PDA

View Full Version : Denver Broncos Discussion

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

njx9
01-04-2007, 10:33 PM
i buy bush falling past us actually, and in all honesty, i tend to agree about the RB. however, i think the needs on both lines are MUCH higher, as much as tatum's ineffectiveness (in whatever form, i know i'm generalizing) pained me all year.

as soon as lepsis went down, it became clear our line, well, needed some help. foster was pretty clearly (to me, at least) not capable of starting at RT for us. in any way. pears, who may be good some day, was just bad this year. somehow, somewhere, we have to address this position.

our d-line was terrible. dumervil looked grea,t but he just didn't seem to get there enough for me (due to playing time as well). we need someone to make plays on the d-line and we just didn't have it this year.

moving past the first day, i think DB depth is a need (but i think it would be stupid to try to fill it before round 3, and preferably not till round 5) as is LB depth. i was completely unimpressed by webster. WR depth would be nice, but i don't believe it's a dire need. if plummer's gone, clearly a back-up QB is also needed, and while i'd prefer a veteran, it might be cheaper to grab a 6th or 7th round guy to do it. and don't talk to me about bringing back BVP, the guy was terrible.

Chris
01-04-2007, 10:40 PM
Wide Receiver is a day one need.

Smith is on the verge of retirement.

What if Walker or Marshall go down?

We have three receivers; one of them who is destined for a walker at the end of this season. The rest are all returners.

It may not be a round one need; but it's first day.

If the Broncos decided to take a receiver in round one; I probably wouldn't be surprised or mad. It'd depend on who is there.

The defensive line needs a pass rusher.

We need a stud RB; if Lynch was somehow within the range of us getting him, I'd be so happy. Even if it means we trade our second or early third.

We need an offensive tackle for the future; at least a depth player.

We need a defensive back. The Broncos love Cox and Abdullah; and with Ferguson and Brandon being healthy next year; I don't think we'll spend more than a late-first day selection on a safety.

An additional receiver would be nice.

Four picks on the first day; five "pressing" needs.

One of them will have to wait; or two; if we double dip. However; these needs or some will be met in FA; I hope.

njx9
01-04-2007, 10:45 PM
or shanny will get someone to take plummer/bell for some obscene pick they're not worth.

EDIT: i think we can fill WR later in the draft or by picking up some older veteran guys. i just hate to think about spending a pick on a guy who will take a few years to develop (then again, marshall is a pretty solid counter example).

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
01-04-2007, 11:00 PM
I think we should go DT in the first, unless Lynch is there. A guy like Okoye or Tyler or especially Dorsey would stop us from getting gashed by good RBs, as well as provide solid pressure up the middle. I really like Dorsey, he could be the next Tommie Harris. 2nd round, maybe then we pull the trigger on a RB.

I was thinking with one of the thirds, maybe Marcus Thomas? He's a first round talent, but obviously he has character concerns. He's a good pass rusher, so if we pick up a run stopping DT he can also be used.

We could probably address safety in day 1 as well.

Or swindle Dan Snyder and Matt Millen by doing the trade I proposed in the draft forum, in the #2 pick thread, and the Triple X radio thread.

Chris
01-05-2007, 04:29 AM
or shanny will get someone to take plummer/bell for some obscene pick they're not worth.

EDIT: i think we can fill WR later in the draft or by picking up some older veteran guys. i just hate to think about spending a pick on a guy who will take a few years to develop (then again, marshall is a pretty solid counter example).

The receivers just needed a chance and with Rod on the verge of retirement people will get that chance.

Rod has been slowing down for about 3 years but has got by on name basis.

The Broncos are going to need someone when Rod retires so why not add a younger kid to the mix?

I'd like a proven FA too; but that'll either push Rod or Brandon back. A younger player learns from Javon and Rod; which should help and has the luxury of learning the system and making an impact on special teams, returning, etc. and getting worked into the game plan slowly.

It's worth a look. . .

njx9
01-05-2007, 06:40 AM
certainly good points. i need to look into the guys available a bit more. maybe i'm just a bit trigger shy after lelie.

what's the deal with hixon? any word on whether they like him or not? i don't think guys like devoe or adams are good for anything more than depth anymore, but i remember a lot of guys being high on him.

Chris
01-05-2007, 12:31 PM
Hixon's an ideal #4 receiver and would be great in four wide sets; but to think that he has much receiving potential outside that is rather foolish.

elway777
01-05-2007, 04:28 PM
What would you guys think of taking Brandon Mebane in the late 2nd to 3rd round range?

Jimmy
01-05-2007, 04:31 PM
okay, so assuming the top 15 are all gone, what player would you like to see denver take?

I would like to see us (the broncos) draft a right tackle, Defensive tackle or end, a running back, wide reciever, backup qb, and safety, we also need depth at corner. we have a lot of needs to fill. Having that said, realisticly, i would love to snatch Jake Long, because michigan runs zone blocking, and i dont like foster. Unfortunatly, he is staying in school. Are there any other players like long out there? Is it really true that erik pears played badly this year? i thought he was playing well...

I also want to adress the center position, i think once eslinger stays healthy, he could be the next nalen. (stretch) He was almost as good as nick mangold in college at Minny, and he has all the technique to be a great one. Oppinions?

do we need to replace either bells at running back? you could argue that if tatum had played more games he could have been a 1400 yard back.

Namy
01-05-2007, 04:50 PM
Good points by everyone.

I disagree w/WR being a day one pick. I'd rather pick up a veteran receiver thru FA than a WR thru the draft. OTOH, both lines have to be addressed immediately imo. Our running inconsistencies weren't ALL on the Bells... the OLine was pretty bad too (hopefully Lepsis' return will help greatly). Also, our DLine was a 3 quarter DLine. They were too exhausted in the fourth and could apply no pressure. Also, uncharacteristically they became too tired against the running game as well.

In addition, one thing someone hasn't mentioned is... punter. I said in the beginning that getting rid of Sauerbrun was a mistake. It turned out to be true. Ernster was HORRIBLE. He has one hell of a weak leg during kickoffs.

Also, with Elam getting old, would it be worth giving Crosby a look late second or early third?

Jimmy
01-05-2007, 05:27 PM
Good points by everyone.

I disagree w/WR being a day one pick. I'd rather pick up a veteran receiver thru FA than a WR thru the draft. OTOH, both lines have to be addressed immediately imo. Our running inconsistencies weren't ALL on the Bells... the OLine was pretty bad too (hopefully Lepsis' return will help greatly). Also, our DLine was a 3 quarter DLine. They were too exhausted in the fourth and could apply no pressure. Also, uncharacteristically they became too tired against the running game as well.

In addition, one thing someone hasn't mentioned is... punter. I said in the beginning that getting rid of Sauerbrun was a mistake. It turned out to be true. Ernster was HORRIBLE. He has one hell of a weak leg during kickoffs.

Also, with Elam getting old, would it be worth giving Crosby a look late second or early third?

i'd say yeah its worth it, we havent seen someone with his leg since sea-bass

njx9
01-05-2007, 05:33 PM
i LOVE mason. seriously. he was the only thing that kept my alma mater relevant this year. but i don't like the pick.

sauerbrun's still a FA, and i'm sure there are some other guys we could bring in during training camp, i just hate to piss away draft picks on kickers (otoh, if elam were really done, i'd have a different opinion).

on pears: he was terrible. granted he's young and can get better, but nothing in his play indicated to me that he could be a starting LT in the league.

tatum turned the ball over too much and i'm just not sold on mike. i think the fact that i even agree that rb should be a first round consideration speaks to the relative quality of our players right now. and just because i haven't said it yet, yes, i would really like to get lynch. if he's there... well, he's the only guy i wouldn't be pissed at denver for drafting over d-line (at least, who's projected to be in our range).

and i wasn't ever high on hixon, but from other opinions, he sounded like a major steal (odd given that he's been PS'ed all year).

3projectPAT6
01-05-2007, 08:53 PM
i really think reciever is pretty set. David kircus could be an excellent slot (shannahan has said hes the fastest WR on the team). And at this point i would actually perfer Rod to retire, because come next year Marshall is gonna be well deserving of the #2 spot, and a fourth string WR really isnt a first day need.

Chris
01-05-2007, 09:10 PM
What would you guys think of taking Brandon Mebane in the late 2nd to 3rd round range?

I have him rated higher than Scott; I'd love the pick.

bearsfan_51
01-05-2007, 09:11 PM

I have him rated higher than Scott; I'd love the pick.
Me too (see sig). I think his game would translate best as an under-tackle in a Tampa 2 style defense though.

Chris
01-05-2007, 09:12 PM
Drafting a wide receiver can help now and for the future; that's the whole point of using a day one selection on a kid. Contribute in our big packages, and hopefully can help on special teams.

Outside Walker; what proven young talent do we have? Really?

When Rod retires; do we look for a rookie then? No. You get ahead of the game and eliminate a future need right away; and it wouldn't be at the expense of other needs.

If you bring in a FA that's fine too; but I'd rather bring in a young kid.

Chris
01-05-2007, 09:14 PM
Me too (see sig). I think his game would translate best as an under-tackle in a Tampa 2 style defense though.

At this point; the Broncos just need a defensive tackle who can penetrate the pocket and Mebane has proven the ability to do that. I think our lineman are really inhibited by Coyer's defensive schemes; but they are still a weak crop overall.

Stats
01-05-2007, 11:25 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b6/Marshawn_Lynch_Vegas.jpg/433px-Marshawn_Lynch_Vegas.jpg

elway777
01-05-2007, 11:35 PM
Chris,NJX, do you think Elvis Dumervil will always be a strict pass rusher only type of player?

Im asking because nearly half of his tackles came off sacks, and from what I saw this year he really struggled to shed tackles and stop the run.

njx9
01-05-2007, 11:44 PM
*shrug* i'm not sure he'll ever be an every down player, but then, this was his rookie year, i'm certainly not ruling it out. personally, i like him a lot as a rotational guy, but i don't think i like him as a starter right now.

CT Bronco Fan
01-06-2007, 01:44 AM
Early Denver Mock

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/6126/p1368909customback38a27hc1.jpg

I know some people don't think WR is a day one need. But to be able to get a PR / KR and a solid WR in one guy, is hard to pass up on. I can only imagine Cutler's arm, and this guy on the same team. He would be a perfect fit for us.

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/5125/p1368909customback461ebtp7.jpg

We need a pass rush, this guy is good. enough said really. Although, its wishful thinking he will drop this far to be honest. but I can hope =)

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/3705/p1368909customback495b9yk9.jpg

Good DT, solid pick up for us here.

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/4917/p1368909customback4b55fyr5.jpg

Off the field issues causes him to drop this low. Talent wise he should be a first rounder, however despite character issues, our need at saftey is good enough to grab a first round talent with this pick.

Jimmy
01-06-2007, 06:21 AM
hey, great picks

i think that ginn would be the perfect fit and i hope shanahan adresses or KR needs although morgan picked up the slack the last 2 weeks. i dont think we would use a top 25 pick as a kick returner, thats just me.

also, shanahan hates off the field problems, and i garuntee with the williams issue, he stays away from any of it

njx9
01-06-2007, 07:37 AM
ginn won't be there, someone will fall in love with the athleticism and take him well before they should.

and didn't we learn from the last guy we drafted just becasue he was fast? assuming he plays football, i'd rather get samardzija there.

CT Bronco Fan
01-06-2007, 12:33 PM
ginn won't be there, someone will fall in love with the athleticism and take him well before they should.

and didn't we learn from the last guy we drafted just becasue he was fast? assuming he plays football, i'd rather get samardzija there.

yes but this fast guy can KR/PR 8)

CT Bronco Fan
01-06-2007, 12:33 PM
If you wish to watch his Funeral, its on live feed thru many tv stations in denver, here is the one i am using now

http://kcnc.dayport.com/viewer/viewerpage.php?Art_ID=26307&tf=video_player.tpl&PreloadContract_DefID=1&Contract_DefID=2&Category_ID=5

so sad someone has to go like he did, almost gone thru a whole box of kleenex already

Namy
01-06-2007, 04:13 PM

Hell NO!

Sorry, don't mean to sound blunt, but he's one of the most overrated receivers imo. He's not a good blocker and he's slow. He's not that great of a WR period... he just gets a lot of recognition for playing on ND and with Quinn. He's not horrible, but he's not a WR you want to pick up in the first round. He's gonna be someone like that Browns' WR (Jarikevicious [sp?]) at BEST.

If we get a RB, I petition for Bush over Lynch. Bush is a better RB when healthy and he will slip b/c he hasn't played this year. Also, Lynch I feel is a big beneficiary of Cal's offense. Look at the past two top picks from that school.... Aaron Rodgers and JJ Arrington... Lynch is better than Arrington but I still don't think he is THAT great.

