PDA

View Full Version : Cincinnati Bengals Discussion

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Ravens1991
01-27-2007, 08:58 PM
I cant remember if David Pollack has been cleared to play football, will he ever be able to play again?

rickscott
01-27-2007, 09:43 PM
pollack was operated on about a month ago. He has the halo off but is still in a neck brace. He is months away from deciding if he ever plays again, but most in Cincy feel his career is likely over. It's just that if there is a chance it happens again, he would be crazy to continue.

Ravens1991
01-27-2007, 09:55 PM
That is a shame to see somebody go down like that especially considering he was is so young.

BengalsPwn
01-28-2007, 12:55 AM
Duh, I forgot completely about Geathers.

So I guess that would mean it'd be nice to draft a Patrick Willis if he was there or CB in the first.

After Okoyes Senior Bowl week I'm ready to cave and say I'd take him in the first :oops: . If he even falls that far though, he seems like a rare DT that can be a playmaker so I'm for it.

Took you long enough to hop on his bandwagon. Ive always been on his wagon but it seems like the whole NFL has found him now and he will be long gone before our pick. Im all for Carriker at 18 though. He would be perfect for either the 4-3 or 3-4 at DE or DT.

rickscott
01-28-2007, 12:30 PM
With the uncertainty of Pollack, Thurman and slower progress of Brooks, I can see Willis being our choice especially if the 3-4 is a possibility.

themaninblack
01-28-2007, 02:15 PM
since pollacks injury ive said hes done and i wouldnt have listened to anything except from his mouth and his wife is good friends with my moms client and he is definetly coming back. she just got me a picture and a football autographed by him.

rickscott
01-28-2007, 06:24 PM
I love the guy but I sure hope he's making a good decision....

PalmerToCJ
01-28-2007, 07:00 PM
Duh, I forgot completely about Geathers.

So I guess that would mean it'd be nice to draft a Patrick Willis if he was there or CB in the first.

After Okoyes Senior Bowl week I'm ready to cave and say I'd take him in the first :oops: . If he even falls that far though, he seems like a rare DT that can be a playmaker so I'm for it.

Took you long enough to hop on his bandwagon. Ive always been on his wagon but it seems like the whole NFL has found him now and he will be long gone before our pick. Im all for Carriker at 18 though. He would be perfect for either the 4-3 or 3-4 at DE or DT.

Yeah, in hindsight I kinda feel like a Dbag over it. I still want nothing to do with Tank Tyler, there is no reason to reach for a DT. Okoye has playmaker written all over him and he's a great character guy... Only thing is now he's not going to be there so it doesn't even matter.

I'm just assuming that Pollack won't be back, if he is he should move to DE.

rickscott
01-28-2007, 07:11 PM
I don't want Tank either. I see a quality Safety in Rd 2 so we need a top DL or LB in Rd 1. I think Willis would be a solid pick in Rd 1 but I'd love to see Okoye, Branch, Adams or J. Anderson slip to us.

PalmerToCJ
01-28-2007, 11:03 PM
I'm hoping some of the positions we don't have a big need for have players shoot up the boards.

Leaving Landry, Nelson, Okoye, Willis, Revis etc. to fall back to us.

Regardless, we need a playmaker period, doesn't matter which position.

themaninblack
01-29-2007, 12:35 AM
i think okoye's gonna be long gone by our pick, hes gonna impress at the combine as well. im really feeling micheal griffin though.

BengalsPwn
01-29-2007, 12:29 PM
Im feeling Michael Griffin too...... after a trade down to about 25 and picking up another 2nd rounder =) cause im sure he will be there until then, he might be there till about 30 actually. I would still love to see Quentin Moses or Jarvis Moss at 18 though.

quickcc
01-29-2007, 01:00 PM
i think okoye's gonna be long gone by our pick, hes gonna impress at the combine as well. im really feeling micheal griffin though.

I'm not so sure that Okoye will be gone by our pick. With Alan Branch coming into the draft that's one DT that will probably be drafted before Okoye (because of the relative sizes of both men) and somebody may well fall in love with Tank Tyler and reach for him above Okoye (the way Buffalo did with John McCargo last year.)

I really do think the emergence of other players in the Senior Bowl/ Combine is going to lead to Okoye being there for us.
Guys like Dwayne Bowe, Robert Meachem, Michael Bush, and are creeping up the charts into the first round.

I'd like to do a little in depth analysis of how it would be simple for Okoye to fall to us:

A) There are some players that we pretty much know will be gone long before us; players that almost any team would kill for; they include:

JaMarcus Russell (my 2nd favorite team, the Raiders, better take him!)
Brady Quinn
Joe Thomas
Calvin Johnson
Gaines Adams
Ted Ginn Jr.
Dwayne Jarrett
Alan Branch
Adrian Peterson
Reggie Nelson
Marshawn Lynch
Laron Landry
Leon Hall

So that in and of itself takes out 13 draft slots somewhere ahead of us; leaving us with 4 more to get through, right?

Then you've got a couple of "chancey" picks in Lawrence Timmons and Marcus McCauley; who could very easily be gone by the time we get there; and you've got the guys creeping into the first that I mentioned before (Bowe, Meachem, Bush) plus a few more I didn't mention in Jarvis Moss, Jamaal Anderson, and Adam Carriker. That's another eight guys that could fairly easily be taken by the 18th.

That took out the remaining 4 undefined picks and added another 4 guys that could be taken that high (in case some of the original 17 picks ahead of us fall behind us.)
So those guys are acting as insurance for our Okoye pick.

Plus I really think that Patrick Willis' stock is going to skyrocket and he'll be gone before 18, and there's probably going to be some team out there that'll reach quite a bit for a player (such as John McCargo of last year.)

So, factoring in Willis and one big reach, that puts the count -by my little theory here- up to 23 guys that have definite potential to be picked before Okoye gets picked. And we only have to have 17 of those to work to capture Okoye -13 of which are almost guaranteed.

Let me know whether or not you like my theory. . . but remember, it's just a theory mixed with a bit of wishful thinking.

Don't get me wrong, I love Michael Griffin, but the order I'm now hoping for of guys they WANT to draft (based on my approximation of who could still going to be available at the 18th) is this:

1. Amobi Okoye
2. Michael Griffin
3. Patrick Willis
4. Paul Posluszny
5. Darrelle Revis
6. Tank Tyler
7. Marcus McCauley

To PalmerToCJ:
Nice to have you on Okoye's bandwagon, I've got a nice open seat on it right next to me. :)

Sincerely,
DA

BengalsPwn
01-29-2007, 01:46 PM
Trust me when I say this, Okoye WILL be gone by 18. We have a better chance at Landry or Nelson before Okoye. The chances of a S dropping is very high, the chances a stud DT dropping, slim and none. I think there is a better chance that Gaines Adams is there at 18 over Okoye.

PalmerToCJ
01-29-2007, 02:06 PM
Man, I really turned around on Okoye following the senior bowl.

Plain and simple I don't care which defensive position we address we just need a playmaker at that spot.

Dark Apprentice.... I'm not so sure all of the players you mentioned are locks.

JaMarcus Russell (my 2nd favorite team, the Raiders, better take him!) - Lock
Brady Quinn - Lock
Joe Thomas - Lock
Calvin Johnson - Lock
Gaines Adams - Lock
Ted Ginn Jr. - not a guarantee
Dwayne Jarrett - Probably a lock
Alan Branch - Lock
Adrian Peterson - Lock
Reggie Nelson - Lock
Marshawn Lynch - Maybe...
Laron Landry - Probably
Leon Hall - No longer a lock IMO

I think Okoye is gone. Branch goes top 6, then Okoye goes to either St. Louis or Buffalo.

I agree completely about Timmons/McCauley being "chancey", especially McCauley. I don't think either have great value at that spot.

I'm still hoping for Willis or Revis. That'd make me happy. Chris Houston or Jarvis Moss might be darkhorses after the combine.

PalmerToCJ
01-29-2007, 03:04 PM
Hmmm.... :shock:

I didn't even consider the possibility of re-signing Steinbach but straight off rotoworld

The Bengals and free agent offensive lineman Eric Steinbach are expected to begin contract talks in the coming days.
Steinbach is said to be Cincinnati's top offseason priority, but is "sure to visit Chicago and Cleveland" if a deal can't be reached. The Bills have also been mentioned as possible suitors for the versatile Steinbach.

Supposedly a lot of teams have him pinned as a LT.

Found a lot of interesting news...

Bengals DE Justin Smith is not expected to return in 2007.
Frostee Rucker may see more of a role and Robert Geathers should take Smith's spot in the starting lineup. Smith will be a hot commodity if Dwight Freeney and Patrick Kerney don't make it to the free-agent market.

Chris Perry (leg) is the only Bengal not expected to be ready to be back on the field in May.
Perry only has 73 career carries because of injuries. Cincy will probably try to re-sign Kenny Watson as insurance. Perry's failure to develop helps Rudi Johnson's chances for another fine season in 2007.

Bengals CB Tory James is not expected to be back with the team next season.
He's a free agent and not playing particularly well. Deltha O'Neal is also a candidate to be released as Cincy will revamp their secondary.
As if that's surprising...

I'd sure like to see Odell back. Him and Brooks at LB would be NASTY. Then we have TWO playmakers at LB and another solid one in Landon.

Then we need a CB and either LB or DE if we swapped to the 3-4.

Even if Marvin takes back Odell though it'll probably be a while before he gets the starting job back.

rickscott
01-29-2007, 03:31 PM
Other than Revis or Hall, I'm not sure I want a CB in Rd 1. So many fine Safeties though. I see 4 of them although maybe Meriweather is a Rd 2 guy. I would not be upset with Landry, Griffin or Nelson in Rd 1 unless one of the great DTs slip to us. The rise of Jamel Anderson will cause someone to fall, hopefully to us.

quickcc
01-29-2007, 03:54 PM
Trust me when I say this, Okoye WILL be gone by 18. We have a better chance at Landry or Nelson before Okoye. The chances of a S dropping is very high, the chances a stud DT dropping, slim and none. I think there is a better chance that Gaines Adams is there at 18 over Okoye.

I disagree. I think that with the bust rate of DTs in the past few years some of the teams that are above us will think twice about drafting a young DT over a older, perhaps wiser safety.

All you have to do is look at the New Orleans Saints, and Kansas City Chiefs to see some good examples of DTs taken too high screwing with the D-Line of a franchise.
Two words as to why some teams above us might be cautious:

Johnathan Sullivan.

Not that I'm comparing Okoye to Sullivan as players; they're almost diametrically opposed personalities with Okoye being underweight and high-motored and Sullivan frequently being overweight and sluggish etc.
I'm just saying, that guys like Sullivan might make some of the franchises above us skiddish about it.

The rate of DTs drafted in the first was decreasing every year until last year because of Sullivan and the KC busts etc. I think it'll only be two guys this year, and I think Okoye will still be there.

No offense, but I never trust someone that says, "trust me" unless I know them, and frequently not even if I DO know them. :)
The last time someone said that, I told him I was rooting for LSU in their bowl this year and that I thought they were going to win, he said, "Trust me, Notre Dame's going to stomp them."
Yeah. . . right. :)

Man, I really turned around on Okoye following the senior bowl.

Plain and simple I don't care which defensive position we address we just need a playmaker at that spot.

Dark Apprentice.... I'm not so sure all of the players you mentioned are locks.

JaMarcus Russell (my 2nd favorite team, the Raiders, better take him!) - Lock
Brady Quinn - Lock
Joe Thomas - Lock
Calvin Johnson - Lock
Gaines Adams - Lock
Ted Ginn Jr. - not a guarantee
Dwayne Jarrett - Probably a lock
Alan Branch - Lock
Adrian Peterson - Lock
Reggie Nelson - Lock
Marshawn Lynch - Maybe...
Laron Landry - Probably
Leon Hall - No longer a lock IMO

I think Okoye is gone. Branch goes top 6, then Okoye goes to either St. Louis or Buffalo.

I agree completely about Timmons/McCauley being "chancey", especially McCauley. I don't think either have great value at that spot.

I'm still hoping for Willis or Revis. That'd make me happy. Chris Houston or Jarvis Moss might be darkhorses after the combine.

It's just nice to have one of the most vocal people on this board be rooting for Okoye with me. :)

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with you about what you said, per say, but I do think that Ted Ginn and Leon Hall are locks.
Ted Ginn because someone is going to go cross-eyed over his speed and take him higher than he probably should be taken; Hall because he's the biggest name out of the three possible 1st round corners (Hall, Revis, McCauley.)
You're probably right about Lynch. I almost kept him off of the list, but I decided to put him on in the end because he's the second RB on everyone's board (seemingly) so I think he'll get taken by someone.

I think that if Okoye drops to St. Louis and Timmons, Posluszny, or Willis are still on the board one of them will be taken.
I think St. Louis is desperately searching for some LB right now, and I think they'll be one of the teams that will be too shy to pull the trigger on Okoye (Jimmy Kennedy, anyone?)
As for Buffalo, they just took John McCargo, I don't think they'll invest in another young DT in the first this soon.

I think Branch will drop to Miami if they keep the pick, which would get Okoye over one of the main bumps on the road to us.
Washington will probably fall in love with someone they shouldn't, or trade up for someone bigger-named, or trade the pick away for a worthless free agent like they always do. Anything not to draft the obvious choice for them (Branch.)

So if he gets over Miami I don't think anyone in picks 10-15 will take him, because there will still be too many other impact players on the board and most of the teams there don't really need him.

Green Bay at 16 could use him but I still think they'll take an impact offensive guy of some sort instead (maybe Lynch or Jarrett if they're still there.)
Then we have to get over Jacksonville. . . They have Stroud and Henderson so that little "feat" won't be hard to accomplish at all.

So I think Okoye will manage to be there, though talent-wise he probably shouldn't.
I think there are just too many other guys with bigger names and more impressive records that teams will fall in love with, which would work to our benefit.

PalmerToCJ
01-29-2007, 05:10 PM
My only reason for thinking the Bills/Rams might take him is that their fans are wanting him... No real insight to it though so you may be right. Other potential via the Dolphins or Packers (although offense seems the route to go). I also see where you're going with Ginn but I think either him or Jarrett will fall past us, I'm sure Ginn's 40 will keep him up there though.

I agree about Revis, he's the only CB I want in the first. Chris Houstons stock will rise (IMO) but I don't see him ever reaching good value at 18 and I'm not sure of anyone who would want to trade up.

