PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Falcons Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8

Shiver
02-18-2007, 01:21 PM
A player I am really enamored with is Adam Carriker. I like the thread in the draft forum, why isn't he considered a freak athlete by most? He is bigger and stronger than Jamaal Anderson, is more polished, experienced, and is expected to match him in speed.

Adam Carriker is more of a twinner DE/DT which you think would make him more valuble but he is not considered the type of DE who can get after the QB....I still have him ranked as the 3rd best DE in the draft behind Adams and Anderson but I would love to have any of those guys my team but the O-Line & Secondary are still at the top of my list.

What I like about the Carriker, Anderson pick is simple. We have two players who are predominantly pass rushers, that is, Coleman and Abraham. If we have either Anderson, or Carriker, then we would have two dominant run stoppers to compliment them. Both Carriker, as well as Anderson, would be similar to a Charles Grant type, someone who gets seven or eight sacks, while being a force in the run game.

Shiver
02-18-2007, 01:34 PM
Well, never mind...

:roll:

According to John Clayton, if a new deal isn't in place, the Falcons will franchise Patrick Kerney this Monday, or Tuesday.

Shiver
02-18-2007, 01:47 PM
If that is the case, and we should assume that it is. Then our needs are as follows:

Left Tackle
Free Safety
Running Back
Left Guard
Nose Tackle
Rush End
Nickel Cornerback
Center

That is in my order. So, to me, I have settled on three players I want to draft:

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2006/04/04-21-06tdc/04-21-06dsports-05b.jpg
Levi Brown, Left Tackle, 6'5" 325-lbs

http://xostech.cache.streamos.com/pics18/400/WP/WPRKCBFUYAFHUHD.20051115141921.jpg
Laron Landry, Free Safety, 6'0" 205-lbs

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/ncaa/specials/preview/2006/teams/photos/cal.jpg
Marshawn Lynch, Running Back, 5'11" 215-lbs

Here is the Strategy and Personnel article from FoxSports:

The Falcons must deal with two main issues this off-season:

1) Restricted free agent quarterback Matt Schaub. Atlanta would love to have him as insurance for one more season, but with a handful of potential suitors willing to part with compensation for Schaub, the Falcons probably will engage in trade talks.

2) Figuring out who will stay and who will go. Anytime there is a coaching change, there also is a roster shift. While major upheaval is not expected, some players simply might not fit the scheme, salary cap or chemistry.

TEAM NEEDS/OFF-SEASON STRATEGY

With possibly nine picks heading into the draft, including the 10th overall selection, the Falcons hope to upgrade their secondary, offensive line, wide receivers and running back, where a different type of fullback/H-back will be employed.

Atlanta will try to address most of its needs in the draft. It has roughly $10 million to spend in free agency so it won't go after a big-name free agent, but will try to find productive bargain-type players.

The Falcons will try to re-sign free agent defensive end Patrick Kerney. The productive and highly respected leader will draw a lot of attention on the open market. Atlanta has been pro-active in trying to keep him from even exploring from playing elsewhere, but good defensive ends are commodities and the Falcons might have to pony up.

With the attention aimed at Kerney, Atlanta might not re-sign free agent fullback Justin Griffith, a highly versatile player who is better suited for running and catching passes than he is to be a lead blocker.

1. Safety: Veteran Lawyer Milloy is set at strong safety, but the Falcons' top priority likely will be free safety, where they were repeatedly burned in the deep middle. Chris Crocker was solid in run support but he never seemed to grasp deep coverage. Atlanta likely will use its 10th overall pick to address the need.

2. Wide receiver: Arguably the least threatening unit in the NFL. Ashley Lelie's return is uncertain. Brian Finneran's return from knee surgery will help, but it is uncertain how the tall possession receivers fits Bobby Petrino's scheme. Michael Jenkins continues to develop, but he might not ever gain enough respect to be double-teamed. Roddy White is incredibly talented but inconsistent.

3. Offensive line: New Coach Bobby Petrino wants to beef up the sleek, zone-blocking personnel. Left guard Matt Lehr could be the first player pushed out. Left tackle Wayne Gandy is still decent, but an heir could be acquired in the draft or free agency should the Falcons need more push or opt to cut Gandy because of his nearly $4 million cap charge.

4. Running back: Warrick Dunn and Jerious Norwood are cutback slashers, but Petrino wants a bulldozer. Don't be shocked if Petrino nabs former Louisville stud Michael Bush if he's there in the second round.

5. Linebacker: Middle linebacker Ed Hartwell, a prized free-agent signee from Baltimore two seasons ago, hasn't done anything of note in two years after being sidetracked by injuries. He could be a cap casualty if he doesn't show much in mini-camp. Third-year comer Jordan Beck would be a likely replacement.

MEDICAL WATCH: Nose tackle Grady Jackson had arthroscopic left knee surgery to remove debris from wear and tear. Fullback Fred McCrary had arthroscopic ankle surgery. Guard Kynan Forney (shoulder) and wide receiver Brian Finneran (torn ACL) are recovering from in-season procedures. All players should be ready by training camp.

FRANCHISE PLAYER: None

TRANSITION PLAYER: None.

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

--K Morton Andersen was reliable last season. Not a priority, but could be called upon at some point of the season if an injury or problem arises.

--FB Justin Griffith is a very good player with a variety of talents that were under-utilized. Not the prototype for Bobby Petrino's offense. Indications are he will not be brought back.

--DE Patrick Kerney is a high-motored stud who missed most of last season after surgery to repair a torn pectoral. The No. 1 priority to be re-signed.

--WR Ashley Lelie is a speedy starter who might be of interest at the right price. However, Bobby Petrino, who wants to use plenty of three and four-receiver sets, hasn't expressed much insight as to whether Lelie fits into his plans.

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

--QB Matt Schaub is a sought-after player who will likely have a first- and third-round tender tag. A few teams might be willing to part with that type of compensation for this promising player. The Falcons will be listening. They don't want to lose Schaub, but they don't want to let him go for nothing next season.

--OLB Demorrio Williams is a former starter who was relegated to nickel package service part of the season. A highly productive player and other-worldly athlete who is well thought of. The new coaching staff really likes his potential. Atlanta will do what it takes -- within reason - to retain him.

EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS FREE AGENTS

--P/PK Michael Koenen is thought of highly and they won't let him get away.

Dave
02-18-2007, 03:38 PM
I'm tryin to figure out how a Falcons fan didn't get the Falcons in the forum mock lol. Oh well.

Jimmy would be a Free Safety all the way, Lawyer is a Strong all the way, and Crocker is a SERVICEABLE backup at both positions, but could be a big contributor from the SS spot if Lawyer gets knocked down with Injury.

I am an Atlanta Falcons fan, the only difference between me and the rest of the Falcons fans is that I haven't really kept up with football as much as anyone on this board has in the past months. I've just started posting here again and if it makes you comfortable, I've been a Falcons fan longer than i've been a Cowboys fan. I like the Cowboys because I live in Dallas. Just because my avatar says Dallas doesn't mean i'm not a Falcons fan.

The reason ATLDirtyBirds didn't get the GM spot is because in the previous forum mock he wasn't there for the picks. However he is still my Co GM.

I also think the fact i'm talking up my wants, needs and concerns about the upcoming forum mock is more than most people are doing. I haven't been in football for the longest amount of time lately and I do need help now and then, but i'm still a Falcons fan and I am still a smart enough person to draft with the Falcons name.

d34ng3l021
02-18-2007, 03:48 PM
A player I am really enamored with is Adam Carriker. I like the thread in the draft forum, why isn't he considered a freak athlete by most? He is bigger and stronger than Jamaal Anderson, is more polished, experienced, and is expected to match him in speed.

Adam Carriker is more of a twinner DE/DT which you think would make him more valuble but he is not considered the type of DE who can get after the QB....I still have him ranked as the 3rd best DE in the draft behind Adams and Anderson but I would love to have any of those guys my team but the O-Line & Secondary are still at the top of my list.

What a depressing sig, knowning the chances of him stayig home is sooo little. Sigh...

And Shiver, you would like Lynch at 10? I like him as a prospect, and 10 might be a bit early. Wouldnt be too dissapointed by the pick though.

Dave
02-18-2007, 03:56 PM
What a depressing sig, knowning the chances of him stayig home is sooo little. Sigh...

And Shiver, you would like Lynch at 10? I like him as a prospect, and 10 might be a bit early. Wouldnt be too dissapointed by the pick though.

I would be incredibly dissapointed in the Falcons if they picked Lynch at 10. They have far more pressing needs than at running back. If they were to the point of honestly considering picking Lynch, they should also be considering trading down.

georgiafan
02-18-2007, 04:03 PM
what mock draft are yall talking about?

Dave
02-18-2007, 04:04 PM
what mock draft are yall talking about?

The Forum Mock Draft. It's on top of everything in the Fantasy Forum.

D-Rod
02-18-2007, 04:17 PM
Franchising Kerney? Wow, that would really cripple our efforts in free agency.

Perhaps we're even considering a franchise and trade, but I doubt it. I just hope that even if we do franchise him, we work out a more cap friendly deal before FA starts.

Post-combine, there might even be four DE's worthy of the 10th pick:

Anderson
Adams
CJ
Carricker (see the toonster firestorm!)

Alternatively, there'll be a DE steal at #44.

Dave
02-18-2007, 04:22 PM
Franchising Kerney? Wow, that would really cripple our efforts in free agency.

Perhaps we're even considering a franchise and trade, but I doubt it. I just hope that even if we do franchise him, we work out a more cap friendly deal before FA starts.

Post-combine, there might even be four DE's worthy of the 10th pick:

Anderson
Adams
CJ
Carricker (see the toonster firestorm!)

Alternatively, there'll be a DE steal at #44.

If Carricker falls to 10 and Atl doesn't take him i'll be enraged. Who's the round 2 steal?

Shiver
02-18-2007, 06:37 PM

It depends on what he runs, that will decide his value. All I know is the run game's struggles were not recognized by a lot of people. We would have won several more games, making the post-season, if the team could punch it in on short yardage situations.

Dave
02-18-2007, 07:29 PM
We have 2 in the 4th round and no 7th round pick. We are expecting 2 compensation picks, one in the 4th round.

Also, Jimmy would play FS in the immediate future with Milloy at SS and Crocker backing him up; but a move in the future is concievable.

Why don't we have a 7th round pick? As for the compensation picks: Where would they be coming from?

iloxygenil
02-18-2007, 09:07 PM
We have 2 in the 4th round and no 7th round pick. We are expecting 2 compensation picks, one in the 4th round.

Also, Jimmy would play FS in the immediate future with Milloy at SS and Crocker backing him up; but a move in the future is concievable.

Why don't we have a 7th round pick? As for the compensation picks: Where would they be coming from?
We gave it up for Gandy

lsantaoe
02-18-2007, 10:26 PM

From Schaffer and Stokes/ McCadam. Grady Jackson, Lawyer Milloy, John Abraham, Wayne Gandy- basically none of them counter the losses we had for various reasons. Trade, after cut off date, cut, etc.

Shiver
02-18-2007, 10:50 PM
It sure would suck if Mike Zimmer leaves...

Shiver
02-19-2007, 12:34 AM
It has begun... RUMOR SEASON!

First up;

WR Donte' Stallworth -- In 11 games last season for the Eagles, Stallworth caught 38 passes for 725 yards, an average of 19.1 yards per catch, and five touchdowns. The speedy receiver also led the Eagles with 14 catches of 20 yards or more.

One rap is his injury history, but he did not miss a game in 2004 or 2005.

Stallworth is only 26, which means this next contract he signs might not even be his last, but it will be his most lucrative. Expect a signing bonus with eight figures, and if an expected bidding war ensues, it could reach over $15 million.

Chances of Returning: Less than 50-50.

Teams that could get involved: Tennessee, San Francisco, Green Bay, Atlanta.

Secondly;

Falcon's looking to move on Draft Day

The Atlanta Falcon's are quietly taking the temperature of the Detroit Lion's in what it would take to move into the #2 pick on draft day. The Falcon's new coach Bobby Petrino loves to throw the football and owner Arthur Blank would love to land Georgia Tech star WR Calvin Johnson. It's believed the Falcon's could be dangling veteran RB Warrick Dunn a swap of 1st round picks and possibly a 2nd round pick. The Lion's could be looking for a veteran RB because the status of Kevin Jones may be up in the air until late into training camp or possibly a few weeks into the season.

Alright, now we can discuss it, because it is actually being reported. Now, this may just speculation on part of the media. Or, there is a general feeling in the Falcons front office, as well as coaching staff, that a top flight receiver is needed. Especially in Petrino's offense, which routinely spreads the field with four wide receivers.

d34ng3l021
02-19-2007, 01:07 AM
It has begun... RUMOR SEASON!

First up;

WR Donte' Stallworth -- In 11 games last season for the Eagles, Stallworth caught 38 passes for 725 yards, an average of 19.1 yards per catch, and five touchdowns. The speedy receiver also led the Eagles with 14 catches of 20 yards or more.

One rap is his injury history, but he did not miss a game in 2004 or 2005.

Stallworth is only 26, which means this next contract he signs might not even be his last, but it will be his most lucrative. Expect a signing bonus with eight figures, and if an expected bidding war ensues, it could reach over $15 million.

Chances of Returning: Less than 50-50.

Teams that could get involved: Tennessee, San Francisco, Green Bay, Atlanta.

Secondly;

The Atlanta Falcon's are quietly taking the temperature of the Detroit Lion's in what it would take to move into the #2 pick on draft day. The Falcon's new coach Bobby Petrino loves to throw the football and owner Arthur Blank would love to land Georgia Tech star WR Calvin Johnson. It's believed the Falcon's could be dangling veteran RB Warrick Dunn a swap of 1st round picks and possibly a 2nd round pick. The Lion's could be looking for a veteran RB because the status of Kevin Jones may be up in the air until late into training camp or possibly a few weeks into the season.

Alright, now we can discuss it, because it is actually being reported. Now, this may just speculation on part of the media. Or, there is a general feeling in the Falcons front office, as well as coaching staff, that a top flight receiver is needed. Especially in Petrino's offense, which routinely spreads the field with four wide receivers.

:D :D :D :D :D

Shiver
02-19-2007, 01:19 AM
See, I have no problem with discussion "it" when it's actual news, not just idle speculation.. Also, along with Scouts Inc., the Sports Xchnge posted something similar to the Calvin Johnson rumors.

Heading into the Combine, the new Falcons coaching staff will be trying to figure out if the safety prospects are worthy enough of the 10th overall pick, if there will be a strong enough offensive lineman that could be available at that slot or if there is anyway to begin working a trade to move up to get Georgia Tech wide receiver Calvin Johnson.

At the same time, the Falcons could be talking to potential coaching prospects to take over as defensive coordinator if Mike Zimmer gets hired as the Chargers' head coach.

The new Falcons staff has spent countless hours pouring over film the past few weeks, trying to figure strengths and weaknesses and which players they'd like to part with or retain.

They have some interesting decisions to make because this is not a team with glaring weaknesses anywhere, but shortcomings with depth or scheme fit at most positions. Philosophically, new coach Bobby Petrino also wants to beef up the offensive backfield and offensive line, which could be a transition that can't take place in just one off-season.

Atlanta also could be in the market for a backup quarterback. With Matt Schaub being a sought after restricted free agent, the Falcons plan to look to a veteran free agent to fill his place, if need be. Second-year quarterback D.J. Shockley has shown enough promise to possibly replace Schaub as Michael Vick's backup, but the need for a veteran with game experience could be vital since Shockley spent most of his rookie season working with the scout team.

The biggest area of concern probably is at wide receiver, where Michael Jenkins emerged as a solid red-zone threat, but no other player really showed anything spectacular. That's not good for a coach who likes to employ three- to five-receiver sets.

Veteran starter Ashley Lelie is a free agent who probably won't be re-signed unless he comes at the right price. Brian Finneran is expected to return to full strength after tearing his ACL last preseason. Talented but wildly inconsistent, 2005 first-round pick Roddy White will get another chance, but he might not get too much slack from this demanding staff.

That said, if the Falcons can't swing a trade fom Calvin Johnson, don't expect them to use their top pick on a wide receiver after using two of their past three first-round selections on Jenkins and White.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/report/ATL

Shiver
02-19-2007, 03:10 AM

:lol:

I just found up some random Falcons fan made that little quip up.

d34ng3l021
02-19-2007, 04:20 AM

:lol:

I just found up some random Falcons fan made that little quip up. :wink:

Where do you live Shiver?

falconsrule
02-19-2007, 08:33 AM
PERSONNEL ANALYSIS: The pressure to draft local product Calvin Johnson is starting to mount on the wide receiver-challenged Falcons. The tall (6-4) fleet receiver is not likely to be available when the Falcons pick at No. 10. They'll have to put together a package to move up to the early stages of the draft. After declaring for the draft a year early, Johnson has shot up the draft boards. He's a fast, powerful and athletic receiver, who runs good routes. Johnson's best attribute is that he has reliable hands, which has been an issue around Flowery Branch. Some of the recent busts (Troy Williamson, Michael Williams) high at the position are not scarring off teams from Johnson. He's seen as the real deal without any baggage. The Falcons have not had a history of getting players with local ties, but under Arthur Blank they are trying new ways to connect with the fan-base

Hopefully we can get C.J.

iloxygenil
02-19-2007, 10:18 AM
I am VERY excited about the prospect of him in a dirrty birds uni next season. I couldn't see anything that would make me happier. He'll be one of the league's top receivers the day he plays his first game. I really could see him putting up a Randy Moss type rookie season here in Atlanta, especially with Petrino as a coach, and Vick being the one tossing him the deep ball. Couple him with Jenkins and put Roddy where he'll fit the best, in the slot, and we'd have a dynamic corps of WRs, if Roddy can eliminate the dropsies.

georgiafan
02-19-2007, 11:37 AM
CJ is the only WR I would want the falcons to take in round 1. But with a lot of holes I don't want to give up to much. Any trade that has Dunn a part of it I support 100%

d34ng3l021
02-19-2007, 12:51 PM
I am VERY excited about the prospect of him in a dirrty birds uni next season. I couldn't see anything that would make me happier. He'll be one of the league's top receivers the day he plays his first game. I really could see him putting up a Randy Moss type rookie season here in Atlanta, especially with Petrino as a coach, and Vick being the one tossing him the deep ball. Couple him with Jenkins and put Roddy where he'll fit the best, in the slot, and we'd have a dynamic corps of WRs, if Roddy can eliminate the dropsies.

