PDA

View Full Version : Hondo's Final Lions Mini-Camp Breakdown

lionsfan81
05-07-2007, 11:32 PM
Final Lions 2007 rookie mini-camp report
By Hondo S. Carpenter Sr.

Allen Park, MI

O.K. let’s be honest. Maybe I am a freak. Here was a great spring weekend with temperatures hovering around 70 degrees and I am thrilled to have spent it inside at the Lions 2007 rookie mini-camp! Anyways, there were a lot of great things about this weekend and here is my wrap up report.

1. Sarge Marinelli has gotten himself the complete staff he wanted and they were incredible at this camp. His guys gave instruction and motivation but most of all were able to make sure the guys who will make the team got some special time, something they won’t get when all the Vets show up. He came away real excited.
2. Ryan Sylvan the 6’4” 274# TE out of Ohio University who came into this camp as a rookie free agent was one of the top five players at this camp and he will get an invitation back. He was exceptional and has a great first step that could do wonders in the Martz system. Write is name down because I told you first that he is a player and if he avoids injury will make this team.
3. Calvin is Calvin. He continued to marvel the staff and Millen told me “he is like Jerry Rice in that he works so hard and does so much that you have to make him pace it a little bit.” It is very evident he is a star.
4. Drew Stanton had a much-improved fifth practice today (you can read my previous article) but he also will continue to get “broke down” by Martz and it will be great to see. Right now Martz is working on his grip so that makes it hard to throw a ball when you have done it one-way for 23 years!
5. IAF is going to be a star. He spent so much time doing private “Mr. Miyagi” (Karate Kid reference) time with Sarge such as hand slaps and punches just working on hand speed. “He is special and I really do like the way he moves, he can do some great things here” was Sarge’s reaction. Millen spoke to Howie Long right after the draft and told him that IAF looks a lot like Howie did. As much as Millen loves his friend Howie Long that is huge praise. IAF also loves my new nickname for him and thought it was “really great” that he has a nickname already. IAF will stand!
6. Gerald Alexander is going to be a John Lynch type player. He has a great ability to control his feet and hips and the Lions had offers to trade him after the draft and right after the pick but they hung on to him. This kid has some real special skills and “will be right there in the top three safety mix” according to Sarge.
7. A.J. Davis does run a 4.28 according to folks in the know. His speed not only separates him from the boys but he also has a real nose of the ball. You can’t teach instinct and that is the word for that kid.
8. Johnny Baldwin has some good ball skills and although he is very raw, he will make this team and I predict could be the starting MLB by week nine. He is really good at “feeling” the play. In case you don’t understand that another way of saying it is to call it instinct. Especially at the MLB you have to be able to feel things going on around you while following the play. He is raw but he has the skills.
9. Manny Ramirez is a great kid. I was talking with him yesterday and he told me about being from humble roots and that although they didn’t have a lot that his family worked hard and had a lot of love. I thought he was going to cry when he talked about grabbing this opportunity and making the most of it to better them. It was a real touching story and you could tell he meant it by how hard he worked.
10. It was shocking to see how many players that are Vets that already on are the team that came out to check things out. I wrote about it already but the Vets were here in masse and it sent a message that they cared and that this team is moving forward.

Overall it was a great weekend for the Lion. Again I predict that the above seven draft picks and Rudy Sylvan the undrafted TE make this team. That is huge and it effectively overhauls the locker room and roster like Sarge wanted!

The information about Gerald Alexander is really encouraging and its sounding like, barring injury, that this class will end up to be one of Millen's best. I also like that we probably found a TE in this class as we could use another one on the team.

WMD
05-08-2007, 01:40 AM
Nice.. we got Jerry Rice, Howie Long, and John Lynch all from the same draft!

D-Unit
05-08-2007, 02:57 AM
Sounds like he should've shot higher in those comparisons.

Addict
05-08-2007, 09:58 AM
Sounds like he should've shot higher in those comparisons.

Yeah, why compare our rookies to that bunch of screw-ups?!

asmitty45
05-09-2007, 12:02 PM
im surprised they got offers for Alexander when so many of the critics said it was a major reach.

Addict
05-09-2007, 01:08 PM
im surprised they got offers for Alexander when so many of the critics said it was a major reach.

critics are morons.

Iamcanadian
05-09-2007, 04:53 PM

That's funny.

DoWnThEfiElD
05-12-2007, 10:38 AM
Yeah, why compare our rookies to that bunch of screw-ups?!

LOL ya consider Millen's track record when do we ever pick screw-ups...

iloxygenil
05-12-2007, 11:15 AM
Sounds like that guy is a little bit TOO excited to be a Lions fan =) lol But hey, maybe there is hope for Millen yet...this draft will tell.

ironman4579
05-12-2007, 01:13 PM
It does seem like a good draft class. However, most every team is excited about their new players. It's the fact that you can hope these guys are the next Jerry Rice, Instead of knowing you've got(had) the first Mike Williams.

Apriori
05-12-2007, 03:59 PM
Sounds like this Hondo guy is gripping and sipping some Kool-Aid.

TheMadLionsFan
05-12-2007, 04:07 PM
I refuse to get excited about this crap......I've been excited before and got hosed...I'll wait until the season starts and they are doing great things with the big boys before I start drooling

Bootland27
05-12-2007, 07:15 PM
I refuse to get excited about this crap......I've been excited before and got hosed...I'll wait until the season starts and they are doing great things with the big boys before I start drooling

AMEN. I go to restaurants in the downtown during august every year, and people tell me why I can't be more positive about the lions. I swear if someone says that to me again......I'll chokeslam him.

Addict
05-12-2007, 08:45 PM

I'm exited, but then again I love being dissapointed. That's why I talk to girls in bars.

LionSmack
05-12-2007, 09:46 PM
Yeah, obviously Hondo is way way WAY over the edge on the positive side. I think it's a good thing to have at least one person giving the most positive possible side of the story, but only as a small part of the overall picture.