run out the clock and play prevent, we need to put the pedal to the metal on offense and let our DL/LBs pin their ears back and go after the QB when we have a lead.

Diehard
12-12-2013, 10:23 PM
i hope you're right. the pussyfoot bullcrap will get us bumped in the divisional round again.

So much for my hopes. They came out flat and played soft tonight.

The defense is a mess right now. Injuries, rookies hitting the wall, **** decision-making. Unfortunately, there really aren't a whole lot of changes that can be made at this point.

They've needed to cut Holliday for weeks. They don't trust him, yet they keep trotting him out there only to get the same result. He's done here. I don't see why that is so hard to understand.

Wootylicous
12-13-2013, 08:01 AM
I picked Jason Verrett in the forum mock and I'm trying to trade Montee Ball. Success ?

Timbathia
12-13-2013, 09:39 PM
the biggest problem to me, and i didn't watch most of the second half out of disgust so maybe i missed something else, is our secondary is completely disorganized and either no one knows what their job is, or no one's bothering to do it. i can't count the number of times we appear to be in a zone, only to watch a TE or WR run free across the field without anyone taking so much as a second glance. it's to the point where an opposing team has to actually *try* to fail to convert on third down. our defense just got swallowed every time i saw them try to run it last night.

meh. short week, whatever. most of the mistakes i saw in the first half were mental, either on JDR's side, or on the player's side. that team isn't a team that does much more than get blown out in the first round, unless peyton basically john elway's them.

Rahim Moore would be useful to have back. He isnt awesome, but he is better back there than anyone else we have.

It was good to have DRC back. Webster wasnt actually that bad yesterday, despite how much he was picked on. His coverage was okay, but Rivers threw the ball really well and his receivers catch the ball better than ours. Hard to say if champ can improve the def come playoff time, but harris and webster arent exactly playing great.

I think we are missing vickerson and wolfe a bit too, especially in run def.

Holliday is awful, and too often our coverage on kicks is screwing up.

Our def and special teams dont need to be great, but they cant be awful, and right now they are pretty awful. Hopefully we spend the next few weeks getting healthy and then things improve a bit.

Diehard
12-15-2013, 09:35 PM
I think we are missing vickerson and wolfe a bit too, especially in run def.

Absolutely. The depth along the DL we had earlier in the season is gone... and that depth helped to compensate for the fact we didn't have any high impact guys.

The defense overall is a confused mess. We've got guys coming off injuries, guys who are injury replacements and inexperienced guys being asked to do more than they are probably able to handle at this point.

njx9
12-22-2013, 12:25 PM
decker really was apparently listening a few weeks ago.

Diehard
12-23-2013, 06:46 AM
decker really was apparently listening a few weeks ago.

Yep, he's manned up a bit which is good to see.

Del Rio still bringing out the 3-man rushes and ****** zone coverages. Texans had two big plays off what looked to be our guys inability to transition receivers from one zone to another.

Trevathan is the new Woodyard - the kid really comes to play. Not sure what's going on with the old Woodyard... he must be really banged up or in the doghouse to have Paris Lenon starting.

njx9
12-23-2013, 07:45 AM
woodyard's defining play for me, was when he gave up a 1st on (i think) a 3rd and long. the problem was, that he caught up to the guy before the first down marker and then spent the next five yards trying to strip the ball, instead of just making the tackle and getting the ball back on a punt. woodyard last year makes the right play there.

and yes, i still hate del rio. i don't know that there's anyone better, or anyone i'd rather have, but some of the defenses we line up are... interesting.

bigbluedefense
12-23-2013, 09:15 AM
Wade Phillips will be available. Fox will never fire Del Rio though. He's stubbornly loyal to his assistants like Coughlin is.

Stubbornly loyal to veterans too.

njx9
12-23-2013, 09:16 AM
jdr will go to usc. i doubt phillips would want to come back under bowlen, but who knows. bowlen's senile enough to have no idea that it happened.

that said, doesn't phillips run a 34? we'd basically have to turn over the entire front seven yet again. we'd be another 5 years from playing competent defense.

bigbluedefense
12-23-2013, 09:29 AM
It's really a 4-3 under disguised as a 3-4.