Great post. I agree with it alot, and not only does he help our passing game, but also our running game.

SimonRath
02-19-2007, 01:06 PM
THANK GOD... Zimmer will stay with the Falcons cause the Chargers hired Norv Turner

D-Rod
02-19-2007, 01:40 PM
THANK GOD... Zimmer will stay with the Falcons cause the Chargers hired Norv Turner

Sweet.

However, he seems likely to become a head coach in the next couple of seasons. Good thing is, the man tabbed as his replacement is already on the staff, being groomed to take over seamlessly: Van Gorder. My early call.

Shiver
02-19-2007, 02:17 PM
Jonathan Babineaux ARRESTED

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/02/19/0220babineaux.html

For animal abuse? WTF? :roll:

georgiafan
02-19-2007, 02:22 PM
I hope your right about BVG he did great things at UGA and the one year at JAX the LB played good. Last year wasn't do good for him though

Shiver
02-19-2007, 02:44 PM
It doesn't sound like we will be very active in Free Agency. If that is the case, we need to trade down, accumulate picks, desperately. Like the Packers of last year, I would love to have a cornucopia of picks for which to set up the Bobby Petrino era.

Shiver
02-19-2007, 02:57 PM
D. Orlando Ledbetter
For Sporting News

PERSONNEL ANALYSIS: The pressure to draft local product Calvin Johnson is starting to mount on the wide receiver-challenged Falcons. The tall (6-4) fleet receiver is not likely to be available when the Falcons pick at No. 10. They'll have to put together a package to move up to the early stages of the draft. After declaring for the draft a year early, Johnson has shot up the draft boards. He's a fast, powerful and athletic receiver, who runs good routes. Johnson's best attribute is that he has reliable hands, which has been an issue around Flowery Branch. Some of the recent busts (Troy Williamson, Michael Williams) high at the position are not scarring off teams from Johnson. He's seen as the real deal without any baggage. The Falcons have not had a history of getting players with local ties, but under Arthur Blank they are trying new ways to connect with the fan-base. . . .

The duo-running back model, which all teams in the AFC and NFC championship games used, will be re-emphasized in Atlanta. Warrick Dunn is set to give up some carries to second year running back Jerious Norwood, to even out the distribution of carries. The hope is to have teams more off balance and to maximize the effectiveness of the position. Norwood must show that he can hold up under more carries. He missed games twice last season when he got nicked up. The Falcons need to know how sturdy Norwood is. He's showed his big play ability with his long touchdown runs. He has to make more determined cuts, lower his shower in time to avoid those mega-hits and keep flashing his speed.

SCOUTING REPORT:The Falcons' new regime is set at strongside linebacker with Michael Boley. In the planned 4-3 alignment, Boley, a sure tackler, who's flashed some signs of explosive play-making ability, is an anchor. The plan is to reduce all of the extra assignments for Boley, who was used as a pass rusher from both defensive end positions last season. With the sole focus on his linebacking chores, the hope for Boley is that he'll reach another level and become one of the premier players at his position. He's tough at the point of attack, doesn't like running backs to take his corner and can come off the blitz. Must learn how to drop into coverage better and show some range when he gets back there.

HARD TRUTH: C Todd McClure has been one of the most reliable starters. But with Bobby Petrino's staff desiring to get bigger along the offensive line, McClure's time may be up. He's A scrappy little fighter, who holds the point of attack. He was the prototype shorter and quicker lineman used in the former cut-blocking scheme implemented under Alex Gibbs. The Falcons want to get bigger across the front and want to be able to power the ball at teams. They want some drive blockers. Don't expect McClure, a battler with a mean streak, to yield his position without a fight. He's anchored the line that had lead the Falcons to three straight rushing titles.

Maybe we could sign pro-bowl, free agent, Andre Gurode? He is 6'4" 312-lbs. He would certainly fit the bill, of a bigger, stronger anchor at Center. We have struggled at two things, in regards to the O-Line. First of all, while our running game is productive, it's well below average in power runs, up the gut. Also, pass protection was lacking, because our C/LG couldn't anchor. The biggest problem with the Falcons offense was not the Wide Receivers, it was not Michael Vick, it was the interior O-Line. My ideal;

Sign Andre Gurode as the primary FA acquisition
Draft Justin Blaylock in round two
Get Kynan Forney back from injury

With that, the interior O-Line would be dominant. Vastly improving the run game, and pass game.

DraftMichaelHuff
02-19-2007, 05:04 PM
Sign Andre Gurode as the primary FA acquisition

Draft Justin Blaylock in round two

Get Kynan Forney back from injury

That would be the 2nd most ideal situation in my opinion. I like the signing of Gurode but i would draft Manuel Remirez who is stronger and in better shape that the rapidly falling blaylock, he reminds me of Mike Williams too much while remirez screams power O Line.

That would also allow up to do BPA in round one or 2 after adressing the long tern need at CB/FS with Reggie Nelson or Merriweather in rounds 1 or 2 respectivly.
rd 1 = Nelson
rd 2 = BPA = Staley, Charles Johnson, Sears, Moses, Abriami, Ugoh
rd 3 = Remirez

OR

rd 1= BPA = Carriker, Branch, Brown,Peterson,Adam, Anderson (even CJ (w) Shaub)
rd 2= Merriweather
rd 3= Remirez

Shiver
02-19-2007, 05:24 PM
In free agency, acquire either Shaun O'Hara, or Andre Gurode, to replace Todd McClure. Either of which would vastly improve the interior O-Line. If any more space is available, grab a veteran receiver.

I think there is only one hole for our defense, that is Free Safety. So I want Laron Landry at #10. He has four years of being a leader, and productive player, on an elite collegiate defense. Meanwhile, his brother, who isn't nearly as talented, was very effective as a Free Safety on the best defense in football this year.

Then in the 2nd round, grab a Guard, Ben Grubbs, Arron Sears, Justin Blaylock, Josh Beekman, Manuel Ramirez, whomever.

With those three moves alone, the team would be much better, on both sides of the ball.

Dave
02-19-2007, 05:32 PM
In free agency, acquire either Shaun O'Hara, or Andre Gurode, to replace Todd McClure. Either of which would vastly improve the interior O-Line. If any more space is available, grab a veteran receiver.

I think there is only one hole for our defense, that is Free Safety. So I want Laron Landry at #10. He has four years of being a leader, and productive player, on an elite collegiate defense. Meanwhile, his brother, who isn't nearly as talented, was very effective as a Free Safety on the best defense in football this year.

Then in the 2nd round, grab a Guard, Ben Grubbs, Arron Sears, Justin Blaylock, Josh Beekman, Manuel Ramirez, whomever.

With those three moves alone, the team would be much better, on both sides of the ball.

Andre Gurode or Alex Stepanovich assuming the Cardinals can't offer him the money he wants or if he just wants a change of scenary. Landry is good, but he hasn't been a consistent starter. From what i've seen he's started games during his four years but never a full season until this past year. Yahoo might not have had all the stats right but that's how they reported it. Either Landry had injury problems or academic problems or just wasn't starting. I still like Landry.

Shiver
02-19-2007, 06:54 PM
Shaun O'Hara is a very good Center as well, and would certainly be a better scheme fit, than what the team currently has.

iloxygenil
02-19-2007, 08:45 PM
Well...to be honest, with a 5 year contract just signed for him I think it'd be tough to move him, but if we do, I'd hope we trade him to a team like Denver or Green Bay and get at least a 2nd day pick for him, instead of an outright cut.

Shiver
02-19-2007, 09:28 PM
We wouldn't have to dump him. At the least, what is the harm in a solid back-up? That doesn't mean we cannot sign an improvement. His cap number is awfully low.

Shiver
02-19-2007, 09:29 PM
Now any hope in signing Kerney is gone. I hope we don't franchise him, that would be a travesty. We could sign several key free agents, instead. That would be much more desirable.

iloxygenil
02-19-2007, 09:43 PM
If we franchise him, I'm going to transfer my fanship elsewhere. I want him gone, I said it before, I love his motor, but he's just not THAT productive. He had 1 monster year, I'm going to miss seeing him out there and I think he's a great character guy for this team, but I really don't see how us getting a DE in this year's draft to rotate with Chauncey, who was very good, and Carrington, who was also very good, is going to be worth signing him to some big contract $$$.

Shiver
02-19-2007, 09:49 PM
Great news:

Deadline near for Falcons DE Kerney

By STEVE WYCHE
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 02/20/07

Falcons defensive end Patrick Kerney plans to void the remaining two years of his contract — he's owed $13.8 million — next week, making him an unrestricted free agent, according to his co-representative, Rich Rosa.

Beginning today, Kerney has a week to opt out of his deal, which he is expected to do, although he probably won't rush. According to Rosa, he wants to work out a new deal with the Falcons, who drafted him in the first round out of Virginia in 1999.

The Falcons and the eight-year veteran have been working on a contract extension for months. Both sides said they want to work out a deal, but with a limited number of pending top free-agent defensive ends set to hit the open market, Kerney could be in high demand if he is not signed by the start of free agency on March 2.

"He wants to give them every opportunity to re-sign him," Rosa said.

Another reason for Kerney's lack of immediacy to void his contract could be to let Thursday's franchise tag deadline expire. The Falcons could slap the franchise label on Kerney, taking him off the market by tendering him a one-year deal of about $8.6 million — the average salary of the five highest-paid defensive ends in the NFL.

If Kerney voids his contract after Thursday, the Falcons would not be able to stop him from becoming an unrestricted free agent.

If it chose to franchise Kerney, Atlanta would consume much of its projected $10 million in salary-cap space for the 2007 season unless it releases some players and/or reworks the contracts of others. By working out a long-term deal, the Falcons could spread out the salary-cap implications of all bonus money over the length of the contract and retain financial flexibility.

Kerney missed the final seven games of last season after suffering a torn chest muscle that required season-ending surgery. The injury, from which he is expected to fully recover before training camp, ended his streak of consecutive games played at 105.

A 2004 Pro Bowl selection, Kerney (6 feet 5, 273 pounds) has 58 sacks and 270 tackles in his career.

Good, force the team to sign him to a long term deal, if at all. Think less cap hit. Either way, a franchise is bad for both sides. Now we have four needs, four desires;

Needs
Free Safety
Defensive End
Left Tackle
Left Guard

Desires
Running Back
Center
Wide Receiver
Nose Tackle

Ideally, through Free Agency, then the draft, all of those will be met.

lsantaoe
02-19-2007, 10:19 PM
Great news:

Deadline near for Falcons DE Kerney

By STEVE WYCHE

Published on: 02/20/07

Falcons defensive end Patrick Kerney plans to void the remaining two years of his contract — he's owed $13.8 million — next week, making him an unrestricted free agent, according to his co-representative, Rich Rosa.

Beginning today, Kerney has a week to opt out of his deal, which he is expected to do, although he probably won't rush. According to Rosa, he wants to work out a new deal with the Falcons, who drafted him in the first round out of Virginia in 1999.

The Falcons and the eight-year veteran have been working on a contract extension for months. Both sides said they want to work out a deal, but with a limited number of pending top free-agent defensive ends set to hit the open market, Kerney could be in high demand if he is not signed by the start of free agency on March 2.

"He wants to give them every opportunity to re-sign him," Rosa said.

Another reason for Kerney's lack of immediacy to void his contract could be to let Thursday's franchise tag deadline expire. The Falcons could slap the franchise label on Kerney, taking him off the market by tendering him a one-year deal of about $8.6 million — the average salary of the five highest-paid defensive ends in the NFL.

If Kerney voids his contract after Thursday, the Falcons would not be able to stop him from becoming an unrestricted free agent.

If it chose to franchise Kerney, Atlanta would consume much of its projected $10 million in salary-cap space for the 2007 season unless it releases some players and/or reworks the contracts of others. By working out a long-term deal, the Falcons could spread out the salary-cap implications of all bonus money over the length of the contract and retain financial flexibility.

Kerney missed the final seven games of last season after suffering a torn chest muscle that required season-ending surgery. The injury, from which he is expected to fully recover before training camp, ended his streak of consecutive games played at 105.

A 2004 Pro Bowl selection, Kerney (6 feet 5, 273 pounds) has 58 sacks and 270 tackles in his career.

Good, force the team to sign him to a long term deal, if at all. Think less cap hit. Either way, a franchise is bad for both sides. Now we have four needs, four desires;

Needs
Free Safety
Defensive End
Left Tackle
Left Guard

Desires
Running Back
Center
Wide Receiver
Nose Tackle

Ideally, through Free Agency, then the draft, all of those will be met.
I'd like...

FA: Guard/ Center, Wide Reciever, Defensive End (backup/ stop gap)
Draft: Free Safety, Runninback, Defensive End, OG/ OT

Shiver
02-19-2007, 11:23 PM
I think we can get two starting caliber free agents, at the most. That means, the remaining six, I have, will have to come in the first four rounds of the draft.

d34ng3l021
02-20-2007, 12:25 AM
Sigh. His presence and desire for the game will be missed. Not neccesarily his production. Not to mention his production can easily be replaced in this deep DE class. Oh well. Bye Kerney.

So I was at some forum talking about Ed Reed and Champ Bailey, and I was thinking what a luxury it would be having a safety like Ed Reed. Those Raven fans really have it easy when it comes to watching their defense play.

Man. I cant wait to see how this offseason plays out.

iloxygenil
02-20-2007, 12:51 AM
Yeah, I'm sick of not having a Safety, they are underrated, an elite Safety can make an average defense a good defense, and a good defense (which I feel we have) into a great one

d34ng3l021
02-20-2007, 12:56 AM
Yeah, I'm sick of not having a Safety, they are unde , an elite Safety can make an average defense a good defense, and a good defense (which I feel we have) into a great one

Yeah seriously. Everyone just passes off safeties as just eh and arent worth much, but look at the trend of good teams and how impactful their safeties have been. Safeties can definetly take an average defense and turn it into a good-elite one.

Shiver
02-20-2007, 02:03 AM
Does everyone agree with my "Needs & Desires" list?

On another topic; I read a scouting report of Levi Brown that scarred me off. He seems like a BOOM/BUST type player. I want a defensive player in round one, I think. Free Safety, preferably Laron Landry, he is about as sure of a thing that you have in this draft. Or Defensive End, where either Jamaal Anderson, Adam Carriker, Charles Johnson would be ideal at LDE. What I would want is simple;

Take best DE at #10
Trade Schaub, grab Michael Griffin in mid-late first round
BPA from there

SimonRath
02-20-2007, 06:24 AM

On another topic; I read a scouting report of Levi Brown that scarred me off. He seems like a BOOM/BUST type player. I want a defensive player in round one, I think. Free Safety, preferably Laron Landry, he is about as sure of a thing that you have in this draft. Or Defensive End, where either Jamaal Anderson, Adam Carriker, Charles Johnson would be ideal at LDE. What I would want is simple;

Take best DE at #10
BPA from there

The only DE's that i want in the 1st round would be Anderson, or Adams.. I'm not that big on Carriker. But the trade with Schaub for Griffin is great.

georgiafan
02-20-2007, 09:22 AM
How about Leonard Davis the cards aren't expected to sign him and he is plenty big enough.

iloxygenil
02-20-2007, 10:26 AM
I'm up for Leonard Davis, I'd really like to have a big guy like that protecting Vick. It'd be pretty sweet.

As far as our needs / desires go, I think that WR needs to be moved to need. Since it's unlikely that we will re-sign Lelie, that leaves us with Jenks / Roddy / Finn / Adam. And while I like Kevin Youngblood, I just don't think any of those guys are a #1 WR and we NEED that. Especially since we have such a low number of WRs, in an offense that likes to run 4 WRs a lot. My thing is, when he wants to run 5 WRs, where does Alge go? He's gotta be out there.

As far as DEs go, If we stay at #10 then I say that there are only 2 guys worth the #10 pick from the DE position, 1.) Jamaal Anderson 2.) Gaines Adams.

D-Rod
02-20-2007, 11:03 AM
Leonard Davis has proven that he's not a good NFL Left Tackle. He could be an elite OG, but his ego will prevent him from accepting the step down. While he might be a slight upgrade over Gandy, it would be a huge mistake to give him the kind of money he will be demanding.

Oh, and Gurode resigned with the Cowboys.

I suspect that we stick with McClure for at least the next year. He's a real hard worker, so maybe he can put some weight on over the next six months.

I basically agree with you, Shiver, on needs and wants. If Kerney leaves, then power end becomes a need. If he stays, then a rush end is a want.

georgiafan
02-20-2007, 11:05 AM
If kerney leaves which looks like he is going to that will add another day 1 need. It's looking more and more like Schaub needs to be traded to help with some of the other needs.

D-Rod
02-20-2007, 11:05 AM
As far as DEs go, If we stay at #10 then I say that there are only 2 guys worth the #10 pick from the DE position, 1.) Jamaal Anderson 2.) Gaines Adams.

