Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8

D-Rod
01-08-2007, 04:09 PM
My ATL Draft
*trade ATL round 2 & round 4 to Detroit Lions for their round 2 pick*

round 1:LaRon landry
round 2:Lamar Woodley
round 3:John Staley

I can see the idea, and yes, a pass-rushing DE is a great fit for us in the 2nd round. BUT there's no need to waste a pick to trade up, there are an abundance of good DE's in this draft, and - if that is the order we do it - we can sit pretty at #42 and see who drops. Charles Johnson is one possibility. There are others.

On another note, this rush of great Juniors declaring is a GODSEND.

We just went from being just about outside the elite talent at #10, to being at the perfect position to get elite talent but without the crazy cost (there is a huge drop off in rookie contracts at #8).

As an exercise, look at the top 10 guys in this draft. Maybe top 12. Think about the guys who might be sitting there at #10. Salivating.

SimonRath
01-08-2007, 04:09 PM
My ATL Draft

D-Rod
01-08-2007, 04:13 PM
And yes, Singletary OR Ryan would be amazing. However, I'm not sure that we could poach Singletary without compensation. He is Assistant HC at SanFran, and I'm not sure whether being made DC (& Asst HC) counts as a promotion as required for us to poach him. Illumination would be appreciated.

Interestingly, Petrino said that he wanted a mix of pro/college experience for his coordinators. Jackson has both. I think we could get either for DC.

I hope he retains Musgrave as QB coach. I suspect that he may bring in his brother, Pete, as WR coach (basically working under Jackson).

Shiver
01-08-2007, 04:14 PM
News from AJC on Rich McKay;

Warrick Dunn to stay with the team, but at a reduced role.
The Falcons are in no hurry to part with Schaub, but they may not have that choice since the interest will be hot.
Expect a lot more traditional man blocking and protection schemes.

iloxygenil
01-08-2007, 04:23 PM
I am excited to see who we lock in at DC. We're going to need a solid pickup there to make this work. I don't want to get into a Colts situation where its all offense and no defense.

SimonRath
01-08-2007, 04:44 PM
I am excited to see who we lock in at DC. We're going to need a solid pickup there to make this work. I don't want to get into a Colts situation where its all offense and no defense.

exactly.. thats my only worry for getting an offense wizz

Draft King
01-08-2007, 05:23 PM
Looks like we lost Joe DeCamillis (sp?) to the Jaguars.

D-Rod
01-08-2007, 05:46 PM
News from AJC on Rich McKay;

Warrick Dunn to stay with the team, but at a reduced role.
The Falcons are in no hurry to part with Schaub, but they may not have that choice since the interest will be hot.
Expect a lot more traditional man blocking and protection schemes.

Hallelujah!!!

If they want to change that, it means investment, and now, in both FA and the draft.

And if we are looking at more traditional guys, we also have a larger pool of talent to look at. Excitement grows by the day. Is it really two months til FA...?

DraftMichaelHuff
01-08-2007, 05:56 PM
Wow, just wow! the bengals WR coach on our team, thats pretty sweet! I think he may push for the keeping of Lelie due to his sucess at developing 3 and 4 WR's in cinci.

The coaching aquisitions continue to get better HOWEVER it all hinges on a guy like Rob Ryan, he would not be moving laterally as he is not (i may be wrong here) the assisnant HC at the raiders just DC. I really hope Blank greatly increases his salary, allows him to select the defensive coaching assistants, makes him aware of the increase in talent and makes him assistant HC all in an effort to pull off the 3rd and most important peice to the coaching puzzle.

DraftMichaelHuff
01-08-2007, 06:01 PM
My ATL Draft

I dont know why you would want a SS in Laron Landry over a FS like Reggie Nelson who can do everything Landry can plus cover like corner, especially when there is great SS depth later in the draft with a pure SSs like Aaron Rouse having a dissapointing year and looking like he will be available in the 3rd .

I Also cant understand giving up a 4th for a DE when this draft is stacked with DE's who grade out in the low 1st early 2nd range, one will slip

Also can someone compare Ryan Harris to Joe Staley for me, what exactly does Staley outperform him in?
Ps i like Staley more but he might be gone by pick 42

Shiver
01-08-2007, 06:21 PM
"He'll push Michael Vick to higher levels," owner Arthur Blank said.

"Michael Vick is our starting quarterback today," coach Bobby Petrino said. "There's no question about that."

On 680, Rich killed Mort, by saying he should check his facts.

These ESPN rumour mongerers need to cool it. Especially after a few recent gaffes by the 'crew' of Pasquarelli and Mortensen. If the NFL was like they predicted; Culpepper would be reunited under Moss in Oakland. Parcells wouldn't have come down on Mort's report of his imminent retirement. Nick Saban would still be in Miami.

DraftMichaelHuff
01-08-2007, 06:27 PM
yeah the espn guys frustrate the hell out of me, it seems they make 100 wrong assumptions then recieve the "hot scoop" minutes before it is actually made public, then in the articles you read this such as "as predicted by espn" "as espn reported" "as reported by john clayton" etc

Also where is the best place to find pictures of colledge and nfl players for use in sigs n stuff like that? thanks in advance

ps sign rob ryan! lol

Shiver
01-08-2007, 06:31 PM
Quotes from the presser;

Q: How do you draw on your experience with mobile left handed quarterbacks?
Petrino: My belief in coaching quarterbacks is that you do what they do best. We are going to have a playbook. It is going to be fairly big. We are going to install the entire playbook. I would like to install it three times because I think that is how you learn something. Between our OTA's, mini-camp days and our preseason camp we need to get the installation done three times. Then what you do is take out the parts that don't fit with what your quarterback does. The playbook really becomes the quarterback's. I would like to experience and see everything that Michael can do and find out what works best for him. I do believe part of your job is calling plays in the game where the quarterback can have success - where he can feel comfortable and confident. We have all seen when a quarterback is confident and moving the team how explosive he can be.

Q: How do you fix an offense that was ranked first in rushing and last in passing?
Petrino: We definitely need to work on being balanced. There is no question about that. I would truly like to be 50-50, run-pass on first and ten. I think that is important in any league that you are in. Simply because you like to mix it up and be able to keep the defense off balance. You want the defense to wonder what is going on. I am looking forward to developing the passing game here. I think I saw that stat this morning on what we were in the passing game. I certainly think we can work at averaging that out. How long a period that might take; I don't know. I think when we get out on the practice field and get working on it. One thing we have been able to do as a coaching staff is get things turned around in a short period of time.

Q: Is Michael Vick your quarterback to start the season?
Petrino: Michael Vick is our starting quarterback today. There is no question about that. This is my first day on the job. I am really looking forward to getting to know him, watching him, developing and working at it. We haven't been able to get on the field yet. We haven't been able to watch film yet. I know he is a great quarterback and is very competitive. I have not talked to him yet. Hopefully I can get a free minute. I haven't had a lot of free minutes today. I am looking forward to a couple of free minutes in my office to make some phone calls. He will certainly be one of the first phone calls I make.

He's already has a one year plan with Vick, then he'll demand he be cut or traded. He has it all planned out. Oh wait....

Great job, ESPN. :roll:

Shiver
01-08-2007, 06:45 PM
According to PFW; the Falcons had a fire sale on the entire Mora coaching staff.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Features/NFL+Features/2006/coachmoves.htm

Assistant coaches who’ve departed: offensive coordinator Greg Knapp, defensive coordinator Ed Donatell, special-teams coordinator Joe DeCamillis, strength and conditioning coach Sal Alosi, TE coach Clancy Barone, LB coach Chris Beake, OL coach Tom Cable, offensive assistant Chris Dalman, consultant Alex Gibbs, assistant special-teams coach Steve Hoffman, DL coach Bill Johnson, assistant strength and conditioning coach Billy Johnson, defensive assistant Joe Lombardi, DB coach Brett Maxie, QB coach Bill Musgrave, offensive assistant Robert Prince, WR coach George Stewart, senior defensive assistant/secondary Emmitt Thomas, RB coach Ollie Wilson (all were released from their contracts when Jim Mora was fired).

Draft King
01-08-2007, 06:59 PM
According to PFW; the Falcons had a fire sale on the entire Mora coaching staff.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Features/NFL+Features/2006/coachmoves.htm

Assistant coaches who’ve departed: offensive coordinator Greg Knapp, defensive coordinator Ed Donatell, special-teams coordinator Joe DeCamillis, strength and conditioning coach Sal Alosi, TE coach Clancy Barone, LB coach Chris Beake, OL coach Tom Cable, offensive assistant Chris Dalman, consultant Alex Gibbs, assistant special-teams coach Steve Hoffman, DL coach Bill Johnson, assistant strength and conditioning coach Billy Johnson, defensive assistant Joe Lombardi, DB coach Brett Maxie, QB coach Bill Musgrave, offensive assistant Robert Prince, WR coach George Stewart, senior defensive assistant/secondary Emmitt Thomas, RB coach Ollie Wilson (all were released from their contracts when Jim Mora was fired).

Out of those guys I am only going to miss Musgrave and DeCamillis.

Shiver
01-08-2007, 11:18 PM
I wonder when the rest of the coaching staff is assembled?

Shiver
01-08-2007, 11:41 PM
Falcons | Team requests permission to talk with Zimmer
Mon, 8 Jan 2007 20:46:26 -0800

Clarence E. Hill Jr., of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, reports the Atlanta Falcons have requested permission to speak with Dallas Cowboys defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer, according to two sources. The Falcons are looking for Zimmer to fill their defensive coordinator position.

Zimmer hasn't been the best 3-4 coordinator, but that's been forced upon him. When he ran the 4-3, his defense was great according to statistics, back in '02/'03. It's the antithesis of Donatell's 'cheap yards for free' defense.

D-Rod
01-09-2007, 06:21 AM
really, REALLY unconvinced by Zimmer. A defense with the talent of Dallas should not have fallen apart like it has this season, whether in a 3-4 or 4-3. He has done a terrible job with that secondary, and can hardly blame that on the different scheme.

If Zimmer gets the job, it's because he's an old buddy of Petrino. Can't complain too much, because that's why we got Jackson, but still, there are MUCH better candidates out there.

----

On a different note, an idea for the O-line.

Mckay has made it clear that Petrino will run something of a mix-and-match between zone blocking and traditional blocking. Problem is, he's pretty much tied to ZBS for the right side of our line for at least the next couple of years.

So here's an idea. Why not bring in, through FA and the draft, some bigger guys for the left side (as everyone is crying out for), and then run a hybrid scheme.

Obviously it wouldn't be this simple, i'm keeping it short, but basically running zone blocking run plays mostly to the right side, and slamming it into the left side on power runs when appropriate. and don't say that would become predictable, because it's not as if a team should predict whether we're going to run left or right in any given situation.

it would give us a great deal of flexibility in our run game, thereby adding to a strength, while also enabling us to improve pass protection.

scar988
01-09-2007, 07:04 AM
we could actually cut McClure even though he signed a 5 year contract because it was only worth 10M and 6M was in the last 2 years. watching louisville, it's obvious that his guards and center are the big core for the run blocking but are good against DT's in pass pro because of their size and the tackles are fleet footed guys who would normally fit a ZBS. IMO Forney fits the guard mold and Wiener fits the tackle. McCLure is out of place and we should use our 2nd rounder on Joe Staley because he fits the OT mold and then move Omiyale to LG and draft a guy in the 3rd like Kyle Young to give us a bigger core and a quicker outside.

iloxygenil
01-09-2007, 11:23 AM
Yeah we could easily get out OL fixed pretty quick. I think Clabo is big enough to play Guard in Petrino's scheme. He's like 315 and he pass blocked great for most of his time in the games...he wasn't getting blown away. I think he could give us some high quality depth and possibly even start if we got in a pinch and couldn't get a big FA guy in here. We need some fattys and we'll get them...but I really do like Joe Staley in the draft, he keeps coming back to the top for me.

CJ is the one that is bugging me though, we can't let him go to Tampa...even if it means giving them Matt Schaub and having to play him twice a year, we can't afford to have him on their sidelines. IMO we could REALLY use him here in the ATL. Oh, and also, the whole thing with our team, as far as I can tell, we don't have 1 GLARING need that MUST be addressed aside from Safety, and quality Safetys are always available in later rounds because that position generally slips in the draft. I really don't know where to go...

Shiver
01-09-2007, 12:45 PM
Michael Bush declared, he's the guy I want in the 2nd round.

Shiver
01-09-2007, 12:46 PM
From the Cowboys thread;

Mike Zimmer, in a 4-3 scheme, what's your opinion? He's being talked to by Petrino in Atlanta.

He is a master in the 4-3. He lead us to the number one defense with far less talent then we have now. He can do wonders...you actually have a very similar defense to what we had in 04.

Shiver
01-09-2007, 12:58 PM
Here is two posts on AFMB, about radio interviews;

McKay gave interviews on 11Alive & 790AM the past couple of days. Here are my observations from those interviews:

1. He said that the O-line (cut blocking scheme) facilitates running the ball better, but leaves the QB unprotected. Since he has acknowledged the need to protect the QB better expect a few O-line help in the off-season.

2. He felt some of his signings of the past year were not that good and is going to work on it. I got a sense he talks about both free agent signing (Hartwell, Abe) and drafts (WRs).

3. He said Falcons cannot go on building the team through free agency due to salary cap constraints - he said we should groom the draftees instead of free agent quick fixes. I believe it may be one of the reasons for hiring Bobby who can teach the college players and groom them to be NFL stars.

4. He said a top-10 pick would cost money and that the team has more holes than free agency & drafts can fill. It game me a sense that there might be a possibility of trading down to fill the holes.

5. He said Norwood is a gem and would be more involved next season.

Bill Devaney--Sirius Interview

Feels they absolutely got the right coach in Petrino. First conversation about him was with Phil Simms prior to Steeler game. Simms told him that L'ville practices were like NFL practices. Never thought about it then since our record was good back then.

Feels that they could get a lot for Schaub, but the Falcon's are also very high on Schaub and feel he could win games if Vick goes down.

Said with the 10th pick in the draft they could do alot with that pick but he seemed to be leaning toward trading down to pick up additional picks. Says they (Mckay and Him) missed on a couple of picks and need to address those situations. didn't get specifics but this question was answered not long after talking about the woes in our receiving corp. He did say that the last 4 games our receivers did step up and play well.

Spent Yesterday with Petrino working on a list for assistant coaches.

It sounds like a trade down is much more likely than a trade up.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-09-2007, 01:05 PM
Ugh, it appears we have no shot at getting any new WR.

SimonRath
01-09-2007, 01:22 PM
Michael Bush declared, he's the guy I want in the 2nd round.

that would be nice.. i would like to get another 1st or 2nd so we can get a good DE or OT if we get Bush in the 2nd round

SimonRath
01-09-2007, 01:25 PM
we need to get Jarvis Moss

iloxygenil
01-09-2007, 01:28 PM
How not? Ginn would be available even if we trade down to the bottom of the first round...what about with the Pats? They have 2 first rounders...could we snag both of those for our #10? I need to look at the chart, but their picks aren't finalized, but right now they are 22 and 28 I think...

Which would leave us 140 points off...I doubt the Pats give that much up...so it would cost us a 4th rounder as well...atleast. Which I think is one of the best rounds in the draft =/ I dunno what may happen...

#10 = 1300

#22 = 780
#60 = 300
#92 = 132
#124 = 48
#156 = 29
Total Value: 1289

would leave us 11 points behind in value...

But I doubt the pats would give up that much *shrug*

bearsfan_51
01-09-2007, 01:29 PM
Why would the Pats trade up? That's completely against their philosophy.

iloxygenil
01-09-2007, 01:44 PM
Why would the Pats trade up? That's completely against their philosophy.
You're right, I've never seen them do it, but with the wealth of talent that there is out there this year as far as elite prospects go, isn't as long as normal, maybe they fall in love with a guy and go for him. I was just thinking them cause I don't think anyone else has 2 first rounders...but there are tons of possibilities...I also don't know about Schaub...he could get us another first...but we couldn't sign 3 first rounders...not even 30 31 and 32 I don't think...I'm not sure...I think Dunn is going to have to re-structure and I don't think PK will be back...

Shiver
01-09-2007, 02:07 PM
Two new developments;

http://www.ajc.com/falcons/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/01/09/0110falconspetrinovick.html

The Falcons also are near finalizing a deal with Dallas Cowboys defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer to replace Ed Donatell as the defensive coordinator, the team official said.

Whereas the brunt of the assistant coaching staff that was here under recently fired coach Jim Mora had been or will be released, quarterback coach Bill Musgrave, who joined the Falcons' last season, and running backs coach Ollie Wilson, who has been with Atlanta since 2001, will be retained, the team official confirmed.

So the coaching staff looks like this;

HC - Bobby Petrino
OC - Hue Jackson
DC - Mike Zimmer
QBC - Bill Musgrave
RBC - Ollie Wilson

scar988
01-09-2007, 02:20 PM
I see nothing but good things from this new coaching staff. unlike the Mora hire where I was never truly convinced, this hire is great and I feel he just keeps getting better and better (Zimmer had the #1 D in Dallas one year and they didn't have near the amount of talent on D we have.) expect Zimmer to run a 2 deep S, man corner alignment. meaning we will likely look for 2 FS types who can hit instead of just one FS type. I could easily see us going Weddle and Nelson if we get Zimmer.

