PDA

View Full Version : Denver Broncos Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13

ChiFan24
09-04-2010, 03:26 PM
Honest to god, I had a dream last night that Alphonso Smith got cut and McDaniels was fired almost immediately after. Which is weird, since I don't even really care about the Broncos besides my man Orton. So half of that came true. Just thought I'd share that.

Diehard
09-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Honest to god, I had a dream last night that Alphonso Smith got cut and McDaniels was fired almost immediately after. Which is weird, since I don't even really care about the Broncos besides my man Orton. So half of that came true. Just thought I'd share that.

He was traded, not cut, though I believe he would've been cut if it came down to that.

Kid's got plenty of talent, but seemed lost out there. Hope he gets with the program in Detroit, otherwise it will be game over for him.

Diehard
09-04-2010, 03:59 PM
Branson was cut, not IR'd:

http://twitter.com/postbroncos

Also:

Other players cut: LB Kevin Alexander, WR Britt Davis, TE Riar Geer, S Kyle McCarthy, OL Seth Olsen, DL Jeff Stehle, LB Worrell Williams

There also seems to be some confusion about whether Stokely was cut or on IR.

Diehard
09-04-2010, 04:26 PM
I suspect more changes are to come... Hall seems like a placeholder for whatever RB we pick up from the discard pile.

QB (3) - Orton, Tebow, Quinn

RB (5) - Moreno, Buckhalter, Ball, Hall, Larsen [FB]

TE (3) - Graham, Quinn, Gronkowski

WR (6) - Royal, Gaffney, Lloyd, Willis, Decker, Thomas

OL (9) - Clady, Harris, Batiste, Kuper, Beadles, Walton, Daniels, Hochstein, E. Olsen

DL (6) - Bannan, McBean, Smith, J. Williams, Fields, Thomas

LB (8 ) - D.J. Williams, Haggan, Woodyard, Mays, Ayers, Moss, Hunter, Atkins

DB (10) - Dawkins, Hill, McBath, Bruton, Bailey, Goodman, Cox, Thompson, Vaughn, Jones

ST (3) - Paxton, Prater, Colquitt

CT Bronco Fan
09-04-2010, 04:36 PM
Final Roster:

QB: (3) Kyle Orton, Tim Tebow, Brady Quinn
RB: (4) Knowshon Moreno, Correll Buckhalter, Lance Ball, Bruce Hall
FB: (1) Spencer Larsen
WR: (6) Brandon Lloyd, Jabar Gaffney, Eddie Royal, Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker, Matthew Willis
TE: (3) Daniel Graham, Richard Quinn, Dan Gronkowski
OL: (9) Ryan Clady, Zane Beadles, J.D. Walton, Chris Kuper, Ryan Harris, Stanley Daniels, Russ Hochstien, Eric Olsen, D`Anthony Batiste

DL: (6) Justin Bannan, Jamal Williams, Ryan McBean, LeKevin Smith, Marcus Thomas, Ronald Fields
LB: (8 ) D.J. Williams, Robert Ayers, Mario Haggan, Jarvis Moss, Wesley Woodyard, Joe Mays, Jason Hunter, Baraka Atkins
CB: (6) Champ Bailey, Andre Goodman, Perish Cox, Nate Jones, Syd`Quan Thompson, Cassius Vaughn
S: (4) Brian Dawkins, Renaldo Hill, Darcel McBath, David Bruton

ST: (3) Matt Prater, Britton Colquitt, Lonnie Paxton.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
09-04-2010, 04:39 PM
Stupid broncos. As if we gave up a first for a guy who is off the tea one year later.

ChiFan24
09-04-2010, 04:45 PM
He was traded, not cut, though I believe he would've been cut if it came down to that.

Are you calling my dream a liar?

edit: I will say though, I always thought Smith would be a nice fit with Schwartz, he's got some Pacman in him, he's just completely failed to show it.

Timbathia
09-04-2010, 08:31 PM
What I really like from these roster cuts is that McDaniels seems able to accept when he makes a bad decision and can move on from it. I think one of Broncosland's big fears was that he was too arrogant for his own good - but I think this proves he is not.

Now, we just need someone to help him with his first round picks, and we should be okay (cause the later round ones seem okay).

Diehard
09-05-2010, 12:42 PM
Stupid broncos. As if we gave up a first for a guy who is off the tea one year later.

He was expendable because of good drafting this time around. Win some, lose some.

CT Bronco Fan
09-05-2010, 02:51 PM
Broncos claimed Andre Brown off of waivers from the Giants.

This likely will mean Hall/Ball one of them will be cut.

NY+Giants=NYG
09-05-2010, 03:41 PM
Broncos claimed Andre Brown off of waivers from the Giants.

This likely will mean Hall/Ball one of them will be cut.

Brown is a good get! We thought we could sneak him thru waivers and then sign him to our PS. But since you guys need RBs, I think Brown, if developed can be a good player.

AntoinCD
09-06-2010, 05:37 AM
hooray for losing alphonso smith. but for yet another garbage tight end? really?

If he's even half the player his brother is then the Broncos got themselves a Hall of Famer

Diehard
09-06-2010, 09:54 PM
I just heard on the radio that Harris will be out for a few weeks with a sprained ankle. Great player, unfortunately he seems to be made of glass.

Overall, the injury situation is just brutal and we haven't played a down in a real game yet. Not encouraging.

Timbathia
09-06-2010, 11:09 PM
I just heard on the radio that Harris will be out for a few weeks with a sprained ankle. Great player, unfortunately he seems to be made of glass.

Overall, the injury situation is just brutal and we haven't played a down in a real game yet. Not encouraging.

Starting a rookie center, rookie RT and a journeyman LG does seem a tad worrying, especially when you factor in our LT will be starting off the season less than 100% fit. I hope Graham is healthy, cause I think he may be spending a lot time standing next to Zane on sunday.

Smooth Criminal
09-07-2010, 12:01 AM
Any news about Moreno? I havn't heard anything since he didn't play the last preseason game. Is he supposed to start and take most of the carries?

Timbathia
09-07-2010, 01:50 AM
most of the carries? seems pretty unlikely. get 5-10 carries? possibly. though his last quote (something along the lines of "i dunno, it's my hamstring, i may decide i can play on sunday or i may not" [yes, i editorialized slightly]) didn't seem highly encouraging. i'd sit him unless you don't have anything else.

I am having scary thoughts about a preseason opener in 90 degree heat where MJD runs for 200 yards, we get beat by about 20 points, and we lose both Clady and Moreno for half the season after re-aggravating their injuries.

I hope it is just preseason jitters.

ThePudge
09-07-2010, 11:31 AM
How much action does Eric Decker expect to see this year? I thought that was the Broncos best pick of the last draft & a guy who could hold down a starting role there.

Timbathia
09-07-2010, 04:55 PM
How much action does Eric Decker expect to see this year? I thought that was the Broncos best pick of the last draft & a guy who could hold down a starting role there.

It is a really excellent question. I dont think any of us really know how the receivers will get used early on, apart from Gaffney being there every down. The coaches seem willing to give Lloyd a chance, and Royal should start in the slot. Willis and Decker have been great in the preseason though. I get the feeling that there will be a lot of rotations until it sorts itself out.

The Unseen
09-12-2010, 03:32 PM
Good game y'all. Brandon Lloyd is a manbeast.

Cunningham
09-12-2010, 05:07 PM
god ******* dammit. another season opener, another flight to new york. so glad i'm here in time to watch the bloody packers/eagles game, instead.

looks like our rushing game, outside of one carry by moreno, was still useless. looks like our linebackers were garbage (though they held mjd to <100, lewis looks like he ate them up in the red zone). but on the plus side, it looks like royal played a big part in the offense... orton looks to have played well?

anything i'm missing?
that's pretty much the gist of it.

royal and ayers both looked better today than they did all of last season. our offensive line provided little push, not a huge surprise considering we had three guys starting their first ever game.

definitely a disappointing loss, especially since the things we struggled with today were the same things that stung us last season. i'm still pretty optimistic about the season. the running game should improve when we get harris back and as our young guys become better adjusted to playing at this level. i don't see us repeating a lot of the stupid **** we did either, e.g. buck's fumble, mcbean's two facemask calls within a minute of each other, quinn looking lost and forcing orton to waste a timeout...

Timbathia
09-12-2010, 06:42 PM
that's pretty much the gist of it.

royal and ayers both looked better today than they did all of last season. our offensive line provided little push, not a huge surprise considering we had three guys starting their first ever game.

definitely a disappointing loss, especially since the things we struggled with today were the same things that stung us last season. i'm still pretty optimistic about the season. the running game should improve when we get harris back and as our young guys become better adjusted to playing at this level. i don't see us repeating a lot of the stupid **** we did either, e.g. buck's fumble, mcbean's two facemask calls within a minute of each other, quinn looking lost and forcing orton to waste a timeout...

Important aspects of the game

Opening drive:
third and 1 at the Jags 18 - holding call on Beadles
third and 11 - Orton sacked for -8 yards (line let everyone through)
4th down - punt instead of FG because of the above.

third drive:
second and 6 at the Jags 32 - Buck runs for 7 yards to get the first down and fumbles

Score was still 0-0 at this stage and we were totally dominating the game.

Jax had 4 scoring drives - 3 were set up by a punt or kickoff return that started their drive close to the halfway line, while the other one had two face masks to help them along the way. Most of our drives all day started inside our 30 (and a few inside the ten). Special teams were not special at all.

The defense was okay, but no turnovers and nowhere near enough pressure on Garrard (especially compared to what they got on Orton).

Orton looked awesome when he had time - the o-line leaked badly most of the game. Considering we were in the redzone 3 times with no points, we should have won this game.

Diehard
09-12-2010, 08:20 PM
We're starting this season with a bad combination of injuries and rookies holding down starting jobs. The OL is the most impacted - 3 first time starters, Clady is still a work in progress, Harris is out and Kuper got dinged up again. Given that both our decent RB's also missed most of camp with injuries, it's a ******* miracle Moreno got the yards he did on the ground.

On defense, I'm concerned about Dawkins in the passing game. He looked bad out there at times. McBath could cover this responsibility, but of course he's injured. McBean's double facemask **** was unacceptable and IMO had a big impact on the outcome of the game. The DL as a whole needs to provide more pressure up front and play with discipline.

Special team coverage was hideous. As always. It's getting pretty ******* old.

The good: Orton (apart from the final series), WR's, Ayers, Prater

Jimmy
09-12-2010, 08:28 PM
god ******* dammit. another season opener, another flight to new york. so glad i'm here in time to watch the bloody packers/eagles game, instead.

looks like our rushing game, outside of one carry by moreno, was still useless. looks like our linebackers were garbage (though they held mjd to <100, lewis looks like he ate them up in the red zone). but on the plus side, it looks like royal played a big part in the offense... orton looks to have played well?

anything i'm missing?

^ at least we didn't win ^
now we can't have a late season collapse

09-12-2010, 08:53 PM
^ at least we didn't win ^
now we can't have a late season collapse

We'll find a way...

09-12-2010, 08:55 PM
Also I didn't get to watch, but I'm pretty sure I saw the one good run by Knowshon that he talked about. And damn is he slow. Like he looked like a high school RB. Zero explosion on that. WTF.

Timbathia
09-12-2010, 09:43 PM
Also I didn't get to watch, but I'm pretty sure I saw the one good run by Knowshon that he talked about. And damn is he slow. Like he looked like a high school RB. Zero explosion on that. WTF.

This is sort of true, but in his defense there were never any actual holes for him to hit at full speed. It pretty much looked like he had to hesitate for a second when he got the ball to try and figure out where (if anywhere) a hole was going to open up. The ZBS was much better for backs to just hit holes at full speed.

I know njx wont believe me, but I thought DJ actually looked pretty good out there today. He did some nice things in coverage, showed good speed in limiting damage once the back got past the line, and even blew up MJD on the 4th and inches by actually anticipating where the play was going to be and getting there on time. It is refreshing to see that our top 4 tacklers were the 4 linebackers, as opposed to it normally being our safeties and corners leading the count. The only downside is Mario looks pretty slow out there, and cant cover for ****.

Diehard
09-13-2010, 10:06 AM
i don't *not* believe you, but i have a hard time believing you. =P

LOL. I can confirm what Tim is saying - DJ played pretty well. He and Ayers were the bright spots on the defense.

As an aside, I went back and watching some parts of the game again and noticed that, at times, the defense had a hard time getting lined up. There seemed to be some confusion on who was supposed to go where, even on the part of savvy veterans like Dawkins. Working out that kind of stuff is the purpose of TC / preseason, but apparently between the slew of injuries and the extra rest given to the old timers, the D is still very much a work in progress.

Timbathia
09-13-2010, 05:53 PM
LOL. I can confirm what Tim is saying - DJ played pretty well. He and Ayers were the bright spots on the defense.

As an aside, I went back and watching some parts of the game again and noticed that, at times, the defense had a hard time getting lined up. There seemed to be some confusion on who was supposed to go where, even on the part of savvy veterans like Dawkins. Working out that kind of stuff is the purpose of TC / preseason, but apparently between the slew of injuries and the extra rest given to the old timers, the D is still very much a work in progress.

Did you see what happened on the first TD to Lewis (I think the first). The one where Vickerson ran off right before it was snapped? Did we have ten men on the field? It seemed like no-one on the defense had a clue what the **** was going on in that play.