Pre-combine, I'll agree. Post-combine, I suspect that both Big Bully and Carriker will be worthy of consideration at #10.

There are three Kerney replacements at power end: Anderson, CJ and Carricker. Adams is really just a RDE, where we already have Abe.

georgiafan
02-20-2007, 11:07 AM
I would also add DT as at least a desire

Shiver
02-20-2007, 12:12 PM

Pre-combine, I'll agree. Post-combine, I suspect that both Big Bully and Carriker will be worthy of consideration at #10.

There are three Kerney replacements at power end: Anderson, CJ and Carricker. Adams is really just a RDE, where we already have Abe.

I agree. Actually, Carriker and Johnson are already on Mel Kiper's top-15 on his big board. Both are expected to surprise people with how athletic they are. Carriker would be ideal, I would love what he brings to the table.

georgiafan
02-20-2007, 12:57 PM
Since Johnson is like 6'1 275 people are not expecting much out of him so I can see why he will rise if he performs well this week.

d34ng3l021
02-20-2007, 01:01 PM
Cowboys | Team signs Gurode
Tue, 20 Feb 2007 06:57:39 -0800

John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports the Dallas Cowboys have signed C Andre Gurode to a six-year contract. Financial terms of the deal were not immediately available.

Sorry Shiver.

Shiver
02-20-2007, 01:16 PM
I know, it's sad. Now there is only one upgrade available, at Center, that is Shaun O'Hara of the Giants. All I want is one big time O-Lineman, at either C,G,T. From what I can tell, there is only one Left Tackle that would be an upgrade, one Center, several Guards however.

Shiver
02-20-2007, 01:34 PM
I just noticed something. Assuming he goes without injuries, if he improves as a passer, Michael Vick could end up being the Falcons top passer, runner, of all time. :shock: If he averages 2,600 yards passing, 600 yards rushing, he would pass both Steve Bartkowski and Gerald Riggs, in five years. Even in five years, he would only be thirty two.

Shiver
02-20-2007, 03:48 PM
My top-5, as of now, Draft board for #10:

Jamaal Anderson | 6'6" 280-lbs | DE | Arkansas

Adrian Peterson | 6'2" 215-lbs | RB | Oklahoma

Laron Landry | 6'0" 205-lbs | FS | L.S.U

Adam Carriker | 6'6" 295-lbs | DE | Nebraska

Levi Brown | 6'5" 325-lbs | LT | Penn State

falconsrule
02-20-2007, 04:43 PM
I really feel like its a slim chance that Kerney will be in a falcon jersey next year. question:what if adam carriker has a great combine do you guys think we take him at #10.

MY TOP 3 PICKS
10)Carriker
44)Meriweather
75)Satele

Shiver
02-20-2007, 04:51 PM
1. Adam Carriker

2. Justin Blaylock

3. Marvin White

Shiver
02-20-2007, 05:23 PM
I wonder if there is any chance we make a run at any of the free agent Wide Receivers?

SimonRath
02-20-2007, 06:44 PM
I wonder if there is any chance we make a run at any of the free agent Wide Receivers?

Like who?? to be honest, I cant think of any WR free agents that i would want. But i dont know all the free agents

iloxygenil
02-20-2007, 07:03 PM

Like who?? to be honest, I cant think of any WR free agents that i would want. But i dont know all the free agents
Stallworth.

I think we will make a run at him, and I think we will spend a day 1 pick on a WR as well.

d34ng3l021
02-20-2007, 07:05 PM

Stallworth.

I think we will make a run at him, and I think we will spend a day 1 pick on a WR as well.

No way.

lsantaoe
02-20-2007, 07:11 PM

Take best DE at #10
BPA from there
I like Landry a lot, but don't think safety is the way to go in round 1. Look at the talent likely to be available at our picks...

Round 1:
Safety
LaRon Landry
Reggie Nelson

Defensive End
Adam Carriker
Charles Johnson

Defensive Tackle:
Amobi Okoye

Offensive Tackle:
Levi Brown

Round 2:
Safety:
Eric Weddle
Brandon Meriweather

Offensive Line:
???...no good values likely remain

Defensive Tackle:
I want a stud if we get a Nose Tackle

Defensive End:
LaMarr Woodley
Tim Crowder (?)

From this I see the options at safety are, in my opinion, the best options in round 2; where as if we went safety in round one the offensive line prospects, defensive end prospects, and defensive tackle prospects aren't too impressive. Crowder has a shot of being gone prior to our pick, and Woodley I'm not a huge fan of there. One of Meriweather or Weddle is very likely to be available to us, maybe both. I like those options much better in round 2 than any other round 2 chance. That's why I'd perfer to go DE, DT, or OT in round 1.

Also, sad to say we might be in the market for Amobi with this latest incident (Babineaux).

lsantaoe
02-20-2007, 07:15 PM
I know, it's sad. Now there is only one upgrade available, at Center, that is Shaun O'Hara of the Giants. All I want is one big time O-Lineman, at either C,G,T. From what I can tell, there is only one Left Tackle that would be an upgrade, one Center, several Guards however.
I also see the amout of quality guards, but the C and T positions don't excite.

The OL talent in this draft doesn't excite me either, which is a bad combination.

lsantaoe
02-20-2007, 07:26 PM
My top-5, as of now, Draft board for #10:

Jamaal Anderson | 6'6" 280-lbs | DE | Arkansas

Adrian Peterson | 6'2" 215-lbs | RB | Oklahoma

Laron Landry | 6'0" 205-lbs | FS | L.S.U

Adam Carriker | 6'6" 295-lbs | DE | Nebraska

Levi Brown | 6'5" 325-lbs | LT | Penn State
I'd say, having everyone available...

Joe Thomas, OT Wisconsin
Calvin Johnson, WR Georgia Tech.
Jamaal Anderson, DE Arkansas
Gaines Adams, DE Clemson
Adrian Peterson, RB Oklahoma
Alan Branch, DT Michigan
Amobi Okoye, DT Louisville
Charles Johnson, DE Georgia
Adam Carriker, DE/ UT Nebraska
LaRon Landry, S LSU
Levi Brown, OT Penn. State

That's my top 10. I like Landry as a player more than Carriker and Johnson but the round 2 options at S are better than the round 2 options at DL. Not a fan of Brown's value at 10, so he is low.

I think I finally figured out how to make bullets!

SimonRath
02-20-2007, 07:46 PM

Stallworth.

No way.

Yea, i dont think we will waste big bucks on a fast short reciever like Stallworth.. dont get me wrong Stallworth is a good WR but we done need a WR like him.. And we might spend a day 1 pick on a WR but i dont think we should

iloxygenil
02-20-2007, 10:27 PM
We don't have any WRs like that, and they are dynamic, the guy knows how to play football and does a great job getting separation, we have PLENTY of big targets for Vick, time to start getting WRs who can get away from defenders. Stallworth is a baller, and I'd love to have him on this team. Him and Johnnie Lee Higgins would be amazing.

Shiver
02-20-2007, 10:28 PM
Great article:

AJC Off-Season (http://www.ajc.com/services/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/02/20/0221falcons.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=21url)

Falcons face tough decisions
With draft near, key personnel issues are pending

By STEVE WYCHE
Published on: 02/21/07

Beginning Wednesday, Falcons coach Bobby Petrino and members of the team's coaching and personnel staffs begin analyzing draft prospects at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis.

Playing a role in determining which players they will focus on at the combine are opinions they have formed about current players, salary-

cap implications, free agency and potential trades.

As the team gets down to personnel business, the AJC analyzes some of the more pressing offseason issues facing the Falcons.

Insurance or trade bait?

The most intriguing scenario involves backup quarterback Matt Schaub, a restricted free agent who figures to draw interest from other teams.

The Falcons do not want to lose Schaub and plan to place a one-year contract tender on him, possibly in excess of $2 million, as well as a compensation attachment of a first and/or third-round draft pick.

The high ransom could discourage some teams, however, a straight trade for a draft pick or a player should not be ruled out. As much as the club wants to keep Schaub, it doesn't want to lose him for nothing after the 2007 season when he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

If the Falcons lose Schaub, they would sign a veteran backup to Michael Vick; however, second-year Georgia product D.J. Shockley could emerge as the backup.

Another key restricted free agent is outside linebacker Demorrio Williams, a player the Falcons do not want to let get away.

In-house free agents

The Falcons have to decide what to do with starters Patrick Kerney, Justin Griffith and Ashley Lelie, all unrestricted free agents. Their futures with the team could affect how the team drafts and enters the free-agent market.

Kerney, who recently turned 30, has been productive over eight seasons and is arguably the leader of the defense. However, he suffered a triceps injury and a season-ending chest injury last season. Although neither injury in career-threatening, Kerney is at a stage in his career where his age, durability and longevity could factor into contract negotiations.

The Falcons project to have roughly $10 million to use under the salary cap. Kerney could command a hefty salary. Kerney has expressed loyalty to the franchise that drafted him in the first round in 1999, but this might be his last shot at a big payday.

Negotiations have been going on for months, but there have been no signs the sides are close to a deal.

Griffith has been a fixture at fullback. A good pass receiver, runner and open-field blocker, he does not fit the mold of the pile-moving lead blocker Petrino would like to employ out of the backfield.

Although he is well-liked and regarded as a versatile and quality player, Griffith could be a victim of the transition.

As for Lelie, price will drive his retention. If he commands a lot, he won't be back. The Falcons like him and his ability to get separation on deep routes, and they ideally don't want to get younger at wide receiver.

Petrino likes to use four wide receivers, and Lelie is the only true deep threat among Roddy White, Michael Jenkins and Brian Finneran, who is returning from a season-ending knee injury.

Draft approach

Though several mock drafts have the Falcons targeting a safety — LSU's LaRon Landry or Florida's Reggie Nelson are the most commonly projected — the use of their 10th overall pick on a defensive lineman should not be ruled out.

More than anything, of the four starting defensive linemen, John Abraham, 28, is the only one under 30.

If Kerney leaves, defensive end becomes a priority. It still could be the key position of need because of the serious injuries Kerney and injury-prone Abraham suffered last season.

Nose tackle Grady Jackson is 34 years old and 10 years into the league. Darrell Shropshire and Tommy Jackson did not establish themselves as steady backups.

Rod Coleman, a force when healthy, was plagued by a turf toe injury last season and turns 31 this year. His backup, Jonathan Babineaux, was charged Monday with felony cruelty to animals for allegedly killing his girlfriend's dog. That might not bode well legally, with Petrino or with character-conscious league commissioner Roger Goodell, who has been heavy-handed with fines and suspension for image-tarnishing behavior.

Other top picks could be used for the secondary, offensive line, running back and linebacker.

Age and injury

A reason the Falcons could be looking at linebackers is the uncertain return from injuries to middle linebacker Ed Hartwell. Having barely played in two seasons because of Achilles tendon and knee operations, Hartwell would seem like an easy mark to release, creating cap space and an opportunity for someone who might develop with the defense.

However, the injuries have not allowed him to prove himself. It is unlikely a judgment will be made on Hartwell until after minicamps, offseason drills and possibly the early stages of training camp. Jordan Beck appears to be a solid backup, but if Hartwell can't go, depth becomes an issue.

Tailback Warrick Dunn isn't going anywhere, although he is 32 years old, showed signs of slowing and has a salary-cap figure of nearly $5 million. His role could be reduced, but there is a feeling he has at least one, if not two, more years of good football in him.

I am starting to come around, in terms of thinking that Defensive Tackle is a legitimate need. I think Amobi Okoye, very well, could be the pick. Although I would prefer Alan Branch. I just am tired of the D-Line, being so thin, that one injury there derails the defense. As has been the case, the previous two seasons.

Shiver
02-21-2007, 12:53 AM
Does anyone have a Michael Boley sig, by any chance?

Draft King
02-21-2007, 06:40 AM
I am really praying that either Jamaal Anderson or Gaines Adams drops to us, they are going to be studs.

D-Rod
02-21-2007, 07:59 AM
I am really praying that either Jamaal Anderson or Gaines Adams drops to us, they are going to be studs.

Adams is a RDE all the way - albeit a very good one. We already have Abe there - though a quality backup would be great. But if Kerney leaves, we have a gaping hole at LDE, to which role Anderson, C.Johnson, and Carricker would be far better suited.

Bring on the combine! :D

Just out of curiosity, does anyone think that after a year of bulking up, Carrington might be able to handle LDE? He has the natural size. I'm convinced neither by him nor by Chauncey.

D-Rod
02-21-2007, 08:33 AM
If Kerney leaves, and we didn't sign a single FA:

#10: Levi Brown
#44: Eric Weddle
#73: Crowder/McDonald/Alama-Francis (steal, but suspect one will drop)
#102: Kolby Smith
Denver 4th: C.J. Gaddis
#136: David Ball
#165: Kurt Quarterman

D-Rod
02-21-2007, 08:35 AM
One final thought:

If we lose Kerney, we really have to trade Schaub. We have too many needs to hold on to a backup QB, it's that simple. If Vick gets injured, so be it, sh*t happens. It'll be interesting to see Shockley. It's likely to be a rebuilding year anyway if we don't deal with our numerous issues.

iloxygenil
02-21-2007, 10:04 AM
If anyone has a good Boley picture I can make a sig, I don't have any cutouts of him or anything, not even any really good pictures. But I can make one if you know of a place I can get a picture.

Shiver
02-21-2007, 10:37 AM
One final thought:

If we lose Kerney, we really have to trade Schaub. We have too many needs to hold on to a backup QB, it's that simple. If Vick gets injured, so be it, sh*t happens. It'll be interesting to see Shockley. It's likely to be a rebuilding year anyway if we don't deal with our numerous issues.

I agree wholeheartedly. If no one goes after Schaub, the best option then, is to trade down. If we trade down, or trade Schaub, we will have double digit picks to work with.

iloxygenil
02-21-2007, 03:53 PM
Regardless of Kerney staying or going. Which, he needs to go, we have to move Schaub, we can't afford to give him away for nothing, last year was his peak value.

Shiver
02-21-2007, 04:09 PM
If we can get enough value for him, sure, trade him. I just don't know if anyone will give up a 1st round value for him.

lsantaoe
02-21-2007, 04:23 PM
I'm really starting to like Charles Johnson with pick 10.

Shiver
02-21-2007, 04:44 PM
Right now, I want any D-Lineman. Although I could live with Landry, Peterson, or trade down.

iloxygenil
02-21-2007, 06:35 PM
I don't care what we get for him, as long as it's at least a day one pick. Even if it's a 2nd and 4th, that's fine, I just want to make sure that we get something for him, I don't care if it's a first rounder, I'd actually prefer getting a 2nd and 3rd or a 2nd and 4th than I would to just getting 1 round 1 pick. Then we could package our #10 pick + one of our 2nd round picks if we want to move up to get Calvin. I just want him gone, I'm sick of everyone on AFMB talking about how great he is, sure he's going to be fine, but no one could do what Vick has done for ATL.

iloxygenil
02-21-2007, 06:50 PM
What happened today? Weigh ins or anything? I know stuff started today, just don't know what, and I can't find a site with good coverage anywhere.

D-Rod
02-21-2007, 06:53 PM
Interesting. According to John Clayton, in 1st and 10:

"Levi Brown of Penn State was impressive in the Senior Bowl and is trying to vault into the top five."

And there doesn't appear to be any coverage of the combine at all yet...

DraftMichaelHuff
02-21-2007, 08:07 PM
LOL can someone tell me why i have never even taken a 2nd glance at Hawaii's DE Ikaika Alama-Francis. Untill i read scotts scouting report i have to admit ive never ready considered him but after reading it it seems he has better speed and size than many of the other DE propsects as well as having defending the run as one of his strengths. THe guy is 6"5 285 and runs a 4.7 thats insane. Has any of you guys got an insight into this guy and could he possibily be there in the 3rd after taking OL and FS in the 1st 2 rounds?

iloxygenil
02-21-2007, 11:50 PM
He will be a 2nd rounder at least. His problem is his injury history. I know he missed most of this year because of it. He is definitely an impact end.

CowboysOwnDC
02-22-2007, 05:41 AM
For everyones viewing pleasure, on a Cowboys website we did a 4 round mock. I traded down from 10 to 15 (to take Landry or Nelson) and Levi Brown was still on the board. The value just wasn't there for RB or DE at the times of my picks..anyways- here you go.

Atlanta Falcons (CowboysownDC)
1(15) Levi Brown T Penn St.
2(44) Brandon Merriweather S Miami
3(75) Manuel Ramirez G Texas Tech
3(77) Mason Crosby K Colorado
4(105) Ryan Smith CB Florida
4(117) Darius Walker RB Notre Dame

I expect the Crosby pick to get some criticism especially with Koenen on board, but I really think he would sure up the FG kicking game a lot better, plus it was BPA on my board. (I had him in the 60s). The extra 3rd came from the trade down- no players were allowed to be traded.

lsantaoe
02-22-2007, 07:29 AM
Here's an offseason I made...

Atlanta Offseason:

Cuts:
Eric Beverly, TE
Reason: Petrino will likely use a good amount of two tight-end sets, but Beverly probably isn't what he is looking for. He will likely look at Daniel Fells, who Blank reportedly called our 'secret weapon last year; and maybe even Dwayne Blakley or a rookie.

Wayne Gandy, OT
Reason: His cap hit is huge, and his play is mediocre. That says it in a nutshell, although finding a replacement will be tough.

Alan Rossum, CB
Reason: His play has declined as of late, and I wouldn't say he is still worth his million plus cap hit.

Ike Reese, LB/ ST
Reason: Causes too many penalties on ST and is undersized as a LB.

