PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Falcons Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8

D-Rod
02-02-2007, 05:21 PM
Holy Smokes! Something interesting posted on TATF:

DeAngelo Hall was on 680 and they asked him about Jimmy Williams, whether he thinks he's better as a corner or a safety and he said, "When he came here, I told the coaching staff he can either be a good corner, or a GREAT safety."

He also talked about Petrino, saying he's excited to play for him, and that he met him recently.

They asked him if anyone quit at the end of the season. He said, "No, I don't think so. I know I was one of the players saying, "Let's Do This For Jim Mora", because he was such a players coach. But maybe that's what we need. Maybe we need someone who will get on us."

Asked about the comment the Eagles said, where he said, "I'm going to Hawaii, where are you going?" He said he never really said that. He talked about how Donte Stallworth must not like him, because he had such a great game against him when he was with the Saints. So he said Stallworth was trash talking him, and Hall said he was begging Andy Reid to put him back in the game.

They asked him if he could play personnel man. And he said they need another cover corner, and some safety help.

Very interesting. I think that's the first really official comment on JW as a safety, after Mora and co saying he was a CB period. If JW is going to be a safety, where does that leave us for our #2 CB? Maybe we could summon up the cash for Clements or Samuel after all... 8)

DraftMichaelHuff
02-02-2007, 08:01 PM
the problem with the move is the coaches wont get to see jimmy at safety untill after FA and the draft. What happens if jimmy is completly lost at safety? We, as usual are stuck with safety issues and in addition to this we have a new found salary cap problem at CB with the 23 year old DHall coming off his relativly cheap rookie salarly and no doubt wanting number 1 CB money when it already given to his oppostie in clements or samuel.

IMO opinion the best option it to draft Brendan Merriweather or Reggie Nelson, Merriweather esp. Most importantly this is the most flexible option as you end up drafting a guy that has the option and experience of playing CB in addition to FS.

Then at mini camp we put it in the hands of the coaches, they move jimmy and the draftee around AND COACH & MONITOR. If it becomes evident that Jimmy is destined to be a great safety and far outdoes his efforts at CB move him, as i have no doubt a guy like Merriweather would be a great CB at the next level as evidenced in the senior bowl practises.

If Jimmy Williams appears the same as he does at CB when moved to safety i say leave him there because of his potential and matchups size-wise he can offer us. In this case the draftee would then stay the the position in which they were drafted.

Another bonus is possibility of Merriweather being available in the 2nd and the fact that it would allow us to take one of the guys who may fall to 10 in branch peterson adams or anderson or get a guy like Levi Brown and address the O line. This would allow us to get maximum draft value accoding to the importance of position to a team (FS being inferior to OT DE & DT)

iloxygenil
02-02-2007, 08:09 PM
Eric Weddle is the answer in ATL. He's going to be able to play both positions in the NFL. I think Jimmy at Safety would be hella fun on Madden, cause he's got great hands and can hit like a beast, but he'd also be like a 92 or 93 speed Free Safety, which IRL would translate to him being able to get to balls that most Safetys couldn't

DraftMichaelHuff
02-02-2007, 08:33 PM
Yeha i guess weddle is another option, i dunno im just an upside guy so he doesnt really GRAB me as a prospect. I guess every year there is a prospect that i really dont get exited about, last year it was tamba hali and he turned out pretty good so weedle might be ok

Also lets say we take Merriweather, Weedle or Nelson i really dont like Jason Webster what would you say to us drafting Ryan Smith in the 4th to be out nickle? he only really has 1 knock on him, his weight, but TNEW and Asante went pretty well this year at 180 lbs so he he can bulk up to 175 and at 5"10 he could be great for us

Then id grab Tyrone Moss in the 5th, provided we dont get peterson earlier,

ATLDirtyBirds
02-03-2007, 06:43 AM
For as good as Merriweather looked, he doesn't catch me as a Falcon Filter passer.

iloxygenil
02-03-2007, 02:41 PM
I am sold on Weddle. I want football players, not guys who have great measureables. We have tons of team speed, and I think at Safety and corner we could use some more, but I think Weddle has speed to burn, but he's just a straight up baller, he's able to play almost every position on the field. Okay maybe just 3, but still, it's awesome to have such versatility, especially from the 3rd corner / Safety position. He's a guy I would love to have as a Falcon.

Another guy I'm pretty high on is Johnnie Lee Higgins, I think he's just the kind of WR we need on this team. He goes up and is amazing in the air, has wonderful body control, and if we're not going to make a move for Calvin he's who I want.

But still leaves us lacking in the offensive line, so my favorite scenario there is to trade down and get Blaylock and Ugoh.

ATLDirtyBirds
02-03-2007, 03:32 PM
I dunno, I'm still not that high on Weddle. If we are truely doing what DHall said, I would like our 1 FA signing to be Clemens or Samuel.

Shiver
02-03-2007, 04:25 PM
Update on possible off-season moves:

Blank also discussed other off-season issues, most notably the team's approach to improving the roster under Petrino and his coaching staff.

Unlike the past two seasons, when Atlanta spent roughly $24 million in guaranteed bonuses to acquire Ed Hartwell and John Abraham, Blank said the Falcons would be judicious in free agency and fortify the roster through the draft. Atlanta, which will enter free agency with roughly $10 million to spend against the $109 million salary cap, is taking this approach philosophically, not as a cost-cutting measure, Blank said.

"That's pretty much the attitude the club's going to have," Blank said. "I'm the kind of owner who is going to spend up to the limit on the salary cap and provide as many resources as I'm allowed, but this year we're going to be using the draft aggressively. We have at least nine picks. That's more or less the attitude we're going to have."

The Falcons have the No. 10 overall pick and will pick in the top half of each of the seven rounds.

Blank did not rule out the possibility of pursuing a big-name free agent, but "some people would say a big name is an offensive guard and offensive tackle," he said.

The Falcons have expressed a desire to improve their offensive line.

Blank also said the team remains in discussions to re-sign free-agent defensive end Patrick Kerney, but there are no new developments.

"I know that [general manager] Rich McKay has talked to Kerney's agent," Blank said. "We'd love to see that happen, and we're going try to make that happen. Nothing is automatic. He'd like to stay, and we'd like to have him here."

Hopefully we make one "big" acquisition, that being for our Left Guard position. I would love to go after Kris Dielhman or Derrick Dockery. As for Left Tackle, who knows what they are going to do. There certainly isn't any Free Agents that are any good. So either they trust our project lineman, Ojinnaka or Omiyale, or they draft someone new.

scar988
02-03-2007, 06:01 PM
well if Omiyale impresses Petrino it should be fine. Omiyale's problem coming out was run blocking. his pass blocking has done nothing but improve but he never really picked up Gibb's scheme. he shoudl eb a lot better in Petrino's and could be the easy starter.

falconsrule
02-03-2007, 09:18 PM
Update on possible off-season moves:

Blank also discussed other off-season issues, most notably the team's approach to improving the roster under Petrino and his coaching staff.

Unlike the past two seasons, when Atlanta spent roughly $24 million in guaranteed bonuses to acquire Ed Hartwell and John Abraham, Blank said the Falcons would be judicious in free agency and fortify the roster through the draft. Atlanta, which will enter free agency with roughly $10 million to spend against the $109 million salary cap, is taking this approach philosophically, not as a cost-cutting measure, Blank said.

"That's pretty much the attitude the club's going to have," Blank said. "I'm the kind of owner who is going to spend up to the limit on the salary cap and provide as many resources as I'm allowed, but this year we're going to be using the draft aggressively. We have at least nine picks. That's more or less the attitude we're going to have."

The Falcons have the No. 10 overall pick and will pick in the top half of each of the seven rounds.

Blank did not rule out the possibility of pursuing a big-name free agent, but "some people would say a big name is an offensive guard and offensive tackle," he said.

The Falcons have expressed a desire to improve their offensive line.

Blank also said the team remains in discussions to re-sign free-agent defensive end Patrick Kerney, but there are no new developments.

"I know that [general manager] Rich McKay has talked to Kerney's agent," Blank said. "We'd love to see that happen, and we're going try to make that happen. Nothing is automatic. He'd like to stay, and we'd like to have him here."

Hopefully we make one "big" acquisition, that being for our Left Guard position. I would love to go after Kris Dielhman or Derrick Dockery. As for Left Tackle, who knows what they are going to do. There certainly isn't any Free Agents that are any good. So either they trust our project lineman, Ojinnaka or Omiyale, or they draft someone new.

The thing that sticks out at me is that were going to be aggressive in this year draft...right off the top im thinking our first option will be a trade down or just take the bpa weither its safty or o-line help and im really not sold on weddle I personally think that he might be to slow...if we had to pick a safty/corner I would prefar nelson.

Shiver
02-03-2007, 10:25 PM
I am all for the trade down. I have a feeling this draft will be the foundation for the Bobby Petrino era. So I think accumulating as many picks as possible is likely, and beneficial. Although my first preference is taking Levi Brown at #10.

Shiver
02-03-2007, 10:37 PM
It's amazing that Petrino giving Michael Vick power to audible and, gasp, run the offense made the news. Sad, sad that we had to endure the Greg Knapp era.

D-Rod
02-04-2007, 04:16 AM
1. The fact that Mike will be allowed to audible should really open up the offense. What that will require is a total understanding of the playbook - and it's great to hear that Vick is already up at flowery branch learning it.

2. "Aggressive drafting" strikes me more as trading up than trading down, which would be interesting - maybe CJ or Joe Thomas are on the radar after all! - but it certainly could be trading down. Passive drafting, on the other hand, is surely just sitting there at your position and taking BPA - so maybe McKay is moving away from that a little.

3. Blank says we have 9 draft picks? Is he just miscounting, or does he already expect to get extra draft picks from trading certain players?

4. GREAT news to hear him hinting that an OT or OG is (a) a need, and (b ) a target for FA.

5. I'm excited. 8)

ATLDirtyBirds
02-04-2007, 07:37 AM
1. The fact that Mike will be allowed to audible should really open up the offense. What that will require is a total understanding of the playbook - and it's great to hear that Vick is already up at flowery branch learning it.

2. "Aggressive drafting" strikes me more as trading up than trading down, which would be interesting - maybe CJ or Joe Thomas are on the radar after all! - but it certainly could be trading down. Passive drafting, on the other hand, is surely just sitting there at your position and taking BPA - so maybe McKay is moving away from that a little.

3. Blank says we have 9 draft picks? Is he just miscounting, or does he already expect to get extra draft picks from trading certain players?

4. GREAT news to hear him hinting that an OT or OG is (a) a need, and (b ) a target for FA.

5. I'm excited. 8)

I know we get compensation for Shaffaer.

falconsrule
02-04-2007, 11:23 AM
Im confused myself about the 9 draft picks that we have...I know we received a 4th from the Shaffer deal but we also gave up a 4th rounder to get crocker...if we do have 9 im thinking its a extra 6th or 7th rounder.

D-Rod
02-04-2007, 12:32 PM
Compensation for Shaffer has not yet been determined, but is likely to be a 4th, yes.

The 4th for Crocker was in last year's draft.

We have an extra 4th (Broncos) from the Abraham trade.

And we have lost either a 6th or 7th in the Gandy trade (i'm guessing 6th, since he started all the games).

That gives us 7, plus the Shaffer pick.

falconsrule
02-04-2007, 01:12 PM
Compensation for Shaffer has not yet been determined, but is likely to be a 4th, yes.

The 4th for Crocker was in last year's draft.

We have an extra 4th (Broncos) from the Abraham trade.

And we have lost either a 6th or 7th in the Gandy trade (i'm guessing 6th, since he started all the games).

That gives us 7, plus the Shaffer pick.

So we should have three 4th round picks this year?.....I hope so you can always find quality players in the 4th round....If we do have three picks in the 4th that would make it easier for us to trade up if we wanted a player such as C.Johnson,G.Adams,A.Branch,or A.Peterson.

iloxygenil
02-04-2007, 01:41 PM
There is no player in this draft that would make me happier than Calvin Johnson, and I really still think we are in perfect position to move up and get him with the #2 pick if Oakland doesn't take him #1, but if that's the case, and they do take him, I think the #2 pick is pointless, and we could really do just as well sitting at 10, because there is no other player on his level this year. So, the next group of players is all about equal, and one of them has to be there at #10, so I'm cool with just sitting on #10 and waiting for whoever may be there. But if we do get aggressive and go get Calvin to work with Michael this offense will go from middle of the league, last in passing, to top 5 with top 10 passing, I am convinced of it.

Other than that, I like most of the trench players in this year's draft, so I'm really anxious to see who is there if we do sit at 10, Anderson is prolly #1 in my book, but Branch, Adams, and crew are right there with him.

I am pretty much over having Patrick Kerney on our team. I love his motor, but his production lately hasn't been great, and I think we could have someone come in and do just as well over there as he can, and with potential to do more than he can, so, I think he's my top choice to be gone.

