PDA

View Full Version : Panthers sign Smith to 3-year extension

Splat
05-08-2007, 11:14 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-panthers-smith&prov=ap&type=lgns

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- Receiver Steve Smith (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players?type=lastname&first=1&query=Steve+Smith&q=Steve+Smith) agreed to a three-year contract extension with the Carolina Panthers (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/car/) on Tuesday in a deal that will keep him with the team through the 2012 season.

His agent, Derrick Fox, said he wasn't authorized to release exact figures, but said Smith's new deal makes him among the five highest-paid receivers in the NFL.

Shiver
05-08-2007, 11:31 AM
He deserves to be paid as the 2nd best WR. My question; how are they going to pay for Julius Peppers?

ShutDwn
05-08-2007, 11:39 AM
He deserves to be paid as the 2nd best WR
Sounds awkward, care to elaborate?

SchizophrenicBatman
05-08-2007, 11:43 AM
He deserves to be paid as the 2nd best WR. My question; how are they going to pay for Julius Peppers?

Hurney knows his way around the cap about as well as the Redskins front office does. It makes up for the fact that he doesn't know jack about players. Peppers will get an extension either this offseason or next, it's Jordan Gross who should be getting prepared for free agency

bsaza2358
05-08-2007, 11:44 AM
I'm sure that this deal offers some sort of cap relief for the Panthers over the next 2 years, so they will be able to move things around and give Peppers his money. I'm pretty sure that was a major reason why the Panthers extended Smith. Cap cutting move.

SchizophrenicBatman
05-08-2007, 11:51 AM
Smitty's old contract was pretty reasonable the next three years, something like 3.5 mil-4.5 mil each year. This was a good faith deal. From what I've heard its 6yrs/45mil spread out evenly throughout (so ~7.5 mil per). Pepp's cap number this upcoming season is like 15mil so if anyone restructuring/extending is going to help, it would be Julius

Shiver
05-08-2007, 12:04 PM
Sounds awkward, care to elaborate?

My WR rankings go..

Marvin Harrison
Steve Smith

So it seems fitting to me.

Acreboy
05-08-2007, 12:22 PM
My WR rankings go..

Marvin Harrison
Steve Smith

So it seems fitting to me.

This is good for Steve. he deserves it.

As far as the best WR in the league goes it's Ocho Cinco for me.

Shiver
05-08-2007, 12:36 PM
Chad Johnson wishes he was as good as Marvin Harrison, or Torry Holt for that matter.

Acreboy
05-08-2007, 12:45 PM
Chad Johnson wishes he was as good as Marvin Harrison, or Torry Holt for that matter.
Torry Holt?

Seriously?

Tory Holt?

Shiver
05-08-2007, 12:47 PM
When Chad Johnson has six consecutive seasons of 1,300 yards, tell me. Holt is one year older, and has accomplished much more in his career than Johnson has.

bsaza2358
05-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Torry Holt is a fantastic WR. He is amazingly consistent and puts up great numbers every year.

Xonraider
05-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Torry Holt?

Seriously?

Tory Holt?

The 2nd best WR in the NFL now.. IMO.

Shiver
05-08-2007, 12:57 PM
Torry Holt is a fantastic WR. He is amazingly consistent and puts up great numbers every year.

He doesn't have a catchy nickname, that he gave himself. He isn't a blatant self-promoter who thinks he's God's gift to the world. Therefore he must not be as good as Chad "Ocho Cinco" Johnson.:rolleyes:

yourfavestoner
05-08-2007, 01:13 PM
Ooooh. Shiver's laying it down today.

Addict
05-08-2007, 01:43 PM
He doesn't have a catchy nickname, that he gave himself. He isn't a blatant self-promoter who thinks he's God's gift to the world. Therefore he must not be as good as Chad "Ocho Cinco" Johnson.:rolleyes:

So we should give Torry Holt a nickname...

how about "the Ho"?
or... "TH"
or... 'the Holtster'
or... 'Hoto'

Shiver
05-08-2007, 01:49 PM
Ooooh. Shiver's laying it down today.

I'm much more antagonistic in the off-season.

tylerb929
05-08-2007, 02:14 PM
Torry Holt has a nickname, its "Big Game".

Have you never heard him called Torry "Big Game" Holt.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torry_Holt its even on wikipedia.

Its Marvin Harrison who doesn't have a nickname, but he's still the best.

