View Full Version : Kansas City Chiefs Discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Splat
11-09-2006, 11:45 AM
Discuss the Chiefs here.

Ok I will. :D

eazyb81
11-09-2006, 11:54 AM
Any word on the injuries to Hali and DJ?

I don't want anything to hurt DJ's Pro Bowl bid for this year....he's been a monster so far.

Splat
11-09-2006, 12:11 PM
As of Nov 8th.

http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/2450/4f535ba30d6d41e29f1f9eeaa6.gif (http://imageshack.us)

I heard Hali will for sure play same with Wesley but DJ is still up in the air?

eazyb81
11-09-2006, 03:30 PM
Predictions on how we finish the season?

I'm saying 5-3 and a wildcard birth, assuming everything stays the same (Huard at QB and no major injuries).

T-RICH49
11-09-2006, 05:12 PM
I heard Herm say DJ will be out this week

Splat
11-09-2006, 06:26 PM
I heard Herm say DJ will be out this week

Yep but Fox is a beast we will be fine.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/KC/9790579

villagewarrior
11-09-2006, 07:13 PM
DJ being out sucks, but I'm really worried about Waters being out. That's not good. I wonder if Stallings will get any PT, it would be nice to see what he can do.

eazyb81
11-09-2006, 07:27 PM
DJ being out sucks, but I'm really worried about Waters being out. That's not good. I wonder if Stallings will get any PT, it would be nice to see what he can do.

While it certainly sucks Waters is out, I think we are lucky that he may only be out for the games against Miami and Oakland.

Also, after watching it happen during the game, I am thrilled that he will only miss a couple games. I was sure that he was going to miss the rest of the season.

Sucks DJ is out, he has had a great season so far.

Splat
11-11-2006, 10:12 AM

While it certainly sucks Waters is out, I think we are lucky that he may only be out for the games against Miami and Oakland.

Also, after watching it happen during the game, I am thrilled that he will only miss a couple games. I was sure that he was going to miss the rest of the season.

Sucks DJ is out, he has had a great season so far.

Yep I thought big #54 was done for the year could be wrose Bober came in and played great lets hope he keeps it up.

villagewarrior
11-11-2006, 11:26 PM
We'll see what old Bober can do. He's been pretty unimpressive in his limited opportunities in KC thus far. I also hear Welbourne might get some snaps there.

Splat
11-12-2006, 02:43 PM
Dante Hall sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eazyb81
11-12-2006, 04:12 PM
It can't be said enough....the offensive line is simply horrendous this year. Miami was in our backfield all game and Huard just did not have enough time to do anything out there. It's sad to see how far this group has fallen, the only guy that is consistently above average is Wiegmann.

Really tough loss, but we deserved it. The offensive playcalling was weak all game, and I really think we should have gone to shotgun in that last drive when it was obvious we needed to pass. The line couldn't hold back Miami, so why not put Huard in the gun and give him some extra time?

I would be happy if I never saw Chris Bober, Dante Hall, or Samie Parker in a Chiefs uniform again.

T-RICH49
11-12-2006, 06:23 PM
Gonzo's out for Oakland according to Mitch Houltus

effthiskid11
11-12-2006, 06:41 PM
It can't be said enough....the offensive line is simply horrendous this year. Miami was in our backfield all game and Huard just did not have enough time to do anything out there. It's sad to see how far this group has fallen, the only guy that is consistently above average is Wiegmann.

Really tough loss, but we deserved it. The offensive playcalling was weak all game, and I really think we should have gone to shotgun in that last drive when it was obvious we needed to pass. The line couldn't hold back Miami, so why not put Huard in the gun and give him some extra time?

I would be happy if I never saw Chris Bober, Dante Hall, or Samie Parker in a Chiefs uniform again.

Not to mention Kyle Turley, good lord put Welbourne in

The Unseen
11-12-2006, 09:19 PM
I would like to personally thank the Kansas City Chiefs for laying an egg as home to offset the one that the Jaguars laid.

villagewarrior
11-12-2006, 10:50 PM
Yeah, bad game, but lets not jumpship just yet. Things looked bleak earlier in the year and they managed to make the season interesting. We've got 7 games to go, the towel hasn't been thrown in yet.

BPhilb
11-13-2006, 12:02 AM
One man's thoughts after week 10:

* Outside of Julius Peppers, I don't think I would trade Jared Allen for any DE in the league. I can't remeber the last time the guy had a bad game. He is going to cost us a ton over the next couple of years but he is a legit playmaker and it's starting to not matter who he is lined up against on any team's O-Line.

* I think we are in good hands at FS with Jarred Page. He made a couple of mistakes early in coverage, but he showed some great flashes of potential today and is going to be a player for us.

* Even with all of the injuries the D was solid today. They put us in position to win the game even though they were on the field almost all day. Watching the game it seemed like they ran all over us, but the overall numbers were not that bad all things considered.

* Tamba Hali was still hurt it appeared and I'm not so sure Eric Hicks may not have been a better play today. (I never thought I would say that)

* We have to get Brian Watters back as soon as possible. We looked horrible today on both run blocking and pass protection. It's amazing how much difference one guy can make but it was noticable today. It also killed us getting behind early giving Miami a chance to play us aggresivley.

* A win this week would have probably cemented Huard as the starter for the upcoming future, but I imagine we will start hearing Trent Green return dates every day now. It's not Huard's fault today as he was pressured all day and played admirably, but it's probably the best thing for our team in the long run.

All things said I don't think any of us are really suprised that we lost this game considering we were on the road and had lost so many key players. Next week actually scares me a bit as the Raiders are actually playing great D put if we can get past this road trip and get back to Arrowhead things can head back the right way. A win today would have been huge given all of the WC contenders lost today, but it's not the end of the world at this point and hopefully we can get healthy to take on the Broncos.

eazyb81
11-13-2006, 11:38 AM
I would like to personally thank the Kansas City Chiefs for laying an egg as home to offset the one that the Jaguars laid.

We weren't playing at home, and don't forget that the Jags come to Arrowhead the last game of the season.

The Unseen
11-13-2006, 11:39 AM
Yeah, I just realized that :oops:

And I also know about that game. It'll probably decide the sixth seed the way things are going.

eazyb81
11-13-2006, 11:42 AM
I'm really not upset just because we lost, i'm upset at the way we played. The offensive playcalling was horrendous and the coaches did not put us in position to win the game. The five 3 and outs to start the game put us into a hole immediately, and that is unacceptable. We finally woke up when it was too late, and lost the game in the process. I'm not sure if Herm is handcuffing Solari or what, but we need to start trying to win instead of trying not to lose. This was last year's Buffalo game all over again.

eazyb81
11-13-2006, 11:43 AM
Yeah, I just realized that :oops:

And I also know about that game. It'll probably decide the sixth seed the way things are going.

If true, I like our odds.

T-RICH49
11-13-2006, 05:19 PM
It appears Gonzo has a sprained shoulder and not a sperated or dislocated one so some appearant good news

BPhilb
11-13-2006, 10:55 PM
It appears Gonzo has a sprained shoulder and not a sperated or dislocated one so some appearant good news

ESPN.com is reporting that he will definetly miss the Oakland game though. I'm not sure how in the heck we are going to score without him at this point. Hopefully Tynes can make 4 or 5 field goals for us. This is where the thin receiving core starts to rear it's ugly head.

Though speaking of good news, Shell is planning on starting Brooks this week because Walters made comments about the offense being poor. Not that Walters scared me at all, but if we have to win a game on the road and being banged up, there is no better QB to play against than Brooks in my opinion.

villagewarrior
11-14-2006, 07:35 AM
True, Brooks is a very good QB. :roll:

We should be getting a look at some of the young depth in my opinion. Let's rotate some guys in and out, see what they can do.

T-RICH49
11-14-2006, 10:39 PM
Trent's been cleared to play

http://www.kcchiefs.com

eazyb81
11-15-2006, 03:01 PM
Hopefully we get up on the Raiders early and he can get some garbage time in the 4th quarter.

Of course, we would need Solari to actually pull his head out of his ass to get up on them early.

villagewarrior
11-16-2006, 11:40 AM
Sometime's Solari's head is free, but sometimes he buries it again. We'll need the defense to play big though, because the Raider's defense isn't too shabby.

Splat
11-16-2006, 06:51 PM
Sometime's Solari's head is free, but sometimes he buries it again. We'll need the defense to play big though, because the Raider's defense isn't too shabby.

Herm lets MS call what ever at home but on the road Herm handcuffs him on what he can call that is why we are good on O at home and suck on the road IMO.

T-RICH49
11-17-2006, 10:03 AM
Is DJ out again this week?

BPhilb
11-17-2006, 10:37 AM

He's listed as out on the injury report.

eazyb81
11-17-2006, 11:32 AM

He's listed as out on the injury report.

WTF, that sucks.

Word is that Gonzo may be back for the Denver game.....we will need him, especially now that Wilson is at fullback.

Splat
11-18-2006, 03:24 PM
http://img453.imageshack.us/img453/9643/47c110bd53vf5.gif (http://imageshack.us)

villagewarrior
11-18-2006, 09:31 PM
http://img453.imageshack.us/img453/9643/47c110bd53vf5.gif (http://imageshack.us)

Haha, is that how the Raider guy lost his eye in the first place? An arrow from a Chief?

Who's ready for a win tomorrow? I am!

BPhilb
11-18-2006, 10:52 PM
Haha, is that how the Raider guy lost his eye in the first place? An arrow from a Chief?

Who's ready for a win tomorrow? I am!

I'm excited and nervous at the same time. These next 11 days or so can pretty much determine our season. A sweep makes us a near lock for the playoffs, and two losses virtually knocks us out. Our injury situation is brutal which makes me nervous, though the key guys should return around the same time so if we can get past these next two games we should be starting to get healthy for the strech run. Being at Arrowhead though makes up for a lot and for that reason I'm ready to get things kicked off tomorrow.

Splat
11-19-2006, 03:08 PM
Turn the Page!!!!!!!

T-RICH49
11-19-2006, 03:47 PM
Turn the Page!!!!!!!

We got ourselves a future stud as FS

BPhilb
11-19-2006, 06:14 PM
One man's observations after week 11:

* Our pass rush was not great today and I'm not sure why. We just didn't seem to generate any consistant pressure today from our ends which I can't say about any other game this year other than against Pittsburgh. The scary part was if you go back and watch the game, Sims was doubled a lot today and we still couldn't get to the QB with our ends. I believe not having Johnson has a lot to do with this.

* About every three weeks I speak about how great Ty Law is and I'm going to do so agian today. He's just a stud, and I know that Moss was only giving half effort, but no catches is still a great game.

* Green was rusty as was expected, but I think today's game had more to do with Gonzalez being out than bad QB play. Our receivers are so dependent on Gonzalez opening things up it's not even funny.

* Michael Bennett played well today and seemed much more confident. We really need him down the stretch because Johnson's carries are over a pace for 400 right now.

It wasn't pretty today but a big win given the injuries we had. Thursday is huge and the short week won't help us but if we can get a couple of key guys back we should compete for the win. [/quote]

T-RICH49
11-19-2006, 10:14 PM
According to Herm DJ, Wesley, Waters and Gonzo could all be back by Denver :D :D :D

eazyb81
11-20-2006, 02:05 PM
Glad we won, but I don't think we played well. Green is going to have to improve quite a bit before Thursday if we want to beat Denver. I'm still scratching my head at times over the playcalling, and i'm not sure if it's Solari's fault or if Herm is handcuffing him.

The defense has looked a little off this past two weeks, i'm hoping we will improve once DJ gets back on the field. If we get all our missing pieces back by Thursday, then I think we have a great shot at winning. If not, it could be tough.

Make or break game coming up for us.....can't lose a home game this late in the season if you want to make the playoffs.

Splat
11-20-2006, 04:21 PM
The Mod's are so trigger happy on this site I have never been on a site where more threads got locked.

Splat
11-20-2006, 04:36 PM
How you like my new Avatar?

T-RICH49
11-20-2006, 07:36 PM
How you like my new Avatar?

awesome

effthiskid11
11-20-2006, 11:04 PM
Some people start doing some mock drafts for the chiefs on here bro's, I wanna pick up Brian Smith, for sure

eazyb81
11-21-2006, 10:01 AM
Some people start doing some mock drafts for the chiefs on here bro's, I wanna pick up Brian Smith, for sure

where would Smith fit on the Chiefs? I think he's a clear choice for a 3-4 team.

T-RICH49
11-21-2006, 11:33 AM
What about Jake Long, OT, Michigan.Is he worth using a 1st on?

eazyb81
11-21-2006, 11:51 AM
I would rather trade up for Sam Baker, I don't see Long as a great fit for us at left tackle.

It's clear that we have three main needs: left tackle, wide receiver, and defensive tackle. It's too early to predict now, but hopefully a quality player at one of those positions drops to us.

KaneMarko
11-21-2006, 12:24 PM
This may be wishful thinking but if I could play out my ideal scenario for this year's Chiefs draft I'd go:

Round 1: Alan Branch - DT
Round 2: Amobi Okoye - DT
Round 3: Joe Staley - LT

Then I would sign big Leonard Davis from the Cardinals, who is an UFA at the end of the year, to play RT.

Offensive and defensive tackle are the two biggest weakness on this team. Branch, Okoye, Staley and Davis would fix all that.

BPhilb
11-21-2006, 01:36 PM
I wouldn't be suprised to see us get Justin Blackock to replace Shields. Given we are picking in the 20 range or higher (if we are lucky) he would provide decent value for us. I do agree with the Baker idea as he is a badass, but I don't know if we want to give up any picks to move up given the lack of depth we have a many positions.

eazyb81
11-21-2006, 05:25 PM
I wouldn't be suprised to see us get Justin Blackock to replace Shields. Given we are picking in the 20 range or higher (if we are lucky) he would provide decent value for us. I do agree with the Baker idea as he is a badass, but I don't know if we want to give up any picks to move up given the lack of depth we have a many positions.

I like Blalock, but I don't know if we should take him in the 1st if we profile him out as a guard. I think we really need to focus on the tackles, especially left tackle; Black is better suited as a guard, Turley is unreliable, Svitek is untested, and who knows about Welbourn.

If we acquired a legit left tackle, we could move Black inside to take over for Shields, and have Turley, Svitek, or Welbourn slot in on the right side.

However, the hard part is actually finding a legit left tackle. We may not be able to draft one in the 1st, so maybe we can trade for one in offseason, like we did with Roaf.

effthiskid11
11-21-2006, 06:34 PM
This may be wishful thinking but if I could play out my ideal scenario for this year's Chiefs draft I'd go:

Then I would sign big Leonard Davis from the Cardinals, who is an UFA at the end of the year, to play RT.

