PDA

View Full Version : Denver Broncos Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13

Babylon
03-03-2011, 04:26 PM
is there a link? i haven't seen anything like that (not that it's not true, but i'd be interested in reading it)

I want to say it was on PFT. It was in the context of Timmy played well at the end of the year but was very raw. I think Elway implied that Orton will be the starter going into the season.

Diehard
03-03-2011, 04:26 PM
makes dareus seem a lot more likely...

It certainly does. It would also seem likely that they'll announce a deal with Vickerson and/or Thomas in the near future as well.

jCut
03-03-2011, 05:43 PM
Wow. 2010's free agency class was a complete bust. Another tally on McD's **** list. I called Williams leaving, but I didn't expect Bannan to be gone.

Chris
03-03-2011, 09:30 PM
seems like moch is a worse fit than miller, unless we want a pure rush down backer... or we think he can be had pretty late.

Fox probably seems a lot of similarities between Moch and Everette Brown.

I believe Miller is best suited in a 3-4 and isn't the best fit for our team, because essentially he is the same kind of player as Elvis Dumervil.

An attack style defense requires fast players who swarm to the ball. This team is devoid of quality pass rushers, so there is no surprise that these guys are on our radar.

I would not be surprised at all if Moch is a guy we look for in the second round.

Diehard
03-03-2011, 10:32 PM
I thought this might happen:

http://twitter.com/Denver_Broncos#

The Broncos have agreed to terms with defensive lineman Kevin Vickerson on a multi-year contract.

Jimmy
03-06-2011, 06:52 AM
The Perrish Cox preliminary trial is tomorrow, basically it will determine if the judge thinks there's enough evidence to go forward with the case.

fingers crossed

Timbathia
03-06-2011, 04:13 PM
The Perrish Cox preliminary trial is tomorrow, basically it will determine if the judge thinks there's enough evidence to go forward with the case.

fingers crossed

If he is guilty then I hope he goes to prison.

If he is not guilty, then I have my fingers crossed too that the judge throws it out tomorrow and Perrish can move on with getting ready for the season.

Diehard
03-08-2011, 01:32 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_17564839?source=rss

Auburn, who has two potential Top 5 picks in defensive tackle Nick Fairley and quarterback Cam Newton, is the first stop in a multi-campus tour for the Broncos' brain trust. The group will also visit Alabama (to see defensive tackle Marcell Dareus) and Texas A&M (to see linebacker Vonn Miller) this week. Dareus and Von Miller are also considered possible top five picks.

Diehard
03-09-2011, 12:11 AM
Apparently Champ and Patrick Peterson have been chatting:

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/25167/peterson-chats-of-bailey-union

Peterson, who earlier in the chat said Bailey has been among the NFL cornerbacks to contact with him, said he is on board. Here is Peterson’s response to the question:

“That would be wonderful to go there and help a veteran get over the hump and get a championship. Champ has been in the game a long time and he's thirsty to win a championship. I would be more than happy to line up beside him and achieve that goal that he wants and that I want as well.”

Diehard
03-09-2011, 12:38 AM
Apparently McCoy was at the Razorbacks' Pro Day:

http://arkansas.scout.com/2/1054233.html

TE DJ Williams would be the obvious reason for attending, though Tebow haters may have their fantasies that it was secretly all about watching Mallett throw.

Jimmy
03-09-2011, 08:53 AM
Apparently McCoy was at the Razorbacks' Pro Day:

http://arkansas.scout.com/2/1054233.html

TE DJ Williams would be the obvious reason for attending, though Tebow haters may have their fantasies that it was secretly all about watching Mallett throw.

so.... what would DJ Williams the linebacker's jersey say if we acquired the TE?

Diehard
03-09-2011, 10:18 AM
ew. with zach miller tendered at a 3rd, i'm not sure why we'd look at a te in the draft.

I assume the Raiders would match if we tried to sign him. Old Mr. Dawn of the Dead won't let one of his guys escape to the hated Broncos.

Despite the obvious focus on defense, I would expect the team to take an offensive player in the first 4 picks... TE being the most likely option (followed by RT and a bruiser RB).

Timbathia
03-09-2011, 04:14 PM
so.... what should DJ Williams the linebacker's jersey say if we acquired the TE?

"my first step is backwards" or is that too long for the back of a jersey?

Timbathia
03-09-2011, 06:39 PM
maybe, "what, you mean i'm not playing a deep zone on every single play?" but i think it might be longer.

how about "tackles from behind"?

Cunningham
03-09-2011, 09:13 PM
how about "tackles from behind"?
how about "i'm much more dangerous off the field than i am on the field because i like to drink and drive"

Timbathia
03-09-2011, 09:16 PM
how about "i'm much more dangerous off the field than i am on the field because i like to drink and drive"

sure, but it would become very important to have a HDTV so that you could read it.

Matthew Jones
03-15-2011, 01:42 PM
Anyone have thoughts on my first two picks as Denver in the group mock by divisions?

1. DT Marcell Dareus, Alabama*
2. NT Muhammad Wilkerson, Temple*

Diehard
03-16-2011, 12:32 AM
Anyone have thoughts on my first two picks as Denver in the group mock by divisions?

2. NT Muhammad Wilkerson, Temple*

That's some serious attention to the interior DL. Individually, the picks are very solid. Adding two young bulls like that would make many fans very happy.

I'd say the need areas remaining are LB and secondary, but keep an eye open for good value at TE, RB, OG and RT (assuming the mock is still going).

Matthew Jones
03-16-2011, 08:33 AM
Third pick ended up being FS Rahim Moore (UCLA.) Still one pick left to complete the rebuilding process.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
03-16-2011, 12:11 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81ec534b/article/washington-qb-locker-auditions-for-vikings-broncos-titans-up-next?module=HP_headlines

Why?

PS this article is so, so inaccurate on the easiest of levels. Why was this published?

Timbathia
03-16-2011, 03:16 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81ec534b/article/washington-qb-locker-auditions-for-vikings-broncos-titans-up-next?module=HP_headlines

Why?

PS this article is so, so inaccurate on the easiest of levels. Why was this published?

yeah, where did we get the 12th draft pick from?

Matthew Jones
03-18-2011, 07:21 AM
Final Broncos mock:

2. DT Muhammad Wilkerson, Temple*

2. FS Rahim Moore, UCLA*

3. CB Curtis Brown, Texas

Thoughts?

03-23-2011, 07:20 AM
yeah, where did we get the 12th draft pick from?

Apparently we just traded #2 for it straight up. That or this guy is an idiot. Also I really hope we don't give up on Tebow yet. I liked what I saw last season and I really feel he's gonna get better.

jCut
03-23-2011, 09:16 PM
Final Broncos mock:

2. DT Muhammad Wilkerson, Temple*

2. FS Rahim Moore, UCLA*

3. CB Curtis Brown, Texas

Thoughts?

Not bad. I really like Brown in the third. Also not a fan of Moore whatsoever.

SolidGold
04-03-2011, 07:37 PM
It seems the media is out to tear Tebow down again a year after he was drafted. Elway's comments about the QB situation are interesting, its hard to say if its anything more than smokescreen.

StrikeAnywhere
04-04-2011, 10:19 AM
I really REALLY hope it is just a smokescreen. You just can't judge a QB after his rookie season - especially a season that included only 3 starts. He needs an opportunity to go through an offseason and show what he can do before we go and pass judgement.

It comes down to the fact that we don't *know* what we have in him yet. We do know what we have for a defense, however, so that is where the picks should be spent.

This years QB class is kinda weird anyways... I agree with whoever it was I read that said they would hate to be a team that needs a QB this year, because they all have gigantic question marks, I wouldn't bet my franchise on any of them.

Jimmy
04-12-2011, 08:08 PM
Hey guys- check out this article I wrote for Bleacherreport.com
Admittedly, I do think DeAngelo is a year too old for my liking, and may cost a pretty penny. Still, I think the premium we pay for him is great because
1. We get a great player
2. It takes carries away from Knowshon
Check it out-
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/661965-deangelo-williams-the-next-great-denver-running-back-8-reasons

Jimmy
04-13-2011, 08:34 AM
sorry man, i'm trying to read it, but the horrific bleacher report format is making it really difficult.

i will admit that the format sucks. maybe next time i wont do the slideshow.
good news is it's only my first article and it's made front page of the broncos section. #winning

Diehard
04-13-2011, 11:59 AM
There seems to be some buzz that both Arizona and Washington have approached Denver about the #2 pick. Looks like both team wants Gabbert (expecting Carolina to take Newton).

Good for us if true...

Jimmy
04-13-2011, 01:21 PM
There seems to be some buzz that both Arizona and Washington have approached Denver about the #2 pick. Looks like both team wants Gabbert (expecting Carolina to take Newton).

Good for us if true...

first off, i feel terrible for carolina. they're going to take a quarterback who is clearly going to be a bust. i don't think i've ever been more certain about a #1 pick not panning out.

second off, im sure every team in the top 5 has gotten several calls, it's just a matter of who chooses to release that to the press.

in denver's case, telling the press that they are getting calls would suggest that like you said, a team is making a move for a quarterback.

it would follow that if a team wanted a quarterback, they would need to leapfrog denver to #1. thus, by saying that they are getting calls, denver is actually increasing the chances to get their selection dareus, peterson, or miller at #2, guaranteed.

or.. they could really want to trade down. i just dont like this speculation.

Diehard
04-13-2011, 04:11 PM
or.. they could really want to trade down. i just dont like this speculation.

It's really all there is at this time of year. Until we get to the eve of the draft (which is when we'll start getting some good info), everything that comes out is highly suspect.

The nice thing about the speculation is that it's all good for Denver. Someone trades to #1 to grab a QB? Win - we get our guy on defense. Someone trades with us to grab a QB at #2? Win - we get the picks we need.

JBCX
04-13-2011, 09:44 PM
Hmm. Maybe Shanahan wants to package McNabb with a lower-round pick to move up for Denver's #2 pick.

Jimmy
04-13-2011, 10:21 PM
Hmm. Maybe Shanahan wants to package McNabb with a lower-round pick to move up for Denver's #2 pick.

i've been posting here for quite a while i like to think. and that. right there. ^^
may be the most... uninformed post i've ever read.

edit: i really hope you mean their second round pick and not their #2 pick in the first. because that would make you slightly less out of it.

JBCX
04-14-2011, 03:22 PM
Well, it sounds like a bad deal for Denver, and it probably is, but Elway might be willing to do Shanahan a big favor, if you get my drift.

Timbathia
04-15-2011, 01:11 AM
I am actually now completely sick of reading articles, blogs and everything else about what we will do. I just want the next two weeks to hurry the **** up so we can select someone.

on a side note - how good are the Rockies?

Namy
04-16-2011, 03:46 PM
on a side note - how good are the Rockies?

Amazing! Although, Tulo's numbers worry me some. They're almost too good, as in steroids good. But yes, we'll be contending for a world series this year that's for sure (barring any major injuries).

Timbathia
04-16-2011, 04:26 PM
Amazing! Although, Tulo's numbers worry me some. They're almost too good, as in steroids good. But yes, we'll be contending for a world series this year that's for sure (barring any major injuries).

It is sad but true that these sorts of things cant help but pop into your head. Just like any cyclist that wins a stage in the tour or any athlete that wins a gold at the olympics - must be drugs.

49erNation85
04-19-2011, 07:38 PM
Updated Mock for Final forum mock .Hey guys I'm working on doing a full seven round mock for the final forum mock. Here is who we drafted so far for Denver.

Marcell Dareus DT/Alabama
Stephen Paea DT/Oregon State
Danny Watkins OG/Baylor

Diehard
04-20-2011, 02:14 PM
Updated Mock for Final forum mock .Hey guys I'm working on doing a full seven round mock for the final forum mock. Here is who we drafted so far for Denver.

Marcell Dareus DT/Alabama
Stephen Paea DT/Oregon State
Danny Watkins OG/Baylor

Looks good to me.

Diehard
04-20-2011, 02:28 PM
Did anyone see the Elway/Xanders press conference that was streamed online earlier today?

It was actually pretty interesting and provided a clear picture of the draft process this year.

Of course, they were somewhat guarded about intentions... they spoke highly of all the major prospects. However, it seemed to me that Xanders relaxed a lot when the topic of Patrick Peterson came up and the way they talked about him was a little more personal... like there was a good connection there. Coincidentally, those comments were the only ones related to a top prospect that were *not* subsequently posted on the team's Twitter site. Btw, I don't really believe in coincidences.

Here's my prediction now - we're looking to trade down a few spots (Arizona?) to pick up PP. I'd like that result but it would be costly... costly for me, that is, as I'd definitely have to pick up a Peterson jersey.

Timbathia
04-20-2011, 10:49 PM
Dropping back to get Miller, PP or Fairley would be fantastic IMO.

Diehard
04-26-2011, 10:45 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/JasonLaCanfora

The league's designated ****** has a bunch of stuff up on twitter about Washington trading up to #2 to grab Gabbert. I heard similar rumblings last week. Given the Elway - Shanahan connection, this definitely doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility. Washington would pay a pretty heavy price to make that move.

Roddoliver
04-26-2011, 11:11 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/JasonLaCanfora

The league's designated ****** has a bunch of stuff up on twitter about Washington trading up to #2 to grab Gabbert. I heard similar rumblings last week. Given the Elway - Shanahan connection, this definitely doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility. Washington would pay a pretty heavy price to make that move.

1) The Redskins have very limited ammo

2) Shanahan is very quiet about his draft intentions especially if he is targeting a franchise QB (remember Jay Cutler?)

A lot of rumors are flying around, hard to believe in this one.

Diehard
04-27-2011, 10:27 AM
1) The Redskins have very limited ammo

2) Shanahan is very quiet about his draft intentions especially if he is targeting a franchise QB (remember Jay Cutler?)

Shanny/Broncos - yes, quiet. But the Redskins are quite a different organization.

In a way, Washington's limited ammo is a positive. They are going to have a thin draft in any case:

1 (010)
2 (041)
5 (144)
5 (155)
6 (177)
7 (213)
7 (224)
7 (253)

Essentially, they'd be swapping their 2 top picks for 1, then throwing in some later round stuff as well as future picks (which might be worthless, depending on the whole labor situation works out). Given their generally callous disregard for draft picks, I see this being possible.

SolidGold
04-27-2011, 12:11 PM
If that rumor is true I think the Broncos could get a quality defensive player at 10 and it would go down as yet another stupid move by the redskins front office.

Diehard
04-27-2011, 12:51 PM
If that rumor is true I think the Broncos could get a quality defensive player at 10 and it would go down as yet another stupid move by the redskins front office.