No one really runs a traditional 3-4 defense anymore.

Diehard
12-23-2013, 03:05 PM
It's really a 4-3 under disguised as a 3-4

Basically, the open-side DE plays from a 2-point stance and thus is considered a LB even though he has DE-esque responsibilities?

We run a lot of 4-3 under already because it put Von on the LOS where he could do the most damage.

bigbluedefense
12-23-2013, 03:13 PM
Basically, the open-side DE plays from a 2-point stance and thus is considered a LB even though he has DE-esque responsibilities?

We run a lot of 4-3 under already because it put Von on the LOS where he could do the most damage.

Basically, your RE would be standing up instead of a 3 point stance, and your LE would be more of a 5 tech. That's the only difference.

Diehard
12-25-2013, 12:11 AM
Basically, your RE would be standing up instead of a 3 point stance, and your LE would be more of a 5 tech. That's the only difference.

I wonder if perhaps Trent Murphy from Stanford would fit nicely into that "standing DE" role...

njx9
12-25-2013, 02:02 PM
isn't that derek wolfe's role, when he's healthy? that or he's positionless, since he's not a dt in any scheme.

Wootylicous
12-25-2013, 03:01 PM
Denver Broncos draft

1. Jason Verrett, CB
2. Zack Martin, OT/OG
3. Adrian Hubbard, LB/DE
5. Yawin Smallwood, LB
5. Jimmie Ward, S
6. Tyler Gaffney, RB
7. Tevin Reese, WR/KR

This is what I got in the forum mock. Fire away!

njx9
12-25-2013, 03:03 PM
i don't buy ot/g as a position of need at a second round level, but if martin was BPA, then i wouldn't argue with the pick.

Diehard
12-26-2013, 01:35 PM
isn't that derek wolfe's role, when he's healthy? that or he's positionless, since he's not a dt in any scheme.

Wolfe is a tweener DT/DE, so it would seem the strong side DE spot next to Von would be a good place for him. Then bring in someone with a little more pass rush ability to play DE on the weak side, creating more consistent pressure on the pocket like we had with the Doom-Miller combo the previous season.

The problem is that we already have a bit of a logjam on the DL when everyone is healthy. Ayers is serviceable, Malik Jackson is making a strong case for more playing time and Phillips has been productive. We probably need to let some of these guys walk in FA and then go after someone in the draft/FA who would be a clear upgrade for the line.

njx9
12-26-2013, 01:38 PM
i don't see it in the draft, at our spot, but who knows. that said, i'd rather not spend another year messing with the front 4, unless there's some warren sapp-like drop. especially if it's just because we brought in a DC who doesn't fit the personnel.

Diehard
12-26-2013, 02:00 PM
i don't see it in the draft, at our spot, but who knows. that said, i'd rather not spend another year messing with the front 4, unless there's some warren sapp-like drop. especially if it's just because we brought in a DC who doesn't fit the personnel.

Agreed - the back seven need the help more. MLB, S, CB... all need to be addressed before DE.

Diehard
12-26-2013, 02:32 PM
Denver Broncos draft

1. Jason Verrett, CB
2. Zack Martin, OT/OG
3. Adrian Hubbard, LB/DE
5. Yawin Smallwood, LB
5. Jimmie Ward, S
6. Tyler Gaffney, RB
7. Tevin Reese, WR/KR

This is what I got in the forum mock. Fire away!

* CB is definitely a need, so that's good.
* Martin's toughness would be a welcome change from Beadles.
* Not a fan of Hubbard - he kinda disappeared this season after a lot of hype.
* Smallwood in round 5 seems like a bit of a steal to me and lines up with how the Broncos have drafted LBs the last few seasons.
* Ward is an okay pick but I'm not sure we can be waiting until late in round 5 to be addressing the S spot
* Reese seems a little like Trindon Holliday Mk 2. From the games I've seen his hands aren't great - is he more reliable as a returner?

Jimmy
01-02-2014, 05:04 PM
Agreed - the back seven need the help more. MLB, S, CB... all need to be addressed before DE.

