PDA

View Full Version : Denver Broncos Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13]

njx9
02-03-2014, 03:22 PM
a little less angry now...

offseason priorities:

1) resign DRC. like, right now. he was the only valuable DB we had all year, and he needs to be back.
2) cut holliday. if he worries about hanging onto the ball, he's a terrible return man. if he doesn't, he fumbles every other return. i loved him last year, but let's move on.
3) resign moreno (i know, i know. i can't believe i said it, either) if he'll take a reasonable deal to stay here. if he won't, draft a guy in the late rounds and spend the offseason teaching ball whatever they taught moreno this year about getting to the hole.
4) linebackers and defensive backs. set up a tackling drill. put up a tackling dummy and tape the ball to it. then, have every non-DL player tackle it. if they go for the strip, cut them, instantly. i don't care if it's von. i have no idea what's supposed to be out there for FA, but it would be hard to get worse talent than we currently have. i'm ok with trevathan coming back.
5) cut champ if he won't retire. i love the guy for everything he did here, but he's done. he'd have been beat deep by hauschka.

anything pressing that i'm missing?

Timbathia
02-03-2014, 05:00 PM
a little less angry now...

offseason priorities:

1) resign DRC. like, right now. he was the only valuable DB we had all year, and he needs to be back.
2) cut holliday. if he worries about hanging onto the ball, he's a terrible return man. if he doesn't, he fumbles every other return. i loved him last year, but let's move on.
3) resign moreno (i know, i know. i can't believe i said it, either) if he'll take a reasonable deal to stay here. if he won't, draft a guy in the late rounds and spend the offseason teaching ball whatever they taught moreno this year about getting to the hole.
4) linebackers and defensive backs. set up a tackling drill. put up a tackling dummy and tape the ball to it. then, have every non-DL player tackle it. if they go for the strip, cut them, instantly. i don't care if it's von. i have no idea what's supposed to be out there for FA, but it would be hard to get worse talent than we currently have. i'm ok with trevathan coming back.
5) cut champ if he won't retire. i love the guy for everything he did here, but he's done. he'd have been beat deep by hauschka.

anything pressing that i'm missing?

Surprisingly i am not that upset today. I think it is because we were beat so damn comprehensively.

What do you think about spending in FA on a safety? It has been such a long time since we had anyone at safety that was a factor. CBs tend to look much better when they actually get help, like ever. Our run def was okay yesterday, and mostly has all season. the pass rush was poor yesterday, but again, has been okay most of the season. Yeah, we need cbs and an ilb, but there cant be many worse starting safeties in the nfl than ours.

moreno and decker will be very interesting FA cases. Both produced like top tier players without being top tier players. Are they delusional or cash hungry enough to chase that sort of money, or would they rather sign a deal commensurate with their actual ability.

njx9
02-03-2014, 05:03 PM
i can't imagine anything worth having at S in FA, so i assume it has to be a draft pick.

and really, our run defense was only good because of knighton. the linebackers were lucky enough to occasionally run into lynch and then even more lucky that he fell down, since only one of them has any clue how to wrap up.

and i agree that we just got beat up and down the field. but i was pissed yesterday at how flat everyone was. that team would've been beat by jacksonville or houston.

Timbathia
02-03-2014, 06:26 PM
i can't imagine anything worth having at S in FA, so i assume it has to be a draft pick.

and really, our run defense was only good because of knighton. the linebackers were lucky enough to occasionally run into lynch and then even more lucky that he fell down, since only one of them has any clue how to wrap up.

and i agree that we just got beat up and down the field. but i was pissed yesterday at how flat everyone was. that team would've been beat by jacksonville or houston.

Slight possibility that Jarius Byrd or TJ Ward dont resign or get franchise tag (probably just wishful thinking though). Whitner may also be available.

njx9
02-03-2014, 06:30 PM
i'd love to land either of those guys. whitner isn't really the kind of guy who i think makes a difference on our defense, but then, if i'm being honest, our secondary was so bad, that i'd take just about anyone on a reasonable contract.

Diehard
02-03-2014, 10:46 PM
Surprisingly i am not that upset today. I think it is because we were beat so damn comprehensively.

I'm the other way - seeing them fold so quickly... like, right in the 1st quarter was too hard too take. They weren't ready and I think they knew it. Sure hope they enjoyed a hell of a party in NYC leading up to gametime because they weren't worth **** on the field. For that, I want to see heads roll.

Other moves:
* Say goodbye to Decker and Beadles - both are too soft and get pushed around.
* Purge the defensive backfield with hellfire and acquire some real safeties and depth at CB
* Shift the offensive scheme more strongly towards the run. Get replacements for Decker, Beadles and Tamme who are tough and physical.
* Really find out if the guys we have behind Manning are worth keeping. If not, make a move to address that issue. My gut feeling is that our time with Manning is short and we'd better be ready for that post-Peyton reality.

ZoneMaster67
02-03-2014, 11:29 PM
Osweiler and Dysert need to be ready, I hope one of them is the future replacement for Peyton.

I'm not a fan of Knowshon, but he is finally becoming the type of back you use a first round pick on. Ball is coming along, but isn't the back I was hoping he was going to be coming out of college.

Another Tight End would be helpful, maybe one that is a strong blocker. Decker is still a little underwhelming, he should be a bigger threat than he has been, especially with Welker, Julius, and Demaryius.