I think Fairley would be the target. That may seem late, but consistent with the other active trade rumor (with Houston, who have pick 11). If you believe the buzz about the Titans going QB in round 1, then Fairley can easily end up in the Broncos hands at 10/11.

CT Bronco Fan
04-27-2011, 04:27 PM
Schefter just reported he expects the Broncos to take Von Miller with the 2nd pick.

Thoughts?

Diehard
04-27-2011, 04:57 PM
Miller could be a great pick *if* we are willing to put a scheme in place that makes good use of him. The vanilla John Fox 4-3 cover 2/cover 3 won't get it done, though.

Some of the media folks are being fed Miller to the Broncos and it's been going on for a week or so. Notice Mayock changed his tune from "Dareus is a slam dunk" to "Miller or Peterson"? It sure seems like Denver wants to be linked to all the top defensive prospects as well as the QB's... which sounds to me like they are really working the trade down angle hard.

Diehard
04-27-2011, 05:33 PM
i think it would cement dj in the middle. without some studs at DT, he'll be exposed for yet another year as a mediocre run stopper. that's the only reason i don't like that pick.

unsurprisingly, i guess, i tend to think of the worst case scenario. :P

When we pick Mason Foster at 46, he'll take care of the middle. DJ can go back to the weakside where he belongs.

Cunningham
04-27-2011, 05:45 PM
figures.

well, another year of defensive suckitude, on the way.
i'm guessing you don't like miller because of the position he'd play, or do you just not like him as a prospect?

jCut
04-28-2011, 12:34 AM
No way Fairley lasts to #10. It won't happen. Mason Foster to Denver at #46 sounds about right, though.

jCut
04-28-2011, 12:36 AM
I also don't like the idea of picking a SLB at #2, and then having to change our defense to fit his strengths. Sounds like a terrible idea.

edit: double post sry

Jimmy
04-28-2011, 07:51 PM
http://www.jpbeato.net/wordpress/jpbeato%20von%20miller%202.jpg

Diehard
04-28-2011, 11:19 PM
The pick works for me. I was a little surprised we weren't able to work a trade down, but after hearing John Fox's post-draft comments, it really doesn't sound like they expected, or even wanted, to move down.

I missed the first part of the presser so I don't know if there were any scheme questions asked... but the pick says to me that Dennis Allen is building a pressure defense more along the lines of what we saw in NO than Fox's traditional 4-3 cover 2.

Timbathia
04-28-2011, 11:25 PM
The pick works for me. I was a little surprised we weren't able to work a trade down, but after hearing John Fox's post-draft comments, it really doesn't sound like they expected, or even wanted, to move down.

I missed the first part of the presser so I don't know if there were any scheme questions asked... but the pick says to me that Dennis Allen is building a pressure defense more along the lines of what we saw in NO than Fox's traditional 4-3 cover 2.

Arguments about value at #2 aside - we got a fantastic prospect at a position we are atrocious at.

I am very interested to see what happens with our next two picks, as DT, OT, RB, TE, and who knows what else are all possibilities.

CT Bronco Fan
04-28-2011, 11:29 PM
Anyone else think Von Miller looks like Steve Urkel?

Jimmy
04-28-2011, 11:39 PM
I am very interested to see what happens with our next two picks, as DT, OT, RB, TE, and who knows what else are all possibilities.
Here's the list im sure we're running with for #46
Paea
Rahim Moore
Daniel Thomas
Mikel Leshoure
Da'Quan Bowers (Scared, but a possibility)
Marvin Austin
Quinton Carter

Diehard
04-28-2011, 11:42 PM
Arguments about value at #2 aside - we got a fantastic prospect at a position we are atrocious at.

If Miller was a traditional 4-3 LB, then the positional value would be dubious (a la Aaron Curry). But he's not. If we use him heavily as a pass rusher/blitzer in a hybrid 4-3/3-3-5, the positional value is just fine.

In terms of talent, he's right at the top of the pile with Peterson.

Look for muscle inside on defense. We've got lots of edge rush. Now we need a big bull or two to push the pocket back and stop the run.

I don't think TE will happen tomorrow - Rudolph will probably end up in St Louis and I think our 3rd rounder will probably go to addressing some other offensive position (OG, RB).

The RB situation is very interesting - there's lots of depth and the teams in the first half of the second look like they have other fish to fry (QB, DT, WR, CB). Looks like there's going to be some very nice value to be had from the late 2nd - 4th.

Look for a trade back from 36. The team wants another pick or two in the 3rd - 5th range.

CT Bronco Fan
04-29-2011, 12:27 AM
UnZSceCN5Yg

Seeing Von and Elvis on 3rd downs is going to be entertaining. Hard to get upset with this pick.

I wonder if we grab Bowers tomorrow too.

Diehard
04-29-2011, 12:46 AM
I wonder if we grab Bowers tomorrow too.

I have to believe there is something *seriously* wrong with his knee to free fall out of round 1. If the doctor says "his knee's shot", is drafting him at any point a wise idea?

villagewarrior
04-29-2011, 03:07 AM
Chiefs fan here, I'm glad you guys didn't get Dareus, however I'm dreading the thought that Denver may come away with Miller and Bowers in the first 2 rounds. If Bowers can recover from his knee deal, and if Dumerville can recover you guys will have a sick pass rush.

SuperPacker
04-29-2011, 05:07 AM
Hey Packers fan here. All of you moaning. Would you rather have Von Miller and Marvin Austin (two blue chip players) or Dareus and a rubbish OLB??

Now your gonna have two future probowlers. You cant complain.

04-29-2011, 07:38 AM
Anyone else think Von Miller looks like Steve Urkel?

Yeah, that's racist.

Jimmy
04-29-2011, 08:10 AM
that's racist.

http://sfwgifs.com/gif/thats-racist

Diehard
04-29-2011, 10:02 AM
this honestly scares me. if we trade back from 36, i'm guessing we miss on every single decent DT prospect left, and are left having to overdraft a 3rd/4th round guy at the end of the second just to actually come away with a body at the position (then again, i really dislike the 9-13 guys in scott's rankings). better to drop back from 46, imo.

Fair enough. It will certainly be interesting to see how this plays out. Two DT's in the next 3 picks would certainly win over the masses... but I'd really like to see a potential MLB creep in here as well.

Poz51
04-29-2011, 10:55 AM
Who in the Bronco's organization besides John Elway do I sent the thank you card and fruit basket too?

Poz51
04-29-2011, 11:36 AM
xanders, again.

irrelevant of my feelings on this year's draft, i have no idea why he's still employed.

A great friend of mine is a Broncos fan, and his thinking is along your lines. He also thought with McDaniels gone things would get better draft wise. I hope you guys end up with some combination of Paea and Austin/Ballard/Casey or even McClain in the second round. That way Williams and Miller have some protection in front of them. I do think that with the depth at DT (especially 4-3 types) it wasnt horrible to pass on Dareus, but I liked his fit in the 4-3 better than Millers. As we learned last year (and the year before) pass rushers are useless when the opposing team runs the ball down your throat.
We have Modrak here who I feel the same way about, not sure how he has made it through the last decade with a job.
Regardless, this is the first time in almost 2 decades the Bills took the guy I thought was best for them, and wanted myself. I hope Xander and Co. do it right in the second round for you all.

Diehard
04-29-2011, 12:32 PM
I do think that with the depth at DT (especially 4-3 types) it wasnt horrible to pass on Dareus, but I liked his fit in the 4-3 better than Millers. As we learned last year (and the year before) pass rushers are useless when the opposing team runs the ball down your throat.

3-tech run stoppers can be found elsewhere in the draft. This kind of elite explosiveness Miller brings to the table cannot.

I'm anticipating the 3-3-5 and 46 experience Dennis Allen brings will be integrated into the new defensive scheme. Miller will get plenty of opportunity to attack (while still having a credible all-around game).

Cunningham
04-29-2011, 12:56 PM
i'm really hoping that we pass on bowers. his knee issue is obviously very serious, and we'd be neglecting to take an inside player.

that being said, marvin austin may be the one guy that i want the least. the dude is the second coming of marcus thomas, and i have a gut feeling that we're going to take him. *knock on wood*

CT Bronco Fan
04-29-2011, 02:45 PM
Yeah, that's racist.

http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/6117/vonmiller.png

http://www.mamapop.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/steve-urkel1.jpg

I'm just sayin!

Diehard
04-29-2011, 03:53 PM
that being said, marvin austin may be the one guy that i want the least. the dude is the second coming of marcus thomas, and i have a gut feeling that we're going to take him. *knock on wood*

I'm thinking Jarvis Jenkins from Clemson might be our DT in the second. Big guy, stout at the point, decent bull rusher, good instincts.

Another guy to keep an eye on is Martez Wilson. He strikes me as a John Fox LB - fast, athletic. If he slides to 46, he may end up a Bronco.

EFX have been clear that they aren't going to reach, so look for high talent selections even if the need and scheme fits seem somewhat dubious.

04-29-2011, 05:28 PM
http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/6117/vonmiller.png

http://www.mamapop.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/steve-urkel1.jpg

I'm just sayin!

Maybe the current, jacked Urkel.

http://www.trailershut.com/actor-images/jaleel-white-4547.jpg

I can see the resemblance there. Urkel's chin is longer and narrower though.

Timbathia
04-29-2011, 08:58 PM
I know that the masses will be appalled at the lack of a DT so far in the draft - however, I actually think this is going well. Von Miller, Irving, DJ Williams as our LBs are a good fit for this type of defense, and Moore gives us a safety that can create turnovers. Add in a road-grader replacement for Harris, which is key considering we are going back to a run-first offense.

They will all be starters and suit the type of schemes we will be playing.

Diehard
04-29-2011, 09:37 PM

Which is exactly what Fox was talking about. S, MLB, SLB and one OL spot (RT or LG, depending on where they like Beadles best) were all positions where we lacked an obvious long term starter... and now they've all been solidly taken care of.

It will be interesting to see if there are some sleeper DT's they like tomorrow, or if they feel FA is the best way of addressing that position.

Cunningham
04-29-2011, 09:38 PM
I know that the masses will be appalled at the lack of a DT so far in the draft - however, I actually think this is going well. Von Miller, Irving, DJ Williams as our LBs are a good fit for this type of defense, and Moore gives us a safety that can create turnovers. Add in a road-grader replacement for Harris, which is key considering we are going back to a run-first offense.

i'm very happy as well. i think franklin might play lg and we'll kick beadles out to rt, though.

fox talked about coming away with four day one starters with our first four picks, and it looks like that came to fruition.

Timbathia
04-29-2011, 10:01 PM
Quotes from Fox basically said that he would have felt better if he could of got a DT he wanted, but they didnt fall. Also said there are some FA DTs available, a few prospects still to be had later in the draft, and that he felt we did currently have guys on the roster that could start.

How well would Ballard fit? Wonder if trading up to the start of the 4th for him is an option.

Jimmy
04-29-2011, 11:04 PM
How well would Ballard fit? Wonder if trading up to the start of the 4th for him is an option.

Anyone from the 4th on is a 3rd day pick for a reason; they won't be starting soon, nor will they ever likely make a huge impact. If were going to get our guy it will be next year or in FA.
Personally, I'm sick of Chris Baker/Marcus Thomas prospects anyway, and wouldn't care to invest such a big responsibility/gap in a player who isn't that great. We made a mistake by not taking a DT, but weirdly enough, we got the best D player in the draft, and addressed 3 other big needs. Can't be too upset, and I guess it goes to show that this team had a huge amount of holes. It would be unreasonable to think we could plug them all in one half a draft anyway.

Namy
04-30-2011, 12:30 AM
Initially, I was disappointed that we didn't take Dareus or Peterson. But seeing what the Broncos did in Day 2, their strategy makes sense. It seems like they did their homework.

By the way, are there any "notable" DT's in FA this year?

jCut
04-30-2011, 01:46 AM
I'm sorry, but failing to come away with any defensive lineman will end up being a huge mistake. I thought that was the strength of this draft.. Way to take advantage of that Denver.

DBNYDP
04-30-2011, 03:48 AM
I really hope the Broncos are smart enough to not use Miller as a traditional SAM, and be used even more than a 3rd down rusher. If I'm the Broncos I'm basically going to run a 4-2, and then have Miller playing the edge on either side, so he can pursue/blitz every play, best use of his talent IMO. Asking him to drop into coverage and asking him to shed blocks in terms of the running game is ridiculous.
If we can sign Mebane I'll be happy, I think Thomas comes back but seriously why we didn't abuse the DT position in this years draft is beyond me.
Even in the second round...Paea and Austin not only filled our biggest needs, but they were arguably the BPAs.

Timbathia
04-30-2011, 04:18 AM
I really hope the Broncos are smart enough to not use Miller as a traditional SAM, and be used even more than a 3rd down rusher. If I'm the Broncos I'm basically going to run a 4-2, and then have Miller playing the edge on either side, so he can pursue/blitz every play, best use of his talent IMO. Asking him to drop into coverage and asking him to shed blocks in terms of the running game is ridiculous.
If we can sign Mebane I'll be happy, I think Thomas comes back but seriously why we didn't abuse the DT position in this years draft is beyond me.
Even in the second round...Paea and Austin not only filled our biggest needs, but they were arguably the BPAs.

I understand the sentiment that Miller's "best" use is to blitz most plays - but he is fast, extremely agile and can tackle. Obviously at the senior bowl and combine he was convincing enough to Fox and co that he can handle the coverage aspect of the SAM. I dont mind the idea of him playing a more traditional SAM on first and second down, as he should end up pretty good at it and be able to make plays, and then have him playing end on third down.

Diehard
04-30-2011, 09:19 AM

Who knows who was "BPA" according to the Broncos draft chart. It wasn't like those players were immediately snatched up by the next team. The Rams and Colts both needed interior DL and they chose instead to reinforce their offensive front lines following our selection of Franklin.

There are reasons not to like both Austin (attitude) and Paea (knee/size). Obviously those were bigger factors in the Broncos' evaluations than some fans would like.

Diehard
04-30-2011, 09:54 AM
Things to look for today:

* There was a rumor last night that a RB the Broncos really like is still on the board, and that if he makes it to 108 then we'll take him for sure.

* I've also heard that Christian Ballard is on our radar.

* I can definitely see us using one of our 6th rounders to move up in round 4 or 5.

* As in days 1 and 2, the Broncos are sticking to their board so don't expect much in the way of reaching for need.