Shiver
01-09-2007, 02:22 PM
Chris Henry may be cut, any possibility he follows Hue? He would be a massive upgrade over Ashley Lelie.

scar988
01-09-2007, 02:24 PM
Chris Henry may be cut, any possibility he follows Hue?I doubt we take a chance on a bad character like him.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-09-2007, 03:38 PM
^ As do I. But I'd LOVE to have him here.

bigbluedefense
01-09-2007, 03:59 PM
Say hello to Mike Zimmer, your new DC.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2725646

Shiver
01-09-2007, 04:28 PM
Yep. Our core coaching staff has been assembled;

HC - Petrino
OC - Jackson
DC - Zimmer

iloxygenil
01-09-2007, 04:29 PM
I am interested to see how it turns out...I was not excited about him coming here at all as a DC. But...he was stuck in a 3-4 so *shrug* I dunno...we'll see

iloxygenil
01-09-2007, 04:59 PM
I'm very intrigued about this trade down thing. We're lacking in a lot of positions depth wise...and have no pressing needs (aside from Safety and OL) but both of those require a first round pick to really come up with solid talent. I am interested to see how it goes down in the draft, we could end up with a TON of draft picks from the Schaub thing as well as trading down =/

Shiver
01-09-2007, 05:59 PM
A trade down is the only way I could stomach taking a Safety in round one. To me, like Buffalo and Oakland this year, it is stupid to take a Safety in the top-half of the draft unless he is Sean Taylor at 6'2" 230 and runs like a gazelle. Ed Reed was a late first guy, Troy Polamalu was below the middle, Brian Dawkins was a 2nd round pick.

SimonRath
01-09-2007, 06:05 PM
what you guys think about Michael griffin from texas??

D-Rod
01-09-2007, 07:05 PM

i think he'd be a great fit, but not at #10. if we drop down to #20ish, then perhaps (after Nelson and Landry). He'd be magical at #42, but that's highly unlikely (though not impossible; safeties can often drop, though I doubt Griffin does...).

Trading down could be great. Imagine this scenario:

Trade Schaub for late 1st (optimistic, i know).
Trade down to mid-late 1st for additional second rounder.
Trade DeMo for 3rd rounder (sad, but likely - might even get a 2nd if we're uberlucky).

That's two 1st rounders, two 2nd rounders, two 3rd rounders and two 4th rounders, in a draft where people are talking about first-round talent falling to the early 3rd. Hell yeah.

Oh, and I'm loving our coaching setup.

Latest addition is at WR coach, apparently, Petrino's brother. He, along with Jackson, will turn Roddy and Jenks back on track...

Gridiron
01-09-2007, 07:23 PM
Any chance you guys make the switch to 3-4?

SimonRath
01-09-2007, 07:27 PM

i think he'd be a great fit, but not at #10. if we drop down to #20ish, then perhaps (after Nelson and Landry). He'd be magical at #42, but that's highly unlikely (though not impossible; safeties can often drop, though I doubt Griffin does...).

Trade DeMo for 3rd rounder (sad, but likely - might even get a 2nd if we're uberlucky).

That's two 1st rounders, two 2nd rounders, two 3rd rounders and two 4th rounders, in a draft where people are talking about first-round talent falling to the early 3rd. Hell yeah.

Latest addition is at WR coach, apparently, Petrino's brother. He, along with Jackson, will turn Roddy and Jenks back on track...

Wow what a happy dream that would be

scar988
01-09-2007, 08:06 PM
Any chance you guys make the switch to 3-4?no, we don't have the personnel to run it effectively and Zimmer is a 4-3 guy

iloxygenil
01-09-2007, 09:35 PM

I refuse to give up Demorrio. He was AMAZING when he was on the field, he didn't do anything wrong this season, and when he was starting...he was leading this team in tackles. I refuse to agree with letting him go for a 3rd rounder. He's RFA and I think he'll get atleast 2nd highest tender. You can't give up that much speed at linebacker.

If you wanna dream...dream big...

ATL trades down #10 + 3rd rounder for #22 and #28 from Patriots
ATL trades Matt Schaub to Jax for #17 overall.

Atlanta has then 3 first round picks, their normal 2nd round pick but have no 3rd, but will get a 3rd round comp pick from Shaffer's big contract.

Or ATL trades down #10 for #22 + 2nd round pick + 3rd round pick
ATL trades Schaub or #17 overall.

leaving ATL with #17 + #22 + 2 2nds 2 3rds and 2 4ths PLUS we keep Demorrio.

DraftMichaelHuff
01-10-2007, 04:19 AM
here's my latest dream/ attempt

Jackson brings with him his latest project WR Chris Henry to the falcons who is on his best behaviour( i can dream cant i?)

we trade Matt Shaub n a 4th for a 2nd and 3rd round pick
1st -Reggie Nelson
2nd Joe Staley
2nd b) Clarles Johnson
3rd Ben Grubbs
3rd b) Aaron Rouse
4th) Tyrone Moss RB

OR
same trade
1st -Jamaal Anderson
2nd Joe Staley
2nd Brendan Merriweather
3rd Ben Grubs
3rd B Aaron Rouse
4th Tyrone Moss

Also would RB Michael Turner (chargers) 5"10 237 fit our scheme now?
Kind of pointless to me though cause when Moss was at his best for Miami that is who he reminded me of 5"9 230

D-Rod
01-10-2007, 06:39 AM
News on the coaching front, perhaps.

"Five of the coaches at U of L under Petrino -- Paul Petrino, Bobby's brother; Tom McMahon; Mike Summers; Joe Whitt; and Kevin Wolthausen -- have left the team and are expected to be hired as part of Petrino's Atlanta Falcons staff."

PP will be our WR guy (irony, eh?). McMahon was LB and ST, dunno which he will focus on for the Falcons. Summers is O-line - and a good'un - let's bring in that beef. Wolthausen is D-line, and produced last year's leading sacker, plus Okoye. Whitt is DB, and apparently a rising star.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070110/SPORTS02/701100558/1028

Paul petrino appears to be confirmed, not sure about others... we shall see.

So, at a guess:

HC: B. Petrino
OC: Jackson
DC: Zimmer
QB: Musgrave
RB: Wilson
WR: P.Petrino
TE: ??
OL: Summers
DL: Wolthausen
LB: McMahon?
DB: Whitt
ST: McMahon?

Looks like a great combo to me.

NFL experienced and proven coordinators, together with position coaches who are young, hungry and driven to succeed, plus some continuity for Vick and Norwood etc.

Also, Whitt and Zimmer both have a reputation for really getting in the face of their charges... could be good for Hall and co! No cuddles in sight...

Shiver
01-10-2007, 07:49 AM
I love our staff. I am glad they kept Musgrave for Vick. Other than that; the whole staff needed revision.

iloxygenil
01-10-2007, 09:05 AM
Yeah the staff is looking great now that it's been put together. Lets just hope it all plays out how we hope.

Now we need to get inside that head and figure out which way he's going to draft

scar988
01-10-2007, 03:59 PM
I love our staff. I am glad they kept Musgrave for Vick. Other than that; the whole staff needed revision.I don't know about that. the DL crew was pretty good IMO in how they got the UDFA's to get sacks and play above their potential.

D-Rod
01-10-2007, 05:51 PM
true, there was nothing wrong with bill johnson. but the new guy managed to produce the NCAA sack leader from last year, and Okoye. Reunited perhaps?

By the way, looking at the top 10, I think that we should all be hoping that Jarrett has a monster combine, pushing him into the top 10 - he's on the cusp, and probably would be if there were more teams needing a WR. He would push down one of the elite defensive players to us.

I'm sure other, unexpected, top-10 candidates will emerge before draft time.

iloxygenil
01-10-2007, 05:55 PM
Why does that matter? If we plan on trading down top 10 doesn't really change what we get. I dunno, we'll see what happens, but I think Jarrett is already a solid potential top 10 guy, even as high as 7 to Minnesota. He doesn't have game breaking speed, but he has great ability to separate and go up for the tough catch.

SimonRath
01-10-2007, 05:58 PM
true, there was nothing wrong with bill johnson. but the new guy managed to produce the NCAA sack leader from last year, and Okoye. Reunited perhaps?

By the way, looking at the top 10, I think that we should all be hoping that Jarrett has a monster combine, pushing him into the top 10 - he's on the cusp, and probably would be if there were more teams needing a WR. He would push down one of the elite defensive players to us.

I'm sure other, unexpected, top-10 candidates will emerge before draft time.

I would love to get Okoye, but only problem is we dont really need a DT.. we could get one but not as high as Okoye will go

Shiver
01-10-2007, 06:21 PM
If we stay at ten, I hope for BPA at a pivotal position. Basically, I just don't want a top-10 pick safety. It goes against everything I believe in. The only one that was worth it in my opinion is Sean Taylor. My personal pick would be Levi Brown to play Left Tackle from the get go. According to the consensus of NFL teams, at this point, he is a top-5 senior.

SimonRath
01-10-2007, 06:28 PM
The Falcons need to draft David Bell

scar988
01-10-2007, 08:01 PM
If we stay at ten, I hope for BPA at a pivotal position. Basically, I just don't want a top-10 pick safety. It goes against everything I believe in. The only one that was worth it in my opinion is Sean Taylor. My personal pick would be Levi Brown to play Left Tackle from the get go. According to the consensus of NFL teams, at this point, he is a top-5 senior.the more I read about Weddle the more I think he is our 2nd rounder. I'm starting to think we have a draft situation like this:
**Trade Schaub to Detroit for their 2nd and 3rd rounders)
1st round (10 overall) - DE Jamaal Anderson (Peppers Clone woudl be beastly across from Abraham)
2nd round (34 overall) - FS Eric Weddle (high character, covers like a CB, and hits like a SS, reminds me of Ed Reed more than the other guys in this draft do)
2nd round (42 overall) - OT Joe Staley
3rd round (74 overall) - OG Ben Grubbs
4th round (106 overall) - WR Dallas Baker
4th round (117 overall) - TE Joe Newton
5th round (138 overall) - CB Travarious Bain
6th round (170 overall) - OT Herbert Taylor

ATLDirtyBirds
01-10-2007, 08:09 PM
Right now my bet is on Oyoke as our pick. And I sure as hell wouldnt mind it.

iloxygenil
01-10-2007, 08:21 PM
If we stay at ten, I hope for BPA at a pivotal position. Basically, I just don't want a top-10 pick safety. It goes against everything I believe in. The only one that was worth it in my opinion is Sean Taylor. My personal pick would be Levi Brown to play Left Tackle from the get go. According to the consensus of NFL teams, at this point, he is a top-5 senior.the more I read about Weddle the more I think he is our 2nd rounder. I'm starting to think we have a draft situation like this:
1st round (10 overall) - DE Jamaal Anderson (Peppers Clone woudl be beastly across from Abraham)
2nd round (34 overall) - FS Eric Weddle (high character, covers like a CB, and hits like a SS, reminds me of Ed Reed more than the other guys in this draft do)
I absolutely LOVE the Weddle and Anderson picks...Staley is fine Grubbs is great...but replace Baker with Gonzo or what's his name that broke Jerry's records...other than that, looks like a great draft to me, but I don't see us taking 2 tackles...no point when we have 1 tackle locked up long term already.

Gonzo from OSU is quickly becoming one of my favorites, and so is Darrelle Revis because of his return abilities. People say that Gonzo is faster than Ginn...and he looks like he could be in the short yardage, but long yardage I don't see that being true. I'm really just excited to see what happens in this draft, so many great potential players and I am starting to like them more and more. But Weddle is a guy I was talking about long before the season started, and long before he was considered a round 1 / 2 pick. He'd prolly end up being my favorite, but Nelson is just such a ball hawk. I'm really not sure, it's just going to depend which way we go in the first what happens throughout.

d34ng3l021
01-10-2007, 08:48 PM

brb, i gotta change my pants.

Shiver
01-11-2007, 01:39 AM
Our coaching staff has been fleshed out!

New Falcons coach Bobby Petrino moved closer to completing his coaching staff by naming eight assistants, three being holdovers from the previous staff.

Former Cincinnati wide receivers coach Hue Jackson (offensive coordinator) signed his contract Wednesday while former Dallas Cowboys defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer is expected to finalize his deal Thursday to replace Ed Donatell as Atlanta’s new offensive coordinator.

Petrino has decided to retain Bill Musgrave (quarterbacks coach), Ollie Wilson (running backs coach) and Emmitt Thomas (secondary coach), who were hired by former coach Jim Mora.

The retention of all three coaches comes as no surprise, since all have had success in the NFL and Musgrave garnered a tremendous amount of respect from quarterbacks Michael Vick and Matt Schaub last season.

Three of Petrino’s assistants from the University of Louisville have been hired — Mike Summers (offensive line), Joe Whitt Jr. (assistant defensive backs) and Kevin Wolthausen (defensive line).

Unless one of the Falcons’ current offensive line coaches is retained, it seems as if a shift in blocking philosophy, from the old zone-blocking scheme to a more traditional blocking scheme could take place right away.

Petrino’s brother, Paul, who was with Bobby Petrino at Louisville, is close to finalizing a contract to replace George Stewart as wide receivers coach.

Our coaching staff;

HC - Bobby Petrino
OC - Hue Jackson
DC - Mike Zimmer
QBC - Bill Musgrave
RBC - Ollie Wilson
OLC - Mike Summers
DLC - Kevin Wolthausen
DBC - Emmitt Thomas
WRC - Paul Petrino

SimonRath
01-11-2007, 06:07 AM

I'd kind of leaning toward getting David Ball instead of Dallas Baker in the 4th round

iloxygenil
01-11-2007, 09:15 AM
The more I find out about this Anderson kid the more I want him in a Falcons uni...but I think we'll trade down to far to get him. I think he'd have a huge impact on our line though, especially since I hope we don't bring Kerney back. He's going to cost WAY too much money for his limited production.

Shiver
01-11-2007, 10:26 AM
I doubt Anderson makes it too our pick. But if he was there I would love it. Either him or Adams.

iloxygenil
01-11-2007, 10:40 AM
I doubt Anderson makes it too our pick. But if he was there I would love it. Either him or Adams.
I don't think either one will be available. But fact of the matter is, the more of these top flight Juniors that keep declaring makes the #10 pick more and more of a sexy pick. One of these elite talents has to be available at our pick, the question is which one will it be, and if they are available do we still trade down? If we trade down how far do we trade down? If we trade to the mid / late first do we select Justin Blaylock? We have huge needs starting in the middle of the OL so we can bulk up.

Shiver
01-11-2007, 10:50 AM
Justin Blaylock has perennial all-pro profile at Guard. Like a Shawn Andrews, Alan Faneca, or Steve Hutchinson. I would love to trade down and get him to be our Left Guard.

Shiver
01-11-2007, 11:49 AM
Right now; our biggest priority I think is the left side of the line. I think for Petrino's "Power Spread" offense, we need the line to hold up, especially in a more balanced attack. I think we would be hard pressed to ignore that position, with our high pick, considering that it will be unlikely to fix that position in free agency. That is, of course, due to the fact that everyone is way under the cap with exception two teams. O-Lineman are pricey on the open market anyway. So in a year when everybody will be over-paying for players not worth their weight, the draft is the direction to go.

Priority Numero Uno

LT - ?
LG - ?
C - Todd McClure
RG - Kynan Forney
RT - Todd Weiner

iloxygenil
01-11-2007, 01:04 PM
Right now; our biggest priority I think is the left side of the line. I think for Petrino's "Power Spread" offense, we need the line to hold up, especially in a more balanced attack. I think we would be hard pressed to ignore that position, with our high pick, considering that it will be unlikely to fix that position in free agency. That is, of course, due to the fact that everyone is way under the cap with exception two teams. O-Lineman are pricey on the open market anyway. So in a year when everybody will be over-paying for players not worth their weight, the draft is the direction to go.

Priority Numero Uno

LT - ?
LG - ?
C - Todd McClure
RG - Kynan Forney
RT - Todd Weiner
I have to agree with you, I'm thinking Blaylock is another favorite of mine, but I like Ben Grubbs as well as a 2nd round guy. So, I'm not sure what we can come away with, and I know it wouldn't be popular to go OL with our first 2 picks but I think that could be where the value is this year, and if we pickup extra picks by trading down and still landing some top OL...wow...it could be a real nice year for us. This WR depth is ABSURDE this season, so I would be fine with a 3-4th round guy, and then the secondary isn't elite depth, but there are some solid players projecting low. Possibly the best DE class ever, at least as far as projections go. I could really see this turning out really great for us.

Shiver
01-11-2007, 01:11 PM
We don't need a big time receiver. I would love to land Dallas Baker later in the draft. He would be great as our #4 receiver.

SimonRath
01-11-2007, 01:13 PM
We don't need a big time receiver. I would love to land Dallas Baker later in the draft. He would be great as our #4 receiver.

i like David Ball more as our guy

ATLDirtyBirds
01-11-2007, 02:09 PM
I really want to see what goes on with Shaub an stuff before I make any mocks or anything. But the suspense is killing me. Blaylock would be beast though.

iloxygenil
01-11-2007, 02:28 PM
I think the value we get from Schaub is really going to shape the face of our draft more than anything else.

A prospect I am VERY excited about IF and ONLY IF we lose Demorrio (which I hope we don't) is Lawrence Timmons from FSU. He's got similar speed (not as much because Demo may be the fastest LB in the NFL) and incredible size over Demorrio. But that would be if and only if we don't re-sign him, which I pray we do.