Offensive and defensive tackle are the two biggest weakness on this team. Branch, Okoye, Staley and Davis would fix all that.

I would be ecstatic about that, Branch will probly go top 10 though, then again I thought Derrick Johnson would too, and about Brian Smith I kno Keyaron Fox is doing good but I think he could take over for Bell and be a good pass rusher from the LB spot, another pass rusher never ever hurts, hes so versatile

villagewarrior
11-21-2006, 08:15 PM
Branch is the guy I'm really hopin for. He screams John Henderson to me. Also, I think outside of Joe Thomas there isn't really a legit left tackle, at least not one that's first round material. It seems all of the other first round tackles could be left tackles, but could also be right. I just don't know.

BPhilb
11-21-2006, 10:24 PM
I don't feel real confident in the tackles that will probalby be late round 1 picks such as Levi Brown or potentially Jake Long. Left tackles are almost impossible to come by and as much as I would like to get a good one, I don't think we are going to pick high enough to get a safe choice. Blackock seems like a safe pick the will for sure help the team. I would like to see him become a right tackle intially and give us versatility going forward, but if we don't get him I would just assume us go ahead and grab a receiver and start building the corp on the outside. I don't see any way in heck that Branch will be around as I see him being a top 10 pick for sure when draft time rolls around.

KaneMarko
11-22-2006, 07:47 AM

I would be ecstatic about that, Branch will probly go top 10 though, then again I thought Derrick Johnson would too, and about Brian Smith I kno Keyaron Fox is doing good but I think he could take over for Bell and be a good pass rusher from the LB spot, another pass rusher never ever hurts, hes so versatile

I'll probably get much grief for this but here goes anyway. I'm not all the way certain Branch is a top 10 pick. Don't get me wrong. The kid is very impressive. And certainly passes the eyeball test. And I have very little doubt that if he stays healthy he will be a pro-bowler in the NFL. But I'm just not sold on him being a top 10 pick just yet. Of course I didn't expect Donte Whitner to go in the top 10 last year either. So you never know. I just see Branch in that 11-20 range more than I see him in the 5-10 range. Scott Wright basically guaranteed that Branch is coming out this year. So it'll be interesting to see where he ends up going. More than likely the Chiefs won't be drafting high enough to get him. Although it would be nice if he experienced a Derrick Johnson-like slide to our spot. With the number of quality of impact D-Tackles in this draft being somewhat low, I kinda expect Okam to come out this year too. If he does, he might be a pretty good Plan B in the first round if we can't get Branch.

KaneMarko
11-22-2006, 07:51 AM
Branch is the guy I'm really hopin for. He screams John Henderson to me. Also, I think outside of Joe Thomas there isn't really a legit left tackle, at least not one that's first round material. It seems all of the other first round tackles could be left tackles, but could also be right. I just don't know.

Sam Baker is a kid that I wouldn't mind seeing play LT in Arrowhead. I think he could be a really good LT in the NFL. Joe Staley is another one I like.

But I would love to see Branch playing in Red and Gold. Like I said in another thread, the only real problem with our defense now, other than maybe some young potential starters to replace Law and Surtain one day, is an impact D-Tackle or two. Branch would definitely be that impact D-Tackle. If not Branch, the Okam should he decide to declare this year.

T-RICH49
11-22-2006, 11:34 AM

Sam Baker is a kid that I wouldn't mind seeing play LT in Arrowhead. I think he could be a really good LT in the NFL. Joe Staley is another one I like.

But I would love to see Branch playing in Red and Gold. Like I said in another thread, the only real problem with our defense now, other than maybe some young potential starters to replace Law and Surtain one day, is an impact D-Tackle or two. Branch would definitely be that impact D-Tackle. If not Branch, the Okam should he decide to declare this year.

Could Tarrell Brown be there in RD 3 for the Chiefs to draft?I like him and Aaron Ross

Splat
11-22-2006, 11:48 AM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2006/11/22/chiefsbroncos_can_be_seen_on_wdaftv_fox_4/

You say you don’t get the NFL Network. So what do you do if you don’t have tickets for the network’s broadcast of the Thanksgiving night Chiefs-Broncos game?

Don’t despair. The game can be seen locally on WDAF-TV (FOX 4) with kickoff slated for 7 PM. Local stations are permitted to bid for the rights to carry a game that is not seen on network television and in this instance Fox 4 won out the bidding process. For those of you lucky enough to get tickets to the game and don’t want to miss the annual Plaza lighting ceremony, you can see it on the Arrowhead JumboTron with none other than the Clark Hunt family and NFL Hall of Fame players Willie Lanier and Bobby Bell to doing the honors pulling the switch.

Happy Holidays!

KaneMarko
11-22-2006, 12:18 PM

Could Tarrell Brown be there in RD 3 for the Chiefs to draft?I like him and Aaron Ross

Didn't one of them get busted for possession earlier in the year? I think Brown and Ross are pretty solid prospects. Possibly late day 1 if they are still there. I have only seen a few Texas games this year. But going by the little I've seen of them and what I've read, they could be developed into some pretty solid cover 2 corners given some time under Herm. Getting a rookie corner in the 1st day might not be a bad idea. We're not sure what Maxey can do. Since he's been cut by both the Chiefs and Bears then re-signed by the Chiefs, I'm thinking he may be a career backup. Although I hope he can be more because I really liked him coming out of The U. Sapp isn't somebody you want starting and is probably ideal as a nickel guy. I liked Hodge coming out of Miami of Ohio but he was on the PS most of last year and is IR'd this year. So I'm not sure of his longterm potential. And I've never been a big fan of Lenny Walls. So I think going after a corner on day 1 to get into the pipeline behind Law and Surtain might not be a bad idea. And it sounds like if given time, Brown and Ross could develop into some pretty solid cover 2 guys.

But I'm also a guy that strongly believes that games are won and lost in the trenches. And we really need a few upgrades on both of our lines.

T-RICH49
11-22-2006, 01:16 PM

Didn't one of them get busted for possession earlier in the year? I think Brown and Ross are pretty solid prospects. Possibly late day 1 if they are still there. I have only seen a few Texas games this year. But going by the little I've seen of them and what I've read, they could be developed into some pretty solid cover 2 corners given some time under Herm. Getting a rookie corner in the 1st day might not be a bad idea. We're not sure what Maxey can do. Since he's been cut by both the Chiefs and Bears then re-signed by the Chiefs, I'm thinking he may be a career backup. Although I hope he can be more because I really liked him coming out of The U. Sapp isn't somebody you want starting and is probably ideal as a nickel guy. I liked Hodge coming out of Miami of Ohio but he was on the PS most of last year and is IR'd this year. So I'm not sure of his longterm potential. And I've never been a big fan of Lenny Walls. So I think going after a corner on day 1 to get into the pipeline behind Law and Surtain might not be a bad idea. And it sounds like if given time, Brown and Ross could develop into some pretty solid cover 2 guys.

But I'm also a guy that strongly believes that games are won and lost in the trenches. And we really need a few upgrades on both of our lines.

Yeah I think it's time to draft a young CB.they could learn a lot by watching Law and Surtain

eazyb81
11-22-2006, 04:03 PM
According to Herm, DJ and Gonzo are questionable for tomorrow, but everyone else should be ready to play.

I think Gonzo will end up playing.

DJ better man up....we need him.

Oh, and Sampson might be out now.....damn.

T-RICH49
11-22-2006, 09:58 PM
According to Herm, DJ and Gonzo are questionable for tomorrow, but everyone else should be ready to play.

I think Gonzo will end up playing.

DJ better man up....we need him.

Oh, and Sampson might be out now.....damn.

Sampson is a wimp

Splat
11-23-2006, 03:49 PM
That is ok we have Chris Terry I think he is going to lock up the RT spot.

Splat
11-23-2006, 10:14 PM
Huge win that is all I can say huge win.

T-RICH49
11-23-2006, 10:23 PM
Huge win that is all I can say huge win.

agreed

villagewarrior
11-23-2006, 10:48 PM
Fantastic win. Had the whole family over watchin the game, which was a lot of fun.

On the subject of DTs, what is everyone's opinion of Mebane from California. I thought he looked good in the USC game.

T-RICH49
11-23-2006, 11:05 PM
No suprise the game ball went to Lamar

eazyb81
11-24-2006, 08:22 AM
Awesome win, we really needed this game.

I'm loving the LJ/Bennett combo right now. Bennett is a legit backup that we can count on when spelling Larry, and his speed is such a huge asset late in games.

Our Dline stepped up big time, I hope Allen and Hali can keep this pressure up for the rest of the season. This is a legit top 10 defense when we can get consistent pressure from the front four.

Huge win and we now have 10 days to prepare for the Browns.

Splat
11-24-2006, 09:07 AM

I'm loving the LJ/Bennett combo right now. Bennett is a legit backup that we can count on when spelling Larry, and his speed is such a huge asset late in games.

Our Dline stepped up big time, I hope Allen and Hali can keep this pressure up for the rest of the season. This is a legit top 10 defense when we can get consistent pressure from the front four.

Bennett makes me think of Priest when he gets the ball he is not as good no but the way he moves with the football is Priest like.

villagewarrior
11-24-2006, 09:36 AM
Allen and Hali are beasts, and Wilkerson provides an occasional burst from the middle, but other than that the line doesn't provide much in the terms of a pass rush. Well, not the line, but the tackles. They do fine holding up against the run, but we get no push up the middle.

T-RICH49
11-24-2006, 12:47 PM

Bennett makes me think of Priest when he gets the ball he is not as good no but the way he moves with the football is Priest like.

Micheal Bennet rushed for more yards on one play then Denver did the entire game (41 to 38 )

T-RICH49
11-24-2006, 02:34 PM
What does everyone think of Dwayne Bowe of LSU?

KaneMarko
11-24-2006, 03:12 PM
Allen and Hali are beasts, and Wilkerson provides an occasional burst from the middle, but other than that the line doesn't provide much in the terms of a pass rush. Well, not the line, but the tackles. They do fine holding up against the run, but we get no push up the middle.

And that's why I think we really need to be looking at a DT or maybe even 2 early in the draft. I asked this question on another site, but can you imagine how much hell Allen and Tamba would be raising if we had just one dominant D-Tackle?

I'm really hoping Branch and Okam declare so we can hopefully snag one of them.

KaneMarko
11-24-2006, 04:07 PM
What does everyone think of Dwayne Bowe of LSU?

I think he has something like 850 yards and 10 or 11 TDs this year. Big kid. Could be a very good receiver in the right system. I wouldn't mind seeing him in Red and Gold.

Only thing is, with Herm putting an emphasis on ball control and the running game, I'm not sure I see him spending a high pick on a WR. Bowe sounds like he'd be a solid late 1st early 2nd rounder. Just not sure with Herm's philosophy that the Chiefs would spend that high of a pick on a WR.

gballs
11-25-2006, 04:45 PM
I really like the idea of going OT in the first and Sam Baker would be killer for us. I live in Austin and have watched Texas play this year and the one thing that has been lacking to their D is a legit pass rush. Their DEs are mediocre at best, but that also speaks to the DTs as well. I don't think Okam is that great, at least not first round great. I do like Jake Long and this is why. In the past, aka Priest days, we were a great team on sweeps. We worked so well on a pitch to big Willie Roaf's side. Well, Priests days are over. LJ is a between the tackles kind of guy. The mobility, in terms of pulling, on our oline isn't as important anymore. We just need someone to solidify up that spot and move Black. Also, don't be surprised if Levi Brown ends up in the Red and Gold. Remember who his coach is, LJ's dad. He'll have some pull if he's still around when we pick. We could also trade down and try to move up in the 2nd. Not a bad idea this year, even though everyone hates it. Also, we could get someone like Okoye in the 2nd and I'd be very happy. I saw the mentioning of Aaron Ross and Terrell Brown. Either one of them could turn into great cover 2 guys. Brown is more physical but Ross if faster. He handles their PR and KR game. This could be the incentive to let Hall go. WR is deep in this draft too. If we ended up with Paul Williams, just due to the physical specimen he is, I'd be happy. I wouldn't mind us picking up a DE with an early second day pick to work Hicks out of the rotation. This is kind of a jumble of thoughts, so feel free to pick me apart. On one last note, wouldn’t mind seeing us pick up Leonard Davis in FA. He hasn’t been a great LT, but I think if we put him back at RG where he dominated in college then he could be Shield’s replacement.

Dead-ger
11-26-2006, 09:02 PM
I would love to nab WR Meachem from Tennessee in the 2nd rd. He can give us some size.

I think a guy like Jake Long may be available to us in the first, unless Branch is there I would gamble on him in a heartbeat. Long was dominating in the Ohio St. game, and Branch was pretty much the only guy on the Michigan D that made any noise.

And I would def. grab a CB in the 3rd to learn from Law and Surtain.

T-RICH49
11-27-2006, 10:40 AM
I would not mind this draft

1. Frank Okam
2. Doug Free
3. Dallas Baker

eazyb81
11-27-2006, 11:11 AM
Can Jake Long or Levi Brown play LT in the pros? I thought Scott said they were probably going to move to RT in the NFL, but I may be wrong.

KaneMarko
11-27-2006, 12:03 PM
Can Jake Long or Levi Brown play LT in the pros? I thought Scott said they were probably going to move to RT in the NFL, but I may be wrong.

I definitely see Levi Brown as a RT or maybe even a guard. I feel Long can play LT but would probably be a little better fit at RT.

KaneMarko
11-27-2006, 12:06 PM
I really like the idea of going OT in the first and Sam Baker would be killer for us. I live in Austin and have watched Texas play this year and the one thing that has been lacking to their D is a legit pass rush. Their DEs are mediocre at best, but that also speaks to the DTs as well. I don't think Okam is that great, at least not first round great. I do like Jake Long and this is why. In the past, aka Priest days, we were a great team on sweeps. We worked so well on a pitch to big Willie Roaf's side. Well, Priests days are over. LJ is a between the tackles kind of guy. The mobility, in terms of pulling, on our oline isn't as important anymore. We just need someone to solidify up that spot and move Black. Also, don't be surprised if Levi Brown ends up in the Red and Gold. Remember who his coach is, LJ's dad. He'll have some pull if he's still around when we pick. We could also trade down and try to move up in the 2nd. Not a bad idea this year, even though everyone hates it. Also, we could get someone like Okoye in the 2nd and I'd be very happy. I saw the mentioning of Aaron Ross and Terrell Brown. Either one of them could turn into great cover 2 guys. Brown is more physical but Ross if faster. He handles their PR and KR game. This could be the incentive to let Hall go. WR is deep in this draft too. If we ended up with Paul Williams, just due to the physical specimen he is, I'd be happy. I wouldn't mind us picking up a DE with an early second day pick to work Hicks out of the rotation. This is kind of a jumble of thoughts, so feel free to pick me apart. On one last note, wouldn’t mind seeing us pick up Leonard Davis in FA. He hasn’t been a great LT, but I think if we put him back at RG where he dominated in college then he could be Shield’s replacement.