If they decide to keep Beadles he needs to be pushed for that starting spot. I really like him, but he does struggle. Outside of Vasquez, I think the interior spots could be upgraded. I think with Clady coming back the tackle spots are in good shape with Franklin on the right side and Clark in the swing spot.

Wolfe and Miller coming back would be a lot of help for the front seven. I like Knighton and Vickerson in the middle, but I'd like to see Williams develop into an inside presents (or they pick someone else up and Wolfe moves inside full-time).

Trevathan is coming along nicely, he's the bright spot in the backer corps and they need to build around him and Miller.

Denver still needs at least one more corner (better yet two) to go with DRC and Chris Harris. Harris is going to be coming off an ACL so he may still be questionable next season. Champ is finally considering a move to Safety, that will help a little but Denver still needs to look into other options(outside of the team) at both safety positions.

Namy
02-04-2014, 12:02 AM
The game was more comical to me than disappointing: safety to start the game, multiple picks (one for a TD), fumble, kickoff return TD, shutout for 3 quarters. I think the game played out worse than my worst nightmare!

Although we gave up 43 points, I'm not going to pin it on the defense. Two of the scores came from special teams and a pick-6. Two of the other TDs came from short field situations due to turnovers or 3-and-outs. Don't get me wrong. The defense got outplayed, but their mistakes pale in comparison to that of our offense. I could hardly recognize that unit last night.

As for next year, Decker and Moreno are expendable in my opinion. Decker is soft and not worth the money he will be demanding. And Knowshon was only valuable for his pass protection (I believe PFF showed that Moreno has the worst or second-worst yards after initial contact). Now that Ball will be in his 2nd year, I trust that he can step up and protect Manning adequately next season. And maybe Hillman will even hold onto the ball.

Like everyone else has already said, resigning DRC is priority #1. I prefer Chris Harris covering the slot... so we should be in the market looking for a #2 CB. Hoping that Bailey will take a pay cut and finally switch over to safety. He could actually be useful there. Getting more pass rushers to help out Von Miller next year would also be a smart move.

Timbathia
02-04-2014, 02:37 AM
Seen a lot of fan talk about moving Franklin to LG and starting Clark at RT. saves us money or high draft pick.

njx9
02-04-2014, 07:55 AM
i don't see champ as a viable safety. he's not a big enough hitter to play in the box, and he has less range than nick ferguson ever had. he's done and he needs to realize it.

njx9
02-04-2014, 01:16 PM
the more i think about it, the more i'd be ok with selling the farm and moving up into the top 5 for clowney. or moving up into the top 15 or whatever for dix or dennard. i was all on the BPA bandwagon, so maybe i'm just massively overreacting to one of the worst games i've ever seen a broncos team play.

Namy
02-04-2014, 03:56 PM
i don't see champ as a viable safety. he's not a big enough hitter to play in the box, and he has less range than nick ferguson ever had. he's done and he needs to realize it.

He's not a hitter, but maybe that's a good thing. He wraps up on tackles. I guess I just felt that, given Champ's vision and knowledge of the game, he could be a great center-fielder. But yeah, it's still a huge risk since he's never played the position before. I take it you'd rather rely on Rahim Moore?

the more i think about it, the more i'd be ok with selling the farm and moving up into the top 5 for clowney. or moving up into the top 15 or whatever for dix or dennard. i was all on the BPA bandwagon, so maybe i'm just massively overreacting to one of the worst games i've ever seen a broncos team play.

Interesting. I wouldn't be opposed either, but what would selling the farm look like? Does anyone know if there is a cap to the number of future 1st round picks that a team can trade?

njx9
02-04-2014, 04:46 PM
He's not a hitter, but maybe that's a good thing. He wraps up on tackles. I guess I just felt that, given Champ's vision and knowledge of the game, he could be a great center-fielder. But yeah, it's still a huge risk since he's never played the position before. I take it you'd rather rely on Rahim Moore?

no, i don't really trust moore either. but i don't see champ as an upgrade anywhere in our secondary at this point. which should tell you what i think of champ's ability at this point.

that said, it's clear we need to at least make an attempt at an upgrade.

Interesting. I wouldn't be opposed either, but what would selling the farm look like? Does anyone know if there is a cap to the number of future 1st round picks that a team can trade?

i dunno. can we work out a sign and trade with decker and some picks? probably not. but if there was a chance... i just want to dream about having some a+ talent on the defense who might not smoke his career away.

Diehard
02-07-2014, 03:34 AM
Champ is done. If we're paying him anything next season it's too much.

I don't think the draft is really relevant at this point. Sure, we'll grab some guys and slowly bring them along for the "life after Manning" that will inevitably come. But if they are serious about making another run, then the changes that matter will need to happen through FA.

njx9
02-17-2014, 08:26 AM
incarcerated bob (yeah, i know) is currently reporting that manning is about to retire.

Timbathia
02-18-2014, 07:31 PM
incarcerated bob (yeah, i know) is currently reporting that manning is about to retire.

He has been right before.

Hypothetically if Manning retires, who do you want to roll with at QB next season? Brock or veteran via trade/FA?

njx9
02-18-2014, 08:13 PM
He has been right before.

