View Full Version : Cincinnati Bengals Discussion

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

neko4
03-18-2007, 02:36 AM
Hey bengals fans new "fantasy offseason-type" game starting up
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4174

themaninblack
03-19-2007, 12:46 AM
did anyone see what Shaun Smith said about Eric Henderson? the next Adalius Thomas?! sure hope so i love Henderson.

PalmerToCJ
03-19-2007, 12:15 PM
did anyone see what Shaun Smith said about Eric Henderson? the next Adalius Thomas?! sure hope so i love Henderson.

Whoa where did you read that?

PalmerToCJ
03-19-2007, 12:17 PM
Actually I just found it...

"They've got a lot of great players there. (Jonathan) Fanene ... Eric Henderson is the next Adalius Thomas. I'm going to miss Paul Brown Stadium. But the Browns are a team on the rise."

Sweet.

Bengals78
03-19-2007, 06:14 PM
i forgot all about him. Hopefully he can bring another spark to our D

Bengals1690
03-19-2007, 08:36 PM
well i sure hope so we really could use another playmaking LB. Thurman, Pollack, and Simmons are gone, and im not in love with the idea of taking Timmons in this draft.

but i would love to see Okoye or Landry fall to us. If they don't, than Revis is the pick.

Draft scenarios-

1. Okoye
2. Beason, Wilson, or Weddle
4. Wade, Booker, or Durant

1. Revis, Hall, or Houston
2. Beason, Weddle, or Pitcock
4. Durant, the best Saftey if we dont take one earlier

1. Timmons
2. Wilson, Weddle, Pitcock
4. Wade, best DT prospect.

AHHHH!!! THIS IS SO CONFUSING! I kinda like the way the Timmons draft is unfolding though. Maybe i do like Timmons lol.

Man_Of_Steel
03-20-2007, 03:50 PM
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4174

Hey guys there a league thats almost full in the Fantasy section, you draft, trade, pick up FA and such. There are 4 teams still needing a GM and the Bengals are one of them. If your interested follow the link.
Sorry for chopping into the discussion.

themaninblack
03-20-2007, 06:14 PM
how about joey porter being a punk yet again? does he not realize levi jones would absolutely destroy him?

BengalsPwn
03-20-2007, 07:13 PM
Well this is my dream scenario with the players I believe will be there:

1. M. Griffin S Texas
2. J. Harrell DT Tenn
4. T. Brown CB Texas
5. C. Pittman DE LSU
6. T. Ecker TE Michigan
7. Z. Diles LB KSU

PalmerToCJ
03-20-2007, 10:07 PM
Brown would be nice but he has way too many character problems to bother with. I'd prefer Johnathan Wade in the 4th but I wouldn't be against this scenario.

rickscott
03-21-2007, 03:59 AM
There's a nice article on Eric Henderson on Bengals.com concerning his switch to OLB. He's lost some weight and is studying alot of film and meeting with Ricky Hunley. There seem to be more than a few who think he can become a solid LBer in the mold of A. Thomas as Shaun Smith mentioned. They mention his college stats compared to Mario Williams, also of the ACC, the #1 pick by Houston, and E. Henderson's are better .Wouldn't that be nice if he came through this year with all the problems we've had at LBer ?

I_C_DeadPeople
03-21-2007, 08:28 AM
There's a nice article on Eric Henderson on Bengals.com concerning his switch to OLB. He's lost some weight and is studying alot of film and meeting with Ricky Hunley. There seem to be more than a few who think he can become a solid LBer in the mold of A. Thomas as Shaun Smith mentioned. They mention his college stats compared to Mario Williams, also of the ACC, the #1 pick by Houston, and E. Henderson's are better .Wouldn't that be nice if he came through this year with all the problems we've had at LBer ?

That was surprising to hear but hey I will take a A.Thomas clone any day! Jeanty made a pretty smooth transition as did Pollack before injuries. If they had a starting LB group of Brooks, Henderson and Jeanty, man, that is some beef.

PalmerToCJ
03-21-2007, 11:04 AM
Now I'm curious about how the LB situation is going to turn out.

Henderson seems to have a lot of potential and Jeanty was solid last year (in his rookie season).

Then you have a question mark with Odell, if he isn't allowed significant time then Odell goes to MLB. However if Odell does come back, Ahmad has to be allowed to find the field but SLB doesn't seem like the best spot. He can play any LB position but I'm not so sure WLB isn't a waste of his talents.

Either we're drafting a WLB (Beason/Timmons/Rufus Alexander/Durant) or no LB, that I'm sure of.

BengalsPwn
03-24-2007, 10:23 AM
Well Tarell Brown just got arrested again so I better take him out of my mock.

I_C_DeadPeople
03-24-2007, 10:29 AM
Well Tarell Brown just got arrested again so I better take him out of my mock.

Man, some of these guys never learn...on another note, is there a reason Caleb Miller does not play WLB? He is smallish but fast. Just thinking out loud.

LTgiants
03-27-2007, 07:48 PM
is robert geathers gonna start for you guys next year?

J24
03-27-2007, 07:54 PM
is robert geathers gonna start for you guys next year?

Yeah because he is comming off a a career year with 10 1/2 sacks.

PalmerToCJ
03-27-2007, 08:32 PM
Is there a reason Caleb Miller does not play WLB? He is smallish but fast. Just thinking out loud.

Actually that's what he was drafted as. It's just that Landon couldn't hold up at MLB and has been so consistant at WLB. Either way I think he's just as productive at either spot.

Aftermath
03-31-2007, 12:51 PM
Now that we will most likely trade Deltha to Atlanta, we might have to draft a CB in the first.

rickscott
04-03-2007, 04:18 AM
Linebackers on the roster: Landon Johnson, Caleb Miller, Rashard Jeanty, Eric Henderson, AJ Nicholson, Ahmed Brooks, Jason Berryman, Marvin Frazier and Odell Thurman. Frazier is strictly Spec Teamer, I can't se Berryman and Henderson both successfully converting from DE to LB and Berryman has had lots of legal troubles so I think he doesn't make it. Nicholson was a flop last year so there's a good chance he won't make it. Odell is certainly on shaky ground too. With all of these question marks, I think LBer will surely be a position that we address early in the draft.

TRich28
04-17-2007, 12:34 PM
According to cbs.sportsline.com:

"According to the Dayton Daily News, the Bengals could trade franchise-tagged defensive end Justin Smith to get more picks in the April 28-29 NFL draft. The Bengals only have two first-day picks in the first (No. 18) and second (No. 49) rounds and Smith's sacks production doesn't match his salary."

BengalsPwn
04-17-2007, 01:11 PM
I would cry in happiness if we could move him for any first day pick. I bet if Jamaal Anderson drops to us we pick him and dump Justin's sorry behind.

PalmerToCJ
04-17-2007, 10:07 PM
According to cbs.sportsline.com:

"According to the Dayton Daily News, the Bengals could trade franchise-tagged defensive end Justin Smith to get more picks in the April 28-29 NFL draft. The Bengals only have two first-day picks in the first (No. 18) and second (No. 49) rounds and Smith's sacks production doesn't match his salary."

That is interesting, I'd like to know what kind of picks they're going after.

A mid/early 2nd would be amazing but I'd doubt that happening.

TRich28
04-17-2007, 11:44 PM
That is interesting, I'd like to know what kind of picks they're going after.

A mid/early 2nd would be amazing but I'd doubt that happening.
Speculation only, but perhaps a swap of 2nd round picks with a team like Atlanta or Minnesota, with that team including a 3rd round pick as well? I have not checked any of the numbers in the trade value chart to see how they line up as to Smith's overall value, but this is just a hypothetical situation I am presenting.

**EDIT
I went to the trade value chart and worked some of the numbers:

Atlanta - 2nd round (#39 from HOU - 510) & 3rd round (#75 - 215) - total - 725
Cincinnati - 2nd round (#49 - 410) & Smith (difference of 315)
-or-
Minnesota - 2nd round (#41 - 490) & 3rd round (#72 - 230) - total - 720
Cincinnati - 2nd round (#49 - 410) & Smith (difference of 310)

Each of these trades would put Smith at the value of a late 2nd round pick, in the #58/#59 range.

GertSK
04-18-2007, 07:46 AM
I would be shocked if the Bengals got much for Smith, (I think a 2nd Round Swap/3rd Round pick would be nice). I think the Bengals get that 3rd round pick only if they drop significantly in the 1st round, and thats only if they find a partner.

BengalsPwn
04-18-2007, 12:30 PM
I think we could easily move down in the first round. If Staley is still there at 18, Denver or KC might move up to leap frog the Giants. 18 down to 23 ain't too bad of a drop and we could still end up getting Griffin there so it works out well.

PalmerToCJ
04-18-2007, 02:39 PM
I like your idea T-Rich. That'd get us much better value, I honestly think the 2nd round loses it's luster once it gets past the 10th pick or so into the round.

It would be nice to trade down, I agree that swapping down to say 23 wouldn't be bad at all. Houston or Griffin will probably be there, even if not then you've got the LB's that Marvin may want.

themaninblack
04-18-2007, 05:54 PM
i don't think trading our best defensive lineman is the answer to our problems. all we really need is a third round pick and if we wanna get rid of some people get john thornton and brian robinson out of there in maybe a package deal. people need to get off jsmith's back for real. you're buying the pro bowl 5 year old evaluation for a DE. he's being overpaid i agree but we can surely get that down/afford to pay that for one year.

i have been saying the trade down get griffin thing for a while now and i still think its our best answer.

princefielder28
07-15-2007, 07:39 AM
Any Reds fan interested????
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11220

SuperKevin
09-11-2007, 01:37 PM
It's weird looking at the stat sheet and noticing that both interceptions recorded by the bengals defense were by defensive linemen.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-11-2007, 02:17 PM
LeMar Marshall seems to be doing well for you guys as a starter, I liked him in Washington, very solid, better OLB than MLB, I wanted to keep him this year but he was nothing but depth so kudos to the skins for letting him go early to where he can get pt.

themaninblack
09-11-2007, 05:42 PM
LeMar was pretty impressive last night i was surprised to say the least. geathers is a freak.

PalmerToCJ
09-11-2007, 08:57 PM
It's weird looking at the stat sheet and noticing that both interceptions recorded by the bengals defense were by defensive linemen.

Yeah I saw Geathers INT and went "who the hell is that", that play was amazing. Gotta give Meyers credit for the final INT too, great play for a big man.

Marshall did well for how long he's been there, I was a little worried about having him in there. He's an adequate backup at this point but getting Jeanty back will really help our run D.

themaninblack
09-12-2007, 12:11 AM
whens reshad going to be back?

PalmerToCJ
09-12-2007, 11:49 AM
When he first got injured I got the vibe that it'd be more towards week 3 or 4... Hopefully he'll be back for Monday night vs. the Pats.

robert_in_bigd
09-17-2007, 04:37 PM
You took them lightly and paid.

Shere Khan
09-17-2007, 10:51 PM
You took them lightly and paid.

who? The Browns?

I've learned not to take them lightly since the last game of the 2003 season.

D-Unit
09-25-2007, 04:47 PM
What's Rudi's status?

themaninblack
09-25-2007, 05:53 PM
it looks like he may miss his first game since 2003.

Bills2083
09-28-2007, 06:38 AM
^has it been confirmed that he's out?

themaninblack
09-28-2007, 08:32 PM
ya i think its pretty certain from all ive seen. i think hes listed as doubtful for the game against the pats. we've got Kenny Watson though who is more than capable of running well. Our bigger problem is the health of our Oline, if both our starters actually play at their tackle positions and our center is back we should be fine. having kenny irons would be absolutely huge right now though.

SuperKevin
10-18-2007, 06:03 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3068940

Robert Geathers has been moved from starting LDE to Linebacker

diabsoule
10-18-2007, 07:38 PM
I think the move of Geathers to SLB could work out beautifully. Key word is could.

Aftermath
10-27-2007, 11:56 PM
I think the move of Geathers to SLB could work out beautifully. Key word is could.

It already has.

rickscott
11-11-2007, 01:35 PM
Just what has been so beautiful about moving our best passrusher to LBer so he runs backwards more than he runs forward? They shouldn't screw with our young talented players. Leave him at DE so he continues to develope and draft a guy like Chris Long and start playing Fanene and Toenia and sit/release the Bryan Robinson's of this team. If they have no intent of signing J. Smith long term, he can rest once in awhile too. The point is, they have to come to the realization that this season is over and build on next year.

Aftermath
11-11-2007, 10:19 PM
Just what has been so beautiful about moving our best passrusher to LBer so he runs backwards more than he runs forward? They shouldn't screw with our young talented players. Leave him at DE so he continues to develope and draft a guy like Chris Long and start playing Fanene and Toenia and sit/release the Bryan Robinson's of this team. If they have no intent of signing J. Smith long term, he can rest once in awhile too. The point is, they have to come to the realization that this season is over and build on next year.

Where did you copy paste the first two lines from, i've read that before.

Ravens1991
11-12-2007, 04:02 PM
gg fellas.

themaninblack
11-12-2007, 05:23 PM
omg someone actually posted in the bengals forum. just wish it was a fellow bengals fan! anyway gg to you guys too.

BengalsPwn
11-12-2007, 11:42 PM
Honestly I think its time to overhaul the entire coaching staff. Our offense is far to inconsistent, our defense despite injuries, is god awful, and the team is just falling apart. Our drafting has been god awful which has effectively took away all depth. Ron Rivera has been waiting in the wings and could be a good candidate. I just hope this year we can get a game changer on defense with our draft picks.

fenikz
11-18-2007, 03:39 PM
good game, I still hate the fact that the Cardinals can't seem to close out games we got the win but it was ugly.

themaninblack
11-18-2007, 10:15 PM
Honestly I think its time to overhaul the entire coaching staff. Our offense is far to inconsistent, our defense despite injuries, is god awful, and the team is just falling apart. Our drafting has been god awful which has effectively took away all depth. Ron Rivera has been waiting in the wings and could be a good candidate. I just hope this year we can get a game changer on defense with our draft picks.

i dont think our drafting has been that bad actually especially when you consider the lack of a scouting department we have. we've gotten some pretty darn good players but have just been unlucky with injuries among other things. david pollack is a player that can totally change the way offenses attack our d and not having him or odell(which is bs btw) is painful. those two single handedly(or is it double handedly? lol) make this defense exponentially better. chris henry is a fantastic player, leon hall has made tremendous strides, chinny has been a diamond in the rough, robert geathers is on the verge of greatness, domata peko is a promising young player, jonathan fanene and frostee rucker have just flat out made plays when theyve been in, ahmad brooks is just a monster, ethan kilmer is a stud. i could go on but i think our drafting has been a lot better than you think except for the character issues. a few more players on D and we could have a very solid unit.

BroadwayJoe10
01-04-2008, 07:25 PM
I read on rotoworld that you guys have begone negotiations stacy andrews, Justin Smith, Madieu Williams, and LB Landon Johnson. I was wondering what the status on andrews was. I find it hard to beleive that he would enter negotiations on a new contract before testing the market; if you guys were able to land him before a bidding war started that would be one hell of a move. He is an absolute monster who is just starting to tap into his potential and i still can't figure out whether he'd be a better guard or tackle.

PalmerToCJ
01-04-2008, 07:46 PM
We're all REALLY REALLY hoping he's re-signed. He's a beast out there no matter where he gets put.

He would get paid very well in the open market, hopefully he's content here and takes a strong offer but it wouldn't be as much as he could get out there.

BroadwayJoe10
01-04-2008, 08:02 PM
We're all REALLY REALLY hoping he's re-signed. He's a beast out there no matter where he gets put.

He would get paid very well in the open market, hopefully he's content here and takes a strong offer but it wouldn't be as much as he could get out there.

Haha i wouldn't doubt it, becuase all us jets are really really hoping he isn't resigned. Good for you guys though if he resigns; if he takes the offer it means he loves it there becuase im sure he knows people will create a bidding war for him. Either way he's great to watch, gotta love a guy his size who can move like he does.

PalmerToCJ
01-04-2008, 08:05 PM
I would honestly rather cut ties with Bobbie Williams than get rid of Andrews. A lineman as young as he is and as good as he is are hard to come by.

Our organization places a lot of importance on the Oline (tackle capable Olineman especially), I guess we'll see...

BroadwayJoe10
01-04-2008, 08:25 PM
I would honestly rather cut ties with Bobbie Williams than get rid of Andrews. A lineman as young as he is and as good as he is are hard to come by.

Our organization places a lot of importance on the Oline (tackle capable Olineman especially), I guess we'll see...

You guys do and it's a great thing for a franchise to put ehmpasis on; i'm a firm beleive that you build a franchise from the trenches out. I really don't see you guys letting andrews get away, he is far too valuable. I actually wanted the jets to sign prior to this season and give up the 2nd rounder when they brought him in for a metting, but than we wouldn't have gotten harris so it's alright.

themaninblack
01-06-2008, 12:23 AM
if we let andrews go it would be a very bad move. i want him back more than anyone.

regoob2
01-07-2008, 08:22 PM
I'm doing a forum mock on another site and wanted to know if a 3rd and 4th pick would be enough for Madieu Williams? thanks

EDIT: Also when is his contract up with you guys this year or next?

rickscott
01-08-2008, 11:37 AM
I think they would let him go for a 3rd rd choice. He was a 2nd rders himself but to tell you the truth, the Bengals have shied away from paying Safeties much. They let Sam Shade walk to the Redskins a few years a go and we have Marvin White and Chine ready to take over. I'm not sure if he is RFA or UFA

rickscott
01-08-2008, 11:44 AM
I think the Bengals have been pretty bad drafting. I actually think any moron can read a few draft booklets and perform as well as we have . Look at the slections of Ratliff in rd 2, Askew in rd 4, Odell (character), Henry (character), Perry over Jackson( I know we ended up lucking out with Andrews, but it was the whole idea of thinking Perry was as good a pick as Jackson which was absurd.

Teams should rarely if ever screw up a 1st and 2nd rd pick since any mock can provide adequate info yet we've done it a couple times under Marvin. I know we have gotten some good players too, but when you think about it, rarely have they done any better than any of us could have done. I liked Toeaina pick alot......but they didn't have sense enough to keep him.

lost33cause
01-08-2008, 06:32 PM
The Toeinea pick? Who cares you have no clue if hes good or bad so whatever if you want to think that then fine. Why do you like him so much? You saw him puck up a fumble and run it back(very slowly). He is a a DE/DT tweener and we have enough of those as is.

We have drafted well, we just got bit in the ass on some of them, such as, Odell and Henry only. Odell showed skill wise he was a steal and I hope he shows us again this year but well see. Henry has also showed us he was a major steal skill wise and even with those games suspended he was worth it. Odell and Henry both were made scape goats by Goodell and under normal circumstances would not have had such large suspensions.

Also, on saying that teams should rarely screw up first and second round picks. the first round a lone is a 50/50 avg of making a difference on teams. So by that I would say lots of teams screw them up.

On the M. Williams thing, we can't get anything for him b/c hes a free agent which means hes no longer under contract with us. So teams will have a shot at get him, just have to show him the money.

rickscott
01-08-2008, 06:44 PM
Toeaina is 6-4 311; hardly an DE/DT tweener.....he made 6 tackles since he left us which is about 1/3 of what Robinson made the entire year. The point is, you do not allow a draft pick (in a position of need) to leave after he was good enough to keep the entire season, for the sake of keeping 33 -34 yr old has-been that will under no circumstances be here next season. It is a matter of another poor personnel move whether Toeaina pans out or not is not the question.

Tell me, how many tackles did Odell make this season anyway? How many games did ole reliable Chris Henry win for us? These were stupid picks that a team like the Pats can gamble on, but not a struggling team that MUST make intelligent picks. WE tried to take shortcuts to becoming a quality team and look what happened. Many many teams had the sense to stay away from these 2.

First round picks may be a 50/50 proposition, but I bet if you check 1st rd picks picked in the top 15 which is usually the case with us, the percentage is more like 85-90%

themaninblack
01-08-2008, 07:10 PM
looks like rickscott should be the head of the bengals scouting department. as for our drafting over the past years i think its been pretty good. not great, but not horrible as you say. i think you'd be hard pressed to find a team that has as many 4th-7th rounders that they originally drafted that have become starters/contributors as we have.

PalmerToCJ
01-08-2008, 08:39 PM
Yeah Rick... It hasn't been amazing by any means but adequate I'd say. Pollack getting hurt can't be blamed on them, Henry being an idiot can but even then he didn't have as much off field issues as issues with the coaches which has pretty much been controlled here. Odell was a risk, a very good one IMO given his first year. The Nicholson pick sucked, Keiwan never turned out obviously... Otherwise guys like Steinbach/Whitworth/Andrews/JJ/Hall/Ndukwe/Madieu etc. haven't been bad picks. Even Weathersby was a good risk IMO.

I really don't have much of a problem with our drafting, more with FA signing and play calling.

rickscott
01-08-2008, 11:59 PM
OK, so I am now head of our scouting dept so let's get busy. Maybe I am overdoing it somewhat. Alot of good picks, but alot of bad ones too. I think I heard where Indy has ZERO starters that ever played with another team so that is pretty darn good. I do think they have to start drafting good character "leader" type guys to right the ship rather than picking up a 28 yr old Canada import that beats his wife. Whether he makes it or not, it says something about our priorities.

rickscott
01-09-2008, 12:25 AM
I did a little research for fun and found the following. You be the judge. In 5 drafts under Marvin, we have had an average 1st rd pick in the 17th position. We have had 1 Pro Bowl player out of all of those drafts, and that was Carson Palmer; a no brainer pick.

Starters still with club

2003 - Carson Palmer
Jeremi Johnson
2004 - Robert Geathers
Stacy Andrews
Madeiu Williams
2005 - Eric Ghiaciuc
2006 - Jonathan Joseph
Andrew Whitworth
Domata Peko
Landan Johnson
2007 - Leon Hall
Marvin White
Chine Ndukwe

41 players drafted during that period and 13 are starters, another 15 are with the club in some capacity...mostly injured. I don't really know how this compares to other clubs but I guess it's likely that better teams keep fewer of their draft picks

lost33cause
01-09-2008, 01:48 AM
Landon was before 2006 fyi.
and wasn't Toenia's tackles in preseason? I don't think those count. My only guess is that there was a reason he was on the practice squad.

themaninblack
01-09-2008, 02:02 AM
I did a little research for fun and found the following. You be the judge. In 5 drafts under Marvin, we have had an average 1st rd pick in the 17th position. We have had 1 Pro Bowl player out of all of those drafts, and that was Carson Palmer; a no brainer pick.

Starters still with club

2003 - Carson Palmer
Jeremi Johnson
2004 - Robert Geathers
Stacy Andrews
Madeiu Williams
2005 - Eric Ghiaciuc
2006 - Jonathan Joseph
Andrew Whitworth
Domata Peko
Landan Johnson
2007 - Leon Hall
Marvin White
Chine Ndukwe

41 players drafted during that period and 13 are starters, another 15 are with the club in some capacity...mostly injured. I don't really know how this compares to other clubs but I guess it's likely that better teams keep fewer of their draft picks

the ironic thing about this is that perhaps our best draft in recent memory came the year BEFORE marvin became our head coach. i think when you take everything into account considering our obviously understaffed/funded we've done pretty darn good. i'd def like to see more but our drafting really isn't our biggest problem by a long shot. maybe im a bit too homerish when i say i think this season was mostly just bad luck but thats what i think. we've got some problems but they are correctable problems that do not require a complete overhaul of our coaching staff. we're stuck with a ****** owner as well and that does not help us at all. maybe when we win/get to a superbowl ole mikey boy will start believing as his father once said.

rickscott
01-09-2008, 09:59 AM
I am hopeful that IF we get the return of Thurman, he and Brooks can form a very very strong portion of our LBing corp and we can turn this thing around in a hurry with just the addition of a solid DE and DT thru the draft and free agency. Fill those 2 positions on the D-line and concentrate on depth the rest of the draft

Landan was in 2004; sorry

PalmerToCJ
01-09-2008, 01:43 PM
A 3-4 would be VERY entertaining with Brooks/Odell in the middle... Good lord.

Now is the BEST time to swap we could possibly do. New DC, Odell hasn't played in 2 years, Ahmad has barely played and Geathers could move outside. Let Smith walk, put Peko at end... Draft/Sign a NT and put Frostee/Fanene at DE. Geathers/Odell/Ahmad/Jeanty could be a very solid LB core, draft a backup in the 2nd/3rd round.

themaninblack
01-09-2008, 06:52 PM
odell(even if he is half the player he once was) and ahmad in the middle with a big fat NT in front of them would be downright scary.

lost33cause
01-10-2008, 12:33 AM
I think personell wise we are more suited for the 3-4 than the 4-3.We would only need an NT if we switched the the 3-4 but we would need an NT and a DE if we stayed with the 4-3.

rickscott
01-10-2008, 06:09 AM
I agree Fanene and Peko could both be DEs and even Rucker who's at about 280 could work there also. There is a big kid out of Auburn that may come out that could be in the NT size also to add to our early options. I actually hope to see us draft 2 310 plus DTs in the first day. We must cut Thornton and Robinson.

PalmerToCJ
01-10-2008, 08:43 PM
I think personell wise we are more suited for the 3-4 than the 4-3.We would only need an NT if we switched the the 3-4 but we would need an NT and a DE if we stayed with the 4-3.

I agree. It's easier to generate a pass rush out of the 3-4 as long as you have a halfway creative DC, with the 4-3 it's more how talented your DE's are and they cost big money.

I think Peko would be a good 3-4 DE, between Rucker/Fanene and the dinosaurs we have they could take up the other DE spot. Obviously our biggest need is a NT then some depth at LB.

Good all around 4-3 DE's aren't easy to find and they're so important to a 4-3 defense, good 3-4 OLB's are easier to find and can be had in later rounds as well.

I will be very happy to see a swap to 3-4, if the new DC is a 3-4 guy then I'm happy even if it's not Ryan.

BroadwayJoe10
01-11-2008, 04:08 PM
I know that the idea of chad being traded has gotten a lot of talk over the last few months, but this was just recently on cinci express via rotoworld. Take it for what it's worth i guess; I don't beleive a thing thats published anymore until it's made official by the team, but i figured i'd share it with you guys.

Chad Johnson said on ESPN's Mike and Mike show Friday that he feels he was mistreated by the Bengals' organization last season.
"I was labeled selfish and a cancer, and it hurt," he said. "Fingers were pointed at me this year. If the team and the organization wants to further itself, I think you need to get rid of the problem. It hurt me. To do me that way and not to have my back. Things were said, and nobody came to my defense." That's pretty close to a trade demand. The situation between Johnson and the Bengals is set up to get ugly this offseason. J

PalmerToCJ
01-11-2008, 04:24 PM
Since the season ended Marvin and Carson have defended him, this is nothing that can't be fixed.

With that said, if someone pony's up a 1st rounder then I'm all over it (assuming they have at least some faith in Henry). TJ is the most important WR on the team hands down. I don't think it'd come down to it but I'm not opposed to trading him.

We're like the Ravens are at LB, we can get rid of a WR and bring in the next guy who will produce.

I hope it doesn't come down to that though.

themaninblack
01-11-2008, 11:46 PM
i would hate to see him go on such terms.

lost33cause
01-12-2008, 10:47 PM
I wish someone would just tell him to stop being a p u s s y.

nvot9
01-15-2008, 07:48 PM
In all honesty, what would a Jets, Bengals trade look like involving Chad Johnson? I don't think you guys would do Vilma straight up, but I also don't think Vilma + Coles is fair for us....

lost33cause
01-16-2008, 07:24 AM
I also don't think its going to happen at all. You know what kind of cap hit we would take? Chad is signed through 2011. We would be bending over backwards and taking it if we traded him. Consider that and his production, then with Brown saying Chad will be here through his contract it means hes staying.

PalmerToCJ
01-16-2008, 12:50 PM
Yeah, I'd say there's a good 95% chance he stays. A contract dispute would be the only thing that could let us allow him to leave.

themaninblack
01-16-2008, 01:04 PM
i dont see him going anywhere either. i love chad and i understand what he said but i don't think that was something the bengals did to him as much as it was ESPN and other media outlets. it was pretty terrible how they tried to make him look like the bad guy this year.

PalmerToCJ
01-16-2008, 06:14 PM
Marvin said in the press conference today that he's not going anywhere, only furthers the fact that he'll stay here.

Bucs4242
01-18-2008, 03:26 AM
Came here to find out CJs availability. Thanks guys, that cleared that up. I dont know why Cincy would trade him anyways. WR do not have good value in the trade market. I think he would get you guys a 2nd rounder, and that would be a bad deal for you guys

I guess the BUcs coud pursue Fitzgerald or Roy wiLLIAMS, we have tons of money and no big contracts so we are in as good a position to make a bigi move like this as anyone. If we cut Kevin Carter, Greg Spires and Chris Simms that puts us 39 mil under the cap

PalmerToCJ
01-18-2008, 02:46 PM
I think we could've got a 1st rounder for him (look what the 'phins got for Chambers)... Doesn't matter at this point. I think the cap hit was the biggest concern.

Hines
01-21-2008, 10:29 AM
I read that instead of going defense in the first round, they will surround Palmer with more offense. Most notably Stewert or Clady. Wow, just wow.

themaninblack
01-21-2008, 04:19 PM
i'd like to see where that came from^. If they go BPA i have no real problem with that though.

PalmerToCJ
01-21-2008, 07:17 PM
I have no idea why we'd take an OT.

Whitworth/Andrews can both play tackle and obviously we have Levi and Willie with big contracts. That won't happen.

Stewart would be nice obviously but with Irons already, Rudi with a decent contract and Kenny Watson is a leader... It doesn't seem very likely although I could see it happening.

The one good thing about producing more offense is if our defense can focus on the pass that's when they become dangerous.

themaninblack
01-22-2008, 01:21 AM
at this point i say there is no way they pass on sedrick ellis if he is still there at 9. maybe im jumping the gun a little bit but it seems like a perfect fit right now. im high on him and rivers actually. i think we could trade down a few spots to nab rivers though.

rickscott
01-22-2008, 12:50 PM
I want Ellis or Gholston at the 9 spot. I really don't want a LBer there. Regarding Chad, I think he is one of the 5 best and they don't get replaced easily. There are plenty of 1st rd WR failures out there. He needs some more discipline but maybe we'll see some maturity this coming season. I also think it's important to get a quality TE. It's BS that we can't draft a quality TE that can be a great receiver with some speed and teach him to be a decent blocker. All teams seem to have better TEs than us. At the RB position, it's a shame we don't have a guy that can run, catch and block too. I like Watson and Dorsey and hopefully Perry returns sound but I don't like the idea of taking up this much roster space with a "speed guy, a power guy, and a pass catcher at 1 position. It also pretty much tells the defense what our plan is for the upcoming play.

themaninblack
01-22-2008, 03:19 PM
i wouldn't mind gholston either and i even wouldnt mind seeing them take jonathan stewart just so we could have one RB that can potentially do it all. though i'd still like to see rudi/kenny irons/dede as a combo. right now i don't see why they'd keep watson or perry just because of the numbers.

rickscott
01-23-2008, 11:11 AM
I think Watson stays for his reliability and because they know what they got in him. Irons stays for sure since he's a high draft pick. I think it comes down to Rudi and DeDe and Perry...one of them or maybe 2 of them will be gone.

themaninblack
01-23-2008, 05:41 PM
i think youre the coaches will want to keep around watson but i personally think hes expendable. id like to see rudi get another shot and i tend to think hes a lock in their eyes. id say they will let perry and dede go but id rather it be watson and dede.

lost33cause
01-25-2008, 08:15 AM
They will only let Perry go if he doesn't perform in training camp and can't really let him go before then anyhow.

PalmerToCJ
01-25-2008, 11:23 PM
I hope we keep Perry but given the injury issues by no means would I be concerned if we let him walk... Or hobble whichever.

Aftermath
01-27-2008, 01:01 PM
Ok, so now we probably miss out on Ellis. I highly doubt we trade up.

Who do we take?

Gholston if hes there? Since Marvin is known for picking BPA, could it be possible we take an offensive player?

PalmerToCJ
01-27-2008, 04:52 PM
A lot is left to be determined between now and April... Ellis may or may not be there, same for Dorsey/Long/Gholston.

I think between Ellis/Long/Gholston/Dorsey one of them will be there. If not, I think the only offensive player we'd take is a RB.

Offensively I think Ryan, McFadden and Jake Long will go before us... That leaves 6 other picks. Maybe Stewart, Jenkins, Brohm etc. sneak in for spots we don't need.

Too soon to get too wrapped up in were people are, this time last year Alan Branch was basically a lock to go top 5.

The Legend
01-31-2008, 04:23 AM
brother reunion
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=/nfl/news/ABN4126672.htm

Jordan Palmer & Carson Palmer on same team how cool is that
Jordan Palmer signs 2 year deal

themaninblack
01-31-2008, 09:41 AM
I really hope Jordan gets to stay with the team as the number 2.

01-31-2008, 10:08 AM
brother reunion
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=/nfl/news/ABN4126672.htm

Jordan Palmer & Carson Palmer on same team how cool is that
Jordan Palmer signs 2 year deal

whoa, thats awesome! Hope he sticks around as the number two.

PalmerToCJ
02-13-2008, 04:49 PM
Marvin says we're going to look at RB's in the draft. If only Felix Jones could fall to us in the 2nd.

themaninblack
02-13-2008, 09:23 PM
thats a waste unless its in rounds 5,6,7 or an extra pick.

PalmerToCJ
02-18-2008, 10:40 PM
Dan Santucci now listed as a Center on the team website... Interesting...

PalmerToCJ
05-27-2009, 10:43 PM
Figured I'd bump things in this thread given things are a little slow now.

Just the lull before the storm...

Shahin
05-28-2009, 07:42 PM
damn first posts for days. what the hell is goin on?

Bengalsrocket
05-28-2009, 09:05 PM
damn first posts for days. what the hell is goin on?

The Thread got lost it's sticky tag and we threw all of last season's discussion + this year's draft into various different threads.

I assume now that this thread is sticky again we'll be using it more often.

PalmerToCJ
05-29-2009, 08:49 PM
It has been very quiet in Bengal land... This is definitely the most boring part of the year for football. The draft is over, rookies aren't being signed yet and we're all just waiting for camp to start.

Bengalsrocket
05-30-2009, 07:04 AM
It has been very quiet in Bengal land... This is definitely the most boring part of the year for football. The draft is over, rookies aren't being signed yet and we're all just waiting for camp to start.

Hard Knocks might make these forums brighter this year.

SC Igniter
05-30-2009, 03:48 PM
Hard Knocks might make these forums brighter this year.

For what its worth, I was watching the Dallas hard knocks reruns today and was surprised how much Tank Johnson was involved the team, he was the leader in the team huddles and was very involved. Roy Williams for that matter was kinda of a team joker, he was always teasing TO. This should help us out.

BmoreBlackByrdz
05-30-2009, 03:51 PM
how do you guys think you fair against the Browns? Better? Worse? pretty even? Who will be last in the North next year? Or will it even be the Ravens or Steelers? (trying to get this thing active :D )

hobbes2053
05-30-2009, 08:12 PM
how do you guys think you fair against the Browns? Better? Worse? pretty even? Who will be last in the North next year? Or will it even be the Ravens or Steelers? (trying to get this thing active :D )

I don't think that I'm alone in saying this, but I have high expectations for this year. I think that we're going to surprise a ton of people this year with our FA and draft additions and new overall mentality. From what I can tell, nearly everyone on the team is hungry and tired of losing and that ought to carry over onto the field.

PalmerToCJ
05-31-2009, 02:16 AM

Considering the fact that we finished ahead of the Browns after how awful we are last year, I'm not concerned about them.

Either the Ravens or Steelers will take a step back, it always happens for whatever reason. Just how the NFL works I guess.

If and only if we can protect Carson, we're a playoff team... I have no doubts about that but it's a big if.

Bengalsrocket
05-31-2009, 08:06 AM
A lot has to happen for us to usurp (yah I just used that word) Baltimore or Pittsburgh. Our defense has to be equal to, or greater than last year's defense (Plus add a pass rush). Our offense has to step it with Palmer being healthy and Cedric Benson proving he's a worthy starting running back in this league.

Furthermore, we have to win division games. We almost never win against Pittsburgh, and I think we're under .500 with Baltimore. Our schedule isn't that tough, the only play off teams we play this year are Ravens, Steelers, Vikings, Chargers. We need to win at least half of our games (three out of six ) against the play off teams.

SC Igniter
06-01-2009, 05:55 AM
Agree that we have a lot to prove before we can be taken seriously again. Which is OK with me. I'm sure the coaches will use this as motivation to get our team back to were it needs to be. The great thing about this off season is the light at the end of tunnel is in sight. One can argue our offense and defense will be much better than last year. I'm excited about our team!

Remember, the Steelers and Ravens will also have easier schedules compared to last year. We need to beat them plain and simple. So 50% against playoff teams is the minimum in my mind, to win the division we probably need to be better than that.

hobbes2053
06-03-2009, 01:05 AM
http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/videos/nfl-network-ochocinco-in-the-ring-6209/870bc7fa-17b6-4b98-8989-c623c38afafa

Chad seems poised to have a huge year.

Shahin
06-03-2009, 03:57 AM
http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/videos/nfl-network-ochocinco-in-the-ring-6209/870bc7fa-17b6-4b98-8989-c623c38afafa

Chad seems poised to have a huge year.

i can dig that.

Shahin
06-05-2009, 05:51 PM
gotta love the double posts.

anyways, whats this i hear about Odom coming in bigger/stronger/faster this year? i know it's the offseason but the longer it goes on the higher my hopes get.

SC Igniter
06-06-2009, 06:04 AM
Interesting Chad interview on NFL network. Admitting last year was a bust due to his lack of commitment and him dwelling on the negatives. Past season pisses me off for many reasons and Chad was one of them. Chad indicated that he wont let that happen again and is gearing up for a big year with Palmer (wouldn't of been better for him to be in working with CP during voul workouts?).

Simply put to avoid the Chad paradox is for him to have a blow out year with a smile. He needs to come in during the mandatory workouts and be a leader for our WR corps. I was bummed about our WR situation after TJ left for about a week or so until we signed Coles. Our passing offense can be really good next year considering all the pieces coming together. Healthy/Stronger Palmer with improved OL, Chad rebound, Cole-Henry-Caldwell-Simpson contributing at a high level, TE's more involved in the game plan. Establishing a running game again will also go a long ways to improving Palmer stats.

PalmerToCJ
06-08-2009, 08:24 PM
A lot of positive news coming out from Henry and Chad... Talk about odd. Really starting to get my hopes up for Henry.

Jeremy Jarmon is going to enter the supp. draft. Would really like to see us take a shot at him, he can get at the passer and also has dropped back in coverage.

A 2nd team All-SEC defensive player is tough to pass up. Eagles are interested I know.

TitleTown088
06-08-2009, 11:04 PM
A lot of positive news coming out from Henry and Chad... Talk about odd. Really starting to get my hopes up for Henry.

Your name is relevant here... The question is who's receiving?

Chad Ochocinco revealed that he spoke to Carson Palmer for 40-45 minutes in a phone conversation Monday.
"We're good," Chad said. "We're like Brokeback Mountain."

PalmerToCJ
06-09-2009, 12:23 AM
Well, according to my name and the positions they play... I would only assume Chad is receiving and Carson is dishing it out. Chad always gets beat up when he gets it in the middle though so you never know how long it will last.

StripedWalrus
06-09-2009, 01:13 PM
Well, according to my name and the positions they play... I would only assume Chad is receiving and Carson is dishing it out. Chad always gets beat up when he gets it in the middle though so you never know how long it will last.

Chad seems to be getting it in gear now. His head seems to actually be on straight. So that means one hell of a WR corp this year! Hells yea....Johnson, Coles, Henry, Caldwell, Simpson. Its gunna be magical.

PalmerToCJ
06-09-2009, 09:53 PM
"I need the fans to embrace me. I know people are mad at me. I read the message boards, but I've apologized 85 times," Ochocinco said. "If they can embrace me, I can spread my wings and be myself. When they're mad at me, I don't know if I can be myself. I'm an emotional guy. I want them to know that I love them and I want to win. I want to be on point with everybody on the team and win. I know I've been frustrated when we haven't won. Maybe now when I vent, I should just do it to the fans on the message boards."

He's trying to make things right I suppose. I like the attitude of him and Henry, I had given up hope with both of them. If they can jump on board and play to their abilities, our offense can regain its form.

This just looks right
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/126300/carsonandocho_thumb_medium.jpg

Bengals78
06-10-2009, 12:01 AM
Carson dont look too happy there.

PalmerToCJ
06-12-2009, 11:46 AM
LOL... So Ghiaciuc said the locker room was a distraction via people like Chad. Here's Chad's response:

Ghiaciuc's play was a distraction. Of all people to call me that.

Shahin
06-12-2009, 01:45 PM
LOL... So Ghiaciuc said the locker room was a distraction via people like Chad. Here's Chad's response:

lol classic.

edit// nice, was just about to say: can't wait to get a new page going.

PalmerToCJ
06-12-2009, 09:12 PM
I actually laughed out loud when I read that. That's something I would've said.

He needs to be the fun Chad again, I disliked him last year more than I ever have a Bengal (maybe less Ifayeni Ohalete but I only disliked him because he was so awful).

Bengals78
06-12-2009, 09:30 PM
I actually laughed out loud when I read that. That's something I would've said.

He needs to be the fun Chad again, I disliked him last year more than I ever have a Bengal (maybe less Ifayeni Ohalete but I only disliked him because he was so awful).

If i he is fun Chad again I wont mind as much. But if he wants me to ever call him Ochocinco he better have a Anquan year this year

BengalMedic
06-15-2009, 11:34 AM
What's up ??

In regards to the Steelers and Ravens, the only team we have a realistic chance to jump is the Ravens and that isn't likely in my opinion. I say the Ravens due to their losses on the defensive side of the ball coupled with coaching losses. I won't say they are getting older, because whenever that is brought up, they go out and dominate defensively.

I say it will be difficult to jump either based upon the strength of schedule for both teams. We have a pretty easy (looking) schedule, but based on last year finish, the Steelers and Ravens have like the 4th and 5th easiest schedule. It a year where if we can manage 9 wins, I might not be enough to do anything in our own division.

Our team appears to have great potential and anything can happen, but I will take the wait and see approach before I claim the team a playoff contender.

PalmerToCJ
06-15-2009, 07:32 PM
In the near future, I will never pick us to finish over the Steelers. I mean really, even when we won the division we split with them in the season.

I definitely think we can jump the Ravens. Teams regress all the time after having great years and making the playoffs with no major reason for it. Not to mention injuries happen.

So basically, the ceiling for my hopes this year is to get in the playoffs as the Wild Card. I definitely think we can do it but some things have to go our way.

PalmerToCJ
06-18-2009, 06:19 PM
With the start of mini-camp we'll finally start getting some news. Some good tidbits and quotes from today but this is the one thing that bothers me.

Crocker and Roy Williams lined up as the starters at safety with Chinedum coming in during nickel packages. Now, obviously the starters on the 1st day of mini-camp aren't locks to start the season but it's just troubling to me for any variation of the defense that doesn't have Ndukwe out there. I would argue he is our best playmaker.

themaninblack
06-18-2009, 08:51 PM
Yeah, I hope this isn't how its really going to be. Ndukwe needs to be on the field as much as possible.

StripedWalrus
06-18-2009, 09:40 PM
anyone here think Kyle Cook

http://prod.static.bengals.clubs.nfl.com/assets/clubimages/centerpieces/cook090618.jpg

Looks a little like this guy

http://www.variety.com/graphics/photos/_mugf/farley_kevin.jpg

http://images.starpulse.com/pictures/2007/11/10/thumbs/Kevin%20Farley-ALO-000164.jpg

Bengals78
06-19-2009, 11:15 AM
I wanna take my copy of American Carol down to Georgetown with me. Get it signed by him.

PalmerToCJ
06-19-2009, 11:37 AM
From Carson comparing this season to last season:
“In my seven years here, this has been as good as its been,” Palmer said. “The mindset of the team, the amount of distractions is down and the focus is where it needs to be. As far as talent wise, this is probably the best talent we've had but the most maturity we've had by far. We're where we need to be, we’re headed in the right direction.”

He compares the team this year to the team last year.

“You compare where we are to last year, you could just tell we were a bad football team,” Palmer said. “Going into training camp, coming out of training camp. Week 1, it just felt terrible. We were out of synch, out of rhythm, all of our guys weren’t there. It was a scary year going in, then we start 0-2, 0-3, 0-4, you could see it coming.

I know Carson is always positive but I'm starting to hear a lot of genuine things about how the locker room finally seems right and everyone is focused.

Chad Johnson on next season
"It's going to be a great year; we're going to the playoffs," Ochocinco guaranteed during Thursday's opening of mandatory minicamp. "We're going ... We're making progress. I mean, I see it, and I can come out on a limb and say what we're going to do."

Bratkowski on the team
"The most pleasant thing has been the atmosphere here. It’s been very upbeat. I’ve had players — guys who have been here a while — mention to me that there’s a very serious focus and intensity to everybody that they haven’t felt in a while. That’s a good sign."

Zimmer on Maualuga and Roy Williams
"I think he's a lot better in coverage than people said he was. This guy can play three downs. They say all that crap, plus he can blitz. Why take the guy off the field if he can rush the quarterback? ... I think Maualuga will show up even more when we get to training camp because he's a football player and he's physical."

Roy Williams on how they're going to lay the wood this year
“If anything, we’re going to be a physical secondary,” (Chris) Crocker said.

Said (Roy) Williams: “We bring a presence that we’re not backing down from anyone and we’re going to hit you. We’ll be able to let receivers know that we’re back there and we’re head hunting.”

Kyle Cook does have a strong resemblence, put a helmet on the other dude and I can't tell them apart. Cook apparently got into it with Dhani, bravo to him for having the peaches.

There's a LOT of good quotes on www.CincyJungle.com, that's where I'm pulling my stuff from.

Bengals78
06-19-2009, 01:53 PM
Kyle Cook does have a strong resemblence, put a helmet on the other dude and I can't tell them apart. Cook apparently got into it with Dhani, bravo to him for having the peaches.

There's a LOT of good quotes on www.CincyJungle.com, that's where I'm pulling my stuff from.

Hopefully this means the coaches really knew what they were doing with the draft and waiting on Luigs. I really hope Cook can pan out as the coaches hope. He has the presence of a Rich Braham if he has the stones already to get into it with the globetrotter

StripedWalrus
06-19-2009, 02:52 PM
Hopefully this means the coaches really knew what they were doing with the draft and waiting on Luigs. I really hope Cook can pan out as the coaches hope. He has the presence of a Rich Braham if he has the stones already to get into it with the globetrotter

Seems he got into it with Jeanty today as well. I hope he transfers this fire well into games. If so he could be very good.

Also seems like Simpson is not doing well...Coles, Henry, and Johnson are all doing well and not much has been said about Caldwell but Simpson seems to be struggling. In the last article about Cook there was also no mention of Simpson. Carson actually commented on Chatman and said he was doing well as well as the other WR's but no mention of Simpson...thats a shame really.

Bengals78
06-19-2009, 04:14 PM
Seems he got into it with Jeanty today as well. I hope he transfers this fire well into games. If so he could be very good.

Also seems like Simpson is not doing well...Coles, Henry, and Johnson are all doing well and not much has been said about Caldwell but Simpson seems to be struggling. In the last article about Cook there was also no mention of Simpson. Carson actually commented on Chatman and said he was doing well as well as the other WR's but no mention of Simpson...thats a shame really.

We kinda knew that he would be a year or 2 project once we got him. I am gonna be patient with him. He has all the tools they need to just put it together

Bengalsrocket
06-19-2009, 08:19 PM
Bad time to be a young WR in cincy. Henry trying to pull himself together, Chad reinventing himself and Coles is working on familiarizing himself with a new system. 3 proven receivers all fighting to be put on the field as much as possible.

PalmerToCJ
06-19-2009, 09:39 PM
Seems like Caldwell and Henry are really stepping up. Especially Henry, if he can get it together look out. I gotta say I've also not heard much of anything about Simpson.

Regardless, I like the idea of running 4 WR sets with CJ-Coles-Henry-Caldwell. They'll beat you deep, short, whichever.

I'm optimistic about the skill spots on offense, just don't know what to expect out of the Oline. If they can't produce, doesn't matter what the other guys are doing because they won't have the time to get it done. Seems like Cook will be our starter at Center.

themaninblack
06-19-2009, 10:08 PM
This does really help out Simpson in the long run though. We all knew how raw he was when we drafted him and given the athletic ability he brings to the table I believe it is worth the risk. If our receivers can be as good as we think they can be it will take some pressure off of him and allow us to insert him into games when we feel like we can use him instead of just throwing him into the fire. I just hope they can keep him activated for most of the season.

StripedWalrus
06-19-2009, 10:43 PM
I m just very concerned about him because before camps it was "We need to play Simpson More and more" but now all you hear is "Simpson isnt doing"

PalmerToCJ
06-20-2009, 11:55 AM
Speaking of the WR core, via Joe Reddy.
GETTING AHEAD: With the offense undergoing a reinstallation of the playbook, coordinator Bob Bratkowski has been kept on his toes by Mike Zimmer and the defense.

Bratkowski has been impressed with the defense’s performance, especially when applying pressure.

“The blitz packages have been strong. It’s been exciting because it forces us to be spot on,” Bratkowski said.

Bratkowski was impressed with the play of his wide receivers on Friday. Chad Ochocinco made some nice receptions on sideline patterns while Laveranues Coles made three nice plays. Andre Caldwell and Chris Henry also got into the act with Henry hauling in two long receptions.

SECONDARY VS. RECEIVERS: Chad Ochocinco remarked that facing this year’s receivers is kind’ve like facing a 4x100 relay team. While the receivers have gotten the upper hand during some drills, the secondary has appreciated the challenge.

“They’re more versatile than in previous years,” said cornerback Leon Hall. “Chris (Henry) gives you the tall receiver that can stretch you down the field, Laveranues is crafty and Chad always makes plays. It makes it better for us to see receivers like that.”

Safety Chinedum Ndukwe provided some moments for the secondary during the morning session with two interceptions.
Again, no mention of Simpson. Go figure Ndukwe would be making plays....

SC Igniter
06-21-2009, 07:52 AM
My take away on where we stand so far - good reviews across our Defense and with Palmer/Receiving corps (less Simpson or TE's). No real mention of RB or OL at this point other than Cook and Whitworth, anxious to see how this develops, this will be key to our O as everything indicates our passing will be off the charts should this occur. We need to give credit to the off season moves as everything seems to be meshing. It was nice to hear Lewis positive comments coming out after these mini camp/workouts. No distractions or significant injuries. I get a sense from everything reported that this team has really moved on from last year.

My wish list before training camp starts:

* No holdouts, especially this year we need Smith, Ray, Johnson in on day 1 competing and getting reps. All 3 of these guys will have an impact to our team, we all know that Andre is probably the most important one to get in. This cuts 2 ways, the front office needs to do their part. It may be wishful thinking but it my opinion its important to continue this teams development and so far its been good.
* henry continue to behave like an adult.
* Chad continue to act like a Bengal.
* palmer continue to strengthen his arm/elbow.

themaninblack
06-21-2009, 01:34 PM
Turns out MJ had a sports hernia all of last season at GT(maybe a big time blessing in disguise for us?). Chick says he has been the best player on the defense during these minicamps and has gotten snaps at DE, DT, and OLB.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/cincinnati-bengals/bengals-3rd-round-pick-johnson-showing-versatility-171548.html

If he can come in this year and wreak some havoc in the pass rush it will go a long way in helping this defense. Really excited to see what he can bring to the table and how his versatility will allow for the D to cause some confusion.

Bengalsrocket
06-22-2009, 02:24 AM
My take away on where we stand so far - good reviews across our Defense and with Palmer/Receiving corps (less Simpson or TE's). No real mention of RB or OL at this point other than Cook and Whitworth, anxious to see how this develops, this will be key to our O as everything indicates our passing will be off the charts should this occur...

People have been talking about Cedric. Apparently he's been impressive for th team and they look forward to him knowing all the plays this year, rather than half.

StripedWalrus
06-22-2009, 03:52 AM
People have been talking about Cedric. Apparently he's been impressive for th team and they look forward to him knowing all the plays this year, rather than half.

Carson has been high on him all offseason.

crites09
06-23-2009, 08:44 AM
Hey Guys, I always read the boards and decided it needs some more Bengal love.

How do you guys feel about Jerome Simpson? Personally, I am not impressed with him. I was happy last year when we got him, but it looks like he hasn't progressed all that much. WR went from being a position of need to one of our strongest stiffest positions. We have Ocho, Coles, Henry, Caldwell that are locks. How many WR's make the 53 man? I like Quan Cosby and "Downtown" Freddie Brown they already show more then Simpson but the upside is ridiculous for Simpson. So what do you think?

themaninblack
06-23-2009, 04:53 PM
I'm not worried about him at this point and I think much is being made about nothing right now. If it comes down to him, Cosby, and Brown I don't think he's got much to be concerned with in all likelihood. I could, however, see them placing him on the PS if he is rly doing that bad and just needs to be able to focus on his own stuff. That would be pretty extreme but they did cut Sherry, Purify, and Urrutia IIRC so there is room for him. It would probably unleash all hell in Bengaldom but it could be good for him.

Bengalsrocket
06-23-2009, 08:20 PM
It's really a shame Henry has the unreliable label attached to him, because if he didn't then we could have used him to step into TJ's position and not signed Coles, which would make room for the back end of our depth chart. I'm not upset we got Coles, but I was sort of looking forward to the youth movement at receiver we had going.

PalmerToCJ
06-23-2009, 08:58 PM
While I'm certainly not thrilled with the progression of Simpson, when he was drafted I figured it would be a good 3 years till we started to see the desired results. I will only be worried about him if he doesn't produce in year 3.

It seems almost sure that Chad, Coles, Caldwell and Henry will be the big 4 receivers with Henry/Caldwell battling it out for PT. Simpson has a roster spot, no doubt but I still don't expect a lot from him this season.

I was a little unsure about our WR's heading into this season but with Henry apparently getting his head on half straight, I'm pretty confident.

My real concerns now lie with the offensive line. I think the defense and skill players on offense are good enough to get us to the playoffs, the Oline just has to protect Carson so they can get things done.

StripedWalrus
06-24-2009, 12:23 AM
It's really a shame Henry has the unreliable label attached to him, because if he didn't then we could have used him to step into TJ's position and not signed Coles, which would make room for the back end of our depth chart. I'm not upset we got Coles, but I was sort of looking forward to the youth movement at receiver we had going.

Coles has always been one of my fav WR in the NFL. I am very glad the Bengals signed him and wouldnt have it any other way. Also it is better to be stacked at WR than simply be doing well at WR. There are very few teams our there that have a WR corp as deep as ours.

crites09
06-24-2009, 01:26 AM
It's not that I've given up on Simpson. Just my worry is that the way Hobson makes it sound from the Bengals website is that he is regressing and struggling with the adjustments to playbook. If he is making all these mental mistakes in mini camp in tshirt shorts and helmet what is going to do with pads on?

The concern with the Oline soley lies on Kyle Cook. I like the way they talk him up and I really how he does good. We couldn't have asked for a better start to the year with a new C taking the reigns though. We play Denver (first year in 3-4) then Green Bay (first year in 3-4). After these two games Cook can at least have some experience against the NT's. Then we pray he holds up against Hampton, then Rogers THEN Ngata. I see us 3-2 after the first 5 games. Wins against DEN, GB and CLE. After Cook has these games past him and gains confidence in his abilities I have no worries about the Oline.

SC Igniter
06-24-2009, 06:09 AM
I think there are more outstanding issues with our OL other than just the C position. I like Whitworth's tough attitude, but he stills has a lot to prove to be a top performer at LT, so one can argue this is just has important as settling the C position question mark with our OL. We need to give Palmer the time he needs. Also, Andre Smith is still a wild card in my mind at the pros, I hope he will dominate at RT but there still is a big jump that he needs to make to the next level. Also I am worried about a prolong holdout with him that can affect his development during training camp.

crites09
06-24-2009, 10:36 AM
I am fine the T positions. When Whitworth did play LT he did well as did Anthony Collins. I was hoping Whitworth would stay inside at G though because that is a weak position for us. I see us drafting a G early next year.

themaninblack
06-24-2009, 12:39 PM
Yea Im not rly worried at all with Whitworth at LT. While I would still like to see Anthony Collins in there instead of Nate Livings(not rly a knock on Nate though) Whitworth is simply one of the better/best offensive lineman in this league. I hope Cook can hold down the middle better than Guychick and it seems hes got the mental part which is really the MOST important thing with Centers. He's also got bull strength and appears to have quite the nasty streak. I wouldn't be surprised if he's our Center for more than this year and if he's not the answer we have a nice insurance policy in Luigs.

SC Igniter
06-26-2009, 06:09 AM
I am not bashing Whitworth but I think the jury is still out on him handling the pass rush for the whole season. His agility is suspect and I just don't have him in the best OL category at this time. He will have his shot this year at LT and I really hope he can pull it off. He is a guy who you want to succeed because of his intensity. I think you can poke holes across our OL. All I am saying is that Cook (or the Center position), Andre Smith and Whitworth are question marks for me going into training camp.

Bengalsrocket
06-26-2009, 07:25 AM
Yah our O-line is something to worry about, but I also believe it's the only thing we really need to worry about right now. TE and DE are a little suspect, and possibly fullback (though hopefully we don't do many formations that involve a fullback). But for the most part, if we get the O-line working we can really run the clock with Cedric and hopefully put some points on the board.

Bengals78
06-26-2009, 11:56 AM
I read SN the other day and they have us taking Carlos Dunlap at 6 next year (they just used this years draft order)

Bengalsrocket
06-26-2009, 12:51 PM
I read SN the other day and they have us taking Carlos Dunlap at 6 next year (they just used this years draft order)

I'd be ok with that depending on how Geathers performs this year. Hopefully we're not drafting top 10 again though.

crites09
06-26-2009, 02:04 PM
I don't think we go after DE next year until later in draft because there is already so much tied up in DE and with MJ here I just don't see it happening. I think they go OL again next year.

Bengals78
06-26-2009, 03:06 PM
Bruce Friggin Campbell would make my day. Move him inside to guard just to make room for him.

PalmerToCJ
07-03-2009, 01:15 AM
I read about where Andre Smith is wanting to get a deal done to be in camp on time. It made me happy at first but then I realized, who wouldn't feel that way.

Given our FO's long history of not getting deals done on time, I can't help but feel like this is going to be another hold out... Mostly given how high the pick was and the money he'll be guaranteed.

I really think it's huge for our season to get him in camp on time. Given the question marks surrounding our Oline, we have to have everyone there and getting ready.

I'm gone for the weekend but man, training camp can't get here fast enough.

themaninblack
07-03-2009, 01:29 AM
I want him in camp from day one as much as the next guy but at the same time I realize its not as crucial as most positions to have him there right from the start. Having played OL for a long time I can tell you that there is very little difference in scheme at any level. He will be fine if he misses a week or 2 and we shouldn't get crazy worked up about it. If he can get a couple of weeks of TC and some time in preseason games I'll be happy with it. I just don't want to see him going into the preseason without playing a snap.

SC Igniter
07-03-2009, 07:13 AM
I want him in camp from day one as much as the next guy but at the same time I realize its not as crucial as most positions to have him there right from the start. Having played OL for a long time I can tell you that there is very little difference in scheme at any level. He will be fine if he misses a week or 2 and we shouldn't get crazy worked up about it. If he can get a couple of weeks of TC and some time in preseason games I'll be happy with it. I just don't want to see him going into the preseason without playing a snap.

Thats good information on OL learning curve to the pros. While not wishing for a holdout, my gut is saying otherwise because of the agent flip flop and Bengal's FO history of negotiations. So its good news if he is talking about not wanting this to happen. Based on what you said a small holdout is no big deal, we just need to make sure its not a prolonged one though.

hobbes2053
07-03-2009, 07:20 AM
If he is as committed to getting to TC on time as he says he is, it shouldn't be too long before the deal gets done. At least, I hope so.

PalmerToCJ
07-10-2009, 11:20 PM
Yep, still waiting for training camp to start. Granted, I think it's more important to get the draft picks signed. It's happening slowly but surely.

Shahin
07-13-2009, 09:21 PM
boooooooooring!

PalmerToCJ
07-14-2009, 12:12 PM
Hey, it's either this or having players arrested/QB's recovering from ACL reconstruction lol... I'll take the boredom thank you.

Shahin
07-14-2009, 02:24 PM
touche, my friend.

crites09
07-17-2009, 02:08 PM
How do you guys feel about cutting the 2 other punters we had on the roster awhile ago for the newly signed rook, Kevin Huber.

Personally, I like the move to cut the 2 other punters, well Larson anyways. Huber had a monster leg in college and shouldn't be a "Huge Learning Curve" with punting the ball. He will have to get used to getting rid of the ball quicker maybe but I can't see it being too hard. It would have been nice to see them have another punter there for competition purpose though kind of push Huber to be the best he can be type thing. Whenever the Bengals.com writes about the kid he always sounds determined to make an impact and sounds like he wants to be the best at his position so hopefully that translates to good play during games. Good Special Teams play can change a game so much. The difference between starting inside your 5 yard line and starting on the 20 is ridiculous and its only 15 yards....

Bengalsrocket
07-17-2009, 02:21 PM
How do you guys feel about cutting the 2 other punters we had on the roster awhile ago for the newly signed rook, Kevin Huber.

Personally, I like the move to cut the 2 other punters, well Larson anyways. Huber had a monster leg in college and shouldn't be a "Huge Learning Curve" with punting the ball. He will have to get used to getting rid of the ball quicker maybe but I can't see it being too hard. It would have been nice to see them have another punter there for competition purpose though kind of push Huber to be the best he can be type thing. Whenever the Bengals.com writes about the kid he always sounds determined to make an impact and sounds like he wants to be the best at his position so hopefully that translates to good play during games. Good Special Teams play can change a game so much. The difference between starting inside your 5 yard line and starting on the 20 is ridiculous and its only 15 yards....

I actually read a stat somewhere that said somewhere along the lines of punters increasing their average net ypp by 10 or so after 3 years in the league. I guess it has to do with accuracy though (kicking out of bounds instead of letting the returner get it).

I'm excited about Huber though and I think he'll quickly become a fan-favorite since he was homegrown.

crites09
07-17-2009, 02:56 PM
I actually read a stat somewhere that said somewhere along the lines of punters increasing their average net ypp by 10 or so after 3 years in the league. I guess it has to do with accuracy though (kicking out of bounds instead of letting the returner get it).

I'm excited about Huber though and I think he'll quickly become a fan-favorite since he was homegrown.

Absolutely. I was hoping they would draft Huber. I saw him play last year when I came down to Cincinnati to watch the Bengals vs. Jags game. I saw that UC played that same weekend so I snagged some tickets to the game against USF and it was amazing... The best thing about the Bengals game was that it was our first win and my buddy had to listen to me beak him the whole drive home with was 23 hours... haha

Bengalsrocket
07-20-2009, 08:01 AM
Absolutely. I was hoping they would draft Huber. I saw him play last year when I came down to Cincinnati to watch the Bengals vs. Jags game. I saw that UC played that same weekend so I snagged some tickets to the game against USF and it was amazing... The best thing about the Bengals game was that it was our first win and my buddy had to listen to me beak him the whole drive home with was 23 hours... haha

Clearly you need to come to more games. When you're here, we win!

Speaking of which, I'ma try to get to 3-4 games this year, I didn't make it out at all last year (no, not because we sucked).

critesy
07-22-2009, 03:51 PM
Is anyone else kind of surprised we cut Castille? He isn't a big playmaker but CB depth isn't something we have.

crites09
07-22-2009, 03:52 PM
That was supposed to be under my account not my brothers

Bengalsrocket
07-22-2009, 04:34 PM
Is anyone else kind of surprised we cut Castille? He isn't a big playmaker but CB depth isn't something we have.

I'm a little surprised. We do have a lot of safeties that can play the nickle package I'm sure. I'm more worried about JJ or Leon going down and having them replaced.

PalmerToCJ
07-23-2009, 12:11 AM
I think we'll definitely see 3 safeties a lot this year.

Crocker, Chinny and especially Marvin White (IMO) are solid in coverage. The only problem we run into is when Joseph is inevitably injured, unfortunately. I will say, David Jones filled in pretty solidly last year given how awful he was in the preseason. I think a lot of it has to do with our safeties finally not sucking.

They just did a big segment on Carson and the Bengals on NFL Live. It was pretty good, gets me pumped for the season. Carson saying he's 100% and calling Henry 'Randy Moss Jr.' which when his head is together, I can't argue with. It was just nice to see Carson kind of laid back and not worried about all the BS we've had to deal with the past several seasons.

The thing that is killing me is that we have to wait and see how the Oline is going to turn out. They're so massive for our success yet such a huge question mark in my eyes. I'm worried about the running game to some extent but if Carson gets time, they won't be able to stack the box so it once again all goes back to the Oline.

I'm still most excited about the defense and I feel like they're definitely the most stable of the two units, I have high hopes for them. Keep the Steelers/Ravens under 20 points and we've got a chance in the division.

There's reason to be excited about this year, that's for sure.

Here's a link to the interview, good stuff.
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth/0-3-195/Video--Palmer-confident-heading-into--09-season.html

crites09
07-23-2009, 10:52 PM
Absolutely. I have high hopes for the defense this year. I was so happy that we didn't take Raji in the draft, he was one of the players I had hoped we wouldn't take because we have the DTs we need to succeed. Pat Sims had a ridiculous rookie campaign when they actually started playing him. Peko is solid player not flashy but gets the job done. The addition of Tank Johnson will help the pass rush a lot. Hopefully Jason Shirley keeps making strides as well because that is a big body to move in the middle. Imagine Tank and Sims at DT together with Geathers and M. Johnson rushing on the outside on 3rd and long.

I was also freaking out during the draft wanting the Bengals to trade up to get Maualuga and then he fell into our laps and I jumped for joy. I don't know if I agree completely with moving him to SLB for the first year but I trust Marvin and Zimmer. Dhani has also done a great job playing the middle for us and is a great mentor for Rivers and Rey.

I can't say anything but good things about the secondary either. They have played real well. Hall is as advertised and is a solid corner. Joseph when healthy can be a game changer if he ever learns how to catch the ball. Crocker, Ndukwe, Williams, White... I love that Safety Core. Then to think we have ST players like Hebert who I hope stays on the team and Corey Lynch. We are low on depth at Corner but I think Lynch and Crocker can play fill in where needed.

I did a roster analysis back on May 9th to predict the Bengals Roster on the Bengals MB. Here it is I'll share it with you guys.

Offense

QB: C. Palmer, JT O'Sullivan (2)
RB: C. Benson, B. Leonard, B. Scott (3)
FB: F. Vakapuna, C. Pressley (2)
WR: C. Ocho Cinco, L. Coles, C. Henry, A. Caldwell, J. Simpson, Q. Cosby (6)
TE: R. Kelly, C. Coffman, B. Utecht (3)
OL: A. Smith, A. Whitworth, K. Cook, B. Williams, A. Collins, N. Livings, J. Lugis, D. Roland, Evan Mathis (9)

Total: 25

Breakdown:

QB: Only two QB's on the roster to save space for someone else. J. Palmer can be put on practice squad.

RB/FB: James Johnson and Marlon Lucky will both be PS players this year. Benson will be the feature back with Benard Scott giving that change of pace element. Brian Leonard will be able to come in on some 3rd downs receiving the ball as well as running it effectively. His main use will come in the 4th quarter along with Fui Vakapuna to carry the ball and beat down on a tired defense getting about 5-10 carries in the 4th quarter to spell Benson. Pressley will be used as the main blocking fullback.

WR: Really the only spot for arguement is the 6th receiver spot.Looking at that spot your looking for a player that provides you with some sort of value. IMO the player thats going to give us the most value is Quan Cosby. He can return punts and also will be able to play on the ST cover plays. Brown, Purify will be practice squad and Urrutia will be cut possible practice squad again.

TE: Reggie Kelly still plays an important role on this team in the locker room and provides help along the line with blocking. We are going to have an inexperienced line and if we want any chance to succeed they will need to build confidence so having Kelly in to block will help the line tremendously. If it doesn't hurt the cap to much I can see Utecht getting cut if Coffman has a good camp. They are similar style players but Coffman has a lot more upside imo so he will be kept.

Defense

DL: R. Geathers, A. Odom, M. Johnson, P. Sims, T. Johnson, D. Peko, J. Shirley, C. Mcdonald, F. Rucker (9)

LB: K. Rivers, D. Jones, R. Maualuga, B. Johnson, R. Jeanty, D. Blackstock, A. Hodge (7)

DB: J. Joseph, L. Hall, C. Crocker, C. Ndukwe, R. Williams, M. White, M. Trent, D. Jones, C. Lynch (9)

Total: 25

Breakdown:

DL: Robert Geather and Antwaan Odom are still the starting DE's on this team hands down. Tank Johnson, Domato Peko and Pat Sims are the starting DT's you can argue which two get the nod to start the game but they will rotate frequently so they all considered starting DT's. Jason Shirley is still to big of a project prospect to put on practice squad so let him mature on the roster but will be inactive for most games. Michael Johnson will be the pass rusher we need and will take the place of either Geathers or Odom when they need breaks. Clinton McDonald's arrival will be the departure of either Frostee Rucker or Jonathan Fanene. All three of them are similar style players and there is only room for 2 of them. Out with the old in the with the new so McDonald gets the spot and Rucker and Fanene fight it out.

LB: Personally I think it is a huge mistake not to be putting Rey Rey at MLB. Dhani can play SLB and he can play it well and is not a liability in coverage like Rey will be. He is our MLB of the future let him take it by the horns and ride it out. But that won't happen and he will be a 2 down backer for the first year at SLB. Keith will still be solid at WLB and will hold his own. Dhani will be good at MLB, just like he would be good at SLB, but thats all he will be and thats all we can really ask him to be. He won't make many mistakes so that will be that. Brandon Johnson will back up Keith again and a very good depth player, also an interesting Nickel backer because he is big, fast and good in coverage. Rashad Jeanty will back up whoever plays SLB and will be used in goal line situations. Blackstock will be a ST player and used at DE sparsely. Hodge has an outside shot at making the roster but depth at the backer postion is something we need so I will assume he gets the last spot. Barring any Injury we have players who can fill in and be effective as startes... Rivers - B. Johnson...D. Jones - Maualuga/Hodge...Maualuga/Jeanty.

DB: You have 3 sure fire starters in J Joe, Leon Hall and Chris Crocker. I see Chinedum Ndukwe getting the other start at Safety but it will be a battle in camp between him and Roy Williams. I also liked the idea of putting Marvin White on PUP for the 1st 6 weeks so we can could keep another corner around for that long. White and Ndukwe are the future at Safety for us like it or not. The only way that changes is if we draft real high next year and get Taylor Mays. I would love for us to upgrade at the Nickel Corner spot but for now we have David Jones from Wingate and we will accept it. Morgan Trent will start as Dime Corner and could work his way up past Jones. If White lands on PUP we will keep either Hebert or Pope who ever can contribute more... I see it being Hebert on ST. Corey Lynch will be a ST player and thats all. Can be used when we are in prevent and thats about it.

Special Teams

K: Shayne Graham (1)
P: Kevin Huber (1)
LS: St. Louis (1)

Total: 3

Breakdown:

Graham will kick everything under 45 yards. Huber will punt everything further then a 45 yard FG. St. Louis will be a long snapper. Now for Kick and Punt Returns....

Andre Caldwell will still return kicks and Quan Cosby will return punts.

What do you guys think

Bengalsrocket
07-23-2009, 11:41 PM
We won't cut Chatman, Marvin likes him to much. I think he'll go infront of Simpson, and Cosby will fall off the chart.

crites09
07-23-2009, 11:49 PM
We won't cut Chatman, Marvin likes him to much. I think he'll go infront of Simpson, and Cosby will fall off the chart.

I just see Cosby as a younger Chatman. WR will be a good TC battle to follow thats forsure

themaninblack
07-24-2009, 01:30 PM
I think the time could be up for Chatman anyway. When healthy he's a valuable player to have on the team but that has just not been the case during his tenure with the Bengals. Its probably gonna come down to him VS. Cosby though and I would still give him the edge there. But I guess were going to find out in the coming weeks.

crites09
07-25-2009, 01:18 AM
I think the time could be up for Chatman anyway. When healthy he's a valuable player to have on the team but that has just not been the case during his tenure with the Bengals. Its probably gonna come down to him VS. Cosby though and I would still give him the edge there. But I guess were going to find out in the coming weeks.

I agree that Chatman's time is up. Although like someone said earlier he is a "Marvin Guy" but he is always injured and is never really a threat on punt returns. I just want something new at WR and if we put Cosby on the PR he will get snagged up by someone.

PalmerToCJ
07-26-2009, 10:17 PM
One thing I really wish they would've addressed in the draft is a KR/PR.

It was awesome having Tab Perry back there. Since we've had all kinds of guys get injured, Glenn Holt coughing it up at the worst possible times and no big returns. Our special teams was a big strength for us in '05 and a big reason for our success.

hobbes2053
07-27-2009, 06:24 AM
One thing I really wish they would've addressed in the draft is a KR/PR.

It was awesome having Tab Perry back there. Since we've had all kinds of guys get injured, Glenn Holt coughing it up at the worst possible times and no big returns. Our special teams was a big strength for us in '05 and a big reason for our success.

If he makes the team, Quan Cosby might be able to provide some strength to the special teams. If not him, who else?

PalmerToCJ
07-27-2009, 11:55 AM
That's honestly why I'm hoping he makes the team.

Camp starts Friday WOOOHOOO and Maualuga/Coffman could be signed as early as today. Not sure on Johnson and Smith will be a holdout no doubt.

We need Oakland to sign DHB, once that happens things will hopefully get rolling full steam.

hobbes2053
07-27-2009, 12:45 PM
That's honestly why I'm hoping he makes the team.

Camp starts Friday WOOOHOOO and Maualuga/Coffman could be signed as early as today. Not sure on Johnson and Smith will be a holdout no doubt.

We need Oakland to sign DHB, once that happens things will hopefully get rolling full steam.

Cannot wait for camp to finally start. Like everyone else, I am hoping we can get everyone signed fairly quickly. I'd really like to see Cosby make the team. Like we just said, he could really sure up the return game(s).

PalmerToCJ
07-28-2009, 11:19 AM
No signings on the remaining four yet, I'm fairly confident all but Smith will be there for day one... It just always works out that way.

Pete Prisco see's where we are coming from, ranks the Bengals 13th in his power rankings.

LINK HERE (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11991822)

Chick Ludwig seems to think that Jeanty will win the SLB slot, that would be interesting. You'd have to wonder if they then start grooming Maualuga for MLB. Jeanty isn't a pro bowl type player but he's solid as a rock (when healthy) and he's our best run stopping LB. Injuries are always going to happen, Rey will no doubt find his way on the field.

Fitzgerald is saying Michael Johnson reminds him of Adalius Thomas, we'll see I guess. I wonder if they are going to use him as the hybrid sort or just keep him as a DE. I love that our new defensive coaches are more creative and aggressive than Bresnahan could ever imagine.

crites09
07-28-2009, 01:27 PM
No signings on the remaining four yet, I'm fairly confident all but Smith will be there for day one... It just always works out that way.

Pete Prisco see's where we are coming from, ranks the Bengals 13th in his power rankings.

LINK HERE (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11991822)

Chick Ludwig seems to think that Jeanty will win the SLB slot, that would be interesting. You'd have to wonder if they then start grooming Maualuga for MLB. Jeanty isn't a pro bowl type player but he's solid as a rock (when healthy) and he's our best run stopping LB. Injuries are always going to happen, Rey will no doubt find his way on the field.

Fitzgerald is saying Michael Johnson reminds him of Adalius Thomas, we'll see I guess. I wonder if they are going to use him as the hybrid sort or just keep him as a DE. I love that our new defensive coaches are more creative and aggressive than Bresnahan could ever imagine.

I think ranking us #13 is a little to high haha... I mean we did pick 6th overall. I but potential for this season is huge we shouldn't be viewed as a bottom dweller. Lots of people are picking the Bengals to be a surprise team this year but if everyone is picking them to be a surprise team it isn't much of a surprise now is it. Realisitcally I see the Bengals winning 8-10 games this season. If we finish 10-6 we get 2nd in the division and make wild card any less then that we fall just short of playoffs

Bengals78
07-28-2009, 07:06 PM
I am mildly concerned that on the home page they had RW listed over Chinny as our starter, I wonder if that means that RW will play mostly run downs.

PalmerToCJ
07-28-2009, 07:48 PM
Yes, any depth chart that doesn't have Chinny starting is something I'm against.

Sims is listed above Tank Johnson. Given his play last year this wouldn't surprise me but the way the coaches talk about Tank, I honestly figured he would be the starter.

Back to Chinny, if he doesn't start I'm going to go ballistic. Granted, depth charts don't mean a whole lot at this point.

hobbes2053
07-28-2009, 09:20 PM
I think ranking us #13 is a little to high haha... I mean we did pick 6th overall. I but potential for this season is huge we shouldn't be viewed as a bottom dweller. Lots of people are picking the Bengals to be a surprise team this year but if everyone is picking them to be a surprise team it isn't much of a surprise now is it. Realisitcally I see the Bengals winning 8-10 games this season. If we finish 10-6 we get 2nd in the division and make wild card any less then that we fall just short of playoffs

Why so pessimistic? You do know that in last year's draft, the Falcons picked third and this past season, went to the playoffs. And that's only a recent example that the previous season means virtually nothing. Anything can be done in the NFL, especially with the right players, coaches, and attitude.

Personally, I have extremely high hopes for this season. I think we're going to shock a bunch of people. I cannot wait.

Yes, any depth chart that doesn't have Chinny starting is something I'm against.

Sims is listed above Tank Johnson. Given his play last year this wouldn't surprise me but the way the coaches talk about Tank, I honestly figured he would be the starter.

Back to Chinny, if he doesn't start I'm going to go ballistic. Granted, depth charts don't mean a whole lot at this point.

It's far too early for depth charts to really have any effect. After TC ends, we might have a clearer view of who will be on the field when the first game starts. And I completely agree about Chinny not starting. How can they not let him? All he's done since he got here was **** on people. But, apparently RW is in the best shape of his life and Zim says he looks better than he's seen in a while. Hmm.

themaninblack
07-29-2009, 02:00 PM
Rey-Rey is now in the fold: http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/agent-maualuga-signs/aa5763ac-2ac9-4fcc-be1a-5004fb484b66

Bengals78
07-29-2009, 09:13 PM
Rey-Rey is now in the fold: http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/agent-maualuga-signs/aa5763ac-2ac9-4fcc-be1a-5004fb484b66

And I am doin the happy dance,

PalmerToCJ
07-29-2009, 09:41 PM
Michael Johnson also signed.

Now the waiting game begins... I really don't see Smith being signed before DHB so the slot has upper and lower bounds.

hobbes2053
07-29-2009, 11:58 PM
Although I am super relieved that we have all but one to sign, that one is pretty important. Oher just signed with the Ravens.. maybe that'll push the deal to come a bit quicker seeing as Oher was one of this draft's "top OTs". Hopefully Smith doesn't miss too much of camp. I don't really see him missing that much anyway.

themaninblack
07-30-2009, 12:25 AM
Im happy we got everyone else signed and while I'd like Smith to be there from day one, it is not incredibly important to me as I have stated before.

crites09
07-31-2009, 01:56 AM
Why so pessimistic? You do know that in last year's draft, the Falcons picked third and this past season, went to the playoffs. And that's only a recent example that the previous season means virtually nothing. Anything can be done in the NFL, especially with the right players, coaches, and attitude.

Don't get me wrong I have high hopes for the season and I think we will make playoffs... I think we can easily go 11-5 this year. But for a Preseason Power Ranking and us a #13 is a high ranking for us. I'm sure if you found a Preseason Ranking for ATL last year they would be right near the bottom. Power Rankings shouldn't be based off potential for a season it should be how every team is at the current moment and I think putting us at #13 is a little high for right now. I would put the Bengals around #20 right now, just because right now our team is all talk. Yea we had a good draft and a good offseason but that means nothing until the pads come on and the clock starts ticking. Until then #13 is unjustified.

Shane P. Hallam
08-03-2009, 12:09 PM
Ouch. "TE Reggie Kelly left w/ what some were callin serious ACL injury"

themaninblack
08-03-2009, 01:51 PM
Well thats just not something I wanted to hear. We're going to need one of our other TEs to step it up big time in the blocking game this season.

crites09
08-03-2009, 01:54 PM
Apparently it is a ruptured Achilles Tendon... not good news

PalmerToCJ
08-03-2009, 01:57 PM
Yeah an Achilles injury really isn't any better than an ACL. This would suck, Daniel Coats becomes our best pass blocking TE for what little he's played. Ugh.

crites09
08-03-2009, 08:34 PM
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/bengals-indications-kelly-out-for-year/53d582d5-a496-436b-8359-9acdb18830ae

Its confirmed. Kelly is out for the year, definitely a blow to the team. I was expecting Coats to get cut, now it looks like we will be keeping him.

holt_bruce81
08-05-2009, 08:44 PM
just watching some Chase Coffman highlights on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY-RTOtFbZs&feature=related

1:35 and 4:28 are the plays I love. that CB is 6'1 and he's pretty much standing straight up lol

PalmerToCJ
08-05-2009, 09:57 PM
The dude can definitely move, I'm excited about what he could bring to the passing game.

Just really hoping either him or Utecht can really step up in the blocking department.

crites09
08-05-2009, 11:50 PM
Wow 3 TE's injured so far... lol... camp is going good...

themaninblack
08-06-2009, 12:33 AM
Well Chase is really gonna have to step it up now.I really think hes going to be fantastic in the passing game but he's gonna have to prove to be a solid blocker as well. Hopefully Utecht and Coats can come back healthy though.

SC Igniter
08-06-2009, 11:19 AM
Its pretty obvious that we need to bring someone in at TE, preferably a solid blocking veteran.

StripedWalrus
08-06-2009, 02:20 PM
Sherry is now back. That gives us a pretty young TE corp. Would like to see Franks get brought in.

crites09
08-06-2009, 04:08 PM
Sherry is now back. That gives us a pretty young TE corp. Would like to see Franks get brought in.

Depending on how bad Coats is injured I think they will target bringing in Franks

PalmerToCJ
08-06-2009, 04:11 PM
I just want a guy who can block... He could have hands of stone for all I care.

crites09
08-07-2009, 11:47 AM
So article on Bengals front page is kinda encouraging about Anthony Collins... If Dre Smith doesn't get in on time think he would be able to fit in right away and play guard?

themaninblack
08-07-2009, 01:12 PM
I'm still somewhat surprised he isn't the starter at LT to be honest. Not that I don't think Whitworth can do it, but I felt like AC played very well last year aside from a few rookie mistakes.

crites09
08-07-2009, 01:17 PM
I'm still somewhat surprised he isn't the starter at LT to be honest. Not that I don't think Whitworth can do it, but I felt like AC played very well last year aside from a few rookie mistakes.

Agreed. I really wasn't expecting Whitworth to be playing LT this year... I was kinda excited that we had AC there...

PalmerToCJ
08-07-2009, 01:28 PM
I'll third that. I thought Whitworth was great at LG and Collins was completely fine at LT. I still have nightmares of Whitworth getting abused by Freeney I think it was.

Apparently Brown is trying to offer Smith LESS money than DHB. Ugh, it's always hard for me to side with the Bengals when it comes to our holdouts.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090807/SPT02/308070052/1062/SPT/Smith++Bengals+far+apart

crites09
08-07-2009, 02:26 PM
I'll third that. I thought Whitworth was great at LG and Collins was completely fine at LT. I still have nightmares of Whitworth getting abused by Freeney I think it was.

Apparently Brown is trying to offer Smith LESS money than DHB. Ugh, it's always hard for me to side with the Bengals when it comes to our holdouts.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090807/SPT02/308070052/1062/SPT/Smith++Bengals+far+apart

Yea. Like really... this guy is going to help our team win, he will be a great RT. Maybe if we can put together a good team we wont be picking in the top 10 again for awhile... although top 10 picks do have more excitement I find lol

PalmerToCJ
08-07-2009, 10:30 PM
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2009/08/07/scrimmage-roundup/

Joe Reedy with a summary on tonights scrimmage. The offense ran the ball well (21 times for 119 yards) and they ran more than they passed.

This quote from Zimmer made me laugh, he's the man.

”We sucked. We didn’t stop the runs well,” Zimmer said. “We were aggressive but we missed a lot of tackles. We had some guys playing different positions but still that’s no excuse. We had guys getting in wrong places.”

themaninblack
08-10-2009, 01:39 AM

Thats really kind of the Raiders fault though. DHB recieved a ~20% increase in salary over last year's 7th overall pick and it has thrown everything else off with surrounding picks.

It was encouraging to see the Offensive Line open up some nice holes in the running game. I'm not really worried about the D's ability to stop the run and they were playing with 3 backups in the LB corps.

hobbes2053
08-10-2009, 09:57 AM
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/monday-update-watson-cut/728c77eb-0726-4ff2-9c50-fd9d7eaff78c

Some interesting stuff today. Sad to see Shirley switch sides, but it could be an excellent move.

thenewfeature06
08-10-2009, 10:00 AM
Michael Johnson is the starter now?

hobbes2053
08-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Michael Johnson is the starter now?

No, he moved up from 3rd to 2nd string ahead of Rucker.

crites09
08-10-2009, 06:31 PM
Good to hear that Jeremi Johnson is doing good in camp and back to first string!

themaninblack
08-10-2009, 10:35 PM
He could really help bring our running game back to what it used to be. When the mans not fat and is giving full effort he is one of the best in the game at his position.

crites09
08-11-2009, 12:21 AM
He could really help bring our running game back to what it used to be. When the mans not fat and is giving full effort he is one of the best in the game at his position.

Let's just hope he gets back to 05 form.

PalmerToCJ
08-11-2009, 11:51 AM
I will definitely say our run game lost some of its luster when Johnson wasn't back there. I'm actually pretty confident in how Benson will play this year.

I'm still annoyed we don't have a solid kick returner.

Supposedly it's been a while since the Bengals have even been in contact with Smiths agent, ugh. Here we go again. Granted, I'm plenty confident in Anthony Collins... That's not the problem. I'm just annoyed to not have our first rounder in camp again.

crites09
08-11-2009, 12:17 PM
I will definitely say our run game lost some of its luster when Johnson wasn't back there. I'm actually pretty confident in how Benson will play this year.

I'm still annoyed we don't have a solid kick returner.

Supposedly it's been a while since the Bengals have even been in contact with Smiths agent, ugh. Here we go again. Granted, I'm plenty confident in Anthony Collins... That's not the problem. I'm just annoyed to not have our first rounder in camp again.

It does kinda get annoying constantly not having the first rounders in camp, or having them hold out every year. Keith was in camp pretty early last year wasn't he? But yea Anthony Collins will do fine. I kind of think thats why they moved Whitworth out to Tackle because they know behind Collins they don't have another Tackle will be able to fill the void. So they were expecting the holdout from Andre Smith, played him with first string in OTA's to maybe try and get him excited to play and sign right away and for less money...

crites09
08-11-2009, 12:48 PM
A guy on the Bengals Message board found this article on NFL.com and its actually a nice read. Some interesting things in there.

http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/story?id=09000d5d811cdd6a&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

themaninblack
08-11-2009, 02:01 PM
It does kinda get annoying constantly not having the first rounders in camp, or having them hold out every year. Keith was in camp pretty early last year wasn't he? But yea Anthony Collins will do fine. I kind of think thats why they moved Whitworth out to Tackle because they know behind Collins they don't have another Tackle will be able to fill the void. So they were expecting the holdout from Andre Smith, played him with first string in OTA's to maybe try and get him excited to play and sign right away and for less money...

Keith was out 10 days I believe. Like I said before, blame the Raiders as they paid DHB way too much over last years 7th pick.

crites09
08-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Keith was out 10 days I believe. Like I said before, blame the Raiders as they paid DHB way too much over last years 7th pick.

Yea I think I read somewhere that they had like a 20% increase or something ridiculous

themaninblack
08-11-2009, 02:06 PM
Yea its really messing everything else up. Granted, the Bengals still have a responsibility to get Andre signed but this definitely does not help them.

crites09
08-11-2009, 02:14 PM
Just looked it up

Sedrick Ellis signed a 5-year 49M with 19.5M Guaranteed

DHB signed a 5-year 54M with 23.5M Guaranteed

So the Raiders guaranteed money is a 20.5% increase of Sedrick Ellis' deal.. where as the whole contract is only a 10% increase

Bengals78
08-12-2009, 09:34 PM
Went to camp Tuesday, and I must say I am highly impressed with Clinton McDonald. First off the dude is built like a tank. He seemed to have a very high motor and could even make the team and be a serious player eventually. Maualuga seemed like a class act through and through.

I didn't see much on offense. Caldwell looked really good from what I saw. Roy Williams looked pretty good.

And on another side note, Mike Zimmer was hilarious with the HBO cameras on him, the entire time he kept bringing up the cameras so they couldnt use much of his footage.

I should be back down monday and I am hoping to watch more of the offense

PalmerToCJ
08-12-2009, 09:43 PM
Smith's Agent has said he sent a new offer the Bengals way. Hopefully it'll get the ball rolling in getting a deal done. I just want it to get done so it's one less thing to worry about.

Brandon Johnson and Utecht are out. Maualuga is questionable.

We talked about the returning situation, with Chatman out here's what Marvin had to say"

"We will probably have three or four guys get an opportunity to get into the game. We’ll have the chance for DeDe Dorsey, Tom Nelson, Quan Cosby and Bernard (Scott) to have an opportunity to return punts and kicks."

themaninblack
08-13-2009, 01:08 AM
Hard Knocks was very cool to see did anyone else get to watch? Is it bad that I basically bought HBO for this very reason?

crites09
08-13-2009, 01:11 AM
they dont show on HBO Canada and I'm pissed about that

Bengals78
08-13-2009, 01:35 AM
Hard Knocks was very cool to see did anyone else get to watch? Is it bad that I basically bought HBO for this very reason?

No it just means you were lucky enough to actually buy HBO unlike me haha

hobbes2053
08-13-2009, 04:16 AM
Hard Knocks was awesome. It was really well done and I thought parts of it were hilarious (i.e., "Randy Jackson, American Idol."). I can't wait Friday's game and next week's episode.

SC Igniter
08-13-2009, 05:57 AM
Watched it last night and really enjoyed it, my daughter even liked it (and she hates football).

They spent more time with the offense than defense. Our TE story got good coverage, you can see that Reggie's injury was felt by everyone on the team and you can get the sense on how special of a person he his in the segment. Chad Coffman was picked on by the coaches, he is struggling on just about everything and has a steep learning curve to cover, even though the Coaches did say (I think it was Brat) that he is improving with every day of camp. Suspect they will stay close to this story in future episodes.

Chad was hilarous. He really seemed to be popular in the locker room and engaged with team mates both on and off the field - which was good to see. More important he seems to ready for a big year, this venue is perfect for him. Palmer seems poised and ready to get it on, I think he will get more TV footage as camp goes on.

The Coaches and Mike Brown did not hide from last years terrible season. Lewis showed leadership, hope Zimmer and Brat will get more coverage later. Mike Brown was more involved than I would of thought - the good is when he showed his feelings when Utacht went down - the very bad is when he (not Marvin) was leading a meeting talking about staffing at the TE position. The body language from the coaches was very uncomfortable for me to see.

Briefly covered the Andre Smith holdout. Expect they will continue to follow this.

Also covered some lesser known free agents and saw the first cut of the team.

M.O.T.H.
08-13-2009, 04:22 PM

I did the same thing for Hard Knocks last year. I ended up keeping HBO, though.

The show was good last night. J.D. Runnels getting the ax at 5:30 a.m. was pretty cold. haha.

I've always liked Reggie Kelly so, it was pretty tough seeing him go down on the show. :( We all knew about it already but, makes you feel for him a lot more when get to see it behind the scenes and such.

I did really like seeing the little games/contests and relays they had the beginning. Good stuff.

Oh, and I said it in the other thread but, following Coffman is a mistake. Guy is soooo boring.

PalmerToCJ
08-14-2009, 12:36 PM
According to Jay Glazer the Bengals were the first team to offer Vick. 2 years 2.3 million. That would've been some nice PR... Not...

Bratkowski wouldn't have known how to use him anyway, that I'm sure of.

Still no news on Andre Smith, ugh.

crites09
08-14-2009, 12:47 PM
I actually would've loved to have Vick haha... Just cuz he is soo entertaining..

themaninblack
08-14-2009, 03:31 PM
It prolly wouldn't be a good PR move, but I think its clear we don't really care all that much about that anyway. It's football, not golf. I personally wouldn't mind having him but he would probably never see the field and as PalmerToCJ said, Brat wouldn't know how to use him anyway.

Would be pretty crazy to Palmer AND Vick lined up side by side in the shotgun though. I'm surprised no team has done that yet with a more athletic type QB.

crites09
08-17-2009, 06:05 PM
Wow do I hate Shayne Graham... We need a new kicker and ASAP.. They always talk about his "career percentage" well that was when he was good. It seems that he has lost the power in his leg because we barely kicked FGs longer then 45 yards last year. And I swear every game winning kick he has taken in the last 3 years he shanks them.

Now he followed up with a piss poor performance in the preseason..

PalmerToCJ
08-17-2009, 10:16 PM
I've definitely always had a problem with him not being able to kick a long one. It seems like if we are late in the game, we have to pick up 10 yards more than other teams so he can be in range. He's pretty solid at the short ones so I guess it's a trade off.

Lame for Carson to be out Thursday, he needs to get work in but I understand him sitting.

Thursday I will be solely focused on defense and the running game.

crites09
08-18-2009, 01:50 PM
I wanna see what Rey can do out there and how he impacts the defense

***According the the Bengals feed on twitter we waived Dan Santucci

Bengalsrocket
08-18-2009, 07:47 PM
It prolly wouldn't be a good PR move, but I think its clear we don't really care all that much about that anyway. It's football, not golf. I personally wouldn't mind having him but he would probably never see the field and as PalmerToCJ said, Brat wouldn't know how to use him anyway.

Would be pretty crazy to Palmer AND Vick lined up side by side in the shotgun though. I'm surprised no team has done that yet with a more athletic type QB.

Ravens did it with Flacco / Troy Smith (though only a few times). Meanwhile, Ronnie Brown and LT are like mini-QB's when you line them up in the shotgun, and Miami did that a lot last year, and LT's been doing it his whole career.

PalmerToCJ
08-19-2009, 01:07 AM
It's getting to the point where I almost forget we still haven't signed Andre Smith because of the lack of news. Ugh. Really, don't see a near end in sight.

SC Igniter
08-19-2009, 06:09 AM
It's getting to the point where I almost forget we still haven't signed Andre Smith because of the lack of news. Ugh. Really, don't see a near end in sight.

Wouldn't be surprised if they continue to cover this holdout on hard knocks. If so, this won't shed a good light on our FO or Andre on how we handle negotiations. Its too bad it usually comes to this with our 1st round picks, hopefully they will come to their senses and get him into camp. Or maybe getting embarrassed by HBO will help gets this thing closed?

crites09
08-19-2009, 10:35 AM
Wouldn't be surprised if they continue to cover this holdout on hard knocks. If so, this won't shed a good light on our FO or Andre on how we handle negotiations. Its too bad it usually comes to this with our 1st round picks, hopefully they will come to their senses and get him into camp. Or maybe getting embarrassed by HBO will help gets this thing closed?

I just wish Andre would sign, if he plays good enough he will get a huge pay day for his 2nd contract

Shahin
08-19-2009, 06:03 PM

did you see the part in Hard Knocks where the ***** was talking about offering Smith "so much money, and they think it isn't enough"

i wanted to choke a *****