Cunningham
09-13-2010, 06:08 PM
Did you see what happened on the first TD to Lewis (I think the first). The one where Vickerson ran off right before it was snapped? Did we have ten men on the field? It seemed like no-one on the defense had a clue what the **** was going on in that play.
yep, definitely had ten men on the field.

this is a team that, given the general lack of proven playmakers, can ill-afford to make those kinds of mistakes. hopefully there won't be too many games this season where we beat ourselves....otherwise it will be a long year

Diehard
09-14-2010, 11:34 AM
i'm stoked to hear that our defense had no idea what was going on. it makes me really happy that we pushed nolan out. god forbid our players, after a major transition (43 to 34), have enough time in one version of the system to actually learn it.

As an aside, McD said that he would've run the 4-3 if there pieces were there, but since they had to start from pretty much scratch anyway, they chose to go with the 3-4.

It speaks volumes that at the end of Shanahan's tenure, we didn't have the personnel needed for *any* NFL defensive scheme. Simply mindboggling.

CT Bronco Fan
09-14-2010, 04:25 PM
Broncos acquired RB Laurence Maroney and a 6th round pick from the Patriots for a 4th round pick.

Diehard
09-14-2010, 04:58 PM
it is sad, and i sort of agree. we had a will in the 43 and a rush in the 34, and jack **** else in the front seven. seems like so long ago (though, i guess 12 years is a long time) since we had alfred williams, neil smith, trevor pryce and robert traylor dominating the LOS, and an actual competent linebacker group (romo and mobley) behind them. amazing to me how quickly shanahan lost it in the front office.

Not paying Berry or Hayward was the beginning of the downfall. It's hard to believe how shortsighted those moves were. Pass rushers are a precious commodity. We didn't replace them with anyone.

Since we're fondly reminiscing about the old days:

Broncos 2003 Draft

1 - George Foster, Georgia
2 - Terry Pierce, Kansas State
4 - Quentin Griffin, Oklahoma
4 - Nicholas Eason, Clemson
4 - Bryant McNeal, Clemson
5 - Ben Claxton, Mississippi
5 - Adrian Madise, Texas Christian
6 - Aaron Hunt, Texas Tech
7 - Clint Mitchell, Florida
7 - Ahmaad Galloway, Alabama

A thing of beauty, in a perverse, Bizarro-World kinda way...

Diehard
09-14-2010, 06:02 PM
are you ******* kidding me? a 4th round pick for that piece of garbage? he'll actually make our running game WORSE. god i ******* hate mcdaniels.

He knows the system and, at times, played well under McDaniels. I've got very mixed feelings about it. I wanted the Broncos to draft him back in 2006 instead of Cutler, but his injuries and fumbling in the NFL make it difficult to like this move.

Timbathia
09-14-2010, 06:17 PM
Not paying Berry or Hayward was the beginning of the downfall. It's hard to believe how shortsighted those moves were. Pass rushers are a precious commodity. We didn't replace them with anyone.

Since we're fondly reminiscing about the old days:

Broncos 2003 Draft

1 - George Foster, Georgia
2 - Terry Pierce, Kansas State
4 - Quentin Griffin, Oklahoma
4 - Nicholas Eason, Clemson
4 - Bryant McNeal, Clemson
5 - Ben Claxton, Mississippi
5 - Adrian Madise, Texas Christian
6 - Aaron Hunt, Texas Tech
7 - Clint Mitchell, Florida
7 - Ahmaad Galloway, Alabama

A thing of beauty, in a perverse, Bizarro-World kinda way...

I really liked Q - the kinda guy you want to succeed.

I had to google Terry Pierce. I cant for the life of me remember him even existing.

Timbathia
09-15-2010, 07:55 PM
Saw a quote from Xanders that I need to remember next time some knob in the general forum spouts off about how McDaniels ruined the Broncos when he took over from Shanny. It basically cites the fact that the Broncos released 32 players from the 2008 roster and practice squad that never again played in the NFL.

At least now when we release players someone else picks them up.

Cunningham
09-15-2010, 08:13 PM
Saw a quote from Xanders that I need to remember next time some knob in the general forum spouts off about how McDaniels ruined the Broncos when he took over from Shanny. It basically cites the fact that the Broncos released 32 players from the 2008 roster and practice squad that never again played in the NFL.

At least now when we release players someone else picks them up.
don't tell that to shiver. he doesn't care

Cunningham
09-15-2010, 09:27 PM
i still have never understood why everyone thought dumping shanahan was the best possible move for denver. sure, it sucked losing a great qb and a great wr. but we were *never* going to be better than 9-7/10-6 with him around.
did you mean to say you never understood why everyone thought dumping shanahan was the worst possible move?

Timbathia
09-19-2010, 07:03 PM
so i think i finally understand why moreno sucks. dude has the worst vision of any starting running back i've ever seen. the 2nd and goal play in the 2nd quarter? makes a terrible cutback to run into the 4 defenders who were standing there waiting. the long screen pass? makes a horrendous cut to avoid going all the way. dude has absolutely no idea where to run to.

on the other hand, i ******* love thomas. if he can keep this up, i won't even remember brandon marshall's name in two months.

I am excited and completely disheartened at the same time.

I love how our passing offense played today. Great clock control to keep our lousy defense off the field, great third down conversion, Thomas looks awesome, Royal, Lloyd and Gaffney also look really good, and Orton is really playing well.

I still cant decide if our running game is Moreno and Bucks fault or not. I agree Know is missing yards that are available, but we really do a terrible job at opening things up for him. It seems to be play-calling more than execution, but it may be that both suck. Apparently we pass the ball to gain yards, and run it to eat up the clock and give players a rest.

It seems we cant cover punts, and have no ability to gain yards on punt returns. This is very concerning.

I had high hopes for the run defense being improved this year with the o-line additions. I also hoped that Ayers and Moss could at least look threatening in passing situations. I hoped that our defensive backs could play as well as last year. Turns out I was wrong on all accounts. Apparently teams can three and five- step drop us to death and we cant do anything to stop them.

I think that Hasselbecks play in the first half as well as that punt fumble had more to do with us winning that anything else. We appear to be a team that can be competitive with most, but really need the turnovers and penalties to go our way if we are going to win.

Diehard
09-19-2010, 08:20 PM
Our running game wasn't bad today. The stats tell a bit of a lie, as we had some awful runs at the end when it really didn't matter anymore.

We did take a few significant hits in the backfield, though, where there were multiple Seattle players on the RB immediately after the handoff. That should not happen. I'll chalk that up to the OL still being a patchwork unit.

I was encouraged by our interior tandem of Daniels and Walton, though - on that first rushing TD Daniels handled his guy effectively and then Walton blasted the LB deep into the endzone.

The simple fact is this is a passing team. The old Erhardt-Perkins mantra of "pass to score, run to win" is in full effect. And why not? We've got a great stable of receivers and even our current makeshift line is quite capable of pass blocking.

My main concern is still the front seven, particularly the interior play. We really have no difference makers up front right now. One impact DL and/or LB would make a huge difference.

Me Likey Rookies
09-20-2010, 02:48 AM
Royal and DT looked awesome.

Champ might be out for Indy which has to be really scary...

phlysac
09-21-2010, 06:31 PM
You guys signed Diyral Briggs to your PS today. I think you'll like his potential. I think he could have a legit shot at seeing time on your 53 if he continues to show as he had with the 49ers this offseason.

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/8373/diyralbriggs.jpg

Timbathia
09-21-2010, 10:21 PM
You guys signed Diyral Briggs to your PS today. I think you'll like his potential. I think he could have a legit shot at seeing time on your 53 if he continues to show as he had with the 49ers this offseason.

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/8373/diyralbriggs.jpg

what more can you tell us? seems he is a pass-rushing linebacker, but is a liability against the run, or in coverage???

gpngc
09-22-2010, 11:46 PM
Moreno doesn't look like he's improved at all? I know it's only a highlight, but I never saw that kind of explosiveness from him on the screen pass before. Thomas made a heck of a play to backpedal and wrap him up to prevent 6...

?

Timbathia
09-23-2010, 01:04 AM
I am still not convinced how much is his fault and how much is the play-calling/o-line. You look at a guy like Foster in Houston, or any of the old Broncos backs in the Shanny days who were successful straight away - all they are told to do is grab the football and as soon as you see a cutback lane hit it as hard as you can.

this power **** we are playing right now, with o-lineman that are far from dominant in power run blocking, is not that simple. I see Moreno get panned for not hitting holes hard enough, and I see him getting panned for not being patient enough, and I see him getting panned for not having the vision to see the right holes. This is not the Broncos ZBS where the holes look like the entry to the eisenhower tunnel - I think it is just more a case of the holes are never in the same place or time when we run the same play, and they are never that big. I dont doubt that some of this is in his head as well, as he is probably over-thinking things rather than just trusting his instincts, but I think writing him off is not fair.

There were a couple of nice plays, especially early on sunday, and I thought he looked good. He is never going to be a breakaway game-changer, but he had some good 5 -10 yard runs that is exactly what we need (as well as the screen pass plays). After that, it seemed he was getting hit in the backfield more often than not. He needs to better, and it would be nice if he was quite a lot better - but a good portion of that will come IMO with the o-line getting healthy, better and more experienced (in the case of JD and Zane).

Timbathia
09-24-2010, 04:30 PM
Now Moreno is out this week against the Colts. This year is turning into a ******* disaster injury wise. Oh well njx, it looks like we get to see this week how bad Maroney is.

I am also starting to think we will soon be in the market for a RT - Harris just looks like he will become one of those guys that never stays healthy.

phlysac
09-26-2010, 08:22 AM
what more can you tell us? seems he is a pass-rushing linebacker, but is a liability against the run, or in coverage???

He has limited experience at both. He was barely over 230lbs last season when he was signed as a UDFA out of Bowling Green. He was a speed rusher ONLY. He has since bulked up to over 250 and is getting more comfortable in space. He has improved dramatically in coverage. He even had an interception this preseason. He still is inconsistent setting the edge in the run game as he has yet to get comfortable with his added strength. He is far from a safe bet to ever make an impact but if he continues to improve as he has the past year, I see no reason he shouldn't, at least, become a serviceable 3-4 OLB reserve.

Timbathia
09-26-2010, 06:55 PM
he's totally going to run for 180/3 and then i'll have to root for him.

how about 20 odd yards on 12 carries, with 3 attempts for zero yards at the one?

I hate our ******* run game.

How do we pass for 476 yards for 1 TD?

Now we go off to get smashed on two very hard road games.

Diehard
09-26-2010, 07:42 PM
Poor execution cost us the game, pure and simple. The fumbled return, INT and firing blanks in the end zone were the architects of defeat.

Cunningham
09-26-2010, 11:26 PM
**** off, maroney

bigbluedefense
09-27-2010, 09:54 AM
So like...Peyton Hillis is better than any RB you have on the roster.

09-27-2010, 10:17 AM
So like...Peyton Hillis is better than any RB you have on the roster.

We know :(

Also I just looked at the schedule, and odds are we are 1-5 before going to London. Faaaaaantastic.

PoopSandwich
09-28-2010, 10:55 AM
I know some of you guys were pissed about the Broncos trading Hillis, but did he look this good when he was with you guys? I saw some stats and whatever and I know you're RB situation wasn't the greatest, I just don't get why the Broncos would trade him if he showed ANY of what he is showing right now with us with you guys...

Not trying to be a dick, I'm just wondering.

EDIT : I didn't even read the posts before mine didn't even know people were already talking about him.

Diehard
09-28-2010, 11:06 AM
I know some of you guys were pissed about the Broncos trading Hillis, but did he look this good when he was with you guys? I saw some stats and whatever and I know you're RB situation wasn't the greatest, I just don't get why the Broncos would trade him if he showed ANY of what he is showing right now with us with you guys...

Because he ****** up repeatedly while learning the new offense, which put him in McD's doghouse pretty quickly.

jCut
10-02-2010, 02:17 AM
so i think i finally understand why moreno sucks. dude has the worst vision of any starting running back i've ever seen.

Dude also has toothpick-legs.

CT Bronco Fan
10-02-2010, 10:01 PM

EDIT : I didn't even read the posts before mine didn't even know people were already talking about him.

He looked quite good in the few starts he got a few years ago under Shanny.

He quickly got into McD's doghouse though, and basically he traded him away for nothing (read Brady Quinn lol)

I like the guy, and hoping he has a monster year for the Browns.

TitanHope
10-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Good game guys. :(

Diehard
10-03-2010, 04:08 PM
Good game guys. :(

Thanks bro. I was thinking it would be a close game, but I didn't expect it to be quite that tight.

I was somwhat surprised we held your running game in check other than the big run by Ringer. That allowed us to make the adjustment to bring Dawkins as the blitzer/spy on Young to shut down the bootleg action when it really counted.

TitanHope
10-03-2010, 04:25 PM
CJ is sucking. I'm mad at him.

But yeah, it was an awesome game though. I'd go from jumping with joy, to screaming in frustration, to complete apathy every other play.

I wish they would've been more aggressive with VY and the passing game. Ya'll were swarming the run, we only had a 4 point lead, and typical Fisherball, then run-run-run. VY's been playing well. Why they choose to handcuff him, thus making the offense predictable, blows my mind.

But yeah, it's good to see Orton have success. Chris and Njx are mah boys, so if we have to lose, it can be to you guys. Looks like McDaniels found a guy who fits what he wants to do well in Brandon Lloyd. That's what I don't get with McDaniels: Why not just pickup the FA guys who fit your scheme like Lloyd and be so proactive and make silly trades for the likes of Maroney, Quinn, etc? That's what Fisher, Cecil, and DL Coach Jim Washburn do on DEF. Ya'll saw guys on DEF like Tony Brown, Dave Ball, and Jason Babin? All were vet FA's we got at rock bottom prices and they're awesome now. McDaniels should do that on offense for ya'll, but it seems like he wants to be the smartest person in the room. I dunno...