But we have SO many options...it's going to be a fun draft for us.

iloxygenil
01-11-2007, 02:29 PM
Problem is we could use a big time #1, since we don't really have one.

I don't want Dallas Baker.

I would MUCH prefer Johnnie Lee Higgins, or David Ball or someone like that.

Shiver
01-11-2007, 02:39 PM
There are a dozen or so receivers I love in the middle rounds. Put one of them with Crumpler, Jenkins, White and Finneran for our "spread" formations and we will be fine. Especially with the tutelage of Hue Jackson. This is one of the deepest receiver drafts in a long time, not at all top heavy like the much heralded '04 class was.

iloxygenil
01-11-2007, 02:46 PM
There are a dozen or so receivers I love in the middle rounds. Put one of them with Crumpler, Jenkins, White and Finneran for our "spread" formations and we will be fine. Especially with the tutelage of Hue Jackson. This is one of the deepest receiver drafts in a long time, not at all top heavy like the much heralded '04 class was.
You're right. But Dallas Baker isn't one of them. There are a lot of 2-4th round guys that I really like.

The more I think about the prospect of Eric Weddle the less and less I want to draft Landry or Nelson. And want OL / DE in the first

Shiver
01-11-2007, 02:46 PM
There are a dozen or so receivers I like in the middle rounds. Put one of them with Crumpler, Jenkins, White and Finneran for our "spread" formations and we will be fine. Especially with the tutelage of Hue Jackson. This is one of the deepest receiver drafts in a long time, not at all top heavy like the much heralded '04 class was.
You're right. But Dallas Baker isn't one of them. There are a lot of 2-4th round guys that I really like.

You're telling me which receivers I shouldn't like? :?

"But Dallas Baker isn't one of the ones I like."

That's probably more accurate to what you were trying to say.

iloxygenil
01-11-2007, 02:57 PM
There are a dozen or so receivers I like in the middle rounds. Put one of them with Crumpler, Jenkins, White and Finneran for our "spread" formations and we will be fine. Especially with the tutelage of Hue Jackson. This is one of the deepest receiver drafts in a long time, not at all top heavy like the much heralded '04 class was.

You're telling me which receivers I shouldn't like? :?

"But Dallas Baker isn't one of the ones I like."

That's probably more accurate to what you were trying to say.
Yeah, that's what I was saying. No, you can like whoever you want =) I always like different prospects than other people lol. Didn't mean to come as trying to tell you, no you can't like him lol.

Shiver
01-11-2007, 03:01 PM
Yeah I figured. :lol:

iloxygenil
01-11-2007, 03:45 PM
I'm tired of being a Vet, it's time for me to become an All-Pro...but I refuse to just spam messages to get my post count up like some people do! lol.

I really like Weddle, I really like Griffin...but I really like Offensive Line help I don't know what I want...AAAAHHHHH

Shiver
01-11-2007, 04:46 PM
A underrated slant that no one has discussed, that I feel is very important, is the conditioning of Alge Crumpler. Last year, with all the surgery and off time, he was in horrible condition. Hopefully he stays healthy and gets into tip-top shape, because that would really help. He had to have been at 6'2" 270-ish this past season.

Shiver
01-11-2007, 05:12 PM
Yeah, that's what I was saying. No, you can like whoever you want =) I always like different prospects than other people lol. Didn't mean to come as trying to tell you, no you can't like him lol.

I think me and you don't see "eye to eye" on the Safety thing. If we draft a Safety, the one I would want is Laron Landry, I know you don't care for him. :lol:

ATLDirtyBirds
01-11-2007, 05:23 PM
Shiver, you just got a big thumbs up from me. Ask iloxygenil how many times I told him about drafting that kid on AIM.

iloxygenil
01-11-2007, 08:07 PM
LOL I know about that I'm dyin I get messages 24 / 7 about Landry, but I don't want a Safey who takes too many chances and misses, it costs us touchdowns. I don't like him, he has no heart no hustle and he's living off hype. I'd take him in the 2nd round, but NO way not in the first. Unless he's there after we trade down, but I'm over Reggie Nelson too

ATLDirtyBirds
01-11-2007, 08:58 PM
Landry owns you.

HEADBANG

D-Unit
01-11-2007, 08:59 PM
Landry owns you.

HEADBANG
Wow ATL! That sig is killer! :shock: Nice job!

Shiver
01-12-2007, 01:39 AM
I think Michael Boley's emergence is one of the few bright spots from the '05 season. He can play all over the field, at RE and LOLB, and Rich McKay even said in a emergency he could be moved to SS! He also had a nose for the ball.

85 Tackles
3 Sacks
2 Interceptions
1 FF
3 FR

He is going to be something as he develops.

D-Rod
01-12-2007, 06:47 AM
yup, Boley is actually my favourite player on the Falcons by some distance. He's got it all physically, and is quickly learning to play with more discipline. He's also a good guy, by all accounts.

Ridiculous that we got him in the 5th round. Just goes to show, the draft may be well-researched and well-organised, but it's still a lottery.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-12-2007, 08:04 AM
Landry owns you.

HEADBANG
Wow ATL! That sig is killer! :shock: Nice job!

Thanks D... Huge Boley fan, gotta show my support.

iloxygenil
01-12-2007, 09:28 AM
Hey ATL you can get rid of the fire the ATL coaching staff now.

Anyway. I really do like Boley, he was very solid this season, but Demorrio is getting screwed over, he's the one who makes TONS of plays to the point where it should be him on the field and move Brooking back to the Middle which makes this team better.

92 tackles 1 sack 2 FF 1 int (dunno how many FRs because ESPN says 54 lol which was the # of yards he returned a fumble for a TD)

And those numbers are after getting demoted for no good reason. He hardly saw the field the last 5 weeks of the season, he really got shafted.

scar988
01-12-2007, 10:26 AM
yup, Boley is actually my favourite player on the Falcons by some distance. He's got it all physically, and is quickly learning to play with more discipline. He's also a good guy, by all accounts.

Ridiculous that we got him in the 5th round. Just goes to show, the draft may be well-researched and well-organised, but it's still a lottery.actually Boley was an elevator prospect that year. a guy who while listed high with good character, produces well but no one knows why. doesn't have great instinct and may be a physical specimen but isn't the total package teams look for early on. we weren't even going to take him unless we had that 2nd 5th rounder. :shock: McKay said that he would take a chance and hope Brooking rubbed off on him. looks like Brooking did.

SimonRath
01-12-2007, 12:59 PM
What you guys think about us drafting Alonzo Colemon (RB) from Campton?? he's my big sleeper

Shiver
01-12-2007, 01:00 PM
Here is one person reciting what was said on the radio this morning.

Petrino was on 680 the fan live this morning at about 7:30 AM. Talked about his offense, defense, and why he came to Atlanta.

First off, they guy is not a big talker. His answers are sort of short and matter of fact. Unlike Mora, there was not rah-rah stuff. I also didn't sense any BS or sugar-coating.

Said receivers and o-line was main focus on offense, but after his initial look he thought our receivers might be better than he had thought. ;) Said you tend to be good at the things you practice on a lot, and there were going to practice PASS BLOCKING a lot.

Forgot to add this about the passing. Said he would work to keep our line less bunched up, the players would be a little more spead out to help create passing lanes because of Vick's height.

Talked about the "feed the studs" philosophy. You get the ball into the hands of your playmakers.

Believes you show the players your system, let them learn it and get comfortable, then you change the system to take advantage of the strengths of the players you have (mentioned Vick during this.)

Very excited about Zimmer on defense. Mentioned he was a 4-3 guy, and said he had watched some of Zimmer's 3-4 defensive games recently and said "they didn't look like Zimmer defenses". Hoped Zimmer could do the same things with Hall he did with Deion Sanders.

The yankee on the show (can't remember his name) continually tried to bait him into a QB controversy or saying there is a chance he might get rid of Vick. Petrino wouldn't bite, in fact his replies sounded more like Petrino was puzzled about why there would be a controversy or why he might want to get rid of Vick.

The big surprise came when they started discussing the other NFL coaching jobs he had turned down, and what was different about Atlanta that made him take it. Petrino said his goal since getting into coaching was to be an NFL head coach. The reasons he came to Atlanta were: 1. McKay, 2. Blank, 3. Vick.

That's the part that floored me. He not only said he liked Vick, he was one of the big reasons he came to Atlanta.

They then started to talk about QBs, talk about how Vick would fit in his system, and compare Vick to some of the QBs Petrino had coached in the past. Petrino uses the word "excited" a lot, but this is the first time in the interview he actually sounded excited. Instead of the short, matter-of-fact replies he had been giving, he opened up and really started talking. The guy almost gushed. You could almost hear the gears turning in his head talking about the things he could do with Vick.

Who knows if Vick will actually work out in Petrino's offense. It is obvious though, that Petrino is excited as heck about working with Vick.

The bottom line is Petrino came here BECAUSE of Vick, not in spite of Vick.

Take that Chris Mortensen!

Shiver
01-12-2007, 02:27 PM
There are already indications that Atlanta, which holds the 10th pick in the first round of the draft, will strongly consider trading the pick to amass extra choices. Under Petrino, the Falcons face some retooling, especially on the offensive line.

I say trade down and draft Justin Blaylock.

scar988
01-12-2007, 03:59 PM
First off, they guy is not a big talker. His answers are sort of short and matter of fact. Unlike Mora, there was not rah-rah stuff. I also didn't sense any BS or sugar-coating.
I want a guy like this. Going to military school gets me pissed off at the ********.
Said receivers and o-line was main focus on offense, but after his initial look he thought our receivers might be better than he had thought. Wink Said you tend to be good at the things you practice on a lot, and there were going to practice PASS BLOCKING a lot.
good we need to practice pass blocking.
Forgot to add this about the passing. Said he would work to keep our line less bunched up, the players would be a little more spead out to help create passing lanes because of Vick's height.
that would actually help out.
Talked about the "feed the studs" philosophy. You get the ball into the hands of your playmakers.

Believes you show the players your system, let them learn it and get comfortable, then you change the system to take advantage of the strengths of the players you have (mentioned Vick during this.)
sounds pretty cool. this means he will likely be our long term coach if he is planning this though (it's what they did in Indy with Peyton)
The yankee on the show (can't remember his name) continually tried to bait him into a QB controversy or saying there is a chance he might get rid of Vick. Petrino wouldn't bite, in fact his replies sounded more like Petrino was puzzled about why there would be a controversy or why he might want to get rid of Vick.

The big surprise came when they started discussing the other NFL coaching jobs he had turned down, and what was different about Atlanta that made him take it. Petrino said his goal since getting into coaching was to be an NFL head coach. The reasons he came to Atlanta were: 1. McKay, 2. Blank, 3. Vick.

That's the part that floored me. He not only said he liked Vick, he was one of the big reasons he came to Atlanta.

They then started to talk about QBs, talk about how Vick would fit in his system, and compare Vick to some of the QBs Petrino had coached in the past. Petrino uses the word "excited" a lot, but this is the first time in the interview he actually sounded excited. Instead of the short, matter-of-fact replies he had been giving, he opened up and really started talking. The guy almost gushed. You could almost hear the gears turning in his head talking about the things he could do with Vick.

Who knows if Vick will actually work out in Petrino's offense. It is obvious though, that Petrino is excited as heck about working with Vick.

The bottom line is Petrino came here BECAUSE of Vick, not in spite of Vick.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-12-2007, 04:08 PM
I guess your right i.. i can take it down. anyways im really diggin the trading down and getting blalock. i'd like it even more though if we could pick up another first and use it on a DL, DE S, or WR

Shiver
01-12-2007, 04:13 PM
Our three biggest needs; LT, FS, LG. That is what should be the focus this off-season. I am all for buildnig through the draft, as opposed to the Free Agency method of the past two seasons.

iloxygenil
01-12-2007, 04:49 PM
Our three biggest needs; LT, FS, LG. That is what should be the focus this off-season. I am all for buildnig through the draft, as opposed to the Free Agency method of the past two seasons.
Me too. I know it's only Madden, but man, when you go out and try to land big names in FA EVERY year it just is like putting a bandaid on a mortal wound. You have to have someone BEHIND that FA to learn and grow and take over. FAs shouldn't be the long term solution, should be the short term if a rookie isn't working out. So like in Madden, I have a friend who likes to go get the big name players because they are rated high and doesn't care how much they cost and stuff, and I'm sittin there building through the draft every season, trying to get as many picks as possible, even if that means trading down a couple times, or giving up some of my aging 'vets' (which I know you can't do in the real world because of the fact that you need leadership on the field, something Madden can't account for) to get some young talent I can work with. By the end of 3 seasons his team is signed to 2-3 more years on those big FA contracts and he has 0 cap room and has to opt out of some of his better picks in the draft because he can't afford them, where as I am able to go out and make all my draft picks, AND go get the rookies he couldn't sign lol. Then it leaves my team SUPER deep and I end up not having to have draft picks as much and I am able to go out and trade draft picks for the young guys I missed in the draft that I really wanted to pickup. =) It kills him, but that same principle applies here and it's very obvious when I look at what has happened to the Falcons it is just like told ya so! I like getting a guy like Abe, but guys like Hartwell are just killing our cap and making us the most highly paid team in the league 3rd most in NFL history...which is stupid. It's like the Yankees, they suck now, because they have no teamwork they all are just guys who got their fat pay checks and now can sit and not be pushed to perform anymore.

I think the time to buy FAs is done, especially since there aren't many great names I would like to try to pickup in FA. Maybe some offensive line help, but other than that I want to go draft all the way. Kinda like Green Bay did last year. They traded down MANY times, and had like 11+ draft picks and now look at their roster. Sure it's SUPER young but they had a better record than we did, yes a lot had to do with coaching, but when they brought in that young blood and only brought in a couple big time Free Agents (Ryan Pickett and Charles Woodson) it has put them in a great spot to be a great team for another decade. Guys like Greg Jennings AND everyone's favorite LT from last year's draft (who was selected with the pick we traded up to get Jimmy. Darryn Colledge, he's turned out to be a very good LG (something we need bad, I'm not saying I'd rather have him than Jimmy, but that's just an example, because from that trade down they also got another young player. It's crazy how well they ran their draft last year, that's the kinda draft we need to have this year. And we can especially with Schaub being very valuable

Shiver
01-12-2007, 04:52 PM
Look at the Chargers, Patriots and Eagles. They rarely, if at all, sign a big name free agent. They have built via the draft; to much success. That is what we need to do. I am all for trading down, getting as many picks as possible, and building the team. The past two years, the depth on this team has been atrocious.

iloxygenil
01-12-2007, 05:01 PM
Look at the Chargers, Patriots and Eagles. They rarely, if at all, sign a big name free agent. They have built via the draft; to much success. That is what we need to do. I am all for trading down, getting as many picks as possible, and building the team. The past two years, the depth on this team has been atrocious.
I agree 100%

scar988
01-12-2007, 05:19 PM
Our three biggest needs; LT, FS, LG. That is what should be the focus this off-season. I am all for buildnig through the draft, as opposed to the Free Agency method of the past two seasons.I agree but IMO you need some mid tier FA's I would love to get these guys for our FA/re-sign haul:
FB Justin Griffith - FB's are cheap. sign him to a 5 year 10M dollar deal like McClures.
TE Dwayne Blakely - will be real cheap. sign him to a 3 year 3M dollar deal
LB Demorrio Williams - sign him to a 4 year $7M deal and show him that Brooking's deal is only 1 or 2 years away from completion.
DB Jordan Babineaux - sign him to a 4 year, $7M deal (1M in 2007, 1.5M in 2008, 2M in 2009 and 2.5M in 2010 as the cap hits with 2M of it as signing bonus)
P Koenen - cheap P deal. 6 years for $4.5M

DraftMichaelHuff
01-12-2007, 06:29 PM
What do you guys think of Javis Moss as a possibility in the draft? at 6"6 260 his measurables remind me of Jason Taylor. Would he work in atlanta n where would we have to draft him?

iloxygenil
01-12-2007, 07:07 PM
What do you guys think of Javis Moss as a possibility in the draft? at 6"6 260 his measurables remind me of Jason Taylor. Would he work in atlanta n where would we have to draft him?
I think DEs are bountiful and no longer constitute a first round pick, unless someone like Gaines or Jamaal are there when we pick.

Shiver
01-12-2007, 07:42 PM
I think DEs are bountiful and no longer constitute a first round pick, unless someone like Gaines or Jamaal are there when we pick.

Defensive End on the position need "totem poll" will be determined based on the Kerney contract situation. Personally, I am not too crazy about resigning a declining, 30-year old, End to a big contract. :|

iloxygenil
01-12-2007, 08:53 PM

Defensive End on the position need "totem poll" will be determined based on the Kerney contract situation. Personally, I am not too crazy about resigning a declining, 30-year old, End to a big contract. :|
I don't want him at all.

