PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Falcons Discussion

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8

iloxygenil
12-11-2006, 10:57 AM
No reason for Jason Webster to ever see a Falcons jersey again. Unfortunately he will, but as long as Jimmy is healthy, there is no reason for him to become the starter again. Jimmy playing like he did yesterday makes our defense so much better.

scar988
12-11-2006, 11:21 AM
I think Webster would be fine at CB as long as he is the Nickel. If he gets healthy for Saturday I don't see how it would hurt us. I mean Jimmy on TO, Hall on Glenn, and Webster on Crayton would give us the advantage in at least 2 of the match ups. Against Philly or Carolina it wouldn't hurt us either. Rossum would be better suited to be our #4 CB anyway.

iloxygenil
12-11-2006, 04:39 PM
I don't want Rossum on this team next season either. I am ready for some fresh meat in the secondary, we need a pretty big turnover back there to help bolster it. Also it'd be great to pickup a couple WRs...in the draft...later in the draft, unless we get Jarrett...if we get 2 first rounders...wow...how nice it'd be to pickup "The Eraser" and Jarrett.

Shiver
12-11-2006, 05:29 PM
I want a premier Left Tackle, I don't want to go into next season with a 36-year old Wayne Gandy and a "?" in Frank Omiyale as his backup. Look at the impact Marcus McNeil is making for San Diego. Supposedly, Gibbs is going to retire for good. Cable will not restrict McKay when it comes to the draft.

iloxygenil
12-11-2006, 06:43 PM
I would say I definately want a great offensive linemen. If we are going to go away from the Gibbs system I'd love to get a big monster pass blocker to protect Vick. We need to improve pass blocking, not run blocking. Jerious isn't going to need monster holes to run through. Joe Thomas would be amazing...Justin Blaylock...etc etc etc. Lots of great linemen out there and I'd love to pick a few up. Always gotta win that battle in the trenches that's vital to winning the game, and when we give Vick time, it makes him that much more dangerous. Levi Brown is nasty...but the guy who is being overlooked imo is Jake Long from Michigan...he's HUGE...so it would cause problems for Vick's vision, but he's a monster, and a fantastic blocker, period.

Shiver
12-11-2006, 06:47 PM
I don't think Vick's vision is a problem, Brees is shorter than Vick and his Line is much bigger and beefier than our own. Even Jaws, one of the most critical of Vick, said that if Vick has a calm pocket he stays in there and throws accurately.

scar988
12-11-2006, 07:43 PM
I would say I definately want a great offensive linemen. If we are going to go away from the Gibbs system I'd love to get a big monster pass blocker to protect Vick. We need to improve pass blocking, not run blocking. Jerious isn't going to need monster holes to run through. Joe Thomas would be amazing...Justin Blaylock...etc etc etc. Lots of great linemen out there and I'd love to pick a few up. Always gotta win that battle in the trenches that's vital to winning the game, and when we give Vick time, it makes him that much more dangerous. Levi Brown is nasty...but the guy who is being overlooked imo is Jake Long from Michigan...he's HUGE...so it would cause problems for Vick's vision, but he's a monster, and a fantastic blocker, period.Cable is keeping Gibbs scheme. he ran the ZBS at UCLA with guys who couldn't move and did a horrible job. here he loves how well the guys move. we will keep the same size issue thing and we probably won't go OL in the first round still. but we will go OL in the first day and there are a lot of good ZBS pass blockers this year. Doug Free, Joe Staley, Joe Thomas they fit. Blalock, Brown, Long, they are big but they are not quick and they are not as good as pass blocking as you think they are (they all project to RT at te pro level for a reason)

ans Shiver, McNeil is horrible for the ZBS run scheme Cable is keeping. he will change the pass blocking to what he had a UCLA but he will not change the run blocking. his pass blocking was based on speed and it has improved this year despite the stats.

Shiver
12-11-2006, 08:55 PM
A lot of teams run zone blocking run systems, they can work with big lineman. Marcus McNeil was more athletic, quick, and fast than Quinn Ojinnaka was coming out last year, with 30-lbs more. Because he is naturally talented, that's what we need. Like the Colts, they use a run scheme like we do, except they have a big and athletic, all-pro LT in Tarik Glenn. The Broncos have George Foster. Cable's UCLA team had bigger lineman than what Alex Gibbs prefers.

d34ng3l021
12-12-2006, 01:16 AM
I think to fix our OL woes, we have to pick OL higher in the draft. Small athletic guys are supposed to be better in pass protection. Just the fact that they have been picked in the 6th round is what brings them down. I really like Sam Baker. I would love for Nelson and Baker as our first 2 picks (somehow.)

scar988
12-12-2006, 07:20 AM
A lot of teams run zone blocking run systems, they can work with big lineman. Marcus McNeil was more athletic, quick, and fast than Quinn Ojinnaka was coming out last year, with 30-lbs more. Because he is naturally talented, that's what we need. Like the Colts, they use a run scheme like we do, except they have a big and athletic, all-pro LT in Tarik Glenn. The Broncos have George Foster. Cable's UCLA team had bigger lineman than what Alex Gibbs prefers.
Cable's linemen were also horrible run blockers. Also, while McNeill was timed to be more quick and fast, Ojinnaka plays faster than McNeill does in game. Also, McNeill isn't playing in a ZBS right now though. he is playing in a man blocking scheme. McNeill also has a spinal issue. If we were going to go BIG and talented and fast we would be looking at guys who still fit the scheme for instance, Joe Thomas fits, but Levi Brown isn't all that quick and is more of a power guy. but if you look at some of the top tackles in the draft they all seem to fit the ZBS but Brown and Blalock. This is Scott's top 10 tackles with who fits the ZBS out of it bolded.
1. Joe Thomas Wisconsin 6-8 313 5.00
2. Levi Brown Penn St. 6-5 328 5.30
3. Joe Staley Central Michigan 6-5 300 4.75
4. Arron Sears Tennessee 6-4 320 5.30 - as a guard
5. Ryan Harris Notre Dame 6-5 292 5.20
6. Doug Free Northern Illinois 6-7 302 5.10
7. James Marten Boston College 6-7 307 5.30
8. Tony Ugoh Arkansas 6-5 314 5.40
9. Brandon Frye Virginia Tech 6-4 302 4.95
10. Mike Otto Purdue 6-5 304 5.15

that's 7 of the top 10 tackles. we could go with talent while not exactly going with size and still get some guys who fit our scheme.

iloxygenil
12-12-2006, 11:52 AM
I would love to get some of those linemen...Joe Staley is my 2nd Favorite...but #1 for people we'll have a chance to pick up. Wonder if he'll be there in the 2nd round...I REALLY would like to get Nelson with our first pick and if Jarret is there then I want him with our 2nd pick. Assuming we get a first round pick from Schaub...which I don't see how we'll get anything less...but yeah. I am getting more intrigued by the prospect of Dwayne...his size and ability to catch the ball with great routes draws me in to him. I know Mike Williams kinda turns people off to him, so I'm wondering how far he'll slide in the draft. With all the WRs available this year, one of these guys has to slip into the second round and some of these guys like Johnnie Lee Higgins is going to be there in the second or third and that is amazing, considering his production.

Shiver
12-12-2006, 03:20 PM
The only reason McNeil slipped was due to his spinal cord issue. Otherwise, he'd be selected in the top-10. A 6'5" 330-lbs LT, who didn't yield a sack in the SEC while running near the top of the speed and agility drills for the OL prospects at the combine. Whereas in this draft, there are no situations where an uber-talented lineman will slip due to similar concerns like that. Still, there are plenty of day one types, and we need to get one to fill in at LT. The only lineman we don't need are lead footed RT types, and 6'2" 340-lbs road grading interior lineman.

scar988
12-12-2006, 04:46 PM
The only reason McNeil slipped was due to his spinal cord issue. Otherwise, he'd be selected in the top-10. A 6'5" 330-lbs LT, who didn't yield a sack in the SEC while running near the top of the speed and agility drills for the OL prospects at the combine. Whereas in this draft, there are no situations where an uber-talented lineman will slip due to similar concerns like that. Still, there are plenty of day one types, and we need to get one to fill in at LT. The only lineman we don't need are lead footed RT types, and 6'2" 340-lbs road grading interior lineman.Shiver, this is the year of the Gibbs lineman. there are so many guys who are in the 6'5" 315 or less range and quick that fit our scheme so well in this draft. there will be some guys in the 3rd and 4th rounds who would be 2nd and 3rd rounders in other years.

Shiver
12-12-2006, 05:20 PM
Our needs;

LT
FS
DE
RB

In my opinion.

bearsfan_51
12-12-2006, 06:00 PM
We claimed Nick Turnbull off of waivers from you crazy cats. I doubt he even makes the gameday roster this year but I'm just curious if you guys know anything about him.

Gracias.

Shiver
12-12-2006, 06:11 PM
Well, we aren't exactly deep or very talented at the safety position, so that should tell you enough.

bearsfan_51
12-12-2006, 06:18 PM
Well, we aren't exactly deep or very talented at the safety position, so that should tell you enough.
Lovie will turn him into liquid dynomite. Lovie can do no wrong.

Shiver
12-12-2006, 09:07 PM
Probably, we take talented players and make them worse. The Bears are the opposites. :lol:

Titans10
12-12-2006, 11:58 PM
I have a few random questions that hopefully somebody can answer

Im going to the Incubus concert in Atlanta on january 23rd at the Tabernacle and had a few questions

Are there any hotels that would cost under $100 a night within walking distance to the tabernacle (going to be drunk and would rather not drive or pay for a taxi)

and is it safe to walk down the streets in downtown atl after dark?

scar988
12-13-2006, 02:41 AM
I have a few random questions that hopefully somebody can answer

Im going to the Incubus concert in Atlanta on january 23rd at the Tabernacle and had a few questions

Are there any hotels that would cost under $100 a night within walking distance to the tabernacle (going to be drunk and would rather not drive or pay for a taxi)

and is it safe to walk down the streets in downtown atl after dark?
no to both. you might as well start saving up now for a room of about 130 or so a night and walk in a pack on your way back to the hotel with a bunch of other incubus fans.

dpl85
12-13-2006, 03:23 PM
What are yalls thoughts and or concerns about the game? My concerns center around containing Vick running and Crumpler over the middle. I'm also pretty concernd about our OTs pass blocking Kerney and Abraham. We've been really good stopping the run all year but I'm still pretty concerned about that as I think yall are the #1 runnng team in the league and we seem to struggle a little against zone blocking teams like Denver last year.

Shiver
12-13-2006, 03:45 PM
What are yalls thoughts and or concerns about the game? My concerns center around containing Vick running and Crumpler over the middle. I'm also pretty concernd about our OTs pass blocking Kerney and Abraham. We've been really good stopping the run all year but I'm still pretty concerned about that as I think yall are the #1 runnng team in the league and we seem to struggle a little against zone blocking teams like Denver last year.

Kerney is on IR, first of all. The key for the Cowboys is to frustrate Vick in the pocket. If he has time, he is accurate, when pressured his mechanics break down. I'd bet that they will try and attack Davis and Williams early and often with spread formations.

As for your offense versus our defense, it should be a good matchup. The Falcons' defense has finally gotten healthy, but will be facing a very good offense. I suspect they will try to test Jimmy Williams, our rookie corner. Not sure Flozell can keep up with John Abraham.

dpl85
12-13-2006, 05:03 PM

Kerney is on IR, first of all. The key for the Cowboys is to frustrate Vick in the pocket. If he has time, he is accurate, when pressured his mechanics break down. I'd bet that they will try and attack Davis and Williams early and often with spread formations.

As for your offense versus our defense, it should be a good matchup. The Falcons' defense has finally gotten healthy, but will be facing a very good offense. I suspect they will try to test Jimmy Williams, our rookie corner. Not sure Flozell can keep up with John Abraham.
Does Jimmy Williams start or is he the nickel CB? Has he been a bit of a dissapointment thus far? We Cowboys fans know what that's like with Bobby Carpenter.

scar988
12-13-2006, 06:33 PM
Does Jimmy Williams start or is he the nickel CB? Has he been a bit of a dissapointment thus far? We Cowboys fans know what that's like with Bobby Carpenter.
he starts. he has had a little trouble with injuries but now that he is healthy he may even be put up against TO this week.

iloxygenil
12-14-2006, 01:16 AM
I am excited to see Jimmy on the field again, even if Webster is ready to go, I would much rather see Jimmy continue to start. If noone else noticed he hurried back to practice after Jimmy's great game on Sunday. Hopefully we'll be seeing Jimmy taking over and owning that role. I don't care if TO burns him, I want him to learn, as long as he doesn't cost us the game, it doesn't matter.

Shiver
12-15-2006, 01:10 AM
Scott just posted his scouting report of my boy, Michael Griffin from Texas. 8) He can cover, hit, do it all.

Number 10
12-15-2006, 12:59 PM
Please tell me the report I heard on Mora isn't true.

12-15-2006, 01:00 PM
Apparently Jim Mora wants out.

Shiver
12-15-2006, 01:14 PM
He tried to go political on Sirius saying "it was just a joke," even though he said he was "dead serious" during the alleged comments. If the Falcons lose against the Cowboys, I would say Mora is done as the Falcons coach. Even if he was joking, which may or may not be true, he caused a lot of damage.

Jughead10
12-15-2006, 02:03 PM
I just heard him says the comments on the radio. Kind of sounds in his voice like he was joking a bit, but you can't tell. Either way he shouldn't have said it.

2drama
12-15-2006, 03:56 PM
http://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/article.jsp?id=17169

Statement from Falcons Owner Arthur Blank on comments of Head Coach Jim Mora
December 15, 2006

"Everyone, including Jim, needs to be focused on winning tomorrow's game. We don't want this event to be a distraction to him, our other coaches or our players.

Jim's passion and commitment to Atlanta has never been a question. He has apologized for inappropriate remarks and understands the broader implications of what he said and how he said it, none of which were intended.

We hope our fans will not interpret this in any way as a lack of commitment on anyone's part at the Falcons.

Shiver
12-15-2006, 04:14 PM
DAMAGE CONTROL

Shiver
12-15-2006, 05:22 PM
Funny in a topic about Mora and the Falcons, Michael Vick is brought up and debated. Big surprise, when has that ever happened? :shock:

2drama
12-15-2006, 06:00 PM
Funny in a topic about Mora and the Falcons, Michael Vick is brought up and debated. Big surprise, when has that ever happened? :shock:

haters alway love to take shot at Mike Vick :oops:
Go falcons beat the Boys

:lol: :lol: can't wait 24hrs in counting

Shiver
12-15-2006, 06:26 PM
I could own them again, like the last uber-thread, but I don't feel like bothering.

2drama
12-16-2006, 01:10 AM
I could own them again, like the last uber-thread, but I don't feel like bothering.

the Falcons will show up against the Boys

shiver
i got fate

scar988
12-16-2006, 02:18 AM
yet another twist, Dunn returned to practice on friday. Dunn and Norwood could both play on saturday. :lol: :lol: :lol:

D-Rod
12-16-2006, 04:47 AM
i'm not sure which is more ridiculous, mora's comments or the mass over-reaction.

he was clearly joking. it was typical deadpan, faux-serious humour. what that relies upon, as a form of humour, is that people are initially shocked, then quickly realise that it is a joke. problem is, people in certain walks of life (media and sports fans being high on the list) take things far too seriously. hence not realising the humour...

therefore, given his position, and the timing, it was a pretty stupid idea, since he should have known that the reaction would be mass hysteria.

it's not worth firing him for; if anything, it is a good thing in the longterm, since hopefully he will learn from it, and it will also somewhat undermine his ability to defend knapp in the offseason, and may even lead to us getting a proper OC.

2drama
12-16-2006, 08:04 PM
ATL Falcons i have fate .
great game so far the "D" and O are playing well

tie ball game

Xonraider
12-16-2006, 08:22 PM
What (3) positions do you guys need and in what order of need? And which players would you prefer?

scar988
12-16-2006, 10:04 PM
What (3) positions do you guys need and in what order of need? And which players would you prefer?
Safety (Free Safeties. guys like Nelson or Griffin)
Defensive End (guys like Moses, Woodley or Spencer)
Offensive Tackle (2nd or 3rd round, guys like Joe Staley, Doug Free, etc...)

2drama
12-16-2006, 10:05 PM

a Number 1 WR too
But i do give props when do
great job ATL WR's crop

scar988
12-16-2006, 11:42 PM

a Number 1 WR too
great job ATL WR's cropit's nto a draft need. it's a trade for Moss or CJ need.

12-17-2006, 12:11 AM

a Number 1 WR too
great job ATL WR's cropit's nto a draft need. it's a trade for Moss or CJ need.why would the bengals trade CJ?

2drama
12-17-2006, 12:17 AM

a Number 1 WR too
great job ATL WR's cropit's nto a draft need. it's a trade for Moss or CJ need.why would the bengals trade CJ?

he is refering to the rookie in the 2007 draft
calvin johnson

d34ng3l021
12-17-2006, 01:15 AM

a Number 1 WR too

he is refering to the rookie in the 2007 draft
calvin johnson

For FA or trades we need number 1 recievers. For draft we need Calvin Johnson. No one else.

