Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Scott Wright
11-09-2006, 08:28 AM
Discuss the Texans here.

Scott Wright
11-09-2006, 08:29 PM
Let's get this thread heated up.

Here's a topic to discuss:

What is the Texans #1 need going into next offseason?

11-09-2006, 08:37 PM
Are you guys ready to lose...

11-11-2006, 12:32 AM
I've officially posted here more than any Texan fan... hooray.

Grid
11-11-2006, 01:50 AM
Texans have so many needs but most pressing has to be Free Safety. I have tried to put them in order as I see it. Texans are quite satisfied with Spencer at LT. It a shame he got injured but Texans are very high on him.

1. Free Safety
2. CB who can play across DRob
3. OLB
4. RB
5. DT

gunn
11-11-2006, 12:32 PM
Texans have so many needs but most pressing has to be Free Safety. I have tried to put them in order as I see it. Texans are quite satisfied with Spencer at LT. It a shame he got injured but Texans are very high on him.

1. Free Safety
3. OLB
4. RB
5. DT

I'd say that is a pretty accurate assessment. I think any of those positions could be interchangable in terms of value as well.

I think a darkhorse pick that we could make that may shock some people would be Brian Leonard. He he is tailormade for our offense, and judging by what I've seen of his role at Rutgers, his transition to Kubiak's offense would be a seamless one. I don't know where he'll end up being projected, but if we can make a play at him with a decent position (without reaching too far) don't be suprised by the Texans calling his name come next April.

gunn
11-11-2006, 01:14 PM

Prior to the start of the season I had each of the home teams winning the match-ups in this series. But you just never know which schizo Jacksonville team is going to show up. Mentally frail teams should avoid guaranteeing wins so they don't end up with egg on their face.

5-4 series lead in favor of Houston. Here's to extending that lead come Sunday.

datchapin
11-11-2006, 06:06 PM

:shock: Look here Mr. Taylor you shouldn't go around guaranteeing victories on any m..... Say aren't you the guy that was wearing the David Carr is my daddy and you openly admitted the Colts were superior sigs? :P To answer your question... ELL NAH!! We're gonna go in and make Jacksonville our home away from home. Whose house? TEXAN'S HOUSE!!!!!! Prepare for another embarrasing loss.... Muahahahahahahaha!!!

datchapin
11-11-2006, 06:16 PM

1. Free Safety
3. OLB
4. RB
5. DT

I would say 1 and 2 are interchangeable. This is the way I see it though, get a good ball hawking FS and that makes life easier on the CB's so if you land a Landry or R. Nelson then I think CB drops in necessity. If you get a great CB then it should take some pressure off the FS so we wouldn't have to live with a pressing need there. That's how I think it is.

Moving on totally agree on OLB help. I mean Greenwood is Okay at WLB, but he needs to work alot on shedding his blocks so he can make the play and on the strong side we need a LB that can play both the run and pass well. Orr is bad in coverage as was evidenced by the game winning TD he gave up to Shockey. Even though I think Wong would be an upgrade I believe we would be better off upgrading at either side.

DT.... My god we had all these DT's at the beginning of the season and know we're signing FA DT's to get by. That's just not right. Also I'm really disappointed in TJ (Last yr's pick.) He should be our anchor in the middle yet it feels like everybody that's come in has been able to outproduce him or do better on the field guy needs to step up, but even if he doesn't we need a real tackle in the middle to make life easier for everybody else.

Lastly I think we need OL depth. We can get guards in the later rds. and I like Hodgdon, but we need more depth at Tackle and Guards. McKinney and Weigart are getting real long on the tooth as well as Salaam, hopefully we find the quality guys we need in this yr's draft.

datchapin
11-11-2006, 06:24 PM
Man, I just couldn't stand to see a Jag fan as the most frequent poster so I'm just gonna have to keep posting. Lol, J/K. What does everybody think of Lundy. I think he's been sporadic so far some games he shows incredible talent and then he seems to revert back to sucking. Not saying he sucks, but he's had his bad moments where he'll hesitate and get taken down. Ala R. Bush right now I don't think we need a 1st rd. rb, but that greatly depends on Lundy's performance in the second half. Do you guys think he'll step it up? I hope so. (I got faith GS just trying to get some opinions.) Also any thoughts on Gado, I'm still puzzled as to why he doesn't get a bigger role. Dayne sucks and Gado can't.. I repeat, CAN'T be worse than Dayne.

datchapin
11-12-2006, 12:49 PM
IT'S GAMEDAY BABY!! TEXANS IS GONNA WRECK THE JAG'S TODAY!!!!! WOHHOOO!!! GO TEXANS!!!

datchapin
11-12-2006, 12:49 PM
Wow, it's so empty in here. echo. echo echo.

datchapin
11-12-2006, 12:59 PM
Kalif Barnes is inactive for this game. That's one of their starting tackles. I think it stems from a DUI arrest that happened (Don't hold me to this) Last night. This should be a great opportunity for us to exploit his backup. Hopefully this will make the win easier. Mario and our other ends should have a really productive game. Thoughts?

primetime0506
11-12-2006, 10:23 PM
hell yea we won swept the jags and that fan can shut his mouth gado played good 2 day hope carr is alright and hopefully we can beat the bills next week and FS is a need we should traded up 4 sean taylor like every thought we would

America
11-12-2006, 10:39 PM
I don't like Carr being injured. Good win, running game was bad though, too bad. Dre needs the ball more.

marks01234
11-12-2006, 10:43 PM
Big win. How'd Mario look? I'm an NC guy here so the Texans are never on :( Next year I'm definately getting the gameday package and my gf will just have to live with it. Hopefully Mario got some good pressure on Garrard.

I like Lundy a lot and think that next year we will have an excellent one-two punch with him and Davis. No way I would go RB in round one espically because it seems that value can often be found after the first round (Jones-Drew, Leon Washington, Lundy, etc) None of the latest batch of top ten picks (Bush, Brown, Cadillac, Benson) have exceeded expectations either.

Grid
11-13-2006, 12:39 AM
Agree #1 & 2 are interchangeable. I really don't know what the salary cap situation is with the team but it would be nice if we were able to sign stud CB and OLB during free agency period. This could really accelerate our team growth with another great draft class next year similar to what it was this year. Then we can focus on drafting FS, DT, RB, OC and basically trying to fix over all team depth.

For the amount of money we are paying Morlon Greenwood, he really hasn't done much and should be let go next year. Other players who might not make the team next year could be Seth Payne (due to health reason), Kailee Wong, Zach Weigert and Steve Mckinney.

Grid
11-13-2006, 08:43 AM
Scott, I know its only week 9, but the Texans have obvious holes, this is what has to happen in order for Texans to become competitive or even dominant team in very near future.

1. Franchise RB
The Texans have never had one, and is a key to the offense. Lundy is good, but like DD will never be able to carry the whole load. A Clinton Portis like back would be a boom for the offense. IMO, either Adrian Peterson or Marshawn Lynch (cal) in the draft or maybe a young vet, like Michael Turner

2. Dominate Safety
The biggest hole in the D is now at safety. Both of them are horrible. Look how guys like Ed Reed or Polumalu can lead a Defense.

3. Run Stopping DT
The Texans have solid ends, but the tackle position is a huge hole, with Payne out and T. Johnson turning into a bust. If you think Ryans plays good now, stick a big body or two in front of him and let him wreck shop. A Shuan Rodgers or Casey Hampton clone would do wonders.

4. O-Line
The biggest knocking point of the Texans since the beginning, A few key vets would be the key to improving, with maybe a good rookie to develop. Tackle is the biggest need

If there is a top 5 pick (which I imagine the Texans will have). I hope it isn't wasted on an O-Lineman. Second rounders have generally turned out better (Unless they have Pace/Hutchinson talent). Vet O-Line is the best way to go anyways.

RB or Safety should be the first pick, unless there is a great DT available.

See how Carr does in year - They need a QB who can deliver more then 4 wins a season. Jury is still out on Carr but one thing is very clear me that he is not a franchise type QB like Payton Manning, Carson palmer, Tom Brady or Phillip River.

At LB - Brian Urlacher clone would be nice

gunn
11-13-2006, 10:06 AM
Tackle is now very thin with Weigert going down for the year with a torn ACL. Now it's Winstons time to shine. Winston has impressed in the limited time he has been on the field including getting a huge push on the 4th down call that sealed the victory for us yesterday.

Peek also went down yesterday with a sprained MCL.

primetime0506
11-13-2006, 02:21 PM
all those qb's you just sayed have great talent around them and it is vetern talent at that we dont have that xept 4 eric moulds and carr is getting better each week we really need a playmaker at either olb of Saftey prob saftey they should throw big money at lance briggs this offseason and trade up for calvin johnson because moulds is getting old and Johnson would be what this offense need and saftey can be found in round 2 with merriweather becasue his involvemtn in the fight dropped him but he is still at top 20 talent

datchapin
11-13-2006, 04:06 PM
I think we need to make signing a solid DT a FA priority this off-season. Even if we do draft a good DT having two guys that can be effective in the middle will really help out. Our current DT's aren't starting quality and some of our DE's seem to fit better there than our DT's. That's never a good sign. Also signing a good DT relieves pressure from having to draft a DT in the first or second rd.

Ravens1991
11-13-2006, 04:08 PM
how is Travis Johnson doing with you guys.

datchapin
11-13-2006, 05:07 PM
Not good. The guy is barely making plays or getting good push on the line. He's easily pushed to the outside on pass plays opening huge holes for the QB to run through. I dunno the guy runs his mouth more than his motor. He's not living up to 1st rd. potential and suffered a calf injury that could have him out for a while. Other than that he's doing well.

datchapin
11-13-2006, 05:27 PM
Scott, I know its only week 9, but the Texans have obvious holes, this is what has to happen in order for Texans to become competitive or even dominant team in very near future.

1. Franchise RB
The Texans have never had one, and is a key to the offense. Lundy is good, but like DD will never be able to carry the whole load. A Clinton Portis like back would be a boom for the offense. IMO, either Adrian Peterson or Marshawn Lynch (cal) in the draft or maybe a young vet, like Michael Turner

2. Dominate Safety
The biggest hole in the D is now at safety. Both of them are horrible. Look how guys like Ed Reed or Polumalu can lead a Defense.

3. Run Stopping DT
The Texans have solid ends, but the tackle position is a huge hole, with Payne out and T. Johnson turning into a bust. If you think Ryans plays good now, stick a big body or two in front of him and let him wreck shop. A Shuan Rodgers or Casey Hampton clone would do wonders.

4. O-Line
The biggest knocking point of the Texans since the beginning, A few key vets would be the key to improving, with maybe a good rookie to develop. Tackle is the biggest need

If there is a top 5 pick (which I imagine the Texans will have). I hope it isn't wasted on an O-Lineman. Second rounders have generally turned out better (Unless they have Pace/Hutchinson talent). Vet O-Line is the best way to go anyways.

RB or Safety should be the first pick, unless there is a great DT available.

See how Carr does in year - They need a QB who can deliver more then 4 wins a season. Jury is still out on Carr but one thing is very clear me that he is not a franchise type QB like Payton Manning, Carson palmer, Tom Brady or Phillip River.

At LB - Brian Urlacher clone would be nice

1. I'm sorry I gotta disagree. While getting a RB in the first rd. would be the sexy pick I don't think it's a first rd. pick for us. A. P. runs like E. Campbell, except he doesn't have the same size or phisical attributes. The way he runs I just can't see him being healthy for long. DD looked like a franchise back before his injuries. Also Gado is a beast in waiting. Lundy has to step up again, but even if he doesn't we got Taylor and a complimentary back would be more suitable for us. It's sexy to have a franchise back, but the bottom line is the rushing production and most teams are realizing that tandems are very effective. Broncos, Giants, Falcons, Chargers, so forth and so on are now working with tandems. We should follow suit and address our biggest holes in the 1st rd.

2. One could make the argument that DT is our biggest hole on D, because honestly right now our DT's suck balls. However I do agree that a ball hawking safety would make life alot easier for our team. Man, maybe I'm a little bias, but I would really love to land Landry.

3. Agreed DT is a big need, even with a healthy TJ and Payne this position could use an upgrade.

4. Yeah, I agree to an extent, but not on tackle being our biggest need. Winston has looked good and Spencer looked real good. While this position may be taken earlier I think our line is starting to get solid and our biggest need would be depth. A tackle to back up Winston and Spencer and also a guard to back up Pitts and Weary. Center shouldn't be drafted, maybe an undrafted FA, but Hodgdon looks solid behind Flannagan and Mike should have at least another good yr. in him.

1st rd. should be used on defense. Take your pick on position because they could all be upgraded.

D. Carr has shown vast improvement and I think he can become that franchise QB. Different opinions, but that's just mine.

Ryans is a good MLB, I'd much rather have a Merriman clone (without steroids.) Cuz we need OLB help.

datchapin
11-13-2006, 08:58 PM
Antwan Peek's out 2-4 weeks. Is he gonna be back next yr. He was signed to a 1 yr. tender. Thoughts?

America
11-13-2006, 09:29 PM
Antwan Peek's out 2-4 weeks. Is he gonna be back next yr. He was signed to a 1 yr. tender. Thoughts?

Love him, but I doubt he gets resigned. We have lots of DE depth. Hope he does though. We need DT help badly.

Grid
11-13-2006, 11:27 PM
datchapin, the only reason I say we need a franchise type RB is to be able to control the clock and move the chain. This will help David Carr in taking some of the pressure off and it will help the management and coaching staff to rebuild this team. Presently we don't have a RB of that magnitude.

LUV U BLUE didn't become LUV U BLUE till Earl Campbell arrived in scene. We need a big pounder who just keeps plugging away. Early was a special player that I don’t think we will ever see another RB like him.

On the subject of David Carr, exactly how long does he need before we decide on him? In the past 4.5 years he has done absolutely nothing despite being paid franchise money. If we are to pay that kind of money to a QB doesn't he also need to produce in the same fashion? Carr lacks leadership, and intangibles which you need at that position.

Hiring Charlie Casserly and Dom Capers really took our team back and now it almost like starting over. So many wasted drafts picks and ill advised personnel move. We are paying for all the mistakes of the past regime. It will take couple of years to fix all the mess created by them.

With the move from 3-4 to 4-3 also makes Babin and peek expendable, especially after signing Anthony Weaver. Peek will become FA next year and I don't think Texans will sign him. Peek has been injured most of this year and really hasn't shown anything when he has been on the fields either.

Shiver
11-14-2006, 03:25 AM
Hiring Charlie Casserly and Dom Capers really took our team back and now it almost like starting over. So many wasted drafts picks and ill advised personnel move. We are paying for all the mistakes of the past regime. It will take couple of years to fix all the mess created by them.

Say what you will, Casserly manned a great '06 draft.

yourfavestoner
11-14-2006, 04:39 AM

The biggest part of the problem is that Capers would never switch to a 4-3. Casserly didn't necessarily draft and acquire bad players, but it seemed like he and Capers weren't on the same page of acquiring players to fit their schemes.

Grid
11-14-2006, 06:08 AM
Shiver wrote:
[Say what you will, Casserly manned a great '06 draft.]

Any one who knows even 1% about the team will tell you that Gary Kubiak was fully responsible for 2006 draft and casserly had very little to do with the draft. This is one of the main reason why Casserly is working for the CBS right now. Bob McNair is too good of a man, he trusted in Charlie Casserly to be the GM of the expansion team. [/quote]

gunn
11-14-2006, 08:22 AM
how is Travis Johnson doing with you guys.

Out for the year now with a torn calf muscle.

gunn
11-14-2006, 08:34 AM

As Grid mentioned, Casserly had absolutely nothing to do with the past draft. Most of the players from the past regime have already been cut, and those who have not are likely to be cut in the very near future. Casserly and Capers were a cancer to football in this city.

datchapin
11-14-2006, 06:44 PM
I won't argue Casserly's effectiveness in our franchise's history. However he did have a big hand in this yr's. draft. It's a fact that he lobbied hard for Owen Daniels and he's been one of our bright spots as well. He also had a big hand in trading for Moulds. I don't know his role in everything, but he had to listen to Capers and that may have also had a big part in it. Caper's lobbied for the Buchanon trade and who knows maybe we would have gotten better value not having traded, but to put it all on Casserly I think is a little unjust. Every GM has their hits and misses, but also coaching is responsible for player development.

datchapin
11-14-2006, 07:45 PM
datchapin, the only reason I say we need a franchise type RB is to be able to control the clock and move the chain. This will help David Carr in taking some of the pressure off and it will help the management and coaching staff to rebuild this team. Presently we don't have a RB of that magnitude.

LUV U BLUE didn't become LUV U BLUE till Earl Campbell arrived in scene. We need a big pounder who just keeps plugging away. Early was a special player that I don’t think we will ever see another RB like him.

On the subject of David Carr, exactly how long does he need before we decide on him? In the past 4.5 years he has done absolutely nothing despite being paid franchise money. If we are to pay that kind of money to a QB doesn't he also need to produce in the same fashion? Carr lacks leadership, and intangibles which you need at that position.