To be honest though I really think Willis has a better chance of falling than Okoye. Now that I looked over this stuff about Odell again it got me all excited wanting him back so now I don't want Willis as bad :lol:

Right now... I'm wanting Nelson/Landry/Okoye, I just don't see a lot of value for DE at 18, Revis is the only CB I see taking there, Willis has a shot but we'd have to be able to read Marvin's mind to know what he has in store for Odell. I'm honestly just hoping he wants to scare the hell out of him then give him one final chance. I'm starting to be all about the 3-4 again but our 4-3 was doing a solid job vs. the run last year, it's just that freaking Breshnhan never sent any pass rushers and Tory James sucks. Either route the only glaring need I see right now is CB pending on Justin Smith.

quickcc
01-29-2007, 05:41 PM
My only reason for thinking the Bills/Rams might take him is that their fans are wanting him... No real insight to it though so you may be right. Other potential via the Dolphins or Packers (although offense seems the route to go). I also see where you're going with Ginn but I think either him or Jarrett will fall past us, I'm sure Ginn's 40 will keep him up there though.

I agree about Revis, he's the only CB I want in the first. Chris Houstons stock will rise (IMO) but I don't see him ever reaching good value at 18 and I'm not sure of anyone who would want to trade up.

To be honest though I really think Willis has a better chance of falling than Okoye. Now that I looked over this stuff about Odell again it got me all excited wanting him back so now I don't want Willis as bad :lol:

Right now... I'm wanting Nelson/Landry/Okoye, I just don't see a lot of value for DE at 18, Revis is the only CB I see taking there, Willis has a shot but we'd have to be able to read Marvin's mind to know what he has in store for Odell. I'm honestly just hoping he wants to scare the hell out of him then give him one final chance. I'm starting to be all about the 3-4 again but our 4-3 was doing a solid job vs. the run last year, it's just that freaking Breshnhan never sent any pass rushers and Tory James sucks. Either route the only glaring need I see right now is CB pending on Justin Smith.

Yeah, I wouldn't want Hall because I don't think he fits in Marvin's scheme, and as for McCauley, I have a theory about drafting Fresno St. players: Don't. ;)

Seriously though, I have heard of too many problems with McCauley to want him. I've heard he's not playing hard and he's not training hard; so it doesn't seem like he cares too much.
We had at least one high-profile player like that before:
Dan Wilkinson.

But I have only heard good things about Revis, so far.

I like Willis, really I do, but I think he's going to become too popular after the combine for us to have a shot at taking him.
MLBs are in high-demand and short supply. And he's fairly assuredly going to be a high quality starter for someone.

I agree with you, I hope Marv's just trying to scare Thurman straight. It'd be nice to have him back next year -assuming he's not going to screw around with us.
If he's going to be suspended again, or be a locker-room problem, or be a constant distraction, I would rather send him packing regardless of his talent level (which is obviously high.)

I would be happy with Landry, but I didn't put him on my "wishlist" because I don't think either him or Nelson will be there by 18.
We've got too many people in front of us that could use some serious DB help -particularly at safety.

Atlanta, Carolina, Green Bay, Tampa Bay, Cleveland etc. all could really use some DB help in the first.

Yeah, Tory should be done. And I really hope that we don't resign Justin Smith for too much.
I don't think he should be franchised and kept. If we franchise him, I think we have to trade him; which may be the best option.
We could probably get a second or third round pick for him (I think.)

PalmerToCJ
01-29-2007, 06:03 PM
The thing about not franchising Smith though is that we'd still get a 3rd rounder anyway via compensation picks (we might have 3 total 3rd rounders next year if Smith/Steinbach both leave) without the hassle of a trade. Granted we wouldn't get a 3rd rounder this year.

You're right about the safties. I'm not sold on Michael Griffin being anything spectacular. Atlanta is almost a lock for Nelson/Landry. Then it just depends how far the other one falls but I'm sure GB/CAR/JAX are bound to pick the other one up... There's still a slight amount of hope they go another route though.

I'm still shocked we're talking to Steinbach... I figured he was as good as done.

BengalsPwn
01-29-2007, 06:33 PM
Your dreaming if you think we would get 2 3rd rounders in compensation for Smith/Steinbach. If we happen to sign a decent FA, which isnt surprising anymore after we picked up Adams/Jackson last year, that would kill our chance at 1 3rd rounder, and if Smith has a down year, we would be lucky to get a 6th rounder for him. Also FA we keep count against compensation so if Watson or any other FA does good, it will kill that chance. I still think no matter what, round one we have to get a pass rusher interior or edge. Whether its Moses, Moss, Carriker, Okoye, or Adams.

FootballGod
01-29-2007, 09:57 PM
Your dreaming if you think we would get 2 3rd rounders in compensation for Smith/Steinbach. If we happen to sign a decent FA, which isnt surprising anymore after we picked up Adams/Jackson last year, that would kill our chance at 1 3rd rounder, and if Smith has a down year, we would be lucky to get a 6th rounder for him. Also FA we keep count against compensation so if Watson or any other FA does good, it will kill that chance. I still think no matter what, round one we have to get a pass rusher interior or edge. Whether its Moses, Moss, Carriker, Okoye, or Adams.
I have a hard time believing that Adams will be there when we pick. Moss is not a top 20 pick and not a DE in the NFL. Okoye would be a dream and I feel that it is only a 40-60 spread that he will be around at 18. This leads us with Moses vs. Carriker. With Carriker's practice and game play this week I think that he is a better player and a more pure DE than Moses. Out of this list I think Carriker is the most likely pick becuase Moses is not really thick or strong. Once again Carriker is a DE and Moses is a 3-4 OLB.
P.S. I think McCauley will be a 2nd rounder now. Many scouts said he looks extremely raw. He did not practise hard and relies on his natural talent to much. He didn't finish all of his plays either. I think he will drop to the second round this year.

FootballGod
01-29-2007, 09:59 PM
What is the latest news on Odell? Someone a few posts up said something about him.

PalmerToCJ
01-29-2007, 10:37 PM

Ah.... You're right I misunderstood how the compensatory picks worked. I just remembered getting the 3rd from TKO and Lamont Jordan granting the Jets a 3rd, I didn't know it factored in so many other things.

Gaines Adams will be LONG gone before we go on the clock. Moss is a possibility I think.

I was talking about Odell, just hoping out loud that he'd be allowed back but there's no new news.

rickscott
01-29-2007, 11:30 PM
Everyone is just guessing about Odell's return but someone said they spoke to someone who was "informed" and said Odell; if clean will be welcomed back with open arms. I hope the best for him. If he can get through this off season clean, I think he will be back.

EdReedUnstoppable
01-29-2007, 11:31 PM
Everyone is just guessing about Odell's return but someone said they spoke to someone who was "informed" and said Odell; if clean will be welcomed back with open arms. I hope the best for him. If he can get through this off season clean, I think he will be back.

Of course he'll be welcomed back, he has talent and a bright future if he stays clean. If he was a backup MLB he wouldn't be welcomed back. the good ones are always given chance after chance.

PalmerToCJ
01-29-2007, 11:33 PM
I sure hope so. I mean, he's just entirely too good to let go. The second we dropped him everyone else around the league would be all over him. Hopefully Marvin has scared the living hell out of him and he'll get it together.

Landon/Odell/Ahmad would be just to die for. Then we need another CB and DE for Justin Smith and we'd be ready to go.

My main problem is that you know he won't start. Kinda like last year when he was playing with the 3rd/4th string guys in preseason, that was about a depressing sight.

The real reason I think Marvin got so PO'd with him and Deltha is that the rest of the guys are good in the locker room and do everything for the team, never miss meetings. I know Odell missed meetings once or twice and Marvin was dissapointed with him even before the suspension then it just got worse.

EdReedUnstoppable
01-29-2007, 11:34 PM
Hey PTC why is it that you dont think the Bengals will address TE on day 1?

PalmerToCJ
01-29-2007, 11:38 PM
Hey PTC why is it that you dont think the Bengals will address TE on day 1?

Marvin/Bratkowski/our TE coach all laughed about it last year when they talked about us taking one in the 1st. Marvin was just looking for a project guy that can block, that's the main role of the TE in our offense. No need to add another mouth to feed in a pass catching TE and we are just a few pieces away from a solid defense so that's the route we have to go. TE just isn't a big impact position on our team.

TJ/Chris Perry/Jeremi Johnson take up a lot of the role for us that a tradition TE would. TJ led the league in 3rd down receptions and Perry/Johnson catch a lot of passes out of the backfield.

EdReedUnstoppable
01-29-2007, 11:40 PM
Plus you guys have Tim Day.

PalmerToCJ
01-30-2007, 11:29 AM
Plus you guys have Tim Day.

I was going to mention him but I'm not sure how he figures in the future.

You're quite the informed Ravens fan, I'm willing to let you convert to the Bengals... :P

D-Rod
01-31-2007, 06:28 AM
Hey Bengals -

Quick question:

Do you think that Eric Steinbach could legitimately play (and perform well!) at Left Tackle?

If he can, he is going to make an awful lot of money this offseason, because there is not really anyone else on the market who can... (and I'm assuming you guys don't resign him, given the huge Jones/Anderson contracts).

Cheers.

PalmerToCJ
01-31-2007, 11:43 AM
I don't see why Steinbach couldn't play LT but he's much better suited for Center or LG. The guy can play all over the place... That's gotta be worth something to someone.

I was shocked to read he's our top priority this offseason so we might still re-sign him but I'm doubtful of that happening.

BengalsPwn
01-31-2007, 12:45 PM
I think the bengals saw what happened to Seattle when they lost Hutchinson and doesnt want it to happen to them. With the cap increase we have more than enough to afford him, and its not like we are going to go spend it on a Asante Samuels or a Nate Clements so why not keep him. I just hope we let Justin go cause I am tired of seeing him in a bengals uni. He just doesnt know how to get to the QB.

PalmerToCJ
01-31-2007, 02:22 PM
I think the bengals saw what happened to Seattle when they lost Hutchinson and doesnt want it to happen to them. With the cap increase we have more than enough to afford him, and its not like we are going to go spend it on a Asante Samuels or a Nate Clements so why not keep him. I just hope we let Justin go cause I am tired of seeing him in a bengals uni. He just doesnt know how to get to the QB.

He is sneaky good... He was 15th last year in sacks/hurries, it surprised me too.

I do think the oline is much more important to the team, with our struggles last year our D wasn't terrible... It was just that our offense wasn't as good as usual because the Oline struggled.

You know, they could always re-sign Steinbach... Put him at Center then Whitworth at LG. Just a thought...

BengalsPwn
01-31-2007, 07:34 PM
Why would they do that when Ghuciac has been ballin when hes been in. The only O-line problems they had last year was Levi going down and having Whitworth getting pwned all over the field, especially by Dwight Freeney :roll: :roll: They might as well just mold Whitworth into Willie's replacement in the next couple of years.

Freddy G
01-31-2007, 07:38 PM
Are the Bengals switching to the 3-4?

If so, would you plan on drafting a 3-4 player like Carriker or a OLB in round 1?

deyebc
01-31-2007, 09:18 PM
We won't know whether a switch is gonna happen until after the draft.... i.e. if the right players for a 3-4 drop to us in the later rounds and we don't re-sign Justin Smith since he is not a 3-4 DE.

PalmerToCJ
01-31-2007, 09:31 PM
Why would they do that when Ghuciac has been ballin when hes been in. The only O-line problems they had last year was Levi going down and having Whitworth getting pwned all over the field, especially by Dwight Freeney :roll: :roll: They might as well just mold Whitworth into Willie's replacement in the next couple of years.

Whitworth did get owned by Freeney but the run blocking really struggled without Braham in there, I'm not saying they should just thinking out loud. I agree that if we did re-sign Steinbach then might as well get Whitworth ready for RT eventually and I think Andrews can play RG.

Geathers would play OLB (as I forgot earlier), really the only piece I could see us grabbing up to complete it is a LB (if Odell has no chance of returning) or DE like Carriker. Adams/Smith at NT, Peko and Carriker on the ends would be sick. Then Landon/Geathers outside with Ahmad/Simmons (this year)/Nicholson and Odell being question marks. Jeanty could figure in as well. Replacing James/Deltha... It'd be nice to have a saftey but Jackson is good enough for right now if we can't address it elsewhere.

Smith said he'd be open to swapping to OLB in the 3-4 but that wouldn't make a lot of sense as he's just not that type of player.

themaninblack
02-01-2007, 10:40 PM
i dont rly see the 3-4 happening totally this year. id like them to be able to move from 3-4 to 4-3 whenever they want really. i think that was the original idea with drafting pollack but that might be on hold for awhile.

PalmerToCJ
02-01-2007, 11:21 PM
i dont rly see the 3-4 happening totally this year. id like them to be able to move from 3-4 to 4-3 whenever they want really. i think that was the original idea with drafting pollack but that might be on hold for awhile.

I don't see it happening either.

I'm hoping for it though... Think it'll improve our pass rush and makes the best out of our players, plus I just like it more in general.

themaninblack
02-02-2007, 12:57 AM
if it were to happen we wouldve seen more and more draft picks who are suited for it, maybe this year we will see it some more but idk.

PalmerToCJ
02-02-2007, 11:45 AM
if it were to happen we wouldve seen more and more draft picks who are suited for it, maybe this year we will see it some more but idk.

Well, Manny Lawson was rumored real hard last year but we needed a CB bad and he was gone... Then in the second OL was almost a must so it didn't have priority really.

I guess we'll see, Carriker would be nice. Then a CB in the 2nd. Peko at DE, Smith/Adams at NT, Carriker at DE. LB's would be a little fuzzy. Geathers/Landon outside, Ahmad and a combo of a few guys inside.

New CB/Dexter/Madieu/JJ in the secondary.

I really don't see anyone that sticks out in FA that would make good sense to grab up right now. Maybe a CB but Marvin has said he prefers them via the draft because of the price.

UtepMiner
02-02-2007, 01:17 PM
What do you think the chances are of the Bengals taking another Cornerback in the first round again this year?

I wanted to give them a DE, but most of the top ones are off the board the only really 1st round talent left is Jarvis Moss in my mock right now..

if they did take another corner which one would fit them best? Revis? Hall? McCauley? other? and how would they play him, as a replacement for O'Neal or James? or would they try to ease him in by playing him in nickel packages early on?

PalmerToCJ
02-02-2007, 02:46 PM
Tory James is likely gone. I think if we don't address CB via FA (which I doubt we do) then we take one round 1 or 2 then start them in the nickel and before the end of the year they start over Deltha (ala Johnathan Joseph this year).

Hall I don't think would fit, Marvin loves speed and Hall just doesn't have it for man coverage. I think Revis is a good fit, McCauley might be but the value isn't there at 18. Chris Houston I think would really fit in well.