Shiver
12-18-2006, 01:15 AM
The receivers have shown flashes as of late, so I don't think it would be wise to give up on them. There are much bigger needs at LT, DE, FS, RB. Also, Ed Hurtwell has been terrible, we need to get John Beck ready if the organization is so high on him.

scar988
12-18-2006, 01:26 AM
The receivers have shown flashes as of late, so I don't think it would be wise to give up on them. There are much bigger needs at LT, DE, FS, RB. Also, Ed Hurtwell has been terrible, we need to get John Beck ready if the organization is so high on him.Hartwell has been great Shiver. You aren't watching the same games I have. when we have been gashed it has been outside. sure he doesn't get a lot of tackles but his role is to plug the middle and force the guys to Brooking and Boley. Also Jordan Beck is his name, not John Beck.

Shiver
12-18-2006, 01:38 AM
Err, yeah, Jordan.

I stand by my feelings towards Hartwell. He is invisible out there. He makes no impact. The only times I notice he exists is when he overruns a gap or misses a tackle. Marion Barber tore it up, right up the gut. When Julius Jones tried to run outside, he was stopped. I haven't noticed him, at all, either in '05 or '06. I don't think he's made a single tackle for loss, at least one I can remember. Either way, he certainly hasn't been worth the pay-check or the patience in waiting for him to be 'healthy.'

scar988
12-18-2006, 02:23 AM
Err, yeah, Jordan.

I stand by my feelings towards Hartwell. He is invisible out there. He makes no impact. The only times I notice he exists is when he overruns a gap or misses a tackle. Marion Barber tore it up, right up the gut. When Julius Jones tried to run outside, he was stopped. I haven't noticed him, at all, either in '05 or '06. I don't think he's made a single tackle for loss, at least one I can remember. Either way, he certainly hasn't been worth the pay-check or the patience in waiting for him to be 'healthy.'you do know he gets paid something like the 27th most of the starting MLB's in the league right? his "big" contract is only costing us 2M in 2005, 2.5 in 2006, 3 in 2007 and then in 2008 it goes up to 5M, 5.5 in 2009, and 7 in 2010. Hartwell's deal is cap friendly for another year and his job is just to plug the middle. he has been doing his job up until Marion Barber came in last game. I think that has more to do with Barber being a beast than Hartwell messing up. Julius Jones woudl start every rushing play up the middle and then try to break it outside. Hartwell, Grady and Coleman were stuffing the middle. the play woudl then go to the right for Davis ro Boley to make the play, or to the left for Brooking and Carrington to make the play. If we would have seen Barber earlier in the game and he wasn't fresh when he came in, he wouldn't have been such a force.

Shiver
12-18-2006, 07:20 PM
Per Len Pasquarelli; even if Mora sticks, Blank will ax one of, or all of, the coordinators. That is excellent news in my opinion.

2drama
12-18-2006, 07:56 PM
Per Len Pasquarelli; even if Mora sticks, Blank will ax one of, or all of, the coordinators. That is excellent news in my opinion.

any report on vick injury !!

scar988
12-18-2006, 08:43 PM
Per Len Pasquarelli; even if Mora sticks, Blank will ax one of, or all of, the coordinators. That is excellent news in my opinion.good. my revised coaching staff from before
Head Coach - Mike Singletary (his portion of the team always seems to overachieve. why not make the whole team do it? sure his defense isn't great in SF right now but he doesn't have that much talent to work with. give him our team and he coudl put together one of the best teams out there.)

OC - Mike Sherman (part of the Holmgren tree. runs the WCO and has great play calling. aggressive unless he has a 3 TD lead, and loves to involve his backs and TE's a lot more than we currently do)
QBC - Bill Musgrave (why mess with a good thing?)
RBC - Ollie Wilson (they run hard, holes have been a problem without Forney. I think once we get Forney back the 4 and 5 yard runs will come with Norwood as his minimum. I also think Dunn is past his prime and if we coudl get someone to come in and be a Portis type that would be great. that or we coudl try Norwood as the Portis type.)
WRC - Terence Mathis & Jerry Rice (these guys are 2 of the best in the past 20 years. They both weren't the best receivers but beat guys with perfect route running, and great hands. I think if these 2 became the co WR-coaches we woudl have receivers that looked like the Colts or at least the worst they woudl look is how they played on Saturday night.)
TEC - Barone (I don't see the problem with him)
OLC - Cable & Dalman (#1 run game and solid pass blocking. we need talent in the draft and if we moved Gandy to LG we could have one helluva pocket for Vick. if we got an extra 1st day pick I woudl say we woudl get a DE, S, OT, and QB (to replace Schaub) in the first day and Doug Free or Joe Staley woudl be great.)

DC - Jon Tenuta (likes to use multiple looks and a Zone Blitz scheme with isolated corners. we woudl have Williams and Hall play a man up press every play, the safeties would basically be cover 2 every play except for when they blitzed and the LB and DL would be the most confusign thing to play against. he woudl use a 4-3 (Kerney, Coleman, Jackson, Abraham, Brooking, Hartwell, Boley) and a 3-4 (Coleman, Jackson, Babineaux, Abraham, Brooking, Hartwell, Boley) and a 4-4 look as well some times. I think he woudl be great to have and he would have our personnel used om the best way possible at all times.
DL - Bill Johnson (his guys work hard and play hard all the time. no problem with keeping him)
LB - Jesse Tuggle (why not? he taught Keith Brooking how to play the game. Hartwell, Boley, Beck, Williams and Reese could learn a bit more from this falcon legend who knows both the 3-4 and 4-3.)
DB - Ronnie Lott (played CB, FS and SS in the NFL as he started to lose speed. he would be a great player for our guys to learn from and would be a great mentor for Jimmy Williams and DeAngelo Hall especially)
ST - Joe D. (his problem is not the scheme but rather injuries that have hurt his talent pool)

Shiver
12-19-2006, 11:19 PM
Good news; Vick and Abraham to start next sunday. We'll need them. Hopefully DeAngelo can get his mojo back, otherwise, were in trouble.

iloxygenil
12-20-2006, 11:24 AM
I really am not worried about Deangelo getting up for his "arch rival" He's going to light him up more than once on Sunday. I am VERY excited to get to watch this game. The thing that pisses me off right now is, 1.) Vick not in the Pro Bowl, 2.) Griffith not in the Pro Bowl 3.) Jackson not in the Pro Bowl 4.) Griffith not in the Pro Bowl and 5.) Griffith not in the Pro Bowl.

He's been the BEST FB in the league for 3 years straight. Blocked for the #1 rushing attack in the league, and is a killer asset out of the backfield...EASILY the best choice at FB. Pisses me off he's not there. What about Brooking? What about Demorrio? What about Milloy? How can a guy lead the league in TFL and not be in the Pro Bowl (Grady)?

I'm thinkin these players are thinkin the same thing and they are going to come out FIRING on all cylinders to get into the playoffs and make some SERIOUS noise. I'd love to go in as the #6 seed in the NFC and just TORCH our way to the big game. You pissed off the Falcons...they WILL respond...poor puddy tats...gunna get smacked down on Sunday.

Margin of Victory...no less than 14...

Vick's stat line:
20/30 (4 drops) 284 yards 3 TDs 1 INT
9 Rushes for 104 yards 1 TD

Dunn's stat line:
18 rushes 84 yards
2 catches 4 yards

Norwood's stat line:
8 rushes 141 yards
2 TDs

Jenkins:
5 catches 101 yards 1 TD

Crumpler:
7 catches 128 1 TD

Roddy:
4 catches 24 yards 1 TD

This is going to be a killer game for the Falcons and Norwood is really going to shine. Might even see him catch his first TD pass...who knows...all I know...is I expect this defense to play HUGE. After getting the 'gift' to the pro bowl, Deangelo Hall will 'step his game up' and put it down on Steve Smith holding him to 3 catches for 45 yards 0 TDs while returning an INT for a TD.

iloxygenil
12-20-2006, 11:26 AM
OH yeah...where did THIS version of Roddy White come from? He showed UNBELIEVABLE focus and poise out there made me think that there is hope for the kid yet. With ability like that he could be a #1 in this league no questions asked. Was running away from his man, and was able to get the needed separation. Not to mention making incredible grabs. Loved seeing that, maybe Vick shouldn't be as accurate...when throwing to Roddy...make him work for it...otherwise he gets bored.

scar988
12-20-2006, 11:46 AM
OH yeah...where did THIS version of Roddy White come from? He showed UNBELIEVABLE focus and poise out there made me think that there is hope for the kid yet. With ability like that he could be a #1 in this league no questions asked. Was running away from his man, and was able to get the needed separation. Not to mention making incredible grabs. Loved seeing that, maybe Vick shouldn't be as accurate...when throwing to Roddy...make him work for it...otherwise he gets bored.I think someone smacked him around at practice (see Crumpler, Milloy) and they have been making sure he concentrates. I hope Roddy continues his play from Dallas for however long he is in Atlanta. He could be like our Randy Moss (back when Moss was in Minny with 'pepper). I still think we need to get rid of Stewart for Mathis though. I think Jenkins will be our possession guy for a logn time. he is a 4 catch 65 yards .5 TD a game kinda guy in the future. Roddy is more of a 3 catch 75 yards .33 TD a game kind of guy in the future. Bring back Finneran to be our 3rd down guy with Jenkins and Crump and bring in another guy like Dallas Baker for our #4 receiver. He has good size and speed and would be a good pick for us in the 4th round.

Shiver
12-20-2006, 12:50 PM
OH yeah...where did THIS version of Roddy White come from? He showed UNBELIEVABLE focus and poise out there made me think that there is hope for the kid yet. With ability like that he could be a #1 in this league no questions asked. Was running away from his man, and was able to get the needed separation. Not to mention making incredible grabs. Loved seeing that, maybe Vick shouldn't be as accurate...when throwing to Roddy...make him work for it...otherwise he gets bored.

That's why I took of my avy. If Jenkins and White keep up the good play the rest of the season, WR won't be that big of a need.

scar988
12-20-2006, 01:00 PM
if any Falcons fans want sigs or avys just PM me and I'll hook you up with anything.

Shiver
12-20-2006, 01:42 PM

That's why I took of my avy. If Jenkins and White keep up the good play the rest of the season, WR won't be that big of a need.

To elaborate; which is good because we have other needs as well.

What is Jimmy Williams' position? His future will decide whether FS or CB is a need area. Personally, the way he is used now, is very safety-like as the corner in two tight end sets. Either way, his development must not be doing so well at corner, because Allen Rossum is starting over him.

We need to overhaul the left side of the line. Wayne Gandy was a stop-gap, he will not be a good option next year. He would be okay as depth at LT. Is Frank Omiyale finally ready to step up? Or is he just a project that never developed? As for Left Guard; I think Quinn Ojinnaka would be excellent there. It's already been hinted at that his future position will be guard.

I believe a RB is a drastic need. Warrick Dunn has really aged, expectedly. Since the mid-point of last year, he has seemed to have lost a lot of burst and speed. He has flat-out failed as the goal-line back. After week two of this year, his production took a nose-dive. As for Jerious Norwood, I love what he brings as a change of pace back, but it's pretty clear he doesn't have the making of a feature back. He is too skinny, and has been nicked in the limited role he has had. We need a mid-sized back who can get the tough yards, consistently getting positive yardage, then off-set his methodical power with Norwood's speed and burst as a killer 1-2 punch.

Defensive End is another position. Whether we decide to re-sign Kerney will play a big role. If we don't; drafting someone like Lamarr Woodley in round 2 would be perfect, having a rotation of Abraham, Davis, Woodley and Carrington.

Wide Receiver could be an issue, but at the rate of development White and Jenkins have shown since their "rough" time, it isn't a glaring one. Although if we don't resign Lelie, it definitely will be something to address. Ideally in that circumstance, I would prefer a veteran to play 3rd, while showing the 'kids' how to be professional.

scar988
12-20-2006, 04:54 PM
# What is Jimmy Williams' position? His future will decide whether FS or CB is a need area. Personally, the way he is used now, is very safety-like as the corner in two tight end sets. Either way, his development must not be doing so well at corner, because Allen Rossum is starting over him.
he has been injured a good part of the year and hasn't been able to get the experience to develop. that has a lot to do with it. He will stay a corner no matter who the next coach is because his problem is zone coverage and whoever we bring in will run more man with 2 deep safeties coverage.
# We need to overhaul the left side of the line. Wayne Gandy was a stop-gap, he will not be a good option next year. He would be okay as depth at LT. Is Frank Omiyale finally ready to step up? Or is he just a project that never developed? As for Left Guard; I think Quinn Ojinnaka would be excellent there. It's already been hinted at that his future position will be guard. IMO cut Gandy. draft a guy in the 5th named Herb Taylor to take over if Omiyale can't. if Omiyale can have Taylor for a good backup to both sides. Have Ojinnaka at LG next year and draft a guy like Doug Datish who can start at any of the 5 line spots if anyone goes down and will eventually start at LG or C.
I believe a RB is a drastic need. Warrick Dunn has really aged, expectedly. Since the mid-point of last year, he has seemed to have lost a lot of burst and speed. He has flat-out failed as the goal-line back. After week two of this year, his production took a nose-dive. As for Jerious Norwood, I love what he brings as a change of pace back, but it's pretty clear he doesn't have the making of a feature back. He is too skinny, and has been nicked in the limited role he has had. We need a mid-sized back who can get the tough yards, consistently getting positive yardage, then off-set his methodical power with Norwood's speed and burst as a killer 1-2 punch. I agree but it's not as drastic as you think. IMO, we should use a 4th on Tyrone Moss from Miami. he is a mid sized back who currently plays in a ZBS and would be a good power back for us. he woudl be a goal line guy and would be the main ball carrier.
Defensive End is another position. Whether we decide to re-sign Kerney will play a big role. If we don't; drafting someone like Lamarr Woodley in round 2 would be perfect, having a rotation of Abraham, Davis, Woodley and Carrington.
I agree. imagine one of Abraham, Davis, Kerney, and Woodley!
Wide Receiver could be an issue, but at the rate of development White and Jenkins have shown since their "rough" time, it isn't a glaring one. Although if we don't resign Lelie, it definitely will be something to address. Ideally in that circumstance, I would prefer a veteran to play 3rd, while showing the 'kids' how to be professional.
well we are getting Finneran back from injury. I think we should also get Dallas Baker with another one of the 4ths. if I had to make a mock of what I think woudl work right now I woudl go with:
1) S Reggie Nelson
2) DE LaMarr Woodley
3) OL Doug Datish
4a) WR Dallas Baker
4b) RB Tyrone Moss
5) OT Herb Taylor

DraftMichaelHuff
12-21-2006, 12:01 AM
hey guys, havent been on in a while due to lost internet which makes the nfl hard to follow in Australia, anyway i never belived WR to be a need for us as no matter who we could realistically acquire, no one will have the potential (with a better WR coach ) of the 3 we have now anyway heres my dream and somewhat alternate draft.

Trade QB Matt Shaub to the Lions for the 1st pick in the 2nd round. They then draft Joe Tomas with the 1st Pick

1) FS Michael Griffin - Ed Reed type player with hitting AND coverage ability coverage... strange that word isnt it??

2a) DE Quintin Moses - this years Kiwanuka, except this time a 3/4 team wins the superbowl pushin him 1 spot further

2b) OT Joe Staley - Bye to Gandy and fits perfectly

3) SS/OLB/ILB Aaron Rouse- Gives the NEW defensive Co-ordinator depth, at LB/SS and with Demorrio maybe leaving, Hartwells play continually poor and Milloys age he is not a bad choice. he may also compete with Crocker for SS in the future

4a) OG C Samson Satele

4b)TE Scott Chandler - I like our WRs and i would like another go to guy and and eventually maybe replace alge, i think he will fall like Leanord Pope hes also 6"6

5)HB Tyrone Moss - Plays ZBS (as noted above) and its extremly hard to tackle, think maurice drew + 20lbs

6) CB Marquice Cole - a cover guy who is a big sleeper with great speed

scar988
12-21-2006, 12:26 AM
Hartwell's play has been fine. he is a plugging type his job isn;t to rack up the takcles but more to force the play outside for Brooking and Boley to do so.

Xonraider
12-21-2006, 01:46 AM

a Number 1 WR too

1. Thanks.
2. There is a good chance of trading up with the Bucs to acquire CJ, but I don't see you guys doing it.

What would you be able to give for Moss? Oakland is always going to be looking for a 1st round pick and an Offensive Linemen. I'd also love to acquire Schaub for Moss.

Shiver
12-21-2006, 01:52 AM
Mike Hart has been awesome in a ZBS, he'll fall because of his lack of top end speed or size. He'd be great to create a three headed monster of Dunn, Norwood and Hart.

scar988
12-21-2006, 02:14 AM

a Number 1 WR too

1. Thanks.
2. There is a good chance of trading up with the Bucs to acquire CJ, but I don't see you guys doing it.

What would you be able to give for Moss? Oakland is always going to be looking for a 1st round pick and an Offensive Linemen. I'd also love to acquire Schaub for Moss.Schaub for Moss is the consensus most fair trade. IMO Moss would allow Jenkins to be the top of the line #2 he is and Moss would allow Vick to have 4 receivers slotted in the right spots (1 = Moss, 2 = Jenkins, 3 = White, 4 = Finneran)

Shiver
12-21-2006, 02:15 AM
The only way I would feel comfortable with Moss is if his contract was somehow reworked to be incentives based, so he couldn't quit on the team like he did on the Raiders.

scar988
12-21-2006, 02:19 AM
The only way I would feel comfortable with Moss is if his contract was somehow reworked to be incentives based, so he couldn't quit on the team like he did on the Raiders.MOss has been quoted saying he would give it his all if he had Vick as his QB. he also doesn't try his hardest because Oakland's QB's suck.

iloxygenil
12-21-2006, 09:27 PM
I'm all for Moss in Atlanta.