Shiver
02-04-2007, 01:43 PM
I would be happier with Joe Thomas, rather than Calvin Johnson. He would help the team more in my opinion. That is our primary need, and he could come in and produce, and be a perennial All-Pro type. He is the best OT prospect in a long time. He is much bigger and stronger than D'Brickashaw Ferguson. He has longer arms and more athleticism than Robert Gallery. What price would it take to move up for him? Probably #10, the 2nd rounder and Matt Schaub to go to the Oakland Raiders or Detroit Lions. That would certainly fit the mold of "aggressive drafting." I love Calvin Johnson, but what would he help, if Michael Vick was under constant duress? Atlanta has ignored the O-Line for nearly 15 years!

scar988
02-04-2007, 02:12 PM
I would be happier with Joe Thomas, rather than Calvin Johnson. He would help the team more in my opinion. That is our primary need, and he could come in and produce, and be a perennial All-Pro type. He is the best OT prospect in a long time. He is much bigger and stronger than D'Brickashaw Ferguson. He has longer arms and more athleticism than Robert Gallery. What price would it take to move up for him? Probably #10, the 2nd rounder and Matt Schaub to go to the Oakland Raiders or Detroit Lions. That would certainly fit the mold of "aggressive drafting." I love Calvin Johnson, but what would he help, if Michael Vick was under constant duress? Atlanta has ignored the O-Line for nearly 15 years!this year is pretty deep in OL talent though. and as much as I like Thomas it would be better served for us to trade Schaub for JAX's first and have a first day of the draft like this:
10 - DE Jamaal Anderson
17 - OT Levi Brown
44 - FS Eric Weddle
73 - OG Manuel Ramirez

Shiver
02-04-2007, 03:40 PM
If Jacksonville is going to want Schaub, of which, there isn't indications of such. At least with my package up to Oakland and Detroit, both of their Offensive Coordinators have history with Matt Schaub. If Jacksonville would trade that, straight up, by all means. I just think my solution is more plausible.

iloxygenil
02-04-2007, 04:07 PM
I love Joe, but Calvin is a game changer, and if we go out in FA and pickup a good Guard, then we may use Omiyale, and bring in a 2nd round guy, Ugoh / Staley, to compete and push him. That would make Calvin the best fit. Calvin is a once in a century kind of player, you don't pass that up if you can get it, you get it. There is a Joe Thomas in literally every draft. I'll take Calvin all day every day

Shiver
02-04-2007, 04:15 PM
We need to beef up the Line play. Not add another Skill Position player. We aren't run by Matt Millen. I cannot imagine a situation where Rich McKay drafts another receiver, let alone, trade up for one. I disagree that Calvin is a "once in a century," I find that hyperbole a bit absurd. It was only '04 when a player, at least his equal, was available, by the name of Larry Fitzgerald. I just don't see the rationale, when struggles at Left Tackle have been the team's biggest issue this decade. Let alone last year. Especially when your only option at that position is a 5th round project from Tennessee Tech who has never played!

iloxygenil
02-04-2007, 09:26 PM
We need to beef up the Line play. Not add another Skill Position player. We aren't run by Matt Millen. I cannot imagine a situation where Rich McKay drafts another receiver, let alone, trade up for one. I disagree that Calvin is a "once in a century," I find that hyperbole a bit absurd. It was only '04 when a player, at least his equal, was available, by the name of Larry Fitzgerald. I just don't see the rationale, when struggles at Left Tackle have been the team's biggest issue this decade. Let alone last year. Especially when your only option at that position is a 5th round project from Tennessee Tech who has never played!
Larry was no where NEAR Calvin. Calvin is going to be a top 3 WR in the league his rookie year if he goes the right place that will throw the ball. He is more polished than most of the WRs in the NFL already, and he's playing college ball. There hasn't ever been anyone up to his level coming out of college. He's just as physical and has as good of hands as Larry, but he's faster, and can jump better, while being taller, and possibly thicker.

d34ng3l021
02-04-2007, 09:42 PM
Larry was no where NEAR Calvin. Calvin is going to be a top 3 WR in the league his rookie year if he goes the right place that will throw the ball. He is more polished than most of the WRs in the NFL already, and he's playing college ball. There hasn't ever been anyone up to his level coming out of college. He's just as physical and has as good of hands as Larry, but he's faster, and can jump better, while being taller, and possibly thicker.

Dude you are underating Larry WAY too much. Larry has amazing hops and hands and, in my opinion, the best in the league. Both are very good prospects, and it is really hard to say which one was the better one.

And Shiver, I completely agree with what you said about Joe Thomas. I would LOVE to trade up for that guy. He is a top prospect at a position of dire need. He would be perfect for Petrino's scheme as well.

Shiver
02-04-2007, 09:58 PM

Dude you are underating Larry WAY too much. Larry has amazing hops and hands and, in my opinion, the best in the league. Both are very good prospects, and it is really hard to say which one was the better one.

But Larry didn't play in the ACC... :lol: Seriously, they are really close as prospects. You cannot go wrong with either. I just don't feel that Receiver is what this team needs. Sure they were times when the dropsies were prevalent. But they have the talent, and flashed greatness, they just need more time and better coaching. I just cannot imagine Rich McKay going the Matt Millen route of drafting.

And Shiver, I completely agree with what you said about Joe Thomas. I would LOVE to trade up for that guy. He is a top prospect at a position of dire need. He would be perfect for Petrino's scheme as well.

It sounds as if we would have to get to Detroit's spot to secure Thomas. I think the Raiders take Johnson, voiding me and oxy's banter as useless. :lol: Mike Martz loves Matt Schaub, and the Lions need a lot of help, Schaub, 10th and whatever else, would provide. Meanwhile Atlanta locks up an elite talent at the position of utmost need, utilizing their plethora of draft picks in order to do so.

d34ng3l021
02-04-2007, 10:11 PM
It sounds as if we would have to get to Detroit's spot to secure Thomas. I think the Raiders take Johnson, voiding me and oxy's banter as useless. :lol: Mike Martz loves Matt Schaub, and the Lions need a lot of help, Schaub, 10th and whatever else, would provide. Meanwhile Atlanta locks up an elite talent at the position of utmost need, utilizing their plethora of draft picks in order to do so.

Just wondering, but where did you get the idea that Mike Martz loves Schaub? Has he said or done anything that would indicate so? Before Mooch left, Schaub would have been perfect there...

And does anyone know the point differential between the 2nd pick and the 10th?

Number 10
02-04-2007, 11:05 PM
What would it take for the Giants to move up to the 10th pick?

Would our 1st, 2nd, and CB Corey Webster be enough?

Shiver
02-04-2007, 11:40 PM

Just wondering, but where did you get the idea that Mike Martz loves Schaub? Has he said or done anything that would indicate so? Before Mooch left, Schaub would have been perfect there...

1st - The Rams were planning on taking Schaub with the 91st pick, but Atlanta picked 90th. It was in the St Louis Post Dispatch:

In the third round, Martz's eyes got larger as Virginia quarterback Matt Schaub came closer into range at No. 91 overall. But in a surprise move, the Atlanta Falcons - despite the presence of Michael Vick on their roster - selected Schaub at No. 90.

Schaub would be a perfect fit for the Lions. Kitna is old, and doesn't have the upside. Schaub would be dynamite in Martz' system.

2nd - The difference between 10th overall, 1300 points, and 2nd overall, is another 1300 points. That is Schaub, and another pick, fortunately we have a lot of extras.

Shiver
02-04-2007, 11:42 PM
What would it take for the Giants to move up to the 10th pick?

Would our 1st, 2nd, and CB Corey Webster be enough?

It would be tantamount to a 2nd round pick.

d34ng3l021
02-04-2007, 11:50 PM

1st - The Rams were planning on taking Schaub with the 91st pick, but Atlanta picked 90th. It was in the St Louis Post Dispatch:

In the third round, Martz's eyes got larger as Virginia quarterback Matt Schaub came closer into range at No. 91 overall. But in a surprise move, the Atlanta Falcons - despite the presence of Michael Vick on their roster - selected Schaub at No. 90.

Schaub would be a perfect fit for the Lions. Kitna is old, and doesn't have the upside. Schaub would be dynamite in Martz' system.

2nd - The difference between 10th overall, 1300 points, and 2nd overall, is another 1300 points. That is Schaub, and another pick, fortunately we have a lot of extras.

*is excited* Joe Thomas would be so perfect! And then we could get Merriweather or Weddle or Grubbs in the 2nd!

I would love that so much. I just really wanna solidify our OL. Vick was unstoppable when he wasnt being pressured.

Shiver
02-05-2007, 12:09 AM
Well, any Quarterback plays better with protection. Let's just say the Saints' fans were right about Wayne Gandy...

d34ng3l021
02-05-2007, 12:12 AM
Well, any Quarterback plays better with protection. Let's just say the Saints' fans were right about Wayne Gandy...

Yeah but Vick under pressure = alot worse than other QBs under pressure....

Alot of the protection issues also deal with his timing and sometimes Vick holds onto the ball too long. I hope he works out more timing issues again this offseason. And I really hope Hue Jackson can work wonders for our offense.

d34ng3l021
02-05-2007, 12:27 AM
So I just read the Weddle interview (kind of late....) and WOW. I really want him. He reminds me of Tatapu kind of. Very instictive guy but will have low stock due to low measurables.

Shiver
02-05-2007, 12:37 AM

Yeah but Vick under pressure = alot worse than other QBs under pressure....

Yeah, his mechanics self-destruct at times.

Alot of the protection issues also deal with his timing and sometimes Vick holds onto the ball too long. I hope he works out more timing issues again this offseason. And I really hope Hue Jackson can work wonders for our offense.

The new offense, which no one has seen before, will be key. If the team takes to it, we could have a top-5 offensive unit. That is if Michael Vick returns to Dan Reeves-esque production.

d34ng3l021
02-05-2007, 12:43 AM
The new offense, which no one has seen before, will be key. If the team takes to it, we could have a top-5 offensive unit. That is if Michael Vick returns to Dan Reeves-esque production.

I wasnt into football in 2002, so I am wondering whether or not Vick's 2002 success was due to Vick being great and hitting recievers and getting time in the pocket, or was it becasue no one had tape on him and didnt know how to defend him?

Shiver
02-05-2007, 01:18 AM
Well, the O-Line was more traditional. The design of the offense was more so a deep passing off play action offense. The big change is Michael Vick was much more consistent in '02. He didn't have any of the "valley" games, he's had in recent years, while still having "peaks," as a pure passer. He was definitely more comfortable in that offense, than Knapp's, for whatever reason. His Yards Per Completion numbers were fantastic, as were his TD:INT ratio. Ask some of the established posters, like bigbluedefense, or yourfavoritestoner, they will tell you the same thing I have said. Vick seemed to be a different Quarterback under Knapp. Very few questioned Michael Vick as a very good Quarterback prior to the '05 game against the Jets.

SimonRath
02-05-2007, 06:00 AM
If we sign a S like Ken Hamlin, Deon Grant, Michael Lewis, or Gabril Wilson.
If we trade up and get Calvin Johnson.
if we have a good draft day after Calvin Johnson.
then we will be super bowl champs!! hopefully

iloxygenil
02-05-2007, 10:33 AM
I really doubt that he takes Calvin #1. I guess it all just depends on what happens with all the players we have as RFAs and UFAs and such.

But I really like Larry Johnson, and I love the way he goes up and fights for the ball. But Calvin jumped 45 and prolly actually jumped 47 the stupid thing couldn't measure his jump. He's going to be the best leaper in the NFL, plus he's 6'5 and he's got a HUGE wingspan. But yeah, Joe is a baller, but I'm not sold on him as better than some of the other guys.

There really is a "Joe Thomas" in every draft, and that's why I value Calvin much higher. But I do know we need a LOT of work in the trenches.

DWhitner20
02-05-2007, 12:37 PM
Who do you guys like out of Reggie Nelson, LaRon Landry, Levi Brown, and Amobi Okoye if one were to be your pick at 10?

JDB7821
02-05-2007, 01:12 PM
Who do you guys like out of Reggie Nelson, LaRon Landry, Levi Brown, and Amobi Okoye if one were to be your pick at 10?
Okoye, for me. I'm one that wants to move Jimmy Williams to FS and worry about a 2nd round corner.

SimonRath
02-05-2007, 01:15 PM
What you guys think about this mock draft for the Falcons?

*Trade Schaub and our 5th round pick to Jacksonville for their 1st round pick*
*Trade D. Williams to the Colts for their 2nd round pick*

1st round: Gaines Adams
1st round(from Jacksonville): LaRon Landry
2nd round: Joe Staley/Tony Ugoh
2nd round(from Colts): Manuel Ramirez
3rd round: Dwayne Wright

JDB7821
02-05-2007, 01:17 PM
What you guys think about this mock draft for the Falcons?

*Trade Schaub and our 5th round pick to Jacksonville for their 1st round pick*
*Trade D. Williams to the Colts for their 2nd round pick*

1st round: Gaines Adams
1st round(from Jacksonville): LaRon Landry
2nd round: Joe Staley/Tony Ugoh
2nd round(from Colts): Manuel Ramirez
3rd round: Dwayne Wright
I don't like predicting trades, but I would love Adams in the 1st if he fell.

falconsrule
02-05-2007, 01:41 PM
I really doubt that he takes Calvin #1. I guess it all just depends on what happens with all the players we have as RFAs and UFAs and such.

But I really like Larry Johnson, and I love the way he goes up and fights for the ball. But Calvin jumped 45 and prolly actually jumped 47 the stupid thing couldn't measure his jump. He's going to be the best leaper in the NFL, plus he's 6'5 and he's got a HUGE wingspan. But yeah, Joe is a baller, but I'm not sold on him as better than some of the other guys.

There really is a "Joe Thomas" in every draft, and that's why I value Calvin much higher. But I do know we need a LOT of work in the trenches.

Being from Atlanta every chance I had to watch Calvin Johnson play I did......His starting QB was Reggie Ball...If CJ would have had a decent QB throwing him the ball he would have put up some BIG numbers trust me when I say this...really there is no way you can play him man to man in my opinion...I would love to have CJ on our team even though we have pick two first round WR....I know for a fact CJ will explode on the football scene the same way Randy Moss did when he was a rookie.

Shiver
02-05-2007, 01:41 PM

I would prefer Levi Brown. As of right now, we only have a 36-year old, awful starter in Wayne Gandy. To back him up, we have a 5th round "project" from Tennessee Tech. I would say Left Tackle is the premium need for the team.

falconsrule
02-05-2007, 02:50 PM
Team Needs - S, OL, DE, RB

Safety:Strong safety Lawyer Milloy will turn thirty-four next season. Free safety Chris Crocker may not be entirely suited for the position. After those two, there isn’t much help available. It’s clear that Atlanta must look to add depth and talent here—at both safety spots. The draft will be an ideal place to find that help since the market doesn’t appear to be deep in this area.

Offensive Line:The Falcons will need to plug holes on the offensive line if they are unable to re-sign or decide not to re-sign those who are hitting the free agent market. Left tackle Wayne Gandy will be thirty-six heading into next season and the guard spots and center spot can be upgraded. There is some depth on the line, so it is probably unlikely that the team will spend an early draft pick on a lineman. The market at the position is fairly strong, so the team will have options available to plug the holes that spring up.

Defensive Line:The Falcons are apparently talking to defensive end Patrick Kerney about a contract extension. Kerney is currently on injured reserve, but he’s been fairly productive in Atlanta when healthy. The other defensive end is John Abraham, a 2006 offseason acquisition that has paid huge dividends when Abraham actually gets on the field. The former Jet has a history of injuries that has to concern the Falcons. Kerney’s contract situation plays a large role in the true need at the position, but even depth to act as insurance behind the injury-prone will come of use.

Running Back:One other area that the Falcons will need to evaluate strongly is the running back position. Warrick Dunn will be thirty-two by season’s end. After Dunn, the Falcons have 2006 third-round pick Jerious Norwood to hand the ball to. The emphasis of need depends on Norwood, and whether the organization feels that he can be a true number one and carry the load. If the team feels that Norwood will not be ready to handle the load in the next couple of seasons, they may strongly look to add depth, but if they have faith in Norwood, the need is lessened.

You can add WR to the list too

Shiver
02-05-2007, 02:59 PM
Team Needs - S, OL, DE, RB

Safety:Strong safety Lawyer Milloy will turn thirty-four next season. Free safety Chris Crocker may not be entirely suited for the position. After those two, there isn’t much help available. It’s clear that Atlanta must look to add depth and talent here—at both safety spots. The draft will be an ideal place to find that help since the market doesn’t appear to be deep in this area.

