PDA

View Full Version : Denver Broncos Discussion

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

rcpbawler
03-05-2007, 09:51 PM
I am very content with the moves we've made this off-season. If Kearney comes at a decent price, and we draft OL and maybe second tier safety, we're set.

3projectPAT6
03-05-2007, 11:14 PM
Mayock had described Branch as Boom or Bust just one too many times for me. That is the very last thing we need, another under achieving D-lineman. I would like to trade our picks to get better position in next years draft. I dont think we are gonna find anything worthwhile at 21, and i dont think its gonna be worth it to trade up into the top 10-15 range. Save picks, try to get into position to get one of the stud RB's next year and have a cutler, marshal, sheftler, and RB X combo that will give us a tremendous chance to win championships for the next 7 years.

rcpbawler
03-06-2007, 01:35 AM
Yikes. Pretty happy we didn't sign Kearney with that kind of pay day.

I believe Branch is exactly what we need. I like Okoye as well, but I don't think he will contribute immediately like Branch will.

elway777
03-06-2007, 08:31 AM
I hope if not first day, we get a guy like Dan Bauzin or Mkristo Bruce on the 2nd day of the draft. I am high on getting Okoye, the guy has great work ethic (unlike some of our current d-lineman) and he's balanced as a pass rusher and run stopper and hopefully available at 21.(which I highly doubt)

broncofan4lyfe
03-06-2007, 04:30 PM
personally it felt to me that what we lacked most was a pass rushing player period. that seems to me the main reason why we had a tough time on defense last year. every qb we played against we constantly gave him too much time to throw. so i think that we should look at a defensive end before we look at a tackle. especially since we just traded for one in dan wilkinson(don't know much about him)...just my opinion but our d-line did a fair job at collapsing a pocket...

jth1331
03-06-2007, 07:07 PM
I don't think our problem is really DE, but DT not getting pressure up the middle. Remember how many times our DE's would "get" to the QB, but he would just step up in the pocket and throw? Zero DT pressure, thats our biggest need. Certainly adding a stud DE would help out, but we also need someone who can help get a push up the middle from the DT spot.

elway777
03-06-2007, 07:27 PM
NJX which is why Okoye would be a great pick, at this point he's raw and needs to get stronger for NFL Guards and centers but he's very quick and agile with a great first step unlike Branch(who is sliding down boards).

Also if we move to 6 like the rumor for Dre Bly intends, would you rather have Adams or Branch?

Diehard
03-06-2007, 08:05 PM
I'd take Okoye at 6. Huge potential upside, and he's the disruptor / penetrator we lack right now. Big Daddy can throw his weight around on obvious running downs to give the kid some relief from the constant battering by mammoth OG's.

Branch is a close second. Bigger, tougher but not quite as explosive.

elway777
03-06-2007, 08:13 PM
and i dig our rotation if we add one. with warren and wilkinson (and veal occasionally) we can keep guys fresher, which would be huge with a guy like okoye.

Well with Warren and Wilkinson we need depth, their not the most conditioned players. Okoye at this point may be that guy who could come in when either Dan or Warren need some air and also on 3rd downs with Dumervil.

NJX how do you feel about Sabby Pisscettelli(sp?)?

jth1331
03-07-2007, 09:23 AM
The more I think about it, if we trade up to 6, I'd rather take Landry or Adams, maybe Anderson. I'm not impressed with Branch or Okoye really, and neither will contribute much their rookie year anyways. I think we could do well picking up a DT in rounds 2 and 3.

elway777
03-07-2007, 09:37 AM
The more I think about it, if we trade up to 6, I'd rather take Landry or Adams, maybe Anderson. I'm not impressed with Branch or Okoye really, and neither will contribute much their rookie year anyways. I think we could do well picking up a DT in rounds 2 and 3.

The real question is if AD falls to 6, do we HAVE to take him?

Diehard
03-07-2007, 09:54 AM
The real question is if AD falls to 6, do we HAVE to take him?

Interesting... I think it would be awfully hard for Shanny to resist. A potential franchise back doesn't come along every day... and the way the team is improving right now, we're going to be picking in the lower half of the draft order for the forseeable future.

However, in terms of value, I still think you could go defense.

A4Qxxx
03-07-2007, 09:55 AM
If we trade up and can get Carriker or Adams, take them and look at McBean or Marcus Thomas in the 2nd.

If we can't get one of those stud DE's but have still traded up, we should almost certainly get Okoye.

However, I will be very happy if we stay where we are and take Demarcus Tyler. (See other stud DT with Tank as nickname... 2nd rounder for the Bears, despite his legal issues, a stud of a player! And Demarcus will be as well)

Actually, if I am playing GM, I am trading the whiney Bly right now for a high second. Packaging my first and a few third round picks and moving up to get Carriker in the first. Taking my high second I get for Bly and getting Demarcus Tyler. Two stud defensive lineman who get instant pressure on the QB is more valuable then ANY CB. And while Bly is better then Foxworth... Bly is not better in covering for 4 seconds then Foxworth is in covering for 3 seconds!

Diehard
03-07-2007, 10:15 AM

If you don't want one of the top tier DTs or a RBs, then there's very little reason to pay the price to trade up to 6. If you want a pass rush DE or safety, I suspect there will be a solid prospect available at 21.

Diehard
03-07-2007, 10:20 AM
However, I will be very happy if we stay where we are and take Demarcus Tyler. (See other stud DT with Tank as nickname... 2nd rounder for the Bears, despite his legal issues, a stud of a player! And Demarcus will be as well)

Hell, we could probably trade down and still get Tank Tyler at the end of the first / top of the second. Perhaps a swap with Detroit or Cleveland to give them multiple first rounders.

A4Qxxx
03-07-2007, 10:32 AM
I would be a fan of trading up for Okoye at DT.
But if we trade up and get Adams or Carriker, terrific! They are far better then any DE's we will land at 21.

I don't know how it can be done yet... (trading Bly to get one of those DE's and one of the top two DT's)

But this is my wish list, one of each:
DE-
Adams
Carriker

DT-
Okoye
Tank Tyler
Ryan McBean
Marcus Thomas

I do not believe any other DE on the board will be able to play from day one. (Well Anderson will, but not a big fan). But I do believe any of those four DT's will out perform Wilkinson and Veal to start immediately. Therefore, trade up for a DE, and get one of those 4 - DT later.

Jimmy
03-07-2007, 10:39 AM
This is why our Front Office Pisses me off. We go out and spend 30 Million on a Tight end who wont catch more than 40-50 passes. And thats asking a lot compared to his previous numbers. Basicly we spent the money on a blocking TE. Might as well spend 5 Million on a Long Snapper. And why would we do this? Scheffler might loose his starting job, and if he does, there goes a TE that could have been and was on his way to being great. And If scheffler wins, well... ****.. We're paying our Backup Tight-end 6 Million dollars a year. This might be one of the dumbest moves from a financial standpoint. I would have rather seen us blow the money on kerney and give him 8 million a year over 4 years or something. We needed to adress WR, OL, and DL, and we get some washed up 34 year old DT and Montrae Dutchland.

Things could be worse. We got Travis Henry and we're not Oakland.
Still

A4Qxxx
03-07-2007, 04:54 PM
NJX, you sound angry.

I never said Okoye and Branch won't beat out Veal and Wilkinson... they would, but so will any DT taken in the second or third round!

However, Lang and Ekuban are garbage. I never recall them putting a OT on his @$$ or speed rushing around the edge and getting to the QB before he can get to his third step. Maybe half of those lofty sack totals (1 every other game) is a coverage sack? Where Champ and Darrent had things locked down and it allowed Lang or Ekuban the 5 seconds they needed to tire an OT out with their patty cake games.
They are garbage!

And after the top three DE's most are garbage as well. That is why I say you take an Blue Chip DE early and not DT.

Drafting an "A" - DE in the first and a "B" - DT in the second makes a hell of a lot more sense to me then an "A"- DT in the first and a "C" - DE in the second.

Carriker and Tyler doesn't sound better then Okoye and Spencer?

Diehard
03-07-2007, 10:16 PM
double post...

Diehard
03-07-2007, 10:22 PM
If we keep our picks, there's no way in hell Tyler's going to be around for us to pick in the second round... he's out of the picture unless we take him at 21.

I agree with njx9, interior pass rush is the missing piece of the puzzle. Mind you, Carriker could provide that as he's big/strong enough to the DT spot on passing downs.

If I was Shanny, I'd go DT (or in Carriker's case, DT/DE) with my first two picks... a pair of young bulls to anchor the line for the next decade. Also lets the team dump Veal & Burton, which can only be a good thing.

diabsoule
03-07-2007, 10:53 PM
Don't know if this has been reported yet or not but:

QB Patrick Ramsey signed with the Broncos.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2791258

A4Qxxx
03-08-2007, 09:52 AM
Well then that's just it, we disagree with our biggest need is.

I will give Warren the benefit of the doubt that last year was really because of his toes and he can perform again this year like 2005. I believe we can find a very serviceable DT to pair with him in the second round and be solid at DT.

Where you think our huge group of DE's are serviceable, and I think they are garbage!

Clearly our DL is the biggest need all together, but I feel with Warren in the middle DT is a D- and DE's are an F.

mattrob
03-08-2007, 04:48 PM
yeah, demetrin veal is a much better option than kenard lang. michael myers was far better at pressuring the quarterback than elvis dumervil. i don't get the logic at all and you haven't said anything other than "it's my opinion" to back that up. that's fine if that's all it is, but i believe i originally wanted to know WHY people think our DEs need so much more work.

I can't speak for A4Qxxx, but to me it just comes down to the talent available. I don't like Branch at all as a prospect. He's big, but i just didn't see anything that impressed me when I watched him, though I'll admit that wasn't often. Okoye would be fine, but I'm not sure he really fits what Denver's trying to do under Bates. Anderson and Adams both seem to be potential difference-makers at DE and we could still get someone like Tank Tyler (who I think will be as effective a pro as Branch) or Marcus Thomas later in the draft.

Jimmy
03-08-2007, 09:26 PM
i heard the broncos are looking at antonio bryant... thoughts?

the way i see it, as long as he doesnt make any more than 2.5 a year, its cool

Jimmy
03-08-2007, 09:32 PM
mind you from a very unreliable source

Jimmy
03-08-2007, 10:33 PM
if he makes more than 1 a year i'll be annoyed. i just don't see him significantly improving the team in any way.

you know, i am pretty sure you already know, but the words patrick ramsey and 2.5 dont belong in the same sentence.

i think thats worse then giving bryant that type of money.

Jimmy
03-08-2007, 10:35 PM
still, neither should make that much...

elway777
03-08-2007, 11:31 PM
I bet the contract for Bryant will look insane, adding in his charachter and consistency concerns I would pass.

Jimmy
03-10-2007, 06:44 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_5390616

Welp... Wilkinson might play Snake and retire. W/e dont really want him

and oh yeah Bates likes tall DE's playing, so expect elvis dumervil to get LOADS of time

elway777
03-10-2007, 02:58 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_5390616

Welp... Wilkinson might play Snake and retire. W/e dont really want him

and oh yeah Bates likes tall DE's playing, so expect elvis dumervil to get LOADS of time

Nice way to waste a 6th rounder. ha

Jimmy
03-10-2007, 03:45 PM
Nice way to waste a 6th rounder. ha

o we wuld get the pick back

elway777
03-10-2007, 09:05 PM
o we wuld get the pick back

Alright guess I should of read the article.

mattrob
03-11-2007, 04:02 PM
fair enough. i tend to disagree (obviously) for similar reasons. i don't see our DEs as having been the problem. meanwhile, at no point have our DTs produced (even when he was healthy, warren wasn't much more than a big guy in the middle with no effect whatsoever on the pass rush).

i also see absolutely nothing in tyler that makes me think he's at the same level as branch or okoye (although again, a troop of girl scouts would likely make our DTs better at this point) and i certainly don't see it in a character failure like thomas. there are a few second tier guys who intrigue me (mcbean), but we need a stud at the spot, not another role player.

so i can agree to disagree with anyone who thinks that branch and okoye are NOT potential studs (though i'm still curious why), but i absolutely can't agree with anyone who thinks DE is the bigger need.