Hypothetically if Manning retires, who do you want to roll with at QB next season? Brock or veteran via trade/FA?

he's right like, 0.001% of the time, he just says a lot of things so he can crow on the tiny minority of things he gets right.

either way, dysert. there won't be a single veteran worth ****, none of the trade qbs are better than career back-ups, and osweiler just isn't that good.

njx9
02-26-2014, 10:24 AM
so... i really, really want a safety out of this draft. i really like 4 of them (clinton-dix, pryor, buchannon, ward), and one of them is bound to be available to us.

and i think we should consider trading von.

bigbluedefense
02-26-2014, 11:31 AM
When I read how easy it is for NFL players to pass a drug test, it just makes Von's failed tests that much more worrisome.

Dude basically didn't give a **** at all. AT ALL. It's almost like you have to go out of your way to fail a test and he did.

ZoneMaster67
02-26-2014, 07:51 PM
What do you guys think are the chances of D'Qwell Jackson signing with the Broncos?

Timbathia
02-26-2014, 09:04 PM
What do you guys think are the chances of D'Qwell Jackson signing with the Broncos?

It would have to be a possibility. He would be an upgrade, though not sure he quite has the speed or coverage ability we would ideally want. If we upgrade our safeties, I would like him in the middle a heck of a lot more.

Timbathia
02-26-2014, 09:09 PM
so... i really, really want a safety out of this draft. i really like 4 of them (clinton-dix, pryor, buchannon, ward), and one of them is bound to be available to us.

and i think we should consider trading von.

I cant imagine we would have a shot at the first two, and I think we need to address the safety position in free agency. Would be happy enough if we brought in a mid-price vet in FA and then drafted a potential starting safety in the early to mid rounds.

Trade Von for Revis?

njx9
02-26-2014, 09:59 PM
I cant imagine we would have a shot at the first two, and I think we need to address the safety position in free agency. Would be happy enough if we brought in a mid-price vet in FA and then drafted a potential starting safety in the early to mid rounds.

Trade Von for Revis?

i think addressing safety in FA means selling out for byrd. i don't think anyone else gives us any value, and i'm not of the opinion that rahim moore is a difference maker for us.

that said, if we don't improve at safety, we won't win the super bowl.

and i dunno on trading von... it's hard to say what the value would be. but he's a potentially huge liability going into a contract year when we'll also need to resign a ton of guys. it'll help if this is peyton's last year, i guess.

Dude basically didn't give a **** at all. AT ALL. It's almost like you have to go out of your way to fail a test and he did.

yup. it's worse that he got caught enough times to get suspended.

Timbathia
02-28-2014, 02:38 PM
i think addressing safety in FA means selling out for byrd. i don't think anyone else gives us any value, and i'm not of the opinion that rahim moore is a difference maker for us.

that said, if we don't improve at safety, we won't win the super bowl.

and i dunno on trading von... it's hard to say what the value would be. but he's a potentially huge liability going into a contract year when we'll also need to resign a ton of guys. it'll help if this is peyton's last year, i guess.

yup. it's worse that he got caught enough times to get suspended.

While Byrd would be fantastic, I imagine we will make a run at Delmas or Bethea, or someone else at that level. Seems more like an Elway kind of a move.

jCut
03-01-2014, 10:12 AM
Don't want any part of Delmas. Way too injury prone.

Diehard
03-02-2014, 06:45 PM

He's in Denver tonight and tomorrow, so we have a shot. It certainly would be nice to have a real MLB again.

UPDATE: Looks like it was a decent visit, with Manning and others showing up to meet with the veteran LB...

https://twitter.com/MikeKlis/status/440655479874666496

Timbathia
03-04-2014, 09:37 PM
Hester anyone? Has to be a better punt return option than anyone else we have.

njx9
03-07-2014, 12:00 PM
on the plus side, holliday is gone. so now someone else can fumble every other punt return.

kind of meh on hester. i think he'll cost way more than he's worth.

ZoneMaster67
03-07-2014, 12:13 PM
Looks like Denver missed out on Jackson. It's a shame, he could have been very helpful.

I believe Hester is passed it.

Timbathia
03-07-2014, 03:14 PM
on the plus side, holliday is gone. so now someone else can fumble every other punt return.

kind of meh on hester. i think he'll cost way more than he's worth.

What about Golden Tate? He is a great punt returner and knows how to run a crossing route. He isnt exactly a like for like replacement for Decker, but is perhaps a more useful weapon with his speed and yac skills.

njx9
03-08-2014, 06:24 PM
meh. honestly, i just don't like him. i have no good reason for it. i think he's massively overrated by the "seattle is the greatest team in nfl history at everything" club that's formed since most of seattle remembered they had a football team this year. but i'd be happier signing him for the massive discount he'd be over crying-about-PI decker.

njx9
03-11-2014, 05:11 PM
i'm pretty ok with tj ward. wish we had news on drc, though.

ZoneMaster67
03-11-2014, 05:33 PM
i'm pretty ok with tj ward. wish we had news on drc, though.

I was hoping for Byrd to play centerfield, but I'll take Ward if they can work out a way to get DRC back, and sign Alterraun Verner.

Timbathia
03-11-2014, 05:51 PM
I have to believe we will get one of the top corners, whether DRC returns or if not then one of the other ones. It is a huge need and there are quite a few decent FA corners available.

Ward is a great signing, considering how big an upgrade and the price we got him at.