M
01-06-2007, 04:56 PM
Antonio Pittman will likely come out early.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls06/columns/story?columnist=maisel_ivan&id=2719259&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos1
Small but fast (first day)

I am also interested in Tony Hunt for a big bruising back.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=152310
Not fast but efficient, hits the hole and falls forward (first day)

As we know Shanahan has never taken a RB in 1st round. Last year he stated that if he had not been able to draft up for Cutler, he would have taken Lawrence Maroney at the 15 spot (obviously a kid with a great future in the NFL that ran in a zone blocking scheme at Minn.). While we sit here and speculate we all saw that with the game on the line, or even in the 4th, Tatum was not in the lineup. That means that Shanahan has no faith in him! That means that unless you think he is going to go with Mike Bell as an opening day starter next year, something will be done. I still like Tatum as a change of pace back in the 2nd half. But that is all I see him as on this team. Think trade or draft but something has to happen here judging by Shanahan. Remember in the SF game we were inside the 5 with 1st and goal 3 times. That will eat at Shanahan this offseason.

I would take Bush in a heartbeat over Lynch (same speed 35 lbs of size to take the wear of a #1 in our system.

Jimmy
01-07-2007, 11:00 AM
J. Wilson will rise to an early 2nd talent, but i think if tdenver sees him there with that 3rd pick we will grab him, mayube even 2nd

plus he played with foxworth which cant hurt

i hate to say this is a replacement for darrent williams, because it isnt. i think that regardless of his death we would look at a cb. Wilson would also be a threat in situational dime packages as a pass rush

Chris
01-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Jamaal Anderson declared at DE; this class is sick.

We can't miss.

CT Bronco Fan
01-07-2007, 11:21 PM
There one free agent I really want

Alex Gibbs!

Heard ATL let him go with the Jim Mora firing. Our O-line sucked hardcore this year, Gibbs is the answer!!

Jimmy
01-08-2007, 06:43 AM

Alex Gibbs!

Heard ATL let him go with the Jim Mora firing. Our O-line sucked hardcore this year, Gibbs is the answer!!

that would be sick. i also want kubiak back.

njx9
01-08-2007, 08:44 AM

Hell NO!

Sorry, don't mean to sound blunt, but he's one of the most overrated receivers imo. He's not a good blocker and he's slow. He's not that great of a WR period... he just gets a lot of recognition for playing on ND and with Quinn. He's not horrible, but he's not a WR you want to pick up in the first round. He's gonna be someone like that Browns' WR (Jarikevicious [sp?]) at BEST.

and yet he's still a much more polished player than ginn is. i'll take a top notch route runner at WR over a guy who really, is just fast, any day of the week. *shrug* then again, i still hate the idea of a first round wr.

njx9
01-08-2007, 08:45 AM

Alex Gibbs!

i don't like it. atlanta's offensive line hasn't exactly been good lately, and gibbs schemes encourage a lack of pass blocking skill.

njx9
01-08-2007, 08:46 AM
J. Wilson will rise to an early 2nd talent, but i think if tdenver sees him there with that 3rd pick we will grab him, mayube even 2nd

i hate to say this is a replacement for darrent williams, because it isnt. i think that regardless of his death we would look at a cb. Wilson would also be a threat in situational dime packages as a pass rush

we have no business addressing DB that early. if we need warm bodies, there's free agency.

Jimmy
01-08-2007, 09:27 PM

we have no business addressing DB that early. if we need warm bodies, there's free agency.

still if a talent like wilson falls that far, you have to at least take a glance in his direction. You are right, we definatly have bigger needs on the line, and CB isnt a priority, but i think we can afford to use a first day pic to grab a player of his quality if he by chance fell that far. I would also say the same thing about a great linebacker like timmons, or everett, because even though its clearly our best position, depth never hurt. i guess im a fan of depth. me, i really care the most if wether or not we get a good lineman (OT or DT)

njx9
01-09-2007, 12:52 AM
i just don't believe that this team is in a position to spend first day picks on depth. we have too many glaring needs to draft solely with BPA in mind.

actually, let me be more clear: barring major FA acquisitions, i don't believe this team is in any position to spend high draft picks on depth. we need starting quality players at too many positions.

01-09-2007, 02:02 PM
Just saw on NFLN we fire Larry Coyer!

Namy
01-09-2007, 06:14 PM
http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/DEN/9918374

njx time to celebrate ya?

Chris
01-09-2007, 07:03 PM
Scott's going to have us drafting a corner; how cliche.

Jimmy
01-09-2007, 08:33 PM

why does he think that we need a round 1? whatever, its only hurting him

njx9
01-09-2007, 08:38 PM
http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/DEN/9918374

njx time to celebrate ya?

i'm already drunk (no, not seriously). :D

now, just don't promote from within. go hire someone who's demonstrated that the prevent defense is NOT a part of his playbook.

njx9
01-09-2007, 08:39 PM

:roll:

i see absolutely no reason for that pick given that the talent level, as far as i've seen, isn't even that high. then again, has scott gotten a single denver pick right in... ever?

Jimmy
01-09-2007, 09:30 PM
I think he may have picked DJ Williams. Dont hold me to it though. The forum wasnt around then

njx9
01-10-2007, 12:13 AM
i thought so too, but iirc, Chris pointed out last year that he had us taking Jackson.

njx9
01-10-2007, 12:13 AM
true story:

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/archive/2004/mock.html

further, scott has yet to correctly identify a denver first round pick. so whatever, let him give us a corner.

3projectPAT6
01-10-2007, 01:54 AM

i know that this is just an expression, but given the broncos situation it sounds pretty insensitive and offensive...

nobodyinparticular
01-10-2007, 01:58 AM

Just curious because I have been known to be out of the loop. But off the top of my head (which isn't very accurate this late, but I'm too lazy to check) I would think that you guys need at least a FS and a nickelback if Foxworth is expected to take Williams' place as starting CB oppposite Bailey. Again, this is just thinking off the top of my head, but I can't think of anyone else past Bailey and Foxworth at CB and I can't think of an in-house replacement for Lynch.

njx9
01-10-2007, 12:12 PM

Just curious because I have been known to be out of the loop. But off the top of my head (which isn't very accurate this late, but I'm too lazy to check) I would think that you guys need at least a FS and a nickelback if Foxworth is expected to take Williams' place as starting CB oppposite Bailey. Again, this is just thinking off the top of my head, but I can't think of anyone else past Bailey and Foxworth at CB and I can't think of an in-house replacement for Lynch.

Karl Paymah (drafted in the same class) would likely assume the nickel spot. Curome Cox is looking like Lynch's current heir apparent. safety is probably a need, but given the other holes, i just don't see it as a first round problem unless the first twenty picks are all defensive linemen and running backs.

njx9
01-10-2007, 12:13 PM

i know that this is just an expression, but given the broncos situation it sounds pretty insensitive and offensive...

:roll:

oh stop it.

boppool
01-10-2007, 12:52 PM
Weren't we supposed to get Redskins' first round choice along with their third for Lelie? My understanding was if Washington finished worse than us, which is the case, we were supposed to swap first round pick with their's. Does anyone know what happened? :shock:

njx9
01-10-2007, 01:17 PM
they were too terrible this season. apparently we both needed to make the playoffs for that to happen?

nobodyinparticular
01-10-2007, 08:31 PM

Karl Paymah (drafted in the same class) would likely assume the nickel spot. Curome Cox is looking like Lynch's current heir apparent. safety is probably a need, but given the other holes, i just don't see it as a first round problem unless the first twenty picks are all defensive linemen and running backs.

Oh yeah. Paymah. I knew you guys had taken 3 that year. Where on the defensive line are you looking to address?

Jimmy
01-10-2007, 09:42 PM

Oh yeah. Paymah. I knew you guys had taken 3 that year. Where on the defensive line are you looking to address?

we need a pass rush. the unfortunate part is that our best end. Ekuban or llang, debatable, get hardly enough pass rush. Our back up is the best pass rusher on the team (dumervil) We need a dominating pass rush either at DT, hard to find, or at the other end. Dumervil will eventually get a lot more time next year. he had a sack almost every other game

njx9
01-11-2007, 12:20 AM
we need a DT badly. warren was hit and miss (weird, eh?) and the rest of the crew was, as far as i could tell, watching from the sidelines.

we also need a good DE.

both should be able to collapse a pocket in some manner, or at least be talented enough in other ways to allow dumervil and ekuban to get more favorable matchups.

nobodyinparticular
01-11-2007, 02:03 AM
we need a DT badly. warren was hit and miss (weird, eh?) and the rest of the crew was, as far as i could tell, watching from the sidelines.

we also need a good DE.

both should be able to collapse a pocket in some manner, or at least be talented enough in other ways to allow dumervil and ekuban to get more favorable matchups.

How do you feel about somehow getting Alan Branch?

CT Bronco Fan
01-11-2007, 04:38 AM
JIM BATES!! WOOO HOO!!!

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nfl/article/0,2777,DRMN_23918_5270952,00.html

also very important thing to notice in the article near the bottom

Pete Rodriguez, whom Shanahan previously tried to hire as defensive coordinator and was fired earlier this month by the Jacksonville Jaguars, could be hired to be the team’s special teams coach.

Rodriguez is considered one of the best special-teams coaches in the league.

How great would it be to get a good special teams coach in Denver.

Now all we need is a DL coach, and Alex Gibbs!

Jimmy
01-11-2007, 05:53 AM
JIM BATES!! WOOO HOO!!!

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nfl/article/0,2777,DRMN_23918_5270952,00.html

also very important thing to notice in the article near the bottom

Pete Rodriguez, whom Shanahan previously tried to hire as defensive coordinator and was fired earlier this month by the Jacksonville Jaguars, could be hired to be the team’s special teams coach.

Rodriguez is considered one of the best special-teams coaches in the league.

How great would it be to get a good special teams coach in Denver.

Now all we need is a DL coach, and Alex Gibbs!

its nice that we are actually using money on coaches ...

elway777
01-11-2007, 08:08 AM

we also need a good DE.

How do you feel about somehow getting Alan Branch?

Personally I would love the move getting Branch, even if he may not be the pass rusher we need. I doubt though he'll some how fall from where he's predicted to be in the draft though(10-15) range, to 21.

njx9
01-11-2007, 09:00 AM
i would kill to get branch, although i'm honestly more and more happy with the idea of getting okoye if he falls. he'd be a good rotational guy his rookie year, but i think he'd grow into what we need.

also, any word on whether bates plans to waste champ bailey in his old cover 2 schemes?

CT Bronco Fan
01-11-2007, 11:48 AM
i would kill to get branch, although i'm honestly more and more happy with the idea of getting okoye if he falls. he'd be a good rotational guy his rookie year, but i think he'd grow into what we need.

also, any word on whether bates plans to waste champ bailey in his old cover 2 schemes?

I thought bates was a bump and run, blitz guy. not exactly sure though

Jimmy
01-11-2007, 06:35 PM
i swear to god, if we run any more zone than this year :evil:

njx9
01-11-2007, 11:21 PM

I thought bates was a bump and run, blitz guy. not exactly sure though

that's not the rumor i've heard, although, like i said, i've been hearing rumors, nothing substantiated so far.

njx9
01-11-2007, 11:45 PM
MOVED FROM ANOTHER DISCUSSION

- for the sole sake of getting this trash out of a different thread (the team needs thread on the Mock Drafts board, if you want history, if not, skip down a few lines to his reasoning as to why denver WILL [his words] draft a CB in the first this year), and also because i want to know what you guys think:

like it or not, i'm going to quote this garbage because i'm sick of arguing it. i feel like i'm back to last year, telling people why denver wouldn't draft a TE in the first round. boy was i wrong then, too. :roll:

You seem pretty heated and want to tell everyone their stupid.

who have i called stupid? i've called the pick stupid. i've called the reasoning asinine. i have not called a single person stupid for having a bad opinion.

no I dont want to go into the broncos forum because I'm not a fan of the Broncos and you would simply ruin that one the same as you have this one saying im stupid and I'm sure as broncos fans you know for a fact a bigger area of need because you watch EVERY GAME and tape it and run through film with the team. (/sarcasm)

because you know you're wrong and that everyone who actually knows something about the team would tell you so. you think that hiding out in this thread makes you safe. speaking of ruining threads, you were the guy who started this argument in here. now you don't want to finish it? cute.

Why should people explain themselves to you more than they already have, if they dont want to

because saying "you don't know anything you're just a guy on a message board and mel kiper is never wrong except when he is and the mock he just put up on his site is exactly what's going to happen and isn't generated to make him money but i'm right because i know absoltuely nothing about your team but i'm making a statement of fact and i'm right" is pathetic. because if you're going to pick a fight (remember, YOU picked the fight) you should at least have the balls to defend it by, you know, responding to arguments the other person makes. you just keep saying that we need a CB because we only have 3 on the roster and that the only logical way to get one is to take one in the first.

-darrent williams died, yes oh my god again! blow a gasket (as the # 2 CB for the Broncos he leaves the position in a much worse situation than last season; and if the pass coverage disapates on one side and the pass rush is better will that make the D better at all? NO. it will make teams throw (not at bailey) and run on you.)