Cunningham
04-30-2011, 01:17 PM
expecting a TE in 5/6.
there's your tight end.

i'm really loving this draft! it looks like we'll be addressing rb (williams?) and dt through free agency

King Carls 5 Year Plan
05-01-2011, 04:43 PM
i know everyone is calling Von Miller the next DT. he definitely looks the part so far. i imagine Elway still has nightmares about DT. that is a pretty good reason to draft Von. if a QB of Elways caliber feels that adding a top end pass rusher to the mix is a good way of disrupting the opposing offenses, then that's good enough for me. if Von turns out to be half as good as DT, he was worth the pick. if he turns into the next DT, then you guys will be finding room at New Mile High to drape the new Championship banners.

sick him after Rivers and whatever Raider trash QB they throw on the field. try and keep him off of Cassel. oh how things have changed. Chiefs #58 used to sack Broncos #7. now, Broncos #58 tries to sack Chiefs #7

Diehard
05-03-2011, 11:04 AM
Interesting read on our draft strategy:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17978871

The surprising decline in interest in quarterback Blaine Gabbert among the top-10 drafting teams cost the Broncos the chance of trading back from the No. 2 draft slot for a later first-round selection and additional high-round picks.

Texas A&M's Von Miller, drafted in the No. 2 slot by the Broncos, was the team's top choice at least since mid-February.

The Broncos were talking about trading into the first round to get Fairley, but they decided the cost would have been prohibitive unless he slid into the 20s.

The Broncos believe they got the best safety in the second round and the second-best in the fourth. It was those 1-2 rankings of Moore and Carter that led the Broncos to go safety instead of, say, defensive tackle.

The only two positional needs the Broncos identified entering the offseason that weren't addressed in the draft were defensive tackle and running back.

jth1331
05-03-2011, 11:05 AM
I understand the sentiment that Miller's "best" use is to blitz most plays - but he is fast, extremely agile and can tackle. Obviously at the senior bowl and combine he was convincing enough to Fox and co that he can handle the coverage aspect of the SAM. I dont mind the idea of him playing a more traditional SAM on first and second down, as he should end up pretty good at it and be able to make plays, and then have him playing end on third down.

No, the only way taking Miller at #2 makes sense if he blitzes a majority of the snaps. I sure hope we plan on having Miller "blitz" most of the time.

I am pleased with the draft but good lord we are terrible at DT. I'd rather take Paea in the 2nd round than get Franklin.

Diehard
05-03-2011, 11:45 AM
I am pleased with the draft but good lord we are terrible at DT. I'd rather take Paea in the 2nd round than get Franklin.

Paea never fit the mould - Fox likes his DT's big and coming off an injury doesn't help either. We needed a road grader RT. We got one.

DT will be addressed by veteran acquisitions. Barry Cofield from the Giants would be an excellent choice.

Namy
05-03-2011, 10:28 PM
Crazy picture of Von Miller and how much he grew at Texas A&M.

http://twitpic.com/4sf7md

Jimmy
05-06-2011, 08:25 PM
I was just thinking... I miss seeing the mile high salute. Sad how our last true back to use it was Mike Anderson in '05. No Broncos fan should have to go over half a decade without seeing one of our most cherished rituals.

Too bad we got rid of the one guy who actually tried to bring it back. (Hillis)

Diehard
05-07-2011, 09:31 AM
I was just thinking... I miss seeing the mile high salute. Sad how our last true back to use it was Mike Anderson in '05. No Broncos fan should have to go over half a decade without seeing one of our most cherished rituals.

Too bad we got rid of the one guy who actually tried to bring it back. (Hillis)

Yeah, I feel the same way. It was something unique and the military element appealed to me. Perhaps one of our young receivers will consider renewing this particular tradition (Decker?).

Diehard
05-07-2011, 09:53 AM
Defense has been a hot topic recently in the local media.

During an interview on 104.3, Xanders outlined the "current" LB corps to be:

WILL - Williams, Woodyard
MIKE - Mays, Irving
SAM - Miller, Mohamed

He said they'd carry 6 or 7 LBs - if 7, then the last guy will be a special teams ace. Notice no mention of Haggan or a bunch of the scrubs we currently have on the roster. Looks to be plenty of housecleaning going on (which is good).

At DT, someone (can't remember if it was Xanders or Fox) said they like Vickerson at 3-tech and are looking for options at NT. Xanders talked about Brandon Mebane (Seahawks RFA) as being "stout" and "hard to push off the ball", indicating he would play NT if he was in Denver's scheme.

As for the scheme itself:

"You can call it anything you want," Fox said, "but we're going to line up and try to stop people and try to take the ball away. It's a 4-3 defense, but it will look like a lot of things."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17993382

Sounds like a bit of a hybrid, which isn't much of a surprise considering our new DC's background (46, 3-3-5). I'm thinking we'll see a good dose of 4-3 under as well - gives Doom 1-on-1 opportunities on the weak side and brings Miller up to the LOS to make full use of his burst.

Jimmy
05-09-2011, 05:05 PM
A couple of bold predictions for the 2011 season.

1. Jabar Gaffney will be our leading receiver.
Gaffney was a bogus call away from eclipsing 900 yards last season, he still finished with an impressive 850 yards (approx.) Gets no respect.

With Mcdaniels' pass happy offense gone, Demaryius out for a while, and teams likely paying a little more attention to B. Lloyd, Gaffney and Eddie Royal are the remaining WR's, and I look to the guy who put up the best numbers last year.

2. Darcel McBath will be the runner up for squad DMVP, second to #24. I don't know how confident I am in Doom posting 12+ sacks. While I think he certainly is capable of even 15, I think he'll put up a modest 10 or so. I think somebody is in line to explode in what will likely be Champ's last solid year at CB, and I don't think that person is gonna be Ayers, Von, Perrish, Sydquan, Mays, or you name it. I do think McBath will step it up and show why he was a 2nd round pick a few years ago.

3. Lance Ball or a player not yet on the roster will be the starting RB by week 6.

No explanation needed.

4. If we are one of the 2 worst teams in the league, we will draft Andrew Luck.

5. Despite Orton being on the hot seat, Denver will cut Brady Quinn based on merit. Sadly, that will leave the team with just 2 quarterbacks, making any move difficult.

jCut
05-11-2011, 01:20 PM
2. Darcel McBath will be the runner up for squad DMVP, second to #24. I don't know how confident I am in Doom posting 12+ sacks. While I think he certainly is capable of even 15, I think he'll put up a modest 10 or so. I think somebody is in line to explode in what will likely be Champ's last solid year at CB, and I don't think that person is gonna be Ayers, Von, Perrish, Sydquan, Mays, or you name it. I do think McBath will step it up and show why he was a 2nd round pick a few years ago.

I don't think McBath will even be able to beat out Rahim Moore. I see a Moore - Dawk tandem with McBath as a backup.

Jimmy
06-10-2011, 04:59 PM
Guys, I'm writing a 2011 season preview and would like your always helpful insight on position battles.

WR (w/ no Demaryius)
DT
CB
S

What do you think the depth chart will look like at these positions on opening day/ who wont make the roster?

Jimmy
06-12-2011, 11:40 AM
Hey guys...
Just wanted to link you to the article I wrote for this upcoming season (knock on wood). Just wanted some constructive criticism, so feel free to blast away.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/727266-2011-denver-broncos-53-man-roster-the-comprehensive-guide

Jimmy
06-12-2011, 03:23 PM
rahim's a FS (on the depth chart, i see where you list him there later). i also don't get the 'hate' for royal, given that he was underutilized because he was firmly in mcdaniels dog house.

also, really? you think *chris kuper* is better than clady? that's... shocking.

I couldn't figure out rahim... They say Renaldo Hill is going to take PT away from him.. Hill's a SS... And then everyone claims he's going to succeed Dawkins.. who is a FS.. or is he a SS?

The issue with Royal is that he's obviously not going to start over Lloyd, and I think Decker is better suited for #2 if he passes gaffney. Maybe gaffney will slide past royal to #4?

Seriously though, how many more "wait till next year" type years does eddie have left in him, especially at #4? I guess if B. Lloyd could do it, Eddie can.

As for Kuper being better than clady, we all know it isn't true. You called me on my ****, I guess. I made a statement to create a splash, but upon realizing it... there's really nothing I can say to back it up. Although I do think he's underrated.

edit: and yes, i guess putting a picture of eddie royal appearing to be dead as the article thumbnail is a bit too hard on him.

Diehard
06-13-2011, 11:23 AM
Hey guys...
Just wanted to link you to the article I wrote for this upcoming season (knock on wood). Just wanted some constructive criticism, so feel free to blast away.

I think you missed a bit on the FB analysis - it seemed too focused on what things were like under McD. The fact is, we will use a FB a lot more this year. We're also likely to bring in help at this spot... someone like Mike Karney would be a cheap, effective upgrade.

As for the WR's, Royal's weakness seems to be reading the coverage. If the coaching staff are too stubborn to make the system fit the player (a la McD), then he'll continue to struggle.

I think rating the WR corps a "C" is rather pessimistic. IMO, it's one of the strengths of the team. Even the guys who are clinging to the bottom of the depth chart (Willis, Britt Davis) have potential. Thomas' injury situation is unfortunate, but I think the team could easily afford to sit him for the year so he can come back fully healthy next time.

I don't agree at all with your assessment of Beadles - he was definitely the most effective of our young linemen and looked pretty good once he finally got to settle in at G. He didn't take a lot of penalties and was sometimes the only guy getting a push in the run game. Hanging the bad rushing performance on him is not accurate - the two biggest problems IMO were 1) McD's offensive scheme / playcalling and 2) lack of continuity along the line due to injuries.

DT - Vickerson is actually a pretty decent player. If we put him beside a someone solid (e.g. Mebane or Cofield) I think he'll be fine. He's not good enough to carry the interior DL, though, so an upgrade here is pretty critical.

S - Hill is the one who played centerfield, so he's really the FS regardless of official titles. I think we'll see a lot of both safeties playing in coverage downfield - that's very much the classic Fox cover-2. Scheme-wise, Dawkins looks like the odd guy out to me - he may end up being a "starter" in name only with the young guys getting the lion's share of the playing time.

Jimmy
06-13-2011, 07:52 PM
I think rating the WR corps a "C" is rather pessimistic. IMO, it's one of the strengths of the team. Even the guys who are clinging to the bottom of the depth chart (Willis, Britt Davis) have potential. Thomas' injury situation is unfortunate, but I think the team could easily afford to sit him for the year so he can come back fully healthy next time.

As much as I like to think we're an above average receiving corps, I think school grade inflation has really ****ed up what everyone's opinion of a true C is.

It's funny, because I had them at a B- first, but then realized I needed to stay true to my scale. If I was a teacher, I'd be that old guy that pisses everyone off because he believes in the bell-curve. I like to have as many F's as A's. Mind you I can't stand, can't stand, can't stand how, when 90% of draft experts do their post draft ratings, 80-90% of the grades are C's and up. Really Fox News? Just 1 team had a below average draft? 6 teams had average drafts? 25 teams had above average to great drafts? There's no point in a grading system if the scale on which it is based is flawed.

As much as I would like to think we have an above average squad, we're simply average, and I'll copy and paste something to add on to that in a bit.

Someone commented on my article saying the same thing you said. I had to respond and show him what I place at the beginning of my story:

The Position grade scale will go as follows.

A: Top 20% of the league

B: Top 21-40% of league

C- Middle 41-60% of the league

D- Bottom 61-80%

F- Last 81-100%

I then commented:

As for rating our WR's a B, there are at least 12, if not 16-20 recieving corps with better receivers than our Broncos.
Teams that undeniably have a better WR corps (no order)

1.Cowboys (D Bryant, R Williams, M Austin)
2.Packers (Jennings, Driver, James Jones, J. Nelson)
3. Giants (Nicks, Smith, Manningham)
4. Cardinals (Fitzgerald, Breaston, Doucet)
5. Falcons (R. White, J. Jones, M. Jenkins, H. Douglass)
6. Saints (Colston, Moore, Meachem, Henderson)
7. Ravens (Boldin, Mason, Housh)
8. Colts (Wayne, Garcon, Collie)
9. Jets (Holmes, Edwards, Cotchery)
10. Vikings (S. Rice, Harvin, Berrian)
11. Eagles (Jackson, Maclin)
12. Steelers (Wallace, Ward, E. Sanders, Randle El)

That's 12 of 32 teams. That means that at this very moment, Denver would grade out at the top 38% of the league, and, according to my first page, that's already only a B-. C's go to those teams with grades in the 40-60% range, and at least a third of the teams below have better WR corps than Denver does. That effectively makes Denver an average WR Corps, at a C, C+ tops.

Redskins (S. Moss, Hankerson, A. Armstrong,
Dolphins (Marshall, Bess, Hartline)
Bills (S. Johnson, Lee Evans, R. Perrish)
Panthers (S. Smith, AJ Green)
Bears (Hester, Knox, Bennett)
Lions (C. Johnson, N. Burleson)
Patriots (Welker, Branch)
Bucs (Williams, Benn, Stroughter)
Titans (Britt, Gage, Moss, Nate Washington)

Jimmy
06-15-2011, 01:42 AM
Hey guys.. Sorry for bombarding you with my stuff..
I swear.. this one is a humor article.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/733425-soundtrack-of-the-2011-broncos/page/10

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
06-15-2011, 12:04 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/06/15/brady-quinn-wants-in-on-qb-competition/

The money quote
“I want to be No. 1,” Quinn told Mike Klis of the Denver Post after joining Broncos player-only practices for the first time Tuesday. “I feel they [Orton and Tebow] both had a chance last year and I didn’t get an opportunity. I’d love to get an opportunity to help us win games and get this team to the playoffs and see what happens from there.”

Awww how cute he wants his turn. Waiting anxiously for njx9's response.

ArkyRamsFan
06-15-2011, 12:05 PM
As much as I like to think we're an above average receiving corps, I think school grade inflation has really ****ed up what everyone's opinion of a true C is.

It's funny, because I had them at a B- first, but then realized I needed to stay true to my scale. If I was a teacher, I'd be that old guy that pisses everyone off because he believes in the bell-curve. I like to have as many F's as A's. Mind you I can't stand, can't stand, can't stand how, when 90% of draft experts do their post draft ratings, 80-90% of the grades are C's and up. Really Fox News? Just 1 team had a below average draft? 6 teams had average drafts? 25 teams had above average to great drafts? There's no point in a grading system if the scale on which it is based is flawed.

Rams fan here.

This is a terrific point. I've been wondering about the so-called grading scale myself. Seems like the "No Child Left Behind" philosophy has infested the NFL Draft for whatever reason.

If all of these teams were really drafting as well as their grades assume there would not be anywhere near the levels of suck that we see in the league every year.

Or am I missing something? Yeah, certainly Free Agency plays a role as does injuries, but still the general rule is that the teams that draft well (and apparently this has little to do with their grades) do well on the field.