I think if the team acquires a Free Safety, Chris Crocker is fine depth at either position.

Offensive Line:The Falcons will need to plug holes on the offensive line if they are unable to re-sign or decide not to re-sign those who are hitting the free agent market. Left tackle Wayne Gandy will be thirty-six heading into next season and the guard spots and center spot can be upgraded. There is some depth on the line, so it is probably unlikely that the team will spend an early draft pick on a lineman. The market at the position is fairly strong, so the team will have options available to plug the holes that spring up.

The Free Agent market is deep at the Guard position. At Left Tackle, it is very vacant. The onus is on Frank Omiyale or Quinn Ojinnaka to impress in OTAs and mini-camp. If they do, that will help the team by a lot.

Defensive Line:The Falcons are apparently talking to defensive end Patrick Kerney about a contract extension. Kerney is currently on injured reserve, but he’s been fairly productive in Atlanta when healthy. The other defensive end is John Abraham, a 2006 offseason acquisition that has paid huge dividends when Abraham actually gets on the field. The former Jet has a history of injuries that has to concern the Falcons. Kerney’s contract situation plays a large role in the true need at the position, but even depth to act as insurance behind the injury-prone will come of use.

Agreed.

Running Back:One other area that the Falcons will need to evaluate strongly is the running back position. Warrick Dunn will be thirty-two by season’s end. After Dunn, the Falcons have 2006 third-round pick Jerious Norwood to hand the ball to. The emphasis of need depends on Norwood, and whether the organization feels that he can be a true number one and carry the load. If the team feels that Norwood will not be ready to handle the load in the next couple of seasons, they may strongly look to add depth, but if they have faith in Norwood, the need is lessened.

They need a big, short yardage back, to spell Norwood. Warrick Dunn would be great in passing downs.

You can add WR to the list too

Yeah, a 4th WR, who could eventually replace Finneran would certainly be good.

I would add back-up 4-3 Nose Tackle to the needs. There isn't a lot behind Grady Jackson, by a lot I mean a lack of quality.

falconsrule
02-05-2007, 03:19 PM
Even though Crocker was torch by the Atlanta Falcons MB...I truly believe that he can be a good SS in this leauge the problem is we all seen what happend when he played the FS posistion so that to me is a big posistion we have to upgrade but LT is by far our biggest need....with that said I would love to have Reggie Nelson & Levi Brown(doubt if this happends).....Every time I watch the Colts this year I couldnt help but think of Nelson every time I seen Bob Sanders plug Nelson into our secondary man that would be scary for our opponets.

Reggie Nelson is an attacking safety with big time playmaking ability. He flies around the football field and is aggressive in every facet of the game. Nelson is tough and plays bigger than his wiry frame indicates. He delivers big hits and isn’t afraid to lend help in support. Nelson’s biggest impact comes with his ability to make plays on the football. He has a nose for the ball, and really goes after the ball when it is in the air. He is a great athlete and shows the speed to run plays down and keep up down the field in coverage.

MagnumGator
02-05-2007, 03:24 PM
Even though Crocker was torch by the Atlanta Falcons MB...I truly believe that he can be a good SS in this leauge the problem is we all seen what happend when he played the FS posistion so that to me is a big posistion we have to upgrade but LT is by far our biggest need....with that said I would love to have Reggie Nelson & Levi Brown(doubt if this happends).....Every time I watch the Colts this year I couldnt help but think of Nelson every time I seen Bob Sanders plug Nelson into our secondary man that would be scary for our opponets.

Reggie Nelson is an attacking safety with big time playmaking ability. He flies around the football field and is aggressive in every facet of the game. Nelson is tough and plays bigger than his wiry frame indicates. He delivers big hits and isn’t afraid to lend help in support. Nelson’s biggest impact comes with his ability to make plays on the football. He has a nose for the ball, and really goes after the ball when it is in the air. He is a great athlete and shows the speed to run plays down and keep up down the field in coverage.
Isn't Jimmy Williams being moved to free safety?

Shiver
02-05-2007, 03:58 PM
That's to be determined by the new coaching staff. Although, word is, Jimmy will stay at Corner. DeAngelo Hall said on the radio he could be a good corner, but a GREAT safety. Is that an indication of what the coaching staff is going to do? I don't know. I can see the rationale on both sides.

D-Rod
02-05-2007, 04:39 PM
I'm still not sure that any Schaub trade is likely to happen, but a trade with the Lions does seem feasible.

Another oft-mooted option would be the Jags at #17.

That could work perfectly, especially if JW is moved to FS.

We draft Levi at #10, then basically have our pick at #17 of Revis, Hall and Houston, in a position where all three are decent value.

I'd really like to see Hall and Houston together, that would really allow Zimmer to play some aggressive man-D. I'm not writing JW off just yet, and it would probably make our offseason easier if he does stay at CB; but I do just feel, as Hall said, that he could be a GREAT safety. His physical tools are as explosive as anyone who has ever played S.

Shiver
02-05-2007, 04:56 PM
Honestly, I would prefer moving Jimmy Williams to Safety. This time last year, I was convinced he was a Safety. The reason he fell in the draft is most teams figured him to be a Safety. When he played Corner, it was only out of necessity last year. Before all of the injuries he played near the L.O.S in 2-TE "run dominant" sets, while yielding to Kevin Mathis, and even Allen Rossum at CB in other situations. When you aren't playing Corner, over Allen Rossum, that really isn't good at all.

iloxygenil
02-05-2007, 05:47 PM
Honestly, I would prefer moving Jimmy Williams to Safety. This time last year, I was convinced he was a Safety. The reason he fell in the draft is most teams figured him to be a Safety. When he played Corner, it was only out of necessity last year. Before all of the injuries he played near the L.O.S in 2-TE "run dominant" sets, while yielding to Kevin Mathis, and even Allen Rossum at CB in other situations. When you aren't playing Corner, over Allen Rossum, that really isn't good at all.
Worst coaching staff in the NFL. Jimmy played amazing at corner when he did get in late in the season, sticking his man in coverage, but breaking off and playing the run INCREDIBLY. I mean the guy is a baller, and we would miss out, unless we can get a guy like Darrelle Revis as our 2nd corner.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
02-05-2007, 06:45 PM
We have no depth whatsoever at corner after Jimmy and DeAngelo. The #2 CB would be picked on the whole game, with the reciever going over 150 yards consistently.

Shiver
02-05-2007, 06:56 PM
There is a NFL Mock Off-season coming up. I don't have instant messaging, nor the time to fully dedicate myself to it. So I think Oxy, you should sign up, and I could be your Co-GM, or something.

ATLDirtyBirds
02-05-2007, 07:11 PM
I signed up for it, and said I'd like to have you, oxy, or scar, as my assistants.

iloxygenil
02-05-2007, 10:28 PM
I'm up for whatever. I'll be an assistant no problem, long as you don't back out again =) lol.

Number 10
02-05-2007, 10:30 PM
Is there any chance the Falcons release Dunn?

And I know many of you disagree with me, but I think Adrian Peterson is a legit possibility should he drop.

d34ng3l021
02-05-2007, 10:58 PM
There is a possibility that he slips, and if he does I think we will grab him and then figure out what to do with Dunn. I hope he doesnt go out like that...being cut....

evershot
02-05-2007, 11:17 PM
If the highest tender for Matt Shaub is a 1st and a 3rd what do you think is the possiblity that the Bears will try to sign Matt Shaub?

I ask this because the Bears 1st and 3rd are more like a 2nd and a 4th.

Shiver
02-06-2007, 03:17 AM

And I know many of you disagree with me, but I think Adrian Peterson is a legit possibility should he drop.

Warrick Dunn will remain on the roster, but his role is merely going to be a role player, no longer the starter. As for Adrian Peterson, I agree wholeheartedly. If he drops, he will be the Falcon. That said, I would be absolutely stunned if the Texans passed on him.

D-Rod
02-06-2007, 03:48 AM
Warrick Dunn will remain on the roster, but his role is merely going to be a role player, no longer the starter. As for Adrian Peterson, I agree wholeheartedly. If he drops, he will be the Falcon. That said, I would be absolutely stunned if the Texans passed on him.

Interestingly, I think that the Texans might be our main competition for both Levi and AD. One should fall, and either would be fine by me!

In fact, AD to ATL would be a great result for all parties. Both Norwood and AD are hugely talented playmakers, but both have slight durability concerns. Having them as running mates would balance out their carries, and neither would likely have more than 200 or so during a season. That would greatly ease the burden on their bodies, and enhance their careers - and they could still potentially rack up 1000 yards apiece. Atlanta would have the best RB pairing in the league for years and years. Not to mention Vick. Would THREE 1000 yard rushers in a season be out of the question? Hot.

D-Rod
02-06-2007, 03:50 AM
I signed up for it, and said I'd like to have you, oxy, or scar, as my assistants.

I'd be happy to help out too.

Shiver
02-06-2007, 03:51 AM
We could have. But I really hope Michael Vick doesn't run for 1,000 yards. I want him to become more like Donovan McNabb or Steve McNair.

D-Rod
02-06-2007, 04:17 AM
One more thought on the dilemma involving the left side of our O-line.

I think it is consensus opinion now that Levi Brown at LT and a free agent (Dielman/Dockery) at LG would be the ideal solution. However, there is a huge flaw in that as a gameplan: there is no guarantee that Brown will be there. If he is good enough for us at #10, then he is probably good enough for MIN, HOU and MIA, all of whom need an OT of some description. If he was not there, we would be left with W.Gandy and Omiyale. W.Gandy is no longer an acceptable solution, I think we can agree. And while Omiyale may emerge as a success, there is no way we can rely on that to start the season.

Therefore we need to go into the draft in a position where we will be comfortable with the left side even if Brown is taken ahead of us. My proposed solution is this.

There is no standout LT available in free agency. However, there are two guys who are naturally LGs, but could potentially hold down the fort at LT for at least a year if Brown is not available: Mike Gandy, and Eric Steinbach.

Mike Gandy has already proven that he is merely an adequate LT. If he wasn't good enough to stay there for the Bills, then he isn't good enough for us in the longterm. BUT he would be an improvement over W.Gandy, and he has at least proven that he can cope passably at LT, which is more than Omiyale. He'd be a decent stopgap for one more year...

Eric Steinbach is a class LG, and seems to have the tools to play LT. He has played there a few times, and has been solid, but not much more. He'd be the ideal choice. He could certainly play LT for a year better than Gandy, and could even evolve into a permanent solution. Problem is, he's going to be crazy expensive - and also, worryingly, the Bengals have stated that resigning him is their no.1 offseason priority.

Therefore I think that Gandy is the best solution for the time being. This is how I see it playing out:

We sign M.Gandy, with the prime intention that he is going to play LG. He played well there for the Bills this year. He will not be cheap, but he will be affordable.

We cut Wayne Gandy, primarily to free up cash to resign Kerney and sign a FS (either Ken Hamlin or Deon Grant).

Then in the draft, we take Levi Brown at #10 if available. Then Levi competes with Omiyale and Gandy for the starting position at LT. Ideally Levi wins, and Gandy then competes with Ojinnaka, Clabo, and Lehr for the job at LG. Gandy would probably win. Then our O-line would be very solid: Brown-Gandy-McClure-Forney-Weiner.

If Levi Brown is not available, or if someone who rates miles ahead of him does fall, then we just go BPA (whether that be FS, DE, DT or RB, it doesn't matter, there'll be a place for them). Fortunately we have a backup plan. Ideally, an OT would fall to our 2nd pick, but would probably not be ready to start - Staley needs a year to bulk up, Ugoh needs a year's polish.

Then M.Gandy would compete with Omiyale and possibly a rookie for LT. I'm not necessarily thrilled with either, but I'd be much happier with the best emerging from a competition than actually having to rely on just one. It gives us a decent chance of having solid LT play.

If Omiyale or the rookie wins, that's great, ideal scenario, and Gandy moves to LG. If Gandy wins, we can survive for a year, and hope that Omiyale or the rookie is ready in 2008, or manouever into position for one of the good LTs coming out next year. Then Ojinnaka would compete with Clabo and Lehr. Again, it's not ideal, but at least we have some healthy competition from which hopefully a solid performer would emerge.

A bit long, but I hope the reasoning is clear: Missing out on Brown would still be a problem, but if we sign Gandy, a good LG and passable LT, then at least we have the flexibility of competition to end up with something serviceable.

D-Rod
02-06-2007, 04:20 AM
We could have. But I really hope Michael Vick doesn't run for 1,000 yards. I want him to become more like Donovan McNabb or Steve McNair.

you're up late!

no, i agree that we don't necessarily want Vick to rush for 1000, but think about this: if his passing does improve in Petrino's spread system, and opponents have to back off and give the passing game more respect, that is going to open up some huge rushing lanes for Vick. Vick is much more special than either McNair or McNabb. He can be just as good a passer, but he is so much quicker than them. Neither of those guys could exploit a sit-back defense like Vick can. Why not exploit that, especially since Vick has shown the ability just to get out of bounds rather than seek the extra yards and take the hit.

iloxygenil
02-06-2007, 09:58 AM
I have a hard time believing that if Blalock was on the board in the 2nd that we'd pass on him, especially for McDonald. (in reference to Scott's draft) Also he has us passing on Houston as well, and even if we take Nelson in round one, if both of those guy are on the board, I'd say we take Blalock, but I think Houston could be a big pickup as well.

D-Rod
02-06-2007, 11:40 AM
I have a hard time believing that if Blalock was on the board in the 2nd that we'd pass on him, especially for McDonald. (in reference to Scott's draft) Also he has us passing on Houston as well, and even if we take Nelson in round one, if both of those guy are on the board, I'd say we take Blalock, but I think Houston could be a big pickup as well.

Yeah, i'd be very reluctant to pass on weddle, houston and blalock. that said, i do like mcdonald's versatility in terms of depth, and he could be a future starter at LDE.

And didn't i JUST say that Brown might go at 7,8, or 9! That would suck.

If the board fell like that, I'd take Nelson at #10 and Houston at #42 (ahead of Blalock, based on the fact that I think we'll sign a FA LG). Then for next year, the secondary would be Hall-Milloy-Nelson-Williams (Houston at NB, Webster released). Then in 2008, Williams would shift to SS, and the secondary would be Hall-Williams-Nelson-Houston. Would be the fastest secondary in the league, and probably the best in a year or two.

D-Rod
02-06-2007, 11:41 AM
That said, this is a pre-combine mock - I really doubt Houston is there at #42 after he rocks the combine.

JDB7821
02-06-2007, 02:03 PM
I just want ANYone to get our passing game going. If Vick doesn't get it done, I really believe Petrino will petition to bring Brohm in next year. We'd have to sell the draft to do it, but we did it for Vick, we can do it again.