*shakes head* so because he was our #2, we clearly have no one on the team capable of filling that spot? is that what you're saying? so when the bills inevitably lose clements, they'll obviously be drafting a CB in the first right? just like the patriots will when they lose samuel? just like the packers did when they lost mckenzie? should i keep going here, or have you finally realized that it is not undeniable truth that a team has to fill it's #2 corner spot with a 1st round draft pick when said player leaves the team for whatever reason?

fine, i'll keep going. the patriots lost ty law - they did NOT draft a CB in the first round. the year the redskins lost bailey? they drafted a safety.

clearly a team that loses its #1/#2 CB always drafts a replacement in the first round that next draft. :roll:

-Foxworth who was your nickelback was not good at #2 in 2005

what in the hell gave you that idea? and how is his ROOKIE SEASON relevant to his THIRD SEASON in the league?

so bringing in another CB given THE BRONCOS POSITION IN THE DRAFT would help bolster the Secondary.

so would bringing one in in the 2nd round, especially with what looks to me like a weak DB class. actually, it sounds like a much BETTER idea to draft a guy at closer to value in the second, and to take a defensive lineman, a position WE ACTUALLY NEED in the first, where there appears to be excellent value at this point in the offseason. are you paying attention? i'm getting really sick of repeating what the broncos needs are.

up until Williams died this was not the problem the Broncos had to fix but they should get the secondary back to where it was talentwise and then address the Defensive issues of 2006 as their entire draft save 1 maybe 2 picks could be taken on defense.

you prove again that you know next to nothing about the team. props. denver needs, with it's seven picks, DT/DE, RB, WR, LT/RT, S, CB. at least three picks should be spent on the offense.

-DL is a very deep position in this years draft.

so we should settle for more second tier players when what we've needed for years is a top tier guy and moreso when we realistically just need DEPTH at CB?

Don't try and quote the sh!t out of me.

whoops. :roll: i forgot that i'm here to NOT retort to fights other people picked.

i dont want to hear it because this is the last time I'm saying anything to you.

yippee? it's probably better for you that you don't.

I saw McShay's draft and posted the pick to prove you shouldn't throw around terms like stupid or knowing. When the Broncos draft a CB will you ask for a detailed explination from them?

when? you sound so sure. :lol: now you're trying to pretend you're kiper? cute role change after getting pissed because you thought i was. if the broncos drafted a CB in the first, i would call them stupid. it wouldn't be the first time, it likely won't be the last. and it wouldn't improve the team nearly as much as any number of other positions.

but it's cool. the great thing about this country is that you can believe whatever you want to, no matter how wrong you are.

Chris
01-12-2007, 06:47 PM
that kid a moron

49ersfan_87
01-12-2007, 06:52 PM
njx, about your comment about not drafting a TE. I thought they were? I read a rumor that they wanted to trade up for vernon davis.

Either way false or true, the broncos still ended up with a great TE in scheffler.

njx9
01-12-2007, 07:04 PM
i never saw anything verifiable in that rumor.

and yeah, i like scheff, we just didn't need to take marcedes lewis or leonard bloody pope in the first round. you have no idea (or maybe you do if you were lurking) how many times i had to argue with people about it.

M
01-12-2007, 11:36 PM
"Consider the source."

Let it go. At some point, you have to quit arguing with gramatically challenged individuals (I did not make an ebonics comment as that would be insensitive) and just let them sound off. Who cares, most people that are involved on this site, know who has an opinion that is worth their time to read, and who has an opinion that is worth skipping. Their opinion does not matter and we all know it so let it go.

As far as the draft, I look at Shanahan and while we have many needs, and little depth in few positions, I go back to the fact that he would not put in his starting running back in the 4th quarter. What does that make us think about the confidence the coach has in the starting RB. Do you really think we will go into the season with Mike Bell as our starter. Something has to give - that is my observation. I am not saying that we will draft a RB in 1st round, but something has to give.

Obviously both Offensive and Defensive line have to make changes, how many years have we said that to no avail, but I believe that RB is a priority to the coaching staff, and thus worth watching.

CT Bronco Fan
01-13-2007, 03:14 AM
i never saw anything verifiable in that rumor.

and yeah, i like scheff, we just didn't need to take marcedes lewis or leonard bloody pope in the first round. you have no idea (or maybe you do if you were lurking) how many times i had to argue with people about it.

Just about every thread njx9 I would see you saying something about the TE being a bad pick last year. It seems this year we're gonna have to complain in every thread about them giving us a cornerback. It really doesn't make sense to draft a nickleback in the first round.

Jimmy
01-13-2007, 01:12 PM
was anyone aware that we picked up teyo johnson???

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=338&storyID=6488

and too bad about eslinger, i still see him as the future at that center spot

elway777
01-13-2007, 01:13 PM
I think we should just look into FA for CB depth.I would love us getting Asante Samuel.

Jimmy
01-13-2007, 01:50 PM
Asante Samuel.

Any player that chooses to play opposite bailey is commiting career suicide. with the numbers asante put up this year, it would be a bad move for him. He has no reason to come here.. he put up 10 INTs, and he wants #1 corner money. if he wants to come here, sweet, but we would have to pay him a lot, and he would get picked on a lot more, and his play would diminish with bailey on the other side.

Id love to have him.. it just wouldnt be a good move on his part

Shiver
01-14-2007, 12:21 AM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nfl/article/0,2777,DRMN_23918_5278527,00.html

The Broncos and Johnson have agreed in principle and Johnson could be formally announced as soon as Monday as a new Broncos defensive line coach.

Good hire.

Falcons defense end Patrick Kerney, who will be an unrestricted free agent in March, has said publicly the Falcons retaining Johnson would be one of the factors he would consider before re-signing in Atlanta.

The Broncos hiring Johnson could give them a chance in free agency at Kerney at what is a need position for the team.

That could be an even bigger hire, if he gets Kerney to follow him.

njx9
01-14-2007, 04:28 AM
Let it go. At some point, you have to quit arguing with gramatically challenged individuals (I did not make an ebonics comment as that would be insensitive) and just let them sound off. Who cares, most people that are involved on this site, know who has an opinion that is worth their time to read, and who has an opinion that is worth skipping. Their opinion does not matter and we all know it so let it go.

taking the high road? hmmm... i'll have to consider it. it would be breaking with habit. :|

njx9
01-14-2007, 04:29 AM
Falcons defense end Patrick Kerney, who will be an unrestricted free agent in March, has said publicly the Falcons retaining Johnson would be one of the factors he would consider before re-signing in Atlanta.

The Broncos hiring Johnson could give them a chance in free agency at Kerney at what is a need position for the team.

wow, great catch. tell me about kerney? is he still worth the money it would take to sign him? i don't recall hearing you guys talk about him much, but i may have just skimmed past it.

njx9
01-14-2007, 04:32 AM
Asante Samuel.

Any player that chooses to play opposite bailey is commiting career suicide. with the numbers asante put up this year, it would be a bad move for him. He has no reason to come here.. he put up 10 INTs, and he wants #1 corner money. if he wants to come here, sweet, but we would have to pay him a lot, and he would get picked on a lot more, and his play would diminish with bailey on the other side.

asante samuel will end up costing far more than we can really pay a #2 corner. we should be looking to target some of the second tier guys, randall gay, nick harper, whoever we can get for a lower contract. i believe that foxworth can be a solid #2 and, honestly, i'd like to see paymah get a chance at nickel. i sort of believe in grabbing a 6th round guy (assuming there is not outstanding value at the position in the 3rd or 5th round) and signing a couple of UDFAs to fight it out in training camp.

Jimmy
01-14-2007, 09:22 AM
Asante Samuel.

asante samuel will end up costing far more than we can really pay a #2 corner. we should be looking to target some of the second tier guys, randall cool, nick harper, whoever we can get for a lower contract. i believe that foxworth can be a solid #2 and, honestly, i'd like to see paymah get a chance at nickel. i sort of believe in grabbing a 6th round guy (assuming there is not outstanding value at the position in the 3rd or 5th round) and signing a couple of UDFAs to fight it out in training camp.

personally i'd love a shot at a guy like ike walt harris, or at least someone who plays like him... i miss lenny walls, some may not want him back in dever, but you cant deny the fact that with him being that big, we have two advantages at the CB spot

Shiver
01-14-2007, 05:23 PM

wow, great catch. tell me about kerney? is he still worth the money it would take to sign him? i don't recall hearing you guys talk about him much, but i may have just skimmed past it.

He is a classic high motor, relentless worker. Our Atlanta 49ers' coaching staff, compared his work ethic to Jerry Rice. He has been very durable, well, at least until this year. This year he was hurt all year. He is also aging, just turned thirty. He is two years removed from a thirteen sack, pro bowl season.

njx9
01-14-2007, 10:48 PM
word... i like it. and with injury history he might be a bit cheaper...

M
01-14-2007, 10:52 PM
Any chance we do something like draft a kicker (think Crosby from CU), as we know Elam is not getting any younger? He also kicks off on a regular basis.

Namy
01-14-2007, 10:58 PM
Any chance we do something like draft a kicker (think Crosby from CU), as we know Elam is not getting any younger? He also kicks off on a regular basis.
I would love for him to come... espeically to stay up in altitude. Problem is that this guy is not going past the second round. With all of our needs, do we really want to use that high of a pick on him?

M
01-14-2007, 11:52 PM
With the average NFL game being decided by under 3 points, can you afford not to take him?

njx9
01-15-2007, 12:32 AM
what has jason elam done to show that he's not capable of being our kicker for another two years? granted he won't hit another 63 yarder, but realistically, who will?

it would be a monumental mistake to take crosby for this team. if i thought he'd be there in the 7th i'd love it, but we have far bigger needs that will be problems in the next two years to take a back-up kicker.

now, were he a *punter* it might be worth discussing.

Jimmy
01-15-2007, 01:26 PM
With the average NFL game being decided by under 3 points, can you afford not to take him?

with elam capable of hitting almost automatic with a good snap from under 45 yards , i'd say you can wait. I would rather wait for Sam Swank to come out in 2 years. Besides, I think Crosby's leg is overrated. His career long (in colorado, mind you, is 60.) thats no better than 58 any other place. Plus he kicks like 22.2% from past 50 (he went 2-9) his accuracy is overrated, he has gone down in productivity every year and accuracy since his sophmore year, while mind you hasn't had that many more 50 yard attempts this year.

M
01-15-2007, 02:40 PM
good points re: kicker!

I still go back to RB and Safety - I know our needs are for both sides of the line but I am not certain that Shanahan will not take a RB in 1st or 2nd round - depending upon who is available obviously!

Namy
01-15-2007, 03:50 PM

with elam capable of hitting almost automatic with a good snap from under 45 yards , i'd say you can wait. I would rather wait for Sam Swank to come out in 2 years. Besides, I think Crosby's leg is overrated. His career long (in colorado, mind you, is 60.) thats no better than 58 any other place. Plus he kicks like 22.2% from past 50 (he went 2-9) his accuracy is overrated, he has gone down in productivity every year and accuracy since his sophmore year, while mind you hasn't had that many more 50 yard attempts this year.
He's kicked it from 58 at miami... that's pretty impressive. His accuracy isn't as great, but it's only the leg that really counts. Accuracy you can fix... sheer leg power is something you can't. Btw, ppl say that he has hit 70+ yarders in practice. ANYWAY. He's still to expensive to get in the early rounds. We have greater needs. If he fell to round 4 tho, I would definitely take him as he would be an absolute steal there, but he's not going past the 2nd.. mark my words.

M
01-16-2007, 12:50 AM
I have seen him kick from 70 yards during pregame and some of the CU players tell me that he makes 2 of 5 from that distance with regularity at the end of practice. He also kicks into the endzone on kickoff from NFL distance - something we do not do with any consistency.

He will be gone by 2nd round and someone will have a kicker for 10 years like denver with Elam.

So people what do we do in the first 3 rounds - I still think Bowlen will use the Darrent Williams death to petition for a compensatory pick at end of 3rd round - so what do we do?

As far as RB's I think Peterson and Lynch will obviously be gone but Bush and Antonio Pittman (one) will be available however, Adam Carriker and Amobi Okoye (and the DE from Hawaii whose name excapes me at the moment) for defense or, Tony Ugoh, Levi Brown or Marshal Yanda one of them will be available for offense if you think line is our first round choice? Thoughts anyone?

A4Qxxx
01-16-2007, 04:21 PM
Just started reading up bio's on positions the Broncos are going to need. And while a stud RB sounds great, I don't see one without a injury question being there at 21. And I don't hate Mike Bell. Think he played well as a rookie and really runs hard and could be an Olandis Gary type for us once next year.

Therefore, I really like Victor Abiamiri-DE or Amobi Okoye-DT in the first.
One, I think at least one of the two will be there, and two they get after the QB.
Victor a pass rush guy, but unlike Elvis he has the size to be an everydown player, where a lot of other DE's rated late first rounders seem to have size "tweener" or "specialist" issues.
Amobi Okoye is the double team guy Warren is when he feels like it. And creates havoc collapsing the pocket on passing downs.

I am not a fan of this specialist garbage. Bring in the pass rush specialist on 3rd down to watch a draw go for 15 yards, and bring in the run stoppers on first down to watch Manning sit in the pocket for 6 seconds? I want a do it all every down, and leave Elvis as are lone specialist.