Shiver
01-12-2007, 10:09 PM
I would much rather use that 'money' on Justin Smith, instead of Patrick Kerney. He's pretty much a younger equivalent at this point. Then again; I would love to have Jamaal Anderson or Gaines Adams. 8)

ATLDirtyBirds
01-13-2007, 09:01 AM
Gimme Anderson. 8)

iloxygenil
01-13-2007, 10:02 AM
Gimme Anderson. 8)
I don't think he'll be around for us. I'm not sure though. I really am interested in this whole trade down thing. The more I think about it, the better and better Justin Blaylock seems as a 1st round pick for us. We have serious troubles along the offensive line on the left side, and we have to do something to fix that. I know Wayne only allowed 8 sacks this season, but he got away with a TON of holding, I doubt that's the case next year. I want a franchise LT and LG like Seattle had before they were retards about re-signing Huch. I really think if we landed Justin Blaylock and Tony Ugoh that we could have the left side of our OL locked up for years. Or even a guy like Joe Staley at LT. We really should cut Wayne if we can, his cap hit is enormous. So many options! More than usual

ATLDirtyBirds
01-13-2007, 10:13 AM
There are a ton of options. I think the base of our offseason is Shaub.

Shiver
01-13-2007, 02:26 PM
I was looking at the Red Zone's FA list; there are a ton of guards set to hit the market:

Diehl, David
Dielman, Kris
Dockery, Derrick
Steinbach, Eric

Any of those would drastically improve our LG spot.

As for Tackle;

Davis, Leonard
Thomas, William

Not quite a great market, Davis would be an improvement over Gandy. I doubt Thomas isn't resigned by Philadelphia. If he is let go, I would make him our one FA addition, then addressing LG, FS, RB and others in the draft.

scar988
01-13-2007, 02:55 PM
their list isn't 100% right. I would have to say that would be a great pickup for our RT spot. He is 6'7" 345 pounds and could play LT if needed and while he is a RFA, he likely won't be signed to anything more than a right of first refusal offer or no comp offer as I call it. imagining we get Ugoh in the 3rd, move Forney to C and have Omiyale move to LG and Weiner move to RG, it would give us a line like this:

LT - Ugoh - 6'5" 314
LG - Omiyale - 6'4" 310
C - Forney - 6'3" 307
RG - Wiener - 6'5" 298
RT - Dorsey - 6'7" 345

It would make our average lineman size go from 6'3" 301 to 6'5" 315. we could cut McClure this year for a minimal cap hit difference.

Shiver
01-13-2007, 03:07 PM
We won't cut McClure. I was listening to Rich McKay's interview on 790, he mentioned how all the candidates praised our Center (McClure). Since Forney, Weiner and McClure are all signed up, I would say our Right Side is locked up for the time being. We just need a new LT/G, to solidify pass protection.

SimonRath
01-13-2007, 03:35 PM
I was looking at the Red Zone's FA list; there are a ton of guards set to hit the market:

Diehl, David
Dielman, Kris
Dockery, Derrick
Steinbach, Eric

As for Tackle;

Davis, Leonard
Thomas, William

Not quite a great market, Davis would be an improvement over Gandy. I doubt Thomas isn't resigned by Philadelphia. If he is let go, I would make him our one FA addition, then addressing LG, FS, RB and others in the draft.

I would love for the falcons to get Eric Steinbach

Shiver
01-13-2007, 05:54 PM
Any of those guys would be fine.

scar988
01-13-2007, 06:36 PM
Nat Dorsey is a RFA. I would for us to bring him back to GA. he played for GT so the hometown argument could help and he also will ikely only get a no comp ROFR offer. I would love to get him to play LT for us as I think with a left handed QB he would be a great LT.

Shiver
01-13-2007, 10:40 PM
The play-calling in the Saints/Eagles game will hopefully be a fore gleam of things to come under Petrino. This playoffs clearly identify the productive play callers and offensive designs, in contrast to the bland, vanilla, conservative offenses of teams like Kansas City, Baltimore, etcetera.

iloxygenil
01-13-2007, 10:47 PM
The play-calling in the Saints/Eagles game will hopefully be a fore gleam of things to come under Petrino. This playoffs clearly identify the productive play callers and offensive designs, in contrast to the bland, vanilla, conservative offenses of teams like Kansas City, Baltimore, etcetera.
I totally agree...I think we're going to see some stuff and be like WHAT THE HECK is that crap, and be pissed about it, but it's just another look for teams to study, so I think even the ones that get destroyed, cost time in practice, which opens something else up. With Knapp people knew we only had 4 plays.

scar988
01-13-2007, 11:09 PM
I totally agree...I think we're going to see some stuff and be like WHAT THE HECK is that crap, and be pissed about it, but it's just another look for teams to study, so I think even the ones that get destroyed, cost time in practice, which opens something else up. With Knapp people knew we only had 4 plays.what I'm going to love is seeign a formation and knowing what play is coming out of it. strong I motion Jenkins to a tight slot and have a run? why not run a PA out of that at least once or twice a game?

Shiver
01-13-2007, 11:59 PM
Or the 'innovation' of copying a handful of plays from WVU, while adding zero plays to the packages throughout the season. :roll: Or running the ball on every single 2nd and long.

Shiver
01-14-2007, 12:22 AM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nfl/article/0,2777,DRMN_23918_5278527,00.html

The Broncos and Johnson have agreed in principle and Johnson could be formally announced as soon as Monday as a new Broncos defensive line coach.

Falcons defense end Patrick Kerney, who will be an unrestricted free agent in March, has said publicly the Falcons retaining Johnson would be one of the factors he would consider before re-signing in Atlanta.

The Broncos hiring Johnson could give them a chance in free agency at Kerney at what is a need position for the team.

Looks like DE could be a need. I doubt Anderson falls, due to his size/speed combination, but Adams might. If we could get Adams, our D-Line would be disgusting. My pre-combine draft preferences;

1. Gaines Adams
2. Laron Landry

Shiver
01-14-2007, 12:40 AM
According to SOS we have a cupcake schedule next season, finally!

http://www.theredzone.org/strength.asp

iloxygenil
01-14-2007, 02:43 AM
Then we better not weigh too heavily on what petrino does in his first year

ATLDirtyBirds
01-14-2007, 07:01 AM
If theres one kid that I want via FA, it would have to be Charles Grant. Best we can do is pray the kid doesnt get singed by the Saints.

iloxygenil
01-14-2007, 11:53 AM
If theres one kid that I want via FA, it would have to be Charles Grant. Best we can do is pray the kid doesnt get singed by the Saints.
I wasn't aware he was a Free Agent.

That article on Kerney makes me believe that he's a goner, so I know DE is definitely a pressing need now, since we have no real starter opposite Abe. I like Davis, and he's a sick backup, but he has to be played in the rotation, he couldn't handle being the starter for 16 games I don't think. Now the question is, I know we are likely to trade down (which at this point I think may be total BS and the exact opposite of what we plan to do, because April is SO far away, never know what the coach is going to want to do, I hope Calvin can talk them in to trading up to land him here in ATL) Anyway, if we don't trade down and we stay right where we are, that's when this list gets all crazy, there may be either one of the big 2 DEs, but prolly not, there will be plenty of WRs who people will be calling for, and then there is Laron Landry who could very well be on the board still at #10.

Best case scenario for me at this point, since Calvin did declare would be,

1.) Trade Schaub away combined with our #10 overall pick to move up with Detroit, or if Cleveland gets #3 either way, package #10 + Schaub.
2.) #1 overall Al Davis see's the light and goes with Jamarcus Russell
3.) #2 overall Detroit goes for Adrian Peterson or Gaines Adams or something like that (if we don't land the trade with them)
4.) #3 overall we select Calvin Johnson. I know we have tons of needs, and the offensive line is a HUGE problem, but I think if we don't at least offer Schaub + #10 to move up a few spots to snag him we're stupid.

That would leave us without many extra draft picks, unless we trade down in the 2nd or later rounds. So it would leave our offensive line woes to Free Agency, or spending our other 2 day 1 picks on Offensive line. I really like Justin Blaylock though, he's a beast, but so is Ben Grubbs. So either one of them at LG would make me happy. Then our LT situation is really bad and I like a guy like Staley, but also like Ugoh. Who knows we may just be smart enough now to move up in the draft and get that Franchise LT Joe Thomas...

ATLDirtyBirds
01-14-2007, 12:41 PM
BTW I'm not positive Grant is a FA, I read it on a falcons board. no clue how knowledgable the guy is.

iloxygenil
01-14-2007, 01:38 PM
BTW I'm not positive Grant is a FA, I read it on a falcons board. no clue how knowledgable the guy is.
I don't know why he would be FA...I thought he just got a big contract last year or 2 years ago...but I don't know either.

D-Rod
01-14-2007, 01:47 PM
grant was definitely due to be a FA at the end of this year... however, he may have been re-signed since the start of the season. that said, i haven't heard that he has, and i feel like i would have done if he did...

regardless, he won't be coming to atlanta. he'll demand a lot more than we can afford... if we don't get kerney, we'll go for youth almost certainly - out of necessity if nothing else.

Shiver
01-14-2007, 04:26 PM
The more needs we have, the far more likely we deal down. That said, I would kill to get one of the premier DEs if they fall.

01-14-2007, 04:35 PM

Diehl, David
Dielman, Kris
Dockery, Derrick
Steinbach, Eric

As for Tackle;

Davis, Leonard
Thomas, William

Steinbach in my mind is premier of the offseason crop.

The best free agent list in my mind, go to footballsfuture.com, they have complete UFA/RFA in every position.

Would you guys prefer Quentin Moses of Georgia or Jamaal Anderson of Oklahoma. personally Anderson's upside is just too much for me, and i like him better.

this is my first time posting here, figured id come here since im a mini-fan and want to learn some indepth stuff, also im assisting iloxygenil and ATLDirtyBirds in the forum mock.

Shiver
01-14-2007, 04:39 PM
Definitely Jamaal Anderson.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-14-2007, 04:51 PM
Jamaal Anderson is out of Arkansas btw. He blows Qunetin Moses away.

Shiver
01-14-2007, 05:28 PM

I am hoping Hue Jackson can coax him into coming to the A.T.L

ATLDirtyBirds
01-14-2007, 06:28 PM
It would be nice. I think Omyile (sp) is ready to start. So if we can sign a FA Offensive Tackle, that gives us one less thing to adress via the early part of the draft.

Shiver
01-14-2007, 06:40 PM
It would be nice if Omiyale were ready. Kerney praised him this past off-season. But I would have expected him to have taken over, by now. If he was ready, that would be fantastic.

01-14-2007, 07:52 PM

speaking of that, i heard about that hire, congrats, hes just amazing

iloxygenil
01-14-2007, 08:36 PM
I think Jamaal is definitely going to end up going before Gaines Adams, which is a huge bonus for us. I think Gaines Adams could totally rip it up for us, we will not miss Patrick Kerney, mark my words. From a production standpoint we will increase, from a heart standpoint he very well may not be ever equaled. We'll see what happens.

scar988
01-14-2007, 09:22 PM
The more needs we have, the far more likely we deal down. That said, I would kill to get one of the premier DEs if they fall.I agree. if we sign Jordan Babineaux that woudl be great for us.

Shiver
01-14-2007, 10:03 PM
I think Jamaal is definitely going to end up going before Gaines Adams, which is a huge bonus for us. I think Gaines Adams could totally rip it up for us, we will not miss Patrick Kerney, mark my words. From a production standpoint we will increase, from a heart standpoint he very well may not be ever equaled. We'll see what happens.

If we don't have Kerney, with Abraham's durability issues, End becomes priority numero uno.

Shiver
01-14-2007, 10:46 PM

speaking of that, i heard about that hire, congrats, hes just amazing

If he can even do half of what he did in Cincinnati; our offense will be potent. In Cincinnati their receivers actually capitalize on 1v1 situations, winning their individual match-ups. We have just as much talent as they do.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-14-2007, 10:53 PM
I'm still VERY unsure of our WR core...

Shiver
01-15-2007, 12:20 AM
I'm still VERY unsure of our WR core...

They have shown plenty of promise. We just have to hope Hue Jackson and the Petrino's kill the dropsies. If they do, we won't have a problem.

falconsrule
01-15-2007, 09:06 AM

As of right now Gaines is projected as the top DE but it will boil down to if Jamaal has a good NFL combine.My gut feeling is that one of those guys will fall down to us....because I dont see the Vikings taking another DE at the #7 spot...the loss of Kerney would hurt us from a leader standpoint but Kerney has never been a great pass rusher but always gave 100%

Shiver
01-15-2007, 02:06 PM

As of right now Gaines is projected as the top DE but it will boil down to if Jamaal has a good NFL combine.My gut feeling is that one of those guys will fall down to us....because I dont see the Vikings taking another DE at the #7 spot...the loss of Kerney would hurt us from a leader standpoint but Kerney has never been a great pass rusher but always gave 100%

I say we prioritize the trench play. D-Line in the first, O-Line in the second.

Shiver
01-15-2007, 02:23 PM
Here is an article on Mike Zimmer;

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/16459407.htm

Falcons | Zimmer grateful for new opportunity
Mon, 15 Jan 2007 06:02:49 -0800

Randy Galloway, of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, reports Atlanta Falcons new defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer is grateful for the fresh start he will receive in Atlanta after an unsuccessful attempt to adjust to a 3-4 alignment as defensive coordinator of the Dallas Cowboys last season. "The fans were down on me -- some of the stuff they were yelling hit home -- and I was more down on myself than they were," Zimmer said of Cowboys' fans. "I couldn't get it right. I was failing as the defensive coordinator. That wasn't easy to take. (Now), I'm here in Atlanta, having to re-learn the 4-3. I'm thankful for my 13 years with the Cowboys, thankful for a lot of friends I made, but now I'm eager to tackle this new challenge."

D-Rod
01-15-2007, 03:12 PM
Here's my latest view on the #10 pick, assuming for now that we stay there, now that everyone is declared. This is based on different player groupings.

Guys who fit a need for us and are value at #10:

Joe Thomas
Gaines Adams
Jamaal Anderson
Alan Branch

Guys who don't really fit a need but would be good value at #10:

Adrian Peterson
Leon Hall
Calvin Johnson

Guys who really don't fit but should get picked top 10:

Brady Quinn
JaMarcus Russel

Yeah, exactly: 9 guys: that stinks for the team that picks at #10. Us.

Then the next group - guys who fit a need but might not be quite worth #10:

Reggie Nelson
Laron Landry
Amobi Okoye
Levi Brown
Justin Blalock
Quentin Moses

So, if the top 9 go as expected, we will either choose one of those guys at #10, or trade down and grab one of them later.

HOWEVER, here's the key. We just need ONE player to get picked in the top 10 who isn't in my top 9 picks, and WE get an elite player. Let's face it, when has there ever not been a surprise in the top 10?

Candidates (will be much more obvious post combine):

Dwayne Jarrett
Ted Ginn JR (Dolphins and Vikings are only candidates for these guys, but both unlikely; best hope is a trade up by some other team desperate for WR help)

Pat Willis - i really rate this guy, and combine could push him up.

Marshawn Lynch - good combine, maybe Minny will decide that Chester Taylor ain't the future, or Houston will decide they need an RB (if AD gone).

Maybe even McCauley, if he has a crazy good combine.

Any other suggestions.

In short, there is still a decent chance of a surprise package sneaking into the top 9, and one of the elite guys - Anderson, Branch, Adams - falling to us at 10. (crosses fingers).

Shiver
01-15-2007, 03:26 PM
If that is who is left; Laron Landry any day. He has been the leader on a premier defense for a long time, look at the kind of impact players like Bob Sanders, Ed Reed, Brian Dawkins can have. He could step in, and be productive right away and a huge improvement over Chris Crocker. Crocker gave up far too many big plays because he didn't get the necessary depth.

As for O-Line; I don't see any value at #10. The only way, is in a trade down, then take either Levi Brown or Justin Blaylock. That said, in round two, there are several worthy prospects at OG/OT there.

I rank our needs as;

OT
DE
FS
OG

Whichever presents the most value, will be the pick, otherwise a trade down.

SimonRath
01-15-2007, 03:48 PM
If that is who is left; Laron Landry any day. He has been the leader on a premier defense for a long time, look at the kind of impact players like Bob Sanders, Ed Reed, Brian Dawkins can have. He could step in, and be productive right away and a huge improvement over Chris Crocker. Crocker gave up far too many big plays because he didn't get the necessary depth.

As for O-Line; I don't see any value at #10. The only way, is in a trade down, then take either Levi Brown or Justin Blaylock. That said, in round two, there are several worthy prospects at OG/OT there.

I rank our needs as;

OT
DE
FS
OG

Dude we need a FS... i would rather get a DE or OT in round 1 and a FS in round 2 or 3

ATLDirtyBirds
01-15-2007, 04:13 PM

I rank our needs as;

OT
DE
FS
OG

Amen. Go Laron Landry!

Shiver
01-15-2007, 04:33 PM

I rank our needs as;

OT
DE
FS
OG

Amen. Go Laron Landry!

oxy is going to blow a gasket. :lol:

D-Rod
01-15-2007, 04:35 PM
My draft board if we trade up high:

Calvin Johnson
Joe Thomas

If we stay at #10:

Alan Branch
Jamaal Anderson
Gaines Adams (i think that Anderson is a better complement to Abraham)
Laron Landry
Leon Hall
Reggie Nelson (unless his combine scores are mind-blowing)
Okoye (again, combine scores will be key)

If we trade down to #15-20:

Landry
Nelson
Okoye
Blalock
Brown
Moses

Shiver
01-15-2007, 04:37 PM
Keyshawn said he would leave Carolina if they fired Henning. They did. He mentioned that he would've come here, but Atlanta never called. Hopefully, we would grab him this time. I don't trust Finneran, he was slow as it is, with a blown out ACL I am not sure he an separate.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-15-2007, 04:42 PM

I rank our needs as;

OT
DE
FS
OG

Amen. Go Laron Landry!