Here's a question for you all. How much of the secondary issues would you attribute to our opponents simply being forced to pass the ball at a much higher volume? I'm obviously not looking to ignore defensive ineptitude, but I feel like we gave up a lot of garbage time yardage and were simply dealt with a lot more pass plays than the average team due to our offensive efficiency.

We had the 6th most passes thrown against us, but finished 16th in the league in yards per play (tied with 3 teams). That's somewhat encouraging.

Again, we gave up the 4th most first downs in the league, but had the 15th best first down percentage in the league. This again points to sheer volume of passing plays against us due to big leads - and not so much a huge defensive ineptitude.

While I'm all for shoring up the secondary, it's inevitable that we're not going to have a "good" passing defense on paper with a QB this good. The difference between our yards passing per game allowed and a top 10 defenses' is about 25 per game, and that's going to be EASILY covered in garbage time during at least 10 games a year until Peyton retires.

I wonder whether it's really possible to have an elite pass defense with a QB like Peyton. I think you have to almost bite the bullet and say, "Hey, this is what you get for having a H.O.F. QB in this era."

I'll say that this was statistical analysis and not an evaluation of individual performance. We'll obviously be able to point to individual players and demand improvement. But I'd still say that these players get a raw deal playing with P.M.

njx9
01-02-2014, 05:14 PM
*shrug* the players have looked awful. stats can't hide that chris harris can't cover a toddler in a sandbox, that champ looks senile, our safeties are slower than vince wilfork and that our defensive gameplan is horrific.

i get what you're saying, but it's just not borne out by what i see on the field.

crossroads
01-02-2014, 05:30 PM
Denver gave up the 3rd fewest passing yards in the league last season, and that was with Manning at QB as well. They just weren't good defensively this year, for a variety of reasons. Von basically taking the year off certainly hurt, as Denver dropped from being tied for 1st last year in sacks with 52 to being 14th this year with 41, champ being a shell of his former self etc

Jimmy
01-02-2014, 06:22 PM
*shrug* the players have looked awful. stats can't hide that chris harris can't cover a toddler in a sandbox, that champ looks senile, our safeties are slower than vince wilfork and that our defensive gameplan is horrific.

i get what you're saying, but it's just not borne out by what i see on the field.

I'll say that at during his rookie season, Harris was a competent player. I don't know what happened between that point and now, but it's either injury related, or scheme related. And I find it hard to blame a guy for playing like **** in a garbage scheme. Maybe he's just being asked to do more than he previously was, but he sure was useful back in 2011.

Denver gave up the 3rd fewest passing yards in the league last season, and that was with Manning at QB as well. They just weren't good defensively this year, for a variety of reasons. Von basically taking the year off certainly hurt, as Denver dropped from being tied for 1st last year in sacks with 52 to being 14th this year with 41, champ being a shell of his former self etc

valid point, I think it must come back to not having that 1B pass rush pressure.

njx9
01-02-2014, 06:40 PM
I'll say that at during his rookie season, Harris was a competent player. I don't know what happened between that point and now, but it's either injury related, or scheme related. And I find it hard to blame a guy for playing like **** in a garbage scheme. Maybe he's just being asked to do more than he previously was, but he sure was useful back in 2011.

he was great last year. anyone he was on was basically taken out of the game. this year he's just getting beat. and i don't feel like it's even been a pass rush issue (though i agree with both of you that that has stunk). i haven't kept a count or anything, but it feels like there are a lot of 2-3 second completions against him, and a lot of double moves where he's just getting killed. that said, JDR's 'pretend to play a wide, prevent but don't actually cover anyone' defensive scheme can't be helping. i have no idea what he's calling half of the time, but he should really throw out a few of those pages in the playbook.

Diehard
01-03-2014, 03:19 AM
Injuries and Von's suspension are pretty much the tale of the tape this year. Those factors have forced guys like Harris to carry more of the load than expected.

Champ missing pretty much the whole season has been particularly problematic. We've relied on his man coverage ability to lock down one guy for so long it's like the scheme has been upset by his absence. Throw in a significant dose of instability at safety and some growing pains by our young CBs and it is no surprise we've struggled in coverage. I think the coaching staff have tried to bandage this throwing in more zone coverages and dropping more people back... with very mixed results.