Projected Cap Space: 16-18 million

Free Agency:
Tony Pashos- OT- 6'6- 320- Baltimore
Reason: Pashos should come at a relatively low, albeit not too cheap, price tag. He was on a line protecting Steve McNair, who was sacked only 14 times in 16 game, and has excellent size at 6'6 and 320 pounds. He should compete, and will likely win, in a competition with Quinn Ojinnaka and Frank Omiyale.

Derrick Dockery- OG- 6'6- 335- Washington
Reason: The big signing of the year. A mountain of a man at 6'6 and 335 pounds, Dockery was arguably the best offensive lineman on the Redskins last year. A young player at 26, Dockery has the potential to be one of the best in the league. Would automatically, paired with Pashos, make our line very intimidating. No doubt the big signing of the year.

Juqua Thomas- DE- 6'2- 250- Philadelphia
Reason: A undersized DE, Thomas registered 6 sacks last year in his first year having significant time on the field. He knows how to get to the quarterback, and should be a good backup player and maybe even a suprise.

Shantee Orr- SLB- 6'0- 250- Houston
Reason: The depth at SAM LB is scary. We have no one. Orr has good size and 4 years of NFL experience, getting somewhat significant time the past 2 years. Should give a ST player and decent backup at the Strongside Linebacker position.

Terrence Holt, FS Detroit
Reason: Holt was relatively productive as a backup in Detroit last year, and should be in the market for a starting job. At the least he will compete for a job in Atlanta, and could very well start. Should have a cheap price tag at a possibly big role.

Mock

Round 1

1.Oakland: JaMarcus Russell, QB LSU
2.Detroit: Joe Thomas, OT Wisconsin
3.Cleveland: Adrian Peterson, RB Oklahoma
4.Tampa Bay: Calvin Johnson, WR Georgia Tech.
5.Arizona: Jamaal Anderson, DE Arkansas
6.Washington: Gaines Adams, DE Clemson
7.Minnesota: LaRon Landry, S LSU
8.Houston: MarShawn Lynch, RB California
9.Miami: Alan Branch, DT Houston
10. Atlanta: Charles Johnson, DE Georgia
11. San Francisco: Adam Carriker, DE Nebraska
12. Buffalo: Levi Brown, OT Penn. State
13. Saint Louis: Lawrence Timmons, OLB FSU
14. Carolina: Brady Quinn, QB Notre Dame
15. Pittsburgh: Jarvis Moss, OLB/ DE UF
16. Greenbay: Dwayne Jarrett, WR USC
17. Jacksonville: Reggie Nelson, FS Florida
18. Cincinnati: Amobi Okoye, DT Louisville
19. Tennessee: Leon Hall, CB Michigan
20. New York Giants: Darrelle Revis, CB Pittsburgh
21. Denver: Victor Abiamiri, DE Notre Dame
22. Dallas: Aaron Ross, CB Texas
23. Kansas City: Robert Meachem, WR Tennessee
24. New England: Anthony Spencer, OLB Purdue
25. New York Jets: Tank Tyler, NT NC State
26. Philadelphia: Patrick Willis, LB Ole Miss.
27. New Orleans: Paul Posluszny, LB Penn. State
28. New England: Michael Griffin, DB Texas
29. Baltimore: Ben Grubbs, OG Auburn
30. San Diego: Ted Ginn Jr., WR OSU
31. Chicago: Justin Blaylock, OG Texas
32. Indianapolis: Jon Beason, LB Miami

Round 2

33. Oakland: Joe Staley, OT Central Michigan
34. Detroit: Daymeion Hughes, CB California
35. Tampa Bay: Quentin Moses, DE UGA
36. Cleveland: Troy Smith, QB OSU
37. New York Jets: Chris Houston, CB Arkansas
38. Arizona: Tony Ugoh, OT Arkansas
39. Houston: Aaron Sears, OL Tennessee
40. Miami: Brandon Meriweather, DB Miami
41. Minnesota: Dwayne Bowe, WR LSU
42. San Francisco: Sidney Rice, WR South Carolina
43. Buffalo: Greg Olsen, TE Miami
44. Atlanta: Eric Weddle, DB Utah
45. Carolina: Zach Miller, TE Arizona State
46. Pittsburgh: Marcus McCauley, CB Fresno State
47. Green Bay: Ryan Kalil, C USC
48. Jacksonville: Tim Crowder, DE Texas
49. Cincinnati: Justin Harrell, DT Tennessee
50. Tennessee: LaMarr Woodley, DE Michigan
51. New York Giants: Earl Everett, OLB UF
52. Saint Louis: Quinn Pitcock, DT OSU
53. Dallas: Josh Beekman, OG BSU
54. Kansas City: Buster Davis, MLB FSU
55. Seattle: Scott Chandler, TE Iowa
56. Denver: Ryan McBean, DT OSU
57. Philadelphia: John Wendling, SS Wyoming
58. New Orleans: Eric Wright, CB UNLV
59. New York Jets: Brian Leonard, FB Rutgers
60. New England: Brandon Siler, ILB UF
61. Baltimore: Tony Hunt, RB Penn. State
62. San Diego: Marvin White, S TCU
63. Chicago: Rufus Alexander, OLB OU
64. Tampa Bay: Brandon MeBane

Round 3

65. Oakland: Ikaika Ilama-Francis
66. Detroit: Marshal Yanda, OG Iowa
67. Cleveland: Ray McDonald, DE/ UT UF
68. Tampa Bay: Tanard Jackson, DB Syracuse
69. Arizona: Josh Wilson, CB Maryland
70. Denver: David Irons, CB Auburn
71. Minnesota: Dan Bazuin, DE Central Michigan
72. Houston: Drew Stanton, QB Michigan State
73. Miami: Trent Edwards, QB Stanford
74. Atlanta: Fred Bennett, CB South Carolina

Falcons Draft:

Round 1: Charles Johnson, DE UGA...6'2/ 270
Reason: This pick is a bit complicated. First of all, I believe his stock could be here if not higher by draft time; right now though, he is in the 12-17 range. Well, that's what me and many think anyway. My favorite individual player at 10 is LaRon Landry, but it's not that simple. You have to look beyond round 1, who will likely be available in the later rounds and who won't. Of course we don't know for sure, but we can predict. In round 2, the options for the defensive line and offensive line are not exciting; where as the free safety options are a lot better. At end, unless someone falls, you have LaMarr Woodley and possibly Tim Crowder. There is noone of good value at tackle or guard unless someone falls, and you can't just hope someone falls. In round 3 I think it's too late to find a starter at end or tackle, unless someone falls, which you can't depend on. You need to be pretty sure a player you like will be available. That, paired with Johnson's pure talent and all around game style, direct me to select him at 10.

Round 2: Eric Weddle, DB Utah...6'0/ 200
Reason: When I said I liked the options in round 2 at safety, I was referring to Brandon Meriweather and Eric Weddle. Keep in mind it's not a sure thing either will be available, especially Meriweather, but both have concerns that could drop them and right now it looks like at least one of them will be available. Weddle is just an excellent football player all around, and plays behind his physical tools. His versatility allows him to play every position in the defensive backfield and should immediately compete with Terrence Holt and possibly Lawyer Milloy. Gasp. His speed is up in the air at the moment, ranging from the 4.40 to 4.50, but it shouldn't hinder him much.

Round 3: Fred Bennett, CB South Carolina...6'1/ 200
Reason: Thinking ahead just keeps working, eh? The CB class is deep, although it lacks 'elite talent'. If not for a late run on Cbs, we would have more of a selection but it didn't end up that way. When it all comes down to it guys like Travarous Bain, a tremendous athlete; and Michael Coe, who just has good football insticts and playmaking ability. Their could be a lot of Cbs being selected in the first 3 rounds. Bennett might have more tools than any of them though; he stands over 6'0, weighs in at roughly 200 pounds, is a great athlete and runs in the 4.4 range. He also comes from South Carolina University, who has put out a lot of Dbs in to the NFL as of late, and they have been successful.

Round 4: Brandon Myles, WR West Virginia...6'3/ 185
Reason: Might be considered a reach, but I can see Myles rising a lot pre draft. His size (6'3- 185) and speed (4.40) make scouts open their eyes, and wonder what could have been in a pass oriented attack. Drills will be crucial to him, but I just got a feeling. Also, I think this is the way Petrino will lean, a fast, downfield WR rather than a big possession guy; like the other guys I considered in Courtney Taylor and Rhema McKnight. I could also see Chris Davis or maybe Jacoby Jones here or a bit later.

Round 4: Kolby Smith, RB Louisville...5'11/ 215
Reason: I like Smith. He has good size at 5'11 and 215 pounds, and is very well rounded. A good all around back who knows the system, Smith also looked very good at the Senior Bowl. I also like Kenneth Darby at this pick, who is the same kind of player. Tough and determined but not huge.

Round 4: Kyle Young, C Fresno State...6'5/ 330
Reason: A huge player for a center at 6'5 330, Young has some potential. He has a high football IQ and obviously excellent size, matched with a hard work ethic, experience and versatility. I like this kid a lot, and could step in as a starter in year 2.

Round 5: Zach Diles, OLB Kansas State...6'0/ 240
Reason: A reach, Diles will go higher than skill may indicate because he is a possible SLB in a LB group dominated by weakside linebackers. Even though he only had 2 years of D1 experience, in his senior year he was very productive. He runs a 4.6-4.7 and that's pretty good for a man of his demensions. As stated previously I am concerned about depth at SAM and LB are usually good ST players anyways.

Round 6: Uche Nwaneri, OG Purdue...6'3/ 300
Reason: Basically a flier, I like his size. Don't know much about any of the late lineman, but Purdue has a very successful offense and I like his size.

UDFA:
Chad Nkang, OLB Elon...6'1/ 220
Reason: An amazing athlete from an obviously small school, Nkang runs in the 4.5-4.6 range and was very productive at Elon. He registered 414 tackles, 9 sacks, and 2 interceptions in 3 years starting. He needs to bulk up but sounds like an excellent special teams player and possible draftee.

Dante Rosario, H-Back Oregon...6'4/ 250
Reason: It's no secret that Petrino employs a H-Back, and although Fells played that role in college, he needs some competition. Rosario played TE and FB during his time at Oregon, and has excellent size and tallied up 42 receptions in his final year, making it 94 for his career. Worth a look.

iloxygenil
02-22-2007, 12:24 PM
Round 1 needs to be Levi and I'd really enjoy that draft, it'd be amazing.

Shiver
02-22-2007, 03:49 PM
Right now, I just want to see who we add in Free Agency, to narrow down our needs by the Draft. Right now, I have no idea what I want. :lol:

A few quick hits;

The Raiders let Aaron Brooks go. I would love to acquire their 33rd overall pick for Matt Schaub.

It's time to say goodbye to Justin Griffith, Patrick Kerney, good times.

That would be awesome, to have the 10th, 33rd, 44th picks. Then add in another 3rd round pick, as well as three fourth round picks. :shock:

Shiver
02-22-2007, 05:18 PM
Falcons signed QB James Kilian, formerly of the Nashville Kats.

It's possible Atlanta is adding quarterbacks to brace itself for a Matt Schaub trade, but more probable that Kilian was added as a "camp body."

Could it be?

DraftMichaelHuff
02-22-2007, 06:18 PM
Could it be?
I hope so, it's pretty obivious that the smart thing to do get something for him while we can. Imagine if we traded him for pick #33.

IF so here would be my options

F/A signings
OG Derrick Dockery- 6'6- 335- Washington.
QB Aaron Brooks Oakland
WR/KR Bobby Wade Titans - Broke out last year and would be solid as a KR and number 3 option for us

Draft 1st day Option 1
#10 Adam Carriker/Jamaal Anderson LDE- both would be the power end and with a quicker than expected 40 time from Carriker would not be a reach at 10

#33 Joe Staley LT - Couples with Dockery on the left side. Would be ideal for Petrino's scheme as we would have a massive interior guy with a quicker yet still very stong outside guy in Staley

#44 Brendan Merriweather FS/CB - He works out for the coaches at both FS and CB and allowes the coaches options with both he and Jimmy Williams. I like Merriweather better personally but i wouldnt be surprised if Weddle is gone by this pick anyway as he seems the guy a team like the patriots would fall in love with and take in the first

#76 Aaron Rouse SS- Atlanta has two long term safeties :shock: hopefully we will never have to mention the safety position in the offseason for years after this. Rouse has the tools to be the best in the league he just needs a great vet to learn from for a year (Lawyer Milloy)

Day 2
rd 4 - Walter Thomas DT - NW Mississippi CC - frm draftdaddy.com. He drew reactions ranging from gasps to smiles to a simple shake of the head in disbelief. Thomas is 6'4" 370. He's got some baby fat, but he's a legit 335 without it, and that's without the benefit of a formal weight training regimen - just natural size. His upper body weighs more than I do, and I love fried food. His body screamed NFL.

rd 5 Tyrone Moss RB Miami - "hands off' is a perfect compliment to Jerious Norwood
rd 6 Jon Talley CB Duke - long term nikel solution

*** Day 1 Option 2
#10 Levi Brown OT
#33 Brendan Merriweather FS/CB
#44 Ikaika Alama-Francis DE

***Day 1 Option 3
#10 Reggie Nelson FS
#33 Joe Staley OT

smittyjs
02-22-2007, 06:58 PM
Could it be?
I hope so, it's pretty obivious that the smart thing to do get something for him while we can. Imagine if we traded him for pick #33.

IF so here would be my options

F/A signings
OG Derrick Dockery- 6'6- 335- Washington.
QB Aaron Brooks Oakland
WR/KR Bobby Wade Titans - Broke out last year and would be solid as a KR and number 3 option for us

Draft 1st day Option 1
#10 Adam Carriker/Jamaal Anderson LDE- both would be the power end and with a quicker than expected 40 time from Carriker would not be a reach at 10

#33 Joe Staley LT - Couples with Dockery on the left side. Would be ideal for Petrino's scheme as we would have a massive interior guy with a quicker yet still very stong outside guy in Staley

#44 Brendan Merriweather FS/CB - He works out for the coaches at both FS and CB and allowes the coaches options with both he and Jimmy Williams. I like Merriweather better personally but i wouldnt be surprised if Weddle is gone by this pick anyway as he seems the guy a team like the patriots would fall in love with and take in the first

#76 Aaron Rouse SS- Atlanta has two long term safeties :shock: hopefully we will never have to mention the safety position in the offseason for years after this. Rouse has the tools to be the best in the league he just needs a great vet to learn from for a year (Lawyer Milloy)

Day 2
rd 4 - Walter Thomas DT - NW Mississippi CC - frm draftdaddy.com. He drew reactions ranging from gasps to smiles to a simple shake of the head in disbelief. Thomas is 6'4" 370. He's got some baby fat, but he's a legit 335 without it, and that's without the benefit of a formal weight training regimen - just natural size. His upper body weighs more than I do, and I love fried food. His body screamed NFL.

rd 5 Tyrone Moss RB Miami - "hands off' is a perfect compliment to Jerious Norwood
rd 6 Jon Talley CB Duke - long term nikel solution

*** Day 1 Option 2
#10 Levi Brown OT
#33 Brendan Merriweather FS/CB

***Day 1 Option 3
#10 Reggie Nelson FS
#33 Joe Staley OT
#44 Ikaika Alama-Francis DE i really don't see Wade leaving us. So if the Falcons take Levi brown in round one how would ya'll feel about it?

DraftMichaelHuff
02-22-2007, 07:21 PM
It'd be ok i guess, he is probably not the ideal OLineman to be spending the number 10 pick on and i think he is benifiting from the lack of top quality OT's in the draft this year.

I dunno, if your gonna take an OT in the top 10 you want to be sure he will be there in 10 years time and im not with Brown, but i HATE Gandy at LT. I wont mind if we take him but i dont see the difference in terms of gaurenteed succes between him and guys we coudl grab in early round two such as Joe Staley, who, is slightly taller than Brown and has added 50 lbs of muscle over the past 2 years could quite easily add 15lbs and move up to Levi's weight while being faster and stronger with a better technique and better feet.

For me id say Carriker running a 4.75 - 4.8 at the combine would put him as my clear cut favourite at number 10

RaiderNation
02-22-2007, 07:35 PM
Falcons signed QB James Kilian, formerly of the Nashville Kats.

It's possible Atlanta is adding quarterbacks to brace itself for a Matt Schaub trade, but more probable that Kilian was added as a "camp body."

Could it be?

hopefully for us lol

DraftMichaelHuff
02-22-2007, 09:05 PM
just correcting my earlier guesstimate about Staleys additional weight he was actually a 220lb freshman TE he is now 306 lbs thats 86 lbs.

His height 6057 is rounded up to 6"6 after the combine measurements meaning is he almost an .3 of an inch taller than brown and only 15lbs lighter. After already adding 86 lbs i see no reason why he cant add another 15lb in the pro's with a proper weights regime while being far more agile and consistant than brown not to mention lower in the draft and hopefully our newly aquired #33 pick.

Also Staley is predicted to be faster and have better feet than Joe Tomas and only an .7 of an inch shorter and 5 lbs lighter than Tomas who measured far shorted than the 6"8-6"9 predicted

now can anyone guess who is now my favourite O Line canditate once again?? :D

hopefully for us lol
So would you think #33 for Shaub is a fair trade. Id perhaps like to squeeze a late round pick out as well or maybe a # 4 WR or CB but thats just mean dreaming i expect

kiprebop
02-22-2007, 10:27 PM
I must be missing something. If Joe Staley looks to be on the board in round two, why do you people not want Landry or Nelson in round 1? I understand that safety is a deep position in this draft, but I foresee a lot of value at DE later on, also. I would want a premium playmaker in the secondary. I know we're all high on Jimmy Williams, and I love his size, strength and quickness. But, if his college numbers are any indication, he's not much of a ballhawk. But I don't know that they'll be many free agent ends available, since everyone but Kerney's been getting tagged, though. I like Carricker if we had to take an end in round one, just because I'd like a guy with some a** on him and a little muscle. I wish we weren't so light in butt up front.
I also think linebacker is more of a need than people let on. I seem to be the only who isn't singing Boley's praises, I don't know what happened to the player Ed Hartwell was, and Brooking always seems to be chasing plays down from behind.