He yells at me everytime I mention his name.

Shiver
01-15-2007, 04:45 PM

I rank our needs as;

OT
DE
FS
OG

Amen. Go Laron Landry!

My big two are;

Jamaal Anderson
Laron Landry

We need a better defense, first and foremost. Just having better scheme, coaching and play-calling will improve our offense.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-15-2007, 04:47 PM

I rank our needs as;

OT
DE
FS
OG

Amen. Go Laron Landry!

My big two are;

Jamaal Anderson
Laron Landry

We need a better defense, first and foremost. Just having better scheme, coaching and play-calling will improve our offense.

What do ya know those are my top 2 defensive players. (Calvin being the only offensive player ahead)

Shiver
01-15-2007, 05:30 PM
I say this would be my plan;

Sign a G in the off-season, there is a substantial amount of quality at the position.
Draft defense in round one, either D-Line or Defensive Back.
Draft a LT of the future in the 2nd, a Tony Ugoh or Arron Sears, I like SEC Left Tackles.
Get a cheap, goal-line specialist 'Back later on.

iloxygenil
01-15-2007, 05:54 PM
I am over Landry and Nelson, I don't want either of them. I want Giffin or Weddle. But if we get Landry, I'm okay with it.

Shiver
01-15-2007, 06:48 PM
http://www.ajc.com/falcons/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/01/15/0116vick.html

Entering his seventh season in the NFL, quarterback Michael Vick will learn his third offense.

And the question still remains: Do you fit an offense to Vick? Or fit Vick to an offense?

New Falcons head coach Bobby Petrino, after Dan Reeves and Jim Mora before him, is now faced with that question as he implements the complex power/spread offense.

"I've listened to everybody on TV and it kind of drives me crazy," CBS analyst and former NFL quarterback Phil Simms said. "When is somebody going to design the offense for Michael Vick? Well, my God, are you watching? They've tried everything. They've run 40 different offenses. Settle into an offense and make it work.

"He can run. He can throw. He can do it all. Make him settle into one style and he'll make it work."

Vick said as much after the season. Sensing a change was imminent after the final loss to Philadelphia, Vick said he was open to learning a new offense.

"Just give me the right plays and I'll make it happen," Vick said.

Petrino said he would tailor his offense to Vick. At his introductory press conference Monday, Petrino said that after installing his offense in three stages, he will fit it for Vick.

"I would like to experience and see everything that Michael can do and what fits best for him," Petrino said.

"What I would do is sit down with my offensive coordinator, my quarterbacks coach and if I'm coach Petrino I would sit down with Michael Vick and I'd have Michael give me a list of the things he likes to do," former NFL quarterback and ESPN anaylist Sean Salisbury said. "I would build around that."

The challenge for Petrino

Petrino's passing attack is more in line with the downfield attack that Reeves implemented, when Vick passed for 2,936 yards and completed 54.6 percent of his passes in 2002, his best season as a passer.

Petrino has worked with mobile quarterbacks before in Mark Brunell at Jacksonville, Stefan LeFors at Louisville and Jake Plummer at Arizona State.

"He's coached many different quarterbacks, many different styles and he's made it all work," Simms said. "The one ingredient that's made it all work is that he's an excellent, excellent teacher of the run game. So, it's going to start from there."

Joe Theisman, the former NFL quarterback and ESPN's lead analyst on Monday Night Football, believes Vick needs more help from the rest of the offense.

"What people really have to understand is that the success of the Falcons is more about completeness of the offense verses just Michael," Theisman said. "Michael tried to take the responsibility of that offense on his shoulders last year, and you just can't do it."

However, Vick's accuracy will have to improve. While plagued by dropped passes this season, he completed only 53 percent of his passes (204 of 388). Vick's best completion percent was 56.4 in 2004.

In Petrino's final three seasons at Louisville, his quarterbacks completed at least 61 percent of their passes. Last season Brian Brohm completed 64.6 of his passes. LeFors completed 74 percent and 61 percent in his two seasons as the starter.

Vick tossed a career-high 20 touchdown passes last season. However, the passing game was inconsitant and Vick would turn to the run. That was not always a good thing. While Vick rushed for an NFL-record 1,039 yards for a quarterback, he lead the Falcons in rushing six times. All were losses.

"If Michael rushed for between 500 and 600 yards and his pass completion percentage was in the high 50s, around 60, the Atlanta Falcons would win a lot of football games," Theisman said. "The Atlanta Falcons can not win a lot of football games with Michael Vick being their leading rusher for two reasons. No. 1, if something happens to Michael, you have no offense. Secondly, it's too much pressure for him to try and have to do it every down."

Petrino ran a lot of four- and five-receivers sets at Louisville. The position for the Falcons currently is not perceived as a strength. With the 10th pick in the NFL draft, the Falcons will have a shot at Georgia Tech's Calvin Johnson, South Carolina's Sidney Rice, USC's Dwayne Jarrett or Ohio State's Ted Ginn Jr. They may have to move up to get Johnson, whom ESPN draft expert Mel Kiper has listed as the top player in the draft on his board.

"So how does Bobby Petrino incorporate the wide receivers?" Theisman said. "Michael has a very, very good comfort level with Alge Crumpler. How do you keep him a part of the offense. Bobby is certainly an inventive, young football coach. It's going to be interesting."

Hue Jackson, the Falcons new offensive coordinator, had a talented wide receiver trio in Cincinnati with Chad Johnson, T.J. Houshmandzadeh and Chris Henry.

"Great coaches don't make everybody adjust to them," Salisbury said. "Great coaches, while they have their scheme, make adjustments to certain parts to fit their talent."

Making the right calls

Most expect the perceived kid gloves that Vick has been treated with will come off with the no-nonsense Petrino. Retaining quarterbacks coach Bill Musgrave, who also worked with the left-handed Brunell, could ease Vick's transition.

"Everybody expects it to be some New Age (offense) that nobody else is doing and here it is just for Michael," Simms said. "Well you know what, it doesn't exist. That's fantasy land."

Petrino's play-calling ability helped him land the Falcons job. They were also impressed with how his offenses evolved after defenses came up with ways to slow them down.

"One of the questions I asked him during the interview was it's great to achieve at a high level once, but teams at the level he was competing at have great coordinators and they do what they have to do to stop you," Falcons owner Arthur Blank said. "The trick is not to do it once. The trick is to do it a second time and third time and a fourth time and how do you continue to change your offense at that high level when other teams have seen what you're doing."

So Petrino installs an offense that relies on multiple formations, motions and and a vertical passing attack.

But will it work?

"I've followed coach Petrino," Simms said. "I remember when he was a coach down in Jacksonville. You know the old saying, he can teach it round and he can teach it flat. He's done a little bit of both."

iloxygenil
01-15-2007, 09:04 PM
I am just ready for the draft to get here so we can move Schaub and get us some extra draft picks.

Shiver
01-15-2007, 09:20 PM
I don't think we'll trade Schaub, unless a team is willing to match a 1st round tender.

Ace
01-15-2007, 09:48 PM
Jim Mora seems to have the lock as our next coach. I know most of you all didn't like him and some thought he had a bad rap because of having Vick as his QB. So tell me Falcons fans, what are some good things about him and what ae some bad things about him?

Shiver
01-15-2007, 10:32 PM
I am going to post my response in the Dolphins thread, since that is more appropriate.

falconsrule
01-15-2007, 10:40 PM
I don't think we'll trade Schaub, unless a team is willing to match a 1st round tender.

I really do hope we trade Schaub for some picks....I really doubt if we get a 1st in return but I think D.J. has the ability to step up in the backup QB role.

falconsrule
01-15-2007, 10:41 PM
I am going to post my response in the Dolphins thread, since that is more appropriate.

:lol: this should be interesting

Shiver
01-16-2007, 12:18 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamReport?categoryId=67038&type=StrategyAndPersonnel

While the Falcons had their ups and downs on both sides of the football this past season, straightening out an inconsistent, mostly one-dimensional offense, will be the priority in looking to bounce back in 2007.

With new head coach Bobby Petrino -- regarded as one of the top offensive minds in the country -- now at the helm, it's fully expected he'll devise a scheme that will enable quarterback Michael Vick to fully exploit his unique talents.

When the '07 season ended, it was thought by many that running back Warrick Dunn would end up being a salary cap casualty and had played his last game in an Atlanta uniform. However, team President and General Manager Rich McKay was quoted as saying this week that despite his $3.25 million price tag, he wants Dunn back, albeit in a reduced role due to the looming presence of Jerious Norwood.

Return specialist Allen Rossum had but a few moments of glory this past season following an injury plagued 2005 campaign, as the hopes that he would return to the Pro Bowl form he displayed in '04 went unfounded. The new staff may look to upgrade in that area. It's also up for debate whether or not 36-year-old left tackle Wayne Gandy will be back, as well as the ageless Morten Andersen, who realized his goal of becoming the NFL's all-time points leader.

Regarding the defense, Petrino will stick with the 4-3 scheme that's in place, much to the delight of defensive end Patrick Kerney and linebacker Keith Brooking, who prefer the alignment that Jim Mora installed as opposed to the 3-4 set they worked in when Dan Reeves was the Atlanta coach.

COACHING CAROUSEL: With Bobby Petrino replacing Jim Mora as head coach, a complete reshuffling of the assistant coaching staff is under way.

Petrino said it's his goal to build a staff comprised of veteran NFL and young college coaches who are familiar with how he operates and works.

During his official introduction on Monday he noted that one of his critical hires would be a defensive coordinator, and it appears very likely that choice will be Mike Zimmer, who's been handling the same duties with the Cowboys since 2000. The two worked together at Weber State in the late 1980s.

Petrino -- who will handle the play-calling duties for the Falcons -- has apparently also found an offensive coordinator in Hue Jackson, who will be hired away from the Bengals, where he served as their wide receivers coach. Petrino and Jackson know each other from their Arizona State days between 1992-95. Jackson has been an offensive coordinator on the college level at California and Southern California, and in the NFL with the Redskins.

It's anticipated that Petrino will also bring several assistants with him from Louisville, including his brother, Paul, who would serve as the wide receivers coach, offensive line coach Mike Summers, and defensive line coach Kevin Wolthausen.

Meanwhile, Petrino also is planning to retain three members of Mora's staff, as running backs coach Ollie Wilson, quarterbacks coach Bill Musgrave, and secondary coach Emmitt Thomas will continue working in those roles.

The rest of Mora's former staff won't return. Special team's coordinator Joe DeCamillis became the first to find a new job when he accepted the same position with the Jaguars. Also, defensive backs coach Brett Maxie has reportedly received interest on the college front from Boston College and Stanford.

FREE AGENT UPDATE: The two biggest names heading in to free agency are DE Patrick Kerney and QB Matt Schaub.

As they have previously done with some other key players, team management is trying to re-sign the unrestricted Kerney.

As for Schaub, he is a restricted free agent and has some teams drooling, but Atlanta could ask for first-and-third round picks as compensation for him. With Michael Vick in front of him, Schaub is certain to leave one way or another.

Other pending free agents are outside linebacker DeMorrio Williams, wide receiver Ashley Lelie, and punter Michael Koenen. While all are solid contributors, none seem worthy of being designated with a franchise tag.

FEELING A DRAFT: Thanks to their recent 7-9 record, the Falcons will select 10th in this April's NFL draft. At this time, the priorities at the top of the draft should be at safety and running back, where age and a lack of depth are the biggest concerns.

Running back Warrick Dunn is 32 and his numbers steadily decreased over the course of the second half of 2006. Last year's third round draft pick, Jerious Norwood, is an explosive and tough back, but he missed three games and parts of several others with a knee strain, so his durability is questionable.

At strong safety, Lawyer Milloy still packs pop and exudes smarts and savvy, but at 34 he can't be expected to do it forever. The Falcons possess no heir apparent there -- unless they decide that last year's top pick, 6-foot-2, 215-pound corner Jimmy Williams, is more suited for the position. There's also no depth behind starting free safety Chris Crocker, who had more downs then ups in '06.

TEAM NEEDS

Safety: Lawyer Milloy will be 34 next season and Chris Crocker had many problems in pass coverage.

Running back: Warrick Dunn showed signs of slowing down and it's still uncertain if Jerious Norwood is an every down back.

Left tackle: Wayne Gandy will be 36 next season and had problems in pass protection in the second half of 2006.

MEDICAL WATCH: QB Michael Vick suffered a sprained ankle in the final game of 2006, but it's not a concern. He'll be back at full strength after starting every contest for the first time in his career.

--RT Todd Weiner injured a knee in the season finale, but it won't require surgery. He'd been bothered by soreness in the knee for much of the second half of the season, routinely taking Wednesday practice sessions off to get some much needed rest. He'll be watched closely during mini-camps and OTAs.

--WR Ashley Lelie separated his left shoulder in the next-to-last game of the season. He's a pending free agent, so his return to the team is uncertain at this time.

--CB Jason Webster missed the final eight games of the 2006 season with a torn groin muscle. Webster was showing signs of rounding into shape at the end of the year, but with rookie Jimmy Williams finally getting a turn at the right corner spot, there was no need to rush him back. A Mora favorite, it's doubtful he'll return to the team for the 2007 season.

--S Kevin Mathis suffered a neck injury covering a kickoff in Week 9 at Detroit and missed the rest of the season. It was the second such injury of his career, thus making it highly unlikely that he'll return to play in the NFL again.

--WR Brian Finneran tore the ACL in his right knee, along with dislocating the kneecap, during a training camp mishap and was placed on injured reserve. He seemed to be making considerable progress near season's end, and is expected to be at or near full-strength when 2007 summer camp opens up in late July.

--C Austin King was placed on IR near the end of the season with mononucleosis. He should be ready to take part in March's mini-camp gathering.

--DE Patrick Kerney ruptured his pectoral muscle in the Cleveland game and was placed on injured reserve after undergoing surgery. He's expected to be ready for training camp, but will be watched closely.

--G Kynan Forney dealt with continued right shoulder woes before finally being put on IR in early November. He'll continue his rehabilitation and should be good to go for summer camp.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-16-2007, 04:45 AM
Very interesting. This will give Jimmy a chance to start now. Plus I'm glad Shaub's gone, I like having extra picks in this draft. I kinda wish Kerney was gone, but hes still productive, so I just hope there's a BIG price difference from his last contract.

D-Rod
01-16-2007, 05:37 AM
I'd like Webster to stay as our NB, but I accept that he's probably being paid too much... however, it may actually be more expensive to get rid of him. We shall see.

I'd definitely like to keep Kerney if we can sign him to a reasonable deal. Some people seem to want to get rid of Kerney so that we can get a 1st or 2nd round DE. I want both. The quickest way to make a DE bust is to rely on him for pressure from the outset. If we get rid of Kerney, we are already relying on a rookie. If Abe then gets injured, even briefly, we are relying on a rookie for ALL our pass rush. That's an awful idea. We need TWO veteran DE's, PLUS a 1st day draft pick, plus our collection of time-fillers in Davis and one of Carrington / Mallard, with the other on PS.

If Kerney insists on huge bucks (and Denver may offer them) then we'll have to let him go, but we should still get a veteran replacement (which won't be cheap either).

Most importantly, there is no word yet of re-signing Griffith. Letting him go would be a HUGE mistake. I can't believe it would happen, but hopefully his agent isn't being a pain.

D-Rod
01-16-2007, 05:54 AM
Three things I'm looking forward to knowing:

1. I'm fed up of the past year and a half of speculation about Schaub. I just want to know what pick(s) we get for him... but I doubt anything will happen til FA starts.

2. I want to see SICK combine scores from both Landry and Nelson, showing that they ARE (despite my doubts right now) well worth the #10 pick.

3. I'm very curious to see the combine performances of the D-line targets - Branch, Adams, Anderson, Okoye - to see how the dominos fall.

DraftMichaelHuff
01-16-2007, 07:32 AM
lol am i betraying the owner of the site in sayin i 100% hate our pick in the new mock? Well too bad, i dont see Leon Hall as working at all, he refers to it as "killing two birds with one stone" when its the opposite, you end up having two players having to learn their positions in the pro's as rookies as opposed to choosing a safety to give Jimmy Williams ( who was pretty active this year at -CB-, deep help and having one(the rookie safety).

In his defence that top 9 would be pretty unfortunate for the falcons as no reaches are made=no one slipping and seeing has he doesnt do trades (down) i guess it was BPA but if that top 9 happens in the draft im 110% sure we trade down and select a player that fills a need and is of value. If adams, anderson, branch or peterson falls im certain we take them and judging buy previous years one player will.

He has nelson going all the way to 22 in that case id love a trade with the Giants to 20 allowing them to pick up a better CB and us to grab some extra picks to build that O line later on as well as getting the player that i had us taking a 10

D-Rod
01-16-2007, 07:44 AM
I can see Scott's thinking - and I even mooted it myself a little earlier, as a possibility - but you're exactly right, DMH: it leaves us essentially with two rookies in the seconday. Two very good rookies, but rookies nonetheless. Also, I continue to have faith in JW as a CB, assuming Zimmer plays man-to-man coverage as usual.

If the top 9 falls like that, and there is no trade down, it has to be Landry, pure and simple.

C'mon Landry, make us all happy and run a 4.45 at the combine!

Also, the rest of the draft stinks for the falcons. i really hope that the raiders take CJ, and don't leave him to the Bucs, and I would also be annoyed if the Jags really rated Brennan at #17, because that would deprive us of a potential Schaub suitor.