The Jared Allen rumors are still pretty strong.

Interesting to see if (and who) we try and sign at MLB.

njx9
03-11-2014, 06:41 PM
I was hoping for Byrd to play centerfield, but I'll take Ward if they can work out a way to get DRC back, and sign Alterraun Verner.

i think they must think rahim is ok in center, as long as they can get a hitter in front of him. and apparently ward was vastly better in coverage last year.

I have to believe we will get one of the top corners, whether DRC returns or if not then one of the other ones. It is a huge need and there are quite a few decent FA corners available.

i'd hate to lose DRC, only to pay a one year wonder (verner) more. they really need to keep DRC *and* add a corner, if they want to make a run this year. i'd kill to get revis on a one year rental contract, get a super bowl with peyton, and be able to use the draft for life-after-peyton.

njx9
03-11-2014, 07:00 PM
meant to add, getting ward for cheaper than whitner was a major coup.

Timbathia
03-11-2014, 08:39 PM
so Marshall Faulk thinks Elway should get Ware, Peppers and Allen in a room together to convince them to take cap-friendly deals and all come to Denver to win a superbowl.

I could be down with that.

njx9
03-11-2014, 09:08 PM
we're currently the favorites for ware, so there's that. i dunno how he'd fit as a 43 DE, though.

Timbathia
03-11-2014, 10:23 PM
So apparently we are the big players in FA. Talib signed now too. I wonder how much space that is going to leave to go after Ware/Allen/Peppers, a LB and another cb????

njx9
03-11-2014, 10:26 PM
if the talib deal means we lose DRC, then we're ******* stupid and elway has actively made the team worse.

Timbathia
03-11-2014, 10:30 PM
if the talib deal means we lose DRC, then we're ******* stupid and elway has actively made the team worse.

they are kind of a wash for me.

njx9
03-11-2014, 10:40 PM
i don't think talib is that good. and he's utterly unreliable.

brat316
03-11-2014, 11:02 PM
I hope you guys plan on running some hybrid or O/U 43 looks. Miller and Ware not rushing together would be a waste.

Diehard
03-11-2014, 11:04 PM
He was an important piece for the Pats - that their hopes in the playoff game pretty much disintegrated when he was injured says a lot. My concern is more on the reliability side of things - when was the last time he played all 16 games in a season?

Anyway, the team has made serious moves to improve the secondary. I was concerned they wouldn't have the fortitude to even cut Champ, so I'm relatively pleased with how things have played out so far.

njx9
03-11-2014, 11:07 PM
and talks with DRC are over.

awesome.

so we've added a player who doesn't have a position in our defense, we've dramatically overpaid for a cb who hasn't played a full season in his career and is a known headcase, and let go of a guy who did play well in our system last year.

what's next? we release clady, draft kelvin benjamin in the first, and **** off in the playoffs for a 3rd straight year? terrible job by the front office so far, and they've only signed three players. it'll be really entertaining to see how much worse it can actually get.

ETA: he was important because they literally had the worst secondary i can remember seeing on an nfl team. he was the only part of it that wasn't terrible. he's still a step back, imo, without even getting into the durability issues already mentioned.

Diehard
03-11-2014, 11:15 PM
I hope you guys plan on running some hybrid or O/U 43 looks. Miller and Ware not rushing together would be a waste.

I think Ware will take the spot that we've been trying to fill since Doom left - weakside DE. Then we'll go back to running more 4-3 under with our base personnel. In the nickel, Ware and Miller would be the ends.

CT Bronco Fan
03-11-2014, 11:52 PM
I was pretty happy when I heard we got Talib, I thought it was on a 1 or 2 year deal though, not super thrilled about the deal though.

Verner got 26.5 over 4 which you compare to Talib's 57 over 6, crazy.

Timbathia
03-12-2014, 12:03 AM
I think today has been pretty good. Not convinced the Talib deal is great, but we are about even at CB from last year IMO. We are also upgraded significantly at ss on a seemingly good value deal.

If we sign Ware then we are also significantly upgraded at pass rush.

At this stage it appears our def will be at least noticeably improved from last year, with the possibility on being vastly improved depending on how these other FA signings pan out.

Timbathia
03-12-2014, 04:57 AM
Apparently we had 8 mil a year on the table for DRC.

njx9
03-12-2014, 07:28 AM
Apparently we had 8 mil a year on the table for DRC.

i'm slightly less annoyed then, that he left.

I think Ware will take the spot that we've been trying to fill since Doom left - weakside DE. Then we'll go back to running more 4-3 under with our base personnel. In the nickel, Ware and Miller would be the ends.

meh. i just don't think ware is a 43 DE. maybe i'm totally off base and he's played with his hand down enough that it won't be a weird transition, but it feels like drafting ayers for a 34 to me.

TheFinisher
03-12-2014, 09:54 AM
meh. i just don't think ware is a 43 DE. maybe i'm totally off base and he's played with his hand down enough that it won't be a weird transition, but it feels like drafting ayers for a 34 to me.

All depends on if he can stay healthy. He's had shoulder and elbow issues down the stretch the past 2 seasons, but at the start of this season he was healthy and looked like he hadn't lost a step. He's played a lot with his hand in the dirt throughout his career, although he's no spring chicken anymore and it may not be a bad idea to try and limit the amount of running down snaps he sees. The problem in Dallas was we never had any depth behind him, and he never came off the field... usually wore him down by the last month of the season. Keep him on a healthy snap count and he'll deliver for you consistently on passing downs.