Shiver
02-06-2007, 03:25 PM

you're up late!

no, i agree that we don't necessarily want Vick to rush for 1000, but think about this: if his passing does improve in Petrino's spread system, and opponents have to back off and give the passing game more respect, that is going to open up some huge rushing lanes for Vick. Vick is much more special than either McNair or McNabb. He can be just as good a passer, but he is so much quicker than them. Neither of those guys could exploit a sit-back defense like Vick can. Why not exploit that, especially since Vick has shown the ability just to get out of bounds rather than seek the extra yards and take the hit.

I agree, however, what I meant is I would rather have him put up 3,000+ and 600. I want to see more of the good Michael Vick. That is, end of '05, Bengals, Cowboys, Steelers of '06, version.

D-Rod
02-06-2007, 04:40 PM
I agree, however, what I meant is I would rather have him put up 3,000+ and 600. I want to see more of the good Michael Vick. That is, end of '05, Bengals, Cowboys, Steelers of '06, version.

Yeah, fair enough. I'd like to see the scramble be the fourth or fifth checkdown:

WR #1, TE, WR #2, RB, Scramble (or something along those lines)

If Vick can consistently get the time to progress through at least three checkdowns, our offense is going to get very good very quickly.

Grrr again at Dolphins potentially taking Brown.

Shiver
02-06-2007, 04:57 PM
Grrr again at Dolphins potentially taking Brown.

I know, it's sad. If both Brown and Thomas are taken before our pick, I will be very mad. Then again, it depends on Omiyale. Hopefully we will be hearing whispers of him showing up well in OTAs.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
02-06-2007, 05:34 PM
Hey Shiver, I dunno if you saw it or not, but Severe Punishment used yet another personal attack, directed at you. Obviously, Severe Punishment gets on people's nerves. But he gets on so many people's nerves that there was a petition for his banning a couple of days ago. I have the quote of his, and since I can't pm people, I would really appreciate it if you could send it to a mod, hopefully make this forum a better place.

You are such a clown it's not even funny

It happened in the "Food for thought" thread.

Please and thank you.

iloxygenil
02-06-2007, 05:54 PM
I am VERY excited for OTAs to get back here again. I love watching those videos online, and I'm anxious to see how the drills change, and the tempo changes. I want to see what he thinks about our offensive linemen when he gets here and gets to watch them actually go in his scheme vs that cut block stuff. I think this year could be a very rough transition if we don't get the right talent in here on the left side of the line.

Shiver
02-06-2007, 06:33 PM
Hey Shiver, I dunno if you saw it or not, but Severe Punishment used yet another personal attack, directed at you. Obviously, Severe Punishment gets on people's nerves. But he gets on so many people's nerves that there was a petition for his banning a couple of days ago. I have the quote of his, and since I can't pm people, I would really appreciate it if you could send it to a mod, hopefully make this forum a better place.

You are such a clown it's not even funny

It happened in the "Food for thought" thread.

Please and thank you.

That guy just tries to be as confrontational as he can possibly be.

SimonRath
02-06-2007, 07:21 PM
would you guys want to draft Merriweather in round 2 if we get Gaines Adams, Jamaal Anderson, Adrian Peterson orCalvin Johsnon.. i would rather get Weddle but if he's gone then would you want Merriweather??

d34ng3l021
02-06-2007, 08:38 PM
would you guys want to draft Merriweather in round 2 if we get Gaines Adams, Jamaal Anderson, Adrian Peterson orCalvin Johsnon.. i would rather get Weddle but if he's gone then would you want Merriweather??

I would WANT him, but I dont know if the FO would draft him, if they have that BS Filter thing going on.

iloxygenil
02-06-2007, 10:12 PM
I am fine with Merriweather, but Weddle is my top choice in the 2nd round.

I think Merriweather isn't physical enough, I dunno though. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. He seems to be more of a cornerback, which I want, because I want a center fielder, but I think he'll be lacking on those few times we do need thunderous hits to keep the offense honest. I know that's the SS's job a lot of the time, but a guy like Nelson who can still bring the pain, not all the time, but often enough, makes a big difference. Sanders doesn't bring a ton of pain, but he does like once a game.

I think Aaron Rouse could fit here really well too, unless we move Crocker to backup Strong. Then I'm not sure we need to get 2 Safetys, but at the same time I think Rouse is much more promising than Crocker, but I dunno. Then the whole scenario with Demorrio and Hartwell etc. I'm not sure what is going to happen yet, we have way too many question marks. Finally got one coaching staff figured out but they sucked =/ lol. This one needs to stay in place for a very long time.

Shiver
02-07-2007, 02:25 AM
I think the intention is to move Crocker to SS. That is his natural position.

Shiver
02-07-2007, 02:57 AM
I am excited, now that Arthur Blank said we have nine, count 'em, NINE, draft picks. Likely got compensation for Kevin Shaffer, maybe Barry Stokes. Certainly, this will be an exciting off-season. I feel sorry for those sad Redskins fans who also are draftniks. :lol:

iloxygenil
02-07-2007, 09:11 AM
If we really do have 9 picks this is going to be a pretty intense draft. I LOVE how many 4th round picks we have if we get compensation for Shaffer in the 4th (which I think will be actually the end of the 3rd) But the 4th round is my favorite round to find gems in. I think teams are more prepared at the beginning of day 2 than they are the end of day 1. Everything gets a little crazy, and the boards get mixed around.

What if we selected Nelson and Gattis? I mean we do need depth at Safety, especially at Free if we move Crocker where he belongs...so, I guess we'll find out soon, I'm just sick of all this anticipation.

SimonRath
02-07-2007, 02:16 PM
Bout this..

*Trade for Gabril Wilson*
*Sign Ken Hamlin or Deon Grant*
*Trade Chris Crocker*
*Trade Schaub for a 1st or early 2nd round pick*

Draft
1st: Gaines Adams
2nd: Joe Staley
2nd: Tony Ugoh or Josh Beekman
3rd: Dwayne Wright
4th: Justin Madlock
5th: David Ball

Shiver
02-07-2007, 02:19 PM
If we really do have 9 picks this is going to be a pretty intense draft. I LOVE how many 4th round picks we have if we get compensation for Shaffer in the 4th (which I think will be actually the end of the 3rd) But the 4th round is my favorite round to find gems in. I think teams are more prepared at the beginning of day 2 than they are the end of day 1. Everything gets a little crazy, and the boards get mixed around.

What if we selected Nelson and Gattis? I mean we do need depth at Safety, especially at Free if we move Crocker where he belongs...so, I guess we'll find out soon, I'm just sick of all this anticipation.

We have;

1st
2nd
3rd
4th (from Denver trade)
4th (from Shaffer)
4th
5th
6th
7th (from Stokes)

We lose a 6/7 for Gandy.

falconsrule
02-07-2007, 02:51 PM

We have;

1st
2nd
3rd
4th (from Denver trade)
4th (from Shaffer)
4th
5th
6th
7th (from Stokes)

We lose a 6/7 for Gandy.

Thats sweet right there....I really like Scotts pick(Nelson)but if we wanted Nelson I think a trade down would be the best option for us...Even though I would love to have Nelson in our secondary..I still think we should trade down and take the best safty available weather its Nelson or Landry....I was watching ESPN and they said that its possible that we take Ginn at 10 how do you guys feel about this?

Shiver
02-07-2007, 02:57 PM
I want no part in Ted Ginn JR, but that's just me.

d34ng3l021
02-07-2007, 03:12 PM

Agreed.

I would much rather have Jarret, but thats not saying much because I dont want a WR in the first all together.

Shiver
02-07-2007, 03:52 PM
When does the O.T.A begin?

JDB7821
02-07-2007, 04:32 PM

Agreed.

I would much rather have Jarret, but thats not saying much because I dont want a WR in the first all together.
I think we could get a great WR or DE in the 2nd round. Both of those positions are loaded, which will cause some great players to fall to our 2nd pick. I'd rather go DE, but I wouldn't be upset if we drafted Bowe, Meachem, etc. at 42.

catcher_0_3
02-07-2007, 08:41 PM

Agreed.

If we can some how make a move to get Calvin "The Freak" Johnson, you have to do it. He's the best WR prospect probably ever, we have 9 draft picks too, so there is room to trade up. I say get Calvin, get a safety, get some O-line depth, and I will call it a solid draft.

iloxygenil
02-07-2007, 10:32 PM

Agreed.

If we can some how make a move to get Calvin "The Freak" Johnson, you have to do it. He's the best WR prospect probably ever, we have 9 draft picks too, so there is room to trade up. I say get Calvin, get a safety, get some O-line depth, and I will call it a solid draft.
Schaub package with #10 to Detroit if he doesn't go #1 overall.

D-Rod
02-08-2007, 08:46 AM
When does the O.T.A begin?

Dunno. They're going to be so important this year, because the new staff is going to have to assess the players in person so quickly...

If we did move up to #2, i'd be incredibly torn between CJ and JT. It would depend on how Omiyale was doing...

iloxygenil
02-08-2007, 12:56 PM
no way, it'd have to be for CJ. I mean, Thomas is a monster, but it's CJ...really. He's stellar. But if CJ goes one, then I think Thomas would have to be the pick at #2, but at the same time, All Day would be amazing as well...

Shiver
02-08-2007, 02:53 PM
I think we have an excellent shot at Eric Steinbach. Hue Jackson was beloved by those players. Meanwhile, if their is one 'big name' free agent acquisition it will be on the O-Line.

scar988
02-08-2007, 04:16 PM

And I know many of you disagree with me, but I think Adrian Peterson is a legit possibility should he drop.I don't disagree. I disagree with Lynch being value at 10. but I would love to have Peterson at 10.

D-Rod
02-08-2007, 05:39 PM
I think we have an excellent shot at Eric Steinbach. Hue Jackson was beloved by those players. Meanwhile, if their is one 'big name' free agent acquisition it will be on the O-Line.

I'd assumed that after tying up Jones and Anderson to huge extensions, they'd spent enough money on the o-line; but apparently Steinbach is the Bengals no.1 offseason priority.

However, given that he is so close to the free market, he'd be crazy not to have a go. But even if he does, does he actually fit the mauling OG type? He's a great guard, but his one downside is lack of real power.

Could be a great tackle... will be interesting to see what happens there.

[And a Norwood / AD combo would be SICK!!]

SimonRath
02-08-2007, 05:57 PM
What do you guys think about getting John Abbate if h fallso to the 4th or 5th round??

d34ng3l021
02-08-2007, 09:31 PM

Agreed.

I would say that Larry Fitz was a better prospect, but thats just me...

If we do move up to trade him, I wont be dissapointed. It really depends on how much we give up...I mean sure we can give Vick all the stud recievers he needs but we also need to give him a line. What ...was it Shiver? said about Steinbach wanting to come here is GREAT GREAT GREAT news, but our left tackle position is doing very bad now. If we trade up to #2 and grab CJ I wouldnt have a problem with it, but I would be a bit dissapointed on passing up Joe Thomas, who is also an elite prospect at a position we need.

If CJ drops past 5, I would be estatic to trade up for him...But who knows how Petrino will handle his 9 picks. Does he want all of them and build throught the draft or will he try to trade up and get the marquee players?

scar988
02-09-2007, 08:37 AM
well if we trade up and get CJ that would be great. Also, Steinbach could be a great fit at LT and we could try out Clabo and Omiyale at LG and have a better player than Lehr IMO.

iloxygenil
02-09-2007, 11:36 AM
I really like Clabo, he's a beast, and played exceptionally well when given the chance. I am definitely a fan.

SimonRath
02-09-2007, 12:23 PM
What do we have to give up to get Willis McGahee since there is a small chance to get Adrian Peterson

D-Rod
02-09-2007, 02:22 PM
What do we have to give up to get Willis McGahee since there is a small chance to get Adrian Peterson

Bills would be looking for a load, so that's unlikely to happen. But you're right, Big Willie would be great lined up with Norwood. If we don't get a big back this year, it's not impossible that we pick up McGahee at the end of next year as a FA (i think he becomes a FA then), though the salary will hurt...

D-Rod
02-09-2007, 02:26 PM
well if we trade up and get CJ that would be great. Also, Steinbach could be a great fit at LT and we could try out Clabo and Omiyale at LG and have a better player than Lehr IMO.

If our staff think that Steinbach CAN play LT - some will, some won't - then I'd like to see them jump at it. The salary will be large, but that shouldn't be an obstacle. Even top end, it would be around $6mill this year - and given that we would save $4 mill by dumping Gandy, it would only be a $2 mill increase.

Then the LG competition would be Omiyale and Clabo, plus Ojinnaka and Lehr. I'm sure that one of those guys would step up and be a solid starter. Clabo was sound in pass protection last year, but struggled in the ZBS running game. Hopefully he will take to the power run game better, and we could have a good'un.

SimonRath
02-09-2007, 02:29 PM

Bills would be looking for a load, so that's unlikely to happen. But you're right, Big Willie would be great lined up with Norwood. If we don't get a big back this year, it's not impossible that we pick up McGahee at the end of next year as a FA (i think he becomes a FA then), though the salary will hurt...

I am not possitive but i dont think McGahee is too happy in Buffalo.. As much as i would love to get him as a free agent, I am kind of leaning toward getting a rookie in the draft and develope him and Norwood intoa great 1 2 punch

d34ng3l021
02-09-2007, 08:56 PM

I dont think he would be a great fit. I post up a Steinbach topic in the Bengals Forum in FF, and one of the ugys brought up the point that he would be undersized at Tackle, because he is only 290 and I think I remember something about how when one of their tackles went down, LT I think, Steinbach didnt replace him, but the back up did or something.

zCALz
02-09-2007, 11:31 PM
I think we should sign Dockery for are guard position and draft levi brown or just see if omiyale or someone can take the job.

Shiver
02-10-2007, 03:45 PM
I think we should sign Dockery for are guard position and draft levi brown or just see if omiyale or someone can take the job.

I would love to have Dockery and Levi Brown;

LT - Levi Brown [6'5" 325]
LG - Derrick Dockery [6'6" 335]
C - Todd McClure [6'1" 290]
RG - Kynan Forney [6'3" 310]
RT - Todd Weiner [6'4" 300]

I rounded up on the right side, since they will be asked to get stronger.

SimonRath
02-10-2007, 03:52 PM
What do you guys think about these Free Agents that would look good in Red Black and Red.

Eric Steinbach OL
Justin Smith DE
D.J. Hackett WR
Leonard Davis OL
Mike Gandy OL
Derrick Dockery OL
Jared Allen DE
Cory Redding DE
Nate Clements CB
Ken Hamlin S
Jordan Babineaux S
Deon Grant S
Michael Lewis S
Gibril Wilson S

zCALz
02-10-2007, 03:55 PM
I think we should take a look at Wilson he should help are safty position alot

Shiver
02-10-2007, 03:58 PM
Dockery and then address the rest of our needs in the draft.