Feedback?

DraftMichaelHuff
02-22-2007, 11:21 PM
I have no problem with Nelson in round 1, The only reason im warming to Carriker or a falling Jamaal Anderson instead is that there are no DE's in the later rounds with he or Jamaal Andersons size, health, motor and production. As i outlined above i dont mind the DE from Hawaii but he has health problems and will probably take a few years to develop, the other guys who i like such as Charles Johnson are being tabbed as mid 1st round picks now, so, while this is a deep DE class the depth seems to be in the mid to low 1st round not the 2nd unless you after tweener guys like Spencer and Moses who we already have with Abe.

Reggie Nelson is one of my favourite players in the draft but when you look at it you have a guy like Merriweather or even but probably to a lesser extent Weddle that has done and will continue to do similiar things Reggie Nelson has due to their similiar skills sets yet are around in rd2. Weddle and Merriweather also have perhaps a bit more compadibility to perhaps playing CB than nelson (slightly) which makes Jimmy Williams' future position have less of an impact on who we draft.

As for Landry im deffinatly not as big on him as others for the falcons pick, he seems a bit more suited to SS in the pros especially in a team like ours. His brother is a FS and played well this year but the SS on his team is Ed Reed who has far greater range than Laywer Milloy who is up there in years and never was SUPER in coverage

Honeslty as long as we have a DE OT and FS at the end of the 1st day, provided OG is done in the F/A i dont really care, however you always want to maxamise the value in the players you select, and not grab a player early when you can geta similiar guy later

iloxygenil
02-22-2007, 11:30 PM
For some reason I think we're all going to be shocked how we go in the draft. I think we'll get at least 1 OL, unless we gnab a FA, but I think we'll prolly end up with a WR and RB too...

DraftMichaelHuff
02-22-2007, 11:36 PM
For some reason I think we're all going to be shocked how we go in the draft. I think we'll get at least 1 OL, unless we gnab a FA, but I think we'll prolly end up with a WR and RB too...
Deffinatly, it happens every year but i guess it only worthwhile speculating aboout what we see as the most logical choices.

Shiver
02-22-2007, 11:53 PM
hopefully for us lol
So would you think #33 for Shaub is a fair trade. Id perhaps like to squeeze a late round pick out as well or maybe a # 4 WR or CB but thats just mean dreaming i expect

If anything, that is a win for our front office. Schaub isn't a first round value, if he was, he would have been taken last year by the Vikings.

As for Levi Brown; I would love to have him. If he is there. Which, at this point, I have my doubts. Miami's only option at Left Tackle is moving back LJ Shelton.

YIKES :shock:

Shiver
02-23-2007, 02:46 AM
During his NFL Combine interview, Notre Dame OT Ryan Harris said the Atlanta Falcons spoke with him at the Senior Bowl.

During his NFL Combine interview, Auburn OG Ben Grubbs said he talked with the Atlanta Falcons.

D-Rod
02-23-2007, 08:01 AM
During his NFL Combine interview, Notre Dame OT Ryan Harris said the Atlanta Falcons spoke with him at the Senior Bowl.

During his NFL Combine interview, Auburn OG Ben Grubbs said he talked with the Atlanta Falcons.

I'm thinking that we deal with our top 3 needs thus:

FS: Free Agency
DE: #10 pick
O-line: #44 pick (and possbily Schaub comp also).

There are no DEs or OTs in FA, so that is the sensible way to play it.

In other good(ish) news, TB lost the coin toss. Idiots called heads.

D-Rod
02-23-2007, 10:17 AM
Joe Staley's injured, won't run. Could that push him down to our 2nd rounder?

If Gandy could just hold up for one more year (or even the first half of the year, like last year!) then that would be IDEAL.

Anderson/Carricker in the 1st, Staley in the 2nd, Bush in the 3rd (according to toonster he could fall even further...).

Thank you very much.

Edit: another quick thought: if we do get another 4th rounder in compensation, I'd expect us to use our 4th, with our 2nd rounder, to move up a short way for someone (eg. Staley) just like we did for JW. Our 4th and 2nd would give us #36, according to the value chart, which would be the Browns 2nd pick. Would put us ahead of the Cards, who should want an OT there if they don't get Thomas... wow, that makes a lot of sense. I'm rather pleased with myself..! I think I'm going to put that in my next mock, coming soon.

Shiver
02-23-2007, 01:31 PM
Justin Blaylock benched forty times... :shock:

iloxygenil
02-23-2007, 01:37 PM
Justin Blaylock benched forty times... :shock:
What? Where did you get this? I wanna see numbers

Shiver
02-23-2007, 01:41 PM
It was on NFL Network.

iloxygenil
02-23-2007, 01:45 PM
Bah...there needs to be a good website so we can see stuff like that. He repped 225 FORTY times? I mean that's IMPRESSIVE. He's no Brodrick Bunkley, but dang. Makes me want him a little bit more, he's a mauler.

Shiver
02-23-2007, 02:11 PM
Levi Brown is five pounds lighter than he was listed at Penn State, he also put up 31 reps.

Shiver
02-23-2007, 02:41 PM
Bobby Petrino is interviewing with Adam Schefter. If anyone doesn't have NFL Network, I will recap.

ADDED

Excited to get started with Michael Vick. He said he an make every single throw they would want him to make. He mentioned that they need to make sure the whole offense, as a unit, were on the same page.

While there are some needs, he inherited a talented core.

Praised Amobi Okoye, as well as Michael Bush.

Overall it was a tad short. I wonder, if we will get either, or both, of his Louisville guys. If so, their learning curve would be very easy. The team is in need of a more powerful runner, as well as young DT depth.

Shiver
02-23-2007, 03:42 PM
He will be on later tonight, as well.

As for Levi Brown, I have resigned myself to the fact that he won't be there at #10. At best he goes to Arizona, at worst Miami. Both teams have a desperate need for a Left Tackle, both have premier O-Line coaches, who can fix Brown's technical flaws.

iloxygenil
02-23-2007, 03:45 PM
Well...31 isn't bad, but it's no 40 like Blaylock. He's a baller I really want him in here. I think he may have literally pushed his way into the first round again.

iloxygenil
02-23-2007, 03:46 PM
As far as letting him go goes, that's fine by me, if he's gone by 10, that's amazing, cause that just means 1 more person is going to fall in our laps.

Shiver
02-23-2007, 03:57 PM
I want DE, OL, being the first two picks. In whatever order. I am hoping that we get Jamaal Anderson and Joe Staley, but that's a tad optimistic.

iloxygenil
02-23-2007, 04:03 PM
I'd say that's very optimistic really. But, I dunno. I think that Chris Henry from Arizona is on my radar now as my favorite late round (6th - UDRFA) to be picked up as our power back.

There are also a few good TEs that'd I'd like to pickup. As mid - late round guys, I want someone else who can be a threat, other than Alge.

iloxygenil
02-23-2007, 04:10 PM
I am going to make a new mock...for the Falcons.

Shiver
02-23-2007, 04:13 PM
I think Michael Bush is definitely going to be an Atlanta Falcon. I would love to have this day-1;

1. Jamaal Anderson
2. Joe Staley
3. Michael Bush

D-Rod
02-23-2007, 04:16 PM
I think Michael Bush is definitely going to be an Atlanta Falcon. I would love to have this day-1;

1. Jamaal Anderson
2. Joe Staley
3. Michael Bush

And that's my mock right there... as I said, I think we'll need to trade up a little to grab Staley (using a 4th), but the fact that he's not working out will help us.

As for Bush, apparently he may not run properly before the draft. He could even be there in the 4th, when I'm sure Petrino would insist on gambling on him.

iloxygenil
02-23-2007, 04:40 PM
Players to watch by position:

Defensive Ends:
Round 1: Jamaal Anderson – DE – Arkansas
Round 2: Ikaika Alma-Francis – DE – Hawaii
Round 3: Dan Bazuin – DE – Central Michigan
Round 4: Baraka Atkins – DE – Miami (FL)
Round 5: Noland Burchette – DE – Virginia Tech
Round 6: Mkristo Bruce – DE – Washington State

Defensive Tackle:
Round 1: Alan Branch – DT – Michigan / Amobi Okoye – DT – Louisville
Round 2: Justin Harrell – DT – Tennessee * (may go round 1, will be dominant)
Round 3: Brandon Mebane – DT – California
Round 4: Paul Soliai – DT – Utah
Round 5: Kareem Brown – DT – Miami (FL)
Round 6: David Patterson – DT – OSU * (underrated will make an impact)
Round 7: Joe Anoai – DT – GA Tech * (MAJORLY underrated will be a beast)

Free Safety:
Round 1: Reggie Nelson – FS – Florida (people will argue LaRon Landry, but it’s false)
Round 2: Michael Griffin – FS – Texas (should go round 1 and would be incredible for ATL)
Round 3: Eric Weddle – FS – Utah (will only fall because of measureables, is an incredible football player)
Round 4: no stand out imo
Round 5: John Wendling (could go round 4, but has massive potential)
UDRFA: Roderick Rogers (will not be drafted because of his knee injury, but if we can land him in UDRFA it’d be a huge boost, once he comes back healthy

Running Back:
Round 1: Adrian Peterson – RB – Oklahoma (no question this guy is #1)
Round 2: Michael Bush – RB – Louisville (injury may force him to round 3, but our coach knows what he can do)
Round 3: Antonio Pittman – RB – OSU
Round 4: Dwayne Wright – RB – Fresno St.
Round 5: Kolby Smith – RB – Louisville (our coach also knows what he can do, and I think he’s prolly the better value of the 2 RBs)
Round 6: Nate Ilaoa – RB – Hawaii (AMAZING power back option, will be incredible as a goal line / short yardage back)
Round 7: Chris Henry – RB – Arizona

Wide Reciever:
Round 1: Calvin Johnson – WR – Georgia Tech (only guy worth a round 1 pick)
Round 2: Anthony Gonzalez – WR – OSU (better of the 2 OSU WRs, and he’s amazingly underrated)
Round 3: Johnnie Lee Higgins – WR – UTEP (my pick as a steal from day 1 this season, if he’s there in round 3, he’s this year’s Jerious Norwood for us)
Round 4: Courtney Taylor – WR – Auburn (he’s going to be a solid compliment somewhere, would be nice to have a WR who likes to block)
Round 5: David Ball – WR – New Hampshire (top production, not measureables, he will sip farther than he should)
Round 6: Aaron Fairooz – WR – Central Arkansas (ideal size)
Round 7: Chris Davis – WR – FSU (fantastic WR really underrated, and will make someone very happy as a return man 3rd or 4th WR)

As far as other positions go, I don't wanna fill one out right now lol. But those guys are at positions that I feel like we need, and any of them in their given round would be pretty incredible values imo.

DraftMichaelHuff
02-23-2007, 04:47 PM
Can you add
Adam Carricker DE rd 1 (with a good 40 time)
Tyrone Moss to HB rd 5
Brendan Merriweather to FS rd 2
and the 370lb DT Walter Tomas from Northern Miss CC in rd 6.

i really like how you dont have Landry who i think would need to have a SS with great range like his brother does (Ed Reed) in order to not be another SS playing FS like Chris Crocker. We really need a FS/CB like Nelson Merriweather Weddle there for coverage and also to perhaps move to CB with the Jimmy Williams flip flopping.

I also love the two Hawaii guys you have on there

Shiver
02-23-2007, 04:50 PM
Excellent write-up from CBS

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10009898

Patrick Kerney, DE, Atlanta

Kerney is expected to void the final two years of his contract, making him a free agent if he doesn't re-sign with Atlanta. So far, he hasn't, and if Kerney hits the market he will be in demand. One reason is that he's a good player at a critical position. The question potential suitors must ask themselves is: Can he be a great player? He's coming off a pectoral injury that shortened his 2006 season. And he will be 31 in December. That's not a good combination.

When he's right, Kerney is one of the top pass rushers in the business, but do you really want to invest mega-millions in a 30-year-old coming off a serious injury? The Falcons don't, and they're interested in re-signing Kerney -- but only at the right price.

Kerney scares off some suitors who worry about him breaking down despite a string of 105 straight games that was broken last season. Kerney is a high-effort, play-hard kind of guy, but as one scout said, "Do you really want to pay for a motor? I always worry about the guys I think are a little underweight."

With Dwight Freeney and Justin Smith off the market, Kerney is at or near the top of the class of defensive ends. But buyers beware. "When I look at Patrick Kerney," said one scout, "I see a terrific athlete who wears down as the season goes on and who defenders start to handle. He's had some productivity, but I'd think twice before paying him a lot of money." Apparently, so would Atlanta.

I agree wholeheartedly with this assessment. He is a liability against the run, as the season goes along. He is thirty, coming off of an injury. I will not shed any tears when he goes out trying to get (over-) payed. He wants 8$ Million per season!

iloxygenil
02-23-2007, 08:28 PM
Can you add
Adam Carricker DE rd 1 (with a good 40 time)
Tyrone Moss to HB rd 5
Brendan Merriweather to FS rd 2
and the 370lb DT Walter Tomas from Northern Miss CC in rd 6.

i really like how you dont have Landry who i think would need to have a SS with great range like his brother does (Ed Reed) in order to not be another SS playing FS like Chris Crocker. We really need a FS/CB like Nelson Merriweather Weddle there for coverage and also to perhaps move to CB with the Jimmy Williams flip flopping.

I also love the two Hawaii guys you have on there

I like Tyrone, I just didn't put him up there, I know nothing about Walter Tomas, Merriweather won't pass the Falcon Filter and with his 40 time will go into round 1, then as far as Adam Carriker goes, I'm not a fan, I am not at all sold on him at #10. He's not the 10th best player in the draft, I have him around 20th best, and we don't need to reach.

Shiver
02-23-2007, 08:32 PM
What I like about Carriker is his versatility. He would be a dominant power LE, who could kick inside on passing downs.

kiprebop
02-23-2007, 08:42 PM
I think most would agree that expecting a 1st rounder for Schaub more or less epitomizes optimism. But I wonder if a mid second round pick is feasible? If so, I salivate about the idea of getting the best bullrushing end availble in round one and still managing to address OT and FS in round 2. Then spending a third round pick on the best runningback on the board at that time.
How do guys like the CB value on the board in round 2, if the new regime gets frisky and plays Jimmy Williams at safety? I really liked some of the open field tackles he made toward the end of last year, and his speed would be obscene for the position. Play Crocker at SS on passing downs and Milloy on downs 1 and 2.
I like the idea which keeps surfacing in this conversation about addressing LG in free agency and Derrick Dockery in specific. I just want to add that I'd like to see a new face or two at linebacker. Obviously Adalius Thomas is a 3-4 guy, but what does free agency have to offer in the way of traditional 4-3 'backers?

Shiver
02-23-2007, 08:45 PM
I'd say that's very optimistic really. But, I dunno. I think that Chris Henry from Arizona is on my radar now as my favorite late round (6th - UDRFA) to be picked up as our power back.

There are also a few good TEs that'd I'd like to pickup. As mid - late round guys, I want someone else who can be a threat, other than Alge.

Supposedly, the team really is enamored with Daniel Fells as an H-Back project.

Shiver
02-23-2007, 08:52 PM
Here is my big-10 board, any of whom I would love to have in order:

1. Calvin Johnson
2. Joe Thomas
3. Levi Brown
4. Adrian Peterson
5. Jamaal Anderson
6. Laron Landry
7. Alan Branch
8. Marshawn Lynch
9. Reggie Nelson
t-10. Charles Johnson / Adam Carriker

The reason I don't have Gaines Adams, is we need a LE. Whereas, Adams is too similar to John Abraham.

iloxygenil
02-23-2007, 09:11 PM
I like it, but I have Gaines up there instead of Marshawn.

Shiver
02-23-2007, 09:11 PM
I love Marshawn Lynch, I won't deny. By the way, I updated it in order.

iloxygenil
02-23-2007, 09:12 PM
I see that now...I'm not up for Carriker either...I just am not sold that he's anything more than a #20 guy.

Shiver
02-23-2007, 09:16 PM
Right now, Defensive End is such a fluid position. Adams, Carriker, Johnson are all relatively close in most people's mind. Mel Kiper, for example, has those three clustered together in the 8-15 range. If Carriker runs as expected, he could soar. Same for Charles Johnson. Either of which would be better fits, for power LE, than Adams would be. That's just my estimation, hence why they both rank higher on my personal board. The player I absolutely do not want is Amobi Okoye. If a Defensive Tackle is added, I would like Alan Branch because he would be a all-pro type 4-3 NT. Okoye would be yet another 3-tech penetrator, of which, the team has plenty.

iloxygenil
02-23-2007, 09:21 PM
That's why I don't like them. I don't want someone who's so fluid, I just think their value is inflated.