Jarvis Moss is a possibility.

PalmerToCJ
02-02-2007, 08:25 PM
Interesting read... Says a lot. Sam Adams was vocal last night about the character problems.

Brown says off-field woes will alter Bengals draft

CINCINNATI — After watching nine of his players get arrested in the past 13 months, Cincinnati Bengals president Mike Brown said Friday that the team would change its approach on draft day.
"There may be some gifted athletes we won't pick that we might have picked a year ago," Brown said on Friday, a day that one of Brown's players, wide receiver Chris Henry, spent in jail in Kentucky.

Kenton County Judge Douglas Grothaus sentenced Henry to two days in jail for giving alcohol to minors in a Covington hotel room last year. The judge called Henry a "cancer."

Henry's sentencing came three days after cornerback Johnathan Joseph, the team's No. 1 draft pick in 2006, was arrested in Boone County for marijuana possession.

In all, six of the Bengals' 16 draft picks in the 2005 and 2006 classes have been arrested since the start of the 2006 calendar year.

"I've never thought the word 'cancer' was appropriate for a human being," Brown told Bronson.

"People aren't cancerous. They misbehave. I would not use that word. But he deserved to be scolded and it did not displease me that the judge did that. We're trying to do the same thing with Chris, to send a message to other players."

Brown and his head coach, Marvin Lewis, have declined to be interviewed this week about Joseph's arrest, Henry's sentencing or the trend of off-field trouble. In fact, since Lewis' hiring in January 2003, Brown no longer grants interview requests except in rare occasions.

The Bengals now have a 24-hour line that their players can call for a ride, he said.

Brown also said the league and players union limit team discipline.

"There's only so much we can do in these situations," Brown said. Because of NFL and players union rules, "We can't act as forcefully as we did in the past. ... Our hands are tied. We can't fine, sanction or fire a player."

Lewis, like other NFL head coaches, does have disciplinary powers with players available under the heading "Conduct detrimental to club," as spelled out in the league's collective bargaining agreement with the players union.

Clubs may suspend a player for a period up to four weeks but not to exceed four weeks, according to the binding agreement. A club/coach also can fine a player "an amount equal to one week's salary."

Henry had a base salary of $310,000 in 2006, and each of his 17 weekly game checks was worth $18,235.

Lewis disciplined starting tailback Rudi Johnson and linebacker Odell Thurman in separate games in 2005. Lewis made the players sit out the first series for breaking unspecific team rules. Lewis repeated the move for Johnson this past season, not starting him in the San Diego game.

In terms of possible NFL discipline, Henry could be suspended for four games in the 2007 season for a second violation of the league's substance abuse policy. Henry already has one strike against him for a guilty plea in a marijuana possession case in 2005 in Kenton County. If NFL commissioner Roger Goodell decides that Henry's latest plea in Kenton County on Thursday is a second violation of the policy, he gets the four-game vacation without pay.

Still, Brown anticipates that Henry will be back for a third season with the Bengals in 2007.

"I don't think it's wrong to give people a chance and that includes Chris Henry," Brown said. "He has paid a real price for it in his personal life and for us, and I don't abandon hope for him at all."

Thurman is serving a one-year suspension for a third violation of the substance abuse policy. Brown referred to Thurman and Henry as "broken records" in his interview with Bronson.

"Everyone here is fed up with this including Marvin and me, and we want it to stop," Brown said.

Last year Marvin said it, but this year the owner is saying it and we had more problems so it's not happening again.

themaninblack
02-02-2007, 10:27 PM
i would really like to see bazuin in orange and black in the second.

first could be alot of different people most likely imo: carriker, okoye, griffin, landry, moses, moss or a cb. okoye would be the dream pick if he were to fall and i really like griffin i think he is a safety marvin would like.

rickscott
02-03-2007, 05:12 PM
I think Bazuin would be an excellent choice but with no 3rd rd pick, I don't see us taking him in Rd 2. I'd love to see us get one of the top Safeties in Rd 1 and maybe a Fred Bennett in Rd 2. Ideally, maybe a trade down to about 24-25 could get us a 3rd rd pick back and then we could get another valuable defensive player or maybe that long lost TE everyone thinks about.

moto
02-05-2007, 01:55 PM
Chris Houston I think would really fit in well.
Houston will likely shoot up to the first round and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we snatched him up at 18. He is the best physical corner in this draft and if you team him up with Joseph, your looking at one of the best CB tandems for years to come!

PalmerToCJ
02-05-2007, 02:09 PM
Chris Houston I think would really fit in well.
Houston will likely shoot up to the first round and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we snatched him up at 18. He is the best physical corner in this draft and if you team him up with Joseph, your looking at one of the best CB tandems for years to come!

Agreed, I think Houston is one of the most underrated CB's in this draft and he has way more potential than Hall. If Revis wasn't there I wouldn't be ashamed to take Houston. No way he reaches the 2nd so deep like some people have him.

Looks like Carson will be the next QB to be tagged with the "can't win the big one" idea. Best QB without a ring, heisman winner on a team the media loves the talk about...

Next year could be our year, health and the draft could dictate a lot of it.

moto
02-05-2007, 02:10 PM
Yeah, I don't think Palmer deserve that label yet, but you know the co called "experts" are going to give it to them.

He'll just have to go out there and dominate the league! 8)

PalmerToCJ
02-05-2007, 02:30 PM
Yeah, he doesn't deserve it yet but if we make the playoffs next year and don't win it all that's when the talk will start. He's a golden boy so they have to have something to talk about.

I think Carson is going to have a chance to be among the best when all is said and done.

The Broncos/Steelers games told me a lot about him, although we lost them he led the team on monsterous late game drives which could have brought us to the win.

Funny that I think he didn't have that great of a year and he threw 28 TD's and over 4,000 yards :lol:

themaninblack
02-06-2007, 05:28 PM
carson palmers new nickname should be "the truth".

PalmerToCJ
02-06-2007, 09:28 PM
I think the new mock is... meh.

themaninblack
02-06-2007, 11:08 PM
i like carriker but im not for DL in the 1st round. i think the bust factor is way too high the only ones i would take round 1 are okoye, moses, moss, or charles johnson(trade down get a 3rd round pick).

PalmerToCJ
02-07-2007, 11:02 AM
i like carriker but im not for DL in the 1st round. i think the bust factor is way too high the only ones i would take round 1 are okoye, moses, moss, or charles johnson(trade down get a 3rd round pick).

Agreed about the bust factor. Plus it's easier to find a playmaker via LB or S in the first.

I like Moss, Okoye and Johnson... I'm not sure Moses has very good value (as of right now anyway) at 18. Plus Johnson is a much better 4-3 DE.

Ideally by some miracle Landry or Nelson fall back to us.

Willis and Griffin might be wildcards pending what they do at the combine.

BengalsPwn
02-07-2007, 11:46 AM
Scott's mock is like the greatest possible draft ever. A great high motor guy who can play 4-3 DE and DT on passing downs and play 3-4 DE on the occasionally times we play it. Also we get a nice safety prospect who probably would be a first rounder if not for the character issues. There is a high bust factor for ever position. For every Ryan Sims theres a Kevin Williams. You think CB and S cant bust, or LB? Just look at Antrel Rolle, Carlos Rogers, and Jason Allen they were all picked before 18 and there all either #2's or backups. Or just look at last years first round LB's, other than Manny Lawson, none of them played up too there draft picks value.

moto
02-07-2007, 12:12 PM
I love the pick of Carriker. But the only way I see us taking him is if the Bengals let Smith walk...Carriker would be an excellent replacement, though...

deyebc
02-07-2007, 01:05 PM
There's no way we want Carriker at DE in a 4-3....how many 300 lb DE's can rush the passer???(Besides R. White)

PalmerToCJ
02-07-2007, 01:14 PM
There's no way we want Carriker at DE in a 4-3....how many 300 lb DE's can rush the passer???(Besides R. White)

Word.

If we swap to 3-4 I'm not against it but I think Thornton/Robinson/Peko would be decent 3-4 ends.

I'd still rather have a top S over a DE in the 1st.

themaninblack
02-07-2007, 03:07 PM
i would be happy with carriker if he is a solid pass rusher. versatility is a big thing with marvin and to have carriker and pollack back(hopefully) it would be scary what kind of looks we could give.

d34ng3l021
02-08-2007, 09:33 PM
Hey. Giving big extensions to your guyses OT shows that your FO cares about your OL but you have one good OG that will be heading into FA...What are the chances you think Steinbach will get an extension? Will he try to follow Hue Jackson (I hope.)?

PalmerToCJ
02-08-2007, 10:51 PM
Hey. Giving big extensions to your guyses OT shows that your FO cares about your OL but you have one good OG that will be heading into FA...What are the chances you think Steinbach will get an extension? Will he try to follow Hue Jackson (I hope.)?

Word is he's our top priority in FA, we'll see. Chicago seems to be the biggest threat but who knows. I'd give it a 40% chance we re-sign him.

PalmerToCJ
02-08-2007, 10:53 PM
Some good Chad quotes at the pro bowl...

The serious:
Chad Johnson, the man who wanted to build a house in Hawaii because of all the Pro Bowls he would attend, is ready to move on after four.

“It’s nice, but it’s the same old same old,” said Johnson from the beachfront hotel that houses the best in the game this week. “I need a (Super Bowl) ring. I’ve done everything else I’ve wanted to do. There’s nothing else left.”

But Johnson’s mind seemed back in Miami on the Super Bowl. Maybe that’s because Wednesday was the day Colts receivers Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne showed up for the first time in the receiving line, fresh off the win over the Bears. Johnson knows Indy well and it makes it that harder to take.

“We should be there. Especially when you know our team can play like that,” Johnson said. “They were just more consistent than us. That’s all it is. When they had bad games, they were still good. When we had bad games, we were bad, you know what I mean? We can’t be that up and down. We’ve got to be more consistent. That’s all. We’ll be all right.”

“I had some goals and I’ve done them all,” Johnson said. “Now the only one left is the big one. This is nice, but …”

The funny:

What’s left?

“Man, there’s only one thing,” said Johnson, although snippets of the NFL Network’s live coverage of the AFC practice Wednesday exposed him fervently lobbying Patriots head coach Bill Belichick to play even more cornerback.

“One play every quarter,” confirmed Johnson triumphantly after practice. “My style is a little like Deion (Sanders), because he’s smart and speed like Champ (Bailey) and D. Hall (DeAngelo Hall) and, I don’t know, the quickness of a cat.”

PalmerToCJ
02-09-2007, 03:17 PM
We're sticking to the 4-3, straight out of the horses mouth.

n Friday’s post Super Bowl sitdown with Bengals.com, Lewis said he’s sticking with the 4-3 defense and his belief that he can’t run it while also being the head coach.

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5882

Good read.

Tory James is officially gone, Justin Smith may get the franchise tag, Odell hasn't been ruled out. Blamed WR blocking for Rudi's lackluster season.

Also indicated we won't go big in FA, not surprising. No mention of Steinbach, he just said we'd be successful by signing our own.

themaninblack
02-09-2007, 09:25 PM
lackluster and he still had 1000 yards right? wasn't anything great but 1000 is 1000. i was gonna post this article but you got it for me man! answered alot of questions. Guess carriker is prolly out the equation, CB is definetly gonna happen, i hope steiny is back, and were still goin to get a DE. I hope we do franchise smith just so he can help out some guys for a year, wouldn't mind seeing him around for awhile either. While he hasn't lived up to his billing, hes a solid high motor guy who is valuable to our team for the right price. i really think he should ask pollack whats up on some pass rushing moves, he still has room to develop his game in that way.

PalmerToCJ
02-09-2007, 11:35 PM
Well, the 3.8 YPC was what was only average, lackluster wasn't the right word I suppose.... He was above average as a whole but not what we expected and had become used to.

Personally I think Steinbach may be more valuable to the team than Smith. Depends on what Marvin thinks Rucker can do I suppose, thing about losing Steinbach is we don't have to address guard day one because of Whitworth.

I agree that Carriker isn't an option really anymore. A.) If we re-sign Smith and B.) We won't be 3-4 so he isn't as valuable.

I'm almost hoping we trade up to get Landry if he falls far enough, I think he could be a game changer and impact offender we need.

rickscott
02-10-2007, 05:18 PM
No matter what happens with this draft, if we are lucky enough to get Pollack and Odell back, that would be like a draft bonanza anyway. I think we'll see Brooks in the middle from day one this year and he'll be our starter at MLB. I guess we'll hang on to Simmons but to me, he's always been so-so. I would not mind a LBer in Rd 1 as I am tired of seeing our lean bakcers (Johnson and Miller) get dragged down the field. CB is a necessity now very early. I'd love to see us drop a few slots and pick that lost 3rd rd choice back up.

themaninblack
02-10-2007, 06:41 PM
i hope we do move down and pick up some1 like micheal griffin or maybe a LBer like jon beason or paul posluzny. that would be great so we can get that 3rd rd pick back.

PalmerToCJ
02-10-2007, 11:38 PM
I'd like to see Griffin more, if he runs a good combine he might be the guy.

A saftey in the 1st then CB in the 2nd would be nice.

I don't think saftey is our biggest need but there are a lot of playmakers at saftey and Landry/Nelson/Griffin are a solid trio... I don't think the quality at LB is enough in the 1st anyway to warrant a pick, Willis seems to have more value in the mid 20's.

Ahmad in the middle, Jeanty at SLB and Landon at WLB isn't the worst case scenario.

Best case though without a doubt would be:

WLB Landon Johnson MLB Odell Thurman SLB Ahmad Brooks.

Now THAT is a LB core with a solid tackling machine in Landon and playmakers in Ahmad/Odell.

rickscott
02-11-2007, 10:24 AM
I'd personally be real happy with the addition of Griffin, Landry or Nelson in Rd 1 and then the top available CB in Rd 2. That would solidify our def backfield for years to come. At least we would have 1 area of the defense that looked strong.

HawkeyeFan
02-11-2007, 12:01 PM
I have two questions for you Bengal fans if you could answer then please.

1. Justin Smith... The Rams have shown interest in signing him to compliment Leonard Little:
KFNS 590 in St. Louis reports "there had been speculation" that the Rams would be interested in free agent DE Justin Smith before reports out of Cincinnati surfaced that he's likely to be franchise tagged.
It's hardly a lock that Smith will be franchised after Cincy signed Robert Geathers for $33.7 million in January.
Now I'm wondering if the Rams signed Justin Smith that he'd be a good compliment to Leonard Little at the Right Defensive End?