Hopefully ya'll keep with Buckhalter. Maroney is just a clinic on futility. I think Demaryius Thomas will end up being a good player though. He may not be heavily involved in the offense yet, but when I've seen him this year, I thought he looked fluid. Kid's an athlete.

Diehard
10-03-2010, 07:58 PM
But yeah, it was an awesome game though. I'd go from jumping with joy, to screaming in frustration, to complete apathy every other play.

I know what you mean. My 2 year old son was napping on my lap, which was the only thing that stopped me from jumping up in disgust / joy a dozen or more times...

I wish they would've been more aggressive with VY and the passing game.

I was wondering about that. Our pass rush sucked and if you had a more downfield passing attack, it could've really hurt us.

Why they choose to handcuff him, thus making the offense predictable, blows my mind.

Trust is earned, not given? At times during the 2nd half it seemed like they were concerned more about *not* giving up a turnover than taking shots to move the ball downfield.

Looks like McDaniels found a guy who fits what he wants to do well in Brandon Lloyd.

Yeah, he's really been a revelation this year. He's always been capable of a highlight reel play, but he was so inconsistent and really played like utter **** at times. Orton said something in the offseason about Lloyd learning humility over the past few years when he was a bottom feeder on the depth chart. Maybe that's what he needed.

McDaniels should do that on offense for ya'll, but it seems like he wants to be the smartest person in the room. I dunno...

McD has done a decent job on defense in that respect, but you're right, his offensive moves have been hit or miss. I think Maroney is very much a bandaid for what has been a very tough offseason/early season for our RB's. We needed someone we could plug in who knew the system, and Maroney was one of the few guys out there who fit the bill.

Timbathia
10-03-2010, 11:24 PM
We really just keep repeating the same **** in here every week.

passing game and orton look awesome, except in the red zone.

run game is horrible (though perhaps horrible is a generous term).

Run def is better than expected - Ayers is really starting to play well.

Pass rush is non-existent. (side-note - if Doom was healthy we would actually have a quite good defense. DJ is also playing okay right now, so if we can find a good ILB from somewhere and Doom comes back as his old self next year...........)

special teams is still awful at coverage.

another game where we play well enough for it to be decided by a few big plays. i think we need to get used to this, as we arent good enough to dominate anyone, but most of the time are good enough to not get dominated by anyone.

Jimmy
10-05-2010, 10:06 AM
run game is horrible (though perhaps horrible is a generous term).

Peyton Hillis *clap* *clap* *clap-clap-clap*

Jimmy
10-10-2010, 02:32 PM
this may be one of the strangest feeling games ive ever watched.

i feel like our offense is playing great despite the inability to run, yet we have 10 points and are down by 2 scores. i can't explain it. and the defense isn't even playing that atrociously, baltimore is just murdering us with situational runs.

Timbathia
10-10-2010, 05:07 PM
Nothing to talk about that we didnt already know. Almost like a bye this week.

Diehard
10-11-2010, 02:46 PM
The injury situation is ridiculous:

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/five-defenders-out/

Robert Ayers, Brian Dawkins, Andre’ Goodman, Darcel McBath and Wesley Woodyard will miss Sunday’s home game against the Jets due to injury, Head Coach Josh McDaniels announced Monday.

Seriously, WTF? It was bad enough loosing Doom and having the backs and veteran OL banged up to start the season. Now the defense is completely in ruins.

I think Sunday will be a good day to get caught up on the yard work...

Timbathia
10-11-2010, 07:35 PM
Broken foot for Ayers too. The talk is he is out for the rest of the season. We are seriously ******.

We may as well treat this week as a bye, concede the game and rest a bunch of key players for the Raiders game the week after.

Diehard
10-11-2010, 10:08 PM
figures, that's the game i bought tickets for.

at least i won't feel bad about getting hammered in the parking lot before the game.

LOL. I wonder if this orange pep rally thing they just announced was always on the schedule or if it is a direct response to the ****** Balt game + injuries. It certainly smells like a desperation ploy to me.

Timbathia
10-11-2010, 11:27 PM
What chance do you think we use a 4-3 this week?

Timbathia
10-12-2010, 03:58 PM
can't imagine there's any chance. we were bad enough last year with 3-4 personnel twho didn't know what they were doing. i can only imagine how ugly it would be to see 3-4 personnel trying to figure out a 4-3. especially since i don't think our defensive coach has any real idea how to run one.

True, though I heard in the offseason we were using some 4-3 stuff in practice. Thought since about the only healthy position we have these days in the d-line, it might be better that starting two practice squad OLBs in a 3-4.

Timbathia
10-12-2010, 04:50 PM
heh, i figure they might as well just start holding tryouts. some local folks really couldn't be much worse than the crap we've been trotting out there (ayers as an exception, as little as i want to admit it).

I hate it when you reach the point of the season when your attention starts focusing towards next year.

I just dont see how we can fix the running game this season, and with no prospect of Doom or Ayers being back this season, I dont see how the defense can be solid enough to keep us in games against anyone that is not especially crap.

Diehard
10-12-2010, 05:15 PM
McD mentioned the 4-3 when he was on Sirus earlier. I guess they've been working on it, probably starting around the time Doom went down.

McD also pretty much admitted the Jets game is particularly important to the team, so don't be surprised if they come out swinging even if it is a somewhat hopeless cause given our current plague of injuries.

D-Unit
10-16-2010, 12:02 PM
PM me if interested in being the GM of your team in our forum mock!

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43261

Diehard
10-17-2010, 06:22 PM
Goddamn it. We overcame a ******** of adversity to almost win that game, then got dumped on by the football gods. What a bunch of ******* ****.

Timbathia
10-17-2010, 06:50 PM
Goddamn it. We overcame a ******** of adversity to almost win that game, then got dumped on by the football gods. What a bunch of ******* ****.

what is it about turning the ******* ball over in the first ******* quarter when we are in scoring position? **** me we are ******* hopeless in the ******* red ************* zone. ****!

Diehard
10-17-2010, 09:54 PM
Yes, the follies in enemy territory have gotten pretty old: Moreno's fumble, the buggered FG and that final failure of a snap that sealed the game. I'd rather have my eyes burned out that have to watch that **** again.

Our execution is total ******* garbage right now. The injuries are a big part of it, as we haven't had any consistency in personnel since the very beginning of training camp. Having to rely on rookies in key positions doesn't help either.

We absolutely have to beat the Raiders next week.

Diehard
10-17-2010, 11:02 PM
Speaking of playcalling, what happened to the screen and hitting the back in the flats? Some of the blitzes the Jets dialed up were so ******* obvious, yet we were still looking for the downfield pass.

As an aside, it looks to me all too often the hot read is the outside receiver in man-to-man. That can work, but then again that guy is *always* covered which means you aren't fully exploiting the holes in the blitzing coverage.

10-19-2010, 11:43 AM
3.8 for Tebow. Give the man the ball!!!!

Seriously though, it's annoying seeing how abysmal our running game is with how many runners we've had on this team that are enjoying moderate success elsewhere. Obviously Hillis, and Mike Bell was good last season. Our problems aren't the RBs, but the RBs clearly aren't helping either. I'm actually starting to come around on Moreno, but that's probably because he's surrounded by total **** and looks decent by comparison.

Actually statistically, he's surrounded by such **** that he doesn't even look decent by any measure other than comparison.

the decider13
10-21-2010, 11:05 AM
I'd be pretty sad if we ended up with Rudolph with a guy like Heyward still on the board.

Timbathia
10-21-2010, 05:19 PM
Agree - I have to believe that we can find a decent TE in FA easier and cheaper than we can find a playmaking defensive front 7 guy.

10-21-2010, 06:38 PM
I hate the idea of picking a TE. We essentially traded a first rounder for one before the season. Plus we traded away Tony Scheffler, who I was a big fan of. Not to mention, the passing offense is not even close to our problem right now. I can't think of a single good reason to draft Rudolph.

Which makes it the most likely option.

Timbathia
10-21-2010, 07:09 PM
I hate the idea of picking a TE. We essentially traded a first rounder for one before the season. Plus we traded away Tony Scheffler, who I was a big fan of. Not to mention, the passing offense is not even close to our problem right now. I can't think of a single good reason to draft Rudolph.

Which makes it the most likely option.

Add to that is if we pick up a TE early, it means that Quinn is regarded as a lost cause, which would pretty much make the 2009 draft as one of the worst ever.

Timbathia
10-23-2010, 04:22 AM
1-4 hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

who is 1-4? Are you the guy that is jealous because Orton >>>>> Kolb?

Diehard
10-24-2010, 03:40 PM
I'm done with this team.

Jimmy
10-24-2010, 04:04 PM
@Josh McDaniels-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g1KcOw7zas

Diehard
10-24-2010, 04:15 PM
Time for McD to get fired. Seriously. Lack of heart and discipline were some of the things that particularly bothered me about the end of Shanahan's tenure, and this game has all the same hallmarks.

If you give up when you get some bad breaks, then the team needs a big shakeup.

I wonder if Bill Parcells is willing to come and do one of his patented rebuild jobs?

Cunningham
10-24-2010, 04:35 PM
ffffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

RaiderNation
10-24-2010, 04:35 PM
Wtf happened to you guys???

Diehard
10-24-2010, 04:48 PM
Wtf happened to you guys???

Most of the Broncos players gave up after the fumble when we were down 14-0 already. That's when my TV went off - no point in me holding out hope when the team has already quit for the day.

49erNation85
10-24-2010, 06:08 PM
WHy the hell is Tebow not in the game yet ! I mean come on , your down so many points and Orton ain't doing **** . Bring in superman and let him try to run the offense and see wht he can do for crying out loud .

Diehard
10-24-2010, 06:11 PM
WHy the hell is Tebow not in the game yet ! I mean come on , your down so many points and Orton ain't doing **** . Bring in superman and let him try to run the offense and see wht he can do for crying out loud .

Probably because McD heard the fans booing and chanting for Tebow at the end of the first half.

I originally typed that in jest, but now, with a little more consideration, I think it might actually be the truth.

10-24-2010, 07:06 PM
because he's not ready? because he still can't throw? because he doesn't know the offense, beyond the idiotic half-spread **** mcdaniels keeps trying to run?

With the faith of a mustard seed, you can move mountains. So hopefully the faith of a Tim Tebow can move the Broncos offense.

CT Bronco Fan
10-25-2010, 08:26 AM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/ap/96/fullj.a030dadded260179b643065a51261ac7/b6148067086a4a92b9871b29e6ff4fe8.jpg

This picture summarizes most of my feelings toward McDaniels entire tenure as our head coach.

Diehard
10-25-2010, 11:42 AM
Interesting article:

http://www.denverpost.com/krieger/ci_16425206

Basically, his point is that there is a direct contradiction between what McD preaches (intelligence, physical play, mental toughness) and what is on display on the field (mental errors, focus on finesse passing, folding in the face of adversity).

jCut
10-26-2010, 11:55 AM
I throw whatever it takes at Cowher/Gruden/Billick (in that order) to be the head coach. Then, I shift Tebow to TE. Come draft day, I load up on lineman and draft a real heir to Orton. Maybe make a trade for a RB like DeAngelo Williams or Jonathan Stewart.

Timbathia
10-26-2010, 01:33 PM
I keep starting to comment on things, and then the nausea wave hits and I have to stop.

**** football, **** it right in the ass.

Cunningham
10-26-2010, 08:03 PM
all right, so this season is a complete loss. we finish at something around 6-10. pat bowlen executes xanders. then, he gets really drunk somewhere in Lodo, and throws up on your shoes. in an effort to make amends, he hires you as the GM and gives you complete player/personnel control, as well as control over the (new?) coaching staff.

what do you do?
-if the second half of the season resembles the first half in any way, shape or form, fire mcdaniels. there's no sense in bringing back a coach whose team has quit on him
-look to hire urban meyer if mcdaniels is fired. i'm probably in the minority here
-fire clancy barone and mike priefer. both are trash
-i have no idea who's in the upcoming free agent class so i'll leave this area open
-target marcell dareus in the draft, trade up for him if need be. dareus would be a cornerstone for the dline and for the defense as whole

Me Likey Rookies
10-27-2010, 08:00 PM
A new coach should get 3 years to build his team, especially when you completely rebuild it the way Josh McDaniels and Raheem Morris have done. 2-5 sucks but (close) losses to the Colts and Jets are understandable especially with all the injuries on both sides of the ball. On the other hand, the Ravens and Raiders (blowout) losses should never happen.

The second half of the schedule is way easier but even if they keep struggling, McD should get a 3rd year. Having Moreno, DT, Kuper, Harris, Doom, Ayers, Dawkins, Goodman all missing significant time is a huge reason for 2-5.

Timbathia
10-27-2010, 09:14 PM
A new coach should get 3 years to build his team, especially when you completely rebuild it the way Josh McDaniels and Raheem Morris have done. 2-5 sucks but (close) losses to the Colts and Jets are understandable especially with all the injuries on both sides of the ball. On the other hand, the Ravens and Raiders (blowout) losses should never happen.

The second half of the schedule is way easier but even if they keep struggling, McD should get a 3rd year. Having Moreno, DT, Kuper, Harris, Doom, Ayers, Dawkins, Goodman all missing significant time is a huge reason for 2-5.

I am going to agree with this. As much as last week has made me want to do anything I can to make me forget about the fact a football season is underway, it is too early to pull the plug on the Josh experiment just yet. He has made a ******** of mistakes, but has also shown enough promise to ride this one out.

What do we need? Some impact players on defense. If Doom and Ayers come back healthy next year, and from somewhere we get a quality MLB and D-lineman that can make plays, then I think we can be okay on that side of the ball. Healthy and especially more experienced o-line, then I think we are okay on that side of the ball. We arent strong enough on either side of the ball to carry the other one, so if one is depleted we get blown the **** out.