SimonRath
02-10-2007, 04:01 PM

You dont like any of the S's available.. I really like some of them.. Plus Leonard Davis could be a very cheap OT

iamarevolution8
02-10-2007, 04:11 PM
What do you guys think about these Free Agents that would look good in Red Black and Red.

Eric Steinbach OL
Justin Smith DE
D.J. Hackett WR
Leonard Davis OL
Mike Gandy OL
Derrick Dockery OL
Jared Allen DE
Cory Redding DE
Nate Clements CB
Ken Hamlin S
Jordan Babineaux S
Deon Grant S
Michael Lewis S
Gibril Wilson S

Ken Hamlin and Drew Bennett would both be nice additions. Bennett is like an upgraded Finneran. I think he would work well with Vick.

SimonRath
02-10-2007, 04:14 PM

Eric Steinbach OL
Justin Smith DE
D.J. Hackett WR
Leonard Davis OL
Mike Gandy OL
Derrick Dockery OL
Jared Allen DE
Cory Redding DE
Nate Clements CB
Ken Hamlin S
Jordan Babineaux S
Deon Grant S
Michael Lewis S
Gibril Wilson S

Ken Hamlin and Drew Bennett would both be nice additions. Bennett is like an upgraded Finneran. I think he would work well with Vick.

Yea, Hamlin would be great. But i am not big on Bennett, Finneran in still good, and i think we should draft a young WR who could replace Finneram in about 2 years, Like David Ball

zCALz
02-10-2007, 10:01 PM
If a guy like donte stallworth was a free agent do you guys think we should pick him up.

Shiver
02-10-2007, 10:36 PM

You dont like any of the S's available.. I really like some of them.. Plus Leonard Davis could be a very cheap OT

Leonard Davis is not an NFL Left Tackle, his play in Arizona proved as much.

scar988
02-11-2007, 02:25 AM

Leonard Davis is not an NFL Left Tackle, his play in Arizona proved as much.no but he is an NFL Left Guard and would fit very well with the get some size movement Petrino is about to start.

Draft King
02-11-2007, 08:16 AM
I like the idea of signing Dockery in free agency then picking up Levi Brown in the draft, it would vastly improve our offensive line. We would then have the freedom to pick whoever in the 2nd round, I'm hoping a guy like Brandon Meriweather drops there.

ATLDirtyBirds
02-11-2007, 09:11 AM
I really love Meriweather, but I just don't think we will go with him because of the OTF issues.

catcher_0_3
02-11-2007, 01:29 PM
I don't see the Falcons going after a RB early or a big named RB like McGahee. We already have Jerious who is the future, we just need a bigger back, not one of the same build. Look at our redzone numbers this past year, it was clear that we missed Duckett, so now we need to replace him.

Also I saw someone mentioned John Abbate, the guy is a tackling machine. I watched him at the ACC Championship game this kid can play.

I'm assuming we are going to stick to the same running game strategy with Petrino coming in, so I wouldn't expect a high pick to be used to grab a O-lineman, not that I agree, I just don't see it happening.

Number 10
02-11-2007, 01:53 PM
Clayton thinks the Falcons are going to cut Hartwell. What do you guys think? Is his contract that big?

Shiver
02-11-2007, 01:56 PM
Zimmer's defenses in Dallas relied upon fast flow, athletic, linebackers. I never saw Hartwell being a good fit in the first place. He has been horrid, even when healthy, these past two seasons.

Number 10
02-11-2007, 01:59 PM
Zimmer's defenses in Dallas relied upon fast flow, athletic, linebackers. I never saw Hartwell being a good fit in the first place. He has been horrid, even when healthy, these past two seasons.

Hm.

He used to have a reputation of being fast and aggressive, but I guess his injuries have hampered him since coming from Baltimore.

Shiver
02-11-2007, 02:01 PM
Yeah, that Achilles injury was a killer.

Shiver
02-11-2007, 05:44 PM
Levi Brown is up to 12th on Mel's big board. Now we just have to hope those pesky Dolphins don't take him ahead of us.

SimonRath
02-11-2007, 06:04 PM
Levi Brown is up to 12th on Mel's big board. Now we just have to hope those pesky Dolphins don't take him ahead of us.

you really want Levi Brown?? I mean he's pretty good, but i dont really like him at #10

d34ng3l021
02-11-2007, 07:55 PM

you really want Levi Brown?? I mean he's pretty good, but i dont really like him at #10

Yeah. Just keep coming to this forum and listen to Shiver enough, you will like him at 10 soon enough too.

Shiver
02-12-2007, 12:08 AM

Yes I do. I think O-Line is, or at least, should be the top priority. Levi Brown's only issues are correctable, things like technique and footwork. He has all the tools to be a very good Left Tackle. Meanwhile, we have a 36-year old, over the hill, Left Tackle who yielded nine sacks in the most run oriented offense in football. Backing him up is our 5th round project, Frank Omiyale, who hasn't played.

iloxygenil
02-12-2007, 01:09 AM
Yep, LG and LT are huge problem spots for us. I'm not so sure we need to reach for Levi @ 10, but to be perfectly honest I am pretty sold on the fact we will not be selecting from the #10 position.

As far as the Hartwell cut goes, I don't ever see that happening. I could see him being traded, but his guaranteed money makes him a hard move. Possibly part of a package deal with Schaub and #10 to move somewhere else...who knows...it's all going to depend on what Zimmer likes. If we do decide to move out of the top 10 though, and we trade Hartwell, I wouldn't doubt seeing Patrick Willis in a Falcons uni.

TheChampIsHere
02-12-2007, 03:42 AM
Yep, LG and LT are huge problem spots for us. I'm not so sure we need to reach for Levi @ 10, but to be perfectly honest I am pretty sold on the fact we will not be selecting from the #10 position.

As far as the Hartwell cut goes, I don't ever see that happening. I could see him being traded, but his guaranteed money makes him a hard move. Possibly part of a package deal with Schaub and #10 to move somewhere else...who knows...it's all going to depend on what Zimmer likes. If we do decide to move out of the top 10 though, and we trade Hartwell, I wouldn't doubt seeing Patrick Willis in a Falcons uni.

I dont see Levi as a reach at 10. Theres a good chance he wont be there at 10 considering the Dolphins or Texans could easily take him...I dont see why the Falcons wouldnt pick at 10 considering that they get solid values on Reggie Nelson or Levi Brown there and both fill major needs. Why trade out of that. I wouldnt be surprised if they acquired another high pick, maybe a first rounder, in some deal involving Schaub. But I fully expect ATL to sit at 10 and grab either Nelson or Brown....or possibly someone like Alan Branch, Jamaal Anderson or Gaines Adams if they should slip to 10, which is very possible. They dont fill major needs, but its not like the Falcons couldnt use some DL help and those guys could be too to pass up. They could use a better DT to pair with Rod Coleman and Kerney is FA and Abraham cant stay healthy.

SimonRath
02-12-2007, 06:23 AM

Now that brings up an interesting idea.. Trade Hartwell and Schaub for a 1st round pick and get Willis.. That would be cool, but i doubt we get a MLB in the 1st round. We do have Beck and we'd probably draft a MLB in the later rounds like Desmnd Bishop in the 5th-7th rounds.. Hartwell has been pretty much awfull in his years here and I would't be mad to see him go.

SimonRath
02-12-2007, 06:25 AM

I dont see Levi as a reach at 10. Theres a good chance he wont be there at 10 considering the Dolphins or Texans could easily take him...I dont see why the Falcons wouldnt pick at 10 considering that they get solid values on Reggie Nelson or Levi Brown there and both fill major needs. Why trade out of that. I wouldnt be surprised if they acquired another high pick, maybe a first rounder, in some deal involving Schaub. But I fully expect ATL to sit at 10 and grab either Nelson or Brown....or possibly someone like Alan Branch, Jamaal Anderson or Gaines Adams if they should slip to 10, which is very possible. They dont fill major needs, but its not like the Falcons couldnt use some DL help and those guys could be too to pass up. They could use a better DT to pair with Rod Coleman and Kerney is FA and Abraham cant stay healthy.

I would rather get a later pick with the Schau trade and get Levi Brown then, or wait and get aa LG, LT in the 2nd rounds

iamarevolution8
02-12-2007, 12:56 PM
I disagree with drafting a MLB in the 1st even if we have 2 first rounders. I think we should move Brooking back to the middle and start Demorrio if he comes back. When our LB's were playing in those positions our defense was lights out. 1 TD in 5 games....

If we have two 1sts, I think the 1st pick should be BPA, hopefully OL or the DT from Louisville. His upside is too much to pass up.

I disagree with taking a safety in the 1st also. There are too many good safeties that will be available in the 2nd. Grittin, Merriweather, Weddle, ect..

I am hoping that we won't even have to address safety in the draft due to picking up Ken Hamlin. Our OL needs as much help as possible so we need to fix as many problem areas in FA as possible.

Cut Hartwell, he's a theif....

Shiver
02-12-2007, 01:27 PM
I don't see how Levi Brown is a reach. Everywhere I go, he is considered a top-10 pick. The NFL scouts panel at the Combine had him as a top-5 senior, top-10 overall, even before his very good week at the Senior Bowl. The problem is, he might be taken by the Dolphins at #9, or to the Cardinals in a trade down.

Then again; I am fine with a lot of picks. I am not too 'picky,' so to speak. The only player I wouldn't like is Ted Ginn JR. That said; the priority needs to be on the O-Line, as well as the D-Line. Levi Brown is my preliminary favorite as of this moment. If Frank Omiyale has a big O.T.A, then I will likely move onto Gaines Adams, Alan Branch, Amobi Okoye and Jamaal Anderson. Coleman, Kerney, Abraham and Jackson are all far too old, with no depth behind them. Trench play needs to be the focus of our '07 off-season. You can win with mediocre receivers and secondary, if you dominate up front.

Shiver
02-12-2007, 03:03 PM

Yeah. Just keep coming to this forum and listen to Shiver enough, you will like him at 10 soon enough too.

Well, I don't worry about being alone in my opinion. I remember last year, I wanted Tamba Hali, when no one else wanted him. In looking back, I think most of the people who disagreed with me would have preferred to have him over John Abraham.

Shiver
02-12-2007, 04:09 PM
Very exciting articles:

'No coddling of Vick'
New offensive coordinator says QB 'excited' about audible freedom

By STEVE WYCHE
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 02/12/07

Falcons quarterback Michael Vick may be the team's most recognizable and highly paid player but the new coaching staff, led by head coach Bobby Petrino, could care less.

"There will be no coddling of Michael Vick," offensive coordinator Hue Jackson said in an exclusive interview with the AJC Monday. "We're not going to coddle Michael Vick. This is not a demerit system wh ere we say, 'Okay we're going to deal with this guy this way and this guy that way.' We're going to coach them all hard and he knows that. We have an expectation of him and I think he'll be the first to tell you that I'm not afraid to say anything to him and I'm not afraid to say anything to anyone on this offense.

"There is an expectation and that's what we're going to get. I don't care what the position is. That's the way we see it and that's the way we're going to deal with it."

Vick was not available for comment.

Jackson, hired from Cincinnati, where he was the Bengals' wide receivers coach, said he speaks with Vick every two days and the quarterback is eager to start learning the new offensive system.

Petrino and Jackson said Vick will be allowed to audible at the line of scrimmage and that the quarterback is excited about the change. Vick was not allowed to alter a run play to a pass or a pass to a run under the previous coaching staff, headed by Jim Mora and offensive coordinator Greg Knapp.

"He is very excited almost to a point where he's, "Give me all the information now,'" Jackson said. "He's chomping at the bit. Our expectation is our quarterback is the extension of us and he's the guy running the show. He should get it all and he should be able to handle that. We expect our quarterback to do more than anybody on this football team. He should do more. He's going to hit the right calls. He has to hit the right calls."

That has me very excited. One, Vick is biting at the bits to master the offense, a far cry from '04, when he admitted he thought too high of himself and didn't dedicate himself. Two, that this coaching staff, unlike the last one will be demanding of their players, to do their jobs. If Michael Vick is ever going to be an M.V.P type player, that is what he needs.

There he was in the barn, home of the Georgia Force, Arthur Blank's Arena Football team. WR Roddy White was hauling in balls from the jugs machine, a few days after the Super Bowl with the AFL players set to arrive. He could have been on vacation, getting on with his offseason. But White, whose second season was marred by dropped passes, knows he'll have to catch everything within his zip code or risk possibly slipping out of the league. Whatever happens to the hot-and-cold former first-round pick from Alabama-Birmingham, you can't question his work ethic. White has speed and has made some spectacular catches. The routine ones bother him, and that's directly attributed to a lack of concentration. If he can focus and harness his physical gifts, he might be able to salvage a once-promising career.

Roddy White could develop into a dynamite receiver. If Vick takes to the new offense, which will be more balanced, and White starts playing consistently, he could be our Lee Evans. An explosive, down the field, 1,000 yard receiver.

Shiver
02-12-2007, 04:23 PM
Luke Petitgout was cut! He's a lot better than Wayne Gandy, and younger, I wouldn't mind signing him to start at Left Tackle.

D-Rod
02-12-2007, 05:44 PM
Luke Petitgout was cut! He's a lot better than Wayne Gandy, and younger, I wouldn't mind signing him to start at Left Tackle.

That's a definite possibility. If he's healed up properly, that would be a great grab. Problem is, he could be VERY expensive.

There's been more talk recently of Steinbach actually being able to play LT, which had been something of a long shot.

Maybe we're not going to enter the draft desperate for an LT after all.

JDB7821
02-12-2007, 06:17 PM
What do you guys think about getting John Abbate if h fallso to the 4th or 5th round??
I'm the biggest advocate for Jon Abbate you'll find. I think he would be the perfect replacement for Hartwell.

Shiver
02-12-2007, 06:31 PM
I don't think we need to replace Hartwell, from outside the team. Jordan Beck is highly valued by the team, he fits the usual Zimmer MLB near perfectly.

d34ng3l021
02-12-2007, 08:24 PM
I don't think we need to replace Hartwell, from outside the team. Jordan Beck is highly valued by the team, he fits the usual Zimmer MLB near perfectly.

Nice sig.

Dont really have anything to contribute to the discussion. Just trying to get my post count up.

SimonRath
02-12-2007, 08:26 PM
I'm the biggest advocate for Jon Abbate you'll find. I think he would be the perfect replacement for Hartwell.

Same here, he may be small be he can play.. if he falls to the 5th or 6th round we should get him, it's be great value incase we drop Hartwell

Shiver
02-12-2007, 11:12 PM

That's a definite possibility. If he's healed up properly, that would be a great grab. Problem is, he could be VERY expensive.