Also never had anyone like Von Miller playing on the other side, which would be extremely intriguing to me... Ware stopped seeing 1 on 1s after his 2nd year.

He's not the best pass rusher in football anymore, but I wouldn't bat an eye if he produced a 15 sack season next year. The one thing about Ware is as he's gotten older he's always found new and creative ways to get the the QB, he's not one of those guys who solely relied on his speed off the edge which makes me believe he's got a lot left in the tank.

njx9
03-12-2014, 09:57 AM
All depends on if he can stay healthy. He's had shoulder and elbow issues down the stretch the past 2 seasons, but at the start of this season he was healthy and looked like he hadn't lost a step. He's played a lot with his hand in the dirt throughout his career, although he's no spring chicken anymore and it may not be a bad idea to try and limit the amount of running down snaps he sees. The problem in Dallas was we never had any depth behind him, and he never came off the field... usually wore him down by the last month of the season. Keep him on a healthy snap count and he'll deliver for you consistently on passing downs.

awesome, thanks man!

touchdownmaker
03-12-2014, 10:40 AM
Agreed, as a Giants fan I can attest that he plays with his hands in the dirt a lot. Also he is pretty stout against the run. The injuries are a concern, so weighing his against Allen in a tough decision, but injuries aside, Ware is the better player.

Is Phillips going to stay? How is your WR depth with Decker gone? Also, if you guys walk away with Verret or Fuller would you feel satisfied with your sceondary?

I know you guys were upset about losing DRC, but to me he is a guy that leaned heavily on his speed. He doesn't strike me as a very physical guy, and his technique wasnt all that great. I like the idea of you guys getting tougher and more physical. Its very much what John Fox's looks for in building a team.

Timbathia
03-12-2014, 02:44 PM
Agreed, as a Giants fan I can attest that he plays with his hands in the dirt a lot. Also he is pretty stout against the run. The injuries are a concern, so weighing his against Allen in a tough decision, but injuries aside, Ware is the better player.

Is Phillips going to stay? How is your WR depth with Decker gone? Also, if you guys walk away with Verret or Fuller would you feel satisfied with your sceondary?

I know you guys were upset about losing DRC, but to me he is a guy that leaned heavily on his speed. He doesn't strike me as a very physical guy, and his technique wasnt all that great. I like the idea of you guys getting tougher and more physical. Its very much what John Fox's looks for in building a team.

Phillips becomes less important with Ware, however, Ayers would actually be worth having again now to play running downs. If Wolfe is fully healthy though, the d line depth is actually okay.

A starting cb from the draft would be ideal as of right now.

Timbathia
03-12-2014, 03:19 PM
Interesting that apparently we were trying to sign Byrd originally as well (to pair up with Ward before the Talib deal).

10 mil left. Who do you think we sign next?

crossroads
03-12-2014, 03:35 PM
Interesting that apparently we were trying to sign Byrd originally as well (to pair up with Ward before the Talib deal).

10 mil left. Who do you think we sign next?

Well there was word earlier this morning that they were interested in both Beason and Daryl Smith to fill the middle linebacker void. Beason has since re-signed with the Giants, but Smith is still out there and has the Del Rio connection.

Other than finding a linebacker I think they'll let the rest of the big name free agents get signed then start working the mid-tier guys, and players looking for those one year "prove it" contracts. If Moreno and Ayers don't get any real enticing offers I could see them both back on cheap contracts, maybe roll the dice on a one year deal for someone like Hakeem Nicks to see if he can fill Deckers role. Maybe hope that DRC doesn't get what he's looking for on the open market and is willing to take a cheaper deal, or take a flyer on someone like Antonio Cromartie and hope they he can regain his health this season.

Namy
03-12-2014, 09:43 PM
I miss DRC, but I have to give Elway credit. These FA signings were not just about talent acquisition. It was about changing the attitude of our defense. I always thought Ware was one of the more intimidating players on defense, and Taliab and Ward are about as physical as you can get in the secondary.

Only thing that worries me is giving so much guaranteed money to players with injury histories. These moves are all about winning the super bowl THIS season.

njx9
03-12-2014, 10:33 PM
agreed on the 'this season' part. the future isn't really at play here.

also, keep in mind we get like, $3 million more in cap space when we cut dreesen's worthless ass and like $1 million for tamme (not sure if we'd keep him for depth).

Timbathia
03-12-2014, 10:57 PM
agreed on the 'this season' part. the future isn't really at play here.

also, keep in mind we get like, $3 million more in cap space when we cut dreesen's worthless ass and like $1 million for tamme (not sure if we'd keep him for depth).

I would keep Tamme. He is good depth, and can actually play in the slot all day when Welker gets a concussion (you know this will happen multiple times in the season).

Not sure how the cap situation will look next off-season, but they will have to be keeping in mind that DT, Von Miller and f*cking Julius need to be paid next year

Surprised the ILB talk is so quiet. Was expecting to see more about guys like Smith we should be kicking the tyres on.

ZoneMaster67
03-13-2014, 01:10 AM
I would keep Tamme. He is good depth, and can actually play in the slot all day when Welker gets a concussion (you know this will happen multiple times in the season).