I really like the thought of going after Leonard Davis in the offseason. I believe he's only 27/28 years old and just now entering his prime. I think he'd be a pretty good acquisition for the Chiefs. But I wouldn't move him to RG. I'd station his 366 pounds at RT. In our offense, the guards have to be ablte to run and get out on the perimeter. Something I don't think plays to Davis' strength. High athleticism at RT in this offense isn't nearly as important as it is at RG in this offense. I feel Davis at RT is a better fit than at RG. LJ may not be as great as Priest was on the perimeter. But LJ can still get out there and turn it up for big yards if it's blocked right.

I feel it would be great if we could establish a pipeline between KC and Austin and get 2 or 3 more Longhorns in Chiefs' uniforms. I'd love it if we could somehow land Okam, Aaron Ross and Terrell Brown. As you said, Ross is a pretty good kick returner. From what I can tell, both Ross and Brown need some development. But who better to learn from that Herm, Surtain and Law? You can't find better teachers than that anywhere.

I really like Dante Hall. But his effectiveness as a kick returner may be running out. He had one pretty good return last week and a return for TD in the 49er game. But for the most part this year he hasn't been very effective. He's never really been a natural receiver. I really hate to say it, but maybe it's time we start considering moving Dante? Frank Ganz Jr. is out there in Baltimore. Maybe the Ravens can give us a mid-round pick for Dante? Plus, wouldn't it make sense if we could land a kick returner like Aaron Ross who is a better CB than Dante is a WR to fill Dante's role and more? And we also have Jeff Webb who almost broke one on his first ever return and has the potential to be a much better receiver than Dante. Just a thought.

I've been one of the many around town calling Jordan Black "Highway 65". But his play the past few weeks hasn't been bad. In fact, it's bordering on being good. He's held up pretty well against 3 pretty good defenses these past 3 weeks. I'm not saying he's definitely our LT of the future or not try to upgrade that spot if we have the chance at some one like Sam Baker. But I've been one of his harshest critics and even I have to say he's shown relatively well of late.

I still contend that D-Tackle is still a major weakness on this team. This is Sims' 5 year in KC, has been relagated to backup duty, and is looking more and more like he won't be here next year. Reed and Edwards are average at best (although I like Ron Edwards' size). Jimmy Wilkerson has shown well at D-Tackle but isn't some one you want starting.

Having said that, if I were Carl Peterson I'd sign OT-Leonard Davis and DT-Terdell Sands as UFAs in March. Then in the draft I'd go:

Round 1. Frank Okam - DT - 6'5" 320 lbs out of Texas
Round 2. Amobi Okoye - DT - 6'1" 317 lbs out of Louisville
Round 3. Aaron Ross - CB - 6'1" 192 lbs out of Texas
Round 4. I assume went to the Michael Bennett trade.
Round 5. Terrell Brown - CB - 6'0" 200 lbs out of Texas
Round 6. Brian Smith - OLB/DE - 6'4" 230 lbs out of Mizzou (I have him as a 6th because of his injury and lack of size, but could be a steal)
Round 7. Best WR you can get.

As I mentioned I would have Leonard Davis at RT with Will Svitek backing him up. I'd have Jordan Black at LT with Chris Terry backing him up. I'd move Welbourn to RG to replace Will Shields with Tre Stallings backing him up. Of course Brian Waters at LG with Bober backing him up. Of course Weigmann at Center with Rudy Niswanger backing him up.

On the defensive side, between Okam, Okoye, Sands and perhaps Ron Edwards, we should have enough youth and size to jam things up in the middle pretty good. Thus freeing up Allen, Hali and the LBs to do their things. Aaron Ross, Terrell Brown, Marcus Maxey, Benny Sapp and possibly Alphonso Hodge should give us a pretty good pool of young CBs to choose from. Brian Smith could be a pretty good situational pass rusher/OLB (Plus I'm a Mizzou fan and think it would be nice to have a Tiger on the Chiefs). Can never have too much pass rush. Would also give us a reason to get rid of Kendrell Bell.

Of course, this is all subject to change depending on who gets re-signed, who gets let go, who does what at the combine, trades, etc. But as things stand right now, this is how I'd manage the offseason based on needs.

gballs
11-27-2006, 01:59 PM
You're right on, but I still think we need to pick up a WR in the first. Okam is up in down in my book. I think if Branch isn't there then we look for Jake Long/Sam Baker. You made a good point about the pulling guard, so the Davis thing makes a lot of sense. He could be a solid RT for us. I would like to see us take Baker or Long in the first, Okoye in the second and the best possible WR in the third. I like the thought of Ross though as well, he's a great cover corner and has made some awesome plays in the past. So if he was there in the third, I wouldn't mind that either. We really need a number 1 WR though, and there aren't any to be had through FA.

KaneMarko
11-27-2006, 04:17 PM
I'd love to get a game breaking WR too in the first. And if Ted Ginn Jr is sitting there on the board when we pick, I think we should absolutely go after him. I'm just doubting if Herm would do that. Trent has only thrown something like 38 passes in the last two games versus us running the ball nearly 80 times. With Herm's emphasis on running the ball and ball control, he might not feel the need to spend a high pick on a WR when the focus of the offense is #27.

So, I agree with you that it would be great to spend a high pick on a gamebreaker at WR. We've never really had one and it would be nice to have a true #1 WR. But I'm just not sure I see Herm spending a high pick on one.

TAMBA is HUNGRY!!!!
11-27-2006, 05:55 PM
I don't know about Leonard Davis. Arizona's running attack is absolutely awful. Even if he moves to guard, it's a risk. With the future of our offense, I don't know if an expensive, underachieving lineman is what we need at the moment.

gballs
11-27-2006, 08:13 PM
I do like Ted Ginn, but I would like to see us go after a taller WR in possibly the 2nd or 3rd. Ginn would be a number 1, but I'm a huge fan of the "larger wide outs" and we need one pretty bad. That down field threat needs to be there for us in my opinion, and with how deep the draft is in wide outs I think we can get a keeper. You've got a point with how conservative Herm is and whether or not he would draft a WR with a high pick or try to grind it out with what we've already got.

BPhilb
11-27-2006, 10:04 PM
I do like Ted Ginn, but I would like to see us go after a taller WR in possibly the 2nd or 3rd. Ginn would be a number 1, but I'm a huge fan of the "larger wide outs" and we need one pretty bad. That down field threat needs to be there for us in my opinion, and with how deep the draft is in wide outs I think we can get a keeper. You've got a point with how conservative Herm is and whether or not he would draft a WR with a high pick or try to grind it out with what we've already got.

I would not be suprised too see us draft another running back before we draft a WR. I'm not saying I necissarily agree, but if Johnson would have been hurt in the Arizona game I doubt we would have had more than 3 wins at this point of the season and more depth might be in order because Bennett has always gotten hurt when asked to carry the full load.

eazyb81
11-28-2006, 11:09 AM
I don't know about Leonard Davis. Arizona's running attack is absolutely awful. Even if he moves to guard, it's a risk. With the future of our offense, I don't know if an expensive, underachieving lineman is what we need at the moment.

I tend to agree, i'm not sure how much of an upgrade Leonard Davis will be for us. I'm sure it's not all his fault, but Arizona's Oline is awful.

gballs
11-28-2006, 07:21 PM
He was a damn good lineman in college and he's still in his prime. Mike Solari, despite his sometime questionable play calling, is a great Oline coach. Give him somebody like Davis and I bet he could turn him into a solid RT.

KaneMarko
11-29-2006, 12:54 PM
He was a damn good lineman in college and he's still in his prime. Mike Solari, despite his sometime questionable play calling, is a great Oline coach. Give him somebody like Davis and I bet he could turn him into a solid RT.

I'd have to agree. I'm not saying Davis is guaranteed to be an all-pro RT. But Solari and Matsko (Matsko coached both Roaf and Pace into pro-bowlers) are two of the best O-Line coaches in the business. If Solari can turn Jordan Black into a half-way decent LT and Waters into a pro-bowler and get Weigmann to play at a semi-pro-bowl level, why can't he turn Davis into a decent RT? Keep in mind that both Waters and Weigmann were both undrafted. Davis, I believe, was the #2 overall pick in 02 and had a lot of talent coming out of college. I know the Cardinals' o-line has been atrocious this year. But I'm not sure it's all Davis' fault.

I say, if he's available, let's go after him. For me, it's not really about him, per se. I'm just tired of the revolving door we've had at RT since Tait left. I just want some one we know will be there available to play. And looking at Davis' career games played on NFLdotCOM, he's only missed something like 5 games in 6 years. Whereas Welbourn has already been suspended twice since he's been here and Sampson cannot seem to stay healthy for any length of time.

TAMBA is HUNGRY!!!!
11-29-2006, 07:46 PM
Leonard Davis will be too expensive. Plus, great college players don't always translate into great o-linemen.

Look at McNally in Buffalo. He is one of the best o-line coaches in the league. When he came aborad, everyone thought he could whip Mike Williams into shape, but you came make gold w/doo doo, no matter how hard you try.

Also, Solari isn't working exculsively w/ the o-line anymore. Who know how much input he will have w/ Leonard one-on-one.

I think he is just too risky.

gballs
11-29-2006, 09:17 PM
"If he comes at a reasonable price" I think is what we'll here when the FA signing period comes around. We do need to resign Allen and Mitchell and I think LJ is rolling up to some big bucks soon. We should have some good cap room because of Roaf and if Shields retires like we all expect. We do need to fire up some sort of a backup runningback, maybe a second day pick if not FA.

gballs
11-29-2006, 09:25 PM
Chew on this, from Bob Gretz at kcchiefs.com

"So far, Hali and Page have made the only major contributions from the class of ‘06. Hali has started all 11 games, while Page has two starts. The only other rookie who has played in all 11 games is second-round safety Bernard Pollard, who has done most of his work on special teams. Don’t be surprised if during the coming off-season, Pollard doesn’t get some work at weak side linebacker."

KaneMarko
11-30-2006, 08:52 AM
Also, Solari isn't working exculsively w/ the o-line anymore. Who know how much input he will have w/ Leonard one-on-one.

I think he is just too risky.

Very true. Solari probably isn't as directly involved in the O-Line as he has been in years past. But John Matsko is. Matsko had a major hand in the development of two HOF caliber tackles in Willie Roaf and Orlando Pace when they were both puppies. Kansas City would be situation where Davis would be surrounded by 2 O-Line geniuses in Solari and Matsko as well as at least two great O-Linemen in Waters and Weigmann.

I feel if he isn't asking for Orlando Pace money then Davis might be a pretty good candidate for us to bring in a finally solidify that right side.

eazyb81
11-30-2006, 09:35 AM

"So far, Hali and Page have made the only major contributions from the class of ‘06. Hali has started all 11 games, while Page has two starts. The only other rookie who has played in all 11 games is second-round safety Bernard Pollard, who has done most of his work on special teams. Don’t be surprised if during the coming off-season, Pollard doesn’t get some work at weak side linebacker."

I thought Pollard at OLB was a legit move when we drafted him since there was some concern about his ability in coverage. He is a tackling machine and would be a very mobile OLB in this defense. I'm all for it if it can get him on the field and get Bell off it.

T-RICH49
11-30-2006, 10:46 AM

I thought Pollard at OLB was a legit move when we drafted him since there was some concern about his ability in coverage. He is a tackling machine and would be a very mobile OLB in this defense. I'm all for it if it can get him on the field and get Bell off it.

I agree.Pollard taking over for Bell a Mitchell, Pollard, DJ LB core ain't so bad.and Page and Wesley at S gives us two playmakers back there

btw.......How bad is everyone else getting hit by the snow

effthiskid11
11-30-2006, 08:35 PM
The snow is terrible dude it's oright tho JCCC got closed

T-RICH49
11-30-2006, 09:20 PM
It seems like I have a foot of snow already it's been going nonstop

villagewarrior
12-01-2006, 02:33 PM
Pollard at linebacker is something I suspected might happen back in April. I think he would be very much like Derrick Brooks in that role.

KaneMarko
12-01-2006, 02:51 PM
Did anyone else read the article in the Star yesterday about Ryan Sims? It really sounds like his time here runs out at the end of the season. I know he has been a huge disappointment. And I still strongly standby the fact that he wasn't the D-Tackle I wanted in 02 (I personally wanted either Haynesworth or Henderson). But he seems like a genuinely nice kid. He hasn't even come close to living up to his draft status. And showing up to OTA's drastically overweight is not a good way to make a good impression on a new coaching regime.

Like I said, he has been a pretty big disappointment in the 5 years he's been here. But I don't think he's as bad as some make him out to be. He has SOME talent. Not enough to warrant the 6th overall pick. Especially when you compare him to the talent the super D-Tackle that was taken 6th overall the year before Sims.

I believe Sims still has 2 years left on a 7 year deal after this season. If he is to be gone after this year, I'd like to see us make a trade and get something, ANYTHING for him. Especially since with Sims gone and Edwards/Reed both on 1 year deals it's going to leave us terribly thin at tackle. I had an idea. What about making a straight up trade with the Titans sending them Sims and giving us Haynesworth? I know Haynesworth has done some terrible things. And I know he has baggage. And I know it may seem like trading one headache for another. But I've always thought he is a very talented D-Tackle. Gun seems really high on him for I have heard him mention his name on more than one occaision. Perhaps both of these young tackles just need a change of scenery. I know it's a wild idea. But it was just a thought.

Anyway, check out the article if you are interested. It's online on the KCStar website's sports section.

T-RICH49
12-01-2006, 08:30 PM
I say go after Okam or Okoye in the draft if not both.I really like both and Branch definately won't be there when we select

eazyb81
12-03-2006, 11:57 AM
Bennett better get at least 10 carries today or I am going to be pissed. Herm can't ride LJ for 30+ every game or he will definitely wear down come playoff time. We traded for Bennett this season, we should use him more often.

T-RICH49
12-03-2006, 04:03 PM
I am so sick to my stoamch.There is no way we should have lost

gballs
12-03-2006, 05:05 PM
Somebody please talk the gun out of my mouth. I can't believe this loss. Suppose to be the lay-up of the year and we choke. Who wants to talk about next year with me?

gballs
12-03-2006, 05:05 PM
I also cracked us into page 5 with my BS.

BPhilb
12-03-2006, 06:07 PM
Somebody please talk the gun out of my mouth. I can't believe this loss. Suppose to be the lay-up of the year and we choke. Who wants to talk about next year with me?

