PDA

View Full Version : Who would you rather have?

GiantRutgersFan
05-09-2007, 01:40 AM
Marquis Colston or Calvin Johnson?

Marcus McNeil or Joe Thomas?

?

big daddy russ
05-09-2007, 03:48 AM
Colston
McNeill

Not much risk involved there. I'll take a sure thing any day.

Besides, Charles Rogers was also a can't-miss WR.

jbeans187
05-09-2007, 03:55 AM
McNeil - He should have never fallen in the draft and will be a pro bowler for the rest of his career

CJ - No explanation needed

OhioState
05-09-2007, 05:53 AM
i would take mcneil and CJ. Mcneil because you are now almost sure he will not bust and CJ because you were always almost sure he will not bust

Caddy
05-09-2007, 06:49 AM
McNeil and CJ hands down. McNeil is one of the most promising LT's in the league and has proved all his doubters wrong. I take CJ over Colston based solely on potential, nothing else.

D-Rod
05-09-2007, 07:17 AM
The fact that McNeill has survived one year in the NFL does not mean that he is a sure thing. That back complaint has not suddenly disappeared, it just didn't flare up this year. I hope for his sake that it stays away, but teams avoided him because of LONG-TERM health concerns, not just one year.

As to Colston-CJ, don't make me laugh. Colston had a great year, but he benefited from an element of surprise, a good QB, a good offensive scheme, and the freedom of being a low-drafted rookie. The two middle ones should remain, but the others will disappear. There's no guarantee that he'll perform close to that this year, now that he is being expected to be a no.1 WR. He's not even close to CJ on a physical level, and while he has good hands and runs good routes - and don't get me wrong, I'd love to have him on my team - but he's just not the same calibre of player as CJ.

bored of education
05-09-2007, 08:31 AM
Ill take Thomas and Mcneil

ricky bobby
05-09-2007, 08:37 AM
Way to be original GRF.

DI
05-09-2007, 11:03 AM
Calvin and McNeill. I don't think Thomas can do anything that much better in his rookie year that McNeill did and I think McNeill will only improve which is scary and Calvin, well, you know. Colston is a great receiver, but CJ has the tools to be one of the greatest.

Iamcanadian
05-09-2007, 11:10 AM
The fact that McNeill has survived one year in the NFL does not mean that he is a sure thing. That back complaint has not suddenly disappeared, it just didn't flare up this year. I hope for his sake that it stays away, but teams avoided him because of LONG-TERM health concerns, not just one year.

As to Colston-CJ, don't make me laugh. Colston had a great year, but he benefited from an element of surprise, a good QB, a good offensive scheme, and the freedom of being a low-drafted rookie. The two middle ones should remain, but the others will disappear. There's no guarantee that he'll perform close to that this year, now that he is being expected to be a no.1 WR. He's not even close to CJ on a physical level, and while he has good hands and runs good routes - and don't get me wrong, I'd love to have him on my team - but he's just not the same calibre of player as CJ.

Excellent point, McNeil could very easily have a very short career although I would hate for it to happen.
As for the WR's, Johnson certainly has the upside but has proven nothing yet. Detroit's record drafting WR's is pretty weak but I'd still take him over Colston and hold my breath.

big daddy russ
05-09-2007, 12:41 PM
Long-term health?

You know, I'm not a huge NFL fan. I'm actually a much bigger fan of college ball (huge Auburn fan at that... followed McNeill for a long time), so I didn't see whether McNeill went down the drain or not towards the end of the season. All I really know about the guy is that I saw him starting for the "most talented team in the league," but beyond that, I couldn't tell you anything about his personal performance level. Just what I've read about him, that he was a great rookie, yada, yada, yada.

But what long-term health issues? There was never any health issues during his days at Auburn. He started almost 40 consecutive games for us.

I always that the reasons he slipped had to do with his mean streak, run blocking (he was the second-best pass-blocker in the draft), and the fact that last year's draft was loaded at OT.

It seems like everyone gets so excited about what could be that they forget about the talent they have. I remember when Carlos Rogers graded out to, what was it, a 98 on Kiper's list a few years back?

Pretty close, though not quite, CJ's grade of a 99 this year. I know most of the 99's don't bust, but nothing's a sure thing. Not even Calvin Johnson. Personally, I'd rather have a proven commodity, especially at a position like WR and OT, than take a chance on a college kid, but that's just me.

Now if you're asking me whether I'd keep JP Losman or go after a Brady Quinn, I'd go with the draft pick. QB, RB, DE, CB... those are the positions where you want that top-flight talent the most.

Acreboy
05-09-2007, 12:58 PM
Man i'm a Saints fan but I have to go CJ. And I own a Colston jersey..

McNeil all the way because he just looks more athletic.

SenorGato
05-09-2007, 01:03 PM

QFT.

Colston as a 7th round pick went from underrated to overrated very fast. People are acting like he's the first decent talent to fall in the draft (he was a better prospect than a 7th rounder) and turn out to be a half decent player. It's laughable to compare him to CJ though.

Acreboy
05-09-2007, 01:08 PM
QFT.