Does having the #1 offense force other teams to throw more? Definitely. But even with that effect, we haven't been getting the kind of secondary play we need on a regular basis (other than DRC, who has been pretty solid). Looking at the draft/FA from that perspective, we've pretty much got to plan on replacing Champ and I don't see either safety spot as being locked up either.

Jimmy
01-05-2014, 07:53 AM
Looks like Von is questionable for the start of the 2014 season. I honestly hope he just comes back 100%, even if it takes him an extra two months to recover.

The unfortunate thing is that his rookie contract is almost up. 2014 is his last year, and after that, he has every right to go elsewhere. Any new deal we might have given him is essentially out the window at this point.

Diehard
01-07-2014, 05:50 PM
The unfortunate thing is that his rookie contract is almost up. 2014 is his last year, and after that, he has every right to go elsewhere. Any new deal we might have given him is essentially out the window at this point.

If we want to resign him, I suspect it will be much more affordable now. Between suspension and injury his bargaining position isn't strong.

njx9
01-07-2014, 06:54 PM
i'm honestly not sure he'll be worth what he wants. he dropped badly this year. after the suspension, he looked disinterested at best. geared up, made one play a game, then took the rest of the day off. he'll play for his contract next year, then haynesworth away his career.

granted i'm more bitter right now than i might be at this point next year, but it's hard to want a guy back who doesn't seem to want to be here in the first place.

Jimmy
01-12-2014, 06:52 PM
I am so proud of Fox for abandoning Foxball for the last 4 minutes and actually making an attempt to win through the air. Absolutely not what I expected from him.

njx9
01-12-2014, 08:21 PM
i'm *shocked* that manning actually made smart calls at the end of the game. i kept expecting him to out-think himself.

i can't wait till del rio goes to USC. that "let's play 47 yards off" zone crap towards the end was pathetic and inexcusable, given how well we played when he wasn't calling it. stellar effort by the defense otherwise, imo.

Timbathia
01-12-2014, 09:11 PM
i'm *shocked* that manning actually made smart calls at the end of the game. i kept expecting him to out-think himself.

i can't wait till del rio goes to USC. that "let's play 47 yards off" zone crap towards the end was pathetic and inexcusable, given how well we played when he wasn't calling it. stellar effort by the defense otherwise, imo.

Ball has been looking good. Def solid til they started throwing.

A lot went wrong today, so nice to get a good win. I guess a lot went wrong for SD too, so shouldnt complain.

Timbathia
01-12-2014, 09:15 PM
And I hope Harris is okay, cause Jammer couldnt cover your mom

Jimmy
01-12-2014, 09:30 PM

In Jammer's defense, Keenan Allen is going to be this decade's Bronco killer. Looks like a really impressive young WR even though half of his catches were against soft zones.

Diehard
01-12-2014, 09:34 PM

The defense at the end was terrible. Go into prevent, but don't keep everything in front of you and don't protect the sidelines? Seriously, wtf??? And how do we end up having 3rd string scrubs like Jammer and Huff covering their best WR in crunch time?

Timbathia
01-14-2014, 08:08 PM
This week is doing my head in. Anything could happen next week. We could get blown out, we could blow them out or it could come down to OT. It feels like a coin toss.

Jimmy
01-19-2014, 05:12 PM
John Fox. Such aggressive. Much balls. Wow.

Timbathia
01-19-2014, 06:24 PM
That was just so enjoyable to watch.

njx9
01-19-2014, 09:02 PM
that's awesome, though i wish san francisco had won. i think seattle is a horrible matchup for us. lynch will kill us, and they'll shut down our wrs.

i guess if peyton can at least avoid some of the god awful decisions kaep made we'll be slightly ok.

Timbathia
01-19-2014, 09:25 PM
that's awesome, though i wish san francisco had won. i think seattle is a horrible matchup for us. lynch will kill us, and they'll shut down our wrs.

i guess if peyton can at least avoid some of the god awful decisions kaep made we'll be slightly ok.

I wish the niners had won mainly because I just hate this current version of Seattle so much. Guys like Sherman and Tate are just such dicks, and Carroll is so unlikeable.