At any rate a compelling post to say the least, Jimmy.

Jimmy
06-15-2011, 03:31 PM
Awww how cute he wants his turn.

As I'm sure njx9 will hit on, Brady Quinn effing blows and is one of the most pathetic excuses for a 2nd string quarterback in the NFL. So he is a 3rd stringer.

Having that said, at least he has confidence in himself. He won't win the starting job, but I hope the mindset he is taking spreads to the rest of the team, because it can only be a good thing.

Victory X
06-15-2011, 04:23 PM
I'm not disagreeing at all but why's Quinn so bad? I've never really had a chance to watch him in the NFL.

Roddoliver
06-15-2011, 04:54 PM
Brady Quinn should be a #2 QB and get a fair chance to compete for a starting job. He is better than Derek Anderson, Jimmy Clausen, Trent Edwards...

Roddoliver
06-15-2011, 08:21 PM
I watched Brady Quinn a lot. From college games to his 1st start against the Broncos to his preseason games in 2010. He's been in the NFL for 3 seasons and he still did not get a full season as the starter. He should have been the guy for the Browns in 2009, but Mangini decided (or "undecided") to make a soup with Quinn and Anderson. Quinn was not playing well, but Anderson was even worse, just check the stats.

Quinn has 10 TDs in 12 starts, which is acceptable for a young QB. And he has more TDs than interceptions. His completion % must improve. But most of all, he needs to play with more confidence and use his arm. Stop the dink and dunk and create more YPA. But it's hard to relax and sling the ball when you are not the guy and someone might take your job anytime.

Brandon Lloyd gave a nice example for the Broncos' QB controversy:

"I don't like it, and I can say that," said Brandon Lloyd, the Broncos' No. 1 receiver. "I don't like the uncertainty because it puts the quarterback on eggshells and makes them not want to throw interceptions in practice. So they don't take chances, and they don't throw balls that they should be throwing for fear that they're going to get a negative check on their play."

That's what happened in Cleveland. Make a mistake and you're out. The other guy makes a mistake, you're in again. That's stupid. And the QB loses confidence in the process. That's what Quinn needs to regain, his confidence on the field to make all the throws. He needs a lot of work, but I don't think he is complete trash, not at all.

Roddoliver
06-15-2011, 08:23 PM
*double post* delete please

Jimmy
06-15-2011, 09:02 PM
I watched Brady Quinn a lot. From college games to his 1st start...

Quinn has 10 TDs in 12 starts, which is acceptable for a young QB. But it's hard to relax and sling the ball when you are not the guy and someone might take your job anytime.

Aside from that 1 stat with an extremely small sample size, Quinn has been atrocious w/ denver in the pre-season and that is undeniable.

Diehard
06-17-2011, 12:34 PM

A "true" C? Marks should map to how well students score against consistent standards, instead of being the product of some artificially imposed comparative distribution. If the class is weak across the board, then there's no reason for anyone to get an A. Conversely, if all students demonstrate competency in the core aspects of the curriculum, none of them should get F.

Grades aren't rankings - they are two separate pieces of information that tell you different things. We talk this way all the time on the site: "so-and-so is the best WR prospect, but it's a weak pool" - i.e. his grade isn't great but he's at the top of the pile.

Anyway, I need to reel in this tangent (which is strongly related to my management role in the department of education) and get on to the real business:

As for rating our WR's a B, there are at least 12, if not 16-20 recieving corps with better receivers than our Broncos. Teams that undeniably have a better WR corps (no order)

My response here would be you have some teams listed who have a nice top end of 2-3 name guys at receivers, but what does their depth look like? That's the thing that I find encouraging about our WR corps - we've got talent 6-7 deep.

In terms of receiver, I don't like any of the teams you had in that Redskins-Titans cluster except the Patriots (and that's partially influenced by their excellent TE play) and I'm not sold on the 1-12 being "undeniable" either. I'd put the following clearly ahead of the Broncos:

Saints
Steelers
Giants
Jets
Cowboys
Colts
Packers
Eagles

Ravens are a question mark. They win the "big name" prize but that didn't translate onto the field all that well. The Falcons are getting played up because of Julius Jones, but receiver is one of the hardest transitions in the NFL and I think the talk about him making a big impact is very premature. I don't like the Vikings' stable - Rice is solid, Berrian is inconsistent and Harvin is a nice weapon, but not necessarily a pure WR.

Jimmy
06-18-2011, 02:16 PM
A "true" C? Marks should map to how well students score against consistent standards, instead of being the product of some artificially imposed comparative distribution.

I'm surprised with your stance on current grade inflation. Just because a standard is consistent (i.e. the nfl draft grading standard/travesty) doesn't mean it makes sense. Today's grade standards are just as artificial (faux, made by humans) as a bell curve scale is. Poor choice of words, but I'll run with it. Artificial or not, it makes a lot more sense in my opinion than the comapritive distribution you support, where students all are graded as average or above. You know just as well as I know that colleges admisisons had to adapt a huge mathematical formula to make sense of the freakin nightmare that is today's inflation. Time to make things right.

According to your preferred scale, draft classes are never weak across the board based on experts final grades, even during years where there is a clear lack of depth.

If you had been paying attention to the NFL Draft rankings over the years, you would know that there has NEVER been a weak class according to today's standards.

Each and every year, no matter WHAT, teams get unreasonably high grades across the board before their players even take the field. That is undeniable, no matter how weak or strong things are. Tell me then, why aren't 80% of the teams contending for the playoffs? Most of your stuff is opinion that I can't refute, but that is completely refutable.

If all students demonstrate competency in the core aspects of the curriculum, none of them should get Fs.

They should get f's if they are in the bottom 20% of their class! But oh no, because of today's inflation, the stigma of an F would hurt their feelings, right? Or it would look bad! If high school adopted that system, a D wouldn't be a D anymore! It would be a lot more reflective of the way things are, though. My point: School is a competition, just like the draft, and grades should show it.

Also, to counter a point I'm sure you will make, in the most prestigious schools where 90% of the kids are bright, 20% should still get f's. They can separate themselves with standardized testing. Colleges know what the best high schools are anyway from experience.

If we switched to a bell curve, the value of an A would skyrocket, and students who received D's would still get into "college," or pass judgement regardless. A "D" wouldn't be the travesty it is today considering the amount of kids who would get them.

Unlike school, the draft is not a matter of competency, but how well you did given what you could have done with players on the board with team needs at stake. It is not fair to judge a class to be incompetent before the players have taken the field, just like it is not fair to etch them in stone as hall of famers.

The scale is a matter of how good the team's draft picks were overall, compared to the rest of the league.

There is no way to tell how anyone will pan out before a player takes the field, so why would I grade them based on "competency" that is almost entirely based on prejudgement?

Grades aren't rankings - they are two separate pieces of information that tell you different things.

Please. Draft grades aren't rankings? School grades arent? Tell that to college admissions counselors. Tell that to teams who place grades on every player on their board. Tell that to the experts who rank the best class to the worst based on a letter grade.

That's the thing that I find encouraging about our WR corps - we've got talent 6-7 deep.

We will be lucky if 3 of them pan out, and you know that. Neither of us know the other teams rosters as well as our own starting 5, but I can promise you almost every team on that list has a talent similar to Matt Willis or Britt Davis buried deep on their roster. The only reason you can make that claim is because you know nothing about those players, just like Vikings fans have no clue who the hell Matt Willis is.

I'm absolutely shocked you think one year wonder Brandon Lloyd, 30 year old Jabar Gaffney, a 1st rounder who may not play next year and showed very little, and a slot receiver who hasn't been himself since his rookie year are better than the Falcons, Vikings corps overall.

The Falcons are getting played up because of Julius Jones, but receiver is one of the hardest transitions in the NFL and I think the talk about him making a big impact is very premature.

Guess what? We're playing Denver up because of Decker and Royal. Decker has proven himself about | | This much more than Jones. Royal might as well start over. If you wouldn't take Roddy white and Julio Jones over a 30 year old Brandon Lloyd, an unproven Eric Decker, and the rest of our corps... I'm personally shocked.

I don't like the Vikings' stable - Rice is solid, Berrian is inconsistent and Harvin is a nice weapon, but not necessarily a pure WR.

Rice and Harvin without a doubt have better futures than any of our current players, including Decker. Claiming that Decker will be better will be better than any either of those guys would simply prove you're a complete homer. While he could certainly pan out better than both, there is no logical reason to believe he will be better right now.

Only time will tell, but you really underestimate the talent of those two teams especially. My opinion is that our wr talents combined with our transition to a run oriented offense will make you eat your words. This team does not have a top 10 corps in the NFL, and I promise you if a poll was done on this website, we'd be lucky to fall in the top 12-14 as it stands.

A C by my standards, perhaps a B by yours. At least my rankings are reflective of a scale, and not a fallacy caused by whiny students.

Namy
06-18-2011, 10:04 PM
With the lockout lingering, Jimmy and Diehard resort to debating over the philosophy of grade inflation.

Bring back football!!

Diehard
06-20-2011, 10:50 PM
With the lockout lingering, Jimmy and Diehard resort to debating over the philosophy of grade inflation.

Bring back football!!

Yes, we've sunk to new lows. Hopefully we'll soon have a frenzy of FA activity to ***** and moan about instead.

Timbathia
06-26-2011, 05:57 PM
Yes, we've sunk to new lows. Hopefully we'll soon have a frenzy of FA activity to ***** and moan about instead.

With our team the way it is are we more likely to moan about a frenzy of FA activity, or a lack of it?

jCut
07-09-2011, 03:09 PM
Who should Denver target at DT? Cofield, Mebane, Jenkins, Bunkley?

Mebane seems like a nice fit.

jCut
07-09-2011, 03:28 PM
Haha yeah. That would be nice.

Take a chance on Fat Albert maybe?..

Jimmy
07-15-2011, 10:05 AM
Apparently, one of the things on the table at today's meetings is this:

A proposed deal by owners would allow NFL teams to match any highest-offer on a player of theirs during FA, and subsequently retain that player.

The good news there is you would see quite a few more players stay with a team their entire career. Can't wait to see some more team loyalty, even if it is forced. The bad news is that we may not be able to sign DeAngelo Williams without anteing up wayyyy too much $$$ for him.

Then again, if we aren't going to use all of our cap money, I say we splurge.

Jimmy
07-15-2011, 06:59 PM
i don't see the panthers trying to hold onto deangelo.

You may be right, and your point is strengthened by the fact that owners will not put first right of refusal clauses on 2011 free agents anymore per ESPN

Diehard
07-19-2011, 04:04 PM

I'd certainly like to see him on board, but Fox seems to prefer tall guys at the DT spot.

Along with the usual suspects (e.g. Mebane, Cofield), Marcus Spears and Robaire Smith are two guys coming off injury who might be possible fits despite having played in 3-4 schemes last year.

i don't see the panthers trying to hold onto deangelo.

I think they'll make him a decent offer, but as soon as there is any serious competition from another team they'll bow out.

Denver will go hard after a RB in FA. Is Williams the guy? It would make a certain amount of sense, but I've been bitten by making assumptions based on coach-player connections in the past. We shall see soon enough.

jCut
07-24-2011, 12:40 PM
I'm not so sure now. We are 8 (or so) million dollars over the cap. We need to make some major adjustments before any major signing is possible.

Jimmy
07-26-2011, 09:00 AM
I'm not so sure now. We are 8 (or so) million dollars over the cap. We need to make some major adjustments before any major signing is possible.

The Broncos have 72 players on their roster and nearly $129 million in salary commitments. That's after releasing tight end Daniel Graham and defensive linemen Justin Bannan and Jamal Williams.

That number is closer to 126 million now, as Denver has said it is going to release Buck.

So the squad is looking at a 6 million dollar deficit.
Some personal notes:

If Denver trades Orton, the team goes into the green. Orton is due to make 8.8 million this year.

Unfortunately, the P. Cox situation may have cost Denver close to 3 million. Andre Goodman is due to make 2.8 Mil, but since Denver is now going to have to dump Cox (those are some serious allegations) they need to keep somebody with experience around. Only way Goodman is gone IMO is if Syd'Quan Thompson steps his game up to a whole new level. I could be wrong, though.

Dawkins will need to take a paycut. He's making 6 mil this year.

Dumping Goodman, Orton and Buck, and asking Dawk to take a 3 million dollar cut would put the team at 114.4 million. Still not enough to splurge, especially since Von and the rookies haven't signed.

CT Bronco Fan
07-27-2011, 02:13 PM
WR Jabar Gaffney traded to Washington for DL Jeremy Jarmon

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13153/jeremy-jarmon

Lost WR depth, but also gained 2 mil in cap space for DL rotation. I liked Gaffney a lot so not sure how I feel about this one.
~

DeAngelo Williams re-signed with Carolina, Five years 43 million, 21 mill guaranteed. For that kinda money glad we didn't sign him.
~

@AdamSchefter
Dolphins and Broncos engaged in trade talks that would send Kyle Orton to Miami. Both teams would like to make it happen.

Jimmy
07-27-2011, 02:15 PM
edit: i was beat to it, but nonetheless, here ya go:

So Denver just shipped WR Jabar Gaffney for '09 Supplimental pick Jeremy Jarmon (Redskins)

It's an interesting move that will save us about 1.5 million not figuring in bonuses. What it does is get rid of a guy that would take balls away from a rising Decker.

Talking about this a few weeks ago, one of our biggest questions was "where will Jabar fit in?"

Question answered. Entering his 3rd year, Jarmon is only 23.

I won't lie and say I know this or that about him. I will take some quotes from a redskin board, so we get some perspective from people who have seen him play:

"It did not appear Jarmon was going to have a legit shot to make the team, so under those circumstances, I like the deal. Jabar Gaffney isn't exactly a return, though. We're collecting receivers the way Jon Gruden collects quarterbacks."

"Was Gaffney in Denver with Shanahan? Don't know what to make of this as I really liked Jarmon, and thought he had good potential.

How can you not have brought in at least one center? I just don't get it."

"Jarmon has done everything asked of him-lose weight to play LB, gain weight to play on the line, lose weight again, learn this position, learn that position, all while rehabbing from a major injury...only to be sent packing just weeks away from the start of the season. And if he had kids in school, the start of the school year.
I wish Jarmon well"

CT Bronco Fan
07-27-2011, 03:31 PM
meh. gaffney couldn't have been a more average receiver. if jarmon's just a warm body on the d-line, i think the team was improved. sucks to lose out on williams. can't wait for a mcgahee/moreno backfield. if that doesn't strike fear into high school d-lines everywhere, i don't know what will.

bleh. whatever. this team still isn't going anywhere for another year or two. as boring as it is, i guess i'm totally cool with not blowing a bunch of money in FA this year, though it'd be nice to do something with orton before camp starts.