Not sure how the cap situation will look next off-season, but they will have to be keeping in mind that DT, Von Miller and f*cking Julius need to be paid next year

Surprised the ILB talk is so quiet. Was expecting to see more about guys like Smith we should be kicking the tyres on.

I was kinda think Smith as well. Spikes may have been intriguing but with the signing of Ward, I don't see that happening.

I still hold out hope for Dan Connor to come to Denver and things just click, and he becomes the Mike, but that's very very unlikely.

njx9
03-13-2014, 03:37 PM
re: our cap situation:

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/you-got-served-day-1-of-free-agency

scottyboy
03-13-2014, 05:17 PM
so, tell me about JD Walton.

plz.

njx9
03-13-2014, 05:21 PM
he's been hurt. looked decent before that, i guess?

scottyboy
03-13-2014, 05:25 PM
he's been hurt. looked decent before that, i guess?

Hooray!

I think.

Ugh.

Better than 6 games and $6 mil of Baas, I guess

njx9
03-13-2014, 05:26 PM
no, i think he'll be competent, but i'd hedge on anything beyond that. i thought he was promising pre-injury, though.

scottyboy
03-13-2014, 05:28 PM
no, i think he'll be competent, but i'd hedge on anything beyond that. i thought he was promising pre-injury, though.

competent would make him our 2nd best OL last season. Now 3rd with the signing of Schwartz so trust me, I'll take it

Timbathia
03-13-2014, 06:18 PM
Yeah, Walton would have still been our starting center had he not got hurt. Not a pro-bowler, but will do his job.

Timbathia
03-13-2014, 06:25 PM
Its only talk at this stage, but I sure am loving reading the stuff Ware is saying about working with Von. If Ware still has something left in the tank and he can make Von better and more consistent like he thinks he can, then this could be fun to watch.

njx9
03-13-2014, 06:50 PM
Its only talk at this stage, but I sure am loving reading the stuff Ware is saying about working with Von. If Ware still has something left in the tank and he can make Von better and more consistent like he thinks he can, then this could be fun to watch.

all he needs to do is get him to quit taking pills and smoking for a few years.

Timbathia
03-13-2014, 08:47 PM
The Talib deal doesn't actually look too bad now. It looks like the guaranteed portion is simply against injury and not a signing bonus that will become dead money if we cut him in next 6 years. The money in yr 1 is big (12 mil), but years 2 and 3 are way less before going back up to 11 mil a season in yrs 4-6. It is a lot of money against the cap this year (which we have), but it wont hurt us much the following two years when we are trying to resign some guys. Good chance that it will really only be a 3 yr deal, unless he is playing other-worldly at the end of that.

Apparently we also offered the Talib money to Revis, but he wanted more.

Diehard
03-13-2014, 09:30 PM
The Talib deal doesn't actually look too bad now.

The structure of the Talib deal is excellent for the Broncos - the only fully guaranteed money is his 2014 salary, the other guarantees are solely against injury. So if he plays well, we can hold on to him for the long term... if he doesn't, he's a minimal cap hit as a cut.

The FO deserves credit for how they are putting these contracts together.

Namy
03-13-2014, 11:33 PM
re: our cap situation:

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/you-got-served-day-1-of-free-agency

Thanks for the article. Very reassuring.

Not sure how many instant starters are available in the draft for us, but I wouldn't mind trying to move up to draft CJ Mosely. I think he could make an immediate impact.

Timbathia
03-14-2014, 03:29 AM

Not sure how many instant starters are available in the draft for us, but I wouldn't mind trying to move up to draft CJ Mosely. I think he could make an immediate impact.

Prob too big a move. Borland may be a more likely draft option, especially if we move back into early second round. We still need a cb in draft tho, so dont like idea of going into draft without a mlb on the roster.

njx9
03-14-2014, 08:01 AM

agreed, i thought we were absolutely destroying ourselves for next year (like the 49ers a few years back), but i feel much better about the contracts given out so far.

Prob too big a move. Borland may be a more likely draft option, especially if we move back into early second round. We still need a cb in draft tho, so dont like idea of going into draft without a mlb on the roster.

i like christian jones later in the draft, too.

though i'm still not opposed at all to moving up as far as we need to, if we think there's a guy who can contribute next year.

Timbathia
03-14-2014, 02:35 PM
Daryl Smith gone. Running out of mlb options.

Diehard
03-14-2014, 06:08 PM
Daryl Smith gone. Running out of mlb options.

That's pretty much par for the course for this team. I'm not expecting much more than some combo of one of our young backup guys + a mid/late draft pick + some cheap vet to tide us over.

Diehard
03-16-2014, 04:47 AM
Sounds like Emmanuel Sanders will be joining our crop of new additions. Should be a nice weapon on offense with that speed, and hopefully will take over the KR duties.

Timbathia
03-16-2014, 03:24 PM
Sounds like Emmanuel Sanders will be joining our crop of new additions. Should be a nice weapon on offense with that speed, and hopefully will take over the KR duties.

Yeah, cautiously optimistic. His agent sounds like a douche though.

Diehard
03-16-2014, 07:09 PM
Yeah, cautiously optimistic. His agent sounds like a douche though.