"I'm not sugarcoating this. I'm going to be as honest as can be and tell it to you straight. It's not Josh. I've never been more prepared as a player from a head coach. And I've been through five or six already. We knew when the screen play was coming. We just didn't stop it. We knew when it was run-toss and they were going to try to hit the edge. We just didn't stop it. It's not him. People may not understand that, but I'm telling you that's the way it is."

Broncos LB Mario Haggan responding to a suggestions that the Broncos didn't adequately prepare for the Raiders game

Timbathia
10-27-2010, 11:16 PM
i don't frankly care if they don't think it's josh. the entire ******* team quit in the first ******* quarter. that's the absolute hallmark of a poorly coached team. that's the kind of **** the raiders have done for the last 8 years.

though, i'm entertained by the idea that missing a barely #2 cb, a rb averaging 3.3 ypc, a rt who hasn't been healthy in 4 years, and an over the hill safety is why we're 2-5. this team is 2-5 because there isn't any talent at key positions and because the coaching (on both sides of the ball) is atrocious.

i see no reason whatsoever to give a guy an extra year to remove even more talent from the team and dig it even deeper into a hole. i see no reason to spend another 16 games watching a guy who couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag repeatedly call draw plays and screen passes that haven't worked once in the 2 years he's been calling them.

mcdaniels is, as far as i've seen, the worst coach in the nfl right now. period. sometimes, you just have to admit you're wrong, as a franchise.

And the poll on the Denverpost website about getting rid of Josh shows that 80% of respondents agree with you. I will not be upset in the slightest if he is fired, but, but, I am prepared to give him until the end of next season as I think what he is trying to do can work (not will mind you, but can). A new coach and system right not would be a ******* disaster with the roster we have.

Cunningham
10-27-2010, 11:30 PM
let's say that mcdaniels is fired and we don't hire a big name such as gruden or cowher for whatever reason. any good alternatives in that situation?

Diehard
10-28-2010, 06:11 PM
Clean out all the executives. Joe Ellis is a cockface. Xanders is a piece of ****. Bring in veteran execs to rebuild the management layer. Let them pick a coach who they can work with effectively to renew the team.

I'd really like to see them to bring in new execs now, as it gives them half a season to evaluate the team.

10-28-2010, 06:35 PM

Raheem Morris completely rebuilt the team because he had to. It was aging, and the cupboard was left pretty bare by Gruden. McD, on the other hand, had a fairly solid team in place. Lots of pieces were there. A 25 year old Pro Bowl QB, a dominant young WR, really only the defense had to be overhauled, that and the offensive line. If we could have improved the interior OL and the redzone playcalling from the year before, we'd have been golden.

When he retooled the defense, which was awful, good things happened. It was pretty clear that Mike Nolan knew what he was doing with the defense. So McD let him walk...

We had franchise cornerstones at QB and WR, and a defensive co-ordinator that made a defense with little talent into a dominant unit for the first few weeks before tailing off. He got rid of them all. Yes, I know there are quotes dating back years about Brandon Marshall wanting the hell out of Denver. But we all saw how happy he was while the team was winning. I don't think he'd have been such a malcontent if the team didn't implode at the end of the year.

Bottom line is we're much worse now than we were then. It isn't age catching up to players, it's McDaniels replacing our best players with inferior ones. Yes, the team is deeper, as has been pointed out. But you can't win with just depth. Depth is a very important part of the puzzle, teams win championships with a combination of great players and depth. But ask yourself, which players are harder to find? Franchise QBs and elite WRs, or adequate replacements if a guy goes down with an injury/fresh legs to rotate in when starters get tired?

PS we still aren't that deep. Just look at what happened when Doom went down.

If, after 2 seasons, a team is worse off now than they'd have been by keeping their old coach, I think it's time to part ways. If this team can't show that they can compete, week in and week out, and start winning games, then it's time to say goodbye to Josh.

Jimmy
10-31-2010, 01:10 PM
I feel terrible for all the blokes in england who came to this game expecting to see professional football. What a boring game between two extremely mediocre teams.

edit after half time: game got a lot better obviously

On another note... This is the worst Broncos team I can ever remember in my short 19 year life. Maybe the 1999 or 2000 team was worse... maybe... but this team rivals it. The only positive twist I can see is that for once my team will likely have a top 7 pick in the draft. Maybe we can land the superstar we so desperately need.

My question is.. lets say we get the 5-7th pick in the draft. what is our most pressing need? what do we draft?

I think Da'Quan Bowers may be the safest pick. But do you guys prefer clayborn? Whether or bowers fits in the 3-4 is almost irrelevant since we are just as likely to be running the 4-3 next year with a new head coach. thoughts?

Jimmy
10-31-2010, 01:49 PM
deep to lloyd. the only thing we've done well this season. and yet it took us a half to go to him.

edit: and with that, Lloyd has broken his career high receiving yards in a season

10-31-2010, 02:16 PM
http://www.ourhonordefend.com/wp-content/uploads/timtebow_diedformysins-234x300.png

Diehard
10-31-2010, 08:02 PM
I think Da'Quan Bowers may be the safest pick. But do you guys prefer clayborn? Whether or bowers fits in the 3-4 is almost irrelevant since we are just as likely to be running the 4-3 next year with a new head coach. thoughts?

It's hard to care given the pathetic state of this organization.

Anyway, a lot of our pieces are better suited to a 4-3, but Doom is not which creates a big problem. Maybe he plays a SLB role similar to what Julian Peterson used to do in Seattle? I don't know.

Diehard
10-31-2010, 10:45 PM
Just thinking about what a bunch of ******* and pussies this team has turned into is pissing me off to no end. **** McD, that **** looks totally lost on the sidelines. It would bring me great satisfaction to see his ******* throat slashed and eyes gouged out.

There. I feel better now. For a moment, at least.

Diehard
10-31-2010, 10:59 PM
The moves made on the defensive side of the ball are particularly galling, as we brought in a lot of veteran guys who have little to no value if we go into full rebuild mode.

There's a lot of youth on offense, so we could be okay there if we found a QB who didn't crumble under pressure.

Cunningham
10-31-2010, 11:33 PM
meh. we have some WR talent, maybe. we have a LT. and we 'have' tebow.

i think beadles is trash. walton might be ok if he wasn't a starter. but that's about all i see there.

and the worst part is, i really like all three of the top qbs for us this year. and we won't draft any of them because we have a guy we won't even let throw the football.
luck would be awesome, but i'm not sure why you'd be excited about the other two qbs. locker seems like a project (albeit less of one than tebow) and mallett reminds me too much of cutler.

at this point i'm hoping we draft a stud on defense, a guy like dareus, peterson, amukamara, ect.

Cunningham
11-01-2010, 12:28 AM
mallett is my low in the group, but i think he's coachable. i love locker and think he's 60x the player luck is. and i like luck, but he has a pretty limited ceiling, imo.

the few times i've seen alabama, dareus has looked like ****. unmotivated, lazy, and just counting the days until he gets paid. now, i haven't seen a lot of alabama games, so maybe i just saw the wrong ones. i don't think drafting a corner in the top 5 does anything for us.

*shrug*

as of now, it basically has to be a DL, imo. i don't see any way we can continue to neglect the position. there won't be a linebacker worth a pick that high, but that'd likely be my 2nd round pick.

though, as i think about it, it really doesn't make any difference. there are so many holes, that we're looking at at least a 3 year rebuilding process (unless we get *really* lucky in FA). i guess i'd change my opinion to "BPA unless BPA is at an offensive skill position, then go to the next BPA".
i'm not sure if mallett is that "coachable". maybe his decision making can be improved, but i see him as a guy who will always lack touch and have heavy feet. but who cares, it's a moot point

dareus has been nursing an ankle sprain that he suffered earlier in the year, that might explain some of what you saw. i've still seen a lot of good things from him. out of the top three dline prospects, i think he's the most natural fit at the five tech

i know taking a cb that high isn't ideal, but if peterson and amukamara are the best prospects available then i'd be fine with taking one of them instead of reaching on someone else

Timbathia
11-01-2010, 02:55 AM
I have lost my will to discuss such things as the future of this team. Perhaps in the offseason I will get excited about football again.

Cunningham
11-01-2010, 12:31 PM
http://www.profile-comments.com/images/quotes/images/keep-your-head-up.gif

Diehard
11-01-2010, 12:44 PM
I have lost my will to discuss such things as the future of this team. Perhaps in the offseason I will get excited about football again.

A demoralized team just going through the motions, pretty much expecting to lose, is a fan's worst nightmare. Yet that is what we have and will likely continue to have until the end of the season.

I don't begrudge any fan who chooses to do something more productive with their time on Sunday afternoon.

Jimmy
11-01-2010, 05:25 PM
The most frustrating thing (at least to me) is that every single position outside of left tackle and "Doom" needs an upgrade. Bailey will be gone next season anyways, and likely Dawk to retirement.

What is most frustrating is that there is no easy solution to this problem. We will draft players that fill in our most pressing needs, and half of those players will amount to nothing. Of the players that succeed, we will still need to bring in a bunch of other players just to win 8 games, since the players that we deemed "not necessary to replace in the draft" are still mediocre at best.

If you ask me, this is at least a 5-7 year rebuilding project, because half of our ****ing team is comprised of youngsters of whom we still need to give another 2-3 years to prove that they aren't worth squat.

Worse case, we may loose 83 games in the next 7 years like the Raiders of last decade, but the only thing we can do as Broncos fans is to support and remain loyal. After all, there's no point in rooting for the team when we win superbowls if we just ditch when they suck. Lets all hang in there, for all we know, Tebow decides teaching is his passion, and then the next Elway could be right around the corner.

Realistically, we're probably doomed, but there's always hope. Stay loyal.

EvilNixon
11-01-2010, 05:40 PM
Even McXanders isn't as bad as Al Davis...Hold your heads up Bronco fans.

Timbathia
11-01-2010, 07:18 PM
A demoralized team just going through the motions, pretty much expecting to lose, is a fan's worst nightmare. Yet that is what we have and will likely continue to have until the end of the season.

I don't begrudge any fan who chooses to do something more productive with their time on Sunday afternoon.

I am still going to watch, I will still get excited when we score or make a big play, I will still swear when we **** up, or the other team does something good, or the ref calls a chop block when our RB is trying to get out of his QBs way.

I just cant gather the will to discuss what is going wrong, or how to fix it, or blah, blah. Thinking about this stuff just does my head in at the moment. I need to just watch games on sundays and then pretend football doesnt exist until the next sunday. For some ******* reason though I keep reading stuff about why we lost another ******* game. It is a bad habit I need to break.

11-01-2010, 07:44 PM
So which sucks more? This season, where we have no hope?

Or the last two seasons, where we had so much hope that we were in the playoffs barring an absolutely catastrophic meltdown of historical significance and then doing just that?

Jimmy
11-01-2010, 07:56 PM
So which sucks more? This season, where we have no hope?

Or the last two seasons, where we had so much hope that we were in the playoffs barring an absolutely catastrophic meltdown of historical significance and then doing just that?

At least we have some peace of mind, and at least our hearts won't be broken this year. And I can almost promise all of you that you will be happier by the end of week 17 this year. At least we have that top 10 pick looking like a godsend. Honestly. When was the last time we had a top 10 pick that we truly earned?

In any event, I may have been naive to believe we were a top 5 team after a 6-2 start last year, but I was in a lot more pain week 14 last year than I will be this year.

11-01-2010, 08:05 PM
At least we have some peace of mind, and at least our hearts won't be broken this year. And I can almost promise all of you that you will be happier by the end of week 17 this year. At least we have that top 10 pick looking like a godsend. Honestly. When was the last time we had a top 10 pick that we truly earned?

In any event, I may have been naive to believe we were a top 5 team after a 6-2 start last year, but I was in a lot more pain week 14 last year than I will be this year.

Not just 6-2, 6-0!

I never thought we were top 5, but winning that 6th game made me believe in the team. I was expecting us to be absolute dog ****, and so when we won the first one i was like, great, 1-15. Even at 5-0 I wasn't sold. 6-0? Yeah, looked at the schedule and saw that 4-6 the rest of the way and a playoff berth would have been a disappointment. I saw another 6 wins there, easy. And instead we went on 2 separate 4 game losing streaks, and **** the bed in the last game, when we were still alive going in. FML.

Season before was awful too. 3 game lead with 3 to go. I was so excited to finally see Cutler in the playoffs... FML.

Even this season getting a premium pick will suck. We're gonna be in range for a QB I think, but we can't take one because we have NO IDEA what Tebow looks like. I think we absolutely need to give Tebow some starts at the end of the season, just enough to see if we have anything at all to work with there or if we should have him work on a new position.

Diehard
11-01-2010, 10:12 PM
Nothing sucks worse than a season where the players give up... and that is what seems to have happened. To me, that's a sign of rotten leadership.

Tebow definitely needs to get some time on the field. The thing is McD isn't going to play him until he is absolutely, mathematically certain we can't win the AFC West. Right now, that looks like it could be wrapped up quickly, but every time one of our division foes loses it will create that little glimmer of false hope. You see Tebow is McD's final hand, and he's not going to be keen to play it. McD knows he's immediately dead in the water if Tebow doesn't play well.

The most important upgrades are the core of the defense: DL, ILB and S. Of course, these have been the most important upgrades for about four years now. If McBath can avoid injury, I think he has one safety spot nailed down... but the other is up for grabs.

Speaking of injuries, they are killing this team. All the lost time in TC is showing up on the field now. The defense is finally healing up a bit, though some of those players (e.g. Goodman) still look like they're not ready to go.