Kyle Orton to Miami for Randy Starks and Philip Merling is the rumor out there now.

We are also heavily pursuing Cullen Jenkins as well is another rumor.
~

I would be pretty happy with Jenkins, not sure how I like the Orton rumors. The DL depth would be nice I guess. And Starks would be a clear upgrade to anything we've seen in the middle in the last 5 years.

So I hope they both happen.

Timbathia
07-27-2011, 03:55 PM
meh. gaffney couldn't have been a more average receiver. if jarmon's just a warm body on the d-line, i think the team was improved. sucks to lose out on williams. can't wait for a mcgahee/moreno backfield. if that doesn't strike fear into high school d-lines everywhere, i don't know what will.

bleh. whatever. this team still isn't going anywhere for another year or two. as boring as it is, i guess i'm totally cool with not blowing a bunch of money in FA this year, though it'd be nice to do something with orton before camp starts.

At least it sounds like Moreno has heard your assessment of him njx, because apparently he has lost 15 pounds in the offseason and has been working out like a fiend. He must realise that if he cant adjust to this new offense he may never make it in the NFL.

Jimmy
07-27-2011, 05:42 PM

Mebane talks are allegedly heating up. Although I think Cofield was overpaid, with the way our DT spot is looking... **** it. He's going to cost 32-40 million, depending on if it's a 5-6 year contract. I don't care, though.

Jimmy
07-27-2011, 09:18 PM
So I'm not sure what's going on, but it seriously concerns me that Orton isn't gone yet and that we haven't picked up a DT. Both moves needed to happen immediately, they were that high of a priority. I don't care if we get a bag of funyuns to start at DT, we need somebody there.

CT Bronco Fan
07-29-2011, 01:25 PM
AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
RB Willis McGahee reaches agreement with Denver on a 3-yr deal for $7,500,000, including $3 million guaranteed.

CT Bronco Fan
07-29-2011, 01:31 PM
For what it's worth LeRon McClain's twitter has been hinting at him trying to sign with Denver. Or at least alot of of his fans asking for it.

CT Bronco Fan
07-29-2011, 05:47 PM
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/1361/attachmentb.png

Cullen Jenkins here we come.

Jimmy
07-29-2011, 06:39 PM
http://sf0.org/media/Lincoln/rememberkids83585.jpg

Jimmy
07-29-2011, 07:13 PM
only thing that could make this week any better is if we sign Perrish Cox to a 7 year, 40 million dollar extension tomorrow

CT Bronco Fan
07-30-2011, 03:54 PM
Cullen Jenkins to Philly..

Ty Warren here we come!

Actually Amobi Okoye just got released by Houston. He would make me very happy. Very happy.

CT Bronco Fan
07-30-2011, 10:44 PM
JasonLaCanfora Jason La Canfora
Bears announce they have signed DT Amobi Okoye, former a first round pick of the Texans

Ty Warren here we come!

CT Bronco Fan
07-31-2011, 12:40 AM
god i hate this team.

This should cheer you up.

johnelway John Elway
We agreed to terms with WR David Anderson from Houston. A great addition for us.

Jimmy
07-31-2011, 11:52 AM
Welp, Ronald Fields just signed with Miami and Justin Bannan with St. Louis. So not only have we completely ******* neglected signing a DT, but we've completely failed in our strategy to retain our only ****-ass 32nd ranked DT's.

Livid.

CT Bronco Fan
07-31-2011, 04:52 PM
Broncos reached agreement with former Rams TE Daniel Fells, who had 41 catches last season, on a 1-year contract.

TheRedzoneorg The Redzone
TE Donte Rosario agrees with Broncos pending physical

The Broncos do have an agreement in place with tight end Donte Rosario, pending a physical exam that he will take tonight per Mike Klis of the Denver Post. Rosario played the previous four seasons for Fox in Carolina.

Wonder if one of our Tight Ends can play DT?

Diehard
07-31-2011, 09:08 PM
yup. that's what we needed. more worthless tight ends. i'm beginning to think that we didn't actually get rid of mcdaniels.

lol

Actually, this is a pretty bad sign for McD's guys (Quinn, Gronk). The short term nature of these FA contracts makes me think the team leadership likes what they see from the rookies (which matches what I been hearing from the camp reports). That leaves the McD TE's out in the cold IMO.

DoughBoy
07-31-2011, 09:12 PM
speaking of TE's was Daniel Graham a good blocker for you guys?

Diehard
07-31-2011, 09:18 PM

In the past, yes, he was very solid in pass protect and run blocking. He's caught some big passes as well, but also dropped a lot of easy ones.

He faded a lot in his last year with the Broncos. I'm not sure what the story was. I'm hoping a new team will help him turn things around.

Timbathia
07-31-2011, 10:03 PM

was one of the best in the league.

Timbathia
07-31-2011, 10:04 PM
We are obviously having a really bad off season as I just got excited we resigned Marcus Thomas.

CT Bronco Fan
07-31-2011, 11:28 PM
We are obviously having a really bad off season as I just got excited we resigned Marcus Thomas.

If there was a like button, I would of clicked it here.

CT Bronco Fan
08-01-2011, 12:41 PM
michaelombardi Michael Lombardi
Broncos add Derrick Harvey former first round pick of the Jags..

CT Bronco Fan
08-01-2011, 04:36 PM
ClaytonESPN John Clayton
B. Bunkley decided not to go to Cleveland. Trade voided. He's going to Denvef for a 2013 pick

Jimmy
08-01-2011, 04:46 PM
ClaytonESPN John Clayton
B. Bunkley decided not to go to Cleveland. Trade voided. He's going to Denvef for a 2013 pick

im cool with it as long as we don't give up anything higher than a 5th. but this doesn't excuse the horse**** mismanagement that's gone on. you think this dude is anything better than an average DT? he isn't. we're still ****ed.

also... derrick harvey? sweet. jarvis moss 2.0.

Jimmy
08-01-2011, 04:51 PM
no harm with harvey though. likely getting a mini-contract

Diehard
08-01-2011, 06:30 PM
This team is being built for the interior DL to do the dirty work of plugging gaps and taking on blockers. The strongside LB (Miller) and weakside DE (Doom) are the guys who will get the most opportunity to make the impact plays. This is classic 4-3 under stuff (which, in execution can be very similar to certain 3-4/5-2 approaches).

Would an impact interior DL be nice? Hell yes. But given the approach I think we can get by with a few lesser upgrades to build a decent rotation. A guy like Bunkley helps in this respect. If we could make another move like this (Warren?) I think we'd be okay.

CT Bronco Fan
08-01-2011, 10:37 PM
@markschlereth just said on the fan that he has hear rumors of a DJ Williams for Asante Samuels trade

~

I just don't even......

Diehard
08-02-2011, 09:58 AM
I don't know about DJ for Samuel (as we have a number of young CB's who have flashed talent), but I think trading DJ isn't a bad idea if we can get something decent in return (e.g. a DT). Woodyard is a nice fit for what Fox and Allen seem to be trying to do on D, but with DJ currently occupying the WLB spot WW isn't going to see the field much.

CT Bronco Fan
08-02-2011, 08:07 PM
Filed to ESPN: New Orleans pulled off free-agent upset, reaching agreement with former 49ers DT Aubrayo Franklin on a one-year deal.

Another DT off the market, not like we had a chance at him anyways.

Eagles agree to terms with free agent OT Ryan Harris. One-year deal.

Former Dolphins RB Ronnie Brown agrees to one-year deal with Eagles.

CT Bronco Fan
08-02-2011, 08:55 PM
Broncos land former Patriots DE Ty Warren with a 2-year, $10 million deal that includes $2.5 million guaranteed.

Gotta be honest, wasn't expecting that.

Very nice addition though.

Cunningham
08-02-2011, 09:02 PM
i can dig a warren/bunkley/thomas trio in the middle with doom and von bringing pressure on the outside.

will this be the first year in a while that the defense is superior to the offense? i say yes, if only because our offense has the potential to be straight trash

SolidGold
08-03-2011, 10:03 AM
What's the deal w/ Tebow so far? Everything I have heard is basically a retread of last year with the media crapping on him about not being an NFL QB. Merrill Hoge was the latest to sing this tune.

I don't think Fox's vanilla offense will do him many favors. Denver seems content with a ball control offense and not implementing anything that tailor's to Tebow's skills. He is a dynamic type player, i thought he played fairly well as a rookie last year in those last three games.

It would be a shame if they just did not let him play this year and see how it goes rather than just give up on him.

SolidGold
08-03-2011, 10:56 AM
Njx, what are your thoughts on Tebow?

I hear all this praise for Newton coming out of Panthers camp, they seem to be catering the play book to his skills. I have never really heard anything but criticism of Tebow since he was drafted last year. They might as well just let the guy play IMO.

SolidGold
08-03-2011, 05:07 PM
This is a hypothetical for you but if he does not work out at QB...do you think they would consider converting him to RB?...not H-BACK, TE or FB but an actual RB. Due to his style of play I think he could potential be a Bettis/Alstott type RB. In all honesty I think he is already better than either Moreno or McGahee at this point in his career.

Jimmy
08-04-2011, 09:04 AM
edit: so I think we are second in the waiver wire carousel...

whatever big name wash up with a once-enormous-contract might become a bronco very very soon.

Diehard
08-04-2011, 10:10 AM
will this be the first year in a while that the defense is superior to the offense? i say yes, if only because our offense has the potential to be straight trash

I don't think so. The QB drama is getting all the attention, but really the offense is going to be improved in just about every other area. I'm hearing good things about the OL, the triple threat of Lloyd-Royal-Decker is looking very solid, we've got a much better competition at RB and the TE situation got a major boost with both veteran depth and the emergence of Julius Thomas as a downfield threat.

jCut
08-04-2011, 10:53 AM
Hearing a lot of good things about Julius Thomas. At the very least, it sounds like he's had a good camp so far. I think he may be the starter at TE.

Diehard
08-04-2011, 01:48 PM
Hearing a lot of good things about Julius Thomas. At the very least, it sounds like he's had a good camp so far. I think he may be the starter at TE.

He's running with the 1's at the moment (along with Quinn as the blocking TE), but we'll see if that holds up once the FA vets get more into the mix.

I think we'll see a lot of 2 TE sets this season, and if Thomas can keep it up he could put up some nice numbers. Plenty of other threats in the passing game to open up the deep middle for him.

The nice thing about the new coaching staff is they seem to understand the importance of fitting the system to the player and not vice versa. Royal is a good example of that, where they're shifting him away from the read/option stuff that McD liked because it didn't play to his strengths. If they take the same kind of approach with Thomas, I think we'll like the results.

Jimmy
08-06-2011, 02:31 PM
In Canton, Ohio getting ready to see Shannon inducted. More Broncos fans turned up here than any other fan base. Be proud. Posting pictures tomorrow.

JHL6719
08-08-2011, 09:36 PM
How has Von Miller looked in camp? Is he living up to the hype so far?

Gay Ork Wang
08-09-2011, 04:47 AM
http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/articles/broncos-center-apologizes-to-team-after-accidental,21074/

i hope you enjoy it njx :)

Diehard
08-09-2011, 01:53 PM
How has Von Miller looked in camp? Is he living up to the hype so far?

Yes, he looks deadly. The fastest front 7 player by far, both in terms of raw speed and burst off the snap. He and Doom rushing from opposite sides are giving the OL fits. He's been surprisingly good at coverage as well.

The coaching staff have been using him in different ways - SLB in a 4-3 under, DE in a 4-2-5 nickle, even roving a bit in the 3-3-5 look. I noticed an interesting aligment yesterday with Doom, 3 DT's (Warren, Bunkley, Thomas) and Miller standing at the other end spot... looking very 5-2 ish.

Anyway, for the first time in a long time, we appear to have multiple pass rush threats.

Diehard
08-09-2011, 04:36 PM
since 1997ish? i'd love to have two ten sack guys for once. we'll need them to cover up for the secondary.

When did we have Pryce, Reggie Hayward and Bertrand Berry all on the roster? 2003? That was probably the last time. Shanahan was such an idiot in that respect - saying Hayward's emergence made Berry expendable was dubious, but then letting Hayward go the following year was ridiculous.

JHL6719
08-10-2011, 07:03 AM
Yes, he looks deadly. The fastest front 7 player by far, both in terms of raw speed and burst off the snap. He and Doom rushing from opposite sides are giving the OL fits. He's been surprisingly good at coverage as well.

The coaching staff have been using him in different ways - SLB in a 4-3 under, DE in a 4-2-5 nickle, even roving a bit in the 3-3-5 look. I noticed an interesting aligment yesterday with Doom, 3 DT's (Warren, Bunkley, Thomas) and Miller standing at the other end spot... looking very 5-2 ish.

Anyway, for the first time in a long time, we appear to have multiple pass rush threats.

That's awesome. I always felt like he was going to be a stud. I think the guy has close to Derrick Thomas type talent (which is fairly rare to say the least).

What about Virgil Green how has he looked?

Jimmy
08-11-2011, 10:44 AM
So I don't know if you guys love or despise AM 1510 mile high sports with Kiszla, but I took a liking to it listening on my iPhone radio app. They were talking about moving Tebow to FB, and asking listeners to call or e-mail in with past QB's who had made a switch to other positions in the NFL. Only reason I did was because I couldn't believe nobody had even mentioned M-Rob once.

Listen below.

HkI55iwdhQU

Jimmy
08-11-2011, 10:17 PM
For the worst QB in the history of all time, Quinn held his own against that 2nd string D.

JBCX
08-12-2011, 05:48 AM
Hey guys, how has Bunkley been looking so far? I was kind of upset that the Eagles traded him for a bag of potato chips because he could be a really good 3-tech pass rusher.

Is he impressing at all so far?

Diehard
08-12-2011, 10:49 AM
For the worst QB in the history of all time, Quinn held his own against that 2nd string D.

Quinn looked better than both the other QB's. He was calm and composed, even though he was surrounded by some of the worst OL talent known to man (the backup C is awful).

Diehard
08-12-2011, 10:49 AM
Hey guys, how has Bunkley been looking so far? I was kind of upset that the Eagles traded him for a bag of potato chips because he could be a really good 3-tech pass rusher.

Bunkley looked fine in limited action. We are going to be much improved along the DL, both because of the additions and the scheme change.