Nalej
01-19-2014, 09:28 PM
A bit late but congrats fellas. I'll be rooting for you guys against Seattle.

Diehard
01-19-2014, 10:29 PM
I wish the niners had won mainly because I just hate this current version of Seattle so much. Guys like Sherman and Tate are just such dicks, and Carroll is so unlikeable.

49ers aren't any better. The NFC West has more than its share of douchebags.

A bit late but congrats fellas. I'll be rooting for you guys against Seattle.

Thanks bro. I was a little worried about this game but the Broncos showed a lot of poise and were definitely ready to play.

AntoinCD
01-20-2014, 06:45 AM
Congrats on the game yesterday guys. Hope you win the Superbowl now. I have to be honest I thought your run defense was more of a case of teams having to throw more than actually being that good but the last 2 games has proven me wrong. Hopefully Pot Roast can play like he did yesterday and you shut down Lynch. Force Wilson to throw to beat you and I think you take it.

And I think we can put the Manning/playoff woes storyline to bed now

njx9
01-20-2014, 08:32 AM
not that there won't be plenty of time over the next two weeks to go over every single bit of the matchup, but god i hope demaryius ***** slaps sherman all over the field.

and that we don't repeatedly run that same stretch play that san francisco insisted on running on every single 1st down that never netted more than a yard.

bigbluedefense
01-20-2014, 09:05 AM
not that there won't be plenty of time over the next two weeks to go over every single bit of the matchup, but god i hope demaryius ***** slaps sherman all over the field.

and that we don't repeatedly run that same stretch play that san francisco insisted on running on every single 1st down that never netted more than a yard.

Bro you need to get twitter so I can troll you during games.

njx9
01-20-2014, 09:13 AM
i don't go near a computer during games i care about because everyone online is an idiot.

bigbluedefense
01-20-2014, 09:16 AM
Who tweets on a computer? I thought everyone used their phones.

Wootylicous
01-20-2014, 09:16 AM
I really hope Osweiler gets a ring.

bigbluedefense
01-20-2014, 09:19 AM
If both qbs get hurt and Osweiler vs Jackson is our qb matchup for the SB in the snow/wind, that might be the greatest thing ever.

Punisher
01-20-2014, 10:53 AM
I'm going to Hawaii at the end of the week paid by my work but all I can focus on is the damn Super Bowl. So excited. It's been too long fellas!

Timbathia
01-20-2014, 02:38 PM

I cant imagine that demaryius will get a catch on sherman, or that we will get a single yard rushing. The only chance demaryius has is a quick screeen where he ends up stiff arming sherman on the way to an 80 yd td. Or even better, welker just runs through sherman on a rub route and puts him on his arse.

cmarq83
01-20-2014, 02:43 PM
I cant imagine that demaryius will get a catch on sherman, or that we will get a single yard rushing. The only chance demaryius has is a quick screeen where he ends up stiff arming sherman on the way to an 80 yd td. Or even better, welker just runs through sherman on a rub route and puts him on his arse.

Although I hate that this happened to Talib this week. I would enjoy it immensely if you did that to Sherman.

Sportsfan486
01-20-2014, 02:49 PM
How are you guys feeling about this game?? I'm rooting for you from Seattle in a bad way.

Such crap that it's played in New York.

Also, the Hawks CAN be run on. They tend to overcommit to the pass and teams have made them pay this year on the ground at times.

Your best chance against Sherman is safe throws and letting people get physical with him. He's actually pretty soft and much more of a finesse player. He jams well at the line but that's due to his superior technique and not physicality.

He also tends to play the deep ball, which he can be beat on, and they like to slide a backer or safety underneath. Your best bet is going to be Welker underneath but they need to shy him away from Chancellor. If Manning gets time, Thomas can get open deep against Sherman once or twice. But for the love of everything, do not throw a fade on Richard Sherman.

Defense is going to be the key. The Hawks offense is dreadful if you can stop their running game and get any semblance of pressure (which is not hard against them.) But if they get Lynch going? See ya.

I think you guys would have a great chance at routing them if you had the 2012 version of Von Miller. But without him? I don't know. The weather will favor them and they match up well against you.