But...at the same time...I think I'd rather get something better for Schaub and send our first round pick that way for Randy. Then again...doesn't really matter to me how we get him as long as we have a WR who can catch everything thrown his way.

This is something that we have to deal with soon though...we don't need that many questions.

As far as the draft goes...I really wouldn't mind using a 2nd rounder to pick up Michael Bush. I know he's huge...but he's got great skills...and if we can't get TJ back I want him as a short yardage back...he gets great push and has immense talent. If Norwood went down with an injury he could step in and handle the carries no problem. Dunn as far as I'm concerned needs to be a secondary back now. Phase him out like they did Marshall Faulk in St. Louis. Don't just cut him, because he's still effective...but he needs FAR less carries...and needs to be used in long yardage 3rd down situations. With Norwood and Bush our backfield would be set for years to come and would give us our short yardage back...I know a 2nd round pick is a bit high, but this guy was a top 10 pick before his injury...no reason to question his ability now just because of a strange injury.

Then, what do you guys think about the guy Scott put on the front page...could he fill in at DT and eventually take over for the Grady train? I mean, he's not going to last forever...he's big lumbering and strong...already has 315 pounds and looks pretty athletic for his size...meaning we could pack on a few more pounds. He's not going to rush the passer...but we don't need that...we have PLENTY of that.

iloxygenil
12-21-2006, 10:53 PM
Just got this from the Falcons boards....antdadon just posted it I thought it was rather amazing.

Falcons should target Tech’s Johnson
By Terence Moore | Thursday, December 21, 2006, 08:24 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Pro Bowl selection process flawed
Hawks reflect Knight's failures
Sooner rather than later for Mora's exit
Braves execs turn into Ebenezer Scrooge
Iverson's not the answer here
It isn’t too early for those among the enlightened in Flowery Branch to begin strategizing on how to do exactly what they must do. That is, when Calvin Johnson declares either now or later that he is ready to transfer his greatness from Georgia Tech to the NFL, the Falcons must do whatever it takes to make sure his football career never leaves Atlanta.

Never.

Never, never, never.

This easygoing kid from Tyrone is a keeper. In other words, the Falcons must pull another Michael Vick. Just as they worked with the San Diego Chargers to acquire that No. 1 pick to select an incomparable quarterback in the draft, the Falcons must finagle a way with the Oakland Raiders, the Detroit Lions or whoever finishes as the league’s worst team during this season or next to get an incomparable wide receiver.

The Falcons must do as much for so many reasons. For starters, they don’t have an incomparable wide receiver.

Should Johnson enter the upcoming draft after his junior season (he said he’ll decide after Tech plays in the Gator Bowl), the Falcons could get that incomparable wide receiver by offering, say, their No. 1 and 2 picks, along with The Great Matt Schaub, to quarterback-impaired Oakland or Detroit. In return, the Falcons would get Johnson’s striking physical gifts (4.4 speed, sure hands, impressive strength, 45-inch vertical jump) and splendid work ethic.

Not only that, given Johnson’s wonderful personality that has remained consistent from his all-everything days in high school through his earning the Fred Biletnikoff Award this season as the nation’s best wide receiver, he is somebody that you’d love to adopt as your son.

Finally, there is this: If Johnson is drafted by the Falcons someday, he wouldn’t exactly cringe. “I’d be ecstatic. You know?” he said, flashing his infectious grin the other day at Tech’s football complex. “It would be overwhelming, just realizing that I could stay here. It would be great to play in your hometown and to have your friends and relatives see you play. I’m sure every player dreams about that, and it’s something that I dream about.”

Get him. Otherwise, the Falcon Nation will have nightmares for letting the ultimate hometown guy get away.

Consider that Johnson wasn’t even interested in football until after his 13th birthday. In fact, if it weren’t for something that happened in 1998 with the Falcons, he might have put all of his considerable energy into Sandy Creek High’s chess club or something. What happened back then were the Dirty Birds. “I just remember everybody trying to do that dance with Jamal Anderson, and that’s when I first thought about getting involved [with football],” Johnson said. “The only thing I remember about the season was that the Falcons went to the Super Bowl and lost to the Denver Broncos.”

That’s in contrast to now, when Johnson remembers everything about a Falcons team that he studies religiously on television. He even fantasizes about catching passes from you know who. “Yeah, it crosses my mind about how it would be to play with Michael Vick. I’m thinking about that while I’m watching the defensive backs and seeing what they’re doing. Hey, [Vick] has a strong arm. He can put it anywhere.”

Johnson has proven that he can catch a pass from everywhere after spending three years with the erratic Reggie Ball. As a result, the Falcons would have a potent duo with Vick and Johnson. “Yeah. I think so,” said Johnson, with that grin again.

At worst, Johnson would become the Falcons’ offensive version of Keith Brooking, the prolific linebacker from Senoia, who played at Tech and has become one of the city’s most civic-minded athletes after spending all nine of his NFL years with the Falcons. At best, Johnson’s future with the Falcons would be bright enough to blind the sun.

scar988
12-21-2006, 10:56 PM
Michael Bush has the same problem TJ did in that he is a big back who runs soft and doesn't really fit our scheme.
about Okoye, I like him. but it would take a first to get him and we don't need a DT for the next year at least. Also at RB there are better guys for our scheme with better power than Bush that will be available later. for instance, Tyrone Moss.

iloxygenil
12-21-2006, 11:02 PM
I like Tyrone Moss...but I never thought Bush ran soft by any stretch...and when holes were opened up TJ ran hard...he also ran VERY hard where it counted...the red zone...no one in the NFL better than TJ in short yardage and redzone...NOONE. He ran with incredible power...and I'd bring him back to ATL in a heartbeat to be our goalline/short yardage guy...people forget he had 4tds in a single game rushing? What about the fact that he's a 250+ pound back who can still run a 4.5? he packs a serious punch. But you're right Bush may come at too high a price.

Also read that Jimmy is to start...that's FANTASTIC news.

Williams to start at right cornerback

By STEVE WYCHE

Published on: 12/21/06

Flowery Branch — Rookie cornerback Jimmy Williams will supplant Allen Rossum as the starting right cornerback for Sunday's home finale against the Carolina Panthers.

RELATED STORIES
McCrary a little extra 'ummph'
Williams to start at right cornerback
'Prime Time' brokers peace deal between Hall, T.O.
• More Falcons

Williams has started three games but in special packages to combat specific offensive formations.

This is the first time Williams will start in the Falcons' base defensive set. He also will remain on the field in nickel and two-tight end packages.

"It's time," coach Jim Mora said. "We have confidence in him. He's done a good job and we'll help out. We're not going to leave him out there on an island too often."

Rossum, who has started two of the past four games and has taken most of the snaps at right cornerback the past month, will be used as the nickel back and focus more on kickoff and punt returns.

iloxygenil
12-21-2006, 11:04 PM
Scott has Okoye as a first day pick...would you say he's worth a 3rd round pick? I know a first is way too high, because well, we don't NEED a NT...friggin amazing that Grady leads everyone in the NFL in TFL and he holds up the line great. TJ Jackson is looking like a stud, as well as Shropshire. I'm not too concerned with DT...but this guys size has peaked my interest...I don't know much else about him.

scar988
12-21-2006, 11:33 PM
trust me Okoye will be long gone by our 3rd rounder. Also, Bush runs soft like TJ did in late 2005. it sucks but it;s what it is. I want a guy who plays hard like Norwood and Dunn but is the size of Griffith.

iloxygenil
12-22-2006, 12:15 AM
trust me Okoye will be long gone by our 3rd rounder. Also, Bush runs soft like TJ did in late 2005. it sucks but it;s what it is. I want a guy who plays hard like Norwood and Dunn but is the size of Griffith.
I feel you. I want a guy who can get it across the line...TJ proved he could do that...I was thinking the same for bush, I want a guy like Brandon Jacobs...he's only used for 1 thing...doesn't need to do anything else.

scar988
12-22-2006, 01:42 AM
I feel you. I want a guy who can get it across the line...TJ proved he could do that...I was thinking the same for bush, I want a guy like Brandon Jacobs...he's only used for 1 thing...doesn't need to do anything else.or what we could is just put Griffith back there like he needs to be on goalline plays.

iloxygenil
12-22-2006, 11:46 AM
Our coaching staff is too stupid for that. Plus I'm not sure Justin would run over anyone, he's not a bruising fullback.

Shiver
12-22-2006, 12:32 PM
Why Justin Griffith hasn't been the goal-line back since the start of the season was and has been the worst decision this coaching staff has made. Warrick Dunn being used that way was a joke this August, and has been a joke on the field.

Jughead10
12-22-2006, 12:34 PM
Dear Falcons fans,

Could you guys do me a favor and lose this weekend.

Love always,

Jughead.

iloxygenil
12-22-2006, 12:46 PM
can't say we'll do that for ya Jug...we're lookin for the playoffs here in ATL

Jughead10
12-22-2006, 12:47 PM
can't say we'll do that for ya Jug...we're lookin for the playoffs here in ATL

But come on, we already beat you. Now it wouldn't be very fair for you guys to sneak in because of some three way tie breaking weird scenrio now would it.

Shiver
12-22-2006, 01:15 PM
This game is the one year anniversary of the "Cellphonegate" I am sure Jim Mora will find a way to lose for ya.

iloxygenil
12-22-2006, 01:18 PM
Of course it would...your QB sucks! lol

Maybe the NFL should let us combine talents instead of leaving 1 team home =)

iloxygenil
12-22-2006, 01:35 PM
What do you guys think about giving up Schaub + our first + our 2nd for the #1 overall if Calvin declares? I want him in Atlanta pretty bad...a guy who has already made it clear he'd like to play in Atlanta, and is that elite...could we make the move? Should we make the move?

Shiver
12-22-2006, 01:53 PM
If the Texans trade David Carr after the season, they will be in the market for another quarterback. Matt Schaub will be a restricted free agent. If the Falcons tender him a contract offer at a certain level, it will require a first-round pick to sign him. It's doubtful the Texans would surrender a high No. 1 pick for Schaub.
-- Houston Chronicle

I was thinking, maybe our mid-first pick plus Schaub for the Texans top-5/8 pick. That move works perfectly for the value chart, assuming Schaub is worth a first rounder as McKay believes he is. I doubt some of the elite talents would still remain, like Calvin Johnson, but we could definitely solidify some need areas with an impact player.

iloxygenil
12-22-2006, 01:57 PM
I wouldn't mind that Shiver...I would want it to be as high as possible of a pick though. Because then I would want to trade down. If we got the #5 I'd trade down to about #8 and pickup an additional 2nd round choice. Then with that #8 spot pickup Jarrett. I know we don't want to go WR in round 1 again...but he's sick...and I know Mike Williams...but I mean...gah...Jarrett is just plain nasty. Then again...Teddy Ginn...I know his routes aren't great...but to have 3 of the fastest players in the NFL on 1 offense, that just would be NASTY. Vick + Norwood + Ginn I mean wow...that's great team speed right there...but I dunno if I'd use a first round choice on Ginn...I like Jarrett's style better.

Then again...a guy like David Ball would be AMAZING...not the best measureables...but the guy can flat out catch the football and knows how to get to the endzone. When you break Rice's records you're doing something right. He might be worth a 2nd round pick to me, using our first round pick on Reggie Nelson.

iloxygenil
12-22-2006, 02:00 PM
I still like a guy like Johnnie Lee Higgins as well...he's a guy I put in my mock a long time ago as a player to watch...I like the way he plays football. What do you guys think about a guy like him with a 2nd rounder? Reminds me of Greg Jennings...

Shiver
12-22-2006, 02:02 PM
I'd prefer to build with the lines with that pick, a top-10 lineman has all-world potential. Maybe Joe Thomas at LT, Gaines Adams at LE. If our Wide Receivers don't screw up for the rest of the season, I would say that it wouldn't be a need for us. They are only going to get better for here on out.

iloxygenil
12-22-2006, 03:03 PM
No doubt it'd be amazing to get Joe Thomas...but I really like Joe Staley better...he's more the size we're looking for I think. Jake Long would be a great player to pickup as well. I don't care if they "fit" the scheme or not, I want someone who can hold up against a pass rush and give Vick time, much like Wayne Gandy. He's solid against the pass, but doesn't fit our scheme, I'm cool with that, and I'd LOVE it if we could get a beast of a tackle to protect Mike.

But it'd be nearly impossible to pass on Jarrett or Johnson.

scar988
12-22-2006, 03:05 PM
Our coaching staff is too stupid for that. Plus I'm not sure Justin would run over anyone, he's not a bruising fullback.Griffith is a bruising runner when you see him run.

What do you guys think about giving up Schaub + our first + our 2nd for the #1 overall if Calvin declares? I want him in Atlanta pretty bad...a guy who has already made it clear he'd like to play in Atlanta, and is that elite...could we make the move? Should we make the move?
**** yes
I'd prefer to build with the lines with that pick, a top-10 lineman has all-world potential. Maybe Joe Thomas at LT, Gaines Adams at LE. If our Wide Receivers don't screw up for the rest of the season, I would say that it wouldn't be a need for us. They are only going to get better for here on out.
well you never know.

Shiver
12-22-2006, 03:21 PM
We won't have a shot at Calvin, unless we get the top pick, or the second pick. So I wouldn't get your hopes up.

iloxygenil
12-22-2006, 08:14 PM
Calvin would just make me ecstatic...what position did we have when we traded up for Vick? #5 overall right? Well...I'm thinkin #20 + Schaub > #5 + Tim Dwight...so I think it's definitely doable...especially for those teams who are hurting big time in the QB department, Oakland (who I doubt is interested simply because I think they want a Jamarcus Russell type player) but Detroit would DIE to get a guy like Schaub, so that'd give us #1 or #2 overall...but I don't think Calvin slips past #1 overall pick, he's hands down the best player...but if we can get Oakland @ #2 I think Detroit at #1 would take Brady Quinn, or Joe Thomas...they have talent at wideout, Roy is a baller, and WR isn't a need in Detroit. So that'd be the only way he slips to #2 overall.

iloxygenil
12-22-2006, 11:39 PM
I can't wait for this mock offseason...I wish it could start already lol. I am amped about getting to learn about all these new draft picks...I have a few favorites..but bowl season is the BEST =) Plus the combine, and all the stupid shows they put on ESPN...I love it...can't wait =)

iloxygenil
12-23-2006, 11:52 AM
Okay...I'm antsy for tomorrow...I have a great feeling about this game, can't wait to see what happens...

Shiver
12-23-2006, 02:47 PM
When was the last time Chris Weinke won anything? If he does win tommorow, we will never hear the end of it, and Mora will be a goner.

iloxygenil
12-23-2006, 10:29 PM
Oh I'm not talking about a win...I'm talkin about us getting a swagger leading to a win next week and making some serious noise now that we are 100% healthy in the playoffs. I know we're still missing PK, but to be honest, Chauncey has made me forget all about him...not to mention Mallard and Carrington playing great football as well. The more I think about it, the more we need to let PK pack his bags and go somewhere else for a lucrative deal.

What do you guys think about Eric Weddle? I had my eye on him VERY early on in the season thinking maybe he'd have been worth a pick in the mid - late 20s (hoping we were going to be picking down there) Where do you guys see his draft stock? He's got incomparable ball skills and looks to have amazing character as well. The problem is...where does he fit? Is he fast enough to be a corner? Do we need a corner? Do we like his coverage skills enough as a Safety (obviously they are VERY good) to overlook the obvious lack of massive big hits? I mean the guy was playing runningback and looked GREAT doing it tonight. Didn't get to see much of him, but I'm definitely a fan.

What would you guys think of a draft with something like this:

1.) Jarrett
1b.) Woodley
2.) Weddle
3.) (Top offensive linemen)

scar988
12-23-2006, 10:30 PM
um no Jarrett for me. no calvin, no WR till the 2nd day IMO.

iloxygenil
12-23-2006, 10:34 PM
okay...fair enough...I just love his size and route running...not to mention he makes some seriously nasty snags and shows great concentration

iloxygenil
12-23-2006, 10:35 PM
I just want to see us pull down a good WR sometime...how bout his teammate Steve Smith? He looks like a solid 3rd - 4th round kinda guy...

12-23-2006, 10:40 PM
I honestly think you guys need to go big or go home. Smith will never be more than a #2 WR in the league, which is not what you need. If you don't take Jarrett or CJ, then I wouldn't go WR unless it's a high risk-high reward kind of guy.

iloxygenil
12-24-2006, 12:57 AM
Yeah, I really like CJ, but I like Jarrett as well...and I'm not asking Steve to be a #1, he's got good skills though, and would be a solid day 2 pick...

scar988
12-24-2006, 02:35 AM
Yeah, I really like CJ, but I like Jarrett as well...and I'm not asking Steve to be a #1, he's got good skills though, and would be a solid day 2 pick...see I don't like Jarrett. I think he is just another Jenkins or Finneran.