Douche indeed but didn't drive a particularly hard bargain - 3 year / $15 mil contract with $6 mil guaranteed. Considering what Decker ended up getting and how Sanders is probably a better complement to our other guys in terms of skill set, it looks like a pretty good move.

njx9
03-16-2014, 11:26 PM
as long as sanders doesn't spend 90% of each game complaining about flags (for the first 3/4 of the season), i'm ok with that 'trade'.

touchdownmaker
03-19-2014, 04:58 PM
Do you guys have enough cap room to bring in CJ 2k?

njx9
03-19-2014, 05:05 PM
no, we won't be singing anyone else for more than the minimum. and i can't imagine wasting it on a bad running back.

Diehard
03-20-2014, 12:37 PM
no, we won't be singing anyone else for more than the minimum. and i can't imagine wasting it on a bad running back.

Yeah, I think RB is pretty much going to on the cheap / through the draft to provide us with a decent rotation.

Diehard
05-07-2014, 10:48 PM
Some buzz about us moving up in round 1:

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/464185144145100801

https://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks/status/464197386169253888

Highest I could see us going is 13. Probably in the 15-19 range. The 3 CBs (Dennard, Gilbert, Fuller) or an athletic LB (Mosley, Shazier) seem to be the likely targets. Darkhorse could be a DT, since we'll probably lose Vickerson and/or Pot Roast after this season.

Should be interesting to watch.

njx9
05-07-2014, 10:58 PM
i don't really want to move up for a DT, i think the value will be there in 2 or 3, but i'd kill to move up for dennard or mosley. i could be talked into being really excited by shazier, but right now i'm just kind of meh.

Punisher
05-08-2014, 12:34 PM
Call me crazy but I wouldn't mind landing bridgewater if he falls to 31.

njx9
05-08-2014, 03:37 PM
Call me crazy but I wouldn't mind landing bridgewater if he falls to 31.

Not crazy at all. I don't think they'd do it, and I'm a firm believer in Dysert, but I'd love that pick for value and for the future. I dint think nfl teams are dumb enough to let him fall that far, after they rewatch his game tape, though.

jCut
05-08-2014, 03:52 PM
Not crazy at all. I don't think they'd do it, and I'm a firm believer in Dysert, but I'd love that pick for value and for the future. I dint think nfl teams are dumb enough to let him fall that far, after they rewatch his game tape, though.

I agree, though Elway's ego is far too big to give up on The Big O.

Timbathia
05-08-2014, 11:11 PM
I dont mind the Roby pick. Corner is a need and he has skills.

Punisher
05-08-2014, 11:23 PM
Agreed.

Hopefully Roby can learn some ball skills from Chris Harris to add to his elite athletic ability. Hoping for interior line or MLB tomorrow.

njx9
05-09-2014, 07:00 AM
no interior line today. no need till round 4+. a linebacker and a WR, if i had to guess. or a WR and a RB, if i'm being pessimistic.

Dangermouse
05-09-2014, 07:46 AM
a LB in the 2nd and best player available in round 3.

Diehard
05-09-2014, 10:56 AM
Looking at the talent pool, DL-OL-WR seem to be positions where we are likely to get good value at the end of the 2nd.

I'd like to see a LB, but I'm not sure there is a great fit in round 2. Past history suggests they'll look for an undersized, quick, team-leader type later in the draft.

njx9
05-09-2014, 01:49 PM
Eh, I like borland at the end of the round. Don't disagree that that's probaby not where we'll look, though.

Diehard
05-09-2014, 05:14 PM
I like Borland, but I'm not sure the Broncos do. Their past behavior suggests they'd prefer someone to pick someone up later in the draft who has a little more athleticism and range.

njx9
05-09-2014, 06:58 PM
totally agree. i expect we'll take another nate irving look alike. hooray.

but then again, elway surprised me last year when he finally addressed DT, and he didn't fail horribly by taking a G in the first, so i have hope.

njx9
05-09-2014, 09:48 PM
there is no part of me that's impressed by latimer.

Punisher
05-09-2014, 10:15 PM
there is no part of me that's impressed by latimer.

Latimer will be a great player. I don't know if Denver needed to pick a WR that early but watching Latimer's tape you can tell his hands/size/speed combo make him a force.

Good player but I am not sure that pick couldn't have been used at another position.

Schoefield was the right position pick, but I am not sure on his talents being that he was a 3rd rounder.

njx9
05-09-2014, 10:35 PM
i'm ok with it. that's a decent spot to start getting good developmental depth.

Punisher
05-10-2014, 02:45 PM
I like the ST/OLB spot Barrow fills. I hope they're not planning him on moving inside. His instincts and pursuit at MLB on tape looks less than desirable.

I like our draft from a position stand point. Schofield is growing on me too after watching his Senior Bowl tape (highlights) and factoring in the Franklin to LG move.

Latimer is my favorite player drafted. I expect him to make flash plays for his first season, and later come to being our next Decker. (Not as smooth, but tougher)

Roby I'm okay with given the spot. I expect him to be lights out as a nickel, but I hope he can adjust to that outside corner spot which requires more one on one "ball spot" scenarios. Does he have punt return value?