Not enough to sway me away from him. Wayne Gandy being cut would almost equalize it.

There's been more talk recently of Steinbach actually being able to play LT, which had been something of a long shot.

He may be willing to follow Hue Jackson.

Maybe we're not going to enter the draft desperate for an LT after all.

That's all we can hope.

d34ng3l021
02-12-2007, 11:27 PM

Dont know how likely that is...the OL following the WR coach?

Shiver
02-12-2007, 11:31 PM

Willie Anderson was quoted as being very upset that Hue is gone. *shrugs*

d34ng3l021
02-12-2007, 11:49 PM

Willie Anderson was quoted as being very upset that Hue is gone. *shrugs*

Of course there is a chance. Also helps having Hue here to help persuade the FO.

iloxygenil
02-13-2007, 12:32 AM
Hue was exceptionally well liked in Cincy. So it's not unlikely to think that Stein wouldn't be willing to follow him. Familiarity is always a positive, if the experience was a positive the first time around. So, I like the way this thing is shaping up, but if we do get him, I'm not sure he's going to fit exactly what Bobby is looking for as far as a mauler goes, and I think that's what we need at Left Tackle...which is why a prospect like Arron Sears is exciting. Guy is a beast, and can do the power attack no problem.

d34ng3l021
02-13-2007, 03:17 AM
Yep...

The offseason moves to slowly. They needa pack it in a span of 2 months and then play some more football.

Shiver
02-13-2007, 03:23 AM
In my mock I have us taking Gaines Adams. I think he could make it to us, because he may not 'test' well, and will slide. That sounds like a Rich McKay pick, taking an unexpected faller.

georgiafan
02-13-2007, 07:26 AM
What does everyone think the chances of falcons drafting a power RB is and what round ?

iloxygenil
02-13-2007, 12:44 PM
Okay, so, I'm tired of the speculation. I need to know what is going to happen with Hartwell, Schaub, Demorrio, JG, Wayne Gandy, Allen Rossum, and everyone else out there. It's driving me insane. I want to know what we're going to get as compensation from the players we lost last season. I am very anxious to see the draft strategy, which we obviously will not know until afterwards. It's all driving me crazy!

iloxygenil
02-13-2007, 12:45 PM
What does everyone think the chances of falcons drafting a power RB is and what round ?
This will happen. What round, I don't know, but we'll have to get one, and it wouldn't surprise me if it was pretty early on, like 3rd round, a guy like Tony Hunt...

Shiver
02-13-2007, 12:58 PM
Michael Bush in round 3!

iloxygenil
02-13-2007, 01:03 PM
Exceptionally exciting news...this was from the AJC

"Mike Zimmer is very knowledgeable," said former Falcons and Cowboys cornerback Deion Sanders, who played for Zimmer in Dallas. "They're getting a head coaching personality in a defensive coordinator's role. He doesn't take anything from the players, and he's able to utilize what he has. He puts every guy in the best situations to contribute, and he challenges every guy. He challenged me every day."

Shiver
02-13-2007, 01:46 PM
We definitely have a 'no-nonsense' coaching staff. Exactly what we needed. Michael Vick and DeAngelo Hall, specifically, I felt, were "coddled" by Mora and co. They should be a lot better, mostly in terms of consistency, than what they have been, as of late.

SimonRath
02-13-2007, 01:49 PM
do any of you guys know about how much we'd have to pay Steinback to play for us, and what are the chances that he comes here?

Shiver
02-13-2007, 02:38 PM
I hear Charles Johnson is really skyrocketing up draft boards, and will amaze at the combine. I cannot wait until the UGA fans start demanding for Rich McKay to draft him. :lol: Honestly, however, I wouldn't mind to have him.

Shiver
02-13-2007, 02:54 PM
The Falcons are adjusting how they stack their draft board based on the preferences of new coach Bobby Petrino and his staff. The coaches recently filled out a form to give scouts parameters of the attributes they are looking for at every position. That topic was discussed in detail at a recent all-day meeting, and the team's grades subsequently were adjusted to reflect the coaches' wishes. The biggest change for the team will be how it grades offensive linemen. Petrino still wants athletic blockers, but size also is a priority for him, especially with interior linemen. The former staff emphasized quickness over size. . . .

iloxygenil
02-13-2007, 03:39 PM
Charles Johnson is cool and all, and I think he will be effective in the pros, but I must say I think anything earlier than our 2nd round pick would be a HUGE miss on our part. This DE class is supreme, and to be honest, @ #10 there are only 2 guys worth a look, Anderson and Adams. DTs Amobi is high, based on what he CAN be. He's right now, nothing more than a 3rd round talent, with a ceiling that is astronomical. So, I think in the end he's going to go way higher than he SHOULD go. Branch has skills, but I dunno, I'm just not sold on him.

I'm still thinkin we have to make a move for Calvin, if we can do it without throwing the baby out with the bathwater

Shiver
02-13-2007, 03:57 PM
Well, Charles Johnson is going to run a 4.6, maybe a 4.5, at 6'3" 275. He had a great Junior season. I don't think it would be a reach, because he certainly wouldn't be available even by mid-first, let alone second round.

SimonRath
02-13-2007, 04:18 PM
My hopes is us getting Deon Grant and Ken hamlin and Eric Stainbach

iloxygenil
02-13-2007, 05:46 PM
Well, Charles Johnson is going to run a 4.6, maybe a 4.5, at 6'3" 275. He had a great Junior season. I don't think it would be a reach, because he certainly wouldn't be available even by mid-first, let alone second round.
I'm going to bet that he runs in the mid 4.6s to low 4.7s. Which is still VERY solid. I like his size, except for he's a little shorter than you'd IDEALLY like. He's powerful, and a very good player, but overall, first rounder? Meh, I think there are too many GREAT DEs to come out of this draft, for him to go in the first. If he does, I expect it will be a record for most DEs ever taken in the first round.

Anyone know where I can find the records for stuff about the draft...most players in 1st round by 1 school, most players at position X in the first round etc?

I can see 4 legit first round DEs this year. The most I could see going in round 1 though, would be 6, and that would be a HUGE number of players from the DE position, and I see him, somewhere between 5-8 as far as DEs go currently, and I don't see him moving up past 5 in my book, so I mean he COULD go first, but to say he's not a reach at 10, that's just insane.

d34ng3l021
02-13-2007, 06:13 PM
Hey, do you guys know of any Vick highlights of this season or the 2002 to download?

Shiver
02-13-2007, 08:31 PM
This is definitely the year of the Pass Rusher run.

Adams
Anderson
Johnson
Moss
Carriker
Spencer
Abiamiri
Crowder

I predict all of those have a shot at round 1.

SimonRath
02-13-2007, 08:34 PM
This is definitely the year of the Pass Rusher run.

Adams
Anderson
Johnson
Moss
Carriker
Spencer
Abiamiri
Crowder

I predict all of those have a shot at round 1.

Thats a pretty scary sack class... I wouldn't mind Adams, Anderson, Moses(kind of a OLB but), or Spencer

Shiver
02-13-2007, 08:37 PM
I would love to grab one at our 10th pick.

SimonRath
02-13-2007, 08:42 PM
would you be up to getting both Grant and Hamlin.. I know we got Milloy and the other guy, but I like both Grant and Hamlin and cant choose between them 2

d34ng3l021
02-14-2007, 12:48 AM
would you be up to getting both Grant and Hamlin.. I know we got Milloy and the other guy, but I like both Grant and Hamlin and cant choose between them 2

Personally, I am not a fan of either. Its probably just me though. I would rather just want Weddle or Merriweather in the 2nd.

D-Rod
02-14-2007, 03:19 AM
well, this would suck lots. SD interviewing Zimmer.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/02/13/0214zimmer.html

that said, SD is interviewing a ton of guys, and are likely to stick with the 3-4, so we're porbably safe. but still, zimmer is one of the most exciting additions this offseason. we'd also struggle to get a good DC now...

as to FS, I am positive that McKay will not go into the draft needing two FS. So either JW will play there, or we will sign a FA, and only Grant and Hamlin are starter quality.

iloxygenil
02-14-2007, 12:35 PM
WOOHOO! DEADLYFIRE is back! That's very exciting. Anyway...

Zimmer is locked in here, I'm pretty sure anyway. I know he wanted a HC job, but, he came here because of Bobby, I think we'll be able to maintain him. I'm certain that SD is LOCKED in on the whole 3-4 Defense, that's what they built there, and they don't need to change it.

Shiver
02-14-2007, 02:53 PM
WOOHOO! DEADLYFIRE is back! That's very exciting. Anyway...

:?:

Shiver
02-14-2007, 03:46 PM
According to Steve Wyche, his team sources say:

The team is likely to resign Kerney.

While, it's unlikely they resign Justin Griffith

Neither of those are a surprise. Kerney is still a very good Defensive End, as long as we don't over-pay him, I am fine with it. As for Griffith, not surprising. The FB position really isn't needed in Petrino's scheme, which implements more spread formations, with 3+ WRs, and H-Back Tight Ends. Now if that comes about, Defensive End falls on the priority list. All that is needed, is a rush end to spell Kerney. Then we would have Davis backing up Abraham, and *insert draftee*, backing up Abraham.

iloxygenil
02-14-2007, 05:42 PM
If we don't re-sign Griffith we're STUPID. He's the top fullback in the league, period. Someone will get him and he'll be a monster for them. However, if we do re-sign Kerney (which we shouldn't do because of the $$$) and don't bring back JG, we're looking at the selection of Brian Leonard, which wouldn't hurt my feelings. But having to spend a day 1 pick to re-place him, sucks.

Shiver
02-14-2007, 06:10 PM
That's the thing, Petrino's offense doesn't utilize the FB, nearly as much as Knapp's did. Now, Brian Leonard would be an ideal fit, as a power RB/H-Back hybrid.

d34ng3l021
02-14-2007, 11:38 PM
So after hearing about CJ's 4.33, we should trade up to 2 and get him.

Screw everything else.

Shiver
02-15-2007, 12:00 AM
See, I hope that doesn't happen. For a multitude of reasons. We have an old team, with depth issues, while strap for cap space. Those three things make trading down more desirable, let alone trading up.

d34ng3l021
02-15-2007, 12:00 AM
See, I hope that doesn't happen. For a multitude of reasons. We have an old team, with depth issues, while strap for cap space. Those three things make trading down more desirable, as opposed to trading up.

But he would be so good in Madden!

Shiver
02-15-2007, 12:02 AM
Yes, indeed he would be. It just isn't feasible in real life. :lol:

d34ng3l021
02-15-2007, 01:29 AM
What exactly would we need to give up to get to the 2nd pick? Schaub (I dont even know the deal with him...can we trade him while he is tendered?) pick 10, coupla 3rd and 4th round picks?

Shiver
02-15-2007, 02:38 AM
Schaub, 10th and 44th.

d34ng3l021
02-15-2007, 02:53 AM
Schaub, 10th and 44th.

Eek.

Shiver
02-15-2007, 03:25 AM
Yeah, far to steep.

d34ng3l021
02-15-2007, 10:18 AM
Yeah, far to steep.

This guy in afmb.com is a GT fan and keeps raving about how CJ is going to be so amazing (he isnt just a pure homer. He is quite the draftnik) and I cant stop thinking about our chance to get him!

iloxygenil
02-15-2007, 10:57 AM
I know we have a lot of concerns on this team, but if CJ is there at #2 and we can trade with Detroit giving up Schaub + #10 for #2 we HAVE to do it...I mean there's just NO way we can pass on him. Even if it means we give up a 4th rounder as well...it's not like we don't already have 3 of them. Who cares about one of our 3 4th rounders being tossed in?

If CJ is there, and we have ANY reasonable way of moving up to get him, we do it, we have to, and that gives us the most incredible WR in the NFL, and a legit #1, something ATL hasn't had since Andre Rison.

iloxygenil
02-15-2007, 10:58 AM
So after hearing about CJ's 4.33, we should trade up to 2 and get him.

Screw everything else.
Where did he post a 4.33?

Shiver
02-15-2007, 04:04 PM
I am tired of the Calvin Johnson talk, it's conjecture, it's meaningless, because it doesn't have grounds in reality. This team is older, lacks depth, and has needs at a plethora of positions. Trading up, period, regardless of whom we'd take, would kill the future of the team. We would have a horrible defense, a horrible O-Line, no running game. But at least Michael Vick has weapons... :roll:

SimonRath
02-15-2007, 04:25 PM
I am tired of the Calvin Johnson talk, it's conjecture, it's meaningless, because it doesn't have grounds in reality. This team is older, lacks depth, and has needs at a plethora of positions. Trading up, period, regardless of whom we'd take, would kill the future of the team.

wow.. that was a random blow up... you dont think that getting Calvin Johnson would help our team.. especially if we only trade Schaub and our #10 pick and one of our 4th round picks??

Shiver
02-15-2007, 04:58 PM
You think any team is stupid enough to take that deal? To get Calvin Johnson, we would have to pull a "Ricky Williams" to get him. It would take 10th, 44th and Schaub. While, another first round receiver would fix none of our real needs. It decimate the future of the team.

SimonRath
02-15-2007, 05:01 PM
You think any team is stupid enough to take that deal? That deal would assume that Schaub is worth the 12th pick in the draft, value wise. When Minnesota, a team desperate for a Quarterback, wouldn't even give up the 17th pick for Schaub last year!

I think that some team will want Schaub so bad that they might do this... Schaub has a bright future, and we might have to give a 3rd instead of a 4th but i think it's still worth it

Shiver
02-15-2007, 05:06 PM
How is it worth it?! Another first round receiver? That would be the forth one used on one in six years. Roddy White and Michael Jenkins have flashed lots of potential, they will only get better. Not to mention we get Finneran back. We certainly don't need a receiver. Meanwhile, we have drastic needs on the O-Line, Defense, Running Back. With age, and little depth. Arthur Blank and Rich McKay have made it clear, our draft picks are precious, and critical to the future of the team. It would require a "Ricky Williams," 10th, 44th, Schaub to get up to get him. It isn't going to happen, thus I am tired of talking about it. At least with the Schaub conjecture, it might happen, unlike this preposterous Calvin Johnson trade up. I don't want to hear anything more about this, until a legitimate news source talks about it. You know, a "real" report. Until that point, I am convinced it has ZERO chance of happening. Especially since every Falcons fan dramatically overrated the actual value of Matt Schaub. Him being worth a top-10 pick?! :roll: He couldn't even garner a 17th pick, last year!