I'm not saying Okoye isn't going to be a very good pro, but he would excel in a scheme using quicker, attacking DT's. Bates prefers bigger DT's who will tie up the interior lineman and I just don't see that as a strength of Okoye. He could thrive elsewhere, though. As for Branch, I didn't watch a lot of him this past season, but what I did see didn't impress me. In the OSU game in particular, he spent a lot of time on the ground and didn't get much push. At 21, he's a nice pickup. In the top-10, I think he's a huge risk.

M
03-12-2007, 02:43 PM
Everyone has agreed on the fact that we will be taking either a DE or DT with our 1st round pick.

Shanahan seldom ever does with his first round pick, what we think he will do so, where does he go with the pick? Personally, I still think he does something unconventional like Safety (Reggie Nelson (S, FL)), or Offensive Line (Levi Brown (OT, PS)), or LB (Lawrence Timmons (LB, FSU) or Patrick Willis (LB, OlMs)) (Lynch will be gone so do not expect a RB) if any of these players fall to us. Do not put him trading down either if the option presents itself.

I am just saying, now that you are all sleeping well at night thinking Shanahan will take a DL, think again.

mattrob
03-12-2007, 06:35 PM
maybe my problem then is in not seeing bates scheme yet. but in all honesty, i haven't noticed a huge amount of difference in the last three DC's schemes (at least, in terms of our ability to pressure the QB ever), so I'm not sure there will be one now. and in pretty much all of the last three, the biggest problem has been our utter lack of anything with any vague measure of talent at DT (well, that and letting go of talented DEs).

if we draft a DE, i'll still be ecstatic that we're actually addressing the defensive line.

And I'd be happy picking up a DT early as well. It's past time we addressed the D-Line and I think we'll get 2 on Day One this year, hopefully they turn into something. Also, I read on another board we're bringing in Ian Scott for a visit. He's not the massive run-stuffer I'd like, but he's young and would fit nicely in a rotation.

mattrob
03-12-2007, 06:39 PM
Everyone has agreed on the fact that we will be taking either a DE or DT with our 1st round pick.

Shanahan seldom ever does with his first round pick, what we think he will do so, where does he go with the pick? Personally, I still think he does something unconventional like Safety (Reggie Nelson (S, FL)), or Offensive Line (Levi Brown (OT, PS)), or LB (Lawrence Timmons (LB, FSU) or Patrick Willis (LB, OlMs)) (Lynch will be gone so do not expect a RB) if any of these players fall to us. Do not put him trading down either if the option presents itself.

I am just saying, now that you are all sleeping well at night thinking Shanahan will take a DL, think again.

Actually, we've all agreed we WANT a DL in the 1st, but I tend to think we'll go elsewhere, then use a 2nd and 3rd on the line, unless Carriker somehow falls or we move up. I think any of the players you mentioned (with the exception of Timmons) are possiblities, as well as Meacham, Ginn or Bowe at WR. We may move out of round 1 altogether and try to stockpile future picks if there's a good offer out there, too.

Diehard
03-13-2007, 01:39 PM
I don't think taking either OL or a S in the first round would count as "unconventional", as they would both address needs. A lot will depend on the DL situation when Denver picks, if there is much better value at OL or S, expect Shanny to go for it.

LB, on the other hand, would be very unexpected... and given the present situation, undesirable. I don't see that happening unless we trade one of our veterans away for additional picks (rather than moving up).

bennybee38
03-13-2007, 10:31 PM
i know this isnt the team mock thread but who cares. honestly.heres my denver mock...just wanna know what you guys think

1ST ROUND - defensive end - Victor Abiamiri
2ND ROUND - offensive tackle - James Marten
3RD ROUND - defensive tackle - Ola Dagunduro
3RD ROUND - safety - Josh Gattis
4TH ROUND - offensive guard - Andy Alleman
5TH ROUND - defensive end - Baraka Atkins
6TH ROUND - cornerback - Marquice Cole
7TH ROUND - defensive tackle - Clifton Ryan

Diehard
03-14-2007, 04:24 PM
The focus on OL & DL is the right direction, but I can't say I'd be happy with this draft. 2 & 3a are major reaches. In general, it seems like a low talent level across the board. A tweener guy like Atkins doesn't really fit Bates' system (not big enough for DT, nor a good enough rusher for DE). Draft is pretty deep at S - seems like we could get a better one that Gattis in the 3rd.

i know this isnt the team mock thread but who cares. honestly.heres my denver mock...just wanna know what you guys think

1ST ROUND - defensive end - Victor Abiamiri
2ND ROUND - offensive tackle - James Marten
3RD ROUND - defensive tackle - Ola Dagunduro
3RD ROUND - safety - Josh Gattis
4TH ROUND - offensive guard - Andy Alleman
5TH ROUND - defensive end - Baraka Atkins
6TH ROUND - cornerback - Marquice Cole
7TH ROUND - defensive tackle - Clifton Ryan

bennybee38
03-14-2007, 08:23 PM
A tweener guy like Atkins doesn't really fit Bates' system (not big enough for DT, nor a good enough rusher for DE).

all im saying is Atkins is bigger and faster than Kenard Land and Ebenzer Ekuban. His passrush is probably just as good as Ekubans

A4Qxxx
03-15-2007, 09:25 AM
Option A:
1st Adam Carriker - DE
2nd Demarcus Tyler - DT
3a Ryan McBean - DT
3b Aaron Rouse S
4th Steve Smith WR
5th Kasey Studdard - OG
6th Mike Otto - OT
7th Ramzee Robinson CB

Option B:
1st Amobi Akoye - DT
2nd Demarcus Tyler - DT
3a Tim Crowder - DE
3b Aaron Rouse S
4th Steve Smith WR
5th Kasey Studdard - OG
6th Mike Otto - OT
7th Ramzee Robinson - CB

bennybee38
03-15-2007, 02:12 PM
well Scott has the Broncos getting Spencer, Marten, Piscitelli, and Thomas in 3 rounds..I like the Marten and Spencer pick but instead of Piscitelli and Thomas..I think Brandon Mebane and then John Wendling are better picks.

mattrob
03-15-2007, 05:37 PM
Option A:
1st Adam Carriker - DE
2nd Demarcus Tyler - DT
3a Ryan McBean - DT
3b Aaron Rouse S
4th Steve Smith WR
5th Kasey Studdard - OG
6th Mike Otto - OT
7th Ramzee Robinson CB

Option B:
1st Amobi Akoye - DT
2nd Demarcus Tyler - DT
3a Tim Crowder - DE
3b Aaron Rouse S
4th Steve Smith WR
5th Kasey Studdard - OG
6th Mike Otto - OT
7th Ramzee Robinson - CB

Carriker and Okoye will be long gone before we pick and we don't have a 4th or a 5th this year.

elway777
03-15-2007, 08:51 PM
well Scott has the Broncos getting Spencer, Marten, Piscitelli, and Thomas in 3 rounds..I like the Marten and Spencer pick but instead of Piscitelli and Thomas..I think Brandon Mebane and then John Wendling are better picks.

Mebane maybe, but Piscetelli is a great player. He's alot like John Wendling but I like his potential more.

Diehard
03-19-2007, 04:50 PM
Thomas > Mebane in terms of potential, but there are crushing character issues that make Thomas a very risky pick.

I'd be happy with either Wendling or Piscitelli. Both are big, smart players who work hard and have the right amount of nastiness. Lynch would be a great example / teacher for both these guys, which would help the transition at S that is going to happen as Lynch's career winds down.

Jimmy
03-20-2007, 07:45 PM
http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8400&ATCLID=829616

were going to draft gary russell?
i think there is a STRONG possibility, after all

1. minnesota runs the ZBS
2. shanahan will talk to brewster and brewster will give him the word, because brewster has connections with guys who coached russell
3. we have wanted to draft HB'S (maroney) and have drafted linemen (eslinger) who run the ZBS
4. russell was an up and comer when he played
russell will fall into our laps in the 7th, hell we may reach towards his direction in the 6th
5. we drafted clarrett after he ran what he did (so dont give me crap, anything can happen)

Diehard
03-20-2007, 09:21 PM
I certainly wouldn't put it past Shanny to fish for a late round RB prospect. However, there are a lot of guys I'd look at before Russell. More than anyone, he needed to stay focused on football and make a good showing for the scouts. Instead, he got way out of shape and looked bad. Not a great sign if you ask me.

smittyjs
03-20-2007, 10:10 PM
Marcus Nash what was his deal, just a plain bust or why did he fail?? Sorry for being ramdom....LOL

jag
03-20-2007, 10:30 PM
So with all the moves you guys have made in FA to improve the Offense, is it safe to say the first day of your daft will be Dline/Oline with all of your picks? Or are there still some other major needs elsewhere?

Diehard
03-20-2007, 10:42 PM
So with all the moves you guys have made in FA to improve the Offense, is it safe to say the first day of your daft will be Dline/Oline with all of your picks? Or are there still some other major needs elsewhere?

The lines better be the priority, or there's going to be a rebellion in Broncoland...

Safety is another area that might get addressed. Lynch can't last forever (or can he?) and we don't have a lot of depth. If Denver sits at 21, that may be the best value available (Nelson, Griffin, Meriweather).

Jimmy
03-21-2007, 11:51 AM
Marcus Nash what was his deal, just a plain bust or why did he fail?? Sorry for being ramdom....LOL

idk, but it sure wasn't talent, he is one of Arena Football leagues top 10 recievers in every single category practically

http://www.arenafootball.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=19831&SPID=1551&DB_OEM_ID=3500&ATCLID=96443

smittyjs
03-21-2007, 04:56 PM
idk, but it sure wasn't talent, he is one of Arena Football leagues top 10 recievers in every single category practically

http://www.arenafootball.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=19831&SPID=1551&DB_OEM_ID=3500&ATCLID=96443He an Thanks for the info jimmy and and nxj9.

M
03-21-2007, 11:40 PM
I could easily see us trading out of the first round this year for "future picks." I would not be upset because unlike most I think our biggest concern is S over the DL. Lynch is a liability, DL is comptent but not a liability. My opinon that others disagree with.

Do not be suprised if Bly is on the block and traded prior to the draft.

Chris
03-22-2007, 09:22 AM
i also am starting to strongly believe, however disgusted it makes me, that we will not be picking in the first round this year. we should be right up against the cap, and i just can't see us being able to sign a high end rookie and i don't see the value at any positions of need if we stand pat.

Haven't been around much these days and rarely came on, but this post just made me chuckle.

Broncos fans year in and year out keep on talking about the cap and how they cannot afford certain players. Look, the Denver Broncos have brought in what, around ten free agents this off-season in to compete. Travis Henry and Daniel Graham alone cost upwards of around 50 million dollars over the course of their careers. Add into that, Dre' Bly - who has a five million dollar cap figure and Patrick Ramsey who will be making a couple million each year as a back-up, the other guys each got signed to contracts around a million dollars each. If Denver wants to do something, they'll go after it.

The salary of someone at #21 will probably be what, a five year deal - five million dollar signing bonus and maybe 7 to 8 million dollars in base salary around that. I'd probably say it'd max out at fifteen million dollars. The only reason Denver won't draft in the first is if they opt to spin out if they feel that no impact pass rusher has value at #21 or a secondary option they have is not there. Trading out of the first-round actually isn't a bad idea, but by no means is it for financial reasons.

The Broncos have been in talks (not just rumors, it's actually true) with Washington and Detroit for their respective picks. Granted, that dumping Bly would save money on our cap and getting rid of Wilson if he were to go to Detroit would save money too. If Denver wants something, they'll take it. It's time that Denver fans stop worrying about the cap and all that jargon, a year or two from now - all the dead money will be gone. Even with the contracts signed this year, Denver is still poised to have MORE money next year to play around with.