Colston as a 7th round pick went from underrated to overrated very fast. People are acting like he's the first decent talent to fall in the draft (he was a better prospect than a 7th rounder) and turn out to be a half decent player. It's laughable to compare him to CJ though.It's Laughable to say he's underrated.

Stats don't lie and Colston put up big numbers last year.

You do realize we're comparing a 1000 yard WR to a rookie WR who hasn't taken a snap in the NFL yet?

If anything Colston wins by default.

High Roller
05-09-2007, 04:50 PM
Johnson and McNeil

regoob2
05-09-2007, 05:16 PM
how could anybody rather have colston over CJ. put CJ in that offense and hed have a lot more yards than colston could imagine. colston was a product of the system now people actually know who he is i dont see him over 600 yards this year. and mcneil, he is very good now and hes not gonna get any worse barring an injury. so hes already proven he can play. i still cant believe theres a thread comparing CJ and colston.

Phrost
05-09-2007, 05:16 PM
Heres a good one.

Quinn or Brohm?

regoob2
05-09-2007, 05:17 PM
It's Laughable to say he's underrated.

Stats don't lie and Colston put up big numbers last year.

You do realize we're comparing a 1000 yard WR to a rookie WR who hasn't taken a snap in the NFL yet?

If anything Colston wins by default.

so if you were building a franchise it would be with marques colston?

-black
05-09-2007, 05:24 PM
would you rather have

Jamarcus Russell, Marshawn Lynch, and Joe Thomas

or

Brady Quinn, Adrian Peterson, and Levi Brown

Phrost
05-09-2007, 05:29 PM
would you rather have

Jamarcus Russell, Marshawn Lynch, and Joe Thomas

or

Brady Quinn, Adrian Peterson, and Levi Brown

Latter. I just like AD and Quinn more than Lynch and Jammy.

bored of education
05-09-2007, 05:31 PM
Ehhhhh I'd take jamarcus, lynch and brown

umphrey
05-09-2007, 05:43 PM
Wow you guys are quick to rip on Colston. He had one of the best rookie years for a WR ever, what makes you think he's going to regress so much? IMO he'll be an elite WR in 4 years.

-black
05-09-2007, 05:45 PM
his whole style and the whole situation does compare to Michael Clayton. Clayton (who was similarly thrust into the starting lineup) also had one of the best rookie years ever from a WR

-black
05-09-2007, 05:47 PM
im not saying Colston will meet the fate of Clayton either, just stating that just because he had a great rookie year does not mean he will turn into a annual pro bowler or a "top 4" elite WR in the league

draftguru151
05-09-2007, 05:54 PM
Long-term health?

You know, I'm not a huge NFL fan. I'm actually a much bigger fan of college ball (huge Auburn fan at that... followed McNeill for a long time), so I didn't see whether McNeill went down the drain or not towards the end of the season. All I really know about the guy is that I saw him starting for the "most talented team in the league," but beyond that, I couldn't tell you anything about his personal performance level. Just what I've read about him, that he was a great rookie, yada, yada, yada.

But what long-term health issues? There was never any health issues during his days at Auburn. He started almost 40 consecutive games for us.

For being such a big Auburn fan you really don't know a lot about the players. McNeill has a very dangerous spinal condition.

Sportsfan486
05-09-2007, 06:01 PM
For being such a big Auburn fan you really don't know a lot about the players. McNeill has a very dangerous spinal condition.

Yup. A LOT of teams completely erased him from their draft boards. No question he was/is a good football player but he probably won't last long in the league..

Phrost
05-09-2007, 06:05 PM
Yup. A LOT of teams completely erased him from their draft boards. No question he was/is a good football player but he probably won't last long in the league..

He would have been the #1 player left on the Bucs board I think...

doingthisinsteadofwork
05-09-2007, 06:28 PM
are these serious questions?JT and CJ havent even played a down in the NFL yet.
If were going by prospects then Id say CJ and JT.

big daddy russ
05-09-2007, 10:52 PM

Am I supposed to stalk them? Would that impress you? Steal their medical records and underwear, then inhale the juicy aromas from their jock straps?

What college teams do you follow? What jock straps have you pressed your nose against?

Or do you prefer the NFL guys?

All I knew is that he started 40-someodd straight games for us. I didn't know about his spinal condition. I'll try to be a better fan.

War Eagle.

art vandelay
05-11-2007, 09:17 AM
Also, Mayock labeled him a "squatty waist-bender."

Sportsfan486
05-11-2007, 11:18 AM
Am I supposed to stalk them? Would that impress you?

Yes... yes it would.

tylerb929
05-11-2007, 11:44 AM
Here is the condition McNeil has been diagnosed with:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumbar_spinal_stenosis#Lumbar_spine_stenosis

Problem is, treatment ofter requires losing weight, using a walker to correct spine angle, and steroids. All of which don't seem like a possible option.

Mr. Marcus
05-11-2007, 01:25 PM
No doubt I'd take CJ over Colston any day of the week.

McNeil vs. Thomas is really tough for me, after seeing McNeil play year 1. I think I'll still go with Joe Thomas.