Also, I like what breifly saw of Kolby Smith-RB. And MAN I love what I read. Good size and frame, explodes through the hole, tough, physical runs hard, lacks top speed, didn't carry the load in college... does this not sound a little like the Terrell Davis bio when he was coming out? Plus he can block and catch. I like it. When I am GM, I am taking DE/DT early and snagging this guy in the 3rd / 4th round.

Plus anyone know about the Safety on Notre Dame who also returns punts? Is he just a junior? Didn't see his name anywhere...

njx9
01-16-2007, 04:43 PM
^^^ zbikowski? wouldn't touch him with oakland's ten foot pole. dude is, as far as i've seen, a liability in pass coverage and isn't really all that great in run support. regardless, last i hear he hadn't declared.

01-16-2007, 04:52 PM
^^^ zbikowski? wouldn't touch him with oakland's ten foot pole. dude is, as far as i've seen, a liability in pass coverage and isn't really all that great in run support. regardless, last i hear he hadn't declared.

No, he stayed.

I think we should go DL in the first two rounds, DT, then DE, unless some great DE prospect falls to us.

boppool
01-16-2007, 06:12 PM
I really don't know about our facination with Rick Dennison. Other than the fact that he's a former player, he's done nothing to prove me that he's been doing good enough job to continue making promotions almost every year(Special team coach - Offensive Line coach - Offensive Coordinator).

I understand Heimerdinger is still in charge of offence and calling plays, but I'd like someone younger that we can groom for the future(like, Kubiak) who can eventually replace Shanahan, when he decides to retire.

njx9
01-16-2007, 08:10 PM
i thought dennison did a good job with our special teams, and that the year he moved to offensive line was one of our first big problems years (iirc, this also coincided with the loss of burns). i could be wrong, statistically.

3projectPAT6
01-16-2007, 08:45 PM
I was looking at scotts mock draft, and read the bio on quintin moses, and it scares me to death, the last thing we need is ANOTHER extremly talented but underachieving defensive linemen. We already have Brown, Ekuban, Lang, and Warren.

But as i continued i noticed jarvas Moss, and remember him blocking something like 2 or 3 field goals in one game!!!

Could anyone tell me if he would be a good fit here in denver? or was that one game a fluke...

Jimmy
01-16-2007, 08:53 PM
Here's my view updated view. Lynch has 2-3 years left in him, i am 75% sure he has expressed he isnt losing any fire or any of his game. ferguson, our other safety, is a liability, and we have sam brandon and curome cox as well as hamza abdullah. i think shanahan (unfortuatly gets attached to players like nick) wants to keep ferguson and cox and abdullah and battle them for the job (and possibly a FA acqusition). But obviously this is a hunch that some of you may not have, so it might be tough to understand. I think that the most sensible pick right now would be at DT.. Lang and Ekuban, and dumervil are average players, so i think shanahan ends up adressing our Amobi Okoye please

01-16-2007, 09:18 PM
I was looking at scotts mock draft, and read the bio on quintin moses, and it scares me to death, the last thing we need is ANOTHER extremly talented but underachieving defensive linemen. We already have Brown, Ekuban, Lang, and Warren.

But as i continued i noticed jarvas Moss, and remember him blocking something like 2 or 3 field goals in one game!!!

Could anyone tell me if he would be a good fit here in denver? or was that one game a fluke...

Don't worry, it's only a matter of time till we get Kamerion Wimbley :lol:

Jarvis dominated the NC game, he looks good. Only problem:There doesn't seem to be as many good DT prospects in the mid-late second, as there will be DE prospects. I think a combo of Tyler/Okoye and Crowder/other 2nd round DE, is better than Moss/Woodley/Moses and Harrell or Brown. Maybe if we can trade into early 2nd, one of the first round caliber DTs will be there.

Jimmy
01-16-2007, 09:47 PM
old news dont know if it had been brought up
The Broncos have signed the following street free agents to contracts for 2007:

QB Darrell *******
FB Troy Fleming
TE Teyo Johnson
OT Jacob Rogers
DE Carlos Hall
S Lamont Reid
P Eddie Johnson

njx9
01-16-2007, 09:59 PM
ha, *******'s name is still bleeped.

Jimmy
01-16-2007, 10:00 PM
ha, *******'s name is still bleeped.

what ever happened to good ole shaun

M
01-16-2007, 10:20 PM
Denver Broncos tight ends coach Tim Brewster will become the new head coach at Minnesota, replacing the fired Glen Mason.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2732273

I would have like a little more continuity for Scheffler.

I agree that DE has more depth (especially outside of first round) than DT however, realize that DT is stastically the biggest bust position.

I go back to the San Fran game when Shanahan would not put Tatum in, and only played Mike Bell. Do you really think that Shanahan will go into the season with Mike as our starter - I do not.

I think Shanahan sees what Maroney is doing in NE and says "what if I had not been able to draft up for Cutler" . . . ? And then he looks at who NE is playing and sees Addai, another rookie RB.

I think he suprises us all with a stud RB in round 1 and then addresses DE with 2nd round, depending upon what is available when he picks.

Namy
01-16-2007, 11:36 PM
Denver Broncos tight ends coach Tim Brewster will become the new head coach at Minnesota, replacing the fired Glen Mason.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2732273

I would have like a little more continuity for Scheffler.

I agree that DE has more depth (especially outside of first round) than DT however, realize that DT is stastically the biggest bust position.

I go back to the San Fran game when Shanahan would not put Tatum in, and only played Mike Bell. Do you really think that Shanahan will go into the season with Mike as our starter - I do not.

I think Shanahan sees what Maroney is doing in NE and says "what if I had not been able to draft up for Cutler" . . . ? And then he looks at who NE is playing and sees Addai, another rookie RB.

I think he suprises us all with a stud RB in round 1 and then addresses DE with 2nd round, depending upon what is available when he picks.
I disagree. I think Shanny likes Mike Bell and so do I. He's had some consistency problems, but hey, he was a rookie after all. He's played great in several games, and as for Tatum, even w/injuries and inconsistencies, he rushed for over 1000 yards. RB is not the most PRESSING issue. THen again, Shanny doesn't like drafting DLine in the first round so you may be right altho I hate the idea.

If he really wants a stud RB who would fit well w/us, wait for next year to get either Slaton or McFadden.

njx9
01-16-2007, 11:59 PM
i agree there. so far this year's running back class doesn't really do it for me. i've been persuaded a bit on lynch, but it just doesn't scream great to me.

then again, tatum needs to be gone. he's effective as a situational guy, but now we can't count on him to hang onto the ball in those situations. screw it.

i also am not a big fan of mike as a starter. he never wowed me. i think someone said olandis gary here, and while gary did run for 1100ish yards, is that really a great contribution to our offense? 70 yards per game just isn't really getting it done. *shrug*

seems like we're sort of screwed either way. i guess in the end, if we can't grab one of the top two and no one else is seriously impressive in the near future, i'd just as soon address a bunch of these other needs this year, then use picks asammo next year to make a big jump for a stud (like the aforementioned mcfadden and slaton).

njx9
01-17-2007, 04:25 PM
bump

bsaza2358
01-17-2007, 04:38 PM
i agree there. so far this year's running back class doesn't really do it for me. i've been persuaded a bit on lynch, but it just doesn't scream great to me.

then again, tatum needs to be gone. he's effective as a situational guy, but now we can't count on him to hang onto the ball in those situations. screw it.

i also am not a big fan of mike as a starter. he never wowed me. i think someone said olandis gary here, and while gary did run for 1100ish yards, is that really a great contribution to our offense? 70 yards per game just isn't really getting it done. *shrug*

seems like we're sort of screwed either way. i guess in the end, if we can't grab one of the top two and no one else is seriously impressive in the near future, i'd just as soon address a bunch of these other needs this year, then use picks asammo next year to make a big jump for a stud (like the aforementioned mcfadden and slaton).

I don't think Denver should be picking a RB in the first 2 rounds, but some sort of prospect in the 3rd or later could be a good idea. The Bell/Bell rotation is not terrible, and it will get you by. If Cutler can generate a legit air attack, it will do a lot for the running game. There are no obvious Denver-style RB's in this draft, but you should always draft at least 1 to keep the stable fresh.

njx9
01-17-2007, 06:23 PM
i more or less agree. i really like cobbs and wish he'd gotten a chance.

meh. in any other year, i'd hope for a move up to grab AD (assuming we get another 3rd in compensatory, we'd have the ammo). but there are just so many other needs right now.

it seems odd to be despondent about a team that should really compete for the playoffs next year.

M
01-18-2007, 01:10 AM
Can anyone recall a year in which we had a new starter almost every week under Shanahan that was not due to injury. The answer is never.

I am not saying what I think we need to address a RB (we need to draft O and D line and everyone know I want Lynch gone and a safety picked in first 2 rounds) I am saying what I think he will address. I am not sold on what I know about Lynch. Obviously AP will be gone but Bush could be there due to injury and I hear he will not compete at combine, at least in running drills due to recover. He will fall and be available when we draft in round 1 but not round 2. Regardles, this is all moot as something will happen with Plummer so that will open up cap space and hopefully a draft pick (also throw in compensatory pick for Darrent and can you say moving up in the second round). How about we trade Washington for Sean Taylor and give them Lynch, Plummer and a 3rd round pick? We trade with them every year so why not? Think safety Meriweather in the 3rd round for a steal and an immediate starter.

I could also see him drafting a big pounding RB in 5th/6th like:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=152310
http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/players/playerpage/413388
or this years undrafted FA like
http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=519802

My point is something will give this year at RB. There is a reason why the starting job was given to Tatum, then Cobb, then Mike, then Cobb, then Tatum, then Mike, then Tatum - then Tatum was not allowed late in second half due to fumbling problems. Oh yeah, we are not in playoffs due to the fact we could not punch the ball in 3 times on 1st and goal inside the 5 - something will give!

Why do you think Shanahan tried to pick up Thomas Jones from Chicago before the season for Lelie and money - they knew this train wreck was coming.

And for those who say Cutler's verticle game will open up the running, that is NOT how Shanahan runs his offense, it has always been to establish the run to open up the passing game - even with Elway at QB as seen before TD (with limited success), with TD, and after TD (with limited success). Having a strong armed QB allows him to hit the seam (when the LB's move up, respect the play-action or crossing routes in middle with McCaffrey) or hit the deep outs (when safetys creep up).

You are exactly right bsaza2358, just reversed on the analysis.

I might be completely wrong but . . .

CT Bronco Fan
01-18-2007, 01:53 AM
old news dont know if it had been brought up
The Broncos have signed the following street free agents to contracts for 2007:

QB Darrell ***********
FB Troy Fleming
TE Teyo Johnson
OT Jacob Rogers
DE Carlos Hall
S Lamont Reid
P Eddie Johnson

I think *******, Fleming, Johnson, and Hall all have good shots at making the active roster.

CT Bronco Fan
01-18-2007, 01:55 AM

meh. in any other year, i'd hope for a move up to grab AD (assuming we get another 3rd in compensatory, we'd have the ammo). but there are just so many other needs right now.

it seems odd to be despondent about a team that should really compete for the playoffs next year.

You can't trade compensatory picks. And I don't think we'll be getting anything good in the compensatory department this year.

CT Bronco Fan
01-18-2007, 01:58 AM
rThink safety Meriweather in the 3rd round for a steal and an immediate starter.

I like Meriweather as a player, but as a person, he just sucks. We want to get rid of gang violence from Denver, not bring in a someone with known gang affiliation.

(also throw in compensatory pick for Darrent and can you say moving up in the second round)

ok.

A. We're not going to get any sort of compensatory pick for Darrent.

B. You cannot trade compensatory picks anyways.

njx9
01-18-2007, 06:21 AM

You can't trade compensatory picks. And I don't think we'll be getting anything good in the compensatory department this year.

no kidding. but that means we have two that would be available for trade and that we'd still have one after. and why wouldn't we? we just lost a pro bowl defensive end and a top CB without any real signings against. plus, we always seem to get something better than we should.

rcpbawler
01-18-2007, 06:51 AM
So what do you guys think about the Carriker/Wilson picks that Scott gave us?

I'm fairly sure most will agree that Carriker isn't the pick we need. But, I'm not going to lie, while I don't think it's a pressing need, Wilson doesn't seem that bad too me.

I really just think you have problems when David Kircus is your punt return man.

Jimmy
01-18-2007, 03:05 PM

I'm fairly sure most will agree that Carriker isn't the pick we need. But, I'm not going to lie, while I don't think it's a pressing need, Wilson doesn't seem that bad too me.

I really just think you have problems when David Kircus is your punt return man.