Shiver
12-24-2006, 05:59 PM
Ding Dong the Witch is dead...

(Jim Mora)

Started 6-2 in '05, finished 8-8
Starter 5-2 in '06, now 7-8

No coach could survive two consecutive collapses.

iloxygenil
12-24-2006, 06:26 PM
This sucks. However, Jimmy Williams is going to be elite at CORNER. I'm sick of this talk to moving him to Safety. He looked fantastic out there today and every time he has seen the field. An amazing tackler and stuck his man like it was goin out of style. I can't wait to see what happens over the course of his development, especially if we get a coordinator that will allow our corners to play man press with a cover 2 and then implement some nice blitz packages. We have the talent to do it, we just need a coordinator to allow them to do it.

We don't need to re-sign PK and we DO need to re-sign Demorrio Williams.

12-24-2006, 06:32 PM
This sucks. However, Jimmy Williams is going to be elite at CORNER. I'm sick of this talk to moving him to Safety. He looked fantastic out there today and every time he has seen the field. An amazing tackler and stuck his man like it was goin out of style. I can't wait to see what happens over the course of his development, especially if we get a coordinator that will allow our corners to play man press with a cover 2 and then implement some nice blitz packages. We have the talent to do it, we just need a coordinator to allow them to do it.

We don't need to re-sign PK and we DO need to re-sign Demorrio Williams.he needs to learn that just because you make a tackle doesnt mean you can talk sh**. Whenever i see him make a tackle he jumps around and talks smack to the other team.

iloxygenil
12-24-2006, 06:48 PM
and if he was making the kinda tackles he was makin today for your team you'd LOVE that attitude. Fact of the matter is he's good, and when he's making great open field tackles he can talk all he wants he IS that good.

12-24-2006, 07:29 PM
and if he was making the kinda tackles he was makin today for your team you'd LOVE that attitude. Fact of the matter is he's good, and when he's making great open field tackles he can talk all he wants he IS that good.already overhyping another falcons player, great.

iloxygenil
12-24-2006, 11:22 PM
How is that over hyping him? The guy showed out today...did you watch the game? If you did, and you watched it objectively you saw that he played a fantastic game, looked like he'd been in the league for years, there was no hesitation and he wrapped up solid for tackles. He plays with great confidence, and when he picked up Williams and slammed him down...that was a great play.

iloxygenil
12-24-2006, 11:41 PM
if we lose to the Iggles...will we have a top 10 selection? Jeez...

And if we do...which talent do we take? I want the friggin draft to get here sooner...it's driving me mad. I want it to be sooner...especially now that our season is essentially over.

scar988
12-24-2006, 11:44 PM
if we lose to the Iggles...will we have a top 10 selection? Jeez...well look at the bright side. we coudl trade up for Calvin.

iloxygenil
12-24-2006, 11:49 PM
if we lose to the Iggles...will we have a top 10 selection? Jeez...well look at the bright side. we coudl trade up for Calvin.
I'd LOVE to trade up for Calvin. Wonder what our BEST case scenario is if we lose to the Eagles...what's the highest we could pick? Then if we can get a #12-18 selection for Schaub, the trade up would easy...

Also though, if we have picks #8 and 12 could we get Reggie and then trade down a little bit...pick up Moses...and an additional 3rd rounder? I mean wow...a new coach coming in here is going to have a BALL with all the opportunities he will have.

scar988
12-24-2006, 11:56 PM
I'd LOVE to trade up for Calvin. Wonder what our BEST case scenario is if we lose to the Eagles...what's the highest we could pick? Then if we can get a #12-18 selection for Schaub, the trade up would easy...

Also though, if we have picks #8 and 12 could we get Reggie and then trade down a little bit...pick up Moses...and an additional 3rd rounder? I mean wow...a new coach coming in here is going to have a BALL with all the opportunities he will have.dude, I want Jon Tenuta to come with his press man CB + zone blitz D. it would be perfect for our personel. get Moses in the late 1st and the extra 3rd and the comp 3rd for Shaffar, that woudl be a killer draft to start with and would give us the picks to trade up for Calvin and still get all the guys we wanted.:
1 (8th) -
1 (18th) -
2 (8th) -
3 (8th) -
3 (18th) -
3 (33rd) -
4 (8th) -
4 (Denver) -
5 (8th) -
6 (8th) -

Shiver
12-25-2006, 01:06 AM
The higher our pick, the more valuable, thus with a little packaging [#8], we could get someone really good. Right now, we could easily finish with top pick. We have a shot to really add an impact player. Add that to improved production from our talent, with a competent coaching staff, and this suffering will be worth it in the long run.

Shiver
12-25-2006, 01:19 AM
As for coaches, I think Blank will go a different route than he did previously. I think he will go get someone who has been a Head Coach before, and someone who will esemble a top notch staff. I doubt he'll go for another up and comer with no previous experience.

iloxygenil
12-25-2006, 01:21 AM
Lets say we don't make a move for the C man...lets see what kinda draft we could brainstorm amongst the Atlanta faithful. (By the way, I think with the few loyal of us this year we could have the best mock draft of any of these other teams!)

I'll start with a list of players I like...then you add to and take away from.

1 (8th) - Nelson (but is he worth #8) Gaines Adams (eventhough he'll go before this) This pick is troublesome for me...because I want a DE, but the only one worth it is Adams...I want a Safety...I'm not sure Nelson would go this high...and other than that...we don't have a 'need' position that merit's the #8 overall selection in the draft...
1 (18th) - Marshawn Lynch (I know RB isn't a need, but if he's there at 18, he's worth a look) Michael Griffin, Nelson (I don't think he'd fall to 18), Moses, Abiamiri, Lawrence Jackson, Paul Posluzny(not a name you're likely to see in Atlanta...but hey...if he's there at 18 worth concideration...Sam Baker (eventhough we don't take linemen in round 1 or even first day)
2 (8th) - Eric Weddle, Dwayne Bowe, Joe Staley, Adam Carriker, Lamarr Woodley, Buster Davis, Patrick Willis
3 (8th) - Brandon Merriweather (his character may be an issue) Mason Crosby (high for a Kicker? maybe not one who's $$$ from 70) Ryan Harris,
3 (18th) - Aaron Rouse, Ryan Kalil, Steve Smith, Zach Miller
3 (33rd) - Gary Russell, Kolby Smith, Brian Leonard,
4 (8th) - Brandon Frye, Paul Williams, Michael Johnson,
4 (Denver) - Chris Davis, Tyrone Moss, DeShawn Wynn,
5 (8th) - RODERICK ROGERS***(could be a mover and shaker after the combine, but this is a guy I targeted week 1 of this season, I love the speed he plays the game with and his ability to stay around the ball, he's my 2nd favorite Safety...with Weddle battling him at #2 as well.)
6 (8th) - Herbert Taylor, Josh Gattis

iloxygenil
12-25-2006, 01:24 AM
As for coaches, I think Blank will go a different route than he did previously. I think he will go get someone who has been a Head Coach before, and someone who will esemble a top notch staff. I doubt he'll go for another up and comer with no previous experience.
I have to agree there. Maybe take a 'flyer' on a coordinator, but not on a HC...we need someone there to establish themselves as a Parcells type...To be perfectly honest...Jimmy Johnson would be amazing. But I also like what Jerry Glanville is doing out in Hawaii with his DC position...might be a guy to look at for DC in Atlanta (not HC)

I have NO clue who is going to be available because coaching is so much different, but I hope whoever does come in, isn't overly impressed by PK's work ethic. I know he's a beast...but man he's going to want top flight money and he's just going to keep declining.

Shiver
12-25-2006, 01:26 AM
The thing about Safety, it's a need, but I would rather wait on that position. You can get really good players later. Although I love all three of the top ones. It's a little early to hypothesize though. :lol: That's a good two to three months from me seriously knowing what's going on. I wait until the Senior Bowl before I get into it.

scar988
12-25-2006, 01:35 AM
As for coaches, I think Blank will go a different route than he did previously. I think he will go get someone who has been a Head Coach before, and someone who will esemble a top notch staff. I doubt he'll go for another up and comer with no previous experience.true but I think the new coach will keep these guys:
QB coach - Bill Musgrave (doing a great job with Vick knows lefty and righty coaching and a whole lotta offenses in the NFL)
OL coach - Cable/Gibbs/Dalman (why mess with what is working. the problem right now is that Dunn needs to retire.)
DL Coach - Bill Johnson (his guys always work hard and our defensive lineman have combined for 24.5 sacks and work hard against the run. he needs another DE to help him out though.) & assistant Joe Lombardi
ST coach - Joe DeCamillis (only coordinator on the staff with any creativity and aggression to his schemes) Steve Hoffman (kicking guru can stay for a bit as well. knows his **** and with joe D does a good job)

the rest can leavee and get the **** out

iloxygenil
12-25-2006, 01:36 AM
I like to try to follow extensively through bowl season. There was a guy in the Hawaii game tonight who looks like he could be a nice URFA pickup at the end. Although they say he runs sub 4.4 at the Safety position has just had to deal with a ton of injuries to this point. I'm not sure even what his name is...but hey...if he makes enough noise at the combine he'll get some looks.

I am looking for Rodrick Rogers seriously...I think he's my top choice for a late round Safety. He's just a guy who is always around the ball and I know it's big 10, but he plays the game so fast. I think he'd be nice to see floating around back there. We still need a hammer though...something this defense is really lacking. I watched Lynch, and man, he just is a monster when he hits WRs.

Shiver
12-25-2006, 01:44 AM
As for coaches, I think Blank will go a different route than he did previously. I think he will go get someone who has been a Head Coach before, and someone who will esemble a top notch staff. I doubt he'll go for another up and comer with no previous experience.true but I think the new coach will keep these guys:
QB coach - Bill Musgrave (doing a great job with Vick knows lefty and righty coaching and a whole lotta offenses in the NFL)
OL coach - Cable/Gibbs/Dalman (why mess with what is working. the problem right now is that Dunn needs to retire.)
DL Coach - Bill Johnson (his guys always work hard and our defensive lineman have combined for 24.5 sacks and work hard against the run. he needs another DE to help him out though.) & assistant Joe Lombardi
ST coach - Joe DeCamillis (only coordinator on the staff with any creativity and aggression to his schemes) Steve Hoffman (kicking guru can stay for a bit as well. knows his *********** and with joe D does a good job)

the rest can leavee and get the *********** out

I agree, although I heard this is Gibbs' last year before retirement, last year at NFL Network @ the Super Bowl. Cable could stick, unless the HC/OC want to impose their own philosophies, who knows. I don't care, we just need to stay healthy at guard, and get a new LT.

I do agree that Dunn is, pun not intended, done as a player. I knew having a 31-year old running back, trusting him to be productive, was a mistake.

2drama
12-25-2006, 01:56 AM

Dan Reeves

scar988
12-25-2006, 02:06 AM
my mock:

1 (8th) - S Reggie Nelson (Florida) - think about it. Crocker woudl be a great SS in coverage and hitting is good for it too. imagine a backfield of Hall, Williams, Crocker/Milloy and Nelson
1 (18th) - DE Quentin Moses (Georgia) - Moses + Abraham + Coleman + Jackson + our LB corps + Babineaux = lots of multiple looks and a good overall front 7
2 (8th) - OT Joe Staley (Central Michigan) - great fit for any scheme at LT
3 (8th) - QB Chris Leak (Florida) - good backup to Vick
3 (18th) - RB Gary Russell (Minnesota) - would be our MBIII or Maroney but would actually start with Norwood as the spell back
3 (33rd) - TE Clark Harris (Rutgers) - we need a good all around TE backup and this guy is it
4 (8th) - OG Mansfield Wrotto (Georgia Tech) - won't start right away but would provide good depth to both OG spots.
4 (Denver) - CB Marcus Hamilton (Virginia) - we need that good #4 CB and PR to eventually replace Rossum. this guy woudl be a good nickel and PR after 2 years behind Webster.
5 (8th) - FB LeRon McClain (Alabama) - Freddy Mac won't be back next year and we need a good backup FB who is like Griffith if Griff goes down.
6 (8th) -OT Herb Traylor (TCU) - just cause

iloxygenil
12-25-2006, 11:48 AM
I don't like the Leak pick. We have Shockey for that I want a vet backup in here.

I like Russell, but no way he starts over Norwood, Norwood is TOO good not to have on the field.

I didn't see Harris play much but I did like the little I saw.

As far as Hamilton goes, never seen him return anything, and as far as Rossy goes...he's out of contract right? PLEASE don't bring him back.

Herb is becoming a popular 6th rounder...he's got Atlanta Falcons written all over him.

Overall I'd say this is a decent mock, but you've done better. And as we approach the draft you'll get even better no doubt =) I doubt we pick a FB, but we'll see. I'm not against it but I'd rather return Freddie Mac, just for the show alone.

Tweety
12-25-2006, 05:06 PM
Hey, guys good to see you all here.

scar988
12-25-2006, 06:22 PM
I don't like the Leak pick. We have Shockey for that I want a vet backup in here.

I like Russell, but no way he starts over Norwood, Norwood is TOO good not to have on the field.

I didn't see Harris play much but I did like the little I saw.

As far as Hamilton goes, never seen him return anything, and as far as Rossy goes...he's out of contract right? PLEASE don't bring him back.

Herb is becoming a popular 6th rounder...he's got Atlanta Falcons written all over him.

Overall I'd say this is a decent mock, but you've done better. And as we approach the draft you'll get even better no doubt =) I doubt we pick a FB, but we'll see. I'm not against it but I'd rather return Freddie Mac, just for the show alone.I think Freddy Mac retires...

JDB7821
12-25-2006, 08:23 PM
my mock:

1 (8th) - S Reggie Nelson (Florida) - think about it. Crocker woudl be a great SS in coverage and hitting is good for it too. imagine a backfield of Hall, Williams, Crocker/Milloy and Nelson
1 (18th) - DE Quentin Moses (Georgia) - Moses + Abraham + Coleman + Jackson + our LB corps + Babineaux = lots of multiple looks and a good overall front 7
2 (8th) - OT Joe Staley (Central Michigan) - great fit for any scheme at LT
3 (8th) - QB Chris Leak (Florida) - good backup to Vick
3 (18th) - RB Gary Russell (Minnesota) - would be our MBIII or Maroney but would actually start with Norwood as the spell back
3 (33rd) - TE Clark Harris (Rutgers) - we need a good all around TE backup and this guy is it
4 (8th) - OG Mansfield Wrotto (Georgia Tech) - won't start right away but would provide good depth to both OG spots.
4 (Denver) - CB Marcus Hamilton (Virginia) - we need that good #4 CB and PR to eventually replace Rossum. this guy woudl be a good nickel and PR after 2 years behind Webster.
5 (8th) - FB LeRon McClain (Alabama) - Freddy Mac won't be back next year and we need a good backup FB who is like Griffith if Griff goes down.
6 (8th) -OT Herb Traylor (TCU) - just cause
I don't like the Moses pick. I think he'd be better served as a 2nd round draft pick, he's disappeared this year. I still believe he's only riding the hype of the other Bulldog linemen that have come before him.

iloxygenil
12-25-2006, 08:54 PM
The thing about Moses is his skill set fits what we need here. He's been doubled throughout the season. I don't care about sheer numbers. It's watching him play and watching him learn how to beat doubles and chips that is the good thing about Moses. I know he may fall a little bit, but look at Kiwi, he should have been selected, that should not have mattered the guy is beastly and doing a fine job. Just because he was dominated by one elite tackle dropped his stock so much.

Then again I guess we'll see. Freddie Mac may very well hang em up, but I think he liked the way he was used here and may extend his career a little bit. Wouldn't surprise me to see him walk away though. But if he does, I say we just go with JG. He is elite for FBs and just gets the shaft for the Pro Bowl.

What did you guys think about Jimmy? On the falcons board everyone is talking moving him to Safety, and I can't stand it. He's not a Safety, he's one of the most physical corners in the league and is able to run with just about anyone, his speed is great. I can't wait to see him continue to develop. Him and Deangelo with a Safety from this draft, it should be a dominant secondary.

JDB7821
12-26-2006, 12:55 AM
I thought Jimmy played pretty damn well in his first start. He was lost on a few plays pre-snap, but they got him in position and he was always ready to come up and make the tackle. We need to keep him at corner. If we get a great ball-hawk behind him, we won't need to worry so much about his covering, although I still think he'll be great at it. If Nelson is off the board, my next choice would be Willis because Hartwell is garbage. After that, we need a DE and if Moses is the guy, then that's who I want. I'll be watching him VERY closely (as in, every defensive snap) in the bowl game.

scar988
12-26-2006, 01:49 AM
I thought Jimmy played pretty damn well in his first start. He was lost on a few plays pre-snap, but they got him in position and he was always ready to come up and make the tackle. We need to keep him at corner. If we get a great ball-hawk behind him, we won't need to worry so much about his covering, although I still think he'll be great at it. If Nelson is off the board, my next choice would be Willis because Hartwell is garbage. After that, we need a DE and if Moses is the guy, then that's who I want. I'll be watching him VERY closely (as in, every defensive snap) in the bowl game.HArtwell is not garbage. also I would love to see Beck step in if Hartwell gets benched. the thing is we don't need a damn linebacker because Hartwell is doign his job despite the tackles #'s.