/ rant

SimonRath
02-15-2007, 05:15 PM
How is it worth it?! Another first round receiver? That would be the forth one used on one in six years. Roddy White and Michael Jenkins have flashed lots of potential, they will only get better. Not to mention we get Finneran back. We certainly don't need a receiver. Meanwhile, we have drastic needs on the O-Line, Defense, Running Back. With age, and little depth. Arthur Blank and Rich McKay have made it clear, our draft picks are precious, and critical to the future of the team. It would require a "Ricky Williams," 10th, 44th, Schaub to get up to get him. It isn't going to happen, thus I am tired of talking about it. At least with the Schaub conjecture, it might happen, unlike this preposterous Calvin Johnson trade up.

Getting Calvin would be a great pick, but the more that i think about it I wouldn't wanna trade our 3rd with our 1st to move up 8 spots.. maybe if it was our 4th and 1st.. Jenkins has done not much since being here, but White and Jahnos would be awsome..

Shiver
02-15-2007, 05:19 PM
In Madden, sure. In real life, no way. Especially when the defense is getting torched, and the running game cannot punch any short yardage runs, and Michael Vick is getting sacked or pressured far too often. But hey, we'd have plenty of weapons in the passing game. :roll:

SimonRath
02-15-2007, 05:43 PM
In Madden, sure. In real life, no way. Especially when the defense is getting torched, and the running game cannot punch any short yardage runs, and Michael Vick is getting sacked or pressured far too often. But hey, we'd have plenty of weapons in the passing game. :roll:

True, we'd have a weapon team with no shooter

Shiver
02-15-2007, 06:09 PM
I posted this elsewhere, thoughts?

Honestly, I think Brian Leonard would be perfect in Atlanta, at 44th. He would be the power-back, slash H-Back. Not to mention, Bobby Petrino may pull a Nick Saban, and draft Big East guys he is familar with.

d34ng3l021
02-15-2007, 07:04 PM

Honestly, I think Brian Leonard would be perfect in Atlanta, at 44th. He would be the power-back, slash H-Back. Not to mention, Bobby Petrino may pull a Nick Saban, and draft Big East guys he is familar with.

At 44? That might be a bit too high, unless he has a terrific combine. But that pick makes sense but I dont understand what we do with Griffith. Both are basically the same build.

iloxygenil
02-15-2007, 09:29 PM
44 isn't too high imo.

But as far as you say no one would take Schaub + 10, I think you have WAY too much faith in Millen, AND I think you have way too little value in Schaub, in real life, QBs are valued WAAAAY higher than we value them, especially with the potential of Schaub, coupled with his experience in a WCO style offense.

Calvin is MORE than worth that trade...Shiver...you're asking us to pass on Barry Sanders...or Eric Dickerson...I mean you just don't pass on someone like Calvin if you can get him.

iloxygenil
02-15-2007, 09:31 PM

At 44? That might be a bit too high, unless he has a terrific combine. But that pick makes sense but I dont understand what we do with Griffith. Both are basically the same build.
Leonard is much thicker, and he's a FREAK of an athlete, he's the next Mike Alstott. You can't compare him to JG. The thing about it is we have so many needs, I think we'd be foolish not to re-sign JG...leaves us with another position of need.

DraftMichaelHuff
02-15-2007, 10:38 PM
hey guys, haven't been on here for a few weeks, pretty much due to the lack of falcons related news at the moment.

Just quickly if Scott's current mock became reality and the players he has selected by other teams before our pick played out who would you take at both out first and second round pick?
Id deffinatly be BPA and hate ray mcdonald in the 2nd

for me it would be
#10 Jarvis Moss - wont be a reach value wise after the combine where he runs <4.6. Has added 50lb since he was a freshman so IMo would have no trouble getting up around 265 and has both production and upside behind him.

#42 Brendan Merriweather/Eric Weddle- proves the draft impact of Jimmy Williams future position pointless because both players can play both positions equally well

As much as Reggie Nelson IS MY favourtie prospect (along with aaron rouse) in this years draft. Taking him at 10 and then reaching for a DE or OT in the 2nd (the consequence if scotts mock came true) would be outweighed with the players i have selected in the two rounds

d34ng3l021
02-15-2007, 10:46 PM
hey guys, haven't been on here for a few weeks, pretty much due to the lack of falcons related news at the moment.

Just quickly if Scott's current mock became reality and the players he has selected by other teams before our pick played out who would you take at both out first and second round pick?
Id deffinatly be BPA and ray mcdonald in the 2nd

for me it would be
#10 Jarvis Moss - wont be a reach value wise after the combine where he runs <4.6. Has added 50lb since he was a freshman so IMo would have no trouble getting up around 265 and has both production and upside behind him.

#42 Brendan Merriweather/Eric Weddle- proves the draft impact of Jimmy Williams future position pointless because both players can play both positions equally well

Moss isnt worth the 10th pick right now.

Augh. I am having difficulties seeing his Mock draft. Who does he have us taking and who are some other significant players on the board?

Anyway. I came in here to rant about our coaches. I just watched a SICK highlight video of Norwood (it might still be on youtube) and WOW. HOW DO YOU NOT GIVE THIS GUY MORE TOUCHES?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! HE WOULD HAVE EASILY BEEN IN CONTENTION FOR OROTY AND WOULD HAVE BEEN SUCH AN UPGRADE AT TIMES OVER WARRICK I AVERAGE 3.6 YARDS A CARRY EXCEPT MY 90 YARD RUN ROSE IT TO 4.0 SO IT LOOKS DECENT DUNN. NORWOOD IS SO ELECTRIC AND IS SURPRISINGLY HARD TO BRING DOWN. @#$% YOU KNAPP

k.

DraftMichaelHuff
02-15-2007, 11:04 PM
Anyway. I came in here to rant about our coaches. I just watched a SICK highlight video of Norwood (it might still be on youtube) and WOW. HOW DO YOU NOT GIVE THIS GUY MORE TOUCHES?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! HE WOULD HAVE EASILY BEEN IN CONTENTION FOR OROTY AND WOULD HAVE BEEN SUCH AN UPGRADE AT TIMES OVER WARRICK I AVERAGE 3.6 YARDS A CARRY EXCEPT MY 90 YARD RUN ROSE IT TO 4.0 SO IT LOOKS DECENT DUNN. NORWOOD IS SO ELECTRIC AND IS SURPRISINGLY HARD TO BRING DOWN. @#$% YOU KNAPP

haha nice rant! and i totally agree, and that was with him having the same build as guys like reggie wayne, imagine if he ups from 205 to 215-220 lbs :shock: thats why its just pointless to draft a rb early unless its All Day. The perfect compliment to Jerious in my opinion in terms of both both skills set and value wise is Tyrone Moss at 5"8 240 in the 5th or maybe a falling Gary Russel on day 2

Shiver
02-15-2007, 11:54 PM
44 isn't too high imo.

But as far as you say no one would take Schaub + 10, I think you have WAY too much faith in Millen, AND I think you have way too little value in Schaub, in real life, QBs are valued WAAAAY higher than we value them, especially with the potential of Schaub, coupled with his experience in a WCO style offense.

Calvin is MORE than worth that trade...Shiver...you're asking us to pass on Barry Sanders...or Eric Dickerson...I mean you just don't pass on someone like Calvin if you can get him.

Had Schaub been worth that much, Minnesota would have sent the 17th pick to us for him, last year. Yeah, I know, Calvin Johnson is the best Wide Receiver prospect I have ever seen along with Larry Fitzgerald. If we were one play-maker away from a championship, then by all means. That's the problem, we need immediate help at several positions, and face age and depth issues on others. We need to utilize all of our nine picks to fill holes and depth, building for the future. If Detroit valued Schaub, tantamount to the 10th overall pick, and we didn't have to 'sweeten' the deal with an extra day one pick, I would love it. I don't see it happening. Until I hear something conclusive, reported by a legitimate site, I don't want to talk about "it." I just am tired of conjecturing, because the conversations don't go anywhere.

Shiver
02-16-2007, 12:24 AM
From Rotoworld:

The Bengals' decision to franchise Justin Smith is expected to create a "ripple effect" among his former fellow free agent defensive ends.

The Saints are now expected to consider franchising Charles Grant and Atlanta should feel more of a sense of urgency to make its decision regarding Patrick Kerney, whose contract voids on Tuesday. Indianapolis remains likely to slap the franchise tender on Dwight Freeney.

I hope we don't tag Kerney, he isn't worth it. Let him leave, and I will gladly take Adams, Anderson or Johnson.

iloxygenil
02-16-2007, 12:54 AM
I really do hope we let him walk, he'd cost us way too much.

d34ng3l021
02-16-2007, 02:09 AM
I agree.

So what is your realistic big board at 10, 44, and 66 (?). We should make a BIG BIG board compiled of many Falcon fan's opinion, in which we all agree on. Id make it alot easier on the mock drafters.

At 10:

Adrian Peterson
Jamaal Anderson
Alan Branch
Gaines Adams
Levi Brown
Reggie Nelson
Laron Landry

At 44:

Tony Ugoh
Ben Grubbs
Eric Weddle
Brian Leonard
Michael Bush

At 66:

I have no idea.

Shiver
02-16-2007, 02:26 AM
I agree.

So what is your realistic big board at 10, 44, and 66 (?). We should make a BIG BIG board compiled of many Falcon fan's opinion, in which we all agree on. Id make it alot easier on the mock drafters.

At 10:

Adrian Peterson
Jamaal Anderson
Alan Branch
Gaines Adams
Levi Brown
Reggie Nelson
Laron Landry

At 44:

Tony Ugoh
Ben Grubbs
Eric Weddle
Brian Leonard
Michael Bush

At 66:

I have no idea.

Like that would happen.. :lol: I remember on another forum, last year, they tried to get a "consensus big board," let's just say I voiced my opinion a lot, and no one ever agreed with me. Let's just say, I wasn't a fan of Ko Simpson, and a lot of people were convinced we would take him in the first round. While I wanted Tamba Hali, since we had no real starter at RE...

Shiver
02-16-2007, 02:59 AM
If Kerney isn't resigned/tagged by Tuesday, then it's likely we are moving on. If so, I want any of these five at #10:

Levi Brown
Gaines Adams
Jamaal Anderson
Charles Johnson
Alan Branch

As you can tell, I am a trench man. Now, that isn't to say I wouldn't like to have either Laron Landry, or Adrian Peterson. The latter, I don't expect to be there, it would be very lucky. Landry, I would love, because I like that he was a productive, leader, on one of the premier defenses for four years. His "bust" factor is very low.

d34ng3l021
02-16-2007, 03:59 AM
I agree.

At 10:

Adrian Peterson
Jamaal Anderson
Alan Branch
Gaines Adams
Levi Brown
Reggie Nelson
Laron Landry

At 44:

Tony Ugoh
Ben Grubbs
Eric Weddle
Brian Leonard
Michael Bush

At 66:

I have no idea.

Like that would happen.. :lol: I remember on another forum, last year, they tried to get a "consensus big board," let's just say I voiced my opinion a lot, and no one ever agreed with me. Let's just say, I wasn't a fan of Ko Simpson, and a lot of people were convinced we would take him in the first round. While I wanted Tamba Hali, since we had no real starter at RE...

Hah. I was a big fan of Ko Simpson. I think he is still my in my avatar for my amfb account. He woulda been a good pick! He had like what, 80 tackles, 2 interceptions, 2 sacks? not bad stats.

D-Rod
02-16-2007, 09:37 AM
"We anticipate fulfilling most of our needs through the draft," Blank said.

"But we'll certainly be aggressive in free agency at a couple of key positions."

Exactly. There will be a new FS, I absolutely guarantee it. As for OG and OT, that will depend a lot on what we think we've already got. When do OTA's start, because they will be crucial?

I'd still consider drafting Landry (if others are gone) if we sign Grant or Hamlin, because I think that on passing downs he'd replace Milloy at SS, and would replace him the year after.

I'd rate the prospects for us, factoring in need (assuming PK stays):

Joe Thomas
Calvin Johnson
AD
Alan Branch
Gaines Adams
Jamaal Anderson
Levi Brown
Laron Landry
Charles Johnson (some are predicting a monster combine)
Reggie Nelson (just worried about smarts)

If we sign FAs at FS, OT and OG, I want Alan Branch most of all. A combo of him, Grady, Coleman and Babs would be sick. Then he and Babs would be elite for years.

iloxygenil
02-16-2007, 09:50 AM
I agree.

At 10:

Adrian Peterson
Jamaal Anderson
Alan Branch
Gaines Adams
Levi Brown
Reggie Nelson
Laron Landry

At 44:

Tony Ugoh
Ben Grubbs
Eric Weddle
Brian Leonard
Michael Bush

At 66:

I have no idea.

Hah. I was a big fan of Ko Simpson. I think he is still my in my avatar for my amfb account. He woulda been a good pick! He had like what, 80 tackles, 2 interceptions, 2 sacks? not bad stats.
I was a huge Ko hater. I think he benefitted from being on a poor defense so his stats were inflated. I couldn't STAND everyone going gahgah over him.

As far as if we don't bring Kerney back, I really want Jamaal or Gaines. We do NOT need to reach for Big Bully at #10, we could trade down for him though, and I'd be fine with that.

d34ng3l021
02-16-2007, 10:02 AM
I agree.

At 10:

Adrian Peterson
Jamaal Anderson
Alan Branch
Gaines Adams
Levi Brown
Reggie Nelson
Laron Landry

At 44:

Tony Ugoh
Ben Grubbs
Eric Weddle
Brian Leonard
Michael Bush

At 66:

I have no idea.

I was a huge Ko r. I think he benefitted from being on a poor defense so his stats were inflated. I couldn't STAND everyone going gahgah over him.

As far as if we don't bring Kerney back, I really want Jamaal or Gaines. We do NOT need to reach for Big Bully at #10, we could trade down for him though, and I'd be fine with that.

But Pat Watkins on the otherhand :wink:

Who is big bully? Levi Brown?

iloxygenil
02-16-2007, 10:31 AM
Big Bully is Charles Johnson.

Pat Watkins is a baller. He got to be a starter in Dallas, on a defense that was great, until the end of the season when it kinda fell apart. But his stats weren't as good because the players around him are MUCH Better than those on the Bills, but he was always in position, and I'd give anything to have him instead of Chris Crocker

iloxygenil
02-16-2007, 10:32 AM
Maybe Zimmer can work a deal to send Crocker to Dallas for Watkins =)

Shiver
02-16-2007, 12:35 PM
Big Bully wouldn't be a reach... Ask Toonster, or Mel Kiper. If he performs at the combine, as expected, he could even pass up Anderson and Adams if they don't run well themselves.

Shiver
02-16-2007, 01:59 PM
Come on guys, let's pas Pittsburgh as the 9th most popular team discussion. We can do it, with only a couple more posts. Maybe I should rant about the Calvin Johnson hoop-la, that won't happen, and we should stop entertaining it as a realistic possibility. Or how about I rant about Michael Vick, what he's good at, what he needs to work on. Come on, we have to move up the ladder!