This obviously hurt, but the key to the season is going to be winning our remaining home games as well as the Oakland game. It's so obvious that we are just a different team at home. The suprising part about today's game is that our defense appeared almost tired and beat up and we just came off a ten day rest.

gballs
12-03-2006, 07:32 PM
That's true about the D and we are a different team at home.

T-RICH49
12-03-2006, 07:51 PM
one thing I did enjoy today was Tony G shutting KW2 up about who the best TE in football is

villagewarrior
12-04-2006, 01:33 AM
The Chiefs showed their serious lack of a defensive tackle against Cleveland. When they don't blitz anyone the offense just double teams Allen and Hali and our tackles don't do jack to get a pass rush. Way too much time in the pocket. And our tackling was horrible again.

KaneMarko
12-04-2006, 09:37 AM
I'm a bit disgusted about yesterday's loss on so many levels it ain't funny. We let the 31st ranked offense and a BACKUP QB rack up 400+ yards and 31 points on our supposed "improved" defense. This defense isn't improved. It's more expensive than it was last year as far as player salaries. And it may be slightly better at home in Arrowhead. But this defense isn't drastically improved.

Gonzo, LJ and Fast Eddie all had over 100 yards yesterday. And we still lost. How in the world does that happen? Oh...I know. We don't tackle and we let the QB sit in the pocket long enough to read War and Peace before he has to pass the ball. That's how.

I think anyone that has anything to do with defense on this team needs to have their feet held to the fire. The offense did what it needed to win. In my view, this one falls on the shoulders of the defensive staff and players.

Is it just me does it seem like Gunther and Krumrie never call any defensive line stunts to get pressure? It just seems like every snap all 4 linemen are instructed to just fire straight ahead and try to beat the guy directly in front of you. Perhaps that's the reason why we can't get consistent pressure. There's really no mystery in how our D-Linemen are going to attack the O-Line. Perhaps that is why they are so easy to block.

I love Gunther Cunningham. But perhaps he's a major part of the problem with this defense. Since he came back in 04 he's been given just about everything he's wanted. Kendrell Bell, Ty Law, Surtain, Mitchell, Fox, Siavii, DJ, Wesley, Knight, Hali, Allen, Page, Pollard, Ron Edwards, Reed, Lenny Walls, Sapp, Maxey, eveything. And he still cannot field a consistently sound defense. He made a comment last offseason about needing more 1st day picks on defense. Well, he had plenty of first day picks on defense. Kendrell Bell, Law, Mitchell, Fox, Siavii (although no longer on the team), DJ, Hali, Pollard, Ron Edwards, Bartee, Wesley, Sims, and Surtain are all 1st day picks that have his fingerprints on them either through draft or free agency. And he still cannot field a consistently sound defense. Over the offseason, the story we got was that the defensive assistants he inherited from the Greg Robinson regime were bad. So he was allowed to go out and HAND SELECT his own defensive staff and got Krumrie, Blackmon, and Gibbs. Even got a defensive minded head coach that he's worked with before and admires. Like I said, I love Gun and all. But maybe it's finally time that he has his feet held to the fire because he's pretty much the only constant with this defense. Yes, we have a major problem of lack of talent at D-Tackle that needs to be corrected this offseason. And I'm a firm believer that you have to win up front to win in this league. But Gun, for the most part, has been given some pretty solid, and expensive, pieces to work with everywhere else that he has chosen. So I have to ask, is he what is wrong with this defense?

Perhaps it's just the frustration of yesterday's events coming out. But something really needs to change with this team. 8 times in 9 years we've been on the outside looking in for the playoffs. And in a league built on parity where teams like Carolina can go 1-15 one year and play in the SB the next, only making the playoffs once in nearly 10 years is far beyond unacceptable. And something, somewhere, needs to change with this team. Hell, the Jets were like 4-12 last year and are in the driver seat to make the playoffs as a wildcard this year ahead of us after we went 10-6 last season.

KaneMarko
12-04-2006, 09:53 AM
I say go after Okam or Okoye in the draft if not both.I really like both and Branch definately won't be there when we select

Totally agree with you on Okam and Okoye. Although during the Louisville game this past weekend the announcers said Amobi had gotten his weight down to 290 pounds because he felt he needed more quickness off the ball. Which is cool in college. But I think at that weight he may get pushed off the ball a lot on the NFL level. Espeically at only 6'1". I'd still love it if we could snag him in the draft because I feel he can be a quality interior lineman for us. But I'd like to see him up around 310-315 pounds.

BPhilb
12-04-2006, 11:05 AM
It was a bad day for our defense, but overall this season we can't complain with the improvment that has been made. For the most part they have kept us in games. Your right about not getting any pressure up front, and this happenes every time Hali comes out of the game. We obviously need more depth on the DLine and will probably spend 2 picks in the draft addressing that. The biggest thing I thought is that we struggled to run the ball with the lead. That killed us as we were not able to control the clock. We just don't have the line we are used to that could dominate the line even when the defense knew what was coming. All things said we should be happy that we are even in playoff contention with the current roster and hopefully we will feel better about our chances after next Sunday.[/quote]

KaneMarko
12-05-2006, 09:32 AM
Does anyone think Adam Carriker would make a good Chief? It seems he would give our D-Line some depth and flexibility. At his size he appears to be able to play 3-4 DE or 4-3 NT. I don't know a whole lot about him. Just wondering if he could give us help on the D-Line.

eazyb81
12-05-2006, 11:09 AM
God this team sucks. I am so sick of watching us piss down our leg on the road. I really think the homefield advantage at Arrowhead makes us think each year's team is better than they really are.

The true test of a team is when they go on the road, and we have failed in that aspect like we have done the past few years. I'm almost hoping we don't make the playoffs this year so we don't have to watch another opening round playoff loss.

BPhilb
12-05-2006, 02:00 PM
I'm almost hoping we don't make the playoffs this year so we don't have to watch another opening round playoff loss.

You really don't mean that I would bet. I don't think we are going to make it but am holding out hope. The one thing that we have going for us this year as opposed to past years is that on the road we have been "in" every game other than against Pittsburgh. With LJ I think we would at least have a fighting chance if we could get in. I actually would like the opprotunity to take on the Colts given there problems stopping the run and though we would probably lose there would be some favorable matchup's for us. If you can get to the dance you never know.

T-RICH49
12-05-2006, 02:08 PM
It was a bad day for our defense, but overall this season we can't complain with the improvment that has been made. For the most part they have kept us in games. Your right about not getting any pressure up front, and this happenes every time Hali comes out of the game. We obviously need more depth on the DLine and will probably spend 2 picks in the draft addressing that. The biggest thing I thought is that we struggled to run the ball with the lead. That killed us as we were not able to control the clock. We just don't have the line we are used to that could dominate the line even when the defense knew what was coming. All things said we should be happy that we are even in playoff contention with the current roster and hopefully we will feel better about our chances after next Sunday.[/quote]

I agre the D has only had 2 really bad games this year (this las week and Pittsburgh) we have still mad tremendous progress but we're 2 good DT's away from being a top 5 D IMHO

Splat
12-07-2006, 12:59 PM
You all ready for Trevor Pryce to own our line like last year?

KaneMarko
12-08-2006, 10:48 AM
It isn't just Trevor Pryce I'm worried about. Terrell Suggs, Haloti Ngata and Adalius Thomas can also raise some serious hell. Not to mention Bart Scott and Ray Lewis. Not to mention the fact that they have 3 pro-bowlers in their secondary.

This game really worries me because the Ravens have the talent to come into Arrowhead and embarrass us on both sides of the ball if we don't bring it. The Ravens have a lot of guys on that defense who are pro-bowl caliber. And their offense has some playmakers when it's clicking.

I remember a game back in the early 90s when Pittsburgh came into Arrowhead and beat us 30-3. I know we haven't lost a home game in December since 99. But if we don't come with a sound gameplan and great execition on both sides of the ball the Ravens have the talent to beat us pretty soundly. If we play our game and don't make mistakes, we can win. If not, they'll beat us. In other words, if we play anything like we did last week in Cleveland the Ravens will embarrass us.

villagewarrior
12-08-2006, 05:42 PM
I agree. To me this game is more frightening then the Cleveland game, and we all know how that turned out.

12-10-2006, 11:56 AM
good luck yall

12-10-2006, 02:07 PM
dang what happened to L.J.? Trevor Pryce is dominating u guys/ 6.2 tackles so far

12-10-2006, 02:44 PM
gg yall got owned.........

ccB
12-10-2006, 03:06 PM
gg yall got owned......... Dude theres no need for you to come on there bored and disrespect their team. Your making us Ravens fans look bad.

Larry Johnson played well. The defense played well. The ravens just controlled the clock in the 4th quarter. Good game.

Ravens1991
12-10-2006, 03:25 PM
gg yall got owned......... Dude theres no need for you to come on there bored and disrespect their team. Your making us Ravens fans look bad.

Larry Johnson played well. The defense played well. The ravens just controlled the clock in the 4th quarter. Good game.

QFT please dont do that no need to be like that, but good game everybody.

YouNeverKnow
12-11-2006, 01:41 AM
The Chiefs played a pretty good game. The Defense played better then I expected, I think all of the turnovers in the first half really hurt them though, especially on the 9 minute drive. It seemed like they were getting pretty tired after the first few first downs.
Much like the Flea Flicker for us against the Bengals, the bomb to Clayton really just put the game away when before it seemed like that there was an opportunity for a comeback.
I was quite impressed with LJ today, he really can cut and bounce it back, but the line has regressed a lot without Roaf in it. Though our line would be even worse without Ogden. I think if the Chiefs had been playing a mediocre run defense LJ would have put up 170 for the day.
Good luck the rest of the ways Chiefs, don't lose hope and a win against SD would be greatly appreciated.

KaneMarko
12-11-2006, 09:37 AM
That may have been the second to last nail in our season yesterday. I think the final nail will probably come next week in San Diego.

I think if Carl Peterson and Herm want a blueprint on how to make this team a contender again, they better have taken good notes yesterday and be prepared to take even more notes next week in San Diego. Because I think one of those teams is going to the SB this year. And seeing as how the NFC is a little on the weak side, one of them has a very good shot at hoisting the Lombardi Trophy in February.

The Ravens just looked downright impressive yesterday. And I have to admit I was jealous because that's exactly how I want the Chiefs to play. Excellent defense and an offense that is efficient and doesn't make many mistakes. To me, that is how you win this time of year. Vermeil's fast break offense was fun and exciting. But the way you win this time of year is being able to go into another team's yard and smacking them in the mouth. And that is exactly what the Ravens did to us yesterday. It's been years since we've been able to do that. And I think our front office needs to exhaust every resource imaginable to get this team to the level of the Ravens and Chargers.

Tell you one thing though. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the AFC Championship game is Baltimore versus San Diego. And that game may actually be for the Super Bowl. No disrespect intended toward the NFC contenders. But Baltimore and San Diego look that damn good.

Splat
12-11-2006, 10:57 AM
The season is over now you don't have to wait till next week.

villagewarrior
12-13-2006, 10:08 AM
I guess if the Chiefs win out they can still make the playoffs. Don't know if I want them to, but it's still inside the realm of possibility.

Speaking of wanting the Chiefs to do things, does anyone else want them to draft 3 defensive tackles? Scratch that, maybe they should spend every pick on offensive and defensive line, because we need major retooling along both of them. The only players I see as legit starters moving into the future is Waters on the o line and Allen and Hali on the defense. Obviously, we need more.

villagewarrior
12-13-2006, 04:39 PM
I know we already have a pretty good middle linebacker in Kawika Mitchell, but would you all say about the Chiefs drafting Patrick Willis in the first? I know we have bigger needs, but I think it's very possible he could be the best player available when we pick.

He also brings alot to the defense that we don't have already. He's fiery and flies around, and he doesn't just lay the wood, he'll come up and smack someone and finish and take the guy to the ground. I don't know, middle linebacker is about the last position we should be thinking about, but the good teams usually draft best player available and I'm thinking he'll be the best when we make our selection.

adschofield
12-13-2006, 09:46 PM
He wouldn't fit in the Cover 2, I would rather see us take Amobi Okoye, he is a beast

Splat
12-14-2006, 09:09 AM
RIP Mr.Hunt.

T-RICH49
12-14-2006, 06:50 PM
This is even sadder then DT's passing

villagewarrior
12-14-2006, 08:07 PM
Thanks, Mr. Hunt, for bringing football to KC and giving all of us something to cheer (and *****) about.

gballs
12-15-2006, 11:14 AM
When I was a kid I got to sit in Mr. Hunt's box once. My dad was on the school board and we got invited by him. Anyway, me being an eight year old, I got to meet Mr. Hunt and shake his hand. When I did it I saw his Super Bowl ring and, since I was eight I didn't really understand it, asked him to see it. Mr. Hunt took it off and let me wear his ring. Even though it may not sound like that big of a deal, it is one of the memories that I will never relinquish. He was such a great man and for the entire game, if I bumped into him, he would ask me if I wanted cotton candy or whatever. I mean the fact that he would pay that kind of attention to an eight year old will stick with me forever. He was such an incredible person. I'm going to miss him.

"He was one of the most considerate, one of the most thoughtful and one of the most visionary people you could ever deal with."

Paul Tagliabue

villagewarrior
12-18-2006, 01:10 AM
Well, the Chiefs are dead. Sure, they can make the playoffs, but they won't do anything with a berth. Typical Chiefs though, play well enough not to get a high draft pick, don't play well enough to win a Super Bowl. Sigh.

At this point, I'm not a big fan of the cover 2 defense. We've seen it really work only in one place, Tampa Bay. The 3-4 seems a lot more dominant to me, San Diego, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, even Cleveland all employ the 3-4, and all of these defenses gave us a lot of trouble.

It also seems to me the Chiefs have more good linebackers than defensive linemen. Those are just one man's observations.

KaneMarko
12-18-2006, 09:51 AM
I guess if the Chiefs win out they can still make the playoffs. Don't know if I want them to, but it's still inside the realm of possibility.

Speaking of wanting the Chiefs to do things, does anyone else want them to draft 3 defensive tackles? Scratch that, maybe they should spend every pick on offensive and defensive line, because we need major retooling along both of them. The only players I see as legit starters moving into the future is Waters on the o line and Allen and Hali on the defense. Obviously, we need more.

If the Chiefs spend any of their first 3 or 4 draft picks on any posistion that doesn't end in the word "tackle", I'm gonna be very upset. You can have all the "backs", "receivers", and "ends" you want. But if you cannot dominate up front then you aren't going anywhere. Look at the best teams in the league like SD, Baltimore, etc. What do they have in common? Dominance up front. The Chiefs are mediocre up front. Yes, we have some good pieces like Allen, Hali and Waters. But outside of that, we are very mediocre up front. And that is why we will be sitting at home, AGAIN, in January and why teams like Baltimore, and San Diego will be playing for chances to go to the Super Bowl.