DraftMichaelHuff
01-16-2007, 07:56 AM
Jimmy at CB for us is ideal IMO look at the guys number 2 guys we go up against throughout the year
Colston 6"5 220+
Clayton 6"4 210+
Johnson 6"4 230+
it just makes sense

then hall on
galloway
smith
horn

hopefully they have enough sense to realise this

and I would also be annoyed if the Jags really rated Brennan at #17, because that would deprive us of a potential Schaub suitor.
Yeh i doubt that very much too, the jags, to me are done with their bold moves in the draft eg Matt Jones, they will want a polished guy and Shaub may well fit there.

Stop for a second and think of the possibilities...
like i said trade down to 20 and still get Nelson or Landry (im a nelson guy myself) but it will be based on who goes worse at the combine. this makes 17 (jags frm Shaub) our first pick, then imagine trade THAT pick down too! Both trades would give us extra 2nds and a 3rds so
1x 1st rounder FS
3x 2nd rounders DE LT LG ours + jags + giants
4x 3rd rounders HB SS DT(damn this piss poor 4/3 NT class) CB (webster leaves)[/i] jags +giants + shaffer comp +ours

DraftMichaelHuff
01-16-2007, 08:02 AM

If we trade Shaub for pick 17 we better pray that Landry or Nelson runs 4.30 at the combine then goes in the top 9 meaning someone slips to 10 DE DT or HB and we still get the other safety at 17

D-Rod
01-16-2007, 08:23 AM

If we trade Shaub for pick 17 we better pray that Landry or Nelson runs 4.30 at the combine then goes in the top 9 meaning someone slips to 10 DE DT or HB and we still get the other safety at 17

No way that either guy runs a 4.30.

Landry is probably expected to run around a 4.50, and his perceived lack of speed is really the only thing preventing him from being an elite prospect. However, a low-mid 4.4 is quite possible, and would put that concern to rest.

Nelson is probably expected to run around the 4.40 mark, though if he can break 4.4 then that will solidify him around mid-1st.

As you said, A great scenario would be this:

Trade Schaub for #17.

Draft Anderson or Adams at #10 (i don't think a S will be the guy to push one out of the top 9, but there will surely be one surprise, eg. trade up);
Then draft whichever of the safeties falls to #17 (again, fingers crossed).

Our D would be set to dominate with those two additions.

Shiver
01-16-2007, 11:54 AM
As for the corner pick, if we take a corner it won't be Leon Hall, because his marginal speed will catch up to him at the combine. I think his stock will go down, prior to the draft. The Corner I like is Darrelle Revis.

As for the concept of drafting a corner; we honestly don't know how Petrino and his staff will evaluate Jimmy Williams. If they move Williams to Safety, I wouldn't mind, he definitely has the characteristics of the position. He can cover deep middle, and is an awesome tackler.

iloxygenil
01-16-2007, 12:23 PM
As for the corner pick, if we take a corner it won't be Leon Hall, because his marginal speed will catch up to him at the combine. I think his stock will go down, prior to the draft. The Corner I like is Darrelle Revis.

As for the concept of drafting a corner; we honestly don't know how Petrino and his staff will evaluate Jimmy Williams. If they move Williams to Safety, I wouldn't mind, he definitely has the characteristics of the position. He can cover deep middle, and is an awesome tackler.
Okay, I'm over this whole Jimmy to Safety thing, if we could land a corner like Revis I'd be okay with that, but at the same time I like Jimmy at corner, then Revis could be Nickel and Punt / Kick returns...wow...that'd be nice. Leon Hall is a solid corner, but I see him as a Jason Webster type. Never belongs as anything more than a nickelback in the NFL. Which we shouldn't spend a first round pick on. *shrug* I really wish Cason would have declared, I really like him, but I guess next year we can look at him.

If Petrino lets Webster walk then I think we'll have to bring in a day 1 corner, but I like Josh Wilson as a 2nd / 3rd round prospect, I also really like that Marquice Cole kid on the 2nd day. I think the best value for a DB is had there. Deangelo is great, and he's panned out very well, and I'm glad for that, but we can't invest really high picks on corners anymore, especially since I think Jimmy is going to be our starter at RCB

Shiver
01-16-2007, 12:27 PM
He might be, but we don't know. Most NFL teams looked at him last year as a Safety, which is why his stock dropped. We don't know what Zimmer has planned.

D-Rod
01-16-2007, 01:22 PM
He might be, but we don't know. Most NFL teams looked at him last year as a Safety, which is why his stock dropped. We don't know what Zimmer has planned.

You're right, a huge amount for #10 will depend on how Zimmer views Jimmy. However, we're not going to know that until training camp. And maybe not til well into the preseason.

My guess is that they go with the status quo at least to start with. If they don't think it's working, perhaps then they'll change him over. One thing to bear in mind, Emmit Smith is still there as DB coach. Presumably he was one of the guys who viewed JW as a CB, unless Zonatell was over-ruling him, so I'd guess that the new staff listens to his opinion at the outset.

And actually I think that if we do end up with Hall, Williams, and Hall, it's not a slam dunk that it'd be Williams switching to safety.

Williams may be a little slower than some great CBs, but he makes up for it with the size matchup. L.Hall, on the other hand, is also a little slow, but doesn't quite have the elite height of Williams. What he DOES have is great zone instincts!, added to very solid tackling. If we're going to play man-coverage, safety deep zone, then Leon might actually make a better FS than Jimmy.

But in that case, why not just take Landry, who has four years of FS experience and production!... which is what I hope we'd do in that situation. I am gradually convincing myself that Landry is worth '10 after all. Bring on the combine.

Shiver
01-16-2007, 01:44 PM
I can't wait until the Combine.

Shiver
01-16-2007, 01:45 PM
From PFW's the way we hear it;

Details of what Bobby Petrino plans to do with the Falcons’ offense are beginning to emerge from Atlanta. We hear Petrino will call the plays, but new offensive coordinator Hue Jackson, who was the WR coach with the Bengals the last three seasons, will likely have a role as the passing-game coordinator. Petrino retained assistants Ollie Wilson, who coaches the running backs, and QB coach Bill Musgrave, much to the delight of QB Michael Vick. We’re told to expect deeper drops from Vick and more vertical passes. We also hear the Falcons will start transitioning out of their zone-blocking scheme, which has helped produce the top rushing unit in the NFL the past three seasons, because the offensive coaches who taught that technique, including consultant Alex Gibbs, were not retained. Our sources expect the Falcons to begin to bring in bigger offensive linemen to develop a more traditional blocking scheme. We’re also told RB Warrick Dunn will be back in 2007, but he may not be the primary ballcarrier. Petrino used bigger tailbacks at Louisville, and he may opt to acquire a power runner in the offseason.

D-Rod
01-16-2007, 01:54 PM
Hmm, that's interesting. Scott seems convinced that the former staff had already decided to move JW to safety. (I've actually sent him an email to ask where he heard that, even if just on the grapevine). I guess that would make the Nelson/Landry debate somewhat redundant, and start off the Hall/Revis debate... :wink:

Why don't I start it off.

Hall over Revis, but would probably prefer to trade down if we are going to draft a CB to around #20 for Revis or McCauley.

Actually, thinking about it, it would REALLY suck if we have to draft CB again and wait a year for him to develop properly...

Shiver
01-16-2007, 02:56 PM
I'm asking the Cowboys fans about Zimmer's preference about Corners, where they think he will put Williams.

iloxygenil
01-16-2007, 03:30 PM
Our former coaching staff sucked. Jimmy has been ready to play for WEEKS before they finally put him on the field, and it was obvious as he was one of our best defensive players. This coaching staff will not make that mistake. They will put people out there and let them learn, just like we did with Deangelo before.

There were MANY things the previous staff did that were foolish, and prolly cost us games. I can't wait to see what happens with this new staff, I think Petrino may be more likely to play players younger because of his experiences in college, it may cost him some, but in the long run I think it helps our team a LOT. Leaders can lead no matter what their age, these guys have been playing football their whole life, and I think there's a reason so many rookie RBs are successful, it's because they are allowed to just go out there and play, I think we'll see more of a turnover to rookies everywhere in the NFL.

I would like to see Jimmy stay at corner, I like him as a FS as well though, because he'd be one of the harder hitting, better tackling safetys in the league, not to mention the fastest. He'd be able to be a big time playmaker, but I don't want him having to make the defensive adjustments etc that a Safety has to do, I like him locked up man on man so he only has that 1 thing to think about.

If we do move him, then I think Revis would be a great choice, because of his abilities as a return man as well. I think our special teams needs to be addressed, look what Hester did for Chicago, and a good kicker would be great too. Maybe someone like Crosby even as early as the third round, I would be fine with. I konw it's early to get a kicker, but Mort can't kick forever, and that can cost us games, he doesn't have the leg to kick 50+ anymore, we need someone who does.

D-Rod
01-16-2007, 03:58 PM
the more i think about it, the more it would stink to have JW not be able to cut it at CB...

I'd much rather have Landry starting as a rookie at FS than L.Hall or Revis starting at CB as a rookie.

Frankly, he looked just fine to me at the end of last season. But I guess Zimmer and co may know more about it than me... :wink: We shall see...

Bem1
01-16-2007, 04:36 PM
what would you guys think if we picked landry at 10 and then picked a guy like anthony spencer of victor abiamiri in the second?

Shiver
01-16-2007, 04:38 PM
I would love Landry. In the second, I would draft Arron Sears or Tony Ugoh to play Left Tackle.

DraftMichaelHuff
01-16-2007, 04:45 PM
Have any of you guys (shiver especially) got any snippits or heard any rublings of what scott says about the old coaching staffs desire to have Jimmy Williams at safety?. honestly i can only remember Mora being adamant that Jimmy was a corner and nothing else all throughout the year. The NFC south is probably the most impoartant division in the league to have a bigger corner due to the recievers we go up againt week in week out.

As you said, A great scenario would be this:

Trade Schaub for #17.

Draft Anderson or Adams at #10 (i don't think a S will be the guy to push one out of the top 9, but there will surely be one surprise, eg. trade up);
Then draft whichever of the safeties falls to #17 (again, fingers crossed).

I think that would be the most perfect and most realistic situation as long as week get that pick from the jags if we can pull off the trade im sure someone will reach but for who?

D-Rod wrote
No way that either guy runs a 4.30.
lol i kinda said that tounge in cheek but you never know

Shiver
01-16-2007, 04:49 PM
Well, Jimmy Williams only got playtime in 2-TE formations. In 3-WR sets, he wasn't on the field, period. So it seemed as if the Mora regime viewed Williams as more of a Safety. He didn't play at corner until Webster and Mathis were both knocked out for the year.

DraftMichaelHuff
01-16-2007, 04:50 PM
I would love Landry. In the second, I would draft Arron Sears or Tony Ugoh to play Left Tackle.
You a bit over Joe Staley? Id still like an athletic (but powerful) LT myself, like Staley who would be capable of both blocking schemes but Ugoh would be fine too as a 2nd priority. When it comes on LG however i would love Blaylock or a guy like Manual Remerez <-- who reminds me of Larry Alenn, probably just the strengh side the guy is build like a olympic weightlifter

Shiver
01-16-2007, 04:54 PM
I trust Left Tackles, who have experience against SEC opponents. Staley has the look, but not the experience, and even if he can play on this level, he isn't ready from day one.

DraftMichaelHuff
01-16-2007, 05:03 PM
fair enough point taken.

I dont think i would really know what to do if we drafted Levi Brown and then Manual Remeriz can you imagine ATL with two O Lineman, both of which Scott Wright describes as "once they're locked in the battle is over"

Vick might get sacked a few times because he would be just staring in a state of astonishment after the snap because the left side of his O Line is actually pushing people back :shock:

D-Rod
01-16-2007, 05:27 PM
fair enough point taken.

I dont think i would really know what to do if we drafted Levi Brown and then Manual Remeriz can you imagine ATL with two O Lineman, both of which Scott Wright describes as "once they're locked in the battle is over"

Vick might get sacked a few times because he would be just staring in a state of astonishment after the snap because the left side of his O Line is actually pushing people back :shock:

If you're going that route:

How about Levi Brown at #10 and Blalock at #17... that should add some power to that left side, eh? (not convinced by Brown in PassProt, though...)

Seriously though, if we did somehow get a mid-late 1st round pick, I'd love to get Blalock. I never understand why people give OG's such low value as first rounders. Let's have a look at some of the teams who have taken OG's in the 1st round recently:

Pittsburgh
New England
Philly
Seattle

Hmmm, pretty unsuccessful teams.

If we don't address LG in FA or the first day, I will cry (or pray that Ojinnaka is somehow ready to roll...).

Shiver
01-16-2007, 05:28 PM
According to several sources; one of which is a composite panel of NFL scouts, had Levi Brown as a top-5 Senior prospect. At 6'5" 330-lbs, he would definitely be what were looking for, in transitioning out of the Zone Blocking Scheme. He has had four years of starting in the Big Ten at Left Tackle. Both him and Tony Ugoh seem like they are poised to go in the middle area, between our 1st and 2nd round picks. I actually would prefer a trade down, more than anything.

Protect Michael Vick and he stays in the pocket and makes accurate throws.

That's what he said this year. We didn't do that, nearly enough last year, with most of the pressure occurring from Gandy and Lehr.

D-Rod
01-16-2007, 05:46 PM
According to several sources; one of which is a composite panel of NFL scouts, had Levi Brown as a top-5 Senior prospect. At 6'5" 330-lbs, he would definitely be what were looking for, in transitioning out of the Zone Blocking Scheme. He has had four years of starting in the Big Ten at Left Tackle. Both him and Tony Ugoh seem like they are poised to go in the middle area, between our 1st and 2nd round picks. I actually would prefer a trade down, more than anything.

That's what he said this year. We didn't do that, nearly enough last year, with most of the pressure occurring from Gandy and Lehr.

I'm hoping that Brown has a good combine, and does prove himself a top-10 prospect. However, I've heard a lot of people questioning his ability to be an LT at the next level, mainly concerned about his feet. What do you think? I'm just not quite convinced yet...

But we HAVE to do something about our LT situation.

Here's a question: could Steinbach legitimately play LT? I think so, and he has done so occasionally for the bungles with decent success. if so, i'd love to sign him in FA; he'd be affordable as a net addition, given that we'd be able to offload Gandy's 3.5mill cap hit (Stein would probably earn 5-6 mill/year). It's easier to draft an elite OG than elite OT.

I'm not sure that I share your confidence in SEC LTs. Yes, its a good level of comp., but neither Ugoh or Sears exactly fill me with immediate enthusiasm, and I want someone to START next year...

scar988
01-16-2007, 06:26 PM
I'm asking the Cowboys fans about Zimmer's preference about Corners, where they think he will put Williams.Zimmer runs a lot of man.. I mean ALOT! the thing with Zimmer is that he likes to send both safeties in what he calls a zero blitz and then has his corners in man and LB's in zone.

Shiver
01-16-2007, 06:46 PM
So having a 6'2", 215-lbs, corner with iffy hips is a good thing? Jimmy Williams' as a corner was viewed as a Cover 2 corner by most.

Number 10
01-16-2007, 06:47 PM
I know you guys need some secondary help, but if a safety can be brought in via FA, what do you think about a trade up to obtain Adrian Peterson?

Shiver
01-16-2007, 06:50 PM

I'm hoping that Brown has a good combine, and does prove himself a top-10 prospect. However, I've heard a lot of people questioning his ability to be an LT at the next level, mainly concerned about his feet. What do you think? I'm just not quite convinced yet...

People said the same things about Marcus McNeil and Jammal Brown as well.

But we HAVE to do something about our LT situation.

I'm not sure that I share your confidence in SEC LTs. Yes, its a good level of comp., but neither Ugoh or Sears exactly fill me with immediate enthusiasm, and I want someone to START next year...

When I said that about SEC LTs, it was in contrast to Joe Staley, who played at Western Michigan. That is way to big of a gap between competition levels.

Shiver
01-16-2007, 06:51 PM
I know you guys need some secondary help, but if a safety can be brought in via FA, what do you think about a trade up to obtain Adrian Peterson?

Our odds are strong towards trading DOWN, not up. At least by early indications. We have too many needs to fill in the draft as it is, per Rich McKay.

d34ng3l021
01-16-2007, 06:51 PM
Well if Zimmer does like to run alot of man, then I think Jimmy would stay at corner, because he excels at man to man, rather than zone (zone might even be a problem for him).

With that said, I am wondering who I would rather have between Reggie Nelson and Laron Landry. Ones in the mold of Ed Reed, and the other is in the mold of Brain Dawkins. Tough choices. What do you guys say when people call Laron Landry overated and basically living off his first couple years at LSU? His stats have decreased but is that cause he is shutting off his side of the field? I havent had a chance to see him play, but I am always hearing how he blows coverages and things...How is he? I really like Nelson and I think his closing speed is amazing. He would be a guy like Reed or Polamalu who can take away the deep pass by just playing back and zooming in on the ball once its in the air. But alot of people question whether or not he is worth the top10 pick. We will just have to wait til the combine I guess.

And I am not a big fan of Levi Brown in the first. I heard he might not even play tackle in the NFL because lack of athleticness.

Also, I really like Grubbs in the 2nd or 3rd.

Number 10
01-16-2007, 06:52 PM

Our odds are strong towards trading DOWN, not up. At least by early indications. We have too many needs to fill in the draft as it is, per Rich McKay.

I know I know....but AP has a good chance at falling to 6 or 7, just wanted to see if it was at all possible. Petrino likes physical RBs and he knows how to use them.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-16-2007, 07:06 PM
Well if Zimmer does like to run alot of man, then I think Jimmy would stay at corner, because he excels at man to man, rather than zone (zone might even be a problem for him).

With that said, I am wondering who I would rather have between Reggie Nelson and Laron Landry. Ones in the mold of Ed Reed, and the other is in the mold of Brain Dawkins. Tough choices. What do you guys say when people call Laron Landry overated and basically living off his first couple years at LSU? His stats have decreased but is that cause he is shutting off his side of the field? I havent had a chance to see him play, but I am always hearing how he blows coverages and things...How is he? I really like Nelson and I think his closing speed is amazing. He would be a guy like Reed or Polamalu who can take away the deep pass by just playing back and zooming in on the ball once its in the air. But alot of people question whether or not he is worth the top10 pick. We will just have to wait til the combine I guess.

And I am not a big fan of Levi Brown in the first. I heard he might not even play tackle in the NFL because lack of athleticness.

Also, I really like Grubbs in the 2nd or 3rd.

LaRon Landry was the leader of a defense for 4 years. Nuff said.

Shiver
01-16-2007, 09:44 PM

I know I know....but AP has a good chance at falling to 6 or 7, just wanted to see if it was at all possible. Petrino likes physical RBs and he knows how to use them.

If a trade up occurs, it won't be with one of the Falcons' picks, it would be with Schaub and #10 overall to do so.

Shiver
01-16-2007, 09:45 PM
It sounds as if Jason Webster and Wayne Gandy will be the cap cuts. Currently the team is 12$ Million under, not bad, but not great. Those two would significantly help.

iloxygenil
01-16-2007, 10:08 PM
It sounds as if Jason Webster and Wayne Gandy will be the cap cuts. Currently the team is 12$ Million under, not bad, but not great. Those two would significantly help.
WOOHOOO! Get them outta here! I can't wait to see em gone!

Shiver
01-16-2007, 10:11 PM
But that means Left Tackle is up in the air. Unless;

Frank Omiyale is ready to step up, and transition from prospect to player.
Todd Weiner can move to Left Tackle.

I doubt both of those. So in my mind; that is the Draft's top priority. Because there is literally no Left Tackles, worth talking about, in Free Agency. I say trade down and select Levi Brown.

Shiver
01-16-2007, 11:48 PM
Our coaching staff is rounded;

OFFENSE (Years of Coaching Experience)

Offensive Coordinator -- Hue Jackson (20)
Quarterbacks -- Bill Musgrave (10)
Running Backs -- Ollie Wilson (32)
Offensive Line -- Mike Summers (25)
Wide Receivers -- Paul Petrino (17)
Tight Ends -- Keith Rowen (32)
Offensive Assistant -- Derrick Nix (4)
Offensive Quality Control -- Andy Sugarman (14)

DEFENSE

Defensive Coordinator -- Mike Zimmer (28 )
Defensive Line -- Kevin Wolthausen (26)
Linebackers -- Brian VanGorder (26)
Defensive Backs -- Emmitt Thomas (28 )
Assistant Defensive Backs -- Joe Whitt, Jr. (6)
Defensive Quality Control -- Jon Gannon (1)

SPECIAL TEAMS

Assistant Special Teams -- Tom McMahon (15)

STRENGTH AND CONDITIONING

Head Strength and Conditioning -- Evan Marcus (16)

I love the Keith Rowen hire. :shock:

Rowen, 54, will serve as the Falcons tight ends coach after spending the past season and a half as the offensive coordinator of the Arizona Cardinals. He returns to Atlanta after spending four years with the team in different capacities from 1990-93. In 2005, Rowen helped guide the Cardinals to the top ranked passing offense in the NFL for the first time in team history as the team established several franchise records along the way. With 32 years of coaching experience, Rowen came to the Cardinals after spending the previous six seasons with the Kansas City Chiefs as the tight ends coach. The Chiefs ranked in the top five in league in points scored and total offense from 2002-04. Rowen had an opportunity to coach one of the top tight ends in the NFL in Tony Gonzalez, who enjoyed six consecutive Pro Bowl seasons, all of which came under Rowen's guidance.

d34ng3l021
01-17-2007, 02:42 AM
So I just watched some Ed Reed highlights, and I say we take Nelson with 10.

Shiver
01-17-2007, 02:43 AM
If we trade down maybe.

d34ng3l021
01-17-2007, 02:46 AM
If we trade down maybe.

Thad be fine. As long as we get a playmaking safety (too absorbed in the Dawkins vs Reed thread)...

Imagine if we got Jamaal Anderson with our 10th pick and then with our Schaub pick we get Reggie Nelson.

At least a man can dream.

Shiver
01-17-2007, 02:49 AM
I just want a Left side of the O-Line, and a competent secondary. The rest is gravy. Honestly, we had better have two good starters, one at LT, one at LG or I will be furious.

d34ng3l021
01-17-2007, 02:59 AM
I just want a Left side of the O-Line, and a competent secondary. The rest is gravy. Honestly, we had better have two good starters, one at LT, one at LG or I will be furious.

I dont like any 1st round tackles for us. Joe Thomas would be great but wont be avilable and I am not a big fan of Levi Brown. Who else is there?

I like Staley though.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-17-2007, 05:10 AM
I don't like Reggie that much. He is not built to be a safety, and his ankle tackling/arm tackling techniques will not work nearly as well on NFL players.

D-Rod
01-17-2007, 05:46 AM
I don't like Reggie that much. He is not built to be a safety, and his ankle tackling/arm tackling techniques will not work nearly as well on NFL players.

i dunno, i think that he is a natural tackler, and more solid tackling can certainly be taught. however, i'd still take landry ahead of him as long as landry doesn't run a really slow 40.

D-Rod
01-17-2007, 05:48 AM
Just getting really annoyed about the absence of decent LTs in the draft and FA...

Predictable that the year we absolutely need an LT, there is none to be had. K-rap.

falconsrule
01-17-2007, 07:15 AM
I say we take a LT if that is the need....People are always going to want the "skill players" but the O-Line is really where everything starts for your offense

Merkurius
01-17-2007, 08:50 AM
we need more draft picks. i think we should trade down and pick up maybe a third and a later first with the first we SHOULD get for Schaub and draft a lot of prospects for the o-line. mcclure and weiner arent gonna get it done. the only bright spot is forney and hes becoming injury-prone. our offense is based upon the performance of the o-line. if vick gets the time then he can make better throws and our run game gets even better.

iloxygenil
01-17-2007, 09:29 AM
There are some very good LTs this year. Tony Ugoh and Joe Staley would both be great here in Atlanta, those are the 2 guys I'm targeting in the 2nd round right now. I like em both, oh and Arron Sears is solid too. He's very strong, and is quick enough. I'm sick of seeing overly speedy linemen who have no strength, I want someone who can maul a guy if he has to.

Merkurius
01-17-2007, 09:37 AM
I'm sick of seeing overly speedy linemen who have no strength, I want someone who can maul a guy if he has to.

YES! i'm so sick of the zone blocking sceme. i want a pro bowl tackle on this team. an ogden or a chris samuels. they need to look more like grady jackson. :P

D-Rod
01-17-2007, 10:52 AM
With the LT issue, the big question is WHEN we want it fixed. Yes, Staley, Harris, Ugoh, and Sears could all become very good tackles. But that would after a year of being sub-par as rookies; i don't think even the most optimistic of us could expect them to come in and perform straight away. Staley, in particular, has a great upside but is very raw.

Maybe one of them will do a McNeil - though remember, none of them have anything like the physique of McNeil - but that is hardly something we can rely on going into the start of a new season. Odds would be firmly against.

So, do we suk it up, live with Gandy for one more year, but draft Staley (if still there!) in the 2nd round and let him learn the ropes for a year? Or do we try to get a starter straight away. In the draft, only Levi Brown is a possibility, depending how he works out. In FA, Mike Gandy and Steinbach could be possibilities.

Frankly, I don't know. It's a pretty awful situation in which to find ourselves. Normally I have only praise for McKay, but he really put us in a hole for LT.

D-Rod
01-17-2007, 11:01 AM
Right, I'm fed up of worrying about who we are going to bring in at LT.

So I'm turning to the X-factor - or should that be O-factor?

Frank Omiyale, take a bow.

The man has disappeared for two years, with only faint rumours of his rising and falling in the estimation of the coaching staff.

He has the physique. He has received the grounding. Could he face the fire, and triumph?

Nobody knows.

------

It's fair comment that if he was good enough, he'd have played by now, given the struggles of Gandy.

Maybe so: but remember, the former staff had a nasty habit of playing veterans however badly they stunk. It's not necessarily an indication that Omiyale isn't worth a shot.

Also, you might point out that Ojinnaka was promoted ahead of him, to the active roster.

Maybe so: but remember, we only carry 7 active lineman, so versatility is the key, and Oji could play OG/OT, whereas Omi is purely LT.

------

Nobody can know what is to come from Omiyale, but he has completed the journey expected of him when he was drafted... 2 years to adjust to the NFL, learn what it takes.

He may not have played a game yet, but he has been practicising against NFL players for two years (and has impressed Kerney, for one).

At some point, I hope he gets a chance. He would certainly solve an enormous problem for us if he has reached maturity.

Nobody knows. But we shall see.

(There, i feel better already).

Shiver
01-17-2007, 11:16 AM
Well it could be worse. A lot of teams need O-Line help, and someone is going to be screwed. Yes, as a rookie, these players won't be all that good. But they won't be any worse than Wayne Gandy has been. A rookie with potential > A 36-year old that is a liability.

D-Rod
01-17-2007, 11:19 AM
Well it could be worse. A lot of teams need O-Line help, and someone is going to be screwed. Yes, as a rookie, these players won't be all that good. But they won't be any worse than Wayne Gandy has been. A rookie with potential > A 36-year old that is a liability.

Don't worry, just Thank Frank.

(yes, yes, i agree that a rookie is better idea than sticking with Gandy... but i really think we are contenders next year if we can fix that LT spot straight away!)

iloxygenil
01-17-2007, 11:54 AM
I'd really like Joe Thomas! lol. But really think Blaylock and Ugoh may be the best combo of picks for our first 2 selections

Merkurius
01-17-2007, 01:19 PM
who do you think will be the kicker next season? is mort returning?

bearsfan_51
01-17-2007, 01:20 PM
Best.

Name.

Ever.

iloxygenil
01-17-2007, 01:27 PM
Can't say who it will be, have no idea if Mort is coming back, he doesn't have much to come back for, he has the all time scoring record, but he could want to push it out there a little farther. I'm not sure. I think we'll see a kicker picked up in unrestricted rookie FAs...unless we can pickup Crosby later in the draft, 3rd or later.

Shiver
01-17-2007, 05:05 PM
Man, we have too many needs.. :(

Power RB
LT
LG
FS
SS
CB depth
DT depth
DE depth
K

iloxygenil
01-17-2007, 05:56 PM
Man, we have too many needs.. :(

Power RB
LT
LG
FS
SS
CB depth
DT depth
DE depth
K
Those aren't all needs though.

SS and "depth" aren't needs.

iloxygenil
01-17-2007, 05:58 PM
Our real NEEDS...I would say are

LT, LG, and FS.

Our desires would be

Power RB, SS, and depth

Shiver
01-17-2007, 06:19 PM
Here is my plan;

Sign Kris Dielman to be our Left Guard
Draft Laron Landry in first.
Draft Arron Sears in the second.
Go BPA to secure depth and role contributors.

d34ng3l021
01-17-2007, 07:25 PM
So I am attempting to creating a highlight video...Are there any plays that stand out from the Carolina, TB, Arizona, Giants, Pitt, Cincy, Dallas games? I am trying to get the Washington, 2nd NO, and 2nd TB games but Im sure ill find em...

iloxygenil
01-17-2007, 08:01 PM
Jenkins had a very nice play against Carolina. His 1 handed grab was also insane. Jerious had his run against Arizona. Uh...I dunno what else.

Shiver
01-17-2007, 09:29 PM
The Steelers, Cowboys and Bengals games are loaded with Michael Vick highlight worthy plays.

Shiver
01-17-2007, 10:06 PM
Scar; I saved your sig for later use. Hopefully if a certain situation blows over. Good lord Michael, what the hell?

Poet3334
01-17-2007, 10:26 PM
http://www.nbc6.net/news/10778218/detail.html

Anyone have any more info?

Shiver
01-17-2007, 10:48 PM
Is Michael trying to alienate his team and fans? If so he is doing a fine job. What a shame. Yes, while I do concede that most players do Marijuana, there is a different standard in which Quarterbacks are judged. Michael Vick is supposed to be the leader of the team, and the cliche 'face of the franchise.' Not only that; but the last thing he and the Falcons need is more controversy and negativity. We all know Arthur Blank is image conscious, well, image crazy is more like it. Already with whispers around the league that the Falcons aren't "married" to Vick, this could further drive a wedge between Vick and the franchise.

d34ng3l021
01-17-2007, 11:13 PM
Oh come on....

Shiver
01-18-2007, 12:41 AM
Oh come on....

When it rains it pours. First came the four game slide, then the 'flip', then the 'U-Dub' comments, missing the playoffs, Mora fired, Petrino hired, "Falcons aren't married to Vick," and now this! This is just getting ridiculous. No other team is the circus this one is. Well, maybe the Bengals and Chargers could argue.

Number 10
01-18-2007, 12:50 AM
Would I be out of this world if I thought that the following trade was possible.

Pats trade

Franchised CB Asante Samuel
2nd rounder

Falcons trade

#10 overall

Shiver
01-18-2007, 12:53 AM
Eh, it's out there. But the value seems to work. Samuel goes to RCB, Jimmy Williams goes to FS, and the Falcons have one of the best secondary in the NFL. It won't happen, but conjecture is fun. 8)

Number 10
01-18-2007, 12:54 AM
Eh, it's out there. But the value seems to work. Samuel goes to RCB, Jimmy Williams goes to FS, and the Falcons have one of the best secondary in the NFL. It won't happen, but conjecture is fun. 8)

Yeh I was thinking about putting that in my mock that I have been working on. Just something out of the box and to change it up a little.

Shiver
01-18-2007, 01:51 AM
A new article;

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/01/17/0118falcons.html

With new Falcons head coach Bobby Petrino and his staff in the early phases of determining how the team will look in 2007, interviews with some high-ranking team officials, including president and general manager Rich McKay, shed some light on the makeup of next season's team.

This is the good stuff.

One thing's certain; quarterback Michael Vick is not getting traded. He's not getting cut. He's not going anywhere. Barring injury, Vick is the Falcons' starting quarterback.

"Absolutely," McKay said.

In other news; the ocean consists of water. Seriously though; the Falcons won't be able to get rid of Vick, until '08, from just an economic standpoint.

Petrino and his staff are watching film without input from holdover staff members in order to make unprejudiced judgments of the current roster, McKay said. In a few weeks the coaching staff and personnel department will share opinions about players under contract to see how the Falcons will proceed in the draft and free agency.

Here is a position-by-position breakdown:

Quarterback - Vick is The Guy. The Falcons expect backup Matt Schaub, a restricted free agent, to draw interest in the open market. While they won't pursue trade opportunities, they will listen. If Schaub is back, he will be the backup. If Schaub leaves, D.J. Shockley could move into the No. 2 position, in which case the Falcons would sign a veteran free agent.

Let's hope someone blows them away with an offer.

Fullback - Justin Griffith is a free agent, and it is unknown if he fits the plans of Petrino's staff. Atlanta seemingly would want to re-sign Griffith but that's no slam-dunk. Griffith has drawn outside interest.

Come to think about it; Petrino's offenses didn't utilize the Tight End that often. I would miss him if that is the case.

Tailback - Leading rusher Warrick Dunn will be back, as will speedster Jerious Norwood, but expect the Falcons to either draft or sign a veteran with some brawn to fit Petrino's power run game. With the No. 10 pick, a banger like Oklahoma's Adrian Peterson could elicit consideration.

If Peterson were to slip, which I doubt. I think a cheap, one dimensional, goal-line back is the way to go.

Tight End - Alge Crumpler could be even more of a force in Petrino's system. Eric Beverly could actually return to his roots as a backup interior lineman. Rookie Daniel Fells, who was on the practice squad, could push Dwayne Blakley.

Beverly doesn't fit Petrino's offense. I'm not even sure he should be on the roster. I wouldn't mind adding another H-Back type later in the draft.

Wide Receiver - Ashley Lelie is being evaluated, but he has strong in-house support. The Falcons could push to re-sign the free agent but might not break the bank to keep him. The team is still showing patience with 2005 first-rounder Roddy White. Don't expect Atlanta to draft a wide receiver in the first round unless Georgia Tech's Calvin Johnson is somehow sitting there gift-wrapped for them.

I wouldn't mind resigning Lelie, in our spread packages we will need receivers, even with Finneran coming back. Besides, he fits better in this offense, than the Knapp one. He wasn't utilized right under Knapp, then again, almost everyone wasn't.

Offensive Line - The Falcons are going to move away from the sleek, zone-blocking bodies and get some beef up front for the running and passing games. Left tackle Wayne Gandy had a high salary-cap number but was viewed as valuable and could be back.