David Kircus is our fastest reciever. I would prefer a speedy guy back there anyways. I think the soultion is to draft a DT. I dont agree with the Carriker pick because frankly, I am not impressed with him and I don't like him, and I think that we have more pressing needs at Offensive Tackle and Defensive Tackle. We need a really good DT, and a good LT to back up Lepsis. I would kill for Joe Thomas. Think about it, 75% of first round picks turn out to be above average players, we need an above average player at DT right now more than we do at DE.

rcpbawler
01-18-2007, 06:42 PM

David Kircus is our fastest reciever. I would prefer a speedy guy back there anyways. I think the soultion is to draft a DT. I dont agree with the Carriker pick because frankly, I am not impressed with him and I don't like him, and I think that we have more pressing needs at Offensive Tackle and Defensive Tackle. We need a really good DT, and a good LT to back up Lepsis. I would kill for Joe Thomas. Think about it, 75% of first round picks turn out to be above average players, we need an above average player at DT right now more than we do at DE.

Yeah... I would scream at my television if Carriker were to be our pick. 300 pound DE? Did we convert to 3-4 or something? :?

I agree that Thomas is a beast... but that would cost quite a bit to trade up for. And if we were trading that far up, I would absolutely love Alan Branch.

But all of that's a reach, at best.

Jimmy
01-18-2007, 09:20 PM

Yeah... I would scream at my television if Carriker were to be our pick. 300 pound DE? Did we convert to 3-4 or something? :?

I agree that Thomas is a beast... but that would cost quite a bit to trade up for. And if we were trading that far up, I would absolutely love Alan Branch.

too bad this isnt madden...
i could like... turn the trade deadline thing off and week 17 trade up to #1 for free.
Which is funny, because i was just playing madden and it was funny. Any thing can happen. I ended Shawne Merrimans career. Haha Cutler Threw a cut block. Haha, i find sadistic irony in that. Laugh with me. Anyways, yeah, complete ACL tear. like i said...

too bad madden cant be real life.

01-18-2007, 09:22 PM

too bad this isnt madden...

Which is funny, because i was just playing and it was funny. Any thing can happen. I ended Shawne Merrimans career. Haha Cutler Threw a cut block. Haha, i find sadistic irony in that. Laugh with me. Anyways, yeah, complete ACL tear. like i said...

too bad madden cant be real life.

QFT.

I lead the league in sacks and had a defense where the lowest starter was 89 on Madden.

Plus I drafted Calvin Johnson AND AD. Not to mention Crosby, who makes 57 yarders easy in practice non-wind aided.

Edit: Oh, and I traded Plummer for a first, second and third :lol: :lol:

njx9
01-19-2007, 03:57 PM
i'm interested to see whether coyer can get the bucs pass rush working with a similar talent level.

Jimmy
01-19-2007, 09:41 PM
i'm interested to see whether coyer can get the bucs pass rush working with a similar talent level.

thats a good point. i was never a huge coyer fan. but still a huge kubes fan
. i still think he is the reason that we didnt have a great running game this year

Number 10
01-20-2007, 10:38 AM
Hey guys....

Could you give me a rough estimate of Bailey's contract....not because I think he can get traded, but because I want to see if I can get an idea of what it will take to bring in Asante Samuel.

elway777
01-20-2007, 12:42 PM
As an SC fan I sure wish we would've pursued Steve Sarkisian to be our QB coach. He would have fit perfectly into our scheme.

CT Bronco Fan
01-20-2007, 01:41 PM
Hey guys....

Could you give me a rough estimate of Bailey's contract....not because I think he can get traded, but because I want to see if I can get an idea of what it will take to bring in Asante Samuel.

he signed a 7 year deal worth 63 million. Not sure how much is left.

M
01-20-2007, 10:19 PM
Champ Bailey 2006 salary $13,507,625

M
01-20-2007, 11:08 PM
I was actully looking at us taking Quentin Moses over Carriker anyway - just has more potential to succeed, or bust, which is the joy/problem.

I would prefer to take Michael Bush in the second round but I think he will be gone early 2nd round or even late first- how about Brandon Meriweather falling to the 2nd round to us due to Character concerns? I doubt he will fall that far as some have projected him in the third round, but one never knows, and could see him going ahead of both Michael Griffin and Eric Weddle (behind LaRon Landry and right around Reggie Nelson - both in the late teens/early 20's).

I still think Marcus Thomas (DT) is a steal for some team next year in 3rd or 4th round, along with Kyle Young the Center from Fresno St.

I would request now that we arrange to have UFA Romance Taylor RB Texas come into camp and be our starting PR/KR player. I do not know if he will be invited to the combine, but I belive he is eligible and I have no idea what he is doing but this kid had talent - just another immature kid unfortunately.

Thoughts anyone?

Jimmy
01-21-2007, 09:03 AM
yeah i would kill for ramonce taylor. but idk, quincy morgan was a beast on kick returns, mind you he had only 17, and took over like week 14, but he averaged 25.4 a return. That N.C. State kid just blew.

01-21-2007, 12:14 PM
yeah i would kill for ramonce taylor. but idk, quincy morgan was a beast on kick returns, mind you he had only 17, and took over like week 14, but he averaged 25.4 a return. That N.C. State kid just blew.

Well, since Ramonce would be a UDFA/Late round pick, it wouldn't cost anything to have him and Morgan fight it out.

I also really like the idea of Marcus Thomas, hopefully he falls to our third.

Jimmy
01-22-2007, 02:23 PM

Well, since Ramonce would be a UDFA/Late round pick, it wouldn't cost anything to have him and Morgan fight it out.

I also really like the idea of Marcus Thomas, hopefully he falls to our third.

shanahan is as strict as more than most people about character issues.

njx9
01-22-2007, 07:28 PM
he's what?

i don't see shanny taking a flyer on a guy with major character flaws (these are clearly not just issues) after clarett. he's already bombed in free agency with dale carter and daryl gardner.

i suspect that if, say, meriweather were there in the late 7th, shanny might think the risk was so minimal as to be worth it. i highly doubt he does something like taking him in the 2nd. in fact, it wouldn't surprise me to not see us draft a safety at all, especially if cornerback talent in the 3rdish is decent and shanny think foxworth can be left at S.

Jimmy
01-22-2007, 09:17 PM
he's what?

i don't see shanny taking a flyer on a guy with major character flaws (these are clearly not just issues) after clarett. he's already bombed in free agency with dale carter and daryl gardner.

i guess your right, i mean i hadn't really thought about it, i am so used to hearing people say "we won't take a chance, shanahan doesnt like character issues." But when you get to the grand scheme of things, Gardner, Clarett and Dale Carter arent exactly pretty boys

rcpbawler
01-23-2007, 08:27 AM
he's what?
i suspect that if, say, meriweather were there in the late 7th, shanny might think the risk was so minimal as to be worth it. i highly doubt he does something like taking him in the 2nd. in fact, it wouldn't surprise me to not see us draft a safety at all, especially if cornerback talent in the 3rdish is decent and shanny think foxworth can be left at S.

I would hope that Shanny would draft Merriwether should he fall to the seventh... :shock:

And I'd be disappointed if we didn't address safety on day one...

Jimmy
01-24-2007, 07:53 AM
bump

what the hell how is it possible that nobody posted in this thread for 24 hours till this post

njx9
01-24-2007, 03:54 PM
shanny was ready to go with nick fergican'tcovermolasses and lynch last year. i can't imagine he's seen much to change his mind if he was ok with it then. not that i agree, i advocated a first round safety last year.

njx9
01-24-2007, 07:51 PM
can i say i sincerely hope denver's draft doesn't end up like the forum mock draft?

Jimmy
01-24-2007, 09:27 PM
shanny was ready to go with nick fergican'tcovermolasses and lynch last year. i can't imagine he's seen much to change his mind if he was ok with it then. not that i agree, i advocated a first round safety last year.

i think shanahan (unfortuatly gets attached to players like nick) wants to keep ferguson and cox and abdullah and battle them for the job (and possibly a FA acqusition). I think that the most sensible pick right now would be at DT.. Lang and Ekuban, and dumervil are average players, so i think shanahan ends up adressing our Amobi Okoye please

shanahan gets these hunches on players and doesnt give up..

01-24-2007, 10:13 PM
can i say i sincerely hope denver's draft doesn't end up like the forum mock draft?

Definitely.

njx9
01-24-2007, 10:29 PM

i think shanahan (unfortuatly gets attached to players like nick) wants to keep ferguson and cox and abdullah and battle them for the job (and possibly a FA acqusition). I think that the most sensible pick right now would be at DT.. Lang and Ekuban, and dumervil are average players, so i think shanahan ends up adressing our Amobi Okoye please

ah, missed that post. i pray we get okoye, but i have full faith we'll do something stupid like take Rice in the first and address some other non-essential need in the second.

rcpbawler
01-25-2007, 12:46 AM

ah, missed that post. i pray we get okoye, but i have full faith we'll do something stupid like take Rice in the first and address some other non-essential need in the second.

S, DT or DE... otherwise, I'm unhappy.

CT Bronco Fan
01-25-2007, 01:45 AM

A quick glance at the forum mock for Denver would have most people saying that also. However, I was able to fill every pressing need Denver had this forum mock, thru trade, and drafting.

Biggest Need for us is on the Defensive Line. I acquired Patrick Kerney, and Simeon Rice for hardly anything. After you add up the picks I traded and then match them with the value of the player under the assumption that the trades were even under the point system. I ended up getting Simeon Rice for a mid Fifth round pick. Patrick Kerney who in my mind is a top 5 DE in the league only costed me about the value of a mid 2nd rounder. Can you honestly say I could of gotten anything better in the 2nd round then Kerney, or in the 5th round then Rice? I don't think so. I was able to make Defensive End which was a weak point on our team, to a strong point, very very cheaply.

I also was able to acquire via trade Deon Grant ( For about a late third round pick value), Who is one of my favoriate players to watch, as well as a very underrated saftey. He can move in and play Strong or Free saftey for us. A depth need that we really could of used last year instead of starting Foxworth, or Cox at saftey.

So before the draft even started, I already filled three of our biggest position needs.

in the Draft < still going, but not going to get any starters this late in the draft > I was able to get Ted Ginn, Who not only will be our PR/KR <Which we suck very bad at> But will be our #2 WR after Rod retired. Ginn and Walker together is just a scary combo, and Cutler will be putting up monster numbers with those two on the team.

I also drafted Kareem Brown, he had 8.5 sacks this year, and 10 tackles for loss. and he's 6-5, 310. I feel we had a need at DT, and Brown right now is an upgrade to Myers.

All in all the forum mock for Denver has gone just amazingly well if you ask me. We drafted need, and were able to pick up solid veterans to make a super bowl run this year. not in 3 - 4 years.

But then again it is just a forum mock, and the first forum mock for starters. They don't become realistic untill you see what teams picked up what free agents and stuff like that. But for a January Mock, It's almost amazing if you ask me.

njx9
01-25-2007, 04:29 AM
personally, i think ginn is an awful prospect for denver. the only thing he really adds here, imo, is a KR, and given that every guy we've drafted for the position has bombed, i'm not real high on using a first rounder at the spot.

part of the problem stems from the fact that rice, even if acquired for a 5th, might have one season left. kerney's going to be 31 before the playoffs start. i like him coming in as a free agent, but i probably wouldn't trade picks for a guy who may not have a lot of great years left. grant, i'm sort of ambivalent about.

but regardless, the fact that we didn't fill our #1 need until the mid third round is odd. especially because it involved picking up two different DE's, a position i can see us needed perhaps one three down player at.

*shrug*

i'm not saying you did a terrible job, by any means, but i'm not sure i love the results.

Jimmy
01-25-2007, 05:51 AM
i dont want ginn anyways... i dont like his routes, he isnt that polished hands wise. and i am not convinced about his agility and fluidness... can he stop and cut? some moron is going to reach a herculean level on him

01-25-2007, 10:14 AM
Watching the Senior Bowl 1-on-1 linemen drills, I can say Adam Carriker looks very good, as does Okoye. Okoye doesn't lose often. And Carriker looks a lot leaner than I expected. He's also pretty athletic. I think he could be a solid 4-3 LE, as he can stop the run, and looked good rushing the passer. Okoye would obviously be a very good UT, only problem is at 287, how can he hold up against the run? Because that seemed to be a problem at times for us this year. Tank Tyler looked alright, he's really strong, but Ryan Kalil seemed to be able to control him well enough.

njx9
01-25-2007, 02:12 PM
okoye's weight doesn't bother me at his age. the thing with taking him, is that i think it will definitely be a couple of years before he really hits his full potential, so even if the weight's an issue initially, i think he'd still be stout enough in a rotation to justify the selection for the future.

njx9
01-26-2007, 03:46 PM
bumperiffic

Chris
01-26-2007, 03:53 PM
According to Cecil Lammey (Wright saw him there) who works for 950 the fan and is staff on footballguys.com stated the Broncos were heavily scouting defense; especially intrigued by Abiamiri out of ND.

njx9
01-26-2007, 04:35 PM
i wonder how meaningful that is come draft day... iirc, we didn't even talk to cutler. actually, i don't recall us heavily scouting anyone we've taken first... here's crossing my fingers.

01-26-2007, 05:53 PM
i wonder how meaningful that is come draft day... iirc, we didn't even talk to cutler. actually, i don't recall us heavily scouting anyone we've taken first... here's crossing my fingers.