Shiver
02-16-2007, 04:08 PM
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/02/15/0216huejackson.html

New chief of offense already in Vick's ear

Flowery Branch — New Falcons offensive coordinator Hue Jackson has been sipping a cocktail of lemon juice, cayenne pepper and spring water for days to cleanse his system so it can welcome new sustenance with unabated freshness and purity.

It's a holistic approach that conveys from body to mind and has allowed the Los Angeles native to forsake prejudgment on anything he has viewed, seen or heard about the players he's about to inherit, teach and counsel — particularly quarterback Michael Vick.

"Me and Mike, we speak at least every two days and we talk from A to Z," Jackson, 41, said earlier this week. "Whether it's football, life, whatever. I've called him to try to motivate him. There were times I called him during the playoffs because I want him to understand that's where we're supposed to be, and in order for us to get there, he's got to be The Guy. He's responded very well.

"I've found that he is a very dynamic young man. He's not just a football player."

Vick, who has not spoken to the media since the Falcons' season-ending loss to Philadelphia on Dec. 31, could not be reached for comment.

Other coaches have reached out to Vick in the past, but none may have established a trust so quickly. That is why Jackson felt no reluctance to let Vick know that even though their conversations are friendly, once it's time to play football, Vick is going to be coached by any coach who sees fit, just like everyone else.

Vick is going to be coached by head coach Bobby Petrino, quarterbacks coach Bill Musgrave and Jackson, who is in his second stint as an NFL offensive coordinator. He also served as Steve Spurrier's coordinator with the Redskins and held the same job at the college level with Southern Cal and Cal.

"There will be no coddling of Michael Vick," Jackson said. "We're not going to coddle Michael Vick. This is not a demerit system where we say, 'OK, we're not going to deal with this guy this way and this guy that way.' We're going to coach them all hard, and he knows that. We have an expectation of him, and I think he'll be the first to tell you that I'm not afraid to say anything to him and I'm not afraid to say anything to anyone on this offense.

"There is an expectation and that's what we're going to get. I don't care what the position is. That's the way we see it and that's the way we're going to deal with it. What comes with him is the celebrity and money and all that. I'm being honest with you. That doesn't mean much to me or anyone else."

Jackson said Vick was actually excited about the approach.

Jackson's highly regarded communication skills allowed him to foster trusting relationships with Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh when he served as their wide receivers coach with Cincinnati for three seasons before being hired by Petrino. Both lamented Jackson's departure.

Petrino, meanwhile, viewed Jackson's arrival as a coup. The two coached together at Arizona State (1992-95) and have stayed in touch since. Jackson was Petrino's first hire, something that has not been lost on Jackson.

"He's had experience calling plays. He's had a lot of success, and at Cincinnati he did a fabulous job handling some great personalities," said Petrino, adding that he used to regularly travel from the University of Louisville, where he was head coach, to the Bengals' training camp to meet with and observe Jackson. "It didn't take a lot of thought to get him as the offensive coordinator.

"Any time I step out of the meeting room, things are going to continue and move on without a problem. He has a tremendous command of the offense, the staff and the meeting room. He knows how we want to operate."

Petrino will design the scheme and call plays, which means Jackson's role will differ from most offensive coordinators. However, Jackson will have substantial input, especially on weekly game planning.

It has not been determined whether Jackson will be in the booth or on the sideline on game days, but he will be in position to be the needed communicator/mediator between the head coach and offensive players, especially Vick.

"There's got to be a trust level between the coordinator the quarterback and the head coach," Jackson said. "Mike, he's excited about what we're trying to get accomplished here. I would hope that permeates through the whole offense.

"I'm pretty sure it will. I know it will."

If he can unlock the M.V.P type potential from Michael Vick, we will be scary on offense. Not to mention, Mike Zimmer is known to make the most out of his defenses' talent. I love how all of our coaches are known for maxing out their players' talents, having them overachieve.

iloxygenil
02-16-2007, 04:37 PM
If Michael Vick over achieves...wow...we'd be the best offense in football, since he's already a baller. Just imagine if he had ONE WR who played to potential...not even above...just up to their potential, we'd be ballin. I really hope that if this year our WRs don't improve and we don't get Calvin, that next year, we get Mario Urrutia from Louisville, he's a baller, I like the way he plays. But we have to get these dropsies taken care of.

As far as Jackson goes, I'm a huge fan already. I know he's only been an offensive coordinator once, but man, that offense in Cincy is nasty, and it's strongest point was their WRs. Gah, I can't wait to see a vertical passing attack with one of the strongest arms in the league leading the charge. It's going to be amazing!

Shiver
02-16-2007, 04:40 PM
Maybe this will be Michael Vick's equivalent to Donovan McNabb's '04. His break-out season, in which he finally sheds all the criticism, and becomes what he needs to be. He was drafted first overall, picks were exchanged to get him, then were paying him elite starter money. It's time for him to be an M.V.P type, and lead the team into the promised land.

lsantaoe
02-16-2007, 05:48 PM
Oh man, I'm so torn on what to do at 10. I really like Landry, but feel Brown will be the pick. I like Okoye a lot as well, but not sure we think he can be a NT. This is of course assuming Adams, Anderson, Branch, etc. are gone. Ya'll think mocks should be on what you believe will happen, or what you think should happen?

Shiver
02-16-2007, 05:51 PM
What I think should happen, is we take Levi Brown if he is there. If not, one of the Defensive Ends. I could live with Laron Landry, as well as Adrian Peterson, because they are relatively safe picks to become instant contributors. I just feel that this team needs to get stronger in the trenches. Shedding the 'finesse' styling of the Jim Mora regime, is priority numero uno. That said, Levi Brown has special talent, he just needs to be coached up on technique. Whereas, the drop-off at defensive end isn't that large. We could easily draft a Tim Crowder, or Ray McDonald in round two, and be fine.

My Ideal:

1. Levi Brown
2. Tim Crowder
3. Marvin White
4. Kolby Smith

lsantaoe
02-16-2007, 06:08 PM
McDonald is no where near a possibility IMO and would be a horrible pick. Don't get me started on him.

Crowder isn't good value in round 2 IMO, but there should be some FS talent available.

I seem to value Weddle higher than draft niks, who all think he should usually be available at our pick. Meriweather is also very talented but the Falcon Filter might keep him out.

The smartest thing to do is probably: OT (Levi) in round 1, FS (Weddle) in round 2, DE/RB in round 3. Of course, this is all before FA signings.

Shiver
02-16-2007, 06:11 PM
Not sure how you can say Crowder isn't a good value. He may not even be there, at 44th, to begin with.

D-Rod
02-16-2007, 06:13 PM
Not sure how you can say Crowder isn't a good value. He may not even be there, at 44th, to begin with.

I think that Crowder's value is very uncertain at the moment. He seemed to fall a little during the season, but had a very good senior bowl. His combine performance will probably if he goes in the 2nd round, high or low.

lsantaoe
02-16-2007, 06:24 PM
Yeah, I had Crowder pegged at our 2nd earlier in the season but as of late thought we could get better value at the pick.

Shiver
02-16-2007, 06:27 PM
Well, everything I have read have him in the 40-ish range. Another player I would love to have in round two is Brandon Meriweather, I just don't know if he will pass the dreaded "Falcon Filter."

iloxygenil
02-16-2007, 06:46 PM
ERIC WEDDLE! That's what we need...he's a baller.

Shiver
02-16-2007, 08:03 PM
I cannot wait until we know what positions have been filled in Free Agency. I wouldn't be surprised if they make a marked effort to fill most of the offensive needs in the draft. While focusing on defense, early and often, in the draft.

Shiver
02-16-2007, 08:09 PM

"But we'll certainly be aggressive in free agency at a couple of key positions."

Previously, he has mentioned O-Line as a position in which they will look towards Free Agency. I would love to add Luke Petitgout, and a Derrick Dockery, for all of our free agent cap space. Then address defense, as well as depth, in the draft.

lsantaoe
02-16-2007, 08:43 PM

Previously, he has mentioned O-Line as a position in which they will look towards Free Agency. I would love to add Luke Petitgout, and a Derrick Dockery, for all of our free agent cap space. Then address defense, as well as depth, in the draft.
I like Dockery. Pettigout (sp) not so much. No tackle in FA excites me at all, with the exception of Steinbech switching positions. But he would cost too much money.

lsantaoe
02-16-2007, 08:43 PM

I like Dockery. Pettigout (sp) not so much. No tackle in FA excites me at all, with the exception of Steinbech switching positions. But he would cost too much money.

Shiver
02-16-2007, 09:30 PM
Yeah, Petitgout isn't great, but he is serviceable, with two or three more years at his peak. He was having a nice season, before he got hurt. He is a vast upgrade over Wayne Gandy.

iloxygenil
02-17-2007, 12:03 AM
We just need ANYTHING we can get to improve over our current offensive line, which SUCKS.

Shiver
02-17-2007, 12:06 AM
Exactly, of all our current O-Lineman, I like Kynan Forney, and I think Todd Weiner is alright. Other than that, it's pretty ugly. We need a new LT, LG, and maybe even a C who fits a conventional offense better.

d34ng3l021
02-17-2007, 12:34 AM
Exactly, of all our current O-Lineman, I like Kynan Forney, and I think Todd Weiner is alright. Other than that, it's pretty ugly. We need a new LT, LG, and maybe even a C who fits a conventional offense better.

I like regular monster better. I never did like all the other flavors.

Shiver
02-17-2007, 12:40 AM
Yeah, I am a 'Juiced' addict. I don't care for most energy drinks, just the 70% juice ones.

This is a little strange... :lol:

D-Rod
02-17-2007, 04:42 AM
What are you guys talking about? :P

It's a very difficult situation at LT.

A. We eventually need to get some young talent on the O-line. Drafting Brown would be great.

B. We can't go into the draft needing Brown. There are no guarantees he'll be there, and if not we'll be screwed.

C. I'd be happy to sign Petitgout on a short term, cheap deal, but he'll be looking for big bucks. Perhaps we can take advantage of his injury, and offer him a large but unguaranteed contract, like Brees got. Then we can cut him for free once he tails off. However, there are teams with equal needs (Arizona etc) who might throw big bucks his way. His is instantly the best LT available.

D. If we do sign a good LT and LG in FA, then we really can't draft Brown at #10. Which continues the absence of young talent...

iloxygenil
02-17-2007, 03:20 PM
I don't think that Levi is going to be a premier tackle...I dunno. We'll see, when it comes draft day I'll prolly be pulling for him once all the DLinemen are gone.

Dave
02-17-2007, 05:24 PM
Here's a question for the Atlanta fans: Assuming the Falcons pick up a few corners in Free Agency/the Draft. Which safety spot would Jimmy Williams be moved to: Free Safety or Strong Safety?

georgiafan
02-17-2007, 05:51 PM
After reading the new story on the front page I think Rice would be a perfect fit for us in the 2nd round

SimonRath
02-17-2007, 06:23 PM
hey how many picks do we in the 3rd round and 4th round.. dont we have like 3 in a certain round??

Dave
02-17-2007, 06:24 PM
hey how many picks do we in the 3rd round and 4th round.. dont we have like 3 in a certain round??

I know of no such scenario where the Falcons have three picks in any round. I thought the Falcons had all their orgininal picks and no extras.

SimonRath
02-17-2007, 06:33 PM

I know of no such scenario where the Falcons have three picks in any round. I thought the Falcons had all their orgininal picks and no extras.

I thought we got one for Schaffer, and i think Crocker or something.. I dont know, thats what i heard and thats why i asked you guys

lsantaoe
02-17-2007, 06:53 PM

We have 2 in the 4th round and no 7th round pick. We are expecting 2 compensation picks, one in the 4th round.

Also, Jimmy would play FS in the immediate future with Milloy at SS and Crocker backing him up; but a move in the future is concievable.

Dave
02-17-2007, 08:33 PM

We have 2 in the 4th round and no 7th round pick. We are expecting 2 compensation picks, one in the 4th round.

Also, Jimmy would play FS in the immediate future with Milloy at SS and Crocker backing him up; but a move in the future is concievable.

Do you know who's pick we have in the 4th by any chance?

Shiver
02-17-2007, 09:01 PM
We have the Broncos' 4th round pick, from the Abraham deal.

Shiver
02-17-2007, 09:30 PM
A player I am really enamored with is Adam Carriker. I like the thread in the draft forum, why isn't he considered a freak athlete by most? He is bigger and stronger than Jamaal Anderson, is more polished, experienced, and is expected to match him in speed.

iloxygenil
02-17-2007, 09:33 PM
I'm tryin to figure out how a Falcons fan didn't get the Falcons in the forum mock lol. Oh well.

Jimmy would be a Free Safety all the way, Lawyer is a Strong all the way, and Crocker is a SERVICEABLE backup at both positions, but could be a big contributor from the SS spot if Lawyer gets knocked down with Injury.

lsantaoe
02-17-2007, 11:38 PM
Is William Thomas (Eagle OT) a FA? In the link in the AFMB Draft thing it says he is and so does Madden lol. If so, he'd be a great pick up I think.

Shiver
02-18-2007, 01:24 AM
I'm tryin to figure out how a Falcons fan didn't get the Falcons in the forum mock lol. Oh well.

Didn't ATLdirtybirds sign up? I thought for sure he did, because he said so, and I said I would be his co-GM..:lol:

D-Rod
02-18-2007, 07:10 AM

Didn't ATLdirtybirds sign up? I thought for sure he did, because he said so, and I said I would be his co-GM..:lol:

He did, but apparently got rejected.

Carricker, with a great combine, could become a legitimate option at #10 if Kerney does leave. He'd make an ideal power end in the 4-3.

falconsrule
02-18-2007, 08:18 AM
A player I am really enamored with is Adam Carriker. I like the thread in the draft forum, why isn't he considered a freak athlete by most? He is bigger and stronger than Jamaal Anderson, is more polished, experienced, and is expected to match him in speed.

Adam Carriker is more of a twinner DE/DT which you think would make him more valuble but he is not considered the type of DE who can get after the QB....I still have him ranked as the 3rd best DE in the draft behind Adams and Anderson but I would love to have any of those guys my team but the O-Line & Secondary are still at the top of my list.

scar988
02-18-2007, 08:26 AM
Here's a question for the Atlanta fans: Assuming the Falcons pick up a few corners in Free Agency/the Draft. Which safety spot would Jimmy Williams be moved to: Free Safety or Strong Safety?we won't pick up a CB in FA unless it is a good guy for our nickel or dime spots. we will keep JW as CB. Also, I think we may pick up 2 guys in FA after re-signing some of our guys. the main 3 guys I coudl see us picking up are Nat Dorsey (for LG), Luke Petigout (for LT) and Jordan Babineaux for FS.