Chris
03-22-2007, 09:28 AM
I could easily see us trading out of the first round this year for "future picks." I would not be upset because unlike most I think our biggest concern is S over the DL. Lynch is a liability, DL is comptent but not a liability. My opinon that others disagree with.

Do not be suprised if Bly is on the block and traded prior to the draft.

The Broncos were considering safety last year in the first-round, and they had no idea that Jay Cutler would fall to them. As it turns out, it was revealed that Shanahan loved Donte Whitner and it was his back-up to Maroney at fifteen had a deal not happened which gave us Jay Cutler. So I think you're right that safety is a huge need, but whether or not it's bigger than defensive line is questionable.

A few sources have revealed that the Broncos have bought extensive film on defensive lineman, offensive tackles and defensive backs - in particular safeties. It's pretty clear where Denver is going to go on draft day, but WHEN they're going to select those options is completely up in the air.

I could see Denver taking a kid like Michael Griffin at #21. They could possible move up and take Reggie Nelson. What Denver needs, in Bates' defense - is a pure ball-hawk to manage deep halves of the field in case the corners get beat in man-to-man. Griffin can play either spot in the NFL. There is also value in the second and third rounds at this position as well, so maybe we don't have to pull the trigger right there in the first.

Griffin is a high priority pick for the Broncos. He's a great leader, a special teams ace and is solid in run support and pretty good in coverage. He fits all the criteria the Broncos look for when making a selection and would be a damn good one.

It's still true that Bly could be traded, but the team will have to compensate accordingly. Washington doesn't have the second-round or other round picks of interest to do a deal just straight up, so the likely event (which is unlikely, but the most likely of events for Bly to be traded) is a Denver move to #6, which would include at least #21, #56 and Bly - and probably a future third-rounder or so.

All that aside, the Broncos will be looking to upgrade the aforementioned positions on draft day. I still say, don't sleep on receiver, because the signings of Stokley, etc. are just insurance in case Rod can't recover full-time. Denver needs younger guys for the future, and if the value is there - I'd expect Shanahan to take it.

Chris
03-22-2007, 09:33 AM
Brewster wouldn't have any knowledge of Russell being at Minnesota since he just got there and since he wasn't on the team, there are probably only a few coaches left or players that have something to say about him, and in the unlikely event that they got quality information, I'm sure most would be actually negative regarding a player who couldn't make the field because of academic problems.

Russell is not Maurice Clarett, but the Broncos don't need to even take another risk. I was speechless when Marion Barber III, was there at #101 (compensatory third-rounder) and we passed on him. Look at him now. Just another draft blunder by Shanahan.

What this could help the Broncos with are guys like Amir Pinnix and Ernie Wheelwright, who are elligible for the draft next year (I'm positive they are both seniors) and could be selections for the Broncos as late-day one or middle-round prospects. The Broncos Coaching Tree under Shanahan keeps getting bigger, and it certainly helps.

Number 10
03-22-2007, 07:14 PM
Looks like the Giants are looking to acquire Al Wilson and the talks between the 2 teams are heating up.

What do you think Shanny is interested in for Wilson?

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
03-22-2007, 07:31 PM
Looks like the Giants are looking to acquire Al Wilson and the talks between the 2 teams are heating up.

What do you think Shanny is interested in for Wilson?

Well I really hope we don't trade him. He's one of the big leaders of our defense. But if we did trade him, I'd say:

Time machine
Rights to Lawrence Taylor

That would do it for me.

scottyboy
03-22-2007, 07:32 PM
haha yea please, if we had that time machine, im not so sure we'd be trading it away lol we could sure use LT ourselves

03-22-2007, 08:09 PM
haha yea please, if we had that time machine, im not so sure we'd be trading it away lol we could sure use LT ourselves

http://www.seinfeld-fan.net/pictures/episodes/the_soup_nazi/the_soup_nazi017.jpg

NO AL WILSON FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!

Jimmy
03-27-2007, 02:51 PM

being good in the afl means absoltuely nothing in terms of nfl caliber talent, i didn't think that would've needed mentioning.

well, i never said he had nfl caliber talent.. did i? quote me.. and second did say he had talent... dont get me wrong, he sucked, but he Was a first round draft pick and a star at Tennessee... that requires some talent...
and "i didn't think that would've needed mentioning."

i mean its the equivalent of saying ryan leaf had no talent, or maybe more closely compared, charles rogers. Just because their game didn't translate into the pro level doesn't mean they lack talent. Their ethic may have been bad, they may have not had intangibles, but i think talent is out of the question. they were college stars. Marcus just didnt have what others had which is drive to be a great nfl player.

Diehard
03-27-2007, 04:00 PM
anyone want to make some sort of wager that we will not address the DL until at least round 5? i know we don't have a pick currently in that round.

I would laugh at this... but it has that all-too-close-to-the-truth ring to it that leaves me feeling uneasy. Shanny has tried to get by with a second-rate (third? fourth?) DL for a long time... is there any reason to believe he'll change his evil ways this time around?

If Wilson is gone, I suspect Shanny will be looking for a strong side linebacker on day 1... perhaps even round 1 (Timmons?). That would certainly be more in character for him, as he seems to value LBs. Defensive back or receiver in round 2 wouldn't be shocking either, so it could be in the 3rd before DL is even considered.

elway777
03-27-2007, 10:35 PM
NJX, outside of the first round, what positions do you see us addressing on day one?

M
04-03-2007, 12:28 AM
UFA - when can they actually contact them to offer a position as a UFA if they do not get drafted? Does anyone know the rules on this or is it prohibited until after the draft to make this offer?

Romance Taylor (PR and practice squad RB)

Melvin Bullitt, S, Texas A&M (6-1, 201 pounds)
Key numbers: 4.48 40-yard dash, 40-inch vertical jump, 3.97 short shuttle, 10-5 broad jump
Look at the SS time

M
04-03-2007, 07:40 PM
Slow times on the draft front apparently!

M
04-04-2007, 12:34 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2824469

Apparently NE can match in next 7 days however terms are not release, and no details if a poision pill contained in language.

M
04-04-2007, 10:32 PM
The question actually relates to the issue of when can you enter a contact with a player. Can you contact a player before the draft and offer them a contract IF they do not get drafted. Can you have the player sign this contract prior to the draft? Does this violate any NFL rules to make this offer prior to the draft on the condition that a prospect goes undrafted. I seems that about 50 players announce their signings right within hours after the draft. The question is want to know is have any of these undrafted prospects signed the contract with the teams that pick them up after the draft prior to the draft on the condition that it obviously only goes into effect if they are undrafted, or again, does this violate the NFL rules?

If it is not illegal why not offer the prospects that you think are late rounders a contract now on the condition that they may not get drafted (such as Ramonce Taylor and Melvin Bullitt). If they get drafted, no big deal and it costs you nothing. If they go undrafted you have their rights and these are "perfect" special team / practice squad player (in that they cost next to nothing and every year an undrafted free agent seems to make the team as a backup (see Bell from Arizona last year), or as a great 2 year project to see if they develop.

If they suck, you cut them and it costs you pennies on the dollar to find out.

KBear
04-05-2007, 08:39 AM
I was under the impression that teams did contact prospects towards the end of the draft that they would be interested in signing them if they go undrafted. I dont know about negotitating deals before the draft ends though.

04-06-2007, 09:18 PM
Sauerbrun pwns. I want him bad.

elway777
04-07-2007, 10:29 PM
I don't know if anyone cares, but Mike Bell has switched his number to 30.

Jimmy
04-08-2007, 06:54 AM
I don't know if anyone cares, but Mike Bell has switched his number to 30.

meh, terrell was our best RB ever, and theres not a lot we can do, its just a #.. i guess trav henry bought #20 of bell

M
04-09-2007, 11:35 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2831360

Pats match Broncos' offer to hold on to Sauerbrun

M
04-10-2007, 12:01 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=rZxNeFLuY98

I remember most of these picks unfortunately, but this video clip never gets old.

Diehard
04-10-2007, 03:36 PM
Not getting Sauerbrun is unfortunate. Seemed like a lot of money, but our special teams were a disaster last year. Winning the field position war is an important, but often overlooked, piece of the puzzle.

elway777
04-10-2007, 09:02 PM
Field position is gonna kill us next year.

ripdw27
04-12-2007, 07:13 PM
we should consider mason crosby in the draft, i realize he aint a punter but elam is getting up there in age could help us in fp if he kicks off at games

M
04-12-2007, 10:14 PM
Mason Crosby would be a good pick-up for kick-offs and the future. He will not likely fall to 3rd but could be a consistent player like Elam for 15 years for a team.

This is worth watching:

http://glumbert.com/media/peyton

M
04-13-2007, 12:47 PM
A loutish thing to say, especially from our moderator. A simple apology would be appropriate.

When you say moronic did you mean that I was a person who is notably stupid, or did you mean that I was a person of borderline intelligence in a former classification of mental retardation. I am, apparently in your opinion, not smart enought to figure it out!

Mason Crosby would be a sound choice if available in the 3rd round. I did not suggest he be taken in the 2nd round as you intentionally, and willfully, misrepresented ("a 2nd or 3rd round pick") in your response to my comment.

The reason is simple - if Crosby is the weapon that he was in college (19-21 30-39 yards and 13 -16 40-49 yards in last two years), he is worthy of a 3rd round. Incidentially, he was also 51 - 51 in extra points over the same time-frame.

If Crosby is a bust, it was worth the 3rd round pick for a potential kicker for the next 10 years. If you bring Crosby into camp and he pushes Elam great. If Crosby is a very solid kicker, you will always have a market to trade him either during pre-season or during the regular season. If he is as good, or better than the 37 year old Elam, keep Crosby and trade Elam during the regular season, or during the pre-season. Elam would be a certain 2nd round pick in the 2008 draft on the open-market.

But those are just my feeble-minded remarks.

ripdw27
04-13-2007, 11:25 PM
A loutish thing to say, especially from our moderator. A simple apology would be appropriate.

When you say moronic did you mean that I was a person who is notably stupid, or did you mean that I was a person of borderline intelligence in a former classification of mental retardation. I am, apparently in your opinion, not smart enought to figure it out!

Mason Crosby would be a sound choice if available in the 3rd round. I did not suggest he be taken in the 2nd round as you intentionally, and willfully, misrepresented ("a 2nd or 3rd round pick") in your response to my comment.

The reason is simple - if Crosby is the weapon that he was in college (19-21 30-39 yards and 13 -16 40-49 yards in last two years), he is worthy of a 3rd round. Incidentially, he was also 51 - 51 in extra points over the same time-frame.

If Crosby is a bust, it was worth the 3rd round pick for a potential kicker for the next 10 years. If you bring Crosby into camp and he pushes Elam great. If Crosby is a very solid kicker, you will always have a market to trade him either during pre-season or during the regular season. If he is as good, or better than the 37 year old Elam, keep Crosby and trade Elam during the regular season, or during the pre-season. Elam would be a certain 2nd round pick in the 2008 draft on the open-market.

But those are just my feeble-minded remarks.

dido njx9....

Jimmy
04-14-2007, 07:30 AM
Elam would be a certain 2nd round pick in the 2008 draft on the open-market.

are you serious?

Jimmy
04-14-2007, 08:18 AM
i do suppose we will trade up with houston to #10, as houston will probably want joe staley a bit later.

my thoughs would be that we could consider Pat Willis, Anderson, or carriker here, hell even levi brown

i would also kill for david harris later

ripdw27
04-14-2007, 12:09 PM
i do suppose we will trade up with houston to #10, as houston will probably want joe staley a bit later.

my thoughs would be that we could consider Pat Willis, Anderson, or carriker here, hell even levi brown

i would also kill for david harris later

what do you think we would offer houston for the 10 spot

Jimmy
04-14-2007, 02:52 PM
what do you think we would offer houston for the 10 spot

im no good with pick value, you would have to ask njx or chris

edit: i'd assume the bulk of the trade value would come from players, and not picks, as i'm sure there is a guy or two who kubiak wishes he could have brought along with him

Jimmy
04-14-2007, 06:03 PM
does anybody know of the players whom we've already had visits with, or those who are expected to visit??

ripdw27
04-14-2007, 07:57 PM
look on the team website

M
04-15-2007, 01:42 PM
Any thoughts on Lance Briggs (6'1" 240 lbs - 26 years old) coming to Broncos? It would make the post AL transition much easier.

