PDA

View Full Version : Denver Broncos Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

rascal
01-21-2009, 01:13 PM
One safety that I wish we would look at (doubt we take a safety in the first round) is David Bruton.

Get a FA safety and a decent prospect such as David and I'd be content for that position.

Dam8610
01-21-2009, 10:07 PM
Can anyone here tell me anything about Larry Coyer? From what I read about him, his tenure as Broncos DC was pretty positive. Did he get fired or move on to the position he was in? If he was fired, why? I ask because he's likely to be the Colts new DC. Link (http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/Colts_to_hire_Coyer)

Diehard
01-21-2009, 11:07 PM
Can anyone here tell me anything about Larry Coyer? From what I read about him, his tenure as Broncos DC was pretty positive. Did he get fired or move on to the position he was in? If he was fired, why? I ask because he's likely to be the Colts new DC. Link (http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/Colts_to_hire_Coyer)

Larry Coyer was fired at the end of the 2006 season. Coyer was one of two fall guys (Jake Plummer was the other) for a season gone sour. Like many others, that season started well with his defensive unit setting records (no TD for the first 11 quarters, IIRC) then everything came crashing down and the second half of the season was punctuated with ugly losses. Interestingly, it was also the start of the crisis at safety (due to injuries) that still remains unresolved.

Coyer had made it known that some tough (personnel) changes needed to be made to fix the problems that had emerged in the second half of the season... but apparently Shanahan didn't like what he heard. Coyer was clearly shaken by his dismissal from the organization that had become like family to him.

Unfortunately, the worst parts of Coyer's 2006 scheme (bend-but-don't break, no blitzing) lived on for another two years without addressing any of the problems. Thanks, Shanahan... you ******* asshole.

Diehard
01-21-2009, 11:25 PM
i intensely hated coyer that season until it apparently came out (though i can't find the story now) that shanahan didn't want to blitz anymore and wanted to get pressure while rushing only 4 players.

Yes, Coyer's preference was to mix in a fair amount of blitzing, like we did in 2005. 2006 represented the "Shanahan defense" we've all learned to hate, however, Coyer made it work for half a season and I believe if he was given a chance, he could've made the adjustments needed to build a reliable D.

we also began inexplicably playing lynch in deep pass coverage instead of near the LOS.

Ferguson got hurt and was never the same player again - Sam Brandon got hurt and never returned to football. Our safety corps was shredded at a time when Shanahan was deathly afraid of getting beaten by the medium-long pass. Hence Lynch playing centerfield. Stupidity.

bored of education
01-22-2009, 10:08 AM
i'm liking raji more and more.

I am happy that you are liking him more and more. I have seen him play at BC several times and I think he would be a great fit for Denver. Imagine a decent DT prospect that might actually do something in Denver.

Crazy thought. :)

IPICKEDYOUOFF
01-22-2009, 11:05 AM
Raji in the first...After senior bowl practices im lovin this guy more than I did pre January....

As for those wondering about running back for Denver, i suggest you put a little research into a fella named Shonn Greene out of IOWA, simple youtube search will do, this kid could be denvers next 1000 yrd rusher EASY

3rd round, we need to fill the need for a immediate starter at LB, barring DJs willingness to move back to ILB, i say if avaiable we go after Marcus Freeman OLB Ohio State, he has also been having a good week at Senior Bowl pratices. This one however may be a reach....HIS STOCK IS GOING NOTHING BUT ^^^^^

CT Bronco Fan
01-22-2009, 04:43 PM
http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2009/0121/20090121_102009_FooterBroncos012109.jpg

shady00
01-23-2009, 01:49 AM
As for those wondering about running back for Denver, i suggest you put a little research into a fella named Shonn Greene out of IOWA, simple youtube search will do, this kid could be denvers next 1000 yrd rusher EASY

You don't want another RB on IR, do you?

IPICKEDYOUOFF
01-23-2009, 08:34 AM
You don't want another RB on IR, do you?

and instanly you are quick to bring up injury(like everyone)....
fathum on this please..

We need another back, no doubt...
Backs get hurt, no doubt...
RBs have the shortest carreers due to the workload they indure, no doubt

majority of RBs in the top tear of the draft have had prevouis injuries, is this the reason for your inquery

im not saying this man needs to step in and be a 3-down back instantly ethier

please explain yourself...

IPICKEDYOUOFF
01-23-2009, 10:43 AM
i think he's saying he doesn't want a guy with an injury history.

i think taking another RB just because we had a lot of injuries last year is stupid and i think passing on a talented guy because he's had a few injuries is stupid if you're applying the "ZOMG IR" argument.

So your saying we dont need anymore backs
(What we have, no perticular order)
Peyton Hillis- My personal fav. However i think we'd benifit more from him taking carriers and catching balls from the FB position. Also would like to see him playing TE in some packages. Also a great short yardage halfback.

Selvin Young-If your talking injuries your talking young. Simple. He had a good college carreer but because of Injury became a UDFA. I like this kid but as for many of our backs is not a Starting 3 down NFL RB, IMO. I like him as a relif back....

Ryan Torain-A lotta hype around this cat, yet to prove anything to me. 12 Carries 68 Yrds and a goalline TD...5.6YPC not bad though...Id like to hold on to him see how it goes...

Tatum Bell-My brother is buried in a Tatum Jersey, i cant dislike this guy. Showed some heart and promise at the end of the 08 season...Like to see him back as a backup 3rd or 4th string.

Cory Boyd- CUT/PS
Alex Haynes-CUT/PS

Anthony Alrigde-I like him in the return game but havent seen anything outta the back field, he was put on the IR at the end of preseason never got to see him in a NFL GAME...I'll give this one to the staff to decide

Andre Hall-CUT

Michael Pittmen-Aging but runs hard downhill, nice 3rd down back....

PJ POPE-CUT/PS

I dont see how it can be argued that we arnt missing a featured Back....
Theres only 3 on the list that even come close.....
Young, a fan fav didnt look anything last year like he did the year before
Pittmen, is a once again ageing and isnt a everydown back period
TORAIN?, thats all he is right now a ? and thats only because Shanny created the hype...

WE NEED A FEATURED BACK, be in Knowson or Wells in the first(not saying im for this)or McCoy, Brown, Greene in the second...

RB1-DRAFT
RB2-Young
RB3-Torain/Bell
ShortYardage/Goaline/3rd Down RB-Pittmen
FB-Hillis
KR-Alridge

Whats wrong with that^^^?

Oh yea we still have a Combine to go......

I agree......

I may have misunderstood what you said, but this is what im thinking?
ZOMG IR????Explain

rascal
01-23-2009, 11:32 AM
RB is on the bottom end of needs IMO.

If a spectacular value should come up fine, but this team won't go anywhere until that defense is improved.

IPICKEDYOUOFF
01-23-2009, 11:56 AM
no, that's not at all what i said. i said that thinking we have to take a back to fix last year's IR issues is stupid. if a good back for whatever our system will be is available at a pick and represents the best player we can take at that pick, we should take him. we SHOULDN'T take a back in the draft just because we had injuries last year. which appears to be the latest knee jerk reaction (the "ZOMG IR" reaction).

I agree...i dont want a running back due to the injuries...
I want a running back because I FEEL it is a pressing need even before 7 RBS went down....

RB is on the bottom end of needs IMO.

If a spectacular value should come up fine, but this team won't go anywhere until that defense is improved.

I also understand this, we do have other needs, bigger needs LBing, D-line, secondary yes, our D-fense blows...

But you can find good defensive players later in the draft, day two....
Running Backs, or "everydown backs" are very hard to come by day two, but it has been done(TD)

Try in look at the offseason all togather not just draft day(s)

Free Agency
LBing and partial D-line as well as secondary work can be done here
ie. canty, suggs, james, jones

Correct me if im wrong but what FA RBs are hitting the market this offseason...??

Mind you trades, cuts, and many other things will happen from now til the Draft and OTAS

So brings me to my simple solution as of now..

If possible
RD1Raji NT
RD2Greene RB
RD3Freemen OLB
Later rounds and FA(Wish i could elaborate more(BUSY))the other needs......
DL, Saftey, Corner

Even though RB is not our most pressing need i see it as needing to be done via draft day 1....

Diehard
01-23-2009, 06:14 PM
Greene is a fine runner, but doesn't do much in the passing game (either as a blocker or receiver). I don't see that going over well in the Broncos' war room.

Someone who is a factor in the passing game could be a huge asset - the more weapons we can surround Cutler with the better.

bigbluedefense
01-26-2009, 08:26 PM
I hope you guys like Cover 3/1. Because thats pretty much what Nolan runs all the time (at least during his time as Bmore's DC).

bigbluedefense
01-26-2009, 08:31 PM
it can't be worse than the cover 2 with nick ferguson and john lynch failing to be the 2.

at this point, you can pretty much overhaul the entire defense and not really care about who fits where.

wow...just thinking about Cover 2 with those 2 guys sends chills down my body.

bigbluedefense
01-26-2009, 08:37 PM
it was absolutely horrible. i mean, it wasn't all the time at least. but nick ferguson is a lot of why people thought champ was overrated a few years ago. the guy had no idea what the heck he was doing.

the thing i'm most worried about with nolan is that he has never (afaik) *improved* a defense when he's been DC. almost every team he's coached had a *precipitous* drop the following season, and didn't really improve the following year. i mean, we can't get much worse. but that's not a good track record. i asked earlier, but i'm shocked anyone keeps hiring this guy.

i actually feel the same way about him. not his biggest fan.

at this point i guess all you can do is hope for better drafting, and just take it from there. i felt that with that high octane offense, a cheap quick fix Cover 2 defense would be the best and most efficient way to compliment that offense long term.

but what's done is done.

BamaFalcon59
02-06-2009, 11:09 PM
You're welcome.

http://www.cnnsi.com/football/ncaa/specials/preview/2006/teams/photos/vatech.jpg

http://www.emqb.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/eddie-royal_nc.jpg

BamaFalcon59
02-12-2009, 10:05 PM
:rolleyes:

it'll be great when, someday, you actually talk about something without tying it back to tech or atlanta.

Why would I do that?

Eddie Royal is a beast.

Vikes99ej
02-12-2009, 10:39 PM
Just so you guys know, when the Vikings move you guys are officially my favorite team.

Diehard
02-13-2009, 11:34 AM
Just so you guys know, when the Vikings move you guys are officially my favorite team.

My brother-in-law used to have season tickets for the Vikes (he lived in St. Louis Park), so I've done my share of cheering for the purple guys. It would be a real shame if they moved.

Anyway, we'll save you a spot. Plenty of empty seats around here anyway - having no defense isn't a particularly good way to enhance your fan base...

CT Bronco Fan
03-01-2009, 06:46 PM
Broncos are expected to sign Andre Goodman, they are finalizing the contract now, with this

31 year old CB Goodman
31 year old CB Bailey
31 year old FS Hill
36 year old SS Dawkins

I can see Secondary being drafted soon.

CT Bronco Fan
03-02-2009, 02:23 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2299/2046279720_fe68ae3942.jpg

njx9's bedroom door

bored of education
03-03-2009, 01:27 PM
eww. engelberger.

how does he have his own room anywhere?

he doesn't even deserve one at his parent's house.

Diehard
03-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Broncos are expected to sign Andre Goodman, they are finalizing the contract now, with this

31 year old CB Goodman
31 year old CB Bailey
31 year old FS Hill
36 year old SS Dawkins

I can see Secondary being drafted soon.

Given McDaniels' background, over the long haul I can see him using FA as the primary source for CB's, while our top draft picks are used to bolster the front line and guts of the defense.

rascal
03-04-2009, 10:00 AM
Given McDaniels' background, over the long haul I can see him using FA as the primary source for CB's, while our top draft picks are used to bolster the front line and guts of the defense.

I have zero problem with that. I'm tired of using draft picks every year on CB while the front seven is neglected.

rascal
03-04-2009, 11:47 AM
The Broncos have reportedly agreed to a two-year, $2.5 million contract with free agent LaMont Jordan.

Diehard
03-04-2009, 12:28 PM
The Broncos have reportedly agreed to a two-year, $2.5 million contract with free agent LaMont Jordan.

Not surprising. Basically a replacement for Pittman, but a little younger and familiar with McDaniels' system.

The backfield is getting pretty full - unless they dump someone, I don't see RB being a priority in the draft.

rascal
03-04-2009, 12:34 PM
Not surprising. Basically a replacement for Pittman, but a little younger and familiar with McDaniels' system.

The backfield is getting pretty full - unless they dump someone, I don't see RB being a priority in the draft.

Hillis
Torain
Buckhalter
Young
Jordan

I think Young is on the bubble of that group.

Hopefully everybody will stop the insanity of us picking a RB in the first two rounds.

IMO the talent of the team is upgraded over last year. We are still weak at LB and D-line but despite the Cutler and Marshall debacles this has been a good FA period.

the decider13
03-04-2009, 01:42 PM
That's a pretty decent backfield. No superstars, but enough to get attention off of Cutler, Marshall and Royal. I think this has been a great FA period, drama aside. If by some magic we have another good draft (this one with a defensive focus), I see this defense jumping at least 10 spots. Granted that still puts them as at middle of the pack, but it is a good start.

rascal
03-04-2009, 02:08 PM
Free agent DL Kenny Peterson "has decided to remain with the Broncos," according to the Sacramento Bee.
The 49ers had given Peterson a look, but it appears he's set to be re-signed. Peterson played for the sixth-year veteran's minimum last season.

I think he'll compete for a DE spot.

PalmerToCJ
03-05-2009, 09:29 PM
So how much does Geoge Foster suck? He came in for a visit with the Bengals today and I figured you all would know how rough he is.

CT Bronco Fan
03-05-2009, 10:44 PM
So how much does Geoge Foster suck? He came in for a visit with the Bengals today and I figured you all would know how rough he is.

He was called the Revolving Door when he was playing for the Broncos. The guy is terrible, I have no idea how he is still in the league.

PalmerToCJ
03-06-2009, 12:18 AM
LOL... Thanks, that's exactly what I unfortunately needed to hear.

Bills2083
03-15-2009, 07:59 PM
I read that the Broncos were trying to trade Tony Scheffler.
What do you think they'd be expecting in return?

Diehard
03-15-2009, 11:38 PM
I read that the Broncos were trying to trade Tony Scheffler. What do you think they'd be expecting in return?

A 4th would be reasonable. He's a great pass catcher, mediocre run blocker and poor at pass protect (which didn't matter that much in Denver as he was always in a receiving pattern on any obvious passing down).

The real knock is that he can't stay healthy - count on him missing 2-3 games minimum.

Burger
03-22-2009, 08:00 PM
How Will Jarvis Moss and Elvis Dumervil do in the new system.

Diehard
03-23-2009, 03:21 PM
How Will Jarvis Moss and Elvis Dumervil do in the new system.

I think the jury is definitely out on that one. My feeling is that they are very much competing against each other for the weakside OLB spot.

IIRC, Dumervil tested like crap as a LB when he entered the draft, so he's going to be really challenged to be anything other that an passrusher. However, at least he's flashed some ability at the pro level.

Moss I think has better potential in a 3-4, in fact his best draft position was probably OLB, but so far he hasn't shown a lot on the field. Part of that was the inability to pack on enough weight to be a credible starting DE.

OTcoach
03-26-2009, 01:23 PM
What's up with D. Robertson? I didn't see many of your games this year but he was a solid NT in New York in their 3-4. He couldn't have been that bad in Denver this past season. Was he??

Burger
03-26-2009, 09:55 PM
What's up with D. Robertson? I didn't see many of your games this year but he was a solid NT in New York in their 3-4. He couldn't have been that bad in Denver this past season. Was he??

He got cut by Denver..

Diehard
03-27-2009, 11:43 AM
he wasn't a solid NT in the 3-4, which is why the jets got rid of him, initially. when we went to the 3-4, we did the same thing.

Not only that, he was due some ridiculous amount of bonus money if he returned to Denver this year.

OTcoach
03-29-2009, 01:12 PM
he wasn't a solid NT in the 3-4, which is why the jets got rid of him, initially. when we went to the 3-4, we did the same thing.

He was solid his first year with Mangini's 3-4 as the nose. His biggest problem was his size (or lack there of). I just didn't think he was that bad of a player especially if he was teamed in a decent 4-3 front. I guess Thomas is a small DT as well though. Just surprised he's still a FA is he's still got skills.

Diehard
03-30-2009, 07:26 PM
Apparently the team is bringing in Beanie Wells for another workout:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest

My guess is that they aren't certain he's a guy they like at 12, but he's close enough to warrant a second look. If it is a smokescreen, it's one they're putting a lot of effort into considering the number of other backs that have come in for workouts.

Diehard
03-31-2009, 11:49 AM
Our head moderator, the eternal optimist. ;)

I'm not wild about Wells as a prospect either... but the team is in a tough spot at 12 when so many picking ahead of us are also looking for DL / pass rush help.

I think they are also considering the possibility of someone wanting to trade ahead of Washington to grab one of the big OT's should one slide on draft day. We obviously won't take an OT and the Redskins definitely will, which creates a good opportunity.

Diehard
04-07-2009, 05:13 PM
A pretty extensive list of players we've shown some interest in:

http://draftguys.com/index.php/articles/1/2009_draft_player_team_interest_rumor_mill_-_april_3/

Here's the list I've been working from (cannibalized from various postings on BroncosForums and the Orange Mane):

QB
Pat White (West Virginia)
Curtis Painter (Purdue)

RB
Chris Wells (Ohio State)
Knowshon Moreno (Georgia)
Donald Brown (Connecticut)
LeSean McCoy (Pittsburgh)
Rashad Jennings (Liberty)
Javon Ringer (Michigan State)

WR
Mike Thomas (Arizona)
Quan Cosby (Texas)

TE
Richard Quinn (North Carolina)

OC
Eric Wood (Louisville)
Antoine Caldwell (Alabama)

OG
Andy LeVitre (Oregon State)

NT
BJ Raji (Boston College)
Ron Brace (Boston College)
Roy Miller (Texas)
Terrance Knighton (Temple)

DE/OLB
Brian Orakpo (Texas)
Robert Ayers (Tennessee)
Brian Cushing (USC)
Larry English (Northern Illinois)
Connor Barwin (Cincinnati)
Cody Brown (Connecticut)
Paul Kruger (Utah)
Victor Butler (Oregon State)
Julius Williams (Connecticut)
David Veikune (Hawaii)

ILB
James Laurinaitis (Ohio State)

CB
Malcom Jenkins (Ohio State)
Darius Butler (Connecticut)
Alphonso Smith (Wake Forest)
Kevin Barnes (Maryland)

S
Louis Delmas (Western Michigan)
Rashad Johnson (Alabama)
Patrick Chung (Oregon)
Chip Vaughn (Wake Forest)

Any others?

bored of education
04-07-2009, 06:05 PM
:eyeroll: :eyeroll: :eyeroll: :eyeroll: @ njx.

Knowson to Denver pelase:D

the decider13
04-07-2009, 06:08 PM
I have a bad feeling about draft day...I hate being angry on draft day. Especially after I was so happy last draft. But so angry the draft before that. It's a horrible pattern.

LizardState
04-07-2009, 09:03 PM
I think Cutler is being scapegoated by certainly McDaniel & maybe Pat Bowlen in his scathing letter last wk. Bowlen had a reputation as a hands-off owner but lately has become too hands-on with his team, & it shows.

He didn't have any anti-Broncos sentiments until McDaniel (who looks like he's maybe 18 yrs old) tried to pull his weird 3-way trade to acquire Cassel.... yeah right, like KC was going to give him up after all they went through to get him. And 3-way trades have along history of going kerflooey before they are done deals, too many volatile team agendas to make them happen.

I think Cutler is smart enough to know he's getting the shaft there, he was obviously being dissed by McDaniel. It was so risky -- I still don't know wtf McDaniel was thinking. Yeah Chicago way, way overpaid for Cutler, but what kind of msg. did it send to the other young players in the Denver locker room? It looks like a new HC in his 1st HC job was trying to make a big splash without a lot of concern for the risk-rewards there, & maybe they realize now their new HC is too reckless

Diehard
04-07-2009, 10:42 PM
I think Cutler is being scapegoated by certainly McDaniel & maybe Pat Bowlen in his scathing letter last wk.

How can he be "scapegoated" when he's wanted to leave ever since Shanahan and Bates got canned? You can't ask for a trade multiple times, then pretend you're surprised when it happens.

He didn't have any anti-Broncos sentiments until McDaniel (who looks like he's maybe 18 yrs old) tried to pull his weird 3-way trade to acquire Cassel.... yeah right, like KC was going to give him up after all they went through to get him.

WTF are you talking about? The proposed 3-way had nothing to do with KC.

I think Cutler is smart enough to know he's getting the shaft there, he was obviously being dissed by McDaniel.

He wasn't being dissed. Everyone was so quick to jump on McD, then as the details came out opinion turned against Cutler. The fact that the team was trying to work things out and Cutler didn't have any interest in being part of it speaks volumes.

Cutler wanted this and he got it. We got a journeyman QB and draft picks. We'll see how it all works out.

LizardState
04-08-2009, 03:27 PM
WTF are you talking about? The proposed 3-way had nothing to do with KC.

The way I perceived it was absolutely nothing heard from Cutler until trade talks surfaced, which I 1st heard on ESPN who may have well been very late, as usual, reporting the story.

I also heard the 3-way trade was McD trying to finagle Cassel, didn't make sense at all but no one had the straight scoop on it except PFW & I read that late too.

And I think Bowlen got his info on Cutler filtered thru McD, who seemed biased in this b/c he was. I'm not a Broncos fan by any stretch, I'm sure many others have a better handle on the story than I did, but to even the most casual observer in the absence of timely info it looked like a new HC was trying to make a big splash as the only motivation for morphing thier best player into trade bait.

BTW I think the Chicago Bears & Jerry Angelo way, way overpaid for Cutler. On paper it looks like the biggest fleecing of a superstar in a trade since the Vikes gave up 16 players & picks for Herschel Walker about 17 yrs ago. Like you say we'll have to see how it turns out, Denver could still dick this up by failing to get the appropriate defensive players they desperately need -- that defense hasn't been able to stop the run since Al Wilson left. And their multi-million $ secondary with Champ Bailey & Bly to stop the Patriots, Bolts, whoever;s air attacks, how did that work out for them?

Point is they need about 4-6 new defensive studs or it's another long season there, they have a long way just to get back to mediocrity. I watched them get pummeled by the Raiders & other inferior teams last yr & wondered how Shanahan held onto his job, turned out he didn't.

BuffaloBillsFan
04-12-2009, 12:38 AM
Broncos could end up getting the better end of the deal. Fill the holes on defense & upgrade your run game. You guys already have some of the best targets in the league, all you really need is a good game manager and you'll be okay, imo.

1.) Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois
1.) Ray Maualuga, ILB, USC
2.) Ron Brace, NT, Boston College
3.) Shonn Greene, RB, Iowa
3.) Lawrence Sidbury, DE/OLB, Richmond
4.) David Bruton, FS, Notre Dame

Scary, scary, defense.

Diehard
04-12-2009, 01:15 AM
Broncos could end up getting the better end of the deal. Fill the holes on defense & upgrade your run game. You guys already have some of the best targets in the league, all you really need is a good game manager and you'll be okay, imo.

That's basically my feeling at this point. McD will of course grab a QB with the right skillset in the later rounds to groom as Orton's replacement.

Both first rounders are guys with dubious judgement / maturity issues. I don't see that happening with McD at the helm. I particularly dislike Davis, as he's pretty much the opposite of a "team player".

Shonn Greene might be a nice addition to our offense if he could: a) catch the ball, or b) pass block.

CT Bronco Fan
04-12-2009, 04:30 PM

Scary, scary, defense.

The draft is decent, Not too exciting though. The only first round DB i think we would take would be Jenkins if he fell to 12, otherwise I don't see it. Maualuga I can live with, and Brace is a great pick in the 2nd. The Broncos have 11 runningbacks currently under contract, So I just don't see drafting a RB that early. The offense is pretty set. Look for most of the draft to be defensive.

bigbluedefense
04-12-2009, 04:35 PM
sooo, im guessing everybody here who had the name "Cutler" somewhere in their sn has changed it by now, so can whoever did that state their old sn por favor?

thnx.

TACKLE
04-13-2009, 02:24 PM
Do you guys feel like a OLB for the 3-4 is something Denver needs to pick up in the draft or do you feel confident that the guys you have (Dumervil, Moss, Crowder) can get the job done?

Diehard
04-13-2009, 03:57 PM
Do you guys feel like a OLB for the 3-4 is something Denver needs to pick up in the draft or do you feel confident that the guys you have (Dumervil, Moss, Crowder) can get the job done?

I don't feel confident that Crowder and Moss can do anything, let alone start on defense. The Broncos have worked out quite a number of OLB prospects, which suggests they're looking for help at this position.

Dumervil seems like the guy who will put his hand down when the go to a 4 man front. I don't like him as an every down 3-4 OLB, but if they use him mainly as a rushbacker with limited coverage responsibilities, I could see him having some success.

Diehard
04-13-2009, 11:13 PM
Looks like McGee is coming to visit the Broncos:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/13/texas-am-quarterback-heading-west/

He has the kind of intangibles McD is looking for. I certainly wouldn't mind if they took him to groom as a future starter.

jCut
04-15-2009, 10:47 AM

I have no confidence in our pass rush. None. We need to upgrade the position, it's as simple as that.

the decider13
04-16-2009, 08:53 AM
I think the only player that MIGHT have some potential at OLB is Jarvis Moss. But that is a huge maybe. I think one of the first three picks needs to be spent on a potential 3-4 OLB (Ayers, Brown, Maybin)

Diehard
04-20-2009, 12:19 AM
Mini-camp notes:

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/closing-out-camp/

The comments about the LB situation were interesting. Woodyard looking good at ILB is no surprise. We've finally had a Crowder sighting... at OLB. If he and Dumervil both show they can play the Rushbacker-DE hybrid spot, then Moss is pretty much dead meat.

the decider13
04-20-2009, 11:54 AM
I had kinda forgot about Crowder, I liked him coming out. I figured Woodyard would contribute somewhere.

Maybe the D isn't in as much trouble as we think? Sure it needs a talent injection, but two first rounders, or a first and a 2nd on D should really help it take shape. Can't forget about BDawk being a veteran leader on the field.

Diehard
04-20-2009, 12:41 PM
It looks like Crowder is backing up Reid at one of the outside LB spots, with Dumervil starting on the other side. That's a pretty big pair of linebackers, almost more of a 5-2 alignment (which is not typical of Nolan's scheme).

DL is definitely the question mark - McD pretty much said so in his comments. Maybe some of our DT's will pan out as 3-4 ends (Thomas? Peterson?), but NT for sure has to be addressed somewhere in the draft.

jCut
04-20-2009, 06:19 PM
I really think Woodyard could start alongside Williams in the middle. But, I am not the least bit optimistic about Crowder contributing at any point this year. Lets hope McDaniels knows what he's doing this Saturday.

Diehard
04-20-2009, 07:24 PM
I really think Woodyard could start alongside Williams in the middle.

In Nolan's usual 3-4 one of the ILB's is a strong attacker who hits the line of scrimmage / lead blocker in hopes of disrupting the play and allowing the other LB's to clean up. Guys like Rey Rey and Jasper Brinkley were born for that role. DJ and WW? Not so much.

Right now, it looks like Andra Davis is going to be doing the dirty work, probably with Larsen and perhaps a rookie behind him.

Diehard
04-22-2009, 11:38 AM
Rumor has it that Moss and Crowder are on the trade block:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/04/sources-chiefs-trying-to-trade-down/

In addition, Iíve also learned that the Denver Broncos are shopping defensive ends Jarvis Moss and Tim Crowder.

Moss, a second year veteran out of the University of Florida, has only started 1 game in the past two seasons. In addition, Moss only amassed 12 tackles in 2008, according to NFL.com.

Crowder, a second year vet out of the University of Texas, only appeared in 19 total games for the Broncos since being drafted.

Ah, the rare and mysterious "double bust". What's that, a 1st, 2nd and 3rd pretty much up in smoke? Nice. We'll be lucky to get some late round junk picks in return.

the decider13
04-22-2009, 05:01 PM
Rumor has it that Moss and Crowder are on the trade block:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/04/sources-chiefs-trying-to-trade-down/

Ah, the rare and mysterious "double bust". What's that, a 1st, 2nd and 3rd pretty much up in smoke? Nice. We'll be lucky to get some late round junk picks in return.

So much for my positive outlook of them potentially working in a 3-4. Not gonna happen.

Diehard
04-24-2009, 05:00 PM
Confirming what I already believed:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80ff4aea&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The private workout that USC quarterback Mark Sanchez had with Denver Broncos officials in Mission Viejo, Calif., likely will be the last time the strong-armed passer practices for the team.

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels suggested as much Friday when he said he doubts the team would move into the top 10 in the NFL draft Saturday. He unequivocally dismissed the notion of trading both of his first-round picks to make a move for any top-tier player.

The Broncos own the 12th and 18th selections Saturday, and they might have to move ahead of the Seattle Seahawks at No. 4 to have a shot at Sanchez.

Now this is more interesting:

http://www.broncosradionetwork.com/main.html

Listen to the Schefter interview. He basically said it was a fact that they were trying to move from 18 to 13-15 and his guess regarding the target was Knowshon Moreno.

Interesting stuff.

CT Bronco Fan
04-24-2009, 05:21 PM
well that makes it official IMO. Sanchez will be a Bronco, and we will trade both this year's firsts, and both of next year's to do it.

Diehard
04-24-2009, 05:29 PM
well that makes it official IMO. Sanchez will be a Bronco, and we will trade both this year's firsts, and both of next year's to do it.

LOL!

ten chars

the decider13
04-24-2009, 11:49 PM
I'm cool with trading up a little for Moreno, but not cool with trading up in to the top 10 for Sanchez. As long as we get a studly defensive guy.

Diehard
04-25-2009, 02:05 AM
Mike Klis was on KOA earlier and he indicated that the Broncos were planning to sit at 12 and had identified 5 prospects they were comfortable taking at that pick - 2 of which they were confident would be there (slight reaches due to scheme fit?).

Any guesses as to who the mysterious 5 are?

Diehard
04-25-2009, 01:49 PM
Any guesses as to who the mysterious 5 are?

After seeing the media this morning, I'll partly answer my own question. According to the Denver Post:

1. Raji
2. Jackson
3. Ayers

The others? Perhaps:

4. Moreno
5. a USC LB (Cushing would make sense in a hybrid 4-3 / 3-4)

Of course, I saw something a few minutes ago that we were trading a 1st for Brady Quinn, so who the hell really knows? Thankfully, all this smoke will soon be cleared...

bigbluedefense
08-10-2009, 07:19 PM
fantasy question guys.

Is Knowshon Moreno gonna be the feature back? Or will he split carries with Hillis?

Diehard
08-11-2009, 12:49 PM
fantasy question guys.

Is Knowshon Moreno gonna be the feature back? Or will he split carries with Hillis?

I think he'll split mainly with Buckhalter... until Buck gets hurt (which is probably inevitable). That will open the door to Moreno being the feature back. You've also got Jordan and Torain floating around as well.

Hillis will leech some carries, but I'd be more concerned about how many scores he grabs up, particularly in the red zone. A bulldozer with soft hands is a very nice weapon close to the goal line...

bigbluedefense
08-11-2009, 07:16 PM
I think he'll split mainly with Buckhalter... until Buck gets hurt (which is probably inevitable). That will open the door to Moreno being the feature back. You've also got Jordan and Torain floating around as well.

Hillis will leech some carries, but I'd be more concerned about how many scores he grabs up, particularly in the red zone. A bulldozer with soft hands is a very nice weapon close to the goal line...

so in your opinion, would you draft him #16 overall, or is he not worth the "reach"?

I don't pick again until 32 picks later, so theres no chance of him falling that far, or any quality rbs for that matter. So my current plan is to "reach" for 2 quality RBs with picks 16 and 17.

Diehard
08-12-2009, 02:51 PM
so in your opinion, would you draft him #16 overall, or is he not worth the "reach"?

To put things into context, here are some blurbs re: Moreno coming out of TC that might be useful...

1) Moreno got a lot of reps, it looks like he is going to play catch up. In 1 on 1's he got the better of DJ 3 times. First, a nice juke move left DJ grasping for air. The second time, he lowered his shoulder and stood DJ up. The third time he got around him too. In 7 on 7's he made a nice read, one cut and broke away, for what would have been a HUGE gain if not a TD. There is a lot to be excited about with this kid.

Knowshon's talent is quite easy to see but he still needs a lot of work on his vision as he missed a few cutback lanes and also fumbled while going to the ground. He runs the prettiest routes by a RB I've ever seen. He's already splitting carries on the 1st team with Buckhalter - who had another solid, but unspectacular, practice - although Jordan and Torain were out. With Moreno back, Hillis isn't getting nearly as many reps at HB and is mostly being used at FB and occassionaly split out wide.

RB: Moreno looks great. He did all the things I expected him to do well (Catch, block and make guys miss in space). There was a blitz where the safety came through and Moreno nailed and pushed him back. There was not a lot of pressure at all this practice so the protection in general was very good. Buckhalter had a hard time getting a lot of runs up the middle this time. Hillis had a few good plays. They used him on a double screen once and he made some nice moves after the catch. They move him around quite a bit and let him run, catch and block. I think despite depth chart that Hillis will be heavily utilized in this offense.

IMO, if Moreno can overcome the usual challenges for rookie RB's (knowing his assignments, ball security, pass protection), I think he'll take over the #1 spot sooner rather than later. Buck's injury history also factors in here. However, Moreno won't ever be "the guy" as McD is definitely going to use of his stable of backs.

I don't pick again until 32 picks later, so theres no chance of him falling that far, or any quality rbs for that matter. So my current plan is to "reach" for 2 quality RBs with picks 16 and 17.

I like that end spot in a snake draft, but it does sometimes create some tough decisions.

If your scoring system gives RB's points for receptions / receiving yards, then I like Moreno at 17 - but accepting that your are rolling the dice in terms of how much Buckhalter ends up factoring in. Obviously, if it's a keeper league then that's even better as Moreno's got a whole career ahead of him (however, I suspect this is not the case).

Jimmy
09-04-2009, 09:12 AM
I didn't get to watch the game last night, what did you guys think of Brandstater?

Diehard
09-04-2009, 11:02 AM
I didn't get to watch the game last night, what did you guys think of Brandstater?

For a guy who really hasn't had a whole lot of opportunity to get reps in training camp, he's come a long way in a short time. He seems like a bright guy and throws a much nicer ball than Orton does. He looked pretty good against the Arizona starting D, but struggled a bit once both teams starting putting in their second stringers. He could've gotten more help from his receivers - in particular, the really nice fade he threw to McKinley that should've been hauled in for a TD.

I like his potential. A late round pick well spent IMO.

Splat
09-05-2009, 11:03 AM
Holliday time in Denver? (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/05/holliday-time-in-denver/)

Jimmy
09-05-2009, 06:12 PM
Holliday time in Denver? (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/05/holliday-time-in-denver/)

Good pick up. Can't say we don't need help there.

I just saw Champ Bailey in a college uniform today and his name is Perrish Cox. It isn't really relevant to this thread, but I mean I just felt like I was literally watching him in college. Identical playing style, identical strengths and physical abilities, I'd even give Perrish a slight edge in the strength department. Champ was more polished in coverage coming out, but Perrish sure played like 24 today against Georgia, ironically Bailey's alma mater.

Name: Perrish Cox
College: Oklahoma State Number: 16
Height: 6-0 Weight: 198
Position: CB Pos2: KR
Class/Draft Year: Sr/2010
40 Time: 4.44 40 Low: 4.34 40 High: 4.56

I've been blabbing about the guy all day now, and he really really impressed me. He is Oklahoma State's #1 Corner, and he reminds me of a bigger looking, more physical Champ, who plays almost the same way. Same height and weight more or less.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/pt/photos/2008/11/081108_NS_08TECHosuCOXdown.jpg

Oh, he can return too. Had a 74 Yard return today. The guy is a blazer, he was really only known for his kick return abilities up until the beginning of last season. Really a burner. Runs in the mid 4.3's, clearly can get up with the best of them, and is a really solid tackler. Form looks exactly like Champ too, goes low, launches his body into the runner's ankles. He broke up 3 passes in the first 12 minutes today too, 2 intented for AJ Green, and then after that, he got no passes thrown to him all game. This isn't really Broncos relevant, I just hope we scout him, because I can tell you right now, if he plays like this again, he will be going first round (maybe second), and I will put money on it. His technique is a little flawed, but then again so is every college CB's, Cox is still a huge asset in coverage. At this point he's better than Mike Jenkins (Cowboys CB, USF) was coming out, (and will be better, obviously) and Perrish has the rest of the season to work on it.

We could always use another Champ, and we could always use another developmental, blazing corner who can return from Oklahoma State.

Sampler platter:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJn1kAbtiHM

^ Kinda runs like Champ when he has the ball in his hand too, that head tilted up, peeking over his shoulder to avoid being blasted by Ben Watson look.

Jimmy
09-05-2009, 06:35 PM
In more relevant news, Ashley Lelie is now officially not good enough for 3 of 4 AFC West teams. He was cut by the Chiefs today. Can he make it four?

Splat
09-09-2009, 11:56 AM
Broncos sign Haggan to extension (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/09/broncos-sign-haggan-to-extension/)

CT Bronco Fan
09-09-2009, 04:28 PM
In more relevant news, Ashley Lelie is now officially not good enough for 3 of 4 AFC West teams. He was cut by the Chiefs today. Can he make it four?

We could of drafted Ed Reed instead of Lelie 8( 8( 8( 8(

the decider13
09-09-2009, 10:34 PM
We could of drafted Ed Reed instead of Lelie 8( 8( 8( 8(

That fact depresses me more than any other Bronco draft. More than missing Beason for Jarvis Moss.

BamaFalcon59
10-19-2009, 10:15 PM
You're welcome!

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
10-19-2009, 10:44 PM
6-0 gentlemen.

Ward
10-19-2009, 11:57 PM
Ok so Dumervil has 10 sacks after week 6, what is this guy doing that Demarcus Ware isn't? What are you guys seeing on film that is leading to such success for him?

CT Bronco Fan
10-20-2009, 12:01 AM
Ok so Dumervil has 10 sacks after week 6, what is this guy doing that Demarcus Ware isn't? What are you guys seeing on film that is leading to such success for him?

He gets leverage against anyone he goes against, and he gets an amazing jump on the snap when he's down as an end. He gets held practically every play, which never gets called. He's just a beast this year so far.

I know against Denver Ware just looked like he would try to bullrush Clady or Harris, and it just wasn't working for him. Obviously you could probably break Ware down more then I could. But it seems like he is just relying on a bullrush, and it's not working for him.

Ward
10-20-2009, 12:01 AM
BBD suggested in another thread that his height is a true advantage, is this possible? Are we going to see a rash of short guys become en vogue at 3-4 OLB?

10-20-2009, 12:03 AM
The thing with Elvis too is he isn't just coming out of nowhere. He, with the rest of the defense, was non-existent last year, but he made some real noise his first 2 years.

Ward
10-20-2009, 12:03 AM
Obviously you could probably break Ware down more then I could. But it seems like he is just relying on a bullrush, and it's not working for him.

He's still getting pressure, it just seems he's been a beat late many times. He's improved, but Dumervil is setting a torrid pace.

CT Bronco Fan
10-20-2009, 12:04 AM
BBD suggested in another thread that his height is a true advantage, is this possible? Are we going to see a rash of short guys become en vogue at 3-4 OLB?

Likely, I mean look at James Harrison, he's listed as 6'0, but he looks a little shorter then that. and with Dumervil's early success, and this being a copycat league, I think we'll see a lot more.

Ward
10-20-2009, 12:05 AM
The thing with Elvis too is he isn't just coming out of nowhere. He, with the rest of the defense, was non-existent last year, but he made some real noise his first 2 years.

Being undefeated is helping his exposure, combined with the fact that this is so far above the norm. He's gone from great player (a measure of talent) to superstar (a measure of fame). Not necessary, but it's nice to have 'your' guys noticed nationally.

Timbathia
10-20-2009, 02:33 AM
I gotta re-mention his motor. He has been getting a lot of sacks late in games. He comes just as hard in the 4th, when 300 pound tackles are slowing down a bit.

BamaFalcon59
10-20-2009, 03:49 PM
Just wondering, how is Dumervil against the run?

Diehard
10-20-2009, 04:07 PM
Just wondering, how is Dumervil against the run?

Good in pursuit, not particularly stout at the point of attack. That was part of the reason he wasn't suited to be an every down DE in the 4-3... you could run right at him. You'd often see him get blasted off the LoS and the B-gap would be wide open for the RB.

D-Unit
10-29-2009, 12:38 AM
What players on your team are the biggest disappointments?

What are your top 3 needs?

Timbathia
10-29-2009, 05:47 PM
both guards. which answers both questions.

dbs. yeah, yeah, champ is still pretty good. but he's not a shutdown corner and he's lost his speed. if possible, i'd rather he play safety with dawkins. i love goodman, but realistically, only because he's not dre bly. he'd probably be better as a nickel. i still think alphonso smith is utterly worthless and should be a quarter-back at best, but others here will likely disagree. *shrug*

lb's probably still a need. as much as i like the group we have, we could probably upgrade everything but dumervil.

it'd be nice to have a NT, but really, fields has done a pretty good job.