Shiver
12-26-2006, 03:02 AM
There will be no firing on Christmas. If Jim Mora wanted a security blanket to wrap himself in, well, there it is. That’s as good as it gets.

Another loss, but he gets another game. Another fizzled season, but he gets another game. Another home finale with a double-shot of protests from season-ticket holders (some show up and boo, some don’t show up at all). But today, we open presents.

“I’m not into announcements,” Falcons owner Arthur Blank said when asked if he was considering firing Mora before the team’s final game next week in Philadelphia. “We’re just trying to win a football game.”

At times Sunday, you wondered.

The Falcons lost 10-3 to the Carolina Panthers. They lost to a team that had lost four straight and most recently was dismembered by Pittsburgh, 37-3. They lost to a quarterback (Chris Weinke), who hadn’t won a game since the opening game his rookie year (17 losses and five years ago). They allowed 183 yards rushing to the NFL’s 27th-ranked attack. (The Panthers ran for 88 in the previous two games, but they had 72 yards on their first possession Sunday.)

Time of possession? It read like an Oklahoma-Baylor game: 42 minutes to 18.

Trying to win a football game? You wonder.

If this was a must-win game, how do players trying to save their season and their coach’s job look on a day off? If Jim Mora loses his job next week — and Hanukkah lasts eight nights, not Christmas — it will be because of games like this.

A team loses four straight home games. A team loses must-win games to inferior opponents. A team crumbles in November and December, when NFL identities are cemented.

Arthur Blank does not want to change coaches again. It’s no fun to admit you picked the wrong guy. It’s no fun to start over. It’s no fun to pick a replacement, particularly when you look at the field of candidates and think, “Where’d everybody go?”

But Blank can’t ignore the signs. Two years ago, the Falcons went to the NFC title game in Mora’s first season. But everything that has happened since then screams that year one was an aberration.

The Falcons have become soft. They have become unwatchable. Injuries are not an excuse — they are a test. Look at what Andy Reid has done with the left-for-dead Philadelphia Eagles. Look at what Jeff Fisher has done with Tennessee.

On some teams, players follow their coaches. On some, they just say they do. The Falcons have stopped following Jim Mora. They are soft. They are unwatchable. If Mora is all about passion and fire, why does his team so often lack it? Where’s the edge? Where’s the concern for keeping your job?

Mora admitted that after the team drove to a field goal on its first possession, “There was a period when there wasn’t a lot of energy.”

Does that sound like a team fighting for survival? Does that look like players following their coach?

The Falcons have gone from 11-5 to 8-8 to probably 7-9 (assuming things go as expected in Philadelphia). For all the talk about bad plays, dropped passes, missed blocks, here’s one simple reason why they’ve regressed: They don’t knock anybody down.

Quarterback Michael Vick unwittingly delivered a shot to Mora’s gut in the interview room. “We should be ranked among the elite in this league and we’re not,” he said. “… The talent level is there.”

Which tells you there is either a disconnect between players and coaches, or coaches are making the wrong decisions. They are equally indicting.

The Falcons burned a timeout in the third quarter because they couldn’t get the right players on the field. They also drew a penalty for having too many players on the field. They also lost for the 16th straight time when trailing going into the fourth quarter. So much for coaches winning a game for you.

Blank declined to say much about Mora’s status Sunday, other than today’s news-free plans. But he seemed relaxed, even joking with media members. It was almost like he had no decision to make, or he’s already made it.

iloxygenil
12-26-2006, 10:30 AM
I would rather see Beck on the field to be honest, and Hartwell is being paid to do more than he is. I know he's forcing teams outside, but man alive, I'd really rather have a better athlete out there. You can get a guy to do both cover and clog. We may very well need a linebacker if we lose Demorrio to RFA. There are going to be a few positions of need depending on how Free Agency plays out.

iloxygenil
12-26-2006, 12:41 PM
The more I think about this Weddle kid the more I think he'd be a great pick in the 2nd round no matter who we get in the first. Even if we get Nelson in the first, this guy could come in and be backup Safety, which we need anyway, plus I think he'd play a Mathis type role in a Nickel corner / Safety deal. But with Webster around I'm not sure. I wish we could dump Webster and not have his enormous contract. I don't see that being possible, unless Mora gets a coaching job somewhere else and convinces them to trade for Webster.

I think it's going to be really hard to guess who we're going to draft with a new coaching staff. I want an offensive minded coach, but I want a nasty D coordinator who will blitz and throw lots of different looks at the opposing teams. So I don't know which side I'd rather see the picks spent on. I want a coach who can be creative with Vick, like Sean Peyton is with Bush.

scar988
12-26-2006, 12:54 PM
I would rather see Beck on the field to be honest, and Hartwell is being paid to do more than he is. I know he's forcing teams outside, but man alive, I'd really rather have a better athlete out there. You can get a guy to do both cover and clog. We may very well need a linebacker if we lose Demorrio to RFA. There are going to be a few positions of need depending on how Free Agency plays out.Hartwell is being paid something like 26th out of all starting MLB's in the league. Hartwell is doing his job just fine. I want a coach who next year will swap Beck in for Hartwell on pass plays instead of Reese.

Shiver
12-26-2006, 01:56 PM
I think it's going to be really hard to guess who we're going to draft with a new coaching staff. I want an offensive minded coach, but I want a nasty D coordinator who will blitz and throw lots of different looks at the opposing teams. So I don't know which side I'd rather see the picks spent on. I want a coach who can be creative with Vick, like Sean Peyton is with Bush.

Exactly, who knows what the new coaching staff will think are the needs. Overall I think the schemes we use most likely to change are as follows; power O-Line replacing Gibbs' system, deep passing attack offense replacing Knapp's hybrid schemes, man to man press coverage replacing Donatell's cover 3 schemes.

scar988
12-26-2006, 03:09 PM

Exactly, who knows what the new coaching staff will think are the needs. Overall I think the schemes we use most likely to change are as follows; power O-Line replacing Gibbs' system, deep passing attack offense replacing Knapp's hybrid schemes, man to man press coverage replacing Donatell's cover 3 schemes.
I doubt we go power OL. we don't have the personnel and it woudl take years to get it in. otherwise I agree. I think Cam Cameron comes in as oru head coach the more and more I think of it and he would love to have a ZBS.

Shiver
12-26-2006, 03:26 PM
San Diego's O-Line;

LT - Marcus McNeil [6'5" 330]
LG - Kris Deilman [6'4" 310]
C - Nick Hardwick [6'4" 290]
RG - Mike Goff [6'5" 310]
RT - Shane Olivea [6'4" 310]

Overall the Chargers O-Line isn't that much bigger than our own. The only thing we'd have to do to transistion is a new LG and LT. The Chargers offense relies a lot on power-O, counters, traps, pulling guards. Cam Cameron is my personal favorite choice of all the coaching candidates. However, unless they are a quick out in the playoffs, Blank may not have patience to wait on him.

iloxygenil
12-26-2006, 04:00 PM
Hey scar..you know what happened to deadly fire? Someone hacked it from Elite Design or something like that...you know how to get ahold of D-unit?

I don't think we have the people for power OL either. It would take a couple years to do it...I think we could have 1 or 2 guys who would be able to make it, but then we'd have to spend 3 picks in the draft on offensive line, likely all first day picks to get what we needed to fill in the holes. I think a modified ZBS would be really sweet, bringing in some bigger guys over time and phasing out the ZBS.

iloxygenil
12-26-2006, 04:05 PM
Is it possible we could end up with the #7 overall pick if everything goes right? I think I figured that out right with our TERRIBLE stregnth of schedule it helps us SO much...

scar988
12-26-2006, 04:09 PM
San Diego's O-Line;

LT - Marcus McNeil [6'5" 330]
LG - Kris Deilman [6'4" 310]
C - Nick Hardwick [6'4" 290]
RG - Mike Goff [6'5" 310]
RT - Shane Olivea [6'4" 310]

Overall the Chargers O-Line isn't that much bigger than our own. The only thing we'd have to do to transistion is a new LG and LT. The Chargers offense relies a lot on power-O, counters, traps, pulling guards. Cam Cameron is my personal favorite choice of all the coaching candidates. However, unless they are a quick out in the playoffs, Blank may not have patience to wait on him.actually Cameron runs a ZBS minus the large amount of cut blocks. if we bring in Cameron expect Cable, Dalman and Gibbs to stay since the Chargers OL is basically ZBS style. We would just shift Ojinnaka or Omiyale to LG and have them start and draft an athletic left tackle who can pass block and run block like a Joe Staley or a Ryan Harris in the 2nd round.

scar988
12-26-2006, 04:13 PM
Is it possible we could end up with the #7 overall pick if everything goes right? I think I figured that out right with our TERRIBLE stregnth of schedule it helps us SO much...nope. the highest could be 8 though and the lowest could be 15. I hope it is #8. then we can get an elite guy like we did in DeAngelo Hall.

Shiver
12-26-2006, 04:15 PM
actually Cameron runs a ZBS minus the large amount of cut blocks. if we bring in Cameron expect Cable, Dalman and Gibbs to stay since the Chargers OL is basically ZBS style.

I live in AFC West country, and have seen every Chargers game this year. They in no way run a ZBS style, it's as I said, traps and counters all the way.

scar988
12-26-2006, 04:34 PM
actually Cameron runs a ZBS minus the large amount of cut blocks. if we bring in Cameron expect Cable, Dalman and Gibbs to stay since the Chargers OL is basically ZBS style.

I live in AFC West country, and have seen every Chargers game this year. They in no way run a ZBS style, it's as I said, traps and counters all the way.ZBS is very much a trap and counter type system unless you are going by Gibbs ZBS. Gibbs ZBS is a cut blocking style that is a bit different. he should have used some traps though. it wouldn't have hurt. the trap and counter system still likes more athletic guys though size isn't as restrictive and Cable is a good coach who I think stays with us whether or not Gibbs does. Zone blockign systems aren't just the run one way and cut on the backside that Gibbs tries to use all the time

iloxygenil
12-26-2006, 06:20 PM
I very much like the idea of a ZBS that allows more physical linemen. Like San Diego...there is a reason they are succsessful, and it's mostly LT, but the way that the run game sets up, a lot of his runs are runs that any back could make, then, there are the amazing ones only he can do, but still, it'd be very successful here, and allows great pass protection.

The Falcons are lacking vastly in pass protection, there is just no way that we improve it with our current system and players. Matt Lehr is attrcious, I do like Clabo however. So I think Guard, with Forney back isn't as big of a need anymore that Clabo has stepped up and been VERY good in pass protection. We do need a LT very bad, Gandy is old, I like him, but he holds a lot as well.

I think Joe Staley should be our #1 target.

If we get the #8 overall selection, wow...how amazing that would be. Lets mock for a second...

#1 - Quinn
#2 - Johnson
#3 - Adams
#4 - Peterson
#5 - Thomas
#6 - Leon Hall
#7 - Alan Branch
#8 - That leaves us with TONS of options...

I think the top 5 are the consensus top 5...after that there are a lot of ways this could spin, but none of those guys in the top 5 should slip at all...then again...if this Russel talk is real, then #1-6 will be elite talents this year, unlike the top 3 last year. I think if there is any way we can do it for Schaub + our first, we should move up and get Calvin, there's no one like him.

iloxygenil
12-26-2006, 06:22 PM
I saw something that made me cringe on Sunday...that no one has talked about. Vick on that bomb, it hit Roddy White's hands...no one saw it I guess, but it hit him in the hands...that should have been atleast a 60 yard completion if not a TD...then the next play he didn't even lift his head and just let the interception happen.

Shiver
12-26-2006, 08:30 PM
Well I only saw the end of the game, it was the only one I've missed all year. Not that it mattered, I knew we'd lose it. Under this regime I expect to lose must win games. We won't win versus Philadelphia. So 7-9, and hopefully all the teams move past us on the draft chart, to give the new coaching staff a playmaker to start out with.

Shiver
12-26-2006, 08:54 PM
Here is my bias; *I* believe in power football. Beating another team, when it comes to physicality and toughness. That is exactly what the team is not right now.

On offense we run a gimmick offense, on short yardage when you need to dominate up front we don't have it, either on the O-Line or at RB. We've lost a lot of games due to inability to punch in routine 3rd and short plays. Warrick Dunn doesn't run with any power, and he shouldn't have to be in that role. The O-Line struggles in obvious passing situations (see the offense's fourth quarter productivity), and short yardage situations. Instead the Falcons' only legitimate running game is the spread option.

On Defense it's the same thing. We are way too passive, I have no idea why Coordinators like Donatell among others still believe in the 'bend but don't break,' passive, vanilla defense. Good Quarterbacks can carve that up. Tony Romo struggles against man-to-man coverages with pressure on him, yet the coaches still call up the same vanilla cover-3 looks. The defenses that produce are aggressive, mix it up, confuse the QB, succeed in today's QB friendly NFL. Combine that with physical and mental toughness and you have a killer defense.

For a new coach, what *I* want is someone who can fire up a team, and play smart, fundamental football, and get after people. It's painfully obvious to me that the coaching has been inadequate for a long time. The same mental mistakes are being repeated. The schemes aren't working, and the players have not bought into them. The Falcons routinely start flat in games, falling behind early. I never see a big hit, an explosive play, early in a game to fire the team up. Whoever Blank gets, I hope he hires coaches with good credentials, unlike the last time. Mora and Knapp were heads of decent, but not great, units on a underachieving 49ers team. Donatell was run off from Green Bay for his passive defensive schemes. It was clear they were not the best qualified, as Lovie Smith took a team with less talent, and developed a winner, as if he has Midas' touch. They aren't the biggest team, or talented, but they play like their bigger, faster, meaner, tougher, than anybody else.

The biggest need on offense is to transition to a conventional offense, featuring the vertical passing attack, it's clear that when Vick is throwing deep his stats and production are fantastic, while his short-mid range passing splits tell a different story. His completion percentage is much high on 20+ passes. We need to return to '02, when he had a phenomenal YPC, YPA, 20+ yard passes, yards.

in case you didn't notice; I highligted "*I*" to show where I feel on the team's state, if I was McKay/Blank that's what I would do, not neccessarily what they are going to do in real life.

scar988
12-26-2006, 09:29 PM
I do agree that we need some better power up front. but we have some power on the right side in Forney (307) and Wiener (plays like 310 but is only 295). we need some of that same power in the LG spot and LT spot. I would love to see us get Joe Staley (6'5" 300 but plays like 315 and quick in protections) and use a guy like Omiyale at LG. gives us power and speed on the OL if you have the starts as:
LT - Staley
LG - Omiyale
C - McClure (not really powerful but smart and uses good technique)
RG - Forney
RT - Wiener
I just feel that a Zone blocking style like Cameron's would work with our personnel and would allow for better pass blocking than Whisenhunt's power style that we don't have the personnel for.I also agree wholeheartedly about defense. in fact I woudl prefer a defense that had 5 or more guys rushing the passer every play. I would love to see tenuta's multiple front defense here in Atlanta. he uses 46, 4-3 and 3-4 looks and we would be great under it with our personnel. we have the bulk of the pieces already for it. but it woudl be similar to a Ryan defense. I would love ot bring in Rob Ryan for DC, Cam Cameron for HC and a guy like Mike Sherman for OC (was a good play caller for Green Bay)

Shiver
12-26-2006, 09:36 PM
Well, an improved left side would only help 1/2 of the problem. The fact of the matter is we've used Warrick Dunn as the short yardage back all year is a sad fact.

scar988
12-26-2006, 09:41 PM
Well, an improved left side would only help 1/2 of the problem. The fact of the matter is we've used Warrick Dunn as the short yardage back all year is a sad fact.oh I agree. I would love to get Gary Russell and use him as a starter because he reminds me of Marion Barber III and would be great for us IMO.

iloxygenil
12-26-2006, 10:25 PM
Gary is good, I like him, but I'm not sure which powerback I like the most in this draft. I want Norwood as our primary, he can take it to the house at any time. I don't want to see us ruin another RBs career like we did Duckett's by not giving him a chance to play

DraftMichaelHuff
12-27-2006, 07:52 AM
My Offseason Plan

*Bring in an offensive minded head coach. I like what ive read on here about Cameron from San Diego.
*Bring In an established and aggressive D Co-ordinator, an older guy Jimmy Johnson (the eagles DC??)
*Bring In a tecnitian at O cordinator to improve offsive consistantcy, a guy who properly studies the other team looks for ways to best utlize the potential of his freakish players- a Sean Payton esk guy?
*Find a NEW WR coach an - ex player maybe
*Keep Bill Musgrave

Draft

*Trade Matt Shaub to the Lions for the 1st pick in the 2nd round
*Sign a guy like Tim Rattay as the steadying influence at backup QB

round 1 #8 NT Alan Branch - Awesome addition to the falcons d line when looking at the draft as a whole. While safety is a bigger need there is plenty of talent further on down, whereas huge DTs seem to start and end with Branch

round 2 #1 DE Quintin Moses - I don't think there is any doubt that either he, or another DE falls, weather that is woodley or abaimiri or Moses. My money is on Moses who i think could be great for the falcons.

round 2 #8 OT Joe Staley- Fits perfectly and hopefully the OLine becomes more of a focus with the new coaching staff.