Timbathia
01-20-2014, 02:57 PM
How are you guys feeling about this game?? I'm rooting for you from Seattle in a bad way.

Such crap that it's played in New York.

Also, the Hawks CAN be run on. They tend to overcommit to the pass and teams have made them pay this year on the ground at times.

Your best chance against Sherman is safe throws and letting people get physical with him. He's actually pretty soft and much more of a finesse player. He jams well at the line but that's due to his superior technique and not physicality.

He also tends to play the deep ball, which he can be beat on, and they like to slide a backer or safety underneath. Your best bet is going to be Welker underneath but they need to shy him away from Chancellor. If Manning gets time, Thomas can get open deep against Sherman once or twice. But for the love of everything, do not throw a fade on Richard Sherman.

Defense is going to be the key. The Hawks offense is dreadful if you can stop their running game and get any semblance of pressure (which is not hard against them.) But if they get Lynch going? See ya.

I think you guys would have a great chance at routing them if you had the 2012 version of Von Miller. But without him? I don't know. The weather will favor them and

I think I am most worried about the big passing plays. If Wilson can create time with his feet, then someone will be open down field. We cant cover **** if the qb has time. I think (hope) we can score some points on them, I dont think a shoot out will be ideal.

njx9
01-20-2014, 02:57 PM
you hit on most of the things that make me nervous. i don't trust our run defense. knighton and vickerson need to destroy the middle, and phillips needs to keep getting after wilson. our linebackers need to bloody tackle people. i think the game yesterday might've been very different if san francsico had just made tackles instead of trying to strip the ball from lynch.

we have to get good coverage on seattle's secondary wrs. they're not amazing players, but they're certainly capable of making big plays (like the touchdown catch on the 4th down play).

wilson, right now, doesn't scare me. but if he plays like he did at the beginning of the year, we'll need to score often to keep up.

peyton has to continue to play within himself and not second guess himself like he used to do in indy. he's been terrific so far, and as long as he and gase keep on attacking, i think they offense will be ok.

if peyton/gase or jdr fall back into 'prevent' ********, we'll get blown out in the second half no matter how well everyone else plays.

and in either case, we can't turn the ball over. not even once. if we can get a fumble and get points, or at least not give up any, i think it'll be a much closer game.

Sportsfan486
01-20-2014, 03:16 PM
peyton has to continue to play within himself and not second guess himself like he used to do in indy. he's been terrific so far, and as long as he and gase keep on attacking, i think they offense will be ok.

if peyton/gase or jdr fall back into 'prevent' ********, we'll get blown out in the second half no matter how well everyone else plays.

This. Seattle has struggled at times against hurry up offenses. They play a very intense brand of defense and if you can string together plays quickly, they do get tired.

A quick passing no-huddle attack is really the best way to beat them. They like to sub out defensive lineman and play situational football. If you can get them stuck out there they'll play overly conservatively and you can nickel and dime them all day.

The last 49ers drive is the perfect example. There were even people wide open on that last play and Kaep made a horrible decision. You don't want to throw up 50/50 balls against these guys because it's more like 80/20 favoring them.

They tend to lock onto one or two receivers in anticipation of a throw there and Manning just has to recognize who they are and move through his progressions quickly. Typically they play deeper shell coverage against the non-primary receivers so again, short stuff works.

Brees had Graham basically taken away and didn't adapt to it well enough. We'll see how Manning adapts when they take away the Thomas brothers (or maybe they decide to key on Welker and leave Julius in one on ones.)

Timbathia
01-20-2014, 04:48 PM
i don't trust our run defense. knighton and vickerson need to destroy the middle, and phillips needs to keep getting after wilson.

I am not sure big Vick will be much help in the SB.

Timbathia
01-20-2014, 04:49 PM
Although I hate that this happened to Talib this week. I would enjoy it immensely if you did that to Sherman.

The hit on Talib doesnt sit particularly well with me either.

njx9
01-20-2014, 05:16 PM
I am not sure big Vick will be much help in the SB.

i'm an idiot.