I guess the only bright side to all this mess is that at the rate we are going we may be picking in the top 15 in April. Which would give us a chance to get a blue chip offensive or defensive tackle. If we end up picking in the top 15 and if there is any chance we can trade up and get Alan Branch or Sam Baker, the Chiefs better be doing it.

villagewarrior
12-18-2006, 05:49 PM

If the Chiefs spend any of their first 3 or 4 draft picks on any posistion that doesn't end in the word "tackle", I'm gonna be very upset. You can have all the "backs", "receivers", and "ends" you want. But if you cannot dominate up front then you aren't going anywhere. Look at the best teams in the league like SD, Baltimore, etc. What do they have in common? Dominance up front. The Chiefs are mediocre up front. Yes, we have some good pieces like Allen, Hali and Waters. But outside of that, we are very mediocre up front. And that is why we will be sitting at home, AGAIN, in January and why teams like Baltimore, and San Diego will be playing for chances to go to the Super Bowl.

I guess the only bright side to all this mess is that at the rate we are going we may be picking in the top 15 in April. Which would give us a chance to get a blue chip offensive or defensive tackle. If we end up picking in the top 15 and if there is any chance we can trade up and get Alan Branch or Sam Baker, the Chiefs better be doing it.

I don't think the Chiefs are in a position to trade up for just one guy, especially a guy like Branch. If maybe they were just one dominating d tackle away from going to the Super Bowl then they could do that, but right now they have too many holes all over the place to be trading picks away. In fact, I'm thinking they should try dumping some players and picking up draft picks.

DollarBill3181
12-20-2006, 04:48 PM
I don't think the Chiefs are in a position to trade up for just one guy, especially a guy like Branch. If maybe they were just one dominating d tackle away from going to the Super Bowl then they could do that, but right now they have too many holes all over the place to be trading picks away. In fact, I'm thinking they should try dumping some players and picking up draft picks.[/quote]

I agree, a guy like DeMarcus "Tank" Tyer will easily fall to us, and he was part of the line that sent Mario Williams (HOU), Manny Lawson (SF), and John McCargo (BUF) in the first round last year, Tyler elected not to go.

I still think a WR could help us, esp if Ginn Jr. or Jarrett are still avail. (Calvin wont be obv.)

villagewarrior
12-21-2006, 05:38 PM
I'm not sure who I'd rather have, Ginn or Jarrett. I really like Ginn, sure he has some negatives, but that speed and elusiveness is something you just can't teach. And Jarrett's size is obviously a big plus. I'd be happy with either.

Wyndham
12-22-2006, 05:28 AM
I'd prefer Ginn if the Chiefs choose to go with a receiver.

Ideally, though, I'd like to see them add talent to both the offensive and defensive lines.

KaneMarko
12-22-2006, 12:34 PM
I'd prefer Ginn if the Chiefs choose to go with a receiver.

Ideally, though, I'd like to see them add talent to both the offensive and defensive lines.

Ginn or Jarrett? I like them both. I've always tended to prefer the bigger receivers. But Ginn's speed and playmaking ability is off the chains. And Jarrett offers us something we don't currently have on our offense. Size, physicality and a redzone threat at receiver. If Jarrett can run the 40 much faster than the 4.6 Scott has him listed as on his profile, I'd go with Jarrett. Otherwise I'd go with Ginn.

We definitely need upgrades on both lines. Particularly offensive and defensive tackle. Can't really think of too many FA D-Tackles that are going to be available. Terdell Sands is expected to be a FA in March. Wouldn't mind bringing him back to KC. He'll probably never be a star. But at 6'7" 331, he'd be a pretty big rock in the middle of our D-Line. Something we really don't have right now. I've been watching him very closely this year and he hasn't looked bad. And I think he's still pretty young at 27/28 years old. Might not be a bad idea to bring him in.

I know saying his name is like saying a 4-letter word these day and he's kinda thought of as the boogey man, but I wonder if we could pull some kinda deal to bring Albert Haynesworth here. I know he's a headcase, but I think Herm can reach him. Maybe send the Titans Sims for Haynesworth? Gun has always been high on Albert. Between Haynesworth and Sands, we'd have 2 tall, wide bodies to clog running lanes and push the pocket. Something we currently do not have.

Wild ideas I know. Just some thoughts to maybe solve our D-Tackle issues.

As far as our O-Tackle issues. I still like the thought of getting Leonard Davis. Seen a few Cards games and he's pretty much held his own. Another name I like (that I think some one mentioned in this thread earlier) is Tony Pashos of the Ravens. He's set to be a FA in March. Held his own against Tamba a couple weeks ago.

Just a few thoughts to maybe help improve our team.

T-RICH49
12-24-2006, 10:14 AM
Jared Page was a beast last night. 1 sack and 2 INT's.If it were'nt for Colston he would be the best 7th round pick in this past year's draft

villagewarrior
12-24-2006, 11:09 PM
Merry Christmas friends! :D

T-RICH49
12-25-2006, 09:09 AM
Merry Christmas friends! :D

Merry Christmas to you too :D

villagewarrior
12-29-2006, 12:23 AM
Last game of the year coming up. It's amazing, it seems like only a short while ago I was anxiously awaiting the arrival of the season, and now it's almost over. One of the saddest times of the year.

BPhilb
12-29-2006, 11:37 AM
Last game of the year coming up. It's amazing, it seems like only a short while ago I was anxiously awaiting the arrival of the season, and now it's almost over. One of the saddest times of the year.

Though also one of the most exciting. It's going to be an interesting offseason for us and we have a lot of holes to fill. That said we are closer to being a playoff team I believe than I would have thought coming into the year. We actually have some decent young talent in house now and get to build with something.

villagewarrior
12-29-2006, 06:20 PM
I'm not sure if I'd entirely agree with you that we are close. We need to basically construct a whole new offensive and defensive line as well as acquire two wide receivers. That process will take a few years, by the time that is done, the old secondary will need to be replaced, as well as Trent and Huard will both be gone by then. It'll take a few more years to replace them, and by then LJ will be a broken down, 30+ year old running back.

I think the team needs to be blown up now. This starts with CP, he's not gonna be with us past 2009, so Clark needs to move him out, or give him a one year ultimatum to win it all. I know, it's not going to happen, but in my opinion, that's what needs to happen.

art vandelay
12-30-2006, 11:40 AM
How has Jeff Webb looked so far? He was one of my favorite prospects going into the draft.

villagewarrior
12-30-2006, 04:40 PM
How has Jeff Webb looked so far? He was one of my favorite prospects going into the draft.

Limited playing time. I'm high on him, as are alot of other Chiefs fans, although his inability to get any worth-while playing time with this pathetic corps of receivers the Chiefs have is very perplexing.

art vandelay
12-30-2006, 05:14 PM

Limited playing time. I'm high on him, as are alot of other Chiefs fans, although his inability to get any worth-while playing time with this pathetic corps of receivers the Chiefs have is very perplexing.

Thanks for the info...that's a good point about his lack of playing time, very confusing.

dukies9101
12-31-2006, 07:07 PM
One Word: PLAYOFFS

T-RICH49
12-31-2006, 07:15 PM
One Word: PLAYOFFS

YEAH BABY!!!

villagewarrior
12-31-2006, 07:33 PM
Wow, this is amazing! I couldn't imagine something like this happening!

Ho0k Em'
12-31-2006, 07:49 PM
HOLY ****! talk about everything falling in place. I haven't been this happy in a while.

Splat
12-31-2006, 07:55 PM
I still can't believe it they can't stop the run and Ty Law owns Peyton Manning lets go Chiefs.

rainbeaukid2
12-31-2006, 08:49 PM
your welcome :wink:

Splat
12-31-2006, 08:56 PM
I have to thank the Tank.

BPhilb
12-31-2006, 11:23 PM
Wow..The loss to Cleveland had put a bad taste in my mouth for a while but I have somewhat gotten over it today. An exciting game today and an amazing run of events gives next weekend some meaning. There is no good team to play in the AFC but if I had to pick one it would be Indy. Hopefully we can find a way to get a lead against them and control the clock.

villagewarrior
01-01-2007, 01:25 AM
Hopefully we can get some payback against those jerks. Sure, we've beaten them a few times in the regular season, but every time I think playoffs I can't help but think early exit thanks to the Colts.

GO CHIEFS!!! :D :twisted: :lol:

villagewarrior
01-01-2007, 05:56 PM
I watched the Arkansas game today, and I was very impressed with Tony Ugoh. Not a first round pick, but I think he could be a nice pick up in the 3rd or so. Not a left tackle, but I think he could play right tackle and/or either of the guard spots.

eazyb81
01-02-2007, 08:20 AM
Still can't believe we are in the playoffs.....for once, everything fell our way. Hopefully we can win just ONE game and end the damn postseason losing streak.

I'm looking forward to the Orange Bowl tonight, I want to get a good look at Okoye. With a stud DT, our defense has the potential to be a legit top 10 defense, which is necessary if we want to win playing Herm ball.

T-RICH49
01-02-2007, 09:51 AM
I am one who never believes in divine intervention when it comes to sports but somehow I think Lamar made sure tha ball bounced our way

villagewarrior
01-02-2007, 10:19 AM
Anyone else catch the Boise-Oklahoma game last night? Crazy, crazy game. One of the best I've ever seen. Zabransky is a guy I'd like the Chiefs to take a look at in the 5th or 6th rounds. He is tough, fiery, athletic, a leader, accurate; a good guy to add to the team and see if it's him or Croyle who will lead the team in the future.

BPhilb
01-02-2007, 11:17 AM
Anyone else catch the Boise-Oklahoma game last night? Crazy, crazy game. One of the best I've ever seen. Zabransky is a guy I'd like the Chiefs to take a look at in the 5th or 6th rounds. He is tough, fiery, athletic, a leader, accurate; a good guy to add to the team and see if it's him or Croyle who will lead the team in the future.

That was one heck of a football game, almost like watching a video game. I'm not sure about Zabransky as a pro as that system is somewhat condusive to big numbers but we could do worse. At this point though I'm not sure how comfortable I am with Green at the helm any longer. He just doesn't seem sharp right now and it might be time to take the team in another direction. I wouldn't be upset to see the Chiefs make a run at Leftwich if it doesn't get too costly as I think he would do well in the type of system we run in KC.

Did anyone see that Peterson put Dunn, Turley, and Scanlon on IR before the game Sunday to avtive some practice squad guys that they didn't want to risk losing. That's huge going into the Indy game as Dunn would have been huge for his run blocking in a game in which we might run the ball 50 times.

eazyb81
01-02-2007, 03:31 PM
Did anyone see that Peterson put Dunn, Turley, and Scanlon on IR before the game Sunday to avtive some practice squad guys that they didn't want to risk losing. That's huge going into the Indy game as Dunn would have been huge for his run blocking in a game in which we might run the ball 50 times.

Yes....Carl is an idiot. Losing Dunn for this game just sucks.

T-RICH49
01-03-2007, 09:50 AM
Chiefs/Jags will re air on NFL Network at 4:30 and 9:30 tonight

turninandburnin1
01-03-2007, 09:02 PM
dang wish i had NFL Network here at my dads i havent watched my chiefs play in 2 weeks cuz ive been at work. Luckily Ill get off at the same time the game starts Saturday.

GO CHIEFSSS BABBYYYYY

villagewarrior
01-03-2007, 09:52 PM

Can't bash Carl for this. No one in their right mind would have thought the Chiefs would make the playoffs. He was protecting younger talent.

eazyb81
01-04-2007, 09:01 AM

Can't bash Carl for this. No one in their right mind would have thought the Chiefs would make the playoffs. He was protecting younger talent.

Seems to me that of all people, the President and CEO of the team should have faith that we would make the playoffs. Losing Dunn for the playoffs is crucial.

Ho0k Em'
01-04-2007, 10:14 AM
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r109/JrGrayson/prod.jpg

Nigerian Nightmare II?

villagewarrior
01-04-2007, 07:19 PM

Seems to me that of all people, the President and CEO of the team should have faith that we would make the playoffs. Losing Dunn for the playoffs is crucial.

In my mind, it would be foolish for the General Manager of the team to risk losing good young players over the off-season on the off chance that the club would make the playoffs. What were the odds the Chiefs would get in? Almost 200-1 I thought I heard. Regardless of what Herm said, the Chiefs got very lucky to get in. Can't blame Carl on this one.

turninandburnin1
01-04-2007, 09:24 PM
Carl Peterson is a queeer

Nuff Said.

BehrenMan007
01-05-2007, 09:53 PM
pull the upset arrowheads

KC: 27
IND: 26

villagewarrior
01-05-2007, 10:20 PM
Carl Peterson is a queeer

Nuff Said.

Way to add to the convo. Nice job. :roll:

Splat
01-06-2007, 09:02 AM
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r109/JrGrayson/prod.jpg

Nigerian Nightmare II?

Thats Hot.

eazyb81
01-06-2007, 11:11 AM
I'm getting nervous.....I want to end this postseason losing streak to end!

T-RICH49
01-06-2007, 11:31 AM
IT'S GAMEDAY BABY!!!!!!!

eazyb81
01-06-2007, 01:41 PM
On ESPN, LJ said 40 carries is possible for today.

IMO, we need to mix it up with LJ and Bennett to keep the Indy D on their toes. LJ is obviously a beast, but Bennett can bring another dimension when he gets the ball. Bennett was born to run on turf, and I would like to see him get the ball in open space so he can turn on the jets and show off his 4.1 speed.

My hope is the our coordinators get creative today, rather than conservative. We need to pull out every trick in the book and both sides of the ball to win this game.

villagewarrior
01-06-2007, 03:01 PM
Jared and Tamba must come up huge today. Their pass rush will determine whether the Chiefs are successful defensively today.

eazyb81
01-06-2007, 03:27 PM
Jared and Tamba must come up huge today. Their pass rush will determine whether the Chiefs are successful defensively today.

I agree, and i'd also like to see DJ showcase his playmaking ability. To be honest, the entire defense needs to step up today....D-Line, LBs, and secondary. We can't have any holes if we hope to slow down Peyton.

T-RICH49
01-06-2007, 04:55 PM
The D has played well.Ty Law owns Manning

Philliez01
01-06-2007, 04:56 PM
Currently halftime, just want to wish you guys a good game thus far.

eazyb81
01-06-2007, 05:02 PM
I would type a message, but I just vomited on my keyboard after attempt at offense in the 1st half.

If Huard doesn't start the 2nd half, Herm will be forever branded as a coach that cannot make in-game adjustments.