Shiver
05-08-2007, 02:21 PM
But did he give himself that nickname? Did he make sure that everyone knows and uses it? It's not so much that Chad Johnson has a nick, and a stupid one at that, but that he gave it to himself.

bsaza2358
05-08-2007, 02:34 PM
Chad Johnson is a fantastic WR, but look at Holt's stats the last 4 seasons:

2003: 117 catches, 1696 yards, 12 TD's
2004: 94 catches, 1372 yards, 10 TD's
2005: 102 catches, 1331 yards, 9 TD's
2006: 93 catches, 1188 yards, 10 TD's

Javes
05-08-2007, 02:37 PM

Love the sig

duckseason
05-08-2007, 03:10 PM
Huh, I always assumed Torry gave that nickname to himself just because he says it every time the camera comes around. I wonder who really gave it to him. Actually, how do we know who gave either player their nicknames? How do we know that Chad wasn't hanging out with TJ and some friends, and somebody else said it? Really don't see much of a difference between the two. And correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Marc Bulger indirectly questioning Holt's (and other players') heart at the end of last season? I'm not trying to bash the guy, I think he is an elite WR. I'm just wondering why people feel the need to cast Chad in a negative light, when he and Holt don't seem to be all that different.

Geo
05-08-2007, 03:14 PM
I've longed cringed when someone mentions Chad Johnson as the best WR in the league. Don't get me wrong, I greatly enjoy Chad - he's the funniest player in the league (some of his quotes are complete gems) and he brings energy to the game - but he's either too inconsistent or lacking in facets of his game for that to be the case.

I'm not sure his teammate TJ Houshmanzadeh isn't the better receiver of the two, quite honestly.

Geo
05-08-2007, 03:17 PM
Huh, I always assumed Torry gave that nickname to himself just because he says it every time the camera comes around.
He did give himself the nickname, mainly because he thinks he's better than he actually is.

bored of education
05-08-2007, 03:17 PM
I also think Tory Holt is number 2. Smith is number 3. Marvin is number 1.

Flyboy
05-08-2007, 03:42 PM
But did he give himself that nickname? Did he make sure that everyone knows and uses it? It's not so much that Chad Johnson has a nick, and a stupid one at that, but that he gave it to himself.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see how Chad giving himself the nickname "Ocho Cinco" is stupid.

duckseason
05-08-2007, 03:48 PM
Leave it to us fine folks here at NFLDC to turn a thread about Steve Smith's contract extension into an argument about 2 other WR's and their nicknames.

Phrost
05-08-2007, 04:22 PM
This is good for Steve. he deserves it.

As far as the best WR in the league goes it's Ocho Cinco for me.

1. Torry Holt
2. Ocho Cinco
3. Randy Moss
4. Steve Smith
5. Marvin Harrison

Peyton MAKES Marvin.

Flyboy
05-08-2007, 04:28 PM
Peyton MAKES Marvin.

And those superb precise routes (especially double moves) has nothing to do with Harrison being wide open on a consistent basis. Nothing at all. :rolleyes:

Shiver
05-08-2007, 04:29 PM
And those superb precise routes (especially double moves) has nothing to do with Harrison being wide open on a consistent basis. Nothing at all. :rolleyes:

Or one handed catches. Or the foot dragging catches, just in bounds.

Flyboy
05-08-2007, 04:31 PM
You're incorrect, Shiver. Manning has telekinetic powers therefore he's able to control Harrison's movements.

Phrost
05-08-2007, 04:35 PM
Put Marvin on the Bucs and see how well he fares.

Shiver
05-08-2007, 04:36 PM
Put Marvin on the Bucs and see how well he fares.

You could put any of the receivers you mentioned on the Bucs, and see a drastic downgrade in production. Chad Johnson has Carson Palmer. Torry Holt has had two pro-bowl, one MVP caliber, Quarterbacks in his career. Etcetera..

Bengals1690
05-08-2007, 04:43 PM

he calls him self big game, dont pull that crap out. ill admit that chad gets more pub but that can be attributed to all the hype around the bengals latley. I can give you hes a better reciever, i think the top 5 is wide open, but i dont understand how tory giving himself the nickname Big Game is ok but CJ giving himself the nickname ocho cinco is somehow selfish

Geo
05-08-2007, 04:43 PM
Peyton and the Colts offense make Marvin Harrison? Well then I guess Joe Montana, Steve Young, Bill Walsh, and the West Coast Offense (the best possible fit) made Jerry Rice then.

Bengals1690
05-08-2007, 04:53 PM
manning doent make marvin at all, but he does help a bit.

Flyboy
05-08-2007, 04:53 PM
manning doent make marvin at all, but he does help a bit.

They make each other look good. Period.

princefielder28
05-08-2007, 05:02 PM
Well deserved; came back from that injury and has played at a higher level than he was before

Splat
05-08-2007, 05:06 PM
1. Torry Holt
2. Ocho Cinco
3. Randy Moss
4. Steve Smith
5. Marvin Harrison

Peyton MAKES Marvin.

Moss stopped being a top five WR years ago.

Phrost
05-08-2007, 05:13 PM
Moss stopped being a top five WR years ago.

Not after this year.

d34ng3l021
05-08-2007, 05:13 PM
Chad Johnson isnt too shabby himself...

He would have 4 straight 1300 yard seasons had he not been 24 yards shy of 1300 in one season...I dont expect his numbers do go down either with Carson Palmer at helm.

bearsfan_51
05-08-2007, 05:20 PM
Ocho Cinco is hilarious. No need to hate.