With the move from 3-4 to 4-3 also makes Babin and peek expendable, especially after signing Anthony Weaver. Peek will become FA next year and I don't think Texans will sign him. Peek has been injured most of this year and really hasn't shown anything when he has been on the fields either.

I disagree. I think Gado is a bruiser that would be very effective in our system. However he just hasn't been given ample opportunity. He has incredible speed for his size and can push the pile when necessary. Remember he's the one that broke that huge run against the Colts. I like Lundy and still think he can develop, but I for one think Gado can do alot for us. I digress however, because it would be great to have a franchise back. However right now with our needs I don't think RB is the biggest one. Also I agree Earl was the man.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with that as well. True he's well paid, but in comparison to top QB's he's nowhere near being paid elite money. Also how can he excell when he never had a coach that knew what he was really talking about. Caper's instilled in him alot of bad habits. Maybe it's just me, but Carr seemed to digress each successive season until now. In a short while he's shown vast improvements. Getting rid of the ball quicker, reading defenses etc. etc. He's still got a ways to go don't get me wrong, but this is his first season under coherent coaching, so I would wait until the end of the season before I pass judgement. These last two games in particular he's shown alot of growth. I don't know about his leadership or intangibles as I'm not on the team, but from an outside perspective I think he's starting to show good leadership.

I agree with Peek being expendable, however Babin has shown he can be productive, he's got I think 3 sacks on the season while splitting time with everyone else. I think we would have a solid rotation with Babin, Weaver, and Williams. If they let Kalu go I could see Peek staying on as our pass-rush specialist, but he has to show he can get to the QB when he gets back. I think.

datchapin
11-14-2006, 07:49 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but for those that don't know. Fred Weary was arrested today. The whole situation is a little vague, but from what I've heard it was a routine stop due to lack of front license plates and he resisted arrest leading to him being tasered. I don't know what's gonna happen or what happened exactly, but hopefully he'll be back soon.

diabsoule
11-15-2006, 01:18 AM
Here's a link on the Fred Weary situation: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2662099

Grid
11-15-2006, 01:27 AM
I won't argue Casserly's effectiveness in our franchise's history. However he did have a big hand in this yr's. draft. It's a fact that he lobbied hard for Owen Daniels and he's been one of our bright spots as well. He also had a big hand in trading for Moulds. I don't know his role in everything, but he had to listen to Capers and that may have also had a big part in it. Caper's lobbied for the Buchanon trade and who knows maybe we would have gotten better value not having traded, but to put it all on Casserly I think is a little unjust. Every GM has their hits and misses, but also coaching is responsible for player development.

If some one can count all the draft picks which we had prior to this year, all we have to show for is Carr, A. Johnson and D.Rob. I am not blaming any one but tell me who should be held accoutable for all the screws up. Casserly or Capers or both.

Grid
11-15-2006, 01:44 AM
Problem with all of us is that we don't want to admit the facts even though it is right in front of us. As a season ticket holder, I feel as if I have the right to question the coaching or the management if my team is not performing or if the coaching staff are not doing their job properly.

For the first three years of existence from 2002 - 2005. Texans have had 13 picks each year. They had 2 draft picks in each round except for the first round where they only had one pick. Based on this many draft picks, we should have had more impact players on our roster. Today we are thin at each and every position due to these screw ups. We sorely lack talent on the ball club right now.

marks01234
11-15-2006, 09:11 AM
Problem with all of us is that we don't want to admit the facts even though it is right in front of us. As a season ticket holder, I feel as if I have the right to question the coaching or the management if my team is not performing or if the coaching staff are not doing their job properly.

For the first three years of existence from 2002 - 2005. Texans have had 13 picks each year. They had 2 draft picks in each round except for the first round where they only had one pick. Based on this many draft picks, we should have had more impact players on our roster. Today we are thin at each and every position due to these screw ups. We sorely lack talent on the ball club right now.

Your pretty much correct. I would say the new management is moving things in the right direction.

Mario - 95% of GM's probably would have taken Bush and we'd be in a terrible position because of it. If Mario can stay healthy, he'll be a DROY candidate.
Demeco Ryans - Looks darn good as a rookie and is a possible DROY guy. He may never be a Ray Lewis or Jonathan Vilma but he's going to be a good starter in the league for a long time.

Spencer, Winston - We'll find out more about Winston soon enough but I love these two guys and the value we were able to get for them in the third round. Spencer was on his way to being a solid starter before getting injured. Outside of D'Brick and Marcus McNeil, I wouldn't take any OT's in the draft ahead of him now.

Lundy - Can't say enough.

Grid
11-15-2006, 03:39 PM
This year draft is not in question. We had by far the best draft pick in the history of the team. This is what we should have done the first 3 years as well.

datchapin
11-15-2006, 06:14 PM
That's the thing. What changed this yr. R. Smith didn't come in until after the draft so it was the head coaching that changed. Remember Kubiak didn't know much about the prospects when he first got here. Casserly was right there getting him through everything, Kubiak saw what he liked and Casserly was the mediator in getting everything done. So what really changed? I think it was what the coaches wanted. All I know is this draft was solid and Casserly was a part of it. True currently it would seem we don't have anything to show for our previous drafts. Think about this though all our starting secondary was drafted by us. Babin has been showing up and even though he may not yet be living to his billing he is a productive draftee. We got an all-pro in Mathis who's been out all yr. Then imagine how our running game would look if we had a healthy DD another of our late rd.s. We've done less than great, I can admit that, but also gotta recognize the good things.

11-15-2006, 07:11 PM
Well, I've been meaning to do this for a while. Congratulations on the victory, you outplayed us, and we simply didn't deserve to win.

Just know that every year my passion of the Jaguars vs. Texans game, grows more and more each year. It was a hell of a series this year, and know that I'm not going to take the Texans lightly ever again.

I'll sweep you next year :wink: .

comahan
11-16-2006, 07:12 PM
I was in Houston this weekend, so I finally got to see a game (yay)

I usually use nfl.com gamecenter... sigh.

cunningham06
11-16-2006, 09:30 PM

Your pretty much correct. I would say the new management is moving things in the right direction.

Mario - 95% of GM's probably would have taken Bush and we'd be in a terrible position because of it. If Mario can stay healthy, he'll be a DROY candidate.
Demeco Ryans - Looks darn good as a rookie and is a possible DROY guy. He may never be a Ray Lewis or Jonathan Vilma but he's going to be a good starter in the league for a long time.

Spencer, Winston - We'll find out more about Winston soon enough but I love these two guys and the value we were able to get for them in the third round. Spencer was on his way to being a solid starter before getting injured. Outside of D'Brick and Marcus McNeil, I wouldn't take any OT's in the draft ahead of him now.

No he won't, he will be better. Demeco is a beast.

11-16-2006, 09:32 PM

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too early to compare him to Ray Lewis, one of the greatest of all time.

rainbeaukid2
11-16-2006, 09:37 PM

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too early to compare him to Ray Lewis, one of the greatest of all time.

he didnt really compare them :?

primetime0506
11-17-2006, 01:47 PM
man we have to beat the bills revenge from last year wheen we made losman look like a probowler if we lose ill be very upset if we stop the run we stop them offense has to show up cuz there defense is still pretty good

SuperMcGee
11-17-2006, 04:06 PM
man we have to beat the bills revenge from last year wheen we made losman look like a probowler if we lose ill be very upset if we stop the run we stop them offense has to show up cuz there defense is still pretty good

Jason Peters caught a TD in that game. Is there anything he can't do!?
(please avoid low-blow responses such as "Stop the run")

marks01234
11-17-2006, 06:07 PM
Demeco is a terrific player and certainly capable of being a multiple Pro Bowl player. However, physically he just isn't in the league of Ray Lewis or Vilma. That being said their is no reason why he can't be a Zack Thomas, Antonio Pierce type player.

datchapin
11-17-2006, 08:30 PM
Wait let me get this right. You guys are saying that Demeco isn't in the same league phisically as J. Vilma. Okay, howso. Vilma 6'1'' 230lbs. Ryans 6'2'' 236 lbs. Maybe I'm crazy, but that puts Ryans right on par with Vilma physically speaking. Lewis is a special specimen so there isn't that many LB's that compare to him phisically, but being a physical doesn't always translate to success. Ryans is a great LB and while it's to early to make comparison's it's clear that Ryans has the talent to be elite.

datchapin
11-17-2006, 08:32 PM

Jason Peters caught a TD in that game. Is there anything he can't do!?
(please avoid low-blow responses such as "Stop the run")

But it's so tempting. He can't s..s. aight I won't do it, but it's still the truth. Lol.

Grid
11-18-2006, 12:28 AM
Demeco is a terrific player and certainly capable of being a multiple Pro Bowl player. However, physically he just isn't in the league of Ray Lewis or Vilma. That being said their is no reason why he can't be a Zack Thomas, Antonio Pierce type player.

Ray Lewis I can understand but Vilma ??? Vilma and Demeco are about same size physically.

datchapin
11-18-2006, 09:11 AM
At the beginning of the season we were ranked dead last in defense. By no small margin either, yet through these last 5-6 games we have gotten way better and our defense has been moving up. I think we are currently like 27 iirc. Anyways any thoughts on where we'll end up at the end of the season? I think I could see us ending up somewhere around 15 if we keep this up. I really like how our defense is stepping up and making up for our lack of star players. It would seem that our biggest hole is DT, but then again both our starters are out there for the season.

primetime0506
11-18-2006, 05:21 PM
i think the defense keep playin like this will get to maybe 19-21 it is hard to make up 4 those first few games but with the improvment each week i think gettin another playmaker on offense would be great some one like calvin johnson if we could trade up 4 him would be great and we goin win tom GO TEXANS

11-19-2006, 12:09 AM
you guys suck we swept yall this year go texans sorry team cant beat us overated dont ever talk down 2 the texans cuz we own yall hahahahahaha hope we cost yall the playoffs again SWEPTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
Texan fans. I enjoy reading your posts, most of you are class acts. But I ask you one thing. Please keep this idiot out of the Jaguars Team Discussion.

primetime0506
11-19-2006, 03:01 PM
we suck cant believe we blew that game this is unacceptable this is the 5th year of this franchise and we still dont know how to finish a game defense had no pressure at all all day espicailly the last drive and 2nd time in 2 years we made jp losman look like a pro bowler but against every 1 else he suck big donky b****

SuperMcGee
11-19-2006, 03:32 PM
we suck cant believe we blew that game this is unacceptable this is the 5th year of this franchise and we still dont know how to finish a game defense had no pressure at all all day espicailly the last drive and 2nd time in 2 years we made jp losman look like a pro bowler but against every 1 else he suck big donky b****

you didnt have any pressure on the last drive because you were playing a 3-man rush

SeanTaylorRIP
11-19-2006, 03:36 PM
Wali needs more carries!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

gunn
11-19-2006, 04:03 PM
Tough loss today. Faggins was absolutely abused in the first half, but came back out and had a solid second half. The coverage play of both safety positions was just not very good, including Simmons getting caught sleeping and letting Evans get behind the coverage for one of his two touchdowns.

marks01234
11-19-2006, 04:08 PM
How'd Mario look? We need him back to 100%.

primetime0506
11-19-2006, 04:33 PM
we played not to lose and when you do that that is when you lose the 3 man rush was because we could not get any pressure so richard smith thought he would give that a try in the redzone u got to put pressure and we didnt and marios struggled with his injury he had trouble driving off that foot and could not really put alot of pressure on losman 2 day

Ravens1991
11-19-2006, 05:11 PM
who do you think that you guys will look for in the draft.

DWhitner20
11-19-2006, 06:41 PM
Why was Faggins instead of Robinson on Evans most of the day? As a Bills fan I was suprised by that.

primetime0506
11-19-2006, 07:40 PM
cuz robinson plays on the other side most of the time and u put ur best corner usually on the 2nd best reciver one on one and cover the best recvier with a saftey over the top but that didnt work the 1st 2 drives and i think we should take calvin johson if we can sum how get him if not we need defense like a gain adams

datchapin
11-19-2006, 08:39 PM
Why was Faggins instead of Robinson on Evans most of the day? As a Bills fan I was suprised by that.

WHY?! BECAUSE OUR COACHES ARE STUBBORN MORONS!!! THAT'S WHY!! Sorry, had to vent a little bit. Our coaching staff wants our CB's to handle their side of the field, maybe we're gearing up for Indy, because they have threats on both sides, but this is something we've done since our inception to the league. However now that we got torched maybe our coaches will learn to match our top CB with opposing top WR's.

datchapin
11-19-2006, 08:42 PM
who do you think that you guys will look for in the draft.

Defensive help. Either in the secondary or DT. LaRon Landry or Alan Branch would be my guesses.

SuperMcGee
11-19-2006, 09:38 PM

WHY?! BECAUSE OUR COACHES ARE STUBBORN MORONS!!! THAT'S WHY!! Sorry, had to vent a little bit. Our coaching staff wants our CB's to handle their side of the field, maybe we're gearing up for Indy, because they have threats on both sides, but this is something we've done since our inception to the league. However now that we got torched maybe our coaches will learn to match our top CB with opposing top WR's.

The Bills are finally shifting to matching up our CBs against the WR. You'll notice Clements played on Andre this game on both sides, and he did the same against the Packers

America
11-19-2006, 10:00 PM
I'd love to pick up Leon Hall.

11-19-2006, 10:44 PM
I'd love to pick up Leon Hall.
Either him or Alan Branch would be a good fit for you guys.

datchapin
11-19-2006, 10:46 PM
I dunno didn't Hall get burned a few times by Ginn. What about Cason or Hughes in the second?

America
11-19-2006, 11:21 PM
I dunno didn't Hall get burned a few times by Ginn. What about Cason or Hughes in the second?

I don't think either are Halls calliber. Both are big time playmakers, Hughes moreso, he gets so many turnovers, which our D needs. But I think Dunta can be that guy if he's got safety help over him, that way he can take risks.

primetime0506
11-19-2006, 11:33 PM
we need help at saftey that is a big time need prob #1 and depiding on what pick we have we could go landry but if like #6 i think they go with a offesive player or gain adams id love 2 see calvin johson with the texans and if they have a chance they should trade up for him

datchapin
11-21-2006, 06:24 PM
I would love to see J and J combo at receivers. However that would be a wasted pick for us. We got other needs and CJ wouldn't fill a need for us.

On another note. What does everyone think Mario should do. You could easily see that his foot was bothering him against Buffalo. While I really admire his heart for trying to play through the pain do you guys think maybe he should take some time off to become more efficient when he comes back?

America
11-22-2006, 12:37 PM
I would love to see J and J combo at receivers. However that would be a wasted pick for us. We got other needs and CJ wouldn't fill a need for us.

On another note. What does everyone think Mario should do. You could easily see that his foot was bothering him against Buffalo. While I really admire his heart for trying to play through the pain do you guys think maybe he should take some time off to become more efficient when he comes back?

He probably should take time off. I'd love CJ, I wouldn't even care if its not a need. We could replace Cook with a 3rd WR, CJ. We signed Michael Stone(was in TC) and released Gus Scott.

jkpigskin
11-22-2006, 08:43 PM
any houston fans want a sweet mario williams sig i made??? i think its my best so if you want pm me! 1st one gets it!

datchapin
11-23-2006, 08:41 AM
This weekend we play the Jets and as always I believe we got a great shot at winning. Even though we haven't won on a consistant basis I believe that we have made huge progress and should be able to take this one. Thought's on matchups?

11-25-2006, 09:57 PM
my expert analysis: we still suck, but not as bad as we did last year...we will likely lose tomorrow, as well...

America
11-25-2006, 11:56 PM
Win tomorrow

primetime0506
11-26-2006, 12:38 AM
good fight but lose in the end

11-26-2006, 09:50 AM
good fight but lose in the end

just like always...

then we can congregate and say "isn't it good that we didn't get blown out"...

very typical...

primetime0506
11-26-2006, 05:52 PM
we looked bad 2 day on offense we have to strech the field more and stop with the dink and dunks

marks01234
11-26-2006, 08:13 PM
How'd Mario look battling through his injury?

Sorry I keep having to ask this. Next year my girlfriend is letting me get the NFL package so it will only be a few more weeks.

11-26-2006, 09:42 PM
heyyyyyyyyyy guess what?

we lost...

cunningham06
11-26-2006, 10:49 PM
Yea not a good game today at least Demeco did well, man that guy is a beast. I don't know if any of you guys were watching the pre game for the Texans game but they showed Nick Mangolds sister and she was a beast. Some bull dike who is a dominant offensive lineman. We may have lost the game but at least none of our players have female relatives that manly.

datchapin
11-27-2006, 07:00 PM
You know the sad part is. We should be really improved. New coaching, new players, yet the end result's are the same. Stanley messed up horribly on the punt. You're a punter it's not like you got plays to memorize or run you just drop the ball and kick it. How do you mess that up? HOW?!! Then there's AJ dropping critical catches. Not to mention that our running game sucked balls. Don't even get me started on Carr. Okay one comment, HOW DO YOU FORGET WHICH WAY A RUN PLAY IS GOING WHEN YOU JUST CALLED THE DAMN PLAY!!!!????? I dunno, I look at all this stuff and I know there were positives yesterday, but right now I just can't bring myself to be optimistic.

America
11-27-2006, 09:08 PM
Flanagan and Sage are done for the year. Thomas Johnson is out for 2 weeks. Our 2 starting DTs weren't on on roster until midway through the season. Ouch.

Thunderstruck
11-28-2006, 03:38 PM
I know the Texans will likely take Peterson if he is there, but it isn't a no-brainer to me. I know the rushing attack has struggled, but I would give hard consideration to Alan Branch if he was still out there.

Imagine Mario Williams at a bookend bringing pressure off the edge and Alan Branch on the interior collapsing the pocket. If I was a defensive coordinator, I would salivate at the possibilites. With two studs next to him, a one-gapper like Travis Johnson could thrive. Even Anthony Weaver and Jason Babin would look better at the other bookend.

If Peterson was there, I would probably take him. However, I would be tempted to take Branch because I think Davis can still be a feature back under Kubiak.

Thoughts?

Grid
11-28-2006, 05:54 PM
I know the Texans will likely take Peterson if he is there, but it isn't a no-brainer to me. I know the rushing attack has struggled, but I would give hard consideration to Alan Branch if he was still out there.

Imagine Mario Williams at a bookend bringing pressure off the edge and Alan Branch on the interior collapsing the pocket. If I was a defensive coordinator, I would salivate at the possibilites. With two studs next to him, a one-gapper like Travis Johnson could thrive. Even Anthony Weaver and Jason Babin would look better at the other bookend.

If Peterson was there, I would probably take him. However, I would be tempted to take Branch because I think Davis can still be a feature back under Kubiak.

Thoughts?

No Davis is done playing. We simply have too many holes to fill and none is more important then Tackle and RB position. We need some one like Peterson or Lynch to have any kind of ground game.

So far Travis Johnson has been the biggest disappointment for the Texans . He will officially be first BUST in the Texans short time span if his game doesn't improve between now and next year. After next season there is good chance he might be let go.

On 610 yesterday Kubiak said he is not sure if Spencer can come back from his injury and be effective. He might have had career ending injury.

As much as I like to see Branch playing next to Mario, I really don't see it happening this year due to our needs at secondary, LB, RB and LT.

Off season strategy should be to spend tons of money on Briggs and Clements in free agency.

Draft -

Round 1 - Thomas or AP or Lynch (depending on health of Spencer)
Round 2 - FS
Round 3 - DT / OLB
Round 4 - OC
Round 5 - DT / OLB
Round 6 - K
Round 7 - P

gunn
11-29-2006, 12:36 PM
He will officially be first BUST in the Texans short time span if his game doesn't improve between now and next year. After next season there is good chance he might be let go.

First BUST????

I'll stick to players taken in the first 3 rounds.

1 David Carr - At this point, you can give all the excuses you want, but I say Bust.
2 Jabar Gaffney - Is he out of football yet?
3 Charles Hill - Out of football

2 Tony Hollings - Out of football
2 Ben Joppru - Out of football? If not, he's walking the line.
3 Seth Wand - Out of football?
3 Dave Ragone - Completely wasted pick

1 Jason Babin - We traded away three first day picks for him. I say bust.

1 Travis Johnson - Completely baffling pick. Likely a bust

Lets not forget that we also gave away a second and a third round pick for Phillip Buchanon. Is he still employed by an NFL team?

datchapin
11-29-2006, 05:34 PM
A while back I disagreed with Grid about the selection of Peterson in the first rd. I'm not jumping on the bandwagon yet, but with five games left neither Lundy or Gado have shown enough consistency to be starters on our team. There have been a ton of missed lanes throughout the season and one (me) could argue that they make up for it by hitting the lane when they need to. However this last game they both looked beyond horrible. They danced in the backfield, were indecisive and just couldn't pick up any yardage.

I think that another thing that ails our running game is the insistence of using the fullback. We've had more success with single back sets. I don't mind the fullback in the backfield if he got carries, but thus far their run blocking has been inneffective and we would be better off running a two RB set instead of using the FB. I guess in short what I'm saying is we don't need Cook get rid of his ass.

America
11-29-2006, 09:15 PM
That would suck if Spencer's injury was that serious. I can't see how it could be though, because with all the medicine and technology of today, people come back from torn ACLs pretty routinely. Plus wasn't it a clean fracture?

Grid
11-30-2006, 01:01 AM
He will officially be first BUST in the Texans short time span if his game doesn't improve between now and next year. After next season there is good chance he might be let go.

First BUST????

I'll stick to players taken in the first 3 rounds.

1 David Carr - At this point, you can give all the excuses you want, but I say Bust.
2 Jabar Gaffney - Is he out of football yet?
3 Charles Hill - Out of football

2 Tony Hollings - Out of football
2 Ben Joppru - Out of football? If not, he's walking the line.
3 Seth Wand - Out of football?
3 Dave Ragone - Completely wasted pick

1 Jason Babin - We traded away three first day picks for him. I say bust.

1 Travis Johnson - Completely baffling pick. Likely a bust

Lets not forget that we also gave away a second and a third round pick for Phillip Buchanon. Is he still employed by an NFL team?

Oops sorry. You're absolutely right about our previous coaches and GM. Its shame that we wasted so many draft picks. Some times I wonder if all those picks had been utilized properly like this year then how different our team be looking right now.

Gaffney is out of foot ball as well, he was cut by Eagles and Joppru is on Chicago practice squad right now.

Grid
11-30-2006, 01:18 AM
That would suck if Spencer's injury was that serious. I can't see how it could be though, because with all the medicine and technology of today, people come back from torn ACLs pretty routinely. Plus wasn't it a clean fracture?

A high break in the bone like he had often results in soft tissue damage too. That is why they've been saying the leg was broken in a bad place. They have to wait for the bone to heal before they address the ligaments.

According to Kubiak on Monday 610 report: it was a bad injury and that they don't know if he will be able to get back to his previous form. Take that for what it's worth.

I think Kubiak was saying "with an ACL injury" you know the time table, and it has been proven time and time again. With Spencer's injury, you do not have the same kind of repetitive recovery to use to predict his return. Every broken leg injury is different in where it breaks and the extent of injury to the soft tissue and the atrophy of the muscles in the leg in a cast.

Guys no one will know where Spencer is until spring time. And even then we may not have a solid return by date. So far Spencer is following doctors order to the T and he is recovering ahead of schedule with out any complications to report of but it is too soon to say anything about him or his health.

This may change our draft strategy.

datchapin
11-30-2006, 09:11 AM
I hate Ron Dayne. It feels as if all he did was come in and take out Spencer. This season is going so bad I feel like I wanna cry. 3 starting linemen out for the season 2 starting DT's and a backup out our starting RB may be out forever our back-up QB. This sucks.

Dunta_23
11-30-2006, 09:16 AM
Jabar Gaffney is currently playing with the Patriots
Phillip Buchanon was signed by the Bucs immediately after his release, and i think Seth Wand has been signed by the Titans

Grid
11-30-2006, 10:34 AM
Jabar Gaffney is currently playing with the Patriots
Phillip Buchanon was signed by the Bucs immediately after his release, and i think Seth Wand has been signed by the Titans

All of these players have been one year rental sort of speak. They haven't set the world on fire since joining new team. Patriats had no receiving corp after their starters bolted so they picked up Gaffeney. Titans were hearting at tackle position very badly so they picked up Seth Wand (he has better future then the rest of this group). We all know how Buchanon is so I won't go into details for him. Joppru was signed by Chicago and letter cut. He just signed with Seattle.

I wish all of these guys well.

Grid
11-30-2006, 04:20 PM
I found Coachdent article on Texans message board very interesting and worth reading to find out why we are struggling so much with cover 2 defense and vertical game of the Texans.

http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=31619

cunningham06
11-30-2006, 04:54 PM
Like most teams with bad records now that we've lost quite a few lets look forward to the one thing we have to look forward too. The draft. We've got a lot of positions that we could go with a first rounder on. I personally would like to see us take Leon Hall to give Dunta some help out there. Faggins has been horrible lately, but I feel he could be a solid nickel back. Then in the second I kind of want a defensive tackle. We've already got some space eaters so a quick athletic penetrator would be nice. Then maybe a safety or guard or center.

Grid
11-30-2006, 06:09 PM
Like most teams with bad records now that we've lost quite a few lets look forward to the one thing we have to look forward too. The draft. We've got a lot of positions that we could go with a first rounder on. I personally would like to see us take Leon Hall to give Dunta some help out there. Faggins has been horrible lately, but I feel he could be a solid nickel back. Then in the second I kind of want a defensive tackle. We've already got some space eaters so a quick athletic penetrator would be nice. Then maybe a safety or guard or center.

This off season I believe following players more then likely will be let go due to salary cap, age, injuries and lack of productions.

Steve McKinney (I still don't know why we signed him to new contract this year)
Mark Bruenner
Morlon Greenwood
Kailee Wong
Seth Payne (Injuries have taken its toll)
Jason Babin - Traded for draft picks. Not enough production
Peek - Walks with FA. Not enough production in regular season
RT (forgetting the name but he is injured right now)

Obviously with all needs that we have on our team can't be fixed in one draft. So let's analyze Texans needs first on both offense and defense.

Offense:

RB - DD is done and we don't have consistent running game
LT ( depending on health of Spencer of course)
OC - good year to draft one, since Flannagan is getting up in age but he can still play for year or two.

Defense:

FS
CB
DT
OLB

Our biggest needs lies in the secondary but rookie CB gets abused allot in the NFL and normally speaking it takes few years for them to settle down where as FS, SS and LB can play right out from college and be very productive in the game.

By emphasizing on defense this year, it will give us a fighting chance to at least be in the ball game.

Draft - Depends where we land in the draft

Round 1 - Allan Branch / AP or Lynch / Thomas (depending on health of Spencer)
Round 2 - FS
Round 3 - OLB
Round 4 - OC

Free Agency: Spend loads of money and sign Clements first then Briggs

If we end up in top 5 then it will be better to trade down and pick up few more draft picks on day one.

Travis Johnson really hasn't played well for us at all.

cunningham06
11-30-2006, 06:26 PM

This off season I believe following players more then likely will be let go due to salary cap, age, injuries and lack of productions.

Steve McKinney (I still don't know why we signed him to new contract this year)
Mark Bruenner
Morlon Greenwood
Kailee Wong
Seth Payne (Injuries have taken its toll)
Jason Babin - Traded for draft picks. Not enough production
Peek - Walks with FA. Not enough production in regular season
RT (forgetting the name but he is injured right now)

Obviously with all needs that we have on our team can't be fixed in one draft. So let's analyze Texans needs first on both offense and defense.

Offense:

RB - DD is done and we don't have consistent running game
LT ( depending on health of Spencer of course)
OC - good year to draft one, since Flannagan is getting up in age but he can still play for year or two.

Defense:

FS
CB
DT
OLB

Our biggest needs lies in the secondary but rookie CB gets abused allot in the NFL and normally speaking it takes few years for them to settle down where as FS, SS and LB can play right out from college and be very productive in the game.

By emphasizing on defense this year, it will give us a fighting chance to at least be in the ball game.

Draft - Depends where we land in the draft

Round 1 - Allan Branch / AP or Lynch / Thomas (depending on health of Spencer)
Round 2 - FS
Round 3 - OLB
Round 4 - OC

Free Agency: Spend loads of money and sign Clements first then Briggs

If we end up in top 5 then it will be better to trade down and pick up few more draft picks on day one.

Travis Johnson really hasn't played well for us at all.

That would be awesome if we got either one of them, but there is no way we will get both. We won't be able to offer both players more than everyone else and still have comfortable room under the salary cap.

datchapin
11-30-2006, 08:51 PM
I found Coachdent article on Texans message board very interesting and worth reading to find out why we are struggling so much with cover 2 defense and vertical game of the Texans.

I gotta say I really like how he broke it down. However, there are many ways to exploit the cover two which he either didn't cover or emphasize. To keep it short in order to beat the cover two you have to exploit the players covering each zone. Releasing 2 or three receivers at a time will never be effective if they don't focus on certain zones. The way we've run our defense we've usually had two receivers going deep the problem is that there are four defenders covering these zones and since we don't send a third receiver into deep routes defenders have an easier time of rolling coverage to the zones the receivers are covering. If we had a slot receiver or TE run a deeper route to occupy a deep zone that had to be accounted for by a safety we would have one of the other two receivers on one on one match-ups.

I think it boils down to our coaches not willing to do these things. I'm hard pressed to think that they don't know how to handle this defense when they came in with the knowledge of facing Dungy's defense and not having a plan on beating it. If you notice late in the game we've had success against these defenses, but the coaches got to do this throughout the game not once we've fallen behind. The five wide sets really exploit this cover, but you don't see this as much as you should from our team.

I really don't want to get into berating the coaches because to be honest they're rookies as well. However alot of what ails this team still lies at their feet. I don't like how conservative they can get and I don't aprove of everything they do, however considering they are rookies I gotta hope that they can learn from their mistakes and correct them before the end of the season. I say give them time because sometimes when your so engrossed with something it can be hard to see what the dilema is, hopefully coach K will get it figured out real soon.

Grid
12-01-2006, 11:16 AM

I gotta say I really like how he broke it down. However, there are many ways to exploit the cover two which he either didn't cover or emphasize. To keep it short in order to beat the cover two you have to exploit the players covering each zone. Releasing 2 or three receivers at a time will never be effective if they don't focus on certain zones. The way we've run our defense we've usually had two receivers going deep the problem is that there are four defenders covering these zones and since we don't send a third receiver into deep routes defenders have an easier time of rolling coverage to the zones the receivers are covering. If we had a slot receiver or TE run a deeper route to occupy a deep zone that had to be accounted for by a safety we would have one of the other two receivers on one on one match-ups.

I think it boils down to our coaches not willing to do these things. I'm hard pressed to think that they don't know how to handle this defense when they came in with the knowledge of facing Dungy's defense and not having a plan on beating it. If you notice late in the game we've had success against these defenses, but the coaches got to do this throughout the game not once we've fallen behind. The five wide sets really exploit this cover, but you don't see this as much as you should from our team.

I really don't want to get into berating the coaches because to be honest they're rookies as well. However alot of what ails this team still lies at their feet. I don't like how conservative they can get and I don't aprove of everything they do, however considering they are rookies I gotta hope that they can learn from their mistakes and correct them before the end of the season. I say give them time because sometimes when your so engrossed with something it can be hard to see what the dilema is, hopefully coach K will get it figured out real soon.

I agree with you 100% but due to lack of talent on both side of the ball, Kubes is playing it safe and trying to keep the ball games under control. If he had better running game then you might have seen better play action play. This is the reason he was trying to acquire DeAngelo Williams in the draft last year. Good thing he didn't because it would have meant no Ryans.

Grid
12-01-2006, 11:30 AM
Depending on off season moves you have to select the best player based your team priority and needs.

Round 1 - Allan Branch or AP or Lynch or Thomas (depending on health of Spencer)

datchapin
12-03-2006, 10:33 AM

I agree with you 100% but due to lack of talent on both side of the ball, Kubes is playing it safe and trying to keep the ball games under control. If he had better running game then you might have seen better play action play. This is the reason he was trying to acquire DeAngelo Williams in the draft last year. Good thing he didn't because it would have meant no Ryans.

At this point in the season a lack of talent can be attributed to injuries. However even if a team lacks talent in one area it is the coaches job to make sure there is enough talent on the team at all time to get the job done. Our DT area is average at best however they do their job well enough that everyone else can still be effective. The play action shouldn't even be an issue. If you don't have a running game you drop the play action and drop straight into the passing play. This is also something that frustrates me about this coaching staff. You got third and long and you think that a defense is going to fall for a play action. Even if you did run on third and long D's in the zone coverage don't worry much about it because the RB would have to get through the firs level of zones before getting the first down. Also when you have success with a 5 receiver set and know it gives zone defenses trouble covering it why disguise it. Shove it down their throat and get the first down. This is a battle of wills and alot of times you need to just go with your strength and put it agains their strength and see who comes out on top.

datchapin
12-03-2006, 11:24 AM
Well, gameday is here and while usually I'm hyped up and full of confidence, after last week's game I'm a little tentative about todays game. I have confidence we can take this game, but it should still be a good game. Last week was just bad how we came out so flat. If we come out like that again we're gonna be crushed. (again) However if we play like we mean it we can definetely take this game. Hopefully we get the win. GO TEXANS!!

marks01234
12-03-2006, 06:18 PM
Big win today.

How'd Mario look?

primetime0506
12-03-2006, 10:40 PM
sloppy game 2 day but we won and that wa matters carr played bad but demeco ryans was a beast again

cunningham06
12-03-2006, 10:55 PM
:shock: DEMECO :shock:

If he doesn't get DROY then I will be pissed. Demeco is so damn good he will be a great part of our defense for many years to come.

NIN1984
12-03-2006, 11:08 PM
Just 4 more weeks and this nightmare will be over for the Raiders but I still give credit where credit is due Ryans looks awesome should be DROTY and even Mario Williams was blowing plays up like crazy.

2 young studs

Grid
12-04-2006, 01:11 AM
Demeco Ryans had one of the greatest games I've seen a linebacker have. He recovered two fumbles. He forced a fumble. He intercepted a pass. He had a sack. And he had a game-high 15 tackles (14 solo tackles and 1 assist). If he's not defensive rookie of the year there should be an investigation. Right now, I think he should get strong consideration for the Pro Bowl.

Presently Ryans is leading the league in solo tackles.

As for Carr, I think time is right accept our loss and move on. It amazes me he was drafted top of his class and he consistently performs like some one who wasn't even drafted or some one who has absolutely no business being on the football field.

It amazes me how these guys makes millions of dollars and yet have no self pride or lack motivations.

primetime0506
12-05-2006, 02:09 PM
when carr came out he was the #1 qb and he was coming from an nfl type system and he also threw the ball deep alot and was considered a good decision maker but bad coching and bad o-line was the reson he struggled early but now he has to take blame this year i sitll think 1 more year becaue he changes offense so much but evry 1 on radio pretty much wantes him gone and if we do juss hope we dont get jake plummer because then it be worse next year cuz he sucked with denver and on a worse team like houston he suck even more and make you more fustrated

datchapin
12-05-2006, 09:27 PM
It's frustrating to see the blame get put everywhere, but where it should be. Kubiak is the HC so I don't know if he's the one responsible for everything the offense does. However the play-calling is attrocious. Running a bootleg on the 1-2 yd. line when the defense has shown nothing but effectiveness with back side discipline is just STUPID. Turning around and running a reverse to that side stupid. Okay here's a question. Has anyone seen any of the TE's bump the DE before releasing into their routes. Ummm. No I bet you haven't they never do that that's a part of the protection problem. Heres another one. Has anybody seen a deep slant or crossing route? I didn't think so. Kubiak says he wants to put his players in positions to succeed, but the guy keeps doing the same thing over and over again. He needs to change things up. I hate to say it because he's a rookie HC, but right now all our offensive problems are squarely at his feet.

primetime0506
12-05-2006, 10:39 PM
preach preach preach i understand wa ur sayin man he needs to do more things with the offense because the plays have become predictable he needs to PA and throw deep take sum the coverage back and they need to run deep drags and the TE needs to push the safteys up the field and that will allow the deep routes to be there but still players must play but i still think carr is a good qb

Grid
12-06-2006, 03:40 AM
when carr came out he was the #1 qb and he was coming from an nfl type system and he also threw the ball deep alot and was considered a good decision maker but bad coching and bad o-line was the reson he struggled early but now he has to take blame this year i sitll think 1 more year becaue he changes offense so much but evry 1 on radio pretty much wantes him gone and if we do juss hope we dont get jake plummer because then it be worse next year cuz he sucked with denver and on a worse team like houston he suck even more and make you more fustrated

What do you expect from a quarterback who had to endure record setting beating for 5 years straight?

He is walking on his own two feet is very big thing right now. What happened to him in Oakland should not be blamed on his head. Even you put Payton Manning in Carr place and believe me Manning will be no better then Carr.

I remember last year in AFC playoff Manning was sacked a few times and he publicly blasted the team and offensive line for the loss against Pittsburg. In five years, we have never heard Carr complain publicly to any one.

I think Carr has all the tools to be a great QB in the NFL but he is not capable of doing it on his own, he is not some one who is capable of carrying his team on his back. Carr can be good game manager, which is not a bad thing (Ben Roethlisberger of Pittsburg) but he is not some one who will throw the ball all over the field and bring the team back from behind.

One of the reason Pittsburgh has struggled this year is due to inconsistency in their running game because their offense is built on running game and Texans have similar philosophy.

There are many factors contributing to Carr demise Offensive Line, No running game or inconsistent running game, Play calling. For all practical purposes we will never know how good Carr could have been if he had half way decent OL protection and running game on his side. After taking beating for 5 straight years, Carr is not the same QB who played against cowboys on the opening night in 2002.

I remember same thing had happened to Oilers, Dan Pasterini and he didn’t take half as much beating as Carr has taken the past 5 years. When Earl Campbell joined Oilers in 1978 is when Oilers started wining and making playoffs. Our most pressing need with this team is finding that kind of a running back.

Maybe drafting Adrian Peterson or Marshawn Lynch can take some of the pressure off of Carr, and help move the chain with some consistency and control the clock. It will also give Texans time to build the team accordingly.

locseti
12-06-2006, 03:45 AM
If you guys dont want Carr anymore, we'll gladly take him

cunningham06
12-06-2006, 08:04 PM
Scott's new mock has us taking Sam Baker, I don't really like that pick. The Texans don't need to invest more draft picks in offensive tackles this draft. Spencer was very good before his injury, and Winston is coming along.

America
12-06-2006, 08:17 PM
If Peterson is picked by our selection, I think we should trade down into the teens and get Marshawn. We have so many more pressing needs and Kubes is supposed to make an 1000 yard rusher out of anyone, but I believe a lot of the offense we thought we were getting is still in Denver. I don't want a rookie corner. We need an established vet. I love Brian Leonard, he could be a great FB with us, although we don't run the FB that much, they catch a whole lot of passes, something he's much better than Cook at. Plus he blocks better too. Line is always an option, but I'm never a fan of drafting a position high one year, and then drafting it high again the next. Winston looked bad last Sunday, hopefully, with more experience he can be a good player. I love Spencer. I think he can be our LT. I'd like to move Weigert inside to RG, and then possibly get a new future center; I'm not so sure about Hodgon. Pitts still isn't very good, the only reason I like him is that he's been in nearly every offensive play in our short history. We need to get a slot receiver. Our lack of a downfield threat has really shown this year. I still like Carr, although I'd much rather have Vince Young. Carr has been too beat up and experienced too much criticism and loss. He has no poise or confidence. I'm pretty positive we ruined him as a player. I would be very glad if our offseason went something like this.

1(12-18 range). Marshawn Lynch
2(5-10 range). Ben Grubbs
2.(12-18 range) Brian Leonard
3.(5-10 range) Brandon Meriweather or Brandon Mebane

Sign:
If Mebane is the pick - Ken Kamlin, Deon Grant or Jordan Babineaux to play FS
We'd be extremely fortunate to sign either Asante Samuel or Nate Clements.
If Meriweather is the pick - Corey Redding, Terdell Sands or Vonnie Holliday. It depends on what we're looking for. Redding has played very well this year at DT in the Cover 2. It's his natural position. Sands has finally filled his Madden potential, meaning he is huge and smart on the field. Holliday is a penetrating savvy vet.
The WR spot is kind of weak. If we throw big money to a 2 good D players, we might not have much more room, although I'm pretty sure we're well under the cap. Kevin Curtis would be a great slot guy, although I'm not sure we can lure him away. Bobby Wade could be a solid player. I don't enjoy getting excited about next season in the middle of this one. We need a big win sunday.

America
If Peterson is picked by our selection, I think we should trade down into the teens and get Marshawn. We have so many more pressing needs and Kubes is supposed to make an 1000 yard rusher out of anyone, but I believe a lot of the offense we thought we were getting is still in Denver. I don't want a rookie corner. We need an established vet. I love Brian Leonard, he could be a great FB with us, although we don't run the FB that much, they catch a whole lot of passes, something he's much better than Cook at. Plus he blocks better too. Line is always an option, but I'm never a fan of drafting a position high one year, and then drafting it high again the next. Winston looked bad last Sunday, hopefully, with more experience he can be a good player. I love Spencer. I think he can be our LT. I'd like to move Weigert inside to RG, and then possibly get a new future center; I'm not so sure about Hodgon. Pitts still isn't very good, the only reason I like him is that he's been in nearly every offensive play in our short history. We need to get a slot receiver. Our lack of a downfield threat has really shown this year. I still like Carr, although I'd much rather have Vince Young. Carr has been too beat up and experienced too much criticism and loss. He has no poise or confidence. I'm pretty positive we ruined him as a player. I would be very glad if our offseason went something like this.

Sign:
If Meriweather is the pick - Corey Redding, Terdell Sands or Vonnie Holliday. It depends on what we're looking for. Redding has played very well this year at DT in the Cover 2. It's his natural position. Sands has finally filled his Madden potential, meaning he is huge and smart on the field. Holliday is a penetrating savvy vet.
The WR spot is kind of weak. If we throw big money to a 2 good D players, we might not have much more room, although I'm pretty sure we're well under the cap. Kevin Curtis would be a great slot guy, although I'm not sure we can lure him away. Bobby Wade could be a solid player. I don't enjoy getting excited about next season in the middle of this one. We need a big win sunday.

America

Sign:

Grid
12-07-2006, 02:25 AM
Carr is auditioning for his Job in the next 4 games.

Link 1: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4384854.html

Link 2: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/lopez/texans/4382253.html

On Texans official forum some one was discussing that Coach K had said some time back that he likes to try Fred Weary at OC some times next year, if Wric Winston doesn't out at RT. But first he wants to give all the chances to Eric to play RT full time. On draft year of Fred Weary he was listed as number 1 OC in the draft. I think it will be a good move.

LT - Spencer
LG - Pitts
OC - Fred Weary
RG - Eric Winston

Grid
12-07-2006, 02:26 AM
Carr is auditioning for his Job in the next 4 games.

Link 1: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4384854.html

Link 2: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/lopez/texans/4382253.html

On Texans official forum some one was discussing that Coach K had said some time back that he likes to try Fred Weary at OC some times next year, if Wric Winston doesn't out at RT. But first he wants to give all the chances to Eric to play RT full time. On draft year of Fred Weary he was listed as number 1 OC in the draft. I think it will be a good move.

LT - Spencer
LG - Pitts
OC - Fred Weary
RG - Eric Winston

smittyjs
12-08-2006, 08:53 AM
Big game this week for both teams 8)

datchapin
12-10-2006, 09:11 AM
It's game day baby! As usual this game is very winnable. NO CHECK THAT WE WILL WIN THIS GAME!! I can feel it. Usually this feeling changes from week to week, but I just feel our guys are gonna really be up for this. Taylor was activated so hopefully he'll get some carries today.

America
12-10-2006, 09:47 AM
Battle Red Day? I'm there nonetheless. Demeco will continue his dominance.

smittyjs
12-10-2006, 03:21 PM
It's game day baby! As usual this game is very winnable. NO CHECK THAT WE WILL WIN THIS GAME!! I can feel it. Usually this feeling changes from week to week, but I just feel our guys are gonna really be up for this. Taylor was activated so hopefully he'll get some carries today.VYisaGOD.....no sweep..... :lol:

datchapin
12-11-2006, 10:32 AM
It's game day baby! As usual this game is very winnable. NO CHECK THAT WE WILL WIN THIS GAME!! I can feel it. Usually this feeling changes from week to week, but I just feel our guys are gonna really be up for this. Taylor was activated so hopefully he'll get some carries today.VYisaGOD.....no sweep..... :lol:

Ugh, no comment. :cry:

cunningham06
12-11-2006, 07:38 PM

We got vinced.

2drama
12-12-2006, 12:00 AM

We got vinced.

How does it feel to know the texans passed on Vince Young or Reggie Bush :lol:

cunningham06
12-12-2006, 09:56 PM

We got vinced.

I wish we had Vince I could care less about Reggie, we got a player better than him in the second round, Demeco Ryans.

marks01234
12-14-2006, 10:55 AM

We got vinced.

I wouldn't even think of taking Bush if I had a chance to do it over again. I'd rather D'Brick.

Vince looks good now but I'm far from sold on him as a QB. I still feel great about Mario's future espically when he gets fully healthy.

Ravens1991
12-14-2006, 03:17 PM
does the coaching staff move Williams to different positions on the field, if so do you agree with that?

marks01234
12-14-2006, 04:30 PM
does the coaching staff move Williams to different positions on the field, if so do you agree with that?

They have.

Mario has been banged up some over the past few weeks, playing through pain and missing practice. Therefore he's been primarly at DE. He was being rotated to DT at the start of the season. I don't think anybody liked seeing him moved around but I certainly could understand. Every team should enter the season targeting the playoffs and I believe that's what we were doing.

He had an excellent stretch when playing DE where he had 3.5 sacks in the 3 games. He put some solid pressure on the Raiders a few weeks ago. He's shown some great burst and if he can get back to health, he will be able to showcase that to finish the season.

BTW, people should remember Mario is currently the youngest defensive starter in the league at only 21 years old. He's younger than a lot of college seniors including Gaines Adams and Quinton Moses, the top college DE prospects.

datchapin
12-14-2006, 08:10 PM
I know it's water under the bridge, but does anybody else get tired of the no-calls on our team?

Dunta_23
12-15-2006, 02:00 PM
Somebody on the Texans website was talking about this the other day and showed frame by frame pictures of Vince Young's TD run in OT...and it is clear as day that Mario is being held extremely bad.....and as the frame goes on you see Mario calling for a flag....to no avail....I guess we need to earn the respect of the officials too now :(

cunningham06
12-15-2006, 11:51 PM
I know it's water under the bridge, but does anybody else get tired of the no-calls on our team?

Sure, but every team has that kind of thing, at least the Texans didn't get beat by a 62 yard field goal by a mediocre kicker.

datchapin
12-15-2006, 11:59 PM

Sure, but every team has that kind of thing, at least the Texans didn't get beat by a 62 yard field goal by a mediocre kicker.

Yeah, I guess you have a point. I'm sure I focus more on the Texans because that's the team I watch most, but seriously officiating throughout the league has a huge impact on the outcomes of games. It's just frustrating when you have a loosing team because you always wonder how many games it's cost you. If you have a winning team you don't notice it as much even though it's still there winning somewhat soothes the pain. Oh well, hopefully we'll have a good showing this weekend.

Grid
12-16-2006, 06:56 AM
Somebody on the Texans website was talking about this the other day and showed frame by frame pictures of Vince Young's TD run in OT...and it is clear as day that Mario is being held extremely bad.....and as the frame goes on you see Mario calling for a flag....to no avail....I guess we need to earn the respect of the officials too now :(

Here is the Link: http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=32518

Check it true. It is true

smittyjs
12-16-2006, 01:39 PM
Both the refs were dazzled by VY's blinding radiance and missed it--not there fault, they should have had shades on. :lol: 8)

Dunta_23
12-17-2006, 10:41 AM
Well its gameday....whats the prediction for today?

I think that the game is going to be closer than a lot of ppl are probably projecting it to be.....but probably another loss.....hoping for a win though!!

cunningham06
12-17-2006, 12:12 PM
Well its gameday....whats the prediction for today?

I think that the game is going to be closer than a lot of ppl are probably projecting it to be.....but probably another loss.....hoping for a win though!!

I've kind of got a bad feeling about this one, thinking it might end in a loss. Hopefully Demeco will have a big game.

marks01234
12-17-2006, 04:28 PM
eh, ugly game. I got to a chance to watch a bit of the first Q and saw both of Carr INTs. I wonder if he we start thinking QB if Quinn is available. I definately wouldn't want Russell/Smith with our #1, maybe Smith with our #2.

America
12-17-2006, 06:49 PM
Balls that was crap, Troy Smith would be great, Kubes likes to roll out his QBs anyways, so Smith's height wouldn't be as much of a problem.

Grid
12-18-2006, 06:11 AM
I sincerely believe that Carr doesn't want to play for Texans any more and he is forcing the FO to make decision this off season. I believe he is purposely trying to loose games by throwing interception, fumbles deep on his own side of the field.

He is a looser with no heart. He needs to go other wise Texans will have hard time selling tickets next year.

Look at Vince and his stats, his stats stinks but he finds a way to win. Biggest stats in any sports is Wins and Loses.

Even still Carr lovers will continue to say he throws for 70% pass completion and who can argue with such.

Draft Kevin Kolb in 3rd round this year and let him sit on bench for year or two and let you back up QB lead the team next year.

Ship Carr and his sorry A** out of town for what ever you can get.

Dunta_23
12-18-2006, 03:42 PM
I sincerely believe that Carr doesn't want to play for Texans any more and he is forcing the FO to make decision this off season. I believe he is purposely trying to loose games by throwing interception, fumbles deep on his own side of the field.

He is a looser with no heart. He needs to go other wise Texans will have hard time selling tickets next year.

Look at Vince and his stats, his stats stinks but he finds a way to win. Biggest stats in any sports is Wins and Loses.

Even still Carr lovers will continue to say he throws for 70% pass completion and who can argue with such.

Draft Kevin Kolb in 3rd round this year and let him sit on bench for year or two and let you back up QB lead the team next year.

I 100% agree with you that David Carr has had a poor season....but to think that he is tanking it on purpose is just crazy...The only thing that would do would cost him millions of dollars down the road....and no matter what Veteran QB they throw behind that line, he is going to struggle...

And to say that Vince finds ways to win is a little bit of a misconception...he really had 0 to do with the win yesterday....it was all defense and special teams... the offense barely had the ball for a quarter...and when they did, they didnt move it...and in the Giants game....IF Kiwanuka finishes a tackle the game is over....Vince really had nothing to do on that play other than run the ball 19 yards AFTER the DE screwed up and then it was a 60 yard field goal to win it...

I still believe it is time for Carr to move on after this season... The front office never gave him a legitimate chance to succeed(protection wise) and he also hasnt done himself any favours either... I will still support Carr if he moves on from Houston because he has tried to make things happen for the team....

Either way I expect some major changes in the offseason now that the new GM and coach have had a year together....Id love to see the draft Adrian Peterson in the first....I dont think Lundy has what it takes and Daybe isnt gonna be around long enough and has no breakaway ability...

Grid
12-18-2006, 05:14 PM

I 100% agree with you that David Carr has had a poor season....but to think that he is tanking it on purpose is just crazy...The only thing that would do would cost him millions of dollars down the road....and no matter what Veteran QB they throw behind that line, he is going to struggle...

And to say that Vince finds ways to win is a little bit of a misconception...he really had 0 to do with the win yesterday....it was all defense and special teams... the offense barely had the ball for a quarter...and when they did, they didnt move it...and in the Giants game....IF Kiwanuka finishes a tackle the game is over....Vince really had nothing to do on that play other than run the ball 19 yards AFTER the DE screwed up and then it was a 60 yard field goal to win it...

I still believe it is time for Carr to move on after this season... The front office never gave him a legitimate chance to succeed(protection wise) and he also hasnt done himself any favours either... I will still support Carr if he moves on from Houston because he has tried to make things happen for the team....

Either way I expect some major changes in the offseason now that the new GM and coach have had a year together....Id love to see the draft Adrian Peterson in the first....I dont think Lundy has what it takes and Daybe isnt gonna be around long enough and has no breakaway ability...

I still think Carr is tanking it purposely so that FO can get rid of him this off season. David Carr doesn't care for money any more, he has already suckered us into paying him enough money to a point where he doesn't need to do anything in life. How much money have we already paid him since the day he was drafted. I have never seen any passion or concerns from him after post game interviews. Most players talk about his game and what went wrong but we never get to hear such things from him.

Yesterday he talked more about being with his family then about football. On football front all he said was that he tried to put the team on his shoulder and win the game and unfortunately it didn't happen. He feels as if he is still elite level QB in this league.

Vince inspires his team to play better offensively or defensively or special team. You look at his stats and it is worst in the league but his team is winning and has been winning the past 5 weeks.

datchapin
12-18-2006, 06:59 PM
You lost my respect Grid. I thought you were a fellow analitical football mind. However I was wrong. I can't believe you would stoop to conspiracy theories. You watched the game, Seymour made a great play, he knew the timing and was able to get the int. The second int. came from Bruschi diving accross the field to tip a pass, he also read the route, but had he not done that that int. would not have happened either. There was another play where it was an incomplete pass, but Samuels almost beat Mould's to the ball. Samuel's again read the route perfectly later on in the game and stole the ball from right in front of O. Daniel's. The int. that came from overthrowing AJ is the only one I can really attribute to Carr, but the other ones weren't his fault. I've talked about it before, but our route running is pathetic, it get's torn apart in the zone because we can't take advantage of the soft zones. Defenses have an easy time reading the routes from the get go and being on top of our receivers. This can't be put on Carr, the guy is doing his best and is actually one of our bright spots on offense no matter what you say. A QB can only do so much, our coaching and receiver's need to help him out as well as the line and RB's, it's just alot of things that are wrong with this team and blaming Carr for the loss is just simple minded.

datchapin
12-18-2006, 07:16 PM
A player that I've been disappointed with this season is A. Johnson. Yes, he's a pro-bowler, but the guy still isn't living up to his potential. He drops to many balls. What I don't get is how Kubiak praises his work ethic, but I wonder, what the hell does he work on, because it doesn't look like he works on catching the ball. Yesterday our seventh round pick had the best reception of the game, I thought to myself, when was the last time we've seen Johnson do something like that. I can't remember. Johnson had a ball go right through his hands on a third down conversion that if he had pulled it down would have been a first down. I watched that play over and over and think to myself.... how could a pro-bowler not catch that? Later on in the game he had a long ball. Everyone says Carr overthrew him, but watch that play again. Johnson broke stride to try and find the ball, even when the ball hit the ground you could see him stutter stepping. He had beat his man and had a clear field to the end-zone, yet he broke stride to find a perfectly thrown ball. How is that pro-bowl caliber. I could go on, but point is Johnson is not living up to his end. The ball on which Carr overthrew him for an int. was a slant. Why didn't he adjust to the ball the ball was in the air when he made the break, he didn't find the ball though and was just way out of position. Had he adjusted to the ball he would have been A) Able to make the play, B) prevent the int. C) even if the ball was still an int. in a better position to prevent the CB from having the huge return. Here's another thing he's our guy, yet he's been fundamentally outplayed by all the other receiver's. The fact that Carr's made A.J. a pro-bowler is an accomplishment onto itself, because any other QB wouldn't have thrown to him as constantly with as many drops as he's had.

datchapin
12-18-2006, 07:25 PM
Talking about position's I'm disappointed with I gotta say it. Our backfield sucks. Dayne is a back-up our line is opening holes for him and he's not getting the job done. Lundy looks like he could be better, but not by much. Dayne leave's a ton of yard's on the field. All our guys do, other RB's find yards that aren't there our guys can't even get all the yards that are given to them. None of them do, none of them have great vision. Only Lundy has bounced it outside successfully when the play breaks down. It's funny because we're so used to seeing garbage now that Dayne looks like a good back for us. Simply not true, DD is out of the picture, but he had great vision and were he here he would be gobbling up yards. We need a good RB, I don't care if it's AP, Lynch, a FA like Bett's or whoever, but we need an upgrade and we need it ASAP. Another thing that get's me with this situation is why isn't the coaching staff giving Taylor any carries, they signed him onto the roster and he's basically just decoration. Put him out there and evaluate him! The season is over for us, evaluate everyone. It just makes me sick how bad this team has been handled thus far.

Grid
12-19-2006, 02:20 AM
You lost my respect Grid. I thought you were a fellow analitical football mind. However I was wrong. I can't believe you would stoop to conspiracy theories. You watched the game, Seymour made a great play, he knew the timing and was able to get the int. The second int. came from Bruschi diving accross the field to tip a pass, he also read the route, but had he not done that that int. would not have happened either. There was another play where it was an incomplete pass, but Samuels almost beat Mould's to the ball. Samuel's again read the route perfectly later on in the game and stole the ball from right in front of O. Daniel's. The int. that came from overthrowing AJ is the only one I can really attribute to Carr, but the other ones weren't his fault. I've talked about it before, but our route running is pathetic, it get's torn apart in the zone because we can't take advantage of the soft zones. Defenses have an easy time reading the routes from the get go and being on top of our receivers. This can't be put on Carr, the guy is doing his best and is actually one of our bright spots on offense no matter what you say. A QB can only do so much, our coaching and receiver's need to help him out as well as the line and RB's, it's just alot of things that are wrong with this team and blaming Carr for the loss is just simple minded.

you're correct and I am sorry to let you down in such a way but tell you the truth I am really down the last couple of weeks with the team and its performance. I was so down after first 5 - 10 minutes that I didn't even watch rest of the game. I acted like a kid and I should have known better.

I know we lack talent but more then winning and loosing I had really wanted to see some fire in these players, some passions, some heart. I know its not fair of me to judge Carr the way I did and I am sincerely sorry for it. But five years is a long time for any one to show what the person is made of and I don't see anything from Carr at this point. He has regressed every year and after listening to his post game interviews I don't get the feeling that he wants to be here any more.

Normally speaking I don't get emotional like this but after watching these guys every Sunday and listening to their post game interviews makes me think really how much they really care about winning at this point.

You know at the beginning of the season and seasons prior to this year I used to support Carr very much and I always used to think that he doesn't have the supporting caste around him to do well. I also used to think he never had the proper coaching coming into the league so I always used to give him benefit of doubts. Now its been end of year 5 for the expansion team and I am still waiting to see some lights at the end of the tunnel and specifically from Carr. So far he hasn't shown me anything to get high on.

Datchapin, if I have disappointed you then I like to apologize in advance. Aside from being analytical, I am also very reasonable person and I have absolutely no problem accepting my mistake. Maybe I got carried away with my emotions. Just to let you know I do enjoy reading your thread as well as many other thread on this forum. This is what keep me going as far as football is concerned.

cunningham06
12-19-2006, 01:19 PM

you're correct and I am sorry to let you down in such a way but tell you the truth I am really down the last couple of weeks with the team and its performance. I was so down after first 5 - 10 minutes that I didn't even watch rest of the game. I acted like a kid and I should have known better.

I know we lack talent but more then winning and loosing I had really wanted to see some fire in these players, some passions, some heart. I know its not fair of me to judge Carr the way I did and I am sincerely sorry for it. But five years is a long time for any one to show what the person is made of and I don't see anything from Carr at this point. He has regressed every year and after listening to his post game interviews I don't get the feeling that he wants to be here any more.

Normally speaking I don't get emotional like this but after watching these guys every Sunday and listening to their post game interviews makes me think really how much they really care about winning at this point.

You know at the beginning of the season and seasons prior to this year I used to support Carr very much and I always used to think that he doesn't have the supporting caste around him to do well. I also used to think he never had the proper coaching coming into the league so I always used to give him benefit of doubts. Now its been end of year 5 for the expansion team and I am still waiting to see some lights at the end of the tunnel and specifically from Carr. So far he hasn't shown me anything to get high on.

Datchapin, if I have disappointed you then I like to apologize in advance. Aside from being analytical, I am also very reasonable person and I have absolutely no problem accepting my mistake. Maybe I got carried away with my emotions. Just to let you know I do enjoy reading your thread as well as many other thread on this forum. This is what keep me going as far as football is concerned.

If you're feeling down, what you've gotta do is support a winning team not quite as much as the Texans, but still a genuine interest. It helps ease the pain of being a Texans fan. I also like the Ravens and since they are doing so well it makes the Texans pain a bit more bareable.

cunningham06
12-19-2006, 03:26 PM
Well, we have one representative in the pro bowl, Andre Johnson! Al Wilson going again is complete ********, if it were London Fletcher I would understand, but Demeco deserved to go.

datchapin
12-19-2006, 08:28 PM
Well, we have one representative in the pro bowl, Andre Johnson! Al Wilson going again is complete ***********, if it were London Fletcher I would understand, but Demeco deserved to go.

I gotta agree it's disappointing that Demeco didn't get in, but he will. Al Wilson is a bigger name and more people watch him, but Demeco deserves it as much as anybody and should begin his appearances next yr. Hopefully alongside Mario, or should I say hopefully with Mario along side of him? lol. Either way we should have multiple pro-bowlers soon.

datchapin
12-19-2006, 08:51 PM
There's no need to apologize Grid. Though it does show alot of heart, I gotta respect that. Anybody can loose their cool, hell I know I have. Just not sure if there's any evidence online. Lol. Anyways I stick by my team and I try to put myself in their position. It's easier because I used to play myself, but then again it's harder because every person is different and I tend to put my own thoughts into it as well. However with Carr it's hard for everybody to identify with him as a leader because there are so few leaders like him. I've met one guy like him that gives me reason to keep my faith in Carr. Carr is a guy that never sells out, a guy that's humble but has his own fire. He's a guy that can compartemize his life. When he's on the field it's one thing, but once off it it's back to living your other life. I can't fully explain it, don't know if anybody would wanna hear either, but here's the point. Carr is a great leader, but his way is unique and not everybody identifies with it. I know he's a leader because I've come to believe in him, I've come to the point where it hurts that he's not succeeding. I've come to the point that when other player's don't come through for him I wanna cry because if I were in their shoes I would rather die (metaphorically speaking) than fail.

datchapin
12-21-2006, 05:51 PM
Well, we go into this Sunday to face the division leaders. While a victory looks really unlikely I do think we will have a much much better performance than last week. At least I hope so. After last week our team will hopefully want to prove to us as well as themselves that they can be competitive and maybe just maybe pull out a win. I know we've been decimated by injuries, but even our injured team is performing better than last yr's. team. This is still a good thing and we can build on that. I'll probably post more stuff before the game, but for sure a win would be a great Christmas present.

jayceheathman
12-22-2006, 12:26 AM
Well, we go into this Sunday to face the division leaders. While a victory looks really unlikely I do think we will have a much much better performance than last week. At least I hope so. After last week our team will hopefully want to prove to us as well as themselves that they can be competitive and maybe just maybe pull out a win. I know we've been decimated by injuries, but even our injured team is performing better than last yr's. team. This is still a good thing and we can build on that. I'll probably post more stuff before the game, but for sure a win would be a great Christmas present.

I'll be at that game!!!!!!!!!!! I cant wait because I have never been able to see a Texans game before.

King Rhabuf
12-22-2006, 12:51 AM
What are your guys thoughts on Dunta? Do you think he should be traded while he still has value? He was good his rookie year but has seemed to tail off a bit.

Grid
12-22-2006, 01:45 AM
What are your guys thoughts on Dunta? Do you think he should be traded while he still has value? He was good his rookie year but has seemed to tail off a bit.

During rookie season Dunta had Eric Glen to play along side him. With Glen he found a mentor and Glen took under his wing. Now Dunta doesn't have any body good enogh to play along side with him. His play is suffering due this. If the Texans address their secondary needs then his play will pick up. Having a solid front seven to put pressure on QB will also help. The last two season his play has regressed due to lack of support.

Dunta_23
12-22-2006, 10:47 AM

I dont think they would ever get fair value for him....considering where they drafted him....It would also not look good on the organization to be giving up on a bunch of first round picks....David Carr, there are rumours about Travis Johnson....plus nobody ever thought Jason Babin was worth his selection....and then with all the negativity surrounding Mario Williams....If im the GM I hang onto my cornerstone players....just look at D.Hall...last year he played really well and this year he hasnt...CB is a tough position

King Rhabuf
12-22-2006, 12:07 PM
What the hell happened to Travis Johnson? He was the #1 recruit out of high school not to long ago.

Also, who are you guys wanting in the draft? Seems like Thomas or Peterson would be good choices to me.

Shiver
12-22-2006, 01:47 PM
If the Texans trade David Carr after the season, they will be in the market for another quarterback. Matt Schaub will be a restricted free agent. If the Falcons tender him a contract offer at a certain level, it will require a first-round pick to sign him. It's doubtful the Texans would surrender a high No. 1 pick for Schaub.
-- Houston Chronicle

Interesting, I think Schaub would be perfect for Kubiak's offense. The problem is wokring out a deal, but it would really help the Texans next year. The Falcons believe Schaub is worht a first rounder, thus the point system seems to indicate our mid-first pick plus Schaub would be needed to trade up that high.

Grid
12-22-2006, 07:34 PM
If the Texans trade David Carr after the season, they will be in the market for another quarterback. Matt Schaub will be a restricted free agent. If the Falcons tender him a contract offer at a certain level, it will require a first-round pick to sign him. It's doubtful the Texans would surrender a high No. 1 pick for Schaub.
-- Houston Chronicle

Interesting, I think Schaub would be perfect for Kubiak's offense. The problem is wokring out a deal, but it would really help the Texans next year. The Falcons believe Schaub is worht a first rounder, thus the point system seems to indicate our mid-first pick plus Schaub would be needed to trade up that high.

Too expensive for my taste. Texans will have to surrender two first round pick for him. Not worth it.

Grid
12-22-2006, 07:35 PM
Texans just to give blank check to Nate Clements.

Dunta_23
12-22-2006, 08:21 PM
Whats with all the hype surrounding Schaub??? Its like he is the next coming of Dan Marino or something...im not saying he isnt or wont be in the future, but what is everyone basing his value on?

Shiver
12-23-2006, 01:02 AM
-- Houston Chronicle

Too expensive for my taste. Texans will have to surrender two first round pick for him. Not worth it.

I highly doubt that's Rick McKay's price. That's what he is saying publicly, but I doubt that is the true asking price. It's just bargaining.

iloxygenil
12-23-2006, 01:20 AM
I think Schaub could be had for a first round pick this year and maybe a pick based on how well / often he plays next season. Making it worth up to a first round pick but more likely a 3rd rounder.

cunningham06
12-23-2006, 01:26 AM
I think Schaub could be had for a first round pick this year and maybe a pick based on how well / often he plays next season. Making it worth up to a first round pick but more likely a 3rd rounder.

I don't want Schaub, I want someone mobile who can run the ball as well as pass the ball. Damnit I want VINCE!!

Dunta_23
12-23-2006, 08:59 AM

I don't want Schaub, I want someone mobile who can run the ball as well as pass the ball. Damnit I want VINCE!!

Become a Titans fan...and by the way...Vince doesnt throw very well

datchapin
12-23-2006, 05:58 PM
Why should we bring any QB in. We got a capable back-up in Sage that if everyone is so upset about DC could take over. Our resources would be better off bringing in other talent.

America
12-23-2006, 06:15 PM
I say bring in Jeff Garcia, and have him battle it out with Sage. Dayne could take the need out of a running back, although if we could get AP, we should get him. I'm glad Troy Calhoun is gone. We need new interior lineman and a 3rd WR. We need Nate Clements or Asante Samuel. Our safeties are not awful, we just don't have enough great players to make them look better. Dunta is our only above average back there and he's been shakey. Fix up the DTs.

Dunta_23
12-23-2006, 06:50 PM
I say bring in Jeff Garcia, and have him battle it out with Sage. Dayne could take the need out of a running back, although if we could get AP, we should get him. I'm glad Troy Calhoun is gone. We need new interior lineman and a 3rd WR. We need Nate Clements or Asante Samuel. Our safeties are not awful, we just don't have enough great players to make them look better. Dunta is our only above average back there and he's been shakey. Fix up the DTs.

I think most teams in the NFL could use Nate Clements or Asante Samuel...It wont be easy to get one of them in Houston... A new FS I think is necessary....Earl is ok at SS...I dont really think Calhoun had much impact on the offense....so I dont know if there will be much of a difference next year without him...Daybe could be good with a full offseason under his belt(healthwise) but if we get a chance at AP I think we need to pull the trigger...depending on what else is availble

cadahnic
12-24-2006, 08:29 AM
The simple truth is that DC should be back next year. I am not one that thinks he is done in Houston, he has next year to prove he is the guy or not. As far as the offseason goes we need to go pretty hard into FA. Houston will have alot of turnover, I am predicting close to 30 guys all told. Kris Dielman fits our system and was coached by Alex Gibbs. He will be a free agent this year and we need a RG allowing Weary to move to C or backup. Spencer and Winston are our T and they are quite solid. Spencer is down to 325 and moving around well right now as far as his rehab goes. We have to get a starter in the secondary in FA also. I would like Asante Samuel, but he will be difficult, but some FS will be out there also. I think both positions could be grabbed in the 2nd-5th honestly, but that could get interesting. I personally would love to have Daymeion Hughes get drafted in the second to play FS for us, and then Josh Wilson in the 3rd. Honestly we are a couple of solid pieces away from being a competitive team, but this offseason will be huge to see if we get to that point.

Ravens1991
12-24-2006, 03:36 PM
Thank you guys.

smittyjs
12-24-2006, 03:41 PM

Become a Titans fan...and by the way...Vince doesnt throw very wellLie

datchapin
12-24-2006, 05:43 PM
First of all I gotta say. The game today was great, I was totally pumped at how well we played. I gotta say this may have been our team's best performance this yr. Also it was just a great time at the stadium, they had a lot of fun with A.J. and Mould's on the big screen, anybody else see that where Mould's was like he's Andre's spokesman and then Andre holds up the thank you sign. That was pretty cool.

Football stuff, this game showed what Carr is capable of. Our entire team for that matter, but I'll focus on Carr because he's taken a lot of heat as of late. He hasn't been the biggest problem on our team, but as he's the QB he get's the most blame. Last week I started seeing clearer sign's of his abilities, but didn't say anything because the results were mired in defeat. However this week he once again stepped up. He's been steadily improving his game and this week the rest of the offense finally came together. The TD pass to Leach, the pass in the middle of the field to Johnson, multiple third down conversions. Don't tell me he didn't play a big role in the victory, because honestly I will then proceed to OWN your ass. We had a third and long that was totally crucial and they knew we had to pass and we still did it on them anyways. That was great. Also for the first time we saw the shotgun formation and Carr ran it. That was a great run. Carr has done alot of good things on the football field, but they're always overshadowed by the losses and team futility. Carr always takes unnecessary heat and this week he did good so I wanted to make sure he got some praise.

Merry Christmas.

Philliez01
12-24-2006, 07:39 PM
From a Colts fan, congratulations on the win today guys. You gameplanned great and was definitely the better team no matter what the outcome was. Well played and good luck

datchapin
12-24-2006, 07:56 PM
From a Colts fan, congratulations on the win today guys. You gameplanned great and was definitely the better team no matter what the outcome was. Well played and good luck

Thanks alot man. That really show's class. Good game.

cunningham06
12-24-2006, 08:48 PM
First of all I gotta say. The game today was great, I was totally pumped at how well we played. I gotta say this may have been our team's best performance this yr. Also it was just a great time at the stadium, they had a lot of fun with A.J. and Mould's on the big screen, anybody else see that where Mould's was like he's Andre's spokesman and then Andre holds up the thank you sign. That was pretty cool.

Football stuff, this game showed what Carr is capable of. Our entire team for that matter, but I'll focus on Carr because he's taken a lot of heat as of late. He hasn't been the biggest problem on our team, but as he's the QB he get's the most blame. Last week I started seeing clearer sign's of his abilities, but didn't say anything because the results were mired in defeat. However this week he once again stepped up. He's been steadily improving his game and this week the rest of the offense finally came together. The TD pass to Leach, the pass in the middle of the field to Johnson, multiple third down conversions. Don't tell me he didn't play a big role in the victory, because honestly I will then proceed to OWN your ass. We had a third and long that was totally crucial and they knew we had to pass and we still did it on them anyways. That was great. Also for the first time we saw the shotgun formation and Carr ran it. That was a great run. Carr has done alot of good things on the football field, but they're always overshadowed by the losses and team futility. Carr always takes unnecessary heat and this week he did good so I wanted to make sure he got some praise.

Merry Christmas.

Haha yea I saw that, that was hilarious. I went to the game today and I'm glad I did. I was out there tailgating at 9:30 in the freezing rain because that's what I do. Some things that I noticed:
-Our offensive line was run blocking quite well, and I think we can all agree that we should bring in a dependable legitimate running back. Nothing against Ron Dayne, but he's not the best. Although he has been playing very well this December.
-I noticed Eric Winston looked very good opening up holes for Dayne.
-Demeco had another good game, he made a very nice open field tackle in the flat and had a couple of nice pass breakups.
-Dunta did very well as he often does against the Colts, that deep ball deflection was very nice.
-Mario looked good, whenever I watched what he was doing, he was getting double teamed, if we can just get a star across from him at D end or a good DT next to him we could really have something.
-Carr did a very good job today, he spread the ball around very well.
-Leach looks great at fullback, he's got a nasty attitude on the field and is a great blocker.
-Dexter Wynn did a lot better than usual today returning kicks, and gave us some good field position multiple times.
-Kris Brown with the game winning 48 yard field goal was great, he can make the kicks when they really count.
-Our secondary needs to work on covering the deep ball a bit better, there were several instances where receivers were getting open downfield and would have had TD's had Peyton not overthrown them.
-Peek had a very nice tackle for a loss today.

That's just some stuff that I noticed, any thoughts?

filibuster
12-24-2006, 10:23 PM
niceee

12-25-2006, 06:05 AM
Great game guys. You guys outplayed us and earned that win. Good luck in the future and congrats on the win.

datchapin
12-26-2006, 09:05 PM
What the hell happened to Travis Johnson? He was the #1 recruit out of high school not to long ago.

Also, who are you guys wanting in the draft? Seems like Thomas or Peterson would be good choices to me.

PETERSON!!! OMG are you kidding me. We have a good running game going right now. Can you imagine Peterson in our system. It would be oh so sweet!! Hmm, well we play this weekend and your's is the only team that realistically would take him, hopefully this weekend we convince you guys that you need more help on defense and you guys take Branch.

datchapin
12-26-2006, 09:10 PM

Merry Christmas.

Haha yea I saw that, that was hilarious. I went to the game today and I'm glad I did. I was out there tailgating at 9:30 in the freezing rain because that's what I do. Some things that I noticed:
-Our offensive line was run blocking quite well, and I think we can all agree that we should bring in a dependable legitimate running back. Nothing against Ron Dayne, but he's not the best. Although he has been playing very well this December.
-I noticed Eric Winston looked very good opening up holes for Dayne.
-Demeco had another good game, he made a very nice open field tackle in the flat and had a couple of nice pass breakups.
-Dunta did very well as he often does against the Colts, that deep ball deflection was very nice.
-Mario looked good, whenever I watched what he was doing, he was getting double teamed, if we can just get a star across from him at D end or a good DT next to him we could really have something.
-Carr did a very good job today, he spread the ball around very well.
-Leach looks great at fullback, he's got a nasty attitude on the field and is a great blocker.
-Dexter Wynn did a lot better than usual today returning kicks, and gave us some good field position multiple times.
-Kris Brown with the game winning 48 yard field goal was great, he can make the kicks when they really count.
-Our secondary needs to work on covering the deep ball a bit better, there were several instances where receivers were getting open downfield and would have had TD's had Peyton not overthrown them.
-Peek had a very nice tackle for a loss today.

That's just some stuff that I noticed, any thoughts?

I agree with everything you said. Also I gotta add. Having McKinney in there at center I think really helped out alot. We actually did a shotgun and while I like Hogdon I think he is best served as back-up until we find somebody else to take over at center. I think Flannagan is also not as good as McKinney. This is after one game so we'll see what happens in Cleveland, but if we play the way we played the Colt's we should crush the Browns.

King Rhabuf
12-26-2006, 10:45 PM
Winston was going to be a top pick in the first round had he not had knee injuries. Great pick you guys made for him.

AD would be great for you guys but I kind of have a feeling that we will take him :|

King Rhabuf
12-30-2006, 09:01 PM
What do you guys think about taking Jamarcus? I know you guys could use Landry or Hall, but its hard to turn down a 6'6 QB with mobility and a cannon arm.

If you guys cut Carr, I can't be to excited about your quarterback situation.

datchapin
12-31-2006, 08:32 AM
What do you guys think about taking Jamarcus? I know you guys could use Landry or Hall, but its hard to turn down a 6'6 QB with mobility and a cannon arm.

We turned down Young so I would imagine Russel wouldn't go to us. Beside's there is no contraversy here while some fans may not be happy with Carr he's staying and he'll be our starter. Our back-up is really solid and should step in if anything happened to Carr. Next yr. we might.... and that's a big might consider a QB in the first day to groom, but that's too far away to think about right now. Also, the question would be what do you guys think of him. Frye has been hurt and before that was he really doing that well? I haven't watched any of the Browns games so this is an honest question. So to keep it short, (a little late now, huh?) No, we wouldn't take him.

datchapin
12-31-2006, 08:38 AM
Well, it's game day so LET'S GO TEXANS. Well, I thought I would preface the game with some thoughts I haven't been able to get around to it all week with everything going on. By the way, I bought the last authentic AJ jersey at the stadium this thursday. The Texas Bowl was pretty badass, makes me wish we could have noisemakers and whatnot at our games. :? Okay onto the game, the Brown's shouldn't be taken lightly, while their defense is near the bottom they do play a 3-4 and that's given us fits in the past. Crennel is still a good defensive mind and well, I'm sorry I'm just trying to give the Browns some respect, but I just feel we shouldn't count this as a win until later on today. With all that said GO TEXANS!!! CRUSH THE BROWNS.!!!!!!!! :D

King Rhabuf
12-31-2006, 02:02 PM

We turned down Young so I would imagine Russel wouldn't go to us. Beside's there is no contraversy here while some fans may not be happy with Carr he's staying and he'll be our starter. Our back-up is really solid and should step in if anything happened to Carr. Next yr. we might.... and that's a big might consider a QB in the first day to groom, but that's too far away to think about right now. Also, the question would be what do you guys think of him. Frye has been hurt and before that was he really doing that well? I haven't watched any of the Browns games so this is an honest question. So to keep it short, (a little late now, huh?) No, we wouldn't take him.

Well look how well passing up on on VY worked for you. Would you really want Carr for another year? It seems like hes had his time and needs to go elsewhere.

We wouldnt take JR, we would take troy if he fell to us in the second.

datchapin
12-31-2006, 07:54 PM
Hmm, I for one would like to see Carr come back. Don't get me wrong the guy still has a lot of room for improvement, but I don't think he should go. As for Vince playing here I think we made the right choice, we haven't run the shotgun much and I don't think our coach would have customized it to take full advantage of VY. When all our player's are doing well Carr will do well. However even you saw today that all our guys make mistakes and Carr can't win the game without their help. AJ fell on a comeback route and had a offensive pass interference that negated what would have been a first down conversion on a third down. I'm not gonna go down the list of every thing right now, suffice to say that thing's like this happen every game and they are just compounded when Carr doesn't make the best decisions. However I think ironing everything out Carr can still be a very good QB for us.

Speaking of the draft I notice you really do alot of mock draft stuff. Let me ask you something. The Raider's have the first pick and alot of ppl think they would take CJ, however they've given up 72 sacks. What do you think of them taking Joe Thomas wouldn't that be their best option. I haven't really watched them this season, but Robert Gallery doesn't seem to be the answer there and even though Mr. Davis is very unpredictable. I can't help but think that JT should get some consideration to go first overall to them.

Having said that and if they did do that what do you think you guys would do if both AP and CJ were there for your pick. Would you pass on CJ? I know you won't make the actual decisions, but I'm curious.

comahan
01-02-2007, 10:45 AM
Keeping the thread alive.

primetime0506
01-02-2007, 04:51 PM
landry is comin to the texans

datchapin
01-02-2007, 08:33 PM
Alright since the season is now over. I think it's a good a time as any to start talking about what our team should or shouldn't do during the off-season. I read in the chronicle today that Kubiak want's more pressure on the QB so I guess we could start with that. Traditionally the DE's are the ones that rack up #'s here so let's see what we have. Babin, Weaver, and Mario all all signed through next season. So they are all keepers. However none of them were really getting to the QB. Even though they were all rotating Babin lead's the team with only 5 sacks. That's not a good sign. So thoughts on them?

Okay, we got the guys we're keeping in this unit, now check out our FA's. Peek and Kalu are both UFA's. Question, who do we bring back. Peek was hurt for 5 week's so I feel kinda bad about it cuz I like the guy. However looking at his limited body of work I just don't see him coming back. He had more success as a 3-4 LB and we may let him go just so he can prosper somewhere else. I'm just guessing here, I would love to have him back as I think he's a high motor guy and could be a situational rusher. Kalu is another guy I like sentimentally. Great leader and brings veteran leadership that we really need. He's versatile playing DT and DE and considerably cheap. Question I have is are there any other FA's that would be upgrades at the same price. I think that would be the saving grace for one of them if we couldn't find better options. Me, I don't wanna see either of these guys go, but it is what it is. What do you guys think who will be back?

Other possibilities are trades, but right now I haven't thought up of any scenario's where we could benefit. Babin would be the biggest trade bait if we could unload him, but he's also been really productive for us. Looking at all these scenarios I'm just glad I'm not the one making the decisions.

Alright, with all that being said let's let the debates and whathave you begin.

America
01-02-2007, 08:47 PM
ND should be brought back. I like Peek, but I don't see him returning. Maddux hopefully will start next year. We should upgrade FS, move CC to SS. I like Reggie Nelson. Maybe another DT. On O, we need to get a young G, a third WR, and certainty in the quartback position. Mario should double his sack total next year. Hopefully no lingering injury and he's experienced now. Vet FA DEs I can think of are Justin Smith off the top of my head. Check here.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/nfl/freeagents.html

Cory Redding is a Anthony Weaver kind of player, a little quicker. Freeney isn't a guy we could get, but if we did, that'd be insane, although I don't like him.

datchapin
01-02-2007, 09:53 PM
Charles Grant was scheduled to be a FA. I don't know if he was extended.

datchapin
01-02-2007, 09:58 PM
At DT Terdel Sands looked good and Holliday is a proven talent. However Holliday is getting older and Sands has been inconsistent at times. I don't know if Sands is because of his situational duties that he can't catch a rhythm, but he has played dominant at times. There's another DT that I liked as well, but can't remember right now. The thing I wonder is who out there represent's definite upgrades. What would everybody think of moving Weaver to the middle for more snaps. I like that he's a hybrid, but maybe it would optimize our talent.

America
01-02-2007, 10:13 PM
At DT Terdel Sands looked good and Holliday is a proven talent. However Holliday is getting older and Sands has been inconsistent at times. I don't know if Sands is because of his situational duties that he can't catch a rhythm, but he has played dominant at times. There's another DT that I liked as well, but can't remember right now. The thing I wonder is who out there represent's definite upgrades. What would everybody think of moving Weaver to the middle for more snaps. I like that he's a hybrid, but maybe it would optimize our talent.

I'd love Weaver at DT, he can bring explosiveness from there. The Raiders are trying to resign Sands. Our line was too slow this year, no speed really coming off the edge except for Mario at times. Maybe Babin can step up, or maybe we draft Gaines Adams(we'll probably need a trade up). I wonder if London Fletcher could play OLB.

Here's my desired D next year.

DE - Babin
DT - Weaver
DT - Maddux
DE - Williams
OLB - Greenwood
MLB - Ryans
OLB - Diggs(CAR)/Orr
CB - Clements(BUF)
FS - Nelson
SS - Brown/Earl
CB - Robinson

cunningham06
01-02-2007, 10:24 PM

Terdel Sands is huge and really strong, however he lacks the skill and consistency to be great I think. If we brought him in I don't know if he would be much more than a space-eater in the middle for us. Vonnie Holliday would be an excellent addition for us if we are able to get him. A proven veteran who is good against the pass and the run? I've been very pleased with Maddox's play, but Thomas Johnson looks sluggish and unaware out there. For that matter both Johnson's aren't anything special, and there are several ways we could fix the defensive line. We could move Weaver inside to play full time DT, and could go after another penetrator at DE in the draft, such as Gaines Adams. We could of course draft Branch to plug in at DT, but I think this way might help the pass rush out more. If we were to draft Gaines Adams, then we could keep our DE's constantly fresh, and keep the pressure on. It's basically the same thing the Eagles were doing at the beginning of the season, a starting caliber DE at backup can wreak havoc on an offensive line. So that's just something to think about.

America
01-02-2007, 10:26 PM

Terdel Sands is huge and really strong, however he lacks the skill and consistency to be great I think. If we brought him in I don't know if he would be much more than a space-eater in the middle for us. Vonnie Holliday would be an excellent addition for us if we are able to get him. A proven veteran who is good against the pass and the run? I've been very pleased with Maddox's play, but Thomas Johnson looks sluggish and unaware out there. For that matter both Johnson's aren't anything special, and there are several ways we could fix the defensive line. We could move Weaver inside to play full time DT, and could go after another penetrator at DE in the draft, such as Gaines Adams. We could of course draft Branch to plug in at DT, but I think this way might help the pass rush out more. If we were to draft Gaines Adams, then we could keep our DE's constantly fresh, and keep the pressure on. It's basically the same thing the Eagles were doing at the beginning of the season, a starting caliber DE at backup can wreak havoc on an offensive line. So that's just something to think about.

Only problem is Adams is pretty much a lock at the top 5, maybe even 3.

cunningham06
01-02-2007, 10:58 PM

I don't see him going top 3 the teams picking there have bigger needs than DE. Bucs picking him makes a lot of sense, but we'll see. The combine hasn't happened yet and chances are that teams won't be wowed by Gaines's strength. He is decently strong but needs to get stronger, that and his arms are ridiculously long. If he has a mediocre combine showing I wouldn't be surprised if he is available at 8. If not we could go after Quintin Moses or just take Alan Branch. One reason that I like Gaines is that if his hands are really strong and if he gets a handful of jersey whoever it is is probably going to go down. Our defense has huge problems with tackling, and he could help.

America
01-02-2007, 11:03 PM

I don't see him going top 3 the teams picking there have bigger needs than DE. Bucs picking him makes a lot of sense, but we'll see. The combine hasn't happened yet and chances are that teams won't be wowed by Gaines's strength. He is decently strong but needs to get stronger, that and his arms are ridiculously long. If he has a mediocre combine showing I wouldn't be surprised if he is available at 8. If not we could go after Quintin Moses or just take Alan Branch. One reason that I like Gaines is that if his hands are really strong and if he gets a handful of jersey whoever it is is probably going to go down. Our defense has huge problems with tackling, and he could help.

Word, Word. Moses would be a bad pick at 8. He hasn't been very good and probably could only play in a 3-4. He's kind of like Bryan Thomas on the Jets. Branch would be solid, but he might be gone, and even if he isn't, I don't like him that much. There's a boatload of talent at scUM, and it's hard to tell if he's being helped by being surrounded by all the good players. And he's not much of a playmaker, which we need more of.

Grid
01-03-2007, 04:21 AM
Texans fear Spencer is gone for good
Unique knee injury jeopardizes tackle's career

[Texans rookie Charles Spencer has a metal plate and about eight screws in his knee. The fracture that ended his season after just two starts has healed.

That doesn't mean the Texans will have their starting left offensive tackle back any time soon, though. In fact, what appeared to be a bright NFL future for Spencer is now in question because of cartilage around his knee that was damaged as a result of the injury.

"It's certainly an injury that threatens a guy's career, especially a guy like Spencer," said Dr. Walter Lowe, the team physician who performed Spencer's surgery Sept. 18.]

Link: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4440416.html

Seems like we need to find another LT this off season either through free agency or draft to replace Spencer next year. It doesn't look good right now.

D-Rod
01-03-2007, 01:51 PM
That's a real shame for Spencer and the Texans.

What are the prospects of Winston being able to start at LT? If not, Levi Brown might be an option, if he has a very good combine. There are very few decent tackles ever available in FA...

Excluding the O-line, I think a great option at #8, if available, would be Branch. Putting him next to Mario would be crazy in a year or so. That kind of dominance up front can hide a lot of secondary inconsistencies, which are easier to fix later in the draft.

Grid
01-03-2007, 02:01 PM
Levi Brown is RT and Winston is still inconsistent as a RT. Either way we need to get LT this year either in FA or draft.

datchapin
01-03-2007, 05:25 PM
I read that as well, but from what I read it said the initial injury is completely healed. It'll take a month before they can know how his cartilidge is doing, but that will be well before the draft and even then I wouldn't move that to first round priority. I guess I'll break down a sort of big board about who we should go after in the draft. The first rd. Shouldn't be to hard and the second and third rds. I think I can do as well.

datchapin
01-03-2007, 05:31 PM
I'm not too high on Branch. Matter of fact I don't really like him at all. He doesn't dominate at the point of attack and his sophmore counterpart Taylor, I think, has a much bigger impact. Branch should not be even considered for the Texan's. I wouldn't even consider a D-linemen in the first rd. unless we moved down and got multiple picks. At which point we would get someone else in addition to considering a Quentin Moses or Amobe Okoye, who by the way I think is a real stud. The guy's so young and has so much potential I wouldn't be surprised if he supplanted Branch as the top DT. All that being said I don't think we should go d-line in the first day. We may have some holes, but I think we have alot of other areas of concern before we address the d-line again in the draft. I would rather look for FA DT's than draft one. At least not this yr.

datchapin
01-03-2007, 05:45 PM
One of the things I see that has been a major problem for our defense is our secondary. The reason our guys aren't getting to the QB consistently is that receiver's are getting open too quickly. It's been too many times this yr. where our defense blows by the o-line, but are still too late because somebody got open. Yes, our d-line doesn't always apply much pressure, but that can be chalked up to injuries as well. Weaver and Mario have played through injuries and Peek was out 5 weeks. I think Babin missed some time as well, but right now I can't remember. However with them all healthy as well as our DT's I think our pass rush will improve. I look at our secondary and to be honest our CB's aren't half bad, they'll give up the occasional big play, but it's at safety that we always get burned. Okay, maybe not always, but a majority of the time. Neither of our safeties really has much of a nose for the ball. While they are good at hitting and run support they need to be at the location of the play as the ball is getting there. A true ballhawking FS would do wonders for our defense.

On offense our guys are starting to finally click. What do I see missing here. A true RB, now I'm not saying that this is the biggest need, but this is our biggest need on offense. (depending on how Spencer goes.) Dayne doesn't have breakaway speed, not even close to it so he'll never take it the distance even if he does get to the secondary. Lundy is our most balanced back, but he doesn't have good vision every time. Taylor may be our best runner, but I haven't seen him enough to say he's our answer. DW, still can't believe he changed his name, may never come back. Our RB situation is the biggest question mark 2 me. The one time Dayne went over 100 yds. he needed a ton of carries against the worst run D in the league, I don't know how much weight to put on that.

The way I see it is these are our two biggest needs, hence they should be the ones we tackle in the 1st rd. of the draft. Obviously we can only take one so I'll do a little review of how I think our pick should be run down.

cunningham06
01-03-2007, 06:28 PM
One of the things I see that has been a major problem for our defense is our secondary. The reason our guys aren't getting to the QB consistently is that receiver's are getting open too quickly. It's been too many times this yr. where our defense blows by the o-line, but are still too late because somebody got open. Yes, our d-line doesn't always apply much pressure, but that can be chalked up to injuries as well. Weaver and Mario have played through injuries and Peek was out 5 weeks. I think Babin missed some time as well, but right now I can't remember. However with them all healthy as well as our DT's I think our pass rush will improve. I look at our secondary and to be honest our CB's aren't half bad, they'll give up the occasional big play, but it's at safety that we always get burned. Okay, maybe not always, but a majority of the time. Neither of our safeties really has much of a nose for the ball. While they are good at hitting and run support they need to be at the location of the play as the ball is getting there. A true ballhawking FS would do wonders for our defense.

On offense our guys are starting to finally click. What do I see missing here. A true RB, now I'm not saying that this is the biggest need, but this is our biggest need on offense. (depending on how Spencer goes.) Dayne doesn't have breakaway speed, not even close to it so he'll never take it the distance even if he does get to the secondary. Lundy is our most balanced back, but he doesn't have good vision every time. Taylor may be our best runner, but I haven't seen him enough to say he's our answer. DW, still can't believe he changed his name, may never come back. Our RB situation is the biggest question mark 2 me. The one time Dayne went over 100 yds. he needed a ton of carries against the worst run D in the league, I don't know how much weight to put on that.

The way I see it is these are our two biggest needs, hence they should be the ones we tackle in the 1st rd. of the draft. Obviously we can only take one so I'll do a little review of how I think our pick should be run down.

Agreed. We do need to retool the secondary. At safety we need some help but I feel that cornerback should also be addressed.

Also for RB we'll see where Dom Williams is in a few months and whether he will be ready to play to see if we need a RB or not.

Demeco is DROY! Congrats to all the Texans fans including myself who called it in preseason!

datchapin
01-03-2007, 06:43 PM
Okay, now I believe in taking the BPA while at the same time filling a need. So I look at this draft and think to myself first rd. Who is the best talent and fills the needs. I decided to compile a short list of people we could take at our position that would give fair value while also addressing our need.

1. Adrian Peterson- The guy is a big time talent. However he may be there for us due to his injury history and his less than stellar performance at the Fiesta Bowl. He was not the best running back that game. However he is supposed to be the best pure RB to come out in a long time and he was just coming back from injury. So who know's, with that being said he fill's a need and there's the bonus that he's from Houston so if he's there I just think it would be a mistake to pass him over. (Though I really want this guy sentimentally the analitical football side of my mind hope's he's gone by the time our pick rolls around.)

2. Reggie Nelson- Some people have compared this guy to Ed Reed and I am not gonna correct them. This guy is a phenomenal talent. Ball hawk extraordinair. He can play CB as well, but has only started at FS for 2 season's I think. Having said that this guy still hasn't reached his ceiling and can still put on a few lbs. He could still decide not to come out, but with the recent passing of his mother he may want to shoulder responsibility of taking care of his family and come out. Of course nobody other than him know's how this recent event will effect his decision, but hopefully he decides to come out. The guy has an aggressive demeanor that would really fire up our defense. This guy would help our team the most and provide us with the best option here. Of course this is JMO.

3. Laron Landry- Not enough can be said about Landry. The guy is a leader in the defense and his football smarts are through the roof. Guy bring's solid consistency to any secondary he goes to. The thing about him is that nobody really tests him so he never get's that many opportunities to make plays. However on the next level all bet's are off as nobody in the NFL will shy away from a rookie and he will get plenty of opportunities to show he's a play maker. It's also a big plus that the guy can lay the lumber on anybody that comes into his vicinity. The question is how high is his ceiling, can he get any better. This is the big question between Landry and Nelson, while I believe that Landry is almost as good as he can get if I'm wrong the guy could be the next great safety to come out. If AP and Nelson are both gone. Which could happen because Arizona could use help in the secondary than Landry is the guy we should pick up.

4. Marshawn Lynch- If all three guys I listed above are gone, which is very unlikely, but you never know. Then this guy is our next best option, behind him the talent at RB drops off and he still gives adequate value at this pick. He might be a better fit on our team because of his great vision. He is quick and can make people miss in small spaces as well as run with power. He's not as fast as Peterson, but he is a better receiver and quicker. In addition to that the guy bring's a cockiness that our offense sorely needs. We need another playmaker on offense and this guy can be that guy.

Yes, it's true that I didn't go to in depth with these guys and pull up their stats or whathaveyou, but we do got until the draft so I don't feel the need to cram everything into this post. However this is the first rd. mini big-board for us right now. The way I see it.

datchapin
01-03-2007, 06:48 PM

Agreed. We do need to retool the secondary. At safety we need some help but I feel that cornerback should also be addressed.

Also for RB we'll see where Dom Williams is in a few months and whether he will be ready to play to see if we need a RB or not.

Demeco is DROY! Congrats to all the Texans fans including myself who called it in preseason!

CB I agree, an upgrade would be nice, but I would like us to pursue Samuels or Clements this off-season. If we can't get them I just can't see us going CB with our first pick. Hall has been burned (Maybe that's a little harsh, but you know what I mean.) when I watch him. Which is against USC and Texas. So until Cason and Revis declare I don't think I'd put CB into first rd. consideration.

cunningham06
01-03-2007, 07:01 PM

CB I agree, an upgrade would be nice, but I would like us to pursue Samuels or Clements this off-season. If we can't get them I just can't see us going CB with our first pick. Hall has been burned (Maybe that's a little harsh, but you know what I mean.) when I watch him. Which is against USC and Texas. So until Cason and Revis declare I don't think I'd put CB into first rd. consideration.

Leon Hall did not look very good in the game against USC, he got burned and didn't have the speed to recover and make the tackle which was worrisome. You assembled a good draft board, but the 2 RB's suggests you don't think Dom Williams is going to be effective when he returns? BTW I hate the name change it just sounds generic and lame.

gunn
01-04-2007, 09:21 AM
......and there's the bonus that he's from Houston.....

Peterson is not from Houston. He's from Palestine, which is closer to Dallas than it is Houston.

datchapin
01-04-2007, 04:05 PM
Oh, umm, there's the bonus that he's from Texas. :P

datchapin
01-04-2007, 04:10 PM

Leon Hall did not look very good in the game against USC, he got burned and didn't have the speed to recover and make the tackle which was worrisome. You assembled a good draft board, but the 2 RB's suggests you don't think Dom Williams is going to be effective when he returns? BTW I hate the name change it just sounds generic and lame.

It's not that I don't want him to come back. It's just that the guy has been plagued by injuries throughout his whole career. Even if by some miracle he did come back I don't think he'll make it through the whole season and I don't wanna go through the letdown of last season at RB. It would be best to pick up a RB and make it a strentgh if he did come back. If he didn't come back and we picked up a 1st rd. RB it would still solidify our position.

I agree with the assessment of Hall. I think if Cason or Revis came out they might be worth the pick, but neither of those guys are as polished yet. If we did take a CB I would rather do it in the second rd. where we would get better value.

mpt117
01-04-2007, 04:17 PM
wow congrats on demeco winnin droy, i knew he was good and was gonna be good when he started to pile on the tackles...one note is that mel kiper had him as a top 10 pick before the combine but fell till the 2nd round for ya nice job

bofadabizzles
01-04-2007, 11:57 PM
Jackpot !!!!!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/aditi_kinkhabwala/01/03/rocket.scientist/index.html?cnn=yes

datchapin
01-07-2007, 11:04 AM
Anybody listen to 610 AM? I usually listen to it once in a while, this Friday however I was listening to it and Rich was on there by himself. I never really pay attention, but I came to the realization that Rich is an asshole. Not only that but he does a disservice to our fan base with all the garbage he spews. Everyone was trashing David Carr and you know, he didn't bother to correct anybody or be logical. This is where everything went down hill though. He began talking about how QB's trascend things and this is what he used as an example. VY made my wife and daughter pay attention to the Longhorns. Which I thought was total BS what the hell does that have to do with trascending anything? If they weren't really paying attention before then what kind of fans were they really? I mean I just didn't see the connection there and he was all proud of that. Whatever so they keep trashing Carr and I think our fan base is pretty clueless so I decide to call up and give my opinion. I finally get on and start making my points. AJ lead's the AFC in dropped passes, we've never had a long tenured OC we etc. etc. He respond's by saying look I know all that, but it doesn't matter and proceeded to in his way say Carr still suck's and should be run out of town. Then cut me off, which really pissed me off, because I was about to go off on his hero. Now don't get me wrong I didn't get pissed about his opinion. I got mad because of the way he treated mine. He's basically feeding the hate for Carr our fan base is uneducated about football as it is and this dingleberry is not helping anything. He only allows what he want's to hear out to the public and downplays opposing views. I dunno, I guess I just needed to vent, I've been holding that in since Friday and I just needed to air that out. F**** Rich Lord!

America
01-07-2007, 03:25 PM
What would yall think of Reggie Nelson?

datchapin
01-07-2007, 07:50 PM
He's # 2 on my big board, but would really be great for us if he's still there.

gunn
01-08-2007, 04:34 PM
Whatever so they keep trashing Carr and I think our fan base is pretty clueless so I decide to call up and give my opinion. I finally get on and start making my points. AJ lead's the AFC in dropped passes, we've never had a long tenured OC we etc. etc. He respond's by saying look I know all that, but it doesn't matter and proceeded to in his way say Carr still suck's and should be run out of town. Then cut me off, which really pissed me off, because I was about to go off on his hero. Now don't get me wrong I didn't get pissed about his opinion. I got mad because of the way he treated mine. He's basically feeding the hate for Carr our fan base is uneducated about football as it is and this dingleberry is not helping anything. He only allows what he want's to hear out to the public and downplays opposing views. I dunno, I guess I just needed to vent, I've been holding that in since Friday and I just needed to air that out. F**** Rich Lord!

Carr blows. The Carr era will likely (and hopefully) come to an end. Five years and nothing to show. You can come up with any excuse you want (and some may acutally be legitimate) but at some point in time a player (especially a player such as David with the #1 overall pick status and salary considerations attached to his resume) has to step up and make plays. And that is something Carr has done very little of in his time here and certainly not on a consistant enough level.

Look, David is a good guy and all, but he two sides are at a point where they would likely both benefit from a clean break. When you have key players such as Dunta and AJ calling out “the qb play” through various media outlets there is no way the organization can trot Carr out as the starting quarterback next season and expect the team and the fans to take management seriously. Certainly not after absolutely horrid draft and free agent decisions by past the past regime as well as the top of the draft debacle that took place this past season. The organization, at the risk of losing even more fan rooting interest, can ill afford keeping that losing stigma that, like it or not, is attached to David Carr as the face of the franchise. They are already on thin ice after passing on both hometown legend Vince Young and Reggie Bush and taking someone most had never heard of. They cannot make one false step. Add to that the fact that Kubiak all but completely took the ball out of Carr’s hands from the Oakland game on because his play was doing more to hurt the team than help; and that makes for a combination of actions/events that does not sit well with fans.

David Carr will not be back with this organization next season. The best they can hope for is to get a 4th round pick for him, but everything that I’ve heard people in the know saying is that the best he will fetch right now is a 5th rounder.

gunn
01-08-2007, 05:01 PM

I'm not a big fan of taking safties that high. Definitely not in a safety rich draft such as this one. I really think the organization is going to make a run at Nate Clements in free agency. And there may be reason to believe they have a really good chance at landing him, as from what I hear (according to Pallilo), he is building a house in The Woodlands. That would definitely help shore up the secondary as you could then slide Petey to the nickel.

As for the #8, they have so many needs that if they can slide back get another second and still get a Lynch, or a Anderson or Brown in round one and then have two picks round two for which to aquire a safety if need be, then I got to think that’s a better route to go than a possible slight reach for Nelson.

gunn
01-09-2007, 04:05 PM
bump

Grid
01-09-2007, 05:17 PM

I'm not a big fan of taking safties that high. Definitely not in a safety rich draft such as this one. I really think the organization is going to make a run at Nate Clements in free agency. And there may be reason to believe they have a really good chance at landing him, as from what I hear (according to Pallilo), he is building a house in The Woodlands. That would definitely help shore up the secondary as you could then slide Petey to the nickel.

As for the #8, they have so many needs that if they can slide back get another second and still get a Lynch, or a Anderson or Brown in round one and then have two picks round two for which to aquire a safety if need be, then I got to think that’s a better route to go than a possible slight reach for Nelson.

Right, Nate Clements is key to this off season. If we are able to acquire him then it will open things up to many things which we might do this off season and draft. Finding stud CB is about as difficult as finding franchise LT in FA and yes he won't come cheap.

gunn
01-09-2007, 07:09 PM
Right, Nate Clements is key to this off season. If we are able to acquire him then it will open things up to many things which we might do this off season and draft. Finding stud CB is about as difficult as finding franchise LT in FA and yes he won't come cheap.

I fully expect him to fleece the organization out of more money than he likely deserves, but that's the price they'll have to pay if they want to attract players such as Clements to a bottom dweller team.

datchapin
01-10-2007, 07:12 PM
Gunn on your first argument I'm not gonna quote it, but I will say this. AJ calling out David is ironic when he led the AFC in dropped balls, ranked where he did in YAC and had the ball thrown his way more than almost any other receiver in the league. We can all assume that Dunta called out DC, but that is just speculation as the very next day Dunta said he didn't call him out. I'm sorry to say, but you sound just like what the media wants you to sound like. Even though there are legitimate reasons for Carr's performance he still blow's. Carr has stepped up and made plays unfortunately when he did his team fell short on capitalizing. I'm not gonna rehash the whole argument here so take it for what it's worth. Be it that is sit's well or not with fans. The point I was getting at is that the media fails in creating a well informed fanbase, perhaps if they called it like it was we would all have a better understanding of the situation instead of repeating what is spoonfed to us by ill informed media.

You say DC won't be back, but you're wrong he will be back. Take that for what it's worth. It's funny that all the media feed this erroneous speculation, but at least it will be interesting when the next season starts.

datchapin
01-10-2007, 07:14 PM
Nelson is the only safety that warrants a top ten pick in this draft and would not be a reach if we took him. However depending on who else is available he might not be the best option for us. However the guy would provide a great deal of help for the team if we did take him.

Shiver
01-11-2007, 12:37 PM
Nelson is the only safety that warrants a top ten pick in this draft and would not be a reach if we took him. However depending on who else is available he might not be the best option for us. However the guy would provide a great deal of help for the team if we did take him.

In my opinion; any Safety not named Sean Taylor, or someone who is like him at 6'2" 230-lbs and 4.4, doesn't deserve a top ten pick. The best three safeties in the league went from late 1st to early 3rd range. Anyway...

Are you people buying the Plummer starting for the Texans in '07 rumour? Because I don't.

Grid
01-11-2007, 07:53 PM
Plummer is not up grade over David Carr. They are both too identical to each other by all means. I like to see Texans draft some one in letter rounds and groom them.

datchapin
01-11-2007, 08:23 PM

In my opinion; any Safety not named Sean Taylor, or someone who is like him at 6'2" 230-lbs and 4.4, doesn't deserve a top ten pick. The best three safeties in the league went from late 1st to early 3rd range. Anyway...

Are you people buying the Plummer starting for the Texans in '07 rumour? Because I don't.

Hmm, I guess I can agree with that. However Sean is a SS and while a physical specimen is not the most gifted ball hawk. A trait that Nelson has shown. Now while I can agree that Nelson is not an elite talent, in this draft he is one of the top defensive prospects and top secondary prospect. Considering how many teams including the Falcons may want help in the secondary I cannot say that in this draft he won't go lower than 10. JMO.

As to the rumor, I'm not buying either.

SOUP
01-13-2007, 03:40 PM
David Carr has had a new type of surgery which he had his balls removed

primetime0506
01-14-2007, 06:28 PM
i think peterson could fall to us but i think also gaines adams or branch but i hope we dont make a mistake like last year again

SimonRath
01-16-2007, 06:23 PM
I starting to think that Houston wont draft Adrian Peterson if he is there.. They got the Coordinator from Denver who doesn't draft high RB.. I think they would rather draft a RB in the later rounds

Scott Wright
01-16-2007, 11:36 PM
BUMP

Let's talk about those Texans!

Dunta_23
01-17-2007, 12:13 AM
This theory of not drafting a RB high is not really true, last year Kubiak tried to trade back into round 1 and draft Deangelo Williams...ALSO, when in Denver, when was the last time they had a high draft pick to possibly take a premier RB ???

datchapin
01-17-2007, 01:40 PM
Okay, now that the list of underclassmen have declared I think it's a good a time as any to begin revising our own little Bigboards. I have had a hard time deciding on who would best fit our team and am thankful we are at # 8 because at least one of those guys will be off the boards by the time we pick so we don't have to worry much about them.

1. Peterson- Oh yeah, I still want him here. The guys personality really seems to fit here as we always look closely at character. Oh, plus the guy can kinda you know dominate when healthy. J/K. Really there isn't much I can say that hasn't already been mentioned.

2. J. Anderson- Our FO has stated help in the pass rush is something they want to help in the off-season. This guy provides a good value at our spot, but also consider the boost our D-line would receive from having him there. Teams wouldn't be able to double Mario, (who by the way will be coming back healthy next yr.) with Anderson on the other side. I mean our Edges would be awesome, because Anderson can also play the run real well.

3. R. Nelson- I like this guy and think he's more solid as a prospect than Landry. Oh I would love to have him, but the value may not be here for us. However always a viable option.

4. Marshawn Lynch- I like this guy as he is shiftier than Peterson and can work in congested spaces. However I don't know how his character would fit on our team. I would like him, I think the cockiness he brings is something our team lacks.

5. Amobi Okoye- I had to mention him, the guy I think could be the next Tommie Harris and I wouldn't be against him coming to Houston, however with all the other options we may have here it's unlikely we'll take a chance on him. This guy would also help with the pass rush and run support in the middle.

Those are my five guys I would like on the Texans. They are in no particular order of desire as I may change my mind on what we need more or would benefit us more. However these guys would have the best impact and fit on our team. Thoughts?

datchapin
01-17-2007, 01:50 PM
Oh, it's being reported that Sherman has been named the Texans OC. I think that's a relief, at least he'll be back for another season. It's kind of crazy, because your really can't know how long he'll be here. Hopefully we can keep here for a long stretch though.

gunn
01-17-2007, 02:05 PM
Offseason is his season
Rick Smith has been in the background as Texans GM, but that will soon change

By JOHN McCLAIN
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

For the first time since their inception, the Texans have entered an offseason without Charley Casserly as their general manager.

Rick Smith, hired in early June to replace Casserly, has moved front and center after taking a low profile during the season.

It's Smith's job to oversee the draft and free agency and, along with coach Gary Kubiak, to make decisions that will help the Texans improve on their 6-10 record.

"I'm excited about us improving as an organization," Smith said. "We showed improvement in a lot of areas, but obviously, we've got a lot of work to do.

"We had a terrific draft class that's a strong foundation for where we're going. I think we can improve on that strong foundation in free agency and our next draft. We're going to make good decisions and keep getting better."

Smith, who was Denver's pro personnel director and assistant general manager, distinguished himself by bringing in free agents who helped the Texans improve by four games in Kubiak's first season.

Players Smith signed before and during training camp and during the regular season contributed on both sides of the ball and on special teams.

Draft draws closer
Now Smith is in charge of college scouting as well. He hired Chris Olsen, the manager of labor relations for the NFL Management Council, as the director of administration. Olsen, who also worked in personnel for the Management Council, is a salary-cap expert.

"From a pro scouting perspective, we were able to put a process in place, and I feel good about it," Smith said. "That allowed us to find good players that fit what the coaches wanted.

"It wasn't me sitting in the back of a dark room with this great eye for talent or a magic potion. It's guys like Bobby Grier (associate director of pro scouting), Miller McCalmon (associate director of pro scouting) and Rob Kisiel (pro scout).

"Now we're moving forward with the college process. We've worked extremely hard with (director of college scouting) Dale Strahm and his staff. The process will allow us to make good decisions more often than bad ones."

Part of Smith's job is to see an evaluation of just about everyone and everything in the organization, including quarterback David Carr. Whether to keep Carr or trade him is the Texans' biggest decision this offseason.

"Our evaluation process doesn't start and end with David Carr," Smith said. "We're looking at every facet of the organization — players, coaches, personnel, staff, schemes, injuries, rehabilitation. Everything.

"We have to take a critical look at every part of our organization."

Boss is on his side
Texans owner Bob McNair has been happy with what Smith has done since he was hired June 5.

"Rick's a team player," McNair said. "He has his ego under control. He's very organized. He has a plan, and he's going to implement that plan."

One reason McNair hired Smith is because he works so well with Kubiak. They spent 10 years together with the Broncos.

"Rick knows what Gary wants," McNair said. "Gary knows how Rick operates. They work very well together.

"They're very honest and open. If they change their mind on something, they admit it. We need to be open-minded and not so set in our ways."

Kubiak worked well with Casserly, one reason the Texans' draft was recognized as one of the league's best, according to NFL people.

A comfort zone
"Rick knows exactly what I'm looking for when it comes to players and schemes," Kubiak said. "That helps so much because Rick doesn't have to wait for me to come off the practice field to talk to me about a player.

"Rick would sign the player and say, 'I signed this guy, and he'll be here tomorrow. I think he can help us.' Then he'd explain why he thought the player would help us. That's a very positive thing for a coach.

"Rick and the scouting department busted their tails this season. When we had all those injuries, they found some diamonds in the rough for us."

Now the pressure is on for Smith and Kubiak to sign the right free agents and draft the right players.

"You have to trust the people who work for you, and we've got good people here," Smith said. "During the season, I worked a lot closer with our pro scouts because we had to manage the roster as the season progressed.

"While I was doing that, Dale Strahm and his college scouts were busy working and evaluating college prospects.

"Now that the season's over, I have to balance my attention. This is an exciting time of the year because of free agency and the draft, and we want to take every precaution to ensure that we make the right decisions for this organization."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4475980.html

America
01-17-2007, 10:50 PM
we should have a good offseason

Dunta_23
01-18-2007, 09:57 AM
On the Houston Texans website, in the year end quotes, the coach/Gm said that they plan to be active in FA, whether it be a bunch of 2nd tier guys or 1 or 2 big name guys....so as fans, I believe we have a good offseason to look forward to and a draft where we arent under imense scrutiny to take such and such of a player....

gunn
01-19-2007, 09:00 AM
On the Houston Texans website, in the year end quotes, the coach/Gm said that they plan to be active in FA, whether it be a bunch of 2nd tier guys or 1 or 2 big name guys....so as fans, I believe we have a good offseason to look forward to and a draft where we arent under imense scrutiny to take such and such of a player....

I don't know exactly how much they plan on doing since they currently have only around 12 million in cap space (compared to teams like Tennessee that have around 30 to 40 million). If they trade David Carr that would leave the cap at around 9 million, but they could free up some space by dropping the likes of Wong and Babin. That said, I do still see them making a serious run at Nate Clements though.

Shiver
01-20-2007, 12:55 AM
Is there any chance Sage Rosenfels' is the starter next year?

primetime0506
01-21-2007, 12:37 AM
very good chance that its either rosenthels or plummer if they let carr go

Ravens1991
01-22-2007, 11:25 AM
Who do you think you guys will take in the first?

Dunta_23
01-22-2007, 11:56 AM
As of now, BPA....which will most likely be the remainder of

Adrian Peterson
Laron Landry/Reggie Nelson
Alan Branch (if he falls)
Gaines Adams/Jamaal Anderson

They would all help out tremendously, I guess we will have to see how the combine and workouts go to see how the top 7 will likely shape up and then get a more realistic idea if who "should" be there at 8...

The Texans need a GOOD RB(Peterson), Oline help(nobody at 8 is worth it), Pass Rush(Adams, Anderson), Run Stuffer(Branch), Linebackers(nobody worth it at 8), DB's (Landry, Nelson)....

No matter what the Texans SHOULD get a good player at 8...unless they pull a Travis Johnson

Ravens1991
01-22-2007, 12:26 PM
Jaamal Anderson and Mario Williams would be insane.

America
01-22-2007, 12:39 PM

I think Houston would flip out if we drafted another Dlineman.

Shiver
01-22-2007, 12:41 PM

I think Houston would flip out if we drafted another Dlineman.

They almost need to draft Adrian Peterson to get back on the good side. :lol: He is a Texas kid, so that appeases the same folk who wanted Young, and he is a Running Back who fits the scheme better than Bush did, and he fills a need.

Dunta_23
01-22-2007, 05:47 PM
Id love to see Peterson, but if he is drafted earlier and one of the DE's falls to #8, do the Texans have much of a choice? Or would you prefer a DB like possibly Landry, Nelson, or Leon Hall??

datchapin
01-22-2007, 05:56 PM
Oh, how I would love AP, but Anderson would also be awesome. Having said that though if neither of them are there I think Lynch is our next biggest target. We need a solid RB that will consistently get the yards we need. Our defense really improved over the season and the side of the ball that needs the most help is the offense. Considering how much we rely on the run it leads me to believe that RB is the biggest position of need on that side. While I would love to take a secondary player in the first I believe that a few key FA pick-ups and a couple of solid draft picks in the second and later rds. will really boost our defense in the upper half of the NFL. However we need a RB and there really aren't any FA RB's in FA that I think would make that big of an impact. Considering RB's have the easiest transition I think that is our best option in the draft. I'm crossing my fingers for All Day, but if we take Lynch I would still be happy. He provides better versatility and can still have a huge impact on our team.

datchapin
01-22-2007, 10:10 PM
From what I've gathered our Texans talked to Kenny Irons and Paul Posluzny. (Sorry, don't know how to spell the name right.) So you guys think either of those guys is available in the second? What do you guys think of them.

America
01-22-2007, 10:28 PM
Id love to see Peterson, but if he is drafted earlier and one of the DE's falls to #8, do the Texans have much of a choice? Or would you prefer a DB like possibly Landry, Nelson, or Leon Hall??

I'd much prefer Reggie Nelson over another Dlineman. At least if it's a Dlineman, don't make it Alan Branch. I don't think we need Leon Hall. We need a proven vet. But if we can't get Clements or Samuel, we might have to go that direction. But I'm hoping we can get AD, because we could get someone like Eric Weddle in the 2nd, or Meriweather(who's still a great player despite his off the field troubles). But I'm prayin we get AD. We need some offensive excitement.

America
01-22-2007, 10:33 PM
From what I've gathered our Texans talked to Kenny Irons and Paul Posluzny. (Sorry, don't know how to spell the name right.) So you guys think either of those guys is available in the second? What do you guys think of them.

I'd love Kenny Irons. He could potentially be had in round 3 if we get really lucky. Puz is a big reach at 8, but could be there in round 2. But those chances are next to none as he's supposedly looked in extremely good form at the senior bowl and all of his questions are really about physical things. I'd not the biggest fan of Puz, he just seemed very average this year. I love Kenny Irons, he's got good speed and has that north south style we need.

I forgot in my above post. If we missed out on AD, I definately would consider trading down a bit and getting Lynch. Like I said, a quality S can be had in round 2 or 3.

jayceheathman
01-23-2007, 08:25 PM

That would be sick if that happened. Our DL would be unstoppable.