SimonRath
01-06-2007, 05:03 PM
Your guys defense is doin pretty good.. 2 pics only 9 points allowed

PROBLEM is not your defense

sirsmokealot28
01-06-2007, 05:03 PM
they are so in this game i dont understand why they are passing the ball so much. they need to go back to pounding it out on the ground. the cant expect to continue to cause turnovers from manning.

SimonRath
01-06-2007, 05:36 PM
they are so in this game i dont understand why they are passing the ball so much. they need to go back to pounding it out on the ground. the cant expect to continue to cause turnovers from manning.

Holy hel they finally did something on offense

Space Ghost
01-06-2007, 06:16 PM
Why doesn't Key start for you guys? He is obviously better than Bell and might even be better in the middle than Mitchell who isn't too great either. Key is da man, why isn't he playing much? I noticed he at least got some PT this year.

eazyb81
01-06-2007, 06:21 PM
Why doesn't Key start for you guys? He is obviously better than Bell and might even be better in the middle than Mitchell who isn't too great either. Key is da man, why isn't he playing much? I noticed he at least got some PT this year.

He's not a MLB so he can't start for Mitchell, but I agree that he should start over Bell. Bell has done jack sh#t in KC and I expect Key to finally get a starting job once Bell leaves this offseason.

BehrenMan007
01-06-2007, 06:29 PM
Catches I made in the game: 0
Catches Chiefs WR made in the game: 0

wr were not involved in the offense

eazyb81
01-06-2007, 06:31 PM
Catches I made in the game: 0
Catches Chiefs WR made in the game: 0

wr were not involved in the offense

Probably because our WRs suck and Gonzalez is our true #1 receiver.

T-RICH49
01-06-2007, 10:04 PM
My ideal offseason and draft I think Trent retires and Sims, Knight, Bell, Bartee, Hicks and Parker are gone

FA:

re sign Gonzo, Allen and Huard
sign Leonard Davis or Tra Thomas(who I hear is a possible cap casuality)
sign Robaire Smith
sign Josh Brown

Draft:

Round 1. Amobi Okoye, DT, Louisville(I doubt there will be any good OT's to draft here)
Round 2. Doug Free, OT, NIU
Round 3. Craig Davis, WR, LSU
Round 5. Mason Crosby, K, Colorado(I don't know if he will be there but if he is then Crosby should be the pick cause Tynes sucks)
Round 6. Yamon Figurs, WR, K-State
Round 7. BPA

sirsmokealot28
01-07-2007, 03:31 AM
the chiefs need to blow a season or at least pick 1 free agent wr up in the off season. i mean last year stallworth was trade bait, you had randle el, givens, and SEVERAL other top .receivers ahem T.O. maybe they need to grow some balls in the front office and pay someone better than eddie kennison to play wide out. anyone remember when kennison was a number 4????

villagewarrior
01-07-2007, 11:49 AM
If someone offered a good deal for LJ, I'd take it. The Chiefs need significant retooling along both lines, which were dominated yesterday. Regardless of the Chiefs playoff appearance, they are closer to going 3-13 then going to the Super Bowl, and Will Shields will likely retire, so the line will be even worse unless it is given a major overhaul.

LJ could net a top 5 pick, we could be able to come away with a combo of Branch/Dorsey/Gaither.

T-RICH49
01-07-2007, 01:06 PM
I heard we may slap the franchise on Tony G.Has anyone else heard this yeat?I also heard the 49ers may make a run at Jared Allen this offseason as well

villagewarrior
01-07-2007, 01:44 PM
I heard we may slap the franchise on Tony G.Has anyone else heard this yeat?I also heard the 49ers may make a run at Jared Allen this offseason as well

I don't see the Niners being the team that takes him, especially with their 3-4 defense. He's not quick enough to play 34 outside backer and he isn't bulky enough to play 34 end.

I love TG and what he has done for the team in his career, but Jared Allen needs to be priority number one. He's younger, he's just beginning to scratch the surface of his potential, and we need all the defensive help we can get. If Allen goes, we BETTER get at least a 1st and a 3rd for him.

I would franchise TG only with the intention of trading him, especially if he is going to take a lot of money. The Chiefs are too old on offense to put a lot of money on an aging TE.

T-RICH49
01-07-2007, 03:31 PM

I don't see the Niners being the team that takes him, especially with their 3-4 defense. He's not quick enough to play 34 outside backer and he isn't bulky enough to play 34 end.

I love TG and what he has done for the team in his career, but Jared Allen needs to be priority number one. He's younger, he's just beginning to scratch the surface of his potential, and we need all the defensive help we can get. If Allen goes, we BETTER get at least a 1st and a 3rd for him.

I would franchise TG only with the intention of trading him, especially if he is going to take a lot of money. The Chiefs are too old on offense to put a lot of money on an aging TE.

If Tony is willing to take a little less then I think we should bring him back.He still put up some real good numbers this year.As for Allen I agree he is not a fit for a 3-4 team.A dominant pass rusher is hard to find

Ho0k Em'
01-07-2007, 05:13 PM
This is probably my ideal offseason

Re-sign
Damon Huard
Jared Allen
Kawika Mitchell
Kevin Sampson
Ron Edwards
Lawrence Tynes

Cut
Green(if he doesn't retire)
Dante Hall
Ryan Sims
Kendrell Bell
Sammy Knight

Retire
Shields
Green(hopefully)

Sign
A WR(Bennett, Curtis, Crayton)
Keith Traylor
A couple fill ins

Draft1. Amobi Okoye DT Louisville
2. Doug Free OT Northern Illinois
3. Drew Stanton QB Michigan State
4. Dallas Baker WR Florida
5. Tarell Brown CB Texas
6. BPA
7. BPA

Depth Chart

QB- Damon Huard, Drew Stanton, maybe Croyle
RB- Larry Johnson, Micheal Bennett
FB- Kris Wilson
TE- Tony Gonzalez, Jason Dunn, Kris Wilson
WR- Eddie Kennison, Drew Bennett, Jeff Webb, Dallas Baker
LT- Doug Free, Will Svitek
OG- Brian Waters, Chris Bober
C- Casey Weigmann, Chris Bober
OG- John Welbourn, Tre Stallings
OT- Kavin Sampson, Chris Terry

DE- Jared Allen, Jimmy Wilkerson
DT- Amobi Okoye, Stephen Williams Jr.
NT- Keith Traylor, Ron Edwards
DE- Tamba Hali, Jimmy Wilkerson
OLB- Derrick Johnson, Kris Griffin
MLB- Kawika Mitchell, Boomer Grigsby
OLB- Keyaron Fox, Kris Griffin
CB- Ty Law, Marcus Maxey
CB- Patrick Surtain, Tarell Brown
SS- Bernard Pollard, Greg Wesley
FS- Jarrad Page, Greg Wesley

I probably messed up in a couple places.

T-RICH49
01-07-2007, 05:47 PM
I hope we DON'T re sign Tynes.btw....does'nt Traylor still hate Carl for letting him go the 1st time?

Ho0k Em'
01-07-2007, 07:40 PM
We would've lost that game even if Tynes missed the FG. I don't think we'll find a better K in FA or the draft, and I don't want to spend a pick on a K either. I'm not sure.

villagewarrior
01-07-2007, 11:30 PM
Tynes shouldn't have missed, but we've invested a lot of time in him, and I think he'll only get better.

BPhilb
01-07-2007, 11:54 PM
One possability that I haven't heard mentioned yet is trading for Michael Vick. The Falcon's just siged Peterno and that doesn't seem like a great fit for Vick. Blank made the statment to all of the coaching candidates they interviewed that he was going to give the new coach the say on the long term future of Vick. Now Vick has his problems which we are all aware of, but he has been succesful in seasons in which the Falcon's had a good defense. I don't think we are far away from having a really good D and Vick coupled with Johnson would be brutal for opposing defenses and would mask many of the problems we now have on the line and at WR. It's a radical idea but one that shouldn't be dismissed. I don't like the idea of just having a crappy season and having a high draft position to replenish. It seems once you get down in the NFL it's tough to get back to the top. The last time we picked in the top 10 we got Ryan Sims and that hasn't exactly helped us. Just a thought..

T-RICH49
01-08-2007, 07:39 AM
only problem would be is our WR's drop as many passes as ATL's WR's do

eazyb81
01-08-2007, 08:37 AM
I think VW was the one that mentioned this, but keeping Jared Allen should be priority #1 this offseason, even before keeping Gonzo. As much as I hate to say it, trading Gonzo or LJ might not be the worst idea for this team. This team is old and needs an infusion of youth on offense. Using a tight end as the #1 receiver just doesn't work when your Oline sucks, and the Oline will continue to be subpar for at least the next year or two. We need a true deep threat to keep the defense honest, and our current crop of WRs are a joke in that regard.

We are heading in the right direction on defense, but we still need a DT, a young CB to groom for a starting role (Law and Surtain are getting old), and possibly a MLB if Mitchell walks.

IMO, we should not bring Green back and instead should pick up a free agent QB to start until we feel Croyle is ready. We need to bring in a deep threat WR and legit help on the offensive line (left tackle, center, and possibly more) through free agency or the draft. The offense was bad this year, but will be even worse next year if we don't make any significant changes.

T-RICH49
01-08-2007, 01:33 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_news.aspx?sport=NFL&line=87973&majteam=KC

Interesting that Herm seems to have given up on Green AFTER our season is over :evil: :evil:

villagewarrior
01-08-2007, 03:10 PM
I don't have a problem if the team wants to go another direction next year without Green, but if we are going to do it, start Croyle. This team is closer to going 3-13 then it is going to the Super Bowl, and neither Huard nor Green are the long term answer. Therefore, if a change is to be made, make it with Croyle, and see if he has what it takes to be this franchise's quarterback.

eazyb81
01-08-2007, 03:55 PM
I don't have a problem if the team wants to go another direction next year without Green, but if we are going to do it, start Croyle. This team is closer to going 3-13 then it is going to the Super Bowl, and neither Huard nor Green are the long term answer. Therefore, if a change is to be made, make it with Croyle, and see if he has what it takes to be this franchise's quarterback.

I agree only if Croyle is ready. If he's not ready, I see no harm in bringing in a stopgap guy similar to a Jeff Garcia or Jon Kitna to keep the spot warm until Croyle is ready.

A lot can happen between now and the start of next season, but Croyle has not looked good in the brief amount of playing time he has had. He may need some additional time to learn the nuances of the offense and gain additional strength.

DollarBill3181
01-08-2007, 07:53 PM

i totally agee

DollarBill3181
01-08-2007, 08:00 PM

Re-sign
Damon Huard
Jared Allen
Kawika Mitchell
Kevin Sampson
Ron Edwards
Lawrence Tynes

Cut
Dante Hall
Ryan Sims
Kendrell Bell
Sammy Knight

Retire
Shields
Green(hopefully)

Sign
Keith Traylor
A couple fill ins

5. Tarell Brown CB Texas
6. BPA
7. BPA

Depth Chart

FB- Kris Wilson

CB- Ty Law, Marcus Maxey

man ur a beast, i 99% agree...
Huard is a UFA, we could maybe get a better vet instead, but hes fine and 1st rd DT i liek DeMarcus Tyler (NC St) a little more
Stanton pick is kidna unnecessary as Croyle would be the future guy behind the FAvet, i like another WR there (Steve Smith, USC) or a LB there for depth

DollarBill3181
01-08-2007, 09:10 PM
I would not mind this draft

1. Frank Okam
2. Doug Free
3. Dallas Baker

Wow, i lvoe thsoe 2nd and 3rd round picks, i wouldnt mind DeMArcus Tyler at DT instead, or Sid Rice rd 1 and still get baker in 3, move parker to slot

Ho0k Em'
01-08-2007, 10:49 PM

Re-sign
Damon Huard
Jared Allen
Kawika Mitchell
Kevin Sampson
Ron Edwards
Lawrence Tynes

Cut
Dante Hall
Ryan Sims
Kendrell Bell
Sammy Knight

Retire
Shields
Green(hopefully)

Sign
Keith Traylor
A couple fill ins

5. Tarell Brown CB Texas
6. BPA
7. BPA

Depth Chart

FB- Kris Wilson

CB- Ty Law, Marcus Maxey

Huard is a UFA, we could maybe get a better vet instead, but hes fine and 1st rd DT i liek DeMarcus Tyler (NC St) a little more
Stanton pick is kidna unnecessary as Croyle would be the future guy behind the FAvet, i like another WR there (Steve Smith, USC) or a LB there for depth

I really don't think Croyle is the future, and I never have. I think Drew Stanton has everything you look for in a frachise QB he just needs to work on his decision making. I think Baker and Smith are alot alike except Smith has slightly better hands, and Baker has better size.

DollarBill3181
01-09-2007, 12:53 AM

Re-sign
Damon Huard
Jared Allen
Kawika Mitchell
Kevin Sampson
Ron Edwards
Lawrence Tynes

Cut
Dante Hall
Ryan Sims
Kendrell Bell
Sammy Knight

Retire
Shields
Green(hopefully)

Sign
Keith Traylor
A couple fill ins

5. Tarell Brown CB Texas
6. BPA
7. BPA

Depth Chart

FB- Kris Wilson

CB- Ty Law, Marcus Maxey

I really don't think Croyle is the future, and I never have. I think Drew Stanton has everything you look for in a frachise QB he just needs to work on his decision making. I think Baker and Smith are alot alike except Smith has slightly better hands, and Baker has better size.

i like Croyle, and so does KC management i hear, so i guess hes the guy

DollarBill3181
01-09-2007, 12:56 AM
Inhouse:
Clearing cap...
Cut - Offense: T.Green (if he doesnt retire).....Defense: K.Bell, S.Knight, R.Sims, G.Wesley
Definately ReSign - Offense: R.Cruz.....Defense: J.Allen, R.Edwards, K.Mitchell, J.Reed
Possibly ReSign (depending on FA) - Offense: D.Huard, S.Parker, J.Black, L.Tynes....Defense: R.Scanlon, K.Griffin
Let Walk: Any1 not mentioned thats goning to be a FA, esp D.Hall (ineffective as a KR/PR now, if he doesnt want much ya keep him, but he'll probly get big money froma tema with caproom looking for a simply a returner.
Tony Gonzalez situation - pay the man, but if it gets excesive, there is TE options in teh draft

Free Agency/Draft:
I'd go through our options in each but even starting with inhouse questions lead to different FA directions then of corse different Draft directions, so i'll go by position....