Diehard
08-12-2011, 11:43 AM
Thoughts from Preseason Game 1:

The running game looks much improved. It is primarily a zone scheme out of power formations (2 TE, offset I) with some man blocking elements (pulling guards, man double teams). It certainly seemed our veteran OL are way more comfortable in this system. The Franklin-Kuper combo bears watching - Franklin is a mauler and Kuper is excellent at getting to the 2nd level. Walton had a decent game as well, which is encouraging because I was worried he would be the weak link. The offensive line depth is shockingly bad, though... we'll definitely be working the waiver wire to grab some help once cut time comes.

Both Moreno and McGahee looked great. We ran all over the Dallas 1st string D. McGahee easily could've punched it in at the 1 if we were looking for points, but the coaching staff instead ran some pass plays to see what Orton could do (The answer? Nothing). The other back who looked good was Jeremiah Johnson - he was clearly more explosive than the other 2 backs he was rotating with (Ball, Minor).

As I've mentioned before, I like our depth at WR and the game didn't do anything to change my mind on that point. Decker, Willis, Anderson, Dell, Goodwin, Riley... they all made plays. It's an enviable situation, but the coaching staff are going to have some tough decisions to make. The TE's were quiet, though Fells looked good as a blocker.

Between the scheme change and the new additions, our DL is definitely improved. We were actually pretty decent at stopping stuff between the tackles. We've got some depth too - our backup DE's played well, especially Hunter who was getting consistent pressure.

The LB's seem to be another relatively deep unit. I liked what I saw from some of the 2nd and 3rd string guys (Braxton Kelly, Lee Robinson, Mario Haggan) in terms of stuffing the run.

The secondary... well, it had some highlights and lowlights. Kyle McCarthy made a very strong bid to earn a spot in the SS rotation. He looked like the best defensive player on the field once the starters were gone. On the other hand, Nate Jones was absolutely awful in coverage... IIRC, he gave up 2 TD's and a 2 point conversion. It is not overreaction to say that Nate needs to be cut immediately.

Of course, I saved the best (?) for last. The QB's all got their chance, with interesting results. Orton had the benefit of the 1st team running game (which Dallas couldn't stop) and moved the ball down the field nicely. Of course, the offense then choked in the red zone with 3 straight incompletions (same old same old). Tebow was energetic but inconsistent - he had a great throw to Willis (40+ yard bomb) but played a little out-of-control at other times. Quinn was very composed, moved around well in the pocket and made plays... despite some awful play but the backup OL. He looked far different from the guy who in the past was so quick to crumble under pressure.

Overall, I'm encouraged by what I saw. Hopefully the team can continue to make strides over the next 3 games.

Diehard
08-15-2011, 09:40 AM
who the heck played DT besides thomas and bunkley?

Bunkley and Thomas got most of the snaps with the first team. Vickerson was playing with the 2nd string, despite being listed with at the top of the depth chart. Warren got a few 1st string snaps, then teamed with Vickerson. Later in the game, I noticed #62 shoot some gaps and create some nice pressure with Hunter... according to the team page that's Ronnell Brown, who I know nothing about. McBean sucked against the scrubs, so I suspect he's gone after the first round of cuts.

Diehard
08-15-2011, 10:00 AM
After reviewing the Dallas game, I think we're going to be quite active once the cuts start taking place:

C - Walton is still a work in progress and we have nothing behind him.

G - The 2nd string OG's were ******* awful against Dallas.

FB - I was hoping one of our TE's would be repurposed to fill this need. Larsen offers little as a runner or receiver and misses blocks too often for my liking. If Sylvester can't show enough to beat him, we need to get some veteran help.

CB - Cox is facing serious legal problems, Jones sucks beyond all suckage and we really only have two proven commodities (Champ and Goodman). Adding a savvy veteran would probably help.

Diehard
08-15-2011, 12:12 PM
i don't see us finding anything worth playing in the secondary (in waivers). massive failure by the front office in free agency, imo (i'd note that i'm not suggesting we should've signed aso, but it was a glaring weakness, even had cox not gotten in trouble). goodman shouldn't be a #2 corner at this point. meh.

I think Cox would've turned into a solid #3 (or even #2) guy for us over the course of the season, but his legal situation is a disaster. I suspect the team is counting on him ending up behind bars.

From what I've seen/heard, the team really likes Syd and Vaughn, but that's a lot of pressure to put on two relatively untested players.

Cunningham
08-16-2011, 01:55 PM
it appears warren is out for the year........should we just start hoping for luck at this point?

Jimmy
08-16-2011, 06:26 PM
should we just start hoping for luck at this point?

http://knowyourmeme.com/i/681/original/what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

but no, i will never root for a loss. i will root for an 8-8 season over a 3-13 season in which we get luck.

jCut
08-18-2011, 12:40 AM
Only a partial tear, not a full tear. So he may not be lost for the entire season. But yeah, bad luck. And Marcus Thomas, who's had a good camp, is now injured as well. The DT question marks continue to linger.

Diehard
08-20-2011, 11:27 PM
Thoughts from Preseason Game 2:

There's going to be some panic from the Tebow hype machine. He looks like he's getting pushed into the background, both by the play of the other QB's and the decisions of the team. Honestly, I think the best thing for him would be to sit and develop... but the media circus around him makes that very difficult.

The starters on both sides of the ball looked very solid. The 2nd string guys were decent as well. The 3rd offense didn't get much playing time and didn't do much with the time they had. The 3rd string defense was a ******* joke.

In terms of the rookies, Von Miller's warp speed stuff is just scary... he's going to be very dangerous with a little experience. Rahim Moore was laying the lumber out there in centerfield. Franklin outmuscled Dareus on the goal line and McGahee followed him in for the TD... if our mauler RT can keep improving on pass protect, he's going to be one of my favorite players.

Jimmy
08-21-2011, 04:15 PM
God damn the Orton to Lloyd combo looks like it's going to be filthy once again.

Knowshon looks vastly improved, actually seems to have average speed at this point. His balance looks much improved, but I don't want to rush to judgement.

Glad to see that Orton is holding his own.

That Rahim hit was completely clean, and I say that as objectively as possible. I've seen the replay many times. The intention was clean. The hit was clean. The only reason it was blown out of proportion was the medical condition of the Bills WR. Absurd reaction by the announcers, automatically calling foul play just because of the recent witch-hunt esque campaign against head hunters.

I'm not supporting head hunters, but any fine against Rahim is unjust and absurd.

Watch. The. Replay. He's not going to hit him below the numbers, that would hurt his chances of jarring the ball free and would be a poor decision. People have their panties in a bunch because anatomically, the shoulder is located about half a foot from the helmet. So it looks like he leans with his helmet, but he clearly lead with his shoulder. I really hope Donald Jones is okay, but I don't want to hear this stuff that it was malicious or that Moore is a thug. For real though, to the sensationalist pricks who are calling for Moore's head. Watch the replay. Bills WR was clearly hit in the neck/collarbone area, not even a question. How can something be helmet-to-helmet if neither defensive or offensive player's helmets were involved? Also, I'm almost completely positive it was Jones's helmet WHIPLASHING/SMASHING against the hurt at 20 miles an hour while falling that cause his state. Rant over.

ill touch on more negatives later.

Diehard
08-22-2011, 12:36 AM
sidenote: any of you guys who go to games in denver know 'the' bronco bus? it's the big school bus with the prime parking spot at the main entrance. they've been sponsored by bud light in the past (the bud light commercial at mile high was filmed at their bus).

The one that has the play on the old logo (horse coming out of a B) painted on the side? I got a very tasty burger from those guys... the fact that I'd smoked a fat joint immediately before hand probably didn't hurt the flavor sensation.

Diehard
08-22-2011, 12:43 AM
That Rahim hit was completely clean, and I say that as objectively as possible. I've seen the replay many times. The intention was clean. The hit was clean. The only reason it was blown out of proportion was the medical condition of the Bills WR. Absurd reaction by the announcers, automatically calling foul play just because of the recent witch-hunt esque campaign against head hunters.

Agreed. The result of the play (i.e. injury) should have no bearing on the decision about the legality of the hit. Moore's shot was punishing but clean. As an aside, I really like that we have a centerfielder who can hit. It's been a while...

Jimmy
08-24-2011, 04:19 PM
http://www.9news.com/news/article/215338/345/NFL-fines-Rahim-Moore-20K-for-hit

horse****

DENVER - Denver Broncos safety Rahim Moore fined $20,000 by NFL for what the league says was an illegal hit made during Saturday's game against the Buffalo Bills.

http://i56.tinypic.com/2liizbm.jpg

Diehard
08-27-2011, 11:59 PM
With starters in, the game wasn't close (17-3). I feel bad for Seattle fans if the team insists on sticking with Jackson.

Doom + Miller is a filthy combination. We have lots of good options at WR & TE... cuts are going to be tough. Moreno played well again. The young DE we got from Washington, Jarmon, had some nice plays - seems like the move to a 4-3 team is exactly what he needed.

Nate Jones is still beyond terrible... it would be a complete injustice for him to survive the 1st round of cuts. Our backup OL also continues to be a near crisis. That #2 waiver priority is going to be a big advantage in terms of addressing these positions + interior DL.

Diehard
08-29-2011, 08:21 PM
Nate Jones is still beyond terrible... it would be a complete injustice for him to survive the 1st round of cuts.

In related news...

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Roster-Trimmed-to-80/6959793f-08d1-42f6-bf8e-ae7288dd25ad

Cuts aren't due until tomorrow, but for a team with the #2 waiver priority clearing some room in advance seems like a good idea.

Oh, one request: please refrain from any Orange Mane style meltdowns regarding this topic. Yes Jimmy, this means you...

Timbathia
08-29-2011, 09:17 PM
Oh, one request: please refrain from any Orange Mane style meltdowns regarding this topic. Yes Jimmy, this means you...

Just dropped over to Orange Mane to see what you are talking about. Freaking hilarious Jimmy. May as well get banned doing something spectacular. I must admit I didnt think you would last long there after the Rahim Moore hit thread. Orange Mane is extremely juvenile, and trying to do anything serious over there is a waste of time.

Diehard
08-29-2011, 10:10 PM
wait, the mane would have a meltdown regarding cuts, or the waivers?

Our of our NFLDC family got a little hot under the collar. I won't hold it against him - the regulars at the OMane seem to spend most of their time trying to be clever / acting like douchebags. Actual football talk comes a distant second.

i just can't see much hitting waivers that will be helpful this year, but maybe i'm (well, of course i am) pessimistic.

There should be OL available. Teams just can't justify carrying a whole bunch of extra bodies when you know they'll only see playing time when the starters get hurt.

related: i finally got to see the donkeys. holy **** do i like von and doom on the edges. i know it was said at some point, but if the dts can just hold their ground, that should be dangerous.

Most of the warm bodies we have at DT / strongside DE should be able to at least hold the line. Bunkley in particular is quite an anchor. Vickerson, however, is showing he can do more than that - he was getting into the backfield from his 3 tech spot vs the 'Hawks.

Jimmy
08-31-2011, 06:31 AM
In related news...

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Roster-Trimmed-to-80/6959793f-08d1-42f6-bf8e-ae7288dd25ad

Cuts aren't due until tomorrow, but for a team with the #2 waiver priority clearing some room in advance seems like a good idea.

:)
No worries, posters here don't think Tebow will be become a surefire pro-bowl QB, nor do they cheer like madmen when a man looses his job, even if he deserved it more than anyone else on the roster.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/football/nfl/players/6964.jpg

Jimmy
09-02-2011, 09:45 AM
we desperately need depth everywhere and secondary help.

what's next?

My guess is that we will sign a CB today; Sydquan is out for the season with an achilles tear *tear-tear* I was really hoping this guy would compete for our nickel and it looks like he will have to wait a year to do that.

I'm on the fence with Cox and from what I've heard and seen, Vaughn is playing decently. But we need another guy asap.

Oh yeah, we need depth at every other position outside of RB/WR

Diehard
09-02-2011, 11:17 AM
The biggest priority is backup OL. The group we have is awful, especially the interior. The flawed line play was the single biggest reason why we didn't move the ball effectively last night... well, that and Brady Quinn self-destructing.

On the defensive side, the 2nd-3rd string guys got exposed in coverage. I really liked Mike Mohamed's effort at SLB against the run and as a blitzer, but when he got matched up with a TE downfield he was burnt toast. Our CB's weren't much better... Cox in particular looks like his head isn't in the game (for obvious reasons).

It's almost time for the cuts. I think we should get this done early again so the focus can be shifted to acquiring talent off the waiver wire. In terms of cuts to the 2nd and 3rd string:

QB - I think the only option here is Quinn, but that can only happen if they feel really good about Weber as #3

RB - Ball, Johnson, Minor... none of these guys should feel safe. They may make it to 53, only to be cut later to make room for a waiver wire acquisition. Ball's big advantage is his ties to the RB coach.

FB - Both should be cut, but Larsen is probably safe.

WR - Eron Riley has played well enough to make the team, which makes for some tough decisions. Britt Davis for sure is in trouble. I think Anderson sticks as he's a PR and we'll need that with Syd out. This means we end up carrying 6 WR's.

TE - Rosario doesn't deserve to make the team. Virgil Green looks like he's going to the PS. Those two things are probably good news for Gronkowski.

OL - None of the backups should feel safe, other than OT Adam Grant who should end up on the PS. RT Herb Taylor is probably the best of this bad bunch.

DE - Jason Hunter and Jeremy Jarmon are locks to make the team. Beal probably goes to PS. Everyone else is in trouble.

DT - Apart from the 3rd string no-namers (who will probably end up on the PS), the lack of depth will prevent us from dropping anyone.

LB - Haggan makes the team. I think the rookies (Irving, Mohamed) also stick, leaving the veteran scrubs on the chopping block.

CB - Chris Harris could stick as a special teamer/last CB, or hit the PS. Bing gets cut. Cox would've been cut, but with Syd out he sticks.

S - McCarthy and Carter are locks. With the emphasis on special teams reduced by this ridiculous kickoff rule, I think McBath will beat out Bruton for the 5th spot.

Diehard
09-02-2011, 12:16 PM
i would've figured bing would stick with the injuries, but i didn't see him in the first three games.

One of those two UDFA CB's (Harris, Bing) probably makes the PS.

For the 53 man roster, I really think the team would do better with a more experienced CB off of waivers. The lack of offseason activities has made the transition even more difficult for the rookies.

Diehard
09-03-2011, 01:16 AM
i guess i mean, i can't remember the last time anyone signed anyone of any value at this point. anyone getting waived is getting waived for a reason.

True, but sometimes teams are (relatively) stacked at certain positions or have veterans who are being pushed by younger, cheaper players.