Anyway, not a fun time to be a Broncos fan. A coping strategy: if you simply expect everything to go wrong, you won't be disappointed when it does.

Diehard
11-04-2010, 08:03 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16523671

Ellis added that Bowlen is confident McDaniels can turn around the Broncos, but he stopped short of guaranteeing the coach would return next season.

My read is that McD needs to really turn things around in the second half of the season or he's gone.

Enjoy the hotseat, Josh.

Timbathia
11-04-2010, 10:01 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16523671

My read is that McD needs to really turn things around in the second half of the season or he's gone.

Enjoy the hotseat, Josh.

I predict we will beat the Chiefs next week, go 4-4 down the stretch and Josh will keep his job.

Diehard
11-05-2010, 10:37 AM
I predict we will beat the Chiefs next week, go 4-4 down the stretch and Josh will keep his job.

A bold prediction. The confidence difference between the Chiefs and Broncos right now is huge. The Broncos are just expecting / waiting for something to go wrong. When you have that mindset, you will lose.

4-4 may be enough to save McD. However, if the team gives up again (ala the Raiders game), he's pretty much done regardless of record.

Timbathia
11-12-2010, 02:56 PM
So we are playing the best running team in the NFL and our leading tackler has just been done for his second DUI. If would be quite annoyed if I still cared about how we did this season.

Diehard
11-12-2010, 03:02 PM
When it rains...

It will be interesting to see if the team actually shows up for this game. I suspect McD is pretty much done if they don't.

Timbathia
11-12-2010, 05:07 PM
When it rains...

It will be interesting to see if the team actually shows up for this game. I suspect McD is pretty much done if they don't.

I think it will actually be a good game. Without Ayers, and possibly DJ, we are going to struggle to contain them on the ground (at least Vickerson is back), though even if all healthy we would struggle.

I am interested to see how Beadles does at LG, and a hopefully now healthy Harris at RT. This is our best line, and with a now healthy Moreno, the offense doesnt really have any excuses (i.e. if we cant move the ball this week then we are just not able to move the ball against a decent defense period).

Hali is a worry - I predict we might get a few holding calls this week trying to stop him from killing Orton.

I honestly think we will either win this or go very close. If we dont, then I suspect you are right and McDaniels will be very close to the edge.

vidae
11-14-2010, 01:28 PM
Just wanted to say good luck today guys. Should be a fun game to watch. I love these AFC West rivalries. :)

ATLDirtyBirds
11-14-2010, 03:50 PM
How's Ryan Clady been playing this year?

vidae
11-14-2010, 04:19 PM
Good game guys.

Well, not really. Good game on your part. We got the **** beat out of us. This one is over before halftime.

11-14-2010, 04:39 PM
http://www.thesportsbank.net/core/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/tebowcreation.jpg

And the Lord said, it was good.

Cunningham
11-14-2010, 09:43 PM
http://uranus.ckt.net/~gochiefs/oak/haley2.gif

Me Likey Rookies
11-14-2010, 09:55 PM
Haley's vagina hurts.

San Diego Chicken
11-15-2010, 01:28 PM
Great win yesterday guys, the city of San Diego appreciates it. Wink.

Diehard
11-15-2010, 01:56 PM
Haley's vagina hurts.

He grabbed that opportunity to look like a **** on national TV with both hands. Well done.

He should save his angry ***** act for his own players, particularly those on the defensive side of the ball.

Diehard
11-15-2010, 01:57 PM
Great win yesterday guys, the city of San Diego appreciates it. Wink.

It will be interesting to see if you appreciate the next game we play.

Timbathia
11-15-2010, 02:41 PM
It will be interesting to see if you appreciate the next game we play.

I have been trying not to think about abuse that our secondary is gonna get from Rivers. Lets just enjoy the fact we had an easy win for a few more days.

Diehard
11-15-2010, 02:58 PM
I have been trying not to think about abuse that our secondary is gonna get from Rivers. Lets just enjoy the fact we had an easy win for a few more days.

Yes, I am enjoying the win. Even if it turns out to be our last...

Speaking of secondary play, Champ looked like **** out there. He's giving a big cushion and turning his back on the receiver. Not a great combination. Yes, he still has his moments (e.g. 2 pt conversion), but he's not as quick or focused as we've seen him in the past.

Jimmy
11-15-2010, 03:39 PM
Yes, I am enjoying the win. Even if it turns out to be our last...

Speaking of secondary play, Champ looked like **** out there. He's giving a big cushion and turning his back on the receiver. Not a great combination. Yes, he still has his moments (e.g. 2 pt conversion), but he's not as quick or focused as we've seen him in the past.

this is precisely why I hope we don't resign him. He is still a damn good corner, but he is likely going to want top corner money. I don't know if it's worth it when the guy is clearly on the decline. He is my favorite denver bronco of all time, but i think this may be his last year.

Diehard
11-15-2010, 03:42 PM
He grabbed that opportunity to look like a **** on national TV with both hands. Well done.

Haley apologizes:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5809550

Wise decision. The media picked up on this one so it was good to put the fire out immediately.

Diehard
11-15-2010, 04:22 PM
this is precisely why I hope we don't resign him. He is still a damn good corner, but he is likely going to want top corner money. I don't know if it's worth it when the guy is clearly on the decline. He is my favorite denver bronco of all time, but i think this may be his last year.

It should be his last year. Honestly, he's lacked focus since that deal got pulled off the table. That was a good financial decision for the franchise in the long run, because he's going to get paid way too much money based on his reputation rather than his recent play on the field.

Timbathia
11-17-2010, 04:35 PM
Well after several years of contributing absolutely nothing, Jarvis Moss is no longer a Bronco.

Now watch him go to [insert some **** other NFL team name here] and get 10 sacks in the second half of the season.

11-17-2010, 05:01 PM
Well after several years of contributing absolutely nothing, Jarvis Moss is no longer a Bronco.

Now watch him go to [insert some **** other NFL team name here] and get 10 sacks in the second half of the season.

The sad thing is I see that happening. Well not the 10 sacks this season part, but I could see a team like the Giants picking him up and turning him into a solid contributor.

Jimmy
11-19-2010, 02:42 PM
I really hope Moss can turn it around, he seems like a really nice guy who just can't hack it in the league. Seems really soft and sensitive, I'm pretty sure he's dealing with depression too. It'd be a fell good story if he played well and things started going his way.

BRANDON LLOYD HIGHLIGHT VIDEO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIuuNBG7CfM

Timbathia
11-21-2010, 11:38 PM
Thoughts on tomorrow nights game?

Part of me thinks it will be a close game separated by a penalty flag or special teams mishap, while the other half thinks we lose by about 20 points. I just hope that Joe Mays puts his helmet into Rivers sternum at some point during the game.

CT Bronco Fan
11-22-2010, 01:00 AM
i think it will be made clear that last week was a complete aberration and that this team is exactly as bad as everyone thought they were 2 weeks ago.

Always the Optimist. =)

Timbathia
11-22-2010, 04:59 PM
i think it will be made clear that last week was a complete aberration and that this team is exactly as bad as everyone thought they were 2 weeks ago.

I think we are neither. We obviously arent as good as we played last week (actually the defense is about as good as they played last week which is pretty terrible), however, we are not as bad as the Raiders/49ers game.

The issue for me is that this year we are a bad defense, but with ALL the starters (except Doom) we are just capable of not getting blown out. The Ayers injury hurt us quite a bit.

As much as many hate Moreno, he is still our best back when fully healthy. He at least gives the offense an option to run.

This is an interesting game, as like last week, we are actually quite healthy which is a change from all the games before the bye. This game will be a much better indicator of where we are in the rebuilding process, and how far we are from being able to win this division in the future.

vidae
11-22-2010, 08:18 PM
Never thought I'd be saying this, but go Broncos!! :P

CT Bronco Fan
11-22-2010, 10:46 PM
Never thought I'd be saying this, but go Broncos!! :P

You jinxed us

Diehard
11-22-2010, 11:27 PM
The team gave up. Again.

When you use "again" like that, it generally means that many people in the organization should be very worried about their job security. It had better play out that way once the season is over.

I'll take this opportunity to say goodbye to Dawkins, who is aging so rapidly that he'll end up playing with a walker by the end of the season, and Champ, who is far to quick to pull up on plays in fear of hurting his big upcoming pay day. Oh, and to Orton, who apparently folds like a cheap suit whenever the team is playing catch-up on the scoreboard.

Props to Moreno for actually trying to make things happen when Orton was already well into give-up mode. At least one guy is giving it his all out there.

Cunningham
11-22-2010, 11:54 PM
my favorite part was when the chargers scored 35 unanswered points

Timbathia
11-23-2010, 04:26 PM
God damn it - I really honestly thought we were better than that. Obviously I didnt think we were great, but I really thought we were better than that. The opening drive I was standing up the whole time fist pumping. Now I want to punch about half our players in the throat.......

I am going to think for a couple of days about bright spots njx, and then get back to you.

Diehard
11-23-2010, 05:31 PM
Moreno and Joe Mays were the bright spots.

11-23-2010, 05:43 PM
I don't think Timbathia is coming back, guys...

Honestly though, as this season slips further and further away, I think we need to find out what Tebow can do. Don't have to start him or anything, but I really think we need to see what he can do on drives while operating as primarily a dropback passer. We'll probably be in position to grab Locker or Mallett in the draft, and I don't want to pass up on a potential franchise signal caller because we have a guy that has thrown 1 pass in 10 games. I know Orton is one of our less dim spots, but I don't think he's a franchise guy. He's a guy we can win with, but if management feels Locker or Mallett can be the guy who finally takes control of this QB position for a decade, I want them to be equipped to make that decision. And they can't be equipped to make that decision if we can't see a little bit of what Tebow can and can't do. If he's made zero progress, we should act, because he's had the preseason+11 weeks to practice. If he's only been working on Florida plays in practice, then McD needs the axe.

Timbathia
11-23-2010, 05:53 PM
Moreno and Joe Mays were the bright spots.

I like Mays, but he is a limited player that I would prefer we were able to keep on special teams. What he does bring is a desire for contact, and that sort of need for violence is a great attribute in a linebacker. Maybe if DJ had that need then he would tackle people at the LOS rather than 5 yards after it. A quality thumper would actually make our linebacker group look pretty decent next year with Doom and Ayers on the outside.

Timbathia
11-23-2010, 06:00 PM
I don't think Timbathia is coming back, guys...

Honestly though, as this season slips further and further away, I think we need to find out what Tebow can do. Don't have to start him or anything, but I really think we need to see what he can do on drives while operating as primarily a dropback passer. We'll probably be in position to grab Locker or Mallett in the draft, and I don't want to pass up on a potential franchise signal caller because we have a guy that has thrown 1 pass in 10 games. I know Orton is one of our less dim spots, but I don't think he's a franchise guy. He's a guy we can win with, but if management feels Locker or Mallett can be the guy who finally takes control of this QB position for a decade, I want them to be equipped to make that decision. And they can't be equipped to make that decision if we can't see a little bit of what Tebow can and can't do. If he's made zero progress, we should act, because he's had the preseason+11 weeks to practice. If he's only been working on Florida plays in practice, then McD needs the axe.

You might be right about the bright spot thing.

I really dont want us taking a Locker or Mallett. There are some potentially dominant Dlineman that we should be in a position to take, and I personally think that this FA/veteran approach to the defense has gone on long enough. We need an elite DL, and we need top quality players at ILB, CB, and safety. Lets draft one or two rather than taking other teams aging castoffs.

Playing Tebow this year is too soon IMO. Everyone called him a 2 year project, so evaluating him now is unfair. Let Orton start next year, and when the season is lost, then will be the time to start Tebow. Like it or not, Tebow is the guy most likely to get his shot in 2012 as the starter, and taking a first round QB before then is not an option.

San Diego Chicken
11-23-2010, 06:17 PM
I think Denver needs DL in the worst way. 31st in the NFL in run defense. Giving up 4.4 YPC. There are some really nice 3-4 DL prospects in this upcoming draft and it would be a huge mistake to pass on a Bowers or Clayborne. Rebuild the defensive line and go from there.

Timbathia
11-23-2010, 06:29 PM
I think Denver needs DL in the worst way. 31st in the NFL in run defense. Giving up 4.4 YPC. There are some really nice 3-4 DL prospects in this upcoming draft and it would be a huge mistake to pass on a Bowers or Clayborne. Rebuild the defensive line and go from there.

I think Dareus or Fairley would be better options.

San Diego Chicken
11-23-2010, 06:42 PM
I think Dareus or Fairley would be better options.

Those guys too, and they're not even the only ones. I don't think Denver can afford to pass up on one of those DL prospects in such a deep draft.

Diehard
11-24-2010, 12:12 PM
Those guys too, and they're not even the only ones. I don't think Denver can afford to pass up on one of those DL prospects in such a deep draft.

From a fan's perspective, DL is at the top of the wish list. I'd like to see two picks used on the line. We badly need guys who can get some push and be a factor against the pass... right now our DL provides jack squat in terms of pass rush.

However, like njx9, I don't expect our current team leadership to do anything as straightforward as this. McX seem to make some wierd decisions, ones that suggest they are trying to prove how smart they are by not following conventional wisdom. That kind of crap can easily backfire. To me, this is the critical reason to bring in an experienced GM now to get value out of this offseason. We can't afford to screw things up this time around.

Timbathia
11-24-2010, 06:36 PM
meh. i don't trust a broncos front office to ever do the right thing (see: tebow, moreno, ayers, smith, beadles). i fully expect us to take the notre dame te, or some other crap for mcdaniels' worthless excuse for an offense.