Offense:
QB - Decision of big future step can be delayed one year, Huard might go elsewhere for better money (Vet. FA #1 with Croyle learining to stary next yr, Printers #3)
RB - LJ (stop saying trade him, but wait on the extension, let him havea "contract year"), then Bennett #2 and possib Priest #3.
FB - R.Cruz is ok, K.Wilson did well......Brian LEonard (Rutgers) would be a nice Rd2 pick.
WR - Needs change, Sidney Rice is our best option (unless Jarrett fals or we trade up) cause there is no top FAs before cap-caualties, J.Webb is doing better and Kennison/Parker could be decent depth options still. MY call is to draft Rice #1.
TE - Gonzo, if he walks then Greg Olsen (MiaFL) and Zach Miller (AriSt) are draft options, Ben Utecht is a FA too (IND) Dunn is a decent #2 but not a starter and Wilson is alright, keeping it in-hosue is a possiblity if TG leaves but dangerous. My call is to kep Gonzo but if he leaves use the Rd1 pick on Rice and sign Ben Utecht.
OT - major change needed a tLT, Black os okay but needs to be replaced through FA, Leonard Davis would be the best call, we have decent in-house options at RT.
OG - Waters and Shields might retire, but we have Tre Stallings as oen replacement the other would have to come from FA or Rd2-3 of the draft would be the best option.
C - Casey Weigman might retire but doubtful, if so there are some FA centers and if not tehre 2-3 in the draft.

Defense:
DE - Hali good and get Allen back.
DT - Reed was a good find and Edwards was respected and missed in Buffalo (i live in buffalo lol) so we are ok there but a draftee in rds2-4 could help.
MLB - hes no star but Mitchell is great value, prob wont get any1 cheaper to do what he does, there are a few FA's, i dont recomend draft theres otehr needs like WR and OL needed there, maybe rd2 HB Blades (Pitt).
OLB - DJ on one side and K.Fox on the other (signa FA to add depth)
CB - Law, Surtain, sign a FA for depth, theres some decent potential out there.
S - PAge/Pollard is a great tandum, but get some depth behind them with Wesley/Knight gone whether it be day2 draft or FA.

Special Teams:
K - maybe Tynes, but theres FAs such as J.Brown, M.Stover, J.Scobee, etc.
P - Colquitt
KR/PR - J.Webb, or M.Bennett, or FA at CB or WR that could too)

FA/Draft:
FA - Sing a few depth fill-in's as well as possible holes mentioned up there.
Draft:
1-Sidney Rice (WR-SoCar)
2-H.B. Blades (MLB-Pitt).....if we dont resign Mitchell - if we do... draft rd2 OL
3-DT
Day2: OL, CB

*here's a list of 2007 FAs (that im referring to):
http://www.theredzone.org/2007/freeagents/

well, thats my call (forgive any sp errors it was long lol)

villagewarrior
01-09-2007, 08:31 AM
I wouldn't sign big-name, big money free agents. If we can start drafting consistently well then in a few years we will need the cap space to sign some of our young players, and signing a bunch of stopgaps in free agency this year is only going to handicap us later.

We must be rebuilt through the draft, not free agency.

BPhilb
01-09-2007, 09:08 AM

I would agree ecspecially in this year's free agent class which doesn't offer a whole lot in the way of talent but with the amount of cap room teams are holding there will be a lot of over-paying to get players in. Barring any trades I don't see a huge reason to mix it up. One of the great things about Edwards is he's going to give us a chance in every game even if we are on the short end of the talent pool.

Grizzlegom
01-09-2007, 10:07 AM
i dont think stanton would be there in the third and i would say croyle is your QB of the future.

KaneMarko
01-09-2007, 01:22 PM
I wouldn't sign big-name, big money free agents. If we can start drafting consistently well then in a few years we will need the cap space to sign some of our young players, and signing a bunch of stopgaps in free agency this year is only going to handicap us later.

Totally agree. We have to get to the point where we stop relying so much on giving big contracts to aging FA vets. If we are going to sign a FA or two, it's best if they are young and still in their primes. Giving out contracts to guys that are only going to only play for a couple years isn't smart in my view. One thing Herm said that I really like is you have to build through the draft. It's the only true way for long term success. Every year Dan Snyder spends tons of money on high priced FA's in an effort to buy a championship. Hasn't gotten him very far. If you look at the really successful teams in the NFL you'll notice that the bulk of their talent is home grown. And that's what the Chiefs have to get to. Yeah, a FA or two here or there can help. But eventually you have to make a commitment young players and build the bulk of your talent pool through the draft.

KaneMarko
01-09-2007, 01:24 PM
i dont think stanton would be there in the third and i would say croyle is your QB of the future.

I agree. Like I said in another thread, I don't think getting another QB is a high priority on this team. The word I hear out of Arrowhead is that Herm and the offensive coaches really like what Brodie Croyle brings to the table.

Basileus777
01-09-2007, 01:29 PM
I don't think we should resign Mitchell. He was good last year, but other than that has been a poor player. He doesn't fit the cover 2 and isn't worth spending any money on.

KaneMarko
01-09-2007, 01:57 PM
You all have a lot of good ideas about what the Chiefs should do this offseason to improve. Here's a rough draft, so to speak, of my ideas:

Let go:
Kendrell Bell - LB - 6'1" 245 lbs
Eric Hicks - DE - 6'6" 280 lbs
Samie Knight - SS - 6'0" 215 lbs
William Bartee - SS - 6'0" 200 lbs
Ryan Sims - DT - 6'4" 315 lbs

Trade scenarios
Kendrell Bell, Ryan Sims to the Titans for Albert Haynesworth

Might actually want to consider trading Greg Wesley. Not because Wesley is a bad player. But because Page and Pollard (The Killer P's) are cheaper and need to be on the field.

Might also consider trading Dante Hall. Not because he's a bad guy or anything. But he's not really a natural receiver. And his best days as a kick return ace may be behind him.

Offseason Acquisitions:
Leonard Davis - OT - 6'6" 366 lbs. The Cardinals' line over the last few years has been bad. A lot of it has to do with the fact that they had 3 different O-Line coaches in 3 years. And changed Ocs midway through the year. But as the season went on in 06, that line started to gel and they actually played pretty decently. Big Leonard is a huge mountain of a man and former #2 overall pick. He has good blocking ability. I wouldn't sign him as a LT. I'd put him on the right side.

Terdell Sands - DT - 6'7" 335 lbs. Former 7th round pick of the Chiefs. Started off his career very slow. But the past couple years has looked pretty solid for the Raiders. And to look solid playing for the Raiders is saying something. One thing that is missing on the Chiefs' front line is size. Which Sands has in abundance. Sands will probably never be a star like Henderson and Seymour. But he's a solid player. Very powerful. Has some athleticism. And is still young and in his prime. Shouldn't cost too much.

Albert Haynesworth - DT - 6'6" 320 lbs (thru trade from Titans). I know this kid is kinda thought of as the boogey man. And he does have his issues. But Herm is said to be good at handling problem children. Personally, I don't think lack of ability has ever been Albert's problem. Coming out of the draft I thought he was a more gifted D-Tackle than his teammate John Henderson (although I thought Henderson was the much better overall football player). Much like Chester McGlockton in that he is a physical specimen with great size, power, strength, and athleticism for the position. But also like McGlockton, lack of consistency (and other on the field stuff) has been his downfall. I still think the sky is the limit for this kid if he can ever get it together. Fortunately for him he's still very young and has time to change. And if Herm and Gun can get him to change his ways then a true monster he will be. I've heard Gun say he's probably the most gifted D-Tackle he's ever seen. He and Sands could solve a huge problem that has plagued us since we lost guys like Saleamua and Joe Phillips.

Re-sign
Tony Gonzalez
Kawika Mitchell
Jordan Black
Ron Edwards

Draft Scenario
Round 1: Levi Brown - OT - 6'5" 328 lbs out of Penn State. There seems to be a developing pipeline between State College and Arrowhead. The Chiefs are in dire need of o-tackles that can block. And Levi is a very big tackle that can block and move his feet. Smart kid, with strong leadership skills. Probably a better run blocker than a pass blocker. But does well against the pass as well. Could fill the massive void on the left side left by the sudden retirement of Willie Roaf. Team him with Leonard Davis and we could be pretty set at O-Tackle, finally.

Round 2: Robert Meachem - 6'3" 210 lbs out of Tennessee. The Samie Parker Experiment as a starter has to end. I like the Parker's speed. But he's done very little overall since being here. He looks more like Az-Hakim then Steve Smith. And as such should probably be no more than a #3 receiver. So the Chiefs need a true starter. That's where Robert Meachem comes in. Great size with mid 4.4 speed. Had a tremendous year for the Vols this year. And could certainly develop into the playmaking receiver we've always wanted but could never find. Now, Meachem is 1st round talent. But with so many guys coming out early that are in front of him, he could fall well into round 2 (at least I hope). Right now I have him behind Johnson, Jarrett, Ginn, Bowe Rice and Samardzjia.

Round 3: Johnathan Wade - CB - 6'0" 195 lbs out of Tennessee. Law and Surtain are still very good corners. But both are north of 30. Walls is probably just a one year band-aid guy. So the Chiefs don't really have very much in the way of young eventual replacements for Law and Surtain. Sapp isn't really a guy you want starting. But is a very good nickel guy. Not quite sure what to make of Marcus Maxey. I liked him coming out of The U. But seeing as how he was essentially cut twice this year (once by us, then by the Bears), it kinda puts doubts in your head of his overall potential. So the Chiefs probably should invest a 1st day pick on a corner. Wade has had a pretty good year for the Vols. Nearly prototype size with 4.45 speed. A little raw. But you won't find two better tutors in how it's done than Law and Surtain. Kid could develop into a bonafide starter on the next level.

Round 4: Traded for Michael Bennett

Round 5: Mkristo Bruce - DE - 6'6" 260 lbs out of Washington State. Wild Tamba and Jared look like they may be great bookend DE's for us. Not as great as DT and Neil were. But these two, as a tandem, are going to give offenses headaches for year. But there really isn't much behind them. Hicks is a stout run stuffer. But doesn't give much in the way of pass rushing. That's where Mkristo Bruce comes in. I believe he's had double digit sacks the past two years. From what I've read and seen, he's a lot like Jared Allen in that he's not the most athletically gifted DE in the world, but more than makes up for it with hustle. Probably won't ever be a star. But we need somebody in the event Tamba or Jared have to miss time. Very mature as I believe he is already married with a kid. Strong leader and hard worker. Plus he has a very cool name.

Round 6: Brian Smith - OLB/DE - 6'4" 230 lbs out of Missouri. I believe he holds the Mizzou record for sacks. And probably would have broken the Big 12 sack record had he not broken his hip in the K-State game. Very hard worker. Good leader. Probably a backup OLB/ST guy unless he can add a considerable about of weight. If he can add some weight, could be a pretty goo backup DE. Whichever the case, he's good at bringing heat on the QB. He could add some good depth.

Round 7: Gerald Alexander - S - 6'0" 205 lbs out of Boise State. Has had a solid career at Boise State. Started as a corner before moving to safety. Has good size and solid speed. With Knight and possibly Wesley gone, will need some depth behind The Killer P's.

UDFA
Kevin Payne S - 6'1" 220 lbs out of Lousiana-Monroe. More depth behind The Killer P's to go along with Gerald Alexander. Seems to be a tackling machine at safety. Also did some punting for the Warhawks. Started collegiate career at RB. Seems to be pretty physical.

Chaz Williams - 6'0" 190 lbs out of Louisiana-Monroe. More depth at corner. 3 year starter at CB.

Ryan Moore - WR - 6'3" 225 lbs out of Miami (4.45 40). High risk player. Had some legal issues while at The U. But had a monster Bowl Game this year. Prototype size, good speed and decent hands. Not the best blocker in the world. But has tools to be a very productive receiver if he can focus, work hard and land in a good situation. Like I said, he has some major character concerns. I believe Coker had to suspend him a couple times. But if you can keep him on the straight and narrow, he could be a good receiver.

KaneMarko
01-09-2007, 02:05 PM
I don't think we should resign Mitchell. He was good last year, but other than that has been a poor player. He doesn't fit the cover 2 and isn't worth spending any money on.

That seems to be the popular stance. But I guess I have the same question that a local radio host here just asked a little while ago: If not Mitchell then who? Is a rookie going to come in here and do any better? I guess an option is signing somebody like Adalius Thomas and put him in the middle. But he's going to be 30 and will cost more than Kawika.

My stance is Mitchell might not be the greatest MLB out there. But he may be our best option at this point. Plus, I want to see how good he does with better D-tackles in front of him. Because if you think about it, Mitchell never, at any time in his career, had consistent production from the D-Tackles in front of him.

Basileus777
01-09-2007, 02:20 PM

That seems to be the popular stance. But I guess I have the same question that a local radio host here just asked a little while ago: If not Mitchell then who? Is a rookie going to come in here and do any better? I guess an option is signing somebody like Adalius Thomas and put him in the middle. But he's going to be 30 and will cost more than Kawika.

My stance is Mitchell might not be the greatest MLB out there. But he may be our best option at this point. Plus, I want to see how good he does with better D-tackles in front of him. Because if you think about it, Mitchell never, at any time in his career, had consistent production from the D-Tackles in front of him.

Are good DTs going to prevent him from whiffing on tackles? Are they going to help him cover the middle of the field, something that is essential for a MLB in the tampa 2?

I'm not sure Grigsby or whomever we have on the roster would be a big downgrade from Mitchell at this point. Signing him wouldn't be terrible if we could get him cheaply, but Mitchell won't be hard to replace.

KaneMarko
01-09-2007, 02:42 PM

Are good DTs going to prevent him from whiffing on tackles? Are they going to help him cover the middle of the field, something that is essential for a MLB in the tampa 2?

I'm not sure Grigsby or whomever we have on the roster would be a big downgrade from Mitchell at this point. Signing him wouldn't be terrible if we could get him cheaply, but Mitchell won't be hard to replace.

Brian Urlacher whiffed on an open field tackle on Tom Brady earlier this year. Guys miss. That's no excuse. You should make the tackle when the opportunity is there. Just saying it happens to the best of them. Kawika, I believe, led the team again in tackles for the second straight year. So, eventhough he misses sometimes, he isn't missing many.

Mitchell might not be hard to replace. But how much are you willing to spend to upgrade his spot? Especially considering we need probably already need 2 new OTs, probably 2 new DTs, maybe a new guard, WR, etc. Is replacing Mitchell high enough on the list of priorities to spend a lot of money in an upgrade?

Basileus777
01-09-2007, 02:55 PM

Brian Urlacher whiffed on an open field tackle on Tom Brady earlier this year. Guys miss. That's no excuse. You should make the tackle when the opportunity is there. Just saying it happens to the best of them. Kawika, I believe, led the team again in tackles for the second straight year. So, eventhough he misses sometimes, he isn't missing many.