Does anybody really think the odds are any greater at this point in time than 50 - 50 on Shanahan actually keep the 21st pick or trading it (obviously depending upon who falls in the draft if we hold onto the pick that long)?

Jimmy
04-15-2007, 02:10 PM
Any thoughts on Lance Briggs (6'1" 240 lbs - 26 years old) coming to Broncos? It would make the post AL transition much easier.

Does anybody really think the odds are any greater at this point in time than 50 - 50 on Shanahan actually keep the 21st pick or trading it (obviously depending upon who falls in the draft if we hold onto the pick that long)?

we dont have enough cap room...

Jimmy
04-16-2007, 11:20 AM
you wanna know what gets me?

i hate how people automatically jump on the broncos when we release or loose someone

Al Wilson is released and suddenly every person on the board has Jon Beason going to us... when its obviously not the first priority.

Darrent Williams dies and every person has us taking a first round CB

Hell, I've even seen people give us a WR in rd 1, and guards

Jimmy
04-16-2007, 02:28 PM
guys... i just wanted to give you the option of using this sig...
I know this is sorta stupid but i made this.. if you feel like using it for the day i think it would be respectful to use it

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o94/jgbiii/nfldcsig-1.jpg

JCutlery
04-16-2007, 03:46 PM
Thanks Jimmy.

Jimmy
04-18-2007, 06:30 AM
http://blogs.theage.com.au/music/crickets.jpg

JCutlery
04-18-2007, 04:39 PM
The "Special Master" ruled in favor of Sauerbrun, making him a free agent. He's as good as ours.. :)

Jimmy
04-18-2007, 04:50 PM
The "Special Master" ruled in favor of Sauerbrun, making him a free agent. He's as good as ours.. :)

arright. sweet.

ripdw27
04-18-2007, 10:04 PM
did we sign him yet?

04-18-2007, 10:21 PM
I've never gotten this excited over a punter in my life.

superPHREAK
04-19-2007, 07:55 AM
All I know is he has one heck of a leg. Hopefully he can stay off the pills!!

Jimmy
04-24-2007, 06:03 AM
please boycott bill freakin' williamson
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_5733709

M
04-26-2007, 06:32 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2849934

Arbitrator tells Lelie to repay $600,000 in bonus money

Severe Punishment
04-30-2007, 11:46 AM
I need help.
I can't remember what all was given up by the Broncos last year to move up to get Jay Cutler.
Can someone show me a link or tell me what the entire deal was plz ?

JCutlery
05-01-2007, 05:17 PM
so what does moss mean to our team next year? is dumervil no longer the rush specialist, given that without gaining some weight/strength/time in the league, it doesn't look like moss can DE for 3 downs?

I believe we will use both Dumervil and Moss on passing downs.

JCutlery
05-01-2007, 06:04 PM
Sorry for the double post, but it appears the Broncos have signed OG Tim Duckworth out of Auburn. Nice pickup, imo.

Severe Punishment
05-01-2007, 09:24 PM
hello ? anyone...does anyone know what all was given up for the "Jay Cutler" slot in the first round last year ? and who the trade was with.

Severe Punishment
05-01-2007, 09:31 PM
So if it took "so little effort" then why ***** so much about it

JCutlery
05-02-2007, 08:41 AM
Are you incapable of doing things for yourself?

ripdw27
05-02-2007, 04:46 PM
is it really that hard to google somn i mean come on you could have easily found the details yourself then waiting what 4 days and taking **** from ppl here... come on man

ripdw27
05-02-2007, 04:48 PM
CutlerChris - about your sig... it was a diet pepsi vending machine... lol just lettin ya kno

Jimmy
05-02-2007, 09:06 PM
great video of champ..

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=609&videoID=1586
quoting rod smith

"i call him yoda cause he knows where the hell the ball is going before its thrown"

Jimmy
05-03-2007, 10:55 AM
Evalutating our team...

if every thing goes as expected... what is stoping us from being the best team in the league.. injuries?

if cutler has the breakout a lot of people think he will have (3,500 yards 20 TD, which isnt unreasonable)... our pass offense will be great... and if henry has an average bronco season (1,200 yards) we will have a top 5 offense in the league, adding on to the cutler numbers

seriously... what i have just said isnt that unreasonable.. one of the two will probably happen and the other one will come damn close.... and on defense... well have a top 15 run defense, and a top 20 pass defense... if bly plays decent and we get a pass rush... we have an unbelivable team...

the only thing, once again, are those injuries, and being able to rack up TDS.

Im worried that Cutler will throw for 3,500 yards, but Javon will be the ONLY one to step up, and he'll have like 15 TDS... but The rest of the team will have 2,000 yards combined, and our second leading reciever will have 40 catches.

JCutlery
05-03-2007, 03:41 PM
assuming we'll have a pass rush because we added a couple of rookies is a bit of a stretch, although i get your point.

regardless, the patriots would be keeping us from being the best team in the league.

But, if anyone has the advantage on them, it's us. We've consistently beat them the past 3 years. I know they've added some players, but so have we.

Regardless, I am in agreement that they are the favorite to win the Super Bowl this year.

Our focus should be the Colts, though that may be the prime reasoning in acquiring Bly.

ripdw27
05-03-2007, 09:13 PM
as badly as i wanted reggie nelson, i think our secondary will be fine this year, we have two pro bowl corners, a pro bowl safety and an up n coming saefty. im unsure of our linebackers, what exactly is the sit.? whos playin sam mike n will?

ripdw27
05-03-2007, 09:27 PM
dominique foxworth... aint he playin safety for us

ripdw27
05-03-2007, 09:32 PM
great video of champ..

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=609&videoID=1586
quoting rod smith

"i call him yoda cause he knows where the hell the ball is going before its thrown"

darrent williams is on that video r.i.p....btw are we gonna have any special tributes to nash n williams this season?

05-03-2007, 09:39 PM
darrent williams is on that video r.i.p....btw are we gonna have any special tributes to nash n williams this season?

There should definitely be those circled 27s and 29s on every helmet.

ripdw27
05-05-2007, 12:41 PM
not that i'd heard, and hopefully not at all unless bates has enough sense to NOT play him as the run support safety. i still have no idea what was going through coyer's head when he did that.

so foxworth is gonna stay as 3rd string corner, correct

ripdw27
05-05-2007, 12:46 PM
But, if anyone has the advantage on them, it's us. We've consistently beat them the past 3 years. I know they've added some players, but so have we.

Regardless, I am in agreement that they are the favorite to win the Super Bowl this year.

Our focus should be the Colts, though that may be the prime reasoning in acquiring Bly.

the colts were our main reason to get champ bailey

JCutlery
05-05-2007, 10:21 PM
so foxworth is gonna stay as 3rd string corner, correct

Yea, he's the nickel.

ripdw27
05-06-2007, 09:03 PM
k thanks 10char

Jimmy
05-07-2007, 07:28 AM
First, I think it would be cool for a mod to trim down the threads and only keep the ones that are current

Secondly, it just occured to me that Broncos Mini-Camp starts in friggin July. We are one of 2 teams that does not have mini-camp in May.

That other team? Gary Kubiak's Houston Texans, who will hold theirs in June.
Obviously, Kubiak likes the idea of having mini-camp later, I'm just not sure of the advantages.

Anyone know what #'s the rookies will wear?
Jarvis Moss 95 or 96?
Tim Crowder 95 or 96?
Ryan Harris- 72?
Marcus Thomas- 77?

JCutlery
05-10-2007, 07:16 PM
According to DenverBroncos.com..

#95 Jarvis Moss
#96 Tim Crowder
#74 Ryan Harris
#77 Marcus Thomas

ripdw27
05-10-2007, 09:57 PM
i also saw that travis henry will wear 20 and mike bell 30

Jimmy
05-12-2007, 07:57 AM
i also saw that travis henry will wear 20 and mike bell 30

yeah... and i think its cool that someone is wearing TD's # again.. maybe bell will explode.

Jimmy
05-12-2007, 08:09 AM
also.. interesting fact.. we have a linebacker that cant wear the #'s 50-59 or 90-99 since all are taken...

someone will be cut

Jimmy
05-12-2007, 08:12 AM
also, acccording to denverbroncos.com depth chart

Dj williams is still at sam...

JCutlery
05-12-2007, 11:46 AM
also, acccording to denverbroncos.com depth chart

Dj williams is still at sam...

No worries, that depth chart hasn't been updated since the end of our season. They will likely release a new one before or after training camp.

M
05-15-2007, 06:30 PM
Broncos Mini-Camp is wisely set late for a reason. The rookies currently have playbooks and access to coaching staff (to understand what is expected of them and encouraged to ask questions now) and facilities to work-out (as in get yourself in shape).

The Broncos expect that their rookies will be ready to know their assignments by mini-camp. The mini-camps that are set this month require the new players walk-through the plays, rather than know what reads and audibles mean. (If you recall Cutler was trying to digest the playbook to be prepared for mini-camp last year). You will notice the Broncos mini-camp has more live drills or scrimmages rather than teams that are in mini-camp now where they have individual position workouts. It just seems more productive to have the mini-camp later.

Last year I believe John Clayton wrote an article on this issue and cited several teams that are considering moving their mini-camps later for these very reasons.

M
05-17-2007, 03:01 PM
Stat of the week: Denver coach Mike Shanahan has dumped his leading rusher after each of the past four seasons. Tatum Bell rushed for 1,025 yards last year, and he was traded to Detroit this spring in the deal that brought the Broncos cornerback Dre' Bly. Mike Anderson was released after posting 1,014 yards in 2005. In 2004, Reuben Droughns ran for 1,240 yards and was traded to Cleveland for defensive end Ebenezer Ekuban and defensive tackle Michael Myers. And in 2003, Clinton Portis was swapped to Washington for cornerback Champ Bailey after rushing for 1,591 yards.

Jimmy
05-17-2007, 08:51 PM
sucks for travis henry.

while we're on the subject, assuming mcfadden is drafted top five, is there any back yoiu guys would want? i'm surprised by the number of people who are giving us a running back (clearly it's early, but i would've figured the henry signing made that less of a possibility). i've also seen people argue that slaton doesn't fit our scheme. i'm curious as to why.

shanahan loves a one cut runner that can pound the ball, and doesn't do all this flashy juke bullcrap. slaton wouldn't provide an upgrade to henry in the ZBS. maybe im missing something here. care to enlighten me? I would love to get a guy like marlon lucky, as he has good size and speed, and is agile. seems like he has good vision, and could be an effective 5 yard per carry guy. lets see if he can stay healthy

Jimmy
05-19-2007, 09:21 AM
guys.. a broncos player broke his foot and worse case scenario, if it doesnt heal that fast, will miss preseason

i will say this.. its either Tony Scheffler, Brandon Marshall, Travis Henry, or Javon Walker.. make ur guesses.

http://www.rotowire.com/roto_to_gnews.htm?ID=122433&sport=nfl

this is never, ever good, when a young developing player gets hurt, but i am glad that it happened now rather then later. graham should also get some more reps which is beneficial, but this is bad news overall obviously

05-19-2007, 10:23 AM
Well that blows. Scheffler was our 2nd best weapon last year with Jay. Marshall will need to step it up, which I'm confident he can, if effects linger for a while. We've got the makings of a GREAT young offense, I just realised. You got Mike Bell(if he can become great), Cutler, Marshall and Scheffler and Walker is still only like 27 or 28.

Jimmy
05-21-2007, 06:24 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_5949715

Kircus, 27, turned himself in at 10:15 a.m. today and was charged with second-degree assault, a Class 4 felony, according to the sheriff's office.

Shanahan said Kircus will be released from the team if he is found guilty of

causing the multiple broken bones in Krieger's face.

