PDA

View Full Version : Who would you rather have?

ricky bobby
05-08-2007, 12:49 PM
Brian Brohm - QB
Colt Brennan - QB

Darren McFadden - RB/WR/QB
Jonathon Stewart - RB

Desean Jackson - WR
Mario Manningham - WR

Jake Long - OT
Sam Baker - OT

Frank Okam - DT
Glenn Dorsey - DT

James Lauranitis - LB
Rey Maualuga - LB

Pick yours, and feel free to add other players.

757Dawg
05-08-2007, 12:52 PM
Brian Brohm
Darren McFadden
Mario Manningham
Jake Long
Frank Okam
James Lauranitis

JoeMontainya
05-08-2007, 12:54 PM
Brian Brohm - QB
Colt Brennan - QB

Jonathon Stewart - RB

Desean Jackson - WR
Mario Manningham - WR

Jake Long - OT
Sam Baker - OT

Frank Okam - DT
Glenn Dorsey - DT

James Lauranitis - LB
Rey Maualuga - LB

Brohm easily, Brennan = Timmy Chang
toss up at RB, but Ill take Stewart, Mcfadden cant run inbewteen the tackles
manningham easily, hes a stud on a very hated team
Jake Long
really have never seen eather DT play
Lauranitis (he finished top 3 at LB this year, not Maulaluga) and is 100X better in coverage.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
05-08-2007, 12:58 PM
Brennan
McFadden
Jackson
Long
Dorsey
Laurinitas

Shiver
05-08-2007, 01:00 PM
I agree with you on every one other than Jonathan Stewart.

Woody56
05-08-2007, 01:02 PM
Brian Brohm - QB
Colt Brennan - QB

Jonathon Stewart - RB

Desean Jackson - WR
Mario Manningham - WR

Jake Long - OT
Sam Baker - OT

Frank Okam - DT
Glenn Dorsey - DT

James Lauranitis - LB
Rey Maualuga - LB

Ho0k Em'
05-08-2007, 01:08 PM
Brian Brohm - QB

Darren McFadden - RB/WR/QB(yes, and anyone who says he cant run between the tackles doesn't know what they're talking about)

Desean Jackson - WR

Sam Baker - OT

Glenn Dorsey - DT

Rey Maualuga - LB

JoeMontainya
05-08-2007, 01:10 PM
"Darren McFadden - RB/WR/QB(yes, and anyone who says he cant run between the tackles doesn't know what they're talking about)"

Running inbetween the tackles, 70% of the time was the other RB's job. Its definatly not a strength of McFaddens. Hes an outside runner, pas catcher type that needs the ball in open space.

Sportsfan486
05-08-2007, 01:12 PM
What's with people selecting Jonathan Stewart?

McFadden is 50x the prospect. Stewart reminds me of a poor man's Ronnie Brown. I think his speed is overrated and he's only a 4.5ish guy, though. Plus he's inconsistent and has never had *that* season.

McFadden has dominated the toughest conference since arriving on campus.

Everything else I agree on.

And no, Felix is the outside runner.. McFadden pounds it.

duckseason
05-08-2007, 01:16 PM

McFadden is 50x the prospect. Stewart reminds me of a poor man's Ronnie Brown. I think his speed is overrated and he's only a 4.5ish guy, though. Plus he's inconsistent and has never had *that* season.

While I have yet to decide who I like better as a prospect between McFadden and Stewart; to say that McFadden is 50x the prospect would imply that either Stewart has no chance of making it to the NFL, or that McFadden is the greatest prospect of all time and is bound to rush for 4,000 yards a season.

JoeMontainya
05-08-2007, 01:17 PM
Sportsfan - there 2 completely different RB's, It just depends on your running stlye. I honestly believe McFadden, much like Bush at this stage cannot run inbetween the tackles at the NFL level and will possible flank out more than not. Stewart is a typical NFL RB who can carry it 20-30 times if had be.

McFadden = Willis McGahee, but more of an all around threat
Stewart = Rudi Johnson, with more athletic ability

Ho0k Em'
05-08-2007, 01:18 PM
"Darren McFadden - RB/WR/QB(yes, and anyone who says he cant run between the tackles doesn't know what they're talking about)"

Running inbetween the tackles, 70% of the time was the other RB's job. Its definatly not a strength of McFaddens. Hes an outside runner, pas catcher type that needs the ball in open space.

No you obviously didn't watch Arkansas last year. He ran inside WAY more than Felix Jones. They're system doesn't call for alot of runs up the middle anyway. McFadden runs with good power. Jonathan Stewart hasn't done **** to even be in the same argument as McFadden.

Sportsfan486
05-08-2007, 01:20 PM
While I have yet to decide who I like better as a prospect between McFadden and Stewart; to say that McFadden is 50x the prospect would imply that either Stewart has no chance of making it to the NFL, or that McFadden is the greatest prospect of all time and is bound to rush for 4,000 yards a season.

I was exaggerating to make a point..

Stewart could become a top 15 guy but right now he's a borderline 1st rounder imo. Doesn't have the production/health/speed teams look for. If he comes through with a terrific season and runs decent times, he can get there.

But right now McFadden is heads and heels over him and probably ALREADY a top 10 lock, even if he gets injured ala AD. If he stays healthy there's no way he doesn't go top 5.

Shiver
Brohm and Brennan is interesting. First I haven't seen any of Brennan's games, I don't get many Hawaii games here. So I am going to have to watch him a few times this year. He passes the eye ball test. I want to see him make some stick throws before I believe in him. So I really cannot say definitely I like Brohm better. I just went with what I've seen.

JoeMontainya
No you obviously didn't watch Arkansas last year. He ran inside WAY more than Felix Jones. They're system doesn't call for alot of runs up the middle anyway. McFadden runs with good power. Jonathan Stewart hasn't done **** to even be in the same argument as McFadden.

Unfortunatly and you obviously dont realize this, college stats have nothing to do with and vary rarely translate to the pros.

duckseason
Should Ronnie Brown have been in the same conversation as Ced Benson? College stats don't mean everything, especially for a couple of Sophomores.

Jughead10
05-08-2007, 01:21 PM
Brian Brohm - QB
Colt Brennan - QB

Jonathon Stewart - RB

Desean Jackson - WR
Mario Manningham - WR

Jake Long - OT
Sam Baker - OT

Frank Okam - DT
Glenn Dorsey - DT

James Lauranitis - LB
Rey Maualuga - LB

I agree with all of yours except I'm not sure about either of the RBs. I'm not sold on either one of them being the best coming out yet.

JT Jag
05-08-2007, 01:24 PM
Brian Brohm - QB
Colt Brennan - QB

Jonathon Stewart - RB

Desean Jackson - WR
Mario Manningham- WR

Jake Long - OT
Sam Baker - OT

Frank Okam - DT
Glenn Dorsey - DT

James Lauranitis - LB
Rey Maualuga - LB

duckseason
05-08-2007, 01:26 PM
I was exaggerating to make a point..

Stewart could become a top 15 guy but right now he's a borderline 1st rounder imo. Doesn't have the production/health/speed teams look for. If he comes through with a terrific season and runs decent times, he can get there.

But right now McFadden is heads and heels over him.

While I agree that Stewart needs to prove he can stay healthy and in turn be more productive against top competition, I think you are overestimating the actual gap between these two players. They'll be handing out bibs at the combine to prevent scouts' shirts from getting soiled with drool when they watch Stewart. I've seen nearly every down he has played here at Oregon, and he definitely is on McFadden's level. He is very fast, and really has all the tools you look for in a great RB. I've yet to decide who I like better, but I'll have a better idea once I see a bit more of these guys while fully healthy.

Ho0k Em'
05-08-2007, 01:26 PM
You could make the case like that for like Garrett Wolfe. But McFadden is an elite prospect dominating the best conference in football.

And Ronnie Brown was playing behind one of the best RB's in college football, and a #4 overall pick. I'm not saying he's a bad prospect, but at this point i don't think you can put him in the same conversation as arguably the best player/prospect in college football.

duckseason
05-08-2007, 01:27 PM
I agree with all of yours except I'm not sure about either of the RBs. I'm not sold on either one of them being the best coming out yet.

I agree. For all we know, some other guy could end up leap frogging both these guys. And I wouldn't count on Stewart coming out this year anyway.

duckseason
05-08-2007, 01:29 PM
You could make the case like that for like Garrett Wolfe. But McFadden is an elite prospect dominating the best conference in football.

And Ronnie Brown was playing behind one of the best RB's in college football, and a #4 overall pick. I'm not saying he's a bad prospect, but at this point i don't think you can put him in the same conversation as arguably the best player/prospect in college football.

Then you really can't put any other RB in that conversation. Stewart is certainly among the elite at this point.

JoeMontainya
05-08-2007, 01:29 PM

Garrett Wolfe is a good back. He ran for 165 plus yards against a very good OSU D early in the season.

Jonathan Stewart wont fully break out as a RB IMO until he is a pro because of the offensive style he plays in at college.

Sportsfan486
05-08-2007, 01:34 PM
While I agree that Stewart needs to prove he can stay healthy and in turn be more productive against top competition, I think you are overestimating the actual gap between these two players. They'll be handing out bibs at the combine to prevent scouts' shirts from getting soiled with drool when they watch Stewart. I've seen nearly every down he has played here at Oregon, and he definitely is on McFadden's level. He is very fast, and really has all the tools you look for in a great RB. I've yet to decide who I like better, but I'll have a better idea once I see a bit more of these guys while fully healthy.

Fair enough. I've liked Stewart for a while and I want him to succeed, I think he's got everything you look for in a NFL pound-the-chains back.

Like I said, right now I see him as a poor man's Ronnie Brown and he went #4. I really doubt Stewart will get that high based on injury ?s and timed speed (he's always been listed as a 4.5-4.55 guy) but if I was to do a mock right now he'd be in round 1 and I'd think whatever team got him made a nice pick.

He needs to prove himself this season, though. The pac-10 isn't known for D so he should put up numbers.

Ho0k Em'
05-08-2007, 01:38 PM
Then you really can't put any other RB in that conversation. Stewart is certainly among the elite at this point.

He's a top RB in the draft, but I have a hard time putting him on an elite level at this point. He's a top RB prospect, but I wouldn't consider him one of the best college RB's. McFadden is the best prospect, and the top college RB.

As for the Wolfe expample that was refering to the college production not having much to do with the transistion to the NFL.

duckseason
05-08-2007, 01:40 PM
Fair enough. I've liked Stewart for a while and I want him to succeed, I think he's got everything you look for in a NFL pound-the-chains back.

Like I said, right now I see him as a poor man's Ronnie Brown and he went #4. I really doubt Stewart will get that high based on injury ?s and timed speed (he's always been listed as a 4.5-4.55 guy) but if I was to do a mock right now he'd be in round 1 and I'd think whatever team got him made a nice pick.

He needs to prove himself this season, though. The pac-10 isn't known for D so he should put up numbers.
Trust me, he'll run in the 4.4's at worst. Quote me on that because it's a guarantee. No way is he in the 4.5s. He's been timed in the 4.3s multiple times, but I'm not quite sure exactly where he's at for sure. He's very fast though. 4.5 guys don't take kick returns to the house with regularity. Anyway, yeah I'm really looking forward to our game in Ann Arbor. Perfect stage for him to really show the nation what he can do against top competition. He was a let-down last year against the better defenses. I'm not yet sold on him being a top 5 pick either. I'm just saying that he surely has the potential to be that. He definitely needs to show a lot more than he has. So I think we're in agreement.

metafour
05-08-2007, 01:41 PM
Ask anyone in the SEC what they think of Darren McFadden and you'll realize why its absolutely stupid to have Jonathan Stewart anywhere near him at this point. McFadden has dominated the SEC ever since stepping onto the field, and thats on a team with pretty much no passing game. He's Adrian Peterson without the injury problems, in fact, I'd say he has a pretty good chance of surpassing Peterson.

metafour
05-08-2007, 01:43 PM
4.5 guys don't take kick returns to the house with regularity.

Ever see Terrence McGee play?? Just because you can return kicks/punts successfully doesn't mean you're an automatic 4.3/4.4 guy.

duckseason
05-08-2007, 01:45 PM
Ask anyone in the SEC what they think of Darren McFadden and you'll realize why its absolutely stupid to have Jonathan Stewart anywhere near him at this point. McFadden has dominated the SEC ever since stepping onto the field, and thats on a team with pretty much no passing game. He's Adrian Peterson without the injury problems, in fact, I'd say he has a pretty good chance of surpassing Peterson.
McFadden is a stud for sure. Love watching him play. However, I don't feel the need to knock other RB's in order to get that point across. Of course there are others in the same conversation, to say different is just false. There are many games that still need to be played before we really know who ranks where. We're talking about a bunch of sophomores here. Look at history.

duckseason
05-08-2007, 01:50 PM
Ever see Terrence McGee play?? Just because you can return kicks/punts successfully doesn't mean you're an automatic 4.3/4.4 guy.

Never said that. Stewart has actually timed in the 4.3s on multiple occasions. Usually, it takes a guy with sub-4.5 speed to bring back kicks to the house on a regular basis. If you were to watch Stewart do it a few times, you would be keenly aware that he is definitely not a 4.5 guy. I'm not sitting here slobbing all on his jock. So I hope you guys don't get that impression. I am merely defending reality. If I see somebody say something that I know to be false, I will point it out.

big daddy russ
05-08-2007, 01:54 PM
Brohm easily, Brennan = Timmy Chang
ROFL. How many Hawaii games have you watched?

That's like comparing Kliff Kingsbury to Chris Todd just because they both play/played for Texas Tech. Two COMPLETELY different QB's.

Don't get me wrong, I still think Brohm's a better QB than Brennan, but that comparison is absolutely ridiculous. And if you need me to lay out some facts, by all means, let me know. I'd be happy to give you the laundry list of differences.

Shiver
05-08-2007, 02:00 PM
If you want to say that "Brennan = Chang," then by your logic "Brohm = Redman" right?

moc182
05-08-2007, 02:03 PM
Brohm, D-Mac, D-Jack, Long, Dorsey, Maualuga

duckseason
05-08-2007, 02:08 PM
If you want to saw that "Brennan = Chang," then by your logic "Brohm = Redman" right?

haha. Yeah no kidding. It really is a ridiculous comparison. I think people who say it are those who just see his stat line in the newspaper and see that he goes to Hawaii. Anyone who has seen him play knows that he has NFL talent. OMG! Dennis Dixon is like totally the same QB as Joey Harrington!!!

JoeMontainya
05-08-2007, 02:09 PM

That's like comparing Kliff Kingsbury to Chris Todd just because they both play/played for Texas Tech. Two COMPLETELY different QB's.

Don't get me wrong, I still think Brohm's a better QB than Brennan, but that comparison is absolutely ridiculous. And if you need me to lay out some facts, by all means, let me know. I'd be happy to give you the laundry list of differences.

Let me guess you got tons of Hawaii games on your TV?

duckseason
05-08-2007, 02:14 PM

It's understandable that a person may not have seen him play. But if that is the case, then that person should refrain from evaluating the player until they have. I've seen him a few times and came away impressed.

big daddy russ
05-08-2007, 02:23 PM

Not at all. I've only seen two of his games--- the one against Oregon State and their bowl game against Arizona State.

And that was more than enough to tell you he's not another Timmy.

Oh, and I did get to see Chang play a few times during his career.

princefielder28
05-08-2007, 02:26 PM
I would switch at RB and LB

derza222
05-08-2007, 02:32 PM
Brian Brohm - QB
Colt Brennan - QB

Jonathon Stewart - RB

Desean Jackson - WR
Mario Manningham - WR

Jake Long - OT
Sam Baker - OT

Frank Okam - DT
Glenn Dorsey - DT

James Lauranitis - LB
Rey Maualuga - LB

Everything the same as yours except I'll take McFadden over Stewart.

terribletowel39
05-08-2007, 02:51 PM
Brennan
McFadden
Sweed
Gaither
Dorsey
Gholston

heavyduty
05-08-2007, 03:43 PM
Colt Brennan, Jonathan Stewert, Desean Jackson, Jake Long, Frank Okam, James Lauranitis

ricky bobby
05-08-2007, 03:48 PM

I simply think that Stewart will be a better RB in the NFL. At 5'11" 230 pounds, he is better built for the NFL. McFadden could be a great player in the NFL, but I can't see him as an every down back in the NFL. He may be used as a Reggie Bush / Antwaan Randle El type of player. He is too tall for an NFL running back and teams will be concerned about his upright running style. He can get away with in the NCAA due to his speed and elusiveness, but once he's in the NFL, it's only a matter of time before he gets injured. Teams had the same concern about Adrian Peterson.

Acreboy
05-08-2007, 04:01 PM
Brian Brohm - QB
Colt Brennan - QB

Jonathon Stewart - RB

Desean Jackson - WR
Mario Manningham - WR

Jake Long - OT
Sam Baker - OT

Frank Okam - DT
Glenn Dorsey - DT

James Lauranitis - LB
Rey Maualuga - LB

Brian Brohm
DeSean Jackson
Jake Long
Glen Dorsey
James Lauranitis

Caddy
05-08-2007, 04:29 PM
Brian Brohm - QB
Colt Brennan - QB

Jonathon Stewart - RB

Desean Jackson - WR
Mario Manningham - WR

Jake Long - OT
Sam Baker - OT

Frank Okam - DT
Glenn Dorsey - DT

James Lauranitis - LB
Rey Maualuga - LB

Brian Brohm
Darren McFadden
Desean Jackson
Jake Long
Glenn Dorsey
Rey Maualuga

Phrost
05-08-2007, 04:54 PM
Brian Brohm - QB
Colt Brennan - QB

Jonathon Stewart - RB

Desean Jackson - WR
Mario Manningham - WR

Jake Long - OT
Sam Baker - OT

Frank Okam - DT
Glenn Dorsey - DT

James Lauranitis - LB
Rey Maualuga - LB

For a pro style offense and Defense.

Stewart
Brohm
Manningham
Jake Long
Glenn Dorsey
Rey Maualuga.

Phrost
05-08-2007, 04:55 PM

Its not too far fetched, they both ran a gimmick spread which usually doesn't translate too well to the pros.

terribletowel39
05-08-2007, 05:02 PM
Its not too far fetched, they both ran a gimmick spread which usually doesn't translate too well to the pros.
while this is true, you can just tell that he has what it takes when he plays to make it in the NFL.

Phrost
05-08-2007, 05:03 PM
while this is true, you can just tell that he has what it takes when he plays to make it in the NFL.

A lot of what Brennen does in the NFL will be based on the team he goes to. Some systems will be great for him, some would be just terrible.

Michigan
05-08-2007, 05:07 PM
Brohm
McFadden
Manningham
Long
Gholston
Maualuga

terribletowel39
05-08-2007, 05:09 PM
A lot of what Brennen does in the NFL will be based on the team he goes to. Some systems will be great for him, some would be just terrible.
true once again. but that is also true with a lot of QB's. most QB's will do better in one system then they do in others.

Phrost
05-08-2007, 05:10 PM
true once again. but that is also true with a lot of QB's. most QB's will do better in one system then they do in others.

Yeah that was a rather common statement wasn't it? It can apply to most players and positions.

Space Ghost
05-08-2007, 05:14 PM
Brian Brohm
Colt Brennan

I don't like either of them... I think they are both system quarterbacks who will have average careers in the NFL despite being chosen in the first two rounds of the draft in all likelihood.

Darren McFadden
Jonathon Stewart

Desean Jackson
Mario Manningham

Jake Long
Sam Baker

Frank Okam
Glenn Dorsey

James Lauranitis
Rey Maualuga

neither...

Dan Connor

Phrost
05-08-2007, 05:15 PM
Brian Brohm
Colt Brennan

I don't like either of them... I think they are both system quarterbacks who will have average careers in the NFL despite being chosen in the first two rounds of the draft in all likelihood.

Darren McFadden
Jonathon Stewart

Desean Jackson
Mario Manningham

Jake Long
Sam Baker

Frank Okam
Glenn Dorsey

James Lauranitis
Rey Maualuga

neither...

Dan Connor

Did Louisville run a WCO?

Paranoidmoonduck
05-08-2007, 05:42 PM
Brian Brohm - QB
Colt Brennan - QB

Brennan has nice tools, but I really don't think his stock is going to get much higher than it was this past offseason. Brohm has everything you look for, and with a strong year he's a top 10 pick.

Darren McFadden - RB
Jonathon Stewart - RB

Until Stewart actually does something, this has to be McFadden by a mile. Stewart is built like the perfect NFL runner, but McFadden is more explosive, has way more top speed, runs with more ferocity, and has a ton of production. I think this is another Peterson/Lynch situation, only this time I believe the two candidates are better.

Desean Jackson - WR
Mario Manningham- WR

Mario Manningham relied far too heavily on his double move last year to get him open, and I need to see more versatile route running before I crown him anything. Jackson is Ginn with a shorter stride, which means he actually has a shot at fulfilling that potential.

Jake Long - OT
Sam Baker - OT

As I've said before, I don't think Long is an NFL LT, so that, by default, gives Baker the edge in value.

Frank Okam - DT
Glenn Dorsey - DT

Not really much of a question. Okam didn't do a whole lot last year while Dorsey is a fantastic 3-technique prospect.

James Lauranitis - LB
Rey Maualuga - LB

I don't think either have a shot at being the top linebacker prospect, but Maualuaga at least has that sort of potential.

big daddy russ
05-08-2007, 05:42 PM

So did Drew Brees.

The thing is, June Jones has been able to add a ton of plays since getting Brennan in from Boulder that he could've never run with Chang. Chang didn't have the big arm of Brennan or Brennan's downfield accuracy. Chang could've never hoped to deliver the deep outs that Brennan does.

Timmy was definitely more of a cerebral QB, the kind of guy you need for the run and shoot offense, and was a phenomenal college QB, especially for the system. Brennan also has to work on his mechanics. He's big enough to be an NFL QB, but he has that funky, low delivery that he'll probably have to correct. Other than that, though, he has the tools. Great touch, good accuracy, NFL arm, good vision, goes through progressions, doesn't stare a hole through his receivers.

I'm anything but an NFL scout, so I rely on guys like Scott Wright's assessment of where he stands instead of my own. I can tell you that I think he has a big arm, NFL talent, yada yada yada, but I can't tell you how he compares to the Brohms and other elite QB's of the world, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

And I absolutely agree with your assessment that it depends on which team he goes to. I think that can be said for every QB and, IMO, you hit the nail on the head with that one. I've always believed that that's one of the biggest factors that determines a kid's success.

Yung Flippa
05-08-2007, 05:57 PM
Brian Brohm - QB
Mario Manningham - WR
Jake Long - OT
Glenn Dorsey - DT
James Lauranitis - LB

schmiddog
05-08-2007, 07:59 PM

You just could not be any further from the truth regarding McFadden. I am wondering when this board will stop saying he can't run between the tackles. It is just flat out incorrect, plain and simple

doingthisinsteadofwork
05-08-2007, 10:19 PM
Brennan
McFadden
Jackson
Baker
Dorsey
Maualuga

KWill93
05-09-2007, 01:38 AM
Brohm
McFadden