I wouldnt be opposed to us taking a TE in the third round, or even with one of our seconds if Rudolph is there. It is a terrible TE class, but if someone like Kendricks is there in the third it wouldnt be a bad option. That being said, I hope that Quinn gets a lot more playing time now the season is over to work out if he will develop into anything useful. I dont know if he still doesnt understand the offense and know what he should be doing or whether he is just another poor draft pick.

Me Likey Rookies
11-24-2010, 07:24 PM
I'm ready for some Tim Tebow; it might be the only way to energize fans and save McDaniels' job.

Monday nights pathetic performance shows that Orton does not have what it takes. No mobility, average arm, no playmaking ability. Only 7 points for the majority of the game vs SD. And then laughing on the sideline at the end. Tebow does not laugh (he only cries) at the end of games. Tebow's mobility and deep ball are the only way to get fans excited at this point. And stop using Thomas on returns! He gets hurt on every play already.

Jimmy
11-25-2010, 12:19 PM
Watching the Lions lead the Patriots 7-3 gives me hope for this team. As Phil Simms put it... "Two years ago, this Lions team was a slow, aging, over-paid group. Now they are a bigger, faster team with weapons on both side of the ball."

I like what I see from the Lions, I think that in 3 years they will be regular playoff contenders. Having that said, there's always hope that we can turn this franchise around in 2 years. However, it will take some smart drafting and luck, so lets keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best. Happy Thanksgiving to all. Go Broncos.

11-25-2010, 12:28 PM
I dunno. When McD took over, we were at a stage past the Lions right now, even with a healthy Stafford. A 25 year old PBer at QB, a stud WR the same age, and a franchise LT. The defense was in shambles, though.

Fast forward two years and we have a game manager at QB, a guy who is definitely good enough to win games and even a SB if he's on the right team(not THIS team), and Tim Tebow. At WR, we have a ragtag group of veterans, Eddie Royal, and a young, promising guy who realistically is not Brandon Marshall. Still have Clady, and the defense remains in shambles.

At least when the Lions signed Mayhew and Schwartz, they started moving in the right direction. We haven't.

Timbathia
11-25-2010, 04:03 PM
i couldn't disagree more. i don't think there's anything this team needs less than another TE that doesn't have a place in mcdaniels' offense. i'd be utterly opposed to signing one in FA if it cost us anything.

were i in charge, the entire draft and off season would be about the interior oline (again) and the defensive front seven. i can't see any argument for anything else.

I think there is a huge place in McDaniels offense for blocking TEs that can catch. Look how much they are used in NEs offense. They will never be used as a pure receiver and put up Gates-type numbers, but would still be a valuable addition to the offense in short-yardage and goal lines situations. The problem we have right now is the o-line needs too much help, so the TEs stay on the line, and quite frankly Graham looks old when he is running routes, Quinn either is not liked or does not know what he is doing, and Gronkowski just isnt that good.

TEs are the answer to a 3-4 defense, and in our division that is kinda important.

Jimmy
11-25-2010, 05:43 PM
At least when the Lions signed Mayhew and Schwartz, they started moving in the right direction. We haven't.

This is assuming McDaniels has a job next season. I'm assuming one of the worst coaches in the nfl is rightfully unemployed next year and we get to start from scratch once that 2 year clock starts.

We should have hired Raheem Morris...

Don't look now, but Denver has an interview scheduled with Raheem Morris, who would become the youngest coach in the league
http://blogs.tampabay.com/bucs/2008/12/raheem-morris-o.html

http://www.buccaneers.com/media/photos/misc/MorrisR01_08_06_1_b.jpg

*sigh* what could have been

Morton
11-26-2010, 04:45 PM
McDaniels is actually not that bad of a coach, if he sticks to offensive stuff.

The problem is that he is a terrible drafter and roster manager.

Diehard
11-26-2010, 05:30 PM
The problem is that he is a terrible drafter and roster manager.

So was Shanahan.

McD actually made some decent individual picks in the last draft. My issue is with his overall strategy.

Jimmy
11-26-2010, 08:03 PM
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee20/dhatfield13/MarcelDareus.jpg

we can only hope. not to start planning for next season or anything.. but now is the time of the year when i start to salivate over our potential first round selection.

Diehard
11-27-2010, 01:31 AM
edited. need to remember to take deep breaths before discussing mcdaniels.

We all know McD is a lying *****, an egotistical **** and a ****-spewing **********. Those obvious things can go unsaid, to allow whatever the actual discussion point is to be expressed... <grin>

Jimmy
11-27-2010, 10:07 AM
We all know McD is a lying *****, an egotistical **** and a ****-spewing **********.

He's a lying *****, an egotistical **** and a ****-spewing, cheating **********.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/14362028/broncos-caught-up-in-nfl-probe-of-videotaping?source=rss_teams_Denver_Broncos

Diehard
11-27-2010, 11:12 AM
If there is any fire to go with this smoke, McD is done.

11-27-2010, 08:43 PM
So Josh got the first part of being a Bill disciple down by recording opponents. Unfortunately he forgot the critical second step of winning the game. That's kind of pathetic.

Diehard
11-28-2010, 07:27 PM
More **** today. Glad to see the stadium empty out at halftime - that's pretty much the only message Bowlen & Ellis will take seriously.

Typical Orton out there - played great whent there was no pressure, but anytime we really needed a clutch play he choked.

McD's playcalling is too often total crap - those pass,pass,pass,punt sequences when the Rams were building on their momentum were killers. We give up on the run way too easily.

The defense sucks balls. A few guys out there are trying (e.g. Joe Mays) but the rest are just going through the motions. The aging veterans are some of the worst perpetrators... I won't be sad to see them go in the offseason.

The only hope that remains is for new leadership.

BamaFalcon59
11-28-2010, 07:36 PM
More **** today. Glad to see the stadium empty out at halftime - that's pretty much the only message Bowlen & Ellis will take seriously.

Typical Orton out there - played great whent there was no pressure, but anytime we really needed a clutch play he choked.

McD's playcalling is too often total crap - those pass,pass,pass,punt sequences when the Rams were building on their momentum were killers. We give up on the run way too easily.

The defense sucks balls. A few guys out there are trying (e.g. Joe Mays) but the rest are just going through the motions. The aging veterans are some of the worst perpetrators... I won't be sad to see them go in the offseason.

The only hope that remains is for new leadership.

You know what name is simultaneous with leadership? I do!

Timbathia
11-28-2010, 07:38 PM
I just cant get over how bad the defense is. I just hope that whoever the coach is next year now truly understands how badly we need to draft some talent on that side of that ball.

Jimmy
11-28-2010, 10:11 PM
well on the bright side, mcdaniels is that much closer to getting canned..

BamaFalcon59
11-28-2010, 11:50 PM
You guys think McDaniels is out before Tebow gets a shot?

Timbathia
11-29-2010, 04:19 AM
You guys think McDaniels is out before Tebow gets a shot?

I say no. McDaniels will be there next year along with Orton, but once we are out of playoff contention Tebow will get his shot. Best guess he starts in round 12 2011 (if there is a 2011 season that is).

Diehard
11-29-2010, 07:34 PM
The vultures are circling...

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16734431

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/josh-mcdaniels-spygate-2-denver-broncos-112910

It's been a bad few days for Denver Broncos coach Josh McDaniels, having been hit with a $50,000 fine for one of his staffers illegally taping a San Francisco 49ers walk-through earlier this year, and then losing to the St. Louis Rams Sunday by a score of 36-33.

As a result, the storm clouds are beginning to hover over his job security. Mike Kiszla of the Denver Post writes that McDaniels keeps moving "closer to the unemployment line," and that he "might be the most reviled man in Denver."

Peter King of Sports Illustrated writes that he wonders if the videotaping incident could end up being "the final straw" for McDaniels. If the Broncos can't get something of a winning streak together to end the season, it certainly doesn't look great for McDaniels.

If a coaching change ends up being made, it will be interesting to see what the new regime will choose to do with rookie QB Tim Tebow.

Cunningham
11-29-2010, 09:42 PM
bowlen says mcdaniels will be back for '11
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/11/29/josh-mcdaniels-will-return-in-2011-broncos-owner-says/

we really need to bring in a legit gm or someone who could play the role of a czar, someone like marty schottenheimer

Cunningham
11-29-2010, 09:47 PM
and fire everyone on josh's coaching staff.

regardless, what bowlen says is generally irrelevant. as sad as it may be, he probably won't remember having said it tomorrow.
yep. it pretty much doesn't mean **** when an owner gives the dreaded vote of confidence

11-29-2010, 09:51 PM
and fire everyone on josh's coaching staff.

regardless, what bowlen says is generally irrelevant. as sad as it may be, he probably won't remember having said it tomorrow.

also, the comments to that article had me laughing...

"I am not sure how I feel about this, but I can say for sure, if McDaniels doesn't learn how to properly use a running back of the caliber of Moreno, then he needs to stop coaching."

To be fair to the commenter, maybe he meant proper use of a RB of Moreno's calibre is placing him comfortably on the bench.

Diehard
11-29-2010, 11:02 PM
http://twitter.com/viclombardi

Broncos just issued a statement from Bowlen backing off his original comments. Forget the vote of confidence I guess. More to come.

Timbathia
11-29-2010, 11:10 PM
http://twitter.com/viclombardi

IF McDaniels gets fired now, who do you think would be the interim coach?

Diehard
11-29-2010, 11:15 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_16738529

"This has been a very trying and disappointing season for all of us," Bowlen said in a written statement. "We haven't had the success we had hoped to achieve. Josh McDaniels is the head coach of the Broncos, and you always strive for stability at that position. However, with five games left in the 2010 season, we will continue to monitor the progress of the team and evaluate what's in the best interest of this franchise."

So a flip-flop in position over the course of a few hours? I seriously believe Bowlen is either losing his marbles or self-medicating heavily.

Diehard
11-29-2010, 11:28 PM
IF McDaniels gets fired now, who do you think would be the interim coach?

None of the assistants are even close to having the credentials required to be considered a possible successor. However, even if the role is explictly just a caretaker one, I suspect it would *not* be Wink as a new DC is almost inevitable considering the play of the defense. If we were going to clean house, I'd think McCoy would be the most likely to survive because of his knowledge of the offensive scheme (which is the part a new regime is most likely to want to salvage).

The only reason you make a change now is if you want to start bringing in the new regime immediately, which suggests a GM level change. You know there's no way in hell McD will help with the transition, so you can him, promote McCoy to interim HC, and then McCoy starts working with the new management to lay the foundation for next year. McCoy knows he's got no shot at being the new HC, so he's happy to play along in the hope it means he gets to stay on the coaching staff.

Diehard
11-30-2010, 12:33 AM
honestly? can bowlen be the interim head coach? that would at least make the games fun to watch.

I was walking down the street a few weeks ago, before the big snows hit, and there was a balding homeless guy lying on bench who was wearing this battered pair of aviator shades. He looked like he was lying in a puddle of his own puke, however he wasn't totally unconcious as he blurted out something like "who's yer momma" to some people who walked by just ahead of me. My immediate thought was "put a fur coat on this guy and you've got Bowlen".

also, why do i think elway ends up with much higher involvement in the next front office?

Yeah, I think there will be a strong tie in to the "old" Broncos in the new regime... the organization will want to reconnect with it's roots in light of the failure of the Patriot experiment.

Diehard
11-30-2010, 12:48 AM
I'm really not sure who I'd like, though there are two things I think we really need:

1. A proven, experienced coaching staff
2. A HC who can motivate players

These are the two really obvious deficits this year. The coaches seem in over their heads and the team folds under pressure far too easily.

Diehard
11-30-2010, 02:26 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Josh-McDaniels-ruining-Denver-Broncos-112910

Denver fans should be thankful for Steve Scarnecchia. He hopefully delivered the dagger in forcing a change. As if you needed any more visual evidence that McDaniels is in way over his head. He is a losing football coach. He can’t run an organization.

Coaching the Denver Broncos is a plum job. The NFL is better when the Broncos are relevant. They aren’t right now. Denver needs to hire a legit new general manager, who will hire the next coach. The Broncos need to follow the Falcons model from a few years back after Bobby Petrino quit like a coward.

Denver deserves a winner. You shouldn’t need a rogue videographer to help you see the Broncos don’t have one. There’s no excuse, Pat Bowlen. Save your franchise.

That pretty much covers it.

11-30-2010, 03:12 PM
or demoting him to the blue bombers.

yes, that's right. in winnipeg.

Well hopefully he's bad enough that Winnipeg doesn't protect him in the expansion draft and the new Ottawa team drafts him. Cuz I'd buy a Moreno jersey.

Hell, maybe 5 years from now I'll also be wearing a Tim Tebow jersey to Ottawa RoughRiders/Renegades/Whatever they'll be called games.

RaiderNation
12-01-2010, 02:31 PM
What are the chances Kyle Orton leaves this offseason? Do you think they believe Tebow/Quinn can step in for him? I think Orton is a perfect match for the Raiders if he is a F/A

Diehard
12-01-2010, 04:00 PM
What are the chances Kyle Orton leaves this offseason? Do you think they believe Tebow/Quinn can step in for him? I think Orton is a perfect match for the Raiders if he is a F/A

I don't think he's a FA - we gave him a contract extension earlier this year.

That being said, I am pretty certain he will be traded in the offseason. His value will never be higher, and there are a number of teams who could use a solid game manager at QB.

Timbathia
12-02-2010, 05:17 AM
Has anyone seen or heard much about the possibility of Champ staying in Denver but moving to safety (taking over form Renaldo Hill)? We all pretty much agree he is only an okay CB these days, but could probably be a quite good safety for a few more years. Most of the talk I am hearing is that he should be gone next year.