Shiver
05-08-2007, 05:23 PM
It's hilarious, as are most of his antics. However, I am not into the 'anoint him as the best because he says he is' crowd.

Phrost
05-08-2007, 05:34 PM
It's hilarious, as are most of his antics. However, I am not into the 'anoint him as the best because he says he is' crowd.

The stats are there. He is one of the best because he one of the best. 1300 yards consistently...

Geo
05-08-2007, 05:35 PM
"You can always count on me, I'm like life insurance."

As I said, I love Chad and think he should have a mic every week, but he's not the best receiver in the game right now.

Phrost
05-08-2007, 05:39 PM
"You can always count on me, I'm like life insurance."

As I said, I love Chad and think he should have a mic every week, but he's not the best receiver in the game right now.

How old is he? Isn't his window closing? I mean he will continue to do very well but at this point he has limited upside right?

remix 6
05-08-2007, 05:41 PM
Torry Holt has a nickname, its "Big Game".

Have you never heard him called Torry "Big Game" Holt.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torry_Holt its even on wikipedia.

Its Marvin Harrison who doesn't have a nickname, but he's still the best.

Marvin "Starvin" Harrison. duhhhh

TheChampIsHere
05-08-2007, 06:27 PM
Im expecting the Panthers make some cuts in the near future...Mike Rucker, Kris Jenkins, Ken Lucas, Dan Morgan....these guys could all be on their way out by the beginning of the 08 season. Minter is also retiring...this team is gonna be undergoing a sort of rebuilding process but they will try to continue to be a top team as they undergo it.

TheChampIsHere
05-08-2007, 06:33 PM
I got Chad as the top receiver in the game, hes a gamebreaker in his prime and his consistency is incredible. 4 years straight hes led the AFC in receiving and you can always count on him to put up 1300 yards and 90 receptions. Hes not quite as dynamic of playmaker as Steve Smith, Randy Moss and TO, but hes more consistent than all of them and hes more of a gamebreaker than Marvin or Holt.

ricky bobby
05-08-2007, 07:36 PM
There's a new Steve Smith in the NFL, beware. :)

ShutDwn
05-08-2007, 07:50 PM
I knew this would happen.

Some people just love to let people know their opinion. Even if it isn't wanted. At all...

BlindSite
05-08-2007, 09:02 PM
Good to see, problem is Gross, Peppers and Wharton all need new deals. Peppers and one of the other two for sure. I'm just praying Rashad Butler makes something of himself making one of the other two obsolete.

Stash
05-08-2007, 09:43 PM
Marvin "Starvin" Harrison. duhhhh

I think it's supposed to be the other way around. 'Starvin' Marvin, like the character from South Park.

bearsfan_51
05-08-2007, 10:06 PM
I knew this would happen.

Some people just love to let people know their opinion. Even if it isn't wanted. At all...
I know..imagine that...people voicing opinions on a message board. What has this world come to?

Bama37228
05-09-2007, 01:09 PM
Good to see, problem is Gross, Peppers and Wharton all need new deals. Peppers and one of the other two for sure. I'm just praying Rashad Butler makes something of himself making one of the other two obsolete.

Have you sen Jenkins BURST ?!?!

Phrost
05-09-2007, 04:20 PM
I know..imagine that...people voicing opinions on a message board. What has this world come to?

It never fails, BF51 comes in and puts someone in their place.

Thrawn
05-09-2007, 06:31 PM
Im expecting the Panthers make some cuts in the near future...Mike Rucker, Kris Jenkins, Ken Lucas, Dan Morgan....these guys could all be on their way out by the beginning of the 08 season. Minter is also retiring...this team is gonna be undergoing a sort of rebuilding process but they will try to continue to be a top team as they undergo it.

That would be great. More defense for the Rams.

JPF
05-09-2007, 06:42 PM

Ruckers contract expires after this year. Jenkins will probably be cut if we can't trade him before/during next years draft. Morgan will be gone probably if he misses a game this year. Only one I disagree with is Lucas.

The rebuilding has already begun, we have a total of 8 players over the age of 30 on our roster. Oddly enough, we have a possible replacement for most of them now as well.

ShutDwn
05-09-2007, 08:15 PM

Cute. But, this is a thread about a certain subject, they can go post their opinions in a thread regarding the subject they are talking about. That is what this world has come to.

bearsfan_51
05-10-2007, 12:02 AM
Cute. But, this is a thread about a certain subject, they can go post their opinions in a thread regarding the subject they are talking about. That is what this world has come to.

What are people talking about that isn't relavent to the topic? Steve Smith is now the 2nd highest paid WR in the NFL, that will obviously bring up the subject of where he ranks amongst other recievers. Unless you're talking about something else I missed.

portermvp84
05-10-2007, 09:46 AM
Very smart move by the Panthers. Steve Smith is an elite reciever.