ATL just dropped some DL we should take a close look at (Chauncy Davis, Trey Lewis). Arizona had two decent FB's and in the end cut Reagan Mauia - he's a significant upgrade over Larsen. I haven't seen any obvious CB candidates yet, and perhaps no team has great depth at that position. We'll find out soon enough...

Diehard
09-03-2011, 01:24 PM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2011/09/03/full-list-of-broncos-saturday-cuts/9260/

WR David Anderson released
DE Jeremy Beal waived
CB Brandon Bing waived
LB Alvin Bowen waived
DT Ronnell Brown waived
G Jeff Byers waived
CB Perrish Cox waived
G Stanley Daniels waived
WR Britt Davis waived
WR D’Andre Goodwin waived
T Adam Grant waived
TE Dan Gronkowski waived
K Steven Hauschka waived
DT Jeremy Jarmon waived
RB Jeremiah Johnson waived
S Kyle McCarthy waived
G Eric Olsen waived
WR Greg Orton waived
DT DeMario Pressley waived
WR Eron Riley waived
LB Lee Robinson waived
TE Dante Rosario released
RB Austin Sylvester waived
QB Adam Weber waived

Some surprises there. I thought Jarmon > Harvey for sure - obviously coaches think otherwise. The number of receivers waived is very interesting... and they feeling confident about DT?

Seems likely the Riley, Goodwin, Grant, Weber, Beal end up on the PS.

bigbluedefense
09-03-2011, 02:17 PM
How has Von Miller looked? I always liked Miller more in a 4-3 than 3-4. I likened him to Wilbur Marshall on the 85 Bears.

I don't know how you guys are using him. I'm assuming as a blitzing downhill LB on 1st and 2nd down and a DE on 3rd?

What's his weight? I thought 235 was a good weight for him, depending on how you guys play him. If he sees a lot of plays on the dline, then 245'ish.

jCut
09-03-2011, 11:23 PM
Really shocked about Jarmon's release. i think that is going to be a mistake.

Also, Unrein somehow survived, but he will surely be dropped for someone on waivers. Tommie Harris was cut today, and I think we should take a waiver on him. He looked good against the Packers the other day.

CT Bronco Fan
09-04-2011, 12:05 AM
Final 53
Rookie
Veteran Acquired

QB (3) Kyle Orton, Tim Tebow, Brady Quinn
RB (3) Knowshon Moreno, Willis McGahee, Lance Ball
FB (1) Spencer Larsen
WR (5) Brandon Lloyd, Eddie Royal, Eric Decker, Matthew Willis, Demaryius Thomas
TE (3) Daniel Fells, Julius Thomas, Virgil Green
OT (4) Ryan Clady, Orlando Franklin, Chris Clark, Herb Taylor
OG (4) Zane Beadles, Chris Kuper, Russ Hochstein, Manny Ramirez
C (1) J.D. Walton

DE (4) Elvis Dumervil, Robert Ayers, Derrick Harvey, Jason Hunter
DT (6) Broderick Bunkley, Kevin Vickerson, Ty Warren, Marcus Thomas, Ryan McBean, Mitch Unrein
SLB (2) Von Miller, Mike Mohamed
MLB (3) Joe Mays, Mario Haggan, Nate Irving
WLB (2) D.J. Williams, Wesley Woodyard
CB (4) Champ Bailey, Andre Goodman, Cassius Vaughn, Chris Harris
SS (2) Brian Dawkins, Quinton Carter
FS (3) Rahim Moore, Darcel McBath, David Bruton

K: (1) Matt Prater
P: (1) Britton Colquitt
LS: (1) Lonnie Paxton

Jimmy
09-04-2011, 06:09 PM
anybody surprised that mccarthy got the boot?

jCut
09-04-2011, 07:14 PM
bah. harris is done.

Not going to disagree with you there, but you can't tell me you'd rather have Mitch Unrein.

CT Bronco Fan
09-05-2011, 02:14 AM
CB Jonathan Wilhite signed after being waived by New Engalnd last week, Darcel McBath cut to make room.

Practice Squad:

QB Adam Weber
RB Jeremiah Johnson
FB Austin Sylvester
WR Eron Riley
WR D'Andre Goodman
OT Adam Grant
DE Jeremy Beal
S Kyle McCarthy

ATLDirtyBirds
09-06-2011, 01:44 PM
How has Von Miller looked? I always liked Miller more in a 4-3 than 3-4. I likened him to Wilbur Marshall on the 85 Bears.

I don't know how you guys are using him. I'm assuming as a blitzing downhill LB on 1st and 2nd down and a DE on 3rd?

What's his weight? I thought 235 was a good weight for him, depending on how you guys play him. If he sees a lot of plays on the dline, then 245'ish.

Same question here.

asdf1223
09-06-2011, 02:15 PM
Watched him vs the Seahawks in preseason. Abused James Carpenter all day pretty much.

Diehard
09-06-2011, 05:16 PM

Interesting you make that comparison, as Allen has some 46 is his bag of tricks...

Honestly, he looks great. His off-the-snap quickness is dangerous... that kind of speed is so hard to counter. I can totally see why Fox (who always liked speed at LB) would want this guy. He's a very nice completement to Doom - the two of them coming from opposite sides has been very disruptive in the preseason. Hopefully that will continue when the games actually count.

He's been near/on the line most of the time. He's not strictly a blitzer - he has coverage responsibilities for the TE and hasn't looked too bad. There are some 46-like looks (but with the SLB + SS lined up together, rather than WLB+SLB), a lot of 4-3 under, even some 3-3-5 stuff with him and Doom both standing up. In the 40 front nickel, the NT comes out and Miller turns into a DE.

Officially it is 237. It seems to be a good size for him. He didn't look overmatched pass rushing from the DE spot - in fact, he had a few really nice bull rushes in preseason that caught the OT's unaware.

Timbathia
09-11-2011, 11:38 PM
Cant wait for tomorrow night - even if I dont have particularly high hopes for the season. Loved the Chiefs getting stomped - not really sure why as I have no particular malice to them or their fans. Maybe its just that I want someone else in the division to be bad like us.

Diehard
09-13-2011, 02:23 AM
It's the same old **** as last year. Can't run, can't stop the run, stupid penalties, Orton fails under pressure / in the red zone.

Anyway, I've seen this bit before... I don't need a repeat. I hope the team doesn't believe we'll be fooled by the cosmetic FO/HC makeover. If the product on the field looks the same, fans are going to have zero patience.

Dumervil's injury made him a non-factor. Moore and Moreno banged up as well. Hopefully none of these are serious as we don't have enough depth to absorb this kind of ****.

Whatever glimmer of hope I had for the season is fading quickly.

Diehard
09-13-2011, 07:00 PM
i thought i wanted to stay up until 4am to watch. glad i didn't.

You are lucky you didn't. Both teams played like ******* ****. That the game was on national TV was an embarassment.

but then, i don't think most of us (aside from early season optimism) really expected this to be a competitive team this season. there's still such a long road before we can actually say we have talent...

Talent is one thing. But you can still execute and have discipline without top-flight talent. The execution SUCKED ******* bigtime. In all phases. It was as if they took the clown car to the stadium.

Argh.

Timbathia
09-13-2011, 08:03 PM
Talent is one thing. But you can still execute and have discipline without top-flight talent. The execution SUCKED ******* bigtime. In all phases. It was as if they took the clown car to the stadium.

This is the problem I have with it. We know it will take a few years to restock the talent cupboard, but the **** we did wrong yesterday has little to do with talent.

I am happy to give Orton about a month. At some point it becomes irrelevant how good or bad the guy behind him is, because the fact remains that without an all-pro o-line, running game and defense, Orton is not good enough to get us where we want to go.

jCut
09-14-2011, 11:31 PM
On a positive note, I really like Eric Decker.

Diehard
09-15-2011, 01:01 PM
On a positive note, I really like Eric Decker.

Yeah, WR is one (and maybe only) area where we are really solid.

Diehard
09-15-2011, 03:13 PM
Updated injury info:

Champ Bailey (hamstring)
Brandon Lloyd (groin)
Knowshon Moreno (hamstring)
Elvis Dumervil (shoulder)
D.J. Williams (elbow)
Marcus Thomas (chest)
Demaryius Thomas (Achilles)
Ty Warren (triceps)

We're screwed. Sorry, I meant F-U-C-K-E-D! The passing game is going to have to be firing on all cylinders to salvage anything out of this mess.

jCut
09-17-2011, 11:54 AM
Updated injury info:

Champ Bailey (hamstring)
Brandon Lloyd (groin)
Knowshon Moreno (hamstring)
Elvis Dumervil (shoulder)
D.J. Williams (elbow)
Marcus Thomas (chest)
Demaryius Thomas (Achilles)
Ty Warren (triceps)

We're screwed. Sorry, I meant F-U-C-K-E-D! The passing game is going to have to be firing on all cylinders to salvage anything out of this mess.

Umm.. yeah. Champ Bailey and Elvis Dumervil are absolutely vital to our pass-defense, which seemed like our only defensive strength. Dennis Allen is going to have to get creative tomorrow.

Diehard
09-17-2011, 08:57 PM
JJ promoted from practice squad to fill in for Moreno (crossing my fingers he can flash something).

Warren to IR. ******* slug. There's a bunch of $$$ down the tubes. This is the downside to limiting your shopping trips to the bargain basement.

Diehard
09-17-2011, 09:27 PM
the official site lists demaryius out with a finger injury... that's entertaining.

When you're a glass man like DT, they might as well list is it as (body)

i have to imagine johnson can replace moreno's epic 2.8 ypc.

Perhaps, but someone does have to block for him. The interior OL was dog**** against the Raiders. Apparently Kuper picked up some sort of toe injury, which explains the Jekyll-and-Hyde act as he was looking very good coming into the season. Beadles and Walton have no such excuse.

Diehard
09-18-2011, 10:45 PM
Despite the offense's best efforts at self-destructing late in the game, we managed to win. Will wonders never cease?

The injury situation is ridiculous. We had the majority of the payroll out of the game today. Royal going down left us with 2 receivers active... though once Decker got the bad plays out of his system he was beast enough to take care of business on his own.

The defense had its struggles, particularly once the Bengals started airing it out, but in the end they won this game... and that's saying something considering our best DE, LB and DB were all out along with our two starting DTs. Our LB's Miller, Woodyard and Mays all made some nice plays out there. Ayers was also creating a lot of pressure and made a huge play vs that bootleg attempt.

McGahee showed how nice footwork and a little patience can lead to good rushing yardage. Moreno needs to take notes. In fact, I'd be happy if McGahee and Ball handled the first down and short yardage situations, leaving Moreno to handle mid/long yardage on 2nd and 3rd down.

I absolutely hated the offense for the constant misfiring after Decker scored for the second time. Orton with bad passes, OL with penalties, terrible playcalling with the clock running down, McGahee going out of bounds... ugh. I think the offense could be very effective if they could consistently execute, but apparently that is far too much to ask.

TitanHope
09-21-2011, 12:36 AM
Yeah, WR is one (and maybe only) area where we are really solid.

Nonsense! What if, like, in like ten years, AJ Green is like, an Pro Bowler or something?

/Halsey

Diehard
09-21-2011, 02:14 PM
Nonsense! What if, like, in like ten years, AJ Green is like, an Pro Bowler or something?

/Halsey

Channelling the spirit of Halsey, eh?

I had a "discussion" with someone on the team board along the same lines... he was all hot and bothered about "his boy" Green and how we definitely should've drafted him because OMGZ he's killing us, etc, etc, etc...

I mean, really, who cares about defense anyway. We haven't had one for such a long time (Larry Coyer under Shanny?) that we barely knew what we were missing. The idea that the defense could stiffen and actually pull the game out of the fire was so alien to our fanbase that they're still confused about whether we actually won the game.

09-21-2011, 08:19 PM
Remember that time we allowed like, one touchdown combined in the first 6 weeks? Those were the days.

Diehard
09-25-2011, 07:15 PM
We should've won this game. The blame lies on the coaching staff, Orton and OL. Of course, since Orton is a total ******* douchebag and cocksucking ***** he tried to deflect the blame in his post-game presser...

The status quo isn't good enough. Changes need to be made if the team is serious about winning any more games. If they are happy to throw the season, then let's get all the young guys in there and see what we've got to build on.

09-25-2011, 08:40 PM
After the third game, he rose again.

http://www.draftpartyblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Tim-Tebow-Jesus.png

Timbathia
09-25-2011, 11:37 PM
I dont want to make this about why Fox is not starting Tebow. That being said, during the season last year it was plainly obvious that pulling Orton at the goal line and putting in Tebow was an exceptionally effective way at scoring short-yardage touchdowns. Starting running backs get pulled at the goal line all the time in the NFL. Why is pulling a QB inside the 5 such a problem? Our o-line gets a crap push, and our starting QB is anti-clutch in the red zone. Starting QB debate aside - put the ******* guy in that gets you short ******* yardage tds. For **** sake.

CT Bronco Fan
09-26-2011, 12:07 AM
i love the play-calling. 'what, did you say we can't run up the middle because our offensive line is terrible? f that, i'm calling three straight dive plays.'

I can understand not starting Tebow, but I am baffled as to why he didn't get a play on the goal line.

jCut
09-26-2011, 10:40 AM
Looked like our defense was real solid. McCoy needs to go. I'm still baffled that he was kept. Just because he and Fox had prior history? Please.

And Orton proves yet again that he is piss-poor in clutch situations.

Diehard
09-26-2011, 12:03 PM
Elway was on 102.3 this morning and was asked why Tebow didn't come in for the goal line plays. Instead of the typical "Orton's our guy" answer, he said something like "that's a very good question" and mentioned the various packages they installed for Tebow. That got my attention a bit, as did his comments about Orton starting being a "week by week" thing.

Diehard
09-26-2011, 02:40 PM
2) gives the coaching staff a realistic chance to decide if there's enough there to go on, or if qb is our top off-season need. i'm pretty sure he'll show that his throwing motion is unfixable, that he's not really a good enough thrower to play at an nfl level, and that our horrific red zone offense had/has nothing to do with orton.

I agree - putting Tebow in is going to answer a lot of questions one way or another. It needs to be done and I think it probably will happen... maybe after the bye?

jCut
10-02-2011, 10:00 PM
Didn't watch the game, but I did see the pick-six Orton threw to Woodson (really dumb decision). I really don't see why Orton gets so much support with the local media. It's not that we want Tebow, it's that we want ANYBODY but Orton.

Diehard
10-02-2011, 11:07 PM
Didn't watch the game, but I did see the pick-six Orton threw to Woodson (really dumb decision). I really don't see why Orton gets so much support with the local media. It's not that we want Tebow, it's that we want ANYBODY but Orton.