M
05-21-2007, 11:21 PM
With regards from Kircus, Harvey will be handling the case. He will take care of it so worst case is a misd. or a deferred on a felony depending upon injury (orbital bone) and an investigation into owners dirty laundry (how much alcohol, drugs etc).

On an unrelated issue, does anybody else think that Clinton Portis is an idiot?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2878099

Jimmy
05-22-2007, 05:35 PM
With regards from Kircus, Harvey will be handling the case. He will take care of it so worst case is a misd. or a deferred on a felony depending upon injury (orbital bone) and an investigation into owners dirty laundry (how much alcohol, drugs etc).

On an unrelated issue, does anybody else think that Clinton Portis is an idiot?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2878099

http://www.denverbroncos.com/resources/custom/Images/Top%20Stories/2003/portis_031207.jpg
a picture is worth a thousand words

elway777
05-23-2007, 04:30 PM
Who do you guys think is gonna be our returner this year?

Brian Clark didn't really cut it last year. I could see Mike Bell at kick return with maybe David Kircus or Dre bly at pr.

JCutlery
05-24-2007, 05:19 PM
Domenik Hixon.

M
05-24-2007, 11:20 PM
The punt returner battle will not be won on paper but based upon results between Smith, Stokley, Quincy Morgan or Domenik Hixon (but I am voting for Morgan until proven otherwise). Mike Klis, Denver Post Staff Writer, wrote that Marshall will be tried out as PR but I doubt that. He is too valuable as a reciever to have in at PR (think Smith a few years ago).

Not a very impressive article:
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_5971511?source=rss

bearfan
05-28-2007, 09:52 AM
Las Vegas Review Journal... Actress Gabrielle Union, dining with Denver Broncos wide receiver Javon Walker at N9ne (Palms) on Friday.

Way to go Javon!

Jimmy
05-30-2007, 06:44 AM
Eddie freakin' moore is running with the first team at OLB
:)

AlexDown
06-05-2007, 11:44 AM
Njx9, could you clear your inbox? Can't seem to send you a PM.

neko4
06-09-2007, 07:34 PM
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10216

Neo claims that Manning>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Elway

elway777
06-10-2007, 03:52 PM
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10216

Neo claims that Manning>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Elway

Instigator :/

M
06-16-2007, 12:26 AM
AH the slowest time of the year!

Prognostications on the final season wins and loses record (be specific with schedule) should spark an occasional post.

What are the thoughts on which DT will not make the team?

LDT RDT
A. McKinley G. Warren
J. Kennedy S. Adams
D. Veal M. Thomas
A. Burton

JCutlery
06-16-2007, 12:51 PM
AH the slowest time of the year!

Prognostications on the final season wins and loses record (be specific with schedule) should spark an occasional post.

What are the thoughts on which DT will not make the team?

LDT RDT
A. McKinley G. Warren
J. Kennedy S. Adams
D. Veal M. Thomas
A. Burton

For some reason, I don't see McKinley making the team. Burton will probably be signed to the practice squad again.

Chris
06-20-2007, 04:43 PM
I delegate God to see God.

JCutlery
06-21-2007, 11:56 PM
Greg Eslinger selected to All-NFL Europa team.

link (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=6889)

Big whoop, I know. But, Erik Pears was selected to the same honor a year ago, and he managed to contribute during the regular season. Congrats to Greg.

elway777
06-22-2007, 12:01 AM
I actually tuned in to NFLE this season to catch how Greg was doing. He really held his own every down. He plays to the whistle,... and well a little after every play.

smittyjs
06-25-2007, 07:00 PM
Did Cutler get in trouble with the Law last night or something, i swear i heard something on the NFL channel about it, but couldn't find any information.

JCutlery
06-26-2007, 12:04 PM
that would suck..

Ravens1991
06-27-2007, 12:04 AM
What do you all think Travis Henrys # will be this season for you guys?

Chris
07-02-2007, 12:24 AM
I know I don't post here often or anymore, but I did start up a Broncos Blog for people to view.

www.broncosdraft.wordpress.com

With work, school, social life, blog and two other forums I frequent, NFLDC has fallen out of favor as well as FF.

I miss you guys.

Hope all is well.

I'll try and check in from time to time.

NJX, keep pwning newbs.

-- Chris

elway777
07-07-2007, 12:16 AM
haven't heard that at all.. *shrug*

i did run into him and a big posse at the bars a couple of weekends ago, so a drunk and disorderly would hardly surprise me.

Did you get a chance to touch him? Or breath his air?

M
07-07-2007, 11:05 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2928032

Denver Broncos defensive end Kenny Peterson has been suspended without pay for violating the NFL's steroid policy, the team said Friday.

Namy
07-08-2007, 06:12 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2928032

Denver Broncos defensive end Kenny Peterson has been suspended without pay for violating the NFL's steroid policy, the team said Friday.
Kenny who?

hmm... the off season seems more boring than usual. I guess it's just because our off-season last season entailed a rookie future franchise caller. Come on seasonnnnnn

smittyjs
07-08-2007, 04:13 PM
Damn i thought the Denver and titans Monday night game was here in Nashville, i found out a few days ago it was in Denver, I'm going to go cry in a corner now :( :mad:

M
07-10-2007, 11:02 PM
Smith's bum hip making slow progress as WR misses minicamp - retire?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2932331

07-10-2007, 11:18 PM
did you really want to watch cutler shatter vince young's throwing confidence in person? the tears on young's cheeks will look so much better on tv.

As well as the poopstain on the back of his pants.

M
07-14-2007, 03:35 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2935411

I thought at least 1 of the cases was dismissed. If so, two games for one misd. conviction seems very inconsistent with other suspensions previously handed down. Not condoning actions or domestic violence just concerned about a visible level of consistency.

ripdw27
07-14-2007, 11:59 PM
havent checked out my teams thread for a few monts thought id stop by...

im highly considering saving up for some broncos tix.. take my dad to a game.. probably be whichever game is on the road for us against the following teams: vikings lions or bears..any other teams close to wi were i reside

ripdw27
07-23-2007, 10:13 PM
Top breakout: Jay Cutler, Denver
Reach 3,200 yards or 24 TDs

Indicative of his keen passing and big-play arm, Cutler threw for two touchdowns in each of his first four contests. His five-game totals of 1,001 yards and nine scores projects to 3,203 yards and 29 touchdowns. However, he will need to reduce his propensity for fumbling after losing two of eight fumbles. But a full off-season, training camp and preseason as Denver's starting quarterback will help him establish a greater rapport with wideouts Javon Walker, Rod Smith and Brandon Marshall, and tight ends Tony Scheffler and Daniel Graham. Add that defenses must respect one of the league's best running games, and Cutler will take advantage of many single coverages to produce big plays downfield.

JCutlery
07-25-2007, 03:29 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2935411

I thought at least 1 of the cases was dismissed. If so, two games for one misd. conviction seems very inconsistent with other suspensions previously handed down. Not condoning actions or domestic violence just concerned about a visible level of consistency.

According to the Denver post, he is expected to be released very soon. He apparently hasn't recovered from his surgery, and will likely not play until 2008.

source (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_6455500)

ripdw27
07-25-2007, 05:09 PM
is foxworth gonna be starting opposite lynch then

JCutlery
07-25-2007, 11:32 PM
is foxworth gonna be starting opposite lynch then

No, it will be Ferguson. Cox and Abdullah will be the backups.

ripdw27
07-27-2007, 09:14 PM
so foxworth gonna play like nickel corner or 3rd string

JCutlery
07-27-2007, 09:52 PM
He'll be the nickel.

M
07-29-2007, 01:36 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2952736

now put on some weight and start sacking QBs

JCutlery
07-30-2007, 12:33 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2952736

now put on some weight and start sacking QBs

I saw some pics from training camp and he still looks real thin, despite his comments that he's around 270-275 lbs.

ripdw27
08-01-2007, 10:33 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7083432

almost makes you wanna cry

ripdw27
08-12-2007, 04:04 PM
ohh im soo hyped up for us this season. i think we have a shot at the superbowl.. im not even kidding. yea theres a lot of hype about the pats n colts, but i think as an underdog team we wont have that bullseye on our back like the colts do. we have so much talent on both sides of the ball... man i am SOOO pumped

08-12-2007, 11:09 PM
ohh im soo hyped up for us this season. i think we have a shot at the superbowl.. im not even kidding. yea theres a lot of hype about the pats n colts, but i think as an underdog team we wont have that bullseye on our back like the colts do. we have so much talent on both sides of the ball... man i am SOOO pumped

Yeah dude. Our offense is young, but extremely talented. I don't wanna seem like a homer, but...

Javon Walker is excellent and not 30 yet. Brandon Marshall is incredibly underrated, he is big, fast and makes incredible catches(see Cincy game). Tony Scheffler, statistically, was the NFL's best TE in December. While he isn't the best in the NFL, he is pretty damn good, and developed a great chemistry with Cutler last year. And that brings us to Cutler. Let's be honest with ourselves. If he completed 59% of his passes with an 88 rating and almost 2 TDs per INT and nearly 2 TDs per game three years from now, would we be dissapointed? I wouldn't. Well, he did that in his rookie year. The only rookie QB to throw more TDs than picks. And almost twice as many, at that. With a rookie 6th round LT and an inconsistent running game. We get Lepsis back, and add Henry, the offense has the potential to be unstoppable. Of course, knowing my luck, Cutler will turn out to be a bust and our offense will suck. The powers above find it fun to toy with me sometimes. Bastards.

And on D, we are getting older in the secondary unfortunately. We had a strength in two good, young CBs under Champ but obviously now we don't. We also lost our defensive leader, although Lynch will step in well. Unfortunately, he was also our best LB. I don't doubt though that Williams can perform admirably, hopefully Gold plays well and whoever plays SAM can also do well. But, our perennial weakness is potentially going to be our biggest strength in a year or so. Marcus Thomas and Jarvis Moss were huge risks, but if they pan out, could be two of the better players at their positions. Add Tim Crowder, much safer, and a very solid base end, and our DL could be deadly. Or suck. Depending on Thomas and Moss. But I have high hopes, since I'm a homer. So our options are simple: Have a great offense and a good defense(as it all starts in the trenches), have a great offense and a great defense(I'm a homer), or have the Gods hate me and have a ****** offense and defense. I'm hoping it's not the latter. It's definitely an exciting time to be a Broncos fan.

Diehard
08-13-2007, 11:52 AM
I don't doubt though that Williams can perform admirably, hopefully Gold plays well and whoever plays SAM can also do well.

I'm crossing my fingers. LB, which has been a strength in the past, is a question mark right now... and it is something that really needs to be addressed in the next draft (a stud strongside backer should be at the top of the team's wish list).

or have the Gods hate me and have a ****** offense and defense. I'm hoping it's not the latter. It's definitely an exciting time to be a Broncos fan.

The Gods like to curse rookie/sophmore starting QBs. Consider it their version of hazing. The problem is sometimes they take it too far and leave the player a broken mess (see Tim Couch). Hopefully Cutler can produce this year despite this divine adversity...

ripdw27
08-14-2007, 10:20 PM
haha not to be a homer but..

jay cutler - PRIMED for a breakout.. so much hype about him
travis henry - lofa tatupu projects him to have 1600 yds... ill take it
javon walker - huge diverse playmaker very effective receiver
brandon marshall - underrated and comes up big, good hands/height
rod smith - um hes rod smith. nuff said
tony scheffler/daniel graham - two great te's that will give us weapons in double te sets as well as depth
o-line - ha its denver broncos o line. top unit
d-line - deff our weakness, but getting stronger.
dj - has biig shoes to fill for al wilson. but i think hes gonna overfill those.. i seriously think he has potential to be as good as wilson.
ian gold - just needs to be solid. make tackles, hit down passes.
champ bailey - ha just needs the ball thrown to him haha
dre bly - cant let his guard down with champ on the other side
lynch - needs to play a role as a leader, keep up the big hits

all that said.. lets look at our division. no hype about ANY other teams.
Raiders - #1 pick (unsigned?) Jamarcus Russell. (bust)
Chargers - no hype even with lt coming off a hall of fame year
Chiefs - eh nothin major

JCutlery
08-19-2007, 11:52 AM
Ekuban is likely gone for the season after suffering a torn achilles tendon against Dallas. This is a huge loss, in my opinion, as Eb was a definite starter and is one of the few ends on our team that excels against the run. Crowder and Moss will have to step up, and considering they are both hobbled by injuries, things are not looking good for the Broncos' defense. It's looking like 06 all over again..