2. Odell Thurman... I know he's been into some legal trouble but can he play the SAM backer?

Thank you!

Bengals78
02-11-2007, 12:12 PM
I have two questions for you Bengal fans if you could answer then please.

1. Justin Smith... The Rams have shown interest in signing him to compliment Leonard Little:
KFNS 590 in St. Louis reports "there had been speculation" that the Rams would be interested in free agent DE Justin Smith before reports out of Cincinnati surfaced that he's likely to be franchise tagged.
It's hardly a lock that Smith will be franchised after Cincy signed Robert Geathers for $33.7 million in January.
Now I'm wondering if the Rams signed Justin Smith that he'd be a good compliment to Leonard Little at the Right Defensive End?

2. Odell Thurman... I know he's been into some legal trouble but can he play the SAM backer?

Thank you!

To answer the Odell question, I personally think he is best fit in the middle right were he is/was. Is he good enough to play sam? yes. Will he be as successful? no.

Its been awhile since my last post, and Im thrilled to see more Bengals on the Okoye bandwagon.

I think we are gonna resign EITHER Smith or Steinbach. I dont see us signing both. I want Okoye in the first or a CB that isnt named Marcus McCauley.

themaninblack
02-11-2007, 02:35 PM
its gonna be steinbach if that is the case. I wonder what St. Louis would offer for Jsmith, we could definetly get our third round pick and maybe another one out of him.

edge_V
02-11-2007, 04:33 PM
nice to meet you fellow bengals fans. i am new to this board and am looking forward to reading about all of your opinions about the draft.

personaly i would love to see the bengals take okoye in the first then buster davis or h.b blades in the second (assuming the are the best LB's still avalible). although i know that taking one of these line backers in the 2nd might be too early i beleave they both have a high chance of being play makers in the nfl despite their size.

i would also like to see us take patrick willis in the first if okoye is not their and then a corner in the second.

your thoughts?

PalmerToCJ
02-11-2007, 04:46 PM
Yes! Another Bengals fan, I'll take all that we can get.

Some very interesting clippings I found today...

The Bengals are reportedly not talking to free agent OL Eric Steinbach.
With coach Marvin Lewis prepared to stay in a 4-3 defense, the odds of Justin Smith being franchised have increased, and now there's virtually no chance Steinbach will wear the $9.556 million tag for linemen. It's safe to say Steinbach is a longshot to be back in orange and black in 2007.

ESPN's Len Pasquarelli reports the Bengals may release Deltha O'Neal this offseason and address the cornerback position in the NFL Draft.
Cincy is already set to lose free agent Tory James and took Johnathan Joseph in the '06 first round but O'Neal's play is declining and he was arrested for DUI in December. The Bengals are tinkering with the idea of moving Madieu Williams to corner and this draft is deep at the position.

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis wouldn't rule out hanging onto suspended middle linebacker Odell Thurman at a press conference Friday.
This is a 180 from the stance he and owner Mike Brown took directly after last season. Lewis also confirmed the team will keep its 4-3 defense, so he can't be sold that Ahmad Brooks is the answer at the MIKE spot. Thurman will likely have to compete to start, but odds are he'd win. (basically what we knew already from the interview but some more analysis)

Looks like Houston or Revis in the 1st if Landry/Nelson aren't there and Griffin doesn't interest them.

It's a shame to see Steinbach go but IMO it's best for the team as a whole to keep Smith instead because of cost and we won't have to take a DE early.

Smith and his agent have also said that he would play under the tag. Maybe Marvin wants to do this in order to see if Rucker has what it takes to be a starter in '08.

I think Odell will play next year and hopefully start at MLB with Ahmad at SLB.

Bengals78
02-11-2007, 04:56 PM

That linebacker tandem = :D

PalmerToCJ
02-11-2007, 05:06 PM

You ain't kidding man... That is just sick.

To have the two of them, JJ, whoever we draft at CB or S, Madieu and our Dline is slowly becoming at least decent we might finally crack top 15 defense.

Bengals78
02-11-2007, 05:19 PM

You ain't kidding man... That is just sick.

To have the two of them, JJ, whoever we draft at CB or S, Madieu and our Dline is slowly becoming at least decent we might finally crack top 15 defense.

If we draft smart *cough* okoye & weddle/rouse*cough* i think our defense is top 15 pushin top 10. If we resign Smith to help anchor the line. Rotate Adams & Peko, Thorton & Okoye. And add in a linebacker core of Brooks, Thurman, Johnson/Simmons/Geanty/Miller (all 4 can play well) and Madieu and Jackson/Draft pick at safety then JJ and Dealtha/ FA or draft pick

no matter what pos. we draft i think we can have a solid non-bungle defense

PalmerToCJ
02-11-2007, 05:24 PM
Well, I don't see Okoye there at 18 therefore I think CB is the pick (Revis/Houston) then hopefully Rouse in the 2nd.

I just know when Marvin looks at the tape he'll have a man crush on Rouse because of his size/speed and because he considered drafting Thomas Howard last year and converting him to S I see Rouse as a Marvin type player no doubt.

Then Ahmad/Odell/Landon is a solid starting LB core. Simmons/Jeanty/Miller are more than adequate backups.

We won't have Tory James at CB so that automatically makes us way better. If Geathers can continue to improve along with Peko then we could have a solid D.

A lot of it depends on what we do with Odell though... Too much talent to make him sit.

Bengals78
02-11-2007, 05:33 PM
I only say Okoye because I saw him play a lot and love his work ethic and personality & character. Cant Complain about him. I would love to get Revis in the first then a safety in RD 2. Those are my top spots we need to fix. Okoye is just too rare a prospect to pass.

edge_V
02-11-2007, 08:42 PM
it would be great to get Odell back if he can get his head out of his ass and stay clean!

but i would hate to see us let go of deltha. imo i think he can rebound from last year and once again be a solid corner.

but keeping these players meens we should realy focus on character durring this draft

themaninblack
02-11-2007, 08:56 PM
i trust odell will be all cleaned up for this year and if he isn't the opening day starter i'd be suprised, he'll definetly take the spot over though. i think he is a good young man who just made a mistake and i think he knows that. I hope david pollack gave him a good talking to because he is the type of person/player that odell should try to be and i think he has a big influence on him. if we get odell and pollack back eventually the LB crew would just be disgusting, pollack-odell-brooks would be the ideal group but if pollack can't come back landon johnson is still "the silent assassin" and his game will only improve. I wouldn't be suprised in the least if Rashad Jeanty challenged for a spot as well. marvin's drafting has been superb as far as talent goes, they just need to be able to be on the field. Ahmad Brooks is a man-child who could be the next LT.

PalmerToCJ
02-11-2007, 09:01 PM
The way I see it happening is Odell plays with the 3rd team in preseason then by say week 5 or 6 takes over for Simmons at MLB. Marvin will probably get Ahmad at SLB with the intention of bringing Odell back to the middle. I really don't think Odell is that bad of a person he's just made some terrible mistakes. He definetely didn't do as many dumb things as Henry and didn't have an incident with police like Mcneal (who I would rather have just get cut).

Jeanty seems to have great instincts, he's great in run D. I think he's just lacking the physical skills that Ahmad/Odell have.

If we could have Ahmad/Odell in the starting lineup next year that alone would be like having a very successful draft.

I swear, I get all hot and bothered just thinking about having Ahmad and Odell back there... That would be the mean streak our defense needs. Both guys can make big momentum plays/hits that can give this D the backbone that they need.

I want to keep Deltha but only as a stop-gap for the corner we draft this year so that we don't have to start two young corners from day one.

themaninblack
02-11-2007, 09:34 PM
ya i dont see the logic behind letting him go, he could still come back and prove he's a good corner and last year was a fluke. we need him at least for 1 year in order to help out a young guy coming in.

rickscott
02-12-2007, 03:56 PM
I think O'Neal will be beack and be a help this year too. I also think that Odell will be relagated to a sub for some time until he proves he can be counted on. That may take awhile. I see Brooks as our MLB of the future

themaninblack
02-12-2007, 09:36 PM
i would rather see brooks outside because i doubt he is as good as odell is in the middle. he has insane potential and he can succeed at any of the LB positions but i think odell's only position is MLB. id rather have both on the field than just brooks in the middle.

PalmerToCJ
02-12-2007, 10:09 PM
Agreed. Ahmad can play all 7 LB positions and Odell is without a doubt best used at MLB. Ahmad I think would also be best suited to blitz from the outside, he just needs to work on his coverage.

Bengals78
02-12-2007, 10:19 PM
Agreed. Ahmad can play all 7 LB positions and Odell is without a doubt best used at MLB. Ahmad I think would also be best suited to blitz from the outside, he just needs to work on his coverage.

yeah he tends to over pursue sometimes as well. expected rookie stuff though.

pablovagne
02-13-2007, 07:40 AM
What do u guys think about looking at timmons in the first round, or posluszny in the 2nd round if we take a CB first. Also, I was wondering about maybe signing mike lewis or doss in the offseason and letting them get mentored by dexter. Lemme know what you guys think. I'm just trying to get into the swing of things since i just created my account.
I think our weak side linebacker depth isnt that talented and that landon is a backup at best even tho he showed the most heart this season.

edge_V
02-13-2007, 10:26 AM
i would love to get Poz in the second round. he is a very instinctive LB and a potential leader. although it would be great to get odell back he still has to earn his way back and i do not want to get ahead of myself by saying that there is a 100% chance he will be back let alone be the team leader. i also believe Poz is a very good character guy who would be a steal in the second round

edge_V
02-13-2007, 10:29 AM
if anyone could tell how to get that little picture thing next to your name that would be great

themaninblack
02-13-2007, 04:46 PM
i like timmons and poz but i REALLY want charles johnson and we may be able to get him in the first while trading down and picking up a third round pick. charles johnson and robert geathers with ahmad brooks, odell, pollack(hopefully) and/or landon with domata peko and shaun smith stuffing the middle would be the most insane front 7 ever assembled.

PaX1
02-13-2007, 04:51 PM
I heard a rumor on my cardinal board that you guys might be letting deltha oneal walk. Is there any truth to this?

themaninblack
02-13-2007, 05:37 PM
it's possible but i don't see it happening, i would totally disagree with it because we need him for at least one more year.

PalmerToCJ
02-13-2007, 09:22 PM
I really don't see Deltha getting cut... Marvin said himself that he felt he could turn back around next season.

I think everyone underrates Landon. He's one of our more consistant LB's, granted he's not a playmaker but he never shows up on the injury list and just flat out makes tackles. Marvin said he's one of our top priorities in the offseason so don't expect him to get replaced anytime soon.

I love Charles Johnson but with us probably taking Justin Smith I don't see him happening.

I'm against Poz/Timmons... I think it's either MLB or nothing day one. Jeanty is decent enough at SLB and Ahmad will play SLB if Odell comes back, plus you have Pollack maybe in the mix as well. I just don't see it happening. They aren't good enough value at 18 to warrant the pick IMO.

I'm almost sure it'll be CB or S round one. We need a #2 CB and Revis can be a PR as well, then maybe Griffin catches Marvin's eye or Landry falls.

themaninblack
02-14-2007, 01:02 AM
its final i want griffin, landry, or charles johnson 1st round. no one else unless someone like okoye falls.

PalmerToCJ
02-14-2007, 01:44 PM
its final i want griffin, landry, or charles johnson 1st round. no one else unless someone like okoye falls.

What about Revis? He's a solid CB with speed and he's a PR. Chris Houston may work his way up that far as well.

Landry is the dream pick.

Bengals78
02-14-2007, 02:18 PM

What about Revis? He's a solid CB with speed and he's a PR. Chris Houston may work his way up that far as well.

I like Revis. I can say with about 95% confidence that the Bengals will address the Secondary with the first round. 4% of the remaining 5% is Okoye falling to 18 and that last 1% is some shocker pick.

PalmerToCJ
02-14-2007, 03:00 PM

I like Revis. I can say with about 95% confidence that the Bengals will address the Secondary with the first round. 4% of the remaining 5% is Okoye falling to 18 and that last 1% is some shocker pick.

Agreed. I wouldn't be surprised if we went CB then S in the second.

Bengals78
02-14-2007, 04:08 PM
Okay, this is prob. old news, but Kiper has us taking Leon Hall at number 18. This is with Revis, Nelson and some other DBs on the board.
So my main point is for the Bengals:

Nelson or Hall?

PalmerToCJ
02-14-2007, 04:25 PM
Wow, he has us passing Nelson? No way. He can play CB/S, can support the run or pass protect as a saftey.... He's the perfect fit.

I don't think Hall has the speed Marvin likes out of a corner. They do a great job of teaching technique but you can't teach speed, I don't think Hall has much upside.

If it was between Hall/Revis I think Revis gets the nod easy. Fast and can be a PR as well.

Bengals78
02-14-2007, 04:31 PM
yeah, but doesnt Nelson have a questionable intelligence level? could be one reason. I know Hall doesnt have the speed, but thats just timed speed as of right now. I didnt get to see many of his games (I live in SW Ohio) so I do not know if his game speed is that slow to.
I was away from the board for awhile but what is with people suggesting Puz or any other OLB? Our LB's were not our biggest problem.

PalmerToCJ
02-14-2007, 04:48 PM
Hall doesn't have very good in game recovery speed (kinda like Tory James :lol: ) and I don't expect much timed speed out of him either.

I'm not big on LB. Unless we keep Smith maybe in the 2nd if one of the WLB's are left but I don't see Marvin wanting to take anyone to replace Landon. Landon is an adequate starter and if we develop Ahmad and let Odell back he'll be more than fine in that scenario. We have great depth at LB but not at saftey. KK is a good backup but I don't want him being our 16 game starter when DJax leaves.

themaninblack
02-14-2007, 05:06 PM

i havent looked into him enough but if you say so i believe it. i wanna know where i can get full-game film on some top guys. like where does scott get all his stuff?

PalmerToCJ
02-14-2007, 05:37 PM

i havent looked into him enough but if you say so i believe it. i wanna know where i can get full-game film on some top guys. like where does scott get all his stuff?

You talking about Landry?

Here's a highlight clip of him....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bip9KlMxd04

BengalsPwn
02-14-2007, 06:34 PM
I just hope that we go D-Line in the first. The only reason why our pass defense was so bad is bc we had NO pressure on the QB. Last year the lack of pass rush was fine bc the offense always put up a big lead so the defense knew the other team would pass. The offense was very inconsistent this year so that had the defense focusing on the run and pass. I hope that we dont franchise Justin bc honestly he just has no pass rush moves. I want Carriker, Moss, or Moses in the first. Carriker is the best fit of all bc he could play 4-3 DE on first and second down and move in to DT on third and have a guy like Jeanty come in and be a pass rush specialist. Geathers did that a couple years ago and did ok, but he really wasnt meant to do that. Carriker definitely has the size to do it. And just bc we arnt moving to the 3-4 doesnt mean Carriker isnt a good fit. He's played 4-3 DE his whole career at Nebraska. Im not to fond of Johnson either bc he doesnt have that elite speed off the edge and doesnt have the size you look for in a DE 6'4"+. Name a good 4-3 DE that is short and doesnt have elite speed.

PalmerToCJ
02-14-2007, 10:03 PM
Justin Smith was top 15 in hurries + sacks... It surprised me too but the pass rush was improved this year. Tory James starting is what killed us, he got burned constantly on 3rd downs and long balls. DJax is decent but he got burned a few times as well on players he should've covered.

If we do franchise Justin I don't see how we can go DL if Okoye isn't there.

We'd have massive money tied up in Smith/Geathers... How could you justify another DE?

Ahmad at SLB would improve our pass rush alone.

themaninblack
02-14-2007, 11:00 PM

You talking about Landry?

Here's a highlight clip of him....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bip9KlMxd04

no revis. i dont want to see a highlight tape really i would like to see a full game but thats prolly not possible. i love landry w/o a doubt.

did u say ur not fond of charles johnson? i would like to know why.

PalmerToCJ
02-14-2007, 11:22 PM
On Bengals.com it has an article about Sam Adams.

Evidently his playing weight last year was 350-360 because he couldn't burn it off due to his bum knee which he hurt the 3rd preseason game vs. the Packers.

That'd be a big addition alone if he could be mildly healthy next year.

themaninblack
02-14-2007, 11:33 PM
ya that was a good read. id like to see that attitude from some more people namely odell, henry, and deltha.

Bengals78
02-14-2007, 11:35 PM
a healthy sam adams would be great.
i was thinking, what free agents should we go after sans our own.

themaninblack
02-14-2007, 11:42 PM
i think marvin kinda ruled FA's out of the equation. we just need to continue to draft well and just avoid some guys we would have previously chosen.

Bengals78
02-14-2007, 11:43 PM
i wouldnt rule it out 100%.
im just throwing this out there, but Kris Jenkins is a possible FA.
I know he is injury prone but he is a playmaker

edge_V
02-15-2007, 11:52 AM
how much do you think nick harper would cost? he is a solid corner and he would be cheaper than samuel or clement. just curious to see if you guys think this would work

FootballGod
02-15-2007, 12:02 PM
The only way we sign Harper is if we are planning to cut Deltha along with the move. Even if we do this I think CB and Safety are still pressing needs in the first round. I think that mt pre combine pick would have to be Revis as of now. It might change next week though. Lets put it this way Hall, Revis, Nelson, or Landry will have to be there when we pick so I think we are in good hands. P.S. I hate Hall because he is to slow. Cover 2 corner maybe?

PalmerToCJ
02-15-2007, 12:07 PM
I completely agree with everything you just said FootballGod, especially about Hall.

My current favorite is Revis as well.

As far as the FA's go I agree about Jenkins, that could be a possibility but I don't think there are very many players even worth it anyway.

We got Tory via FA and that worked out pretty decent for a few years, he was good as a #2 anyway but I think given the value of CB day 1 that the draft is the best route to go for that.

My first round favorite is Revis, my 2nd round favorite is Aaron Rouse.

FootballGod
02-15-2007, 12:18 PM
I have heard so many different reports about Rouse. Is he really fast enough to play Safety in the NFL? I have heard that he may be a better OLB because of his large size. What do you think?

cardsfanmd
02-15-2007, 02:45 PM
I have heard so many different reports about Rouse. Is he really fast enough to play Safety in the NFL? I have heard that he may be a better OLB because of his large size. What do you think?

Rouse Reminds me alot of Thomas Davis for the Panthers I think Lewis was going to take him but Panters got to him first I think he can Play S and LB postion

BengalsPwn
02-15-2007, 04:04 PM
This sucks Justin just got the franchise tag. Hopefully this is a part of a sign and trade to the rams or something. Im tired of watching him get no pressure. I dont know why you guys hate Hall so much. I wouldnt be surprised if he ran faster than Revis, Ross, and McCauley. He's got speed and was pretty dominate this season. You guys need to watch him play more than the Rose Bowl. And he only got burned like 2 times this whole year. I would take Hall over any corner in this draft. He is the only CB I see that would be worth taking at 18. Nelson or Landry at 18 would be nice and I actually believe one of them will be there. But I would much rather see a D-Linemen there. Like I said I dont like Charles Johnson bc he is short and slow. Name one good DE that is under 6'3" and runs a 4.7+ 40 yard dash. Im not fond of Woodley either. The only good short DE's in the league are Freeney and Mathis and both run like 4.5 40's. Elvis Dumervil had a decent season last year and meets the requirement but he was a rookie and is a third down DE only. Also he completely dominated the college ranks racking up like 20 sacks his senior year. Johnson had a first round prospect opposite him and had a decent year. I wouldnt want to waste a first rounder on a third down DE.

Bengals78
02-15-2007, 04:13 PM
who else is excited? Revis in Scotts new mock. Finally a pick I agree with for us.

Bengals78
02-15-2007, 04:32 PM
This sucks Justin just got the franchise tag. Hopefully this is a part of a sign and trade to the rams or something. Im tired of watching him get no pressure. I dont know why you guys hate Hall so much. I wouldnt be surprised if he ran faster than Revis, Ross, and McCauley. He's got speed and was pretty dominate this season. You guys need to watch him play more than the Rose Bowl. And he only got burned like 2 times this whole year. I would take Hall over any corner in this draft. He is the only CB I see that would be worth taking at 18. Nelson or Landry at 18 would be nice and I actually believe one of them will be there. But I would much rather see a D-Linemen there. Like I said I dont like Charles Johnson bc he is short and slow. Name one good DE that is under 6'3" and runs a 4.7+ 40 yard dash. Im not fond of Woodley either. The only good short DE's in the league are Freeney and Mathis and both run like 4.5 40's. Elvis Dumervil had a decent season last year and meets the requirement but he was a rookie and is a third down DE only. Also he completely dominated the college ranks racking up like 20 sacks his senior year. Johnson had a first round prospect opposite him and had a decent year. I wouldnt want to waste a first rounder on a third down DE.

what are you talking about? Smith being tagged is GOOD. What games were you watching? He was among leaders in QB pressures. He is finally starting to be as good as he should be with some assistance on the line. Smith is very talented. Who would we trade Smith for on the Rams that would be worth losing our best DL for?

Just out of curiosity, who do you think we should draft?

BengalsPwn
02-15-2007, 06:26 PM
Geathers is by far the best DE on the team. I would hope we could get like a 3rd rounder for him. My perfect draft (realistically) would have us drafting Adam Carriker at 18. Like stated a few posts up he has the versatility to play both end and tackle. Our secondary is not that bad. As of now we have JJ and Deltha at the starting corners w/ Keiwan as the nickel. I would much rather have Keiwan starting and Deltha as the nickel and our secondary is fine. As long as we can produce pressure w/ just 5 guys our pass defense should be fine. Too many times there were 6-7 guys blitzing, at that ineffectively, and making our pass defense look horrible. To be honest I think the biggest issues is the coordinators on both sides of the ball. I would love it if both were fired. Then maybe the team would be utilized better. The offense being inconsistent stemmed directly from the bad play calling and the defense was always out of place.

FootballGod
02-15-2007, 06:28 PM
Hall was a product of playing slow big ten schools and having one of if not the best front seven in front of him. Hall will run a 4.48 I bet. Revis a 4.40 and McCauley a 4.375 bet on it.

FootballGod
02-15-2007, 06:30 PM
Geathers is by far the best DE on the team. I would hope we could get like a 3rd rounder for him. My perfect draft (realistically) would have us drafting Adam Carriker at 18. Like stated a few posts up he has the versatility to play both end and tackle. Our secondary is not that bad. As of now we have JJ and Deltha at the starting corners w/ Keiwan as the nickel. I would much rather have Keiwan starting and Deltha as the nickel and our secondary is fine. As long as we can produce pressure w/ just 5 guys our pass defense should be fine. Too many times there were 6-7 guys blitzing, at that ineffectively, and making our pass defense look horrible. To be honest I think the biggest issues is the coordinators on both sides of the ball. I would love it if both were fired. Then maybe the team would be utilized better. The offense being inconsistent stemmed directly from the bad play calling and the defense was always out of place.
Have you seen Keiwan play ever. He is as slow as Tory James. If he is so good then why is he not starting? It is because he is no good. Plain and simple. Nickle corner at best. He is not a starting anything in the NFL.

PalmerToCJ
02-15-2007, 08:43 PM
Have you seen Keiwan play ever. He is as slow as Tory James. If he is so good then why is he not starting? It is because he is no good. Plain and simple. Nickle corner at best. He is not a starting anything in the NFL.

Exactly. Keiwan somewhat has an eye for finding the ball but he's slow as molasses. He made a great play in the Buffalo preseason game then Marvin put him in at starter and a few plays later Lee Evans beat him by like 10 yards for a 70 something yard touchdown. Keiwan will never be a starting CB in a scheme like ours, we have to take a CB day one in fear of Deltha/JJ going down because that would mean Keiwan would have to start.

I'm not saying Hall won't be a solid corner. Just that he doesn't fit our defense. He has bad recovery speed (see old Tory James) and is more of a cover 2 guy, plus Marvin is all about speed on defense.

Revis has the speed we need and is a PR as well, I don't want much of anything to do with Hall.

Rouse 6'4 220 and IMO he'll run a high 4.4. He's got a mean streak that our defense needs and has great speed/size as a SS. He showed improving coverage skills at the senior bowl (2 picks in 7 on 7's). He kept up with Aundrae Allison (WR for East Carolina). I see no reason why he can't stick to saftey in the NFL. He's a little heavy but on his frame it's not that bad.

themaninblack
02-15-2007, 11:07 PM

charles johnson is by no means slow. i would not be suprised in the least if he runs faster than gaines adams, jamaal anderson, and quentin moses. and as far as him having a first round prospect opposite him while true means nothing. teams doubled charles johnson more than they double moses and he still had an amazing year as both a pass rusher and a run stuffer. IMO, we cannot pass this man up, he just absolutely abuses people in the mold of shawne merriman minus the roids. he's gonna run a 4.6, write it down, boy is a freak.

as far as hall is concerned i want nothing to do with him. he is just another overrated michigan DB.

i agree w/ palmer to cj about revis and rouse after seeing some film on them. both are outstanding atheletes that marvin would like. another guy i wouldnt mind seeing if we dont go CB round 1 is josh wilson, boy can run with anyone and with a good vet to help him could be outstanding.

Im happy we franchised smith, idc what anyone says we would only take a step backwards by letting him go. he's one of the better players on our defense and to let him go without getting some quality guys to replace him would be idiotic.

PalmerToCJ
02-15-2007, 11:30 PM
Smith is an above average player on a below average defense so how can you not keep him? Plus, it may buy a year to see if Frostee can be a starter when he's gone or if we need to go that route via the draft next year.

In addition to that it's a position that we don't have to address for the draft this year. We won't have to hesitate in sticking to the BPA policy.

themaninblack
02-15-2007, 11:39 PM
people who complain about justin smith are just naysayers.

Bengals78
02-16-2007, 06:09 AM

Because they jump the gun on a player based on his publicity.
Hell Id bet we could get some Bengals fans to turn on any player if you just cut out their media time.
Geathers is in no way our best DE. He is a liability against the run. He has shown potential to be our best DE but you can say he is now when he was used in a more situational role

PalmerToCJ
02-16-2007, 12:19 PM
With re-signing Justin Smith my new 1st round big board.

1. Nelson/Landry (only one has a chance of falling so whichever it was)
2. Darrelle Revis
3. Lawrence Timmons
4. Michael Griffin
5. Chris Houston

I think Timmons would be awesome but he'd have to be drafted with intentions of putting him at WLB in place of Landon and I don't see Marvin doing that. Maybe as a SLB but then that means Odell would be done. I think it'd be a big upgrade in pass coverage and pass rush to take him but I just don't see it happening if he's available at 18.

Revis helps our PR in place of Keiwan, we'll see what his combine numbers are here in a week.

Ravens1991
02-16-2007, 02:11 PM
With you guys franchising Smith does that mean Steinbach becomes a FA?

Bengals78
02-16-2007, 02:44 PM
most likely. about 98% likely.

PalmerToCJ
02-16-2007, 03:02 PM
most likely. about 98% likely.

Indeed. I'll up that to 99.7% :lol:

We aren't even talking with Steinbach right now.

Via our local paper, we all kinda expected it anyway:

Andrew Whitworth is expected to be the Bengals' left guard in 2007.
With Justin Smith franchised and little money left to spend, free agent Eric Steinbach will depart. Whitworth, a 2006 second-rounder, picked up 12 starts at blindside tackle as an injury fill-in for Levi Jones last season.

I wouldn't say we have little money to spend but we don't have enough to spend on Steinbach. Guards can be replaced, Levi Jones importance >>>>> Steinbach.

themaninblack
02-16-2007, 09:14 PM

Because they jump the gun on a player based on his publicity.
Hell Id bet we could get some Bengals fans to turn on any player if you just cut out their media time.
Geathers is in no way our best DE. He is a liability against the run. He has shown potential to be our best DE but you can say he is now when he was used in a more situational role

i concur, however with Geathers i don't think he is much of a liability against the run, he's one of the best in the NFL at chasing down an outside rush(ex. stopping deshaun foster on a sweep this season), but as for a straight on rush he is decent, but not really a liability. he's our best DE in that he can sack the QB and is decent against the run where as smith can't really sack the QB that well but is pretty darn good against the run.

PalmerToCJ
02-16-2007, 09:24 PM
I agree about Geathers. I wouldn't call him a liability... It's just that he isn't on Smiths level. He's amazing in space on the edge (see Foster and even though he didn't make the tackle on LT it was a great job). He's an extremely athletic DE that has a ton of potential as an every down DE... By no means is he a pass rusher only.

02-17-2007, 06:46 AM
any Bengals fan wanna join. http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35457

FootballGod
02-17-2007, 02:57 PM
any Bengals fan wanna join. http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35457
I got the Bengals for us guys. It should be fun. Check out the results sometime after March 1

PalmerToCJ
02-17-2007, 04:10 PM
I got the Bengals for us guys. It should be fun. Check out the results sometime after March 1

Good, we pretty much agree on anything so it'll be the same results only I won't have to bother with it :lol:

themaninblack
02-18-2007, 09:11 PM
man i swear all this board really does right now is make me miss watching the bengals MORE! anyone go to that open house theyve had the past few years?

PalmerToCJ
02-18-2007, 09:16 PM
It's almost combine time... Things are just gettin' good 8)

The sick thing is I got so used to the losing that I really started to get in the draft... The main year was when we took Simmons/TKO in the 1st round, ever since I've been hooked on the draft. I almost like it as much as the regular season :oops:

Bengals78
02-19-2007, 04:46 PM
Knowing we wont go DL or TE in the first day, if we do in later rounds, who would you hope we pick?

PalmerToCJ
02-19-2007, 04:56 PM
Knowing we wont go DL or TE in the first day, if we do in later rounds, who would you hope we pick?

I think TE will be round 5,6,7 if at all. I really don't have an opinion on any of them and I honestly doubt we even take one.

For DL I think we go that route any time day 2. Maybe Baraka Atkins in the 5th, Mkristo Bruce wouldn't be bad. I would expect a DE that could play run downs if anything. A lot depends on how/where Marvin plans to use Fanene, I think he likes him a lot.

Bengals78
02-19-2007, 05:17 PM
what about the kid from UC?
the homer in me

i like bruce. he seems like he could play DT on certain downs. Get him to bulk up he would be nice on passing downs at DT

PalmerToCJ
02-19-2007, 06:12 PM
what about the kid from UC?
the homer in me

i like bruce. he seems like he could play DT on certain downs. Get him to bulk up he would be nice on passing downs at DT

That's exactly why I could see us going Bruce/Atkins, it'd be nice to have a guy that could play outside to on run downs then move inside on 3rd and longs.

I was gonna say Celek as well but I have no idea how he is as a blocker... That's the most important feature.

Bengals78
02-19-2007, 07:20 PM
yeah we really dont need a pass catching TE too much but it could help on third and shorts. that gives us a play aside from rudi up the middle.

i think we should go
rd 1: CB
rd 2: S
rd 4: DL
From there we should just draft to fill spots we need extra depth

rickscott
02-19-2007, 07:44 PM
The TE from UC is Brent Celek and although he isn't considered a draftable player, more a free agent type, I can still remember him running away from everyone on the Rutgers team for about an 85 yd TD catch and run. It was something yet he's listed as a 4.85 guy. I'd like him as a free agent pickup. I think he's only listed in the upper 240s so he likely isn't much of a blocker

themaninblack
02-19-2007, 09:24 PM
i wouldn't mind drafting Celek in like the 6th or 7th round, give a local kid a shot. I'd love to see the Bengals go DL in the 3rd with Dan Bazuin if he's still around.

Bengals78
02-19-2007, 10:16 PM
i wouldn't mind drafting Celek in like the 6th or 7th round, give a local kid a shot. I'd love to see the Bengals go DL in the 3rd with Dan Bazuin if he's still around.
we have a third round pick?

PalmerToCJ
02-19-2007, 10:55 PM
we have a third round pick?

I think he meant 4th...

The way I hope it goes...

1. CB/S... Timmons if he's BPA, Okoye if he's there.
2. CB/S (Rouse/Bennett/Wilson)
4. Versatile DL guy/OL/RB
5. RB/OL/DL
6. PR/QB or whichever of the above we haven't picked
7. No idea :lol:

Bengals78
02-19-2007, 11:11 PM
I think he meant 4th...

The way I hope it goes...

1. CB/S... Timmons if he's BPA, Okoye if he's there.
2. CB/S (Rouse/Bennett/Wilson)
4. Versatile DL guy/OL/RB
5. RB/OL/DL
6. PR/QB or whichever of the above we haven't picked
7. No idea :lol:

sounds good. ROUSE!!!! ROUSE!!!! I want him in rd 2.
what about chase pittman in a later round?

themaninblack
02-20-2007, 12:47 AM
i keep forgetting we dont have a 3rd round pick but im fairly certain we will come draft day. Josh Wilson or Rouse in the 2nd seem really intriguing but i wanna see how Rouse runs at the combine before im sold on him. hes the next David Fulcher if he runs well.

BengalsPwn
02-20-2007, 03:40 PM
Why are you guys so high on Rouse, He cant even play safety. He sucks in coverage and got burned at the senior bowl. Scott even said he looked better in man than he did in space. He is best suited to play WLB like Thomas Davis and Darnell Bing ended up playing.

deyebc
02-20-2007, 04:03 PM
Completely agree plus we already have a fast skinny wlb in Landon.

Bengals78
02-20-2007, 05:48 PM
what makes you think he cant play safety?
a lot of great safeties have trouble in one are of coverage or another.
or are you trying to get me to believe Roy Williams or John Lynch don't have flaws?

"Physical and does a great job in the box versus the run"
"Range is adequate and he is able to make plays sideline-to-sideline"
"Decent tackler with a burst who can really close in a hurry...Nasty and an intimidator who plays with an attitude"
from Scott's scouting report.
he hasn't played safety for more than 2 years. Give him time to develop as a player

Rouse + good combine = Bengals rd 2 \
well hopefully.

BengalsPwn
02-20-2007, 05:58 PM
I wish the bengals would have signed Ron Rivera to be the DC. To bad the front office would never pay the big bucks to bring in a big name coordinator. Lewis needs to clean house already cause if they have another inconsistant year its going to be all there heads.

BengalsPwn
02-20-2007, 06:05 PM
what makes you think he cant play safety?
a lot of great safeties have trouble in one are of coverage or another.
or are you trying to get me to believe Roy Williams or John Lynch don't have flaws?

"Physical and does a great job in the box versus the run"
"Range is adequate and he is able to make plays sideline-to-sideline"
"Decent tackler with a burst who can really close in a hurry...Nasty and an intimidator who plays with an attitude"
from Scott's scouting report.
he hasn't played safety for more than 2 years. Give him time to develop as a player

Rouse + good combine = Bengals rd 2 \
well hopefully.

Ok read the scouting report. It sounds like one of a LB, bc the what he will be in the NFL. If he cant cover in space that means he doesnt have the football smarts to make fast paced decisions in coverage. He is a poor mans Pat Watkins. He has the speed to be a great WLB and has the man coverage ability and size to cover many of the new fast elite TE's. He is exactly what you look for in a new WLB. All he has to do is add like 10 pounds to his frame.

themaninblack
02-20-2007, 07:40 PM
i said i'd like him if he proves he has the hips and speed for the position. I don't think hes the kind of safety marvin wants particularly but with our draft position i don't think we're going to get landry or reggie nelson and it might be to early to go for micheal griffin(whom i think is marvins type of safety) so 1st might be CB or a suprise pick. I'd be willing to take a shot on him even if he isn't a true safety because i like his attitude which is something this D really lacks as a unit.

bengalbuck
02-20-2007, 08:45 PM
Hey all, I don't post here much, but here are my general thoughts on the Bengals draft. Let me know what you think.

First round- I think that if we can sign Justin Smith long term, then we are at least solid at D Line, meaning that our biggest need is in the secondary. With Madieu Williams, we have a lot of flexibility and can go after either a Free Safety or a CB. My personal preference is to get a free safety (Reggie Nelson would be ideal). Our style of D requires physical DBs who can come up and tackle. Madieu and Joseph at CB and Jackson and Nelson at S would give us a tough physical secondary for the first time in the Marvin Lewis era and should help both the run and pass D. Nelson's crazy range would be especially helpful against the pass. If Nelson isn't there, then Landry, Griffen, Revis, Houston, or Hall would work.

Second round- There's a big group of guys that would fill needs in the 2nd. My personal preference would be a LB like Brandon Siler, Paul Posluzny, David Harris or Buster Davis. With Odell looking like he might be cut, Pollack looking like he may be out for at least the season and Simmons getting up into his 30s, we could really use an impact guy at LB. Mid 2nd should allow us to get a top 5 talent at the position. I would also consider a TE like Olsen or Miller if they were still there, a DT like Justin Harrell or a DE/DT tweener like Ray McDonald.

Second Day- It's hard to pinpoint specific guys in specific rounds this far out, but I think we have to look hard at a few positions. First, if we don't get a TE on day one, Round 4 or 5 would be a great place to go after Chandler from Iowa or Spaeth from Minnesota to provide a better pass catching threat. I would love to draft a safety on the second day, even if we get one on the first day due to Dexter Jackson being so injury prone. Last year, guys like Ko Simpson, Dawan Landry and Jarrad Page all slipped to day two and made big impacts as rookies. A LB who can cover better than Landon Johnson on obvious passing downs might make sense as well.

Bengals78
02-20-2007, 09:36 PM
i said i'd like him if he proves he has the hips and speed for the position. I don't think hes the kind of safety marvin wants particularly but with our draft position i don't think we're going to get landry or reggie nelson and it might be to early to go for micheal griffin(whom i think is marvins type of safety) so 1st might be CB or a suprise pick. I'd be willing to take a shot on him even if he isn't a true safety because i like his attitude which is something this D really lacks as a unit.

i think he can prove it. he needs to slim down a tad imo.
i think he can play safety. he brings a nasty demeanor to our defense which we lack. how many big hitters do we have on D in the secondary to make receivers think about going across the middle?
its not like he would start right away. give him time to learn the position. have him spend time with madieu and dexter.

PalmerToCJ
02-20-2007, 10:31 PM
Rouse was a LB until 2 years ago and has been improving his coverage. He had 2 or 3 picks in 7on7's at the Senior Bowl practice and was good in coverage, he even was able to hang with Andrae Allison. If he loses a tick in weight the potential at SS is there for him and he doesn't have to start this year.

Rivera is overrated. His D is full of studs, they lost to the Colts because he played the same laid back coverage that Breshnahan did on them with the same results.

Jim Bates is who we should've went after.

Bengals78
02-20-2007, 10:40 PM
yeah. thats what ive been tryin to say. he is improving and getting better with a lot of room to still get better
thought i might have to defend him all alone lol.

Rivera is overrated. We should snag Singletary....lol

themaninblack
02-21-2007, 12:30 AM
i wanna see some tape on him but if he runs well i like him overall.

FootballGod
02-21-2007, 08:55 AM
Why are you guys so high on Rouse, He cant even play safety. He sucks in coverage and got burned at the senior bowl. Scott even said he looked better in man than he did in space. He is best suited to play WLB like Thomas Davis and Darnell Bing ended up playing.
I have to agree with you on this one. I don't think that he will run under a 4.5 and he is just to big to play safety. He is a converted LB and will need to move there at the next level.

PalmerToCJ
02-21-2007, 02:12 PM
I'm so high on Ross because of the numbers I think he'll put up on Monday. If he only runs a 4.5 or higher then I will bail on the bandwagon but I feel like he'll get in the 4.4's and has the potential at SS.

PalmerToCJ
02-21-2007, 02:29 PM
Some interesting news...

T.J. Houshmandzadeh hired a new agent this off-season, possibly to work out a new contract for him.
The Bengals have one of the best bargains in the league with Housh, who signed a four-year deal before 2005. He's under contract for the next two seasons for a combined $4.65 million. The Bengals might not feel motivated to give him a raise before next off-season.

TJ is a sweet deal, I was afraid of this... Hopefully it's just for endorsement purposes.

The Bengals are expected to extend the low tender to restricted free agent LBs Caleb Miller, Landon Johnson, and DB Greg Brooks.
Former undrafted FA Shaun Smith will also get the minimum tender ($850,000). Johnson is a starter and Miller has started before, but both were third-round picks, so Cincinnati must feel safe that the high required compensation if the players sign offer sheets will ward teams off.

The Bengals have not approached Landon Johnson about a contract extension yet this off-season.
Johnson had been the steadiest linebacker of the six drafted under Marvin Lewis, but he can probably be retained with a one-year tender offer as a restricted free agent. The Bengals may approach Johnson about an extension after the draft.

That's surprising if we give Landon a low tender... Might mean that WLB could be a possibility day 1 of the draft.

We're also trying to re-sign KK, Reggie Kelly and Tony Stewart. Reportedly Marvin won't allow Zampese to interview for the 49ers job because it's too late in the offseason.

Bengals78
02-21-2007, 02:40 PM
I like Landon hopefully he will resign.
but if he doesnt, then we can draft Rouse since he "isnt" a safety he can play WLB. Or he can just you know, play safety and we can resign landon

PalmerToCJ
02-21-2007, 02:50 PM
The low tender makes me think Marvin feels that Landon is dispensable if it came down to it (much to my surprise, I thought he loved Landon).

Say we get Revis in the 1st... That in no way means we will take a SS if Weddle/Rouse aren't available/aren't high on the draft board. I must say though someone would have to fall back to warrant a pick. Rufus Alexander might be there but he's got slight character concerns so I doubt that one happening.

rickscott
02-21-2007, 05:14 PM
Remember Marvin wants Safeties that are versatile. Roy Williams wouldn't play here ideally because he is very one dimentional. A guy that can run, cover, hit and tackle is what we're looking for. I think Nelson or Griffin or Landry would work well here and probably Merriweather too

PalmerToCJ
02-21-2007, 05:44 PM
Remember Marvin wants Safeties that are versatile. Roy Williams wouldn't play here ideally because he is very one dimentional. A guy that can run, cover, hit and tackle is what we're looking for. I think Nelson or Griffin or Landry would work well here and probably Merriweather too

That's the thing though, I don't see Rouse as only an in the box guy. He's not like Piscitelli, Wendling, Peters etc. He's shown potential in coverage and he can stick with WR's in coverage... He considered Thomas Howard to Saftey although I'll admit he showed more potential in coverage and more speed than Rouse will probably show but I still think Rouse can be successful in coverage.

Immediately though there are for sure other safties to be had 4th round that could contribute.

I'm really unsure what we'll take 2nd round if CB is the 1st rounder. Ideally one of the safties will fall and we take them in the 1st then Fred Bennett or another CB in the 2nd.

Bengals78
02-21-2007, 07:31 PM
Ideally we get laron landry in rd 1 and a shut down CB in rd 2. Will it happen no. but hey a guy can pray

themaninblack
02-21-2007, 07:55 PM
micheal griffin really stands out to me as a guy who is something marvin is looking for. does anyone else think that Ethan Kilmer could be an answer at safety? i really like this kids' skillset and hes blazingly fast and showed he's not afraid to hit. marvin might not even be looking to get a safety on draft day unless he's BPA. madieu, kk, dexter, and kilmer are all pretty good players and maybe he thinks kilmer could be an option? anyone else think about this?

Bengals78
02-21-2007, 09:09 PM
i think kilmer is a stud. do i think he can play NFL safety on a week to week basis? probably not.
He is easily our best special teamer and I hope he can learn to return for us.
Kilmer could be a better nickel back than Keiwan in a year or so

PalmerToCJ
02-21-2007, 09:49 PM
Yeah I don't see Kilmer ever being a starter but he's great for ST.

You know, I always just kind of assume we take a saftey if a solid one is there but I guess I'm jumping the gun. IMO we should take one and get the future of saftey figured out... We'll probably need a new one after next year and KK isn't the answer as a starter (he's a good backup).

I'm curious to see what numbers Griffin puts up at the combine, his stock isn't far from being good at 18... Who knows. Saftey in the 1st and CB in the second would be sweet because in theory a first round saftey will be a playmaker.

themaninblack
02-22-2007, 12:38 AM
griffin is also a stud special teamer with i think like 7 punt blocks in his career.

themaninblack
02-22-2007, 07:59 PM
if we go solely by BPA in the 1st round instead of a pressing need who could you see us picking up that we havent thought of thus far?

PalmerToCJ
02-22-2007, 08:45 PM
We haven't really mentioned Lawrence Timmons a lot. Really most of it depends on what Marvin/Mike Brown intend to do with Odell. If they don't see Odell starting in the future and if they would be willing to sit Landon and put Timmons at WLB.

Maybe Jarvis Moss if he's there (despite Franchising Justin), but I'm not so sure that happens now.

I'm sure Marvin loves the fact that Griffin is a solid ST guy, that's a big requirement out of him.

themaninblack
02-22-2007, 08:58 PM
is it possible we pick up alaima francis from hawaii? i like this guy and when i watched him he flat out dominated people.

Bengals78
02-22-2007, 09:29 PM
its possible. i like him too.
he;s big and quick. he could move inside on passing downs for sure

PalmerToCJ
02-22-2007, 09:53 PM
He's one of my favorites but it all depends on how his stock does. Some people have him falling to the 4th but I don't see it happening.

themaninblack
02-22-2007, 11:53 PM
ya, unfortunately i see him moving up to the 2nd possibly and i doubt we'd go for him there.

rickscott
02-23-2007, 02:34 PM
I still like Dan Bazuin and I think following the combine, we'll see him move up too. A MAC guy but he's a solid football player and a guy that could help us especially if he would slip to the 4th rd as some have him.

themaninblack
02-23-2007, 09:18 PM
ya i like bazuin as well.

PalmerToCJ
02-23-2007, 09:30 PM
Aaron Rouse weighed in at 210... 4.4 time for him.

edge_V
02-23-2007, 09:33 PM
just checking if my avatar works

PalmerToCJ
02-23-2007, 09:38 PM
just checking if my avatar works

Too big...

quickcc
02-24-2007, 01:52 AM
I've been reading some of the posts here; and I really think at this point, DE is a dead position earlier than the 4th for the Bengals.

Unless something completely ridiculous happens like if Gaines Adams fell to the 2nd (COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS) then maybe.
But after franchising Justin Smith (which I consider a very good move -especially if they manage to sign him long-term instead of keeping the franchise tender) and resigning Geathers (another even more solid move), I don't think there's any realistic way they are going to draft a DE on day one.

I also don't think that they are going to address TE on day one.
They've got enough offensive firepower as is, and Carson is lobbying for Reggie Kelly to be his main TE (receiving or no.)

I, personally, am rooting for Matt Spaeth in the fourth.

So now, I'm most rooting for
Okoye,
Landry (though I don't think he's got any chance to fall to us -contrary to some of the professional mocks I've seen)
then Willis,
Griffin,
Revis.
in the first.

Who knows what could possibly happen in the second?
I'm hoping for either a Meriweather or Chris Houston (assuming they DON'T draft a DB in the first) or maybe Jon Beason (if they DON'T address LB in the first.)

I don't see too much value for a DT in the second; there's too much talent drop-off after Pitcock as near as I can see, for a DT in the second to be feasible.

Really and truly, though, I'm putting all of my faith into whoever Marvin drafts (like I have a choice, I know, but follow my sentiment if you would.)

Marvin hasn't led us astray so far, (you can't count Frostee Rucker; he hasn't even been on the field yet) so why question him?

So far he's done nothing but build this team through the draft and he's done a fantastic job of it; he can't help it that some of the guys he had to draft (because the team had no talent) had character concerns.
Many of those guys probably won't be with the team this year anyway or they are in Marv's doghouse.

Matthias Askew? Gone.

Eric Steinbach? (As good as) gone.

Deltha O'Neal? On Marv's crap-list, and eventually probably gone.

Reggie McNeal? Why are we concerned about him? Is he somehow a leader on our team? Have I fallen through a cosmic bunnyhole or something? He's not exactly a marquee guy.

Frostee Rucker? He's evidently a prick (spouse-abuser) but he still hasn't seen the field yet. Give him a chance on the field. . . until then, remember he's a third round pick; the Broncos burned a 3rd on Maurice Clarett in how long? If memory serves, he didn't even make it to the pre-season. So it's not like we're wed to Rucker if he does screw around and make this mistake again.

JonJo? I heard the coaches seem to believe that it was just a one-time thing with him, and that it won't happen again.

Thurman and Henry? Okay, you got me on them. They have the talent if they'd stop screwing around.

You want to point out for me the four or five guys that were actually worth anything before Marvin got here?
Most of the people he inherited weren't worth anything one way or another; and the few who really were have been kept (or at least were kept.)

So why are we on the cusp of being a high-caliber take-no-prisoners type of football team?
It's because Marvin and Mike B. built the Bengals back up USING THE DRAFT!!
Gambling big on these guys so far has paid off fairly well, and I think they realize now, that they have enough talent that they no longer HAVE to take those same gambles.

So hooray for Marv and Mike.
They deserve a pat on the back.
They deserve some trust.

PalmerToCJ
02-24-2007, 12:39 PM
My friend played basketball with Chris Henry last night :lol: . I wish I could've made it.

Marvin has been great in the draft. Really Keiwan is the only high value pick he's made that hasn't turned out well (with the exception of injuries/off field... They all have shown the talent). Guys like Weathersby/Odell/Henry/Pollack were worth the risk even though they haven't turned out of the best. Odell was still insanely productive his rookie year as we all know.

I'm not sold we'll take a MLB. We have potentially Odell, if not then Nicholson and Ahmad. Timmons it he LB I think we may take in the 1st to play either WLB or SLB.

I don't want Merriweather, yes the shooting wasn't initiated by him but where there's smoke there's fire so IMO it'd just be best to avoid him although I don't see him getting to us in the 2nd. Someone will give him a chance. Chris Houston has been underrated for months and the combine will finally put him up early 2nd or late 1st.

Beason I could see falling to us. If we take a CB in the 1st there's potential he falls and he's got the speed Marvin obsesses over.

cardsfanmd
02-24-2007, 12:49 PM
I say we go after Greg Olson now 4"45 wow what Freak of a TE
Or Maybe even Ryan Kalil I really liked him in the Combine Today

PalmerToCJ
02-24-2007, 01:10 PM
I say we go after Greg Olson now 4"45 wow what Freak of a TE
Or Maybe even Ryan Kalil I really liked him in the Combine Today

Ghiaciuc wasn't bad at the end of the year and Wilkerson has potential as well. I do like Kalil as a player though.

Olsen=no chance.

themaninblack
02-24-2007, 07:36 PM
DE is definetly a need but when you've got one of the worst secondaries in the NFL you need to invest in that with the first couple of picks.

Bengals78
02-24-2007, 08:33 PM
DB is our number one problem.
I will be floored if we dont take a DB in the first round
and i will be mildly suprised if not in the first 2

moto
02-24-2007, 10:55 PM
There is no use in drafting a center when we already have Ghiacuic and Wilkerson on the roster...

edge_V
02-25-2007, 10:29 AM
if okoye is there in the first then take him but after that i am torn between db or patrick willis if he is there. i am hoping that if we take something other than db in the first that we could houston in the second.

cardsfanmd
02-25-2007, 10:53 AM
I say we take Leon Hall if he is there he reminds me of Ty Law because they said Ty Law was not that fast but look how he turned out

PalmerToCJ
02-25-2007, 11:13 AM
Leon Hall reminds me of Tory James if that tells you anything. He could be solid in a cover 2 scheme but not ours.

I'd love Houston in the 2nd but after Tuesday he won't be underrated anymore. Guys like Fred Bennett/Johnathan Wade could be though.

One of the safties or Revis is what I'm hoping for, Timmons if he went to WLB.

themaninblack
02-25-2007, 12:24 PM
first is probably going to be BPA regardless of position from what Bresnahan said on the bengals website.

PalmerToCJ
02-25-2007, 12:29 PM
first is probably going to be BPA regardless of position from what Bresnahan said on the bengals website.

Which it should be. Luckily that BPA will be a defener anyway more than likely.

IndyColtScout
02-25-2007, 12:32 PM
I think CIN takes Houston, Revis, Beason, Poz, Willis, or Timmons. I say Beason, but I wouldn't be surprised if its Poz.

PalmerToCJ
02-25-2007, 06:33 PM
I think CIN takes Houston, Revis, Beason, Poz, Willis, or Timmons. I say Beason, but I wouldn't be surprised if its Poz.

At this point it looks like BPA. Revis depends a decent amount on what he runs, Houston might be a possibility. Timmons I think has a very solid chance, I don't think Poz will.

themaninblack
02-25-2007, 07:16 PM
any chance we go offense if someone good falls?

edge_V
02-25-2007, 07:19 PM
you have got to be ******* me! the day i get my avatar the board gets changed!

PalmerToCJ
02-25-2007, 09:11 PM
any chance we go offense if someone good falls?

I very strongly doubt it. Only guy with any chance IMO is Marshawn Lynch. Levi Brown wouldn't really be worth it, no guards worth 18 and WR shouldn't even be (and won't be) considered. So... I highly doubt it. I'm not so sure about round 2 though but I hope not.

And I sure like how they spelled they misspelled Cincinnati in the main thread.

themaninblack
02-26-2007, 04:14 PM
ya we should get them to change that. as for the combine today, my boy charles johnson didnt run as well as i thought he was going to but did have an impressive vertical jump and bench numbers. willis ran really well, okoye had a 5.00 which is pretty impressive. i weigh 265 and maybe run a 5.00 lol.

PalmerToCJ
02-26-2007, 04:53 PM
Tomorrow we see Houston/Revis/Rouse.

I'm hoping Landry/Nelson do a little less than expected so that they could fall. I'm also curious to see what Griffin does.

themaninblack
02-27-2007, 12:33 AM
i really think we should trade down some spots to get griffin if possible and maybe get a 3rd round pick! i really want griffin tho and i think he's gonna move up with his numbers so that may not be possible. i still want him at 18 though over almost anyone. love his aggressiveness and cover ability.

deyebc
02-27-2007, 11:59 AM
Nelson ran a lot slower than everyone expected, does this mean he isn't as fast or will it more likely mean that he could fall to us at 18.....

PalmerToCJ
02-27-2007, 12:00 PM
He ran a 4.45 today... not bad.

Chris Houston ran a 4.32, I've been waiting for his value to be good at 18 and now I think it is.

Revis/Rouse didn't run, Leon Hall ran a 4.39, Johnathan Wade 4.38, Fred Bennett only 4.46, Laron Landry 4.35 (No chance for him for sure now) and Reggie Nelson only ran a 4.53 so he might be there to be had.

derza222
02-27-2007, 05:44 PM
Not sure if Houston is going to be there at this point, he may be a fast riser and could be gone soon after Hall. Todays times really hurt the chances of the Bengals getting a top corner since it seems all the top guys ran very well and either solidified their status as top half of the first round guys or moved into that range. Nelson is the only guy I can think of that increased his chances of being a Bengal. Revis could be there if he runs poorly at his pro day though. Seems like a safety/LB could be the most likely pick at 18 after today.

BengalsPwn
02-27-2007, 07:06 PM
Where did all the Charles Johnson love? He didnt do all that great at the combine and couldnt even outrun his teammate Moses. So much for him running faster than every other DE there. Im still rooting for a DE round 1 cause thats the only way our defense will ever improve. You guys all think keeping Justin was like not letting go of the greatest DE ever. He doesnt solve any probelms with the pass rush. I dont care if you got Ed Reed, Champ Bailey, Chris McCalister, and Bob Sanders in the secondary, if you cant produce a pass rush they will get ripped to shreds. Ask Chicago how there defense did after they got 0 pressure on Peyton after the first 5 ******s of the game.

edit: the word mi nutes is censored..... thats weird.

derza222
02-27-2007, 08:11 PM
What are thoughts on trading down/up here? I wonder if a trade down would make sense if there's nobody jumping out at the Bengals or even multiple guys available, especially to pick up the lost third. And I believe they have shown a willingness to trade down, didn't they give up the pick St. Louis took Steven Jackson with and nab Chris Perry later in the first a couple years back? Might make sense if there are a few equally rated defensive players on the board. Just curious as to what your thoughts are. Trading up I figure is very unlikely but who knows.

PalmerToCJ
02-27-2007, 08:34 PM
The year we took Perry we actually traded down twice (Once in a trade for Deltha O'Neal and again to get Perry). Marvin is big on trading back if there isn't good value at a spot but the main thing is gonna be finding someone willing to trade back in the first place.

Bengals78
02-27-2007, 08:56 PM
Aaron Rouse timed in at 4.52 on his 40.
He could be a rd 2 safety.

PalmerToCJ
02-28-2007, 11:59 AM
BengalsPwn... You cited our problem exactly. We don't send LB's/S's on blitzes... Kind of like the Bears did. You can't rely on your front four to get pressure every time.

Last year Tory James was giving gigantic cushions because he was entirely too slow so it was just pitch and catch for the other team. Good teams with the pass rush BLITZ! We don't, in the few games we did the defense was more successful. Against Denver they sent a lot of blitzers with a decent amount of success, it was the one big play to Walker and TO's that killed us though.

DE is not the root of our problems. It's bad defensive schemes and our CB's (James/Deltha) getting burned last year (on short routes, not where they had to cover forever). We have big money invested in Geathers/Smith and a 3rd rounder just last season invested in Rucker. Whether you want us to go DE or not it isn't going to happen unless say Jamaal Anderson fell.

rickscott
02-28-2007, 03:01 PM
The Bengals just cut Brian Simmons so just maybe a LBer is the choice on draft day. Hopefully Odell comes back healthy and ready and Pollack too.

derza222
02-28-2007, 03:58 PM
The year we took Perry we actually traded down twice (Once in a trade for Deltha O'Neal and again to get Perry). Marvin is big on trading back if there isn't good value at a spot but the main thing is gonna be finding someone willing to trade back in the first place.

True I had forgotton about the trade to get Deltha. So in theory, a trade down is definitely a possibility, but a trade up not so much. I figured as much, just wanted to confirm. Who could Marvin have his eye on at LB? Beason, Timmons, Willis? Or maybe a second round guy?

Don Vito
02-28-2007, 04:26 PM
The Bengals just cut Brian Simmons so just maybe a LBer is the choice on draft day. Hopefully Odell comes back healthy and ready and Pollack too.

How was Simmons this year. A few years ago I remember he was a very underrated and good player. Is he someone who could still make an impact? I also was wondering about Pollack. Is he going to play next year. He is one guy whos career does not deserve to be cut short.

diabsoule
02-28-2007, 04:52 PM
Bengals | S. Smith receives draft-status tender offer
Wed, 28 Feb 2007 12:35:17 -0800

The Cincinnati Bengals have officially announced making a draft-status tender offer to restricted free agent DL Shaun Smith. Since Smith joined the team as an undrafted free agent, the draft-status tender means any team can sign Smith to an offer sheet without compensating the Bengals.

Bengals | Miller receives draft-status tender offer
Wed, 28 Feb 2007 12:31:47 -0800

The Cincinnati Bengals have officially announced making a draft-status tender offer to restricted free agent LB Caleb Miller. Any team that signs Miller to an offer sheet in free agency would have to compensate the Bengals with a 2007 third round draft pick, the equivalent to the round Miller was originally drafted in.

Bengals | L. Johnson receives draft-status tender offer
Wed, 28 Feb 2007 12:28:47 -0800

The Cincinnati Bengals have officially announced making a draft-status tender offer to restricted free agent LB Landon Johnson. Any team that signs Johnson to an offer sheet in free agency would have to compensate the Bengals with a 2007 third round draft pick, the equivalent to the round Johnson was originally drafted in.

Bengals | G. Brooks receives draft-status tender offer
Wed, 28 Feb 2007 12:22:54 -0800

The Cincinnati Bengals have officially announced making a draft-status tender offer to restricted free agent CB Greg Brooks. Any team that signs Brooks to an offer sheet in free agency would have to compensate the Bengals with a 2007 sixth round draft pick, the equivalent to the round Brooks was originally drafted in.

Bengals | Larson receives second-round tender offer
Wed, 28 Feb 2007 12:19:56 -0800

The Cincinnati Bengals have officially announced making a second-round tender offer to restricted free agent P Kyle Larson. Any team that signs Larson to an offer sheet in free agency would have to compensate the Bengals with a 2007 second round draft pick if the Bengals refuse to match the offer.

Bengals | Andrews receives second-round tender offer
Wed, 28 Feb 2007 12:14:35 -0800

The Cincinnati Bengals have officially announced making a second-round tender offer to restricted free agent OL Stacy Andrews. Any team that signs Andrews to an offer sheet in free agency would have to compensate the Bengals with a 2007 second round draft pick if the Bengals refuse to match the offer.

PalmerToCJ
02-28-2007, 05:48 PM
Wow. A lot of news.

I didn't think we would cut Simmons. Not because of ability but the experience and prescence he provided in the locker room. He was one of the big leaders in the locker room and we have zero vets at LB anymore. I'm actually pretty shocked... We lose nothing in quality (I never figured him into the starting lineup next year) but Marvin always talks about keeping the guys that have been around instead of going with the next best new guy. I'm actually kind of bothered by it, sucks to see a guy go that gave his all in our crappy years only to get cut when things got best. The Simmons/TKO draft is what got me into the draft as a whole and when I really started to get into the Bengals.

Stacy Andrews getting a second round tender says a lot about how he's progressed... Without a doubt he's the future of RG, may even start late this year.

Landon getting a 3rd round tender tells me Marvin isn't locked into him being a starter.

I don't get why Shaun Smith doesn't play more, the drafted tender bothers me because anyone can sign him... I really think he has a solid future at DT.

Ahmad Brooks will be the opening day starter at MLB or SLB.. I'm extremely happy for that. Now it just depends on whether we take a guy like Willis for MLB or leave Jeanty at SLB and take a guy like Timmons to put him at WLB. There's all kinds of options. Regardless I trust Marvin completely when he's dealing with LB's. Hopefully Odell gets a final chance and makes the most out of it, that there is like a 1st rounder.

themaninblack
02-28-2007, 11:28 PM
cutting simmons shocked me as well. Always liked the guy and while he's no longer the player he once was his leadership ability is unquestioned. regardless, he's still an able starter on another team. i think all this really does is shows marvin's belief in ahmad brooks and that odell will be back. i doubt he would've done this had he not been certain those two would be back. im also fairly certain pollack will be back towards the end of next year unless something sets his rehab back. i don't understand the shaun smith thing though because he and domata peko are the future of our interior dline and both could be excellent players. they need to keep stacey andrews but i would love to see some more draft picks for caleb and landon because im not sold on them though we should try to keep one of the two.

PalmerToCJ
03-01-2007, 11:51 AM
The moves yesterday show me that Marvin/Brown are doing what they feel it takes to take this team to the next level.

Marvin always showed faith in Landon because of his consistency but I think Marvin realizes how consistently average he was and he wasn't willing to sign him long term to some big deal and I think if someone matches his offer sheet that he will be allowed to walk and WLB will be addressed in the draft.

I really really really hope no one takes Smith. It worries me that Marvin is unsure of him because of how low that tender is, maybe not though.

TitanHope
03-01-2007, 03:38 PM
I was reading in the Free Agent tracker thread, and saw that Brian Simmons was released. But, it listed him as an ILB, not an OLB as I remember him as. Is that a typo, or did he play MLB last year, and if so, how well did he play? From the past few posts, I guess ya'lls consensus is that he's not as good as he once was, but was a great leader on the team. Thats the kind of player the Titans need, that is, if he plays MLB. We still have a young team, and our only MLB on our roster will be Stephen Tulloch, who's only going into his second year. Tulloch may be our future at MLB, so the job is his to lose, but a some competition from a veteran may be really good for him.

So I guess what I really wanna know is, how good was Simmons if he played at MLB last year? Thanks.

PalmerToCJ
03-01-2007, 09:24 PM
He's played a million positions. He's best suited for WLB but was forced to MLB via Odell and injuries. He also played SLB.

He never was amazing but in his prime he was very steady and consistent. Now he's not the best LB on our team and for sure not the youngest so he was expendable in that sense. Great locker room guy though.

themaninblack
03-02-2007, 09:58 PM
I always liked Simmons more than Takeo Spikes if that tells you anything. While he wasn't as highly touted he was still a stud for years here when the team was terrible. I think if he had been on a better team with at least a decent line at the time he was drafted he wouldve been one of the top linebackers in the NFL for years. I love him and I'm sad to see him go because I've always backed him and been a huge fan but I realize and so does he that he isnt the future hear. His contributions to Bengaldom shall not be forgotten and IMO he's one of the better linebackers in our teams history. Anybody who invests in him is going to get a solid starter for at least one year but his leadership is what will really make him a valuable asset to any team in need of such a thing. He's versatile and still athletic and seems to come up with BIG plays at times.

BengalsPwn
03-06-2007, 02:46 PM
Hopefully we can sign FA TE Randy McMichael. He is a great TE and can fill the gap there so we dont have to draft one. Being that all I get to see here is Dolphins games I can tell you he is a top 5 TE in the league. He is a true playmaker. He drops the easy pass sometimes but can make things happen.

PalmerToCJ
03-06-2007, 08:50 PM
Hopefully we can sign FA TE Randy McMichael. He is a great TE and can fill the gap there so we dont have to draft one. Being that all I get to see here is Dolphins games I can tell you he is a top 5 TE in the league. He is a true playmaker. He drops the easy pass sometimes but can make things happen.

I don't want a wife beater who's looking for big money. Kelly is way more important to team chemistry and he's a blocker, McMicheal won't want to block anymore.

Bengals78
03-06-2007, 09:39 PM
I don't want a wife beater who's looking for big money. Kelly is way more important to team chemistry and he's a blocker, McMicheal won't want to block anymore.

DING DING DING!!!!
we have a winner!
i agree 95% with you
the other 5% wants a Pass Catching TE...damn guilty pleasures

themaninblack
03-06-2007, 11:39 PM
it would be nice to have a pass catcher. Kelly i think is actually pretty capable of catching some passes we just obviously dont choose to utilize him. Something i think we should consider to take some heat off the WRs.

PalmerToCJ
03-06-2007, 11:51 PM
it would be nice to have a pass catcher. Kelly i think is actually pretty capable of catching some passes we just obviously dont choose to utilize him. Something i think we should consider to take some heat off the WRs.

I think that's what they're molding Ghent/Day for, either one should end up coming in occassionaly next year.

themaninblack
03-07-2007, 12:15 AM
maybe but reggie kelly may be the least likely man on the field to catch a pass(aside from the OL) and we should hit him up a little more often so defenses are aware of him.

PalmerToCJ
03-07-2007, 12:21 AM
Him and Stewart can catch when needed. They both had some big catches for us last year.

It's just with Tab back this year I expect him to line up as a pass catching TE of sorts on 3rd downs... Then we have Henry/TJ/CJ obviously, if Perry would ever stay healthy we could have insane threats on 3rd down. Kelly helps Carson get more time as well.

Someone on another forum brought this up and I completely agree. Kelly is big for our hurry up because if you notice a lot times when Jeremi Johnson isn't out there he'll line up in the FB spot.

themaninblack
03-07-2007, 12:27 AM
ya ive noticed that many times. such a valuable and under-appreciated asset to this team.

dcsicass31birds
03-07-2007, 01:17 AM
here ya go guys this is a tea shirt i thought of for you all

go here

http://www.zazzle.com/product/235039492428447864

Dark Apprentice
03-07-2007, 04:42 PM
maybe but reggie kelly may be the least likely man on the field to catch a pass(aside from the OL) and we should hit him up a little more often so defenses are aware of him.

True, but I'm still hoping we'll pick up Matt Spaeth in the fourth (if he falls that far) to be the big target TE.

He evidently isn't on too many teams' radars.

I can see molding Ghent, Day, or Perry (Tab) into a successful TE, but I fell in love with Spaeth earlier in the season when I got to watch him play (I forget which game.)

I was thinking that whenever the draft scouts started, Spaeth was going to be a first-rounder with his TE of the year awards and such.

But a fourth-rounder?!?
Please, Marvin! Take him!!! . . .lol.

Thoughts?

derza222
03-08-2007, 03:41 PM
I really don't Cincy goes TE anywhere unless the value is too good to pass up on (i.e. Zach Miller in the fourth) and the player is a versatile threat. And Tab Perry at TE? I don't see that one.

PalmerToCJ
03-08-2007, 08:46 PM
I really don't Cincy goes TE anywhere unless the value is too good to pass up on (i.e. Zach Miller in the fourth) and the player is a versatile threat. And Tab Perry at TE? I don't see that one.

As a reciever, he takes the role of a TE on 3rd downs (aside from Kelly blocking).

I honestly don't think we'll draft one at all.

themaninblack
03-09-2007, 01:18 AM
i dont see a tight end either. one player ive been quiet about liking is Buster Davis. i wouldnt mind seeing him in the 2nd.

rickscott
03-09-2007, 12:25 PM
We've lost Tony Stewart to the Raiders so we'll be drafting a TE somewhere along the line.

mrpotamus
03-09-2007, 01:06 PM
We've lost Tony Stewart to the Raiders so we'll be drafting a TE somewhere along the line.

I don't think that is necessarily the case. We still have Ghent, Guenther, and Day. None of them are particularly great TEs, but neither was ToStew. He was an asset on special teams, but there is no reason to believe anyone we draft in the later rounds would be better than one of the three above mentioned TEs.

PalmerToCJ
03-09-2007, 08:24 PM
Yeah Stewart didn't really add much to our offense, he was a pass catcher/ST guy anyway and Tab can easily take his place in that regard. Plus we have 3 guys, surely one of them can equal Stewarts productivity.

themaninblack
03-11-2007, 12:25 AM
what does tab weigh? he's such a stud on ST and a great change of pace player who can be used in multiple positions. he may prove to have the best value of any pick in that draft.

PalmerToCJ
03-11-2007, 10:20 AM
He's listed at 6'3 208 but I think he's heavier than that. Early in the year he was essentially our 3rd down TE.

rickscott
03-11-2007, 05:06 PM
Where I'm concerned about Tony Stewart is on STs not as a TE. We can wish all we want but the Tony Stewarts, Ethan Kilmers etc don't grow on trees, otherwise, all of our ST guys would be great and they are certainly not. It's just that losing him and laready having lost Wilkens puts a big dent in our STs. Take away the 2 best Off or Def players and I'm sure our STs coach is feeling about the same. Hopefully someone steps up.

themaninblack
03-12-2007, 12:57 AM
and he also played RB! i heart tab.

derza222
03-15-2007, 08:03 PM
What does everyone think of Scott's mock for the Bengals? Houston in the first, Tank Tyler in the second. Personally I think Houston is an okay pick at 18 but I'm not a big fan of Tyler in the second...

rickscott
03-15-2007, 08:11 PM
I don't particularly want Tyler either. At that spot, I'd prefer Zack Miller or one of the many DEs he still has available like Crowder or McDonald or even Moses or the kid from Hawaii. I'd also be tempted by Fred Bennett even tho he's dropped some. Nowadays, I don't feel you can have too many quality CBs. I think Fanene will become a pretty good player that we'll see more of at DT this year.

Bengals78
03-15-2007, 10:47 PM
No moses. At all. he showed nothing his senior year or at any workouts yet.

themaninblack
03-16-2007, 01:06 AM
i'd give him a shot but not with the 2nd round pick, i know the man has it in him.

PalmerToCJ
03-16-2007, 02:33 PM
haha I remember telling Scott I wouldn't even want Tyler in the 2nd... I stand on that. I wouldn't be upset with the pick but with Weddle/Alexander ETC. on the board I don't see us going DT.

I think DT gets addressed next offseason. Peko/Adams and the others will be adequate for this season.

After this one we'll likely lose the contracts of Thornton and Robinson which clears up a huge chunk of change to either sign a DT or sign another positions so we can draft a DT in the 1st next year.

I think DT gets a look day 2, not day one.