The pick 6 was pretty much the end. We gave the illusion of being an interesting opponent until that happened, then GB jumped on us.

We weren't going to win that game in any case, but Orton just flushing it away with a brutal unforced error like that isn't what this teams needs.

It seems like the local media is in cahoots with the team in terms of spinning the issue. It doesn't really matter because the fanbase already sees through this thin charade, which apparently bothers the team because Fox was quite spiteful in his postgame comments. Not the smartest move on his part... pissing off the fans usually isn't a recipe for success when you're the coach of a struggling team.

jCut
10-02-2011, 11:52 PM
It seems like the local media is in cahoots with the team in terms of spinning the issue. It doesn't really matter because the fanbase already sees through this thin charade, which apparently bothers the team because Fox was quite spiteful in his postgame comments. Not the smartest move on his part... pissing off the fans usually isn't a recipe for success when you're the coach of a struggling team.

Agreed. I don't like how the fans are made out to be the bad guys. And no, it's not that we love comparing every quarterback in town to John Elway. It's because we have won titles in this town and we don't accept anything but success. The quickest step to success in the midst of a rebuilding season like this, is to find out who can play and who can't. Find out which areas need to be most immediately addressed. QB is always the first priority. We know what we have in Orton. Put Tebow in. Hell, put Quinn in.

Punisher
10-03-2011, 01:49 PM
Question for NJX or any Broncos fan. How has Von Miller looked this season? I see the stats show he's been good, but besides one game I really haven't been able to catch much Broncos action this year,

jCut
10-03-2011, 04:55 PM
i don't even know what the team needs anymore. our running backs are weak, but how much of that is because the o line is horrific? kyle orton's never going to do more than manage a good team to being good.

our d line is still getting pushed around, and we're 25th overall in sacks. we'd be worse (in fact, tied for 30th), but for a couple of cb blitzes. how much of that is because doom has been out and how much is because of coaching?

our linebackers still appear to be lost, especially in pass coverage.

our dbs are utter garbage, but at least i like some of the things rahim has done.

is it weird that our special teams might be the strongest part of the team? prater's only miss was 50+, and he's been great on kick offs (that i've seen, i can't find TB stats). colquitt's been absolutely fantastic from what i've seen (4th in net, averaging all of 3 yards per return). sure, our wideouts have looked good, but i'm guessing we'd be getting blown out far more if we were still giving up punt returns and kick returns like we used to.

bleh. i'm starting to think that thinking this was a 3-year or so rebuilding project was wildly optimistic. if i had to guess, we've become the bills of the last decade.

I think you gotta get your franchise signal-caller and then build from the trenches out. That's always the blueprint for success. A good o-line will make your offense look better and a good d-line will make it easier on your coverage. That doesn't mean I don't think we need a better RB or a better CB, because we do. But, address the OL and DL for ***** sake.

Diehard
10-03-2011, 05:58 PM
I think you gotta get your franchise signal-caller and then build from the trenches out. That's always the blueprint for success. A good o-line will make your offense look better and a good d-line will make it easier on your coverage. That doesn't mean I don't think we need a better RB or a better CB, because we do. But, address the OL and DL for ***** sake.

The OL actually looked good against the Packers. I was particularly surprised by how well Franklin held up against Matthews & Co. I still think some upgrades would be wise (a veteran C and competition at G or T), but we may find this unit developing nicely under Magazu as the season progresses.

The current DL is decent against the run. A pass rusher from the interior DL would be a huge boost, considering the pressure Doom and Miller are already creating on the outside.

Diehard
10-03-2011, 06:01 PM
Question for NJX or any Broncos fan. How has Von Miller looked this season? I see the stats show he's been good, but besides one game I really haven't been able to catch much Broncos action this year,

With Champ and Doom both struggling with injuries, Miller has been the best player on the defense. He still makes rookie errors, but he also makes the kind of impact plays we've been missing from the LB spot since Al Wilson left the team.

He's definitely in the running for DPOY.

cvv84
10-03-2011, 06:59 PM
The OL actually looked good against the Packers. I was particularly surprised by how well Franklin held up against Matthews & Co. I still think some upgrades would be wise (a veteran C and competition at G or T), but we may find this unit developing nicely under Magazu as the season progresses.

Our pass rush has been ka-putz this season :(

HEISMANHERSCHEL
10-04-2011, 04:52 AM
I am not a troll...I am just curious.

Is there a reason Tebow is not playing at all? I don't get a chance to see the Broncos much. I am not claiming to know what is going on with the Broncos.

I was not a huge fan of Tebow as a prospect during draft time. I am not a Tebow guy by any means. But at some point don't you have to give the guy a chance? I am really not trying to start anything-I am just wondering if he has been THAT bad that he can't be given a chance.

If he fails-okay. Then you can put him to bed. But what is the point of not giving him a chance? If you can't trade him now, why not give him some time?

Once again-I am not trying to pour gas on the fire. I am just wondering if there is anyone that has an answer to this? I think everyone wants to see the guy play.

jCut
10-04-2011, 08:28 PM
I am not a troll...I am just curious.

Is there a reason Tebow is not playing at all? I don't get a chance to see the Broncos much. I am not claiming to know what is going on with the Broncos.

I was not a huge fan of Tebow as a prospect during draft time. I am not a Tebow guy by any means. But at some point don't you have to give the guy a chance? I am really not trying to start anything-I am just wondering if he has been THAT bad that he can't be given a chance.

If he fails-okay. Then you can put him to bed. But what is the point of not giving him a chance? If you can't trade him now, why not give him some time?

Once again-I am not trying to pour gas on the fire. I am just wondering if there is anyone that has an answer to this? I think everyone wants to see the guy play.

The coaching staff wants to stick with the veteran (Orton), because they feel he gives them the best chance to win. Obviously, Orton is the superior player in practice, but it hasn't really translated in games. After a 1-5 start they may change their mind. The thing that puzzles me, is they haven't developed a "Tebow package" yet, especially on a team that is devoid of playmakers.

Diehard
10-05-2011, 01:45 PM
ok, so you sort of disagreed with most of what i said. and although it probably sounds snotty and antagonistic, i mean it honestly: why do you suppose we got worked up and down the field by the packers? certainly there's a talent gulf, but no nfl team should basically get paraded up and down the field on defense.

Lack of interior pass rush + poor coverage.

GB receivers were getting off the line clean far too often and just streaking downfield. Our guys looked confused in zone and even with a decent outside pass rush, Rodgers was able to make easy connections downfield. They also exposed Dawkins in coverage a few times (e.g. the Nelson TD)... he just can't play that role anymore and even using him as a situational guy is dangerous since GB is willing to pass deep regardless of down.

We ran the ball pretty well. Orton got the protection he needed. In terms of what went wrong on offense, it was the turnovers by Orton and Fells that killed any chance of a good showing.

Diehard
10-05-2011, 01:51 PM
The coaching staff wants to stick with the veteran (Orton), because they feel he gives them the best chance to win. Obviously, Orton is the superior player in practice, but it hasn't really translated in games. After a 1-5 start they may change their mind. The thing that puzzles me, is they haven't developed a "Tebow package" yet, especially on a team that is devoid of playmakers.

There is a battle of wills at some level on this particular issue. Just look at Fox's postgame comments - he's dangerously close to getting into a direct conflict with the fans on the QB issue.

Whatever the team's "plan" is, it apparently didn't include letting Tebow see the field much this year. However, that plan has been totally compromised by the poor play of Orton. The team is getting forced in a direction they didn't want to go, which in general tends to bring out the worst in people... particularly people who are in decision-making positions.

It's an interesting and totally unnecessary drama for the team and the media (local and national) seem quite happy to jump on it as well. We'll have to see what happens over the next few weeks...

jCut
10-09-2011, 10:55 PM
Well, that puts an end to the Orton/Tebow dilemma.

jCut
10-10-2011, 12:12 AM
i guess... tebow will probably have to eventually complete a pass that doesn't involve a circus catch by lloyd to keep playing. interesting, though, how much harder the team seemed to play as soon as he came in.

Tebow did have some overthrows, but he settled down after he got his feet wet. It really helps when you have a solid run game, and McGahee and the OL (credit is due) provided that. And a lot of people discount it, but Tim's attitude really does rub-off on others. I've been disinterested all year, but I was fired-up watching the end of that game.

Also, DJ Williams is an idiot.

crossroads
10-10-2011, 11:17 AM
I only caught bits and pieces of the first half and the 4th quarter...anyone know why Von Miller was being benched for Haggan?

jCut
10-10-2011, 11:31 AM
he didn't ever settle down. i think he delivered one pass that was on target all game. other than that, he threw like brady quinn.

I liked the three late throws to Lloyd, two of which he dropped (including the crucial drop on the two point conversion). They weren't perfect by any stretch but he put the ball in spots where Lloyd had a chance to make a play. I don't think you could've asked for much more out of Tim during those last three drives.

10-10-2011, 12:14 PM
What I like about Tebow is that not only is he not Kyle Orton, he isn't Brady Quinn either.

jCut
10-10-2011, 11:59 PM
wait, you mean the only lloyd had to make an absolute circus catch on? you *liked* that throw? granted, he hit moreno on a swing/screen and a wide open fells. after throwing 8 straight balls into the dirt in front of open receivers.

I liked it, because it was completed and put into a spot where the defenders didn't have a chance and Lloyd did. I also liked the sideline throw that Lloyd dropped and the pass to Decker that was barely overthrown, but hit him in the hands. I've already conceded that his first few possessions weren't pretty, but I don't by any means think it's a stretch to say he "settled down" late. And Fells was only open because Tebow scrambled around for a few extra seconds and made something out of nothing.

Chris
10-16-2011, 01:17 PM
Hello guys. Excited for the rest of the year? ^_^

CT Bronco Fan
10-17-2011, 12:12 PM
mortreport Chris Mortensen
Rams give up a 6th rounder in 2012 that could become a 5th rounder depending Lloyd's pass receptions

There are just no words to express my displeasure in this move.

jCut
10-17-2011, 05:03 PM
Meh. I don't mind it. The compensation isn't great, but Lloyd obviously didn't want to work with Tebow in his contract year. Besides, everyone knew Orton was his boy. This is a move that will allow us to get a good look at Demaryius Thomas, who should be back next week.

Diehard
10-17-2011, 05:51 PM
It goes to a 5th if he catches 30 according to Schefter earlier today, which I think would be pretty much a lock to happen as long as he stays healthy. Considering the Rams' potential draft position, that could end up being a decent pick.

The bottom line is we weren't going to extend him for a number of reasons. The team is ready to move on with the younger WRs.

Diehard
10-23-2011, 04:04 PM
Things I learned:

1. The defense is credible

I'm not saying we're great on D, but we've got some playmakers on that side of the ball and Dennis Allen calls a pretty good game. That's a welcome change from many years of failure.

2. Fox hates offense

Yeah, I know McCoy has official playcalling duties, but face it, he's obviously working within the framework/expectations laid out by his boss. The offensive playcalling for 75% of the game was Fox's special kind of ugly. I liked some of the situational run calls, but overall I found myself groaning in agony as lame call after lame call came in. They didn't even give Tebow the kind of short stuff that is usually employed to give a young QB some quick wins - screens, slants, RB in the flats, rollouts to the TE, etc.

Of course, when the game is pretty much over they decide to mix things up a bit... lo and behold, 2 TDs and a 2 pt conversion. Sadly, once we get to OT Fox goes back to his old tricks. I really hope the team takes a very hard look at how they call a game. The Erhardt-Perkins offense is a fine one... but its motto of "pass to score, run to win" seems to have been forgotten by the powers-that-be.

3. Tebow is clutch

Say what you want about this kid, but he came through in the crunch. Orton could never do that, in fact, his game would always get worse when the pressure was on. I can only hope Tebow will get more comfortable over the next few weeks and that the team will scheme things to put him in position to be successful.

SolidGold
10-23-2011, 04:08 PM
Things I learned:

1. The defense is credible

I'm not saying we're great on D, but we've got some playmakers on that side of the ball and Dennis Allen calls a pretty good game. That's a welcome change from many years of failure.

2. Fox hates offense

Yeah, I know McCoy has official playcalling duties, but face it, he's obviously working within the framework/expectations laid out by his boss. The offensive playcalling for 75% of the game was Fox's special kind of ugly. I liked some of the situational run calls, but overall I found myself groaning in agony as lame call after lame call came in. They didn't even give Tebow the kind of short stuff that is usually employed to give a young QB some quick wins - screens, slants, RB in the flats, rollouts to the TE, etc.

Of course, when the game is pretty much over they decide to mix things up a bit... lo and behold, 2 TDs and a 2 pt conversion. Sadly, once we get to OT Fox goes back to his old tricks. I really hope the team takes a very hard look at how they call a game. The Erhardt-Perkins offense is a fine one... but its motto of "pass to score, run to win" seems to have been forgotten by the powers-that-be.

3. Tebow is clutch

Say what you want about this kid, but he came through in the crunch. Orton could never do that, in fact, his game would always get worse when the pressure was on. I can only hope Tebow will get more comfortable over the next few weeks and that the team will scheme things to put him in position to be successful.

Completely agree with the Tebow assessment. Fox is doing nothing to help Tebow out at all. So glad he lead them to victory if not just to piss off all the ESPN experts and njx

jCut
10-23-2011, 07:53 PM
Rotate the QBs; Orton for the first three quarters and Timmy for the 4th.

Chris
10-24-2011, 11:54 AM
According to Vic Lombardi, the Broncos are extremely interested in RG III.

Diehard
10-25-2011, 05:30 PM
According to Vic Lombardi, the Broncos are extremely interested in RG III.

After all the hoopla about us looking at QB's in the last draft, I'll believe it when I see it.

If Fox can swallow his pride and let the staff truly build the offensive approach around Tebow's skill set, we'll be fine at QB. That a big "if", though...

Diehard
10-25-2011, 11:28 PM
realistically, it comes down to either forgetting the passing game, except in rare circumstances, tebow playing like a first round pick for more than a couple of drives in a game, or getting a guy who *can* play qb. tebow's clearly a leader. guys will rally with him when he plays well. but he has to actually play well or all the leadership in the world doesn't matter.

That's fair enough.

The thing about the offense is this: if we are dead set on the run - dropback playaction - punt routine then we might as well bring someone else in. I don't see Tebow ever developing into a great dropback passer.

Tebow is made for the spread. If you want him under center, then build in the rollouts and bootlegs to go with the handoffs. Jake Plummer wasn't much of a dropback passer, but Shanahan installed/called plays that made the most of his strengths. Fox and Co need to take a page from that book, even if it puts them outside their comfort zone.