round 3 #8 SS/OLB Aaron Rouse- Gives us possible SS, ILB and OLB depth all in one. Gives the new D co ordinator flexibility, lights a fire under crocker and can learn from Milloy. I think this would be a great pick

round 3 #33 FS Brendan Merriweather - I decided to mix it up from the constant Nelson and Griffin selections to get better value. Character issues are the obivious problems but has everything else we are after at great value later on day 1 when was initially ranked as high or higher than griffin and nelson. If he gets his head on i think he has what it takes to start next season

round 4 #8 TE Scott Chandler - a great backup option to alge, his blocks need a bit of work but at 6"7 and with good hands and speed may very well lead to some more two TE sets employed buy our new coaching staff who i pray acutally mixes things up on offense.

round 5 #8 RB Tyrone Moss - experience in the zbs, nikname was "hands off" plenty of size n power at 230lb dispite his height 5"9 and a perfect compliment to Jerious Norwood as Dunn is phased out.

round 6 #8CB Kenny Scott- Great unknown prospect, he popped up alot in the few GT games i watched to see if Calvin Johnson was for real, reminds me of pat watkins the way he throws himself around on the feild and the two also share similar types of builds at 6"2 180

2007 Depth Chart

QB 1. Vick 2. Rattay 3. Shockley
HB 1. Norwood 50% 2. Moss 30% 3. Warrick Dunn 20%
WR 1. Jenkins 2 White 3. Lelie 4. Finneran 5 Jennings
TE 1. Alge 2 Chandler 3. Beverly
LT 1. Staley Gandy
LG 1. Oquinaka (sp) Clabo
C 1. McClure FA
RG 1. Forney Alexander
RT 1. Weiner Ominyale

LE 1.Kerney 2. Davis
NT 1.Jackson 2.Branch 3. Shropshire
UT 1. Coleman 2 Babineaux 3. Jackson
RE 1. Abraham 2. Moses
RLB 1. Brooking DMO
MLB 1. Hartwell 2.Beck
LLB Boley Rouse
CB 1. Hall 3. Webster 6. Rossum
FS 1. Merriweather 2. Crocker 3. Mathis
SS 1. Milloy 2. Rouse 3. Crocker
CB 2. Williams 4. Scott 5. Cash

Ok that took a while so thoughts and feelings would be appreciated

ATLDirtyBirds
12-27-2006, 07:54 AM
I'd really love it if with our two first we could get LaRon Landry and Marshawn Lynch. IMO they are both exactly what we need.

iloxygenil
12-27-2006, 12:10 PM
I'm thinkin Alan Branch wouldn't be a BAD choice...however...we have no need for him...none...our DT isn't at all a problem, and Tommy and Darrell did great work when they got in the game...I'm thinkin they are fine to develop under Grady. Don't waste the talent we can get with the #8 pick on a player who wont get to play

ATLDirtyBirds
12-27-2006, 08:05 PM
LARON LANDRY FOR ATL'S FIRST ROUNDER!!!!!!!!

iloxygenil
12-27-2006, 08:16 PM
I'll take him, but he's not my top choice.

Draft King
12-27-2006, 09:16 PM
What needs to happen for the Falcons to make the playoffs.

Shiver
12-28-2006, 01:12 AM
What needs to happen for the Falcons to make the playoffs?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c9/Christus_Ravenna_Mosaic.jpg/175px-Christus_Ravenna_Mosaic.jpg

iloxygenil
12-28-2006, 01:15 AM
What needs to happen for the Falcons to make the playoffs.
Giants Loss...
we beat Philly...
Carolina Loss...
Cowboys Loss
one other team...I forget...

Basically not going to happen, so ideally we play hard and well, but we lose, so we can get up to the #8 pick if all the other teams win...Dolphins etc

iloxygenil
12-28-2006, 01:26 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9817776
Playoff Scenarios

Shiver
12-28-2006, 01:38 AM
My answer was better, and far more realistic. :lol:

ATLDirtyBirds
12-28-2006, 07:09 AM
http://www.reelmoviecritic.com/rmc/images/miracle.jpg

Beat that Shiver

iloxygenil
12-28-2006, 08:31 AM
I'd say the Jesus one was better...

ATLDirtyBirds
12-28-2006, 02:00 PM
I'd say the Jesus one was better...

I'd say your upset that LaRon Landry is better than Reggie Nelson.

HEADBANG

Shiver
12-28-2006, 03:10 PM
Here is an excerpt from a SI article on the State of the Falcons, good read I thought;

Even before Jim Mora created a firestorm two weeks ago by ostensibly joking about his "dream job" at the University of Washington -- his alma mater -- he had been placed on notice by owner Arthur Blank for its nightmarish swoon.

In late November -- following a third consecutive loss -- Blank told the Atlanta-Journal Constitution that missing the playoffs "is definitely not good enough from any perspective." Since then, Blank has scrutinized the franchise without a back-to-back winning season in its 41-year history. "We have to dig to find out why we're not playing with consistency," he said.

But Mora's interview with a Seattle radio station shouldn't be a factor. I'm not as cynical as most who felt that Mora's tone was too serious to claim facetiousness. The bigger issue is that Mora is .500 for the first time in his tenure. Atlanta is among five 7-8 clubs clinging to wild-card hopes in the national feeble conference (NFC). The Falcons must win at Philadelphia while the Giants, Packers and Panthers must lose or tie in tough road games. The playoffs look like a longshot for Atlanta. So here is a breakdown of each area Blank may decide to revamp.

COACH JIM MORA

During the summer, Mora received an extension through 2009 as a reward for having the best winning percentage in franchise history. But since reaching the conference championship in his first season, Mora's Falcons have gone 15-16. Quarterback Michael Vick has unwittingly stirred the pot with comments such as this one from last Sunday: "You know, the talent level is there. ... We should be ranked among the elite in this league this year and we're not." Still, Atlanta -- 11-5 in 2004 and 8-8 last season -- has never had three straight non-losing seasons. So a win Sunday would at least provide Mora with that distinction, and make it tougher for Blank to fire him.

OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR GREG KNAPP

If Mora returns, there's no guarantee that Knapp, whose playcalling has been criticized as unimaginative, is safe. Knapp may suffer the same fate as Maurice Carthon -- the former Browns coordinator -- who "resigned" in the middle of the season against head coach Romeo Crennel's wishes. Knapp has altered his West Coast offense to Vick's strengths, but management may decide that it still doesn't fit Vick, who's at his best adlibbing. The offense is too unbalanced -- No. 1 in rushing and last in passing. Knapp can make a case that Vick's passer rating has quietly improved to 74.9 (better than Matt Hasselbeck, Ben Roethlisberger and Brett Favre). And Vick has thrown for a career-high 19 touchdowns.

RECEIVERS COACH GEORGE STEWART

The little-known assistant may end up being dismissed for his crew's blues. However, it's not like Stewart's wideouts were Pro Bowlers before being under his tutelage. Stewart works hard to maximize his players's abilities, leading to improvement late in the season.

MICHAEL VICK

Vick isn't going anywhere -- and not just because of his gazillion-dollar contract. Blank is a huge supporter of Vick, who is 38-27-1 in three full seasons as a starter. Vick is the first quarterback to amass 1,000 rushing yards in a season, but he's also the NFL's least accurate passer at 52.4 percent. Vick's supporters believe that Steve Young is the model. Young arrived in San Francisco a scrambler with a 3-16 record and 63.1 rating before turning into a Hall of Famer. One NFC personnel executive told me: "The comparison has to start with Steve Young. If San Francisco found a way to accommodate Steve Young -- or Steve Young found a way to be a part of the offense in San Francisco -- that would be a blue print. Another AFC scout added: "To run a controlled passing attack, it's essential to have an accurate passer. Whether his inconsistencies can improve remain to be seen. But he's a rare guy who causes defenses to prepare differently."

WIDE RECEIVERS

Blaming Vick's receivers reached new heights this season after numerous drops. The nadir occurred when they dropped five passes in a Nov. 26 home loss to New Orleans, causing Blank to lament: "We have three first-round draft choices, and none of them can catch." Former first-round picks Michael Jenkins and Roddy White haven't lived up to expectations. Ashley Lelie -- a former first-round pick acquired in a trade for tailback T.J. Duckett -- has improved his performance only recently. Lelie, who becomes a free agent after the season, said: "The best of 'em go through a spell. T.O. and Steve Smith drop the ball." Atlanta's receivers -- next-to-last in yards after catch -- have improved to 13th in drops.

GM RICH McKAY

Since being hired in 2003, McKay has made several prudent moves, including drafting cornerback DeAngelo Hall, tailback Jerious Norwood, linebackers Demorrio Williams and Michael Boley. But McKay's reputation took a hit with Blank's blunt assessment of Atlanta's receivers. Linebacker John Abraham -- who has played six games this season after being acquired with a first-round pick -- is a monster when he's healthy. But the $45 million question -- the value of his six-year deal -- is whether he'll play enough to make an impact. Abraham, who had a pin placed in his left thumb last week, has missed more than a third of the games in his seven-year career. So McKay is banking on a player who's been like Samuel Jackson's character in Unbreakable.

OFFENSIVE CONSULTANT ALEX GIBBS

The offensive line has been shaky in pass blocking, especially after losing its best player, guard Kynan Forney, in November. Vick's Houdini-like moves haven't kept him from being pounded all season. Gibbs is the de facto offensive line coach -- although the title goes to Tom Cable -- and has built Atlanta's line like the undersized unit that flourished in Denver. But you have to wonder whether Knapp's offense meshes with Gibbs's zone-blocking methods.

DEFENSE

During the offseason, the unit added players such as Abraham and safeties Chris Crocker and Lawyer Milloy, but it has struggled, partly because of injuries. Defensive end Patrick Kerney and safety Kevin Mathis were placed on the injured reserve, and linebacker Ed Hartwell has missed most of the season. That doesn't fully explain the pass defense regressing to among the NFL's worst. Gifted cornerback DeAngelo Hall -- after performing well early -- allowed too many big plays for him to be considered a shutdown cornerback. At least Atlanta's run defense has improved markedly behind defensive tackle Grady Jackson.

OWNER ARTHUR BLANK

In his fifth year as Falcons owner, Blank also intends assess his role. B(l)ank spares no costs, as illustrated by Atlanta's $11 million condo-like practice facility in Flowery Branch, Ga. But Blank has somehow escaped the criticism of other hands-on (meddlesome?) owners like Daniel Snyder. Can you imagine the reaction to Snyder unabashedly pacing the sidelines? (Jerry Jones is immune to criticism because of three Super Bowl rings and a football background.) I don't blame Blank for publicly calling out his underachieving club. To avoid overkill, he's declined interviews by the national media until the end of the season. "He has a right to say what he wants," tailback Warrick Dunn told me. "This guy does a lot of research." But Blank -- whose club is 2-3 since his warning -- has made some intemperate remarks that haven't exactly lifted the club. Perhaps Blank, who wouldn't fire himself, should experiment with a less visible role.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/nunyo_demasio/12/28/falcons/index.html

iloxygenil
12-28-2006, 05:05 PM
We have some trashy coaches...need to dump them, then we're good to go

scar988
12-28-2006, 08:17 PM
I would say only keep these coaches and keep them in these roles:

QB - Bill Musgrave (Vick improved a lot this year and he is why. he knows every offensive scheme you can think of and can help the new coach draw up the perfect scheme for Vick)
OL - Cable/Dalman/Gibbs/Barone (this group includes the TE coach because that seems to be all the TE coach really is. I think the pass blocking is more about the talent (see right side of the line compared to the left) than the scheme. I think a guy like a Joe Staley woudl be great for the LT spot and we can use one of the "O"'s to be our LG. and get good pass blocking)
DL - Bill Johnson and Joe Lombardi (the DL works hard and even with the low talent level past the starting 4, Davis and Bab-no we still have a good set of backups who work hard and IMO are underrated)
ST - Joe DeCamillis and Steve Hoffman (ever since we signed Morten Anderson the kicking problems ended and ever since then we have had great coverages and some of the most creative schemes I have seen for ST)

iloxygenil
12-29-2006, 12:18 AM
Cowher to Atlanta, a real possibility? I heard he's leaving Pitt..could be amazing to see him here in Atlanta, we want the chin!

iloxygenil
12-29-2006, 12:20 AM
I would say only keep these coaches and keep them in these roles:

QB - Bill Musgrave (Vick improved a lot this year and he is why. he knows every offensive scheme you can think of and can help the new coach draw up the perfect scheme for Vick)
OL - Cable/Dalman/Gibbs/Barone (this group includes the TE coach because that seems to be all the TE coach really is. I think the pass blocking is more about the talent (see right side of the line compared to the left) than the scheme. I think a guy like a Joe Staley woudl be great for the LT spot and we can use one of the "O"'s to be our LG. and get good pass blocking)
DL - Bill Johnson and Joe Lombardi (the DL works hard and even with the low talent level past the starting 4, Davis and Bab-no we still have a good set of backups who work hard and IMO are underrated)
ST - Joe DeCamillis and Steve Hoffman (ever since we signed Morten Anderson the kicking problems ended and ever since then we have had great coverages and some of the most creative schemes I have seen for ST)
Sounds good to me. But I want everyone else FIRED...I wanted George Stewart fired years ago.

scar988
12-29-2006, 12:25 AM
Cowher to Atlanta, a real possibility? I heard he's leaving Pitt..could be amazing to see him here in Atlanta, we want the chin!I love Cowher but I would want him to keep the 4-3 and keep the ZBS other than that I woudl be happy.

Shiver
12-29-2006, 01:12 AM
Eh, I am tired of the speculation, I just want him out and welcome the new era with open arms. Somehow I have to freeze myself so I can skip over weeks of boredom, waiting for it.

scar988
12-29-2006, 02:14 AM
McClure just re-signed. good thing too. 5 years for a little under 10M.

Shiver
12-29-2006, 02:03 PM
We hae our C, RG, RT signed up long-term. Now to work on that left side and we could have the best line in football.

scar988
12-29-2006, 02:13 PM
We hae our C, RG, RT signed up long-term. Now to work on that left side and we could have the best line in football.yup. IMO move Omiyale with his 36" arms, 310 pound frame and have him at LG and we would have a Forney-esque LG only better in pass protection because of his arms. then put in a guy like Joe Staley at LT and we have a very solid starting OL.

Shiver
12-29-2006, 02:30 PM
Ideally I'd like Omiyale at LT, but I am unsure what his development is. He is built like D'Brickashaw Ferguson, except obviously, raw.

iloxygenil
12-29-2006, 02:46 PM
I have to agree, I like Quinn at LG and Staley at LT...this would be the best solution...then again, Clabo has been a beast, so we have insurance there too. I also agree that I just want whoever is going to be the coach here to get locked in and FAST...we need someone in here so they can start the changes and run the entire offseason the way they want it done.

Oh by the way, really cool to see my question get responded to and get the 'cover story' =)

scar988
12-29-2006, 04:18 PM
Ideally I'd like Omiyale at LT, but I am unsure what his development is. He is built like D'Brickashaw Ferguson, except obviously, raw.I agree but who knows. All I know is that Gandy should either leave or move to LG. that coudl work too and would make us pretty solid size wise:
LT - Omiyale - 6'4" 310
LG - Gandy - 6'4" 315
C - McClure - 6'2" 286
RG - Forney - 6'3" 307
RT - Wiener - 6'5" 298
and the main backups aren't bad right now size wise either:
OL - Ojinnaka - 6'5" 296
OL - Clabo - 6'6" 315
we need at worst 2 guys to play backups and IMO we cut Gandy and go with a guy like Omiyale at LG.

Shiver
12-29-2006, 07:42 PM
The white hot rumour is Ken Whisenhunt. He's always impressed me with his imagination, so hopefully he can be *our* Sean Payton-equivalent. Michael Vick would be awesome in the Ben Roethlisberger role, play action deep passing attack build off of a power rushing attack.

iloxygenil
12-29-2006, 07:46 PM
Where are you hearing this? Is he really a viable option? What is his background? I know I've heard his name, couldn't think of where from though. And Sean Peyton is a once in a decade type coach...you don't just find guys like that lyin around...

scar988
12-29-2006, 07:52 PM
The white hot rumour is Ken Whisenhunt. He's always impressed me with his imagination, so hopefully he can be *our* Sean Payton-equivalent. Michael Vick would be awesome in the Ben Roethlisberger role, play action deep passing attack build off of a power rushing attack.I think Whisenhunt could build off of a zone just as much as a power. IMO the ZBS is a great scheme. we just need to get some talent in the 2nd this year to play LT for us.

scar988
12-29-2006, 07:54 PM
Where are you hearing this? Is he really a viable option? What is his background? I know I've heard his name, couldn't think of where from though. And Sean Peyton is a once in a decade type coach...you don't just find guys like that lyin around...once in a decade type? look at the first year of the 3 head coaches hired since the NFCS was made:
Gruden = won division, Super Bowl win
Mora = won division, made it to the NFCCG
Payton = won division, ???

iloxygenil
12-29-2006, 10:37 PM
I'm not talking about wins...I'm talking about the coach. He cme in there and just turned everything around there, he has great schemes and executes them exceptionally well...it's quite amazing how good he is. Mora walked in on a team that was just ready for change and happened to over achieve for a coach who let them just play instead of cracking the whip, so for a year players went after it...after that...they take advantage of the coaches inability to crack down on them. Gruden walked into Dungy's team, plopped right down on a team that would have won with just about anyone coaching. That defense was nasty.

scar988
12-30-2006, 12:02 AM
I'm not talking about wins...I'm talking about the coach. He cme in there and just turned everything around there, he has great schemes and executes them exceptionally well...it's quite amazing how good he is. Mora walked in on a team that was just ready for change and happened to over achieve for a coach who let them just play instead of cracking the whip, so for a year players went after it...after that...they take advantage of the coaches inability to crack down on them. Gruden walked into Dungy's team, plopped right down on a team that would have won with just about anyone coaching. That defense was nasty.and IMO we have a similar situation but with better talent. think when Bellichick first went into the pats:
5-11 first year but had a lot of talent
11-5 2nd year SB win
9-7 3rd year
14-2 4th year SB win
14-2 5th year SB win
10-6 6th year divison win
11-4 7th year division champ
so he has 6 winning seasons in 7, 3 super bowl wins, 5 division championships and only one losing season.