Shiver
02-23-2007, 09:51 PM
The difference between being a 12-15 value, to a 8-10 value, at this time in the process isn't that big.

iloxygenil
02-23-2007, 09:51 PM
I think most would agree that expecting a 1st rounder for Schaub more or less epitomizes optimism. But I wonder if a mid second round pick is feasible? If so, I salivate about the idea of getting the best bullrushing end availble in round one and still managing to address OT and FS in round 2. Then spending a third round pick on the best runningback on the board at that time.
How do guys like the CB value on the board in round 2, if the new regime gets frisky and plays Jimmy Williams at safety? I really liked some of the open field tackles he made toward the end of last year, and his speed would be obscene for the position. Play Crocker at SS on passing downs and Milloy on downs 1 and 2.
I like the idea which keeps surfacing in this conversation about addressing LG in free agency and Derrick Dockery in specific. I just want to add that I'd like to see a new face or two at linebacker. Obviously Adalius Thomas is a 3-4 guy, but what does free agency have to offer in the way of traditional 4-3 'backers?
We have 0 need at LB. Sure, we MAY decide we need a MLB if we move Hartwell, we may want to look at a guy like Buster Davis...but we have Brooking and Beck for MLBs...

Shiver
02-23-2007, 09:52 PM
Michael Boley is my favorite Falcon right now. He might be a pro-bowl player next year, if he continues to develop.

iloxygenil
02-23-2007, 09:54 PM
The difference between being a 12-15 value, to a 8-10 value, at this time in the process isn't that big.
I see Johnson as a 2nd round guy. Carriker I see as a 3-4 DE guy. He's not what I want for a LE, but I mean in the end I'm pulling for whoever we pick...unless it's DJ Shockley who I still HATE

iloxygenil
02-23-2007, 09:54 PM
Michael Boley is my favorite Falcon right now. He might be a pro-bowl player next year, if he continues to develop.
I agree...but if we let Hartwell go, we need to find someone who can play in some roles so we can have depth...maybe a guy like Colt Brooks...did he come out this year?

Shiver
02-23-2007, 11:13 PM
I see Johnson as a 2nd round guy.

...unless it's DJ Shockley who I still HATE

Do you like any UGA player? :lol:

Shiver
02-23-2007, 11:15 PM
Here is my big-10 board, any of whom I would love to have in order:

1. Calvin Johnson
2. Joe Thomas
3. Levi Brown
4. Adrian Peterson
5. Jamaal Anderson
6. Laron Landry
7. Alan Branch
8. Marshawn Lynch
9. Reggie Nelson

Bump, I decided to take out the tenth pick, because at least one Quarterback is a lock to go in the top nine picks.

iloxygenil
02-23-2007, 11:15 PM
Right now...no. I like Big Bully, but other than that, no, I don't like many of them, they produce an inferior product for the most part. I want people who translate to the NFL, and I'm not blinded by "SEC rules" because in the NFL, that's not the case. SEC is vastly overrated for the most part, however, this year they produced some pretty sick talent. But UGA is just not that great of a football team, nor are their products. Max Jean was on my radar last year, but then we found out he was nothing more than a fatty, he fell off mine.

Shiver
02-23-2007, 11:21 PM
But UGA is just not that great of a football team, nor are their products.

Odell Thurman
Reggie Brown
Sean Jones
Thomas Davis
Robert Geathers
Ben Watson
Jon Stinchcomb
Randy McMichael
Will Witherspoon
Charles Grant
Marcus Stroud
Richard Seymour
Champ Bailey
Hines Ward
Jason Ferguson

Sorry, but they have a lot of good pro players that came from Georgia.

iloxygenil
02-23-2007, 11:35 PM
Overall, they have a few good players. I'd say Bailey and Stroud, but other than that, I mean look at people like Pollack etc, they have too many busts in the NFL right now, the SEC produces tons of busts, just because they aren't athletic enough. They are getting better, and stronger, and faster, but they aren't up there yet imo.

I'll give you Ward, Bailey, Witherspoon and Stroud. Other than that, nope. They have good role players, but that's not what we need. Big Bully is the only one I'd like to see on our team, but he's not worth a 10th overall pick.

Shiver
02-23-2007, 11:38 PM
Pollack is a bust because he broke his neck? What? Are you forgetting Richard Seymour? I am sorry, but you're crazy man. :lol: All the players I mentioned range from solid starter to great. They have had busts, but every school has a ton of busts. Your Noles for example have Peter Warrick, Jamal Reynolds, Travis Johnson, Andre Wadsworth, Sebastian Janikowski. And they are among the elite in terms of talent produced.

iloxygenil
02-23-2007, 11:46 PM
There is a reason FSU was rated #1 overall in players in the NFL they are rated #1 in producing pro talent. I guess I compare everything to that. I mean FFS look at last year alone. Cromartie, Bunkley, Sims, Wimbley, that's 4 guys in 1 round from the same side of the ball. Look at guys like Leon Washington (who was very underrated) putting it together in the pros. FSU just makes football players that stand out and make it in the NFL.

Look back, FSU produced the best cover corner in the history of the game. This year they are going to have less than normal # of players causing a stir in the league, but they will have a guy who is going to make some serious noise once he gets in the right system. Lorenzo Booker...a supremely talented athlete who got stuck with a slouch of a QB and OL as far as FSU goes, so he was relegated to a WR out of the backfield.

It's next year that you're going to have to watch for FSU, Decody Fagg and Greg Carr...amazing WRs, they will shake the league up no doubt. UGA players don't excite me very often. They have a couple big time guys, but they also have a lot of busts. People like DJ Shockley...UGH...gah I hate that he is a Falcon.

iloxygenil
02-23-2007, 11:48 PM
Pollack is a bust because he broke his neck? What? Are you forgetting Richard Seymour? I am sorry, but you're crazy man. :lol: All the players I mentioned range from solid starter to great. They have had busts, but every school has a ton of busts, even your Noles.
Name a few busts from FSU...there just aren't many...most of the time they are underrated to be perfectly honest, at least by Draftniks world wide. Pollack is a bust because he never produced, yes, it sucks that he got injured, but even when he could produce, he didn't. Richard Seymour is REALLY old now, and isn't that great. He was fantastic in New England, but really benefitted from having a genius for a coach.

Shiver
02-23-2007, 11:54 PM
Pollack is a bust because he broke his neck? What? Are you forgetting Richard Seymour? I am sorry, but you're crazy man. :lol: All the players I mentioned range from solid starter to great. They have had busts, but every school has a ton of busts, even your Noles.
Name a few busts from FSU...there just aren't many...most of the time they are underrated to be perfectly honest, at least by Draftniks world wide. Pollack is a bust because he never produced, yes, it sucks that he got injured, but even when he could produce, he didn't. Richard Seymour is REALLY old now, and isn't that great. He was fantastic in New England, but really benefitted from having a genius for a coach.

Peter Warrick, Andre Wadsworth, Jamal Reynolds are all horrific busts. Meanwhile, Alex Barron and Travis Johnson are on their way to become that as well. Even though FSU is laden with talent, and along with The U have produced the most NFL ready talent, every school churns out busts, it happens.

Richard Seymour is old? He is only 27. :lol: He has gone to five pro bowls in six seasons.

DJ Shockley is a 7th round, rookie bust?

You are reaching, really bad.

lsantaoe
02-24-2007, 03:07 AM
What? Seymour isn't old at all. And the players he mentioned all have done pretty well in the league. FSU has had busts too.

lsantaoe
02-24-2007, 03:10 AM

Peter Warrick, Andre Wadsworth, Jamal Reynolds are all horrific busts. Meanwhile, Alex Barron and Travis Johnson are on their way to become that as well. Even though FSU is laden with talent, and along with The U have produced the most NFL ready talent, every school churns out busts, it happens.

Richard Seymour is old? He is only 27. :lol: He has gone to five pro bowls in six seasons.

DJ Shockley is a 7th round, rookie bust?

You are reaching, really bad.

I'd say Travis Johnson is on his way to being a bust, but not Barron. He just isn't elite, but he is a pretty good right tackle. His concentration kills him though, like Roddy.

Shiver
02-24-2007, 03:11 AM
Alex Barron was the O-Lineman who was called out by Marc Bulger. He was a penalty and sack machine last year, and apparently didn't have the drive like Marc would have preferred..

ATLDirtyBirds
02-24-2007, 06:40 AM

Yes. That is exactly how I feel. I also am a big fan of Marshawn Lynch. I'm not positive if he warrants the 10 pick atm, but if he can boost his stock, I'd love to have him.

iloxygenil
02-24-2007, 09:29 AM
Alex Barron is better than anyone on our OL. He's a straight up baller. Anyway, yes he struggled at times last year, and Travis Johnson, I never really pushed for him too much, I never thought he deserved to go that high. So, *shrug* that's one instance when it didn't happen. Warrick got stuck in Cincinatti, and still is a fair receiver, but yeah, I'd say it's fair to say he was a bust. Anyway, Seymour isn't elite imo, he's just fair, he benefitted from his coaching, which I mean you can't blame him for that, but I don't think he'll be going to any more pro bowls.

iloxygenil
02-24-2007, 09:31 AM
I really wish there was a good place to get some pictures. I don't mind cutting, I'm not great at it, but I can do it, sportsline sucks to me, they don't keep anything on the Falcons =/

D-Rod
02-24-2007, 09:46 AM
Alex Barron is better than anyone on our OL. He's a straight up baller. Anyway, yes he struggled at times last year, and Travis Johnson, I never really pushed for him too much, I never thought he deserved to go that high. So, *shrug* that's one instance when it didn't happen. Warrick got stuck in Cincinatti, and still is a fair receiver, but yeah, I'd say it's fair to say he was a bust. Anyway, Seymour isn't elite imo, he's just fair, he benefitted from his coaching, which I mean you can't blame him for that, but I don't think he'll be going to any more pro bowls.

i don't really get into the fsu-georgia disputes, but seymour is elite, simple as that. he dominates at end, he dominates at tackle. he even dominates at FB. the Pats aren't the same team without him. yes, he's been well coached, but also he's a heck of an athlete and a real leader.

also disagree with you on both carricker and CJ - they're top 10 potential, justifiably if they run well this weekend. on carricker, for instance, i think toonster has him in his top 5 or 6 in his latest mock. that's just one guy's opinion, but he's often close to the mark.

D-Rod
02-24-2007, 09:47 AM

i don't really get into the fsu-georgia disputes, but seymour is elite, simple as that. he dominates at end, he dominates at tackle. he even dominates at FB. the Pats aren't the same team without him. yes, he's been well coached, but also he's a heck of an athlete and a real leader.

also disagree with you on both carricker and CJ - they're top 10 potential, justifiably if they run well this weekend. on carricker, for instance, i think toonster has him in his top 5 or 6 in his latest mock. that's just one guy's opinion, but he's often close to the mark.

Dave
02-24-2007, 09:51 AM

Carricker has a huge chance to move up in the draft if he can show that he is just as fast as Anderson but plus fourty pounds.

iloxygenil
02-24-2007, 09:59 AM
I dunno...I just don't like to change what I think much after the combine, some rise some fall, but man, it's all about playing football more than the #s...I want talented football players, I don't care if they blazed a 40 time, look at a guy like Amhad Carrol...he's got blazing speed, got picked in the first round, but he sucks...

lsantaoe
02-24-2007, 12:56 PM
I don't even want to argue on Seymour. He is elite.

And Levi ran a 5.4, which should drop him.

Shiver
02-24-2007, 01:45 PM
Levi Brown just killed his value. :lol:

Shiver
02-24-2007, 03:28 PM
Falcons Inside Slant:

The Falcons haven't lost a big-name free agent over the past few seasons.

That is about to change.

Defensive end Patrick Kerney said that his days in Atlanta are probably done as he voided the final two years of his contract prior to the start of free agency. Though the Falcons and Kerney could continue to negotiate, it is unlikely Atlanta will be able to afford one of the top defensive ends on the open market.

The Falcons will have roughly $10 million to spend once the new football calendar begins in March. However, Kerney could command a huge salary in the open market in large part because of timing.

Over the past week, Dwight Freeney, Charles Grant and Justin Smith were designated franchise players by their respective teams, taking them off the market. Kerney, meanwhile, could not be franchised because teams can't place the franchise tag on players without expiring contracts, which is why Kerney waited until after the deadline for teams to apply the franchise tag to opt out.

Though Kerney is a left end, not the coveted right, pass-rush end, his value should not be greatly affected.

While this is a blow to the Falcons, Atlanta planned on starting the process of getting younger on the defensive line, where the only starter under 30 is right end John Abraham.

Kerney, 30, also is coming off a season-ending injury (torn pectoral). Though Kerney was one of the NFL's iron men in terms of durability, he was starting to accumulate nagging injuries before he suffered the chest injury last season, fostering concerns about his durability and longevity.

Third-year player Chauncey Davis replaced Kerney last season but the Falcons would try to find more of a playmaker at that position, most likely in the draft.

--Backup defensive tackle Jonathan Babineaux, a 2005 second-round pick from Iowa, was charged with felony animal abuse for allegedly killing his girlfriend's pit bull. Babineaux said he had nothing to do with the dog's death. However, Gwinnett County police charged him in the case because evidence allegedly showed otherwise.

The police report stated that Babineaux, 6-2, 286, killed the dog -- his live-in girlfriend's dog -- after the couple had an argument and she left for the movies. Babineaux's agent and attorney have withheld comment for the most part, though each has suggested that Babineaux will be cleared of any wrongdoing upon further investigation.

--"It doesn't look like it," DE Patrick Kerney said about coming to terms with the Falcons. "I've only got about five more years to play and I've got to make the most out of it. As great as it would have been to finish my career with Atlanta, where everybody, especially the fans, have been great to me in my eight years there, the business side is there."

QUOTE TO NOTE
"Unfortunately, there is the business side of things. I always said since I was a rookie, if Joe Montana didn't finish his career with the San Francisco 49ers, there's no guarantee I'll finish my career with the Atlanta Falcons." -- Kerney on his probable departure from Atlanta.

TEAM NEEDS/OFF-SEASON STRATEGY

With possibly nine picks heading into the draft, including the 10th overall selection, the Falcons hope to upgrade their secondary, offensive line, wide receivers and running back, where a different type of fullback/H-back will be employed.

Atlanta will try to address most of its needs in the draft. It has roughly $10 million to spend in free agency so it won't go after a big-name free agent, but will try to find productive bargain-type players.

The Falcons will try to re-sign free agent defensive end Patrick Kerney. The productive and highly respected leader will draw a lot of attention on the open market. Atlanta has been pro-active in trying to keep him from even exploring from playing elsewhere, but good defensive ends are commodities and the Falcons might have to pony up.

With the attention aimed at Kerney, Atlanta might not re-sign free agent fullback Justin Griffith, a highly versatile player who is better suited for running and catching passes than he is to be a lead blocker.

1. Safety: Veteran Lawyer Milloy is set at strong safety, but the Falcons' top priority likely will be free safety, where they were repeatedly burned in the deep middle. Chris Crocker was solid in run support but he never seemed to grasp deep coverage. Atlanta likely will use its 10th overall pick to address the need.

2. Wide receiver: Arguably the least threatening unit in the NFL. Ashley Lelie's return is uncertain. Brian Finneran's return from knee surgery will help, but it is uncertain how the tall possession receivers fits Bobby Petrino's scheme. Michael Jenkins continues to develop, but he might not ever gain enough respect to be double-teamed. Roddy White is incredibly talented but inconsistent.

3. Offensive line: New Coach Bobby Petrino wants to beef up the sleek, zone-blocking personnel. Left guard Matt Lehr could be the first player pushed out. Left tackle Wayne Gandy is still decent, but an heir could be acquired in the draft or free agency should the Falcons need more push or opt to cut Gandy because of his nearly $4 million cap charge.

4. Running back: Warrick Dunn and Jerious Norwood are cutback slashers, but Petrino wants a bulldozer. Don't be shocked if Petrino nabs former Louisville stud Michael Bush if he's there in the second round.

5. Linebacker: Middle linebacker Ed Hartwell, a prized free-agent signee from Baltimore two seasons ago, hasn't done anything of note in two years after being sidetracked by injuries. He could be a cap casualty if he doesn't show much in mini-camp. Third-year comer Jordan Beck would be a likely replacement.

MEDICAL WATCH
No updates.

FRANCHISE PLAYER
None

TRANSITION PLAYER
None.

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

--K Morten Andersen was reliable last season. Not a priority, but could be called upon at some point of the season if an injury or problem arises.

--FB Justin Griffith is a very good player with a variety of talents that were under-utilized. Not the prototype for Bobby Petrino's offense. Indications are he will not be brought back.

--DE Patrick Kerney is a high-motored stud who missed most of last season after surgery to repair a torn pectoral. The No. 1 priority to be re-signed.

--WR Ashley Lelie is a speedy starter who might be of interest at the right price. However, Bobby Petrino, who wants to use plenty of three and four-receiver sets, hasn't expressed much insight as to whether Lelie fits into his plans.

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

--QB Matt Schaub is a sought-after player who will likely have a first- and third-round tender tag. A few teams might be willing to part with that type of compensation for this promising player. The Falcons will be listening. They don't want to lose Schaub, but they don't want to let him go for nothing next season.

--OLB Demorrio Williams is a former starter who was relegated to nickel package service part of the season. A highly productive player and other-worldly athlete who is well thought of. The new coaching staff really likes his potential. Atlanta will do what it takes -- within reason - to retain him.

EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS FREE AGENTS

--P/PK Michael Koenen is thought of highly and they won't let him get away.

PLAYERS RE-SIGNED: None.

d34ng3l021
02-24-2007, 05:06 PM
K. So whats new guys? I just came back from Vegas and I felt like "WTF WHAT IS HAPPENING IN THE FOOTBALL WORLD?!"

iloxygenil
02-24-2007, 05:09 PM
Well, basically, me and Shiver have taken over the world.

d34ng3l021
02-24-2007, 05:39 PM
Wow. I see Shiver has a Michael Boley thing going on. I remember that phase. I am still going through it. Here is my wallpaper at the moment: http://img241.imageshack.us/my.php?image=boleywallcopyiy3.jpg

Maybe you could make a sig out of that.

iloxygenil
02-24-2007, 05:43 PM
do you know where that cutout came from? I would love to get that in a PNG or PSD.

d34ng3l021
02-24-2007, 05:47 PM
do you know where that cutout came from? I would love to get that in a PNG or PSD.

nope. I just requested a Boley wallpaper on afmb and mozzie made it for me.