Namy
08-20-2007, 01:06 AM
Ekuban is likely gone for the season after suffering a torn achilles tendon against Dallas. This is a huge loss, in my opinion, as Eb was a definite starter and is one of the few ends on our team that excels against the run. Crowder and Moss will have to step up, and considering they are both hobbled by injuries, things are not looking good for the Broncos' defense. It's looking like 06 all over again..

We looked like sh*t against Dallas. I know Dallas is a great team, but we looked awful. Our team looked lost and dazed. We better get our act together or we're not making the playoffs. It's the same old story really... can't stop teams on 3rd downs.. cant convert 3rd downs either.

08-20-2007, 11:56 AM
Jay Cutler knows what he's doing. If he sucks in preseason, he'll take everyone by surprise when he throws 160 TDs during the season :).

keylime_5
08-20-2007, 06:16 PM
Question. Who is gonna start for Ekuban this saturday vs. the Browns, Dumervil, Moss, or someone else? I think it's quite obvious that Moss will eventually be there starting at RDE during the regular season, but who is gonna be the immediate replacement.

Also, as much as I dislike Denver, would like to say I'm sad for you guys about Ekuban being out for the year, he was the one D-Lineman who we gave you guys that I was sad to see go. He is a good, classy player, and I hope he gets back to the field as soon as he can.

thetedginnshow
08-22-2007, 08:46 AM
Hey do you think you guys could tell me how Henry is doing? Do you think the injury will be an issue?

thetedginnshow
08-22-2007, 09:40 AM
Well, I talked about the injury, so yeah, the injury. Haha. I'm just wondering how serious it's sounded and if it'll be a setback.

M
08-25-2007, 01:03 AM
0ur ubiquitous moderator prognosticates 12 - I never you to be so optimistic as this could one of those nagging injury for the season.

It does not bode well that Henry is not going to get many reps preseason as he and Cutler are clearly not yet on the same page (see handoff in Dallas and not breaking off routes during blitz reads). He can run well, but the first game could be . . . a little ugly as we will be blitzed to death.

If defense surrenders 200 + yards rushing per game and puts no pressure on QB, as evidence by effort so far, it will be an academic concern.

Diehard
08-26-2007, 11:18 AM
If defense surrenders 200 + yards rushing per game and puts no pressure on QB, as evidence by effort so far, it will be an academic concern.

The defense will improve as the season progresses - though how good it will end up being is definitely up in the air...

DL:
Lots of potential here, which is another way of saying these guys aren't playing particularly well right now. Elvis & the Rookies will improve (perhaps Gordon too?), Sam Adams will get tired and the rest aren't much more than filler.

LB:
Despite my hopes for DJ in the middle, I have to agree with njx9 that the move hasn't paid off so far. Webster might be a better fit, with DJ to WLB and Gold into the garbage... which further underscores the need for a stud SLB though the draft or FA.

DB:
Champ is the champ, so we're 25% there right from the get go. Bly *will* get burned on occasion - ask any Detroit fan about that. However, he'll also make some big plays. Lynch plays like a LB - big hits, crappy coverage. The rest are question marks, though perhaps Abdullah will emerge as a player.

Anyway, I think it would be wise to brace for a rocky start will some nice developments around mid-season. At least the offense has the firepower to put up points while the defense gets its affairs in order...

08-26-2007, 09:16 PM
At S, all we really need is someone to help Bly over the top, and put Lynch in the box. That's not gonna be an easy secondary to move the ball on. You've got Champ on one side, and Bly with help on the other. And if you run, we have a guy who's still one of the best 8th men in the NFL. We just need the front seven to work well. It's a shame Wilson got hurt.

M
08-28-2007, 12:48 AM
Anyone "unexpected" getting cut in first trim down?

M
09-02-2007, 09:49 PM
You are right - is it not the annual lets get a pick from the redskins time of year. It is like Christmas in September every year!

M
09-02-2007, 10:43 PM
The full list of released players is as follows:

Quarterbacks: Darrell *******, Preston Parsons.
Fullbacks: Kyle Johnson.
Running Backs: None.
Wide Receivers: Glenn Martinez, Marquay McDaniel, Quincy Morgan.
Tight ends: None.
Offensive linemen: Emmanuel Akah, Greg Eslinger, Mark Fenton, Kevin McAlmont, Chad Mustard, Cliff Washburn.
Defensive linemen: John Browning, Steven Harris, Jimmy Kennedy.
Linebackers: T.J. Hollowell, Cameron Vaughn.
Safeties: Steve Cargile, Roderick Rogers.
Cornerbacks: Bill Alford, Kevin House.

I thought we might have kept one QB and Eslinger but Kyle Johnson was the only real "hmmmm" name.

Diehard
09-03-2007, 06:18 PM
According to ESPN, Simeon Rice is now a Bronco.

09-03-2007, 07:03 PM
If he can still get after the QB, I like it. No such thing as too many pass rushers.

M
09-03-2007, 11:08 PM
Sources have learned that the Broncos currently have 5 trade offers for Mike Bell. Our sources tell us that Shanahan has decided to put the decision in Mike Bell's lap. We've been told that Shanahan has spoken with Bell and laid his role out in the Broncos offense as a fullback who provides spot carries for a change of pace ("in essence," the Full Back role that Mike Anderson manned for so many years). Our sources tell us that the teams involved are Indianapolis, Green Bay, Baltimore, St. Louis, and Atlanta, with the trade offers being conditional 5th - 7th round picks.. Ultimately, the decision to depart from Denver has been put in Mike Bell's lap, leaving it up to him to decide what he thinks is best for him.

Where is Washington on this list, I was certain we would have a trade with Washington by now!

As far as Rice, I do not see 10 plus sacks but I see Rice as being a great rotational player to add impressive depth - especially on 3rd and long downs substitutions.

09-03-2007, 11:17 PM
The Redskins are tryign to package all their picks for the next three years to get him.

M
09-12-2007, 11:55 PM
Looking at the team as we now see it, subject to injury, what are your thoughts on our draft needs next year:

My thoughts are :
1. Replace Lynch (I know that I am anti-Lynch but he is too slow)
2. Linebacker - we need a MLB so DJ can move outside and Gold can be traded to washington for a second - sixth round pick, or an outside linbacker to replace Gold (which by the way Gold is a description of the weight of his arms because it would appear he cannot move them to try and wrap up a player).
3. Depth on the Offensive Line
4. a very large RB for those short yardage / inside the 10 situations

09-13-2007, 04:46 PM
Lynch starting wouldn't be too awful if we got a great cover guy and kept Lynch near the line. Bly and Bailey could probably do well enough that a great coverage guy could cover for them if they ever faltered.

Diehard
09-14-2007, 01:32 AM
A Ballhawk FS and a true strongside LB should headline the draft wish list. Another DT wouldn't hurt either as Sam Adams is due for a heart attack any minute...

JCutlery
09-15-2007, 10:00 AM
Here is a small mock of what I want to happen..

1 FS Kenny Phillips, Miami (slide Lynch over to SS so we never see him in coverage again)

2 LB Philip Wheeler, Georgia Tech (weakside linebacker to replace Gold, can play SAM or MIKE just in case)

4 DT Dre Moore, Maryland (big guy in the middle, should fit Bates' scheme)

4 WR Dorien Bryant, Purdue (blazing speed, nice hands and could help in the return game)

5 OT Duane Brown, Virginia Tech (we need tackle depth)

5 RB Kyle Bell, Colorado State (we could really use a power-runner)

7 value pick

09-15-2007, 08:07 PM
I hope we aren't bad enough to pick K Phillips. He's probly gonna be top 10.

ripdw27
09-16-2007, 12:07 PM
i see everyone kinda doggin lynch for his covereage skills but i remember when we beat the pats in the playoffs about 2 years ago when lynch had a pick lol it was probally more by luck but still..

1. S... id prefer some kinda ballhawk, some guy that could be a playmaker in a few years. last year i wanted reggie nelson so bad but as of now theres no college players that appeal to me.

2. LB... Middle or outside, doesnt really matter. If its middle then we move dj to SAM and kick out Ian Gold. if its outside, leave dj at mike n kick out gold stil.

3. OL... our guys are gettin old. we got ryan harris which is a pretty nice step but id like to see a center or guard tihs year.

4. WR... somebody really fast, so we can use him in the slot and as a returner.

5. RB or CB... at rb we cuold spell and eventually replace travis henry. at CB we would have a future replacement for bailey or bly, lets face it, champ is 29 n bly is 30. i doubt a 5th round CB would fill there shoes but who knows, maybe we get lucky.

ripdw27
09-16-2007, 12:11 PM
is javon walker starting today

JCutlery
09-17-2007, 04:48 PM
I hope we aren't bad enough to pick K Phillips. He's probly gonna be top 10.

My mock is completely unrealistic, it's just what I wish would happen. No way we could get Dorien Bryant in the 4th either.

Diehard
09-19-2007, 12:23 PM
lynch is great at playing a zone and getting into passing lanes. he SUCKS at man and deep zones because he just doesn't have the speed to get to the ball before the receiver. which is why i'm still blown away he's at FS.

Would you prefer Ferguson at FS? ;)

No question, this is a clear problem. We need a true centerfielder kind of guy.

09-19-2007, 02:21 PM
How does 88 tackles and 9 INTs, with 6 kicks, a fumble, and an INT returned for TD sound? Well, Jay Cutler did that. in high school

ripdw27
09-20-2007, 09:06 PM
so pretty much what you guys would suggest is switching ferguson and lynch..

i wouldnt mind that at all, get lynch up to play run support but i think we need a true playmaker at safety. im not sayin we need an elite safety but we do need a very talented one. theres no hiding that in a few years we will need help at cornerback to sadly. i am truly dreading the loss of champ in the future. but thats not gonna be for a while

Broncos_fan_from_uk
09-21-2007, 08:08 PM
personally i like abdulas ball skill, and if we are looking for that centerfielder type to play the deep zone (as it appeared to me that we played alot of cover 1 the past two weeks) how about jamal lewis GT. hes a SS in college but would probably switch to FS in the pros. he has great ball skills and instincts in the run game.

The Legend
09-26-2007, 07:06 PM
i was taking a look into the past

Maurice Clarett Taken Before

Running Back - Marion Barber
Running Back - Brandon Jacobs
Stong Safety - Kerry Rhodes
Defensive End - Trent Cole

Barber & Jacobs may have not fit your system, but Kerry Rhodes would be amazing with John Lynch

The Legend
09-26-2007, 07:20 PM
thanks for that reminder. =P

is he still in jail?

ripdw27
09-26-2007, 08:42 PM
lol 4 guns n a bottle of goose. sounds like my cousin every fri nite lol.

but anyway, we needed to beat jville in ther worst way. we couldnt capitalize on SD losing n dropping to 1-2. granted were in the lead, but i wanted a 2 game lead over the chargers (now we got indy then the chargers i think i read in the other thread)

Chris
10-15-2007, 11:56 AM
I'll have a mock draft up coming soon for the Broncos, it'll be different than most, but it's almost a given Henry is done as a Bronco.

terribletowel39
10-18-2007, 02:40 PM
is Champ playing this weekend?? (hope not)

Diehard
10-18-2007, 05:03 PM
... but, looks like Walker is out

http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/local_story_291174909.html

Bad -> Worse

I hate this season.

terribletowel39
10-18-2007, 09:18 PM
... but, looks like Walker is out

http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/local_story_291174909.html

Bad -> Worse

I hate this season.
hooray. Walker is for some reason Ike Taylor's worst enemy. it sucks he is hurt and all but woo hoo.

10-18-2007, 09:25 PM
This makes me angry. Well, it looks like I was wrong about Phillips being out of our reach, we should be in prime position to get him. Or maybe even Dorsey or Ellis, that would be sick. And njx, have you forgot or something? It's all Cutler's fault. The fact that the defense has sucked ever since he began starting(and 2 games before) and we scored more points with him than Plummer could dream of, it's all Cutler's fault. It has nothing to do with coaching, ****** defense, receivers dropping balls, or anything like that. It's all on Cutler.

GB12
10-18-2007, 10:57 PM
Kind of interesting...

In May, Major League Baseball announced that it had chosen a new schedule for its World Series games on Fox, one that called for a potential Game 5 to be played on a Monday night, opposite the ESPN's "Monday Night Football" game between the Green Bay Packers and the Denver Broncos on Oct. 29 at Invesco Field at Mile High.
On Monday, the Colorado Rockies beat the Arizona Diamondbacks in Game 4 of the National League Championship Series, setting up the possibility of a World Series game being played that same day at Coors Field in the same city, just two miles away from the football game. The football game is scheduled to start one-half hour after the baseball game begins.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=676447

Geo
10-19-2007, 10:08 AM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nfl/article/0,2777,DRMN_23918_5726376,00.html

Huh.

ripdw27
10-20-2007, 10:11 PM
steelers at our house sunday nite...
at the beginning of the season i honestly predicted us to win by 14.
i also predicted us to be 4-1 rite now.

ill leave that to the experts, i am not looking forward to this game. i love watching my team on tv especially when im in wisconsin i dont see very many. i havent seen them win yet, this week is a doubtful game without walker. then we have the packers, if we lose that game ill never hear the end of it. please god light a fire on our team and get us rollin

ripdw27
10-20-2007, 10:12 PM
outta curiosity.. how would you feel about getting mcfadden or ray rice or mike hart in the draft?
granted we need help elsewhere but is just a thought

i also realize we would have to get ride of shanny in order to get someone like mcfadden. i like the one cut rule but i also like dynamic running. just wanna hear your thoughts rite now.

10-20-2007, 10:23 PM
Mike Hart would be perrrrrrrrfect. And a third round guy, potentially. First two rounds, we gotta go defense.

Geo
10-21-2007, 10:48 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7358452

The Broncos spent the bye week junking defensive coordinator Jim Bates' system and going back to what they played last season. "We just don't have the personnel to play it," said one Denver insider.

I'd like to see this confirmed from another, more credible source, before fully believing it.

Jimmy
10-22-2007, 06:23 AM
My observations.

DJ Williams looked like a faster version Al last night (regardless of that lucky pick)

Dre Bly- Is getting torched more then he should because he is playing aside Bailey. Last night he didn't have #24, and He should have had 2 picks, which shows the of player he is (i know you already know)

Jay Cutler- May not fit our system. His stats were very misleading up to the last 10 minutes. Cutler was playing very mediocre, we just happened to convert several key 3rd downs. He can't continue to make those plays.These are his stats last night if he doesn't make those throws and tucks it and runs. 22-27 248 Yards 3 TD

Brandon Marshall- Is our best reciever. IMO he has eclipsed Javon (a healthy javon) in terms of talent. so how bout we use him like javon?

Elvis Dumervil- Needs to play every down, or almost every down. Did you see what happened last night? We got initial pressure on Toothlessberger every play. We either need to blitz LB up a middle gap, or have the DT play the middle of the field, because Ben just barely avoided getting sacked, stepped up and either ran or threw it to a reciever who made a cut

O line- sucks.

Nick Ferguson- Worst Tackling 35 year old safety that can't do anything but tackle in the nfl. Good for nothing. Gets torched deep, misses easy tackles in the backfield, and missed 3-4 others every game.

Geo
10-22-2007, 12:49 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers @ Denver Broncos
Everything, EVERYTHING tells me the Steelers win this game. The Broncos run defense is abysmal and the Steelers love to run with Willie Parker. The Broncos are missing their best playmaker in Javon Walker, in a game against a good Steelers defense. But I'm going with the gut feeling again, it's telling me the Broncos will win this game. The Broncos are desperate for a win, and Mike Shanahan and the team have spent two weeks getting ready for this game. You don't want Mike Shanahan having that much time to gameplan against you, especially when he beat you the year before. Meanwhile Jim Bates has had more time to work on the defense and get things gelled. And the Broncos are playing at home, I think they come out of Sunday Night Football with a great and much-needed win. Broncos 24, Steelers 20.

Just checked, Mike Shanahan's record following a bye is 9-3. The last loss was in 2002 against Oakland, since then it's 4-0 with last year's game being a 13-3 victory over the Baltimore Ravens last year.
omg I'm so proud of myself! :p

Excellent win for the Broncos last night, they needed it. Make the playoffs and eliminate the Patriots pls.

Namy
10-22-2007, 02:22 PM
nothing would make me happier than ruining my roommate's life with a rockies world series win and a patriots loss in the playoffs to the broncos.

LMAO.

I honestly have no idea what would make me happier. Beating these "Patriots" or beating the Red Sox...

I like how the Broncos looked yesterday. Some of Cutler's passes were awkward but he played well overall against a good Steelers team. HOpefully this is a sign of things to come. Btw, I LOVED our pass rush last night.

10-22-2007, 03:51 PM
LMAO.

I honestly have no idea what would make me happier. Beating these "Patriots" or beating the Red Sox...

I like how the Broncos looked yesterday. Some of Cutler's passes were awkward but he played well overall against a good Steelers team. HOpefully this is a sign of things to come. Btw, I LOVED our pass rush last night.

Yeah, and with Cutler, like, that's the best defense he's played, probably in his career. And he had a very good game. He threw two picks, but he's a guy who's gonna take chances sometimes so he'll never have Brady or Peyton Manningesque INT numbers. Obviously they should go sown with time, but you have to take the good with the bad. Another thing I loved is we *gasp* threw in the redzone, and it got us two TDs(maybe three, I didnt see the first throw).

Diehard
10-22-2007, 04:29 PM
Another thing I loved is we *gasp* threw in the redzone, and it got us two TDs(maybe three, I didnt see the first throw).

Yes, that was critical. The zone running scheme isn't nearly as effective at the goal line, and for years Denver has compensated by going play-action to the FB or TE on the goal line (usually on second down). I don't know why Shanny ever got away from that.

Even better was the pass to Stokley for the first TD. Cutler has a great arm, and Shanny should make the most out of it. Take shots at the endzone from 20 yards out - keep the defense honest.

I know Shanahan wants to be a run-first team, but the weapons we have now just cry out for an aerial attack. The pass can set up the run, just grab a quick lead through the air and then starting pounding away with the running game.

ripdw27
10-25-2007, 01:43 PM
i think we could finish the season 12-4, seriously. yeah i know its a stretch but if we play as good as were capable of, i think we can pull it off. we have..

Packers - only weapon on o is passing. our seconday easily trumps that with champ back.

Lions - Similar situation, shut down roy will and cj and force them to run.

(dont know if this is the exact schedule)
Chiefs - larry johnsons been playin pretty poorly, but so was lt before us. they cant stop us on o.
Vikings - eh, AD will slow down eventually.
Chargers - our only loss. they beat us 41-3 at our house. cant wait to see what happens there... :(
Bears - Keep Hester outta the game. Grossman and Griese can possibly pick our D apart, and Benson has been nothing special so far.
Raiders - Ha.

thats my quick prediction, im not sure if thats the order of the games but ik we play them (chiefs x2)

this would be so sweet.

Namy
10-26-2007, 03:24 PM
i think we could finish the season 12-4, seriously. yeah i know its a stretch but if we play as good as were capable of, i think we can pull it off. we have..

Packers - only weapon on o is passing. our seconday easily trumps that with champ back.

Lions - Similar situation, shut down roy will and cj and force them to run.

(dont know if this is the exact schedule)
Chiefs - larry johnsons been playin pretty poorly, but so was lt before us. they cant stop us on o.
Vikings - eh, AD will slow down eventually.
Chargers - our only loss. they beat us 41-3 at our house. cant wait to see what happens there... :(
Bears - Keep Hester outta the game. Grossman and Griese can possibly pick our D apart, and Benson has been nothing special so far.
Raiders - Ha.

thats my quick prediction, im not sure if thats the order of the games but ik we play them (chiefs x2)

this would be so sweet.

I think you're crazy. 11-5 is the best realistically we can get, but most likely we'll finish either 9-7 or 10-6. Our defense did great in the lights off of a bye week, but it could have been a total fluke against a Steelers team that clearly came in underestimating us. If anything, you could easily reverse all of your situations against us... for example:

vs. GB: Sure they don't run the ball well, but their defense is not too bad and if Favre can just throw down the middle and fake out Bly for a few long balls they could win.

@Det: This one I do think we will win, but the Broncos often play down to a lower team's level. If they play without well preparation and focus against a Detroit team with a motivating Kitna on the road, we could lose.

@KC: This one I can almost guarantee we lose. We are horrible at Arrowhead during winter time. Also, as you mentioned, LT didn't do well until against us. I could see LJ still ripping us.

vs. Ten: One thing we have been horrible against is a QB that can scramble. VY can do that. Also, the Titans have a very underrated defense. Their defensive line with Haynesworth can pass rush, stop the run, and deflect passes at the line (I can see a tipped INT).

@Chi: Their defense hasn't been the same, but it has many weeks to fix itself before us. After what Peterson did to them, I doubt they allow a debacle like that to ever happen again, especially at home. Also, Griese has been serviceable. We won't get a gimme from him like we would from Grossman.

@Oak: We should win this, but never overlook a rival team on the road no matter how bad they are. They will always play extra hard. Hell, they almost beat us at home didnt they?

vs. KC: As good as KC is at Arrowhead, they are just as bad at Invesco. I see us winning this one, but I don't know how good KC is... they've been doing well recently and beat a SD team at SD that womped us 41-3 at Invesco.

@Hou: A very underrated team. Everyone still thinks everyone can just get an automatic win over them but that's not the case. With a big chance to avenge ourselves against SD the following week, we could very well be under prepared against a talented Houston team.

@SD: They destroyed us before, and we've lost about 4 in a row against them I believe. This will be a very tough game especially if both SD and we are in the hunt for the AFC West division.

vs. Min: AD is a stud. Just because it's the last game we can't expect a team to not try it's best (pending on if Minnisota is definitively out of the playoffs or secured in the playoffs)... refer to the San Fran game last season.

Of course, I don't totally disagree with you. I don't think we'll lose all our games either, as I like to be a realistic optimist, but it's good to keep it real man.

Namy
10-26-2007, 04:18 PM
if shanny (and bates) coaches the way he did in the first 5 games, we'll be lucky to go 7-9. if they actually actively coach the team (i.e. realizing that running up the middle 4 straight times everytime we're in the red zone hasn't worked all year and will likely never work all year) i can see a 9-7 season.

but face it, we just don't have the talent on defense or on the offensive line to win 11 games, barring MASSIVE breakdowns by our opponents.
I think we have talent, but much of our talent is just inexperienced, especially at key positions. Our entire DLine is young. Our QB is young. Marshall and Scheffler are young. DJ is still not used to the MLB position. I think if our players can learn fast, we can be a solid unit. We shall see. And I think we still need to blitz more until our DLinemen can prove otherwise.

Geo
10-26-2007, 04:27 PM
As a Travis Henry fantasy owner, I don't believe the Broncos have at any time so far ran four straight times or even three straight times in the red zone. :(

If they did, it certainly wasn't near the goal-line. Or they got to the goal-line and then decided to pass the ball or give it to Cecil Sapp.

*grumble grumble*

10-26-2007, 08:58 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't be complaining if we weren't passing in the redzone, but we were scoring anyway.

ripdw27
10-28-2007, 09:21 PM
aright i re-thought everything.

in the nfl you need to have a good line. on defense we have 3 rookies rotating or starting. on offense we lost our center and left guard for the season. our star wideout may miss 6 weeks. we have 3 rushing touchdowns all year. our starting rb has bruised ribs. we have a second year qb. i dont doubt cutler at all, but i just think being so young hes at a disadvantage. On defense our elite corner just missed a game and is still dinged up. those are the negatives

on the other hand, our starting rb has a 4.6 yd avg. between our starting receivers(without walker) we have 4 tds, out of a total 7. tom brady had 20 more coming into this week ha.

what we need now to win games is big plays. clutch plays. we cant have any mistakes, especially in the red zone. every time we cross the 50 were pretty close to scoring range (jason elam). I think we cant still finish out 10-6 or 9-7, with losses to the chargers, chiefs. i also see a few games where we finally snap out of it in the 4th quarter, coming back and winning under 5 minutes. i think houston would be a game like that, and so could minnesota especially if minnesota is a must win. and one other thing to look forward to is that we may have javon walker back in time to play the final 4 games which include the chargers in chiefs.

if we cant pull it off this year we DEFINETLY have next year to look forward to with such a young team.

Namy
10-30-2007, 05:50 PM
Btw, I'd like to say that we should make more plays that involve Stokely. The dude is one of the most polished WRs... especially in the slot. Stokely really reminds me of an Ed McCaffery (and not just cuz they're both white).

urinemonkey
11-01-2007, 07:02 PM
We have to find a good, big DT next offseason. Sam Adams is done, and the rest are just depth. Marcus Thomas is the only player there with significant upside. It would be awesome to get him a long-term running mate. Biggest needs are at DT, FS, SS, SLB, and WLB. Defense has clearly been our biggest weakness so far, and it's no coincidence that's where our most pressing needs lie. I'm pro D.J. in the middle, I think he's doing a fine job especially considering our DT's frequently get blown off the ball and Webster and Gold are frequently either nowhere to be found or botching the tackle. On paper, HB looks like a weakness if Henry is gone but being a Bronco RB = so easy even the Geico cavemen could do it.

ripdw27
11-01-2007, 09:08 PM
i dont think we need both olbs, just a mlb so we can kick dj back outside. safety is our most pressing need after that. actually i take that back, we need some o lineman to really open up the offense. id looove to get jake long but thats a huge stretch.

and njx, id like to think that jim bates was a good personnel move, we just need to blitz more. i like the running and zbs but the playcalling has got to improve. you watch the games a lot closer then i do so im not gonna argue any further.

urinemonkey
11-02-2007, 09:03 AM
i did like toonster's thought of sam baker in the last mock. someone has to take over for lepsis soon, and it's not pears.

Ryan Harris?

Diehard
11-02-2007, 04:01 PM
I'd like to see the team address the middle and strong backer spots in the offseason. Webster is decent for depth, but we can do better. DJ sucks in the middle - let him go back to the weak side. Shoot Gold and bury his body in the woods so Shanahan can't find it - even dead, Shanny is likely to give him a starting spot.

Other critical items include:
1. A safety who can cover
2. A decent returner who can play a little WR
3. A solid DT

The simple fact is that the defense needs to rebuild properly, not the typical half-assed Shanahan fashion. I think it would be wise to trade away some of the old veterans and bring in more young guys to build for the future.

urinemonkey
11-03-2007, 11:06 AM
is a RT, and was a 3rd round pick. it's not like he's good yet or irreplacable. further, i'd rather have a few guys going then just one who may or may not pan out. i'm also still waiting on answers to the above on DJ.

Harris is a LT, he was drafted to eventually replace Matt Lepsis at that position. The fact that he was drafted in the 3rd round is irrelevant, considering Denver finds most of their good linemen in the later rounds (or undrafted). I'm sure you remember George Foster. He was drafted in the 1st round - how did that work out?

I stand by everything I said about DJ too. I see him plugging the running lanes and making the tackle consistently. Like I said before, it's not that easy to do when you're adjusting to a new position and scheme and having to take on blockers because the DTs can't. I do think DJ is ineffective at getting off blocks, but then again, so are a lot of MLBs. Just ask Ray Lewis.

JCutlery
11-04-2007, 09:46 AM
DJ needs time and experience at the position. Give him the rest of the season to figure it out, otherwise bring in Jon Vilma (great idea) and put DJ back on the weakside. I just hope Shanny does the right thing, a proper evaluation of Gold at season's end, and dumps him.

urinemonkey
11-04-2007, 03:45 PM
Wow, we suck. Glenn Dorsey, here we come (hopefully).

Smokey Joe
11-04-2007, 03:48 PM
hey, we lost to the Lions... twice!

So don't feel to bad.

TacticaLion
11-04-2007, 04:37 PM
hey, we lost to the Lions... twice!

So don't feel to bad.
Yeah, but I actually thought the Broncos were an elite team (and played decent competition to earn their past records). Withouts the injuries, I still think they are... but injuries are a part of the NFL.

Both teams have big problems at important positions, though... Griese or Ramsey? Benson or Young? Which injured defense?

Smokey Joe
11-04-2007, 05:02 PM
Well, either way, the NFC North should be fun to watch for years to come.

TacticaLion
11-04-2007, 05:51 PM
Well, either way, the NFC North should be fun to watch for years to come.
If each team can find a franchise QB, I'll agree.

Grossman, Griese or Orton in Chi? Jackson, Holcomb or Bollinger in Minn? Is Stanton the answer when Kitna decides to stop playing? What about GB? Can Rodgers take over when Favre calls it quits?

Poor QB play can ruin a team... and each team is headed in that direction.

JCutlery
11-04-2007, 06:44 PM
Wow, that's embarrassing. The worst game ever. Injury after injury after injury. It was hard to watch. This team needs to get into full-rebuilding mode. Defense needs an overhaul. Same with the offensive line. I don't know what to do about the coaching staff. Heimerdinger seems like trash to me.. All in all, horrible game. Are the Nuggets on yet ?!

ripdw27
11-04-2007, 09:40 PM
Wow, that's embarrassing. The worst game ever. Injury after injury after injury. It was hard to watch. This team needs to get into full-rebuilding mode. Defense needs an overhaul. Same with the offensive line. I don't know what to do about the coaching staff. Heimerdinger seems like trash to me.. All in all, horrible game. Are the Nuggets on yet ?!

yeah lets cross our fingers. rockies went to the world series, maybe the nuggets go to the finals. i dont watch a lot of pro ball, jsut the bucks bulls n nuggets so im probably gonna turn to that... oh and dear Lord please let Cutler be ok!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Diehard
11-09-2007, 12:15 PM
We could certainly end up going OL in round 1. It's a deep draft at OT... likely someone with good value will be available whenever we pick. I think DT is a bigger need, but teams like Miami and the Raiders also need help there which creates a bit of a problem.

I believe the whole "bargain basement" approach to OL came from the ability of Alex Gibbs, who could work wonders with limited talent. The system is still there, as are a few of the players (Lepsis, Nalen) but the genius is not. Given the importance of line play in the NFL, the Broncos must ensure the talent level of the OL is sufficient to allow Cutler the chance he needs to succeed.

Cunningham
11-09-2007, 04:20 PM
Simeon Rice was released. He had been dealing with injuries for most of the season and never made an impact. This opens the door for the young guys to get more playing time....

http://rotoworld.com/content/Headlines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=104295

urinemonkey
11-09-2007, 05:39 PM
i don't buy that he's a capable LT. i do buy that he could be a plug-in at RT. further, what does george foster have to do with harris being expendable or not? this shouldn't be difficult to figure out, but let me speak slowly (or type slowly): if you draft a guy in the 3rd round, you haven't made much of an investment in him, meaning that he is not, as i said, irreplacable. that has NOTHING to do with whether or not he could be a good player. it simply (or apparently, not so simply) suggests that a player drafted in the third round is stupid justification from a fans perspective for not drafting someone else at the same position. i know it's hard to fathom.

1st off, I'm not 100% in love with your tone right now. 2ndly, Harris fits better at LT because normally the bigger guys play RT. He is 6'5" 300 lbs. - which is the typical smaller O-lineman the Broncos use. George Foster and Erik Pears, the respective starters at RT in recent years, are both bigger, wider bodies. He played LT at Notre Dame and his strength is supposedly pass-protection. I see your point about the draft position, but I doubt they will take another OL 1st round after being burned by Foster. That and the defense is in shambles, so that should take first priority.

last week, 60% of DJ's tackles were at 5+ yards (on run plays only). against green bay (worst running attack in the league), 50% of his stops came at 6+ yards (against the immortal ryan grant). in the last 3 games he has 1 tackle for a loss. that's disgusting. you see him consistently making tackles at 6 yards. which is great if you want to have the worst run defense in the league. but it pretty much sucks if you ever want your offense to get the ball back. DJ has terrible instincts at the position and regularly puts himself into ian gold like position in the hole (that is, just in the right place to get taken out of the play by a fullback). he doesn't react fast enough to anything happening on the play (not even with instincts i'd expect from ANY linebacker). he's completely out of position. put him back outside and find someone who can read run plays and take on blockers. let DJ use his athleticism. he's been steadily less effective since his rookie year (coincidentally, the only year he played WLB).

Fair enough. Still, it's his first year there and it's not like the DT's are doing much to keep blockers off him. That's why I'm hoping for a big-time DT next offseason above all.

ripdw27
11-09-2007, 09:00 PM
this is almost kinda depressing. i havent worn my broncos shirt since the monday before they play the packers, usually i wear it to bed and every sunday. its hard to beleive that at the beginning of the season i thought we had a shot to go at least 11-5. i think it coulda happened if we didnt get swamped with injuries.

*btw does anyone know who will be free agents that we should look at?

Chris
11-10-2007, 02:38 PM
Actually, Ryan Harris is a LT. If he doesn't play LT, he'll play guard in the NFL.

ripdw27
11-11-2007, 09:02 AM
is cutler starting at qb? i have him on my fantasy... the real team isnt going anywhere but im in 2nd place so yea haha how bout travis henry?

Wyndham
11-11-2007, 09:37 AM
Cutler, yes. Travis Henry is a game-time decision but I'd bet that he goes, too.

I'd expect 220-1-1 from Cutler and 17-70-0 from Henry.

ripdw27
11-12-2007, 09:21 PM
why is there no thread for the kansas city game? didnt anyone see it? (all i saw were the scores) i was so stoked we won but then again i thought we had everything going for us when we beat the steelers.

The Legend
01-29-2008, 10:05 PM
Domonique Foxworth, is a RFA what do you think will be his asking price?, what round

Diehard
01-30-2008, 01:23 AM
Domonique Foxworth, is a RFA what do you think will be his asking price?, what round

3rd rounder seems right to me.

Jimmy
01-31-2008, 04:20 PM
Javon = Out
????? = In

Im sure we can all agree on one thing. Stokley is one hell of a #3. I don't really think he will do as much for us as a #2 though. Having that said, I don't really see us drafting an impact receiver day 1. Not an immediate need with B-Marsh's sudden explosion. However, at some point (and you all know it) we are going to sign a legitimate #2 reciever, or hell we might even go after another #1, and make Brandon our #2.

The player im talking about? I'm going to type his name, but here he is:
http://www.nancarrow-webdesk.com/warehouse/storage2/2007-w39/img.06708_t.jpg

As for the _________ above. Another Pro-Bowl target definatley can't hurt Cutler, and as TJ Houshmanzadeh showed, the #2 reciever playing along side _________ will get his fair share of catches. (Or, simply, Brandon will still produce.)

Why would we do this? Because we're going to loose our former #1, and stokley isnt a #2. Doubt we're going to draft a guy and start him.

So.. how does this sound, since ________ is already involved in trade talks, and wants out of his current team?

___________ for Javon Walker, Ian Gold, and a 4th. Bungles need a LB. They can have him. I'd trade Gold for David Pollack a this point.

Hell, if this doesn't do it for you, lets find away to get lance briggs, trade javon to chicago, dump gold, and move DJ back to weakside

LonghornsLegend
02-16-2008, 07:32 PM
Any news on if you guys are keeping Walker or letting him go?

CT Bronco Fan
02-17-2008, 08:41 AM
Any news on if you guys are keeping Walker or letting him go?

Word is we are currently shopping him around.