Shiver
12-30-2006, 12:29 AM
Where are you hearing this? Is he really a viable option? What is his background? I know I've heard his name, couldn't think of where from though. And Sean Peyton is a once in a decade type coach...you don't just find guys like that lyin around...

Ken Whisenhunt; grad of Georgia Tech, former Atlanta Falcons TE, current Pittsburgh Steelers OC, considered the 'hot' coaching prospect last year but the only team left that didn't hire until after the Super Bowl was Oakland and he didn't want to go there.

Whisenhunt's Coaching Timeline:

Year Team Position

1995-1996 Vanderbilt University Special Teams, Tight Ends & H-backs

1997-1998 Baltimore Ravens Tight Ends

1999 Cleveland Browns Special Teams

2000 New York Jets Tight Ends

2001-2003 Pittsburgh Steelers Tight Ends

2004-2006 Pittsburgh Steelers Offensive Coordinator

His style on offense is to run the ball, then throw deep off play-action, sounds like '02 all over again right? He also likes the gadget plays, which shows innovation. Being from the Cowher tree is a bonus. According to Peter King he's the hot commodity, but we have the edge due to the Falcons being his dream job. Which may also mean something to Blank considering the UW fiasco, where Mora's loyalty came under fire.

Shiver
12-30-2006, 12:45 AM
I'm not talking about wins...I'm talking about the coach. He cme in there and just turned everything around there, he has great schemes and executes them exceptionally well...it's quite amazing how good he is. Mora walked in on a team that was just ready for change and happened to over achieve for a coach who let them just play instead of cracking the whip, so for a year players went after it...after that...they take advantage of the coaches inability to crack down on them. Gruden walked into Dungy's team, plopped right down on a team that would have won with just about anyone coaching. That defense was nasty.

Well, with all due respect to Payton, that Saints team had a massive turnover of players. He didn't turn things around as much as Loomis and him brought in some talent. Combine that talent, Brees, Bush, Thomas, Fujita, Colston, Evans, Faine with the return of McAllister and Horn healthy and that's what you get. Kudos to Payton, he's done a nice job, but I wouldn't solely credit him with the Saints turnaround.

scar988
12-30-2006, 12:50 AM

Ken Whisenhunt; grad of Georgia Tech, former Atlanta Falcons TE, current Pittsburgh Steelers OC, considered the 'hot' coaching prospect last year but the only team left that didn't hire until after the Super Bowl was Oakland and he didn't want to go there.

Year Team Position

His style on offense is to run the ball, then throw deep off play-action, sounds like '02 all over again right? He also likes the gadget plays, which shows innovation. Being from the Cowher tree is a bonus. According to Peter King he's the hot commodity, but we have the edge due to the Falcons being his dream job. Which may also mean something to Blank considering the UW fiasco, where Mora's loyalty came under fire.exactly. not to mention Whisenhunt loves the Atlanta area and would get a contract and would be like our Bill Cowher.
my new idea of a coaching staff:
keep:
QB - Bill Musgrave - Vick improved a lot this year and he is why. he knows every offensive scheme you can think of and can help the new coach draw up the perfect scheme for Vick
OL/TE - Cable/Dalman/Gibbs/Barone - this group includes the TE coach because that seems to be all the TE coach really is. I think the pass blocking is more about the talent (see right side of the line compared to the left) than the scheme. I think a guy like a Joe Staley woudl be great for the LT spot and we can use one of the "O"'s to be our LG. and get good pass blocking
DL - Bill Johnson and Joe Lombardi - the DL works hard and even with the low talent level past the starting 4, Davis and Bab-no we still have a good set of backups who work hard and IMO are underrated
ST - Joe DeCamillis and Steve Hoffman - ever since we signed Morten Anderson the kicking problems ended and ever since then we have had great coverages and some of the most creative schemes I have seen for ST, I woudl even think about bringing in Morten Anderson after he retires for the final time.

new guys to bring in:
HC - Ken Whisenhunt - He has a great history in Atlanta as the former GT TE and former Falcons TE. Went to HS in Atlanta. Before there was Keith Brooking, there was Ken Whisenhunt. Whisenhunt also has the thing in Steelerville known as a good offense and would put his foot down with the stupid stuff that Mora instilled (like the punk attitudes he encouraged) and we would have a disciplined, intelligent team with great schemes, and he would give interviews as boring as the guys like Lovie Smith, Tony Dungy, Bill Bellichick and Andy Reid. The types of interviews that wouldn't make people think that we had a bad coach. just a boring one. but those 4 guys are boring and have all been to the playoffs in back to back years and have both had back to back winning seasons. both things that we need to have IMO before we get the monkeys off our backs for the Super Bowl win
OC - Mike Sherman - Add his WCO experience and great play calling with Whisenhunt's Steeler's offense and the ZBS and we could have one of the best offensive scheme's for Vick to have because it woudl eb a combination of everything he has learned in addition to good play calling and an overall better scheme. It would be the best thing for Vick and wouldn't hurt the team in any way either.
RB - Terrell Davis - hardest guy to come up with by far. all the good RB coaches are taken or are OC's now. We get a guy with experience as a top RB in the ZBS and is known for his hard work. Was super bowl MVP once and would be better in this role than his role as an analyst for NFL Netwrok and CBS
WR - Terence Mathis - expressed interest in the job and was the leader of the 1998 group that got us to the super bowl. was never one of our fastest or biggest guys but was great in terms of technique and route running and had great hands. would get into our guys asses so that Vick wouldn't have to and would have them staying after practice for work with the juggs machines whether they liked it or not. would be like Musgrave was with Vick and force them to improve.
DC - Jim Bates - took one Donatell mess and made it a great defense. A 4-3 that fits the team with isolated man press corners, safeties in robber zones (one mid zone one deep) a lot, and a zone blitz front 7 (re-sign Kerney or draft a guy like a Woodley or Moses) would be great for us and would make our defense a top 10 defense in both points and yards and would give us an aggressive defense that we might need. Took this past year off because he lost out in the head coaching race for Green Bay.
LB - Jesse Tuggle - Taught Brooking everything he knows. He knows how to get to his guys as he was the leader for our defense from 1987-2000. He also knows multiple schemes as he has played in 4-3 and 3-4 for about half of his career in each.
DB - Ronnie Lott, Kevin Mathis & Keion Carpenter - Lott layed CB, FS and SS at a pro bowl level despite whether he was a CB, FS or SS. He wasn't always the biggest, strongest or even faster guy but relied on technique and knew how to get his guys fired up. Same thing goes with Mathis and Mathis already knows our guys strengths and weaknesses and was never a pro bowler. Carpenter was a good player for us but when he was out they were calling him coach Carp because of how well he related to the guys and got them to play harder.

Shiver
12-30-2006, 12:54 AM
Another qualification for Whisenhunt, in '05 the Steelers were 9th in scoring, even with Ben's regression and injuries they are still ranked 11th, ahead of Greg Knapp's offenses in both years, with less talent.

Shiver
12-30-2006, 12:56 AM
scar I think those coaches is just too varied of a mixture. WCO coaches mixed with vertical passing attack coaches, coaches who teach Gibbs' system with coaches with mauler O-Line backgrounds.

scar988
12-30-2006, 12:59 AM
scar I think those coaches is just too varied of a mixture. WCO coaches mixed with vertical passing attack coaches, coaches who teach Gibbs' system with coaches with mauler O-Line backgrounds.that's the point. we need a little bit of everything. IMO it's a team that is good at everything and great at nothing that wins championships. not a team that is great at one or 2 things and horrible everywhere else. Think we could have a very creative and fresh scheme mixing the WCO with Whisenhunt's offesne and the ZBS with some power blocking (the OL coaches are all holdovers though.)

scar988
12-30-2006, 01:00 AM
I am bumping the fact that you guys will never win a SB with Vick....bump^^quit trolling. it's annoying and you need to be banned for tryign to start ****. your post has been reported to a mod.

Shiver
12-30-2006, 01:01 AM
I am bumping the fact that you guys will never win a SB with Vick....bump^^

Sorry I cannot read posts emanating from the cellar dwellers of the division. Who are the QB of the future for them anyway? Oh yeah, Chris Simms. :lol:

scar988
12-30-2006, 01:06 AM
again phrostbuc, this is where you will get banned. it's called trolling. and you are doing it and it is against forum rules.

Shiver
12-30-2006, 01:07 AM
trolling and racist banter, you're a goner, have a nice day.

P-L
12-30-2006, 01:09 AM
Yeah, cool it with the trash talk. Team Discussion threads aren't the place.

scar988
12-30-2006, 01:12 AM
Yeah, cool it with the trash talk. Team Discussion threads aren't the place.P-L you should delete his posts once he is banned.

hows it racist?
Its not my fault you can't think of a witty comeback to keep your self from looking like an idiot.
it's very racist because you act like all black people live in the ghetto and you said
YOu can take the negro out of the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto out of the negro
very racist. quit acting like you aren't at fault and get out of my team's thread.

Shiver
12-30-2006, 01:14 AM
This is the second time these Bucs fans have come in and tried to start some E-war. My respect level for Saints and Panthers fans has risen greatly, they have class.

scar988
12-30-2006, 01:16 AM
anyway Shiver back to coachign chatter.

scar I think those coaches is just too varied of a mixture. WCO coaches mixed with vertical passing attack coaches, coaches who teach Gibbs' system with coaches with mauler O-Line backgrounds.
that's the point. we need a little bit of everything. IMO it's a team that is good at everything and great at nothing that wins championships. not a team that is great at one or 2 things and horrible everywhere else. Think we could have a very creative and fresh scheme mixing the WCO with Whisenhunt's offesne and the ZBS with some power blocking (the OL coaches are all holdovers though.)

Shiver
12-30-2006, 01:16 AM

Year Team Position

His style on offense is to run the ball, then throw deep off play-action, sounds like '02 all over again right? He also likes the gadget plays, which shows innovation. Being from the Cowher tree is a bonus. According to Peter King he's the hot commodity, but we have the edge due to the Falcons being his dream job. Which may also mean something to Blank considering the UW fiasco, where Mora's loyalty came under fire. Another qualification for Whisenhunt, in '05 the Steelers were 9th in scoring, even with Ben's regression and injuries they are still ranked 11th, ahead of Greg Knapp's offenses in both years, with less talent.

Time to move on... discuss

nobodyinparticular
12-30-2006, 01:17 AM
A message to all fans. It's really sad that I have to resort to quoting Bambi on this message board, but when there are certain people who act like 5 year olds, I have to find some way to relate the message to them.

So, a reminder:

If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

Don't come into rival teams' team discussion threads and start trolling--trying to stir something up. You'll get suspended for it. Got it? Good. Now let's talk some football.

scar988
12-30-2006, 01:18 AM

that's the point. we need a little bit of everything. IMO it's a team that is good at everything and great at nothing that wins championships. not a team that is great at one or 2 things and horrible everywhere else. Think we could have a very creative and fresh scheme mixing the WCO with Whisenhunt's offesne and the ZBS with some power blocking (the OL coaches are all holdovers though.)

Shiver
12-30-2006, 01:20 AM

Actually I don't concur. One of the things I didn't like about this staff is how much they switched to and from schemes. Knapp's offense changed dramatically each off-season. This year even, they changed several times during the season, at the start of the year we actually ran the Urban Meyer offense. There is just no room for consistency that way, switching things up like that. I think this team needs an singular identity. Vick has made mention several times that he doesn't understand what they are doing.

JMO

nobodyinparticular
12-30-2006, 01:20 AM

Just an outsider's 2-cents on the topic, but mixing a WCO offense with a play-action, deep passing offense is basically what an Air Coryell offense is--the offense that Norv Turner runs, and Mike Martz (with his own "genius" twist on it) among others.

Shiver
12-30-2006, 01:21 AM

Actually I don't concur. One of the things I didn't like about this staff is how much they switched to and from schemes. Knapp's offense changed dramatically each off-season. This year even, they changed several times during the season, at the start of the year we actually ran the Urban Meyer offense. There is just no room for consistency that way, switching things up like that. I think this team needs an singular identity. Vick has made mention several times that he doesn't understand what they are doing. Including at the '05 pro-bowl, and this mid-season to Inside the NFL.

JMO

Bump for new page

scar988
12-30-2006, 01:24 AM

Actually I don't concur. One of the things I didn't like about this staff is how much they switched to and from schemes. Knapp's offense changed dramatically each off-season. This year even, they changed several times during the season, at the start of the year we actually ran the Urban Meyer offense. There is just no room for consistency that way, switching things up like that. I think this team needs an singular identity. Vick has made mention several times that he doesn't understand what they are doing.

JMO
which is why we need to try the mix of everything. I knew some other teams ran it but forgot what it was called.
Just an outsider's 2-cents on the topic, but mixing a WCO offense with a play-action, deep passing offense is basically what an Air Coryell offense is--the offense that Norv Turner runs, and Mike Martz (with his own "genius" twist on it) among others.
Air Coryell. thank you NIP. with these everything would go at the same time and mix everything he ever learned together. I was saying run the same scheme the entire year. just mix everything together and try to get the best results on down and distance situations. the way a real offense woudl do it. it wouldn't hurt. it would be adding the ZBS to Martz' offense.

Shiver
12-30-2006, 01:29 AM
Well it would be interesting, that is one ecclectic ensemble you have there. I can't wait until we find out what's going down.

scar988
12-30-2006, 01:45 AM
Well it would be interesting, that is one ecclectic ensemble you have there. I can't wait until we find out what's going down.you have to admit despite it being eclectic it has it's heart in the right place. and that is with the Falcons.

Shiver
12-30-2006, 01:48 AM
Oh yeah, man, anything that would result in the team living up to talent level, anything would be welcome in my books.

scar988
12-30-2006, 01:50 AM
Oh yeah, man, anything that would result in the team living up to talent level, anything would be welcome in my books.see and while it is a giant mix of different personalities I think it woudl work out in the end. I'm sick of the fired up guy being the head coach. I want a bland head coach and everyone of the position guys to be fired up. give me a 2 guys who are bland at OC and DC too. positional guys are the ones who get to the players the most, especially if they are the knowledgeable guys I gave.

Shiver
12-30-2006, 02:00 AM
According to Adam Schefter, according to a team source, Mora will be gone barring a miraculous playoff berth. Pretty much what I figured. Although the ad in the AJC from the fans calling for change, supposedly, is weighing on Blank's mind.

scar988
12-30-2006, 02:04 AM
According to Adam Schefter, according to a team source, Mora will be gone barring a miraculous playoff berth. Pretty much what I figured. Although the ad in the AJC from the fans calling for change, supposedly, is weighing on Blank's mind.lol that actually made the news?

Shiver
12-30-2006, 02:06 AM
Yeah, I am not surprised actually. Blank is very image conscious anyway, combine the two straight mid-season collapse, the "U-Dub" incident, and the fan uproar.

scar988
12-30-2006, 02:07 AM
Yeah, I am not surprised actually. Blank is very image conscious anyway, combine the two straight mid-season collapse, the "U-Dub" incident, and the fan uproar.yup Mora is gone. thank god too. maybe we should send a letter in with our coachign staff suggestions...

nobodyinparticular
12-30-2006, 02:32 AM
Air Coryell. thank you NIP. with these everything would go at the same time and mix everything he ever learned together. I was saying run the same scheme the entire year. just mix everything together and try to get the best results on down and distance situations. the way a real offense woudl do it. it wouldn't hurt. it would be adding the ZBS to Martz' offense.

:D Glad I could be of service. Truthfully, I feel like that's the first bit of anything that I've really added to the forum in a long time...

Shiver
12-30-2006, 02:48 PM
scar, are you working on the sig I asked for?

scar988
12-30-2006, 04:57 PM
scar, are you working on the sig I asked for?yeah man... give me a bit...

Shiver
12-30-2006, 06:09 PM

No problem, I was just wondering, maybe you forgot. Don't rush it or anything, I am patient.

scar988
12-30-2006, 06:42 PM

No problem, I was just wondering, maybe you forgot. Don't rush it or anything, I am patient.
alright
sig:
http://xs310.xs.to/xs310/06520/ShiverDualThreats.jpg
[img]http://xs310.xs.to/xs310/06520/ShiverDualThreats.jpg[/img]
avy 1:
http://xs310.xs.to/xs310/06520/shiveravy.gif
[img]http://xs310.xs.to/xs310/06520/shiveravy.gif[/img]
avy 2:
http://xs310.xs.to/xs310/06520/shiveravy.jpg
[img]http://xs310.xs.to/xs310/06520/shiveravy.jpg[/img]
avy 3:
http://xs310.xs.to/xs310/06520/shiveravy2.jpg
[img]http://xs310.xs.to/xs310/06520/shiveravy2.jpg[/img]

Shiver
12-30-2006, 06:51 PM
You are the MAN.

AlexDown
12-30-2006, 06:56 PM
Do you Atlanta fans think it is still to early to judge the Abe deal yet? How many games has he played this year?

scar988
12-30-2006, 07:02 PM
Do you Atlanta fans think it is still to early to judge the Abe deal yet? How many games has he played this year?yes it is way too early. but look at what it ended up being:

Atlanta got:
DE John Abraham
#93 pick in 2006 draft (traded with our #47 to the #37 to select Jimmy Williams)
4th roudner in 2007 draft
New York Jets got:
#29 overall 2006 (Nick Mangold)
Denver got:
#15 overall 2006 (traded up to #11 for Jay Cutler)

Atlanta got a franchise RCB to complement Hall, a franchise RE, and a 4th rounder in 2007.
New York Jets got a franchise C
Denver got a franchise QB. I think the trade was fair for all 3 teams.

iloxygenil
12-30-2006, 09:08 PM
A couple things to chew on from my brain:

What about the defensive Coordinator from Virginia Tech coming to Atlanta? Not as a head coach but as a DC. That'd be sick...this guy has a top flight defense EVERY season, and we've drafted some of his best.

Also, what about Aaron Rouse...I REALLY like the way this kid plays Safety. He's SO fast and he's HUGE. I really REALLY would like to see him in Atlanta...possibly as a 2nd or 3rd round pick. I know we have Milloy...but we need depth and we also need someone to learn from Milloy. Rouse is my top choice Strong Safety, but how late will he be available? Can we afford to go Safety with our 1st and 2nd round picks? What if we get an extra pick from Schaub in the first say in the 20s...

1a.) Reggie Nelson
1b.) Moses / Ginn (I know 2 different positions, but I like Ginn as a return guy and his ability at wideout has my interest. I dunno though.
2.) Aaron Rouse.

I think that could be an amazing first couple rounds...then somehow get Joe Staley in there as well...maybe if we get a 2nd and 3rd from Schaub instead of a 1st...

1.) Reggie Nelson
2a.) Joe Staley
2b.) Aaron Rouse
3a.) Baraka Atkins
3b.) Clark Harris / Joe Newton

I'm not solid on my 3rd round guys yet...I'd like to see that kind of a draft...cause in round 4 we can pickup one of the MANY power backs that are coming out this year. or possibly in the 3rd could go with a guy like Leonard if McCrary retires. SO many possibilities, but I really am liking the prospect of Aaron Rouse and Reggie Nelson roaming our 2ndary in a couple years.

diabsoule
12-30-2006, 10:04 PM
So, were you guys as happy as I was that the Bucs signed Chris Simms to an extension? I think that pretty much means that the Saints, Falcons, and Panthers will be punching it out for the top spot while the Bucs will continue to cellar dwell.

Has there been any indication as to who Atlanta is leaning towards for a new coach?

scar988
12-30-2006, 10:12 PM
So, were you guys as happy as I was that the Bucs signed Chris Simms to an extension? I think that pretty much means that the Saints, Falcons, and Panthers will be punching it out for the top spot while the Bucs will continue to cellar dwell.

Has there been any indication as to who Atlanta is leaning towards for a new coach?
yup I am very glad

yeah Ken Whisenhunt is looking like the early front runner for the job because of 3 things:
1) consistently creative and great offense
2) Bill Cowher coaching tree
3) Georgia roots from HS, College (GT) and pro playing experience and this being his dream job.

Shiver
12-30-2006, 10:40 PM

I prayed to God and thanked him for his wonderful blessing. Nah, but seriously, I was pleased. :lol:

diabsoule
12-30-2006, 11:48 PM

yup I am very glad

yeah Ken Whisenhunt is looking like the early front runner for the job because of 3 things:
1) consistently creative and great offense
2) Bill Cowher coaching tree
3) Georgia roots from HS, College (GT) and pro playing experience and this being his dream job.

I like Whisenhunt. If you guys land him I hope he turns out to be a better coach than former Pittsburgh OC Mike Mularkey did.

Who else are you guys looking at for the position?

iloxygenil
12-30-2006, 11:54 PM
Personally I like the Offensive Coordinator from San Diego. He's got a great thing going out there, I'd like to bring him this way and see what he can do.

For Defensive Coordinator, I personally like the guy from Virginia Tech. He's got a nasty defense and always draws up solid plays. The 2nd half of the UGA game was an abberation, and happened because of bad ST play and offense coughing the ball up like crazy. But I like that style.

Shiver
12-31-2006, 12:24 AM
I like Cam Cameron, Ken Whisenhunt, "Chico" Rivera as my top-three.

D-Rod
12-31-2006, 10:05 AM
Any of those guys COULD work out...

But would they really be that different from Mora? Inexperienced at HC, struggling to find his feet...etc...

What I'm really hoping for is something no one has mentioned yet... the unexpected firing of a current NFL HC. Fact is, 20 teams will not have made the playoffs by the end of today, and that means that 20 owners are potentially peeved. Obviously there are some teams where playoffs were never an option, like the Niners, but there is still the potential for one owner to get a happy trigger finger...

It's impossible to guess who, but would it really be surprising if there was some lingering discontent in one team...

Even someone like Romeo Crennel. It's hardly impossible that he be let go, and frankly I'd be interested to see what he did with some real talent. So many coaches have failed at first, but then succeeded with their second franchise. Belichek is the obvious example.

I think that Blank would prefer a more experienced option. We have enough talent that we don't need an amazing genius of a coach, just someone who won't mess it up like Mora.

iloxygenil
12-31-2006, 01:41 PM
Today I am excited to see what happens with the Eagles. Eventhough we are now out of the playoffs (thank you Giants) we are still needing to see a good game from some of our younger players. Philly is a tough place to play, lets see if the team lays down again like they did last year, if they did, I'd say it's a pathetic coaching job and Mora should have been fired mid season. This team has come out flat, in all of our last few games. I'm tired of seeing that. I want some big plays today. We need Interceptions and Fumbles on defense. We can't settle for this bend dont break crap anymore...we have to get stuff going defensively, next season we HAVE to have turnovers, and that means more blitzing, we have to force throws into bad spots...I'm sick of this trashy defense...Defense Wins Championships

Shiver
12-31-2006, 03:57 PM
Any of those guys COULD work out...

But would they really be that different from Mora? Inexperienced at HC, struggling to find his feet...etc....

But, there is a difference, Mora's unit was never out-standing. Cam Cameron has had a consistent top-5 offense, Ken Whisenhunt a consistent top-10 offense, "Chico" Rivera has lead the best defense from the last two seasons. Cameron has coached in College before. Rivera won a Super Bowl, as well as coached under Jim Johnson and Lovie Smith. Whisenhunt has coached a championship team, much more impressive than anything Mora did with Mariucci.

Under Mora, only one time did the 49ers defense finish in the top-10, which was the only time the scoring defense was in the top half of the league! How he was hired over Lovie Smith, who had a impressive resume, is beyond me. Mora was a puzzling decision then, and we've had three years of testimony of that fact. Mora was a mediocre at best coordinator, and with three years of head coaching has been a mediocre at best coach.

Shiver
12-31-2006, 04:35 PM
Speaking of that fact; were going to be behind to a team of 3rd stringers by a touchdown going into the Half. :roll:

scar988
12-31-2006, 05:11 PM
Speaking of that fact; were going to be behind to a team of 3rd stringers by a touchdown going into the Half. :roll:yup. Hartwell is lookign good though. People need to quit bashing the man.

iloxygenil
12-31-2006, 06:28 PM
Hartwell is SLOW =) lol...but s'all good...we are picking #10 overall...I would have never guessed...

iloxygenil
12-31-2006, 06:29 PM
Okay, now with us picking #10, is Reggie worth the 10th pick? or do we trade down? Or, do we move up to go for Calvin, or Adams? Or do we get a first for Schaub and have 2 firsts?

Schaub put on a clinic...his value went nothing but up today if anything

scar988
12-31-2006, 09:06 PM
Okay, now with us picking #10, is Reggie worth the 10th pick? or do we trade down? Or, do we move up to go for Calvin, or Adams? Or do we get a first for Schaub and have 2 firsts?

Schaub put on a clinic...his value went nothing but up today if anything
I say we move up for Calvin or stay for Nelson and trade Schaub for a 1st.

iloxygenil
12-31-2006, 10:19 PM
I really want Calvin...but after watching Undrafted FAs catch these passes from Brett Favre lets me know that our WR coach is the worst in the NFL. So, I question if we need more talent, or if this crop of WRs is ruined because of confidence being shot. All I know is there needs to be changes...when we will know Mora is fired?

Shiver
01-01-2007, 02:35 AM
I don't want a WR, or a S, with our tenth pick. I want a immediate impact player. Whereas Receiver takes 2-3 years to reach potential. Safety is something that can be addressed later on day one, with minimal drop-off. The only Safety I have ever thought worth such a high pick is Sean Taylor, a once in a lifetime physical freak of nature.

If we move up, I would hope it would be for Thomas (dominant LT) building the line play. Our team has spent too much time adding skill position players to 'fix' the issue, while letting the O-Line falter. That is what is killing us. Yes, dropped passes cost us maybe two games this year. If you give Vick better protection that wins us just as many. Besides, Jenkins and White will develop, Finneran will be back. This dropsie streaks happen, they come and go. In Falcons wins, Vick has great games as a passer and runner, if you look at the splits Vick's sacks are 1/2 of what they are in losses. Ron Jaworski said, when Vick has a pocket from which to work from, he won't scramble and he will throw accurately. I am hoping Sam Baker comes out, he could replace and improve upon Wayne Gandy from day one. All we have at Left Tackle is a 36 year old man, and a project backing him up.

D-Rod
01-01-2007, 06:37 AM
yup, it's all about the Oline. Baker would be great, though Houston might be a problem... perhaps staley would last til high 2nd, though I doubt it.

also, McKay is nearly as good at picking OT as he is with WR.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-01-2007, 08:43 AM
If we dont trade up for Calvin, I want Ginn or Landry.

iloxygenil
01-01-2007, 12:35 PM
The thing is, Offensive Line in round 2 is where we'll find our guy. Joe Staley is the LT that I want. He's perfect for this system, except he's physical as well. He's my top choice for offensive linemen. Obviously Joe Thomas isn't going to slip far enough for us to be able to take him, but if he does, then definitely I would take him with our first pick. Then again, I really think the 7th pick from Minnesota for Schaub is going to be a VERY viable trade. I wouldn't doubt it at all if Minnesota comes knocking. Their fans seem to have a lot of faith in T. Jack...but they don't have time to develop a QB, they need someone who can come in and win, their division is up for grabs as long as Chicago has Rex as a QB.

IMO Schaub is gone this year for the #7 overall pick straight up. Then that gives us options to trade up to #1 easily with 2 top 10 picks, or we can sit on it and see if someone slips. Then we have 2 top 10 talents, but can we afford 2 top 10 salaries. I guess that's up for the Front office to decide, but I think we'll be seeing Schaub rockin a Vikes uni next season.

diabsoule
01-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Mora is Fired.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2716540

iloxygenil
01-01-2007, 01:12 PM
Woohoo!

iloxygenil
01-01-2007, 02:20 PM
There is no other option for Atlanta.

Calvin Johnson HAS to be acquired. HAS to happen, he's too good, he knows how to go up and fight for a ball, doesn't wait for it He is a baller straight up. I want him more than anyone else. I love Reggie Nelson but man, no way does it matter. Calvin in the Answer

iloxygenil
01-01-2007, 02:35 PM
New Mock for ATL.

1.) Calvin Johnson
2.) Eric Weddle
3.) who cares? =) lol

scar988
01-01-2007, 03:18 PM
I don't want a WR, or a S, with our tenth pick. I want a immediate impact player. Whereas Receiver takes 2-3 years to reach potential. Safety is something that can be addressed later on day one, with minimal drop-off. The only Safety I have ever thought worth such a high pick is Sean Taylor, a once in a lifetime physical freak of nature.

If we move up, I would hope it would be for Thomas (dominant LT) building the line play. Our team has spent too much time adding skill position players to 'fix' the issue, while letting the O-Line falter. That is what is killing us. Yes, dropped passes cost us maybe two games this year. If you give Vick better protection that wins us just as many. Besides, Jenkins and White will develop, Finneran will be back. This dropsie streaks happen, they come and go. In Falcons wins, Vick has great games as a passer and runner, if you look at the splits Vick's sacks are 1/2 of what they are in losses. Ron Jaworski said, when Vick has a pocket from which to work from, he won't scramble and he will throw accurately. I am hoping Sam Baker comes out, he could replace and improve upon Wayne Gandy from day one. All we have at Left Tackle is a 36 year old man, and a project backing him up.IMO with our scheme you don't need that Elite OT. we have a good right side for pass blocking we just need a good LT for us. IMO the only one that truly fits in the first is Thomas. IMO though we should go with Joe Staley in the 2nd round and get that skill player in the first. then move Omiyale to LG and our Pass blocking will improve 10 fold. Sam Baker isn't quick enough from what I have seen and IMO Joe Staley is the 2nd best pass blocking OT in the draft. He has the quickness and just needs to work on his run blocking. (heh look at the scheme)
we need to spend out #10 overall pick on a guy who is truly worth it:
1) WR Calvin Johnson
2) RB Adrian Peterson
3) DE Gaines Adams
4) S Reggie Nelson
5) S LaRon Landry
6) RB Marshawn Lynch
any one of these 6 guys would make that difference from a good team to an Elite team IMO and would be worth taking at #10. IMO we have no need to use a first round pick on an OL when the OL in this draft fit our schemes very well. we just need to use a first day pick. not do the whole bargain basement and 5th or later picks.

scar988
01-01-2007, 03:22 PM
Il I have to agree. and I woudl even go as far and say (trade Schaub for #7. then trade 7 and 10 for 2 and 34:
2 ovr) WR Calvin Johnson
34 ovr) S Eric Weddle
42 ovr) OT Ryan Harris or Joe Staley
74 ovr) RB Gary Russell
97 ovr) DE Mkristo Bruce
(for Shaffar's contract and games started)

iloxygenil
01-01-2007, 06:36 PM
How is this place so quiet after our HC was officially fired? It's crazy! I know it's all speculation now, but it's fun to speculate about Calvin Johnson being on offense with Vick and Norwood and having a guy like Cam Cameron finding a way to share the ball

Shiver
01-01-2007, 06:53 PM
IMO with our scheme you don't need that Elite OT.

Technically we don't have a 'scheme' in place. That is up in the air until we find out what's going on with the new coach's scheme.

Q: Is there a chance that the assistant coaches will be retained?

Rich McKay: I think there is a chance that some will be retained. They were last time. I think that is always a prerogative of a new coach. That is the way it should be. It doesn't mean that we wouldn't recommend certain coaches and push and so on and so forth. But in the end, it's the head coach's decision. It was Jim's decision when he came in and it would be the new head coach's decision when he comes in. By the same token, there may be some coaches in the next couple of weeks that have opportunities elsewhere and that would go elsewhere. But, I would envision some of the coaches being retained. It typically happens, not a lot, but some. I hope that again, this is one of those decisions that when you change coaches there is a lot of collateral consequences. One of them is the assistant coaches and the families and so on and so forth. It's a very tough decision. I would hope that some of them would have the opportunity to be retained, but we'll wait and see.

RaiderNation
01-01-2007, 06:56 PM
would u gusy trade schaub for randy moss and a 4th rounder?

Shiver
01-01-2007, 06:56 PM
How is this place so quiet after our HC was officially fired? It's crazy! I know it's all speculation now, but it's fun to speculate about Calvin Johnson being on offense with Vick and Norwood and having a guy like Cam Cameron finding a way to share the ball

Because everyone knew Mora was a goner. He was a goner when he talked up "U-Dub," he was gone when they didn't make the playoffs after a second consecutive collapse.

As for Calvin Johnson, I don't think it's feasible. To trade up that high to get him would require too steep of a price, this team has more needs than just Receiver, although that is a big one. If we add a receiver, it will be Dwayne Jarrett, who isn't too shabby either. Are you watching the Rose Bowl right now? :lol: In my opinion though, I wouldn't risk becoming the next Detroit Lions. If the Falcons draft a Receiver, that would be four 1st round picks used on that position in five seasons.

would u gusy trade schaub for randy moss and a 4th rounder?

Randy Moss isn't worth Schaub straight up. At this point in his career, with how bad he's been, what is his value? I doubt he'd even garner a 3rd round pick.

iloxygenil
01-01-2007, 08:47 PM
I'm not sure about the Moss thing. He's still one of the best WRs in the game, but he really isn't worth as much anymore, they only gave up a first rounder to get him, and he's worth far less now than he was then. I'd say 3rd or 4th rounder at most for him, might require Moss and your 2nd round pick. I'm not so sure our Front Office will go for Moss anyway. As far as the price for Calvin, there isn't a price too steep imo...Schaub + #10 for #2 or #1 imo.