Mitchell might not be hard to replace. But how much are you willing to spend to upgrade his spot? Especially considering we need probably already need 2 new OTs, probably 2 new DTs, maybe a new guard, WR, etc. Is replacing Mitchell high enough on the list of priorities to spend a lot of money in an upgrade?

Would it be more expensive to replace him than to resign him? I'm not sure that is the case. I'd let him walk if for no other reason than the fact that he doesn't fit this defense. Mitchell isn't good enough in coverage to play Mike in the cover 2. And even if it would be more expensive to replace him, I'd rather pick up someone who might actually fit this defense.

There are alot of holes on this team. The entire offense already needs to be rebuilt, adding a MLB on the list of needs isn't much at this point. Its not like we will be competing for a Superbowl next year.

KaneMarko
01-09-2007, 04:06 PM

Would it be more expensive to replace him than to resign him? I'm not sure that is the case. I'd let him walk if for no other reason than the fact that he doesn't fit this defense. Mitchell isn't good enough in coverage to play Mike in the cover 2. And even if it would be more expensive to replace him, I'd rather pick up someone who might actually fit this defense.

There are alot of holes on this team. The entire offense already needs to be rebuilt, adding a MLB on the list of needs isn't much at this point. Its not like we will be competing for a Superbowl next year.

Only name other than Adailius Thomas I can think of is Donnie Edwards as a 1 or 2 year fix. But then you'll have to replace him in a year or two. Then you're back to square one.

As far as spending goes, I'd rather spend the bulk of our FA dollars on Gonzo, Jared Allen, LJ, and offensive and defensive tackles. To me, MLB isn't really a big enough problem to warrant spending a ton of money just to get Mitchell out of here. As long as Mitchell isn't asking for Urlacher or Ray Lewis money, he may be our best bet IMO. Unless you want to bring Donnie Edwards back. He may be a little cheaper. Yes, Mitchell has his issues. But to me, he isn't the biggest problem on this defense.

Also, this isn't a pure Tampa 2 defense. Yes, it has some Tampa 2 elements to it. But Gun still runs his style of defense. Which is not Tampa 2. It more of a marriage between Herm's zones and Gunthers man-to-man blitzing style. There's a reason why Gun fought so hard and defended Mitchell the past few years. Because Mitchell does have some good tools to him. Even if dropping back in the Tampa 2 isn't one of them right now. Which, by the way, is very difficult for most MLBs to do. Ray Lewis would probably have a hard time dropping back into coverage as well in the Tampa 2. Doesn't mean he's a bad LB.

Also note, this is Kawika's 3rd defensive scheme he's had to learn in 4 years. First it was Greg Robinson's wacky scheme. Then Gunther's scheme. Now Herm's. So growing pains are to be expected.

Another thing to consider is if maybe we could get more consistent pressure on the QB, particularly from our defensive interior, the natural holes in the Tampa 2 don't become so big and perhaps Mitchell looks better in coverage. Tampa 2 has holes in it by nature. All zones do. And the longer the QB can hold onto the ball the bigger those holes get. If we got more consistent pressure on the QB, maybe those holes in our zones don't look so big to the QB and perhaps Mitchell looks better because he isn't having to cover as long.

It's easy to say you'd rather spend more money to replace him. But like I said you also have to consider the money you are going to have to spend on Gonzo, LJ, Jared Allen, FA Offensive and Defensive tackles and your draft picks. What money are you going to have left over to sign an upgrade at MLB?

I'm not really trying to defend Kawika. We all know he has his issues. Just saying that as long as he's not trying to get paid like Urlacher, Lewis and Al Wilson, he may be our best bet. The perfect solution? I don't know. But it may be our best option for the amount of money we have available. Assuming he isn't wanting a small fortune.

T-RICH49
01-10-2007, 11:12 AM
I say let Tynes walk.He had one good year but other then that has been extremely inconsistent

villagewarrior
01-10-2007, 08:11 PM
I would try to resign Mitchell if it is fiscally feasible. 3 schemes in 4 years and horrible d-tackles in front of him are pretty obvious reasons for his inconsistent play. Also, he's pretty fast for a linebacker, I think he can play in the cover 2.

That being said, I don't think it would be a great shame if he walked, especially if we could replace him with a guy like Patrick Willis, who I think should absolutely be looked at if he's available when the Chiefs pick. The dude hits like a freight train and wraps up, and he's a leader. I'd like to see his fire on KC's defense.

JustJoe2k5
01-11-2007, 12:09 PM
Panthers just signed Chris Horn to a two-year contract. Do any of you guys have an opinion on him? Panthers were HORRIBLE on punt returns this season, so I was wondering if this guy was brought in to handle those duties.

eazyb81
01-11-2007, 01:44 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/16431587.htm?source=rss&channel=kansascity_kansas_city_chiefs

Croyle getting ready to play next year.

BPhilb
01-11-2007, 05:14 PM

I read that this morning also. Really, I'm not to concerned. In Edwards system we can get by with a game manager and not necissarily a game changing type of player. He will have his bumps along the way, but defense and running the ball will dictate our success.

T-RICH49
01-11-2007, 07:02 PM
did CP say if he's started talks with TG?Just curious

villagewarrior
01-11-2007, 10:19 PM
did CP say if he's started talks with TG?Just curious

I don't know either way, but I have to imagine that he has. I've heard some talk that TG will get the franchise tag, so I believe they've probably been talking.

eazyb81
01-12-2007, 08:20 AM

I read that this morning also. Really, I'm not to concerned. In Edwards system we can get by with a game manager and not necissarily a game changing type of player. He will have his bumps along the way, but defense and running the ball will dictate our success.

I'm not worried at all; actually, i'm thrilled. This team is going nowhere with an aging QB like Green, the sooner we go with youth the better off we will be.

KaneMarko
01-12-2007, 09:43 AM
It would appear that Gonzo and the Chiefs have agreed in principle on a 5 year extension:

http://kcchiefs.com/news/2007/01/12/chiefs_and_gonzalez_agree_in_principle_to_a_fiveye ar_contract_extension/

T-RICH49
01-12-2007, 10:31 AM
I like it for no other reason then it allows us to franchise Jared Allen and lock him up to a long term deal

KaneMarko
01-12-2007, 03:34 PM
Actually, the Chiefs don't have to franchise Jared this year. He's a RFA. The only thing the Chiefs have to do is tender him a 1 year offer of some kind. Another team would have to compensate us with at least one draft choice to get him from us.

KaneMarko
01-12-2007, 03:35 PM
By the way, Lance Briggs, the outstanding OLB for the Bears, is an UFA this offseason. If the Bears don't re-sign him, I think the Chiefs may want to target this kid. He's an amazing young ASCENDING linebacker. Would look good with an Arrowhead on his helmet playing opposite of DJ.

villagewarrior
01-13-2007, 01:22 PM
Free agency is not the way to go right now. I'm telling you guys, this team is extremely old, and needs to build through the draft.

AZ9er
01-13-2007, 08:24 PM
i think he resign mitchell, and expand the youth on defense in the draft and pick up OT in second or thrird round..and meachem in the 2nd round if he is there. I think a sleeper pick might be aundrae allison at wr or kareem brown from the u in the third round if available. but im waiting for the combine to make my HOPEFUL WISH LIST. (except id love meachem and id love to get aaron ross 1st round). Hit or miss dt's and ots early yah know.

villagewarrior
01-13-2007, 09:39 PM
I'm not sure about receivers in the first round, I think the good ones will be gone by then, and I'm just not sure about Meachem/Bowe/etc. Of course, that's mostly from my own ignorance about those players. If anyone would like to enlighten me, be my guest.

I think the trenches should be addressed early and often. If Patrick Willis is available in the 1st, I would have to think long and hard about him. And if a guy like Rufus Alexander was available when the Chiefs picked in the 3rd, or maybe even 2nd, I'd have to think about him too.

What would you guys think about a guy like Marcus McCauley in the first? Ty Law and Patrick Surtain will not be around for much longer.

Ho0k Em'
01-14-2007, 12:15 AM
I'm not sure about receivers in the first round, I think the good ones will be gone by then, and I'm just not sure about Meachem/Bowe/etc. Of course, that's mostly from my own ignorance about those players. If anyone would like to enlighten me, be my guest.

I think the trenches should be addressed early and often. If Patrick Willis is available in the 1st, I would have to think long and hard about him. And if a guy like Rufus Alexander was available when the Chiefs picked in the 3rd, or maybe even 2nd, I'd have to think about him too.

What would you guys think about a guy like Marcus McCauley in the first? Ty Law and Patrick Surtain will not be around for much longer.

I'm a HUGE Meachem fan. I like him better than Jarrett. I truly think that the only thing Jarrett has on Meachem is size(2 in.) and maybe body control. Meachem has better speed, runs better routes, has better hands, and is better after the catch. I'm coming around on the Patrick Willis idea, but he's really the only ILB i'd like over Kawika. I would take McCauley in the 3rd. I'm not a fan of taking someone purely on physical attributes. He is not very good at all he was burned repeatedly at the beggining of the season(which was the only times I saw him).

AZ9er
01-14-2007, 09:06 PM
i think
we should go

1. D Back
2. WR
3. best avail DT or OT
4. BEst Avail OT or DT
6. WR
7. ILB zak deossie if he is there..i seen him play he is smart

AZ9er
01-14-2007, 09:11 PM
1. Aaaron Ross or Josh Wilson
2. Meachem or Lee higgins
3. kareem brown or mebane
4. marten free or julius wilson
6. jacoby jones or roderick rodgers safty from wisconsin if available or paul solia

this is pending we sign mitchell

T-RICH49
01-15-2007, 12:18 AM
RD 1. Amobi Okoye or Levi Brown
RD 2. Aaron Ross or Craig Davis
RD 3. Johnnie Lee Higgins or Brandon Mebane(sp?)
RD 5. Mason Crosby
RD 6. BPA
RD 6. BPA
RD 7. BPA

villagewarrior
01-15-2007, 03:16 AM
RD 5. Mason Crosby
RD 6. BPA
RD 6. BPA
RD 7. BPA

You wanna draft a kicker?

T-RICH49
01-15-2007, 08:59 AM
RD 5. Mason Crosby
RD 6. BPA
RD 6. BPA
RD 7. BPA

You wanna draft a kicker?

if we can't sign a new on via FA yeah.Tynes is god awful

Blatz
01-15-2007, 11:01 AM
I'm new here, but here's my early mock draft:

1. Levi Brown OT Penn St.
2. Marcus Monk WR Arkansas
3. Kareem Brown DT Miami
5. Jay Alford DT Penn St.
6. Quinton Culberson MLB Miss. St.
6. John Talley CB Duke
7. James Pinkney QB Eastern Carolina

BPhilb
01-15-2007, 11:48 AM
It's looking more and more like a change at QB is coming. Edwards fired Terry Shea today as quarterbacks coach and says he wants to rewrite the playbook to be even more of a power run team with a more verticle passing attack. When doing mock drafts I would include a RB or FB in the middle to late rounds as I imagine they are going to have to get another body to take a pounding besides Johnson and I don't think Bennet will be that guy.

eazyb81
01-15-2007, 12:04 PM
Levi Brown seems like a no-brainer if he is available in the 1st, but if he is gone I wouldn't be surprised to see us go with a vertical WR threat like Sidney Rice or Teddy Ginn. The running game is never going to open up like it should if teams stack 8 in the box because they have no respect for our wideouts.

As much as I want Amobi Okoye in the middle of our D-line, I just don't see how we can avoid using the 1st pick to help the offense.

eazyb81
01-15-2007, 12:05 PM
It's looking more and more like a change at QB is coming. Edwards fired Terry Shea today as quarterbacks coach and says he wants to rewrite the playbook to be even more of a power run team with a more verticle passing attack. When doing mock drafts I would include a RB or FB in the middle to late rounds as I imagine they are going to have to get another body to take a pounding besides Johnson and I don't think Bennet will be that guy.

Why don't you think Bennett can be that guy? Didn't we give up a 3rd or 4th round pick for him just a few months ago when Herm was the coach?

villagewarrior
01-15-2007, 12:33 PM
I think Nate Ilaoa the fullback from Hawaii would be an interesting player. I'm not sure how good of a blocker he is, but he is quite a dynamo out of the backfield.

Another late round guy I could see the Chiefs taking a shot at is Paul Thompson. I could really see the Chiefs going a Pittsburgh route with a big, physical running game and versatile wide receivers.

As for Tynes, I don't think we should judge him on one bad kick. Sure, missign a 23 yard field goal is inexcusable, and competition should be brought in for training camp, but I don't think you spend a valuable draft pick on a kicker.

AZ9er
01-15-2007, 04:51 PM
**** im losing sleep over the first two picks(im still thinking we are going to re-sign Mitchell): I think defense/defense

1. Amobi Okoye
2. Josh Wilson
3. Dough Free or Ryan Harris
5. Jason Hill or Johhnie Lee Higgins
6. Turk McBride
7. Le'Ron McClain or matt Trannon

BPhilb
01-15-2007, 11:03 PM
Why don't you think Bennett can be that guy? Didn't we give up a 3rd or 4th round pick for him just a few months ago when Herm was the coach?

It's been 4 years since he's stayed healthy all year. I like Bennet, but if we had to give him the load I don't think he would hold up and even if he does he doesn't exactly fit the profile of what we are trying to do on offense. I'm thinking if Michael Bush is available in the 3rd round he will be in KC. I would also look at Brian Leonard in round 2 as a possibilty. I'm not saying I exactly agree with this, but it wouldn't suprise me to see us go in this direction.

For everyone wanting to draft a reciever with the first pick, just remember that recievers rarely ever produce in year 1 and it's doubtful that anyone is going to be availalbe at 23 that is going to command a double team in year 1. This is a deep reciever draft and we should get some young talent later, but I imagine we will be hitting the FA route to fill some of our void.

justified83
01-16-2007, 01:45 AM
i would like the chiefs to pick up some youth on the offensive line in the first round, personally. No matter how great wiiegeman and shields play the fact is that they are old. Levi Brown and Justin Blalock look like decent prospects. We need a replacement for that god awful tackle we call jordan black. we can use the later rounds to pick up some skill position players. This draft is full of wide reciever talent and shouldn't be wasted on a early pick unless it is ted gin = )

yourfavestoner
01-16-2007, 01:51 AM
i would like the chiefs to pick up some youth on the offensive line in the first round, personally. No matter how great wiiegeman and shields play the fact is that they are old. Levi Brown and Justin Blalock look like decent prospects. We need a replacement for that god awful tackle we call jordan black. we can use the later rounds to pick up some skill position players. This draft is full of wide reciever talent and shouldn't be wasted on a early pick unless it is ted gin = )

OSU homer :wink: