PDA

View Full Version : Denver Broncos Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Jimmy
03-17-2010, 02:50 PM
Shawn Andrews just got released. If we can sign him to a reasonable deal I'd love to bring him in. At the very least he'd provide some depth at guard.

Diehard
03-17-2010, 04:05 PM
He's had some mental problems (depression?) and lots of work done on his back. The most recent surgery was in December, so I don't think it would be wise to expect him to be ready for TC.

jCut
03-17-2010, 04:47 PM
I've heard that he doesn't have passion for the game anymore. He's been contemplating retirement.

Jimmy
03-17-2010, 04:57 PM
I've heard that he doesn't have passion for the game anymore. He's been contemplating retirement.

I'll pass in that case

rascal
03-18-2010, 09:20 AM
I think the Broncos need to take a serious look at drafting Jamar Chaney in the third or fourth round. He has had some injuries but I don't think it's indicative of future problems. He kicked ass in the senior bowl, but up solid numbers at Miss St, and showed excellent mobility, explosiveness, and strength in the combine. I think he could compete right away for our ILB vacancy or at least provide solid backup behind Haggan (if that is who starts) and DJ. I don't have a lot of faith in Larsen and he seems destined for FB duties with the departure of Hillis.

Diehard
03-18-2010, 02:36 PM
Apparently we are so in need of a big fatty inside, that ESPN is helping us out by putting this guy on our roster:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=2550

Wierdness.

Jimmy
03-21-2010, 01:18 AM
Broncos | Ayers likely will get bigger role next season
Sat, 20 Mar 2010 15:03:36 -0700

Lindsay H. Jones, of The Denver Post, reports Denver Broncos DE Robert Ayers likely will receive a bigger role at outside linebacker next season.

Broncos | Haggan expected to play inside
Sat, 20 Mar 2010 14:49:23 -0700

Lindsay H. Jones, of The Denver Post, reports Denver Broncos LB Mario Haggan is expected to play at inside linebacker next season.

Broncos | J. Williams expected to start
Sat, 20 Mar 2010 14:45:24 -0700

Lindsay H. Jones, of The Denver Post, reports Denver Broncos DT Jamal Williams is expected to start at nose tackle next season.

Broncos | Green expected to start
Sat, 20 Mar 2010 14:44:28 -0700

Lindsay H. Jones, of The Denver Post, reports Denver Broncos DL Jarvis Green is expected to start at defensive end next season.

Broncos | Bannan expected to start
Sat, 20 Mar 2010 14:42:15 -0700

Lindsay H. Jones, of The Denver Post, reports Denver Broncos DL Justin Bannan is expected to start at defensive end next season.

Broncos | Thomas working on losing weight
Sat, 20 Mar 2010 12:58:33 -0700

Mike Klis, of The Denver Post, reports Denver Broncos DL Marcus Thomas is working on losing weight because he wants to become a candidate to play at defensive end. He is working on getting down to 292 pounds.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/team/15/nfl#ixzz0in087mcr

Jimmy
03-21-2010, 07:54 AM
as opposed to .... ?

no offense to you, jimmy. i'm just shocked that lindsay h. jones thought those items were reportable.

none taken. kffl is the king of 10 word news stories

Diehard
03-22-2010, 01:23 AM
Some more guys we're taking a closer look at:

Arrelious Benn

http://www.dailyillini.com/sports/football/2010/03/18/benn-shows-off-speed-at-illinois-pro-timing-day
The projected first-round pick said he would be working out with the Denver Broncos, among other teams, in the ensuing weeks.

Dexter McCluster

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest
Mississippi receiver Dexter McCluster said on SIRIUS NFL radio Saturday he will have a private workout with Denver.

Montario Hardesty

http://www.tricitiessports.com/default.asp?sourceid=&smenu=79&twindow=Default&mad=No&sdetail=41703&wpage=1&skeyword=&sidate=&ccat=&ccatm=&restate=&restatus=&reoption=&retype=&repmin=&repmax=&rebed=&rebath=&subname=&pform=&sc=1131&hn=tricitiessports&he=.com
Hardesty said he's had contact with 14 teams since the season ended and is working out Friday for the Denver Broncos.

I'm getting the feeling that anyone who was/is hoping for a defense-heavy draft is going to be disappointed.

Diehard
03-22-2010, 11:08 AM
that said, i don't get why we're looking at benn. guy seems likely to be gone around 20. i understand there could be a trade down, i'm more concerned that we'll take him at 11.

I'm not worried about us taking him at 11. A trade down or compensation for Brandon Marshall could put us in position to take Benn in the late first / early second.

Diehard
03-23-2010, 08:36 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9983

1. Here's his reply to a question about using FA to address the DL, rather than the draft:

I donít think it means that we wonít do anything in the draft. I think there are some good players in the draft. I think itís similar to last year, in that I know that there were a lot of questions about, ĎWhat about this spot, what about this spot?í And we seemed to focus more on the secondary. It was just something where we felt like we liked the people and the fit with those players on our team in this yearís free agency. We didnít, obviously, go all over the place in terms of positions. We kind of stayed there Ė the biggest additions that we made were on the defensive line. Certainly no question that we would add a good player on the defensive front in the draft if thatís what came up. But weíll do that at any position.

2. On whether playing for Weis at ND will help Brady Quinn in this offense:

In talking to him a few times, he certainly knows the base of our offense. The terminology is, I would say, very close. Not exactly the same. Our offense has evolved since (former Notre Dame head coach) Charlie (Weis) left in 2004. Charlieís offense, Iím sure, evolved in a different way. We werenít together. Not that it veered off path significantly, but I think the basis of the terminology, he probably knows 85 percent of the terms and the words we use and the routes and all those different kinds of things. He was coached by the guy that really taught me. I think thatís something thatís going to be a positive for Brady. I donít think itís going to feel like a fish out of water, certainly, in terms of knowing that system. Again, I think thatís why itís a good fit for us, because I think that gives him an opportunity to really go in there and compete and see what he can do. I think that will make our entire quarterback room better.

3. On Eddie Royal's role in the offense:

Eddie can play in the slot, but Eddie played more ĎXí than anything else last year. We are going to be able to flip him over. He wants to be able to do that, to have that flexibility. We would like to be able to have him do that as well. Itís something that Jabar was already able to do because he had been in the system before and we tried to put Eddie more at the ĎXí spot. I think heís a smart player, a versatile player (and) a guy that we need to do better with. We didnít do a good enough job of getting Eddie involved in the offense in certain games and we have to do a better job of that. He is certainly capable. He is (at the facility) already, (he is) ready to go and is having a good offseason so far. We are looking forward to him having a better year than he did last year and we need to do our part.

4. On the D scheme:

Weíre looking forward to growing the defense, improving he defense and really kind of mastering our understanding and fit with the defense. Itís our second year with the coaching staff and our players. Weíve certainly added a few things that Wink is fond of that I feel very good about that we will see in September and October. I do know this: he will be an aggressive play caller. It will be an aggressive defense. We may blitz a little bit more, but thatís his personality and I want him to be himself.

5. The draft:

We haven't finished out preparations yet, it certainly seems there are a lot of tackles this year that are capable and offensive tackles that are good players. The defensive line seems deeper than it has been in some years past, linebacker, there are different types of linebackers certainly[...]

[...]I think there are some good safeties in there as well. This is a deep draft and to each his own I guess. It is all in the eye of the beholder and what you are looking for and what you think of those players. I think there is a lot of talk this time of year that may not be true. They try and smoke screen you. I think there are a lot of good defensive players in this draft. But again there are a lot of tackles that should get drafted high; there are some other positions that are strong in other areas.

No key quote to bold in that last one, but FWIW tackles (both defensive and offensive) did feature prominently in his comments.

Diehard
03-24-2010, 01:21 AM
wtf? tackles? really? i hope that was just remarking on the depth at the spot and not future plans (unless harris is a lot worse off than i thought). i can't think of a position less in need of top talent right now.

Keep in mind that a good run-blocking OT with experience playing the interior could be slotted in at guard immediately and provide cover off at RT should the oft-injured Harris go down again. I think our experience last year shows the importance of having 3 decent tackles. A guy like Ducasse might fit the bill - a real road grader from the guard spot but athletic enough to handle some spot tackle duty.

jCut
03-24-2010, 01:59 PM
I think Rodger Saffold is another guy that fits the bill. He could provide depth at every position but center.

Diehard
03-24-2010, 05:33 PM
Apparently, the Broncos met with / worked out DE Jared Odrick:

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/24/penn-states-odrick-to-visit-with-saints-jets-and-broncos/

Jimmy
03-24-2010, 09:27 PM
It seems like every single penn state defensive lineman. ever. has been arrested at least once. its weird. if he's anything like chris baker, im not interested.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
03-24-2010, 09:34 PM
I hope learning the fancy words of McD's offense will somehow lead to Brady Quinn being able to I dunno, maybe throw a football.

rascal
03-26-2010, 11:36 AM
The more I look and watch McClain the more I become convinced he is not worthy of a top 15 pick. More like 20-30.

03-26-2010, 12:07 PM
I like that mock, too. Don't know too much about Ducasse, but he's a position of need and obviously I ******* love McClain. I think though that we shouldn't leave it to chance, McXanders drafted Slowshon, Ayers and Alphonso last year, it's likely they'll completely **** us agin. So we should kill them and install Scott as GM.

Diehard
03-26-2010, 12:17 PM
ILB doesn't have strong positional value, which is why linebackers tend to slide in the draft. However, in terms of talent and system fit, McClain would be a fine pick at 11.

Ducasse in round 2 would be great. He's a powerful run blocker, hard worker and has a high ceiling. If we take him to be an OG, he'll do well. I think the problem with him is that some other team might overdraft him based on his potential to play OT... and I don't think he'll be nearly as successful in that situation.

Morton
03-28-2010, 01:00 PM
So because they already have Moreno, and are committed to him being their franchise back, there is no chance the Broncos draft a RB in the first round, right?

jCut
03-28-2010, 01:02 PM
So because they already have Moreno, and are committed to him being their franchise back, there is no chance the Broncos draft a RB in the first round, right?

I would say there's no chance. However, I would not be surprised at all if we took a RB on the second day.

Diehard
03-29-2010, 11:31 AM

The only RB really worth looking at with the 11 pick is Spiller, who brings a very different skillset to the table.

I think if Denver stays at 11, they need to consider taking the best playmaker available who has the kind of intangibles they are looking for... and come draft day Spiller could certainly be the guy who meets those criteria.

I'm not saying it is likely, but it is possible.

rascal
03-29-2010, 01:36 PM
yes, just like demeco ryans. :rolleyes:

I was down on ryans? :confused:

Jimmy
03-29-2010, 03:56 PM
The more I look and watch McClain the more I become convinced he is not worthy of a top 15 pick. More like 20-30.

I guess the highlight tape on (keyword) youtube is really unflattering, because i felt the same way. dude had a ton of trouble getting his guy to the ground on several instances.

i suppose this is why nfl scouts dont rely on youtube

Jimmy
03-30-2010, 06:18 PM
broncos worked out matt tenant, furthering the speculation that we might reach on pouncey with our #1 pick. (By the logic that if were looking at the #2 center, perhaps were looking at the #1,) no logic in the world would aid taking pouncey at our spot.

Jimmy
03-31-2010, 06:16 AM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/03/nfl-field-goal-king-jason-elam-to-retire-as-member-of-broncos/1

Longtime Broncos kicker Jason Elam has decided to retire and will sign a one-day contract with Denver to end his career with the team

You were the man Jason, thanks for 15 great years. Greatest Broncos Special Teamer of All Time. What a way to go out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NytUgMUehEs

Diehard
03-31-2010, 11:42 AM
Apparently CB is on our draft radar:

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=1680

Cornerback Alterraun Verner stood on his numbers from the combine but looked terrific in position drills. Several scouts in attendance claimed Vernerís ball skills were the best of any defensive back theyíve witnessed this year on the pro-day circuit. Verner now ranks towards the top of the second tier of cornerbacks whoíll be selected starting in round two. Verner has already has individual workouts with the Denver Broncos and Tampa Bay Bucs.

Timbathia
03-31-2010, 04:13 PM
Apparently CB is on our draft radar:

as well it should be!

Jimmy
03-31-2010, 06:31 PM
as well it should be!

I second that post

I'm glad were owning up to "the" mistake and are thinking about taking a CB in the mid rounds.

I'd also like to announce that I am officially turned off by the idea of Dez Bryant. I reallly questioned whether or not he had character issues, and hearing that he looked unmotivated at his pro-day was the first straw and the last straw for me. There's no way we draft another WR with character issues.But I bet if we actually drafted him, I'll gain my crush back. I know everybody's been saying that already, but until I say it, it's not true.

Kidding. Seriously though, I'm not so sure I feel confident about Bryant Or McClain (I know, just cause of youtube) and I wish we would trade down 4-5 spots to get Iupati or hope that Berry falls to us which he wont.

Timbathia
03-31-2010, 07:57 PM
I just really hope that someone falls to us that shouldnt (Clausen, or one of the LTs), and a team later in the first round really wants to trade spots with us to get them (and throw in a second rounder to get it done)

Diehard
03-31-2010, 09:50 PM
More workouts:

WR Jordan Shipley, Texas

http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=635991

NT Terrance Cody, Alabama

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/31/teams-are-checking-out-terrence-cody/

Listening to Sirus earlier, it sounded like we were trying to get Spiller in for a visit as well.

bigfreak314
04-01-2010, 09:13 AM
I like Terrence Cody in the 2nd round either him or Cam Thomas from NC, who is dewarfed by Mount Cody but only by like 20 lbs.

IDK why the Broncos don't trade Marshall and settle for the 14th pick, with all the calaamar and constant back and forth between said player and head coach, plus what are the chances they resign after all these trade rumors the past 2 offseasons.

I dont live in Denver but inquiring minds want to know

Diehard
04-01-2010, 09:25 AM
Nothing says they won't take #14. I think very early in the process there were signs that this would end up going all the way to the draft before being resolved.

Part of the problem is that Brandon is a real pain in the ass in terms of the business side of things - he wants a boatload of money but his off-the-field antics are a big risk. Any team with half a brain will want security built in to the contract to protect them, which is going to require some rather delicate negotiation.

Diehard
04-01-2010, 09:39 AM
spiller... blech.

i get the BPA approach, but like, do we really need to pick rbs like the lions used to take wrs?

I'm not sure Spiller would be seen as a conventional back, more of a 3rd down / slot receiver / returner.

IMO, McD and X are looking at bringing in skill guys who would add a different dimension to the offense. Whether a power back or slot WR/returner, it's about expanding the variety of weapons at our disposal. McD likes to do a lot of substitution (look at the D last year) and it's a lot easier on offense where you get to snap the ball.

Is Spiller the guy? I have no idea. What I do know is that this team needs more playmakers / gamebreakers on both sides of the ball. If they reach at 11 on a position of need rather than taking the highest graded prospect (based on their scoring system), the old issue about not having enough talent on the team will continue into the forseeable future.

jCut
04-01-2010, 08:42 PM
As much as I want us to draft McClain, I have a feeling that ILB is not highly valued on our board. I have a feeling that a guy like Odrick may be the pick. I could envision the Broncos seeing him as the best 3-4 end in the draft.

Diehard
04-01-2010, 11:37 PM
As much as I want us to draft McClain, I have a feeling that ILB is not highly valued on our board.

LB's always slide. That's the way it is. Some guy gets grabbed early, then a bunch of supposed 1st rounders end up being taken in the 2nd-3rd range. The strong ILB spot in a 3-4 is a two-down thumper... hard to justify taking that guy early.

That being said, I think Sean Weatherspoon is a darkhorse for our first pick(whether we pick at 11 or elsewhere)... which would eventually result in D.J. Williams being traded to a 4-3 team where he could finally return to his natural position (WOLB).

I have a feeling that a guy like Odrick may be the pick. I could envision the Broncos seeing him as the best 3-4 end in the draft.

You and half of Broncomania. Scott has this guy pegged as a 2nd rounder for good reason - he's a nice prospect, but unless you get totally hyped on the positional value of a 5-tech, I don't see good value at 11.

Diehard
04-02-2010, 12:52 AM
that said, i don't care if okung is on the board, we shouldn't be drafting an LT.

Certainly not in round 1. At some point, though, the value of a sliding player begins to overwhelm the need factor.

there should be some pretty strong WR talent later on, and honestly, i'm not sure the offensive issue was playmakers (defense is an entirely different story).

Even if we keep Marshall, I'd say we'd be open to taking a slot guy and a power back at some point in the draft.

On defense, we don't need any more "solid but unspectacular" players. Positional value be damned - I don't care what level of defense they play (DL, LB or secondary), give me guys who are disruptive and can make the opposing offense pay for any errors.

our offense failed because orton couldn't challenge deep (and we refused to go beyond 10 or so yards)

... which is particularly amusing/frustrating because that Patriot's passing attack we've adopted really relies on the deep threat to open things up.

further, if the aim is to actually involve royal to some degree, i think he'll give us a much more... dynamic (god i hate that word in this context) playmaker (i hate that word even more) than we had last year at the 2/slot spot.

I'm not sure Royal will turn out to be our slot guy. He doesn't strike me as the "read the coverage, find the hole" kind of player. I think he can do well on the outside.

further further, if i'm dead wrong about quinn and it turns out he really did know how to play the position, i think that largely (i'm assuming we address ol in the draft, early and often) solves our offensive issues.

It certainly helps. Not only his arm, but the ability to use his feet would be a vast improvement *if* he can learn to handle playing under pressure.

Diehard
04-02-2010, 01:13 AM
Interesting info:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/nfl-hearsay-early-april-draft-buzz

If the Rams commit to Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford as their No. 1 pick in this year's draft, a deal for Brandon Marshall could soon be in the works. A source close to the Rams told me that the team still has strong interest in the Broncos wide receiver. And that interest may spiral up in the coming weeks if the team is serious about making Bradford their franchise quarterback.

Clemson wide receiver Jacoby Ford told me this week that he's worked out for the receivers coaches of the Denver Broncos and the Cleveland Browns.

jCut
04-02-2010, 08:26 PM
You and half of Broncomania. Scott has this guy pegged as a 2nd rounder for good reason - he's a nice prospect, but unless you get totally hyped on the positional value of a 5-tech, I don't see good value at 11.

Let me clarify that I am not advocating his selection, unless we trade down. With that said, I think you are severely underrating him. There is no way he escapes the first round. I've heard New England won't pass on him if he's still on the board at selection 22. Belichick and his disciples do place considerable value on 5-techs. Tyson Jackson, Ty Warren and Richard Seymour are proof of that.

Jimmy
04-04-2010, 09:01 PM
the first thing that came across when i read this headline was
"if you can't beat em, join em"

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14815157

Jimmy
04-08-2010, 10:09 PM
as a fact nut i found this pretty interesting
In the last 4 yrs, Broncos CB Champ Bailey has started 56 games and been called for pass interference just once.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/team/15/nfl#ixzz0kZK3ugpW

gpngc
04-09-2010, 02:20 AM
I come in peace.

Let's pretend for a second that the Broncos do not in any way want to keep Brandon Marshall for whatever stupid reason.

(I believe this is case, but I don't want to argue that point at all and none of us know the real answer anyway - for the sake of my inquiry, just pretend even if you feel there's still a chance they'll keep him).

No one offers a first round pick. Someone offers a 2nd in the mid 40s or 50s *Those are the ONLY offers you get and you are committed to dealing this player.
*I do acknowledge that there are two teams that can easily outbid the Seahawks and I believe they each have the resources to get a deal done on the spot if they offered a second round pick (TB #35, NE two of the seconds or #22). My question is if the well truly is dry and those teams do not offer those deals that I believe the Broncos would accept.

The Seahawks offer this:
pick #60
4th rounder
5th rounder
ILB David Hawthorne

or

4th rounder
CB Josh Wilson

I know, as fans, none of you would want to trade one of the best WRs in the NFL for either underwhelming package, but can you envision your very recently, let's be honest, stupid, organization making one of these moves?

CT Bronco Fan
04-09-2010, 11:22 AM
I come in peace.

Let's pretend for a second that the Broncos do not in any way want to keep Brandon Marshall for whatever stupid reason.

(I believe this is case, but I don't want to argue that point at all and none of us know the real answer anyway - for the sake of my inquiry, just pretend even if you feel there's still a chance they'll keep him).

No one offers a first round pick. Someone offers a 2nd in the mid 40s or 50s *Those are the ONLY offers you get and you are committed to dealing this player.
*I do acknowledge that there are two teams that can easily outbid the Seahawks and I believe they each have the resources to get a deal done on the spot if they offered a second round pick (TB #35, NE two of the seconds or #22). My question is if the well truly is dry and those teams do not offer those deals that I believe the Broncos would accept.

The Seahawks offer this:
pick #60
4th rounder
5th rounder
ILB David Hawthorne

or

4th rounder
CB Josh Wilson

I know, as fans, none of you would want to trade one of the best WRs in the NFL for either underwhelming package, but can you envision your very recently, let's be honest, stupid, organization making one of these moves?

God I hope not.

Diehard
04-09-2010, 12:34 PM

I'm not sure I agree with your assessment of our new leadership. Some of the problems they've dealt with weren't necessarily of their making. They've done a good job with FA and I think have handled Marshall's flakiness about as well as could be expected.

My main concern was the draft last year, but McD was very honest about the fact that they were squeezed for time to prepare. I believe things will be quite different this year.

As for your packages, #1 might have a chance in a desperation situation. I just don't see any reason for desperation. No interest from other teams makes him easier to sign. He wants his paycheck, so he's not going to sit out (especially with the 2011 uncertainty). He's in a tough spot with little leverage.

Diehard
04-13-2010, 09:35 AM
It seems things are coming to a head:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/13/report-brandon-marshall-broncos-to-talk-today/

Whatever the Broncos have decided, they'll apparently be communicating it to Marshall today. Per Josina Anderson of FOX 31 in Denver, the Broncos and Marshall will meet Tuesday to discuss the future.

Jimmy
04-14-2010, 08:06 AM
stay strong everyone, stay strong

bigfreak314
04-14-2010, 08:10 AM
any feelings on the Marshall Trade? Do you think it will effect thier 1st round pick? What about thier 2 second rounders in the 2010 draft?

Jimmy
04-14-2010, 09:39 AM
any feelings on the Marshall Trade? Do you think it will effect thier 1st round pick? What about thier 2 second rounders in the 2010 draft?

To be honest, were basically stuck in the same position we were in that '99 season. We can't possibly draft Dez #1. First off, he will never be as good as Marshall. Second off, he has character issues. So I don't know who we draft. I don't think it effects us at all, I think most people had a feeling he was gone (although I had hoped he would stay around) and most people still have us going w/ McClain.

GaMeTiMe
04-14-2010, 10:28 AM
Can any of you seeing Denver go RB within the first 3 rounds? Especially now with an extra pick in the 2nd. I think they may be one of the teams that look at guys like Tate, Dwyer and Hardesty in the 3rd if they can address ILB/WR/G with their first three picks. There have been a lot of reports about how Knowshon wore down last season and while his stamina should improve you still want to protect him; Buckhalter has been a nice player at this stage of his career but he's not going to last past this season, his time has come. Not to mention he can't be a lead-back should Moreno go down, and JJ Arrington isn't a reliable backup/committee partner if Buck is the one to get hurt.

CT Bronco Fan
04-14-2010, 10:35 AM
Well we didn't get raped as hard as I was imagining we were going to with Marshall. Still not very happy we had to trade him though. Now when we draft Tebow I'm going to kill someone < not literally, it's just a figure of speech >

04-14-2010, 10:37 AM
I hate this team.

Diehard
04-14-2010, 11:10 AM
I don't think two 2nd's is a bad deal, considering what has been going on with WR's recently. After that ridiculous Roy Williams trade, no one is going to break the bank for a receiver.

Certainly better than any package Seattle could've put together (#60 plus a bunch of 4ths / 5ths isn't getting it done). Interesting that Seattle's effort to make this trade was sabotaged by what they gave up for the QB from SD.

As for our first round pick, taking Dez Bryant would be foolish unless the team is 100% certain he'll get with the program. There is no point trading one problem for another. Benn, Tate, Williams, Gilyard, Decker... there are a lot of good receivers in the draft who would be a better fit in terms of team chemistry.

Chris
04-14-2010, 01:39 PM
Two seconds is not a bad deal for a guy who rejected an extension here and was going to walk next season anyways. Anyone bitching about this deal just needs to pull their head out their ass and realize it was the best we could have gotten for his services, and it can please both parties.

The value of this trade (reality) will take a few years to be projected.

As usual, NJX is whining and complaining. That must be a sign this was a good thing.

Diehard
04-14-2010, 04:03 PM
Scheffler next on deck...

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14882667?source=rss&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=twitter

Tony Scheffler will sign his tender today, a transaction formality that transfers the Broncos' tight end from restricted free agency to the trading block.

A 3rd would be a miracle. A fourth seems about right... maybe the Rams or Bengals?

CT Bronco Fan
04-14-2010, 04:06 PM
At least 15 is open now for when we draft Tebow.

Timbathia
04-14-2010, 06:19 PM
I dont blame the front office for this one. They were right not to give him a big fat contract before last year, and after the way Marshall acted during the season, combined with the obvious fact he really really wants out of Denver (possibly partially due to Darrent's death), then IMO there really wasnt any other option. Two second rounders is decent value considering how much trouble he is.

Timbathia
04-14-2010, 06:23 PM
i think it may have been by far the best we could have done. what angers me most is that it was allowed to get to the point where we had no choice but to trade him for, basically, peanuts, comparatively.

We cant know whether this is true or not - if he really wanted out, then there is **** all anyone can do about it. Marshall seems way too immature to reason with, or talk around - basically he is a giant 7 year old that is great at running with a football after catching it.

jCut
04-14-2010, 06:42 PM
We got good value, but it just sucks to lose our most dynamic offensive weapon. McDaniels admitted that he wasn't prepared for last year's draft. I hope he is this time around.

Chris
04-14-2010, 07:55 PM
because that matters.

For the parties involved, it sure does. The Broncos get two second round players, and more importantly, a second rounder (#43) right ahead of their other selection (#45) -- this wasn't a coincidence. It was done on purpose. Tampa Bay could have had him, their selection was higher, but the Broncos were able to get a selection near theirs in order to target specific players, as well as a future second rounder. Who these players will be and how they pan out is what will matter. Until they are selected and they play, all the gripe is much ado about nothing.

yup. that's why this team has won the last 10 straight super bowls. because every decision i dislike is actually gold.

i remember when you actually added something of value, instead of just trolling the board around draft time.Sidelined with a kidney disease that took my life for a loop, as well as working 30 hours a week and going to full-time on top of other activities doesn't allow me to post like I used to. I'm on the OrangeMane to talk Broncos, because the talks there have more substance. When time permits, I come here, usually lurk, but when I see stupid comments from you like, "Dez Bryant does not fit this offense." -- it just begs for a response.

Care to tell us all how Dez Bryant does not fit this offense? Why would McDaniels and Xanders send scouts to his Pro Day and bring him into Dove Valley for a workout if that was their case? Just to waste money and resources when they could have allocated them other places if what you are saying is true? Give me a break.

I am not in favor of drafting him at #11, I have two other prospects in mind, but he has the possibility of becoming a premier wide out in the NFL based on his skill set. He fits what any team wants to do. The biggest flaw in his game is that he rarely faced tough press coverage in college and will have to get used to bumps at the line in the NFL. It will be a tough transition. That, and he has been out of football for a while.

In all honesty, I don't see the Broncos taking Dez (I don't think he has huge character issues) if they truly want to adhere to the plan they have obviously laid out. I think that Decker in the second is a more realistic option if we are looking for a receiver to replace Marshall's role on this team.

i think it may have been by far the best we could have done. what angers me most is that it was allowed to get to the point where we had no choice but to trade him for, basically, peanuts, comparatively.

Marshall wanted to play elsewhere. Having him and his attitude around the team would not have been a good thing. Everyone will miss his production. That does not mean others cannot step up their game. No, I do not believe we'll get a receiver with any selection that will put up three consecutive 100 yard seasons and two Pro-Bowl appearances. Then again, I don't think we'll be seeing a receiver on our team getting the ball tossed his way over 150+ times a season like Marshall was getting either.

It was time to move on. He did not want to play here, would have left in free agency in 2011 anyways.

What would you have wanted more? Two second-rounders or a 2011 compensatory selection.

Having Marshall on the team isn't an option. He refused an extension when it was offered a while back.

The Broncos lost a lot in this trade, but gained some things too. Depending on your point of few, perhaps addition by subtraction. I like the picks and hope they pan out. I also wish Marshall well, as he was my favorite player on the team.

BamaFalcon59
04-14-2010, 09:14 PM
Eddie Royal, he's back.

BuffaloBillsFan
04-14-2010, 10:19 PM
Wow, I'm trying to do a mock draft right now and I'm wtf'ing as to who I should give you guys.

Chris
04-14-2010, 10:55 PM
A) Bryant runs quality routes and has a familiarity of running a full route tree.

B) Whether or not Quinn or Orton are quality quarterbacks is irrelevant to his fit to the team.

C) What I was saying wasn't a strawman argument, I was just asking you a question. Would you rather have him walk and get lesser compensation, or bite the bullet, trade him and take what we got?

D) The Cutler situation you alluded to is irrelevant in the Brandon Marshall discussion. What we did with Cutler has nothing to do with Marshall. Marshall's behavioral issues extend way further than McDaniels' entrance to coach of this team, and extended while he was here. We all know the story. At the end of the season, Marshall cleared everything out of his locker, including his nameplate. The only player to do so. He wanted to be gone, and his actions throughout the entire off-season (even the season) showed that.

McDaniels did the right thing by trading Marshall, and no -- I am not going to blame McDaniels for it having to come to this. It wasn't an issue of co-existence. Shanahan was even becoming fed up with Marshall's behavior and antics. To the Broncos, Marshall and all his troubles were not worth the investment. Best to get while you can before you get little of nothing.

Four years of Brandon Marshall, a lot of statistics for him. Skewed by the fact that he received a copious amount of targets during that span. Worst part about it, no playoff appearances during that time. That is what sucks.

I am excited to see what comes from these picks and how they pan out -- regarding both the Cutler and Marshall departures.

I will reserve my judgment for several years down the road when one can adequately tell whether or not a player has progressed or will be able to in his NFL career. I just hope the Broncos use the selections wisely, and have prepared themselves more this year in the draft process. (Let it be known that I loved the draft last year. I did not like the trade for Smith, but feel he can be a great player. He has to adjust to playing inside, something he never did at Wake Forest.)

Everyone here wants things to pan out, and I am confident they will. I think the Broncos get to the playoffs this year. Without Cutler or Marshall. Something that cannot be said for the past four years (or three) with them on the squad.

Time to move forward. Can't be bitter about things you really cannot control. Life is easier that way.

Diehard
04-14-2010, 11:08 PM
Wow, I'm trying to do a mock draft right now and I'm wtf'ing as to who I should give you guys.

Look for defense (DL or ILB) in round 1, followed by a lot of offense (C, G, WR, power RB). If someone unexpected slides down to 11 who would fit in well with the team, they might pull the trigger even if it isn't a position of need (as long as the value is there).

Jimmy
04-15-2010, 06:45 AM
when did he decide he didn't want to be here? the beginning of last year, when mcdaniels was trying to pull a belichick and when he was busy alienating cutler? when mcdaniels acted like a child in response to marshall's injury (note: i'm not absolving marshall of acting like a child in the preseason)?

“That’s b******t, that’s a lie. Why aren’t you guys out there looking for William’s killer? I hate Denver, I hate this city, I hate f***ing city.” Brandon Marshall-10/26/2007

Looks to me that Marshall decided he didn't want to be here a few years before McD, drunkness aside. We knew he didn't want to be in Denver before Shanahan got fired. But why should we take the word of a drunk man? If we choose not to, and claim he was "venting," why don't we consider what happens if we never even hire McD. Shanahan was trying to get rid of this headcase too. If McDaniels is to blame, I suppose we have to completely block out the fact that if If Shanahan had stayed, Marshall would have gone a year or two earlier, and we would have gotten nothing, and no production from him. He wouldn't have lasted. As much as we all would have loved to see him stay, now I guess I see it's pretty obvious that McDaniels aside, he wasn't into Denver to begin with, and he would have been gone.

Jimmy
04-15-2010, 07:40 AM
i don't doubt that the quote is legit, but do you have a link?

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/19905605/detail.html

I was wrong, the quote is actually ""I hate Denver. I hope I get traded. I hate this f******* city"

Chris
04-15-2010, 11:35 AM
An additional year under the belt with experience on offense and defense will help. I actually expect vast improvements in offensive production, and with the players we added on defense (especially the line) I don't expect the wear down that happened last season. I think we will be able to get some great contributors in the draft to make our team stronger. We have a fairly weak schedule. I don't see the Chargers being an improved team over last season and I think it is safe to say that the Chiefs and Raiders aren't going to be competing. I think we win the West this year. Those are just some of the reasons.

As for the picks, here is what I'll state.

#11 -- Whether people want to hear it or not, I am an advocate for C.J. Spiller at this selection if he is available over any other prospect on the board who will feasibly be there. His LTI (length to impact) will be incredibly short and he will be able to come in and help our team right away. He isn't just a running back, he is a versatile threat in the passing and return game.

We lost Marshall, so we need a person on offense who can put accountability on defenses. If you put Spiller in the slot, what linebacker is going to cover him? Nobody in my eyes. When you are picking this high, you expect immediate results.

You will not get immediate results from many positions. For me, it is either Spiller or Weatherspoon, who can play any linebacker position and I believe is more of a team player and leader than McClain. I am not very impressed with McClain, and his defensive system filters through him skewing his statistics. He is a very cerebral player, but his health concerns (Crohn's Disease, which he now denies to have) are very serious. I can't risk a #11 pick on a guy who might **** his intestines out chasing Rivers on a bootleg.

If it isn't either of those guys, I'd consider Trent Williams too -- given his flexibility for playing offensive line.

Preferably, a trade down occurs.

I'm a big fan of most all the top receivers in this class, Thomas is interesting as well as Decker, but I like Gilyard and Ford because of what they can do in the return game as well. I think Best or McCluster would be great selections in the second (McCluster in the third or so) if we can't grab Spiller because they will be able to come in and be a dynamic weapon for us on offensive and special teams.

Tyson A., is one of my favorite prospects in the draft. I'd love him at #43 or #45.

Linval Joseph and the ECU boys for our DL would also be superb. I prefer him to Dan Williams because he would be fine in a rotation and could take over a starting role a year or so down the road. I don't feel Williams is worth the first-round investment given the learning curve and the fact others will undoubtedly be playing ahead of him.

J.D. Walton at C.

Kyle Wilson and Kareem Jackson at CB.

Some of my favorite prospects who I feel are good fits for this team, offensive and defensively.

Chris
04-15-2010, 02:39 PM
Forgot to mention Terrence Cody, whom people will blast me for, but as a two-gap player and potential nose tackle, there might not be better value for us than him at one of our second round selections. Stuffing the run and taking up blockers is what he does well. Williams isn't a spring chicken and we could use another guy there regardless if the ex-SF man is still there.

Diehard
04-16-2010, 11:36 PM
Argh, I did a big write-up on McD's pre-draft presser that seems to have vanished into the void.

Here's the link to the transcript:

http://www.denverbroncos.com/resources/custom/mediaroom/transcripts/10transcripts/McDaniels_draft_4_16_10.pdf

Lots of good information in there. Some key points:

1. Broncos more likely to move down than up in round 1. Will have plans in place for picking at 11 and moving down.

2. Interest in C, G, LB and DL. Warned that "need" is overrated - pick good players.

3. Dez Bryant's character issues are overblown. He's on the Broncos' board.

4. Rolando McClain has great football intelligence. Very well coached and understands the game on a higher level. [note to njx9 - I think coach really likes this guy]

5. Draft visits - only bring in players who they are genuinely interested in. Don't care about smokescreens.

6. Interesting info on how the Broncos rate players. Basically graded on system fit and projected contribution within the first 2 years.

7. Some detail on running backs, both young guys on the team and the factors to consider around bringing in a rookie. Team did work out Spiller. Some praise for Gerhart.

8. FA moves don't mean we won't draft DL. Always looking to add to the front 7.

9. Dan Williams - athletic, can make plays all along the line, could play NT or DE. Someone the Broncos are interested in.

10. Who "wowed" McD? Weatherspoon - impressive in every way. McClain. Dan Williams. Tebow.

Timbathia
04-17-2010, 04:46 AM
Argh, I did a big write-up on McD's pre-draft presser that seems to have vanished into the void.

Here's the link to the transcript:

http://www.denverbroncos.com/resources/custom/mediaroom/transcripts/10transcripts/McDaniels_draft_4_16_10.pdf

Lots of good information in there. Some key points:

1. Broncos more likely to move down than up in round 1. Will have plans in place for picking at 11 and moving down.

2. Interest in C, G, LB and DL. Warned that "need" is overrated - pick good players.

3. Dez Bryant's character issues are overblown. He's on the Broncos' board.

4. Rolando McClain has great football intelligence. Very well coached and understands the game on a higher level. [note to njx9 - I think coach really likes this guy]

5. Draft visits - only bring in players who they are genuinely interested in. Don't care about smokescreens.

6. Interesting info on how the Broncos rate players. Basically graded on system fit and projected contribution within the first 2 years.

7. Some detail on running backs, both young guys on the team and the factors to consider around bringing in a rookie. Team did work out Spiller. Some praise for Gerhart.

8. FA moves don't mean we won't draft DL. Always looking to add to the front 7.

9. Dan Williams - athletic, can make plays all along the line, could play NT or DE. Someone the Broncos are interested in.

10. Who "wowed" McD? Weatherspoon - impressive in every way. McClain. Dan Williams. Tebow.

It is hard not to like everything he said in that presser. I just hope that translates into some good players.

edit - except the Tebow stuff - I will be fucken pissed if we use one of our second rounders on him.

TACKLE
04-17-2010, 11:42 AM
There looks like there are a couple team looking to trade up into Denver's range. If the Broncos are able to trade down into the 20's, who would they target?

Morton
04-18-2010, 11:51 AM
Why would the Broncos select CJ Spiller when they already spent a 1st round pick last year on an elite running back (Moreno)??

At most, they need a big thumper RB in the 2nd or 3rd round to complement Moreno.

Diehard
04-18-2010, 12:50 PM
Why would the Broncos select CJ Spiller when they already spent a 1st round pick last year on an elite running back (Moreno)??

While there are a number of picks that would make more sense, I wouldn't discount Spiller as a possibility. I think he'd be drafted more as a returner and receiver than running back. Great intangibles, very dangerous with the ball in his hands... there's a lot to like. There's no question that the Broncos need more guys who can make big plays.

All that being said, I can only see this happening if they feel Spiller is clearly the BPA at their pick.

At most, they need a big thumper RB in the 2nd or 3rd round to complement Moreno.

Yes, I think a power back is something McD would like to add to the mix (hence the workouts for Hardesty and Gerhart).

jCut
04-18-2010, 02:13 PM
My only issue with picking Spiller is we'd still need to pick a power back regardless. Two picks on a position where we already have Moreno and Buckhalter?

Timbathia
04-18-2010, 04:28 PM
My only issue with picking Spiller is we'd still need to pick a power back regardless. Two picks on a position where we already have Moreno and Buckhalter?

No way it happens, although I agree it would be nice.

I think in the first round we need to come away with one of:

McClain, Bryant, Weatherspoon or Pouncey.

Yes, I have softened on picking Bryant, however, if we dont get a starting interior o-lineman and a starting ilb from the draft after taking him in the first, then I reserve the right to start hating the pick again.

Morton
04-18-2010, 11:51 PM
The thing that I don't understand is why people are even talking about RBs in the first place.

Moreno is an elite workhorse back - I mean, you're probably set @ RB for the next 5+ years with Moreno alone.

Stranger
04-19-2010, 12:07 AM
The thing that I don't understand is why people are even talking about RBs in the first place.

Moreno is an elite workhorse back - I mean, you're probably set @ RB for the next 5+ years with Moreno alone.

Look under Njx's name.

Anyway saw this from Daniel Jeremiah today so I thought I would pass along some good news for Denver fans.

RT @SenorDickhaus: which is better, Okung or Clady as a rookie?> Clady is the best LT in football... not close

Trust me, I love Joe Thomas as a player and a person... Big time talent but Clady is a better point of attack run blocker

Timbathia
04-19-2010, 12:51 AM
Look under Njx's name.

Anyway saw this from Daniel Jeremiah today so I thought I would pass along some good news for Denver fans.

I already knew that Clady rocked - I am just worried about the 4 guys immediately to his right.

Jimmy
04-19-2010, 03:50 PM
Scheffler Traded to Detroit for a 5th

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5113415

:/

Would have loved to get a 3 or a 4 for the guy... oh well...
There goes the class of '06.
I think Stafford will develop nicely at this point

04-19-2010, 04:33 PM

So lame. So so lame.

Timbathia
04-19-2010, 05:59 PM

I look at it this way, McDaniels is out of excuses now. He has moved all the players that he had problems with or didnt think fit his system. He has had plenty of time to look at this years draft class and has had two free agency periods. This is also the second year of a lot of players in his system, so the learning the system excuse is rapidly disappearing.

If we look like **** this year, then he will have some explaining to do.

Morton
04-19-2010, 07:43 PM
So the Broncos have been reduced to Kyle Orton / Brady Quinn throwing to... Eddie Royal?

Interesting direction to take, I guess. If I were a Broncos fan, I'd be praying that McDaniels knows what the hell he is doing.

Diehard
04-19-2010, 08:25 PM
So the Broncos have been reduced to Kyle Orton / Brady Quinn throwing to... Eddie Royal?

Interesting direction to take, I guess. If I were a Broncos fan, I'd be praying that McDaniels knows what the hell he is doing.

Scheffler can't/won't block and dogged it last year. McD wants his TE's to be inline blockers and won't tolerate that kind of pissy attitude. It was inevitable Scheffler would be shipped out.

Diehard
04-20-2010, 12:40 AM
Repost from the Pro Football forum. Interesting article with information from Marshall's agent.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncosheadlines/ci_14907098

Some key pieces:

The genesis of Marshall's misconduct at training camp was his disappointment over the multiyear contract the Broncos had just presented him. While the offer was worth potentially $9.5 million a year, it had a below-market guarantee and several safeguards to protect the club if Marshall got into further trouble.

We tried to sign him.

The Broncos would have gladly taken that No. 29 pick. The Jets, though, could not come up with a long-term contract that satisfied Marshall. There was no sense submitting an offer sheet if Marshall wasn't going to sign long term.

The Jets tried to sign him too.

When Marshall signed his tender last Tuesday, McGuire knew he would soon have a deal completed with one of three teams — Tampa Bay, Seattle or Miami.

All teams who really need help at WR.

Seattle's bid, however, was ultimately doomed by its trade last month for quarterback Charlie Whitehurst. To get him, Seattle swapped its No. 40 overall pick with San Diego's No. 60 pick. The Broncos were not going to accept the Chargers' discarded pick as the jewel to their trade package.

This is a bit of a headscratcher. Seattle was after Marshall right from the start, but they didn't want to part with a first rounder and didn't keep enough other ammo to get the deal done. Seems like poor planning.

Jimmy
04-20-2010, 09:50 AM
I'm almost positive we will draft a receiver between 5'11 and 6'2 with our 2nd pick.

I'm afraid we may look at a guy like Benn, or Pouncey 1st round (colossal reaches) but if we don't... in the 2nd I have this gut wrenching feeling we will go the WR route. (pun intended) The reason it is gut wrenching is because

1. I don't think McDaniels will go the Speedy/Athletic route. We have a guy like that in Royal and I don't think he really appreciates that type of player enough. Why draft a Royal Jr. when McD already said he has plans to increase Eddie's involvement? He won't draft a guy like Royal.

2. He wont go to the opposite end of the spectrum and draft a large guy above 6'2. Why? He doesn't want to draw attention for trying "to replace B. Marsh."
By taking a guy above 6'2/3, I bet a lot of people would automatically assume he plans to use that player in the same manner. There would be too much comparison, and the task that player would have to fill large shoes.

This means that we will take a guy that most likely isn't great at any one thing. He won't be a burner, and he won't have great size. He'll be a "player." A guy that goes out and just gets the job done. This guy wont be very exciting on paper on or film, and hteere will be a lot of questions about his potential.

Look for guys like Lafell, Decker (6'3), or Damian Williams to go here.

I personally think Williams is a Bronco come draft day.

Diehard
04-20-2010, 01:06 PM
You are right, McD won't draft a guy like Royal. Consider the problems Royal had this year:

1. He did not have a good grasp of the offense

The slot guy exploits the holes opened up by the other patterns, and as such must have a very good understanding of the offense. Reading the coverage, finding the hole, running the correct route - these are "must do" for the slot guy... and hence why Eddie didn't work the slot much last year.

2. He had a hard time beating the jam / getting seperation

Getting jammed kills the effectiveness of the outside receivers in this offense. They need to get downfield in a hurry to stretch the defense and draw off the safety to open things up underneath.

Whoever we draft is going to address one of these requirements (or both). I think Damian Williams would be a fine slot WR. Eric Decker is another one that comes to mind. Benn or LaFell could come in and handle one of the outside spots, as they are both able to get off the line quickly.

Jimmy
04-20-2010, 06:59 PM
Somebody tell me this guy doesn't run his routes almost close to the exact same way as eddie mac?

I know he's black, and just a tad beefier... but seriously... look at the guy, look at his button hood. he's got the head jerk going too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT28_-UEb6M

Jimmy
04-21-2010, 06:10 PM
I'll be overjoyed if:

Iupati
Earl Thomas
Witherspoon
Spiller
or a top 5 falls to us

Players I'd be fine with
Pouncey
Clausen
McClain
Dez

Players I'd rather pass on
Dan Williams
Roger Saffold
Bey Bey Thomas
Joe Haden or any corner in round 1

one of these men will be a Denver Bronco tomorrow. take a long look at this list. it will be the last time you'll recognize player X as just a prospect and not a bronco. The next Willie Middlebrooks? or the Next Terrell Davis? I don't know and neither do you.

http://image3.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID19045/images/nfl2010draftbig.jpg

Timbathia
04-21-2010, 07:50 PM
I'll be overjoyed if:

Iupati
Earl Thomas
Witherspoon
Spiller
or a top 5 falls to us

Players I'd be fine with
Pouncey
Clausen
McClain
Dez

Players I'd rather pass on
Dan Williams
Roger Saffold
Bey Bey Thomas
Joe Haden or any corner in round 1

one of these men will be a Denver Bronco tomorrow. take a long look at this list. it will be the last time you'll recognize player X as just a prospect and not a bronco. The next Willie Middlebrooks? or the Next Terrell Davis? I don't know and neither do you.

http://image3.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID19045/images/nfl2010draftbig.jpg

I guess for my peace of mind, we need to get a starting WR, ILB and C/G from the draft. Maybe not start week one, but definitely by early in the season. If in the first we take Spiller, Earl Thomas or Clausen from your list, then we better nail the rest of the draft cause it will be difficult from there to address those needs.

Timbathia
04-21-2010, 09:16 PM
i have zero interest in any S. sure, they'd be nice toys. but it's not a position of any priority for me. i don't like clausen, but i could understand the pick. i'm not sure i want spiller, but i rate him as a probable choice.

personally, if it started snowing in hell, i'd want iupati, and then a trade up with our 2's for pouncey (or taking ducasse with one and a wr/ilb [based on bp] with the other). but then, maybe i'm heavily overrating the effect our tremendous o-line had on our two super bowls (imo, by far the best line in the league at that time). and without the ZBS, i'm less convinced of our ability to find capable plug-ins in round 6/7 every year.

Exactly - if you boil down what went wrong last season, it is that we werent able to control the clock on offense. This is exactly what our coach wants to do on offense, and because we couldnt our inadequate front 7 on def wore down. Why werent we able to control the clock - because our o-line wasnt big enough to run a power offense.

Solution - get some quality big-ass o-lineman. Since we didnt get ANY in FA, tomorrow seems like a pretty bloody good time.

BamaFalcon59
04-21-2010, 09:54 PM
Any shot McBath steps in at S?

Was thinking about him when reading about the need for a S.

Me Likey Rookies
04-22-2010, 12:02 AM
I love to see Denver do well and I hope they pick Dez Bryant tomorow. Orton/Quinn need a big boy in order to be succesful. It will probably be a C or ILB but those can be had in the 2nd; Dez is by far the best WR in this draft.

Diehard
04-22-2010, 09:48 AM
I love to see Denver do well and I hope they pick Dez Bryant tomorow. Orton/Quinn need a big boy in order to be succesful. It will probably be a C or ILB but those can be had in the 2nd; Dez is by far the best WR in this draft.

We'll take a receiver, but it IMO will be one (or more) of these guys:

Arrelious Benn
Damian Williams
Eric Decker

Bryant has great talent, but I'm not convinced he's a great fit for the team.

the decider13
04-22-2010, 05:17 PM
What's with all the Tebow in the first rumors?? These are killing me. I don't know what I would do if they picked him.

Jimmy
04-22-2010, 05:20 PM
What's with all the Tebow in the first rumors?? These are killing me. I don't know what I would do if they picked him.

a lot of people are saying its gonna happen and at this point i think there's enough evidence to be at least 50% sure it's going to happen.

the decider13
04-22-2010, 05:48 PM
There is no way to justify taking a project QB at 11 when there are so many holes on the team. It would make me yearn for the days of trading up for jarvis moss.

04-22-2010, 05:57 PM
I have a gut feeling we're doing it, guys. I'll pretty much be overjoyed to hear any name BUT Tebow.

Diehard
04-22-2010, 08:27 PM
Some good movement by McD. Two 3rd's and a 4th just like that. I have to believe they had another offer on the 11 pick that forced the 49ers to make the trade.

Diehard
04-22-2010, 08:31 PM
traded to 24... of course it's ******* tebow. was hoping iupati or pouncey would fall, iupati's gone now. weak.

Of course a horror show like that could occur, but don't write off my boy Weatherspoon. Look who's in the way:

20. Houston (9-7)
21. Cincinnati (10-6)
22. New England (10-6)
23. Green Bay (11-5)

None of them need an ILB.

Diehard
04-22-2010, 08:32 PM
Of course then the 19 pick goes and takes him... FML.

Jimmy
04-22-2010, 08:44 PM
what about dan williams?

Jimmy
04-22-2010, 08:49 PM
it's basically a brandon marshall replacement. ic ant believe it. iw as sure mcdaniels wouldnt go this route. i even wrote a post on how mcD WOULDNT draft a reciever like him.

Well ****.. crow time

Diehard
04-22-2010, 09:05 PM
I'd written him off as a possibility as we didn't take a look at him... or at least the information at hand said we didn't.

Could turn out great. Big play receiver who also brings the hammer down as a blocker. High effort guy as well. I can see him on the outside, testing the opposing defense deep down the field. That was something we didn't do enough of last year.

Jimmy
04-22-2010, 09:05 PM
http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Entertainment/Images/jesus.jpg

04-22-2010, 09:39 PM
I have a gut feeling we're doing it, guys. I'll pretty much be overjoyed to hear any name BUT Tebow.

ffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Timbathia
04-22-2010, 09:39 PM
I can with the first pick, but trading up for Tebow??? ******* seriously, how is that the best ******* option. **** me.

the decider13
04-22-2010, 09:41 PM
at least he'll fit in well down in the springs.

All I could think of was Focus on the Family commercials with Tebow.

Diehard
04-22-2010, 09:46 PM
Sounds like Buffalo is pissed off that we made this move.

If the team feels Tebow can be a legit franchise QB, then this move makes sense... and would in fact be a steal if Tebow works out. If it doesn't work out, well, McD and X will quickly find themselves on the unemployment line.

Jimmy
04-22-2010, 10:17 PM
i can't hate the guy. he's a bronco now. what happened happened. i suppose things could be worse. getting the greatest player in collegiate history can't be THAT bad. although it's a dumb decision.

Jimmy
04-22-2010, 10:20 PM
as for bey-bey. he'll be fun in madden. that's about all i can say right now.

04-22-2010, 10:22 PM
I'm ordering a counterfeit Tebow jersey from the same place I get my cheap hockey jerseys. Worst case scenario, I wear it ironically.

CT Bronco Fan
04-22-2010, 10:25 PM
At least 15 is open now for when we draft Tebow.

I was kinda hoping I was kidding when I posted this about a week ago.

Oh well, Welcome to Denver Tebow. Hopefully we'll see some endzone jump passes.

Diehard
04-22-2010, 10:27 PM
you know, minus the amount we gave up, i'm talking myself into not hating tebow. mcdaniels has very nearly staked his career (or at least his entire reputation) on this pick. if he's anything approaching the qb guru people called him, this may not turn out so bad.

Both these picks are high potential, high effort players who need a fair amount of polishing. I was expecting a more conservative plan for building our talent base, but McD and X instead chose to roll the dice on some bigtime upside.

It will certainly be interesting to see how this plays out.

04-22-2010, 10:33 PM
Kxe8R6BhdBQ

Diehard
04-22-2010, 11:34 PM
if we spend tomorrow and saturday drilling the oline, lb and dline, i'll hate the pick less. if we spend the entire draft getting skill positions, i'll be pissed.

I think we could be in the market for one more skill position guy. After that, OL and front 7.

what sort of annoys me now is the quinn pickup. maybe they didn't know they'd like tebow this much at that point, but why do we need 3 mediocre (as of now, i'm perfectly willing to reverse that opinion when shown evidence that it ought to be reversed) qbs?

Orton is gone as a FA after this year - his 2010 season will be one big audition for a payday with some other team. Between Quinn and Tebow you've got substantial unrealized potential to develop... and you only really need one of them to pay off and it's all good.

Monomach
04-23-2010, 12:53 AM
http://broncotalk.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/cutler_marshall.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s235/revmyspace2/graphics/greetings/condolences/sympathyCondolences50.jpg

I feel for you, guys. I know you're all going to talk yourselves into loving Tebow and stuff because it's all you can do, but yeah...Seriously, my heart goes out to you.

Diehard
04-23-2010, 01:03 AM
I feel for you, guys. I know you're all going to talk yourselves into loving Tebow and stuff because it's all you can do, but yeah...Seriously, my heart goes out to you.

Nah, in 9 months time when BMarsh makes headlines for *****-slapping his woman with a half-eaten Filet-O-Fish, I'll be pleased that he's some other team's problem to deal with.

Timbathia
04-23-2010, 02:08 AM
I will give Josh this - he has a vision and he is going to go and make it happen. Most people in the world dont have the cahones to go so far out on a limb.

I am not going to fight it, second guess it, or completely buy into it. It is what it is. Whoever he takes is my team, and I hope like **** that they win each week. His plan has merit, even if it is not what I would do, so hears to hoping that it works (and if not I can tell my 1 yr old twins some time when they are old enough about this ****-up of a coach the Broncos hired back when they were born).

3projectPAT6
04-23-2010, 03:28 AM
I will give Josh this - he has a vision and he is going to go and make it happen. Most people in the world dont have the cahones to go so far out on a limb.

I am not going to fight it, second guess it, or completely buy into it. It is what it is. Whoever he takes is my team, and I hope like **** that they win each week. His plan has merit, even if it is not what I would do, so hears to hoping that it works (and if not I can tell my 1 yr old twins some time when they are old enough about this ****-up of a coach the Broncos hired back when they were born).

I haven't posted on this site in almost two years, but I honestly could not agree with you more. McDaniels is an arrogant prick. He is so fixated on this "character, high effort" direction.

My main argument would be: This is the NFL. I don't care how bad you want it. There are hundreds of people who would literally kill to be elite nfl players. However, to mcaniels credit, Tebow is not like another collegiate player, athlete, or person that I have ever experienced. I honestly think he is one of the most motivated individuals the general public has ever witnessed. There is the possibility that Tebow is that rare talent draft nicks wrongfully contrast on future draft picks.

I can here it now, "Obviously terrelle pryor doesnt have that Tim Tebow work ethic, but hes an elite athlete."

"Jake Locker will be a Tim Tebow type, you know the first guy in the building and the last guy to leave."

This descriptions of Tim Tebow's work ethic does not describe him. Its not that he will be the first guy in and the last guy to leave. Its the fact that he will not allow himself to be a loser. Now give me a chance to clarify here... To be completely honest, I truly question this pick this high. I simply do not trust Mcdaniels. He is too impulsive, cocky, and unproven. However, I do believe in Tim Tebow as a football player.

I find it difficult to picture a scenario where he says, "hey the NFL is too much for me, its too hard. I can't do it." And historically this has been the traditional downfall of all highly touted quarterbacks.

Joey Harrington emotionally broke down in Detriot and explicitly expressed he could not handle the pressure associated with being the QB for the passionate yet consistently unsatisfied Lions Fans. Ryan Leaf was too immature for the NFL. Tim Couch didn't have the leadership qualities and other intangibles. Jamarcus Russell never appreciated his opportunity in the NFL as anything more than a big pay day.

The main point is I cant think of a quarterback drafted in first round who only had mechanics negatively affecting his draft status. I am hoping and praying mcDaniels knows what he is doing, but at the same time are hopeful for the broncos future.

The thing that really tears me up about this new broncos regime is that its nothing like the super bowl winning teams or anything before. There is no Shannahan quality. Previously, we would take chances on character issue guys. Some times it would bite us in the ass, somtimes it would pay off. I miss that about the broncos... I use to get excited about hearing about character issue guys being on the trading block, thinking they could revitalize their careers in denver.

Now I've reached the conclusion its just simply not gonna happen. We are in a building phase and want to make a New England Patriot esque locker room. untill we have that strong foundation we we refuse to take any chances on character issue guys.

The only upside to Mcdaniels approach that ultimately somehow makes me believe is that is does somewhat resemeble those championships teams values.

The 97 and 98 broncos were comprised of hardworking, undervalued, low draft pick players. The new broncos might be able to bring a similar mentality by focusing on character guys.

Ultimately, I look at it this way, McDaniels has taken so many risk in such a short period of time, he is a boom or bust head coach. So from that angle the Broncos will either be extremely successful in the next two to three year or else we will fire mcDaniels and have the opportunity to start all over and hopefully rebuild in a more conservative and consistent manner.

Jimmy
04-23-2010, 05:30 AM
i kinda feel like we've all forgotten that a day 2 pick is now a rd 2, 3 pick. i felt like i sorta lost sight of that and went to bed with this really crappy "we didn't reload on defense on day 1" mentality. but i really did forget that hey we still have a 2 and a 3.

Jimmy
04-23-2010, 10:25 AM
so.. can someone put together a list of what we've netted and what we've lost so far picks wise?

CT Bronco Fan
04-23-2010, 12:36 PM
so.. can someone put together a list of what we've netted and what we've lost so far picks wise?

It's all listed in the Denver Broncos 2010 Off-season Transactions Thread

Namy
04-23-2010, 04:16 PM
Hey guys,

Haven't posted here in forever, but I had the impulse to do so after the Tebow pick.

Seems like most of you guys didn't like it initially but are willing to accept it now. I personally love the pick. There has not been a more celebrated college player than Tebow. Obviously, that doesn't necessarily imply that he will translate nicely into the NFL, but his tremendous upside simply cannot be ignored. It's a bold move by McDaniels, but I really believe this one will pay off.

Even though I disliked the Gators team, I never could dislike Tebow. He's a winner, an athlete, a leader, but he's also genuinely humble. This guy is coachable. He might struggle a lot early on, but this is the kind of player an entire team will rally around. We obviously have many needs on both sides of our team, but I think we can all agree that if Tebow lives up to the hype (which he is determined to do), everone will look back on this pick as an absolute steal.

By the way, I still get shivers when I listen to Tebow's pledge:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sGv2Zw-WQw

Jimmy
04-23-2010, 05:02 PM
There is rumor that denver will trade up into the early second round. let's see what happens.

Jimmy
04-23-2010, 06:11 PM
who the **** is zane beadles? fire mc d haha

3projectPAT6
04-23-2010, 08:26 PM
Current inside backers on the broncos roster:

DJ Williams
Wesley Woodyard
Spencer Larcen

I think McD really thought Weatherspoon was gonna be there at 24...

sbh15
04-23-2010, 08:31 PM
Gator fan here who came to check out the Tebow talk...

Surprisingly decent reception considering how much people around here hate him. Not a Broncos fan, thought I sort of became one with the pick, but if you care at all about my take, I'll offer it.

I don't know what McDaniels was doing with the trade, that was terrible value, but I guess he thought he needed to do it to get his guy. Anyway, I think Denver will actually not only maximize Tebow's short term potential, but also his long term potential.

McDaniels is clearly a gifted offensive mind, you have to admit, regardless of how he's running the team. He turned Kyle ******* Orton into a 3,800 yard passer with a 86.8 quarterback rating - 9.2 higher than his career best. So, I assume that he can work with Tebow as a quarterback in terms of reads and progressions, and Tebow will certainly be ready and willing to watch film and study the playbook 24/7. It's all a matter of the mechanics, which will still probably take another year or two to fully fix.

But that brings me to the next point. Denver has Kyle Orton and Brady Quinn on the roster as is. Orton was the quarterback of an 8-8 team last year, one that most people thought would be terrible. Brady Quinn still has untapped potential, although they did lose the top weapon. Regardless, having those guys allows Tebow to wait and learn how to be an NFL quarterback.

While he waits, I think McDaniels is certainly creative enough to create quite a few gadget plays and a special offensive package for Tebow, utilizing him in short yardage, as a wildcat QB, and even as a tight end.

So, although there are obviously guys who may have had higher grades and been better picks than Tebow, you have him, but be happy with the fact that this may be the best chance for him in all of the NFL. If you had just taken Dez Bryant instead of Demaryius Thomas, I think Denver would be golden right now, but it is what is.

Jimmy
04-23-2010, 08:42 PM
Current inside backers on the broncos roster:

DJ Williams
Wesley Woodyard
Spencer Larcen

I think McD really thought Weatherspoon was gonna be there at 24...

i really like both woodyard and larson. woodyard isnt big enough.. but i like him

Cunningham
04-23-2010, 08:51 PM
pretty sure haggan will move inside and play ilb on running downs with woodyard replacing him on passing downs

jCut
04-23-2010, 09:02 PM
I have to say, I really like this draft. You really can't argue with 5 overall good guys. All tough, competitive and smart. Nice job so far McDaniels.

Timbathia
04-23-2010, 09:09 PM
Apart from the slightly concerning lack of an ILB, I am pretty damn happy with the draft so far.

If Haggan can hold the fort down moving inside and the non-Tebow rookies can contribute, then we may actually be pretty competitive this year.

the decider13
04-23-2010, 09:29 PM
Fixing the o line is good, and set at WR for a while. Decker was one of my favorite players in the draft, so I'm excited to see him in Denver. Overall a decent draft. At least McDaniels has a direction that he is trying to take the team. Should be interesting to watch.

Monomach
04-24-2010, 12:48 AM
Hey guys,

Haven't posted here in forever, but I had the impulse to do so after the Tebow pick.

Seems like most of you guys didn't like it initially but are willing to accept it now. I personally love the pick. There has not been a more celebrated college player than Tebow. Obviously, that doesn't necessarily imply that he will translate nicely into the NFL, but his tremendous upside simply cannot be ignored. It's a bold move by McDaniels, but I really believe this one will pay off.

Even though I disliked the Gators team, I never could dislike Tebow. He's a winner, an athlete, a leader, but he's also genuinely humble. This guy is coachable. He might struggle a lot early on, but this is the kind of player an entire team will rally around. We obviously have many needs on both sides of our team, but I think we can all agree that if Tebow lives up to the hype (which he is determined to do), everone will look back on this pick as an absolute steal.

By the way, I still get shivers when I listen to Tebow's pledge:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sGv2Zw-WQw

Tebow = Rudy.

Everyone wants Rudy on their team. No one wants him to actually play, though.

Diehard
04-24-2010, 01:01 AM
awesome, and decker.

I knew we'd end up with Decker - it's a great fit. Going G and C in succession wasn't much of a surprise either.

It wouldn't surprise me if we package our last two picks to move up into the 4th. LB would be the obvious choice, but there are still a number of big running backs on the board if we want to maintain the emphasis on offense.

Jimmy
04-24-2010, 07:16 AM
at this stage of the game i wouldnt mind a little Dwyer/Thomas

edit: more proof that decker is the next ed mccaffrey. he's white. and he is 6'3. and he was picked at #87. all the proof you need.

the decider13
04-24-2010, 10:49 AM
Tebow = Rudy.

Everyone wants Rudy on their team. No one wants him to actually play, though.

Why are you posting on our team board if you are just going to take shots at what the team is doing?

Jimmy
04-24-2010, 11:11 AM
PLEASE denver take perrish cox. please. rd 4 we HAVE to take him.

the decider13
04-24-2010, 11:16 AM
good call jimmy

Jimmy
04-24-2010, 11:16 AM
WOOO
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_8ssNdLxsaxU/SwV5nMjrU8I/AAAAAAAAFRw/nlC5jBcnZ54/s1600/CoxP0801.JPG

Diehard
04-24-2010, 12:04 PM
Why are you posting on our team board if you are just going to take shots at what the team is doing?

Tebow will bring attention, both positive and negative. Get used to it.

There's a guy I know locally who hates the Gators and was adamant that Tebow would be a late rounder. It's one thing to not like something, but I suspect being wrong about it as well is going to bring out the worst in him. Similarly, a lot of people on this board were pretty vocal in their denigration of Tebow - don't expect them to start taking the high road now.

The truth is that no one knows how this will turn out. I can only hope that McD puts Tebow in the best possible situation to succeed.

Diehard
04-24-2010, 12:13 PM
PLEASE denver take perrish cox. please. rd 4 we HAVE to take him.

Nice call, bro. Good value.

Doesn't quite fit the mould in terms of character, but I assume whatever the underlying issues were didn't bother McD too much. We've got pretty strong leadership in the secondary, which will help as well.

Monomach
04-24-2010, 04:25 PM

I know it's silly to expect people to discuss the draft on a draft discussion board. Downright ridiculous, amirite?

Am I not allowed to unless I come here to fellate your horrible head coach who traded off the offensive core of your team and wasted the picks he got for them?

Diehard
04-24-2010, 04:35 PM
Am I not allowed to unless I come here to fellate your horrible head coach who traded off the offensive core of your team and wasted the picks he got for them?

You express that as fact, yet it remains to be seen.

You of course may cast doubt on the decisions made. However, if these moves end up paying off, you will be required to bow down before Tebow's holy might and grovel for forgiveness.

keylime_5
04-24-2010, 06:57 PM
Love you guys' Zane Beadles pick. He was guy I was hoping Cleveland would snag in round 3.

Hope you guys are prepared for non-stop ESPN/Media attention considering who you drafted at QB. We had the same thing with Brady Quinn, but I think Tebow-fest in Denver with the media will be ten fold what Quinn was.

Diehard
04-24-2010, 07:57 PM
Love you guys' Zane Beadles pick. He was guy I was hoping Cleveland would snag in round 3.

In the presser after the last set of picks, McD indicated that they looked at Beadles as an OT first, OG second. I think they are hoping he can develop into a swing tackle, giving us some security if Harris goes down to injury again. I believe Utah uses a spread offense, so this has the look of a very system-specific fit.

Along similar lines, Greg Olsen from ND is being looked at as an OG first, C second.

Throw in Hochstein and Seth Olsen, and we've got a lot of guys able to play multiple positions along the line.

the decider13
04-24-2010, 10:58 PM
I know it's silly to expect people to discuss the draft on a draft discussion board. Downright ridiculous, amirite?

There are team boards for a reason....so fans can discuss their team with other fans. We aren't trolling chicago's boards so there isn't really a reason for you to post here talking about how you hate the teams draft.

Overall I'm very happy with the draft. Love Thomas and Decker and like that the offensive line is being worked on. Not a huge fan of the 7th round move and still not 100% behind Tebow, but overall I'm happy.

Namy
04-24-2010, 11:13 PM
Really like the pickup of Perrish Cox. I remember watching him at a CU football game in person last year. He's very athletic.

I really like the fact that we've focused on our OL. Smart move by McDaniels considering that we're building up for Tebow. May be an average year this upcoming season (though they could surprise us), but I think this draft will really help solidify our future. This draft was not just about a quick fix but long-term sustainability.

the decider13
04-24-2010, 11:17 PM
Very true about the ILB issue. All the guys we have are OLBs being forced to the inside.

Me Likey Rookies
04-24-2010, 11:43 PM
Haggan is moving to ILB right?

Diehard
04-25-2010, 03:21 PM
Haggan is moving to ILB right?

Yes, he'll go from the strongside OLB to the MIKE spot (or at least that's what McD said).

Keep in mind Haggan played ILB prior to coming to Denver, so it's a decent fit.

rascal
04-26-2010, 10:37 AM
Even with the signing of Akin Ayodele our LB core is scary thin, albeit not as scary as HB.

Mr. Goosemahn
04-28-2010, 02:21 PM
Ryan Clady suffered a possibly serious Patellar Tendon injury in a non-football related accident.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14976271

Jimmy
04-28-2010, 02:55 PM
looks like zane is starting sooner than expected

jCut
04-28-2010, 06:43 PM
Better for this to happen in April than in the summer, I guess. He'll have a solid 4 months to get ready. I hope that's enough.

Timbathia
04-29-2010, 12:55 AM
Better for this to happen in April than in the summer, I guess. He'll have a solid 4 months to get ready. I hope that's enough.

Sounds like it should be enough. I suppose it is better for a player that doesnt touch the ball to miss most of the offseason than a player that does. As long as the knee is 100% and he is in reasonable condition for the opener then we should be okay.

Me Likey Rookies
04-30-2010, 01:01 AM
g7xFznOSmvY

Jimmy
04-30-2010, 04:49 PM
g7xFznOSmvY

raptor jesus > Tebow

descendency
05-05-2010, 07:45 PM
Tebow already leads the NFL in a meaningless stat: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/05/tim-tebow-already-leads-the-league-in-something/

Good start right?

05-05-2010, 08:04 PM
I'm gonna buy one. But illegally.

Also njx I saw you asked about the site I buy from earlier. it's dhgate.com. I was waiting for my Stevens and Doughty jersies to get here before I recommended it. The Stevens one got here, I'm still waiting on the Doughty but it seems like the site has some good stuff to prevent funny business.

Timbathia
05-05-2010, 09:33 PM
(yes, yes, denver people. i'm a wings fan.)

how the **** can that happen?

Timbathia
05-06-2010, 12:49 AM
grew up rooting for them... we got the avs... i tried to root for them, but i just couldn't do it.

doesn't help that most of the avs fans i meet these days can't spell hockey.

also: is it geelong, vic? was just down in melbourne a couple weeks ago.

Fair enough - I agree that the Avs isnt the most historic franchise in the world. Denver is a football town, period. Hockey, basketball and baseball are a nice past-time if the teams are doing well, but really, how many people really care what happens with them.

Yeah, that is the correct Geelong. Not as nice as Golden, but okay. I especially hate getting up early on a Monday morning to watch the Broncos through nfl.com. What were you doing in Melb?

zachsaints52
05-08-2010, 12:06 PM
I honestly contemplated being a Broncos fan with my friends.... But I am going to stick with the Saints but know your a close #2 in my heart.

Al Wilson FTW!

Jimmy
06-03-2010, 11:41 PM
so who do you guys think make the final 5-6 recievers out of the following?
11 McKinley, Kenny WR 6' 0" 183 23 2nd South Carolina D5- '09
12 Willis, Matthew WR 5' 11" 185 26 3rd UCLA FA- '08
16 Williams, Landis WR 5' 10" 174 21 R Maine CFA- '10
17 Honeycutt, Patrick WR 5' 9" 172 23 R Middle Tennessee State CFA- '10
87 Decker, Eric WR 6' 3" 220 23 R Minnesota D3b- '10
10 Gaffney, Jabar WR 6' 2" 200 29 9th Florida UFA(NE)- '09
19 Royal, Eddie WR 5' 10" 180 24 3rd Virginia Tech D2- '08
88 Thomas, Demaryius WR 6' 3" 229 22 R Georgia Tech D1a- '10
84 Lloyd, Brandon WR 6' 0" 194 28 8th Illinois FA- '09
82 Arnett, Alric WR 6' 1" 186 22 R West Virginia CFA- '10
1 Lyons, Dicky WR 5' 11" 190 24 1st Kentucky FA- '10
14 Stokley, Brandon WR 6' 0" 192 33 12th Southwestern-Louisiana FA- '07

my guess is that stokley, lyons, arnett, honeycutt, landis, get the axe leaving

1. Eddie Royal
2. Jabar Gaffney
3. Demaryius Thomas
4. Brandon Lloyd
5. Eric Decker
6. Kenny McKinley

6 was a tossup between matt willis and mckinley. McDaniels has already raved about those two guys as the fastest 2 on the ballclub. Lets see who makes it.

Jimmy
06-04-2010, 08:05 AM
i doubt lloyd makes it... guy is garbage, and more expensive than any of the rookies. then again, i'd say the same thing about gaffney, but i'm sure he'll be starting.

i woudl have said the same thing. denver post says lloyd is getting a ton of reps at the #2. well see how long that lasts. the guy probably has the best hands on the team when theyre functioning. he just isn't consistent and drops too many easy ones. thats pretty much all ive heard about him.

49erNation85
06-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Not sure if this has been discussed yet but here is the QB depth chart as of this week from NFLN . Could it be possible that Tebow beats out Quinn at number ?
1) Orton
2) Quinn
3) Tebow

Splat
06-04-2010, 07:48 PM
Broncos lock up Chris Kuper (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/04/broncos-lock-up-chris-kuper/)

49erNation85
06-05-2010, 11:30 PM
With TO being a FA could Denver sign TO and use him in their play book and either a second WR or Third for that matter and see him and as an instant play maker ? What do you guys thinks ? IMO it would be a interesting area for TO as long as he could leave his on and off drama and just play his game like in the old days back as a 9er before all BS .

Jimmy
06-07-2010, 07:47 AM
I think we got a VERY good deal on that kuper resign. 29 million over 6 years? not bad when you consider he'll be making $13 in bonuses. That mean's he'll be making a little under 3 million a year. I think that's a pretty healthy number for a player of his caliber, and it won't kill our cap.

bigbluedefense
06-07-2010, 07:51 AM
i think you need to think more before hitting submit.

on a sidenote, i played ping pong vs. timmy in lodo tonight. reaffirmed my belief that he's basically a cool dude that i'd never want to actually spend time with. cutler was far more up my alley, in terms of late night drinking.

wait, you met Tim Tebow?

or you know him?

If you did, is he how he's advertised as, or is it all for show?

Timbathia
06-08-2010, 08:18 PM
This was a decent read

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1170592/1/index.htm

Diehard
06-09-2010, 02:03 PM
I think we got a VERY good deal on that kuper resign. 29 million over 6 years? not bad when you consider he'll be making $13 in bonuses. That mean's he'll be making a little under 3 million a year. I think that's a pretty healthy number for a player of his caliber, and it won't kill our cap.

It is a very reasonable deal. I think him wanting to stay in Denver was a factor, which is a good thing.

definitely interesting overall, though i wish it was less about tebow and more about what all of the qbs are doing to figure out the system/get better.

The transition in offensive scheme is an interesting issue. I wonder if McD wasn't perhaps a little spoiled in NE where the offense evolved out of the old Erhardt-Perkins system over time. It's one thing to be part of a gradual change, another entirely for the majority of the offensive players to come in completely cold and pick up the offense from scratch.

Splat
06-10-2010, 09:41 AM
Broncos threaten to reduce Dumervil's tender (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-20100610_broncos_threaten_to_reduce_dumervils_tend er)

06-10-2010, 09:55 AM
brilliant. i love alienating our star players over and over.

Should be right on schedule to trade him next off-season.

Timbathia
06-10-2010, 10:51 PM
Broncos threaten to reduce Dumervil's tender (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-20100610_broncos_threaten_to_reduce_dumervils_tend er)

Standard play in the business of NFL contract negotiations. This by itself is not even a story.

the decider13
06-15-2010, 01:26 PM
Doom signed his tender yesterday. A step in the right direction.

Timbathia
06-17-2010, 09:36 PM
i seriously don't think xanders has the faintest ******* clue what he's doing.

Appears to be better at his job than AJ Smith right now.

Timbathia
06-17-2010, 10:32 PM
meh.

i'm not sure that's the standard i'd be looking for here...

Hey, I just want to start by winning the damn division, then move onto bigger things. If Al Davis and AJ Smith want to help by being worse at their jobs than anyone we got, then fantastic.

06-18-2010, 09:51 AM
Appears to be better at his job than AJ Smith right now.

I dunno. If Dumervil is alienated, that's 50% of our good players right there. It may only be one guy, but that's the state of Denver Broncos football after Xanders already got rid of the best QB and the best WR we've had since Elway retired.

Timbathia
06-21-2010, 12:05 AM
fair enough, but i think al might be changing... the raiders honestly scare me. if we go through another massive collapse, it doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility that we end up dead last in the division (if cassell plays well). it's not quite as bad as losing the nfc west, but that'd still be ugly.

True that the Raiders had a really good off-season. Hopefully that was just an aberration and wont happen again.

I am actually quite positive about the upcoming season (provided Doom gets paid at some point and Clady gets healthy). I just cant believe that Orton, Moreno, the rest of the offense and McDaniels wont be better than last season now that they know/understand more about what they are doing. The def line will be better, and as long as Champ and Dawk dont suddenly fall off the old-age cliff, we should be good in the backfield.

Diehard
06-21-2010, 02:14 PM
True that the Raiders had a really good off-season. Hopefully that was just an aberration and wont happen again.

Oakland has brought in plenty of talent over the years, but without effective leadership it doesn't mean much.

The def line will be better, and as long as Champ and Dawk dont suddenly fall off the old-age cliff, we should be good in the backfield.

I like the depth we have in our secondary. I don't think we need to lean on Dawk and Champ heavily at this point - a solid rotation would probably help everyone (old guys get to rest, young guys get extra reps).

CT Bronco Fan
07-10-2010, 02:00 PM
Playing as Tebow in Madden will be fun.

That's the most positive thing I can think of to say about the Broncos right now.

Timbathia
07-11-2010, 06:16 PM
Playing as Tebow in Madden will be fun.

Not if you like passing the ball!

49erNation85
07-11-2010, 10:40 PM
Not if you like passing the ball!

Hes gonna have a descent arm to above average if you ask me. You are just gonna have to make smart decisions and not throw wildly.Its gonna be exicting to watch Tebow grow into a pocket passer.I'm still worried how he is gonna handle under a real game situation.Other then that issue I think hes doing fine this off season :popcorn:

the decider13
07-28-2010, 10:11 PM
There really aren't any active threads on this forum, but I felt the need to share. I'm gonna be in Denver next week and going to a couple of training camp practices while I'm in town. Haven't been back to Denver in years, I miss it so much. Can't wait to see the Broncos in action.

the decider13
07-29-2010, 11:43 AM
i have no idea how old you are, but you should break away from the desolation of dove valley and head back towards downtown at night. though boulder, this time of year, is a far better time.

I'm only 19, so not a ton of night life for me. I do plan on spending some time in lodo since I never really went there as a kid. Also going to a rockies game while I'm in town.

Any awesome spots in Denver to know? Last time I was there was 6 years ago, so I imagine it's quite different.

Jimmy
07-30-2010, 10:58 PM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5jeeqiHyL8kr7NHMoqZXpQ3qSR1jw

GREAT pickup. arrington is a guy who could have seen a grand total of 0 carries this year. and probably would have been injured. glad we picked up a solid contributor like mays. seems like a woodyard-esque player. love woodyard.

CT Bronco Fan
07-31-2010, 04:14 PM
arrington was still on our roster?

We re-signed him shortly after the draft iirc

sbh15
08-01-2010, 02:16 PM
knowshon moreno's injury is reported to be a torn hamstring (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/08/broncos-fear-knowshon-moreno-may-have-suffered-torn-hamstring-in-practice/1)

Timbathia
08-01-2010, 05:57 PM
knowshon moreno's injury is reported to be a torn hamstring (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/08/broncos-fear-knowshon-moreno-may-have-suffered-torn-hamstring-in-practice/1)

I dont care how bad njx9 thinks Moreno is - this is not good news. We need Knowshon this year and missing training camp is not an ideal build up.

Brian Westbrook anyone?

CT Bronco Fan
08-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Could see us maybe making a play for Marshawn Lynch or Fred Jackson from Buffalo, their backfield is pretty crowded now.

We are def going to need RB help if this is a sign of how the season is going to go.

the decider13
08-01-2010, 07:48 PM
I read that it was a strain. I was hoping to see him next week but I guess he won't be there. Sucks.

Timbathia
08-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Klis is reporting that Moreno will be out for 3 weeks and Buck for 1 week. Not too bad if that is the case.

the decider13
08-01-2010, 09:48 PM
I guess that isn't too bad. But it shows how terribly thin we are at RB this year. Buck is always an injury waiting to happen. We need another decent runner or we need someone to step up like the old days.

I'll give my camp impressions next week on whoever is playing with the first team. I don't even know who our third back is.

49erNation85
08-01-2010, 09:58 PM
So who is going to step in a RB then ? any one worthy

Timbathia
08-04-2010, 06:21 PM
Kolby Smith goes from first team reps to being waived, and then LenWhale comes in? WTF - I thought we wanted character guys.

Splat
08-04-2010, 07:46 PM
Kinda surprised Kolby Smith got wavied even if he is a injury waiting to happen Lendale will miss the first four games do to a suspension. (If he makes the team)

Timbathia
08-05-2010, 06:25 PM
So the two big questions now are how many wins do we get, and how many sacks does Jarvis Moss get?

I will go with 7 and 7 (call me an optimist).

08-05-2010, 10:26 PM
FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUaaa

jCut
08-07-2010, 08:59 PM
We're dropping like flies out there. Whatever optimism I've built up this offseason is now lost.

08-07-2010, 09:42 PM
2 and 0.

i'm completely convinced jarvis moss is complete garbage. i sincerely hope i'm wrong, that he turns it around, and that we can trade him in the offseason, even though mcdaniels will probably trade him for matt light to replace clady.

That or we'll draft another QB and beef Tebow up to play LT.

Timbathia
08-07-2010, 10:33 PM
We're dropping like flies out there. Whatever optimism I've built up this offseason is now lost.

now decker and bay bay - this is just silly.

Jimmy
08-13-2010, 01:46 PM
great news is that marquez branson is back on the field after he had to be carted off a few days ago. branson very well could be our top receiving TE this year since we all know Danny boy isnt that big a threat.

49erNation85
08-15-2010, 04:02 PM
Who is all excited for the game tonight ? I am for one stoked.Sadly I gotta watch it on my dam phone ( NFL mobile ) Should be a fun game tonight to see young Tebow light up the Bangles and prove everyone !

Timbathia
08-15-2010, 08:35 PM
Who is all excited for the game tonight ? I am for one stoked.Sadly I gotta watch it on my dam phone ( NFL mobile ) Should be a fun game tonight to see young Tebow light up the Bangles and prove everyone !

lets not get ahead of ourselves. Orton looked good, and hopefully Tebow doesnt suck as hard as Quinn just did.

Bengals78
08-15-2010, 08:36 PM
Orton looked like Orton tonight. Great game managing, nothing spectacular. He fits the offense well.
Tebow still has his wind up on the deep throw.
Your LB Atkins looks promising as a back up.

brat316
08-15-2010, 09:06 PM

Boy he is lighting it up.

Still can't believe he went in the first...he is going to be a long project.

Bengals78
08-15-2010, 09:07 PM
Boy he is lighting it up.

Still can't believe he went in the first...he is going to be a long project.

Not his fault the Bengals showed up and that Bangles team got stuck in traffic

sbh15
08-15-2010, 09:18 PM
tebow looked pretty damn good, albiet against the 3rd team defense

Bengals78
08-15-2010, 09:21 PM
tebow looked pretty damn good, albiet against the 3rd team defense

He looked good against a prevent. They gave him the sides and the underneath with only a 4 man rush.

He looked like he had a slow throwing motion still. Made some decent throws. But really looked lost reading blitzes.

Plus the bonehead run at the end.

Timbathia
08-15-2010, 09:37 PM
We learned tonight what we already basically knew. Orton has been great in camp, understands the offense and is making good decisions. Quinn and Tebow have a long way to go. Anyone that expected Tebow to look like an NFL QB tonight really, really knows nothing about football.

Bengals78
08-15-2010, 09:41 PM
We learned tonight what we already basically knew. Orton has been great in camp, understands the offense and is making good decisions. Quinn and Tebow have a long way to go. Anyone that expected Tebow to look like an NFL QB tonight really, really knows nothing about football.

I am more worried about his decision making with the ball in terms of running. That last run was dumb. 3 seconds in game you are down by 2 scores and he does that? First preseason game too. I want the kid to succeed but plays like that shorten careers.

brat316
08-15-2010, 10:02 PM
I am more worried about his decision making with the ball in terms of running. That last run was dumb. 3 seconds in game you are down by 2 scores and he does that? First preseason game too. I want the kid to succeed but plays like that shorten careers.

Shows me is going to go out and win, and that he has the balls to do what it takes to win. Hey he could get injured by pulling up and getting hit.

sbh15
08-15-2010, 10:05 PM
Shows me is going to go out and win, and that he has the balls to do what it takes to win. Hey he could get injured by pulling up and getting hit.

i agree with this. didn't you guys see his teammates surround him and give him some props? if he's willing to go that hard in the pre-season, he'll earn a lot of respect, and fast. he shows that he doesn't care what the situation, he wants to win.

Bengals78
08-15-2010, 10:09 PM
The will to win a game that cannot be won and it is a preseason game above all else?

I never said pull up. He should have slid.

Timbathia
08-15-2010, 10:12 PM

Decision making is exactly what rookie QBs need to develop when they get to the NFL. The game is quicker, hence less time to make decisions. He needs to learn what he can and cant do, should and shouldnt do. For a third string rookie QB that is trying to prove himself, erring on the side of doing a tough silly thing is better than squealing and dropping to the ground.

Bengals78
08-15-2010, 10:18 PM
Fine. But I won't feel bad if he does it against a better S than Herbet and gets injured.

Timbathia
08-15-2010, 10:29 PM
brady quinn, still one of the worst qbs in the league.

at least we still have no running game. or special teams. or secondary (at least from the 2nd on).

that third CB spot looks like it will haunt us again this year.

punting/coverage was god awful

All I am taking from this game is 2010 first preseason game Orton >>>> 2009 first preseason game Orton.......this is a good thing.

Bengals78
08-15-2010, 10:33 PM
Orton was impressive.

Me Likey Rookies
08-16-2010, 01:51 AM

at least we still have no running game. or special teams. or secondary (at least from the 2nd on).

Yes Quinn sucked.

Running game had Moreno, Buckhalter, Clady, Kuper out. Can't blame McD for not running the ball.

Perrish Cox should be the #3 CB.

Diehard
08-18-2010, 11:14 AM

Quinn isn't giving me much hope either, but it seems like bringing him pushed Orton to take his game up a notch.

Anyway, don't get too carried away with the negativity. Our starting offense and defense both looked good... even with a number of backups plugged in to cover injuries. That is very encouraging.

Diehard
08-18-2010, 12:29 PM
to be fair, i messed up the the game start, so i missed all the starters. my critcism is entirely after quinn came in for the first time.

Ah, then I understand your discontent. Too bad you missed the start, because Orton, the receivers and Champ made some nice plays. We looked better than Cincy (which is why we went up 14-0 with starters in). That surprised me a bit as 1) we were missing a number of our top players, and 2) Cincy already had a preseason game under their belts.

Timbathia
08-18-2010, 06:02 PM
did beadles start? i didn't hear his name at all... i need to find the quinn fumbles and see if it was him or walton...

Walton and Beadles played the entire game. They wont for the rest of the preseason, but apparently McDaniels wanted them to have one full game under their belt before the season started. Seems like they are locked in as starters already.

Diehard
08-19-2010, 12:19 PM
anyone get a good look at beadles? i felt like he was yet another crappy robert ayers-esque pick, but even a crappy fit at guard is better than anything we played there last year.

IMO, Beadles has been doing pretty well. Both he and Walton held up against Cincy's starters. Both have been getting a good push in the running game. Of course there are some rookie mistakes, particularly in pass protect.

Another encouraging development for the OL is that Batiste is showing that he can be effective as the backup LT, which we definitely need with Clady still on the mend. Not having to rely on Polumbus, who can't pass protect to save his life, is a bit of a relief.

CT Bronco Fan
08-22-2010, 12:11 AM
i don't know how many WRs we're going to keep, but i want willis to be one of them. also, can we just cut quinn already? i'd rather get ramsey back.

Quinn is terrible for sure. But would you be comfortable with just Tebow as the backup?

I can see Willis making the team. Assuming we keep 6, Willis can prob make it. If we only keep 5, It'd be pretty shocking to see him as the 5th. We might even keep 7 with how stacked we are at WR.

Sure Ins:
Jabar Gaffney
Eddie Royal
Eric Decker
Demaryius Thomas

Likely:
Brandon Lloyd

On the Bubble:
Brandon Stokley
Matthew Willis

Timbathia
08-22-2010, 10:19 PM
Nice to note that Ayers and Moss both got sacks yesterday. Hopefully even though against backups in the preseason, it gives them a taste for it.

We need to really hope that DJ and Mario stay healthy this season, as the backup LB options look awful.

Clady being back at full strength is essential if we want to have any success this season.

The Broncos may be more dependent on one player than any other team in the NFL. If Orton gets a season ending injury, there is an awesome chance we wouldnt win a game. With him and good luck elsewhere, I can still see us winning half of them. Maybe the Colts win-loss depends on Manning more???

Timbathia
08-22-2010, 10:55 PM
meh. our linebackers are awful even if the starters stay healthy. i'm also really hoping our disgusting pass rush is entirely due to the irrational fear that someone will steal our schemes, and that it's not indicative of another year of trying to get pressure with three mediocre linemen again.

and fricking jarvis moss. gets in, makes a great play, then starts celebrating while the ball is being fumbled. he had no idea the play was even still going on.

It seems that we are playing a lot of simple base stuff on both sides just to resolve a few starting spots, practicing situational stuff and evaluating which of the backups to keep. We appear to be making very little effort at all to win.

While I prefer players to act like they have been there before, I think Moss getting to the QB is a good start. If half of the positive talk about him from the clubhouse turns into reality this season we may not be as ****** as we thought we were when Doom went down (I know, I know, I am clutching at straws even wishing that Moss can replace a third of Dooms production).

Diehard
08-24-2010, 10:47 AM
It seems that we are playing a lot of simple base stuff on both sides just to resolve a few starting spots, practicing situational stuff and evaluating which of the backups to keep. We appear to be making very little effort at all to win.

This. Also, lots of injuries so we still haven't seen anything close to our true starting 22 yet.

However, I share njx's concerns about the LB corps. Unless some of the new additions really step up, it will be our weakness this year. This goes beyond just pass rush... the inside play is critical to stopping those long runs that really killed us at the end of last year.

49erNation85
08-28-2010, 02:38 PM
Does any one have any info on if Tebow is playing 2mrw night ? I hope he so I can get a chance to watch him live this week .

Timbathia
08-29-2010, 06:04 PM
Does any one have any info on if Tebow is playing 2mrw night ? I hope he so I can get a chance to watch him live this week .

Orton will play into the third quarter, so with Quinn still in front of Tebow I doubt they will risk him for such a short amount of playing time. Next week he should get almost a half.

Jimmy
08-29-2010, 09:34 PM
i think all of you understand why I have had (still have) the most effing enormous man crush on perrish cox for the last 6 months now.

Timbathia
08-29-2010, 10:15 PM
Ayers may not be a lost cause after all.

Timbathia
08-29-2010, 10:19 PM
Sydquan is making a decent case for Phonz's roster spot. Interesting to see if McD pulls the trigger and cuts him.

Diehard
08-29-2010, 10:30 PM
i think all of you understand why I have had (still have) the most effing enormous man crush on perrish cox for the last 6 months now.

That pick has turned out pretty well. Hopefully he can keep out of trouble.

Our secondary is looking like an area of strength. A lot of good young players backing up the savvy veterans.

Ayers may not be a lost cause after all.

Agreed - he looks pretty strong out there... which is good because we really need him to step up with Doom out. Hunter (#52), the DE/OLB we picked up from Detriot, also made some nice plays against the Steelers.

Diehard
08-29-2010, 10:47 PM
Sydquan is making a decent case for Phonz's roster spot. Interesting to see if McD pulls the trigger and cuts him.

Syd'quan better make the roster. He's got potential at CB and can definitely help as a returner while he develops as a defensive player.

I think the team likes Vaughn as well, which definitely makes the decision about who gets cut a difficult one. I think Vaughn ends up on the PS... I don't think they can try that trick with Syd'quan (especially after tonight). My guess is it will end up like this:

4 safeties - Hill, Dawkins, McBath, Bruton
5 corners - Champ, Goodman, Cox, Smith, Thompson

Carter joins Vaughn on the PS. Nate Jones gets cut for being outplayed by rookies.

Jimmy
08-29-2010, 10:51 PM

i would be so happy if we could grow some balls as an organization and cut our losses and get the sting of Alphonso over with before it becomes any more blatantly obvious that he was never worth a 1st round pick, let alone 5th. What does the guy even bring to the table? he's undersized, outmatched physically, too slow, and is mentally handicapped. I was one of those guys who was high on him but at this point.. meh

Timbathia
08-29-2010, 11:34 PM
Syd'quan better make the roster. He's got potential at CB and can definitely help as a returner while he develops as a defensive player.

I think the team likes Vaughn as well, which definitely makes the decision about who gets cut a difficult one. I think Vaughn ends up on the PS... I don't think they can try that trick with Syd'quan (especially after tonight). My guess is it will end up like this:

4 safeties - Hill, Dawkins, McBath, Bruton
5 corners - Champ, Goodman, Cox, Smith, Thompson

Carter joins Vaughn on the PS. Nate Jones gets cut for being outplayed by rookies.

I wouldnt disagree or have a problem with what you are saying, though on paper it looks risky to go into a season with a 5th round rookie, a 7th round rookie and a prime candidate for an epic bust as your three back-up corners. Not that Jones is anything even resembling a good corner, but at least he has played in the NFL before.

Timbathia
08-29-2010, 11:36 PM
i would be so happy if we could grow some balls as an organization and cut our losses and get the sting of Alphonso over with before it becomes any more blatantly obvious that he was never worth a 1st round pick, let alone 5th. What does the guy even bring to the table? he's undersized, outmatched physically, too slow, and is mentally handicapped. I was one of those guys who was high on him but at this point.. meh

I would like to see more before we cut him as I dont think he has been awful so far this preseason - i still hold out that he could become decent. However, it is becoming more difficult to justify keeping a roster spot for him with the two new rookies showing signs.

Diehard
08-30-2010, 12:02 AM
I would like to see more before we cut him as I dont think he has been awful so far this preseason - i still hold out that he could become decent.

In fact, he played pretty well tonight. The PI call against him was straight-up ********. I wish he could've finished in the backfield (then we'd be talking about the great night he had) still, his blitzing disrupted the offense and allowed others to make the plays.

CT Bronco Fan
08-30-2010, 02:22 PM
Here is my projected 53 man roster.

QB: (2) Kyle Orton, Tim Tebow
RB: (3) Knowshon Moreno, Correll Buckhalter, Lance Ball
FB: (1) Spencer Larsen
WR: (7) Brandon Lloyd, Jabar Gaffney, Eddie Royal, Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker, Brandon Stokley, Matthew Willis
TE: (3) Daniel Graham, Richard Quinn, Marquez Branson
OL: (8 ) Ryan Clady, Zane Beadles, J.D. Walton, Chris Kuper, Ryan Harris, Paul Duncan, Ross Hochstein, Stanley Daniels

DL: (8 ) Justin Bannan, Jamal Williams, Ryan McBean, Ronald Fields, Jarvis Green, Marcus Thomas, LeKevin Smith, Chris Baker
LB: (8 ) D.J. Williams, Robert Ayers, Jarvis Moss, Wesley Woodyard, Mario Haggan, Joe Mays, Jason Hunter, Elvis Dumervil
CB: (6) Champ Bailey, Andre Goodman, Perrish Cox, Alphonso Smith, Syd'Quan Thompson, Nate Jones
S: (4) Brian Dawkins, Renaldo Hill, Darcel McBath, David Bruton

ST: (3) Matt Prater, Britton Colquitt, Lonnie Paxton

Suspended: LenDale White

~
Close Calls:
Brady Quinn
Seth Olsen
Eric Olsen
Baraka Atkins

CT Bronco Fan
08-30-2010, 07:06 PM
Fargas cut, lol

Timbathia
08-30-2010, 09:15 PM
i'm all in for keeping thompson around. and even in his limited action tonight, alphonso was bound and determined to prove he doesn't have any business holding a roster spot in this league.

on the other hand, it should be blindingly obvious that tebow's throwing motion won't ever change, given that he actually regressed from the first game.

i'm a little upset about ball having a few good runs. he's not final roster material (yes, i get the injury thing), but now he'll probably end up making it. to be fair, though, i'd rather keep him than lendale/fargas.

kyle orton... y'all were right. i hadn't had a chance to actually see him throwing, but his arm looks a million times better.

impressive catch aside, brandon lloyd needs to be cut. i don't like his routes. i don't trust his hands. i think he's a douchebag on the field. i could go on.

sad to say, but outside of ayers, our linebackers were garbage. dj williams was/is absolutely horrible. he has no idea what to do in a zone, his first step is wrong on 97% of the snaps he's in for. **** shanahan for ruining one of the best WLBs in the league.

I think Lendale stays. The short yardage thing is too important a facet of the game that knowshon and buck just arent suited for. On that - I liked the push the o-line got on the 2-yd rushing td. Especially Walton, which is encouraging.

Diehard
08-30-2010, 09:38 PM
Here is my projected 53 man roster.

Comments:

QB - I'd *like* to see Quinn get cut, but coaches always seem to feel the need to have a vet backup, even if he sucks donkey balls like Quinn/Simms.

WR - I'm not sure Stokely will make it. 6 WR's is just fine, particularly if the return game is in the hands of the DB's

OL - I think Hochstein could be in trouble. Daniels wasn't too bad vs Pitt and Hochstein hasn't been getting much of a push in the running game. I think they are taking a very close look at Russ... it will be interesting to see what happens in the last preseason game.

DB - you've got Nate Jones on the list but also a "close call". If we only carry 9 DB's, I think he's gone

Diehard
08-30-2010, 09:51 PM
sad to say, but outside of ayers, our linebackers were garbage.

I don't think it was *that* bad, but yes, there was some awful tackling by the LB corps.

dj williams was/is absolutely horrible. he has no idea what to do in a zone, his first step is wrong on 97% of the snaps he's in for. **** shanahan for ruining one of the best WLBs in the league.

I still think DJ would thrive as a WOLB in a 4-3. His game is all about pursuit. Playing inside exposes his lack of football instincts/IQ.

IMO, we need a real field general *and* a big thumper inside. Wouldn't be surprised if we picked up multiple inside guys in the next draft.

CT Bronco Fan
08-30-2010, 10:14 PM
Comments:

QB - I'd *like* to see Quinn get cut, but coaches always seem to feel the need to have a vet backup, even if he sucks donkey balls like Quinn/Simms.

WR - I'm not sure Stokely will make it. 6 WR's is just fine, particularly if the return game is in the hands of the DB's

OL - I think Hochstein could be in trouble. Daniels wasn't too bad vs Pitt and Hochstein hasn't been getting much of a push in the running game. I think they are taking a very close look at Russ... it will be interesting to see what happens in the last preseason game.

DB - you've got Nate Jones on the list but also a "close call". If we only carry 9 DB's, I think he's gone

Ah yea, I added him back because of Fargas getting cut.

I could see Hochstien getting cut if they wanted to go with one of the Olsens for sure. I think Quinn likely will make it, but I can't justify putting him on my roster lol.

CT Bronco Fan
09-02-2010, 10:42 PM
My final shot at this after tonights game.

Cuts: Blue = Practice Squad

DL Ben Garland
DL Jeff Stehle
LB Worrell Williams
LB Kevin Alexander
LB Jammie Kirlew
LB Johnny Williams
OL D`Anthony Batiste
OL Seth Olsen
S Kyle McCarthy
TE Rair Greer
TE Nathan Overbay
TE Kory Sperry
WR Alric Arnett
WR Britt Davis
RB Bruce Hall
LB Baraka Atkins
DL Marcus Thomas
OL Ross Hochstien
CB Nate Jones

Final Roster:
QB: (3) Kyle Orton, Tim Tebow, Brady Quinn
HB: (3) Knowshon Moreno, Correll Buckhalter, Lance Ball
FB: (1) Spencer Larsen
WR: (7) Brandon Lloyd, Jabar Gaffney, Eddie Royal, Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker, Brandon Stokley, Matthew Willis
TE: (3) Daniel Graham, Richard Quinn, Marquez Branson
OL: (8 ) Ryan Clady, Zane Beadles, J.D. Walton, Chris Kuper, Ryan Harris, Paul Duncan, Stanley Daniels, Eric Olsen

DL: (7) Justin Bannan, Jamal Williams, Ryan McBean, Jarvis Green, Ronald Fields, LeKevin Smith, Chris Baker
LB: (8 ) D.J. Williams, Mario Haggan, Robert Ayers, Jarvis Moss, Wesley Woodyard, Joe Mays, Jason Hunter, Elvis Dumervil
CB: (6) Champ Bailey, Andre Goodman, Perrish Cox, Alphonso Smith, Syd`Quan Thompson, Cassius Vaughn
S: (4) Brian Dawkins, Renaldo Hill, David Bruton, Darcel McBath

ST: (3) Matt Prater, Britton Colquitt, Lonnie Paxton

Injury Reserve:
Darrell Reid

Suspended Reserve:
LenDale White

Timbathia
09-03-2010, 06:54 PM
as much as i think lendale is garbage (hard for me to admit about a guy i almost played against in high school), i hope we drop smith for him, based on your chart (which looks like a fairly good estimation to me).

i had warmed to lendale as well - guess it doesnt matter anymore with that achilles injury.

CT Bronco Fan
09-03-2010, 09:00 PM
Looks like Dumervil might end up on IR, which would then probably open the spot up for Baraka Atkins on the roster.

Diehard
09-03-2010, 11:34 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Roster-Trimmed-to-65/438ae867-28a8-4398-9f6e-2a25f1086951

Wide receiver Alric Arnett, defensive lineman Chris Baker, offensive lineman Paul Duncan, linebackers Jammie Kirlew and Johnny Williams and tight ends Kory Sperry and Nathan Overbay were waived on Friday.

Nothing too surprising there. Baker is probably the most notable casualty as many thought he was a steal as a UDFA.

Diehard
09-04-2010, 12:07 PM
I've seen/heard reports that Darrell Reid has been cut, but I don't have a source link. He was out of the picture with an injury anyway, so that's not much of a loss.

Ah, here's a link:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/39005371/ns/sports-player_news/

CT Bronco Fan
09-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Jarvis Green and Brandon Stokley cut.

Stokley doesn't shock me all that much, but Green getting cut I didn't see coming at all.

Diehard
09-04-2010, 02:19 PM
Green couldn't win a starting spot in the 3-man front. IMO, once we brought in Hunter who can play with his hand down in a 4-man front, Green became expendable.

I always felt Stokely was in trouble. We've got plenty of young talent at WR, and with the return duties probably covered by DB's, 6 receivers is plenty

I also saw somewhere that Britt Davis was cut, but no confirmation yet. Other rumor was that Branson is going on IR... which would leave us very thin at TE.