Namy
01-20-2014, 10:41 PM
What a season the Broncos have had, and I'm so glad that it's still not over. This game against the Seahawks makes me nervous though, especially because they will be getting back Percy Harvin. While the Seahawks aren't a great offense, they make big plays. And that's exactly the weakness of our defense. We give up too many big plays. Containing Lynch is the obvious #1 priority, but slowing down Harvin is a very close 2nd.

Like everyone else, I'm very intrigued by the match-ups when the Broncos are on offense and Seattle is on defense. I don't think any defense, including Seattle's, has enough depth to handle all of our weapons... but I have a gut feeling that the receiver that they'll dare us to beat them with is Eric Decker. Really hoping Decker doesn't cry for PI calls in this game... doubt they'll award any to him - not against a D with the Seahawks' reputation.

And don't sleep on special teams. Keeping Harvin from giving Seattle good field position will be huge. And hopefully Holliday can give us a throwback game a la his performance against the Ravens last year.

Timbathia
01-20-2014, 10:54 PM
And don't sleep on special teams. Keeping Harvin from giving Seattle good field position will be huge. And hopefully Holliday can give us a throwback game a la his performance against the Ravens last year.

This is an interesting point. With the two playoff games so far in Denver, Holliday was completely irrelevant as kickoff returns arent part of the game and he wasnt punt returning. I almost forgot he existed. Clearly we wont let him return punts in the superbowl, but kickoffs could be interesting. That being said, Seattle kickoff coverage is undoubtedly better than ours, so we will probably lose the game that way.

Timbathia
01-27-2014, 11:07 PM
So after laughing at njx's response to someone in the mock draft forum, maybe we should post a list of draft needs somewhere. Clearly it will be difficult to do as there a few unknowns regarding the 1 yr rentals we have (and whether they are resigned), as well as one or two possible retirements, however;

- safety and cb are massive needs. Moore is ok as a starter, but overall our safeties never seem to make plays or be in a position to make plays. It would also be nice to get good young cb if there was one available.

- ilb. We are reasonably well set on the outside, but inside is not good.

- dline - Depends on what happens with Phillips and Ayers, but we have good depth, just not awesome starters. drafting dline doesnt seem the best option as at the end of the first we wont get a stud. Reaching into FA if necessary is probably more likely.

- wr seems to be a very likely draft need (which appears odd after the season we just had). Decker may be gone, Caldwell isnt awesome and a UFA and good chance Welker isnt around too long.

- OG is a possibility, depending on whether they resign Beadles or want to add depth.

- QB, TE are not high on the list. RB either, even if Moreno goes it is possible they will leave Ball and Hillman to carry the load.

- any other thoughts?

njx9
01-27-2014, 11:48 PM
cb, cb, cb, cb. maybe a safety. if we don't resign DRC, we're both stupid and screwed.

i'd take any LBer at this point.

and anything on the DL, though i hope we bring phillips back.

qb should be out, now that we have dysert to unseat osweiler. i imagine a rb would be a good late round call. i'd love a james wilder, if he falls.

i think we'll need a wr, and i'm honestly not opposed to taking one in the first. decker is gone unless he takes a huge cut, and there isn't anything on the roster to replace him. maybe a kelvin benjamin, if he doesn't end up shooting up boards any more than he already has.

interior o-line probably needs some depth, but i don't think any of the guys available early are worth it for us.

tackle might need 7th round depth, but with clark on the roster, that's it. te should definitely be out, since we need to get rid of some anyways.

all that said, we really need to just go BPA. yes, we have defensive needs, but i don't think anything available at our pick is likely to represent an immediate impact player. so just go talent, and worry about needs on day 3.

Namy
01-30-2014, 11:22 PM
tackle might need 7th round depth, but with clark on the roster, that's it. te should definitely be out, since we need to get rid of some anyways.

This might be stupid, but any chance that we shop either Chris Clark or Ryan Clady during the off-season? If Chris Clark plays well in the Super Bowl against Seattle, we could probably trade him for a player in a position of need or package him in a deal for a higher draft pick. I get that having a quality backup tackle paid off big time this year, but given Manning's limited timetable, do you think it might make sense to adopt a go-big-or-go-home approach next year? I also mention this because if we do go for a WR in the first round like you suggest, I think there is only one worth getting. And that's Sammy Watkins. It'd be like having two DTs on the field, plus Welker and JT.