Yeah, I don't think anybody from the organization even said a word to him.

01-27-2007, 10:13 PM
Bump?

Jimmy
01-28-2007, 07:32 AM
wtf we havent had a meaningful post here in a day and a half. why is this thread so empty.

let me take some initiative and say that i would love to nail a guy like Robert Meachem, or Johnnie Lee Higgins, because I belive they would serve Lelie's old role and go deep a lot, and draw some attention, allow Marshall and Walker to catch a lot more balls (on a consistent basis, assuming we are running with 3 WRS on a 2nd or 3rd and long) Obviously, walker would see a decrease in his yard per catch, but he would have more catches[/u]

01-28-2007, 12:30 PM
wtf we havent had a meaningful post here in a day and a half. why is this thread so empty.

let me take some initiative and say that i would love to nail a guy like Robert Meachem, or Johnnie Lee Higgins, because I belive they would serve Lelie's old role and go deep a lot, and draw some attention, allow Marshall and Walker to catch a lot more balls (on a consistent basis, assuming we are running with 3 WRS on a 2nd or 3rd and long) Obviously, walker would see a decrease in his yard per catch, but he would have more catches[/u]

Is Rod Smith retiring then? Or did he already?

Jimmy
01-28-2007, 03:51 PM

Is Rod Smith retiring then? Or did he already?

idk im just making assumptions, but smith wont win the #2 job, and if he does we are in serious, serious ****. He might have trouble cracking a 5 second 40 these days

M
01-28-2007, 04:58 PM
Any thoughts on the FA market and the Broncos. I guess we are around 7 million under the cap but if we get rid of Plummer . . . thoughts? I have made it clear I would like to package Lynch in the deal as I an not a big fan of his (if you think Rod Smith is slow look at Lynch).

A DE or OL would be a nice FA pickup.

Jimmy
01-28-2007, 05:07 PM
Any thoughts on the FA market and the Broncos. I guess we are around 7 million under the cap but if we get rid of Plummer . . . thoughts? I have made it clear I would like to package Lynch in the deal as I an not a big fan of his (if you think Rod Smith is slow look at Lynch).

A DE or OL would be a nice FA pickup.

i think a good WR, DE, DT or RT would be great... we cant really draft for a RT...
but we need to toss Plummer Obv, although idk what type of hit our cap takes.. can someone explain cap hits to me? and we also need to get rid of foster, because he sucks and is playing with a rd 1 contract...

maybe lynch

M
01-28-2007, 11:11 PM
Foster will not be released as he only makes $735k in base salary in '07. You will not have any savings from cutting the guy and you cannot replace a guy that knows the system for that cheap. Trade him if you can get value but I doubt you will.

Do not know Plummers details off the top of my head.

As far as free agents - think Atlanta:
If the Falcons don't put the franchise tag on defensive end Patrick Kerney, the Broncos might seriously consider him. He would fit in Denver for several reasons.

Kerney is a solid pass-rusher, one of the Broncos' biggest needs. He has 58 career sacks in eight NFL seasons. Kerney has played most of his career under defensive line coach Bill Johnson, who is now an assistant on Denver's staff.

Johnson's presence could be attractive for Kerney if the lineman gets into free agency.

As far as Jamal Lewis from Baltimore - I doubt he will not get resigned at the last minute, just like before as you recall when he was scheduled to get on a plane to visit Denver - the Ravens signed him at the airport.

As far as restructuring contracts I hear we are considering restructuring Rod Smith, Ebenezer Ekuban and Kenard Lang, possibly Gerard Warren.

I think Kubiac will not trade for Plummer, as he knows Plummers limitations and besides, why trade for him when we are not going to keep him at that price - wait for us to cut plummer before Roster bonus hits and then acquire Plummer for nothing in exchange, just pay his new contract.

(This is why the NBA with guaranteed contracts is miserable - no incentive to perform unless last year of contract and no penalty for dogging it, being out of shape and underachieving.)

njx9
01-29-2007, 04:40 PM
iirc, we're about 8 under. cutting plummer prior to june 1st nets something like a 9 million dollar charge against (putting us one million over).

i'm looking for Gold to be restructured or cut (last year he was our fourth highest paid player, in terms of cap numbers, and he was NOT our fourth best player), rod smith to restructure (unless he's hell bent on retiring elsewhere), at least some part of ekuban, engelberger, warren and lang to be cut or restructured (they all made FAR too much money to be as ineffective as they were) and possibly nalen/lepsis to restructure.

bluntly, we are basically not in the market for any big name guys (kerney's coach being here could lower his price tag enough, or we could cut 2/3 of the DEs i listed above to sign him) but it seems that you can pretty much rule out any player who's name you recognize for this season. which is probably ok. the only guys i'd want at all are freeney and kerney (as of right now) and i highly doubt freeney hits the market.

njx9
01-30-2007, 05:31 PM
this thread just keeps dying. it's almost not worth ressurecting.

mattrob
01-30-2007, 06:17 PM
To start the discussion, what does everyone think we'll do with #21? I'd like to see us trade down with the Jets for their two seconds, then try to pick up Griffin, Crowder, and Mebane in round 2. Trading for a mid-2nd and a 1st next year would be an option, too. I don't think the talent we'll be picking from at 21 will be that much different from that in the mid-2nd, at least at our positions of need (DL, S, WR, RB).

The only players I'd look to trade up for would be Carriker (as long as it only cost one of our 3rds), Anderson or Adams (if one falls to the 11-15 range).

njx9
01-30-2007, 06:26 PM
i doubt we trade down (as our tendency is to move up for a guy we want). i sort of look for us to make a move up to 15-18 (hopefully to grab a DT) on draft day, when someone shanny loves inevitably falls into that range. but i think it really depends on the combine. if all the DL move themselves way up, and the WRs are gone and Lynch is gone, i could see a trade down. that's a lot of ifs though.

mattrob
01-30-2007, 06:31 PM
The problem is, Okoye and Branch are really the only two DT's that should be gone before 21 and they'll probably go top 10. DE is the same way, with Anderson and Adams likely gone in the top 10 as well. That leaves Carriker, who may creap up close to that range, too. After that, you're looking at Tank Tyler or a DE like Jarvis Moss, neither of which excite me too much. I'm not a huge Lynch fan, either. Talent's there but he never really was dominant when I watched him play.

njx9
01-30-2007, 06:41 PM
yeah, i'm not as high on lynch as some of the guys here (chris), but i think a solution is necessary at RB and i just don't like any of the talent after lynch.

mattrob
01-30-2007, 06:51 PM
There's a couple of guys I wouldn't mind, like Jackson, Pittman, Hunt, or Gary Russell, but the real talent will come out next year. There's three or four guys next year who could rank higher than Lynch and there's good depth as well. I'd rather wait one more year.

elway777
01-31-2007, 08:47 PM
What round do you guys like to see Denver draft a O-Tackle?

I'd love to get Ugoh in the late 3rd if he were to be available. Joe Staley would be great too, though he's probably a 2nd rounder and Denver has more pressing needs.

njx9
02-01-2007, 01:00 PM
2nd-4th, i doubt the talent is available in the first, but lepsis's injury affected the team too much for me to believe this isn't a top 3 need (especially if the guy has the ability to play either tackle, in case meadows cant' get it done next year).

elway777
02-01-2007, 10:30 PM
2nd-4th, i doubt the talent is available in the first, but lepsis's injury affected the team too much for me to believe this isn't a top 3 need (especially if the guy has the ability to play either tackle, in case meadows cant' get it done next year).

Thanks, so who do you view matches these qualifications while being in the 2-4 range?

Also would you approve of Denver drafting Joe Staley around the 2-3 round range if a D-lineman is already picked in the first?

njx9
02-02-2007, 01:23 AM
i'll be honest, i just haven't had a chance to really look at individual prospects yet... unfortunately this year i was on a plane for the senior bowl, which is when i tend to start to really look at guys. at this point, i'd say i'm not massively particular about the guys as long as the position gets addressed somehow (i'm not opposed to signing someone, as long as he still has some years left).

njx9
02-02-2007, 04:11 PM
just fyi, if anyone's interested, the donkeys are still unmanned in the next forum mock thing.

Jimmy
02-02-2007, 06:20 PM
what do you guys think about Denver and Kerney, i mean i know most of you have expressed your interest to a high level, but do we really have the cap, and do we need an aging D-lineman who was on the IR?

i guess you could argue that he is in the same situation as Pryce was, not as severe injury wise, but aging, but possibly still great

UtepMiner
02-02-2007, 07:08 PM
Need some help Broncos fans...I'm at your pick in my mock.

I know that D-line is a big need for them..but in my mock all the best D-line prospects are gone so far (Anderson, Adams, Branch, Carriker, Okoye, and Charles Johnson even)

that leaves you with guys like Moss, Abiamiri at DE, and Pitcock, Tyler, and Harrell at DT.

Who would be the best pick in that situation?

*edit ok I want to give them Jarvis Moss, but at 260 lbs I'm not sure he can be an every down DE. Another Bronco fan told me that they could really use a DT that can get a push on the interior...so I kind of want to give you DeMarcus Tyler.

njx9
02-05-2007, 12:38 AM
DT or HB seem to be the obvious picks. if literally every 1st round worthy DT and HB was gone, WR is probably the next most likely pick.

kwilliamsfa
02-05-2007, 01:22 PM
DT or HB seem to be the obvious picks. if literally every 1st round worthy DT and HB was gone, WR is probably the next most likely pick.

DT is much needed *if* they can help collapse the pocket on passing downs.

I like OL better than WR as the "3rd need" , assuming a decent prospect is available. Strengthing the line is critical to giving our young skill players the chance they need to succeed.

kwilliamsfa
02-05-2007, 01:46 PM
what do you guys think about Denver and Kerney, i mean i know most of you have expressed your interest to a high level, but do we really have the cap, and do we need an aging D-lineman who was on the IR?

I'm not sure about the cap space, but I'd certainly like to see it happen. He's got a motor and can rush the passer. Yes, he is aging and has been injured, but we do have some depth on the DL to keep a decent rotation.

Our draft position is not favorable to getting immediate help on the DL. The really good prospects will likely be gone and I suspect the remaining pool won't be 1st round material. Unless the team is planning on trading up, this is further incentive to look to the market for help.

i guess you could argue that he is in the same situation as Pryce was, not as severe injury wise, but aging, but possibly still great

Pryce worked out pretty well for Baltimore...

Jimmy
02-05-2007, 05:56 PM
god, diehard im starting to have trouble distinguishing our posts... (see avitar)

Ravens1991
02-05-2007, 06:20 PM
what kind of defense do you run is it a traditonal 43 or a cover 2 43?

Rex212
02-05-2007, 06:43 PM
Is it a traditional 4-3. If they had more pressure generated along the line the idea would be to switch to a Cover 2. They havn't had the necessary personnel along the line.

njx9
02-06-2007, 12:10 AM
I like OL better than WR as the "3rd need" , assuming a decent prospect is available. Strengthing the line is critical to giving our young skill players the chance they need to succeed.

i absolutely whole heartedly agree, i just don't see it as a likely pick. :|

njx9
02-06-2007, 12:11 AM
what kind of defense do you run is it a traditonal 43 or a cover 2 43?

4-3

bailey would be wasted in any standard cover 2 scheme.

kwilliamsfa
02-06-2007, 02:32 PM
i absolutely whole heartedly agree, i just don't see it as a likely pick. :|

I agree, unless one of the blue chip OL prospects falls a lot further down the chart than anticipated (slim chance of that, given how desperate some teams are for OL help).

The #21 spot is a tough one to address the primary team needs (DL, RB, OL). I certainly don't like some of the reach picks I've seen in various mocks - I'd rather have real first round talent even if it fills a lesser need like S or WR.

njx9
02-06-2007, 03:05 PM
yup.

i find it hard to believe we'll actually pick at 21 (barring some seriously bizarre draft day happenings), so i think somepalce in the 15-18 range we'll be able to find someone who fills a major need position and whose value is right.

i just don't want to see us do something like trade up for ginn.

Jimmy
02-07-2007, 06:59 AM
i dont think shanahan sees anything in ginn but a very very poor mans lelie.... so he can return, something we need, but he is only a deep threat and cant run routes.

njx9
02-07-2007, 08:44 AM
see, the return bit scares me. it's the only reason he took deltha and middlebrooks so high.

Jimmy
02-07-2007, 09:21 AM
see, the return bit scares me. it's the only reason he took deltha and middlebrooks so high.

oh god, i forgot about middlebrooks...

i would least be happy with a guy that runs decent routes and can return...

(that is not Ginn)

kwilliamsfa
02-07-2007, 04:11 PM
i would least be happy with a guy that runs decent routes and can return...

Nice thing about that is it would kill two birds with one stone - addressing our horrible KR situation and depth at WR to compensate for Rod Smith's decline.

This is something the Broncos can look at in the 3rd round IMO.

njx9
02-07-2007, 05:41 PM
i agree. if you're not going to get CJ, i like the mid-draft talent as better value. guys like williams and higgins would work for me (if they're around in the 2nd or early 3rd), assuming DL is addressed in the first.