I'd like to hear more of your guys opinion as I find our fan base on this forum to be more level headed. (On this forum being key ;) )

Punisher
05-10-2014, 06:06 PM
Big fan of the Corey Nelson pick. Instant special team contributor and really can fly to the football. For a 7th round pick he's a good risk with his potential in JDR's system.

njx9
05-10-2014, 06:24 PM
the 4th-7th round picks are normal 4th-7th round picks. no one i expect to make a special impact, but nothing i thought was horrible.

i don't like latimer, we'll see in the preseason if he changes my mind (nothing specific i can even point to, just gut feeling that he won't be a real contributer).

i'm happy with roby, solely knowing how many teams we tried to trade with to move up. we tried to make the big move for mosley (i assume), but no one was selling for what we wanted to pay. at least roby plays a position we needed a body at.

jCut
05-11-2014, 10:17 AM
Overall, I'm satisfied. They never reached for a ILB and I feel they got two premium talents (Roby, Latimer). I just hope these guys have the work ethic to match.

Diehard
05-14-2014, 02:26 PM
Here's an interesting bit:

http://www.coloradoan.com/story/sports/college/csu/football/2014/05/10/ex-csu-running-back-kapri-bibbs-picked-nfl-draft/8948673/

The Broncos, Barrett said, plan to use him much the way CSU did, as a pass-rushing outside linebacker/defensive end in their 3-4 defense.

"I see that as a plus right there," Barrett said. "They don't have a lot of depth at the position I play. They have a really good No. 1 (DeMarcus Ware), but that's about it."

We play a lot of different fronts, but it would certainly be interesting to see us put a little more emphasis on a 3-4 look. Von and Ware standing, the tweener guys we have like Wolfe and Malik Jackson at 5-tech, Pot Roast in the middle.

njx9
05-14-2014, 05:49 PM
i don't buy wolfe as a 34 DE. and really, i don't like von doing anything that doesn't involve rushing the qb. i guess if they want to call it a 34, that's fine, but it seems like a silly distinction at that point.

Diehard
05-15-2014, 01:10 AM
i don't buy wolfe as a 34 DE. and really, i don't like von doing anything that doesn't involve rushing the qb. i guess if they want to call it a 34, that's fine, but it seems like a silly distinction at that point.

Essentially it's a 5-2 - Von and Ware are mostly going to be crashing or rushing the passer. The two guys actually playing LB need to cover well to compensate for that.

Diehard
08-08-2014, 02:39 PM
That was a pretty decent showing for the first game back.

It seems we have a lot of depth in the front 7. I really liked the pressure both Ware and Quanterus Smith were able to generate. Some of the question marks I had about LB look like they might get answered by the solid play of Irving and McCray - hope they can keep that up. The back four weren't nearly as impressive other than Ward... we definitely don't have the same level of depth there.

I didn't have any doubts about our starting offense, but the surprise amongst the 2nd / 3rd stringers was the play of Juwann Thompson. He ran with power and decisiveness, which are things we could definitely use.

Timbathia
08-08-2014, 05:55 PM
All i took out of that game was that our rbs are probably better than I thought, and the d line may actually be genuine strength this year.

Diehard
08-17-2014, 07:03 PM
A good showing today, but I'd say the take home messages are similar to the last outing.

Positives: 1st team offense, defensive front 7 play, overall team depth

Negatives: Still too many mistakes / penalties by the DBs

Diehard
08-18-2014, 01:19 PM
Here's my take:

QB (3) - Manning, Osweiler, Dysert
RB (4) - Ball, Hillman, Anderson, Thompson
TE (4) - J.Thomas, Green, Tamme, Morrah
OT (4) - Clady, Clark, Justice, Schofield (also plays OG)
OG (2) - Vasquez, Franklin
C (2) - Ramirez, Montgomery
WR (6) - D.Thomas, Sanders, Welker, Latimore, Caldwell, Norwood

DE (4) - Ware, Wolfe, Jackson, Smith
DT (4) - Knighton, Williams, Austin, Unrein
LB (7) - Miller, Irving, Trevathan, McCray, Marshall, Johnson, Nelson
CB (6) - Talib, Harris, Roby, Webster, Bolden,T.Carter
S (4) - Ward, Moore, Q.Carter, Bruton

Specialists (3) - Prater, Colquitt, Brewer

Stashed on PS/IR/PUP - TE Robinson, LB Barrow, DT Vickerson, DE Anunike, OL Painter, RB Bibbs

The 7th LB is definitely a question mark - I can see the team moving Nelson to the PS and adding another DL instead. Similarly, I can see them only going 3-deep at either RB or TE (not both, though), but I'm not sure where they'd add the extra body. Maybe OL?

Diehard
09-01-2014, 01:20 PM
They ended up keeping 8 LBs, with the extra one as cover off for Trevathan. Our SLBs will play a lot of end in the nickle/dime looks, as the two LDEs are basically DT/DE tweeners who can kick inside on passing downs. Nice to see that both Barrow and Nelson played well enough to stick with the team... seems the team has a pretty good eye for later round LBs.

OL depth is a definite concern - Cornick, Garland and Schofield are a very green, untested group. I wouldn't be surprised if we fished a veteran OL out of the sea of cuts as insurance.

Paradis and Bibbs both to the practice squad. I thought Bibbs looked like the most fluid runner we had out there in preseason, but a) he was generally going against 2nd / 3rd string defenses and b) it's not the running that's a problem for rookies, its the blocking and passing game and Bibbs didn't have those things working at all.