Shiver
02-24-2007, 06:21 PM
According to Adam Schefter, DeAngelo Hall is doing everything in his power to convince the team to trade for Bly. He is imploring Bobby Petrino to make the deal. What do you think? I for one would love it. Dre Bly is a great man-to-man corner. Then the team could move Jimmy Williams to FS.

d34ng3l021
02-24-2007, 06:58 PM
According to Adam Schefter, DeAngelo Hall is doing everything in his power to convince the team to trade for Bly. He is imploring Bobby Petrino to make the deal. What do you think? I for one would love it. Dre Bly is a great man-to-man corner. Then the team could move Jimmy Williams to FS.

How old is Bly? Having 2 corners that can play man to man well is such a luxury.

zCALz
02-24-2007, 07:03 PM
i think he is 29 years old

Shiver
02-24-2007, 07:13 PM

How old is Bly? Having 2 corners that can play man to man well is such a luxury.

29, which means he has about two or three prime years left.

Shiver
02-24-2007, 07:18 PM
Under Petrino, Vick to run less

By D. ORLANDO LEDBETTER
Published on: 02/25/07

Indianapolis — Falcons coach Bobby Petrino has been working on his "State of the Team" address that he'll deliver when he meets the entire team for the first time on March 19 for minicamp.

"It's going to be big," Petrino said Saturday at the NFL Combine. "We have to get everything taught, work on our technique and evaluate all of our players."

Petrino and his staff have digested all of the video from last season and are ready to see the players up close and in person. One of the top priorities is to improve a passing game that ranked 32nd in the league last season. The staff is confident that quarterback Michael Vick, with the proper protection, can develop into a better passer.

"We've spent a lot of time evaluating all of his throws and made a lot of videotape," Petrino said. "So we've looked at all of his three-step throws, his five-step, his deep play action. We really feel like he can make all of the throws you need to make."

Petrino doesn't plan to put the entire onus of improving the passing attack on Vick.

"I've always been adamant about the fact that your passing game is as good as all 11 guys on the field," Petrino said. "You have to do a great job of teaching and working on timing, our protection, our quarterback being at the right spot, our receivers being open at the right time. We have a lot of work ahead of us.

"But I certainly know that Michael can do it. He's energized and motivated about coming in and learning our offense. He's started learning it."

If Petrino has his way, Vick won't be anywhere near 1,000 rushing yards next season.

"It's amazing," he said. "But the thing that I liked when you watched Michael on his runs was that he protected himself. He'd get out of bounds. He did get down at times. He didn't take the hits running."

During the staff's video study, they noticed that Vick was in more danger dropping back to pass. "What concerned me was the hits that he took when he was throwing the ball, in the pocket," Petrino said.

Petrino, a former quarterback, is a stickler for fundamentals.

"He needs to get more consistent with his footwork and set point," he said. "I think certainly you'll see him have a better year throwing the ball this year."

Petrino was happy with the play of running backs Warrick Dunn and Jerious Norwood, but said the Falcons will look for a big running back in the draft.

"[Norwood] showed that he had the ability to go the distance," Petrino said. "I think that's what excites me the most on video is the big plays that he's made and the speed."

After trading T.J. Duckett last season, the Falcons were not effective in short-yardage situations.

"We are going to look at a big running back, someone who can help us in short yardage and really maybe step in and play a lot a year from now," Petrino said.

Penn State's Tony Hunt is considered one of the top big backs in the draft. Also, Michael Bush, who played for Petrino at Louisville, will be on the board when the Falcons pick at No. 10.

"He's really unique because he's a guy that's 250 pounds," Petrino said of Bush. "He can get his pads down and run with power. He caught a lot of passes for us. He played quarterback his senior year [of high school] so he can throw the football. If you're looking for a guy that's a great athlete, that's definitely Michael Bush."

d34ng3l021
02-24-2007, 07:26 PM
Hey J-dub...awesome avatar, but can you make it smaller?

And how much would Bly cost?

And I am starting to like this Petrino hire more and more.

SimonRath
02-24-2007, 07:30 PM
you guys a fan of Bly.. personally i know like nothing about him

iloxygenil
02-24-2007, 07:34 PM
It's sounding more and more like Petrino is the guy who's going to take the gamble on Michael Bush.

Shiver
02-24-2007, 07:34 PM
you guys a fan of Bly.. personally i know like nothing about him

He started on the '99 Rams team, as a rookie. He went to the pro-bowl in '03 and '04. He has been stuck in no man's land in Detroit, playing in a scheme which doesn't suite his skill-set.

Shiver
02-24-2007, 07:35 PM
It's sounding more and more like Petrino is the guy who's going to take the gamble on Michael Bush.

Michael Bush and Jerious Norwood would be a phenomenal 1-2 punch, a perfect blend of speed and power. Bush was also a dominant goal-line back, which is something this team desperately needs.

iloxygenil
02-24-2007, 07:36 PM
As far as Dre Bly goes, I'm 100% for it, I am all for having JW at Free Safety, then Hall and Bly on the corners. It'd be pretty dominant for a defense. Then we could go out and spend a DT or DE in the first round or even WR!

iloxygenil
02-24-2007, 07:38 PM

Michael Bush and Jerious Norwood would be a phenomenal 1-2 punch, a perfect blend of speed and power. Bush was also a dominant goal-line back, which is something this team desperately needs.
I'm all for it, I was saying something about that a long time ago, before Petrino even came here...Everyone seemed to think he kinda tiptoed a bit.

Shiver
02-24-2007, 07:39 PM

I wonder what pick though. 44th? Or take a chance that he will fall to the 3rd?

Shiver
02-24-2007, 07:40 PM
As far as Dre Bly goes, I'm 100% for it, I am all for having JW at Free Safety, then Hall and Bly on the corners. It'd be pretty dominant for a defense. Then we could go out and spend a DT or DE in the first round or even WR!

What's great is Dre Bly will likely only require a 4th round pick. Because it's a known fact that Detroit is trading him, and might even eventually cut him. Last time I checked, we have plenty of 4th round picks. :lol:

zCALz
02-24-2007, 07:47 PM
would you guys do this trade
To Atlanta: 1st round 2nd overal pick and dre bly

To Det: Matt Schaub, 1st round 10 overal,warrick dunn, and a 08 3rd round pick

Shiver
02-24-2007, 07:55 PM
Avatar limits are 100x100, but you could get away with 125x125 give or take. Just change it to something that isn't so overtly large.

scar988
02-24-2007, 08:47 PM
My Offseason. I'm thinking about the defense and a few things stand out:
1) Hartwell doesn't fit the MLB Mold for Zimmer
2) Brooking and Beck do
3) We need to re-sign Demorrio Williams

alright so here we go:

first things first, the trade:

ATL gets:
#2 overall
CB Dre Bly
DET gets:
#10 overall
RB Warrick Dunn
QB Matt Schaub

and now the comp:
we get an extra 3rd for losing Kevin Shaffar, then we get an extra 6th for losing Barry Stokes.

Alright now the cuts:
WR Adam Jennings (not hard to see as he is only really a return man)
TE Eric Beverly
LT Wayne Gandy
LG Matt Lehr
OL Ben Claxton
OC Brian Ferentz
LB Ike Reese
LB Ed Hartwell
CB Jason Webster
CB Allen Rossum
S Omare Lowe
LS Boone Stutz

now the re-signs:
FB/power RB Justin Griffith (Petrino may see him as a viable candidate for power back as well as the FB we know and love)
TE Dwayne Blakely
LB Demorrio Williams (5 year deal like Hartwell's was)
CB Chris Cash (2 years at vet minimum)
LS Gavin Tarquino

Free Agency
RB Musa Smith (3 years)
WR Andre Davis (2 years)
OG Eric Steinbach (4 years - we always have one big signing)
OL Nat Dorsey (2 years)
DB Jordan Babineaux (4 years)
K Lawrence Tynes (5 years)

Draft picks:
1) WR Calvin Johnson (Georgia Tech)
2) DE Quentin Moses (Georgia)
3a) OT Tony Ugoh (Arkansas)
3b) WR Dallas Baker (Florida)
4a) LB KaMichael Hall (Georgia Tech)
4b) LB Tony Taylor (Georgia)
5) QB Chris Leak (Florida)
6a) C Enoka Lucas (Oregon)
6b) CB AJ Davis (NC State)

QB - Michael Vick/Chris Leak/D.J. Shockley
RB - Jerious Norwood/Musa Smith/Justin Griffith
FB/H-back - Justin Griffith/Daniel Fells
WR - Calvin Johnson/Brian Finneran
WR - Michael Jenkins/Dallas Baker
WR - Roddy White/Andre Davis
TE - Alge Crumpler/Dwayne Blakely/Daniel Fells
LT - Tony Ugoh/Nat Dorsey
LG - Eric Steinbach/Tyson Clabo
C - Todd McClure/Enoka Lucas
RG - Kynan Forney/Frank Omiyale
RT - Todd Weiner/Quinn Ojinnaka

LE - Quentin Moses/Paul Carrington
NT - Grady Jackson/Darrell Shropshire/Tommy Jackson
UT - Rod Coleman/Jonathan Babineaux
RE - John Abraham/Chauncey Davis
WLB - Demorrio Williams/KaMichael Hall
MLB - Keith Brooking/Jordan Beck
SLB - Michael Boley/Tony Taylor
LCB - Deangelo Hall/Jordan Babineaux/AJ Davis
RCB - Dre' Bly/Chris Cash
FS - Jimmy Williams/Jordan Babineaux
SS - Lawyer Milloy/Chris Crocker

K - Lawrence Tynes
P - Michael Koenen
KOS - Michael Koenen
KR - Andre Davis/AJ Davis/Jerious Norwood
PR - AJ Davis/Jerious Norwood
LS - Gavin Tarquino

starter
traded for and free agents
draft picks

iloxygenil
02-24-2007, 09:38 PM
If we get Chris Leak I will VOMIT

Shiver
02-24-2007, 09:53 PM
All of your draft picks, until the 6th round, play in the southeast. Coincidence? :wink:

Although that trade seems unlikely. I think that is too far to drop for Detroit. They need an elite LT and DE to become competitive, a drop to ten could cost them a shot at either. Besides, blockbuster trades are hardly common.

I also heard that Justin Griffith will not be resigned.

Other than that, I like it a lot. It's obvious you put a lot of time, thought and effort into it.

iloxygenil
02-24-2007, 10:55 PM
Also, if we get Dallas Baker I will puke...this draft overall would make me want to slit my wrist. I know you put a lot of time into it, but I really would HATE being a Falcon fan on draft day.

Calvin - Amazing
Moses - not bad (great value, but not the LE we need)
Tony Ugoh - great pickup in the 3rd round
Dallas Baker - PITIFUL pick, especially for a day 1 WR.
KaMichael Hall - 4th rounder...really? I have to say I like him, but not that early
Tony Taylor - ANOTHER LB? REALLY?!
Chris Leak - gag me with a spoon ESPECIALLY in the 5th
Enoka Lucas - know nothing about this guy, but is at a position we could use
AJ Davis - again, know nothing about him, but at a position of need.

Dave
02-25-2007, 12:56 AM
So far in the Forum Mock i've selected Levi Brown and Victor Abiamiri. I've also submitted a trade involving Demorrio Williams and our 4th round pick for Green Bay's two fifth's and Colin Cole at DT.

scar988
02-25-2007, 01:05 AM
So far in the Forum Mock i've selected Levi Brown and Victor Abiamiri. I've also submitted a trade involving Demorrio Williams and our 4th round pick for Green Bay's two fifth's and Colin Cole at DT.horrible trade. we have no need for Colin Cole and Demorrio is easily worth at a minimum a 2nd. NEVER EVER do that trade. and Imean try to get it recscinded ASAP

Dave
02-25-2007, 01:08 AM
So far in the Forum Mock i've selected Levi Brown and Victor Abiamiri. I've also submitted a trade involving Demorrio Williams and our 4th round pick for Green Bay's two fifth's and Colin Cole at DT.horrible trade. we have no need for Colin Cole and Demorrio is easily worth at a minimum a 2nd. NEVER EVER do that trade. and Imean try to get it recscinded ASAP

We have a need for Colin Cole because Babineaux is more than likely not going to be playing after all his mishaps, I would prefer him off of the team and playing for the Bengals. Demorrio is worth a 3rd at highest, the only season he's produced is this past one where had 70 ish tackles, that's not much. I think Williams is a great OLB, but he hasn't proven anything so we can't justify that.

d34ng3l021
02-25-2007, 01:20 AM

We have a need for Colin Cole because Babineaux is more than likely not going to be playing after all his mishaps, I would prefer him off of the team and playing for the Bengals. Demorrio is worth a 3rd at highest, the only season he's produced is this past one where had 70 ish tackles, that's not much. I think Williams is a great OLB, but he hasn't proven anything so we can't justify that.

4th is too low. 2nd may be too high. Demorrio is a playmaker, and led the team in tackles last year, and has had 2 TDs in these past 2 seasons. He isnt good against the run, but is a terrific pass defender. A 3rd would be good.

Dave
02-25-2007, 01:23 AM

4th is too low. 2nd may be too high. Demorrio is a playmaker, and led the team in tackles last year, and has had 2 TDs in these past 2 seasons. He isnt good against the run, but is a terrific pass defender. A 3rd would be good.

Incredibly incorrect. Keith Brookings led the team in tackles. He was never built to be a run stopper, Zimmer wanted a speed linebacker. Matter of fact, he's never had a touchdown in his career either.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=6860

Read your stuff please.

d34ng3l021
02-25-2007, 02:07 AM

Incredibly incorrect. Keith Brookings led the team in tackles. He was never built to be a run stopper, Zimmer wanted a speed linebacker. Matter of fact, he's never had a touchdown in his career either.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=6860

Read your stuff please.

First of all, its Keith Brooking. No S.

Second of all, in 2005, Demorrio Williams had 127 total tackles. Keith Brooking had 115.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/12243

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/493115

[Edit. Augh. I meant to say he led the team in tackles 2 years ago, in 2005. Not in this past season]

Thirdly, He returned a blocked FG for a TD against the Saints in 2005, and returned a fumble 54 yards for a TD against the Bucs this year. I dont need a stat page to tell me that.

Shiver
02-25-2007, 02:18 AM
Yeah I am not fond of that trade at all.

Shiver
02-25-2007, 02:35 AM
This may be the last night of our team thread. Hopefully soon, we will move into the Falcons NFLDC sub-forum. 8)

falconsrule
02-25-2007, 05:51 AM
I never understood why so many people have us trading Demorrio Williams....To me he is one of our best LB and maybe even the best....I say we keep Demo and find a way and trade Ed Hartwell....

falconsrule
02-25-2007, 07:49 AM
D.Hall is now lobbying for us to trade for D.Bly...Me personally would love this trade Bly is the perfect corner for Zimmer defense.....The only road block I see that is keeping this trade from going down is Bly contract (4.6 Mill)...Hopefully we can find a way to get Bly then we can finally move JW to FS....

D-Rod
02-25-2007, 08:12 AM
D.Hall is now lobbying for us to trade for D.Bly...Me personally would love this trade Bly is the perfect corner for Zimmer defense.....The only road block I see that is keeping this trade from going down is Bly contract (4.6 Mill)...Hopefully we can find a way to get Bly then we can finally move JW to FS....

If that trade happened, we'd instantly have one of the best secondaries in the league. Maybe even the best. With Hall and Bly manned up, Zimmer could bring some SICK blitzes.

Hall is partly campaigning for Bly because he's a VA boy too.

We would certainly rework his deal after trading for him. Problem is, he may ask for a tonne of money. But frankly, he'd be worth it, as long as it is a deal structured so that he is cuttable after three years, when he is 32, by which time he would certainly be fading.

Sucks that Levi ran a 5.40, though at least that does mean that he might be available at #10. But do we want a LT who is that slow? Reportedly Staley will run sub 4.7. That is .7 of a second faster, and he is only 20 pounds lighter!!

iloxygenil
02-25-2007, 09:18 AM
Bly would be great depending on what we have to get up to get him here.

As far as Demorrio goes, he was leading the team in tackles until he got benched because Hartwell came back. He would have led the team again, and Demorrio is a straight up baller, to give him up for a pitiful DT would make me very unhappy.

The Dre Bly thing though too is, would we move Jimmy to Free Safety then? I like Jimmy pressed up against WRs, but I want a FS who is a cornerback basically, so I dunno...it could work...

D-Rod
02-25-2007, 09:29 AM
Quick skeleton offseason mock.

Kerney and Griffith leave in FA. Lehr is booted out, Webster stays.

Gandy stays for one more year. I don't like it, but there just aren't any other options. (Still hoping that Omiyale looks awesome in OTAs...)

Trade the Broncos 4th rounder for Dre Bly, sign him to a big deal, but with the cash arranged so he becomes cuttable after the third or fourth deal, as he turns 33ish.

Move Jimmy Williams to FS, Chris Crocker to backup SS.

Sign Derrick Dockery at LG.