Titans10
02-08-2007, 11:40 AM
damn u guys are lucky....u defintaly have the quarterback of your future

found this on the broncos website

FINAL ANALYSIS:Cutler became the first rookie in NFL history with multiple touchdown passes in each of his first four games … Had the fifth-highest passer rating of quarterbacks who had at least 125 passes (25.0 per game) from Dec. 1 onward; his 88.5 rating was behind only Indianapolis’ Peyton Manning (102.6), St. Louis’ Marc Bulger (93.4), New Orleans’ Drew Brees (91.8) and New England’s Tom Brady (90.1) … Cutler’s nine touchdown passes in December were third in the league behind Bulger and Manning, who each fired 10; his touchdown percentage (6.6 percent) was second in the league among quarterbacks to start all five games in December, behind only Atlanta’s Michael Vick … His completion percentage (59.1), touchdown percentage and passer rating rank first all-time among Broncos rookies; his yardage per attempt places him second in team rookie annals.

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/mason/2007/02/07/player-spotlight-jay-cutler/

boppool
02-08-2007, 12:13 PM
"David Carr will be traded, and Jake Plummer will be the Texans quarterback next season. Plummer will compete with Sage Rosenfels and a rookie Gary Kubiak wants to develop."
-- Houston Chronicle
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/scorecard/02/07/truth.rumors.nfl/index.html?eref=si_nfl

Just saw this article and I'm not sure how reliable this information is, but sounds pretty good, especially if we can get a decent draft pick for Jake.(based on performance?)

kwilliamsfa
02-08-2007, 02:44 PM
If Houston do pick up Jake, I seriously hope they protect him better than they did Carr. Carr has put up pretty decent numbers considering his swiss-cheese OL - I hope he gets a chance elsewhere to show what he can do with some protection.

... and yes, we'll happily take some of Houston's picks in return for Jake... they'd just waste them anyway :wink:

mattrob
02-08-2007, 05:00 PM
If we do trade Jake, I think the only way we'll get value from him is to package him with our pick(s) to move up. If we could trade our 1, 2, and Plummer for Houston's 1, or our 2nd and Plummer for Houston's 2, we'd be getting high-3rd round value for him, and I really don't think either of those trades are too far off (we may have to throw in a late rounder to make it work, but it's still a trade in our favor). If Jake's traded straight-up for a pick, I don't think we get higher than a 4th.

M
02-09-2007, 02:24 AM
Jake - I think if we get rid of him it will be a three way trade (possibly with the Texans Chicago Minn or Washington). I think it will be a package trade.

Anybody else not disappointed that San Diego has a tougher schedule next year and lost both their co-ordinators and Marty is in his last year unless he wins superbowl. They have so much talent I will take every advantage I can get.

Most people on this site agree no CB with first round pick - so who do you want us to take in the first two rounds?

Alan Branch could fall with bad combine numbers - he is slow but very strong, especially with Amobi Okoye clearly the first DT to be taken otherwise it could be Lynch or who ever falls from DE Gaines Adams, Adam Carriker, Jamaal Anderson (if any). Personally I would be very happy if Reggie Nelson somehow fell to us (even though I think he will be as possibley the first Safety taken around the 10 - 15 spot.

Second round I could see us taking Bush as a big bruising back with great vision (he would work well with Tatum for a change of pace) or I will just keep looking for Brandon Meriweather to fall for character issues but Cincy will pick him up ahead of us in 2nd.

Ultimately we will know more after the combine.

Jimmy
02-09-2007, 05:41 AM
i really dont care what we do with plummer, as long as we move on draft day, i dont like sitting at that #21

mattrob
02-09-2007, 01:42 PM
Alan Branch could fall with bad combine numbers - he is slow but very strong, especially with Amobi Okoye clearly the first DT to be taken otherwise it could be Lynch or who ever falls from DE Gaines Adams, Adam Carriker, Jamaal Anderson (if any). Personally I would be very happy if Reggie Nelson somehow fell to us (even though I think he will be as possibley the first Safety taken around the 10 - 15 spot.

Second round I could see us taking Bush as a big bruising back with great vision (he would work well with Tatum for a change of pace) or I will just keep looking for Brandon Meriweather to fall for character issues but Cincy will pick him up ahead of us in 2nd.

Ultimately we will know more after the combine.
Actually, Branch is the consenous #1 DT at this point. He's projected to go in the 3-7 range, where Okoye probably goes 10-12. That is subject to change based on Combine/interviews, though. Carriker is the only one who realistically has a shot at falling to 21, and I'd love to have him there. As for Bush, I'll pass. The injury is just healing too slowly and I'm not a fan of the huge backs.

mattrob
02-09-2007, 01:43 PM
i really dont care what we do with plummer, as long as we move on draft day, i dont like sitting at that #21
Agreed. I wouldn't mind moving up 5 or 6 spots and adding an impact player or moving out of the first altogether, either to add more 2nd-3rd rounders or to pick up a #1 next year.

elway777
02-10-2007, 08:45 PM
Bump...

djmakaveli
02-11-2007, 12:49 AM
what should we do on draft day

M
02-11-2007, 11:50 PM

Drink heavily and hope to not get to upset with either who we picked, or who we could have picked that was still available when we picked.

Unfortunately, a player several of us had talked about hoping he would go undrafted was Romonce Taylor, and he was just invited to the Combine. He will be taken on the second day (depending upon his combine workout so know more in a few weeks) and will be a special teams starter right away. I think he will be solid PR/KR player, something we could use in a Broncos uniform - especially if we could pick him up as an undrafted FA (Mike Bell) or in 6th round.

I think this is the year the Broncos take one of the following three "character" issue guys:

Brandon Meriweather - steal if made it to 3rd round
Marcus Thomas - free fall to 4th/5th round -1st round talent?
Romonce Taylor - combine will dictate

What do you think about Ramonce Taylor? I know he has a shady history but overall I think this guy is a supreme talent. Where do you see him going in the draft?

Nick H. from Champaign, Illinois

Prior to his standout performances in not one but two post-season all-star games I said that there was little or no chance that Taylor would be drafted due to his well-documented off-the-field troubles. However, Taylor has really caught the eyes of scouts and even garnered an invite to the Scouting Combine so he could be selected late or at the very least be brought into an NFL camp and given an opportunity. Taylor doesn't have a lot of experience and what exactly his best role will be (Running back? 3rd down back? Wide receiver? Return man?) is still unknown but he has great speed and is a dynamic threat so that will give him a chance. In short Taylor has gone from off the radar to an interesting prospect.
- Scott Wright, NFL Draft Countdown

kwilliamsfa
02-13-2007, 10:00 AM
I think this is the year the Broncos take one of the following three "character" issue guys:

Brandon Meriweather - steal if made it to 3rd round
Marcus Thomas - free fall to 4th/5th round -1st round talent?
Romonce Taylor - combine will dictate

Meriweather is a 1st round talent, but with the 'character' knocks and deep pool of safeties available, he will probably fall. In terms of talent, he'd be a steal if we could pick him up in the 2nd round. As for his 'character', well, I'd prefer aggressive/fiery over lazy/disinterested any day of the week.

kwilliamsfa
02-13-2007, 10:21 AM
Actually, Branch is the consenous #1 DT at this point. He's projected to go in the 3-7 range, where Okoye probably goes 10-12. That is subject to change based on Combine/interviews, though. Carriker is the only one who realistically has a shot at falling to 21

Yeah, Branch will go way, way up there. He's a beast, even if he's not lightning quick. In a way, he's exactly what we need - an stud interior guy with the power to force other teams to double him, giving our DEs/LBs a chance to make plays.

A lots of teams are looking for help on the DL, so we'll be lucky to get a shot at one of the legit 1st rounders at 21. I'm hoping the combine workouts will expand the pool a little by boosting the stock of guys like Jarvis Moss, Charles Johnson and Victor Abiamiri.

If I had a choice, we'd get a blue chip DT in the first round and pick up a speedy rush DE in the 2nd or 3rd. However, without a major trade-up this simply won't happen.

mancl
02-13-2007, 07:43 PM
I'm a Packer fan checking on speculation that is floating around the Packer boards. The speculation is that there will be some sort of Tatum Bell for DE KGB deal made- there may be more involved than that but that is the essence of the deal. Your comments

njx9
02-13-2007, 08:15 PM
i don't buy it. KGB adds nothing to our defense that we don't already have.

mattrob
02-13-2007, 08:22 PM
KGB is a pass-rush specialist who hasn't produced a whole lot over the last 3 years. I'd rather just go with Dumerville. Bell for a 3rd sounds good, though.

mattrob
02-13-2007, 08:28 PM
KGB is a pass-rush specialist who hasn't produced a whole lot over the last 3 years. I'd rather just go with Dumerville. Bell for a 3rd sounds good, though.

njx9
02-13-2007, 11:22 PM
exactly. i don't think he would beat out ekuban or lang, and dumervil played better last season. KGB and a decent draft pick wouldn't be ugly (i certainly wouldn't mind him competing for a rotation spot), but a straight up deal would be uncharacteristically poor value for denver.

mattrob
02-14-2007, 12:38 PM
KGB and a conditional 3rd next year wouldn't be bad. I think he's got something left, but we really need everydown players on the line.

mattrob
02-15-2007, 12:47 PM
Scott has us getting Johnson and Weddle in his newest mock. I don't think I can argue with that at all.

M
02-15-2007, 03:01 PM
Tell this to Houston.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story?columnist=joyner_kc&id=2763865

Modano
02-16-2007, 01:22 PM
What do you guys think of Mike Bell? Any chance that he will be starting next year?

njx9
02-16-2007, 01:31 PM
What do you guys think of Mike Bell? Any chance that he will be starting next year?

fantasy?

meh. i like the guy, but he wasn't a game breaking rb. i'd much rather him play a backup role and come in to give whoever's starting a breather.

elway777
02-18-2007, 12:06 AM
NJX, any idea on whether Tatum Bell will be traded this offseason or not?

njx9
02-18-2007, 11:31 PM
i don't see it, but i don't see anyone giving us anything for him. getting benched because you can't hang onto the ball in key situations is not really a great way to get interest...

M
02-18-2007, 11:45 PM
i don't see it, but i don't see anyone giving us anything for him. getting benched because you can't hang onto the ball in key situations is not really a great way to get interest...

Tatum Bell will be a quiescent player in the offseason for the reason indicatively stated above. :shock: :?

njx9
02-18-2007, 11:48 PM

Tatum Bell will be a quiescent player in the offseason for the reason indicatively stated above. :shock: :?

that's one way to agree

elway777
02-20-2007, 01:15 AM
Im just tired of seeing Tatum starting, he's not consistent enough.

Is Mike Bell ready to take the load? :?

Namy
02-20-2007, 01:23 AM

The problem is that both bells are inconsistent.

In any case, Tatum has the speed and is getting better as a complete back... his fumbling problem can be fixed (look at tiki)

Modano
02-20-2007, 02:01 AM

fantasy?

meh. i like the guy, but he wasn't a game breaking rb. i'd much rather him play a backup role and come in to give whoever's starting a breather.

Yes fantasy.. I've signed him to a two years contract last year and I have to decide if trade him (for a 3rd round pick) or stick with him. He won me one game when he torched the Colts' defense :D

Is Tatum Bell gonna be the starter once again?

djmakaveli
02-21-2007, 08:22 PM

The problem is that both bells are inconsistent.

In any case, Tatum has the speed and is getting better as a complete back... his fumbling problem can be fixed (look at tiki)

we need to trade up in the draft and get a consistent back- i like marshawn lynch he would run well with our zone blocking. we should trade tatum and at least give mike some more time as a backup i dont really see him being a full time back but i do like him. Tatum is way to inconsistent we should drop him.

djmakaveli
02-21-2007, 08:26 PM

Drink heavily and hope to not get to upset with either who we picked, or who we could have picked that was still available when we picked.

lmao haha yea sounds good

M
02-21-2007, 11:52 PM
Do we get rid of Plummer in the next week?

njx9
02-22-2007, 01:08 AM
doubt it. for cap reasons, i think he gets cut june 1. he'll be with the team until then.

Jimmy
02-22-2007, 07:05 AM
Tatum Bell is the biggest waste of speed I have ever seen in my life. He has not clue how to use it. Slamming into Ashley Lelie's back when the only man left is right in front of you being blocked is not what NFL RB's do. ( I will never forget that play) Tatum is also, one of the least agile backs for a back of his speed. His speed/ agility ratio is one of the most off proportions in the league, i wouldnt be suprised if he had the most lopsided one. Tatum has awful vision, and i mean awful. He could never. never. never. find a hole in the line. Then mike bell comes in, who isnt faster, but more agile, and makes a quick cut and picks up 7 or 8. Honestly, i wish the best to tatum, but he is a waste of money.

kwilliamsfa
02-22-2007, 11:14 AM
Tatum Bell is the biggest waste of speed I have ever seen in my life.

I agree. His inconsistency/unreliability is what really kills me. I hope that speed is worth a mid-round draft pick to some other team...

njx9
02-22-2007, 03:58 PM
i'd love a 4th for him. i think we could swindle someone out of a 2008 3rd if we're willing to sit on him until training camp injuries hit.

kwilliamsfa
02-23-2007, 10:50 AM
Yeah, I'd happily take a 4th for him right now... and use that pick to grab some help for the OL. There should be some decent prospects available at that point.

M
02-23-2007, 11:57 AM
Put Tatum in a package deal with Plummer or/and Foster, or/and Lynch - we have lots to work with on the block.

njx9
02-23-2007, 06:17 PM
you can't honestly believe lynch is tradeable.

02-23-2007, 07:50 PM
How about Tatum Bell and a 5th for Thomas Jones? I would really like Thomas Jones over here.

njx9
02-23-2007, 07:55 PM
i doubt the bears have any interest in bell. i'd trade him for a 4th or so, and give up our late third for jones, assuming that lynch and peterson are out of trade up range.

elway777
02-23-2007, 09:36 PM
I haven't heard Micheal Turner's name being brought up in these discussions. I'd love to have this guy in Blue and Orange.

njx9
02-23-2007, 10:16 PM
not worth anywhere near what he'll cost.

elway777
02-23-2007, 10:22 PM

Yeah and where do you expect that to be in terms of draft pick wise?
2 or 3?

njx9
02-23-2007, 10:23 PM

2 or 3?

1 and 3. he'll likely get the high tender, and further, even if it's a sign and trade, he'll cost at least a first.

M
02-23-2007, 10:31 PM
I have stated it very clearly that a 36 year old Lynch can only do 1/2 of his job. He is one of the best on run support, and is a liability on pass protection. The new coach like to play more man on outside and put safeties in read and react zones - do you think Lynch can do this. I am sorry but he can no longer play at the speed of the position. Trade him while he still has value (Pro Bowl). When they have a 3 yard "step" on him within 15 yards of the line of scrimmage, it is time to say that the emperor has no clothes.

His leadership will be missed
His tackling will be missed
His run support will be missed

It is the right thing to do (trade him to Houston with Plummer for a higher draft pick).

elway777
02-23-2007, 10:34 PM

2 or 3?

1 and 3. he'll likely get the high tender, and further, even if it's a sign and trade, he'll cost at least a first.

Ouch, He would be great for our system too.

M
02-24-2007, 02:06 PM
http://cfapp2.rockymountainnews.com/video/popup-w.cfm?VID=022307wendling

Look good in a Broncos uniform.

elway777
02-24-2007, 03:37 PM
http://cfapp2.rockymountainnews.com/video/popup-w.cfm?VID=022307wendling

Look good in a Broncos uniform.

That's insane, I can't wait to see him at the combine. I hope we draft a safety in the 3-4 range. Or we could sign a FA like Gibril Wilson who's a bright young star.

Namy
02-24-2007, 11:15 PM
Nash, RIP

Jimmy
02-25-2007, 09:41 AM
Nash was a great player, and i hate so sound like im jumping on the
"feel sorry for him" bandwagon, but i always thought that he played like Terell Davis, in a sense that he seemed like a great cutback runner. All I remember when he had a 25 yard run one time is that he showed patience agility, speed and power. I honestly thought he was the only bronco that stood any chance of becoming an average starter in this league, but we wont get to see him make a run for the starting job this offseason.

A4Qxxx
03-01-2007, 11:11 AM
The PERFECT Plan!

Can someone please forward this on to Mike Shanny?

1. Trade a 3rd Round Pick and George Foster to Detroit for Dr. Dre Bly. (Throw in Ta-Bum Bell if you have too) With as bad as their OL is and Kevin Jones still out this deal is too sweet for New Orleans or Washington to match.
2. Trade Jake Plummer to Houston for a 4th.
3. Sign the Kearney. If he is too pricey, get Adalius Thomas.

Draft:
1st No need to trade up. Gaines Adams and Jamal Anderson will be long gone. And Akoye and Branch will be gone as well. But one if not both Carriker or Charles Johnson - DEs will be there. Either of them are strong enough to be every down players with Kearny on the other side, and Dumerville pass rush specialist.

2nd RB or DT. If Michael Bush or Antonio Pittman are available you take one of them to come in and compete with Mike Bell. If they are both gone you look at 2nd round DT Tank Tyler would be a steal if he is not there, McBean will be. He and Warren will clog the lanes, and we have Veal for depth.

3rd DT or RB If we get RB in Bush or Pittman in the 2nd, Marcus Thomas is a beast of a DT we can land in the third. If we didnt get a RB in the second and landed a DT instead, then we draft the best RB available here to compete with Mike Bell, I like Brandon Jackson here and should most likely be available. If not DeShawn Wynn or Lorenzo Booker will be.

4th - (from trading Plummer to Houston) WR/KR I havent gotten this deep into WRs yet to give ideas as too who, but someone to come in and compete with Hixon and Morgan to return kicks and provide some depth at WR. This is the perfect round to look another Devin Hester type.

4th Safety I know they like Abdullah, and Curome Cox, I do as well. But everyone seems to believe we are going to add some youth at Safety, then please make it in the 5th, and not higher, we have more pressing needs at RB and DL.

5/6/7th Best available. We can add some depth at OT since weve traded Foster, and a special teams demon and reserve LB wouldnt hurt. Plus Why NOT Tyrone Moss or Danny Ware? Both had promising college horizons and both were sidetracked. I believe they can be the next Frank Gore, so if we can land one of them late in the draft, despite taking a RB on day one, do it. Mike Bell, Michael Bush, and Danny Ware or Bell, Pittman, and Moss. We can find a RB to get it done in 07 with that group.

? WR/KR
? S
? OT
Danny Ware RB
? LB

Im a genius!

njx9
03-01-2007, 12:01 PM
i don't like any of the second tier RBs (evidenced by the forum mock). i think we'd be better served addressing a different position if we're not in a position to get lynch in the first, then grab a 6th or 7th round guy, where i feel the value is terrific for denver-type backs. this is just a weak year to try to get a runner who would make a major impact in the second. i still HATE trading a 3rd for bly.

Xiomera
03-01-2007, 12:51 PM
Hey,

Can someone tell me the contract status of George Foster and Tatum Bell? They were just traded to Detroit for Dre Bly . . .

Thanks

IndyColtScout
03-01-2007, 12:53 PM
Can a Broncos fan tell me who their RT will be next season, & whom Mike Bell will be sharing time with?

Diehard
03-01-2007, 01:12 PM
Can a Broncos fan tell me who their RT will be next season, & whom Mike Bell will be sharing time with?

RT - likely Meadows or Pears (assuming Lepsis returns to LT)

RB - will probably come from the draft

IndyColtScout
03-01-2007, 01:29 PM
RT - likely Meadows or Pears (assuming Lepsis returns to LT)

RB - will probably come from the draft

I can't believe Meadows is even back in the league let alone competing for a starting spot. Wow! Good trade, best of luck in the draft. I am thinking you guys take Darius Walker @ the next DEN RB.

Diehard
03-01-2007, 02:01 PM
I can't believe Meadows is even back in the league let alone competing for a starting spot. Wow! Good trade, best of luck in the draft. I am thinking you guys take Darius Walker @ the next DEN RB.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the draft in terms of RB. Assuming the reports are correct (Bell + Foster + 5th round pick), we've got 4 picks in the first 3 rounds, then don't pick again until the 6th. I'm not sure Walker's good value in the 3rd, and I doubt he'll still be available in the 6th.

IndyColtScout
03-01-2007, 02:03 PM
It will be interesting to see what happens in the draft in terms of RB. Assuming the reports are correct (Bell + Foster + 5th round pick), we've got 4 picks in the first 3 rounds, then don't pick again until the 6th. I'm not sure Walker's good value in the 3rd, and I doubt he'll still be available in the 6th.

Darius is great value in the third. I think he's worth a late 2nd rounder. Plus, Walker is a good RB fit for the ZBS. Who knows? DEN has had success w/ late round backs, so DEN might not look at a RB til Day 2.

Ravens1991
03-01-2007, 02:53 PM
Do you guys think you would go after Jamal Lewis?

A4Qxxx
03-01-2007, 03:08 PM
I pray to god NO Jamal Lewis!

*See washed up Eddie George's career with Dallas...

No JAMAL no JAMAL NO!

I'm still loving Kolby Smith, and now with his 40 better then expected, that wishful pick might be ruined for me. I don't know if he'll make it out of the 4th, and too high for our 3rd round picks.

Diehard
03-01-2007, 04:53 PM
I pray to god NO Jamal Lewis!

Lol. I tend to agree... baggage, injuries, declining performance and probably looking for big $$$... doesn't sound like a good fit.

M
03-02-2007, 05:19 PM
How could you want plummer in TB after he says he may want to retire rather than play there. Talk about the "right" attitude going into camp.

elway777
03-02-2007, 08:37 PM
More reason to hate Jake "the fake" Plummer. A 4th rounder would have been good trade bait.

M
03-03-2007, 01:36 PM
So we got rid of plummer for a conditional draft pick next year, then we get Dan Wilkinson in exchange for a 6th http://profootballtalk.com/

We also get rid of two players in Shanahan's dog house, (Tatum and Foster) and we get a talented but "troubled" corner.

I certainly give Shanahan and the staff a great deal of credit for trying and making aggressive moves on players, rather than just sitting and waiting. Now all we need is a starting RB, a starting DE, and a young DT to groom behind these guys, offensive line starter or backup if you like who we have to replace Foster, and of course my opinion about how we need to get rid of Lynch and get a starting safety (with a solid safety depth in the draft for the second round).

jth1331
03-04-2007, 03:22 AM
Get rid of Lynch? Lynch is still solid, and should be at SS, but he is our best coverage safety so he is at FS. We do need to go the safety route though, Lynch and Ferguson are old and will need to be replaced. I think Sam Brandon could turn out to be a solid Safety, losing him hurt last year.
I also like the trade for Wilkinson, gives us another rotational guy at DT and he is a big guy who can plug the line and stuff the run.
So far I'm liking the moves this offseason. Just sign Graham, Kerney and a RB, and draft DE, S and DT in the draft and I'll be happy.
Imagine if we line up next year like this:
QB:
Cutler, backup: Brad Johnson(?)
RB:
Travis Henry, backup: Mike Bell
FB:
Cecil Sapp, backup: Kyle Johnson
WR:
Javon Walker, Brandon Marshall, backups: Rod Smith, David Kircus
TE:
Daniel Graham, Tony Scheffler and backup: Chad Mustard
LT:
Matt Lepsis
LG:
Ben Hamilton
C:
Nalen
RG:
Chris Kuper(think he wins the battle)
RT:
Eric Pears(think he wins over Meadows)

Defense:
DE's:
Patrick Kerney and Kenard Lang starting, backups: Dumervil, rookie(Carriker? Charles Johnson? Crowder? Moss?), Ekuban
DT:
Gerrard Warren and Dan Wilkinson, backups: rookie(Pitcock? Mebane?), Veal, Burton and Ekuban can rotate in
OLB:
Ian Gold and DJ Williams starting, backups:
MLB:
Al Wilson, Backup: Nate Webster
CB:
Champ and Bly backups: Foxworth and Paymah
FS:
Lynch, backup: Brandon, Cox, rookie(Griffen? Merriwether? Weddle?)
SS:
Ferguson, backup: Brandon, Cox, rookie(Griffen? Merriwether? Weddle?)

K:
Elam
P:
Ernster

Solid team IMO

3projectPAT6
03-04-2007, 02:10 PM
Travis Henry is gross.

I am going to be pretty upset if he is our starting runningback next year

elway777
03-04-2007, 02:21 PM
Gross? He's a consistent runner who gets yards after contact unlike Tatum did and had a pretty good year last year behind a dismal Tennessee Titans line.

3projectPAT6
03-05-2007, 06:24 PM
i am sooo pissed. Travis Henry is gross... i hate his style. Its really gonna be a struggle for me to support him. Hes old slow and just boring. ugh, i want a game breaking back if we are gonna pay 22.5 mill on a back. He is a slightly more talented rueben droughns. Hes gonna get the job done... but its just gonna be so lame...

hes also 28. We better get a young back next year (slayton, rice, or god willing McFadden).

Titans10
03-05-2007, 07:28 PM
Project, dont know what your talking about, you guys got a hell of a runningback in Henry, who is going to be able to pound the ball 25 times a game and will fit into the zone blocking scheme well. Im calling that Henry will run for 1400 yards this season. You guys are set on offense with Cutler, Walker, Marshall, Henry and Scheffler; of course your defense is awsome and now even better with Bly...I think though you need someone to protect Cutler;s blindside and maybe a DE, my 2 cents

3projectPAT6
03-05-2007, 08:49 PM
ya,ya, i know ive cooled down a little bit. Henry will be pretty productive, its just ive never really been impressed by him, out of buffalo he looked solid, looked decent in tennessee, and i know hes gonna be a productive broncos, i think im just upset because there is other prospects that could of been all-stars, like 1,700 yards 15+ TD's in our system.

I take it back... i over reacted.