We might be forced to, especially since the options in the draft look bleak. If we keep Gandy; then Left Guard becomes the priority. I would love to grab a Derrick Dockery or Kris Dielman in Free Agency, or Ben Grubbs in the draft.

Kicking game - Atlanta has the rights to free agent punter/kickoff specialist Michael Koenen and plans to bring him back. Morten Anderson could be back, but the Falcons might pursue an experienced, younger placekicker.

Yeah, I don't buy Morten staying effective. He was only good this year due to his leg being fresh.

Defensive end - Patrick Kerney will be an unrestricted free agent, and there are no guarantees he won't sign elsewhere. There have been good-faith negotiations between Kerney and the Falcons for months. If he bolts, that could completely change Atlanta's free-agent and draft plans.

This is something to watch for, certainly.

Defensive tackle - There might not be any changes at either defensive tackle spot, although some big bodies could be brought in to push backup nose tackles Darrell Shropshire and T.J. Jackson.

I agree, nothing fancy, but we need some more security at Nose Tackle.

Outside linebacker - Michael Boley and Keith Brooking are fixtures. Demorrio Williams is a restricted free agent, but the Falcons aren't going to let him get away, especially with the way new defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer likes to turn his athletic players loose.

Our strongest position. I would love to keep Williams on to be our Nickel LB. He is awesome in that role.

Middle linebacker - Ed Hartwell has not been healthy since signing a six-year, $26.25 million free-agent deal in 2005. He has to prove he's worth the money during offseason workouts or Atlanta might have to move in another direction (Jordan Beck is a viable option). Hartwell played for new linebackers coach Brian VanGorder at Western Illinois.

Sounds like Hartwell is a keeping, I didn't know about the VanGorder connection. I am going to give him the benefit of a doubt that he hasn't been healthy.

Right cornerback - This could be the most interesting position to watch. Rookie Jimmy Williams is still being viewed as a cornerback, but a move to free safety hasn't been ruled out. Jason Webster's support within the organization was with the previous coaching staff. His departure isn't a given, though, with Williams' uncertainty at the position and a lack of overall depth at corner. Backup Allen Rossum, who also returns punts and kickoffs, could be on the bubble.

So his position is Corner ... for now. I have a feeling that they will be flexible. If they secure a competent Free Safety, no need to move Williams. If they don't that could be interesting, and Corner bolts to the top of needs.

Left cornerback - DeAngelo Hall is a lock. Zimmer might let him play more man coverages. Zimmer will challenge Hall, and he brings some credibility since he coached Hall's mentor Deion Sanders.

That is a good thing. We need Hall to take the next step.

Strong safety - Though under the radar, no player did more for the Falcons last season than Lawyer Milloy. Free safety Chris Crocker could emerge as his backup.

Milloy is a great fit, especially in the Roy Williams' role. As long as he isn't forced to play deep center he is a fine player and leader.

Free safety - rocker was an improvement against the run, but the natural strong safety struggled in deep pass coverage. Atlanta could very well use its top draft pick to select a free safety.

Landry, Nelson, Williams? Who knows at this point. This is clearly one of the biggest needs on the team.

d34ng3l021
01-18-2007, 02:37 AM
A new article;

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/01/17/0118falcons.html

With new Falcons head coach Bobby Petrino and his staff in the early phases of determining how the team will look in 2007, interviews with some high-ranking team officials, including president and general manager Rich McKay, shed some light on the makeup of next season's team.

This is the good stuff.

One thing's certain; quarterback Michael Vick is not getting traded. He's not getting cut. He's not going anywhere. Barring injury, Vick is the Falcons' starting quarterback.

"Absolutely," McKay said.

In other news; the ocean consists of water. Seriously though; the Falcons won't be able to get rid of Vick, until '08, from just an economic standpoint.

Petrino and his staff are watching film without input from holdover staff members in order to make unprejudiced judgments of the current roster, McKay said. In a few weeks the coaching staff and personnel department will share opinions about players under contract to see how the Falcons will proceed in the draft and free agency.

Here is a position-by-position breakdown:

Quarterback - Vick is The Guy. The Falcons expect backup Matt Schaub, a restricted free agent, to draw interest in the open market. While they won't pursue trade opportunities, they will listen. If Schaub is back, he will be the backup. If Schaub leaves, D.J. Shockley could move into the No. 2 position, in which case the Falcons would sign a veteran free agent.

Let's hope someone blows them away with an offer. Yep

Fullback - Justin Griffith is a free agent, and it is unknown if he fits the plans of Petrino's staff. Atlanta seemingly would want to re-sign Griffith but that's no slam-dunk. Griffith has drawn outside interest.

Come to think about it; Petrino's offenses didn't utilize the Tight End that often. I would miss him if that is the case. I would be so mad if we got rid of him. He is a really dangerous weapon if used correctly. He should ALWAYS run flats at the goaline. They cant stop him. Not to mention he is great at blocking.

Tailback - Leading rusher Warrick Dunn will be back, as will speedster Jerious Norwood, but expect the Falcons to either draft or sign a veteran with some brawn to fit Petrino's power run game. With the No. 10 pick, a banger like Oklahoma's Adrian Peterson could elicit consideration.

If Peterson were to slip, which I doubt. I think a cheap, one dimensional, goal-line back is the way to go. Agreed. Who else out of Bush is there?

Tight End - Alge Crumpler could be even more of a force in Petrino's system. Eric Beverly could actually return to his roots as a backup interior lineman. Rookie Daniel Fells, who was on the practice squad, could push Dwayne Blakley.

Beverly doesn't fit Petrino's offense. I'm not even sure he should be on the roster. I wouldn't mind adding another H-Back type later in the draft. Maybe we keep him for blocking purposes?

Wide Receiver - Ashley Lelie is being evaluated, but he has strong in-house support. The Falcons could push to re-sign the free agent but might not break the bank to keep him. The team is still showing patience with 2005 first-rounder Roddy White. Don't expect Atlanta to draft a wide receiver in the first round unless Georgia Tech's Calvin Johnson is somehow sitting there gift-wrapped for them.

I wouldn't mind resigning Lelie, in our spread packages we will need receivers, even with Finneran coming back. Besides, he fits better in this offense, than the Knapp one. He wasn't utilized right under Knapp, then again, almost everyone wasn't. Eh. He started the season well, but started to really slip...kinda iffy on resigning him.

Offensive Line - The Falcons are going to move away from the sleek, zone-blocking bodies and get some beef up front for the running and passing games. Left tackle Wayne Gandy had a high salary-cap number but was viewed as valuable and could be back.

We might be forced to, especially since the options in the draft look bleak. If we keep Gandy; then Left Guard becomes the priority. I would love to grab a Derrick Dockery or Kris Dielman in Free Agency, or Ben Grubbs in the draft. How hard do you think it would be to get Steinbeck, the G from Cincy?

Kicking game - Atlanta has the rights to free agent punter/kickoff specialist Michael Koenen and plans to bring him back. Morten Anderson could be back, but the Falcons might pursue an experienced, younger placekicker.

Yeah, I don't buy Morten staying effective. He was only good this year due to his leg being fresh. I want Crosby.

Defensive end - Patrick Kerney will be an unrestricted free agent, and there are no guarantees he won't sign elsewhere. There have been good-faith negotiations between Kerney and the Falcons for months. If he bolts, that could completely change Atlanta's free-agent and draft plans.

This is something to watch for, certainly. JAMAAL ANDERSON!

Defensive tackle - There might not be any changes at either defensive tackle spot, although some big bodies could be brought in to push backup nose tackles Darrell Shropshire and T.J. Jackson.

I agree, nothing fancy, but we need some more security at Nose Tackle. Agreed. What if Alan Branch dropped to us?

Outside linebacker - Michael Boley and Keith Brooking are fixtures. Demorrio Williams is a restricted free agent, but the Falcons aren't going to let him get away, especially with the way new defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer likes to turn his athletic players loose.

Our strongest position. I would love to keep Williams on to be our Nickel LB. He is awesome in that role. I want to keep him to replace Brooking sooner or later. He and Boley...DAMN.

Middle linebacker - Ed Hartwell has not been healthy since signing a six-year, $26.25 million free-agent deal in 2005. He has to prove he's worth the money during offseason workouts or Atlanta might have to move in another direction (Jordan Beck is a viable option). Hartwell played for new linebackers coach Brian VanGorder at Western Illinois.

Sounds like Hartwell is a keeping, I didn't know about the VanGorder connection. I am going to give him the benefit of a doubt that he hasn't been healthy. Yep

Right cornerback - This could be the most interesting position to watch. Rookie Jimmy Williams is still being viewed as a cornerback, but a move to free safety hasn't been ruled out. Jason Webster's support within the organization was with the previous coaching staff. His departure isn't a given, though, with Williams' uncertainty at the position and a lack of overall depth at corner. Backup Allen Rossum, who also returns punts and kickoffs, could be on the bubble.

So his position is Corner ... for now. I have a feeling that they will be flexible. If they secure a competent Free Safety, no need to move Williams. If they don't that could be interesting, and Corner bolts to the top of needs. I think Williams will play corner. I am pretty sure.

Left cornerback - DeAngelo Hall is a lock. Zimmer might let him play more man coverages. Zimmer will challenge Hall, and he brings some credibility since he coached Hall's mentor Deion Sanders.

That is a good thing. We need Hall to take the next step. I hadnt known this before, and this is excellent news.

Strong safety - Though under the radar, no player did more for the Falcons last season than Lawyer Milloy. Free safety Chris Crocker could emerge as his backup.

Milloy is a great fit, especially in the Roy Williams' role. As long as he isn't forced to play deep center he is a fine player and leader. How do you think Crocker will do, if he is asked to start in the next season or two?

Free safety - rocker was an improvement against the run, but the natural strong safety struggled in deep pass coverage. Atlanta could very well use its top draft pick to select a free safety.

Landry, Nelson, Williams? Who knows at this point. This is clearly one of the biggest needs on the team.Yep. As long as he is a stud and has alot of speed cause the FS is the only position I use in Madden.

Shiver
01-18-2007, 02:42 AM
In Response;

Steinbach is fine, but I would prefer more beef to balance out the line. Free Agents got overpaid anyway. But now with the higher cap, to sign one of the premier lineman available, would require him to be the only major acquisition to make.
If Alan Branch fell, I wouldn't hesitate to grab him. You can never have too many stud interior lineman, run defense is everything.
I think Jimmy Williams is a corner, until further noted.
As for 'power back,' there is always someone. We only need a specialist, that would only be used on 1-yard to go situations. Maybe Bush in the 3rd. Maybe Shelton if he is cut. Duckett?

d34ng3l021
01-18-2007, 02:47 AM
In Response;

Steinbach is fine, but I would prefer more beef to balance out the line. Free Agents got overpaid anyway. But now with the higher cap, to sign one of the premier lineman available, would require him to be the only major acquisition to make.
If Alan Branch fell, I wouldn't hesitate to grab him. You can never have too many stud interior lineman, run defense is everything.
I think Jimmy Williams is a corner, until further noted.
As for 'power back,' there is always someone. We only need a specialist, that would only be used on 1-yard to go situations. Maybe Bush in the 3rd. Maybe Shelton if he is cut. Duckett?

I would love Bush in the 3rd, but dont know if thats gonna happen. And I dont want Duckett back, unless he doesnt tip toe.

Some mocks have Branch, or Peterson, or Anderson slipping to us and man its exciting.

iloxygenil
01-18-2007, 09:59 AM
The thing about the 10th spot in the draft is something amazing. Someone HAS to drop, there is NO way for an elite talent to not be available. Look at Leinart, that's a GIFT for the Cards. The Falcons need to hold that pick until it comes up on draft day and then consider moving it, depending on who is available. But we all know that DTs and CBs RISE on draft day, and we know that Tampa Bay is in desperate need of a DE, now that they have NOONE, they could really look to a guy like Anderson or Adams, if one or both were available and overlook Calvin. Which would be a miracle and be absolutely fantastic for us. Because at that point he freefalls another 3 picks to Minnesota before being considered again. I'm not sure what to do, but I do know if a guy like All Day is there, we have to take him and send Dunn packing. It's a case where the rich get richer if we get a guy like him in here. He fits the power run game, and still can break the big one, but we have the PERFECT compliment to him with Jerious, who I think could be a feature back, but splitting the carries between those 2 backs, wouldn't hurt my feelings even for 1/2 a second.

Obviously LG and LT are the biggest problem spots, but Gandy did really well in New Orleans in a traditional style pass blocking role, I wonder if it was just the ZBS that made him look really bad. Maybe he's worth keeping for 1 more year while we have no shot at an ELITE offensive linemen since Joe will be gone. I like the prospects of Ugoh and Sears, but I wouldn't mind having Gandy for insurance. I have a feeling that Omiyale is going to be on the bubble, and I think that Quinn is going to have to step his game up as well. He's got great pull blocking ability and I like the way he plays, but he's gotta get NASTY in the middle. That's what we're lacking. We get Forney back, which is HUGE, but I like Clabo as well, the guy plays very well, and gets overlooked, but he was great in pass protection, and he was able to keep his man contained most of the time, he may be the answer (for this year) at the LG position.

d34ng3l021
01-18-2007, 10:08 AM
Obviously LG and LT are the biggest problem spots, but Gandy did really well in New Orleans in a traditional style pass blocking role, I wonder if it was just the ZBS that made him look really bad. Maybe he's worth keeping for 1 more year while we have no shot at an ELITE offensive linemen since Joe will be gone. I like the prospects of Ugoh and Sears, but I wouldn't mind having Gandy for insurance. I have a feeling that Omiyale is going to be on the bubble, and I think that Quinn is going to have to step his game up as well. He's got great pull blocking ability and I like the way he plays, but he's gotta get in the middle. That's what we're lacking. We get Forney back, which is HUGE, but I like Clabo as well, the guy plays very well, and gets overlooked, but he was great in pass protection, and he was able to keep his man contained most of the time, he may be the answer (for this year) at the LG position.

OR NOT! Like you said, someone will drop...who knows. Maybe it will be him.

iloxygenil
01-18-2007, 10:33 AM
Obviously LG and LT are the biggest problem spots, but Gandy did really well in New Orleans in a traditional style pass blocking role, I wonder if it was just the ZBS that made him look really bad. Maybe he's worth keeping for 1 more year while we have no shot at an ELITE offensive linemen since Joe will be gone. I like the prospects of Ugoh and Sears, but I wouldn't mind having Gandy for insurance. I have a feeling that Omiyale is going to be on the bubble, and I think that Quinn is going to have to step his game up as well. He's got great pull blocking ability and I like the way he plays, but he's gotta get in the middle. That's what we're lacking. We get Forney back, which is HUGE, but I like Clabo as well, the guy plays very well, and gets overlooked, but he was great in pass protection, and he was able to keep his man contained most of the time, he may be the answer (for this year) at the LG position.

OR NOT! Like you said, someone will drop...who knows. Maybe it will be him.
I just think its impossible for him to drop...I mean...c'mon...he's a MONSTER LT and head and shoulders above all others in the draft.

Shiver
01-18-2007, 01:28 PM
Maybe Joe Thomas' knee will cause him to fall. :|

Shiver
01-18-2007, 01:47 PM
It could be weeks until Michael Vick is charged, if at all. If he has any prior positive tests on the League's substance abuse program, that would be a big deal.

iloxygenil
01-18-2007, 03:04 PM
It could be weeks until Michael Vick is charged, if at all. If he has any prior positive tests on the League's substance abuse program, that would be a big deal.
I have heard another story that it was nothing at all high tech like they are trying to make it out to be, and that it was just a grain of something that was caught behind the label, that's why it could take a while to figure out what it is, and it still doesn't prove he did anything if it is pot, just proves that someone at Aquafina was puffin the cheeba at work.

I dunno what to think. I definitely don't want that kind of pub around our 'leader'

Shiver
01-18-2007, 03:26 PM
I dunno what to think. I definitely don't want that kind of pub around our 'leader'

I have no problem in defending him as our on the field Quarterback. Or the nonsensical constant "controversy," regarding his merits as a passer, I could deal with. But with this and the finger flip, he is making it hard for me to like him. You cannot have your Quarterback creating all kinds of extracurricular problems, and I am just a fan, I cannot imagine how Arthur Blank is feeling. If he was just some defensive back, or something, this wouldn't be an issue. There is a double standard for the position, and rightfully so.

Shiver
01-18-2007, 03:38 PM
Obviously LG and LT are the biggest problem spots, but Gandy did really well in New Orleans in a traditional style pass blocking role, I wonder if it was just the ZBS that made him look really bad. Maybe he's worth keeping for 1 more year while we have no shot at an ELITE offensive linemen since Joe will be gone. I like the prospects of Ugoh and Sears, but I wouldn't mind having Gandy for insurance. I have a feeling that Omiyale is going to be on the bubble, and I think that Quinn is going to have to step his game up as well. He's got great pull blocking ability and I like the way he plays, but he's gotta get NASTY in the middle. That's what we're lacking. We get Forney back, which is HUGE, but I like Clabo as well, the guy plays very well, and gets overlooked, but he was great in pass protection, and he was able to keep his man contained most of the time, he may be the answer (for this year) at the LG position.

Yeah, Left Tackle is a far bigger issue than Guard in my opinion as well. Frank Omiyale had a supposedly impressive off-season, but he was worked in pre-season by 2nd stringers. I would love if he could step up. He has all the talent.