Diehard
12-03-2010, 12:06 PM
Has anyone seen or heard much about the possibility of Champ staying in Denver but moving to safety (taking over form Renaldo Hill)? We all pretty much agree he is only an okay CB these days, but could probably be a quite good safety for a few more years. Most of the talk I am hearing is that he should be gone next year.

Champ doesn't want to move to safety yet for two reasons: 1) he still thinks he's a shutdown corner, and 2) he's looking for a big payday and, all things being equal, CB's make more $$$.

All signs point to Champ going elsewhere in the offseason.

Diehard
12-03-2010, 12:15 PM
A rumor has been floating around that some TV personality has a meeting with the Broncos this week to discuss a potential GM role.

I know Schlereth has openly spoken about the position, but he doesn't have any experience.

Maybe Mike Lombardi? He has been less critical of the team that many other media types, has ties to Denver... oh, and actually has some experience in this area. The downside is that he's one of the guys who thinks McD will be a great coach one day... which would mean at least another year of the Boy Blunder.

Anyway, something to mull over...

LonghornsLegend
12-03-2010, 12:22 PM
That being said, I am pretty certain he will be traded in the offseason. His value will never be higher, and there are a number of teams who could use a solid game manager at QB.

Really? Wouldn't it do Tebow better to sit for 2 seasons? He seems like the type to take advantage of all the time learning that he can and I don't see what the rush should be. He was a project anyway. Plus will McDaniels have time to roll with Tebow and his ups as a 1st year starter? If he's brought back, he needs Orton to probably win as many games as he can to keep his job right?

I guess if Tebow is coming along nicely you could, Orton should get a nice return from a team like San Fran who could really use Orton even if they drafted a QB.

Diehard
12-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Really? Wouldn't it do Tebow better to sit for 2 seasons? He seems like the type to take advantage of all the time learning that he can and I don't see what the rush should be. He was a project anyway. Plus will McDaniels have time to roll with Tebow and his ups as a 1st year starter? If he's brought back, he needs Orton to probably win as many games as he can to keep his job right?

In an ideal world, Tebow sits until he is ready. Of course, that's true of any rookie.

In this situation, though, McD almost has to show he didn't screw up by drafting Tebow. He's been getting called out big time for his personnel decisions and needs to respond. It's not like they spent some 6th round flyer on a guy with an outside chance at panning out... if you valued him as a first rounder, he should be a lot more "player" than "project".

Of course, McD is going to hold off playing Tebow this year as long as he can. Why? Because he's got nothing to gain by playing Tebow. If Tebow plays poorly, McD is pretty much dead in the water. If Tebow plays well, it could hurt Orton's value by making him appear more of a product of the system.

We're all set up to make this move. Quinn is a waste of a roster spot as long as Orton is on the team. There's no question that Tebow wants to start. Orton isn't a clutch player, despite his stats.

I'll be surprised if Orton is still on the roster next fall.

49erNation85
12-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Tebow needs to play some more toward ends of game I mean if they are down by 14 or even 21 points . Put the kid in and lets see what he can do / learned so far this season. I mean by most of the second round or first round picks have gotten more playing time then he has . I'm sure he has been working on drop back type plays and what not this entire season etc . So why not play him in the 4th quarter if you down so far . I say give the kid a chance late in the game . The crowd is gonna cheer any way .

Jimmy
12-05-2010, 04:35 PM
We are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. That is all.

12-05-2010, 04:50 PM
That's weird, it isn't week 17 yet.

Diehard
12-05-2010, 05:45 PM
Orton sucked ass today.

Moreno rocked.

Who throws 8 passes in a row when you've been gouging the opposition on the ground? If it was McD, he should be fired immediately. If it was Orton audibling out of the runs at the line, he needs a Casino-style beating in a cornfield.

Diehard
12-05-2010, 07:58 PM
was moreno actually good, or were the chiefs just playing the pass all game?

The Chiefs were focusing on stopping Orton, no question. However, the line opened up some nice holes and Moreno did good damage. Too bad McD is a ******* **** and didn't stick with Moreno to finish the game.

Diehard
12-05-2010, 10:43 PM
ugh. if only mcidiot hadn't taken him fricking 12th.

Yeah, that wasn't a strong pick, but really, none were in 2009. McD was not ready for the draft and it showed. IIRC they were worried about what SD would do... and considering that SD made a big move up in the following draft to get a RB, they might've been right.

Really, this all comes back to turning over too much control to McD before he'd established his credibility. A stronger GM over the last 2 seasons would've actually helped both the team and McD by letting him narrow his focus. Same kind of logic holds true with the coordinator spots. The problem was McD didn't want any veteran voices who could challenge him (e.g. Goodmans, Nolan), which is the folly/arrogance of youth. He's paying for that now.

Jimmy
12-05-2010, 11:10 PM
was moreno actually good, or were the chiefs just playing the pass all game?

On his two runs of over 20 yards, you could have picked up 15.

On another note. Orton was horrific. 9-28. No tier 2 quarterback does that. Ever.

Diehard
12-06-2010, 12:43 PM
to be fair, i think i'm still about as fast as moreno is.

It seems to me the offensive system could make excellent use of both a bulldozer (LenDale White when he returns?) and a fast/quick back (ala Sproles, Woodhead). Those complementary running styles can be an effective change of pace or allow you to key in on weaknesses in the defense.

For a guy who really likes running lots of different packages and making heavy use of substitution, the insistence on using vanilla RB's is somewhat puzzling.

Jimmy
12-06-2010, 05:52 PM
Christmas just came 3 weeks early.

http://static.funnyjunk.com/CommentPhoto/6c062ed0_f636_d797.jpg

jCut
12-06-2010, 07:04 PM
Addition by subtraction. I love it.

Cunningham
12-06-2010, 07:14 PM
schefter mentioned leslie frazier as a possibility. i'd be happy with that, as long as we pair him with a competent gm.

thinking about the big names out there, most of them either aren't appealing or would be unlikely to want the job

Diehard
12-06-2010, 09:33 PM
IMO, the new coaching staff will have ties to the Shanahan-era Broncos. Kubiak, Calhoun from Air Force, Dennison, hell maybe even Wade Phillips as DC.

Expect the return of the ZBS as the core of our offensive philosophy.

12-06-2010, 09:35 PM
Yessssssssssssssssssssssssss.

MidwayMonster31
12-06-2010, 10:15 PM
I see you guys are having fun.
As for coaches, Brian Schottenheimer might work. The Denver native can maintain a zone blocking scheme that they had before, as well as do a good job with Tebow, since he's really all you got.
As for the defense, Bob Sutton is an assistant with the Jets, he can work. The defense was a mess before McDaniels got there, while they have a few pieces, I think they should stay with a 3-4. They can reload the defensive line this year.

Diehard
12-06-2010, 11:02 PM
According to Vic Lombardi, Elway and Bowlen are having a power dinner tonight. Elway to join the organization in some capacity?

Certainly ties in nicely to the rumors that we are going back to our "roots"...

Diehard
12-06-2010, 11:35 PM
as much as i love john. i really hope bowlen's not senile enough to make him our coach.

No, I suspect he'd be an advisor at the top level. Work with the GM on the big picture. If he rejoins the team, we'll see additional changes in the FO.

LonghornsLegend
12-07-2010, 12:53 AM
i really wouldn't mind wade coming back as DC.

not sure i want anything to do with kubes.

and really, as long as we sign neither weis nor childress, our HC situation can't really get worse.

He'd be a good choice honestly. Alot of Cowboy fans were happy with his job as strictly the DC, he does some great things with the 3-4 and if that is his primary focus he'll do a stand up job next season wherever he goes.

Jimmy
12-07-2010, 10:41 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_16795158

Mike Kiszla just wrote a terrible article... I truly wonder if I'm ever going to take him seriously again.

This thesis was basically that Bowlen is to blame and McDaniels is the scapegoat.

Interesting claims made through the article.

The Broncos forgot how to win before McDaniels arrived.

Yes, we were an 8-8 team. But the goal of the hiring was to improve our team, not disassemble it, just so we could go 3-9.

most startling claim of all:

You can blame McDaniels for drafting Tim Tebow, a first-round player who was declared unready to play for a 3-9 team during the final hours his coach was on the job. There were head-scratching trades, an unhealthy reliance on inexperienced assistant coaches and an obsession with collecting more quarterbacks than any one man could possibly use after dumping Jay Cutler.

But McDaniels didn't create the mess at Broncos headquarters. He threw open the doors for everybody to see there's no authority figure to provide the franchise with perspective or a steady hand during a crisis.

You're right Mike, he didn't start it. He just made it 10 times worse. Is this guy for real?

On top of that, Bowlen, the so called "non existant authority figure", just made two incredibly hard (or easy, depending on the way you look at it) decisions, canned two coaches, all in the spirit of winning.

The Broncos now try to win with a roster closer to the bottom of the league than to the top of it in terms of money expended on talent. When Denver pulled a contract extension for cornerback Champ Bailey off the table at the 11th hour earlier this season, it seemed the accounting ledger had replaced championship rings as the No. 1 priority with this franchise.

How about the fact that now mr. bowlen will be paying 3 head coaches next year, all in the spirit of trying to win some ball games? By that notion, we should just pay all our good players top 5 money for their respective positions. Has the dude ever heard of value relative to age?

Anyways, my only question is: Is Kiszla usually this bad?

Diehard
12-07-2010, 03:58 PM
@Jimmy - Yeah, that article sucked.

I guess you can blame the Broncos a bit for allowing McD to gain the control that he did. However, that wasn't "forcing too much on him", on the contrary, he was quite actively involved in the office powerplay that resulted in the Goodman boys leaving. McD wanted control and he got it... now he's lying in the bed he made.

Anyway, with Elway coming on board and the comments from Ellis that the new coach won't have as much control, I pretty much expect us to hire a GM type in the very near future.

Jimmy
12-08-2010, 07:47 AM
Looks like everyone's suspicions are further confirmed-

"It's not all in my hands. I just know that once I'm a free agent, I can control where I go, and it's about who wants me," Bailey said Tuesday night at a charity event. "Hopefully, the Broncos will want me."

Moot point, Champ. It's not in your hands, but once you become a free agent, it is? Well, you you're not getting the CB money you want right now, so therefore you know you're testing the market by now. You're the one who sat in those meetings and listened to the front office tell you "come back at the end of the season, we'll have some counter propositions"

I rephrased his quote so we get a true sense of what he's trying to say. Read: "I have the control here. I just know that once I'm a free agent, I can control where I go, because someone's going to shell out the money, and someone's going to want to keep me at my preferred position. It's about who wants to pay me, and ideally, it's a team who can win." Bailey said Tuesday night at a charity event. "I'm gonna say falsely claim that hopefully the Broncos will "want me" because I know they won't pay me top corner money, and this way I won't seem disloyal."

p.s. edit: Bailey just got PAYED on sunday. If he shuts down his man the rest of the season like he shut down Bowe this week, he's 100% gone.

Jimmy
12-08-2010, 08:55 AM
i honestly can't blame bailey or dawkins if they want to gtho. both deserve to go try to find a winner.

100% agreed. I idolized champ as a 15 year old. In any "zomg best cb" debate, I always had his back, albeit in a fuming mindset. I just think it's fairly obvious that he is mincing words, but I guess that's just the p.c. thing to do.

jCut
12-09-2010, 10:45 AM
I want Jim Harbaugh to be the coach, Elway as VP of Football Operations and Eric DeCosta from Baltimore as GM. Sounds like a solid structure to me. Kubiak as OC and Wade as DC would also be good fits, IMO.

edit: that might be too much $ for bowlen..

no bare feet
12-10-2010, 11:19 AM
My favorite player on the Broncos is in trouble. Perrish Cox arrested :

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/sports/26089478/detail.html

seriously.

Jimmy
12-10-2010, 12:50 PM
My favorite player on the Broncos is in trouble. Perrish Cox arrested :

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/sports/26089478/detail.html

seriously.

likewise. i jizzed my pants when we drafted him, i think all the experts knew he had character issues, obviously mcd was hoping he could just get his **** together, but that is not the case.

Jimmy
12-10-2010, 12:52 PM
But hey, maybe this will be the wake up call everybody thinks he needs.

12-10-2010, 02:56 PM
So who thinks someone spins this as to somehow happening because we fired McDaniels? Like this doesn't happen all season and all of a sudden 4 days after he's fired, someone gets in trouble.

Diehard
12-10-2010, 04:54 PM
likewise. i jizzed my pants when we drafted him, i think all the experts knew he had character issues, obviously mcd was hoping he could just get his **** together, but that is not the case.

It's a little wierd. The incident happened a few days before Halloween, when Cox was left behind after the team went to London. I believe he was battling severe headaches/nausea as a result of that concussion. That doesn't dovetail very well with predatory sexual behaviour.

I guess we'll see as the facts emerge.

Oh, and this season is a total shitstorm. Hopefully we can get all the ******* stupidity out of the way in one big blast so the next coach actually has some hope of succeeding.

Jimmy
12-12-2010, 11:53 AM
Can someone tell me why hiring John Elway would help at all? The man is a golden god, but what does him being able to throw a football like no other have to do with him turning our franchise around? Is he truly "Stanford" smart?

49erNation85
12-12-2010, 07:56 PM
Why is Tebow still on the side lines in the 4th quarter when your down by 14 points ?

Diehard
12-12-2010, 08:18 PM
God this team sucks. They've flat out given up. Blow it up completely and start again.

In other news:

1. **** this piece of **** season

2. The refs are a bunch of ******* *******

3. Orton is a **********

jCut
12-12-2010, 10:13 PM
It's obvious. We are tanking for a top-pick. The question is.. who are we targeting?