LE/RE, but given that it sounds like you're building a mock, i wouldn't rate either as a first round need.

Pretty good assessment above.

Guards are probably the biggest need, however, if you are building a mock it is unlikely that you would take one in the first round.

The entire d-line is solid, but none dominate. If there were the opportunity to take a dominant player there then that would be great, however, they certainly shouldnt be taking a d-lineman just for the sake of it.

ILB is probably a big need as well. Andra Davis is 30 and it is still not clear whether he just needed to lose weight and get out of Cleveland to become useful, or if he is just playing above himself right now.

Diehard
10-30-2009, 11:45 AM
What players on your team are the biggest disappointments?

Obviously we've got a lot of guys playing better than expected, so the disappointments are few and far between. However, Hillis riding the pine is unfortunate... and whatever perceived prejudice McD might have against the FB position matters little when Hillis is making bonehead plays on the field. Ben Hamilton is another questionable player - fine in pass protect, but he's getting no push in the running game.

What are your top 3 needs?

Interior OL
Depth at CB (particularly important with the old guys)
Upgrades at ILB and DE

Depending on how the kicking situation works out I could see both P and K being needs as well.

CT Bronco Fan
10-30-2009, 11:01 PM
Bradford would be perfect for this offense. But with Orton only being 26, I don't see QB being a first round need, as long as he can keep up what he's doing.

the decider13
10-30-2009, 11:03 PM
Bradford would be an awesome fit and I would love for him to be a Bronco. I just doubt it happens if Orton keeps this up.

EvilNixon
10-30-2009, 11:06 PM
I'd do everything to upgrade,because Orton just doesn't have the physical tools to be a franchise QB,IMO

brat316
10-31-2009, 02:06 AM
So question who is a bigger waste of pick so far? Ayers or Smith

Diehard
10-31-2009, 02:14 AM
So question who is a bigger waste of pick so far? Ayers or Smith

Since Ayers has been improving every game and looked really good in the second half against SD, giving us that companion outside pass rusher to go with Doom, I'd question why he'd even be up for consideration as a "waste"...

Smith is the other way around - played well at the start, then got hurt and hasn't shown much since.

D-Unit
11-05-2009, 01:33 AM
Forum Mock update. Denver didn't have a representative so I filled in for the untaken team.

Move 1: Traded 2nd Round pick for RB Tashard Choice and ILB Bradie James.
Reasoning: I felt like this move gave me 2 sure things compared to a 2nd round gamble. Solidifying RB and adding another 3-4 vet for depth/leadership.

Move 2: First Round (15 pick) - QB Sam Bradford, Oklahoma.
Reasoning: I think Josh McDaniels' system is one of the few in the NFL that would be a good fit for Bradford. Orton will still lead the way until he flames out and Bradford is ready.

Move 3: Traded S Renaldo Hill and Third Round pick (94) to Minnesota for OG Anthony Herrera and Third Round pick (71).
Reasoning: Wanted to move up in Round 3 and felt like this was a big jump. Herrera has been a solid road grader for Adrian Peterson and I felt like he would at least improve the current situation at RG. I sacrificed Hill to get it done, but felt like between McBath and Bruton, one of the two could emerge.

Move 4: Traded CB Champ Bailey, TE Daniel Graham, 7th Round Pick to Baltimore for OG Chris Chester, DE Trevor Pryce and a 4th Rounder.
Reasoning: Kind of felt from the comments by njx that Bailey's days as a corner are numbered. Felt like trading him now was the best chance to get whatever remaining value he had left. I really like Chris Chester's versatility at OG and C and think he's been developed very well in Baltimore. With the emphasis that OG was a need, I felt like Chester could be a long term, key cog at LG as he's still young and has prime years left. Pryce returns to Denver with 3-4 experience in Mike Nolan's scheme. He's continued to produce at a high level in Baltimore and he'll finish his career out here while being a leader and teacher for the younger guys. The 4th rounder sweetened the pot and made it easier to pull the trigger.

Move 5: Third Round (pick 71) - CB Syd'Quan Thompson, Cal.
Reasoning: With trading Champ Bailey, I wanted to address the CB spot. Thompson has the track record and consistency that proved to me that he can be a big time playmaker in the mold of Asante Samuel.

yzLHL7Kz1ck

This was just a 3 round draft. Must say, I had fun managing your team. Hopefully, you don't chop my head off.

D-Unit
11-05-2009, 10:31 AM
but you almost had to know that i'd disagree with nearly everything anyways =P

listed in the same order you used:

1 - i don't get the Choice trade. i mean, he's pretty good. but he'd be buried at #2 on the depth chart here, and that's assuming that he wasn't also behind buckhalter (i think choice is a better runner, but i know nothing about him as a receiver). bradie james is a meh. from the limited amount i've seen, i'd rather have a second and andra davis.

2 - i like bradford, and i think (though it hasn't been heavily discussed) i'm one of the few. i think he'd be perfect in this offense, and i think it's clear that orton can be a great guy to have for a couple of years, but a guy who can't throw 20 yards downfield is simply not the answer. i don't think bradford has a huge arm, but i think his arm is certainly better than orton's (i'm sort of assuming that all of this checks out pre-draft, and that he hasn't been turned into pennington by the injury).

3 - *shrug* i could live with it. anything would upgrade hamilton right now, and it makes a big difference on the offense to not be able to run between the tackles ever. assuming mcbath or bruton shows something the rest of this season, i wouldn't hate this.

4 - i think bailey's value may be limited, but i don't think this is a good trade for us (as much as that seems close to bailey's true value, sadly). giving up bailey and graham is a high price for a G and 78 year old DE and fully depletes our talent at CB (which we'll get to in 5). we do NEED a g. but i don't think there's a lot of value in pryce here, and unless richard-stupid-draft-pick-quinn figures out how to play nfl football, this would leave us without any capable blocking tes.

5 - unfortunately, this combination means that teams would be putting up 400 yards per game on us in the air. as much as champ has lost a step, teams still seem to, if not fear him, at least take into account where he is. further, and the reason i'd like him at S, his tackling ability and ability to read plays is still top notch. it would.... hurt to lose that sure tackle on the outside when we happen to blitz heavily.

*shrug*

based on what we told you, not bad.
Thanks. I have no problems with the critique and appreciate the thoughtful response. The intention for Choice is not to be buried as the #2. I think in a committee approach, which he is fully accustomed to, he would have a bigger impact than "being buried on the bench". I chose him because he's a good inside runner, something I'm not fully convinced that Moreno is. He also has soft hands receiving the ball and has improved his blitz pick up, though he's not on the level of Barber. As for Buckhalter, this has probably been a career year for him, but I don't see it lasting long. James is a little more than "meh", as he's coming off a 117 tackle, 8 sack, 3 FF, 4 PD season last year. This is his 7th year in the league and he has good experience for a team in transition to the 3-4. While not a young stud, the ILB draft class is weak if you don't grab one in Round 1.

I know Pryce is old, but he does understand the nuances of Nolan's system. He's still putting up better numbers and is a key member of a good Baltimore defense. I don't expect to get more than a couple years out of him... probably the same that Bailey would give. I wanted to draft a young DE, but the opportunity in the draft just didn't fit the value. I probably would've addressed this if I didn't make the trade for Choice/James. But again, I tried to avoid any bust factors.

As for Thompson, I think he'll be a stud in the NFL one day. If there was a FA period, I would've made CB a top priority. I knew the thought of Smith and Thompson starting is a pretty scary idea and wouldn't be well received.

D-Unit
11-05-2009, 11:20 AM
Here's how the draft went.

1. St. Louis Rams - Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska
2. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Eric Berry, DB, Tennessee
3. Tennessee Titans - Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma
4. Cleveland Browns - Jake Locker, QB, Washington
5. Oakland Raiders - (f/ Kansas City) - Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame
6. San Diego Chargers (f/ Detroit) - Taylor Mays, DB, USC
7. Kansas City (f/ Oakland) - Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State
8. Houston Texans (f/ Washington) - Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State
9. San Francisco 49ers (f/ Carolina) - Joe Haden, CB, Florida
10. Seattle Seahawks - CJ Spiller, RB, Clemson
11. Miami Dolphins - Rolando McClain, LB, Alabama
12. Buffalo Bills - Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers
13. Jacksonville Jaguars - Greg Hardy, DE/OLB, Ole Miss
14. Baltimore Ravens (f/ San Francisco) - Sergio Kindle, DE/OLB, Texas
15. Denver Broncos (f/ Chicago) - Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma
16. San Francisco 49ers (f/ Baltimore) - Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma
17. New England (f/Baltimore) - Brandon Spikes, ILB, Florida
18. Washington Redskins (f/ Houston) - Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa
19. New York Jets - Arthur Jones, DT, Syacuse
20. Green Bay Packers - Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland
21. Philadelphia Eagles - Sean Weatherspoon, LB, Missouri
22. Atlanta Falcons - Patrick Robinson, CB, Florida State
23. Dallas Cowboys - Allen Bailey, DL, Miami
24. New York Jets (f/ Arizona) - Brandon Graham, DE/OLB, Michigan
25. New York Giants - Reshad Jones, S, Georgia
26. Pittsburgh Steelers - Jerry Hughes, DE/OLB, TCU
27. Cincinnati Bengals - Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma
28. New England Patriots - Corey Wootton, DE, Northwestern
29. Minnesota Vikings - Travis Lewis, OLB, Oklahoma
30. Seattle Seahawks (f/ Denver) - Charles Brown, OT, USC
31. Green Bay Packers (f/ New Orleans) - Jahvid Best, RB, California
32. Indianapolis Colts - Everson Griffen, DE, USC

33. Cleveland Browns (f/ St Louis) - Jonathan Dwyer, RB, Georgia Tech
34. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech
35. Baltimore Ravens (f/ New England) - Terrence Cody, DT, Alabama
36. Cleveland Browns - Eric Norwood, DE/OLB, South Carolina
37. Kansas City Chiefs - Arrelious Benn, WR, Illinois
38. Washington Redskins (f/ Detroit) - Deymarius Thomas, WR, Georgia Tech
39. Oakland Raiders - Marvin Austin, DT, North Carolina
40. Washington Redskins - Ciron Black, OT, LSU
41. Carolina Panthers - Brandon Lafell, WR, LSU
42. Seattle Seahawks - Perrish Cox, CB, Oklahoma St.
43. Miami Dolphins - Damian Williams, WR, USC
44. Buffalo Bills - Brian Price, DT, UCLA
45. Baltimore Ravens (f/ New England) - Golden Tate, WR, Notre Dame
46. San Francisco 49ers - Ricky Sapp, DE/OLB, Clemson
47. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Vince Oghobaase, DT, Duke
48. San Diego Chargers - Tyson Alualu, DE, California
49. Detroit Lions (f/ Baltimore) - Selvish Capers, OT, West Virginia
50. Cleveland Browns (f/ Chicago) - Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho
51. Arizona Cardinals (f/ New York Jets) - Carlos Dunlap, DE, Florida
52. Green Bay Packers - Morgan Burnett, S, Georgia Tech
53. Philadelphia Eagles - Jason Fox, OT, Miami
54. Kansas City Chiefs (f/ Atlanta) - Kristopher O'Dowd, OC, USC
55. Dallas Cowboys - Nate Allen, S, South Florida
56. Arizona Cardinals - Rodney Hudson, OG, Florida State
57. New York Giants - Matt Tennant, OC, Boston College
58. Oakland Raiders (f/ Pittsburgh) - Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, USF
59. Cincinnati Bengals - Darrell Stuckey, S, Kansas
60. Detroit Lions (f/ New England Patriots) - Mardy Gilyard, WR, Cincinnati
61. Minnesota Vikings - Colt McCoy, QB, Texas
62. Dallas Cowboys (f/ Denver) - Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee
63. Green Bay Packers (f/ New Orleans) - Jared Odrick, DL, Penn State
64. Indianapolis Colts - Donovan Warren, CB, Michigan

65. St. Louis Rams - Tony Washington, OT, Abilene Christian
66. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Eric Decker, WR, Minnesota
67. Tennessee Titans - Quan Sturdivant, ILB, North Carolina
68. Cleveland Browns - Anthony McCoy, TE, USC
69. Kansas City Chiefs - Brandon Lang, DE/OLB, Troy
70. New England Patriots (f/Detroit) - Ryan Mathews, RB, Fresno State
71. Denver Broncos (f/ Oakland via Minnesota) - Syd'Quan Thompson, CB, California
72. Washington Redskins (Pick forfeited due to Jeremy Jarmon selection)
73. Carolina Panthers - Tim Tebow, QB, Florida
74. Philadelphia Eagles (f/ Seattle) - Noel Devine, RB, West Virginia
75. Miami Dolphins - George Selvie, DE/OLB, USF
76. Buffalo Bills - QB Tony Pike, Cincinnati
77. Jacksonville Jaguars - Mike Neal, DT, Purdue
78. Indianapolis Colts (f/ San Francisco) - Daryl Washington, ILB, Texas Christian
79. Washington Redskins (f/ Chicago) - Joe McKnight, RB, USC
80. Cincinnati Bengals (f/ San Diego) - Brandon Ghee, CB, Wake Forest
81. Detroit Lions (f/ Baltimore) - Mike Johnson, OG, Alabama
82. Houston Texans - Myron Lewis, CB, Vanderbilt
83. Cleveland Browns (f/ New York Jets) - Kyle Calloway, OT, Iowa
84. Green Bay Packers
85. Philadelphia Eagles
86. Atlanta Falcons
87. Dallas Cowboys
88. Arizona Cardinals
89. New York Giants
90. Pittsburgh Steelers
91. San Diego (f/ Cincinnati)
92. Pittsburgh Steelers (f/ Oakland)
93. Pittsburgh Steelers (f/ Oakland)
94. Minnesota Vikings (f/ Denver)
95. Miami Dolphins (f/ New Orleans)
96. Indianapolis Colts

Diehard
11-05-2009, 07:15 PM
Move 1: Traded 2nd Round pick for RB Tashard Choice and ILB Bradie James.

Both Andra Davis and Correll Buckhalter have played well for us. James may be an upgrade to Davis, and Choice more durable than Buckhalter... but is that enough to justify spending a second?

In some ways drafting an ILB makes more sense than trading for a veteran, as we could develop them to replace one of our starting guys in a few years.

Move 2: First Round (15 pick) - QB Sam Bradford, Oklahoma.

I'd be very leery of this move. People gripe about Orton's arm, but Bradford isn't bringing a cannon to the table either. My main concern are the injuries, though. A QB has to be able to take a hit. Sure, he'd get to play out of the shotgun here, but let's not confuse "formation" with "system". McD's offense is a totally different animal than the easy reads & throws that OK's system emphasizes.

Move 3: Traded S Renaldo Hill and Third Round pick (94) to Minnesota for OG Anthony Herrera and Third Round pick (71).

Dawkins may be our inspirational leader, but Hill is our field general. He's one of the key guys who works with the coaching staff on the halftime defensive adjustments. I'd hate to lose him.

That being said, we definitely need the help at OG.

Move 4: Traded CB Champ Bailey, TE Daniel Graham, 7th Round Pick to Baltimore for OG Chris Chester, DE Trevor Pryce and a 4th Rounder.

I like Chris Chester, and glad he got his chance with Yanda out, but this would be a tough trade. Losing both Graham and Bailey hurts. Graham is a leader on the offense and a great blocker - unless our rookie TE really emerges I can't see us making this move.

Move 5: Third Round (pick 71) - CB Syd'Quan Thompson, Cal.

We certainly need another CB to groom behind Champ and Goodman - obviously this becomes an even bigger need if you trade Champ away.

D-Unit
11-06-2009, 10:43 AM
Assuming no trades were done, what are your ideal scenarios for picks 15, 62, & 94...as this draft played out? Interested to know which players you would've taken.

11-10-2009, 05:55 PM
Yeah I think though after looking so bad the past 2 weeks, it's easy to get pessimistic. But if we lose next week to the ******* Redskins, I'm personally delivering that petition to your door.

Seriously though, at this point we SHOULD get 10 wins. As in, not getting 10 wins would be VERY dissapointing and should be the almost worst-case scenario. Redskins, Chiefs twice, Raiders. All 4 should be gimmes. And then San Diego still doesn't look like anything special and the game's in Denver so hopefully we beat them. Even though I had the "sky is falling" mentality last night, we should still make the playoffs.

Timbathia
11-10-2009, 09:04 PM
I am not sure why anyone is getting particularly upset with the last two weeks. This Broncos team is a good football team, nothing more and nothing less. They should beat the bottom half of the NFL almost every time, and they should be in the contest against the top half of the NFL every game. We will lose some games against other good football teams. Considering we have a new coach, new offensive scheme, new defensive scheme, and mostly new players, that is not a bad thing. Being a playoffs caliber team, if only just, is something everyone of us would have taken as the start of the season. I dont expect to be the best team in the NFL, or even top 5, this year, and wasnt thinking it even when we were 6-0. Winning some close games has seemingly unrealistically raised the expectations of a lot of fans to believing this team is better than a good football team. If we lose to the redskins, chiefs, etc. down the stretch, then I will start worrying.

Splat
11-11-2009, 09:27 PM
Hamilton gets benched in Denver (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/11/hamilton-gets-benched-in-denver/)

"Lindsay Jones of the Denver Post reports that Hamilton has been replaced in the starting lineup (http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/11/11/broncos-make-o-line-change/) by former Patriots guard Ross Hochstein."

Diehard
11-12-2009, 02:16 PM
can't hurt.

It was necessary. The problem goes beyond the scheme/blocking change issues... he's simply getting manhandled out there.

Do I think Hochstein is the solution? Hell no. He's a utility guy and therefore best suited for a backup role. However, we don't have a lot of options at this point.

Timbathia
11-12-2009, 04:13 PM
It was necessary. The problem goes beyond the scheme/blocking change issues... he's simply getting manhandled out there.

Do I think Hochstein is the solution? Hell no. He's a utility guy and therefore best suited for a backup role. However, we don't have a lot of options at this point.

I hate to see this happen to guys that have been so good for so long. It is always much better to retire while you still have game rather than get dumped because you are no longer up to it.

I really hope Harris gets healthy soon. Hochstein may be okay if he is the weak link in the o-line (we can scheme around that), but when Polumbus is letting guys through on the right all game, it becomes infinitely harder.

Diehard
11-12-2009, 04:54 PM
I hate to see this happen to guys that have been so good for so long. It is always much better to retire while you still have game rather than get dumped because you are no longer up to it.

He's been on thin ice due to the concussion problems, but IIRC his present problem is his hamstring. Injuries aside, the weak push inside has been a issue for quite a while and contributed to the goal line problems we've had the last few years.

Diehard
11-13-2009, 11:07 AM
how do we upgrade the spot? i think dennison can still capably find guys that fit in the later rounds, but i don't see a rookie as the immediate answer.

D-Unit had some interesting ideas... but even more to the point, isn't Logan Mankins a FA at the end of the season? The Pats tend to be stingy and the connection to our HC certainly wouldn't hurt our chances.

as a complete aside, has wiegmann ever played G? and not that danni boatwright doesn't have a weird face, but how the **** are they married? it's like jeff garcia and whatsername.

As far as I know, he's strictly played C... and yes, they are an odd couple.

11-13-2009, 12:48 PM
Maybe Weigmann is hung like a Bronco.

Sorry for putting that image in your head.

Splat
12-08-2009, 04:19 PM
Broncos lose tackle Ryan Harris for season (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/08/broncos-lose-tackle-ryan-harris-for-season/)

Diehard
12-08-2009, 04:40 PM
Broncos lose tackle Ryan Harris for season (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/08/broncos-lose-tackle-ryan-harris-for-season/)

Yeah, not fun but expected when he went off the field. That being said, Polumbus has done pretty well in the running game... his main problem is the pass protection against speed rushers.

Timbathia
12-08-2009, 05:11 PM
Damn annoying that a freakin toe injury can put a guy out for the season. Cut the bloody thing off - then he will be available for playoffs (an Australian rules footballer did that with his finger some years ago - cut it off as it wasnt going to heal in time for playoffs).

12-08-2009, 06:16 PM
I just hope Orton doesn't get hurt. I don't think this game is very winnable to be honest, but luckily the next three are.

the decider13
12-08-2009, 11:45 PM
Hopefully Harris comes back healthy next year. He was fantastic last year and very good this year, he's a key member of the team for the future. Polumbus is ok I guess, he has looked a lot better than I expected so far this year.

Chris
12-10-2009, 10:01 AM
Polumbus is a piece of garbage. He has been owned in pass protection every game this year and is average in the running game. Losing Harris hurts tremendously.

Monomach
01-04-2010, 01:23 PM
http://twitter.com/fs3142/status/7374458384
http://twitter.com/fs3142/status/7375172404

Marshall took everything out of his locker.

Even the nameplate.

DiG
01-12-2010, 10:22 PM
you guys thinks that mcdaniels will cut peyton hillis? hes a shanny guy that id love in DC and isnt an offense player that mcdaniels seems to really like or try to work into the offense. with all the backs on your roster i cant see all of them being kept around and id guess mcdaniels would keep guys he brought in before shanny guys. thoughts on both hillis and whether you think hed be available?

jCut
01-12-2010, 10:41 PM
I think Hillis is as good as gone, sadly.

Diehard
01-12-2010, 10:48 PM
From McDaniels' end of season presser... after talking about the need to have a deep group of running backs:

"(Hillis) is the same guy I described earlier. He's got a lot of different talents and abilities, and we're glad he's on our team. We'll look forward to moving forward and seeing how his role can maybe be different and more productive next year."

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9740

When I listened to the audio a while back, it sounded to me like McD was basically admitting that certain players (e.g. Royal, Hillis) didn't get used to the full extent of their ability, and that was something he (McD) needed work on. Obviously, the players have a part to play in that as well - they need to understand their responsibilities in the scheme and be able to execute on the field.

jjmt2500
01-13-2010, 06:26 AM
It looks like we took Rick Dennison from you guys. I dont know much about him, what do you guys think of him???

Timbathia
01-13-2010, 04:34 PM
From McDaniels' end of season presser... after talking about the need to have a deep group of running backs:

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9740

When I listened to the audio a while back, it sounded to me like McD was basically admitting that certain players (e.g. Royal, Hillis) didn't get used to the full extent of their ability, and that was something he (McD) needed work on. Obviously, the players have a part to play in that as well - they need to understand their responsibilities in the scheme and be able to execute on the field.

I think a big part of Royal's issues is him dealing with press coverage. Hopefully they sort that out in the offseason, or McD figures out how to get him open.

To me it seems the problem with Hillis is more of a case on McD not quite knowing what to do with him.

Diehard
01-13-2010, 07:11 PM
I think a big part of Royal's issues is him dealing with press coverage. Hopefully they sort that out in the offseason, or McD figures out how to get him open.

FWIW, something I heard from a few sources was Royal didn't end up as our version of Welker because he had difficulty adjusting to a role that emphasized reading the D and find the hole in the coverage.

Bengals78
01-19-2010, 08:27 AM
so i was asked about scheffler today, and roughly what his value would be...

anyone see the idiots getting more than a 6th or so for him?

Bengals would be foolish not to go after this guy if he comes that cheap!
So we wont.

01-19-2010, 11:50 AM
Bengals would be foolish not to go after this guy if he comes that cheap!
So we wont.

We'd be foolish to sell so low!
So we will.

Bengals78
01-19-2010, 11:55 AM
We'd be foolish to sell so low!
So we will.

Bengals and Broncos, a match made in misguided front office heaven.

Timbathia
01-19-2010, 03:02 PM
I think we will ask for a third and end up with a fourth for Scheff. Still a great deal for Cinci.

Da-Phins
01-19-2010, 08:28 PM
What can you guys tell me about Mike Nolan's defense?

Timbathia
01-20-2010, 07:11 PM
What can you guys tell me about Mike Nolan's defense?

Nothing that should be relevant to the Dolphins IMO. We went away from a 4-3 despite not having the right personnel, so rather than a traditional 3-4, we used a 5-2. Both OLBs played at the line of scrimmage, as they just didnt have the athleticism/range or tackling ability of real LBs. The idea was to disguise who was coming from the 5 man front so that Nolan could get pressure on the QB, and hope that having that many guys on the line of scrimmage could make up for the undersized (and not particularly talented) guys at NT and DE to help stop the run. It worked for half the season, and then kind of fell apart when teams figured out how to run on it, and how to expose the poor coverage skills of our OLBs and lack of a nickel CB. It was quite useful scheme when we were in front and teams had to pass, but very ineffectual when we were behind and team loaded up and ran on us (especially because the left side of the def couldnt tackle).

Nolan did a good job with what he had, but the personnel caught up with him in the end. I guess this is why I am not as upset as some with the late season collapse - the defense finally go exposed to a degree after over-achieving, and the o-line fell apart with injuries and poor depth. The roster needs more rebuilding.

Da-Phins
01-20-2010, 09:46 PM
Did he like to attack alot and did he move around his passrushers to create mismatches?

Timbathia
01-20-2010, 11:09 PM
Did he like to attack alot and did he move around his passrushers to create mismatches?

Yeah, quite a bit. 2 of our 39 sacks came from guys in the front 3. When you have DEs and a NT that ineffectual at getting to the QB, you need attack a lot and to get very creative in changing where you pass-rush from.

Splat
01-28-2010, 12:59 PM
Martindale is the pick in Denver (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/28/martindale-is-the-pick-in-denver/)

A long-time Raiders assistant will now be running Denver's defense.

The Broncos announced Thursday that Don "Wink" Martindale will be promoted (http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_14286824#ixzz0dvxjL560) from linebackers coach to defensive coordinator.

jCut
01-28-2010, 04:14 PM
Better than Pees, imo.

jCut
01-28-2010, 04:50 PM
At least we'll be keeping the same system.

DiG
01-28-2010, 05:01 PM
you think that the broncos would have any interest in a brandon marshall trade with the skins that swapped first round picks if the skins added either a 2011 3rd round pick or a 2010 4th round pick? it would give the broncos a shot at eric berry, mccoy, mclain, or a qb.

jCut
01-28-2010, 05:15 PM
I don't think so. We have A LOT of needs. We don't exactly need one elite player. I would rather trade Marshall straight up for a late-1st.

Diehard
01-28-2010, 05:20 PM
you think that the broncos would have any interest in a brandon marshall trade with the skins that swapped first round picks if the skins added either a 2011 3rd round pick or a 2010 4th round pick? it would give the broncos a shot at eric berry, mccoy, mclain, or a qb.

I don't think switching picks would be high on their agenda. Considering the players you listed:

McCoy - maybe
McClain - positional value for ILB is dubious in the top 5
Berry - luxury pick, we have 3 young safeties already
QB - doesn't really fit with McD's past history

I just don't see the compelling reason to move up. Their current pick is in pretty good spot. I think another mid-late first would be much more appealing than a swap.

DiG
01-28-2010, 08:00 PM
it would give us a "shot" at mccoy? like he'll be off the board at 10/11?

either way, it would be massively overvaluing a top five pick.

you think gerald mccoy will be there at 10/11???

jCut
01-28-2010, 09:50 PM
you think gerald mccoy will be there at 10/11???

I think he confused Colt with Gerald.

Diehard
01-29-2010, 02:46 PM
i don't think he'd be there at your pick, nor am i sure he's a fit at 3-4 NT.

He would be a DE in a 3-4, and probably quite a good one.

I agree 100% with your assessment of his availability - chances are the Lions and Bucs will both grab DT's early.

crossroads
02-04-2010, 05:48 PM
Marshall Now willing to stay with Broncos (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/04/marshall-now-willing-to-stay-with-broncos/)

Timbathia
02-04-2010, 06:56 PM
Marshall Now willing to stay with Broncos (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/04/marshall-now-willing-to-stay-with-broncos/)

Hopefully this increases his trade value, as now other teams arent thinking that we have no choice but to off-load him.

OTcoach
02-05-2010, 01:19 PM
Hopefully this increases his trade value, as now other teams arent thinking that we have no choice but to off-load him.

Any chance you guys trade up and go for Clausen?

Timbathia
02-05-2010, 08:05 PM
Any chance you guys trade up and go for Clausen?

zero IMO. orton is not the limiting factor, not by a long way.

Diehard
02-07-2010, 02:00 AM
Orton's cement feet are a bigger problem than his arm. No ability to elude pressure makes it difficult to convert on 3rd + long unless the pass protect is really solid.

If Bradford slips to us *and* there are no lingering injury concerns, then I can see that pick happening. Clausen's attitude is even worse than Cutler's - I don't want him on my team.

Splat
02-23-2010, 05:04 PM
Broncos release Wiegmann, Jordan (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/23/broncos-release-wiegmann-jordan/)

Diehard
02-23-2010, 11:24 PM
Wiegmann - was getting thrown around like a rag doll last season.

Jordan - was a McD guy, but didn't really contribute much on the field.

Good cuts, IMO. Now, where is Jarvis Moss hiding?

rascal
02-24-2010, 05:04 PM
let's be fair. orton's inability to throw the ball 15 feet in the air is A limiting factor. that said, it's not worth the cost to move up. if a qb falls, and mcclain and haden are off the board, i wouldn't mind using a pick on one of the top two.

Haden? Seriously...have you not seen the Broncos the past several years? I'm sick and tired of using picks on the secondary when our front seven continues to be one of the worst in the league.

Morton
02-25-2010, 11:57 AM
Why does everyone think that Kyle Orton can't be a franchise QB?

Diehard
02-25-2010, 12:52 PM
Why does everyone think that Kyle Orton can't be a franchise QB?

1. cement feet
2. a stiff breeze can knock him down
3. mediocre arm

He's okay when everything is going according to plan, but struggles with adversity. We need someone who can step up when the game is on the line.

rascal
02-25-2010, 09:11 PM
let me know what front seven guy you want to use a top ten pick on, outside of mcclain, who i mentioned. can't think of any with any remote value at our pick? well no ****. haden would present great value at a position that ALSO needs addressing. meanwhile, quality 3-4 d-linemen and LBs can be found in later rounds.

I would rather reach on a Williams or Dunlap that addresses a specific need than waste another pick on a CB who would just sit on the bench for several years.

rascal
02-25-2010, 09:12 PM
1. cement feet
2. a stiff breeze can knock him down
3. mediocre arm

He's okay when everything is going according to plan, but struggles with adversity. We need someone who can step up when the game is on the line.

Reminds me of Brad Johnson to be honest. Yeah might win you a championship, but the rest of your team has to be incredible.

Don Vito
02-26-2010, 12:20 AM
I hear a lot of anti-Alphonso Smith sentiment, especially from njx. Is he really looking that bad? Didn't you trade a pick this year to move up and get him as well? Sorry, I'm just curious about the guy because he had some hype going for him before the draft then sort of slipped post combine if I'm not mistaken.

Don Vito
02-26-2010, 12:49 AM
Yeah he was only a rookie last year so he could develop, but from what I remember coming out of college the only knock on him was his size. Some people said timed speed would be an issue for draft position but he didn't run too bad of a 40 at 4.52. I thought his instincts, athleticism, coverage, and tackling were supposed to be sound. Time will tell.

Diehard
02-26-2010, 02:21 AM
I thought Smith played pretty well in the early going, including some nice plays in run support, but then he got dinged up (ankle?) and really struggled after that.

I think he's got the talent to contribute at this level, but the matchups with the bigger receivers favored by our divisional rivals will never be favorable for him. He'll really have to work to be a starter... hopefully he's willing to take up that challenge.

rascal
02-26-2010, 05:42 PM
yes. just like darrent williams. and foxworth. and alphonso smith before it was obvious he sucked. oh right, they all played extensively. do you actually watch this team?

and seriously? dunlap? to play what position, exactly? and you're worried about a CB sitting on the bench for a few years? :rolleyes:

brilliant draft strategy. did haden kick your dog or something?

You are an idiot if you want to use another draft pick at CB. That is probably the strongest part of the team sadly.

Dunlap would be an upgrade over any DE we have.

Nothing against Haden I think he will be a good NFL CB. Unfortunately that, along with LT, is the position that needs the least amount of attention (especially in the first three rounds).

If you are content watching the defensive front get manhandled again like they have for the past decade then go ahead and waste a pick on a CB who will play 30% of the snaps if you are lucky. That is ******* brilliant.

EvilNixon
02-26-2010, 06:01 PM
5amyBAqGHq0

Alphonso Smith at work.

rascal
02-26-2010, 09:48 PM
champ is average at best now?

Thanks for confirming you are an idiot.

Jimmy
02-26-2010, 10:01 PM
champ is average at best now?

Thanks for confirming you are an idiot.

he's certainly not pro-bowl caliber. the only reason he got the votes he got is because of the 2003-2006 champ bailey

one guy who i really like, who i'd actually prefer over haden is perrish cox. guy really reminds me of champ in several ways, and i feel like scott's description of him as a poor tackler is very inaccurate. I also think he is faster than haden, shouldn't be listed at 4.45.

here's a small clip so you guys can see him for yourself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDEyXfKr5gA
certainly worth a 2nd i.m.o.

haden-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI984aFuo28

02-27-2010, 08:56 PM
Rolando is my ideal realistic pick. Last time I asked, I didn't even think we had a shot, but the draftniks haven't been kind to him. Hopefully we get him.

Seriously though, Champ is average for a #1 CB now. He's still good, but he's not a top 10 guy anymore.

rascal
03-01-2010, 05:01 PM
thanks for confirming you didn't watch a single game. but hey, personal attacks are the way to go around here.

I watched every game and recorded every game.

You are the one that started it. And you are supposedly a mod.

rascal
03-01-2010, 05:02 PM
Rolando is my ideal realistic pick. Last time I asked, I didn't even think we had a shot, but the draftniks haven't been kind to him. Hopefully we get him.

Seriously though, Champ is average for a #1 CB now. He's still good, but he's not a top 10 guy anymore.

I have no problem with Rolando or Williams.

I disagree.

Splat
03-03-2010, 02:01 PM
Broncos place first-round tender only on Marshall (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/03/broncos-place-first-round-tender-only-on-marshall/)

Orton gets first-round tender, Scheffer awarded a second (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/03/orton-gets-first-round-tender-scheffer-a-second/)

Jimmy
03-03-2010, 02:22 PM
Broncos place first-round tender only on Marshall (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/03/broncos-place-first-round-tender-only-on-marshall/)

Orton gets first-round tender, Scheffer awarded a second (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/03/orton-gets-first-round-tender-scheffer-a-second/)

heard schefter report this on espn, I think scheffler's tender and orton's tenders are a round too high... I suppose we are allowing teams to sign either player only if they really want them.

as for Marshall... great movie. glad we put the 1st rd instead of a 1 & a 3, this is 1 step closer for him being out thedoor. this would give us the capabilty if trading up. (who for?)

CT Bronco Fan
03-03-2010, 04:29 PM
it seems highly likely then, that marshall is gone, and mcxanders get another draft pick to waste. ugh.

If a team wants to give up a first for Marshall anyways.

I too think that he might be gone since they didn't give him the 1st/3rd tenure. Hopefully we'll get a high pick and not waste it.

Jimmy
03-03-2010, 05:14 PM
If a team wants to give up a first for Marshall anyways.

I too think that he might be gone since they didn't give him the 1st/3rd tenure. Hopefully we'll get a high pick and not waste it.

Regardless of the location of the first round pick we'd be compensated with, it would give us more ammo to trade up a few slots for McClain.

That extra first might be in the 15-23 range which would be extremely ideal. We all seem to think that there really isn't a lot of value with anyone at #11 anymore besides Mcclain or Bryant, so we could just ship this pick to a team for some future picks, or we could squat on it and take Williams or Cody.

03-03-2010, 09:09 PM
^^ We all know that's going to happen.

****. Our offense is useless without Brandon Marshall. If we lose him, we're gonna get a top pick next year.

Wait. Whoever we trade that pick to to get this year's Alphonso Smith will have a high pick.

Timbathia
03-03-2010, 09:50 PM
If we trade Marshall for a late first, which turns into Williams or Iupati, then I would have no issue taking Bryant if both Haden and McClain are gone at 11. I just dont want Bryant to be the only player we get in the first.

That being said, I dont think the success of the offense hinges on Marshall. If we can run the ball and throw screen passes that work, then the receivers will take care of themselves. Marshall had big games and we lost. Gaffney had a big game and we lost. If we ran the ball well and controlled the clock, we won.

Jimmy
03-03-2010, 10:24 PM
i don't think we have a qb who can throw to downfield receivers, which is why i really don't want bryant. marshall fills a perfect niche in our current offense, in that he can make plays underneath, which about the only place orton can get the ball consistently. why is why it's still so shocking to me that royal couldn't find a place on the field. regardless, i don't see bryant as a similar player, and i don't think there's any way that orton can get him the ball consistently.

i'm also entertained by the idea of us running "screen passes that work". i don't think mcdaniels has any of those in his playbook.

So much irony there. Our o-line seems to be soooo competent blocking, yet when their assignments are to "not block" on a screen, they **** up completely.

Jimmy
03-03-2010, 10:25 PM
i'm also entertained by the idea of us running "screen passes that work". i don't think mcdaniels has any of those in his playbook.

So much irony there. Our o-line seems to be just fine blocking in this complicated offense, yet when their assignments are to simply "not block" on a screen, they struggle in executing.

Maybe we should just sign Kwame Harris.

Timbathia
03-03-2010, 11:20 PM
i don't think we have a qb who can throw to downfield receivers, which is why i really don't want bryant. marshall fills a perfect niche in our current offense, in that he can make plays underneath, which about the only place orton can get the ball consistently. why is why it's still so shocking to me that royal couldn't find a place on the field. regardless, i don't see bryant as a similar player, and i don't think there's any way that orton can get him the ball consistently.

When throwing passes underneath, the receiver has to beat press coverage. Royal couldnt last year. Hopefully he figures it out this season.

There are not many receivers who can do what Marshall can. Bryant is not the beast Marshall is, but he has good size, good hands and is good at coming back to the QB. He wouldnt be terrible in our offense.

I can remember a few screen passes that did work, but more because they went to Dan Graham or Marshall and they just ran over DBs.

Diehard
03-04-2010, 12:20 AM
Unless Bryant *really* convinces the team that he won't be a disruption, I seriously doubt the team will consider him even if BMarsh does move on. The team just went through the headaches of dealing with a diva receiver, you see what happened with Crabtree last draft (who I believe has the same agent as Bryant)... I just don't see the Broncos ignoring their entire draft philosophy in a panic move to address WR in round 1.

Anyway, I think the tender levels make a certain amount of sense. The 1st round tender on Marshall may very well be aimed at using the market to establish his contract $ value (whereas the 1st & 3rd tender would just be too big a hit for many other teams to stomach). See what kind of offers come in, and if the dollars are reasonable just choose to match.

Diehard
03-04-2010, 12:22 PM
honestly curious (not just being a sarcastic prick for once), what do you think our draft philosophy actually is?

Here's Mr X's explaination:

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=349&videoID=3766&type=broncosTV&year=&month=

Summary of Broncos prospect: smart, tough, versatile, good team player

It will be interesting to see how this plays out on draft day.

Jimmy
03-04-2010, 06:46 PM
Seriously though... How are we going to compensate for Marshall? McDaniels clearly isn't a Royal fan, and unless we use a 1st/2nd on a WR, we have nobody that McDaniels feels is right at #1/2

Jimmy
03-04-2010, 09:40 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=3653&line=169009&spln=1

I don't know how credible this Charles Robinson is but I sure don't want this Marshall drama stretched out any longer. The last thing I want is some flat footed boogie for 5 weeks, where we do absolutely nothing and wait for people to bid, and then realize we're asking too much. We will lower the asking price to a second which is too damn low, were gonna keep him, and there's going to be even more drama. Scratch that, I have absolutely no clue what is going to happen, I feel like a little boy lost in a super market right now. I just want this Marshall situation to end to be honest.

Jimmy
03-05-2010, 03:17 PM
seahawks hosting marshall tomorrow.

if they sign him... hello pick #6

Trade up for Suh, McCoy, Bradford? Suh, McCoy not prototypical 3-4 NT's

Stay put and take Clausen?

Hope Berry falls to 6?

McClain?

Timbathia
03-05-2010, 05:28 PM
IMO there is no way we get the 6th pick from seattle. we dont really want it, and i doubt they would pay that much for marshall. if he goes to seattle, it will be via trade and not the offer sheet.

03-05-2010, 06:09 PM
I hope we settle for nothing less than our original pick in a trade. 2nd rounder would just be stupid. At least picking in the mid first there would be a small chance of drafting a good player.

Jimmy
03-05-2010, 06:45 PM
FYI Denver Just Signed This Guy

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/~/media/90FD60A8A4D247CC878E87193F167553.ashx

Probably at DE, no? Could play NT.

Diehard
03-05-2010, 06:51 PM
FYI Denver Just Signed This Guy:

Probably at DE, no? Could play NT.

Did Baltimore slide Ngata over to NT when Kelly Gregg was injured? That was when Bannan got a starting job.

I could see a DL rotation that has him putting in some time at both spots (along with DT when we go to a 4 man front). That's the kind of versatility McD likes.

jCut
03-05-2010, 08:48 PM
Broncos just signed Nate Jones to compete with Alphonso Smith to be the nickel back. I think this ends any speculation that Denver will go DB early in the draft.

Jimmy
03-05-2010, 09:34 PM
Broncos just signed Nate Jones to compete with Alphonso Smith to be the nickel back. I think this ends any speculation that Denver will go DB early in the draft.

If we were drafting a corner in the first or second round, I'm pretty we wouldn't be drafting him to play nickleback. Sure, maybe year one he would play nickleback... but you don't draft a player just for his year one value.

You don't... pass up a decent corner round 1 or 2 just because of "Nathan Jones..." Who I've actually never heard of. If you have a need for a true #2 corner (or a replacement for Champ, or Alphonso) you fill it. Who the **** cares if he isn't a lock to be a nickleback corner his first year? The idea is to develop him and turn him into a #1 if you draft him early, which is why I don't get how you could possibly claim Nathan Jones would prevent that. I mean, I'd understand if the player we signed were say... Lito Sheppard. But Nathan Jones?

Second off, "DB" is a very broad term that encompasses CBs and safetys. The signing of this scrub cornerback who probably won't see the field much will not prevent us from going safety round 1 or 2 if we really want to, especially if Berry is on the board at 11 for some strange reason, or we get an urge to go safety round two. Dawkins won't be around forever, and I usually think taking the best player is the best option, unless your quarterback is Manning, Brees or Brady, and the best player left is a QB

jCut
03-06-2010, 02:24 AM
If we were drafting a corner in the first or second round, I'm pretty we wouldn't be drafting him to play nickleback. Sure, maybe year one he would play nickleback... but you don't draft a player just for his year one value.

You don't... pass up a decent corner round 1 or 2 just because of "Nathan Jones..." Who I've actually never heard of. If you have a need for a true #2 corner (or a replacement for Champ, or Alphonso) you fill it. Who the **** cares if he isn't a lock to be a nickleback corner his first year? The idea is to develop him and turn him into a #1 if you draft him early, which is why I don't get how you could possibly claim Nathan Jones would prevent that. I mean, I'd understand if the player we signed were say... Lito Sheppard. But Nathan Jones?

Second off, "DB" is a very broad term that encompasses CBs and safetys. The signing of this scrub cornerback who probably won't see the field much will not prevent us from going safety round 1 or 2 if we really want to, especially if Berry is on the board at 11 for some strange reason, or we get an urge to go safety round two. Dawkins won't be around forever, and I usually think taking the best player is the best option, unless your quarterback is Manning, Brees or Brady, and the best player left is a QB

Nathan Jones is not a "scrub cornerback" in the eyes of McDaniels. He is our new nickelback, if he beats out Alphonso Smith. We will not draft a corner in the first three rounds to be 5th on the depth chart. I would put good money on that. McDaniels is obviously comfortable with Champ and Goodman as the starters for the time being. I don't necessarily agree with his strategy, but it's reality. And I also disagree with your assessment of our safeties. McBath showed decent range as a rookie and will likely be the replacement once Dawkins retires. Hill is entrenched on the other side. Bruton has shown he is at least a valuable backup. You don't draft a player to be either the 5th safety or corner in the early rounds. That is just plain stupid.

And Lito Sheppard? Seriously?

Jimmy
03-06-2010, 06:26 AM
Let's not forget... I'm not arguing that we will draft a corner early on, I'm arguing that Nathan Jones would have absolutely zero to do with the decision of not drafting a corner rounds 1-3.

He is our new nickelback, if he beats out Alphonso Smith.

Which he won't. I don't care how bad Alphonso Smith is, McDaniels is more likely to eat crow drafting another corner early than putting Nathan at #3.

Hill is entrenched on the other side. Bruton has shown he is at least a valuable backup.

I'd like to think that our organization strives for a little more than "valuable backups". As for McBath, you're right. He did show some promise. But we could still use another safety in the near future. Bruton will never be an average starter in my eyes, he will always be a solid special teamer and a backup, but to say that he is good enough to prevent us from drafting a future starter, I am sure that 99% of us would argue that being a "good backup" doesn't cut it in this league. You'd like to give the guy some time to develop, but I think If a guy like Eric Berry miraculously rolled around, you can't pass.

You don't draft a player to be either the 5th safety or corner in the early rounds.

You're right, you don't. You take a guy who is great like Earl Thomas or someone you think has a lot of upside, and you develop them. Just because they start over 5 guys year one doesn't mean they aren't the future. Also... when you invest an early round pick on a guy of that talent... Chances are he's going to be high on the depth chart as is. If you see a guy you like, you pull the trigger, especially if you're teams future is average at that position.

And Lito Sheppard? Seriously?
Yes? Seriously? Does it surprise you that I think that a 28 year old 2 Time Pro Bowl Corner who might be on the decline (but is still what we call "talented") is better than Nathan ****ing Jones? Yes. Yes I think signing a two time pro bowler would hypothetically prevent us from drafting a corner early on. I also believe in evolution and global warming. Seriously.

jCut
03-06-2010, 02:04 PM
It's obvious to me that you know nothing about Nathan Jones. Granted, he's no world-beater, but he did have a solid season with Miami as their nickelback. Lito Sheppard had a terrible season last year and will probably command a lot more money than he's worth (due to his history, like you said, as a pro-bowler).

And if you agree that Hill and McBath could be the future at safety once Dawk retires, how could you justify taking a guy like Earl Thomas when you could be filling holes at DL/OL/QB/LB/WR? We can't afford to be making luxury picks.

Once again, let me reiterate. I don't necessarily agree with this approach. I am merely relaying my opinion of what McDaniels' strategy may be.

Diehard
03-07-2010, 10:12 AM
And if you agree that Hill and McBath could be the future at safety once Dawk retires, how could you justify taking a guy like Earl Thomas when you could be filling holes at DL/OL/QB/LB/WR? We can't afford to be making luxury picks.

We are pretty much set at safety. I think we could use another young corner to groom behind Jones (Smith seems better suited to play outside rather than in the slot), but that doesn't need to be an early pick. From a need perspective, any of the other positions you mentioned would make more sense than the secondary (well, WR only if Marshall is gone).

All that being said, I think the team will go with the "scheme-BPA" approach, that is, look for the best player available who fits what you are trying to do. If the highest rated guy on their board based on this approach is a CB, they'll take him.

Jimmy
03-07-2010, 09:14 PM
It's obvious to me that you know nothing about Nathan Jones. Granted, he's no world-beater, but he did have a solid season with Miami as their nickelback. Lito Sheppard had a terrible season last year and will probably command a lot more money than he's worth (due to his history, like you said, as a pro-bowler).

Once again, let me reiterate. I don't necessarily agree with this approach. I am merely relaying my opinion of what McDaniels' strategy may be.

Clearly I don't, because I said I've never heard of the guy. I just think this is just an opinionated argument. I don't think our safetys hack it. And I'm huge into the "draft the best player available" philosophy. That's just the way I am, and I don't think you can hold it against me, when it clearly works with some teams (and doesn't with others)

Second, I don't think Hill is the future. I don't recall mentioning his name in my previous posts. So that leaves one safety spot to be vacated, and I'd like to think Berry would vacate either. IMHO.

Diehard
03-08-2010, 11:30 AM
wait, renaldo hill is the future at safety? the guy is going to be 32 a game or two into next season. that's not a 'future'. that's barely a 'present'.

LOL. Hey, Hill is a nice caretaker compared so some of the garbage we trotted out on the field towards the end of Shanahan's tenure...

McBath should be Hill's replacement. He was a centerfielder at TxTech and IMO showed enough this year to be cautiously optimistic about his future role on the team.

jCut
03-08-2010, 05:35 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure future was the right word.

jCut
03-08-2010, 06:01 PM
saw the jamal williams rumor in the FA thread. i'd be ******* stoked. i'd think NT should still be a draft need, but i think it could drop to a 5th+ round area, where i think the value would be better. further, we could let whoever learn from a guy who was, at one point, one of the two best NTs in the league.

What was the main reason for SD releasing him? Money?

Timbathia
03-08-2010, 06:47 PM
i feel like there may have been health concerns as well? he's also clearly not the same guy he was a few years ago, but like i posted on the other thread, that still makes him leaps and bounds better than the crap we have.

i'd guess that also 'officially' puts bannan at DE?

Bannan is a rotation guy (like the rest of our d-line). He will play some NT or DE on 1st and 2nd downs, but he wont likely be in on passing downs. I dont think he normally plays a lot of snaps as apparently he wears down quickly. He is surely not the answer to our defensive woes from last year, but should be more solid against the run than most guys we already have.

bigfreak314
03-08-2010, 06:51 PM
So if Eric Berry slips to the 11th pick would you pass on the guy who could be a Rod Woodson type player for the next 10 years starting off @ CB and moving to FS in his later years

CT Bronco Fan
03-08-2010, 08:24 PM
Some Bronco News:

Jamal Williams formerly of the Chargers is set to take a physical in Denver.

Jarvis Green formerly of the Patriots is in Denver for a visit.

With Williams Green and Bannan our 3-4 front line just got a whole lot formidable, assuming Williams is healthy.

bigfreak314
03-08-2010, 08:41 PM
Some Bronco News:

Jamal Williams formerly of the Chargers is set to take a physical in Denver.

Jarvis Green formerly of the Patriots is in Denver for a visit.

With Williams Green and Bannan our 3-4 front line just got a whole lot formidable, assuming Williams is healthy.

I like the Jamal Williams signing. Might be the Ted Washington going to the Patriots type impact until Denver finds a NT of the future

bigfreak314
03-08-2010, 08:47 PM
.... what?

Remember the success Rod Woodson had @ CB when he 1st started his career for the Steelers?

I believe Eric Berry is that good if not better. If he falls to the #11 pick I say grab him, but that's my opinion

Diehard
03-09-2010, 12:27 AM

I like these moves, not only because they help address our weaknesses along the lines, but because they take a lot of pressure off on draft day... with some solid veterans holding the fort, we can look to pick DL when the value is good and take the time to develop them properly.

bigfreak314
03-09-2010, 09:14 AM
rod woodson was, arguably, one of the two best CBs of all time. i don't see that in eric berry. that said, depending on how the board falls, i wuoldn't be opposed to taking him.

Yes but Rod Woodson played in a time where they actually let the CBs play more agressive and physical, which I sorely long for those days again. Now a days they make it almost impossible for CB to become shutdown corners because officials are so flag happy, although Darell Reives is pretty damn close. But that being said I hope Denver gets him b/c they are a good organization who I believe is on the rise. I dont want him to go the way of Nahamdi Amsoughah and get sucked into a bad organization for all his career.
Also doesn't hurt that Berry seems to have a chip on his shoulder already and a personal vendetta to prove to the critics he will be great.

ps I know I butchered his name

crossroads
03-09-2010, 05:07 PM
Denver officially signed Jamal Williams
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/09/jamal-williams-joins-denvers-defensive-line-makeover/

and Jarvis Green
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/09/green-is-going-to-denver/

CT Bronco Fan
03-09-2010, 05:13 PM
Denver officially signed Jamal Williams
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/09/jamal-williams-joins-denvers-defensive-line-makeover/

and Jarvis Green
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/09/green-is-going-to-denver/

Great news.

Bannan and Green as Ends, with McBean / Peterson back ups, and then Williams at NT with Fields, our DL looks pretty solid assuming Jamal Williams is fully recovered.

Timbathia
03-10-2010, 05:16 PM
honestly curious (not just being a sarcastic prick for once), what do you think our draft philosophy actually is?

Based off two free agency periods and one draft my take is this:

We dont ever want to be drafting due to a pressing need. We are using the draft to take players that we believe will excel in the system that we want to run (the smart, tough, intelligent, versatile, blah, blah....). The position they play is of secondary importance to our opinion on how good they can be in the system. A drafted player being able to produce immediately is not that important. Free agency is for plugging holes or immediate needs, and only with guys that are solid or dependable at their position (and not with big ticket players). By spreading the wealth in free agency rather than blowing all our cash on one guy, we ensure that we have a dependable guy at every position before the draft starts. This assures us of being in the position that we dont have to reach for someone or compromise the type of player we are looking for by drafting to fill an immediate need.

Agree or disagree?

Diehard
03-10-2010, 06:23 PM
Based on comments from McD and X, it sounded like they were pretty rushed to get ready for the draft last year, which may explain some of the inconsistencies.

I think you'll see the approach X outlined in that video clip in effect come draft day. The fact that "need" is downplayed to some extent could lead to some interesting situations.

Whether that will lead to any good picks is another question entirely.

Diehard
03-11-2010, 01:42 PM
It appears the Broncos had a private workout for Tony Pike and Mardy Gilyard

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Sources-Broncos-work-out-Pike-Gilyard.html

Interesting. I can see why they'd like Gilyard (dangerous slot receiver and return man) and Pike is the kind of tall, smart QB that McD seems to favor.

BamaFalcon59
03-11-2010, 02:02 PM
How is that draft from last year looking? I realize that there wasn't a ton of production from the group last year, but I liked Moreno, Ayers, Smith, McBath, and Bruton.

Jimmy
03-11-2010, 02:26 PM
It appears the Broncos had a private workout for Tony Pike and Mardy Gilyard

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Sources-Broncos-work-out-Pike-Gilyard.html

Interesting. I can see why they'd like Gilyard (dangerous slot receiver and return man) and Pike is the kind of tall, smart QB that McD seems to favor.

This telegraphs the fact that were going for a WR/QB... Although I suppose it was obvious.. but as well as telegraphing it also gives the general round they are focusing on.

My guess is that we are really interested in one of the two and we decided... what the f***.. why not bring in the other one, theyre comfortable with eachother and have a connection. So perhaps we are interested in a quarterback in the 2nd-4th or a WR in the 1st-3rd. I believe that we are more interested in Gilyard, that's just me.

crossroads
03-11-2010, 03:13 PM
Broncos cut Andra Davis:

Josina Anderson of Fox 31 KDVR in Denver reports the Broncos have released ILB Andra Davis. The Denver Post confirms.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=2595

I really hope this means they're targeting McClain with the 11th pick.

rascal
03-11-2010, 04:54 PM
WTF?!??!?!?!?!??!?!

Diehard
03-11-2010, 07:02 PM
Davis - can't cover, has no range and wore down towards the end of the year.

3 possibilities come to mind:

1. Uncapped season abuse - cut him, then resign him for less at no penalty.

2. Kirk Morrison - he's available and Martindale is his old coach

3. BMarsh - trade is in the works, and we're getting a LB in return

I don't think this can be about the draft. Either the team has someone they like on the roster already or they're bringing in an established player via FA/trade.

BamaFalcon59
03-11-2010, 07:18 PM
see my location in re: moreno. ayers looked awful, but i think he can improve as he learns how to play the position. alphonso smith was absolutely horrific, but again, i guess he can learn how to play nickel at some point. mcbath, i think, can end up as a pretty good S. i don't see him as great, but he should be a pretty solid starter. bruton looks like a great depth/ST guy, but never someone i think will start on defense.

Well that sucks.

As for Moreno, how was the offensive line play? 3.8 YPC isn't absolutely dreaful, although it's not up to par.

Timbathia
03-11-2010, 07:18 PM
i heard a very unsubstantiated rumor about trading BMarsh to the jets for david harris.

rascal
03-11-2010, 07:26 PM
Davis - can't cover, has no range and wore down towards the end of the year.

3 possibilities come to mind:

1. Uncapped season abuse - cut him, then resign him for less at no penalty.

2. Kirk Morrison - he's available and Martindale is his old coach

3. BMarsh - trade is in the works, and we're getting a LB in return

I don't think this can be about the draft. Either the team has someone they like on the roster already or they're bringing in an established player via FA/trade.

You don't cut your #2 ILB (especially in a 3-4) before you have somebody to replace him. If the other team backs out, or you can't get Morrison, then you are screwed. His cap # is less than 2 mil...not much savings in releasing him and then signing him back. Especially when you have Jarvis Moss or Chrissy Simms on your roster.

Timbathia
03-11-2010, 07:30 PM
You don't cut your #2 ILB (especially in a 3-4) before you have somebody to replace him. If the other team backs out, or you can't get Morrison, then you are screwed. His cap # is less than 2 mil...not much savings in releasing him and then signing him back. Especially when you have Jarvis Moss or Chrissy Simms on your roster.

Perhaps wink thinks that haggan can move inside, or that larsen (run downs) and woodyard (passing downs) can hold the fort down if necessary.

rascal
03-11-2010, 07:40 PM
Perhaps wink thinks that haggan can move inside, or that larsen (run downs) and woodyard (passing downs) can hold the fort down if necessary.

that is a huge risk to assume that your former OLB, who was average anyway, can move to ILB, and two guys who has never played ILB in a 3-4 in the NFL can somehow produce. At the cost of less than 2 mil a year...that doesn't make any sense.

Now if they somehow trade Marshall for Harris and change, fine, but you release Davis after the trade. Not before.

Timbathia
03-11-2010, 08:17 PM
meant to mention... is there some reason moss is still wasting money and roster space?

Good question - has anyone paid attention to how he has done on special teams?

or maybe he has shown enough in practice that he could be productive in Dooms role if Doom ever got hurt.

jCut
03-12-2010, 12:20 AM
I think Larsen and Woodyard can do the job Davis did. Easily. But, that ain't saying much. I thought Davis was terrible the second half of the season.

As far as McClain is concerned, I think he's the pick unless Bradford or Clausen fall. If he's gone, I think Weatherspoon would be a fine consolation prize. He's not far behind McClain, in my opinion.

Diehard
03-12-2010, 10:25 AM
As far as McClain is concerned, I think he's the pick unless Bradford or Clausen fall. If he's gone, I think Weatherspoon would be a fine consolation prize. He's not far behind McClain, in my opinion.

Everything I've read/heard indicates they won't draft like that (i.e. lock in on a position). They have the guys they like and position is more relevant to how they fit the scheme and the inherent positional value.

jCut
03-12-2010, 03:01 PM
I'm not insinuating that they will lock onto one position. Like I said, if either Bradford or Clausen fall, they will represent great value and will also be good fits in our scheme. If not, both McClain and Weatherspoon are also good fits and good value. I don't see us reaching for a Dan Williams or a Jared Odrick. And I also don't think we'll take a chance on any headcases (i.e. Dez Bryant or Terrence Cody). I've already stated that my opinion is that we won't take a DB early. Regardless, I don't think a guy like Eric Berry or Joe Haden will fall to us.

Jimmy
03-13-2010, 07:20 AM
I think Weatherspoon would be a fine consolation prize. He's not far behind McClain, in my opinion.

Agreed. Wouldn't be the worst pick in the world to get him here. Certainly I'd rather have McClain. I honestly wouldn't mind reaching on Iupati at #11. Preferably I'd like to trade down, but still... He's one of my 5 "locks to be a pro=bowler" type guys. I honestly see him ending his career with several pro-bowls and hall of fame consideration. Honestly, it's just a large hunch, but I would not be upset at all to get that guy, even if it was a reach. At least we can be sure that were getting a good player and not another Middlebrooks,Moss, Smith, Lelie type player.

here are the other guys I think are surefire locks to be good-

1) Mike Iupati

2) Jermaine Gresham

3) Eric Berry-

4) Rolando McClain

5) Ryan Matthews

Originally had Earl Thomas on this list. I think he'll be good, I just realized the Mayock kool-aid was probably the reason I was so influenced.

jCut
03-13-2010, 12:55 PM
I wouldn't mind Iupati either, depending on who's still on the board. He seems like a perfect fit for our new "power-run-blocking" scheme.

DenverHerbsman
03-13-2010, 05:17 PM
I'm not insinuating that they will lock onto one position. Like I said, if either Bradford or Clausen fall, they will represent great value and will also be good fits in our scheme. If not, both McClain and Weatherspoon are also good fits and good value. I don't see us reaching for a Dan Williams or a Jared Odrick. And I also don't think we'll take a chance on any headcases (i.e. Dez Bryant or Terrence Cody). I've already stated that my opinion is that we won't take a DB early. Regardless, I don't think a guy like Eric Berry or Joe Haden will fall to us.

I agree about both QBs, but do you think Weatherspoon can play inside? If not, it wouldn't be wise to take another outside linebacker in the first round when we took Ayers last year. And if we end up losing Marshall do you think we should consider using one first rounder on Dez Bryant?

jCut
03-13-2010, 05:36 PM
I agree about both QBs, but do you think Weatherspoon can play inside? If not, it wouldn't be wise to take another outside linebacker in the first round when we took Ayers last year. And if we end up losing Marshall do you think we should consider using one first rounder on Dez Bryant?

Yeah, I definitely think Weatherspoon can play inside. And I like Dez Bryant's game, I just don't think think he's a "McDaniels-guy".

rascal
03-14-2010, 04:32 PM
broncos trade Hillis and two conditional picks to the browns for Brady Quinn.

I'm guessing that this means we won't be targeting Claussen in the draft. I'm down with that, rather Orton and Quinn are down with that.

In other news the Broncos now lead the league in **** bitting and **** grabbing.

ugh.

jCut
03-14-2010, 04:59 PM
I really like this trade. McDaniels' personal vendetta against Hillis insured that he was never going to get a fair shot. So he swapped him for Quinn, who I think could blossom here. I have always been a fan of his.

CT Bronco Fan
03-14-2010, 05:32 PM
Quinn could be great in McD's system, should be interesting.

Hopefully Hillis gets a chance to play in Cleveland and I hope he tears it up.

Jimmy
03-14-2010, 05:37 PM
I think it's pessimistic (one of my favorite things to be) to say that this trade was god awful. What are we likely loosing? A runningback who would have gotten less than 10 carries, and a few late round developmental picks that won't impact our team for years. Worst case scenario, this impacts almost in no form/way at all, and were the same team we were. There is pretty much only upside to it. Even if Hillis runs for 1,000 yards, which he won't... What would he have done with us? Nada. Let's give this "god-awful" quarterback a chance. He's not any worse than he was 2 years ago, so lets give him 2 years.

DenverJetsFan
03-14-2010, 05:39 PM
I feel that after this trade we NEED to resign Brandon Marshall. That is the only way this trade turns out a success. What do you guys think are they chances we actually keep Brandon Marshall now?

Jimmy
03-14-2010, 06:36 PM
picking up another worthless waste of money at qb does nothing for us

But that's just it. There's no cap this year. Please enlighten me if there is some sort of technicality that would make his salary matter in 2010, because I don't really know the specifics. We can always just dump him if he sucks like we all think he probably will. If they want to spend the money on Quinn, that's fine. It's not coming out of my or your pocket, and it's not effecting the cap. If he stays here past 2011, it's probably because he's now our starting quarterback. We're not keeping 4 QB's. So either Brandstater or Simms is gone. And I doubt we dump Brandstater.

So what if Quinn fails to play well? It wouldn't be the end of the world. Like you said, we gave up nothing relevant, so there's no real reason to fret. This probably won't do anything for us, but I don't really thing this move is brutal by any stretch of the imagination.

DenverHerbsman
03-14-2010, 07:40 PM
This was a good move, Quinn has spent his entire career with the god-awful Browns. The Broncos have one of the best receiving cores in the league (if the keep Marshall), and an offensive master mind at coach. He impressed a lot of people coming out of college, this was a slim price to pay to see if he can step up and make plays, and worst case scenario he's a better backup than Phil Simms.

Diehard
03-14-2010, 09:52 PM
There is very little downside here. The picks are late rounders *and* deferred. Hillis wasn't going to be a big factor in our offense either.

Quinn should be pretty happy - he gets a fresh start in an offense he's familiar with from college.

Timbathia
03-14-2010, 09:58 PM
The only game of his I actually watched closely was the one in 2008 against us. He actually looked pretty good. Apparently it was the only good NFL game he has ever played, so I refuse to make any judgment on how good a move this is.

Hopefully we have a running game this year for all 16 weeks, so even if Quinn has to play at some point, there wont be too big a load on his shoulders.

03-14-2010, 10:01 PM
Well he was good this year against Detroit too, but other than that, crap. So he's capable of what I've known all along, and that's dominating absolutely abysmal defenses. Defenses that can't pressure OR cover. How's our sched looking for next year? Any chance we can face ten of those teams and potentially make the playoffs?

MizzouBig12
03-15-2010, 10:37 AM
Hey Quinn did a fabulous job of handing the ball off to Jerome Harrison when he went for 300 against the Chiefs last year, so at least he has that down! Besides that, it would have been tough for Tom Brady to have much of a year with the Browns receiving corps. They were second in the league in drops, trailing only the Chefs.

Timbathia
03-15-2010, 03:28 PM
Hey Quinn did a fabulous job of handing the ball off to Jerome Harrison when he went for 300 against the Chiefs last year, so at least he has that down! Besides that, it would have been tough for Tom Brady to have much of a year with the Browns receiving corps. They were second in the league in drops, trailing only the Chefs.

The only relevant question to run our offense though, is he can he throw a screen pass?

03-15-2010, 03:34 PM

Yeah but Quinn was first in the league in:

"OH **** OH **** OH **** PRESSURE"
*ball hits ground*

****, I miss Jay Cutler.

Diehard
03-15-2010, 04:27 PM
http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=2&cid=954196&nid=4298648&fhn=1

Last week, the Denver Broncos worked out UMass guard Vladimir Ducasse, and this week they remain in Massachusetts to scout another interior offensive lineman. Scout.com has learned that the Broncos will be in Chestnut Hill on Tuesday, March 16th to work out Boston College center Matt Tennant.

Good to see the team is checking out the interior OL prospects.

Diehard
03-15-2010, 04:36 PM
Chris Simms cut...

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_14679399?source=rsssimplepiehome

That made my day.

Jimmy
03-15-2010, 05:25 PM
Chris Simms cut...

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_14679399?source=rsssimplepiehome

That made my day.

Oh yeahhhhh. didn't quite made my day but I got a boner

03-15-2010, 05:31 PM
http://www.gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=161080
(http://www.gifsoup.com/view/161080/jizz-in-my-pants.html)

Diehard
03-15-2010, 06:46 PM
Looks like we're working out J.D.Walton as well...

http://twitter.com/chrissteuber

I'm reporting that Baylor center J.D. Walton has a private workout scheduled with the Denver Broncos this week and Atlanta Falcons next week

Diehard
03-16-2010, 12:22 AM
Might be nice to add a battering ram into the mix at running back.

http://arizonastate.scout.com/a.z?s=43&p=9&c=2&cid=954318&nid=4203219&fhn=1

Timbathia
03-16-2010, 07:12 AM
if there is a battering ram available late round, then great, but we really gotta get a ilb, two interior o-lineman, a cb and probably a wr first.

Diehard
03-16-2010, 09:00 AM
i don't know that i'm into spending top 2 picks on running backs in consecutive years, especially on a team with a ludicrous number of other needs.

Perhaps they are thinking/hoping he'll be around in the 3rd.

A lot of these prospect workout rumors involve guys in that 2nd-3rd round band. I wonder if the team is trying to work out a deal that would give them extra picks in that area. In terms of value, this is a great draft to be picking in those rounds.

Jimmy
03-16-2010, 07:05 PM
i don't know that i'm into spending top 2 picks on running backs in consecutive years, especially on a team with a ludicrous number of other needs.

you see.. im pretty sure moreno is just a bust. thats the thing. and i felt that way with moss after year one to a certain extent. better admit our mistake then waiting 2 years to get a new one. yet in the nfl, no organization is ballsy enough to eat crow after just one year. i wish we'd draft a rb to a certain extent, but we both know it won't happen

EvilNixon
03-16-2010, 07:18 PM
Is Moreno that bad? :/

jCut
03-16-2010, 10:38 PM
I don't think Moreno is a bust. He's a decent back, and he should grow with an improved line. He'll never live up to his selection, of course, but you shouldn't write him off after one year.