Draft:

#10: Adam Carricker or Jammal Anderson
#36 (trade up with our 4th rounder to grab): Joe Staley or Tony Ugoh (or even Levi Brown, after that 40 time)
Mid-2nd for Schaub: Justin Harrell
#75: Brandon Jackson (said he spoke to falcons, would be Great combo with Norwood) or Michael Bush (depending on injury recovery)
4th round comp: CJ Gaddis or Michael Coe
5th round: Kyle Young
6th round: Kurt Quarterman

Problem areas resolved:
At LT, Gandy starts for one more year. Not ideal, but not a disaster. He actually played well this year until he faded over the last four games. Staley needs time to get stronger. He may even be able to come in by the time Gandy fades.
At FS, Jimmy Williams comes in and is immense.
At CB, Hall and Bly are the best combo in the league.
At LG, Dockery is an absolute roadgrader.
At DE, Carricker or Anderson start straightaway.
At RB, Jackson and Norwood complement each other perfectly.

Dave
02-25-2007, 09:48 AM
I never understood why so many people have us trading Demorrio Williams....To me he is one of our best LB and maybe even the best....I say we keep Demo and find a way and trade Ed Hartwell....

Demorrio plays OLB not MLB, moving Edgerton anywhere won't suddenly free up space for Williams. The reason no one outside of this thread is high on Demorrio Williams is that he has never had to start at OLB an entire season yet, they don't know if he can take it. I'm not saying the guying sucks, I personally love Demorrio Williams, but i'm going to trade him for a more important spot on our team currently DT. Babineaux is not the answer next to Coleman, and Rod is gonna retire within the next two years like Keith is. We can definitely grab a OLB next year and still be fine. The trade is perfectly reasonable, mainly because I want to see Demorrio Williams suceed instead of rot behind the depth we pose. Did you ever consider that Williams would be playing along side AJ Hawke? That would be beastly.

Dave
02-25-2007, 09:50 AM
I guess i'm also the only person here who doesn't like Bly. I want the Falcons to find someone who can be a permenant fixture for 3-5 years. Bly is obviously not that man, and I don't feel comfortable paying him out the butt to play for a year(possibly two) and then retire. He's not a bad player and in fact does fit the system nicely, but I would much rather have the situation fixxed for years to come.

lsantaoe
02-25-2007, 10:31 AM
Ok, he finally did it. Calvin Johnson is now my guy.

d34ng3l021
02-25-2007, 11:06 AM

Demorrio plays OLB not MLB, moving Edgerton anywhere won't suddenly free up space for Williams. The reason no one outside of this thread is high on Demorrio Williams is that he has never had to start at OLB an entire season yet, they don't know if he can take it. I'm not saying the guying sucks, I personally love Demorrio Williams, but i'm going to trade him for a more important spot on our team currently DT. Babineaux is not the answer next to Coleman, and Rod is gonna retire within the next two years like Keith is. We can definitely grab a OLB next year and still be fine. The trade is perfectly reasonable, mainly because I want to see Demorrio Williams suceed instead of rot behind the depth we pose. Did you ever consider that Williams would be playing along side AJ Hawke? That would be beastly.

Getting rid of Ed would allow us to move Brooking to MLB permanently and have Demorrio play Brooking's spot.

And holy crap. What did he run? I heard a 4.35 and 4.45. Both of which are amazing times.

lsantaoe
02-25-2007, 11:12 AM
4.35 :shock:

d34ng3l021
02-25-2007, 11:20 AM
4.35 :shock:

So thats kind of ridiculous. Um. I heard he might be banned from the draft cause he is too pwnage.

Man wtf. These kinds of things shouldnt be happening.

Shiver
02-25-2007, 12:12 PM
Ok, he finally did it. Calvin Johnson is now my guy.

Yeah, it's too bad 99.9% percentage that he will NOT an Atlanta Falcon. The odds are ASTRONOMICALLY small, that the team would mortgage the future for him.

lsantaoe
02-25-2007, 12:21 PM
Oh, I know. But before I didn't even want to consider trading up that far. Now, if it's reasonable which it won't be, then I probably would.

Shiver
02-25-2007, 12:23 PM
Oh, I know. But before I didn't even want to consider trading up that far. Now, if it's reasonable which it won't be, then I probably would.

Definitely. :lol:

iloxygenil
02-25-2007, 03:31 PM
I guess i'm also the only person here who doesn't like Bly. I want the Falcons to find someone who can be a permenant fixture for 3-5 years. Bly is obviously not that man, and I don't feel comfortable paying him out the butt to play for a year(possibly two) and then retire. He's not a bad player and in fact does fit the system nicely, but I would much rather have the situation fixxed for years to come.
So is that why Brooking played Middle and Demorrio played Weak side when Hartwell was hurt? And then when Hartwell came back Demorrio got shafted back to Nickel duty? Good call, glad you know what you're talking about.

Also, anyone else know what happened to my post count and stuff? I really got shafted back to Rookie...that's not right...

d34ng3l021
02-25-2007, 07:05 PM
So is that why Brooking played Middle and Demorrio played Weak side when Hartwell was hurt? And then when Hartwell came back Demorrio got shafted back to Nickel duty? Good call, glad you know what you're talking about.

Also, anyone else know what happened to my post count and stuff? I really got shafted back to Rookie...that's not right...

Hm. It seems like that happened to Shiver too. He was an All-Pro, but is a vet now. And his post count when down by like alot too. This is my first post here...soo yeah.

And seriously, Dave doesnt seem to know much about Falcon football.

Edit: Oh wtf, 102?

Dave
02-25-2007, 07:29 PM

You must be new at the whole quoting thing because you quoted the wrong section.

Here's what I originally wrote:

Back to the subject.

I have no problem with Keith at MLB, but apparently it wasn't that great of a fix if when Hartwell did come back they just threw it back to the way it was. If that combo of Williams at OLB and Brooking at MLB was so great, why did the Falcons bother with Hartwell at all? Because all they would be doing is trying to prolong the inevitable decline of Brooking. Play him at OLB for one or two years before he retires. Demorrio is wasted talent on this team and could be a major producer in a starting role. He does great when he gets playing time, but that's a big if most of the time. Granted with Hartwell missing games due to his consistent injuries he's got a good chance and racking up reasonable numbers.

I'm glad I don't know much about Falcon football, it saves me from a bias. I know about football and that's the way I like it.

Shiver
02-25-2007, 07:35 PM
I am not a fan of Brooking at MLB. Ideally, Jordan Beck takes over. The team is enamored with him. I just prefer either of them over Hartwell, or Hurtwell as known in some circles. Especially since Zimmer likes faster, more athletic, linebackers.

I know for one thing, I am not a fan of Demorrio Williams. He struggles at the point of attack, but worst of all, he over pursues like crazy. He was culprit number one, for why the New York Giants tore our defense apart. Tiki Barber had 100+ yards running at Demorrio Williams, with counters. That said, the value in the trade doesn't add up in our favor. That's my only issue.

d34ng3l021
02-25-2007, 08:33 PM
I am not a fan of Brooking at MLB. Ideally, Jordan Beck takes over. The team is enamored with him. I just prefer either of them over Hartwell, or Hurtwell as known in some circles. Especially since Zimmer likes faster, more athletic, linebackers.

I know for one thing, I am not a fan of Demorrio Williams. He struggles at the point of attack, but worst of all, he over pursues like crazy. He was culprit number one, for why the New York Giants tore our defense apart. Tiki Barber had 100+ yards running at Demorrio Williams, with counters. That said, the value in the trade doesn't add up in our favor. That's my only issue.

Damn Jordan Beck. So easy to forget about that guy. I want to see him play!!! I mean you know he has got to be good when his first tackle is a forced fumble, and he injures himself for the season while returning an interception. I wonder how he would do with the big boys (first string).

Well now that the post counts are down, I am hella gonna zoom by you guys (goes to Mock Drafts section).

ATLDirtyBirds
02-25-2007, 08:38 PM
I'm very upset at my loss of posts. I planned on retiring at post 6969 and this puts me very far away.

iloxygenil
02-25-2007, 10:03 PM
Yes, this really sucks...I lost over 1000 so it really sucks =( Pretty annoying. Anyway, I don't like the new board layout at all either.

d34ng3l021
02-25-2007, 10:34 PM
Yes, this really sucks...I lost over 1000 so it really sucks =( Pretty annoying. Anyway, I don't like the new board layout at all either.

Yeah its different. It will just take time to get used to I think.

JDB7821
02-26-2007, 02:15 PM
I lost posts, but I barely had posted much anyway. On the linebacker subject, I think Demorrio should leave. He's not the future at WLB. He over-pursues and gets BLOWN UP in the screen game. Block-shedding is not in Demorrio's vocabulary. He's got the speed and he makes a fine nickel-backer, but if he wants to start I'd rather get some kind of compensation for him. We're going to need Brooking and Hartwell's replacements eventually, with Hartwell's replacement much more pressing. I think we should look at MLB in rounds 2-3 and then draft Brooking's replacement next season.

Shiver
02-26-2007, 02:19 PM
I lost posts, but I barely had posted much anyway. On the linebacker subject, I think Demorrio should leave. He's not the future at WLB. He over-pursues and gets BLOWN UP in the screen game. Block-shedding is not in Demorrio's vocabulary. He's got the speed and he makes a fine nickel-backer, but if he wants to start I'd rather get some kind of compensation for him. We're going to need Brooking and Hartwell's replacements eventually, with Hartwell's replacement much more pressing. I think we should look at MLB in rounds 2-3 and then draft Brooking's replacement next season.

3rd rounder, who we almost took in the 2nd, Jordan Beck doesn't constitute as his "replacement"? Jordan Beck even fits in perfect with the typical Mike Zimmer MLB.

Bosanac01
02-26-2007, 04:46 PM
Damn Jordan Beck. So easy to forget about that guy. I want to see him play!!! I mean you know he has got to be good when his first tackle is a forced fumble, and he injures himself for the season while returning an interception. I wonder how he would do with the big boys (first string).

Well now that the post counts are down, I am hella gonna zoom by you guys (goes to Mock Drafts section).

Man i really like Beck, fast guy... he said he could beat all of our LB in a foot race and he proves it on special teams allways being the first one to get down there and make a tackle. Great tackler, very agressive and strong but a nice guy off the field. He should play a lot more!!!

iloxygenil
02-26-2007, 04:53 PM
I don't think he could. He's not faster than Demorrio. I don't know if there is a LB in the NFL who is. He ran stride for stride with Jerious until the last 20 yards of a run in practice. 60 yards stride for stride with Jerious is IMPRESSIVE. But Beck is a freak, and I'd love to have him playing. We have 4 LBs I like a LOT. But I want to keep Demorrio motivated and happy, even if that means that Brooking is kinda demoted in playing time.

JDB7821
02-26-2007, 10:02 PM
3rd rounder, who we almost took in the 2nd, Jordan Beck doesn't constitute as his "replacement"? Jordan Beck even fits in perfect with the typical Mike Zimmer MLB.

If Beck is up to it and Zimmer likes him, then I'm all for it. However, there must have been something wrong if he never saw the field with our linebacker situation over the last couple of seasons. I WANT him to be the replacement, more so than drafting anyone, but he hasn't ever seen the field. I guess I'll hope that's because Mora was inept and the problems he did have were because he was young.

iloxygenil
02-26-2007, 10:19 PM
Dude, our coaching staff didn't let one of our best defensive players on the field all season long because he 'wasn't ready' how stupid is that? Jimmy would have helped our team WAY earlier in the season.

Shiver
02-26-2007, 10:21 PM
Dude, our coaching staff didn't let one of our best defensive players on the field all season long because he 'wasn't ready' how stupid is that? Jimmy would have helped our team WAY earlier in the season.

The fact that Allen Rossum was allowed during our crucial stretch run is, and was, infuriating.

iloxygenil
02-26-2007, 10:25 PM
I feel you totally. I got SO mad, people questioned Jimmy, the real person to question was Jim Mora and his coaching staff.

SimonRath
02-27-2007, 10:12 AM
I feel you totally. I got SO mad, people questioned Jimmy, the real person to question was Jim Mora and his coaching staff.

If Jimmy got more playing time this year, he would be a heck of a lot better this year, and Hall and Williams would be one of the if not the best you CB duo

brat316
02-27-2007, 11:06 PM
Do you guys think that D. Williams the olb will make a bigger impact on D maybe taking over Boley's spot on the Depth Cart

brat316
02-27-2007, 11:22 PM
Do you guys think that D. Williams the olb will make a bigger impact on D maybe taking over Boley's spot on the Depth Cart

J-Dub
02-27-2007, 11:55 PM
why would he take boleys spot boley was very good last year.....mabey next year brooking will move to mlb and d mo will take his spot.....if we do release ed hartwell

iloxygenil
02-28-2007, 01:47 AM
Brooking Middle...Boley Strong...Williams weak...that's AMAZING right there. Those guys fly to the ball and I think that should be our lineup opening day. Unless we let Beck get a shot.

ATLDirtyBirds
02-28-2007, 05:05 AM
That better be a joke. Boley was our best linebacker, and there was an article showing how we are going to make him be the head linebacker, or something to that effect. He is 50x the linebacker DeMo is.

falconsrule
02-28-2007, 08:10 AM
should we consider trading Brookings? DeMo is younger and he wouldnt make as much as Brookings.

D-Rod
02-28-2007, 11:39 AM
should we consider trading Brookings? DeMo is younger and he wouldnt make as much as Brookings.

1. It's BROOKING, there's no S.

2. There's not really much value in trading Brooking

3. After losing Kerney, we can't really afford to lose our other main Defensive leader. Also, the fact remains that Brooking is still a top notch LB. Moreover, he said that he was fully pissed at missing out on the probowl, and will come back doubly determined next year.

iloxygenil
02-28-2007, 12:37 PM
Brooking is the heart of our defense, we can't lose him. But he needs to be a Middle linebacker now. He's not as fast as he once was, and he flows so well in the middle. Him there with Demo on weak side is amazing.

falconsrule
02-28-2007, 01:26 PM
1. It's BROOKING, there's no S.

2. There's not really much value in trading Brooking

3. After losing Kerney, we can't really afford to lose our other main Defensive leader. Also, the fact remains that Brooking is still a top notch LB. Moreover, he said that he was fully pissed at missing out on the probowl, and will come back doubly determined next year.

Yeah BROOKING..Thanks for the grammer lessons....I really do like BROOKING he is the leader of the defense and plays with alot of heart but Im not sure if he fits "Zimmer Defense".....We need to get younger on defense and cheaper aswell....I think we could plug DeMo in BROOKING place and we will not miss a beat.

Shiver
02-28-2007, 04:55 PM
Demorrio Williams was offered a 'intermediate' contract, with compensation set at a 2nd round pick.

BTW - I am stuck on 99 rep points, 1 off the 2nd bar, argh..

d34ng3l021
02-28-2007, 07:42 PM
Wow. So I was watching the DB Combine videos on NFL.com and it stated and some camp, the hardest working guys there were Calvin Johnson, and Chris Houston. I am starting to like this guy more and more. He and Hall could man up against their WRs all day allowing us to do so much more.

ATLDirtyBirds
02-28-2007, 08:13 PM
Demorrio Williams was offered a 'intermediate' contract, with compensation set at a 2nd round pick.

BTW - I am stuck on 99 rep points, 1 off the 2nd bar, argh..

I would help you out, but it won't allow me.

J-Dub
03-01-2007, 12:28 AM
i got u to 100 shiver

iloxygenil
03-01-2007, 01:00 AM
What's the deal with this whole rep thing anyway? lol. I prolly will never leave 1 bar =)

Shiver
03-01-2007, 01:14 AM
I'm a legit "cocksman." LOL. Don't worry Oxy, I'll get you there eventually.

iloxygenil
03-01-2007, 02:00 AM
LOL, s'all good, I ain't too worried about it =) We'll move each other on up I'm sure =) Haha.

ATLDirtyBirds
03-01-2007, 04:41 AM
Dont forget me :P.

edgrenade
03-01-2007, 06:00 PM
Would the Falcons take Kwame Harris, 49ers RT, for a third round pick? or maybe a 4th?

SimonRath
03-01-2007, 06:08 PM
Would the Falcons take Kwame Harris, 49ers RT, for a third round pick? or maybe a 4th?

Maybe a 4th round... never a 3rd

iloxygenil
03-01-2007, 07:16 PM
No way a first day pick.

brat316
03-03-2007, 01:43 AM
Now that Ed Hartwell has been offically cut u think you guys are going to draft a mlb or rearrange the lb trio u guys have,

scar988
03-03-2007, 01:50 AM
again, we will not go LB i nthe first day. do people not understand that we have 4 fully capable LB's?

Shiver
03-03-2007, 02:08 AM
WLB - Demorrio Williams
MLB - Keith Brooking
SLB - Michael Boley

Jordan Beck can play any of those positions, in case of injury. He is very versatile.

Number 10
03-03-2007, 07:31 PM
Do you guys think Rod Coleman still has a couple of solid years left in the tank? I was wondering if the Giants would bring him in as a 3rd DT for depth and passing situations.

scar988
03-03-2007, 10:37 PM
Rod Coleman is not a FA. Rod Coleman has 2 years left on his contract and easily has 2-3 years left in the tank maybe more. he is only 31. Also, John Babineaux is basically the same player as him. I don't see where these guys get that we need a 280-290 pounds DT from.

Number 10
03-03-2007, 11:17 PM
Rod Coleman is not a FA. Rod Coleman has 2 years left on his contract and easily has 2-3 years left in the tank maybe more. he is only 31. Also, John Babineaux is basically the same player as him. I don't see where these guys get that we need a 280-290 pounds DT from.

oops-

Someone told me he was a FA.

d34ng3l021
03-04-2007, 12:14 AM
oops-

Someone told me he was a FA.

:(

I do wanna see how Babs performs though. He was so amazingly good in the PIT game.

d34ng3l021
03-04-2007, 01:30 AM
So I just watched the end of the PIT-ATL game again, and man...Vick's shuffle pass to Griffith and his shrug-off of Polamalu were such amazing plays. I cant wait til this season begins so he can dominate like that again.