Diehard
12-13-2010, 12:00 AM
It's obvious. We are tanking for a top-pick. The question is.. who are we targeting?

You're giving the team too much credit. The players have given up and the coaches aren't going to survive the offseason purge. The team is dead and everyone knows it, hence the play on the field.

fenikz
12-13-2010, 12:39 AM
Jerome Boger & crew are prob the worst in the league, Arizona always gets them and they seem to always screw us

Good game I guess, no clue why you didn't play Tebow

also what are your guy's opinions on Skelton, I felt he played so much better than his stats, but I know they are skewed because of the all drops by Fitz, Breaston and co

Diehard
12-13-2010, 07:50 AM
Good game I guess, no clue why you didn't play Tebow

No it wasn't. It ******* sucked. The fact that most of the Broncos don't really give a **** about football anymore is a serious impediment to the enjoyment of games.

As for Tebow, my read is that they either want to keep him under wraps until they get home (gotta have some reason for the fans to go see this abomination of a team) or there's some outside factor at work that is a disincentive to playing him under these circumstances (e.g. trade to Jacksonville).

also what are your guy's opinions on Skelton, I felt he played so much better than his stats, but I know they are skewed because of the all drops by Fitz, Breaston and co

If I was a Cardinals fan, I'd be mildly suprised with the way he played all things considered. Obviously they took steps to make it easier on him, but he certainly looks like he can throw the ball.

49erNation85
12-19-2010, 04:38 PM
Tebow Has Arrived In Denver Guys !

49erNation85
12-19-2010, 07:19 PM
Fans where are you ? Teboe had a great game but still we lost dang it . Out Defense just sucks.Can't cover , can't tackle either . Time to upgrade on Defense ,I also think we missed Cox this Sunday too . Our O line needs serious help as well to keep poor Tebow in the pocket .

Diehard
12-19-2010, 08:41 PM
Fans where are you ? Teboe had a great game but still we lost dang it . Out Defense just sucks.Can't cover , can't tackle either . Time to upgrade on Defense ,I also think we missed Cox this Sunday too . Our O line needs serious help as well to keep poor Tebow in the pocket .

The OL play won't matter if the defense knows exactly what we are going to do, which they will, since the play calling has reached a new low of utter suckitude. The Raiders just blitzed in the box constantly, and the coaches just kept running the same old ****. Tebow did well all things considered.

The problem with the defense is that most of the veterans don't care anymore. They're just going through the motions, waiting for the end of the season. I hope the team takes a hard line against the lack of effort and ships a lot of these guys out during the offseason.

12-19-2010, 11:22 PM
Even if you take away the 40 yard run, Tebow was far and away our most effective option on the ground. That's pathetic. I mean honestly, everyone else struggled to get a ypc of ONE.

Jimmy
12-20-2010, 08:38 PM
So... Peterson, Dareus, or Fairley?
Who do you guys think is the better run stuffer?
Better fit for a 3-4? Better fit if we go 4-3?

Jimmy
12-20-2010, 08:44 PM
also... I think the majority of people think it's a mistake to take a RB in the first 2 rounds. When you combine that with the fact that we'll probably give Knowshon another year, one realizes our only shot at a decent starting back next year is in FA...

therefore... DeAngelo Williams, anyone?

Cunningham
12-20-2010, 11:44 PM
i'm leaning towards peterson at this point. it would seem that champ is as good as gone after this season and our secondary is in pretty atrocious shape. there's no question that having a good front seven is more important than having a good secondary, but given the fact that the new reigme will need to start from scratch to rebuild the entire defense, i wouldn't mind if we take peterson over the other two.

fairley would make a lot of sense if we switch to a 4-3. i don't think he's limited to playing the 3-technique, but i wouldn't want to spend that high of a pick on a guy who wouldn't be playing his natural position.

dareus has had an underwhelming season, although he certainly wouldn't be a bad pick.

Chris
12-21-2010, 01:44 PM
Can someone tell me why hiring John Elway would help at all? The man is a golden god, but what does him being able to throw a football like no other have to do with him turning our franchise around? Is he truly "Stanford" smart?

It is simple.

The Broncos fan base is pretty upset with how things have been going over the past five years since the AFCCG against Pittsburgh. Moreover, the past two years have been "Hell" for a lot of them.

Hiring John Elway is a face-saving gesture by Pat Bowlen in order to act like some sort of real difference is going to be made. It is just something to pep people up, to bring up a ghost of the past in order to make the fan base feel more comfortable of the direction of the team.

That is why you are also hearing rumors on Kubiak, Heimerdinger and other people connected to the Broncos in the past being possible HC candidates here. Bowlen has no balls. He is still living in 97-97 when it will indeed be 2011 in just a weeks. I can almost tell you with absolute certainty that the next hire in Denver will either be a cheap name or a familiar one.

Sucks.

Cunningham
12-21-2010, 05:23 PM
It is simple.

The Broncos fan base is pretty upset with how things have been going over the past five years since the AFCCG against Pittsburgh. Moreover, the past two years have been "Hell" for a lot of them.

Hiring John Elway is a face-saving gesture by Pat Bowlen in order to act like some sort of real difference is going to be made. It is just something to pep people up, to bring up a ghost of the past in order to make the fan base feel more comfortable of the direction of the team.

That is why you are also hearing rumors on Kubiak, Heimerdinger and other people connected to the Broncos in the past being possible HC candidates here. Bowlen has no balls. He is still living in 97-97 when it will indeed be 2011 in just a weeks. I can almost tell you with absolute certainty that the next hire in Denver will either be a cheap name or a familiar one.

Sucks.
pretty much. i'd be shocked if we didn't end up hiring kubiak or someone else with ties to the shanahan regime. it's pretty depressing to think about

49erNation85
12-22-2010, 04:14 PM
How do the rest of you guys feel about Tebow getting the start for the last game ? I can't wait until Sunday to see more of Tebow , Should be a fun game.I hope its on TV tho gr

Jimmy
12-22-2010, 11:49 PM
How do the rest of you guys feel about Tebow getting the start for the last game ? I can't wait until Sunday to see more of Tebow , Should be a fun game.I hope its on TV tho gr

I can't wait to see if he plays well or not so I can figure out if we can rule out luck.

12-23-2010, 05:09 AM
If Carolina wins another game and we don't, how does that shake out? Will we have 1st overall? If we do, that becomes one HELL of a tough decision. Luck is very clearly the top prospect in this draft and I don't think there's anyone worth taking over him.

12-23-2010, 07:32 AM
Yeah. Even without a wage scale I think there would be a few teams interested. A team like Arizona or San Fran might be really interested, depending on what happens with guys like McNabb and where they end up. I'm really glad we're giving Tebow his shot, cuz I'd be pissed if we were on the clock with Luck right there and we had no idea if Tebow could throw a pass.

DBNYDP
12-24-2010, 10:43 PM
Kind of hope we don't get first/Luck doesn't declare.
That spot is just hard to be put in.

Chris
12-25-2010, 09:27 PM
If we have a chance at Luck, (if we had the #1 overall or Carolina passed on him) I would certainly hope we would trade down and do whatever we can to fill other needs on the team.

Read today on Yahoo/NFP that the Broncos seem inclined to trade Orton next year, given that none of his contract his guaranteed and their willingness to see what Tebow can do.

I don't see us getting rid of Tebow. He is a cash cow for the organization and it would be bad both from a PR standpoint and regarding draft value to give up on a guy so easily. He showed he could play with his hands tied (great work, McCoy!) and give a solid effort in his first showing. I look forward to his next two games.

I hated his selection, but we are pretty much stuck with him.

I like Luck, but we have too many other needs on the team to address. A rookie QB (no matter how good) is not going to fix one of the worst defenses in NFL history. Not at all.

If Luck is on the board at our spot, you get a haul for him. You don't select him. Nope.

12-26-2010, 06:12 PM
Didn't catch today's game cuz Canada was playing, but WOO HOO. I don't get fans that wanna see their teams lose late in the season, with Denver now I'm not even hurt by losses anymore, but I jumped up when I saw that we won. I think with this team we're gonna gain more from winning a game late in the season than we're gonna gain from losing these games and getting a slightly higher draft pick. Winning only leads to winning.

Jimmy
12-26-2010, 06:13 PM
I was really hoping to lose out, I guess I forgot how good winning felt.

In any event, I wasn't particularly impressed by Tebow in a traditional sense. He missed throws that were medium to hard in difficulty, throws that true elite QB's would have nailed. Throws that your conventional QB would nail. His release is ugly and slow, and he throws too many jump balls...

Having that said, for whatever reason, I'm impressed how truly did lead us to a win. I don't know how he did it, I don't know why he's able to do what he does at the next level, but he's doing it. Sure, he threw for 308 yards, 307 off of screen passes, but just the fact that it worked in the NFL is getting me excited. (Albeit against the worst pass defense in the league) Just the fact that he can still do that whole Tebow "scramble around like an idiot and score" thing is exciting as well.

My biggest concern at this point is that it is inevitable that he will loose just as many of those jump balls as he wins. We're lucky to have a player the caliber of Lloyd to back him up. The law of averages will soon take over, and I think he will struggle against elite teams/in the playoffs (heh, that's a knee slapper) /against teams that prep well for him.

I just don't think great teams are going to have trouble containing him. Please Tim, prove me wrong.

DBNYDP
12-26-2010, 09:04 PM
I'll have to disagree with both of you. I actually was rather impressed on several fronts by his play. Obviously we saw that he could lead the team pretty well, but I actually didn't think he was bad in the traditional QB way. His motion still needs work/repetition, but it is 10 times better than it was last year. His reads for the most part were good. He threw a lot of great balls. I actually disagree with the jump ball thing, I didn't see too many of them (The 40 yard pass to Lloyd was underthrown, as well as a few other passes but..). He needs to work on throwing the fade, I think his arm strength isn't bad but it is erratic at times.
The guy is what he is, he is a rookie. He isn't perfect by any means but he got it done, and I think with time he is just going to produce more wins.

The key thing now is to hire a defensive minded coach who will replenish the talent on this defense. I think next year this is a team that can at least break even if the defense starts to get fixed.

Jimmy
12-26-2010, 09:44 PM
i oddly agree

ouch.

He threw a lot of great balls.

Well we can agree to disagree.Fade = Jump ball. He probably threw a good 4-6, and only completed one from what I remember. And yep, and that underthrown Lloyd ball should have been picked or at the very least broken up. Lloyd's got hops, but that guy on him played the ball atrociously. He did hit Gaffney for a 51 yarder, but I think 2 of 3 of starting QB's would have placed the ball in a spot where Gaffney would have scored. Maybe I'll take another look at it, though.

Quick summation of his big throws:

One of his 20 yarders to Buckhalter on that final drive was ridiculously easy, Buck was standing literally 10 feet in front of him, nobody near him. Two of his 20+ yard button hook completions to Lloyd were complete gimmies as well. Lloyd was completely open, you'd be hard pressed to find a D-2 college QB who wouldn't hit him in that situation. As for the TD to Buck, it was a screen. Will I give credit for Studesville? Yes. Will I give credit to Tebow for hitting throws that I could have made? No.

Oh, and now that I think about it, he had Gaffney completely open on a double move and threw it out of bounds. I'm really not trying to sound like an overly analytical prick, I'm just.. you know.. saying. None of his throws that went for yardage truly impressed me. You take away those easy throws, Tebow goes 11 for 23 with less than 200 yards and a pick. And that's solely on hb screens. It'll suffice versus the 32nd ranked passing defense, but it won't cut it in the NFL.

On a side note, I have no clue why Correll all of a sudden decided to take his job seriously. He was average for once. In addition, I was SO glad that Ball proved he's twice the back Slowshon will ever be.

Namy
12-26-2010, 11:55 PM
I was really hoping to lose out, I guess I forgot how good winning felt.

In any event, I wasn't particularly impressed by Tebow in a traditional sense. He missed throws that were medium to hard in difficulty, throws that true elite QB's would have nailed. Throws that your conventional QB would nail. His release is ugly and slow, and he throws too many jump balls...

Having that said, for whatever reason, I'm impressed how truly did lead us to a win. I don't know how he did it, I don't know why he's able to do what he does at the next level, but he's doing it. Sure, he threw for 308 yards, 307 off of screen passes, but just the fact that it worked in the NFL is getting me excited. (Albeit against the worst pass defense in the league) Just the fact that he can still do that whole Tebow "scramble around like an idiot and score" thing is exciting as well.

My biggest concern at this point is that it is inevitable that he will loose just as many of those jump balls as he wins. We're lucky to have a player the caliber of Lloyd to back him up. The law of averages will soon take over, and I think he will struggle against elite teams/in the playoffs (heh, that's a knee slapper) /against teams that prep well for him.

I just don't think great teams are going to have trouble containing him. Please Tim, prove me wrong.

Haven't been on this forum in forever. But this win definitely excited me! I'll come clean and say that I am a huge Tebow fan. With that said, I think I can still make a fair and objective analysis on his play.

Jimmy, I have to disagree with your post. We have to remember that he is a rookie. We can complain about how he missed a couple of standard throws, but let's be realistic. EVERY rookie QB will make those kind of mistakes.

This is not to say that your concerns are completely illegitimate. He is unconventional, so there is reason to doubt. Nevertheless, I think it's a bit overly-pessimistic to bemoan some of his passes and decision making after just two starts. These are difficulties that every rookie QB faces and must overcome by constantly practicing.

Last but not least, his ability to rush for yards and scramble away from the pass rush will always give him more time and larger windows in the passing game -- something that is not available to the "conventional/prototypical QB".