If we don't move up in the draft, I like CB Darqueze Dennard from Michigan St. Only watched a few of Mich. St. games, but he really stood out to me as a physical and fairly polished DB who could contribute quickly.

njx9
01-31-2014, 07:08 AM
i wouldn't, clady's ability post-injury isn't a sure thing, and no one's going to give us anything for him. and i can't imagine we'd get anything approaching the value clark gave us this year, especially given his contract.

i can't imagine dennard lasts to our pick, i imagine he goes top 15, along with gilbert. i think we're looking at more of a "flawed" (depending on your view of him) prospect like roby.

and i disagree on watkins. i think, around our pick, there could well be a lot of good value at the position for us, in terms of big, fast wrs. but i also don't think it's really a priority. and watkins will likely go top ten, and there's no way we'd be able to move up that high for him (at that point, might as well make the move for clowney).

Chris
01-31-2014, 10:52 AM
Team needs to upgrade ever level of the defense: pass rushing DE, defensive tackle, linebacker, safety and cornerback.

The back end is the most concerning with the FA status of players, Bailey's contract and injuries to some of our players.

I think we can wait a round or two to go with the DL. We need some playmakers at LB and the DB first three rounds.

njx9
02-02-2014, 06:41 PM
What a ******* joke this team is.

Jimmy
02-02-2014, 07:02 PM
What sucks is that if we had just played our regular brand of offense, we would have committed like 1-2 turnovers but it wouldn't be as bad as this...

Now we're "forced" to take actual chances in the second half and play the style of ball we've played all year. And it won't be as bad in the second, but this deficit...

Diehard
02-02-2014, 07:56 PM
The team was done from the 1st play. I find it hard to believe that you could be so unprepared for the moment. Unfortunately, I've born witness to this before way back in the day when the team crapped its pants on the field against 49ers.

njx9
02-02-2014, 09:19 PM
Yup. Every part of the team just gave up. I hope champ just retires. ******* awful.

Jimmy
02-02-2014, 09:21 PM
The team was done from the 1st play. I find it hard to believe that you could be so unprepared for the moment. Unfortunately, I've born witness to this before way back in the day when the team crapped its pants on the field against 49ers.

See I was born into this like 22 years ago - spoiled. By the time I was 9 we had 2 rings. Guess it's my turn to suffer for a few decades.

njx9
02-02-2014, 09:29 PM
I hope the lesson taken was that the offensive game plan was terrible, and by that Peyton needs more weapons to call to get the ball to.

Every part of the defense besides, ironically, defensive tackle, needs so much work. I'm not sure there's a linebacker aside from trevathan who should be on the roster next year. The dbs aside from drc are pathetic.

It's just depressing how much worse than Seattle we really were at almost every position.

Timbathia
02-02-2014, 10:20 PM
fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck

cant get off the field in third and long. secondary is awful, just awful.

i need to forget about football for a few months. catch you all nearer to draft time.

Punisher
02-02-2014, 10:25 PM
Does Jack Del Rio get **** canned?

Diehard
02-02-2014, 11:17 PM
It's just depressing how much worse than Seattle we really were at almost every position.

We came out and laid an egg, then gave up. I'm not sure the game was so much a talent evaluation as it was a motivation / heart evaluation.

Does Jack Del Rio get **** canned?

I'd say the whole coaching staff should take a long look in the mirror.

njx9
02-03-2014, 08:32 AM
We came out and laid an egg, then gave up. I'm not sure the game was so much a talent evaluation as it was a motivation / heart evaluation.

i don't disagree that there was no motivation, but the defense was horrific. our wrs apparently couldn't get open (or peyton wasn't good enough to get it to them). our line couldn't block anyone. i just don't think there was a single player on the field where i could honestly say we had the better player. maybe wr, but then demaryius decided to just drop the ball. meh.

i really, really hope usc takes del rio, though. and that's an all season issue, not a last night issue.

what really sucks is that, usually, i'd have hockey to fall back on after the broncos disappoint. but even the red wings suck this year.